Windows Support Forum

Dual boot Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8 Pro partition issues

Q: Dual boot Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8 Pro partition issues

Good afternoon I want to install Windows Pro x on a newly created primary partition for testing purposes in a dual boot windows Pro x however my hard drive is already partitioned into C and D D basically has all my data on it What I noticed was that my D partition is also marked as primary don t know how that happened Booting from the Windows disc I choose to custom install which should issues 7 Dual and 8 partition Windows Pro Windows Pro boot give me the option to install on the newly created partition F Dual boot Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8 Pro partition issues but this does not show up in the available partitions to install on I thought maybe by converting my Dual boot Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8 Pro partition issues D partition to a logical drive extended would fix the problem but this just results in the D partition no longer showing up in Windows This is all a little embarrassing as although I haven t set up a dual boot machine for years I should know where I m going wrong think age is catching up with me I d appreciate some assistance with fixing this issue please Oh just as a footnote I decided to take GB or so from D partition to create the new F partition this and formatting etc was done in Aomei Pro as it was the only one of a few softwares I tried that allowed me to not only see unallocated space but also create a primary partition I think there is a primary partition limitation as far as I recall although there are workarounds I don t care to complicate this further as I stated previously I only want to run Win for testing purposes Kindly Tek

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Dual boot Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8 Pro partition issues

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Dual boot Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8 Pro partition issues

Why would you leave out the drive map? Please follow the instructions given here for posting screenshot of Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

You can have 4 Primary partitions but would need to convert one to Logical to add any more.

The Windows 8 partition is way too small so I'd use Partition Wizard CD to borrow some space from C to add it to: How to extend partition easily with partition magic ? Partition Wizard video help.

You're also missing the System Flag which apparently should be on the partition marked Active. Run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times to see if it appears. This proves that the System is bootable and marks the partition booting the OS which will also be dual booting.

If after these changes the Win8 installation media doesn't see the target partition please post back a picture of what it does see. Where did you get Windows 8 media? How is it burned?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/343985-dual-boot-windows-7-pro-windows-8-pro-partition-issues.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi all, just picked up a Lenovo y700 laptop. Comes with Windows 10 home. Just checked the partition management and I am seeing 6 different partitions. EFI system partition, Recovery partition, Recovery partition, OEM partition, Primary partition (NTFS), and Boot partition (NTFS).

Normally I setup my my dual partitions C: OS1 D: OS2 E: Programs & Data or F: Data.

First wondering if my above way of partitioning the drive is still smart. The whole EFI system partition is new to me.

Also after searching for a bit I am unable to find a tutorial that addresses the above partitioning systems. Thoughts or helpful links?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/62864-dual-boot-windows-7-windows-10-tutorials-partition-setup-help.html
Relevancy 82.56%

I have disk with 3 partitions, XP (C) is primary, Win 7 (D) is Logical and (E) is Logical and a data drive. I used a dual boot program to choose which OS to use at start up. I did this to preserve XP apps in case they wouldn't work on Win 7. Now I want to delete XP and have Win 7 as the primary partition (C) and data as Drive D. I cannot change the current Win 7 D drive to a primary partition or change the current C to a logical partition.
I tried using EasUS Partition and it won't let me do what I want. I hope someone can understand what I am trying to do and help me out. Thank you

A:Dual Boot Windows XP(Primary) and Windows 7 (Logical Partition)

I would do a complete reinstall. Get your data off ( backed up ) wipe everything, make 2 partitions and install 7. All your partitions should be primary.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/261956-dual-boot-windows-xp-primary-windows-7-logical-partition.html
Relevancy 81.7%

Hi problem - 8 partition 8 RAW & boot Windows Windows Dual I have a nice work laptop which runs a custom Windows image The machine has an enormous hard drive and it struck me that it would be really good if I could dual boot it with a 'personal' image so that I can Dual boot Windows 8 & Windows 8 - RAW partition problem have my own applications internet etc on it The laptop is a Lenovo ThinkPad and it has a UEFI bios and I've not used these before The drive is divided up into various partitions including system recovery and 'OEM' It also has a small SSD GB although I'm not sure what this is for and it is also labelled as Dual boot Windows 8 & Windows 8 - RAW partition problem 'OEM' Dual boot Windows 8 & Windows 8 - RAW partition problem I tried shrinking down the main primary partition to give me a decent amount of space and then installed Windows on to it using a USB stick From the reading I had done it seemed that all I would need to do is install it and it would automatically set up a dual boot Everything seemed to go OK and sure enough I got the dual boot screen come up It would boot my new Windows perfectly but when I tried to boot the work installation it didn't load - it tried to do an 'automatic repair' which failed Looking at the partitions in diskpart showed it as simply a 'RAW' partition This was a bit of a problem as I now couldn't boot my work image at all After some playing around in the BIOS I found that the boot order had 'Windows Boot Manager' first and the hard drive itself listed second If I changed the order so that the hard drive was first I could then boot the work image but when I looked in the disk management screen my new installation showed as a 'RAW' partition So somehow the boot order seems to be causing one or other of the primary partitions to become unreadable which is presumably why it won't boot I don't want to break the work image if I can help it but I'd love the dual boot to work Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening and what to do about it James

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/71869-dual-boot-windows-8-windows-8-raw-partition-problem.html
Relevancy 80.84%

Hi,
It has happened to me twice...I accidentally deleted a partition and later found out that my system is dead....The only way I recover out of that is I reinstall Windows and then install grub again to recover the Linux partition. But I feel the delete partition is a very rapid process just taking seconds and in that I don't think files would be deleted, so I feel potentially I can recover the deleted partitions including the boot partition. But I don't know how to do it. Also now when the boot partition is deleted and the system is not booting up what should be done to recover the system and data?
Thanks in advance,
-pkd

A:How to recover deleted grub/boot partition in Windows XP(Dual boot system))

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-recover-deleted-grub-boot-partition-in-windows-xp-dual-boot-system.871174/
Relevancy 80.84%

Hi!
I installed DOS into 2GB FAT 16, then installed Windows 7 Ultimate expecting W7 to install itself in a partition with a drive letter other than C (just as XP had done in a previous dual-boot setting with DOS) But no, W7 has hijacked the C drive letter for itself.
How can I stop W7 from "stealing" from DOS, the drive letter C, for itself?

A:How keep DOS as partition C with dual-boot DOS & Windows 7 ?

I have to ask! Why do you need or want DOS? If it's for some apps then there is Oracle Virtual Box which runs under Windows 7 or even DOSBOX.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/207407-how-keep-dos-partition-c-dual-boot-dos-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 80.84%

Hello,

I have set up my machine so Windows 7 is the second OS on the dual boot and within the first OS i'm also able to open the windows 7 partition via VM software.

The problem i have is the VM software looks like different hardware to the Laptop so when i go from Physical windows to VM windows it asks me to re-register my copy of windows and vice-versa.

Has any one got any suggestions how i get windows to except that both hardware set-ups are the same machine? or any other way around my problem?

I do have the retail version so thought this would be ok.

Any help would be great.

Many thanks
Pete

A:windows 7 partition as Dual Boot and VM

Hello prldoyle,

Welcome to Seven Forums.

I was just wondering about this while answering another post. The problem is that the hardware in the VM is virtual hardware and not the hardware on your machine. Windows recognizes it as a different computer. I don't know of any way to convince it otherwise. What is the other OS in the dual boot? I believe the EULA says one copy on one machine if I remember correctly. Someone please correct me on this if memory fails.

Hope this helps.

Gary

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/56607-windows-7-partition-dual-boot-vm.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Hi I'm trying to do a dual boot with Win and XP The issue is I have Win installed first My partition table looks like this Win Win Page file Win XP Win XP Page File Games Programs Storage Dual issues boot XP, partition with I used Acronis Disk Director DOS to make the partitions the Win and XP ones are primary Win one active the others are logical I reformatted the Win XP partition in Acronis and set it as active then proceeded to install XP For some reason XP decides to install the boot files on the Windows drive instead of the Dual boot with XP, partition issues Active one which it is being installed to every time i e it installs the files to E but points it's installation to C so it never boots and as it also screws up the Win boot loader I end up not being able to boot into either OS Now today I tried to format the partition from Windows thinking maybe Acronis doesn't properly set it as a Primary partition or what not and guess what it did - it completely nuked everything after the Win swap file That's right it literally destroyed partitions with several hundred GB of data on them leaving quot Unnallocated space quot You can imagine the look on my face Anyway - thanks to Active Partition Recovery program I was able to get my data back intact but this is the last time I handle even the simplest tasks to Disk Management in Windows I've actually had Win wipe out pre-formatted partitions during installation as well what's the matter can't it handle more than partitions So in what way can I set up a dual boot with and XP without having to delete both OS's and install XP first Thanks

A:Dual boot with XP, partition issues

Hello quantum112.

If you are going to have XP installed first to the first partition then XP HAS to remain as "System, Active" for the install or you will have the issues you are having.

There is another very reliable partition manager (free BTW) have a look at these 2 tutorials at the links below.

Be sure to keep us informed.

Dual Boot : Create Partitions Using PWBD

Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/109523-dual-boot-xp-partition-issues.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Hi,

I have a dual boot scenario currently on an Intel 80GB SSD, with one partition as XP Pro, and the other is Windows 7, split 20GB(XP)/50GB(7).

The XP partition needs to be upgraded to Windows 7 for my wife's work remote access, and it will also include Office 2010 Pro.

Will I run into any issues dual booting into the existing Windows 7 partition after the upgrade, or should I just reinstall our personal Windows 7 OS after the upgrade is installed?

I have other hard drives to use as well if space becomes an issue, but I'd like to keep the existing Windows 7 install without starting from scratch.

Thanks

A:Upgrade XP partition to Windows 7 in dual boot

Only having 20g would a issue for you, hope this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/92828-upgrade-xp-partition-windows-7-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 79.98%

I have XP and Windows 7 64 bit both installed on my computer and want to delete the xp partition that I no longer use. The problem is that my XP partition is the primary, active and system partition! I really made a mess for myself when I partitioned my computer. Below is an image of disk management. XP is on D, 7 is on C. Thanks in advance!

A:Delete XP partition from Windows 7/XP dual boot

Try this.
Dual Boot - Delete a OS

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/314272-delete-xp-partition-windows-7-xp-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Hi,

I'm a newbie in Windows 8, linux, Partition....

I would like to use my new laptop with windows 8 pre-installed to the following:

Create a Dual Boot Windows 8 / Ubuntu
Create on my C drive (unique drive on my laptop):

*a partition for the system
*one for Windows 8
*one for Data and
*last one for Ubuntu OS

My aim is :

-to install VmWare on Windows 8 and run Checkpoint Splat with virtual machines to perform CCSA labs.

to install GNS3 on Ubuntu for CCNP labs but with GNS3 accessing files in the Data partition

I have a Toshiba Satellite with 750Gb and 8 Go RAM.

According to you what's the best size for my partitions?
Is there a better way to partition my C drive regarding my aim?

Best Regards

***I don't know if it's the right section, sorry for that. Feel free to move this thread in the appropriate section***

A:How to best partition the HDD for dual boot: Windows 8 & Linux

I think the partitions size depends on the further software you want to use and install.
So if you have a lot of software which is running under Windows system I would recommend choosing a bigger size for Win 8 partition.

However, since you?ve got a 750GB HDD, you could take 200GB for Win 8, 100GB for Linux and the rest of the HDD size you could use for Data.

By the way: I found nice YouTube video how to create a dual boot using Win 8 and Linux http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Yd2jK-7Jg

Greets

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?70387-How-to-best-partition-the-HDD-for-dual-boot-Windows-8-Linux
Relevancy 79.98%

Can anyone suggest or recommend a good partition scheme to have when dual booting XP x 7 Dual suggestions? Partition Boot XP / - Windows and Win x With XP I used nlite and had a VERY customized partitioning scheme that had programs on one partition music on another video and pictures on another and quot My Documents quot on Windows 7 / XP Dual Boot - Partition suggestions? yet another I Windows 7 / XP Dual Boot - Partition suggestions? wanted to keep partition sizes small for indexing purposes and to preserve data in partition got corrupt for whatever reason But I realize I went overboard I've got hard drives gb x gb x I'd like to keep the system data partitions SEPARATE from user data as much as possible I'd also prefer to keep program files data on a separate partition but I've heard this is not advisable and can lead to buddy systems Can anyone confirm this I'd like suggestions on how people would partition in my instance Right now I have XP Win partitions on one of the gb drives The other gb drive is split in half One of the drives is just one big partition and the other is also split in half What would you guys do And I'd like to keep it as simple as possible while at the same time keeping personal user program data on separate partitions Ideas I will post a pic of my Disk Management partition table for reference when I get home from work

A:Windows 7 / XP Dual Boot - Partition suggestions?

pic uploaded ... any suggestions guys?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/35234-windows-7-xp-dual-boot-partition-suggestions.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Hi I have a small query about this whole partitioning business I'm trying to set up a partition so I can dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu My computer came with a Dell Recovery partition and an OEM partition as well as the main C drive which are all primaries I've created a new logical drive which I've called Z with the idea being to install the Linux OS in that Ubuntu to dual-boot 7 a partition Windows up and Set chunk of the drive My first question First up I've formatted it as quot exFAT quot - is this the same as FAT Next question can I divide this 'Z' into smaller chunks with different formats or do they all have to be the same format I was hoping to be able to format a small bit of the drive into a Linux filesystem so that both OSs can be kept entirely separate from each other but leave the bulk of it as FAT so that I can see my files with both Set up a partition to dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu OSs If this is not possible what would be the best way to achieve the desired result Thanks for any help McG

A:Set up a partition to dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu

Hi McG, welcome to the forums.
I can't really answer your questions about Ubuntu, but I recommend you start by checking this thread at the Ubuntu forum. I would save it since you might come into those problems when trying to install Ubuntu in your disc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/45429-set-up-partition-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Hello,
I want to dual boot windows 7 and 8.
I have 4 partitions in my exisiting OS(windows 7)
C: 97 gb free space 20 gb
D: 292 gb free space 140 gb
E: 250 gb free space 10 gb
F: 296 gb free space 296 gb(its empty)

So my question is how do i partition it to dual boot win 8 and could someone also recommend the partition size for it.

