Windows Support Forum

Solved: Windows XP Startup and Shutdown Sounds aren't working!

Q: Solved: Windows XP Startup and Shutdown Sounds aren't working!

Please Help!!!!

I'm running Win XP Home Edition SP2 and I've searched Google and Win knowledge base to no avail...also Kelly's Corner web site.

When the PC is turned on and off the default Start Windows
and Exit Windows sound is not played through the speakers
which are turned on. All other Windows sounds are played
correctly.
I have checked the sound properties in Control
Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices /Properties and the Windows
Default Sound Scheme is selected. The corresponding .wav
files are in place i.e. Windows XP Shutdown.wav and
Windows XP Startup.wav.
Please advise how I can rectify this fault.
Thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Solved: Windows XP Startup and Shutdown Sounds aren't working!

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Solved: Windows XP Startup and Shutdown Sounds aren't working!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-startup-and-shutdown-sounds-arent-working.484342/
Relevancy 98.9%

Please Help!!!
I have searched Google, Windows Knowledge Base and Kelly's Corner Web Site to no avail.

When the PC is turned on and off the default Start Windows
and Exit Windows sound is not played through the speakers
which are turned on. All other Windows sounds are played
correctly.
I have checked the sound properties in Control
Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices /Properties and the Windows
Default Sound Scheme is selected. The corresponding .wav
files are in place i.e. Windows XP Shutdown.wav and
Windows XP Startup.wav.

Please advise how I can rectify this fault.
Thanks

A:Windows Xp Startup And Shutdown Sounds Are Not Working!

Find the sound files on the hard drive and remove them and then copy new ones in their place. The sound files are more than likely corrupt.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/59235/windows-xp-startup-and-shutdown-sounds-are-not-working/
Relevancy 81.7%

I have had this problem for as long as I can remember... I have no idea why they dont play. In the control panel Sounds & Audio or whatever, i selected Windows Default sound scheme, both Windows Startup and Shutdown sounds are activated and the sound files work fine. All other normal windows sounds work.

Anyone know what the problem is? Thanks

A:Windows startup and Shutdown sounds do not play

Long shot but it could be a third party program which is set to disable to logon/logoff sounds in an attempt to speed up the process.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-startup-and-shutdown-sounds-do-not-play-286356.html
Relevancy 80.84%

i have this really annoying problem with my HP pavilion pc. its running windows xp. it does not play the startup sound when it is started, it does not play the shutdown sound when i shut it down, it doesnt play the logon sound when i logon nor does it play the logoff sound when i log off? any idea why? Thanx in advance.

Relevancy 80.84%

hello i have a realtek ac acl for via chipsets via with direct x c and driver version and have just installed that latest drivers dated the install of these new drivers did not fix the problem i am having only occuring with the startup and shutdown sounds in windows xp the sounds go less than halfway and stop then the XP loads or shuts down just fine with no errors nothing else is wrong but this problem i hope can be fixed by tweaking something hardware or software wise so Windows shutdown startup cutoff XP sounds problem and my startup and shutdown sounds will run the whole Windows XP startup and shutdown sounds cutoff problem length of thier duration which works fine in all audio players the following Windows XP startup and shutdown sounds cutoff problem is the list if files the driver loads are their any than can be disabled so that the sound files can work or is this problem fixed else where C WINDOWS soundman exe C WINDOWS system crlds d dll C WINDOWS System a d dll C WINDOWS System ALSNDMGR cpl C WINDOWS System ALSNDMGR wav C WINDOWS System audio d dll C WINDOWS System drivers ALCXSENS sys C Windows XP startup and shutdown sounds cutoff problem WINDOWS System drivers ALCXWMD sys C WINDOWS System drivers drmk sys C WINDOWS System drivers portcls sys C WINDOWS System drivers stream sys C WINDOWS System ksuser dll C WINDOWS System RTLCPAPI dll C WINDOWS System RTLCPL exe C WINDOWS System wdmaud drv if none of these can offer a solution can you recommend what will fix this problem with the startup and shutdown sounds Bill Hemb i also have a list attached of files my machine uses at startup according to easy cleaner this may help more i have a feeling nbsp

A:Windows XP startup and shutdown sounds cutoff problem

Welcome TexasWestern. My PC does the samething shutting down and starting up. But it runs just fine.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-startup-and-shutdown-sounds-cutoff-problem.258679/
Relevancy 73.53%

I upgraded from SE to XP home. SB Live sound card and updated driver work fine in all sounds EXCEPT on Windows startup and shutdown, there are no music. Check the .wav files and when I click on them directly or in the Control Panel/Sounds, they play just fine. But not on startup or shutdown of windows.
Does anybody have any ideas how I can get them back?? (BTW, they worked just fine in SE)

Relevancy 73.53%

I'm new here, and to many things "PC", so forgive me if I sound dumb.

I just recently reinstalled Win. XP Home - clean install. After I installed my SB Audigy 2 sound card I removed it's silly splash screen from starting up when the PC booted. After I removed, somehow my standard Windows startup and shutdown sounds vanished.
I already have been through the Control Panel's "Sounds and Audio Devices" settings and it shows them as being there.
Anyone have any idea of what may have happened?

TIA

A:Startup/Shutdown Sounds Gone?

No one?
Eeek!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/startup-shutdown-sounds-gone.12586/
Relevancy 72.67%

I am using a windows XP professional SP2 on a Fujitsu laptop. My windows always starts up and shuts down silently although the startup and shutdown tones are turned on in the control panel under sound schemes. All other windows sounds are normal. The speakers work fine.

How do I get the sounds back. Does this mean there is any intrinsic problem in the registry?

Relevancy 72.24%

yesterady they just played and cut out half way now to sounds refuse startup play shutdown XP and the startup and shutdown down sounds wont play at all i restored the bios and the drivers to the realtek ac sound card to factory default yet even doing that the startup and shutdown sounds refuse to play anymore do radeon xt graphics cards cause these startup and shutdown sounds XP startup and shutdown sounds refuse to play to not work correctly or is it something else is there anyway to fix this problem so that i can not only play these sounds again but also play them to thier full duration XP startup and shutdown sounds refuse to play and not just cut out half way also every other sound works just not the shutdown and startup sounds i have direct x c and am not sure if the drivers for that are conflicting with it sandra says no but it also says that the drivers for my ac audio card are obsolete yet when i go to update them it can find no updates even installing the generic ac audio drivers that were released a month ago do not solve the problem anyone who can offer help so my startup and shutdown sounds not only work but play the whole file again would be greatly appreciated bill Hemb nbsp

Relevancy 71.38%

PLZ help me Windows XP cant play sounds by startup shutdown and also logout and login I ve tried the options sounds startup/shutdown these play actions by (WinXP) Cannot from another Cannot play startup/shutdown sounds by these actions (WinXP) thread http forums techguy org windows-xp -no-sound-startup-shutdown html and here it is Go to start menu run and enter Cannot play startup/shutdown sounds by these actions (WinXP) REGEDIT and press resturn This will start the regestry editor Goto the file menu and select export and save the regestry as a file make sure you have Export Range All selected at the bottom of the save file window This will save the whole Cannot play startup/shutdown sounds by these actions (WinXP) regestry as a file remember where you save the file You have now backed up the regestry Now close the regestry editor Copy all the following text starting from Windows Regestry Editor Verion by highlighting it right clicking and selecting copy Windows Registry Editor Version HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Drivers quot midimapper quot quot midimap dll quot quot msacm imaadpcm quot quot imaadp acm quot quot msacm msadpcm quot quot msadp acm quot quot msacm msg quot quot msg acm quot quot msacm msgsm quot quot msgsm acm quot blah blah blah for the writer it worked but after I did it a bluescreen appeared with the following code x E I already fixed it but how can i play these sounds nbsp

A:Cannot play startup/shutdown sounds by these actions (WinXP)

Oh, and if you ask me to do this on the other thread: the thread has been closed

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-play-startup-shutdown-sounds-by-these-actions-winxp.1106769/
Relevancy 71.38%

PLZ help me Windows XP cant play sounds by startup shutdown and also logout and login I ve tried the options from another thread http forums techguy actions Cannot (XinXP startup/shutdown these play by sounds org windows-xp -no-sound-startup-shutdown html and here it is Go to start menu run and enter REGEDIT and press resturn This will start the regestry editor Goto the file menu and select export and save the regestry as a file make sure you have Export Range All selected at the bottom of the save file window This will save the whole regestry as a file remember where you save the file You have Cannot play startup/shutdown sounds by these actions (XinXP now backed up the regestry Now close Cannot play startup/shutdown sounds by these actions (XinXP the Cannot play startup/shutdown sounds by these actions (XinXP regestry editor Copy all the following text starting from Windows Regestry Editor Verion by highlighting it right clicking and selecting copy Windows Registry Editor Version HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Drivers quot midimapper quot quot midimap dll quot quot msacm imaadpcm quot quot imaadp acm quot quot msacm msadpcm quot quot msadp acm quot quot msacm msg quot quot msg acm quot quot msacm msgsm quot quot msgsm acm quot blah blah blah for the writer it worked but after I did it a bluescreen appeared with the following code x E I already fixed it but how can i play these sounds nbsp

A:Cannot play startup/shutdown sounds by these actions (XinXP

Closing dup.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-play-startup-shutdown-sounds-by-these-actions-xinxp.1106768/
Relevancy 68.8%

Although I have associated sounds with the Windows Startup and Exit Events and tested the sounds, no sound plays when these two events occur. All other sounds work fine. What could be the problem?

Correction: Actually none of my Windows Events Sounds works. My AOL Events Sounds work fine. And all sound files that I play manually work fine. It is just the Windows Events Sounds that don't work.

Computer:

Dell OPTIPLEX GX280, Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 380 GHz
3.79 GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM
Windows XP Professional

Relevancy 65.36%

I'm running XP Home on my laptop and suddenly, none of my theme sounds will play. They play fine from Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices but I just get bleeps when they should be playing during use.

I had to restart in Safe Mode yesterday and it seems to have stopped working since then.

Anyone got any ideas?

Relevancy 64.5%

my hard wired analog sound card does not work...have gone to the update section, have deleted and re-installed and still no sound...have checked speakers...when i boot the computer, i hear a distinct "pop" made by the speakers since i have turned them all the way up , but when windows loads there is another pop that tells me ain't no sound gonna happen,,,,my device manager shows no conflicts...have deleted all multimedia sound devices and re-installed....have run a direct X diagnostic and it shows no sound card...loading game software shows no sound card detected also...have windows direct 9X......anything i can do??? MAYDAY sound card is an Sound Max by Analog Devices.....Using Windows ME (bad and stupid)

A:The Sounds Of Silence And Simon And Art Aren't Here

I tkae it when you refer to hard wired you mean onboard non removable? I listed a couple ofl utilities that may help you.Have you gone to your Device Manager to see if the sound card is still listed? Is there a yellow ! next to the device. With the popping sound it maybe that your onboard sound has failed and needs replacing. What motherboard (It will say when you boot)? You can also find theis when you run one of the utilties.Belarc Diagnostic ToolFresh Diagnose (Diagnostic and system resource)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/37093/the-sounds-of-silence-and-simon-and-art-arent-here/
Relevancy 62.78%

Using Windows Task buttons working Solved: aren't bar XP Pro with SP TSG SysInfo output below Yesterday I noticed I noticed that when I clicked left or right mouse buttons on a particular icon in my task bar Solved: Task bar buttons aren't working or is it the system tray nothing happened no menu no app No problem with tool bar nor desktop shortcuts I didn t worry about it as I could access that app another way and just thought the system needed to be rebooted When I was done working on what I had been doing I rebooted to a totally blank except my old desktop image no tool bar no start button no desktop icons nothing I decided to try to see what Windows Task Manager Ctrl Alt Del might tell me There were the usual applications running and the typical longer list of processes Since one of the apps already running was Firefox I right clicked it and selected quot maximize quot did some poking around and found the best thing at that point would be to do a system recovery I did to a set point I made the night before and everything on my desktop looked normal again But still the task bar icons were and remain dead I had been working on removing old broken or otherwise useless registry keys using PC Health Advisor and did make a back up of the registry before starting the software I had suspected a virus or malware used Malwarebites Anti Malware to screen for these not that I could tell you the difference between malware and a trojan anyway and wanted to make sure it hadn t infected my registry It found hundreds of errors and fixed them It s possible that s when I knocked out the functionality of those buttons but am not keen to restore the registry to where it was before I cleaned it for concern of bringing back any infections I spent many hours last night and this morning Googling for help but am not finding anyone with quite the same problem To be clear the area I refer to is where the clock can be found on the lower right of my screen Here s an image So how might I proceed to locate and repair my issue Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM Duo CPU E GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GT Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB E Total - MB Free - MB F Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Foxconn CMX GMX CMX-K UYRL Antivirus avast Antivirus Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

I am fully aware threads of this nature exist, however they conflict with other threads and videos that are out there.

