Windows Support Forum

Installed program, now no boot into Windows

Q: Installed program, now no boot into Windows

Installed program, now no boot into Windows, Help needed ASAP

I just installed this a few minutes ago, and then restarted my win7 64bit computer.

http://lifehacker.com/5561303/solut...peed-up-your-system-boot-fix-system-slowdowns

When the computer started to boot up, it got up to the boot page where the colorful spheres combine to for the microsoft symbol. After a few more seconds, I BSOD and get STOP: 0x0000001E. This is the only code that may seem to help.

Update: I got this after one another restart (total of 5 restarts, just hoping it may work)
An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

I have finals this week and the computer I'm using now sucks. Please help.

-Intel Core 2 Quad [email protected]
-Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
-4gb Mushkin DDR2
-EVGA Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+
-Win7 Home Premium 64
-Standard Case Fans
-Logitech X240 2.1
-Western Digital 500gb WD5001AALS, Western Digital 640gb WD6400AAKS (somehow connected)

-Standard CD
-Raidmax Smilodon

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Installed program, now no boot into Windows

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Installed program, now no boot into Windows

Safe Mode

Try booting into Safe Mode. Then remove the program.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installed-program-now-no-boot-into-windows.148393/
Relevancy 58.91%

Had a disk issue with my system, took to a local repairman, he installed something that the system boots into. My system will not boot to safe, bios or any other mode. I can get into safe mode via msconfig.

The real issue I am trying to fix is iTunes is not working, says it has no program associated with it. wanted to get into safe mode with command prompt to run assoc.exe=exefile Any suggestions of wait to repairman to open and have him help me uninstall what ever software he installed???

A:Repair tech installed a boot program

Welcome Walkingbird
A little more information will help us help you.
HP desktop model number will come in handy.
Can you describe what the program it boots into says? Such as does it say "recovery" or does it have a logo or name?
I take it the f8 key does not take you to the boot choice screen but does the f8 do anything?

It is difficult to say what to do without knowing what program we are dealing with. I would also ask you to make sure there are no cd's or dvd's in the drives prior to boot. I can't tell you how many times I have seen a repair or scanning disk left in the drive by repair personnel cause boot issues.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/291504-repair-tech-installed-boot-program.html
Relevancy 58.91%

On my son s computer we added more hard drives and we couldn t get them named so my son was advised to download a partition program and it would let us name the hard drives Well it did let us name them but and partition a boot computer Installed now program won't then when we turned the computer off and Installed a partition program and now computer won't boot later on turned it back on it went to a black screen and asked for the disc to download Windows again I m not sure that it was the partition program that caused this but I can t think of anything else to do My son built this computer and everything was running just fine except for not being able to access the new hard drives and getting them named I would appreciate any help and suggestions as I am not that computer literate When I put in the Windows disk it says that it is already installed on the computer and can create a windows old file but I don t understand what that is and if it is worth it nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installed-a-partition-program-and-now-computer-wont-boot.1156115/
Relevancy 58.05%

I recently installed Kaspersky PURE Total Security on one of my computers. I'd go to the Security & Malware Removal section, but this is not a malware problem, it's a software problem.

Anyway, the computer I installed it on doesn't have a fast enough CPU, or enough ram to run it. So it won't finish booting. It goes through all of the early boot stuff, like Post and CMOS, and but after the Windows XP logo, I just get a black screen with the cursor. The cursor can be moved, but the Welcome screen never loads.

If I can get to System Restore, I can get to a point where Kaspersky hasn't installed any startup processes or anything, then I can uninstall it. Any ideas on how I can do that?

A:I've installed a program that I don't have the minimum specs for, computer won't boot

If you can boot into safemode it won't load Kaspersky and you'll be able to delete it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ive-installed-a-program-that-i-dont-have-the-minimum-specs-for-computer-wont-boot.980667/
Relevancy 57.62%

How do I do a system restore if I can't get xp to start. It only gets as far as the window that shows when "Windows is starting" except that those words do not come up. It just sits there. I installed a program last night and this has now happened. I do have a "Spotmau" recovery disk. But don't know how to get to restore.

