Windows Support Forum

Problem Deleting Files, or Renaming Folder

Q: Problem Deleting Files, or Renaming Folder

This problem probably occured while trying to establish a Internet Connection Service ICS beteen a Desktop running WIN XP Pro and a laptop running WIN K in the last few days but I Problem Renaming Folder or Deleting Files, m not entirely sure This problem pertains to the C Documents and Settings DC Local Settings Temporary Internet Files folder There are currently files within this folder Right clicking any of the nine files to view it s properties indicates Expires None Last Modified None Last Accessed AM I CANNOT Problem Deleting Files, or Renaming Folder delete any of the nine files If I try to delete one nothing happens No deletion or error message All nine of the files show an quot Internet Address of quot hcp system quot with various extensions xml htm css bmp If I look at the properties of the quot Temporary Internet Files quot folder It indicates Size MB Size on Disk MB Contains Files Folders It also indicates that the folder is read only and cannot quot check quot the quot Hidden quot box grayed out If I try to Delete the folder I get a error message indicating it is a Windows system folder and cannot be deleted It also cannot be renamed If I go into CLI mode and go to the quot Local Settings quot directory and do a quot dir quot command The result is that the quot Temporary Internet Files quot directory is not listed The only directories listed are quot Application Data quot Apps quot amp quot Temp quot I have tried to delete the files in Safe Mode without success Thanks for any help in resolving this problem Albert Resolution Cleared IE History nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-deleting-files-or-renaming-folder.583999/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Problem Deleting Files, or Renaming Folder

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 90.3%

Hi there What i describe below doesn't always happen but it does lots of times let's say I delete a folder it will tell me that problem and Renaming and files folders deleting access is denied a program is using it to solve that I have to open another Renaming and deleting folders and files problem folder or click on an image then go back to the folder I want to delete Renaming and deleting folders and files problem and delete it That's annoying Annoyance Renaming this is all over the network here's what I do Open randomly named folder to check content Go back up one folder level to rename the folder according to content ERROR Folder is in use by another program not specified please try again Try opening another folder and then going back again to rename originally wanted folder sometimes it works Wait - minutes before renaming Okay no wait I just tried to rename a folder without even going into the folder ERROR quot The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program Close the folder or file and try again quot That's very very annoying W ultimate x Thanks in advance

A:Renaming and deleting folders and files problem

Quote: Originally Posted by antoniomc

Hi there

What i describe below doesn't always happen but it does lots of times:
let's say I delete a folder.... it will tell me that access is denied, a program is using it.... to solve that, I have to open another folder, or click on an image, then go back to the folder I want to delete, and delete it. That's annoying.

Annoyance #2: Renaming (this is all over the network) here's what I do:

1. Open randomly named folder to check content.
2. Go back up one folder level to rename the folder according to content.
3. ERROR!!! Folder is in use by another program (not specified), please try again
4. Try opening another folder and then going back again to rename originally wanted folder... sometimes it works.
5. Wait 5-10 minutes before renaming.

Okay... no wait!! I just tried to rename a folder without even going into the folder....ERROR!! "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program. Close the folder or file and try again."

That's very very annoying
W7 ultimate x64
Thanks in advance.

Hi AntonioMC! Welcome to SevenForums! Have you got any back-up software running (e.g. Acronis True Image,Norton Ghost etc.)? As this may be using the files.

Thanks,
ZeshanA
If I helped, click the scales above my post and click I Approve.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/40991-renaming-deleting-folders-files-problem.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Hi I have a XP Home SP computer and whenever you try to delete rename create anything using explorer explorer crashes giving the send file/folder to crash Deleting/Renaming/Creating explorer causes a and dont send dialog Meaning i cant do anything I can use the command prompt to do these tasks however so i dont think its a hard disk issue I have tried all of the above in safe mode under the administrator and a normal user and i still get the Deleting/Renaming/Creating a file/folder causes explorer to crash errors I have also disabled all non-MS services and all unnecessary startup entries and the problem still occurs The computer runs Zonealarm Security Suite Firewall Anti-virus Anti-spyware etc and Adaware se personal both which turn up no viruses or spyware apart from the occasonal cookie So i dont think that it is a virus or spyware infection This behavior occurs over all system files Does anyone have any suggestions before i have to reinstall XP I will post a hijack this log if required Thanks for your time Grunty nbsp

Relevancy 79.12%

I'm trying to delete and/or rename some of my music files that are located on my C: drive under My Documents/My Music and I keep getting a sharing violation error message on some of them. Some I can delete or rename just fine, but others I get this error message. Any suggestions?

I have Windows 2000 with Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1.

A:Deleting or Renaming Music Files

You could try unlocker.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/deleting-or-renaming-music-files.587730/
Relevancy 78.26%

I do not want to start a new thread hence I am dropping my comments here.

My Windows explorer was preventing me from renaming and deleting files and it was quite a pain until I discovered this thread: Windows Explorer hangs when deleting or renaming files

Problem solved!

p/s: I joined this forum just to say thanks, very much appreciated help!

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/299470-explorer-preventing-me-renaming-deleting-files.html
Relevancy 78.26%

I have had problems with the msvcrt dll file causing crashes in Adobe After reading for possible fixes I tried renaming msvcrt dll in c windows system to msvcrt Renaming & Solved: msvcrt.dll files deleting old with the intention Solved: Renaming & deleting msvcrt.dll files of pasting in a different version of msvcrt dll Whenever msvcrt dll is renamed or deleted however a new one is automatically regenerated If a msvcrt dll file is present a newer version cannot be pasted over it as an error comes up that the file already exists Somehow can t remember now I did manage to get a different version of msvcrt dll into the folder So then I had the original msvcrt dll named msvcrt old and the pasted in version was msvcrt dll This didn t fix my problem however so then I tried changing back This is where my new problem is - I can t change back to the old version of msvcrt dll If I delete the existing new dll file a copy is automatically regenerated I can t replace it by pasting over it If I delete it a new one is generated I can t rename the old file to msvcrt dll as I get the message that one already exists I tried rebooting and looked for a command prompt but I only appeared to have an option of safe mode with prompt which was a command prompt within safe mode windows I tried deleting and renaming there but the process was not allowed How can I change these files back or how do I get to a proper DOS prompt nbsp

Relevancy 78.26%

As the title states, whenever I right click on a file, beit on the desktop or in a folder somewhere, it can take anywhere between 10 and 20 seconds before I can click on "Delete" or "Rename". When I try clicking on one of the two, my CD drive (or hard drive?) starts spinning and it won't let me click on my desired action until it's up to its "cruising speed" in RPM.

Can anyone help with this issue?

(Running: Windows XP SP2)

A:Right-click hangs when deleting/renaming files

Have you hear the noise every since you got the PC? DO you run Anti Spyware and Anti Adware programs on you system weekly? When is the last time the Anti Virus program was updated? Have you tried Checkdisk/Scan Disk to be sure there are no errors on the HDD? Have you deleted Temp files and cache files? When is the last time you defragged the HDD?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/right-click-hangs-when-deleting-renaming-files.555220/
Relevancy 77.4%

I googled this problem and found this forum but the for a files. VERY new Problems OS deleting, renaming irritatin moving, thread is older and does not address the problem I'm on a network where I keep my files but I'm very aware of whether or not these might be open elsewhere From time to time at any old time of the day randomly it seems in other words I'll go in and try to arrange rename or get rid of files Problems deleting, moving, renaming files. VERY irritatin for a new OS and I'll get quot The action can't be completed because the file is open in Windows Explorer Close file and try again quot Except that the file ISN'T open anywhere I had this frustrating experience again just a moment ago so I went online to find this forum I didn't recall how the above message was quite worded so I went back to the same file and this time it allowed me to delete it Miffed I tried another and it worked again I tried yet another and this time I got the message This particular file I'm trying to delete hasn't been open for months Any Problems deleting, moving, renaming files. VERY irritatin for a new OS ideas

A:Problems deleting, moving, renaming files. VERY irritatin for a new OS

Are you using any media managing applications?
Have you tried setting the view to details instead of thumbnail?

Both of these could result in the system claiming the files are in use.
There is also an application I have personally found useful in detailing why files are 'locked'
Download Unlocker 1.9.1 - FileHippo.com

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/192879-problems-deleting-moving-renaming-files-very-irritatin-new-os.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Ive Been Having This Problem For a Few Weeks now Havent had the chance to Actually Sit down and try to address the Issue until Today but i need to resolve this Issue As its Slowing up My Work and projects Pretty Much What Happens is When I have a File that I want to send to the Recycle Bin Delete Windows Explorer just Freezes and brings deleting Files... Professional Hangs 7 Renaming when Windows or Up a Status Bar as If its Loading But it never completes the Task because it just Sits there for a Really Long Time So Far This is What Ive Done -Clean Boot in which i goto Msconfig Windows 7 Professional Hangs when deleting or Renaming Files... and Adjust the settings to only Load system resources Upon Startup and such and then Reboot the Computer Ive done this Twice Already and still the same thing unable to Delete or Rename files -Ive Also tried to Startup Windows in Safe Mode and Try to Perform tasks as well and Still I was Unable to delete or Rename Files -Ive Ran a Virus Scan to see if it could be a potential Virus Issue although i found virus throughout my entire system i was still unable to delete or rename files -I also tried the CMD prompt when trying to manually delete or make changes to a File and i was unsuccessful with that -I Ran a ScanDsk to cleanup my drive and also Defrag but still Nothing -I also Created a Seperate User Account with Admin Settings to see if I could Perform Tasks on that User Account and Perhaps the current account I use was corrupted but i couldnt Rename or Delete Files in that Either I can Move The Files to Different Drives Other than the Recycle bin But i cant Delete them and Its only Certain files that are like this Im not sure if it is possibly an issue with the Registry or Some sort of Component Storage Corruption mumbo jumbo that ive been finding online Or what but If someone has a Fix For this and Can help I would Appreciate it thanks

A:Windows 7 Professional Hangs when deleting or Renaming Files...

For starters, try this free tool:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
Disable all of the non-Windows extensions, reboot and see if that helps.
If it does, re-enable ½ of them at a time to figure out where the problem lies.

Also, Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/577589/windows-7-professional-hangs-when-deleting-or-renaming-files/
Relevancy 76.54%

Hi and Happy Easter to all

I seem to be having a problem deleting a folder along with it files , every time I try , it says access denied , I have checked all the permissions etc that I can think of to be able to do it .

