Windows Support Forum

Renaming Things in the Network Map

Q: Renaming Things in the Network Map

OK, I have looked for a bit now, and I just can't seem to figure out how to rename certain devices in my network map.

For instance, my Media Extender is named "unknown" and my switch is called "switch"...

Obviously my Computers are the PC names, and that part is fine...

This is a mere personal preference issue I realize, but I will be adding another swtch to my network soon, and another wireless access point this week, so I'd like to be able to easily distinguish all the devices...

My computers all run vista, so I'm not having the XP thing going on... everything is there.... I just want to rename.

I am sure I can rename these, but it just isn't coming to me on how to do it? Any ideas... I'm sure I'mm looking too deeply into this, its probably way too easy, so hopefully someone makes me feel stupid....

Thanks for reading

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/181148-renaming-things-network-map.html
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Renaming Things in the Network Map

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 62.78%

Trying to get a program FREEPDFXP to work the other day I arrived at point viewing the procedure below It came from a Eudora Help page My question however has to do not with getting FREEPDFXP working but with the reasons behind the instructions in the Help file Re Step If you rename those files how is whichever program that might need them going to find them Also re Step how does renaming a aren't when Renaming things working Files file correct a problem I ve run into this more than once I wish I could specify a particular problem where the solution says quot rename a file quot but I don t have one at the moment -------------------------------------- MAPI is not working Document ID HQ ISSUE MAPI doesn t Renaming Files when things aren't working work I can t install MAPI when I double click on the Renaming Files when things aren't working icon nothing happens If I set Eudora s MAPI options to always nothing happens SOLUTION You may have a few corrupt MAPI files on your computer Your best option is to rename the Windows MAPI dll files NOTE You might need to reinstall any programs you have that are currently using MAPI as Renaming Files when things aren't working well The first thing you need to do is close down all applications Search your hard drive for the following files and rename them mapi dll mapi dll Restart your computer Search your hard drive for the file swmapi exe Double click to install it Open Eudora go to Tools Options MAPI Set quot Use Eudora MAPI server Always quot Reinstall EIS and perform a HotSync NOTE If you cannot see your HotSync Conduit you will need to do the following Close all open windows search your hard drive for the file called win ini Open it and add the following lines MAIL mapi mapix Restart your computer and perform a HotSync again nbsp

Relevancy 53.32%

I would like to rename my home wireless network to one that distinguishes it from others on my street. Not only that but I get the sense that if other networks near mine are named the same that the will not be listed separately in the list of "Available Netorks".
I tried renaming the network connection from the control panel, but this seems to have only renamed the connection as it is seen by this computer. I also run a work laptop and I want to be sure I'm on my network & not someone elses.

A:Renaming Available Wireless Network??

What is the make and model of your wireless router/access point?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-available-wireless-network.745098/
Relevancy 52.89%

I renamed the wireless network (ESSID) of my router from one of my Windows XP PC's, and then found that my Windows 7 PC could no longer see any networks at all (there are several from neighbours in addition to mine).

Nothing seemed to help - Rebooting, uninstalling drivers for the wireless card, etc. Eventually I got it to work by giving the network card a fixed IP address, and the it could see all the networks again. I could then change it back to DHCP and it was still okay.

A:Solved: No connections available after renaming network

Static ip address is always smart way to go.

PC boots slightly faster too, although that's very minimal difference.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/35264-solved-no-connections-available-after-renaming-network.html
Relevancy 52.89%

How can you rename Network printer Icons? You can certainly do it in Windows95/98. We are running a Novell network and need to rename some of the network printer icons on WindowsXP computers.
Brian Jones

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-network-printer-icons.259794/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi guys,

Just installed W7 Home Basic today and not had a problem so far but i have a little annoyance that i hope i can fix.

Please see the attachment image where you see in ipconfig it says Wireless Network Connection 2, but in Network & Sharing Center it clearly says Wireless Network Connection.

At first i tried going through registry and finding anything that said Wireless Network Connection 2, and changed it to just Wireless Network Connection which seems to of partly worked as its now displayed right in the Network & Sharing Center but the actual network adapter when using ipconfig still shows 2, can i fix this?

Thanks guys.

A:Renaming a network connection? Problem

Have you gone to this place in the reg?

How can i rename my wireless network connection?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/61665-renaming-network-connection-problem.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Can any body tell me about the funny things which we can do over the network, i dont have administrator rights over the network , i only have the IP adress (LAN) of others. What kind of funny things that i can do from my system over others system .

Relevancy 45.58%

Ok I feel like I am having a quot groundhog day quot I had a quot non genuine windows xp home edition on my computer I bought a new one was told by more than one person that among network find things. other do and how What administrator. is I there was no need to delete program on machine already It was not working properly and I thought I should but hey what What is and how do I find network administrator. among other things. do I know So I put the new one on put all my programs back on and for a few days it was ok Then last night I get an error message saying there was some disc problems and I watched as the computer fixed itself When it booted back up I was back at square one and I had a bran new installation again No problem It was working very well and when I turned it off to connect a new program it came up bran new again This morning I put the window s disc in yet one more time and it wouldn t give me any options except upgrade I tried a couple of times to change it s mind sigh So now I have this message coming up quot Cannot load locally stored profile Possible causes include insufficient security or a corrupt local profile If problem persist s contact network administrator quot I have searched for an hour trying to figure out who that would be the network admin and I finally gave up and here I am Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated I am about to go back to reading books Susan nbsp

A:What is and how do I find network administrator. among other things.

Welcome to TSG....

Try this:

How to recover the damaged user profile in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555473/en-us

It is your computer so you are the admin. You also have admin rights in the account you are in and there is a separate admin account in the computer under safe mode.

Managing User Accounts = http://ittraining.iu.edu/workshops/win_security/manage.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-is-and-how-do-i-find-network-administrator-among-other-things.513900/
Relevancy 45.58%

Ok I ll start at the beginning This morning when I woke up I Both cannot certain things login computers to network my on logged into a game called Last Chaos that I have been playing about weeks This game has the worst connection to my computer out of anything in the entire Both computers on my network cannot login to certain things world The reason this is relevant to me is because I got disconnected and suddenly when I tried to login got quot Timed Out quot error every time Then I tried to login on www flvs net to do some school figuring that there might have been an issue with the login servers for the game and it said quot Unable to connect Firefox can t establish a connection to the server at vsa flvs net The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy Try again in a few moments If you are unable to load any pages check your computer s network connection If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web quot I still just brushed that off because I did not think I had a problem yet I restarted my router and modem and then tried to call someone because I had a phone appointment at PM Central time for school This is where I panic Internal Error on Skype it says I try again and it says no internet connection So I don t know what to do and I m missing school because of this Not only that but I m bored out of my skull without my mmo s Tell me what to do to fix this please nbsp

Relevancy 45.58%

Hello I have got a big problem with a PC SCENARIO Local area network with PC with Windows SP and server with WS SBS The Internet is provided by but (many without (LAN) with done) things Internet Computer network ethernet cable but the router gives Internet Computer with network but without Internet (LAN) (many things done) by WiFi Also there is a big switch to connect all the computers PROBLEM One PC without any reason lost the Internet connection but conservates Computer with network but without Internet (LAN) (many things done) the network access this PC see the shared folder other PCs etc Things done to solve it Plug and unplug the cable Renew the dns ipconfig release ipconfig renew Execute a professional antivirus AVAST it saw infections and they were removed Execute CCLeaner clean space clean registry many times Execute Malware Bytes delete one or two malware files Install new ethernet card same problem the machine has got network but no internet Update the ethernet driver Update the BIOS driver Remove many unneccesary applications Things to considered I plugged my laptop W with the cable and then Computer with network but without Internet (LAN) (many things done) laptop had got network and Internet I take the PC to bring it to my house and with a WiFI dongle had got good Internet connection but in the office the connection taked by the WiFI is really very slow Questions Could the router be the problem But the laptop connected without any problem with the same cable Thank you

A:Computer with network but without Internet (LAN) (many things done)

Have your checked the browser's proxy setting, see if it has been hijacked? Here's a quick guide to fix the setting.

Are you able to connect to the internet when booted to Safe Mode with Networking (restart the computer, continue tapping F8 and select this option)?

An update will be appreciated.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/342893-computer-network-but-without-internet-lan-many-things-done.html
Relevancy 45.58%

i was wondering if there are any browsers out there or any apps that let me choose a different gateway than the one my computer is apparently forcing my pc to use perhaps i should elaborate i am logged into a corporate network using novell workstation client via my ethernet interface i also have a wireless network that i use to test an application i am developing for web use when i wish to test my app i must unplug the ethernet cable from my laptop open firefox IE Opera and connect to the test site when i want to come back onto the corporate network i must plug the network cable back in and things XP 2 windows in for interfaces using different network pro run a script that re-authenticates me onto the novell network here i feel more and more stupid each time i do this i have tried a few half-hearted attempts like changing the default gateway on my ethernet interface to be the ip using 2 network interfaces for different things in windows XP pro of the wireless router testing on a second pc i guess is an option but using 2 network interfaces for different things in windows XP pro i d like to be able to copy paste error codes and that kinda thing as well as it seeming a bit of a waste tying up pc s for this i am assuming that novell windows doesn t like me trying to use another interface on a totally different domain for my internet connection if a browser exists that i could specify which connection to use i e defining connection at the app level i guess i d be in luck i could do this on the unix without too much difficulty but the ways of the windows are unknown to me i was even toying with using VMWARE for this virtualising an OS and then tying up the wifi for my second instance but come on there must be another way i think i am not seeing the forest for the trees here thanks in advance for your help alex nbsp

Relevancy 45.15%

Okay so Connection try!! to Running of things out Poor Network - in August I built my rig Win bit i k EVGA Geforce GTX gb ram Asrock z anniversary Gigabyte GC-WB D-I Wireless Adapter As far as I can tell all of my drivers are up to date Everybody else on my network gets between - mbps download and - upload wireless Poor Network Connection - Running out of things to try!! If I'm lucky I'll get mbps download and upload This makes it impossible to do anything really which is a problem since I'm a fulltime student and avid gamer I've dropped a lot of money into this rig for it work well The only issue is network connectivity Even when hardlined in directly to the modem I only pull mbps download tops I've tried two different wireless adapters both resulted in the same thing I'm starting to think its something to do with my motherboard since the issues still exist when using an Ethernet cable Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated If any more info is needed I'll do my best to provide

A:Poor Network Connection - Running out of things to try!!

