Windows Support Forum

The comparison of hard-state-drive, Samsung VS Micron

Q: The comparison of hard-state-drive, Samsung VS Micron

I am a beginner of hardware. I find two series of SSD to compare, 840 EVO and M500, because the specifications and the prices of them are approximate.

Both of them use SATA 3, so you need to compare with the read speed and the write speed, if you prefer faster one. The sequential read speed of 840 is 540MB/s, and the sequential write speed is 410MB/s. M500 is slower, but the performance of M500 is great as well, its Shock-resistant design makes it more durable than 840. The most important thing of SSD is the controller, 840 uses 3-core Samsung MDX controller, M500 uses Marvell?s latest controller, maybe the second one is better.

This is my poor review, how to compare them with more details, give me your advice.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: The comparison of hard-state-drive, Samsung VS Micron

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 82.13%

Quote:
As a follow-up to our previous SSD coverage, today we will be looking at four popular mainstream SSD offerings which include the A-Data S592 128GB, Corsair P Series 128GB, OCZ Agility 120GB and the OCZ Vertex Turbo 120GB. Although all these products are MLC flash-based and target the consumer enthusiast market, they do vary in price, on-board controllers, memory chips, and cache sizes, which should make for some very interesting results.
With dozens of manufacturers now offering some kind of solid state drive, you should know there are only a handful of them you should concern yourself with. MLC drives based on either the Samsung S3C29RBB01-YK40, Indilinx Barefoot or Intel's own controller are all you should be looking at today. While the Intel controller remains the superior performer when it comes to small data writes, the Samsung and Indilinx controllers are worthy alternatives.

more..

A:Solid State Drive Comparison - Round 2

Thanks for the link Airbot. I had not seen this one. Glad I have a barefoot. It's still working very nicely after about 3 months.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/21809-solid-state-drive-comparison-round-2-a.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Im deciding whether to upgrade from 2x512 Generic Samsung RAM to 2x512 OC'ing Crucial Ballistix or 2x1GB Generic Samsung (or Micron or Infineon, whichever is best)

I tend to play the new games that eat up ram and sell them afterwards but the only game i really constantly play is CS:Source, which we all kno needs no more than 1GB of ram..

I have my CPU OC'ed to 2.2ghz and my current ram is on running on a divider. i read on on AT.com that the cost to get quality OC'ing ram is not worth the 5-10% overall performance increase over non OCing ram (of the same size)

my question is, should i go ahead n spend $190 on 2GB of ram or $150 on 1GB of OC'ing ram.. ?

A:2x512 OC'ing Ballistix or 2x1GB generic samsung/micron/infineon?

Is this for an Intel CPU or AMD?

2GB of value ram would probably make more sense than 1GB of high performance ram with an AMD CPU. Intel CPUs will benefit more from additional memory bandwidth.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2x512-ocing-ballistix-or-2x1gb-generic-samsung-micron-infineon.49787/
Relevancy 71.81%

Have a W540 with the Samsung MZ7TE512HMHP-0001L SATA Solid State drive.  Noticed after one of the updates from either MS or Lenovo, the driver changed to a SCSI driver, and the performance has slowed.  It now shows a 6.3 on the windows experience, vs the 7.6 it did before.  I haven't seen a SCSI drive in years and doubt that is what is rockin in this workstation. Things I have tried:1. Update driver (says I have the correct driver)2. Run Lenovo Support utilites Suggestions welcome

Samsung SCSI.jpg ?118 KB

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Samsung-Solid-State-SATA-drive-shows-as-SCSI/td-p/3446001
Relevancy 65.36%

I'll be getting a new laptop soon and I'm wondering what the differences are between these two SSDs. I'll probably be putting them in a Sager NP9377 from xoticpc.com. Both SSDs cost the same price but the Samsung 850 EVO has 120 GB vs Micron M600's 128 GB (both for $100) or Samsung 850 EVO with 250 GB vs Micron M600 with 256 GB (both for $160). I know it's a small difference but this is my first experience with an SSD so I just want to make sure I make the right decision. I'll be putting the OS on the SSD so what capacity do you recommend? Thank you.

A:Micron M600 mSATA SSD vs Samsung 850 EVO Series mSATA SSD

The only difference is form factor and speed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/micron-m600-msata-ssd-vs-samsung-850-evo-series-msata-ssd.1148644/
Relevancy 64.5%

Any idea why my SSD is listed as a 'Hard disk drive' instead of 'Solid state drive' as in your screenshots above? I am running W8 Pro x64 RTM from Technet. In Device Manager my SSD shows as a 'Samsung SSD 830 Series SCSI Disk Device'. I wonder if it's being on a Marvell controller might be the reason. My mobo has both Marvell and Intel disk controllers.

A:SSD listed as 'Hard disk drive' instead of 'Solid state drive'??

The ssd should always be used in an Intel port imho bud. The driver you are using is making it appear to be a scsi device.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/8730-ssd-listed-hard-disk-drive-instead-solid-state-drive.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Is it possible and feasible to change the hard drive to a solid state drive on a Toshiba Satellite Pro L300-1FK laptop.If the answer is affirmative then would appreciate as much information and guidance there is available.

A:Changing hard drive to solid state drive

I took a quick look at the specs and don't see why you couldn't. That laptop is maybe 3 or 4 years old?

What you would have to decide is if you want to attempt to transfer Windows from the current hard drive to the SSD or instead do a clean install on the SSD. Cloning/imaging can work and save time, but many would tell you to just do a clean install instead.

Good SSD brands: Intel, Crucial M4 series, Samsung 830 series.

I assume this Toshiba has only a single drive bay?

Do you have an external hard drive?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/234578-changing-hard-drive-solid-state-drive.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I have a Samsung s2 1tb external hard drive.

Today when I hooked it up to my laptop it would not load. It will shows local F drive when it usually will say samsung Drive.

A pop up box will then appear stating "you need to format drive"

I know if I reformat it I will lose all my data which I will not do.

When I look in device manager it states that the external hard drive is installed.

I attempted to go through start menu and type cmd then F: and it states "The volume does not recognize this system file. Please make sure all required system drivers are loaded and the volume is not corrupted."

PLEASE HELP I DONT WANT TO LOSE ALL MY FILES

A:Samsung s2 external hard drive not loading showing local disk F drive

With the external drive connected, Go to Disk Management (Start > type: "computer" > click on Computer Management > click on Disk Management)

Determine which disk is the external drive.
If the external drive shows here as a healthy volume, Right click on the large box to the right of the "Disk 1" / "Disk 2" lable and choose: Change Drive Letter and Path.

If there is nothing but a grey box or "Unallocated Space" next to the disk number then Right click on the disk number (the box) and choose: Change Drive Letter and Path.

Change the drive letter to anything else > OK.

If you can't do any of the above post back. If you can post a screen shot of the Disk Management window that can help.
Do not initialize the disk or format it or you will lose your data.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/209492-samsung-s2-external-hard-drive-not-loading-showing-local-disk-f-drive.html
Relevancy 63.21%

My solid state hard drive (Samsung mmcre64g5mxp) is full. It only has 2 gb space left and I suspect it is slowing down my PC. I try to keep it excusively for Win 7 (x86) and updates files and clean the drive regulary. I have also compressed it to make more room.

Is there anything I can do to make more room? Can I remove the Win 7 update files or will I have to buy a new drive?

Bobiewaller

A:Solid State Hard Drive

Laptop?

Desktop?

Make and model of computer?

Size of SSD?

More than one drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solid-state-hard-drive.1003605/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi guys,
I just bought a Samsung chronos 700 series. It has a 8GB solid state hard drive but I can't see it in My Computer.
Device manager says it is there and working properly. I went into disk management I can see the solid state hard drive but it doesn't have a letter assigned to it. When I right click on it all the options are greyed out - it just won't allow me to assign a letter or to activate the drive. Below it says Healthy (Primary Partition) but I cannot access it and it doesn't have a drive letter. Does anyone know what I'm missing?

Relevancy 62.35%

Hello again I currently run four 250 GB drives in a raid 10 for windows 7 ultimate, doing a complete upgrade MB, Memory, processor etc. but Sata ports on new MB's are always few .... typically 6

been looking at Asus Maximus VI Formula which has ten Sata ports ..... but just found out only six are on the main board not sure yet what u could with other four ?

so I'm now thinking is it better to have 4 hard drives on raid ten, or one solid state drive which would mean I don't need as many Sata ports and look for better board for my needs

A:traditional hard drive vs solid state

Why do you mix raid 0 (striping) and raid 1 (mirroring)?
Striping is for speed. Mirroring is for faster "read speed" and higher availability.
If 1 disk fails.... no problem. You have only 50% of diskspace... because of mirroring. You're talking about RAID1+0 so not about RAID ten.

With 1 SSD you have 100% disk space.... but if it fails you're having problems.

SSD's are very very fast. But also very expensive

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/330063-traditional-hard-drive-vs-solid-state.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I am fixing to invest in a solid state hard drive, so a couple questions have been raised. First being how can I move just my OS and not my applications? Or do I have to just start all over again? Second I am looking to get this hard drive but http://goo.gl/ZqIxr but it says it is for Non-PC applications. If I was just planning to put the OS on it would that still be okay?

Relevancy 61.92%

Sorry people, its me again. I have another problem, i had bought a Samsung 160gb 2 Mache Hard drive. I have installed my windows upon it, but my computer has only read 130 gb, is there a way to re-treve the other 30gb back or has it gone.

