Windows Support Forum

Switching partitions

Q: Switching partitions

Just got a new laptop and the hard drive is split in to two partitions C: which has the os and a small amount of memory(50GB) and D: (150GB). My problem is that everything I install or download goes to partition C: which is now full. How do I make all downloads installs go to D: from now on? I am using windows 7 premium.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Switching partitions

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Switching partitions

On most program setups will allow you do change the directory to where ever you want. If its not in plan sight the you will have to select a custom installment. if your taking about downloads from IE, Internet Explorer, when you download something you will have to save it as "save as" and select where you want it. If your talking about in FireFox you will have to look in the opinions, in the general tab you will see downloads.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switching-partitions.157690/
Relevancy 60.2%

2 partitions on the same drive. Both are primary. I created a new partition and copied, hoping to avoid a fresh install. The one I want to get rid of is the boot partition. The other one that I want is set to system, active, and has the page file. I copied the boot files with bcdboot. When I go to msconfig, it only shows the boot partition. I just want to boot into the new partition and delete the old one.

A:switching partitions

in bcd set the one you want as the boot partition then

you can go into disk management and format the partition you wish to remove

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switching-partitions.1097437/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi everyone Recently I reformatted windows XP to Vista and switching Hi,Hi, between partitions I need help I didn't want to lose all my old files in XP That's why when it asked me which partition to download vista into I did not choose the main Gb partition because I feared it would erase all my old XP Hi,Hi, I need help switching between partitions files Therefore I downloaded the new vista into the Gb partition Now Hi,Hi, I need help switching between partitions after downloading I was very happy to see that all my old XP files were still saved under drive D Gb However now that I am operating under windows vista in drive C Gb I wanted to know if there is any way I can switch back into operating my Gb drive D partition instead of operating in the C drive I hope this does not sound too confusing- I tried my best to talk as clear as possible considering I know absolutely nothing about computers If you have any questions in clarifying please let me know And thank you whoever is willing to take their time out and help me fix my problem Your help is very much appreciated -Mike

A:Hi,Hi, I need help switching between partitions

Hi everyone,

Recently I reformatted windows XP to Vista and I didn't want to lose all my old files in XP. That's why when it asked me which partition to download vista into, I did not choose the main 80 Gb partition because I feared it would erase all my old XP files.

Therefore I downloaded the new vista into the 26 Gb partition.
Now after downloading, I was very happy to see that all my old XP files were still saved under drive D (80 Gb).

However, now that I am operating under windows vista in drive C (26 Gb), I wanted to know if there is any way I can switch back into operating my 80 Gb drive D partition instead of operating in the C drive.

I hope this does not sound too confusing- I tried my best to talk as clear as possible, considering I know absolutely nothing about computers.
If you have any questions in clarifying, please let me know.

And thank you whoever is willing to take their time out and help me fix my problem.
Your help is very much appreciated.

-Mike

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/hi-hi-i-need-help-switching-between-partitions-299073.html
Relevancy 59.34%

i recently had a problem with windows (impossible i know!) so i had to reinstall and switch partitions...steps i took can be found here http://www.techsupportforum.com/f10/solved-power-outage-now-stuck-in-startup-187591.html

so now my problem is that my c drive is critically low on space. i've tried to install all programs onto my e drive but hasn't made a considerable difference because windows pretty much takes up the whole c drive anyway.

okay my question is, how (or can) i switch my e drive to be my primary partition?
*head*desk*

please help. i'll make a shrine to worship all that is geek.

A:[SOLVED] switching partitions?

use acronis true image to move it over
http://www.acronis.com/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-switching-partitions-189382.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi I'm new to the whole partitioning hard drive thing... so i need help...
ok recently i partitioned my laptop hard drive on my brand new Dell Studio 1555 that has windows 7 on it. My plan was to add another partition so i could have windows xp and windows 7 on two seperate partitions...

First i partitioned the drive using a free partitioning program..
Then, I added windows xp on my newly added second partition..
But, when i turn off my pc and turn it back on it will only open windows xp

now here comes my question

how do i switch between the operating systems on boot up?
Is there a boot manager that can help me or something?

I know that all my windows 7 stuff is there on the separate partition and it wasn't overwritten because it says it is when i go to my computer...so nothing is erased....

I thank who ever will help me with this

A:[SOLVED] Help with switching partitions

ok i figured it out... you must download .net framework 2.0 if u don't have it then download...bce bootloader or something...and add windows xp to the list...ugh probably didn't help anyone there did i?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-help-with-switching-partitions-457656.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I have three partitions on my hard drive. At boot up I used to be given a choice of partitions. This no longer happens for some reason. Is there any way switch partitions now?

A:switching partitions on one drive

So you had three seperate partitions, with three seperate OS's? You were given the option to choose which OS you wanted to load and now it doesnt allow you too? Sorry i just want to make sure im understanding your situation clearly.

-alias

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/switching-partitions-on-one-drive-332190.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I partitioned my HD and loaded XP on both primary partitions The original is on an NTFS partition the new one is FAT if this matters I loaded XP on both because I am trying out different versions of Office I used PartitionMagic and Boot Magic to do this After partitioning I used Boot Magic to boot from the new partition it worked and I installed XP Then I used Boot Magic again to boot up the original OS but now I can t go back to the new partition Boot Magic will no Help XP Magic, - Boot on (Partition partitions both between Magic) switching with longer run on the original OS because it detects a duplicate copy on the new partition Weird it wont let me install Boot Magic on both partitions I ve used Partition Magic to quot activate quot the new partition adn Help with switching between partitions - XP on both (Partition Magic, Boot Magic) hide the original one but it still boots the original one So then I used PQBoot which is supposed to immediately boot up the selected partitioned drive but again only the original boots up How do I access my new partition again nbsp

A:Help with switching between partitions - XP on both (Partition Magic, Boot Magic)

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I have deleted your other thread, as two threads for the same problem are not required.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-switching-between-partitions-xp-on-both-partition-magic-boot-magic.47238/
Relevancy 45.15%

hi i have 2 partitions on my pc C: OS D: DATA
however it used to have a recovery partition (as far as im aware hidden on c)
for system restore (acer system restore)
which leads me to my query as i have recently performed a format and clean install of vista from retail media and have no need for acer system restore would it be ok to delete this partition/hidden partition and reclaim the HDD space.. and how best to proceed to safely do so..

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

A:partitions hidden partitions recovery partitions

i just found this

Delete and Remove to Unlock EISA Hidden Recovery or Diagnostic Partition in Vista ? My Digital Life

does anyone have any experience with this method or can anyone reccomend this method

or would you advise against using this method.

thanks

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/298866-partitions-hidden-partitions-recovery-partitions.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi guys First of all I Off, and and Running Slow, off AVG Itself Really Switching on Firewall Switching Windows On itself Computer would like to thank you in advance for your help and assistance I have both DDS reports but for some reason everytime I run the RootRepeal programme it never finishes I let it run for hours last night and it never got to the end Anyhow here are the DDS reports DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by david at on Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition GMT AV AVG Anti-Virus Free On-access scanning enabled Updated DDD - FF- F- E B- Computer Running Really Slow, AVG Switching Itself On and Off, Windows Firewall Switching itself on and off D D BF Computer Running Really Slow, AVG Switching Itself On and Off, Windows Firewall Switching itself on and off Running Processes C WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunch C WINDOWS system svchost -k rpcss C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcs C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k WudfServiceGroup C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k NetworkService C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k LocalService C WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXE C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k LocalService C PROGRA AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k HTTPFilter C WINDOWS system slserv exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k imgsvc C PROGRA AVG AVG avgemc exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgrsx exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgnsx exe C Program Files Windows Media Player WMPNetwk exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgcsrvx exe C WINDOWS System alg exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C PROGRA AVG AVG avgtray exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Documents and Settings david Desktop dds scr C WINDOWS system wbem wmiprvse exe Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page hxxp www google co uk mWinlogon Userinit c windows system userinit exe c windows system sdra exe BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper e f-c d - d -b d- b d be b - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelper dll BHO RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer c e -b - bc - - c ca - c program files real realplayer rpbrowserrecordplugin dll BHO AVG Safe Search ca f - f e- b -a e- e e c c - c program files avg avg avgssie dll BHO Search Helper ebf - f- bff-a f-b e aac b - c program files microsoft search enhancement pack search helper SEPsearchhelperie dll BHO SSVHelper Class bb-d f - c-b eb-d daf d d - c program files java jre bin ssv dll BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper d - c - abf- ecc- c - c program files common files microsoft shared windows live WindowsLiveLogin dll BHO Google Toolbar Notifier BHO af de - d - -b fa-ce b ad d - c program files google googletoolbarnotifier swg dll BHO Windows Live Toolbar Helper e a dc - - a - ea-dc ec acf - c program files windows live toolbar wltcore dll TB amp Windows Live Toolbar fa ef- d- d - b f- a d - c program files windows live toolbar wltcore dll TB BDAD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - No File TB BED - B- BC- E-C C DD F - No File TB D D -C B- BD-AE - A BC FA - No File TB CBE -C B- F- BC- CBB E D - No File TB amp Yahoo Toolbar ef bd -c fb- d - f- d f - TB amp Google c b - - d - b - a cd f - TB BB D -A - B -A -C A F EC - No File EB Real com fe fa -d c- d - fa- c f afe - c windows system Shdocvw dll EB BED - B- BC- E-C C DD F - No File uRun ctfmon exe c windows system ctfmon exe mRun AVG TRAY c progra avg avg avgtray exe dRun CTFMON EXE c windows system CTFMON EXE dRun Power GoExpress quot c program files cyberlink power go Power GoExpress exe quot IE e e dd -d - - b -f ba - windir Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe IE FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - c program files messenger msmsgs exe IE C - CB - a-A C -D FCDDC D - F B - A - F - DB-E F AEC - c program files windows live writer WriterBrowserExtension dll DPF B CFB- - -A -C A C - hxxp messenger zone msn com binary msgrchkr cab cab DPF B EF- C - CA-BFBA- A E - hxxps support microsoft com OAS ActiveX MSDcode cab DPF B BCA- F C- CF- - - hxxp fpdownload mac... Read more

