Windows Support Forum

Windows 10 and Cortana aren't working Critical Error messa.

Q: Windows 10 and Cortana aren't working Critical Error messa.

Computer froze then this message keeps telling me to log out. It will try to fix it for next sign on but it is an endless loop. Please help me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-10-and-cortana-arent-working-critical-error-messa.1159891/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Windows 10 and Cortana aren't working Critical Error messa.

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 92.07%

Hello people Hope you can help me to solve this problem Since I upgraded my computer to Win I'm trying to deal with this problem When my computer starts it shows the message quot Critical error start menu and Cortana aren't working We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in quot I joined to a forum to look for some help and I found an instruction which said to run the command quot chkdsk f r start and cortana working menu Critical error aren't quot So I did it my computer restarted and it was solved But when I turned the machine on in the next day the message was there again I ran the command another time the computer rebooted and it was solved Critical error start menu and cortana aren't working But every time I turn on my computer the message pops up for me and I have to run the command in cmd to my machine work Can someone help me to find a solution without the necessity to Critical error start menu and cortana aren't working reinstall Windows

A:Critical error start menu and cortana aren't working

There are previous posts on this and also the tutorial on running DISM. The info on running chkdsk is not the solution. See below.

This is an issue caused by Internet Security Software that we are finding out. If you have any third party Internet Security Software installed, uninstall it and the error should go bye-bye.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/38341-critical-error-start-menu-cortana-arent-working.html
Relevancy 90.21%

Just upgraded to Windows10 4 days ago and got this on screen last night and until now. What will I do? PLEASE SEE PHOTO.

A:Critical Error: Start menu and Cortana aren't working.....Sign out now"

Just some of additional details I can remember after Windows 10 Upgrade.
It looks so good at first, the environment...so cool... Until after 1 day,
1) I cannot play my music using "Windows Media Player"
2) I cannot "PRINT". Printer in my devices was gone. I re-installed it (Brother DCP-J100). And then it appeared in the devices as two copies: One with "Copy(1)" at the end. I tried to print, I cannot print. All were in "queued" all the time.
3) I transferred photos from my mobile phone to laptop via Bluetooth, all were "NOT SENT". I found out: I need to right click on the Bluetooth icon and then press "Receive a file". Ops, before this it is automatic.....
4) My greatest DISASTER: Above-mentioned: CRITICAL ERROR: Start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in. Sign out now. Seemed like I don't have another choice but to sign out. But I have signed in and out already more than 10 times, when will it be fixed??? I cannot use my laptop well. Just to reach you out here in forum am using my mobile phone to take photo of the screen and patiently typing....I tried to click my "Mozilla browser in the Desktop" it doesn't function. I's forced to use "IE" instead and I don't like it and my time is limited coz anytime now while typing it can crushed....

PLEASE HELP ME ON THIS...if this cannot be solved, please give me instruction on how can I rather go back to Windows 8.1...THANK YOU GUYZ in advance....

P.S. I can only touch folders in the desktop...to open the internet I have to find a file with .html and right click on it and "open through internet explorer" that's why i was able to type long statements here now,,,other than that - nothing

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/critical-error-start-menu-and-cortana-arent-working-sign-out-now-1031873.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Recently I've been getting the critical error with my start menu and cortana.
Of course after a few restarts and prays eveything works normal.

But after seeing a posts in d general discussion area I saw many individuals say avast is responsible for the error.

Can anyone give strong evidence that this is true?

http://www.tenforums.com/antivirus-firewalls-system-security/31624-avast-responsible-critical-error-start-menu-cortana.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I have spent all day trying to get my computer to boot up It is a Dell Latitude with factory installed Windows Pro bit I was able to fix this problem once a few days ago I was working on my forum and No not does repair nor 7 error up does Start windows disk. work messa decided to reboot after a windows update It came up giving me the choice of doing a start up repair or normal start Start up repair does not work nor does windows 7 disk. No error messa The normal start would Start up repair does not work nor does windows 7 disk. No error messa not work so I tried a start up repair This took care of the problem This morning the same thing happened Start up repair runs for a very long time but when I click finished it still comes back to a choice of start up repair or normal start The computer will not come up in safe mode I tried using F to try Start up repair does not work nor does windows 7 disk. No error messa and use the original windows disk no luck The disk spins for a little while then nothing happens The computer then tried to boot again off of the hard drive again Any advice on what to do next

A:Start up repair does not work nor does windows 7 disk. No error messa

your disk drive may be bad, or your windows 7 CD. try this first

Maximum PC | How To: Install Windows 7 from a USB Key!

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/231209-start-up-repair-does-not-work-nor-does-windows-7-disk-no-error-messa.html
Relevancy 70.09%

When will HP or Microsoft create a fix for this error? There are 236,000 posts about this on Microsoft Community. Yet no fix. "Windows 10 Critical Error Startup not working" I worked with the HP IT, the only workaround is creating a new account profile with administrative rights. Setting up that account then  copying your files to that account. It takes too much time for a temporary  fix. This has happened to me 3 times since I bought my computer 2 months ago and no one has a permanent fix! I can not keep creating new profile accounts, it take too long to copy files and set the account up. There are computers where this does not happen, I'm doing research and return my HP back to Best Buy, it is unusable.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Commercial-PC-Software/Windows-10-Critical-Error-Startup-not-working/td-p/5447333
Relevancy 68.8%

Hey, I've never actually asked my own question on one of these forums before, but this is becoming a problem that really needs fixing.

I've been able to fix adware problems on my friends', family's and my own computers before with Adwcleaner and it has always worked quite successfully, until I got a Windows 10 computer. Now when I try and run the 'Clean' function, I get the blue screen of death with the words 'Critical Process Died Error', and I haven't found a way to get around it. 

Could anyone please help me - is it just an incompatibility with Adwcleaner and Windows 10 or is there a way to fix this?

A:Adwcleaner not working on Windows 10 - Critical Process Died Error

The Adwcleaner works with my Windows 10 you need to install latest version of device drivers.Install all important Windows updates.Update your programs.Open Command Prompt as a administrator and type Sfc /Scannow to repair any damage Windows system files.You can ask help at Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support forum.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/610457/adwcleaner-not-working-on-windows-10-critical-process-died-error/
Relevancy 68.8%

HElP nbsp When I turned on my laptop this morning I received a critical error Windows 10 error start menu stopped working/critical that said Critical Error - your start menu isn't working We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in nbsp I restarted times after that each time with the same error nbsp So I reached out to HP support by chat nbsp Was in contact with a Windows 10 start menu stopped working/critical error very nice agent took control of my screen and got to work nbsp After the restart by the agent the chat did not reconnect nbsp I waited a bit assuming the agent would call me on my cell we had already reconfirmed that number and no call nbsp So I tried to reconnect on chat and Windows 10 start menu stopped working/critical error chat would not connect at all nbsp I restarted again still no chat nbsp So I called the support line nbsp Got transferred many times and then was told that they would have to Windows 10 start menu stopped working/critical error charge me to help nbsp And I explained to them that I was in the MIDDLE of getting it fixed with someone on chat for free but we were disconnected and now what was I supposed to do nbsp He She was in the middle of doing something to my computer and I have no idea what was done nbsp I talked to a supervisor who after much discussion found out that the chat system had crashed and they expected it up in a couple of hours nbsp Well it has been hours and still the chat is not working and I still don't have a fucntioning start button AND I have no idea what the tech did to my computer nbsp Help me Thank you

A:Windows 10 start menu stopped working/critical error

you need to add new user  or install the start menu . this will work, no need of a technicain and i will share a video to you so that you can do it by your self. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=646rm-YwQ2I

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Windows-10-start-menu-stopped-working-critical-error/td-p/5598439
Relevancy 67.94%

Hi,

While using the computer I all of a sudden got the messages:
"Services and Controller App has stopped working". and "Windows has found a critical error and will restart in one minute".
Detailed box shows
APPCRASH
services.exe

After a restart, the computer does the same thing over and over again.

I managed to stop the problem by deactivating the wireless internet adapter via the radio switch.
Interestingly, whenever I make a connection to the internet (not when I activate the adapter), the error occurs again.

I?m currently scanning my computer in safe mode with avg, but I?n not confident this will help.

Does anyone know what this can be?

thanks

A:"Services and Controller App has stopped working" and "Windows has found a critical error an

Worth Reading, IMOLouis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/319634/services-and-controller-app-has-stopped-working-and-windows-has-found-a-critical-error-an/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hello everyone, I am having a strange issue with my Windows 8.1 where every time I click on an app aside from store (games, project spark, Despicable Me etc) it comes up for 3-5 seconds before minimizing with the icons on the desktop. I am running Windows 8.1 64-bit Professional, an Nvidia Geforce GT545 with 3GB VRAM, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Intel Core I7 3.2GHZ quad core processor and Intel HD Integrated Audio.

A:most metro apps not loading, minimizes with no error messa

Hello Kira,

The listed troubleshooting items in the tutorial below may be able to help for now.

Apps and Tiles Not Working or Responding: Fix in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/50592-most-metro-apps-not-loading-minimizes-no-error-messa.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hello, Cortana no longer works for me. It was fine earlier. Updates current, microphone works per sound meter (on speaker icon>recording devices) also working per device mgr. Downloaded MS troubleshooter that said "Microsoft Experiences Host" and Microsoft Windows Cortana" need to be installed correctly' What's that supposed to mean? Ran admin. sfc/scannow no problems there. She won't respond to voice commands, also the search box is there but can't type in it. The 'Cortana' button at start menu isn't functional. Can't even find on/off button for Cortana in settings. Only other option maybe go to restore point. Really at a loss. Any ideas anyone? Thanks and please respond soon. Steve ..........

A:Cortana not working windows 10 pc

Hi, create a new user for test purposes. Does Cortana work in that?

If so, then see
Apps - Reinstall and Re-register in Windows 8 and 10 - Windows 10 Forums
Section 2
CTRL F and search for Cortana, and use that Power Shell command, noting the instructions at the start of section 2 as to how to do it.

Now sthg must have caused this- have you changed any policy settings, any Settings, changed language..

Another approach would be to use a restore point. Do you have System restore enabled? Do you have any useful restore points?

