Windows Support Forum

Using laptop as a desktop (lid closed)

Q: Using laptop as a desktop (lid closed)

Some background first. I live on a boat, with limited space for extras. I have 3 Win7 laptops (32 bit Home & Pro, 64 bit Pro) that I use for different things. I also have a Toshiba Dynadock (powered USB hub) to which my monitor and speakers are connected. By switching which machine the hub is plugged into, I can use each with the monitor and wireless keyboard & mouse.

My "problem" is storing the laptops. My question is, can I operate them with them standing on edge instead of flat? Seems like I should be able to, but would appreciate a more informed opinion, and/or any cautions about doing so.

Thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Using laptop as a desktop (lid closed)

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Using laptop as a desktop (lid closed)

I see no reason that this should not work. Just make sure that the cooling vents are not obstructed,

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/362041-using-laptop-desktop-lid-closed.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Not sure if I am posting this in the correct place Let me know if I should post in another section I have a month Toshiba laptop with windows home edition and Norton security suite desktop is closed Windows 7 freezes when IE8 Solved: No new software or hardware installed ijn the last months Everything working fine until this am When I started the computer up the screen remained black and I did not notice the harddrive light working First time for this So after several minutesof that I held down the start button Solved: Windows 7 desktop freezes when IE8 is closed until it turned off and then restarted It booted up normally Went on online as usual then closed IE and went to click on the icons on my desktop and nothing worked Right clicking on the desktop would not open the window so I could try refreshing it So I shut it down When shutting down it installed updates When it finally shut down and I rebooted and everything was working fine Opened IE surfed a little checked the icons and they were working I closed IE and the desk top was frozen again All the icons in the lower task bar worked ok and I could right click on the lower task bar and the window would open I shut it down again and it did the install of updates again Funny First time for that Well of course after the reboot the problem was still there If I open the task manager there are or IExplore exe running If I end those processes everything on the desk top starts working as it should If I open IE it asks me if I want to return the last webpage since the program was abruptly ended which it wasn t or go to my home page If I try to reopen IE with out closing by ending the processes in task manager the IE window will open and say Done but it is blank and not connected to the internet If more than window is open in IE and I close any one window the desktop freezes Any help would be appreciated Thanks Dave Update and edit Turned computer on this AM and it work fine without any of the above mentioned problems When I shut it down it did another update install of It s been working fine all day I never had updates days in row I blame Microsoft That s my story and I am sticking to it Dave nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-7-desktop-freezes-when-ie8-is-closed.964600/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hey i need some help. When i start my computer and im running windows xpafter some minutes de desktop starts freezing like the start bar when it hides it leaves like a shadow or my msg windows or any other program that i had working if i try to closet it wil close but the window will stay there
this always happens. Ichecked the processes and the cpu an memory is running ok. Please help me!!!

Dante 84

A:I just can't figure this out!(windows on desktop won't disapear when closed)

You should look for updated drivers for your graphics card. Remove the old driver and install the most recent one. If you need help with this, do you know what graphics card you have?

Also try this tweak to force a more frequent refresh of the desktop image:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/refreshspeedup.reg

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-just-cant-figure-this-out-windows-on-desktop-wont-disapear-when-closed.243351/
Relevancy 51.17%

The issue:

When running two or more programs, one of which is Acrobat X 10.1.3 and the other is IE9, on closing IE9, the last page visited stays in the Acrobat window.

I use CCleaner and went into Task Manager to make sure iexplorer was closed - including using Process Explorer to close the handles. Still the issue remains.

I have looked all over the 'net for the answer to what seems a common problem. Used all the words I could think of, could not find a single mention.

I have a screenshot if anyone is interested. Thanks.

A:Closed Program Screens Ghost on Desktop

Welcome to Seven Forums TexasBruiser. I've certainly seen that behavior on occasion with random occurrences, but not something repeatable. Is the behavior repeatable to the point you can try to troubleshoot it? If you close Acrobat and reopen it, is it back to normal? If you choose one of the bookmarks on left, does it then replace the IE "ghost"? This will be difficult to correct for sure. Does the same behavior occur if you close a Firefox window for instance? A Guy

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/231644-closed-program-screens-ghost-desktop.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Finally did a RD It was easy to set up surprised me and has done what I wanted as far as maintaining files on our other computer My remote desktop-after other session closed-question computer about question is Comp A is a new build connects to Comp B with RemoteDesktop and works OK When I leave the session Comp B which I connected to now wants a password typed in to get back in the system It quot s at the usual logon screen Didn't before Is this normal and could it be changed not requiring one like the main one I use Comp A and the nd question because the screen is bigger on Comp A now even using the controls in the RD logon when I close session the icons stay where they are at for the Comp A screen size which means I have to right click on the desktop on Comp B desktop select from the remote desktop-after session closed-question about other computer menu restore remote desktop-after session closed-question about other computer desktop to get it to go back to Comp B screen size Any way to auto do this Thanks

A:remote desktop-after session closed-question about other computer

When you login via Rd you log off the current user that's why you need to log back in you may like to try free TeamViewer you can connect via internet and share better

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/400753-remote-desktop-after-session-closed-question-about-other-computer.html
Relevancy 50.74%

When I close a program the desktop icon remains highlighted, until I mouse click elsewhere on the desktop. This only presents a real problem when I log off of my dial up server and the icon remains highlighted. If I forget to un-highlight it, my phone won't ring, although my answering machine will pick up the call. (strange,huh?) How can I solve this problem? I know my computer didn't always do this, but it's been doing it for quite a while now.

A:desktop icons remain highlighted after program closed

I have no idea why your phone would not ring simply because a desktop icon is highlighted. That highlighting thing is normal, I believe. Mine has always done that. The last used icon remains highlighted until another one, or as you've mentioned, the blank desktop, is clicked. Simply having it highlighted, however, does not open, or mean that the program is open (unless the desktop is set to open/run icon programs from a single-click instead of the double-click). I can highlight any icon, and it will stay highlighted until something else is clicked.

But I have no idea why a simply highlighted dial-up server icon would interfere with your phone ringing. Mine can be highlighted, but it does not interfere.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-icons-remain-highlighted-after-program-closed.365653/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello guys So i installed windows ultimate yesterday and installed all needed programs and I've got quot desktop window manager stopped working and was closed quot error every time i would startup so I tried to fix it and read here at forum that you could just make new profile user and it would be fixed after that i had another error and that's quot OEM stopped working quot when i would try to open single picture stopped Desktop and was Manager working closed has Window I thought the best solution would be to Desktop Window Manager has stopped working and was closed reinstall windows I installed windows again but this time it was proffessional I installed again almost every program i needed which i constantly use and everything was working great then i remembered that i didn't install AMD gaming evolved raptr it requested restart so i restarted and then error came back tried to uninstall the raptr but errors were still there desktop window manager stopped working and was closed and when picture opened OEM has stopped working Please help ASAP

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/desktop-window-manager-has-stopped-working-and-was-closed-1161137.html
Relevancy 50.74%

a couple weeks ago i got a trojan error and my computers desktop was really messed up i couldnt change the back round i think it was a virus so i rebooted the computer a couple days later and my cpu crashed like really messed up and i opened it and when i did the backround didnt even show i think this was because i closed Explorer= Trojan/Closed screen desktop black the explorer in task manager the day before and so it just doesnt work period i dont know what to do it looks black screen i can acess bios and f and f and f just my computer is really messed up no desktop just mouse and black screen when i load up but it also shows the xp loading so thats good and the disk check but it has so many errors i dont know what to do and i had lots of fun games on there that i Trojan/Closed Explorer= black desktop screen dont Trojan/Closed Explorer= black desktop screen feel like reinstalling but can somebody plz help me its pm eastern time May so i really dont know what to do PLZ HELP nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

I closed the desktop application in the task manager application section by mistake, subsequently I lost my desktop as you would expect, but now after reboots I just have the background image and nothing else. The windows button does nothing and the only thing I can open is the task manager.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need to get back to work. Cheers for your time

A:Closed destop app in task manager and now I no desktop and reboots take forever, Help

Syncro, Open Task Manager, click on File under the Processes tab, click New Task (Run...), type in: explorer.exe then click OK.
Tufenuf

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/closed-destop-app-in-task-manager-and-now-i-no-desktop-and-reboots-take-forever-help.632214/
Relevancy 49.45%

Hello,

The last days my laptop is not going to sleep when I close the lid; nothing happens. When I open the lid everything is still running.

I already tried a couple of things. I restored the laptop 5 days back, but no result. Also I closed the lid feature has sleep selected for both battery and plugged in.

Can someone please help me to solve this problem?

Thanks!

A:Laptop is not sleeping when lid closed

Does the display stay on when its closed? You may have to close it in a very dark room to tell. It could be that the switch used to tell the laptop that the lid is closed has failed. I have mine set to do nothing and my display will blank out, the back light turns off when I close the lid.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/52230-laptop-not-sleeping-when-lid-closed.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I was browsing my computer when my brothers laptop sounded like wen you login to windows and when i went and opened it it had a black screen and wasnt working i had to force restart it and turn it on again, it had alot of trash and i just factory restarted it and my mom brought it to his friend that is a computer engineer and he said its clean, it may have been a system glitch but i just wana be sure, i have bad memory so i dont remember well but i think thats what i heard but it might be my laptop but it did have a black screen.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573365/sound-on-a-closed-laptop/
Relevancy 49.45%

This may not be that unusual, but it has never happened to me before. My HP laptop was in sleep mode in my carry case after being brought in from a trip last night. I'm sitting in a quiet room this morning, when I suddenly hear it start up. I then took it out of the case, to find it totally cool, so I know it wasn't on all night, but can anyone tell me how it could start up like that?

