Windows Support Forum

Hard drive and cdrom have power but aren't working

Q: Hard drive and cdrom have power but aren't working

I just installed a new motherboard power supply cpu etc I ve done this many times before and am quite perplexed at why my hard drive is not running My cdrom has the light on is getting power but it s not blinking Usually when this happens it s aren't and Hard power drive working have but cdrom because I ve gotten the IDE cable wacky in the wrong direction but I ve checked these things over and over My new cpu is working as is its fan and the power supply fan is also running I ve plugged in everything the way I always do but am getting nowhere but frustrated The reason I replaced these things was Hard drive and cdrom have power but aren't working because I got this static when I turned on my computer and it wouldn t boot Originally I unplugged the floppy and the static stopped and it worked for a couple of hours So logically I thought of the power supply Put that in still got the static so figured it was the connector on the motherboard So I ordered the new motherboard with the proper cpu fan and it all seems to be alive except my hard drive isn t running it does have heat warmth from the power however I m trying to be specific enough for you to help me Thank you so much in advance Sincerely Meli nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Hard drive and cdrom have power but aren't working

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 71.81%

Before I deleted the Lock Screen with password sign-in (I thought this might correct problem); that when I hit the Lock Screen to bring up the field to insert password that it would fade-out a bit. Shortly after my power settings were no longer taking hold and my PC desktop screen would stay on for all hours.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/441235-power-settings-screen-display-arent-working.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Bought my wife this computer for Christmas.  Apparently Dell has combined the power indicator light/hard drive activity light/ and battery status light into one single light on the front edge of computer.  My concern is that the light only comes on briefly when I first plug  in the power supply, then it goes out  and never lights again.  Even when the hard drive is writing or reading the light doesn't come on to show activity.  Is this normal?  I'm concerned as this is one way I've used to determine if things are happening on my computer as they should be.  If  the light is not designed to show hard drive activity when it occurs, what use is it?

A:Inspiron 5759 power/hard drive/battery light not working?

If you haven't found the answer to your question then this should help you.
Hold down the "Fn" key which is in between the Ctrl & Windows Key then press the "H" key.  This action will be required each time you re-boot the computer.

Don

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19669037
Relevancy 66.22%

Hello,

We have a very irritating problem. One of our users has IE10 installed on her Windows 7 laptop. When she tries to download any installer program e.g. WinRAR, Firefox etc., she receives the dropdown bar in IE. She right-clicks the bar and selects download this file and saves it to her desktop. It looks like it downloads successfully, but when she looks at her desktop, the downloaded executable isn't there. This happens when she tries to save the file to other folders as well. We tried disabling her antivirus program to see if that resolves the problem and it doesn't.

Does anyone know how to resolve this crazy issue??

Thanks

A:Downloaded Internet Programs Aren't Showing Up Anywhere on Hard Drive

Normally the default download location is the User's Downloads folder and remain there until changed in Options of the Download Manager, available by clicking on the IE Gear icon to access Tools>View Downloads.

Otherwise to have a file downloaded to Desktop would require choosing Save As in the individual Download dialogue popup.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/296657-downloaded-internet-programs-arent-showing-up-anywhere-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 65.79%

My husband added a 2nd hard drive to our computer, and since then, we've had issues with our CDrom drive. For awhile, it would just throw fits sometimes, like not opening or not reading a disc. However, now we can't get it to open at all. The light comes on and it makes noise like it's going to open, but it doesn't. Any suggestions? Oh, and I tried reinstalling drivers already but that didn't work.

Relevancy 65.79%

the computer shows a cdrom drive under not cdrom drive working! my computer but you can not see what is on the cd that is in the drive when you put a cd in the drive and close it the light flashes for about or times and thats all it does There are times when cdrom drive not working! it will give the name of the cd that is in the drive but you still can not see the content My son and i are thinking that this is the result of my nephew setting up an in home network so that three computers could play the same game at the same time I think he set up a virutual drive to allow the computer to run the game even though it was not in this computer maybe something like Deamon link or something this was done about years ago and it was about the time it stopped working but I did not realize anything was done to the computer by my nephew until my son mentioned it the other day I have had people try different cdrom drive in the machine but the results were the same I also did a search a few mins ago of all files for the word deamon and it came up zero Can someone please help me get this thing working it has been very frustrating nbsp

A:cdrom drive not working!

I found two files that are named deamon tools and deamon pro on my c drive. i misspelled deamon when i searched earlier. if i delete these files will that clear up my issue?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cdrom-drive-not-working.936679/
Relevancy 65.79%

I recently installed more memory to my computer and now my cd rom drive will not work. Please help

Relevancy 65.79%

hi my disk drives shows up on my computer but when i clik on it the windo go s wight but i still have my tool bars help i want my games on my computer

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cdrom-drive-not-working.853440/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi everyone I ve worked my way thru the forum and I ve only seen this thread started and not resolved I m putting together an old computer at work we re a nonprofit lots of legacy stuff Put an old hdd and cdrom The hdd will work without the cdrom but not with it I ve checked the jumpers they seem to be correct - hdd master cdrom slave at first but then I put them on their own IDE channels as primary master secondary master but nothing seems to work I ve taken out the old ribbon cables and tried new ones The cables are attached right pin in the right spot etc Is there something I m not thinking of The cdrom was working I had it in another machine that I pulled the hard drive out of to install into a more powerful box Hard CDROM with issues Drive it was my mail server Left the way it was it still didn t let me access the hard drive with the cdrom connected GAAAAAAAAAAAH Any help would be appreciated Joni nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

power outage fried boot sector 1 week ago - computer has been unplugged since then. cd drive quit working about 1 year ago, after last hard drive change. Installed new hard drive, borrowed working cd drive from same model computer at my office. Now when powering on, can't get to bios screen to set boot order. cd power light flashes and clicks. reinstalled old cd drive and get the same thing. the cd drives are not the same brand or model. old cd drive used to be recognized, would open and close, but would not read media. Is there any way to install from a usb cd?

A:install new hard drive without cdrom

can't get to bios screen to set boot order.Click to expand...

But does the BIOS detect the new CD/DVD drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/install-new-hard-drive-without-cdrom.1020137/
Relevancy 65.36%

OK, here's the problem. I had a new Mitsumi cdrom installed last year on my Gateway 120 Pentium. My hard drive just went bad so I installed a new one, identical to the one i had. I turn the computer back on with the system disks in the floppy and cd rom. Everything runs smooth but then the computer keeps saying it is looking for the cd rom. The problem is that the system disk contains the driver for the old cd rom. How do I load the driver for the new cd rom? I have the driver, at least the one the gateway folks told me was the right one. I know this is probably very simple but could someone give me step by step instructions. Thanks.

A:new hard drive on old computer with new cdrom

Sorry, not much good on restore type problems but curious

I take it your trying to use a gateway restore cd, is this correct.
Did you set the jumper on the new hard drive to master and format it.

What happens if you boot with a windows startup disk, is the cdrom drive seen then, can you access it from the dos prompt.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-hard-drive-on-old-computer-with-new-cdrom.48248/
Relevancy 65.36%

Is this possible, i have CD-RW drive and would like to copy
a data CD, any help appreciated....thanks folks.
Steve.

Relevancy 65.36%

If a CDROM is a slave to a hard drive, will the hard drive's access speed be slower (no faster than the access speed of the CDROM)?

Relevancy 64.93%

I recently was burning CDs and after about the 5th one, the CD Burner ejected one that was about 50% done. Since then I've not been able to burn another. I tried re-installing the driver, the program, but nothign seems to work. About a week later the CDRom drive stopped working as well.
When I turn the computer on it detects both drives, its only once I'm inside Win 98 that I cannot access them. The error message is something like internal error, or cannot access drive.
Any suggestions on how to correct this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Donna

Relevancy 64.5%

Hello I just put together a computer from old working parts that I had to create a spare from Detected; Drive is CDrom boot where HD? - Hard computer I m not very computer savvy so please direct all replies comments in laymen s terms Hard Drive Detected; boot from CDrom - where is HD? I booted up the computer and all looked good It detects my GB hard drive as the Primary Master I Hard Drive Detected; boot from CDrom - where is HD? went into setup and made the primary boot the CDrom I put my trusty genuine and legitimate Windows yes CD in the drive and rebooted It booted up no problem hard drive detected as before It booted from the CDrom just as expected On the screen Microsoft Windows Setup I chose Start Windows Setup from CD-ROM rather than start computer with CD ROM support After a moment I get a blue why is it always blue screen which reads quot Setup can not install Windows on your computer Your computer does not have a hard disk your hard disk is not functioning correctly or your hard disk requires a special driver - A few notes This is a hard drive that I put into my external case yesterday ran files from it copied files from it and formatted it FAT that s what it was originally In dos the CDrom is drive D the harddrive is drive A think because it is the only other accessible drive I disconnected the floppy disk drive Here is a Video I made of what all goes on New Computer Uh Oh and Oh Sad - YouTube I try to be thorough Thank you in advance for any ideas replies nbsp

Relevancy 64.07%

I recently reformatted my hard drive (which Ive done many times before). But I have stupidly deleted my CD Rom (d drive ) so cant reinstall any software.
Is there anyway of reversing this or reinstalling the cdrom?
Thanks

A:Reformatted my hard drive and deleted CDRom by mistake

You can't delete the CD-ROM drive, well you can but just reboot and it'll come back automatically. Can you provide more details on what you did, if it shows up in your BIOS, in Device Manager, or in My Computer. Also let us know if there are any errors listed for the CD-ROM drive or other devices in Device Manager. Also what is the exact make and model of your computer and what version of Windows did you reinstall.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reformatted-my-hard-drive-and-deleted-cdrom-by-mistake.1115198/
Relevancy 64.07%

My hard drive has been formatted. All drivers gone. attempted to install ms windows 98 with the cdrom. nothing happens. found the cdrom driver file on the web. installed it on the hard drive. (using old win95 boot disk to get to the c: prompt) I'm lost?

Relevancy 63.21%

I have a TOSHIBA Satellite L305-S5933. It has a 250gb of hard space. About 225gb after formatting. Its about two years old.

I had only 4.37gb of free space so I decided to free up some space. I deleted more than 50gb of movies from the drive and it still shows the same 4.37gb of free space. How can I fix this?