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/66242-cortana-not-working-windows-10-pc.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Yesterday, I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. All went good, and I'm fully satisfied with Windows 10, but when I called a friend on Skype, I couldn't hear him at all. Not in my headphones. I searched on Google and saw on a lot of forums that if I unninstal that "VIA HD Audio (Win 10) it will fix my problem, but it didn't.[/B] They're still not working, even after I updated the driver back. I also installed Realtek HD Audio driver, after seeing on other forum, but it still didn't work at all. When I click on the speaker icon, go to playback devices, it's not showing headphones, but only speakers. Do you guys know what I can do ? Do you got any idea? I don't want to go back to Windows 7 just because of this.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-8-a/129618-headphones-arent-working-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Everytime I want to hibernate my computer to leave it on overnight, it goes into updates. It updates, then restarts about once or twice saying that the updates weren't configured correctly, and it must revert the changes. It's happened about 5 times and I'd like to fix this.

A:Windows updates aren't working.

hi go to start control panel in classic view,windows update,on the lefthand side,change settings,click the install updates automatically and change the time for update to be downloaed and installed.or change to download and let me choose

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-updates-arent-working-409577.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I have tried using Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register
"$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} in admin powershell. It had no errors but did not fix anything is there any other way to fix this I am using update KB2267602

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b7b90164-9c7e-40bd-81d5-87f19bf91b60/windows-10-start-menu-and-cortana-are-not-working-how-do-i-fix-this?forum=MTCWin8
Relevancy 61.49%

I have an older Toshiba satellite laptop I was cleaning it up the other day removing lots of old programs and I also unchecked several startup processes aren't options Windows other load, working won't I believe Windows won't load, other options aren't working I reviewed all of them and did not uncheck anything for the system I don t know if it was that or something else but now the computer will not Windows won't load, other options aren't working load windows XP Pro It will go to the windows loading screen then goes blank shuts down and tries again over and over Pressing F I have tried all the options start in safe mode start in debugging start with last known good configuration and the rest all result in the same thing - windows loading screen black and power down I can get to the recovery console but don t know how to use this to try and start or fix or find the problem I do not have a boot disk to use either I m traveling I have a USB with me but from what I have just read this would not be so easy to make work Any help is greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Windows won't load, other options aren't working

In recovery mode "fixboot" may solve the problem

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-wont-load-other-options-arent-working.805805/
Relevancy 61.49%

Yesterday after visiting a website that working aren't Windows-based services All may not have been secure I found my Windows Security Center was turned off Shortly after this McAfee removed a trojan from my computer After doing a scan of my computer I re-opened Security Center When I clicked quot Turn on now quot it said quot The Security Center service can't be started quot Following another thread's advice I did Start gt Search 'services' gt Security Center which has nothing under Status and Disabled under Start-up type gt Properties and though I could change Disabled to Automatic Delayed Start when I clicked OK and re-clicked Properties it had turned itself back to disabled All Windows-based services aren't working Also under Service Status it says Stopped yet I cannot click Start I also found that All Windows-based services aren't working Windows Firewall was not using the recommended settings When I click Update Settings it says quot Windows Firewall was unable to make the requested updates quot Clicking 'Turn Windows Firewall on or off' a box saying quot Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running Do you want to start the Windows Firewall service quot I click yes and it opens the settings box however it says I am using the recommended settings To add to my problems clicking on Windows Defender on the side menu brings up this message quot Application failed to initialize x ba A problem caused this program's service to stop To start the service restart your computer or search Help and Support for how to start a service manually quot Since then my computer has been restarted twice and still no luck Lastly whether it is a connected issue I'm not sure however my Windows Live Messenger when attempting to sign in will begin to load then stop working and close itself Restarting didn't help this either Any advice at all on what might have caused this or how to fix any of these problems would be greatly appreciated

A:All Windows-based services aren't working

Go back one week before the problem with system restore.
System Restore - How to

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/298343-all-windows-based-services-arent-working.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I think I may have found the problem Do those dealing with this problem have avast antivirus installed If so I believe that is what is causing the 'critical error' I uninstalled the software and upon reboot my start button and cortana were working perfectly again Now I'm sure you all know how to uninstall software on Fix and not working? - 10 Windows Menu Here! Start Cortana Hopefully your PCs but it may not work in normal mode with the critical error as it didn't with me Therefore I Windows 10 - Start Menu and Cortana not working? Fix Here! Hopefully uninstalled in safe mode Incase you arent familiar with how to access safe mode on windows heres how You press ctrl alt delete and in the bottom right hand corner you click the power button Before you click 'restart' hold down the shift key until the next screen is Windows 10 - Start Menu and Cortana not working? Fix Here! Hopefully displayed blue Then click troubleshoot advanced options start-up settings restart Once it restarts press the F key and when it restarts you will be in safe mode Now just do the normal thing to Windows 10 - Start Menu and Cortana not working? Fix Here! Hopefully uninstall avast and then reboot following the installation and it should be fixed I also posted this response on the Microsoft forum 'Windows Critical error fix Start menu and cortana not working quot bug when logging in with MSA ' Hope this can help some people it was hella frustrating trying to fix this -LiamHughess

A:Windows 10 - Start Menu and Cortana not working? Fix Here! Hopefully

Hope it works for most :) Thanks for the fix

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/372745-windows-10-start-menu-cortana-not-working-fix-here-hopefully.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I can search files, but no interest search in Cortana. I'm connected to the internet. I noticed this today after the new cumulative update.

Anyone else having this issue? How do I fix it?

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/62237-cortana-interests-arent-available-moment.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi there This is my first post apologies if I have skipped forum rules or if this is in the wrong section but facing a slight emergency here Started facing this problem since today morning Start Menu doesnt work upon clicking Task Manager works when system first boots but then goes into quot Not Responding quot mode doesn't work either Cortana Windows Manager not Start, Task 10 Cortana, working Search doesnt work Currently cant click icons on desktop either Right click doesn't seem to be working either Third party apps like games seem to be working fine oddly enough Tried a system restore system restore failed Tried reinstalling Windows 10 Start, Cortana, Task Manager not working windows apps via powershell command ran for a really long time before I got the quot Server Execution failed quot message Have tried creating a new user new user creation via quot Windows 10 Start, Cortana, Task Manager not working Manage User Accounts quot tends to hang again Have tried running below from cmd returned with no errors gt sfc scannow Have run a malware check returned negative Have run the windows troubleshooter got a message quot Fix or work around emerging issue quot Getting this message right now ms-settings personalization-background gt This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action Please install a program or if one is already installed create an association in the Default Programs control panel I haven't performed a clean install of Windows yet on my system as I am trying to determine if there's any way to fix this problem without formatting my disk Any help would be appreciated

A:Windows 10 Start, Cortana, Task Manager not working

Hi, welcome to tenforums.

Assuming you are using build 10586, the powershell command previously used for fixing universal apps is broken- it actually breaks the apps. One person has suggested a method of taking ownership of the relevant folder and copying back the necessary files.

However your problems seem more widespread, so I would suggest this:
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
This will let you keep almost everything, programs and settings. It will create Windows.old, and takes as long as installing Windows- effectively it's almost the same procedure.

Limitations:
- your associations will be reset to MS default
- you will probably lose any non-standard fonts
- you will lose any system icon customisation
- system restore will be disabled- you will need to turn it back on again.

** Since we don't know what caused the problem, I would recommend you first
- run
chkdsk /F C:
from an admin command prompt (Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (admin).
- create a disk image of what you have now.
This is a big repair procedure, so you want to be sure you don't lose any data.

Everyone should routinely use disk imaging -
Start using disk imaging. Regularly. Before any major change, and after a big change or a series of smaller changes. System Restore isn't enough.. it can help sometimes, but only if you turn it on (it's off by default.. absurd).

Get a copy of Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper (both have free options). The first is more geeky and a cut down version of a commercial product - no incremental backup. The 2nd is more straightforward, offering both differential and incremental backups. (You can read about those yourself if unsure). Make sure you create the boot disk.. essential when dealing with an unbootable PC.You need large enough external storage for the image files.

With disk images you
a. Can restore disk/partition in a defined time (e.g 20 to 40 mins).
b. Have a full backup - can extract files.
c. Can use them to rebuild your system on a new HDD (e.g.)
d. Have peace of mind (most important!)

If you had been using disk imaging, you could have restored a previous image in -say- under 40 mins to fix this.

Hope that helps..

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/38676-windows-10-start-cortana-task-manager-not-working.html
Relevancy 60.63%

When clicking on Start Menu a critical error shows sayingYour Start Menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in.When following the instructions to sign in nothing alters.

http://community.acer.com/t5/E-and-M-Series-Laptops/Get-critical-error-Your-start-menu-isn-t-working-we-ll-try-to/td-p/433351/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 60.2%

A week ago or so a problem started when I booted up my windows 8 acer desktop and once it got to the log in screen the mouse and keyboard wouldn't work... Although I got that fixed somehow and it didn't happen again... until now. I've tried everything I can think of but it doesn't fix it. Please I need help fast

-snossy

A:My USB ports aren't working past boot on my acer windows 8. HELP PLEASE. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO?

Can anyone help? Please I need to do work

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-usb-ports-arent-working-past-boot-on-my-acer-windows-8-help-please-is-there-anything-i-can-do.1163524/
Relevancy 60.2%

I've got a brand new WIN 10 HP Pavillion laptop (16 gigs RAM 2 TB HD) only 3 weeks old.
Windows icon on L bottom task bar AND Windows keyboard icon do not work. Cortana also not working.

Already spent too much time with HP chat trying to fix problem remotely but no fix.
Have a copy of entire convo if anyone finds it helpful:
> "HP Customer Support for Notebook Support. My name is Anand Kumar and I will be your technical support specialist today...."

Can anyone help or ID what's going on?
your help is greatly appreciated!
...so frustrated!

A:WIN10 HP laptop only 3 weeks old - Windows icon & Cortana not working

I can only recommend to return that thing. No need to lose your sleep over it.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/35814-win10-hp-laptop-only-3-weeks-old-windows-icon-cortana-not-working.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Please Help!!!!

I'm running Win XP Home Edition SP2 and I've searched Google and Win knowledge base to no avail...also Kelly's Corner web site.

When the PC is turned on and off the default Start Windows
and Exit Windows sound is not played through the speakers
which are turned on. All other Windows sounds are played
correctly.
I have checked the sound properties in Control
Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices /Properties and the Windows
Default Sound Scheme is selected. The corresponding .wav
files are in place i.e. Windows XP Shutdown.wav and
Windows XP Startup.wav.
Please advise how I can rectify this fault.
Thanks

Relevancy 60.2%

A week ago or so a problem started when I booted up my windows 8 acer desktop and once it got to the log in screen the mouse and keyboard wouldn't work... Although I got that fixed somehow and it didn't happen again... until now. I've tried everything I can think of but it doesn't fix it. Please I need help fast

-snossy

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-usb-ports-arent-working-past-boot-on-my-acer-windows-8.1163524/
Relevancy 59.77%

-snossy

A:My USB ports aren't working past boot on my acer windows 8... HELP PLEASE... I NEED TO DO WORK

Can anyone help? Please I need to do work

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-usb-ports-arent-working-past-boot-on-my-acer-windows-8-help-please-i-need-to-do-work.1163524/
Relevancy 59.77%

I am on Dell Optiplex 780 running Windows 7 Professional. I recently obtained this computer from a family member. However, they could not remember the log in for it (when you first turn it on you go through ctrl-alt-del then are prompted to enter password).

