Windows Support Forum

How to prevent refresh when renaming files in Vista Windows Explorer

Q: How to prevent refresh when renaming files in Vista Windows Explorer

I occasionally need to rename a number of files in Vista's Windows Explorer. Typically, these files have similar filenames with minor differences. Vista's Windows Explorer will refresh its list (and reposition the files) for every file renamed. This is very disturbing when I need to keep the files in place so I can see the results of those already renamed along with those to be renamed. When I used Win2K the files would stay in place until I clicked View>Refresh. Is there any way to prevent Vista's Windows Explorer from refreshing the list until I tell it to?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: How to prevent refresh when renaming files in Vista Windows Explorer

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: How to prevent refresh when renaming files in Vista Windows Explorer

Try the context menu and the "Sort By" options.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-prevent-refresh-when-renaming-files-in-vista-windows-explorer.702027/
Relevancy 83.85%

**Explorer Problem : Renaming only taking effect after refresh (F5)

Hi guys.

Since I'm in a huge hard drive clean up these days, I am often renaming files, using software to batch rename and batch music tagging.

So, the problem is... When I rename a file manually, by right-clicking, rename then rename it, when clicking away, the file goes back to its original name. Pressing F5 (Refresh) shows that the name was really renamed. Sometimes, I even wonder if Windows REALLY renamed my file.

Exemple :

MY FIle.docx

renamed to..

This is my file.docx

but when clicking away, it returns to its formal name :

MY FIle.docx.

Probably that the problem could be solved by an Explorer reboot but it keeps coming back at one point. It's slightly annoying...

Any help on that topic is appreciated
See you later guys.

EDIT

Added Problem Step Recorder recording...

A:Explorer Problem : Renaming only taking after refresh

I have noticed that behavior before, but not just in Explorer. It also happened in PowerDesk (another file manager that I once used). So far, I have not seen that in the last couple of file managers that I have tried (2Explorer & Freecommander), but I haven't done all that much renaming to be sure.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/67800-explorer-problem-renaming-only-taking-after-refresh.html
Relevancy 74.82%

Hi,
somehow, after renaming, moving, or copying a file or folder in windows explorer on windows xp pro the change does not appear automatically, and it is necessary to press refresh or F5 before the change is visible.
Anyone know how to fix that?
-sunpascal

Relevancy 70.95%

Hello,

It seems that while trying to rename a file, particularly an *.html by right clicking my laptop keeps running, then goes to a blue screen and finally have to turn it off/on again. I've tried it 3-4 times with no luck. Please help if anyone else has had this problem

A:Renaming files in Explorer

Try opening an elevated command prompt and running sfc /scannow. If that does not work, you may need to do a Repair Install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/66419-renaming-files-explorer.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I keep getting this error. It's quite annoying and comes straight back up as soon as I click ok, so it was really hard to even printscreen a copy to show anyone.

I have no idea how I can research into this, since nothing in the window seems to be search-friendly. So I registered here to see what you experts and can figure out, or perhaps even that you can help solve it.

A:"Error" Box when using Windows Explorer (Browsing/renaming files/draging and droping)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/error-box-when-using-windows-explorer-browsing-renaming-files-draging-and-droping.356841/
Relevancy 69.23%

I do not want to start a new thread hence I am dropping my comments here.

My Windows explorer was preventing me from renaming and deleting files and it was quite a pain until I discovered this thread: Windows Explorer hangs when deleting or renaming files

Problem solved!

p/s: I joined this forum just to say thanks, very much appreciated help!

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/299470-explorer-preventing-me-renaming-deleting-files.html
Relevancy 68.8%

I have been noticing randomly delay or lag in my Windows Explorer whenever I do operations such as create new folder or files, copy/paste files, or rename files.

By lag, what I mean is that lets say I rename a file from "File A" to File B", I don't see the change in the file name instantaneously. It takes few seconds I have to press F5 to refresh the window to actually see the changes.
I am running on Windows 8.1

A:Lag/Delay in Explorer when Renaming Copying Creating Files

I joined the forum to bring up the same complaint.

I 'upgraded' last week, from Win 7 HP sp1(different laptop) and from win 8 to 8.1 (this laptop via Windows Store).

Superfetch and indexing are not turned off. Accessing files in various devices seem to take forever compared to win 7.

Yesterday, I spent some time using the file explorer to rename and organize files on an external hard drive. Soon enough, the system came grinding to a slow crawl. Bringing up task manager took 'forever'. Eventually, it showed the explorer utilizing over 2GB of memory (6GB total in system). After closing the explorer window, the memory was not released. I had to restart explorer.exe to release the memory. Once I replicated the event, I began to wonder if this is unique to my machine or inherent in the OS.

I generally use XNView as my file manager. But, it wasn't performing as well as it should, or as well as it had been with Win 7. That's why I tried to bypass the middle man in XNView.

With Win 7, the external devices spin down after time has passed. There would always be lag while the accessed device spin up. With Win 8.1, the spin down seemed to be next to no time passing. I spend 5 to 10 seconds being careful in what I'm doing with the files, I have to deal with the lag before the action takes effect.

In summary, there is the explorer 'memory leak?' and the quick spin down of external devices, both affecting the performance of the file explorer.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/56804-lag-delay-explorer-when-renaming-copying-creating-files.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hello again, colleagues all,
A friend of mine on the other side of the world emailed me with a Vista problem which I am submitting on his behalf (I am an XP person and know nothing about Vista).
In XP there is a feature whereby if you select a group of files in a folder, right-click, select Rename and then edit the first file to a name terminating in a number, XP will rename all files to have the same prefix but a sequential number suffix. My friend says that this does not work in Vista.
Any advice from you gurus out there ?

A:Group Renaming of Files in Vista

Hi Jim

It works for me in Vista Home Premium - I just tested it. I selected a group of three files, then selected Rename, typed in the new beginning name (this will at first appear to only be renaming the first of the batch), and then pressed Enter = the view will Refresh, & all the files should begin with the new name & have an incremented number in parenthesis.

If it's not working for your friend, have him check that he has ownership of the files (or administrative rights, at the least). With all the User Accounts Controls built into Vista, that might be tripping things up for him a bit.

Best of luck
. . . Gary

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/group-renaming-of-files-in-vista-172307.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Maybe a year ago I got sick of having to wonder how I saved everything I ever created on my computer, and dedicated myself to organizing everything as meticulously and methodically as possible. My start menu.Every other folder is arranged just as carefully. One major problem though: Even though "Remember each folder's view settings" is turned on, every few weeks or so, a folder will, for no apparent reason, revert to its default view settings. This means going from this to this (pictures folder). Which I'm sure you can understand, is extremely aggravating.The nature of the way this problem works suggests to me that there is something deep in the guts of Windows that can be turned off, thus preventing it. So my question to all you crazy awesome gurus who I hope will be reading this is: how can that be turned off?Thanks so much!Dave

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/222060/way-to-prevent-explorer-from-re-sorting-my-files/
Relevancy 65.36%

I'm running the bit version of Windows and it's fully up to date in terms of patches This issue only affects libraries The issue started out of manually new to Have folder etc refresh renaming/moving/creating after the blue a couple of weeks ago Have to manually refresh after renaming/moving/creating new folder etc I hadn't installed any new software or changed any settings and I also tried using System Restore to go back to a couple of days before this issue started but it didn't resolve the problem This is an example of what happens - I go into my library called quot Videos quot and right-click and choose New - Folder The new folder does not appear I either press F or right-click - refresh and then I can see the new folder I created I give the new folder a name for example quot test quot The folder shows the name quot test quot I rename the folder to something else for example quot renamedtest quot The folder still shows the name as quot test quot I either press F or right-click - refresh and then the folder name changes to quot renamedtest quot Basically any time I create a folder rename a file or folder delete a file folder move a file folder etc I do not see the effects of my actions until after I've manually refreshed This only affects libraries Googling for this issue reveals dozens and dozens of threads and posts with people having the same issue going back quite a way but I'm yet to find a solution for the problem Does anyone have any ideas One option is to just not use libraries but I would rather not have to resort to that Thanks

A:Have to manually refresh after renaming/moving/creating new folder etc

Does this behavior also occur in Safe Mode ?

