Windows Support Forum

did system restore and now certain programs aren''t working

Q: did system restore and now certain programs aren''t working

I had this same problem happen in January and was given awesome advice to fix with command prompt, but I cant find it because it was closed. It would not go online wirelessly (still dont) so I did a system restore, now it wont undo system retore, or bring up windows update or many other programs. I was trying to find the command prompt details that we're given to me 2 months ago with no luck. I am running windows 7 home premium.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: did system restore and now certain programs aren''t working

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: did system restore and now certain programs aren''t working

Go to Start/Search and type CMD right click the CMD icon in the results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type chkdsk /F and press enter. Now type a Y for Yes and restart your computer. Check Disk will run at next bootup and check any files.
Also in the Elevated Command prompt you can type SFC /scannow and press enter. This will replace any missing files.
If you still can't connect wirelessly, go to Start/Search and type devmgmt.msc Right click devmgmt icon and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Device Manager, are there any devices with yellow flags? If so, these devices need drivers installed.
What is the make and model # of your computer? On an internet computer, go to the Manufacturers support/download drivers site. Type in your make and model # and download the Chipset and WiFi network adapter driver and any other drivers you need from the Device Manager.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/did-system-restore-and-now-certain-programs-arent-working-691109.html
Relevancy 74.82%

Hey guys so after I did windows updates after a long time it's for a good reason that I am not updating the notebook failed to start correctly After the windows loading screen only different tones of black were flashing - probably bad graphics driver Anyway I managed to do a system restore Although it said it wasn't successful it works But now some programs won't start From Adobe AfterEffects starts without problems but Photoshop and Illustrator has working system programs after restore not some an error http s postimg org q kbdfe image png Microsoft Office won't open as well http s postimg org s rtfhonh image some programs not working after system restore png http s postimg org qn k pe image some programs not working after system restore png http s postimg org b iz lhn image png When I try to uninstall Office completely the set-up window doesn't even come up And what's worse when I run a new installation from a disk there's an error too http s some programs not working after system restore postimg org qvt wdcst Untitled png I've never come across something like this I don't know what to do

A:some programs not working after system restore

So I managed to uninstall Office through a 3rd party software.. but I still have trouble installing it back (a different error now). I run as administrator and have full user rights on the folder..

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/some-programs-not-working-after-system-restore-890073.html
Relevancy 74.82%

Hey so not system working after some programs restore after I did windows updates after a long time it s for a good reason that I am not updating the notebook failed to start correctly After the windows loading screen only different tones of black were flashing - probably bad graphics driver Anyway I managed to do a system restore Although it said it wasn t successful it works But now some programs won t start From Adobe AfterEffects starts without problems but Photoshop and Illustrator has an some programs not working after system restore error http s postimg org q kbdfe image png Microsoft Office won t open as well http s postimg org s rtfhonh image png http s postimg org qn k pe image png http s postimg org b iz lhn image png When I try to uninstall Office completely the set-up window doesn t even come up And what s worse when I run a new installation from a disk there s an error too http s postimg org qvt wdcst Untitled png I ve never come across something like this I don t know what to do Edit So I managed to uninstall Office through a rd party software but I still have trouble installing it back a different error now I run as administrator and have full user rights on the folder nbsp

A:some programs not working after system restore

Can't edit the question any more, but I got MS Office working again..
Still need to figure out PS and AI though.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/some-programs-not-working-after-system-restore.1133115/
Relevancy 73.96%

Dear All,

My laptop (Dell Inspiron 2013 64-bit) was playing up today and instead of restarting it, I foolishly clicked on the option to "refresh the pc". Little did I know that this would remove all my current programs....

I decided then to do a System Restore. Now, all my programs are back, however, the majority of my programs such Firefox, Microsoft Office and such will not even open!!!

I would just like to know if there is anyway to get these programs running again without having to reinstall them all?

I would deeply appreciate any help in resolving this matter.

Thanks in advance!

A:After system restore, majority of programs not working

If you did a system restore after the Refresh, it was too late. Roy will have to reinstall those programs.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/51332-after-system-restore-majority-programs-not-working.html
Relevancy 73.96%

I recently had a virus that norton could not pick up It the suggestion of a friend I installed and ran combofix It deleted and not System working remove programs restore add and the virus for sure but it also System restore and add and remove programs not working did much more I knew this was a risk but I did choose to take it It disabled my network at first but I was able to succeed in restoring that However it has removed the complete list of all items in the quot Add and Remove Programs quot I have registry mechanic and I did a restore point with that but still nothing I also ran the quot Regsvr Appwiz cpl command It says it was successfull but still nothing I cannot run system restore either as it tells me I am not able to restore a previous time although there are valid restore points listed I tried reloading Windows XP but my disc version is older then my installed I installed from Microsoft Website a few years ago So the only way to reload is to uninstall windows and reinstall I dont want to do that and from what I can see microsoft no longer offers XP on thier site for download I am no familier enough with reg keys to use the Recovery Console The only thing I have not done is quot System Restore in safe mode as it does not create a restore point to undo the changes and I dont want to chance it Does anyone have any ideas how to get the add and remove programs back and to get system restore to work One more think Comboxfix created a list of my programs that were in add and remove its in the form of notebook is thier a way to use this to restore Thanks

A:System restore and add and remove programs not working

did you reboot after that command its very important.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/250268/system-restore-and-add-and-remove-programs-not-working/
Relevancy 73.96%

Ill start with hardware specs Im using a HP Pavilion dv ea running Windows Ultimate Intel Core Duo CPU T GHz Typing this off System Info I havent really learnt anything about hardware but I'm assuming this is all you need to Aren't Programs Working? know Right I have Programs Aren't Working? a gb hard drive a few days Programs Aren't Working? ago I decided to install WoW after years of not playing it last time I played it required about gb to install and I had about gb left so I thought I'd just install and it'd be fine but no As I began to install I had a message saying I needed at least gb free so I decided to wipe about gb of music and gb of software since I was freeing up space I thought I'd delete things I didn't need and since doing so my laptop has turned on me The only changes made to Programs Aren't Working? my laptop have been the deletion of music and some un-needed software and the installation of WoW surely this wouldn't mess my laptop up So after rebooting following the installation of WoW I noticed that my CPU and weather 'gadget' had kind of disappeared the icon to move them was still there but the interface wasn't I believe it's called an interface haha The CPU gadget was just like a small white box and the weather one was just not there But this is the least of my problems Since then by the way the WoW installation was nights ago - Christmas night well as of today my Windows Media Player refuses to work the mouse cursor shows signs of loading for about a second but the program doesn't open I have googled but no luck with what's wrong About an hour ago I turned the laptop off to shower let it cool down for a bit - HP Pavilion overheat when I turned it back on my Windows Live Messenger wouldn't start either Its doing the same thing Windows Media Player is doing I have absolutely no idea what could be wrong hopefully someone here knows And whilst I'm here I have another issue which may just be programming errors or my laptop could be screwed When I bought this laptop about years ago it had gb RAM installed it used to be really fast but recently it has been running pretty slow So whilst looking at System Information according to 'Glary Utilities' earlier well as I started this post I noticed 'Memory - MB Speed ' I'm not sure what the Speed part means but according to the System Info in Windows control panel my installed memory is gb how is this possible If anyone can help me with this too I'd be really really grateful especially if my laptop runs better haha Thanks for any help in advance D

Relevancy 73.96%

Hi, this is my first post and im not sure if this is the right forum for my problem.
So I have this 6 year old laptop, I recently did a clean windows XP reinstall for it. After installing Internet, Graphics and Audio drivers, some programs still don't work. They either have graphics problems or they crash at start. Some don't even start up, although they are in the processes list in task manager
They work perfectly in my other computer also running XP.

Why don't they work with this one?

If you need any additional details then just ask, but also tell me how to find them.

Relevancy 73.1%

Hi A horrible virus took over our computer in a period of about mins this morning Icons began disappearing from the desktop and the All Programs menu in the quot Start quot menu not menu System programs" restore working "All empty, emptied and the task manager stopped working- stating only an administrator could open it I ran Malwarebytes in safe mode which seems to have found a trojan downloader and "All programs" menu empty, System restore not working a number of other nasties and cleared them all up but we still have the following problems The quot All programs quot menu in the quot Start quot is empty When I open Windows Explored and look at the My Computer folder then Local Disk C the folder is empty System restore won "All programs" menu empty, System restore not working t work- I tried using the command prompt in safe mode C windows system restore rstrui exe and get the message System restore is unable to protect your computer Please restart your computer and try again After restarting no change I have tried using the quot system restore enable from www kellys-korner-xp com but no joy Malwarebytes won t update- it says An error has occured Please report his error code to our support team PROGRAM ERROR UPDATING Create file Access is denied Sophos Malwarebytes and spybot all either freeze or close during scanning in normal mode- they can only be used in safe mode this part is not a new problem but only Malwarebytes is currently visible in safe mode On the plus side task manager is working again thanks to Kellys-Korner-xp com I ve searched though the forums and can t find anyone who s had exactly "All programs" menu empty, System restore not working the same problems Sorry I know you say to only list one problem in each topic but they all seem interrelated so I thought it might help to post them all together I wonder if I could get the system restore to work all my problems may be solved Maybe Please help

A:"All programs" menu empty, System restore not working

I have this exact same problem, can anyone help??

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/387051/all-programs-menu-empty-system-restore-not-working/
Relevancy 73.1%

I am running a legitimate copy of Windows 8.
After I rebooted my laptop 3 days ago, when I open a program, it would take 3-5 minutes to load or it loads right away and once I click on the program it freezes and stops responding.
I have already ran virus scans, used CCleaner, AdwCleaner, MalwareBytes StartUpLite, ran hardware diagnostics and nothing works.
I ran my computer in safemode and all my programs came up and loaded fast.
By loaded I mean to be able to visually see it(GUI).
When I open something it'll be active in task manager but take forever to show up on my desktop.
This has been happening for 3 days, please help.

A:Programs aren't working correctly.

I would post in malware/virus removal just to make sure.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/programs-arent-working-correctly-762753.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Edit: Found optional update was needed to stop this stuff from happening. If this can be deleted please do.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/568781/random-programs-arent-working/
Relevancy 73.1%

I am running a legitimate copy of Windows 8.
After I rebooted my laptop 3 days ago, when I open a program, it would take 3-5 minutes to load or it loads right away and once I click on the program it freezes and stops responding.
I have already ran virus scans, used CCleaner, AdwCleaner, MalwareBytes StartUpLite, ran hardware diagnostics and nothing works.
I ran my computer in safemode and all my programs came up and loaded fast.
By loaded I mean to be able to visually see it(GUI).
When I open something it'll be active in task manager but take forever to show up on my desktop.
This has been happening for 3 days, please help.

A:Programs aren't working correctly.

Hello and Welcome to TSF.

If you haven't already, please Subscribe to this Thread to get immediate notification of replies as soon as they are posted. To do this click Thread Tools, then click Subscribe to this Thread. Make sure it is set to Instant notification by email, then click Add Subscription.

Please note that the forum is very busy and if I don't hear from you within three days this thread will be closed.

------------------------------------------------------

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined here:

NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post/attach the logs in your next reply.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/programs-arent-working-correctly-762761.html
Relevancy 71.38%

hey guys like what i said above my task manager is not working at all i tried to right clicking the taskbar or other programs Manager working Task and installed aren't press ctrl alt del none of those worked this just happened days ago and yesterday i clicked on one of my mp files it said quot to use window media player log off windows log back on and then start window media player quot that's not it when i tried to edit a picture file i right clicked on the file and chosed edit which will normally have Paint open up with the picture in it but this time it gave me that quot Open With window and it asked me which program i wanted to open with quot this happened to alot of my other programs suck as Lexmark Scanner Adobe Photoshop MSN and none of them works when i clicked it so i googled my program and most of the forums mentioned something abt HiJackThis so i installed it and i got this so what's the problem with my computer please please help thanks in advance Logfile of Task Manager and other installed programs aren't working HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Unable to get Internet Explorer version Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system Task Manager and other installed programs aren't working winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXE C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Anti-Virus avp exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C WINDOWS system lxctcoms exe C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Anti-Virus avp exe C WINDOWS SOUNDMAN EXE C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Nokia Nokia PC Suite PCSync exe C Program Files Nokia Nokia PC Suite PCSuite exe C Program Files MicroStar WLANUtility WlanUtility exe C Program Files MicroStar WLANUtility WLAN Service exe C Program Files PC Connectivity Solution ServiceLayer exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files PC Connectivity Solution Transports NclRSSrv exe C Program Files Common Files Nokia MPAPI MPAPI s exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe E Personal Administrator My Documents HiJackThis HijackThis exe O - BHO ThunderIEHelper Class - A D-D - B A- F - D F - C WINDOWS system xunleibho v dll O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - C C A-E - b - D - CECB - no file O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - E E F - CE- C -BC -EABFE F C - C Program Files Java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll O - HKLM Run AVP quot C Program Files Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Anti-Virus avp exe quot O - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe install O - HKLM Run SoundMan SOUNDMAN EXE O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer KHALMNPR EXE O - HKLM Run iTunesHelper quot C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe quot O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKCU Run CTFMON EXE C WINDOWS system CTFMON EXE O - HKCU Run Nokia PCSync quot C Program Files Nokia Nokia PC Suite PCSync exe quot NoDialog O - HKCU Run PC Suite Tray quot C Program Files Nokia Nokia PC Suite PCSuite exe quot -onlytray O - Startup OneNote Screen... Read more

A:Task Manager and other installed programs aren't working

Hello,

Logfiles will only be looked at in the Security Forum. If you suspect that your

system is infected then please follow the instruction below

There are some different tools that the analyst will require after completing a few

steps. Please post in the following forum just follow the link below.

Maybe someone in our security forum would be able to better assist you.

At this point I recommend that you visit the security forum.

To get expert help with malware removal see the link below. Follow the steps

http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...oval-help.html

After completing the steps you will be advised to post a log for one of

the experts to examine. Please use the link provided to post the log not

back here.

Be patient and it may take some time for someone to assist you as that

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/task-manager-and-other-installed-programs-arent-working-366053.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I m trying to blame Easy Cleaner for this I made a registry backup and Easy Cleaner made a backup itself before I told it to clean my registry It scanned and removed a lot of registry entries The number was staggering I rebooted later and suddenly noticed that my logon had changed Instead of the Windows XP style You know display of names to the right click one enter password etc I was back to the old Windows gray floating box with username and password entries I didn t like it So I went in and used my registry backup restarted and it was still the gray floating box I went in and used Easy Cleaner s backup and still the gray floating box So I got miffed and tried to go uninstall Easy Cleaner And I Device Add/Remove Programs and aren't working... Manager couldn t access my Add Remove Programs But naturally I could Add/Remove Programs and Device Manager aren't working... still access it through Easy Cleaner itself so I used Easy Cleaner to uninstall itself gt gt So for about a week now I have been unable to get to Add Remove Add/Remove Programs and Device Manager aren't working... Programs and I just today found out that the Device Manager under My Computer - Properties isn t working either The same thing happens with them both The computer is busy for a second like it s trying to load them And then nothing opens nbsp

A:Add/Remove Programs and Device Manager aren't working...

And yes, I tried just re-enabling the welcome screen, it doesn't work. Welcome Screen is enabled, Fast User Switching is enabled - I still get windows classic logon. And sorry for the double post but this was three pages back and I really need help...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/add-remove-programs-and-device-manager-arent-working.365663/
Relevancy 70.09%

I am on Dell Optiplex 780 running Windows 7 Professional. I recently obtained this computer from a family member. However, they could not remember the log in for it (when you first turn it on you go through ctrl-alt-del then are prompted to enter password).

I tried Ophcrack, it said it was not able to crack any passwords.

I also tried Offline NT Password & Registry Editor. This did not work either. I had a little bit of trouble with it- the username listed in the welcome screen was not one of those listed when I ran the tool. So, if someone is familiar enough with it maybe they can help me figure out what I am doing wrong? If not, some other way for me to recover or reset my password?

Thank you in advance for your help.

