Windows Support Forum

{Advice Offered} - Renaming mac files on nt

Q: {Advice Offered} - Renaming mac files on nt

i am archiving many old mac files from an nt server. the mac files' names contain a slash that appears as a |(pipe) symbol on NT. DOS sees it as a ? and i can't rename multiple files. i cannot copy these files to a cd unless i rename by getting rid of the | symbol or i replace it with a - (hyphen). right now, i am doing this one file at a time, and we are talking thousands of files. i tried rename wiz, but that understood the symbol like dos (?), and wouldn't work either. i need to be able to rename many files at once. can any one help?
thanks - staatsk

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: {Advice Offered} - Renaming mac files on nt

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 73.96%

How do I convert .dat and .idx files that are read only to archive files in 2000?

A:{Advice Offered} - Archiving files in NT-help!

Greetings

Go to the file in Explorer.

Once you are in the directory with the files, open up your command prompt. It should open up to that directory.

At the command prompt, type in the following command:

attrib *.idx -r +a

Do the same for the .dat files.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-archiving-files-in-nt-help.29117/
Relevancy 73.1%

We have a server that is crashing and I want to anlyze the crash dump to see if I get some idea of what the problem is.

I doenload the OEM Support tools and the symbol files from Microsoft. Specifically I doenloaded the files oem3sr0.zip and oem3sr0s.zip.

I extracted both of these to a directory called e:\suptools

I am trying to run the kanalyze.exe program. It runs fine until the point where it asks for the location of the symbol files. I have tried pointing to various directories under e:\suptools but I always get the message:

"The symbol file for the NT kernal could not be loaded"

I cannot continue any further.

Can anybody help. Am I extracting the symbol files to the correct location ?. Which directory should I point to? Are there any other file that I need to download?

Regards

Craig

A:{Advice Offered} - Kanalyze and Symbol Files

Greetings

OK, I know that on MY NT cd, there is a directory called \SUPPORT\DEBUG\I386\SYMBOLS, which is what that program is looking for....

However, if you have added any Service Packs (and I have to assume that you have at least installed SP3, if not then THAT is the reason for the Blue Screens ), then some of these symbol files are out of date.

You may need to download the symbol files for the Service pack that you have loaded. If you installed the SP off a CD, then look on the CD, as the Symbol files should be there... they are .DBG files.
And I must just say, trying to figure out Blue Screens from the Dump file sounds like the intuitive thing to do, but in my experience that has been a waste of time. Normally, it is either a Hardware fault, or some-one installing a WIN9x only program, and messing up an NT dll...

Anyway, good luck.

Cheers
------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-kanalyze-and-symbol-files.28496/
Relevancy 73.1%

Our FoxPro application vendor suggested changing files= in config.sys to 250. If I am reading the documentation correctly, this should be changed in config.nt. When I increase it other programs start acting odd. Word will run and open files, but locks when I use the pull down menus.

What is the proper place to modify files=?
What is the optimal size?
Any other ideas would be helpful.

A:{Advice Offered} - config.nt files= in Professional

Greetings

Changing entries in Config.nt should not affect any 32-bit programs you are running. The config.nt file is only used for 16 bit programs running in the seperate memory space for 16-bit programs.

Look at the Icon for your Foxpro application. Does it have the "Run in a seperate memory space" box active? If so, then the Foxpro application is a 16-bit program and you should put a tick in that box, to make sure that it does not share the 16-bit memory space with other 16 bit programs.

Also, if you are using a 16-bit version of word (word 95 and lower, I believe), then I highly recommend updtaing. Especially if you are using Nt/2000 workstations.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-config-nt-files-in-professional.29190/
Relevancy 73.1%

We have a server that is crashing and I want to anlyze the crash dump to see if I get some idea of what the problem is.

I doenload the OEM Support tools and the symbol files from Microsoft. Specifically I doenloaded the files oem3sr0.zip and oem3sr0s.zip.

I extracted both of these to a directory called e:\suptools

I am trying to run the kanalyze.exe program. It runs fine until the point where it asks for the location of the symbol files. I have tried pointing to various directories under e:\suptools but I always get the message:

"The symbol file for the NT kernal could not be loaded"

I cannot continue any further.

Can anybody help. Am I extracting the symbol files to the correct location ?. Which directory should I point to? Are there any other file that I need to download?

Regards

Craig

A:{Advice Offered} - Kanalyze and Symbol Files

Greetings

OK, I know that on MY NT cd, there is a directory called \SUPPORT\DEBUG\I386\SYMBOLS, which is what that program is looking for....

However, if you have added any Service Packs (and I have to assume that you have at least installed SP3, if not then THAT is the reason for the Blue Screens ), then some of these symbol files are out of date.

You may need to download the symbol files for the Service pack that you have loaded. If you installed the SP off a CD, then look on the CD, as the Symbol files should be there... they are .DBG files.
And I must just say, trying to figure out Blue Screens from the Dump file sounds like the intuitive thing to do, but in my experience that has been a waste of time. Normally, it is either a Hardware fault, or some-one installing a WIN9x only program, and messing up an NT dll...

Anyway, good luck.

Cheers
------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-kanalyze-and-symbol-files.28496/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi,

I need to save a list of file names to a file. I have read that this can be done using the Windows NT Explorer but I cannot find the article. What I would like to do is go into NT Explorer and highlight the files I am interested in and then do a command that copies the file names rather than the files into a document.

Does anyone know ho to do this?

Much Thanks!!

A:{Advice Offered} - Saving files name to a file

Greetings

There are GUI programs I am sure that will do this, but I prefer to use the command prompt.

All you need to do is echo a DIR command to a text file.

This is how you do it:

1) Open up a command prompt
2) Navigate to the directory that the files are in
3) Type in the following command:

DIR *.*>List.txt

This will give you a full list of all the files in the directory, pluse their sizes and dates and times when they were created.

You can refine the list you get with the command line parameters for the DIR command (type in dir /? for a complete list.

So... if you only want to list just the names of all your MP3 files in the directory, and all the subdirectories, and have the list file placed into the root of C:, then the command would be:

DIR *.mp3 /B /S>C:\MP3_list.txt

Using the command line parameters for the DIR command, you can do a lot of other refinements, but I will leave that to the student as an excercise (as my university lecturers loved to say).

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-saving-files-name-to-a-file.28793/
Relevancy 73.1%

Lately when I start up Win.NT (Work.4.0) I get a message '"CTL3DV2.DLL file not installed properly. Status Monitor cannot register with VxD'. I have found the CTL files on the system (winnt/system32/...).
The outcome of this problem is that my EPSON stylus is on the blitz.
Is it possible that .DLL file problem has affected the LPT port?
How can I get these files recognized?

A:{Advice Offered} - problems with .DLL files on start up

Greetings

This is a standard .DLL that comes with most install files. It is the .DLL that (amongst other things) creates how a program looks. It is possible that an old version has been installed over the newer version by a rogue installation package.

Try re-installing your current Service pack to see if that helps. If not, rename the .DLL to .OLD and re-install the Epson software.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-problems-with-dll-files-on-start-up.29353/
Relevancy 71.38%

I've installed the NT schedule utility from the NT resource kit on a local database web server to automate daily file copying tasks. I can copy files from folder to folder on the local machine using "AT <time> copy d:\foldername\*.* d:\newfoldername\", but I cannot copy to the drive mapped to an Intranetware server. I've configured the Schedule service to start with a username and password that has sufficient rights on both machines, and if I manually copy files either in Explorer or from the command prompt to the Intranetware server everything works fine.

A:{Advice offered} - Copy files to Intranetware server using AT command

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-copy-files-to-intranetware-server-using-at-command.28321/
Relevancy 60.63%

I need to theoretically network 4 PC computers for a class. The computers are currently running Win95. The specs of the computers are:

486/25 MHz processor, 80 MB hard drive, 8 MB RAM

486/66 MHz processor, 120 MB hard drive, 16 MB RAM

Pentium 75 MHz Processor, 120 MB hard drive, 16 MB RAM

Pentium 133 MHz processor, 1 GB hard drive, 32 MB RAM

Security is not important. Trying to find an inexpensive solution. The users will not be technical wizards.

Questions - What type of network would you recommend and why? What role would you assign to each of the four workstations and any other equipment you recommend? What type of upgrades might the workstations require to make your solution work?

please help me, thank you

A:{Advice Offered} - need advice for network

Well, I would put in one NIC per computer, use standard Windows 95 peer to peer networking. I would try to upgrade all machines to at least 32 meg RAM, but 16 would do if I couldn't manage 32.

Hell, I guess 8 would work, but it sure would be slow.

I would go with CAT5 patch cables and a small, inexpensive hub, to physically connect the machines. You could use BNC (coax type) cable and skip the hub, but hubs are so cheap now that I don't think that is a good idea.

As for roles - put all the shared files on the P133 since it has the most space and is the fastest.

------------------
Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
LarryCore begs for money

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-need-advice-for-network.29780/
Relevancy 60.63%

hello
I hope someone can help me. I currently work as a Field Support Engineer for the Post Office, but I will soon be changing jobs and working for a local secondary school as Network Manager.
There appears to have been no documenting of the network as it has grown, as many different people have been administering at different times.
I would like your views on how to approach this situation, causing the least amount of disturbance to the network but enabling me to gather as much info as possilbe.

many thanks to you all in advance

marc

A:{Advice offered} - Advice needed

Greetings

My advice: Go in on a weekend and re-install everything

Ok, now onto more practical advice:

Firstly, get a picture of the network. This means getting a floorplan of the buildings, walking around going from room to room, and writing down the number of PCs, the software OS (and service pack level, if applicable) installed, current hardware installed and the router they connect to.

