Windows Support Forum

Laptop shuts down randomly when lid is closed

Q: Laptop shuts down randomly when lid is closed

When I close the lid to my laptop (HP Pavilion) it will sometimes shut off. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't do it. In the power options I have it set to "do nothing" for both plugged in and battery for when the lid is closed but still for some reason it'll sometimes shut down.

I'm not sure if this has been asked and answered before, but there are just too many threads to go through them all and a Google search didn't turn anything up for my specific problem.

Any help would be great!

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/259512-laptop-shuts-down-randomly-when-lid-closed.html
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Laptop shuts down randomly when lid is closed

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 66.22%

Hi everyone I have a HP xf notebook that about two weeks about began shutting down randomly for no reason I and running windows xp home I have contacted HP and have updated the bios cleaned the down randomly HP laptop shuts fan vents changed some of the recovery settings Still nothing seems to fix this problem I think that it might be over heating only because when I first turn it on it will run for about - minutes before shutting down Once it shuts down it doesn t stay on for more that seconds if that The bottom also seems pretty hot But I can hear the fan running so I know that it is working okay I then thought that maybe the battery was bad but it still happens with the a c adaptor connect by itself I even tried to discharge the notebook but it still happens Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this problem Thanks Jim nbsp

A:HP laptop randomly shuts down

Any new hardware installed?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-laptop-randomly-shuts-down.390749/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi there I have a problem with my dell laptop It shuts down at random and then I have to go through Windows Error Recovery when trying to reboot I have contacted Dell on numerous occasions and last week sent it back to them It was returned with a new hard disk drive and heatsink The OS was reinstalled with Windows HP bit The laptop seems to shut down when I am actively typing randomly! My Help! shuts down laptop into a search engine and clerical work in Microsoft Office I have been trying through trial and error to find out when it happens When I attempted to go on the internet it lasted minutes and then binged at me and shut down it always comes up with ' ' in the address bar I disconnected the internet IE went into internet options to delete any cookies temp files and browsing history Help! My laptop shuts down randomly! but again it binged a me and shut down Connected back to the internet and tried to get mozilla firefox but just shut down Then had to go through the windows error recovery Took IE off and loaded Microsoft office Went into Publisher and it shut down Opened Microsoft word began typing It binged at me again the find and replace box popped up then the save you document box popped up and it then shut down Any ideas Does it sound like Hardware or software fault Its only six month old and I'm having trouble gettiing anywhere the Technical Help rom Dell Thanks

A:Help! My laptop shuts down randomly!

Hi and welcome to TSF you would need to run some diagnostics to test the hardware dell has it's own which model and number do you have ie dell studio 1734.The other alternate is to run seatools for dos on the hard drive and memtest 86 + on the ram,have you tried removing the ram and reseating it or tried starting in safe mode tapping F8 on booting then choosing safe mode with networking and see if it still behaves the same

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/help-my-laptop-shuts-down-randomly-652436.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi, My new laptop, it's less that 2 months old, has started to randomly shut down.  it then reboots and comes back up. i find this very frustrating when i'm in the middle of something.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Laptop-randomly-shuts-down/td-p/5679820
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section but i have a laptop with windows 10. Recently it keeps freezing and just taking ages to load anything. It also keeps randomly switching off. It doesnt shut down just goes off completely

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/620784/laptop-randomly-shuts-down/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hey everyone,

I have two problems with my HP Pavilion zx5040us.

My first problem is that it randomly shuts off. I was thinking it was overheating so I took it to the shop where the guy put some silver paste in there to cool it and I even bought a laptop cooler.
As soon as I turned it on I used it for 10 minutes and it shut off again.

My second problem is that my laptop can only work with the AC Power cord. I thought my battery needed to be replaced so I ordered a new one. As soon as I put the new one in... it still didn't do anything.

I downloaded the latest BIOS update too. I better wrap this up before my laptop shuts off again. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

-Andy

Relevancy 66.22%

hey guys
i have an hp compaq presario m2000
its just about 2 years old
anyway, one day it just shut off all together while i was on it, i took the battery out and put it back in a couple times, then it finally came on again.
after that it kept shutting off on me and now it is able to stay on for less and less time each time i get it running.
it was able to stay on for about 3 hours, and now its only about 15 minutes.
it will also turn off if i move it in any way.
right now i cant get it to turn on at all.
i thought maybe it was just time for a new battery, so i bought one but still no luck.
anyone have any idea what could be going on?????

A:Laptop randomly shuts off

"I thought maybe it was just time for a new battery, so I bought one but still no luck"...

You might check or reset the power settings. Does the new battery charge normally? Are the charging LED's normal?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-randomly-shuts-off.93410/
Relevancy 66.22%

This is a difficult question I have an ASUS K J series laptop that is over years old My laptop shuts off randomly in high power demanding games no warning no lag It is NOT hardware or heat It is NOT the power supply That really only leaves software Randomly off shuts Laptop but I am at a wits end trying to figure out what why how I have updated all drivers and DriectX The computer works fine - hours on end - but as soon as I try to play a 'heavy' game it lasts about - minutes and then shuts off These three games have triggered it - Borderlands League of Legends and Farming Simulator This issue bagan about month ago after I recieved my laptop back from a proffessional computer repairer as I had my display cable replaced this was a separate visit from the one where I had the thermal-paste re-done I will stress that it had never happened prior to recieving my laptop back However I don't know how that could be the cause - it was pointed out to me by a friend that It could have something to do with full-screen games and an issue with them that closes it I haven't tested that yet Laptop shuts off Randomly by playing them in Windowed mode Here is some further explanation Power Supply I have run Borderlands on battery power only AC power only and on AC Battery power Same shut down problem happened everytime Heat Issue I know it is not heat as I had the heat-sinks and thermal-paste re-done Also the computer place I took it too ran a stress test and had temps up around C and it didn't shut down and my laptop gets nowhere near that in-game I ran some software and monitored the motherboard graphics card etc they never went above C before the laptop turned off - whilst playing a game The computer place also had a look at the fan system thoughout my laptop and said it was is working fine Updates As I said I have updated all drivers and DriectX and I always keep the windows updates up-to-date I have looked at event logs and cannot find and 'critical' issues reported or any issues for that matter that describe the problem or match up with the time of each shut down however I do not use these much so may miss something or not be looking for the right things Thanks for any ideas help

A:Laptop shuts off Randomly

Hi Rinkashime,
So the computer place that seated and used the thermal paste, could be the issue.  Let me explain.

Asus computers in different models have this issue, and its usually after a repair.  More than likely the repair place removed the thermal pad, and replaced it with thermal paste.  Pads are the tops in GPU and Process heat transfer.  at 90C I would be a little worried but at 65C you should be OK.  Assuming that your device is OK with the connection of the Processor and the heat sink (meaning there are no air bubbles or gaps allowing it to surge, etc then I would look at your BIOS settings.

In most, not all BIOS settings, you can select and change the max and min shutdown temp for the machine.  Are these present?  If so are they sent about the temps that your device is throwing at you?  I would check.

Here is a overview of the Asus you have, including temps, how games handle and a given stress test they used.  Take a look at it and see if your getting the same numbers.  If you are not, then I would check the BIOS (make sure you keep it insides the guidlines for the processor you have, dont want to fry it).

I would then get the thermal paste or pad reseated and try it again. 

From there I would need a lot more info on what your computer has, etc.

good luck
cz

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/545717/laptop-shuts-off-randomly/
Relevancy 66.22%

hi, hopefully some of u can help me with this. lately when ive been using my laptop, it randomly shuts off when im using it. or, if i leave it idle for too long, the laptop will also shut off. ive checked the electrical outlet, and it seems to work fine, so that couldnt be the problem. and also, ive checked for viruses etc, and defragged my drive. anyone have any ideas?

A:laptop randomly shuts down!

Sounds like it could be overheating........does the bottom feel really warm when it shuts down? Will it start right away again, or do you have to leave it off for a bit?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-randomly-shuts-down.84674/
Relevancy 66.22%

I m having an odd issue with my HP Pavilion dv laptop Sometimes it will spontaneously shut itself down HP Laptop randomly shuts off First the screen will go out Next the computer itself will shut down This always occurs when I am doing something that requires a lot of resources such as playing a game or watching a video but only when the video is streamed it handles DVD and avi files just fine In retrospect it s game related I think it may be heat related as HP Laptop randomly shuts down if I try to boot the laptop after it shuts itself down it will shut itself down again before startup is complete If I let it cool down for a while and then come back to it the computer will boot properly As well these shutdowns are always accompanied by high temperatures on the left side Running SpeedFan right now the hard drive is at degrees C Temp ACPI is C the processor is at C and the video card is at C It does not recognize a fan I hope that helps This is not my area of expertise so I ve exhausted my options The computer is - months old and running Windows XP Home I believe nbsp

Relevancy 66.22%

I dont know what happens, is just shuts up, even if the battery is charged. It is a toshiba satellite, just 6 months old.
I dont know if i hit a key that shuts the system or a heating problem.
Help

A:The laptop randomly shuts up

Get a can of compressed air and blow out all the fans. Then go to Control Panel/Power Options. It probably is set to sleep after 5 minutes of non-use without the power adapter attached to save battery power. You can readjust this if you like.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/the-laptop-randomly-shuts-up-626444.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I have a Gateway 6307 ?, Vista. It randomly shuts down, sometimes right after log on, other times after an hour...Just noticed today that when I pick it up to move, and tilt it , it shuts off. Any ideas?

A:laptop shuts down randomly

Is the battery charging? Does it hold a charge?
If you gently wiggle the cord where it inserts into the laptop does it shut down? Is it a bit loose feeling?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/laptop-shuts-down-randomly-494685.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi guys So for the past days my laptop will randomly shut down in the middle of working I noticed that it shuts down when I seem to Randomly HP Laptop Off Shuts be HP Laptop Randomly Shuts Off pushing computer as in if I m playing a game that demands a lot of RAM or processing my data from work which again pushes the computer But once the laptop turns off if I immediately try and push the on button it will turn on and then immediately shut off I have to wait about minutes for it to turn on Something to point out right now my battery is charged but when I try to turn it on the battery charge light lights up Not entirely sure but some advice would be appreciated thanks Specs HP dv Gb RAM Windows Vista home premium AMD Turion X Mobile Technology TL- Ghz Some history with my computer recently I tried to uninstall my AVG in order to register some network stuff at my university and I was getting errors with that For the past year my battery would not charge beyond but in the past month it has been able to charge to Nothing was done to fix that In addition For about a month or so when I start to push my computer and open up several programs it makes this quot whirring quot noise which lasts for quite sometime and then randomly will stop That didn t change anything in terms of productivity or function for the laptop But now it just turns off nbsp

Relevancy 66.22%

I know this one is pretty common but I've randomly off laptop Help, shuts been through several posts and the common causes overheating wrong charger or hardware issues don't seem to have anything to do with it The fan wasn't working at an unusual rate and all hardware parts and charger are Help, laptop shuts off randomly the Help, laptop shuts off randomly original ones Besides the issue at least for now doesn't occur with the laptop connected so i'm thinking it could just be a miscalibrated battery but i don't know how rare or possible is this so if anybody could give me some pointers that would be great Oh and I wan't to add that I also doubt it's a virus because even though I've been on nothing but Windows Defender for a while now I discard that possibility due to the fact that the thrid time it shut down windows hadn't even started up it powered down immediatly just like when the computer turns off after the or percent battery warning and you try to turn it back immediatly

A:Help, laptop shuts off randomly

There exists what we call "ball grid array" or BGA failure Diagnosing failure in Ball Grid Array (BGA) solder bonds .

Basically the soldering on a PCB board have developed cracks due to heat/fatigue, and is the most difficult to diagnose.
Later on, as heats builds up during "normal" operation the soldering points expand and the connection is interrupted, only to be re-established when the system re-startts.

When working at HP, the guideline for diagnosing such failures was: Put the system under stress (to increase temperature) and then lift it from one corner (the mainboard was on a desk). If there is any problem then BGA failure is suspected.

Try doing the same from a corner of your Notebook.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/laptop-support/127586-help-laptop-shuts-off-randomly.html
Relevancy 66.22%

My wife has been nagging me to address her laptop issue for a while now.  Can you help me?

The problem is that it shuts down randomly.  Sometimes it will go a few days and sometimes only 15 minutes before the thing shuts down. Although i wasn't really paying attention, it just happened in front of me.  The system seemed to go to sleep but when i went to wake the laptop, the system started up from a full shut down (i had to log in and all applications were closed.)  There are no special warnings indicating that the system had an unexpected shut down..  

