Windows Support Forum

Wifi on my laptop won't work but works when I use the ethernet cable

Q: Wifi on my laptop won't work but works when I use the ethernet cable

Hey guys,

I have a Sony Vaio VPCEH15EN laptop & the OS is Windows 7 home basic. I have a wifi router which is of TPLINK.

The wifi won't connect to my laptop but it works fine on my mobile..it would only start working when I use the ethernet cable. I never had this problem before. I have tried everything ..I also tried the winsockfix.bat but all my efforts have gone in vain..I just don't know if the wifi router is faulty or the modem of my ISP...Please help me solve this problem.

Best Regards,
Om

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Wifi on my laptop won't work but works when I use the ethernet cable

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Wifi on my laptop won't work but works when I use the ethernet cable

I have solved the problem by myself. To do this, first you have to disconnect your Ethernet cable from your laptop and follow the steps: Start>Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center>Manage Wireless Networks and remove all wireless connections by right click on it and select Remove network from the drop down menu. After doing this, close the windows and scan for the Wi-Fi networks. Click on the available network and select connect. After a while, you will be asked to give a password for your Wi-Fi connection. Type the password and click on connect button. And now will be connected to your Wi-Fi network via wireless.

May be it will help you.
Regards
MD. MAHMUDUL HASAN

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-on-my-laptop-wont-work-but-works-when-i-use-the-ethernet-cable.200754/
Relevancy 94.24%

Hi! I don't know much about this place but there's a problem with my laptop and I don't know how to solve it. My laptop won't connect to the wifi anymore but it works perfectly fine with the ethernet cable. I appreciate it very much if you tech geniuses could help me out. THANK YOU!

A:My WiFi on my laptop won't work but works with Ethernet cable

Are there any yellow (!) in the device manager?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-wifi-on-my-laptop-wont-work-but-works-with-ethernet-cable.206652/
Relevancy 83.08%

Hi All I have Windows Vista home premium I moved from Chicago to Boston Before I left Chicago I tried removing kaspersky internet security as my laptop used to heat up and shut down often you can hear the voice from laptop when more process are running and it shut s down While uninstalling kaspersky the laptop shutdown half way I moved to Boston I tried connecting to wireless it does not work It shows connected excellent signal strength but bytes received Wireless works fine for other room mates on their laptops If works, not cable does wifi Solved: work ethernet I try connecting from cable internet works fine Pasting the ipconfig all results Windows IP Configuration Host Name compaq-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List hsd ma comcast net Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix hsd ma comcast net Description Atheros AR b g WiFi Adapter Physical Address - F-E -BB- A- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe d bd ea f ae Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Saturday Solved: ethernet cable works, wifi does not work October AM Lease Expires Saturday November AM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -DE-FB- - - E-EC- E-DA- DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix hsd ma comcast net Description Realtek RTL x Family Fast Ethernet NIC Physical Address - E-EC- E-DA- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Solved: ethernet cable works, wifi does not work Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap E CF- F- D - FDE-F EC B DEA Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix hsd ma comcast net Description isatap hsd ma comcast net Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Pls help I also attached the pic of wifi inspector Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: ethernet cable works, wifi does not work

The following was put together mostly by etaf with a little help from me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Atheros Wireless Adapter - AR5007EG & AR5007
Over the last four or so years we have been seeing a lot of problems with the above adapters, mainly concerning WPA and WPA2 encryption and mainly on windows Vista.
We have seen just a couple of issues on other windows operating system, windows XP and windows 7.

Windows XP:- A driver update has resolved the issue
Windows 7 :- No conclusive results for a fix

The wireless adapter gets an IP configuration, and shows as connected, but communication is non-existent or sporadic.

Log into the Router and disable the wireless security and see if you are now able to connect to the internet and surf OK.
Please post back a reply here, and let us know if that works or does not work.

Here are a number of possible solutions

--- 1) In Device Manager right click on the wireless adapter and "update driver."

--- 2) Download and install the latest wireless driver from your laptop manufacturer's web site support section,

--- 3) On one occasion re-setting the router back to factory default and re-configuring the router settings has resolved the issue

--- 4) The majority of members, have now used the drivers from the atheros driver site, which has resolved the issue.
- see below for direct links for windows vista and the link for all Atheros adapters and supported operating systems
AR5007
Vista 32 / 64 Bit
Direct link Drivers for Atheros AR5007 and Windows Vista 32 / 64 bit
You only need to click on the green download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started
AR5007EG
Vista 32 / 64 Bit
Direct link Drivers for Atheros AR5007EG and Windows Vista 32 / 64 bit
You only need to click on the green download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started
Drivers for the other windows operating system
http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php
You need to look down the page for your particular adapter model and then look across the columns to find your windows version.
Now click on the blue tick mark in the column under your windows version.
This will open another page for that particular adapter and that windows version.

Now click on the download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

Assuming that after all the above the wireless still does not connect to the internet, all I can suggest is to use wireless security of WEP or to get an external USB wireless card.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-ethernet-cable-works-wifi-does-not-work.1111550/
Relevancy 81.53%

I have Lenovo laptop and my internet works just fine when the cable is connected but Wifi does not work It shows that i have excellent signal on the side but it just wont connect When i type with Wifi not cable Laptop works Ethernet but in password it says quot Windows cannot connect to XYZ quot I use Windows and my wireless network adapter is Atheros AR C Users MY gt IPCONFIG ALL Windows IP Configuration Host Name MY-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List local lan Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Anchorfree HSS VPN Adapter Physical Address -FF- -D - -DE DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter Physical Address -F -A -FA-B - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Laptop works with Ethernet cable but not Wifi Suffix Description Atheros AR Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address -F -A -FA-B - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Bluetooth Device Personal Area Network Physical Address C -CB- -FC-E - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix local lan Description Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Physical Address -AE- D-DE- A- B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe d af d Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Friday November AM Lease Expires Friday November PM Default Gateway fe ff fe b DHCP Server DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address d ab c f ca f fefd Pref erred Link-local IPv Address fe c f ca f fefd Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap D DE-EF - E -A B -BB A C F Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap local lan Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix local lan Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap AAE A - - DAF-AE E- BA B CACF Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap CC - - - -EAF D Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Here s a screenshot of what it shows nbsp

Relevancy 110.51%

Hi i have a Toshiba Satellite computer and my wifi doesnt work, it used to but it stopped all of a sudden.
https://gyazo.com/984c41491a3603c408f40cc4446008df

A:Toshiba Laptop internet only works through Ethernet Cable, NO WIFI

Reinstall your wifi driver from offcial toshiba website. Or you can check your all driver updated or not. To easily check all driver just download advanced driver updater to update WiFi and other driver

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/590272/toshiba-laptop-internet-only-works-through-ethernet-cable-no-wifi/
Relevancy 92.45%

Hey guys, my laptop asus stopped working with wifi connection and I was just reading some posts here about this same problem but didn't find how to fix it.

I was uninstalling some programs from my pc but I didn't uninstall programs named "something wireless". I just took off what I knew I could.

I also tried the option "solve problems" in the wireless pc symbol and the answer was to connect my laptop to an ethernet cable...that never happened. Just now.

Does anyone knows how I get back my wireless connection? Pleasee

A:WiFi doesn't work only with cable ethernet

Powercycle the modem and router. Here is a specific order if you have a separate modem and router.
1. Shut down all PC's.
2. Shut down the Modem and router.
3. Power on the modem only. Wait 2 minutes or so.
4. Power on the router. Wait 2 minutes or so.
If you have a modem/router combo, then you don't need step 4.
5. Boot up the PC and see if you can connect.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-doesnt-work-only-with-cable-ethernet.207136/
Relevancy 91.16%

My wi-fi connection was working perfectly until I removed the plug of the modem. Now it shows no problem, no yellow sign in the wireless icon but I still can not connect to the internet. It works only via Ethernet cable. I set the priority to wireless and rebooted the system but it still does not work.

A:My laptop works only via Ethernet Cable

You probably need the SSID and key for the wireless access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-laptop-works-only-via-ethernet-cable.1145777/
Relevancy 90.3%

Hi

i have an E-system 3115 laptop and have managed to connect to the internet using an ethernet cable to my Scientific Atlanta modem, but what i want to do is connect the ethernet cable to my Belkin Wireless G+ MIMO router and go online wirelessly.

I'm having problems doing this as it only seems to work when the cable is plugged into the laptop.

Thank you if you can help me.

A:Laptop only works when connected with ethernet cable

Have you disabled all encryption on the modem and tried to connect that way? Does the laptop connect to any other wireless networks? Does a wired connection work when you connect to the router and not the modem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-only-works-when-connected-with-ethernet-cable.838220/
Relevancy 89.44%

Hi guys I ve been researching and trying to days to get this to work with no avail so I decided to post here for some help as doesn't Ethernet connected Wifi work cable. using working when only Internet I see this community is really active We ve got different laptops here and none of them can connect to the wifi anymore it suddenly stopped working for the last whole week We can connect to the internet through ethernet cables though We only use one at a time if ethernet then wireless is disabled and vice versa Here is a copy of the ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name PeterMai-HP Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Internet only working when connected using Ethernet cable. Wifi doesn't work Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List moolahd local Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix moolahd local Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address AC- - D- B-ED-F DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe ac a d b Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Monday October PM Lease Expires Tuesday October PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - -FB- -AC- - D- B-ED-F DNS Servers Primary WINS Server NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Broadcom GN b g n x Wi-Fi Ada pter Physical Address -ED-B - D- -FD DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe c f e e b fc f Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - -FB- -AC- - D- B-ED-F DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap optusnet com au Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap moolahd local Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Reusable ISATAP Interface CE FC E - F - C C- D - D EBEC Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap DDFAF D- B- -AA A-DBE BA F Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Reusable ISATAP Interface E ED - - A -BB -FB FA F F Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes And here is a copy of the route print Interface List ac d b ed f Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller ed b d fd Broadcom GN b g n x Wi-Fi Adapter Software Loopback Interface e Microsoft to Adapter e Microsoft ISATAP Adapter e Microsoft ISATAP Adapter e Microsoft ISATAP Adapter e Microsoft ISATAP Adapter e Microsoft ISATAP Adapter e Microsoft ISATAP Adapter e Microsoft ISATAP Adapter IPv Route Table Active Routes Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric O... Read more

A:Internet only working when connected using Ethernet cable. Wifi doesn't work

You have an IP on your LAN, but none on your wifi. Check your router to make sure DHCP for wifi is turned on and you have enough available addresses.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-only-working-when-connected-using-ethernet-cable-wifi-doesnt-work.197081/
Relevancy 89.01%

My PC with windows 7 is the only computer with issues in the house. Ethernet works perfectly but wifi doesn't even when I don't have the ethernet hooked up. The wifi says it is connected but browsers, steam, and Itunes don't work. I have Bitdefender A/V and already tried uninstalling it, no change. I also uninstalled steam and Itunes with still no change. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the wireless adapter. I tried looking and I don't recall downloading or installing anything around the time the problem started. Before I try replacing the adapter itself, I was hoping for help here since I saw a very similar problem in another thread.

A:Internet connects but doesnt work on wifi, ethernet works fine

Bump
If there is any more info I can give to help you help me, please let me know.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-connects-but-doesnt-work-on-wifi-ethernet-works-fine.199827/
Relevancy 88.58%

Hi there,

So in the past my laptop has been able to connect directly to the internet using an Cat5e cable, but recently when I have been trying to direct connect, I have been unable to, and not sure when the problem started because I always used WiFi and it worked great. I do a lot of messing around, not only with my network, but with my laptop settings also, so something might have gone bunko. I have done much troubleshooitng, such as trying to update drivers, checking to see if the hardware was disabled, etc... And I am out of ideas! Please, anything helps!

A:Ethernet Cable Not Recognized by Laptop, but Wifi is

can we see an ipconfig /all
ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy
Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ethernet-cable-not-recognized-by-laptop-but-wifi-is.1059231/
Relevancy 87.29%

Hi,

I have this problem that my laptop connects to internet only via WiFi and not through LAN cable. Although this is not a major issue for me but I wonder why this happens? would appreciate and assistance in sorting this out.