Welcome to the forum. To get the full picture if you can do all our scans and post results www.crewetwon.co.uk/mini.htm they will give us info check for malware and reset some network setting to defaults

http://www.pchelpforum.com/pc-hardware/127117-poor-network-connection-running-out-things-try.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I just Sharing and open Network other Center won't (among things) set up my brand new CyberPower PC running Windows Home Premium and I m experiencing some weird problems Shortly after I set up file sharing with my laptop the Network and Sharing Center stopped opening When I click on the taskbar icon and select it the little taskbar window freezes If I select it from the quot Network quot window it freezes If I right-click quot Network quot and select quot Properties quot nothing happens This problem continues in safe mode when I m logged in as administrator and when I am disconnected from the Internet I also cannot Network and Sharing Center won't open (among other things) create a new user account window freezes except in safe mode or open the setup Network and Sharing Center won't open (among other things) file from my Windows disk nothing happens so I cannot perform an upgrade installation I cannot run a system restore because the computer Network and Sharing Center won't open (among other things) is brand new and there are no restore points from before these problems started I don t want to perform a clean install but it looks like that s my only option Any suggestions nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

Out of the blue one day my computer running Win decided it was going to stop connecting to my network Since then I ve tried a variety of things I ll outline below It s incredibly frustrating and I m at the limit of my knowledge around this and before taking it somewhere I m hopeful the community to to network tried wireless in things Need connect Unable help: various Win7; here can give me some guidance I m also not opposed to having to buy a new network card if that winds up being the ultimate solution Current situation Windows can see my wireless network as well as the others nearby However when connecting it is unable to establish a connection to it One oddity here is that it prompts me for the network password which I have not changed and even with putting that in it still can t connect Hardware Realtek RTL Wireless b g Mbps USB Network Adapter Also lists Need help: Unable to connect to wireless network in Win7; tried various things Marvell Yukon E PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller and a Marvell Yukon E PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Professional Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM Duo CPU E GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card ATI Radeon HD Series Need help: Unable to connect to wireless network in Win7; tried various things Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB F Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC P B-Deluxe Antivirus McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Updated and Enabled What I have tried Standard rebooting of PC router and cable modem Re-setting the router and setting the network up a second time Going into IPconfig it tells me that all the media are disconnected when I try to either release or renew the IP Tried to update the driver but the Realtek site guidance is awful and I m not sure that I actually did anything Guidance here would probably be helpful At this point I m at a total loss as to what to do and I really need to get this back up and running sooner rather than later so any help guidance advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Need help: Unable to connect to wireless network in Win7; tried various things

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-unable-to-connect-to-wireless-network-in-win7-tried-various-things.1048369/
Relevancy 44.29%

So I ve been having on and off issues with my computer for a while that became really bad after I set up my XBOX as an Extender a couple of weeks ago I have since undone that Windows Media Player started to regularly crash and I d noticed that every now and again my network adapter would just drop the connection seconds two things other irregularly adapter amongst for connection drops Network only to instantly reconnect Ran MBAM a few times over Network adapter irregularly drops connection for two seconds amongst other things and used eset s online scanner Spybot S amp D and MSE as well Network adapter irregularly drops connection for two seconds amongst other things Found a few win opencandy a couple of listings for boaxxe g trojan and BELIEVE I ve cleaned it out I should mention my MBAM is now the pro edition in an attempt to help with this So I ve cleaned out several infected files over the past few days and I just can t seem to fix this last bit and it s really starting to interfere in regular life Defogger has already been run Here s the DDS DDS Ver - - - NTFSAMD Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run by Drazhar at on - - Microsoft Windows Home Premium GMT - AV Lavasoft Ad-Watch Live Anti-Virus Enabled Updated FF - D -CE B- ECB-E A A AV Microsoft Security Essentials Enabled Updated EA - D C- DFB- - E E F F SP Windows Defender Disabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF SP Microsoft Security Essentials Enabled Updated C BB - B - - A - B A B B SP Lavasoft Ad-Watch Live Enabled Updated - EE-C E - B-DC BDD BAB Running Processes C Windows system wininit exe C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system nvvsvc exe C Program Files x NVIDIA Corporation D Vision nvSCPAPISvr exe C Windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS c Program Files Microsoft Security Client MsMpEng exe C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Program Files x Creative Shared Files CTAudSvc exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Windows system WUDFHost exe C Windows system WUDFHost exe C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation Display nvxdsync exe C Windows system nvvsvc exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Program Files x Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWService exe C Windows System spoolsv exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SASCORE EXE C Program Files x Common Files Adobe ARM armsvc exe C Windows SysWOW svchost exe -k Akamai C Program Files x ASUS AXSP atkexComSvc exe C Program Files x ASUS AAHM aaHMSvc exe C Windows system taskhost exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Program Files x ASUS AsSysCtrlService AsSysCtrlService exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files x EVGA Precision EVGAPrecision exe C Program Files x ASUS AI Suite II AsRoutineController exe C Program Files x ASUS AI Suite II DIGI Power Control PowerControlHelp exe C Program Files x ASUS AsusFanControlService AsusFanControlService exe C Program Files x ASUS AI Suite II USB Boost U BoostSvr exe C Program Files x ASUS AI Suite II TurboV EVO TurboVHelp exe C Windows system IProsetMonitor exe C Folding Home Windows SMP Client V smpd exe C Windows WindowsMobile wmdc exe C Program Files Microsoft LifeCam MSCamS exe C Windows System svchost exe -k HPZ C Program Files Logitech GamePanel Software LGDevAgt exe C Program Files Logitech GamePanel Software G-series Software LGDCore exe C Program Files Microsoft Xbox Accessories XBoxStat exe C Windows vVX exe C Program Files Logitech GamePanel Software LCD Manager lcdmon exe C Windows System igfxpers exe C Program Files Microsoft Security Client msseces exe C Windows System svchost exe -k HPZ C Windows SysWOW PnkBstrA exe C Windows system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Program Files x Steam Steam exe C Program Files x Windows Live ... Read more

A:Network adapter irregularly drops connection for two seconds amongst other things

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps.===Please download ComboFix from any of the links below, and save it to your desktop. For information regarding this download, please visit this web page: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofixLink 1Link 2* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your DesktopIMPORTANT....1. Close any open browsers.2. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.3. Do not install any other programs until this if fixed.How to : Disable Anti-virus and Firewall...http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.htmlDouble click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts. When finished, it will produce a report for you. Please post the C:\ComboFix.txt Note:Do not mouse click ComboFix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stallNote: If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link --> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.htmlNote: If after running ComboFix you get this error message "Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion." when attempting to run a program all you need to do is restart the computer to reset the registry.===Third party programs if not up to date can be the cause infiltration of an infection.Please run this security check for my review.Download Security Check by screen317 from here.Save it to your Desktop.Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.===Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your Desktop.Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.Click on Search.A logfile will automatically open after the scan has finished.Please post the content of that logfile in your reply.You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[Rn].txt as well - n is the order number.Please post the 3 logs for my review.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/464668/network-adapter-irregularly-drops-connection-for-two-seconds-amongst-other-things/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi
I've just jumped to Win8.1 from 7 and am trying to work out how to unclutter my windows explorer navigation pane.

The bit in question is the "This PC" - it used to just have my c:drive and other network drives, but now it has all these other network devices (security cameras, and sonos amps etc) plus also Desktop, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos folders (which are sort of duplicated under favourites).

Is there a setting somewhere to not show all these extra items, and just go back to showing my C:drive and mapped network drives?

Thanks loads for any help,
Far

A:Windows Explorer has loads of network things under "ThisPC

Hello Far, and welcome to Eight Forums.

The tutorial below can help show you how to remove the "Folders" from your "This PC" window.
This PC - Add or Remove "Folders" in Windows 8.1
Hope this helps some,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/35927-windows-explorer-has-loads-network-things-under-thispc.html
Relevancy 41.71%

I recently had a pretty badly infected computer that was sorted out over at the PCPitstop Forums see thread here http forums pcpitstop com index php show amp st Now that I am presumably clean I have some other issues During the repair to my system I was told to update my Java as well as uninstall old versions I got a few notices that I couldn t because of admin things but they uninstalled anyway it looked like but then when I tried to install the latest jre- u -windows-i exe it says quot The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation quot Thing is I am the only user and have full administrator access Doing some Can't or MSConfig (Admin things Install things in problems) change searching I found the trying the MSInstaller clean up utility could help but that give the Can't Install things or change things in MSConfig (Admin problems) same message when I try Can't Install things or change things in MSConfig (Admin problems) it Then I saw I could check msconfig to make sure it was running MSConfig shows it as Stopped but the box is checked next to it Trying to check and uncheck then apply it says quot An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service You may need to log on using an administrator account to make the specified changes quot I also tried to update iTunes today and it failed to install as well Some information Dell Inspiron E Windows XP Media Center Edition SP Running Trend Micro PC-Cillin SAS Ad-AwareI don t know if the cleaning messed up something or if I am still infected

A:Can't Install things or change things in MSConfig (Admin problems)