A:Computer Running Really Slow, AVG Switching Itself On and Off, Windows Firewall Switching itself on and off

Hi,My name is Syler and I will be helping you to solve your Malware issues. If you have since resolved your issues I would appreciate if youwould let me no so I can close this topic, if you still need help please let me no what issues you are still having, in your next reply.We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up.We need to create an OTL ReportPlease download OTL from one of the following mirrors:This is THE MirrorSave it to your desktop.Double click on the icon on your desktop.Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following bold text.
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
/md5start
eventlog.dll
scecli.dll
netlogon.dll
cngaudit.dll
sceclt.dll
ntelogon.dll
logevent.dll
iaStor.sys
nvstor.sys
atapi.sys
IdeChnDr.sys
viasraid.sys
AGP440.sys
vaxscsi.sys
nvatabus.sys
viamraid.sys
nvata.sys
nvgts.sys
iastorv.sys
ViPrt.sys
/md5stop
CREATERESTOREPOINT
Push the button.Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here:OTL.txt <-- Will be openedExtra.txt <-- Will be minimizedThen please post back here with the following logs: OTL.txt Extra.txtThanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/279063/computer-running-really-slow-avg-switching-itself-on-and-off-windows-firewall-switching-itself-on-and-off/
Relevancy 41.71%

Hello,
One of my friends has a windows 7 computer with an account for himself, his mother and his 2 sisters.
All the home directorys are stored in drive C.
Partition D is shared.
The question is, how to get a partition layout like this?
Partition 1: OS + programs
Partition 2: home partition for himself
Partition 3: home partition for his mother
Partition 4: home partition for his sister
Partition 5: home partition for his other sister
Partition 6: shared partition for some photos.
Has someone an idea how to do this?
Kind Regards,
x11.

A:How to create home partitions and partitions for the OS with programs?

This would be a long drawn out affair and there really is no need for it. All users have their own User Space on the C drive in the User folder.

Whether the Users folders and files are stored in the User folder or on some other partition doesn't really matter. As long as all the Users have Admin accounts all files will be accessible to all of them.

The real question is Why do you want to do it? If there is only one physical hard drive in the system all folders and files would still be on that one physical drive even if you have 100 partitions.

As to having a Shared space for photos just make a folder called Shared Photos in the ROOT of the C drive. All users will be able to access it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/268309-how-create-home-partitions-partitions-os-programs.html
Relevancy 41.71%

Hello I was redirected to start a new thread in this section of the forum Basically I have hard drives One SSD for the primary and one TB drive for the secondary My secondary drive was partitioned into parts In the last month the secondary had of recover do RAW 3 4 partitions to partitions/data I gone How status. been disappearing I could see it in safe mode And when I scanned 3 of 4 partitions gone to RAW status. How do I recover partitions/data for hardware via rapid storage technology it would pop up in Windows Explorer during normal mode The only problem besides disappearing after shutting down restarting was that it would freeze the computer if kept on Today I tried to do the old Rapid Storage trick Everything was visible again except one drive It was saying access is denied when i tried to open it in windows explorer I tried swapping SATA cables for the current one I also tried connecting it to other ports I read somewhere that flashing the BIOS would solve the problem I flashed my BIOS with Gigabyte's BIOS with the latest BIOS The latest BIOS was for quot Better SATA compatibility quot It didn't do much all it did was cause Rapid Storage Technology to see less ports which I believe were the would be partitions on the secondary drive So I disconnected the secondary drive and tried connecting it to the PC with a SATA to USB adapter It saw the HDD except partitions were empty And even in the 3 of 4 partitions gone to RAW status. How do I recover partitions/data partition the folders housing the bigger files that took up most of the drive is empty Sorry for typing up so much I just wanted to get everything out there If anyone can help me that would be 3 of 4 partitions gone to RAW status. How do I recover partitions/data much appreciated

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/396681-3-4-partitions-gone-raw-status-how-do-i-recover-partitions-data.html
Relevancy 41.28%

i's Switching on but some error and any key press to shut down

A:nokia lumia 520 is switching off do not switching on

Originally Posted by Windows Central Question i's Switching on but some error and any key press to shut down You need to plug it to a pc and use WDRT; but if it's the error No boot device found, WDRT is not always working. That's a faulty hardware

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/436094-nokia-lumia-520-switching-off-do-not-switching.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Hi guy's just wondering if it's possible to get windows 7 to switch audio drivers when you switch to another user account.

For eg.. normal speakers device for my personal account and then have my multichannel device (profire 2626) set as default for my other user account 4 studio work.

Atm, if i change it on one account it changes on the other account which is annoying and i'd just like to set default device for each account so i don't have to do this.

Thx

A:Switching drivers when switching users?

I don't think this is really possible since the sound settings apply globally. I'm curious why you want to do this, though...

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/191138-switching-drivers-when-switching-users.html
Relevancy 38.27%

I formatted a technika 2GB, that i bought from tesco, from FAT to NTSF and then copied 201 songs onto it. Each time that i switch it on, display shows ' Media Entertainment' then turns off.It does not play the music. Can anyone help please?

A:technika mp3 switching off after switching it on

Instead of NTFS try formatting it to FAT32.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/technika-mp3-switching-off-after-switching-it-on.813541/
Relevancy 34.4%

Have XP. Drive split evenly between C and D. C has 35.4GB Total Size and 544MB Free Space. D has 39.0GM Total Space and 39.0GB Free Space. I would like to create one drive or at least transfer some of space from D drive to C drive. Would appreciate some help in "how to". Thanks

A:How to Merge Partitions to Extend C Partition merge partitions to extend C drive

Windows Vista and newer have built-in tools that can resize volumes. See our tutorial for that here.Windows XP and earlier don't have the tools built-in, so you have to use a third party partitioning tool. We have a tutorial for that, too. This tutorial covers shrinking an existing volume to make space for a new second volume, but resizing two existing volumes is substantially similar.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/443858/how-to-merge-partitions-to-extend-c-partition-merge-partitions-to-extend-c-drive/
Relevancy 30.96%

I know there is a sticky for this and I have read it and did most of what it says to do. I am doing this on my girlfriends computer since she has SP1, which I was unaware of until last night. I put Ad-Aware on her computer, scanned it for that TV file and it was clean. Scanned it with the Ad-Aware, AVG Anti-Spyware, and AVG Antivirus and deleted everything it found. I downloaded that patch at the end of the thread and am now scanning it with the trendmicro housecall online scanner which will prob take all day on her computer!!

Now, when that is completed I should be good to go with the SP2 update??

A:switching from XP SP1 to SP2

Just to be on the safe side, you might also run:

Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer = http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...2/default.mspx + http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/912840.mspx

Windows Live OneCare safety scanner is a service designed to help ensure the health of your PC. . Check for and remove viruses, Get rid of junk on your hard disk Improve your PC's performance =
FREE 90 day trial = http://safety.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm

If you want to manually run the tool on your computer, you can download a copy from the Microsoft Download Center or run an online version from microsoft.com. The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool = http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890830 + download the tool here = http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx

SUPERAntiSpyware = http://www.superantispyware.com/index.html + http://www.superantispyware.com +

Spybot-S&D = safer-networking.org = http://www.safer-networking.org = Be sure to use the immunize feature, and as with everything else, keep it updated.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/switching-from-xp-sp1-to-sp2-146768.html
Relevancy 30.96%

So as the title suggests I am prepping my Windows 7 box to be switched from 32bit to 64bit. I know the main draw is that 64bit recobnizes more memory but aside from that are there any benefits from switching?

Secondly....I made a complete hard drive image of my primary hard drive with all of my apps installed....Can this be used after I install the 64bit version of my OS or am I reinstalling everything?

Thanks

A:Switching From 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS

Quote:
Secondly....I made a complete hard drive image of my primary hard drive with all of my apps installed....Can this be used after I install the 64bit version of my OS or am I reinstalling everything?

You will have to install all applications. All except for the so called "portable" applications (usually quite small) and you probably don't have many of those.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/334654-switching-32-bit-os-64-bit-os.html
Relevancy 30.96%

For some reason, I have to repeat the turn off computer action twice before my pc will turn offf. i.e. start, turn off computer - and it does nothing until I repeat process. Any ideas?

A:switching off XP

It's waiting for a process or an application to close.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switching-off-xp.812535/
Relevancy 30.96%

OK for the first time since the early Win XP x64, I'm thinking about switching to a 64bit windows version.
Got a lot of questions though. I've been using 64bit OSs other the Windows and they all seem to have various problems with drivers and most of all running 32bit programs.
How does it all look on Windows? i.e. i'm using Adobe Master collection cs4 and am wondering if it will work with windows x64... what about antiviruses, Flash etc?

Ps. Is anyone using the x64 on acer aspire 69xx series? If everything running OK?

OK, could somebody apart from anserwing my concerns PM me with a link to the latest x64 Windows 7 build + Office 2010 x64? (and please no chinese versions ) English only

A:Switching to x64!

oh and what about codecs and stuff? itunes,

and almost forgot about the most important; DAEMON tools

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/16831-switching-x64.html
Relevancy 30.96%

Hi.