Do the same for your servers. It is vitally important to know what hardware is in each PC, and what the specs of the PC are.

Next, you need to get a Logical map of your network. This is a picture of the IP addresses of the Routers, printers and servers (and workstations, if you are not using DHCP), and where the different subnet's are situated. You need to see what services are installed on your Servers (WINS, DNS, DHCP, IIS, Proxy etc). At this time, it is also a good idea to get a list of the accounts on the Server. You need to see which accounts are being used to run certain services, and make sure that only Service accounts are running those services. Next, you need to take away any user accounts that no longer correspond to people using the system (ie. if Mr Bradshaw last worked at the school 5 years ago, it is time to delete his user account). Ditto with any user home drives assigned to defunct users.

Lastly, you need to compile a list of discepancies. Look at your list created in the forst step, and get an idea of what a standard PC is (ie: Standard PC = at least Pent 200, minimum 32 Megs RAM, 4 Gig HD, CD-ROM, 100 Meg Network Card, DHCP IP address, WINS enabled, Win98 First Edition, Office 97 SP2, IE5.0, McAfee 4 {Scan Engine 4.0.26 Definition file 4038}). Once you have decided on what is the current base, you need to see which PCs are below that spec: if all the workstations in one room have 32 Megs of RAM except for one PC which has 16 Megs, it needs to be noted. If all PCs use DHCP, except for one room, which are all on a different subnet, and have static IP addresses, it needs to be noted. Once you have a list of discrepancies, you should talk to your supervisor: First about bringing those PCs that are woefully under spec to some semblance of usability, and then see where you can upgrade slowly the software (get McAfee or Norton Antivirus up to the latest scan engine and virus definition files, Office to the latest service pack etc).

This might take a while, but use the time to try and clean out all the bumpf (old programs, data, etc - just make sure that it is junk before you get rid of it) that accumulates especially from the server.

I hope that gets you started

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-advice-needed.29141/
Relevancy 58.48%

I finally got RAS to work (see this post) but now another problem has come up. While I can access the network with Find and mapped drives, I can't browse the network in Network Neighborhood. When I try to see the contents of 'Entire Network' I get an error that the network is not accessible. Net View in DOS doesn't work either.

According to the MS KB, these types of problem are caused by the lack of a working Browse Master but I am logging into a Win2k Server which, as I understand it, should automatically be the browse master. The other computers on the network that are directly connected don't have this problem at all. Even if the server is not acting as browse master, I tried setting the client's browse master setting to both Enabled and Automatic with no better results.

What now?

Thank you.

Relevancy 58.48%

I need to set up an internet server I have IP I need to host Domains Using Windows MS DNS MS IIS DNS is up The web server is running behind the firewall with port mapping from the public to the web servers private ip address All the web sites work from clients only from the inside From the outside when I trie to access one of my Domains it dose not work I think it is the DNS When I ping one of my domain it responds back to me with my PRIVATE web server ip address im only have ONE public IP Do DNS {Advice HELP!!!! - Offered} I change things in my DNS In my IIS or Both When I {Advice Offered} - DNS HELP!!!! go http Public IP should I get a page Im not All and all {Advice Offered} - DNS HELP!!!! my FTP works fine when I put in my public IP but when I put in a domain com it dosent work Everything from the inside works fine What should I do nbsp

Relevancy 58.48%

I'm a DV editor who just started using windows 2000. I'm using programs like Adobe Premiere and After Effects. I have a P3 600b, 2HDD 20G 7200 and 8G AW.
I have 386MB of ram. My problem is that my pc performance meter is showing the memory resource metier barley moving, and my processor running in the red... So is my PC using all this ram? I know Adobe AE is a ram hog yet I feel it's not using it. How should I allocate memory uner win 2000, I have made some adjustment to the paged memory following advice from MS, but I see no change... Can you help?

A:{Advice Offered} - So is my PC using it's RAM?

It is possible for your computer to be running at a high percentage CPU rate without necessarily using all of your physical memory.

You can use task manager to determine the memory and CPU usage of the programs that you are running.

To start Task Manager press CTRL-ALT-DEL and select Task Manager. Select the Processes tab to see a list of processes.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Craig

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-so-is-my-pc-using-its-ram.29662/
Relevancy 58.48%

I just set up an NT 4.0 network on a Dell server and after six hours of moving data from the old server and setting up access, I discovered that my new server did not seem to be a PDC or even a BDC. Is there anything I can to to make the server a PDC without starting from scratch?

A:{Advice Offered} - NT 4.0 PDC

You can take a BDC and make it a PDC and vice versa but you can't take a member server and promote it to PDC. You will need to reinstall server however if you partition your hard drive before reinstalling you can keep all that data on the partition and not have to move it again.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-nt-4-0-pdc.28946/
Relevancy 58.48%

I have a small network running NT 4.0 server. I am using an ISDN line with WinProxy to access the internet and for my mail service using Mdamion. I want to set up a RAS server so the users can RAS in to read mail. Any help on what is the best way to set this up and keep security?

A:{Advice Offered} - RAS

Greetings

1) Setup RAS service, and make sure that your modem is setup to send AND recieve calls.

2) Use Microsoft Challenge/Response Authentication if you know that all your users will be using some Microsoft OS to call in. (ie. They must use their domain usernames and passwords to log on to the RAS server)

3) Do not click on the option to allow them to access the rest of the network. Only do this if:
The RAS server is a Domain Controller, and it is the Mail server.

Hope this helps

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-ras.29032/
Relevancy 58.48%

I am trying to take NT off a pesonal computer and install windows 98. NT will not let me boot to the comand line with the f8 key in start up or, even get into setup to chang the boot to a drive to A:\ drive. I have administrative Privileges when nt is up runing but I cant install 98 as long as NT is running. I would appreciate any sugestions.

Relevancy 58.48%

After install dos and making the following mods to the Boot.ini file i get an error
when attempting to boot to dos.
During the osloader portion of the boot an error appears about osloader file missing or corrupt <winroot\system32>\ntoskrnl.exe
What have I done wrong to get dos to boot so that I can install win98?

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00 [VGA mode]" /basevideo /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\DOS="MS-DOS"

A:{Advice Offered} - NT & Dos

Did you install DOS or just copy the DOS files to the DOS directory.

If you installed DOS after NT was installed then the installation of DOS has probably overwritten important boot information needed for NT to install.

This could probably be fixed by starting the NT installation procedure and choose the repair option. Get the setup procedure to repait the boot information.

Craig

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-nt-dos.28995/
Relevancy 58.48%

Is there any way of getting a pop box up to appear with a message when a user logs on in Windows NT workstaton ver 4 with Service pack 6a. The workstations are all connected to an NT 4 server. The user then has to click ok before the box disappears.

A:{Advice Offered} - NT 4 Pop up Box on Log on

Greetings

Absolutely. This has been available since WinNT 3.5.

You need to add the following keys in each person's registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

"LegalNoticeCaption"="Access to XXX Corp's systems is permitted for authorised users only:"
"LegalNoticeText"="Your password is strictly confidential. You are responsible for all system activity associated with your account. Violations of these provisions may be cause for disciplinary, legal action or termination of your employment or contract by XXX Corp."

The text in itallics is purely your own discretion. This is just an example from a client of mine.

Cheers

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-nt-4-pop-up-box-on-log-on.29970/
Relevancy 58.48%

I have spent the last 20 mins looking to see if I can get an Iomega ZipCD 650 USB to work under windows NT4 but all i can find is information to the affect that NT4 does not support USB. Does anybody know of a way to get a USB port working under NT4?

(Iomega says that they only support the product under windows 98.)

thanks

A:{Advice Offered} - USB + NT

Greetings

NT4.0 does not support USB. Win2K does, so you might want to upgrade.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-usb-nt.28892/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi Everyone,

I have a weird file that is taking up 130 mb so I would like to delete it. However, I don't know what it is so I want to find out what it is before I delete it. It is memory.dmp date 7/6/2000 in the C:\WINNT folder. I think it is a memory dump file of a system crash but I am not totally sure of that. Please let me know what it is and if I can safely delete it.

Thanks,

A:{Advice Offered} - memory.dmp

This file is indedd a memory dump file crteated when the system has crashed with a blue screen of death (BSOD).

It can be safely deleted.

If you want to stop the file from being created each time the system crashes then here are the steps

Start Control Panel
Open System
Select Startup/Shutown tab

At the bottom part of this screen is where you tell NT whatto do in the event of a system crash.

Cheers

Craig

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-memory-dmp.28994/
Relevancy 57.62%

I have 3 pc's. I just got done installing Win 2k on one of them and it works beautifully, whereas before I could barely get Win 98 to boot.

My question is, the next PC I am going to attempt to install it on is a Compaq 7994. It has an Athlon 900mhz, 128 meg ram, and standard Compaq drives and other crap. Do you think it will take the Win 2k intall, or like most Compaq will I get compatability errors?

A:{Advice Offered} - Wow, win 2k is nice

Greetings

Worst case scenario - You install Win2K and the PC blows up... hmm

Bad Case scenario - You install Win2K, you get loads of errors, and you need to re-FDISK and re-install Win98 (hmmm... I might prefer my PC to blow up rather then have to put Win98 on it).

Best Case Scenario - You install Win2K, and it works.

All in all, it looks like giving it a bash wont hurt... it just might mean a wasted afternoon.

Good luck, and tell us how it went..