I guess lesson one from this is never place it in a bag while in sleep mode.

Thanks for any information.

Peg

Relevancy 49.45%

I have a Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop running on windows 7. 64 bit.

For quite sometime now, my laptop has been freezing randomly. It occurs mostly when I am browsing the web or when playing a game. The computer also freezes when the lid is shut/enters hibernation mode.

When it freezes in hibernation/sleep mode, the cooling fan is extremely loud, so overheating may be a cause, but I'm not quite sure. I ran a virus/spyware check, but nothing came up. Any help would be appreciated.

A:Laptop freezes during use and while the lid is closed.

Welcome olund007.

Looking up the specs of the laptop it seems unlikely that you are running too much stuff that it would just freeze. If you suspect a heating issue, try clearing out the fans (best idea would be to use a can of compressed air and with some short quick bursts, spray inside the laptop). << Best to do this outside if it is really bad!

Just some things that might help:
Run system file checker
> - Click on the Start globe/button
> - Type cmd.exe and run as administrator
> - Then enter 'sfc /scannow'

Let that scan through.

You could also run a memory test and check disc:
> - As before, go to cmd.exe
> - Enter chkdsk c: /r
> - If some question appears, enter Y and restart computer.

To run memory test...
I am not sure if the Dell Inspiron 1764 has a memory tester with it, so you can just run the one that comes with windows
> - Click on the Start button/globe
> - Enter mdsched.exe
You should get asked to restart and run a check or something.

Try updating your drivers (graphics drivers, etc..) and download the latest versions of various software that you use (so up to date browser, java (if needed), etc..).

Hopefully this will help your instability issues.

Running a disc defrag and cleanup might be a good idea as well...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/laptop-freezes-during-use-and-while-the-lid-is-closed-639800.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I have a laptop, Sony Vaio, which have the power button on the right side, not over the keyboard like some other models.
So I would like to turn on the laptop by pushing the power button anytime - even when the lid is closed.
But this is not the case, I can only turn on the laptop when i open the lid.
I have connected my laptop to TV (as dock, via HDMI port) to look at movies.
I have changed the power settings to do nothing when i closing the lid.
Which works fine, but I still need to open a lid, turn on, and close the lid again!
I think it should be an easy way to solve this problem.
So i want to know is there any way to turn on windows when the lid is closed?

Thank you in advance!

A:Power up a laptop with the lid closed

Hardware, you would have to physically modify the hardware.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/182555-power-up-laptop-lid-closed.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I've been getting the BSOD for a few days now, this happens only when the laptop lid is closed. I have set the option "choose what closing the lid does" to "do nothing". this is because i have the broadband ON and I'm usually downloading stuff. When i open the lid
I see a box that says "windows has recovered from an unexpected error" and the problem event name has "blue screen"

I've attached the dump files........please help

A:BSOD when laptop lid is closed,

Quote: Originally Posted by miltonsimons

I've been getting the BSOD for a few days now, this happens only when the laptop lid is closed. I have set the option "choose what closing the lid does" to "do nothing". this is because i have the broadband ON and I'm usually downloading stuff. When i open the lid
I see a box that says "windows has recovered from an unexpected error" and the problem event name has "blue screen"

I've attached the dump files........please help

Easy. AVG and McAffee. Remove both and install Microsoft Security Essentials
I do notice McAffee which is a frequent cause of BSOD's. I would remove and replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials AT LEAST TO TEST!

http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe

Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows

Download tools and utilities | AVG Worldwide
It is never a good idea to run more than one active malware application at a time. The overlap can allow malware access to the very system your are trying to protect.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/203228-bsod-when-laptop-lid-closed.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello, I hope someone can help me. Brand new Acer Aspire with Windows 7. It worked okay for the first month and then started to make a noise when the lid is closed - thereby freezing. My power settings are set to Sleep upon closing the lid and Task bar is not on auto hide. I choose updates myself, so there is nothing unwanted. Any suggestions, any help? Thanks.

A:Acer Laptop freezes when lid is closed

Welcome to SF!

I suggest a system restore to get to a point before the troubles began.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/80832-acer-laptop-freezes-when-lid-closed.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi there so I accidentally closed my laptop lid while it was updating and now all this is coming on is the wallpaper wht do I do? it's a Sony vaio

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accidently-closed-my-laptop-while-updating.1163468/
Relevancy 49.02%

I notice that the top part around the hinge seems to have a bit of space (looseness) you want to call it between the two pieces. I gently press on it and notice it will make a creaky/ing sound from the plastic. I dont know if its me or if its common on laptops - but im pretty sure laptops should feel rock solid esp when closed - am I right? I dont know if I should change it. Especially right around the screen if I gently press on it, I can hear the plastic creak quite noticeably and feel space gaps between the plastics. I dont know, this is my 1st laptop, so I dont know how solid laptops are suppose to feel in hand.

from a very worried member
thanks.

A:My laptop feels bit wierd when closed

Are you saying the plastic casing "flexes"? How long have you had this laptop?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-laptop-feels-bit-wierd-when-closed.271980/
Relevancy 49.02%

hi im having a problem with my hibernation mode when my laptop is shut when i close the laptop windows restarts and leaves an error code when started up again the computer runs fine besides this and is days old i might add i have recently updated through microsoft 'a shut down update' standard procedure before this update hibernation worked fine i dont know if this could have anything to do with it but regardless i am new with vista my computer specs dell studio ' windows vista home premium bit service pack the problem signature is specified quot Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown quot Problem signature Problem Event Name BlueScreen OS Version Locale ID Additional information about the problem BCCode e BCP FFFFFFFFC BCP FFFFF FD B BCP FFFFFA D BCP FFFFFA D OS Version Service Pack Product Files that help describe the problem C Windows Minidump Mini - dmp C Users Kyle AppData Local Temp WER- - sysdata xml C Users Kyle AppData Local Temp WER E tmp version txt i am going to college laptop restarts closed is Windows when in a few days and this needs to be fixed please help in whatever way possible thank you

A:Windows restarts when laptop is closed

Originally Posted by khanson

hi, im having a problem with my hibernation mode when my laptop is shut.

when i close the laptop, windows restarts and leaves an error code when started up again. the computer runs fine besides this, and is days old i might add. i have recently updated through microsoft, 'a shut down update' standard procedure. before this update hibernation worked fine. i dont know if this could have anything to do with it, but regardless i am new with vista.

my computer specs:

dell studio 15'
windows vista home premium 64 bit
service pack 1
the problem signature is specified:

"Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown"

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
BCP2: FFFFF80001FD7B81
BCP3: FFFFFA60015D5798
BCP4: FFFFFA60015D5170
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini082609-07.dmp
C:\Users\Kyle\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-51246-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Kyle\AppData\Local\Temp\WER78E.tmp.version.txt

i am going to college in a few days and this needs to be fixed! please help in whatever way possible. thank you

Do us a favor go into C:\windows\minidump zip the dump file (*.dmp) and upload it for us to look at

Thanks

Ken

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/244194-windows-restarts-when-laptop-closed.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi,
first time here, I have about a week experience (pulled out some hair) with windows 8/8.1, but I consider myself pretty comfortable with Windows in general.

When my win8.1 laptop is in sleep mode, I can wake it with a mere touch of my external bluetooth k/b without any issues, as long as the lid is opened. If I close the lid, I can continue to use it as its connected to a big Samsung plasma tv. But if I let the laptop go to sleep (or put it to sleep myself thru the menu), I am unable to wake it back; I need to pull it out from a/v furniture, open the lid and press the power button.

Is this a win8 thing, an Acer Aspire thing, or worse it can't be done?
Anyone else able to wake from sleep their win8 laptop w/closed lid???

Thanks

A:Waking laptop from sleep with lid closed

Try going into the power options and set the option for what to do when the lid is closed to "do nothing".

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/40159-waking-laptop-sleep-lid-closed.html
Relevancy 49.02%

This problem started a few days ago. Whenever I close my laptop, the computer shuts down. I've done the obvious and checked the settings for sleep, hibernate and shutdown on lid close, but those are all set to sleep, not shutdown. As you might imagine, this issue is a real hassle. I've been losing work and spending far too long on start up time with this.

The laptop itself is an hp pavilion dv4, if that might have anything to do with it.

Any ideas?