A:Solved: Large deletions aren't showing up as free hard drive space on Toshiba Laptop

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-large-deletions-arent-showing-up-as-free-hard-drive-space-on-toshiba-laptop.1021260/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi I am using Vista Home Premium 32bit.

I have two drives, 1 is a dvd rom, the other is a cd rom, the dvd says that ANYthing that I put in must be formated (dvd, game, drivers... you name it), the cdrom says nothing when I put a disk in.

what can I do to fix this?

A:Reformated my hard drive, the computer will not load game disks, in cdrom.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reformated-my-hard-drive-the-computer-will-not-load-game-disks-in-cdrom.906011/
Relevancy 62.78%

I have two, 1 is a dvd rom, the other is a cd rom, the dvd says that ANYthing that I put in must be formated (dvd, game, drivers... you name it), the cdrom says nothing when I put a disk in.

what can I do to fix this?

A:Reformated my hard drive, the computer will not load games disks, in cdrom.

Hello erick1,
Do you have any DVD/CD burning software, such as Roxio, or Macrium, or any other type of software connected with the DVD/CD drive ?.
If you do, disable it, or remove it, it is more than likely that it is something like that, interfering with your DVD/CD drive.
Good luck and post your results.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/271106-reformated-my-hard-drive-computer-will-not-load-games-disks-cdrom.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I had my computer crash and took it to a computer store and had new hard drive installed. I have windows xp and my cdrom drive will not read my disks. do you think it is a software issue? Can I try to fix it with help from this forum? Thanks

A:CDROM drive will not read new cdrom

Welcome to TSG!!

Was it like this from the repair shop? If so, return to them with a request for a fully functioning machine, as you were expecting one after paying them for their services.

If this came about since then, let us know. There are various things to try. (One might be to pop open the case and be sure the cable(s) didn't fall off in transport.) Can you see it in BIOS?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cdrom-drive-will-not-read-new-cdrom.1020048/
Relevancy 55.47%

I have my power plan set to Energy Star with display brightness set around 40% when on battery and 100% when plugged in. It seems to get reset periodically to the default which 40% for both battery and plugged in. I haven't been able to reliably reproduce the problem but every few days the plugged in setting gets reset to 40%. Is this a known problem with Windows 7?

A:Power plan settings aren't persistent

Hello Goob, and welcome to Seven Forums.

I've had this happen to me on my laptop a few times as well. It seems to be either happening after a graphics driver update, or after some unknown Windows Update that seems to reset this setting.

You might check your Windows Updates history to see if something has been installed when it happens next to see if you notice the same thing or not.

Hope this helps some,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/140613-power-plan-settings-arent-persistent.html
Relevancy 55.04%

My Not drive working Hard hard?HJTlog too Extremely normal. slow. computer has always been fast but recently like in the past couple of days whenever I click on firefox to bring up the browser the computer slows down to a literal standstill It can take up to a min for the browser to load The hard drive light becomes steadily lit and no other programs will work until the browser loads This doesn t happen when I load other programs only when I open firefox Stats Gateway notebook Win XP Media Center gig hard drive gig RAM Antivirus AVG Free Firewall Zone Alarm Free usually runs on medium HJT log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode Normal Running Extremely slow. Not normal. Hard drive working too hard?HJTlog processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system ZoneLabs vsmon exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe c program files common files logishrd lvmvfm LVPrcSrv exe C WINDOWS eHome ehRecvr exe C WINDOWS eHome ehSched exe C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe C Program Files Common Files New Boundary PrismXL PRISMXL SYS C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system dllhost exe C WINDOWS ehome ehtray exe C Program Files DriveIcon DriveIcon exe C WINDOWS AGRSMMSG exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C WINDOWS eHome ehmsas exe C Program Files Common Files LogiShrd LComMgr Communications Helper exe C Program Files Common Files Logitech LComMgr LVComSX exe C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exe C Program Files AIM aim exe C Program Files AIM aolsoftware exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgamsvr exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgemc exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgupsvc exe C Program Files Grisoft AVG avgcc exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - URLSearchHook Live TV toolbar - b a db -d a - -b b-f a cdf - C Program Files Live TV tbLive dll O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO Live TV toolbar - b a db -d a - -b b-f a cdf - C Program Files Live TV tbLive dll O - Toolbar Live TV toolbar - b a db -d a - -b b-f a cdf - C Program Files Live TV tbLive dll O - HKLM Run ehTray C WINDOWS ehome ehtray exe O - HKLM Run DriveIcons C Program Files DriveIcon DriveIcon exe O - HKLM Run AGRSMMSG AGRSMMSG exe O - HKLM Run SynTPEnh C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe installquiet nodetect O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKLM Run Adobe Photo Downloader quot C Program Files Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition Apps apdproxy exe quot O - HKLM Run Adobe Reader Speed Launcher quot C Program Files Adobe Reader Reader Reader sl exe quot O - HKLM Run LogitechCommunicationsManager quot C Program Files Common Files LogiShrd LComMgr Communications Helper exe quot O - HKLM Run LVCOMSX quot C Program Files Common Files Logitech LComMgr LVComSX exe quot O - HKLM Run ZoneAlarm Client quot C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe quot O - HKLM Run AVG CC C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgcc exe STARTUP O - HKCU Run BitTorrent quot C Program Files BitTorrent bittorrent exe quot --force start minimized O - HKCU Run LDM C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exe O - HKCU Run MSMSGS quot C Program Files Me... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/extremely-slow-not-normal-hard-drive-working-too-hard-hjtlog.630854/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi I am having trouble with the Power Plan Settings The default settings were not what I wanted so I have tried to change them several times I chose NEVER on all options saved them and even rebooted a couple times The settings in Ctrl Panel stay at what I changed them to but the computer does not recognize them It continually goes to sleep display goes down after minute of being idle I tried contacting the Live Chat explained my issues told her what I had already done and now was contacting them She didn't ask me any questions other than what I had done to troubleshoot and sent New Computer/Win aren't Plan settings recognized 7, Power me to a link that explains what I already knew and done several times No help at New Computer/Win 7, Power Plan settings aren't recognized all I've been searching for help on the net New Computer/Win 7, Power Plan settings aren't recognized and finally found this forum I am hoping that someone here has had the same issues and knows what I can do It also won't accept my change requiring a password when I sign into the computer I don't want to have to sign in changed that to NO but it still requires a password I also made sure my windows has all the updates Thanks for any help Nothing worse than reading in an idle mode only to have the screen New Computer/Win 7, Power Plan settings aren't recognized go down after minute requiring I sign back in Kathy

A:New Computer/Win 7, Power Plan settings aren't recognized

Do you have any bloatware of third party programs that might be set to mess with screen settings?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Please Run sfc /scan now using option 2 in this tutorial: SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Please post back the results.
Please indicate what message was displayed at the end:

Windows found no integrity violations

OR

Corrupt files were found, and windows was unable to fix them.

OR

Corrupt files were found, and windows successfully repaired them

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/338908-new-computer-win-7-power-plan-settings-arent-recognized.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I can t seem to figure out how to Down How Do Power My Hard I Drive? perform this operation so I m coming here for help I was told that I could go to control panel then power options then somehow command my hard drive to power down after so many minutes of inactivity All I would have to do is tap a key or wiggle my mouse to get it back up running This is supposed to be less stressful on my hard drive as it s on Right now my power scheme is always on monitor is always on hard disks is always on I m assuming hard dddisssks is the same as hard drive I do have a standby button on my keyboard What is the difference How Do I Power Down My Hard Drive? between standby mode versus doing something different with the power options in my control panel I did try the standby button last night the power button on my CPU flashed for a while then went back to its solid color as it is when I m working on my system How Do I Power Down My Hard Drive? Looking forward to some good input here as always Thank you honu

A:How Do I Power Down My Hard Drive?

The following is an excerpt from this article."Quick: What's the difference between putting your PC in Hibernate or Standby mode? Yeah, we weren't sure either. Luckily the Productivity Portfolio weblog schools us on the finer details of Windows XP power schemes. Using Standby: Your machine recovers quickly as your data is stored in RAM. The slower part is waking up the peripherals. Although your machine is in "standby" the power has been cut to items such as your hard drive and monitor. You're running your machine in a very low power mode, but it is still on. This mode can be useful if you're on a notebook and need to conserve your battery while you step away.With Hibernate: The big difference is that your PC has shut down and is not pulling power. Another difference is that your data is saved to your hard disk and not RAM. This makes it a safer, but slower option for shut down and resume.Not all PCs have the capability and are configured to Hibernate. If yours is, to see the Hibernate option on your XP shutdown screen, hold down the Shift key when you shut down."To enable hibernate go to the Control> Power Opttions> Click on the Hibernate tab and enable hibernate.To enable sleep mode right click on your desktop> click Properties> click on the Screensaver Tab> in the Monitor Power section click Power> when that window opens up, click the Power schemes tab . Under the section "Settings for Home/Office desk power schemes," change the setting for your monitor to turn off after ____ minutes. Under the section "Settings for Home/Office desk power schemes," change the setting for your monitor to turn off after ____ minutes. (Recommended time is 5 minutes). This means that if there is no activity on your computer for more than 5 minutes, the monitor will go into "sleep mode." As soon as you touch your keyboard or mouse, it will reactivate again.http://www.resourceconservation.mb.ca/wrw/...s/computer.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/121222/how-do-i-power-down-my-hard-drive/
Relevancy 53.75%

hi guys

i am looking for a hard drive that will be pluged in with fire wire well i will take usb if i have no choice that i can use with out having it pluged in as i want to use it with my laptop

anything 80gb or over will do the bigger the better

thanks
Proxy

A:looking for: power less hard drive

Hi,

Western Digital and Hitachi both have a range of hard drives that are USB powered and could suit.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss...rn+Digital+Passport+Hard+drive&Go.x=6&Go.y=11

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss...rds=Hitachi+portable+hard+drive&Go.x=5&Go.y=6

hth

Ceri

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/looking-for-power-less-hard-drive.563381/
Relevancy 53.75%

Well shoot this is probably gonna be the best place to ask besides maybe instructables com or howardforums But seeing as how I hardly meddle in those places I will start here My situation - I have softmodded my Wii and am currently using a gig IDE hard drive to run disk backups of a few games that I own For data I use a IDE IDE SATA to USB adapter I got off of ebay Works great But the low price it did not include a power cable To power the drive I found out that you can short the green wire with any black wire on the pin block of a computer PSU to have it power on when it is plugged in Using a molex lead I power the harddrive However drive Power USB with IDE hard this is very cumbersome What I want to do is use a combination of the usb ports on my Wii Power IDE hard drive with USB and an external USB battery I made altoids battery charger runs on x NiMH rechargeable AA s The hard drive needs vDC over the red wire A grounds and vDC A over the Power IDE hard drive with USB yellow wire My current idea is this might actually work Use the altoids box to provide the v it actually outs v but for all purposes it has charged whatever I throw at it and use the Wii usb ports or NiMH batteries v to provide the other v one batery would give and would give I suppose I need to get my father s multimeter for this project Anyway does anyone have some solid ideas for this OH ALSO ONE BIG Power IDE hard drive with USB THING - As I stated the Wii has USB ports One is specific for some wii things but the other one can work with other peripherals it isnt supposed to but with certain modifications to the OS it does since the nd port is what handles the data between the wii and the hdd could I quot share quot the power or could I just send the data wires to the hdd and route the power wires elsewhere EDIT - meh this is going to be more trouble than I am looking for having to wire everything and keep recharging batteries New long story short - anyone know how to power a drive without using a pc power supply nbsp

A:Power IDE hard drive with USB

You will need a device which is able to provide the power. It is designed to expect certain connetions to those points on the IDE device
Or you can put it in a USB external enclosure, once it is formatted and working properly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-ide-hard-drive-with-usb.149829/
Relevancy 53.75%

The pin on my hard drive broke for the +5 power connector.
Can I replace the board and if so what is it called?

