Windows Support Forum

PC laggy and sluggish when connecting additional hard drives

Q: PC laggy and sluggish when connecting additional hard drives

Hey guys weird problem here The TB internal drive in my PC started slowly dying in December and my brother got me an SSD additional and connecting when laggy hard drives PC sluggish for Christmas I installed it and it works amazing flawlessly and I love it When I attempted to make my old dying drive a secondary hard drive Windows PC laggy and sluggish when connecting additional hard drives recognized it fine despite the SATA connection broken off and I was able to salvage what I wanted from it The speed of the transfer was blazing and I was pretty happy but I noticed Windows getting insanely laggy and sluggish The mouse would stop moving every few inches and the keyboard would stop responding Instead of normal lag such as me typing this sentence nothing happening and then it appearing in full a few seconds later when the lag would catch up it would be a jumble of letters For example if I typed quot wow my computer is going slow right now quot it would come out quot wom mpui gin sright n quot That s a new type of lag for me as my PC has never had issues I assumed this was due to the death of the drive and Windows having problems recognizing it or reading it Sure enough when I disconnected it everything ran smoothly I have an iOmega TB external drive LDHD-UP - don t judge it was on sale that I m not too fond of but I use regularly for storage and backup I usually have it plugged into the back of my PC and this presents a whole other issue which I need another thread for but I ve dealt with it fine and it normally works all right However I found out it s USB compatible and my PC has outlets on the top so I wanted to keep it plugged into there But when I do that I experience that exact same type of lag as before when the internal hard drive was plugged in It s persistent and near-constant but it stops the second I turn off the hard drive I ve disabled antivirus I ve ran disckchecks I ve formatted none of it makes a difference Does anyone know what would be causing this with separate hard drives connected in completely different ways Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: PC laggy and sluggish when connecting additional hard drives

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: PC laggy and sluggish when connecting additional hard drives

I don't know the answer but will comment about the issue of lag in typing. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse and I know when the batteries need replacing because the keyboard behaves exactly like yours and the mouse stops moving the cursor properly. Maybe your issue's connected with the power being drawn when you have the two drives connected. Don't rush out and upgrade your psu though. I only switch on my usb external hard drive for the occasions I need it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-laggy-and-sluggish-when-connecting-additional-hard-drives.207975/
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi I ve currently have seagates hard drives running in my computer as well as CDRW DVDRW drives The only problem with this is that now i am unable to connect any additional additional Hard Card add PCI to drives drives to my mother board as I ve used all the free IDE slots i think PCI Card to add additional Hard drives thats what it is called in my motherboard Someone told me about some sort of PCI card that if i connect it to my computer it would give me additional PCI Card to add additional Hard drives IDE Slots and that i could PCI Card to add additional Hard drives easily connect another large hard drive or additional drives to Please can anyone let me know the name of this type of card or any good brands that i could use I really need to add an additional gig hard drive to free up some space on my system for downloads etc I ve tried searching on google for it but was unsure about the results as the majority seemed to be for mac and i need it to run on my windows xp system any advise would be much appriciated thank you nbsp

A:PCI Card to add additional Hard drives

First you should check to see if your motherboard has any Serial ATA ports. If it does then you can get a SATA hard drive.

Or you can get an external USB drive.

If not then this is the card you are looking for: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816102007

Or to add SATA ports: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815102102

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pci-card-to-add-additional-hard-drives.445495/
Relevancy 75.25%

I have a problem on my Windows machine that I can't Additional Hard Drives Inaccessable figure out The system has hard drives TB and GB a quad core AMD Phenom GB of RAM an Asus Mobo and a Thermaltake W PSU I had everything up and running for a few weeks and now my two TB drives don't show up in explorer The other drives are working well The only thing I Additional Hard Drives Inaccessable did was move the PC into another room I shut down switched off the PSU and then unplugged it All Additional Hard Drives Inaccessable HDDs show in the BIOS and in Disk Management In DM the two problem drives do not have drive letters and the option to assign is grayed our In fact all options except delete and help are inop I have run the WD disk tool and Spinrite and neither has found any problems with the drives I have also disconnected and shuffled the power and SATA cables disconnecting the good s to see if it was a power problem - no help As a near last resort I slicked my system drive and installed a fresh W Same problem I'm hoping that there is some alternative to formatting them and loosing TB of data Any ideas

A:Additional Hard Drives Inaccessable

Quote: Originally Posted by roar76

I have a problem on my Windows 7 machine that I can't figure out. The system has 5 hard drives (2 1TB and 3 500GB), a quad core AMD Phenom, 4GB of RAM, an Asus Mobo, and a Thermaltake 500W PSU.

I had everything up and running for a few weeks and now my two 1TB drives don't show up in explorer. The other 3 drives are working well. The only thing I did was move the PC into another room. I shut down, switched off the PSU and then unplugged it.

All HDDs show in the BIOS and in Disk Management. In DM the two problem drives do not have drive letters and the option to assign is grayed our. In fact all options except delete and help are inop.

I have run the WD disk tool and Spinrite and neither has found any problems with the drives. I have also disconnected and shuffled the power and SATA cables, disconnecting the good 500s to see if it was a power problem - no help.

As a near last resort, I slicked my system drive and installed a fresh W7. Same problem.

I'm hoping that there is some alternative to formatting them and loosing 1.5TB of data.

Any ideas?

All you need to do is to use a third party app like paragon disk suite to assign a drive letter.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/74423-additional-hard-drives-inaccessable.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Hey guys, I am going to replace or add an additional hard drive to my existing one and I am wondering if I should be looking for a certain type of hard drive or if any of them will do the job.
Thanks

A:Do all additional hard drives work on all computers?

what is the make and model of your computer?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/do-all-additional-hard-drives-work-on-all-computers.142205/
Relevancy 74.39%

G'day,

I have just done a clean install of Win 7 Pro 64bit on my PC after doing some upgrades...... It was a nightmare to get it even to install for some reason.....

For some reason, every time i log on, i get the message "Warning! No additional hard drives available for migration"

I have no idea how to eradicate the problem! I have googled and searched for the answer to no avail. It goes as soon as i click OK, but it is just irritating!

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?

PC Specs are:

Intel: i7 3930K
M/B: Gigabyte G1 Assassin 2
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengence
HDD: 2 x 120GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID0 (OS and some games)
HDD: 2 x 600GB Velociraptor in RAID0 (Main program location)

Vid: Gigabyte 580GTX

A:Error on Log in: No additional hard drives available for migration

Hello,

Start your PC in safe mode and see if the error comes up then. It is probably a program starting when your PC turns on which is causing the error.

Enter Safe mode by pressing "F8" when the computer is starting up (Before Windows Starts) and select Safe Mode.

If you dont get the message then it will be a startup program or service. Let us know how you get on.
Dave

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/215832-error-log-no-additional-hard-drives-available-migration.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi , I have set up a verton to test differnet hard drives , however when I connect different hard drives they power up but not recognised by the computer ? I check in Bios but dont see them either yet  the hard drives are Good ?Also I would like to speed this machine up . I appreciate its an older machine , but to me its exceptiuonally slow can anyone give me some pointers please ... I am running windows 7 ultimate and have to meg of RAM  also I not the hard drive has two partions . one for the operating system and also one for data ... this shows as two hard drives when I look ( C and D )    ... Is this correct ?     If anyone would like to give me some pointers and share their experience , it would be appreciated  Kind regards in advance .. Paul 

http://community.acer.com/t5/Veriton/Additional-hard-drives-not-recognized-on-veriton/td-p/456504
Relevancy 73.53%

this question was asked b4, but i don't see that it was ever answered... any help is appreciated..

I have an extra internal hard drive that I installed and it is in NTFS format and I click on "sharing" on the properties tab, the "make this and all subfolders private" box, is blocked from clicking on it. What can I do to make this option unblocked so that I can make folders private in this extra interal hard drive?

thanks in advance...

Relevancy 73.53%

I recently had to reinstall Windows XP on my C: drive due to a crash. I had a 60G internal F: drive and a 160G external G: drive. After reinstalling the OS, my additional drives are no longer recognized. They show as unformatted and are not accessible. The whole reason for having them was in case the C: drive crashed. Now what? How can I restore these drives to be used without reformatting them?

Relevancy 72.67%

Pretty much what the title says.
I have a few hard drives (E, F, G), with a lot of data and programs installed on them, connected to my computer right now. Would I have to format them if I decide to re-install Windows on the system?

A:Would reinstalling Windows 7 require formatting of additional hard drives?

Hi-

In Short- No. However, it is always recommended to physically disconnect all other drives besides the one you are installing on. Also, if the drive that you are reinstalling on has multiple partitions, MAKE SURE that you choose the right one when reinstalling windows.

Also, just so you know, to do a full reinstall, choose "custom install" in the menu from the windows install disk. Also note that a reinstall will mean that you have to reinstall all programs that you currently have.

Regards,

Mark

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/would-reinstalling-windows-7-require-formatting-of-additional-hard-drives-632859.html
Relevancy 72.24%

My system has been running fine for quite some time I m running Vista Ultimate on an ASUS P ND -SLI mobo I just picked up new GB SATA drives to use for data storage RAID My OS will remain as is on a single non-raid drive I hooked up the two SATA drives and followed the instructions from my ASUS user guide With the BIOS I as RAID array of part Vista doesn't my additional see drives a hard enabled RAID and selected the drives With the NVIDIA Raid Utility I set up the RAID array as Mirrored and selected the drives It seemed to go well But Vista does not recognize the two drives as a RAID array It shows two distinct drives this was with the Vista Disk Management Vista doesn't see my additional hard drives as part of a RAID array Util and with Device Manager as well I called ASUS and got someone on the phone fairly quickly although they informed me that I had done everything correctly so this must be a Vista issue According to the ASUS rep I do NOT need RAID drivers for Vista because the OS is not installed on the array Any ideas Vista doesn't see my additional hard drives as part of a RAID array Thanks for any help -Andy nbsp

A:Vista doesn't see my additional hard drives as part of a RAID array

I would use the bios utilty to delete the array and re-create it.

Asus rep is wrong me thinks, you do need the raid drivers for the mirror to be seen correctly by the OS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-doesnt-see-my-additional-hard-drives-as-part-of-a-raid-array.734250/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hello guys, for a really odd reason, I keep feeling laggyness. Like whenever I'm in desktop and I start selecting items, I see the blue box kind of have delays. I have two screens, so I can multitask with the windows. However, I notice that it has delays whenever I maximize the window or make it fit the side. I've recently got my new parts and it was running perfectly in the beginning. But now I start to see these flaws.

