Windows Support Forum

Problems deleting, moving, renaming files. VERY irritatin for a new OS

Q: Problems deleting, moving, renaming files. VERY irritatin for a new OS

I googled this problem and found this forum but the for a files. VERY new Problems OS deleting, renaming irritatin moving, thread is older and does not address the problem I'm on a network where I keep my files but I'm very aware of whether or not these might be open elsewhere From time to time at any old time of the day randomly it seems in other words I'll go in and try to arrange rename or get rid of files Problems deleting, moving, renaming files. VERY irritatin for a new OS and I'll get quot The action can't be completed because the file is open in Windows Explorer Close file and try again quot Except that the file ISN'T open anywhere I had this frustrating experience again just a moment ago so I went online to find this forum I didn't recall how the above message was quite worded so I went back to the same file and this time it allowed me to delete it Miffed I tried another and it worked again I tried yet another and this time I got the message This particular file I'm trying to delete hasn't been open for months Any Problems deleting, moving, renaming files. VERY irritatin for a new OS ideas

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Problems deleting, moving, renaming files. VERY irritatin for a new OS

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Problems deleting, moving, renaming files. VERY irritatin for a new OS

Are you using any media managing applications?
Have you tried setting the view to details instead of thumbnail?

Both of these could result in the system claiming the files are in use.
There is also an application I have personally found useful in detailing why files are 'locked'
Download Unlocker 1.9.1 - FileHippo.com

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/192879-problems-deleting-moving-renaming-files-very-irritatin-new-os.html
Relevancy 89.87%

So b asically whenever I try and delete or move a file I m problem and renaming Deleting, moving assuming Deleting, renaming and moving problem the deleting problem is rooted in the moving problem since deletion is just moving to the recylcing bin that progress bar either fills up the entire way and doesn t go or it just keeps calculating how long it will take or w e and that light green bar that hyperactively keeps moving well keeps moving and never ends I have to restart explorer exe from the task manager and then when Deleting, renaming and moving problem I go back it s all done So I can delete and move files but that progress bar just never leaves When I rename a file the window I do it in locks up So if it is desktop the desktop locks up If it is my personal folder the personal folder locks up Like moving deleting I have to restart explorer exe I downloaded Unlocker and it told me none of my files are locked up I can delete stuff with it just fine but that s because it deletes it off the face of the earth and not move it to the recycling bin The same problem happens when I move it though but when I rename a file using it the moving problem occurs bar fills up and just stops This is a huge problem because it means I can t delete files using non-explorer programs like mediamonkey and it also means that everytime someone sends me something through MSN my MSN locks up because it tries to move the file Also when I install some things it can t fully install because it can either not delete a file or it can t move it So yeah thanks P S Yes I have restarted nbsp

Relevancy 80.84%

Ok im having a problem with my network. I am an accessing a pc on the network, if I rename a file or copy a file the change wont show up unless I refresh the screen. Does anyone know how I could fix this?

A:Moving, renaming files on another pc

Won't show up, or doesn't show up as quickly as you would like?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/moving-renaming-files-on-another-pc.467475/
Relevancy 79.12%

I'm trying to delete and/or rename some of my music files that are located on my C: drive under My Documents/My Music and I keep getting a sharing violation error message on some of them. Some I can delete or rename just fine, but others I get this error message. Any suggestions?

I have Windows 2000 with Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1.

A:Deleting or Renaming Music Files

You could try unlocker.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/deleting-or-renaming-music-files.587730/
Relevancy 78.26%

Hi there What i describe below doesn't always happen but it does lots of times let's say I delete a folder it will tell me that problem and Renaming and files folders deleting access is denied a program is using it to solve that I have to open another Renaming and deleting folders and files problem folder or click on an image then go back to the folder I want to delete Renaming and deleting folders and files problem and delete it That's annoying Annoyance Renaming this is all over the network here's what I do Open randomly named folder to check content Go back up one folder level to rename the folder according to content ERROR Folder is in use by another program not specified please try again Try opening another folder and then going back again to rename originally wanted folder sometimes it works Wait - minutes before renaming Okay no wait I just tried to rename a folder without even going into the folder ERROR quot The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program Close the folder or file and try again quot That's very very annoying W ultimate x Thanks in advance

A:Renaming and deleting folders and files problem

Quote: Originally Posted by antoniomc

Hi there

What i describe below doesn't always happen but it does lots of times:
let's say I delete a folder.... it will tell me that access is denied, a program is using it.... to solve that, I have to open another folder, or click on an image, then go back to the folder I want to delete, and delete it. That's annoying.

Annoyance #2: Renaming (this is all over the network) here's what I do:

1. Open randomly named folder to check content.
2. Go back up one folder level to rename the folder according to content.
3. ERROR!!! Folder is in use by another program (not specified), please try again
4. Try opening another folder and then going back again to rename originally wanted folder... sometimes it works.
5. Wait 5-10 minutes before renaming.

Okay... no wait!! I just tried to rename a folder without even going into the folder....ERROR!! "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program. Close the folder or file and try again."

That's very very annoying
W7 ultimate x64
Thanks in advance.

Hi AntonioMC! Welcome to SevenForums! Have you got any back-up software running (e.g. Acronis True Image,Norton Ghost etc.)? As this may be using the files.

Thanks,
ZeshanA
If I helped, click the scales above my post and click I Approve.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/40991-renaming-deleting-folders-files-problem.html
Relevancy 78.26%

As the title states, whenever I right click on a file, beit on the desktop or in a folder somewhere, it can take anywhere between 10 and 20 seconds before I can click on "Delete" or "Rename". When I try clicking on one of the two, my CD drive (or hard drive?) starts spinning and it won't let me click on my desired action until it's up to its "cruising speed" in RPM.

Can anyone help with this issue?

(Running: Windows XP SP2)

A:Right-click hangs when deleting/renaming files

Have you hear the noise every since you got the PC? DO you run Anti Spyware and Anti Adware programs on you system weekly? When is the last time the Anti Virus program was updated? Have you tried Checkdisk/Scan Disk to be sure there are no errors on the HDD? Have you deleted Temp files and cache files? When is the last time you defragged the HDD?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/right-click-hangs-when-deleting-renaming-files.555220/
Relevancy 78.26%

I have had problems with the msvcrt dll file causing crashes in Adobe After reading for possible fixes I tried renaming msvcrt dll in c windows system to msvcrt Renaming & Solved: msvcrt.dll files deleting old with the intention Solved: Renaming & deleting msvcrt.dll files of pasting in a different version of msvcrt dll Whenever msvcrt dll is renamed or deleted however a new one is automatically regenerated If a msvcrt dll file is present a newer version cannot be pasted over it as an error comes up that the file already exists Somehow can t remember now I did manage to get a different version of msvcrt dll into the folder So then I had the original msvcrt dll named msvcrt old and the pasted in version was msvcrt dll This didn t fix my problem however so then I tried changing back This is where my new problem is - I can t change back to the old version of msvcrt dll If I delete the existing new dll file a copy is automatically regenerated I can t replace it by pasting over it If I delete it a new one is generated I can t rename the old file to msvcrt dll as I get the message that one already exists I tried rebooting and looked for a command prompt but I only appeared to have an option of safe mode with prompt which was a command prompt within safe mode windows I tried deleting and renaming there but the process was not allowed How can I change these files back or how do I get to a proper DOS prompt nbsp

Relevancy 78.26%

I do not want to start a new thread hence I am dropping my comments here.

My Windows explorer was preventing me from renaming and deleting files and it was quite a pain until I discovered this thread: Windows Explorer hangs when deleting or renaming files

Problem solved!

p/s: I joined this forum just to say thanks, very much appreciated help!

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/299470-explorer-preventing-me-renaming-deleting-files.html
Relevancy 78.26%

This problem probably occured while trying to establish a Internet Connection Service ICS beteen a Desktop running WIN XP Pro and a laptop running WIN K in the last few days but I Problem Renaming Folder or Deleting Files, m not entirely sure This problem pertains to the C Documents and Settings DC Local Settings Temporary Internet Files folder There are currently files within this folder Right clicking any of the nine files to view it s properties indicates Expires None Last Modified None Last Accessed AM I CANNOT Problem Deleting Files, or Renaming Folder delete any of the nine files If I try to delete one nothing happens No deletion or error message All nine of the files show an quot Internet Address of quot hcp system quot with various extensions xml htm css bmp If I look at the properties of the quot Temporary Internet Files quot folder It indicates Size MB Size on Disk MB Contains Files Folders It also indicates that the folder is read only and cannot quot check quot the quot Hidden quot box grayed out If I try to Delete the folder I get a error message indicating it is a Windows system folder and cannot be deleted It also cannot be renamed If I go into CLI mode and go to the quot Local Settings quot directory and do a quot dir quot command The result is that the quot Temporary Internet Files quot directory is not listed The only directories listed are quot Application Data quot Apps quot amp quot Temp quot I have tried to delete the files in Safe Mode without success Thanks for any help in resolving this problem Albert Resolution Cleared IE History nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-deleting-files-or-renaming-folder.583999/
Relevancy 77.83%

Hello,
since quite some time, I have a weird problem. When moving or renaming files on a Samba shares using my Windows 7 x64 machine as a client. These files always end up in the share's root folder because in the corresponding SMB packets, Windows 7 only sends
the filenames instead of the full paths. More details can be found
here.
I tried it with a new Windows install in a VM, and then it works. So, I assume that some hidden setting in my main machine is incorrect. Reinstalling because of this is not an option.
What might cause this strange behavior?
With best regards,
Patrick

Regards, Patrick

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3c85337b-4d52-4505-aaca-279392711a6b/problem-when-moving-or-renaming-files-on-samba-shares?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 77.4%

Ive Been Having This Problem For a Few Weeks now Havent had the chance to Actually Sit down and try to address the Issue until Today but i need to resolve this Issue As its Slowing up My Work and projects Pretty Much What Happens is When I have a File that I want to send to the Recycle Bin Delete Windows Explorer just Freezes and brings deleting Files... Professional Hangs 7 Renaming when Windows or Up a Status Bar as If its Loading But it never completes the Task because it just Sits there for a Really Long Time So Far This is What Ive Done -Clean Boot in which i goto Msconfig Windows 7 Professional Hangs when deleting or Renaming Files... and Adjust the settings to only Load system resources Upon Startup and such and then Reboot the Computer Ive done this Twice Already and still the same thing unable to Delete or Rename files -Ive Also tried to Startup Windows in Safe Mode and Try to Perform tasks as well and Still I was Unable to delete or Rename Files -Ive Ran a Virus Scan to see if it could be a potential Virus Issue although i found virus throughout my entire system i was still unable to delete or rename files -I also tried the CMD prompt when trying to manually delete or make changes to a File and i was unsuccessful with that -I Ran a ScanDsk to cleanup my drive and also Defrag but still Nothing -I also Created a Seperate User Account with Admin Settings to see if I could Perform Tasks on that User Account and Perhaps the current account I use was corrupted but i couldnt Rename or Delete Files in that Either I can Move The Files to Different Drives Other than the Recycle bin But i cant Delete them and Its only Certain files that are like this Im not sure if it is possibly an issue with the Registry or Some sort of Component Storage Corruption mumbo jumbo that ive been finding online Or what but If someone has a Fix For this and Can help I would Appreciate it thanks

A:Windows 7 Professional Hangs when deleting or Renaming Files...