A:hard drive power

It's called the circuitboard. To replace it you will need to take the circuitboard from another identical hard disk, they just screw on and are easy enough to swap. It might be easier to get someone to solder the +5V connector back, though.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-power.368759/
Relevancy 53.75%

My CD drive isn't reading CD's. I checked it out and it says its working fine but when I put a disk in it says there isn't one there. Help!

A:Cd's aren't working!

Hi Claudia, welcome to TSG....

I'll move this to the hardware forum....

What's the history of the cdrom, has it ever worked, has it been cleaned lately?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cds-arent-working.55582/
Relevancy 53.32%

Im puzzled I have built a few pc s with no probs this last one has me stumped and any help would be appreciated greatly here we go let me give sys specs first msi k n delta lan xp barton fsb cpu dual channel memory fx vid card maxtor gig drive and floppy and cdrw xp pro os The system works gr then it will lock up and I have to hit reset and sometimes it starts back up fine and others I dont find the hard drive in bios I power down and remove ide cable and reinsert the cable and that works sometimes and sometimes not I mess with cables some then it will work Ive replaced the or drive power Hard supply? cable several times with same results so motherboard Hard drive or power supply? was still under warranty so I got a new mob and still have the problem is the problem a bad hard drive or power supply help please very annoying problem Thx Hard drive or power supply? Dace nbsp

A:Hard drive or power supply?

I'd put money on a software problem. Is there anything specific that causes the lockups? Like opening a browser or running a game? Without a specific trigger for an error it's harder to troubleshoot. Two things you can try: first is safe mode. This will load generic drivers so you might quickly identify if it's software or hardware. Use your error trigger if you've got one. Once you've done that, you can move on. Second is identifying the offending driver or component. For software, you must uninstall drivers one at a time. I'd start with simple stuff like mice and sound. Reboot after each uninstall, and again, use the trigger. For hardware you've got to physically remove things one at a time. Same deal, reboot after each, until you've defined the problem.

One more thing, have a look at the event viewer. right click my computer, select manage, and it should be there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-or-power-supply.284442/
Relevancy 53.32%

I install a new modem in my system and while inside i accidently unplugged the wiring to power switch, can any one help me get them in the right order... i have NO power at all to system...any help will be greatly appreciated... thanks tj

Relevancy 53.32%

Hi,

I've just bought a new SATA Seagate 500gb internal hard drive as an upgrade, I currently have an 80gb SATA seagate as my main drive but this is full. I can see where to connect the new drive to my motherboard, however I can't understand how to connect the new drive to my current power supply.

Do I need to completely unscrew the power supply and all will become obvious?

I'm a little reluctant about doing that as it has a sticker on saying do not open, non servicable parts inside!

Any help would be most appreciated!

A:New Hard Drive, Old Power Supply help

You need this adapter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...01002&Tpk=4+pin+molex+to+sata+power+connector

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-hard-drive-old-power-supply-help.611091/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have compact presario 6000-windows xp hard drive.When you turn the power "on" it does'nt hold the power and it shut off after one second.
Can you tell what are the possible problems of my computer?
The power led in the back is lit when you plug it in the power cable.

A:Hard drive power does'nt Hold.

Hi Labjohnny, please go here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/siteHome?lc=en&cc=uk

see if this helps resolve or detect the problem with pc?

Post back with results please.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-power-doesnt-hold-361390.html
Relevancy 53.32%

My computer was not powering on. Upon diagnosing I found that when I disconnect the power cable from the Hard Drive (SATA) the system gets powered on. What can be the cause of that?

I have important data on the drive. Someone told me if thats the case the hard drive may have failed and the data cannot be recovered by any cheap and easy method!

What do I do?

Relevancy 53.32%

Hello, My dad plug the wrong cable on the hard drive, and then he smells the smoke, and assumes that its a idk whats it called, its something like this one that is damage

The data in the hard drive is 100% fine, no data losses occur, is there a way to get his data recover?

Thanks

Relevancy 53.32%

I have an older Dell PC and I ran into a roadblock while trying to add a second SATA hard 2nd cables power drive hard & drive The problem is with the available power cables Its my understanding that the drives need to be hooked up in series in addition to setting the pins on the slave drive in order for them to function correctly Is this right The one spare power cable I have with series connectors is too 2nd hard drive & power cables short to reach the bottom of the case where the drives are its actually designed for CD DVD roms and a floppy drive but I m sure it would work if it could reach I spent a while going through newegg ca s inventory and unfortunately I can only find Y-cord splitters which would put the drives in parallel not series Would anyone be able to help me find what I need Secondly I was wondering what the difference between the and wire power cables My system has wire cables red orange black black white while all of the ones I see on newegg are four wire cables Are they interchangeable or would I need a converter Any help or clarification would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:2nd hard drive & power cables

SATA drives have no slave or master designation, and no need to set jumpers.
For power, you need a Molex/SATA adapter like this one:
http://www.satacables.com/html/molex-to-sata-power-15-pin-ada.html
Don't worry about Parallel/Series.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2nd-hard-drive-power-cables.873405/
Relevancy 53.32%

My system is a Dell Dimension 4700, with a 305W power supply(I know its low, but it works) I'm rather inclined to investing in a 1-2 TB Internal hard drive. I've looked at the dimensions of my current one(160GB),and the power/connectors for it, and adding a 2nd drive seems feasable. I'm just slightly leery if internal drives require more power. Any answers out there?

A:Enough Power for Terrabyte Hard Drive?

Hard drives require very little power to operate. Just go to the drive manufacturers site for the drive you are considering and the site should give you all the power specs.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/enough-power-for-terrabyte-hard-drive.897369/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi I went to the lab to work on a digital photo project today and my external hard drive won t turn on It is a Coltech and says quot drive external power!!! has HELP! hard no My quot Hard Drive Enclosure quot on it It s one of the ones that has a USB and a power cord to plug into an outlet and an on off switch to turn on the power So I plugged it in put the USB into the iMAC I m using turned on the switch and it won t turn on no power at all normally it makes little noises when it turns on but nothing I checked all the connections both ends of the power cord and USB I tried it in another iMac I tried plugging a desk lamp into the wall to see if it was the electrical outlet everything HELP! My external hard drive has no power!!! was fine HELP my project is due on tuesday and all my HELP! My external hard drive has no power!!! photos and work are on my external hard drive Thanks Kaitlyn nbsp

A:HELP! My external hard drive has no power!!!

It might just be the power adapter or the enclosure that has died. You might be able to remove the hard drive from the enclosure and either install it internally in a computer or put it into a new enclosure. Most computer places sell enclosures if you need it in a hurry. Hopefully its not the hard drive inside the enclosure that has failed, in which case you hopefully have the all-important backups of your data.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-my-external-hard-drive-has-no-power.1043838/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have a 430watt power supply from a former computer that I am trying to use to power two 3 1/2 inch hard drives, which I have connected to IDE to USB adapters. The power supply will not power up when I turn the power supply switch on. I think think that the two hard drives are not drawing enough power to enable the power supply to activate. Any suggestions, other than buying individual power supply adapters for each drive? I do have one individual power supply and the drive works when connected to that. Will additional load on the power supply make a difference, and if so, how do I add that load?

Relevancy 53.32%

Here s the problem My old internal IDE hard drive is in a computer that has power problems I know this because there is the smell of smoke inside coming from the power supply This computer was given to me The computer will not power on but the hard drive is supposed to be good I ve swapped when On Hard PC will not Recovery Power Drive out the power supply with Hard Drive Recovery when PC will not Power On a known good one and therefore have isolated the problem as either a button or button wiring problem button Hard Drive Recovery when PC will not Power On will not fire As you know whenever there s a power problem it is also possible that there s also a motherboard problem so fixing it so that the hard drive works in this system may not be possible and if it is then it maybe akin to buying another PC I have another PC However I know that most hard drives are not swappable into other systems How can I at least recover those files and after that implement that drive into Windows as a second drive I know about jumper settings and hookups Any other help would be appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Hard Drive Recovery when PC will not Power On

Most HD's are not swap'able into other systems as the Primary, or C: drive. They can be attached as a slave drive, or on the secondary controller. So if you do have access to another PC, put the drive in as a slave to the current master. Then you can copy off any data you want....that's not corrupted.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-recovery-when-pc-will-not-power-on.556308/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hey guys

I have a Maxtor Hard Drive hooked up to my Mac Book Pro and the other day (midway through using it!) it lost power supply, By this I mean the disk has ceased to spin and the light on the hard drive has gone out. I think it is a fault with the power input and I need a second opinion. It is not a fuse in plug as I have changed power leads but there is a power inverter before the power lead gets to the hard drive - what is the chances its a fault with this - there is a light on the power pack but it flickers when I plug it into the drive yet the hd doesn't move, light up or even fart!

Help!

Thanks Tom

A:Maxtor Hard Drive - no power!