My specs are:
AMD FX 4350 @ 4.20ghz, did not OC
Rip jaws, 8gb ram,
500gb harddrive + 260 harddrive
Asus M5A97 LE R2.0
750W PSU
msi gtx 560

I mean, these aren't the best parts but I am certain that it suppose to run better without those flaws. I ran spyware checks, were normal. My memory is not anywhere full.Please help!

A:Why does it feel sluggish and laggy?

Let's take a look at your system temperatures. Follow this guide here:

How to check your system temperatures | Tech Support Forum

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/why-does-it-feel-sluggish-and-laggy-890265.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I've got a Toshiba A10 laptop that has recently fallen victim to several hardware issues, and instead of paying to fix it, I've decided to throw it out... but, I have information (several GBs) on the harddrive of the a10 that I would like to transfer to my desktop. Both have Windows Xp with identical updates, and the a10 can boot without difficulty and can transfer data, though anything else takes forever to accomplish because the fan is dead and the system compensates for the failure by slowing it down immensely. Can I connect the harddrives somehow? or any other methods will suffice? (burning CDs takes forever and my flash-drive is missing)

A:Connecting Two Hard Drives

https://www.wiredco.com/catalog/pro...d=130&osCsid=aefb4fd8132be3ab1fc11c9efa06a09b

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connecting-two-hard-drives.86298/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hey. Last time I looked into this, it wasn't possible, but I thought I'd see if maybe technology has changed.

I have this motherboard:
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=158

I was wondering if there was a way to hook up 3 hard drives and 2 CD-ROM drives. I have a DVD-ROM and a DVD-RW, and I also have 3 IDE hard Drives. Is there a way to hook all this up at once? I read a little about this board having something called SATA capability. How does this work, and can I use my IDE drive on this port (with some sort of adapter or something)?

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks.

Relevancy 66.22%

I had a hard drive failure and bought a new Segate SATA Internal Hard Drive. As you can see it works fine. But I cannot get my second Western Digitial EIDE Hard Drive recognized. It has no operating system just ALL my personal files and stuff. I have tried every configuration I can think of with no luck. Any help greatelt appreciated!!

A:Connecting two different hard drives

Try turning on legacy IDE support in your BIOS. ACHI: IDE

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-two-different-hard-drives.753943/
Relevancy 66.22%

I have an internal controller card which I have always used to connect optical drives but from what I just read Quote Today the best way of providing support for up to eight IDE ATA devices four channels is through the addition of one of these PCI-based cards Doing so allows you the use of four channels while taking only three Connecting drives Hard IRQs two by the original motherboard channels and one for the card Support for the card is provided through a driver provided by the maker of the card As an additional bonus these cards usually support the latest Ultra DMA transfer modes and support for large hard disks as well If you have an older system the best way to go is to put the hard disks on the add-in card to get support for high-speed transfers and then use the motherboard's channels for slower ATAPI devices And as if that weren't enough these cards cost under IDE ATA Channels and Resource Usage I'm probably going to change that and connect the hard drives to it instead at least two of them since my controller card only has two connectors The reason that I'm posting this is just that I want confirmation that this info is accurate and up to date

A:Connecting Hard drives

Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister

I'm probably going to change that, and connect the hard drives to it instead...at least two of them, since my controller card only has two connectors. The reason that I'm posting this, is just that I want confirmation that this info is accurate and up to date?

The information on that page was last updated in 2004. I would not rely on it. Hard drives do not rely on IDE anymore but SATA which function much differently. You do not need to worry about whether you have enough IRQs available or worry about channels, master/slave, or anything like that.

Unless your PC is still running off of all IDE drives. And then it comes down to whether those cards are even made anymore.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/161930-connecting-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Can two IDE hard drives be connected together in one desktop computer and configured so that one can read off of another if both have Windows installed on them? Is it just a matter of how you configure the jumpers? How will it know which to boot into?

Relevancy 65.36%

After using Norton Ghost on an old but good hard Drive , I put it into my Dell (Windows xp) computer, unplugging the cables from the existing drive, but I got a black screen "apologising" and suggesting that there may be new hardware (they are right.) It gave me various options to start Windows. Neither worked, merely putting me back into that screen.

I tried another hard drive and this time, got a black screen with the cursor at the top.

I thought that if the cables were the same (nothing has changed except the drives), it would simply read from the different disc, just like putting another tape into my player.

Please help and please keep it simple, thank you in advance.

sincerely Alan

A:Connecting Different Hard Drives that will not Boot

From your post I assume you cloned a drive from one system and you are installing it in another; is that correct?

If so, you cannot do that unless both system have the same chipset on the mb. It will not boot. There is a procedure to follow to get the system to boot with a new / different mb, however it must be done in the old system.

Now your only option is a repair install.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-different-hard-drives-that-will-not-boot.435367/
Relevancy 65.36%

I now have one hard drive on the end plug of the first ribbon cable and one CD-RW on the end plug of the second ribbon cable The floppy drive is on its own cable I Connecting multiple hard drives want to install the hard drive from my previous computer Connecting multiple hard drives into my present computer Athlon Mhz temporarily just long Connecting multiple hard drives enough to copy some files from the old drive to the new one Yesterday after several tries I eventually managed to totally disable my computer Using a rescue disk and reinstalling Windows Me I eventually got it back in operation I m ready to try again but I d like to get it right this time The previous computer is gone so joining it to the new one by data cable is not an option even if I knew how I now know enough to set the jumper on the old hard drive to quot slave quot but I am still unsure which drives go on which plugs Also must I do anything to the quot master quot drive jumpers If I m forgetting something else please let me know Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

ok i have had some troubles with drives rom QUICK help connecting my cd and need hard booting cause my hard drives were mixed up os i unplugged drived and left just one that i m installing windows on i m not into these things much so bare with my possible mistakes right now i have the following connected like this i m reading from my bios ide channel master wd js --- gt wester digital sata gb disk partitioned on one of gb which has windows on it and other gb which has stuff like music on it need QUICK help connecting my hard drives and cd rom ide channel master pioneer dvd-rw --- gt my pioneer dvd rw is this ok and can i leave it at that cuz need QUICK help connecting my hard drives and cd rom it works for now i am now going to plug in another disk gb which is empty the only thing i can connect it to is ide channel slave all of my cables are mixed up and i can only get this cable to this hard disk is this ok next one more disk non sata gb blank seagate i can only connect it to ide channel slave once again cause the cables are all mixed up is that ok so afterwards it will look like this ide channel master wd js --- gt wester digital sata gb disk partitioned on one of gb which has windows on it and other gb which has stuff like music on it ide channel master pioneer dvd-rw --- gt my pioneer dvd rw ide channel slave empty gb ide hard disk ide channel slave empty gb ide hard disk can those settings work will windows still want to boot after i connect these two drives i really don t get this slave master things so help me out if you can thanks nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

I currently have all western digital drives On the mother board A gig master w slave present partitioned as a and another A gig slave Off of my Adaptec PCI ATA controller A gig master w slave present A gig slave This is off connecting XP. 6 Issues drives on hard with of one cable on one of the connections on my ATA card This set up works perfect and my system runs great I purchased another pair of gig drives thinking I could connect them to the other open connection on my ATA drive The problem Issues with connecting 6 hard drives on XP. When I connect the two new gig drives I see them in the boot up display but windows will NEVER start I get the windows loading page with the windows logo and the blue professional progress bar but do not see no activity on my hard drive light or hear the master gig drive doing anything Just unhooking the two new drives and it works like a charm Why do I need this is not Issues with connecting 6 hard drives on XP. the question as I like keeping windows on its own partition and programs on the other partition The other drives are for pictures videos music and odds and ends all separated I am going nuts with this and I have tried all different cables with the slave master cable select in every different position possible Thanks in advance for any help Dan Mac AIM DanMcBoost email protected nbsp

A:Issues with connecting 6 hard drives on XP.

Umm, bump.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/issues-with-connecting-6-hard-drives-on-xp.420703/
Relevancy 65.36%

Specs/Info:
Dell N5110 laptop
Memory (RAM): 6 gigs
Processor: Intel Core i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10Ghz

A few weeks ago, or maybe months now, my computer was fine. It ran smoothly, not much lag in games (can't ask much from an i3 apparently?), etc.

Now, however, web pages take forever to load and games almost 95% of the time have lag that makes them unplayable. My internet connection seems to be fine, unless that is the problem. Also, apparently i3 is, well, bad? Anyway, my computer is a lot slower, and I've no idea why. Any suggestions, tips, help D:?

A:[SOLVED] Computer sluggish - Games laggy.

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Did this just randomly come up?

Try following this: Is your PC running slow...?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-computer-sluggish-games-laggy-671893.html
Relevancy 65.36%

So after my problems with "Computer suddenly restarts", I decide to reformat all of my harddrive and install a fresh copy of WinXP.

Well, I installed it and the error is thankfully gone now, but now my computer is slow and sluggish. Example, I click on START and the menu appears slowly. I minimize a window and maximize it, it's laggy when it shows the window coming back up. Not cool at all.

Computer specs:
MSI Motherboard - PT880 Neo-LSR
Samsung Harddrive - 200GB
Two RAM sticks, both 512 MB (equals to 1024 MB/1GB)
Video Card - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
DVD Drive - Samsung SP2014N
Oh, and a Pentium 4 Processor

Help please?