A:Forgot pw- recovery/reset programs aren't working (Windows 7 Professional)

Use Offline NT Password & Registry Editor to enable the Hidden Administrator Account. Once that is enabled you can change the password of the the other accounts using the Administrator Account.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/530385/forgot-pw-recoveryreset-programs-arent-working-windows-7-professional/
Relevancy 69.23%

To start I downloaded and installed Azureus awhile ago with no trouble at all The program ran like a & working, of download buggy, slow some aren't troubles, programs Processes sort dream and I was very very happy with it The only problem I had before this was with Graal Online a game that I had toyed around with some time before I wanted to play with it again so I downloaded and installed it The shortcut appeared on my desktop and I double clicked it to get it to run Nothing happened I waited Processes & some programs aren't working, download troubles, buggy, sort of slow for a few seconds expecting something to appear on my screen I waited for around a minute and still nothing By now I was getting annoyed so I reinstalled it and tried again Same thing After that I uninstalled Graal figuring that the program might have been buggy It was the last thing on my mind for awhile that is Processes & some programs aren't working, download troubles, buggy, sort of slow until I installed Azureus As I Processes & some programs aren't working, download troubles, buggy, sort of slow said the program ran like a dream for a long while but then after a few weeks of using it it stopped working Simple as that I double clicked the shortcut on my desktop to no avail I even went as far as going into its program folder and running the exe file That didn't work either I even tried making a new shortcut but nothing would work I uninstalled Azureus and reinstalled it again Same thing happened To this day Azureus still does not work and I'm getting sick of it Now my computer is being very buggy and a bit slow at times In fact when running Mozilla Firefox I went to Nexon's website and tried installing Maplestory for the one fact that it like Graal and Azureus refused to work after awhile This time I was greeted by the download simply stopping I tried again and again perhaps or more times before I gave up Then Internet Explorer went buggy Sometimes when I try to install things the download simply refuses to launch I have already posted a HiJackThis Log and it didn't prove helpful at all I'm running MS Windows XP SP an Intel Pentium D CPU GHz I have MBs of RAM and have a RADEON X X video card Someone please help me I'm at wit's end

A:Processes & some programs aren't working, download troubles, buggy, sort of slow

Hello

Sorry but TSF does not allow or support the use of P2P programs
Below are the rules about P2P.

Quote:

We believe that the main purpose of P2P programs is to illegally download and use copyrighted material of whatever description. We further understand that there may be legal uses for P2P, but as we are not able to assess a user's intent when he/ she asks for help, we do not support P2P software and we will not assist any user in this regard. This includes but is not limited to Bearshare, Kazaa and many others.

I would suggest to read the rules before posting again, to make sure that you dont make the mistake again! Click here for rules and also look at the FAQ Click here to view

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/processes-and-some-programs-arent-working-download-troubles-buggy-sort-of-slow-166165.html
Relevancy 69.23%

To start I downloaded and installed Azureus awhile ago with no trouble at all The program ran like a dream and I was very very happy with it The only problem I had before this was with Graal Online a game that I had toyed around with some time before I wanted to play with it again so I downloaded and installed it The shortcut appeared on my desktop and I double clicked it to get it to run Nothing happened I waited for & troubles, working, sort buggy, programs of some slow aren't download Processes a few seconds expecting something Processes & some programs aren't working, download troubles, buggy, sort of slow to appear on my screen I waited for around a minute and still nothing By now I was getting annoyed so I reinstalled it and tried again Same thing After that I uninstalled Graal figuring that the program might have been buggy It was the last thing on my mind for awhile that is until I installed Azureus As I said the program ran like a dream for a long while but then Processes & some programs aren't working, download troubles, buggy, sort of slow after a few weeks of using it it stopped working Simple as that I double clicked the shortcut on my desktop to no avail I even went as far as going into its program folder and running the exe file That didn t work either I even tried making a new shortcut but nothing would work I uninstalled Azureus and reinstalled it again Same thing happened To this day Azureus still does not work and I m getting sick of it Now my computer is being very buggy and a bit slow at times In fact when running Mozilla Firefox I went to Nexon s website and tried installing Maplestory for the one fact that it like Graal and Azureus refused to work after awhile This time I was greeted by the download simply stopping I tried again and again perhaps or more times before I gave up Then Internet Explorer went buggy Sometimes when I try to install things the download simply refuses to launch I have already posted a HiJackThis Log and it didn t prove helpful at all I m running MS Windows XP SP an Intel Pentium D CPU GHz I have MBs of RAM and have a RADEON X X video card Someone please help me I m at wit s end nbsp

A:Processes & some programs aren't working, download troubles, buggy, sort of slow

We cannot help with any issues with Azureus as forum Rules prohibit it.

If you think you have other unrelated issues, post a HijackThis log.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processes-some-programs-arent-working-download-troubles-buggy-sort-of-slow.593190/
Relevancy 67.94%

Here's the problem:
I have a pc which is running windows 8.1 and my system metro apps are not working. The live tiles of system apps like mail, calender, people, news etc are completely blank and title of these live tiles are also unusual like " mail.microsoft.system" and when i click on it the app starts and suspends in background and when i revoke it using task manager it again suspends. Please help!! I'm tired of this. I dont want to reset my pc as i have some important data and dont have enough time to back it up. Also there is an exception the store metro app works with proper live information. Other metro apps do work like vlc, wikipedia, etc.

A:Why aren't my system metro apps working?

Please can anybody help?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-8/346102-why-arent-my-system-metro-apps-working.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hello,
I turned on my computer and realized that all of my files and programs were missing amongst all restore points. I ran Microsoft Security Essentials and no viruses were found. Is there any way to recover the lost data or is it a lost cause. I have a Toshiba, Windows 7, Intel Pentium. I am praying that I can recover this.
Thanks,
Ryan

A:All files/ programs delete and system restore points..Is it possible to restore data?

Check your user's folder, are you using the same logon account ? Sometimes windows logon fails and you get directed to a temporary account + folders and all your files will seem missing, when instead you are not looking at your previous documents folder.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/all-files-programs-delete-and-system-restore-points-is-it-possible-to-restore-data.1140283/
Relevancy 62.78%

I accidentally closed nightmare, for requesting tapes that aren't needed Yosemite restore restore Backup a Google Chrome window with many tabs and for some reason I no longer have the quot Reopen last closed window quot option in Chrome just reopen last closed tab So I went to restore the Chrome state from my tape backup but for the first time since I started a tape rotation Yosemite backup insisted on getting every single backup tape I ever used even though all required data was on a single tape there didn't seem to be a way for it to make it understand all the data was on one tape I think if I forced it to use just the correct tape it restored to what seemed to be several weeks ago even though a backup from the day before Backup restore nightmare, Yosemite requesting tapes that aren't needed for restore was on the tape I ended up restoring it from my second emergency backup that's done to a removable hard drive I clearly don't understand how to do the restore I want in Yosemite backup any idea why it insisted on getting like tapes when all data needed was on a single tape Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/backup-restore-nightmare-yosemite-requesting-tapes-that-arent-needed-for-restore-1160601.html
Relevancy 61.49%

After doing a system restore I noticed a couple of programs I had installed were gone. This is not a problem because I do not need them. My question is are the programs completely gone or are there still parts of them on the hard drive somewhere? The programs were a Mal-ware remover (Emisoft) and Driver Sweeper.

A:System Restore and Programs that were installed before restore

Hello Radman,

When you do a system restore, it will also restore your programs to how they were at the time the restore point was created.

System Restore

Any program installed after the restore point are completely removed. You will need to reinstall them again if you like.

Any program that was installed at the time the restore point was created and uninstalled afterwards, will be restored.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/277126-system-restore-programs-were-installed-before-restore.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I'm trying to download Microsoft Home & Student 2010 onto my HP Laptop. It gets halfway through the installation & then says that it can't finish because it found another version of Microsoft already on my computer. I checked my computer, but it doesn't have any Microsoft listed as being installed on my computer. How can I uninstall it, if it's not listed under the installed programs list?!?!

Relevancy 60.63%

I have Windows Defender and McAfee Security Center anti virus softwares When I run them they are telling that I does'nt have any virus But I am unable to Go to previous restore points and many exe Calender Restore System Clicking My Is Arrow On To Restore Working To Unable Not On Previous The Back Dates, The files are missing in the C Window System folder quot Warning Spyware detected on your computer Install an antivirus or spyware removal to clean your computer quot error came on the desktop Whole desktop was white with an orange color box in between with Unable To Restore My System To Previous Dates, Clicking On The Back Arrow On The Restore Calender Is Not Working the above warning Antivirus something like that was installed on the desktop and in the control panel so first I removed the software icon from the desktop and the control panel Next I went to System and removed the recent files But I was Unable to restore to go to a previous date to Unable To Restore My System To Previous Dates, Clicking On The Back Arrow On The Restore Calender Is Not Working get rid of the virus My System restore is infected I believe I don't have that much knowledge in this field So kindly let me know in detail what I can do to remove the whole virus Yes System restore was working properly before I noticed this as soon as the the virus came I have ran the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware but still I am unable to go back to my previous system restore points and system is operation very slowly Please find the log file here Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files Windows Defender MsMpEng exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC PROGRA COMMON AOL ACS AOLacsd exeC Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate ALUSchedulerSvc exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared PIF B E DD - - c -B F- F FCA A PIFSvc exeC Program Files McAfee MBK MBackMonitor exeC PROGRA McAfee MSC mcmscsvc exec PROGRA COMMON mcafee mna mcnasvc exec PROGRA COMMON mcafee mcproxy mcproxy exeC PROGRA McAfee VIRUSS mcshield exeC Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXEC Program Files McAfee MPF MPFSrv exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exeC WINDOWS System WLTRYSVC EXEC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC WINDOWS System bcmwltry exec PROGRA mcafee com agent mcagent exeC PROGRA McAfee VIRUSS mcsysmon exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC WINDOWS system WLTRAY exeC Program Files Dell QuickSet quickset exeC Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exeC Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exeC Program Files Dell MediaDirect PCMService exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared PIF B E DD - - c -B F- F FCA A PIFSvc exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exeC Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exeC WINDOWS V Mon exeC Program Files Winamp winampa exeC Program Files SweetIM Messenger SweetIM exeC Program Files McAfee MBK McAfeeDataBackup exeC WINDOWS system hkcmd exeC WINDOWS system igfxpers exeC WINDOWS stsystra exeC Program Files NetWaiting netWaiting exeC Program Files Dell Support DSAgnt exeC WINDOWS system igfxsrvc exeC Program Files Messenger msmsgs exeC Program Files Picasa PicasaMediaDetector exeC Program Files Creative Creative Live Cam Live Cam Manager CTLCMgr exeC Program Files DNA btdna exeC Program Files Digital Line Detect DLG exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files Yahoo Messenger ymsgr tray exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Program Files Java jre bin jucheck exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exeC WINDOW... Read more

A:Unable To Restore My System To Previous Dates, Clicking On The Back Arrow On The Restore Calender Is Not Working

Hello Ashakins and welcome at BleepingComputer,Sorry to have kept you waiting for so long, but the forums are really busy.If you still need help :Please don't run 2 active virusscanners at once, make a choice and remove the other one completely through Control Panel > Software, along with SweetIM.1. * Clean your Cache and Cookies in IE:Close all instances of Outlook Express and Internet Explorer Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > General tabUnder Browsing History, click Delete. Click Delete Files, Delete cookies and Delete historyClick Close below.* Clean your Cache and Cookies in Firefox (In case you also have Firefox installed):Go to Tools > Options.Click Privacy in the menu..Click the Clear now button below.. A new window will popup what to clear.Select all and click the Clear button again.Click OK to close the Options window* Clean other Temporary files + Recycle bin Go to start > run and type: cleanmgr and click ok. Let it scan your system for files to remove. Make sure Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, and Recycle Bin are the only things checked.Press OK to remove them.2. After reboot,Start HijackThis, close all open windows leaving only HijackThis running. Place a check against each of the following, if still present :O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SweetIM] C:\Program Files\SweetIM\Messenger\SweetIM.exeClick on Fix Checked when finished and exit HijackThis.Make sure your Internet Explorer is closed when you click Fix Checked!3. Your JavaVM is also out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update.Updating Java:Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 7.Scroll down to where it says The Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications.Click the Download button to the right.Select your Platform (Windows version) and check the box that says: Accept License AgreementThe page will refresh.Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation (jre-6u7-windows-i586-p.exe) and save to your desktop.Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.Go to Start > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u7-windowsi586-p.exe to install the newest version.4. Download RSIT by random/random and save it to your desktop.Double click on RSIT.exe to run it.Click Continue at the disclaimer screen.If it cannot locate TrendMicro's HijackThis, the tool will be downloaded, so please allow the download and accept the installation.Once it has finished, two logs will open. Please post the contents of both log.txt (<<will be maximized) and info.txt (<<will be minimized)Greetings,Thunder

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/164368/unable-to-restore-my-system-to-previous-dates-clicking-on-the-back-arrow-on-the-restore-calender-is-not-working/
Relevancy 60.63%

new here, don't know if this is posted or not but my friend's com have this kind of problem,

when the windows boot in, it will complain the file c:\windows rundl132.exe is not found and also currently what i know cannot run in the com is the system file in the control panel, system restore, remove programs and application and also microsoft word.

i am guessing is just some corruption but it does not seems like it, can any one tell me which spyware is it and how to find the way to delete it?
thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/66237/windows-complains-file-rundl132exe-not-found-cannot-go-into-system-cannot-use-remove-programs-cannot-use-system-restore-and-more/
Relevancy 59.77%

Automatic Restore Points is not working in System Restore. Task Scheduler is empty during last 30 days.

A:Automatic restore points is not working in system restore

Hello Rocasan,

Double check to make sure that System Protection is turned on for your Windows drive.

Next, use the free program CCleaner to see what it shows for what restore points you may have like below.

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/29273-automatic-restore-points-not-working-system-restore.html
Relevancy 58.91%

When Im trying to resotre the system restore. It give no effect.
When Im trying to create the restore point. It gives the follwing message "System restore is not able to create a resotre point. Please restart the computer, and then run the system restore again"

And also I have update problem in the F-Secure anti virus.
And also I have a booting problem, after boot windows xp icons apperars when I was click any icon it hang.

A:System Restore is not working creating/Restore

click on start then control panel then system in there you should see system restore. clcik on it , make sure you tick off Turn off on all system drive then click ok then go back to restore again. unless you have corrupted window which means you need a new window installation. good luck

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/system-restore-is-not-working-creating-restore-327832.html
Relevancy 58.91%

When I try to back up and restore (my files) it does not complete. I get the message disk full. I tried to uncheck the (shut off and delte all files from system restore) but that does not help. When I check the amount of space available on the D drive, it shows as full, but system restore seems to work; any suggestions?

A:Backup and restore (Not System Restore) Not Working

What are you using to backup your system?

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/27645-backup-restore-not-system-restore-not-working.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi!
I recently noticed that when I do a Google search, the link redirects me to random ad sites, making it nearly impossible to get to the page that I want. I tried System Restore, only to realize it won't let me go past the last step. Also, my CD/DVD drive doesn't seem to be working. You can watch movies and discs in the drive, but it will not recognize a blank disc for burning music or photos.
I have AVG, and it has only detected tracking cookies. I scan with Malwarebytes on a regular basis, and it never seems to find anything. I scanned with AdAware, and it detected tracking cookies as well. I clean out my Cookies and Temporary Internet Files folder quite frequently, but I can't seem to fix the problem.

Thanks for your help!

A:Google links redirect, CD/DVD drive not working, system restore not working.

Please download RootRepeal Rootkit Detector and save it to your Desktop. * Close all programs and temporarily disable your anti-virus, Firewall and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. * Click this link to see a list of such programs and how to disable them. * Create a new folder on your hard drive called RootRepeal (C:\RootRepeal) and extract (unzip) RootRepeal.zip. (click here if you're not sure how to do this. Vista users refer to this link.) * Open the folder and double-click on RootRepeal.exe to launch it. If using Vista, right-click and Run as Administrator... * Click on the Files tab, then click the Scan button. * In the Select Drives, dialog Please select drives to scan: select all drives showing, then click OK. * When the scan has completed, a list of files will be generated in the RootRepeal window. * Click on the Save Report button and save it as rootrepeal.txt to your desktop or the same location where you ran the tool from. * Open rootrepeal.txt in Notepad and copy/paste its contents in your next reply. * Exit RootRepeal and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.Note: If RootRepeal cannot complete a scan and results in a crash report, try repeating the scan in "Safe Mode".

