Windows Support Forum

Laptop data lost?

Q: Laptop data lost?

Well i m bewildered to say the least Was on my laptop Compaq laptop not sure which as I can t seem to find it on Ebuyer anymore until about am maybe Was fine then and has been fine since I got it back in September I think it was Turned it on at about pm today and near on everything has gone Managed to get lost? Laptop data onto my browser Chrome can t anymore and all the history had gone Can t sign into MSN as my contact list isn t ready or something like that Lost all the stuff I had on sticky notes and in folders Tried restarting and turned it Laptop data lost? off then left it then turned it on again still the same Had a message saying something like can t log onto user desktop therefore logging onto Laptop data lost? default user desktop happen twice though Really confused by this Just wondering if anyone knows why it might of gone like this By the way it s running Windows Premium came with this on it Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Laptop data lost?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Laptop data lost?

Can you restart your pc in 'safe mode'? (power on, then tap F8 key quickly) till a black screen with white text appears. Use the cursor keys to scroll down to 'Last known good configuration', highlight it, 'enter'. See if that gets you back to your own desktop.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-data-lost.159273/
Relevancy 59.77%

I made the mistake of using the 'repair' function on my friend's Compaq Presario V6105NR, to try and restore the system files on her computer. What I didn't realize was that the machine had only one drive with all the data on it! It did stil say 'backing up data' for nearly an hour before it started 'restoring' everything.

Turns out all it was doing was backing up the programs already installed while letting go of all the date. Either that, or I can't find where the data's been stored.

Is there any possible way I can have access to, or restore the data that got deleted by mistake? I'd REALLY appreciate some help!

A:HELP! recovering lost data off a friend's laptop

When you say you used the repair function, did you use a hidden partition on the hard drive to restore a factory image to the hard drive (hit some combination of keys to activate restore and then proceed with a restore installation without using a windows CD)? If so, I am afraid it will be impossible to recover anything from the hard drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-recovering-lost-data-off-a-friends-laptop-335018.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi Everyone Today was a bad day for me as i lost every single file in my Hp laptop I HardDrive lost Important Full data Laptop Cleaned Hp - think it is all my mistake let me explain what happend My laptop have GB HD Laptop came up with GB of quot C quot Drive partition Other paritions were HP Tools Recovery and System quot C quot drive was half full when i decided to divide it into more drives to save important data from quot C quot to another drive After searching on Full HardDrive Cleaned Important data lost - Hp Laptop internet i came to know that windows has a limit of parititons then i started searching for a quick solution to avoid Full HardDrive Cleaned Important data lost - Hp Laptop full new windows installation I installed a Mini Tool Parition manager and Set the quot C quot drive as Logical and shrinked more drives Full HardDrive Cleaned Important data lost - Hp Laptop from C Computer restarted Partition manager takes minutes to do everything and then WIndows started and all was ok But I wanted to have one more gb partition from quot C quot I did it again using Parition manager and computer started all stuff was going well Parition manager finshed everything and when computer restart nothing works Every time computer restart from windows Logo I was sure that something goes wrong i tried to repair it but repair takes minutes and solved nothing for me i canceled repair and try to install fresh windows when i was selecting the quot C quot disk to install windows in it An error appeas saying quot windows could not format a partition on disk The error occurred while preparing the partition selected for installation Error code quot nothing was helpful I then run these commands quot Boot into the install repair disc and wait for it to load Choose Repair my computer Select Command Prompt Type diskpart and press enter Enter list disk and note the number of the disk you want to install on Enter select disk n n is the number of the disk Enter list partition and note the number of the partition you want to install on Enter select partition n n is the number of the partition Enter active You can now close the command prompt and re-attempt installation quot and again it was some kind of error At last i select parition and clean all and closed the command When i restart the computer it says quot no bootable device insert boot disk and press any key quot it was again very frustating then i plugged in the USB of bootable windows it was started smoothly and when i reached the partition selection window it was all cleaned Only single harddrive of gb was showing everything is cleaned There was too important files in the hard drive I have made a big mistake I need expert help Please help me recovering the data Thank you in advance

A:Full HardDrive Cleaned Important data lost - Hp Laptop

If you ran clean ALL, you are SOL.

Perhaps you can ask the NSA for their backup copy.

Too late this time, but in future, good idea to make an image backup every so often.

This is great free program which you can use to prevent getting in trouble in future:
http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/340768-full-harddrive-cleaned-important-data-lost-hp-laptop.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I have a 300gb Maxtor Drive partitioned into 4 drives...the OS on the hd was Windows Vista...While i was reinstalling XP i accidently formatted the whole drive because it didnt show the rest of the partitions on the screen...by the time i realized what i just did it was already 5% formatted...so i decided to stop it by turning off my computer...

i was wondering if the data (music, files, pictures, etc etc) is still recoverable...if so, what are the necessary steps that i should take to recover it...my friend sent me OnTrack 6.3 EasyRecovery Pro and i went out and bought Search and Recover 4...should i do a clean format on the drive and then run a data recovery software or should i run the software with the drive being 5% formatted...

if someone can lead me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it...thanks

pete

A:Data Recovery Lost Data from format

Closing duplicate, please reply here:

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/594609-data-recovery-lost-data-format.html

eddie

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-recovery-lost-data-from-format.594612/
Relevancy 51.6%

I have a 300gb Maxtor Drive partitioned into 4 drives...the OS on the hd was Windows Vista...While i was reinstalling XP i accidently formatted the whole drive because it didnt show the rest of the partitions on the screen...by the time i realized what i just did it was already 5% formatted...so i decided to stop it by turning off my computer...

i was wondering if the data (music, files, pictures, etc etc) is still recoverable...if so, what are the necessary steps that i should take to recover it...my friend sent me OnTrack 6.3 EasyRecovery Pro and i went out and bought Search and Recover 4...should i do a clean format on the drive and then run a data recovery software or should i run the software with the drive being 5% formatted...

if someone can lead me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it...thanks

pete

Please do not post duplicates. With patience, you should get a reply to your post within 24 hours.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-recovery-lost-data-from-format.594610/
Relevancy 51.6%

pete

Don't know of any freeware ...
But I know someone who has recovered all of his data from a formatted drive using ..
http://www.runtime.org/

I know he tried some others ... but this one worked.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-recovery-lost-data-from-format.594609/
Relevancy 46.01%

computer went down ,when restarted ,computer started to save all data,when completed said install disc,did and would not run,then computer started to download the factory settings,after completion,I lost all data stored,how can I access my data.

A:lost data

i have moved to the hardware forum

So you have reset the PC to its factory condition using a recovery CD ?

when you did this , did you do a repair or a full installation and did you reformat the harddrive ?

whats the make and model of the PC

sometimes the recovery process will make a data section that you can access all your old data

what version of windows are you running

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-data.1113297/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi, can you help, my Nokia lumina 630 locked me out for 76543789 minutes (not exact number) so I was told to reset to get into my phone. I have done this and it has worked but have lost all my contacts pics etc...... Is there any way of getting them back?? Thanks

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/438690-lost-all-data-help.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I installed XP,Home in my bakup computer,I did this because I somehow lost Windows98SE while installing a New MB.I have Two hard Drives installed a 6GB that came with it(C) and a 40GB Maxtor,Somehow the XP program reformatted Disc C and I seem to have lost 1/2 its data.When I installed the 40GB Drive I copied everything that was on C to it.When I go to the D disc I cant find the data that was lost from C???? The 6GB is the Master and the 40GB is the slave,should I switch them around?When I copied all the data from C to D did the programs I had installed get copied too????

Relevancy 46.01%

Not sure anyone can help but I bought a program that will transfer data from my old computer Vista to my new computer Win I plugged them both in I had the screen on the Vista computer and it seemed to be working in data Lost transferring my stuff I wanted until the lights on the new computer stopped blinking Then I disconnected the Vista computer and hooked Lost data up all my wires from the Vista onto the Win computer I can't find any of the data I supposedly transferred Where would it be So now I think I Lost data better do the transfer thing again So I take the old computer and plug it in without monitor as I only have No power It's plugged in but the old computer won't go on Now I'm panicking all my data documents spread sheets genealogy are all in the old computer Now I do have backups portable disks I see the info or some of it on the backup disks but how do I transfer it onto the Win computer Theses were backedup from the old Vista computer Hope someone can help me find all my data

A:Lost data

Just put the backup disks in the new computer & either move or copy the stuff to an appropriate location on the new computer.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/31287-lost-data.html
Relevancy 46.01%

hi i have a portable hard drive plugged into my computer with all my work on it and i ran a chkdsk D:/f and it deleted a few really important files is there anyway i can get them back?

