Windows Support Forum

New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB?

Q: New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB?

Hello everyone - I have just assembled a new build It will not power up I need a suggestion to figure out if the problem is the case or the motherboard This is a mini-itx build power-up: power New or Build MB? no supply case's The case is New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB? Linkworld LC - B This case comes with a volt watt external laptop-style power supply that plugs into the rear of the case just like New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB? a laptop power supply plugs into a laptop - a barrel connector Inside this power connection connects to a power supply component that is not like a regular ATX power supply but is on a printed-circuit board New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB? mounted on the case This has several capacitors and other stuff From that comes the -pin and -pin power supply lines for the motherboard I assume the -volt power supply for this external power supply unit is right since it came with the case It was watt The processor is an IBM t with TDP of watts Lower-powered CPUs can be put in a small so I assumed the power supply might be under-powered I ordered a -watt volt power supply with the right size barrel - and same polarity pos inside The MB is an ASRock H MV-ITX It is mini-itx form factor Still same problem Everything is connected correctly When I press the power-on button an external CD drive I have plugged-in spins up for a while But no power light comes on in the front of the case there are no POST beeps the fan for the CPU does not spin up No other signs of life So power is getting into the MB - the external CD drive is plugged into a USB socket in the rear panel of the MB After trying a watt and watt power supply I believe the problem cannot be the power supply cord Can it be that I have too little load I don t think so I plugged in another mm fan and an ol-fashion floppy drive just the power connection to add more load - same thing no power-up no POST nothing but the CD drive will spin up when I open-then-close it yet again So here is the help I need what else can I try -assuming the MB and case are fine is it more likely the case power supply is bad or the MB --Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB?

Well, I figured out the problem.
I am planning to re-do the older mini-itx system I have; it has gotten riddled with Trojan software for kids downloading games; it basically has been de-commissioned already.

So, I took the pico-psu power supply from that older computer, and hooked it up to the one I am making. Everything went perfectly.

So, I un-did that, removed the MB from case, disconnected the barrel-power connection from the case, unscrewed and removed the power supply that had been mounted in the case, put the pico-psu power supply back in place (I had to drill the hole for the barrel-connection out to be a little bigger since the pico-psu internal/external connection is threaded and held in place by nut with lock washer), and routed wires to be clear of cpu fan, screwed MB to stand-offs, and closed it all up.

now, everything is great. I like this linkworld case, but the power supply is worthless. I may try to get a few dollars back from the ebay vendor, to make me happy with a case that is less than what I should have gotten, but is working for me; I don't want to wait on returns, etc.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-build-no-power-up-cases-power-supply-or-mb.206259/
Relevancy 86.49%

I currently have this (and don't want them to collect any dust:
Asus Motherboard
Quad Processor
DDR Memory

Plus a couple hard drives, but absolutely nothing else. Since this is new to me, I'm asking:

1 - Is there a way the more experienced users would suggest going about a new case and how to know the appropriate power supply to buy.

2 - I bought the MB used from newegg.com, and it didn't come with any wires/connectors. Can you tell me what I'd need to fully be ready when I have all the components?

Thanks!

A:New build case & power supply recommendations

I havnt done this in a while but here it goes.....

If you dont have the propor heatsink/fan combo you will need one of those for your processor.

For your needs just get a quality 500w PSU by Antec, Silverstone, Thermaltake ect ect. No $20 bargain buys. If you plan on putting in some super fancy graphics card, take the minumum requirments for that card off the box and add 100 watts.

Wires you will need are just your SATA cables.

The PSU should come with all you need to connect it to your motherboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-build-case-power-supply-recommendations.156270/
Relevancy 97.61%

Okay i supply case in power 2nd had a Antec watt power supply true blue but it went dead i was really mad Antec said it would cost bucks to ship it to them so they could 2nd power supply in case check it out heck for bucks i can get a brand new one with sleeving newer version on newegg So i started using my old watt PSU This had some problems Did not have enough power connections for hard drives cd dvd drives extra fans and cpu fan which uses mobo header and neons Much less the load of the neons alone 2nd power supply in case with cpu would result in computer shutoff SO i dug out 2nd power supply in case a old wat MINI PSU from a box machine about inches by inches And hooked the green wire to a black wire ground which allows you to use the powersupply without any motherboard connection I now just stuff the mini PSU in a extra HD bay holder in case and run neon s and fans off their very own Powersupply unit seperat from system devices So its liek having watt again lol nbsp

A:2nd power supply in case

Thanks, I might need that info at some time...cheers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2nd-power-supply-in-case.9422/
Relevancy 97.61%

Anyone know a website for Manhattan ATX Case W/250 watt power supply, or where one can obtain info about these cases?

Thanks for your help.

A:Case and Power Supply

Do a search at:
http:\\www.dogpile.com

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/case-and-power-supply.34615/
Relevancy 97.61%

Okay, helpin a guy on the floor build a new computer, we got the parts down.

AMD 3000 Venice, Gigabyte motherboard, 6600 PCI-e, 1 gig ram, 160 SATA, dvd burner, dvd rom.

Only left is the case and power supply. Lights and windows would be unwanted.
He is always messing with Photoshop CS-2 and so it must be a semi-nice powersupply. He may even try dual monitors. Hence the 6600 (they are also cheap now). Anybody have any experience with cases that come with power supplies and cost at or below $45. 45.76 is the magic number, but the real question is if we should go with seperate power supply, or will the ones that come with a case be fine. people on newegg, either dont mention the power supply, or say the replaced it.

Relevancy 96.75%

Hey all,
Im just wondering if anyone knows of any ATX tower cases out there, preferably with an aluminium/black finish and front door, that include a power supply capable of powering a Pentium 4 3Ghz that may be overclocked to 3.5Ghz in the future?
I haven't found any solutions where the case includes a powerful enough power supply. I'm looking to buy from England for about 150 / stg90-100, and thats how I want to buy them, together in one package.
Thanks!

P.S.

I have been looking at Chieftec Matrix and Scorpio cases which include 360w and 340w power supplys respectively. Are either of those power supplies capable of powering a P4 3.5Ghz?

Relevancy 96.75%

Hey everybody,
I have a case without power supply switch port and as I already know if I want to replace the power supply I have to find one without an power supply power switch on the back of it and I looked hard on newegg and on tigerdirect. I wanted an antec but thats out of the question because all 20 of them that newegg sells have switchs on them. The only one I found without a switch so far was on tgierdirect and its only 230w and thats what I have now. Also how many watts do you think I should get? Thank you very much

A:Power supply fitting in case

Will a power supply with a switch fit or not I was told it wouldnt and that does make sense since there is not a slot for it to go and I dont want to really cut or change anything on the case Thanks everyone

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-fitting-in-case.59946/
Relevancy 96.75%

Hello,
I am interested in adding some case fans to my computer. Inparticular one 60mm and two 80mm, and I was wondering in if my computers power supply could handle this. I have a 250W power supply and:
* Intel Pentium III Katmai 500MHz O/C At
575MHz
* Just Cooler 25.5 CFM Triple Fan Heatsink
* DFI P2XBL R.D. Motherboard
* 524MB PC 100 SDRAM
* Dual IBM 13.5GB ATA-66 7200RPM 2MB Buffer
* ATI All-In-Wonder Pro 8MB AGP Video Card
* Dual ATI Xpert 98 8MB PCI Video Card
* Toshiba 3rd Generation 4.8x DVD-ROM
* Ricoh 6x4x24 CD-WR
* 56K V.90 ITU Fax Modem w/Voice Mail
* 3COM EtherLink XL TPO 10MB Ethernet
* Logitech Cordless iTouch Keyboard
* Logitech Cordless TrackMan Wheel USB -
PS/2 Port

Also if it helps there is only one more power plug left from the PSU, I don't know if this has any bearing though. I appreciate everyones input.

A:Power Supply going to be enough for case fans?

Not sure but you could get Mother board monitor It will track your voltages..
http://www.compucheap.com/pages/download2.htm

Credit to the site.. http://www.compucheap.com/

------------------
"She was crazy in a cool way once" Johnlee

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-going-to-be-enough-for-case-fans.33873/
Relevancy 96.75%

Im doing a serious upgrade of my old system and I plan to overclock my new Core Duo E cpu but I want to do some case modding such as replacing the rear fan and also potentially cutting a hole in the side of my case to install a mm fan Is there a way to connect the latest case fans to my psu for power as I dont think there is another motherboard connection other than the v one for the rear fan and heatsink fan I have researched this as i always do but im lost in a world of atx molex pin connection confusion I have got the compaq site in front of me supply new help case Installing a power fan - with the motherboard specs and Installing a new case fan - power supply help it mentions a -pin ATX power connector can this be used for a fan or this probably being used elsewhere Pentium D hgz upgrading to Core Duo Ghz E gb DDR Ram motherboard ASUS P LP-LE OZC w psu Vista bit Graphics card in stages of final decision making any quick recommendations on the best for my Installing a new case fan - power supply help system are always welcome although my mind is almost made up any more info required just Installing a new case fan - power supply help let me know Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 95.46%

Computer Win XP Pro Athlon XP on a ECS K S A Mb SDRAM Gainward Geforce Ti Mb Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Had some similar problems after the video card went in with freezing but they had cleared up in the last two weeks Just installed everything in a nice new case and a W power supply Now the system freezes randomly to the point that it has to be shutdown It'll freeze in the middle of booting windows then freeze again during the disk check Sometimes it'll go minutes without freezing But since Problem case/power supply Freezing new the end result is always the same it freezes It's also getting Freezing Problem since new case/power supply a Virtual Memory too low error when I shut it down Freezing Problem since new case/power supply regularly That problem has been around since before these new freezing problems though I checked the temperatures and it's running an average of degrees cooler fahrenheit That's when compared with the system I'm using now which is identical except it's a So any ideas Any information I didn't provide Thanks in advance

A:Freezing Problem since new case/power supply

Welcome to the board,

Sounds like a memory problem, do you have any other memory sticks lying around, or if you use 2 to get the 256 try removing 1 and testing to see if the problem is still there, then swap and repeat.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/freezing-problem-since-new-case-power-supply-2173.html
Relevancy 95.46%

I have a new Aopen AX63pro motherboard (ATX form factor) being shipped from California and wonder if my old AT power supply and case will work with the new board. If I need a new supply, is 300 watts "better" than 235w or 200w? If I need a new case, any thoughts on what's the best value? Does an ATX power supply fit into some AT cases (if there is such a thing) or is a dedicated ATX case/power supply needed?

Thanks to anyone taking time to offer an opinion.

