Windows Support Forum

Dual-channel capable board, with 4 DIMM slots in 2 different colors--questions

Q: Dual-channel capable board, with 4 DIMM slots in 2 different colors--questions

Okay, my board is as described. I have a black bank and a blue bank. I plan on upgrading to 8 gigs of RAM this spring. With my motherboard's setup, would I benefit more from 2 sticks of 4 gig RAM or 4 sticks of 2 gig RAM?

A link to my board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8&cm_re=M4A785TD-V_EVO-_-13-131-398-_-Product

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Dual-channel capable board, with 4 DIMM slots in 2 different colors--questions

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Dual-channel capable board, with 4 DIMM slots in 2 different colors--questions

Link us to your motherboard's website. The manual should contain the correct memory configurations.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-capable-board-with-4-dimm-slots-in-2-different-colors-questions.158183/
Relevancy 93.31%

I have a problem and I think it s memory related I read the post about quot Dual-Channel Memory in Single-Channel Motherboard quot But it didn t help plus it was memory channel Dual board? single in Channel from Here s my computer it s old I know I don t have the money to upgrade all of it - Intel Pentium D GHz - EVGA GeForce GS MB GDDR PCI Express - Intel D GGCL ATI Socket Dual Channel memory in single channel board? MicroATX Motherboard - GB x MB PC DDR MHz CL Memory - Ultra -Watt power supply - Windows XP bit I recently bought a memory upgrade GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC Dual Channel Kit My computer worked fine minus the small memory amount before I installed the new memory After I installed the new RAM my computer posted got to the windows splash screen got to the log in screen let me log in then loaded the OS While loading the OS and launching other start-up programs my computer froze I restarted many times and it fixed it It never got past a few seconds after loading the OS and a few programs I reinstalled my old memory and it worked fine again without a hitch What is the problem Is it the fact that the new memory is dual channel and the motherboard is single channel I re-read the specs of my mobo and it said that dual channel is optional However when I go to the BOIS menu F on startup it says quot single channel mode quot whith the new dual channel kit is in Is there something in the BIOS I should change Something to download Please Help Thanks in advance - Veng nbsp

A:Dual Channel memory in single channel board?

Well, I can say I solved my own problem.

After I spent the last 4 hours trying to find the problem. I ran a bunch of mem tests, cleaned the mem slots, etc... It turns out it wasn't a hardware issue at all. I was wiggling my mouse on start up and noted the time it froze... and every time it froze an application was launching in the system tray.

Turns out it was Norton F'ing Anti Virus....

The second it launched the computer froze. So I booted in safe mode and disabled the start up and all other functions of Norton. Rebooted in normal mode, and sure enough, it worked! Without a hitch!

Now here comes the Beach of it. Since I couldn't uninstall Norton because I disabled it (i.e. nothing would run because all the extensions, shells and services for it were dead), I rebooted in safe mode to uninstall, BUT Norton doesn't work in safe mode... WHAT!? The damn program specifically states in a condescending dialog box that you "must reboot in normal mode to access Norton... blah blah blah"

What kind of Virus program doesn't let you access it in safe mode? Isn't that the point, to run a virus scan in safe mode? Piece of crap! But anyways, I digress.

So now I finagled a way to run in normal mode without Norton launching to uninstall it. Uninstalling as we speak, actually.

*SO*

To answer my own question:
Yes, dual channel kits work in single channel boards (Just make sure you uninstall Norton before you put the new RAM in, haha).
- Veng

p.s. After this... I'm switching to McAfee or some sh*t.... Christ. YOU HEAR ME NORTON!? GO SUCK A FAT HAIRY LOBSTER C*CK!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-memory-in-single-channel-board.141757/
Relevancy 92.45%

Hi Ive been having trouble 100% / Ram not Channel Dual Slots with the RAM on my PC for quite a while so ive finally decided to find out what the problem actually is Basically i run my System most of the time with x GB Crossairr Sticks of Ram For Dual Channel not 100% / Ram Slots a while now ive been having unstable and unsuccessfull boots using Dual Channel When Sticks of ram are installed the system will sometimes not post but when i remove one stick the system boots and loads fine When i boot the system with Stick of ram the system boots fine always but when i have in it sometimes wont boot The way ive found of getting it to boot Dual Channel not 100% / Ram Slots with sticks is to remove one boot the system with stick shutdown reinstall stick and boot PC this works sometimes and the system will Post but others it wont even post Ive tested the both ram sticks individually with the system and they both work individually however that depends on what slots they go into For example i have one ram stick that gets detected in DDR but not in DDR slot The other stick works in both slots A Side symptom im getting is the PC gives me a lot of errors talking about the checksum being different Not sure if that relates I hope you guys can help me out with this its really starting to annoy me now Full Specs Windows Ultimate bit ATi HD Radeon GB x Gb Crossair RAM Gigabyte G M-ES L Intel Pentium D Ghz GB Sata HDD GB IDE HDD Thanks Zippyo nbsp

Relevancy 91.59%

Hey I have a question guys...my mobo is a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP-Ultra Rev 1.2...Right now I have 2 slots with 256 mb of ddr sdram...I want to get another 1GB of ram put in but I also want to keep the ram I have with it...is this possible The mobo has 4 slots for memory but I've read that if I use all four or even 3 then I'll lose my dual channel and all of it will be ran off of one channel...any clues would help me out greatly.

Relevancy 91.59%

I have 4 RAM cards,
2 of them are G.SKILL Ripjaws 2GB 1866 (PC3 14900)
The other 2 are G.SKILL Trident 2GB 1866 (PC3 15000)

Here is what the manual says
It says, put matching pairs into the same colored slots.
Slots 1, and 2, are white, and slots 3, and 4, are blue.
Am I supposed to put the matching pair in the same colored slots?

Then it says
Channel A: DDR3_2, DDR3_4
Channel B: DDR3_1, DDR3_3
Am I supposed to put one pair into Channel A, and the other pair into Channel B?

I'm wondering if they made a typo about putting the matching pairs into the same colored slots, because then they would be on different channels.....

Am I better off putting one matching pair into channel A, and the other in channel B, since the RAM cards are slightly different?

A:Which slots for 2 different types of RAM for Dual Channel?

Put them as pairs in the colored slot to match, the computer will see them as being the same speed and dual channel.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/computer-diy/124843-slots-2-different-types-ram-dual-channel.html
Relevancy 84.71%

say I have a server board with 8 slots for RAM. For fastest performance with 4G, I should use 4x 1G spread across 4 slots? Rather then 2 x 2G across 2 slots? Now, would the performance decrease if I went to 6G, since there is an uneven amount of channels in use? Would appreciate any insight and links regarding this. Thanks

A:Dual Channel RAM on Server board

I remeber this topic conimg up before, and I had a gave a fairly detailed reply. The long and short is that it wont make a lot of difference either way, the best thing to do is go with whichever is cheaper.
For the tech bit, the 1 gig sticks have a slightly faster responce, but usibg 4 sticks instead of 2 means the overall bandwidth is effectively a bit less than that if you use 2 sticks. In real terms, these differences are about the same, but both extremely small, so it doesnt matter that much. For 6 gig, I would say 6 1 gig sticks, as you could keeo the pairings and not lose any timing cycles. If you can go to 8 gig, 4x 2 gig sticks would probably be slightly better, butagain, in real terms the differences are so small, it would take a pretty good man to see any

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-channel-ram-on-server-board.746871/
Relevancy 80.84%

The Motherboard i have is a - Supermicro X DA supporting Dual channel PC DDR ecc reg - gig total with slots http www supermicro com products E X DA cfm The memory sheme is interleaved so i must install modules at a time I have banks total each with slots Bank Bank Bank B A B A B A Ok i want to run dual channel - right now i have Dimms in slot B and A on bank So i have gig total ram So questions - Am i running in dual channel mode the way i have set up now I Just bought gig Dimms to go along with my dimms to total gigs in my system Now would i just drop in those gig dimms in bank - B and A Is that the correct way to run in dual channel mode BTW all the dimms are the same speed and make they are just differant Dual Ram Questions Channel sizes Thanks for your help nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-ram-questions.27483/
Relevancy 80.84%

I recently bought a 8 GB ram stick for my laptop.

My laptop has a soldered 4 GB ram stick and only 1 free socket.

Can dual Channel still work properly if both sticks are of different brands and capacity ?

Or are there any other setbacks ? =/

soldered Ram - Samsung 1333mhz 4 GB 1.35v

Removable Ram - Kingston 1333hz 8 GB 1.5v

A:Dual Channel ram questions.

no both sticks woukd have to be identical. the kingston ram will run undervolted so will probably run at a slower speed than 1333mhz, which will lower the access speed further.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/332811-dual-channel-ram-questions.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Hi all im currently running two mb sticks of pc ddr RAM with dual channel support Tomorrow im installing a pair of gb sticks of pc ddr also with dual channel support My questions are Ive been told that my sticks even though they are pc will slow down my gb sticks is this true Will I be able to run both pairs in dual channel on A A and B B What is the optimal placement of the two pairs if it matters at all ex gbs on A or B Thanks everyone in advance If my specs matter at all here they are Mainboard Abit AX Series VIA K T - Chipset VIA K T Processor AMD Athlon MHz Physical Memory MB x DDR-SDRAM Video Card RADEON X GTO Hard Disk WDC GB DVD-Rom Drive NEC DVD RW ND- A Monitor Type VW L HDTV F - inches Network Card IC Plus IP Family Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack DirectX Version c September nbsp

A:Questions about two sets of RAM (dual channel)

1.Older AMD Athlon 64 systems sometimes would clock down to 333Mhz when all slot were populated. Generally you just have to go into the BIOS and bump the speed back up to 400Mhz.