A:Lost Data

anyone i have lost a whole website on that hard drive that took me years to make...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-data.542748/
Relevancy 46.01%

quot A few days ago Lost some Data I lost all but tunes from my iTunes library - and that same day I noticed I lost all my time posted calendar events on my Computer and naturally without noticing this before I HotSync'ed I lost them on my handheld Palm as well Interesting enough only the calendar events were lost not my Lost some Data Contacts Also the Untimed Events were not lost only the Timed Events quot Thanks nick DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by nick porcaro at on Fri Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT - AV AVG Anti-Virus Free On-access scanning enabled Updated DDD - FF- F- E B- D D BF Running Processes C WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunch svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcs C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe svchost exe svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe svchost exe C Program Lost some Data Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C WINDOWS eHome ehRecvr exe C WINDOWS eHome ehSched exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k hpdevmgmt C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k HTTPFilter C PROGRA Iomega System ActivityDisk exe C Program Files Microsoft SQL Server MSSQL VAIO VEDB Binn sqlservr exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k HPZ C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k HPZ C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared WMPlugIn SonicStageMonitoring exe svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files Sony VAIO Event Service VESMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Entertainment Platform VCSW VCSW exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgrsx exe C Program Files Canon CAL CALMAIN exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgnsx exe C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Entertainment Platform VzCdb VzCdbSvc exe C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Entertainment Platform VzCdb VzFw exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k HPService C WINDOWS system dllhost exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C Program Files Apoint Apoint exe C WINDOWS ehome ehtray exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Sony VAIO Power Management SPMgr exe C Program Files Sony ISB Utility ISBMgr exe C Program Files Sony VAIO Update VAIOUpdt exe C Program Files Sony Wireless Switch Setting Utility Switcher exe C Program Files Sony VAIO Camera Utility VCUServe exe C WINDOWS eHome ehmsas exe C Program Files Musicmatch Musicmatch Jukebox mm tray exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Apoint Apntex exe C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgtray exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C Program Files Toshiba Bluetooth Toshiba Stack TosBtMng exe C Program Files Palm Hotsync exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exe C Program Files Logitech SetPoint SetPoint exe C Program Files Toshiba Bluetooth Toshiba Stack TosA dp exe C Program Files Sony Click to DVD ctdatsvr exe C Program Files Toshiba Bluetooth Toshiba Stack TosBtHid exe C Program Files Toshiba Bluetooth Toshiba Stack TosBtHsp exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files Common Files Logitech KHAL KHALMNPR EXE C Program Files Toshiba Bluetooth Toshiba Stack tosOBEX exe C Program Files Toshiba Bluetooth Toshiba Stack tosBtProc exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqSTE exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqbam exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqgpc exe C Program Files Java jre bin jucheck exe C Program Files Outlook Express msimn exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Palm Palm exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging Smart Web Printing hpswp clipbook exe C Documents and Sett... Read more

A:Lost some Data

Hello and welcome to TSF.

Please download ComboFix from one of these locations:

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop
Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications. They may otherwise interfere with our tools

How to disable AVG8

Please open the AVG8 Control Center, by right clicking on the AVG 8 icon on task bar.

* Click on Tools.
* Select Advanced Settings.
* In the left hand pane, scroll down to "Resident Shield".
* In the main pane, deselect the option to "Enable Resident Shield."
* To re-enable AVG 8, when Combofix is done, please select "Enable Resident Shield" again.

Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you, should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

# Your desktop may go blank. This is normal. It will return when ComboFix is done. ComboFix may reboot your machine. This is normal.

Note:
Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please copy/paste the contents of that log, which will also be saved at C:\ComboFix.txt, in your next reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/lost-some-data-382783.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I was cleaning up some FileMaker files. The wrong ones went away. So I did some finds and looked everywhere for these files. They are gone!

I selected 2 files to move to the trash. When I moved them, the wrong ones disapeared. I didn't empty the trash or delete anything. However, I have searched everything and looked at every potential link. They just disappeared!

First, how can that happen? It didn't ask if I wanted to delete, etc., etc., or anything. Second, is there another possibility for me to look at? Could they have been hidden? Surely, there is no way to delete files without being asked if I really wnat to delete them!

This is very upsetting.

A:I Lost Some Data

If you think the files could be hidden, you can enable the ability to view hidden files in the Folder & Search Options.

Code:
Organize > Folder & Search Options > View Tab > Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives
If you believe the files were deleted accidently, you can use a program like Recuva to recover them.

If you'd like a different explorer shell, there are quite a few options, here are a few:

xplorer?
XYPlorer
FreeCommander
DirectoryOpus

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/83862-i-lost-some-data.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I had to run my recovery disk on my Windows XP Media Center 2005 system. Although it said I wouldn't lose any data nor files, I did. But only under my profile. None of the profiles show up at start up but the Documents folders for each profile show up under Documents and Settings. The kids' data is all there, but all of mine if gone; Favorites, Wedding Photos, My Music, etc. I am looking for a way to recover all this. Any suggestions? After a 4 week strike I have no money to buy software so I need a good one that's free.

For starters; Stop Using your computer is the MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN DO.
do you have access to another one to use until you try and recover your files?
I can relate on the money issue I just got one days notice that there is no work for a while Grrrr
File recovery is tedious and requires lots of patience.
Free file recovery programs are hard to find that actually work.
Most of the ones you see online that appear to be free are simply trials and will not actually recover the files for you unless you buy the program
here is the search I did;
http://www.google.com/search?q=file...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
>>>Does ANYONE HERE at techguy have any good suggestions for Free recovery software ???<<<
Most Important thing... backup any and all files from now on to CD-DVD

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-data.744483/
Relevancy 46.01%

I was changing my user account to help speed up my computer and I said to delete all files associated with the user name and clicked a button, walked away while being distarcted by my six year old before realizing I told it to delete all my documents and pictures. Is there anyway to recover that data or is it too late.

System Restore might work, take it back a day before you deleted your info

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/lost-data-105277.html
Relevancy 46.01%

cant get any data from USB stick. Computer recognises the USB is in the port but requests for it to be inserted when I call for a previously create file or go to save on it, the message is the disk drive is not in use. Tried USB on another computer so thats nothe reason. Any ideas??

A:USB data lost

Welcome to TSF....

If the USB thumb drive works on another computer then first thing is to make a backup of the data on the thumb drive so you do not loose it.

Since the drive works on another USB port on another computer we can safely figure the drive is alright, so this means it is more than likely the USB post you are inserting the drive into on the computer that has a problem. Have you tried a different USB port on this computer? If not please try it and post back the results...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/usb-data-lost-246667.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hello, recently I bought a Dual 2.5"/3.5" IDE SATA Hard Drive Disk All In 1 Clone Dock Station
and when i put the hdd inside it burn and make a lot of smoke I lost all the data on it.
what should I do?

Relevancy 46.01%

i formatted my D drive by mistake . it had all my work files now i'm screwed . i want someone to recomend some good data recovery program asap plz thnx Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

A:Lost All My Data

Data Recovery Technician would be your best bet...

I recommend Drive Savers...

The only way a third party program could get it back is if you would have made a compressed backup...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/150259/lost-all-my-data/
Relevancy 46.01%

My Mobo is a Quad Core Duron with Gb ram I kept all my important data on a TB sata drive After purchasing two Gb identical drives I took the data drive out and installed a Data Lost Sata Raid on the two drives I then installed Window Bit ultimate on the striped raid array Lost Data All went well My catastophy began when I shut down and attached the Data drive as it rebooted the Raid included the Data drive in the array and procedded to stripe it I Lost Data have now lost all of my data I know now that I should have told the mobo to use only sata and two and not and My question is can I recover this data or at least some of it I did a quot quick format quot of the drive and ran a couple of recovery programs but all they saw was the quot striped quot Windows stuff carried over from the two Gb drives Apart from that nothing has been written to the drive Any help appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 46.01%

i saved a bunch of data to a portable hard disk - all in the root directory. i also installed an app-usb secure-which controls the hard disk. since the data was so mixed up, i created some folders to organize it. now can't open the hard disk-when i try, i get an error message "application not found". so i think i moved the security app by accident. any ideas on how to open the hd and/or retrieve the data?

Have you tried re-installing USB Secure?

You might want to clean up your folder and registry the best you can beforehand, or see if "Remove Programs" will function, first. Other wise reinstall to the same location as before.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/128477-lost-data.html
Relevancy 46.01%

aoa
i have 320 gb wd external drive on which i saved some data some movies and documents and picss.but now when i connect it to my laptop it just shows an icon recycle bin and when i try to open it it says all files have been deleted.but the disk shows 13 gb of used space what has happened to it. ireally need that data how can i correct it plz help

specs
windows vista
hp laptop working fine

i dont knbow guys where to ask the questions mods will u plz place it in right region

A:hdd lost data

Hello Goats,

Could you go into Folder Options and confirm that Hidden and Protected OS files are displayed?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/48929-hdd-lost-data.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I have a Dimensions E with the OS being Vista I have had numerous problems with certain programs A month ago I rebooted my computer after windows were updated Once rebooted all my files documents weren't there The programs are still there though on Help Data Lost So for a month I have been not working on my computer and Help on Lost Data using my laptop But I am needing to obtain certain docs that were on there a month ago I had done a backup a month and a half ago and tried to restore using that backup But for some reason it doesn't want to restore with that backup So now I am at lost because I do alot of work on this computer which now I don't have my original docs My computer looks like its a brand new system and I am afraid that I have to re-enter information for my quicken and so forth Is there some way that I can retrieve all those files via my hard drive It would be appreciated if someone can lend some advice on how I can get it back to what I had from a month ago So please someone help me I know that it may be that I have to re-enter information but if there was a way that I can retrieve what I had before on the drive it would be helpful Thanks

A:Help on Lost Data

Hi -

This is the real thing we need to see about fixing :

"it doesn't want to restore with that backup"

Why do you think this is happening - do you get some sort of message saying it's unable to? Screen grabs are always nice.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/help-on-lost-data-377879.html
Relevancy 46.01%

My wife's machine had XP with Outlook Express working and the storage folder for OE was located on the desktop in Desktop New Folder Emails Anyway data Lost after I tidied up the desktop for her about a week ago and thought I was Lost data being very careful only to delete unwanted files and folders her email in OE has all disappeared up to the date of the 'tidy-up' This is extremely puzzling Please allow me to elaborate I performed a search using the hidden system files options I checked for dbx files over the whole C drive None of the missing dbx files appeared Next copied the Recuva program on to a stick and ran it from there Searched for 'email files' One old zip file full of dbx files came up NOTHING else - not even as overwritten damaged files So the implication is that there are no other identifiable deleted dbx files on the drive Tried the same thing with PC Inspector Same result So it looks like I have not actually deleted the emails But if I didn't accidentally delete them during the tidy-up what else could have happened All I can think of is accidental overwriting But how could that happen They should at least appear as damaged lost files even then so I am now scanning with PC Inspector for 'lost files' Nothing - no lost files either So what could it be I am totally stumped PS I have now tried three Lost data different recovery tools and none of them has found a single dbx file on the drive of the ones I am looking for So they don't appear as 'deleted' or as 'lost' There has to be an explanation for this Could it be something to do with a corrupted NTFS directory or something

You would run chkdsk /f on the drive to determine if there was disk or file corruption.