A:Q] Dual boot windows 7 and 8, partition size?

Please post back a screenshot of Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image.

First decide if C is the right size and if not what size you would like it to be.

I would move your data to E and F so that you can adjust the size of D to make it the Win8 partition, since an OS can benefit from being closer to the left hand side of the HDD.

If these are all Primary partitions you can adjust each one's size by adding or subtracting as much space as is available to/from any other partition even if it's not adjacent, following How to extend partition easily with Partition Wizard - video help.

If you have Logical partitions then there will need to be some minor changes before you can do this. Either way I would post back the screenshot and let us know the sizes you prefer so we can walk you through it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/309281-q-dual-boot-windows-7-8-partition-size.html
Relevancy 79.98%

There was an old thread where someone asked how to remove XP Dual on Windows the boot same partition Uninstall one copy of Windows XP where were installed on the same partition and there were a couple of responses stating that they didn't think it was possible to install copies of XP on the same partition Well let me tell you that it is I just installed Windows xp Uninstall Dual boot Windows XP on the same partition pro on a hard dick which already had Windows XP Home installed and when it asked if I wanted to format the disk or leave the file system intact I chose the latter When the installation was complete and the computer restarted I was asked which copy of XP I wanted to start Home or Pro That was when I searched for an answer to how to remove one of them and came across that thread Well I could not find and answer to how to do it so I just reinstalled Pro and formatted the HDD My question is this is there a way to uninstall one version of Windows XP where they are both on the same partition

A:Uninstall Dual boot Windows XP on the same partition

Short answer - No.

You can only uninstall XP when it was an upgrade from a supported OS and the uninstall information is intact. This was not an upgrade so there is no uninstall option. The only way to reliably remove one installation is to do a clean install (with format) of the desired OS.

While it is certainly possible to install more than one OS on a single partition (that is the installer won't prevent you from doing it) this is not a supported scenario and the results will be unpredictable.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/uninstall-dual-boot-windows-xp-on-the-same-partition-584084.html
Relevancy 79.55%

New here but with some system build experience Thanks in advance for all replies I have a new i rig and was running XP SP on a single partitioned GB HD Using my GParted LiveCD I shrank the XP partition and allocated the remaining space to a new Win RC installation All went as normal I thought On restart I had the option to boot into either OS and was able boot into and set up and run Win successfully However when trying to boot into after partition, Win new XP boot issues install dual 7 for the old windows installation XP hung at the XP XP issues after new partition, Win 7 install for dual boot welcome screen and would not continue I ended up having to reload upgrade XP from the XP CD repair console and afterwards all programs data on the original partition thankfully seemed to be intact I then booted from the Win CD and repaired it's boot manager Now I am able to successfully boot into either OS But XP is now acting pretty sickly I get some errors at the XP desktop on startup relating to my Avast serial number being invalid and that Acrobat Pro is unable to find some of it's files I also cannot launch several programs due to missing DLL files etc I also tried to download amp install EasyBCD v beta which although it seemed to be fine also could not launch due to errors Question could the XP programs be looking for the wrong paths to launch i e C Documents and settings etc when in reality the XP partition has been assigned a new drive letter by GParted Interestingly when looking at the drives in Win the smaller Win local drive appears as C and the larger drive appears as D When looking at the drives while in XP the smaller drive also appears as C but the larger drive appears as E Any help would be appreciated - thanks again

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-issues-after-new-partition-win-7-install-for-dual-boot-415797.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Hello everyone!

I need help deleting the XP partition in my dual-boot system with Windows 7. I don't need to use de Windows XP OS and I just wan't to delete it. I must also add that I used the EasyBCD software to create the dual-boot menu, but I installed it in the Win XP OS.
Thanks in advance and appreciate your help.

I have attached a screenshot of my Disk Managment partitions.

A:I need help deleting the Windows XP partition in a dual-boot system

Boot into Windows 7 and type msconfig in the start-search box.Click on the boot tab and check if the windows xp is listed there.Open disk management,right click on XP partition and select delete volume.Make sure you back up all your data from the XP partition first.

Now open msconfig again,click on boot tab and delete the Windows XP from the list.Restart your system.If windows 7 doesn't boot up then try Start up repair Startup Repair to repair the MBR boot files.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/214448-i-need-help-deleting-windows-xp-partition-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 79.12%

So I've been trying to fix my broken hard drive that stopped booting was at it for Windows XP Dual partition on hall.dll second x2, Boot with error the whole Dual Boot with Windows XP x2, hall.dll error on second partition day today from am o o I split the drive into two partitions it was originally GB I took GB from the single partition using GParted and installed windows on the new partition Installs from the CD just fine but when I attempt Dual Boot with Windows XP x2, hall.dll error on second partition boot I get this Code Windows could not start because the following file is mossing or corrupt lt Windows root gt system hal dll Please re-install a copy of the above file First I reinstalled windows No biggie I hadn't even logged on yet Success I was able to log on but after my fourth windows update the one after sp the same thing happened Wasted two hours updating This time I tried to fix the boot ini to no avail For reference here's what my boot ini currently looks like Code boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot I tried all sorts of things tried replacing the hal dll and ntoskrnl exe files ran chkdsk TWICE once for each partition obviously I even took the risk and used fixboot and fixmbr Right now I just failed after messing around with EasyBCD no go with that either So now I'm stuck I've exhausted all the methods that I could find BTW I've ran some SMART tests on the hard drive and everything seems fine no bad sectors or anything But then again SMART isn't the most reliable thing to test with so if anything else is required just point me in the right direction Uhh I know I'm forgetting something Right my computer specs DELL Latitude D with a WD Blue Scorpio GB Hard drive I think that's it Oh and the funniest thing about this is the primary partition the one that had the initial broken installation miraculously fixed itself But I'm not going to give up on this second partition it definitely will come in handy

A:Dual Boot with Windows XP x2, hall.dll error on second partition

I think your initial insticts were correct; there's a problem with the HD.

Try the Western Digital diagnostics and see if it can find a problem with the HD.

Have you checked to make certain all your drivers are working correctly?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dual-boot-with-windows-xp-x2-hall-dll-error-on-second-partition-545080.html
Relevancy 79.12%

I'm a little embarrassed to say that I can't figure out which partition holds Windows 8 on my Dual Boot 7/8 system. I want to delete Windows 8 64 bit and reinstall Windows 8 32 bit, then update to Windows 8.1. I'm doing this because the system's old enough that 64 bit 8.1 won't install but maybe 32 bit will. I won't know unless I try.

Soooo . . . I need to figure out which partition Windows 8 is on so I can format the drive and reinstall.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

A:Dual Boot System - Which Partition Holds Windows 8

You will usually find there is a windows flag icon on the drive you are currently booted into.

Or check disk management for the word Boot on one of the partitions - that is the one you are currently in.

Or have a look at the partitions in windows explorer. 8 will have a thing on it called swapfile.sys (you need to have hidden and system files showing to see it ).

When you have figured that out, probably a good idea to label the partitions so you know what they are.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/34003-dual-boot-system-partition-holds-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 79.12%

I have to install windows 8 in an existing partition, do i need to format the partition first. What steps do i follow?

A:install windows 8 in an existing partition(dual boot)?

Hello rishabhg492

First, if there is any data in the partition you want to install Windows 8, move the data to another partition.

Second, boot up from the Windows 8 installation DVD and when it asks you to select a partition, choose the intended partition and that should do it.

Hope I could help

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/10294-install-windows-8-existing-partition-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Hi

My pc info -

AMD Athlon(tm) 5150 APU with Radeon(tm) R3

Motherboard Gigabyte AM1M-S2H
Northbridge AMD K16 IMC rev. 00
Southbridge AMD Kabini FCH rev. 7.2
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
Memory Type DDR3
Memory Size 4 GBytes

Windows Version Microsoft Windows 7 (6.1) Professional 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

DMI BIOS
vendor American Megatrends Inc.
version F2
date 06/20/2014

Hi

I have windows 7 installed on c drive.

I would like to dual boot with winxp.

I slipstreamed with AHCI driver.

When the windows xp installation menu loads to partition choosing page.

It shows my whole HDD as one partition.

The partition is like - Partition1 Unknown.

WinXP is not able to read the hard drive partition.

How can I fix this ?

Thanks and Regards

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/392657-dual-boot-windows-7-already-installed-win-xp-partition-unknown.html
Relevancy 79.12%

I recently bought a new DELL Inspiron laptop with Windows pre-installed on it I however want to dual-boot Windows with the pre-installed copy of Windows If I'm correct it uses UEFI I had to disable secure boot to boot into the Windows DVD and the hard disk is partitioned using GPT However during installation when the time comes to select the partition the error that pops up is this Windows cannot be installed to this disk The selected disk is of the GPT Partition Style But if Windows x supports booting from a GPT disk why is this error even coming up since 8... 7 Windows when trying Partition Error & to Style dual-boot GPT I'm already using a x Windows so why is this happening Also besides from that I tried another way to get around this problem by installing Windows on GPT Partition Style Error when trying to dual-boot Windows 7 & 8... a new hard disk using a powershell script from GPT Partition Style Error when trying to dual-boot Windows 7 & 8... within Windows The installation was unattended so it went fine - but when I tried to boot into Windows it gets stuck at the Starting Windows screen Why is this happening And how could this be fixed Will I have to reformat the entire HDD again as MBR GPT How can I fix this without doing that Found a helpful link but not quite sure what do with it http www eightforums com tutorials -downgrade-windows- -windows- -a html look at bottom when dual-booting with preinstalled windows and windows Also I don't want to delete all the partitions I want to keep the preinstalled Windows OS Any help would be appreciated

A:GPT Partition Style Error when trying to dual-boot Windows 7 & 8...

Windows 7-8 dual boot description...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/490122/gpt-partition-style-error-when-trying-to-dual-boot-windows-7-8/
Relevancy 79.12%

Hello I have Installed Windows XP like ages ago and then there was some error with the XP back then while booting up so I called up my technician He dual booted my system with Windows Ultimate I've stopped using XP since a while so after Dual XP partition removing Windows not from Boot Booting 7 I thought of removing I from my system The XP files and Windows were on two different partitions of same Windows 7 not Booting after removing XP partition from Dual Boot HDD So I used Minitool Partition wizard to remove Windows 7 not Booting after removing XP partition from Dual Boot the Partition in which XP files were there It even prompted a message saying that I may Windows 7 not Booting after removing XP partition from Dual Boot not be able to boot if I format the specific Partition I clicked on continue and it showed me that the specific partition is in use and the asked me to restart it and minitool will delete it by itself while restarting And after it deleted the XP partition my system can't Boot Windows now I just don't get it I've even lost my Windows OS DVD to try repair the OS Can anyone help me to Boot into my Windows without losing any data from that Partition

A:Windows 7 not Booting after removing XP partition from Dual Boot

Why didn`t you listen to the message ?

You deleted your Active partition now windows 7 won`t boot.

Your windows 7 partition must 1st be marked Active, then startup repair must be run to write the system files to the Windows 7 partition.

Without an install dvd or a system repair disc, you can`t do that. You can easily make a system repair disc on another Windows 7 PC, all you need is a blank cd and a cd burner. But it has to be the same bit version (32 or 64) and Service Pack version as the version you are trying to repair.

Others may have another method. They will post it.

Or call your Tech

System Repair Disc - Create

Startup Repair

Partition - Mark as Active

You can also make and use a Partition Wizard Boot CD

Bootable Partition Manger | MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable Edition

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/388248-windows-7-not-booting-after-removing-xp-partition-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 79.12%

I am going to install 2 versions of 7 on my HD. My question is.

If i install any files on one version of 7: updates, programs, patches, games etc.

Will the other windows 7 have access to these files? to change, alter and / or update them , any access at all?