A:Will old AT power supply and case support new ATX mobo?

you will most likely need a new case and power supply. Some AT boards will take either a AT or ATX power supply but I have not seen an ATX board that will do both. There may be some exceptions but it is a good bet that you will need to buy some new equipment.

------------------
Frenat

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/will-old-at-power-supply-and-case-support-new-atx-mobo.32337/
Relevancy 95.46%

cant really decide wich case i should go with dont have enough money Decision: Supply/Fans Power Case to buy another power supply so i will have to go with the case power supply wich will be a watt is this ok here is my computer setup AMD Athlon- CPU Gigabyte GA-K NF nVidia nForce Chipset w Sound Gb LAN S-ATA Raid USB IEEE- PCI-E Motherboard MB MB X DDR- PC Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand GB HARD DRIVE Serial-ATA-II Gb RPM M Cache X Dual Format Double Layer DVD R RW CD-R RW Drive nVidia GeForce MB w DVI TV out Video MS Windows XP Home Edition w Service Pack- Microsoft Works just until my freind gets me office Channel D Surround Sound W PMPO PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System just for now Onboard LAN Network Gb or Cold Case Decision: Power Supply/Fans Cathode Neon Light Green Mitsumi MB Internal Floppy Drive PS Key Windows Keyboard Microsoft Optical Intelli-Mouse -Button for my second question what case is best with cooling power supply reliability and Case Decision: Power Supply/Fans just general properties of a case i read earlier that aspire power supplys tend to break and overheat RAIDMAX Ninja ATX- WSP http www newegg com Product Product asp Item N E amp ATT - - amp CMP OTC-d alt me Coolermaster Ammo- http www newegg com Product Product asp Item N E NZXT Apollo SILVER Silver http www newegg com Product Product asp Item N E so out of those wich do you think would be the best to go with also i dont know the whole compatibility thing so im either getting one of these motherboards wich ones are compatible with the cases eVGA nForce- SLI Chipset Dual DDR w Sound Gb LAN S-ATA Raid USB Dual PCI-E MB Gigabyte GA-K NF nVidia nForce Chipset w Sound Gb LAN S-ATA Raid USB IEEE- PCI-E Motherboard thanks for the help nbsp

Relevancy 95.46%

Hey there second topic in minutes but since I am here I thought I would get this off my chest Ummm I m planning on buying a new case the Coolermaster HAF Full Tower Case it comes with mm fans with LED s on the Case Question + Power Motherboard + Supply side panel and a mm fan on the top with ANOTHER mm fan cooling from the back of the case and I m wondering - What will I need to use this case I m just upgrading the case first and building upwards from my older computer year ago gaming pc which had a GeForce GT XXX Alpha Dog GPU and a Core Duo Ghz on an old motherboard which I bought from a friend for cheap this pc also has a Watt Power Supply what would I need to use this case Another part of this question is what power supply would go best with an XFX nForce i motherboard and the coolermaster haf case Sorry if this is all mumble jumble but please read each question seperately not as the one nbsp

Relevancy 95.46%

I built a new pc a bunch of years ago and spent some extra cash on a nice ATX case that I planned on recycling when I built my new new pc, which I'm in the process of doing now.

I found a power supply I want, but it (and most of the other PS's I'd consider) all have top mounted fans where my case supports a back mounted fan. My case has a blowhole in the top center panel, but no vent where the PS would be located. Would this be enough ventilation or should I just stick with a lesser PS with a back mounted fan?

Relevancy 95.46%

Hi all,

My power supply (Corsair 850W) has a fan at the bottom of it, which i'm assuming was placed there considering power supplies sit at the top of a PC case. However, my power supply holding bay is at the bottom of the case. I was wondering whether it was apt to turn the supply upside down so that the fan was facing upwards (hence expelling air upwards rather than down straight onto the bottom of my case), or whether I should just leave it alone and install as per normal?

This is my first custom build and I don't want to screw anything up!

Any help would be much appreciated

Relevancy 95.46%

I'm assembling a new system and having power issues. When connected and the switch on the power supply is on, all my components receive power before I press the power switch. Fans turn, DVD drive spins and opens, yet I am not able to power up my computer. I stripped everything down to just the motherboard, CPU and RAM and I still get nothing. No POST beep or anything signaling a startup taking place.

I am wondering if this could be caused by a faulty power supply (ie a short inside the power supply) or more likely by a short in the case somewhere. Any help in resolving this would be appreciated!

A:Power supply/case short issue?

reassemble the minimum system components outside of the PC case on a non-conductive surface (eg the box that came with your motherboard). this will show you if its shorting to the case or an isolated problem.

What brand and model is the PSU?
Reseat all the components (ram, video card, etc).. you might want to try reset the BIOS at this stage since you've got nothing else to do

It is normal for some PSUs to start up the fans and/or other devices for a few seconds after puting in power to it or after shutting down the PC, but irregular if it doesn't die down by itself after a few seconds to a minute or if you can't manualy trigger it (shorting the two pins instead of pressing the power button to turn on the PC)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-case-short-issue.59261/
Relevancy 95.46%

Hey all,

I want to upgrade my power supply to a 550/600 Watt one, as I want to upgrade to a 640mb nVidia 8800 GTS and I don't think a 450 watt PSU would do it justice with a Core 2 Duo E6600, 2GB Corsair Extreme DDR800 Ram etc, 250gb Sata 2.0 etc..

I was just wondering if there is anything I need to know? If I buy a 550/600 Watt power supply, will I need to buy a new case too? Or will it fit my current case (Currently has a 450 Watt PSU, Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 Motherboard)

Any help is appreciated,

Thanx all

A:Power Supply and Case Upgrade Questions

Measure the size of your current power supply, and look for which plugs and sockets your motherboard requires.
The better quality new power supplies come with everything you need.
Avoid "cheap" power supplies, but there are hundreds that will work fine... FSP, Antec, Color Master, CoolMax, Thermaltake, Apevia, Sparkle, PC Power and Cooling (the best, in my opinion), Raidmax, XCLIO, and most of the ones sold on the more popular websites are going to do the job. I avoid OCZ, and Corsair, Delta, Powerman.... You will find that most power supplies are made by just a few manufacturers in China and Korea. Save your receipt, as even big name, expensive power supplies can suddenly fail.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-and-case-upgrade-questions.73700/
Relevancy 94.6%

considering:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129025

Or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129037

But originally wanting to supply my own power (ex: BFG 550 watt ATX EPS)

How is the quality on the Antec's power?

Relevancy 94.6%

Hi i was just wondering how many case fans i could use for my CPU with a 4oo watt power supply. They are all antec 80mm fans and are 12v. At the moment i have 4 case fans, 1 processor fan, 1 cdrw, 1 dvd drive and 1 floppy drive. Is this many items safe for a 400 watt Power supply or will i have to disconnect something i.e. the front case fans? Please can somebody reply back with an answer. Thanx

A:How many case fans can i connect to 400w Power Supply?

Hi,

If I understand what you are saying is that you have 4 case fans and the drives you have listed (not fans for them) in your post. If you have four, you are fine with what you have. Case fans don't actually pull much juice, so don't worry about that. I have heard of people on here who have six, seven, or eight fans. Why? Heavens only knows, because I see not reason to do that. If one sets his air flow up correctly, I can see NO reason to have that many. Kind of like thermal paste, too (much paste) many (fans) can be worse than not enough as you get air through the case in a swirling motion instead of a steady front to back airflow. Well, anyway, that is my personal opinion from building computers.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f76/how-many-case-fans-can-i-connect-to-400w-power-supply-11016.html
Relevancy 93.74%

Hi all This question is in regards of what For new Supply? build Power wattage PSU I should use for this build I don t do lan gaming but I do like games I want to play Crysis Case Lian Li V B ThermalTake Armor CM Stacker T- Processor E Conroe Mobo Don t know yet Video Card Nvidia GTX or new release HD s or gig Seagates Sata Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster Audigy ZS Platinum Pro or Power Supply? For new build newer HSF Thermalright X - when released Floppy Card Reader Two DVD- Burners I will go to water cooling from Swiftech probably a year or so down the road My current system has a PC Power amp Cooling Turbo- Cooled ATX-PFC Deluxe and it has done me right My PC was on one night and I was sleeping a storm hit and I awoke to a burning smell that morning My PSU was fried but it didn t take any of the components with it That smell stayed in the house for three weeks I was personally thinking of a watt PSU but if I m off base here let me know I looked around at PC Power amp Cooling site and didn t see that size Open for advice thanks nbsp

A:Power Supply? For new build

You can get 1000watt psu's now, they arent hard to find, check thermaltake, silverstone, I know they have good ones. 850 would probably be minimal for that thing you're running.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-for-new-build.77117/
Relevancy 93.74%

The specs will be ASUS A N SLI or ABIT A N SLI abit if the board New Help For build!!! Power Supply ever comes out AMD pin x Ultras vid mem Power Supply Help For New build!!! in sli mode x mb gb Corsair XMS DDR Pc DDR Pc if compatable with Abit Mother Board x gb Western Digital HDDs in Raid x LiteOn CDR RW Combo DVD x LiteOn CDR RW DVDR RW x Floppy x UV Tube x LED Case Fans I was thinking this w http www tigerdirect com applications SearchTools item-details asp EdpNo amp CatId But i would like this one b c of the X-Connect Feature with UV Cables look so nice http www tigerdirect com applications SearchTools item-details asp EdpNo amp CatId My only concerne with the w it that i will not have enough power And i dont know what the quot Effencey quot of the Ultra Power Supplys are And i have seen on newegg com that the quot Effency quot can be as low a So of the power will be gone meaning you dont rilly have w or w So if any one can help me with this thanks in advance Thanks Da Bob nbsp

Relevancy 93.74%

I built a pc a while back and I made the mistake of buying a ****ty case. The computer randomly decides to not start sometimes and I always assume it's a grounding issue. Well, I isolated the problem this time to the power supply. It seems to short when mounted in the case, but if everything is set up outside the case everything works fine.....