MSConfig shows it as Stopped, but the box is checked next to it. Trying to check and uncheck, then apply, it says "An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an administrator account to make the specified changes."Do you have an HP printer? The msconfig isssue can be caused by HP printers. If you do have an HP printer:Make your change in msconfig. When you get the error message, click OK.Another box may open, do the same thing, click OK.Everything will close out, you will be asked if you want to restart the computer.More information can be found here: http://www.pchell.com/support/msconfig_acc...ied_error.shtmlThere is a way to get rid of it, but it involves editing the registry.IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH EDITING THE REGISTRY, DON'T DO IT.You'll have to live with the message each time you use msconfig.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/247120/cant-install-things-or-change-things-in-msconfig-admin-problems/
Relevancy 41.28%

I have run Exact Audio Copy just fine for years A week ago it crashed my PC I ran SlimDrivers and updated a driver but no help I tried System Restore but it failed I downloaded the newest version of EAC still crashes when trying to open I eventually uninstalled it installed a newer version same result I run Windows windows version Windows Service Pack build windows dir C Windows Hardware HP Pavilion P Series Hewlett-Packard FOXCONN A CPU AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon II Memory are What slower, down? things is things OK, tests slowing but etc. X Processor AMD level logical processors active mask RAM total I also downloaded WhoCrashed after looking at a similar thread online I saved the last Windows error message The message was Problem signature Problem Event Name BlueScreen OS Version Locale ID Additional information about the problem BCCode BCP What is slowing things down? Memory tests OK, but things are slower, etc. BCP FFFFFA AEFB BCP BCP OS Version Service Pack Product Files that help describe the problem C Windows Minidump - - dmp C Users Doug AppData Local Temp WER- - sysdata xml Looks like the three listed on CrashDump report are the same so here is one Crash dump directory C Windows Minidump Crash dumps are enabled on your computer On Sat PM GMT your computer crashed crash dump file C Windows Minidump - - dmp This was probably caused by the following module ntoskrnl exe nt x C Bugcheck code x x xFFFFFA B E x x Error PROCESS HAS LOCKED PAGES file path C Windows system ntoskrnl exe product Microsoft Windows Operating System company Microsoft Corporation description NT Kernel amp System Bug check description This bug check indicates that a driver failed to release locked pages after an I O operation or that it attempted to unlock pages that were already unlocked The crash took place in the Windows kernel Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time I have tried System Restore two times before trying various malware virus programs and it failed both times with the same 'squiggly' compressed jagged color look when it happened with EAC And scheduled backup made it through once since then supposed to be twice weekly Scans that were normally pretty quick take much longer I have run MemTest and it found no errors I have run the Windows Memory Diagnostic several times I opened up the PC and cleaned the dust out and cleaned the fans I have had to do that before and thought maybe that would help cure it It runs much much quieter now Have run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware multiple times and scanned with my AVG and others The only thing one found was 'YouTube AdBlocker ' System Restore has no recent points remaining that would be worthwhile as the older two are over a year ago I can't really do much in Photoshop now due to the slow response hanging I have deleted the other software I tried so I wouldn't clutter things up more My hard drive is now about only half full I have an external one also I need to manually back up one last big folder to make sure it is REALLY current I changed the Visual Effects settings adjust for better performance based on a response to someone else with a similar problem and it speeds things up but can't see preview some things that way and would never want to keep it that way The PC is probably near years old and I had to replace a failed hard drive maybe years ago or so Folks I asked for advice recently who know more about computers say I may just need to buy a new one or it could be the motherboard or other things Windows START search pretty much does not kick in now Failed trying to update the BIOS via HP From some monitoring it looks like I have 'high avg interrupts processor' I was hoping to avoid a reinstall or a new PC but I realize that may be wishful thinking I'm no computer whiz but cloned the last hard drive and replaced it and have upgraded memory on an older PC HP Pavilion f I did run AdwCleaner tonight and cleaned what it found Things slowed down a LOT whil... Read more

A:What is slowing things down? Memory tests OK, but things are slower, etc.

Hi. . .You mentioned a BSOD with bugcheck 0x76, but I don't see any mini kernel memory dump files in the attached zip. Did you run an app similar to CCleaner that may have deleted the dumps?Systeminfo output shows Windows 7 installed (or system 1st boot) in October 2010:Original Install Date: 10/20/2010, 12:53:02 PMIt also shows 403 Windows Updates installed.I went through the Event Viewer logs and found 13 BSODs listed. The first one I saw - bugcheck 0xc4 - Driver Verifier/ VERIFIER_ENABLED -
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Event[2095]:
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting
Date: 2015-05-21T07:28:49.000
Level: Error
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.
The bugcheck was: 0x000000c4 (0x0000000000000083, 0x0000000018dbfc90, 0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000000118dbf). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\Minidump\052115-116735-01.dmp. Report Id: 052115-116735-01.
[/font]If you have these dumps or any info from tem, please post it. If Driver Verifier named a 3rd party driver, it needs to be updated. If Driver Verifier named a Microsoft Windows OS driver, "unknown hardware failure" is the likely cause. What exactly happened when you ran the BIOS update that failed?  Was there any additional info besides "BIOS update failed" (or similar)?  Is this the BIOS update you attempted? File sp49851.exe from May 2013?
Spoiler

H-RS880-uATX Motherboard BIOS UpdateVersion:6.09May 09, 2013Email 64-bit details HP's Terms of Use6.091.7 MBMay 9, 2013Download HP's Terms of UseDetailsDetailsH-RS880-uATX Motherboard BIOS update resolves an issue with resuming from sleep mode on systems configured with 4GB or more of memory.File name: sp49851.exeRelease detailsReleased: May 8, 2013Version 6.09Fix and enhancementsResolves an issue with resuming from sleep mode on systems configured with 4GB or more of memory.Switches certain BIOS settings from "Enabled" to "Disabled" to protect against undesired changes.Installs HP Vision Diagnostic tool, accessible by pressing F9 during the BIOS startup screen.http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-p6000-Desktop-PC-series/4162263/model/4215698No doubt that a BIOS update failure could be signaling something very serious occurring in your system.I see you tested RAM, but I didn't see the hard drive mentioned.Run SeaTools for DOS, LONG test - http://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/4072-hard-drive-hdd-diagnostics.htmlPlease download & install the free version of Speccy - https://www.piriform.com/speccy/downloadBe sure to watch out for additional, unnecessary and unrelated apps trying to be installed during installation. Simply un-check the boxes for them so they won't install.Run Speccy, "File", "Publish Snapshot" - copy the URL and paste it in to your next post.Download SysInternals AutoRuns from Microsoft TechNet - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902Extract the EXE file to Desktop or Documents (nothing to install; it's a stand-alone executable); RIGHT-click on autoruns.exe; "Run as Administrator"; allow it to scan the registry -- status located bottom-left of AutoRuns screen (few minutes tops); "File"; "Save As"; Save as an ARN file (default file extension)Please zip the ARN file up & attach to your next post.I doubt these new files will show us much more than you have already provided, but it's worth at least a cursory look.IMHO, 5 years is a very long time to go without reinstalling Windows. I would recommend that you start backing up your files in preparation for a Windows reinstall. A fresh install could end up breathing new life in your system &/or it may help figure out if hardware failure is in fact the cause of your BSODs.If a fresh Windows install BSODs before you've had a chance to install anything else, it is extremely likely that hardware failure is at fault.Regards. . .jcgriff2

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/577547/what-is-slowing-things-down-memory-tests-ok-but-things-are-slower-etc/
Relevancy 40.42%

nothing works CAN YOU JUST HURRY UP AND REPLY I NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM AS AP CAN YOU JUST HURRY UP AND REPLY I NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM AS AP CAN YOU wetrid shappen cant any things things download JUST HURRY UP AND REPLY I NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM AS AP CAN YOU JUST HURRY UP AND REPLY I NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM AS AP CAN YOU JUST HURRY UP AND REPLY I NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM AS AP CAN YOU JUST HURRY UP AND REPLY I NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM AS AP CAN YOU JUST HURRY UP AND REPLY I NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM AS AP CAN YOU JUST HURRY UP AND REPLY I NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM AS AP CAN YOU JUST HURRY UP AND REPLY I NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM AS AP CAN YOU JUST HURRY UP AND REPLY I NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM AS AP CAN YOU JUST HURRY UP AND cant download any things wetrid things shappen REPLY I NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM AS AP CAN YOU JUST HURRY UP AND REPLY I NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM AS AP CAN YOU JUST HURRY UP AND REPLY I NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM AS AP CAN YOU JUST HURRY UP AND REPLY I NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM AS AP CAN YOU JUST HURRY UP AND REPLY I NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM AS AP CAN YOU JUST HURRY UP AND REPLY I NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM AS AP CAN YOU JUST HURRY UP AND REPLY I NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM AS AP CAN YOU JUST HURRY UP AND REPLY I NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM AS AP CAN YOU JUST HURRY UP AND REPLY I NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM AS AP CAN YOU JUST HURRY UP AND REPLY I NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM AS AP CAN YOU JUST HURRY UP AND REPLY I NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM AS AP

A:cant download any things wetrid things shappen

can any body help

THIS IS URGENT PLEASE HELP!!!!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/607138/cant-download-any-things-wetrid-things-shappen/
Relevancy 40.42%

I have a dell computer. I have windows XP. I am the admistrator person for my computer but somehow i have accidently tampered with my settings and cant get them back to normal so i can updrade my windows update and such. I want to use my windows media player but for some reason i cant. Anyway what i mostly want to do is update my windows update but i cant seem to do it. How do i get my settings back to normal? I think i deleted a bunch of important things. oops! Also how do i put my settings back so it proves that i am the admistrater for my computer im pretty stupid

A:Ive been accidently deleting things and trying to upgrade certain things

What type of issue do you have with Windows update and Windows Media Player? Any error messages?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ive-been-accidently-deleting-things-and-trying-to-upgrade-certain-things.230761/
Relevancy 40.42%

Guys,I am going to build a gaming pc which components will used items.Can u tell me which things should i recall in my mind while buying used HDD,GPU,PROCESSOR,MOTHERBOARD,RAM,DVD DRIVE,PSU etc
What i figure out what ever i buy it must have warranty.Any advice is very needed.Thanksssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

A:What things i should keep in mind when buying 2nd hand things???