(Normal advice applies however: Go to the Compaq site and check if you need to run a Softpaq update to the BIOS for Win2K, make sure you have all the latest Win2K drivers for your hardware etc)

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-wow-win-2k-is-nice.29355/
Relevancy 57.62%

I am building my own web site and I want to know where to get some gif I think. It those thing that you hover over top of and they react to you cursor. They can be a link to some where. I find them less boring than you plain old links.
thanx

A:{Advice Offered} - gifs I think

try http://www.animfactory.com/ I found quite a few good gifs here when I was designing a web site. Good Luck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-gifs-i-think.29807/
Relevancy 57.62%

I took out a hard drive with Windows NT Workstaion 4.0(SP6) on it and used it on another PC that I put together. I didn't run at all. Then I reinstalled NT again. Now it working fine except the NT is NOT recognizing the netcard(SMC Fast Ethernet 10/100 1211 series). I tried installing the drivers and it didn't work. I can't select it from the list of netwark adapters. I am simply stumped at this point. Please tell me what to do. The netcard works just fine on Windows 98.

The other problem I am having is when I installed NT first time, I had partitioned my hard drive in two, 4 GB each. Now I see only the 4 GB partition. I did fdisk and delpart. But I don't seem to get the 8 GB size of my hard drive. Please tell how to get back the full hard drive size.

A:{Advice Offered} - WindowsNT

As for moving the harddrive to another PC, it won't work correctly unless the PCs are almost (or exactly) identical. NT loads much hardware specific information during installation. Even at that, the NIC will have to be uninstalled (not physically) and reinstalled to enter the correct MAC address for the NIC. After re-installing NT (upgrade??) it would unfortunately keep most of the hardware settings during install. If you did a new install and the NIC doesn't work, you may need newer drivers from the SMC web site for NT. Partition Magic is what I use to fix all sorts of partition problems. You can extend the 4Gig partition to the rest of the drive or create new partitions and format them in FAT16, FAT32, NTFS or HPFS. It can also convert one format to another without data loss (backup first to be safe).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-windowsnt.29358/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi
I have NT 4.0 server (workgroup) not a domain member and i forgot the administrator password I have no other account setup on that box even guest account is disabled.How can i get into that NT box?Its server where critical software (report server) is running and i am not able to get into it.Is there any password cracker available or any other way by which i can get into that NT box?Please help.
Thanks

A:{Advice Offered} - NT password

Opps..There's no real easy quick fix but Passware Password Recovery Windows 2000 / NT is about your best bet. I have used it once and it took a long time, about 51/2 hours I think which Im told is good as it can take a hell of a lot longer. For the future I'd recommend making a copy of the Administrators password and keeping it safe off the premises, after making a working admin account ie admin_01 for everyday use

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-nt-password.29789/
Relevancy 57.62%

Please help I have a Dell Optiplex GX- that I got at a surplus sell It has a P-III mhz and appears to be about years old Here s the problem It appears that it was previouly used by a company that used them to network It appears to have WIN-NT but I can t get past the Novel LAN quot logon quot screen It says something about the Domaine is not present Anyway I tried to go into the BIOS setup and look at things thinking that I could disable the network startup somehow but the BIOS will not allow me to use left right arrows to change the settings Can anyone offer me help as to what I m up against Is there some kind of trick system Offered} on new help - {Advice need to getting the {Advice Offered} - need help on new system BIOS startup to let me make changes I intend to change from Win-NT to Win ED after I get into the windows or DOS mode but I m not there yet Any help is most appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 57.62%

I have one Win 95 machine in a suite of 29 connected to an NT4 (SP6.0a) server which will not let me log onto the network saying there is an IP conflict. How do I crack in past the logon screen with admin rights and then change the IP to let others log on.

Also how did it happen when the system has been operating fine for ages.

Thanks in advance

Tony

A:{Advice Offered} - Winipcfg

Greetings

Um... there are no admin rights on a Win95 machine. Just hit escape at the logon screen. You do not need to be a domain admin to reset a win95 machine's IP address.

However, you do need to be a LOCAL admin on an NT workstation, to reset it's IP address.

Cheers

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-winipcfg.28830/
Relevancy 57.62%

Right here is my queston I have two NT severs in the office one is used for all office clients to log onto Intenet exchange etc The other is used for all our external clients to dial into Remote Access Server SQL etc THESE NT SERVERS ARE NOT ON THE SAME NETWORK gt Now my problem is that I have a machine connected to the RAS Server which basically uses a ODBC connection to the SQL server for Reports and that type of functionality How do I connect this machine to both of the NT Servers so that I can access the net and the {Advice Offered} Server NT - mail as well {Advice Offered} - NT Server as maintain my ODBC connection to the RAS Server I also wish to keep the RAS Server totally of the internal network it must be only accessed by the single machine Bear in Mind the Machine currently logs on to the RAS Server Via its own little port HUB Any help will be greatly appreciated as I have to have this done within the next two days nbsp

A:{Advice Offered} - NT Server

Moving to the NT forum. Look for replies there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-nt-server.29276/
Relevancy 57.62%

I need to connect a laptop to my network. What do I have to configure beside the network protocols.

Thanks

A:{Advice Offered} - Network

Greetings

In the properties of Networking Client For Microsoft, you need to tick the box that says something like "Log on to a Microsoft NT domain", and type in the correct name for your domain (that is... if you have a domain).

The workgroup name under the Identification tab should be the same as your domain name (or the workgroup name, if you are running a workgroup not a domain).

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-network.28840/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello, I have 2 hard disks in my pc, one with 98se and the other with NT4. I have been trying to setup a boot manager so I can choose which os to start with, I am using system commander 2000. I cannot however get NT to boot. _ what should I do?

also, what is the best way of installing NT4 onto a seperate disk, I can't even remember how I did it. Should I create an msdos partition for the temp files to reisde on the secong disk or create one on the first disk?

any help would be well received

A:{Advice Offered} - 2nd disk for NT

Greetings

If you have NT, then you do NOT need a boot manager. NT's boot menu can easily boot between NT, Win98/5, MS-DOS and Linux, all at once.

In fact, I have set up a system that was able to multiboot NT, Win98, Dos 6.22 and Red Hat Linux all from NT's boot menu.

I have documented how I did this on my website:
www.xperts.co.za/reuel/multiboot

On the website, you will find a boot disk with all the utilities I used to create my system.

Look through it, and if you need more help, reply to this thread and tell me what you want to know.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-2nd-disk-for-nt.28847/
Relevancy 57.62%

I know I am being a bit of a vegtable here
But I have the memory of a goldfish.
Where is the NT resource kit
I do know, but I now can't even remember if it is on the CD or if I need to download it

A:{Advice Offered} - where is the NT resource kit

I think the braincell concerned has started working.
I HAVE TO BUY IT DONT I

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-where-is-the-nt-resource-kit.28850/
Relevancy 57.62%

i downloaded the service pack 6a and can't get it to load. when i try it gives me an error that i am missing cfgmgr32.dll

how do i fix this?

you help and time is greatly appreciated.

A:{Advice Offered} - missing dll?

Greetings

OK, you can download it from HERE.

Copy it to c:\winnt\system32 and open it with regsrv32.exe

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-missing-dll.29730/
Relevancy 57.62%

I was instructed to install FTP on one of our servers running Windows NT. I looked under the control panel, network, but I don't know how to get this working. I had originally thought it was just part of TCP/IP, which we are running as a protocol. Is this supposed to be ran under DOS? Please educate me!

A:{Advice Offered} - FTP on Windows NT 4.0

You can find FTP in Start>Programs>Microsoft Internet Server. From there you can install IIS and access the Internet Service Manager.
Depending on the app you are using, and the type of FTP site, I would not install this off of the NT Option pack. The Internet Service Manager on the Option pack will not let you determine the FTP Alias (as far as I can tell).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-ftp-on-windows-nt-4-0.28873/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi, I've set up a multi-homed NT Server with 2 Network cards so that it can act as a Gateway across 2 subnets (also 2 domains). I'm about to move this server off site, and need it to work across a Dial up link. Everything works fine when I have it hard-wired to the network, but when I disable the NIC and give the DUN connection that IP address it doesn't want to forward IP packets anymore. I can still ping to and from the server OK, but not through it. I've tried installing the 'Routing and RAS' Service, but it's still not working and I'm not sure I know how to configure it correctly. Has anyone else done this and know where I'm going wrong ?
Any help greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks, D.

A:{Advice Offered} - Routing across DUN

Hello, will there be a machine answering your call? Another NT box? If so you can try this in NT 4.0. Take the second nic out or disable it. For saftey sake you could copy your HW profile and make one called test. And make all the changes in the test profile. Again you'll need something to answer the call on the other side.

1) In your network setting's for the NIC leave the default gateway blank.

2) Edit your registry by going to the following Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasArp\Parameters

Create a new value entry called: (w/o the quotes)

"DisableOtherSrcPackets of type DWORD" and set the value to 0

What this does is when you forward an IP packet it won't change the from source. *while this is neccessary for creating a Internet router via dial-up it may not be neccssary in your situation. Try it w/o doing this first.

3) In your dial-up networking edit your tcp/ip settings and click the second radio box "specify an ip address" and enter your addy that was on the second NIC. If you use DNS put your DNS servers IP in the DNS fields.

4) Start up dial up networking and add the entry for dialing out to your remote side.
On the server tab under dialup server types choose ppp,windows NT. Under protocols choose TCP/IP and edit the settings as mentioned above. Uncheck the Ip header compression and use default gateway on remote system.