If anybody has any ideas, i will be happy to hear them,

thanks guys,

A:Help, Samsung Hard Drive

How is it formatted FAT32 or NTFS? This could make a difference to the amount of space available.

Additionally the 160Gb is likely to have been reported using a base of 1000. e.g. 1000 bytes to a kilobyte, 1000 kilobytes to a megabyte etc. rather than the computing form of 1024

Therefore 130Gb useable could be quite accurate

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-samsung-hard-drive.12809/
Relevancy 61.92%

dear all,

i m hving a prblm with my Samsung 80 Gb hard drive. when i start my pc it gives a disc failure and says to check for boot failure.and the PC is not able to start.

when i connect it to another pc , it is shown in BIOS but in device manager its not showing anything.

when i tried to reinstall WinXP on my PC it gives a technical error in the form below:
STOP: 0X0000008E(oXC0000005), 0XF9257E4B, oX8E297E4, OX00000000)
setupdd.sys- Address F9257E4B base at F922B000, datestamp 40517A39

It also says that - setup cannot access this disk.

plz help, wht to do?

yatin

A:Hard drive Samsung (80 GB)

Is it an old disk? Sounds like it's dead to me.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-samsung-80-gb.89184/
Relevancy 61.49%

Maybe this is a really stupid question, but here goes.

I have three hard drives, and one is dedicated to my operating system. I would to copy that entire hard drive onto a new solid state drive to make it run faster.

Because I have so many programs and settings all figured out, I'd love to just basically copy the whole drive over, exactly how it is now. As I understand, I need to create a disc image in order to do this.

Is this possible? Am I able to basically swap the hard drives, and use a disc image to basically make the computer think it's the exact same hard drive? Can something like this be done?

Apologise for my ignorance, I'm not up to speed with disc images and I'm not sure how they work.

Thanks for your time!

A:Copy hard drive image to new solid state

acronis disk manager suite, can do this.
You may have issues with the bootmgr afterwards, but it'll do a bit by bit duplication of any partition onto another. ....it's a slow process but it's worked for me several times in the past.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/140864-copy-hard-drive-image-new-solid-state.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi guys.

hope you can help at a loose end.

my laptop's motherboard packed in around month ago, was just cheap so not worth replacing, my mum had an old pc kicking about so have hooked that up to a monitor.

now its not been used since 2006 and its full of crap, so i thought maybe best to either re-install windows or flash the hard drive.

problem is im trying to go into to advanced boot at start up,but when i do my monitor isnt picking up any kind of signal to the point where after a few minutes it just starts windows anyway.

basically ive never done this before and need to know the best way around this problem or is there another way that i have missed?

thanks in advnace.

A:Problems restoring hard drive to original state.

The "advanced startup menu" is usually accessed by tapping F8 at boot time, but on some computer's F8 does nothing.
Instead, at the manufacturer's splash-screen, you need to trigger the "Switch Screen" option by pressing the Esc key, or whatever key it says to press for "Switch Screen" when the splash-screen appears.

The screen should then switch to the Windows Advanced Startup Options.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-restoring-hard-drive-to-original-state.1043202/
Relevancy 61.49%

OK I'm over my head here any help Have an entertainment computer with W- Ultimate x that was working like a champ prior to the introduction of a Samsung GB Solid State Drive Before the switch over It has had a T HD now with conflict drives? on W-7 Solid Drive in State hard with the system on it NTFS and a T HD GPT- to get the full T Samsung included a quot Magic quot program that says 'Samsung's new Smart Data Migration software takes the guesswork and headache out of moving your operating system to your new SSD quot It was not the easy job I anticipated and I wound up resetting my W-7 on Solid State Drive now in conflict with hard drives? bios to ON-CHIP SATA TYPE- AHCI for it to be able to recognize the new SDD Wound up reinstalling W- x and now the computer will not recognize either the NTFS drive or the GPT drive loaded with data as a matter of fact the W- program will W-7 on Solid State Drive now in conflict with hard drives? not load now with the W-7 on Solid State Drive now in conflict with hard drives? GPT HD hooked up Disconnect it and it starts fine The NTFS HD had an Acronis safe-zone on it and with just it hooked up the system would not load and an Acronis warning was stopping it I had previously removed the partitions and reformatted the drive NTFS thinking that I had cleaned it but apparently the safe-zone remained I am now in the process of wiping the disk and presenting it as 'unallocated space' to see if the SSD System will recognize it I have a hunch the solution is not that complicated it's just waaaay over my pay grade Any help please

A:W-7 on Solid State Drive now in conflict with hard drives?

Please post back a screenshot of Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image
with all drives connected.

Did you reinstall Win7 to the SSD with the HD's disconnected?

Wipe the drive you say you're cleaning with Diskpart Clean Command,
if necessary from the booted installer's Command Line accessing DISKPART At PC Startup

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/298454-w-7-solid-state-drive-now-conflict-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I just came across this device today:

http://www.lexar.com/ssd/expresscard.html

How does is compare to an average laptop hardrive in terms of performance and reliability? I was thinking about using it to run a couple virtual machines on my laptop and take some of the stress off of the hard drive.

Can you think of any advantages or disadvantages to this device when compared to a hard drive?

Thanks,
Jerry

Relevancy 61.49%

Due to the hard drive failing, I purchased a solid state hard drive.
I tried creating recovery media on the computer but it wasn't working. I purchased the Dell OS Recovery and Restore USB key - part # OKFWKP-74287-56E-0048-A00 which was Windows 8 Professional. 
Dell Inspiron 660S. I noticed that the original operating system was Windows 8 Home though not Professional.
Installed Windows 8 via the Dell OS Recovery and Restore USB key ok. Only problem is it won't activate. I'm guessing it's because the computer came with Windows 8 OEM (Home). I don't see the purpose in purchasing the Dell usb key then. 
I'm guessing I'll have to follow the directions at this link to be able to activate if I want to go to Windows 10 for example.
dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-8-1-retail-and-oem-iso
Service Tag Removed Per Privacy Policy.

A:Solid State hard drive replacement - activation

It seems Dell just sent you out the wrong Edition of Recovery USB.
Follow my guide (the one you linked to) and it should activate correctly.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19652251
Relevancy 61.49%

hi

1) I recently bought a samsung external hard (1500GB). The problem with it was that i couldn't use it on my playstation 3. i was told to format it to Fat32 (something like that), to which i used someone's link which was provided to me. After formatting it, it was still not working on my PS and to make things worse, it was now not detecting on my PC. I use Windows 7. Can someone please help with both aspects of the problem.

thank you

A:Samsung External hard drive

Install free Partition Wizard which will often detect a drive when Windows won't. If so make sure it has a letter, or else rightclick to Add Letter.

If it still doesn't show up in Windows or PS, delete the partition and create a new Primary one in the native (NTFS?) format of the external HD. Assign a letter. Do not mark Active.

If problems persist, rightclick the drive to Check File System and if necessary run Surface Scan.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/206129-samsung-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Does anybody know the parameters for a rpm GB Samsung HDD My bios is set up to auto detect a new hard drive but it sort of [SOLVED] hard drive Samsung freezes and won t do anything including let me out of the bios When the computer first starts to boot it lists the new [SOLVED] Samsung hard drive hard drive If I let the computer continue to [SOLVED] Samsung hard drive boot the next page has the configuration and instead of having the primary master primary slave secondary master etc listed it stops at the primary master and has no info about it I had hoped that just in case the bios wouldn t recognize the whole gigs I would download a drive overlay from samsung unfortunately they have an endless loop asking me to register Please register before downloading I register try to download and it sends me to the register page again If someone could please help me get my new master hard drive installed - I would be forever grateful nbsp

Relevancy 61.49%

How do I go about upgrading my hard drive on a Samsung laptop type NP355V5C A-06UK. I have an old 'ish SSD I want to use. This laptop uses UEFI. How can I get to transfer my info on my HDD 750GB to my SSD 120GB it needs to be compressed a little bit...
Hi guys and gals any Ideas?

A:How do I go about upgrading my hard drive on a Samsung lap

If your data on your hdd is more than 120 gb you will not be able to do it. If your data is less than 120 gb you have a chance and hope you have no data past 120 gb on the hdd. you will have to shrink the main partition so it will fit on the ssd.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/21755-how-do-i-go-about-upgrading-my-hard-drive-samsung-lap.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi Mates!

I'm trying to change the name of my External Hard Drive as it appears as Local Disk G on my laptop. However, upon trying multiple times it keeps on coming back as Local Disk G. Please help.
Thanks and have a nice day!!!

A:Samsung External Hard Drive

Hi looking at your picture you cant rename it as C, D, E, F are already connected and in use
I have an external drive I sometimes connect and use and when I do it comes up as E, or F depending what I have connected at the time.
If you wanted to give it a higher letter you would have to disconnect one of the other drives put that one in then reconnect and see if that works

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/39995-samsung-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi,

I hope someone can help me?

I live in the UK

I brought a new sata 500 GB hard drive a while ago but after about 6 months it died...

i rang samsung and they sent me a new one under warrenty...

the new one broke a month later!

but now when i tried to RMA it through their website it says they cannot replace it because it was sent from the USA - i emailed them and they said the same thing in their email.

So now i cant replace the drive because they sent it from another country?

is there anything i can do?

surly thats not right - was a new drive and they chose to send it from the USA not me.

Thank you

Timez

A:Samsung sent me a new sata hard drive...

You should CALL the company and speak with a live person or two or three to get it resolved.