I tried Ophcrack, it said it was not able to crack any passwords.

I also tried Offline NT Password & Registry Editor. This did not work either. I had a little bit of trouble with it- the username listed in the welcome screen was not one of those listed when I ran the tool. So, if someone is familiar enough with it maybe they can help me figure out what I am doing wrong? If not, some other way for me to recover or reset my password?

Thank you in advance for your help.

A:Forgot pw- recovery/reset programs aren't working (Windows 7 Professional)

Use Offline NT Password & Registry Editor to enable the Hidden Administrator Account. Once that is enabled you can change the password of the the other accounts using the Administrator Account.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/530385/forgot-pw-recoveryreset-programs-arent-working-windows-7-professional/
Relevancy 57.62%

Ok, someone please help me with this... I can't get any windows updates at all... My automatic updates will start and say downloading updates 0% and then it will stop. So, I went to the microsoft update page and I got Error number: 0x80072EE7.I went to http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836941 and nothing helped. I did a google search and saw that somebody had a file here called Fixwareout, so I downloaded and it didn't work either.I don't know what the freak to do.I have Windows XP Home edition service pack 3

A:Windows Updates Aren't Downloading, Getting Error Messages

I presume this a bug in XP SP3 as it is still in beta stage. You should uninstall that and wait till it is a stable version before you use it on a important personal PC. Don't forget to submit a bug report for SP3 - that'll get you invited for more testing (and you may get some personalized support with fixing it on your system).I wonder... If you uninstall SP3 do you keep all your updates?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/124774/windows-updates-arent-downloading-getting-error-messages/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi
Please could someone help i have a toshiba satellite laptop - trying to help a friend out - the windows has failed and the recovery system took for ages to process and then came up with boot critical file d:\windows\system 32\drivers\partmgr.sys is corrupt. also file repair error code came up with error code 0x490, she does not recovery discs.

Many Thanks 

A:boot critical partmgr.sys windows not working please help

You can make a repair disc on another Windows 7 computer with 32 or 64 bit version matching the one you're working on.  Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Backup and restore -> Create system repair disc.  Insert a blank CD-R and it will make it.  Then take the repair disc, boot from it, and do the repair.
 I assumed Windows 7 for this since you didn't say.

Good luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/541756/boot-critical-partmgrsys-windows-not-working-please-help/
Relevancy 55.47%

I recently have been getting the Error message Windows has encountered a critical error and will close in one minute.
I do not have the Brazilian financial Active X control that became corrupted, or if I do, I cannot find it. I have Vista 32-bit on an Acer Aspire laptop. This message comes up after I login and I can either access the Internet via Safe mode w/Networking, or do a System Restore, at which time the laptop works for about two or three times and then the error message comes back.
Do I have a bug? Please help!!!!

A:Error Message 0x80070005 critical error - windows will close in one minute

I followed the preparation guide and when I tried to run dds.scr, the black screen came up really fast and then disappeared and nothing ever came up. When I tried to run RootRepeal.exe, I was able to tell it to scan, but then I never received a report. When I tried to run it again, it said that I didn't have permission, and when I tried to delete it, it said the same thing! I am the administrator...I have Vista 32bit and I am getting the error code 0x80070005 windows has encountered a critical error and will now close. I run system restore to get it to stop, but that only works a few times, and then I get the error message again.
What do I do now??

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/266440/error-message-0x80070005-critical-error-windows-will-close-in-one-minute/
Relevancy 55.47%

Quote:

A couple weeks ago, we got an early look at Cortana in Windows 10 and thanks to the new leak of Windows 10 build 9901, we have a lot more to share about the new feature.
As you can see from the images in this post, in build 9901, Cortana is much more refined in her appearance and she appears to be more responsive on our install. More so, we can also dig into the settings of the feature and gain a better understanding of where the feature is headed.

Windows 10: Cortana gets refined, adds "Hey Cortana" feature - Neowin

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/windows-10-cortana-gets-refined-adds-hey-cortana-feature-931194.html
Relevancy 55.04%

The "Start" button has stopped working.  so has Cortana, the internet connection button, the speaker button.  I was not trying to install anything - they just stopped working.  I can not get to any settings, apps, programs, etc.  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/The-quot-Start-quot-button-is-not-working-Cortana-is-not/td-p/5634277
Relevancy 55.04%

The "Start" button has stopped working.  so has Cortana, the internet connection button, the speaker button.  I was not trying to install anything - they just stopped working.  I can not get to any settings, apps, programs, etc.  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/The-quot-Start-quot-button-is-not-working-Cortana-is-not/td-p/5634277
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi there I have been having several errors- one being a Blue Screen Error which has been occuring for probably over a year now every so often and another one occuring only on my other account on this computer which says something along the lines of quot Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute quot right after logging in after some programs have loaded I never really bothered with resolving the Blue Screen Error because it wasn t that serious to me- though it was very annoying but this new critical error when I log into Critical Error and Screen Blue Windows Error my other account is REALLY frustrating to deal with I am not new to computers and have quite a bit of knowledge about them so don t worry about holding back any details or technical explanations I ll probably understand most of it Anyways here is the problem report for the Blue Blue Screen Error and Windows Critical Error Screen Error Problem signature Problem Event Name BlueScreen OS Version Locale ID Blue Screen Error and Windows Critical Error Files that help describe the problem some files may no longer be available Mini - dmp sysdata xml Version txt View a temporary copy of Blue Screen Error and Windows Critical Error these files Warning If a virus or other security threat caused the problem opening a copy of the files could harm your computer Extra information about the problem BCCode BCP F FB BCP BCP F AD BCP OS Version Service Pack Product I have Windows Vista bit Home Premium If you need any more info just let me know and I ll post it Any help will be very MUCH appreciated D thanks - Dr Prodigy nbsp

Relevancy 54.61%

Today I decided I was going to restore grub and get Ubuntu 8 tools not Windows aren't and working will boot boot repair Windows Windows 8 will not boot and boot repair tools aren't working and OS X all booting from it that turned out to be Windows 8 will not boot and boot repair tools aren't working a mistake First what I did was boot into the old grub menu with my bios and I loaded up Ubuntu I decided to run sudo grub-install dev sda which I think is where I went wrong then sudo update-grub that seemed to work at first but my grub menu didn t update so I ran the boot repair utility in ubuntu and after that grub seemed fine Grub loaded up with my operating systems detected and eveything The first thing I did after that was load up Windows and it seemed to be working I saw the boot screen and the spinner with no messages under it so I just held the power button because I wanted to test OS X booting At that point OS X loaded up and wanted to do a check disk on the windows partition and I didn t let it because I didn t want to wait I decided to go back into windows and it wouldn t boot I was told to do a system restore and I tried it but the repair utility said simply that an error occured I rebooted and the next time it gave me the option of shutting down or opening advanced options I opened the advanced options and opened up the familiar system restore point utility It told me that it couldn t do a system restore because I needed to enable system protection on my C drive The only thing I could find for that was a powershell command which Windows 8 will not boot and boot repair tools aren't working I can t run from the repair console and some other site saying to run chkdsk R which I ran At the end it told me it could not transfer the log file because error occurred I also tried a refresh which told me it couldn t complete do to an error I think the problem is when I ran grub-install because the log from the boot-repair utility metioned something about MBR which makes me think that grub ignored the EFI system in place and wrote an MBR which could be messing with the windows boot process Is there any more information I can provide to solve this and is there any way I can avoid re-installing windows from scratch Can I even do that with an upgrade license Thanks in advance

A:Windows 8 will not boot and boot repair tools aren't working

I have to agree with your assumption that the MBR was most likely changed, which is causing issues with Windows booting.

Can you post the line from the log that makes you think the MBR was modified?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/474261/windows-8-will-not-boot-and-boot-repair-tools-arent-working/
Relevancy 54.18%

Everytime i boot up windows i get this critical error. My computer randomly crashes and its basically pwned. Can anyone help me?

szAppName : svchost.exe szAppVer : 0.0.0.0 szModName : unknown
szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 00000000

A:Windows critical error

I need your system specs and I will b able 2 help u

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-critical-error.58322/
Relevancy 53.75%

Over the last couple of days I have found Cortana's 'Ask Me Anything' search box will not work. I can type nothing in. From inspection of other people's problems with Cortana it seems the trouble is often associated with Start Menu malfunction. In my case however I have no problem with the start menu.
Can anyone advise me how to overcome this annoying problem?
PS The Windows 10 updates are all installed.

A:Cortana not working.

Suggestions only :

1. You said " Over the last couple of days ". If that is the fact, do a system restore. Pick a date when Cortana was working , or at least a week ago as your restore point.

2. If that does not help. Try this troubleshooting method..............
Run a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.
Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
It will take quite sometime.
When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
1. No integrity violation.
2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
If the report is #3, use this method................
In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.
Again it will take some time.
When finished, it will give you a report.

3. Create another user account with exactly the same privileges > log on to it and see if Cortana will work.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/37075-cortana-not-working.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hey,

Unfortunately I don't live in the US, so I set all regional/language settings (even the time zone) to United States and English but Cortana still isn't working. When I go in the settings, it just shows this:

Can I somehow fix this?

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/62416-cortana-isnt-working.html
Relevancy 53.75%

My CD drive isn't reading CD's. I checked it out and it says its working fine but when I put a disk in it says there isn't one there. Help!

A:Cd's aren't working!

Hi Claudia, welcome to TSG....

I'll move this to the hardware forum....