A:Need to restore but no xp disk. Installed a program and now no proper boot sequence

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-to-restore-but-no-xp-disk-installed-a-program-and-now-no-proper-boot-sequence.768827/
Relevancy 56.76%

Not really sure what to do here a while back I ran out of now and a SATA boot program probs it new made installed drive, my HD I have internal HD space on my Dell Dimension with GB hard drive I work in Audio So I bought an internal Sata GB drive and was told it would perform better in live tracking sessions to make it the new master drive and it seemed easy enough so I went through the process at the time to have the BIOS make it I installed a new SATA internal HD and made it my boot drive, now have program probs the new drive and move everything over however when I ran windows again most of my programs worked fine but a few started with error messages yet still started anyway But now I need to update and uninstall some I installed a new SATA internal HD and made it my boot drive, now have program probs programs and when I try to do this for example Microsoft Office which i own and have the official CDs for it says the original installation can't be uninstalled due to there being no uninstall information this happens with a few other programs as well What is my best bet to getting these off my machine I can't even re-install these programs because they detect previous versions already installed but they're nonworking versions that tell me to reinstall Any help would be appreciated If I didn't supply enough specific info just let me know what else I might need to list I'm running windows XP sp

A:I installed a new SATA internal HD and made it my boot drive, now have program probs

Try the Revo uninstaller. http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html Be sure to use the Advanced option to remove all traces in the Registry as well.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/i-installed-a-new-sata-internal-hd-and-made-it-my-boot-drive-now-have-program-probs-388766.html
Relevancy 54.61%

My Computer has Windows XP Professional- Edition version Service Pack I use the Windows Firewall and Avira AntiVirus About a month and a half to two months back my computer began periodically freezing up not BSOD but just freezing and Ctrl Alt Del would not still does not work to shut it off so I have to hardboot with the button it to shut it off This would does happen repeatedly every night while on the internet however never during an online game session only while surfing the Internet Installed/Email hard Firewall (nonBSOD) Up Computer install Internet self was Program AntiVirus/New C... boot/Cannot or Locks need Not long after that my yahoo email was compromised where I started receiving email back from my contacts saying they think I had a virus because I had sent a blank message with a link to some drug site but there was nothing in my sent folder After this happened I removed all my contacts from my address book so this wouldn t happen again and changed my password to my email account I checked my Avira for updates and do a scan which I do weekly manually figuring I may have a Internet Locks Up Computer (nonBSOD) need hard boot/Cannot install Firewall or AntiVirus/New Program self Installed/Email was C... virus and realized that despite this being set to automatic start up when I turn on the computer it was disabled and could not be turned back on via the Avira control panel or services tab in the windows control panel I then got a message the file was corrupt so I uninstalled and reinstalled it after hours of trying because my computer Internet Locks Up Computer (nonBSOD) need hard boot/Cannot install Firewall or AntiVirus/New Program self Installed/Email was C... would lock and it would freeze mid way through the Internet Locks Up Computer (nonBSOD) need hard boot/Cannot install Firewall or AntiVirus/New Program self Installed/Email was C... scan and lock up While trying to look up the problems I was am having on line I was still getting the non-BSOD freezing issue and having to hard boot It was suggested to me that I stop using Internet Explorer and switch to Google Chrome which was fine for about three days now I have the same issue with Chrome So I thought maybe try to get a different firewall since I have never once received a pop up message or warning maybe it isn t working Well my computer won t let me download or install any other firewall program I have been able to download and save the files to desktop while in safe mode with networking but they refuse to be installed My non-techie husband has since tried to use some tools SuperAntiSpyware Malwarebytes Spybot Search and Destroy and no spyware is picked up but these can only be run in safe mode while unplugged from the internet or they freeze mid scan also We were able to get CC Cleaner installed but it also freezes through the scan so is useless I still cannot download any type of new anti-virus or firewall software and my computer is still periodically locking up where I have to hard boot Most recently a new program installed itself on my computer that I did not ask for Windows PowerShell I have no idea what it is or where it came from but I have automatic updates turned off so nothing should be downloading itself Also getting second by second strange errors and information updates in the Event Log Applications is giving LoadPerf Event System VSS MSDTC and security center notifications and System is giving DCOM Service Control Manager Event Log Dhcp Tcpip and IPses errors and notifications My security viewer is full of Users logon logoff and system event and account logon when I m already on the computer Please advise I think there is a bad virus and the constant freezing of my computer while online is driving me mad TY for any advice Ann