A:unwanted shutdown when laptop is closed

Hi -Configure the notebook buttons and display panel lid behavior. HP Notebook PCs - Resolving Problems with Sleep and Hibernate Mode You may or may not have read this item from HPScroll down and see if the information relates to your problem -Thank You -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/448395/unwanted-shutdown-when-laptop-is-closed/
Relevancy 49.02%

Okay here goes I m not a programmer but I was wondering if it would be possible to write a little background program that would closed Program being lid monitor my to laptop's put my computer to lockdown when I closed the lid on my laptop computer Here is the command i wanted executed rundll user dll LockWorkStation Note Before anyone gives other options I do not want to use standby hibernate screen savers passwords or the win L Program to monitor my laptop's lid being closed And the option isn t Program to monitor my laptop's lid being closed under window s power control options ------------------------------------------------------------------------ This is the information I Program to monitor my laptop's lid being closed ve gotten so far If you check out this link http msdn microsoft com library d db -fe - d-b bb- c d ad ec xml asp It talks about detecting when a computer is closed or open - quot PO CB LID SWITCH STATE amp Indicates that the lid switch has changed states quot But is this in C or visual basic or something Finally my friend has posted this quot Basically it looks like the event is available at the driver level but not at the application level So you have to write a driver to capture this callback then pass it along somehow to an application which will do what you want quot nbsp

A:Program to monitor my laptop's lid being closed

No replies uh?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/program-to-monitor-my-laptops-lid-being-closed.277100/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi All
This is my first time on any forum so forgive me if I have gone to the wrong place. I have had the common problem of broken hinges on my L50 B. I have replaced both hinges and to all intent and purpose ever thing went well, i.e. the lid opens and closes great now. I have however done something wrong, the laptop now doesn't sleep when I close the lid. I have checked all the power settings and the advanced settings and they are set to sleep when lid is closed. Has anyone any idea what I may have done wrong. Can anyone tell me what the motherboard connection of the lid sensor switch looks like? Any help gratefully received.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?93435-LAptop-doesn-t-sleep-when-the-lid-is-closed
Relevancy 49.02%

I'm getting tired of finding half my battery being depleted because my laptop did not stay alseep.  Wondering if there is a way to fix this issue?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Is-there-a-fix-to-ensure-a-closed-laptop-Yoga-2-Pro-stays-asleep/td-p/3438641
Relevancy 49.02%

When I close the lid to my laptop (HP Pavilion) it will sometimes shut off. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't do it. In the power options I have it set to "do nothing" for both plugged in and battery for when the lid is closed but still for some reason it'll sometimes shut down.

I'm not sure if this has been asked and answered before, but there are just too many threads to go through them all and a Google search didn't turn anything up for my specific problem.

Any help would be great!

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/259512-laptop-shuts-down-randomly-when-lid-closed.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I have an Acer laptop with Windows 10 (plugged into house current), and would like Windows updates to be installed while I close the lid overnight. What would be proper power settings to accomplish this? Thanks.

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/66158-how-update-windows-10-when-laptop-lid-closed.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hey hey, so the problem is i want to leave my laptop running when doing renders that take hours on end. I've disabled the sleep mode in every way that I know how to (see screen shots). When the lid is open it doesn't go to sleep, but when it's closed after about minutes it goes into sleep mode (all fans off etc).

This never happened with windows 7 and i've triesd programs like insomnia which haven't helped at all. Id really love to get to the bottom of this, otherwise I might have to reluctantly revert to windows 7

Anyone offering ideas would be much appreciated. Cheers

A:Unwanted sleep when laptop is closed

Hi safety1g,

FYI, I have seen this behavior before on a few Sony Vaio models, and each time it was referred back to Sony support, where they said the option to "change what the lid does when closed" is/was not supported in their power management scheme and there was no workaround for this issue. So, just consider this an FYI at this point; however, if you can't get your issue resolved quicky, I would spend 10 minutes on the phone with your laptop's manufacturing support group to see if they can confirm a similar issue.

Good luck,

my2cents

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/34522-unwanted-sleep-when-laptop-closed.html
Relevancy 49.02%

sometimes "com surrogate not working" error comes but i dont think that is the problem behind disconnection main issue is that while is close the lid of my  laptop, after sometime it disconnects wifi automaticallyin the power options the closing lid option has been selected to do nothingthen also problem persistsdont know what to dowhen is open the lid again it connects

A:wireless disconnects when laptop lid is closed

Hi, You can turn this off using Device Manager (a) Go to Device Manager,(b) Expand Network adapters,(c) Right click Wireless adapter and select Properties,(d) Go to Power Management tab,(e) Untick Allow the computer to turn off ...(f) Click Ok/Apply             Regards. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/wireless-disconnects-when-laptop-lid-is-closed/td-p/5640429
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello!

I have been having problems with my ASUS laptop recently. I am not sure if this is related with the BSODs I've been having but the sound driver fails to boot up from time to time. I appreciate your assistance and time very much!

A:BSOD when lid of laptop is closed and idle

Welcome

The BSOD you are getting is due to the Atheros Network adapter driver.
Get an update for it.

Source | athrx.sys | Atheros network adapter driver
ATHEROS drivers for Microsoft Windows

Post back if you get more crashes

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/252666-bsod-when-lid-laptop-closed-idle.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I purchased a Toshiba Satellite S t-A rencently It has Windows not The network wireless adaptor is Realtek RTL E Wireless LAN n PCI-E NIC Unfortunately when I close the laptop lid the wireless internet connection disconnects I tried the following I made sure to go to the Realtek Wireless Network Adaptor in Device Manager and unchecked the quot Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power quot I also closed disconnects when Wireless is lid laptop went to the Power Options and set it so it does Nothing when Wireless disconnects when laptop lid is closed the lid is closed In Advanced Power Settings I Wireless disconnects when laptop lid is closed changed the Wireless Adaptor Settings' Power Saving Mode to Maximum Performance I updated the wireless network adaptor driver and that did not help I also removed it and put back an older driver which did not help either I removed the Toshiba Eco power management program that came with the computer I restarted the computer several times and I still have this problem The other laptops with Windows at our house do not do this Now I have to leave the laptop lid open when I am downloading something that will take awhile because the wifi shuts off after a few moments when I close the lid Has anyone else experienced this Is there a way to fix this I'm not sure if this is a Toshiba problem or Windows problem I'm tempted to return the laptop since this is quite annoying I tried searching the forum first but couldn't find anything helpful

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/35595-wireless-disconnects-when-laptop-lid-closed.html
Relevancy 49.02%

My brand new HP Pavilion x360 will only charge when the lid is closed or the computer is in sleep mode. I have tried changing any relevant power settings and have already consulted multiple friends. I'm wondering if there's a hidden setting I have yet to discover or if my battery is busted. The computer is under warantee so if I have to I can take it back to bestbuy and have it replaced, but if there's a dyi method that I've yet to try I would like to get all those out of the way as best buy is rather far away from my house.

A:Laptop only charging when lid is closed or computer is in sl...

Hello @dupbuck, Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. I understand that your notebook computer only charges when the lid is closed, or when the computer has entered sleep mode, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter! To configure your power options for charging when the lid is both up and active, I recommend following the steps in this document on Managing Power Options (Windows 8). Additionally, I also suggest following the steps below to reset the default power schemes for your computer: Step 1. Click the Start buttonStep 2. In the search box, type "Command Prompt"Step 3. Right-click Command PromptStep 4. Click Run as administratorStep 5. At the command prompt, type powercfg /restoredefaultschemes and press Enter  reference: http://superuser.com/questions/669571/windows-8-1-64-bit-power-schemes-gone Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!Regards

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Laptop-only-charging-when-lid-is-closed-or-computer-is-in/td-p/4800918
Relevancy 49.02%

I have a Dell Studio running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, and the laptop doesn't sleep when I close the lid, except I double-checked my settings in the control panel and it's supposed to sleep.

I've had the computer for over 6 months now and the problem first started yesterday, right after I installed the latest Windows updates. When I close the lid, the computer doesn't sleep, but even when I open the lid, nothing appears on the monitor. It's still black and unresponsive, although the power button isn't blinking, so I know it's still awake.

A:Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed

Hello ieatlikeawolf, Welcome to the Forum.

Could you answer a few questions?
Does the laptop go into sleep mode if you choose Sleep from the start menu?
Have you tried doing a System Restore to a point before you installed the updates?
Did you install Update KB976902 at the same time as other updates?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/138751-laptop-doesnt-sleep-when-lid-closed.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I have an hp laptop windows -bit fully updated via windows update when turns lid internet off Laptop closed I sometimes hook my laptop up to my TV via HDMI Laptop internet turns off when lid closed cable I am connecting to the internet and network via wireless card I have it set in power options so that when the lid is closed Laptop internet turns off when lid closed quot do nothing quot unfortunately when the lid closes the internet doesn't respond and says there is a problem with Laptop internet turns off when lid closed the DNS server when there isn't any problem at all because all of the other devices on the network are working completely fine Also the internet people ran a diagnostic and it's perfectly fine at almost megs down I figured there was a problem with it when I close the lid the internet stops responding as for when the lid is opened the internet is fine I went into the device manager and went to the properties of my wireless networking card and in there to power management and unchecked allow computer to turn off to save power or something like that Anyways I'm at a lost I'm not sure what else to do It seems the computer is still connected to the network just not the internet I would like to be able to close the lid and internet browse on my tv if possible Thank you

A:Laptop internet turns off when lid closed

Try using High Performance profile in Power Management.

How long does the lid have to be closed for this to happen?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/325321-laptop-internet-turns-off-when-lid-closed.html
Relevancy 49.02%

So every time I close my laptop to put it in sleep mode, it crashes and another problem that may be related is that, when I put my laptop in hibernate it starts back up and then I have to put it in hibernate again; this problem has been going on for a while but the sleep mode/BSOD problem recently started.

System Specs:
Lenovo N 500
Windows Vista Home Basic 32 bit (full retail)
Genuine Intel(R) CPU 575 @ 2.00GHz
3.00 GB RAM

A:BSOD Problem when laptop lid is closed

Welcome
It looks like the cause of your problem is your bison cam software.
Either uninstall completely or
update all drivers
Your specific problem
Bisonc07.sys file descriptionProductname: BisonCam64 UVC, USB 2.0 Camera 08 Description: Universal Serial Bus Camera Driver Company: Bison Electronics. Inc.