I have attached a couple of screen shots that may shed some light on the problem .

Running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit .

spike

Relevancy 74.39%

I recently reinstalled Win 7 as it had started running very slowly. That problem's gone, but now there's a new annoyance of course. Whenever I rename or delete a folder, the operation isn't carried out unless I press F5 - in other words if I rename a folder to 'Games', it'll remain 'New Folder' until I press F5. This wasn't happening before; what's going on?

Thanks in advance for any help.

A:Strange problem with renaming/deleting

Note: Before you make any changes to the registry, please back it up using ERUNT. Directions are here: ERUNT - How to backup and restore Windows XP registry

Click Start, type regedit in the box and hit Enter.
Right click HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and click Find.
Type dontrefresh in the search box and hit Enter.

You will see the value called DontRefresh, right click it to change the value, set it to 0.

Restart your computer

From post by Kirsch: Solved - Desktop refresh

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/139497-strange-problem-renaming-deleting.html
Relevancy 74.39%

So b asically whenever I try and delete or move a file I m problem and renaming Deleting, moving assuming Deleting, renaming and moving problem the deleting problem is rooted in the moving problem since deletion is just moving to the recylcing bin that progress bar either fills up the entire way and doesn t go or it just keeps calculating how long it will take or w e and that light green bar that hyperactively keeps moving well keeps moving and never ends I have to restart explorer exe from the task manager and then when Deleting, renaming and moving problem I go back it s all done So I can delete and move files but that progress bar just never leaves When I rename a file the window I do it in locks up So if it is desktop the desktop locks up If it is my personal folder the personal folder locks up Like moving deleting I have to restart explorer exe I downloaded Unlocker and it told me none of my files are locked up I can delete stuff with it just fine but that s because it deletes it off the face of the earth and not move it to the recycling bin The same problem happens when I move it though but when I rename a file using it the moving problem occurs bar fills up and just stops This is a huge problem because it means I can t delete files using non-explorer programs like mediamonkey and it also means that everytime someone sends me something through MSN my MSN locks up because it tries to move the file Also when I install some things it can t fully install because it can either not delete a file or it can t move it So yeah thanks P S Yes I have restarted nbsp

Relevancy 73.53%

I have 10 or so files in a folder:

folder\file_01_01_01.swf
folder\file_01_01_02.swf
folder\file_01_01_03.swf
folder\file_01_01_04.swf

i would like to rename these files:

folder\newfilename_01_01_01.swf
folder\newfilename_01_01_02.swf
folder\newfilename_01_01_03.swf
folder\newfilename_01_01_04.swf
I have the code to change each file seperately,

' Sub Rename()
' Dim FileName As String
' Dim NewFileName As String
' On Error Resume Next

' FileName = "C:\folder\file_01_01_01.swf"
' NewFileName = "C:\folder\newfilename01_01_01.swf"
' Name FileName As NewFileName
' End Sub

but i was hoping for a slick way to do it all...
any help...

Relevancy 73.53%

Hello,

I'm running Windows 7 x64 on a desktop PC. I download pictures, and rename them using the rename process in Windows Explorer. When I rename pictures in the folder, they'll have the name like pic (1) pic (2) pic (3) and so on. I can rename pictures until I reach pic (10001). At that point, Explorer no longer automatically increments them. The renaming status bar turns red, and an error message says: "The file name(s) would be too long for the destination folder". I am however, able to manually enter numbers higher than 10001, so I'm not sure what the error message is referencing.

Is there a registry entry, or environmental variable that I can increase the value to be greater than 10001?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/621282/when-renaming-files-is-there-a-maxvalue-set-for-files-in-a-folder-of-10001/
Relevancy 68.8%

hi
m facin problems renaming any new folder
every time i tried to name it da followin pops up
"the file or folder does not exist'

i hav sony vaio laptop with window vista ultimate
lookin 4wards to a response
thanx

A:problem renaming a new folder

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934160Hope this helps

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/187310/problem-renaming-a-new-folder/
Relevancy 68.8%

I'm a reasonably advanced user but new to Vista I've just spent three frustrating hours trying to edit my HTML files using notepad My files were originally from an XP PC I Folder renaming problem keep getting errors when I rename the folder containing my files e g I can Folder renaming problem be opening editing and saving in a 'New Folder' but when Folder renaming problem I rename it to 'images' my files will only open as read only I can copy and paste the files to another location and they will become editable again paste them back to the renamed folder and they revert to read only No matter what I try to reset permissions on the folder or individual files they remain read only I have checked my permission settings and ensured I have full control on the entire drive and I have disabled the UAC control This is a brand new HP Pavilion dv running all new software I am the only user Any help will stop me from throwing it out the window

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/248299-folder-renaming-problem.html
Relevancy 68.37%

How do i rename my folders..........My operating system is vista lite and i'm the administrator on the laptop.......

Please help me......

Relevancy 68.37%

When I create a new folder at the root of the C: or D: drive on the navigation pane, I cannot name it more than 3 characters. The 4th character causes it to revert to the first character only.

I can rename the same folder in the right pane and it sticks.

I can also create or rename a folder at the C: or D: using a command window (run cmd)

But using the Windows Explorer always the strange 3 character limit. I have no idea what is causing it.

Has anyone else experienced this

A:Strange renaming folder problem

Hello kdransom, and welcome to Seven Forums.

If you like, see if downloading and merging the .reg file for the listed Folder option in the tutorial below may help. It will restore the default associations and protocols for folders, and hopefully fix this as well.

Default File Type Associations - Restore

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/283623-strange-renaming-folder-problem.html
Relevancy 64.93%

-problem with deleting files/folder
-using windows xp
-delete function from right click is enabled, able to click on it but nothing is happening when this is done
-confirm delete promt is shown but only for a second, not even letting user confirm or cancel deletion
-able to move files/folders though
-moved files and folders to recycle bin in the hope of just emtying the recycle bin successfully but same situation is true for recycle bin
-moved files/folders to be deleted in one folder, shared this folder over a network, and was able to access and delete the said files and folders remotely
-wanted to have files/folders deleted locally
-please help. thanks ;)

A:pls help-- deleting files/folder in xp.. thanks

does this user have admin privilages? sometimes that can stop it... if thats not it then could be something else going on like a virus or spyware, one way to check is and online scan such as Panda active scan although i prefer housecall.trendmicro.com as it also fixes errors and lets you know of any vunerabilities and how to fix them also.... is this the only issue your having or are there other small issues? any new updates? this can sometimes cause problems too... if so you can try restoring to the last date you could delete folders/files.... also have you tried just clicking on the file/folder once and hitting your delete button on the keyboard? does that work?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/pls-help-deleting-files-folder-in-xp-thanks-189924.html
Relevancy 64.93%

If I m not in the correct sub-forum then perhaps someone can point me in the right direction This problem is a wee bit problem Renaming Files difficult to explain but I ll try I have a folder called Aircraft Photos and at the moment there are photos in this folder After downloading the latest photo opening the Renaming Files problem folder and clicking on View then Arrange Icons - By Name I noticed that many of the Images had swapped names Now when I try to Rename the images back to their original name it seems to have a knock-on effect Renaming the file to original name will change the name of another file image elsewhere in the folder So I m just running around in circles I tried restart but to no avail Just before the restart I noticed a message that said something about a problem with an add-on maybe Photobucket Renaming Files problem but I couldn t read it all before the restart begun There was also an error report to send Please help nbsp

Relevancy 64.5%

Hi All,

I was doing a defrag today, and saw that several files did not defragment. These were located in the Windows\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\DataColl folder. These files are titled "CollectedDataxx.xml, where 'xx' is a number.

What is the nature of these files, and can they be deleted safely without impacting other programs?

Cheers,
Mike T.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/deleting-xml-files-in-pchealth-folder.128378/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hello everybody,

Can you tell me how can I delete all files from a folder and its subfolders in windows 7. While deleting I don't want to delete subfolders, just files.

The second thing that is important: I don't want to do it manually, but automatically. All files at once. I have large folders with many subfolders, and it would take long if I performed the task manually.

Thanks for help,
LOR

A:Deleting all files from a folder and its subfolders

Have a look at this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13800575/delete-files-in-subfolder-using-batch-script

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/316458-deleting-all-files-folder-its-subfolders.html
Relevancy 64.5%

My pin stopped working after Windows 10 did an update. I followed instructions read elsewhere to delete contents of my Ngc folder. I went to my account setting to create a pin. It asked me for my password to log in. I entered it and then nothing happened.

Now when I go back to sign-in options for my account and I click create pin the system works for a second and then stops and nothing happens. This is after a fresh reboot. If I try to enter the sign-in options a second time without rebooting the page does not load at all.

Thank you in advance for your help

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/60922-cannot-reset-pin-after-deleting-files-ngc-folder.html
Relevancy 64.5%

What happens if I delete the files in my Tablet 8.1 OneDrive Folder?  Do the corresponding files in my online OneDrive get deleted too?  I very much do not want this to happen.  The files arrived in the folder after they were uploaded to OneDrive. (synced presumably?).  I set them all so they are not available offline which I understand (just about) means they are Smart Files which do not occupy storage space on my small HDD.  But if they were synced in one direction (downloaded) is what I do with them synced in the the other direction (uploaded)?   

I think it will be clear that this is something I am new too and know (too) little about!

Also, are Smart Files unique to Microsoft / Windows, or will I find this behaviour with other Cloud services?

I would be grateful for some enlightenment on this.

clayto

A:Deleting files in the OneDrive Folder

If you delete the files in the OneDrive folder they are deleted online as well. Any files that are deleted from OneDrive should be sent to the recycle bin.

OneDrive - Delete or restore files and folders

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576620/deleting-files-in-the-onedrive-folder/
Relevancy 64.5%

I have a dell dimension 8200 running xp SP3. I was looking to delete the drivers for a linksys wireless adapter that didn't work and noticed the download file. I did a search for a driver's folder but didn't find one so maybe I'm using the wrong terminology.

In any case, the downloads folder contains over 2 G of files that were already downloaded. The question is, is it safe to delete files in this folder if the programs were already installed? I would assume this folder simply contains files that were already installed but didn't know if deleting these files to create more room on the hard drive would have any negative consequences (other than having to download them in the future if needed)?