Have you had your computer physically checked for problems that could be causing the hard drives to fail? If there is no fault in the hardware (or user error)...the drives could have both been from a "faulty batch of hard drives."

Does Samsung have a policy regarding how many drives can be returned in a certain time period?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/samsung-sent-me-a-new-sata-hard-drive.986831/
Relevancy 61.49%

I have a Samsung SV0322A hard drive which is 3.2 gig. I read in the drives manual (on the samsung website) that the drives maximum capacity is 6.4Gig... I don't get it.
I have Windows XP installed on the drive, and therefore I don't have very much room left on the drive after I have installed the software that I need.
Can anyone tell me a way that I can compress the hard drive, but without slowing the system down too much?

A:Samsung SV0322a Hard drive

Samsung SV0322A is only a 3.2 gig drive. the 32 in the serial number indicate that, if it where sv0642a then it would be a 6.4 gig.

Compression is really a good thing to stay away from.
In my opinion I would get a larger hard drive and clone the existing to it

I don't beleive xp will work with a compressed drive anyway

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/samsung-sv0322a-hard-drive.89150/
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi,

I am travelling at the moment and saved my holiday pics on the 1TB Samsung 3.5inch portable hard drive. Since last night I can't view the files I saved. It's like I never saved them. It had 500gb free and now it has 900gb so lot of my data is missing?

I unchecked hidden files and system hidden files. I have tried on other windows machines. Also ran recuva software. I am at a loss. I am going to try run it on a mac when I get the chance and run a virus scan when I get back home.

The drive runs fine, ie no noise etc. I always try to remove it safely. Also I accessed the saved files 2 days ago!

pls help

A:samsung portable hard drive

see if this program finds them

http://www.undeleteunerase.com/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/samsung-portable-hard-drive.1081000/
Relevancy 61.49%

I have been running my new build for around a month now and had no problems whatsoever with Vista 64.
Have tweaked the graphics card with an Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme 8800 and drastically brought the temperature down.
I have just taken receipt of a 1 Tb hard drive and wondered whats the best way forward.
Do I try to copy everything including the OEM version of Vista to the new hard drive or do I just transfer my files and keep the existing 320gb hard drive as the OS boot drive?

Whats everyones experiences about adding a hard drive?

A:Adding a 1Tb Samsung Hard Drive

Keep the OS on the 320gb drive and use the 1T drive for programs and data. If your OS fails and you need to reinstall at least your data will be safe. You may need to reinstall some files though as programs do link in to the registry. Another way of doing it is to use the 1T drive just for data. Pictures and music ect. This way it will be easy to back up when you want.
It also depends on the speed of the drive, if your new drive is alot faster than the old it would make sense to transfere everything to the new drive and sack the old drive or sell it on ebay.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/153363-adding-1tb-samsung-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi I have a Samsung V25 P4 2.4Ghz with a 30Gb Toshiba Hard drive that is not being recognised anymore when i try to boot up the hard drive light stays on and then I get the message "Operating System not found" . So far I have looked in the BIOS to make sure everything is as it should be (primary master to auto?) but it says in the BIOS nothing is detected. Ive also tried a couple of HD diagnostic tools but they also say no IDE device detected so no go there, then I tried removing the hard drive and reseating it but this had no effect, is my hard drive fried or is there anything else I can try?

TIA

Relevancy 61.06%

I have an A PTSE A- and am attempting to install a Kingston GB SSHD When I boot it is displayed in the POST and also in BIOS When in the Windows pre installation environment the drive is displayed in quot Where do you want to install windows quot I can see the drive and the partition delete and create a new partiton Message quot Windows cannot be installed to disk partiton show details Details gt Windows cannot be installed to this disk The computers hardware may not support booting to this disk Ensure that drive state hard Tecra Solid issue boot - A11 the disk's controller is enabled in the computers BIOS menu I have checked drive in BIOS and seems to be in order Are there controller drivers required for this drive Toshiba hardware or Kingston Does anyone know of a controller driver needed as I have searched the web and cannot find controller driver for this drive I didn't think there should be any drivers required to install windows to Tecra A11 - Solid state hard drive boot issue a solid state drive but there must be something out there Assistance appreciated

A:Tecra A11 - Solid state hard drive boot issue

Hi

Trying to install Windows 7 no special controller drivers are required because Windows 7 already contains the common Microsoft controller driver.

Just one question: was the SSD drive formatted and new partition created before trying to install Win 7?
Should be done?

Are you using the Toshiba Recovery disk in order to install the system on this SSD drive?
Should use such disk? the recovery disk could be created using the preinstalled Toshiba Recovery disk Creator which was part of the running system preinstalled and configured by Toshiba

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?67599-Tecra-A11-Solid-state-hard-drive-boot-issue
Relevancy 60.63%

i have problems with sp2504c samsung hard drive just bought a samsung sp c gb hard drive ihad a westerndigital wd aa gb hard drive in it but it was faulty so i binned it put windows xp home edition on it the problem is when i go to my computer look under devices with removable storage problems with samsung sp2504c hard drive it has an icon of a box with a cd says vrmhoem problems with samsung sp2504c hard drive en d when i double click it it gives me some option of which is to install windows can anyone tell me what this is whether i need it or not another problem i have is when i go to my computer look under hard drives it says local disk c when i hover over it it says total space gb free space why does it say this as i havent installed or downloaded anything ive only put windows on it i havent even installed the drivers from my motherboard cd my specs are amd athlon cpu asrock k upgrade vm mobo mb elixir ddr pc pin ram gb samsung sp c hdd x cd dvd rewriters x dual layer any help is always appreciated thanks nbsp

A:problems with samsung sp2504c hard drive

That is because the removable storage device that you double clicked on is your cd/dvd drive with removable storage disc (your win xp home cd) in so you should not re install it unless you really need to .

so remove it from your drive because it will also slow your startup or your system might even boot straight from your win xp home cd and start setup again.

The drive in my computer says Local disk because it on your computer (local) but if it were some disk on a computer that you accessed via a network it would say Remote disk or remote storage device.

so if you want to change the label on that drive just click on it once to highlight it then click on it again, then just type another name like "Storage, Backup, System" but you cant have a name with more than 16 characters i think.

Your free space is only that much because you have windows installed on it and it is the File system, formatting and partition tables etc..that uses up the rest of the space so that is why your 250gb looks as if you have lost 18gb.

hope that explains everything?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problems-with-samsung-sp2504c-hard-drive.54091/
Relevancy 60.63%

I brought a Samsung 1.5tb drive http://www.ebuyer.com/product/166989which i plugged in through usb to my computer and it showed the correct amount.

I restarted the pc, and then it bugged up showing as an unformatted drive.

I went to format it, and it said it couldn't, so went into admin tools disk management, and it showed as 465GB, and has since. I tried formatting and deleting the partition, but it still shows as 465GB. Rather frustrating!

I tried running HDD Capacity Restore like I had to on my previous Samsung 1TB drive (which worked), but it didn't on this new 1.5tb.
Could it be that my motherboard (gigabyte ds3r) corrupted the firmware, or is a defective drive? I've tried running EStool, but it did nothing...

Cheers

A:Samsung 1.5TB hard drive showing as 465GB

I would more lean towards a bad drive than the motherboard causing a problem. How have you connected this drive via USB? Did you also buy a USB Connected enclosure, or and adapter of some sort?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/samsung-1-5tb-hard-drive-showing-as-465gb.897600/
Relevancy 60.63%

Hey guys So I have a samsung TB External Hard Drive that all of a sudden tells me it needs to be formatted All I did prior to this happening was restart my to drive asking Samsung external format hard PC the same way I do every day I have TB of files pictures videos and more on that drive with no backups of it anywhere and I really need everything back I have read many threads similar to this one but others don't seem to have exactly the same problem that I do in that when connected my EHD constantly appears and then disappears in My Computer with a pop-up message This means that no matter which data partition HD recovery software I use it doesn't Samsung external hard drive asking to format allow me to select the EHD as it keeps Samsung external hard drive asking to format disappearing from the list So basically when it is plugged in every seconds or so it disappears and then reappears with this pop-up message quot You need to format the disk in drive G before you can use it Do you want to format it quot Obviously I don't want to Samsung external hard drive asking to format format it as that means I lose all my data Also it uses USB and is connected with a USB cable into a USB port I have tried - Changing the letter of the drive In terms of recovery software I have tried a few and another thing that makes it difficult for me to use besides my EHD disappearing all the tim is that I don't really know which options to choose For example iCare Data Recovery has sub-menus Lost Partition Recovery Advanced file recovery Deep Scan Recovery Format Recovery To me it would be between and but I don't really know In the help PDF it showed this - Screenshot by Lightshot These are the ones that seem like they are appropriate - Screenshot by Lightshot - I tried G f r G is my hard drive letter -I changed cable also All failed Any help will be greatly appreciated I have so many important photos and files please help me Thanks in advance - Hezron

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/402478-samsung-external-hard-drive-asking-format.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I bought a wiped hard drive for my Samsung With windows 7.where is the best place to get a operating system disk .also can I change it to windows 8.

A:I bought a wiped hard drive for my Samsung.