A:Fresh install seems incredibly laggy/sluggish

More than likely you need to reinstall your drivers...unless you already did that. Let us know if you haven't and we will help you find them.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/fresh-install-seems-incredibly-laggy-sluggish-121809.html
Relevancy 64.93%

is it possible to connect three external hard drives thru one usb socket and if it is, what connector do I need

A:connecting external hard drives to laptop

Something like that? Check on power arrangements. Some expanders are powered externally, some only by the PC. And choose appropriately for USB2/3 and be very careful about appropriate cables for USB3.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/50269-connecting-external-hard-drives-laptop.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi We have hard SATA to PC...? Connecting IDE drives existing a PC here with a fried motherboard and the replacement is going to take a few days to arrive In the meantime we desperately Connecting SATA hard drives to existing IDE PC...? need to get the user s data off the hard drives Sod s law the user hasn t been backing up and the data is essential This PC is the only one we have with SATA hard drives I ve bought a Q-Tec SA Serial ATA PCI Card Apparently in theory if I fit this to another PC with IDE I can then plug the SATA drives in and backup the data on them If I can do this at least I can then set the user up on a spare PC until his new mobo arrives I m just a Connecting SATA hard drives to existing IDE PC...? bit nervous about actually doing this I ve never done anything more complicated than swapping hard drives or installing RAM and graphics cards and the like I ve hooked up laptop hard drives to desktops to remove data but that was straightforward plug em in via an adaptor cable and they worked straight away The guy in the shop I bought the card from said that it should work fine it shouldn t damage the hard drive or any of the data on it but he wasn t sure He said it ll work great for connecting a brand new SATA drive to another PC but wasn t completely sure about connecting an existing drive from another PC to remove the data I ve contacted Q-Tec via email but their standard response time is hours I can t find a telephone number to call and ask them and the user is desperate to get this data off a s a p So should this be a straightforward process Can I be reasonably sure that if I hook everything up together it won t mess up the hard drives If anyone has any advice to offer I d be very grateful Thanks nbsp

A:Connecting SATA hard drives to existing IDE PC...?

It should be very easy. First install the sata card into the working system. Install the drivers and make sure the device is installed correctly in device manager. Next shutdown and connect the drive. Note you will need a power adapter for the drive since sata and ide use different power plugs. The one exception to this is a WD drive; it has both power plugs on the back of the drive. If it is one of these, DO NOT use both plugs. Just install one power plug.

Once the drive is installed and power is connected to it, restart the system. You should see the drive in explorer / my computer; copy whatever you want.

The only problem you might have is some bios [ami] like to reset the boot device. If you have a problem, enter the bios and make sure the system still is set to boot from the original ide drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-sata-hard-drives-to-existing-ide-pc.400862/
Relevancy 64.07%

ok i have had some troubles with booting cause my hard drives were mixed up os i unplugged drived and left just one that i m installing windows on i m not into these things much so bare with my possible mistakes right now i have the following connected like this i m reading from my bios ide channel master wd js --- gt wester digital sata gb disk partitioned on one of gb which has windows on it and other gb which has stuff like music on it ide channel master pioneer dvd-rw --- gt my pioneer dvd rw is this ok and can i leave it at that cuz it works for now i am now going to plug in another disk gb which is empty the only thing i can connect it to QUICK connecting hard rom; and drives slave/master my need help cd is ide channel slave all of my cables are mixed up and i can only get this cable to this hard disk is this ok next one more disk non sata gb blank seagate i can only connect it to ide channel slave once again cause the cables are all mixed up is that ok so afterwards it will look like this ide channel master wd js --- gt wester digital sata gb disk partitioned on one of gb which has windows on it and other gb which has stuff like music on it ide channel master pioneer dvd-rw --- gt my pioneer dvd rw ide channel slave empty gb ide hard disk ide channel slave empty gb ide hard disk can those settings work will windows still want to boot after i connect these two drives need QUICK help connecting my hard drives and cd rom; slave/master i really don t get this slave master things so help me out if you can thanks nbsp

A:need QUICK help connecting my hard drives and cd rom; slave/master

I'm pretty sure Windows will fail to boot after you connect an IDE hard drive. The problem being that IDE are enumerated before SATA. Windows thinks that is on hd0, then suddenly it wakes up as being run off hd2. It won't boot.

Install Windows with everything connected.

No idea if you can fix existing Windows with anything but a repair install..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-quick-help-connecting-my-hard-drives-and-cd-rom-slave-master.48517/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hey all,
I have an HP laptop and was wondering if there is a way to hook up additional desktop speakers (without disabling the internal speakers). I can hook up the additional speakers to the laptop's output port, but that disables the internal ones. Basically, I want a total of four speakers instead of two. I don't know if this will help for the situation, but I have attatched the TSG SysInfo.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3893 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1722 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 290646 MB, Free - 176681 MB; D: Total - 14293 MB, Free - 2363 MB; E: Total - 99 MB, Free - 95 MB;
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 1425, 54.26, CNF0256WH0
Antivirus: Norton Security Suite, Updated and Enabled

Thanks,
Jason

A:Connecting additional speakers to laptop

Not that I'm aware.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-additional-speakers-to-laptop.999139/
Relevancy 58.48%

I have broadband, using a Huawei MT 841 ADSL modem.

I am using the USB port for my Desktop (running Win 98SE).

The modem had ethernet ports too.

Is there any way I can connect a laptop (running XP-SP2) via the ethernet port, without having to give my userid & password ?

Of course, I will connect to the net from my PC.

Thanks.

A:Connecting an additional node to my modem

Yes, you can connect the laptop no problem. There is no way you will get any internet connectivity though

Your only (usable) options are:
- Connect the laptop to the desktop using ethernet and set up ICS on the desktop
- Buy a router and connect that to the ethernet port on the modem. Computers connect to the LAN ports on the router.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connecting-an-additional-node-to-my-modem.81691/
Relevancy 55.9%

I've recently reinstalled Win bit to my Mushkin enhanced Deluxe gb SSD This drive had a missing MBR I was finally able to reformat it and install additional Drives Boot Windows stalls when Sata adding Windows after changing the boot to Legacy Only in the Windows Boot stalls when adding additional Sata Drives Gigabyte BIOS After installing all the updated drivers and video drivers in the new install I turned to re-connecting all the other HDs in my build that were there before the original problem occurred These drives are a combination of SATA II and SATA III and worked fine on this build before my MBR problem That's when the boot of windows stalled I Windows Boot stalls when adding additional Sata Drives the tried connecting one at a time There are additional internal HDS with the same results The BIOS Windows Boot stalls when adding additional Sata Drives did see the one additional drive I reconnected on the second try When I go back to the single drve everything is fine at boot I even changed the boot back to UEFI and Legacy thinking that was the cause of the problem I'm at a loss to understand why these drives don't function in this my second installation of Windows in this build Some System Info Operating System Microsoft Windows Home Premium -bit SP CPU AMD A A C Trinity nm Technology RAM GB Dual-Channel DDR MHz - - - Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd F A X-UP P C Graphics ASUS VS x Hz MB AMD Radeon HD D Dual Graphics ATI MB AMD Radeon HD XFX Pine Group CrossFire Disabled Hard Drives GB TOSHIBA MKNSSDCR GB-DX SATA Disk Device SSD C Optical Drives TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S N SATA CdRom Device Audio Realtek High Definition Audio I also have two External drives connected with no problems at boot If the BIOS saw one of those drives how come even that one additional drive causes Windows to flake out

A:Windows Boot stalls when adding additional Sata Drives

Well mate the only thing I can think of at the moment is to check the Device Manager and see if they are there and any error triangles alongside.

Perhaps you need to update the driver s these particular drives and personally I use the manufacturers for that as I am not a fan of the Windows feature.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/328450-windows-boot-stalls-when-adding-additional-sata-drives.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Recently I formatted all the hard drives on my Gateway MX6214 Notebook computer.

When I attempt to install Windows XP it says the Setup cannot continue because no hard drives were found.

Obviously, the hard drives are in working condition because I also checked with some bootable diagnostic tools and the hard drives are check. But now it seems the "internal?" drivers on the hard drives have also been deleted during the format, so WINXP cannot recognize during installation. Same goes for installation of the OS Ubuntu =/

I do not have the original diagnostic cd that came with the notebook.

Are there any solutions anyone can point me towards?

A:Formatted Hard Drives, Trying to install Windows XP but no recognition of hard drives

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/formatted-hard-drives-trying-to-install-windows-xp-but-no-recognition-of-hard-drives.727410/
Relevancy 53.75%

i am going home for winter break and i wanted to take over some videos i had on my hard drive, but the problem is that it is an internal hard drive, and i want to be able to transfer the data to a laptop. Is there a way that you can turn an internal hard drive into an external hard drive? Or is there a piece of hardware that will alow me to do this?

Relevancy 53.75%

Hi,
I currently have 2 PATA hard drives installed in my system that both run off the same IDE ribbon cable. My MSI MS-7184 motherboard has 2 SATA connections and 2 SATA power supplies available. Would I benefit much by upgrading my hardrives to SATA ones? One of them holds the operating system and programs etc (160GB) and the other stores my mp3's (320GB). Would there be much speed gained or not enough for me to notice? Also would data be transferred faster if my PATA drives had one IDE cable each instead of sharing one? I seem to have 2 IDE connections on the motherboard.

Relevancy 53.75%

i have 2 HD's laying around. 1 2.1 GB and 1 10.0 GB, the 2.1 has Win. 95 on it, and the 10.0 has Win. 98SE on it. if i get a computer without a HD, and it need 1, can i put on of the HD's in it, and it will work? or....

A:Solved: hard drives with OS, wanting to put in computer wit no hard drives

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hard-drives-with-os-wanting-to-put-in-computer-wit-no-hard-drives.443986/
Relevancy 52.46%

I HOPE SOMEONE HAS AN ANSWER FOR ME AS I'M RUNNING OUT OF SPACE ON MY 40GB MAIN DRIVE.
I HAVE A COMPLETELY EMPTY 16GB DRIVE THAT MY SYSTEM RECOGNIZES AS D:/, BUT I HAVE NO ADDRESS FOR MY "SEND TO" COMMAND IN ORDER TO USE IT. CAN ANYONE HELP?

A:ADDITIONAL HARD DRIVE

Hi Dragonrook, and welcome to BleepingComputer.You can open Explore, click on you C: drive and drag files that you want moved to the D: drive and drop them there. The Target drive or folder will highlight in blue, once the D: drive highlights is blue just drop the file and it will be moved to that drive. Moving files from the C: drive to the D: drive will not delete these files from the C: drive, you will need to delete these files from the C: drive.Right click on Sart> Explore. Double click on the C: drive, the contents of the C: drive will appear in the right side pane.A side note: Are you aware that in Internet Etiquette it is considered shouting if you write in all caps?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/186037/additional-hard-drive/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi there, I'm looking for some i5 and i7 desktops that can take additional hard drives. I think the HP 280G1 takes additional hard drive but I'm not 100% sure. Can anyone send me some current part no. that takes additional hard drive? Or if you could point me to the right direction in finding the products, I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks so much!Sam

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/What-are-the-i5-and-i7-desktops-that-take-additional-hard/td-p/5769794
Relevancy 52.46%

i just installed a new hd hard drive but nothing is showing in bios or other
I have a newer vista

A:additional hard drive

Can you elaborate a bit more?