A:deleting files in download folder

Yes delete them. I usually hang on to the ones I've installed and kept, just to remind me what I've added. I'm not short of space.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/deleting-files-in-download-folder.1115616/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi Guys!
I am working on a Gateway835GM with Windows XP Media Edition: I have many files in my Windows folder with these titles - $Ntuninstall, $NtServiceP and files beginning with
KB92xxxx.
Can you tell me what they are, what they do and if I can safely delete them?
I am deleting temp, .tmp, and Internet temporary files, etc. to try to clean up my system a little.
I have been downloading digital scrapbooking materials and listening to music from playlist.com... in case this has bearing on the issue.
Thanks for your time!
NanaJ

A:Deleting Files in Windows folder

$Ntuninstall is created when you install Service Pack, hot fix or security patches.
The files with the KB#### is the representation of updates from Microsoft.
You can use to read update information by putting number after KB to the link below

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=####
kbid is the number after KB.

You can delete $Uninstall folder if you are not planning to uninstall any updates.

I wouldn't recommand you to delete the folder since deleting file is not a good thing to do

Best.

NanaJ2462 said:

Hi Guys!
I am working on a Gateway835GM with Windows XP Media Edition: I have many files in my Windows folder with these titles - $Ntuninstall, $NtServiceP and files beginning with
KB92xxxx.
Can you tell me what they are, what they do and if I can safely delete them?
I am deleting temp, .tmp, and Internet temporary files, etc. to try to clean up my system a little.
I have been downloading digital scrapbooking materials and listening to music from playlist.com... in case this has bearing on the issue.
Thanks for your time!
NanaJClick to expand...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/deleting-files-in-windows-folder.675190/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi, I hope you can help me. Yesterday I noticed a strange problem occuring when I try to rename files. I get a message saying "If you change a file name extension, the file may become unusable. Are you sure you want to change it?"

If i click yes, it converts the file into some unusable file that i can't open.

I thought the problem may have been caused by a program I tried called CCleaner, which includes a registry cleaner. However, I kept backups of the deleted registry entries, and restored them when I noticed this problem. But that failed to solve it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 63.64%

hello From The My Deleting And Folder ! 3721 Computer Files everyone I am new to this website and I need some help so my spyware search and destroy found all these quot cnsmin quot series files and it just wont let me delete them then I found you guys and knew that I have to delete them from safe mode fine I Deleting The 3721 Folder And Files From My Computer ! went to safe mode by presing F then select quot safe mode quot for the very first time and all those files are GONE yes they are all gone there isnt a folder no more there isnt any cns related fille no more Deleting The 3721 Folder And Files From My Computer ! then I rebooted back to the normal OS and dang it they are all back again well let s try the safe mode method again and I can t get in to the safe mode no more by pressing F Instead everytime I press F it gives me options of quot which device to boot from quot here come my two questions how can I delete all this annoying stuff from my computer how do I get to safe mode again since it doesn t give me the options to go to safe mode no more by pressing F thank you very much in advance Mod edit to comply with BC Ruleshttp www bleepingcomputer com boardrules php

A:Deleting The 3721 Folder And Files From My Computer !

please read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". You may have performed some of these steps already. About half way down are instructions for downloading HijackThis and creating a log.When you have done that, post a log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. Please include the top portion of the HijackThis log that lists version information. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix.Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log here.After posting a log you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc.) unless advised by a HJT Team member. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/81823/deleting-the-3721-folder-and-files-from-my-computer/
Relevancy 63.64%

Files Automatically deleting but folder remains (files like images audios & videos are getting deleted from different folders (randomly) , is it my os problem or sumthing wrong with my hard drive or any virus which my antivirus cant detect ? any1 faced something like this before ?

Plx really need help asap

A:Files Automatically deleting but folder remains

Your files are probably not being deleted, but there are viruses out there that hide your files.
In Windows Explorer, go to Tools/Folder Options/View and put a check box in Show Hidden Files and Folders.
Then download and run unhide.exe This will make your files viewable Also, please click on the link in my signature for Virus/Malware Help and do those things and post in that section of the forum for more help.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/files-automatically-deleting-but-folder-remains-648073.html
Relevancy 63.64%

I have read in some places that a good thing to do when cleaning up a computer is to delete the files from the windows temp folder running xp home Folder Windows Deleting Files Temporary In The instructions I read said to go to Start gt my computer gt disc c gt windows At that point the computer says that the files in that folder are very important for operating system and should not be altered The instructions I read said to continue on into the windows folder and go to the folder named quot temp quot Deleting Files In Windows Temporary Folder at that point open the windows temp folder and delete the files within The individual was not talking about the quot temporary internet files quot folder but rather the above mentioned file named simply quot temp quot and found in the quot windows quot folder Says that this will help in making computer run faster I have been afraid to actually do it as I ve not heard much about it and don t want to mess up I regularly run disc cleanup and scandisc and defrag as well as malware scans Tried browsing the forums here for info on the windows temp folder but could not find any Any thoughts on this subject Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks

A:Deleting Files In Windows Temporary Folder

Hi monkeydog, when you run a disc clean up that is what it cleans up your temp folder, along with a few other things. But by the looks of it you are keeping your PC in good health. PLEASE be careful about using 3rd party software to clean up your pc as if you do not know what you are deleting or how it is used SERIOUS DAMAGE TO YOUR SYSTEM may occur.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/88807/deleting-files-in-windows-temporary-folder/
Relevancy 63.21%

I created the USMT with X64 and X86 and copied my files in there. When I run a Scanstate to create my config.xml all but a handful of files are gone. My X64 folder contains 33 files and when I run "scanstate /i:migapp.xml /i:migdocs.xml /genconfig:"C:\usmt\config.xml"
/v:13" all but 9 files are gone. I do have my config.xml located in the root folder above. Whats left is csiagent.dll, migcore.dll, migstore.dll, migsys.xml, mxeagent.xml, Scanstate.exe, scanstate.log, unbcl.dll and wdscore.dll. Any suggestions on why
the remaining files were deleted?

Thank you all
Dave

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/793bdb23-b731-435b-89b6-920f41310889/usmt-5-and-scanstate-folder-deleting-source-files?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 63.21%

Hey all, I am just wondering if it safe to delete all these $NTUNINSTALLKB files that are highlighted in blue inside the windows folder. They only appear when you uncheck the hide windows files and folders the same as temp files. I read somewhere that someone was advised it was safe to delete them but I would like to find out myself.

Relevancy 63.21%

Hi, i deleted my partitions by mistake. Drive originally had 2 partitions, 100MB (Windows 7 setup partitiion) and 930GB (Data storage partition).

In summary:

1) I deleted the 100MB partition (because disk is(was) now storage disk) and 930gb partition were deleted too.
2) I started following a guide from microsoft and re-create the 2 partitions as RAW (without format) (i ruined everything on this..).
3) I deleted the 2 raw partition and created a full space partition to the disk QUICK FORMATTING NTFS.
4) Started to try "Recuva" but most of the files recovered (1,000,000 files) are broken, i tried the option to recover FOLDER STRUCTURE but fails.

Is there any way to recover the files and FOLDER STRUCTURE properly? Except of the partitions deletions/creations i didn't write anything inside the disk.

Thanks and regards,
Sebasti?n.

A:Recover Files after deleting partition with folder structure?

Hi

Welcome to Seven Forums
First course of action would be to use the affected hard drive as little as possible.
I'm not exactly clear as to what you did in steps one to three above. Can you confirm the following:
The disk in question is not your system drive?
The 100MB Windows 7 partition was on that drive?
I think it's fair to say that you may not be able to recover the folder structure, a dedicated data-recovery shop may be able to help out with that but primarily with file recovery.

Will await your response and regards

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/175414-recover-files-after-deleting-partition-folder-structure.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I searched given alone up a files already deleting backed 2.0 up and backing - 360 folder Norton and tried a few things around a little bit and decided to post it here as I was not getting anywhere I have Norton installed on my laptop running in Windows XP Pro SP Problem I want to delete all the files in the back up with Norton Too many unimportant files got added to Norton 360 2.0 - backing up a given folder alone and deleting already backed up files a folder in the backup setting and that occupied all the space and now there is no more space left and Norton keeps saying quot Norton 360 2.0 - backing up a given folder alone and deleting already backed up files you have fully used your online storage Please add more storage quot I went to back-up Norton 360 2.0 - backing up a given folder alone and deleting already backed up files settings - gt Secure Online Storage - gt Delete previously backed up files - gt Selected some files - see note below - gt Remove Selected files and it is taking forever I got weird messages quot Deleteing files of transferring quot but it never completed I left it run for several hours of why transferring something while I am deleting something Selected some files I could select the files from a single folder only since I don t see a way to select multiple folders gosh do we have to repeat the same for every folder in the back-up setting Problem Where do I change the setting so that Norton can run the back-up processes even while I am doing other things on the computer I remember choosing an option at the time of installing Norton to run the back-up while the computer is idle and I regret it now because I can t even touch the computer while the back-up process is running Now I can t see where I can change it so that the back-up processes can run while I am working on the computer Problem I want Norton to back-up all the files from two folders only But Norton automatically adds the quot C Documents and Settings quot folder to the list of folders to back-up which is what is causing the hell break loose on me with the above other issues Is there a way to unselect quot C Documents and Setting quot folder from the list of back-up folders I think the user interface with previous version of Norton was friendly and easy to use Any help will be much appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Norton 360 2.0 - backing up a given folder alone and deleting already backed up files

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/norton-360-2-0-backing-up-a-given-folder-alone-and-deleting-already-backed-up-files.785151/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello,
since quite some time, I have a weird problem. When moving or renaming files on a Samba shares using my Windows 7 x64 machine as a client. These files always end up in the share's root folder because in the corresponding SMB packets, Windows 7 only sends
the filenames instead of the full paths. More details can be found
here.
I tried it with a new Windows install in a VM, and then it works. So, I assume that some hidden setting in my main machine is incorrect. Reinstalling because of this is not an option.
What might cause this strange behavior?
With best regards,
Patrick

Regards, Patrick

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3c85337b-4d52-4505-aaca-279392711a6b/problem-when-moving-or-renaming-files-on-samba-shares?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi folks Newbie here During the first auto backup attempt I forgot to plug the external HD into my new HP Pavillian running Deleting drive and up backup ended that files folder wrong in Vista Home Premium bit OS and so the back up of course failed So I figured I'd try a manual back up however instead of selecting the external HD option was not available cause the drive was not plugged in I selected Drive E where I store my documents The backup begn but once I realized what was happening I stopped it Well it left Deleting backup files that ended up in wrong folder and drive items in in the E Drive where I store my files system volume information folder MediaIn bin file my compuer name and -PC folder I finally came to my senses and plugged in the external and backed to it and noticed the backup has these files as well I already deleted above -- is Deleting backup files that ended up in wrong folder and drive there a reason why Deleting backup files that ended up in wrong folder and drive I should not delete the other two items from E Drive since they show up on the L Drive when the external HD is plugged in Sorry if this is a stupid question but I've gone from a machine running win se to Vista home premium bit and I'm scared to death of it Thanx -frizz

A:Deleting backup files that ended up in wrong folder and drive

Hi frizzie,

Welcome to Vista Forums.