IMO skip 8 and go to 10 or stay with 7, you will be better off in the long run.  Wasting $ on 8 does not make sense when you can redo you 7 free as long as you have a valid COA sticker or jump to 10 and use the $ a little more wisely.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/564313/i-bought-a-wiped-hard-drive-for-my-samsung/
Relevancy 60.63%

hi all !

i have a laptop samsung q430 ... when i use laptop after some times it gives me a message that c: & d: need backup or restore the data or you will loose it..

i turned that message by clicking not to show? what should i do ? should i remake hard drive partitions again ? i restored the system to the earliest point of use. i got a windows 7 home premium cd as well .. i can install and make partitions from start.

thanks for your help !

A:samsung q430 hard drive error

Make sure you have enough free space in each partitation ..... download Crystal Disk info and check the HD ... http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

If it find error you better back up your important stuff and repalce the HD

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/samsung-q430-hard-drive-error.1033373/
Relevancy 60.63%

I can't find one on the Samsung site. If you know where I can get one, I'd appreciate the info.

A:I need a driver for a Samsung 1203N hard drive

HardDrives and CD Drives and many others standard drives and things like Mouse and Keyboard etc don't have 3rd party drivers - Ever (except some have little programs and possibly an Inf file to name it in Device Manager)
Oh, obviously many USB flash drives come with drivers (for win98 and around that area )

Are you talking about the HardDrive Controller that's on your Motherboard?
And is found at your Computer manufacturer or Motherboard support site

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-need-a-driver-for-a-samsung-1203n-hard-drive.137867/
Relevancy 60.63%

Hello I recently bought a samsung portable hard drive from the M series with a TB storage capacity My computer currently runs on Windows x GB RAM and a Ghz processor When trying to install quot Samsung drive manager quot or any of the other software that came with 8.1 windows drive not Hard compatible M3 Samsung 1TB with the hard drive - I receive the following error message quot This runs on Windows XP Vista Windows please check your Samsung M3 1TB Hard drive not compatible with windows 8.1 OS quot I have tried to install the quot Samsung drive manager quot from the Seagate website thinking that it might be compatible but I receive the same error message According to the Windows compatibility website and Samsung Seagate the M hard drive is compatible with Windows Note I have Win but is there really that much of a difference I ran the software bundle on my old laptop Windows and it worked fine so that excludes any issues with the actual hardware Anyone with a similar problem or solution nbsp

Relevancy 60.63%

Hi, everyone.
I have a 320gb samsung s2 external hard drive. I have this for only a few months.
All the time, it is working the it should be, but today, I can't seem to access this.
Here's the problem. When I plug it in, it doesn't show the SAMSUNG(P but only "local disk(P". It shows that I should format it.
Also, every time I try to right-click the local disk(P, it only ends up to not responding.

I tried changing renaming it, but still nothing. I checked if it is installed properly, and it does.
There is also no ticking sound in the disk inside, and the light is also lit up.
Please help me, there are so many important files inside and I hope it will not end up being formatted.

A:I can't access my samsung external hard drive. please please help

Hi,

Can you please post a picture/image of your Disk Management?

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/150130-i-cant-access-my-samsung-external-hard-drive-please-please-help.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Here is my story to the point. I have a Samsung SP1604n Hard Drive. Windows xp and/or linux will not load up on this hard drive. Keeps coming up "Error Loading Operating System". Hard Drive had no errors to it when it was scanned. I reset the MBR, did a level 3 format, changed out cables and settings, still nothing. Tried a fixmbr from xp recovery, which it said was a success but did not work. I did an fdisk /mbr and still nothing. I bought a new hard drive and bam everything loading up fine. What did I miss on this hard drive. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

A:Hard Drive Problem Samsung sp1604n

bump for any info

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-problem-samsung-sp1604n.639259/
Relevancy 60.63%

In february I got this hard drive: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Station-Desktop-External-HXDU010EB/dp/B002C46042 (Samsung Story 1TB)

I plugged it into my Mac, made it OS X Extended, and it worked great. It has 500GB on it. All of a sudden it became Read Only, which prevents Time Machine to perform any back-ups. The Mac forum suggested I format it, but that's only for NEW drives first connecting. I've had this for almost a year working fine.

It's no longer showing up as an icon on my desktop or in Finder. Disk Utility shows it, but all the options to repair disk are greyed out.

Please help!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/samsung-hard-drive-acting-funny.966161/
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi

I have downloaded Hard Disk Sentinel and one of the options in this is to change the acoustic management of the hard drive when I change this to the recommended setting which it says is (FEh) as soon as I apply this change it reverts back to the default setting which is min performance and volume (80h). Does anyone know of any other software that allows me to change it to )FEh) to get the best performance out of the drive?

Hard drive is a Samsung HM500JI

Many Thanks

A:Samsung hard drive acoustic management

Offhand, I'd guess that only Samsung software can do that on a Samsung drive.

I'd also guess you are operating the software incorrectly, but I could be wrong. I haven't looked at that type of software in several years.

You might be able to force things back to a default with a jumper setting?

Samsung drives are known to be very quiet, so I think you are on the right track in leaving it on the high performance setting--the drive will probably be quieter than most even on the "noisiest" setting.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/105456-samsung-hard-drive-acoustic-management.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi, everyone.
I have a samsung s2 500 GB hard drive. It was working until yesterday, now I can't seem to access this.
Here's the problem. When I plug it in, it doesn't show the SAMSUNG(P but only "local disk(P". It shows that I should format it.)
Also, every time I try to right-click the local disk(P, it only ends up to not responding.

I tried changing renaming it, but still nothing. I checked if it is installed properly, and it does.
There is also no ticking sound in the disk inside, and the light is also lit up.
Please help me, there are so many important files inside and I hope it will not end up being formatted.

A:I can't access my samsung external hard drive. please please help

Hi, everyone.
I have a samsung s2 640GB hard drive.Now I can't seem to access this.
Also, every time I try to right-click the local disk(L), it only ends up to not responding
please helip me

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/240658-i-cant-access-my-samsung-external-hard-drive-please-please-help.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hey guys So I have a samsung TB External Hard Drive that all of a sudden tells me it needs to be formatted All I did prior to this happening was restart my PC the Samsung asking drive hard format external to same way I Samsung external hard drive asking to format do every day I have TB of files pictures videos and more on that drive with no backups of it anywhere and I really need everything back I have read many threads similar to this one but others don't seem to have exactly the same problem that I do in that when connected my EHD constantly appears and then disappears in My Computer with a pop-up message This means that no matter which data partition HD recovery software I use it doesn't allow me to select the EHD as it keeps disappearing from the list So basically when it is plugged in every seconds or so it disappears and then reappears with this pop-up message quot You need to format the disk in drive G before you can use it Do you want to format it quot Obviously I don't want to format it as that means I lose all my data Also it uses USB and is connected with a USB cable into a USB port I have tried - Changing the letter of the drive In terms of recovery software I have tried a few and another thing that makes it difficult for me to use besides my EHD disappearing all the tim is that I don't really know which options to choose For example iCare Data Recovery has sub-menus Lost Partition Recovery Advanced file recovery Deep Scan Recovery Format Recovery To me it would be between and but I don't really know In the help PDF it showed this - Screenshot by Lightshot These are the ones that seem like they are appropriate - Screenshot by Lightshot - I tried G f r G is my hard drive letter -I changed cable also All failed Any help will be greatly appreciated I have so many important photos and files please help me Thanks in advance - Hezron

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/402478-samsung-external-hard-drive-asking-format.html
Relevancy 60.2%

my laptop used to sound like a stereo (the internal original speakers), i could jam the better portion of my house with it.
now, after this new hard drive was installed (by a repair service) - it sounds, well, like a laptop.

its not very loud even with all the seemingly possible volume controls on the highest level.
but its not just an issue of volume, it sounds "distant", without bass, like at the other end of a long tunnel.

any suggestions before i have to sacrifice a day of bringing my laptop back to the repair guy?

A:Had new Solid State hard drive installed, now audio sounds funny

Check to see if any of your mixer control settings have been changed, not just volume levels.

I'm referring to digital processing settings that might add or omit reverb, extra bass, or maybe simulate certain venues--such as a stadium, a concert hall, a living room, a beer joint, etc.

Do you know that you are now using the same sound driver as before the SSD was installed? Maybe the repair service changed that too, accidentally or on purpose, for unknown reasons.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/372024-had-new-solid-state-hard-drive-installed-now-audio-sounds-funny.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Review: Hard disk vs. solid-state drive -- is an SSD worth the money? (3 web pages).

SSDs have the speed, but HDDs have the capacity

-- Tom

P.S. Why Hard Disk Is a Better Bargain Than SSD.

Review: Three new Western Digital drives hit top speeds.

These hard drives hit top rpms and data-transfer rates.

A:Review: Hard disk vs. solid-state drive -- is an SSD worth the money?

It's probably a good idea to wait a while on these things. Most people who have bought machines expecting nearly instantaneous response have been underwhelmed by the performance increases. And with the prices in the 300+% higher range, it may not be worth the money for most.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/review-hard-disk-vs-solid-state-drive-is-an-ssd-worth-the-money.836325/
Relevancy 60.2%

Samsung Electronics exclusively unveils the world's first 3GB HDD embedded music smartphone, the SGH-i300, at CeBIT 2005.

more infos here: http://www.mobiledia.com/news/27318.html

I found a very interesting article on CNET called:"Mobile hard drive revolution proposed"

The link is located here: http://www.cnet.com.au/mobilephones/accessories/0,39025938,40001782,00.htm

Mobile phones with 2-4gb (or more ) hard drives? Well, I guess it had to start becoming the norm sooner or later.

Looking forward to your oppionions.