2. You can still run in dual channel

3. To maintain best dual performance you need to keep them in pairs, so just add the 1GB's to the empty slots.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/questions-about-two-sets-of-ram-dual-channel.920994/
Relevancy 79.98%

Hi all I am intending to increase the amount of memory of my back-up PC and I have two questions sorry if the questions are really basic but I am far from to be an expert on these matters I have one back-up PC with the following spec Processor Channel... memories Questions about and Dual P GHZ Mhz MoBo Asus P SDX Memory MB of Kingston DDR Model KVR X C sticks with MB Video Card Gigabyte Radeon XT Storage Main HDD Maxtor GB ATA MB Cache rpm - Slave HDD Seagate GB ATA MB Cache rpm Midia Drive of CDR-W LG amp Drive of DVD LG When I run some games that I like mainly racing games in some circumstances the physical memory available Questions about memories and Dual Channel... reach the bottom line around - MB So I think I can to deduce that my system has a bottleneck there I would like to buy more sticks of MB so my system would have MB and the memory should be from the same brand and specification But unfortunately I could not to find it so far It seems very difficult to find here in Brazil these brand specification with stick of mb So my questions are I need necessarily to buy new sticks of the same brand specification Of course it would be the ideal but if I will not find it would have some problem if I install new sticks of another brand paying attention with the latencies of it In order to maintain the Dual Channel working well I need necessarily have more NEW sticks of the same size MB For example currently I have sticks of MB total amount of MB Which would be the difference if I install ONE single stick more same brand specification with MB or if I install TWO new sticks same brand specification of MB each one Would the first act one single stick of MB to damage the POTENTIAL performance of my system comparing to the situation in which I would install sticks of MB Would this single stick not to work with Dual Channel enabled Recently I have changed via BIOS the latencies of my memories from default - - - to - - - and I felt that my system had a slight gain of performance better results with Dmark PCMark and Dmark The system seems very stable no problem so far so I would like to ask too if there is some risk if I maintain my memories with these more aggressive latencies Is there Well that s it Thanks in advance for any information nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/questions-about-memories-and-dual-channel.16155/
Relevancy 79.98%

I am currently running XP, and I have dual channel memory.

Right now I have x2 1GB DDR2 RAM chips (so 2GB of RAM)
They are in the corresponding slots.

I'm thinking of getting more RAM, but because XP can only see up to below 4GB of RAM, would it be better to get 2 more 1GB chips? Or just one 2GB chip? (I can get 2GB cheaper)

If I was to have the two existing chips running on dual memory, am I still able to just put in one more chip of ram, while leaving its other corresponding slot free?

Thanks a lot.

A:Dual Channel Memory on XP questions

read: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic65114.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-memory-on-xp-questions.129574/
Relevancy 79.55%

I have noticed a steady progression of either bad Dimm or Dimm slots. In the last 3-4 years as computers come to our shop I notice that people are complaining about lock-up problems and you go inside the machine and thump the ram chip and the machine will either reboot or give a hard lock-up. So my question is it bad ram contacts, bad slots or just cheap metals ? I have machines that are 8-10 years old and no ram problems at all that are still solid as a rock. The problem does not seem to be one certain manufacturer.

Relevancy 77.4%

I have a Dell Dimesion 5000 desktop and am upgrading RAM to 2 x 1GB. Which DIMM slots should I use? I have put them in 2 and 4 and the PC is working, but is this the best configuration to max the dual channel capabilities?

A:Solved: Which 2 of 4 DIMM slots should I use for RAM

Read here.

I believe you get better performance by having a 512 MB module in all 4 slots instead of having a 1 GB module in 2 slots and leaving the other 2 slots empty.

-----------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-which-2-of-4-dimm-slots-should-i-use-for-ram.1045060/
Relevancy 77.4%

I am troubleshooting a Dell GX620 (small form) because of faulty RAM beep and number codes. I reseated both 1GB modules and still got the error. I tried one at a time in the original (DIMM 1 and DIMM 2) slots and still got the error on both. When I switched to DIMM 3 then one of the modules would work: post and boot into the OS - no problem. Now, I understand that one of these modules is probably just bad. But why would one of them work only in the DIMM 3 slot and none of the others? Are the DIMM slots bad on the system board? Thanks in advance for any help.

-Dan

A:Faulty DIMM slots?

Does the other module work in DIMM3 or DIMM 4? You could just put the modules to slots 3 and 4, if they work in them. But, if your warranty's not over, you should get a new one, because of the faulty memory slots. Have you been using this computer for long? Are all the parts stock ones?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/faulty-dimm-slots.730383/
Relevancy 76.54%

The two DIMM slots in a C600 a customer brought in look slightly different at the key in the slot and I cannot fit anything in Slot 1, just Slot 2. Is there supposed to be a difference? (FWIW, Slot 2 has "Foxconn 0129" written on it and the other slot has "Foxconn 0128".)

A:Are the 2 DIMM slots in Dell C600 different?

Just looked on-line at the service manual.

Looks like the Mini-PCI socket is also under the memory module cover, I suspect you are looking at the Mini-PCI socket, it's not a memory socket?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/are-the-2-dimm-slots-in-dell-c600-different.474894/
Relevancy 75.68%

I am in the planning stage of building a Pentium 4 computer for graphics processing. I want 2GB of RAM. The motherboards I am looking at all have the Intel 845E chipset that requires DDR SDRAM. They will take 2GB, but they only have 3 DIMM slots. How can I use four 512MB memory modules?
Thanks,

Steve

A:How to install 2GB (4-512MB) when the motherboard only has 3 DIMM slots?

You spend LOTs of money on 2 512 and 1 1GB chip?

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/con...X64C25/1G&SearchType=KingPNFind&submit=Search

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-install-2gb-4-512mb-when-the-motherboard-only-has-3-dimm-slots.101427/
Relevancy 75.68%

Hey i was surfing the web and found this thread about 'Asus m2n SLI' - black DIMM slots wont insert my DDR2 RAM properly. and i am having the exact problem as this guy. Did anyone ever figure out why the black slots wouldnt take it? Its crazy? lol Any info is appreciated!

A:Black DIMM slots on Asus m2n SLI won't take my DDR2 RAM

Let's say we don't know exactly to which thread you are referring. Can you describe your problem in better detail?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-dimm-slots-on-asus-m2n-sli-wont-take-my-ddr2-ram.178616/
Relevancy 73.96%

Here's the problem, I'm building my new PC as we speak and I bought this mammoth cpu cooler (which while I knew it would be big I didn't read any reviews stating it covers a memory slot) which fully covers up my first ram slot and the heat spreader is too tall on the memory to try and weasel it in there. The Gigabyte's instructions tell me that there are two "dual channels" one using 1 and 3 and the other using 2 and 4. I installed the RAM into 2 and 4 because there is no other way for it to work. Is there any reason I wouldn't get the same performance out of slots 2 and 4 as opposed to 1 and 3?

A:Solved: Can dual channel memory be installed in channel 1 rather than channel 0?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-can-dual-channel-memory-be-installed-in-channel-1-rather-than-channel-0.930609/
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi I saw a post about the asus m n sl i motherboard on RAM properly DIMM slots my DDR2 black 'Asus - insert wont SLI' m2n here and thought i would ask for some advice or help I have recently bought more RAM for my computer hoping to add 'Asus m2n SLI' - black DIMM slots wont insert my DDR2 RAM properly the RAM i had already however after trying to insert the new RAM into the black DIMM slots for dual channel they wouldnt insert properly so i started thinking quot oh no ive bought the wrong one quot but then i removed my old RAM from the yellow DIMM slots put my new stuff in and they fit and work perfect so my problem is that none of the RAM i have will fit into the black DIMM sockets despite them both being pin mhz DDR They just wont slot in enough for me to click both clamps down if i manage to get the bottom of the RAM inserted so it clamps in the top end will sit up and if i get the top in the bottom end will sit up and so on and so fourth I have done a bit of research and all sockets yellow and black are supposed to be DDR sockets pin So why wont it take the RAM ive got nbsp

A:'Asus m2n SLI' - black DIMM slots wont insert my DDR2 RAM properly

Is it possible that you need to flip the RAM modules 180 degrees? The notch in the insertion end is not in the middle so it will prevent the RAM from seating if you insert it backwards.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/asus-m2n-sli-black-dimm-slots-wont-insert-my-ddr2-ram-properly.152463/
Relevancy 73.1%

I have 6 DIMM slots. 3 of them are red and 3 are black. Is there any difference between the two colors? I have a P6T mobo.

A:Difference between DIMM slot colors

There are 2 RAM channels. Each channel has a different color.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/105917-difference-between-dimm-slot-colors.html
Relevancy 72.24%

There are several cases I ve wanted to install memory in pairs to achieve dual-channel memory speeds but I ve come across a caveat or two about whether or not this is worth it Questions How do I calculate whether or not the FSB is fast enough to take advantage of the memory speeds I ll see cpuz refer to things like Calculating Channel the & Dual it???) bottlenecks FSB: Worth Dual-Channel (Is FSB Dual-Channel & FSB: Calculating the bottlenecks (Is Dual Channel Worth it???) memory as quot quot which I m not sure refers to the memory controller taking advantage of the up and down side of the clock waveform or if it s saying quot give up we re half the speed we need quot How do I calculate dual core beasts Do the internal quot processors quot share the FSB or do they each have their own resulting in double access speed attempts to dual ported memory note not dual channel Forgive me please my questions may be tripping all over themselves It s been a longgggg time since I ve calculated any of this out during my stint as a DSP software engineer I ll be glad to rephrase this in any way you all like nbsp

A:Dual-Channel & FSB: Calculating the bottlenecks (Is Dual Channel Worth it???)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-channel-fsb-calculating-the-bottlenecks-is-dual-channel-worth-it.868383/
Relevancy 70.95%

I checked the bios and couldn t find what voltages my memory is running at except I can increase it to or v I m using a GA- N -L board with is? on this board DIMM voltage an Athlon XP processor The memory DIMM voltage on this board is? I DIMM voltage on this board is? had from a previous computer wasn t compatible with this board so I m in search of new memory Here s the DIMM voltage on this board is? info on the current memory in the board at the bottom of the page I m looking for the voltage range that this board supports I think it is base v up to Thinking of running a gb dc kit from ocz geil or patriot but need some more info edit for spelling General Information A Empty A RAS RAS Single Bank A Empty Information SPD EEPROM A Manufacturer Melco Part Number Unspecified Serial Number Unspecified Type DDR-SDRAM PC MHz - DDR- Size MB rows banks Module Buffered No Module Registered No Width -bit Error Correction Capability No Max Burst Length Refresh Reduced x s Self Refresh Voltage SSTL v Manufacture Week of Supported Frequencies MHz MHz MHz CAS Latency tCL clocks MHz clocks MHz clocks MHz RAS to CAS tRCD clocks MHz clocks MHz clocks MHz RAS Precharge tRP clocks MHz clocks MHz clocks MHz Cycle Time tRAS clocks MHz clocks MHz clocks MHz Memory Controller Information Memory Controller Standard EDO Number of connectors Max Module Size MB Max Memory Size MB Supported Speed ns ns Supported Voltages v Error Detection Method -bit Parity Error Correction Capability Unspecified Current Supported Interleave -way -way nbsp

A:DIMM voltage on this board is?

ttt... After reading some more info from the stats, can you correct me if I'm wrong but it says
Supported Voltages : 5v Click to expand...