5) Open your control panel and under Network Protocols->TCP/IP->Routing enable IP forwarding.

6) Once you reboot open a command line and add a couple of routes:

route -p add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x metric 2

Where x.x.x.x is the ip that's in your TCP/IP settings for DUN.

7) Make all the pc's on the net point to the IP of the NIC for their gateway.

* you'll have to play around with the authentication settings between the two remote hosts.

Good luck,

Additional Resources: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/default.asp

Cheers,

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-routing-across-dun.29288/
Relevancy 57.62%

I've written a logon script which runs as I want it to, however, the message "Please wait whilst the logon script executes"
remains on the screen forcing you to hit return before being able to continue, is there a command that can be used to avoid the need to do this?

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks

A:{Advice Offered} - Scripts

Greetings

Um... I've never had that message come up. What OS is the script being run on? What networking OS are you using (NT network, novell network...)

What program are you using to code your logon scripts (normal batch programming, KIX32, Windows Scripting host...)?

You could try this in the mean while:

Edit or add value (REG_DWORD):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon
value: RunLogonScriptSync
0 = Don't wait for the logon script to complete before loading the desktop.
1 = Wait for the logon script to complete before loading the desktop.

Also add this to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-scripts.28879/
Relevancy 57.62%

This is a question for the network people out there....
Does anyone know if there is a device that will allow me to connect 2 ISDN routers to a single ISDN connection. I dont want the routers to access the line simultaneuosly, just wait for incoming calls.
The routers will be connected to one workstation through a hub.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A:{Advice Offered} - Network

I don't know all the details of your situation, but you might want to check out the following site:
http://www.freesco.org

I have built some wonderful network hardware using variations and combinations of Freesco. I could go on and on about it, but best of all, it's free.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-network.28882/
Relevancy 57.62%

at work we have windows nt 4.0 on our server and we are running windows 98se on our workstations. We share a printer that is connected to the server. we use winpopup at our workstations to send notes to each other.
we installed patch 6.a on our nt server yesterday and now today every time we print from our workstation we get a popup showing the printer spooling information. we did not have this before and don't want it now. how can we not get the printer message not sent to us.
I could not find anything in the help file except that if we want printer notification to have the winpopup open, but it did not say how to not get the notification.
thanks for your help

A:{Advice Offered} - winpopup

Found this on the MICROSOFT site of all places. You'll need to add a new REG_DWORD named NetPopup to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ Print\Providers. Give it a value of 0 to suppress the alerts, or 1 to re-enable them. After making this change, you'll need to reboot, but you'll then be free of these alerts.

Alternatively disable the Messenger service under 'Services'.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-winpopup.29768/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi There,
could anyone advice me on how do I go about to trace the machine name when a IP conflict address has occured without being physically checking each machines???

(Static IP and I have tried out tracert - which is not really very useful)

A:{Advice Offered} - Trace TCP/IP

you need to do a NBTSTAT -N

Tracert doesn't help with IP conflicts

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-trace-tcp-ip.28804/
Relevancy 57.62%

How do you test how well a hub is working?
I have a simple 2-PC Lan that is running Win98 peer-to-peer network. The PCs are connected by Cat5 cable to an 8-port hub that I got. Hub and NICs are 10Meg.
I started having trouble with file copies and prints aborting, with messages like 'invalid file handle' or 'invalid resource' .
I have checked the various network settings and it is behaving for now. One PC had to have Netbeui turned back on.
But I wanted to know how to test functioning. Only test I know is to do Ping commands.

Relevancy 57.62%

Can a person use PC133 and PC100 RAM in the same machine?

A:{Advice Offered} - Ram Question

If the motherboard will support both. Some might not. What kind of Motherboard do you have?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-ram-question.29815/
Relevancy 57.62%

Following is the problem I am having:
I have configured a TCP/IP printer port and installed a printer connected with that port. But when print to it, I get the "Error writing to the printer for Document such an such: The data area passed to a system call is too small." I think port is working because I can ping to the IP. It probably has some thing to do with registry setting. On the same note, the same port configuration works fine with WIN2K OS. Any
suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

A:{Advice Offered} - TCP/IP printers

Greetings

I am not absolutely sure, but the following are problems found in NT4: <ul>
[*]This problem can occur if the comment field for a shared printer contains more than 256 characters, including 2 characters for each new line.

Note that when you initially set up a shared printer with more than 256 characters in the comment field, one of the following messages may be generated:

- Printer settings could not be saved. The RPC server is unavailable.

- Printer settings could not be saved. The data area passed to a system call is too small.

- Printer settings could not be saved. The parameter is incorrect.

RESOLUTION
==========

To allow the system to properly share a logical printer, make sure that the printer Comment field does not have more than 256 characters total. As a test, you may want to copy the entire comment field into notepad and save the text as a file. Check the size (in bytes) of the file to determine whether you have exceeded the 256 character limit.
[*]When you check the properties of a shared printer by using the Printers folder,
you may get the following error message after you click OK, even without making
any changes:

Printer setting could not Be saved. Data area passed to a system call is too small.

122L Error_insufficiant_Buffer

You may also find that this shared printer does not appear in the shared resources list when you click Shares in the Server tool in Control Panel, or when you do a net view command.

Also, Network clients will not be able to see the printer when trying to browse and connect to it.

CAUSE
=====

This error can occur if the specific printer's share on the print server becomes
corrupted.

RESOLUTION
==========

To resolve this problem, perform the following steps:<ol>
[*] Click Start, click Settings, and then click Printers.

[*] Right-click the problem printer, and then click Sharing.

[*] Write down the share name of the printer.

[*] Stop sharing this printer by clicking the Not Shared radio button, and then close the printer folder.

[*] Open Control Panel, double-click Services, select the Spooler Service, click Stop, and then click Start.

[*] After the Spooler Service restarts, open the printer folder and re-create the printer share using the share name found in step 3. Do this by clicking Start, clicking Settings, and then clicking Printers. Right-click the problem printer, and then click Sharing. Click the Shared radio button, and then share the printer with the same name as before.
[/list=a]
MORE INFORMATION
================

The above steps are a workaround that should eliminate the error message received when viewing the printer's properties and also enable the printer to again be seen on the network.

This exact cause of the share corruption is not known at this time.
[/list]

I hope one of these help

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-tcp-ip-printers.29825/
Relevancy 57.62%

I installed Tweak UI on my Dell Optiplex running WinNT 4 SP 6. Now it is not happy constantly messing up the icons and generally not working properly. Unfortunately Tweak UI will not uninstall. It just gives an error message about not being able to uninstall.

So I have two questions:
1) How do I uninstall Tweak UI and correct the problems associated with having installed it?
2) On my Win 95 & 98 computers I use the ERU utility to back up the registry before I install a program. That way I can restore my registry if something goes wrong. How would I do this for WinNT?

Thanks for the help

A:{Advice Offered} - Tweak UI

Greetings

There are a few things you can do:

1) Delete your ShellIconCache file (it is a hidden file in the root of your Winnt directory) and then get TweakUI to rebuild the icons.

I have seen when TweakUI messes with the icons when IE4 with the desktop upgrade is installed, and you have set TweakUI to hide the shortcut arrow. Even if you set that setting back, it still messes with the icons. Deleteing that file, and getting TweakUI to recreate it (you may have to do this once or twice).

Or, you could download NT TweakUI 1.33. It seems to be working brilliantly on my Win2K machine...

As for backing up the registry... I normally use standard NT backup programs (NOT the backup program that came with NT4, but programs like Backup Exec). I do not really know of small registry saving programs...

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-tweak-ui.29184/
Relevancy 57.62%

Win 2k installed on a network of 4 computers ranging from a 333 to PII 450's. I would like to change from a workgroup to a server type situation with a domain. How can I do this.

A:{Advice Offered} - Networking

Install w2K server as a PDC on one system, creating a domain in the process. Add the other systems to the domain. If you want a public domain accessible from the internet you need to register your desired name with a domain name registrar.
http://www.networksolutions.com

for instance.

If you don't have the server edition of w2k you can't really do a "real" domain type setup, just peer to peer.

Cheers,

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-networking.29319/
Relevancy 57.62%

I have a NT4 PDC that is also a print server for 6 printers. When I go to the properties of any of these printers I get a Dr Watson error in Explorer.EXE. I have SP5 applied and nothing has been done to the server. It was working fine a week ago. I am able to print from all network printers and there is nothing showing in the Event log. I am stumped on this one. If anyone knows what this might be please let me know

Thanks

A:{Advice Offered} - NT & Printers

does the even viewer log anything? thats usually more helpfull then dr.watson's logs.

i'm guessing that the spooler service has no problems.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-nt-printers.29149/
Relevancy 57.62%

Is it possible to retrieve files removed from the recycle bin in windows NT?

A:{Advice Offered} - Recycle bin

Greetings

Yes, there is a software package called Undelete from Executive Software that can do this for you. But be warned, the more you use that PC, the more likely it is for that Data to be overwritten.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-recycle-bin.29321/
Relevancy 57.62%

I know that in order to demote a BDC
to a member server I have to re-install NT. My question is... is there a
quicker way to do this through some sort of 3rd party utility or a registry
Hack?!?

Seems to me like I saw one listed somewhere at one time. Let me know!

Thanks!

A:{Advice Offered} - Demoting a BDC.

someone gave me this link but havent had time to check it out, but should tell you everything you need to know. http://www.tsg.uk.net/kb/forum.cgi?action=000061,NT_BDC#Demote

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-demoting-a-bdc.29972/
Relevancy 57.62%

How can I get windows 2000 server to e-mail me if there is a problem when backing up files.