I need some help switching from Windows XP to another operating system without any professional help. If there are any guides or something it would be a big help if someone could point me to one.

Also I haven't decided which OS to switch to yet so any suggestions are appreciated and will definatley be considered. I use my computer mostly for downloading (pirating ) music and looking things up on the internet. Not much more than that.

In case anybody is wondering why I want to switch it's because I don't trust Microsoft's products after some things that I've heard about them. I don't believe I can trust them with my privacy anymore.

Thanks.

A:Switching my OS

Running P2P software is a far bigger threat to your system then Microsoft will ever be.
Try linux http://www.linux.org/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/switching-my-os-80565.html
Relevancy 30.96%

had to switch pc off and didnt close down as normal ie via start menu am now getting two choices either f2 or f11 how do i start windows xp as previous ? many thanks in advance for any help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/f2-and-f11-on-switching-on.799155/
Relevancy 30.96%

Hello; First time poster here,I upgraded to Windows 7 home 32 bit from xp and would like to install 64 bit. Can it be overwritten without losing programs or will I have to start from scratch like when I installed over xp? I realise drivers will have to be updated to 64 bit versions but can that be done later?

A:Switching from 32 to 64 bit

You will have to start over I'm afraid.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/38853-switching-32-64-bit.html
Relevancy 30.96%

crashing -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have been having problems with Switching off my computer crashing and switching itself off when I am running my Nortan Internet Security full system scan It gets to about files scanned then it crashes and switches off It has happened at other times today when Norton Scan has not been running as well I sent Switching off the error report and Switching off it came back with what is written below Can someone please tell me what to do Problem caused by Device Driver You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly This type of error is referred to as a quot stop error quot A stop error requires you to restart your computer More information Problem report summary Problem type Windows stop error a message appears on a blue screen with error code information Solution available No What does this problem mean Windows has encountered a problem it cannot recover from and it needs to be restarted Cause Unknown Computer symptoms A message appears on a blue screen with error code information for example x E KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED Additional steps for you to take Please continue to send problem reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible nbsp

Relevancy 30.96%

Hey guys,My u41-70 laptop is not switching on.The battery indicator also not working of its plugged into power source. I hear that we need to do a 'battery reset' in a service centre. Is that the option we have?Would it be a recurring issue?Anything I can do to get it running alright? Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.Vishnu

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-U-and-S-Series-Notebooks/U41-70-not-switching-on/td-p/3353116
Relevancy 30.96%

Hello,

Presently have my desktop pc connected via an ethernet cable to my house Router.
The Router talks to my Comcast box.

If I get an additional PC for my kid, due to space limitations, they would both be located pretty close
to each other.
We can share a single Monitor between us by just using one of those HDMI switches, but would rather
not switch physically the Ethernet cable.

Could a new PC connect to the Internet wirelessly via the Router, while leaving the original
PC connected via the Ethernet cable ?

Good way or doing it, poor approach ? Caveats, etc. ?
Better approach ?

Thanks,
Bob

A:Switching between Two PC's ?

1 pc wired and 1 pc wifi is fine, ditto 2 wired. Usually wired is faster than wifi. As for monitor sharing, depending on your pc outputs and monitor inputs, it might be possible to have the 2 pc's connected, and switch using a button on the monitor ie select input.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/385300-switching-between-two-pcs.html
Relevancy 30.96%

Hi all hope someone can help as this is baffling me The main problem is XP keeps switching off pc no error warning is given or on restart There does not seem to be any consitant reason for off switching Keeps XP this it appears to be a random action I have tried everything i know to cure it Drivers are upto date anti viruse trojan scanned for everything is clean as far as i can tell Window XP Keeps switching off uptodate etc etc I can not boot to safe mode or into the bios just get a XP Keeps switching off blank screen Below is the hijack log Hope some can help Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C Program Files ESET ESET NOD Antivirus ekrn exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXE C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files ahead InCD InCD exe C Program Files Belkin F D v Belkinwcui exe C Program Files ESET ESET NOD Antivirus egui exe C WINDOWS system RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS SOUNDMAN EXE C WINDOWS ZSSnp exe C WINDOWS Domino exe C Program Files LogMeIn x LogMeInSystray exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Windows Live Messenger MsnMsgr Exe C Program Files LogMeIn x LMIGuardian exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgrsx exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgemc exe C Program Files Windows Live Messenger usnsvc exe C Program Files LogMeIn x LogMeIn exe C Program Files LogMeIn x LMIGuardian exe C Program Files LogMeIn x RaMaint exe C Program Files LogMeIn x LogMeIn exe C Program Files LogMeIn x LMIGuardian exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http search imesh com sidebar html src ssb R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www google co uk R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO WormRadar com IESiteBlocker NavFilter - CA F - F E- B -A E- E E C C - C Program Files AVG AVG avgssie dll O - BHO UrlHelper Class - C -AB - d -A D - E D E - C Program Files iMesh Applications iMesh MediaBar iMeshIEHelper dll O - BHO Click-to-Call BHO - C C A-E - b - D - CECB - C Program Files Windows Live Messenger wlchtc dll O - BHO Search Helper - EBF - F- bff-A F-B E AAC B - no file O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - BHO Windows Live Toolbar Beta - E A DC - - A - EA-DC EC ACF - C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar wltcore dll O - Toolbar amp Windows Live Toolbar Beta - FA EF- D- D - B F- A D - C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar wltcore dll O - HKLM Run InCD C Program Files ahead InCD InCD exe O - HKLM Run NeroCheck C WINDOWS system NeroCheck exe O - HKLM Run F D v C Program Files Belkin F D v Belkinwcui exe O - HKLM Run egui quot C Program Files ESET ESET... Read more

A:XP Keeps switching off

It could be a hardware problem, but we should start here:

Right-click My Computer and click on Properties.
Click the Advanced tab and in the 'Startup and Recovery' section click Settings.
In the 'System Failure' section check these boxes:
'Write an event to the system log'.
'Send an Administrative alert'.
Uncheck the 'Automatically restart' box.

Go to Start => Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" {without the quotes}

Look under Applications and System for any Errors (with the red cross icon) at about the time of the failure. Double-click on these for more information and a hyperlink (in blue) to a possible solution from Microsoft's database. These error messages often don't help much, but can sometimes give us a clue. The more essential information is the EventID, the faulting module, file or process, the Error Code from the blue screen. If you're still not sure, click the double-page notepad-type icon which copies the error information to the clipboard. Paste into Notepad and/or into your next post. If there are many Errors, collect them into one Notepad .txt file and attach it to your next post.

==========================

Create a minidump crash log

Right-click My Computer and click on Properties.
Click the Advanced tab and in the 'Startup and Recovery' section click Settings.
In the 'System Failure' section check these boxes:
'Write an event to the system log'.
'Send an Administrative alert'.
Uncheck the 'Automatically restart' box.

In the 'Write debugging information' section, select 'Small memory dump (64KB)'.

The next time you experience a crash, the computer will blue screen, an event will be written to the Event Viewer, and a minidump file will be created.
The minidump file(s) are located in C:\Windows\minidump. They are dated - month-day-year. You can attach this folder to your next post. If possible, zip it first.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-keeps-switching-off.762060/
Relevancy 30.96%

So I am switching to Verizon DSL And i am happy as hell.But I have some concerns with playing my Playstaton2 online. I found out I need a Rj-45 ethernet network connector if i want to hook it into my dsl connectionhttp://www.us.playstation.com/support.aspx...or/D008697.htmlbut would I want to do that? I thought I had to hook it into my router. Or somthing. Do any of you guys play your Playstation2 online with verizon dsl? How do you do it?

A:SWITCHING TO DSL

Hook up the Sony Network adapter to your PS2, plug the cable into your router, and fire it up.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/1340/switching-to-dsl/
Relevancy 30.96%

I am currently running 98se and would like someone tell me; step by step, how to change over to XP.

How to save and backup and install properly...

thanks.

A:Switching to XP

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/gettingstarted/guide/default.asp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switching-to-xp.167099/
Relevancy 30.96%

suppose If two os'es are installed on different partitions on same computer, is it possible to switch between os'es without rebooting the computer?

A:switching os'es

No.

OS is loaded only at boot time, with all drivers for that OS.
Unloading an OS and drivers, and reloading an OS and drivers is called ... booting.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switching-oses.246904/
Relevancy 30.96%

Has anyone here had any success in switching mobo's over from VIA to NF2 without having to re-format and re-install the OS? Seems like a lot of extra crap to go through to change mobo's.
Seems like there would be some way to delete or clean out all the VIA drivers?? Mike

A:switching from VIA to NF2

changing motherboards is nearly always call for a reformat seeing as just about everything (IDE, AGP, System, USB etc) drivers are replaced. You might be able to unistall the VIA drivers but other than that a reformat is best for speed and stabilty.
Hope that helps

Steg

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switching-from-via-to-nf2.7340/
Relevancy 30.96%

I bought a Z50-75 a few months ago. Occasionally it switches itself off without any warning at all. Sometimes this happens a couple of minutes after switching on, sometimes after 30 mins, most times it doesn't happen. I don't move the laptop around much so I don't think it is a problem with overheating (else why is there such a variance in behaviour ?) Does anyone have any idea why this is happening ? Thanks.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Z50-75-switching-itself-off/td-p/3380561
Relevancy 30.96%

I have Windows 7 64 bit but I am currently running on 32 bit mode. How do I switch it to 64 bit mode?

A:Switching from 32 bit to 64 bit how?

Bring up the System control panel.

What does it report for your system type?

(There is no mode switch in Win7 X64. It can run most 32 bit applications, though.)