According to this post is is not possible, but there is a work-around. However according to so many articles and videos it is entirely possible to re-enable the sound.

I have checked the enable startup sound, disabled fast booting/hybrid boot, and done the registry edits to allow me to customize normally unavailable windows sounds.

So what gives? Windows should be playing the startup .wav I have selected.

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/37286-windows-8-boot-shutdown-sounds.html
Relevancy 62.78%

hi. got windows 8.1 64 bit enterprise on a windows toshiba satellite pro laptop. and using a screen reader jaws for windows from Freedom Scientific Home Page. second time had to install windows 8.1, the first time was messing around and got locked out, and had to have sighted help from my parents, to restore my windows 7 64 bit pro, on dvds i had created for backup. so did do the registry hack, but did not work. so, is there a software package, that will install or enable the shutdown and wake up sound, for windows 8.1 i had for windows 7. can any one suggest any thing, do not really want to mess around with the registry if possible. got my machine set up the way i want. thanks. marvin from adelaide, australia.

http://www.eightforums.com/sound-audio/62896-windows-8-1-shutdown-wake-up-sounds.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Everytime I want to hibernate my computer to leave it on overnight, it goes into updates. It updates, then restarts about once or twice saying that the updates weren't configured correctly, and it must revert the changes. It's happened about 5 times and I'd like to fix this.

A:Windows updates aren't working.

hi go to start control panel in classic view,windows update,on the lefthand side,change settings,click the install updates automatically and change the time for update to be downloaed and installed.or change to download and let me choose

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-updates-arent-working-409577.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Yesterday, I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. All went good, and I'm fully satisfied with Windows 10, but when I called a friend on Skype, I couldn't hear him at all. Not in my headphones. I searched on Google and saw on a lot of forums that if I unninstal that "VIA HD Audio (Win 10) it will fix my problem, but it didn't.[/B] They're still not working, even after I updated the driver back. I also installed Realtek HD Audio driver, after seeing on other forum, but it still didn't work at all. When I click on the speaker icon, go to playback devices, it's not showing headphones, but only speakers. Do you guys know what I can do ? Do you got any idea? I don't want to go back to Windows 7 just because of this.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-8-a/129618-headphones-arent-working-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Windows start and shutdown wavs not played
Hi.
I'm using XP sp3 with onboard Sigma Tel Audio. High Definition Audio Codec driver ver 5.10.5067.0
Sigma Tel audio loads at system start. All sounds are perfect after boot.
The problem is I don't get the Windows Start or Windows Exit sounds.
The sounds are enabled in Control Panel Sounds, and when I sample them, they're fine. They just don't play when starting or shutting down Windows.
Help will be most appreciated.
Thanks,
bill48nj2

A:Windows start and shutdown sounds not played

Reinstall the sound drivers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-start-and-shutdown-sounds-not-played.122727/
Relevancy 61.49%

I have an older Toshiba satellite laptop I was cleaning it up the other day removing lots of old programs and I also unchecked several startup processes aren't options Windows other load, working won't I believe Windows won't load, other options aren't working I reviewed all of them and did not uncheck anything for the system I don t know if it was that or something else but now the computer will not Windows won't load, other options aren't working load windows XP Pro It will go to the windows loading screen then goes blank shuts down and tries again over and over Pressing F I have tried all the options start in safe mode start in debugging start with last known good configuration and the rest all result in the same thing - windows loading screen black and power down I can get to the recovery console but don t know how to use this to try and start or fix or find the problem I do not have a boot disk to use either I m traveling I have a USB with me but from what I have just read this would not be so easy to make work Any help is greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Windows won't load, other options aren't working

In recovery mode "fixboot" may solve the problem

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-wont-load-other-options-arent-working.805805/
Relevancy 61.49%

Yesterday after visiting a website that working aren't Windows-based services All may not have been secure I found my Windows Security Center was turned off Shortly after this McAfee removed a trojan from my computer After doing a scan of my computer I re-opened Security Center When I clicked quot Turn on now quot it said quot The Security Center service can't be started quot Following another thread's advice I did Start gt Search 'services' gt Security Center which has nothing under Status and Disabled under Start-up type gt Properties and though I could change Disabled to Automatic Delayed Start when I clicked OK and re-clicked Properties it had turned itself back to disabled All Windows-based services aren't working Also under Service Status it says Stopped yet I cannot click Start I also found that All Windows-based services aren't working Windows Firewall was not using the recommended settings When I click Update Settings it says quot Windows Firewall was unable to make the requested updates quot Clicking 'Turn Windows Firewall on or off' a box saying quot Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running Do you want to start the Windows Firewall service quot I click yes and it opens the settings box however it says I am using the recommended settings To add to my problems clicking on Windows Defender on the side menu brings up this message quot Application failed to initialize x ba A problem caused this program's service to stop To start the service restart your computer or search Help and Support for how to start a service manually quot Since then my computer has been restarted twice and still no luck Lastly whether it is a connected issue I'm not sure however my Windows Live Messenger when attempting to sign in will begin to load then stop working and close itself Restarting didn't help this either Any advice at all on what might have caused this or how to fix any of these problems would be greatly appreciated

A:All Windows-based services aren't working

Go back one week before the problem with system restore.
System Restore - How to

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/298343-all-windows-based-services-arent-working.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I recently upgraded from XP to Windows 7

When i had XP i could press "Fn + F3" to lower my sound volume, "Fn + F4" to raise my sound volume and "Fn + F10" to completely mute my computer.
So, all the sound related buttons.

When i formatted my computer and got Windows 7 on it. These buttons dont work anymore.
I can still press "Fn + F6" to lower the screen light, and "Fn + F7" to raise it.

Can anyone help me?
Im guessing its related to a driver or something..

A:[SOLVED] Fn + F# sound related buttons aren't working anymore

I have exactly the same problem.. I use Packard-Bell MX65 and can't use almost all the the hot keys when i set up Windows 7 Ultimate x64..

And I can use brightness down and up with fn+f6 and fn+f7 like you.. But no blue screen appears while i'm doing that like I was doing it in Xp.. Fn+F11 also works that turns off the screen.

I thought it's related to the driver ATK0100 ACPI Utility and set up a lot of that driver.. But still it doesn't work.. I hope someone can help us Kasp.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-fn-f-sound-related-buttons-arent-working-anymore-431164.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi I just formatted my hard drive and did a clean re-install of Windows Vista on my Dell Inspiron laptop It came with Vista pre-installed when I purchased it and I used the disc that came with the laptop to do the re-install I haven t installed any programs or downloaded anything but I have been trying to install all of the updates that the computer needs I have been using the quot Windows Update quot feature from the start menu as everything I have read online says this the best to way acquire the necessary Vista updates However hardly any of my update attempts have gone smoothly I ve done like maybe or separate cycles of allowing the Windows Update program to download and install the updates it found for me and then restart my computer As it is restarting it says quot configuring updates quot and then it shuts down and tries to my Updates on and Solved: aren't laptop, working Freshly Vista Reinstalled reboot But almost every single time an error occurs during the restart and it says something like quot Windows failed to start quot Solved: Freshly Reinstalled Vista on my laptop, and Updates aren't working It then goes through a repair process and eventually windows will start this happened exactly same way every time except for once I think During the first few update cycles I went through most of or all of the updates would somehow be successfully installed after the failed restart Solved: Freshly Reinstalled Vista on my laptop, and Updates aren't working and then repair process occurred I checked this with the quot update history quot on the Windows Update program However the past times or so either the large majority of or all of the updates would have a failed status after going through the exact same failure to restart and then repair process My warranty is expired so Dell won t help me unless I pay and Microsoft said they could only help me if I forked over So now I am hoping there are some kind knowledgeable folks in these online forums I am rather computer literate and I have tried to search online for a solution but haven t found anything yet My system is a Solved: Freshly Reinstalled Vista on my laptop, and Updates aren't working Dell Inspiron with -bit Windows Vista operating system I m not sure what other details are relevant for this question but ask me and I ll find out Thanks so much for any help It is much appreciated nbsp

A:Solved: Freshly Reinstalled Vista on my laptop, and Updates aren't working

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-freshly-reinstalled-vista-on-my-laptop-and-updates-arent-working.780656/
Relevancy 60.2%

A week ago or so a problem started when I booted up my windows 8 acer desktop and once it got to the log in screen the mouse and keyboard wouldn't work... Although I got that fixed somehow and it didn't happen again... until now. I've tried everything I can think of but it doesn't fix it. Please I need help fast

-snossy

A:My USB ports aren't working past boot on my acer windows 8. HELP PLEASE. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO?

Can anyone help? Please I need to do work

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-usb-ports-arent-working-past-boot-on-my-acer-windows-8-help-please-is-there-anything-i-can-do.1163524/
Relevancy 60.2%

Computer froze then this message keeps telling me to log out. It will try to fix it for next sign on but it is an endless loop. Please help me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-10-and-cortana-arent-working-critical-error-messa.1159891/
Relevancy 60.2%

A week ago or so a problem started when I booted up my windows 8 acer desktop and once it got to the log in screen the mouse and keyboard wouldn't work... Although I got that fixed somehow and it didn't happen again... until now. I've tried everything I can think of but it doesn't fix it. Please I need help fast

-snossy

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-usb-ports-arent-working-past-boot-on-my-acer-windows-8.1163524/
Relevancy 59.77%

I am on Dell Optiplex 780 running Windows 7 Professional. I recently obtained this computer from a family member. However, they could not remember the log in for it (when you first turn it on you go through ctrl-alt-del then are prompted to enter password).

I tried Ophcrack, it said it was not able to crack any passwords.

I also tried Offline NT Password & Registry Editor. This did not work either. I had a little bit of trouble with it- the username listed in the welcome screen was not one of those listed when I ran the tool. So, if someone is familiar enough with it maybe they can help me figure out what I am doing wrong? If not, some other way for me to recover or reset my password?

Thank you in advance for your help.

A:Forgot pw- recovery/reset programs aren't working (Windows 7 Professional)

Use Offline NT Password & Registry Editor to enable the Hidden Administrator Account. Once that is enabled you can change the password of the the other accounts using the Administrator Account.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/530385/forgot-pw-recoveryreset-programs-arent-working-windows-7-professional/
Relevancy 59.77%

-snossy

A:My USB ports aren't working past boot on my acer windows 8... HELP PLEASE... I NEED TO DO WORK

Can anyone help? Please I need to do work

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-usb-ports-arent-working-past-boot-on-my-acer-windows-8-help-please-i-need-to-do-work.1163524/
Relevancy 59.34%

boh whens windows starting aint plays the startup sounds and when is shutting down too,

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-startup-sounds.683058/
Relevancy 59.34%

I do not hear the windows startup sounds or any other Window's sounds.. I recently installed a new sound card but can't really say if it started happening before that or after that.. All other sounds play gr8, music, video etc.. Just no startup or ending sounds or error sounds that are common with winxp..