Note:
"I am Dual booting on the same hard drive, on different partitions, not 2 HD's"

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/389564-dual-boot-2-windows-7s-partition-access-question.html
Relevancy 79.12%

No killed upgrade XP partition dual-boot 7 Windows really bear with me its not the usual gotchas I read about this a bit beforehand and followed techspot's basic upgrade guide Dual Boot Windows with XP Vista in Windows 7 dual-boot upgrade killed XP partition three easy steps - TechSpot My boot drive is a Gb Samsung spinpoint previously one whole partition containing XP This XP wasnt a clean install it was an upgrade to Windows I think and this may be the problem I have a number of other hard disks PATA and SATA which I am using for video editing stuff I downloaded GParted shrunk the XP partition to Gb and created a new Gb partition for Windows A bit small but I figured once everything was tested out I could grow out the Windows partition This was successful and I inserted the Windows disk selected custom install and installed to my newly created partition Windows did its reboots and I filled in the usual bunff to create basic accounts etc Then I rebooted and was a bit surprised I did not get the dual-boot menu it went straight into W Using F and F did not provide any further options specifically the 'Previous version of Windows' one Going into W Disk manager i could see the partition was still there I read other posts of what W does belately and yes it had 'hidden' the XP partition I gave it a drive letter D but W saw it as an empty disk I downloaded EasyBCD and it showed only one entry in the bootloader I tried to add a new entry using type quot Windows NT k XP k quot but the Drive was greyed out if I selected quot Vista Longhorn quot I could then change the drive to D and then change type back to XP odd I then clicked 'Add Entry' but it came back with an error message quot EasyBCD could not locate a copy of NTLDR on your hard drive Please download a copy of NTLDR and NTDETECT COM from Htpp blah blah and copy them to the drive D in order for your newly-created entry to work quot Does this mean my XP partition is truly trashed Is there a way to get back my XP partition I am thinking of maybe inserting the XP disk and repairing maybe it will detect XP and fix it but if it will blow away both my installations I might not bother Last resort is to use File Scavenger on the dead partition but when I checked it out in GParted again just now it said that Gb out of the Gb had data could it be that W has just not recognised my original XP partition as an XP partition thought it was its configuration partition and just overwrote stuff Please any advice gratefully received cheers Slaybells

A:Windows 7 dual-boot upgrade killed XP partition

First download the latest version of EasyBCD with automated diagnostics: Attachment 42143 Try again adding XP.

Then post a screenshot of your EasyBCD listings and full Disk Management drive map. Use Snipping Tool in Start Menu, attach files using paper clip in reply box.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/47059-windows-7-dual-boot-upgrade-killed-xp-partition.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Had win and XP working on dual boot with easyBCD for months Then had to wipe another drive so removed all connections in PC and wiped totally unrelated drive linked everything back up again and now windows won't boot up and the boot menu has gone I have three hard drives - Windows anymore 7 boot - booting XP partition dual Win and 7 not one backup one for XP and one with three partitions including win When i set the BIOS boot order to the XP drive it boots up ok when i set the order to win drive it gets to 'verifying dmi pool data' then asks for a boot cd I have rebuilt the MBR using partition wizard As you can see the XP drive is active and primary I cannot seem to set the win disk to be primary or active It also tells me Windows 7 and XP dual boot - Win 7 partition not booting anymore it cannot find a windows installation on the drive even though it is loaded onto E I have tried loading the win dvd and running the start repair several times but it does nothing I don't get what happened as all i did was remove all the hard drive connections then connect them back up a few hours later Any ideas I have spent four hours on it already and need help before i smash the thing up

A:Windows 7 and XP dual boot - Win 7 partition not booting anymore

fixed it! woohoo

this worked for me....

go here Visual BCD Editor - Windows 7/Vista
and get the VBCDE and follow instructions here Dual-boot Repair Windows 7/Vista
for automatic repair.

fixed my setup in half a second. machine booted back into windows 7 directly, then used easyBCD to add the winXP option to the boot menu and back in business. Both XP and Win7 on boot menu and both working fine. Woohooo!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/222044-windows-7-xp-dual-boot-win-7-partition-not-booting-anymore.html
Relevancy 79.12%

I have a pre-installed Win7 machine.

I recently made a dual boot system to add Xp however I no longer need Windows XP.

Please can you let me know how to safely remove the XP partition?

A:PreInstalled Windows 7 - Remove a new XP Partition From Dual Boot

Hello pittering, welcome to Seven Forums!

The best, easiest way to remove XP and all of its code (a format will not do this) is to do a partition-specific wipe (secure erase) to the XP I: drive using the free Partition Wizard Home version; install the Partition Wizard program to Windows 7 to run the wipe from there, there's no need to boot to PW; the first link is the program download and the second is a tutorial to show an outline of the wipe process at Option Three; just be sure to do the correct partition.

Partition Wizard Home Edition

Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD

Be sure to post back with any further questions you may have and to keep us informed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/137665-preinstalled-windows-7-remove-new-xp-partition-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Hi everyone, I just created dual boot with both Windows 7 home edition and Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Both windows also original license. I want to use another Windows 7 for testing purpose, but I don`t want to use virtual machine. After I installed the Windows 7 Professional, I able to see another partition windows 7 from My Computer. Is there any way to hide another partition from My Computer or disallow to access to it? If one of my Windows 7 got virus will it affect to another Windows 7 as it can access to another Windows partition?

A:Dual Boot both windows 7 in same hard disk different partition

Can you post a screen shot of Disk management?

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/270771-dual-boot-both-windows-7-same-hard-disk-different-partition.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Hi Windows users I Windows Partitioning. Dual-Boot has partition. active am considering triple-booting with -Windows primary and default operating system -Windows wanna use app-tools -Ubuntu virus free and can be used incase of system failure This involves creating more partitions I am no expert in partitioning and I freak out when it says Bootloader not found which I had last night when Dual-Boot Partitioning. Windows has active partition. I did a driver update its another story This morning I've cleared out about gb ready to make Ubuntu and Windows This is my planned setup -E Drive Ubuntu gb -F Drive Win gb Only problem is I already have primary partitions and the boot partition is the Windows one in the forum thread Can Not Creat a Primary Partition to Install Windows CP The primary partition was the system one This is a very similar case to mine our laptop model's are even the same except my diskmgmt msc looks like this Where my active partition which loads first is Windows I don't have any hardware such as GParted or a backup computer to seek help incase I get an invalid boot again so I really hope this works out Any more information just ask

A:Dual-Boot Partitioning. Windows has active partition.

Have you make the HP OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks for Windows 7?

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/38946-dual-boot-partitioning-windows-has-active-partition.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Last week i try to instal a dual-boot system windows xp on windows installed i couldn't shrink the disk c from manage it said something about defragmentation i Installing issues windows windows 7 on xp dual-boot have disk drives with no partitions the disk c it has with GB free to create a new partition with GB i know that easeus partition will help me because i did do this once but was dual boot windows on a windows xp installed i made one partition with gb from C with easeus partition then i restart my computer and easeus made his proces after a moment - gt restart and then i should put the Installing dual-boot windows xp on windows 7 issues windows in the dvd-rom but the system was blocked like this http img yfrog com img jpg del tab Installing dual-boot windows xp on windows 7 issues was not working - gt restart again but this time i push del fast to go to bios but i didn't go to bios it made his usualy components verification everything was ok and then was blocked there I made my decision to go to a friend to format my hard drive instal athe windows on the disk and everything was ok on his pc so to explain i record my problem now my english sucks On my pc it remains the same probl but i could reinstal my windows windows xp and i have this problem on my startup MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service the first half is a delay the last half is when i restart to go to bios

A:Installing dual-boot windows xp on windows 7 issues

Welcome!

I don't really understand your problem, but try pressing F11 during the POST. The manually select your drive from the resulting window.

Hope this helps,
~JK

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/54999-installing-dual-boot-windows-xp-windows-7-issues.html
Relevancy 78.26%

I have two partitions on my HDD. A 'suspect' Windows 7 Home (that originally came with my 'refurbished' second hand laptop) is installed in the only Primary partition. A legitimate copy of Windows 7 Professional is (now) installed in an Extended Logical partition. My laptop boots up in Windows 7 Professional, if no other selection is made. I now wish to remove the suspect installation, and revert to having just one partition containing my Windows 7 Professional, without formatting the whole HDD and reinstallng/restoring everything currently on the second, logical partition. Is this possible, and if so, how?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/399417-removing-windows-7-primary-partition-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 78.26%

I have two partitions on my HDD. A 'suspect' Windows 7 Home (that originally came with my 'refurbished' second hand laptop) is installed in the only Primary partition. A legitimate copy of Windows 7 Professional is (now) installed in an Extended Logical partition. My laptop boots up in Windows 7 Professional, if no other selection is made. I now wish to remove the suspect installation, and revert to having just one partition containing my Windows 7 Professional, without formatting the whole HDD and reinstallng/restoring everything currently on the second, logical partition. Is this possible, and if so, how?

A:Removing Windows 7 from the Primary partition of a Dual Boot system.

What kind of BIOS you have? UEFI or Legacy (MBR)?
Can you give us a snapshot of disk manager?
Do you have a external HDD to make a backup image of your Win 7 pro partition?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/399417-removing-windows-7-primary-partition-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Hi guys, my hd is gone. It was on a notebook. Thanks god I had a image system backup few days ago.

Now... I'd like to dual boot that system on my desktop running Windows 7 and dual boot them.

So can I reduce the size of my desktop hd, and then restore the system image from my laptop to that partition?

How can I dual boot them?

THank you

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/381149-restore-windows-7-system-image-2nd-partition-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Hello Windows Seven Forums,

I have to hard drives in my desktop. One drive has Windows 7 which I'm going to back up to the second hard drive of other partition. The second hard drive have dual boot OS its default is Windows 8.1 and second is Windows 7. This Windows 7 is the same with the other one I'm going to back up but not the installed apps. When the time the back up is done, I want to replace the second Windows 7 of dual boot drive completely. The result will have 1T bytes hard dive run in my desktop only with dual boot Windows 8.1 still is my default and a new replaced Windows 7.

In my view, the same windows back up tutorial provided in this forum to take its way.

Thanks

A:Restored Windows Back Up To Another Partition Of Dual Boot Drive

It's done for back up but I'm having a problem the partition. It will restore the back up in Local Disk C which I don't want to place there. I haven't seen Local Disk D in repair disc I created when loaded from BIOS set up went on. Does anyone knows how can I restore it in Local Disk D only?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/349808-restored-windows-back-up-another-partition-dual-boot-drive.html
Relevancy 77.4%

So I followed the tutorial here for installing a clean version of Windows 8 on a new 20GB partition, but my problem is, when I try to install new programs - even when I choose to install them to a different drive/partition, I run out of space. The problem is because during the install process, files are copied into \ProgramData\ on my Windows 8 partition. Is there a way to change the drive location of \ProgramData\ ?

If not, I'll have to start over and do an upgrade - which I'm apprehensive about because current Windows 8 partition is the default partition that's booted. Not sure what will happen if I delete that partition.

A:Created 20GB partition for Windows 8 (Dual Boot) - runnin out of space

Post a screen shot of a full screen Disk Management window please.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/11338-created-20gb-partition-windows-8-dual-boot-runnin-out-space.html
Relevancy 77.4%

I have had an Ubuntu/XP system for a while now, but yesterday it started bluescreening just after the windows logo on every attempt to boot. Also, while I can boot into Ubuntu fine, I cannot access the data partition which is pretty scary! I havent backed up in a good few weeks.

I dont have a recovery disk to run chkdsk from, what can I do?

Thank you for your time.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-ubuntu-xp-windows-not-booting-cant-access-data-partition.641502/
Relevancy 77.4%

Hello there!

I am trying to dual boot Windows 8 release preview along side my present Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. I understand that windows 7 only lets four partitions at once. My PC came in with four partitions, namely:

SYSTEM
(C
RECOVERY
HP TOOLS

So when I try to shrink the space in the C drive and go through the new simple volume wizard in the Disk Management, a message comes up saying the disk will be converted to dynamic if I proceed. I was a little confused and stopped there. I read a few threads online and downloaded the minitool partition wizard but I am really lost as to what to do. To summarize it all up, I am trying to dual boot windows 8 release preview but I have four partitions already so is there anyway I can delete one of them or create an extended partition? I also included screenshots of my partitions. Please help! Thank you in advance.

A:Hard drive partition problem in Windows 7 on a HP laptop for dual boot

You don't need the HP Tools partition, delete it and then shrink C to create unallocated space to create a new partition, then, when u install 8, use the setup.exe in the Sources folder, this allows for a custom install where u designate the partition. ...and welcome to the forum sneakymode!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/237176-hard-drive-partition-problem-windows-7-hp-laptop-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Okay so I didn t screw up everything but I can t get my boot menu situation straight I have a dual boot of windows xp pro and windows vista business I used EasyBCD to edit my boot menu this way my boot menu listed Windows XP and Windows Vista and it would default to Windows XP The + Windows Xp Menu Boot issues Dual Vista Boot problem now is that I can access F options on windows vista but not on windows xp I messed Dual Boot Windows Xp + Vista Boot Menu issues around Dual Boot Windows Xp + Vista Boot Menu issues with my boot ini for xp but can t get it to do what i want it to do This was my boot ini setup after using EasyBCD - Warning Boot ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems Warning Use BCDEDIT exe to Dual Boot Windows Xp + Vista Boot Menu issues modify Windows Vista boot options boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Windows XP Professional quot NOEXECUTE OPTIN FASTDETECT When the boot ini is listed as above it will automatically just go to Windows XP I want to have my F options back in case I need to get into safe mode I modified the boot ini to do this - Warning Boot ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems Warning Use BCDEDIT exe to modify Windows Vista boot options boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Windows XP Professional quot NOEXECUTE OPTIN FASTDETECT multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Safe Mode quot safeboot minimal sos bootlog noguiboot multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Safe Mode Networking quot safeboot network sos bootlog noguiboot multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Safe Mode CMD Prompt quot safeboot minimal alternateshell sos bootlog noguiboot multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot XP Pro Debug quot debug sos basevideo noguiboot bootlog Now when the boot menu comes up and says I can boot into Win Xp or Win Vista it defaults to Win Xp like it is suppose to but brings up all those options that I added to the boot ini So instead of booting straight to windows xp it gives me another menu screen with all the options I just added to the boot ini When it brings up the second boot menu for Windows Xp it shows all the options that I added the normal XP option I can hit F and it will bring up the normal list of safe mode and debug options How can I get the main boot screen Windows Xp option to access those advance options by hitting F instead of going through two menus I m sorry if this in confusing I tried to explain it the best way I could nbsp

A:Dual Boot Windows Xp + Vista Boot Menu issues

This is all you should need to start XP. I suggest lowering the "timeout" to 3 or less. To access your F8 options you should do so immediately after starting the XP-os. (right after this "boot loader" processes.)