What Model Maxtor External is this? I had a Maxtor PS3000 die on me, it turned out to the electronics in the enclosure died but the drive itself was fine. Ended up installing it interrnal in one of my systems.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/maxtor-hard-drive-no-power.916694/
Relevancy 53.32%

Just today, while I was going on YouTube to watch some videos, I turned on my speakers and played the video. For some reason, the sound didn't come out. I turned the speakers on and off, but that didn't work. I unplugged the wire hooking it up to the computer, but that didn't work either.

Please, someone help me fix this problem. I don't want to resort to buying new ones.

A:Speakers aren't working

Why not start with some details about the configuration? Also, did you try plugging earphones in the speaker jack to see if it's the computer or the speakers? I'd do that before I bought new speakers!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/speakers-arent-working.691053/
Relevancy 53.32%

example:

please help!

A:the colors aren't working

Hi ... Welcome to Seven Forums ... Is your issue just related to Youtube ? ...

Does it happen in all Browsers or just Chrome ? ...

Please fill in your System Specs ... The Link below will help you achieve this ...
System Info - See Your System Specs

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/376136-colors-arent-working.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hey, so somehow I got websave on my computer, and it was really annoying so I downloaded adwcleaner to fix it, then I ran the software then restarted my computer. When I restarted, I couldn't open mozilla, so I deleted it then used internet explorer (which works fine) to redownload it. That didn't work so I tried google chrome. That didn't work either. In both cases when I tried opening the browser I opened windows task manager to see what was going on. Both times the browser would load up to about 2000 K then stop, at the same time it was loading, windows problem reporting would load to about the same memory the stop suddenly as well. I don't know what the problem is... Please help me. Thank you

A:Browsers aren't working

Try starting Firefox in Safe Mode. Hold down the Shift Key while starting Firefox. You may have a add-on that is keeping Firefox from starting.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f131/browsers-arent-working-802410.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Ill start with hardware specs Im using a HP Pavilion dv ea running Windows Ultimate Intel Core Duo CPU T GHz Typing this off System Info I havent really learnt anything about hardware but I'm assuming this is all you need to Aren't Programs Working? know Right I have Programs Aren't Working? a gb hard drive a few days Programs Aren't Working? ago I decided to install WoW after years of not playing it last time I played it required about gb to install and I had about gb left so I thought I'd just install and it'd be fine but no As I began to install I had a message saying I needed at least gb free so I decided to wipe about gb of music and gb of software since I was freeing up space I thought I'd delete things I didn't need and since doing so my laptop has turned on me The only changes made to Programs Aren't Working? my laptop have been the deletion of music and some un-needed software and the installation of WoW surely this wouldn't mess my laptop up So after rebooting following the installation of WoW I noticed that my CPU and weather 'gadget' had kind of disappeared the icon to move them was still there but the interface wasn't I believe it's called an interface haha The CPU gadget was just like a small white box and the weather one was just not there But this is the least of my problems Since then by the way the WoW installation was nights ago - Christmas night well as of today my Windows Media Player refuses to work the mouse cursor shows signs of loading for about a second but the program doesn't open I have googled but no luck with what's wrong About an hour ago I turned the laptop off to shower let it cool down for a bit - HP Pavilion overheat when I turned it back on my Windows Live Messenger wouldn't start either Its doing the same thing Windows Media Player is doing I have absolutely no idea what could be wrong hopefully someone here knows And whilst I'm here I have another issue which may just be programming errors or my laptop could be screwed When I bought this laptop about years ago it had gb RAM installed it used to be really fast but recently it has been running pretty slow So whilst looking at System Information according to 'Glary Utilities' earlier well as I started this post I noticed 'Memory - MB Speed ' I'm not sure what the Speed part means but according to the System Info in Windows control panel my installed memory is gb how is this possible If anyone can help me with this too I'd be really really grateful especially if my laptop runs better haha Thanks for any help in advance D

Relevancy 53.32%

i reinstalled windows xp professional because of viruses. Now for some reason i cannot change my video settings and the display adapters arent showing up in my device manager. there is no display adapter tab. Also i cann ot get my speakers to work. the computer doesnt see that i am connecting speakers in the back of my computer but it does recognize my headset that is pluggged into the front.

A:Speakers aren't working

Did you reinstall all of the motherboard drivers and chipset drivers? These would all have to reinstalled after a fresh reinstallation of windows.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/speakers-arent-working.896694/
Relevancy 53.32%

So, my speaker drivers are updated and installed. My speakers are plugged in correctly ( I think). If I put the speaker at full blast I can hear the on, but no music or sound. Help please!! I can be reached on AIM at Illidansowner

Or you can just post here

A:Speakers aren't working :(

Two things to try left click on speaker icon in task bar and see if mute is checked for some reason this happens fairly often if it is uncheck it. Did the speakers ever work? Recheck all connections and try a system restore back to when they worked All this is assuming you're using xp.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/speakers-arent-working.595177/
Relevancy 53.32%

Very often when I click on links my desktop goes absolutely nowhere. The link will change color as if it recognizes the attempt, but nothing happens. The links are valid and working. My laptop has no problem opening these same links. Please help me if you know what is happening. I have searched my settings but I have not found an option to turn the links on or off.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/90677/some-links-arent-working/
Relevancy 53.32%

So I have a laptop which is an Hp probook in which my webcam isn't working. It happened like 2 months ago. I started to check for every solution but nothing worked, then I bought a new webcam so that maybe it works but it also didn't work. I checked the device manager and it says that the device is working properly for both of the webcams but when I check it with the hp camera it tells me that the camera is either used by another software or is not connected. it also doesn't work on other stuff like skype and fb and others. Can somebody help me please.

A:My webcams aren't working

You may need to restore the laptop to a factory condition by using the HP restore feature...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-webcams-arent-working.195408/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have total USB ports built into my computer Two in the front and four in the back They have magically stopped working I cannot connect to the net with it using my USB network adapter it will not recognize my external HDD though ports my USB aren't working??? Why this laptop does it will not recognize my MP player It will however recognize my XBOX controller I have been using forever and a day This problem just happened within the past hrs of me posting this At first I thought it might be a virus preventing my from Why aren't my USB ports working??? using my USB ports but I ve been doing some research and other people have had this problem almost I am running Windows XP SP I have checked the device manager and it says that everything is running correctly When I unplug a USB device and plug it back in a small usb icon appears next to the clock I double click on it and brings up a window that says that there is an quot unknown device quot plugged in I ve tried reinstalling the drivers and nothing seems to help The strangest thing about this whole problem is that they all didn t go bad at the same time First it was the front two then the others went bad When the front two went bad I was still able to connect to the net using my usb network adapter which was plugged into the back Now none of them work I m very frustrated because I cannot afford to get anything fixed I m quite poor I only have net because it comes free with the apt complex I live in Please help me Thank you in advance nbsp

A:Why aren't my USB ports working???

Have you tried doing a system restore to a date prior to when the problem started?
vicks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/why-arent-my-usb-ports-working.801931/
Relevancy 53.32%

icons such as internet explorer are now responisve when trying to open,

any ideas......

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/icons-arent-working-325113.html
Relevancy 53.32%

A couple days ago my ports started acting odd getting weird disconnectinos here and there and now nothing will connect at all All the ports give me an error of quot USB Device Not Recognized quot I'm not using any new devices and these devices have been in use for about a year now They do not work in Safe Mode either Things I've tried - Uninstall Reinstall all the drivers for the USB Hubs and the drivers for the external USB devices - Reformat - Cleaning out all the ports with compressed air Working Aren't USB Ports Other information about my computer HP Pavillion dv z Entertainment Notebook Windows Vista Home Premium GB RAM Ghz AMD Turion x Nvidia GeForce Go MB Devices Used Western Digital GB Essential Edition External Hard Drive Logitech Wireless Keyboard Mouse Reciever Logitech Dual Action Joypad If anyone has any kind of help it'd be appreciated I'm just hoping this isn't a hardware issue even though it's becoming apparent that it very well might be

A:USB Ports Aren't Working

There can be many explanations for this, probably most commonly a virus of some sort. Or, there might be a problem within your computer, depending on how everything is connected. If it becomes necessary, you may need to bring it into a repair shop.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/usb-ports-arent-working-221349.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I have upgraded from Win8 to 8.1 and still doesn't work. can someone please help me? I use this laptop for work and school! Have also been advised to upgrade the BIOS, which I don't really know the importance and I have done it. Still doesn't work! Help me Acer family... 

http://community.acer.com/t5/E-and-M-Series-Laptops/My-E1-510-ports-aren-t-working/td-p/452298
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello

My Home page works, but when I tab to another page it will not connect at all

but firefox works when I tab a page

IE 7 worked Saturday night and then Sunday morning , only page working was home page
thanks

A:Tab Pages aren't working

Hi and welcome to TSF try resetting IE How to reset Internet Explorer settings

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/tab-pages-arent-working-664988.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I recently got given a Microsoft Wireless MultiMedia Keyboard 1.1 Model: 1014

I plugged it in and went to windows update, it installed the keyboard and all working.

Now i have a program that i want to configure the F1 keys to make them do something in the program, I've done this before on my old keyboard but this time it isn't recognising.... F2 key is recognised as CTRL+Z

I've downloaded the latest 64 bit driver from MS website and its not helped.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Dan

A:F2 F3 F4..... Keys aren't working

Hello,

Do I understand correctly that those keys are not detected correctly at all?

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/57667-f2-f3-f4-keys-arent-working.html
Relevancy 53.32%

For the past few months I ve had problems with some of my quot security quot shortcuts It started when I tried to open AVG and run a scan When I click on the icon I get a pop up stating the quot program working.... Some shortcuts aren't exe quot associated with the icon has changed or moved and do I want to delete the icon I noticed that I had an AVG update come in prior to this problem so I figured it was an AVG problem and I have been working with their customer support people to try and fix it I ve also noticed that other quot security quot programs have Some shortcuts aren't working.... the same problem When I click on quot malwarebytes quot and quot whatsrunning quot I get the same box I just downloaded superantispyware and tried to run it but had the same problem with the desktop Some shortcuts aren't working.... icon I have Spyware Terminator and its working fine I haven t found any other programs that are having the same issues The tech I ve been working with at AVG has had me run uninstall and other programs trying to find the issue but we ve gotten nowhere I can t open AVG to run a scan I get the error box noted above but when I go to my Security Center it shows that quot AVG reports up to date and active quot I haven t been able to reinstall AVG because of an error with a program in Firefox called Chrome I just need some advice on how to fix the problem with the missing or moved programs so my shortcuts will work I don t believe its a virus I ve used Spy Terminator numerous times and its not finding any problems

A:Some shortcuts aren't working....