Thanks for any help.. I have went thru the initial basic steps for troubleshooting..

Relevancy 58.05%

Hello TenFourms I hope this is in the right place if not then please move this thread Anyway I have written a small little program about MB in VB NET in case anyone wants the source just ask to play the startup sound on login The program automatically adds itself to the startup key in the registry It includes Windows Startup sounds from the past in Simple 10 startup restore to Windows app sounds as well as the ability to add custom sounds It is a single EXE all you have to do is put it wherever you want and then run it once This will mark it in the startup programs list and allows you to customize the sounds Running the app with no args gets the GUI for configuring it If the program is run with the playsound argument then it plays the startup sound Download Version https onedrive live com download r int file cexe Anyway I hope you enjoy this program I had a little extra time on my hands

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/51958-simple-app-restore-startup-sounds-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 56.76%

All of my system sounds such as the startup, shutdown, recycling noise, etc. are not working. When I go to the Control Panel to the sound option and try to preview the various sounds they do not play. I have it on the "Default Windows Sounds" setting.

The weird thing is when i try to play these sounds on Winamp they play. I have no clue what is up with this damn computer.

A:Windows (XP) Sounds not working

Did they suddenly stop working, and have you installed anything just prior? You could try a System Restore if it hasn't been very long.

Is Winamp or anything else associated with .wav files as the default player? Select (highlight one), then Shif+Right click on one and, select "open with" > programs choose Winamp or Windows Media Player as the default association and check "always use". Or check the association through Folder Options > File Types.

If you run msconfig and clean boot the system by disabling the startup group, do they play then?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-sounds-not-working.107502/
Relevancy 56.76%

Some of the sounds that windows is supposed to be making, like when you plug in or disconnect a USB drive, isn't working no more. It's supposed to make a sound!

Anyone know how to restore them? I just fixed my sound problem and then discovered this.... zzz

A:windows sounds not working no more...

Right click speaker icon in system tray next to time. Choose sounds.

Or choose a new theme by rt click desktop, personalize.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/33584-windows-sounds-not-working-no-more.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi all,

I'm having trouble with my Packard Bell EasyNote TJ65. On launch I get a Windows Error Recovery message telling me that "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause."
I'm then offered the choice of 'Startup Repair' or 'start Windows normally'.

Start normally - just brings me back to the same error message screen.
Startup repair - launches to Windows splash screen with a cursor, but doesn't advance from there.

Ive tried booting/reinstalling from disc, but that isn't working either. I get to the Install Windows screen, input language/location options, click on Install Now - but it then goes to a 'Setup is starting' screen and can't advance any further ... The cursor just spins (for hours!).

Any help appreciated!
THANKS

Relevancy 55.9%

I downloaded vlc-0.8.4a-win32 video player and must've hit the wrong button when setting it up because all the sounds on my computer were set to play through that- so none of the windows sounds are working (the click when right clicking on a file for example). I removed that and figured it would reset it back to normal but it didn't.

How can I reset them to play correctly? I tried doing a system restore and it says it couldn't restore to the selected point.

THanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-sounds-no-longer-working.446636/
Relevancy 55.47%

Here s the HJT Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system Help! sounds a Solved: engine! jet computer like working non-stop, AVAST is winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast aswUpdSv exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashServ exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS AGRSMMSG exe C WINDOWS SOUNDMAN EXE C PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exe C Program Files iTunes-new iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Documents and Settings All Users Application Data ihqhgrsh exe C Program Files Common Files WinAntiSpyware WAS Mon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SUPERAntiSpyware exe C Program Files QuickBooks Online Backup CBSysTray exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Distillr AcroTray exe C Program Files QuickBooks Online Backup AgentSrv EXE C Program Files Grisoft AVG Anti-Spyware guard exe C Program Files EarthLink TotalAccess WENGINE wmonitor exe C Program Files Microsoft SQL Server MSSQL VAIO Solved: Help! AVAST is working non-stop, computer sounds like a jet engine! VEDB Binn sqlservr exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Entertainment Platform VCSW VCSW exe C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Entertainment Platform VzCdb VzCdbSvc exe C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Entertainment Platform VzCdb VzFw exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C WINDOWS system dllhost exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office OUTLOOK EXE C Program Files Microsoft Office Office WINWORD EXE C Program Files Microsoft Office Office EXCEL EXE C Program Files Common Files Intuit QuickBooks QBCFMonitorService exe C Program Files Common Files Intuit QuickBooks FCS Intuit QuickBooks FCS exe C Program Files Intuit QuickBooks Pro qbw exe C Program Files Common Files Intuit QuickBooks axlbridge exe C PROGRA Intuit QUICKB QBDBMgr exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashMaiSv exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashWebSv exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office WINWORD EXE C Documents and Settings Christopher Blunt Desktop hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http www earthlink net partner more msie button search html R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http news google com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www sony com vaiopeople R - URLSearchHook SrchHook Class - F B - C- -A B -D BD DCBB - C Program Files EarthLink TotalAccess ElnIE dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - Toolbar EarthLink Toolbar - C - F - -B A - EE - C Program Files EarthLink TotalAccess Toolbar Toolbar dll O - Toolbar amp RoboForm - d a - d - d - - e a - C Program Files Siber Systems AI RoboForm roboform dll O - HKLM Run AGRSMMSG AGRSMMSG exe O - HKLM Run High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut HDAudPropShortcut exe O - HKLM Run VAIO Recovery C WINDOWS Sonysys VAIO Recovery PartSeal exe O - HKLM Run SoundMan SOUNDMAN EXE O - HKLM Run AlcWzrd ALCWZRD EXE O - HKLM Run Alcmtr ALCMTR EXE O - HKLM Run avast C PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exe O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run iTunesHelper quot C Program Files iTunes-new iTunesHelper exe quot O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run ihqhgrsh exe C Documents and Settings All Users Application Data ihqhgrsh exe O - HKLM Run Salestart quot C Program Files Common Files WinAntiSpyware WAS Mon exe quot O - HKLM Run poolsv quot C WINDOWS poolsv exe quot O - HKLM Run NI UWAS N M quot C Program... Read more

A:Solved: Help! AVAST is working non-stop, computer sounds like a jet engine!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-help-avast-is-working-non-stop-computer-sounds-like-a-jet-engine.595380/
Relevancy 55.47%

I recently had to reinstall Windows on my computer due to system restore problems and now system restore works again but a new problem has been created I have always went into my sound option in the control panel to create my own personal sound scheme using various wave sounds I have saved on an external drive and they have always worked great now however not all of them will play in the scheme or when I click the quot Test quot button I hear nothing Some work some don't even though they are all wav files I use the quot browse quot button in control panel sound to get to those files Because I reinstalled Windows and the registry is reset to its default is there a setting in the registry I need to adjust to quot Play all sounds quot or something All sounds play well in WMP but certain 7 new sounds in not scheme working Windows sound .wav in ones won't work in the scheme or the test button .wav sounds not working in new sound scheme in Windows 7 Please advise They did all work before I reinstalled windows so I am wondering if it is a registry setting or something else I am overlooking I have searched the internet and can find nothing Please help me

A:.wav sounds not working in new sound scheme in Windows 7

Since you did a reinstall, did you reinstall Win 7 drivers for the SoundBlaster? Also, in case it was inadvertently enabled, the on-board audio (probably labeled Legacy Audio in the BIOS - what Dell identifies it as in older PC's) needs to be disabled in the BIOS to avoid any conflicts.

I've had problems getting user wav files to work for system sounds, and I've seen posts of others having the same problems. Not sure what to tell you about those.

One thing to check, "What You Hear" for the SoundBlaster should be set as the Default Recording Device. I don't know if it will make a difference, but something to check. Go to Control Panel/Hardware and Sound and finally the Sound Panel, Recording section. If its shown, enable it and make it the default. If its not showing, RIGHT click in a blank area in the panel and then click to show Disabled and Disconnected devices. What You Hear should now be showing and you can enable it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/371905-wav-sounds-not-working-new-sound-scheme-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 55.47%

When i tried to shutdown and i get an error message saying cicerouiwind and there is an option "end now" before my computer can even shutdown.Sometimes even an error with my antispyware programme.
When i startup, after the bootscreen it will show a blue screen saying "Please wait..." and then it go on to the log on screen.Is it a serious matter?

A:[SOLVED] Shutdown/Startup

Can you boot into Windows fine? If so, I am assuming you are infected with some type of malware. We have experts that can help you.

To get Expert Help with malware removal:

I recommend that you read this article… ( Simply, click on the links to be re-directed.)

"Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First steps;

IMPORTANT - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help

Please follow the instructions very carefully; then, post all the requested logs and information; as instructed, in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help Forum.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/

Please ensure that you create a new thread in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help Forum; not back here in this one.

IMPORTANT - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help

When carrying out the instructions for malware removal,

If you cannot complete any of them for whatever reason, just continue on with the next one until they are all completed.

However, it is extremely important to make mention of the fact that you could not complete all of the steps in your post in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help Forum.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/

Where an Analyst will assist you with other workarounds.

Once done, please be patient, as the Security Team Analysts are usually very busy; one of them will answer your request as soon as they can.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-shutdown-startup-360720.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hey, this computer has been running fine for a long time...it had done this a few times in the past year, but always solved itself.

Power it on, shuts down after half a second. Like I said, usually fixes itself, but now I've tried it at least fifteen times after cleaning the tower thoroughly and checking all connections and nothing (powering it on with nothing connected). I'm assuming this is a PSU issue? Perhaps it's on its last legs. This computer is a few years old...XP SP3, 2GB DDR2, ASUS motherboard off the top of my head..

Thanks.

Relevancy 54.61%

Today I decided I was going to restore grub and get Ubuntu 8 tools not Windows aren't and working will boot boot repair Windows Windows 8 will not boot and boot repair tools aren't working and OS X all booting from it that turned out to be Windows 8 will not boot and boot repair tools aren't working a mistake First what I did was boot into the old grub menu with my bios and I loaded up Ubuntu I decided to run sudo grub-install dev sda which I think is where I went wrong then sudo update-grub that seemed to work at first but my grub menu didn t update so I ran the boot repair utility in ubuntu and after that grub seemed fine Grub loaded up with my operating systems detected and eveything The first thing I did after that was load up Windows and it seemed to be working I saw the boot screen and the spinner with no messages under it so I just held the power button because I wanted to test OS X booting At that point OS X loaded up and wanted to do a check disk on the windows partition and I didn t let it because I didn t want to wait I decided to go back into windows and it wouldn t boot I was told to do a system restore and I tried it but the repair utility said simply that an error occured I rebooted and the next time it gave me the option of shutting down or opening advanced options I opened the advanced options and opened up the familiar system restore point utility It told me that it couldn t do a system restore because I needed to enable system protection on my C drive The only thing I could find for that was a powershell command which Windows 8 will not boot and boot repair tools aren't working I can t run from the repair console and some other site saying to run chkdsk R which I ran At the end it told me it could not transfer the log file because error occurred I also tried a refresh which told me it couldn t complete do to an error I think the problem is when I ran grub-install because the log from the boot-repair utility metioned something about MBR which makes me think that grub ignored the EFI system in place and wrote an MBR which could be messing with the windows boot process Is there any more information I can provide to solve this and is there any way I can avoid re-installing windows from scratch Can I even do that with an upgrade license Thanks in advance

A:Windows 8 will not boot and boot repair tools aren't working

I have to agree with your assumption that the MBR was most likely changed, which is causing issues with Windows booting.