For starters, try this free tool:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
Disable all of the non-Windows extensions, reboot and see if that helps.
If it does, re-enable ½ of them at a time to figure out where the problem lies.

Also, Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/577589/windows-7-professional-hangs-when-deleting-or-renaming-files/
Relevancy 77.4%

You know how UAC user account Control asks for permission when executing certain programs or when renaming or Moving/Renaming? & Before Can Block/Warn UAC Governing files File modding certain files in certain directories Well i wish i could have it govern over many other folders and files because i tend to accidentally move my hand when double-clicking and may move or rename things by mistake even for simple files like music and movies and pictures Also is there a way to put a password on Governing files & Can UAC Block/Warn Before File Moving/Renaming? giving such permissions For me a simple warning of the UAC popping up would be enough because it gives me a chance to change my mind if i made a mistake However it would be good to raise the security level even higher for totally blocking family or friends from moving stuff around yet allowing them to use those files I just dont want say my children to screw up their quot Cartoons quot folder that has all their cartoon avi's in it or other things Governing files & Can UAC Block/Warn Before File Moving/Renaming? yet i still want them to watch them

A:Governing files & Can UAC Block/Warn Before File Moving/Renaming?

I remember finding options to make some of the changes you speak of. You can type UAC in the start-menu search bar to find the regular UAC settings to up it to always notify. The easiest way to make those changes is to use gpedit.exe, but its not available in Home Premium. I'll keep looking around for you. Would you mind telling me exactly what version of 7 you have?

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/101288-governing-files-can-uac-block-warn-before-file-moving-renaming.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hello!

I'm posting for help with Windows 7. It seems that when I try to move or delete a program that is shared on all users from my desktop, it will affect the other users. How can I move or delete a file freely without it being deleted from the desktop of other users?

Help is greatly appreciated.

A:Deleting/moving files without affecting other users.

To move or delete files w/o affecting others is to copy the the file(s) to the other user(s) profiles in C:\Users\<username>\Desktop. Then remove the original files in C:\Users\Public\Desktop.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/deleting-moving-files-without-affecting-other-users.965112/
Relevancy 70.52%

I don't know if it is related to windows backup or not but initially when I setup the computer I set an external usb harddrive as the location to perform backups I Appears to 7 be Windows files moving/deleting started noticing that with two particular folders the files would occasionally disappear but I could always recover them from the backup location I checked all the settings but couldn't determine why it would perform the backup and then delete the files after the backup was done That Windows 7 Appears to be moving/deleting files seems asinine and I can't imagine why that would be Windows 7 Appears to be moving/deleting files default behavior The files in these two folders are sometimes used a lot but sometimes can be weeks without being accessed So after months of this happening where a few weeks would go by and my files would be gone when I would try to access them I finally disabled the backup convinced it was related to when those were being done Now it appears that it just deletes the files and because it isn't doing the Windows 7 Appears to be moving/deleting files backup I can't restore them Has anyone heard or seen an issue like this where when configuring to perform backups to an external drive something getting screwed up where the files in the original location are deleted after they are backed up Thanks for any ideas

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/380987-windows-7-appears-moving-deleting-files.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I'm using build 7229 and I had this problem with 7100 also.

If I'm trying to move / delete a big file (over 700MB) i'm getting the following window:

just calculating forever.

the hard disk light indicator ain't flashing.

it's working fine with XP.

I scanned my disk for errors and it's fine.

tried to delete / move using unlocker and cmd (DOS) and it's the same. with both of them nothing happens.

A:Problem deleting / moving big files with Win7

Yea i had the same problem but my files were small like 50 mb all up

but ahh i renamed the files then sent em to the recycle bin and it worked
so i was like yea

dont knw if it will help but ya

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/15453-problem-deleting-moving-big-files-win7.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Hello, I just made an account here because this bug is seriously bugging me. It shows up whenever I move or create any new files/folders.

I have googled the registry fix and that doesn't seem to be working. Is there any other known fix?

P.S. There is nothing wrong with Waterfox.

A:"Item not found" bug when moving or renaming files/folders

I would be very worried about Waterfox if a registry fiddle dumb has to be used to get it to work properly. If it was my computer I would remove all of it and wait for Mozilla to get it fixed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/240669-item-not-found-bug-when-moving-renaming-files-folders.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Dear All I have been searching a solution for this strange issue for long I'm an IT Admin in a windows domain where few PCs are affected with this issue When users delete files it gets deleted permanently and do not go to Recycle Bin Deleting moving files of instead removes permanently Recycle Bin to them Users do get alert that file will be deleted permanently I searched a lot and tried few solutions found Let me brief what I tried so far This is the Recycle Bin Properties dialog box which is strange that I don't Deleting files permanently removes them instead of moving to Recycle Bin see drives there After doing a lot of search I tried few solutions One is to delete Recycle Bin folder for all drives and restarting computer Then tried deleting a single file Though this method recreated Recycle Bin hidden folders it didn't fix my problem Then I found somewhere that booting in safe mode and then deleting a file would repair any issues with Recycle Bin Tried that as well Didn't fix my problem Please note that all of above actions done and screenshots taken are from an Admin account Is there anything further I can try to fix this issue Why did this happen in first place Thank you all

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b65c7325-4eb1-488a-87ae-0a12806ebff5/deleting-files-permanently-removes-them-instead-of-moving-to-recycle-bin?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 69.66%

I have When Moving Explorer Freezes Windows And Deleting Files had this problem for a while but I have just ignored but now that I am moving around a lot of files it is getting very annoying The problem I am running windows vista bit on a dell inspirion When I try to move or delete files in windows explorer the screen that pops up to show the progress freezes The file is moved or deleted successfully but the pop up remains I can then cancel the pop up but the cancel screen also remains I have to open up task manager to close windows explorer This problem happens in spurts sometimes all files do this and sometimes no files do Windows Explorer Freezes When Moving And Deleting Files this but it is always all of them or none of them This problem first presented itself a couple of months ago so I have no idea what the last piece of software was installed I believe I am up to date on all windows updates including service pack this problem came before service pack was installed Is this a common problem with Vista I will be happy to provide anymore information that is needed thanks in advance for all of the help

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/143807/windows-explorer-freezes-when-moving-and-deleting-files/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hello,

after moving to new location or deleting to recycle bin any files or folders AND ONLY after closing the last open folder in the taskbar, after those, when I try to open any folder,
explorer crashes and needs to be restarted (Windows Explorer has stopped working... Windows Explorer is restarting)

If those two are not performed (moving/deleting + closing last opened folder) there is no issue.

I ran SFC /SCANNOW, which has found and fixed 1 issue, but explorer still keeps crashing.

Where else should I try start troubleshooting (with less impact possible)?
Thank you!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/396569-windows-explorer-crashes-after-moving-deleting-files-folders.html
Relevancy 68.8%

My files, working Admin moving/deleting permission not needing friends computer is having issues with administrator moving/deleting files, needing Admin permission not working permissions I was tidying up his start menu moving shortcuts to appropriate folders Which I've done many times on other computer without admin issues appearing Some times when deleting moving files it says you will need to provide administrator permission to move this file it is a Windows Live Mail shortcut file continue skip cancel We click continue the UAC show Program Name File Operation Publisher Unknown File Origin Hard drive on this computer Yes No We click yes File Access Denied comes up You need permission to perform this action You require permission from the computer's admin to make changes to this file Some other functions that require Admin permission work ok some don't His account has been set as Administrator from day I've created another account and made it Administrator same issues He has Win bit gb ram McAfee Security Center v Build Affld McAfee Virus Scan v Build Last Update Any help would be appreciated Thanks Chris

A:moving/deleting files, needing Admin permission not working

You need to open Windows Explorer, then right click on the folder or even C:\ drive to take over Security permissions.  See http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-files/how-do-i-change-folder-and-file-permissions/465f2b42-63dd-4486-8dd1-c870290efeed

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/509417/movingdeleting-files-needing-admin-permission-not-working/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi everyone I'm having very annoying issues with my computer and need help Basically opening any folder takes at least sec moving copying and deleting give me time to grab a cup of coffee or and so on Opening applications isn't easy either the Start menu takes a long time to pop up as well But applications do work once they're open Even games such as the Sims heavy ones I mean I'm puzzled my tech guy had kind of repaired a similar episode months ago by replacing the network adapter hope that's the right word for it English is not my first language I mean the plaque that will connect me to the internet and formatting the computer Now the issue is fully back and I'm not using the network adapter anymore I disabled it and now I use a USB wifi adapter instead Taking it out makes no difference Could someone help me narrow down this issue Here's my PC info - AMD opening folders, deleting Slow files moving, and copying when performance Phenom triple core - GB RAM - Win XP Professional SP - MSI K a CF motherboard - Sapphire x pro graphics card - hard drive partitions my C drive the windows drive has about free GB and the D just for files has only I have conducted chkdsk r on both my partitions and there Slow performance when opening folders, moving, copying and deleting files were no errors found I couldn't find one of the logs tho just saw on the screen that no errors where found at the end As said everything was recently formatted nothing weird installed If I could copy and paste the taskmanager I would but nothing weird is there I seem to be always close to the GB of RAM but I don't think it should be as bad as it is It even takes long to open the notepad Any suggestions Thank you in advance

A:Slow performance when opening folders, moving, copying and deleting files

How large is your profile? To find out:

1) Open Windows Explorer

2) Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings

3) Right click on your username and select properties

If the Size is more than 100GB, I'd strongly suggest either deleting stuff you don't need or moving stuff that you to use often to some sort of "archive" folder outside of your profile.

Let me know if this helps. If not, we'll look a little deeper into the issue.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/slow-performance-when-opening-folders-moving-copying-and-deleting-files-531631.html
Relevancy 68.37%

This behavior just started within the past week or so. When I delete or move files in Windows Explorer, the files just stay in the right-hand pane. They DO get deleted or moved, but I have to hit F5 to refresh the view.

This never happened before, until about a week ago.

Any help?

Thanks in advance,
Ken

A:Windows Explorer doesn't update view when moving or deleting files

Hi Ken, Have you added any programs, or did updates just prior to the start of your problem?