"Chrome" is a Google browserhttp://www.google.com/chrome/index.html?hl...p;utm_medium=ha

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/215310/some-shortcuts-arent-working/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hey Gang I m using a store brand of DVDRW I purchased them several months ago Recently I recorded some movies on to several of them At the time they worked Disks Aren't Working DVD-R fine Today I tried them again on my DVD-R Disks Aren't Working PC DVD-R Disks Aren't Working DVDRW and they didn t show up I cleaned them and they showed up as a mpg that didnt play They should be VOB files Right now I get the error saying quot E is not accessible Incorrect function quot I then put them in my TV-DVD player and I got a message that no disk was found Is there anything I can do to restore these files Not all the disks have this problem It seems to happen with the disks I recorded in the last couple of days I used Nero to record them I flashed my hardware recently to accomodate the newer disks When this started happening I flashed them again downward Still no joy I hear some kind of weird sound coming out of the DVD player when I tried to play them I to sounds like it is trying to grab hold of something but having no luck nbsp

A:DVD-R Disks Aren't Working

I'm using a store brand of DVDRW.Click to expand...

Always buy quality media. Store brands usually aren't. Also, DVDRW media, isn't very reliable. Use DVD-R as you listed in the title of the thread. You can try this, but I don't think it's gonna fix your problem. I think your problem is the media you used.

Go into your Device Manager, and find your drive. Right click on it, and choose "Uninstall". After it uninstalls, reboot, and let Windows detect new hardware, and install new a driver for you.

I have tried to tell people that this is what happens when you use Memorex, Khypermedia, and most store brands of media (mostly any media made in Taiwan. Verbatim is the exception). They record ok, and look ok the first time or two you watch them. But when you go back, to watch them again, they may be unwatchable. When buying blank dvds, look on the package for "Made In Japan". It's usually near the bar code. That's not saying you'll never have problems. But you'll have a lot less problems associated with bad media. Sony, Maxell,and Fuji, are good brands, if you get the ones "Made In Japan" (MIJ). MIJ Fuji discs are getting very hard to find though. Verbatim is the only Taiwan made (MIT) media, you should consider.

If the reinstall of the hardware, through the device manager works, I'd copy your discs over to better media, while you can. If it doesn't, I don't think there's much you can do to save what you've burned. I think most software used to encode and burn dvds, puts the files in a folder, on your hard drive. You may find the files for one burned dvd. If you used the same software to do all the dvds, it uses the same folder and overwrites what's in it, each time you do another dvd. That's why I say you might find files for one dvd you burned.
Good luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-r-disks-arent-working.547886/
Relevancy 53.32%

OK, so I'll try to keep this as brief as I can,

I have a L4VXA2 motherboard and operate on windows XP SP3. (if that info is needed at all)

Currently, my usb ports have not been recognizing anything I plug into them.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers twice, still nothing works.
When I try and fix it, it keeps telling me the INF is formatted for windows 95 or later (or something like that)

So now, I have downloaded a VIA USB 2.0 Host Controller, extracted the files, everything was going fine, but now the setup wont run! For the first few times I clicked on it, it kept saying "the setup has detected that unInstallShield is in use. Please close uninstall shield and restart setup Error 432". I rebooted the computer and tried again multiple times. Now the error message doesn't even show up.

I have NO idea what to do, please, PLEASE help :'(

A:My USB ports aren't working???

Welcome to TSF....

What is the make and model of computer?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/my-usb-ports-arent-working-298984.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi, this is my first post and im not sure if this is the right forum for my problem.
So I have this 6 year old laptop, I recently did a clean windows XP reinstall for it. After installing Internet, Graphics and Audio drivers, some programs still don't work. They either have graphics problems or they crash at start. Some don't even start up, although they are in the processes list in task manager
They work perfectly in my other computer also running XP.

Why don't they work with this one?

If you need any additional details then just ask, but also tell me how to find them.

Relevancy 53.32%

Hi all Can someone tell me why my icon pix pix aren't icon working aren't working right In Win Pro in the 'properties' context menu for shortcuts I lt click gt on the 'customize' icon pix aren't working tab then click lt change icon gt lt browse gt navigate icon pix aren't working to my icons folder click icon pix aren't working on the icon image file I want for this shortcut then a selection window appears showing the image with it already selected I click lt OK gt and now I see the selected image on the properties window as far as I know these are the proper steps to assign a custom image to a shortcut right I know these same steps worked a few days ago on another group of shortcuts However when I click lt apply gt lt lt lt nothing gt gt gt happens consequently when I click lt OK gt lt lt lt nothing gt gt gt happens again I repeat these same steps several times with always the same lt lt lt nothing gt gt gt happens results Can anyone tell me why this is happening Also this same thing occurs a lot even when selecting the default icon images in the Windows default image path but when and IF this happens I'll select a different icon image and this will often but not ALL the time work right amp assign the image to the shortcut Why is this

A:icon pix aren't working

Hi,

Try clearing and rebuilding the Icon Cache

Open an elevated command prompt in Windows 7http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-elevated-command-prompt/
or
Open an elevated command prompt in Windows 8http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/open-an-elevated-command-prompt-in-windows-8/

Copy/Paste or Type each command in Section A. one at a time and press <Enter> after each.
The last line will force the computer to shutdown!
(Make sure you save all of your work before executing these lines)!

Section A.
ie4uinit.exe -ClearIconCache <Enter>

taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F <Enter>

DEL "%localappdata%\IconCache.db" /A <Enter>

shutdown /r /f /t 00 <Enter>

Best of luck and Please keep BC posted!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/553040/icon-pix-arent-working/
Relevancy 53.32%

The stereo-boxes of my computer are not working This could be just a hardware problem but I just doubt it Could aren't My working stereoboxes anyone just look at My stereoboxes aren't working my log even if it's just to humor me Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINNT System smss exeC WINNT system winlogon exeC WINNT system services exeC WINNT system lsass exeC WINNT system svchost exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exeC WINNT system spoolsv exeC WINNT System svchost exeC WINNT system hidserv exeC Program Files Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exeC WINNT system regsvc exeC Program Files Norton AntiVirus SAVScan exeC WINNT system MSTask exeC WINNT system stisvc exeC WINNT System WBEM WinMgmt exeC WINNT Explorer EXEC WINNT System MsPMSPSv exeC WINNT system svchost exeC Program Files Ahead InCD InCD exeC Program Files Logitech iTouch iTouch exeC WINNT AGRSMMSG exeC Program Files Logitech MouseWare system em exec exeC Program Files ScanSoft OmniPageSE opware exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exeC Program Files QuickTime qttask exeC Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exeC Program Files FinePixViewer QuickDCF exeC WINNT system wuauclt exeC unzipped hijackthis HijackThis exeO - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper ocxO - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dllO - Toolbar msdxmLC dll - amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINNT System msdxm ocxO - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dllO - HKLM Run Synchronization Manager mobsync exe logonO - HKLM Run NeroCheck C WINNT System NeroCheck exeO - HKLM Run InCD C Program Files Ahead InCD InCD exeO - HKLM Run c pd C WINNT SYSTEM cmlink exe RunServices Device cpipe- c pdO - HKLM Run zBrowser Launcher C Program Files Logitech iTouch iTouch exeO - HKLM Run Logitech Utility Logi MwX ExeO - HKLM Run AGRSMMSG AGRSMMSG exeO - HKLM Run REGSHAVE C Program Files REGSHAVE REGSHAVE EXE AUTORUNO - HKLM Run Omnipage C Program Files ScanSoft OmniPageSE opware exeO - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKLM Run Symantec NetDriver Monitor C PROGRA SYMNET SNDMon exe ConsumerO - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottimeO - HKLM Run SSC UserPrompt C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared Security Center UsrPrmpt exeO - HKCU Run LDM C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exeO - Global Startup Exif Launcher lnk C Program Files FinePixViewer QuickDCF exeO - Global Startup Logitech Desktop Messenger lnk C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LDMConf exeO - Global Startup Microsoft Office lnk C Program Files Microsoft Office Office OSA EXEO - Plugin for pdf C Program Files Internet Explorer PLUGINS nppdf dllO - Plugin for spop C Program Files Internet Explorer Plugins NPDocBox dllO - Trusted Zone http www hotmail comO - Trusted Zone http www hotmail com O - Trusted Zone http windowsupdate microsoft com O - DPF E E - AF- - C -A ADCBF BD HouseCall Control - http housecall trendmicro com housecall xscan cabO - DPF B-B - D-A D -FCFDF E C WUWebControl Class - http update microsoft com windowsupdate b O - DPF DD -B E - C -B F-F D EA AvxScanOnline Control - http www bitdefender com scan Msie bitdefender cabO - DPF A A - DA - DAF-B - F E E ActiveScan Installer Class - http www pandasoftware com activescan as asinst cabO - Protocol bw - - FEA- -AD - A F - C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program BWPlugProtocol- dllO - Protocol bw s - - FEA- -AD - A F - C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program BWPlugProtocol- dllO - Protocol bw- - - FEA- -AD - A F - C Program Files L... Read more

A:My stereoboxes aren't working

My boxes are working again
I just turned on my computer and they were functioning!
Sorry for being paranoid

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/29883/my-stereoboxes-arent-working/
Relevancy 53.32%

I had this problem since I upgraded to Vista. All softwares I used before in Windows XP worked without any problem, but most of them now support Vista and they are giving me tons of problems everyday.
What is this happening?

A:Why softwares aren't working?

Software makers have got to rewrite their code to make it work with Vista. Keep checking the maker of the software websites for Vista updates.
Raj

http://www.vistax64.com/software/113916-why-softwares-arent-working.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Ok so here's the deal I have a Powerspec V305,

and its not the greatest computer ever, but it works pretty decently w/o too much error. Three days ago I installed Registry Mechanic and now my USB ports in front don't work, the ones in the rear, do work. but the ones in front where I very often attach my Iphone and camera no longer work at all it seems. I used the restore option on the registry mechanic...no luck...I did a complete system restore no luck. Any ideas?

A:My USB ports aren't working...PLEASE HELP!