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/368690/internet-locks-up-computer-nonbsod-need-hard-bootcannot-install-firewall-or-antivirusnew-program-self-installedemail-was-compromised-virus/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hey guys I am boot Windows Windows dual 8 Black up. 8 installed, Screen! boot won't having an issue when installing the consumer preview So I downloaded the W iso off of Microsoft's site I burned it to a Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! DVD with GB free of storage I even bought a new set of DVDs Anyways I downloaded the iso I downloaded the USB DVD download tool there I burned my iso to the DVD So I then create a partition on my computer I gave the new partition GB of storage I rebooted my computer pressed F and access the burned DVD So I click custom installation and I install the new OS onto the partition with GB I named it the partition Windows so I wouldn't get confused I clicked it and installed Windows onto it Anyways once it extracts the data and installs all Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! the Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! updates my computer screen goes black for a few seconds Then it load's the fish icon and then goes black It loads nothing and it just stays there I have tried using the startup repair and it cannot fix it I decided to reinstall the OS but format the partition and then install It does the same exact thing Anyways how do I get rid of the black screen Windows won't boot up I allowed a dual boot by the way so I still have windows but I really want to try Windows I followed this guide if anyone was wondering

A:Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen!

I'm having similar issues with Vista and W8. I put W8 on an empty and freshly created partition.
I can get W8 to run but then on every restart or reboot I can not get back to Vista from the "blue dual boot screen". I select Vista as the OS, the laptop goes to the Acer splash screen and then the screen goes black and the HDD light goes off completely. And that's it. Have to do a forced shutdown holding power button and then on next reboot it will go to Vista.
Fortunately I have full Acronis disk images so I can just revert back to before all this but like you I really want to try W8.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/4556-windows-8-dual-boot-installed-windows-8-wont-boot-up-black-screen.html
Relevancy 52.89%

this is what I did since I have no CD-ROM to install Win I created a partion X NTFS and set it as the ACTIVE ONE the put there the Windows installation files and opened prompt command to type bootsect exe n X next I restarted my computer and automatically it booted into the Windows setup partitiion Windows installed or files in manager boot boot wrong I installed Windows on the partition C Windows boot files or boot manager installed in wrong partitiion and formatted the partition C everything installed and after the installation finished a multiple choice menu appears that reads Windows Windows boot files or boot manager installed in wrong partitiion Windows Setup I believe my error was not to set partition C back as the active one during the installation process where it asks you in which partition to install I just formatted C but forgot to set it as the ACTIVE ONE I have partition in total but there is no need to put them all just the ones that are involved this is how my partitions look Cboot page file crash dump primary partition XSystem Active Primary partition lt lt lt this one became hidden Code Windows Boot Manager -------------------- identifier bootmgr device device partition Device HarddiskVolume description Windows Boot Manager locale en-US inherit globalsettings integrityservices Enable default current resumeobject d e - - e -b f -efb b a displayorder current dcc -fafe- d -b - eba f toolsdisplayorder memdiag timeout Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier current device partition C path Windows system winload exe description Windows locale en-US inherit bootloadersettings recoverysequence d e - - e -b f -efb b a integrityservices Enable recoveryenabled Yes allowedinmemorysettings x osdevice partition C systemroot Windows resumeobject d e - - e -b f -efb b a nx OptIn bootmenupolicy Standard Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier dcc -fafe- d -b - eba f device ramdisk boot sources boot wim dcc -fafe- d -b - eba f path windows system boot winload exe description Windows Setup locale en-US inherit bootloadersettings osdevice ramdisk boot sources boot wim dcc -fafe- d -b - eba f systemroot windows bootmenupolicy Standard detecthal Yes winpe Yes ems No what I want is to make the X partition a worthless partition just containing the Windows installation files and that everything looks like if I installed from a CD-ROM rather than from a partition please tell in BCDEDIT commands does that mean I have to move the boot files or boot manager into C I also would like to remove the multiple choice screen but more important is to make X partition a worthless partition

A:Windows boot files or boot manager installed in wrong partitiion

Please post back a screenshot of your maximized Disk Management drive map and listings:

1. Type Disk Management in Start Search box.
2. Open Disk Mgmt. window and maximize it.
3. Type Snipping Tool in Start Search box.
4. Open Snipping Tool, choose Rectangular Snip, click New, draw a box around full drive map and all listings.
5, Save Snip, attach using paper clip in Reply Box.