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/241911/google-links-redirect-cddvd-drive-not-working-system-restore-not-working/
Relevancy 58.05%

Every time I try to run anything I get the message "Do you want to run or save this file"

Can't access System Restore. I get the same message.
Malwarebytes. I get the same message.
Can't get into Firefox.
Can't download Hijack This as I get the same message.
I go to Computer and Properties. Same message.

At my wits end. Going into Safe Mode and last good configuration. Didn't help.

C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe. Ii got the same message.

Can someone guide me into the registry and remove this messsage? I won't go in there alone.
Can't get into Regedit.

I have Windows Vista Ultimate installed. I've been using Vista since January and never had any problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated but I have to get some sleep right now. I've been at this for quite a while now.

Thanks-

A:can't run any programs or system restore

Finally got a System Restore using my installation disk. All is well.

Still, I'm wondering what caused this to happen so I can avoid this occuring again. Also, yesterday was my only system restore point even though I have 8 MB dedictated to this task.

I'm posting my Hijack This log. Could someone please go through it and point out anything that doesn't belong there?

Tx-

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:23:08 AM, on 10/20/2009
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18828)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Windows\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Windows\System32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\OO Software\Defrag\oodtray.exe
C:\Windows\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Terminator\SpywareTerminatorUpdate.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\Program Files\IE New Window Maximizer\iemaximizer.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Download Manager\IDMan.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Download Manager\IEMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10c.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = Preserve
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://us.mc1103.mail.yahoo.com/mc/welcome?.gx=1&.tm=1255903572&.rand=1lems3pqon0jg
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: IDM Helper - {0055C089-8582-441B-A0BF-17B458C2A3A8} - C:\Program Files\Internet Download Manager\IDMIECC.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nod32kui] "C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe" /WAITSERVICE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpywareTerminator] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Terminator\SpywareTerminatorShield.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OODefragTray] C:\Program Files\OO Software\Defrag\oodtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RestartNeroSetup] "C:\Users\Chuck\AppData\Local\Temp\NERO13904\Setupx.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpywareTerminatorUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Terminator\SpywareTerminatorUpdate.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-run-any-programs-or-system-restore.870066/
Relevancy 57.62%

I have windows 7 home premuim 64 bit
I went to create restore point on my new dell and after about an 1/2 hour of waiting for SR to open up I got this:

You have no Restore Points. Use System Protection to create restore point.
When I attempt to turn on System Protection, it doesn't show any drives available when it opens -- it just says that it's searching for available drives and it keeps searching and doesn't stop. Eventually, I'll receive the following Error Message:

"There was an unexpected error in the property page: System Restore encounter an error. Please try to run System Restore again (0x81000203)." also all button are greyed out. I wanted take an image to show you but that's not working either. Is there hope?

Thank you.

A:Windows 7 Home Premuim System Restore and System Protection not working.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-home-premuim-system-restore-and-system-protection-not-working.917406/
Relevancy 57.62%

Accidentally deleted important files system restore not working I accidentally deleted some important files when trying to free up space on my laptop Now when I startup it cannot go to my user I lost my email settings other functions My docs are accessible by going to My Computer then to drive C then to the user etc However from my Start menu I can t get to them by simply clicking My Documents I ve tried to do some repairs using SYSTEM important system files, Accidentally deleted restore not working Microsoft Knowledgebase but so far have been unsuccessful I tried some of the suggested things and have made alist of many of the files that are missing when I tried to do a system repair These files are not in the recovery section c windows ServicePackFiles i The list is here Lmmib Accidentally deleted important SYSTEM files, system restore not working dll spider exe clipbrd exe hostmib dll staxmem dll admexs dll appconf dll iisadmin dll iisfecnv dll infocomm dll iscomlog dll I ran HiJackThis and the results are below any ideas would be helpful Thanks Carol Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin WLKeeper exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS eHome ehRecvr exe C WINDOWS eHome ehSched exe C WINDOWS ehome ehtray exe C Program Files Intel Wireless bin ZCfgSvc exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXE C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ifrmewrk exe C Accidentally deleted important SYSTEM files, system restore not working Program Files Norton Security Suite Engine ccSvcHst exe C WINDOWS stsystra exe C Program Files Dell QuickSet quickset exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE cli exe C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe C Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint ipoint exe C WINDOWS vVX exe C Program Files Dell Support DSAgnt exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Dell QuickSet NICCONFIGSVC exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Canon CAL CALMAIN exe C Program Files Digital Line Detect DLG exe C Program Files Norton Security Suite Engine ccSvcHst exe C WINDOWS system dllhost exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C WINDOWS eHome ehmsas exe C PROGRA Intel Wireless Bin Dot XCfg exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE cli exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD DVDLauncher exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office ONENOTEM EXE C Program Files Microsoft Office Office MSOSYNC EXE C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C WINDOWS system msiexec exe C Program Files Trend Micro HiJackThis HiJackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www google com ig dell hl en amp suk amp channel us R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accidentally-deleted-important-system-files-system-restore-not-working.993331/
Relevancy 57.62%

Is there any way to skip the installation of certain programs during a full factory system restore? For one example, I have an antivirus I use rather than what OEMs choose. Currently I have to let the system install it, only to then uninstall it.

It seems there are different restore schemes. HP seems to do everything in one operation. Acer restores Windows and then adds its own programs afterward.

Is this what Image-X's Audit is used for?

A:Skipping programs during system restore?

Why not do a clean install and do it exactly how you want ?

Clean Install Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/362116-skipping-programs-during-system-restore.html
Relevancy 57.62%

System restore has stopped working. It allows me to try to restore to a previous date but when it goes through the process ends with the response that it was unable to complete. I have tried several restore points.

I also, just in the last week or so, am unable to get to my programs from the control panel. I can open add/delete programs and get the message Please wait while list is being populated but then nothing happens.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

A:System Restore and Add/Delete programs

Hello Aktxhill,

You might have a possible virus or malware in your computer. Try posting this under Security Forum, the Prof's can help you and pretty good at these.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/system-restore-and-add-delete-programs-424135.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I believe my laptop has be hijacked, trojaned, etc.
I am unable to run a number of programs. Most significant of them being system restore (not even in safe mode), Internet, and Spy-Bot & Ad-Aware SE.

Please help.

A:Programs Disabled, Cant System Restore.

I have run a 'Trojan Removal' Scan, but no malicious items were found. I'm stumped.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/programs-disabled-cant-system-restore-226145.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I uninstalled old versions of 2 programs (Photoshop CS4 and Firefox 3). I then found out I did something wrong and did a system restore to earlier that day. The system restore went fine and I recovered what I needed to. Those 2 programs were back in my "installed programs list" so I went to uninstall them again, but this time when I press the uninstall button nothing happens. Also if I try to open the programs nothing happens.

So they are there taking up harddrive space but I cant uninstall or open them.

How can I uninstall them now?

Thanks

A:can't uninstall 2 programs after system restore

Try,

Your Uninstaller

Revo Uninstaller

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/148895-cant-uninstall-2-programs-after-system-restore.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Some of my programs can't be started and they give me this message. (The service cannot be started either because it has been disabled or because there are no enabled devices associated with it.)
They have a symbol attached to them which looks like the security symbol.
It won't let me access system restore either.
It also wont let me download anything from the net.
i had comodo installed but i unistalled it a week or so ago as it's trial ran out but when i go into the security center to change it back to windows firewall it refuses to let me and it still says that commodo is the firewall.
It's confusing please help!!!!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/programs-cannot-be-started-and-cant-use-system-restore-249675.html
Relevancy 57.62%

So today I let my computer do the obligatory windows update that it tells me it's time for every so often I let it reset and install Later on I'm minding Restore run, will not including Programs System my own business cruising the net not Programs will not run, including System Restore even going to any sketchy sites when all of a sudden BOOM AVG tells me it's found a trojan and is quarantining it Firefox shuts down and the next thing I know I can't open programs Here's what's happening whenever I try to open a program from anywhere taskbar desktop start menu program files WHEREVER I get the prompt from the computer asking me to which program to use to open it Yeah you read that right it's asking me what program to use to open programs Uh-huh So I restart my computer Nothing changes I try to run system restore and get the SAME THING I even tried running it from the command line and it told me that quot net start quot System Restore Service quot quot was an invalid name Does anybody have any idea what's going on here Or even just a way I can force my computer to restore an old state

A:Programs will not run, including System Restore

Install, update and run a Full Scan using Malwarebytes .

Uninstall the AVG bloatware and install MS Security Essentials, run a Full Scan: Microsoft Security Essentials

Next run SFC -SCANNOW Command to check for damaged System Files, if necessary from DVD or Repair CD: SFC -SCANNOW Run in Command Prompt at Boot - Windows 7 Forums

If problems remain try System Restore again, if necessary from the DVD or Repair CD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/157683-programs-will-not-run-including-system-restore.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I run a 64bit Vista home premium, recently I had to do a Startup repair and after doing so I'd lost one of my recent installed games. The files for said game are still in my program folder, but its as if the OS isn't aware it exists anymore.

is there a way to make it search for said game?

A:Recovering Programs after System Restore

System Restore's can be "undone" as long as they were made from normal mode -- you can do this for a test to see if what you have lost was removed by the restore.

However "System Restores" are different than Startup Repairs -- which should only affect altered system files and basic startup configurations.

Restore's should not affect anything that was installed before the restore and should not affect anything in My Documents in any case.

If the game was installed after the restore point chosen, and you want to keep the restore -- you will have to reinstall the game or anything else you had installed in that period that you want to keep.

If you haven't done a System Restore -- there is probably no reason why you cannot now, if you have a restore point that exists after the game installation.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-programs-after-system-restore.847113/
Relevancy 57.62%

hi,

I would appreciate some advice as to correcting this problem.

Windows XP will boot and desktop icons are on. None of the icons will open their programs. the internet explorer opens but it tries to go to an Anti-Virus website, even when I type in "Yahoo" as a start page.
"SPYFalcon" po[ps up re-installing itself and popping up. And an icon on the TaskBar pops up every 15 seconds with a Alert to go to a website to get their Virus software.

I read that it might have something to do with a "rundll32.exe" file.
I don't know what to do next. Any help is very appreciated.

Dale

A:XP - won't open programs or system Restore...

Welcome to TSG

Please do this:

* Click here to download HJTsetup.exe

Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
Doubleclick on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Then wait for one of the security team to advise you

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-wont-open-programs-or-system-restore.445633/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hello I will try to explain this system restore Working System fine reboots to but as best System Working fine but reboots to system restore as I can so if you need any more information please ask and I will gladly answer If this is in the wrong forum I apologize If it is please redirect me and I will post it there I have built computers all containing the EXACT same hardware and software I install windows bit all the drivers for each component and activated the copy of windows The pc will run completely fine running any program I ask it to The problem does not happen until I reboot the computer now this is not always on the first reboot These computers could last a few days and then I reboot and it all breaks When I randomly reboot the system it will boot up showing problems and asking for a system restore So I do the system restore and reinstall a few drivers and the same problem will persist I eventually get fed up with the whole process and decide to completely reinstall Windows thinking maybe I could have done something wrong been doing this for years no problem but it happens After a completely random as far as I can tell amount of time and reboots the system will do it again I am completely stumped on this issue and could really use the help I have managed to get working for a few weeks now but they hard bent cpu pins from the factory and I straightened them out The other ones I have checked and they are fine so it seems The System is running an ASUS P Z -v PRO motherboard EVGA Nvidia TI graphics card i - CPU may be another i but all the ones I have been using have been this so it is safe to assume that is the one I am using pci serial port National Instruments sound input card Gb DDR Corsair XMS ram Corsair TX PSU I have a fairly high knowledge of PC's and troubleshooting but with this problem I am completely stumped Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

A:System Working fine but reboots to system restore

Check your ram.
Memory Diagnostics Tool
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
How to use memtest:
RAM - Test with Memtest86+

Also check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/346131-system-working-fine-but-reboots-system-restore.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Hello to all A month back I accidentally deleted and Refresh System System completely! Restore not working the wow node from my registry under system user I believe this is the root of all my problems Once I did that my toshiba c D bit would not boot I System Restore and System Refresh not working completely! forced the computer to shut down and pressed f to get to the system recovery options I then restored to a point before my blunder Well my laptop worked for a while and then magically the screen goes black and will not reboot I did sestem restore a System Restore and System Refresh not working completely! few more times since I could get a little bit of work done in between restoring and the screen turning black again System Restore and System Refresh not working completely! After I was fed up with having to run system restore every other day I decided to run system refresh to keep my files but reset everything else After restoring I am getting the same problem and find myself again running system restore every other day just to keep working My questions are if I completely reinstall windows and start from scratch will this definitely solve the problem I thought system refresh would have worked so I'm not sure Also are there any other available options for me to fix my computer without starting from scratch Thanks so much in advance -Aaron

A:System Restore and System Refresh not working completely!

Hi awrontherise,

Since you did not provide your specs, all my suggestions are just speculative in nature; however, I can tell you that a clean install will fix all system software corruption but if you also have hardware and/or driver issues they will have to be addressed separately. So, based on what you have told us so far, I would recommend this as your first step:

Repair Install Windows 8

Now, if the above doesn't work, you may have to take this route:

Clean Install - Windows 8

Good luck.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/33577-system-restore-system-refresh-not-working-completely.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hello I am having several issues with my laptop About days Programs, System Restore Issue with More & Default ago I Issue with Default Programs, System Restore & More noticed that I could only have one default program set at a time and the icon for that default program shows up for every program on my desktop For example if I attempt to open Firefox and iTunes is the last program I used my computer will open iTunes This means that anytime I want to use a different program I have to go into my C select the program and find the program again using the quot Open with quot tab at the top Using the Control Panel to try to set different default programs for different types of programs makes no difference I suspect an infection but neither Malware Bytes Anti-Malware nor Microsoft Security Essential found anything Shortly thereafter I found that I could no longer download or use other Malware cleaning tools such as TDSS Killer I click on the program and it begins to open but then completely stops When I go to System Restore I get a pop-up that says System Restore can t open Also all of these same issues occur when I m in Safe Mode Despite these issues I haven t noticed any difference in performance If anything my computer seems faster than normal I suspect my registry may be corrupted or something far worse Any help is much appreciated I use a -bit HP laptop with Windows GB RAM GHz Pentium Dual-Core Processor DDS Ver - - - NTFSAMD Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run by Lolita at on - - Microsoft Windows Home Premium GMT - AV Microsoft Security Essentials Enabled Updated DAC -C - B -BB - DA SP Microsoft Security Essentials Enabled Updated ABEC DA -E C- F - B -AA E D BDD SP Windows Defender Disabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF Running Processes C Windows system wininit exe C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS c Program Files Microsoft Security Client Antimalware MsMpEng exe C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Windows system Hpservice exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Windows system WLANExt exe C Windows system conhost exe C Windows System spoolsv exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SASCORE EXE C Windows System DriverStore FileRepository stwrt inf amd neutral c f a AESTSr exe C Program Files x Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files x Microsoft BingBar SeaPort EXE C Program Files x Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard Shared HPDrvMntSvc exe C Program Files x Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exe C Program Files x Memeo AutoBackup MemeoBackgroundService exe C Program Files x CyberLink Shared files RichVideo exe C Program Files x Seagate Seagate Dashboard SeagateDashboardService exe C Windows system svchost exe -k imgsvc c Program Files Microsoft Security Client Antimalware NisSrv exe C Windows system taskhost exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows system SearchIndexer exe C Windows system taskeng exe c Program Files x Hewlett-Packard Media DVD DVDAgent exe c Program Files x Hewlett-Packard TouchSmart Media Kernel CLML CLMLSvc exe C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Support Framework hpsa service exe C Program Files x Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files x Mozilla Firefox plugin-container exe C Program Files x Mozilla Firefox plugin-container exe C Program Files x Mozilla Firefox plugin-container exe C Windows system svchost exe -k SDRSVC C Windows system WUDFHost exe C Program Files x iTunes iTunes exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files x Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceHelper exe C Windows system con... Read more