What's the history of the cdrom, has it ever worked, has it been cleaned lately?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cds-arent-working.55582/
Relevancy 53.75%
Relevancy 53.75%

I ve had this problem before except it was almost a year ago and on a different computer I m getting a yellow triangle in the system tray and a message about a quot critical system error quot It then gives me a bs paragraph about a trojan infection and lists spyware removal programs I should download Windows Defender is useless against this and spybot S Solved: error" working not Defender fake message, "Critical System amp D can t remove the infected files This is in Vista bit Here s a hijack log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows Vista Solved: "Critical System error" fake message, Defender not working WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Program Files Windows Solved: "Critical System error" fake message, Defender not working Defender MSASCui exe C Windows RtHDVCpl exe C Windows System rundll exe C Windows System rundll exe C Program Files Elantech Ktp exe C Program Files Motorola SMSERIAL sm hlpr exe C Program Files Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager IAAnotif exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Protector Suite QL psqltray exe C Program Files Solved: "Critical System error" fake message, Defender not working Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe C Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe C Windows system SearchFilterHost exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName O - Hosts localhost O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveShellExtensions dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO e helper - DF DD -AC - A - E - B AF - no file O - HKLM Run Windows Defender ProgramFiles Windows Defender MSASCui exe -hide O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime QTTask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run iTunesHelper quot C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe quot O - HKLM Run RtHDVCpl RtHDVCpl exe O - HKLM Run NvSvc RUNDLL EXE C Windows system nvsvc dll nvsvcStart O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C Windows system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run NvMediaCenter RUNDLL EXE C Windows system NvMcTray dll NvTaskbarInit O - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe install O - HKLM Run KTPWare C Program Files Elantech ktp exe O - HKLM Run SMSERIAL C Program Files Motorola SMSERIAL sm hlpr exe O - HKLM Run IAAnotif C Program Files Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager iaanotif exe O - HKLM Run IaNvSrv C Program Files Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager OROM IaNvSrv IaNvSrv exe O - HKLM Run PSQLLauncher quot C Program Files Protector Suite QL launcher exe quot startup O - HKLM Run Su... Read more

A:Solved: "Critical System error" fake message, Defender not working

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-critical-system-error-fake-message-defender-not-working.696713/
Relevancy 53.75%

After awaiting at the login screen for a 3-4 hours (doing nothing), my PC suddenly restarted. I checked the event logger and saw a critical error 0x133. I'm attaching all information as described in the forum, in the attached zip file.

If you have any idea what could be wrong, you would make me very happy since this PC is very new. I would also like to add, that after running sfc /scannow, the system scan detected corrupt files but was unable to fix all of them (as it is saying). It also reports that details are included in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Should I upload this file also ?

Thanks in advance.

A:Windows 8.1 Pro critical error 0x133

Hi

Please follow instructions from the below link and fix the component store corruption using DISM utility.

DISM - Fixing Component Store Corruption in Windows 8

Then use Windows update to receive the latest patches. Please report your findings in next reply.

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/36245-windows-8-1-pro-critical-error-0x133.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I keep receiving this pop up multiple times,that windows has encountered a critical error,that the system will restart in one minute. Other times,I'd be doing something and it would restart w/o notice. Also,dealing with,slowness and freezing.

A:Windows has encountered a critical error...

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
 List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link.  Do not copy/paste data from the report.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/494011/windows-has-encountered-a-critical-error/
Relevancy 53.75%

New problem on my computer:

Noticed today that the Microsoft Security Essentials icon in my tray was red, as if the service was turned off, going to turn it back on I got a message saying something to the effect of 'the service cannot be detected on this computer', I went to the control panel and uninstalled the service, before going online to the Microsoft website and reinstalling. Soon after installing, I got one message saying that threats had been cleaned off the computer and then another saying that 2 threats had been quarantined. As this threat message pops up, I then get a window open telling me that Windows has encountered a critical error and will shut down in one minute.

This happens over and over, including in safe mode. I have Windows Vista 32 bit.

A:Windows has encountered a Critical Error

Greetings And Welcome To The Forums!!My name is Gringo and I'll be glad to help you with your malware problems. I have put together somethings for you to keep in mind while I am helping you to make things go easier and faster for both of usPlease do not run any tools unless instructed to do so.
We ask you to run different tools in a specific order to ensure the malware is completely removed from your machine, and running any additional tools may detect false positives, interfere with our tools, or cause unforeseen damage or system instability.Please do not attach logs or use code boxes, just copy and paste the text.
Due to the high volume of logs we receive it helps to receive everything in the same format, and code boxes make the logs very difficult to read. Also, attachments require us to download and open the reports when it is easier to just read the reports in your post.Please read every post completely before doing anything.
Pay special attention to the NOTE: lines, these entries identify an individual issue or important step in the cleanup process.Please provide feedback about your experience as we go.
A short statement describing how the computer is working helps us understand where to go next, for example: I am still getting redirected, the computer is running normally, etc. Please do not describe the computer as "the same", this requires the extra step of looking back at your previous post.NOTE: At the top of your post, click on the Watch Topic Button, select Immediate Notification, and click on Proceed. This will send you an e-mail as soon as I reply to your topic, allowing us to resolve the issue faster. NOTE: Backup any files that cannot be replaced. Removing malware can be unpredictable and this step can save a lot of hartaches if things don't go as planed. You can put them on a CD/DVD, external drive or a pen drive, anywhere except on the computer. NOTE: It is good practice to copy and paste the instructions into notepad and print them in case it is necessary for you to go offline during the cleanup process. To open notepad, navigate to Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad. Please remember to copy the entire post so you do not miss any instructions.download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive. Plug the flash-drive into the infected PC. Enter System Recovery Options. To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options: Restart the computer. As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears. Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item. Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next. Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next. Select your user account an click Next.To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc: Insert the installation disc. Restart your computer. If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings. Click Repair your computer. Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next. Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next. Select your user account and click Next.On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options: Startup Repair System Restore Windows Complete PC Restore Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool Command Prompt[*]Select Command Prompt [*]In the command window type in notepad and press Enter. [*]The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open. [*]Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad. [*]In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive. [*]The tool will start to run. [*]When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer. [*]... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/460017/windows-has-encountered-a-critical-error/
Relevancy 53.75%

My problem is as listed in my topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic458953.html
I was advised to make a topic here.

My computer's Microsoft security essentials detects 2 viruses before a message pops up saying that windows has encountered a critical error and must restart. This happens EVEN IN SAFE MODE.

I can't run any of the scans from steps 6-9 suggested in the last topic as my computer will not stay on long enough.

Can anyone help? Or will I be forced to use my last system restore point? (Will that even work?)

A:Windows critical error an restarts

Greetings And Welcome To The Forums!!My name is Gringo and I'll be glad to help you with your malware problems. I have put together somethings for you to keep in mind while I am helping you to make things go easier and faster for both of usPlease do not run any tools unless instructed to do so.
We ask you to run different tools in a specific order to ensure the malware is completely removed from your machine, and running any additional tools may detect false positives, interfere with our tools, or cause unforeseen damage or system instability.Please do not attach logs or use code boxes, just copy and paste the text.
Due to the high volume of logs we receive it helps to receive everything in the same format, and code boxes make the logs very difficult to read. Also, attachments require us to download and open the reports when it is easier to just read the reports in your post.Please read every post completely before doing anything.
Pay special attention to the NOTE: lines, these entries identify an individual issue or important step in the cleanup process.Please provide feedback about your experience as we go.
A short statement describing how the computer is working helps us understand where to go next, for example: I am still getting redirected, the computer is running normally, etc. Please do not describe the computer as "the same", this requires the extra step of looking back at your previous post.NOTE: At the top of your post, click on the Watch Topic Button, select Immediate Notification, and click on Proceed. This will send you an e-mail as soon as I reply to your topic, allowing us to resolve the issue faster. NOTE: Backup any files that cannot be replaced. Removing malware can be unpredictable and this step can save a lot of hartaches if things don't go as planed. You can put them on a CD/DVD, external drive or a pen drive, anywhere except on the computer. NOTE: It is good practice to copy and paste the instructions into notepad and print them in case it is necessary for you to go offline during the cleanup process. To open notepad, navigate to Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad. Please remember to copy the entire post so you do not miss any instructions.download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive. Plug the flash-drive into the infected PC. Enter System Recovery Options. To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options: Restart the computer. As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears. Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item. Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next. Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next. Select your user account an click Next.To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc: Insert the installation disc. Restart your computer. If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings. Click Repair your computer. Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next. Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next. Select your user account and click Next.On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options: Startup Repair System Restore Windows Complete PC Restore Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool Command Prompt[*]Select Command Prompt [*]In the command window type in notepad and press Enter. [*]The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open. [*]Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad. [*]In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive. [*]The tool will start to run. [*]When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer. [*]... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/458990/windows-critical-error-an-restarts/
Relevancy 53.75%

I keep receiving this pop up multiple times,that Windows has encountered a critical error and system will restart in one minute. Other times,I'll be doing something and my computer restarts without any notice. Also,dealing with slow,freezing moments as well.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-has-encountered-a-critical-error.1098247/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi it seems I have downloaded some spyware Every time I open a folder in my documents I get the following pop-up Attention Some dangerous viruses detected in your system Windows Vista Home Basic files corrupted This may lead to the destruction of important files in C Windows Download protection software now Click ok to download the antispyware Recommended Any way to get rid of it Please and thank you in advance Deckard's System Scanner v Run by Jacqueline on - - Computer is in Normal Mode --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Backed up registry hives Performed disk cleanup -- HijackThis run as Jacqueline exe ------------------------------------------Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows Vista WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C Windows system Dwm exeC Windows Explorer EXEC Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exeC Windows RtHDVCpl exeC Windows System rundll exeC Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exeC Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD DX PDVDDXSrv exeC Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktop exeC Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exeC Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exeC Program Files Windows Live Messenger msnmsgr exeC Program Files AdwareAlert AdwareAlert exeC Program Files AIM aim exeC Program Files Digital Line Detect DLG exeC Windows System rundll exeC Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktop exeC Program Files AIM aolsoftware exeC Windows system taskeng exeC Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exeC Windows system conime exec PROGRA mcafee com agent mcagent exec PROGRA mcafee VIRUSS mcvsshld exeC Program Files SiteAdvisor SiteAdv exeC Program Files Internet Explorer ieuser exeC Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLLoginProxy exeC Users Jacqueline Desktop dss exeC Windows system msfeedssync exeC Windows system SearchFilterHost exeC PROGRA TRENDM HIJACK Jacqueline exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer On Critical Vista Error! Pop-ups Windows Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http cm my yahoo com p htmlR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId Critical Error! Pop-ups On Windows Vista R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Internet Critical Error! Pop-ups On Windows Vista Explorer provided by DellR - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook View Private MySpace Profiles Toolbar - e e - fc- a - - aa ad cf - C Program Files View Private MySpace Profiles tbView dllO - Hosts localhostO - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO no name - FD D- B- FC- - AE - C Program Files SiteAdvisor SiteAdv dllO - BHO McAntiPhishingBHO - C E- F E- D C- F-F BD D CF - c PROGRA mcafee msk mcapbho dllO - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - c Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - BHO scriptproxy - DB D A - - E -B D- F C - C Program Files McAfee VirusScan scriptsn dllO - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dllO - BHO Browser Address Error Redirector - CA C - B - E-A -A C DB F - C Program Files Dell BAE BAE dllO - BHO View Private MySpace Pro... Read more