Try the device manager. See if any errors are logged against any usb entries. If there are, then try reinstalling the usb drivers, there should be an option with the device propities somewhere.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-usb-ports-arent-working-please-help.795244/
Relevancy 52.89%

I'm using Windows xp sp2 and a couple of days ago I tried to copy a wav music track from a cd in my cd drive onto one of my hard drives(not the hard drive with windows on it) it gave a message saying unable to complete due to hardware connection being interrupted
since then the Cd drive and Harddrive I was copying too work only intermittently and for a short time. If you try and copy anything too or from the drive it will start working and then stop.
I think this is a virus problem but aren't completely sure as I've run spyware doctor which found a couple of viruses, but the problem continues despite removing them
thanks. hope someone can help

A:Hard drive and cd drive stopped working after file transfer

I'm not a 100% sure but I'm suspecting you power supply. Anybody else go a thought?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-and-cd-drive-stopped-working-after-file-transfer-498489.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Months and months ago my computer started having a problem with running graphic-intensive games such as FarCry and KotOR I did everything I could and couldn t find out what was wrong My computer would shut down and a message over says detects one running, and fan ASUS AIDA fans Chassis aren't Power Probe the speakers would say I was overclocking it I kind of passed it off ASUS Probe says Chassis and Power fans aren't running, AIDA detects one fan for a bit but today I installed ASUS Probe from the CD that came with my motherboard and under Monitor Summary both Power Fan and Chassis Fan were unchecked for monitoring When I checked them they have the message quot Fan below threshold quot When I checked the Fan Monitor apparently only the CPU fan is working http img imageshack us my php image asus ln jpg Now I have a fairly new system so I m pretty sure there should be fans there I had no problem with games when I first got it last december It only started about April or May I have a Intel Pentium GHz with a ASUS P AD Deluxe Wireless Edition motherboard I have MB of RAM and a ATI Radeon X Pro graphics card nbsp

A:ASUS Probe says Chassis and Power fans aren't running, AIDA detects one fan

it is possible that your fans are not conencted with the motherboard. to acertain whether there is a cooling problem, check your cpu and gpu temps. also, this problem could be caused by a failing PSU.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/asus-probe-says-chassis-and-power-fans-arent-running-aida-detects-one-fan.35220/
Relevancy 52.89%

My computer has slowed right down and the hard driving sounds like it just keeps working and working and working It never stops Have I picked up something Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP just infected? drive I'm Hard working I keeps working - and WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Hard drive just keeps working and working - I'm I infected? svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exe C WINDOWS system pctspk exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgemc exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Documents and Settings Dad My Documents Programs HiJack This HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www google ca O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - HKLM Run HPDJ Taskbar Utility C WINDOWS system spool drivers w x hpztsb exe O - HKLM Run NeroCheck C WINDOWS System NeroCheck exe O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe O - HKLM Run iTunesHelper quot C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe quot O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run AVG CC C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe STARTUP O - HKLM Run AVG EMC C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgemc exe O - Startup UMAX VistaAccess lnk C VSTASCAN vsaccess exe O - Global Startup Adobe Gamma Loader lnk C Program Files Common Files Adobe Calibration Adobe Gamma Loader exe O - Global Startup Adobe Reader Speed Launch lnk C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader reader sl exe O - Global Startup Microsoft Office lnk C Program Files Microsoft Office Office OSA EXE O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C PROGRA MICROS Office EXCEL EXE O - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin npjpi dll O - Extra 'Tools' menuitem Sun Java Console - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin npjpi dll O - Extra button Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - Extra 'Tools' menuitem Windows Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - DPF B-B - D-A D -FCFDF E C WUWebControl Class - http v windowsupdate microsoft co O - DPF D D - - D -BDCD- C F A B HouseCall Control - http a g akamai net ll xscan cab O - DPF A A - DA - DAF-B - F E E ActiveScan Installer Class - http www pandasoftware com activescan as asinst cab O - Service AVG Alert Manager Server Avg Alrt - GRISOFT s r o - C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgamsvr exe O - Service AVG Update Service Avg UpdSvc - GRISOFT s r o - C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exe O - Service iPod Service iPodService - Apple Computer Inc - C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe O - Service PCTEL Speaker Phone Pctspk - PCtel Inc - C WINDOWS system pctspk exe

A:Hard drive just keeps working and working - I'm I infected?

Unless mistaken, you should have just done some online scans which didnt find much.

Your log appears clean & I think your hard drive's workings are the cause of Windows indexing service.
More info here > http://www.theeldergeek.com/indexing_service.htm

Malware usually aren't the noisy type..lol

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/hard-drive-just-keeps-working-and-working-im-i-infected-71892.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I am trying to buy some large hard drives for older Dell systems (ie) Optiplex GX110, etc. I continue to be told by the sales folks at BestBuy and CompUSA that there may be a power supply issue with the legacy systems. I may be putting a large drive and a smaller boot drive in the same system, and I don't want to burn out the system or start a fire.

Can anyone spread some light on this?

Thanks

A:hard drive size and power supply

I doubt the difference between a new 7200 and old 5400 RPM hard drive is more then a few watts. The size, or capacity, of the drive has no impact as far as I know. If you are replacing an existing drive with a new drive then there will be no issue power wise. Even if you add a second drive I doubt you'll have a problem. I worked on many Optiplex systems and never had a problem adding a second drive or replacing the existing drive.

Now replacing a power supply in a Optiplex is hard er as most will not acommodate a standard ATX power supply.

One issue you may run into though is a BIOS limitation on the size of hard drive you can install. There are 8GB, 32GB, 127GB barriers. However DELL has BIOS for the GX110 that'll adds 48 bit LBA support which allows to use drives larger then 127GB if you wish.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-size-and-power-supply.337013/
Relevancy 52.89%

About a year ago my one year old Compaq computer just died I have no idea why and back then I didn t have the knowledge to try and figure it out It literally went from being on in the morning before work Hard Power maybe Drive or Supply Issue and me checking my email to coming home from work and I couldn t even turn the computer on To my knowledge it was never turned on throughout the day and there wasn t a storm that day so I think a power surge can be ruled out It was plugged into an outlet with a surge protector as well Is there anyway to check and see if the Hard Drive is still good or anyway to quot fix quot it This was a K computer yes ripped off by best buy and now that I ve Hard Drive Issue or maybe Power Supply started to fool around in the tech area I can t accept it just dying It had adequate virus and spyware protection as well It was running on XP at the time it was in the neighborhood of - GB hard drive I don t know what processor it has although I could look and I m not sure about the motherboard I m thinking it s possible the power supply could have gone bad since I can t even attempt to turn the computer on I don t believe it could be the hard drive but I don t want to rule it out although if it was the hard drive it should at least turn on Then comes a possibly fried motherboard I think that could be the problem as well Please help nbsp

Relevancy 52.89%

old power supply crapped out, bought a 580 watt one

Mobo ks8-la Salmon .. (from a compaq)

New power supply does this:

Get video, cpu, fans run, mobo runs fine, can go into bios and have the hd not recognized . hard drive "click click" .. no "vroom vroom"

Found 15 year old 90 watt power supply .. no cpu, no fan, no video, no bios .. hard drive spins like it has never spun before. It makes the noise as if it's loading and brand new.

Now, might I add this mobo has this extra 4 wire lead that plugs in.. has 2 yellow, 2 black wires. The old power supply .. doesn't .. Not sure if it even matters, but I'm sure the more detail you know, the better.

cleared cmos, tried cable swaps... nothing.

Any ideas or does anyone need more detail?

Relevancy 52.89%

I recently had a new hard drive installed. I started getting a notice on every reboot that "the AC power adapter is not recognized and it could impair system performance". I hit F3 to not see the notice again. I haven't noticed much, except that today the screen completely froze once and I had to do a hard reboot. Should I be looking into buying a new power adapter?

Relevancy 52.89%

Hi

I am running Xp and was formatting a sata hard drive (320g) in an external case when stupid me tripped on the cable and pulled the power to the computer.

Now when i start my computer it see the drive in the enclosure but says it size is now 0 I rtied to reformat but will not allow,
went to control panel -> Admin Tools -> Computer Mang -> Disk Mang and can see the drive there but says it is a removeable drive and will not allow me to partition or reformat (no options given) just to rename/label

Please help only got this drive today and would hate to have a door stop but have a bad bad feeling i might have one now

Thanks Mandie

A:Formatting Hard Drive, Power Interrupted Help

Remove the drive from it's enclosure and install internally in your PC then use Disk Management utility to set up the drive as a Basic Disk, Partition and format it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/formatting-hard-drive-power-interrupted-help.826159/
Relevancy 52.89%

I bought a External Hard Drive off eBay that says it's backward compatible with USB 1.1 but when I connect the HD via the cable supplied I get this error message:

"Power Surge On Hub Port - A USB device has exceeded the power limits of it's hub port."Click to expand...

I have a laptop computer with only one USB 1.1 port, the seller says I can send it back but I'll be happy to keep it if I can get this problem fixed, any suggestions?

Thanks.

Relevancy 52.89%

I am wondering if there was a program similar to Hard Drive Inspector that could tell me how many hours my usb hard drives have been run for. Hard Drive Inspector only finds the internal hard drive in my laptop.

Thanks!

Relevancy 52.89%

I just installed a new k8m800-m7a motherboard. After installing it the computer ran fine. After the first shut down it has no power to the fans, hard drive or keyboard. I have replaced the psuand the power switch. I also used a different power cord. I cleared the cmos to see if that would help but nothing. The board seems to be getting power at least when i plug in the internet the light comes on. Can anyone give me some advice of something I am overlooking.

A:no power to keyboard, fans, or hard drive

please read the guides before posting common questions.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic55506.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-power-to-keyboard-fans-or-hard-drive.82899/
Relevancy 52.89%

I recently purchased a brand new hardrive for my laptop. After installing my computer won't power up. Took hard drive out and computer turns on. Does this mean I bought a bad hard drive? Thanks

Relevancy 52.89%

Have a quad core phenom hp vista ultimate s2 that power up but nothing load until u power it up a few time then everything works. Then it says acc failure. What can this be. New to computer. U will see the power light come on but on the light below it doesnt flash. When u reset it a few time the light below the power button flash everything works.