Since you will not be keeping those backups on the E: drive, it will be safe to delete the other two file placed on your E: drive. They just belong to that one backup that you canceled.

Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/134113-deleting-backup-files-ended-up-wrong-folder-drive.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I recently did a system restore on a Gateway desktop running XP. The system did a full backup of all the files on the system. My problem is now that I have the system running correctly, I am unable to delete the RESOURCE folder within the Documents&Settings/AllUser/ApplicationData/Microsoft/WIndowsDEfender/Scans/History/Results/Resource.

So I guess my question is, how can I delete the Windows Defender folder completely? I have tried using CCleaner and safe mode to delete this folder. The reason I want to get rid of this is that when I run a superantispyware scan it gets to this folder and takes forever due to the large amount of files that are there.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

A:Solved: Need help deleting backup files folder..WINDOWS DEFENDER?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-need-help-deleting-backup-files-folder-windows-defender.836491/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hey all I have recently created a new user account on my Windows Vista Home Premium bit OS because I had problems with my CPU Usage firing up to Renaming and User Accounts Deleting Anyways I made this new account and kept some of the files from my old account My problem is that the old account is still showing up in the Computer gt OS C gt Deleting and Renaming User Accounts Users folder and when I try to delete it it says I need permission I tried the quot Taking Ownership quot tutorial and that didn't help because it still said I needed permission to delete it I also tried to go to Properties gt Security and give myself the only admin on my computer complete rights to delete rename etc No such luck there either So I guess my two questions are Can I delete my old user account files and how Can I rename this new account so that it doesn't show up as OldName in the file directory Thanks for all your help Kev

A:Deleting and Renaming User Accounts

Hello Kev, and welcome to Vista Forums.

Yes, once you delete the old user account from User Accounts, you can safely delete it from C:\Users\(user name).

User Account - Delete

The only way to rename the C:\Users\(user name) folder is to create a new user account with a different name than the old one. If you want the same name as the old one, then it will require to create one dummy one to be able to work in, delete the old one, create another new one with the name you wanted, then delete the dummy one.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/206176-deleting-renaming-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi!

I have an *.avi file and some mp3s that I need to delete, but I cant since Win XP keeps giving the message: "Cannot delete file or folder: it is in use by another person or program".

I have shut down, rebooted, shut all apz using the file, but I cant delete the file.

I saw a 'solved' thread talking about exactly the same problem as mine on this site, but it became solved and wasn't explanatory except that the values of the file's name in registry were required to be deleted and the computer should be rebooted to delete the files.

MY question is: where in registry do I find the name and value of the file? The data is stored on C:/temp and it's an avi file.

Thanks!!
Coolstone

Relevancy 61.49%

OK I've gotten so frustrated by this that I'm now sufficiently motivated to post on the forum and include screenshots in the hopes of finding a solution Basically the problem is that when I try to rename or delete folders I tend to get the AGAIN renaming/deleting CANCEL) Difficulty (TRY or folders following error EVEN WHEN NOT IN USE I will also get the error when trying to move folders around with Drag Drop or using Keyboard Shortcuts CTRL X CTRL V SOMETIMES I have to cancel and try again later Sometimes I can just wait like one minute before clicking Try Again and it will work And the Difficulty renaming/deleting folders (TRY AGAIN or CANCEL) rest of the time I think I just give up until a restart The fact I can sometimes just wait a minute before clicking Try Again and it will work makes me wonder if my Difficulty renaming/deleting folders (TRY AGAIN or CANCEL) hard drive has just become extremely slow These are not folders quot in use quot as thats the first thing I check everytime to make sure all the files in them are closed I hope someone can provide a solution to this

A:Difficulty renaming/deleting folders (TRY AGAIN or CANCEL)

I'm wondering if an antivirus program has set itself a little too assertive -- scanning each and every file over and over?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/64253-difficulty-renaming-deleting-folders-try-again-cancel.html
Relevancy 61.06%

hello ladies and gents, i remember receving help from this forum before and it was great help. right now im in a jam with this and i hope you pros can get me out of it.

ok so this is how it goes, it all started yesterday when my computer was sounding funny for example the fan was goin up and down in sound if you know what i mean.

but today now its started when im deleting files or renaming them the explorer freezes and i need to open task manager to reboot the explorer everytime.

its strange that this has happened and ive tried lots of things and nothing has worked. so can anyone help me out. much appreciated

A:Windows Explorer Freezing When Deleting And Renaming A File

Hi -

Try the file deletions and renames in SAFEMODE.

Is there anything special about these files - what are some of the names of them and what folders are they located in?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-explorer-freezing-when-deleting-and-renaming-a-file-343977.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi,

Virtual machine OS is Windows XP Pro. Vmware version is 6.
Real shared folder is on another PC with XP Pro.
PROBLEM DEFINITION - EXAMPLE:
I create a New Folder from virtual machines Windows explorer in a real shared folder on another PC. Then wish to rename it to all lowercase like new folder.
It DOESNT WORK!

But when I rename New Folder to a different name like New Folder1 and then rename to new folder (all lowercase), IT WORKS!

This problem is important because I create case sensitive scripts and must save on a file server.

Have you got any useful SOLUTION for this problem?

Thanks in advance.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vmware-renaming-file-or-folder-in-a-share-from-vmware-character-case-problem.661668/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi all First of all new here and I apologize if this is folder renaming settings after view Keep folder not the correct environment for my question As the title suggests my problem is this every time I rename a folder Vista changes the folder view settings Keep folder view settings after renaming folder in that folder back to the default for Keep folder view settings after renaming folder that specific folder I have Keep folder view settings after renaming folder gone through the tutorials in this forum about making Vista always remember the current folder settings That is not my issue An example of what I mean Let us say I have a folder named quot Music quot and the folder view settings are set to 'Music Details' Fine But let us now say that I also want to show the bit rates and or the length of the songs 'Music Details' does not have this by default so I right-click and at the bar tab menu and choose to show them So far so good and my settings are always there However if I change the folder name to something else the view settings revert back to the original 'Music Details' Is there a way of stopping this from happening I often change folder names and or move them around and it is annoying to always have to add remove what I want from the view settings Thanks

A:Keep folder view settings after renaming folder

Hello Quantum, and welcome to Vista Forums.

The Disable Automatic Folder Type Discovery for Templates section in METHOD TWO of the tutorial below should may be able to stop this for you, but it does involve resetting all folder view settings. You have to set the folder views to how you want them afterwards.

Windows Explorer Folder View settings

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/261128-keep-folder-view-settings-after-renaming-folder.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello everyone I've been directed here from the Windows XP Home and Professional The Recycle Problem In Bin A With Folder Deleting section after quite a struggle with a stubborn problem Topic referenced is here http www bleepingcomputer com forums t problem-with-deleting-a-folder-in-the-recycle-bin OBI have a folder named Poop due to the troubles it's been giving me that when sent to the recycle bin refuses to be permanently deleted I get the message Cannot delete file When I right-click the Poop folder the properties say that it contains folders and has a size of kb Yet when I open Problem With Deleting A Folder In The Recycle Bin it there is visibly another folder entitled D B CA D F D OST W The name seems to go on and on with the random letters and numbers When I right-click this bizarre folder I get only the options of Open Explore Search Send to It seems I can't even view the properties I tried opening it but nothing happens I suspect the problem is with the D B CA D F D folder I have tried deleting renaming moving it to no avail it just remains there inside Poop The Poop folder on the other hand can be sent to the recycle bin it just couldn't be emptied from there Also when I right-click Poop it gives the normal options The kind people at Windows XP Home and Professional suggested Ccleaner Unlocker Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and KillBox Unfortunately none of them could rid Poop nor D B CA D F D OST W I'm not sure if the two folders are causing harm or not One thing I noticed though is that recently when I turn on my computer the desktop screen would be in really low resolution and the desktop icons and the mouse pointer would be magnified I usually turn the computer off and restart Sometimes it'd take up to five tries to get it to load normally I don't know if this is a separate problem or if it stems from the mysterious undeletable folders Though I don't think they're related as I had noticed the Poop folder's presence a while back Any help at all is greatly appreciated Also I am very bad with computers computer language and would like to ask for your patience Please and thank you Below is my DDS txtDDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by HP Administrator at on Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT - AV Norton Internet Security On-access scanning enabled Outdated E A - - -B - C C F FW Norton Internet Security disabled C A C -F F- AC -B -A E C F Running Processes C WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunchsvchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcssvchost exesvchost exec Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccProxy exec Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEc Program Files Norton Internet Security ISSVC exec Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exesvchost exeC WINDOWS eHome ehRecvr exeC WINDOWS eHome ehSched exeC Program Files Java jre bin jqs exeC Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exeC Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXEc Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exeC WINDOWS system svchost exe -k imgsvcc Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared Security Center SymWSC exeC WINDOWS system dllhost exeC WINDOWS ehome ehtray exeC WINDOWS system igfxpers exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exeC WINDOWS eHome ehmsas exeC Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exeC HP KBD KBD EXEC Program Files QuickTime qttask exeC WINDOWS sm hlpr exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC Documents and Settings HP Administrator Desktop Unlocker UnlockerAssistant exeC WINDOWS System svchost exe -k HTTPFilterC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exeC Program Files Windows Live Messenger MsnMsgr ExeC Program Files Webroot Spy Sweeper SpySweeperUI exeC Program Files Messenger msmsgs exeC Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exeC Program Files Updates from HP Program Updates from HP exec Program Files HP ... Read more

A:Problem With Deleting A Folder In The Recycle Bin

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERE

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/232493/problem-with-deleting-a-folder-in-the-recycle-bin/
Relevancy 59.77%

I have a folder that I am unable to delete. When I try I get the following message: Cannot delete titanic:Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name. I called Dell and Microsoft and they were unable to provide assistance. Is there anyone who can help with this problem? Thanks, Orion

A:Problem deleting a folder on my desktop.