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/78629-switching-32-bit-64-bit-how.html
Relevancy 30.96%

PC self build running fine for - years Started switching off powering right down and back up not during any particular application and no pattern Switches right off and can restart by jogging the case Below I have outlined my fault finding Very intermittent Changed PSU Changed case as thought switch might be faulty In process above reset all hardware All fans working and clean Run with side off Monitored temps and think ok Stressed PC running AquaMark at same time as CPU stess test cant recreate crash and temps go high but still no prob Run Memtest and no prob found After days of no probs tonight on boot up it went straight to bios settings making beeping noise repeating continously On screen it gave message that the CPU clock speed had been reset previously it hadnt and causing error It then crashed Would only restart by a quot tapping quot the top of the case My thoughts Doesnt look like a temp prob Not PSU Feels like a connection issue Or could it be faulty mobo it is ageing or CPU on way out Any ideas greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 30.96%

my pc is just suddenly switching off just like that and i suspect it could be a virus.but now the problem is if i when to run an antivirus it switches off before the scan is complete.any idea how i can remove the virus that is if it is a virus.

Relevancy 30.96%

I have a dual GPU one is Intel(R) HD 5500 and the other one is nVidia GeForce 840M. I'm trying to play games but it always fail cause it always uses the Intel one. I want to permanently change to nVidia. How do i fix this ? Thx

A:Switching GPU ?

Hi, Please try (a) Right click a blank space on desktop,(b) Open Nvidia Control Panel,(c) Open Get PhysX Configuration,(d) Select Nividia card,(e) Click Apply Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Switching-GPU/td-p/5615593
Relevancy 30.96%

when v press the power button of a system for some seconds it shuts down. but is this way good for the system?

i have tried several times but did not check for errors in the drive when i started the system again

so can i go ahead , switching off the sys. using the above method?

plz help!

Relevancy 30.96%

Hi there I just recently purchased some bits to build a new computer and I m having a bit of a problem It keeps on just powering off randomly though I have disconnected and reconnected every bit on the M b without any luck Even if I take it into the Bios or boot off of a cd after a few minutes it will just switch off There doesn t seem to be any constant variable to causing it to switch off and even the amount of time it stays switched on seems a little random I have gone into Bios H W monitor and the CPU doesn t go above degrees F I have tried disconnecting almost all switching Pc itself on keeps off the power connectors apart from the M B CPU and Graphics card connectors and still it switchs off so I know it s not a lack of power The light on the M B also stays constantly on throughout all of this The only thing I can think it might be is either the PSU or the M B itself Anyone got any ideas I can try Here is what I have W EarthWatts PSU ASUS P KC AiLifestyle Series iP Socket channel audio ATX Motherboard Intel Core Duo E GHz FSB Socket Pc keeps on switching itself off MB Corsair GB Kit x GB DDR MHz PC - Point Of View GT MB GDDR bit nbsp

Relevancy 30.96%

I have a shoddy stock 40gb Maxtor Hard Drive and i want to replace it with my Samsung 400gb Hard Drive. How can i copy all the files (system files and everything) from the 40gb hdd to my 400gb hdd. So my computer starts up and runs fine with just the 400gb hard drive plugged in, help appreciated.

A:Switching HDD's

You'll need to clone the 40 to the 400. Seagate (and maybe samsung) have a utility that can do that for you. Or you could use Norton Ghost or Acronis TrueImage or something like that, but those cost money.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switching-hdds.81234/
Relevancy 30.96%

So, I upgraded a friends computer to Windows XP Professional since he had Windows 2000 on there. I don't think it was such a good idea with me doing that since he only has 256 MB of RAM and the power is like 2 GHz which is okay I guess. But, would it be a good idea to add my old 512 MB of RAM from my old computer to his computer? I tried doing this before to my sister's computer, but the computer completely stopped functioning and smelled like it was burning. I'm not sure if I should go ahead and give it a shot or not. Should I go for it?

Relevancy 30.96%

Hello there

My computer has started to randomly reboot itself with a message "your computer has recovered from a serious error"appearing.It also has started to freeze quite alot and will only work when manually rebooted.

Anyone got any advice please

A:Switching itself off

Hi scarisbrick, welcome to TSF..

Before the problem started, did you install any new software or hardware?

It would also be a good idea to find out your system temperatures and voltage readings as that would help diagnose any possible heat or PSU issues. You can do this with freeware programs such as SpeedFan or SensorsView (both can be found easily via Google).

Do you hear any weird 'clicking' sounds coming from inside the box? Also, when booting do you hear any beeps?

Finally, if you go into your Event Log, you should be able to get more information on the stop errors as that would probably point us in the right direction to finding out whats causing the problems. To access your Event Log, click Start -> Run -> type: eventvwr.msc -> Click OK. Expand the System section and post back on errors which are logged at the same time as the freezes or reboots.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/switching-itself-off-252354.html
Relevancy 30.96%

Hello,

Presently have my desktop pc connected via an ethernet cable to my house Router.
The Router talks to my Comcast box.

If I get an additional PC for my kid, due to space limitations, they would both be located pretty close
to each other.
We can share a single Monitor between us by just using one of those HDMI switches, but would rather
not switch physically the Ethernet cable.

Could a new PC connect to the Internet wirelessly via the Router, while leaving the original
PC connected via the Ethernet cable ?

Good way or doing it, poor approach ? Caveats, etc. ?
Better approach ?

Thanks,
Bob

A:Switching between Two PC's ?

1 pc wired and 1 pc wifi is fine, ditto 2 wired. Usually wired is faster than wifi. As for monitor sharing, depending on your pc outputs and monitor inputs, it might be possible to have the 2 pc's connected, and switch using a button on the monitor ie select input.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/385300-switching-between-two-pcs.html
Relevancy 30.96%

Hello,
I'm currently running Windows Vista and XP in dual boot on separate hard drives. It's really annoying to have to restart my PC and fart around with the bios settings to boot from the hard drive (OS) I want.

Striker Extreme
Intel Q6600 Duo Quad
8800 Ultra
4GB RAM

My first question: Is there any way I can choose which hard drive/operating system I want to boot up from a windows splash screen?

Secondly: In an ideal world I want to be able to switch between operating systems (Vista/XP per example) whilst in one or the others explore screen (desktop). I have researched programs like VirtualPC but would like to know if there is there another way of doing this without forking out for the software?

Thanks in advance

A:OS Switching

The only way you can switch between OS in windows is how you already mentioned virtually.
To dual boot it is better if both the OS's are on the same drive in separate partitions.
This way through a boot loader the default will OS will load unless you choose a different OS at startup
Another way is two pc's and switch between using a kvm switch, which is what I use here also good for backup

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/os-switching.626188/
Relevancy 30.96%

How difficult is it to get all one's files from Microsoft to Mac?

A:Switching to Mac

If you have an external hard drive, you should just copy all of the files on there. Then when you plug it into your Mac, it should be easy to copy the files onto the Mac.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/150290-switching-mac.html
Relevancy 30.96%

I've always hated IE and loved Firefox, but Firefox seems to be going downhill on the stability side. Mine crashes all the time, even without extensions or anything. IE8 is performing very very well for me on Windows 7. I hate to say this, but I think Firefox is dying.

A:Switching to IE

have had firefox do that to me before -- a complete uninstall (wiping all user files) then reinstall recovered it -- bookmarks/passwords etc all backed up so nothing lost ..... never thought of going back to IE, never had to.
First browser I used much was netscape whose code firefox is based on ... didn't think much of IE when it came along with Win95 ... nothing much changes there

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/124140-switching-ie.html
Relevancy 30.96%

I've had enough of "getting used to" Win 8. I am going to instal Win 7 and get 8 off my laptop. The question is whether to go with Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit (OEM) System Builder DVD 1 Pack (Software) or Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (OEM) System Builder DVD 1 Pack.
I am not a builder, just an end user. I have read where someone had trouble when he installed 7 over 8 but used the home edition and when he changed out the hard disc it wouldn't let him reinstall 7. I don't mind paying the extra if its needed but I do not want a lot of extra gear meant for system builders.
Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks....

A:Switching over from Win 8 to Win 7

Hiya pal and welcome to the forums ...

OEM is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale.

Quote:
Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings.

But here's the comparison between the different versions

Compare Windows 7 Editions

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/285099-switching-over-win-8-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 30.96%

Ok, so my birthday is comming up and I was thinking of upgrading my RAM in my laptop. It currently has 2GB and I want to upgrade it to 5GB. I know I will need to have 64 Bit Windows 7 to take advantage of all that RAM. Will it be possible to reinstall Windows only using the 64 Bit version and use the Key that I got with my laptop? I heard that it is interchangable as long as you don't switch versions (like from Home Premium to Ultimate) and don't switch computers.

A:Switching to 64 Bit?

Hello there.

The easiest way to go would be to upgrade to 4GB or 6GB, but 5GB? it's kind of senseless (no offense, senseless in a "weird" way) because you'd have to buy a 2GB module and a 1GB one..

BTW, try to find the same RAM vendor/model and timings, mixing RAMs is not a good idea

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/145689-switching-64-bit.html
Relevancy 30.96%

Yes, I had a spare Hard Drive laying around, and I'm considering installing windows 7 on it. However, it will void my warranty if it ends up screwing up. However, the only problems with the damn thing are Hard Drive crashes. Dell is sending me a new hard drive tomorrow to replace the crashed one.

So, I was wondering, would I be able to switch out hard drives easily in case the one that might have W7 on it crashes (without having to deal with DELL so they won't find out)

Thank you,

TannerB

Relevancy 30.96%

Hello,

That topic has been subject of several painful headaches for me. I have tried searching the forum but can't seem to find the answer.