A:Issue with Default Programs, System Restore & More

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps.===Nothing suspicious was found on your DDS log.Download FixNCR.regOnce that file is downloaded and saved on a removable devices, insert the removable device into the infected computer and open the folder the drive letter associated with it. You should now see the FixNCR.reg file that you had downloaded onto it. Double-click on the FixNCR.reg file to fix the Registry on your infected computer. You should now be able to run your normal executable programs and can proceed to the next step.If you do not have any removable media or another clean computer that you can download the FixNCR.reg file onto, you can try and download it to your infected computer using another method. On the infected computer, right click on the Internet Explorer's icon, or any other browser's icon, and select Run As or Run as Administrator. If you are using Windows XP, you will be prompted to select a user and enter its password. It is suggested that you attempt to login as the Administrator user. For Windows 7 or Windows Vista, you will be prompted to enter your Administrator account password.Once you enter the password, your browser will start and you can download the above FixNCR.reg file. When saving it, make sure you save it to a folder that can be accessed by your normal account. Remember, that you will be launching the browser as another user, so if you save it to a My Documents folder, it will not be your normal My Documents folder that it is downloaded into. Instead it will be the My Documents folder that belongs to the user you ran the browser as. Once the download has finished, close your browser and find the FixNCR.reg file that you downloaded. Now double-click on it and allow the data to be merged. You should now be able to run your normal executable programs and can proceed to the next step.===Please DownloadTDSSKiller.zip>>> Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application.Click on the Start Scan button and wait for the scan and disinfection process to be over.If an infected file is detected, the default action will be Cure, click on Continue
If a suspicious file is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue
If you are asked to reboot the computer to complete the process, click on the Reboot Now button. A report will be automatically saved at the root of the System drive ((usually C:\) in the form of "TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt" (for example, C:\TDSSKiller.2.2.0_20.12.2009_15.31.43_log.txt). Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.If no reboot is required, click on Report. A log file will appear. Please copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.Download http://public.avast.com/~gmerek/aswMBR.exe (aswMBR.exe) ( 511KB ) to your desktop. Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it Click the "Scan" button to start scan. Upon completion of the scan, click Save log, and save it to your desktop. (Note - do not select any Fix at this time) <- IMPORTANTPlease post the contents of that log in your next reply.There shall also be a file on your desktop named MBR.dat. Right click that file and select Send To>Compressed (zipped) folder. Please attach that zipped file in your next reply.===Please post the logs for my review.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/441600/issue-with-default-programs-system-restore-more/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi I did some downloading and installed a program After I was not able to open another program that I have never had trouble with If I try restoring Can't Restore open programs...System not to open the non-working program the hourglass appears for a few seconds after attempting the start the program but then nothing happens If I reboot everything seems to work besides this one program But if I try to open this program then other programs IE FF won t open or have trouble with lock ups if they are already open I tried uninstalling both the new and problematic Can't open programs...System Restore not restoring software rebooting and reinstalling but it didn t work Also I did a System Restore but it doesn t appear to work It will quot restore quot and reboot but the new software I installed long after the restore point is still on my computer And when I go back to restore screen it just has today s date as the last restore point Please help I tip Thanks Jeff

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/462158/cant-open-programssystem-restore-not-restoring/
Relevancy 56.76%

My brothers laptop was clicking on startup, and 2 out of 3 times showing the 'Insert boot media' screen. I presumed that it was a problem with the hdd as most clicking problems are either the hdd or fan, and since windows was not starting either, that was my guess. Anyway, I decided to try a system restore, and it worked! The laptop started every time with no click... But now no programs are opening. Windows applications like task manager are working but no other programs eg. Chrome. When opened, it appears to run in Task M for a few seconds and then exits. In the process of undoing the restore now. Any help???

A:Programs fail to start after System Restore

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Just because the ticking went away, doesn't mean the drive is still good.

Please preform a hard drive test using this guide here:

How to perform a Seagate's Seatools Test - Tech Support Forum

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/programs-fail-to-start-after-system-restore-1017290.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I have a virus on my win bit laptop It runs very slow can't open most programs run restore or can't virus system programs Win7 and I'm getting tons of pop ups I never had before Also spam apps have appeared on my facebook account Help please DDS Ver - - - NTFS AMD Run by Josh at on Mon Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Microsoft Windows Home Win7 virus can't run programs or system restore Premium GMT - AV Norton Internet Security Disabled Updated C A - C B- F C- B B- FCCFDC SP Windows Defender Disabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF SP Norton Internet Security Disabled Updated A BBD -AA - A - B- B EB Win7 virus can't run programs or system restore B E FW Norton Internet Security Disabled B F DB -C - E - D - C F F E Running Processes C Windows system wininit exe C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS C Windows system atiesrxx exe C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Windows system atieclxx exe C Windows System spoolsv exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Program Files x Norton Internet Security Engine ccSvcHst exe C Program Files x Win7 virus can't run programs or system restore Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files x Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files Gateway Gateway Power Management ePowerSvc exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation C Program Files x Gateway Registration GregHSRW exe C Windows system svchost exe -k HsfXAudioService C Program Files x NewTech Infosystems Gateway MyBackup IScheduleSvc exe C Program Files Gateway Gateway Updater UpdaterService exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows system taskhost exe C Program Files x Norton Internet Security Engine ccSvcHst exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Program Files CONEXANT cAudioFilterAgent cAudioFilterAgent exe C Windows PLFSetI exe C Program Files Gateway Gateway Power Management ePowerTray exe C Program Files x Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C Program Files x Skype Phone Skype exe C Program Files x McAfee Security Scan SSScheduler exe C Program Files x NewTech Infosystems Gateway MyBackup BackupManagerTray exe C Program Files x Video Web Camera traybar exe C Program Files x Launch Manager LManager exe C Program Files x Cyberlink Power Go CLMLSvc exe C Program Files x Cyberlink PowerDVD PDVD Serv exe C Program Files x Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files x iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files x ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static MOM exe C Windows system wbem unsecapp exe C Windows system SearchIndexer exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Program Files Gateway Gateway Power Management ePowerEvent exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe C Program Files x ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static CCC exe C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServicePeerNet C Program Files x AIM aim exe C Users Josh AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Josh AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Josh AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Users Josh AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Windows SysWOW rundll exe C Users Josh AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Josh AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Josh AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Windows SysWOW DllHost exe C Program Files x NortonInstaller C C - F D- F -AAA - EF E NIS A E D InstStub exe C Windows system SearchProtocolHost exe C Windows system SearchFilterHost exe C Users Josh Downloads dds scr C Windows system conhost... Read more

A:Win7 virus can't run programs or system restore

Hello gman7104,

Try running System Restore through the System Recovery Options at Boot. See this link for specific instructions. (Scroll down to Method 2) System Restore - Windows 7 Forums

Let me know how that worked out for you.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/win7-virus-cant-run-programs-or-system-restore-563608.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi there Last night I foolishly forgot to disable automatic updates and when I woke up to use my computer in the morning alas a magnitude of drivers suddenly stopped working I quickly turned to a system restore but that's when things somehow got worse Now when I boot up my machine it can launch any base application included in Windows such as Task Manager Calculator Explorer etc However if I try to open any application such as Firefox or Skype the process will appear briefly in the 'processes' tab in Task Manager and then quickly disappear Thankfully all my drivers appear to work as they used to but I open Unable restore programs to system after simply can't run any applications other than pre-packaged Windows programs I'm quite positive I Unable to open programs after system restore don't have a virus I fear that it may be a registry corruption in which case I do not have the available discs to perform a system repair I only Unable to open programs after system restore have my OEM disc I'm running Windows Ultimate -bit

A:Unable to open programs after system restore

Have you tired to boot into Safe Mode, then undo the last restore?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/327279-unable-open-programs-after-system-restore.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi,I got the "System Restore" virus on my computer and cleaned it up based on your recommendations... I've cleaned my registry and I ran the "unhide" program which brought back all of my desktop icons, but I still show my program apps as "empty".Any help would be appreciated.Thx,D.Edit: Moved topic from Windows 95/98/ME to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

A:System restore virus - empty programs

Hello and welcome to the forum!

What version of Windows are you running?
This is the 98 forum and I doubt that you can be infected with System Restore with 98

We will get you moved into the right place so dont worry!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/427495/system-restore-virus-empty-programs/
Relevancy 56.76%

I'm writing this from a different computer because I can't even get onto the internet on mine Pretty much all programs fail to run When I double-click on the icon I get the usual spinning quot loading quot circle and then nothing happens When I try to open straight from a saved file I get an error message For example whenever I try to open a word doc I get this error message quot There was a problem sending the command to the program quot Symantec Endpoint Protection has been turned off and every time I go to the Action Center to turn it back on nothing happens I get the usual message run and won't any keeps programs restore Computer system failing that asks if I want to allow the change and when I click quot allow quot nothing changes I've done several system restores even in Safe Computer won't run any programs and system restore keeps failing Mode and they have all failed System repairs have all failed too Obviously virus scans are out of the question and Windows Defender one of the programs that actually will run keeps telling me that there is no Computer won't run any programs and system restore keeps failing malicious software to be found on my system This all started yesterday afternoon I was running Firefox as usual and had a word document open that I was typing in I walked away from my laptop and when I came back there were three pop-ups on the screen from a virus that I had just managed to get rid of several days before I closed them out and was preparing to run Malwarebytes when my computer shut itself down suddenly There haven't been any pop-ups or anything that would indicate that this is a virus However I tried the same fix that I used to remove the virus the first time copying the Malwarebyes file 'mbam exe' to the desktop and naming it as 'mbam COM' so that it will open but even that does not work I've tried the regedit fix that I've found in forums here but that didn't work either I really am completely at a loss as to what is going on I've got a ton of work that needs doing and my computer is pretty much shot I don't have the disk necessary to reimage my computer from scratch so that's out Any ideas

A:Computer won't run any programs and system restore keeps failing

what do you mean by "system repairs" fail? and system restore fails? Give error message please of failure

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/204300-computer-wont-run-any-programs-system-restore-keeps-failing.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I don't know what my dad did but he's having problems with his laptop When you go to open pretty programs opening... aren't much any program you either get an error that says quot programname exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows You will need to restart the program quot or a message that says quot this application failed to initialize properly xc Click programs aren't opening... on ok to terminate the application quot No spyware programs can load properly so I can't try to clean anything Also internet explorer will not connect to any websites but netscape seems to be working fine Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINNT System smss exe C WINNT system winlogon exe C WINNT system services exe C WINNT system lsass exe C WINNT system svchost exe C WINNT system spoolsv exe C WINNT System Ati evxx exe C WINNT System svchost exe C WINNT system regsvc exe C WINNT system MSTask programs aren't opening... exe C WINNT System WBEM WinMgmt exe C Program Files VerizonDSL WinPoET programs aren't opening... WrOS EXE C WINNT Explorer EXE C WINNT System mspmspsv exe C WINNT system svchost exe C WINNT system PRPCUI exe C Program Files Compaq Easy Access Button Support StartEAK exe C Compaq EAKDRV EAUSBKBD EXE C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files VerizonDSL WinPoET WinPPPoverEthernet exe C Program Files Compaq Easy Access Button Support CPQEADM EXE C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files AIM aim exe C Program Files Sony Corporation Picture Package Picture Package Applications Residence exe C Program Files Sony Corporation Picture Package Picture Package Menu SonyTray exe C PROGRA Compaq EASYAC BttnServ exe C WINNT explorer exe C Program Files WinRAR WinRAR exe C DOCUME POKEYR LOCALS Temp Rar EX HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http home netscape com home winsearch html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http home netscape com home winsearch html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http home netscape com home winsearch html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http home netscape com home winsearch html R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL Default http keyword netscape com keyword s R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer N - Netscape user pref quot browser startup homepage quot quot www yahoo com quot C Program Files Netscape Users default prefs js O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper ocx O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO Viewpoint Toolbar BHO - A C -B - EDB- - D C EC - C Program Files Viewpoint Viewpoint Toolbar ViewBarBHO dll O - Toolbar Viewpoint Toolbar - F AD AA -D - - DAF- D B - C Program Files Viewpoint Viewpoint Toolbar ViewBar dll O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINNT System msdxm ocx O - HKLM Run Synchronization Manager mobsync exe logon O - HKLM Run PRPCMonitor PRPCUI exe O - HKLM Run CPQEASYACC C Program Files Compaq Easy Access Button Support StartEAK exe O - HKLM Run EACLEAN C Program Files Compaq Easy Access Button Support eaclean exe O - HKLM Run SynTPLpr C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe O - HKLM Run SynTPEnh C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe O - HKLM Run WinPoET C Program Files VerizonDSL WinPoET WinPPPoverEthernet exe O - HKLM Run ViewMgr C Program Files Viewpoint Viewpoint Manager ViewMgr exe O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run WinHound C Program Files WinHound WinHound exe O - HKCU Run AIM C Program Files AIM aim exe -cnetwait odl O - Global Startup Picture Package VCD Maker lnk C Program Files Sony Corporation Pictu... Read more

A:programs aren't opening...

Hello and Welcome. Please subscribe to this thread to get immediate notification of replies as soon as they are posted.

Please read this post completely before begining the fix. If there's anything that you do not understand, kindly ask your questions before proceeding. Please ensure that there aren't any any opened browsers when you are carrying out the procedures below. Save the following instructions in Notepad as this webpage would not be available when you're carrying out the fix.

* * * * * * ADDITIONAL DOWNLOADS * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Download & install - CleanUp.exe (not recommended for WinXP64)

Download & extract it to it's own folder - smitRem.exe

Download and install Ewido Security SuiteWhen installing, under "Additional Options",uncheck - Install background guard

Have Ewido update itself & then exit the program.
If you are having problems with the updater, you can use this link to manually update Ewido

'UNPLUG'/DISCONNECT your computer from the Internet when you have finished downlaoding.
It is IMPORTANT that you don't miss a step & perform everything in the correct order.

* * * * * * FIXING ENTRIES WITH HIJACKTHIS * * * * * * * * * *

You're running HijackThis from a zipped archive. That is not advisable. HijackThis is able to create backups whenever if fixes any entry. These are stored in a subfolder called backups. As such, we advise against placing the program in any temporary folders. Please create a new folder - C:\Program Files\HijackThis
Extract/unzip HijackThis.exe into that directory & run it from there.

Do a HijackThis scan & place a check next to these items and select "Fix checked":

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://home.netscape.com/home/winsearch.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://home.netscape.com/home/winsearch.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://home.netscape.com/home/winsearch200.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://home.netscape.com/home/winsearch.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://keyword.netscape.com/keyword/%s
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings,ProxyServer = :0
O2 - BHO: Viewpoint Toolbar BHO - {A7327C09-B521-4EDB-8509-7D2660C9EC98} - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Toolbar\ViewBarBHO.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Viewpoint Toolbar - {F8AD5AA5-D966-4667-9DAF-2561D68B2012} - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Toolbar\ViewBar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinHound] C:\Program Files\WinHound\WinHound.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Viewpoint Search - res://C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Toolbar\ViewBar.dll/CXTSEARCH.HTML
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINNT\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINNT\web\related.htm

* * * * * * RESTART WINDOWS IN SAFE MODE * * * * * * * * * *

1. Restart your computer
2. After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, press F8.
3. Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
4. Select the option to run Windows in Safe Mode.