Have you restarted the computer, then tried to delete it?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-deleting-a-folder-on-my-desktop-349694.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello

There are some folders in my hard drive which neither can be accessed nor can be delete. their property shows that they are empty. but on scanning them through anti virus scanner shows some files in that. can you tell how to delete such folders or files from hard drive. I tried to delete it by command prompt and recovery console but I got failure each time. please tell me any method to delete them.

A:problem on deleting some empty folder

my system also not showing hidden files and folders plz help me

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-on-deleting-some-empty-folder-235563.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello I have a folder that when In A Bin. Deleting Problem Recycle Folder The With sent to the recycle bin refuses to be permanently deleted I get the message quot Cannot delete file Problem With Deleting A Folder In The Recycle Bin. quot I tried restoring and renaming the folder but it still would not be emptied from the recycle bin When I right-click the folder the properties say that it quot contains quot folders quot and has a size of kb Yet when I open the folder there is visibly another folder entitled quot D B CA D F D OST W quot The name seems to go on and on with the random letters and numbers When I right-click this bizarre folder I get the options quot Open Explore Search Send to quot It seems I can t even view the properties I tried opening it but nothing happens I have had a virus infection on my computer before and it was cleared due to the kind folks here I m not sure if this folder might have resulted from the virus I noticed the problem months ago but was too lazy to do anything about it since it doesn t seem to be harmful Thank you for taking the time to read this post I would greatly appreciate any help Also I m not very good with computers and so would like to ask for your patience

A:Problem With Deleting A Folder In The Recycle Bin.

Boot into safe mode, and try to delete the folder.How to boot into safe mode:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/221437/problem-with-deleting-a-folder-in-the-recycle-bin/
Relevancy 59.34%

I am running into an issue with users renaming files on a shared drive When the users try to rename they get the error quot A file name can't contain any of the following characters lt gt quot However neither the new or old filename contains any of these characters or any other invalid characters as far as I can determine just alphanumeric characters and spaces When they try to rename it again it works without an issue I have found reports filename in invalid characters shared Error error, renaming but no - folder invalid files of this error being generated if the file path is too long but all users are accessing this from a shared drive and even if the share name is taken into account the file path and name are easily under characters I have users on different systems reporting this Error renaming files in shared folder - invalid filename error, but no invalid characters issue so I don't think it is user error The workstations are running Windows Pro SP The server is Windows Server R Enterprise Service Pack The users are located at a remote site and accessing the share over a site to site VPN There are XP workstations at the site as well that do not appear to be having the issue Any help suggestions or guidance is greatly appreciated

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/267ba25d-5a94-4752-8a54-3eb58d731805/error-renaming-files-in-shared-folder-invalid-filename-error-but-no-invalid-characters?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi, I recently got infected with some virus/trojans and I think I got it out since bitdefender no longer finds anything. The problem is that now I cannot get into safe mode. It starts to list all the drivers but then it restarts my computer. Also during the virus infection I tried installing avast antivirus and apparently it wasnt successfull because it doesnt open, but it still shows up in my processes invisible with an alternative task manager. Ive tried so many different ways of trying to delete the folder but nothing works, it says Access denied or Write protected. I tried using a program called "unlocker" but that didnt work either. Any help would be greatly appreciated cuz it is really annoying me.

A:Safe mode and problem deleting a folder

Hi,First let's take a look. Maybe there is still active malware on your computer.Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.alternate download link 1alternate download link 2Make sure you are connected to the Internet.Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:Update Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareLaunch Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareThen click Finish.MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.On the Scanner tab:Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.Then click on the Scan button.If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button. The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/199392/safe-mode-and-problem-deleting-a-folder/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi I recently got infected with some virus trojans and I think I got it out since bitdefender no longer finds anything The problem is that now I cannot get into safe mode It starts to list all the drivers but then it restarts my computer Also during the virus infection I tried installing avast antivirus and apparently it wasnt successfull because it doesnt open but it still shows up in my processes invisible with an alternative task manager Ive tried so many different ways of trying to delete the folder but nothing works it says Access denied or Write protected I tried using a program called unlocker but that didnt a deleting and mode problem folder Safe work either Any help would be greatly appreciated cuz it is really annoying me PS I had posted this on the Am I infected What do I do section of the forums and the guy helping me told me he thinks its no longer virus related and I should try this section Link to topic was http www bleepingcomputer com forums Safe mode and problem deleting a folder t safe-mode-and-problem-deleting-a-folder

A:Safe mode and problem deleting a folder

<<...shows up in my processes invisible with an alternative task manager..>>Can you explain this further? I find it hard to believe that a process is running...and is not reflected in Task Manager.Re the safe mode thing, worth a look: http://blog.didierstevens.com/2007/02/19/r...ith-a-reg-file/Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/200423/safe-mode-and-problem-deleting-a-folder/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi there. I have an empty folder titled <Computer & Mobile Phone>. I'd like to delete this folder but, so far at least, am unable to do so. When I delete it the folder disappears but then reappears next time I reboot my computer. I've even renamed the folder & pressed delete but, alas, with the same result.
Can anyone suggest how I might get rid of this pesky critter?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/390459-problem-deleting-folder-windows-explorer.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I reinstalled windows on my laptop and for some reason it did not delete the previous my documents folder in the documents and settings from the last install. So, there is about 20gig of data in there I want to delete but it says access is denied. I have tried everything I can think of short of a fresh format, which I want to reserve for the absolute final resort. I have tried the unlocker program, I have tried a program that "deletes" on reboot, I have tried closing explorer and deleting it from the command prompt, and I have tried changing the owner of the folder. None of these steps work. Any suggestions?

A:Problem deleting folder from previous windows install

Tried these in Safemode

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-deleting-folder-from-previous-windows-install.726308/
Relevancy 57.19%

hi every time i try to rename a folder a message quot folder does not exist quot comes up i posted the same problem a few months back i tried the different methods i was directed to follow through this website but i have failed in doing so what actually intrigues me is as to how come i have so many groups in my pc this is how need folder renaming help i came to know i right clicked new folder went to properties then security where i have three groups named system administrator and third has my name gulalai all of these have full permissions i dont know if its ok to have groups secondly whats the need of having so many why cant i just run my laptop as administrator and last but not the least how can i sort out this problem of renaming my folders the specifications of my laptop are sony vaio need help renaming folder genuine Intel need help renaming folder reg cpu GHz MB bit operating system window edition window vista ultimate

A:need help renaming folder

I have the same amount of groups, that's normalwhy cant i just run my laptop as administrator..This is probably why you cannot do anything with the folderTry creating a new account with administrator privileges

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/217330/need-help-renaming-folder/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi,

I'm in need of some help. I'm trying to rename my folder 'catroot2' in System32 because according to an email from microsoft, this is how I can fix my SP1 Issue.

Now, it's not letting me rename it, it's saying I need to confirm the operation, and when I do, it says "You need permission to perform this operation".

Now I own the computer & have full rights to everything, why isn't it renaming?

Thanks.

A:Renaming folder

Hi Anscombe. . .

Welcome to the Tech Support Forum - Vista.

The "TrustedInstaller" is the owner of record for much of the Windows folder. You do not have "permission" by him/her to edit any files. You can "take ownership" of the Windows folder and accomplish what you wish.

You need to first "take ownership" file in question and set the appropriate file permissions for it alone. This can be accomplished tediously via a series of screens through Vista or in the following manner:

Bring up an Elevated command prompt via:
START | type cmd into the start search box | right-click on cmd (cmd.exe) | select "Run as Administrator" | next to the prompt type the following exactly as it appears in the command:

takeown /f c:\windows\system32\catroot2

icacls c:\windows\system32\catroot2

Now try to rename the file.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/renaming-folder-246612.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Guys I Having Great Problem While Renaming Any Folder ...

Whether {Renaming} a NEW - FOLDER or {Renaming } an Existing Folder

plz help me to sort out this problem

below is the screen-shot of what actually the error is coming :

A:Problems While Renaming Any Folder

Hi Sandip,

Can you repost the image without the error message obscuring the folder path? It may give us a clue as to what the problem is.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/201145-problems-while-renaming-any-folder.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hello and many thanks to anyone willing to help I appreciate it I have thousands of folders containing MP s all of which are named quot AlbumName xxxx quot where quot xxxx quot is the album s release year An epiphany later I m wanting to rename all of these folders to quot xxxx Renaming Batch Folder AlbumName quot so that they ll be sorted by release year I ve found--and used--many utilities for batch renaming files and folders but I can t find any that will allow me to MOVE a specific string of characters in this case the last characters of every folder name to a different position in the folder name in this case to the first characters of every folder name I d reckon that it s possible to Batch Folder Renaming write a batch file for this but my computer skills aren t quite that advanced Does anybody know of an preferably freeware application that would let me move the last characters of Batch Folder Renaming a batch of folder names to the first characters in the same folder names Thanks again for any help

A:Batch Folder Renaming

Hello LouieChuckyMerry.Batch files are really tiresome when it comes to string handling. Usually serious batch programs will need a Stream Editor. I think this particular job can be done, however.Before I can help you I'll need some clarifications. Are all the folders named "AlbumName{xxxx}" located directly under one folder, as in the example below where they would be all under the "Music" folder?c:\Music\AlbumA{2004}c:\Music\AlbumB{2004}c:\Music\AlbumD{2009}c:\Music\AlbumY{1999}Or is it another case where the folders you want to rename are under different subfolders like such:c:\Music\Clasical\AlbumA{2004}c:\Music\Clasical\AlbumB{2004}c:\Music\Rock\AlbumD{2009}c:\Music\Rock\AlbumY{1999}Also please tell me what version of Windows you are running.With Regards,The Panda

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/315686/batch-folder-renaming/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hello
I have just installed a fresh copy of Windows Vista on to my machine.
Its been working perfectly fine for a few days.
Ive made a new folder on my desktop for the first time (the first time ive needed to)
When i try to rename it from 'New Folder' i get an error saying 'The file or folder does not exist'
Im completely confused.
Please can anyone help me?

Many thanks.
Tom Bullock.

Relevancy 56.76%

How do I rename the Music Folder? I want to rename it and the subfolder is similar but named different.