... does that mean I could run a 2.75v module and be able to adjust it .1 or .2v through bios? or run a 2.8v etc...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dimm-voltage-on-this-board-is.440304/
Relevancy 70.09%

hello!

my girlfriend's system is an old, ap-style, system with i believe a 120mhz processor and 16mb ram in two 8mb simms. the intel 82440vx board (which i cannot find any documentation to online) has one dimm connector. the schematic in the manual shows it as dimm 0.

when i plug a 64mb pc100 (kingsington value ram) into the connector and boot, the system does not recognize the newly added ram. if i remove the two simms, the system doesn't boot. i took the ram and plugged it into one of my systems and it worked fine. open for suggestions.

andrew

Relevancy 69.66%

I expect to receive my new Asus Hero board and i k at the beginning of this coming week I've built several systems but not since ' and am a bit confused re UEFI I plan to use my existing Sata II mechanical HDDs for the time being It seems like the more information I get the more confused I get I'll be doing a fresh install of win x So my questions can an mbr HDD use uefi Are there benefits caveats to mbr uefi Is it better to use GPT keeping in mind mech HDD I'd like to install from a GB patriot USB thumb drive I have an iso of win x w sp slipstreamed Should I use the Create Bootable Win tut or UEFI Bootable USB tut I do have a TB new capable UEFI board for install New WD sata GB drive that I use in a docl for backups Preferable to use as sytem drive in this case I appreciate any pointers or URLs Thanks for your patience with what must be elementary New install for new UEFI capable board questions for those in the know

A:New install for new UEFI capable board

Watch this video to better understand UEFI BIOS vs. Legacy BIOS - YouTube.

The only way to boot an MBR HD with UEFI is to disable any Secure Boot and set Compatibility Support Mode (CSM) or Legacy Mode to Dual or Enabled.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/304206-new-install-new-uefi-capable-board.html
Relevancy 69.66%

My ASUS P4V8X-X Motherboard does not support running in dual channel mode. But can I still run dual channel DDR PC3200 400mhz non-ecc unbuffered ram in it? Seems I could, but I won't have the additional performance gains of running in dual channel mode. Does anyone know for certain if I can or can't?

A:Solved: Dual Channel ram in a dual channel unsupported mb.....?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dual-channel-ram-in-a-dual-channel-unsupported-mb.778836/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hey Everyone I am brand spankin new here and I have a question for someone out there I currently have a SOYO motherboard which I have been having issues with and I am going to be switching to a ECS Elite Group board in a few weeks My question is when I bought RAM for my SOYO I bought Patriot Dual Channel DDR gb pair but the ECS board I am switching to does not support Dual Channel so can I still use the the sticks normally on the new board or I do I have to get new memory or a different board I would think it would just run Motherboard, on DDR will it work? Channel NON-Dual Channel Dual them as sticks of but Dual Channel DDR on NON-Dual Channel Motherboard, will it work? I am not sure and I wanted to know if anyone else knew this or not Thanks in advance for any help and sorry if I missed this being posted somewhere else I did try and search for the answer but didnt see anything Riika nbsp

A:Dual Channel DDR on NON-Dual Channel Motherboard, will it work?

rmsilver7 said:

when I bought RAM for my SOYO I bought Patriot Dual Channel DDR 3200 1gb pair, but the ECS board I am switching to does not support Dual Channel, so can I still use the the 2 512 sticks normally on the new board or I do I have to get new memory or a different board?Click to expand...

1. Yes.
2. No.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-ddr-on-non-dual-channel-motherboard-will-it-work.18506/
Relevancy 68.37%

My spec is in my profile, but I will also list it here.... I just noticed today that my RAM was running Single Channel mode, so I thought I would change it to Dual Channel mode... so I did.

It completes the Windows XP loading screen, then reboots... constantly, until I change it back to Single Channel mode.

Is there something wrong with my RAM? or is it the motherboard? or my PSU not giving the mobo enough power? I dont have every power cable plugged in, I have a 20 pin ATX power in the 24 pin plug, and the 4 pin ATX power plug and a 4 pin molex cable plugged into the motherboard. Could this not be giving it enough power?
Many thanks, system spec =

AMD Athlon 64 4000+
DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D
2 x 512mb Crucial Ballistix PC3200 DDR400
Connect 3D X1800XT 256Mb
2 HDD's etc.
Antec TrueBlue 480W PSU.

A:System reboots constantly, when I change my RAM from Single Channel to Dual Channel

Check your mobo manual, to see in which slots you need to put memory sticks to make it work in Dual Channel mode.
AFAIK you need 1 each of the same size/type in slots 1 and 3 (yellow) for DC.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/system-reboots-constantly-when-i-change-my-ram-from-single-channel-to-dual-channel.58206/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hey everyone I got a bit of a problem here and I'm at a loss on what to do to fix it Some background about the situation would be a good place to start A few days ago I came home from work and found my PC in a quot lights are on but no one's home quot state The power button was lit up and the fans were in motion but the monitors were in power saver mode not the normal on state with the blank screen saver I tried moving the mouse mashing on the keyboard but nothing happened So I reset the machine and it just went to a blank screen no beeps or messages just the same ole lights on no Stopped Suddenly Single Working, Remains Only Dual Channel Channel ones home deal again Now before this I had been having memory problems with blue screens saying quot memory management quot and quot IRQL not less than or equal quot So I thought it might be a bad strip of ram and even bought two Dual Channel Suddenly Stopped Working, Only Single Channel Remains more strips to replace the ones I had removed In the process of testing each strip I discovered that one was bad That was not the fix by the way After putting in the new ram in for a total of GB's of ram figured if I'm gonna buy new ram might as well increase the total amount it booted up and no more blue screens after loading into windows YaY it was fixed or so I thought Dual Channel Suddenly Stopped Working, Only Single Channel Remains A few weeks later the above incident occurred and the only way to get the PC to boot up was to pull two strips of the ram and insert the remaining strips into slots and for a single channel configuration Didn't matter which set of ram I used just so long as I didn't mix two different brands on the same channel It's never needed to be set in that manner before CPUID reports it as single channel with a blank entry in the DC mode so I assume its ganged up and in single channel YUCK While the PC is operational since I'm typing this up on it I know its not at its optimal configuration which annoys me to no end After researching the problem via Google and numerous forum post with info unrelated to my exact problem I decided to write up a post in the hopes that some one out there can help me to figure out if the problem lies in my motherboard doubtful or in the processors integrated memory controller I think its the Phenom's memory controller that is faulty or failing It's been in operation since almost continuously and its been a good computer and still is I think the new ram might have been the culprit that shot my memory controller in the back There CAS RAS ratio's do not match by one number one is at CAS the other set CAS and when all GB's was installed the ram would run at not the mhz it's rated to run So like a dumb ass not knowing enough I went in the BIOS and overrode the auto setting for the ram and set it mhz vs the mhz it was defaulting to Did I inadvertently over work the memory controller All the current Ram I have is working and not faulty So that only leaves the Mobo and the processor I don't have tons of cash to spend I'm a poor man So before I bite the bullet and buy a new Phenom to replace the one I have I'd like to try and verify if that is indeed the problem System Info Asus M A -M Motherboard AMD Phenom II X B E Ghz unlocked and over clocked it once but it was unstable back in NVIDIA GT GB mhz Core mhz Bit Width Bit to GB's of Ram when it worked it was at GB's now it's at GB for now SATA Hard drives all independent of each other not raided W OCZ PSU I think that's the gist of the system info one would need If it is indeed my processors memory controller and there is nothing that can be done with what i have on hand to correct the problem then I plan on buying a Phenom II X It's about the same price as my X was in Plus it has the same socket and should work with my motherboard Could the motherboard some how be at fault how can I test this without additional hardware Here is more information about my memory Sorry I didn't post enough information he... Read more

A:Dual Channel Suddenly Stopped Working, Only Single Channel Remains

Britton, go to the asus site for your motherboard. Download and install the latest drivers. Download a copy of your manual and review the bios settings. If need be manually input the correct timings for your ram. Also make sure to follow the ram installation documentation for which slots to use to enable dual channel.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/285468-dual-channel-suddenly-stopped-working-only-single-channel-remains.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I'm trying to decide what would give better performance, Dual Channeled 2x256 DDR400...or Single Channeled 2x256 DDR400 and 512 DDR2100 totalling 1gb RAM. I don't seem to notice much of a difference so far, but I haven't tried much. I figured I'd ask the pros at techspot for advice. :grinthumb