* * * * * * UN-INSTALLING PROGRAMS * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs and uninstall the following programs: ViewPoint
Please note any other programs that you dont recognize in that list in your next response

* * * * * * DELETING FILES/FOLDERS * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

If you have not done so already, please enable the viewing of Hidden files
From Windows Explorer, go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab. Tick - 'S... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/programs-arent-opening-89419.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I don t know what my dad did but he s having problems with his laptop When you go to open pretty much any program you either get an error that says quot programname exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows You will need to restart the program quot or a message that says quot this application failed to initialize properly xc Click on ok to terminate the application quot No spyware programs can load properly so I can t try to clean anything Also internet explorer will not connect to any websites but netscape seems to be working fine Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINNT System smss exe C WINNT system winlogon exe C WINNT system services exe C WINNT system lsass exe C WINNT system svchost exe programs log aren't opening...hjt C WINNT system spoolsv exe C WINNT System Ati evxx exe C WINNT System svchost exe C WINNT system regsvc exe C WINNT system MSTask exe C WINNT System WBEM WinMgmt exe C Program Files VerizonDSL WinPoET WrOS EXE C WINNT Explorer EXE C WINNT System mspmspsv exe C WINNT system svchost exe C WINNT system PRPCUI exe C Program Files Compaq Easy Access Button Support StartEAK exe C Compaq EAKDRV EAUSBKBD EXE C Program Files Synaptics SynTP programs aren't opening...hjt log SynTPLpr exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files VerizonDSL WinPoET WinPPPoverEthernet exe C Program Files Compaq Easy Access Button Support CPQEADM EXE C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files AIM aim exe C Program Files Sony Corporation Picture Package Picture Package Applications Residence exe C Program Files Sony Corporation Picture Package Picture Package Menu programs aren't opening...hjt log SonyTray exe C PROGRA Compaq EASYAC BttnServ exe C WINNT explorer exe C Program Files WinRAR WinRAR programs aren't opening...hjt log exe C DOCUME POKEYR LOCALS Temp Rar EX Hi jackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http home netscape com home winsearch html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http home netscape com home winsearch html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http home netscape com home winsearch html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http home netscape com home winsearch html R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL Default http keyword netscape com keyword s R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Int ernet Settings ProxyServer N - Netscape user pref quot browser startup homepage quot quot www yahoo com quot C Program Files Netscape Users default prefs js O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper ocx O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO Viewpoint Toolbar BHO - A C -B - EDB- - D C EC - C Program Files Viewpoint Viewpoint Toolbar ViewBarBHO dll O - Toolbar Viewpoint Toolbar - F AD AA -D - - DAF- D B - C Program Files Viewpoint Viewpoint Toolbar ViewBar dll O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINNT System msdxm ocx O - HKLM Run Synchronization Manager mobsync exe logon O - HKLM Run PRPCMonitor PRPCUI exe O - HKLM Run CPQEASYACC C Program Files Compaq Easy Access Button Support StartEAK exe O - HKLM Run EACLEAN C Program Files Compaq Easy Access Button Support eaclean exe O - HKLM Run SynTPLpr C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe O - HKLM Run SynTPEnh C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe O - HKLM Run WinPoET C Program Files VerizonDSL WinPoET WinPPPoverEthernet exe O - HKLM Run ViewMgr C Program Files Viewpoint Viewpoint Manager ViewMgr exe O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run WinHound C Program Files WinHound WinHound exe O - HKCU Run AIM C Program Files AIM aim exe -cnetwait odl O - Global Startup Picture Package VCD Maker lnk C Progra... Read more

Relevancy 56.33%

the first thing i saw when i opened this forum page was a big highlighted warning about using combofix;well guess what? i ran combofix along with several other av programs (per instructions at another site). to make a long story short, after running these av programs it got my computer to the point where it wasn't totally locked up.now my problem is i can't connect to the internet and i have no system restore.i may not have had an internet connection to start with, i really don't know. the computer was almost totally locked up when i started and i've been using a borrowed laptop to down load to a usb drive then to the infected computer.i would really like to solve this connection problem as it would be alot simpiler to deal with one computer.hope this makes sense. tia

A:no internet connection or system restore after running av programs

Does either of these get you back on?open control, internet options, connections tab, lan settings, uncheck the box next to "use proxy...." ORGo to Start ... Run and type in cmdA dos Window will appear.Type in the dos window: netsh winsock resetClick on the enter key.Reboot your system to complete the process.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/361443/no-internet-connection-or-system-restore-after-running-av-programs/
Relevancy 56.33%

I believe it's possible for any defrag program to cause loss of restore points It has to do with the Volume Shadow Service cluster size Quote The System Shadow Copy provider uses a copy-on-write mechanism that operates at a -KB block level This is independent of the file system's cluster allocation unit size If the file system's cluster size is smaller than KB the System Shadow Copy provider cannot easily determine that disk defragmentation I O is different from typical write I O and performs a copy-on-write operation This might cause the Shadow Copy storage area to grow very quickly If the storage area reaches its user-defined limit the oldest shadow copies are deleted first Shadow copies may be lost when you defragment a volume Quote Trick Don't lose your system restore points Lost system restore points in Windows are a common complaint Points can delete Restore System programs Defragmenter with people using disk defragmenters on machines running Vista and later Windows versions What happens is the defrag operation moves files around causing the Volume Shadow Copy Service VSS Defragmenter programs can delete System Restore Points to create snapshots that overwrite older ones and cause restore points to get deleted If you have VSS enabled on your hard drive or if you are not sure if you do the first thing you should do after installing Auslogics Disk Defrag is go to Program Settings - Algorithms and set the program to defragment in VSS-compatible mode This prevents excessive growth of the VSS storage area and ensures that your system restore points will remain intact Not all defraggers have this option so be sure to never Defragmenter programs can delete System Restore Points use the ones that don't if you have VSS enabled How to Defrag Your Hard Drive Properly Quote Restore Points VSS This issue is addressed in Microsoft KB Defrag activity can purge snapshots off a system If the drive is formatted in K clusters or a multiple then steps are taken to minimize purging snapshots or shadow copies On VSS-enabled drives with a cluster size less than K you need to Defragmenter programs can delete System Restore Points minimize file movement in order to avoid purging snapshots By default PerfectDisk addresses this issue by running in VSS Compatibility Mode with a configurable threshold The Windows defrag tool has no compatibility mode and will purge the snapshots off a VSS-enabled system Reasons Why the Best Windows Defrag is Not the Built-in Windows Disk Defragmenter Raxco Software Blog Quote Minimizing interactions between defragmentation and shadow copies When possible move data in blocks aligned relative to each other in -kilobyte KB increments This reduces copy-on-write overhead when shadow copies are enabled because shadow copy space is increased and performance is reduced when the following conditions occur The move request block size is less than or equal to KB The move delta is not in increments of KB The move delta is the number of bytes between the start of the source block and the start of the target block In other words a block starting at offset X on-disk can be moved to a starting offset Y if the absolute value of X minus Y is an even multiple of KB So assuming -KB clusters a move from cluster to cluster will be optimized but a move from cluster to cluster will not Note that mod mod Mod is chosen because four clusters at KB each is equivalent to KB Therefore a volume formatted to a -KB cluster size will result in all move files being optimized Defragmenting Files Windows Puran Defrag and VSS Quote quot You can uncheck all additional operations in Puran Defrag to run it in VSS compatibility mode However it is recommended that you format your disk with cluster size gt K Please read Puran Defrag help VSS Compatibility section for more info quot Quote Simply excluding quot System Volume Information quot wont help Here is the text from Puran Defrag help file quot VSS Compatibility quot section - It is highly recommended tha... Read more

A:Defragmenter programs can delete System Restore Points

Thanks Bill. Brilliant explication. This will be good to get the discussion going further, attract google hits on the subject, also to link for those reporting or asking about it. I am hearing about this for some months now.

I guess what I'm still wondering is if there is any way to avoid it. That brings up the discussion if defrag is really even needed. I notice Win7 apparently doesn't any longer schedule a weekly default defrag, at least on my installs recently.

I had migrated to Puran for its boot-time defrag after it helped cut a 2 minute startup time in half. But the reports on Puran causing restore points loss are making me reconsider even advising defrag at all.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/332785-defragmenter-programs-can-delete-system-restore-points.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I'm having some problems with my computer I can't open most programs that would help me spybot adaware malwarebytes When I try to open these I get a notification that quot ana exe quot is trying to make changes and needs permission Of course I don't let it but the programs won't open I can't open Firefox or Internet Explorer I have tried to use system restore but it is shut off or something I've never seen that before I tried to use system restore from the malware me using opening system programs or from restore. preventing boot process but it wouldn't let me I also get a fake Windows Security Center popup that tells me to malware preventing me from opening programs or using system restore. download some security program Any help would be greatly appreciated DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by Jordan at on Fri Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Microsoft Windows Ultimate GMT - SP Windows Defender Enabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF SP Lavasoft Ad-Watch Live Enabled Updated CDFD D- CAC- -C FC- ACB B Running Processes C Windows system wininit exe C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system nvvsvc exe C Windows system svchost exe -k malware preventing me from opening programs or using system restore. RPCSS C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Program Files Common Files LogiShrd LVMVFM LVPrcSrv exe C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation Display NvXDSync exe C Windows system nvvsvc exe C Windows malware preventing me from opening programs or using system restore. system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWService exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows system taskhost exe C Windows system rundll exe C Windows System spoolsv exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation C Program Files Common Files LogiShrd LVCOMSER LVComSer exe C Windows system lxbkcoms exe C Program Files Common Files LogiShrd LVCOMSER LVComSer exe C Windows system PnkBstrA exe C Program Files Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack SeaPort SeaPort exe C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation D Vision nvSCPAPISvr exe C Windows system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSVC EXE C Windows system wbem unsecapp exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Windows system SearchIndexer exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSvcM exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServicePeerNet C Windows system DllHost exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWWSC exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWTray exe C Windows system wuauclt exe C Windows system WUDFHost exe C Users Jordan AppData Local Temp E C tmp MBR DAT C Windows system RunDll exe C Windows system DllHost exe C Windows system DllHost exe G dds scr C Windows system conhost exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe Pseudo HJT Report uSearch Bar hxxp www google com ie uSearch Page hxxp www google com uStart Page hxxp att my yahoo com uInternet Settings ProxyServer http uInternet Settings ProxyOverride lt local gt BHO D -C F - efb- B - ECA - No File BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper e f-c d - d -b d- b d be b - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelper dll BHO RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer c e -b - bc - - c ca - c programdata real realplayer browserrecordplugin ie rpbrowserrecordplugin dll BHO C C A-E - b - D - CECB - No File BHO Search Helper ebf - f- bff-a f-b e aac b - c program files microsoft search enhancement pack search helper SEPsearchhelperie dll BHO Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper d - c - abf- ecc- c - c program files common fil... Read more

A:malware preventing me from opening programs or using system restore.

Hello and welcome. Please follow these guidelines while we work on your PC:Malware removal is a sometimes lengthy and tedious process. Please stick with the thread until I?ve given you the ?All clear.? Absence of symptoms does not mean your machine is clean!
Please do not run any scans or install/uninstall any applications without being directed to do so.
Please note that the forum is very busy and if I don't hear from you within three days this thread will be closed.
Please subscribe to this thread to get immediate notification of replies as soon as they are posted. To do this click Thread Tools, then click Subscribe to this Thread. Make sure it is set to Instant Notification, then click Subscribe.

Download GMER Rootkit Scanner from here to your desktop. Double click the exe file. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please consent .
If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan...click on NO.

Click the image to enlarge it

In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following ... IAT/EAT
Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
Show All (don't miss this one)

Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and post it in reply.
**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<--- ROOKIT" entries

If you have trouble running GEMR:Make sure that your security software is disabled
Uncheck the box next to "Files" this time also
If you still can't run it, try in the Safe Mode
Please include the following in your next post:GMER log

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/malware-preventing-me-from-opening-programs-or-using-system-restore-564701.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Is it possible to back up programs that have product keys so they can be fully restored after you wipe windows?  If so, what is the best program or procedure in doing so?  My work computer has driver issues and I have done everything possible in deleting and restoring audio drivers but haven't had any success.

A:back up programs for system wipe and full restore

The best thing would be to restore to factory settings, then reinstall all your applications.  Save your data first of course.  There is a program called Zinstall that transfers apps from one computer to another, but I don't recommend it because (1) it costs $140 and (2) if you have malware on your current computer, it will be transferred to the other one.  

Good luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/537856/back-up-programs-for-system-wipe-and-full-restore/
Relevancy 56.33%

I've been experiencing new BSOD since my new installation of Windows 7 after replacing a counterfeit copy with a legit from Microsoft. (I previously posted in the forums) I thought a real copy and fresh install would solve the problems and It has not.

I'm having new BSOD and I have attached the requested ZIP file. I left the pc on all day with no issues and Now when I load World of Warcraft/Overwatch I've had issues since. Even loading Teamspeak and Chrome it used to BSOD also.

I would love help before the 29th so I don't have to upgrade to Windows 10 Unless it absolutely necessary.

Somehow I posted this thread twice. I apologize. I think refreshing my page was a bad idea. Marked it solved to prevent double postings.

A:BSOD after startup and loading my programs (Did a system restore)

I've been experiencing new BSOD since my new installation of Windows 7 after replacing a counterfeit copy with a legit from Microsoft. (I previously posted in the forums) I thought a real copy and fresh install would solve the problems and It has not.

I'm having new BSOD and I have attached the requested ZIP file. I left the pc on all day with no issues and Now when I load World of Warcraft/Overwatch I've had issues since. Even loading Teamspeak and Chrome it used to BSOD also.

I would love help before the 29th so I don't have to upgrade to Windows 10 Unless it absolutely necessary.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/398807-bsod-after-startup-loading-my-programs-did-system-restore.html
Relevancy 56.33%

To start with I m running XP and Firefox restore internet, to or system add/remove cannot connect programs is my primary browser I had Adaware installed to deal with malware however it never found anything and the infection first appeared while I was browsing a site I know is clean so I suspect it was lying dormant on my system for awhile I also have CCleaner Both Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware were downloaded in the process of trying to cleanse my system Adaware and Malwarebytes are both deleted now because I was told not to have more than one antimalware program at one time On to the problem It happened very suddenly I opened a page in a new tab and suddenly all the links went red A message popped up from the cannot connect to internet, add/remove programs or system restore system tray I can t remember the exact wording sadly but it went something like quot Your computer is infected Download antispyware now quot and I believe it claimed to be from Windows security though the icon was a red circle with a white x rather than the usual cannot connect to internet, add/remove programs or system restore shield shape There was also a red link at the top of every page I navigated to saying something similar quot Too many errors were detected on your computer Get antivirus now quot or something to that effect I ran first Malwarebytes and it found and cleared several problems The pop up from the tray stopped and the false link was gone however my computer was now crashing every few minutes I then ran SuperAntiSpyware and it also found and cleared a few problems however now my computer couldn t connect to the internet at all Not with firefox not with IE not with MSN not with my music scrobbler LastFM To further complicate the matter though I don t recall visiting their site or downloading their product Stop Sign quot antivirus quot was also installed on my computer during this process It was while trying to get rid of StopSign that I realized that add remove programs was now no-longer working It would open but it wouldn t generate a list of programs I don t think I dealt with it s removal in the best of ways Not having add remove at my disposal and forgetting that CCleaner actually has a similar tool I tried just deleting the folder wholesale but certain programs were always quot protected or in use by another program quot so I renamed them without file extensions and tried again which worked but I then found it actually had two program folders One under quot Stop Sign quot and one under eAcceleration so I did the same thing I m sure there are still fragments on my computer of this stupid program Desperate now I turned to system restore to find it was like add remove programs It would open but it wouldn t let me scroll through the calendar to choose a date nor were there any restore points listed for May And the final obstacle in my path my computer was sold to me by Future Shop without a Windows disc I ve run SuperAntiVirus the program I settled on several times since deleting the others while not connected to the internet at all and it can t find anything left on my computer but there is obviously something wrong I ve run CCleaner too hoping that some final piece of the puzzle was hiding in my computer s detritus and of course still nothing So I guess what I m saying is would any ordinary downloadable program like AVG or something be able to do what the other three could not Even if it could would I be able to download the setup file to a flashdrive and then install it to my computer Is it possible that the malware itself is gone but whatever this was infected some vital files which were removed from my computer Could I possibly find out what they are and replace them And if I can t do those things how will I come by a Windows disc At the very least can someone possibly identify what this might be have been so I can curse it s name

A:cannot connect to internet, add/remove programs or system restore

Sounds to me like a few things happened here:
1. You were infected with a rogue(fake) Anti-Malware program with a possible Trojan Downloader which keeps reinfecting your computer.
2. During the cleaning process you may have accidentally removed something which allows your ability to connect to the net, but I cannot be sure.