I am currently running Vista 32 And would like to switch to 64. My system is 64 compatible And i have 4 gig of ram.

1 : where do I get the software. I have a genuine 32 bits.

2 : how could i backup my whole system ?

3 : is there a free upgrade (or discount) for Windows 7

thank you !

A:Switching from 32 to 64 !

Unless you recently purchased your computer and have a coupon to upgrade to Win 7, you're gonna have to buy the OS.

Backup info:

Windows Vista: A Guide to Windows Vista Backup Technologies

Purchasing info:

you can purchase with educational pricing if you qualify.

Otherwise, you can purchase from vendors such as www.tigerdirect.com

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/251715-switching-32-64-a.html
Relevancy 30.96%

I've been using a intel cam in my usb port, and just tried out another dig camera on my serial port. when i took the serial port one away the usb port one wouldn't work anymore.
I've tried unplugging it and replugging it and rebooting but still no cam. can anyone help me on this. do i need to re-install everything or something.

A:vid cam switching

Your video software is probably looking for the camera on the serial port now.

If it has configuration settings somewhere, you may be able to tell it that the camera is USB, not serial.

If not, you will have to reinstall the software.

------------------
Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
LarryCore begs for money

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vid-cam-switching.34781/
Relevancy 30.96%

Hi, I have an Inspiron 5555, and I'm thinking about changing my Hard drive to an ssd. does anyone have any suggestions, and how would this affect my Dell warranty?
Thanks

A:switching to an SSD

As long as you do not break any of the Dell shipped hardware when adding any 3rd party hardware, the warranty is still good. But if you were to crack the case cover or damage the motherboard pins while doing this, we would not cover them.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19996195
Relevancy 30.96%

I have a Vista 64bit ultimate japanes version!! Anyone can suggest how to switch from japanese version to international version??? Pls!!!help

A:Switching

You can install a language transformation pack...(MUI)

This link is for x64 without Service Pack 1:
Windows Vista MUI Language Packs (for x86 and x64) Direct Download Link ? My Digital Life

This is for x64 with SP1:
64-bit Windows Vista SP1 MUI Language Packs Direct Download Links ? Tip and Trick

Note: These downloads are legitimate, they come from Windows Update.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/202799-switching.html
Relevancy 30.96%

I'm considering swtiching from Win XP Pro to Win 7.

'm running a Dual boot pc, both with Win XP Pro. If I install Win7, will I be able to load Win 7 on both HDs so i can still dual boot?

What if i have to reformat my HD, will I need to buy another license? I never had any problems with my Win XP license.

A:Before switching over to win 7

To install Win 7 twice you'd need two licenses for Win 7, same as you should have two licenses for XP to dual boot. If you only have one XP license, you are violating the EULA.
If you only have one XP license, you would need an upgrade version of Win 7, and a Full version of Win 7 to dual boot. If you want to dual boot XP and Win 7, you'd need the Full version of Win 7. If you get an upgrade version, you can no longer use the version of Windows that you upgraded, until you uninstall Win 7.

Reformating does not require a new license. If you are using an upgrade version, you can't just show it the old CD during the install as you could with version proir to Vista. MS says you would have to first install XP, then upgrade again, but there are ways around that.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/before-switching-over-to-win-7.933524/
Relevancy 30.96%

Soon I will Switching over fo\rom Win 2000 to XP Pro. I have a home network and use a broadband connection. As XP is Different than W2000, I would like some advice as to how to setup the XP pro account and security settings for broadband... Should I use a password to log on the computer..ect.

A:Switching over to XP Pro

I use XP Pro and have Broadband through AOL, using the McAfee firewall so when I downloaded the latest version of SP2, it's firewall deferred to McAfee and everything went smoothly. My wife and I have separate logins but neither needs a password so we don't even get a Welcome Screen any more. To do that, I went from Start>Run and typed in control userpasswords2 and then hit Enter. Untick the "Users must enter etc" box in the Users tab and then set each account name and password for the system to remember.

As for your Broadband connection, you can connect with or without your browser client by setting up an old style dial-up connection but how you do this will depend on your MODEM or router.

While you have the opportunity to start afresh with XP Pro, I suggest you create a slipstream version of the OS with the SP2 and burn it on to a CD ready to install complete. Try to restrict the number of programmes that set themselves to auto start to save having to tinker with msconfig and wind up with a Selective startup. For the first time in four years with XP, I'm now on a normal startuip and boot from on-switch to dektop is 29 seconds. Selective will always take longer and has the potential to cause problems

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switching-over-to-xp-pro.275768/
Relevancy 30.96%

At the current time, the only programming language I know is VB, and I want to expand into C/C++. The problem I have is that the way I taught myself VB was primarally through programming games, and C(++) lacks the built-in support for graphics. This makes it hard to work up motavation to learn C or do anything with it.

The question is: where would I need to look to get the ability to create non-console/graphical programs in C/C++?

Whatever the solution, it needs to work in Windows.

A:switching to C

Evilmrhenry,

If memory serves me correctly, (I haven't checked out the site in months) you may find a "freebie" download using the link below. I dug this one out of mothballs. I have a footnote with it "write graphical programs using C++". I hope it solves your problem if you haven't found something already.

http://linux.tucows.com/system/toolkits_license.html

Have a great day!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switching-to-c.73327/
Relevancy 30.96%

We live in the UK and are switching from BT to Tiscali.

This is really frustrating, and can someone please remind me of what actually happens when you connect to broadband for the first time? I keep reading about activating it with a "username and password given to you (or selected by you) from the ISP"....

But, with my current BT account, I could buy a completely new router, or reset my current router back to factory settings and/or even bring 2 different computers into the house, and I would never have to enter this password. So it's only on the initial first connection? Where do I go or what do I do with windows or linux to get to the screen which prompts me for this mysterious username and password?

A:Switching ISP

Depends on the broadband. Normally, cable does not require a login, but ADSL does. Most folks place a router between the modem and the network. That way, you only have to put the username/password in the router and never have to worry about it again.

As a boogy bonus, you don't have to install anything on the computers on the network.

Courtney

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switching-isp.768372/
Relevancy 30.96%

Hey. in the past week. my computer has taken it upon itself to randomly switch itself off... and not in a shutting down kinda way. it just looses power and everything goes black... its a real pain, and its starting to make the system unusable.
These powerdowns are most frequent during games, however, they also occur during web browsing and listening to winamp.

i reckon its the powersupply, but theres a little twinge in me that says... maybe its not.

ive got a:
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
EPOX 8RDA3+
512MB DDR ram
Nvidia GeForce FX 5600 - 256MB
SB AUDIGY 2

anything else you need to be of help?

Relevancy 30.96%

How damaging can this be to a system? If your last resot comes to switching your PSU off w/o shutting the system down.

I can count how many times I did it too :/ well over 5 times already.

Relevancy 30.96%

I am trying to switch a Dell computer from Windows NT4 to Windows 95. I'm not sure where to begin...but I've heard that I need to start in DOS mode. I don't seem to have that option in the restart menu of NT4. I was given this computer and don't have any start up disks or cd's ...looks kind of hopeless. Any help given would be very much appreciated!

Relevancy 30.96%

First of all, I want to sell my Windows computer and buy a new computer, possibly a mac. How much is my windows pc worth? And seeing as I am a lifetime windows user, is switching a good idea?

Specs:

HP Pavillion a305w

2.8 Ghz Celeron Processor
6 usb, parallel, PS2, etc
40GB hard drive
CD-RW Drive
DVD-Rom Drive
64mb nVidia video card
Belkin 802.11b/g wireless card
Floppy Drive.

Comes with standard keyboard and mouse, and depending on my new computer it may come with a Samsung Syncmaster 730b 17" flat panel. .

thanks for anyone who can help

A:Switching from XP?

id say its worth betwen ?170 and ?250 depending on where you sell it and whther you include monitor, operating system etc.

also switchin to macintosh is not that bad, it takes a bit of time to get used to the layout but its quite easy to use, although baring in mind some programs on windows arent available on macintosh and although most arem, they are not as up to date as windows version would be.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/switching-from-xp-88608.html
Relevancy 30.96%

Hey techspot Omg it s been like a year since I last posted xD Ok so here s the deal I m moving hard drives and swapping out motherboards and I want to transfer the files from this hard drive to the next the data not the O S I was just wondering if it s possible to install the new HDD and then plug in the old HDD w o messing up with the boot file so that I can transfer files w o having to use a third-party s removable hard drive due to the fact that the current hard drive has a boot file too durr F so I didn t know if they could conflict with each other I didn t know if you knew a HDD could do that same or over HDD's Switching if there would be boot conflics note that the new Switching over HDD's HDD is SATA and the old is IDE If you can t tell I suck at hardware xD Give me some software to code and I can do it talk to me about boot files and hard drive configurations and I blank out xD Anyway thanks for any answers guys Sorry I ve been away soo long xD I feel so stupid for asking this since I m pretty sure that if you set the BIOS to boot from HDD it will only boot from that HDD but knowing my luck I thought I d get an exact answer from someone nbsp

A:Switching over HDD's

I recommend doing it the way that you want to

I can't tell you how many thousands of times I have plugged another HardDrive in internally, then backed up, without issue. (as long as not set to boot from the secondary harddrive )

It is possible that Windows (not the boot part though) may assign different drive letters to your CD\DVD drive or new HardDrive
This is normal
When the HardDrive is later removed
And Windows starts up again (with the original HardDrive)
Any drive letter change will return to as it was before

Note: C: will not change drive letters (but external USB drives may <- eg just for the sake of the argument)

Go for it :grinthumb

Warning: replying will make your posts 4 And therefore becoming a recent member again (old post status gone!)