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-windows-xp-vista-boot-menu-issues.948385/
Relevancy 76.97%

hi please help me i have a fresh installation of windows then i try help! boot issues Dual 7 Windows XP and to instal xp when windows xp requires first help! Dual boot Windows 7 and XP issues restart at boot it says error loading operating systems then i cant do nothing i cant even start windows the only way is to instal windows again on local disk D and then to delete it when i finaly startup this was the first time now i tried again and this time its the same just there is no error loading operating system message only a black screen should i try to install xp first i was thinking about when i were installing xp it asked me to format ntsf quick ntfs or leave current settings or something like that i selected the last one does this have anything to do with it since i formated it on windows before and i saw you wrote that it might be a bad copy of xp but that is impossible is there any other solution

A:help! Dual boot Windows 7 and XP issues

Where you are exactly is a little confusing, so maybe some information will help.

Which hard drive you have set as primary in the bios is very important. If you change the drive order or remove the primary drive and boot, the other drive will become primary and the boot files will be put there.

XP will overwrite the Win 7 boot files, so if you can, you should install XP first and then Win 7.

You might try doing a startup repair using the Win 7 DVD to see if you can get Win 7 running and then we can fix the XP install and get you dual booting.

I personally like to use independent installs on 2 hard drives, so if I ever want to remove one, it is easy.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/54917-help-dual-boot-windows-7-xp-issues.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi there I already saw a thread on this subject but I have a slightly different problem I have a dual boot I hope machine I had Mac OSX on it it's a windows machine I previously had Vista OSX dual booted but wanted to get rid of Vista because well it was just awful I left OSX on there to use while I searched for a solution originally tried to install XPO on the other partition but due to Windows dual boot issues. 7/Mac OSX Driver problems was Windows 7/Mac OSX dual boot issues. unable to Got myself Windows Installed it on the free partition but now there's no boot manager on boot I don't have the option to boot OSX just skips over and goes straight to This is a problem as I make all my music using the OSX programs plus all the savedata and stuff is there and would be an absolutel tragedy if I lost it Tried to read the data using MAcDrive but not even that will detect it put that down to compatibility issues with as was an error upon installation Does anyone have any clue as to what I can try Thanks in advance Fujitsu Siemens Amilo laptop Phoenix bios

A:Windows 7/Mac OSX dual boot issues.

Ok, problem solved.

Dual Booting the Wind – OSX and Windows 7|Gear Diary

This article will explain everything

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/44331-windows-7-mac-osx-dual-boot-issues.html
Relevancy 76.97%

I've gone through pages and pages of threads and many different sites to no avail. I have a factory installed Windows 7 64bit Samsung laptop. I have a single drive with an open partition ~200GB for Windows XP. With boot options set to optical drive, I have tried three different XP disks and all of them go through the disc loadup, but upon completion of "Starting Windows" the blue screen goes away, it flashes a black screen, Windows 7 load up screen flashes for a second and it once again says press any key to boot from CD.

I have tried disabling the legacy OS boot, AHCI, as well as deleting the 18GB recovery partition. Nothing is working.

Please tell me I am missing something! Thank you for your help in advance.

A:Dual Boot Issues: Windows 7 and XP

Welcome aboard

Have you followed the Option Two of the tutorial Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/232328-dual-boot-issues-windows-7-xp.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi,

Bit of a weird issue here. I have two HDs connected to my computer. The first of these I installed Vista on some time ago, the drive was later corrupted and I can no longer access it. Later, I purchased and installed Windows 7 on the second HD. While installing 7, I stupidly DIDN'T unplug the first drive (the one with Vista) and 7 placed its boot files alongside Vista's on the first drive. Because of this, the 7 HD is dependent on the Vista drive to boot.

I would now like to format the Vista drive to reinstall a new OS, but cannot do so without breaking my 7 installation. What is the best solution to this problem? I would prefer not to fully reinstall 7 (without the Vista drive plugged in). Is there a way to migrate the boot files from one drive to another?

Thanks for any help!

A:Windows 7 Dual Boot Issues

Hi there is some info here which may help you please read all of it first
http://www.sevenforums.com/installat...ong-drive.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-dual-boot-issues-432844.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Chances are something similar has been posted but couldn't Dual XP 7 Windows and Issues boot find any Have a system originally running XP SP Added a second hard drive and did a clean install of Windows When I try to start Windows from the dual boot menu it starts a pre-boot disk check on the XP drive If I allow the disk check to continue it makes both systems unbootable I then reinstalled Windows but this time with the XP drive disconnected The result was Windows XP and Windows systems XP and Windows 7 Dual boot Issues that work fine but I have to change the BIOS to switch systems Tried adding a dual boot menu to the XP drive EasyBCD amp VistaBootPro and had the same problem as before Restored both drives without dual boot and then added a dual boot menu to the Windows drive Don t have the disk check problem but selecting XP from the dual boot menu causes an immediate reboot and return to the menu Was able to do this with a second similar system with no such problems

A:XP and Windows 7 Dual boot Issues

Welcome!

First, disconnect the Windows 7 drive. Then make sure XP can boot without issue.

With the XP drive still connected, install Windows 7. When it is done, make sure the 7 drive is set to be the first in the boot order.

Then add XP manually to the BCD using EasyBCD 2.0. You will need to register first, but it is free.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/75173-xp-windows-7-dual-boot-issues.html
Relevancy 76.97%

I have two hard drives (Drive0 - Windows 7 Drive1 - Windows 8). Windows 7 was working great, I booted off the CD, installed Windows 8 onto Drive1 but upon reboot I never get any dual boot options, it acts as only Windows 8 is installed. I don't think it matters, but Windows 8 seems to lock up on reboot too (maybe a seperate issue). But for now my computer is useless.

I tried disabling Drive1 in the BIOS to force it to boot to Drive0 but I get a Windows 8 start up error saying files are missing.

Any thoughts on how to get this dual boot setup corrected? Let me know if you need more info.

A:Dual Boot Issues with Windows 7

Physically disconnect the Windows 8 HD.
Make the Windows 7 HD, disk0 & first HD boot in BIOS.Also connected to the first Sata Port on the MOBO.

Information
Boot up using the Startup Repair CD or Windows 7 DVD. (not the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disk) If you have a Netbook, you will need a CD/DVD drive.
NOTE: Make sure no USB drives are plugged in.
Do not use a USB Pendrive for Startup Repair.
startup repair disc-create

Do a Strartup Repair:
Startup Repair - Windows 7 Forums
Note: You may need to do startup repair 3 to 4 times.
Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/2316-dual-boot-issues-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Evening All First post here but as with most members Google led me here because I'm having some PC issues so I thought I'd get some advice here if no-one minds I have a Dell Vostro PC - it has and Vista Dual Boot Windows 7 Issues SATA HDDs and a DVD Drive The Windows Vista and 7 Dual Boot Issues original default OS was Vista Home Premium Recently I wanted to try out Windows Ultimate so I decided to set up a secondary partition on my primary HDD to install Win there to test before taking the plunge with a full upgrade This worked fine - I created the partition in Vista defined it as the Y drive and successfully installed Windows there no issue All was well and I could dual boot both although I have to say I mainly used the Vista install with the occasional Win test However in the last hours things have gone very wrong and now neither installation works Strangely nothing has been installed or changed on the machine yesterday to trigger this If I attempt to boot into Vista I get a Winload exe error with error code xc telling me that winload exe is missing or corrupt Last night I managed to get past this error once and Windows Vista and 7 Dual Boot Issues into safe mode to perform a virus check but since then it constantly cycles with the same error when booting or attempting to access advanced boot options If I attempt to boot into Windows I get a bar saying Windows files loading and then the machine reboots without loading further Same again if I try to access Advanced Boot Options for Windows Things I've tried so far are Booted from Vista Install disk and peformed a start-up repair - didn't resolve issue Booted from Vista Install disk and run a chkdsk f - didn't resolve issue Booted from Vista Install disk and from cmd prompt copied winload exe back to system from system boot - didn't resolve issue Booted from Win Install disk and performed a start-up repair - didn't resolve issue Now having read thru some of the other info out there I'm aware they're more things that I can try revolving around bcdedit exe and bootrec exe but as neither windows install is currently working I'm not sure in what order to fix and which I should try first I'd rather do a repair install for Vista as a last resort but that is also an option if needed I also have a sneaky suspicion this maybe hardware related but I'd like to get the machine backup and running before I make any HW changes Thanks in advance for all help and advice

A:Windows Vista and 7 Dual Boot Issues

According to a quick google search here's what you should do:

Boot to your Vista Recovery CD

A) Run a repair installation

B) Go to the Command Prompt section and run the following commands:

Code:
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot
winload.exe is missing or corrupt (no it's not!)

For future reference, System Restore and Repair Installations will fix most system related problems.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/95665-windows-vista-7-dual-boot-issues.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Hi all have had windows and dual booting nicely for a week or so now thanks to 'theog' giving me a hand last week I have noticed a bit of an issue though i have both OS installed in an ssd and have docs etc located in a normal harddrive Thing is whilst i can access the files fine from Windows if i boot dual issues file 7+8 windows on then try to access the same files from windows it keeps coming up saying the relevant section is unavailable If i then manually go into the harddrive and access the folder it comes up saying with an error quot you dont currently have permission to access this folder click continue to permanently get access to this folder quot click continue and its fine until you next boot into windows and then back into I have added the 'location' into the docs properties of windows also tried putting in new permissions and giving everybody file issues on windows 7+8 dual boot full control but this hasnt fixed the file issues on windows 7+8 dual boot issue Any assistance would be much appreciated Cheers

A:file issues on windows 7+8 dual boot

I have not had a problem running W7 and W8 alternatively, but I do have the same user name for both systems

When I first started W8 there was some message about getting file permissions.

I did have difficulty running Vista and W7 alternatively, possibly because I used different names.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/12995-file-issues-windows-7-8-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I am currently running Windows I downloaded Windows Pro and used the disk management tool to create a partition Then I installed Windows there Everything runs smooth however Windows just boots automatically every time without giving me an option to choose at boot When I check MSCONFIG for boot options it doesn't read Windows anywhere So I press ESC during boot menu select my hard drive from there and then the Windows bootloader shows up as it used to always before this Windows installation Then I can just boot into Windows without any problems Upon checking MSCONFIG from Windows 's side I don't see any options for Windows I downloaded Easy BCD on Windows side and tried adding the Windows partition but the whole process repeats as 7 & Windows Issues Dual Boot - Window 8 previously stated and even Dual Boot Issues - Window 7 & Windows 8 if I go into Windows bootloader by pressing the ESC key and selecting my hard drive as boot options - I do see Windows there but it gives an error on selection I am thinking of deleting the Windows partition and starting from scratch My only concern is if I do that will it not boot Windows at all since currently I have to go through device boot options to load Windows Any help to solve this will be really appreciated

A:Dual Boot Issues - Window 7 & Windows 8

Can you post a screen shot of your disk management window?

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/12175-dual-boot-issues-window-7-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Im Issues Windows Boot Dual 7 Setup trying to get a dual boot setup going on my laptop but Im having a lot of trouble with the installation I want to have installs of Windows bit running on partitions on the same SSD One partition install of Windows for audio production the other completely separate for my own personal use The audio partition install will have no networking devices enabled no antivirus or any other clutter just my audio software and thats it I have tried making the partitions in the Windows installer installing into the first partition then once thats done installing Windows 7 Dual Boot Setup Issues into the second I have tried installing the first time across the whole Windows 7 Dual Boot Setup Issues HD and then once Windows is running in the Disk Manager utility running a shrink Windows 7 Dual Boot Setup Issues on the HD then rebooting and installing the second install into the newly created partition For some reason I keep getting all manner of weird behaviour though My SSD isnt getting recognised on boot its hanging during the Starting Windows splash animation a couple of times I think the SSD wasnt even seen by the BIOS Heres my specs to start MSI GT Laptop with - Intel i QM GHz - GB DD RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX M GB - Micro-Star International Co MS- F Motherboard I got a Samsung EVO SSD with GB of storage for my primary drive and a HGST RPM TB for my secondary I have tested the Samsung SSD and the HGST with SeaTools using Short and Long tests no problems I have an old Intel SSD and an old WD HD in the laptop that i was using for years before I purchased the Samsung and the HGST and they both work fine if I plug them back in no hangs on startup no BIOS failure to see the HDs Could it be the more recent HDs are not very compatible with my somewhat old motherboard Or could my attempts to install Windows twice have severely corrupted the boot records or something like that Another thing to note is my laptops CD drive doesnt work I was installing off a USB I tried different USBs and I validated the ISO I downloaded from digital river or a proper install disk running on an external USB CD drive Has anyone done anything similar with boots of Win on partitions Any tips would be appreciated

A:Windows 7 Dual Boot Setup Issues

Work through the steps for Overcoming Windows 7 Installation Failures - Windows 7 Help Forums.