I had hoped that i fixed a similar problem on this system a year ago when it was also over heating.  No more overheating but still shutting down.

The system in question is a Samsung NP-R580 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.  i3 2.4GHz; 4.00GB RAM.  We're running Norton 360 Premier for anti-virus and firewall.

A:Laptop shuts down randomly

1.  Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.
 Checkmark the following checkboxes:  List last 10 Event Viewer log  List Installed Programs  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
 Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

2.  Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.  

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/618331/laptop-shuts-down-randomly/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hello,
i have a gateway nv52 laptop that randomly shuts off. I recently replaced the battery as i thought it was a power issue, checked the power cord its working fine. It randomly shuts off even with the battery charged. it usually does it when it gets hot, or when i try to install something from a cd/ portable hard drive. I took the entire laptop apart, No HDD, only RAM and CPU. I believe its either the RAM, CPU or the Motherboard. I strongly believe its most likely the cpu or the motherboard. Can i get a second, professional opinion on this, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Overheating will cause a sudden shutdown to prevent damage to the vital components. it doesn't necessarily mean one of those components is faulty. It could simply be caused by blocked ventilation slots in the laptop casing, so check them for fluff build-up.

Also make sure all fans are actually working.

I had a laptop which would overheat & shut down if it was used on my lap for a time. My trousers were actually blocking the ventilation slots. Although they are called laptops, they really need to be sitting on a hard surface to maintain a ventilation gap underneath it. I guess that's why manufacturer's now refer to them as "notebooks" so as not to mislead us about how they should be used.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/laptop-randomly-shuts-off-662608.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I have a Lenovo Y Windows Off Laptop Randomly Shuts -bit Intel R Core TM Duo CPU T GHz MHz GB Laptop Randomly Shuts Off RAM and it randomly shuts down when using full CPU process at when Laptop Randomly Shuts Off using facebook and youtube and anything else gets to process I am Laptop Randomly Shuts Off pretty sure it is not a virus though because i already checked the computer for viruses o and also shuts down when i barely started up the laptop so how can the virus even load i already re installed windows still shuts off and blowed the fan with can of compressed air even opened the laptop and cleaned the dirt off Also i do not know but it maybe started since i tried over-clocking the computer but most likely i under-clocked to much with NHC program because now in cpu-z it says core speed at MHz and in everest its says under the Overclock gt CPU Speed gt CPU Clock quot MHz original MHz quot so thats probably why its at process with so little programs open so if some one can help me overclock it again thanks Also in my motherboard name it says just quot Lenovo Invalid quot so i dont know what motherboard I have and I cant update the bios but its pheonix so i dont know where i can update it already tried the website but can not find where to update it any help would be appreciated thanks Also My core voltage is at V i dont know if this has something to do with the low performance but any help would be appreciated any time now thank you Any buddy wana help me out

Relevancy 66.22%

Hello all over the past year I Randomly Laptop Down Shuts could say I have been been getting a lot Laptop Randomly Shuts Down of random shutdowns with my Dell Studio This can happen when I m browsing the web trying to play a game or I leave my laptop Laptop Randomly Shuts Down on for a extended period of time a day or more I realize a year is along time to wait to solve a problem but better now than never My laptop is a Dell Studio running Windows x Sometimes when I turn my laptop back on I can hear the fan running rapidly yet when it shuts off I do not hear it I believe these are due to heat and I just need to clean out my laptop If and when I leave it on I come back to find it has restarted and most of the time there is a not a Blue Screen notice Usually in this situation I just left my laptop on or I am streaming media Sometimes it will Blue Screen but most recently within the past few months it has not Today it actually has produced one Unfortunately I believe most logs are deleted due to my use of CCleaner and TuneUp Utilities but I do have Critical events in my Error Logs which date back to months ago I look forward to solving this problem Please and thank you

A:Laptop Randomly Shuts Down

Do not allow any cleanup utilities that might remove crash dumps and logs to run while we are trouble-shooting.Let's collect some more information: I'll have a look at it and help you try to resolve the problem. Please follow the instructions: Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions - Windows 8, 7 & Vista(Note: When you run BSOD_Windows7_Vista_v2.64_jcgriff2_.exe, it will also run autoruns.exe ... and both need to be in the Documents folder!)... with one exception to the following line under Step 4:"Create a new thread HERE and attach the file(s)."The BC forums will allow a total attachment size of only 512 kb (and what you need to attach will exceed this limit).Please upload the zip file to a file sharing website of your choice and and post a link to it in this thread so that we can access your uploaded zip file.See the suggestions in the following links for recommendations on file sharing websites:http://lifehacker.com/388284/best-online-file-sharing-serviceshttp://www.hongkiat.com/blog/15-great-free-online-file-sharing-alternatives/http://www.smashingapps.com/2008/08/28/5-best-free-file-hosting-services-to-store-your-files.html

I can recommend : Also suitable is Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, and post a link to it in this thread.It is a convenient and accurate way of providing us with details of your computer specifications. Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your Desktop and run it.Checkmark the following checkboxes:
List Installed ProgramsClick Go.
When the scan is finished, a text file will open in a Notepad window.Copy the entire contents of the Notepad window, and paste in your reply.
(Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/473711/laptop-randomly-shuts-down/
Relevancy 66.22%

i have a Toshiba L D S which shuts down sometimes for no reason and even the battery and charging lights off Laptop randomly shuts go out when i try to Laptop shuts off randomly turn it on the system shuts down and everything even the lights go i have to unplug the charger and take out then reinsert the battery to get it to start up again also my system has been noticably slower i run Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack thanks in advance here is my hijack this log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Program Files Trusteer Rapport bin RapportService exe C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RtHDVCpl exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static MOM exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files TOSHIBA ConfigFree NDSTray exe C Program Files TOSHIBA Power Saver TPwrMain exe C Program Files TOSHIBA SmoothView SmoothView exe C Program Files TOSHIBA FlashCards TCrdMain exe C Program Files HP HP Software Update hpwuSchd exe C Program Files Toshiba TEMPRO TemproTray exe C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgtray exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exe C Program Files Windows Live Messenger msnmsgr exe C Windows ehome ehtray exe C Program Files uTorrent uTorrent exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exe C Program Files Toshiba SmartFaceV SmartFaceVWatcher exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnscfg exe C Windows ehome ehmsas exe C Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exe C Program Files TOSHIBA ConfigFree CFSwMgr exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqSTE exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqbam exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static CCC exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPHelper exe C Program Files Windows Live Contacts wlcomm exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C PROGRA FOXITS FOXITR FOXITR EXE C Program Files Spotify spotify exe C Program Files X-Chat xchat exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www google co uk R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www google co uk R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www google co uk R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName O - Hosts localhost O - BHO AskBar BHO - f d - - d - c -aa e ed - C Program Files AskBarDis bar bin askBar dll O - BHO RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - C E -B - BC - - C CA - C Program Files Real RealPlayer rpbrowserrecordplugin dll O - BHO WormRadar com IESiteBlocker NavFilter - CA F - F E- B -A E- E E C C - C Program Files AVG AVG avgssie dll O - BHO no name - C C A-E - b - D - CECB - no file O - BHO Search Helper - EBF - F- bff-A F-B E AAC B - C Program Files Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack Search Helper SEPsearchhelperie dll O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live Windo... Read more

A:Laptop shuts off randomly

bump

please help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-shuts-off-randomly.907540/
Relevancy 66.22%

I have an hip laptop and it randomly off randomly shuts Laptop shuts off I want to try to trouble shoot before I call it a Laptop randomly shuts off lost cause Referred to some great threads on here before so thought I d give this forum a try Thanks ahead of time for any help I have an HP Pavilion dv It randomly would shut off a few months ago got better but started up again When it shuts off its sudden like someone pulled the cord on it After it shuts off I cannot get it to start for quite awhile afterward minutes to hrs if not longer I can push the power button and the computer will attempt to start but will do the cold shutdown in the middle of startup Sometimes it can get as far as the windows log on and then shutoff The shutdown happens at all times no pattern in my activity The computer has some other issues I can t run it without the power cord because the battery is dead HP said its because I didn t take the battery out when I used the laptop plugged into the wall Refuse to buy another battery if I can t get laptop to work My year old spilled milk on the keyboard and it was bad enough the milk came it the USB ports and battery slot on the bottom Another issue is when I try to change the power battery settings I can t change it past the lowest performance setting because the laptop overheats It will shut down within minutes of changing setting this seriously affects the performance since it has to run so low But hey it s a laptop and works for my basic net surfing and word processing If it sounds like a lost cause let me know If there s something I can try I appreciate the help nbsp

Wow, after spilling milk all the way through it I would consider myself fortunate that it still runs. To me it sounds like it is overheating. Laptops generally collect dust inside as they age and eventually develop cooling issues. I'm sure all the milk doesn't help. Have you tried opening it up and dusting it off with a can of compressed air?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-randomly-shuts-off.183568/
Relevancy 66.22%

my Acer Aspire 5000 shuts off randomly with no warning! Please help!

A:laptop shuts off randomly

Could be a sign of overheating. . Or the battery could be dying.

Try to clean out the vents with a can of compressed air.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/laptop-shuts-off-randomly-302310.html
Relevancy 66.22%

i just wanna take the opportunity in this forum, my laptop also shutsdown randomly, but it also does when i run my mcaffe virus scan.i dont know if i have a temp problem or my memory or processor ar burnt out.

Relevancy 66.22%

hello,

recently i have been having trouble with my laptop (toshiba satellite, running windows xp, about a year old). it seems to randomly shut off at times, often causing me to lose whatever i am working on. often it happens when i am in the middle of a game or in the loading of a game, but even happens when i load different applications or watch websites with flash/music playing. the fans usually get pretty loud, and then the laptop shuts off all together. the laptop is just about always plugged in, not running from battery. if anyone knows any way i can fix this without sending it into the manufacturer i would be most grateful.

thank you

Relevancy 65.36%

This is a brief description of my laptop Time of this report Machine name Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium Build freezes/shuts down Laptop randomly Service Pack vistasp gdr - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard System Model Compaq Presario A Notebook PC BIOS Default System BIOS Processor Intel R Pentium R Dual CPU T GHz CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C Windows DirectX Version DirectX DX Setup Parameters Not found DxDiag Version bit Unicode ------------ DxDiag Notes ------------ Display Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Input Tab No problems found -------------------- DirectX Debug Levels --------------- Display Devices --------------- Card name Mobile Intel R Express Chipset Family Manufacturer Intel Corporation Chip type Mobile Intel R Express Chipset Family DAC type Internal Device Key Enum PCI VEN amp DEV A amp SUBSYS D C amp REV Since my laptop has been freezing or Laptop randomly freezes/shuts down crashing I have looked through the event viewer and found Processor exposes the following idle state s performance state s which occurs shortly before The previous system shutdown at on was unexpected A few other errors i've found recently have been The following boot-start or system-start driver s failed to load BHDrvx ccHP eeCtrl IDSVix spldr SRTSPX SYMTDI The process C Windows Laptop randomly freezes/shuts down system winlogon exe -PC has initiated the restart of computer -PC on behalf of user -PC Sophie for the following reason No title for this reason could be found The DNS Client service depends on the NetIO Legacy TDI Support Driver service which failed to start because of the following error A device attached to the system is not functioning The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error The dependency service or group failed to start DCOM got error quot quot attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments quot quot in order to run the server D C F-AC - F F-BEB - C C CE Its like a minefield and I dont know where to start I regularly do a full system virus scan and defragment the C One thing I have had in mind is that it may be overheating The fans do sound a bit loud sometimes even though i have it propped up on a desk and last summer it had been left to get quite hot when a family member was using it a number of times

A:Laptop randomly freezes/shuts down

Hi,

Start by installing SP2: http://www.techsupportforum.com/f104...ml#post2160787

Regards,
Reventon

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/laptop-randomly-freezes-shuts-down-469114.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I have a Toshiba Satellite A205-35864. I can turn it on, then after 30 min it will shut down, then If I try to turn it on again it will shut down after 5 min. It isn't high temperatures, or low battery life, (I am thinking PSU).