1. Make sure they work and are compatible with the OS. You can check Windows Compatibility Center. (Win8)
2. Check to see if current drivers are available for the GPU.
3. See if updates are available for the Motherboard BIOS and chipset (INF files).
4. Make sure the memory modules are compatible with the Motherboard. (Speed, type, voltage, etc.)
5. Replace the Motherboard battery.
6. Verify that the PSU will support your hardware.

Good luck!

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/279569-what-things-i-should-keep-mind-when-buying-2nd-hand-things.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Guys,I am going to build a gaming pc which components will used items.Can u tell me which things should I recall in my mind while buying used HDD,GPU,PROCESSOR,MOTHERBOARD,RAM,DVD DRIVE,PSU etc
What I figure out what ever I buy it must have warranty.Any advice is very needed.Thanks

A:What things I should keep in mind when buying used things?

Suppose the answer changes based on who you are buying from. A lot of these things either work or they don't...

HDD - you could use something like Crystal Disk Info and hope everything shows up green. Or run a Long DST with Seatools (will take 5+ hours on large disks)
GPU - Visually inspect that it is clean, if possible have them run some benchmarks on it and monitor the temperature to make sure its reasonable and there is not artifacting or crashing happening.
Processor - If its less than 7 years old and hasn't been heavily overclocked it has an extremely high chance of being fine.
Motherboard - This is probably fine too if it is shown to work at all, check the caps to see none are bulging or leaking.
RAM - Nothing quick you can do here, ask them if it has passed multiple passes of memtest, you could have them show you, but it will take at least overnight before you get a real answer.
DVD Drive - if it burns disks and reads its fine. If it dies on you, not much you can do, things are like $16 new anyway, don't put a lot of thought into this.
PSU - just find out what one it is and google if it is any good. This really depends on how demanding your system is.

Basically you just have to have a little faith in who you are buying from and ask them if something doesn't work right away if you can return it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-things-i-should-keep-in-mind-when-buying-used-things.190097/
Relevancy 39.13%

Greetings Usually my PC is Clean I m very cooncerned about everyday s treats and how to combat them Also I am very carelful with what I download The last week my aunt inserted a pen drive without my permission and mi anti-virus alerted Now my PC is low is sending odd fake youtube URLs to my Msn buddies and also is opening an odd precess named quot zandef quot or something like that Please help me to destroy everything bad in this filthy PC because I use it to work and importatnt things thanks Edit Forgot to say this When my PC starts a message telling me that explorer exe must close appears when I click accept it closes explorer and start it again only to show again the same message what I more and things malware Spam-bot Odd to things, do. do to work in Odd things, Spam-bot and more malware things to do. the pc is ignoring this message This is my HijackThis log Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved Odd things, Spam-bot and more malware things to do. at p m on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Archivos de programa Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Archivos de programa Java jre bin jusched exe C WINDOWS explorer exe C ARCHIV AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C Archivos de programa Java jre bin jqs exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C ARCHIV AVG AVG avgemc exe C ARCHIV AVG AVG avgrsx exe C ARCHIV AVG AVG avgnsx exe C Archivos de programa AVG AVG avgcsrvx exe C WINDOWS system wbem wmiapsrv exe C Archivos de programa Archivos comunes fbas gf zindef exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Archivos de programa Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Archivos de programa Windows Live Messenger msnmsgr exe C Archivos de programa Windows Live Messenger usnsvc exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Archivos de programa AVG AVG avgtray exe C WINDOWS system msiexec exe C Program Files HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www google co ve R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName V nculos O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Archivos de programa Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO WormRadar com IESiteBlocker NavFilter - CA F - F E- B -A E- E E C C - C Archivos de programa AVG AVG avgssie dll O - BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - - F - D - - D F - C Archivos de programa Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Archivos de programa Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - BHO Windows Live Aplicaci n auxiliar de inicio de sesi n - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Archivos de programa Archivos comunes Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Archivos de programa Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - E E F - CE- C -BC -EABFE F C - C Archivos de programa Java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll O - HKLM Run Cmaudio RunDll cmicnfg cpl CMICtrlWnd O - HKLM Run HPDJ Taskbar Utility C WINDOWS system spool drivers w x hpztsb exe O - HKLM Run C-Media Speaker Configuration E Sound C-Media WinXP Setup exe SPEAKER O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Archivos de programa Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run AVG TRAY C ARCHIV AVG AVG avgtray exe O -... Read more

A:Odd things, Spam-bot and more malware things to do.

Bump, my Hijackthis log was incomplete :S

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/odd-things-spam-bot-and-more-malware-things-to-do.854944/
Relevancy 39.13%

I installed W8CP on an old notebook and gave it to my 13 year old daughter..
She loves it!

One thing: we noticed www.wizard101.com works fine in the normal
IE on the desktop, but does NOT work with the metro IE.. Not sure why..

Is there any way to get wizard101 working and pinnable?

EDIT: also, how do you see a history of links in metro IE?
In regular IE you click and hold the backbutton.. but
holding the backbutton in metro IE seems to do nothing..

?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/4648-some-things-work-metro-ie-some-things-do-not.html
Relevancy 37.84%

The title pretty much says it all, just today my laptop has been acting really weird and I noticed someone tried to install a keylogger on my laptop but I can't delete the setup for it or even move it to a different folder. A box pops up telling me "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I even tried enabling my built in administrator account to delete it from that still wouldn't budge though. My anti virus doesn't seem too bothered by it but I don't want it there! lol please help -_- I am running Windows 7 home premium, pretty much brand new dell xps 15z.

A:Can't delete things also told I don't have permission to delete things on an admin account

Hello,And welcome to BleepingComputer.com, before we can assist you with your question of: Am I infected? You will need to perform the following tasks and post the logs of each if you can.Malwarebytes Anti-MalwareNOTEMalwarebytes is now offering a free trial of their program, if you want to accept it you will need to enter some billing information, so that at the end of the trial you would be charged the cost of the product. Please decline this offer, if you are unable to provide billing information. If you want to try it out, then provide the billing information.Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.Download Link 1Download Link 2MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.Make sure you are connected to the Internet.Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:Update Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareLaunch Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareThen click Finish.MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.On the Scanner tab:Make sure the "Perform Full Scan" option is selected.Then click on the Scan button.If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.Back at the main Scanner screen:Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.Exit MBAM when done.Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.SUPERAntiSpyware:Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware FreeDouble-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.If it will not start, go to Start > All Prgrams > SUPERAntiSpyware and click on Alternate Start.If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)In the Main Menu, click the ... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/449085/cant-delete-things-also-told-i-dont-have-permission-to-delete-things-on-an-admin-account/
Relevancy 36.55%

Shawn You brought me to Windows Forums by telling me how to very simply do Renaming something scores of others insisted could not be done Windows Explorer Auto Arrange - Disable I Renaming have another simple question that all the responders here say quot it can't be done quot despite my having been able to do it for over a year now The problem is it has recently stopped doing it I have been able to retain the original sequencing numerical or alphabetical when I do multiple renames within a folder since shifting to Windows That capacity has stopped recently and I don't know why or how to restore it I've addressed this to you because ALL the responders here have told me that what I have been doing for a year now cannot be done They Renaming will obviously be of no use in helping me to restore something now gone missing when they wrongly insist it doesn't exist Can you help Hartlyn Continued from renaming files Renaming - Vista Forums

A:Renaming

Hello Hartlyn,

You might see if doing a system restore using a restore point (if available) dated when you were able to do it to see if you may still be able to afterwards.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/157325-renaming.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I came across a list of neat applications at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com & one I want to use is for renaming the computer (#109 on the list http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm). I'm wondering if there will be any unintended consequences. It's a Dell Dimension E521 running on preloaded Windows XP Home SP2 (I've made a back-up via Norton360), and I have full Administrator rights.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

A:Renaming A Computer

it may cause prblms,mostly when ur pc is a member of a network domain.

for safety create a new administrator account after renaming before restart.it can help u in case of any problems

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/renaming-a-computer-197668.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I have a user who uses a laptop at home to VPN into the network so he can work from home. Everything works fine until he tries to rename a file. His computer gives him the error basically saying he is using invalid characters. He has tried to rename it very simple names (1, test, etc.). He can create folders and copy files into them and delete them but he just can't rename them. As soon as he gets back into the office he is able to rename folders and files using the exact same username and password he is using from home. Any ideas why he can't rename files and folders over the VPN?

Andrew

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/renaming-files-over-vpn-460284.html
Relevancy 36.12%

When I rename a file in XP, right click - rename
the extension doesn't change.

i.e. renaming test.text to be .dat becomes test.dat.txt

How can I quickly change the entire name and extension ?
I have been going to DOS to rename it.

A:renaming files in XP

do you have on a right click the option to "open with"? If so...choose .dat association

If not... highlight & then hold down the shift key down & right click & choose "open with"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-files-in-xp.65347/
Relevancy 36.12%

I've renamed my photos and now some of them are not pictured as they should be. I've deleted the Thumbs file, and refreshed, but I still have jumbled up pictures. What else can I do?

A:Renaming Photos

Do you have a backup of these pictures like on DVD's or another hard drive?

If you do just delete these and restore the backup to the directory they came from which should be the one you just deleted.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-photos.662626/
Relevancy 36.12%

I would like to know of a program that would let me remove the current name of files in a folder and replace the original filename with a number that represents how many files there are (goes up by one for each file). What's an app I can use that'll do this and how do I do this using that app?