Help...I really want to play Borderlands and use AutoCAD.....Don't let me buy an iMac

Thanks,
Trevor

Relevancy 93.74%

Am definitely going to have to get an extra fan room temp is F as I type Case for What S500 300w Power a ATX, exhaust fan Supply size this at PM local time What size exhaust fan for a S500 ATX, 300w Power Supply Case amp average CPU temp is F BUT while running InoculateIt Antivirus check took about minutes CPU temp jumped to F Alarm is at F Can a exhaust fan be mounted in the circular grill on rear of S ATX case and what size would fit in there and how hard are they to install With shop prices starting at hr would like to save that IF possible Also -- what type fan connector s are used in the MSI M board I ve seen fans for sale on web with wires amp others with Case has W power supply And considering room temp s during summer hit - F quot cooling quot to mid- s or so at nite how high a cfm reading should I look for in a exhaust fan if one can be installed behind that grill nbsp

Relevancy 92.88%

just obtained acrosshair iv formula motherboard with sempron 100 series processor and 3gig ddr3 1333/1066 non-ecc un-buffered memory question
do i need to get a ATX cpu or will my old 450 watts power pack be ok

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/new-build-help-required-power-supply-4604750/
Relevancy 92.88%

here s what I have SILVERSTONE SST-TJ B-X Tyan thunder mobo CORSAIR CMPSU- TX W power -- new wrong supply? build ATX V EPS V x AMD Opteron Barcelona GHz x KB L Cache MB L Cache Socket F W Quad-Core Server new build -- wrong power supply? Processor x CORSAIR ValueSelect GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC gb total ASUS EN GTS HTDP M GeForce GTS MB -bit GDDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card I have the mobo in the case the chips heatsink one hd the ram the graphics card installed in the case When I turn the power switch on the fans all start spinning but they all spin with this pulsating rhythm and the case led display flashes with that rhythm as well On the mobo there are three power connectors that were supposed to go to my mobo a pin got it and pin got that too and a pin I have pin cables a pin jack on the mobo i plugged in the pin jack When I hit the power switch for the first time nothing happened when I removed the pin plug out of the pin jack the machine powered up but with that weird rhythm I described this is from the motherboard manual - Installing the Power Supply There are three power new build -- wrong power supply? connectors on your Thunder n M S -E The Thunder n M S -E requires that you have an EPS V power supply that has a -pin an -pin and a -pin power connectors NOTE Please be aware that ATX x ATX V and ATXGES COLOR blue important COLOR blue important power COLOR blue important supplies color color color may not be compatible with the board and can damage the motherboard and or CPU s Click to expand Also when I turn the new build -- wrong power supply? machine on with a monitor connected nothing happens I don t see any bios info I ve tried both the video card and the mobo monitor inputs I have a belkin switch attached I ll try removing that and having the monitor hooked up directly I think I have the RAM in correctly I looked in the manual there are ram slots and I have sticks I looked on newegg for a power supply that should work but wasn t sure has anyone run across this issue before thanks bp nbsp

Relevancy 92.88%

Hi all Originally i was going to build a new PC with a single GTX video card I choosing Power Need build a Supply new for help have since opted to build something a little different though I was just wondering what size power supply you guys would recommend to me for my new build The full specs are CPU AMD Phenom II x Black Edition Mobo Gigabyte GA-MA X-UD P RAM Corsair XMS x GB DDR - HDD Western Digital Caviar Black TB x for Raid Video Cards Asus ATI Radeon HD s in Crossfire Optical Drive Asus DRW- B LT Cooling the CPU will be Need help choosing a Power Supply for new build the Zalman NT and will all be housed in the Antec Nine Hundred Two gaming case I was originally planning for a watt Corsair Power Supply Unit for this system But i am beginning to wonder if that will actually be enough for the system What do you guys think Is it enough If not can you recommend me a good Power Supply Please dont say stuff like quot you should get an Intel CPU and a single better video card quot because i have already made my mind up on this system Thanks in Advance nbsp

A:Need help choosing a Power Supply for new build

The Corsair line of power supplies is excellent. If you are not comfortable with the 650 try the 750; what do you need from the 12v in amps/wattage for Crossfire? Will you be overclocking?

By the way, love the cpu and 4850's in Crossfire and those WD Blacks have a good reputation. Is your system minus the psu ready to be assembled?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-choosing-a-power-supply-for-new-build.146440/
Relevancy 92.88%

Hi, Guys (And Gals) I'm attempting my 1st PC build and HAVE used the various online power supply calculators... however I'd like to hear some feedback from you all. No matter where I look online I always like to come here to be sure. My specs for the build are as follows:

MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-F2A68HM-H FM2+ USB 3.0 MATX
Amd A6 5400K 3600Mhz Blk Edt 1mb 65w Socket FM2

Video Card: XFX RADEON R7 240 2GB DDR3 LOW PROFILE
RAM: ADATA XPG V1 DDR3 1600 4GB

HDD: Seagate 1TB Serial ATA HD 7200/64MB/SATA-6G

I would really like to use one of the 350W or 400W power supply I stripped from my previous PC's. I'm thinking of hooking it to an HDMI or VGA projector eventually though (Haven't bought it yet) Can I get away with one of these and play a game like World of Warcraft? or do I need to order something like the
SolidGear 650W PS2 ATX Power Supply on Tiger Direct?

Thanks in advance for any advice & thoughts

A:1st Build Power Supply Question

Over engineer the PS;

Calculate the actual needed power,

add a fudge factor and

multiply by 1.5.
Then round up to the next commonly available size

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/1st-build-power-supply-question.213326/
Relevancy 92.02%

Hi I am a graphic designer switching to PC i have done wok on my old mac replaced ram hard drive dc in board but this is the first time that I will be building a pc from scratch Below are the parts I bought from new egg there is one pretty obvious problem i think small? too power any other build: issues? supply new the power supply is w This was an error I new build: power supply too small? any other issues? originally had a w cooler amster and someone recomended switching brands and i was careless i also forgot to get a wireless card my question is can I build this with the PSU I have and replace it later it was pretty in expensice and i am maxed out or is it going to be a bad idea This computer is not for gaming it is for graphic design in Adobe including some aftereffexcts and flash Newegg com - GIGABYTE GA-X A-UD R LGA Intel X SATA Gb s USB ATX Intel Motherboard Newegg com - G SKILL GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F - CL T- GBNQ Newegg com - CORSAIR CMPSU- CX W ATX V V PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i Power Supply Newegg com - Intel Core i - Bloomfield GHz x KB L Cache MB L Cache LGA W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX Newegg com - EVGA G-P - -TR GeForce GTS GB -bit DDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card Newegg com - ASUS Black X DVD R X DVD RW X DVD R DL X DVD-R X DVD-RW X DVD-RAM X DVD-ROM X CD-R X CD-RW X CD-ROM MB Cache SATA X DVD Burner - Bulk - CD DVD Burners Newegg com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD FALS TB RPM MB Cache SATA Gb s quot Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive Newegg com - COOLER MASTER Intel Core i compatible V RR-UV -XBU -GP mm Rifle CPU Cooler Newegg com - COOLER MASTER Centurion CAC-T -UB Black Blue Aluminum Bezel SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case nbsp

A:new build: power supply too small? any other issues?

Well, I'd be real reluctant to fire that up with a 400W supply. When a supply goes, it frequently takes stuff with it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-build-power-supply-too-small-any-other-issues.941143/
Relevancy 92.02%

Decided to build a new machine today.

Mobo: MSI 7600-P23(FX)
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W
Processor: AMD FX 6300

I have verified all power connections but when I press the power switch, all the fans begin spinning, but stop after only a second or two. Nothing else happens.

Any ideas on what to try or what is causing the problem?

Relevancy 85.14%

Toshiba Satellite L305-5955, Ive taken apart and replaced power jack. Not directly soldered to motherboard. While still apart, and battery out/in, connected power supply and still absolutely no response. Power supply is NOT original, and slightly different specs, i.e original 19v..6.3A

current 19v..3.1A

A:Toshiba Satellite L305-5955 does not respond to power supply, new power jack

Almost certainly the problem is that the current rating is wrong, if the laptop needs
6.3 A of current, it won't function on less (just as you can't use a 3A fuse for a kettle!)
Unfortunately it must be the right current rating, I know, I've been caught that way too!
Maybe you can exchange it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-satellite-l305-5955-does-not-respond-to-power-supply-new-power-jack.179540/
Relevancy 85.14%

Yesterday in my house,electric fuse was switched to turn on cooker in my kitchen. During this power delivery was stopped for 4-5 second only.
When power back on then pc automatically turns on and just before bios show me :"?Power supply surges detected during the previous power on ASUS anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable supply unit.
Press F1 to continue.? And then pc booted fine to Windows.

Is this normal ? Did it damage something? Why i get that message is this normal?

PC:
6700K stock
16GB DDR4
Asus Z170-P
Corsair 750 RM
Gtx 1080
SSD 1x

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/66598-power-supply-surges-detected-during-previous-power-asus-anti-su.html
Relevancy 85.14%

I have a Dell 8600 about two years old. When I plug in the AC adapter, it intermittently fades to the battery as though the plug was pulled out (its not) and of course the screen fades in an out when every time it swithces--it does it every 30 to 60 seconds or so. I switched to a different AC adapter (I have a Dell 600M with the same AC adapter)-same thing so I know it is something internally. Any ideas?

A:Dell Laptop Power Supply Fading In and Out--power jack is bad or loose?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-laptop-power-supply-fading-in-and-out-power-jack-is-bad-or-loose.472044/
Relevancy 85.14%

Hi,
I picked up this Alienware 5700 off ebay to hopefully refurbish for my son but I'm new at this and still learning and so this thing has me baffled. The laptop is in pristine condition but shows no signs of life. When I plug in the power supply the green light on the power supply goes from solid green to blinking rapidly to the point you can barely see it. To me that would mean a short somewhere right ? If so where ? Has anyone else ever had experience with something like this ? I just don't want to go buying a new battery for a laptop that maybe fried already. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:No power, no lights but green light on power supply blinks rapidly

Remove the laptops battery and try the AC power only. If the green light does the same, it still could only be a bad AC adapter, or at worst, a shorted laptop motherboard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-power-no-lights-but-green-light-on-power-supply-blinks-rapidly.174252/
Relevancy 85.14%

Ever since i got this new motherboard and CPU ive been having a bit of a nightmare Wont Gigabyte Power up ga-ma790fx - Phenom AMD 9850 Supply & Power with it Gigabyte ga-ma fx-ds -Latest Bios AMD Phenom Black Edition gigs PC ram Corsair XMS CM X - ATI Radeon The problem is that the motherboard will NOT power up at all with the of the latest power supplies watt i have It wont work at all with Nothing happens its just dead Arctic watt Jeantech PSU brand new and working Corsair watt HX PSU working It only seems to work with my Jeantech Watt PSU and i cant for the life of me figure out why Ive tried everything to get the board to work with the new PSU s I had thought that the PSUs i got were dodgy but after testing out one in an older PC it worked fine Ive removed all parts and tried powering up and i cant get it to boot up But the PC seems to work fine with the oldish watt PSU which i find just unbelievable Can anyone help with this nightmare Now on the Gigabyte site the CPU i have isnt listed as supported by this motherboard which is kinda worrying could this be the reason If so how the old Power Supply Wont Power up - Gigabyte ga-ma790fx & AMD Phenom 9850 PSU boots up I just want to have the fracking thing working with the right PSU nbsp