Thanks

A:Laptop works only on WiFi and not when connected via Lan Cable

For an attempted ethernet connection ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-works-only-on-wifi-and-not-when-connected-via-lan-cable.1110313/
Relevancy 87.29%

I have a Sony Vaio with WIFI and an ALienware that does not have WIFI. I need to connect the Alienware to the Vaio with ethernet cable to access the net. I keep getting a IP address conflict message on the Vaio. The only thing I need the Vaio for is the WIFI connectivity. Will be purchasing a new PCI card (wireless adapter) soon but until I do... I need to make that connection on the Vaio a Hot Spot or the likes. Any surefire methodology to accomplish this task? Thanks so much for any help you can offer. Kirt (530)749-1110

A:Win XP, laptop#1 has WIFI, laptop #2 needs to connect thru #1 with ethernet cable

what operating systems are on the PCs

you should use ICS - internet connection sharing or bridge
what type of cable do you have - it may need a crossover cable if the pcs are old and do not have autosensing LAN connections
TURN ON ICS
TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing

General
-------
TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-ICS-Internet-Connection-Sharing

XP
--
TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing - for windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/crawford_02july01.mspx

VISTA
-----
TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing - for windows VISTA
http://www.windowsreference.com/win...ternet-connection-sharing-ics-setup-in-vista/

windows 7
---------
TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing - for windows 7
http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/bridge-network-connections-in-windows-7/

Bridging two network connections:
Make sure the secondary connection has DHCP enabled.
Open the Network Connections folder from the Start Menu, Settings.
Select the first connection to be used in the bridge and highlight it by left clicking on it.
Holding the Ctrl key, select the second connection to be used in the bridge by left clicking on it.
Right click on one of the two highlighted connections and select Bridge Connections.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-xp-laptop-1-has-wifi-laptop-2-needs-to-connect-thru-1-with-ethernet-cable.1016997/
Relevancy 86.86%

Hello My laptop recently got a horrible virus which I managed to fix despite being a girl However One of the remaining side effects of the virus is that it will not scan for wireless networks - every time I try it says quot Windows cannot configure this wireless connection quot and quot If you want Windows to configure this wireless connection start the Wireless Zero Configuration WZC service quot So I can currently only - will the scanning My has laptop wifi stopped internet ethernet cable only allow for connect to the internet using an ether net cable which is very restricting as it means I can t take my laptop to a cafe etc Things I ve tried gt Turning it on and off again - yes - in every way - the router the laptop the cabelling all of it gt Other laptops - I have had friends bring their laptops round and they have been able to scan for and connect to my wireless network - so the problem is definitely with my laptop gt System Restore - I have tried to restore back to the week before the laptop got the virus but this has not solved the problem Could it be that My laptop has stopped scanning for wifi - only the ethernet cable will allow internet the virus made my computer go into some kind of emergency attack mode and then the firewall got effected Any advice would be very gratefully received - thanks in advance for your help It is a Toshiba A - laptop running Windows XP xx nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-laptop-has-stopped-scanning-for-wifi-only-the-ethernet-cable-will-allow-internet.951187/
Relevancy 86.43%

I'm a new Plusnet customer and I cannot connect to the internet using wifi I just get a page saying the broadband is down. So I tried using an ethernet cable and after manually setting this up I can use the internet. I accidentally disconnected the cable yesterday but the internet didn't fault, it's now working wirelessly. I can connect to the wifi using my mobile and iPad but I cannot connect to the internet. A new router has been sent and the problem still persists, a bt engineer has also visited but cannot find a solution.

Can anybody please help me?

A:I can't connect to wifi but connect with an Ethernet cable works, even when it isn't plugged in

It gets confusing as to which device is being used so as a guideline
disable one or the other (wifi vs wired) and don't allow both to be active at the same time. Technically, which ever device gets an IP address from your router will become the gateway to your ISP - - ignoring the connectivity of the second device to access your router.

With a laptop, we just toggle the keyboard to enable/disable wifi and the wired is easy - - just pull the cable out.

create a desktop shortcut to \windows\system32\devmgmt.msc
to control the devices (needs admin access)
expand [+] network adapters and you'll see the list
mine are

Dell Wireless 1502 ....
Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Just right-click->disable and you can always right-click->enable

The png posted shows both are enabled and the wired has the gateway.
If the cable is disconnected, this is quite impossible.

SO, first control which device is to be used and then make the connection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-cant-connect-to-wifi-but-connect-with-an-ethernet-cable-works-even-when-it-isnt-plugged-in.204891/
Relevancy 86%

Greetings!

I have an internet connection which is distributed through a wireless router. I use my laptop's (which also has a LAN adapter) WiFi to connect to that router. I have a PC too which only has LAN adapter but not the Wireless adapter.

Unfortunately I cannot wire my place as the router is in my housemate's room. I have network cables though to connect my PC and my laptop. Can I access Internet on my PC using connection between my laptop and PC and my laptop being connected to the Internet via WiFi?

I have DHCP enabled on my WiFi laptop. I am not sure what do I need to do and if I need to give static IP's to all the computers?

Thanks,
AJ
PS - I can access the router settings and I can change those settings unless it hampers my other house-mates to use the Internet.

A:Laptop (wifi Internet w/ethernet facility) connect to PC through CAT5 cable

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-wifi-internet-w-ethernet-facility-connect-to-pc-through-cat5-cable.671427/
Relevancy 84.28%

I have an Aspire one NAV50 with Windows 7 starter.

One time, when I turned it on, The icon for wireless connection doesn't appear anymore. Every time I try troubleshoot it, it would just say that there is an ethernet cable unplugged. And so, I connected it into the ethernet cable and it works fine. But when I tried it again on the wireless connections, it doesn't locate to any wireless connection.

I've tried the ff on my laptop:

restart
update
scan the laptop with MalwareBytes
Fn+f2
by the way, last night, when I turned on again the laptop, the wireless connections can already be found. However, after few minutes, it went back to being unlocated again.

A:Laptop would work on ethernet cable not on Wireless Connections

I had doubt the Starter supports the Wireless connecting but since you say " the wireless connections can already be found.", so probably it's possible.
In this case and at the moment the thing I'm thinking about is the driver. Try to update its driver for wireless connecting. (You've said the 'update', but update of what?).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-would-work-on-ethernet-cable-not-on-wireless-connections.201158/
Relevancy 80.84%

Please help!

There was a power outage in my apartment last night and my laptop was plugged in at the time. Now when my power cable is plugged into my laptop I cant receive wifi!! Ive double checked and whenever the laptop is just running on batteries it can receive wifi. This is so weird and Im worried the power outage broke something inside my laptop.

The laptop is am Acer Aspire 5100 and the wifi is a Linksys router.

Thankyou, thank you, thank you in advance!

Tania

A:Wifi doesnt work when power cable plugged in to laptop

Perhaps something has happened to the power adaptor. If you can find an identical adaptor with the same voltage and amperage output, try it at your home.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-doesnt-work-when-power-cable-plugged-in-to-laptop.684491/
Relevancy 79.12%

The pc ethernet port has worked up to this point I ll just tell you what happened Somehow the tip of the speaker connection managed to pcs. detected. Cable not Ethernet being cable other works on get stuck in the green port After reading about what to do online i opened up the pc and managed to open the back of the sound ports and push out Ethernet cable not being detected. Cable works on other pcs. the tip with a paperclip But when I started up the pc again the ethernet cable wasent being dectected I ve tried the cable out with the laptop and it works i ve also tried a different cable into the pc and that isint being detected either works with laptop The drivers should be upto date I had to remove the power supply cables from the inside of the computer to get at the sound ports maybe i didnt put them back right What cable controls the ethernet port I m a bit lost the lights on the lan port Ethernet cable not being detected. Cable works on other pcs. dont light up either Any ideas nbsp

Relevancy 77.83%

So I accidently bent my Belkin surf and share WiFi adapter on my desktop, and the internet cut out. I assumed it was broken, so I plugged it into my laptop and turned the wifi switch to off to test it out. Strangely, it worked fine. Then I attempted other USB ports on my tower, none of them worked. The strange thing is I can see all of the available wifi networks, but can't connect to them. I tried uninstalling the drivers, restarting, and reinstalling but that doesn't seem to work. The chip is fine, as it worked on my laptop, but it refuses to work on the tower.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

A:Belkin Surf and Share WiFi adapter Doesn't work on desktop, yet works on laptop

Buy an adapter that hasn't been physically damaged.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/belkin-surf-and-share-wifi-adapter-doesnt-work-on-desktop-yet-works-on-laptop.1069005/
Relevancy 77.4%

Hi After moving to a new home I'm having trouble getting a wired connection working Same modem and router as the previous home same PC Different ISP but both are Shaw cable re-packagers router CISCO Linksys E Factory Reset with latest firmware modem THOMPSON DCM wifi disabled) Wifi Ethernet Works, doesn't (even with motherboard SAPPHIRE Pure Black P Hydra USB adapter USB wifi Dlink DWA- Operating system Windows Ethernet Adapter Marvell Yukon E Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller latest driver version I have only a PC and an android connected occasionally and android tablet as well Wifi Works, Ethernet doesn't (even with wifi disabled) The PC can connect via wifi if ethernet is disabled and then modem router PC restarted but I can't seem to figure out a way to get the ethernet connection to work I've tried DHCP and Static IP configurations and I've tried connecting the ethernet directly to the modem instead of the router but to no avail I believe I've managed at times to access the router from the PC only with static IP but never the internet as well I've tried cat cables as well Here are some pictures with more details of my config I've been banging my head against this for hours can anyone see what I'm missing

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/399637-wifi-works-ethernet-doesnt-even-wifi-disabled.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Starting days ago I started having issues with my WiFi plugged in cable only works ethernet Wi-Fi with at first it started with the quot quot popping up sorry im not very tech savvy and i could just trouble shoot problems and it will repair itself It Then it started saying Wi-Fi only works with ethernet cable plugged in there weren t any networks available I made sure airplane mode was not on and everything and it either had the picture of the monitor with the X over it or the WiFi thing with the X over it I did trouble shoot and it worked sometimes but other times I just restarted my PC and it worked fine for a while and would keep doing this Last night it had the monitor with the X and would say that I needed to plug in an Ethernet cable and trouble shoot wouldn t fix anything I tried resetting my PC but its still having the same problem I now have the Ethernet cable plugged in because its the only thing that will work I have a desktop computer two phones and a ps hooked up to the wifi and it hasn t been having any problems at all I have windows and Wi-Fi only works with ethernet cable plugged in ive had this PC for about a year and a half I don t have much downloaded except for some trusted Wi-Fi only works with ethernet cable plugged in things Steam Firefox chrome etc and I havent been deleting any programs or anything nbsp

A:Wi-Fi only works with ethernet cable plugged in

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10

For Windows 8 or Windows 10
To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop.
Use Windows + X Keys together and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.
Or Right click on the windows icon - bottom left hand side - A menu appears - choose Command Prompt (Admin)​
For windows version, XP, Vista, W7
Hold the Windows key and press R
Now type CMD
Now press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):​In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold and red for the following commands.
Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog and press enter

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log and press enter

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log and press enter
​ReStart (reboot) the machine.

If you receive the message
The requested operation requires elevation.
Then please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen )​Please note and post back - if you receive the following message :-
Resetting , failed. - This error will occur with windows 10 , so ignore.
Access is denied. - This error will occur with windows 8 and windows 10 , so ignore.
But running TCP/IP reset still can resolve issues , even with the above errors.

please post back the results in a reply here - its important we know that these commands have worked correctly and not produced any errors
right click in the command prompt box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste​
Details also here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
also the link has a Microsoft Fix it , which will do the above for you

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wi-fi-only-works-with-ethernet-cable-plugged-in.1172082/
Relevancy 74.82%

Hi

i have an E-system 3115 laptop and have managed to connect to the internet using an ethernet cable to my Scientific Atlanta modem, but what i want to do is connect the ethernet cable to my Belkin Wireless G+ MIMO router and go online wirelessly.