Try new media written to stick with tool in Step 4.

Check for firmware update for the SSD and BIOS update for the PC.

Do you have UEFI BIOS? Check in BIOS setup for any sign of UEFI, CSM, Legacy BIOS and Boot Priority settings for UEFI.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/349429-windows-7-dual-boot-setup-issues.html
Relevancy 75.25%

So due BCD/Partition logo stuck boot at Windows issues 7 to I have a lot going on here unfortunately Im trying to work through the issues but I've found Windows 7 stuck at boot logo due to BCD/Partition issues myself Windows 7 stuck at boot logo due to BCD/Partition issues stuck I THINK that the issue in the title is now my problem as I have been able to fix my EFI boot partition and from my untrained eye things appear to be correct but I've noticed that my windows partition shows as 'unknown' in disk part and Windows 7 stuck at boot logo due to BCD/Partition issues perhaps that is why my win is now getting stuck forever at the windows boot logo My original issue was posted here for background - https answers launchpad net ubuntu question Since then I've done a number of things such as running Easy Recovery Essentials from NeoSmart and obviously the windows recovery boot repair endlessly along with ubuntu boot-repair in LTS A quick note LTS i saw a EFI error on boot so i was thinking maybe that boot-repair wouldn't be able to correctly repair things unless the live cd was correctly launched in EFI mode The same with recovery essentials when i boot the cd it doesn't give me the UEFI option for booting the cd so perhaps that also wont work for my EFI situation My windows does show UEFI at the boot and I did attempt to do all of the bootrec exe commands in windows recovery cmd The only part I could not do was the bootsect exe nt SYS mbr command from this guide - https neosmart net wiki fix-uefi-b t in Windows Because it complained that I had to be in bios mode non EFI mode to do it When i booted win without UEFI then win complained I cannot enter recovery environment because it needs to be EFI Damned if you do damned if you dont But my understanding is that EFI does not use a MBR so im not sure how that is a relevant fix anyways I went from not being able to see the OS to resolving that part by changing the ID of my windows partition located here - Issue with a Windows Boot issue - involving the BCD perhaps - Super User Now the windows recovery environment see's my OS but its location is quot Unknown quot at the first screen and quot Unknown quot in the 'type' column in disk part My most recent boot-repair attempt is located here - Paste org - Viewing Paste Gb sUWn The boot summary info prior to that attempted repair is here - Paste org - Viewing Paste Xt jNFs Im a little curious as to why my sda windows install partition was showing up as a EFI partition In Gparted it shows as a ntfs partition and I've of course ran all the chkdsk and other tools on it to ensure there's nothing wrong with it Im thinking changing the ID of the partition might have screwed with things but when i ran bootrec rebuildbcd I think it should have fixed it When I first did it it did see the os but running bootrec rebuildbcd it could not find the OS Then I changed the ID on partition and it found it I've also tried renaming bcd to bcd old after changing attributes and then trying bootrec rebuildbcd again but it identifies quot quot windows installations and I've noticed that there is no mounted windows OS during the windows recovery environment Perhaps this is the issue It see's the OS because at the very first screen after clicking 'repair windows' from the boot cd it see's the OS windows professional but just status location Unknown I did all of that following this guide - How To Rebuild the BCD in Windows to Minutes Maybe it needs to be mounted before I can repair it Not sure Losing my mind over this Here is a picture of what disk part shows currently - Imgur The most awesome images on the Internet The last windows repair attempt I've tried says its unable to repair the system and under the diagnosis and repair details I see quot A patch is preventing the system from starting quot under the quot Software installation log diagnosis quot section there's a lot more but they are all error x which seems like no issues found System Disk Device Hardisk Window... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/396025-windows-7-stuck-boot-logo-due-bcd-partition-issues.html
Relevancy 67.51%

I'm a long-time reader but new poster I am currently running Windows I want to install Windows XP onto another disc and have a dual-boot setup I keep Windows up to date and secure but for the XP partition I would rather not have antivirus running or even installed in order to limit background processes I will not be logging into any place partition OS boot partition access w/Bitlocker a dual encrypted Can if or making any credit card purchases when booted into Windows XP It will just be used for surfing games etc Further if and when XP becomes compromised or buggy I will simply overwrite the partition with a backup image If I use Bitlocker to lock down the Windows partition with the encryption key on a thumb drive and boot into Windows XP Can OS partition access a dual boot partition if encrypted w/Bitlocker am I correct in thinking the XP installation see or can't access the Windows partition If XP gets compromised can a virus access or write to the Windows partition Is there any other reason why this would not be secure Can a virus write to the BIOS Thanks to anyone who can help

A:Can OS partition access a dual boot partition if encrypted w/Bitlocker

Please, any response would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/249810-can-os-partition-access-dual-boot-partition-if-encrypted-w-bitlocker.html
Relevancy 67.51%

I dual W7 partition HDD exisiting on existing from boot partition create would like to create a bootable partition from an existing Win partition I have two partitions create dual boot partition from exisiting W7 partition on existing HDD bootable now Both Win - one with dragon dictate and various software I am trying out on a TB drive and the other is my regular boot partition on an SSD with the system reserved partition I would like to create an exact image of the regular SSD boot partition on the TB drive with the existing win dragon partition and other data drives to do an upgrade to win avoiding reinstall of lots of additional software I have read lots of threads on related topics but haven't seen one that can help with this problem I have tried acronis DD copying the partition but it isn't bootable and easyBCD adds it but it always defaults to the dragon partition when selecting it from the boot menu I do have acronis and plus versions as well as disk director Also just downloaded partition wizard but thought I might try a question first If there is a thread I missed that has the solution please point me there Thanks in advance

A:create dual boot partition from exisiting W7 partition on existing HDD

After re-imaging the partition to HD choosing Auto drive letter selection, Active partition and include MBR and Track0, unplug all other HDs, set target HDD first HD to boot in BIOS (after DVD drive), confirm partition is still marked Active then run Startup Repair - Run up to 3 Separate Times until Win7 starts with the System Active flags onboard.

If you are including the 100mb System Reserved partition then all of these things should be done choosing it, so that it remains bootable and starts Win7. Otherwise the steps applied to C will cut out the 100mb System Reserved as boot partition.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/270661-create-dual-boot-partition-exisiting-w7-partition-existing-hdd.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the necessary drivers/software installed for the upgrade. However reinstalling 7 ruined my dual boot, I can no longer boot into the 10 tech preview... I was on build 10166, and I only have an ISO of 10162 which fails on startup repair... need suggestions on how to fix the bootloader to see both OS!

A:Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Originally Posted by Carsomyr

I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the necessary drivers/software installed for the upgrade. However reinstalling 7 ruined my dual boot, I can no longer boot into the 10 tech preview... I was on build 10166, and I only have an ISO of 10162 which fails on startup repair... need suggestions on how to fix the bootloader to see both OS!

This is a good MSDN topic:
Adding Boot Entries (Windows Drivers)

Read it and ask any questions, lots of members know this stuff and can help guide you if you need it.

Make sure you're reading the information on BCDedit - that's the tool for Win7 and higher.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/8155-reinstalling-windows-7-7-10-dual-boot-breaks-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hello Everyone ,

i was wondering if anyone could help me in this matter :
i have windows7 and Redhat on my Laptop , i have removed and reinstalled the Windows7 last night and after that lost the Dual boot option , in fact the system is booting on windows7 and there is no option to chose linux ,

as far as i know , i should edit the msconfig file which i tried and couldn`t make it dual boot ,

Please check the attachment file ,

Thank you

A:dual boot , reinstall the windows and lost dual boot

Read this: Fixed Windows - But Now Grub is Gone?

Where to install ubuntu in my system?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/88580-dual-boot-reinstall-windows-lost-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi all,

I followed some instructions to remove the Windows 8 Dual Boot by just deleting the Windows 8 Partition and that there was no need to edit the boot menu as everything will be done automatically after restart.

Now, when I tried to reboot my computer, the computer hangs at the screen where you are suppose to select to boot up Windows 7 or Windows 8.

As I had deleted Windows 8 Already, it should not prompt me to select to boot Windows 8 but rather directly boot into Windows 7.

How should I proceed from here ? I am currently installing Fedora Dual Boot on my laptop so hopefully I am able to do some salvaging from there....

Thanks in advance !

Warmest Regards,
Zeke

A:Windows 7 Crashes at Boot Manager after Deleting Windows 8 Dual Boot

Take a windows 7 installation DVD/USB thumbdrive, boot from it, select "I want to repair my computer" and then do a "startup repair".

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/294576-windows-7-crashes-boot-manager-after-deleting-windows-8-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I am trying to dual boot with 2 different hard drives and 2 different systems. One is Vista x64 and the other is Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. After installing the hard drive with Windows 7 which came from a different computer, I used EasyBCD to configure the boot order. Windows vista still works, but when I want to switch to Windows 7 I get:

FILE \windows\system32\winload.exe
info: windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.

After some search I have found this old thread from this same forum. Here is the link: dual boot windows 7 and vista boot error winload.exe

The Op seems to have similar problem as me. I just don't get all the follow up instructions in the thread dealing with bootrec since I haven't encountered it before (I think...). Any thoughts?

A:Dual boot windows vista and windows 7 boot error winload.exe

The best way to Dual Boot OS's on separate HD's is to set the preferred OS HD as Primary HD and first HD to boot in BIOS setup, then when needed trigger the other using the one-time BIOS Boot Menu key.

If this is not desireable, then set Win7 HD as Primary HD and first HD to boot in BIOS setup, install easyBCD to Win7 to add XP.

Before doing this delete any EasyBCD listing for the other HD you've already made in Edit OS Menu tab.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/355211-dual-boot-windows-vista-windows-7-boot-error-winload-exe.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Was trying to delete Linux from my dual boot and I accidentally the whole Windows 8 boot loader (again). But this time is worse.

I have Linux installed to get the boot loader back. Windows appears in the GRUB boot menu, but it is corrupted and will not boot. When I try to boot from it, it now goes to a "preparing automatic repairs" screen followed by an "attempting repairs" screen. I'm given an "Automatic repair couldn't repair your PC." Then it takes me to the Windows 8 recovery options.

Before it got corrupted, I tried doing a system restore from the recovery options but had to force a shutdown because the restore got stuck and would not end even after 10 hours had passed. That was probably a bad idea.

What should I try next?

A:Borked my Windows/Linux dual boot, Windows won't boot anymore

if you have a windows 8 disk, you can try a startup repair.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/borked-my-windows-linux-dual-boot-windows-wont-boot-anymore-701798.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hey guys I am boot Windows Windows dual 8 Black up. 8 installed, Screen! boot won't having an issue when installing the consumer preview So I downloaded the W iso off of Microsoft's site I burned it to a Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! DVD with GB free of storage I even bought a new set of DVDs Anyways I downloaded the iso I downloaded the USB DVD download tool there I burned my iso to the DVD So I then create a partition on my computer I gave the new partition GB of storage I rebooted my computer pressed F and access the burned DVD So I click custom installation and I install the new OS onto the partition with GB I named it the partition Windows so I wouldn't get confused I clicked it and installed Windows onto it Anyways once it extracts the data and installs all Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! the Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! updates my computer screen goes black for a few seconds Then it load's the fish icon and then goes black It loads nothing and it just stays there I have tried using the startup repair and it cannot fix it I decided to reinstall the OS but format the partition and then install It does the same exact thing Anyways how do I get rid of the black screen Windows won't boot up I allowed a dual boot by the way so I still have windows but I really want to try Windows I followed this guide if anyone was wondering

A:Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen!

I'm having similar issues with Vista and W8. I put W8 on an empty and freshly created partition.
I can get W8 to run but then on every restart or reboot I can not get back to Vista from the "blue dual boot screen". I select Vista as the OS, the laptop goes to the Acer splash screen and then the screen goes black and the HDD light goes off completely. And that's it. Have to do a forced shutdown holding power button and then on next reboot it will go to Vista.
Fortunately I have full Acronis disk images so I can just revert back to before all this but like you I really want to try W8.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/4556-windows-8-dual-boot-installed-windows-8-wont-boot-up-black-screen.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hey guys i installed windows and windows server in different partition I first installed windows and then installed windows server I dont know if that makes much of a difference However -----after installing - Dual boot Windows Server and pro loader 2008 7 boot Windows the server i could not see the windows in my boot loader so i had to turn the windows partition to active- to boot from windows seven -----It turned my server partition to logical and could not see the server os in boot loader So how would i add both of them in the boot loader so that i can select one of the two after i boot I Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader had to download acronis disk director to turn the logical drive to primary again So the question is how is it possible Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader to get both the boot OS in the boot loadter I don't want to do a dual boot through vhd just in case someone suggests me that screen shot of my disk Update i changed the windows server partion back Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader to active and tried to boot now it says bootmgr is missing

A:Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader

I don't know how marking Win7 Active to repair it so it would start would convert the Server partition to Logical. I've never heard of such a thing.

To add the missing OS, install EasyBCD to add it on the Add New Entry tab.