A:Power Supply Wont Power up - Gigabyte ga-ma790fx & AMD Phenom 9850

if I read the specifications right on your mobo... it implies that it has the 4 pin PCI-e input(power) but it also has the 8pin ATX power conector. (it may be simply removing a cap that is actually right next to the 4 pin connector, thus making it an 8 pin connector (thats how it was on my mobo)

Try using the 8pin power with your new PSU, see if that works.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-wont-power-up-gigabyte-ga-ma790fx-amd-phenom-9850.112038/
Relevancy 85.14%

I m interested in the Toshiba G laptop but have heard that you can t use it on airplane seat power It comes with a W AC power supply Vx A but I ve been told that most airlines limit seat power to - W max Lind sells a V car adaptor for the G but specifically won t include an airline plug for this reason which I can get independently of course I ve read some interesting electrical discussions on this board Can ya ll comment on the following or provide any general advice about power consumption Given that the voltage of the laptop and airline seat power pretty much match up - V if the amp draw on the laptop exceeds what the airline power supply can deliver what will happen Will it damage the laptop to feed it insufficient current Will it shut down Supply, Power Airline 120W limitations Toshiba Power G25-AV513, the laptop altogether Merely dim the screen If I remove the laptop battery which requires power to charge it how much will that reduce the power Toshiba G25-AV513, 120W Power Supply, Airline Power limitations need of the laptop I m not sure how to work the Toshiba G25-AV513, 120W Power Supply, Airline Power limitations math but the spec sheet states the battery supplies mAh at A output Does it require the same to charge it Most importantly on my hour transpacific flights will the DVD player work with that ultrabrite screen at the low airline power supply A nice feature of the laptop is that you can watch DVDs without powering up the Windows operating system it has a small linux OS for the DVD player Granted the DVD drive and screen are probably of the most power hungry devices Has anyone used a G or a similar W laptop on a plane The ToshibaDirect support staff were mum on the issue probably for legal reasons Thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-g25-av513-120w-power-supply-airline-power-limitations.29934/
Relevancy 84.71%

It's been a while since I built a system from scratch and have a... errr... simple question

gfx: Sapphire HD3850 512MB Ultimate (passive)
http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/products/products_overview.php?gpid=225&grp=3

MB: MSI P35 Neo2 FIR
http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=1261&maincat_no=1

PSU: Seasonic M12II 500W
http://www.seasonic.com/product/pc_retail.jsp

The motherboard has a power connector for the graphic card next to the slot.

Is there any reason I should connect the power for the card to the power connector on the board instead of directly to the power supply?

A:Graphic card power to power supply or connector on motherboard?

First time I have ever seen that feature. I like it. I'm thinking that is a neat/easy way to partially eliminate cable clutter from the PSU. Give it a shot, you can always revert to PSU cable if you wish.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/graphic-card-power-to-power-supply-or-connector-on-motherboard.705154/
Relevancy 84.71%

I have a Sony VGC-RB42G computer. I recently moved my computer, cleaned off all the dust, and when I plugged everything back in, it won't power up. The light on the power supply blinks green, inside the motherboard also has a green light that blinks as well. It has a ticking sound too, but I am not sure if it is coming from the power supply or the motherboard. Any idea what could be wrong.

FYI, I have already unplugged everything from the power supply, pulled out the ram, checked the battery, and put everything back together and still no change. One thing I thought was strange was after I unplugged everything, I pulled the power into the power supply again and this time the green light came on but did not blink. It stayed solid.

Help
ncleo

A:No Power, Blinking green light on power supply and motherboard

Sounds like a Power Supply problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-power-blinking-green-light-on-power-supply-and-motherboard.646158/
Relevancy 84.71%

Hi, I just bought an HP pavilion e9300 a few week ago. And I am going to upgrade the power supply so that I can get a new graphic card--ATI 4870 which requires at least 500 watt power supply. My current computer is shipped with a 350 watt power supply. I will probably get a 650 watt considering the 70% effeciency of power supply.
However, when I talked to an HP technician, he insisted that I could go for a power supply with no more 450 watt. Because the system I just got has a motherboard which has a max power limit 450 watt. He said if I go beyond that, the motherboard will burn out.
So what shall I do? I really want to get ATI 4870 work well on my computer.
Thx very much.

A:Does power supply with higher power rating really burn motherboard?

The long answer is "No".
Just be sure of the dimensions of the power supply before you order a replacement, as HP uses some pretty strange sizes sometimes, and you want the new one to fit with room to spare.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/does-power-supply-with-higher-power-rating-really-burn-motherboard.148700/
Relevancy 84.71%

Sorry I don't know the proper terms, but basically the pin inside the jack where the power cord gets plugged into on my laptop was bent so that it's really hard for me to plug in my power cord and have it stay in place. My warranty with best buy has expired, so I need to figure out how to solve this problem on my own. I can't just leave it like this because the cord comes out really easily and I can't continue to work with such a tenuous setup. Anyway, is this just a matter of replacing the entire unit inside my laptop? I know you probably need more information, but I'm not sure what to provide, so please ask any questions. The laptop is a Toshia M-45, about 3-4 years old. Thanks in advance

A:Bent power supply pin - Hard to plug in power cord

umm.. bend it back so it's closer to normal? That's all I can say about it. usually works for me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bent-power-supply-pin-hard-to-plug-in-power-cord.820239/
Relevancy 84.71%

Hello guys.  Can anyone help me understand the power supply on the HP Envy Phoenix 860-019?  The PCIE connector 6 pin connected to the GTX 960 has black and white wires.  Shouldn't there be yellow and black wires?  Yellow is usually 12 volt and black wires ground.  Is the 6 pin connected to my GTX 960  supplying a standard 75 watts of power or something else?  I want to install a GTX 1070 but the 6 pin wire colors are not the industry standard color scheme.  Also there is a 2 pin power connector with a white and black wire.  Usually a 6 pin and a 2 pin can be used together to connect into a 8 pin socket on a GTX 1070.  Will my connectors supply the needed power and connect properly because the color scheme on the wires make no sense. Thank you

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Strange-Color-Scheme-for-Power-Connectors-on-Power-Supply-of/td-p/5819631
Relevancy 84.71%

I know how to enable disable UBS ports but I want to know if I Can set specific power limits for my USB ports using Windows pro How can I test my motherboard to see if maybe that might be the problem Everything was working fine Then I started using a new USB device called Track IR I don't know if it's a coincidence or the culprit but I now get a quot power surge quot warning for all my USB ports when the device is unplugged USB is not (power to How power USB warnings) 2.0 control USB case surge all connected active My headphones disconnect most of the time My keyboard started disconnecting more How to control all USB case power (power surge warnings) USB 2.0 frequently and my mouse is usually the last to disconnect If I plug Track IR in as well as my other peripherals keyboard mouse headphones steering wheel everything works fine If I unplug Track IR I'll start getting power surge warnings and my headphones keyboard lastly my mouse will disconnect in that order randomly It's also caused a cyclic quot left click quot issue with my mouse - I believe Over a span of - seconds the left click button will go from standard to ultra sensitive to standard click speed again I can double click on a file and open it and afew seconds later it seems it only takes click to unintentionally open that folder and then whatever file or folder my mouse cursor happened to be on inside that folder I slowed down and sped up the mouse click function in windows devices but the issue still persists I have checked the wiring Nothing exposed or touching I have turned off USB charging capability I have tried each port individually front and back USB ports to see if I have How to control all USB case power (power surge warnings) USB 2.0 any dead ports none I have tried them in combinations to see if there is some kind of short between ports What do I do now

A:How to control all USB case power (power surge warnings) USB 2.0

Hi 7of9, welcome to the Forum.

Have a look at this MS website & see if any suggestions there work for you.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...a-c0e724e83e04

What happens if you leave the IR5 connected & shut down the computer, disconnect the IR5, restart the computer. Does your mouse etc. then work properly. If so it might be worth looking at getting a separately powered USB hub & using that for the IR5.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/398522-how-control-all-usb-case-power-power-surge-warnings-usb-2-0-a.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Yea...so we finally got my girlfriends new PC up and running. The problem im having...or more of a concern really. Is when you flip off the power supply, and then flip it back on, the PC gets a short burst of power. IE the lights and fans all come on for a second or two. Then you can press the power button and turn it back on.

Any ideas guys?

Relevancy 84.28%

Ok so it's time again for me to pick a new power supply however I'm in need of some help determining the appropriate wattage for my hardware setup AMD Phenom II X nm AM GSkill Ripjaw X GB Dual-Channel DDR MHz - - - new a Consumption-Picking Supply Hardware Power Power Corsair TX w I dont think its the V ASUS M A AM r here are the voltages listed on speccy if they are of any use V V V V CPU CORE V VIN V VIN V V V VIN Hardware Power Consumption-Picking a new Power Supply V VIN V VIN V ASUS ATI Radeon HD x in Crossfire w ea GB Patriot Pyro SE SSD GB OCZ OCZ-ONYX SSD LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH NS ATA I have terrible luck with random bsod's and power supplies pooping on me I want to pick one this time that will last me Also I have my power running through a Monster Power HT I live in a new apartment so the wiring should be ok I've dusted out all Hardware Power Consumption-Picking a new Power Supply of the components inside the case double checked my connections all that jazz I've got a cooler over my memory I am still using my stock cpu cooler but thats changing soon I get crashes idle too Any help I could recieve I would appreciate thanks Andrew

A:Hardware Power Consumption-Picking a new Power Supply

You have pretty much the same problem as me (getting BSOD's randomly). For me it's bulging capacitors on motherboard. You should take a closer look for capacitors on your motherboard. Dead capacitors look something like that:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...densatoren.jpg

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/230075-hardware-power-consumption-picking-new-power-supply.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I shut down my Pavilion Elite for 1 week while away and now it will not turn on. The power supply light is on, I replaced the CMOS battery and the power switch is ok.