I'm having problems doing this as it only seems to work when the cable is plugged into the laptop.

Thank you if you can help me.

Relevancy 73.96%

Hello!
I just got a new modem (Netgear) that I replaced the old one (D-Link). The wifi is working perfectly, laptops, iPads etc. is working all fine.
The problem is, the computer that uses Ethernet cable isn't working at all. It's says 'Internet service unavailable' and the networks name went from 'unidentified' to 'Network 2'. Both computers using Ethernet cable isn't working and I have updated drive, try to see if it is the routers (Belkin G wireless)fault etc. Even my printer isn't working even though it uses wifi. The printer tough says 'Press router's WSP button' but my router doesn't have one.

So how can I fix this problem and make those computers work?

(Sorry for the description/language, I only have basic computer knowledge)

Thanks!

Relevancy 73.96%

Basically what happened before: After updating to Windows 10, my computer was not showing any network options. (The icon says "Not connected - No connections are available) Going into Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network Connections, it then says "Local Area Connection Network cable unplugged". I ran diagnostics and it said to plug in the ethernet cable to the network adaptor. So my wifi connection will not work with my laptop unless directly connected to by the ethernet cable. Wifi works fine with phones, ipods/ipads, and another laptop that was also updated to windows 10/a desktop still using windows 8.

A:Wifi not connecting without Ethernet cable

If you can't connect with Wi-Fi plugging in an Ethernet cable is bypassing the wireless entirely. Have you checked Control Panel, Device Manager [or right-click the Start button and choose Device Manager], see if maybe you need to download then install drivers for your Wireless Network adapter? Check the Network work section, are there any yellow symbols there? Is the Wireless adapter listed? If so maybe it needs to have the drivers updated, right-click and make the choice while still connected. The downside to Upgrading to Win10 is the "it worked in Win7 w/SP1 or Win8.1" doesn't guarantee it works in Win10 without updating drivers that Microsoft may not yet have available, they usually come from the manufacturer of devices.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/18262-wifi-not-connecting-without-ethernet-cable.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Is there somewhere in Windows XP, 7, and 8 to have it use the ethernet cable only when plugged in even with WiFi enabled or connected?

A:Prefer ethernet cable over WiFi?

When my Ethernet cable is plugged into the modem, it automatically supercedes wireless connection.

I.E. - When using PS3, I plug in cable and that is the one that is recognized - if I unplug it, wireless takes over.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/339871-prefer-ethernet-cable-over-wifi.html
Relevancy 73.96%

My problem started the day of the big cyber attack on the internet. Coincidence?

I am having the same problem as this poster

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/629989/cant-connect-to-the-internet-via-wifi-but-can-with-cable/

I've tried everything mentioned in that thread to no avail.

I have Windows 7 - 64 bit.
Vaio vgn-z610y which is 7 yr old.

Went to Device manager.. First deleted, then I updated the  driver for Intel Wifi 5100 AGN.. Then I went to the Sony site and found another driver update.

I don't see a place in Bios.to enable wireless.

The Windows Mobility utility didn't fix the problem.

I don't know what else to try..The Netgear WNR1000 v4 router is new and wifi works on my tablet..

I've removed the battery from the laptop.

I don't have a restore point so maybe I have a virus? I've run Malwarebytes, , Awdcleaner, Avast, Tdsskiller,

Please HELP!

Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/630521/cant-connect-to-wifi-but-can-use-ethernet-cable/
Relevancy 73.96%

i used to be able to access the internet directly via a direct ethernet connection but now my only option appears to be the wireless network connection i don't recall when exactly the local area connection connect works via but not ethernet connection cable can wireless disappeared but the wireless is too slow amp unreliable i really would appreciate any assistance figuring out how to connect to the internet directly again i'm running windows xp home edition version wireless connection works but can not connect via ethernet cable with service pack on a emachine desktop i have a netgear wireless pci adapter for wireless connection works but can not connect via ethernet cable the wireless i tested the cable on another pc so i know the cable amp the ethernet connection work when i plug teh cable into my pc shouldn't a local area connection option appear on my network connections i believe i used to wireless connection works but can not connect via ethernet cable be able to choose between wireless amp local are connection but not all i get is wireless network connection i ran ipconfig all this i what i got C Documents and Settings Owner gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name DA -Bloomfield Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List myhome westell com Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix myhome westell com Description NETGEAR WG g Wireless PCI A dapter Physical Address - - B- - C- Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained Wednesday October AM Lease Expires Thursday October A M any help would be appreciated dB

A:wireless connection works but can not connect via ethernet cable

I have no idea about your level of knowledge but I thought I'd let you know what I would do to investigate the problem....

Right click My Network places from the desktop or go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, Communications, Network Connections.

Here you should see you LAN and Wireless Connections. Make sure the LAN connection is not disabled. Right click, properties, select Internet Protocol in the box and set everything to automatic; obtain IP and DNS automatically, assuming you have a DHCP server on the network. The router perhaps? If not then manually enter the IP, subnet mask (probably 255.255.255.0) and the gateway ip. Set the Primary DNS address to the same as the gateway again, assuming the router is configured to get it's DNS address from your ISP. Click Advanced and set Enable NetBIOS over TCIP in the WINS tab.

Also check in Device Manager that your Network Card (NIC) is available, enabled and working.

Once the ethernet cable is attached, you should at least be able to ipconfig and see the LAN connection. If you can try to ping the router:
ping 192.168.1.1
You should get 4 replies if all is well.
Then try to ping an external address:
ping www.google.co.uk
again, you should 4 replies.

I know this is fairly detailed help but that would be a good start to investigate your issue.

Good luck...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/wireless-connection-works-but-can-not-connect-via-ethernet-cable-422128.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Hoping someone can help me connect to my new wifi A few days ago I just had comcast cable internet home phone installed all run through a modem router combo I ll try to post some more specific details below So TV and phone are working great And actually even the works, Ethernet but connection not wifi internet is working great I just can t connect MY laptop to the internet I can connect my iPhone and Kindle Fire w o difficulty And if I plug into the ethernet cable I can get the laptop to go the internet But when I connect to my wifi connection I end up with only a local connection On a side note the first time I tried to connect to the signal my computer asked me to set up a profile for it WLAN profile I think And I did stupidly I vaguely remember having a problem with that in the past but I had tech support at my college that fixed it I have restarted both the modem router and my computer multiple times I have tried to repair the connection with Windows I have tried tech support with comcast but they keep referring me to the computer manufacturer There is an unsecured signal nearby I CAN connect to tried out of curiosity to make sure it WASN T the laptop but I don t want to pirate so instead I stay tethered to my ft ethernet cable I have searched google and reddit to no avail I do not claim to be tech savvy but I can follow directions Ethernet connection works, but not wifi pretty well just be Ethernet connection works, but not wifi specific step-by-step Last night out of desperation I tried the Geek Squad online chat to help but I can t stomach for what I m sure is a simple problem So on to details Router modem combo--SMC network Model number SMCD GNV Encryption TKIP AES Laptop--Sony VAIO ish running Windows Vista Can anyone help nbsp

Relevancy 73.53%

I have been using my ASUS X53E laptop on the WiFi at my university for the past 4 months with no problems connecting to the internet. A few days ago, my internet suddenly started going in and out. It will work alright for about an hour, and then it will stop working completely, even though it says my WiFi connection is still "excellent". However, when I plugged in an ethernet cable, it has been working perfectly with no problems.
No one else around me has been having problems with the WiFi - it's just me. Any ideas?

Relevancy 73.53%

Hi guys I cant connect with my Wifi but with the ethernet cable it works fine Here s my ipconfig all Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users ACER gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name ACER-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No connection but works, wifi Ethernet not WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media Ethernet connection works, but not wifi disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter Physical Address Ethernet connection works, but not wifi - -C -E -D -C DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Broadcom NetLink TM Gigabit Ethernet Physical Address - - D- C-B - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe edc d b ccb Ethernet connection works, but not wifi eaa Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Monday August PM Lease Expires Thursday August PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -F - - B- - -C -E -D -C DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR X Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address - -C -E -D -C DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap CC D- CF- - EB- B A C C Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap F DDE A - FB - A-B B -DC FB E Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address d ab af cc d c e c Pref erred Link-local IPv Address fe af cc d c e c Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter TO Adapter Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap E - D - F -AB - B D FE Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes C Users ACER gt netsh winsock reset catalog Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog You must restart the computer in order to complete the reset C Users ACER gt netsh int ipv reset reset log Reseting Global OK Reseting Interface OK Restart the computer to complete this action C Users ACER gt netsh in ipv reset reset log Reseting Interface OK Restart the computer to complete this action C Users ACER gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name ACER-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter Physical Address - -C -E -D -C DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Broadcom NetLink TM Gigabit Ethernet Physical Address - - D- C-B - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe edc d b ccb eaa Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Monday August PM Lease Expires Thursday August PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -F - - B- - -C -E -D -C DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Conn... Read more

A:Ethernet connection works, but not wifi

what happens when you connect to a wireless signal ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ethernet-connection-works-but-not-wifi.1130907/
Relevancy 73.53%

I ve been having a problem of late where ethernet doesn't Wifi works, my ethernet connection has been unable to gain internet access and reportedly shows the network as being unidentified It will be unable to connect for a long period during the day and then regains access However if I connect my USB Wifi adapter it picks up the network immediately and internet connection isn t a problem This is the ipconfig all whilst both USB Wifi and ethernet cable are connected C Users Owner gt ipconfig ALL Windows IP Configuration Host Name Marty-PC Wifi works, ethernet doesn't Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter Physical Address - C- D-E - C-D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Wifi works, ethernet doesn't Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address - C- D-E - C-D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe ae a Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Thursday October PM Lease Expires Thursday October PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -A -AE- - C-F Wifi works, ethernet doesn't - -EC-EB- DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address C-F - -EC-EB- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe fcce baf d e Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -A -AE- - C-F - -EC-EB- DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap D E BED- - B -AF - E B B F Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap B - - CC- AE - C Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap C B ECB -CBBE- DA-AA E- B C Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes C Users Owner gt nbsp

Relevancy 73.53%

Once I installed windows 10 as I received update thenafter both ethernet and wifi did not work. Therefore, I downgraded my system to the inbuilt 8.1 and now the wifi is unable to connect while its been detected by the system. My MODEM's wifi is perfectly working on my cell. Kindly guide me to solve the issue at the earliest.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Wifi-is-not-working-but-ethernet-works/td-p/5715870
Relevancy 73.53%

I just moved and have been trying to get my PC connected to the internet at my new place. I have a Dlink AC750 dual band wireless router, and my computer has no problem connecting to it wirelessly. However I cannot figure out how to connect directly by ethernet. I have a cable running from the router to the back of the PC, but the icon in my tray just says 'No connections are available'. I have also tried connecting directly to the PC bypassing the router. Everyone I have spoken to, including tech support, has told me that you "plug it in and it just works". Am I missing some step in getting my PC to recognize the ethernet cable?

A:WiFi works, ethernet doesn't

Hello mate have you tried updating the LAN driver for that machine and even simpler a new cable??

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/395168-wifi-works-ethernet-doesnt.html
Relevancy 73.1%

So here I am sitting on my desktop Vista machine Acer Aspire M model being able to connect to my D-Link wifi router by ONLY using a Belkin wifi dongle I Connect dongle Only cable Can using ethernet WiFi & not via cannot get my machine to connect with an ethernet cable I have tried several different cable but still no joy When I go Can Only Connect using WiFi dongle & not via ethernet cable to 'Network amp Sharing' centre in Vista I can see the Belkin Wifi connection which is obviously how I am being able to connect and type this but the wired connection just constantly says 'Unidentified' - Local Access Only Just to add some more info - I also went to the Command Prompt and typed in ipconfig renew and Can Only Connect using WiFi dongle & not via ethernet cable after a few seconds got the follwing reply 'An error occurred while renewing interface Wired Connection unable to contact your DHCP server Request timed out An error occured while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface The system cannot find the file specified Ethernet adaptor Wired Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Link Local IPv Address f e ec b bd e Autoconfiguration IPv Address Subnet Mask Default gateway fe ea c cff e Can anyone help me out here

A:Can Only Connect using WiFi dongle & not via ethernet cable

....anybody?!?! Over 100 views and nobody has any idea on a possible fix?!