Regardless of the answer to that question.
Please run this scan as well.
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/197211-have-manually-refresh-after-renaming-moving-creating-new-folder-etc.html
Relevancy 62.78%

there's this one thing I find windows explorer REALLY ANNOYING.

if I ever type the folder address wrong (missing a colon when my hands got sloppy) in the address bar, windows explorer automatically TURNS INTO internet explorer mode and does online search.

I don't even use IE any more except for automatic update. I wish there's a way windows explorer wouldn't automatically do it when I type the wrong folder.

I had the access disabled for internet explorer in the add/remove program, but it doesn't do jack to windows explorer from doing it

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/prevent-windows-explorer-from-calling-internet-explorer.1025613/
Relevancy 61.92%

I can't open .EXE files in Windows 8.1 Pro without renaming the file to .exe

The exe file downloads as _exe and not as .exe

I thought I had malware so did a clean install of Win 8.1 Pro to 8 Pro and updated back to win 8.1 Pro ...it did not help but for a short time period
======================================================
Simply stated I can open an exe file only if I rename it from _exe to .exe

I have not idea how to fix this

It is more of a minor nuisance to rename every exe file....but I hope someone has a cure

I have searched this website prior to posting and have Googled but only the file name change seems to allow me to open a .exe file

Thanks in advance

BTW: There is a fix from Doug Knox but that is not applicable to Win 8.1

A:Can't open .EXE files in Windows 8.1 without renaming

Let me add that my UAC settings are the first notch down which is the default

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/34486-cant-open-exe-files-windows-8-1-without-renaming.html
Relevancy 61.49%

hello ladies and gents, i remember receving help from this forum before and it was great help. right now im in a jam with this and i hope you pros can get me out of it.

ok so this is how it goes, it all started yesterday when my computer was sounding funny for example the fan was goin up and down in sound if you know what i mean.

but today now its started when im deleting files or renaming them the explorer freezes and i need to open task manager to reboot the explorer everytime.

its strange that this has happened and ive tried lots of things and nothing has worked. so can anyone help me out. much appreciated

A:Windows Explorer Freezing When Deleting And Renaming A File

Hi -

Try the file deletions and renames in SAFEMODE.

Is there anything special about these files - what are some of the names of them and what folders are they located in?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-explorer-freezing-when-deleting-and-renaming-a-file-343977.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Hey everybody

I've had this happen before. I will delete pictures from a folder, while viewing in Thumbnail view. The pictures are numbered 001, 002, 003, 004, 005....etc. Now, say I delete images 002 and 003. If I go back, and rename image 004 to image 002, then my picture changes to the 002 image. Not just the name, but the picture itself.

I've tried restarting windows after deleting the pictures, and renaming them, but they still change the picture to what was previously 002. Any ideas on what is going on here?

A:Solved: Windows XP: Renaming an image in Windows Explorer changes picture

probly related to the thumbnail.db file not re-thumbing the file.

This is a hidden file within the directory. perhaps deleting it and letting windows rebuild the thumbnails is the answer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-renaming-an-image-in-windows-explorer-changes-picture.494647/
Relevancy 60.63%

Or copying them or anything else that starts by right-clicking warning renaming Windows Disable when files Security 7 on them These are files on my network drive which is not AFAIK accessible from outside my network at least I can t access it except when I m connected at home or Disable Windows 7 Security warning when renaming files using a VPN client so I m pretty certain that these files are safe-and the warning Disable Windows 7 Security warning when renaming files isn t telling me that they re unsafe anyway just that they re an unsafe type i e zip files So I m open to either of two solutions-trust files on that network drive or disable the warnings for actions that don t involve running the files All the tips I ve found so far involve disabling the warning entirely for all files or all files of a given type and I don t want to do that If because I lost my mind or maybe let my kids use my PC which would be an indication that I d lost my mind I try to copy run a file from outside my network then I d like to get the warning-so I don t want to disable it entirely But if I m just copying files to from my network storage then I don t need the flipping warning Can I disable it for that Thanks Not sure whether this s b Security or Windows -feel free to move it if it s in the wrong forum nbsp

A:Disable Windows 7 Security warning when renaming files

I don't get a warning about renaming zip files. Are you sure that is a Windows warning?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disable-windows-7-security-warning-when-renaming-files.918170/
Relevancy 60.63%

How do I rename the .avi files so that I can play(see and hear) them on Windows Media Player?

I'm using Windows Media Player 11 and I run Windows Vista.

Relevancy 60.63%

Ive Been Having This Problem For a Few Weeks now Havent had the chance to Actually Sit down and try to address the Issue until Today but i need to resolve this Issue As its Slowing up My Work and projects Pretty Much What Happens is When I have a File that I want to send to the Recycle Bin Delete Windows Explorer just Freezes and brings deleting Files... Professional Hangs 7 Renaming when Windows or Up a Status Bar as If its Loading But it never completes the Task because it just Sits there for a Really Long Time So Far This is What Ive Done -Clean Boot in which i goto Msconfig Windows 7 Professional Hangs when deleting or Renaming Files... and Adjust the settings to only Load system resources Upon Startup and such and then Reboot the Computer Ive done this Twice Already and still the same thing unable to Delete or Rename files -Ive Also tried to Startup Windows in Safe Mode and Try to Perform tasks as well and Still I was Unable to delete or Rename Files -Ive Ran a Virus Scan to see if it could be a potential Virus Issue although i found virus throughout my entire system i was still unable to delete or rename files -I also tried the CMD prompt when trying to manually delete or make changes to a File and i was unsuccessful with that -I Ran a ScanDsk to cleanup my drive and also Defrag but still Nothing -I also Created a Seperate User Account with Admin Settings to see if I could Perform Tasks on that User Account and Perhaps the current account I use was corrupted but i couldnt Rename or Delete Files in that Either I can Move The Files to Different Drives Other than the Recycle bin But i cant Delete them and Its only Certain files that are like this Im not sure if it is possibly an issue with the Registry or Some sort of Component Storage Corruption mumbo jumbo that ive been finding online Or what but If someone has a Fix For this and Can help I would Appreciate it thanks

A:Windows 7 Professional Hangs when deleting or Renaming Files...

For starters, try this free tool:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
Disable all of the non-Windows extensions, reboot and see if that helps.
If it does, re-enable ½ of them at a time to figure out where the problem lies.

Also, Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/577589/windows-7-professional-hangs-when-deleting-or-renaming-files/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello everyone I'd like to know why win bit decides by itself to auto refresh a window minute and literally the next second or two later Explorer then auto Why? refresh. don't auto windows refresh it does not Lets say I save Explorer windows auto refresh then don't auto refresh. Why? a pic from the net just before I go into the browser I already have my downloads folder open I save a couple pics and I go back to the open folder and the pics are there at the bottom I sort by date modified I go back to the browser save another pic or anything I go back to the folder and the pic or whatever is not there so i have to refresh myself I was just in that folder seconds ago I seen no reason for it to not refresh now when it just did it seconds ago Now I have not changed any setting regarding this or any explorer action I can't even find an auto refresh option anywhere So how is this possible What the heck is wrong with this OS ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I must say I will soon be at my wits end with this OS I paid to spent more time organizing and moving files around A lot more time They have really screwed up explorer this time around Explorer in XP was essentially perfect I never even touched Vista on my machines My wife has Vista I'm starting to believe that win was just a money grab and that of the many problems with this OS will not be fixed in any hotfix or service packs but win will be all better just as long as you spend another Its also being released in a year and a half Win is in its infancy MS will never fix this OS when it is marching on to the next OS as quickly as possible I used XP for years and never had any problems at all even before SP amp SP when you compare the deluge of inconsistencies and holes win actually has Also why is it that this time around nobody websites amp magazines especially writes about the problems that this OS really has Hmmm I wonder Vista got the crap kicked out of it but win not a dang thing in comparison I didn't find a rant or complaints section on this website so I guess I'll just include these in my posts If this is not appropriate please let me know and I'll refrain from adding them in any threads The MS Win feedback sites are completely useless Not once have I gotten a response from them

A:Explorer windows auto refresh then don't auto refresh. Why?