Biscon07.sys is the specfic driver causing the problem if you want to try and update.

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/294977-bsod-problem-when-laptop-lid-closed.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello, often when i close the lid on my laptop it opens up programs and files that are visible on the screen when i close it. I have set my laptop to "do nothing" when i close the lid because i dont want it to go into sleep or anything. I dont know if this is a virus or not. i have used Avast antivirus to scan my computer several times and came up empty. I dont expect you to know exactly what is causing this but maybe someone here have had the same experience and might be able to point me in the right direction. Thank you

A:My laptop opens up things when the lid is closed

This could be caused by the closing of the top putting pressure on the keyboard. Set the laptop to shutdown when the top is closed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-opens-up-things-when-the-lid-is-closed.174403/
Relevancy 49.02%

So every time I close my laptop to put it in sleep mode, it crashes and another problem that may be related is that, when I put my laptop in hibernate it starts back up and then I have to put it in hibernate again; this problem has been going on for a while but the sleep mode/BSOD problem recently started.

System Specs:
Lenovo N 500
Windows Vista Home Basic 32 bit (full retail)
Genuine Intel(R) CPU 575 @ 2.00GHz
3.00 GB RAM

A:BSOD Problem when laptop lid is closed

Please follow the http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...tructions.html to provide us with the crash report so we can provide more informed troubleshooting steps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/213366-bsod-problem-when-laptop-lid-closed.html
Relevancy 49.02%

please help how do I get rid of virus that plays sounds like advertisements and other sounds it happens about an hour after im on or after my comp just sits untouched.can I get into my regedit and delete it somehow?what is it a virus? rootkit? please helpive ran all kinds of malware anti spyware etc and it says all is fine but its not

A:sounds on my laptop even when all windows are closed

This may help: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum...

http://www.computing.net/answers/security/sounds-on-my-laptop-even-when-all-windows-are-closed/39661.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Can the download be restarted and picked up from the same point? Or do I have to start alll over again?

I was using the save (not run) in the download. And there is an exe file on my desktop. (incomplete, I assume)

any way to do this?

(I was dowloading the Battle for Middle Earth Demo, in case you were wondering)

thanks

A:Help! I was downloading a BIG exe file and my wife closed my laptop!

If you were using Internet Explorer, then you might be able to resume, but I doubt it. If you were using Opera there is the option to resume transfer. I'd look into something like that.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-i-was-downloading-a-big-exe-file-and-my-wife-closed-my-laptop.43867/
Relevancy 48.16%

Printer is HP Inkjet
Laptop is VIAO
OS is Vista
The printer works fine after booting, however the printer does not print though the job show printing and the job cannot be deleted in these conditions:
1- the laptop has gone to sleep and is "revived" and then we try to print something local or from gmail or other online doc
2- the laptop is closed but not turned off and when it is reopened and "revived" - same problem

The only way then to make it print is to reboot the laptop - then and only then the print jobs start.

Any idea?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/printer-does-not-print-after-laptop-goes-to-sleep-or-was-closed.861035/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi all I was just wondering if you can advise on something My new laptop keeps waking itself from sleep in my bag As far as I can tell the screen comes on and does not turn off and the laptop stays on until it runs out of battery about hours This closed for bad - Laptop when screen? from waking sleep causes the screen and laptop in general to get very hot as it is in my bag and Laptop waking from sleep when closed - bad for screen? in a laptop sleeve I wondered if it Laptop waking from sleep when closed - bad for screen? was bad for the screen to get this hot I know the components can handle it otherwise the laptop would shut down But I am worried about the screen It is the Asus UX LA-R H It has a LCD panel matte non-touch if that makes a difference Windows As for the waking up I think it might have been waking after hours to go in to hibernate so I have turned off hibernation in power settings but I am yet to try this latest change I have no tasks scheduled to wake the laptop all devices bar the keyboard aren't allowed to wake it can't be woken by internet etc What is curious is that it when this happens it does not sleep after minutes or turn off the display after minutes as per my settings Does anyone have any ideas on this Summary - Is this bad for laptop screen elsewhere on the laptop to be on in a closed environment and this hot for hours Any further ideas why it might be turning on and then not sleeping after minutes THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

A:Laptop waking from sleep when closed - bad for screen?

It's definitely not good for the battery. Getting hot in the bag isn't god either. If it was me I would do a full shut down instead of sleep mode.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/65385-laptop-waking-sleep-when-closed-bad-screen.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Originally this is posted here

Lock windows when laptop lid is closed&hellip; | AK's Blog

But i want windows update to add lock windows option to when laptop lid is closed option

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/29474-lock-windows-when-laptop-lid-closed-want-solution.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello I've looked through all the Windows options and used Google several times but I can't find a solution to this problem I bought a new is laptop disconnects internet Wireless when closed lid Sony Vaio VPCF M E all drivers are up-to-date and the options are correct I have the lid close action on quot do nothing quot and the box in the device manager - gt wireless lan driver unchecked so it's NOT allowed to turn off the device to save power Still whenever I close the lid on my laptop the wireless internet connection disconnects The actual wireless lan connections are still there when I open the lid my laptop is just not connected to the internet Also this seems to happen just whenever my laptop feels like it Sometimes the internet will be disconnected after minutes sometimes after hours I also left Wireless internet disconnects when laptop lid is closed an application running over night that constantly uses Wireless internet disconnects when laptop lid is closed the network connection to see if it disconnects while idling but when I woke up in the morning the wlan was disconnected as usual It's not my router it doesn't turn off the internet after X idle time and the network works fine when I leave my laptop open The problem I have with leaving my laptop open all the time is my cat Cat hair is a killer for poor computers I had an MSI laptop before I didn't have this problem My boyfriend also has a Medion that doesn't have this problem The th laptop in the house an Acer Aspire G has the same problem however Both laptops have Windows Professional bit installed as did the MSI laptop before where everything worked fine If you need any more information please let me know Please also note that this problem occurs on every internet connection - I have been in different networks so far always the same problem Also I had the same problem with a LAN cable so lan connection as well Thanks for your time

A:Wireless internet disconnects when laptop lid is closed

No suggestions? :/

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/113139-wireless-internet-disconnects-when-laptop-lid-closed.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I think I made a thread about this a while back to no success. My laptop goes to sleep when I close the lid even with the lid settings modified. I don't want it to sleep. Idk what exactly to do.

A:Laptop sleeps when lid closed, even with setting disabled.

What is the setting in Power Options for what happens when you close the lid?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/339762-laptop-sleeps-when-lid-closed-even-setting-disabled.html
Relevancy 48.16%

This is similar to the issue in this thread.
Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed

I have a Dell laptop that always went to sleep reliably when I closed the lid. Now it does not. I am able to get the laptop to sleep with the Start --> Sleep option but not with the lid closing and not with the power button.

On the power options interface screen, in the section that says "Power Buttons and Lid" there is no way to set a lid action - there is no choice or link available. It's like someone completely removed the computer's knowledge that it has a lid - maybe it somehow got tricked into thinking it was a desktop?

Thanks in advance for your help - I appreciate it!

Windows 7 Professional x64 running...

-Mike

A:Dell Laptop no longer sleeps when lid is closed

Now that I'm thinking about it, it may be in some "desktop" mode instead of a laptop mode. Here are other data points:
- It no longer shows the battery indicator in the lower right status bar
- The power options no longer show different options for when the system is "plugged in" vs "on battery power", it's just one setting.
- No more "lid" settings as I said above.

Hmmm - does anyone know how to check this or what a possible fix might be?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/148207-dell-laptop-no-longer-sleeps-when-lid-closed.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello all

basically I have set all options to say don't do anything when I close the laptop lid yet on my vlc player it decides to loop like 10/20 seconds of the song playing through my headphones when playing on the speakers it's fine so I believe, i have tried re installing the drivers (no luck) tried window update (that caused the problem can't roll back) and i have tried windows diagnostic service and that says there is an error, yet when i try to fix it it says that the headphones are not plugged in or nothing into that socket.

Any help would be grate,

Many thanks, David

P.s. my laptop is running windows 8 (hp pavilion DM1 amd E2)

http://www.eightforums.com/sound-audio/42927-sound-looping-being-choppy-laptop-lid-closed.html
Relevancy 48.16%

so, EVERY TIME I close(and re open) my laptop lid the touchpad stops working. seemed to happen after a win X update(not upgrade TO win x) it is so extremely frustrating. the only way i can get it to respond again is to reboot. I have tried disabling and reenabling the touchpad, updating drivers, and nothing seems to help.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/touchpad-stops-working-when-laptop-lid-gets-closed/td-p/5618964
Relevancy 48.16%

Craziest thing. I have a laptop. I close the lid on the bugger, it goes into standby (for sure... I know this much.. lol)

Just about the same time every morning, I head it turn on. The screen is still blank but stuff is running. OR I will go to work with MSN Messenger running and will get a pop up saying You are signed into two places at once, meaning it has come out of standby automatically. Any idea what could cause this?

A:Toshiba Laptop automatically comes out of Standby while the lid is closed!!!

The standby/hibernate switch is a small pin switch by the hinge
Depending on the model of the laptop, there are a few different "wake on" options in the BIOS that are normally set to disabled
A corrupt video driver can also play tricks with standby/hibernate

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/223699/toshiba-laptop-automatically-comes-out-of-standby-while-the-lid-is-closed/
Relevancy 48.16%

Beginning on March 26, 2015 almost every time I close my laptop lid, my machine doesn't enter sleep mode properly, and as a result, it shuts down with a BSOD error that I find when I start the machine again.