Do you still have your logs from the MBAM and SAS scans? If so please post the latest ones from each.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/226051/cannot-connect-to-internet-addremove-programs-or-system-restore/
Relevancy 56.33%

I had tons of misc programs I never used so opted to remove them Then did a cleanup and defrag IE was not working well so uninstalled that to reinstall later Did that Mozilla wouldn't show images so uninstalled and re-installed both work but very slowly Now I find that my programs do not all show up in the ALL PROGRAMS menu I can navigate to them all but wordpad which is nowhere to be found I thought system start programs well missing in restore as as menu I would do a simple system restore only to find that it is no longer there It must be ON because I do have the option system restore missing as well as programs in start menu of turning it off but it is not available to perform a restore I tried safe mode not there either I tried running a suggested 'exe' file but it wouldn't run rstrui-exe said it couldn't run it I can't find my XP PRO DISK I had planned to upgrade to WIN so it's hard telling where I put the disk Do you have any suggestions as to where I can start I've run ESET online scanner and it did not find any virus's I did get a suspicious email prior to all this but apparently didn't get a virus from it I'm not really sure where to go from here thank you in advance for your help I'm sure we all keep you busy -susie

A:system restore missing as well as programs in start menu

Reboot to Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Run C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/system-restore-missing-as-well-as-programs-in-start-menu-668635.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I just installed a ssd harddrive. Windows (7) backup discs ran fine. System image restore seems to have worked fine, only thing is programs are not showing up. This is my first time doing this and everthing I read, prior to, lead me to believe the programs would be included in the system image.

Searched but couldn't find a thread that matched this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

J

A:succesful system image restore but no programs installing

Hello J, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Did you have the programs installed to another drive other than the default C?

If so, did you include that drive in the system image as well? If not, then that's why the programs are not there.

If they were on C, then are they in the C:\Program Files and/or C:\Program Files (x86) folders? If so, then you should be able to create new shortcuts for them directly from their .exe files.

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/268879-succesful-system-image-restore-but-no-programs-installing.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I just got infected by the system restore virus and so i ran a malwarebytes scan. I deleted the infections and restarted my computer but the program files like pictures, control panel, etc. on my start menu aren't showing up! it just has computer and nothing following it but my files like word, paint, and solitaire etc. are still available. any help would be MUCH appreciated!!

A:programs not on start menu after system restore virus

Also, the icons that would usually be next to the start menu button are also removed. Please help!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/424715/programs-not-on-start-menu-after-system-restore-virus/
Relevancy 56.33%

hi, i think i have a virus on my computer, it happened a couple of days ago, i've messed around with it a little but with no joy, i had error msg's so tried to do a system restore but got this msg c:\windows\system32\rstrui.exe the extended tributes are inconsistent, i had errors with norton so tried to uninstall then reinstall it but i'm now unable to install this, i'm also unable to do much with the computer, can anyone please offer any advice? i'm ready for any question, thanks very much.

A:Virus? - unable to to do system restore or open many programs

The standard recommendation would be to download, update, and run Malwarebytes:

Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/189089-virus-unable-do-system-restore-open-many-programs.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi guys,

I have a problem since i downloaded a file which i don't think if was a trojan, virus nor not because my norton 360 was not able to detect it..
After two days i notice that i could not anymore open an executable file like COREL DRAW, LIMEWIRE, YAHOO MESSENGER, and other. I've tried to restore my computer but my system restore was turned off. I've tried to turn it on but it seems it was disabled.. Another one is my task manager. When i press ctrl del it says "YOUR TASK MANAGER HAS BEEN DISABLED BY YOUR ADMINISTRATOR". Well i know that i haven't been do it before.. I am wondering if i am infected with a virus.. Would anyone help me..

A:Can't do the system restore.. task manager was disabled.. cannot run programs.

Yeah, disabled Task Manager, Pooched System restore + the existance of Limewire = Infected Computer.

Securities sub-forum, read the stickies, post a log, wait for help, etc... the usual...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-do-the-system-restore-task-manager-was-disabled-cannot-run-programs-328572.html
Relevancy 56.33%
A:any programs to auto create system restore points?

Restore points are created automatically every day, and just before significant system events, such as the installation of a program or device driver. You can also create a restore point manually.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/any-programs-to-auto-create-system-restore-points-704204.html
Relevancy 55.9%

My laptop is currently running Windows 10 Anniversary Update and I have the Windows Disc from which I have installed this window but now I have installed bunch of Apps and installed Windows Updates. I want to backup all of my Apps, Settings and Updates. If I ever install Windows 10 again I just don't want to install all those updates and apps again (I might not even remember all of the apps I have now) so How can I create a backup now so in the future whenever I want I can just restore back to this point? Should I create a System Image or System Restore (Restore Point) or a Recovery Drive or Backup and Restore (Windows 7) ? I don't know which one is the right for me because I have never done any Backup, Restore or Recovery. Please Help.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/444607-system-image-system-restore-restore-point-recovery-drive-backup-restore-win7.html
Relevancy 55.9%

The other day I was trying to figure out what coral paintshop pro meant by security key, so I googled it. Something popped up and asked me if I wanted to download, and I wanted to say no, but my laptop's mouse is too sensitive at times, so I accidentally clicked yes. My computer automatically shut down right after that. Every time I turn it on now, it goes straight into System Repair and it doesn't work, it says it cannot repair. I've tried System Restore, but since that doesn't get rid of the documents that have been downloaded, it isn't helping either. My computer won't even let me enter any form of Safe Mode, it just goes straight back to System Repair. Please help me. My Aunt got me this laptop for my High School graduation and I cannot afford to have someone fix my computer right now.

A:System Repair/System Restore not working

Does the computer come with system repair disks? Or even better, does it come with a Windows disk?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-repair-system-restore-not-working.995763/
Relevancy 55.9%

Recently I've been having an incredibly frustrating problem. Whenever i close one of my programs, they don't terminate. You can't see them on the desktop or anything but they're still running according to Task Manager and other detection systems.

Untitled.png   43.89KB
  0 downloads

As you can see above, The program in question (Company of Heroes 2) was closed, but it still running. This also happens for an assortment other programs seemingly at random. (Also process hacker itself, ironically) If i attempt to end the process in Task Manager, it does nothing; attempting to do it on Process Hacker instead returns this:

Untitled1.png   39.64KB
  0 downloads

I'm on my beams end here. I've tried most things that i could think of (Drivers, MBM, Norton) and some help would really be appreciated!
Obligatory Speecy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/RjrQxBLWzP2cF1xRxPx33Qs

A:Programs aren't closing properly.

Looking at the Speccy snapshot, the only thing that I can suggest is that it may be something to do with the Superfetch service.  There's a short article on Techradar - http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/how-superfetch-makes-windows-faster-639643 - which gives a flavour of what it does - it also applies to Windows 8.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/517240/programs-arent-closing-properly/
Relevancy 55.9%

Sorry if there have been threads created like this in the past I wasn t able to find any with the search feature I thought that it might be a good idea to start a thread for good programs that a Share well good programs known aren't that lot of people might not know about I m constantly trying out new stuff and I always like to hear about good software So here s my recommendation to you all Slickrun get it here http www bayden com Share good programs that aren't well known SlickRun In my opinion this should come bundled with the Windows operating system I m amazed that more people haven t heard of Share good programs that aren't well known this program Very rarely do I even need to navigate through folders to access a file I can use slickrun to launch any program directory song the control panel etc from slickrun It floats wherever you want it to on your screen and can be hid in the tray It is very easy to configure and there is also a support forum where people share various tricks to use One example of what it can do I can type in quot google meatballs quot into slickrun Then slickrun will open up my default browser navigate to google search for meatballs and display the results all on it s own Okay I suppose I wrote a little too much about slickrun Please share the great programs that you ve ran across but know most people probably don t know about Please don t name off any commonly used programs though

A:Share good programs that aren't well known

Daemon Tools - Allows you to mound iso images saved on your hard drive as if they were actual cd's.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/15961/share-good-programs-that-arent-well-known/
Relevancy 55.9%

I am trying to reinstall Adobe Creative Suite CS within Win using the special routine devised by Adobe I had been sailing along continuing to use CS first released in when a message popped up two days ago saying that because activation was now closed I had to uninstall the suite and reinstall it with special files that had been provided by the company back in I could no longer ignore Adobe that aren't delete but to 'programs' running Need be said to are I have tried Need to delete 'programs' that are said to be running but aren't to install the whole suite using the supplied files but there are a few problems within Photoshop at least So I have uninstalled the suite several times and tried again without full success My latest try has stalled as it is said that a program is already running I am now trying to use a Win compatibility setting in the setup files to see if this helps The general Windows issue I am raising is how do I delete a leftover folder that seems to be preventing me from doing another reinstall There is a folder Need to delete 'programs' that are said to be running but aren't called Adobe within Programs that contains just one subfolder entitled Adobe within which are two further subfolders that refer to Illustrator and Version Cue Only the latter has anything in it I have tried but I cannot delete the whole folder How this folder is preventing the latest reinstall is a mystery to me but I assume that this is what Adobe is talking about There are no programs within CS that are running in the normal sense I very Need to delete 'programs' that are said to be running but aren't much hope that someone can help me with this Previous installation attempts have been apparently successful but within Photoshop many image files pdf and jpg don't open properly Often a box will pop up naming a filename but nothing is in the box I haven't tried out Illustrator and InDesign Someone in Adobe Community says that I shouldn't be trying to run CS under Win but this is misinformed It is perfectly able to run it under Win And it was doing so two days ago

A:Need to delete 'programs' that are said to be running but aren't

Try removing the programs from Safe Mode. They probable are running in Safe Mode.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/390841-need-delete-programs-said-running-but-arent.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Before I start anything my problem is going to be hard for me to describe aren't programs blink Various responding and and therefore has been hard to find a fix anywhere If anything needs clarification let me know I'll try my best The problem just happened in the last week Nothing has been downloaded or installed except a few steam games There's nothing new Various programs blink and aren't responding and only some programs are affected Some are affected more often and worse than others The Problem The biggest area of problem is my games on steam Steam starts up fine and the games start up fine Once I'm into the games it starts When Various programs blink and aren't responding I click the screen of the game it sort of blinks and for a split second I can see Not Responding next to the title and if I check the task manager sometimes it says it in there too until I close the game down When I click at the same time as the not responding and when it blinks the blink is actually replacing the area with whatever is behind the game for a split second the desktop or a web browser and sometimes it acts as if I click the desktop or browser and switches to that It makes the games unplayable because it happens too often during play Sometimes the games even freeze and say not responding and I can't do anything except close it I've also had the problem in windows solitaire and excel It's happened a few times in Google chrome but almost never Because I don't really understand the problem and have never experienced this before I'm honestly not even sure where to put this I've put it on the steam forums but had no luck there yet I've looked for a fix but I've found nothing alike what I have I have run various cleaners and manually cleaned up my comp I've uninstalled and re-installed steam and the problem persists

A:Various programs blink and aren't responding

Hello deadmoon27,

I really can't determine if this is an Operating System problem or malware, without more info.

Please follow the instructions in our pre-posting topic New Instructions - Read This Before Posting for Malware Removal Help and post the requested logs in your next reply.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/various-programs-blink-and-arent-responding-615487.html
Relevancy 55.9%

thank you very much in advance to whomever helps me out properly programs running aren't when i boot my pc i get a missing dll file from the dragon natually speaking software i uninstalled and a quot windows is running low on virtual memory quot right at startup and my programs aren t working properly firefox crashes after a few minutes operating and some of my programs won t load files properly or at all like my comic book displayer CDisplay and my online games won t boot at all among other problems because of that i m typing my difficulties in my hijack programs aren't running properly this log and i ll add the other logs as soon as possible Logfile of Trend programs aren't running properly Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C programs aren't running properly WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Avira AntiVir Desktop sched exe C Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SASCORE EXE C WINDOWS system agrsmsvc exe C Program Files Avira AntiVir Desktop avguard exe C Program Files NewTech Infosystems NTI Backup Now Client Agentsvc exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exe C Program Files Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamscheduler exe C Program Files Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamservice exe C Program Files NewTech Infosystems NTI Backup Now BackupSvc exe C Program Files NewTech Infosystems NTI Backup Now SchedulerSvc exe C Program Files CyberLink Shared Files RichVideo exe C Program Files Common Files AVG Secure Search vToolbarUpdater ToolbarUpdater exe C Program Files Avira AntiVir Desktop avshadow exe C Program Files Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamgui exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files NewTech Infosystems NTI Backup Now BkupTray exe C Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktop exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD PDVDServ exe C Acer Empowering Technology eRecovery eRAgent exe C Program Files Avira AntiVir Desktop avgnt exe C Program Files AVG Secure Search vprot exe C WINDOWS system RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS RTHDCPL EXE C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files DivX DivX Update DivXUpdate exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Documents and Settings All Users Application Data FLEXnet Connect ISUSPM exe C Program Files SlimDrivers SlimDrivers exe C Program Files BigFix bigfix exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox plugin-container exe C Documents and Settings Franklin My Documents Downloads HijackThis exe R - URLSearchHook BitLord Security Bar Toolbar - c d - - b-aaa - c dbf - C Program Files BitLord Security Bar prxtbBit dll R - URLSearchHook WhiteSmoke US Toolbar - cce dd-f dd- - e-eaec f ef - C Program Files WhiteSmoke US prxtbWhi dll O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO Increase performance and video formats for your HTML lt video gt - E D- - FD- C - A F - C Program Files DivX DivX Plus Web Player ie DivXHTML DivXHTML dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO BitLord Security Bar - c d - - b-aaa - c dbf - C Program Files BitLord Security Bar prxtbBit dll O - BHO AVG Security Toolbar - B C- C F- BF -B - A - C Program Files AVG Secure Search AVG Secure Search toolbar dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - C Program Files Google Google Toolbar GoogleToolbar dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - AF DE - D - -B FA-CE B AD D - C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier swg dll O - BHO WhiteSmoke US - cce dd-f dd- - e-eaec f ef - C Program Files WhiteSmoke US prxtbWhi dll O - BHO Java tm P... Read more

Relevancy 55.9%

A few weeks ago several issues with my computer started My issues first began with Microsoft Office Word Starter I couldn Issues restore, as administrator, installing with system running programs, etc. t run it -- I would get an error message about there being no associated file I fixed this with system restore and my computer was good for a while Perhaps a week later I noticed I was unable to install any programs I would get a notification saying something about shell dll and Issues with running as administrator, installing programs, system restore, etc. that there was no file associated with whatever it was that I would try to install VLC player Adobe Reader the list goes on but for some reason WinRAR worked I tried to remedy this by doing a Issues with running as administrator, installing programs, system restore, etc. system restore When my computer started up again a notification popped up saying that system restore failed or that it was unable to make changes Today I noticed I am unable to run anything as administrator FireFox has been acting up and my computer has been freezing quite frequently Anyone have any idea what s going on with my poor laptop

A:Issues with running as administrator, installing programs, system restore, etc.

My first impulse would be to run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic.