Your saying your second hard drive isn't showing in you bios at all? Is it Sata or IDE?

Have you checked in Computer Management/Disk Management?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/additional-hard-drive.861488/
Relevancy 52.46%

I'm not sure that this is where my question belongs. My girlfriends computer is a Emachine W3502 w/ XP Pro, 80 G Hard drive, 2G RAM (upgraded). I am not a real computer savy person. I added another 250 G hard drive for storage. I changed the jumper on the original hard drive to "Master w/ slave present" and the new hard drive to "Slave." I can click on "my computer" and see the new drive is "F."

If I want to save a file to the new drive... I right click on "Send to" and there is not a "Drive F" in the drop down menu.

Have I done something wrong? How can I save a file to "Drive F?"

Relevancy 52.03%

Hello thanks for taking your time to read my post My laptop has become increasingly slow and my internet browser freezes lags shuts down etc I followed all steps in this thread http www techsupportforum com f ow- html but it's still slow I feel it runs deeper than just malware viruses but I'll leave that up to you experts to discover The reason I think it's deeper that that is because Laggy - Internet Help Laggy Please Deep problem? - Browser Laptop, I received a call from quot Windows quot saying I'd downloaded something malicious I didn't trust these people so I done a google on it and turns out it's a scam of some sort I won't post links but if you feel the need then google quot Just got a call from Windows quot or quot Just got a call from Microsoft quot Anyway the folders they got me to look into a lot of the Laggy Laptop, Laggy Internet Browser - Deep problem? - Help Please stuff had Errors or exclamation marks on them If you want I'd be happy for someone here to have a look using team viewer to see if I have a big problem Anyway here are the logs etc that are required according to the sticky I zipped the files as it said but it still looked like a winrar folder so if it's wrong I'll try again Thanks again DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by Admin at on Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium GMT AV AVG Anti-Virus Free On-access scanning disabled Updated DDD - FF- F- E B- D D BF SP AVG Anti-Virus Free enabled Updated DDD - FF- F- E B- D D BF SP Spybot - Search and Destroy disabled Updated ED FAF- B Laggy Laptop, Laggy Internet Browser - Deep problem? - Help Please F- B -ACA - E C DADBE SP Windows Defender disabled Updated D DDC A- F- FAE- E -DA C ACF Running Processes C Windows system wininit exe C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system svchost exe -k rpcss C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Windows system svchost exe Laggy Laptop, Laggy Internet Browser - Deep problem? - Help Please -k GPSvcGroup C Windows system SLsvc exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Windows system WLANExt exe C Windows System spoolsv exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files S A D CyberGhost VPN CGVPNCliService exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Windows system libusbd-nt exe C Windows system PnkBstrA exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe C Windows system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Windows System svchost exe -k WerSvcGroup C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSVC EXE C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDWinSec exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgnsx exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgemc exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgcsrvx exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSvcM exe C Windows system conime exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgchsvx exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgrsx exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgcsrvx exe C Windows RtHDVCpl exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files Keyboard Manager Manager Utility KeyboardManager exe C Program Files Motorola SMSERIAL sm hlpr exe C Program Files Spare Messaging MessagingApp exe C Program Files Common Files Nokia MPlatform NokiaMServer exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Windows ehome ehtray exe C Program Files Internet Download Manager IDMan exe C Windows ehome ehmsas exe C Windows system SearchIndexer exe C Program Files Internet Download Manager IEMonitor exe C Program Files iPod bin iPo... Read more

A:Laggy Laptop, Laggy Internet Browser - Deep problem? - Help Please

Hello and Welcome to TSF.

Please Subscribe to this Thread to get immediate notification of replies as soon as they are posted. To do this click Thread Tools, then click Subscribe to this Thread. Make sure it is set to Instant notification by email, then click Add Subscription.

Please note that the forum is very busy and if I don't hear from you within three days this thread will be closed.

------------------------------------------------------

Please note that these fixes are not instantaneous. Most infections require more than one round to properly eradicate.

Please stay with me until given the 'all clear' even if symptoms seemingly abate.

Kindly follow my instructions and please do no fixing on your own or running of scanners unless requested by a helper.

Due to the restrictions on Vista, all tools should be started by right-click > Run as Administrator

You will have to uninstall AVG in order to run ComboFix. If ComboFix still detects AVG after uninstalling AVG and rebooting, try removing AVG remnants with AppRemover:

Please download AppRemover and Save it to your Desktop. Double-click AppRemover.exe and follow the prompt to run it then click 'Next'.
Vista/Win7 users, right-click and choose 'Run as administrator'.
Under 'Select Removal Type' select 'Cleanup a Failed Uninstall' then click 'Next'.
Once the scan is complete, follow the on-screen instructions to remove remnants of AVG.
Reboot your computer if not prompted already.

If ComboFix still detects AVG, stop and let me know.

Please visit this webpage for download links, and instructions for running ComboFix:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/comb...o-use-combofix

* Ensure you have disabled all antivirus and antimalware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

Get help here

Please post the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply for further review.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/laggy-laptop-laggy-internet-browser-deep-problem-help-please-534853.html
Relevancy 51.6%

hi,

I have a system with intel motherboard and processor(p4) I have a hard disk which is having 40GB capacity i want to increase my hard disk size i.e. about 160GB so total becomes 200GB my doubt is if my 40GB hard disk is segate and if my new hard disk 160GB is western will there any problem is it compatilble to add and work on it.

Awaiting for the reply.

Thank You for your valuable time.

Relevancy 51.6%

i have sat and read mulders guide and come to the decision that i want another hard drive for my videos. should i go for internal or external and what size. one other thing i am a bit confused by is firewire. if firewire is 400mbps and usb is 480mbps why is firewire better for linking a camera?many thanks gary

Relevancy 51.6%

i am still being troubled by this extra hard drive problem i have a amd 64 with 1gig ram and 160 hd i tried to fit my old 20 gig hd in to access some files.when i switch the pc on it tries to boot up the 20 g hd but there is a fault with it so it can not.i set the 160 to master and the 20 to slave but this obiviously isn't working.when i boot up again the other drive (160) starts up and the pc operates as normal. ive tried looking in disk management to see if the pc can see the disk but nothing shows up. i've looked in bios and advanced bios settings but i don't know what i should see ie the boot up order where am i going wrong?

A:additional hard drive problem

You have three threads for the same problem. Why don't you post back to your original thread.

I'm closing the duplicate and triplicate.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/additional-hard-drive-problem.424552/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello there,
I would like to add a secondary hard drive to my computer. The new hard drive (which is not brand new) I have it from an older computer, also mine. They are both running Windows 98 se.The one I want to install has 2GB and the main one has 3GB.
Any idea on what I have to do?
I have never tried this before, so I need as much advice as I can get.
Thanks.

A:installing an additional hard drive

Look here:

http://www.computerhope.com/help/hdd.htm#04

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-an-additional-hard-drive.94415/
Relevancy 51.6%

Thanks in advance. I always get great help here.
I've run out of room on my 70 gb hard drive and funds are limited right now. I noticed CompUSA has a sale on Maxtor Ultra series for $40 after rebates.
Looking for the easiest way to install and utilize this.
Should I get the new HD and install as a slave? Install the new as primary, restore from back up to it and use the old as a slave?
If I use a slave setup,to access the files, do I need to open the drive each time, do I also install windows on the new drive?
Lots of questions.
Thanks, again.

Relevancy 51.6%

Well hello there This sounds like the place I need to be I also have a HP GB Pavilion I have wanted to add another HD for some time now After reading Page of a very long thread Mulder started back in July I went out and purchased a Maxtor HD confident that I could do it Well after reading the instructions I quot chickened quot out Too many terms I did not understand slave master partitions etc So I returned the HD I am pretty determined again to add a second HD since I m being very stingy with the space I have left on the GB HD I just do not want to have any conflicts in doing so I would like to use my present HD master as a back-up I think and like Jody move my existing data to the new larger HD I guess I am just needing some encouragement to go out and purchase the HD again and attempt to tackle the unknown Any enlightenment would be appreciated Josie nbsp

A:Adding additional Hard drive

I split this off into your own thread, too confusing when threads are added to.

First What else do you have on your ide cables besides the primary hard drive (4gig) and I would presume a cdrom.

Watch the screen when you start your machine, does it list where the cdrom is attached.

You have two ide cables, both cables can support two devices.
On each cable you can have one master and one slave device.
Your primary harddrive is always primary master.

Basically, if you only have the current harddrive attached to the primary ide it's pretty simple. Just buy the drive, physcially mount it in the machine with the included screws.

Now if going on primary with current drive, on the back of the drive are jumpers, you need to set the jumper to slave, it should be clearly marked or indicated in the manual that comes with the drives or viewed online at the drive manufacturer's site.

Once the jumper is set, add a power plug, you should have extra's in the case, if not, you can get a y adaper that makes one plug into two.
Then connect the ide cable, paying note that the red stripe goes to the pin 1 on the new drive, it will be marked. If you don't disconnect if from the motherboard, then you don't have to worry about the motherboard end, but it's the same, red stripe to pin 1.

Once it's all connected, restart your machine, you must now enter the bios setup(you should see a message saying press key to enter setup when you start your machine, that's the key to get into the bios setup area), find the ide configuration page, and enable the ide channel the drive is on. Generally you can set it to autodetect, if that option isn't available, you will have a manual detect, and if that's not available, the drive parameters will be printed on the drive and you can manually enter them.

Once done, save and exit bios.

Now you should have a floppy disk that either came with the drive or can be downloaded. Place the disk in the floppy drive slot and restart the machine, follow the instructions on the screen to partition, format, and copy the original drive to the new drive.
Once that is done, it's just a matter of shutting down, and changing the jumpers on the current drives. The new drive gets jumpered as master, the old drive as slave.