Thanks in advance,

HexStar

Relevancy 36.12%

Greetings, I'm looking for a way to rename files via windows right click shell, a hidden windows setting or power toy, that will allow me to rename two files that already have identical names, but different file extensions, to a new but still identical name, without windows adding in an incremental number in parenthesis to the second file. I know I can just manually remove the added tag by hand however I have about 18,000 files to rename and am trying to cut down the amount of time it takes to do this. For example if I have two files, one is named thisdamnsong.cdg and one is named thisdamnsong.mp3 and I want to change them to thissong.cdg and thissong.mp3 without windows causing thissong (1).mp3 to occur. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Renaming files

Best freeware I have found so far,

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-files.860264/
Relevancy 36.12%

When I rename multiple files which are already organized by number or alphabetical order...that previous order is lost. The files though renamed, are assigned a new and random oder. How can I retain the previous sequencing when renaming multiple files?
Hartlyn

A:renaming files

You can't unless you rename them individually. The Explorer will always append a number to your name when you rename several in one strike.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/289293-renaming-files.html
Relevancy 36.12%

i have donwloaded some poloyphonic ringtones but there are in mo3 format they need be renamed to midi. files but how do i do that.

i know this might sound silly how can mp3 files be a poloyphonic ringtone, but they can becuase the mp3 file sounds exactly how it would sound as a midi file if yu know wht i mean.

but i cant send them to my phone in tht format i need to rename them some how to midi

and ideas on other aproachees or how do i do this?
i can convert the mp3's to wav if that helps any one ?

A:renaming wav to midi?

there are many converters out there, you may have to pay.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-wav-to-midi.377041/
Relevancy 36.12%

hi,

I have just installed a new harddrive and XP onto that harddrive. However the names of the drives have become mixed up - The drive on which the OS is installed is now e:\ and my spare drive is c:\

Is there anyway to change this? Will it have problems for programs who paths read e/c?

Relevancy 36.12%

Can any one help me? I try to rename my files/folders and upon typing in the new name I hit enter and the new file name won't appear until after I either close the window and re-open it or I refresh the window. Same thing happens when I right click and create a new folder, the folder won't appear until I refresh and then I name it and have to refresh yet again. This is getting quite annoying.

I don't know if it's a program that I have, a registry key that's corrupt or what. I seem to remember this starting after my computer did it's Automatic Updates, but I don't want to remove the wrong updates/programs/registry keys and mess up my computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

John

A:Renaming Files Don't Appear Right Away

Try going here and downloading and running this scan see if it fixes it the problem -- If not, tell me... I'll try looking into it too.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-files-dont-appear-right-away.640396/
Relevancy 36.12%

Another question....

I intalled a scavanged hard drive with 2 partions on it on a Compaq Deskpro, P1,.....trouble...I know the hard drive is ok and I know the computer is ok (the hard drive I replaced failed)....but...

Having some trouble and believe I need to rename the drives..??

I can't locate the cd (it worked fine before and shows up when I power up with the boot dosk "w/ cdrom support"....it doesn't appear in My Computer (or on Device Manager), and only one of the hard drive partitions appears......the only drives shown are "C" and "A"............there ought to at least be 2 HD drives.......and of course, the CD drive.........

also...."fdisk/status"..has 3 drives listed and "c" and "D" are the hard drive....
does this make sense?..

thanks!!

A:renaming drives...

Are the missing partitions (Drives) formatted? fdisk will show unformatted partitions, but Windows will not.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-drives.170312/
Relevancy 36.12%

any software to rename cd title? cause i asked my friend to burn a few cd for me, n he put in some silly name... any software tat is free recomended????

cheers

Relevancy 36.12%

I was wondering if it's possible to rename a device from what the driver used to install provided. My monitor driver works for 4 models, so whenever it appears in "Devices and Printers" or "Device Manager," it's named a series of model numbers rather than just the one that it actually is. ie. I have a SyncMaster 931BW but it's called "SyncMaster 931BW/906BW/931CW , SyncMaster Magic CX931BW (Digital)"

I already managed to rename my printer with no trouble, but there are a few other things I wouldn't mind renaming as well.

A:Renaming devices

You can change the name text in the '[Strings]' section of the .INF file included with the driver (edit it with Notepad), then run the setup.exe. Windows will then display that name in "Devices and Printers" and "Device Manager".

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-devices.886739/
Relevancy 36.12%

It's a long story how this happened, but unless you need the info I'll skip right to the immediate problem. My DVD drive is now shown as "DVD RW Drive (G) Floppy" in the "Computer" window. Is it possible to change the drive name to get rid of the "Floppy" I accidently added during the initial setup? I can't seem to find a way.

A:Renaming DVD ROM drive

Quote: Originally Posted by snit3

It's a long story how this happened, but unless you need the info I'll skip right to the immediate problem. My DVD drive is now shown as "DVD RW Drive (G) Floppy" in the "Computer" window. Is it possible to change the drive name to get rid of the "Floppy" I accidently added during the initial setup? I can't seem to find a way.

You could try uninstalling the drive from the Device Manager. Then reboot the computer - Windows will re-detect it and may give it the default name/description.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/54182-renaming-dvd-rom-drive.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I installed Windows 7(32bit) yesterday as my previous windows 7 had got corrupted. But i noticed a strange thing. All the partion's name got changed to Local Disk. I tried renaming them but failed. Whenever i rename them, they get changed to Local Disk Except C: which is the boot drive. But the name is changed accordingly in the Disk management. Here is the screenie !!

A:Help renaming my HD partions !!!

You could run this to make sure this version isnt corrupted - right click command prompt, and select - run as administrator - type this in, and hit enter - SFC /scannow

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/54855-help-renaming-my-hd-partions.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I have a whole bunch of files (mp3 mostly) that I need to rename. I know you're probably already thinking a tagging software, but this is different. I'm not sure if there is software that does this, but I need to rename all the files to according to date or size or number... Example... I need it to look something like this:

"MP301.mp3
MP302.mp3
MP303.mp3"

And so on...
Is there any way I can do this without having to rename every single one? There are hundreds of them. And I need to do the same thing with jpeg files, but I assume it'd be the same way as the mp3s.

Thanks for reading.

A:File renaming.

can you not do it using windows explorer by selecting all the files at once and clicking rename and the renaming the first one like MP3 and then windows should rename them all in order like MP3 (1) MP3 (2) MP3 (3) etc

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/file-renaming-91777.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I just bought a new Win7 computer. Had a heck of a time logging into it from my other computers.

Finally got on.

Found my username was DougsDell.......-PC\Doug's Dell.......580

Can I change both names DougsDell.......-PC and Doug's Dell.......580. Want to simplify things.

Also, do I have to have a password to log in to the computer itself? It's just my family here and don't want to go through logging a password in each time I turn on the computer.

And lastly, do I have to have a password for the first time each day I get on to one computers files through the other one. When I click on a folder on another networked computer it makes me log in with user name a password. I'd like to eliminate that.

A:Renaming My Computer

The links below should help.

Computer Name - View and Change

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/128795-renaming-my-computer.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Sorry, not sure if this is a hardware or software related issue, so please move if in wrong place.

Hi, I have recently installed a new HDD and fresh version of Windows XP.

Everything is ok, except that my HDD is named drive I: as opposed to C:. I'm sure it's not a problem but it's bothering me and I'm just wondering if anyone can advise me on how to solve thi small but niggling issue?

Cheers!

Relevancy 36.12%

My OS is Windows XP SP I have Seagate Barracuda HDDs- one of GB with my OS partitions renaming in partition C and the other of GB in master-slave configuration The Gb HDD has four partitions named C D E E and F F while the GB HDD has three partitions namely D G J Y and K Z I also have one DVD ROM named J and a CD ROM renaming partitions named K The problem started renaming partitions when I added the second HDD as I was running out of space My problem is I cannot rename through Computer Management gt Disk Management the partitions E E as E and F F as F Ditto the other partitions in the GB HDD Previously I had some confedential datas in the partition F hidden by the software quot fhide quot Now when i try to open the files in the drive F fhide gives a message quot Failed to unhide this folder Perhaps the folder was renamed or did not exist in the disk F quot I know my files are there in the old partition F because it is a huge file of almost GB and there is not any files folders saved in F at this moment Will anybody please help because I NEED to retrieve my data in the partition F nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-partitions.626547/
Relevancy 36.12%

How do I rename a .tar filt to a .tgz file. The file has been zipped via winzip when I unzip I get several folders full of files. I am trying to do a manual firmware update for my stupid literati ereader.

A:file renaming

You don't just rename a .tar (Tape ARchive) to a .tgz (Tape archive GZipped), they are different formats.
You can convert one to the other, but both are used, typically, in the UNIX world. There are Windows and Mac programs that can handle both formats. But neither format is popular in the Windows or Mac worlds.

As for unzipping, it really all depends upon what you have put into the .tar or .tgz file to begin with as to what it gets re-constituted as. If it is just one file, or a collection of files from one directory, then you should not get more than one folders result. If it was some construct of a combination of folders, then the result may be the same construct of folders when unzipped.

I say MAY BE because some unzipping programs give you an option to get all the files back into the original construct, or you can override that and get all the files back in just one folder (you just better have unique file names, otherwise some files may get overwritten).

If all you want to do is replace a file or two, within the single compressed (.tar, .tgz, .zip .whatever) then some compression programs may give you that ability as well. Look into the features of your compression program.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-renaming.976318/
Relevancy 36.12%

Here we go again, another issue that shouldn't even be possible. If you have multiple video or image files in a folder and they have different formats, i.e wmv mov mpg try to rename them all to one name. Guess what... a huge jumbled mess. A whole bunch of files with the same name. Why would windows rename like this it never use to before? Its either a bad setting or a horrible idea by Microsoft please help me fix this if possible. thanks

A:Renaming Shenanigans

Those file names are valid because they have different extensions (your extensions are hidden).

Search for "Folder Options" and under the "View" tab you can change the settings (uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types").

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/47483-renaming-shenanigans.html
Relevancy 36.12%

i have a bunch of directories, each one contains exactly 1 jpg file, What I would like to do is to rename all the files cover.jpg, but when I do search on *.jpg and try to rename, it renames every file to cover(1).jpg

Is there a way I can rename the files without tedious folder-by-folder renaming?