That is an unusual location for OE which is usualy installed under the users profile

Did you empty recycle bin and defrag the drive?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/lost-data-647162.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Okay first thing I now have a backup solution in place but unfortunately I didn t when this went down And obviously Data Lost I m deeply regretting it I hoping that someone here will recognize my issue and help discover a solution Here s what happened I moved a secondary drive gb FAT out of one computer directly into another system of mine Both are running Win When I moved the drive it was setup as a secondary drive in the new system but it had a slave DVD drive under it so i needed to make a minor change to the jumpers When I first booted the system up it recognized the drive All seemed good but when I went to get some data from the drives I realized that many Lost Data of the directories almost all of them were represented by random symbols and numbers I ran a checkDSK on the drive which started after reboot It stopped almost half way through due to lack of space on the drive Lost Data It stopped and rebooted I noticed that when windows came back it had the directory structure back but in some cases about - where there was once directories now there we just files with the same name as the directories that were missing The weirdiest thing is is that although there doesn t seem to be a direct way to get to these quot missing quot directories the data space is still taken up My hard drive doesn t have anymore free space than it did before this happened So all this being said I think the data is still there I just can t get to it I ve run additional diagnostic test on the drive and everything is coming back fine I ve tried a few different recover software programs and it s not seeing these directories If anyone has any advice on this issue please help this has been a day hellish run for me and I would really like to get this data back Thanks in advance for any suggestions -Kevin p s I have put everything back to the way it was yet the damage had already been done It s a gb drive with only gigs of data on it yet its telling me there is only gigs of space available That other gigs is what I m missing nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-data.435481/
Relevancy 46.01%

Dear Friends,

I have a Fujitsu Siemens desktop pc bought 3 years ago.
Yesterday when I restarted it then I got message to enter a new name of pc, and new username name and password. In other words the message I got was someting about like I am setting up a brand new pc.

I lost all my previous work
Opera, Fire Fox, Microsoft Office (Word Excel, Power Point, Outlook), Nero, McAfee, every thing I lost

After I created new name to my pc and new username and password, I reinstalled again some few programs that I already have on cd. But stored lots of files into Opera that was my main Internet Browser.

Is that possible to look after my previous data (My old pc name & Username and Password)?

A:Please help . . . I lost all my data

Hi GR7.

Is it possible that you've triggered a system restore to factory defaults from the recovery partition?

Is it possible that you have more than 1 HDD, or more than 1 partition on a single HDD that you've logged in to?

/ Crit

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/please-help-i-lost-all-my-data-640831.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi,
I didn't have any users set up on my XP. I wanted to stablish my own account to have some privecy from the rest of my falimy, but when i signed a new user, I lost all the files and e-mails from my PC. Please help.

Hab

Files stored locally in the \my documents\ area of the computer can usually only be access when you're logged in as the relevant user. Don't panic, the files are still there, you just can't see them whilst you're logged in as the new user. If you think about it, this is exactly the effect you're looking for, it'll just require a small amount of preparation to get it working right for you.

You could log in with the local Administrator account, which will then allow you access to all the required folders, and transfer them across. The files will currently be in the following folder:

c:\documents and settings\<<OLDUSERNAME>>\My Documents\

where <<OLDUSERNAME>> is the logon name of the 'old' account.

Just transfer everything in there to

c:\documents and settings\<<NEWUSERNAME>>\My Documents\

where <<NEWUSERNAME>> is the logon name of the 'new' account.

You might also check the folder:

c:\documents and settings\<<OLDUSERNAME>>\Desktop\

just in case anything was stored on your old desktop. You can drag and drop those files straight onto your new desktop if you like, or alternatively the:

c:\documents and settings\<<NEWUSERNAME>>\Desktop\

Another alternative is to log back in as your original user, and then load all of your files onto a memory stick, or other removable media, or even create a new folder off the root of C:\ and transfer them across that way.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/lost-data-235773.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Oh-Oh, now I am in trouble. Recently had to reinstall office 2003 to my XP Pro system I just realized that it deleted all of my saved data stored in “My Documents.” In addition, my Norton Recycle Bin is empty. Is there anything I can do to recoup these lost documents? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Eddie460

Use system restore, go back to before the install, back up files to disk, then use system restore again to bring you back to the current settings

Hope this helps

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-data.403995/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hello all.

I really messed up. I formatted my hard drive and forgot to back up my programs. is ther a way to get my stuff back.

A:Lost all data

Well your programs are a different story than your data. If you wanted to get your Microsoft Office, or something like that you will need to have the installatoin disc/files to do so. However if you were hoping to get off some word or excel documents then you might be able to use a data recovery software to see if it is still there.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-all-data.38380/
Relevancy 46.01%

hi, i had a prob with my computer and internet. was advised to use my back up cd, which i did, but i have in turn lost every single program/file from my computer. I am quite desperate. is there any way of me getting them back?? Please help me!

A:Lost DATA

sounds like they had you reformat, in which case, no, theres no way, maybe if you spent hundreds of thousands of dollars for a professional data recovery team to work over your hdd......

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/lost-data-26907.html
Relevancy 46.01%

A friends laptop with all his work died. We have removed the HD and connected it ot a usb connection but just get errors and asks to format. Have tried HDD regenerator, easy recovery, getdatabackfor fat, file recover and some more with no luck. just errors. I take it that the drive is bad even though it makes noises.

A:Is the data lost?

You might be able to save the drive,

Using 2.5 cable adapter from laptop HDD to 3.5 desktop HDD connector. Best bet is to either find someone who has this type of setup or go buy the connectors yourself. You would still need to get Norton Ghost or opensource version to clone that bad drive to a new 2.5 HDD for the laptop. If it's really really bad and you get errors while cloning or backup then you're out of luck. You could put the drive in the refg to cool it then it again. Another way it to take a screw driver and tap it a few times lightly, don't go crazy. There are companies out there that can recover the data for you, but at a high price.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-the-data-lost.87513/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi
Im a girl so obviously dont know what im doing!!!! lol

I backed up all my documents (photos, files work stuff etc.) to disk so i could reset my computer.
After i had copied everything i needed to disk i ran the disk to check everything i neeeded was on there.. and it was.. then our computer crashed and now the disk is empty and i have lost everything... aaargh

please help is it gone forever.

computer is a dell inspirion 6400 running vista

A:data lost

What disk? Where? How?

Sorry, but you didn't explain what you did very well. Did you put your files on CD or another drive, or what? Where are they now and do you have copies?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-lost.812526/
Relevancy 46.01%

A few days ago, I went through extensive work translating the contents of various word files (in the process, ridding myself of significant data to concisely organize said files) to OpenOffice. Only days later, I moved the files to default folders belonging to the partition (created when i partiotioned my drive, but i haven't a clue what they are: named with random characters and contain txt files), and was unable to later access them (folder indicated that 0 files are contained within it, which i infer to mean that my files were basically deleted). So I restore my system to the most recent restore point, and the original file where i kept my OpenOffice files is where it used to be, the only problem being that the files arent there - nor do they exist on the hard-drive at all.

Is there any chance I can regain the data or is it irretrievably lost?

A:Lost Data?

System Restore, well, restores the system. I've never seen it restore lost user data. In fact, it has been moreover the CAUSE of lost user data. It is marked 'evil' in my book.

Anyway, from what I gather, you created OpenOffice file(s), copied data into them from the Word documents. Then days later, moved the Word?/OpenOffice? file to another directory/drive, but they are corrupted? Was that before or after restore? Was that on the same partition Windows resides on? What files did you delete?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/lost-data-172003.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Ive just installed a new Samsung H/D WITH xp/sp1 nfts and used original H/D with win 98se as slave (Maxtor)
The problem is that xp locates the drive and asks if i want to format it as file system comes up as RAW?
ALL jumper settings and bios detection is correct and the second drive (win 98se) Runs perfectly well on its own right with no problems?? fat 32 sys
I would like to transfer all files over to new drive before re formating this one.

Any Ideas to resolve this will be welcomed

Relevancy 46.01%

Had a post it note type software that would display several notes everytime I booted. I tried to use system restore and found it turned off. Don't know how it was switched. Possibly a virus or software bug. Is there another way to restore to a previous date using third party software?

Sorry to hear of your issue.  If you do not have any system restore points, then, as far as I know (and I am not an expert), you are pretty much stuck.  There are programs that will recover files, but none that I have heard about (so far) that will re-install programs that have disappeared.  Did you check the Control Panel (Uninstall Programs) to see if the program is still showing as installed?  If so, is there a "Repair" option if you click uninstall?  Some programs come with a repair capability to repair the program files and registry entries if something has become corrupted.