Tell us what is on each partition.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/270703-windows-boot-files-boot-manager-installed-wrong-partitiion.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi.

I accidently installed grub onto the seven boot partition. I can't boot into seven. It loads the ubuntu select os screen, I select WIndows 7 (Loader), and it justs goes back to the ubuntu select os.

Please can someone help?

I still have windows 7 installed, and I have full access to ubuntu.

A:Accidently installed grub onto windows 7 boot partiton. Unable to boot

To Remove Linux take look at this post:
Error 0xc0000225 on boot

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/208957-accidently-installed-grub-onto-windows-7-boot-partiton-unable-boot.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Windows help infers that restore point is automatically created before I install a new program. Is this true?

A:Does Windows make a restore point before a program is installed?

Simple answer, yes it does.
I find it best to make one of my own, when I remember, as I have found in some cases a point is not made. Although it is rare that a point is not made

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/122840-does-windows-make-restore-point-before-program-installed.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I don't use Skype. I uninstalled it. Windows Update keeps sending updates and marking them as 'important.' If I run the update I find I need to uninstall the program again.

I'd like reassurance that I can safely ignore these updates.

It makes sense to me, but software has gotten complex enough that I want to be sure that this update only updates Skype for Windows and that failure to implement it does not leave a gaping hole in Windows 7.

thanks

baumgrenze

A:Skype For Windows - Program Not Installed - Important Update?

If you change windows update settings as shown below then in theory you will not be offered skype. If you prevoiusly had skype installed and are still offered updates then I guess that skype wasn't fully removed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/402722-skype-windows-program-not-installed-important-update.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello, sorry if this was posted already!

Is there any program that automatically looks for and updates for example your hard drive drivers, mouse drivers, chipset drivers etc to the latest version?

I know for sure that Windows Update doesn't do this, and manually checking through device manager always states that windows has the latest drivers available....from 2005.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/400676-any-program-freshly-installed-windows-7-updates-hw-drivers.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi,

I've got a CAD program called 3D Canvas 7 - I've used it in the past but recently when I try to run the program it refuses to start and I get the error message:-

3D Canvas requires that Microsoft Windows Script be installed

As far as I can see Windows Script is installed as part of Windows 7 ?

I tried a fresh install of the very latest version of the above program which is 3D Crafter 9 (really a new program) - but again got the same result.

The only real change to my computer recently is a utility called TuneUp Utilities 2012 - I can't see any indication that it has de-activated the script - but I could be wrong of course.

I've tried a lot of internet searches on Windows 7 Script problems without luck.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Regards
Paul

A:Error Msg:-Program requires that Microsoft Windows Script be installed

Quote: Originally Posted by rd84

Hi,

I've got a CAD program called 3D Canvas 7 - I've used it in the past but recently when I try to run the program it refuses to start and I get the error message:-

3D Canvas requires that Microsoft Windows Script be installed

As far as I can see Windows Script is installed as part of Windows 7 ?

I tried a fresh install of the very latest version of the above program which is 3D Crafter 9 (really a new program) - but again got the same result.

The only real change to my computer recently is a utility called TuneUp Utilities 2012 - I can't see any indication that it has de-activated the script - but I could be wrong of course.

I've tried a lot of internet searches on Windows 7 Script problems without luck.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Regards
Paul

If the problem started after installing TuneUp Utilities, I suggest you try uninstalling it and test the results. I generally don't recommend 3rd party utilities such as this one because they are mostly nothing more than snake oil and have been know to cause more problems than they cure.

HTH

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/259524-error-msg-program-requires-microsoft-windows-script-installed.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi everyone,

I'm currently running BitDefender 9 but it is going to expire in a few days time so I was after the new version. I downloaded the trial from the BitDefender website but when I tried to install it, I was told I needed to uninstall my current version.

I went to Add/Remove programs like usual but for some reason BitDefender is not listed. I went to BitDefender in programs and clicked 'modify, repair or uninstall' and it tells me 'this action is only valid for products that are currently installed'.