A:{Advice Offered} - Back-up

Greetings

Buy and install the FULL version of Veritas' BackUp Exec.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-back-up.29850/
Relevancy 57.62%

Having problems upgrading from Windows 98 to 2000 Professional. When I begin install and it begins checking compatablity of my programs, it gives a general protection fault in kernal32.

A:{Advice Offered} - Upgrade from 98

Greetings

I am guessing that that would seem that some of your programs are seriously, not compatible. Make sure that you have NOTHING running in your system tray (especially virus scanners etc).

Open up a command prompt and navigate to the i386 directory on your CD. Once there, type in this command:

winnt32 /checkupgradeonly

This will run a report checking the hardware and software on your machine, to see of it is compatible with Win2K. You can read it's report at the end of it's run.

You may need to upgrade the system BIOS first, or you may need to uninstall a program first. You may also need to install win2K on a frshly formatted drive (this is always my recomendation).

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-upgrade-from-98.29990/
Relevancy 57.62%

Am replacing the mirrored drives in a NT4.0 server with sp5 and RAID 1 (mirrored).
Can replace the secondary mirror with no problem but have been unsuccessful getting the primary mirror replaced.
Have looked through Technet and haven't found anything that is of any real help.
How do I replace the Primary Mirror?

A:{Advice Offered} - NT4.0 sp5 and RAID 1

First I suggest service pack 6a. To replace the primary, you must break the mirror set, then change the arc path in boot.ini to point to the second drive as the boot drive. Then you can replace the primary drive and then recreate the mirror set and set the arc path back to the primary drive. Hope this helps.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-nt4-0-sp5-and-raid-1.29330/
Relevancy 57.62%

Good morning peoples,
Just wondering here...My network here is NT4, with a few W2K machines scattered throughout.
I've been thinking of bringing the servers up to W2K, but I'm wondering about the fully qualified domain names W2K requires for DNS.
Say our current network name is BOB. Will I have to change the network name to BOB.com? And my computer to, say, myeyeshurt.BOB.com?
If I do, won't that cross some wires with whatever company or person out there with an internet domain like www.BOB.com?
Why can't we just stick with WINS? Arrrrr!!
Thanks, and have a pleasant end-of-the-month-ish time...

A:{Advice Offered} - FQDN's in W2k

Greetings

OK, while you still have NT4 servers and workstations on your network, you will be running in mixed mode, which means that WINS (or a reasonable facsimile of WINS) will still be running.

Also, your FQDN does not necessarily mean they have to conform to internet naming standards as set out by ICANN. So, a FQDN name that you could use is:

station4.chicago.bob.comm

If you read the following Technet article: Setting Up an Active Directory Domain you will read the following:

This means that the Active Directory domain now shares the same naming structure (or namespace), as the DNS domain. For example, in previous versions of Windows NT, a computer might be referred to as "SERVER1" under NetBIOS of the Windows network domain and "server1.microsoft.com" under the DNS domain. In Windows 2000, the computer will be referred to as "server1.microsoft.com" under both the Active Directory domain and the DNS domain.

However, it is important to recognize the differences between Active Directory and DNS. They store different data and manage different objects, even though they work very closely together.

DNS is a Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) name resolution service, which stores resource records mainly to translate domain names into their corresponding IP addresses. Although DNS can function independently without Active Directory, its data can be integrated and stored in Active Directory, in which DNS information is automatically replicated to other domain controllers, thus providing enhanced reliability and security for the DNS service.

On the other hand, Active Directory is a directory service, which stores and resolves domain object name requests into object record data (for example, replying to a request for the network configuration of a computer). To locate an Active Directory server, an Active Directory client first queries its assigned DNS server to find out the IP address of the Active Directory server. As part of the design, DNS is required for Active Directory to function. In fact, setting up an Active Directory domain controller will generally result in the setup of a DNS server during the installation process, if no DNS server can be found on the network.

This means that the FQDN name that you give your network can, in fact, be anything. For external links, you DNS server needs to know which DNS server to send your request to (there are different root servers for .COM .NET etc), but internally, your DNS *is* the server that needs to service the request.

Hope that helps

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-fqdns-in-w2k.29986/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi
I am trying to set VPN on my NT Server "WITH DHCP ip" to Dail a VPN Server with a specific ip Address . When i am trying to Dail from my Dail up networking i am getting Error 629 "the port was disconnected by remote machine. I am able to tracert the target IP address from my system. on the Dail-up network monitor box, i observed there is bytes out and frames out from my connection statistics but bytes in and frame in is always zero. Any idea.

thanks
sambit

A:{Advice Offered} - VPN problem on Win NT

Greetings

Can others dial in to the Dial-in Server without any problems?

Do you have access to the Dial-in Server?

The reason I ask, is because it sounds like the Dial-in server has had the RRAS service installed, but it have not been configured to recieve calls.

The following Technet article could be of some value:
Error 629: The Port Was Disconnected by the Remote Machine

Here is the main text of the article:

SYMPTOMS
When you dial in to a computer running both Windows NT Server and Routing and Remote Access Service, you may encounter the following error message on your Windows NT RAS client:

Disconnected.
Error 629: The port was disconnected by the remote machine.

From your Windows 95 Dial-Up Networking client, you may receive the following error:

Dial-Up Networking could not complete the connection to the server.
Check your configuration and try the connection again.
CAUSE
The Routing and Remote Access Service has not been configured to receive calls as a RAS server.

RESOLUTION
To enable your Routing and Remote Access server to receive RAS calls follow these steps: <ol>
<LI> From the Control Panel, double-click Network.

<LI> Click Services, click Routing and Remote Access, and click Properties.

<LI> Click the port or ports that you want to enable to receive calls, click Configure, and select Receive calls as a RAS server.

<LI> Click OK and restart the computer when prompted.
[/list=a]
MORE INFORMATION
The Routing and Remote Access service is capable of being set to either answer calls as a normal RAS server or answer demand-dial router calls.

NOTE: This error message can also occur if you install Windows NT 4.0 Service pack 3 or 4 and then install RAS, but do not reapply the Service Pack update.

I hope this helps

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Reuel Miller (edited 03-07-2001).]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-vpn-problem-on-win-nt.29985/
Relevancy 57.62%

Is it possible to install sixteen bit applications on windows 2000?

A:{Advice Offered} - 16-bit applications

Greetings

It totally depends on the program. Some program do not attempt to access the hardware directly, and these programs still work (though not brilliantly). Some programs (like games, system tweakers and defraggers, especially) attempt to access the hardware directly, and these programs will fail.

What program are you trying to install/use, and is there no newer 32-bit version available?
Another solution, is to run a VMware session and install Win95 or DOS 6.22 in it, and run your 16-bit program through VMware.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-16-bit-applications.29862/
Relevancy 57.62%

How can I remove the partition that NT left on my hardrive? I am using 98se but now I only have 1/3 of my hard drive. Fdisk did not help, I could not remove the extended DOS partion, It says I can not remove it because of logical dos drives.Selecting the delete option for logical dos drives on the extended DOS partition said, No Logical dos drives are defined----All logical dos drives have been deleted.
going back to the "delete extended DOS partition" says "cannot delete because logical dos drives exist". Deleting the non-DOS partition said,"Partition is not a non-DOS partition.-".And so on and so on and so on.

A:{Advice Offered} - NT to 98 can I unpartition

run fdisk again choose display partition information then choose display logical dos drive information (this will give all drive& partition information) press esc then choose delete partition or logical dos drive delete logical dos drives then the partition if you have a volume label you will have to enter it now you should be able to create a new partition hope this helps

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-nt-to-98-can-i-unpartition.29981/
Relevancy 57.62%

I am trying to setup some locked down workstations. I know that i can use the policy editor on NT4. But it doesn't seem to work. When i set up a users policy's then i save the file (i might be saving the file in the wrong place, but im not sure where to save the file) the i go to a workstation (win95/98)and log off and log back on as the user i wanted to restrict and every thing is still the same. Is there some thing i am missing? Thanks

A:{Advice Offered} - POLEDIT.EXE

See if <a href=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q168/5/79.ASP> this </a> helps any.

[This message has been edited by bhesson (edited 02-06-2001).]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-poledit-exe.29865/
Relevancy 57.62%

We {Advice Permissions - Offered} NT with Help have an NT Server domain Users log in to the domain from a variety of PCs - some W some NT some W k I m not currently concerned with the non-windows users I d like to be able to set network permissions appropriately yet still allow the users full administrative rights to their local machines Obviously this is a non-issue for the W users In {Advice Offered} - Help with NT Permissions the past I think I ve managed this for NT users by setting their local login pass to match the network login pass and then having them login to either the {Advice Offered} - Help with NT Permissions domain or the local workstation resulting {Advice Offered} - Help with NT Permissions in the authentication credentials satisfying both domains However I don t recall whether the users in that case logged in to the domain or to the local PC I haven t gotten this to work for W k pro users For the moment I have given the W k users admin rights in the domain simply to permit them permissions to their own PCs How can I configure things so that the users can have Admin rights locally and whichever rights they are supposed to have on the LAN Thanks Steve ------------------ Steve Jacobs email protected nbsp

A:{Advice Offered} - Help with NT Permissions

Greetings

Each user is, by default, a member of the Domain Users domain group. Add this group to the LOCAL admin group on each PC.

tada

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-help-with-nt-permissions.29869/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi everyone,

Hopefully, someone will be able to help me on this one....