A:Critical Error! Pop-ups On Windows Vista

Hi Maerchen, Sorry for the delay, we have many logs backed up. Please disable Windows Defender and Adware Alert, as they will prevent registry changes. You can enable them after we have your computer clean. Download FixIEDef.exe by ShadowPuterDude to the Desktop. Mirrors: Alternate official download locations for FixIEDef.exe http://it-mate.co.uk/downloads/fixiedef/fixiedef.exe http://hosts-file.net/download/fixiedef/fixiedef.exe http://avant.it-mate.co.uk/?c=Download&f=Tools/FixIEDef http://archives.mysteryfcm.co.uk/?f=Securi...pyware/FixIEDef Double-click FixIEDef.exe, this will create a folder named FixIEDef on your Desktop. Double-click of the FixIEDef folder. NOTE: You will need to temporarily disable any programs you have running that will block attempts to edit the registry. As FixIEDef calls REGEDIT to delete registry keys added by Zlob, Trojan.Downloader.Delf, AntiSpyPro, and IE Defender. WARNING: FixIEDef will kill all copies of Internet Explorer and Explorer that are running. The icons and Start Menu on your Desktop will not be visible while FixIEDef is running. This is necessary to remove parts of the infection that would otherwise not be removed. FixIEDef will re-start Explorer at the end of the removal process VISTA Users: Double-click on DisableUAC inside the FixIEDef folder and answer "Yes" if asked if you want to merge with the registry. After the script has finished double-click on EnableUAC.reg inside the FixIEDef folder to re-enable UAC. Answer "Yes" if asked if you want to merge with the registry. Locate FixIEDef.bat and double-click on it. VISTA Users: Right-click on FixIEDef.bat and select "Run as Administrator". FixIEDef will now run. You can safely close the Command Console after Explorer has restarted. Note: process.exe is detected by some antivirus programs (AntiVir, Dr.Web, Kaspersky) as a "RiskTool". It is not a virus, but a program used to stop system processes. Antivirus programs cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert the userPlease post a fresh DSS Main.txt log

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/159013/critical-error-pop-ups-on-windows-vista/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi, I am new here so please bare with me.

It seems that a few days ago Windows completed a "critical" update and since then when I boot the computer up I get the famous blue screen but when I start the computer in safe mode its fine but I have to restore the computer back to an earlier date. It runs fine after I've done this but when I shut the computer down and turn it back on the blue screen comes up again and I have to go through the same thing and go back to an earlier restore point.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this? Many thanks.

A:Error after a windows critical update

Welcome aboard.

What does the blue screen say? Can you post it following the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/251872-error-after-windows-critical-update.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Ok its happened 2x now so i ll guess theirs a problem. Didn t think much of it till it just happened again so bringing it here for a fix.

For the 2nd time over the past week i got the pop up error " Windows has encountered a critical problem and needs to shutdown please save your work " ! ?

The pc then shuts down and then restarts a couple of minutes later ! !

Using Malwearbytes and Cclearer and Superanti spywear along with Avira virus scanner.

Using vista HP 32 bit with ie 7.0 if that helps.

So whats this error all about and how do i fix whatever this problem is ? ?

Thanks need the help . .

Relevancy 53.75%

From time to time I'll get an error message saying Windows has encountered a critical error and will shut down in minute I've had this error before and I've gotten help from these forums before It's a little different this time around in that I cannot click anything after I receive the message I can still move the cursor around but clicking will not do anything DDS log DDS Ver - error" encountered critical has "Windows a - - NTFS AMD Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run by Raf Raf at on - - Microsoft "Windows has encountered a critical error" Windows Ultimate GMT - AV Sophos Anti-Virus Enabled Updated FBD - D - EF-C ED- BE E C A SP Windows Defender Enabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF SP Sophos Anti-Virus Enabled Updated DE A -B E - A -FD D- EB Running Processes C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system nvvsvc exe C Program Files x NVIDIA Corporation D Vision nvSCPAPISvr exe C Windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Program Files x Sophos Sophos "Windows has encountered a critical error" Anti-Virus SavService exe C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation Display nvxdsync exe C Windows system nvvsvc exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RtkNGUI exe C Windows System spoolsv exe C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RAVBg exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Windows system taskhost exe C Program Files x Common Files Adobe ARM armsvc exe C Program Files x Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe "Windows has encountered a critical error" C Program Files x iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files x Sophos AutoUpdate ALMon exe C Windows SysWOW ASGT exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA DTSU PAuSrv exe C Windows SysWOW PnkBstrA exe C Program Files x Sophos Sophos Anti-Virus SAVAdminService exe C Program Files x Sophos AutoUpdate ALsvc exe C Program Files x Sophos Sophos Anti-Virus Web Control swc service exe C Windows system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files x Sophos Sophos Anti-Virus Web Intelligence swi service exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k secsvcs C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSVC EXE C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSvcM exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Windows System alg exe C Windows system SearchIndexer exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServicePeerNet C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files x Nero Update NASvc exe C Windows system sppsvc exe C Windows system SearchProtocolHost exe C Windows system SearchFilterHost exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Windows System cscript exe Pseudo HJT Report BHO Lync Browser Helper D BA - F - CCE-BE A- E DA - C Program Files x Microsoft Office Office OCHelper dll BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files x Java jre bin ssv dll BHO Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files x Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll BHO Google Toolbar ... Read more

A:"Windows has encountered a critical error"

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.
We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.
To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:
*************************************************** In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/533716 <<< CLICK THIS LINK
If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.
***************************************************If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.A new DDS log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available. Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.
Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.
We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again: Download DDS by sUBs from the following link if you no longer have it available and save it to your destop.DDS.com Download LinkDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running. Notepad will open with the results. Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.
Information on A/V control can be found HERE.As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/533716/windows-has-encountered-a-critical-error/
Relevancy 53.75%

After booting my computer i get an error message "windows has encountered a cirtical error. windows will shut down in one minute". I think it is related to the Sirefef virus. I tried following steps i saw in some of the other forums but they did not work because my computer will not stay on long enough. I also get this error message in safe mode. I am operating on windows 7 64 bit home premium. How can I remove this virus

A:"windows has encountered a critical error"

Hello,I will be helping you with your problems. Please be patient while I assist you.Some points for you to keep in mind while I am helping you to make things go easier and faster for both of us Please do NOT run, install or uninstall any programs, unless instructed to do so.
We ask you to run different tools in a specific order to ensure the malware is completely removed from your machine, and running any additional tools may detect false positives, interfere with our tools, or cause unforeseen damage or system instability. Please do not attach logs or use code boxes, just copy and paste the text.
Due to the high volume of logs we receive it helps to receive everything in the same format, and code boxes make the logs very difficult to read. Also, attachments require us to download and open the reports when it is easier to just read the reports in your post. Please read every post completely before doing anything.
Pay special attention to the NOTE: lines, these entries identify an individual issue or important step in the cleanup process. Please provide feedback about your experience as we go.
A short statement describing how the computer is working helps us understand where to go next, for example: I am still getting redirected, the computer is running normally, etc. Please do not describe the computer as "the same", this requires the extra step of looking back at your previous post.NOTE: At the top of your post, click on the Watch Topic Button, select Immediate Notification, and click on Proceed. This will send you an e-mail as soon as I reply to your topic, allowing us to resolve the issue faster.NOTE: Backup any files that cannot be replaced. Removing malware can be unpredictable and this step can save a lot of hartaches if things don't go as planed. You can put them on a CD/DVD, external drive or a pen drive, anywhere except on the computer.NOTE: It is good practice to copy and paste the instructions into notepad and print them in case it is necessary for you to go offline during the cleanup process. To open notepad, navigate to Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad. Please remember to copy the entire post so you do not miss any instructions.----------------------------------------------Please do the following:Step 1Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe on your desktop to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it. To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.Click on change parametersCheck the boxes next to Verify file digital signatures and Detect TDLFS file system, then click OK.Click the Start Scan button.Do not use the computer during the scanIf the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
Note: If Cure is not an option, Skip instead, do NOT choose Delete or Quarantine unless instructed.A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.Step 2Download Security Check by screen317 from here.Save it to your Desktop.Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.Step 3Please download Farbar Service Scanner and ru... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/461616/windows-has-encountered-a-critical-error/
Relevancy 53.75%

New problem on my computer Noticed today that the Microsoft Security Essentials icon in my tray was red as if the service was turned off going to turn it back on I got a message saying something to the effect of the service cannot be detected on this computer I went to the control panel and uninstalled the service before going online to the Microsoft website and reinstalling Soon after installing I got one message saying that threats had been cleaned off the computer and then another saying that threats had been quarentined the last time this popped up I wrote down the a encountered Windows critical has error... threats that were quarentined they were Virus win sirefef R and Trojan win sirefef AH but I m not sure if they Windows has encountered a critical error... ve Windows has encountered a critical error... been the same every time As this threat message pops up I then get a window open telling me that Windows has encountered a critical error and will shut down in one minute This has happened times twice on regular startup and once more on Safe Mode with Networking In anticipation of being asked I m running Windows -Bit version Can anyone give me some help

A:Windows has encountered a critical error...

Welcome!We need a deeper look. Please go here....Preparation Guide ,do steps 6-9.Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.If GMER won't run (it may not on a 64 bit system) skip it and move on.Let me know if that went well.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/458953/windows-has-encountered-a-critical-error/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello

My Home page works, but when I tab to another page it will not connect at all

but firefox works when I tab a page

IE 7 worked Saturday night and then Sunday morning , only page working was home page
thanks

A:Tab Pages aren't working

Hi and welcome to TSF try resetting IE How to reset Internet Explorer settings

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/tab-pages-arent-working-664988.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hey, so somehow I got websave on my computer, and it was really annoying so I downloaded adwcleaner to fix it, then I ran the software then restarted my computer. When I restarted, I couldn't open mozilla, so I deleted it then used internet explorer (which works fine) to redownload it. That didn't work so I tried google chrome. That didn't work either. In both cases when I tried opening the browser I opened windows task manager to see what was going on. Both times the browser would load up to about 2000 K then stop, at the same time it was loading, windows problem reporting would load to about the same memory the stop suddenly as well. I don't know what the problem is... Please help me. Thank you

A:Browsers aren't working

Try starting Firefox in Safe Mode. Hold down the Shift Key while starting Firefox. You may have a add-on that is keeping Firefox from starting.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f131/browsers-arent-working-802410.html
Relevancy 53.32%

So I have a laptop which is an Hp probook in which my webcam isn't working. It happened like 2 months ago. I started to check for every solution but nothing worked, then I bought a new webcam so that maybe it works but it also didn't work. I checked the device manager and it says that the device is working properly for both of the webcams but when I check it with the hp camera it tells me that the camera is either used by another software or is not connected. it also doesn't work on other stuff like skype and fb and others. Can somebody help me please.