A:Pavilion elite power supply light on, won't power up

As you did not mention any message or display on the screen, I would use this tutorial for a step by step diagnostic.  It also helps to remove the side panel, and visually watch the CPU and rear case fan movement(s).  As you press the power button, pay attention to the fans. Also does the Power Supply LED stay ON? Or did it go OUT when you pressed the power button?  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Pavilion-elite-power-supply-light-on-won-t-power-up/td-p/5700798
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi forum and pc gurus My problem is specified down to my PSU at least I think so W Logisys PSU - maybe the quality has something to do with it I paid for it from NEW EGG I have A Gigabyte GA- P-DS Motherboard a Intel Core DUO Conroe GHz processor with heatsink and get I HELL! POWER FROM PC built HELP! custom power to on! cannot SUPPLY my Fan Sapphire ATI X Pro GIGS of WINTEC DDR PC RAM SATA Maxtor GIG HD inch SATA Gig HD and two DVD Burner Optical Drives both IDE I have it hooked up like this two Optical Drives connected to IDE connector cable which POWER SUPPLY FROM HELL! I cannot get my custom built PC to power on! HELP! is hooked into the IDE input on the motherboard both are set to slave Two CD outs connected one to each Optical Drives to one CD input on the motherboard Both HD s are connected to SATA inputs on the motherboard one is set for master one is set for slave I heard that it did not matter but wanted to state that anyway then my ATI RADEON X is hooked directly into my only PCI Xpress slot The power connectors are then all hooked into their respective inputs on the drives and Video Card ANd last but not least all the Power button and LED connectors are hooked into their input on the motherboard wich I set up exactly as the motherboard diagrams and directions directed I turned the switch on the PSU to on and I only got a faint mouse like squeek then nothing not even the fan So I figured it was DOA so I had newegg send me another I got it today installed it hooked all the power connectors to the hardware then popped the switch to on nothing again and the same little squeeky mouse like noise I have no idea what went wrong and this is my first custom built computer for me so any help would be great In relation I did not wear a ESD protective wristband but I did constantly touch metal to keep myself grounded but I couldnt rule out ESD to the motherboard I hope not but it is a possibility AND what is the possibility that both PSUs were DOA and what is the possibility that W is not enough to power my entire system THANKS GUYS FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCE Oh and yeah I have it set to V nbsp

A:POWER SUPPLY FROM HELL! I cannot get my custom built PC to power on! HELP!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-from-hell-i-cannot-get-my-custom-built-pc-to-power-on-help.584624/
Relevancy 84.28%

Working on a dell dimension 2400,think may have bad power supply.Anybody know if that model uses a proprietary PSU? or will a regular industry standard one work?

A:Dell Power Dimension 2400 power supply

Should be a standard ATX PS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-power-dimension-2400-power-supply.488276/
Relevancy 82.56%

was watching dvd and pc cut out completely... high pitch beeping comming from my power supply on hp 110 desktop... when i unplug from tower beeping stops .. plug it back in and it resumes.  No power, no flashing leds ... just constant beeping... no pattern ... just beeps continuously.

A:constant beep from power supply... no power to pc at all.

let me be clear.... beeping not coming from tower.... it comes from the plug in power supply... the square box part of it.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/constant-beep-from-power-supply-no-power-to-pc-at-all/td-p/5709441
Relevancy 82.56%

My first post I received my new DVD DL -RW drive today and eagerly installed it I of course unplugged my computer s power supply while doing it After plugging the power back in the green up power disconnecting after power supply Computer won't LED on the back of the CPU started blinking never noticed this before and when I hit the power button NOTHING happen No fan Computer won't power up after disconnecting power supply turns no lights nothing When I unplug the power supply the green LED blinking gets slower and slower and after about minutes it totally stops I plug the power suppply back in and it starts blinking all over again and still the power won t turn on All I did was replace a CD-ROM drive with a DVD Multi drive I didn t mess with anything else so there should be no power supply shortage or problem Any thoughts as to what could Computer won't power up after disconnecting power supply be happening By the way I have a year old Compaq computer with ghz Athlon gig RAM no problems thus far nbsp

A:Computer won't power up after disconnecting power supply

While installing the new optical drive, you might have inadvertently loosened one or more connectors. Recheck all data and power cables to make sure they are tight, including all those to the motherboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-wont-power-up-after-disconnecting-power-supply.49521/
Relevancy 82.56%

Hey, got quite a problem with my laptop.. It's a Medion Erazer X7813, worked well for ~2 years.
I was doing a graphics card benchmark yesterday and it stopped in the middle of it(monitored temperature, it was at ~80 degrees Celsius when it turned off). No bluescreen or anything just off and I couldnt restart after that(no fans nothing). I thought it might be the power supply, so I tested it, but it was doing 19v when not plugged in, but when I plugged it in and unplugged it again it was at 1v. When testing I unintentionally shorted the power supply and it showed 1v after that just as it did after plugging it in, is it shorting inside the laptop? Could it be the battery or something more serious like the MB? Any ideas are welcome!

A:Laptop gets no power, power supply seems to be working

The charging circuits on the laptop motherboard may be shorted...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-gets-no-power-power-supply-seems-to-be-working.217521/
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi I m currently a computing student so I rely won't up power (poss. Computer supply) power on my computer a lot for my studies and was hoping I could get some quick advice troubleshooting on here So here goes I ve had a problem with my computer recently it s been working fine Computer won't power up (poss. power supply) for a year or so with no problems and then one day i tried switching it on and nothing happened I tried once more and then the power short circuited I then had to turn the power back on from the mains switch The strange thing is my housemate had exactly the same problem and after searching for the answer he was told it was due to a static buildup and the solution was to take out components graphics card RAM e t c and put them back in I tried this and no luck I was thinking due to the short circuit there may be a problem with a fuse in the power supply other then that I m completely stumped and would appreciate any help given Many Thanks for all help received nbsp

A:Computer won't power up (poss. power supply)

Does it happen with any other appliances? as in does using the toaster while using the kettle While your mate is in the Electric shower, telly on, or ironing?

Possibly a static build up, it is possible, Wher are you situated??
What voltage are you on?

What is the make and model of your comp? is it the same as your friends?

is your machine custom built or is it a brand?
Answer a few of them and we will try to narrow it down 4 you..

Mean while if you could get your hands on a spare PSU that would be handy. And remember when dealing with PSU's alway leave them to sischarge for at least 24hrs,
the 3 D'S, Disconect, discharge, dismantle.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-wont-power-up-poss-power-supply.864011/
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi everybody I tried to search on google about this but it s not really help and it never happen to me before so I post here My PC was running normally for a long time just couple weeks ago I sent supply or button problem? power Power my faulty video card xfx nvidia ultra to get warranty service and they sent me back another The new one works fine but Power supply or power button problem? a week later I tried to turn on my computer and there s no power at all No lights on Power supply or power button problem? no fan running just no sign of power So I check inside if there s any wire from the PSU is unplugged but everything looks good nothing seems wrong I m sure the power from the wall is good and the power switch on the back is on So I tried to check the wired again push the power cable to the mother harder and press the button it worked But that doesnt solve the problem if I put something heavy near the PC or the desk is vibrating a little bit the power turns off I press the power button again it would not turn on until I open the case and press the power cable to the motherboard harder it s on I then close the side panel it s off no power This is really annoyed me I dont know what else to do What caused this problem The power supply or the power button Can somebody help me My system specs ECS G T-M mobo Intel E Duo x GB RAM x SATA HD nVidia ultra video card ULTRA s watt PSU nbsp

Relevancy 82.56%

I have a server that I would like HD Power Supply Question Power Consumption & to upgrade to TB Hitachi HD s They claim max startup current of A and idling down in the A range The platform will be a -series X with a Core Duo Graphics card is small does not even require aux power connector Not needed to just supply the KVM with x No other signficiant sources of V drain exist other than the MB CPU a slim CD-Drive for installs a slim floppy and one additional GB Power Supply Question & HD Power Consumption SSD startup drive W when active I am looking at an W Corsair I ve heard these are quality supplies and I don t want Power Supply Question & HD Power Consumption multiple rails since no one really knows what sort of Voodoo goes on as to how they divide multiple rails up And I don t want to get into that I will be using a single-rail V PS I can add a second if I need to but I d rather not Do you think this will be sufficient for handling Hitachi hard drives quot Green quot drives are a non-starter since they will drive my Raid controller and then me off the deep end with TLER issues I do have staggered spin-up control of the drives with the controller Thanks for any help nbsp

A:Power Supply Question & HD Power Consumption

Power Supply Question & HD Power Consumption, Pt. 2 - Laptop vs. 3.5"

My second question is this - I have a BTV server that needs to be on at all times during the season to record shows during day and evening.

Suffice it to say that you CANNOT reliably put one of the critters into sleep/hibernate mode and expect it to wake up and reliably record a show. It just won't happen.

Now, this is one case where I can use "Green" 3.5" drives, but I am also considering banking 500GB 7200RPM or even 5400RPM laptop drives. These will all be on a raid controller, but since they will be in pass-thru mode or RAID 0 mode the controller won't freak over TLER like it would with RAID 5/6 and mark the drives bad. The controller also has more than adequate cache to handle a 5400RPM spindle as OTA HDTV generates little more than 2.5MB per second per channel. Even 4 channels at once is 10MB/s and that should not tap the ability of a 3Ware controller with cache on 5400 RPM RAID 0 or even pass-thru drives.

My question is this - 2 500GB laptop drives burn much less startup and idle current than a single 1TB 3.5" drive. Has anyone tried running multiple laptop drives on a RAID controller, and what sort of luck have you had? What sort of sustained throuput can you obtain?

Electricity is a huge factor here, at 12 cents per KWh. I can recover the marginal cost of 2 500GB laptop drives vs. 1 1TB 3.5 drive.

Case construction and drive cages are not the issue here.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-question-hd-power-consumption.128749/
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi All Happy New Year to all members and technical assistants I have a little issue in which I require some help and guidance I have a PIII MHZ replaced power Pc supply after wont power on MB Pc wont power on after power supply replaced memory with a ASUS MB- Recently it died on me and assumed that the reason Pc wont power on after power supply replaced I could not get to power it up is due to my power supply I went out and spent the money and bought a brand new power supply from a computer retailor I saw him remove it from a brand new case I Pc wont power on after power supply replaced installed the power supply trying to power it up I can see the fan rotate a little bit but not enough to power on Changed socket and it power on It booted up but after sec it shut itself off and now I cannot power it back on until min later when I went and change power socket once more This time the power did not stay up very long As soon it powered up no more than min later while it was loading windows Xp it shut itself off nad now again can t power it back on I have a power extention and power bar in which I used and both shuts the computer off Anything else plugged to it doesn t seem to do any affect This is the second new power supply I m trying What else can it be I have not tried to place the computer in a different room on a different plug yet I will try that tonight but in the meantime what else can I try Thanks for your help and listening Cheers nbsp

Relevancy 82.56%

My power supply died a few days ago and I have replaced it. My PC will now boot but will not send a signal (turn on) the monitor. Everything on the PC seems to work but it just will not turn on signal to the monitor. I have tried two different monitors with the same result.