Relevancy 65.36%

a friend gave me a laptop and i was cleaning it up when it started randomly shutting off first i was doing a cleanup and it shut down during a malwarebytes scan then i rebooted and Laptop randomly shuts without errors off it finished Laptop randomly shuts off without errors then when installing avast right when it started coping files it would shut off when it shuts off its like your pulling the power out so there s no errors in the log or minidumps i tested the hard drive and its good i ran memtest and after about tested it shut off i tried each stick individually and in each slot and it shut off on every one of them then i tested the ram in another laptop and they passed i left the laptop on all night long and it was still on when i got up i m stumped all i can think of is blaming it on a bad memory controller but i think thats just an excuse that sounds good nbsp

A:Laptop randomly shuts off without errors

The laptop may be overheating. Are the CPU cooling vemts clean and free from dust? The laptop may have to be opened in order to clean the area well

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-randomly-shuts-off-without-errors.127803/
Relevancy 65.36%

I recently purchased this Acer Aspire V3-531 laptop to replace my Acer Aspire netbook which had provided faultless service for 3 years. The new laptop works well, however, I have an intermittent problem when the laptop will shutdown/restart mostly straight after waking from sleep mode and once while idle.

First post on here and my tech levels are basic/competent. Any assistance would be appreciated.

A:Laptop randomly shuts down/restarts.

Originally Posted by IAMKLOOT76

I recently purchased this Acer Aspire V3-531 laptop to replace my Acer Aspire netbook which had provided faultless service for 3 years. The new laptop works well, however, I have an intermittent problem when the laptop will shutdown/restart mostly straight after waking from sleep mode and once while idle.

First post on here and my tech levels are basic/competent. Any assistance would be appreciated.

it could be that it is overheating and then it shuts down

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/53396-laptop-randomly-shuts-down-restarts.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hello I m quite new to this forum and it looks promising Let it be known I m and not very computer literate I m here to post an inquiry about my laptop randomly shutting off mostly when I m playing games I have come to my own conclusion that it shuts down due to it overheating As the back of the laptop sometimes feels and ranges from hot to extremely hot Not hot as Solved: Off Randomly Laptop Shuts a frying pan So when it turns off I take a normal stand-up fan and let it blow against the back off my laptop Sometimes when it shuts off I can t turn it on for a few minutes sometimes I Solved: Laptop Randomly Shuts Off can restart it straight away I do own a cooling fan but it may not work as well as it used to due some spokes being broken but it still blows a relatively good amount of air The games I currently play are Chivalry Medieval Warfare Garry s Mod and League Of Legends My laptop is two years old with the specs here http i photobucket Solved: Laptop Randomly Shuts Off com albums x LumpySausage SystemInformation zps a a bc png I encountered these random shutdowns earlier this year however it s becoming more frequent and more annoying I ve researched around google forums and people seem to have based others problems due to dust being built up within my laptop And a long with my findings I ve found videos showing how to clean dust out of your laptop via Homemade Procedures I ve also figured out a nice programme to find out the temperatures of the components CPUID HWMonitor And the results are here http i photobucket com albums x LumpySausage Information zpsbc b b png This is the first time on this forums forgive me if this is not in the correct section I found another post similar to my problem in the same section but his issue was solved by not so convincing means If you guys have the answer to my problem please answer and remember I m not that computer literate but I do try so if possible Lamen s Terms I hope I haven t left anything out Have a good night Lastly it never used to happen but today my games started to slow-up right before the shutdown usually it would just shutdown without the programmes being slowed nbsp

A:Solved: Laptop Randomly Shuts Off

When you play games on your laptop, where do you put the laptop at? (Desk, bed, your lap etc.).
You may need to clean the fan vents from your laptop if not done for quite some time or never.
Buy yourself a cooling fan pad:
example: http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master...1407577708&sr=8-1&keywords=laptop+cooling+fan

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-laptop-randomly-shuts-off.1131219/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hello, I'm on a pretty new laptop, got it a few months ago. It runs fine, but the only thing is, since I updated to 8.1, my computer will randomly shut off on it's own from time to time. It took me a few times to upgrade to 8.1 without any problems (eventually had to restore to factory settings and update from there right away). It's not a huge deal, but I want to make sure it's not going to get worse or cause other problems. I'm uploading a .txt file with all my specs. Thanks in advance!

A:Since updating to 8.1, laptop randomly shuts off

Have you made sure that all of your drivers are fully updated?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/since-updating-to-8-1-laptop-randomly-shuts-off-773466.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I have an ASUS laptop that I beleive has become infected with a virus that is randomly closing down the laptop amp immediately re-booting it The laptop re-boots fine bar it tries to firstly locate a spyhunter fix rather than Laptop ASUS down shuts randomly the option of XP or Vista I can manually locate ASUS Laptop randomly shuts down the XP option amp then log in OK until the problem recurs The laptop works OK for indeterminate periods of time amp tends to shut down when opening or closing down a programme or a file It is for that reason I do not think I have a power supply issue or temperature issue which seem to be common problems I have advanced system care which suggests the laptop is in A condition amp when it is on it works absolutely fine I am suspicious of the spyhunter fix which I think must be rogue I am also unable to access task manager A longer term problem is I cannot run the laptop in safe mode It gets so far then just gets stuck I accept that any help on here may be limited due to this particular problem Most solutions seem to require safe mode From googling my problem a suggestion of SD fix seems to fit the bill except that I have been unable to download this from ANY link Again I am suspicious that this is part of something sinister going on rather than mere coincidence Any help at all would be appreciated Thanks in advance

A:ASUS Laptop randomly shuts down

Problem has now been resolved.

Please ignore post in 3 days or older thread.

Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/402718/asus-laptop-randomly-shuts-down/
Relevancy 65.36%

This is a brief description of my laptop Time of this report Machine name Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium Build Service Pack vistasp gdr - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard System Model Compaq Presario A Notebook PC BIOS Default System BIOS Processor Intel R Pentium R Dual CPU T GHz CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C Windows DirectX Version DirectX DX Setup Parameters Not found DxDiag Version bit Unicode ------------ DxDiag Notes ------------ Display Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Input Tab No problems found -------------------- DirectX Debug Levels --------------- Laptop randomly down freezes/shuts Display Devices --------------- Card name Mobile Intel R Express Chipset Family Manufacturer Intel Corporation Chip type Mobile Intel R Express Chipset Family DAC type Internal Device Key Enum PCI VEN amp DEV A Laptop randomly freezes/shuts down amp SUBSYS D C amp REV Since my laptop has been freezing or crashing I have looked through the event viewer and found - lt Event xmlns quot http schemas microsoft com win events event quot gt - lt System gt lt Provider Name quot Laptop randomly freezes/shuts down Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM quot Guid quot B E -B AA- -BADC-B F A E quot EventSourceName quot DCOM quot gt lt EventID Qualifiers quot quot gt lt EventID gt lt Version gt lt Version gt lt Level gt lt Level gt lt Task gt lt Task gt lt Opcode gt lt Opcode gt lt Keywords gt x lt Keywords gt lt TimeCreated SystemTime quot - - T Z quot gt lt EventRecordID gt lt EventRecordID gt lt Correlation gt lt Execution ProcessID quot quot ThreadID quot quot gt lt Channel gt System lt Channel gt lt Computer gt lt Computer gt lt Security gt lt System gt - lt EventData gt lt Data Name quot param quot gt lt Data gt lt Data Name quot param quot gt WSearch lt Data gt lt Data Name quot param quot gt lt Data Name quot param quot gt D C F-AC - F F-BEB - C C CE lt Data gt lt EventData gt lt Event gt ---------------------- - lt Event xmlns quot http schemas microsoft com win events event quot gt - lt System gt lt Provider Name quot Microsoft-Windows-WMI quot Guid quot edeee - afe- -b -d c b b f quot EventSourceName quot WinMgmt quot gt lt EventID Qualifiers quot quot gt lt EventID gt lt Version gt lt Version gt lt Level gt lt Level gt lt Task gt lt Task gt lt Opcode gt lt Opcode gt lt Keywords gt x lt Keywords gt lt TimeCreated SystemTime quot - - T Z quot gt lt EventRecordID gt lt EventRecordID gt lt Correlation gt lt Execution ProcessID quot quot ThreadID quot quot gt lt Channel gt Application lt Channel gt lt Computer gt lt Computer gt lt Security gt lt System gt - lt EventData gt lt Data gt root CIMV lt Data gt lt Data gt SELECT FROM InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN WHERE TargetInstance ISA quot Win Processor quot AND TargetInstance LoadPercentage gt lt Data gt lt Data gt x lt Data gt lt EventData gt lt Event gt ------------ - lt Event xmlns quot http schemas microsoft com win events event quot gt - lt System gt lt Provider Name quot Microsoft-Windows-HttpEvent quot Guid quot b bc c- b- -bbf - a ea fc quot EventSourceName quot HTTP quot gt lt EventID Qualifiers quot quot gt lt EventID gt lt Version gt lt Version gt lt Level gt lt Level gt lt Task gt lt Task gt lt Opcode gt lt Opcode gt lt Keywords gt x lt Keywords gt lt TimeCreated SystemTime quot - - T Z quot gt lt EventRecordID gt lt EventRecordID gt lt Correlation gt lt Execution ProcessID quot quot ThreadID quot quot gt lt Channel gt System lt Channel gt lt Computer gt lt Computer gt lt Security gt lt System gt - lt EventData gt lt Data Name quot DeviceObject quot gt Device Http ReqQueue lt Data gt lt Data Name quot SecurityPackage quot gt Kerberos lt Data gt ------------- - lt Event xmlns quot http schemas microsoft com win events event quot gt - lt System gt lt Provider Name quot Microsoft-Windows-Eventlog quot Guid quot fc ddd -d ef- - d - e cfe ce quot gt lt EventID gt lt EventID gt lt ... Read more

A:Laptop randomly freezes/shuts down

also this -

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007043c from line 45 of d:\vistasp1_gdr\com\complus\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-EventSystem" Guid="{899daace-4868-4295-afcd-9eb8fb497561}" EventSourceName="EventSystem" />

<EventID Qualifiers="49152">4609</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>16</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-03-16T08:35:11.000Z" />

<EventRecordID>56476</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>Fieldmont-PC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="param1">d:\vistasp1_gdr\com\complus\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp</Data>

<Data Name="param2">45</Data>

<Data Name="param3">8007043c</Data>

</EventData>
</Event>
Also I did a system restore and driver update and no change

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-randomly-freezes-shuts-down.910573/
Relevancy 65.36%

OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium bit Toshiba Satellite A series Processor Intel R Core TM i CPU M GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R HD Graphics Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard TOSHIBA NWQAA Antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials Frontier Secure Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Problem So my computer keeps shutting down I just bought a replacement battery for my computer so I don't think it's a battery issue I read some previous posts abut Windows not reading their battery status correctly and shutting shuts Please Laptop randomly no with warning. off help! off the computer with a battery message However If my computer shuts off with the battery attached I am still able to turn on the computer run windows startup and load programs Similarly my AC power adapter is still able to charge my computer I don't use up a lot of memory either I ran my virus protection software Laptop randomly shuts off with no warning. Please help! and it said that my computer was clean Additionally my computer doesn't seem to be overheated and there's nothing blocking the fan Any suggestions for narrowing down the problem It started a few days ago

A:Laptop randomly shuts off with no warning. Please help!

Have you run a temperature program to make sure the laptop is not running to hot?

Such as this:

Speccy - Advanced System Information Tool

Please then upload a screenshot of it with something like the snipping tool.
Please follow the above tutorial, and if there is anything you do not understand-ASK

Do you hear any unusual noises?