I also noticed a post further down which has had over 10,000 views and only 7 reponses...not holding out much hope....!!!

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/298275-can-only-connect-using-wifi-dongle-not-via-ethernet-cable.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Hey guys This issue is most puzzling to me Since yesterday the internet began to act unsoundly through WiFi As in I never had this problem before There were periods where it was fast enough to play some online games watch Youtube no problem and then it would shut off randomly So since yesterday I have been restarting the modem with only very short term resolutions to the issue I accessed the modem through my web browser and it says the connection is always working fine Despite that I called my ISP and they claimed there was an issue and forwarded it to Deutsche Telekom Since then I did some experimenting and plugged my computer into the modem with the ethernet cable Boom No problem whatsoever It's been top speed and reliable So I'm assuming this is an issue with Windows hopefully you guys can help me out If it helps I downloaded and installed updates for Windows today There are optional ones that I did not download yet but I did is Wifi unstable, top is ethernet speed? cable yet download and install the important ones Wifi is unstable, yet ethernet cable is top speed? no problem I checked the network adapters and they all state quot The best driver for your software is already installed quot Thanks in advance

A:Wifi is unstable, yet ethernet cable is top speed?

You may want to go to the website of the laptop's manufacturer and download the latest driver, and install it. Using the OEM driver, sometimes eliminates the problem.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/39958-wifi-unstable-yet-ethernet-cable-top-speed.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi, i have been experiencing BSODs for 3 days not. At first it started when I connected to WiFi, so i switched to ethernet cable. Now it crashes when i am using the ethernet cable as well. I tried searching for solutions but i don't understand much about computers. I have the minidump file but i don't know how to show them here. I tried using driver verifier and now it crashes every 20 minutes without even connecting to the internet. I cant put my computer into safe mode, it reboots even if i press shift +f8 and i cant create recovery disk. Can anyone please help me solve this.

A:BSOD when connecting to wifi and using ethernet cable

At one point during the repeated boots you should get a prompt to try startup/automatic repair.
You can also try forcing a restart when the little spinning dial is at the bottom of boot screen (by holding down the power button)
Select that, and then you can select Safe Mode to boot into.

Try each one of the options here: Safe Mode - Start Windows 8 in
If you still can't get into Safe Mode, you can always boot using your recovery media in order to access Startup Repair.

The very first thing to do in Safe Mode is to disable Driver Verifier
To do this, open up verifier.exe and select "Delete existing settings". Then click on Finish and reboot to let the changes take effect.

To upload the minidump file, zip it up and then upload it using the Attachments tool below the reply box.

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/63057-bsod-when-connecting-wifi-using-ethernet-cable.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I can t get my network card to work when plugged into the wall The computer detects the card and all but card works even 'no error ethernet network detected' though cable Getting I can t get it to detect the lan cable and the card doesn t light up At first I thought maybe the cord port was jacked but I was messing around with it and at one point my laptop and the PC network card were connected and it lit up Can t get internet that way of course I can also get it to work Getting 'no ethernet cable detected' error even though network card works from PC to PS I can successfully transfer files through FTP What s going on By the way I m at a university There s no modem or router for me to reset or anything like that And yes the actual cable works and Getting 'no ethernet cable detected' error even though network card works so does the walljack I m connecting from they both work with my laptop I ve tried plugging and unplugging using different cables resetting the cmos doing a system restore point uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers no changes It s a brand new card and it never worked I mean it would be one thing if it at least detected the cable and the internet didn t work but for it to detect the cable when plugged into anything except the walljack when I know the walljack works the cable works and the network card works to at least some extent I ve never had a problem like this before I could reinstall Windows but I dunno I have a feeling that won t work No problems are detected in the device manager ipconfig all gives me a media disconnected for everything nbsp

A:Getting 'no ethernet cable detected' error even though network card works

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/getting-no-ethernet-cable-detected-error-even-though-network-card-works.1003297/
Relevancy 72.67%

Running Win 8.1 on Lenovo Y410p. Verizon FIOS router, Actiontec MI424WR (Actiontec[1] ).
Everything was running fine until last night. No internet when I connected to the router with an ethernet cable, but the wifi still works. I ran windows troubleshooting diagnostic and it said ETHERNET DOESN'T HAVE A VALID IP. Restarted my laptop and the router, changed ports, got a new ethernet cable, tried hooking up another laptop, still nothing. It shows up as Unidentified Network with No Internet Access. Xbox is also connected to router via ethernet, that isn't working either. The wifi is working but it's shoddy, every few minutes it'll lag, Chrome will go into NOT RESPONDING mode for a second or 2 and then go back to working. Wifi is also prone to dropping out and coming back at times.
Please advise.

A:Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP, wifi still works?

Power cycle your ISP Modem, router and computer(s).

Power all off
Remove power from modem and router for 30 seconds or so.
Connect power to modem, wait for it to finish booting and stabilize
Connect power to router, wait for it to finish booting and stabilize
Power up computer with Ethernet cable already connected

If still not working: collect IP configuration information as follows:

Open a Elevated Command Prompt:

Press WIN + X to open Start context menu.
Select Command Prompt (Admin)​.

Paste the following into the Command Prompt window, exactly as shown, including double quotes:

cmd /c "ipconfig /all > postme.txt & ping yahoo.com >> postme.txt & reg query "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" | find /i "proxy" >> postme.txt & notepad postme.txt & del postme.txt"

and press ENTER.

A file will open in Notepad. Please copy and paste the contents here. Close the Notepad window and the file will be deleted and the Command Prompt window will also close. Paste the information in a reply here.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/67626-ethernet-doesnt-have-valid-ip-wifi-still-works.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi all!

I have a problem with my university internet. I can connect fine through wireless, no problems at all.
However when I attempt to use my ethernet cable, I have a connection for 5-10 seconds before any webpage I attempt to access is directed to a portal to log in with my university ID and password. Once I do so and the portal has confirmed that I have access (the user/pass has worked), the display page tells me to retry my original URL, however the internet connection does not work and I am not able to access anything. Any help? Thanks!

I have gone to the help center at my school and they were unable to help me

Relevancy 72.24%

I have recently set up two Pc's down stairs next to each other. The plan was to use them for gaming but for the life of me i cannot get Ethernet & wifi to work at the same time.

Each Pc has its own wifi but gaming over wifi is slow and file transfers are painful. I can get it working but after around 5 min it will start defaulting all of traffic to the wifi.

I have tried over the last week everything I could find online. Renewing, flushing, sharing internet through one etc.

I have done an ipconfig /all on both machines whilst it was working then after it stops done at again but when I compared the results I cannot see any difference. :/

Any help would be awesome at this stage.

A:Ethernet gaming (crossover cable) with wifi internet.

Ovbious question perhaps but why not just use Ethernet for the one being used for gaming?
Plug in Ethernet, turn off WiFi.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/72567-ethernet-gaming-crossover-cable-wifi-internet.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello Without too much information I'm learning how to use network. using Using WIFI between whilst Ethernet Cable devices Beckhoff hardware I have a motor rigged up to a PLC that is programmable via Ethernet using a software called Twincat I'm a hardware person so hooking it up was no problem But I'm venturing out into the world of PLC programming which I'm finding quite new and difficult I use Google YouTube internet services to aid me in learning this The problem is to connect with the PLC my Ethernet port needs to Using Ethernet Cable between devices whilst using WIFI network. be active Whilst connected whilst programming I'd like to connect to the internet via WIFI I've found a multitude of forums with instructions to change the priority of the network connections using metrics and all that but none of the solutions allow me to connect to both Is it really impossible to connect with a device via Ethernet whilst connected to the internet using WIFI I don't know the exact specs for all the different hardware cards on my laptop but its a HP ZBook running windows Much obliged

A:Using Ethernet Cable between devices whilst using WIFI network.

You may need a crossover cable.

How is everything connected ?

A router ? A switch ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/394041-using-ethernet-cable-between-devices-whilst-using-wifi-network.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello folks,

This is not exactly Windows 10 issue but a networking issue that I need some help with.

I am in a situation, where I need to use ethernet cable connection but there is no physical ethernet port to connect to, but there is ample wifi. I have this pocket router, Amazon.com: TP-LINK TL-WR702N Wireless N150 Travel Router, Nano Size, Router/AP/Client/Bridge/Repeater Modes, Up to 150Mbps, USB Powered: Computers Accessories which I think can be used for this purpose. I just want to confirm, it is indeed possible.

Many thanks in advance.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/51622-connecting-wifi-physical-router-ethernet-cable-use.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I recently used a program Autoruns,, and deleted some startup things I shouldn't have.. Since then I cant connect to internet, the troubleshooter for wireless adapter says the Windows wireless service is not running on this computer (WLAN Autoconfig service) and fails to start the service.
I notice on windows task manager there are only about 13 Processes running and there are usually about 20, and on Services there are about 40 running and about 100 or more stopped services. Thanks for the help

Also on startup now I have a pop up on bottom saying, Failed to connect to a windows service. Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service. This problem prevents standard users from logging on to the system. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond. And the startup and logon time is really long now

A:Windows 7 can't connect to internet through Wifi or ethernet cable

Sounds like you deleted the network drivers, I did this once and ill be honest unless someone here knows a trick, or you have a CD with drivers you are going to have to have a hell of a time unless you know the name of the hardware and download the right driver, thats my guess. best of luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-cant-connect-to-internet-through-wifi-or-ethernet-cable.200026/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi there I don't like a load of LAN cables everywhere and quot She who must be LAN devices even (via ETHERNET - Bridge) Wifi Cable for free obeyed quot was complaining about number of boxes gadgets flashing lights etc under the TV so I've moved the two servers out of the way and just have the cable box main router so this I found was a really woman friendly solution for masses of LAN cable etc etc If you have fast Wifi and you have some Ethernet only gear connected away from your Router Cablebox you can use a quot Wireless Bridge quot -- It's possible to quot Hobble quot some old routers via DD-WRT but not all routers do that and you might LAN Cable free - even for ETHERNET devices (via Wifi Bridge) want to use fast wifi connectors Some modern cheap routers now allow quot Wireless Bridging quot too You need to set the second router up as your wireless bridge and then plug the LAN cables from your devices into that router which will connect wirelessly to your network I found this Router actually very good -- also works on new ac protocol up to Mbs in the GHZ band so plenty for your server streaming devices IPlugged the NAS'es Ethernet connectors into the lan connects on the quot Bridge Router quot -- works fine This one was EUR inc Tax Edimax BR- AC Wi-Fi Ethernet LAN Dual-band Router - Grey It does work as WIFI Bridge -- you have to LAN Cable free - even for ETHERNET devices (via Wifi Bridge) ensure your router can do that function if you buy LAN Cable free - even for ETHERNET devices (via Wifi Bridge) a new router If you have fast wifi and want to get rid of LAN cables and move boxes like NAS boxes into spare closets etc out of the way then IMO this is the way to go Smart TV's Chromecast etc etc can all be controlled via smart phones too - avoiding a quot Handset jungle quot as well I had to go down this route as she absolutely put her foot down with one single more wire or quot box quot being installed near the main TV Cheers jimbo

A:LAN Cable free - even for ETHERNET devices (via Wifi Bridge)

We hooked a powerline 1200 with gigabit ports up to our tv and it does the job nicely. It lives behind the tv and therefore is out of site. My NAS is also powerlined 1200 connected.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/43717-lan-cable-free-even-ethernet-devices-via-wifi-bridge.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi everyone
I have an Acer aspire one netbook, model D255 which operates on Windows 7.
Having trouble connecting to wifi connections. It worked fine initially, I tried turning the wifi switch on and off, it tells me that there are no wifi connections available, however everyone else Is able to connect via Wifi on their computers and myself without a problem on other devices.
On troubleshooting it's says - that an Ethernet cable is broken or not plugged in
properly, and is unable to fix the problem, as obviously I am not connected via any cable.
I looked in network and it says that the Ethernet cable is unplugged and does not show any available networks.
Urgent help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Relevancy 72.24%

Any idea chaps why my laptop connects to the internet over wifi but not if I connect the ehternet cable directly into the back?
I have checked that the driver is installed (I think) and also that the box is ticked to allocate IP address automatically...