A:My webcams aren't working

You may need to restore the laptop to a factory condition by using the HP restore feature...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-webcams-arent-working.195408/
Relevancy 53.32%

Acer AX1470 desk unit. Have rebuilt HHD about 4 times now but same issue. Cortana works fine when I start Windows 10. After an hour or 2 nothing happens when I click on it in the task bar. I then go to the Task Manager and end the Cortana process. Cortana then works properly for another hour or 2 before it fails to respond again. I kill the process and continue to repeat the process.

Relevancy 53.32%

OK, so I'll try to keep this as brief as I can,

I have a L4VXA2 motherboard and operate on windows XP SP3. (if that info is needed at all)

Currently, my usb ports have not been recognizing anything I plug into them.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers twice, still nothing works.
When I try and fix it, it keeps telling me the INF is formatted for windows 95 or later (or something like that)

So now, I have downloaded a VIA USB 2.0 Host Controller, extracted the files, everything was going fine, but now the setup wont run! For the first few times I clicked on it, it kept saying "the setup has detected that unInstallShield is in use. Please close uninstall shield and restart setup Error 432". I rebooted the computer and tried again multiple times. Now the error message doesn't even show up.

I have NO idea what to do, please, PLEASE help :'(

A:My USB ports aren't working???

Welcome to TSF....

What is the make and model of computer?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/my-usb-ports-arent-working-298984.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Is anybody else facing this issue? Cortana fails to connect to internet. This has happened to all my windows 10 devices updated to the 586.545 build released few days back.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/435517-cortana-not-working-after-545-update.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Just today, while I was going on YouTube to watch some videos, I turned on my speakers and played the video. For some reason, the sound didn't come out. I turned the speakers on and off, but that didn't work. I unplugged the wire hooking it up to the computer, but that didn't work either.

Please, someone help me fix this problem. I don't want to resort to buying new ones.

A:Speakers aren't working

Why not start with some details about the configuration? Also, did you try plugging earphones in the speaker jack to see if it's the computer or the speakers? I'd do that before I bought new speakers!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/speakers-arent-working.691053/
Relevancy 53.32%

I'm in India and I have set lang. and location to India But still Cortana says that I'm not available in your country.. Helppppppp!!!

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/49532-cortana-not-working-india.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I had this problem since I upgraded to Vista. All softwares I used before in Windows XP worked without any problem, but most of them now support Vista and they are giving me tons of problems everyday.
What is this happening?

A:Why softwares aren't working?

Software makers have got to rewrite their code to make it work with Vista. Keep checking the maker of the software websites for Vista updates.
Raj

http://www.vistax64.com/software/113916-why-softwares-arent-working.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Ok so here's the deal I have a Powerspec V305,

and its not the greatest computer ever, but it works pretty decently w/o too much error. Three days ago I installed Registry Mechanic and now my USB ports in front don't work, the ones in the rear, do work. but the ones in front where I very often attach my Iphone and camera no longer work at all it seems. I used the restore option on the registry mechanic...no luck...I did a complete system restore no luck. Any ideas?

A:My USB ports aren't working...PLEASE HELP!

Try the device manager. See if any errors are logged against any usb entries. If there are, then try reinstalling the usb drivers, there should be an option with the device propities somewhere.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-usb-ports-arent-working-please-help.795244/
Relevancy 53.32%

For the past few months I ve had problems with some of my quot security quot shortcuts It started when I tried to open AVG and run a scan When I click on the icon I get a pop up stating the quot program working.... Some shortcuts aren't exe quot associated with the icon has changed or moved and do I want to delete the icon I noticed that I had an AVG update come in prior to this problem so I figured it was an AVG problem and I have been working with their customer support people to try and fix it I ve also noticed that other quot security quot programs have Some shortcuts aren't working.... the same problem When I click on quot malwarebytes quot and quot whatsrunning quot I get the same box I just downloaded superantispyware and tried to run it but had the same problem with the desktop Some shortcuts aren't working.... icon I have Spyware Terminator and its working fine I haven t found any other programs that are having the same issues The tech I ve been working with at AVG has had me run uninstall and other programs trying to find the issue but we ve gotten nowhere I can t open AVG to run a scan I get the error box noted above but when I go to my Security Center it shows that quot AVG reports up to date and active quot I haven t been able to reinstall AVG because of an error with a program in Firefox called Chrome I just need some advice on how to fix the problem with the missing or moved programs so my shortcuts will work I don t believe its a virus I ve used Spy Terminator numerous times and its not finding any problems

A:Some shortcuts aren't working....

"Chrome" is a Google browserhttp://www.google.com/chrome/index.html?hl...p;utm_medium=ha

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/215310/some-shortcuts-arent-working/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have total USB ports built into my computer Two in the front and four in the back They have magically stopped working I cannot connect to the net with it using my USB network adapter it will not recognize my external HDD though ports my USB aren't working??? Why this laptop does it will not recognize my MP player It will however recognize my XBOX controller I have been using forever and a day This problem just happened within the past hrs of me posting this At first I thought it might be a virus preventing my from Why aren't my USB ports working??? using my USB ports but I ve been doing some research and other people have had this problem almost I am running Windows XP SP I have checked the device manager and it says that everything is running correctly When I unplug a USB device and plug it back in a small usb icon appears next to the clock I double click on it and brings up a window that says that there is an quot unknown device quot plugged in I ve tried reinstalling the drivers and nothing seems to help The strangest thing about this whole problem is that they all didn t go bad at the same time First it was the front two then the others went bad When the front two went bad I was still able to connect to the net using my usb network adapter which was plugged into the back Now none of them work I m very frustrated because I cannot afford to get anything fixed I m quite poor I only have net because it comes free with the apt complex I live in Please help me Thank you in advance nbsp

A:Why aren't my USB ports working???

Have you tried doing a system restore to a date prior to when the problem started?
vicks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/why-arent-my-usb-ports-working.801931/
Relevancy 53.32%

I recently got given a Microsoft Wireless MultiMedia Keyboard 1.1 Model: 1014

I plugged it in and went to windows update, it installed the keyboard and all working.

Now i have a program that i want to configure the F1 keys to make them do something in the program, I've done this before on my old keyboard but this time it isn't recognising.... F2 key is recognised as CTRL+Z

I've downloaded the latest 64 bit driver from MS website and its not helped.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Dan

A:F2 F3 F4..... Keys aren't working

Hello,

Do I understand correctly that those keys are not detected correctly at all?

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/57667-f2-f3-f4-keys-arent-working.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi all... Ever since I updated from 8.1 to 10, I have not been able to use Cortana. I'm from India. I've checked the region and speech settings. They are all configured to India. When I open Cortana I get the news,weather and other stuffs. But I'm not able to ask her things..it simply crashes.. Is this issue related to my mobile or is cortana broken for all?

A:Cortana not working - 10 mobile

Might be sth only you are experiencing. Try one or two soft resets and if desperate enough, a hard reset.
Otherwise holding out for another update is the only option left

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile/436366-cortana-not-working-10-mobile.html
Relevancy 53.32%

A couple days ago my ports started acting odd getting weird disconnectinos here and there and now nothing will connect at all All the ports give me an error of quot USB Device Not Recognized quot I'm not using any new devices and these devices have been in use for about a year now They do not work in Safe Mode either Things I've tried - Uninstall Reinstall all the drivers for the USB Hubs and the drivers for the external USB devices - Reformat - Cleaning out all the ports with compressed air Working Aren't USB Ports Other information about my computer HP Pavillion dv z Entertainment Notebook Windows Vista Home Premium GB RAM Ghz AMD Turion x Nvidia GeForce Go MB Devices Used Western Digital GB Essential Edition External Hard Drive Logitech Wireless Keyboard Mouse Reciever Logitech Dual Action Joypad If anyone has any kind of help it'd be appreciated I'm just hoping this isn't a hardware issue even though it's becoming apparent that it very well might be

A:USB Ports Aren't Working

There can be many explanations for this, probably most commonly a virus of some sort. Or, there might be a problem within your computer, depending on how everything is connected. If it becomes necessary, you may need to bring it into a repair shop.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/usb-ports-arent-working-221349.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Ill start with hardware specs Im using a HP Pavilion dv ea running Windows Ultimate Intel Core Duo CPU T GHz Typing this off System Info I havent really learnt anything about hardware but I'm assuming this is all you need to Aren't Programs Working? know Right I have Programs Aren't Working? a gb hard drive a few days Programs Aren't Working? ago I decided to install WoW after years of not playing it last time I played it required about gb to install and I had about gb left so I thought I'd just install and it'd be fine but no As I began to install I had a message saying I needed at least gb free so I decided to wipe about gb of music and gb of software since I was freeing up space I thought I'd delete things I didn't need and since doing so my laptop has turned on me The only changes made to Programs Aren't Working? my laptop have been the deletion of music and some un-needed software and the installation of WoW surely this wouldn't mess my laptop up So after rebooting following the installation of WoW I noticed that my CPU and weather 'gadget' had kind of disappeared the icon to move them was still there but the interface wasn't I believe it's called an interface haha The CPU gadget was just like a small white box and the weather one was just not there But this is the least of my problems Since then by the way the WoW installation was nights ago - Christmas night well as of today my Windows Media Player refuses to work the mouse cursor shows signs of loading for about a second but the program doesn't open I have googled but no luck with what's wrong About an hour ago I turned the laptop off to shower let it cool down for a bit - HP Pavilion overheat when I turned it back on my Windows Live Messenger wouldn't start either Its doing the same thing Windows Media Player is doing I have absolutely no idea what could be wrong hopefully someone here knows And whilst I'm here I have another issue which may just be programming errors or my laptop could be screwed When I bought this laptop about years ago it had gb RAM installed it used to be really fast but recently it has been running pretty slow So whilst looking at System Information according to 'Glary Utilities' earlier well as I started this post I noticed 'Memory - MB Speed ' I'm not sure what the Speed part means but according to the System Info in Windows control panel my installed memory is gb how is this possible If anyone can help me with this too I'd be really really grateful especially if my laptop runs better haha Thanks for any help in advance D

Relevancy 53.32%

example:

please help!