I have no idea how I'm meant to uninstall BitDefender 9 since it is not listed! The program is clearly running and installed so I have no idea why it would not be shown as a currently installed program!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A:Installed Program Not Listed Under Installed Programs

See if this http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/co...nted-programs/ will help, scroll down to the section What to do if the program isn?t listed in the ?Add/Remove Programs? list.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/installed-program-not-listed-under-installed-programs-122296.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi all, I have Win7x64 and was checking the list of installed programs and seen two entries of CVE-2012-4792.. Then I typed that into google and a lot of technical garble came back, but no CVE for dummies like I was looking for.

Am I infected??
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/public/style_extra/post_icons/icon14.gif
Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/481306/a-program-installed-is-installed-cve-2012-4792/
Relevancy 49.88%

I have a program that wanted to install in a document folder

I have installed it in Program Files, but it requires elevation or it produces errors when running. I know I can tick the Run As ... box in the shortcut, but is there a better way, such as taking ownership of the install folder?

A:Program installed in Program Files requires elevation?

You could try using this tutorial to see if it helps with this program.
Elevated Program Shortcut - Create for Standard User

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/293193-program-installed-program-files-requires-elevation.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I installed a new motherboard for my Windows 7 Home Premium system and was surprised to find Windows won't boot now. I tried repair option from the install disc but didn't help. I tried the in place upgrade but after selecting the Install now option I end up with a message that the system was booted from the install disc and I need to start Windows normally and then insert the install disc again which of course won't work when Windows can't boot.

I made a new install on a test hard drive to check my motherboard and it is working fine. What can I do? I would like to boot on my regular drive with all my data and programs and not have to go through the long process of finding and installing everything anew.

A:Windows won't boot after new MB installed

RFHarris, Welcome to SF. Sometimes you get lucky with this process sometimes you don't but read the attached article for some help. I like to clean install but I always back up my data and keep all my software ready, but it is a much longer process but one I prefer.
Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/162101-windows-wont-boot-after-new-mb-installed.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I used a program to make a USB bootable drive and installed xp off it, now it wont start on its own the usb bootable drive has "debug boot rdisk 1 partition 1-4" when I use partition 3 it starts fine, I checked that file out all it is is a boot.ini file with multi boot options, I tried to change the windows boot.ini file to somthing that I thought was correct , disk0 and partition 3 and rdisk 0 with multi set to 0, am I doing anything wrong?

In disk management it shows up as 0 and I'm using IDE mode in bios thanks!

The error I get when I try to boot up just using the hdd is "windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware config problem"
Could not read from the seleted boot disk. check boot path and disk hardware.

A:Windows XP installed from USB, won't boot on its own

I'm not sure if this will help your situation, but in your BIOS, do you have the Hard drive selected as the First bootable device?

If not, try setting it to before the USB/CD/Floppy and see if it will allow you to boot.

Other then this the only thing I could suggest is to reload with a disc..

With your boot.ini file do you have this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

*Note that instead of Professional you could also have Home..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-installed-from-usb-wont-boot-on-its-own.181666/
Relevancy 49.45%

I m not sure whether this is a hardware issue or a software Windows and Installed now boot? new PSU won't Windows issue Okay I just installed a Corsair HX which is rated Silver which is apparently Installed new PSU and now Windows won't boot? a good thing I know this thing is more powerful than my previous W power supply Would changing the PSU effect Windows in any way I m more than sure everything is plugged in and tight I ve tried numerous times and whenever I boot up my computer it goes through the BIOS screen and then it goes to quot Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device quot The thing is Windows is already properly installed on one of the hard drives I have two SATA hard drives My computer was working perfectly fine with the other PSU but with this new one Windows will simply not boot I may try to reinstall Windows but can a new PSU really make it so you can t boot into Windows Also I checked my BIOS and everything is being recognized From the hard drives to the DVD drives I have two My specs are AMD Phenom II Quad Core GHz x GB SATA HDD Windows Ultimate New Corsair HX PSU Nvidia GeForce GT GB RAM nbsp

Relevancy 49.02%

Hello All I have Windows Dual installation Windows Boot already 7 installed 2003 in Windows Server Laptop on Ultimate -Bit Edition installed and working fine on the following laptop HP-Dv -Bit Core Duo GB RAM Nvidia Graphics Card It is the Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop only operating system I have two partitions in the laptop harddisk Windows Ultimate is obviously installed on the first partition C I have D almost empty and I can shrink or expand it based on the requirements Now I want to install Windows SR SP Server on the same laptop in Dual Boot Configuration I have read that installing a Windows Xp family operating system on a machine after intallation of Windows Vista family operating system corrupts the boot sector and makes Windows unbootable since both have different operating system files I know i should have installed Windows first and then Windows to ensure a hassle free Windows dual boot system However I want now to save the hassle and do the other Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop way around Can anyone guide me with exact steps or to any other working guide which can ensure that both operating systems would live in harmony in the Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop scenario i have described Maybe someone with a similar experience can share the precautions and consequences Thanks for reading and helping in advance Regards