A:Renaming Music Folder

I don't think you can. As far as I know, if you rename or delete it, it will be recreated.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/363894-renaming-music-folder.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi I recently reformatted MY laptop and finished. However, I want to change the admin's folder's(root?) name, how do I do that? I've renamed the admin's log in name though.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/renaming-the-root-folder-449920.html
Relevancy 56.76%

To whom it may concern I would be grateful if someone may be able to assist me I renamed my Folder's Renaming Object the of Name. quot My Pictures quot folder to a different name and then also Renaming of the Folder's Object Name. renamed it in the registry under the following key HKEY Current User Software Microsoft Windows Current Version Explorer User Shell Folders I then renamed it back to quot My Pictures quot after it did not bring the desired change hoped for however in the registry I had made an error in renaming where I renamed the Value Data key to quot My Picturs quot without the quot e quot This however has all now been rectified however if I go to Properties of the now My Pictures folder I see that the Object Name is still quot My Picturs quot under the Security or Sharing tab Also I do not see My Pictures Folder reflected if I wanted to add it to the library however I can navigate to it within Windows Explorer My question is how can I now edit the Object Name of which I have attached a copy to see what I am talking about Searching the registry for quot My Picturs quot has brought up no results Your help and assistance to a silly tired error of mine would be apreciated With thanks Dave Peter

A:Renaming of the Folder's Object Name.

Hello Dave,

In addition to the registry location in your post, double check the location below to see if it also has the correct folder name. You may need to restart the computer afterwards.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

(click on image to see larger version)

If that still does not help, then would recommend to create yourself a new administrators account to use instead. Afterwards, copy any shortcuts or files you want to the new account, and when ready, delete the old account.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/275141-renaming-folders-object-name.html
Relevancy 56.76%

In documents and settings, I have two folders... All Users and my folder.

It's in a name that I do not want. And, stupidly because windows is eugh, I cannot just change the name of the user account and it change that accordingly.

Is there a way to change it...?

A:Renaming Your System Folder

Hi .Create a new user account...move the settings from Old to New...delete Old.http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=811151Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/170483/renaming-your-system-folder/
Relevancy 56.76%

I wanted to rename my user profile folder in Windows 7. To do this, I created another admin account. Under the new admin account, I went to the user folder and was able to rename it. Now, the account that the user profile was tied to has lost all of its settings. Also, when I log onto the old user account, it is now saying it is a temporary profile..I do now know how just renaming the folder would have done this. Do I need to now just use the new admin account and transfer all the files and folders over to it from the old account?

Relevancy 56.76%

Greetings Ten Forums I have Renaming This a in folder user PC recently encountered another problem regarding the user folders Pictures Videos Music Documents Downloads etc in This PC though this time it's a problem that occurred when I first installed Windows but decided to ignore it I was setting different locations to these folders and might have somehow messed up that it ended up renaming my Pictures folder to Videos It's most likely because I accepted Renaming a user folder in This PC the quot Move items to the new folder quot Renaming a user folder in This PC option when I was setting the new location without even reading it properly I later decided to simply get rid of these folders by using your awesome registry editor in this thread This PC 'Folders' - Add or Remove in Windows - Windows Forums These folders sadly returned with the recent updates and I'm sure they will keep on returning so I just want to use them and take full advantage of the start menu's short cuts which die off when I remove these folders The Music folder is dead there even though it works fine in the folder itself and I have no idea why When I try to restore these folders I get this error even when I have everything closed and fresh off a restart Is there any way I could rename the Videos folder and get things totally restored back to normal Would highly appreciate the help and I apologize if I wasn't conclusive enough to a rather hopefully simple issue

A:Renaming a user folder in This PC

This is why you always back up the registry when doing any changes, and export keys before you delete them. Even create a System Restore Point if you are shaky about hackentehregg. So assuming you did not do any of this, you will have to follow that tutorial in reverse, i.e. recreate those keys and merge them back into the Reg.

From that tutorial page download the .reg file for the folder that is causing you trouble. For this example, lets use Music folder file, use whichever version you need 32 or 64. Use your favorite text editor. (NPP)

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1CF1260C-4DD0-4ebb-811F-33C572699FDE}]
"System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{3dfdf296-dbec-4fb4-81d1-6a3438bcf4de}]
"System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree"=dword:00000000

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{3dfdf296-dbec-4fb4-81d1-6a3438bcf4de}]
change that to
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1CF1260C-4DD0-4ebb-811F-33C572699FDE}]
"System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{3dfdf296-dbec-4fb4-81d1-6a3438bcf4de}]
"System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{3dfdf296-dbec-4fb4-81d1-6a3438bcf4de}]

save and merge (right click if you need to)

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/15457-renaming-user-folder-pc.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I purchased a computer for my father, and the store where I purchased it used his last name for the user account name. My dad died just a few days later. I want to rename the folder in which pictures, documents, etc. are saved. How can I do this? I haven't figured out the trick.

Thank you.

A:Help renaming user folder

Hello Sue, and welcome to Seven Forums.

I'm so sorry to hear about your father's passing.

You will not be able to change the name of the actual C:\Users\(user-name) user profile folder itself.

The only One way would be to create a new administrator account with the name you like, then copy all of the contents of the old user account's C:\Users\(user-name) folders (including hidden AppData folder) into the corresponding new account's C:\Users\(user-name) folder. After everything checks out ok, you can delete the old user account while logged in the new user account.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

UPDATE:
Please see my new post below.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/147439-help-renaming-user-folder.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Dear All Just bought a new PC Runs W Home Premium -Bit I'm new to W but have used previous Windows versions for years and years but not Vista And I've never seen this happen with any other operating system Out of the box W sets up this quot My Documents quot amp quot Public Documents quot system of folders and the same for Strange folder renaming pictures music and videos And that's great for separating Strange folder renaming each user's documents and providing common folders which all users can see But shortly after setting my new PC up installed a printer amp some other hardware bits installed Office amp copied my document files across from the old PC Windows suddenly renamed the quot My quot amp quot Public quot versions of the documents music amp videos folders Looking at it all via my own account I'm admin by the way I had folders called quot Documents quot amp quot Documents quot instead of quot My Documents quot and quot Public Documents quot and the same for music amp videos But it kindly left me with quot My Pictures quot and quot Public Pictures quot folders This has actually happened on two machines now It happened on the original new PC But the store exchanged it with an identical new machine But the same thing has happened Has anyone seen this before It worries me Cheers Ollie

A:Strange folder renaming

Quote: Originally Posted by hhambly

<SNIP>

But it kindly left me with "My Pictures" and "Public Pictures" folders. This has actually happened on two machines now. It happened on the original new PC. But the store exchanged it with an identical new machine. But the same thing has happened. Has anyone seen this before? It worries me. Cheers, Ollie.

If you copy default folders from other installations then this can cause problems. Don't copy the folders, copy the files they contain to where you want them.

Regards....Mike Connor

Regards

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/153387-strange-folder-renaming.html
Relevancy 56.76%

My hardrive crashed some time ago. Vista backed up everything on the fresh install into "C:\BACKUP."
I have deleted many subfolders, but it will not let me delete certain subfolders in the backup. I am the administrator and I unchecked 'read-only' attribute for each folder/subfolder I want to delete. It seems Vista wants the old administrator privilege to delete a certain folder/subfolder.

So what is next step?

A:Difficult problem (tricky) about deleting Vista backup folder on fresh reinstall.

Try This

1. Right click on folder (Context menu appears.)
2. Select "Properties" ("[Folder Name] Properties" dialog appears.)
3. Click the "Security" tab.
4. Click "Advanced" button (Advanced Security Settings for [Folder Name] appears.)
5. Click "Owner" tab.
6. Click "Edit" button.
7. Click new owner's name in "Change owner to" box.
8. Click box to check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects".
9. Click "Apply" button. ("Changing ownership of..." progress message appears.)
10. Click "Yes" to acknowledge "Windows Security" warning.
11. Click OK to close topmost "Advanced Security Settings" dialog.
12. Click "Permissions" tab (first tab) on current "Advanced Security Settings" dialog.
13. Click "Edit" button.
14. Click to select the Administrator in the "Permission Entries" box.
15. NOTE: If "Administrator" appears more than once, select the one that has "Subfolders and files only" in the "Apply To" column.
16. Click Edit button. ("Permission Entry for [Folder Name]" dialog appears.)
17. Click to check "Apply these permissions to objects..." option.
18. Click to check ALL the boxes in the "Allow" column.
19. Click "OK" (Dialog box closes, return to "Advance Security Settings" dialog.)
20. Click to check "Include inheritable permissions..." option.
21. Click to check "Replace all existing inheritable permissions..." option.
22. Click "Apply" button. ("Windows Security" confirmation dialog appears.)
23. Click "Yes" to confirm that you wish to continue.
24. Watch progress indicator on the "Windows Security: Setting security information..." dialog.
25. When all security information has been applied, the progress indicator dialog will close automatically.
26. You are now at the "Advanced Security Settings for [Folder Name]" dialog box... the "Permissions" tab should be visible.
27. Click "OK" and the dialog box closes, revealing the previous dialog box.
28. Click "OK" and the dialog box closes, revealing the "Properties" dialog box.
29. Click "OK" and the "Properties" dialog box closes.
30. Return to Windows Explorer and delete the folder.

Good Luck!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/difficult-problem-tricky-about-deleting-vista-backup-folder-on-fresh-reinstall.625396/
Relevancy 56.33%

After downloading a file ( for instance a film or music ) from the internet, when I try to delete it I get the message that this is a system file and if I delete it, my computer may not work properly.Help, please!

A:Problem with deleting files

If you are sure the file is NOT what the message says it is, use "Unlocker" to accomplish the delete.

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

{redoak}

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-with-deleting-files-253281.html
Relevancy 56.33%

When I open a folder and select several files to delete (let's say 3 PDFs, 2 XLS and a DWG) then click Delete on one of them, a dialog box opens that says opening a large number of files may take a long time.

If I click cancel, they aren't deleted. If I click OK (the other choice I am given) then each of the files is opened all at once. When I close them, then they are deleted.

This behavior occurs with my XP Pro SP3 computer when deleting files from the local HD and also with mapped network drives. It doesn't happen everytime I delete files, it is sort of unpredictable.