Personally, I rely on full system images done weekly on both of my computers, plus daily backups of any changed data files.  Nothing "forgets" faster than a computer.  Backups are really worth the effort.  There are lots of great products out there (Easeus, Macrium, etc.).

Hope this was of some help.  Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/563578/lost-data/
Relevancy 46.01%

I backed up my c drive using the built in Dell DataSafe Local Backup system in my Inspiron PC Service Tag WS KM I was advised to this from a friend of mine Upon completion Data Lost of the backup I found that I lost all my outlook contacts in my address book Plus I lost a number of documents from My Documents and all my picture files I tried to contact Dell to inquire if I could reverse their backup Did not receive any help I am an years old man who has only limited knowledge Lost Data of PC s I do have Norton Ghost which Lost Data I use to backup my C Drive to an external Buffalo hard drive I believe we failed to perform a backup before we backed up with the Dell system The earliest date I can restore the system is All earlier restore points were deleted My next thought is to move transfer all my important data such banking info etc to my HP laptop and Recover my Dell PC to its original factory setup Any advice or help would be much appreciated MayorSam nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-data.1081458/
Relevancy 46.01%

hello everyone

i had a<windows root > system 32 \hall.dllproblem after several attempts i was able to install windows xp pro and when i started my pc i foud that all my data was lost . is there any way i van recover that lost data and if there is any way how ? even i lost my internet connection . I tried to install AOL and that did not work .please help
mc

When you reinstalled the OS, did you perform a clean install or an implace upgrade or repair?

Clean install wipe out the drive - format reinstall
Repair - choose repair option
Implace upgrade reinstalled windows over itself

Also are all the old application available or you had to reinstall them?

If you look at C:\ Document and Settings do you see your old profile which contains the old data?
Have you tried to do a search for the all data using windows search?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-data.678043/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hola

I was wondering does any one know of software wich you van use to rcover data from deleted partitions?

Acronis Partition Recovery can restore deleted partition.
It has automatic and Manual recovery mode selections plus a Windows XP-like wizard styled interface for superior usability and ease of use.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-data.453385/
Relevancy 46.01%

I have a Seagate 3T desktop expansion, after a recent power failure, the drive is inaccessible. It is seen by the computer as a local disk, but that is it. I have been scouring the net for recovery programs, so far nothing actually sees the drive. I had a flash drive in at the same time and it also is inaccessible. This happened with a 1T Seagate drive, and I was able to recovery the files using M3 Data, however every time I run it freezes with 4 seconds left. Seagate offered to recover the files for $600. I told them they "out their goddammed minds". Any information as to why this happens and how to prevent it would be appreciated and ANY help with recovery would also be greatly appreciated.
PS I will NEVER Buy a Seagate drive again, EVER!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-data.1159072/
Relevancy 46.01%

I run windows vista on my pc But I was Data Lost having some issues which seemed to be caused by my new graphics card A friend of mine recomennded that install XP on a different hard drive to see if the problem was a driver issue So I booted XP from the CD and waited for the instruction to folllow But no instructions did follow It didnt let me select a partiton and formatted the c drive Anyway I contiuned the installation as vista seemed to have gone with the wind Anyone so now all the data on my C drive has gone but all the data on my back up E drive Lost Data has gone as well Overall I m not too worried but their were some videos on there and some data I d hate to lose Is there anyway to recover this data even though the drive has been formatted and a new OS has been installed or is it gone for good If anyone could let me know ASAP so I can get Vista re-installed again and prepare to kill my friend I m reluctant to install anything incase it re-writes over old and hidden data Any Help appreciated Rachel nbsp

Relevancy 46.01%

Hi can any one help with this one
i was setting up a new user account on one of the computers at work and got called away when i got back someone had turned the computer off and when i re-started it the user account what was already on has gone and all the emails and contacts with it
is there anyway i can retrieve this information
any help would be greatly appreciated
the computer runs xp pro

Did you happen to create a restore point on that computer? If you did, it'll restore all things to that point, including all files that have been created since then. So, if you do this, proceed with caution. Alternately, there should be a folder containing the users contents. As far as e-mails go, you still should be able to log into the email and retrieve those. As far as the contacts, shouldn't that be with the email account? If not, those might be saved in the folder for that particular user. Make sure you're logged in as the administrator, and you should be able to access all the files.

Regards,

Brandon

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/lost-data-137674.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I have recently attempted to upgrade a Dell PowerEdge 840 server from 2 mirrored and dynamic 500gb drives to 2 1TB mirrored drives. The SAS 5/ir controller had the 2nd mirrored pair removed and I now need to recover the data from the 2 500gb drives (approx 400gb of data). I am unable to restored the raid 1 configuration from the drives back to the controller (after 5+ hours of phone support with Dell).

When I connect each drive seperately to another system, they come up as Unallocated and show up as having been Dynamic drives in the mirrored set. I am currently attempting a data recovery on one of the drives, but looking for a speedier and more effective way to recover the important data fromt he 2nd mirrored drive.

Any assistance is GREATLY appreciated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-of-data.825934/
Relevancy 46.01%

im using p4 machine .i was planning to replace hdd (80 gb sata to 80 gb sata)
so i planned to use ghost 8 (Symentec) for that .But while selecting source & destination drive i made mistake . i selected new hdd as source & old hdd as destinatin.
i lost all data.so kindly suggest me what to do?
which is best software to use in this condition for data recovery.

Kindly guide

Relevancy 46.01%

hi all
here I got surprised that data from my CD is lost.
I purchased a licenced copy of a software a long time back.that time it was ok and everything was fine.
now a days again I'd the requirement of that software.
this time when I tried to install from the same original CD given by the vender,it's not working.when I checked the disk it's showing no data.it's just an blank CD.
how it happend ?
is it possible that the data cen be lost from the CD after a certain period.
I requested the vender and sent the invoice,this time he charged me 50%of actual price and sent me the new CD.it's ok ,working fine
but my concern is it possible that the data can automaticaly be lost ?

Relevancy 46.01%

I accidently deleted some .rar files & some movies

I tried to recover those with lots of different appz but didnt success

Any help would be great
Thanking You

A:Data Lost

which apps did you try? Did you empty your Recycle bin? You can try Recuva or Test Disk to attempt recover your lost data.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/data-lost-611285.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hey,
i am running windows xp sp2... i have a 160gb segate.. today i was trying to run scan disk c: , d: , e: and f: but by accident i click to format drive and clicked to quick format after i realized oh my God by accidently i am formating my drive without thinking anything else firsthand i restarted my computer and when it started again i went to the my computer and click on f: but it was telling me do you want to format it now ( yes, no ) i was clicking no and it was not letting me in, over and over i was trying to get into drive f: but same message so i click on yes and now my i lost all of my data from my drive f: , is there any way to get back my data ?

note : it was formated directly without going to the recyclebin....

any help will be appriciated... thanks in advance..

A:data lost in win xp

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxPayne

Hey,
i am running windows xp sp2... i have a 160gb segate.. today i was trying to run scan disk c: , d: , e: and f: but by accident i click to format drive and clicked to quick format after i realized oh my God by accidently i am formating my drive without thinking anything else firsthand i restarted my computer and when it started again i went to the my computer and click on f: but it was telling me do you want to format it now ( yes, no ) i was clicking no and it was not letting me in, over and over i was trying to get into drive f: but same message so i click on yes and now my i lost all of my data from my drive f: , is there any way to get back my data ?

note : it was formated directly without going to the recyclebin....

any help will be appriciated... thanks in advance..

You could try repair install if the pc gives you the option/

1 - Boot with the Windows XP CD press any to boot XP disk
2 - Boot with the Windows XP CD and at the Setup Screen press Enter
3 - You will be taken to the Windows XP Licensing Agreement. After reading the agreement press F8 to proceed.
4 - The next screen gives you the option to do a fresh (clean) install or to repair the selected Windows XP installation. To run a Repair Install Press "R" at this time.
**Note** if you do not see the option to repair the selected Windows XP installation DO NOT choose the option to continue installing a fresh copy without repairing as that will overwrite your data and cause unrecoverable data loss.

5 - Windows XP will copy the necessary files to your Hard Drive to begin the installation and will then reboot. You will see the message that informs you to "Press any key to boot the CD". Do not press any keys this time just wait a few seconds and the Windows Startup Screen will be displayed. Following this you will be greeted by the Windows XP Setup Screens.
6 - When Setup has completed you should find all of your previously installed apps and settings are intact

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/data-lost-in-win-xp-118914.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi is there anyone that can give me some advice please I have a Sony Vaio FZ series laptop anyway the graphics have gone down on it and sony are picking it up Tuesday They told me to get what data I wanted to Data Lost keep off it obviously before they have it incase they lose it or whaterver Basically I took the hard drive out and put it in an encloseure connected it to my main computer and selected copy the whole 'm' drive and proceeded to paste it into another drive everything started quite well it Lost Data transferred about gig or so and then slowed down and eventually come to a halt Without any warning the computer shut down anyway when I restarted and checked the laptop drive m it was showing that everything was still there but all folders etc contain no bytes when I click properties for that drive it says that there is still gig in there strange and only gig coppied to the other drive So basically what Im asking is there anyway of retreiving the data as it was only copy and paste and not cut Thanks to anyone in advance

Welcome
I think that if you download the free version of recuva, you will be able to save your stuff
http://www.piriform.com/recuva

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/295864-lost-data.html
Relevancy 46.01%

There was a power surge and now one of my HDD only sees its unused space, it had "unknown" partition I had no choice to repartition my HDD. But now it sees its total space as free space before the power surge.