I've got an NT Print Server (NT 4.0 SP6) running three Ricoh Aficio printers on TCP/IP. These have been set up as a test for future printers and I have enabled auditing to capture all print jobs. The thing I have noticed is that for each print request, two logs are recorded in Event Viewer:-

One log says that the downlevel document has been deleted. And then one (the only one I need to know about) says that the document has been printed.

Is there any way to prevent logs of downlevel documents being shown or is it just something I have to put up with?

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

------------------

A:{Advice Offered} - NT Printing

CLICK ON START/SETTINGS/PRINTERS

THE PRINTER WINDOW WILL OPEN

CLICK ON FILE/SERVER PROPERTIES

CLICK ON THE ADVANCED TAB

TAKE THE CHECK MARK OFF OF THE OPTIONS YOU DON'T WANT.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-nt-printing.29946/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello,
Running: Windows ME w/ DSL

I'm interested in making my system into a server. I'm not sure if this is the right terminology. But what I mean is that, I want to be able to access my computer from other computers by typing in my IP number in the address bar. I've seen people do this before (especially with people with cable).
How might I go about doing this?

Thanks For Any Help,
Sanjayan

A:{Advice Offered} - server?

Greetings

Do you then want a Webpage to appear? If so, then you need to install Peer Web Services. I do not know if WinME has that option available (it was available in Win95 and Win98). If you had Win2K, you could install IIS (Internet Information Server) 5.0, which comes with Win2K.

What you can do, is go to www.apache.org and download the Apache web server, which is one of the most well used web servers on the internet. Download the Win32 executable, as the other downloads are for Linux, BSD and other operating systems.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-server.29841/
Relevancy 57.62%

I just got a 30 gig HD and installed NT server 4.0, but NT sees the disk as 8 gig only, any ideas how to fix it?

A:{Advice Offered} - NT does not detect 30 gig HD

With Windows NT Workstation the bigest drive you can have in it is a 4GB even if the hardisk is bigger the way to get the rest of the space is to Use Disk administrator and have it as seperat partitions that is the way i got round it like i say it may be diffrent to NT Server i have not played with Windows NT Server Yet

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-nt-does-not-detect-30-gig-hd.29137/
Relevancy 57.62%

I installed IPX/SPX so I could play games across a network, but the games can't seem to communicate. I can see other computers on the network and they can see me in windows networking, but games don't play.

Relevancy 57.62%

Hey there,
I've got two domains here. One is NT, one is a new W2k domain. One of my users has a W2k laptop which was originally, and still is, connected to the NT domain. Occasionally he needs to log on to the W2k domain, which goes flawlessly, tankyouverymuch, but the thing is...he would like to carry his profile over to the other domain as well, but that just aint happenin. We've been able to transfer a couple things over manually, but stuff like NTUSER.DAT won't go.
Is there any way to get this to work? And if there is, is there a way to get this done automatically? I'll have to do this to a few more people eventually, and as it goes right now, it's a royal pain in the ol' backside.
Thank ya.

A:{Advice Offered} - Roaming w2k?

Greetings

OK, your main problem here, is that each account on the two different domains have their own SID (Security IDentifier). Now, that number is stored inside the NTUSER.DAT (the NTuser.dat file is just the HKey_Current_user tree in the registry).

I you have the same Username on both networks, then when the PC logs onto the other domain, the PC will look inside the Documents and Settings folder (or the network drive, depending on how it is setup) for a directory with the same name as the username. When it finds it, it will try load the NTuser.dat file into the registry.

However, if the SIDs do not match, then the PC will create a USERNAME.000 directory, and create a new profile in there.

What you can do, is edit the registry on both acounts and look in the :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

key, and change the location for each folder to a shared profile area, but the NTuser.dat file will have to be in two different places.

Hope this helps

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-roaming-w2k.29031/
Relevancy 57.62%

I have three computer in my office that I would like to network. I have a 8 port hub and three nic cards. I was going to use ntserver at one time but then i was going to have to format all my computers. So now i will l just use win 98 if i can. the computers are as follows: 1.) celeron 400mhz with 64mb ram with win98se 2.)p200 with 64mb ram with win98se 3.)p75 with 32mb ram win98 first edition. I am a A+ student in traning, so I have a pretty good knowledge of the parts in the computer, but I do not have any networking experience. Could some one help me from scratch or steer me in the right direction.

Relevancy 57.62%

How can I uninstall IE 5.5 from NT 4.0? I work with autocad ADT2i & it is killing my workstation. I did fine with IE 5.1 but I can't get the 5.5 to uninstall without formating my HD. Help Plesae!!!

A:{Advice Offered} - How can I uninstall IE 5.5 from NT 4.0

Greetings

What happens when you go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall it from there?

You may need to totally uninstall it, and then re-install IE5.01, as it may not just uninstall the IE5.5 upgrade bits and restore the IE5.01 automatically.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-how-can-i-uninstall-ie-5-5-from-nt-4-0.29055/
Relevancy 57.62%

What is the procedure for adding a W98 client to a NT4 server? After the enter network password screen a window comes on saying incorrect parameter. Thanks for any help.

A:{Advice Offered} - W98 client

Greetings

I have no idea what you are actually trying to do here.

Are you trying to get the person who usually logs onto a Win98 machine to physically log onto your server, or are you trying to get a win98 machine to logon onto the domain?

I am going to work on the assumption that it is the second of my two scenarios. Firstly, you need to make sure that the Win98 machine has network conectivity. Pinging a few IPs on the network will see if it has. If the pings are returned, then it is on the physical network.

Then we need to see that address translation is working. In the TCP/IP settings on the Win98 machine, make sure you have the correct IP address for your WINS server (or DNS server, which ever you use, or both if you use both). Reboot, and see if the machine can ping computer names (not just IP addresses, like last time). If it can, then it is getting the correct address translation.

Now, you need to make sure that Client for Microsoft Networks is installed, and that in it's properties, your DOMAIN name is correctly spelled (not the name of your server, but the DOMAIN's name).

Then, all you need to do, is make sure that the username and password used is a valid username, with the correct password.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-w98-client.29057/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi,
On NT 4.0 w/IIS I have Installed Mail Max software The tech support Has told be the install if fine and it is an NT ( my ) Problem
I installed fine I created virtual Directories so the anydomain.com/mail goes to the log in page When I try to log in to the pop mail interface I get:
HTTP Error 405
405 Method Not Allowed

The method specified in the Request Line is not allowed for the resource identified by the request. Please ensure that you have the proper MIME type set up for the resource you are requesting.

Please contact the server's administrator if this problem persists.

Tech support is no help I have beat my head long enough. Any sugestion?
Where to look ?
Remote access is available.
Thanks
Jon

A:{Advice Offered} - NT IIS Errors

I searched on Microsoft's site and found many related links. Here are a few you may want to look at (I apologize if some or any of of these don't apply but maybe they'll head ya in the right direction):<ul>
[*] <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q229/2/95.ASP">FP2000: HTTP Error 405 After Renaming Page with Database Search Form</a>
[*] <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q206/0/46.ASP">FP2000: "HTTP Error Code 405" Opening or Publishing a Web</a>
[*] <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q238/4/61.ASP">Err Msg: 405 Method Not Allowed</a>
[*] <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q179/7/30.ASP">FP98: "HTTP Error Code 405" Opening or Publishing a Web</a>
[*] <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q265/0/74.ASP">FP2000: Error Message When You Submit a Form</a>

[This message has been edited by Reuel Miller (edited 02-13-2001).]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-nt-iis-errors.29827/
Relevancy 57.62%

I am connecting to a proprietary software via a telnet connection, i need to set the telnet timeout for my pc. If any one knows how to do this please help. Tech support for this company is a big run around. Thanks

A:{Advice Offered} - telnet

Greetings

Timeouts are actually set on the Shell accounts on the system you are connecting to (well, that is what the Unix guru sitting next to me tells me, and who am I to argue with him?).

Otherwise, it might be able to be set on the program you are using to connect to the remote system, but Win9x/WinNT's telnet client is not very configurable, so you might need to download a better one.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-telnet.29182/
Relevancy 57.62%

I have a LAN running Win NT with 7 users.

My question, is it ok for 'user1' log on to two different work station at the same time especially 'user1' has a log in script?

the script is to map the HDD from the server.

2. I have a 10 user licence for my NT, does 'administrator' & 'guest' contribute as one each for the licence?

Thanks very much.

A:{Advice Offered} - Username/log-on

Greetings

1) yes

2) No, I don't think so

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-username-log-on.29075/
Relevancy 57.62%

I have a HP computer with NT and when print to my printer it takes a while for the document to print. I have the correct driver loaded. Is the NT print manager program not very good? Are there better ones I can download? When I print to same printer from Win98 my pages fly off the printer. Printer is a Canon BJ4400

A:{Advice Offered} - Printing with NT

Check your spool settings, you may want to choose to have the printer "Start printing after the first page has spooled"
(If it isin't already set by default.
Also I'm not aware what the specs are of the 2 computers, but you may also want to change the data settings from RAW to EMF on the NT machine. Let me know what happens!
-Conrad Flynn
[email protected]

P.S. If you need to know how to do these things you can e-mail me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-printing-with-nt.29828/
Relevancy 57.62%

I am trying to push an installation of win 95/98 onto a client machine. I cannot find the file "netsetup.exe" on the win 95 machine. I have the resource kit installed and cannot find it in the program list. What am i missing? Also i would like to once i get the directory setup on the server using "netsetup.exe" I would like to be able to install on a formatted drive just using client software to boot the machine but i don't have any client software that i know of and i am wondering if there is some shareware or even something that i could buy. Thanks

A:{Advice Offered} - Push

Greetings

I am a little confused...