Cheers,
Andy

HostPinPin.com Cheap Web Hosting Directory and Web Hosting Resources

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/samsung-sgh-i300-music-phone-with-3-gb-hard-drive.23435/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hello everybody!
Hope all well & in a helpful mood!
I`m running Windows 8.1, on a Sony Vaio, &, trying to access my music stored on Samsung M3 1TB external hard drive. It seems to load up about 99% of the drive, (after quite a long-ish wait), then, I get a, "pc not responding", message. So near, yet so far, kind of thing, &, I`m tearing my hair out here because of it!
Any help/guidance, would be gratefully received, as all of my research, so far, has not produced anything that`s worked.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3227U CPU @ 1.90GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3974 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -2044 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 687088 MB, Free - 594313 MB;
Motherboard: Sony Corporation, VAIO
Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2015, Updated and Enabled
Thanking you in advance!

A:Windows 8.1 not fully loading my Samsung M3 1TB Hard Drive! Please help!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-8-1-not-fully-loading-my-samsung-m3-1tb-hard-drive-please-help.1138431/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi all

I have a samsung 500 Gbyte external hard drive. Today i couldnt acces it. the message is the following.
"The volume does not contain a recognized file system. please make sure that all the required file system drivers and that the volume is not corrupted. (1005)

Anytime i go to my computer and click on wants me to format the hard drive. It also says local disc G instead of samsung G.

I ve seen recommendation with ,,incahce,, or something that should work. But i have no idea how to do that. i would need a step by step description how to do that.

Thank you so much in advance

A:samsung external hard drive failure with vista

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Is there anything on the Hard Drive? Have you already formated it to NTFS? Is it connected using a USB?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/samsung-external-hard-drive-failure-with-vista-656632.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I have hdd on my pc Primary is sata which has the windows on it and the second one is ide samsung The ide has slowed down suddenly due to some unknown reason I reinstalled the windows and everything worked fine for a few days and again it started slowing down I noticed when copying a video of IDE Solved: a drive Samsung all sudden hard slow file from D hard disk to C instead of secs it would take minutes and Solved: Samsung IDE hard drive slow all of a sudden sometimes the times would go back and forth fluctuate Also disk defragmentation for e when analyzing it would take seconds longer than in the past It would gradually reveal blue bars a bit at a time until the full analyzing had been done It took me minutes to copy mb of files Please help I even tried uninstalling the drive and then disconnectiong and again reinstalling from device manager But nothing worked Some post said that I need to refresh the connection to mother board but all in vain Please help nbsp

A:Solved: Samsung IDE hard drive slow all of a sudden

Hi,
have you tryed a virus scan? Have you changed any hardware in your computer recently? Do you have all of the newest drivers for all your hardware? (old drivers can cause system instablity)..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-samsung-ide-hard-drive-slow-all-of-a-sudden.864714/
Relevancy 60.2%

This will probably seem strange to some out there but I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem I just installed a Samsung Spinpoint Spinpoint F3 me ill drive--making feel TB hard Samsung 1 F TB hard drive and as soon as I turned the computer on I began to feel quite strange It is almost like a headache particularly in my head but really over my whole body A weird almost numby achey strong feeling--really the quot strong quot part is most descriptive--like what you would imagine from a magnetic pull I don t really have the words to describe it properly I am guessing that it Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB hard drive--making me feel ill is the EMF from the drive I have had similar problems using a Compaq s laptop which I am writing on now Once I removed the wireless card I couldn t just turn off the wireless I had to remove the card things were much better and generally I can use the laptop The hard drive though is another story Obviously I could remove it but then I am out plus all the labor putting it in and formatting it One site I looked at Computers for the Electrically Sensitive said that some drives may have more powerful voice coils for positioning I don t really know what that is but if there is some way to adjust things perhaps that is a solution I am wondering if there is a way to find out the strength of the voice coil in a hard drive or how much emf the hard drive is putting out--before I buy it Does anyone know Another site mentioned that adding more and more devices will sometimes lead to quot too much quot EMF When I disconnected my other hard drive from the computer that helped just ever so slightly Does anyone know of any materials that will block out EMF There are claims for some materials but I don t know that I trust claims from websites trying to sell you something Other solution I could try moving my computer very far away from my keyboard and monitor I d prefer not to to do that as these days I need to access USB drives etc pretty frequently and I am not sure how far away I d need to move it Thank you for help or for links to sites that can provide me with more help nbsp

A:Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB hard drive--making me feel ill

Make sure your motherboard is not touching the case chassic and instead is screwed on properly.

Make sure of all your connection turn off computer and turn off PSU switch.

Wait 10 seconds turn switch on and turn on computer and let us know what happens.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/samsung-spinpoint-f3-1-tb-hard-drive-making-me-feel-ill.154778/
Relevancy 60.2%

http://tinyurl.com/q9p53

The 32-gigabyte (GB) NAND flash-based solid state disk (SSD) can upload and download data quickly and quietly as it uses instantly-accessible static NAND flash memory instead of the rotating discs found in hard drives.

SSD weighs only half as much as a hard drive, reads data three times faster and writes data 1,5 times quicker, it said.

It consumes a mere five percent of the electricity needed to power a hard disk drive and operates silently as it requires no motor or any other noise-making parts.

A:Samsung develops drive to replace hard disk

Awesome. Solid-state memory needs to replace ferromagnetic plates of glass. Methinks this step in technology is long overdue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/samsung-develops-drive-to-replace-hard-disk.451890/
Relevancy 59.77%

Heya everyone.

I have a second hard drive in my desktop stored for media stuff ( three folders, pictures, music and videos).
I had a folder that I wanted to move from my portable hard drive to my desktop media hard drive so I used the cut paste command (crtl+x, ctrl v) to put it in there but after it was finished, my videos folder was deleted. I don't remember getting a warning message about the deletion or any pop ups. The folder from my portable hard drive has moved successfully but now my videos folder is gone and I even can see that it made more room for my media storage now.

There is no previous version when I go into my second hard drive properties. How can I recover my videos folder back or get back to the last state?
Thanks for reading

A:Solved: Restore second hard drive to previous state or recover deleted folder from it

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-restore-second-hard-drive-to-previous-state-or-recover-deleted-folder-from-it.1112702/
Relevancy 58.91%

I recently purchased a Samsung quot GB USB external hard disk on eBay and received it just this morning After a bit of testing I decided I wanted to separate it into two partitions one for data and one for my Wii games When I tried to do that using Windows XP s disk manager it went formatted then returned a plain quot Format did not complete successfully quot with no additional info Then the hard drive just disappeared Windows explorer will not detect it it will make the quot USB device connected disconnected quot noises upon plugging it in or unplugging it from the computer however and neither will the disk manager which means I can t simply delete the partition and format again The blue LED indicating connection between the drive and the computer does blink when I plug the drive in and then it remains static until I unplug it Any help is really really appreciated I ll gladly provide additional information recognised External 500GB) drive not format failed; hard (Samsung to the best of my knowledge nbsp

A:External hard drive (Samsung 500GB) format failed; not recognised

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-samsung-500gb-format-failed-not-recognised.964573/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hello about weeks ago my wifes acer aspire laptop showed an unwelcomed operating system not found on the screen I have since removed the cover and felt and listened to Acer hard Aspire 5536 Will Samsung work in drive HN-M101MBB the hard drive and it is definitely not even spinning up either that or it s the most calm quiet hard drive ever I think the hard drive failed I am considering purchasing the hard drive listed below for this acer aspire computer will this hard drive work in this computer I don t want to make the mistake of purchasing it and find out it doesn t work because it s too much capacity or LBA addressing is incorrect or some other reason the expert advice I request is most appreciated here s links to newegg and info about the hard drive http promotions newegg com NEemai MC-IGNEFL - -EMC- -Index- -E - -All http www newegg com Product Produ -Index- -LaptopHardDrives- - -L O SAMSUNG Will Samsung HN-M101MBB hard drive work in Acer Aspire 5536 Spinpoint M HN-M MBB TB RPM MB Cache quot SATA Gb s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive nbsp

A:Will Samsung HN-M101MBB hard drive work in Acer Aspire 5536

Basically, it depends on what version of Windows you are running and make sure that the laptop has a SATA or PATA connection...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-samsung-hn-m101mbb-hard-drive-work-in-acer-aspire-5536.186635/
Relevancy 55.9%

Samsung has launched a trio of TCO-optimized solid state drives based on the company's three-dimensional (3D) Vertical NAND (V-NAND) flash technology.

Read more

A:Samsung launches three high-speed NVMe solid state drives with 3D V-NAND

I want to see some benchmark tests.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/samsung-launches-three-high-speed-nvme-solid-state-drives-with-3d-v-nand.217981/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello My  Toshiba Laptop failed to start so i removed my newly purchased and installed SSHD and put it in a replacement computer after removing its existing hard drive. I started the computer and it has worked fine for a few weeks so i decided to reinstal
the original OEM Widows 7 disc and its product key on the CD cover. Microsoft does not recognize the product key. I have checked the number several times it is the product key i am typing in. I also have the original product key for the xp version also.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cc517a07-6758-4dcd-9778-77f03d97d0c3/solid-state-hard-drive-with-windows-7-loaded-in-a-replacement-computer-that-had-xp-loaded?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 55.04%

Keep seeing secondary drive disappear under heavy IO operations.  This has happened across multiple machines.  Have attempted all firmware and BIOS updates available.  
Anybody else seeing this with their T7910's and have you used any other drive models in these workstations.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19991238
Relevancy 54.61%

I was watching the video introduction to the new MacBook Air on apple.com and they mentioned a "solid-state hard drive". What does that mean?