I have reformatted and reinstalled OS on my computer: Hard drive in question is 400GB IDE drive that thinks its a 137GB hard drive, 80GB IDE hard drive have OS windows xp pro SP1 I think because of reformat, Gigabyte KT333 motherboard I think, AMD Athlon 2700, Gforce FX 5500.

It there any way I can recover the used space or ad least make my computer see the hard drives total space.

Relevancy 45.15%

All the calendar entries are gone. Fortunately I copied (manually) to a computer at work so I can reload them (manually). What I want is a 3rd party calendar app that can save all the entries to a file on the phone (which can then be copied to another computer with Windows Explorer). I am not going to use the Windows backup feature. I am using contacts+message backup app for the other stuff that I need to backup but it doesn't backup the calendar. I didn't even know that this memory loss was possible! What a bummer. I don't use my phone for much other than contacts, text messaging, and the calendar is very important - an error in judgement on my part in not seeking a backup feature earlier. Live and learn...
-pj

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/438279-calendar-lost-all-data.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi i ''had'' allot of text docs save to a 4G usb stick some of which i deleted for the sake of my own privacy ,i was lending it out to other peoples.

I just need some suggestion on freeware programs that's are easy to use ,i only need to retrieve 1 .txt file with an old gmail password that i had deleted.

A:Retrieve lost data from USB?

Hi YOGURT

Have you tried Recuva?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/retrieve-lost-data-from-usb.927761/
Relevancy 45.15%

help please! whilst uploading a college assignment my pc crashed and now the file is gone. Is there anything i can do to find them?

A:recovering lost data

Can you tell us a little about it? Is the machine running? Where were you uploading? Did the upload succeed? Etc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-lost-data.675873/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi,

Ive recently reformatted my sisters computer, as i was formatting it i had my Maxtor Basics 500GB external HDD plugged in, as i started formatting it i made the mistake of deleting the partition on my external, i was wondering if there is any way possible i can recover all the data that was on my external HDD?

Thanks alot and sorry if i posted in the wrong section

Relevancy 45.15%

I used winzip to zip a database (SQL Server). I brought it home and loaded it on my PC using code in query analyer.

The original DB contained a table with over 36,000 records but when I loaded it on my PC at home I lost a little over 10,000 records.

What has happened??

It appears that I have lost data in other tables as well.

This is not good.....

A:WINZIP Lost Data

It's impossible to analyze what happened from the description, but I doubt I'd start by blaming WinZip. It's in use by countless people, and I've never heard a report of it losing data, and I've certainly never experienced it myself. Is it possible that the data was distributed and you simply didn't get all the files?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/winzip-lost-data.126846/
Relevancy 45.15%

This is my first post I have a little stationery shop I DATA LOST MY FILES ran utilities - Advancedsystem Care found damage registers more than usually Automatically LOST MY DATA FILES repair at end - Malwarebytes found PUPs Send to Quarantine - CCleaner pops-up window indicating me that where XXX MB I could delete Run CCleaner and deleted Shut down computer and the next day when I started POS software all my DATA files gone check the directory other years files and nothing Check similar apps and the same all the exe dll com files are intact but all the data files disappear Already ran the next utilities in that order - Undo AdvancedSystem Care and Malwarebytes CCleaner doesn't have a recovery file - RKill com - Malwarebytes again - USBFix - HFRecovery But didn't work I think my files are on the disk hidden because the free space has not change Please help my to find my data files Thanks in advanced and sorry because English is not my language

A:LOST MY DATA FILES

Hi jechavi Can you tell me in which folders were your files located? Also, which software did you start? What's the name of it?On a side note, concerning Advanced SystemCare...PC Booster/Tune-Up Program Warning!"PC Booster/Tune Up" programs are part of the worst programs you can install on a system. When it comes to messing up your system (Windows), these are as worst as malware. They are completely worthless and useless to use. The worst is that they'll often take action on your system without you knowing, nor authorizing it, which could lead to your system being altered in a way you don't want it to be or even worst, a "broke" system. Every feature they provide, you can either do it natively under Windows, do it via another standalone executable (which is way easier and safer to use) or they aren't providing something you need. Here's a few examples:Cleaning temporary files: TFC (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Cleanmgr.exe (in-built);Managing start-up entries: Autoruns (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Task Manager and Registry (in-built);Driver Updater: Not needed, all you need is to go on your manufacturer website so you'll be sure to get the right, official, working drivers for your computer or hardware;Registry Cleaner/Defragger: Completely useless and also dangerous;Disk Defragging: Disk Defrag (in-built), O&O Disk Defrag (installed), Defraggler (installed);Powerful uninstaller: Not needed, only needed when you have to make sure a program is completely uninstalled. Revo Uninstaller have a portable version you can use;"Enhanced" Task Manager: Procexp (standalone executable), Process Hacker (portable or installed);"Active security": Any Antivirus and Antimalware can beat that, easily. These programs aren't made to replace Antivirus or Antimalware products and shouldn't be seen as such;Repair Hard Drive issues: Simple chkdsk /r command under Windows (in-built);Having such program installing on your system will just bloat it down and you have more chances to have issues by using them than without. These products are advertised as a program that can solve all your issues, remove every malware, speed up your computer performance over 100%, etc. The truth is that there's not a single program that can do that. First of all, these programs aren't made to remove virus and malware, leave this in the hands of Antivirus and Antimalware, period. Secondly, there's so many kind of issues under Windows that there's not a single program that can address them all. If you think that BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) issues can be solved by opening a program and clicking on a "Fix" button, then I'm sorry to tell you but, you're wrong. Also, you cannot boost the performance of a hardware over it's hardware capabilities. Of course you can overclock some components, like your CPU, RAM and GPU, but these aren't done via these programs, but via your BIOS interface. I could recommend you a program for every feature these programs advertise, and also tell you exactly in detail why most of them are completely useless, such as Registry cleaner (dangerous to use), and driver updater (dangerous to use, and also completely useless, it'll not improve your system performance). In the end, buying such programs is the exact same as being scammed (because this is what it is, a pure scam) and using one of these programs will result you in having a system less performant than prior to using it.Relevant articles if you want to read more about PC Boosters/Optimizers and why they are useless:How to Optimize and Tune-Up Your PC Without Paying an Eletronics Store - HowToGeek10 Types of System Tools and Optimization Programs You Don't Need on Windows - HowToGeekPC Cleaning Apps are a Scam: Here's Why (and How to Speed Up Your PC) - HowToGeekRegistry Cleaners Warning!I see that you have a Registry Cleaner program installed. These programs are known to be harmful to the system and should not be used for any reason there is. It's a known fact... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584371/lost-my-data-files/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi Oh the joys of sharing a PC Have two internal HD s in PC C and F Using XP The other party uses Drive F and has inadvertently run it down so that it is now totally full No error message appeared apparently saying that drive was running low Anyway it seems all the files are lost on the F drive Get an error message something to the effect of quot The disk in Drive F is not Formatted HD To Due Data HD Up All Lost Filling Do you want to Format it now quot Also another error message - quot Windows delayed write failed Lost All HD Data Due To HD Filling Up Windows was unable to save all the data for the file quot F system volume Information -restore A - A - BCA- - D DDBF F The data has been lost quot None of the files in F show up anymore in Windows Explorer Going to My Computer F shows the pie chart totally full and there is a line that says there is no free space left and all is used Also something to Lost All HD Data Due To HD Filling Up the effect that the data in F is quot lost quot I did try a System Restore Lost All HD Data Due To HD Filling Up to a date of a few days ago but this accomplished nothing a Is there any way to get back the old files b Why does it think it needs to re-formatted c If it shows that the drive is totally full doesn t that imply that the info is still there Might there be some quot recovery quot type of program available Obviously any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated Much thanks appreciate it very much Bob

A:Lost All HD Data Due To HD Filling Up

Hi .

Are you sure that nothing else has impacted this drive? I've seen totally full drives before but the files have always been visible.

And...in every case, I've seen a warning when the drive goes beyond a certain threshold when the user is trying to input more files.

Maybe your F: drive is just going bad and you are seeing the effects of such.

<<Also something to the effect that the data in F is "lost".>>

Can you be more exact?

As for recovery software...all sorts available, many of us have used such at one time. Are you talking free or paid?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/194854/lost-all-hd-data-due-to-hd-filling-up/
Relevancy 45.15%

I formatted about seven cds and put data and pictures on them with my Dell computer. I popped the cds out and put them back in to make sure the info was still on them before I deleted it off my computer. When I put the new cds into my Toshiba, nothing shows up on the cds. I can look at the back of the cds and tell there is something on them. Is there a reason they won't show up on any of the computers I've tried them on??? Please help! I am very sad to see all of my work gone!

A:Please Help! I've lost all data on formatted cds!

Either your optical drive on the Dell, or the optical drive on the Toshiba. Try them in a third machine. My guess is that the Dell drive is out of alignment. Read them in the dell, and copy them back to the hard drive if needed, then rush down to Wal-Mart or Circuit City or CompUSA or Best Buy or Sams Club or Costco, and buy a new CD-Burner for about $24 to $29... or a DVD burner for $44... and make the problem go away.
Optical drives are now the most fragile part of a computer... seldom lasting as long as a year... easily getting out of alignment, and causing the trouble you describe.
You just do not know whether the Dell or the Toshiba is the culprit.
Good luck to youl.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/please-help-ive-lost-all-data-on-formatted-cds.85714/
Relevancy 45.15%

I am looking for a program that could recover my lost data from my hard drive. I had to reformat my hard drive to reload windows and I deleted the second hard drive in my computer where my back up data is stored. Is there a program that can get my data back in the folder not by there extension?