A:file renaming help?

Are the directories all in the same tree? If they all descend from the same folder open a command prompt in that folder. For example if they are all under C:\top open a command prompt in c:\top then enter this command
For /R %s in (*.jpg) do ren %s cover.jpg

and hit enter.

Edit: It should work as long as there is only one .jpg in each folder. (I hope.)

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/53537-file-renaming-help.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I just had to reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

I have two hard drives and two burners.

When I click on burners to rename, there is NO option to rename. I have never seen this before.

I have two hard drives and each is partitioned into 3 partitions.
The main drive (with OS) gives the option to rename but does NOT actually rename the drive.
The secondary hard drive does NOT even give the option to rename.

I have done this for years and have never had this come up. Does anyone have any ideas???

A:Renaming Drives

Try Cannot Rename Hard Disks

I don't know about burners, never seen them being renamed.

Restart to see if names stick, have heard before that they may default after a restart.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/374137-renaming-drives.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi Im wondering if there is any kind of guide on renaming code .bat how to write the script for bat scripts I have a bat script which i haven t made and want to further improve it I can t post it here though Anyway if there is any guide or something on making such scripts what s what like there is w schools com for learning other types of scripting If there isn t any such guide then could anyone here help me with .bat renaming code what im trying to improve A part of the script takes the file that s run through it and renames it It takes fn The file quot fn quot Filename and spits it back out quot Moretext fn quot Like if the filename is quot Image JPG quot it ll come back out quot Summer Image JPG quot But what i want it to do is to come out just quot Summer JPG quot In other words to remove the quot Image quot in the process too Even though i can t post the script itself here i can post the small bit of it which names the output file Code -o quot Finished Images Summer fn jpg quot It also has to be in a way that it can rename any filename not just quot Image JPG quot but also for instance quot Image JPG quot I hope somebody understands my explanation Thank you in advance for any replies nbsp

Relevancy 36.12%

Win2000; when in windows explorer, I cannot rename my CD-ROM. Now it says "CF (F)". I want it to say "Compact Disk (F)" or "CD (F)". I right click on the drive but "rename" is not an option given. Thanks
Rob

A:Renaming of CD Drives

try it from "my computer"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-of-cd-drives.135558/
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi new here so sorry if I'm doing this wrong Have a small problem with a reported rootkit on my machine Every time I remove it another one appears with a different name Please can someone tell me if Rootkit keeps on that renaming itself. it's nothing or a nasty bug Have attached the requested zip file and pasted the dds below DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by Merv at on Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Microsoft Windows XP Rootkit that keeps on renaming itself. Home Edition GMT AV AVG Internet Security On-access scanning enabled Updated FW AVG Firewall enabled Running Processes C WINDOWS system svchost -k Rootkit that keeps on renaming itself. DcomLaunch C WINDOWS system svchost -k rpcss C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcs C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k WudfServiceGroup C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k NetworkService C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k LocalService C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgfws exe C Program Files TOSHIBA ConfigFree CFSvcs exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXE C PROGRA AVG AVG avgam exe C Program Files Microsoft SQL Server MSSQL MICROSOFTBCM Binn sqlservr exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgrsx exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgnsx exe C Program Files Macrium Reflect ReflectService exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k imgsvc C WINDOWS system SearchIndexer exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgemc exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgcsrvx exe C WINDOWS System alg exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe C Program Files Apoint K Apoint exe C WINDOWS AGRSMMSG exe C WINDOWS system TCtrlIOHook exe C Program Files TOSHIBA ConfigFree NDSTray exe C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exe C WINDOWS system TPSBattM exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgtray exe C Program Files Toshiba Rootkit that keeps on renaming itself. TOSHIBA Controls TFncKy exe C Program Files Apoint K Apntex exe C Program Files Common Files Nokia MPlatform NokiaMServer exe C WINDOWS system wbem wmiprvse exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TOSCDSPD toscdspd exe C CrystalDiskInfo DiskInfo exe C Program Files Stardock CursorFX CursorFX exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X E FATIBVE EXE C Program Files DAEMON Tools Lite daemon exe F dds com Pseudo HJT Report uURLSearchHooks Yahoo Toolbar ef bd -c fb- d - f- d f - c program files yahoo companion installs cpn yt dll BHO Yahoo Toolbar Helper d -c f - efb- b - eca - c program files yahoo companion installs cpn yt dll BHO Adobe PDF Link Helper df c-e ad- -a -fa c ebdc - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelperShim dll BHO KeyScramblerBHO Class b f - a - - e -c b bc e - c program files keyscrambler KeyScramblerIE dll BHO AVG Safe Search ca f - f e- b -a e- e e c c - c program files avg avg avgssie dll BHO DriveLetterAccess ca d e- - cf- e - - c windows system dla tfswshx dll BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper bb-d f - c-b eb-d daf d d - c program files java jre bin ssv dll BHO E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - No File BHO AVG Security Toolbar a a -bacc- d - - a e e - c progra avg avg AVGTOO DLL BHO FDMIECookiesBHO Class cc e f - e - fa- faa- bf - c program files free download manager iefdm dll BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper dbc -a - b-bc - c c c a - c program files java jre bin jp ssv dll BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class e e f - ce- c -bc -eabfe f c - c program files java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll TB Yahoo Toolbar ef bd -c fb- d - f- d f - c program files yahoo companion installs cpn yt dll TB AVG Security Toolbar a a -bacc- d - - a e e - c progra avg avg AVGTOO DLL TB B EAC - D - B E- B -A C A A - No File uRun TOSCDSPD c program files toshiba toscdspd toscdspd exe uRun CrystalDiskInfo quot c crystaldiskinfo DiskInfo exe quot Startup uRun Free Download Manager c program files free download manager fdm exe -autorun uRun CursorFX quot c program files stardock cursorfx CursorFX exe quot uRun ctfmon exe c windows system ctfmon exe uRun EPSON Stylus DX Series c... Read more

A:Rootkit that keeps on renaming itself.

Hello -

AVG is reacting to one of your DAEMON Tools drivers. Ignore it, and try to teach AVG to leave it alone. You may want to upload a sample to AVG.

Uninstall the following via the Add/Remove Panel (Start->(Settings)->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs) if they exist:

Java(TM) 6 Update 7

This is outdated, and a security risk by having it installed still. Unfortunately, Java does not uninstall these older versions when you update, nor tell you that you should. Going forward, Java will overwrite existing installs, so removing older versions should not be required after this.

Leave Java(TM) 6 Update 11 alone, as it is the most recent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other than that, your logs appear clean.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/rootkit-that-keeps-on-renaming-itself-340477.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I've copied my itunes folder to an external drive as a backup now want to change the folder name but am not allowed .I am the administrator & permissions are set to full control . What do I need to do?

I have Vista home premium

Try this. http://paulstamatiou.com/2007/02/09/how-to...sta-permissions

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/229736/renaming-files/
Relevancy 36.12%

Hello.

Here is an easy way to add "Rename" to the right click context menu of the XP recycle bin.

Open Notepad.
Paste in the code below---
[codebox]Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\ShellFolder]
"Attributes"=hex:70,10,00,20
"CallForAttributes"=dword:00000000[/codebox]

"Save As" say "recycler.reg".

Save to Desktop for easy access.
Right click it & choose "Merge".
Reboot.
Right click Recycle Bin & see "Rename" as an option.
Rename it to what you wish.

You can change the icon too.
That is simple.

Not worth going into.

Maybe someone else will expand on that subject.