I have tried putting the machine into Sleep from the Start > Shutdown menu, and it still fails to enter sleep mode properly.

I downloaded and installed BlueScreenView, and I found that I am encountering the same errors pretty consistently. I have one error on 4/1/2015 that was related to the Wireless card, and some errors prior to 3/26 related to software that I have since removed. All remaining dumps since 3/26 have a bug check string of DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE caused by driver ntkrnlpa.exe

I have attached the DM Log Collector zip file from my system.

A:BSOD when laptop lid is closed, ntkrnlpa.exe error

Do two things.

First, download and install Intel? PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 7.

Second, Free up the startup. Windows does not need any other program to auto start with it, but the auto start programs often conflicts and causes various problems including BSODs.
Click on the Start button
Type ?msconfig (without quotes), click the resulting link. It will open the System Configuration window.
Select the ?Startup? tab.
Deselect all items other than the antivirus and the touchpad driver, SynTPEnh.
Apply > OK
Accept then restart.
Report us for any further BSOD.

Code:
>[ 16, 2] 0 0 86730028 00000000 00000000-00000000
Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\NETwsn01.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for NETwsn01.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for NETwsn01.sys
\Driver\NETwNs32
Args: 00014400 00000001 00000004 00000002
[ 16, 2] 0 e1 8665e828 00000000 00000000-00000000 pending
\Driver\vwifibus
Args: 00014400 00000001 00000004 00000002

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/366927-bsod-when-laptop-lid-closed-ntkrnlpa-exe-error.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi I am using a laptop with a monitor via vga cable, laptop is set not to sleep when lid is closed. So i close the lid and use it fine with external monitor but the internet becomes slow....dont rly know what to do. works fine when lid is open.
possibly a driver automatically becoming sluggish upon closing lid? please help thx
google chrome
win 7 64bit
lenovo v570 laptop

A:Internet becomes slow on external monitor when laptop's lid is closed?

bump

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/347209-internet-becomes-slow-external-monitor-when-laptops-lid-closed.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I have a new window switch laptop single is if display to closed? laptop and a large flat screen monitor and I ve been trying to decide how I want them configured Obviously I'm using the switch to single window display if laptop is closed? flat screen as the main monitor but sometimes I want to use the laptop's display as a second monitor and sometimes I want to use one monitor and have the laptop closed and out of the way I would prefer not to change my system settings every time I decide to switch between using and monitors I tried changing the configuration settings to using a dual display with the flat screen as my main monitor and changing the power settings so the laptop doesn t switch to sleep mode when I close the lid This seemed to work fine at first until I tried switch to single window display if laptop is closed? opening a folder and nothing seemed to come up Even though my laptop is closed and shoved out of the way Windows still treats the laptop monitor as being active thus causing some applications to open on laptops monitor rather than on the main screen There also the lesser problem that I my mouse will 'disappear' if I move it too far to the left and it switches to the other screen What I would prefer is to have some way that Windows will recognize when the laptop screen is shut and automatically switch from dual to single screen mode and switch back to dual screen when I re-open the laptop Can anyone suggest how this can be done Actually there is one other thing I would like to do with my spiffy new monitor but I'm not sure it is possible I would prefer for clicks on one screen to not force applications on the other screen to minimize I've been trying to stream video on one screen while working on the other atm Hulu is the only TV I've got but it keeps switching the video out of full screen mode every time it registers a click on the second screen The same issue happens with playing games or running any other program that monopolizes a screen I won't rest until I have managed to play WoW while watching streaming video of Babylon all from the same computer It s a right of geekhood

A:switch to single window display if laptop is closed?

Been researching and asking questions along those lines myself. As far as I can tell all of that is beyond the capabilities of the current technology.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/54039-switch-single-window-display-if-laptop-closed.html
Relevancy 47.73%

First off, lemme say it has been humorous for me to get all my greetings as idiot. I don't know where the first place to look for would be to find out how to download with the top down of my laptop using xp. I have turned power management to no avail. I have a compaq presario r3000 pentium with yer basic mobo ethernet (i'm not a complete idiot). Ok, so what I want to do is begin downloading a file, close the laptop screen, and have it continue on. Is there a software setting that allows or disallows such a feature? I figured it was power save and as it wasn't am looking for possible alternatives to getting files downloaded with the top down. I dunno, is this an impossible feat?

the idiot

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/laptop-internet-connection-lost-when-flip-top-is-closed-31500.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hello a little while ago I had some nasty viruses malware on my computer and the nice folks over Clears is all when Laptop Firefox Cookies Cache and Closed in that forum helped me clean it all up Well since I have gotten all cleaned up every time I go to close my laptop it Firefox Clears all Cookies and Cache when Laptop is Closed clears the Firefox cookies and cache Firefox Clears all Cookies and Cache when Laptop is Closed I do not use IE so I am not sure if it is happening in that browser This problem only started occuring after my viruses malware was cleaned off I asked the nice guy that was Firefox Clears all Cookies and Cache when Laptop is Closed helping me if anything he had me do would be causing this and he said quot No quot and I should ask for help over here I can still use the internet but it is very difficult to have to choose things every time I go to every website The Firefox is remembering my passwords and user names but it is not keeping me logged in at the places I used to be logged in forever at one forum now I have to do it each time It does not happen when I just close Firefox and then reopen it only when I close the laptop and the computer goes to sleep it does not hibernate when closed just sleeps I am using Windows XP with Service Pack Firefox on a Dell Inspiron Any help to stop it from clearing my cache cookies is much appreciated

A:Firefox Clears all Cookies and Cache when Laptop is Closed

Go to Tools... Options... and then the Privacy tab. Is "Always clear my private data when I close Firefox" checked?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/230122/firefox-clears-all-cookies-and-cache-when-laptop-is-closed/
Relevancy 47.73%

Hello, is there somehow a way to do something special, when I close my laptop other than shutdown or standby? For example set the energy saving profile from balanced to energy saving, and back when opening the lid again. Actually I want the laptop to behave the following:

When I close my laptop lid, it still should run, but the processor speed should be limited to it's lowest possible state, and might not be allowed to run higher.

I want this because I had problems before, where Windows does "something stupid", when the lid is closed, for example run some indexing stuff or other scans, which causes the laptop to overheat when the cpu is running 100% and it's lid is closed.

Is there a certain party program which can do this?

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/36157-laptop-lid-closed-options-change-energy-profile.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi i have an otherwise working laptop that seems to shutdown completely (closes browser, shuts off programs) when the lid merely closes. I updated everything I could fine on Dell's website but to no relief. What can I do to fix this issue? 

A:Dell XPS 13 9350: Shutting down completely when laptop lid is closed.

Hi dsafwe,
Shutdown/ Sleep/ Hibernate is completely based on the video card drivers installed correctly and the Operating system on the system.
I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the video card driver from Dell website as these drivers are tested on the Dell system. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card.

Open the search box, Start typing devmgmt.msc and then press enter.
Select the Display adapters listed and right click on it.
Now select properties.
In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.
Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”
You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Then reinstall the Intel video card driver first and then NVidia/AMD card driver (If system is configured with discrete video card) on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the video card drivers from Video section onto the system and install it.
http://dell.to/18r60nI
Please let me know if this helps.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19993064
Relevancy 47.3%

I have windows vista installed on my laptop.
all my drivers are updated yet i have the problem of whenever i
close my laptop screen and open it later on it will not return from a black screen

i've tried the workarounds microsoft gave and none of them work

Mainboard : HP 30AE
Chipset : ATI Radeon RS480M
Processor : AMD Turion 64 ML-34 @ 1800 MHz
Physical Memory : 1024 MB (2 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )
Video Card : ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon XPRESS 200
Hard Disk : ST98823A (80 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : PHILIPS DVDRAM SDVD8821H ATA Device
DVD-Rom Drive : BB0420H ZHO561L SCSI CdRom Device
Monitor Type : 20 inches
Network Card : Broadcom Corp BCM4309 802.11a/b/g
Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RT8139 (A/B/C/810x/813x/C+) Fast Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium Home Edition 6.00.6000
DirectX : Version 10.00
and those are my system specs.. everything there cept vista came preinstalled on my laptop
any help would be appreciated

A:vista laptop screen going black when lid closed and wont appear when opened.. help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-laptop-screen-going-black-when-lid-closed-and-wont-appear-when-opened-help.572195/
Relevancy 47.3%

So I recently noticed that when I close the lid completely, the monitor doesn't turn off, I can still see light coming from the gap. I've done a fresh install of windows xp recently, but I didn't notice whether it was from the start, or did I do something to fault it.

I have a Dell inspiron 1520. Well worth noting here that when I choose standy when lid is closed it works, so that means the lever mechanism works. That's why I put this in the software section.