Please reply if this post was helpful

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switching-over-hdds.116593/
Relevancy 30.96%

was on wp for many yrs but earlier this yr the wife & I decided to buy ourselves the new galaxy phones on android. main reason is the apps. her friends had different apps then her & I was missing my sports apps & some music ones that I wanted. overall have been very unhappy with the android system & WOULD LOVE to switch back. ? is, has anything changed? amazon music, bleacher report & a good working Instagram & fb app is enough to bring me back but is it worth the money about to be spent. any help would be appreciated. thanx in advance

A:os switching

When was the last time you tried it out? There has been a number of changes. No Amazon Music though, and I don't know about Bleacher Report to answer that. Instagram is great on Windows 10 Mobile and is actually updated decently. I don't use Facebook to tell you how that is.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/441032-os-switching.html
Relevancy 30.96%

Not quite sure where to post this and not sure that I even really want the answer. I'm assuming that it's hardware related but may be wrong.

This has happened twice now. Once a month or so ago and just now again.

I was working with a few windows open and a couple of apps, can't remember exactly but probably word, photoshop elements, IE, Outlook...

Without any warning, screen goes black and machine goes into reboot.

Now this has happened a second time I am concerned.

Does this description give anyone any ideas as to what the cause might be?

A:PC switching off....?

Hi.

Sounds like it could be to do with heat. If i remember rightly, it was hot about a month ago and today is hot as well.

Download this program and check out the temperature of the processor and post back with the readout and the spec of your pc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-switching-off.372470/
Relevancy 30.96%

I was wondering if anyone knows how to move Windows 7 license from one PC to another. I originally installed it on my desktop to try it out but I want to move it to my laptop.

A:Switching PC's

Either change the license key of Windows 7 on your desktop, or format the drive so that it's no longer in use (it is against the EULA to use the same license on multiple machines at once). If you ran out of activations you will need to call up Microsoft and explain the situation.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/25236-switching-pcs.html
Relevancy 30.96%

At the beginning of last year I put together a new box with a 1.5 T WD cav. blk. Installed W7 and was up and running. Because of family matters I never got to use it very much. during that time I purchased an OCZ Agility 4. Decided to replace the WD with the OCZ. Thought it would be a snap! disconnected the WD and connected the OCZ. Put the W7 disc in and the first thing it asked for was a driver? Boy was I surprised! After reading the post on drivers I now know I will have to go to OCZ for drivers. My question is I remember reading about a way you could transfer your operating system from your HDD to a SSD. Is there any one out there that could give me some info on this? It sure would help not to have to start from scratch. Thank you for any help or info!

A:switching from HDD to SSD

You can clone your HDD to the SSD with Acronis TrueCopy from OCZ website:
http://ocz.com/consumer/download/acronis-true-image-hd-software

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switching-from-hdd-to-ssd.1104737/
Relevancy 30.96%

My Packard PC came with Win 7 pre-installed. I'd like to get rid of Win 7 and install XP. If you know the procedure, would you help.
Cheers

Relevancy 30.96%

Alright, i downloaded Vista RC1 back in August, and have been using it ever since and have loved it. When I installed Vista, i know that it made a folder in order to put all of my XP files so i could reach them again, and I assumed that meant I could get onto XP whenever i wanted through MS DOS. I'm trying to load some music onto my cell, and the way it is set up, it requires XP since Vista deleted the loophole it used. Problem is, i cant figure out how to get into XP again. I remember there being something to do with pressing a certain button when the computer starts up, but i have no clue what button that is or when. Any help would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!!!!

A:Switching OSs

You cannot use xp again. At least not without wiping out the disk and reinstalling.
From your post it sounds like you installed vista to the same partition you had xp installed in. If you wanted to use both os, you needed to install vista into another partition. You would then be presented with a boot menu when you start the system [so as to choose which os you want]

BTW vista setup gives you a warning message to the effect that when you install to a partition that already contains an os it will put those files in a folder for you HOWEVER you will not be able to use the previous os. You have access to the files for data / backup purposes however the previous os will not function.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switching-oss.542841/
Relevancy 30.96%

HAd this problem a while and not been able to sort it. When i switch on the red power light comes on and goes out again, the fans do a couple of revs and nothing starts. The only way i can start the machine is to switch off the power completely and leave it for an hour. even then I have to nurse it to switch back on. It is always for same amount of time. any earlier and i just get the red light flash. I cannot do this again until i have waited for two very faint clicks which are presuamably the HDD shutting down

the power options are set the same as my wife's machine and i have looked (but maybe in wrong place) at the bios and can find nothing of any help there!

has anyone any suggestions
thanks.

Relevancy 30.53%

Recently my computer's been switching itself off as if the power's been cut AVG and off... Random switching AdAware aren't picking up anything I've managed to isolate instances that seem to trigger it Running Spybot It gets somewhere between and on the bot check and the computer cuts out AV-Gold was the last checkpoint I remember it hanging on Running Football Manager It wasn't doing it in the first place but recently I've gone back to playing it and every time I try the computer eventually switches off Here's my ComboScan Quote ComboScan v run by Owner on - - at Computer is in Normal Mode -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Successfully created restore point Performed disk cleanup -- HijackThis log run as Owner com -------------------------------------------- Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files TGTSoft StyleXP StyleXPService exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgamsvr exe C Random switching off... WINDOWS Explorer EXE C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgemc exe C WINDOWS system NTMETER EXE C Smdata ReadSctService exe C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMAgent exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files necmfk necmfk exe C WINDOWS AGRSMMSG exe C Program Files LiquidView lviewj exe C WINDOWS System hfsmop exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files MessengerPlus MsgPlus exe C WINDOWS system LVCOMSX EXE C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files Winamp winampa exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files PCGATE Personal pcgate exe C Program Files piputil exe C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe C Program Files SpywareGuard sgmain exe C Program Files Yahoo J Messenger ymsgr tray exe C WINDOWS system ZoneLabs vsmon exe C Program Files SpywareGuard sgbhp exe C WINDOWS system conime exe C HJT comboscan exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C DOCUME Owner LOCALS Temp zdddysk tmp Owner com O - BHO SpywareGuard Download Protection - A E - F- - B - B DDD DB - C Program Files SpywareGuard dlprotect dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO UberButton Class - BAB B B- BC- B - D - FC DE A - C Program Files Yahoo Common yiesrvc dll O - BHO YahooTaggedBM Class - D A - CA - B-BB - D EFB A - C Program Files Yahoo Common YIeTagBm dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - BHO Windows Live Toolbar Helper - BDBD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar msntb dll O - Toolbar no name - BA B -B - c -B - F F - no file O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - Toolbar Windows Live Toolbar - BDAD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar msntb dll O - HKLM Run IMJPMIG quot C WINDOWS IME imjp IMJPMIG EXE quot Spoil RemAdvDef Migration O - HKLM Run PHIME ASync C WINDOWS System IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE SYNC O - HKLM Run PHIME A C WINDOWS System IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE IMEName O - HKLM Run NECMFK C Program Files necmfk necmfk exe O - HKLM Run AGRSMMSG AGRSMMSG exe O - HKLM Run SHRunOnce C Program Files SmartHobby SHRunOnce exe O - HKLM Run StorageGuard quot C Program Files Common Files Sonic Update Manager sgtray exe quot r O - HKLM Run LiquidView C Program Files LiquidView lviewj exe O - HKLM Run SiSUSBRG C WINDOWS SiSUSBrg exe O - HKLM Run HFSMOP C WINDOWS System hfsmop exe O - HKLM Run MSPY C WINDOWS System IME PINT... Read more

A:Random switching off...

With the warning about ComboScan, and the inability for Panda Scan to get through the scan without the computer switching off, here's the HJT log. Was the analyzer discontinued?

I think it's got something to do with Football Manager 2006, but I have no idea what as this is a recent problem and I've had the game for a long while now.

Quote:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 19:50:50, on 2007/02/17
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16414)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXPService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NTMETER.EXE
C:\Smdata\ReadSctService.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\necmfk\necmfk.exe
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\LiquidView\lviewj.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hfsmop.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\MsgPlus.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Opera\Opera.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\PCGATE Personal\pcgate.exe
C:\Program Files\子画面設定ユーティリティ\piputil.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgbhp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: UberButton Class - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O2 - BHO: YahooTaggedBM Class - {65D886A2-7CA7-479B-BB95-14D1EFB7946A} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\YIeTagBm.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Toolbar Helper - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Windows Live Toolbar - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\System32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\System32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NECMFK] C:\Program Files\necmfk\necmfk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SHRunOnce] C:\Program Files\SmartHobby\SHRunOnce.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LiquidView] C:\Program Files\LiquidView\lviewj.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiSUSBRG] C:\WINDOWS\SiSUSBrg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HFSMOP] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hfsmop.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSPY2002] C:\... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/random-switching-off-140512.html
Relevancy 30.53%

I have a new computer arriving tomorrow, with a 500Gb hard drive and no OS.

I have a new 1TB drive, however, so I thought I would save time by installing Windows 7 on it today, together with a few programs, then just swop the drives when the new one arrives.

However, I've just realised that the motherboard, graphics, audio and ethernet drivers will almost certainly be wrong. Will my plan work - will I simply be able to install the new drivers when the machine turns up?

A:Switching drives with OS

Can you maybe but most likely no.
For sure you shouldn't.
The new computer with the new drive deserves a fresh Clean Install of Windows 7. Windows 7 will install most all drivers needed.

Doing what your thinking of would be nothing but a mess if it ever did boot.

Read through this tutorial.