Relevancy 71.81%

Hi I have a ZyXEL wireless router - it has worked without issues for years However yesterday evening my wireless router suddenly stopped broadcasting a signal different PC s and a wifi dongle attached to our TV were suddenly all unable to find my network The loss with ethernet. of Sudden fine works wifi, WLAN light on the router was still lit up I connected my Acer Aspire Z laptop to the router via an ethernet cable and it worked fine I connected to the router and it said there were no errors I phoned ZyXEL support this morning and they dialled in confirmed the router was reporting it was working They installed inSSIDer on my PC and verified no signal was being picked up - but other local wireless networks Sudden loss of wifi, works fine with ethernet. were being picked up They suggested buying another modem as it was very old and could have just reached the end of its life So I bought a brand new Sitecom N x modem this morning connected it up and have the exact same problem All the right lights are on the modem solid WLAN DSL and Internet lights I can connect via an ethernet cable but none of my devices can find a the wireless browser but can find other networks and connect to them I ve spent hours on the phone today to various tech people and gone through channel switching changing encryption etc but nothing has worked The router is sat in the same place it has been for the last years and the laptop is inches from it but still no joy As far as I can see I ve ruled out PC problems - different PCs running different Windows versions - neither can find my network but can find others ISP issues - I can connect to the internet via ethernet Modem specific issues - I ve tried different modems both have the same problem - both manufacturers support say quot it does sound strange quot but cannot suggest what might be causing it Any ideas nbsp

Relevancy 71.81%

I have recently bought a router, the Fritz.Box Home Server 1&1 VDSL. I have set it up via wifi and can connect to the internet without a problem.
However, I would like to connect my PC to the router via LAN.
When I put the LAN cable into my PC and the router, both my PC and my router react and tell me there is a connection but they do not recognize each other. The router says there is something in LAN1 and the PC says there is a LAN cable without a connection. I cannot access the router via LAN, only via wifi.
My PC uses the Killer Network 2200e driver, I tried removing it and then manually adding it again, it did not work. My IPv4 settings seem fine, too, I have no idea what to do now.

A:Ethernet won't connect to router, wifi works fine

and welcome to the Forum

Lets take a peek at your network environment:

First:

Power Cycle everything . . Turn off the Modem, router and all pc's . . turn on the Modem and wait a few minutes for the lights to stabilize . . then turn on the router, then one pc at a time. See if you connect to the internet.

Then: check your browser's settings, remove any proxy settings if found, here's how

Then:

with the pc connected to the router, Click on Start . . Run . . type CMD

At the > prompt type or copy and paste the following command:

ipconfig/all > 0 & notepad 0

and press enter.

Come back here and Paste the results in a message.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB drive, or a CD-R disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/ethernet-wont-connect-to-router-wifi-works-fine-1103938.html
Relevancy 71.81%

I have recently bought a router, the Fritz.Box Home Server 1&1 VDSL. I have set it up via wifi and can connect to the internet without a problem.
However, I would like to connect my PC to the router via LAN.
When I put the LAN cable into my PC and the router, both my PC and my router react and tell me there is a connection but they do not recognize each other. The router says there is something in LAN1 and the PC says there is a LAN cable without a connection. I cannot access the router via LAN, only via wifi.
My PC uses the Killer Network 2200e driver, I tried removing it and then manually adding it again, it did not work. My IPv4 settings seem fine, too, I have no idea what to do now.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/ethernet-wont-connect-to-router-wifi-works-fine-1103938.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hello Firstly let me apologise if this question is repeated elsewhere but I could not find anything identical to it I have an Acer laptop WiFi Ethernet Whilst Connected Can't Cable Browse Internet and connect from this to the internet via Can't Browse WiFi Internet Whilst Ethernet Cable Connected a CDMA connection provided by the local I live in Thailand version of a Novatel MiFi modem This works just fine for internet Can't Browse WiFi Internet Whilst Ethernet Cable Connected browsing and I simultaneously use P P software to download UK TV stuff I also have a wired network in my house and on this I have a Gb NAS drive There is a wireless router on the network but I am outside of it's range When I connect the network cable to connect to the NAS drive I am no longer able to browse the internet BUT the P P software still carries on working as before So therefore my laptop is still connected to the internet via the Wifi network So why does my browser think otherwise Normally I use Google Chrome but I have also tried IE and this suffers from the same fate Can't Browse WiFi Internet Whilst Ethernet Cable Connected Any suggestions would be much appreciated Alan

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f120/cant-browse-wifi-internet-whilst-ethernet-cable-connected-601433.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi there,

The laptop I have is an asus P550C, windows 7.

This laptop came pre-installed with Mcafee Antivirus protection for a limited amount of time. Wifi was working perfectly fine although there were occasions where the connection would disconnect by itself. After the free-trial ended, I did not want to buy the packaged they were advertising so I went to my Control Panel and uninstalled Mcafee. This was when the problem started to occur. The internet access icon had a red x and when I went to diagnose the problem, it said that I needed to connect via an ethernet cable. Since then, I have connected it with an ethernet and internet works and I have also installed AVG's free antivirus software.

I have tried to
type: ipconfig /flushdns
type: nbtstat -R
type: netsh int reset all
type: netsh int ip reset
type: netsh winsock reset

But I still cannot connect via wifi. Please help

A:Wifi has stopped working but still able to connect to internet via ethernet cable

C:\Users\jay>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : jay-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : vlan1.phub.net.cable.rogers.com

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 54-35-30-05-36-68
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : vlan1.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : BC-EE-7B-28-57-D7
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9dfa:dcc6:3d3b:ae86%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.20(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : March-27-15 4:14:52 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : March-28-15 4:14:52 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 247262843
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1A-51-D7-D4-BC-EE-7B-28-57-D7

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.vlan1.phub.net.cable.rogers.com:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : vlan1.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.{A9DA0935-EE1F-4A59-8A97-DDA13A7DFFEA}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:90d7:2c47:1b6c:9c1d:d26b(Pref
erred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2c47:1b6c:9c1d:d26b%14(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Users\jay

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-has-stopped-working-but-still-able-to-connect-to-internet-via-ethernet-cable.210787/
Relevancy 70.95%

I have a Win system Everything was working until a few days ago and then the Ethernet connection stopped The activity LEDs work but the Ethernet will not connect The Wifi works fine through the same router as the Ethernet is plugged into Here is what I did so far Rebooted PC full power cycle Rebooted router MSCONFIG to disable all unknown services and apps Replaced Ethernet cable Tried a different on Unidentified works fine - Ethernet Network Windows Wifi 7 - port Confirmed Ethernet driver is latest version Deleted Ethernet driver anyway and reinstalled Reset IP Stack Set TCP IPv to static IP and defined the DNS server Confirmed the adapter's advanced settings were Windows 7 - Unidentified Network on Ethernet - Wifi works fine correct Connected to a USB Ethernet adapter that I know works and has worked before on Windows 7 - Unidentified Network on Ethernet - Wifi works fine this PC Nothing I did in the above list worked - Windows 7 - Unidentified Network on Ethernet - Wifi works fine Ethernet does not connect The activity LEDs are working The Network Connections shows a plugged-in Ethernet as an Unidentified Network Here is the IPCONFIG ALL Quote Windows IP Configuration Host Name London Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Broadcast IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address C- -D -B - -E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe dc a ea c d Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - - D-E - C- -D -B - -E DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description ASIX AX A USB to Fast Ethernet Ada pter Physical Address - - B- - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R Centrino R Wireless-N Physical Address BC- - -CE-CA- A DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained December- - PM Lease Expires December- - PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - - D-E - C- -D -B - -E DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Bluetooth Device Personal Area Network Physical Address BC- - -CE-CA- E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap F BE -BD - D - E - E F Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap E F A - C - C- DE- A DDA FFD Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes I am a total loss I thought it was a hardware problem at first but the fact that it does not work on a USB Ethernet adapter tells me the problem lies somewhere in Windows Any help is appreciated Konacq

A:Windows 7 - Unidentified Network on Ethernet - Wifi works fine

What router is it and have you tried plugging your modem into the pc it self to after rebooting both devices sans router? Could your router have like enabled mac filtering perhaps?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/387345-windows-7-unidentified-network-ethernet-wifi-works-fine.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi There I recently moved house and got Virgin internet not wireless All Wifi ethernet Intel works and working, PC phones does. other with a new router modem I have an oldish laptop whose wireless has always worked Since setting everything up with the new router the wireless doesn t work When plugging in the ethernet cable everything is fine I know it isn t the router as I have a mac Intel Wifi not working, ethernet does. All other phones and PC wireless works and a bunch of iphones and ipads hooked up I have googled this to death and updated all the drivers of the laptop restarted the wifi card updated everything I could on this laptop and I still can t figure out why the wifi wont connect I hope that you can help Details are below Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Genuine Intel R CPU U GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Mobile Intel R Series Express Chipset Family Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Acer Aspire T Antivirus Sophos Anti-Virus Updated and Enabled Ip Config file Run without the Ethernet cable plugged in Windows IP Configuration Host Name Jo-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R Centrino R Wireless-N Physical Address - E- - -DC-EE DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Con troller NDIS Physical Address - F- -B - E-FC DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap E E -E D- F E- EE- E AF EBD Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap F F A- A - FB-ABE - AF E E Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

A:Intel Wifi not working, ethernet does. All other phones and PC wireless works

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/intel-wifi-not-working-ethernet-does-all-other-phones-and-pc-wireless-works.1106926/
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi guys - setting up computers in my new home and have got the wifi working fine with my BT connect wifi Router to Ethernet Cannot via BTHub3 but Wireless works - Home Hub router works for laptops mobile devices etc Have been trying to connect via Ethernet for a laptop and home pc for a faster more reliable connection but it doesn't seem to be working When plugged in the Network and Sharing Centre simply displays the loading blue circle with 'identifying' but no network access When clicking on the Local Area Connection Status both IPv and IPv connectivity state no network access but I can't seem to find Cannot connect via Ethernet to BTHub3 Wireless Router - but wifi works any hardware problems on the laptop The same issue occurs for other laptops at home and I know my laptop works with Ethernet at work Running ipconfig all shows that DHCP is enabled I checked this on the properties tab for the IPvs autoconfiguration is enabled I can add in a copy and paste of the whole ipconfig all if that's helpful - 'media disconnected' shows for Tunnel adapters but I don't really understand what they are If anyone could help at all I'd be really grateful

A:Cannot connect via Ethernet to BTHub3 Wireless Router - but wifi works

Could be that the router is only set to wifi.
go to your router setting page open it (192.168.0.1) check the settings there,
password is probably admin if you havn't changed it, please do change it if you havn't.

Or plan B reset the router

Roy

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/377034-cannot-connect-via-ethernet-bthub3-wireless-router-but-wifi-works.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Debating on going wireless or not Have an Asus M A TD EVO that has RTL E PCIe Gigabit LAN controller featuring AI NET So Gigabit Im thinking at least I am wire into my router which puts out high speed and low ping to wireless Standard Ethernet cables supply the data pipeline not sure what the transfer speed is on them If anyone can let me know cable ethernet card wifi speed questions question with and Network that would be great I have been eyeballing the super speed ethernet cables but not sure if it would solve the ping issues I have with desktop being too high and the cost for a ' line Tried finding a wireless card that handles N network and Network speed and ethernet cable questions with wifi card question Ghz for my dual band What is the standard ethernet cable speed Can the standard ethernet cable from router to computer be causing high ping have second computer with ' cable same issue Would it be better to go wireless and forego the wired ethernet cable What wireless card would you recommend

A:Network speed and ethernet cable questions with wifi card question

UGH

1- what kind of cable? cat 5, cat5 E, cat 6?

2-Yes if cheap, old, or not shielded.