Relevancy 45.15%

I'm just curious to know:

How many of you have ever lost information due to an infection of some sort?
Did you manage to recover all or any of your data?
How has it changed your approach to system security now?

Multiple answers are allowed, if you only choose 1 otion, please make it the worst that has happened to you!
Please be honest, I'm hoping that seeing some of these results and answers may help to encourage some of our members who are relatively new to computing to take more interest in their security policies and setup.

I sincerely hope that you never have to experience the loss of important data, especially that of a sentimental nature... Stay safe

A:Have you ever lost data due to infections?

Orpheuous! is this a response to your earlier post lol....

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/60112-have-you-ever-lost-data-due-infections.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I have recently experienced problems with my lap top. It got to the point where my computer wouldnt even start without reinstalling Windows. However, once I reinstalled Windows, all my pictures were/ are gone. I have done basic searches which have worked in the past, but I am unable to locate them.

When reloading everything, I am not sure what happened but I reinstalled Windows and drivers.

Please let me know if there is anyway to retreive my lost pictures.

A:Lost Data/Pictures

Hi ausin james

One of the possible outcomes of a Windows XP repair is that you lose the contents of your My Documents folders. (Not a wonderful thing -- full details are in Michael Steven's excellent articles on XP repairs --- http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XP...l.htm#Warning1 ---).

If you are fortunate, your repair install may not have overwritten the space on the hard drive where you documents, pictures, and music reside. You can try a Data Recovery tool, such as "PC Inspector File Recovery" --- http://www.download.com/PC-Inspector...dlPid=10378268 --- which will attempt to find and recover your lost files. PC Inspector File Recovery is freeware, and has a decent reputation. Always scan software downloads anyway, though, as a precaution.

Best of luck!
. . . Gary

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/lost-data-pictures-268304.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hello,

While re-installing office 2007 in my PC, i lost data of some important project i can't found it anywhere. I was kept those files in my desktop.

Is there any way to recovery those data to my PC? Please help me.

A:Data Lost Help Require

Quote:

I was kept those files in my desktop.

Did you do a search for the files? Did you look in the Recycle Bin?
Try the free program Recuva. If that fails try the free TestDisk.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/data-lost-help-require-679431.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I had recently upgraded to Windows 10. Earlier, I was using Windows 8. After upgrading to windows 10, I had lost all my previous data which is really useful for me. Please tell me how I can recover my deleted data.

A:Please Help!!!! Data Lost while upgrading

All files of any importance should have at least 1 backup copy while those of particular importance should have 2 or more backup copies. Backups are particularly important before doing something like an OS upgrade. Backups need to be made before you have a problem as after may be too late. Data recovery is often problematic and cannot be relied on.Sorry I cannot help with recovery as I have never had the need.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-10/please-help-data-lost-while-upgrading/581.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi there,

I formatted NTFS C drive partition in Windows XP home edition operating system.

There was very important two "shared folders" in the "shared documents folders" in the C drive.

I have a lot of work in the form of .doc, .txt and JPEG files.

I will be really thankful if anyone can tell me that how can I recover my lost data accurately.

Looking for an urgent reply.

Best Regards

A:Data Lost (Urgent Help Please)

Hello, bushibashir.
Hopefully you didn't install Windows yet, as that can overwrite your data and make it impossible to recover.
You can put the HD in another computer as a slave and run a data recovery program. There are no guarantees, but you may be able to recover everything.

PC Inspector is the only one I've tried and I was able to recover most of my files after an accidental format of the wrong drive. Most of my J-pegs were corrupt, however.
http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

Good luck, and remember to back up important data in the future.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-lost-urgent-help-please.598897/
Relevancy 45.15%

Yesterday, my friend's hard drive was reformatted in order to upgrade the operating system. It was done without her permission and she lost a lot of valuable data. What is the best thing that can be done to recover the lost data? It is a PC and is about three years old. Beyond that, I'm not sure on the specs.

Thanks

Relevancy 45.15%

Ok so I was using CopySynch desktop and wanted to copy 2 files on my desktop, but I didn't realize the program was set to mirror to instead of copy to... IT IS ALWAYS SET TO COPY ! So it mirrored those two files on my desktop and now all I have on my desktop are those two files. I had a bunch of important stuff on there, school projects and all. I'm going CRAZY ! Please help ! God I hope it's reversible.

A:LOST ALL DESKTOP DATA, please HELP

Where are you copying/syncing to?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-all-desktop-data-please-help.758977/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hello everyone I lost all my data and must to recover it I am hoping any praying for assistance in the recovery of my data it recover to lost all data my and *must* that is quot stuck lost all my data and *must* to recover it quot in my computer I am very distressed because of this and I can use lost all my data and *must* to recover it all the help in the data recovery I could get I m an quot intermediate quot in computer knowledge I will try to make this as short and concise as I can I run lost all my data and *must* to recover it Win SE computer has a floppy disk drive to boot Synopsis of what happened got a virus of some kind First the entire desktop looked quot normal quot but nothing nothing on it was operable double clicking on icons did NOTHING ALL the files in the START menu became unassociated with any program to open amp run them and EVERY SINGLE icon in ALL of the subfolders changed to the quot generic quot Windows quot unassociated quot icon plain white background with the -color Windows Pane A Note All menus could pop open up from the start menu EXCEPT for the quot Search Find Files Folders quot menu that one basically vanished A while later icons disappeared from my desktop the Recycle Bin the My Documents folder and I m not sure what the rd one was could not remember what had been in that spot but it was NOT the My Computer Folder although double clicking on My Computer did nothing Then a short while later My screen flashed for a second or two and then ALL my icons on the desktop suddenly went to the Windows quot generic quot icons as described above with all the files in the START menus the file names were still visible BUT ALL the extensions changed to ones I ve never heard of I do remember some were changed to quot ink quot extensions I did a search of this extension and I do NOT have CorelDRAW and never have At this point I literally couldn t do a thing ALL files and icons were unassociated with any program that would open them the quot Search Find Files quot folder off the START menu was basically gone and my Recycle Bin and My Documents folder had vanished Next I tried to use quot START gt Shutdown gt DOS quot in an effort to reboot in DOS but when I tried that choice from the Shutdown Menu DOS had ceased working too At this point EVERYTHING was basically rendered unusable so I shut down computer completely START gt Shutdown gt Turn Computer Off - this worked normally and the computer shut off then I turned off the power on the surge protector Here s where it gets interesting I waited about minutes and then powered up the computer It sounded like it was booting up normally but then A a screen popped up and said quot Windows is setting up your computer and next B a Setup Wizard screen popped up asking my name I entered it and pressed quot OK quot that was the only choice next was C the Windows License Agreement I quot accepted quot it and pressed quot OK quot and D then the next screen was the one that asks me to enter my Windows Product Key off the original paperwork At this time I figured out it basically was quot forcing quot me to re-install my WIN SE off my recovery CD which in doing so would have re-installed amp re-written WIN SE over all my current data in the machine I certainly did not want to do this reinstall Windows over my data so at this screen I pressed quot CANCEL quot and the machine literally shut-down by itself and since then I have not attempted to turn it back on Soooo at this point in time all my files are currently on my hard drive and they are ALL unassociated with any programs to open them BUT when the hard drive gets powered on it is basically at the quot beginning point quot that asks user to re-install Windows with the Product Key and Recovery CD nbsp

A:lost all my data and *must* to recover it

Take the hard drive out, and install it as a slave drive in another computer or put it in a USB external enclosure and try to read the data.

I'm going to assume the file extensions changed to LNK not INK. You saw lnk which is not a capital I, it's a small L. It sounds like a virus, so the data may not be retrievable, but try the suggestion above. If that doesn't work, you'll have to pay a data recovery company to try, but you have to pay even if they don't recover anything, and it could get very expensive (hundreds of dollars).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-all-my-data-and-must-to-recover-it.479102/
Relevancy 45.15%

My last quot out of range quot recovery attempt caused me to lose some data I'm using a Compaq SR F with Vista and have been dealing with the standard quot night data my last Lost out of range Lost my data last night quot message quite frequently I'm aware of the quot out of Lost my data last night range quot fix but I have a quot LCD and do alot of graphics x doesn't suit me XP gave me better than x and I don't think that Vista is the OS for me but when I bought this computer it was only offered with Vista Last night I could not get to safe mode nor to a command prompt the only screen available was the recovery utility and the only option was to reformat the Windows partition and once the recovery started I shut down immediately once I realized that I'd lose my files but it was too late the only screen that would show up was the recovery screen I have heard that the data still resides on the drive and now that I've reinstalled all of my software I need to know whether the lost files can ever be recovered Has anyone out there got a fix for my lost data I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me direction the files were photos jpg and a few mod files from my video camera Yes I've already learned the importance of backing up my files but I could still use a break here Thank you for your help if that help is forthcoming Eddie

A:Lost my data last night

If you wouldn't have touched your hard drive after losing the ability to boot into it, there would have been a chance of recovering most of your files from the hard drive. Unfortunately, since you have reformatted and installed everything back there is a slim chance that you may be able to recover anything. If you would like to attempt to see if there's anything left that is recoverable on your drive, try using RecoverMyFiles. For that, you will need to install it on another hard drive so it could scan the entire affected drive.
Sorry, but there isn't much else you can do. To prevent this from happening again, purchase an extra hard drive where you could store your media files instead of storing them on the main drive with the OS.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/172147-lost-my-data-last-night.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hello all I have a Seagate GB external hard drive It was dropped last night while plugged in nothing major really but now the majority of Data...Need Lost Recover to its files do not show up in Explorer I do not want to pay an arm and a leg for data recovery services but I m afraid that is going to end up being the case However I am hoping someone on here will be able to help me before I commit to such a financial burden I downloaded GetDataBack last night and it gave me errors related to being unable to read certain sectors Their website told me to make an image of the harddrive and then to try and recover that image instead but it too gave me sector-reading errors Any thoughts Also all of my music files iTunes uses is on the drive I am still able to open iTunes and play those songs that I can no longer see in Explorer nbsp

Relevancy 45.15%

i did a master reset because i forgot the pass word to my computer and it deleted all my pictures and music is their a way to restore all of that data??