Can you post the line from the log that makes you think the MBR was modified?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/474261/windows-8-will-not-boot-and-boot-repair-tools-arent-working/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi all I have a very frustrating problem that appears to be quite common I have searched all the available threads on this site and at Solved: startup or no shutdown sound tried all responses none worked here is my problem My PC is a P running XP SP Solved: no sound at startup or shutdown with lots of memory on board sound card using Realtek up to date drivers re-installed with latest I noticed that I could not see Solved: no sound at startup or shutdown the volume icon in the corner of my PC I have checked the box in the settings for this At startup and shutdown there is no sound and when on youtube there is no audio running firefox latest there is audio when playing a CD or listening to mp s Solved: no sound at startup or shutdown using a media player ie realplayer or windows media I have looked at all the relevant solutions posted on this site ie services audio and been through all the audio settings etc also when in the sound settings for windows sounds the play button is greyed out and you cannot test any sounds nothing works does anyone have this same problem any suggestions thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 54.61%

I am running XP on a computer I built a couple of years ago Lately it is pretty sluggish particularly the startup and shutdown I m hoping to get some advice on what I can get rid of Thanks Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM Duo CPU E GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card ATI Radeon HD Series Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd P -DS P Antivirus ZoneAlarm Antivirus Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled Here is a HijackThis log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Slow startup/shutdown Solved: Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C Solved: Slow startup/shutdown WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe Solved: Slow startup/shutdown C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx Solved: Slow startup/shutdown exe C Program Files CheckPoint ZoneAlarm vsmon exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files CheckPoint ZAForceField IswSvc exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files EPSON EBAPI eEBSVC exe C Program Files CheckPoint ZAForceField ForceField exe C Program Files Common Files ArcSoft Connection Service Bin ACService exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe C WINDOWS Logi MwX Exe C Program Files CheckPoint ZoneAlarm zatray exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static MOM exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Evoluent VMouse V EvoMouseExec exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files Common Files Intuit Update Service IntuitUpdateService exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C Program Files Common Files Motive McciCMService exe c Program Files Microsoft SQL Server Shared sqlwriter exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static ccc exe C Documents and Settings Warren Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Documents and Settings Warren Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Documents and Settings Warren Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Documents and Settings Warren Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Documents and Settings Warren Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Documents and Settings Warren Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Documents and Settings Warren Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Documents and Settings Warren Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C WINDOWS system msiexec exe C Program Files Trend Micro HiJackThis HiJackThis exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO ZoneAlarm Security Engine Registrar - A A C - - D C-BD D- CB EED E - C Program Files CheckPoint ZAForceField TrustChecker bin TrustCheckerIEPlugin dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - E E F - CE- C -BC -EABFE F C - C Program Files Java jre lib depl... Read more

Relevancy 54.61%

Hi All. After doing a very silly thing I had to reformat my computer twice, all seemed to be ok but now I have to click on the shut down button 3 times before my computer exits. On startup the screen remains black and I have to re boot through the power on/off button it reboots on the second try.
I have an advent laptop windows xp pro sp2.
Your help would be much appreciated.

Relevancy 54.61%

When i start up my computer, everything goes fine, but when the welcome screen is about to come up, an error comes up saying

Parser Message
Value created failed " at line 8

Then, it goes to the old style login screen. I have to click OK on the parser message multiple times for it to work. Every time i click it, a wierd noise comes from my computer

Also, when i try to shut down/restart my computer, it only flashes and does nothing

Help please

Relevancy 54.61%

I installed something a few days ago, but upon opening the file nothing opened so I knew something was going on. So apparently it installed some sort of thing that opens a command prompt on startup with millions of shutdown prompts that I can't stop. (I'm in safe mode now.) If you have any idea as to how to stop this from occuring, please help

Relevancy 54.18%

Hi,
I don't seem to be getting audio when using my internet browser. I have tried internet explorer, google chrome and firefox and they are all the same, no audio.. Eg: on you tube i get video but no sound. Also windows system sounds are not working either. ( They are set at default ) Windows media player seems to be working fine though, plays mp3, mp4 etc perfectly and skype is working too.
I have checked master volume control panel and nothing is muted and all levels are set properly. Also checked realtek hd sound manager and no probs there either.
I have run out of ideas now and any that you may have will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks !

A:I have no sound when using internet browser also windows system sounds are not working

You can go to Kelly Korner and lookfor a fix to the system sounds . Kelly's Korner has fixed many items for me that where missing from my O/S . For instance the chevron arrows on the right side of my taskbar and the speaker icon and remove hardware safley icons where also missing . No matter how many times I tried to reconfigure my taskbar thru the control panel and several reboots still no joy ? Kelly's Korner had registry fixes for everything and I was able to get everything back ! Check it out,cant hurt to look and its 100% free !
Good Luck NicRic
This is the link I have i my favorites >http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm#cpiconsmissing

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/304996/i-have-no-sound-when-using-internet-browser-also-windows-system-sounds-are-not-working/
Relevancy 54.18%

Windows XP home has been very sluggish at startup and shutdown XP Slowly Runs Shutdown Startup Solved: & Solved: Solved: at for about a month now I ve run Ad-Aware programs and NIV and have cleaned out my cache files - none of this has helped Below please find my HiJackThis log file contents I just ran it Solved: Solved: Solved: XP Runs Slowly at Startup & Shutdown after I did a clean up and checked for Adware and viruses Adware files found and deleted no viruses Solved: Solved: Solved: XP Runs Slowly at Startup & Shutdown Thanks for your help Courtney Logfile of HijackThis v Solved: Solved: Solved: XP Runs Slowly at Startup & Shutdown Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS System Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SNDSrvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SPBBC SPBBCSvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS System taskswitch exe C WINDOWS Mixer exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X E S I K EXE C Program Files Viewpoint Viewpoint Manager ViewMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Microsoft ActiveSync WCESCOMM EXE C PROGRA AWS WEATHE Weather exe C PROGRA THEWEA DWHeartbeatMonitor exe C PROGRA Webshots webshots scr C WINDOWS system drivers KodakCCS exe C Program Files Norton SystemWorks Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe C Program Files Norton SystemWorks Norton AntiVirus IWP NPFMntor exe C PROGRA NORTON NORTON NPROTECT EXE C PROGRA NORTON NORTON SPEEDD NOPDB EXE C Program Files Microsoft ActiveSync WCESMgr exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office OUTLOOK EXE C Program Files Norton SystemWorks Norton AntiVirus OPScan exe C Documents and Settings Courtney Desktop HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http my msn com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer http CookieCop R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride windowsupdate lt local gt localhost O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - C Program Files Norton SystemWorks Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - BHO EpsonToolBandKicker Class - E FB- DD- F -B AC-B CAE F A - C Program Files EPSON EPSON Web-To-Page EPSON Web-To-Page dll O - Toolbar EPSON Web-To-Page - EE D F- B- - D-C B AAEBA D - C Program Files EPSON EPSON Web-To-Page EPSON Web-To-Page dll O - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - C Program Files Norton SystemWorks Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS System NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe install O - HKLM Run CoolSwitch C WINDOWS System taskswitch exe O - HKLM Run C-Media Mixer Mixer exe startup O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKLM Run Symantec NetDriver Monitor C PROGRA SYMNET SNDMon exe O - HKLM Run EPSON Stylus Photo RX C WINDOWS... Read more

Relevancy 54.18%

I am experiencing a very slow startup It is usually at least minutes before I can click on anything to get it to come up Shutdown is just as bad Have added startup processes startup;shutdown Extremely slow Solved: also to this post I have a Toshiba laptop running XP Home Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost Solved: Extremely slow startup;shutdown exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SNDSrvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SPBBC SPBBCSvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Solved: Extremely slow startup;shutdown Files AOL ACS AOLAcsd exe C Program Files Common Files AOL TopSpeed aoltsmon exe C WINDOWS System DRIVERS CDANTSRV EXE C PROGRA Iomega System AppServices exe C Program Files Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe C Program Files Norton AntiVirus IWP NPFMntor exe C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMAgent exe C WINDOWS wanmpsvc exe C Program Files Iomega AutoDisk ADService exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS System THotkey exe C WINDOWS System igfxtray exe C WINDOWS System hkcmd exe C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX PmProxy exe C Program Files ltmoh Ltmoh exe C WINDOWS AGRSMMSG exe C Program Files Apoint K Apoint exe C WINDOWS system TFNF exe C WINDOWS system TPWRTRAY EXE C Program Files TOSHIBA TouchED TouchED Exe C Program Files Toshiba ConfigFree NDSTray exe C WINDOWS System ezSP Px exe C toshiba ivp ism pinger exe C Program Files Iomega AutoDisk ADUserMon exe C Program Files Iomega DriveIcons ImgIcon exe C Program Files NETGEAR WG SCU Utility Gear exe C Program Files Viewpoint Viewpoint Manager ViewMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ACS AOLDial exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files Apoint K Apntex exe C PROGRA PURENE PORTMA PortAOL exe C Program Files Microsoft AntiSpyware gcasServ exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ee AOLHostManager exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ee AOLServiceHost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Microsoft AntiSpyware gcasDtServ exe C Program Files The Weather Channel FW Desktop Weather DesktopWeather exe c program files common files aol ee services antiSpywareApp ver AOLSP Scheduler exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ee AOLServiceHost exe C Program Files America Online a waol exe C Program Files CheckIt CheckIt exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared Security Console NSCSRVCE EXE C Program Files America Online a shellmon exe C WINDOWS pchealth helpctr binaries helpctr exe C WINDOWS PCHealth HelpCtr Binaries HelpSvc exe C PROGRA COMMON MICROS Msinfo OFFPRV EXE C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Documents and Settings RANDY My Documents HJT hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http us rd yahoo com customize ycomp adbe defaults sb http www yahoo com search ie html R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http us rd yahoo com customize ycomp adbe defaults sp http www yahoo com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www lycos com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www toshiba com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http us rd yahoo com customize ycomp adbe defaults sb http www yahoo com search ie html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http us rd yahoo com customize ycomp adbe defaults sp http www yahoo com R - HKLM Softw... Read more

Relevancy 54.18%

my startup and shutdown is pretty slow, could somebody help me to make this faster. Thanks.