A:Dual Channel 2x256 DDR400 or Single Channel 1gb Mixed DDR RAM

& we are supposed to get your system specs how ? You could be using that Ram on a 600mhz Celeron for all we know.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-2x256-ddr400-or-single-channel-1gb-mixed-ddr-ram.17766/
Relevancy 68.37%

Single channel Nforce dethrones its dual channel stablemate quote quot ENTHUSIAST SITE amdmb com discovered this unexpected anomaly which could have far reaching Socket-A repercussions Soltek s bottom dollar SL-NV - motherboard which is based on the single channel nForce chipset is the cause of all this news What is amazing is that it beat Asus dual channel flagship product - the A N X Deluxe in the majority of benchmarks Ryan Shrout the amdmb com reviewer who put Soltek s motherboard through its paces suggests that its performance lead in UT K is down to the dual dethrones Single its channel 400 stablemate Nforce2 channel additional overhead that a dual channel system board has to deal with Looking at the rest of the results I would apply that comment as a general across the board statement Soltek s motherboard retails at a new egg price of - the version without LAN will apparently be sold for under Asustek Single channel Nforce2 400 dethrones its dual channel stablemate s flagship adds an additional which would buy you a Thoroughbred and its cooling kit Will this more for less attribute drive more enthusiasts to buy Soltek s better performing solution Soltek s overall performance lead is not earth shattering but like everything else in this industry perception is everything Of the benchmarks that were run Soltek s board won of them drew and lost only one For the record Quake Evenly matched results UT K to lead D Mark K Wins by a nose PC Mark K Two out of three is good enough SiSoft Sandra K A win in memory but ties in CPU Cachemem to lead Business Winstone K amp K A win in both CC Winstone K K amp K Soltek takes the Triple Crown SPECviewperf Asus only win ScienceMark Pretty much a draw quot nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/single-channel-nforce2-400-dethrones-its-dual-channel-stablemate.6274/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi.. So as usual im an idiot and i looked into my case and am still debating if my ram really should sit right next to eachother and i started Speccy and it said that i had single channel ram 2 different channels with 16GB total. I got confused becouse the motherboard manual said i should put the ram like i did.. So now i moved one ramstick, Whent into bios to check if everything was working like it should and now i have dual channel 16GB ram 8x2.
This started a question.. What performance boosts does dualchannel give over single channel.. I know its better but just. In what cases will it be "better" and will you notice it? And in witch scenario will you notice it?

A:Single channel VS Dual Channel RAM performance boost?

almost all mother boards that have 4 ram slots have colour coding. the 2 the same colour, normally a space in between is the dual channel setup.

dual channel effectively doubles the memory bandwidth and halves the cache.

in real world terms youll get a 5-20% performance increase with dual channel when running bench marks.. you probably wont notice it in terms of speedyness though.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/324907-single-channel-vs-dual-channel-ram-performance-boost.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Would it just clock the ram down and if so would there be a huge performance hit?

Thanks,

Kevin

A:Dual-Channel Memory in Single-Channel Motherboard

They would work in a single channel motherboard, and it wouldn't effect the speed of the actual RAM however it would effect the overall speed because the memory wouldn't be able to send data back and forth as fast as it could in Dual-channel motherboards.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-memory-in-single-channel-motherboard.71276/
Relevancy 67.51%

I m facing an unusual predicament Channel Question Channel/Single Solved: Dual RAM at the moment I currently have Solved: Dual Channel/Single Channel RAM Question Windows Ultimate installed on my custom tower The Solved: Dual Channel/Single Channel RAM Question tower runs an Solved: Dual Channel/Single Channel RAM Question Intel Pentium ghz the OS is bits and initially was installed with one gig of RAM MB sticks dual channel DDR Windows wasn t sluggish surprisingly and I used the upgrade advisor to determine if my system was ready and I found it was I was hoping to add a little quot juice quot so I tore into an old system and found a GB stick of DDR RAM Now I can change the dual channel configuration to single channel operation and run Gigs of RAM or I can keep the dual channel at Gig I ve read on Tom s Hardware that the difference wasn t noticeable in dual vs single but I also know that my processor was built for dual channel Are there any recommendations Make the single channel upgrade or keep the dual channel configuration At some point I will likely purchase another chip but for the time being I m curious about anyone who has been in my position or knows memory well enough Thanks for any input nbsp

A:Solved: Dual Channel/Single Channel RAM Question

depends on you applications. When math is very important, dual channel might out weigh more RAM. If the system is generally sluggish, then more RAM is more important than dual channel.

Honestly, With Vista/ 7... I'd bump to 2GB period.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dual-channel-single-channel-ram-question.870420/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi guys,
I want to purchase more ram sticks for my desktop. It already has 3GB in it. 2x1GB sticks and 2x512MB sticks. I would like to take it all the way to 4GB. If I replace the two 512mb sticks am I better off getting a matched pair of sticks for dual channel. A matched pair in most stores seems to be more expensive than just buying two sticks of the same type. What is the difference? My motherboard does support dual by the way.
I think when I bought the two 1GB sticks I just bought 2 of the same make in pc world, but not a matching pair.
I would like to know, does it really matter?
Thanks.

Posted via Mobile Device

Relevancy 67.51%

Hi, I currently have 2x2GB Corsair DDR3 1333MHz RAM which I had bought around 3 years ago. I am currently thinking of upgrading to 8GB. However, my vendor tells me that 2GB sticks are no longer available for Corsair and that I have to either get a 4GB or 8GB stick.

My current 2x2GB runs in dual-channel mode. If I buy an additional 4GB stick, it will run in single-channel. I use the desktop mainly for gaming purposes. So, I just need to know if mixing 2 modes will cause any problems?

A:Any drawbacks to mixing single-channel and dual-channel for RAM?

Shouldn't cause any problems assuming it is otherwise compatible.

The difference between single and dual channel is minimal for most usage scenarios. If the RAM you have now magically went to single channel 5 minutes from now, you likely wouldn't notice.

You could discard the 2 x 2 you have now and replace with 2 x 4 and get dual channel, but nothing at all wrong with instead spending that money on cigareets, whiskey, and wild, wild women. At least you'd have something to show for it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/335110-any-drawbacks-mixing-single-channel-dual-channel-ram.html
Relevancy 67.51%

This is probly a very simple question, but i'm after converting my ACER Aspire 5600 laptop from using Dual Channel RAM to Single Channel. I've been told you can do this in the BIOS, but i'm not exacly sure how. I've had a breif look on google but can't seem to find anything of any help.

Thanks a lot,
- Lee

Relevancy 66.22%

Hi,

My system is abit IP35 quad core 2 q6600 running 4gb of RAM, all the same spec.

Win 7 64bit and Win 7 32 bit partitions.

I recently added 64 bit partition to run more RAM, so the slots 2 and 4 will have gotton dust in it as it was unused for ages.

If I wiggle the slot 4 in sometimes I get 8gb and dual channel RAM.

At the moment I have single channel and on 4gb, does that mean I am using 1gb of each of the 4 slots.

The ram is ddr2 2gb sticks x 4.

Do I need to clean the slot?

also Java based apps are crashing on 32bit and 64 bit.

Just clean the slot? what with, whats the best approach?

Thanks

Neil.

A:Single channel DDR2 but can run Dual channel

So magically I have 8gb and dual channel back.

But on the SPD tab the program only shows 2 slots in use.

Whats going on in my PC is it working like it should?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/306397-single-channel-ddr2-but-can-run-dual-channel.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hello forum first time here. I have a rather important question.

I currently have Corsair Vengeance memory in my PC

This memory is Triple Channel

I also have 8GB of GsKill dual channel memory. Since i have 1 extra slot left on my Mobo i was gonna use 1 of my old GsKill sticks to give my PC 14GB of ram. There identical except brand and dual / triple channel. Does Dual / Triple channel prevent these from working together?

Thanks in advance.
Jason

Corsair Memory Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233146&Tpk=CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9
G.SKILL Memory Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193&Tpk=F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

Relevancy 66.22%

My current computer, which I bought late 2004, came with 512MB dual-channel RAM. Because of the 70 updates to Win XP that have occurred since then, with their attendant security crap that burdens the system, I decided today to double my RAM to 1GB. I did that by buying a single 512MB PC 3200 DIMM.

However, my PC has 2 pairs of memory slots. The original 512MB were installed as two 256MB DIMMs, one in one slot in each pair of slots so it was accessed as "dual-channel" RAM. My ASUS MoBo book says that if you insert a SINGLE DIMM in any slot, the entire memory will be addressed as single-channel. So my question is, what's the difference in speed between dual- and single-channel memory? Am I cheating my computer out of higher memory speed by installing a single 512MB DIMM vs. using two 256MB DIMMs which would run as dual-channel memory?

A:Dual-channel vs. Single-channel memory

Yep, although the actual effect may not be that noticeable. You are cutting the memory bandwidth in half.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-channel-vs-single-channel-memory.559931/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi, I have 2x1GB DDR400 single channel memory. I was wondering if I could add 2x1GB of dual channel memory? So i would have 2gb dual 2gb single.

A:single channel and dual channel ddr400?

There's no such thing as dual channel memory,if the two sticks you've got now are exactly the same,then you can probably run them in dual channel.It depends on which slots you use,it's either 1&2 or 1&3.Check your manual to see,or post your motherboard make and model.Also,is there any reason why you want 4gb of memory.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/single-channel-and-dual-channel-ddr400.39586/
Relevancy 66.22%

hello everyone this is my first post. any help would greatly be appreciated.

Well my question is can dual channel and single channel be used at the same time? My abit board supports single and dual channels. Right now I have one single channel stick of ddr memory. i'm thinking of adding memory, and i wondered if I get a dual channel set, can i still use the existing single memory stick? let me know thanks.

A:can dual channel ddr be used at the same time with single channel ddr???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-dual-channel-ddr-be-used-at-the-same-time-with-single-channel-ddr.358189/
Relevancy 66.22%

Will dual channel RAM work in a single channel RAM motherboard?