Restart the machine, if everything is working correctly you can then from within windows, my computer, reformat the old 4 gig drive and use it for storage.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-additional-hard-drive.67703/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi
I have an Athlon 2600+ running xp with 1gig ram and a hitachi sata 80gig harddrive.
I have a new seagate 200 gig sata to add.
Once all plugged in I boot the pc & it gets to the windows logo with black background before rebooting itself!
I went into bios and tried auto detecting yet it didnt seem to make a dif.
What am I doing wrong?
Sorry for my ignorance.
Im sure its a simple procedure Im making difficult somehow.

Relevancy 51.6%

I have a Gateway computer which is very low on hard drive space. I purchased a 200GB ATA hard drive and Gateway hasn't been any help on how to install. I am not replacing my current drive but adding the additional drive. I am not computer savvy......how does one go about adding it? Gateway does tell me I can have both hard drives in the system. They have me a link on their website but its says nothing about how to add the additional drive. Help?
Thanks...

A:Adding an additional hard drive

Hi,

This is a pretty straight forward process. Find the ide cable that has an open slot (IDE #1 or IDE #2). If your present hard drive is alone on the ribbon cable for instance, then do this:

Make sure the jumpers on the back of your present drive are set to MASTER and the drive is on the end of the ribbon cable.

Set the jumpers on the new drive to SLAVE and place it on the middle connector of the ribbon cable.

It should recognize it and away you can go partitioning and formatting the drive.

After you get it hooked up, if you have the disk that came with your drive, you can either use that to prepare the drive for usage, or you can go to the My Computer area and format it for usage. Either way is pretty self-explanatory. I just happen to like using the manufacturer's utility myself as a personal preference.

Post back if you have any questions.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f16/adding-an-additional-hard-drive-88236.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I have a 80GB SATA HD plugged in thats my master.

I want to add my 40GB IDE as well, but I want it to be a slave drive. (for additional Apache HTTP Server and Virtual Hosts)

So instead of plugging it into IDE1 should I use the extra IDE cable that
plugs into my DVD/CD drive that uses slot IDE2?

Does it make no difference? I just want the SATA drive to be recognized as
the master drive. I have a RAID setup disk but Ive never done that and I dont
know If I need to or not.

A:Additional Hard Drive - One IDE, one SATA

Hi there,

You can either plug it into IDE1 on you motherboard (assuming IDE0 is in use by the CD-ROM) and not worry about the jumper or you can plug it into the spare way on the lead that is plugged into your CD-ROM. If you choose the second option you need to ensure that the jumper on the backs of the devices are set, one Master and one Slave. The positions are normally depicted on the outer casing of each device.

Once installed boot the machine and provided your have a modern OS it will install the new drive for you. You now need to add the new drive as an extended partion in the disk manager. Please let us know when you get to this stage for more help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/additional-hard-drive-one-ide-one-sata.499503/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello everyone,

My computer already has 2 internal IDE hard drives, how do i go about installing another one? I don't believe i have the wiring harness inside the computer for anymore. I bought a USB external to move some software to, but wow is it slowwwwwwwww......It will take forever to move 70GIG. What are my choices?

Thanks

A:Additional hard drive questions??

Hi
My wife's from Endwell. Her parents had quite a bit of trouble with the flooding last year. Many (it use to be fairly standard) systems can have a total of 4 drives (combination of DVD, CD, HD). What do you have for drives and please provide more information about your computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/additional-hard-drive-questions.593782/
Relevancy 51.6%

i have just purchased a DELL Inspiron 15 5000 SERIES - 5559 with Windows 10 Pro pre-installed in Spanish. I have also purchased a DELL 24" additional screen SE2416H.
Whilst watching live internet broadcasts (TV, Youtube etc.) on Chrome, Edge or Firefox, as soon as I connect the screen to the laptop by HDMI cable, the sound on my laptop speakers disappears. Upon disconnection of the HDMI screen cable, the sound re-appears.  
However, the sound doesn't disappear when using other sound applications such as Skype. 
This means I can't enjoy watching internet TV with sound on the 24" screen.
Please advise how to fix this as the main point of purchasing the 24" screen was precisely to be able to watch (and listen to) TV programs.
Regards, 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19985632
Relevancy 51.17%

So issue Boot hard drive up with additional I've been having this consistent problem recently and I thought I had fixed it but apparently not A while ago my nd hard drive gb maxtor which I used pretty much exclusively for downloads and installations of games had been acting weird It would spontaneously disappear from My Computer after about minutes of my computer being on and it would cause my computer to take minutes to get to the logon screen after restarting I tried system restoring switching SATA cables switching SATA slots and pretty much everything except formatting So I just gave up and put in my terabyte Samsung HD in there which I had formerly been using externally and which was working Boot up issue with additional hard drive fine The transfer went fine from taking that hard drive and putting it Boot up issue with additional hard drive internally switching it out with the Maxtor except then after about days utorrent started giving me this quot Disk Overload quot comment so I figured something was still up Then I restarted my computer and once again it took an outrageously long time to get to my logon screen Once again I tried switching the SATA and all of that but no dice still giving me the problem As of right now I've disconnected my second hard drive altogether but this is not an issue that I can continue to deal with The computer is about two years old Dell Dimension Q Boot up issue with additional hard drive ghz GB RAM Vista bit Home Basic Any solutions I would rather not reformat considering I don't really think that's the issue I've tried it with two drives And I've run Windows Defender and the windows malicious software remover and neither have found any viruses Thanks

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/210219-boot-up-issue-additional-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I've installed an additional hard drive on a Dell Dimention 2400.
I disconnected the old drive, connected the new.
Installed WindowsXPhome and drivers using Dell discs,
the new drive is up and running. I powered down set the jumpers on both drives, enabled the new drive on setup menu and rebooted.

I can see the drive in the device manager but I can't see the drive in 'my computer'

what step am I missing?

thanks in advance.

Relevancy 51.17%

Hi All So additional access hard internal drive Can't heres my problem Previously I had my computer running with two gig sata hard drives in raid I have since replaced the motherboard with a different one but since it only has Can't access additional internal hard drive two sata inputs I chose to just use one of the hard drives and my sata dvd burner and performed a fresh os install Recently my burner has been acting up so I wanted to use my extra hdd since my original one is starting to get full I disconnected the burner and plugged in the extra hdd and when I booted up into windows it did the found new hardware balloon and installed the drivers I could then see it in my computer as drive d Can't access additional internal hard drive However another balloon popped up and said that my new hardware might not function properly until I rebooted so I restarted my computer When windows loaded again the d drive wasn t showing up in my computer In the device manager it just shows one hdd with a yellow by it In disk management none of my hdds show up If I disconnect the extra hdd the device manager shows no yellow s and my c drive shows up in disk management With both hdds hooked up post shows two hdds and I can also see them both in the bios but I don t know how to access the extra hard drive I don t care about the data on the extra hard drive I just want to format it and have an extra storage drive on my computer Thanks nbsp

A:Can't access additional internal hard drive

Either Gparted (bootable CD) will help you remove (and re-install) the 2nd HardDrive's partition
Remember to not hurt the main HardDrive's partition in the process

Or use your Windows CD to partition it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-access-additional-internal-hard-drive.103450/
Relevancy 51.17%

I recently defragged my additional hard drive and now when I click on it I get a message saying it isn't formatted. Is there anything I can do to access the drive?

Relevancy 51.17%

I'm looking to install an additional hard drive in my parents computer but just need some clarification that what I'm going to do is right! The current hard drive (10GB Western Digital WD Caviar 310000 IDE Hard Drive) in the PC is only 10GB hence why I need to add another one. The spec of the PC is as follows:

Gigabyte GA-7ZXE Motherboard
Athlon processor (not sure of specific model)
1280mb RAM
Windows XP
What other details if any do you need to know to figure out what type of hard drive etc I need to be installing? I'm currently thinking of installing http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Dig...5491423-1783839?ie=UTF8&qid=1174504105&sr=8-1

Will this be ok to use or not?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Relevancy 51.17%

I am running out of space on my SSD and i would like to extend it into an additional drive. Firstly is that possible and secondly how?

ignore the bad english late night.

A:Extending Volume of SSD using a additional hard drive

Do you want to get involved with RAID? I think that may be the only way if you truly mean "extend" rather than "exchange" or "replace".

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/195071-extending-volume-ssd-using-additional-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 51.17%

New Inspiron 15 5000 2-in-1

deals.dell.com/.../27hHey for this product, is it possible to add 1tb normal hard disk in addition to the SSD which already existsPlease do reply and thanks

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19988621
Relevancy 51.17%

Me...again (you guys must love me )

I'm gonna install a second hard drive into my system.I take it it's merely a case of adjusting the jumpers to "slave" positions and attachting it to the slave IDE socket (by that I mean the one halfway down the cable as opposed to the end,and connecting a power lead to it too?

The only worry is that it's also got windows on this HDD and wonder if they will conflict when it tries to boot up.But I am thinking making sure the boot order in BIOS would remedy this as I plan to eventually take off what I need and then format it completely so it's just storage space.

Any clarification/alternative suggestions greatly appreciated

A:Solved: additional hard drive installation

nevermind done it! all good!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-additional-hard-drive-installation.1013123/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi,
I've just bought en recieved a brand new Inspiron 3650. I want to add an additional hard drive to my system. I read that I can only add 2.5 inch hard drives, because the system already has an 3.5 inch hard drive.
The problem is that I cannot find a power source to connect the hard drive. In my old Inspiron 600 I had plenty of powers sources.
Thanks for the help.

Gr. Alexander

A:Additional hard drive in Inspiron 3650

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Latching-Power-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B00BBDL17G

The official way to do it in most dells is to get the 2.5 to 3.5 blue plastic stacked 2.5 inch drive adapter R494D that snaps into the 3.5 inch drive holder. You can also use the Silverstone adapter has all the mount points of a standard 3.5" hard drive, and it's $12. It holds two 2.5" devices stacked just like the R494D does. Power and Sata port will have to be stolen from the optical drive or Y splitter used for power.  The R494D snaps into the 3.5 inch caddy like a matruska doll.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19974138
Relevancy 51.17%

My gigabyte EX A-UD R has hard drives I do music and video production drive is XP drive is W Ult Bit the other drives are used for let Additional boot hard the drive not will system media reading and writing to Last night my system would not boot In either XP or W I disconnected all drives Additional hard drive will not let the system boot these are SATA drives I reconnected one by one I started with the XP drive it booted normal I took a deep breath I added the W drive and booted into it It booted normal I added my Pro Tools write to drive I could boot normal into both XP and W I added my Avid Assets drive and the system would Additional hard drive will not let the system boot freeze on boot up on both XP and W I tried using different cables tried different SATA controller positions But that changed nothing Still the same behavior to the the system when that particular drive is connected the system freezes on boot The drive shows up as it should be in the Bios The MB sees it and the drive seems to see the MB I used a disc utility called HDD Regeneration to test the drive Booted into the HDD Regeneration utility it lists the drive chose it to check HDD Regeneration found no errors in the drive So I took the drive out of may case and booted into W Put the drive in question in an external SATA docking station Connected it via a usb and W picks up the drive in quot My Computer quot as you would except having an external drive connected All my data is there and accounted for Any ideas here Thank you Philip nbsp

A:Additional hard drive will not let the system boot

Ive come across the rare occasion where some drives just dont like being linked together, this was with IDE drives, did the system boot previously with all the drives in.