We have a thread for this kind of thing. I can't find it at the moment. I think unsubscribed from it on accident, but I'm pretty sure its in general discussion. Explorer is working like it always does. It can be annoying that it doesn't always refresh, but I'm sure you can find a pattern, like how many added files it takes or how long it takes to "auto-refresh". The reason you don't here anything bad about Windows 7 is for three reasons. 1) you haven't looked hard enough. There are plenty of news stories with Mac lovers saying its Vista with a new paint job. 2) XP was as unstable as Charles Manson on Crack at the best of times when it first came out. 3) Vista was, well Vista. MS claimed it would run fine on 512MB of RAM, so people were installing it on old computers, and new computer were being bought that were seriously underpowered. When it wouldn't run worth a crap, everyone hated it. Not to mention the incompatibility issues that no one saw between 2000 and XP. If you didn't use Vista at all, the changes do seem a lot more drastic. If you don't like it, go back to XP SP3. Problem solved!!!!!!!

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/100171-explorer-windows-auto-refresh-then-dont-auto-refresh-why.html
Relevancy 59.34%

CD/DVD will not refresh in windows explorer. If a different cd/dvd is placed in the drive, it still shows the name of the cd or dvd that WAS in the drive at the time of boot up. This creates a problem trying to run any application or game that requires the cd be in the drive to play. It does not see the new disc.

Has anyone ever run into this?

Thanx
HangNa1L

Relevancy 59.34%

I recently built a new pc and I am using Windows 7. I work with a large number of jpg files. Most of the time I rename these files by using a date format such as 2010.11.08. I have noticed that when I use the date format in Windows 7--such as: 2010.11.08-- and hit the "enter" key the files are renamed: 2010.11 (1) etc and NOT the complete date (2010.11.08 (1) ---if I use a date format such as 2010-11-08 OR if I rename the files 2010.11.08 a I don't have that problem. This problem only happens when I rename a group of jpg files (more than one)?it does not happen if I rename only one file. I never had this kind of problem when I was using XP?Is Windows 7 different in this respect????

I have exhausted my FAQ files and have not been able to get an answer to this question.

Thanks in advance for your help.

A:[SOLVED] Windows 7-renaming groups of jpg files with date format 2010.11.09

At a guess - it is interpreting the last part of the date format (eg .08) as a file extension. However when you go to rename just one it ignores the extension.

Go to Start -> type Folder Options press enter -> go to View tab -> scroll down and untick the box beside "Hide extensions for known file types"

Then go back to the folder with the pictures in it and you may be able to see where the missing part of the file name has gone.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-windows-7-renaming-groups-of-jpg-files-with-date-format-2010-11-09-a-527246.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Here is an odd problem.

I was using windows explorer switches

/n/e, /c:\

to make explorer start in classic view showing the root. In my named account, these switches prevent explorer from starting. take them away, and it starts fine.

go to administrator account, and the switches work fine.

come back to named account, and they wont work.

ideas?

A:Windows explorer switches prevent starting

Until someone familiar with command line switches hands on, perhaps one of these will help

How to Make Windows Explorer Open the Way You Want

Command Line Switches to Display Special Objects or Folders When Opening Windows Explorer ? My Digital Life

Command-Line Switches for Windows Explorer

A Guy

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/283530-windows-explorer-switches-prevent-starting.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi everyone

I have a problem when open windows explorer, it seems to refresh Windows Explorer every 5 seconds. I notice this problem more often when browsing through network dive. This problem does not happen to other people on the network. I already have unchecked "automatically search for network folders and printer? on folder options. Any suggestion whets causing this. Thanks

A:Frequent Refresh Of Windows Explorer

Have you done a virus scan recently? If not, I reccomend doing that before doing anything else.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/132521/frequent-refresh-of-windows-explorer/
Relevancy 58.91%

My desktop isn't refreshing automatically as it should, i have to Right Click > Refresh.

E.g. I extract an archive, and nothing appears, first time this happened i thought it had just failed. so i did it again, and again, and again. then i hit F5 and nothing happened, so i right click refreshed and i had a desktop full of replicated files from the archive, so i deleted them, but now, whenever i download anything to my desktop, it doesn't appear until i refresh, any suggestions?

-Fishman.

A:Windows Explorer Refresh Problem

Your lucky day This is for 32 bit Vista

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...F4-C9C1-4119-8B59-18DADC49348A&displaylang=en

Let me know if if works for you.

Original link I found this, other interesting things here also, check it out

http://www.watchingthenet.com/fix-windows-vista-desktop-not-refreshing-or-updating-properly.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-explorer-refresh-problem.673030/
Relevancy 58.91%

I tried your instruction Regarding "Regedit".
I could not find: BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}\Instance
the: 7F-.... does not exist

Can you Help ?

Thanks

UncleHelmy

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-explorer-doesnt-refresh.1156217/
Relevancy 58.91%

Am I the only one who has to refresh windows explorer after every single action. When I move a file to a folder, create a folder, rename a folder, delete a folder, anything I need to refresh the. I didnt realize this at first and created seven new folders at one point. it wasn't until I left the folder I was in and came back to it that I realized what was going on. Is this a glitch. Its a pretty big hassle trying to create several folders and trying to name different sections and having to refresh windows explorer to drag and drop any items into them. What can I do to fix this problem?

A:Having to refresh windows explorer nonstop

Your problem sounds a bit vague.. but you might try to use a repair disc, or system restore (if enabled)
but because of your type of problem, i recommend reinstalling it to avoid bsod's

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/40658-having-refresh-windows-explorer-nonstop.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi, I need to devise a fixed file structure at my organisation whereby users are allowed to add files into folders but are prevented from creating subfolders. Is this possible?

Tom Hamilton

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/888aa060-110a-4a1d-be2d-503bec2210a7/prevent-users-from-creating-folders-in-windows-explorer?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 58.48%

Windows Explorer's icon changes by the folder it is pointing to. That is, on a folder, it shows yellow folder, but on Desktop it shows a desktop, on computer it shows a computer, and so on. Further, even if explorer is already showing an icon, changes folders change the icon. How do i prevent Windows from changing the icon? Or, better yet, just show a simple folder icon no matter what is selected? -- Background: I use the keyboard, starting Explorer via winkey-E and switching to explorer via alt-tab. A yellow folder means explorer. Other icons just don't register (as quickly).

A:How do i prevent Windows Explorer icon from changing by folder

Welcome to Seven Forums chacham. Do you have Explorer pinned to the taskbar? If so, unpin it to proceed, if not, you can unpin it after this process.

Navigate to C:\windows\explorer.exe> Right click explorer.exe> Create shotcut> Right click new shortcut> Properties> Change icon> Browse to the icon of your choice> OK> Apply> OK> Right click the new shortcut> Pin to taskbar

Your icon should now stay the icon you chose. You should be able to unpin the icon and it will stay what you set.

A Guy

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/338342-how-do-i-prevent-windows-explorer-icon-changing-folder.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi,
We have WINDOWS XP OS on my system. We have a problem with auto refresh in windows explorer.
We have a folder that is mapped to network location. We have this problem only with the network mapped drive.
As soon as we rename any file, the file is moved to the last in the folder. We do not want this behavior. The file
should be in the same place where it was before renaming.

For example,
we have the following files in the folder in the same order
abc.pdf
fgh.pdf
zyx.pdf

if we rename the file 'fgh.pdf' as 'fghxyz.pdf' then the order will be
abc.pdf
zyx.pdf
fghxyz.pdf
we do not want this type of behavior. The file should be at the same place where it was before renaming.
Any ideas to disable this behavior?

Thank you in advance,
Raheem MA

Relevancy 58.05%

Hi, for a long time I've been having a problem where windows 7 does not refresh the folder or desktop views when I do things like copy/paste files, rename files, create a new file/folder, etc. I have to press F5 in order to get the correct view.