A:the colors aren't working

Hi ... Welcome to Seven Forums ... Is your issue just related to Youtube ? ...

Does it happen in all Browsers or just Chrome ? ...

Please fill in your System Specs ... The Link below will help you achieve this ...
System Info - See Your System Specs

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/376136-colors-arent-working.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I'm in India and I have set lang. and location to India But still Cortana says that I'm not available in your country.. Helppppppp!!!

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/49532-cortana-not-working-india.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Very often when I click on links my desktop goes absolutely nowhere. The link will change color as if it recognizes the attempt, but nothing happens. The links are valid and working. My laptop has no problem opening these same links. Please help me if you know what is happening. I have searched my settings but I have not found an option to turn the links on or off.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/90677/some-links-arent-working/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi all... Ever since I updated from 8.1 to 10, I have not been able to use Cortana. I'm from India. I've checked the region and speech settings. They are all configured to India. When I open Cortana I get the news,weather and other stuffs. But I'm not able to ask her things..it simply crashes.. Is this issue related to my mobile or is cortana broken for all?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/436366-cortana-not-working-10-mobile.html
Relevancy 53.32%

After updating to AU, Cortana isn't working properly. I have selected English(India) as language option.. Whenever I open the app give voice instruction or any message, the app gets closed. Please guide possible solution.. Whether the same problem persists at ur end despite having hard reset twice.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/437259-cortana-not-working-my-lumia-730-a.html
Relevancy 53.32%

So, my speaker drivers are updated and installed. My speakers are plugged in correctly ( I think). If I put the speaker at full blast I can hear the on, but no music or sound. Help please!! I can be reached on AIM at Illidansowner

Or you can just post here

A:Speakers aren't working :(

Two things to try left click on speaker icon in task bar and see if mute is checked for some reason this happens fairly often if it is uncheck it. Did the speakers ever work? Recheck all connections and try a system restore back to when they worked All this is assuming you're using xp.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/speakers-arent-working.595177/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have upgraded from Win8 to 8.1 and still doesn't work. can someone please help me? I use this laptop for work and school! Have also been advised to upgrade the BIOS, which I don't really know the importance and I have done it. Still doesn't work! Help me Acer family... 

http://community.acer.com/t5/E-and-M-Series-Laptops/My-E1-510-ports-aren-t-working/td-p/452298
Relevancy 53.32%

Is there a way to completely remove Cortana? I disabled it, but it keeps running in the background.
I did find some suggestions to remove it, but it also removes the search and causes problems to other stuff.
So is there a working way by now to do that?

Thanks!

A:Any working way to remove Cortana?

Hello mibaup,

This will only disable Cortana the personal assistant, and not the Cortana process used by Search (SearchUI.exe). These are two separate items. You don't want to disable search.

Cortana - Enable or Disable in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/38858-any-working-way-remove-cortana.html
Relevancy 53.32%

The stereo-boxes of my computer are not working This could be just a hardware problem but I just doubt it Could aren't My working stereoboxes anyone just look at My stereoboxes aren't working my log even if it's just to humor me Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINNT System smss exeC WINNT system winlogon exeC WINNT system services exeC WINNT system lsass exeC WINNT system svchost exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exeC WINNT system spoolsv exeC WINNT System svchost exeC WINNT system hidserv exeC Program Files Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exeC WINNT system regsvc exeC Program Files Norton AntiVirus SAVScan exeC WINNT system MSTask exeC WINNT system stisvc exeC WINNT System WBEM WinMgmt exeC WINNT Explorer EXEC WINNT System MsPMSPSv exeC WINNT system svchost exeC Program Files Ahead InCD InCD exeC Program Files Logitech iTouch iTouch exeC WINNT AGRSMMSG exeC Program Files Logitech MouseWare system em exec exeC Program Files ScanSoft OmniPageSE opware exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exeC Program Files QuickTime qttask exeC Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exeC Program Files FinePixViewer QuickDCF exeC WINNT system wuauclt exeC unzipped hijackthis HijackThis exeO - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper ocxO - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dllO - Toolbar msdxmLC dll - amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINNT System msdxm ocxO - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dllO - HKLM Run Synchronization Manager mobsync exe logonO - HKLM Run NeroCheck C WINNT System NeroCheck exeO - HKLM Run InCD C Program Files Ahead InCD InCD exeO - HKLM Run c pd C WINNT SYSTEM cmlink exe RunServices Device cpipe- c pdO - HKLM Run zBrowser Launcher C Program Files Logitech iTouch iTouch exeO - HKLM Run Logitech Utility Logi MwX ExeO - HKLM Run AGRSMMSG AGRSMMSG exeO - HKLM Run REGSHAVE C Program Files REGSHAVE REGSHAVE EXE AUTORUNO - HKLM Run Omnipage C Program Files ScanSoft OmniPageSE opware exeO - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKLM Run Symantec NetDriver Monitor C PROGRA SYMNET SNDMon exe ConsumerO - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottimeO - HKLM Run SSC UserPrompt C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared Security Center UsrPrmpt exeO - HKCU Run LDM C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exeO - Global Startup Exif Launcher lnk C Program Files FinePixViewer QuickDCF exeO - Global Startup Logitech Desktop Messenger lnk C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LDMConf exeO - Global Startup Microsoft Office lnk C Program Files Microsoft Office Office OSA EXEO - Plugin for pdf C Program Files Internet Explorer PLUGINS nppdf dllO - Plugin for spop C Program Files Internet Explorer Plugins NPDocBox dllO - Trusted Zone http www hotmail comO - Trusted Zone http www hotmail com O - Trusted Zone http windowsupdate microsoft com O - DPF E E - AF- - C -A ADCBF BD HouseCall Control - http housecall trendmicro com housecall xscan cabO - DPF B-B - D-A D -FCFDF E C WUWebControl Class - http update microsoft com windowsupdate b O - DPF DD -B E - C -B F-F D EA AvxScanOnline Control - http www bitdefender com scan Msie bitdefender cabO - DPF A A - DA - DAF-B - F E E ActiveScan Installer Class - http www pandasoftware com activescan as asinst cabO - Protocol bw - - FEA- -AD - A F - C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program BWPlugProtocol- dllO - Protocol bw s - - FEA- -AD - A F - C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program BWPlugProtocol- dllO - Protocol bw- - - FEA- -AD - A F - C Program Files L... Read more

A:My stereoboxes aren't working

My boxes are working again
I just turned on my computer and they were functioning!
Sorry for being paranoid

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/29883/my-stereoboxes-arent-working/
Relevancy 53.32%

i reinstalled windows xp professional because of viruses. Now for some reason i cannot change my video settings and the display adapters arent showing up in my device manager. there is no display adapter tab. Also i cann ot get my speakers to work. the computer doesnt see that i am connecting speakers in the back of my computer but it does recognize my headset that is pluggged into the front.

A:Speakers aren't working

Did you reinstall all of the motherboard drivers and chipset drivers? These would all have to reinstalled after a fresh reinstallation of windows.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/speakers-arent-working.896694/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hey Gang I m using a store brand of DVDRW I purchased them several months ago Recently I recorded some movies on to several of them At the time they worked Disks Aren't Working DVD-R fine Today I tried them again on my DVD-R Disks Aren't Working PC DVD-R Disks Aren't Working DVDRW and they didn t show up I cleaned them and they showed up as a mpg that didnt play They should be VOB files Right now I get the error saying quot E is not accessible Incorrect function quot I then put them in my TV-DVD player and I got a message that no disk was found Is there anything I can do to restore these files Not all the disks have this problem It seems to happen with the disks I recorded in the last couple of days I used Nero to record them I flashed my hardware recently to accomodate the newer disks When this started happening I flashed them again downward Still no joy I hear some kind of weird sound coming out of the DVD player when I tried to play them I to sounds like it is trying to grab hold of something but having no luck nbsp

A:DVD-R Disks Aren't Working

I'm using a store brand of DVDRW.Click to expand...

Always buy quality media. Store brands usually aren't. Also, DVDRW media, isn't very reliable. Use DVD-R as you listed in the title of the thread. You can try this, but I don't think it's gonna fix your problem. I think your problem is the media you used.

Go into your Device Manager, and find your drive. Right click on it, and choose "Uninstall". After it uninstalls, reboot, and let Windows detect new hardware, and install new a driver for you.

I have tried to tell people that this is what happens when you use Memorex, Khypermedia, and most store brands of media (mostly any media made in Taiwan. Verbatim is the exception). They record ok, and look ok the first time or two you watch them. But when you go back, to watch them again, they may be unwatchable. When buying blank dvds, look on the package for "Made In Japan". It's usually near the bar code. That's not saying you'll never have problems. But you'll have a lot less problems associated with bad media. Sony, Maxell,and Fuji, are good brands, if you get the ones "Made In Japan" (MIJ). MIJ Fuji discs are getting very hard to find though. Verbatim is the only Taiwan made (MIT) media, you should consider.

If the reinstall of the hardware, through the device manager works, I'd copy your discs over to better media, while you can. If it doesn't, I don't think there's much you can do to save what you've burned. I think most software used to encode and burn dvds, puts the files in a folder, on your hard drive. You may find the files for one burned dvd. If you used the same software to do all the dvds, it uses the same folder and overwrites what's in it, each time you do another dvd. That's why I say you might find files for one dvd you burned.
Good luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-r-disks-arent-working.547886/
Relevancy 53.32%

my searchbar cortana has not search working bar/cortana suddenly stopped working when I click I get a message telling me there is a problem please sign out so I googled the problem I ran the systen file checker which reported a problem and said it was fixed problem still there I reinstalled all windows app problem still there so I created a new user account this fixed the problem for that account so I tried to sign in to the newly added local account with my Microsoft account and entered my username and password I then got a screen asking for my old password I assume its the microsoft password I got a message telling me its not correct for this device I only have one password So I left it blank as per the on screen instructions The I got an error sccren 'oops something went wrong its probably our fault' and thats it cant get any further So I thought Id transfer search bar/cortana not working all the files and settings search bar/cortana not working from my old account to the new account and Ive hit a brick wall how can I do this the new account has no knowledge og my applications documents pictures etc I just cant install everything Is it possible to just copy everything from one account to another Im left with an unusable computer if I stick with my old account can anyone help me

A:search bar/cortana not working

Hello, never had to do that, but this may help (from a quick search).
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/transf...ile-in-windows

Note: if you use disk imaging regularly (e.g. Macrium Reflect free) you can always restore your PC to a previously working state- when you created the image.

It's also a full backup.

Presumably you don't have any helpful restore points.
Also recommend you turn on System restore, and set up a daily scheduled task to automatically create a restore point to help recover from such issues.