BTW, "Welcome to the Seven Forums."

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/88960-windows-explorer-doesnt-update-view-when-moving-deleting-files.html
Relevancy 67.94%

This very annoying problem just recently showed up on my computer. When I delete, move or copypaste a file anywhere, the progress bar for Windows explorer gets stuck. The task itself is completed but the progress window hangs up. When I hit "cancel" the window reads "canceling task" but remains frozen. I'm forced to go into Task Manager and kill explorer.exe to get rid of it. Explorer.exe also hangs up on basic tasks like renaming files (which causes the window to crash) and using the search function in an open window.

Here's what it looks like...

I've already rebooted, virus scanned with two different scanners, defragged my drive and cleaned out all my temp files.

Any help will be appreciated.

A:Deleting/Moving/Pasting progress bar won't go away, other problems with explorer.exe

Not to be a d*$k, but I'm going to bump my thread because the problem is getting to be really annoying and interferes with my basic use of the computer. I'd appreciate some attention

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/deleting-moving-pasting-progress-bar-wont-go-away-other-problems-with-explorer-exe.988989/
Relevancy 67.94%

hi,
i have a problem renaming files with long filenames. in fact, it won't even let me delete or copy or cut them.
i think this may be the problem: windows doesn't have a problem with letting me write long filenames. it does have a problem if i try to move these files into another directory (an error message comes up saying that the file name is too long to move). but i think the problem is that it DOES let me rename the folder that the long filename is in, rendering the file inside useless to me. (i don't actually know if this is the problem, i'm too scared to test my theory).

but anyway, i was wondering if there was any way of renaming my file. i've tried downloading a renaming program but that didn't work. is there something i can type into the 'run' thing?
zac.

A:problems renaming files

You can try doing it from a command prompt. If the file names are very long (>255), then you masy have better luck using the "command" console rather than the "cmd" one. Rename the files first with old 8.3 DOS names and then rename them from within Windows.

Start by going to Start > Run, and typing:
cmd <Enter>

Navigate to the folder where the files are and use the "ren" command to rename them.

If that doesn't work, try using "command" instead of "cmd" in the Run box.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-renaming-files.346319/
Relevancy 63.64%

When I try to rename a folder , I get a comment like something open in another folder or program and I know of nothing that it is open - Hence I cant make a rename

Also if I MOVE a File to another folder, it just copies it , and then it wont let me delete the original folder ---

Doing this kind of stuff used to be so easy on XP , but I guess one has to learn it all over again

Your help would be appreciated-- Thanks,,,,,Ralph

A:FOLDERS -RENAMING and Moving

it seems that you've either got a file open in another program, or at least windows or some other software thinks you have.

i used to get this problem with winamp - i listen to a folder, decide i want to move it, but winamp keeps the file reference in its history list (or something) and windows complains when i move it, even after exiting winamp.

a reboot always worked for me.

if it doesn't, can you tell us what sort of folder you are trying to move/rename?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/96787-folders-renaming-moving.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi. Im running Windows 7 64bit and every time I move or delete a file, I get the "could not find item" message, but the tasks still performs successfully. Any ideas?

Relevancy 62.35%

I recently reinstalled Win 7 as it had started running very slowly. That problem's gone, but now there's a new annoyance of course. Whenever I rename or delete a folder, the operation isn't carried out unless I press F5 - in other words if I rename a folder to 'Games', it'll remain 'New Folder' until I press F5. This wasn't happening before; what's going on?

Thanks in advance for any help.

A:Strange problem with renaming/deleting

Note: Before you make any changes to the registry, please back it up using ERUNT. Directions are here: ERUNT - How to backup and restore Windows XP registry

Click Start, type regedit in the box and hit Enter.
Right click HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and click Find.
Type dontrefresh in the search box and hit Enter.

You will see the value called DontRefresh, right click it to change the value, set it to 0.

Restart your computer

From post by Kirsch: Solved - Desktop refresh

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/139497-strange-problem-renaming-deleting.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hey all I have recently created a new user account on my Windows Vista Home Premium bit OS because I had problems with my CPU Usage firing up to Renaming and User Accounts Deleting Anyways I made this new account and kept some of the files from my old account My problem is that the old account is still showing up in the Computer gt OS C gt Deleting and Renaming User Accounts Users folder and when I try to delete it it says I need permission I tried the quot Taking Ownership quot tutorial and that didn't help because it still said I needed permission to delete it I also tried to go to Properties gt Security and give myself the only admin on my computer complete rights to delete rename etc No such luck there either So I guess my two questions are Can I delete my old user account files and how Can I rename this new account so that it doesn't show up as OldName in the file directory Thanks for all your help Kev

A:Deleting and Renaming User Accounts

Hello Kev, and welcome to Vista Forums.

Yes, once you delete the old user account from User Accounts, you can safely delete it from C:\Users\(user name).

User Account - Delete

The only way to rename the C:\Users\(user name) folder is to create a new user account with a different name than the old one. If you want the same name as the old one, then it will require to create one dummy one to be able to work in, delete the old one, create another new one with the name you wanted, then delete the dummy one.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/206176-deleting-renaming-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 61.49%

OK I've gotten so frustrated by this that I'm now sufficiently motivated to post on the forum and include screenshots in the hopes of finding a solution Basically the problem is that when I try to rename or delete folders I tend to get the AGAIN renaming/deleting CANCEL) Difficulty (TRY or folders following error EVEN WHEN NOT IN USE I will also get the error when trying to move folders around with Drag Drop or using Keyboard Shortcuts CTRL X CTRL V SOMETIMES I have to cancel and try again later Sometimes I can just wait like one minute before clicking Try Again and it will work And the Difficulty renaming/deleting folders (TRY AGAIN or CANCEL) rest of the time I think I just give up until a restart The fact I can sometimes just wait a minute before clicking Try Again and it will work makes me wonder if my Difficulty renaming/deleting folders (TRY AGAIN or CANCEL) hard drive has just become extremely slow These are not folders quot in use quot as thats the first thing I check everytime to make sure all the files in them are closed I hope someone can provide a solution to this

A:Difficulty renaming/deleting folders (TRY AGAIN or CANCEL)

I'm wondering if an antivirus program has set itself a little too assertive -- scanning each and every file over and over?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/64253-difficulty-renaming-deleting-folders-try-again-cancel.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi!

I have an *.avi file and some mp3s that I need to delete, but I cant since Win XP keeps giving the message: "Cannot delete file or folder: it is in use by another person or program".

I have shut down, rebooted, shut all apz using the file, but I cant delete the file.

I saw a 'solved' thread talking about exactly the same problem as mine on this site, but it became solved and wasn't explanatory except that the values of the file's name in registry were required to be deleted and the computer should be rebooted to delete the files.

MY question is: where in registry do I find the name and value of the file? The data is stored on C:/temp and it's an avi file.

Thanks!!
Coolstone

Relevancy 61.49%

I'm running the bit version of Windows and it's fully up to date in terms of patches This issue only affects libraries The issue started out of manually new to Have folder etc refresh renaming/moving/creating after the blue a couple of weeks ago Have to manually refresh after renaming/moving/creating new folder etc I hadn't installed any new software or changed any settings and I also tried using System Restore to go back to a couple of days before this issue started but it didn't resolve the problem This is an example of what happens - I go into my library called quot Videos quot and right-click and choose New - Folder The new folder does not appear I either press F or right-click - refresh and then I can see the new folder I created I give the new folder a name for example quot test quot The folder shows the name quot test quot I rename the folder to something else for example quot renamedtest quot The folder still shows the name as quot test quot I either press F or right-click - refresh and then the folder name changes to quot renamedtest quot Basically any time I create a folder rename a file or folder delete a file folder move a file folder etc I do not see the effects of my actions until after I've manually refreshed This only affects libraries Googling for this issue reveals dozens and dozens of threads and posts with people having the same issue going back quite a way but I'm yet to find a solution for the problem Does anyone have any ideas One option is to just not use libraries but I would rather not have to resort to that Thanks

A:Have to manually refresh after renaming/moving/creating new folder etc

Does this behavior also occur in Safe Mode ?

Regardless of the answer to that question.
Please run this scan as well.
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/197211-have-manually-refresh-after-renaming-moving-creating-new-folder-etc.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi ...

New updates been up 2day and after downloading , installing n restart , I got a weird issue when tryin to rename a folder or move it then i get this : " Could not find this item" "There is no longer located in (Directory) verify the item's location and try again" . And when i click verify again then it works ! same when moving a folder ... hope that u guyz could help me fixin this , thx in advance .

A:Windows Update Affects Moving & Renaming Folders

Well I'm no help, but I've had that happen to me now and then at random times simce installing W7.

I never have figured out the real problem, but it's like there is a disconnect betweeen explorer and the real state of the file system occasionally and sometimes you are being shown wrong information. Then when you try to act on it (like deleting a file that really isn't there, either because it has not finished copying or it was already deleted) you get that error.

It usualy goes away by itself or sometimes after a restart.

It hasn't gotten any worse on my machine lately and am up to date. Only happens like once a month to me though.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/81600-windows-update-affects-moving-renaming-folders.html
Relevancy 61.06%

hello ladies and gents, i remember receving help from this forum before and it was great help. right now im in a jam with this and i hope you pros can get me out of it.

ok so this is how it goes, it all started yesterday when my computer was sounding funny for example the fan was goin up and down in sound if you know what i mean.

but today now its started when im deleting files or renaming them the explorer freezes and i need to open task manager to reboot the explorer everytime.

its strange that this has happened and ive tried lots of things and nothing has worked. so can anyone help me out. much appreciated

A:Windows Explorer Freezing When Deleting And Renaming A File

Hi -

Try the file deletions and renames in SAFEMODE.

Is there anything special about these files - what are some of the names of them and what folders are they located in?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-explorer-freezing-when-deleting-and-renaming-a-file-343977.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Say I move ping.exe or netstat.exe from the system32 folder and run the command. I know the command runs (used wireshark for ping.exe to capture packets) but the display on the screen is messed up - nothing shows up.
Any idea why?

Is this a feature of windows 7?
How can I work around this?