EasyBCD (free Download at bottom of page - no name or email required)

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/244854-dual-boot-windows-7-pro-windows-server-2008-boot-loader.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi all I am having some problems I am hoping I may be able to get some advice on I have a new laptop that came with Windows Vista Model is Toshiba Satellite A -S I have been trying to load Windows Repair boot Vista boot dual and and Windows XP MBR loader it with Windows XP because Windows Vista kind of sucks for my computing needs I am pretty sure a format and clean install will wreck my warranty hence the dual boot So far I have been able to partition and install XP SP- to a partition I ve booted into XP fine but my Vista partition is not available I think that the partition table or MBR has been corrupted So to repair Repair boot loader and MBR Windows XP and Windows Vista dual boot this what I did was boot up from the Vista recovery DVD and run the startup repair option to reload the bootloader for Vista and thus enable dual booting When I rebooted I got a black screen saying Invalid Partition Table or something to this effect I tried repairing the MBR and so on and so forth from the console on the recovery DVD but this proved to be Repair boot loader and MBR Windows XP and Windows Vista dual boot pretty much totally fruitless So I went through and did an install of Windows XP once again to my other drive partition I had created So I am basically where I started I need to know if somebody knows how I can repair the drives MBR or partition table to make it readable under Windows to at least pull my important files off of or to boot into Any ideas would be enormously appreciated Attached I will include a visual of what s up with my hard drive situation Thank you Jacob Also I will cross-reference this to a couple of forums I have posted to with no results as they may have some information I have forgotten to include http www geekstogo com forum Hard-Disc-MBR-Problems-New-Vista-Downgrade-t html These are some instructions I came across which more or less explain how I went about doing the install http www howtogeek com forum topic howto-windows-xp-install-on-a-vista-computer nbsp

A:Repair boot loader and MBR Windows XP and Windows Vista dual boot

bump

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/repair-boot-loader-and-mbr-windows-xp-and-windows-vista-dual-boot.666827/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hello all,

I have Windows 7 64 bit on one of my hard drives.
Randomly it wouldnt boot anymore (got stuck in bios startup, wouldnt boot in safe mode or anything else)

I installed windows 7 32 bit on a different hard drive, and want to know how to repair my older version.

If this is the wrong section i appologize but it seemed like it fit.

Any ideas on where to start or how to fix my issues on the 64 bit hard drvie.

A:Windows 7 dual partition help

dillonster, Welcome to sevenforums. Have you looked at this tutorial and gave start up repair a try...
Startup Repair

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/100763-windows-7-dual-partition-help.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I have an old Windows 7 which can now be updated to Windows 10. However, when I updated my Win 8.1 to 10 I had issues with Easeus Partition Manager changing partition ids and other problems. WindowsEight Forums were fabulous in info with rectifying the problems in simple non tech language.

So, before I attempt to update from Windows 7, could someone please clarify the following (or would it be the same as Windows 8)? One other slight complication is that my windows 7 is the Spanish version.

Particion 1 Principal 200 MB
Particion 2 Principal 68 GB
Particion 0 Extendido 382 GB
Particion 7 Logico 90 GB
Particion 8 Logico 3833 MB
Particion 4 Logico 244 GB
Particion 5 Logico 14 GB
Particion 6 Logico 28 GB
Particion 3 OEM 14 GB

I created 2 new partitions with EPM - one for my work folders and files and another for Linux. The Partitions shown in This PC are:
Local Disk C: 68.3 GB
Lenovo D: 28.9 GB
Linux E: 14.7 GB
Work G: 244 GB

Many thanks for any help.

Jorge

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/385932-update-windows-7-windows-10-easeus-partition-manager-issues.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I have an old Windows 7 which can now be updated to Windows 10. However, when I updated my Win 8.1 to 10 I had issues with Easeus Partition Manager changing partition ids and other problems. WindowsEight Forums were fabulous in info with rectifying the problems in simple non tech language.

So, before I attempt to update from Windows 7, could someone please clarify the following (or would it be the same as Windows 8)? One other slight complication is that my windows 7 is the Spanish version.

Particion 1 Principal 200 MB
Particion 2 Principal 68 GB
Particion 0 Extendido 382 GB
Particion 7 Logico 90 GB
Particion 8 Logico 3833 MB
Particion 4 Logico 244 GB
Particion 5 Logico 14 GB
Particion 6 Logico 28 GB
Particion 3 OEM 14 GB

I created 2 new partitions with EPM - one for my work folders and files and another for Linux. The Partitions shown in This PC are:
Local Disk C: 68.3 GB
Lenovo D: 28.9 GB
Linux E: 14.7 GB
Work G: 244 GB

Many thanks for any help.

Jorge

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/385932-update-windows-7-windows-10-easeus-partition-manager-issues.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Suddenly my Win Home Premium x table have boot partition 7 Windows not does won't valid the partition - system a will not boot The system starts POSTs then loads the DVD driver then the screen goes black not blank but quot lit up quot black if that makes sense Then nothing If I use Hiren's boot cd I can boot up using the quot boot from HDD quot option fine and Windows operates normally System restore to a previous configuration made no difference to the original problem I cannot boot into Safe Mode F just offers me Windows 7 won't boot - the partition table does not have a valid system partition boot order options Running the Windows DVD I find the following No operating system is listed on the Repair Windows option Running Startup Repair finds the following error quot the partition table does not have a valid system partition quot which it claims to have repaired but the error remains and Windows will still not boot I found a few threads on a Google search and followed this advice in one Quote Boot dvd to system recovery options command prompt Type Diskpart lis vol find the vol letter e g C or partition number e g for the system partition sel vol C or sel vol obviously use the correct letter or number act exi My system partition was easily identified and listed as healthy so I selected it and made it active The problem still remains exactly the same The rest of the advice in that thread isn't relevant to my exact problem and involves additional command prompts which I didn't feel comfortable typing in as I'm a command line idiot My system is self built just over a year ago to my knowledge has been running fine without any hardware issues I'm prepared to do a clean install if that's what it takes but if there is a way to fix the partition problem without that I'd like to explore it first Can anyone help me Thanks in advance

A:Windows 7 won't boot - the partition table does not have a valid system partition

Hi did you read the rest of the thread Solved Invalid system partition - Page 2 - Windows 7 Forums
you could always try the info here Ntldr is missing error in windows 7 boot - Microsoft Answers

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-wont-boot-the-partition-table-does-not-have-a-valid-system-partition-607190.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi i am a newbie and I think I made a disastrous experimentation when i reformatted my pc I will try to recall what I did so that you dual C: drive/partition in windows help xp can incarcerate me for being hard headed after reading this thread so here it goes reformatted my pc using new installation in windows xp i have four partitions C for System D for Programs E for music and F for Games dual windows xp in drive/partition C: help My Hd is GB IDE When I installed XP again and installed the drivers and all I noticed that boot time is too slow even if I configured my PC to boot up in HD I noticed my boot time became slow when I installed the drivers of the video card My video card is nvidia AGP This is my suspicion because I could not install the driver of the video capture image and it is all down hill from here i decided to reformat drive c again because my friend told me that i may have forgotten to have a clean install I reformatted xp again in drive c and on my nd try I accidentally created dual boot drives in drive c using windows xp both at the same time When I realized that i created two boot drive of xp in the same partition I tried to redo the steps again but to no avail i have created a monster and this is because I could not control myself How am I to remedy this problem because i don't want to have dual boot systems of xp Should I format drive c again and do a clean install all over again I tried using windows advanced configuration menu and selected safe mode with command prompt to format c but it is asking me for the lavel volume whenever i type the command I also tried using msconfig nad boot ini but i can not understand the settings what is the difference with booting from cd and use the interface of windows xp If you were to advice someone to remedy this situation what will you tell the pathetic guy and that is me Can someone give me a walkthrough to resolve my problems And if i may say I definitely know why there is an adage that says quot curiosity killed the cat quot Can someone please give me pointers that I will understand Thank you very much

A:dual windows xp in drive/partition C: help

If you don't have anything on the drive that you want/need, i'd suggest finding the driver/utility CD that came with your hard drive and using that to wipe the partition so you can do a fresh, clean install with no conflicts.

Basically, get the CD so you have it next to you. Power on the computer, and when the black screen with the white lettering comes up listing your CPU and RAM and whatnot, enter the setup/bios by using whatever key it states. Usually this is DEL, or F1 or similar, it should be on the bottom somewhere. Once in there, go to advanced settings to set your boot order.
1st boot, make it CD Rom
2nd boot make it your hdd
3rd, floppy.

Now, put the cd in that you have for your hard drive, and select "save and exit" from the BIOS. You computer will reboot, and spin up the CD. It should take your to your HDD utility/maintenance menu. Go ahead and choose what partition you want to format, and go for it. Make sure you either have nothing that you want on the parition you want to format!! or you back up everything you need/want, and wipe the entire thing. You will not get this information back!!

The utility will then wipe your drive/partition and make way for a clean install.

Once it's done, pop out the CD, pop in your windows CD and reboot. You'll be then able to set up 1 copy of windows on 1 partition and hopefully be back to normal. Don't forget to set your boot order back to what it was before you did this :)

n-joy

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dual-windows-xp-in-drive-partition-c-help-96212.html
Relevancy 64.93%

hello i have some questions regarding dual booting windows home premium x with linux fedora on dual independantly dedicated drives i am a college student with moderate computer windows knowledge but am doing software development and would like to play around with some linux for a class i have no prior experience with linux and have minimal knowledge of operation i am currently running windows and would like to keep it as my primary os i do not wish to share media files across with and dual 7 drives linux windows boot fedora dual drives or os's windows does that just fine as is and i dont want to get into a third drive my windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives current drive is a tb wd black caviar hdd it is also currently rds full and the desktop is windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives about months old so i would rather not partition the drive for a dual boot i would think that there are some other advantages for the os's operating independantly off their own drives other than if one hdd dies i should windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives still have the other with its os still ok i have read some topics about RAID configs with dual boot setups with dual drives like this but am not very familiar with RAID is there a RAID config that would be beneficial in this situation i currently do not have a RAID card my tower internals are not very accessible and i dont like the idea of disconnecting drives depending on which os i want to operate so what would be the best way of going about this this is a near future project so i am looking for someone with some experience in this area hopefully thanks - garrett

A:windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives

Hi garrettchatt and welcome to Windows 7 Forums

Are you trying to ask something? There's nothing there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/142453-windows-7-linux-fedora-dual-boot-dual-drives.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I've tried upgrading to Windows twice with partition recovery upgrade/Windows 8 Windows 10 issues this notebook st attempt Windows 10 upgrade/Windows 8 recovery partition issues It tried downloading to D Recovery partition failed upgrade luckily I made a Windows recovery USB including the entire recovery drive before I ran the upgrade after several steps and issues I restored to nd attempt Again it tried to download and install in D partition and failed second recovery was quite a bit more difficult than the first My question is would removing the recovery partition completely before running the upgrade solve this and if so would the Windows recovery USB still be enough to recover if it fails even after completely removing recovery partition If upgrade is successful would I be able to make a Windows recovery USB then recreate a recovery partition then transfer the recovery USB to that partition I'm doing this for someone else that isn't technically proficient if it were mine I'd be doing this differently that is if I would actually ever own this little thing My goal here is to get them upgraded then make as close to certain as I can that they can not only recover but that they won't have to worry about keeping track of a DVD or USB recovery media if all else fails and can recover while keeping the valid product key without them ever needing to buy find use or type a product key

A:Windows 10 upgrade/Windows 8 recovery partition issues

I would remove the Recovery partition and try the upgrade. As to the question of it working after removing the partition that may depend on which type of Recovery USB you created. There is Windows 8's version-which I've never used & am not sure whether it works without the partition. Then there is> HP Recovery Media- which works with/with out the partition and even on a new hdd. Windows 10 does also have an option to create a usb recovery drive but I don't think it will transfer to a recovery partition- at least not a bootable one. Windows 10 has the Reset this PC option that uses files stored on hdd.You must also consider that if the hdd failed it would take the recovery/reset partition with it so having a stand alone installer- either usb or dvd is always a good choice- to install on a replacement hdd.Of course many of use use Imaging to take a full snapshot of the Windows install to easily restore either to original or new hdd. Imaging is also covered in the link above.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Windows-10-upgrade-Windows-8-recovery-partition-issues/td-p/5757546
Relevancy 64.5%

I have installed dual boot OS in my desktop.
WD 1TB (500GB windows XP and 500GB windows 7) ALL 32 BIT.
I installed the windows XP first.
The Windows XP had installed on first partition and 2nd partition is Windows 7.

The XP boot in to windows without any problem.
But the windows 7 right after showing the logo, then no display.

Here are PC boot loader

earlier windows operation=XP
Windows 7

Did I did something wrong?

A:Windows XP and Windows 7 dual boot. Problem with Windows 7 start up

Did Windows 7 finish installing?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/185521-windows-xp-windows-7-dual-boot-problem-windows-7-start-up.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi,

I had Windows 7 installed on my PC and I wanted to install Windows 8 in dual boot, so I bought a SSD and installed it and then proceeded to install Windows 8 on the SSD.

Now when I restart the computer, it just boots into Windows 8 without loading the boot manager where I can choose the OS.