Don't know what else to add. Help would be appreciated. Thanks

Relevancy 47.3%

Hello everyone I have my xps for a few months now but still I haven t found any solutions for my problems st Problem Whenever I boot windows or sometimes after energy-saving mode the keyboard just doesn t work at all I already tried waiting for a few minutes and smashing every button on it nothing made the keyboard working again To solve this I have to restart the (keyboard closed Problems and XPS15 laptop) Dell 9550 computer after that it works nd Problem Whenever I close it while running it just won t quot wake up quot again The power-button-light lights after opening the laptop but the screen stays black rd Dell XPS15 9550 Problems (keyboard and closed laptop) Problem Sometimes when I want to boot windows it just won t I see the quot DELL quot -logo then the few blinks at the top-left corner of the screen A white blinks times and after that nothing happens So these are my problems I hope somebody can help Dell XPS15 9550 Problems (keyboard and closed laptop) me with these because it s very anoying if I have to start the computer twice so that it works like it should If you have any more detailed questions please ask them sincerely SgtDomo P S I have most of the quot recommended quot drivers installed but if you think I am missing one please also tell me nbsp nbsp

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19993649
Relevancy 46.87%

Basically every time i search something on google and click a result, i get redirected to a page full of ads
My laptop also shuts off when i close the screen even though i have it set not to

Operating system: windows 7
Have not gotten any error messeges other than when my computer boots it says "Windows shut done unexpectedly" "find solution" "close"

A:Google results re-direct to spam pages, and my laptop keeps shutting down when lid is closed

Download Security Check from HERE, and save it to your Desktop. * Double-click SecurityCheck.exe * Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box. * A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.=============================================================================Please download MiniToolBox and run it.Checkmark following boxes:Report IE Proxy SettingsReport FF Proxy SettingsList content of HostsList IP configurationList Winsock EntriesList last 10 Event Viewer logList Installed ProgramsList Users, Partitions and Memory sizeClick Go and post the result.=============================================================================Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free to your desktop. * Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program. * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish. * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. * Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan. * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results. * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. * When completed, a log will open in Notepad. * Post the log back here.Be sure to restart the computer.The log can also be found here:C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txtOr at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt=============================================================================Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main Mirror
This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped Mirror
This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.
GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.IMPORTANT! If for some reason GMER refuses to run, try again.If it still fails, try to UN-check "Devices" in right pane.If still no joy, try to run it from Safe Mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/431797/google-results-re-direct-to-spam-pages-and-my-laptop-keeps-shutting-down-when-lid-is-closed/
Relevancy 45.58%

I get this problem or error "Desktop Window Manager stopped working and was closed" every time I stay logged on but "switch users". When I come back to my user account, there are two messages on my taskbar that both say "Desktop Window Manager stopped working and was closed". I have uninstalled and reinstalled my Nvidia driver and updated to the latest driver version. I have even went to "task manager" and located the dwm.exe and made a dump file.

Any suggesstions to what or how I fix this.. Thank you.

A:"Desktop Window Manager stopped working and was closed"

try doing a system repair. to relaunch the windows manager use run command explorer.exe

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/57452-desktop-window-manager-stopped-working-closed.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Hi I m running Windows Vista Home Premium with SP and just recently my computer started telling me quot Desktop window manage stopped working and was closed quot as soon as I log into my account For whatever reason ever since this started happening the program quot Steam quot will instantly crash as soon as it loads quot HJT log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows system WerFault exe C Windows RtHDVCpl exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe C Program Files TortoiseSVN bin TSVNCache exe C Program Files McAfee com Agent mcagent exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Zune ZuneLauncher exe C Users Nick AppData Local Google Update GoogleUpdate exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnscfg exe C Program Files Logitech SetPoint SetPoint exe C Program Files Common Files Logishrd KHAL appears - window startup working stopped "desktop and closed" on was Vista manage KHALMNPR EXE C Windows System mobsync exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe C Windows system SearchFilterHost exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - "desktop window manage stopped working and was closed" appears on startup - Vista HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook Winamp Search Class - BCA FA- DBB- a -B - C F B - C Program Files Winamp Toolbar winamptb dll O - Hosts localhost O - BHO SnagIt Toolbar Loader - C D-C - C - -FCE AD C - C Program Files TechSmith SnagIt SnagItBHO dll O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO Skype add-on mastermind - BF B-C D - d - A -A F BA C - C Program Files Skype Toolbars Internet Explorer SkypeIEPlugin dll O - BHO Winamp Toolbar Loader - CEE EC- - bc- B - DDC AB C - C Program Files Winamp Toolbar winamptb dll O - BHO SearchPerks Perk Counter - EA E- D - af- AD-B C AB - C Program Files SearchPerks Perk Counter Bmbho dll O - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveShellExtensions dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO scriptproxy - DB D A - - E -B D- F C - C Program Files McAfee VirusScan scriptsn dll O - BHO Encarta Web Companion Helper Object - BE B -BC - CAF- E- E D B - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Encarta Web Companion ENCWCBAR DLL O - BHO Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - AF DE - D - -B FA-CE B AD D - C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier swg dll O - BHO McAfee SiteAdvisor BHO - B E -A B - A -B - CD E A FF - c PROGRA mcafee SITEAD mcieplg dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - Toolbar Winamp Toolbar - EBF BA - - c a- B-BB F D DE - C Program Files Winamp Toolbar winamptb dll O - Toolbar Encarta Web Companion - D - - - B - F B C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Encarta Web Co... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-window-manage-stopped-working-and-was-closed-appears-on-startup-vista.773602/
Relevancy 43%

This has happened at lease twice before. My Dell XPS was unplugged from the charger, and I locked it and closed it and at least 15 min later there was an unexpected shutdown. I know this because when I re-open the laptop, the computer is off and Windows tell me there was unexpected shutdown.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

A:Closed laptop (unplugged from charger), a while later "Unexpected Shutdown"

Maybe your laptop has its power settings set to - Shut Down when Lid is Closed (when on battery power).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/closed-laptop-unplugged-from-charger-a-while-later-unexpected-shutdown-585394.html
Relevancy 43%

Windows8 Pro laptop wont start and just cycles on and off every few seconds.  Removed battery and AC and held power button for 30 seconds, replace AC and battery with same results.  Never boots long enough to get any screen info. Ideas? 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Laptop-wont-start-trys-to-start-with-cover-closed-and-keeps/td-p/5611650
Relevancy 41.28%

Hello,
I have a custom built desktop at an office, it was running Windows Xp pro with the license glued on the side. At a later time a full license was purchased for windows 7 pro oem, and glued on the side of the computer. The system was wiped and Windows 7 pro freshly installed (not upgraded).
Now a new system with Windows 10 pro was bought to take it's place.
My question is there, the office has a Windows XP Pro laptop, that must be upgraded to Windows 7 pro. Am I able to use that license from that old desktop for Windows 7 Pro on this winxp laptop to install Windows 7 pro? If so, how would I go about doing it? Just an upgrade and use that product key?

A:Transfering license from desktop to laptop, and throwing desktop away

The laptop license will be an OEM copy of the OS, this is managed by the OEM of the laptop and would not be transferable to the new system. the additional win7 laptop is also an OEM license but in this case the support would be the responsibility of your Company IT department.

You need to purchase a new license for the laptop, but, if you can get one an upgrade license would be OK as the XP pro to Windows 7 is a valid upgrade

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/379895-transfering-license-desktop-laptop-throwing-desktop-away.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Is it possible to transfer data from my desktop pc to my laptop pc without turning on my desktop pc? My desktop pc does not work and needs a new motherboard. I know I can take my PCs in to Best Buy and have them transfer the data for about $100. I'm hoping to do it myself and cheaper. Is there any specific equipment I can rent or buy to do this myself? The data I need transferred is from my old desktop is from a Dell Dimension XPS T500 to my new Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop. Any ideas?
Thank you.

A:Transfering data from desktop to laptop without turning desktop pc on?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/transfering-data-from-desktop-to-laptop-without-turning-desktop-pc-on.195614/
Relevancy 41.28%

Is it possible to transfer data from my desktop pc to my laptop pc without turning on my desktop pc? My desktop pc does not work and needs a new motherboard. I know I can take my PCs in to Best Buy and have them transfer the data for about $100. I'm hoping to do it myself and cheaper. Is there any specific equipment I can rent or buy to do this myself? The data I need transferred is from my old desktop is from a Dell Dimension XPS T500 to my new Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop. Any ideas?
Thank you.

A:Transfering data from desktop to laptop without turning desktop pc on?

yes.............dont duplicate post!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/transfering-data-from-desktop-to-laptop-without-turning-desktop-pc-on.195615/
Relevancy 40.42%

Hi I'm a Desktop FROM 8 desktop to laptop Windows Remote XP Cannot Windows newbie so go easy on me I'm Cannot Remote Desktop FROM Windows 8 laptop to XP desktop trying to RDP from my new Windows laptop to an XP desktop both of which are on my home network When I try I get the below error Remote Desktop can't connect to Cannot Remote Desktop FROM Windows 8 laptop to XP desktop the remote computer for one of these reasons Remote access to the server is not enabled The remote computer is turned off The remote computer is not available on the network As best as I can tell none of the conditions above is true Here is what I have looked at so far - On the XP machine in System settings Remote quot Allow users to connect to this system quot is Checked I have successfully RDP'd to this machine in the past but this is the first time I've tried from the Windows machine - From the Windows machine I can ping the XP machine and I can access a shared drive on the XP machine In fact I've been moving files between the XP machine and the Windows machine in both directions all day - Just to eliminate another potential issue I have set the username and password on the Windows machine to match that on the XP machine Incidentally XP machine is running XP Pro SP Thanx in advance for any suggestions to diagnose and resolve this feenyman

A:Cannot Remote Desktop FROM Windows 8 laptop to XP desktop

Kari explains about the tricks and problems associated with remote desktop. > problems connecting to the Win 8 laptop from Win 7

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/40716-cannot-remote-desktop-windows-8-laptop-xp-desktop.html
Relevancy 39.56%

I just finished disassembling my first laptop ever which had a broken screen due to a drunken neighbor and am wondering if / what I can use the acquired parts for? This is the laptop that I disemboweled:

Samsung NP300E5A-A01UB Review & Rating | PCMag.com

which has a better processor than the current, newer one that I am using. I also recently purchased a desktop but I definitely need to increase the size of the hdd and am wondering if the laptop hdd can be used with the desktop? I have attached pictures of what I have pulled out of the Samsung. I look forward to your responses and really appreciate the helpful knowledge and / or advice. Thank you!