Thanks

A:moving/renaming system32 commands on win 7 doesnt work as expecte

Why do you need to move them why not run directly from elevated command prompt

eg

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/272040-moving-renaming-system32-commands-win-7-doesnt-work-expecte.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi I have a XP Home SP computer and whenever you try to delete rename create anything using explorer explorer crashes giving the send file/folder to crash Deleting/Renaming/Creating explorer causes a and dont send dialog Meaning i cant do anything I can use the command prompt to do these tasks however so i dont think its a hard disk issue I have tried all of the above in safe mode under the administrator and a normal user and i still get the Deleting/Renaming/Creating a file/folder causes explorer to crash errors I have also disabled all non-MS services and all unnecessary startup entries and the problem still occurs The computer runs Zonealarm Security Suite Firewall Anti-virus Anti-spyware etc and Adaware se personal both which turn up no viruses or spyware apart from the occasonal cookie So i dont think that it is a virus or spyware infection This behavior occurs over all system files Does anyone have any suggestions before i have to reinstall XP I will post a hijack this log if required Thanks for your time Grunty nbsp

Relevancy 59.34%

When I try to delete a large numbers of files and folders I get an error message at random "cannot delete folder the folder is not empty" (not word perfect but close). And the delete operation stops, but if I just hit delete again it carries on and then stops on a different folder and so on. In addition, once in a while I get a message that a folder cannot be deleted as the specified file or path cannot be found! Sometimes rebooting helps, but I have at least one folder that I had to move elsewhere as I cannot delete it (I can rename it and move it but not delete it)!
It is very strange and I hope someone has some idea what could be causing this.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problems-deleting-files-301782.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello all,

A few days ago my removeable [USB] media drive burped for some reason while playing music in iTunes.

Evidently when it did it hosed the file sctructure in my iTunes music folder on that drive. Now I am trying to delete those files and Vista is not letting me. When I try I get the following error message:

"The file you specified is not valid or is too long. Specify a different file name".

Looking at the file structure it looks like giberish, with all kinds of characters that are not of the English language.

I've tried deleting them in safe mode and had no luck there. I even ran Scandisk and that didn't help.

Next I tried uninstalling iTunes (no luck), CCleaner, and Glary's Utilities.

Any other options?

Thanks
David

Relevancy 59.34%

I am running XP pro with an NTFS second hard disk and am unable to delete a certain file from my hard drive. Whenever I try to delete the file I recieve an error message saying that the file is in use by another user or program, even when there are no other programs running and there is only my user account activated.

I have tried deleting the file through safe mode (which made no difference) and through the command prompt (which didn't work because the file name contained a space and so couldn't find the file).

If anybody has any suggestions of ways to solve this problem or has encountered the same thing their help would be greatly appreciated as the file is taking up a large amount of my hard disk.

Hope to hear from somebody soon

Jamie Brennan

A:Problems deleting files

Well, what is the file? Sometimes it's hard to delete files that may be part of a virus, in which case I recommend using a anti-virus program and scanning the file. You can use AVG, http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php to do that. Also, is it a Windows file?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-deleting-files.228871/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi all I have an issue with Vista Home Premium bit When I attempt to transfer files from a DVD to an installed hard drive I'm having many issues First if it is a large physical amount of files say gigs as they are moved Explorer gets slower and slower until it eventually just stops Second this is more pronounced with exe files and I start to get error messages that the file can not be read This is of course false I have confirmed that the exe files are intact and not corrupt and that moving files Explorer Problems with there are no issues with Problems moving files with Explorer the DVD on other machines I believe this is only happening on DVD's with exe files on them Am I missing a setting somehow in relationship to Explorer Some exe files move OK but almost none do In fact eventually Explorer just stops responding I Get no pop-up warnings of any kind other than the occasional message that Explorer can not read a specific file There is however nothing wrong with the file as I've tested on another system I have Vista bit on my laptop with a wimpy Centrino duo and it is way faster than Vista bit on my new i machine Software runs far faster of course but Explorer is maddening it is so slow These are not huge files over gig but instead a lot of small files I get some slowdown when moving from one hard drive to another but nothing like this Slow I can live with but I can't even complete a transfer of files from a DVD to the hard drive About a third or around gig transfers before the Problems moving files with Explorer issue gets really bad Then it won't even let me move the small files one at a time i Processor gigs DDR RAM three channel mode NO RAID SP version of Vista If I have not thoroughly confused everyone anyone know a sollution or can suggest where to start looking for the problem All driver's and bio's updated and double checked No Malware or spyware No other issues at all that I'm aware of I even hooked up an external DVD burner to make sure it was not hardware related and no joy The issue is with Explorer How can Explorer be seemingly incompatible with its own OS I should have mentioned that I Can actually run the exe files Problems moving files with Explorer from the DVD without any problems even though its being reported Explorer can not read the file

A:Problems moving files with Explorer

Hello Blaine,

Welcome to Vista Forums.

Have you always had this problem with this install? If the problem just started, you could try restoring to a point before the problem started. Info here if needed: System Restore - How to

If you have always had this problem you might try a system file check: System Files - SFC Command

Hope this helps. Please keep us posted.

Gary

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/230315-problems-moving-files-explorer.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Reading your forums helped me figure out how to move my user files from the (C:) to (F:) to rid of unwanted used space on my SSD to make room for games. In doing so; however, I am unable to view shared folders on my Samsung Smart TV, or share my user files over the network in windows 7 (IE: open networking and sharing center/choose homegroup and sharing options/click on the libraries I want to share) from my main computer. I click the libraries to share, save changes, then click back in to see that the options were unchecked again. I didn't find any forum talk about this so here I am.

I am able to view the other computers shared media on this computer and the TV can view other computers shared media, just not this one.

I had no issues before moving the user files.

A:Problems after moving user files

How did you move those folders - with the location tab in Properties ??

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/353948-problems-after-moving-user-files.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I saw a link to this forum in another I was at so decided to come here and try to find some help I bought a brand new computer from Dell at the end of Oct Since the first day I started using it xp windows Problems moving files around on I have been having the following problems Btw I have called Dell Tech Support but found them very unhelpful Problems moving files around on windows xp Ok here are my system specs first Windows XP Pentium IV ghz processor with HT gig harddrive NVIDIA GeForce FX with mb memory gig of Ram Now the problems I have trouble when downloading zipped files and moving Problems moving files around on windows xp files around on my pc I thought it was just with downloading files but that is not the problem because this happens even when I am just dragging and dropping files from one folder to another After so many times of dragging and dropping files my computer will lock up I will not be able to open up any more windows or folders I am not able to close down the folders I am working with and I sometimes get an error message sometimes I get nothing I end up restarting the computer from the start menu if it lets me After the reboot my computer works fine again until I start moving files around or downloading things and puttting them in the correct folders The error messages I have received are Could not complete the operation due to error ffff I usually get this one when I try to right click or open a new window after these problems start to occur I also receive messages that I am out of memory although I use a program called cacheman and it says I have mb of memory free I do not ever run out of memory doing anything else I can have as many windows or programs open as I want as long as I am not downloading files or moving files around on my pc I know this is a strange problem but I have never used Windows XP before getting this computer so I am hoping that the problems I am having might have to do with something in the settings somewhere and that maybe someone with more experience with Windows XP canhelp me Thank you for reading this and trying to help I understand if you have no idea what to tell me I may end up just taking it in to a computer store here and having them look at it Thought I would try asking around at different places first though So far no one has been able to help me though Thanks again And sorry this was so long nbsp

Relevancy 58.48%

I'm having a dire problem deleting or replacing .exe files.

When I delete an .exe file, it gives no error and is deleted. But when I return back to the folder, it's there.
It's only removed after some 2-3 minutes automatically. i.e., When I visit the folder after 2-3 mins, that file is gone.

Same problem I'm facing with replacing files. When I overwrite an .exe file, It gives an error:
"Destination Folder Access Denied
You need permission to perform this action."

If I try after 2-3 mins, I can easily overwrite the file.
I've got full control of the files under "Security" tab in the properties.

It's happening with each and every .exe file, It's driving me crazy. Please help.

A:Problems Deleting/Replacing .exe Files

Hi, welcome to the forums .exe files are executables they are programs what are you trying to do? You need to use programs and features to remove installed programs many entries are written to the registry and these must be removed, for a program to uninstall.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/problems-deleting-replacing-exe-files-531991.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi everyone I just signed up to post on these forums files Problems ANY D: drive deleting on hoping that somebody out there could Problems deleting ANY files on drive D: help me I m at residence at school about hrs away from home About a month ago my dad moved all my files from another hard drive to this computer s drive D and my operating system Windows XP Pro runs on drive C On my previous computer from which all the files Problems deleting ANY files on drive D: originated the files were also on a nd drive partitioned from the drive with the operating system but were fine then Now the problem I have been encountering with ALL files on drive D is that I can t delete any of them unless I do it manually by using the command prompt and typing each file name i want to delete An error box pops up saying quot Cannot delete file Cannot find specified path Make sure you specify the correct path quot This happens with every file I try to delete I remember my dad saying that he installed the Service Pack and that it caused some problems with the computer but I can t recall what If anyone has any idea what the problem is and how I could fix it please let me know I would appreciate it very much Thanks a lot Amanda nbsp

Relevancy 58.48%

Hi folks Hoping you can help with what I feels like a simple problem but very frustrating the problem exists around deleting folders succession I'm cleaning up my music collection so I'm deleting folders containing MP files I delete the first folder no issue but I try to delete the next and get the error quot the action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program quot However deleting Problems files/folders if I leave it five minutes then I can delete that second folder but if I try to delete a third the problem occurs till another five minutes and on and on on some occasions I have been able to delete two folders in succession but never more I have tried starting in safe mode suspending windows indexing and stopping processes in succession - no luck so far I contacted Dell support who were very confident it was a virus and if I paid Problems deleting files/folders the warranty charge they could definitely fix it but I felt a little suspect about this Never the less I have run AVG scan on the PC and anti-spyware for good measure Again no solution I am running windows seven on a dell studio

A:Problems deleting files/folders

Try downloading and scanning with malwarebytes.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

If nothing is found, try deleting with a clean boot.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/97398-problems-deleting-files-folders.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hello to all computer tech from files D deleting Problems drive members Problems deleting files from D drive I am having a bit of a problem so to speak Just recently I have been experiencing problems deleting files from my hard drive I have two hard drives on my PC C drive which is my primary drive which is gigs amp D drive which is my back up drive which is gigs note these drive are serperate hardwares they are not partitioned Well here is my issue I tried deleting a file from my D drive so I can free up my disk space on it because it is almost maxed out Free space mb s Total size gigs when I delete the file which is about gigs it dis-appears but when I check the space valus on my hard drive it still registers the same Free space mb s Total size gigs I see the deleted file in my recycling bin I have tried this with other files on D drive an still the same results I performed a virus scan on the D drive it came up clean I perfomed a error check on the drive by right clicking on D drive an clicking on Tools but still no success My final option was format my system which would not have made any sense because I would just be formating my C drive which is my primary drive but I did a reformat for the heck of it stll the same problem exsists with my D drive I can cannot move any files from my C to D drive exceeding mb s because when I do it says quot not enough disk space to move file quot this is the first time I have stubbled across an error like this it sounds critical Can some please help me with my issue I am using Windows Xp Home as my OS Please dont tell me I have to wipe out my entire D drive that where I have a my important info stored nbsp

A:Problems deleting files from D drive

Have you emptied the Recycle Bin? The file is still on the drive when in the bin.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-deleting-files-from-d-drive.734120/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hello,
I've got 2 Hard-drives on my computer - C: drive which is an 80GB IDE drive and F: drive which is a 120GB SATA drive.