A:hard drive power but nothings load

Go to Start/Search and type chkdsk C: /R and press enter. Now type a Y and reboot the computer. the Check Disk utility will run at next boot up and try and fix any file errors.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/hard-drive-power-but-nothings-load-567974.html
Relevancy 52.89%

The power in my flat turned off because I forgot to get credit and it seems to have damaged my Lacie 1Tb external USB drive. Windows seems to have stopped seeing it in my computer so I have done the following so far

1.Plug in and turn on the external USB hard drive
2.Right mouse click on My Computer
3.Left click on Manage
4.Left click on Device Manager
5.Expand the USB list
6.Find the USB device
7.Right mouse click - Uninstall
8.Turn off the external USB hard drive
9.Turn on the external USB hard drive and let it find and install the driver
Windows refuses to find the driver and returns "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I can here the drive platter spin and the drive lights up so I think the power is ok. Can anyone help please?

A:Hard drive issues after power outage

Gotta get a UPS my friend... save yourself a lot of hassle.

If the drive was busy at the time the power was cut, the filesystem could be corrupted. My recommendation is to use any recovery software that was bundled with the drive. If this isn't available I would try the drive on another system, perhaps one with a different OS. If you still can't get it working, try downloading the interface drivers from the manufacturer and install them manually. As a last resort you can consult tech support directly but if you don't have any luck, you may be looking at a worse scenario I'm afraid.

If all else fails it may be time for disk diagnostics...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-issues-after-power-outage.185099/
Relevancy 52.89%

My hard drive will not power on. Tried using different power cord. But still will not power on. What are my options to access my data in the hd.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/381904-d3-station-external-hard-drive-will-not-power.html
Relevancy 52.89%

What have I done I got advice on adding a new hard drive and took the computer apart put the new drive in and now can get no power to the computer drive, power to all no hard Changed computer now at I made the mistake of trying to slide the boards out the back and I may have pulled out the small wires that hook up the front power switch Changed hard drive, now no power to computer at all and LED I tried to hook them back up as best i could do by the labels but nothing fits quite right ie connectors are four liitle bars connection is only two No other reason other than I fried it somehow with static electricity I did have to vacuum out a lot of dust Changed hard drive, now no power to computer at all and such as it was really dirty home renos I did grab what seemed to be a spare power connector that was split from the existing hard drive and used it as the power supply for the new hard drive I thought that would work OK but I guess I am in over my head Other than that I plug in the power cord switch it on on the back and then try to press the on switch on the front of the computer nothing No fan no boot nothing Not sure what I have done all I know is I have done this before I took it apart a few years ago and couldn t get any power It ended up being something very simple but I didn t end up fixing it all I know is it was a laughable problem What the heck have I done Computer is a P mgz watt power supply No fuse switch that I can see Will the computer not even go on if something is connected up wrong No idea what I have done wrong Any trouble shooting suggestions would help nbsp

Relevancy 52.89%

I have a Seagate external hard drive (part number 9BD862-560). I lost the power cord (12VDC/2.0 A). Does anyone have an idea where I can go to get a replacement? Thanks for your help!

A:Need power cord for seagate ext hard drive

Have you tried going through Seagate?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-power-cord-for-seagate-ext-hard-drive.756058/
Relevancy 52.89%

Ok I bought a new HDD as I was running out of space on my main one When I got it in the mail I made the after Hard problems Drive power mishap a stupid mistake of trying to put it in my computer while it was still on As I put in this new hard drive I plugged in the power cable first then as I plugged the SATA cable sparks shot from the connection so I immediately stopped and unplugged the power cable Then I plugged in the SATA cable then the power cable It didn t show up obviously so I reset the system and it wouldn t boot Or rather it would do it like it was in slow motion Everything took forever Eventually it made it to the BIOS screen and it didn t recognize my main HDD anymore Understand that the one I was plugging in was the new HDD not the main one It saw the new one fine However the power cable that connected to the new HDD was routed through my main HDD I tested the cable and SATA port with my rd extra hard drive for Ubuntu and both the cable and SATA port on the Motherboard works fine so the Hard Drive problems after a power mishap problem must be my main HDD Whenever the system boots without my main HDD plugged in it does so like normal Fast and without issue When it is plugged in in any SATA port or with any power cable the Hard Drive problems after a power mishap system slows to a crawl when booting Hard Drive problems after a power mishap and after it eventually does won t recognize the main HDD Is there anyway to fix this I d be fine with having to format the drive if it would just see it so that I could though I wouldn t want to as a lot of work went into getting the system as I wanted it The drive spins up without clicking at all when it gets plugged in so there s nothing physically wrong with the disks I d wager something is wrong with the controller If I could fix it myself or ship it off to someone else to fix it Help appreciated Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 52.89%

after boot few minutes one of my slave drives disappears at first I thought the problem was a faulty wire lose connection causing the hard drive Hard and Drive loser disappears!!! power to lose power while running and therefore not showing up in my computer or device manager when I touched the wire it would start the drive up again and It would show up in device manager and my computer changing the wires around I found that what was happening was the cable I was touching had a loose connection and touching it disconnected reconnected the circuit starting the drive up again when I tried a different power connector this didn t work since the wire was not faulty to check I pulled out the pin power connector directly from the drive while computer was still on - yes I know bad Idea and the dive made a click Hard Drive loser power and disappears!!! and beep as it powered off I plugged it back in and the drive showed up again in device manager and my computer windows was stable the whole time if I jiggle the drive or the non faulty cables connected to the drive nothing happens the drive seems to still be running and heating up but does not register on computer until the power is reset it is a Seagate barracuda gb hard drive running on ATA pin ribbon I have hard drives connected to the computer other SATAs and a watt power supply any ideas what could be causing this nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-loser-power-and-disappears.715978/
Relevancy 52.89%

Right I am trying to build my drive issue power cable Hard first computer yay me and I ran into some problems So far all Hard drive power cable issue the parts that I have I have gotten for free so I wanted to continue that trend for the hard drive I had an old laptop that I am no longer using so I decided to try using its hard drive for my new computer I have an adapter for - inch IDE drives but the power cable that is attached to said adapter has only the red and black wires out of the connectors have wires are the other ones yellow necessary or can they be skipped Also would there be any particular way that I would need to arrange the jumpers on my laptop hard drive and how would I go about doing so thanks for your replies in advance Phlip New comp specs -Asus Tusi-M motherboard given to me by a friend s dad the mobo already had a celeron processor and heatsink attached -- -Watt PSU -Being short on cash I decided that I would use the motherboard s built-in video chipset for the time being upgrade in future - mb RAM - GB laptop hard drive -integrated sound card as a side note anyone got any suggestions on a cheap graphics card Not anything top of the line think - bucks nbsp

A:Hard drive power cable issue

A 2.5 inch drive only uses the red and black as they run on 5v this means they can be plugged into the USB and ran from the 5v on the USB bus, the yellow wires carry the 12v needed for 3.5 inch drives.

However 2.5 inch drives very rarely have jumpers on them (some do and they are tiny little things) this means the PC would only see it as Master, so bear that in mind when adding any other drives especially those that require the master to be set to have a slave or else it wont work properly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-power-cable-issue.119215/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi,

I recently aquired a new molex-sata adapter for adding a second HDD to my computer, but when I plugged it in and turned the PC on, it won't power up. Without either hard drive plugged into the power supply, the PC will start but obviously go no further, but with either hard drive plugged in the computer simply won't start.

I've tried with three molex-sata adapters now and none of them will make it work, so I was wondering if it is likely that the new adapter has ruined my hard drive? If not then any tips for fixing it?

Thanks very much

Relevancy 52.89%

OK I am having a little problem I just purchased a new mother board (EPoX) and processor (P4 3.0) the problem I am having is when I turn on the computer all the fans start up but the hard drive will not spin ( the hard drive is working fine in my other computer) but in the new system when I unplug the ATA cable it starts to spin (also there is no signal to the monitor during any of this . If anyone has any suggestions or a solution please let me know.
Thanks

Relevancy 52.89%

The new hard drive is good, could it be the IDE cable was installed backwards or bad power supply. OS Vista SP2.

A:The computer will not power on after a new hard drive was installed.

Does it power on if you disconnect the drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/the-computer-will-not-power-on-after-a-new-hard-drive-was-installed.1038684/
Relevancy 52.89%

I am going to download some shows from my DirecTV DVR the legal, old-fashioned way. Play at real-time speed through 3-pt RCA cable to an RCA-USB adapter to a portable hard drive. Problem: Supplying power to the hard drive if none is going to the USB port from the DVR through the old-style RCA output.
My computer is too large to move and the DVR is almost in constant use (another reason to save the cartoons, cooking and woodworking shows before it dies), so a $80 portable drive is a better solution than moving the equipment.
I could use some advice/education on this. Thank you.

Relevancy 52.89%

Oh god someone PLEASE help me Certain websites aren't working for me via Fx amp IE but they are working for others In fact I had just installed AVG thought that was part of the problem amp uninstalled it I'm going back to Anti Vir but it's still a problem Some sites aren't loading at all others certain buttons click others just act as dead links amp yes I did reboot when I uninstalled AVG I have other issues too but that may be an OS problem I have to find someone to help me troubleshoot the other problems I hope you find something in here Thank youMichelleDeckard's System Scanner v Run by Michelle on - - Computer is in Normal Mode ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- System Restore --------------------------------------------------------------Successfully created a Deckard's System Scanner Restore Point -- Last Restore Point s -- - - UTC - RP - Deckard's System Scanner Restore Point - - UTC - RP - Removed AVG Free - - UTC - RP - Installed AVG Free - - UTC - RP - Avira AntiVir Personal - Properly Aren't Browsers My Working Help, - - UTC - RP - Software Distribution Service -- First Restore Point -- - - Help, My Browsers Aren't Working Properly UTC - RP - Installed iTunesBacked up registry hives Performed disk cleanup -- HijackThis run as Michelle exe --------------------------------------------Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS Help, My Browsers Aren't Working Properly system brsvc a exeC WINDOWS system brss a exeC WINDOWS Help, My Browsers Aren't Working Properly system spoolsv exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exeC WINDOWS ATKKBService exeC Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exeC Program Files Carbonite Carbonite Backup carboniteservice exeC Program Files NVIDIA Corporation NetworkAccessManager Apache Group Apache bin apache exeC Program Files Google Common Google Updater GoogleUpdaterService exeC Program Files NVIDIA Corporation NetworkAccessManager bin nSvcLog exeC WINDOWS system HPZipm exeC WINDOWS system PSIService exeC Program Files ICQLite ICQLite exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files NVIDIA Corporation NetworkAccessManager Apache Group Apache bin apache exeC Program Files eFax Messenger J GDllCmd exeC WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X fppdis a exeC Program Files eFax Messenger J GDllCmd exeC Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exeC WINDOWS Samsung PanelMgr ssmmgr exeC Program Files Simpleology simpleology Wimiki simpleology Wimiki exeC Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exeC Program Files Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition Apps apdproxy exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exeC Program Files Carbonite Carbonite Backup CarboniteUI exeC Program Files Google Gmail Notifier gnotify exeC WINDOWS System vssvc exeC Program Files Shelltoys Personal Assistant assistant exeC Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SUPERAntiSpyware exeC Program Files Yahoo Messenger YahooMessenger exeC WINDOWS system dllhost exeC Program Files SysSense SysSense exeC WINDOWS system dllhost exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC WINDOWS system wscntfy exeC Program Files eFax Messenger J GTray exeC Program Files iPod bin iPodService exeC Program Files eFax Messenger J GTray exeC Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exeC Program Files WinZip WZQKPICK EXEC Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqSTE exeC WINDOWS system wuauclt exeC WINDOWS system NOTEPAD EXEC WINDOWS system notepad exeC Program Files Mozilla Thunderbird thunderbird exeC Program Files Microsoft Office OFFICE WINWORD EXEC Program Files Adobe Re... Read more