3-Not if you are transfering large amounts of data on your internal LAN

4-An 802.11 "N" card

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/218711-network-speed-ethernet-cable-questions-wifi-card-question.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I m having a problem with my internet connection via wifi One day my laptop simply refused to connect The day before no problem uninstalls wifi, connection going from LAN Losing cable adapter internet Ethernet to I can connect by using the LAN cable directly connecting into Losing internet connection going from LAN cable to wifi, Ethernet adapter uninstalls ADSL router but when I try without the LAN cable plugged in Losing internet connection going from LAN cable to wifi, Ethernet adapter uninstalls via wifi there is no connection What I have also noticed is that the Ethernet adapter Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabyte Ethernet v does not appear load when I am not plugged in via cable This was Losing internet connection going from LAN cable to wifi, Ethernet adapter uninstalls not the case when everything was working fine Even to the point that it appears when I am on cable but when I disconnect the cable the Broadcom card disappears from my Device Manager I have tried to update the driver but cannot find a higher version than anywhere Note that in the nd case with LAN cable the Broadcom Ethernet adapter appears while in the first case it doesn t Any ideas on how to resolve the Ethernet adapter issue I could not really figure out how to update the driver properly I tried downloading it from HP but the system says it cannot find a more recent version or even the one I have now Here is my Ipconfig for both cases Without LAN cable plugged in tryingt to access only via WiFi router Windows IP Configuration Host Name Filip Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List home Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix home Description Intel R PRO Wireless ABG Networ k Connection Physical Address - - - F- A- A Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained May Lease Expires May C gt ping google com Ping request could not find host google com Please check the name and try again With LAN cable connected directly to ADSL routerC gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Filip Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List home Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix home Description Intel R PRO Wireless ABG Networ k Connection Physical Address - - - F- A- A Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained May Lease Expires May Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Physical Address - - -C - C-D Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server nbsp

A:Losing internet connection going from LAN cable to wifi, Ethernet adapter uninstalls

Hi there,

at first check out those possibilities:
When you open your network connections and go to the properties of your Lan-Connection (Cable) uncheck the box in which is says that you should be warned if this connection has low connectivity. Do that also at your wifi connection.

After that deactivate your Cable connection if you try to connect via Wifi.

greetz
Fraki

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/losing-internet-connection-going-from-lan-cable-to-wifi-ethernet-adapter-uninstalls.568852/
Relevancy 70.95%

Whenever I unplug from the router and go upstairs, I can't connect to my wi-fi. The problem also persists downstairs unless I am connected by ethernet. It's been happening for about 2 days. At first the wi-fi would jump in and out randomly and quickly but now it simply wont connect. Is it a virus or how can I fix it?

A:Wifi doesn't connect unless directly connected to router by ethernet cable

You might just need to restart your router / WiFI AP to resolve that issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-doesnt-connect-unless-directly-connected-to-router-by-ethernet-cable.202219/
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi Guru's Internet works on and off with Built in Wifi -laptop but works good with Adapter It happened so many times Sometimes it used to come back to normal when with off good with Adapter Internet and works -laptop in works but Wifi on Built i switch my Modem amp router off and turn Internet works on and off with Built in Wifi -laptop but works good with Adapter it on this time it does not work even if i restart my modem and router But it works perfectly fine when i attach a Wiressless adapter to Internet works on and off with Built in Wifi -laptop but works good with Adapter Laptop Any help is appreciated Posting Minitool box log amp FSS log below MiniToolBox by Farbar Version - - Ran by Vinodh administrator on - - at Running from C Documents and Settings Vinodh My Documents Downloads Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack X Boot Mode Normal Flush DNS Windows IP Configuration Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache IE Proxy Settings Proxy is not enabled No Proxy Server is set Reset IE Proxy Settings IE Proxy Settings were reset FF Proxy Settings Reset FF Proxy Settings Firefox Proxy settings were reset Hosts content localhost IP Configuration Net Adapter Connection Connected Realtek RTL x Family Fast Ethernet NIC Local Area Connection Media disconnected Intel reg PRO Wireless ABG Network Connection Wireless Network Connection Media disconnected ---------------------------------- Interface IP Configuration ---------------------------------- pushd interface ip Interface IP Configuration for Local Area Connection set address name Local Area Connection source dhcp set dns name Local Area Connection source dhcp register PRIMARY set wins name Local Area Connection source dhcp Interface IP Configuration for Wireless Network Connection set address name Wireless Network Connection source dhcp set dns name Wireless Network Connection source dhcp register PRIMARY set wins name Wireless Network Connection source dhcp popd End of interface IP configuration Windows IP Configuration Host Name vinu Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Description Realtek RTL x Family Fast Ethernet NIC Physical Address - F-B -CA- -AF Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Description Intel reg PRO Wireless ABG Network Connection Physical Address - - -BA- B-DD Server UnKnown Address Ping request could not find host google com Please check the name and try again Server UnKnown Address Ping request could not find host yahoo com Please check the name Internet works on and off with Built in Wifi -laptop but works good with Adapter and try again Pinging with bytes of data Reply from bytes time lt ms TTL Reply from bytes time lt ms TTL Ping statistics for Packets Sent Received Lost loss Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds Minimum ms Maximum ms Average ms Interface List x MS TCP Loopback interface x f b ca af Realtek RTL x Family Fast Ethernet NIC - Packet Scheduler Miniport x ba b dd Intel reg PRO Wireless ABG Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport Active Routes Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric Persistent Routes None Winsock entries Catalog C Windows System mswsock dll Microsoft Corporation Catalog C Windows System winrnr dll Microsoft Corporation Catalog C Windows System mswsock dll Microsoft Corporation Catalog C Program Files Bonjour mdnsNSP dll Apple Inc Catalog C Windows system mswsock dll Microsoft Corporation Catalog C Windows system mswsock dll Microsoft Corporation Catalog C Windows system mswsock dll Microsoft Corporation Catalog C Windows system mswsock dll Microsoft Corporation Catalog C Windows system mswsock dll Microsoft Corporation Catalog C Windows system mswsock dll Microsoft Corporation Catalog C Windows system mswsock dll Microsoft Corporation Catalog C Windows system mswsock dll Microsoft Corporation Catalog C Windows system mswsock dll Microsoft Corporation ... Read more

A:Internet works on and off with Built in Wifi -laptop but works good with Adapter

Hello are you still having issues? 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/486181/internet-works-on-and-off-with-built-in-wifi-laptop-but-works-good-with-adapter/
Relevancy 70.52%

I just ran an ethernet cable from my router, in my office, all the way upstairs across the house to my bedroom to hook up to my ps3. I finally crimped the ends and went to test it and it doesn't work. I made sure that the wires went into the connectors correctly. I cant figure out what is wrong! Any ideas?? Thanks in advance!

Relevancy 69.66%

Hey,
I have an Aspire One netbook that I use that connects with ethernet lan at home no problem. At work it still says it's connected "excellent" but I get no internet service.

The only difference this amateur has noticed is that an "Internet Gateway" icon opens at home, that doesn't here (in Network Connections).

All my friends use hte net on their laptops just fine. is there anything I can check? Any way to know if my computer is blocking the connection?

Thanks in advance

Relevancy 69.66%

hello Recently my uncle redid my other laptop to its original out-of-the-box state due to slowness Afterwards when my father plugged in the ethernet cable of Motorola s SBV SURFboard Cable Modem we use the optimum service into the computer the computer icon at the bottom right of the I internet connect ! S P E A H when work L cable even does not ethernet P E the L E screen indicated that the network was unidentified and has only local connections---therefore no internet On the laptop I m on right now the network is correctly recognized P L E A S E H E L P ! internet does not work even when I connect the ethernet cable and has both local AND internet connections Why is that I concluded that since the other laptop is quot redone quot then I must reinstall the installation cd of the modem and I did today All went well in the installation process until the near end where the cd automatically checked to see how the connection was btw the comp and modem It resulted with an error stating something like that invalid or something I forgot Thus my installation attempts of the modem on the other laptop failed I tried to reboot both the comp and modem but still failed I don t understand Why is there limited connectivity I don t even have perfect wireless connectivity I mean both of my laptops have the wireless capability and I can go around the house with the working one and find linkys with one bar of signal But I don t have the wireless modem or something that gives stable wireless connectivity to either of them---only the motorola modem that gives internet to only of the right now What should I do The solution shouldn t be too difficult I am quite young and did my best to solve this problem So I now await for the knowledge of you professionals to aid me thank you nbsp

A:P L E A S E H E L P ! internet does not work even when I connect the ethernet cable

You want to first establish a connection from the laptop to the Motorola modem, with the Linksys router out of the loop. Is the laptop running Windows Vista or XP? When you go to Network Connections or Network and Sharing Center, do you see a LAN?

If you are connecting via an ethernet cord to a cable modem, then you would not need to install any modem. The disk you have for your Motorola modem may be for installing USB drivers in case you were using a USB cable.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/p-l-e-a-s-e-h-e-l-p-internet-does-not-work-even-when-i-connect-the-ethernet-cable.837566/
Relevancy 69.66%

hi there my wireless through cable work will not My only ethernet internet internet was My internet will only work through ethernet cable not wireless running fine until yesterday when I tried to connect to the internet the message quot windows can t communicate with the device or resource primary dns server quot came up I followed all methods on this website http answers microsoft com en-us w -b d ec fae but none of them worked for me I then returned my laptop to factory settings in the hope it will work but that didnt not work I then realised it works through the ethernet cable but not wireless I ran ipconfig all with my ethernet cable in and this is the result SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME THANKYOU Windows IP Configuration Host Name Nida-TOSH Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek RTL CE Wireless LAN n PC I-E NIC Physical Address D -DF- A-EB- -B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe d fccc e c eb Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained October Lease Expires October Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -EB- A- A-B - -F -D - -E DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Physical Address B - -F -D - -EF DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap EEB-B - C-AC - CEB F Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address ef fb affc eb Pre erred Link-local IPv Address fe affc eb Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter isatap DF D AB- BF- FA - CB -DFA C Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

A:My internet will only work through ethernet cable not wireless

There may be an issue on the ISP side or router side since restoring to defaults didnt help. Or it could be an issue with the network adapter. Or it could be an issue with the firewall.

Try downloading running these tools (download via ethernet, run on wireless): Network Fix-It Tool (right click on the internet bars on the task bar in the bottom right hand side of the screen, and click "troubleshoot network...") and Firewall Fix-It Tool.

Did you install anything on your PC before this happened? Did Windows install any updates?

Try disabling your AntiVirus. That may be the issue. I doubt it though.