After maybe 5-10 minutes of dealing with this problem, it seems to sometimes go away. Other times I reboot to end the problem. Also it seems that this problem arises when working with my computer after it has been asleep.

I have seen other people on the internet have been having similar issues for I think a year with windows 7, with no conclusive solution being reached to fix it.

Anyone know if a solution been reached to this issue?

A:has the windows 7 explorer folder refresh bug been solved?

I've never had that problem, but if I have time tomorrow I will look if there is a solution to this.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/92918-has-windows-7-explorer-folder-refresh-bug-been-solved.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I found it was convenient after renaming files and folders. In Vista I have to click View > Refresh, but there is no hotkey or button that I can find. Anyone know if it's possible?

A:A Refresh button in the Windows Explorer toolbar?

I've always doing it "View > Refresh", but I could imagine the convenience of that button.. possibly right click- refresh?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/260584/a-refresh-button-in-the-windows-explorer-toolbar/
Relevancy 57.62%

I'm in a real mess at the moment, I've lost some important word documents after I did a Windows 8 refresh.

The documents I need were on my desktop in folders and what's strange is the folders are still there but the files inside them aren't.

I've tried 'Recuva' and I've got like 3 word documents back but the it says the rest are unrecoverable and have been overwritten. I've been trying other programs but not luck so far.

I know it's a long shot but is there any possible way to recover these word documents? It's work I can't replicate again and I'm screwed if I can't get it back.

Thanks.

Relevancy 57.62%

I was unable to find another thread on this exact problem so please help me Installed Windows Installed latest ATI Catalyst Driver and Restarted Displays black screen instead of the usual loading graphic screen displayed before log in screen After automatic log in only the desktop background is displayed Log in sound is heard yet no explorer or desktop icons appear When prompted with Ctrl Alt Delete a black screen appears and reverts when I press escape I assume this is a graphics driver problem as when I boot in safe mode and uninstall the ATI drivers for my graphics card I can start and use Windows as usual yet without Aero effects I have tried Re-installing ATI drivers Re-installing Windows Installing previous version of ATI driver This happened after a re-install of Explorer Windows from appearing Driver startup on Prevent HD5770 Windows I previously had Windows running on the same system without this problem Thank you very much for any help or advice My system specs are in my profile

A:HD5770 Driver Prevent Windows Explorer from appearing on startup

Hmm...

What if you lower the refresh rate?

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/131305-hd5770-driver-prevent-windows-explorer-appearing-startup.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello people

I always need to rename lots of subfolders so i do this by alfabetical order, the problem is that sometimes i rename a folder from "aaa" to "Files 06-10" and then when i finish renaming explorer auto refresh it and the folder goes to the "F" folder section.

How do i disable the auto refresh in windows explorer?

A:Can i disable Windows Explorer auto folder refresh?

I would also like to do so for the very same reason.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/33384-can-i-disable-windows-explorer-auto-folder-refresh.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I have a drive letter persitently mapped to a NAS server on my home LAN When I right-click on files with suffix zip I get a quot Windows Security quot dialog warning me that quot Opening these files might be harmful to your computer - Your Internet security settings blocked one or more files from being opened Do you want to open these files anyway quot First of all a NAS server on my LAN is NOT on the Internet so why would quot Internet security settings quot have anything to do with it I set quot local intranet quot security settings to low but the bogus message still persists The message is triggered from on Windows do access files bug: to Security questioning LAN you NAS? Possible from .zip How prevent the file type suffix zip alone because I created an empty file named foo zip and that also triggers the message The trigger is dependent on the file location If Possible bug: How do you prevent Windows Security from questioning access to .zip files on LAN NAS? the file is local there is no message but the same file on NAS casues the message to be displayed It is interesting that tar gzip zip and even exe files do not trigger this message--only zip files Is there any way to make this stop Lee CasonFairfax VA USA-----------------------------------------------------------------OS Name Microsoft Windows UltimateOS Version N A Build OS Configuration Standalone WorkstationOS Build Type Multiprocessor FreeProduct ID - - - Processor s Processor s Installed Intel Family Model Stepping GenuineIntel MhzBIOS Version American Megatrends Inc R -A Boot Device Device HarddiskVolume Total Physical Memory MBAvailable Physical Memory MBNetwork Card s NIC s Installed NVIDIA nForce Mbps Ethernet

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/35ca8f9c-5e69-4b7f-a002-0d72fa0dc14b/possible-bug-how-do-you-prevent-windows-security-from-questioning-access-to-zip-files-on-lan-nas?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 57.19%

I have a brand new Asus laptop, bought it about 3 weeks ago.
After installing some windows updates I restarted the computer and it it would not boot.
Keep getting a quick error message 0xc0000001 and restarts.
I have tried booting into recovery and doing automatic repair, tried bootrec's /fixboot, /fixmbr, and /rebuildbcd and and get successfully completed but still does not boot in both secure and non-secure boot. I have done a refresh, which completes successfully, but still not booting. The USERS folder in c:\Windows.old does not show any users, even though when I click advanced options in recovery it asks to choose a login and enter a password. I have also checked the USERS folder at c: and :c\windows.
Remember I did a refresh and not a reset so my pics should still be their.
How can i recover my pics and fix the damn boot.

Thanks in advance.

A:Windows 8 not booting and refresh may have lost files

A Refresh would delete any Programs that were installed to Program Files but it is supposed to save all of your Documents. Do you have any way to browse the contents of the drive? You would have to do it so it shows all hidden folders and files. I had heard a Refresh will save your Documents, I'm not sure about it saving images, and other people have complained about this.

How are you browsing the hard drive, through Safe Mode or some other means?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/32658-windows-8-not-booting-refresh-may-have-lost-files.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi there,
Since this afternoon, I've updated two of the computers at home from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. Since then, i tested them and everything is fine on the first one (except a little bug with the address bar in Google Chrome) but not on the second one.
Let me explain you what the problem is. In the File Explorer, each time i scroll down to any location in the folder, it's scrolling up after a few seconds, but also prevent me to rename a file or a folder, because when I do, it seems some kind of refresh happens and I'm back to the top of the window and the file name (or folder name) is again in view mode.
Can you help me ?
Thank you in advance,
Kind Regards,
Meng Yi

A:How to solve issue with auto-refresh in File Explorer? (Windows 10)

do you have a mapped network drive that is no longer reachable?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/371637-how-solve-issue-auto-refresh-file-explorer-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I'm not sure if this is a simply problem or some kind of other problem.

Usually, when you create/rename/delete a file/folder in the directory in Windows Explorer, it will add/renamed/remove automatically without refreshing.

However, I have this issue where if you do any of the above, it doesn't refresh until you press F5. I tried to see if its a driver issue by booting into Safe Mode but it didn't work in there.

I'm not sure if I should do a new format on my machine or if someone has a fix out there.

I'm currently running on Windows 7 Professional x64.

A:Windows Explorer doesn't refresh after copy, rename, new, or delete

Just want to bump this discussion up, since there hasn't been a reply yet. I have the same problem and it's maddening!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/211411-windows-explorer-doesnt-refresh-after-copy-rename-new-delete.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hello.
when i search from the start menu, all i want to find is applications (desktop apps, metro apps, shortcus to apps in the all-applications menu) and settings, not files and folders.
(i already disabled the web search there).
i still want to be able to search files when searching from antoher places, just not when searching from the start menu, so disabling the index is not an option for me.
how do i do this?
thank you

A:Prevent windows from search in files when searching in the Start Menu

In Classic Shell Settings -> Search Box tab, uncheck "Search files".

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/38645-prevent-windows-search-files-when-searching-start-menu.html
Relevancy 56.33%

All our users have roaming profiles and use both 32 bit Windows 7 and 64 bit Windows 7 workstations. The problem is that we have an Intranet that runs ActiveX and will not work with the 64 bit version of Internet Explorer. If a user moves from a 32 bit Windows
7 computer to a 64 bit Windows 7 computer, the application path for Internet Explorer (Task bar and Start Menu) opens the 64 bit version of IE and not the 32 bit version of IE which has an appended path of \program files (x86)\.