Relevancy 45.15%

Not one of the smartest things I did but my mate gave me his old computer excluding the HDDs

So I installed my HDD into it and thought while I was at it might as well upgrade to windows 7 (From XP) since I had to reinstall the OS.
I installed window 7 using the upgrade option and the HDD were cleaned. I left it for a while only to come back now an unbootabe computer..... I reinstalled having to go through the custom install. I can now log into the computer.

Is the data on my HDDs gone forever???

Also the OS isnt recognising one of my HDD's?? (Maybe save it for another post)

If this isnt the right section please let me know where to repost

Thanks I appreciate any help out guys can give.

A:Recoverying lost data from HDD??

Gone forever?

Depends.

Files are not gone unless the physical part of the HDD have been over written by characters [ either random zeros and ones 0s & 1s ] or some specific pattern. Imagine your HDD is a grid, like a checkerboard. On the checkerboard, imagine a coin on each square. As long as each square has a coin, no additional coins can be added. If you remove a coin, the square becomes available for a new coin.

When we delete a file [ remove a coin ], the coin STAYS there. We can NOT remove it. We can only place a new coin on it.

If the areas of your hard drive, on which files [ music, images, finances, web pages, doctoral theses ] are still there, UNTIL it becomes available. When the hard drive is reformatted, the data stays there, but the square has been declared available by the format process.

SO, if the areas of your hard drive have new data [ been over written ], the FBI, CIA, NSA, Mossad, could have a chance at recovering some data, but for people such as myself [ I won't speak for you. ] the data is gone.

Data recovery software is available. Within the past 10 yrs [ sorry that I can't be more specific ] will let you download & run it for free, but they charge you only if you want to recover specific files. I don't recall the name of the software.

Some resources:
http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Secure_Deletion_and_File_Recovery

http://forums.techguy.org/reviews/577385-data-recovery-perspectives-popular-commercial.html

I suggest that you start a new thread regarding the HDD that isn't found.
Provide the following:
Is the drive SSD [ solid state ]?
If the drive is IDE, is it jumpered as master, slave or cable select?
Does the drive appear in the BIOS?
Try a different cable.
Try a different motherboard port.
RIGHT click "computer"
Left click "manage"
maximize screen
On the left, left click "disk management".
Is the drive present?

RF123

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recoverying-lost-data-from-hdd.1066310/
Relevancy 45.15%

Is there a way of getting back deleted items that have been deleted from the recycle bin..

I am trying to find an old application from that has been on my hard drive in the last couple of months ,but I am afraid it has been deleted after searching through the whole system..

Is it lost or is there a program that will return it for me..

I know you can use system restore but I am not sure on the date and I have too much stuff to back up .

Relevancy 45.15%

Hi All We have had real problems with our laptop the last month and discovered that our Fujitsu Siemens is not the only one with this No updates or service packs were received in four years and it lost data? Can I recover all came to a head last week Trying to install a new copy of Microsoft Office we found nothing would work We had many conversations with tech help at Microsoft and in the end it was decided that we would have to completely reinstall Vista We bought an external hard drive and thought we had saved everything to this before proceeding Sadly we didn't realise that the saving of our photo folder was only a shortcut so once everything was deleted and Vista reinstalled we put hard drive back in we found none of our Can I recover lost data? pictures in it I am now wondering if there is ANY WAY we can recover the lost pictures Or has it all gone for good months of new born daughter Any help would be massively appreciated Hannah

A:Can I recover lost data?

You will need to use recovery programs like this
How to recover files from formatted hard drives?

http://www.bestshareware.net/datarecoverywizardpro.htm

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/290957-can-i-recover-lost-data.html
Relevancy 45.15%

This the Image

HELP ME... HOW TO FIX THIS ALL

A:Help Me.... i lost all my Data File

Any new software/hardware installed?
Scanned for virus, malware lately?
Tried system restore?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/250500-help-me-i-lost-all-my-data-file.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Had some kind of crash, anyway now I can't send or receive mail as none of my folders are visible in my outlook browser. I have searched for the pst files and can find nothing. I think they must have been deleted by an uninstall programme I used to rid myself of KAV5. Before I upgraded to KIS6 there were all my folders in the browser and everything worked.

Can someone please help me and advise me how to restore all my mail?. I have dozens of personal folders lost !, hundreds of archived emails lost, some VERY important. PLEASE HELP.

A:Outlook data LOST !

Is your Windows Explorer set to show hidden files? Make sure that "Show hidden files and folders" is checked. Also uncheck "Hide protected operating system files". Then do a search for *.pst. It may be in a hidden folder.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-data-lost.524754/
Relevancy 45.15%

I purchased this laptop on 2 Aug 2015 and in less than a year this piece of junk came up with three issues the same day. First error was about cooling fan, one day when I switched on it started displaying error regarding one of the cooling fan is not working properly, I called your customer support team and they told me to perform some tests but it didn't work. They sent me an engineer and after checking the system he said there are mainly three errors related to hard disk, cooling fan and speaker. He said all my data will be lost bc of hdd error. You guys make me sick. Is this kind of product you manufacture which doesn't even runs for a year. I am very much disappointed with your services.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Three-issues-in-one-day-Lost-all-my-data-on-hdd/td-p/5668064
Relevancy 45.15%

Performed a "Standard Recovery" per HP's "Troubleshooting and Maintenance Guide" Page 17. This manual states and I quote - "without affecting any data files" (Unquote) However I did lose all Windows Works 8 data. Is there any way to retrieve these files.

HP PAVILION PC 2005 - WINDOWS XP - MICROSOFT WORKS 8 WITH WORD PROCESSOR, SPREADSHEET AND DATABASE.

A:Lost data files

Do a search for the file extension, and type *.XLS for Excel. And *.DOC for Word. If the files exist they'll show up.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-data-files.881151/
Relevancy 45.15%

I'm posting here for a OE prob because it happened during a XP installation.

I had a bootdisk virus and hard drive issue last week which caused me to reinstall XP home. While doing this I lost all OE data (addresses, messages and account).

I now have 4 drives on the PC, including the original drive which still won't boot properly and a additional mirrored. All drive are searched for wab and iaf files. Nothing unique found. Empty address books.

During a installation and not upgrade, is all data written over?
Is the data archives some where else that I might retrieve?

No data was backup or exported (I wish), as it was a OS crash.

I'll take any input.

Thanks in advance,
Burke

Relevancy 45.15%

Hey I would like to know if anyone knows how to recover data that has been erased completely. I don't exactly how to retrieve it before it get written over again.

A:How Do You Recover Lost Data?

Welcome to Bleeping Computer songoten_01 How did you lose your Data...Did you do a complete restore or a complete reinstall of XP?If you did a restore, most of your files should still be on your harddrive.if you did a complete(clean)reinstall of XP,sorry they're gone.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/62823/how-do-you-recover-lost-data/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi
Here is the story:
Have Packard Bell imax with Vista installed, upgraded to Win 7Home Premium. Had problem with PC (Graphic card down - poss m/board fault as well). Took it to someone who said he could fix it, managed to get it running with old pci Graphic card, but only in the process he reverted it back to packard bell Vista recovery mode. Now wont boot up (or at least nothing on screen) - win 7 had password. Have Dell PC with said Hard drive hooked up to it - can i recover lost data ?????

A:Tricky one - Lost Data

Have Dell PC with said Hard drive hooked up to it - can i recover lost data ?????Click to expand...

Do you want to recover data from the "said Hard drive"? If so, can you boot into an operating system on the Dell PC?

If 'yes' to both, can you access [read the directory(ies) on] the "said Hard drive"?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/tricky-one-lost-data.1150113/
Relevancy 45.15%

My data hard drive is seen in disk management but does not show in windows explorer.
I am using windows seven 64 bits.
In disk management the drive shows: Layout: simple, type: basic, file system: NTFS, status: healthy(system-active-primary partition)
How can I retrieve my data? Please help.
Thanks

A:Lost data drive

Is that a drive that came from another system (e.g. XP) or did it just now happen - and what were the circumstances?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/124803-lost-data-drive.html
Relevancy 45.15%

How do people recover data that has been lost due to deleting or formatting on accident? Data such jpg, mpg, word, excel etc...... Is just a program you buy? If so, what is some of the better programs for the price. Of course free is even better

Thank you

A:Recovering lost data???