Have you changed the boot order at all, ie have you got the faulty drive as first boot device.?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/additional-hard-drive-will-not-let-the-system-boot.174516/
Relevancy 51.17%

The issue my gig hard drive is almost full I added another gig SATA hard drive to my XP system The physical part was not an issue it went in and connected ok I restarted the computer it showed it in drive management so I set the partican and formated it as I thought I should it said disc and the letter designation K In my computer it shows drive K I can check properties it shows the gig and its there as it should be with nothing on the drive The hard XP additional Adding drive Solved: only thing I ve been able to get on the drive is drag the short cut to My Docs down from the my computer screen So I Solved: Adding additional hard drive XP need to figure out why I can t get anything to go to driveK When I get this figured out I would like to move my daughters docs and itunes to the new hard drive I ll need how to do this also Drive is there but I can t Solved: Adding additional hard drive XP figure out how to use it Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack bit Processor AMD Athlon tm Processor x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB K Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard C G MCP Antivirus AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled instructions how to do this also Drive is there but I can t figure out how to use it nbsp

A:Solved: Adding additional hard drive XP

Nothing will go there unless you send it there.

Documents is a system folder, so it needs to be moved properly so the system registers where it is. In the folder's Properties, you will find a location option. If you change that and log off and on, the folder will be moved to its new location.

You can create a Program Files folder on the new drive. Then, when you install new software, you can use the custom options and change the path to the K: drive instead of the C: drive. You can also uninstall programs you have now and reinstall them to the K: drive.

But be aware that all programs will take space from the system drive, even if installed elsewhere.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-adding-additional-hard-drive-xp.1035138/
Relevancy 50.74%

Imy PC runs windows and has a TB Hybrid HDD that it came from the supplier with I have bought a TB additional internal standard HDD that I fitted to the PC in my limited knowledge I simply plugged it in to spare SATA socket on my motherboard Its been fitted for about four weeks The last couple of days the PC has had trouble starting sometimesis boots STARTUP Additional issue Hard question, Drive and sometimes it hangs on a black screen with the spinning disc timer icon Am I correct in how I have fitted the HDD and simply plugged the power and data leads in or do I need to asign the new drive Additional Hard Drive question, STARTUP issue as a SLAVE drive If so how do I do that I know the old IDE PATA drives had a selector pin to either set it up as a SLAVE or MASTER drive But I couldnt find anything like that on the new SATA HDD Also this seems to have happened since the Windows upgrade is that causing any startup issues If the issue isnt the new HDD or the Windows update Is Additional Hard Drive question, STARTUP issue there a good program available to check on the health and status of a HDD perhaps one that could identify any possible issues Any advice is much appreciated

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/windows-29/additional-hard-drive-question-startup-issue-4601605/
Relevancy 50.74%

I'm adding a Western Digital Hard drive to my computer. I have a 15 Gig and adding a 160 Gig. My 15 gig is full.

When adding, what is the best way to do it. Master or slave or does it make a difference. Just want to make sure so I get the best results from the start.

Joe

A:Adding additional hard drive (Slave or Master?)

There are several different ways you can do this.

The fastest would be to set your new drive to slave (make sure your current drive is set to master) and install.

**personal note**
Were I installing this on my system....this is what I would do.
Install the new drive as slave.
Make a drive image of your current drive,
load the image on your new slave drive,
swap the master and slave settings (making your new drive master)
verify that the machine boots correctly to your new master 160GB HD (and all files and space is accessible)
If all is good, format the 15GB and use as additional storage

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-additional-hard-drive-slave-or-master.314707/
Relevancy 50.74%

I recently bought a new computer HP m y running XP I tried installing a Seagate GB Ultra ATA internal hard drive that I had previously been using on my old computer it Drive Additional Solved: Internal Hard Finding Not wasn t set for it s full GB capacity on Solved: Not Finding Additional Internal Hard Drive that Windows SE system because it wasn t supported and I m fine leaving it that way The drive is PATA so I went out and bought a converter so that I could connect it to the new computer s SATA motherboard The converter lights up but the drive isn t showing up in My Computer Seagate talked me through right clicking on My Computer and going to Solved: Not Finding Additional Internal Hard Drive quot Manage quot The drive isn t Solved: Not Finding Additional Internal Hard Drive showing up in quot Disk Managment quot or quot Device Manager quot I contacted HP to see if they could tell me if all SATA ports on my motherboard were enabled in BIOS They ran a check on the specs of this product number and claimed they are all enabled I also questioned whether the ports are of SATA or SATA and got different answers from two different people I m honestly not real sure what to do with the jumpers Seagate told me that a jumper on the left pins of my master drive new computer s drive isn t necessary with SATA He had me test a jumper on the left pins of my old drive to compensate for the potential difference in it being SATA or SATA compatible I ve tried many combinations of jumpers and no jumpers on the left most center most pins I ve also tried plugging the SATA cord into different SATA ports in case the one I was using wasn t enabled afterall I m at a loss now Something that seems so simple is not working I also do not want to have to repartition reformat the old hard drive because that has everything from my old computer on it It was supposed to be my means of transferring my files and also adding additional hard drive space to this new computer Thanks for any help nbsp

Relevancy 50.74%

Just bought a new Gateway desktop today; it may be my last. I also bought an additional internal hard drive. All of my other desktops have come with instructions and diagrams for installing, but this one doesn't, and no such document seems to be available either on the computer or on their website. So I initiated a chat with Gateway tech support to ask where I might find such a document. At first the guy said he could help with that issue. The next thing he typed was that he was "just a hardware specialist" so that was beyond the scope of his (and his group's) knowledge. He then said he would be happy to connect me with a group at Gateway who could, for a fee, "remotely troubleshoot my issue."

So, can anyone tell me where I might find instructions for installing an internal hard drive in a Gateway FX6840?

A:Solved: Installing additional hard drive on new Gateway - they were NO help

All you need to do is find a guide on how to install a SATA hard drive. As long as the power supply has spare SATA connectors, you're set. You might have to buy a SATA cable though. Good thing they're cheap.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-installing-additional-hard-drive-on-new-gateway-they-were-no-help.976081/
Relevancy 50.74%

I am trying to add a second hard drive to this machine, there is only two SATA slots on the mother board one for the OS hard drive and the other is for the optical drive.  there is also only two power slots on the mother board.  There is room for one drive in the rack, but dont see how to connect the drive. Any help is appreciated. Thank you,

A:Add an additional hard drive to my HP Pavilion 550-a114 Desk...

Hi, Please check the following post:    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/install-a-second-hard-drive-on-p... Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Add-an-additional-hard-drive-to-my-HP-Pavilion-550-a114/td-p/5756012
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello everyone, me again, thanking in advance for any comments or suggestions or opinions.

My OS is windows 7 64bit and I am using H61M-P31G3 MSI mainboard. It has 4 SATA slots: SATA 1 for my 500GB HDD, SATA2 for my DVDRW Drive, and SATA3 & SATA 4 none connected

I have an older PC with 200GB SATA HDD, and I plan to remove this HDD and use only as back-up hard drive on my newer PC.

My inquiry is >> IF I INSTALL THE HDD CABLE (200GBHDD) ON MY SATA 3 or SATA 4 slot, WILL IT BE JUST A SIMPLE "PLUG & PLAY," meaning that after rebooting my PC I can now use the 200GB old SATA HDD as a backup &/or file storage hard drive? or anything else that i must do in order to use it as a backup &/or file storage drive.

have a nice day to all.

A:Installing Additional SATA Hard Drive - Inquiry

Yes, it should be that simple. The OS will install device drivers for it when you boot.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/274314-installing-additional-sata-hard-drive-inquiry.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I just bought an additional hard drive for my machine as I was running low on space. I have hooked it up with the correct serial ATA cables, etc and turned my PC on. It doesn't seem to have detected it and its not showing up in My Computer or anything. Is there something I have missed out or do I have to download drivers for it? I was under the impression it should just show up under Hard Disk Drives after booting up the machine.

Thanks

A:Solved: What to do after hooking up an additional internal hard drive

Does the drive show up in disk management? [start>run and type in "diskmgmt.msc" without quotes hit enter]

If so, you need to create a partition and format. After that the os will assign a drive letter.

If the drive is not listed in disk management, then go back and recheck/reseat the data and pw connectors for the drive; recheck.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-what-to-do-after-hooking-up-an-additional-internal-hard-drive.1009261/
Relevancy 50.31%

I am running Windows XP SP3 right now on a Lenovo 7650-ELU and experiencing some odd problems. For some reason, the laptop I have will not recognize USB Flash Drives that I put into it or External Hard Drives. I know that the USB ports work correctly, because I have plugged in optical mouses and keyboards that work. I searched the forums and didn't see anything like this.

It's odd how when I first insert them, it makes the sound and shows the icon in the taskbar that would allow me to safely remove the device, but nothing else. So far, I have gone into the device manager and uninstalled all the USB ports and restarted hoping this would solve my problem, but it continues to do the same thing.

If anyone has some helpful advise, please post. I appreciate all the help.

Cheers!