A:Problem deleting files

does it happen when you hit the delete key as well?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-deleting-files.933977/
Relevancy 56.33%

ok i recently installed a program to watch a Problem deleting files video by the name of ActiveX after i download and installled it it came up to be spyware and a trojan now i have avast antivirus and i deleted it but i think that alert was fake now about weeks ago i found a document in my documents that looks like this var tmrPop var tmrShow var tMnu - var tItm - var gzIndex Array showing highlighted menu items var litNow new Array var blnShown false function HideOneEle objEle top left width height objArr Cnt doHide var X Y if doHide null doHide true Y FindY objEle if top height gt Y amp amp Y objEle offsetHeight gt top X FindX objEle if left width gt X amp amp X objEle offsetWidth gt left if doHide Problem deleting files objEle style visibility hidden else objEle style visibility visible objArr Cnt objEle return Cnt function HideDocElements top left width height doc objArr Cnt doHide var i j var objForm var objEle if doHide null doHide true for i i lt doc forms length i objForm doc forms i for j j lt objForm length j objEle objForm elements j switch objEle type case quot select-one quot case quot select-multiple quot break default if ExpVer gt continue break if objEle style visibility indexOf hidden - amp amp doHide Cnt HideOneEle objEle top left width height objArr Cnt doHide else if doHide Cnt HideOneEle objEle top left width height objArr Cnt doHide return Cnt function HideFrameElements top left width height Problem deleting files objArr Cnt doc var k var ScrollTop if HideInFrames for k Problem deleting files k lt HideInFrames length k var Frame doc getElementById HideInFrames k if Frame var framedoc Frame contentWindow document var docY FindY Frame if framedoc ScrollTop framedoc body scrollTop if ScrollTop ScrollTop HideDocElements top - docY ScrollTop left width height framedoc objArr Cnt if framedoc frames length gt HideFrameElements top - docY left width height objArr Cnt framedoc return Cnt function HideElements top left width height var i j k var objForm var X Y var objArr new Array var Cnt var objEle if document all HideFrameElements top left width height objArr Cnt document Cnt HideDocElements top left width height document objArr Cnt if document applets for j j objEle top if NS Move objEle top top height else document layers idMainLayer layers visibility hidden else Netscape Hide Java Applets and ActiveX Controls Look for Java Applets var arrTmp document getElementsByTagName quot quot for j j lt arrTmp length j if arrTmp j type if arrTmp j type indexOf java-applet gt HideOneEle arrTmp j top left width height objArr Cnt return objArr function popOver Mnu Itm what IgnoreTmr var aTmp new Array menu length var i IgnoreTmr IgnoreTmr null false IgnoreTmr menu Mnu Itm what what if tmrPop clearTimeout tmrPop tmrPop null Highlight the new menu litNow Mnu Itm changeCol litNow true Mnu true false aTmp Mnu for i i lt menu Mnu length i Unhighlight any other menus if i Itm aTmp Mnu i changeCol aTmp false Mnu true false tMnu Mnu tItm Itm if tmrShow clearTimeout tmrShow if overTimer amp amp overTimer gt amp amp IgnoreTmr tmrShow setTimeout ShowMnu Mnu Itm overTimer else if overTimer gt IgnoreTmr blnShown ShowMnu Mnu Itm function ShowMnu Mnu Itm var objMnu var ScWdth isExp document body clientWidth innerWidth var ScHght isExp document body clientHeight innerHeight var intTemp var thisX var thisY if tMnu Mnu tItm Itm return var SubMnu menu Mnu Itm SubMnu if menu SubMnu IsDrawn writeMenus SubMnu hideAllBut Mnu true if menu Mnu Itm disabled litNow getTree Mnu Itm changeCol litNow true Mnu true false blnShown true if SubMnu gt thisX parseInt menu Mnu ref left parseInt menu Mnu Itm ok thats it for this document now there are some words in this document that say quot Netscape Hide Java APplets and ActiveX controls quot now i dont know where the hell this came from and im kinda pissed at it and also i found a file in C WIndows Downloaded Program Files and there was alot of activex based things in there now i deleted them all by deleting... Read more

Yeah, you should of let it remove the registry keys. You should also use Super Antispyware. It removes Smitfraud malware and the malware that often accompanies it. Install Super Antispyware free. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds. http://www.superantispyware.com/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/116683/problem-deleting-files/
Relevancy 56.33%

Had problems with Spyware Detector and Max Secure so I uninstalled both. But now the bugaboo SDEarly Delete can't be located, now occur.

Found several .dll files that can't be deleted. I tried SPYBOT and it turned my hd into shambles. Good thing everything was backed up prior to running SPYBOT.

I believe the SDEarly delete problem is located in one of the DLL's that can't be deleted. Can't see anything in the recycle folder either. Researching the Internet turned up nothing effective. I think that Spyware Detector AND Spybot are pure garbage and criminal. Has anyone had success in deleting those files effectively and permanently?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-deleting-dll-files.884305/
Relevancy 56.33%

Every time I try and delete a file in My Documents it makes another copy. I have had this computer for years and this is the first time this has happened. Virus scan finds nothing. Does anyone know why this is happeneing and how to stop it?

hello & welcome to TSF ,

follow this link

http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...sting-log.html

this is the affect of some maleware

please follow all directions

stand strong for the techs are busy and it may take a bit for them to read your logs

they are the pro's at reading those logs and the removal if those types of infections

Mike

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-deleting-files-207327.html
Relevancy 56.33%

hello! everyone i am facing a very trciky problem....there are some flv video files which i downladed either from net or through lan...i am not able to delete these files....i am using kaspersky internet security 2011....i scanned the files but no threats have been exposed....i even used fileshredder softwares to delete but simply the program does not respond....after some 2 or 3 attempts windows explorer stops working....when my computer is opened its not showing any contents and the computer is hanging up....but after restarting the computer seems to be working propery again until and unless i try to open the folder in which that flv file exisits....please give me your advices...iam getting pretty hung by constantly restarting the system....

A:problem of deleting files

Can you rename that folder?

If so, do that then try and delete the folder.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/problem-of-deleting-files-560338.html
Relevancy 56.33%

This is a very small problem, yet still slightly annoying.
When I try to delete any type file, on the "Are you sure you want to move this file to recycle bin box, there is a bad icon in the corner.

I circled it in these screenshots.

Not that big of a deal, but any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

A:Problem with deleting files

Hello Ianaf,

Do you have an issue with the Recycle Bin icon on your desktop as well?

You might see if restoring the default icon of both the "Empty" and "Full" Recycle Bin icons using the tutorial below may be able to help. If not, try changing the icons to something else temporarily, then restoring the default icons.

Desktop Icons - Change or Restore Default Icon

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/243320-problem-deleting-files.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi,

Just joined and this is my first problem

After a system crash, computer restarted with manufacturers recovery disc OK.

Now if i send a file etc to the recycle bin, a message window opens telling me it it doing the recycling but it just seems to hang. If i then use task manager to stop the process, it records an error for Windows Explorer and then restarts explorer. The file is now in the recycle bin.

If i now open the recycle bin to empty the bin the same process occurs. Again when i have caused Windows Explorer to restart the Recycle bin is empty.

I have tried the deletion of the recycle bin - to have Vista create a new one, which it does but this does not solve the problem i have.

Any help would be most grateful.

Jalfrezi-jed.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/problem-deleting-files-345342.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi
I have a strange problem, when I delet files form my desktop and my documents, after restarting computer they are still there. I tried to delete them in safe mode and if I restart computer in safe mode again, I can not see the file again. but when I restart normally the files are still there.

any help appreciated.
Best

A:problem with deleting files

Are you sure you are deleting the files and not only the shortcuts to the files?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/77857-problem-deleting-files.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi guys Just to get it out of the way I have already searched the forum can't Folder merged with Magic, problem open Partition files/folder. for help and the web and I already found a thread in here explaining what to do write techspot com in front of vb all windows t- -Access-denied-to-a-folder-merged-with-Partition-Magic html i can t post links because i m new here But I can t find the freakin security settings in Partition Magic I ve been looking through them all quot general view disk tools and so on quot but anything saying security I cannot find Is it me or my partition magic that retarded -S I have to admit it s a craked version but it didn t complain about anything when I typed the serial just - quot thanks for using partition magic and Folder problem with Partition Magic, can't open merged files/folder. so on quot When I try to access the merged folder this is what Folder problem with Partition Magic, can't open merged files/folder. comes up F g is not accessible Access denied The same thing a unformattede harddrive would say So is it still a security thing Or is it my partion magic that needs changing Please forgive my newbi-ways p s i m using XP home edition from dell if that helps nbsp

A:Folder problem with Partition Magic, can't open merged files/folder.

Hi
Although your issue may be easily resolved

TechSpot cannot help with cracked software - as the cracked software may be faulty itself.
Let alone the legal issues

Thread to be CLOSED

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/folder-problem-with-partition-magic-cant-open-merged-files-folder.98051/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hey all,

So I finally got around to recognizing the use of the Libraries feature in Windows 7, and can't believe I didn't realize it earlier.

Anyways, my question is, I have 2 folders in a Library with the same name (but point to different locations), basically they contain the same files but one resides in My Dropbox and one resides on my local HD. When I rename a folder in Libraries (to distinguish btwn the 2), it also renames that folder in the actual folder location. I was wondering if I could ONLY rename the folders in the Libraries view, without having it reflect on the actual folder name.

Also, I was wondering if any of you have used the Libraries feature as an Application Launcher (ie. creating different Libraries for Programs, Games, etc.), and would like to know how that works/worked out.

Thanks, love the forum.

A:Renaming folder ONLY in Libraries view

Quote: Originally Posted by Backdraft

Hey all,

So I finally got around to recognizing the use of the Libraries feature in Windows 7, and can't believe I didn't realize it earlier.

You'd be surprized how often I hear that!

Anyways, my question is, I have 2 folders in a Library with the same name (but point to different locations), basically they contain the same files but one resides in My Dropbox and one resides on my local HD. When I rename a folder in Libraries (to distinguish btwn the 2), it also renames that folder in the actual folder location. I was wondering if I could ONLY rename the folders in the Libraries view, without having it reflect on the actual folder name.

No.

If you rename a folder or file in a library, then it gets renamed in whichever drive it's on also. It's like this because a Library is only a consolidated view of various locations.

You only alternative would be to use different folder names, or leave it be as it is now.

Sorry...