Anything unusual at all when the issue occurs?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/320113-laptop-randomly-shuts-off-no-warning-please-help.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi Friends The problems with my ASUS laptop continue Before I call ASUS and waste time sending my laptop back to them for a fourth time I thought I would check-in with the Best-Forum-Ever for suggestions Since spring I have sent my laptop back to the manufacturer times to address chronic random freezing On trips and they replaced the hard drive and then the motherboard downs Laptop randomly shuts When my computer was returned in September everything was wonderful - blissful really - the Laptop shuts downs randomly freezing problem was cured It started differently but it worked and after losing no fewer Laptop shuts downs randomly than work hours on fixing my laptop I wasn't going to complain after pressing the power button it sounds like it's powering-up then there is a click and then silence It does this three or four times before it 'catches' and starts up About a month after getting it back it shut down randomly once Since it didn't reoccur until now I didn't really think much of it Today it has shut down randomly a few times in the last hour or two The screen goes black and then it powers down I suspect the trouble is only beginning The Speccy report is here Minitoolboxl list is attached too I appreciate any help and advice

A:Laptop shuts downs randomly

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

As a general rule I will not download material of an unknown source to my computer.  This is why I've requested that you post the MiniToolBox in your topic.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/516114/laptop-shuts-downs-randomly/
Relevancy 65.36%

It started just today. My laptop would randomly just shut off when the battery was low. When I checked the percentage it shows 15% when I turn my laptop back on. I already checked the power options, and everything is normal there. I was wondering if anyone has any solutions to this. Also, I just notice that my laptop would not charge past 90%. It would charge up until 90%. Thanks in advance. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Laptop-randomly-shuts-down-when-it-hits-15/td-p/5796547
Relevancy 65.36%

It started just today. My laptop would randomly just shut off when the battery was low. When I checked the percentage it shows 15% when I turn my laptop back on. I already checked the power options, and everything is normal there. I was wondering if anyone has any solutions to this. Also, I just notice that my laptop would not charge past 90%. It would charge up until 90%. Thanks in advance. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Laptop-randomly-shuts-down-when-it-hits-around-15-when-the/td-p/5797612
Relevancy 65.36%

Ok I've been trying to do this on my own for about a month and I'm at a loss I have an asus u e I bought from my brother When it's cold and not on a battery ie I'm on the road in my cold. off shuts when randomly HELP! Laptop car it starts to load up then shuts down Then I power on again and it gets a little further then shuts down This goes on and on for several times till it stays on eventually I have diagnosed the HD Laptop randomly shuts off when cold. HELP! mem tested it though I heard Laptop randomly shuts off when cold. HELP! it only does my first stick of ram I have cleaned windows up did sfc scan check disk updated bios all drivers etc everything I can think of This is a basically clean install of windows I don't know if you can check the motherboard for certain problems but google hasn't been helpful Caveat he did spill soda on the keyboard and I ordered one from ebay got in and replaced it There was random stickiness in the computer though not terrible It runs great once warm or on a power source The power button is a little rough but I doubt that's it Gotten etc error codes Makes no sense I bring it home not on charger same power profile no restarts Even in a semi warm car or cold car always randomly rebooting IDK what to do I'm completely out of ideas Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Laptop randomly shuts off when cold. HELP!

All the residue from the soda spill needs to be removed from inside the laptop.  It can cause corrosion and shorting.

There is a good article here on how to clean a laptop after a spill.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/523805/laptop-randomly-shuts-off-when-cold-help/
Relevancy 65.36%

Ok so I am working on a laptop for laptop randomly shuts down not overheating my buddy's wife It is a laptop randomly shuts down not overheating hp pavilion dv Obviously enough the title explains it all I have blown canned air through it and it seemed to run for about hours in safe mode while I defraged it Logged back on and tried to laptop randomly shuts down not overheating preform update to sp and crashed in the middle Luckily it turned out just fine I don't believe it's due to overheating because the bottom and the keyboard aren't hot at least not compared to any other laptop I have tried to replace the memory and it still happens Anyone laptop randomly shuts down not overheating have any ideas I'm so stumped SystemInfoEdited jpg picture by dragonpoet - PhotobucketHere is a link to her system Info I had to edit it because she used her first and last name as the user And also she actually has gb of ram installed there is just because I tired to replace it with my own as previously stated Well thanks for the help in advance P S I have read some stuff where its the thermal paste How would I go about replacing that And is that a symptom of anything P S S And when I say quot shutting down quot it shuts off No log off screen no BSOD blue screen of death just off P S S S And It's not when it's normally running when It's shutting off It's shut off in safe mode and I have even seen it shut off on the screen where is says quot press F to blah blah blah quot when you first turn the laptop on

A:laptop randomly shuts down not overheating

Welcome
First we have to try and diagnose before trying to fix
I am starting with the assumption that it works ok in safe mode. If it does not we should look toward a hardware issue. I am focusing on software

If it works in safe mode try with a clean boot.
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
If it does not shut down, follow procedue. If it does shut down go to next step

Download and test for overheating (your touch the keyboard method is not a recognized overheating test) by using speedfan.
If it is overheating thats the cause if not follow next step

I guess this has to be done in safe mode, although no the best way. Download malwarebytes and run a full updated scan with that and your anti virus.
Negative go to next step

Go to event viewer and give me the codes and explanations of the various shutdowns.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/287941-laptop-randomly-shuts-down-not-overheating.html
Relevancy 65.36%

My laptop is a Sony Vaio this is the model - gt VPCF FX Lately i've been My off randomly without shuts warning laptop gaming heavily on it and its my first time leaving it on over night Now the first thing you guys might think is that its an overheating problem I can assure you its not as I tested it while monitoring my core's temperatures My laptop randomly shuts off without warning different tests the one without a coolant the laptop peaked at a blistering c like I said it shuts down randomly I can leave it on overnight without My laptop randomly shuts off without warning a coolant and then when I play for like hour it can shut off The fastest it shut off before was minutes right after running the game I play It only shuts down while playing a game known as Aika I doubt its also the games problem as how can a game shut off a laptop pc Anyways the test with the coolant the temperature is at a stable - c and it still randomly shuts off it could shutoff within minutes or hours of playing a game never witnessed it shutdown without playing yet

A:My laptop randomly shuts off without warning

Take it apart and clean the dust out 95c without cooling pad is way too much...

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/6934-my-laptop-randomly-shuts-off-without-warning.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I have a 2year old hp Envy 15-j which keep randomly shutting down without warning. It may stay on for a minute or maybe 15-20 but then shuts down without warning. I can hear something running and wondered if it could be the fan and it shuts down due to overheating. Could anyone please help as it has hardly been used. Thank you

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Laptop-shuts-down-randomly-without-warning/td-p/5796909
Relevancy 65.36%

I started having this problem about days ago I run my laptop with its power cord in all the time wasn t doing anything and it had some stuff like AIM and word running and then just shut off I d HAD power won't shuts randomly down, Laptop up problems with the AC power jack coming off of the motherboard before so I assumed it was a battery thing but I hadn t gotten a battery warning Wouldn t turn on acted like it wasn t getting power even though the power CORD was lit up Took it in of course powered up for them and they found nothing wrong Has happened a few more times since then Will just randomly shut off and then not turn back on Sometimes for a few minutes sometimes hours Can I rule out viruses and anything software related since it acts like it isn t getting any power when it is off and plugged in light should be blinking Any ideas of what the problem could be Hard to diagnose when the thing acts just fine at the repair place nbsp

A:Laptop randomly shuts down, won't power up

I've been having the same problem with my laptop too. I have an IBM Thinkpad T23 and I've been running Speedfan recently and I've noticed that my CPU temp usually hovers around 154 deg. F or about 68 deg. C. I'm thinking that maybe it's the CPU overheating for the both of us. I've noticed that I can have it just sit there for over 3 days straight, but when I go to use it to write an essay or whatever, it'll shut off on me (The Prof. loves that one ). That's my reasoning on it.. and maybe that's why it didn't do that for the repair guys.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-randomly-shuts-down-wont-power-up.27438/
Relevancy 65.36%

I purchased a Gateway laptop see specs below about years ago and haven t had any problems up until now About two months ago the laptop began randomly shutting down with no warning Searches indicated that the machine may be overheating So I carefully cleaned the fan heat sinks etc with compressed air Didn t help Since it only powers down Gateway Randomly Laptop Shuts Down when hooked to a power supply it never does so when using the battery I bought a new power supply exact same type that came with the computer It seemed to work for about a Gateway Laptop Randomly Shuts Down week and then the random shutting down started again The only other possibly relevant piece of information is that the machine fell about a foot from a table onto soft carpet a few weeks before this started happening Any thoughts on what may be causing the machine to randomly shut down My thanks in advance Gateway ML running Windows Home Premium bit OS Intel Pentium Dual T processor MB RAM Realtek RTL B Wireless card nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/gateway-laptop-randomly-shuts-down.982440/
Relevancy 65.36%

I have a Toshiba Satellite L645d-S4036 laptop. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1. Whenever I attempt to boot my laptop in normal mode it shuts down within 30 seconds of logging on. There's no bsod, no crashing, the laptop just completely shuts off. However, I can run my laptop in safe mode for any length of time; my laptop only shuts off when I attempt to boot it in normal mode (this leads me to believe that the problem is not a heat related issue). I've also run Kaspersky TDSS Killer, Super Anti-Spyware, Malwarbytes Anti-Malware, and Microsoft Security Essentials, and nothing was found, which leads me to believe it's not a virus-related issue. Also, because my computer runs in safe mode but not normal mode, this leads me to believe that the problem is in some way software related but I'm not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:[SOLVED] Laptop Randomly Shuts Down

Hi,

I'm far from being an expert, I just want to help out. This is what I do whenever I get this issue.

1.Try to remember any changes made to your laptop before the issue came up.

Because if you can boot into safe mode but not normally then it could be a previously installed program or a corrupted/missing important system file. Not sure if drivers could be related to this. Any expert out there please shed some light here.

2. Have you tried the "Last known good configuration" option?

3. If system restore is enabled then Restore to a previous state. If you can't then you can try the next step that I do.

4. In the search box type in "msconfig" and hit enter. Go to the services tab. Check the "hide all the microsoft services". You will then see a list of services. You can uncheck then apply. Try to boot normally. If that doesn't work go to msconfig again but this time, you need to click on the start up tab. Unchek the start up items and see if that fixes it.

Note: It is important to uncheck the "Hide all Microsoft services" so that you will not be able to uncheck the important services that your laptop needs in order to function properly.

5. This last step usually fixes my computer issues whenever I encounter something like this, but I'm not sure if this will be the case for you. Anyway, if you have your windows 7 installer disc, you can boot into it and then choose the repair option there to repair your windows.

Note: You have to go to your BIOS setting. Go to the boot options menu then set it to boot from the disc first and then the hard drive second.

Hope this helps. Like what I said, I'm no expert, this is all based on my own personal experience soo yeah good luck!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/solved-laptop-randomly-shuts-down-690148.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi,

My laptop keeps shutting down an restarting randomly. This happens when either on battery or when plugged in. I don't think it is from over-heating as the laptop is not too hot and this happens straight away when turned on. Also computer performance seems much slower and program are not responding. All windows updates are up to date and mcafee does not find any malware etc. on scans.

Appreciate any help,
Thanks!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/laptop-shuts-down-and-restarts-randomly-662041.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I think it gets too cold, now before you laugh lemme tell you what i've noticed on my laptop so far.

3 straight days in a row, when I use my laptop in the morning (when its very cold) and the coolant I use to keep my laptop even cooler, is a ghetto way by simply placing the latptop ontop an airfan. So for 3 days it shuts down randomly (no blue screen, complete shutdown) in the morning. Today the 4th day, I still kept it ontop the fan (for elevated free airflow on the bottom) but with the fan turned off, and it hasnt shut down at all.

What do you guys think?

I already know its not overheating.

A:I think I found out why my laptop randomly shuts down

I think you should stop starting new threads for your problems. You have already done so at least half a dozen times in the past few weeks.

Starting new threads for the same problem is a bannable offense: http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...ease-read.html

This is your final warning.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/236451-i-think-i-found-out-why-my-laptop-randomly-shuts-down.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I am using a Compaq Presario 2700T, 384 mb ram, 933 hz processor, XP Home Edition, service pack 1.

The computer simply shuts down randomly. I believe it may be due to something overheating. I hear what sounds like a fan running before it happens. Sometimes the fan seems to run a very long time, never shuts off. There is a soft sounding fan and then at times there is a louder fan that also seems to be running. Then suddenly, the power is off. No warning, no hesitation. Just off.

Sound familiar to anyone??

Harry

A:Laptop shuts down, powers off randomly.

same problem, same make..I'm researching if there's a recall on the power supply...I will however have the hardware looked at..I already tried to reformat..no difference..problem stayed..
Go to HP.com search the archive for Presario Recall...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-shuts-down-powers-off-randomly.288702/
Relevancy 65.36%

As above.

There will also be static sound. Usually that happens in the first boot in a few hours (cold start). Subsequent boot ups tend to be fine.

From the windows event log it's a Kernel-power 41 error (63).