Help!?!?!

Thanks,

Tod

Relevancy 82.56%

So I hooked my pc up after I took it w/ me to work becuase I though I was going to a lan tonight. But when I came home and plugged it back. I noticed the power supply box light was blinking. And it wont turn on. No power or what so ever. I need help BADLY

Thanks

A:Power Supply Light Blinking. No Power :(!

Have you opened case to make sure all connections are secure? Something may have come loose while you were transporting it. Give us more info about your computer (e.g. make and model, cpu, ram, name of psu, etc.)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/power-supply-light-blinking-no-power-84515.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Ok so lately I have been getting a BSOD at very random times and it looks like a Diver Power State failure. SO all of my friends and every website I go to makes it seem like I need to get a PSU. Right now I have a Quad Core and a 8800GT and 375W PSU. So my friend told me to get a new 700W PSU.

So, if the only fix is to get a new PSU? I tried to rollback my GPU driver but it didn't help.

So any ideas?

A:Driver Power Failure = New Power Supply?

You're greatly risking the health of your whole computer while running with such underpowered power supply. Do yourself a favour and get a quality PSU. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010 That's the cheapest one that is enough and of good quality that I could find with a quickish search.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/driver-power-failure-new-power-supply.766751/
Relevancy 82.56%

Finally broke down and started building a new system - I m too old to game this all started out as a home video project Anyway - gathered all my components now I m working to assemble them The case power plug. fan power New for supply, no schematic, looking came with New power supply, no schematic, looking for power fan plug. an Okia Model -ATX power supply But no wiring schematic I m trying to identify the power supply fan plug - what New power supply, no schematic, looking for power fan plug. seems to be it doesn t at all match the connector on the board And I ve got that positively identified by the board manual The board has a small male pin connection The only thing I can find that might be the fan connector coming from the supply is a small pin plug at the end of of the New power supply, no schematic, looking for power fan plug. strings of drive power harnesses Nothing tucked up behind the supply case or anything Is that likely to be it Or would that be for a floppy or something I tried to Google for a wiring schematic but could find nothing In fact nothing much at all on this brand of supply - just a couple places that sell them Please don t tell me I got an el cheapo that isn t worth having At the risk of getting ahead of myself in case I need to adapt something like that to the different style male connector on the board in this case or something else I may find as i progress is there some type of source for adapters or what would I do Bear with me this probly won t be the last question I ll dream up - just getting started While I m at it - the board manual talks about a connector for a power supply that senses board temps - that s another reason I d like to find a schematic or some sort of instructions for the power supply OH The connectors for the fans in the case don t match the connector on the board either The board has another small male pin connector for the case fan s but these have a larger bigger pin pin connector Again - I suppose it s adapter time Guess I ll need that source Thanks for helping an quot old quot computer student still and probly always in a definite learning curve nbsp

A:New power supply, no schematic, looking for power fan plug.

There are basically two voltages available to you: 5V and 12V. Doesn't really matter where you get it from - some pin on the mobo or some wire from the PSU.

From the PSU the yellow wires are 12V and red ones 5V, black is ground. The fan voltages should be written on the fan itself, the black fan wire is ground, red may be 12V or 5V depending on the fan voltage.

Fan headers on the motherboard should be labelled so, check with a voltmeter what pin gives out what.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-power-supply-no-schematic-looking-for-power-fan-plug.35253/
Relevancy 82.56%

I have a generic MB (P-120 CPU ) which I just switched to a different case and power supply. It has an extra "six pin power type connection" in the middle of the board. Only one supply that I have matchs this and the wires are three green and three black. What is the funtion of this connector, it looks from the wire colors to be some form of switch.

Its a case of not wanting to swap out the power suppy from my other unit unless necessary. I have 4 other supplies and none have the extra wire, which is listed as P10.

Many thanks in advance.
WKR

A:extra power leads on power supply?

Sounds like typical extra +5V lead and can be used for any number of things...(riser cards,backplanes,to drive extra slots, etc.)
Without knowing the specs. on your motherboard this question is impossible to answer...Post Mobo identification (make/model) or obtain FCC ID and post that. Perhaps we can find a more definitive answer for you...BOL

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/extra-power-leads-on-power-supply.33877/
Relevancy 82.56%

Topic pretty much says it all. Im looking for a cool looking case with a better power supply than my current case. Price Range $20-$50.

ASPIRE [BEIGE] X-DREAMER TURBO CASE WITH 350WATT POWER SUPPLY WITHOUT SIDE-PANEL WINDOW
ASPIRE X-DREAMER TURBO CASE WITH 350WATT POWER SUPPLY WITHOUT SIDE-PANEL WINDOW
Features

Case Material

Metal
Main Board

ATX/ BABY AT
Dimensions(DxWxH)

440x200x430mm
Color

Beige / Black / Silver
Power Supply ATX 350W Power Supply(Horizontal) w/ I/O Switch
Drive Space 4x5.25" / 2x3.5" / 4x3.5"Hidden
Ports 2 USB + Audio (Microphone Jack & Earphone Jack)
Features 1)Acrylic Added to Front Panel for Polish Appearance
2)Side Panel Fan for Extra Ventilation
3)Screwless Side Panel
4)Automatic Drop-Down Doors for Color Case
5)Back Lighting Temperature Display LCD
6)Extended Body for All the Drives and Motherboards to Fit in.
Expansion Slot 7 Expansion Slots
Front Panel Switch Power / Reset
Led Display Power / HDD
Shipping Weight 20 lbs
Cu'ft 2.18'

Relevancy 81.7%

Hi, since the power of my Y3P with display at max birghtness does not hold very long it would like to build a powerbank for it. Since the Power Adapter is 20V 2A I wonder if I could put 4 x 5V (2A) Power Banks in serial and have 20V and enough amps to fuel the Y3P. I also ordered a cable with the right plug to connect to the Y3P. However it has 3 wires inside. When mesuaring with a meter one is ground and two deliver about 5V. How could that be? How would you wire it to power the Y3P. Does anyone has any idea?PS: I know this is gonna wipe warranty. 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Build-a-power-pack-with-4-5V-Power-Banks-f%C3%BCr-Yoga-3-Pro/td-p/3445652
Relevancy 79.98%

Hey, i'm building a computer but i haven't realized that the power supply i need is an atx 2.0. What power supply should i get??

I was orignally looking at the Ultra X-connect but it doesn't support atx 2.0 Damn.

Relevancy 79.55%

My PC suddenly shut off and wouldn't turn on, but the mouse and motherboard lights were still on. A tech took my PC and ran some tests. I assumed that either my Power supply or my Motherboard was unfunctional but he called me back telling me that it was neither, and that the problem was coming from "a part" that gave power to the motherboard. The replacement of this part would cost $80.

Am I getting ripped off? What part could possibly cost $80 and isn't the Power supply?

Relevancy 79.55%

HP Palvilion m c Motherboard IPIBL-LA Berkeley http h www hp com ewfrf wc lc en amp lang en amp lc en amp product amp task N Power Supply DPS- ab- a http www itwinkle com hp posu html Hello all this is my power Is NO motherboard? it or supply POWER, first post First let me thank all NO POWER, Is it power supply or motherboard? for being here and sharing your vast knowledge My PC and power supply is above web-links included for more accurate description Also I have scoured this forum internet attempting to resolved and yes there is a ton of info The problem is the I cannot find specific details quot similar quot to my problem regarding how they determined the repair action other than replaced power or mobo So hopefully when this is resolved this will help someone with my similar problem - Problem gt PC will not turn-on just as if not plugged into power source -- Sypnopsis gt Nothing unusual happened as far as I know Shut-down PC for the evening as usual next day went to turn it on nothing - Troubleshooting accomplished -- Checked power outlet amp cords checked good -- Green light on back of power supply is steady green normal indication -- Removed power supply to test with multi-meter Strapped jumpered pins green wire with ground blk wire All appears normal everything is in range of specifications values below pin pin pin pin pin pin pin pin pin pin pin - pin pin pin -- Tested my power button wires for continuity on PC case properly shorts -- Reassemble everything still nothing -- Disassemble entire PC motherboard is sitting on cardboard box --- Items plugged into motherboard -pin atx plug and from NO POWER, Is it power supply or motherboard? power supply -pin plug volt from power supply gig ram stick CPU amp CPU fan - Goal gt power-on motherboard -- Tried shorting power button pins nothing -- Tried shorting reset pins nothing -- Jump-started NO POWER, Is it power supply or motherboard? atx plug with paper clip POWERS ON See link below for example http www youtube com watch v FCspIGgBV amp feature related Unfortunately unlike the youtube video when I remove the paper clip I lose power and back to square one - Back to the PS tested PS with strap jumper on when I remove the strap the ATX loses power through its plugs though the green light stays constant green There is no external on off switch on the power supply -- Should the power supply lose power once the strap is removed -- If so how does the power supply know to stay on -- Any help is much appreciated trying to determine if power supply is bad MOBO etc and if I can repair it Also I cannot swap items I do not have any additional parts laying around ADDITONAL NOTES - When powered on the mobo pwr-btn pins and the reset pins have voltage accross them volts dc pwr btn pins though has quot NO quot effect when shorted volts dc reset pins resets when shorted it works the way it should - Attached additional items to see if I could fully boot PC System Fan note will not boot without this fan plugged-in quot ERROR System Fan Has Failed Service PC to prevent damage to the System Press F to continue quot video card geforce gt hp pn- key board plugged into PS keyboard port mouse plugged into PS mouse port Hard drive When strapped I can boot competely up and log-on to desktop When I choose quot restart quot via windows soft button it resets properly When I choose quot shutdown quot it will shutdown but then I have to remove the strap and reset the cmos I get no display unless I reset the CMOS to boot up properly again I m guessing ultimately its the power supply Since the problem directs back to losing power The PC boots properly when I make the conditions right so that would most likely eliminate a motherboard or cpu problem What I don t understand nor can I find any info on is how does the power supply stay activate I m aware of the shorting of the power button pins on the mobo Probably thinking too much into it but the power supply seems to be working accept for the mystery quot no po... Read more

Relevancy 79.55%

Ok so i do know what the no Power and supply 100%, mobo are power problem is this is more about what i can do to use my computer until i can fix the problem Ill start off with what the problem is My computer wont turn on from the get go i knew the power supply was okay Power supply and mobo are 100%, no power because the mother board has a green light on it showing that its getting power of course just in case i tried putting a new supply in but there were no changes At first glance the mother board looked good No blown resistors or anything of that sort i sent it to a friend to check it out though once again just to be thorough and sure Finally after Power supply and mobo are 100%, no power hours of tedious searching i found the problem The chip that the power button plugs into has blown out Very happy thats all it is Now my question to all of you is is there anyway to bypass using that board so i can run my computer until i replace it if i just unplug the little board that the button is a part of the computer obviously does not turn on when i attach the computer to power and i dont know how i can trick it into turning on without having the use of the power button Any info would be greatly appreciated Thanks Ryan nbsp

A:Power supply and mobo are 100%, no power

There are some motherboards that have a power on button directly on the motherboard. I don't suppose you have one of those? There are some BIOS' that can enable the keyboard to power on the PC by pressing any key. I'm using one of them now. Of course, the problem with that is to get the PC started in the first place so you can change the BIOS setting (if it has that setting).