Whenever I install a game altho it recognises the F: drive in the installation process it will freeze at about 10% and I'll have to restart the computer.

I tried copying a file from the C: drive to the F: drive and that also caused the computer to freeze around 10%.

If I look at the files that are already existing on F: drive I can see those with no issues, and can navigate my way around and load the files up completely fine.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the drive to freeze and lock up the computer?

Thanks

Oh I'm running Windows XP SP2 with AMD 3500+ processor and 1gb of RAM if thats any help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problems-moving-files-from-one-hard-drive-to-another.61798/
Relevancy 58.48%

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 running XP. I also have a Seagate 250 gig external hard drive where I keep music, photo, and movie files. Lately, I began to get delayed write errors when copying/moving files from the c drive to my external (g) drive. I looked online for some fixes, went into the properties of both drives, and disabled the cache (whatever that means!). Now, I'm not getting the delayed write errors, but the moving/copying of large files is taking much longer that it was before. Copying a 1 gig folder will now take up to 5 minutes, when before any of these issues started, it used to take a few seconds. I did a chkdsk of the external drive and the issue continues. Any ideas what could be going on? Thank you all in advance for your replies.

A:Problems copying and moving large files

Please do not double-post.

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/789336-slow-moving-copying-files.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-copying-and-moving-large-files.789540/
Relevancy 58.48%

What good is an operating system if you can't safely move and copy files and problems copying moving files Major I have had this and similar problems happen several times in Windows I am trying Major problems copying and moving files to move large video files I dragged the files into a sub folder Windows Explorer indicated move into x folder Major problems copying and moving files But Windows then shows the files in both the source and destination folders So I thought they must have been copied instead So I deleted the Major problems copying and moving files files from the source area but then they were gone from both places I always do shift-delete so they were gone gone Now I'm looking at the folder directory from a command prompt and it doesn't match what I see in Windows explorer There seems to be some confusion with moving verses copying and also--especially--updating or refreshing what is contained in folders This is not the first time I have been burned with this several times My only solution is to not trust what I am seeing and reboot my computer Come on guys This is a basic operating system function that I'm attempting here I am an old DOS guy from way back I am using an i processor and Windows Home Premium -bit

A:Major problems copying and moving files

I can consistently duplicate this. Move a file to subfolder. File still shows in source folder. Delete from source folder. File is deleted from subfolder (and then also disappears from source folder).

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/90104-major-problems-copying-moving-files.html
Relevancy 57.19%

A Word document suddenly changes into a 'read only' file which cannot be saved or deleted. I have 'saved' under different file names as instructed, but as a result I now have 10 versions of the document, 9 of which I don't want! The 'Help' file says go to 'Properties' and untick the 'read only' box. The boxes aren't ticked, so I still cannot delete. How do I delete these files?

A:Problems deleting files in Microsoft Word 2010

This might be worth looking at for a solution:
Word 2010 suddenly becomes Read-Only

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/256575-problems-deleting-files-microsoft-word-2010-a.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi I'm in desparate need of help I'm having a few problems with my PC The first problem is whenever I close Inbox-Windows mail and then click to go back into it it tells me and then have to go to Task Manager to close WinMail this then lets me open it The second problem is not being able to delete when I try to empty the recycle bin it just hangs again & etc) Bin problems PC Recycling files Major deleting (Mail, I go to Task Manager to end task and then when I check the recycle bin sometimes the item has been deleted but not always The third problems is whenever I delete history temporary internet files from Internet Explorer again this just hangs Also trying to delete Major PC problems (Mail, Recycling Bin & deleting files etc) from Favourites drop down or tool bar Major PC problems (Mail, Recycling Bin & deleting files etc) again this just hangs To some it up I cannot go into Windows Mail once I've closed the application and have problems deleting anything on my PC The virus guard is up-to-date have done a chkdsk - everything OK done scan disk done disk defragment Even purchased PC Tune-up this did nothing Please can anyone help I'm desparate HP Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack Processor AMD Athlon X Dual Cor Processor GHz -bit Operating System Thanks

A:Major PC problems (Mail, Recycling Bin & deleting files etc)

This sounds like a old feature that was in pro rat virus as a grief tool, are you able to view system restore points or have they gone missing? If your system restore points have disappeared then you may have fallen to a java drive by or somehow been infected in some other form! It is a shot in the dark but i had to recover from those same symptoms a few years ago! If it is a rat it is FUD hence the reason you can not pin point a problem!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/major-pc-problems-mail-recycling-bin-and-deleting-files-etc-615927.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I had 3 programs that would not load ( Acrobat reader, real player and quicktime). A tech guy I new suggested deleting all keys in the resigtry and then trying to reload the programs. I did with Acrobat reader and it solved the problem and reader works fine. I tried it with real player and quick time and ALL the registrykeys will delete except those found in
KKEYLOCAL Machine\software\classes\microsoft\windows\ininstall\ then quictime or realplayer etc

a. any idea why they wont delete?
b. any idea how to force then to delete?
c. any other suggestions on getting those programs to work?

the error I get is "error while opening key"

I tried to reinstall windows at www.windowsreinstall.com but my recovery disk says it is outdated so I cannot reinstall or repair my registry unless you know a way to get that done too.

any help..... will be eternally grateful...............

Relevancy 57.19%

I recently bought an external hard Problems files Drive: Hard External opening/moving drive which I wanted to use to store music and programs I use for my personal PC use I cut and pasted files from my existing hard drive onto my new external hard drive External Hard Drive: Problems opening/moving files which I had connected as per instructions via USB Now when I try and open the files or move them into a different location - other hard drive different folder etc I get messages to the effect of quot Cannot copy blah Cannot find the specified file quot or when I try and open a document in Word I get quot The document name or path is not valid quot However if I open up and view the drive in Windows Explorer I can see the file names types sizes all correct What is happened Someone told me that copying data onto the hard drive wasn t supported but that would then make the idea of having the drive seem almost redundant As an aside what s all this talk of enclosures in relation to external HD s Any help you can offer would be much appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 56.76%

Hi all After successfully cleaning up my desktop computer with the help infected deleting files. running Laptop RAV after problems and antivirus of your wonderful forum I decided to check out my laptop Now I thought my laptop should be clean since I have Norton Internet Security updated and running all the time First I disabled system restore enabled viewing my hidden files and folders went into safe mode and ran Trend Micro's Online virus scan with AutoCorrect on I was surprised when it found viruses as follows TROJ INSERVICE H c c download plugin exe TROJ PURITYSCN G c windows system excy exe TROJ PURITYSCN G c windows system upf all Well since these files could not be fixed I went ahead and deleted them Rebooted and everything still ok Next I rebooted back into Safe mode and ran RAV online virus scanner with AutoCorrect on Now RAV found more infected files as follows Scanning memory Scanning boot sectors Scanning files C Documents and Settings Markey Pappalardo Local Settings Application Data Microsoft Outlook Outlook pst- gt Attachment quot Smoke vbs quot - VBS Bagle Z dr - gt Infected C Documents and Settings Markey Pappalardo Local Settings Application Data Microsoft Outlook Outlook pst- gt Attachment quot Smoke vbs quot - VBS Bagle Z dr - gt Infected D Program Files Laptop problems after running RAV antivirus and deleting infected files. The Print Shop Photo Pro System Randomize dll - Backdoor Win Ralpha - gt Infected So I quot stupidly quot deleted these files also This is where my troubles began When I rebooted I got some error about OutLook couldn't find its data file OH NO So when I went into Outlook all my very important data was gone So I didn't panic yet since I had Laptop problems after running RAV antivirus and deleting infected files. a fairly recent backup on my external hard drive from BackUp MyPC Then I Laptop problems after running RAV antivirus and deleting infected files. tried to restore just the Outlook pst file that I deleted from the same directory But when I rebooted I still got nothing I tried several more times trying to restore the file to no avail Then I finally noticed that when I clicked on the file directory button next to the address bar I have three folders called Personal Folders one Outlook Today - MSN folder and one Archive folder Since it defaults to the Outlook Today folder the calendar and tasks are all empty But when I look at any of the Personal Folders than at the Calendar subfolder for example I found my restored data OK so now how do I fix this without messing it up more I need Help Please Should I just do a total system restore from my Backup MyPC file Also my backup files probably have the viruses too Thanks for all your help Markey

A:Laptop problems after running RAV antivirus and deleting infected files.

Now that you have recovered your pst file, you are ok.

The infected attachments are in that pst file. Simply look into the pst file for those emails/attatchments and delete them.

If your email is not scanned while coming into the pst file, never let an av touch them inside the pst file. Let the av find them, but don't let it touch them.

Open outlook and search for files with those attachment names and delete them. (Hold shift down while deleting to avoid the deleted items folder).

After this is done, close outlook and rescan the pst file and keep doing the above.

Edit:
Your computer should not be "infected", just those emails. With the bagle variants, your av won't run right. So your computer shouldn't be infected, just holding files that could infect you.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/laptop-problems-after-running-rav-antivirus-and-deleting-infected-files-16430.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I run a software tool that often generates 75,000 - 100,000 small files that need to be deleted after the software exits. Right now, it can take 8 - 10 minutes to permanently delete all these files from a single run, and I usually have 4 - 8 runs to deal with, so do the math...

I have tried shift-del to permanently delete but it doesn't work - Windows still copies everything to the recycle bin. (I thought shift-del was supposed to bypass the recycle bin...)

Also, while moving the files to the recycle bin, I often get an error message: "Error 0x80070050: The file exists."

Bottom line is that it takes a *really* long time just to delete these files and I need a quicker way to do it.

What's the solution?

Thanks in advance,

rgames

A:Problems deleting large number of files - painfully slow....

Hello rgames,

See if this helps Permanently Delete - Add to Context Menu

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/224970-problems-deleting-large-number-files-painfully-slow.html
Relevancy 56.76%

hello everyone, hope someone can help me out here!!

am usin win xp pro, and taskbar freezes completely and stops respondin whenever i use dial-up, so any ideas??