By Brink:
Clean Install Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/340990-switching-drives-os.html
Relevancy 30.53%

Hi,

I've created a multiboot Live USB with several linux distros and emergency kits using YUMI. I want to try it on a Windows 8 laptop by disabling secure boot and changing to CMS boot. Do I get boot problems with Windows 8 when changing the boot option to UEFI boot again when I'm finished?

Thanks.

A:Switching between UEFI and CSM

No.  You shouldn't have any problems.  When I was on Windows 8.1, I used a multiboot USB many times and never had an issue.  And, in case you still have doubts, I created that bootable drive with YUMI too.

Also, in my own UEFI firmware, I have the option to set my Boot order to CSM but to boot UEFI first if a UEFI system is detected.  I always set my UEFI up this way.  Whenever I am booting normally from my internal hard drive (which has a UEFI system) it boots in UEFI mode.  Whenever I want to boot from the bootable drive I just hit F12 during startup to enter my Boot Options and choose the bootable drive.  No need to be dipping in your UEFI settings all the time.  BTW, your hot key to get into the Boot Options may be different from mines.

Last of all, I know it may be obvious, but you must turn Secure Boot off.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/604836/switching-between-uefi-and-csm/
Relevancy 30.53%

i dont like windows 7 as much as vista so i want to switch back to vista....i have a new alienware laptop that came with windows 7 already loaded onto it, i am just afraid if i switch back to vista it might ruin my laptop since thats the operating format it came with. do i have anything to worry about or will everything work fine if i switch to vista? i wouldn't be worried if it had vista loaded onto it before. sorry not very computer savvy...

also if i actually switch to vista will all my data be lost? thanks for your help

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/switching-systems-441138.html
Relevancy 30.53%

I'm looking at ordering an alienware m17x (back off, haters...), but it comes installed with vista and doesn't have an option to have it come with XP. Is there anyway I could get XP on there, and would I need to download special drivers, etc...?

A:Switching from XP to vista

you will have to purchase the full retail version of xp if you want to get rid of vista. You will also have to get with alienware and see if they have xp drivers available for your new system otherwise it will be a pain to find all the drivers you need.

one other thing, changing from vista to xp could void your warranty.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/switching-from-xp-to-vista-247781.html
Relevancy 30.53%

Hello people

This is a strange issue that im having since I bought my second monitor.

My computer is running fine while im using it and also often when I leave on stand by.

Every now and again I return to the PC to find it has been switched of.

Upon booting i get the windows encountered a problem screen.

When I get to the desktop I have a pop up which says there was an issue and had to shutdown.

I clicked trouble shoot but return no solution found.

This issue on came about when I bought my second monitor (Which is actually a TV)

Any ideas?

A:Random switching off

Hello Kie21,probably not malware,please run this..Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.Checkmark the following checkboxes:Flush DNSReport IE Proxy SettingsReset IE Proxy SettingsReport FF Proxy SettingsReset FF Proxy SettingsList content of HostsList IP configurationList Winsock EntriesList last 10 Event Viewer logList Installed ProgramsList Users, Partitions and Memory size.Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/561256/random-switching-off/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hi All Well I'm going to do a clean install from my Vista Ultimate bit down switching after format to the XP Pro bit The reason for this is purely for research I wish to examine the speed difference for both O S versions I really like Vista besides all the eye candy I have had some crashes while playing GRAW and Crysis Warhead Nothing to get ansty about but it could have simply been from switching after format my HD overheating eventhough it was early into the game We use XP pro at work switching after format and it's pretty good I'm really not into a system that has flashy features I really just want something tried tested and true and it doesn't have to be fancy just rock solid I feel that perhaps the XP might have this over Vista eventhough it's bit I also have an original XP Pro bit OS kicking around I might want to use that version so I can max out the RAM Any suggestions on this topic Thanks System Specs as requested below Asus P Q Premium Lian-Li PC B Plus Case Enermax Modu W PSU E Ghz O C to Ghz Asus V Aftermarket CPU Fan Coolermaster LED mm Case Fan Sapphire HD DDR XF-I Extreme Gamer LG quot Flatron LCD ms Merc Stealth Gaming Keyboard MX Gaming Mouse Vista Ultimate Bit LG Blue Ray HD DVD Combo WD Caviar Black Gb HDD Ghz OCZ Reaper HPC Memory Dual Channel Mhz O C to Mhz

A:switching after format

Hi. . .

Be sure you have all device drivers for XP x86.

My other thought on this is licensing issues. No problem if you own full retail copies of Vista Ultimate x64 and XP Pro. Otherwise you may run into problems w/ Microsoft Genuine Advantage Program voiding one or both.

Why XP Pro and not Vista x86?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/switching-after-format-318358.html
Relevancy 30.53%

Hi I have am planning to go on with Windows 7 RC Candidate from Microsoft and I would just like to know if it is ok with my system.

I have an ASUS P5N73-AM Motherboard - Which kind of worries me the most because my mobo said that it supports only XP 32-bit/64-bit and Vista 32-bit/64-bit. If I upgrade from Vista to 7 is it possible? Won't I have any problems or troubles in the future? Thanks in Advance..

BTW:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz
RAM: 2 GB
Graphics Card: Nvidia GT 9500

A:Switching to windows 7

Well i wouldn't be expecting Windows 7 to solve all of your future problems. It will be an improvement over Vista that is for sure. I would look at the manufacturer's website for the different devices and see if they have Windows 7 drivers yet.

I didn't have any hardware problems, and actually i don't know anybody who is using it that has.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/switching-to-windows-7-a-388564.html
Relevancy 30.53%

Hi Folks

Is there a way in which one can switch between tabs in the same Internet Explorer window using just a keyboard ?

If there is a way, that would be very convenient.

Looking basically for a feature similar to 'Alt + Tab' which allows us to switch between windows

A:Switching between tabs in IE

Hello and welcome to the forum,

There a few different ways of doing it:
You can press Ctrl + Tab this will take you to the next tab or press Ctrl + <number> this will take you to the page going by the tab no. Lets say for example in your browser window you have the following tabs open:

Tab 1:: Google
Tab 2:: Facebook
Tab 3:: Ebay

To open Ebay you would press Ctrl + 3 etc.

Hope that helps.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/switching-between-tabs-in-ie-568698.html
Relevancy 30.53%

I bought my son a Toshiba Satellite in May 2009. We have not been able to play some of his games, example Pajama Sam or Jimmy Neutron (he is 9). Always give the error message-- Unspported 16-Bit Application ---The program or feature "\??\D:pajama2.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibity with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit compatible version is available.So, the question is, How can I switch to 32 bit so he can play games. This was the sole purpose of buying him a computer. Also, I got in the mail today my Windows 7 for our other laptop, Can that be used on both computers or maybe just my sons. And if I put it on my son's computer, will it still have the 64 bit problem?????Thanks.Beth

A:Switching Vista 64 bit to 32 bit

hi,,, to replace 64bit with 32bit, you will need a 32bit vista disc,,,, and then clean install the OS (vista 32bit) using the product key on the bottom of the laptop,,,,
is the win 7 disc 32bit ??? it can be clean installed in the Toshiba Satellite but using the product key on the win 7 disc instead,,, then you might need to install some drivers for the Toshiba Satellite after clean install.
this disc's product key can only be used in 1 pc at any one time,,,, you can still use this disc to clean install win 7 on other pc's as long as you have other valid or new win 7 product keys,,,
hope this helps,,,
good luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273021/switching-vista-64-bit-to-32-bit/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hi,
Is there a way to get photos stored on an external HDD which was attached to a Mac laptop onto my windows XP machine? The Mac is dead and buried and I want to recover whatever I can from the external drive. My PC is not recognising the HDD at all. I don't know anyone with a Mac who will let me transfer the files onto a thumbdrive or disk so I need help.
Any ideas welcome. Thanks

A:switching files between Mac and Xp

Intel mac or ppc? The HFS file system changed around 10.3 I think.There are third party utilities available but most are not free. I use ubuntu live cd which automounts mac disks from my hackintosh, but may not automount OS9 and before or osx for ppc without some installs. It doesn't hurt to try it since the live cd will not write to your hard drive unless you specifically tell it to.link with some variations:http://jclark.org/weblog/2005/05/24/ubuntumount/third party:http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/http://www.asy.com/and the only free one I have found:http://hem.bredband.net/catacombae/hfsx.htmlI have not tried the free one or the other third party apps.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/307526/switching-files-between-mac-and-xp/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hi somehow my pc went to admin user and everything changed, when i try to switch user my old name is gone, when i try to create that name it says its there? when i went to sytem/ user profiles top one is admin and second is mine 2.1 gigs and admins is 1.54 mb/ is there a way to get back my settings or fix this thanks, windows xp pro i am running

A:switching user

It sound like there might be some profile corruption. I don't know how? You can try creating a new profile or try renaming your old profile.

Right click on my computer- manage - Local users and groups-

Click (next to File) Action - new user- and create a new user.

You can also rename the old profile name here too.

If this is what you need you could always try a system restore.

-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/231339/switching-user/
Relevancy 30.53%

I just recieved a new laptop with my job and I am looking for a tool that will let me switch domains without joining and disjoining evertime i visit one of my locations.

we all have differnent domain names and proxy settings

Thanks RC

A:switching domains

The domain admins will have to add trusted domains on their side.... As far as PC/Client side no there is no such tool.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switching-domains.405153/
Relevancy 30.53%

I'm looking to update from 98SE to XP. Is there a simple way to transfer everything from my current hard drive to another computer? I'm a dummy and afraid I'll lose some or all of my info. You guys have been so helpful in the past. Thanks in advance.