Do you want to install a full version of 95/98 over the network onto a client PC, or do you want to install a thin client onto a blank client PC that connects to a Terminal Server?

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-push.29838/
Relevancy 57.62%

How do I get the items out of my system tray and when I open some programs that are not microsoft certified they prompt me with a message saying this program may not perform properly. Is there a way to turn this off?
Thanks

A:{Advice Offered} - New programs

Greetings

Ok... those are two questions: <ol>
<LI> How do I get programs out of the system tray?

There are a few ways. Firstly, find out how they get into the system tray. Normally, these programs get in there during startup. So look under your Start Up section of your Start menu. You can delete shortcuts out of this directory, and at next boot up, the programs will not start up.

You can also look in your registry in the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce

(Not all the keys will exist, so do not worry if you do not have a few of them).

If you find a line with the name of the offending program, you can delete this line (don't forget to backup the registry, just in case).

With some programs, if you actually look in the programs options, you will find a setting to stop it loading up in the system tray at startup.

<LI> When I open some programs that are not microsoft certified they prompt me with a message saying this program may not perform properly. Is there a way to turn this off?

What program is doing that? Normally, that message is from your email, and it is one of the protections put in mby Microsoft to get people not to run programs from their mail, because they may be running viruses. If you do not want to see it again, copy the program out of your mail and onto your HD, and then run the program from your Hard Drive.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-new-programs.29839/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi,

I need your help. How do I configure multiples harddrives as one. And where can I find information, on the net about the different levels of Raid.

Thank You,

TengJ

A:{Advice Offered} - RAID

Greetings

To creat a RAID setup, you go to Disk Administrator in NT4, and to Computer Management in W2K. Clicking on the help button should give you all the info you need to create which ever RAID array you want.

Here is a brief explanation of the different types of RAID setups you can configure in NT/W2K:

Volume Set: Connects different size drives together into one logical drive. Problem is, is that it is hellishly slow, and if one of the drives fail, you can toss the entire logical drive... I hope you made daily backups!

Mirror: Lets you copy (in real time - i.e. as it is happening) the information on one drive to another drive. The reason for this, is that if the first drive fails, you just slot in the backup drive and there is access to all the data again. Problem is, is that you waste an entire HD, and the write time is slow, as it is having to write the info twice. Cool thing is, is that if that first drive fails, you are still ok, and can be up and running minutes later.

Stripe Set: This lets you connect 2 or more drives of the exact same size (or at least, the partitions must be of the exact same size) together into one logical drive. The reads and writes are done sequentially accross all the drives. This means that in a three drive Strip Set, the first byte of a file is on drive1, the second byte is drive2 and the third byte is on drive3. The fouth byte will go onto drive1, and the fifth byte onto drive2, etc. The benefits of this, mean that you can read and write X times faster then (where X equals the number of drives you have in the array) if only had one drive. However, you start to lose the speed benefits the more drives you add to the array (this is true of the Software Stripe Set. However, in a Hardware Stipe Set, where a controller card is handling the read and write commands, you can add many more drives before you start to lose speed by adding more drives). The problem is, is that if one drive fails, you loose the entire array.

Stripe Set with Parity: This is similar to the stripe set. The difference is that you need 3 or more drives, and one of the write bytes will not be a data byte, but a parity byte. A parity byte, in essence, is just a check byte. All the other bytes in the single pass are added up, and the result is written into the parity byte. And the partity bytes are spread out equally between each of the hard drives in the array. So, in a 4 drive array, it will look something like this:

<table width="45%" border="0"><font size=-1><tr><td><u>Drive1</u></td><td><u>Drive2</u></td><td><u>Drive3</u></td><td><u>Drive4</u></td></tr><tr><td> Data</td><td> Data</td><td> Data</td><td> Parity</td></tr><tr><td> Data</td><td> Data</td><td> Parity</td><td> Data</td></tr><tr><td> Data</td><td> Parity</td><td> Data</td><td> Data</td></tr><tr><td> Parity</td><td> Data</td><td> Data</td><td> Data</td></tr></table>
Now, the above collection may be just one file. There are benfits to this type of array. Firstly, it is faster then just having one drive (though, not as fast as a plain Stripe set, as it has to calculate the parity byte and write it). Also, if one drive fails, you can pop it out of the array, and pop in a new one, and run a repair. The OS will then look at all the parity bytes and calculate the bytes that are missing, and write them into the correct place. Or, just recreate the parity byte from all the bytes in that row. Unfortunately, if two drives fail at the same time, it is unrecoverable, and you will need to go to your backups.

Of course, you can use combinations of the methods above. In one of my comapnies cl... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-raid.29116/
Relevancy 57.62%

I am wondering if i want to use dhcp, do i also need to have netbeui installed? It seems that i do, in order to log on. thanks

Relevancy 57.62%

How do i uninstall win nt and install win 95?

A:{Advice Offered} - get rid of win.nt and install win.95

Greetings

If NT is installed on an NTFS partition:
FDisk, re-format, re-install.

If NT is installed on a FAT16 partition:
Format, re-install.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-get-rid-of-win-nt-and-install-win-95.29176/
Relevancy 57.62%

HELP!!!! I've got two PC's that for some reason DO NOT access the network. I've checked that the settings are the same as every other one in the network that are working just fine, but for some reason, these two are not found. They are on Win95, with a 3com card. Could it be that the ports that they are on are not active? IF so, how can I check that? I've heard of pinging, but have no idea how to do it, can someone give me some help? I'd really appreciate it!!

A:{Advice Offered} - NT access HELP

Greetings

OK, the easy way to check the ports is to take a machine that definately works. Then unplug that machine from it's current port and plug it into the port that you suspect. if the computer can not access the network, it is the port.

You can also test the cable of one of the computers that can NOT get on, by putting it into the port of a computer that CAN get on. If the computer can get on, then the cable is fine. If it can't, then it might be the cable that is at fault.

The PING test to see if TCP/IP networking is working works like this:
<LI> It only works if TCP/IP is installed

Firstly, open up a Command Prompt. Ping is run from the command line.

The first test, is to ping the loopback address of the computer, just to make sure that TCP/IP is installed and is active. You do that by typing in:

ping 127.0.0.1

If that returns a successful four pings, then TCP/IP is installed.

Next, we check the PC's IP address. So Ping the IP address that the PC is supposed to have.

Next, ping the IP address of a computer next to the problem PC. This checks that there is physical network communication working.

Next, ping the default gateway defined in the TCP/IP settings. This is just to check that the computer can see the default gateway. Then ping a computer on the other side of the gateway. If you get a reply, that means that the Subnet mask is correct.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Reuel Miller (edited 02-13-2001).]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-nt-access-help.29840/
Relevancy 57.62%

What are ports 22, and 23 for? What program or protocal uses these ports? Can I use ports 22 and 23 for ftp services?

A:{Advice Offered} - Ports 22, 23?????

Any one know the answer to this?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-ports-22-23.29937/
Relevancy 57.62%

When trying to access the Properties screen of the default web site in IIS 4.0 by any method I receive the following error:

Dr. Watson has detected the following error:
mmc.exe
Exception: Access Violation 0xc000005, address 0x5f829656

Any ideas on what the problem is or how to resolve this? Not a huge problem, yet.

Relevancy 57.62%

Working on a project at school need information or a resource to gather info(like a book or web sight)on networking an AS/400 system from one location(3rd floor) to another location same building (2nd floor instructors offices). Information to include hardware needed, software needed and cost involved.

A:{Advice Offered} - Information on the AS/400

Try what-is.com (it may be whatis). It's like the ultimate tech site. Hope this helps ya.
------------------
--"I have travelled to cities whose names I can't pronounce, but it doesn't matter because I have removed them from the Earth."--George S. Patton

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-information-on-the-as-400.29538/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi {Advice Offered} NT with Win Problems - all I m a newbie here and a rookie at Win NT I ll try to be as descriptive as possible with the details of my problem Here goes I m preparing to take a home-study course involving MCP Internet which involves the installation and consequent administration of Win NT Server and Workstation on two separate computers ahem After researching the necessary requirements of which both systems seem to comply I then proceeded to set up another primary partition on my hard {Advice Offered} - Problems with Win NT disk and installed Win NT Server No problem there Here s the glitch After the installation I discovered NT was not detecting my network adapter card or my modem I {Advice Offered} - Problems with Win NT read and re-read all the docs that came with the {Advice Offered} - Problems with Win NT NIC but could find nothing relating to the non-support of Win NT As it is necessary for both PCs to be networked without the ability to communicate between the two the course is moot I have contacted Com tech support - manufacturer of the NIC - and received a robot email thanking me for my request How nice But no support has been forthcoming I inquired if there might be an alternate driver that would meet the requirements but have heard nothing Nor have I received any such support from Microsoft I m beginning to wonder if I own the only copy of the darn thing g The NIC is question is Com C which is not listed in the Win NT device list I am at a loss here guys I keep thinking maybe there s something I failed to do when creating the partition something I should have done when installing NT As I said all this is fairly new to me so please do not hesitate to offer any advice Any news is better than none Thanks in advance geek-chick Great site Sorry I didn t find it sooner nbsp

A:{Advice Offered} - Problems with Win NT

Greetings

Well... I had a look at the 3Com site. It sent me directly to where I wanted to go... but when I went looking for further information, it sent me into a circular pattern around the first page it sent me to... I was like in a holding pattern from hell.