Is there a way of using Group Policy to make sure that all users only open the 32 bit version of Internet Explorer whether on a 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows 7, even though the path to the 32 bit version of IE on 64 bit Windows 7 has changed?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/55747278-0c64-4a70-815a-654779f0d3ab/how-prevent-users-opening-64-bit-internet-explorer-when-using-roaming-profiles-on-32-bit-and-64-bit?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello,

I'm running Windows 7 x64 on a desktop PC. I download pictures, and rename them using the rename process in Windows Explorer. When I rename pictures in the folder, they'll have the name like pic (1) pic (2) pic (3) and so on. I can rename pictures until I reach pic (10001). At that point, Explorer no longer automatically increments them. The renaming status bar turns red, and an error message says: "The file name(s) would be too long for the destination folder". I am however, able to manually enter numbers higher than 10001, so I'm not sure what the error message is referencing.

Is there a registry entry, or environmental variable that I can increase the value to be greater than 10001?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/621282/when-renaming-files-is-there-a-maxvalue-set-for-files-in-a-folder-of-10001/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hiya,
I'm not sure exactly what's going on with windows explorer. This is a new problem, just started happening yesterday. When I try to click on a file to rename it, explorer crashes and then restarts, says it has encountered a problem and needs to close.

I think it's happening when explorer is trying to generate the preview of the file. This has never been a problem before. It seems to be on avi files specifically, not mpeg's or asf. I know my brother changed something in the registry so he could delete a movie file, but I don't know what he changed or how to change it back.

Also, I think that the problem was starting before he made the change, but I'm not sure. Any ideas? I tried to run system restore from 2 days ago, before the problem, but it said there were no changes.

Thanks for the help.

Heather

A:explorer crashing when renaming

when you boot up press f8 athe boot screen that comes up choose last known good configuration
if this does'nt fix it use restore at a date that was before the problems.
if you want to clean the registry use jv16 from
www.jv16.org
this is free and will do it safely

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/explorer-crashing-when-renaming.137366/
Relevancy 53.32%

i now have roughly 4000 mp3s and i wanted to make a list of all of them,but at the end of each song on the list i want it to show what cd its on,i use file grabber to make the list,so when i put in a cd and load the list into file grabber i want it to say"song title"cd1.then i would load in another list from another cd and i want it to say"song title"cd2etc etc,so when i have my master list of all my music and i want to hear a song it will tell me cd to look on.is there a way to add an extension onto a batch of songs without renaming all of them.i hope i made myself clear on this---i use win 98

Relevancy 53.32%

I've copied my itunes folder to an external drive as a backup now want to change the folder name but am not allowed .I am the administrator & permissions are set to full control . What do I need to do?

I have Vista home premium

A:Renaming files

Try this. http://paulstamatiou.com/2007/02/09/how-to...sta-permissions

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/229736/renaming-files/
Relevancy 53.32%

When I rename multiple files which are already organized by number or alphabetical order...that previous order is lost. The files though renamed, are assigned a new and random oder. How can I retain the previous sequencing when renaming multiple files?
Hartlyn

A:renaming files

You can't unless you rename them individually. The Explorer will always append a number to your name when you rename several in one strike.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/289293-renaming-files.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Greetings, I'm looking for a way to rename files via windows right click shell, a hidden windows setting or power toy, that will allow me to rename two files that already have identical names, but different file extensions, to a new but still identical name, without windows adding in an incremental number in parenthesis to the second file. I know I can just manually remove the added tag by hand however I have about 18,000 files to rename and am trying to cut down the amount of time it takes to do this. For example if I have two files, one is named thisdamnsong.cdg and one is named thisdamnsong.mp3 and I want to change them to thissong.cdg and thissong.mp3 without windows causing thissong (1).mp3 to occur. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best freeware I have found so far,

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-files.860264/
Relevancy 53.32%

Can any one help me? I try to rename my files/folders and upon typing in the new name I hit enter and the new file name won't appear until after I either close the window and re-open it or I refresh the window. Same thing happens when I right click and create a new folder, the folder won't appear until I refresh and then I name it and have to refresh yet again. This is getting quite annoying.

I don't know if it's a program that I have, a registry key that's corrupt or what. I seem to remember this starting after my computer did it's Automatic Updates, but I don't want to remove the wrong updates/programs/registry keys and mess up my computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

John

A:Renaming Files Don't Appear Right Away

Try going here and downloading and running this scan see if it fixes it the problem -- If not, tell me... I'll try looking into it too.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-files-dont-appear-right-away.640396/
Relevancy 53.32%

Ok, so there are two options: You can either make windows show file extensions like file.exe, or you can have it hide known extensions, like file . What bothers me, is why isn't there an option that hides everything but click to rename it, the extension shows up?

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Alex.

A:Renaming Files

Quote: Originally Posted by AlexRD

Ok, so there are two options: You can either make windows show file extensions like file.exe, or you can have it hide known extensions, like file . What bothers me, is why isn't there an option that hides everything but click to rename it, the extension shows up?

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Alex.

Alex, I don't believe that I have ever seen that. I firmly believe that the default should be to show file extensions instead of hide them. Big mistake and a great opening for the virus and trojan creators..

Just my opinion..

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/202441-renaming-files.html
Relevancy 53.32%

In windows vista, when I wanted to rename files in a folder all I had to do was right click on one file, rename it and click tab to move to the next file to rename. I didn't have to right click every single file, click rename, type the name, press enter and then move on. This has become a huge problem for me in windows 7 and I cannot seem to find an answer of solution to this problem.

I open a folder that has 27 pictures; I want to rename those pictures in a consectutive order, but in the order I want them to be; for example: R2290-01 and I want that exact style to follow through until R2290-27. I am okay with renaming every file by hand, but I want to be able to "TAB" between them and not right click and rename everytime.

HELP ME PLEASE! This is driving me absolutely nuts.

If this is a common thing for you, might I suggest a completely different approach.
Introduction - Bulk Rename Utility

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/146845-renaming-files.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I would like to know of a program that would let me remove the current name of files in a folder and replace the original filename with a number that represents how many files there are (goes up by one for each file). What's an app I can use that'll do this and how do I do this using that app?

Thanks in advance,

HexStar

Relevancy 53.32%

Hi
I am trying to completely rename an exe file using Resource Hacker. In the "version info" group there is the following information (shown with my edits in bold below). The problem is that although the filename, file description and icons are now the way i want, the name of the window that opens is still not changed.

Is there anything ive missed? Thanks for the help

Code:
1 VERSIONINFO
FILEVERSION 1,0,0,609
PRODUCTVERSION 1,0,0,609
FILEOS 0x4
FILETYPE 0x0
{
BLOCK "StringFileInfo"
{
BLOCK "040904B0"
{
VALUE "CompanyName", "Sibelius Software"
VALUE "FileDescription", "Sibelius 6"
VALUE "FileVersion", "01.00.00.0609"
VALUE "InternalName", "Sibelius 6"
VALUE "LegalCopyright", "Copyright (C) 2003"
VALUE "OriginalFilename", "Sibelius 6.exe"
VALUE "ProductName", "Sibelius 6"
VALUE "ProductVersion", "01.00.00.0609"
VALUE "FileName", "Sibelius 6"
}
}

BLOCK "VarFileInfo"
{
VALUE "Translation", 0x0409 0x04B0
}
}

A:Renaming .exe files

The name of the application Window could be stored anywhere. It could be in the resources, hard coded in the exe file or stored somewhere else. Every application is different.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/renaming-exe-files-673372.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I have a user who uses a laptop at home to VPN into the network so he can work from home. Everything works fine until he tries to rename a file. His computer gives him the error basically saying he is using invalid characters. He has tried to rename it very simple names (1, test, etc.). He can create folders and copy files into them and delete them but he just can't rename them. As soon as he gets back into the office he is able to rename folders and files using the exact same username and password he is using from home. Any ideas why he can't rename files and folders over the VPN?