I hope this helps someone.

~~~~~~~~~~ David Still homeless & looking for help....

A:About Renaming Recycle Bin

Warning: This is a registry edit and it is not advised for beginners, and it is advisable to backup your registry before attempting this.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/116240/about-renaming-recycle-bin/
Relevancy 36.12%

hi every time i try to rename a folder a message quot folder does not exist quot comes up i posted the same problem a few months back i tried the different methods i was directed to follow through this website but i have failed in doing so what actually intrigues me is as to how come i have so many groups in my pc this is how need folder renaming help i came to know i right clicked new folder went to properties then security where i have three groups named system administrator and third has my name gulalai all of these have full permissions i dont know if its ok to have groups secondly whats the need of having so many why cant i just run my laptop as administrator and last but not the least how can i sort out this problem of renaming my folders the specifications of my laptop are sony vaio need help renaming folder genuine Intel need help renaming folder reg cpu GHz MB bit operating system window edition window vista ultimate

A:need help renaming folder

I have the same amount of groups, that's normalwhy cant i just run my laptop as administrator..This is probably why you cannot do anything with the folderTry creating a new account with administrator privileges

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/217330/need-help-renaming-folder/
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi ppl, just wondering if anyone know if itz possible to remove a part of a file name from multiple files. a while ago i transfered all my mp3s to my ipod, but when i put them back on to my computer i placed a 00 - in front off all my songs... as u can see in the attachment pic. so all i want to know is, is there a way to remove the 00 - from each file in one go other then doin it for each file.. (theres roughly 700files (ive done 700 the slow way))
thankx

A:Mass Renaming!!!

I use Lupas Rename. It'll do the job easily. There are many more free ones out there.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/lupasrename.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mass-renaming.450943/
Relevancy 36.12%

i have the new Zen vision M VERY COOL i also have over songs there Songs Renaming allot of songs by many different artists DUH there are also groups of or Renaming Songs songs by the same artist in that group there are a lot of songs that say quot cent featuring young buck quot then another song might say that the artist is quot cent featuring eminem quot or something like that this is a problem for me because when i loaded the whole library of songs on to the Zen and then you look up songs by artist i see Renaming Songs ten different listings for the same artist except the featuring part is different how can i organize all the songs by a given artist in one category with out having to manually find these songs in quot My Music amp is there a piece of software that helps organize mass amounts of music also how can i remove album art Thanks I hope the previous made any sense LOL nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-songs.445302/
Relevancy 36.12%

Issue just started where when I attempt to open a folder the option to rename a file appears but no action can be taken and I program won't close. Only way to close program is to force a close in task manager. Restarted but same issue. Any ideas?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-function.1103802/
Relevancy 36.12%

When I rename a file on my computer, I just have to type in the name only and the extension (file type) is maintained. However, another employee in our office has to actually type in the new name with the extension. I'm thinking they must have something set differently somewhere in Windows XP. Can anyone help?

Relevancy 36.12%

i now have roughly 4000 mp3s and i wanted to make a list of all of them,but at the end of each song on the list i want it to show what cd its on,i use file grabber to make the list,so when i put in a cd and load the list into file grabber i want it to say"song title"cd1.then i would load in another list from another cd and i want it to say"song title"cd2etc etc,so when i have my master list of all my music and i want to hear a song it will tell me cd to look on.is there a way to add an extension onto a batch of songs without renaming all of them.i hope i made myself clear on this---i use win 98

Relevancy 36.12%

Ok, so there are two options: You can either make windows show file extensions like file.exe, or you can have it hide known extensions, like file . What bothers me, is why isn't there an option that hides everything but click to rename it, the extension shows up?

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Alex.

A:Renaming Files

Quote: Originally Posted by AlexRD

Ok, so there are two options: You can either make windows show file extensions like file.exe, or you can have it hide known extensions, like file . What bothers me, is why isn't there an option that hides everything but click to rename it, the extension shows up?

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Alex.

Alex, I don't believe that I have ever seen that. I firmly believe that the default should be to show file extensions instead of hide them. Big mistake and a great opening for the virus and trojan creators..

Just my opinion..

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/202441-renaming-files.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I installed a new 2nd HDD and afetr installing I renamed it from new volume to second disk.
Then went to create a back up but the back up window was still saying new volume. I carried on and used the create system image which all worked ok onto my renamed disk.
But on testing I could not do any restore as it still said vew volume which is not there
What have I done wrong

A:Cannot use back up after renaming a new hdd

Post a maximized/re-sized screen print of Disk Management so all info is displayed:
Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/392028-cannot-use-back-up-after-renaming-new-hdd.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I have Ptudfapp running on my task master. I read that to elimnate it, I should reboot in DOS and rename the file from .exe to .old. Could someone please tell me how to do this? Thanks in advance for your time and effort.

A:Renaming file in DOS

In Windows, search for ptudfapp.exe. Make a note of where the file is located. Reboot into DOS, navigate to the directory where the file is found, and type REN PTUDFAPP.EXE PTUDFAPP.OLD then hit enter.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-file-in-dos.215220/
Relevancy 36.12%

Started to have this problem a few days ago.

I make a New Folder, the folder appears highlighted, I rename it and get this message (see image) I click on Try Again and the folder renames.

I also get a similar problem dragging a file into a folder. This time the message says something like 'This file no longer exists' I click on 'try again' and the file moves into the folder.

A:Renaming folders

Probably file corruption, try this
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/102990-renaming-folders.html
Relevancy 36.12%

In windows vista, when I wanted to rename files in a folder all I had to do was right click on one file, rename it and click tab to move to the next file to rename. I didn't have to right click every single file, click rename, type the name, press enter and then move on. This has become a huge problem for me in windows 7 and I cannot seem to find an answer of solution to this problem.

I open a folder that has 27 pictures; I want to rename those pictures in a consectutive order, but in the order I want them to be; for example: R2290-01 and I want that exact style to follow through until R2290-27. I am okay with renaming every file by hand, but I want to be able to "TAB" between them and not right click and rename everytime.

HELP ME PLEASE! This is driving me absolutely nuts.

If this is a common thing for you, might I suggest a completely different approach.
Introduction - Bulk Rename Utility

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/146845-renaming-files.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi All,
I had to reformat my HD due tosoe malware issues and when I reformatted and installed it named my 2 new partitions I: and J:

This seems to be messing with a game I play and I need to rename the drives. I loaded the XP disk and followed instructions up to the DOS prompt in the Recovery program. It will not allow me to rename a drive, only a file. Does anyone know the proper way to rename the drives?

A:Need help with renaming partitions in XP Pro

Computer Management via Administrative Tools.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/175310/need-help-with-renaming-partitions-in-xp-pro/
Relevancy 36.12%

Hello,
Is there any way to rename a drive such as the C: drive or D: drive? By this I mean, like change C: to like B:
Thanks

Relevancy 36.12%

Hi,
I need to change printer names in XP. We've got quite a few on a network, and without changing the printer names of the queues, how is it possible to change the names? Like in 98, press F2 and the ability is there...but there is no option in XP. Why is this so?!

Help is very much appreciated,
m.piggy

Relevancy 36.12%

how would i go about renaming a file from filename.something to filename.mp3 =P
thx for any help i get

A:renaming files

NOTE: I may be incorrect but try this(I think I am incorrect, but its worth a shot).

just change the ".something" to .mp3

EXAMPLE: metallica.avi, delete ".avi", type ".mp3"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-files.36716/
Relevancy 36.12%

I?m using Vista Home Premium 32 SP2
In some circumstances (and I can?t narrow it down), if I am changing a folder name in Explorer using the F2 on a selected folder name, a new folder is created, and the new and old folders both appear until the view is refreshed. (see image attached - Here I was adding and deleting a space character to force the error to show on the forum).
The old folder is visible, and it is also selectable, but I then get an error message (see other image) saying the location is not available.
Anyone else see this?. Is this behaviour by design? An error? Or what?
Thanks

A:Renaming Folders

Could be several causes:

Check your memory. Use the memory diagnostic test (type that in search) over night

Make sure your graphic card is working properly and updated.

Check for updated drivers.

Try with A/V turned off.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/268420-renaming-folders.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Is it possible to rename START and remove the windows flag on the left side of the task bar?

I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks in advance.

A:renaming start

http://www.tweakxp.com/display.aspx?id=492

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-start.200171/
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi,

I'm in need of some help. I'm trying to rename my folder 'catroot2' in System32 because according to an email from microsoft, this is how I can fix my SP1 Issue.

Now, it's not letting me rename it, it's saying I need to confirm the operation, and when I do, it says "You need permission to perform this operation".

Now I own the computer & have full rights to everything, why isn't it renaming?

Thanks.

A:Renaming folder

Hi Anscombe. . .

Welcome to the Tech Support Forum - Vista.

The "TrustedInstaller" is the owner of record for much of the Windows folder. You do not have "permission" by him/her to edit any files. You can "take ownership" of the Windows folder and accomplish what you wish.

You need to first "take ownership" file in question and set the appropriate file permissions for it alone. This can be accomplished tediously via a series of screens through Vista or in the following manner:

Bring up an Elevated command prompt via:
START | type cmd into the start search box | right-click on cmd (cmd.exe) | select "Run as Administrator" | next to the prompt type the following exactly as it appears in the command:

takeown /f c:\windows\system32\catroot2

icacls c:\windows\system32\catroot2

Now try to rename the file.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/renaming-folder-246612.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi
I am trying to completely rename an exe file using Resource Hacker. In the "version info" group there is the following information (shown with my edits in bold below). The problem is that although the filename, file description and icons are now the way i want, the name of the window that opens is still not changed.

Is there anything ive missed? Thanks for the help

Code:
1 VERSIONINFO
FILEVERSION 1,0,0,609
PRODUCTVERSION 1,0,0,609
FILEOS 0x4
FILETYPE 0x0
{
BLOCK "StringFileInfo"
{
BLOCK "040904B0"
{
VALUE "CompanyName", "Sibelius Software"
VALUE "FileDescription", "Sibelius 6"
VALUE "FileVersion", "01.00.00.0609"
VALUE "InternalName", "Sibelius 6"
VALUE "LegalCopyright", "Copyright (C) 2003"
VALUE "OriginalFilename", "Sibelius 6.exe"
VALUE "ProductName", "Sibelius 6"
VALUE "ProductVersion", "01.00.00.0609"
VALUE "FileName", "Sibelius 6"
}
}

BLOCK "VarFileInfo"
{
VALUE "Translation", 0x0409 0x04B0
}
}

A:Renaming .exe files