Anyway, I think I have gotten one or two answers:

<ol>
<LI> There may be no drivers for the cards under NT. I copy and pasted this straight off the 3Com web site:

Hmmm... no mention of NT there.
<LI> The following driver MIGHT work:
3Com Fast Etherlink PCI 10/100BASE-T Adapter (3C595)
[/list=a]

I hope this helps

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Reuel Miller (edited 05-14-2000).]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-problems-with-win-nt.28657/
Relevancy 57.62%

Anyone know why COM1 is an illegal device name when I issue the command 'mode COM1' at the command prompt in an NT Workstation 4.0 DOS session?

------------------

A:{Advice Offered} - MS-DOS and devices under NTW 4.0 SP6

Greetings

You will get that if you do not have COM1 setup.

Go to the Control Panel / Ports to setup your Com1 (it may be a different number).

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-ms-dos-and-devices-under-ntw-4-0-sp6.29656/
Relevancy 57.62%

I'm trying to network two computers with Windows 98 SE with ADSL.
Under ICS heading "General": Setting- it states;"Connect to the internet using; select the connection that you use to access the internet". Nothing is indicated on the bar nor does it allow for an insertion. Under heading "Select the network adapter that you use to access your home network";
Automatically, my ethernet card is indicated "Intel 21041 based Ethernet Controller" After clicking "ok",Windows displays "You must select the adapter that you use to access the internet before saving changes". It will not allow me to accept the aforementioned ethernet card. As a result I cannot get Internet connection sharing to show up on the Network window. What can I do?

A:{Advice Offered} - ICS Wizard

ICS is a PAIN, big one. But here is some help, first go get some headach med, then read the following artical. After which you should be able to get it up and going.

Note, I strongly suggest, removing all ICS from your system, and starting over following the directions in this artical. ICS is tricky, and seems to only setup if you do everything just right the first time, otherwise you have to start all over.

and lastly, GOOD LUCK!
http://www.annoyances.org/win98/features/ics.html

------------------
~Jason

Infinity Networking and PC's
[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-ics-wizard.28460/
Relevancy 57.62%

Need help trying to logon on to Windows NT this machine use to be on a network, but now is a stand alone unit. Everytime I try to logon to the machine Window NT looks for a domain name which is no longer available, can I bypass this?

A:{Advice Offered} - Windows NT HELP

yes !! when you hit ctrl+alt+delet in the pull down for domain you should see the domain and the local computer name but you must know the admin password or had a local pasword for that computer try that !!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-windows-nt-help.28663/
Relevancy 57.62%

For some unknown reason, I can't get boot.ini to run on one of my computers but it runs fine on the second. I have had occasion to reinstall Win 2k twice (what fun!) and neither time did it install boot.ini.

Relevancy 57.62%

Crash dump is disabled! NT failed to initalize the boot partition paging file for crashdump. This may be because the system has more than 3.8GB of physical memory. how do i clear this event i only have 192 meg of ram !!! any ideas thanks rodman know i am full of questions to night

A:{Advice Offered} - Event id 43

Are you asking how to clear the event log? You can do that by going into the Event Viewer, choosing the Log menu, then choosing Clear All Events.

That error means that you don't have enough free space on your boot partition for a RAM dump. You can either free up space, or you can move the location of the crashdump file. Control Panel, System, Startup/Shutdown tab - Write Debugging information to. You can also disable the feature, then you will never be bothered by it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-event-id-43.28466/
Relevancy 57.62%

I have a Windows NT Server 4.0. It has dual 700 MHz Pentium III processors. This machine serves as more than a server, and I would like to install a CD-RW. So far I have not been able to find a drive that is comatible with/supported on NT Server. Can anyone give me some ideas? Changing the OS is not really an option. Thank you.

------------------
JAMiE

Relevancy 57.62%

Need help backing up a drive in nt4 using the "AT" command in a dos promt. Need to know what the syntax would be. Thanks

A:{Advice Offered} - at command in nt

Greetings

What are you trying to back up?

If it is just your data, then setup a CMD file with all the commands in it (to stop which ever services might be holding the files open, copy the data, and restart the services up again).

Then you just need the AT command to run the CMD file at a specific time:

AT /every:M,T,W,Th,F C:\backup.cmd
However, this is not the best way to backup your server. The best way is to actually get a backup software (like Backup Exec, or ArcServe), which will have it's scheduler, that you can use to backup files that a simple copy cammoand can not backup (like the registry, and any open files).

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-at-command-in-nt.29411/
Relevancy 57.62%

Is there anyway a harddrive containing NT can be accessed if Nt itself is not booting
NT will not boot but tells me what .dll's are missing
If I could access the HD I could place the files in the syatem folders.
Can anyone help
It is quite urgent

Relevancy 57.62%

My boss is installing PCAnywhere on NT 4.0 machines. On one machine, only logging on as administrator to the machine allowed pc anywhere to be installed (instead of logging on as administrator to the domain). In another machine, an error message comes up that indicates either files or missing or the something in the registry has to be changed. I heard that deleting a file on NT 4.0 called "Program" II don't know the extension) can fix a lot of PCAnywhere problems. Does anyone know if that's true?

Roger

A:{Advice Offered} - pcanywhere and nt 4.0

I'd try installing a service pack first. A lot of times that will fix corrupt or missing files. However before you do that make sure you uninstall PC any.., then run the SP, then try PC any again.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-pcanywhere-and-nt-4-0.29560/
Relevancy 57.62%

As I mentioned in my other request the domain name has a .com on the end. Can I rename the Domain name to remove the .com or will I have to reinstall NT to do this?

A:{Advice Offered} - Domain Name

Greetings

While Definately NOT recommended, it is possible. Here are some Technet articles that will help you through the process:

Renaming a Domain: Process and Side Effects

Unable to Change Domain Name of Windows NT BDC

How to Migrate Objects from One Domain to Another Domain
You may only need the info from the first article, but I have included the other two for completeness.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-domain-name.29234/
Relevancy 57.62%

I installed Windows 2000 Professional on an NTFS partition and it seemed to work okay. I decided I wanted it on FAT32 so I could multi-boot with '98. So, I re-FDISKed the drive and set up a FAT32 Primary partition using half the drive space, about 5 Gigs.

I installed 2000 and on boot, I get this INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error message. Frankly, I know nothing of NT or 2000 and have no idea how to fix this.

Would someone please refer me to a place where I can troubleshoot such an error?

------------------
Run NetZero without the ad banner; solve a complete Windows disaster in five minutes; get a fully-functional FREE copy of PowerDesk. Send me a mail with the digits, 0000, as the subject.

Relevancy 57.62%

Hello Everyone,

I just got a new job with a non-profit organization that deals with disadvantaged kids in Columbus, OH.

This job involves a great deal of networking which I am not experienced in. I am knowledgable in a lot of other computer related areas, but not in networking.

We have Win NT 4.0 servers and desktops in our organization and I need to get some basic training in Win NT 4.0, but the organization's funds is very limited at this time.

Does anyone know of any on-line places where I can get some basic Win NT 4.0 training?

I've heard of some interactive CD training, but I am not certain if there are any for Win NT 4.0.

Can anyone help out?

Any help is appreciated!

Regards

------------------
Rick Bretz

A:{Advice Offered} - Win NT Training

Yes there are several sites, most require you to buy their software. By far the cheapest way would be to buy books instead. To get the general overview of NT4 you could try several books, but just for example, ExamCram. The majority of the examcram books are about 30 USD. You can buy them in a bundle (NT server 4.0,TCP/IP,NT workstation,etc..) These will sometimes include testing cds, which give random questions similar to those given when testing for the Microsoft certified professional/Microsoft certified System Engineer certifications.
I have given examcram as an example since it condenses this material quite nicely. Though if you have time you could read other books which go further into detail, but I fear the demands on your time which your work will demand will probably limit you to a condensed overview, verses a book which elborates on each detail and the theory behind them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-win-nt-training.28610/
Relevancy 57.62%

I need your expertise. I have a group of developers in our organization that need to do some heavy testing on their web server (they want to emulate a thousand or so users hitting it at once), and we want to put them on another segment outside of our trusted network, but still allow them access to some of our resources. If I install a router and allow them to access our network will the traffic that they generate during their testing come over to our side and affect our bandwidth etc….

A:{Advice Offered} - Segmenting

Greetings

It shouldn't. the only traffic that will come over the router is traffic that is addressed to the other side of the router.... if they are connecting to a PC on thier side of the router, the traffic will stay there.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-segmenting.28564/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi,
Can you Create a Domain with out windows NT Server, eg With Win95/98/Windows NT Workstation.

Or to set up the Network so when a user logson it will run a logon script

@Echo off
Netuse F: //Server/Common
Netuse G: //Server/Resorces
Netuse H: \Home

I want a user to have there own saving space in the G drive i can do it manuley but it means a sertan user has to stay on that computer?

Thanks for any advice

A:{Advice offered} - Domains

No, to have a Domain, you MUST have a PDC(primary domain controller) setting up a network with 9x or NT workstation machines gives you a workgroup.

As far as people having their own space on the server, you can set up home directories for each user when creating their accounts in User Manager for Domains. You will need a share on the server and when you create the account go into the profile button and specify the path to their share by using the %username% variable. That way, when the account is created their directory will be created that only they can access!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-domains.28621/
Relevancy 57.62%

I notice that the CPU of primary domain controller has reached 100% CPU time in permormance monitor.

The NTVDM.EXE process has reached CPU 98% for time 37:44:54... something is going wrong with this NTVDM.EXE. Does anybody know what this NTVDM.EXE stands for? Will a restart solve the CPU problem?
Thanks in advance!