It's a Toshiba Portege M900 running on Windows 7 (Intel Core 2 Duo, ) Any ideas what's wrong with it (e.g. motherboard or hdd?) I've just tested the RAM and the full test came out fine.

static noise then shutdown - YouTube

A:Help! Laptop (win 7) randomly shuts down during welcome screen

Anyone? :(

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/help-laptop-win-7-randomly-shuts-down-during-welcome-screen-633618.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Few weeks ago, i noticed my laptop battery was 23% remaining and it shut off like it had no power. i pressed the power button and it wouldn't start. In power plan settings i have 10% low level battery, 5% critical battery level and 7% reserve level with notification on, but i dont get notification before laptop shuts off. It's like the power's cut.
Yesterday same thing happened but it happened alot sooner at around 41%. i pressed power button, it didn't start.
any suggestion? thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/75701-battery-problem-laptop-shuts-off-randomly.html
Relevancy 64.5%

My laptop sometimes shuts off while doing stuff. I've had it for almost a year and it just started doing this the other day. Also, when I restart my computer it will hang before the Vista loading screen comes up, showing a black screen with a blinking underscore in the top left corner. It's pretty annoying and I would appreciate any help.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-laptop-randomly-shuts-off-and-sometimes-wont-boot-285221.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I got a new Acer E 15 E5-575G-53VG about a month ago and for the past two weeks when I use it on battery power it will randomly instintly shut Down and not want to turn on for more for 5 minutes until I let it sit for a while but when it is plugged in there are no issues it makes a little beep like if you were to hold down the power button, this laptop is less than a month old, what should I do? Its not a temputure issues because sometimes ill be playing tf2 for an hour with no issues and other times ill be just reading articles and it will instintly shut down with a little beep.

http://community.acer.com/t5/E-and-M-Series-Laptops/New-E-series-laptop-randomly-instintily-shuts-down/td-p/459635
Relevancy 64.5%

I have a Lenovo Y p and it's been randomly shutting off whenever I get into game Whenever it shuts off it's like pulling the plug on a Desktop computer it blanks out and doesn't restart or have crash logs etc I've done at Laptop of Shuts Off game opening Randomly my research etc I've been having a problem I know it's not overheating The CPU is normally at C or so and the GPU never passes around C or so Even if I let the computer sit overnight and then I turn on the computer it's fine when using Facebook etc I can have multiple tabs spotify iTunes etc open without any slow down or issues So for example the game I play is League of Legends and the client functions Laptop Randomly Shuts Off at opening of game fine and the game will load in but as soon as the game starts I normally tab out of the game and browse the internet while I wait for the game to load I tab in and almost seconds later it crashes I haven't had this problem before until just recently I'm running a W charger on my laptop so I don't think the power input could be the Laptop Randomly Shuts Off at opening of game issue I have a dead battery also so I've tried to run the game with and without the battery and the result is the same edit forgot to mention my graphics driver is up to date Any ideas as to what it may be

A:Laptop Randomly Shuts Off at opening of game

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Is the power supply an OEM Unit? Does it get hot when you're gaming?

Sounds like its getting loose or failing.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/laptop-randomly-shuts-off-at-opening-of-game-1028521.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Starting from around a week ago my VAIO VPCSA GG would randomly shut down as if the power is cut off then restart itself to seconds later Sometimes it would happen after 3 Laptop seconds itself down, randomly restarts later shuts I d used it for a while but other times it would happen repeatedly right when Windows is just booting up causing the computer to get stuck in a boot loop I ve ruled out many possible causes It s not overheating I ve monitored the temperature and the laptop would randomly shut down even when not in heavy use Also if the computer overheats it would normally shut down without Laptop randomly shuts down, restarts itself 3 seconds later restarting itself after It s not the hard drive or the OS The problem persisted even when I booted from an external device with the hard drive completely removed It s not the memory I ve done numerous memory tests and they never showed any problem I ve tried removing the memory card leaving GB of memory that s integrated into the motherboard but the problem remained The interesting thing is that the laptop would never shut down randomly when I m inside the BIOS menu or when I m running memtest In fact after running memtest for a while the random shutdowns would not happen again for a long period after at least minutes The problem usually comes back after the laptop hasn t been used for a while the next morning It s not the BIOS I ve tried flashing a new BIOS but the problem remained It s not the battery or the charger The random shutdowns can happen when running on battery or AC power even with the battery completely removed It s not the CMOS RTC battery Even with the main battery removed the clock didn t get messed up after hours The CPU seems to be getting stable voltage It would go up but never drop below V I ve run the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and it reported no problem Has anyone experienced the same problem I m running out of idea for possible source of this problem Is it likely just faulty main board Is there anything I can do to save my laptop Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Laptop randomly shuts down, restarts itself 3 seconds later

What version of Windows ? 32 or 64 bit ? Just to be sure it also shuts down when on battery power without the charger connected ?

As it seems to run ok in the Bios that implies a Windows problem so run it in Safe Mode (with Networking if you want Internet access) and see if it still shuts down then. Safe Mode uses only basic drivers so it could help find the culprit if it's a driver problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-randomly-shuts-down-restarts-itself-3-seconds-later.1170159/
Relevancy 64.07%

Recently I've noticed that my laptop has been shutting itself down after I put it to sleep Usually when I'm about to call it a night I put it to sleep as well Sometimes when I wake up in the morning I see that it's shut down so I have to turn it back on Then I see a warning that it was shutdown shuts down or while sleep mode freezes in Laptop randomly improperly I have run memory and processor tests and neither have come up with any issues My latest theory was that iTunes was causing the issue I use an airport express router which allows Laptop shuts down randomly or freezes while in sleep mode me to use AirPlay to stream from iTunes to my stereo I was under the impression that this could be the issue because I noticed a correlation so I began quitting iTunes before I put the machine to sleep This seemed to fix the issue but a similar issue has returned Although this doesn't happen as frequently sometimes when I put the system to sleep it takes a long time or just freezes up Also sometimes after the delay it will sleep only for a few seconds before waking itself back up I have no idea what to check at this point The last thing I did to it was upgrade it to an SSD in mid-December of Before that I upgraded the RAM in the summer of but that's it It's pretty heavy Alienware m x so it sits in my desk for the most part and I use my iPad instead during my classes If needed I can upload any crash info as requested The system specs are what I have listed as my configuration

A:Laptop shuts down randomly or freezes while in sleep mode

Shutdowns during sleep are usually blue screen crash related and specifically 0x9f. Try updating the airport express router drivers as they may be the culprit if they were in the past through iTunes. If they are already up to date, re-install them using the following procedure in case they are corrupted.
Click Start Menu
Right Click My Computer/Computer
Click Manage
Click Device Manager from the list on the left
Find the device you are trying to uninstall by expanding the appropriate set of devices
Right click the device
Click Uninstall (do not click OK in the dialog box that pops up after hitting Uninstall)
Put a tick in Delete driver software for this device (if this option is available, otherwise just hit OK) and hit OK
Restart your computer
Install the latest driver for the device once Windows starts.

Alternatively:Login as an adminstrative user.
Click Start Menu
Click Control Panel
Click Hardware and Sound
Click Device Manager (the last link under Devices and Printers)
Find the device you are trying to uninstall by expanding the appropriate set of devices
Right click the device
Click Uninstall (do not click OK in the dialog box that pops up after hitting Uninstall)
Put a tick in Delete driver software for this device (if this option is available, otherwise just hit OK) and hit OK
Restart your computer
Install the latest driver for the device once Windows starts.

Also, please follow the http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...tructions.html instructions in case there are blue screen crashes occurring. You may not see the crashes if the system is waking from sleep most to run a scheduled task and then trying to enter back into sleep mode or crashing during the call to wake.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/214226-laptop-shuts-down-randomly-freezes-while-sleep-mode.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I have had this problem for the last maybe 10 days, and I have even talked to customer service about it. On occasion, the laptop power cuts off at random.  The screen goes blank for about 15 seconds, then the system shuts down.  I can turn it back on, but I must verify my identity in Windows before I can proceed.  (That's why I mentioned the OS in the subject line). I chatted with customer service, which gave me a set of instructions to restart the battery.  However, I did not write those instructions down, so my attempt to reset failed.  The power cuts continue. I would like to see the instructions re-posted so I can make a note of them and try again. Thank you.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Legacy-Laptops-and-Netbooks/Laptop-power-randomly-cuts-off-shuts-down-Windows-10/td-p/455659
Relevancy 63.21%

Dear readers as the title states my laptop randomly shut down twice so far when the battery was inside but the AC power cable was in the computer The battery icon bottom left indicated that it was charged running on AC power on High Performance and when I was in a game it randomly went off Rebooted quicker than (when when randomly power is down running shuts inside) AC on battery Laptop usual skipping some of the startup processes it usually does when I manually turn it off The first time it did this the battery was Laptop randomly shuts down when running on AC power (when battery is inside) very hot even though it was running on AC This time it is not it is barely warm Another thing to mention is that both times after being back in desktop the battery would be quot available plugged in charging quot but it would not charge it stays at until I remove it and put it back in I am having a problem while playing games as well which we are discussing in another thread here http forums techguy org games -significant-fps-drops html And here is my original thread http forums techguy org games -large-fps-performance-drop-stuttering html post Hope someone has some insight on the matter Kindest regards Vadim Zinkovski nbsp

A:Laptop randomly shuts down when running on AC power (when battery is inside)

Hi,
Some batteries can't take the electricity constantly flowing threw them i suggest you take the battery out when you plug it in the wall and put it in when your on the go. You battery does work still when you unplugg it from the wall right? And im guessing when your battery starts to fail it switches to "power saver" mode instead of "high performance" mode.
so take out the battery and plug it into the wall, store the battery until well until you need it. Hope this helps.
Also could be the result of a faulty battery..How long have you had your laptop?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-randomly-shuts-down-when-running-on-ac-power-when-battery-is-inside.864646/
Relevancy 63.21%

Thanks for your interest Ok firstly from that picture it might have resulted from me have going on naughty naughty sites ignoring McAfee site advisor or me accidently clicking on an app in an un-legit version of Counter Strike Source called 'Bot ' I don't understand the Chinese Came up with 'In English speech converter' in Google Translator When I clicked on it command prompt appeared and I think it automatically did something The word 'Bot' seems suss Can a virus be activate via the command prompt From that could it lead to the hardware I've been experiencing random shutdowns Also this happened in the past days Before these bluescreens virus, and randomly down, shuts more... supply possibly power Laptop appeared McAfee Internet Laptop randomly shuts down, possibly virus, power supply and more... Security Suite was alerting that my computer is a risk But now for the past few days multiple scans and they're all clean Regarding power supply could there been NOT enough power supply with my laptop's Laptop randomly shuts down, possibly virus, power supply and more... hardware Which might possibly be one of the causes to my BSoD BSoD when using Traktor DJ software when an external Traktor soundcard is plugged in My laptop Acer Aspire V - G running Intel Core i - M GHz GB ram GB nVidia GT M graphics Windows OS -bit OS is just a few weeks old with year warranty Bringing it to the store which I bought it from for some testing Also have been getting these kinda screens a few times Would restoring the OS help at all I have been researching about the computer shutting down problem such as this Computer turns off without warning Any help would be appreciated Thanks

A:Laptop randomly shuts down, possibly virus, power supply and more...

First of all, we need your PC specs please?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/249297-laptop-randomly-shuts-down-possibly-virus-power-supply-more.html
Relevancy 62.78%

How to resolve DPC_watchdog_violation error? My laptop shutdown randomly, leaving all unsaved stuff. A blue-screen with this error appears. I am not a techy-savy but I really need help to resolve this. Thanks!

A:asus laptop randomly shuts down with a blue screen and error message

You'd best repost this issue in the BSOD section here. What you're experiencing is called Blue Screen Of Death, or BSOD. I have had the same issue before, I have a feeling it was to do with driver conflicts.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/asus-laptop-randomly-shuts-down-with-a-blue-screen-and-error-message-793106.html
Relevancy 59.34%

It all started when i opened some foreign file and it mustve been a virus or something. That triggered my computer to make these weird whirring clicky noises. Then my computer shut down. That day, i tryied to turn it on, it worked. However, the monitor didnt display anything. The computer was running but something to do with the bios just wasn't working.
Later on, my father fixed it.
However. NOW, the computer randomly shuts off by itself.
I'd start the computer on, and usually, the computer would start to make these noises similar to that of a computer reading a disc.
after the noises, the computer shuts off, and restarts by itself.
Anyone have any ideas?

A:Computer shuts makes busy noise then shuts off randomly

Your hard drive may be faulty. What is the make and model of the system and what is the brand of the hard drive inside the computer?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-shuts-makes-busy-noise-then-shuts-off-randomly.932373/
Relevancy 58.91%

So this time the problem started out as a simple issue Whenever I bump the desk or move the keyboard out with too much force the computer shuts off Everybody told me that it could have been a loose connection so I checked it all and replugged everything back in The computer starting working fine for about hours then it just shut off randomly while I was playing a game shuts off computer and around it any Power shuts off randomly, movement This time though it shut off without me bumping into anything SO is this a power supply issue I m using a -watt supply while running a GT This is the right power amount so that s not my concern And Power shuts off randomly, and any movement around computer shuts it off now the problem has gotten worse to the point where I turn on the computer and nothing shows up again Windows doesn t load and the screen Power shuts off randomly, and any movement around computer shuts it off is on too You here the fans and everything but nothing will load All my parts from my old issue were replaced EXCEPT the power supply and CD-drive I don t think it could be another loose connection b c now nothing even shows up Please help nbsp

A:Power shuts off randomly, and any movement around computer shuts it off

Have you tried plugging into a different surge protector and different outlet?