Relevancy 54.18%

I have had several DEP warnings for WMP and graphic and video apps I didn t feel comfortable shutting DEP off for a lot of exe s COM surrogate usually or apps exe file name Also a cmd shell window pops up randomly and closes too fast too read it sluggish. Solved: Shell shutdown pop startup and & up appears to only have line It doesn t appear Solved: Shell pop up and shutdown & startup sluggish. to happen during any certain programs just random Also Solved: Shell pop up and shutdown & startup sluggish. sometimes Vista will take or more minutes to shutdown and upon startup it takes even longer The icons load then minutes later the background side bar ect Opening anything after that takes forever If I run a norton scan it starts slow but after it has accessed all my files and finished everything seems normal Here is HJT Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Windows System smss exe C Windows system csrss exe C Windows system wininit exe C Windows system services exe C Windows system lsass exe C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe C Windows system nvvsvc exe C Windows system svchost exe C Windows System svchost exe C Windows System svchost exe C Windows system svchost exe C Windows system SLsvc exe C Windows system svchost exe C Windows system svchost exe C Windows System spoolsv exe C Windows system svchost exe C Windows system svchost exe c Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exe c Program Files Microsoft SQL Server MSSQL MSSQL Binn sqlservr exe C Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton Internet Security Engine ccSvcHst exe C Windows system svchost exe c Program Files Microsoft SQL Server Shared sqlbrowser exe c Program Files Microsoft SQL Server Shared sqlwriter exe C Windows system svchost exe C Program Files ThreatFire TFService exe C Windows System svchost exe C Windows system SearchIndexer exe C Windows system DRIVERS xaudio exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe c Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Health Check hphc service exe C Windows Microsoft Net Framework v WPF PresentationFontCache exe C Windows system UI Detect exe C Windows system csrss exe C Windows system winlogon exe C Windows system rundll exe C Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton Internet Security Engine ccSvcHst exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C WINDOWS RtHDVCpl exe C hp support hpsysdrv exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard On-Screen OSD Indicator OSD exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files ThreatFire TFTray exe C WINDOWS System rundll exe C Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exe C WINDOWS ehome ehtray exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnscfg exe C Windows ehome ehmsas exe C Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exe C hp kbd kbd exe C Program Files Internet Explorer ieuser exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files HP Smart Web Printing hpswp clipbook exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLLoginProxy exe C Windows system Macromed Flash FlashUtil a exe C Windows system DllHost exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale en us amp c amp bd Pavilion amp pf desktop R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http cm my yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale en us amp c amp bd Pavilion amp pf desktop R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet E... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-shell-pop-up-and-shutdown-startup-sluggish.780716/
Relevancy 54.18%

Every morning it takes me several attempts to get Windows up and running The computer goes through the POST OK and during the quot windows is starting quot logo Windows during Shutdown startup after about seconds everything turns off except system fans No blue screen - just nothing I have tried safe mode and other modes and Shutdown during Windows startup have also disconnected hardware usb ram hd etc but it still happens Booting from the Windows DVD no problems After half a dozen Shutdown during Windows startup attempts the system boots up fine and runs all day even rebooting OK if I need to Almost like a car that doesn't like cold starts Logs only show typical boot up errors Diagnostics and windows repair can't find anything wrong Only solution so far is to leave the PC on - not good Everything is backed up just in case one day I cannot start up at all System is a few yrs old AMD FOXCONN mb IDE HDs GB max ram and I had several hardware problems during installation Any ideas please

A:Shutdown during Windows startup

Has this always been the case??

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/131984-shutdown-during-windows-startup.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I have a IBM thinkpad with 512 Mb ram computer Problem #1 it taks a vary long time before the task bar has finshed loading all the startup applications Problem#2 when I exit windowsXP may computer does not shut down automaticly

ManyThanks!!!
Spata

A:Windows XP startup &shutdown

Please do not create more than one thread for the same issue.

Closing duplicate.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-startup-shutdown.1033039/
Relevancy 54.18%

I have Ibm thinkpad computer with 512mb ram problem #1 my computer does not shutdown when I exit windowsXP
it stops responding problem#2 it takes a long time to startup at the task bar
Thank!!!
spata

A:Windows XP startup & shutdown

First thing to try is to start it in Safe mode by tapping the F8 key as soon as you switch on and select Safe Mode from the advance boot menu.

See if it boots into Safe mode any quicker and then see what the shut down speed is like.

Post back your findings. Also tell me (in Normal mode) if there are any other problems during normal operation, anything taking longer than usual to happen. Look in task manager when no software or browser is open and tell me what the CPU is running at.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-startup-shutdown.1033036/
Relevancy 53.75%

My CD drive isn't reading CD's. I checked it out and it says its working fine but when I put a disk in it says there isn't one there. Help!

A:Cd's aren't working!

Hi Claudia, welcome to TSG....

I'll move this to the hardware forum....

What's the history of the cdrom, has it ever worked, has it been cleaned lately?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cds-arent-working.55582/
Relevancy 53.75%

I need help figuring out why my Ticking sounds shutdown after computer makes ticking sounds after I shut it down I asked a technician at Freys and he told me that it needed a new hard drive So I went and replaced the hard drive and it keeps making it In addition to the sound it also Ticking sounds after shutdown has a light that blinks in the front in unison with the ticking sound It s as if the computer is not turned off all the way I thought about replacing the case and or power supply but want somebody else s opinion before I undertake that My operating system is Windows xp and it seems to be working fine I have scanned for viruses and spyware and feel it is fine in that respect My CD burner hadn t been working right also It would get extremely hot so I went ahead and replaced that to see if that was causing the problem Now the light of the burner also blinks along with the light in the front of the case in unison with the ticking sound Please give me some advice guys Thanks nbsp

A:Ticking sounds after shutdown

Help us so we can help you. Fill in the "User Profile", top left any page.
Give specifics of your OS and your power-supply as well.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ticking-sounds-after-shutdown.18658/
Relevancy 53.75%

I m working on an eMachine The pc wouldn t power on and the power supply was making a strange noise I ve seen many eMachines fried because of a bad psu but I tried a different power supply anyway and it worked sort of With a new psu it powers on and works fine while it s on but when ever I shut it down all the lights keyboard HD Pwr shutdown sounds Lights after & still blink constantly and I can here the power supply making a clicking sound with Lights & sounds after shutdown its fans still running I have to use the switch to turn it off and when I turn the switch back on all the lights stay off as they are supposed to I ve checked every single cable to see if anything was loose The power supply has plenty of power for this little eMachines amp I ve gone through all the bios power settings I ve also taken out everything but the bare necessities just MB amp HD and it still does the same thing I saw another thread that sounds exactly like my Lights & sounds after shutdown problem but was never solved http www techspot com vb all windows t- -Ticking-sounds-after-shutdown html Any ideas greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Lights & sounds after shutdown

Can Linux shut down the machine properly? Try Knoppix.
Update the BIOS or replace the motherboard?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lights-sounds-after-shutdown.71194/
Relevancy 53.32%

Here s Solved: problem-can XP someone help? WQindows SP2-Startup-shutdown-restarting the problem This computer once running does fine and after it runs for awhile you can restart it or shut it down and then start it up with kinow problem HOWEVER if it is not running shutdown for a few hours or over night then you try to start it the monitor will usually flicker a couple of times and then the normal start Solved: WQindows XP SP2-Startup-shutdown-restarting problem-can someone help? up stuff the black and white screen where it is finding everything etc goes by then an error message comes up and in seconds the computer shutsdown and eithier will not start again or keep rebooting it is like a second count down it is not that NT AUTHORITY type thing I ask my buddy to try to get the error message written down so he did and this Solved: WQindows XP SP2-Startup-shutdown-restarting problem-can someone help? is waht it says Recent hardware or software change might have caused this he said there has been no hardware added or other downloads If your computer stopped responding restarted unexspectedly or was automatically shutdown to protect your files and folders choose last known good configuration to revert to the most resent settings that worked If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because a power or reset button was pressed or if you are not sure what caused the problem choose start windows normally It gives the different startup modes safemode safemode with networking last know good configuration normally etc he said the normally one is always highlighted and there is a second countdown and then the computer will either shutdown or keep restarting I ran all the stuff on his computer the Spybot adware spyblaster microsoft antispyware Ewido put on script defender ie-spyad I caught some spyware and adware but nothing serious the computer is clean He had Noron antivirus on and did not pay for it for another year so I guess he downloaded E-trust I asked his wife if she ran it and she said she ran a full scan and it was clean I was inside the compter and it was really really dirty caked on so I told him to get a can of compressed air and showed him how to clean it cause when I saw it start and flicker it reminde me of sometning not making a good connection and then all of a sudden does thats why I thought that after it has run for awhile and was warmed up it would restart because then it was making a good connection but must have been wrong again he called me today and says it not won t start it gets to that error and then keeps rebooting I told him I would come an get it and try to fix it for him any help would be appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: WQindows XP SP2-Startup-shutdown-restarting problem-can someone help?

I found out what it was, I found my power supply tester and the power supply is no good, it must have been on its way out and just starting sometimes, I hooked up an old power supply I had and it started right up. So I will close this thread, Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-wqindows-xp-sp2-startup-shutdown-restarting-problem-can-someone-help.451050/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi All Last night in a rush to go after Solved: startup shutdown slow improper Bizarre out I shut down my computer by holding down the power button instead of waiting for windows to close the open programs and shut down properly When I got back I turned the computer on and the boot process was severely messed up After the animated black Solved: Bizarre slow startup after improper shutdown Windows XP screen it goes Solved: Bizarre slow startup after improper shutdown black for a few minutes then the blue screen that says windows is starting up or something similar appears but stays for another or so minutes Then the Solved: Bizarre slow startup after improper shutdown Welcome blue screen comes up but stays for even longer When Windows finally loads the wallpaper loads then the desktop icons note programs correct icons don t show only window default exe icon then the taskbar but the task bar remains white and only has the start button quick launch and clock - no other icons show It stays like this indefinitely with the CPU light flashing and the computer seemingly loading I left it on all night and it got no forther When in that state anything I click on including ctrl-alt-del takes about minutes to do I tried safe mode - it took so long to load I gave up I tried ERD Commander - not even that would load past a blank screen with a cursor I tried booting from the Windows CD - the reinstall option isn t there and it doesn t spot the previous installation I am using Windows XP Home SP - Can ANYONE help Is there a solution or do I have to format and reinstall Eek nbsp

Relevancy 53.32%

I have a problem that began yesterday my windows XP Pro has started freezing at startup and if I try to shut down it does nothing as well I have done numerous scans with housecall norton adaware avast and they have not come up with a single thing I can run the computer fine in safemode but if I retry the normal startup it just sits A few things show on the on Windows freezing startup/shutdown system tray but not all the usual things i e the wireless internet connectivity icon etc If I click Windows freezing on startup/shutdown on start it pops up completely blank where the program files would show I cannot even open task manager in normal startup I also tried restoring to a previous point and that did nothing to help I ran hijackthis here is the log fileLogfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Safe mode with network supportRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWService exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Program Files AOL waol exeC Program Files jv PowerTools jv PT exeC Program Files Common Files AOL ACS AOLacsd exeC Program Files AOL shellmon exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files Common Files aol ee aolsoftware exeC Program Files Common Files AOL Topspeed aoltpsd exeC Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWTray exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http homepage acer com rdr aspx b ACAW a wu w l R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http homepage acer com rdr aspx b ACAW a wu w l R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http homepage acer com rdr aspx b ACAW a wu w l F - REG system ini UserInit C WINDOWS system userinit exeO - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dllO - BHO no name - C C A-E - b - D - CECB - no file O - BHO Symantec NCO BHO - ADB E- AFF- - AA - DAC DFA - C Program Files Norton Security Suite Engine coIEPlg dllO - BHO Symantec Intrusion Prevention - D EC - AAE- -AEEE-F F C - C Program Files Norton Security Suite Engine IPSBHO DLLO - BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dllO - BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - E E F - CE- C -BC -EABFE F C - C Program Files Java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dllO - Toolbar Norton Toolbar - FEBEFE - B - - D -FFB D B CA - C Program Files Norton Security Suite Engine coIEPlg dllO - HKLM Run IAAnotif C Program Files Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager iaanotif exeO - HKLM Run LManager C PROGRA LAUNCH LManager exeO - HKLM Run IgfxTray C WINDOWS system igfxtray exeO - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS system hkcmd exeO - HKLM Run Persistence C WINDOWS system igfxpers exeO - HKLM Run RTHDCPL RTHDCPL EXEO - HKLM Run Alcmtr ALCMTR EXEO - HKLM Run AzMixerSel C Program Files Realtek Audio Drivers AzMixerSel exeO - HKLM Run CarboniteSetupLite quot C Program Files Carbonite CarbonitePreinstaller exe quot preinstalledO - HKLM Run IMJPMIG quot C WINDOWS IME imjp IMJPMIG EXE quot Spoil RemAdvDef Migration O - HKLM Run MSPY C WINDOWS system IME PINTLGNT ImScInst exe SYNCO - HKLM Run PHIME ASync C WINDOWS system IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE SYNCO - HKLM Run PHIME A C WINDOWS system IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE IMENameO - HKLM Run PLFSetL C WINDOWS PLFSetL exeO - HKLM Run snp uvc rundll exe C WINDOWS system csnp uvc dll ResetCIDSO - HKLM Run SynTPEnh C Pr... Read more