Relevancy 66.22%

Ok, as of now I have two 512MB sticks of Ram in my Gigabyte GA-7N400-L board. Based on this diagnostic program I ran, it said my RAM was "single" channel (guessin that means it just regulare DDR).

What I'm wondering is, if I buy a Ram kit of two more 512MB Dual Channel Rams sticks, can I get the dual channel to still work on that set while still running the other two DDR sticks (non-dual on them of course)?

A:Mixing Dual Channel and Single Channel Ram Help!

:wave: Hello & Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

No, dual channel has (next to) nothing to do with the ram chips, but how the motherboard accesses the ram.

The reason you se Dual Channel RAM packages are that those are matched pairs (from the same production batch), and are supposed to give better results than two identical ram sticks bought separatly....

Also, buying dual channel sticks won't do anything for you if your motherboard/cpu doesn't support it. But you don't have to worry about that with your current mobo.

Actually, your mobo has a very good and detailed manual, which tells you how to use dual channel ram stick on page 19.
It even has support for using 4 sticks of ram, unlike many other (older) mobos.

So read that page, and if you still have questions, come back here.
If you can't find your manual, you can download it from here..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mixing-dual-channel-and-single-channel-ram-help.17427/
Relevancy 66.22%

hi all,

recently it came to my notice that i was running my RAM on single channel mode (2x2gb) on my dh67bl mobo. i saw it in cpu z and it showed single channel.

So, i changed my ram and placed it in identical slots and now the Cpu z shows dual channel RAM. but i don't see any visible difference in performance.

Why is it so? is there any performance difference in running the RAM in dual channel / single channel?

kindly advice,
regards,

Ray

A:RAM: Single Channel to Dual Channel.....no difference?

Hi Ray,

By placing your RAM into dual channel mode, you have effectively doubled its bandwidth, meaning that twice as much data can be transferred at a given point in time.

There should, in theory, be a noticeable difference between single and dual channel mode. However, this depends on the application. For many programs, such as Office (Word, Excel, etc), there will be a slight difference but not as much as you will see with graphics editing or movie conversion.

What is your current WEI score for the memory component? Rerun the assessment and you should see an improvement in this value.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/222553-ram-single-channel-dual-channel-no-difference.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Well, as it says in the title:
Is single channel 1gb as good as dual channel 2*512 mb.

I have tried to add memory to my mobo, but something went wrong and now my mobo only sees the first memory module. Really, I've tried everything and now I give up to return to normal life until I buy a new system.

So at first I had 2 * 512 mb memory at 800 mhz, dual channel.
Now I have 1* 1g memory at again 800 mhz, but single channel.

So is that ok, or is running at single channel much inferior to dual channel, even if I have the same amount of memory?

A:single channel 1gb as good as dual channel 2*512 mb?

No. Single channel is NEVER better than dual channel. Dual channel is always better and runs faster.

read: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic65114.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/single-channel-1gb-as-good-as-dual-channel-2-512-mb.80600/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi, can anyone tell me if there could be a benefit buying 4 x 1 GB DDR2-800 DIMMs, as opposed to 2 x 2 GB DDR2-800 DIMMs? I know the difference between single channel and dual channel is pretty huge, but I'm not sure if it would matter going to quad from dual. I haven't found anything that really helps on the internet.

The reason I am asking is because 4 x 1GB DIMMS are about 25% cheaper than 2 x 2GB DIMMS, however for future upgrade purposes I will have to get rid of DIMMS with the 1 GB sticks, where with the 2 x 2GB I wouldn't. I think the differences between saving now and saving later when upgrading is negligible...so if there is a noticeable performance difference that would help choose.

Thanks!

Relevancy 66.22%

I just bought a Dell Studio XPS with an Intel Core i7 chip and fell into the trap of buying 8GB of DDR3 SDRAM (config 2x2GB/4x1GB), which has to be dual channel. My understanding (now) is tri channel is a better way to go. Dell will not refund or exchange sticks.

Dell tells me that the mother board will support tri channel. Can I convert to 6GB tri channel simply by pulling out 2 1GB sticks and creating a 2, 2, 1+1 config, or would it have to be 3 2GB sticks. In the same way, could I buy another 1GB stick from Dell and create 9GB tri channel using a 2+1, 2+1, 1+1+1 config (or does it have to be 3 3GB sticks)?

How does 8GB dual channel compare with 6GB or 9GB tri channel memory?

Are tri channel memory sticks inherently different from dual channel sticks?

A:Question: Dual channel vs. tri channel SDRAM

Hi milrobo,
just to add to what Rick said about memory amount, have a look at this test.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-module-upgrade,2264.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-dual-channel-vs-tri-channel-sdram.128834/
Relevancy 66.22%

Is it possible to fill all of the memory slots on a motherboard that supports dual channel with non-matching ram (one chip at a time as I need/afford it)? If I just put more ram in will the motherboard recognise all of it and just not take advantage of the second channel, or will it not recognise that non-matching ram in the second channel sockets?

Thanks!!

A:Dual channel RAM in single channel mode

It will recognize it but not run in dual channel if the pair are mismatched.
Ps; The pair don't have to be exact matches by the way, same speed, type, size, and timings allow for two different brands to run in dual channel.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-ram-in-single-channel-mode.124024/
Relevancy 66.22%

im looking at a lga 2011 x79 board. namely this one>
Newegg.com - ASRock X79 Extreme6 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

but am looking at this ram>
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8Q-16GBZH

do i absolutely need to place 8 sticks of ram in? or can i get away with staggering 4 sticks accross the board instead?

A:dual channel ram in quad channel inputs.

I haven't seen any reviews of the x 79 boards, but I would be very very surprised if 4 sticks would not work.

Or even two sticks.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/225782-dual-channel-ram-quad-channel-inputs.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Heya, I'm new here, recently, my friend said I had a computer that could have a "dual DDR channel"? I dont know much about computers, and i wanted to know more, so he checked my computer with a program thats called "Cpu-Z" and it said my DDR channel was Single, even though all my "RAM" slots are filled with DDR 512mbs, any reasons why?

A:Switching from Single DDR channel to Dual DDR channel?

Well there may be a setting in Bios to set it for dual channel
Or even a little jumper on the Motherboard that must be placed on the correct pins

You will need to download your computer's (or motherboard's if it's not a name brand) Manual

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switching-from-single-ddr-channel-to-dual-ddr-channel.114512/
Relevancy 65.36%

Three questions please:
1) To connect 8 other Windows 98 PCs to a printer that is locally installed on another Windows 98 machine, can this all be done from the host or will an installation have to be made on each of the 8 machines? What is the procedure for doing this?

2) I will be buying a new drive for my PC soon. I have been told that SCSI is the better buy. Can you provide info on SCSI -- is it a higher end drive, more popular, better performance, better buy based on size, etc. compared to IDE?

3) If one installs regular DIMMs on a motherboard rather than the particular ones supported by the motherboard, would it cause any damage? Or is it not possible to do this because of the size or placement of notches of regular DIMM vs. DDR DIMM?

Thanks much!

A:Win98, SCSI, and DDR DIMM questions

To install the shared printer on each machine, use the add Printer wizard on each one, and yes, you will have to load the drivers on each machine.

To use a SCSI drive, you have to use a SCSI card . . My experience is the modern 7200rpm IDE drives are virtually as fast as SCSI drives . . and not woth the bother.

Memory modules have diffferent slot configurations and will only fit in the slot it is designed for.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win98-scsi-and-ddr-dimm-questions.462010/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hello I have for quite some time now been waiting to build my own PC I have friends to help me Magazines books and websites However I would like to make sure that I have a few things right before I order everything here they are btw I m pretty much copying the PC they made all out in PC Magazine on Sept so the majority of questions will be about things from there On the DIMM's, other and RAID, Building-a-Pc-Questions Abit IC -G Motherboard and the Two Western Digital Raptor WD s they used a RAID configuration However I would only like to buy Hardrive for now Is it possible to not have a RAID set up until I have my PC built and then install the second HD when the money comes around They also say the Motherboard supports SATA I ve read up on it a bit but don t quite understand it Is it necessary How will it help hurt me If I don t have it They use Kingston HyperX PC DIMM memory I looked on the motherboard and it said it supported up to GB DDR RAM Would I be able to get that much if I use the RAM that they used Or Would I be able to use another type of RAM and get more I need some websites where you people buy your PC parts cause I looked for PC memory and I can t seem to find it anywhere but If I can get more max memory with a different type then please recommend DIMM's, RAID, and other Building-a-Pc-Questions it Just some websites where the prices are good would be highly welcomed Thanks Sorry if its a bit uh jurbled I guess and I ll try to repeat something if you don t understand it Thanks a lot P S I don t want to go with the GHz P as I d much prefer to go with a or GHz since its much cheaper and I could always upgrade later would it fit the motherboard and DIMM's, RAID, and other Building-a-Pc-Questions would everything fit together P S S Goal To get a GHz with GB I want to MAX it would as I get my paychecks with a video card that I will upgrade later Thanks again nbsp

Relevancy 64.07%

Hello,

i understand how to set up dual channels with matching pairs - that is not my question. What i can't find the answer for is this:

If i have a matching pair of 512 = 1g
and a matching pair of 1g = 2g,..

Does it make a difference which pair is in which channel? Should i have 2g in channel 1 and 1g in channel 2, or would this make no difference?

thank you!!

Madilyn

A:Dual-channel RAM -- more in channel 1 or 2? Does it matter?