(I will attach the pictures right after this post. I took them on my phone and will upload from the win7 forums app. Am currently on laptop)

Jeremy

A:hdd, processor or RAM from laptop usable in my desktop or newer laptop

Hopefully images attached to this.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7Oe...p=docslist_api

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/340519-hdd-processor-ram-laptop-usable-my-desktop-newer-laptop.html
Relevancy 38.7%

Ok first of all thanks to anyone who reads this and I hope I am being as clear as possible My desktop computer recently just went and not for new DSL desktop laptop ;\ laptop works but the cable all blank white screen on me last night and since I have no idea what to do with it to fix it I just bought a new laptop I have a DSL modem from Verizon with only one cable so before I used to just remove it from the desktop and plug it into my other laptop to use the internet I did this last night with the new laptop as well and this morning I tried to connect to the internet on the new laptop and it said could not connect to the internet no matter what website I tried I decided to try plugging the DSL line into the OLD laptop to see if it was the internet but it works on the old laptop just fine and was working on the new laptop yesterday just fine Can someone please help me I do not understand why the old laptop works perfectly and never had a virus but every new computer I get seems to be quot crap quot pardon my language Any thoughts nbsp

A:DSL cable works for desktop and laptop but not the new laptop ;\

Connect to the old laptop and get the Internet working and connected, then I'd like to see this.
Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

After that, connect to the new laptop, reboot the laptop and then post the same thing from the new laptop.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dsl-cable-works-for-desktop-and-laptop-but-not-the-new-laptop.958408/
Relevancy 38.7%

Okay I have sort of laptop file Laptop transfer desktop another or to HD a series of related questions about this let me start by explaining the situation My laptop Laptop HD file transfer to desktop or another laptop is fried and I ve pretty much given up hope trying to fix it I know it s a hardware issue and I tried disassembling reassembling it to no avail At this Laptop HD file transfer to desktop or another laptop point I ll be happy if I can recover the files from the HD assuming it s not the HD that is faulty in the first place So here are my questions I already searched the forums here and had one of these partially answered but I need a bit more info First as I understand it it would be possible to connect the laptop s HD to my desktop but I would need an adapter to do it right If I had this adapter would it be possible to run the laptop HD like an external or would I have to boot directly into it to get the files My tech knowledge is only mediocre here and I don t know exactly how the hardware all works together Second and this would be most convenient if it works because I could skip the adapter I want to know if it would work to simply swap the laptop s HD with a different fully functioning laptop and move the files onto an external HD from there assuming both laptops use the same connector type I believe they do both use the same size SATA drives Again this is really just a question of whether or not the new laptop s hardware would be compatible with the old drive and that there wouldn t be any time consuming formats involved or any data loss or anything So yeah sorry for the wall of text I just wanted to get across the general idea of what I m trying to accomplish here if you need more specs or anything I could provide them Thanks nbsp

A:Laptop HD file transfer to desktop or another laptop

Better and much shorter question: What is the best way to move files from the hard disk of a failed laptop to another computer?

Remove the hard disk from the failed laptop. If it is SATA, as you state, take it to any desktop computer with SATA connectors. Connect it there as a secondary drive and burn your files to a DVD.

Or, you could get an external drive enclosure (laptop size), place the drive inside that and connect it to any USB port.

If the old drive is bad/unreadable, none of your or my solutions will help. In that case, you'll have to send it and a lot of your money to a specialist.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-hd-file-transfer-to-desktop-or-another-laptop.980451/
Relevancy 38.7%

I've got two computers living in the same workgroup that I am trying to connect and share files across.

1) Desktop - Vista Home Premium.
2) Laptop - XP Pro.

Computer #2 can see #1 and it's shared folders. However, #1 cannot see #2's shared folders nor see that computer in its workgroup or network.

I believe the problem resides on computer #2, as prior to computer #1 I had a different desktop config that had the same problem.

I am able to ping #2 by name and IP address.
I have disabled the firewalls on both computers.
File sharing is enabled for both computers.

Appreciate any help on the matter!

Relevancy 38.27%

Both machines are W7 64 bit. I have set all network settings exactly the same. I have turned off Zone Alarm on the laptop. I have set set sharing on drives and folders to Everyone. While the desktop can see the laptop over the home network, when I try to access files, I get the "enter username password" dialog box, which seems to have no function (at least to me). Not sure where the culprit lies.

A:W7 desktop can't read W7 laptop. Laptop can read desktop. Same settgs

When you enter the username and password for the desktop what error message do you receive?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/275339-w7-desktop-cant-read-w7-laptop-laptop-can-read-desktop-same-settgs.html
Relevancy 36.98%

I am using a Toshiba laptop A105-S4104 and a desktop computer both using XP Professional with both on the same two computer network. I have identical programs on both. I would like to get the two screens together on the desktop in order that I might drag and drop data. I do not wish to replace the entire files on either computer but to combine the two as I like. I have seen this done by making the desktop monitor into a half screen then bringing the laptop screen to the other half of the desktop. Can you explain how this is done? Many thanks.

A:Combing Laptop and Desktop monitor screens on desktop monitor

Hey There! Welcome to the forum!

I believe you possible mean remote desktop (Microsoft Terminal Services Client) however i dont think you can drag files between windows.

The best way of doing it with both pcs on the network would be to open my documents and type in the address bar "\\OTHER-COMPUTER-NAME\C$" that will give you access to the c drive on the other pc depending on Firewall settings.

To find your PC name right click on my computer and click properties. Then click the computer name tab. Your computer name will be shown next to 'Full Computer Name:'

Josh

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/combing-laptop-and-desktop-monitor-screens-on-desktop-monitor.903229/
Relevancy 35.26%

Hi there,

I hope this is not a stupid question. LOL.

I have an Acer laptop 6930, running on Windows Vista. I also have an old Dell desktop which runs on Windows 2000. I need to burn some DVD's and Blu Ray Disc.

Question is- Can I buy a new DVD/Blu Ray internal drive, install the drive to the body of the Desktop, hook up my laptop and desktop together, and use the laptop as the primary operating system to operate the burner??? There is a blu ray/DVD burner available at Best Buy but is only internal, not external.

Will this work?

I have a standard DVD burner on the laptop but it is soooo slow and will not burn Blu Ray either.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

A:Can I use my old desktop and laptop together??

You can't do ot that way, but you could network them and share files between them . .

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/can-i-use-my-old-desktop-and-laptop-together-407916.html
Relevancy 35.26%

is it possible to use laptops hdd for desktops use

if yes what items do i need and procedures

A:laptop's hdd can be used for desktop

Hello again nfs yes mate sizes are all standard.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/311130-laptops-hdd-can-used-desktop.html
Relevancy 35.26%

Good Day

Is there a way i can use a laptop harddisk on a desktop? If so, how can i do it? what do i need?

Thanks

A:can laptop HD be used on a desktop?

Yep you need a 2.5 to 3.5 Adapter and put it on as Slave

Have a look there everywhere. http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=811539/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-laptop-hd-be-used-on-a-desktop.516780/
Relevancy 35.26%

Hey guys,

I'm trying to connect my old Dell Optiplex [Windows 2000 Professional] to my Acer Aspire laptop [Windows 7]. I have what I need to do so... An Ethernet crossover cable.

I have connected the desktop to a different laptop months ago, but it was a random occurrence. No idea how it happened.

I can only get the laptop to appear on the desktop's network thing and can see/ use shared files. I can't do the same on the laptop's side.

Please, somebody, give me a step-by-step process. I can do an intricate one. What I need these machines to do is: appear on each other's network, share files, and share internet [laptop gets wireless - would give destop it through LAN].

Thanks!

Relevancy 35.26%

Toshiba laptop won't go to Windows 8 desktop it sits at toshiba logo and nothing more
It starts by saying automatic repair then goes to diagnosing laptop then system restore in blue screen that failed lastly it has in blue screen automatic repair couldn't repair your PC
press advanced options to try other options to repair
Below that it has shut down to turn off PC log file c:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt

A:Laptop won't go to desktop

Tried safe mode nothing don't want to hit advanced options until had some direction thanks

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/laptop-wont-go-desktop-4601132/
Relevancy 35.26%

Is this AIO considered laptop or desktop?  There are Airplane mode and Laptop settings in Windows 10 on this PC.  Airplane and Laptop settings do not appear in my other HP  PC which is a tower/monitor.  Also, Thunderbird sets up the email settings for Charter automatically with "mobile" settings on this PC (which worked) but I manually changed the Charter inbound and outbound settings to their desktop settings (which also worked).  Why does Win 10 and Thunderbird seeing this AIO as a mobile device? 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Laptop-or-Desktop/td-p/5848084
Relevancy 35.26%

Is this AIO considered laptop or desktop?  There are Airplane mode and Laptop settings in Windows 10 on this PC.  Airplane and Laptop settings do not appear in my other HP  PC which is a tower/monitor.  Also, Thunderbird sets up the email settings for Charter automatically with "mobile" settings on this PC (which worked) but I manually changed the Charter inbound and outbound settings to their desktop settings (which also worked).  Why does Win 10 and Thunderbird seeing this AIO as a mobile device? 