The name of the application Window could be stored anywhere. It could be in the resources, hard coded in the exe file or stored somewhere else. Every application is different.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/renaming-exe-files-673372.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Hey guys I'm current y facing an issue with Windows that may not be very major but it is bugging me As you guys know Windows now incorporate Librarys as a way of sorting ur stufff instead of designated Folders not renaming. Library Well I always Renamed my libraries from Beta to RC to now Win Pro with no probs at all Tll just now I discovered all my libraries have quot Library not renaming. fixed quot them selves to the default naming music Videos Documents you get the pic Any Library not renaming. further changes to the library name does not work at all However if i were to change the library name to anything other than the desired library name it would change without a hitch just what is going on here It jut recovered from another prob that was Chckdsk not starting it would get stuck at second now my question is these problems interelated and if so do i really have to reinstall My copy of windows please don't tell me i have to D I have never encountered any problems from Beta to RC but the retail version is really giving me a big headache i had to reinstall twice alrdy

A:Library not renaming.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ex14

Tll just now. I discovered all my libraries have "fixed" them selves to the default naming (music, Videos, Documents...you get the pic ). Any further changes to the library name does not work at all. However if i were to change the library name to anything other than the desired library name, it would change without a hitch. just what is going on here? ._.???

Welcome to the forums Ex14
I am confused by your statements above. Can or cannot you change the names?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/24788-library-not-renaming.html
Relevancy 36.12%

HI All, I have to remane a HDD VolumeID so a database program of mine can match up with my photos on my new HDD from my old one (I've just rebuilt my PC). My understanding is i can only do this using the Command prompt. I was wondering if someone would be able to kindly guide me through this process. Otherwise I might have to recatalog some 15,000 photos again. I'd rather not. Thanks so much to anyone who can help me. Thanks.

A:Help renaming a VolumeID

That's some awfully stupid software you have there...you should really tell the developer not to do something so stupid.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897436.aspx

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/179729-help-renaming-volumeid.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi guys Apologies for asking this as I m sure it s been dealt installation? XP Renaming with before but I couldn t find the right keywords to Renaming XP installation? get answers on searching I m in the process of clearing off a ndhand laptop I bought on Ebay in order to give it away - however I ve had it so long amp have moved on a fair bit so no longer have the XP disc to Renaming XP installation? reinstall XP on it What I really want to do is to remove my name from the installation so it shows up as quot BlackKats quot documents amp in D amp S Users etc I know it s linked in to the installation hence my concern - that unless I can reinstall XP afresh I ll not be able to get it changed I d just prefer for the new user not to know my name as it s rather unusual amp identifiable and this is being provided as a church donation to someone in my community It s not because I worry they ll be annoying me over any probs with it but rather that the point is to make it an anonymous donation if that makes sense SO wondering if anyone s any suggestions of how to hack the Registry if required to fix this Thanks Kat nbsp

A:Renaming XP installation?

There is some good advice for your situation here: http://superuser.com/questions/1957...-remove-everything-from-a-computer-without-re

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-xp-installation.1090314/
Relevancy 36.12%

i was scanning my system that day using Bitdefender total security 2008. I had 3 folders locked and password protected using folder guard.

Now, after the scanning is done, those folders' files' extensions were all added with .bd.ren. For example, if a file was door.jpeg , it was renamed to door.jpeg.bd.ren !!!!!!

all my files almost 20,000 files in the 3 folders are with an extension of .bd.ren

HOw do i fix all those files ??????????????????? :zzz: :zzz:

A:Bitdefender Renaming

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem but didnīt know it was created by Bitdefender Scan which I use also.
Did you get to solve it ? How?
Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bitdefender-renaming.107769/
Relevancy 36.12%

Hello Here s my problem Recently my computer busted and I had to get a new one My new motherboard only takes SATA and I have old IDE drives so I can to HD h: (from external Renaming d:) t use the drives on this computer but I have retrieved the data on it I have A LOT of music that I had moved On my Renaming external HD (from h: to d:) old computer I have spent countless hours at least dozens of hours organizing my music on winamp as I listened to Renaming external HD (from h: to d:) it I rated songs put songs in the library all that stuff When I moved winamp over fortunately all this information is saved however all the song locations have changed from D to H H is my external drive where I now keep the music So basically none of the songs work when I m using winamps library So I think this problem can simply be fixed if I can change the external drive from H to D so the locations match Or if somebody knows another way I can fix this I ll be glad to hear that too I ve tried changing the location listing on winamp manually but it doesn t seem to let you do it and even if I could unless I could do it for all the thousands of songs at once that wouldn t be feasible Thanks for any help

A:Renaming external HD (from h: to d:)

Here ya go: How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/261410/renaming-external-hd-from-h-to-d/
Relevancy 36.12%

okay so say i open something like notepad it comes up and its all fine but then i minimize it then it goes to that bar thing then if i click it opens back up on the screen again fine but if i right click it it just starts annoying... other appear behind things things blinking and the annoying... things appear behind other things normal stuff like close maxamize and stuff doesnt come up that happens with every program and it just starts blinking and is annoying and when i have thigns like instant message thats not minimized but stuff is in front of it i left click on it on the bottom and nothing happens except it starts blinking then i click it again and it minimizes then i click it again and it appears and this is just getting annoying cant do anything the way i used to and with windows media player i cant even make it appear by clicking on the bottom taskbar i think its called lol but idk maybe theres a setting for this just hope you can help me i have xp home nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/annoying-things-appear-behind-other-things.167826/
Relevancy 35.69%

Guys I Having Great Problem While Renaming Any Folder ...

Whether {Renaming} a NEW - FOLDER or {Renaming } an Existing Folder

plz help me to sort out this problem

below is the screen-shot of what actually the error is coming :

A:Problems While Renaming Any Folder

Hi Sandip,

Can you repost the image without the error message obscuring the folder path? It may give us a clue as to what the problem is.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/201145-problems-while-renaming-any-folder.html
Relevancy 35.69%

Hello
I have just installed a fresh copy of Windows Vista on to my machine.
Its been working perfectly fine for a few days.
Ive made a new folder on my desktop for the first time (the first time ive needed to)
When i try to rename it from 'New Folder' i get an error saying 'The file or folder does not exist'
Im completely confused.
Please can anyone help me?

Many thanks.
Tom Bullock.

Relevancy 35.69%

I have two hard drives that my friend installed and labeled them f and g. I want to re-label the f drive back to c because I cannot install some types of software when the hard drive is not labeled c.

Please help me A.S.A.P!

A:renaming hard drive

You will probably need to reinstall everything, as renaming the boot drive will cause severe problems for all the programs already installed, the Registry knows they are on F:
If you rename it as C, then the registry will be looking for the drive that no longer exists. There will be hundreds of entries.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-hard-drive.370198/
Relevancy 35.69%

I have 10 or so files in a folder:

folder\file_01_01_01.swf
folder\file_01_01_02.swf
folder\file_01_01_03.swf
folder\file_01_01_04.swf

i would like to rename these files:

folder\newfilename_01_01_01.swf
folder\newfilename_01_01_02.swf
folder\newfilename_01_01_03.swf
folder\newfilename_01_01_04.swf
I have the code to change each file seperately,

' Sub Rename()
' Dim FileName As String
' Dim NewFileName As String
' On Error Resume Next

' FileName = "C:\folder\file_01_01_01.swf"
' NewFileName = "C:\folder\newfilename01_01_01.swf"
' Name FileName As NewFileName
' End Sub

but i was hoping for a slick way to do it all...
any help...

Relevancy 35.69%

My document files seem to be named incorrectly and I cannot seem to rectify it. An example of my problem is: I save a file into Documents and the name comes up as
C:\User\Lis\Documents\Documents\Documents\Documents\Documents\Documents\Documents\Documents\File Name (Currently there are 13 Document folders, a similar number of photos and contact files).
I have tried deleting the empty files and lost them, then I tried to copy and paste the files into to the previous document folder with the same result.
Can you help me. Thanks Lis

A:Locating and renaming files

Your folders are too deep for windows to handle correctly. I saw the same problem that was created by an end user on my windows 2003 file server. How'd you pull off mucking up your folder hiearchy like that? I would like to know because I can't even duplicate what some of you users are doing. It's actually amusing and befuddling at the same time.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/183491-locating-renaming-files.html
Relevancy 35.69%

Yeah, i spent like 4 hrs trying to find a way to rename my xp account. Yes its adminstrative, Is there a way to do this? Without having to create a new account, because in the " control panel->user accounts" it doesnt have an option that says changing name of the account

Relevancy 35.69%

I have alot of music in a folder and only some of it has an album specified. Is there any way to delete all of the album specifys? So that every file has that field blank?

A:Help: Batch file renaming

Yes, do you have iTunes? Because you can edit the ID3 tags of multiple mp3 files at once in iTunes, so you could import all of the songs that you want to remove the album name and select them all and then set the album name to nothing.

If you need more detailed instructions on how you can do this, then just let me know and I would be happy to help you

Tom

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/279847-help-batch-file-renaming.html
Relevancy 35.69%

hi,
i have a problem renaming files with long filenames. in fact, it won't even let me delete or copy or cut them.
i think this may be the problem: windows doesn't have a problem with letting me write long filenames. it does have a problem if i try to move these files into another directory (an error message comes up saying that the file name is too long to move). but i think the problem is that it DOES let me rename the folder that the long filename is in, rendering the file inside useless to me. (i don't actually know if this is the problem, i'm too scared to test my theory).

but anyway, i was wondering if there was any way of renaming my file. i've tried downloading a renaming program but that didn't work. is there something i can type into the 'run' thing?
zac.

A:problems renaming files

You can try doing it from a command prompt. If the file names are very long (>255), then you masy have better luck using the "command" console rather than the "cmd" one. Rename the files first with old 8.3 DOS names and then rename them from within Windows.

Start by going to Start > Run, and typing:
cmd <Enter>

Navigate to the folder where the files are and use the "ren" command to rename them.

If that doesn't work, try using "command" instead of "cmd" in the Run box.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-renaming-files.346319/
Relevancy 35.69%

I have a small problem with renaming my folders.For example i just made a new folder and moved to a diff location on my computer and tried to rename it but i got this message"Acces denied""make sure the disc isnt protected" something like that.Any one know why that is??

A:Renaming folders trouble!!

Right click the folder, poperties
Uncheck READ ONLY - try it again

If that doesnt work, something within the folder is being used. If your trying to rename it when using explorer, that can happen

Check the processes, and look for anything suspicious

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-folders-trouble.174601/
Relevancy 35.69%

I set up some folders with subfolders inside them. When I went to rename the folders, all of the items in the subfolders was deleted. I have looked in the recycle bin and trash and cannot find the items there. What happened to the items that were in the subfolders when I renamed the folders?

A:Problem When Renaming Folders

Hello Michelle, and welcome to Vista Forums.

You might see if renaming the folder back to it's original name may restore them. If not, then the programs Recuva or ShadowExplorer might be able to recover them.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/232890-problem-when-renaming-folders.html
Relevancy 35.69%

I would like to rename scanned documents by using an Access form. The idea would be to link (not embed) the images (kept on the server) to an Access OLE form, view them one at a time and rename the actual document (not the link name in a table). Can anyone help?
Thanks!
Peter

Relevancy 35.69%

Hi guys,

I have a bunch of mp3 files that I recovered off a bad drive but the file names are "File001, file 002" and so on.

The attributes of the file still show the file name, album, etc. Anyway to have all the files automatically renamed according to their titles?