Cin

A:Switching from 98SE to XP

I, and many others, do not recommend an upgrade installation - there are too many problems and headaches with it. Also, this was the case prior to Service Pack 2 (SP2) being released - and upgrades to XP SP2 are doubly problematic (due to the changes in SP2).The first step is to ensure that your system is able to handle Windows XP. Does it meet these system requirements?: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314865That being said, then it's advisable to backup all your data to removable media (CD/DVD, flash drive, external hard drive, another partition, etc).Next is to download all the drivers that you'll need for XP and store them somewhere that you can access them after installing XP.To figure out which drivers you'll need, you'll have to provide the exact make and model of your computer in order for us to look them up.Then perform a clean install of XP using the upgrade disk (formatting the partition that Windows resides on).At one point it will ask you to provide the qualifying media - and you'll have to insert your Windows 98 disk as proof (if you don't have it, then get one - it's required).Once that's done, you'll have Windows installed, but won't have your drivers. You'll have to install your drivers in order. While it's not critical, older systems tend to cooperate better if the lower level stuff is installed before the higher level stuff. Here's an order that I got from this website: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...;l=en&s=gen#Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.#Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Adapter Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.#Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.#Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.#Modem - Allows dial-up capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.#Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.#Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Mouse & Keyboards Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.# Other Devices * Bluetooth? Module located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page * Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page * PCMCIA/Smartcard controller located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/178686/switching-from-98se-to-xp/
Relevancy 30.53%

I use my laptop at home and at work. Whenever I move between locations I have to change my Workgroup Name and change my default Printer.

Does anybody know of any software that I could install that would automatically make these changes each time I used the respective networks. For instance, if I turned my computer on in Zone A, it would switch to the Zone A Workgroup and the Zone A printer but then when I switched to Zone B, it would switch to Zone B Workgroup/Printer?

Many thanks for any replies

Relevancy 30.53%

Hi All A problem has occurred with my PC and I m hoping someone can advise Of late working both on and off line my PC has started to just switch itself off as Itself Just Computer Off. Switching if the electricity supply or socket switch is turned off There is no warning Sometimes just rebooting it can be annoying as it switches off seconds into the reboot Then again the PC may run for a couple of days without a hitch I have noticed that it tends to switch itself off when an anti virus scan runs I m downloading something playing music or video Even looking at Google Earth can be a problem - moving the mouse and the screen freezes for a second or two then catches up or jumps to where the mouse should have Computer Just Switching Itself Off. moved the screen image It frequently turns off when this happens It is as though anything involving the computer to work harder than just reading a web page or emails prompts it to shut down Any ideas on what the problem might be I m assuming that the electricity supply is operating normally The problem started when I moved address Only at my current home did the problem emerge Thanks ScottX

A:Computer Just Switching Itself Off.

System make/model...and manufacturer?

How much RAM installed?

How many partitions? Size of each? Free space on each?

Have you checked to ensure that all fans are working properly? (Open case and take a look).

This is a desktop?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/157473/computer-just-switching-itself-off/
Relevancy 30.53%

This started about three days ago. I first noticed it while using Mozilla foxfire. Once I click inside the window, I am unable to minimize, maximize, or close it using the buttons on the top left. I also cannot open or close anything without going through task manager and clicking on the item and hitting the switch button. I have downloaded the latest version of firefox, thunderbird (it also happens here), adobe, java, flash, etc. Nothing has helps. It also does it in Firefox safe mode and windows safe mode. I updated malwarebytes and ran it (found 7 items) and removed them. I had to use task master 3 times just to update malwarebytes. I am not sure if this is a computer problem or a virus problem. It does not seem to happen consistantly in internet explorer.

Missy

A:Switching Tasks

Once I click inside the window, I am unable to minimize, maximize, or close it using the buttons on the top left.Hi -From this, do you mean, if you have FF open it will not respond once you start anything (freeze), and is this the same with Internet Explorer ??Thank You -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/451460/switching-tasks/
Relevancy 30.53%

My computer keeps switching off and freezing. Don't know why this could be happening. Sometimes following it switching off, it takes about 3 attempts to restart. We have XP running on our PC. What should I do?

A:My Computer Keeps Switching Off! ?

Hello Scotslass,There could be any number of reasons that are causing this problem. To narrow down the culprits, could you answer some questions.How old is the computer?Do you know what hardware is in the computer?Is your computer completely up to date via windows update?What security products are you using on the system?Has this problem ever happened before?Could you open control panel=>administrative tools=>event viewer and look in the system, security and application sections for errors and warnings?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/155434/my-computer-keeps-switching-off/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hello! I'm a newbie here. I built myself a pretty decent system with following specs and I'm currently using Vista Ultimate 32-bit edition. I've been thinking about switching to 64-bit. Just wondering if it's a good idea or not with the hardware I have listed below ? (All hardware drivers and BIOS firmware up-to-date) I found out that my mobo and its BIOS doesn't have a memory remapping feature. Will that be needed to take full advantage of my 4GB RAM if I make this switch ? BIOS sees full 4GB but my current Vista 32bit only sees 3582MB of it. Also is 4 GB worth the switch or should I really get 8GB to take full advantage of x64 ? I do plan on upgrading to 8GB later down the road but probably not for a few months.

Intel Q6600 Quad Core
GA-965P-DS3 rev3.3
4 x 1GB Corsair 800Mhz DDR2 sticks
eVGA 8800GTS 640MB

A:Switching to Vista x64

hi, welcome!

yes, upgrade to 64 bit. Its not just the extra RAM you will see, but the currently unused 64bit registers in your 4 cores could make a difference in performance. 64bit is also more secure. You paid for a lot of silicon that is currently sitting idle.

I've built 12 vista 64 systems and have never encountered a remapping issue, guess there's a patch though if you need it.

4GB is more than enough for gaming. 8GB might be useful for media production, video editing or heavy virtualization, otherwise its a complete waste of money, windows won't even use it.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/132413-switching-vista-x64.html
Relevancy 30.53%

I am slightly confused if this would work out Right now I am running Windows Home Premium on my primary computer which was done as an upgrade from windows XP I have since purchased another copy of windows this time the Professional edition for another PC What I would really like to do is this Install my new RAID system in my current primary computer do a clean computers this Switching Is possible? install of Windows PROFESSIONAL not the version that is quot married quot to that motherboard currently quot activate that and leave it Upgrade another Is this possible? Switching computers computer Is this possible? Switching computers on which i have only XP installed currently with the windows HOME PREMIUM edition My reason for this is that I have come across various applications that would probably benefit from XP mode If it is truely not possible to do then its no big deal but it would just be nice if i could If that doesn't work out how do i go about doing a fresh install when my new hard drives arrive can I just install it and then enter the activation code since all of the hardware will stay the same

A:Is this possible? Switching computers

I see no problem with what you are planning - except that you will lose the Win7 that you upgraded from XP because that is tied to the mobo. If you want to reuse that same upgrade disk for your second system, you will have to talk to MS and ask them to deactivate the current one - else it will not activate. Given that you bought the professional edition, they may do that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/62002-possible-switching-computers.html
Relevancy 30.53%

Okay so I have a computer that three people use so we have profiles I'm usually downloading things and when they log off this is Can't do users... it. Switching terminated I'd like to be able to have it so they can go on the computer and I can Switching users... Can't do it. keep downloading So the feature I'm looking Switching users... Can't do it. for is switch users The problem is It's not anywhere in sight I was using the classic theme for both the icons of folders and the start menu all programs in stead of programs etc I would be fine with switching to the default look if it enabled me to switch users I just realized that I can't even change Switching users... Can't do it. the look back to default Can anyone help with either problem changing back to the default look and being able to switch users Here are possible things that I've done Start gt Shut Down gt Than from here there is Log off Restart Shutdown Standby No switch When I try to go back to the default view I do this Right Click on Start gt Properties gt The option should be here but it's not

A:Switching users... Can't do it.

Is "Use Fast User Switching" checkmarked in the User account under control panel?? If it's on..you should get the "Switch User" listed when you click Start..Log Off. There is also a registry tweak that will keep your internet connection active while switching users. Do so at your own risk as you will be editing and adding a value to the registry.

Here's how if you want to attempt.

1. Click Start, click Run and type REGEDIT and hit Enter (or click OK)
2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/ CurrentVersion/Winlogon
3. Right-click an empty space in the right-hand pane, and from the menu
Select New > String value
4. Name the new value KeepRASConnections (it's important that you use upper and lower-case letters exactly as shown)
5. Right-click the KeepRASConnections value, and choose Modify from the menu
6. Enter 1 as the Value data
7. Close the registry editor
8. Restart Windows for the changes to take effect

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/switching-users-cant-do-it-23973.html
Relevancy 30.53%

I have a little problem. Whenever I use the switch user command instead of logging off then changing accounts, when the second one is loading, my computer just freezes up. I did a system rollback, used the services tools (manual & automatic), neither worked, and everytime I try to go in, it freezes up, no message, I can move the mouse, and sometimes click something that will activate maybe 2 min later, but the hourglass never goes away. Can anyone give me some help please?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-switching-help-29166.html
Relevancy 30.53%

Ihave a problem swith between account users.

when i first log on everything is fine and logging off is o.k. the problem arises when you log onto a new user and try to log off. It wont let you log off.

The only way is by using ctrl, alt, del and manually logging off.

I have recently installed a wireless internet connection and with the connection being on all the time i wondered if that might be the problem.

I disconnected the connection and everything worked as normal.

Is there a way that you can stay online while switching between users?

Any help would be greatly apreciated....Many Thanks

A:switching users

Try enabling fast user switching, if you haven't already done so. I don't know if this will fix it, but it's worth a shot. Or if it's enabled try disabling it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/switching-users-29695.html