Forget the notifications...any onscreen error messages...system reboots out of the blue...inability to access Windows Update?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/445806/issues-with-running-as-administrator-installing-programs-system-restore-etc/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a HP mini - NR with not and to allowing Computer Restore run security me programs!! Virus System gig ram and mhz processor The OS is Xp home edition bit It started when I have always had the virus protection AVG and a few weeks ago a friend told me to try Norton cause it has always been good for his computers Well I download a trial version Computer Virus not allowing me to run System Restore and security programs!! and erased my AVG and what a mistake that was After my trial was over instead of it still protecting my computer it just made my computer very vulnerable and when I went to download a new virus protection which was AVAST I had to restart my computer for changes to be made and when I did that I was infected with a hellasious virus and I am stressed out and frustrated cause I have been trying to get help for days now and have not received any help I have spent over hrs on researching the problem and I am to afraid to do anything without the professional help of someone that knows what they are doing I cant run any malware scans virus scans system restores and some of my documents When my computer starts up I get a dll error and when I run my system restore it says quot system restore will not protect you computer and to restart and try again quot I have done that in safe mode and regular and nothing happens and I get the same error message I cant install microsoft security essentials and anyother security softwares When I pull up my task manager all of my processes have an exe behind them and some things are on there I have never really noticed There are schost exe and a few of them running I know some about computers and I have no clue about stuff like this I have ran tdskiller and rkill and combofix and will attach the logs for someone to review and help me I really hope that this forum I can finally get someone to help me solve this problem and get my computer running the way it should I also do not have a recovery disc for this computer cause it never came with one My computer only has usb ports and no disc drive PLEASE CONTACT ME ASAP so I can quite stressing about this situation every day and every hour Thank you for reading my post and I will be more then thankful for the help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-virus-not-allowing-me-to-run-system-restore-and-security-programs.1024595/
Relevancy 55.9%

I ran a are Computer now blank won't Stopped System Ran open Restore or programs and System Restore the other day and during the process the computer shut down When I brought the system back up many of my programs wouldn t open - not even IE The ones Ran System Restore Computer Stopped and now programs won't open or are blank that did open either didn t function properly or had blank white screens in their menu s - including system restore I ran a couple regsrvr dll s and I got some of my system restore areas to appear but the calendar is blank Also when I intially go to the calendar it gives me this error A Ran System Restore Computer Stopped and now programs won't open or are blank Runtime Error has occured Do you wish to Debug Line Error Unspecified error I tried running regsvr mshtml dll and it gives me this error DllRegisterServer in mshtml dll failed Return code was x I am at my wits end I ran a HiJackThis scan and got this Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Unable to get Internet Explorer version Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin WLKeeper exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ACS AOLAcsd exe C Program Files Common Files AOL TopSpeed aoltsmon exe C Program Files Cisco Systems VPN Client cvpnd exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files McAfee HackerWatch HWAPI exe C PROGRA McAfee MSC mcupdmgr exe C PROGRA McAfee MSC mcmscsvc exe c PROGRA COMMON mcafee mna mcnasvc exe C PROGRA McAfee VIRUSS mcods exe C PROGRA McAfee MSC mcpromgr exe c PROGRA COMMON mcafee redirsvc redirsvc exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ZcfgSvc exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE c PROGRA mcafee com agent mcagent exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXE C Program Files McAfee MPF MPFSrv exe C Program Files Dell NICCONFIGSVC NICCONFIGSVC exe C Program Files Apoint Apoint exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ifrmewrk exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe C WINDOWS System snmp exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS wanmpsvc exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ee AOLSoftware exe C Program Files Windows Media Player WMPNSCFG exe C WINDOWS system wwSecure exe C Program Files Apoint Apntex exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Canon CAL CALMAIN exe C Program Files Digital Line Detect DLG exe c PROGRA mcafee msc mcuimgr exe C Program Files Hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http www dell me com myway O - BHO no name - D -C F - efb- B - ECA - no file O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll file missing O - BHO DriveLetterAccess - CA D E- - CF- E - - C WINDOWS system dla tfswshx dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO scriptproxy - DB D A - - E -B D- F C - c PROGRA mcafee VIRUSS scriptcl dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c progra... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ran-system-restore-computer-stopped-and-now-programs-wont-open-or-are-blank.701125/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello everyone Something happened to my computer while I programs system desktop empty restore. icons, No Help folder, cannot was at work When No desktop icons, empty programs folder, cannot system restore. Help I came home I turned it on and windows loads up but I get a black desktop screen with all my icons wallpaper gone Some icons on the programs in the clock area are blacked out but some regular startup programs launch i e msn Also quick launch icons are all gone My programs folder is empty and when I tried to go to safemode for system restore nothing happens i tried all restore points No desktop icons, empty programs folder, cannot system restore. Help since a month back and none work - i also don t get any notificiation that there is an error my computer just doesnt restore Since my programs folder is empty even in safe mode how can I access my anti virus or malware removal tools Apparently my sister was on it while i was at work browsing facebook the net when avira detected a virus She deleted it in the options provided but it kept popping up resulting in a computer crash and then the computer became as I have described Can somone help me please nbsp

A:No desktop icons, empty programs folder, cannot system restore. Help

Hello there, Rigum

Welcome to TSG

I'm Conspire, I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.

Please observe these rules while we work:
Read the entire procedure
It is important to perform ALL actions in sequence.
If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
Stick with me till you're given the all clear.
Remember, absence of symptoms does not mean the infection is all gone.
Don't attempt to clean your computer with any tools other than the ones I ask you to use during the cleanup process.

IMPORTANT NOTE : Please do not delete anything unless instructed to. Remember to backup all your important data(if possible) before moving on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also note that I will not respond to this thread if I don't receive your reply for 5 days.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-desktop-icons-empty-programs-folder-cannot-system-restore-help.1009104/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi. I have an acer one net. winxp.

Today malwarebytes picked out 2 trojan.bho's. Removed and rescan showed clean. However, windows crashed after that, rebooted and froze upon error reporting. Error report showed:
C\DOCUME~1\Sharon\Locals~1|Temp\WERc049.dir00\services.exe.mdmp
C\DOCUME~1\Sharon\Locals~1\Temp\WERc049.dir00\appcompat.txt

Right before crash, said internet connection was unavailable, but my network availability showed strong and connected.

I can't access anything on computer, so I can't even go into malwarebytes' log and check for trojan ino that was found--

System now starts windows, loads programs, says windows encountered prob, then after a couple minutes, shuts down and reboots into a cycle.

I have no CD drive and am so frustrated.

Can someone please help?

Thanks.

A:Cannot access system programs or restore, constant boot cycle

Well, this is probably the system file damage done by the infection. More than likely the internet connection problem is caused by the malware messing up your Winsock file (or something similar, there may be other reasons).

Enter Safe Mode by tapping the "F8" key repeatedly, once per second, immediatlely after power on, then at Desktop right click "My Computer", left-click "Properties", then select "Advanced">Startup and Recovery>Settings and untick "Automatically Restart".

This should result in a BSOD with (hopefully) and error code and (even better) the mention of a system file that may aid in the solution.

While in Safe Mode, navigate Start>Run and type "msconfig".

At the Selective Startup Menu, turn off all non-Microsoft Services, and all Startup items. This should give you some limited functionality.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-access-system-programs-or-restore-constant-boot-cycle-401093.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Last night installed an update (automatic) with the shutdown button. I have a 1 month old Toshiba laptop and vista home basic OS. This morning...unable to find any of the installed programs including control panel and system icons. I searched for system restore by clicking on all the icons in the program folder...but, unable to identify it.

I have saved a Toshiba recovery disc...but, can't fins an automatic setup icon in that.

Ideally, would love to system restore...to avoid losing my docs and downloads I have done so far...any sugeestions is more than welcome. Thank you.

A:After an update...can't find any installed programs including system restore!

hello.

When you start up the computer press keep pressing the button to get the windows boot options up(normaly F8) when u see the toshiba logo straight after u turn on. then with vista u get a option to see the system diagnostics program and when that loads up there is a option for system restore.

if that isnt there try booting it in safe mode and see if all your icons are there then if they are run system restore that way (start-all programs-accessorys-system-system restore

i havent used vista in a while now(i got windows 7) but im sure that how i use to do it when i did have vista

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/after-an-update-cant-find-any-installed-programs-including-system-restore-397714.html
Relevancy 55.9%

sigh Yet again I turn to the gods here for divine intervention into my technological meltdown I didn't come here when the problem first reared its head days ago because I didn't want after restore programs even open won't fail rename, system AntiVirus to be a pain I'm now under water with my ignorant attempts at tech fixing and increased problems a hundredfold Thank you so much to everyone who has helped me in the past and I apologize for my once-a-year crises Dell XPS i purchased in running Windows I'm staying with friends for AntiVirus programs won't open even after rename, system restore fail several months while AntiVirus programs won't open even after rename, system restore fail working out of state Wireless internet connection is almost unusably slow - kbps even in the same room as the router LAN cables in every room work on other laptops I believe I connected via LAN when I was here before but could not do so now So I've spent hours over the last days completely mucking up my system by trying one fix after another Almost all the fixes required disabling antivirus software and most created system restore points Let's just say that at present the LAN connection is the least of my problems and I'll deal with it after I get the rest of the mess sorted System Restore fails x at every point No luck after uninstalling mbam and temporarily disabling AVG uninstalling AVG and running in safe mode different tries following every solution I could find on google I called Geek Squad and get to pay for them to look at it then probably wipe the drive Alternatively I buy a portable drive to transfer files and reinstall the OS myself While I'm too familiar with OS reinstall I cringe because there is an email program and several other things set up for me to work remotely that I have no idea how to redo The system restore error says a file may be corrupted so I figured what the heck I'll aggressively go after whatever viruses are running amok I've reinstalled mbam and AVG They will save but won't open even after I rename the exe files

A:AntiVirus programs won't open even after rename, system restore fail

Lets try running this.........Please download and install Windows Repair (All in one) at this site.To open the program click on the Start orb .Click on All Programs.Click on Windows Repair (All in one), this may be listed as Tweaking.com.If you are running Windows Vista, 7, or 8 right click on Windows Repair (All in one) and then click on Run as administrator.Notice: You will need to disable your antivirus in order to run this program, for this reason you should run this while off line.Go to Step 2 and click on the Do it button to allow CheckDisk to run.Go to Step 3 and click on the Do it button to run System File Check.Go to Step 4 and click on the Create button under System Restore.Go to Start Repairs and click on the Start button.Important: Do not make any changes to the check marks.For those running Windows 8 please note that Reset Registry Permissions is not checked by design.When the page below opens click on the Start button.Please copy and paste the Windows Repair Log in your next post. This log (_windows_repair_log.txt) is located in the following folder:* 64-bit systems file path - C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs* 32-bit systems file path - C:\Program Files\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\LogsCopy the file path for your version of Windows (32-bit or 64-bit), click on the Start orb and paste it in the Search all programs and files box.Click on Logs.Click on _Windows_Repair_Logs.Copy and paste this log in your next post.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/492893/antivirus-programs-wont-open-even-after-rename-system-restore-fail/
Relevancy 55.9%

As of yesterday my Inspiron with Windows on it refuses to run certain apps and all on disabling programs System Anti-virus/Firewall Help run Restore to my Internet browsers because of some update or something It was working fine earlier in the day but for some reason it stopped working as of last night with anything I had used earlier in the day I hadn t used it for a while before then due to Help disabling all Anti-virus/Firewall programs on to run System Restore some technical problems so it was kind of being a pain and Help disabling all Anti-virus/Firewall programs on to run System Restore I did have to do hard shutdowns at times but I doubt that caused this I ve tried running System Restore to hopefully go back before this started earlier in the day but it keeps saying an anti-virus program is preventing it I have several programs installed even if I shouldn t I know I ve tried disabling them via Services in the Task Manager but can t see get them all and don t wish to uninstall any I don t think I can get back later As well as the firewall since that sometimes interferes at least in my experience I believe Does anyone know how I can turn off whatever Firewall Virus programs are currently running to try to fix this issue with my browsers and apps by doing a successful System Restore Again in Windows Since I called Dell and they couldn t help the way I wanted to since it s been a while since I called last and got the Out of Warranty Help division And I keep getting error code x and it s saying an anti-virus program is probably blocking it from completing Hopefully this is where I can get some help on this given the uniqueness of this situation

A:Help disabling all Anti-virus/Firewall programs on to run System Restore

It sounds like you have SEVERAL anti-virus programs installed.
You didn't specifically mention any name... but IF one of them is avast, open the user interface by clicking on the Avast ball in your system tray, click on the "gear" (SETTINGS) menu toward the upper right, select TROUBLESHOOTING on the left, UNcheck the box marked "Enable Avast self-defense module", and click on OK.
See if that helps.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/virus-spyware/f/3522/t/19993758
Relevancy 55.9%

Really irritating Trojan -Google is redirecting -Spybot S amp D wont open -System Restore gets stuck on last page anti-spyware hijacked. Browser programs Restore and System Here's my log file Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved Browser System Restore and anti-spyware programs hijacked. at AM Browser System Restore and anti-spyware programs hijacked. on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system csrss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWService exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe c program files common files logitech lvmvfm LVPrcSrv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files ZoomText Zt exe C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX Smax exe C Program Files Common Files Logitech LComMgr Communications Helper exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWTray exe C Program Files Spyware Doctor pctsTray exe C Program Files Razer Diamondback razerhid exe C Program Files ULI ULi exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static MOM exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static ccc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Spyware Doctor pctsAuxs exe C Program Files Spyware Doctor pctsSvc exe C Program Files Alcohol Soft Alcohol StarWind StarWindServiceAE exe C WINDOWS system wbem unsecapp exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe C WINDOWS system wbem wmiprvse exe C Program Files Razer Diamondback razerofa exe C WINDOWS System alg exe C Program Files Spyware Doctor pctsGui exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware Ad-Aware exe C Program Files IObit Advanced SystemCare AWC exe C Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SUPERAntiSpyware exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Firefox firefox exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C Program Files Razer Diamondback razertra exe C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SpybotSD exe C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SpybotSD exe C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exe C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SpybotSD exe C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SpybotSD exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe C WINDOWS system wbem wmiprvse exe O - BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - HKLM Run SoundMAXPnP C Program Files Analog Devices Core smax pnp exe O - HKLM Run SoundMAX quot C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX Smax exe quot tray O - HKLM Run LogitechCommunicationsManager quot C Program Files Common Files Logitech LComMgr Communications Helper exe quot O - HKLM Run KernelFaultCheck systemroot system dumprep -k O - HKLM Run AppleSyncNotifier C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleSyncNotifier exe O - HKLM Run Adobe Reader Speed Launcher quot C Program Files Adobe Reader Reader Reader sl exe quot O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime QTTask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run iTunesHelper quot C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe quot O - HKLM Run Ad-Watch C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWTray exe O - HKLM Run Copperhead C Program Files Razer Copperhead razerhid exe O - HKLM Run ISTray quot C Program Files Spyware Doctor pctsTray exe quot O - HKLM Run Diamondback C Program Files Razer Diamondback razerhid exe O - HKLM Run ULiRaid C Program Files ULI ULi exe O - HKLM Run StartCCC quot C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static CLIStart exe quot MSRun O - HKCU Run NBJ quot C Program Files Ahead Nero BackItUp NBJ exe quot O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - HKCU Run SpybotSD TeaTimer C ... Read more

A:Browser System Restore and anti-spyware programs hijacked.

Hi,Sorry for delayed response. Forums have been really busy. If you still need help with this do following, please.Download DDS and save it to your desktop from here or here or here.Disable any script blocker, and then double click dds.scr to run the tool. When done, DDS will open two (2) logs: DDS.txt Attach.txtSave both reports to your desktop. Post them back to your topic.Download GMER and save it your desktop:Extract it to your desktop and double-click GMER.exeClick rootkit-tab and then scan.Don't check
Show All
box while scanning in progress!When scanning is ready, click Copy.This copies log to clipboardPost log in your reply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/233404/browser-system-restore-and-anti-spyware-programs-hijacked/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello all This is my first post on these forums and it's quite a grim one I use Windows XP At some point in the past few days I contracted some sort of spyware that was making my computer run slow I updated my antivirus software AVG and it told me that HELP!! fails- run, Programs Computer - won't MAJOR problems Restore System I had to reboot after fixing the errors which I chose to do later rather than right away However I noticed my computer was still running rather slowly so I finally rebooted except when I came back to windows a message appeared telling that MAJOR Computer problems - Programs won't run, System Restore fails- HELP!! my system was NTFS and it proceeded to run CHKDSK on itself after which it reset I usually had a ton of programs that started up with windows Steam Windows Live Messenger AIM but when my computer came back to windows after the CHKDSK thing none of them came on at all not even Norton Personal Firewall which was always there up until this In addition the instant I got on a pop-up notification came up stating that the system was trying to run a program called quot ddayv exe quot yet it failed because it tried to run as an MS-DOS Application Double-clicking on the messenger shortcuts on my desktop told me either that the specified filenames could not be found the shortcuts lead to an invalid path or that I simply do not have the permissions to access the file Looking for a way around this I discovered that Windows Live messenger managed to run when I clicked on its icon in the Start menu but when I tried to sign in it said that it couldn't I ran the troubleshooter and it said it was having trouble with its Key Ports citing something like incorrect proxy settings or a firewall blocking its access However as I said before Norton Personal Firewall just plain ceased to exist and I checked Windows Firewall and it said it was off Setting that problem aside for later I decided that my only hope was to try and reinstall all these programs I reinstalled AIM and it ran only to tell me the same thing that the AIM Service could not be found I uninstalled and reinstalled Windows Live messenger only for it to stop dead in its tracks midway through the installation because it still couldn't connect The only thing that ran just fine for me was Internet Explorer which seemed to do okay even though it was plagued by random gigantic quot TEXT THIS NUMBER TO REVEAL YOUR DESTINY quot pop-ups and it randomly caused explorer exe to shut down making my taskbar flicker on and off This was the final straw for me so I decided to reboot yet again and try to run System Restore in safe mode so I could hopefully regain my lost programs and my rapidly waning sanity Unfortunately even this turned out to be a lost cause as when I clicked the quot No quot option in the box that pops up quot If you would like to continue in Safe Mode click Yes if you would like to use System Restore click No quot my computer made a dangerous-sounding shutdown noise then it froze indefinitely I tried this a few more times and gave up trying to return to Windows normally to see if I could solve the problem I found a way to run System Restore in normal Windows so I jumped at this opportunity I decided to test Restore to see if I could get my computer back to the way it was a few days prior Friday January th but to no avail as it still came back to this same corrupted system where nothing runs but a spyware-infested IE So after that I decided to restore it to the earliest possible restore point in my records which was December th I had high hopes that it would work but it still didn't and I'm still stuck in this devastated machine where nothing runs the way it should I posted this thread on Windows BBS and I listened to their help I installed Hijack This and ran Deckard's System Scanner but by the time DSS got to quot Gathering System Information quot my computer made the same dreadful shutdown noise it did when I tried to run System Restore in Safe Mode a... Read more

A:MAJOR Computer problems - Programs won't run, System Restore fails- HELP!!