Here is a list of software related to your question. I haven't tried any of them so it may be worth reading the reviews.

http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/system/fwdatarecovery.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-lost-data.495452/
Relevancy 45.15%

can any one help

i seem to have lost nearly all my programs and their respective data

have tried mcafee virus scan but they see nothing

comp did not crash just lost most of the data from microsoft and intuit products

any help will be appreciated

Relevancy 45.15%

I have a Laptop computer that traveled with me with Vista Pro. It was set up at the company I worked for with some kind of Auto back up for my e-mail. I had the company e-mail MSN and a personal account Roadrunner.com, The company closed so I deleted the MSN account. When I did I lost all my e-mails and contacts. They were tied together some how put I would like to get both e-mails and contacts back
The file must be on my computer even though it was back up to the company server.
I just know how to access it. The computer was at home working for a few weeks before I lost the data and the server was shut down over a week ago so the data had to be stored on my laptop

A:MSN data file lost

If they are present, you can access them with shadow
ShadowExplorer.com - About

http://www.vistax64.com/browsers-mail/293640-msn-data-file-lost.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi.

I have external hard drive disk (HDT725032VLAT80) Hitachi 320 Gb and i did before backup 40 GB data and i wanted to continue , suddenly it came message error and it shows now not ntfc format it looks compelety full and when i try to open the drive it comes this error : D:\is not accessible . The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable . and in computer managment it shows healthy but no data.

please help me i don't want lose my data and format the drive .

thx in advance

A:lost data in external HD

Free recovery applications:

1) Recuva
2) PCI File Recovery
3) Restoration
4) Free Undelete (NTFS only)
5) Softperfect File Recovery
6) ADRC Data Recovery Tools
7) Undelete Plus
8) Data Recovery
9) Recover Files
10) DriveRescue
11) Ultimate Data Recovery
12) Disk Investigator

You might also try partition recovery:

Free:

Testdisk Documentation
Testdisk Download
Partition Find & Mount
Free DTIData NTFS Partition Repair Tool

Commercial:

Diskinternals Partition Recovery (Demo)
[email protected] Partition Recovery
Bootmaster Partition Recovery
ZAR Partition Recovery
DIY DataRecovery DiskPatch
Partition Table Doctor

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-data-in-external-hd.640936/
Relevancy 45.15%

I have tried every means possible to repair the data on this laptop. Windows 2000 CD didn't repair, Norton Ghost wouldn't make an image. It started out as a missing .dll but has turned into a serious problem and I don't want to reinstall windows without having the data backed up first. How could I do this in DOS ?

Relevancy 45.15%

This is my situation I wanted to upgrade my operating system from Windows SE too Windows XP So I attempted to install Windows XP while doing this some screen came up informing me that there were some requirements that must met in order for XP to Data forever??? lost install properly I printed out the assorted requirements and proceeded to remove what it said might cause a conflict during installation Some of the things on the list Data lost forever??? were just programs that would need updates new drivers etc One of the programs it stated MUST be removed prior to installation was my GO BACK DELUXE Just in case you are not familiar with this program which I am fairly certain you are it is a third party restore program by Roxio I believe So no problem I would un-install it I un-installed it and attempted to reboot I could not I had some error message come up saying that I had to re-install Windows I simply could not boot my PC up no matter how many times I had tried So feeling pretty bad about right now about the fact that I had not backed up anything on my PC in some time I tried again and again and tried to think of some way to get this system up and running just so that I could at the least retrieve some personal files and photo s etc from be lost forever No luck After pondering it for some time I figured that the things that really mattered to me were on my D drive I have a GB C drive and a GB D drive The C drive had my operating system and assorted various software programs running on it My D drive only had personal folders approximately GB of information which contained files photos and such I figured my D drive was safe so I just figured I would go ahead into DOS and just format my C drive and then install Windows XP and go from there Well I did just that formatted the hard drive C only The format went without a hitch I then installed Windows XP and all went well I was happy very happy that all went well Now when I went in to look at my D drive there was nothing to be found I looked and looked nothing The hard drive looks tastes and feels empty It shows that the hard drive is empty no matter how I looked at it This is my dilemma Now I am no computer expert obviously or I wouldn t be inquiring for assistance I am more knowledgeable then your amateur user but little more than that When I installed XP I remember it asking me something to the effect if I wanted to format the C drive in NTCP NPTC something like that or FAT I selected the N type file system Now my C drive is this N thing and my D drive still remains FAT according to what I see Could this be the problem I then opened the computer and unplugged the D drive and then plugged it back in and rebooted just to see if that might be the problem no joy here I have formatted a PC on more than a few occasions throughout the many years I have had one and if you attempt to do a format IT WILL ask you more than once if you in fact want to do this Simply put I did not intentionally format the D drive I know better I simply do not know how this happened or how it could have Am I overlooking something Is there anything at all I should try Is there something I can do to recover this GB of information If in fact a hard drive is FORMATTED is there anyway to retrieve the information that was once there Can you help in anyway I would certainly appreciate any advice you can give me anything at all Thank you so much for your time Airkahuna nbsp

A:Data lost forever???

At this point in your problem, I'd disconnect your D: drive to prevent any further damage or loss.

It is possible to retrieve data off of a formatted drive. Although I can't tell you how at this point. (it's late here) And the necessary programs are not very expensive.

I think the most important thing here is to not be in a hurry. (and to disconnect the drive)

BTW, if you'll allow me to make a comment about your posting style, that was a huge long paragraph. If you would break it up by inserting a line break (make a new paragraph) every 2 or 3 sentences, it would be much easier to follow and read.

Good luck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-lost-forever.235245/
Relevancy 45.15%

I had to have my hard drive cleaned up after a virus and beforehand I copied data onto Memorex CD-Rs. Several of them have worked fine and I've been able to put that data back onto my harddrive, but one in particular, and of course the one with the most important data, isn't working. When I insert it into my cd drive, it sows 231 MB free of 702 MB, but when I try to open it, there is nothing in the folder. Any suggestions to help me out? I'm not extremely gifted when it comes to technology but can follow instructions well, so the easier the better for me, and any help will be greatly appreciated.

A:recovering lost data

use recuva. it is free software...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-lost-data.1003821/
Relevancy 45.15%

I Have A E-machine Computer / Windows Xp 2000
I Did A Upgrade To Sp2
After The Upgrade The Next Day I Tried To Open 1 Of My Microsoft Works Spreadsheet And Found The File Opened But I Had No Data
This File Had Important Data Going Back To 01-01-04
Is There Any Way I Can Retrieve The Data From This File
There Were Other Files With This File And They Are Ok
This File Is On My C:documents Xls File
Zero Kb
Need Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You

Dorrie

Relevancy 45.15%

PLEASE HELP!!!

I have a laptop here that someone started deleting things off from, and cancelled the process in the middle, because they realized they didn't want it deleted afterall. Sone of the files are in the original folders, and some of them are not. Some of them are missing now, and some of them aren't.

In summary, it deleted everything up to the point that they clicked the "Cancel" button. None of this stuff appears to be in the 'Recycle Bin'.

Is there any way at all it would be holding this stuff in memory somewhere on the drive. This is very sensitive material, that will be surely missed. I could use any ideas at all. Thanks!

Relevancy 45.15%

I've got a Samsung laptop with Windows 8, and I have been working on an Excel document every day for a while. Today I came to my parents' house and logged onto their internet for the first time. I then worked on my spreadsheet, clicked save, closed it and attached it to an email I sent. I went back to check something and there was only a version saved on Monday. I checked the email attachment and that was the old version too. I've tried recent places etc, should I do a system restore?

Many thanks for any help, and if it's not obvious, I'm a total novice.

A:Excel data lost

System restore won't get data from before the restore point back. Are you sure where the latest version was saved? Maybe it's on your machine, and you just don't realize it. You could search on the name of the spreadsheet file.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/16039-excel-data-lost.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I have been writing several documents over the years using word and Windows 95 and 98. Now I have a new Dell with Windows XP Professional and a Dell tech told me that even tho I stored all of my precious documents on zip and copied them onto this new hard drive under a new C;\, I will never be able to access any of my precious documents {including a long book} because XP will not allow it. Anybody know anything about a converter?? thanks, missfuffy,,, heartbroken

A:lost my word data

I think the Dell people are mistaken.

Does the XP Office Suite have Word 2002?

I hope this will help;
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;212267

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-my-word-data.119609/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi I have two Seagate tb XT internal drives and a Hitachi drive used as my boot drive The two xt drives data re-install Help! after Lost Please were partitioned due to the tb limit using Seagate drive wizard and have been working fine I decided to clean up my PC and re-install Windows I re-installed to the Hitachi drive which went fine but now both xt drives are only showing the larger Please Help! Lost data after re-install partitions and the smaller partitions are showing as unallocated in drive wizard and disc Please Help! Lost data after re-install management I cannot add a drive letter or revive the partitions without losing the data as the only options available are to format or wipe the partitions Am i missing something obvious here I can t see how both drives could have become damaged in the space of an hour and i definitely did not format or change anything except to the Hitachi drive I m not really familiar with partitioning drives but i really can t see what i m doing wrong i just expected to see all four drive letters as they were before the re-install Would really appreciate some help with this as its an awful lot of data i ve lost Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Please Help! Lost data after re-install

A bit late now, but when you are re-installing Windows & you have several other hard drives connected, it's always advisable to remove/disconnect all of them except the one you are going to install Windows on (obviously).

Run the Error Checker on the other two drives to see if it detects & corrects any errors to the file system:
Right-click the drive and choose "Properties"
Click the "Tools" tab
Click "Check Now"
Tick both tick-boxes
Click "Start"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-help-lost-data-after-re-install.1029661/