Tell me if any of these solutions help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-internet-will-only-work-through-ethernet-cable-not-wireless.197067/
Relevancy 69.66%

hi there my internet was running fine until yesterday when i tried to connect to the internet the message quot windows can t communicate with the device or resource primary dns server quot came up i followed all methods on this website http answers microsoft com en-us evice-or c d- b- c- -b d ec fae but none of them worked for me i then returned my laptop to factory settings in the hope it will work but that didnt not work i then realised it works through the ethernet cable but not wireless i ran ipconfig all with my ethernet cable in and this is the result SOMEONE PLEASE ethernet cable will only not internet wireless My work through HELP ME THANKYOU Windows IP Configuration Host Name Nida-TOSH Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek RTL CE Wireless LAN n PC I-E NIC Physical Address D -DF- A-EB- -B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe d fccc e c eb My internet will only work through ethernet cable not wireless Preferred IPv Address My internet will only work through ethernet cable not wireless Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained October Lease Expires October Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -EB- A- A-B - -F -D - -EF DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Physical Address B - -F -D - -EF DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap EEB-B - C-AC - CEB F C A Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address ef fb affc eb Pref erred Link-local IPv Address fe affc eb Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter isatap DF D AB- BF- FA - CB -DFA C D CA Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - My internet will only work through ethernet cable not wireless - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

A:My internet will only work through ethernet cable not wireless

The DNS settings you have appear to be for Virgin Media in UK

who is your ISP

can we see an ipconfig /all when you are connected by cable and working please

you may want to check you DNS settings and see if changing those to use google open DNS resolves the issue

Google public DNS
Note using google public DNS servers from outside the US may actually slow performace - so use the following as a test to identify DNS issues - if these resolve the issues , then we need to investigate further to optimise the use of DNS
Google public DNS
https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Theres also a link on how to setup those DNS IP address up on a PC
http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

Then once you have set up those DNS entries

Flush & register DNS

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):
In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands:

Ipconfig/flushdns
ipconfig/registerdns

If you receive the message
The requested operation requires elevation.
Then please open the command prompt as administrator
Start> All Programs> Accessories and then right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

now type the command again

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-internet-will-only-work-through-ethernet-cable-not-wireless.1110567/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi all,
i have a desktop with windows xp home edition.
i currently have to use a blue usb cable from my internet gateway into my computer as my ethernet cable will not work.
do i need to install a driver or something for it to work?

any suggestions will be appreciated

A:Solved: Cant get yellow ethernet cable to work

Hey, spend $5 and get another ethernet cable. USB connections are a pain.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cant-get-yellow-ethernet-cable-to-work.859942/
Relevancy 69.66%

Wifi suddenly Solved: Wifi still but suddenly works Ethernet, with iPhone/iPad stopped wor working, stopped working works with Ethernet cable works with iPad and iPhone but not with Sony Vaio laptop wifi Have spent hours on the phone Solved: Wifi suddenly stopped working, but works with Ethernet, iPhone/iPad still wor with Internet Service Provider who went through all settings and checked everything checked CMD prompts and changed SSID created new channels etc I m using Windows and have McAfee What could have caused this to suddenly stop working How do I get it to work again I have checked my wifi is still on it still connects to the wireless modem router D-Link and at start up has a yellow triangle with exclamation mark inside then that disappears and says internet is connected on internet bars icon but no browsing is possible at all with any of my browsers chrome Firefox explorer Have disabled McAfee firewall have restarted in safe mode but nothing is helping Have tried on different wifi connections with same problem I restored to the last date I could use wifi and it didn t change anything Help please nbsp

A:Solved: Wifi suddenly stopped working, but works with Ethernet, iPhone/iPad still wor

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-wifi-suddenly-stopped-working-but-works-with-ethernet-iphone-ipad-still-wor.1118774/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hello, i use a toshiba satellite laptop here are my specs.
https://gyazo.com/984c41491a3603c408f40cc4446008df
My problem is that my laptop only works when there is an ethernet cord plugged into it. my network icon looks like this
https://gyazo.com/d77496c5b25dd4e1f050b293bca1c26e
all that show up for drivers are this
https://gyazo.com/e060484754c8af99107a359022127b34
i dont know why wifi does not work on this laptop... its basically a pc then -_-

also heres what i find under network in device manager |

https://gyazo.com/d778175446f08b6d756676401a92a794

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME FIX MY LAPTOP, NO WIFI IS KILLING ME, BTW ALL MY OTHER DEVICES WORK PERFECTLY FINE ON THE WIFI, MY MODEM IS A HOME HUB 2000 AND MY PROVIDER IS BELL

A:Wifi won't work ONLY ETHERNET!!??!?!?

If you need anymore info please tell me and ill post screen shots of it asap

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-wont-work-only-ethernet.1155997/
Relevancy 68.8%

I have a combination modem router supplied by my internet service My main floor desktop computer is second plugged Solved: ethernet Wireless in work when cable won't connected directly via Ethernet cable Two laptops an ipad and a couple of TV s connect wirelessly I have Solved: Wireless won't work when second ethernet cable plugged in a large house with an office in the basement which is pretty much underground and on Solved: Wireless won't work when second ethernet cable plugged in the other end of the house so I recently ran a second Solved: Wireless won't work when second ethernet cable plugged in Ethernet cable from the upstairs modem router to a desktop computer in my downstairs office The connection itself worked fine I did notice however that my wireless connections would not work when the second Ethernet cable was plugged into the modem router When I unplugged it wireless started working again Could the problem be with the Ethernet cable It is a CAT e cable which I made myself since I needed a custom length It is my first one so of course I am doubting myself It works fine except for the problem it creates with my wireless devices My level of expertise is a little more than beginner but I m not quite sure I would call myself intermediate yet either nbsp

A:Solved: Wireless won't work when second ethernet cable plugged in

Check the settings for the ethernet and wireless devices in that basement desktop.

Some computers will disable one device when the other device is being used.

TerryNet and etaf and a few others are the networking experts here, so one of them will probably jump in to help you.

--------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-wireless-wont-work-when-second-ethernet-cable-plugged-in.1151157/
Relevancy 68.8%

I have a Dell Studio with Vista and Wifi capability I ve had the computer for a year and a half and I ve never ethernet wirelessly, connect Solved: Wifi working, suddenly but wont stopped works had a major problem with wireless connection before Any problem has been purely because of a low connection strength or because I was in a classroom I m a college student in which multiple people were trying to Solved: Wifi suddenly stopped working, wont connect wirelessly, but ethernet works connect at once Eventually it always worked I was home for the weekend and connected to my primary wireless connection and all of a sudden I lost connection and could not reconnect I tried restarting and shutting off both the computer and wireless router I tried resetting the wireless router I tried turning on and off the Wifi button on my computer Still cannot connect I plugged in an ethernet cable into my internet directly from the router and it runs fine that is how I am on the internet on my laptop at the moment I will not always have access to an ethernet cable when I go back to school later today and I have a project I need to research so I m kind of in a rush to get this figured out Also it s just so much easier connecting wireless and obviously I d like this fixed Anyway I read up on other people s similar problem and I don t know if I changed something or messed up but now whenever i click to view Wireless Connections the router for my house has a red x next to it and says quot The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network quot Even before it said that I could not connect And it used to have full signal strength It would say it can t connect and I could either view other connections and or try again or diagnose the problem If hit to view others I would try again to no avail If I hit diagnose it would say that there may be a problem with the wireless internet or something like that and then there would be three options two of them to plug in set up a LAN connection and a third to quot view troubleshooting for low wireless connections quot but I ve tried the last option before and all of those steps even though I know the connection is strength I know a little about computers but not a lot especially with internet connections If you need me to find out any information or post anything else that would help let me know Any help would be greatly appreciated I really need this fixed ASAP so please let me know Thank you nbsp

A:Solved: Wifi suddenly stopped working, wont connect wirelessly, but ethernet works

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-wifi-suddenly-stopped-working-wont-connect-wirelessly-but-ethernet-works.883599/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi! I have a problem. I have wifi connection on my laptop but it doesn`t work now. I need to plug ethernet cable in my laptop in order to have an internet. And wifi lost all known networks. Can you help me?

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/wifi-doesnt-work-ethernet-does-4597111/
Relevancy 68.37%

What the title says. I bought a TP-Link WDR4300 and installed it, and everything works perfectly on every device except for my laptop (Windows 8.1 Lenovo G480, running Windows Defender as AV). When connecting wirelessly, I get access to the router, but it shows "limited", and it doesn't even let me get into the setup page (192.168.0.1) and when I ping it, every packet is lost. Ethernet, meanwhile, works perfectly. I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to fix it.

I'd like to attach the ipconfig outputs but my command prompt is in spanish and some of the characters are missing in the .txt file, too. I don't know how to get the file in english.

@jobeard I saw one thread you solved in which you said to mention you so you could help. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks beforehand for any and all suggestions.

A:WiFi doesn't work, Ethernet does

Hi, You will always have to use the ethernet (Cat 5) cable to get into your router's software, at 192.168.0.1, all routers are set up like that for security reasons.
It's done that way so that no one can change your settings, passwords etc using a wireless connection, you must use the Cat 5 cable to make setup & security changes.
Did you get any setup software with the TP Link router?
If you get good internet access using Windows 8.1 using the ethernet cable, it
might point to possible wireless driver issues.
It might be worth downloading the latest driver for your WDR4300 from the TP-link website;
http://www.tp-link.es/support/download/?model=TL-WDR4300&version=V1

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-doesnt-work-ethernet-does.205530/
Relevancy 68.37%

Most days i power on my pc and both ethernet and wifi have that not responding yellow triangle beside them If see this then usually it wont work for time? Ethernet WiFi most and don't the of work the rest of the day and may or may not work the next day There have been times when neither ethernet or wifi would work for a full week and im stuck using my phone hotspot When i use troubleshoot its says quot One or more Ethernet and WiFi don't work most of the time? network protocols are missing on this computer quot this is on windows When i was previously on windows the error would be quot Your computer appears to be correctly configured Ethernet and WiFi don't work most of the time? but the device or resource microsoft com is not responding quot The WiFi works on everything else in my house so I guess it's a problem with my PC It has been like this for quite a while now and i have no idea how to fix it so any help would be appreciated Thank you

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/74970-ethernet-wifi-dont-work-most-time.html
Relevancy 68.37%

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 380 @ 2.53GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3766 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1755 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 597065 MB, Free - 490266 MB;
Motherboard: Acer, Aspire 5742
Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012, Not Updated

Please help me, I don't know what to do.
My internet connection suddenly stopped working and I don't know how to fix it, I've restarted the computer and unplugged the modem, amongst other things, but nothing seems to be working.
The only way I can have internet connection is with the ethernet cable, but it doesn't work without...

A:Solved: Can only connect to internet with ethernet cable, does not work wireless

you have marked this - solved - has the problem been resolved now

if not
have you made sure the wireless is switched on - often there's a physical switch or a combination of the FN + one of the F keys to control the wireless

post an ipconfig /all and xirrus screen shot
ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will now be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.

Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-inspectorguide-1-2-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

To post a screen shot of the active window.
1) hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
OR
2) if you are using Vista/Windows 7 you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-can-only-connect-to-internet-with-ethernet-cable-does-not-work-wireless.1067146/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi, my modem doesnt work when i plug 2nd ethernet cable in to it i am trying to link another pc to me modem but it just makes the lights flash and then doesnt work i tried it in different ports still doesnt work i also tried my xbox in it that doesnt work either iv have internet for 2 years and also plugged my xbox in now and agen and it worked fine but just recently doesnt want to work any ideas how to fix it ??
Thanks jake

Relevancy 67.51%

Hello I have a new PC notebook that my friend gave me It's name is quot Gigabook quot which is not very famous I suspect it is a small company that combines hardware into a notebook Anyways I have installed Windows on it but found out that the internet doesn't work for some reason Ethernet Can't Work Doesn't WiFi Turn And On I can't turn on the WiFi to find out my network and when I connect an Ethernet cable to the notebook nothing happens I thought it's the driver could download it and transfer it to the Can't Turn On WiFi And Ethernet Doesn't Work notebook via USB drive the problem is I can't find the software anywhere My network card is WAN Miniport I can check any other hardware here it's just that you won't find anything about Gigabook P S Can't Turn On WiFi And Ethernet Doesn't Work a this is my first post on your forums please forgive me if I posted in the wrong place or made other noob mistake b I come from the Mac and Linux world so I don't have a lot experience on this OS I'll appreciate any help Thank you very much in advance

A:Can't Turn On WiFi And Ethernet Doesn't Work

What was the original OS? Did you run the Win 7 Upgrade Advisor before you installed Win 7? It's possible the wifi/Ethernet cards do not have available Win 7 drivers. What is the model number of your machine?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/251181-cant-turn-wifi-ethernet-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I am having a cable internet connection at my home and connect to internet using PPPoE.
when the cable guy came to my home he got me connected to the internet on my PC, and that's working still now.
but when i connect the same ethernet cable to my laptop it gaves me a error 619, i called them they said that it is working fine.

is there any way i can connect my laptop to same ethernet cable, and i don't have a wireless router, and don't want to buy one. so is there any way i can use same ethernet cable without using different accounts on two PCs.

one of my friend suggested me to try cloning MAC id, but i am not sure does this work?

A:Solved: cannot use my ethernet cable on my laptop

that sounds like a vpn error. If you are connecting straight from your router, you shouldn't need to use vpn, just connect and go.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cannot-use-my-ethernet-cable-on-my-laptop.1128897/
Relevancy 66.65%

How do I setup a direct connection between my laptop running Win2000 and my pc running XP. I don't want to use a router, I just want a direct connection using a ethernet crossover cable. I can't seem to find any step by step guides on how to do this. Hope someone can help.