A:irritatin taskbar

Does your computer have all the Critical Updates and Service Packs installed?
Do you actually connect to your ISP and when its trying to connect it freezes?
Any yellow ? in the Device Manager?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/irritatin-taskbar-80902.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Recently I found out that my some of my laptop s Windows notifications have been not been working properly First off when I usually let my laptop go to sleep mode it made me click my user icon to proceed to my desktop screen but then every time I do it now I get a quot Windows Logon Interface Host has stopped working quot and quot Windows Problem Reporting has stopped working quot notifications Today I decided to open my Windows Task Manager and noticed that a process quot ddl exe quot or quot dll exe quot was running but then disappeared It had no username or description Next I decided to click on quot show processes from all users quot but then a quot Consent for UI for Administrative Applications has stopped working quot and quot Windows Problem Reporting has stopped quot notifications appeared I was not able to access the option to show all processes from all users Problems working alerts files my and have Having Windows deleting stopped Temp Thinking that clearing me Temp folder would help a little bit I decided to try that but then it said quot Consent for UI for Administrative Applications has stopped working quot and quot Windows Problem Reporting has stopped quot It seems like my administrative controls has been messed with How do I fix all of this One more thing A week or two ago my laptop did a windows update and now I see another quot Desktop quot folder that is empty in my user folder making it have two quot Desktop quot folders Was this supposed to happen I did move it to the Recycle Bin but then I started getting notifications that a quot Desktop folder did not exist quot

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/415959/having-problems-deleting-my-temp-files-and-windows-alerts-have-stopped-working/
Relevancy 55.47%

Just recently in the past three or four day or so I have been receiving the following error when in explorer I attempt to drag a folder from one directory to another or when explorer found") in ("Item folder not Error moving/renaming when I attempt to rename a folder either inline or through the properties dialog Code quot Item not found quot Could not find this item This is no longer located in original directory Verify the item's location and try again name of folder I'm trying to move Date created etc Try again Cancel When I press the quot Try Again quot button the folder and its contents move where they're supposed to without issue Notably I receive a new error for every subfolder and although there is a quot do this for the next x items quot checkbox available it doesn't work Error ("Item not found") when moving/renaming folder in explorer So when moving an individual folder with no subfolders or when renaming a folder it's a minor annoyance When moving say a gb music folder containing hundreds of subfolders between drives it's a significant nuisance I have no such issue when preforming the comparable actions with quot MOVE quot in the Error ("Item not found") when moving/renaming folder in explorer command prompt by the way Anyone know anything about this Your ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated Thanks I'm running Windows recently updated on a Thinkpad T if that helps

A:Error ("Item not found") when moving/renaming folder in explorer

Where are you moving the files to which directory, which drive? How much space is lift on the drive you are moving the files to? Try copying the files then pasting them or drag and drop them. Also try moving the files in chunks not in big segments of 10GB or more. Perform a CHKDSK /F on all drives.
Go to "Start" type in CMD located CMD.exe right click on CMD.exe then select "Run As Administrator" at the command prompt type in then hit enter...

Code:
CHKDSK /F
type in Y for yes then manually reboot.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/error-item-not-found-when-moving-renaming-folder-in-explorer-644203.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello,

I'm running Windows 7 x64 on a desktop PC. I download pictures, and rename them using the rename process in Windows Explorer. When I rename pictures in the folder, they'll have the name like pic (1) pic (2) pic (3) and so on. I can rename pictures until I reach pic (10001). At that point, Explorer no longer automatically increments them. The renaming status bar turns red, and an error message says: "The file name(s) would be too long for the destination folder". I am however, able to manually enter numbers higher than 10001, so I'm not sure what the error message is referencing.

Is there a registry entry, or environmental variable that I can increase the value to be greater than 10001?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/621282/when-renaming-files-is-there-a-maxvalue-set-for-files-in-a-folder-of-10001/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi everyone I just bought a new SSD I plan to whipe my old drive and put the OS onto the SSD On my current drive I quite a few games The question I have to external, back. Moving moving formatting files then is about backing up games moving the files I have steam origin and battlenet I tried to use steam back up before it stopped working and now I have a file that I can not delete I have not found Moving files to external, formatting then moving back. a battlenet backup Moving files to external, formatting then moving back. or an Origin backup Due to all of the games being digital I do not want to spend a day downloading all of my games over again The question I have Is it possible to move the files i e programx -- gt steamapps onto my external then when the clean install is done move the files back to the same location Is this a viable possible solution or what would you recommend I do to spare my data cap time Thanks all

A:Moving files to external, formatting then moving back.

If your system is working well the best way to do this is to take an image of the old drive and then restore it back to the SSD, or simply direct clone the old drive onto the SSD. I've had good results with Aomei Backupper to do this. If SSD space is a problem you could remove data and unused progs first, and do disk cleanup.

If the system is on its last leg, you're probably going to have to reinstall the progs onto a fresh install of Win7 on the SSD.

In either case, back up your valuable personal data.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/367867-moving-files-external-formatting-then-moving-back.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Every time I move or rename a folder, an "Item Not Found" dialog opens. It says "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in C:\...". When I click "Try Again", it moves/renames just fine.

Does anyone know why it's happening and how I can make it stop? It's incredibly annoying.

A:"Item Not Found" when Moving or Renaming

Have you checked to see if your antivirus program is scanning the folder when you first try to access it, thereby locking the folder and preventing any changes to it?

Try selecting the folder and waiting a few seconds - if that doesn't work try waiting up to a minute. If that does not have an effect, try disabling the live scanning feature temporarily and see if it makes a difference.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/82704-item-not-found-when-moving-renaming.html
Relevancy 54.61%

i don't know whether this is the right topic cos i didnt know where it would fit in but i was hoping someone could help me

i was downloading some music and somehow a pornographic file has appeared in my documents. i have tried to delete it but when i right click it the only options are play, open with.., send, and add to windows media player playlist.
its not harming my computer because i ran my virus check and nothing came up but its just the fact it is there.
anyone got any ideas?

darrenclarkie

A:Problem Deleting And Moving File

Hi darren, what type of file is it? e.g.exe or mpeg ect ect

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/78487/problem-deleting-and-moving-file/
Relevancy 54.61%

Initially, i installed Windows 7 in a new partition - N and left Vista in C drive until i was sure i wanted to switch. Does anyone know the proper or workable way to do it.

I'd like to do it in a way that I don't have to reinstall anything.

Is there a solution without a new install of Windows 7 in to C?

A:Deleting Vista - moving Win 7 Pro to Drive C

Not really.

Your registry, and countless other ini files, et al, contain hard coded references to N:\*

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/80893-deleting-vista-moving-win-7-pro-drive-c.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi everyone!

I had WinXP on C: partition, after some time I added Win7 and installed it on F: partition of the same hdd, and kept winXP because i didn't have printer drivers for win7. I tried to move win7 with Norton Ghost but when I tried to reboot from the new hdd i got the message ntldr missing. I think this is about XP, but not sure. So I did nothing.

Now I got a new printer, and a new (and faster) hdd. I want do remove XP and move my win7 to the new hdd. Can I format the C: partition, will it mess up win7? Would formatting help moving Win7 to another hdd? How can I do all this?

Edit: XP Pro+SP3, Win7 Ultimate 32-bit

A:Help needed! Deleting XP and moving win7

I honestly would suggest that you simply wipe the entire hard drive with KillDisk and re-install Windows 7 and start over.

I think you will pay dearly for all of this OS movement in the short term. KillDisk may take a few hours; the re-install of 7 < 1 hour flat.

KillDisk - http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

Make bootable KillDisk ISO CD w/ ImgBurn -
ImgBurn - http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/help-needed-deleting-xp-and-moving-win7-438158.html
Relevancy 54.61%

This very irritating problem just recently showed up on my computer. When I delete, move or copy-paste a file anywhere, the progress bar just gets stuck. The task itself gets completed but the progress window doesn't go away. When I hit "cancel" the window says "canceling task" but remains frozen. I'm forced to go into Task Manager and reset explorer.exe to get rid of it.

Here's what it looks like...

Any help will be appreciated. I've already tried rebooting and virus scanned the computer twice but to no avail....

A:Deleting/Moving/Pasting progress bar won't go away!

Clean out temp files - Download CCleaner 3.04.1389 - FileHippo.com

Defrag HDD - Download Defraggler 2.03.282 - FileHippo.com

If problem continues, boot into SAFEMODE and try file copy. Tap F8 key repeatedly during boot-up.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/deleting-moving-pasting-progress-bar-wont-go-away-558621.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello everyone, for some weeks now my PC has become very slow deleting or moving in Explorer and deleting or moving on the desktop. I have used all the software I could find to give it a good scub but nothing seems to work. Any ideas what I can try next? Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 53.75%

this happens on only partition i believe but i could be wrong i was trying to move everything from cyclic or redundency deleting error moving when that partition to another hard drive and format that bad partition but it it hard to do with all the freezing that happens which is my main problem the c r error started at the same time the slow fishy stuff was happening here is a hjt log Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved cyclic redundency error when moving or deleting at cyclic redundency error when moving or deleting PM on Platform Windows XP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS System Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgamsvr exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exe C WINDOWS system ZoneLabs vsmon exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS System DeltTray exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Linksys Wireless-G USB Wireless Network Monitor InfoMyCa exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgemc exe C Program Files Linksys Wireless-G USB Wireless Network Monitor WLService exe C Program Files Linksys Wireless-G USB Wireless Network Monitor WUSB Gv exe C Program Files SpywareGuard sgmain exe C Program Files SpywareGuard sgbhp exe C WINDOWS explorer exe C Documents and Settings Administrator Desktop programs HijackThis exe O - BHO SpywareGuard Download Protection - A E - F- - B - B DDD DB - C Program Files SpywareGuard dlprotect dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocx O - HKLM Run DeltTray DeltTray exe O - HKLM Run ATIPTA C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe O - HKLM Run WUSB Gv C Program Files Linksys Wireless-G USB Wireless Network Monitor InvokeSvc exe O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe O - HKLM Run UpdateManager quot C Program Files Common Files Sonic Update Manager sgtray exe quot r O - HKLM Run WinPatrol C PROGRA BILLPS WINPAT winpatrol exe O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKLM Run Zone Labs Client C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe O - HKLM Run AVG CC C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe STARTUP O - HKLM Run AVG EMC C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgemc exe O - HKLM Run NeroFilterCheck C WINDOWS system NeroCheck exe O - Startup SpywareGuard lnk C Program Files SpywareGuard sgmain exe O - Global Startup Adobe Reader Speed Launch lnk C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader reader sl exe O - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin npjpi dll O - Extra Tools menuitem Sun Java Console - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin npjpi dll O - Extra button AIM - AC E - - d -BC D- B D A DE - C Program Files AIM aim exe O - DPF A A - DA - DAF-B - F E E ActiveScan Installer Class - http www pandasoftware com activescan as asinst cab O - DPF B C F -F AB- EE- D-A EDA F Anonymizer Anti-Spyware Scanner - http download zonelabs com bin promotions spywaredetector WebAAS cab O - Service Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C WINDOWS System Ati evxx exe O - Service ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C WINDOWS system ati sgag exe O - Service AVG Alert Manager Server Avg Alrt - GRISOFT s r o - C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgamsvr exe O - Service AVG Update Service Avg UpdSvc - GRISOFT s r o - C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exe O - Service TrueVector Internet Monitor vsmon - Zone Labs LLC - C WINDOWS system ZoneLabs vsmon exe O - Service WUSB Gv SVC - Unknown owner - C Program Files Linksys Wireless-G USB Wireless Network Monitor WLService ... Read more