Relevancy 53.32%

I have an x1 carbon 4th gen. I bought my laptop and upgraded the hard drive to the samsung 950 pro. Unfortunately, my laptop does not seem to recognize the new SSD. Can anyone help me here? I am extremely frustrated to be honest and I have no idea what to do. Thanks.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Error-2100-hard-drive-error-samsung-950-pro/td-p/3361790
Relevancy 52.03%

I have two drives in which I took the data from C and restructured it into new folders and sub-folders on I. If I look at a sync report, I get a whole lot of file create, delete, and folder create/delete. I would like to have something that would ignore the folder structures and give me a report of what files are in C: that aren't in I:. Is this possible?

A:Drive comparison that ignores folder structure?

You could use Karen's Directory Printer to make a text file list of all the files on C and another list of the files on I.

Then do a DOS sort on each list, which would be Sort input.txt /o sorted.txt.

Use WinMerge to compare the lists.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/drive-comparison-that-ignores-folder-structure.920517/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello,

When I was running Windows 7, my system had a small solid state C drive that did not have enough space for windows 10 upgrade. I got a larger 2TB regular hard disk and used the manufacturer's software to clone the old Windows-7 SSD C drive to the new 2TB and then upgraded to Windows 10.

Now under windows 10, when go into defrag, the C Drive shows as a Solid State drive and of course windows does not want to optimize it.

The new drive definitely is not SSD. I assume somehow that setting was cloned from the old disk.

Is there either a way to change the C drive to a regular "hard disk drive" or force windows to defrag what it thinks is a SSD?

Thank you in advance.

A:Windows Misidentifies C Drive as Solid State Drive - cannot defrag?

You might want to start by looking in Device Manager (right click Start and select Device Manager) and seeing how that disk drive is identified. Does it show as the SSD?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/21871-windows-misidentifies-c-drive-solid-state-drive-cannot-defrag.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi all,
New to the forum.
I have an Dell Inspiron 15-5558 and am wanting to swap the optical DVD drive for a Sandisk Ultra II 240GB ssd for the operating system.
I'm quite newbie with modding hardware so just wondering what I would need apart from the hard drive itself.
I know I'll need some sort of bay to hold it in but does anyone know where I would source one to the same specs as the drive so the case is all flush

A:Swap Laptop Optical Drive for Solid State Drive

You will probably need some sort of Tray and it's likely to be smaller than the Standard Hard Drive

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/swap-laptop-optical-drive-solid-state-drive-4598430/
Relevancy 48.16%

Just looking for opinions/first hand knowledge, I guess. Ready to buy a new comp and want to get away from the proprietary Dell with it's inherent incapability of being upgraded. A year or more ago a lot of people were talking up Micron, but I know they've gone through bankruptcy since then. Just wondering if their product has been adversely affected. Still see some good sounding computers on their site. Altenatively- If anyone recommends a good non-proprietary computer. Thanks.

A:Micron PC's

Why not build your own? It's easier & cheaper than most folks realize. You'll end up with exactly what you want & have the satisfaction of doing it yourself. No one can sell a reasonably priced PC, say $1000-$2000, for what you can build it for. They always end up scimping somewhere.
With sites like this even tech support can be handled. As long as you buy retail warrenties for componets can be as long as any PC vendor.
I'm not real familiar with Micron other than they've been around awhile & they're fairly large. What makes you think they won't put proprietary componets in it?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/micron-pcs.112680/
Relevancy 48.16%

Does any body here own a Micron PC? If so what is the quality of the tech support and their computers?

A:Does anybody own a Micron pc?

Hi, I've a Micron XKU266 purchased in '97. I can't compare it to any other as it's the only one I've had and I've been pleased. Tech. support a few years back ran the gamut from great to not nice, although Micron got VG reviews.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/does-anybody-own-a-micron-pc.51006/
Relevancy 47.73%

Quote Though solid-state drives are in vogue market forces and technical issues are giving the venerable hard-disk drive new life DRAMexchange a Taipei-based market intelligence firm said last week that the adoption of solid-state drives by computer vendors has slowed as the price of the NAND chips--the raw material of solid-state drives--has increased The firm also said that computer makers have been cautious about using Think disk again solid-state? or Hard solid-state drives because current Windows operating systems are not fully optimized for SSDs Numonyx NAND flash chip Credit Numonyx And the popularity of flash storage is waning in Netbooks These tiny laptops at one time used solid-state drives almost exclusively But Acer Hewlett-Packard Dell and others are moving en masse to Hard disk or solid-state? Think again configurations with large hard-disk drives in lieu of smaller-capacity solid-state drives SSDs typically offer higher performance--often much higher performance--than hard-disk drives and are more durable since they have no moving parts While those merits still apply lingering doubts about the long-term retention of the data in a solid-state drive is making the hard disk look not quite so pass Ed Doller the chief technical officer of Numonyx a flash memory chip maker which was spun off from Intel and STMicroelectronics last year addressed this issue in a recent phone interview Numonyx makes two kinds of flash NOR used for storing computer programs and NAND used widely as a data storage medium in digital cameras media players smartphones and solid-state drives quot It's if versus when With a hard drive it's if it's going to fail With an SSD it's when is it going to fail quot Doller said who critiques NAND only because his company is looking for a new storage medium--such as phase change memory--that can overcome some of NAND's inherent limitations Doller spoke about an epiphany he had after booting up a -year-old IBM AT quot I fired that thing up and it actually booted from the hard drive If that same computer had been built with a solid-state drive I can almost guarantee you that would not have worked It would have lost its information over that period of time quot Doller said Doller says NAND storage will get even more dicey as the densities increase--squeezing more memory cells into smaller areas NAND is classified as a non-volatile memory device because it won't lose its data contents when the computer is turned off--just like a hard disk drive Dynamic random access memory or DRAM used as the main memory in all PCs does lose its contents when the computer is powered off quot When you're talking about a non-volatile memory device there's really only two things that matter The first one being how many times can you write data to the device And the second is how long will the data be in the device quot he said quot Over time we've given up in the areas of those two very important parameters quot he said Doller continued quot It's one thing to produce a -nanometer NAND device that's good enough for a card for your phone It's another thing to say that I'm going to sell that same -nanometer to somebody who's going to build a solid-state drive for the corporate enterprise quot Controller chips integrated into the flash memory device can mitigate the shortcomings of flash-based storage by managing how the data is stored Doller said For example moving stored data around the device--called quot wear leveling quot --to avoid using one area of the disk over and over again For solid-state drive suppliers like Samsung and Intel the controller chip is the secret sauce for not only managing how the data is stored but boosting performance The problem according to Doller is that the user must implicitly trust the designer and manufacturer of the drive quot Whoever is building that drive has to have very intricate knowledge of how you and your operating system are using that non-volatile memory quot he said If the SSD technolog... Read more

A:Hard disk or solid-state? Think again

Micron Technology built a 2 billion dollar plant a mile from my house in UT counting on SSDs taking off (among other ventures)

The plant was "mothballed" for a few years because they judged it wrong because of some of the problems in this article. They have now teamed with Intel and have the plant up and running (IM Flash tech - a Micron/Intel) joint venture.

http://www.imftech.com/company/manufacture.html

They bet billions on flash media getting WAY bigger than it did. The market is pretty strange. I still think there is a lot of potential in flash if they can get it right.

Good article, thanks.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/15182-hard-disk-solid-state-think-again.html
Relevancy 47.73%

are these faster than a 7200rpm hard drive and are they worth the extra money?

A:solid state hard drives

They are much faster than mechanical drives. They are memory speed.

Whether they are worth the money depends on your system. Surprizingly, many people who have tried them have been less impressed than they thought they would be. The speed of a machine depends on many factors. Though drive speed is certainly one of those factors, it is not the only one.

So my take on all this is that putting a solid-state drive in a mid-level machine would be a complete waste of money. But putting them in high-end machines may show spectacular differences. "Instant On" machines with no boot time are certainly on the horizon, and Acer, I think, already has one out or close to it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solid-state-hard-drives.741784/
Relevancy 47.3%

I'm planning on buying an extra 256MB RAM for myself, to bring my RAM up to a total of 512MB. My two options are PC3200 Legend RAM and PC3200 Micron RAM. Which one should I buy?

Thanks.

Relevancy 46.87%

I have a Micron Millenia 533, and I can't figure out what the video card is, so that I can download a driver.

Please help me.

Ml, Ryan

A:Micron Millenia Driver!!!

G'day ryandale, try carefully watching the top of your monitor screen and reading at lightspeed at power-up.
You may require to do this several times.
Alternatively try inspecting the video chip in your machine and google the chip type number.
Some of these video card drivers are incredibly difficult to source, I trust you have googled all the information you have at hand so far using different keword combinations?
Cheers, qldit.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/micron-millenia-driver.359969/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hello first all my native language is Dutch so sorry for any strange sentences I SSD firmware Updating Micron have problems with my computer Every hour roughly my computer freezes or restarts Every now and then I get a blue screen F When I get a blue screen my SSD is gone from Updating firmware Micron SSD the bios I get an error when starting up So I have to reset my bios to default standards where my SSD turns up again I read through the internet and saw that micron SSD s have problems which looks like mine I have a C -MTFDDAK MAM There is an update for the firmware but im unsure which one to install I tried Micron H SSDFirmwareUpdate Signed exe but that is a wrong one apparently cause I get an error when trying to update When starting up it says that GRLDR MBR cannot be found Luckily my pc still starts up but no update is done Im afraid to just try any other one I also read something about disabling Marvel raid and unplugging the other harddrive but my technical expertise is not that high I dont have raid Can someone help me please Thanks in advance Martin nbsp

A:Updating firmware Micron SSD

Ok first stupid mistake made. I started the updater from my data disk and not the SSD.