You can run different stick of RAM at the same time in Dual channel asynchronous, but I think they'll operate at single channel speeds.
If you decide to run in asynchronous mode, I think that it doesn't matter.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-ram-more-in-channel-1-or-2-does-it-matter.178524/
Relevancy 64.07%

someone suggested I change my i7 spec from s 1366 2.66Ghz i7 and 6Gb 1333mhz Triple Channel memory to 1156 2.8Ghz i7 and 4Gb 1600Mhz Dual Channel Memory ...

im wondering what kind of an performance impact will moving from Triple channel board and memory to dual-channel board and memory have - will this impact performance much?

thanks

A:i7 - Triple Channel VS. Dual Channel

Well it seems that you are upping the CPU from 2.66 to 2.8 this would probably balence out the tripple down to dual channel performance loss if not beat it. But then you are going from 6gb to only 4gb of RAM so that would probably lower performance on some really demanding programs or some seriously intense multi-tasking.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i7-triple-channel-vs-dual-channel.890790/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hey Guyz just a question, i have 1 gig of ram running single at the moment. i have a amd 64bit 3000+ processor running windows xp home. am i better to run my ram config this way or to run 512mb dual channel? if not to much hassel please explain! thanks!

A:Single Channel vs Dual Channel Ram

check out this article....

First of all does your mobo support dual channel? AMD socket 754 do not support dual channel. I have a 754

Here is an article that answers all of your questions...
(http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Memory/Dual-Channel/)

Keep in mind that in order to perform in dual channel you need to sticks of the exact type of memory - "matched pairs" (same speed and latency).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/single-channel-vs-dual-channel-ram.43779/
Relevancy 64.07%

hi!
its about my old desktop computer..
abit nf-m2s motherboard, amd athelon 2.4Ghz prossesor, 2X512MB RAM(!!!).
i have installed windows 7 (32bit) on it a month ago, but after getting pissed of waiting i decided to buy another 2Gb ram, and replaced it instead of one of the 512-ram (bad move i guess) and at the beggining it seems to work fast and well (computer properties showed me 2.5gb ram).
after an hour of using it stuck, when i restart the computer, while noticing that on the startup it says 'single channel-64 bit' (and not 128, i guess). .. and stuck again..
i tried working only with the 2gb card, or back only with the 2X512 - nothing helps.

is there any solution besides reinstall win 7 with the 2GB card?
does another 2BG card for faster duel channel will be helpful(with my slow processor..)?

waiting for salvation..
shachaf

A:dual channel to single channel

Usually, to get dual channel, you have to install RAM in pairs of the same size.

If you are using multiple pairs, the pairs don't have to be the same size. (Example: two 1GB DIMMs, plus two 2GB ones, would support dual channel, although they'd have to be in the correct slots.)

I belive that some motherboards can use dual channel mode with 3 DIMMs, but it's not obvious how that works.

My Intel X58 motherboard claims to be able to do triple channel with 4 DIMMs in the right slots, but I've never tried it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/163967-dual-channel-single-channel.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Can I change my motherboard from single channel to dual channel Is decided by the bios? Acer x1700 desktop. thanks

A:Single channel to dual channel

That depends on whether or not you have a matching set of dual channel memory installed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/single-channel-to-dual-channel.186999/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hello All, i was wondering what is single channel and dual channel. This question came to my mind when i ran my PC with single RAM stick it shows "running on single channel" and when i inserted the second stick it says "running on dual channel". What is this?.......Also my graphic card crashes when i use the second stick, but runs smooth with single. I ran a memtest throughout night and got a blue screen in the morning. I will replace my RAM if it is faulty, but would like to know if there is some settings missing on my mobo.

A:Dual channel vs Single channel

Essentially, dual channel means that you have two channels/pathways for your CPU to access your RAM rather than one in single channel. It's kinda like having a 2 lane highway versus a 1 lane highway to drive on. Think increased space for data flow. More space, more data. It improves performance.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/141847-dual-channel-vs-single-channel.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I was looking at MB's and I looked at what kind of ram it takes it says it takes DDR3 with dual channel and i looked at some DDR3 triple channel will it still work?

A:triple channel ram with dual channel MB

Yes. I take it you mean triple channel memory kits. If so, you would use just 2 out of the 3 sticks. However, dual channel DDR3 kits are available.

Which motherboards were you looking at?

Welcome to Corsair :: Corsair DDR3 Memory Solutions

Kingston Technology Company - HyperX DDR3 -

http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodule/DDR3/list.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/124091-triple-channel-ram-dual-channel-mb.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I recently purchased a 1gb stick of ddr400 (non-ecc) dual channel ram. i have a dell 8300 with 2x256mb single channel ram sticks. i tried to replace the 2x256mb sticks(ddr400) with the 1gb stick in DiMM 1, this resulted in beeping of the pc and it not booting. I also tryed the 2 256mb in DiMM 1 and DiMM 3 with the 1gb stick in DiMM 2. Whichever way i try it my pc refuses to read the 1gb stick. Im running windows xp. do i need to purchase a second 1gb stick for DiMM 4?

thanks in advance this has been bugging me for quite some time!

Relevancy 62.78%

I've been running Kingston HyperX 240-Pin DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel SDRAM for over a year now. I just realised that it is only running in Single Channel mode. I'm pretty sure it's because my mobo Foxconn 915A01-P-8EKRS only supports Dual Channel with a bandwith of up to 533 (PC2 4200). My question is, if I purchase the 533 version will I be able to run the new pair with Dual Channel while running the old pair with Single Channel?

(I know that the old pair will probably jump down to 533 also.)

Also, do you think it would be worth it for $100? Is there a noticeable difference?

Thanks for the help.

A:Mixing Dual Channel Pair and Single Channel Pair Memory question

need more specs

does your mobo have 4 ram slots if so use the 1st and 3rd that should run it in dual channel !!

also make sure you on have 2 sticks in not 3 :slurp:

and the answer is to your question what ever the lowest speed ram is. the other ram will be clocked down to run at that same speed the lowest speed
takes the rains !!!
and you will notice the difference running dual chanel

but for reall speed difference ditch your ram and buy GEIL ULTRA

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mixing-dual-channel-pair-and-single-channel-pair-memory-question.42151/
Relevancy 61.92%

Simple question:

I want to blow off a trouble-prone ATI video card and revert to native motherboard video.

I need dual-monitor capability. The MB has the usual two different monitor jacks, but says nothing in the docs about being dual monitor capable...or not.

Do two jacks = dual monitor capability? How can I tell?

Many thanks for any help with this!

Relevancy 61.49%

I was checking to make sure I have 4 ram slots the other day. I found 4 slots, like I figured I would. 2 had ram sticks, but the other two were not empty. They had small plain sticks in them. I'm almost positive there was nothing on them, just plain plastic circuit board. So are these some kind of filler or something? Just so there's something in the slot... or are they something else? Just wanted to make sure before I buy 2 more sticks of ram.

Relevancy 61.49%

I was having CRC problems so I took one of the RAM sticks out which was on the 3rd slot, the problem got fixed. RAM is installed in pairs right? like 1,3 and 2,4 so there be a problem with my 3rd slot right? Will it be safe to install my other RAM in slot 2?

A:Quick Questions about RAM Slots

RAM does not need to be installed in pairs, except for old and obsolete RAMBUS. However it usually is to benefit from something called dual channel which can increase memory bandwidth.

You should test the RAM with Memtest86+: http://www.memtest.org/

And try the one you think is faulty by itself and with the rest of the RAM.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/quick-questions-about-ram-slots.919628/
Relevancy 61.49%

I have a few questions that I believe will be easy for someone here to answer First about slots Questions & config RAM AGP let me say that I m getting my hands on a mobo that supports PC RAM no dual channel support and has a x x AGP slot With that in mind Does it make any difference or is there any reason if I put MB RAM on this mobo using stick of memory or x MB sticks Also concerning the AGP slot I m thinking that I can stick a x x AGP Questions about RAM config & AGP slots card in there and it will quot throttle down quot or quot throttle back quot and work as fast as the x x slot will allow it Is that correct Do I need to be concerned about anything power related when putting a x x AGP card in a x x slot Lastly does anyone know of any good sites to purchase older model AGP cards like the GeForce FX or and the ATI Radeon variants nbsp

Relevancy 61.49%

http://usa.asus.com/mb/socketa/a7v333/overview.htm

This is my new motherboard, which I'm installing on the 25th...at the moment I have a crappy SoundBlaster 128 (stereo) sound card.

Should I stick with that, or should I use the onboard sound [is it dolby 5.1? ]? If so, what speakers should I get? (under 70 please)

Is it worth using the onboard sound or should I save for an Audigy 2?

BTW - will one reduce system performance more than the other?

Thanks.

A:On Board 6 channel sound - Asus A7V333

Well, I just got the A7V8X, and are using the onboard sound...

I found that I can't really tell much of a difference between it, and my old SB Live!...

And all my old problems with Creative cards and Via chipsets are gone
No longer cracking in sound when copying files, no more slow file copying, no more system crashes...

So in short, use it instead of your 128... I'm not quite sure when it comes to Audigy... The Q is, how good are your speakers? If they are of a premium quality, you might get a bit better sound with the Audigy, but if you're just using a set of OK speakers...

.02$

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/on-board-6-channel-sound-asus-a7v333.3581/
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi,

I have Windows 8.1 32-bit installed and have fitted my PC (Dell Inspiron 531) with 4GB RAM.

The system only reports 3.25gb as usable - where has the remainder gone?

Is it the Graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT)?

I understand that Win8.1 32-bit can utilise a full 4GB of RAM?

Also in the Task Manager, it reports that I have used "2 of 2 slots", however I have 4 RAM slots inside the machine where the RAM is fitted (4 x 1GB fitted).

Any help?