Sounds like you need to swap the power supply to me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-shuts-off-randomly-and-any-movement-around-computer-shuts-it-off.653308/
Relevancy 58.48%

I have an HP Envy that is about 2 years old and it is running windows 10. I have recently started noticing that it will shut off when I close the lid, it does not allow me to put it in to "sleep", and the battery runs down very quickly, while also getting very hot and it does not let me adjust the brightness level. It started doing this about 1.5 months ago and seemed to resolve when I did some sofeware updates. The problem has sense reoccured again twice. Is there anything that I can do to fix it on my own?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/HP-envy-shuts-down-when-lid-is-closed-and-runs-down-battery/td-p/5707508
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello First of all thank you for reading my post I recently discovered a Trojan on my computer and instead of going through the tedias process of getting rid of it I decided to wipe my hard drive and load a bit version of windows an upgrade from the previous bit version I had with the virus The installation went smoothly and down crashes shuts with screen Computer IE blue randomly. randomly. I began to download most of my drivers with no issues I even downloaded World of Warcraft with no issues I turned my computer off and got some sleep I returned only to see that my computer would keep restarting during the start up process So knowin a little about computers I shut everything down Checked and cleaned the inside of my PC Re-set the memory and reset the battery to reload BIOS I put IE shuts down randomly. Computer crashes with blue screen randomly. everything back together and it started up no problem Success NO As I began surfing the internet IE will randomly shut down and just keep doing it As I scrambled for a solution to this very annoying problem my computer would shut down sending me to a blue screen which states a bunch of stuff that I don t understand Being IE shuts down randomly. Computer crashes with blue screen randomly. the hands on guy I am I went back to search for a solution with the new information I figured that maybe BIOS wasn t updated or that I didn t have all the needed drivers downloaded yet So I went to download IE shuts down randomly. Computer crashes with blue screen randomly. some more updates and every time I go to download something I get a setup error or something that keeps the download from finishing So I threw my hands up and came here hoping that someone could save me some heartache and a trip to the computer store Any help is appreciated Again thank you for taking the time to listen and respond P S Please excuse any mis-spellings the ieSpell won t download for me nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ie-shuts-down-randomly-computer-crashes-with-blue-screen-randomly.968579/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi there I am here in bad need of help to figure out what is going on with my pc of late PC off up (sometimes). boots after randomly shuts randomly and A quick run down PC randomly shuts off and randomly boots up after (sometimes). of the problem When the PC is on it will depending on how long its been on will randomy just shut off When it shuts off it quot sometimes quot reboots but most often it quot tries quot to reboot but fails and then stays off After this failed try to reboot if I press the power button on the case and mobo nothing Now if I turn OFF the PSU leave it for a few minutes and come back turn the PSU switch on and press the power button the system comes to life for a second or two then dies and will no respond to the power buttons until I turn off the PSU again I have gotten it up and running from this state by leaving it off and unplugged for a couple of hours When I say the PC comes to life for a second or two I mean the case fans If I get it booted up the BIOS is reset to default for some reason Also if it makes it to windows the notification area icons also gets reset very very odd I have a short video of the problem sorry for the darkness I finally decided to video it and it was pm My first thought PSU dying or Mobo I dont have extra's so I cant test them Forgot to mention ive checked for heat problems but none of my temps are high they are all normal and its a Antec with tons of air movement I keep my PC clean but this problem I just cant solve Event Viewer shows nothing expect for unexpected shutdown My event viewer is clean from any errors also I do not get any BSOD and this is on a fresh Win install from late Jan Its been doing this thing now for a couple of months I am positive it is not a software problem https plus google com videos

A:PC randomly shuts off and randomly boots up after (sometimes).

Anyone have any suggestions at all?

I got the system up today and its running like as if nothing happened.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/218108-pc-randomly-shuts-off-randomly-boots-up-after-sometimes.html
Relevancy 50.74%

The main problem is the down New randomly shuts PC, PC will power off New PC, randomly shuts down instantly at random The power supply is about month old and was working flawlessly in a previous P system It is a corsair TX W New PC, randomly shuts down and when the computer is booted up all the readings are good The CPU is a -used- AMD Athlon x ghz w Socket am that has a stuck temp reading It will run at around c on idle on core core is stuck at c and will not move on New PC, randomly shuts down load or idle It has a pretty good scythe cpu cooler with a nice thin coat of AC The cpu temp on core will climb to about c on load in prime while core will remain at It wont get past minutes in prime without crashing It will simply power off all the way and has no beeps or errors when i reboot Some other specs on the PC would include Motherboard A G M RAM Mushkin GB DDR MHZ - - - Video Card ATI GB Pci Express CPU AMD Athlon x ghz W with Scythe pipe cooler HDD gb Sata gb IDE PSU Corsair TX W single rail amps OS Windows XP bit The interior is nice and dust free and has plenty of air cooling I m leaning towards the cpu being the defect It is the only item i don t have much history on and has a stuck sensor If anyone has any suggestions on how I can troubleshoot this or what they think the issue is I would greatly appreciate it nbsp

A:New PC, randomly shuts down

A simple thing to try and I am sure we are all guilty of is a loose connection, replug in every power connector with extra care. Try a different temperature monitoring program I use core temp, speed fan is another one. From what I can tell you have more then enough power(but im no expert).

The only thing I can think of is what you already posted, swap out your cpu and if the problem persists swap out your psu.

Or wait for a member with a higher tech level to answer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-pc-randomly-shuts-down.135495/
Relevancy 50.74%

Have no idea what is causing this it s happened three times today and has been occuring for two weeks Any help will be appreciated Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files COMODO COMODO Internet Security cmdagent exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Program Files Java jre bin jqs exeC Program Files Kontiki KService exeC Program PC shuts Randomly down Files Common Files LogiShrd LVCOMSER LVComSer exeC Program Files Common Files LogiShrd LVMVFM LVPrcSrv exeC PC Randomly shuts down Program Files Common Files Nero Nero BackItUp NBService exeC WINDOWS SOUNDMAN EXEC Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE cli exeC Program Files COMODO COMODO Internet Security cfp exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE CLI PC Randomly shuts down exeC WINDOWS system HPZipm exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files Common Files LogiShrd LVCOMSER LVComSer exeC Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE cli exeC Program Files Windows Live Messenger msnmsgr exeC Program Files Windows Live Contacts wlcomm exeC Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exeC Documents and Settings RS Desktop HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www pcservicecall co ukR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO no name - C C A-E - b - D - CECB - no file O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dllO - BHO McAfee SiteAdvisor BHO - B E -A B - A -B - CD E A FF - c PROGRA mcafee SITEAD mcieplg dllO - BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dllO - BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - E E F - CE- C -BC -EABFE F C - C Program Files Java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dllO - Toolbar McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar - EBBBE -BAD - B C- E A- ABECAE - c PROGRA mcafee SITEAD mcieplg dllO - HKLM Run Recguard C WINDOWS SMINST RECGUARD EXEO - HKLM Run SoundMan SOUNDMAN EXEO - HKLM Run ATICCC quot C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE cli exe quot runtimeO - HKLM Run COMODO Internet Security quot C Program Files COMODO COMODO Internet Security cfp exe quot -hO - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exeO - HKUS S- - - Run CTFMON EXE C WINDOWS system CTFMON EXE User SYSTEM O - HKUS DEFAULT Run CTFMON EXE C WINDOWS system CTFMON EXE User Default user O - Global Startup Catalyst System Tray lnk C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE CLI exeO - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C PROGRA MICROS OFFICE EXCEL EXE O - Extra button Research - B - CC- C -B BE- C C A - C PROGRA MICROS OFFICE REFIEBAR DLLO - Extra button Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exeO - Extra Tools menuitem Windows Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exeO - IERESET INF START PAGE URL http www pcservicecall co ukO - DPF C F A B-B B - A -B - EE B MessengerStatsClient Class - http messenger zone msn com binary Messe nt cab cabO - Protocol sacore - F E- B- E - B - E CC - c PROGRA mcafee SITEAD mcieplg dllO - AppInit DLLs C WINDOWS system guard dllO - Service Ati... Read more

Relevancy 50.74%

Hey guys im new and needed some help here. I recently encountered a problem with my pc like 5 days ago. My pc started shutting down by itself. It kept doing it.. sometimes it would get to the windows xp loading screen and keep shutting off... sometimes it would last from 5 minutes - 3 hours or so without restarting.. but it always does. I don't know if it could be a virus or maybe my fans dont work properly? I only have 2 fans in my computer which is all it can fit in. So any help is appreciated, thanks.

A:Pc shuts down randomly

I don't know if this is necessary but heres the cpuz or whatever it is.

----------------------
CPU-Z version 1.29
----------------------

CPUID Output
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of CPUs 2 (1 Physical)

CPU #1
APIC ID 0
Name Intel Pentium 4 540
Code name Prescott
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Family/Model/Stepping F41
Extended Family/Model 0/0
Package LGA775
Core Stepping E0
Technology 0.09µ
Instructions Sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Clock Speed 2793.0 MHz
Clock multiplier x14.0
Front Side Bus Frequency 199.5 MHz
Bus Speed 798.0 MHz
Stock frequency 3200 MHz
L1 Data Cache 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Trace Cache 12 Kµops, 8-way set associative
L2 Cache 1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 2793.0 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 256 bits

eax ebx ecx edx
Function 00000000 00000005 756e6547 6c65746e 49656e69
Function 00000001 00000f41 00020800 0000441d bfebfbff
Function 00000002 605b5001 00000000 00000000 007c7040
Function 00000003 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
Function 00000004 00004121 01c0003f 0000001f 00000000
Function 00000004 00004143 01c0103f 000003ff 00000000
Function 00000005 00000040 00000040 00000000 00000000
Function 80000000 80000008 00000000 00000000 00000000
Function 80000001 00000000 00000000 00000000 00100000
Function 80000002 20202020 20202020 20202020 6e492020
Function 80000003 286c6574 50202952 69746e65 52286d75
Function 80000004 20342029 20555043 30322e33 007a4847
Function 80000005 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
Function 80000006 00000000 00000000 04006040 00000000
Function 80000007 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
Function 80000008 00002024 00000000 00000000 00000000

edx eax
MSR 0000002C 00000000 0E120210
MSR 0000002A 00000000 00000000
MSR 00000017 00120000 00000000
MSR 000001A0 00000000 22840489
MSR 0000008B 00000017 00000000

CPU #2 (logical unit)
APIC ID 1
Name Intel Pentium 4 540
Code name Prescott
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Family/Model/Stepping F41
Extended Family/Model 0/0
Package LGA775
Core Stepping E0
Technology 0.09µ
Instructions Sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Clock Speed 2793.0 MHz
Clock multiplier x14.0
Front Side Bus Frequency 199.5 MHz
Bus Speed 798.0 MHz
Stock frequency 3200 MHz
L1 Data Cache 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Trace Cache 12 Kµops, 8-way set associative
L2 Cache 1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 2793.0 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 256 bits

eax ebx ecx edx
Function 00000000 00000005 756e6547 6c65746e 49656e69
Function 00000001 00000f41 01020800 0000441d bfebfbff
Function 00000002 605b5001 00000000 00000000 007c7040
Function 00000003 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
Function 00000004 00004121 01c0003f 0000001f 00000000
Function 00000004 00004143 01c0103f 000003ff 00000000
Function 00000005 00000040 00000040 00000000 00000000
Function 80000000 80000008 00000000 00000000 00000000
Function 80000001 00000000 00000000 00000000 00100000
Function 80000002 20202020 20202020 20202020 6e492020
Function 80000003 286c6574 50202952 69746e65 52286d75
Function 80000004 20342029 20555043 30322e33 007a4847
Function 80000005 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
Function 80000006 00000000 00000000 04006040 00000000
Function 80000007 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
Function 80000008 00002024 00000000 00000000 00000000

edx eax
MSR 0000002C 00000000 0E120210
MSR 0000002A 00000000 00000000
MSR 00000017 00120000 00000000
MSR 000001A0 00000000 22840489
MSR 0000008B 00000017 00000000
Chipset

Northbridge ATI ID5A33 rev. 01
Southbridge ATI ID438D rev. 00
Memory Type
Memory Size 2048 MBytes
Memory SPD

No SPD information available
Monitoring
... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-shuts-down-randomly.813409/
Relevancy 50.74%

I have a windows 7 vaio Sony PC . Every time I use it it shuts down at random times. I have looked in event viewer before it shut down and it seems to be event I'd 35 thats causing the problem please help

Relevancy 50.74%

K so I have a new pc Built myself and had a few problems getting PC shuts off randomly it to turn on Turns out I had to short two means that aren t even the power connector ones Anyway I got everything setup Windows blah blah I move it to my room from kitchen cause kitchen had better lighting for working conditions I turn it on and bam it shuts off after maybe - minutes Now I m thinking it could be cpu over heating It is hotter in my room I left the computer on bios and slowly PC randomly shuts off watched cpu temp climb At PC randomly shuts off about C it shuts off Is that an over heating temp It sits at that for a while before it shuts off I haven t updated drivers yet could that be a problem Build Cpu Intel i Psu kingwin w Motherboard asus p z - v lx Gpu radeon hd I also took off the heat sink after getting frustrated and taking everything apart when it wouldn t start did that PC randomly shuts off mess with the thermal paste It looks evenly applied When it shuts off it s just off no warning Please help nbsp

A:PC randomly shuts off

Take out graphics card and try again. Also, what do you mean by "Turns out I had to short two means that aren't even the power connector ones."