It did do "something" but at the end it said there was no SSD to upgrade...

What now?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/updating-firmware-micron-ssd.192742/
Relevancy 46.87%

I need some decent Micron RAM for my system that would be good for overclocking and which will run on my board. I have a Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 paired with an Athlon FX-62. Please make some suggestions.

A:Please recomend some good Micron RAM

Micron own Crucial.com so if you want ram from them that is capable of overclocking, look at the Ballistix series.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/please-recomend-some-good-micron-ram.99566/
Relevancy 46.87%

Toshiba Sat Pro P750 PSAY3A-0MR001
I need to know if I can install a solid state hard drive in Sat Pro P750 PSAY3A-0MR001 and then run the recovery cd disk set.

A:Solid State Hard Drives in Satellite Pro P750

Of course you can do this. I have done this on my old Satellite P500 and it works perfectly.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?84622-Solid-State-Hard-Drives-in-Satellite-Pro-P750
Relevancy 46.87%

Will solid state hard drives work with Windows 8?

A:Will solid state hard drives work with Windows 8?

Yes, indeed. Many (if not most) new laptops have SSD's, as well as a number of new desktops have SSD boot drives and spinners for DATA. That being said, it is not always a simple matter to make the change from a spinner to SSD.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/will-solid-state-hard-drives-work-with-windows-8.1124989/
Relevancy 46.87%

I'm considering ordering the SSD in the title, but two questions pop into my head. First, I read where one person couldn't boot to this drive, because of his older hardware. My rigs are not spring chickens either, so I'm wondering if I would have such a problem booting this drive on them (check specs).

Second, I know that this drive is too small to install anything except an OS, but I have never installed only an OS on a drive/partition before, and thus I don't know that only 32GB is sufficient for the OS plus 2-3 shadow copies for System Restore...yes/no?

EDIT: Are there any apps that really need to be on the OS drive/partition? I am considering putting Opera on it, in hopes of giving it some more speed.

EDIT2: Would the pagefile need to be on the SSD also, or would it be just as good on a regular harddrive?

A:Patriot 32GB SATA II SSD Solid State Hard

Personally i would be wary of filling the drive up more than half full as they can start to slow down depending on how much the manufacturer underprovisions them.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/71189-patriot-32gb-sata-ii-ssd-solid-state-hard.html
Relevancy 46.44%

My MPC X3000 Laptop works good but the Dvd-cdrw is not recognized at start-up(message is- Secondary IDE drive Not detected). Tried changing Bios settings and also bought another drive but the same problem-so it is not recognized in XP also; so no D drive in Windows. The drive opens and spins up with a disc so what could be wrong???!!!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/micron-mpc-x3000-dvd-not-recognized-at-boot.888204/
Relevancy 46.44%

I am using a MICRON Electronics, TransPort NX laptop. (Its all the IT department will provide). The OS is Win2K. Its running service pack 4. The serial port on the laptop does not function. I have tested communications using HyperTerminal, and all tests failed. I don't believe that this is a Hardware problem, since the issue is with EVERY MICRON. I believe it might be a conflict with drivers?

The MICRONs are using a PCMCIA 3COM Net adapter card to connect to a LAN. This card is functioning fine, but I believe it might be interfering with the serial port. I checked the BIOS, and everything is correctly enables, and there are no Infrared Ports activated. The interrupts are also correct (3F8/I4) The issue is with COMM1.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

A:Serial Port Failure with MICRON

What does your IT rep say is the problem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/serial-port-failure-with-micron.341427/
Relevancy 46.44%

I have a 3-4 year old Micron T1000 with a P4 M 1.7 GHz CPU that died recently. The problems have just been building over the last year. Six to 8 months ago the power port started melting my AC adapter plugs, and overheating the adapter. Then recently, it began re-starting on its own about once a day. Finally, only the fan and CD would spin when it was turned on. After I ruled out the CPU and HD, I suspected a mobo failure, so I replaced it. But it still won't boot. The lights come on very briefly and their is a flicker on the screen when I hit the power button, but nothing happens. Could it be something else, or am did I replace it with bad mobo?

A:Micron T1000 notebook won't boot

Solution for dead Micron Transport T1000

Just wanted to post a solution to my own problem for all those out there who had viewed the page with similar problems. After testing the CPU I discovered that this Micron has an internal DC converter that was mistaken for a sound card. When replaced, the laptop booted up no problem. So essentially, it was a power supply issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/micron-t1000-notebook-wont-boot.43849/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hey,
Earlier today I bought a Micron TransPort GX+ with a P3 800 mhz processor, 320 mb ram, 20 gb hdd at a yard sale for $5. I got it home, and set it up. Win Xp loaded sucessfully. I opened MS Word and started to type a sentance, but the keys were all messed up. For example, when I press "T" it displays "T6Y" on the screen. It does similar things with other random keys. This is not only in MS Word, but all other programs that you type in. I think that reinstalling XP may solve the problem, but first, does anybody have any suggestions?

A:Micron laptop keyboard problem

Does not sound like a software problem, Try holding it upside down and brush between the keys with a small paint brush and then use a can of air to blow it out. Reinstalling the OS is free, so probably the next thing to try. A new keyboard is not likely to be available, but you could try the Micron website.
wrs

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/micron-laptop-keyboard-problem.332522/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi nbsp I ordered my computer with a single GB ram-stick and looking for options to upgrade to or GB The installed ram-stick is a Micron MTA ATF G HZ- G manufacturer question upgrade RAM non-ECC P50 Micron/Crucial label on the other side just Lenovo p n on this side I took a picture of it nbsp nbsp The second picture is a Crucial CT G SFD with identical specifications nbsp nbsp P50 non-ECC Micron/Crucial RAM upgrade question I have read that Micron's consumer products are marketed under the brand Crucial Is it possible that those two ram-sticks in the pictures are identical Some comments in this forum about ram-upgrades talks about the dual-channel wich requires two identical ram-sticks installed in a certain slot etc If the Micron- and Crucial-branded ram-sticks are the same is it possible to achieve dual-channel -performance with x Micron and x Crucial nbsp The price P50 non-ECC Micron/Crucial RAM upgrade question difference is nbsp when buying a Micron-stick from lenovo com with a weeks delivery time and incl VAT for the Crucial at the local store where I live Is it too good to be true

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P50-non-ECC-Micron-Crucial-RAM-upgrade-question/td-p/3442528
Relevancy 46.44%

I am trying to not by CD-ROM Max Client-Pro 480X Micron being PC read reload a Micron Client-Pro but when I try to put anything into the CD-ROM it does not read it It never changes from telling me to quot Please incert disk into drive E quot I have cleaned the lens changed out the disks I even swapped the CD-ROM s with another X Max CD-ROM Both work Micron Client-Pro 480X Max CD-ROM not being read by PC in the other Micron Client-Pro but fail to read in this machine I am currently doing a quot scandisk quot to see if it finds and fixes anything wrong with the machine If this doesn t work I am at a loss Just for your info the hard drive now has been wiped of an operating system via a Win boot disk and an AEF disk and reformatted All I need is for the machine to read the Windows disk to reload but now that there is no operating system I keep getting errors For example it will tell me when the Windows disk is in that it can not find the quot End User License Agreement quot nbsp

A:Micron Client-Pro 480X Max CD-ROM not being read by PC

I also swapped out the cables to see if they could be bad and I still had the same problems.

The weird thing is that the user told me they hadn't been having problems with the CD-ROM. We were only reloading the system because they didn't have enough space left on it to boot up properly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/micron-client-pro-480x-max-cd-rom-not-being-read-by-pc.8416/
Relevancy 46.44%

I have an older Micron computer that I would like to upgrade Over the last year I ve had to replace the H D the video card CD burner and of the ram sticks Mobo? year Micron, old 4 Upgrading I would like to upgrade the rest of the out dated stuff The CPU is the main thing I want to bring up to date and in doing so I would need to change the M B It currently is a Gig AMD Athlon My question is How much of the components that I currently have are reusable - can I just get a M B and put it in the original case and get a new CPU and Ram and reuse the H D Video Card ect What all is entailed in making this upgrade or am I better off starting with a new case and all I just want to speed up desktop applications photo apps very little serious gaming I have a GForce MX MB video card gig H D and DVD and CD burner Any suggestions will be appreciated Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 46.44%

I recently moved from a hard drive to a SSD . Unfortunately, the Samsung data migration tool didn't move my second drive. This was not surprising, as I had used Ext2 Volume Manager to mount the Ubuntu partition I had in dual boot. The software told me that it would be empty, but I decided to go ahead after backing up my programs and data.