A:AIO - LAPTOP OR DESKTOP?

Hi: The AIO pc is considered a desktop PC but it is mainly constructed of laptop parts such as the memory and hard drive. The only reason it is classified as a desktop PC is that it is not a mobile device in the sense that it does not have a battery like a notebook PC has, so it can be disconnected from an electrical outlet and used anywhere.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/AIO-LAPTOP-OR-DESKTOP/td-p/5848091
Relevancy 35.26%

I don't see any to discuss on Desktop vs Laptop.

Which are you personally to use by Desktop or laptop? Why or why not?

A:Desktop vs Laptop

I use both but prefer the desktop with the 22" screen. I only use the laptop outside the house or when I need a lot of processing power (e.g. for video editing). With the i7 and a 1GB graphics it is my most powerful system.

What I hate on the laptop is the trackpad - never use it. I use a mouse with a trackball which is a lot more convenient. On the desktop I do not use a mouse. I use a keyboard with trackball.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/147976-desktop-vs-laptop.html
Relevancy 35.26%

Ok I have a friends laptop...i am pretty sure its not any good.. I want to take his HDD out and slave it into my desktop to get his pcis and whatnot off of it. However, Its quite possible it might have viruses/malware on it as my friend used to use it for watching "movies", if you know what I mean Now is there a way I can retrieve this info w/o placing my system in danger?? Like could I maybe just boot right from it W/O having my desktop driver too and use something like PMagic or something??

Relevancy 35.26%

I bought a laptop I thought I could fix off Cl a long time ago, and found out the board was toast. Anyway, it has a 320Gb sata HDD in it. I pulled it and attached it to my desktop via the 2 cables (power/data) to see if it was any good and it wont even read it. not even in BIOS. Is this normal cause its a laptop drive, or is it toast too?? thanks for any insight

Relevancy 35.26%

Okay I have a Compaq Laptop Vista Basic. I also have a Windows 7 Hp desktop.
Now the thing is my Laptop is connected to my wireless router and I am trying to connect both via Ethernet. The thing is that they wont connect. I have already uninstalled the NIC local connection drivers on both and nothing. On the Windows 7 it will work for a little bit and say that the cable is unplugged which it aint. I've tried everything can someone please help me. My Xbox 360 works fine and I have already tried 3 new Ethernet cable and nothing. Basically I am trying to connect my desktop to my laptop via the Ethernet cable but, nothing seems to work I would appreciate any help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/desktop-to-laptop.183236/
Relevancy 35.26%

Ok i know that a laptop would not be good for gaming but what do you guys think.

A:Desktop vs Laptop

Some of the newer laptops are actually pretty decent for gaming. I have an HP dv9000 with a Nvida 7600GO gpu and it plays games pretty well. Wasn't terribly expensive either ($1300).

Desktops do have a big advantage in the ease of upgrade area and are in general cheaper to buy. You can also pretty easily build your own desktop. Building a laptop can be much more expensive and a lot more difficult than just buying one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/desktop-vs-laptop.70692/
Relevancy 35.26%

Hey I was wondering, if my desktop is on Win 7 64bit, the laptop is on xp pro 32bit, can I have them networked to access the files on each computer from the other?

A:Desktop, Laptop, different OS

win7 comes in 32 and 64bit

yes,

Sharing Files and Printers on a Home Network for Windows 7 , Vista , XP and Mac
=====================================================

Complete Guide to Networking Windows 7 with XP and Vista
Since there are three versions of Windows out in the field these days, chances are you need to share data between them. This link will show you how to get each version to share files and printers with one another.
Complete Guide to Networking Windows 7 with XP and Vista - How-To Geek
Share files between Windows 7 and XP
If you have a home network and are running Windows 7 and have XP on other PC(s) you might want to share files between them. This link will look at the steps to share files and hardware devices like a printer.
Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP - How-To Geek

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-laptop-different-os.997254/
Relevancy 35.26%

I have a Windows XP Laptop that is almost a year old, I've been using it alot recently and it's been working great! But For the past three days I've tried to start it up and the moment it gets to the welcome screen it stays there and doesn't take me to my desktop. I'm not sure if the screen is frozen because I can still move the mouse around or if it's moving very slowy. I shut it off twice manually ( You know not shutting down) could that be whats wrong with it, or is it a more serious issue?

A:My Laptop won't take me to my desktop!

First, there's one thing you should know: Anyone who tells you that holding down the power button hurts the computer is a MAC FANBOY who believes those little Mac error messages that pop up when you remove a flash drive without ejecting first. Neither of those two things hurts any computer, Mac, Windows, or otherwise.

Anyway, I don't know what's wrong there, but it's most likely some kind of corrupt Windows file. Something that should fix that kind of thing no matter what every single time is this:

1. Pray to whatever you believe in that you still have your Windows install disk.
2. If you do, insert the disk in your disk drive, start up the computer, and it will spend a few seconds asking you to press any key if you want to boot from the disk. Press any key, and your computer will spend awhile loading the DOS-like version of the Windows XP installation.
3. Press R to go to the recovery console.
4. When it prompts you for which boot-system-drive-thing to start from, choose whatever number it lists as Windows. That number will probably be 1. Type the number in and press enter.
5. Next it will ask for the Administrator password. This is the password that you have given to the account that came with Windows that was called "Administrator." If you never gave that hidden account a password, leave this entry blank and press enter.
6. Now you are officially in the Recovery Console. Type "chkdsk" (without quotes) and the disk will check your hard drive for any messed-up Windows files.
7. If it says that everything looked fine and to check more thoroughly use "/p", then type in "chkdsk /p" (without quotes) to check more thoroughly.
8. Once it checks the disk thoroughly, if you genuinely have a problem, then it will say it's performing additional checking or recovery and give you a percentage on its progress.
9. When it finishes the entire disk-checking, type "EXIT" (without quotes) and press Enter. Your computer will reboot on Windows XP, and if it worked, it should restart just fine and let you log in.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-laptop-wont-take-me-to-my-desktop.733898/
Relevancy 35.26%

I'm in the process to become a licensed DJ, and I just need a few opinions on this: Should I use a Desktop or a Laptop for my music etc?

For instance, a laptop is portable and have a battery to power it in case of a power surge or something, but a decent one with alot of hdd space also cost alot.

A desktop is not so portable, but it's much cheaper than a laptop with the same specs and a desktop with the right chassis will have very effective cooling. It's also cheaper to have 4tb+ hdd space on a desktop than a laptop, and I will really need alot of hdd space seeing that I will have tons of music as well as music videos.

Any input on this will be great.

Thanks!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-or-laptop-for-dj.1016095/
Relevancy 35.26%

Basically I have a desktop computer that I want to act as a VPN server, and I want the laptop to be able to have remote access to the desktop network from just an internet connection elsewhere.

I have set up a VPN using the Windows 7 built in wizard, but what IP address should I use on my laptop when trying to connect? Should it just be my router IP? I tried entering that but got an error 800...

Do I have to sign up to some kind of VPN hosting site to obtained an address to connect to?

Help is very much appreciated!

A:Trying to set up a VPN between laptop and desktop

Lanky0, I highly recommend Hamachi as a free vpn which works great and will do what you want.
The logmein people own the Hamachi vpn program.
https://secure.logmein.com/products/.../download.aspx

is one place to take a look at the free hamachi program.
I have been using it for over 10 years and it works great. They have a paid version if you want more capabilities but the free works fine.

rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/277781-trying-set-up-vpn-between-laptop-desktop.html
Relevancy 35.26%

OK...

I am selling an Intel Pentium 4 Socket 478 Northwood 3gig 533 fsb chip.... It's for a desktop computer.

This guy who wants to buy it has an HP Pavilion ZD7020US notebook.

Will the chip fit into the notebook's motherboard?? Or are notebook chips altogether different???

Relevancy 35.26%

Is there any way that a hard drive from a laptop can be hooked to a desktop pc. My sons laptop fell and the monitor was broken. He needs to get data from iit. Repairing the laptops monitor is not an option. Paying to have the data saved is also not an option without money. Or maybe there is a way to route the video from the laptop through a regular monitor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:laptop to desktop

easiet way without having open anything up on the desktop is to get a usb laptop hard drive enclosure. check what kind of drive the laptop has (IDE, SATA) and get an enclosure accordingly.

the enclosure allows you to plug in the hard drive as a USB external drive, from there you read/write just like any other hard drive/thumb drive/external drive.

they do sell adapters for 3.5 IDE to 2.5 IDE if you wanted to plug it in a desktop PC however.

Billy

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-to-desktop.620462/
Relevancy 35.26%

Hi

Just wondered if anyone out there could help me!

I have networked a laptop and desktop with the desktop being the host connected to Wanadoo Broadband via a USB modem. The two machines are linked by a cross cable and they can ping each other (IP address and name).

The desktop can access the internet with no problem, but the laptop can only access some websites!

For example, I can go to msn.co.uk/messenger but not msn.co.uk. Or I can ping quizardry.com but I cannot go to the site in the browser.

Both machines are WINXP PRO but the desktop has SP2 and the laptop has SP1.

Can anyone out there help me, I am tearing my hair out here!!

A:LAN for a laptop and desktop

Sure sounds like some kind of restrictive browser or firewall settings on the laptop. How does the laptop differ from the desktop in those two areas? What browser(s)?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lan-for-a-laptop-and-desktop.359876/