A:cyclic redundency error when moving or deleting

i just tried to defragment and it would not allow

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cyclic-redundency-error-when-moving-or-deleting.377702/
Relevancy 53.75%

hi guys

when i go to delete, move or copy a file i dialog comes up saying calculating time remaining, and it NEVER goes away even though the file has been moved copied or deleted. even if i press cancel it still doesnt go away. the only way i can seem to get rid of this is by ending the explorer.exe process using task manager

see attached image to see what i mean

also when i right click and select new then select something, creating the new item makes explorer crash

can anyone help me please?

thanks

Thunder708

A:Deleting, Moving, Copying,creating issues

Boot into SAFEMODE and try copy there. Does same issue occur?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/deleting-moving-copying-creating-issues-302477.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I've been using the RTM version of Windows Enterprise through my companies gold partnership msdn program moving deleting large Problem Windows / AVI's 7 So far I'm really impressed a great improvement on VISTA However a problem I used to get with VISTA which was solveable now haunts windows Windows 7 Problem moving / deleting large AVI's That is Vista used to spend a lot of time trying to preview AVI files stoping you from renaming moving or deleting them The fix I had with vista - ECHO Un-Registering shmedia dll REM Remove Media e g AVI preview type and hit enter regsvr u windir system shmedia dll However this doesn't work with Windows I don't want to disable all previews just the Windows 7 Problem moving / deleting large AVI's video files mainly AVI Any ideas Also on the new Windows toolbar I don't like how much extra space the notification icons take up e g the ones near the clock there all really spaced out Anyway this can be changed On vista and XP if I have a double height taskbar you get three rows of notification icons Now you just get two even with the new larger windows taskbar I've hidden just about as many as I can but still takes up of my task bar

A:Windows 7 Problem moving / deleting large AVI's

I don't have a solution for your problem, but I'd just like to remark Windows 7 has quite a few glitches when it comes to video and multimedia. Among the other ones I've noticed, thumbnails previews are EXTREMELY inconsistent. Some work, some don't. That is with videos playable by WMP. And even with the same codec, some work some don't. Also there's still things to be ironed out with MOV files support.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-problem-moving-deleting-large-avis-413056.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I have a dual boot 7 with 32bit and 64bit, and unknowingly installed the 32 first and 64 thereafter (on 2 partitions of SSD). I realise now that I want to delete 32bit and cannot format this partition.

I ask because I have a Win 10 partition on my HDD that I eventually want to clone to the SSD and thereafter only have 2 partitions with 64bit 7 & 10, and format the space left on the HDD as a backup location.

Attached are screenshots from disk management.

Can anybody help please?

A:Moving and deleting OS on triple-boot setup

You cannot delete D because it`s the Active partition and has the system files on it.

And if you wiped out D you wouldn`t be able to boot from C because it`s on an extended partition, it must be a primary partition, set Active and contain the system files.

You`d have to wipe out C and D in order to reinstall W7 64 bit, and I`m not sure you can do that as C and H are both part of an extended partition.

Why is there a gap between C and H, please post an unedited shot of Disk Management.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/401814-moving-deleting-os-triple-boot-setup.html
Relevancy 53.32%

how would i go about renaming a file from filename.something to filename.mp3 =P
thx for any help i get

A:renaming files

NOTE: I may be incorrect but try this(I think I am incorrect, but its worth a shot).

just change the ".something" to .mp3

EXAMPLE: metallica.avi, delete ".avi", type ".mp3"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-files.36716/
Relevancy 53.32%

When I rename a file on my computer, I just have to type in the name only and the extension (file type) is maintained. However, another employee in our office has to actually type in the new name with the extension. I'm thinking they must have something set differently somewhere in Windows XP. Can anyone help?

Relevancy 53.32%

I have a user who uses a laptop at home to VPN into the network so he can work from home. Everything works fine until he tries to rename a file. His computer gives him the error basically saying he is using invalid characters. He has tried to rename it very simple names (1, test, etc.). He can create folders and copy files into them and delete them but he just can't rename them. As soon as he gets back into the office he is able to rename folders and files using the exact same username and password he is using from home. Any ideas why he can't rename files and folders over the VPN?

Andrew

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/renaming-files-over-vpn-460284.html
Relevancy 53.32%

i now have roughly 4000 mp3s and i wanted to make a list of all of them,but at the end of each song on the list i want it to show what cd its on,i use file grabber to make the list,so when i put in a cd and load the list into file grabber i want it to say"song title"cd1.then i would load in another list from another cd and i want it to say"song title"cd2etc etc,so when i have my master list of all my music and i want to hear a song it will tell me cd to look on.is there a way to add an extension onto a batch of songs without renaming all of them.i hope i made myself clear on this---i use win 98

Relevancy 53.32%

In windows vista, when I wanted to rename files in a folder all I had to do was right click on one file, rename it and click tab to move to the next file to rename. I didn't have to right click every single file, click rename, type the name, press enter and then move on. This has become a huge problem for me in windows 7 and I cannot seem to find an answer of solution to this problem.

I open a folder that has 27 pictures; I want to rename those pictures in a consectutive order, but in the order I want them to be; for example: R2290-01 and I want that exact style to follow through until R2290-27. I am okay with renaming every file by hand, but I want to be able to "TAB" between them and not right click and rename everytime.

HELP ME PLEASE! This is driving me absolutely nuts.

A:Renaming files

If this is a common thing for you, might I suggest a completely different approach.
Introduction - Bulk Rename Utility

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/146845-renaming-files.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I've copied my itunes folder to an external drive as a backup now want to change the folder name but am not allowed .I am the administrator & permissions are set to full control . What do I need to do?

I have Vista home premium

Try this. http://paulstamatiou.com/2007/02/09/how-to...sta-permissions

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/229736/renaming-files/
Relevancy 53.32%

Ok, so there are two options: You can either make windows show file extensions like file.exe, or you can have it hide known extensions, like file . What bothers me, is why isn't there an option that hides everything but click to rename it, the extension shows up?

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Alex.

A:Renaming Files

Quote: Originally Posted by AlexRD

Ok, so there are two options: You can either make windows show file extensions like file.exe, or you can have it hide known extensions, like file . What bothers me, is why isn't there an option that hides everything but click to rename it, the extension shows up?

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Alex.

Alex, I don't believe that I have ever seen that. I firmly believe that the default should be to show file extensions instead of hide them. Big mistake and a great opening for the virus and trojan creators..

Just my opinion..

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/202441-renaming-files.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Greetings, I'm looking for a way to rename files via windows right click shell, a hidden windows setting or power toy, that will allow me to rename two files that already have identical names, but different file extensions, to a new but still identical name, without windows adding in an incremental number in parenthesis to the second file. I know I can just manually remove the added tag by hand however I have about 18,000 files to rename and am trying to cut down the amount of time it takes to do this. For example if I have two files, one is named thisdamnsong.cdg and one is named thisdamnsong.mp3 and I want to change them to thissong.cdg and thissong.mp3 without windows causing thissong (1).mp3 to occur. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best freeware I have found so far,

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-files.860264/
Relevancy 53.32%

When I rename multiple files which are already organized by number or alphabetical order...that previous order is lost. The files though renamed, are assigned a new and random oder. How can I retain the previous sequencing when renaming multiple files?
Hartlyn

A:renaming files

You can't unless you rename them individually. The Explorer will always append a number to your name when you rename several in one strike.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/289293-renaming-files.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I would like to know of a program that would let me remove the current name of files in a folder and replace the original filename with a number that represents how many files there are (goes up by one for each file). What's an app I can use that'll do this and how do I do this using that app?

Thanks in advance,

HexStar

Relevancy 53.32%

Hi
I am trying to completely rename an exe file using Resource Hacker. In the "version info" group there is the following information (shown with my edits in bold below). The problem is that although the filename, file description and icons are now the way i want, the name of the window that opens is still not changed.

Is there anything ive missed? Thanks for the help

Code:
1 VERSIONINFO
FILEVERSION 1,0,0,609
PRODUCTVERSION 1,0,0,609
FILEOS 0x4
FILETYPE 0x0
{
BLOCK "StringFileInfo"
{
BLOCK "040904B0"
{
VALUE "CompanyName", "Sibelius Software"
VALUE "FileDescription", "Sibelius 6"
VALUE "FileVersion", "01.00.00.0609"
VALUE "InternalName", "Sibelius 6"
VALUE "LegalCopyright", "Copyright (C) 2003"
VALUE "OriginalFilename", "Sibelius 6.exe"
VALUE "ProductName", "Sibelius 6"
VALUE "ProductVersion", "01.00.00.0609"
VALUE "FileName", "Sibelius 6"
}
}

BLOCK "VarFileInfo"
{
VALUE "Translation", 0x0409 0x04B0
}
}

A:Renaming .exe files

The name of the application Window could be stored anywhere. It could be in the resources, hard coded in the exe file or stored somewhere else. Every application is different.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/renaming-exe-files-673372.html
Relevancy 53.32%

When I rename a file in XP, right click - rename
the extension doesn't change.

i.e. renaming test.text to be .dat becomes test.dat.txt

How can I quickly change the entire name and extension ?
I have been going to DOS to rename it.

A:renaming files in XP

do you have on a right click the option to "open with"? If so...choose .dat association

If not... highlight & then hold down the shift key down & right click & choose "open with"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-files-in-xp.65347/
Relevancy 53.32%

Can any one help me? I try to rename my files/folders and upon typing in the new name I hit enter and the new file name won't appear until after I either close the window and re-open it or I refresh the window. Same thing happens when I right click and create a new folder, the folder won't appear until I refresh and then I name it and have to refresh yet again. This is getting quite annoying.