Instead, the only way to get into Windows 7 is for me to press F12 and choose the other hard drive. I have attached a screenshot of Disk Management. Windows 7 is installed on Disk 0 (C) and Windows 8 is installed on Disk 1 (G).

How can I get the Windows 8 boot manager to show up?

Thanks!

A:Windows 7/Windows 8 Dual Boot - No Boot Manager Loads

Hello akishore, welcome to Eight Forums!

To most people you have the desired boot set-up, a BIOS managed dual-boot but if you want a Windows managed dual-boot the easiest way to achieve that is to use the Windows 7 installation DVD to do 3 separate startup repairs, have a look at the tutorial at the link below for the procedure and be sure to post back with updates.

Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/8805-windows-7-windows-8-dual-boot-no-boot-manager-loads.html
Relevancy 63.64%

I have a dual boot environment with two Win XP installed on different disks, XP1 and XP2 . XP1 was installed first and contains the boot files (NTLDR, boot.ini...) and XP2 came second. Now, I would like to keep XP2 and get rid of XP1. How can i delete XP1 since it contains the boot files? if i delete XP1 i am afraid to not be able to boot on XP2..., thanks

Relevancy 63.21%

Hello, I would like to dual boot windows xp and windows 7. I currently am using windows 7 but I would like to install windows xp alongside it on a separate partition. I created the partition in disk management in windows seven and I booted from my xp disk and it goes through the beginning processes and then says entering windows setup and then goes to a blue screen saying that my computer needs to be shutdown. Please help me bypass this or something. Thanks.

A:Dual-Booting Windows XP and Windows 7 Issues

You may have installed Windows Seven in the AHCI mode.
XP will blue screen because the AHCI drivers were not installed for XP.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/221625-dual-booting-windows-xp-windows-7-issues.html
Relevancy 63.21%

So i just recently created two partitions on my home pc one keeping windows xp and i installed windows on the other one I completely got all my programs and stuff back on windows and it was all set I decided i should delete the other partition containing windows xp so the windows one could have all the harddrive space I went into the partition program i was using changed the windows partition to primary instead of logical i think that s what it was i can t really remember then deleted the windows xp one It had to reboot my computer then after it was finished deleting and stuff it rebooted again but now it just takes me to Deleted partition and xp windows 7 dual booting wrong a black screen that says press a key to reboot I got a copy of a windows xp recovery disk and tried to boot from that but nothing I even tried switching the boot sequence but still no luck I really hope someone can get back to me on this one i ve Deleted wrong partition dual booting windows 7 and xp just stumbled upon this site and figured someone has to have some sort of advice on this disaster haha I m not even too sure if this is the right spot to post this but i hope someone can help Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 63.21%

Hi everyone. Well I couldn't get rid of a knarley virus I had so felt defeated and I just gave up. I backed up my files to DVD's which may contain some malware ridden files. Probably not the smartest decision but I didn't know what to do. I wiped and reformatted my storage partition and proceeded to enter recovery boot mode to wipe/reformat my C:/ drive on Windows Vista Home Premium, and then it started but a Windows XP logo flashed for a couple seconds. Got skeched out and aborted the process and shut down. Any ideas on why that would be? As well as, how to clean my backed up storage data on DVD's without running on another computer potentially infecting it too? Thank you for taking the time to read this, any help/input would be truly appreciated.

-William

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/alt-f10-to-boot-windows-vista-recovery-partition-flashes-a-windows-xp-logo.1117924/
Relevancy 63.21%

after a kernel data inpage error bsod, My windows 7 laptop won't get past the "select operating system to boot to" (Windows 7), after I choose Windows 7, I get a black screen with a typing cursor in the upper left corner, and won't do anything else. It will sit for days like that if I let it. No windows 7 logo, no boot. So I booted up with a Windows 7 DVD and attempted startup repair which kept freezing in itself. eventually it asked me what OS I wanted to repair. all I had was an option to repair drive D, not C. and it said "Windows 7 (correct), and partition size: 0 MB (incorrect). My creative art stuff for work is on that computer so I desperately need help. Please help.

A:Windows 7 won't boot. startup repair reports: Windows 7 partition size 0MB

hi , didn't mean to get your hopes up with this reply.. but I posted a similar problem and I haven't got any replies yet either... I'm pretty screwed btoo.. sorry to hear what happened to you. I was just writing to you because i wanted to ask you if someone helps you out, do you think you could msg me to send the cure my way too plz and thanks ?? just desperate man..... happened out of nowhere

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/571493/windows-7-wont-boot-startup-repair-reports-windows-7-partition-size-0mb/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hello All Windows Laptop Boot on 2003 Server in installed installation Dual already Windows 7 I have Windows Ultimate -Bit Edition installed and working fine Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop on the following laptop HP-Dv -Bit Core Duo GB RAM Nvidia Graphics Card It is the only operating system I have two partitions in the laptop harddisk Windows Ultimate is obviously installed on the first partition C I have D almost empty and I can shrink or expand it based on the requirements Now I want to install Windows SR SP Server on the same laptop in Dual Boot Configuration I have read that installing a Windows Xp family operating system on a machine after intallation of Windows Vista family operating system corrupts the boot sector and makes Windows unbootable since both have different operating system files I know i should have installed Windows first and then Windows to ensure a hassle free Windows dual boot system However I want now to save the hassle and do the other way around Can anyone guide me with exact steps or to any other working guide which can ensure that both operating systems would live in harmony in the scenario i have described Maybe someone with a similar experience can share the precautions and consequences Thanks for reading and helping in advance Regards nbsp

A:Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop

Couple of things you can do after installing 2003.

Boot from the W7 dvd select repair my computer and do a startup repair, most of the time this fixes the bootloader for W7, but then 2003 may not boot now. So then you need to install a BCD editor software in W7 to get both of them booting properly.

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

If startup repair does not get W7 booting again, there are some commands you can do from the W7 recovery environment to get the job done, (boot from the W7 cd, select repair my computer, then command prompt)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2003-server-installation-in-dual-boot-on-already-installed-windows-7-laptop.878387/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hello All I have Windows Dual installation Windows Boot already 7 installed 2003 in Windows Server Laptop on Ultimate -Bit Edition installed and working fine on the following laptop HP-Dv -Bit Core Duo GB RAM Nvidia Graphics Card It is the Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop only operating system I have two partitions in the laptop harddisk Windows Ultimate is obviously installed on the first partition C I have D almost empty and I can shrink or expand it based on the requirements Now I want to install Windows SR SP Server on the same laptop in Dual Boot Configuration I have read that installing a Windows Xp family operating system on a machine after intallation of Windows Vista family operating system corrupts the boot sector and makes Windows unbootable since both have different operating system files I know i should have installed Windows first and then Windows to ensure a hassle free Windows dual boot system However I want now to save the hassle and do the other Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop way around Can anyone guide me with exact steps or to any other working guide which can ensure that both operating systems would live in harmony in the Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop scenario i have described Maybe someone with a similar experience can share the precautions and consequences Thanks for reading and helping in advance Regards

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-2003-server-installation-in-dual-boot-on-already-installed-windows-7-laptop-432998.html
Relevancy 63.21%

With an XP Pro W Pro Dual boot configuration is it possible to do the following see screen shot or DiskMgmt info of current config below Move boot data from XP partition to the W extended partition Make W partition the Primary System partition Format the XP partition Extend Expand the W partition on to the available partition I have seen and tried many of the so called solutions currently posted with no success I can't help but notice that Microsoft does not currently offer a solution Alternatively if from W7 System Removal XP Dual boot partition a of boot the above is not currently possible which seems to be the case can I do the following Backup W and my documents partition to another drive Format the system drive Re-install W Successfully restore W with the backup retaining all programs amp drivers If this is all that needs to be done it's a no-brainer and should be recommended as the work around from MS My only fear to taking this leap is for some possible unforseen reason the restore function will not work with the new build Thanks in advance for any quot sure and sound advice quot SojourningAlien ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Currently booted into W DiskMgmt Disk - GB - Online WXP D GB NTFS Healthy System Active Primary Partition My Documents E GB NTFS Healthy Logical Drive W C GB NTFS Healthy Boot Page File Active Crash Dump Logical Drive -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A:Removal of XP System boot partition from a W7 Dual boot

Use free Partition Wizard bootable CD. You 'll have to convert the Win7 Logical partition there to Primary first so that you can mark Win7 Active, then delete XP, resize Documents/Win7 extended partition into delete XP space, then boot into the Win7 DVD Repair console or Repair CD to run Startup repair up to 3 separate times to write MBR to Win7.

[This is complicated by the Win7 partition being a part of Documents extended partition. You may need to include the Documents partition in all of the operations below involving Win7 partition. If you want to separate and move the Documents partition, or liquidate it into Win7 , ask back for additional steps.]

Boot PW CD, select 1 for screen resolution, rightclick Win7 logical partition>Modify>Convert to Primary, OK.

Rightclick converted Win7 Primary partition>Modify>Set to Active, OK.

Rightclick XP partition>Delete, OK.

Rightclick Win7 partition>Resize>slide left grey border to the left to take up deleted XP space, OK. Apply all steps.

Win7 will not now boot, so boot the Win7 DVD Repair console or Repair CD, click through to Recovery tools list to run Startup Repair up to 3 separate times with reboots, to write the MBR to Win7 until it starts.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/83335-removal-xp-system-boot-partition-w7-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Back for more and as always a hearty thanks to anyone willing to give of their time For the last several months I ve been running a dual boot configuration--XP Professional and Windows Home Premium managed by GAG Boot Manager--on my HP Pavilion dv us with no problems I mostly use Win but roughly twice a week I ll boot into XP Pro to utilize a legacy app or just to update my anti-virus Yesterday days since my Of Can't Configuration Partition XP Dual-Boot Suddenly Boot last visit I booted into XP Pro and was for no reason that Suddenly Can't Boot XP Partition Of Dual-Boot Configuration I can figure confronted with the classic quot We apologize for the inconvenience quot screen that asks if I want to start Windows normally or use the last known good configuration or start in Safe Mode or a few other options Given that days ago I booted into the XP partition with no problems I chose quot Start Windows normally quot However after entering the splash screen the dots moved across the bar below the logo for complete cycles then half-way through the forth cycle the screen went black then reset to the Power-On password request I have the quot Power-On quot password set to yes in the BIOS so I receive this request every time I power-up Also it s exactly the same if I choose any of the other options Safe Mode last known good configuration etc cycles of dots then half-way through the forth cycle it resets to the Power-On password request My last successful use of the XP partition went smoothly and in the days between visits to the XP partition I did nothing out of the ordinary in Win my avast Home Edition anti-virus updated many times I installed a couple of Win updates Defender definitions and a generic Win security update I ran CCleaner and Glary utilities a couple of times each and truly nothing out of the usual Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be And thanks again for any help

A:Suddenly Can't Boot XP Partition Of Dual-Boot Configuration

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:? Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Demystifying the Windows Registry.? Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.? Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.? Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.? The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results". Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.Ed Bott's Webog: Why I don?t use registry cleanersDo I need a Registry Cleaner?As I've said many times, registry cleaners, tune-up programs, and so-called "optimizers" are the current snake-oil of the internet. There are countless free programs like this and apparently some paid ones, as well.Do not be deceived. They promise performance you can only dream about....but only deliver a computer that is worse off than it was to begin with.Which os did you run the cleaners on just windows xp or windows 7? Also the windows 7 os runs just fine? I would try a repair using the command chkdsk /r in recovery console using the original windows xp disc (if you still have it if not we can still help you)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/316943/suddenly-cant-boot-xp-partition-of-dual-boot-configuration/
Relevancy 62.78%

I have a new laptop pre-installed with Windows 10 on a primary m.2 disk.
It also has an HDD that I divided into partitions.

Now I have an old laptop that has Windows 7 that holds programs and files that I left behind. I want those programs accessible in a Windows 7 environment. Therefore, I cloned my Windows 7 to a spare partition on my laptop's HDD. Right now, I have Windows 10 on primary SSD and cloned Windows 7 on a partition of secondary HDD.

However, the problem is that, while the disk cloning process went successfully, it's not bootable. So my question is: how do I make the disk with Windows 7 bootable?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/57645-dual-boot-setup-pre-installed-windows-10-cloned-windows-7dows.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I lost access to my windows 7 drive (Dual-boot windows 7 & Ubuntu). every time I try to run Windows 7 I get the message: Bootmgr is compressed, Press CTRL_ALT-DEL to restart. I could run Bootrec /fixmbr or diskpart or attrib to rebuild my mbr table through DOS command window using my windows 7 recovery CD. The problem I cannot access drive C: where my windows 7 are. I get the error message: Cannot open volume for direct access or system cannot find the drive path or specified. I still can access all my windows folders and files through home folder in Ubuntu. I don't want to reformat and reinstall windows. Is there is a way to run the DOS commands within Ubuntu or any other advice to how to fix this issue.