A:Windows freezing on startup/shutdown

Hello , And to the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Forum. My name is Elise and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.I will be working on your malware issues, this may or may not solve other issues you may have with your machine.Please note that whatever repairs we make, are for fixing your computer problems only and by no means should be used on another computer.The cleaning process is not instant. Logs can take some time to research, so please be patient with me. I know that you need your computer working as quickly as possible, and I will work hard to help see that happen. Please reply using the Add/Reply button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Do not start a new topic. The logs that you post should be pasted directly into the reply. Only attach them if requested or if they do not fit into the post.Unfortunately, if I do not hear back from you within 5 days, I will be forced to close your topic. If you still need help after I have closed your topic, send me or a moderator a personal message with the address of the thread or feel free to create a new one.You may want to keep the link to this topic in your favorites. Alternatively, you can click the button at the top bar of this topic and Track this Topic, where you can choose email notifications. The topics you are tracking are shown here.-----------------------------------------------------------If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.If you have already posted a log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Please download OTL from one of the following mirrors:This is THE MirrorSave it to your desktop.Double click on the icon on your desktop.Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.Push the button.Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here:OTListIt.txt <-- Will be openedExtra.txt <-- Will be minimizedPlease download Rootkit Unhooker and save it to your DesktopDouble-click on RKUnhookerLE to run itClick the Report tab, then click ScanCheck Drivers, Stealth and uncheck the restClick OKWait until it's finished and then go to File > Save ReportSave the report to your DesktopCopy the entire contents of the report and paste it in a reply here.Note - you may get this warning it is ok, just ignore: "Rootkit Unhooker has detected a parasite inside itself!It is recommended to remove parasite, okay?"-------------------------------------------------------------In the meantime please, do NOT install any new programs or update anything unless told to do so while we are fixing your problemIf you still need help, please include the following in your next replyA detailed description of your problemsA new OTL log (don't forget extra.txt)RKU logThanks and again sorry for the delay.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/340631/windows-freezing-on-startupshutdown/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have built a new computer which has a Gig Pentium processor and a WD Gig hard drive I loaded Windows XP Professional and it started out working fine but now when I start up it says quot Welcome quot and that is it It just sits there for about minutes and then sometimes it will go into Windows and give me an error message about there is no quot Paging File quot Problem Windows XP Shutdown Startup & and sometimes it just sits Windows XP Startup & Shutdown Problem there indefinately I don t understand anything about this but sometimes it won t go into windows at all unless I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and then it will go into Windows When I shut down it is the same problem It says preparing to shut down and nothing ever happens I am not sure what to do It gives me a solution to the paging file error message and I do exactly what it says but everytime I reboot it says the same thing again I need major help Please HELP Thanks nbsp

A:Windows XP Startup & Shutdown Problem

moving to 2k/xp forum

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-startup-shutdown-problem.66784/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello I am running a Lenovo Thinkpad T Laptop with Intel Core Duo CPU T GHz GB x64 Startup/Shutdown Pro 7 at Windows Freezes RAM NVidia Quadro M SoundMax Integrated HD digital Audio Bluetooth I recently swapped the deliverd hard drive to a Seagate GB RPM drive and loaded Windows Pro bit I am running Norton PCTools Spyware Doctor Microsoft Office Quickbooks Pro Quicken and other applications Since I did this rebuild I have noticed some random freezing Particularly when I boot up and do not use the computer for a few minutes In other words I power on the computer it goes to the login screen I Windows 7 Pro x64 Freezes at Startup/Shutdown login and walk away for a few minutes When I return the computer is frozen Interestingly if I don't walk away and begin to use the computer right away it works fine stays fine and is very stable Sometimes it will freeze upon shutdown and I will have to hard power button off I run through all of my drivers and have updated as needed I have also turned off some of the Startup Services like Google updater and some of the Lenovo Tools stuff I am wondering if anyone has any insights into any of this I am beginning to consider switching to Apple I am seeing the following critical errors checked the log for the past hours Bonjour Service Event ID Application Hang Event ID Quickbooks Event ID VSS Event ID Any other insights would be greatly appreciated Thanks for any responses Marc

A:Windows 7 Pro x64 Freezes at Startup/Shutdown

Quote: Originally Posted by MarcSuben

Hello,

I am running a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 Laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7800, @ 2.60 GHz, 4 GB RAM, NVidia Quadro 140M, SoundMax Integrated HD digital Audio, Bluetooth.

I recently swapped the deliverd hard drive to a Seagate 250GB 7200 RPM drive, and loaded Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

I am running Norton 360 4.3.0.5, PCTools Spyware Doctor 7.0.0.514, Microsoft Office 2007, Quickbooks Pro 2010, Quicken 2010, and other applications.

Since I did this rebuild, I have noticed some random freezing. Particularly when I boot up, and do not use the computer for a few minutes. In other words, I power on the computer, it goes to the login screen, I login, and walk away for a few minutes. When I return...the computer is frozen. Interestingly, if I don't walk away, and begin to use the computer right away, it works fine, stays fine, and is very stable.

Sometimes it will freeze upon shutdown, and I will have to hard power button off.

I run through all of my drivers, and have updated as needed. I have also turned off some of the Startup Services, like Google updater and some of the Lenovo Tools stuff.

I am wondering if anyone has any insights into any of this. I am beginning to consider switching to Apple....

I am seeing the following critical errors (checked the log for the past 24 hours):

Bonjour Service, Event ID 100
Application Hang, Event ID 1002
Quickbooks, Event ID 4
VSS, Event ID 8194
Any other insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any responses.

Marc

Sorry Marc but no DMP files included

Try This method

If you wish to have others assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder. The procedure:

* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
* Zip up the copy.
* Start your own thread in the appropriate section of the forum and attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button.
* Briefly describe the problem history and circumstances in the same post. Somebody will attend to your query as soon as possible.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/120196-windows-7-pro-x64-freezes-startup-shutdown.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello every one I hope some one out there can help solve my problem Problem Extreamly slow startup and shut down of windows xp Have to press F to continue start up processes no PS mouse deteced --I use a USB mouse Internet is slow and lags alot History Completley new rebuilt computor system Clean install of windows Xp home W Sp to include all updates Mother Board Specs Chipset AMD X AMD RD Chipset - HyperTransport connection to AMD Phenom Athlon processor - HyperTransport supporting speed up to GHz mt s - Supports PCI-E x amp PCI-E X ATI SB Chipset - Supports SATAII controllers for four drives - Supports single channel Ultra DMA Windows slow startup/shutdown Xp master mode EIDE controller - ACPI amp PC compliant enhanced power managment - Windows Xp slow startup/shutdown Supports Hi-Speed USB controller mbsec transfer rate up to ports Slots Two PCI Express X slots support ATI CrossFire Technology PCI Express Bus Specification v compliant Slot configurations Windows Xp slow startup/shutdown Dual CrossFire X X One PCI Express X slot Two -bit PCI slots v v PCI Bus Master slots Windows Xp slow startup/shutdown LAN Realtek B LAN chip - Supports Mb s Mb s and Mb s - Compliance with PCI-Express v a ------------------ System Information ------------------ Operating System Windows XP Home Edition Build Service Pack Language German Regional Setting German System Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO LTD System Model MS- BIOS Default System BIOS Processor AMD Athlon tm X Dual Core Processor MMX DNow CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available DirectX Version DirectX c DxDiag Version bit Unicode --------------- Display Devices --------------- Card name NVIDIA GeForce GT Manufacturer NVIDIA Chip type GeForce GT DAC type Integrated RAMDAC Display Memory MB Current Mode x bit Hz Monitor Plug und Play-Monitor Monitor Max Res ------------------- DirectInput Devices ------------------- Device Name Logitech Wheel Mouse USB ------------------------ Disk amp DVD CD-ROM Drives ------------------------ Drive C Free Space GB Total Space GB File System NTFS Model ST A System Devices -------------- Name Realtek RTL PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC Power Supply w I hope I have given enough information about my system and my problem

A:Windows Xp slow startup/shutdown

Hello again
Guess every one is stumped on this one eh?

I tryed afew things: Nothing worked

Updated mother board BIOS
Updated my grafics card drivers
Defraged my system
Ran Galery Utility and cleaned the registry
and ran Dx diagonostic

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-slow-startup-shutdown-213179.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Thanks in advance.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron Laptop with Windows 7. I just got it like a month ago. Recently it has decided to be a real bugger. Everytime I try to start it up, it either gets stuck on the "welcome" screen or advances past it and goes to a pitch black screen with just a cursor. I've also found that if I try to shut the computer down without just pressing the power button, it can't turn off. I'm not sure what to do about it. Any advice?

A:Windows 7 Startup/Shutdown Failure

If it gets to the black screen with the cursor, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, choose task manager, click New Task, enter "exporer" (no quotes), see if that starts windows.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/98993-windows-7-startup-shutdown-failure.html
Relevancy 53.32%

My computer has regressed over time in performance. Maybe it's because I have installed a lot of programs I'm not sure but the os is slow to shut down. I get message Waiting for background programs to close and it was explorer.exe. As matter fact explorer.exe is really causing issues in os. Crashing frequently, hogging resources, its frustrating! What is wrong with the os? I know Windows 7 is not perfect os but is this normal? 

A:Windows 7 slow to shutdown and startup

Regressed is not right word sorry. Actually windows 7 performs reasonably well it's just when it starts up or shutdowns it takes more time now then ever before. I guess it's normal when I first installed the os it started up and shutdown in no time.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/629606/windows-7-slow-to-shutdown-and-startup/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello,
Some days ago I installed Windows 8 (clean install), everything works fine except that it always crashes after a shutdown. It crashes right at the logo, just freezes there. Also it only happens if I shut it down "properly", if I restart the computer or if I force it to shutdown it doesn't crash. I suspect the problem is a driver but I'm not sure...
If someone could help.

Thanks

A:Windows 8 crash at startup after shutdown

Get rid of ddrv.sys I don't know what it does. The file is dated Sat Jun 30 20:55:59 2012. I also don't have the symbols of your kernel. What version are you running?>

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/13504-windows-8-crash-startup-after-shutdown.html
Relevancy 53.32%

If i shutdown my laptop en after that startp again i always get a BSOD. Attached is the minidump folder content. Let me know if your need more details.
Thanks in advance for your help!