Andrew

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/renaming-files-over-vpn-460284.html
Relevancy 53.32%

how would i go about renaming a file from filename.something to filename.mp3 =P
thx for any help i get

A:renaming files

NOTE: I may be incorrect but try this(I think I am incorrect, but its worth a shot).

just change the ".something" to .mp3

EXAMPLE: metallica.avi, delete ".avi", type ".mp3"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-files.36716/
Relevancy 53.32%

When I rename a file in XP, right click - rename
the extension doesn't change.

i.e. renaming test.text to be .dat becomes test.dat.txt

How can I quickly change the entire name and extension ?
I have been going to DOS to rename it.

A:renaming files in XP

do you have on a right click the option to "open with"? If so...choose .dat association

If not... highlight & then hold down the shift key down & right click & choose "open with"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-files-in-xp.65347/
Relevancy 53.32%

When I rename a file on my computer, I just have to type in the name only and the extension (file type) is maintained. However, another employee in our office has to actually type in the new name with the extension. I'm thinking they must have something set differently somewhere in Windows XP. Can anyone help?

Relevancy 52.89%

These are my issues:

When I create a New Folder and try naming it, it freezes, then Explorer will restart. The folder will be made but if I try to rename it, it will do the same thing.

When I try deleting that empty folder, the Moving to Recycle bin takes over 30 sec long, there is nothing inside it. I can delete a big regular file instantly.

The Context menu also has very black thicker separator lines compared to what it should be a faint light grey color. That was the first thing I noticed that was off. Please help. I tried shellextview, disabled all 3rd party items and it still isn't working.

A:Creating or Renaming a Folder Causes Explorer To Crash

I would try creating a second user account and see if it does the same thing when logged in as a different user.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/36300-creating-renaming-folder-causes-explorer-crash.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi folks.

Does Win7 finally allow me to disable this "feature"? It's one of the few things which I have an irrational hate for. If I want to rename the file I will use the rightclick context menu. PLEASE. I only use the left mouse button for two things: selecting something and doubleclicking to open something.

Thank you.

A:Disable click renaming of items in Explorer

very good question.. I'll see if I can figure it out

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/117809-disable-click-renaming-items-explorer.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I want to rename multiple files in W Can I please get recommendations for a reliable freeware or shareware utility I have a series of Word files all in a common folder named quot ABC variable doc quot I want to change them to quot AB same-variable-as-before doc quot Going to a DOS prompt through Windows didn t work I tried quot ren ABC AB quot and got no change Well I did get a change -- it changed the case and gave me abC at the beginning of each filename instead of ABC It didn t get rid of the C as I wanted I rarely have need for this but a shareware utility may be worth getting if the price is reasonable Reliability and ensuring the stability and security of my business system is of paramount importance though which is why I m asking for multiple Renaming W98 in files recommendations here for what should be a rather simple task in theory Renaming multiple files in W98 I m very security- and stability-conscious Thanks JK nbsp

A:Renaming multiple files in W98

I have a (freeware) utility called "Lupas Rename" that works quite well for batch renaming. The only problem is that I've forgotten where I found it, and the help file lists no URL. Try doing a Google search to find it...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-multiple-files-in-w98.162827/
Relevancy 52.89%

If I m not in the correct sub-forum then perhaps someone can point me in the right direction This problem is a wee bit problem Renaming Files difficult to explain but I ll try I have a folder called Aircraft Photos and at the moment there are photos in this folder After downloading the latest photo opening the Renaming Files problem folder and clicking on View then Arrange Icons - By Name I noticed that many of the Images had swapped names Now when I try to Rename the images back to their original name it seems to have a knock-on effect Renaming the file to original name will change the name of another file image elsewhere in the folder So I m just running around in circles I tried restart but to no avail Just before the restart I noticed a message that said something about a problem with an add-on maybe Photobucket Renaming Files problem but I couldn t read it all before the restart begun There was also an error report to send Please help nbsp

Relevancy 52.89%

I've been computing for about 10 years now and never really tried to change an mp3 file name... Until today!!
You can't do it!
So I figured I would try some shareware renaming apps.... Holy Crap! Batch-conventions,&//&( Stuff!
I just want to right click and rename the file.

Is there an easy way?

Relevancy 52.89%

when renaming either files or folders the current file/folder name disappears completely and the new name does not appear until after renaming is completed. this happens in both "my computer" and "windows explorer". running win nt 4.0 w/sp6a. what is causing this?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-files-folders.44016/
Relevancy 52.89%

I have 10 or so files in a folder:

folder\file_01_01_01.swf
folder\file_01_01_02.swf
folder\file_01_01_03.swf
folder\file_01_01_04.swf

i would like to rename these files:

folder\newfilename_01_01_01.swf
folder\newfilename_01_01_02.swf
folder\newfilename_01_01_03.swf
folder\newfilename_01_01_04.swf
I have the code to change each file seperately,

' Sub Rename()
' Dim FileName As String
' Dim NewFileName As String
' On Error Resume Next

' FileName = "C:\folder\file_01_01_01.swf"
' NewFileName = "C:\folder\newfilename01_01_01.swf"
' Name FileName As NewFileName
' End Sub

but i was hoping for a slick way to do it all...
any help...

Relevancy 52.89%

hi,
i have a problem renaming files with long filenames. in fact, it won't even let me delete or copy or cut them.
i think this may be the problem: windows doesn't have a problem with letting me write long filenames. it does have a problem if i try to move these files into another directory (an error message comes up saying that the file name is too long to move). but i think the problem is that it DOES let me rename the folder that the long filename is in, rendering the file inside useless to me. (i don't actually know if this is the problem, i'm too scared to test my theory).

but anyway, i was wondering if there was any way of renaming my file. i've tried downloading a renaming program but that didn't work. is there something i can type into the 'run' thing?
zac.

A:problems renaming files

You can try doing it from a command prompt. If the file names are very long (>255), then you masy have better luck using the "command" console rather than the "cmd" one. Rename the files first with old 8.3 DOS names and then rename them from within Windows.

Start by going to Start > Run, and typing:
cmd <Enter>

Navigate to the folder where the files are and use the "ren" command to rename them.

If that doesn't work, try using "command" instead of "cmd" in the Run box.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-renaming-files.346319/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello,

Firefox 64 bit (Namoroka 64 bit) keeps renaming my files every time I download them. It adds a (x) suffix to my files, which is very annoying.

Here is how it goes: I download a file, it keeps the original file name. But watch this: I delete the file from the folder it was downloaded to, I download it to the same folder and it renames it to myFile(1). Same for the next times: myFile(2), myFile(3). Remember, the original file is no longer present, yet it renames it like there was some file name conflict, which there isn't. What's more: it does this for all my other files! Keeps adding (x) suffix like there was a conflict.

So why does it keep doing this and how do I fix it? Thanks

Relevancy 52.89%

I have several hundred pictures that I recieved from a professional photographer for our school. All of the files have odd extensions such as .56, .86, etc. These numbers are actually part of out 10 digit id numbers. Is there a way to rename the files and keep those numbers? Or change the association of the file? I have tried several different ideas and the only one that works is the assoc command.

assoc .56=jpegfile

But then to do another i have to change the extension

assoc .86=jpegfile

The only problem is that every picture has a different 2 digit extension. Is there a way to select all of the pictures without entering the exact extension?

A:Renaming files using batch

rename *.* *.*.jpg
should do this for you but copy a few pics into a folder to test it gives you the result you are after before runing it in the folder that you have all of the pics in

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/renaming-files-using-batch-460359.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I have a rather... interesting error, whenever i try to make a new folder, i can, just as long as i leave the name as new folder, but then when i want to rename, it gives me the "The file or folder does not exist" and i cant rename, what happened? Or what can i do? Running Ultimate here, 32bits.

A:Renaming folders and files.

After you have made the new folder, guess you have right clicked on it and checked that everything under Properties looks AOK?