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-randomly-shuts-off.191246/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hey guys well i m sure you ve heard this problems before My PC keeps shutting off randomly for no reason And before you say its definetly not overheating I have a Thermaltake Xazer Wingo case which has more fans than you Shuts cpu... think randomly Down, my be PC might it can count Also i checked the CPU temp in the bios and when it was running on high load via a rd Party piece of software my AMD Althlon normally averages out at about degrees under load However now and then i can hear a strange PC randomly Shuts Down, think it might be my cpu... wirring noise coming from one of the fans it sorta sounds like the fan slowing down and speeding up again i think its either the VGA or the PSU fan Possibly the CPU i m not sure its hard distinguish between all the fans lol and a faint buzz coming from the Power supply Watt Colourlite Piece of cheap crap So my bet is that its the PSU thats dieing Wow this is the longest the PC has gone without shutting down As i m writing this i have the side of my case open and it doesn t seem be shutting off the Graphics Card i have in is a GT AGP which needs molex power connector if that helps Or could this just all be a software fault No message comes up and the PC runs fine no lagging or skipping but suddenly poof PCs off Do you think i might be able to claim a warranty on my PSU Just throw your opinions at me please nbsp

A:PC randomly Shuts Down, think it might be my cpu...

it is probably your PSU. you can buy a chaep PSU tester for around 12.00.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-randomly-shuts-down-think-it-might-be-my-cpu.51433/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello, this problem started since I bought my laptop (already has windows 10 on it)
It shuts down A LOT. The blue screen shows up sometimes but it just restart w/out the blue screen thing randomly!
I've been playing Sims 4 and it's really annoying because I have to save frequently for I am worried that it might restart again... it also does the drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr r. Do you know what I mean? HELP

http://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/45159-randomly-shuts-down.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I have been getting really bugged about this. For a long time now my XP Media Center Edition '05 has been shutting down randomly and I have done everything to try to solve it.I've tried a virus scan and I got nothing...
I've tried to clean the vents on my computer case with an air blower and I got nothing...
I've tried to clean the useless programs out of my computer an I got nothing...

I will try toOpen the case and clean the internal fans...
To clean all the dust around my computer...
To move my computer from the cramped space it has to live with everyday...

If you have anything you can think of to fix my computer please give it. I am so despite. Have any questions? I'll try to answer. THANKS!

You want some info here you go... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3182805

Need anymore?

A:XP randomly shuts down

tell about your computer, cpu, ram, harddrive size and free space. Also what video card.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-randomly-shuts-down-364057.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi there!

Just found your fab site and wondered if you guys could help me? I've just entered the world of burning DVDs but recently my PC has been shutting down and rebooting for no good reason - usually when during a DVD in Nero. I've done all the usual AV and malware scans, etc. and my system seems clean so I'm not sure what's going on.

I realise this isn't the forum for posting HijackThis! logs so won't here but if you could suggest any steps I should take I'd be very greatful...

Thanks in advance!
jay

Relevancy 50.74%

Hello guys I am new here and my name is Manny I have a problem with my Pc a very annoying problem It all Randomly, PC Off Help! Shuts started about a month when my computer decided to act weird I will describe the symptom in detail as follows I boot the PC as usual it loads up after a while the screen turns black the led on the Monitor blinks like if it were in sleep mode the PC led and PC stay on and PC Shuts Off Randomly, Help! then all of a sudden mins later it re-boots itself up I built this computer not so long ago months ago its a modest build just for family use I had Norton Anti-Virus and it did the same I uninstalled it and installed AVG and still does the same I don't know what to do at this point and I will gladly appreciate any help thank you in advance PS Here are the PC's complete specs OS Windows Microsoft XP Professional PACK Service Pack MEMORY G SKILL GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC Desktop Memory Model F - CL S- GBMQ HARD DRIVE Western Digital Caviar Blue WD AAJS GB RPM SATA Gb s quot Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive MEDIA READER LITE-ON DVD Writer - Bulk - Black SATA Model iHAS - LightScribe Support - OEM CPU Intel Pentium E Wolfdale GHz LGA W Dual-Core Processor BX E MOTHERBOARD GIGABYTE GA-G M-ES L LGA Intel G Micro ATX Intel Motherboard CASE Rosewill R -BK Black Computer Case W Power Supply PSS Also I have intalled the latest version of Speed Fan to see if it would help me read PC temperature but every time I click on the icon or try to run it in another way my PC does the same act it goes black and restarts PSSS I hope I have posted this thread within the right section

Relevancy 50.74%

My XP PC Shuts Off Randomly & Often. What could be causing this & how can I fix it?

ThankU, MAXINE

A:My XP PC Shuts Off Randomly & Often..

There are numerous factors that could be responsible for this to include hardware, power supply and even malware.One thing to do is run the MS Malicious Software Removal Tool to see if it finds anything.http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/30996/my-xp-pc-shuts-off-randomly-often/
Relevancy 50.74%

I have a PC that I have been trying to fix for years I BEG FOR HELP here are the specs MOBO Asus ROG Maximus III Formula https www asus com Randomly PLEASE ME Shuts PC off HELP Motherboards MAXIMUS PC Shuts off Randomly PLEASE HELP ME III FORMULA CPU I GPU AMD SERIES RAM GB of Patriot Sector ddr Okay so the issue is the PC will shut off randomly when idle searching web or watching movies etc no BSOD no warning shut OFF like u pulled the plug So first thing I did was replace the PSU and was PC Shuts off Randomly PLEASE HELP ME shocked it was still performing these random shut downs then I bought a new HDD and after installing OS and thinking everything was good POOF shuts off again so I got MAD and left this PC aside for a few months then I returned determined updated bios left PC idle in BIOS to see if it would shut down in BIOS randomly and the PC DID NOT SHUT OFF in BIOS so PSU is working atleast So I decided to install Linux on a USB and run a os through USB so the PC seems to not shut off when using USB OS but the moment I try to COpy a file to or from HDD POOF this made me mad and i left the PC aside for a few more months here I AM TODAY trying to get this thing going for the last time I went online bought a PCIE Sata Controller Card thinking that the issue is with the On Board Sata controller So i got the sata controller in got the windows going installed gpu drivers everything was looking great I WAS HAPPY and then it happen POOF i am now mad again but this time I am asking for help I have bought a new HDD and PSU also tested different RAM bought a pcie sata controller card updated all drivers bios all temps are great nothing is getting hot or failing when running prime and furmark I can Repeat the issue buy transferring Large files to the HDD other then that it will randomly shut off nbsp

Relevancy 50.74%

Hi,
My laptop, which runs on Windows 7 Ultimate, has begun shutting off for no apparent reason. It started a few days ago and was shutting off when I was on the internet sometimes. I also got a certificate error on my banking website, which I tried logging into from another computer and didn't get the error.

Thinking I might have an infection, I began trying to run different programs as follows:
1. Windows Security Essentials - Will run a Quick Scan, but shuts down computer about 1/4 of the way through Full Scan.
2. Malbytes - Shut down computer about the same place.
3. AdAware - Shuts down computer 1/4 - 1/2 way through.

I would greatly appreciate help finding this bugger & getting rid of it!

Thanks

A:PC shuts down somewhat randomly

Hello,Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.Once the proper logs are created, then post them in a reply to this topic by using the Add Reply button.If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the post and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the reply and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.Please note that I am not a member of the Malware Removal Team and will not be assisting you in removing the infection. I'm simply helping you to post the information they need in order to assist you.If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.Orange Blossom

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/426208/pc-shuts-down-somewhat-randomly/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hey there Little bit of a noob well I lied I m as green as they get BUT As seeing from the title I have posted I have a little big issue First Here are my specs for CPU Shuts Randomly Down my CPU Dell XPS Intel Core Quad Q GHz GHz GB of RAM NVIDIA GeFORCE GTS I m not too familiar with any other specs for my CPU but if needed to find I will do my best The issue is that it just shuts down CPU Shuts Down Randomly randomly I did A full scan and I don t seem to have any issues with malware viruses etc Before it shuts down there is no message that warns me of it no quot Attention quot or quot script quot error message as well I had just bought this CPU last November I still have my warranty and I have called but still no avail They quot need more info quot but I m not the greatest on detailed descriptions sometimes Extra Notes - My power bar is pretty lame Need a new power bar supply - I tend to keep my cpu on for hours at a time - I don t defrag as much as I should - I have a lot of the latest first person shooter games on my cpu - I m not familiar with cooling system perhaps I should buy one Anyways any help would be appreciated Thanks a ton Alex nbsp

A:CPU Shuts Down Randomly

btw cpu is short for Central Processing Unit, not for computer.

I would recommend checking the ventilation to the system and check that all the vents on the case are free of dust.

Check to see if its not getting too hot.

Does it shutdown after being turned on after a long period of time?

Don't open the case just yet as this may void warranty? You might want to check this.

Regards,

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpu-shuts-down-randomly.97770/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi all,

For over 2 years my pc shuts down randomly. 3 months ago I took it to a pc repair shop and the techy analysed it and said it was not a hardware problem, but a software problem, he changed windows and added a new C drive. The pc still shuts down, but around 50% less than before I changed windows and added the new drive. Randomly as in it would shut down when videos are playing, when its all quite and in between. I have no idea what's bugging it. I do not suspect heat issues, but it could be the culprit. Thanks in advance.

A:Pc randomly shuts down

This seems to be a driver issue or Overheating as you have mentioned it yourself.

Try to download the latest driver from http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
or if it is due to overheating,try and keep your PC clean and make sure your PC is not in a hot surrounding like exposed to sun from a window that could also cause overheating.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-randomly-shuts-down.1085439/
Relevancy 50.74%

I just got my PS4 a few days ago and it wasn't until now that I was able to start playing with it. At first, while I was setting it up, it would shutdown while I was trying to find information about particular functions. I didn't think anything of it at the time. Now that I've finished setting it up, it will freeze and shutdown if I'm doing something as simple at looking through the menus on the main screen. I found information about how update 2 was causing problems and that update 2.01 fixed that. However, I have update 3.11.

So, before I return it and hope the second one doesn't have a problem, any solutions?

Relevancy 50.74%

HI All IM wondering if anyone can solve this puzzle for me I built this pc and it was running really well until i changed the graphics card from a hd radeon mb to a radeon gb Now it randomly shuts off Now obviously the thing to do to solve the following problem would be to change them back BUT the problem persists I have changed the memory from ocz gb value stick mhz to gb hyper X mhz Pc randomly off. shuts to make sure it wasn t bad memory Ive added an exhaust fan that sits directly under the gpu fan and an mm system case fan that sits directly in the vent path of the Zalman cpu cooler that i have My specs are OS Version Microsoft Windows Ultimate bit Processor AMD Pc randomly shuts off. Athlon tm X Dual Core Processor AMD Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card ATI Radeon HD Series Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB E Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd M PME-S P Antivirus McAfee VirusScan Updated and Pc randomly shuts off. Enabled Im running sata hdd s tb and tb a Dual Sat Card a dvd re writer It will randomly shut down whether its at rest or hard at work watching a movie It will sometimes drop the usb from usb down to usb then shut down and other times it will give no warning I have to unplug it from the socket for between seconds and hours As soon as i plug it back in it will fire up without me having to hit the power button and upon booting into windows i get an error message saying that windows explorer had shut down unexpectedly Ive changed win from premium upto ultimate to eliminate software problems and i have no viruses on the system I ca only think that it my be the PSU or Processor Any adice is welcome on this problem Regards Sal nbsp

A:Pc randomly shuts off.

u don't mention power supply.............. try another

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-randomly-shuts-off.972464/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello,

On my Windows XP Home Edition every so often I get a Pop-Up with a countdown clock saying that Windows is shutting down and it mentions NT/Authority\System

Thanks if you can help me out with this.