A:Help, My Browsers Aren't Working Properly

Oops, I guess there were 2 docs, here's the other one...Deckard's System Scanner v20071014.68Extra logfile - please post this as an attachment with your post.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- System Information ----------------------------------------------------------Microsoft Windows XP Professional (build 2600) SP 3.0Architecture: X86; Language: EnglishCPU 0: Intel® Core™2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHzPercentage of Memory in Use: 57%Physical Memory (total/avail): 2046.48 MiB / 876.17 MiBPagefile Memory (total/avail): 3939.16 MiB / 2947.32 MiBVirtual Memory (total/avail): 2047.88 MiB / 1899.59 MiBA: is Removable (FAT)C: is Fixed (NTFS) - 60.55 GiB total, 44.49 GiB free. D: is Fixed (NTFS) - 58.59 GiB total, 54.93 GiB free. E: is Fixed (NTFS) - 67.17 GiB total, 53.98 GiB free. I: is Removable (FAT)J: is Removable (No Media)K: is Removable (No Media)L: is Removable (No Media)Z: is CDROM (No Media)\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0 - ST3200826AS - 186.31 GiB - 3 partitions \PARTITION0 (bootable) - Installable File System - 60.55 GiB - C: \PARTITION1 - Installable File System - 58.59 GiB - D: \PARTITION2 - Installable File System - 67.17 GiB - E:\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1 - Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device - 54.91 MiB - 1 partition \PARTITION0 (bootable) - MS-DOS V4 Huge - 61.11 MiB - I:\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2 - Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE3 - Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE4 - Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device-- Security Center -------------------------------------------------------------AUOptions is scheduled to auto-install.-- Environment Variables -------------------------------------------------------ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\All UsersAPPDATA=C:\Documents and Settings\Michelle\Application DataCLASSPATH=.;C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\lib\ext\QTJava.zipCLIENTNAME=ConsoleCommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common FilesCOMPUTERNAME=MICHELLE-E1D0D2ComSpec=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exeFP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NOHOMEDRIVE=C:HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\MichelleLOGONSERVER=\\MICHELLE-E1D0D2NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2OS=Windows_NTPath=C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox;C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.PSC1PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6, GenuineIntelPROCESSOR_LEVEL=6PROCESSOR_REVISION=0f06ProgramFiles=C:\Program FilesPROMPT=$P$GQTJAVA=C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\lib\ext\QTJava.zipRNLOG_BASEKEY=Software\RealNetworks\RealPlayer\6.0\Preferences\BrowserRecordPluginLogSESSIONNAME=ConsoleSystemDrive=C:SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWSTEMP=C:\DOCUME~1\Michelle\LOCALS~1\TempTMP=C:\DOCUME~1\Michelle\LOCALS~1\TempUSERDOMAIN=MICHELLE-E1D0D2USERNAME=MichelleUSERPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\Michellewindir=C:\WINDOWS-- User Profiles ---------------------------------------------------------------Michelle (admin)Administrator (new local, admin)Guest.MICHELLE-E1D0D2 (new local, guest)-- Add/Remove Programs --------------------------------------------------------- --> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\r1puninst.exe RealNetworks|RealPlayer|6.0 --> C:\Program Files\Installshield Installation Information\{CA255F44-B057-4428-BBE6-50C5022A23C8}\QBReplace... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/152075/help-my-browsers-arent-working-properly/
Relevancy 52.89%

I have the Philips MMS205 which consists of 4 satellite speakers and a subwoofer. My sound card is a Soundblaster Live! X-Gamer. My satellites are properly hooked up to the subwoofer. The line IN on the subwoofer is connected to the line OUT on the computer, and the surround IN is connected to the Rear OUT on the computer. However, the problem is that only ONE of the satelites and the subwoofer are working, the other three satelites are not emitting any sounds. Please reply if you know what is wrong and/or what i can try. Thanks.

A:satellite speakers aren't working

1) Can you try the speakers on another computer? They may be bad.

2) Try the front out to the surround speakers and see if they both work.

This should pin the problem down.

------------------
Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
LarryCore begs for money

Vote for the best Tech Support site: VOTE for Helponthe.net!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/satellite-speakers-arent-working.34427/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hey I've been trying to do some online work similar to MTurk but a little different and my problem is the submit button doesn't work in IE for me When I try to click on it nothing happens I was receiving a small error message on the left side of the browser on the bottom but that's gone away now Just to clarify this ISN'T my own website I'm having trouble with I have gone on the message board of the job aren't buttons working IE9 submit to see if anyone else is experiencing the same problem but it seems to be working fine for everyone else I have attempted to try it out on other computers in my house but I get the same problem I am using IE on Windows On the webpage itself I got the view source so I'm going to paste what it says lt html gt lt head gt lt title gt An error occurred when verifying security for the message lt title gt lt style gt body font-family quot Verdana quot font-weight normal font-size em color black p font-family quot Verdana quot font-weight normal color black margin-top - px b font-family quot Verdana quot font-weight bold color black margin-top - px H font-family quot Verdana quot font-weight normal font-size pt color red H font-family quot Verdana quot font-weight normal font-size pt color maroon pre font-family quot Lucida Console quot font-size em marker font-weight bold color black text-decoration none version color gray error margin-bottom px expandable text-decoration underline font-weight bold color navy cursor hand lt style gt lt head gt lt body bgcolor quot white quot gt lt span gt lt H gt Server Error in ' Judge' Application lt hr width size color silver gt lt H gt lt h gt lt i gt An error occurred when verifying security for the message lt i gt lt h gt lt span gt IE9 submit buttons aren't working lt font face quot Arial Helvetica Geneva SunSans-Regular sans-serif quot gt lt b gt Description lt b gt IE9 submit buttons aren't working An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in IE9 submit buttons aren't working the code lt br gt lt br gt lt b gt Exception Details lt b gt System ServiceModel FaultException An error occurred when verifying security for the message lt br gt lt br gt lt b gt Source Error lt b gt lt br gt lt br gt lt table width bgcolor quot ffffcc quot gt lt tr gt lt td gt lt code gt lt pre gt Line DateTime t DateTime Now Line lt font color red gt Line string appDataXML judgingClient GetApplicationDataXml hitAppID lt font gt Line Line DateTime t DateTime Now lt pre gt lt code gt lt td gt lt tr gt lt table gt lt br gt lt b gt Source File lt b gt d app WebV build Views GetTemplate aspx cs lt b gt amp nbsp amp nbsp Line lt b gt lt br gt lt br gt lt b gt Stack Trace lt b gt lt br gt lt br gt lt table width bgcolor quot ffffcc quot gt lt tr gt lt td gt lt code gt lt pre gt FaultException An error occurred when verifying security for the message MessageSecurityException An unsecured or incorrectly secured fault was received from the other party See the inner FaultException for the fault code and detail System Runtime Remoting Proxies RealProxy HandleReturnMessage IMessage reqMsg IMessage retMsg System Runtime Remoting Proxies RealProxy PrivateInvoke MessageData amp amp msgData Int type Microsoft Search UHRS Client ServiceReference IJudging GetApplicationDataXml Int HitAppID Uhrs Web GetTemplate Page Load Object sender EventArgs e in d app WebV build Views GetTemplate aspx cs System Web Util CalliHelper EventArgFunctionCaller IntPtr fp Object o Object t EventArgs e System Web UI Control LoadRecursive System Web UI Page ProcessRequestMain Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint lt pre gt lt code gt lt td gt lt tr gt lt table gt lt br gt lt hr width size color silver gt lt b gt Version Information lt b gt amp nbsp Microsoft NET Framework Version ASP NET Version lt font gt Thank you in advance for your help

A:IE9 submit buttons aren't working

Is Java enabled? Up to date?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/ie9-submit-buttons-arent-working-670612.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I've got something strange going on Within the last - days things have stopped working on my computer Notepad calculator task manager - just about anything with manager in it isn't working - update manager lots of things working aren't Things anymore on the control panel - too many to list I did get a couple of strange messages a week or so ago One was something about d screen saver no longer working - or something like that I googled it and couldn't find anything Things aren't working anymore Then I got another one that was csc exe not working but again couldn't find anything I'm running windows professional bit operating system I have run AVG malwarebytes and Emsisoft emergency kit - no viruses found Let me know what other information Things aren't working anymore you need to help fix this problem Thanks Edited to add I was looking around and downloaded the tweaking com windows repair and did the proper power reset When I turned the computer back on I got these messages csc Things aren't working anymore exe application error The application was unable to start correctly xc Click ok to close the application lgfxTray module has stopped working persistence module has stopped working hkcmd module has stopped working Tried to run the windows repair and it won't start I got a cmd exe application error message - same as the csc exe one I'm guessing I've got a virus or malware or something Just thought this extra information might be helpful

A:Things aren't working anymore

If this happened to me, I'd restore from my last good full system backup.  If you don't have one, I'd consider this a learning experience.  Then save any data you don't want to lose, and try System Restore.  If that doesn't help,
restore your system to factory settings, and reload your software.

Good luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/603108/things-arent-working-anymore/