Cheers

A:RAM questions - slots and usable memory

Memory-mapped I/O - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/49990-ram-questions-slots-usable-memory.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hello I just registered on this board after learning a bit about dual channel memory from posts here Didn Channel memory & Dual P-805 Core Dual t learn enough though First off thanks for the scoop on why dual channel doesn t work with Athlon XP I once had it in an ASUS board Dual Channel memory & Dual Core P-805 that was supposed to run dual channel I could not tell the difference in performance when it booted up in dual channel mode vs single channel The BIOS displayed Dual Channel memory & Dual Core P-805 which it thought it was running on boot-up I am now building up a system with a Pentium D in a ECS P M Pro-M mobo This is claimed to support Dual Core operation A couple of general questions Regarding Dual Core and Dual Channel Memory operation Dual Channel memory & Dual Core P-805 are they totally independent Will both features work together or can you just get one or the other or neither on this combo I see NO mention of dual channel memory in the mobo manual I plan to run Win on this machine Does that support Dual core Dual Channel or both Or are these modes totally independent of the operating system software My understanding of Dual Core operation is minimal I guess it means you could have one core running MS Word while the other runs MS Excel or plays a game Is this correct If so is the operator in any way aware of the machine operating in this mode or have to do anything to make it operate in the dual core mode Or is the operator totally unaware of the dual core operation except for hopefully better performance Should I be looking to stuff the memory in this mobo with quot dual channel quot single-sided pair of DDR PC dimms MHZ for best performance the top mobo rating If so is there any reason I should NOT use PC MHZ dimms for the sake of possibly overclocking or using them in a faster mobo in th future I am currently using PC dimms with an AMD Sempron in a MSI mobo rated only for PC memory It is working fine In general I would guess faster memory would work in a slower system but I don t really know that can be expected in all cases I realize this is a lot to choke on all at once My apologies and thanks a bunch nbsp

A:Dual Channel memory & Dual Core P-805

Faster memory will work at a slwer speed, you can use both at the same time, and I think your Mobo supports Dual-Channel, but im not sure. You will notice the differance either way with more memory.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-memory-dual-core-p-805.69178/
Relevancy 58.91%

So I'm working on a PC rebuild for work. Specifically the computer used to go graphic design for signs, which is rather Memory intensive (4ft x 8ft raster graphics take up a lot of space to load into Photoshop.....)

But what I'm wondering is Tri-Channel memory really worth the additional cost of the RAM and Mobo??

Or should I just stick with dual channel?

A:Dual channel vs tri-channel

Hey Tortured,
to the public at large Intels Tri channel memory bandwidth goes unused as not a whole lot takes advantage of it, and most users would not realize a tangible difference. Doing graphic design is one of the exceptions though, and you would probably see a substantial gain from it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-vs-tri-channel.152817/
Relevancy 58.91%

I own an HP Kayak with dual slot 1 -- which can support upto 500mhz p3 processors in them. i have tried several pairs of p2 400mhz and 350 mhz as well as 500mhz p3 pairs. but i have been unable to achieve the simultaneous working of 2 processors. every time when i checked the performance by any diagnostic software i found out that only one of the pair is working. i have been using win xp pro.

can somebody guide where i am making the mistake which fails me in achieving the performance by the dual processors.

A:Hp Kayak With Dual Proc Slots

I believe you will need to do a Repair install to switch to a Multiprocessor HAL.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-kayak-with-dual-proc-slots.401205/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi Guys n Girls Can someone please help me out on this as I m pulling my hair out I am modernising a Dell problem xeon 4 cant than cards dual precision - 1-3-2 of x5450 more ram dimm install T5400 8 beeps rebuilding out Precision T workstation for use with Autocad Photoshop Office etc and it is now rebuilding precision T5400 dual xeon x5450 ram problem - 1-3-2 beeps cant install more than 4 out of 8 dimm cards running windows Pro bit SP on an SSD A quadro or firepro is next on the list but I cant risk putting rebuilding precision T5400 dual xeon x5450 ram problem - 1-3-2 beeps cant install more than 4 out of 8 dimm cards any more money into it if I cant install more RAM The X s are working fine - I just wish they supported hyperthreading which would really make it a flyer The T supports GB of ICC ram according to the manual The my dell programme says it supports GB and Sandra lite puts the max at GB but the GB is all I need Anyway I am upgrading from GB x GB of DDR PC - F- - and have purchased GB GB of used supposedly matched HP - nbsp RAM made by hynix part no s below from ebay hp stickers all have same part number GB Rx PC - F- - nbsp HYMP F CP N -Y AC-C nbsp nbsp STICKS GB Rx PC - F- - HYMP F CP N -Y AB-C nbsp nbsp nbsp STICKS I can install any of the cards in slots - and the system recognises them and passes all prestartup amp memory tests although it reports a mismatch on start because slot is not paired so it does not use it I only left it in to ensure that the second bank is recognising the card I have checked using sandra lite and the hardware list shows they have identical specs and stepping except for the part number and they work fine mixed as long as only or sticks are installed Any of the sticks run fine in slots - as I have changed them all nbsp When I put sticks amp sticks in or all the PC wont boot and I get beep code - - which I ve looked up and is just a memory fault so not too descriptive I have another of the AB-C sticks on the way just to rule that out but I don t think it ll make any difference as if they weren t paired well enough then the GB wouldn t work either I ve also ruled out a dodgy card by swapping them all out My bios is up to date at A I just cant get it to boot with more than GB installed I have removed the BIOS battery to reset it but no change I have also tried to put pairs of the original GB cards in to see if its something to do with going over GB but it still won t have it Any advice from the knowledgable folk out there would be greatly appreciated

A:rebuilding precision T5400 dual xeon x5450 ram problem - 1-3-2 beeps cant install more than 4 out of 8 dimm cards

Hi all,I`ve had a play around with the new ram sticks that came this morning and no difference.
Not to be defeated I played about and have managed to install a pair in slots 7&8 which actually works giving me 24GB which may be enough but I`m still confused as to why putting the 2 sticks from 7 & 8 (which are obviously matched and working) into slots 5 & 6 causes the thing to not boot, I have  verified slots 5 & 6 work by putting a single stick into each on subsequent boots and they definitely show up in the bios set up but are not used as they are not a pair.I have come to the conclusion that this is a bios fault and will try flashing the older A09 release and post back.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19541812
Relevancy 58.48%

Hey gang built my daughter a system for Xmas which is not going to be I guess but close I built a dual-hard drive system one for the kids and one for her to do graphics work I installed a spinner sata with Win questions.. Dual OS boot hard Dual drive Dual for kids and an SSD with Win for her installed first Dual boot Dual hard drive Dual OS questions.. and then and things were fine Win would give me a nice screen asking me which OS I wanted to boot to but then the spinner started blue screening and grinding so I changed the hd and of course it screwed my boot up and I don't know alot about mbr's and that kind of thing but downloaded EasyBCD and was able to fumble my way through it Dual boot Dual hard drive Dual OS questions.. to luckily get Win back but here's my problem When I shut down in Win everything is fine as when I start it up I get a bios like screen asking me which OS I want to boot to but when I shut down in Win it automatically boots back to Win without asking I have to restart to get to the OS choice screen I don't want to go messing around much further here without some direction as googling my way around miraculously saved me the first time but this problem is a little too convoluted to try and research on my own Any suggestions greatly appreciated merry xmas all

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/560955/dual-boot-dual-hard-drive-dual-os-questions/
Relevancy 57.62%

Just a quick question that came up in my head while I was reading the chapter about RAM in my hardware book... assuming that I'm building a gaming computer for myself with an i7 CPU and x58 chipset, what would give me better overall performance.... installing 4 memory modules of 2GB each and running on dual-channel mode or installing 3 memory modules of 2GB each and running on triple-channel mode?
thank you

A:8GB DDR3 (dual-channel) x 6GB DDR3 (triple-channel) Which is better?

Depends a lot on how much RAM your applications need. Triple channel is slightly faster, but if you. Err. Run two instances of Crysis, then you might need 8 GiB so the other solution is 'better'.
My vote goes for 3x2...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/8gb-ddr3-dual-channel-x-6gb-ddr3-triple-channel-which-is-better.907315/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi i am building my own computer (1st time),

I was considering buying the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P motherboard as i want something suitable for gaming, hd movies, multitasking and a bit of everything.

The only issues i have with it, is that it has 2 PCI slots and i would prefer 3, but its not essential and that it has 2 video card slots.

I am also planning to buy a high end video card.

First off, Is it beneficial to have 2 video card slots when only using one monitor?? Can you even use 2 video cards with 1 monitor??

And is this a suitable motherboard choice?? Bearing in mind that i hope not to upgrade for a little while.. if not could anyone please suggest some others.

Cheers
Andrew

A:Question regarding motherboard choice and dual video card slots

andebrook said:

Hi i am building my own computer (1st time),

I was considering buying the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P motherboard as i want something suitable for gaming, hd movies, multitasking and a bit of everything.

The only issues i have with it, is that it has 2 PCI slots and i would prefer 3, but its not essential and that it has 2 video card slots.

I am also planning to buy a high end video card.

First off, Is it beneficial to have 2 video card slots when only using one monitor?? Can you even use 2 video cards with 1 monitor??

And is this a suitable motherboard choice?? Bearing in mind that i hope not to upgrade for a little while.. if not could anyone please suggest some others.

Cheers
AndrewClick to expand...

Using 2 video card slots gives you the ability to use multiple monitors but the main reason for their existence is gaming performance. Both top GPU manufacturers, ATI/AMD and NVIDIA provide the ability to combine 2 identical cards for increased 3D performance. These technologies are called SLI for NVIDIA and Crossfire for ATI/AMD. So, of course you can use 2 cards with one monitor if you like!

The m/b you chose has pretty good features and uses a nice chipset. In case you decide to use a dual GPU configuration make sure that the P35 chipset supports both companies. Some time ago intel chipsets could only use crossfire.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/question-regarding-motherboard-choice-and-dual-video-card-slots.713122/
Relevancy 56.33%

I've decided to get a winchester core pin939 AMD 64 CPU - probably 3000, probably with an Abit AV8 3rd Eye mobo.

Question is; what's the best ram? I'd be looking for a gig, and also so that i can do dual-channel whatchdomagigga. Probably around the 100 mark, prepared to spend a bit more....say 120.

[edit] Perhaps this? (Kingston HyperX 1GB 400MHz DDR Non-ECC CL2 (2-3-2-6-1) DIMM (Kit 2) - 120)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-channel.311555/
Relevancy 56.33%

is there any software that I can use in XP that will tell me weather my memory is in dual channels or not?