I don't know if it's a program that I have, a registry key that's corrupt or what. I seem to remember this starting after my computer did it's Automatic Updates, but I don't want to remove the wrong updates/programs/registry keys and mess up my computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

John

A:Renaming Files Don't Appear Right Away

Try going here and downloading and running this scan see if it fixes it the problem -- If not, tell me... I'll try looking into it too.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-files-dont-appear-right-away.640396/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have Windows XP operating system and I want to move the C drive partition to make the C drive larger. But I do not want to lose the data that is now stored on the C drive. Thank you for helping

A:Moving the hard drive partition without deleting data

I'd look at one of the many utlities available for doing just that, like Norton Ghost. In fact many retail drives that you purchase include a disk for doing that. I know that Seagate and Maxtor both include utilities for migrating HD's.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/moving-the-hard-drive-partition-without-deleting-data-269222.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I've had what I though to be intermittent problems with explorer getting hung up or taking forever while moving files to a different directory, or even deleting files. However, I have been doing some testing and found that I can copy/move/delete even gigabyte files in no time at all unless they are... Eureka!  Media files!Videos and music files seem to be the only ones with this kind of problem.  Does not matter the size.It gets hung on Time Remaining:   Calculating....                       Items Remaining:  Calculating...                       Speed...                Calculating...Or if trying to delete:It gets hung on Preparing to recycle                       Discovering items....                       Time Remaining:   Calculating....                       Items Remaining:  Calculating...                       Speed...                Calculating...Any ideas?

A:Extremely slow file copying / moving / deleting

Konectics, how many files do the folders containing the video and music file have? When copying/moving/deleting a file, the calculation time depends on not only the file size but the file number of its folder. It is recommended to separate to multiple sub-folders if you have a large number of video/music files. In addition, the issue can be related to third-party codecs or third-party components, espcially file system filter drivers, such as anti-virus drivers. You can boot the system into Safe Mode and have some tests. If Safe Mode works fine, you can then check the startup programs and loaded third-party services by running msconfig. Bowen

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/62a1926b-12ea-4bba-9927-94828ac02592/extremely-slow-file-copying-moving-deleting?forum=w7itproperf
Relevancy 53.32%

Hey folks well first of all i want to thank u for all the information files the right deleting after deleting hijack Help programs the with spy this posted Help deleting the right files with hijack this after deleting the spy programs on your forums that information was the one that helped me removing the spy programs on my comp but there is one last problem that i don t know what files i have to delete with the Hijackthis so this is my log file and i hope u can help me Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C ARCHIV THEHAC THD EXE C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS System Rundll exe C WINDOWS System RunDll exe C WINDOWS System pctspk exe C ARCHIV THEHAC THTASK EXE C Archivos de programa Hewlett-Packard HP Share-to-Web hpgs wnd exe C ARCHIV Save Save exe C ARCHIV HEWLET HPSHAR hpgs wnf exe C ARCHIV DAP DAP EXE C Archivos de programa Archivos comunes Real Update OB realsched exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C DOCUME GERARDO DATOSD pkdshtcg exe C DOCUME GERARDO CONFIG Temp Zfy exe C WINDOWS System ctfmon exe C Archivos de programa MSN Messenger MsnMsgr Exe C Archivos de programa Hewlett-Packard AiO hp psc series Bin hpobrt exe C Archivos de programa MP Dancer MP Dancer exe C ARCHIV HEWLET AiO Shared Bin hpoevm exe C Archivos de programa Hewlett-Packard AiO Shared bin hpOSTS exe C Archivos de programa Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Archivos de programa Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Archivos de programa Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Archivos de programa Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Documents and Settings GERARDO Escritorio HIJACKTHIS EXE R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant about blank R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar about blank R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings AutoConfigURL http proxycfg marketscore com gencfg asp id WU bGcINh amp id U MADfs a amp lp amp nsv R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName V nculos R - URLSearchHook CnsHook Class - D A- EF - F - A - AC ADD - C WINDOWS DOWNLO CnsHook dll O - BHO no name - CC -ACF - cac-A A -DD E - C Archivos de programa DAP DAPBHO dll O - BHO no name - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Archivos de programa Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper ocx O - BHO no name - C - C- D - - B - C Archivos de programa WinGet WinIE dll file missing O - BHO CMail - D -E A - DF -BE - B F EE EF - C ARCHIV Ces cesweb dll O - BHO no name - eb - ee - - cf -e f e b - C DOCUME GERARDO DATOSD ienqdriquch dll O - BHO no name - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c archivos de programa google googletoolbar dll O - BHO IE - D A- EF - F - A - AC ADD - C WINDOWS DOWNLO CnsHook dll O - Toolbar DAP Bar - - FC- baf- C C-BCE BD F - C Archivos de programa DAP DAPIEBar dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c archivos de programa google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run Cmaudio RunDll cmicnfg cpl CMICtrlWnd O - HKLM Run NeroCheck C WINDOWS System NeroCheck exe O - HKLM Run PCTVOICE pctspk exe O - HKLM Run SiS KHooker C WINDOWS System khooker exe O - HKLM Run SiSUSBRG C WINDOWS SiSUSBrg exe O - HKLM Run ADMINISTRADOR DE TAREAS C ARCHIV THEHAC THTASK EXE O - HKLM Run Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon C Archivos de programa Hewlett-Packard HP Share-to-Web hpgs wnd exe O - HKLM Run WhenUSave C ARCHIV Save Save exe O - HKLM Run Emurayden PSX AutoLauncher c Archivos de programa Emurayden PSX Emulator Emurayden PSX AutoLauncher exe O - HKLM Run DownloadAccelerator C ARCHIV DAP DAP EXE STARTUP O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Archivos de programa Archivos comunes Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKLM Run CnsMin Rundll exe C WINDOWS DOWNLO CnsMin dll Rundll O - HK... Read more

A:Help deleting the right files with hijack this after deleting the spy programs

you have quite a lot of nasties there

first open IE/tools/connections/click on your connection & untick use a proxy server & use autoconfiguration script

then run hijackthis, tick all below, make sure all browser & email windows are closed and press fix checked

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,AutoConfigURL = http://proxycfg.marketscore.com/gencfg.asp?id1=WU9$bGcINh8&id2=U340MADfs3a&lp=1&nsv=5.2.4.5
then Download & Run CWshredder from
http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
and make sure you follow the advice about the security updates listed at the bottom of the page, in order to prevent re-infection, otherwise you will be continually reinfected

then reboot &
Download Spybot - Search & Destroy from http://security.kolla.de

After installing, first press Online, press search for updates, then tick the updates it finds, then press download updates. Beside the download button is a little down pointed arrow, select one of the servers listed. If it doesn't work or you get an error message then try a different server

Next, close all Internet Explorer and OE windows, press 'Check for Problems', and have SpyBot remove all it finds that is marked in RED.

then reboot &
download AdAware 6
Before you scan with AdAware, check for updates of the reference file by using the "webupdate".
Then ........

Make sure the following settings are made and on -------"ON=GREEN"
From main window :Click "Start" then " Activate in-depth scan"

then......

click "Use custom scanning options>Customize" and have these options on: "Scan within archives" ,"Scan active processes","Scan registry", "Deep scan registry" ,"Scan my IE Favorites for banned URL" and "Scan my host-files"

then.........

go to settings(the gear on top of AdAware)>Tweak>Scanning engine and tick "Unload recognized processes during scanning" ...........then........"Cleaning engine" and "Let windows remove files in use at next reboot"

then...... click "proceed" to save your settings.

Now to scan itīs just to click the "Scan" button.

When scan is finished, mark everything for removal and get rid of it.

then post a new hijackthis log to check what is left

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-deleting-the-right-files-with-hijack-this-after-deleting-the-spy-programs.188147/
Relevancy 52.89%

I have a new PC and I am having trouble renaming files. For example jpeg pics and downloaded video clips. I right click on the file or picture and then a menu appears. I select rename and a little box appears and allows me to type in the new name but when I hit the enter key I get a warning that renaming the file extentiion may make the file unreadable and gives me an option of yes or no for renaming.
If I select yes the icon changes to a square with little coloured bits in it and the square has the top righthand conner folded over. The file will then not open.
On my old computer I changed the file names and picture names with no trouble with the right click method but now I can't.
Please can somone help.
I have xp home installed.
Thanks XBR.

Relevancy 52.89%

When i formatted it i chose the name "Haunted" now i need to change it to something else. I renamed my C:\ easy enough but im not sure on how or if i can change the USER File name.

Thanks ^_^

A:Renaming The User Files

Welcome
See answer by Kari.
created a new user but docs still saved in old user

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/161912-renaming-user-files.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello,

Firefox 64 bit (Namoroka 64 bit) keeps renaming my files every time I download them. It adds a (x) suffix to my files, which is very annoying.

Here is how it goes: I download a file, it keeps the original file name. But watch this: I delete the file from the folder it was downloaded to, I download it to the same folder and it renames it to myFile(1). Same for the next times: myFile(2), myFile(3). Remember, the original file is no longer present, yet it renames it like there was some file name conflict, which there isn't. What's more: it does this for all my other files! Keeps adding (x) suffix like there was a conflict.

So why does it keep doing this and how do I fix it? Thanks

Relevancy 52.89%

I want to rename multiple files in W Can I please get recommendations for a reliable freeware or shareware utility I have a series of Word files all in a common folder named quot ABC variable doc quot I want to change them to quot AB same-variable-as-before doc quot Going to a DOS prompt through Windows didn t work I tried quot ren ABC AB quot and got no change Well I did get a change -- it changed the case and gave me abC at the beginning of each filename instead of ABC It didn t get rid of the C as I wanted I rarely have need for this but a shareware utility may be worth getting if the price is reasonable Reliability and ensuring the stability and security of my business system is of paramount importance though which is why I m asking for multiple Renaming W98 in files recommendations here for what should be a rather simple task in theory Renaming multiple files in W98 I m very security- and stability-conscious Thanks JK nbsp

A:Renaming multiple files in W98

I have a (freeware) utility called "Lupas Rename" that works quite well for batch renaming. The only problem is that I've forgotten where I found it, and the help file lists no URL. Try doing a Google search to find it...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-multiple-files-in-w98.162827/
Relevancy 52.89%

I have an RCA Lyra MP3 player. When I download an audio file from a website I belong to (I am a paid member, it is not illegal and it's not music) it downloads by a certain name that the website has given it.

I then change the name on my computer and copy the file to my player. When I go to play the file the original name of the file is still there on the display. The name always begins with the name of the website and this player has a very small display so if I don't change the name I will never know what I am listening to.

If I open up the player contents on my computer it shows the filenames that I have given it....but when I play the files I see the original filenames.

This is very frustrating. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Relevancy 52.89%

I have a rather... interesting error, whenever i try to make a new folder, i can, just as long as i leave the name as new folder, but then when i want to rename, it gives me the "The file or folder does not exist" and i cant rename, what happened? Or what can i do? Running Ultimate here, 32bits.

A:Renaming folders and files.

After you have made the new folder, guess you have right clicked on it and checked that everything under Properties looks AOK?

Maybe clear the READ ONLY attribute and try again though you shouldn't have to do this really!

You could also try copying another old folder and pasting it onto the appropriate source (C) and try to rename it. Again this is kinda messy and should not be necessary.............

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-folders-and-files.632110/