Relevancy 66.65%

Hey guys....
i have little problem....for past little while i try to connect the laptop to the PC to transfer files...but i can't.....i try to follow the instructions from few sites...but i'm kinda stuck....i got both of them connected via ethernet cable...and when i get to "cmd" mode i ping and i get reply from both of them( pc and the laptop....both using XP) but i'm i think stuck right there

any help much appreciated

Relevancy 66.65%

So about a year my laptop got water on it ... send it to fix last week and it works now !
went to TWC to get a modem And the modem works pecfectly fine on My regualar Computer but no my Laptop
I doesnt even blink when i connect the ethernet cable ?
What can vb ethe problem??

A:Ethernet cable not Working on laptop>?

please do not duplicate posts here

continue on this thread
http://forums.techguy.org/networking/1121901-sony-vaio-wont-recognize-cable.html

closing here

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ethernet-cable-not-working-on-laptop.1121903/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi I am using a Dell Studio model This has happened recently cable recognize Laptop Ethernet can't I downloaded the Windows Live Essentials update yesterday and it prompted me to restart my laptop I meant to click quot Postpone quot but I clicked quot Restart quot accidentally This Laptop can't recognize Ethernet cable was in the middle of while I was running Firefox and running Winamp as far as I can remember So when the Laptop can't recognize Ethernet cable computer was back on I noticed I totally lost the internet connection Laptop can't recognize Ethernet cable Even though the CAT cable is connected the laptop does not recognize it at all It simply says quot Not Connected quot And just today I realized that whenever the Ethernet cable is connected to the computer the computer periodically every other second or so makes a faint buzzing noise This is something I had not noticed before I replaced the cable with a new one and the same thing still happens I think the modem is working fine since my roommate can access the internet On the modem where the lights should be on for my connection it is periodically blinking Anyone got an idea as to what is happening Thanks

A:Laptop can't recognize Ethernet cable

Quote: Originally Posted by schp

Hi I am using a Dell Studio 1557 model. This has happened recently:

I downloaded the Windows Live Essentials update yesterday and it prompted me to restart my laptop. I meant to click "Postpone" but I clicked "Restart" accidentally. This was in the middle of while I was running Firefox and running Winamp (as far as I can remember).

So when the computer was back on I noticed I totally lost the internet connection. Even though the CAT5 cable is connected, the laptop does not recognize it at all. It simply says "Not Connected". And just today I realized that whenever the Ethernet cable is connected to the computer the computer periodically(every other second or so)makes a faint buzzing noise. This is something I had not noticed before. I replaced the cable with a new one and the same thing still happens.

I think the modem is working fine since my roommate can access the internet. On the modem where the lights should be on for my connection, it is periodically blinking.

Anyone got an idea as to what is happening?

Thanks

Check device manage for the network driver

Please go to start>search>type device manager.
Are there any "unknown devices" with yellow triangles on them?
Is you driver there , listed, and working?

If your driver is missing, or there is a yellow triangle on it, you will need to update it.
Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/119745-laptop-cant-recognize-ethernet-cable.html
Relevancy 66.65%

We have 2 laptops. Both can connect via wireless fine, but only one can connect using the Ethernet cable. When plugged into the laptop which doesn't work I get the computer with a yellow "exclamation mark" triangle, which says no internet access. The working laptop is using Vista and mine, the none working, uses Windows 7.

I'd be happy to use Skype or TV to sort out the problem.

Joe.

A:One laptop can connect via Ethernet cable but the other one cannot?

Joet, welcome to Sevenforums

This sounds like a driver issue. Can you give me the full name of your laptop so I might direct you where to find the right driver? If you are able to do this on your own, feel free.

It is a LAN driver you would be looking for, and not the wireless LAN.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/245775-one-laptop-can-connect-via-ethernet-cable-but-other-one-cannot.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I got a new laptop a few weeks ago, and the computer will not recognize that the ethernet cable is plugged in. I use my school's network, so the cable just plugs into the wall. I use Windows 7. All help is appreciated.

Relevancy 66.65%

I have a 6-month old Toshiba laptop that for about the first 3 months recognized my wired ethernet network. However, for a while now when I plug it in, nothing happens. I have had to use my desktop. I have tried the cable on the desktop and it works fine. In addition to my laptop, I have an HP desktop, also very new, and a 5- year old Mac, all plugged into a Linksys router. We have no WiFidown, so that's not an option. All my drivers are up-to-date, and I have tried enabling and disabling the ethernet and wifi ports.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Relevancy 66.65%

My HP ultrabook has been accessing the internet both through wireless and an ethernet cable until last week. For some reason it just stopped recognizing the ethernet cable. I really would like some assistance because I use it mostly at the halls of residence where my internet connection is through an ethernet cable. Please help.

Relevancy 66.65%

So here it is, I can use wi-fi, but I prefer a wired connection for faster download and less lag. Yesterday my laptop decided that he would not be able to recognize any ethernet cable and I don't know what to do. I tried to deactivate the wi-fi card, tried to reinstall and download the latest drivers, I even tried to use a usb to ethernet adapter. Nothing works pc won't see any ethernet cable connected. Please help.

A:Laptop won't recognize Ethernet Cable

Microsoft Windows [version 10.0.10240]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. Tous droits réservés.

C:\Users\Pc>ipconfig

Configuration IP de Windows
Carte Ethernet Ethernet 2 :

Statut du média. . . . . . . . . . . . : Média déconnecté
Suffixe DNS propre à la connexion. . . :

Carte Ethernet Ethernet 3 :

Carte réseau sans fil Connexion au réseau local* 3 :

Carte réseau sans fil Connexion réseau sans fil :

Suffixe DNS propre à la connexion. . . : home
Adresse IPv6 de liaison locale. . . . .: fe80::85e5:3774:40d7:e0ce%20
Adresse IPv4. . . . . . . . . . . . . .: 192.168.2.11
Masque de sous-réseau. . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Passerelle par défaut. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Carte Ethernet Ethernet :

Carte Tunnel isatap.home :

Suffixe DNS propre à la connexion. . . : home

Carte Tunnel Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface :

Adresse IPv6. . . . . . . . . . . . . .: 2001:0:9d38:6ab8:cc6:24eb:b9cf:c0c2
Adresse IPv6 de liaison locale. . . . .: fe80::cc6:24eb:b9cf:c0c2%3
Passerelle par défaut. . . . . . . . . : ::

C:\Users\Pc>

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-wont-recognize-ethernet-cable.1157432/
Relevancy 66.22%

So I ve currently got a Netgear R It worked great in my old house but I have tons of trouble with it in the place we moved into a year ago and it seems to be getting worse It s current location is marked in red in my shitty MS Paint map of the house and it s on top of a book shelf there I moved it there from a lower position hoping WiFi works want to me... it work! House Just My against sucks... to get My WiFi sucks... House works against me... Just want it to work! better signal upstairs but there was zero change It s pretty decent on the first floor but even then my wife s fruitDevices iPhone iPad mini MBP - old iPad seem to have issues with speed that my Android devices Nexus LG VK and my laptop Gateway P u don t have My son s desktop is also wireless Gigabyte GA-H GIGABYTE GAH N-WIFI motherboard and has no issues but it s about feet from the R We ve also got a couple first-gen Chromecasts that seem to get a little funky bandwidth-wise and drop resolution Everything else is wired my desktop XBox some Sony BD player When we get upstairs is where the problems get even worse Regardless of device we lose connection to the router intermittently but most of the time it will show connected but websites and apps that are using data take forever to load or just time out It s worse in the upper left-hand corner upstairs in the shitter where the toilet is As you know we men spend a good deal of time there so Intarwebnetz is important So I want something that just works and I want it to work for a price that won t cause my bank account to cry from loneliness I don t want special features I don t need it to spawn a cat that shoots lasers from its eyes I just need WiFi that works in all areas of my house I d ideally like to keep the whole shebang under due to the before mentioned crying bank account I ve seen some solutions from Ubiquiti that may come in around there but I d also like other options that you feel will do what I want What say you H Networking Cliffs Current wifi sucks I made a map of my house with MS Paint I need something that JUST WORKS on the cheap nbsp

https://hardforum.com/threads/my-wifi-sucks-house-works-against-me-just-want-it-to-work.1911110/
Relevancy 65.79%

So about months ago my internet got shut off for a Need connecting with laptop cable to help ethernet using desktop few days I was still able to connect to an open wifi from my house I then connected my laptop to my desktop using an Need help with connecting laptop to desktop using ethernet cable ethernet cable On the laptop all I had to do was go into the adapter properties and select to share the connection Everything worked perfectly Fast forward to now - the desktop refuses to connect to the laptop Same open wifi same laptop same desktop same ethernet cable but I get no connection It just says quot identifying quot forever and then sometimes the laptop gets an error about computers with the same IP address I tried the bridging method it did not work It shows I am both sending and receiving bytes on the desktop but it says quot no network connection quot and I can't do anything It's getting very frustrating to the point of kicking my beloved desktop to pieces Can anyone help

A:Need help with connecting laptop to desktop using ethernet cable

No solution but a question, are you using a Straight-through or Cross-over Ethernet cable? For direct connection you need the Cross-over. You can use a Switch with Straight-through cables.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/66049-need-help-connecting-laptop-desktop-using-ethernet-cable.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi all I really hope someone can help me with this before my head implodes I ve had dial-up for years but AOL said they could give me a broadband-quality internet service with a Speedtouch wireless router and an ethernet cable They sent the equipment through I set it up on one laptop at home and it worked fine - miraculous in fact really fast So then I tried to set it up on my partner s laptop Ran the installation software and it got to the point where you connect to connect Trying router via laptop to cable! Ethernet the laptop an Advent to the router and it said it couldn t connect Trying to connect laptop to router via Ethernet cable! The ethernet cable was securely plugged in at both ends but no ethernet light was displaying on the router I called Trying to connect laptop to router via Ethernet cable! AOL and they went through everything - the laptop has an ethernet card and the netware - sorry I really am a total beginner seemed OK ie didn t have any little crosses or question marks beside it when we looked at in in quot systems information quot So the AOL guy said I might need a new ethernet card But I don t see how that s the problem if there s already one in there and it seems to be functional I ll probably go try to buy an ethernet card but this has already cost me quite a bit mostly in phone calls to AOL and I was wondering Trying to connect laptop to router via Ethernet cable! if anyone has any ideas or can confirm that buying the new card is my best option I really appreciate any help you can give nbsp

Relevancy 65.79%

my year old Dell Studio laptop connects fine via wireless to home router and internet but I cannot connect through the ethernet cable I've done the troubleshooting disabled enabled the network adapter updated the drivers I'm using an ethernet cable which normally connects an XP so I know the cable's fine Device Manager says the Realtek PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller is working properly I found the Receive Side Scaling value Enabled so I Disabled that Shut off radio for wireless to I ethernet laptop through internet cable? connect How the do Centrino adapter Disabled wireless adapter too Restarted not only the laptop but also did a shutdown How do I connect laptop to internet through the ethernet cable? then restart of the entire FIOS with Asus Access Point home network with all devices shut How do I connect laptop to internet through the ethernet cable? down Checked BIOS setting didn't see any setting Disabled that appeared like the ethernet controller Can't do system restore I did a Repair installation of windows Home Premium last week but even before then the System Restore failed every time I've never been successful at getting a system restore to work on any XP or pc I've tried it on even though it's enabled and purports to work The laptop had been connected primarily maybe even exclusively via the wireless for years so I quot m not even sure the ethernet has ever been connected before I'd hate to buy a new ethernet controller card if i don't have to only to have the problem be software Any ideas thanks

A:How do I connect laptop to internet through the ethernet cable?

I'd say, inspect the ethernet port on the laptop for bent contact pins. Just for grins and giggles, try another cable. Try attaching the laptop to ANY other network via ethernet cable.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/305552-how-do-i-connect-laptop-internet-through-ethernet-cable.html