A:Lost access to Windows 7 Drive (Dual-Boot Windows 7 & Ubuntu)

Hi,

Please see whether the steps outline in this tutorial will be of help:

MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/249212-lost-access-windows-7-drive-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Just today I decided to download the Windows consumer preview and setup my PC to dual boot with it I am running Windows home premium bit and the bit windows on my other partition After setting up a separate partition on my harddrive and loading windows to this partition I was all up and running I had no problems setting up or running windows the problem came when I booted back to windows for the first time When I booted into windows I was getting the quot unable to identify network quot error and no network connectivity First thing I tried was simply disable enabling my network adapter thinking it was just some hiccup No luck there Next I pulled the power from my router and let it completely reboot Still no luck I then shut down my pc and booted back into windows 8 with windows boot after setting dual network up 7 Solved: Windows issue and sure enough I am able to get internet connectivity when I am running windows This got me to thinking that when I loaded windows there may be some new drivers installed for my network card that are somehow causing issues when I load into windows again Not sure how this is possible I was under the understanding that when I loaded Win to the separate partition that it would keep all it s drivers and settings there and not effect anything when I was loaded back on windows This logic could be completely wrong I don t know So I rebooted and loaded back into windows went Solved: Windows 7 network issue after setting up dual boot with windows 8 into device manager and uninstalled both network adapters and drivers and rebooted into windows again so it could re-discover and setup the network cards with default windows drivers This did not work either and I am still getting the same error I am curious if anyone has any suggestions or any idea what may be going on to cause this If not I will likely remove the partition and windows from my machine since it seems pretty clear that it has to be the culprit for my issues Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Solved: Windows 7 network issue after setting up dual boot with windows 8

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-7-network-issue-after-setting-up-dual-boot-with-windows-8.1043641/
Relevancy 62.78%

I Windows Dual Asus on boot S550CM Windows Sonic 8 7 & Master have a brand new no data Asus Sonic Master S CM laptop with a TB Dual boot Windows 7 & Windows 8 on Asus Sonic Master S550CM hd and GB Ram It came preinstalled with Windows The laptop is going to be used by a senior and Windows is just too complicated for her Originally I was planning on getting rid of Windows and installing Windows but I'm starting to think a dual boot might be the better idea I've spent several hours looking for info on drivers and whether it's feasible to dual boot but I'm not getting very satisfactory information Asus com doesn't seem to offer any information either So I'm posting my first thread to a forum - ever Dual boot Windows 7 & Windows 8 on Asus Sonic Master S550CM - if I've posted this in the wrong area my apologies The hd has two partitions OS C GB and Data D GB I'm thinking that I should shrink C to GB and rename it E and install Windows on E leaving Data D to be accessed from both Windows and Windows I have just enough tech skill to get myself in trouble on these complicated projects I have dual booted computers before Windows Windows Windows XP but not a laptop My questions are Has anyone successfully done this Are there other quot things quot I should do ie I read that I should turn off fast start-up I also read I should disable secure boot in the bios but the bios won't let me select secure boot to disable it Which Windows should I install the current O S is Windows -bit Will the touch screen still function in Windows Can I make Windows the quot default quot boot so she won't have to actually select it When If the time comes will I be able to easily take Windows off What am I missing or not thinking of Other suggestions Thanks for your help

A:Dual boot Windows 7 & Windows 8 on Asus Sonic Master S550CM

1) Downgrade to Windows 7.
Downgrade Windows 8 to Windows 7
Warning you must have the UEFI/BIOS firmware setting in Step Three set.

Make sure you read the NOTE at Step three.

2) If Using a USB Pen drive on a PC with a UEFI BIOS.
USB Pen drive need to be formatted to FAT32 as in
UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows
Take note of Step 11 for Windows 7.
Also you will need to use a USB 2.0 port, as there are no USB 3.0 drivers in Windows 7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/304072-dual-boot-windows-7-windows-8-asus-sonic-master-s550cm.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Now that we have the ability to clean install onto a pre-existing machine and then activate using the pre-existing key Created a GB partition for Booted from USB installer created today so latest version Installed into said GB partition install) Windows 10 Laptop. to a Adding dual-boot 7 Windows (clean with no reported errors Installer Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop. first reboot re-loaded the installer so removed and rebooted You'd think they would do something about this but I'm not holding Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop. my breath Also few walkthrus mention this fact Boots Windows original bootloader with no sign of the install so unable to continue on with the setup Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop. Booted into and I can see the installed partition with no drive letter obviously Assigned a drive letter and explorer shows Win files are present and what looks like a bootloader According to various sources a Win install will lay down its own bootloader and provide a dual-boot to the pre-existing o s in this case Win As a quick and dirty I used EasyBCD to create a third entry to inside the bootloader but it throws an error when trying to use that option something about not being able to verify the o s It should be noted this is an MBR arrangement a Dell machine with a separate GB OEM recovery partition containing the Win bootloader Any quot intelligent quot ideas much appreciated

A:Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop.

From an elevated ("Run as administrator") command prompt in Windows 7 try:

bcdboot e:\Windows

The path in red will be the path to the Windows 10 "Windows" folder.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/42824-adding-windows-10-dual-boot-clean-install-windows-7-laptop.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello,

I have a dual boot machine with Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008. I have Windows Defender version 1.1.1600.1 for WinServer and McAffee for Windows 7. Recently I have been having some trouble with McAffee. Will Windows Defender provide protection for both OS's or do I need to continue to troubleshoot the McAffee issue?

Thanks,
Scott

A:AntiVirus for Dual Boot System -Windows 7/Windows Server 2008

Windows Defender will only run when the OS it is installed on is running.
So, for you it will only run when you boot up Windows Server.

Windows Defender is not an Anti Virus program.
It is Anti Malware and intended to run alongside a real-time Anti Virus program.

You might consider un-installing McAffe and using a different A/V such as Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, etc...

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/255983-antivirus-dual-boot-system-windows-7-windows-server-2008-a.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Greetings I have installed Ubuntu Ubuntu animation Windows dual-boot, 7 7 Windows problems logo LTS -bit alongside Windows Professional -bit OS in dual-boot configuration with GRUB beta Both OSs are up to date however occasionally I do not get the animated Windows logo in the Windows boot-up and a distorted screen is displayed instead until I am presented with the Ubuntu Windows 7 dual-boot, Windows 7 logo animation problems login screen This Ubuntu Windows 7 dual-boot, Windows 7 logo animation problems issue was non-existent before my Ubuntu installation and I am not able to fix it I should also note that the Windows boots up but this artefact is really annoying I already posted this on askubuntu com but received no reply for screen-shots you may wish to check it After Ubuntu installation Windows experiences boot-up issues - Ask Ubuntu So far I have tried a command on the Windows console but it did not resolve the issue By the way I experience this problem occasionally and in these cases mostly the laptop is running on battery power My laptop brand and model is Dell Latitude E respectively Any help and or suggestion is greatly appreciated

A:Ubuntu Windows 7 dual-boot, Windows 7 logo animation problems

The link below might be a good starting point,

linux - Problem setting command-line console resolution. vbeinfo in grub2 does not report all resolutions - Super User

Good luck

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/377751-ubuntu-windows-7-dual-boot-windows-7-logo-animation-problems.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi

If everything goes well I'll be building my first gaming desktop later this year.
One of the scenarios I'm considering is having 4 hard disks and two OSs,
a1, a2, b1, b2
the a disks would be 128 SSDs each with its copy of Win7,
the b disks would be 1 TB HDDs with data.

I want a1 (when I boot with it) to recognize only b1, the same with a2/b2.
In sum, I want one of the data disks not to be seen/accessed by the "other" OS.

Is this possible, and if yes how?

Regards

A:Windows 7 dual boot dual disks

Just remove the unwanted drive letters in Disk Mgmt and it will not be seen in Explorer.
During install of each OS, unplug all other drives. Set preferred OS to boot first in BIOS setup, then trigger the other OS SSD using BIOS Boot Menu shortcut key.
If this isn't to your liking install EasyBCD to add the secondary OS to a Windows Boot Menu. This way the drives will still be independently bootable to come and go as you please. They would not if you leave the other one plugged in during install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/334748-windows-7-dual-boot-dual-disks.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I am trying to dual boot windows 8 along side my current version of windows 7. I tried using the disk management utility to shrink my C: Drive partition and then to create a new simple volume for the unallocated space that was freed up. When I tried to install windows 8 on this partition it gave me the message that the partition was dynamic and therefore windows 8 could not be installed on it. How would I create a basic partition to install windows 8 on?

Here is a screenshot of the disk management.
And here is a screenshot of the disk management with the partition I tried to install windows 8 on.

A:Dual Boot Windows 7 and 8, Windows 8 cannot install on dynamic disk

Use Partition Wizard version 4.2.2 boot cd to convert it back to primary.

How did it get converted to dynamic in the 1st place ?

Did you ignore the message telling you it would be converted to dynamic ?

Windows 8 is not worth the effort, Trust me !!!

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/264195-dual-boot-windows-7-8-windows-8-cannot-install-dynamic-disk.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I am not sure how to do this I originally had XP and added another drive installing windows professional bit and have a dual boot system I transferred or saved all of the data from the XP drive and want to format it however it will not allow me to format it I boot up on drive C which is w but can select to boot up on drive D which is XP I have attached screen shot of the disk manager but Disk is D is NTFS Healthy System Active Primary Partition which is the windows XP drive Disk is C is NTFS Healthy Boot Page File Active Crash Dump Primary pro) on drive (windows system boot 7 dual to (windows How xp) format Partition which is the w p drive How to format drive (windows xp) on dual boot system (windows 7 pro) Not sure how to do this without loosing the w p drive I thought about unplugging the w p drive and How to format drive (windows xp) on dual boot system (windows 7 pro) booting from the w p disk but not sure how that would work when plugging the original w p drive back in Thanks

A:How to format drive (windows xp) on dual boot system (windows 7 pro)

I'd guess your problem is that you want to boot from C and format D, but Windows frowns at that when it sees that D contains your system files.

This probably happened because you left the XP drive connected when you installed Windows 7 to the other drive.

I also suspect that if you disconnect the D drive you can't boot at all from C. Is that correct? That would also be because your system files are on D.

If your system files were on C, I think you could then boot from C with D disconnected.

And you should also then be able to boot from C and format D.

You can use an application like BCDedit to copy system files from C to D.

Or you may be able to do it by disconnecting D and running system repair from a Windows install DVD--you may have to run it several times.

Others may have more ideas. That's my best guess just looking at the pic you posted.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/396721-how-format-drive-windows-xp-dual-boot-system-windows-7-pro.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi guys,

Am new to using computers. Can someone help me step by step process of how to install windows server 2003 r2 and windows 7 home premium 64 bit as a dual boot on my dell xps laptop.

thank you very much in advance..

A:dual boot of windows server 2003 r2 and windows 7 on dell xps

Should be the same as to Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

Install 2003 first. You'll know right away if it can see the HD or if it needs the SATA Drivers - Slipstream into Windows XP CD.

Once it's installed boot WIn7 installer to create the second partition you should leave space for during previous install. It will configure the Dual Boot menu, or else install EasyBCD to 7 to add 2003.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/289291-dual-boot-windows-server-2003-r2-windows-7-dell-xps.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello,
I am currently using a dual boot PC with Windows7 ultimate(32bit) running along with Ubuntu 12.04.
I am planning to upgrade my PC to Windows 10 keeping the dual boot.
I also want to clean install windows 10 after the upgrade to switch it to 64Bit as I am planning to increase my RAM to 8GB.
Will I need to reinstall Ubuntu after clean installing windows 10 64bit?(I heard the windows boot-loader ignores Ubuntu after clean install).
And the main problem is if i can do clean install Windows10 without formatting my other drives except "Local disk:C" because I have a lot of files on them.
Can anyone give me a step by step guide for clean installing by formatting my current "C" drive only please...
I want to keep my files on other partitions safe...

A:Update a dual boot Windows 7 32bit to Windows 10 64bit

Be careful - clean installing Windows 10 will probably break the dual boot mechanism as it does not recognise Linux.

General advice is to start with a fresh drive, install Windows 10, then linux.

It can be done the other way, but no expert, especially as you already have Windows 7.

You should make a full image backup of your drives eg using Macrium Reflect Free which will backup Linux partitions as well.

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/39103-update-dual-boot-windows-7-32bit-windows-10-64bit.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello,
I have a laptop with dual boot setup for Ubuntu/Windows 7. My company encrypted the Windows partition (McAfee) after which Windows no longer shows up in the boot loader. Can it be fixed?

thanks!

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/399584-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu-windows-disappears-after-encryption.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I have a install of Windows windows windows 7 do an boot How 8 I safely dual install? on existing on my computer which I am not willing to remove and reinstall I would How do I dual boot windows 8 safely on an existing windows 7 install? like to try out the Windows developer trials it seems logical given my situation to How do I dual boot windows 8 safely on an existing windows 7 install? dual boot allowing me to keep How do I dual boot windows 8 safely on an existing windows 7 install? my current install and test Windows simultaneously I have a spare gb hard drive I could use or I could create a partition on one of my existing hard drives but a partition is much less ideal I have tried dual booting linux on the hard drive before but the linux drive over rode my dual boot set up I obviously did something wrong and I could only boot to linux How can I safely dual boot Windows on this hard drive or a partition if necessary while keeping my Windows install and data in-tact Just to let you know I have over a TB of data spread over drives but only TB of hard drive space so I can't back up a lot of my data just a heads up Thanks Tom

A:How do I dual boot windows 8 safely on an existing windows 7 install?

Hello Tom.

Please check this tutorial by our resident expert, Brink: Dual Boot Installation - Windows 8 and Windows 7 or Vista - Windows 8 Forums

As you already have Windows 7 installed, you should find it straightforward.

I dual-booted the two on separate partitions on the same hard drive without any problems whatsoever.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/196736-how-do-i-dual-boot-windows-8-safely-existing-windows-7-install.html