A:Windows 8 BSOD during startup after shutdown

solved this by installing te latest intel sata controller driver

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/31884-windows-8-bsod-during-startup-after-shutdown.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello I have a windows xp home edition desktop computer and since the other night when Shutdown Issues And SP3: XP Startup Windows i turned my computer on it took alot longer than usual to startup When i start the computer it used to take about - seconds to finish startup so i can use the system but Windows XP SP3: Startup And Shutdown Issues know when i turn the computer on it loads up fine until the blue screen saying welcome on it Windows XP SP3: Startup And Shutdown Issues comes up and it freezes on that screen But after a min or two of waiting it will load up windows and my desktop appears but then it takes a furthur few seconds to load up the taskbar and when i try and use the start button it wont be functional for a few mins For my computer tis is not a normal way of it starting up I have a fair amount of knowledge with computers but this one just seems to confuse me with what the problem is I have done Virus Malware Spyware scans and nothing has been detected I have gone through the startup entries but they are all normal I really dont no what it is but ibe gratefulf or soem help Please find below some more specs and a hijack this log to better understand what happening with my system Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC Program Files AVG AVG avgchsvx exeC Program Files AVG AVG avgrsx exeC Program Files AVG AVG avgcsrvx exeC Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exeC Program Files AVG AVG avgwdsvc exeC Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Java jre bin jqs exeC WINDOWS System snmp exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files Trend Micro Web Protection Add-On TmProxy exeC Program Files Trend Micro Web Protection Add-On TMWebProtect exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC WINDOWS system VTTimer exeC WINDOWS system VTtrayp exeC Program Files Trend Micro Web Protection Add-On TMWebProtectTray exeC PROGRA AVG AVG avgtray exeC Program Files Windows Live Messenger msnmsgr exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files Windows Media Player WMPNSCFG exeC Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exeC Documents and Settings ChapperZ My Documents Downloads HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page about blankR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localO - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dllO - BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dllO - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveShellExtensions dllO - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dllO - BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dllO - Toolbar no name - D C F- A- -A AD- D - no file O - HKLM Run VTTimer VTTimer exeO - HKLM Run VTTrayp VTtrayp exeO - HKLM Run TMWebProtectTray quot C Pro... Read more

A:Windows XP SP3: Startup And Shutdown Issues

Just a follow up: I noticed explorer.exe seems to come unresponsive during startup. i cant use the start button my computer until i end the process of explorer.exe and then start it again.Hello ChapperZHTID,We ask that once you have posted your log and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your thread or make further replies until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The reason we ask this or do not respond to your requests is because that would remove you from the active queue that Techs and Staff have access to. The malware staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response, there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.That is why I have made an edit to your last post, instead of a reply. Please do not multiple post here, as that only pushes you further down the queue and causes confusion to the staff.Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible.Thank you for understanding.Regards,The weatherman (Moderator)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/269895/windows-xp-sp3-startup-and-shutdown-issues/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium. This morning when I tried start-up all I got was the home-screen with my wallpaper and none of my icons.I tried starting in safe mode but nothing happens although I know something is running because the hourglass figure is there. I can't shut down from menu and must use the power button. Nothing new was installed and I have Kaspersky AV running at all times so I can't have a virus. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

A:Windows 7 laptop won't startup or shutdown

Actually you could have a virus. An antivirus is not a guarantee.
That being said, is all your stuff backed up?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/303028-windows-7-laptop-wont-startup-shutdown.html
Relevancy 53.32%

My computer has regressed over time in performance. Maybe it's because I have installed a lot of programs I'm not sure but the os is slow to shut down. I get message Waiting for background programs to close and it was explorer.exe. As matter fact explorer.exe is really causing issues in os. Crashing frequently, hogging resources, its frustrating! What is wrong with the os? I know Windows 7 is not perfect os but is this normal?

A:Windows 7 slow to shutdown and startup

Here is a short answer to your question. Windows 7 is quite reliable and very effective and most users do not have the kind of problems you are experiencing.Rather than suspect your operating system, why not consider a possible hardware problem. Memory errors are not always flagged by Windows. Also, some types of hardware errors are not easy to diagnose. One of the tools you should have in your resource Kit is some kind of bootable USB or CD that will test the memory. There is a version of Mame test 86 that will do that.The other problem that most often slowed the computer down is some difficulty with the disk drive. Again, way to check this quiz with some kind of diagnostic tool that focuses on the integrity of the disk drive. If you have a Seagate drive you can go to the Seagate website and find a tool for testing Seagate drives. Same goes for Western Digital, they also have a testing tool for their hard drives.You did not specify what kind of computer you have so it's difficult to guess what sort of problems are frequent with that brand or make of computer unless we know what the make and model is.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,158521.0.html
Relevancy 53.32%

example:

please help!

A:the colors aren't working

Hi ... Welcome to Seven Forums ... Is your issue just related to Youtube ? ...

Does it happen in all Browsers or just Chrome ? ...

Please fill in your System Specs ... The Link below will help you achieve this ...
System Info - See Your System Specs

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/376136-colors-arent-working.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I have upgraded from Win8 to 8.1 and still doesn't work. can someone please help me? I use this laptop for work and school! Have also been advised to upgrade the BIOS, which I don't really know the importance and I have done it. Still doesn't work! Help me Acer family... 

http://community.acer.com/t5/E-and-M-Series-Laptops/My-E1-510-ports-aren-t-working/td-p/452298
Relevancy 53.32%

Ill start with hardware specs Im using a HP Pavilion dv ea running Windows Ultimate Intel Core Duo CPU T GHz Typing this off System Info I havent really learnt anything about hardware but I'm assuming this is all you need to Aren't Programs Working? know Right I have Programs Aren't Working? a gb hard drive a few days Programs Aren't Working? ago I decided to install WoW after years of not playing it last time I played it required about gb to install and I had about gb left so I thought I'd just install and it'd be fine but no As I began to install I had a message saying I needed at least gb free so I decided to wipe about gb of music and gb of software since I was freeing up space I thought I'd delete things I didn't need and since doing so my laptop has turned on me The only changes made to Programs Aren't Working? my laptop have been the deletion of music and some un-needed software and the installation of WoW surely this wouldn't mess my laptop up So after rebooting following the installation of WoW I noticed that my CPU and weather 'gadget' had kind of disappeared the icon to move them was still there but the interface wasn't I believe it's called an interface haha The CPU gadget was just like a small white box and the weather one was just not there But this is the least of my problems Since then by the way the WoW installation was nights ago - Christmas night well as of today my Windows Media Player refuses to work the mouse cursor shows signs of loading for about a second but the program doesn't open I have googled but no luck with what's wrong About an hour ago I turned the laptop off to shower let it cool down for a bit - HP Pavilion overheat when I turned it back on my Windows Live Messenger wouldn't start either Its doing the same thing Windows Media Player is doing I have absolutely no idea what could be wrong hopefully someone here knows And whilst I'm here I have another issue which may just be programming errors or my laptop could be screwed When I bought this laptop about years ago it had gb RAM installed it used to be really fast but recently it has been running pretty slow So whilst looking at System Information according to 'Glary Utilities' earlier well as I started this post I noticed 'Memory - MB Speed ' I'm not sure what the Speed part means but according to the System Info in Windows control panel my installed memory is gb how is this possible If anyone can help me with this too I'd be really really grateful especially if my laptop runs better haha Thanks for any help in advance D

Relevancy 53.32%

Just today, while I was going on YouTube to watch some videos, I turned on my speakers and played the video. For some reason, the sound didn't come out. I turned the speakers on and off, but that didn't work. I unplugged the wire hooking it up to the computer, but that didn't work either.

Please, someone help me fix this problem. I don't want to resort to buying new ones.

A:Speakers aren't working

Why not start with some details about the configuration? Also, did you try plugging earphones in the speaker jack to see if it's the computer or the speakers? I'd do that before I bought new speakers!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/speakers-arent-working.691053/
Relevancy 53.32%

So I have a laptop which is an Hp probook in which my webcam isn't working. It happened like 2 months ago. I started to check for every solution but nothing worked, then I bought a new webcam so that maybe it works but it also didn't work. I checked the device manager and it says that the device is working properly for both of the webcams but when I check it with the hp camera it tells me that the camera is either used by another software or is not connected. it also doesn't work on other stuff like skype and fb and others. Can somebody help me please.

A:My webcams aren't working

You may need to restore the laptop to a factory condition by using the HP restore feature...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-webcams-arent-working.195408/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi all Can someone tell me why my icon pix pix aren't icon working aren't working right In Win Pro in the 'properties' context menu for shortcuts I lt click gt on the 'customize' icon pix aren't working tab then click lt change icon gt lt browse gt navigate icon pix aren't working to my icons folder click icon pix aren't working on the icon image file I want for this shortcut then a selection window appears showing the image with it already selected I click lt OK gt and now I see the selected image on the properties window as far as I know these are the proper steps to assign a custom image to a shortcut right I know these same steps worked a few days ago on another group of shortcuts However when I click lt apply gt lt lt lt nothing gt gt gt happens consequently when I click lt OK gt lt lt lt nothing gt gt gt happens again I repeat these same steps several times with always the same lt lt lt nothing gt gt gt happens results Can anyone tell me why this is happening Also this same thing occurs a lot even when selecting the default icon images in the Windows default image path but when and IF this happens I'll select a different icon image and this will often but not ALL the time work right amp assign the image to the shortcut Why is this

A:icon pix aren't working

Hi,

Try clearing and rebuilding the Icon Cache

Open an elevated command prompt in Windows 7http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-elevated-command-prompt/
or
Open an elevated command prompt in Windows 8http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/open-an-elevated-command-prompt-in-windows-8/

Copy/Paste or Type each command in Section A. one at a time and press <Enter> after each.
The last line will force the computer to shutdown!
(Make sure you save all of your work before executing these lines)!

Section A.
ie4uinit.exe -ClearIconCache <Enter>

taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F <Enter>

DEL "%localappdata%\IconCache.db" /A <Enter>

shutdown /r /f /t 00 <Enter>

Best of luck and Please keep BC posted!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/553040/icon-pix-arent-working/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have total USB ports built into my computer Two in the front and four in the back They have magically stopped working I cannot connect to the net with it using my USB network adapter it will not recognize my external HDD though ports my USB aren't working??? Why this laptop does it will not recognize my MP player It will however recognize my XBOX controller I have been using forever and a day This problem just happened within the past hrs of me posting this At first I thought it might be a virus preventing my from Why aren't my USB ports working??? using my USB ports but I ve been doing some research and other people have had this problem almost I am running Windows XP SP I have checked the device manager and it says that everything is running correctly When I unplug a USB device and plug it back in a small usb icon appears next to the clock I double click on it and brings up a window that says that there is an quot unknown device quot plugged in I ve tried reinstalling the drivers and nothing seems to help The strangest thing about this whole problem is that they all didn t go bad at the same time First it was the front two then the others went bad When the front two went bad I was still able to connect to the net using my usb network adapter which was plugged into the back Now none of them work I m very frustrated because I cannot afford to get anything fixed I m quite poor I only have net because it comes free with the apt complex I live in Please help me Thank you in advance nbsp

A:Why aren't my USB ports working???

Have you tried doing a system restore to a date prior to when the problem started?
vicks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/why-arent-my-usb-ports-working.801931/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hey Gang I m using a store brand of DVDRW I purchased them several months ago Recently I recorded some movies on to several of them At the time they worked Disks Aren't Working DVD-R fine Today I tried them again on my DVD-R Disks Aren't Working PC DVD-R Disks Aren't Working DVDRW and they didn t show up I cleaned them and they showed up as a mpg that didnt play They should be VOB files Right now I get the error saying quot E is not accessible Incorrect function quot I then put them in my TV-DVD player and I got a message that no disk was found Is there anything I can do to restore these files Not all the disks have this problem It seems to happen with the disks I recorded in the last couple of days I used Nero to record them I flashed my hardware recently to accomodate the newer disks When this started happening I flashed them again downward Still no joy I hear some kind of weird sound coming out of the DVD player when I tried to play them I to sounds like it is trying to grab hold of something but having no luck nbsp

A:DVD-R Disks Aren't Working

I'm using a store brand of DVDRW.Click to expand...

Always buy quality media. Store brands usually aren't. Also, DVDRW media, isn't very reliable. Use DVD-R as you listed in the title of the thread. You can try this, but I don't think it's gonna fix your problem. I think your problem is the media you used.

Go into your Device Manager, and find your drive. Right click on it, and choose "Uninstall". After it uninstalls, reboot, and let Windows detect new hardware, and install new a driver for you.

I have tried to tell people that this is what happens when you use Memorex, Khypermedia, and most store brands of media (mostly any media made in Taiwan. Verbatim is the exception). They record ok, and look ok the first time or two you watch them. But when you go back, to watch them again, they may be unwatchable. When buying blank dvds, look on the package for "Made In Japan". It's usually near the bar code. That's not saying you'll never have problems. But you'll have a lot less problems associated with bad media. Sony, Maxell,and Fuji, are good brands, if you get the ones "Made In Japan" (MIJ). MIJ Fuji discs are getting very hard to find though. Verbatim is the only Taiwan made (MIT) media, you should consider.