A:XP Randomly Shuts Down

I trust you have an up-todate virus scanner installed on your system, your problem is very likely to be the MsBlast virus. You can download the fix tool from....
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

Also if you go to Start : Run and type....
services.msc
In the window that appears Scroll down to 'remote procedure call (rpc)' and double click, under the 'Recovery' tab, change the responses from 'restart the computer' to 'restart the service'.

Hope this helps !

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-randomly-shuts-down.215096/
Relevancy 50.74%

Specs:
AMD x2 6400
2x 2G DDR2
WD 250G 16M
ATI Radeon 1950Pro
Vista Ultimate x64

My computer has started shutting off randomly within 5 mins of startup. By shutting off, I mean it just turns off...no BSOD, no errors, just turns off...at random intervals that are usually within five mins. I updated my display drivers a few days ago, and they're currently at the highest version, but it's been a few days, and this just started this morning. It seems to be fine in safe mode (which I'm in now to post this)...which leads me to think it is, in fact, display drivers...but they're up to date, I have no solution there...now what?

A:Randomly Shuts Off

Sounds like a PSU issue. Check and double check all internal power connections. If that doesnt' work, then the next step is to get a hold of a spare/second Power Supply and swap them out to test.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/132443-randomly-shuts-off.html
Relevancy 50.74%

So my computer did this twice now within like a week or two The computer randomly shuts down but only partially The computer monitor would shut off so would the keyboard but the mouse would stay on and so would the tower light but it sounds like its powering down I would sit their the monitor wont come down randomly shuts Pc back on or anything and the computer sounds like its running in sleep mode or something buts it is not I hold the button to turn it off but it wont shutdown all the way In the end I have to turn it off by the back switch I then went to turn it back on but like half the Pc randomly shuts down pc turns on tower light but no montior or keyboard My cpu tends to get a bit hot c because of the bad stock fan but its only about a month old Please help Does anyone know what the problem could Pc randomly shuts down be Should I get a new cpu fan nbsp

A:Pc randomly shuts down

First, you say it randomly shuts down. Do you notice if it shuts down doing particular things more than others?

We need to know your hardware, particularly your processor but also your power supply's make and how much wattage it is designed for.

If it is a heat issue then heat will shut down a system fast.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-randomly-shuts-down.205590/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi All,

My PC randomly shuts down by itself, what info would you guys want from me in order to help with any investigations?

Cheers,

C h r e d g e.

Relevancy 50.74%

I'm having the same problem. Seems my system used to shut down (partially, leaving lights on) after about an hour. After having switched the power supply yesterday, I found it stayed up for almost 8 hours before shutting down. I was sure I had the problem solved. Now I've stayed up for about 6 hours in Safe Mode. I don't know how much longer that will last, but it's still better than the 45 minutes to an hour I was getting before. Yikes. There are a few other posts about this issue on this site.

Moderator note: Moved from this thread: http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-randomly-shuts-down.205590/#post-1455129

A:PC randomly shuts down

Hi Dana. I would suggest that you go to our Virus and Malware Removal forum because if you can run in safe mode that means there is the potential that your system is infected (or it could be due to registry corruption or driver conflicts). It is absolutely essential that you read and follow the 2 stickies at the top of that forum posted by Julio and that you follow the instructions as given.

Also, systems shutting down after awhile can be an indication that you have a heat issue and high temps will shut down a system fast. Is there any dust built-up?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-randomly-shuts-down.208742/
Relevancy 50.74%

My computer which is an HP Compaq 8000 Elite (bought refurbished) with Windows 7 Home Premium. It shuts down all by itself at random times. It doesn't matter what I am doing or how long I have been on, it just shuts down whenever it wants to. Can you tell
me if this is a problem with the computer or something else?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/159589fd-0ad8-4f1e-88c7-a359b98181cc/shuts-down-randomly?forum=w7itproperf
Relevancy 50.74%

So I had this a 2 days ago, and I fixed it by just randomly plugging in and unplugging my video card and my vga cable. My pc was fine for 2 days.

And today, a new problem came up. My pc kept shutting down randomly, even without doing anything. But the first 2 encounters were just me browsing the internet.

What might have caused this? It's not an overheat I know. Can anyone tell me what parts/factors might be causing this?

PC Specs (in case it helps)

Palit GeForce 9400GT 1GB 128Bit DDR2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.7GhZ
2x 2GB Strontium DDR2 RAM
BIOSTAR NF615 Micro AM2 Mboard
Hitachi 500GB HDD
PSU is 550W, I don't know what brand.

It is a 5 year old desktop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, please help. Thanks!

EDIT: Checked the Event Viewer, seems like i'm getting a Kernel-Power Event 41 Task (63) error

Relevancy 50.74%

its been just a month i bought this laptop hp pavilion 14-ab057 and i am facing numorous problms.firstly it gets down randomly while am doing some work ,it gets shut down ,next it some times the screen goes black totally.no message nothing  ,i have to restart it.And now a days when i restart it shows a message"the system has detected that the cooling fan is not operating correctly.continued operation is not recomendedSystem fan 90B'its within warranty its jsut 45 days old from the date of buying

A:randomly shuts down

Hi, Try to update the BIOS of your computer.  NOTE: Sometimes updating the bios mess up with the log in password of your computer. Before anything else, kindly remove the password or unlock the computer by pressing Windows button+R then type netplwiz then click okay. Then under user uncheck the box then type the login password then confirm it. Dont touch the user name. After the update just do the same instruction then put a check mark in the box to activate the login password again. Go to https://hp.com/support. Enter your computer's product number to the search bar and press enter Click Software and Drivers then click Go   Click version then select the operating system of your computer.   It will then show you the list of drivers you need. Just hover to BIOS then download it manually and run the driver.  Hope it helps.  

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/randomly-shuts-down/td-p/5603055
Relevancy 50.74%

If I play games that take up the full screen or watch videos that my PC will shutdown withing - minutes When I turn it back on it starts making a beeping noise for about seconds then reboots CyberpowerPC Gamer Infinity Desktop PC Core Quad Q GHz GB DDR GB HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GT Windows Home Premium -Bit PC shuts randomly down Logfile PC randomly shuts down of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode PC randomly shuts down Normal Running processes C Users user AppData Local Google Update GoogleUpdate exe C Program Files x AIM aim exe C Users user AppData Local Google Update GoogleCrashHandler exe C Program Files x MyWebSearch bar bin MWSOEMON EXE C Program Files x Pando Networks Media Booster PMB exe C Users user AppData Local Akamai netsession win exe C Program Files x Voobys Voobys exe C Program Files x Common Files Adobe ARM AdobeARM exe C Program Files x Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files x iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files x LogMeIn Hamachi hamachi- -ui exe C Program Files x SweetIM Messenger SweetIM exe C Program Files x SearchCore for Browsers SearchCore for Browsers datamngrUI exe C Users user AppData Local Akamai netsession win exe C Program Files x DAEMON Tools Pro DTProShellHlp exe C Users user AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users user AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Windows SysWOW rundll exe C Users user AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users user AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users user AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users user AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users user AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files x Trend Micro HiJackThis HiJackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www searchqu com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C Windows SysWOW blank htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook no name - A FAF - E- cf- - F A D - C Program Files x MyWebSearch bar bin MWSSRCAS DLL R - URLSearchHook SweetIM ToolbarURLSearchHook Class - EEE C D- - DC- C - C - C Program Files x SweetIM Toolbars Internet Explorer mgHelper dll F - REG system ini UserInit userinit exe O - BHO MyWebSearch Search Assistant BHO - A FAF - E- cf- - F A D - C Program Files x MyWebSearch bar bin MWSSRCAS DLL O - BHO mwsBar BHO - B EA -A - -B BB- DE CCA - C Program Files x MyWebSearch bar bin MWSBAR DLL O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO Conduit Engine - F B -B - - B- FBA BD D - C Program Files x ConduitEngine ConduitEngine dll O - BHO no name - C C A-E - b - D - CECB - no file O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files x Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO BitTorrentBar Toolbar - c f aa-f f- c- f e-b d a - C Program Files x BitTorrentBar tbBitT dll O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files x Common Files Microsoft Shared Wind... Read more

Relevancy 50.74%

Hi. I have a personal computer running in windows 7. I am unable to use for 1 month now because it randomly shuts down. If I leave it opened without using it, it won't shut down. But, if I use it like surfing the net or using photoshop, it will just shut down randomly.  I tried to use it on safe mode and what I did was just to uninstall programs but then it still shuts down. 

What should I do?

A:Randomly shuts down.

Hi, please run Minitoolbox with the last 10 events checked, and copy and paste the result in your reply.

TsVk!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/538355/randomly-shuts-down/
Relevancy 50.74%

My 4 month old computer is randomly shutting down while I am working on it. Typically it happens in the evening. It has happened while plugged in and on battery power. I have taken it to Geek Squad and they found nothing wrong with it.  We have done our own troubleshooting and nothing seems to fix it! HELP!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Shuts-down-randomly/td-p/5598600
Relevancy 50.74%

Using a 550watt Antec Neo HE550, system built 5 years ago and PC will shut down at random times, although when it does start to just turn off, it will do it sometimes over and over and other times I can run the machine all day with no problems, I believe it is the PSU but not sure.

OS Linux Ubuntu

A:Is my PSU going bad? PC shuts down randomly

If I need to get another one, which one - I don't want to spend over 40-50 dollars, I know it is cheap range but with all this KVM stuff, it is getting expensive. Like I said, 5 year old, was the best you could buy at the time and the machine runs good but I wanna do a whole new system soon so this is just to keep it going.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-my-psu-going-bad-pc-shuts-down-randomly.146875/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hey first post here having problems with my PC I m fairly decent with computers randomly shuts PC down and I m pretty sure I ve got the problem figured out but I don t have a lot of money so I want to fix it on the first try When I boot the computer up it shuts down during the Windows loading screen Twice it did make it to the log on screen but as soon as I clicked my username it shut down I thought maybe it was something to do with the outlet I was using or the cable I had so I tried every outlet multiple power strips switched power cords no go However when I removed keyboard mouse etc it would last a little longer before shutting down I took it up to my second floor thinking perhaps it was still just the outlet this house isn t wired very well several outlets have issues and plugged just the tower to the strip up there No peripherals monitor nothing but the power cable I watched it and it lasted a much longer time or minutes but then shut off My guess is that my power supply is dying but I thought I d ask you guys just to verify this before I spend what little money I have on a PC shuts down randomly new one only to find out that wasn t it college kid poor you PC shuts down randomly know the deal Was working just hours ago shut it down and when I came back this was what I got I m hoping you guys verify what I think or perhaps suggest something non hardware related that won t cost me anything to fix Details Windows XP most recent SP and all drivers up to date No recent installations of any software including malware virus I ve seen what that s done to my less wary family members so I m very on top of things in that regard No new hardware installed No error messages during POST If you need any more information I ll do my best but I can t really get anything within the computer itself of course Thanks in advance for your input everyone Edit Also if everyone agrees that its the power supply or I decide on my own to replace that I may ask for some suggestions for a new one if anyone here can provide help with that Edit Just powered it up again had the tower laying on its side and I emptied my last can of air getting as much dust as I can out of there especially around the power supply itself It actually let me log in this time everything loaded and I thought perhaps clearing the dust fixed it the fan was making a weird noise and then it sped up quite a bit and got a lot louder before shutting down also I have a fan speed temp thing on the front of my case it says the fan is going rpm which its not it normally runs at rpm My CPU is also water cooled and the tubes are looking very cloudy there s like a large cloud right in the middle of one of the tubes Might that be preventing my CPU from being cooled and so automatically shuts the PC off I may wait to buy a new power supply until I clean the tubes that may be my problem

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/199370/pc-shuts-down-randomly/