Maybe clear the READ ONLY attribute and try again though you shouldn't have to do this really!

You could also try copying another old folder and pasting it onto the appropriate source (C) and try to rename it. Again this is kinda messy and should not be necessary.............

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-folders-and-files.632110/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi,

I've encountered a problem with files seeming to randomly rename themselves...

I have a "fileserver" (just a seperate box with a large sata HD) to store my music on, which I then access accross the network using winamp. The problem is that for some reason the files randomly rename themselves to their MS-DOS equivalent name, eg. Bloodhound Gang.mp3 becomes BLOODH~1.mp3. This obviously causes problems with my playlists as the files now have different names so the tracks get skipped.

Both machines are using XP Pro, and I've tried making all the files read only but this hasn't had much effect.

I'd appreciate any suggestions...

A:Files randomly renaming themselves

I am no expert, but when it renames files it is using the old file system instead of the Xp 32bit or Win NT file types.

you may need to find out your HD file type and change it. JMHO

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/files-randomly-renaming-themselves.402717/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi guys,

I have a bunch of mp3 files that I recovered off a bad drive but the file names are "File001, file 002" and so on.

The attributes of the file still show the file name, album, etc. Anyway to have all the files automatically renamed according to their titles?

Relevancy 52.89%

Hi,

Does anybody know how to rename a bunch of files in Windows 7 while ignoring the filetypes at the same time? In Windows XP this wasn't a problem, no matter what format the file had, the numbering would continue anyway. In Windows 7 the numbering starts over again when a file has a different filetype format.

For example:

WINDOWS XP:

file (1).jpg
file (2).mov
file (3).wma

WINDOWS 7:

file (1).jpg
file (1).mov
file (1).wma
file (2).jpg
file (2).mov
file (3).jpg
file (4).jpg

I want the numbering to continue in Windows 7... (NOT have multiple number ones or two's)

A:Renaming files issue

I always use a renaming utility like this one cause Windows 7 won't do that with it's native renaming utility:

Introduction - Bulk Rename Utility

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/181846-renaming-files-issue.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Ok im having a problem with my network. I am an accessing a pc on the network, if I rename a file or copy a file the change wont show up unless I refresh the screen. Does anyone know how I could fix this?

A:Moving, renaming files on another pc

Won't show up, or doesn't show up as quickly as you would like?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/moving-renaming-files-on-another-pc.467475/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi to anyone who can advise me files Renaming Solved: MP3 please I have loads of MP files Solved: Renaming MP3 files that are Solved: Renaming MP3 files all correctly titled Solved: Renaming MP3 files with name and year When I want to burn any to an audio CD I put the chosen ones in a folder and then add etc just in front of the titles This makes it easier when adding to Roxio Nero for burning I don t always get the order as I want it in one go so I therefore have to keep changing the sequence What I mean is I then change number to then maybe a different number agin to change the order to get it exactly as I want them to play on the CD before eventually burning Can you please tell me if keep renaming the files in this manner will actually harm the quality of the MP s It s just that lately I have noticed that some files sound a little bit bubbly and when I go and check on a backup disc the ones in question seem to sound better or OK I am sure it isn t my imagination What I used to do is put the MP s in order once copied to Nero but this takes far longer than getting the order right beforehand if you see what I mean I look forward to hearing from anyone Maureen nbsp

Relevancy 52.89%

I have an RCA Lyra MP3 player. When I download an audio file from a website I belong to (I am a paid member, it is not illegal and it's not music) it downloads by a certain name that the website has given it.

I then change the name on my computer and copy the file to my player. When I go to play the file the original name of the file is still there on the display. The name always begins with the name of the website and this player has a very small display so if I don't change the name I will never know what I am listening to.

If I open up the player contents on my computer it shows the filenames that I have given it....but when I play the files I see the original filenames.

This is very frustrating. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Relevancy 52.89%

Alright, since I got my computer back from a computer services place to get upgrades installed into my computer, everytime I try to name or rename a file, it says:

If you change a file name extension, the file may become unusable.

Are you sure you want to change it?

I know you have to add the file extension at the end (txt, exe, zip, etc.), but my how do I make it so I don't have to add the extension at the end every time?

Thanks,
Goomba.

A:Naming/Renaming files.

double click or goto My Computer (AKA enter windows Explorer.)

goto Tools > Folder Options > View (Tab)

in the list of advanced settings, find "Hide Extensions For Known File Types"

make sure that box is CHECKED.

that should solve it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/naming-renaming-files-200569.html
Relevancy 52.89%

My document files seem to be named incorrectly and I cannot seem to rectify it. An example of my problem is: I save a file into Documents and the name comes up as
C:\User\Lis\Documents\Documents\Documents\Documents\Documents\Documents\Documents\Documents\File Name (Currently there are 13 Document folders, a similar number of photos and contact files).
I have tried deleting the empty files and lost them, then I tried to copy and paste the files into to the previous document folder with the same result.
Can you help me. Thanks Lis

A:Locating and renaming files

Your folders are too deep for windows to handle correctly. I saw the same problem that was created by an end user on my windows 2003 file server. How'd you pull off mucking up your folder hiearchy like that? I would like to know because I can't even duplicate what some of you users are doing. It's actually amusing and befuddling at the same time.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/183491-locating-renaming-files.html
Relevancy 52.89%

i have a load of file in a directory that are called "A Branch.doc", "B branch.doc" and so on, so they all have the word branch at the end.

Is there an easy way to rename them all and remove the word "branch" from the file name.

I tried in command prompt:
Code:

ren "*branch.doc" "*.doc"

but no joy, any other thoughts?

A:Renaming lots of files

There are a bunch of freeware renaming utilities you can use. A couple are ReNamer and Rename Master.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/renaming-lots-of-files.740012/
Relevancy 52.89%

I have a computer running Vista are Files Excell themselves renaming home premium It is working as the main storage computer for other machines that access it s files It Excell Files are renaming themselves appears to be randomly renaming files that have been opened For example on file named quot finantial data quot was being worked on and later when I tried to open it again it no longer was in it s directory Instead there was a file named quot B quot When opened it was the correct file This appears to be only Excell files but we seldom use anything else This problem started yesterday I don t know if it is related but I also can t get several Windows updates to install A couple of the ones that won t update are KB and KB I have run a full scan with AVG I have done a SFC I have tried the updates as administrator and tried installing them individualy The updates don t concern me as much as the file name changes UNLESS they are a symptom of the problem Just in case a Hijack this log is attached Thank you

A:Excell Files are renaming themselves

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below I will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HEREAndPlease download DeFogger to your desktop.Double click DeFogger to run the tool. The application window will appear Click the Disable button to disable your CD Emulation drivers Click Yes to continue A 'Finished!' message will appear Click OK DeFogger will now ask to reboot the machine - click OKIMPORTANT! If you receive an error message while running DeFogger, please post the log defogger_disable which will appear on your desktop.ThenPlease download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main Mirror
This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped Mirror
This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.
GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/384249/excell-files-are-renaming-themselves/
Relevancy 52.89%

I want to update my music files with album info and art but everytime I do this, WMP also renames my files. I have them the way I like and do not want them renamed in any way.

Under Retrieve Information frm the Internet I have checked "only add missing information". Is this all I need to make sure the files don't get changed?

Pat

A:Stop WMP 11 From Renaming My Files

patetc said:

I want to update my music files with album info and art but everytime I do this, WMP also renames my files. I have them the way I like and do not want them renamed in any way.

Under Retrieve Information frm the Internet I have checked "only add missing information". Is this all I need to make sure the files don't get changed?

PatClick to expand...

That is the way I have mine. Nothing should get moved or renamed if all you have checked is that one box.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/stop-wmp-11-from-renaming-my-files.699949/
Relevancy 52.89%

I have enabled everything so that when the song is renamed in the media
library it renames it in the folder as well. The problem is i want a very
subtle difference in the way it renames them and i've tried looking under the
rip music tab and the file name button, but it doesnt allow me to do what i
want to do. This is how it looks:

Artist-Song Name

and i want it to look like this

Artist - Song Name

just that extra space between and after the -
is there anyway to do this?