What motherboard do you have?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-and-mobo-are-100-no-power.152069/
Relevancy 79.55%

Would a 500W power supply power this

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition

8GB DDR3 RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTS450 1GB PNY

Gigabyte SKT-AM3 GA-880GM

2TB HDD

DVD RW Drive

A:Would a 500W power supply power this

Hi QGamez,

I reckon a 500W wouldn't be enough but a 750W may be the right one. I had a look in a few forums and they had 650W & 750W etc but not 500W.

But wait for more input from the others and see what they have to say

http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-7-a/76505-would-500w-power-supply-power.html
Relevancy 79.55%

hey I have an interesting problem supply jumper power and power When I plug the atx power supply into my motherboard as soon as it makes contact the psu fan spins about times then power supply and power jumper stops which i suspect means its testing to see if it works or something But i have a computer out of the case and i power supply and power jumper might have made the fatal mistake of useing a paper clip to quot jump start quot the motherboard by contacting the power jumpers now whenever and metal contact is made paper clip the actual start mechanism anything it won t cut on Well me thinking i must have messed up the jumpers cut the psu green and red cord i double checked to make sure they were the power on cords and twisted them togeather and put electrical tape around them I know its not the best job but i was just testing a theory When I plug in the psu and its plugged into the motherboard the psu fan becomes turned on because of the twisted on wires and spins But the cpu fan and motherboard remain powerless I am wondering if i ve done something wrong or have screwed something up any help would be appreciated ps before the problems begain i installed the motherboard into a case because it was just components and i founnd a cheap case When I installed the motherboard I screwed metal screws into the contace points where the motherboard is supposed to rest I heard somewhere metal is bad for the bottoms of motherboards so that could be it thanks nbsp

A:power supply and power jumper

Disconnect External Power To The Wall Socket Before Messing Around In The Box!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-and-power-jumper.25244/
Relevancy 79.55%

I have a Windows XP Home Edition SP computer GHz MB Ram GB HDD Last week I installed SP on my computer because I had SP and decided to upgrade A couple days later when I click on quot turn off quot my computer restarts NOT shutdown When I click on quot stand by quot The screen goes black then I get a quot blue screen quot Like in Windows But it Power Supply Power or Strip? s dark blue and stays up for only a second Then the computer resets The next day my computer stopped Power Supply or Power Strip? that but Power Supply or Power Strip? then As soon as I press the power button the TV in the living room goes all fuzzy I turn it off I remove the power strip thinking that it went bad I do use every plug but other power strips in the house are full too I plug it directly into the wall The restart stops still fuzzy I unplug ALL the connections in the back of my PC except the Power and monitor It stops Plug it all back in Put it in another outlet in my room Does it again Change HDD power cable motor could be causing this I finally realize that it s the TV tuner card The cable connection is already being split into ths I had a bad plug on the TV splitter so the fuzziness got fixed I put the power strip back on and the restart is going on again I tried on a outlet too Why is my computer restarting when I click quot Turn Off quot Is the quot shutdown exe quot corrupted nbsp

A:Power Supply or Power Strip?

Check your power management settings (and reinstall software if needed, from the manufacturer website). I've run across many problems with SP2 messing with power management settings...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-or-power-strip.662593/
Relevancy 79.55%

Somebody, please tell me what this is and what's it used for?

Relevancy 79.55%

Went to dinner left PC running Came back PC shut down Would not restart no power lights fans LEDs nada zip zilch We had a brown out a few days back I figured the power supply finally crapped out supply...still no power power!? new installed Tonight installed a new power supply Antec Smartpower w No installed new power supply...still no power!? change I push start button absolutely nothing I have checked a power at outlet OK b changed power cords original is installed new power supply...still no power!? cord OK but I notice when I insert the plug into the recepticle there is a spark Now I m not much of an electrician but I don t think there should be a spark for just plugging it in c I have plugged my backup PC this one into the same outlet on the surge protector and it s running fine soooo the problem is in the computer If I plug the power supply in shouldn t the PS fan run It doesn t Can there be something bad on the shudder mobo like maybe the start switch or something Also confusing me I have sata HD this new PS has power plugs for sata My old power supply only had the regular pin plug that I plugged into the sata HD yet it ran fine Do I need to use the sata plugs on the new PS Cripes I m so freakin computer impared Please need help this is my gamer PC and I m a BF junkie Thanks for viewing this thread AMD GA K NS ATI XT mb Turtle Beach Santa Cruz gig PC XP Home sp nbsp

A:installed new power supply...still no power!?

Is the LED lit on the MB? Try bypassing the front case switch by putting the blade of a small screwdriver across the pins on the MB that the switch connects to.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installed-new-power-supply-still-no-power.441895/
Relevancy 79.55%

I have a Delta DPS-150GB B Power Supply out of an Apple Macintosh Power Mac computer. I would like to use it as a 12v/5A power supply for my model train layout. I have a couple important questions:

1) I need to know the pin-outs of the connectors (1-4pin, 1-14pin, 1-5pin on ribbon wire), specifically which ones control start-up and various voltage outputs.

2) Being a Switching Power Supply, I think there must be a load on at least one of the output rails. Can I create this with a simple resistor of some sort? if so, how exactly what would I need to do.

I can email photo of the connectors if that would halp. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Relevancy 79.55%

Came home walked in and noticed my PC was off monitor was on speakers on modem everything on as if the power had blinked out for a sec and my system had shutdown No Supply, lights no to Power power I pressed the power button on the front and got nothing i checked the power supply s own power on off switch on the back and got nothing no light that its on or anything thought maybe it was the cable so i plugged it into my other pc and the No power to Power Supply, no lights cable No power to Power Supply, no lights works so i m thinking maybe the psu went bad or took a hit Im guessing i just need to replace it How difficult is it to replace it by yourself i ve never done that before and do you think that its the psu at fault I m thinking that if there is not power on light then something is wrong big with it my heat temps stay down between C and C at the highest Also can i replace it with just any other w power supply or does it need to be a specific kind company i bought it from online listed it as dual core certified w psu no mention of v rail or anything else i guess i can get that from them if they have it on file nbsp

A:No power to Power Supply, no lights

Well sounds like your power supply took a power surge. Well to start with i would try a power supply. Now about replacing the power supply cheap is not the best way to go, learned from experience. Here is my recommendation: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
And for replacing a PSU not hard. If you need help removing it Post back i will walk you through step by step if need be.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-power-to-power-supply-no-lights.106985/
Relevancy 78.26%

hi guys as per one of my friend I could replace my memory RAM up to GB so I ve ordered Power Light Motherboard/Power 8300 AMBER Green XPS - Supply - Light a couple sticks of Kingston HyperX nbsp so I ve took slot and replaced GB Hynix RAM by GB HyperX Now I have a good old CPU that doesnt work plus it smell like burnt plastic with no apparent damage to XPS 8300 - AMBER Motherboard/Power Light - Green Power Supply Light the board or RAM nbsp Startup x BEEP No BIOS Motherboard Light Solid AmberBootup Light Flashing AmberPower Supply Light Solid Green I ve tried booting from nbsp a single RAM unit on slot one then slot two and nothing has changed anyone can help Motherboard Y MRGhttp www findlaptopdriver XPS 8300 - AMBER Motherboard/Power Light - Green Power Supply Light com specs- y mrg-dell Processor i Primary SSD Kingston HyperX Savage added Secondary Seagate TB TB added Barracuda New RAM nbsp ts HX C FK http www kingston com dataSheets HX C FK pdfOld RAM nbsp HMT U CFR C-H https www amazon com PC - - MHz-Hynix-HMT U CFR C-H -Unbuffered dp B BTRAS

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19987583
Relevancy 76.97%

I just purchased a new Dell PC.  I now get this message when I turn on my speakers:
power surge on the USB port. Unknown USB device needs more power than the port can supply. I have no idea why or how to fix it. Can anyone help me?

:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3513/t/19987247
Relevancy 76.97%

For the last two weeks every time I start my Dell INSPIRON E while using the power supply I am greeted with the following message quot The AC power adapter type cannot be determined Your system will operate slower and the battery will not charge Please cannot Supply power - AC type be determined....." "The adapter Power connect a Dell W AC adapter or higher for best system operation quot I press the F Key and everything works fine I ve read about this on other websites and most say it s a design Power Supply - "The AC power adapter type cannot be determined....." flaw in the power supply after the cord has been properly wound around the supply as designed Apparently a few of the cords internal wire strands Power Supply - "The AC power adapter type cannot be determined....." become broken and cause this message My computer is from June and shouldn t be having this issue so early or ever This seems like a flaw that should have created some type of manufacturers recall since so many people are having this issue I m of course out of warranty will Dell replace this free of charge nbsp

A:Power Supply - "The AC power adapter type cannot be determined....."

You are correct, the failure is due toloss of the power supply ID signal. Sometimes this happens because of strain on the plug, which breaks the signal wire. Some even are so severe that the insulation breaks away from the plug; this is due to rough handling. The other cause is one or more of the power socket solder connections to the system board become broken. This also is related to severe handling. I have seen one case where all three power connections and three of four mechanical connections were disconnected. If the power supply is bad, a replacement will cure the problem. If not, then the socket is bad, and this will require a system board replacement. If you are experienced, you can try to resolder the connections. I am experienced and was not able to get my daughter's E6000 to work by resoldered. More recent Dells are using a replacable power connection board which is a much cheaper repair.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19255676
Relevancy 73.53%

Is 400W would be enough for a computer with: Intel Core Q8300, ATI Radeon 4890 1GB, 4GB RAM... ? (I would use computer for gaming too.)
If not, what would be recommended?