A:USB Ports Don't Recognize Flash Drives or External Hard Drives

Has it ever worked before?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/usb-ports-dont-recognize-flash-drives-or-external-hard-drives-335404.html
Relevancy 50.31%

A Moderator has Moved your thread to our Windows forum as there are some things you need to know in order to rescue data you probably need and some drives way any of pull hard there to Is independently? data off drives/storage other stuff you shouldl be aware Is there any way to pull data off of hard drives/storage drives independently? of help should arrive soon My hard drive won t boot and SMART says it s BAD backup and replace quot I can t replace it now no money so I was wondering if there s a way to get Windows completely pulled off the drive Is there any way to pull data off of hard drives/storage drives independently? from its sectors and transferred to another storage drive WITHOUT the hard drive connected to a motherboard no BIOS etc Just independent of its self with the jumper power to start it can data be physically removed from it without it being connected to a motherboard Is there any way something like this can be done Because here s what I want to do I want to clear the hard drive and keep its files the OS and other files on it move them to another storage drive then boot them from say a GB USB drive and install them on a new hard drive from there Will something like this work Assuming I boot from the USB with a new functioning hard drive installed can I just sort of quot move quot the OS to the new empty hard drive to install it there What are the steps of doing this exactly I m not skilled experienced in this area at all nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-there-any-way-to-pull-data-off-of-hard-drives-storage-drives-independently.1060461/
Relevancy 50.31%

I have a Dell Inspiron E GB capacity This computer is used daily mostly for internet use This computer runs PC Tools Performance Toolkit where it dumps all temporary Internet files cookies in addition to their Spyware Doctor with Antivirus After receiving a message that the hard drive was almost full I transferred all photos and graphic program files to a thumb drive and that seemed to alleviate the problem A few days later I received the message again went through unused programs and removed Hard additional keeps without etc. adding Drive capacity filling to software, That too seemed to alleviate the problem for the time being as well Not long after that I received the message again and removed more unused programs which that too helped the problem at the time It again filled up and I received the message again Having exhausted all unused programs and transferring most of the documents to the thumb drive I uninstalled iTunes and it s entire library and that took the drive from capacity down to Since that time an HP printer was re-installed to alleviate some errors from when I uninstalled some of the programs components and also an update from PC tools Spyware Doctor with Antivirus and the hard drive is again filled to capacity I ve exhausted any unused files programs and at a stand still with what to do next Any advice is welcome Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-keeps-filling-to-capacity-without-adding-additional-software-etc.1081664/
Relevancy 50.31%

Background I was trying to fix an issue with DVDs not playing correctly on my was asking additional eaten, for assistance steps space done, thanks! hard 5 drive computer and trying to hard drive space was eaten, 5 steps done, asking for additional assistance thanks! find codec that would work problem was not always there I presumably downloaded something that caused problems I noticed my main drive C was low and I needed space to install k-lite codec pack So I moved some files over to my secondary drive F about a gig Problem revealed itself immediately before moving the files before installing k-lite hard drive space was eaten, 5 steps done, asking for additional assistance thanks! codec pack The gig I just freed up disappeared and the amount of space was fluctuating between kb and - hard drive space was eaten, 5 steps done, asking for additional assistance thanks! mb Moved some more stuff another gig same thing happened I noticed something weird I saw in another post similar to my experience that in the bottom right hand corner where the icons are bubble popped up saying something about quot new hardware detected old may not be usable quot Not quite sure if those words are close or exact to be honest didn't write it down Unfortunately I had ran out on my CA etrust security suite so I had to repurchase this but only did after this all took place I'm sure I set myself up for this problem However I searched internet to find some possible cause to this and found this forum I ran the steps minus IE-Spyad because I use Firefox solely except to stream netflix videos The hard drive space has since stopped disappearing but I fear that I am still missing space In order to install the many programs the steps asked for a got rid of Sims about GBs have installed about GB in programs for the steps have GB left and have yet to receive the approximate GB back from moving files over prior to make space I'm pretty sure this was spyware or virus was at some point I've run into a few spyware trojans with scans of CA anti-spyware since I reinstalled it They were Win Antivirus and New Net Domain Plugin They were quarantined and deleted Panda scan also found additional stuff as you will see that I could all get rid of because I did not purchase the scanner Windows service pack was just installed with the steps I'd had trouble installing it in the past Hope all this information isn't too much or too specific for what you need Thank you Deckard's System Scanner v Run by David on - - Computer is in Normal Mode -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- System Restore -------------------------------------------------------------- Successfully created a Deckard's System Scanner Restore Point -- Last Restore Point s -- - - UTC - RP - Deckard's System Scanner Restore Point - - UTC - RP - Software Distribution Service - - UTC - RP - Software Distribution Service - - UTC - RP - System Checkpoint Backed up registry hives Performed disk cleanup System Drive C has GiB less than free -- HijackThis run as David exe ----------------------------------------------- Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files CA SharedComponents HIPSEngine UmxCfg exe C Program Files CA SharedComponents HIPSEngine UmxFwHlp exe C Program Files CA SharedComponents HIPSEngine UmxPol exe C Program Files CA SharedComponents HIPSEngine UmxAgent exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe F CA eTrust Internet Security Suite CA Personal Firewall capfasem exe F CA eTrust Internet Security Suite eTrust EZ Antivirus ISafe exe C WINDOWS system cisvc exe ... Read more

A:hard drive space was eaten, 5 steps done, asking for additional assistance thanks!

Ok.We need to download ComboFix.exe. This will give a better view to the files running and also hidden on your computer and also those in the registry.

Please visit this webpage for download links, and instructions for running ComboFix

When the tool is finished, it will produce a report for you. Please copy and paste the "C:\ComboFix.txt" along with a new 'HijackThis' log so that we can continue to do any further cleaning that your system may require.

Caution: Never run and remove files with Combofix unless supervised by a qualified security analyst who is experienced in the use of Combofix. Mal use can cause serious computer problems

NOTE: Combofix prevents autorun of all CDs, floppies and USB devices to assist with malware removal & increase security. If this is an issue or makes it difficult for you - please let me know.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/hard-drive-space-was-eaten-5-steps-done-asking-for-additional-assistance-thanks-254758.html
Relevancy 49.88%

My Windows 10 Home laptop will recognize all of my flash drives but won't recognize any of my external hard drives. They all use to show up but now they aren't. The hard drives show up in disk manager but won't show up in file explorer. I hooked them up to other laptops & they all show up. I've tried uninstalling drivers & reinstalling them but It hasn't worked. Any ideas?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/66530-flash-drives-recognized-but-external-hard-drives-not.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I ve got an old Dell Inspiron PC that into Plugging Cable? to IDE Optical Drives' Drives Hard the office uses as shared storage printer server etc and it s been having issues seeing Plugging Hard Drives into to Optical Drives' IDE Cable? USB drives correctly Although the laser printer that s on USB has never ever had a problem Yesterday it dawned on me that instead of plugging in the extra drives I need I could put another couple of hard drives in in place of the optical drives that are never used on that machine So after a bit vague googling it seemed this was possible so I went ahead and removed both optical drives replacing them with hard drives Plugging Hard Drives into to Optical Drives' IDE Cable? so now the PC has internal drives and they work You wouldn t believe the hassle I ve had with NetworkAttachedStorage and various different USB drives while figuring out that this machine doesn t like USB drives The thing is the drives seem to be running really slowly Is this because CD drives won t need to receive data as fast as hard drives do Is there any way of setting it Plugging Hard Drives into to Optical Drives' IDE Cable? up to send data faster to these drives nbsp

Relevancy 49.88%

I have a new computer plus a couple of other computers and I have some external hard drives and flash drives. what is the best way to check these devices to make sure they are clean, will just connecting them and viewing them or running AV and other security checks propose a risk to the computer that is checking?
Thanks for any advise!

A:External Hard drives and flash drives security

zformer,

You can consider the use of the Panda Vaccine on your computer and USB Drives:
Download Panda USB and AutoRun Vaccine - MajorGeeks

This tool provides a two way security by vaccinating both computer and/or USB drives.
It work on NTFS, FAT, FAT32 formatted drives.
However, vaccinating a USB drive cannot be undone without formatting the USB disk, using a hex editor, or a File Manager in a Linux distribution..

Next, make sure that your Antivirus can scan USB drives. Some do not have this option.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/361360-external-hard-drives-flash-drives-security.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I set up a new computer. Windows 7 Pro 64x
Everything was fine but then I connected a flash drive to it and I get:

Location Not Available
H:\ is not accessible. Access is denied

If I go into the properties to the ?security? tab, it says ?you do not have permission to view or edit this object?s permission settings?

If I go into the ?owner? tab of Advanced Security Settings, current owner says ?Unable to display current owner?
This is on every flash drive and portable hard drive on all 4 usb ports.
I am logged in as the administrator and there is not even another user account on the computer
I?ve run sfc /scannow

I?m absolutely stumped. I?ve never had this happen on any computer where I couldn?t use an external device.

This is not my computer so I?ll have to do whatever remotely.

Thank you for the help.

A:All Flash Drives & External Hard Drives NOT ACCESSIBLE?

Sometimes when I plug in a USB Thumb/Flash drive I get a message about "this device can perform faster if plugged into a USB 2 port" so I shut the computer down and pull the power cord and USB devices from the back of it. After waiting a bit I put everything back and all is good.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/354251-all-flash-drives-external-hard-drives-not-accessible.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi there I have an Acer Aspire Aspire as hard adding Acer SSD but additional - room! no drive X1301 X desktop pc which is running so slowly I was advised that installing an SSD would speed Acer Aspire X1301 - adding SSD as additional hard drive but no room! it up and give Acer Aspire X1301 - adding SSD as additional hard drive but no room! it a new lease of life so I purchased one Sadly however upon opening the pc case I realised that there was no spare space inside for me to be able to install the new SSD and retain the old hard drive for storage purposes - However I do have a quot optical drive in there which is broken and hasn't been used for years I have an external optical drive that I use when I need to So I guess my question is can I remove the internal optical drive and use that bay to house my new SSD If so is there such a thing as an adapter that I can buy to be able to mount the drive into the large bay Can I use the same cables or will the SSD require different connectors I would be very grateful of any advice - I haven't attempted anything like this before Thanks

A:Acer Aspire X1301 - adding SSD as additional hard drive but no room!

Hi

I think this is what you are looking for : Sedna SATA III Internal 2 5" HDD SSD Dock Includes 5 25" CD ROM Bay Kit | eBay

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/340745-acer-aspire-x1301-adding-ssd-additional-hard-drive-but-no-room.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hey all. I have a cd Burner a dvd Drive and a hard drive. I have 2 ATA/IDE slots on my mobo. Which should i hook together and what should i put in the primary and secondary slots????? I've heard that the hard drive should be alone and I have also heard the the CDRW needs to have its own slot. What should I do? THanks for any and all help you provide.