My HijackThis log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 1:05:46 AM, on 1/9/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Personal Firewall\NISUM.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Personal Firewall\ccPxySvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\??crosoft.NET\w?auboot.exe
C:\Program Files\Gigabyte\Gigabyte Windows Utility Manager\gwum.exe
C:\Program Files\WiFiConnector\NintendoWFCReg.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLLoginProxy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.thefriendsociety.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/.../www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/...ch/search.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/.../www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 61.121.224.11:80
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - URLSearchHook: HyperSearchHook - {4BCFEE53-B7CB-4D8F-AC15-D99167D95A23} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Hyperbar\HyperbarSS3.dll (file missing)
F3 - REG:win.ini: load=C:\WINDOWS\system32\ddayv.exe
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {ACB1E670-3217-45C4-A021-6B829A8A27CB} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: DAP Bar - {62999427-33FC-4baf-9C9C-BCE6BD127F08} - C:\Program Files\DAP\DAPIEBar.dll (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: &VSAdd-in - {74DD705D-6834-439C-A735-A6DBE2677452} - C:\Program Files\VSAdd-in\VSAdd-in.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV CfgWiz] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CfgWiz.exe /GUID NAV /CMDLINE "REBOOT"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Advanced Tools Check] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\AdvTools\ADVCHK.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [flag open bin grid] C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\knob safe flag open\Waitglobal.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Rhujbor] C:\WINDOWS\system32\??crosoft.NET\w?auboot.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\PROGRA~1\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t
O4 - HKLM\..\Policies\Explorer\Run: [pmsngr.exe] C:\Program Files\strCodec\pmsngr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Policies\Explorer\Run: [homepage.monitor.exe] C:\Program Files\strCodec\isamonitor.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AV... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/major-computer-problems-programs-wont-run-system-restore-fails-help-210044.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I know how to open up system restore USUALLY, i have done it a zillion times.

However i did something wrong,when i boot into windows i get a blank blue screen(not the blue screen of death). I have nothing but blue blank screen.

I was able to start task manager using ctrl/alt/delete and open up Firefox to get here.

Thanks ahead of time

A:How do i open up system restore (Start>programs>accessories missing now)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-open-up-system-restore-start-programs-accessories-missing-now.780683/
Relevancy 55.04%

As the title suggests my programs are refusing to open on start up This started happening about two weeks ago but all it took was a quick restart to fix but now I have to restart - times before the programs slowly load Here's my hijackthis log Code Logfile of Trend Micro start on Programs up! [SOLVED] opening aren't HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Program Files [SOLVED] Programs aren't opening on start up! x iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files x Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files x Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files x Internet Download Manager IEMonitor exe C Program Files x Internet Download Manager IDMan exe C Program Files x Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www gateway com g startpage h s PTB amp M M- R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www gateway com g startpage h s PTB amp M M- R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant http www gateway com g sidepanel h s PTB amp M M- R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName F - REG system ini UserInit userinit exe O - Hosts localhost O - BHO IDM Helper - C - - B-A BF- B C A A - C Program Files x Internet Download Manager IDMIECC dll O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO NCO IE BHO - ADB E- AFF- - AA - DAC DFA - no file O - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files x Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - Toolbar no name - FEBEFE - B - - D -FFB D B CA - no file O - HKLM Run AppleSyncNotifier C Program Files x Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleSyncNotifier exe O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files x QuickTime QTTask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files x Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM RunOnce Launcher WINDIR SMINST launcher exe O - HKCU Run ehTray exe C Windows ehome ehTray exe O - HKCU Run IDMan C Program Files x Internet Download Manager IDMan exe onboot O - HKUS S- - - Run Sidebar ProgramFiles Windows Sidebar Sidebar exe detectMem User 'LOCAL SERVICE' O - HKUS S- - - Run WindowsWelcomeCenter rundll exe oobefldr dll ShowWelcomeCenter User 'LOCAL SERVICE' O - HKUS S- - - Run Sidebar ProgramFiles Windows Sidebar Sidebar exe detectMem User 'NETWORK SERVICE' O - Extra context menu item Download FLV video content with IDM - C Program Files x Internet Download Manager IEGetVL htm O - Extra context menu item Download with IDM - C Program Files x Internet Download Manager IEExt htm O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C PROGRA MICROS Office EXCEL EXE O - Extra button Send to OneNote - A- - f c- - EE C C - C PROGRA MICROS Office ONBttnIE dll O - Extra 'Tools' menuitem S amp end to OneNote - A- - f c- - EE C C - C PROGRA MICROS Office ONBttnIE dll O - Extra button Research - B - CC- C -B BE- C C A - C PROGRA MICROS Office REFIEBAR DLL O - Gopher Prefix O - AppInit DLLs C Windows SysWOW guard dll O - Service Agere Modem Call Progress Audio AgereModemAudio - Unknown owner - C Windows system agr svc exe file missing O - Service SystemRoot system Alg exe - ALG - Unknown owner - C Windows System alg exe file missing O - Service Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc - C Program Files x Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe O - Service Ati External Event Uti... Read more

A:[SOLVED] Programs aren't opening on start up!

Which programs are not opening?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-programs-arent-opening-on-start-up-364684.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi this is going to sound v v simple question but something i have often wondered. If I look around windows 7 it is possible to see all the code and reigstries along with all their .dll's etc etc.

This is all open right?

So what is the difference between that and "open-source"

I mean without sounding like I have malice, what is to stop someone copying the code and changing it and giving it another name?

In other words, i guess my question is, what makes windows "closed and propritary" whilst linux is open - since ALL programs and OS are written on your hard drive for me to read?

Thanks!!

A:Aren't all programs open source? Windows allows changes right?

Quote: Originally Posted by lister

Hi this is going to sound v v simple question but something i have often wondered. If I look around windows 7 it is possible to see all the code and reigstries along with all their .dll's etc etc.

This is all open right?

So what is the difference between that and "open-source"

I mean without sounding like I have malice, what is to stop someone copying the code and changing it and giving it another name?

In other words, i guess my question is, what makes windows "closed and propritary" whilst linux is open - since ALL programs and OS are written on your hard drive for me to read?

Thanks!!

"The term open source describes practices in production and development that promote access to the end product's source materials" wiki quote.

That means anyone can make changes to the system to facilitate another function.

Microsoft does not allow that and they dont release the "code" for their operating systems to the general public making it more difficult to develop apps for it.

Users can change the configuration and some minor things but have no knowledge of the underlying code.

In other words if you had the proper tools and experience you could look at "Linux" code but cannot without major difficulties do that with MS.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/192247-arent-all-programs-open-source-windows-allows-changes-right.html
Relevancy 55.04%

The computer I'm currently using has some vicious stuff going on It's removed my System Restore option and will not let me open any PC cleaners What can I do to restore my computer I've tried to repair my System has Anti-virus/wares System will Restore disappeared, programs None open:( of Restore by altering the group policies but it doesn't even exist there Before I did that I executed RKill then tried to run Malwarebytes and MB wouldn't even load until I System Restore has disappeared, None of Anti-virus/wares programs will open:( uninstalled it and installed an older version A year old I then ran RKill and successfully ran the older version of Malwarebytes Also after running RKill before each attempt of each program I then tried to run CCleaner to no avail of even opening the program Then RKILL and an attempt at Adwcleaner these all installed appropriately and Adwcleaner actually opened but the second I hit run the program would entirely close and nothing would happen afterwards The only thing that I've installed that seems to be working is SUPERAntiSpyware v the only problem with this program is I've ran it System Restore has disappeared, None of Anti-virus/wares programs will open:( three times and each time it picks up removes something new Every time And to round it all off I can't use System Restore which was my last resort And I can't run any malicious item removers I've been at this for hours for a noob I feel like I'm making progress but seeing as nothing is working still I'm at a total loss Side note I couldn't get Malwarebytes to run with any Chameleons either The only things that worked were SUPERAntiSpyware and a year old version of MBytes And the only thing that picked up removed anything malicious was SUPER

A:System Restore has disappeared, None of Anti-virus/wares programs will open:(

Welcome aboard

Can you post Superantispyware log?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/550520/system-restore-has-disappeared-none-of-anti-viruswares-programs-will-open/
Relevancy 55.04%

About weeks ago I started noticing the M update shield with the ' ' in System working not restore it appearing on the Shut down button If I run Windows Update it says I'm up to date The shield nonetheless stays there all the time I've run a full Avast scan and a Malwarebytes scan Neither comes up with any malware Figuring that something I downloaded might be causing the problem I thought I'd try system restore First tried a restore point WAY back -- October System went thru the usual churning but when it tried to reboot came up with a window saying the system could not be started and attempted for - minutes to repair the System restore not working system That failed so I hit the power button waited sec hit power button again System booted perfectly BUT not a single program had been deleted or changed I was back to the system before running system restore Tried system restore from other points the last one only weeks old In both cases same result Restore fails Win attempts repair that fails hit power button turn computer back on and system is exactly the way it was before doing the restores Anybody have any idea what's wrong

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/system-restore-not-working-1069290.html
Relevancy 55.04%

It used to work but now on startup and when I try to use system restore it says "System restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run system restore again."

I suspect it may be some sort of virus/malware that somehow disabled the settings possibly in registry or elsewhere. I dunno. I have tried like every troubleshoot online. Somebody please help me I want to throw my computer in the wall.

This is one out of several other problems but if I listed the other problems here, I might get flagged for misuse of thread posting.

Thanks guys in advance for your help!!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/system-restore-not-working-367347.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU P6200 @ 2.13GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 7862 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -292 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 610480 MB, Free - 147187 MB; E: Total - 1907695 MB, Free - 39636 MB;
Motherboard: Acer, Aspire 5733Z
Antivirus: ESET Smart Security 7.0, Updated and Enabled

System Restore won't work on this machine - it keeps switching itself off.

If I go to the System Restore settings, I can switch it on and create a restore point. The restore point is then shown if I immediately check the list of available restore points.

After a short period of time, e.g. 20 minutes, checking the System Restore settings shows that it's switched off and my restore point has disappeared.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

Relevancy 55.04%

Any simple checks I can make to find out why system restore is not working, yes it ia turned on.

TIA.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-xp-sp3-system-restore-not-working.791704/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have Windows XP. I tried running system restore and after the computer restarted, I got a message saying the restoration could not be completed. There was no explanation why.

In case it matters, I have about 2 GB harddrive space left.
Also, system restore has worked in the past.
Thanks

A:System Restore Not Working

If any of the system restore files get corrupted, thats about what happens.

You are best to purge all restore files and let it create new ones, as the existing ones are unuseable anyway.

Purging just requires turning off system restore, rebooting and turning it back on.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-restore-not-working.390484/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have the Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium operating system. I want to do a system restore but I keep getting the error message that Windows was unable to restore my system because it could not access a file (Error 0 x 80070005). The error message suggested turning off any antivirus programs. I tried turning off Bitdefender, as well as my firewall, but that didn't help. I also tried doing the system restore in Safe mode, but that didn't work either (I got a different Error Code in safe mode: 0 x c0000022. I ran system scan from the command prompt to see if I am missing any system files or any system files are corrupted. Everything looks OK. Checkdisk did not find any problems either. I checked to make sure System Restore is turned on, and it is. Any ideas about what is preventing System Restore from doing a successful restore?

Shrimpman

Relevancy 55.04%

Hi all I clicked on system restore and got the message quot system restore is unable to protect your computer Please restart and try again quot I rebooted several times and got the same message I then accessed system restore with view of switching it off and on again i checked the on off box then clicked on apply changes and got the following message quot System restore encountered a problem trying to enable disable one or more drives Please restart your machine and try again later quot I then thought that if i slide the disc space bar down to zero it may clear out system restore but i got the same message as when i tried turning it off i went into System working restore not safe mode and searched for the wininit ini file with the view of renaming it but this isn t the problem About My computer security Spyware Doctor SpywareBlaster AVG System restore not working AVG antiRootkit Ad-Aware SE personal Spybot Spywareguard Ashampoo Anti Spyware CWshredder Winpatrol I keep all these up to date and run them all not at the same time twice weekly in addition i use Trend Micro s online scanner once a week All are reporting no problems My Computer recent history I had trouble with secretmaker blocking a download from a trusted source i tried the quot quick bypass quot keys but it still blocked the download i then closed the secretmaker programme down restarted my browser but still somehow it blocked the download I then uninstalled secretmaker as to be honest i never really liked it and continued with my download All downloads are checked scanned before opening Please note that my computer came with a licensed version of windows XP so i have no installation discs I have to send my computer back to the manufactures when there is a problem which really is the last port of call The last time i sent it away it was gone for weeks Any ideas Regards Kieser nbsp

Relevancy 55.04%

Ok here is what I do.
I go to the system restore thing and pick a date (I have chosen about 3 different dates and all have the same problem). My computer does it thing and restarts and then when you go back in it says that The Restore could not be done so no changes have been made. I have also tryed to undo my last Restore and the same thing happens. It goes through then says it couldnt do it.
Please help.

A:System Restore not working

Check "System" in the Event Viewer for any error logs pertaining to System Restore. To do this click Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer, click System in left panel, right panel will have error logs.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/system-restore-not-working-90789.html
Relevancy 55.04%

i installed "roxio creator" thinking that's what i needed to run my dvd!...dhuh....i know...i since figured it out! and installed the correct software....so then i uninstalled "this Roxio...and even searched for any remnants....nothing...but now when i reboot...it get this "sonic update manager" box that pops up and i have to cancel it 7 or 8 times before it gives up!!!! i tried "system restore" but i get a message after i reboots, that it couldnt restore to that date!!!...and i tried all the available days in "may" it also won't let me back up to "april" can someone advise please...i'm at a total loss

A:system restore is not working!

Post a HijackThis log and see what shows up...pluse your Uninstall list
Download HijackThis to your desktop

Double click on HijackThis on your Desktop
Then click on Unzip
It will install to Program files by default
Then Click Start>>>Run type C:\Program Files click OK
Look for a folder called HijackThis
Double click on it
On the right you will see a Icon of Dynamite with plunger
Double click on the Icon
Click on Icon and choose "scan system and save a logfile" usually in notepad
Copy and Paste the logfile in your next post
Using Ctrl+A to copy All and Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste.

It may help if you post your Uninstall list.
Open and Run HijackThis
Click on Open Misc Tools Section button
Then Click on Open Uninstall Manager
On the right hand choose Save List
Copy & Paste it in your next reply.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-restore-is-not-working.574747/