Relevancy 70.09%

Help! i have just installed my Soltek 75DRV m/b into a b/n lcd case -gorgeous - and guess what...i cannot get any power i have tried

1. checking the external power cable and power sources
2. checking all internal power cables are secure (and the right way round)
3 . checking the CPU and RAM are secure

i am in the processs of checking that the jumper setting are correct by unpugging them all (HDD, power LED, Reset, etc...) and 'shorting the pins' - as i have been advised.

i was also wondering if anyone else had any feedback they could offer me in my time of darkness

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/conundrum-new-m-b-new-case-no-power.220152/
Relevancy 70.09%

Um, I have an old motherboard with a 9prong power switch thingy...
But I don't know where the ones on my new case go.... Help please?

A:Case Power switches

You have to look closely. Good light and a magnifying glass help. Where the case wires go is actually printed on the motherboard in very small print. Look at the base of the pins in you picture although I'm not 100% sure you're in the right spot. Is it where the old case wires were?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/case-power-switches.283024/
Relevancy 70.09%

Help! i have just installed my Soltek 75DRV m/b into a b/n lcd case -gorgeous - and guess what...i cannot get any power i have tried

1. checking the external power cable and power sources
2. checking all internal power cables are secure (and the right way round)
3 . checking the CPU and RAM are secure

i am in the processs of checking that the jumper setting are correct by unpugging them all (HDD, power LED, Reset, etc...) and 'shorting the pins' - as i have been advised.

i was also wondering if anyone else had any feedback they could offer me in my time of darkness

A:Challenge! New M/B - New Case - No power!

There could be a short between the motherboard and case. it might be advisable to pull the motherbaord out of the case and set it up on an antistatic surface. Then only connect the powersupply, CPU with fan, one stick of RAM and the video card. This is enough to get the computer to turn on.

The jumpers mentioned are not the cables from the front of the case. they are little plastic caps that sit over two pins. Make sure the Clear CMOS jumper is in the normal and not clear position and that any Front Side Bus(FSB) jumpers are set right fot the CPU - refer to the motherboard manual for postitions of jumpers.

Are all parts new?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/challenge-new-m-b-new-case-no-power.220150/
Relevancy 70.09%

I have two case fans connected to my Motherboard
I was using Speedfan to monitor speeds and Temps.
I had to remove the onboard graphics drivers to install the ATI card
All was well until I installed an ATI Radeon 128mb PCI Graphics card.
Then, No power from the mother board to the fans.
Is it possible to reinstall my Bios without losing everything.
Or is there something else I should be looking at?
I have connected the fans to an unused power pigtail.
They are working fine but, Where did my mobo power go?
I am not using Speedfan with this configuration.

I would really appreciate some help.

WindowsXP Home
Intel PIII Celeron 3.06 Ghz
Intel Motherboard D865GVHZ
512 mb ram
80 Gb HDrive
ATI Radeon 128 MB PCI graphics card

Relevancy 70.09%

I have a 1000W power supply, and I'm wondering if I added an additional nVidia 780 Ti if I would have enough power? Yes, I have already tried a couple of those online power calculators but I got a wide range of responses so I'm a bit confused.

Highlights of my PC...

i7-4770K @ 3.5 GHz (not OC as of now)
Nvidia 780 Ti video card
2 x 8 GB DDR3 RAM
1 SSD Drive
2 HDD
3 USB peripherals

Anything other info I can provide I'd be more than willing

Relevancy 70.09%

I believe I have a 250 w power suply, when this Ati AIW 9700 pro requires 300, is there anyway I can hook it up to something outside the computer, will it work with 250w, Ati "recommends 300w". If not, where should i get power supplies and is there a guide to installing them, i do not know how.

I have an HP a230 n
AMD 2800+
120gb HD
ATI Radeon 9200 128mb
512 mb of RAM (2 256mb's)

Looked inside- Here are the Dimensions
For my Power Supply
Depth- Around 5 inches
Height- Around 3 inches
Width- Around 6 in

A:Power Supply

well first of all check if your aiw 9700 pro has a molex power connector,i think the 9700 pros do have that,if they do than this has to be connected separately to a free power cable from your psu.200 w is not optimal even if you werent putting in a 9700 pro,you were bound to run into problems if this was a generic psu.since you have a amd 2800+,a 120 g hdd,512 mb ram and also some optical drive(i am guessing)a 200w would not be sufficient for your setup.get a new psu from a respected psu manufacturer like antec or enermax forton.a good psu is a one time thing-put it in and forget it.if your 200 w is a generic brand you really ought to consider an upgrade to atleat a 300w+ psu higher the better(if you ever want to upgrade or put more peripheral in).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply.23051/
Relevancy 70.09%

During a recent thunderstorm I was not using my computer but heard a pop noise Since I wasn t using the computer it was Hello Thanks. help. Everyone power need & supply I in screen saver mode which is a blank screen I went to the computer shortly after and it had no power It is connected to a surge protector along with my printer desk lamp and clock The computer had no power at all The printer desk lamp and clock all worked fine I first replaced Hello Everyone & Thanks. I need power supply help. the power cord connecting it Hello Everyone & Thanks. I need power supply help. directly into the wall power socket Still wouldn t turn on Next I removed the power supply and took it to a computer repair shop for testing The technician said it worked perfectly I reconnected the power supply making sure to secure the connections properly Still wouldn t turn on I did notice that when I reconnected the power supply and flipped the power switch a green light on the motherboard beside the -pin connector the power supply connects too turned on But the fans would not turn on the power supply or the fans used to cool the chip Can anyone suggest what I should test next or what may be the culprit I see no indication on the motherboard that it has been fried by a lightning strike Thank you in advance and thanks for the opportunity to search for help in this forum nbsp

A:Hello Everyone & Thanks. I need power supply help.

If it has made a pop sound then something has definitely blown, it can be a long winded process to figure out exactly what has gone wrong.

The best thing to do would be to remove all but the bare essentials and see if it will boot. Remove hard drive, all optical drives (cd, dvd drives), all cards bar the graphics , and have only 1 memory stick if you have more than 1 that is.

Let me know if you have any joy.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hello-everyone-thanks-i-need-power-supply-help.56971/
Relevancy 70.09%

Ok so I had a messed up psu in my pc for a while that was pushing 1.1power I got new psu that was the same brand new and my post screen timing was still slow still when I got the new psu is it possible to messup the voltage capasity on the mobo a bit if a messed psu has been in for a while maybe bust a capasitor

Relevancy 70.09%

i have just install a power supply and now when i power up my pc it turn on but it does not popup Windows Vista on my Screen and i cant open my dvd/ cd writer driver can any help (bad hard drive)

A:power supply

hi ok what happend to your old power supply and did you make sure you have all the connections in place with your new one

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/power-supply-345480.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Computer is an E-Machines T Motherboard IM GV OS Windows XP Home Edition service pack Here is my problem The other day I gone supply Power bad? was online on my computer when it suddenly shut down So I tried to restart it and everthing seemed to be going ok it was able to boot up but shortly after my desktop loaded it shut off again After that I tried to boot up again but it seemed to freeze up so when I went to turn the power off it seemed like the button didnt work so i had to just unplug it Now nothing happpens when I press the power button no power at all So now I assume that the power supply has burnt out as when I opend the case I did notice a faint burnt smell which seemed to be coming from the power supply No smoke though So my question is is it pretty safe to assume that the power supply is dead or is it possible that it could just be the power button Also Im wondering if my harddrive is ok I think so since it booted up a few time before after that I got the screen telling me an improper shut down occured and asking if I want to start in safe mode or last good setting etc Any help would be appriciated nbsp

A:Power supply gone bad?

Yes you can pretty much bet the PSU is bad. Probably the mobo as well. If you search this site you will see MANY descriptions of this same problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-gone-bad.81496/
Relevancy 70.09%

I was sick of my slow running computer so I bought 3 upgrades for it,

1. I bought 2 gigs of ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820161161

2. An ATI Radeon X1650 PRO AGP 512mb Graphics Card.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7691&CatId=318

3. A new power supply for the graphics card.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...600&CatId=1079

The graphics card needs 350W and my current Power Supply has only 300W. The graphics card requires a FDD connector and the new power supply does not have a FDD connector but the old one does. Is their a way I can cut the FDD connector off of the old Power Supply and cut off a not needed connector from the new one and twist the wires together and wrap them in electrical tape.

P.S. If you look at the page for the power supply it says it has an FDD connector on it and there isn't one on it.

A:New Power Supply help

Hi Flyboy12, welcome to TSF..

the GPU should come with the required power cable...

If not, you can pick up a molex-fdd connector from somewhere like ebay for a few pennies.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/new-power-supply-help-282806.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I was out of town all this past weekend. I was able to remotely connect to my computer on Saturday but during use, it disconnected me. When I returned home, machine was still one, two fans running, but that's it.

When I turned it off then back on, it doesn't boot, doesn't make that beep sound when you startup. Only two fans come on.

Brought it in to work today and a buddy says he thinks its the power supply because you can kind of smell that semi burnt smell coming from the back of the power supply.

Should I attempt to buy a new power supply without 100% knowing that it is the problem? Or should I just get a new computer? Thanks for your help in advance.

Relevancy 70.09%

I recently bought a new power supply for my sony vaio vgc ra840g the old supply has a 3 pin connector with blue white black wires there is --12 on the blue black is ground white is all over the place -3v to 5v the new supply don't have this connector I tried to splice into new supply but not sure what voltage to hook to white wire.turned on computer without plugged in screen says power fan abnormal. Any advice?

A:power supply

Just the obvious, find and use the correct power supply.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply.1134872/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hey,
some days ago i posted that my pc was turning off randomly. I sent it to the place i bought it and they told me it was the Power supply. They are offering me to buy this one : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171054

My desktop pc is:
amd phenom 9850
nvidia 9600gt
4x1gb ddr2 ram patriot
m3n-hd asus motherboard
Do you think that PS is good? or i should buy another one? i dont want the PS to fail again... and want a good one so i can upgrade my computer later...
which is the difference between that one and this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171037 ?? In my country its like 40 dollars more expensive the last one...

A:Power supply

Here is a good one:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018
I've never heard of cooler master PSUs, OCZ makes a good quality power supply. The difference is that the second one is more efficient than the first and has a system where you plug in rails as you go along.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply.1010735/
Relevancy 70.09%

The past 2 days when I start my computer either nothing will happen or it briefly starts then stops. Does this sound like my power supply?

Once it is up and running, I have no problems.

Relevancy 70.09%

I have a power supply that the fan turns on when you turn on the computer (normal) but then the fan stops running for a bit then starts up again but then turns off again, etc. etc... Is that normal??

Im running Windows 2000 Pro..

Thanks!

A:Power Supply

that is not normal. Sounds like a bad connection on the fan or wires somewhere or something drawing to much power. Could be the fan is ready to die.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply.148611/