A:question about renaming files on WMP

I don't think you can do it with WMP but you could use a general file renamer like Rename Master or a tag editor like Mp3/Tag Studio (if they're mp3's).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/question-about-renaming-files-on-wmp.594059/
Relevancy 52.89%

When i formatted it i chose the name "Haunted" now i need to change it to something else. I renamed my C:\ easy enough but im not sure on how or if i can change the USER File name.

Thanks ^_^

A:Renaming The User Files

Welcome
See answer by Kari.
created a new user but docs still saved in old user

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/161912-renaming-user-files.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I have a new PC and I am having trouble renaming files. For example jpeg pics and downloaded video clips. I right click on the file or picture and then a menu appears. I select rename and a little box appears and allows me to type in the new name but when I hit the enter key I get a warning that renaming the file extentiion may make the file unreadable and gives me an option of yes or no for renaming.
If I select yes the icon changes to a square with little coloured bits in it and the square has the top righthand conner folded over. The file will then not open.
On my old computer I changed the file names and picture names with no trouble with the right click method but now I can't.
Please can somone help.
I have xp home installed.
Thanks XBR.

Relevancy 52.46%

Would be good to have the following plan given the go ahead or have the holes pointed out in it I want to refresh my Laptop there's a few things that are a bit iffy on it I feel like a refresh might help it I've never actually refreshed my laptop before so it's a bit of image files Laptop, refresh DiskImage, pull disc off Create program files / uncertainty and a bit of learning My plan is to create a disk image using Drive Image XML Or should I use the built in Windows Option to my external HD Then after my Create DiskImage, refresh Laptop, pull files / program files off disc image computer has been refreshed to factory settings I'll mount the Disc Image to a different HD that's got more space than the Image will be and I'll then be able to pull the files off the Image These would be documents program files etc I don't know how this affects things such as the Path in System and security gt System gt Advanced system settings gt System Properties gt Environment variables I've added to that recently for Eclipse and Java so I'd like that to remain I'm guessing the process will be Create DiskImage, refresh Laptop, pull files / program files off disc image Create disc image Mount amp test Disc image Reset laptop to factory settings update Windows to Windows was originally copy x and x program folders over from the disc image Is this cool Am I missing stuff anything extra I should be aware of Cheers

A:Create DiskImage, refresh Laptop, pull files / program files off disc image

Anyone? 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/518099/create-diskimage-refresh-laptop-pull-files-program-files-off-disc-image/
Relevancy 52.03%

Has anyone ever figured out how to solve the slow response in Win7 when renaming files? There's quite a bit out there in net world about this issue and I have the same problem with my new computer. You can reboot and all is well...for a few days and then slow again on renaming files.

A:Slow response when renaming files

Hello jberenyi.

I've been using Windows 7 for a quite a while and I don't now nor ever have had any "delay" when I re-name folders / files; can you give us some examples what you're referring to?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/72668-slow-response-when-renaming-files.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I know how to change each file name individually but I was wondering if there was a way to cycle through the directory and change the file name. I have about 40 files, that I re-use on a weekly basis, and the naming convention they use is 1111_Name_Date.xls, I tried using the Right Function and taking the Right, 4, but the bad part is sometimes it is more than just 4 Leading characters. The only thing I want changed is the Date on the end. I want it to remove the old date, and add today's date. Is this possible?

Relevancy 52.03%

I'm currently in the process of putting all our old VHS tapes to MPEG format (then some of them will be put on DVD)

For some reason, I'm having quite a problem renaming them from thier default alpha numeric code to what I need to, it will tell me it can't rename the file because it is already in use/being viewed (it isn't) even when viewing a DIFFERENT video file with VLC media player or no file at all. Anyone know why?

A:Trouble renaming video files

You are using a TV card to import the VHS tapes to your computer, right?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/trouble-renaming-video-files-615530.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hey,

I have a bunch of folders containing photo sets, and each folder has a file named "cover.jpg" and I was wondering is there a program that will copy the "cover.jpg" file and rename it to include the folder name where it was copied from so that I end up with a folder containing

cover-SET01.jpg
cover-SET02.jpg
cover-SET03.jpg
cover-SET04.jpg
cover-SET05.jpg

where SET01 is the name of the folder from which the cover.jpg file was copied from.

A:batch coping and renaming files

Do you still need this solved. I think I can put something together for you.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/batch-coping-and-renaming-files-648470.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I have a folder here with a few hundred files from which a careless user over a long period of mindless use, removed the extensions.

Is there a way to add an extension to large batches of files in a single operation without changing the part of the name before the dot?

I really don't want to have to do this to several hundred files one-by-one.

Relevancy 52.03%

Hi, I have xp service pack 2. When I try to rename a file i get a warning that changing a file extension may cause the file to become unusable. If I go ahead and rename it anyway the file instantly changes format to one windows won't recognize. Is this a virus? Do I have a setting on or off that i shouldn't? Is windows possibly corrupt? Any help would be appreciated.

A:renaming files causes file to reformat

Hello and welcome to TSF

Click Start => My Computer, on the menu bar click Tools => Folder options, click on the tab View, tick the box hide extensions of known file types, click Apply => Ok.

Try renaming a file now.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/renaming-files-causes-file-to-reformat-200839.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Currently have 3 Drives F, G & H and Windows XP is been installed on F Drive and G and H Drive has all got Games and Softwares Installed.

When I try to do a clean install on H Drive (200 GB Free) it says Windows have found Old Windows Install Files and this would be re-named to Windows.old, now i dont have any Windows files installed on H Drive it has got games with like this H:/Program Files/Games is this the reason why it saying older windows files found and I dont want to renamed them as it would mean re-installing all games over again.

Any helps on this.

A:Install - files renaming to Window.old

Hello Dinjo, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You would need to install Windows 7 on a separate drive or partition than the H: drive if you want to keep the games and software installed on it. However, you will still need to reinstall the games in Windows 7 though. Installing Windows 7 on the H: drive would not keep the games intact after installation.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/19499-install-files-renaming-window-old.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Does anyone know how to Copy,Rename, External Files Within Access 97?

I used to know but when your 900 years old your memory does tend to go!!!

Cheers

Yoda

Relevancy 52.03%

i am archiving many old mac files from an nt server. the mac files' names contain a slash that appears as a |(pipe) symbol on NT. DOS sees it as a ? and i can't rename multiple files. i cannot copy these files to a cd unless i rename by getting rid of the | symbol or i replace it with a - (hyphen). right now, i am doing this one file at a time, and we are talking thousands of files. i tried rename wiz, but that understood the symbol like dos (?), and wouldn't work either. i need to be able to rename many files at once. can any one help?
thanks - staatsk

Relevancy 52.03%

Hi, I hope you can help me. Yesterday I noticed a strange problem occuring when I try to rename files. I get a message saying "If you change a file name extension, the file may become unusable. Are you sure you want to change it?"

If i click yes, it converts the file into some unusable file that i can't open.

I thought the problem may have been caused by a program I tried called CCleaner, which includes a registry cleaner. However, I kept backups of the deleted registry entries, and restored them when I noticed this problem. But that failed to solve it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 52.03%

Setup: Win 7 Home Premium SP 1 x64 on Dell Studio 1558.

In most directories, if I rename "file.jpg" to... "file.JPG" and hit return to commit the change, "file.jpg" is the result.

When I go to rename "file.jpg" again and the text is highlighted, awaiting my input, "file.jpg" turns into... "file.JPG", as I had originally renamed it.

If I rename "file.jpg" to... "file1.JPG", the change commits. I can then rename "file1.JPG" to... "file.JPG" without any problem.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? And what's the difference between upper and lowercase extensions anyways?

A:Renaming Files/File Extensions

In Windows, an extension is the same regardless of uppercase or lowercase. However, if you move this file to a Linux file system, JPG is not the same as jpg. *nix operating system files are case sensitive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/220678-renaming-files-file-extensions.html