You will find some results by searching on that 'Oops' message. Not one I've had to deal with, sorry.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/40503-search-bar-cortana-not-working.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi, this is my first post and im not sure if this is the right forum for my problem.
So I have this 6 year old laptop, I recently did a clean windows XP reinstall for it. After installing Internet, Graphics and Audio drivers, some programs still don't work. They either have graphics problems or they crash at start. Some don't even start up, although they are in the processes list in task manager
They work perfectly in my other computer also running XP.

Why don't they work with this one?

If you need any additional details then just ask, but also tell me how to find them.

Relevancy 53.32%

icons such as internet explorer are now responisve when trying to open,

any ideas......

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/icons-arent-working-325113.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi all Can someone tell me why my icon pix pix aren't icon working aren't working right In Win Pro in the 'properties' context menu for shortcuts I lt click gt on the 'customize' icon pix aren't working tab then click lt change icon gt lt browse gt navigate icon pix aren't working to my icons folder click icon pix aren't working on the icon image file I want for this shortcut then a selection window appears showing the image with it already selected I click lt OK gt and now I see the selected image on the properties window as far as I know these are the proper steps to assign a custom image to a shortcut right I know these same steps worked a few days ago on another group of shortcuts However when I click lt apply gt lt lt lt nothing gt gt gt happens consequently when I click lt OK gt lt lt lt nothing gt gt gt happens again I repeat these same steps several times with always the same lt lt lt nothing gt gt gt happens results Can anyone tell me why this is happening Also this same thing occurs a lot even when selecting the default icon images in the Windows default image path but when and IF this happens I'll select a different icon image and this will often but not ALL the time work right amp assign the image to the shortcut Why is this

A:icon pix aren't working

Hi,

Try clearing and rebuilding the Icon Cache

Open an elevated command prompt in Windows 7http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-elevated-command-prompt/
or
Open an elevated command prompt in Windows 8http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/open-an-elevated-command-prompt-in-windows-8/

Copy/Paste or Type each command in Section A. one at a time and press <Enter> after each.
The last line will force the computer to shutdown!
(Make sure you save all of your work before executing these lines)!

Section A.
ie4uinit.exe -ClearIconCache <Enter>

taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F <Enter>

DEL "%localappdata%\IconCache.db" /A <Enter>

shutdown /r /f /t 00 <Enter>

Best of luck and Please keep BC posted!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/553040/icon-pix-arent-working/
Relevancy 53.32%

When I start using Cortana it will not connect to the Internet. I say, for example, "Hey Cortana" then I say "Facebook Log in" it copies what I say but then comes back with, "The Internet and I are not talking right now." or "I can't connect right now, try again in a little bit." I thought it was a problem with my default browser, Google Chrome, but it works fine. How can I run a diagnostic or debug Cortana? It won't even set up my appointments anymore on Calendar and it's on the hard drive. Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thank You in Advance,

Jay

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/52992-cortana-stopped-working.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Please help me. During playing Sid Meier's Rail Road , my PC is suddenly restarted. After restart it shows "The system has recovered from a serious error." It is almost frequent now after a format. Before I played that game many times without any problem.
Error Report, produced by windows contain these signature:

BCCode:10000050 BCP1:E3A3A104 BCP2:00000000 BCP3:BF35CE85

BCP4:00000001 OSVer:5_1_2600 SP:3_0 Product:256_1

My system information:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 3.0
GenuineIntel P4 Processor 2.66 GHz
ASUS mother board (P5GL-TMX)
40+160 GB HDD
512 MB DDR1 RAM
Intel 82915G/GV/910GL video card (128 MB)
DirectX version 9.0c

It is to be noted my PC was running very good before. After the formatting of HDD1 (40 GB), the problems begin. I used TuneUP Utilities 2011 and Smart Defrag 2.2 to ensure optimal performance for my PC. I also used ESET Smart Security 4.

A:Windows XP crashed showing critical error

Well the "TuneUP Utilities" most likely did you in.
They most of the time will do nothing but remove entries in the Registry that are needed, but the program does not think they are needed and your system get messed up.

Since you seem to know how to do a clean install I would do it again, and NOT run ANY program that will speed up this system. With a new build a defrag should not need to be done for a few days at least.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-crashed-showing-critical-error.996825/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi all,
Recently, I noticed on my PC that when I boot it up into the desktop, I get 5 or 6 critical stop sounds.

I tried running ASO 3's junk file remover, registry cleaner and optimizer, and the built in file cleaner and went through all of the start up items which seem to be fine... just for the life of me cannot figure out why I am getting these critical stop sounds,

Everything seems to be working fine but is REALLY more annoying than anything.

I am running windows 7 (obviously)

Any ideas?

Thanks guys

A:Critical Error sounds when booting Windows 7?

Running registry optimizers and cleaners can cause unforeseen circumstances.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/302178/critical-error-sounds-when-booting-windows-7/
Relevancy 52.89%

Just this afternoon, I went to use my PC and got the following error; Windows has experienced a critical error and will restart in 1 minute.

Running Windows 7 64 bit....With automatic updates so it should be the latest version of Windows...

My anti virus (Avira 2012 Internet Suite) pops up and states I have 2 viruses. But before the AV can do anything (delete the files) Windows shuts down....I finally got into Safe Mode and tried running my AV, while it was scanning I then got a BSOD. Had to start all over again; Running MalwareBytes now before trying to do the AV scan, just to see if MalwareBytes catches anything.

I have uninstalled the only application I've installed in 3 months, and problem still persists...

I have a Hijackthis log if it needs to be viewed...Just let me know and I'll upload it.

A:Windows has a critical error and will reboot in 1 minute

when you get the 1 minute warning, try typing from the start menu "shutdown -a" or "shutdown /a", and the countdown should go away, and you should be able to remove the viruses.

Be sure to disable your system restore backups (delete them), or the viruses may come back. Re-enable them as soon as you are sure you have gotten rid of the viruses.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-has-a-critical-error-and-will-reboot-in-1-minute.1056453/
Relevancy 52.89%

Help! my laptop is only 4 months old, but around 2 weeks ago i keep getting the error message "windows has encountered a critical error and will automatically shut down in 1 minute". My laptop works when on safe mode but on normal mode, it encounters the abovementioned error message.

Around the same time that i have encountered this error, my McAfee anti-virus has been giving me the message that my computer is not protected. I always fix the error but everytime i restart the computer, the same message appears inspite of fixing it. As of this writing, i cannot use my laptop in the normal mode, as i get the abovementioned error message and the computer automatically shuts down.

my laptop, a Compaq Presario CQ50 has Windows Vista Home Premium. Is it an error connected to Windows Vista? McAfee? or has a virus or malware infected my computer?

Thank you.

A:windows has encountered a critical error and will shut down

Hi -

Yes, that message has its roots in Vista, but it is not Vista itself generating it. Some app in your system is causing the shutdown.exe command to be executed. If you are on a server, it may be the admin.

The shutdown command + McAfee going out tells me it probably is an infection of some type.

Given that your system is relatively new, I suggest that you re-install Vista and start fresh. Place the recovery Vista DVD in the drive or invoke the recovery partition (usually F10 key during boot-up) and re-install Vista. If you were to call Toshiba they would say the same.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-has-encountered-a-critical-error-and-will-shut-down-413652.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi - restarting error Critical & malware? Windows there I go a problem with quot Windows has encountered a serious problem and will restart in one minute quot Now my computer starts OK but I only get this error when turning the internet Windows Critical error & restarting - malware? on I have not installed any new soft or hardware lately My McAfee licence ran out last week typical Windows Critical error & restarting - malware? I got the AntiMalware Doctor virus but thought I managed to remove it with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware but after this is windows started to shut down and reboot This is what I ve tried I ve cleaned up with CClean ran Malwarebytes again and again ran Search amp Destroy system reboot safe mode windows defender McAfee virus seraches etc etcI have read the preparation part and attached the dds file However GMER freezes while running Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks a lot EirikHi again This remains a problem so if anyone could help or even point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated I got GMER to run in safe mode file attached now Thanks again EirikEDIT Posts merged BP

A:Windows Critical error & restarting - malware?

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. Please include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those we suggest while we are cleaning up your computer. The reason for this is so we know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process.Even if you have already provided information about your PC, we need a new log to see what has changed since you originally posted your problem.We need to create an OTL ReportPlease download OTL from one of the following mirrors:This is THE MirrorSave it to your desktop.Double click on the icon on your desktop.Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.In the custom scan box paste the following:CODEmsconfigsafebootminimalactivexdrivers32netsvcs%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe/md5starteventlog.dllscecli.dllnetlogon.dllcngaudit.dllsceclt.dllntelogon.dlllogevent.dlliaStor.sysnvstor.sysatapi.sysIdeChnDr.sysviasraid.sysAGP440.sysvaxscsi.sysnvatabus.sysviamraid.sysnvata.sysnvgts.sysiastorv.sysViPrt.syseNetHook.dllahcix86.sysKR10N.sysnvstor32.sysahcix86s.sysnvrd32.syssymmpi.sysadp3132.sysmv61xx.sysnvraid.sys/md5stop%systemroot%\*. /mp /s%systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles%systemroot%\Tasks\*.job /lockedfiles%systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.sys /lockedfiles%systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav%systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.sys /90Push the button.Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here:OTL.txt <-- Will be openedExtra.txt<--Will be minimizedIn the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see a button called Options. If you click on this in the drop-down menu you can choose Track this topic. I suggest you do this and select Immediate E-Mail notification and click on Proceed. This way you will be advised when we respond to your topic and facilitate the cleaning of your machine.After 5 days if a topic is not replied to we assume it has been abandoned and it is closed.regards myrti

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/339277/windows-critical-error-restarting-malware/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hey folks This is an error I've been getting for a while It's been intermittent for a long time and it slunk off again for about three weeks before returning with a vengeance and it hasn't stopped I am running Windows Vista Home Premium on Service Pack one Every time I boot up WMP it loads up and then I immediately get a Critical Error Windows Vista has encountered a critical error and will be shut down in one minute I've been cruising the web looking for kindred souls suffering the same problem and some of them seem to believe McAfee might be the problem I moved away to college this year and I'm sitting Critical Windows Error Player Media behind a mandatory proxy that requires McAfee be installed at all times via the Internet Access Agreement I have with the college so I can't get rid of it I've installed all updates I can find but nothing seems to put a dent in this error Does this mean I can never watch Pulp Fiction again Edit Yeah okay I can watch it in DivX but I'd still like to solve WMP

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-media-player-critical-error-350840.html