A:Connecting Drives

My suggestion, put the hard drive and the dvd on the same cable and the cdrw on its own cable. The reason is that the cdrw will need to access the hard drive many times to burn the cd's and having them on different channels will keep the channel from having to switch back and forth. The dvd will not be using the hard drive much so, less switching.

Good Luck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-drives.80598/
Relevancy 49.02%

I just recently built a new system running an Intel Q9550 quad core 8 GB of ram and Vista Home Premium x64. Everything works flawlessly except for connecting external hard drives and thumb drives through the usb port. I've tried multiple hard drives/thumb drives on multiple ports on the front and back with it working only once for the thumb drive. Usually Vista keeps sounding the device connect and device disconnect dongs for a few minutes and then every once in a while says the drive needs to be formatted, but the drives work fine on my Laptop that's running Vista Home Premium 32-bit. Is this a common problem with x64 or is there something wrong with my system?

thanx

A:USB hard drives/thumb drives to work

when I hook the usb thumb drive to the usb port on my printer, Vista recognizes it and lets me see the files on the drive, it also lets me copy a file to it but then freezes after it finishes copying (the copy window has a full progress bar and say "about 0 seconds remaining".

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/198621-usb-hard-drives-thumb-drives-work.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I have several old hard drives, taken from previouse CPU's. Is there anyway in which I can use them as external hard drives or be able to read what is stored on them, without hooking up INSIDE my CPU ?

Relevancy 49.02%

I already found out the hard way that flash drives don't have a registry in which I can install a program to it, and run it on other computers, unless the program is a lite program. Is there a way to make it more flexible in the sense of creating a registry for it?

Next question; Do external hard drives have a registry? Could I install games and or programs to an external and run them directly from it? Is there a way to create a registry for it if it does not have one?
Anyone that has anything else to possibly add, I'm more than happy to explore any and all options, so don't be shy!

Help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

A:External hard drives / flash drives.

i do not know the particulars of it but yes it is possible to copy/paste a programme file from c drive ,programme files, onto flash drive and run it, i do it myself

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drives-flash-drives.930251/
Relevancy 49.02%

I opened my computer the other day and when I clicked "computer" to go to my mapped networks drives to my surprise there are no hard drives or mapped drives displayed anymore.

Even when I go "open" in excel for example I don't see the drives.

I tried uninstalling sp1 in hope it would fix the problem but it did not. When I go into disk management I see my hard drives.

Is there a way to fix this? I have Vista Home Premium

Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/hard-drives-and-mapped-drives-missing-295022.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I have windows 7 pro and recently I have not been able to open up a new folder on any external hard drive or flash drive that I use with my computer. When I use these same flash and external hard drives in another computer it works fine, my initial thought is, there is something disabled in my system or some program is blocking me when I try to create a new folder in my drives. need advice and help.

A:Flash drives and external hard drives

It may be your explorer. Run a sfc /scannow in Command Prompt

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/315742-flash-drives-external-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I'm runnin XP Pro with a P4 2.6 ghz processor overclocked to 3.2 ghz. I have 2 IDE hard drives with my main drive as master with 3 partitions and my slave drive as cable select with 2 partitions. Any time I use explorer (not internet explorer, i'm talking about the normal windows OS) to access any of my volumes it takes a hell of a lot of time to show the files in the window. Usually, it takes about 30 seconds for the files to show, and during that 30 seconds, explorer.exe stops responding. What is my problem, and how do i fix it?? I've defragmented everything, but haven't screwed with my page file, if that has anything to do with the problem...If I use DOS or some other non-explorer-based application, the files pop right up. Even other computers on my network do not have to wait for the files to show.

Any help?
Jonny

A:Hard drive access is sluggish

is it similar to this

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-access-is-sluggish.410183/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hello,
I've just pulled a 160Gb hard drive from a second machine with various data on it, which I want to keep. I've stuck it in my primary machine as a slave, and the BIOS recognises it no problem. It is apparently there in system, device manager, but if you look for it in Explorer it isn't there.

Looking at local disk management, my primary hard disk (0) is classified as basic (rather than dynamic), but the second drive (1) is classed as dynamic and foreign. I appear to have two options, import foreign discs, or convert to basic disc. What is the difference between the two options? And which do I do if I don't wish to lose any data?

I'm running XP SP2 etc.
Thanks,
Jonathan

A:Solved: BIOS sees additional hard drive,s o does device manager but windows explorer does not

Well I think this should help you out.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q314343

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-bios-sees-additional-hard-drive-s-o-does-device-manager-but-windows-explorer-does-not.398121/
Relevancy 48.59%

I have a small (3 PC's) network with a number of mapped network drives. Even though when I created them, I selected to "reconnect on Login" when I restart the computers the drives start out in my drive list, but not connected until I actually open them manually in the "MY Computer" window. For example, I use one of them for backing up Quicken data files, and when I attempt to use the Quicken backup procedure, the drive is not able to open. Are there some permissions that must be set on each computer to allow these drives to open on restarts?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-pro-connecting-network-drives.75091/
Relevancy 48.59%

I've set up a dual boot with XP and 7. My mapped drives work fine under XP but on 7 they fail to reconnect at startup. I have made sure I ticked "Reconnect at startup" and I have switched on "Always wait for network at computer start up and logon" in Group Policies but still no good. Any suggestions?

A:Mapped Drives not Connecting

Did you move to Canberra recently? My commiserations

It would be useful to figure out whether the Win7 box is trying to reconnect and failing, or whether it's not trying at all. The most direct way to do that would be to run a packet trace (www.wireshark.org) on the XP target (harder to do it on Win7 while it's logging on), and then analyse the resultant trace to establish whether an attempt is being made to reconnect.

If the Win7 box is trying and failing, that's relatively easy to troubleshoot because the trace should reveal the nature of the failure. Otherwise, if there's no attempt at all, it becomes necessary to enable additional ("userenv") logging, and as of Vista they've made that a real PITA.

If you do end up generating a trace (it's very simple - like a tape recorder) and you'd like some assistance doing the analysis, just ask.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/37041-mapped-drives-not-connecting.html
Relevancy 48.59%

i have two cd drives which are currently plugged in usin IDE cables they both have power running through them and open and close but the drive names D:, E: etc. dont come up on the my computer screen.

Maybe i have not plugged in the IDE cables properly?

Relevancy 48.16%

Hello I posted in the Windows forum and I don't think that was the correct location I installed Windows about a month Running Hard Drive sluggish. lost. ago Shortly after that my computer would shut down after a Hard Drive lost. Running sluggish. couple hours I never caught it in the act but would go into office and it was off I changed my screen saver and then the power settings and so far it hasn't done that anymore I did change some files on my TB external drive then the next day it wasn't recognized Tried new USB port and powered down After a couple tries it came back Today it wasn't recognized again and I made changes to the drive just yesterday Not sure if this is Virus or what I have Malwarebytes running every night and nothing to report there Also run Total Security a couple times a week for disk clean up and virus checking Nothing shows up there either Some apps are very slow to open as well If someone could provide some guidance as to a clean up and or a thorough check to make sure my computer is in good shape would be greatly appreciated I am tech savvy but need specific directions in order to follow directions Thanks so much in advance

A:Hard Drive lost. Running sluggish.

Hello.. did you complete usasma's last repairs?We can scan....MiniToolBoxPlease download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.Checkmark the following checkboxes:Flush DNSReport IE Proxy SettingsReset IE Proxy SettingsReport FF Proxy SettingsReset FF Proxy SettingsList content of HostsList IP configurationList Winsock EntriesList last 10 Event Viewer logList Installed ProgramsList Users, Partitions and Memory size.Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run. Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.AdwCleanerPlease download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool. Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As AdministratorClick on the Scan button.AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.The contents of the log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name that you know should not be removed, don't worry about it. If you see an entry you want to keep, let me know about it.Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.Junkware Removal ToolPlease download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".The tool will open and start scanning your system.Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.ESET Online ScannerClick here to download the installer for ESET Online Scanner and save it to your Desktop.Disable all your antivirus and antimalware software - see how to do that here.Right click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe and select Run as Administrator.Place a checkmark in YES, I accept the Terms of Use, then click Start. Wait for ESET Online Scanner to load its components.Select Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications.Click Advanced Settings, then place a checkmark in the following:Remove found threatsScan archivesScan for potentially unsafe applicationsEnable Anti-Stealth technologyClick Start to begin scanning.ESET Online Scanner will start downloading signatures and scan. Please be patient, as this scan can take quite some time.When the scan is done, click List threats (only available if ESET Online Scanner found something).Click Export, then save the file to your desktop.Click Back, then Finish to exit ESET Online Scanner.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/602240/hard-drive-lost-running-sluggish/
Relevancy 48.16%

The HD is almost full and I can't figure out what is doing it. No games, videos, a handful of pictures, just E-mail and general web browsing. Can't fragment or do system restore, not enough space (that's what it said). 4.84 GB free out of 134 GB. Can't find a virus or malware either.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3036 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset, 1294 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 137546 MB, Free - 4846 MB; D: Total - 14999 MB, Free - 10351 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0P301D
Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2013, Updated and Enabled

Relevancy 47.73%

Hallo I have a very strange problem at least it seems to me so My university has a complex network with number of shared drives And the university gave me username and password through which I can log in and access all these drives The thing is that I am using my personal computer and not the one that is provided by university For this case I had to create Virtual Private Network VPN connection in full accordance with university network rules And I had to map network drives and got access The problem is that whan I restarted my computer and reconnect to network via VPN I get an access to the Internet but network Problem drives with connecting not to the network drives Creating Problem with connecting network drives a new VPN and mapping drives again works while disconnecting the drives and mapping them again with old VPN does not but after doing so several times server automatically blocked my account I wonder if anyone can suppose what might be the cause of these problems Any versions nbsp

A:Problem with connecting network drives

I'd be talking to the University IT folks, there are many reasons this could be happening.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-with-connecting-network-drives.853588/
Relevancy 47.73%

Just recently had troubles with my computer and a few things got changed.

Now when I start the computer it tells me that my networked drives aren't connected; when i goto windows explorer they all come up as 'disconnected' which means that I have to manually click on them o reconnect.

How do I get them to automatically reconnect at startup again?