My current problem is that I have a drive U:\ that shows up in explorer, but not in Disk Management. Also, it contains zero bytes, so it is of no practical value. I would like to hide it, but using Disk Management doesn't work. I would prefer not to need to download a tool etc. Any ideas?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/60885-cloned-drive-via-samsung-ssd-2nd-drive-empty.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I bought this Micron off ebay for college as it was a decent computer and very affordable. My ONLY problem with it is I have had some issues trying to get wireless internet going on it. I cannot find a site anywhere listing what internet cards are applicable with this computer. I bought a Flarion ct-1000 Nextel Wireless Network Card to try in it, and it was absolutely useless. The first time I successfully installed it, it would search forever and find no connection, not even in Starbucks. I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall it, and the Mobility Manager is stuck in Disabled mode, with all attempts at enabling it failing. Now I'm hunting a new card that will allow me to connect to wireless internet at my college. Any suggestions? Sorry if my given information is lacking.

Relevancy 46.01%

Quote:
Intel and Micron plan to unveil new 25-nanometer flash memory chips on Monday via their IM Flash Technologies joint venture, the first commercial chip products made using advanced 25nm manufacturing technology.

The new 64 gigabit (8 gigabyte) MLC (multi-level cell) NAND flash memory chip will give the companies a significant cost advantage over rivals, chip market researcher Objective Analysis said in a research note. The research note was inadvertently sent out ahead of an official announcement by Intel and Micron, which is slated for Monday.

An Intel representative confirmed the new chips and said they are aimed at smartphones, solid-state drives (SSDs), and portable media players such as iPods.

Source -
Intel and Micron first to 25nm with new flash memory chips

A:Intel and Micron first to 25nm with new flash memory..

That is unbelievable when you consider that nanometer measurement describes the microscopic size of transistors and other parts on a chip and that a nanometer is a billionth of a meter, about the size of a few atoms combined.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/59907-intel-micron-first-25nm-new-flash-memory.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Folks I've got an Abit IP Pro mobo It has an intel IHC R controller for internal SATA ports It uses a JMicron JMB controller for eSATA ports That's the problem Currently the JMB is using R drivers However they only allow the eSATA ports to work in IDE mode BIOS allows choices IDE RAID AHCI Regardless of eSATA 363 install driver J Micron JMB problem BIOS choice in Device Manager they show as IDE with yellow warning symbols and additionally they seem to work as IDE ports rather than eSATA AHCI I need to be very careful with the order in which I plug in my external hard-drive power it on and reboot my machine so it will recognize the external hard-drive during POST That's not the J Micron JMB 363 eSATA driver install problem way it should work I want the eSATA ports to work in AHCI mode and be hot-pluggable I found new drivers on the JMicron site R eSATA dated June th These would SEEM to be what I want My OS is Vista Ultimate Unfortunately I cannot get the install to work I end up with an error stating INF not found What do I do next I am hoping that this driver will FINALLY enable me to hot-swap my external hard-drive for backups Thanks Ken

A:J Micron JMB 363 eSATA driver install problem

First upgrade Bios on MB
second after upgrade select AHCI in Bios
upgrade drivers from x:/JMB36X_WinDrv/Floppy64

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/293003-j-micron-jmb-363-esata-driver-install-problem.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Greetings I own a Toshiba Satellite C Laptop I bought it on amazon UK and it came with GB of Satellite receognize modules does not Micron Pro RAM new C850-1HE RAM I'm really happy with it but GB of ram isn't enough anymore Last week i bought more gigs of RAM The package says KomputerBay but the manufacturer is actually quot Micron quot So i installed it and turned on my laptop but my laptop did not recognize the Micron memory The bios says that i have quot Satellite Pro C850-1HE does not receognize new Micron RAM modules MB quot of ram installed instead of MB Therefore both Windows and Linux can only recognize GB of ram I then removed the original samsung ram and pressed the power button with only the Micron ram installed Unfortunatelly the computer didn't even show any image on the screen I already tested the Micron module on an old Toshiba Satellite L laptop and it works like a charm So the ram is not defective Also the ram is seated properly because CPU-Z detects it correctly http i imgur com DMROayG png Also i updated the BIOS and i am using the latest drives from toshiba website Is there anything i can try to make this ram work on my laptop

A:Satellite Pro C850-1HE does not receognize new Micron RAM modules

> Is there anything i can try to make this ram work on my laptop?
I dont think so. For me it is compatibility problem. Send it back and buy 100% compatible module for your notebook model.
Your notebook model can be upgraded up to 16GB and compatible RAM modules have follow part numbers:
2GB DDR3-1600 - PA5037U-1M2G
4GB DDR3-1600 - PA5037U-1M4G
8GB DDR3-1600 - PA5037U-1M8G

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?74981-Satellite-Pro-C850-1HE-does-not-receognize-new-Micron-RAM-modules
Relevancy 46.01%

Hey All,

I am building a computer in the next week that the customer wants a SSD 2.5" drive. I've never built a PC with an SSD in it. Couple of questions

Will the standard 2.5" drive bay in a case hold the drive alright?

Will the drive be susceptible to electro shock and data loss in a power failure or hard reset?

Does the SSD need to be insulated in the case any particular way?

Does the SSD need specific proprietary power or SATA cables to interface with a modern motherboard?

Thanks

A:Solid State Drive

Connections and Size will very on which drive you get, but traditionally it will fit in a 2.5 bay and can support a sata connection. Nothing extra is needed. It shouldn't be any more susceptible to data loss during power failures then normal drives (of course like normal drives, you may lose data if you are writting to it during said power loss).

For more details see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solid-state-drive.981597/
Relevancy 46.01%

This is either an issue with formatting a new Solid State Drive or something related cloning data and setting up windows on the SSD The plan was to run the OS off the SSD First I now know I forgot to format the SSD before cloning but it think it may have happened automatically because the clone process seems to have worked sort of The bad it took up 's of a GB SSD not good So I thought why not start over delete everything on the SSD set State Solid up Drive format it Solid State Drive set up and try a clean install from my windows upgrade disc Did that and it work better just a small amount of the SSD was used but But now with just the SSD plugged in am Solid State Drive set up getting an error at boot up quot No boot manager quot and boot fails Plug the original HD drive back in and boot is fine and appears to be running off the SSD Solid State Drive set up mostly quiet and fast But the old hard drive does tick away now and then So I'm thinking this is not how it should be and not as efficient as it should be This is why I bought the SSD to boot faster play games and most common aps off the SSD faster Where did I miss the boat Is boot manager something I can add I tried to boot via the upgrade disc and do a repair but it fails saying quot Partition for windows missing quot which may be a formatting issue too I am guessing the partition houses the boot manager How can I fix I get Microsoft security error during repair My Solid State Drive says at the Disk Management Screen GB NTFS Healthy System Active Primary Partition Marlon

A:Solid State Drive set up

I would format the SSD then do step by step what you did the first time.

edit: also take a look through the Tutorials section. I'm sure there's several concerning SSDs and their various configuration options.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/310774-solid-state-drive-set-up.html
Relevancy 46.01%

i install a new ssd and plan to used it as C; when is plug in by itself it works, but when i plug the other drive the system always choses the old drive to boot, i see the new drive in the main screen, but not in the boot priority one, how can i reassign the drives , right now the system don't let me change the letter on the old partition with the os. in it

A:solid state drive

BIOS boot change.
Boot Priority - Change - Vista Forums

Default Operating System - Change Default Boot OS

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/96672-solid-state-drive.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi

I am looking at getting an Solid State Drive to run just my OS on Windows 7 Home Premium. I have found a 30gb solid state drive and an 64gb drive, is the 30gb would the 30gb be big enough or would it be better to g for the 64GB drive?

Please can you let me know

Thanks

A:Which Solid State drive is best?

Personally, I would go with the bigger 64GB, to allow for some growth.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/81829-solid-state-drive-best.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Is it possible to install a solid state drive as the second hard drive for a laptop? I have a dell inspiron 1420.
Is there a noticeable performance gain?
If its not possible to install internally, is there a way to make a solid state drive the primary drive and have it externally?

A:solid state drive

I read that only some of the 17" laptops come with two drive bays. I checked and my 17" laptop does have two drive bays.

I'm no expert, but I've read and have been told heard this a noticable performance gain.

Inside it can be used as primary or secondary. Outside the computer it might only be able to be used as data storage but I'm not 100% sure.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solid-state-drive.760707/
Relevancy 46.01%

I recently purchased a new graphics cards and a SSD for me home pc. I installed the graphics card (Nvidia 760 GTX) without issue and it was working well, but when I tried to plug in the SSD everything went wrong quickly. Computer is now very slow to load, I can't seem to find a way to actually get anything on the SSD (primarily want to OS on it at least) and videos won't play in HD. Any help for what I might have done wrong or how to make the new drive work like I want it to would be greatly appreciated. I'm running windows 7, but don't have the disk if a reinstall is something that I need to do.

First of all, no one [other than you] has any idea what we are working on. Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact mb, exact ram, exact pw supply installed, etc, etc. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, then post the exact make and model#

As for the ssd, post the exact ssd you installed along with what mode is used for the sata controller.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solid-state-drive.1107854/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi,

I was wondering, with 400 Dolars to spend on HDs, which one do i choose?
I will never use more than 500 GB, which i think is too much.
And i wanted a fast drive, like an SSD.
But i heard that SSDs have a short-life, and they're speed are decreased according to its age.

So, what would be better?
Buy 4x 250 GB 7200 RPM HDs and make Raid 4

Or 1x 128 SSD and a 500 GB for storage

Better that you should read these articles first:

http://www.sevenforums.com/news/6203...ink-again.html

A *really really really* good article about SSDs - very long and intensive.

Memory (DDR2|DDR3) and Storage (HDD|SSD)

Any review that Guru3D writes regarding SSDs the preface with a basic refresher about SSDs.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/24501-solid-state-drive.html