If the reinstall of the hardware, through the device manager works, I'd copy your discs over to better media, while you can. If it doesn't, I don't think there's much you can do to save what you've burned. I think most software used to encode and burn dvds, puts the files in a folder, on your hard drive. You may find the files for one burned dvd. If you used the same software to do all the dvds, it uses the same folder and overwrites what's in it, each time you do another dvd. That's why I say you might find files for one dvd you burned.
Good luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-r-disks-arent-working.547886/
Relevancy 53.32%

icons such as internet explorer are now responisve when trying to open,

any ideas......

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/icons-arent-working-325113.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Very often when I click on links my desktop goes absolutely nowhere. The link will change color as if it recognizes the attempt, but nothing happens. The links are valid and working. My laptop has no problem opening these same links. Please help me if you know what is happening. I have searched my settings but I have not found an option to turn the links on or off.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/90677/some-links-arent-working/
Relevancy 53.32%

Ok so here's the deal I have a Powerspec V305,

and its not the greatest computer ever, but it works pretty decently w/o too much error. Three days ago I installed Registry Mechanic and now my USB ports in front don't work, the ones in the rear, do work. but the ones in front where I very often attach my Iphone and camera no longer work at all it seems. I used the restore option on the registry mechanic...no luck...I did a complete system restore no luck. Any ideas?

A:My USB ports aren't working...PLEASE HELP!

Try the device manager. See if any errors are logged against any usb entries. If there are, then try reinstalling the usb drivers, there should be an option with the device propities somewhere.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-usb-ports-arent-working-please-help.795244/
Relevancy 53.32%

OK, so I'll try to keep this as brief as I can,

I have a L4VXA2 motherboard and operate on windows XP SP3. (if that info is needed at all)

Currently, my usb ports have not been recognizing anything I plug into them.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers twice, still nothing works.
When I try and fix it, it keeps telling me the INF is formatted for windows 95 or later (or something like that)

So now, I have downloaded a VIA USB 2.0 Host Controller, extracted the files, everything was going fine, but now the setup wont run! For the first few times I clicked on it, it kept saying "the setup has detected that unInstallShield is in use. Please close uninstall shield and restart setup Error 432". I rebooted the computer and tried again multiple times. Now the error message doesn't even show up.

I have NO idea what to do, please, PLEASE help :'(

A:My USB ports aren't working???

Welcome to TSF....

What is the make and model of computer?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/my-usb-ports-arent-working-298984.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I had this problem since I upgraded to Vista. All softwares I used before in Windows XP worked without any problem, but most of them now support Vista and they are giving me tons of problems everyday.
What is this happening?

A:Why softwares aren't working?

Software makers have got to rewrite their code to make it work with Vista. Keep checking the maker of the software websites for Vista updates.
Raj

http://www.vistax64.com/software/113916-why-softwares-arent-working.html
Relevancy 53.32%

So, my speaker drivers are updated and installed. My speakers are plugged in correctly ( I think). If I put the speaker at full blast I can hear the on, but no music or sound. Help please!! I can be reached on AIM at Illidansowner

Or you can just post here

A:Speakers aren't working :(

Two things to try left click on speaker icon in task bar and see if mute is checked for some reason this happens fairly often if it is uncheck it. Did the speakers ever work? Recheck all connections and try a system restore back to when they worked All this is assuming you're using xp.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/speakers-arent-working.595177/
Relevancy 53.32%

For the past few months I ve had problems with some of my quot security quot shortcuts It started when I tried to open AVG and run a scan When I click on the icon I get a pop up stating the quot program working.... Some shortcuts aren't exe quot associated with the icon has changed or moved and do I want to delete the icon I noticed that I had an AVG update come in prior to this problem so I figured it was an AVG problem and I have been working with their customer support people to try and fix it I ve also noticed that other quot security quot programs have Some shortcuts aren't working.... the same problem When I click on quot malwarebytes quot and quot whatsrunning quot I get the same box I just downloaded superantispyware and tried to run it but had the same problem with the desktop Some shortcuts aren't working.... icon I have Spyware Terminator and its working fine I haven t found any other programs that are having the same issues The tech I ve been working with at AVG has had me run uninstall and other programs trying to find the issue but we ve gotten nowhere I can t open AVG to run a scan I get the error box noted above but when I go to my Security Center it shows that quot AVG reports up to date and active quot I haven t been able to reinstall AVG because of an error with a program in Firefox called Chrome I just need some advice on how to fix the problem with the missing or moved programs so my shortcuts will work I don t believe its a virus I ve used Spy Terminator numerous times and its not finding any problems

A:Some shortcuts aren't working....

"Chrome" is a Google browserhttp://www.google.com/chrome/index.html?hl...p;utm_medium=ha

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/215310/some-shortcuts-arent-working/
Relevancy 53.32%

A couple days ago my ports started acting odd getting weird disconnectinos here and there and now nothing will connect at all All the ports give me an error of quot USB Device Not Recognized quot I'm not using any new devices and these devices have been in use for about a year now They do not work in Safe Mode either Things I've tried - Uninstall Reinstall all the drivers for the USB Hubs and the drivers for the external USB devices - Reformat - Cleaning out all the ports with compressed air Working Aren't USB Ports Other information about my computer HP Pavillion dv z Entertainment Notebook Windows Vista Home Premium GB RAM Ghz AMD Turion x Nvidia GeForce Go MB Devices Used Western Digital GB Essential Edition External Hard Drive Logitech Wireless Keyboard Mouse Reciever Logitech Dual Action Joypad If anyone has any kind of help it'd be appreciated I'm just hoping this isn't a hardware issue even though it's becoming apparent that it very well might be

A:USB Ports Aren't Working

There can be many explanations for this, probably most commonly a virus of some sort. Or, there might be a problem within your computer, depending on how everything is connected. If it becomes necessary, you may need to bring it into a repair shop.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/usb-ports-arent-working-221349.html
Relevancy 53.32%

The stereo-boxes of my computer are not working This could be just a hardware problem but I just doubt it Could aren't My working stereoboxes anyone just look at My stereoboxes aren't working my log even if it's just to humor me Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINNT System smss exeC WINNT system winlogon exeC WINNT system services exeC WINNT system lsass exeC WINNT system svchost exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exeC WINNT system spoolsv exeC WINNT System svchost exeC WINNT system hidserv exeC Program Files Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exeC WINNT system regsvc exeC Program Files Norton AntiVirus SAVScan exeC WINNT system MSTask exeC WINNT system stisvc exeC WINNT System WBEM WinMgmt exeC WINNT Explorer EXEC WINNT System MsPMSPSv exeC WINNT system svchost exeC Program Files Ahead InCD InCD exeC Program Files Logitech iTouch iTouch exeC WINNT AGRSMMSG exeC Program Files Logitech MouseWare system em exec exeC Program Files ScanSoft OmniPageSE opware exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exeC Program Files QuickTime qttask exeC Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exeC Program Files FinePixViewer QuickDCF exeC WINNT system wuauclt exeC unzipped hijackthis HijackThis exeO - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper ocxO - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dllO - Toolbar msdxmLC dll - amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINNT System msdxm ocxO - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dllO - HKLM Run Synchronization Manager mobsync exe logonO - HKLM Run NeroCheck C WINNT System NeroCheck exeO - HKLM Run InCD C Program Files Ahead InCD InCD exeO - HKLM Run c pd C WINNT SYSTEM cmlink exe RunServices Device cpipe- c pdO - HKLM Run zBrowser Launcher C Program Files Logitech iTouch iTouch exeO - HKLM Run Logitech Utility Logi MwX ExeO - HKLM Run AGRSMMSG AGRSMMSG exeO - HKLM Run REGSHAVE C Program Files REGSHAVE REGSHAVE EXE AUTORUNO - HKLM Run Omnipage C Program Files ScanSoft OmniPageSE opware exeO - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKLM Run Symantec NetDriver Monitor C PROGRA SYMNET SNDMon exe ConsumerO - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottimeO - HKLM Run SSC UserPrompt C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared Security Center UsrPrmpt exeO - HKCU Run LDM C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exeO - Global Startup Exif Launcher lnk C Program Files FinePixViewer QuickDCF exeO - Global Startup Logitech Desktop Messenger lnk C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LDMConf exeO - Global Startup Microsoft Office lnk C Program Files Microsoft Office Office OSA EXEO - Plugin for pdf C Program Files Internet Explorer PLUGINS nppdf dllO - Plugin for spop C Program Files Internet Explorer Plugins NPDocBox dllO - Trusted Zone http www hotmail comO - Trusted Zone http www hotmail com O - Trusted Zone http windowsupdate microsoft com O - DPF E E - AF- - C -A ADCBF BD HouseCall Control - http housecall trendmicro com housecall xscan cabO - DPF B-B - D-A D -FCFDF E C WUWebControl Class - http update microsoft com windowsupdate b O - DPF DD -B E - C -B F-F D EA AvxScanOnline Control - http www bitdefender com scan Msie bitdefender cabO - DPF A A - DA - DAF-B - F E E ActiveScan Installer Class - http www pandasoftware com activescan as asinst cabO - Protocol bw - - FEA- -AD - A F - C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program BWPlugProtocol- dllO - Protocol bw s - - FEA- -AD - A F - C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program BWPlugProtocol- dllO - Protocol bw- - - FEA- -AD - A F - C Program Files L... Read more

A:My stereoboxes aren't working

My boxes are working again
I just turned on my computer and they were functioning!
Sorry for being paranoid

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/29883/my-stereoboxes-arent-working/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi, this is my first post and im not sure if this is the right forum for my problem.
So I have this 6 year old laptop, I recently did a clean windows XP reinstall for it. After installing Internet, Graphics and Audio drivers, some programs still don't work. They either have graphics problems or they crash at start. Some don't even start up, although they are in the processes list in task manager
They work perfectly in my other computer also running XP.

Why don't they work with this one?

If you need any additional details then just ask, but also tell me how to find them.

Relevancy 53.32%

I recently got given a Microsoft Wireless MultiMedia Keyboard 1.1 Model: 1014

I plugged it in and went to windows update, it installed the keyboard and all working.

Now i have a program that i want to configure the F1 keys to make them do something in the program, I've done this before on my old keyboard but this time it isn't recognising.... F2 key is recognised as CTRL+Z

I've downloaded the latest 64 bit driver from MS website and its not helped.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Dan

A:F2 F3 F4..... Keys aren't working

Hello,

Do I understand correctly that those keys are not detected correctly at all?

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/57667-f2-f3-f4-keys-arent-working.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hey, so somehow I got websave on my computer, and it was really annoying so I downloaded adwcleaner to fix it, then I ran the software then restarted my computer. When I restarted, I couldn't open mozilla, so I deleted it then used internet explorer (which works fine) to redownload it. That didn't work so I tried google chrome. That didn't work either. In both cases when I tried opening the browser I opened windows task manager to see what was going on. Both times the browser would load up to about 2000 K then stop, at the same time it was loading, windows problem reporting would load to about the same memory the stop suddenly as well. I don't know what the problem is... Please help me. Thank you

A:Browsers aren't working

Try starting Firefox in Safe Mode. Hold down the Shift Key while starting Firefox. You may have a add-on that is keeping Firefox from starting.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f131/browsers-arent-working-802410.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello

My Home page works, but when I tab to another page it will not connect at all

but firefox works when I tab a page

IE 7 worked Saturday night and then Sunday morning , only page working was home page
thanks

A:Tab Pages aren't working

Hi and welcome to TSF try resetting IE How to reset Internet Explorer settings

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/tab-pages-arent-working-664988.html