I know I can find out from the post but was just wondering about software.

Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 56.33%

Ok, so my motherboard died. I want to buy a new board, and CPU. Now I have 3 chips of DDR ram, 2(256mb), 1(128mb), all at 266mhz. The motherboard i have been looking at has a nividia nforce 400 ultra chipset, and 3 sockets for DDR Dual-channel ram. Now if i install the 3 cards of ram i have wouldnt it just read it has single channel, not dual, but it would still work and read 640mb ram right? The reason i ask this is b/c i have been told that NON-dual channel ram, will not work in a dual channel motherboard. Need some help here guys, thx...

Relevancy 56.33%

My Friend has a AthlonXP Channel Dual RAM barton and a Soltek mobo that supports Dual Channel RAM Hes got two MB sticks of RAM in there both DDR the mobo supports upto DDR RAM How can we tell if his mobo pc has gone into Dual Channel mode Couldnt find anything in the BIOS and theres dimms for RAM Slot and Slot are Yellow and Black But slot is also yellow So I thought DC mode I d put the RAM in slot and or both of the yellow slots So I tryed both having the RAM in slot then benchmarked Then left stick in slot one of the yellow colored slots and Dual Channel RAM took the other stick out of slot the black slot and put it in slot the other yellow colored matching slot After benchmarking both the results were identicle So it isnt in DC mode btw the brands are diffrent One is Kingston other is another brand I forget not Crutial tho blush nbsp

A:Dual Channel RAM

Well Ash, to have RAM run in dual-channel mode you should (you don't have to, put should) have paired RAM (like this Corsair) so they are guaranteed to work together in DC mode. If I may quote a paragraph :

What are some of the benefits of using paired memory? Since the memory sticks are packaged together after they have been tested together makes sure the modules that the end-user receives will be stable and perform well. Mixing different memory could lead to system instabilities or the memory modules might not run together due to compatibility issues. This takes the guesswork out of choosing memory for a dual channel motherboard. In addition, we feel that since memory speeds are not getting much faster, this give memory manufacturers another stepping-stone before moving to faster memory. Recently many other manufacturers have also started producing these paired memory kits.Click to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-ram.5943/
Relevancy 56.33%

I may want to up the memory on my machine from 1 GB to 2 GB which is the mainboard's maximum. It is an MS-7211 from MSI. Here is the only thing the manual says about memory:

Main Memory
? Supports two memory banks using two 184-pin DDR DIMM.
? Supports up to 2GB PC3200 (DDR400) SDRAMs.
? Supports 2.5v DDR SDRAM.

I want to get dual channel ram. Can anyone tell me if they know it is guaranteed to work? Or do you need a special motherboard for dual channel?
Facts definitely welcomed and so are educated guesses too. Thanks.

A:Dual channel RAM or not?

Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg

I may want to up the memory on my machine from 1 GB to 2 GB which is the mainboard's maximum. It is an MS-7211 from MSI. Here is the only thing the manual says about memory:

Main Memory
? Supports two memory banks using two 184-pin DDR DIMM.
? Supports up to 2GB PC3200 (DDR400) SDRAMs.
? Supports 2.5v DDR SDRAM.

I want to get dual channel ram. Can anyone tell me if they know it is guaranteed to work? Or do you need a special motherboard for dual channel?
Facts definitely welcomed and so are educated guesses too. Thanks.

Hi torrentg......

as long as your RAM sticks timings & sizes match, you'll be running ''dual channel'', the BIOS will deal with it automatically.....all motherboards that run DDR, run ''Dual channel'' (where applicable)

so ideally you want a 2gb kit (2x1gb), but its not essential.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/25438-dual-channel-ram-not.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Could someone explain what Dual Channel DDR is and how much faster is a computer with dual channel RAM to one with standard RAM?

A:Dual Channel DDR

I'm guessing you know how RAM works, Dual Channel, is far better than Single channel mode mainly because it effectively doubles the memory bandwidth you have.

i.e.

Assuming you know :-

266MHz = PC2100 or 2.1GB/s Peak theoretical Bandwidth
333MHz = PC2700 or 2.7GB/s Peak theoretical Bandwidth
400MHz = PC3200 or 3.2GB/s Peak theoretical Bandwidth

Armed with that knowledge, because Dual channel effectively has 2 channels, it DOUBLES the read/write etc..

so, say you have 1x512MB PC3200 Dimm you can achieve 3.2GB/s, but if you have 2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel mode (requires a capable mobo) you can effectively get 6.4GB/s.

Hope that helps

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-ddr.9747/
Relevancy 56.33%

I am planning on upgrading my machine with an Intel D875PBZ, this board supports dual channel ram. I do not do any gaming on my system but plan on doing video editing. Is it worth while to go to the extra expense of dual channel or should I purchase another type of board with out dual channel support, (cheaper)? I also plan on using a 3gighz processor and 1gig ram. Without the extra expense of the dual channel ram I could buy another 512megs of normal ram.
thanks
ekih

Relevancy 56.33%

can anyone hook me up with some comparisons between dual and single channel ram?

i keep hearing 1 gb of dual is better than 1.5 gb single...i would like to know a general conversion factor between the two

thanks in advance

Relevancy 56.33%

just a quick one, say :-

someone has a board that'll support Dual Channel DDR, but doesnt have the money or can't find the stuff for now, will normal DDR SDRAM work on it ? albeit slow :]

A:Dual Channel DDR

also, if anyone does read this, can someone paste the diff between asynchronous and synchronous ram types :]

cheers fellas

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-ddr.3379/
Relevancy 56.33%

HI I just recently purchased an athlon xp with one stick of ddr I am planning to do some serious overclocking necessary? channel dual and I am unsure to either get the asus A n x-x or the A n x mobo As you probably know the A n x supports dual channel memory which I heard is not very significant dual channel necessary? when I am using an Athlon XP I am also in dual channel necessary? a tight budget and I want to get the best performance out of my computer Since I am overclocking I am unsure whether the performance will be a significant gain if I choose the A n x with dual channel If this is so I can exchange my ram for sticks of for some extra and dig a little harder into my pocket to get the A n x But if this is not such a big performance gain I will settle with the A n x-x and this will save me the hassle of returning stuff I would like to hear from some people s opinion about this nbsp

Relevancy 56.33%

so I purchased 4 x2gb sticks of corsair ram. I figured they would run in dual channel/sli mode or whatever but when i check the bios it says that its not enabled...
i had 2 x2gb sticks before and they ran fine in dual channel. so I'm trying to figure out whats going on. here's links to the specs

Motherboard
Ram

btw, i'm running 64-bit vista ultimate

Relevancy 56.33%

Hello,

I have 2 sticks of RAM. Different size, same vendor.

Corsair 4 GB PC10700 667 Mhz
Corsair 2 GB PC10700 667 Mhz

Installed on Windows 8.1 laptop. Windows sees 6 GB RAM.

I opened CPU-Z and it says Channel = Dual

Does this mean Dual Channel mode enabled at the moment?

If I remember correctly 2GB of each channel will be Dual and the remaining 2GB will be single channel.

Jim

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/38572-dual-channel-ram.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Maybe a simple answer but the fact that I dont know what the answer is means I have to ask. I have 2x512 running a 939 socket single core AMD 3800+ @ 2.7GHz. Installed RAM is DDR400/2x512 running in dual channel. Ive come across a stick of DDR333/512 and I would like to use it but I need to know if Im going backwards in terms of performance. As you can see my overclock is not great at all so I dont consider it a concern to revert back to stock frequency (2.4GHz) as long as Im gaining performance with more RAM. Theres no need to get specific if you dont have the time but a general rule of thumb would suffice.

Thanx

A:Dual Channel vs More RAM

Unless i'm mistaken ,if the stick of ram is the same spec, then on certain boards it will still use your existing ram in dual channel mode, but with the extra stick added as well in probably single channel.

This will need clarification, but i'm sure i've read or heard it somewhere.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-vs-more-ram.79337/
Relevancy 56.33%

I have a pair of 512 mb DDR on my Dual Channel mobo. if i was to increase ram in my system, would the other you ram sockets need to same 2 that i've already used? or can i get two 1gig sticks to make dual channel in the second 2 slots?

make sense?

Relevancy 56.33%

I am using 2 Ram stick of Transcend & Apacer brand in dual channel of my Gigabyete motherboard. It was performing well for 8 months without any trouble.But suddenly it is taking too many times to load any operating system.If anyone tell me what to do about this problem,plz

Download Memtest86+ and make a bootable USB stick with it, reboot and go into the BIOS and force it to boot from the USB stick. Let Memtest run for at least a few hours or until it throws errors(if it does). If there is a RAM problem, Memtest will find it more than likely.

Here is a tutorial that will walk you through this process. How to Test and Diagnose RAM Issues with Memtest86+

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/302354-dual-channel-ram.html
Relevancy 56.33%

can i use pc2700 in dual channel mode? or do i need pc3200

A:dual channel

no i'm keeping my pc2700 i just wanted to know because i might be getting a prescott (depends if it's better than the 64) and i've heard that the dual channel on the p4 is great so i think it'll be tha same with the prescott

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel.7944/
Relevancy 56.33%

Im jus wondering what the gain in performance would be,or if thare is any. Like if i have two 256meg sticks in dual mode or one 512meg stick in regular mode.
Is dual channel better? if so why?
keeping in mind more than 512meg would be overkill in my use of my PC.
Just wondering
thanks all

A:Why Dual Channel?

Running your memory in DualChannel mode on a K7 platform will account at most in a 3-5% performance increase & only in memory intensive tasks.

If you can get that little extra performance for free, go for it. If you have to shell out some more money for it, it is not worth it.

The DualChannel memory controller on the nForce 2 platform was concieved to help keep all the integrated devices (VGA, Ethernet, SOund, IDE, etc.) fed with data without having to tax the memory bandwidth allocated to the CPU.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/why-dual-channel.13988/