Also, I was wondering if any of you have used the Libraries feature as an Application Launcher (ie. creating different Libraries for Programs, Games, etc.), and would like to know how that works/worked out.

Thanks, love the forum.

Interesting idea.

I suppose you could create a new library that points to a folder containing nothing but shortcuts to the relevant programs...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/129872-renaming-folder-only-libraries-view.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi,

I am currently running windows XP and this is question about renaming folders. I our business we do a lot of MS Source Safe "gets", do a "build" and then rename the folder for a tempory reference to the "build" that was created. Often it occurs that windows puts up the message:

"Error Renaming File or Folder

Cannot rename folder ... : Access is denied

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
and that the file is not currently in use"

Now if we close all the currently running application, this error goes away. But sometimes it doesn't.

1. Is there a way for forcing windows to rename?
2. Is there a way of telling what applications are currently using which files?
3. Is there clever way around this?

Thanks,
Rich

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/error-renaming-file-or-folder.356163/
Relevancy 55.9%

I'm having this problem with renaming folders with w explorer. I type, press enter, and then have to wait about 3 seconds. W10 64 bit home. Folders can have no contents, no difference.
Renaming with something like total commander works as expected.
Any clues? Thanks.

A:W10 - renaming folder takes 3 seconds

Takes 3 seconds for Microsoft to send the name you used back to the mothership.

https://hardforum.com/threads/w10-renaming-folder-takes-3-seconds.1898530/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello, I seem to remember seeing a tool called file 2 folder which puts a files into thier own folder and names the folder the same as the original file, i have had a search both here and google but have not managed to find it. Any nudge in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Also, I have a fair few folders all containing 1 file, the folders are named correctly but the files inside are not, is there an easy to make the files match the folder they are in?

Thnks in advance.

A:File and folder renaming/organising help please.

I'm familiar with a tool that turns .iso disc images into normal folders and vice versa.
Is this what you are talking about?
Sorry but what you are describing seems somewhat redundant to me.

Otherwise the best suggestion I have for you is to look at robocopy.
Utility Spotlight: Robocopy GUI

adds an insane number of little tools to the copy/paste/move scheme in windows.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/204335-file-folder-renaming-organising-help-please.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I am trying to write a batch file that will rename part of a folder name together with the sub folders... this is for creating a new project based on an empty folder tree structure.
example:
0000_Project_Name\0000_Correspondence\0000_Final
\0000_Presentation \0000_movies

I would like my batch to rename all instances of 0000 in any folder names + replace "Project_Name" with the real name at the moment of creation. (I am creating my New Project folder copied from a template blank structure)

first part works

: projectcreate
xcopy "C:\Documents and Settings\...\Desktop\Project_Template" D:\TESTING_BATCH\ /e/k

: projectcreateend

I have no clue how to go on from here...
Many Thanks,

Relevancy 55.9%

I compressed a .crx file. The file structure of the compressed file is

Compressed CRX
1Sub-Folder
2Sub-Folder
>2file
>3file
3Sub-Folder
>4file

I am attempting to rename 3Sub-Folder. Using 7-Zip, When I attempt to rename it I get the Error message “Not Implemented”. When I attempt to rename it using WinRAR I get the message that “the archive is corrupt. Lastly, when I open the .zip file using Windows Explorer it displays the Compressed CRX but I am unable to display 3Sub-Folder.

Any suggestions on renaming a sub-folder within a zipped file?

A:Renaming a sub-folder within a zipped file

Best I've found is simply to decompress the file into an empty Folder, make the change to necessary files then recompress them, maybe with a slightly different name.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/352466-renaming-sub-folder-within-zipped-file.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hey guys after I make a new folder or rename something or paste something in a window it doesnt show up til I refresh the window before it would show up with no problem. ANy suggestions?

A:new folder or renaming doesnt show up

yes i like to know when was the last time it was working ok and also what have change have you install any new program ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-folder-or-renaming-doesnt-show-up.378255/
Relevancy 55.9%
A:Renaming user account folder

If you really want to rename your user account you can try this - I did it and it works OK. May be easier to just make a new account called "Nick" and then sign on as "Nick" and delete "Acer" though.

If you want to risk it you can try this (it worked for me). To rename ACER to NICK

User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name - Windows 7 Help Forums

1. Backup
2. Create a new local admin user called TEMP
3. Sign on as TEMP
4. Rename user folder ACER to NICK
5. Replace all references to ACER with NICK in registry. I had about 50 if I remember correctly.
6. Edit configuration settings files in C:\Users\NICK\AppData\Local\Microsoft\SkyDrive\Settings\ and replace ACER with NICK where found.
7. Reboot and sign on as NICK
8. Delete all libraries from file explorer and then recreate default libraries (right click)
9. Delete TEMP user.
10. Delete and recreate all fingerprint data if you use it.

You may have to update default save locations etc depending what other software you have installed.

This worked for me - I renamed the generated id SALOU_000 on my machine with SALOUA and it works perfectly. Depending what software is installed you may have issues I did not though. If you aren't comfortable doing this you could just create a new user and delete the old one.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/30441-renaming-user-account-folder.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Problem deleting a Folder / Files
Hi and Happy Easter to all

I seem to be having a problem deleting a folder along with it files , every time I try , it says access denied , I have checked all the permissions etc that I can think of to be able to do it .

I have attached a couple of screen shots that may shed some light on the problem .

Running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit .

spike

A:Problem Deleting folders/files

Hi -

Happy Easter to you too!

Activate the Hidden Admin user account & go after the folders/files in question.

Enable/ Disable the Hidden Administrator User Account (Windows 8.1 / 8 / 7 / Vista) - Sysnative Forums

When finished, hide re-hide the Hidden Admin user account while logged on to your regular user account.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/problem-deleting-folders-files-826394.html
Relevancy 55.9%

running Windows XP

I downloaded several free/share ware programs that I decided I can't use but Vista won't let me delete the files. I did try the Windows "uninstall programs" first but the programs didn't show up.
I have gone in and turned off all security I can find cause Vista's popup warnings were driving me nuts plus was having major permissions problems. The popups stopped but I still can't delete certain types of files, namely applications. It will let me dl documents, etc. though.
Please help! I'm about ready to either smash my new laptop or wipe the drive and try to go back to XP. Gads, why can't MS leave well enough alone. I haven't found one new helpful thing in Vista.

Thanks,
Jeanne

A:problem deleting files in Vista

What kinds of things were they? Look in Task manager and see if the programs are running since you can't remove them if they are. Terminate them.

Try:

Unlocker
or
Emco Move On Boot

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-deleting-files-in-vista.598497/
Relevancy 55.9%

I ve deleting when Strange files. problem come across a pretty strange hard drive problem The model number of the drive is SAMSUNG SP H The drive has been filled with whatever random things i can find to fill it with so I decided to delete a few things to make room for new files It starts out having gig of gigs free I proceed to shift-delete a gig folder and try to download something new but the drive still reads as full exactly the same amount of space free used I try again with another gig folder Same thing Weird So I check all my recycling bins all empty The drive which i only use for music or video files doesn t have any hidden files on it and I double checked that too At first i tried restarting maybe just a fluke error but that didn t help Then I did a defrag and a disk check but nothing showed up as being wrong The drive reads as being healthy and I can access all the data on it perfectly fine Any help regarding this problem would be greatly appreciated If not it looks like my gig hard drive suddenly became a giant CD-ROM nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

Recently I have utilized a program called Nero to copy unencrypted DVD's while making copies I noticed that my Hard Drive Space had substantially been reduced for some reason that I couldn't figure out. The only reason why I figure it is in these .NRG files is because when I try to defrag my hard drive these files came up as undefragmentable, meaning these files could not be defragged. I then noticed it was 3 files roughly 15 gigs of space which is my missing disc space. I figured it must be three movies that I tried to copy. I have tried to delete these files but the problem is that I cannot even find them. They have some how become hidden within my Hard drive files. I have done various searches and still cannot find these files, the latest being a search for ".NRG". Please help. Thank you

Relevancy 55.9%

I just recently hooked up a new hard drive and did a fresh install of windows server 2003. I now have an old hard drive, both are hooked up to my computer, with a windows xp install on it. I've successfully retrieved my important files from that old hard drive, but now i want to delete the things on it that i dont want, like the Documents and Settings folder, the Program Files folder, and the WINDOWS folder. It doesn't give me an error when I try to delete them, rather, nothing happens. The files remain and no matter how many times I try to delete them it doesnt work...any idea why this is happening and how to get around it? Thanks!

A:problem deleting old windows files

Hello richpodraza

If you want rid of everything why dont you just fdisk the drive and reformat? If your using that slave drive as just storage you dont need to put an O.S. on it just format it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-deleting-old-windows-files-40675.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi all This is a typical quot user in trouble finds a forum and asks questions in the first post quot -post But I folders and problem files deleting hope it's ok and someone could give me a suggestion Thanks in advance The problem is that Altbinz screwed up in it's temp folder I was downloading some files with a total size of about - MB when Altbinz started to get slow so I decided to pause all downloads and restart the program The downloads never finished and I ended up with a big mess in the temp folder Now I cant'delete it The disk on which this folder is is an external TB USB drive So I guess I can't use the quot MoveOnBoot quot program Here is some more info on my OS I made the following screenshots to clarify In some of the screenshot I highlighted the relevant info in red Screenshot This is the actual problem Windows says the temp folder is GB but it's impossible that I downloaded GB in just minutes Screenshot None of these folders can be opened Screenshot None of these folders can be renamed Screenshot Ok so let's try to delete the files in the folder Screenshot sorry for the size Let's see the properties of a random file This file seems to be from the future And it's GB no wait it's problem deleting files and folders bytes windows seems to be clueless Screenshot Windows seems to be clueless about the folders too An empty folder from the future with a size of GB Screenshot This seems to be a GB file from D It would have cost me a milliion dollars to store a file like that back then And given the fact I was only years old I think windows might be a little confused here Can someone give me a suggestion on how to delete this GB folder from my external USB HDD Thanks in advance

A:problem deleting files and folders

The 77.9 GB is virtual, its not actually using up that memory...Run a virus scan and see if it detects anything, if it detects well and good else you'll have to use some other third-party software to get rid of that junk..

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-deleting-files-and-folders-375809.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I just restored a brand new laptop to a previous restore point and when we went to My Documents, half of his files were gone. Is there anything I can do to retrieve these files? I have performed a search and they are definitely gone.