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-2003-server-installation-in-dual-boot-on-already-installed-windows-7-laptop-432998.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello All Windows Laptop Boot on 2003 Server in installed installation Dual already Windows 7 I have Windows Ultimate -Bit Edition installed and working fine Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop on the following laptop HP-Dv -Bit Core Duo GB RAM Nvidia Graphics Card It is the only operating system I have two partitions in the laptop harddisk Windows Ultimate is obviously installed on the first partition C I have D almost empty and I can shrink or expand it based on the requirements Now I want to install Windows SR SP Server on the same laptop in Dual Boot Configuration I have read that installing a Windows Xp family operating system on a machine after intallation of Windows Vista family operating system corrupts the boot sector and makes Windows unbootable since both have different operating system files I know i should have installed Windows first and then Windows to ensure a hassle free Windows dual boot system However I want now to save the hassle and do the other way around Can anyone guide me with exact steps or to any other working guide which can ensure that both operating systems would live in harmony in the scenario i have described Maybe someone with a similar experience can share the precautions and consequences Thanks for reading and helping in advance Regards nbsp

A:Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop

Couple of things you can do after installing 2003.

Boot from the W7 dvd select repair my computer and do a startup repair, most of the time this fixes the bootloader for W7, but then 2003 may not boot now. So then you need to install a BCD editor software in W7 to get both of them booting properly.

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

If startup repair does not get W7 booting again, there are some commands you can do from the W7 recovery environment to get the job done, (boot from the W7 cd, select repair my computer, then command prompt)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2003-server-installation-in-dual-boot-on-already-installed-windows-7-laptop.878387/
Relevancy 49.02%

I have a new laptop pre-installed with Windows 10 on a primary m.2 disk.
It also has an HDD that I divided into partitions.

Now I have an old laptop that has Windows 7 that holds programs and files that I left behind. I want those programs accessible in a Windows 7 environment. Therefore, I cloned my Windows 7 to a spare partition on my laptop's HDD. Right now, I have Windows 10 on primary SSD and cloned Windows 7 on a partition of secondary HDD.

However, the problem is that, while the disk cloning process went successfully, it's not bootable. So my question is: how do I make the disk with Windows 7 bootable?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/57645-dual-boot-setup-pre-installed-windows-10-cloned-windows-7dows.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I need to run a Carestream driver for RVG 6500, a dental imaging sensor, and install an intra-oral camera by Runyes. I am currently using Windows 8.1 that came pre-installed on my HP Ultrabook, and even though I like the operating system, it does not install the applications I mentioned above

I would really appreciate if someone could help me resolve this issue.

Things I have Already Tried in Vain
PC Settings>Updates and Recovery>Recovery>Advanced Startup>Advanced Settings>Enable Unsigned DriversOracle Virtual Machine: The wireless network adapter for the RVG 6500 system cannot be configured in the virtual machine as it fails to provide the appropriate network driversDual boot with Windows Vista: Fails to read the hard drive for installation and does not install on portable drive

A:Dual Boot on pre-installed windows 8

Look at this thread. It's short and I think it'll give you the info you need.

Dual Booting Windows 7 with Windows 8 Pre-Installed UEFI

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/35179-dual-boot-pre-installed-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Earlier I installed DirectX on my computer Running WinXP on an AMD About mb mem gig processor something around there After I had installed DIrectX it asked me to reboot to complete installation No big deal I reboot and after the Windows load screen I get the blue screen that tells me there is a System Registry Error It flashes up for literally seconds so I m having a boot 9.0 DirectX Installed and cant Windows now hard Installed DirectX 9.0 and now cant boot Windows time getting the error code Okay the code is c It then says quot Beginning dump of physical memory quot in the next paragraph Any Installed DirectX 9.0 and now cant boot Windows help is much appreciated If you guys need more info I will do my best to provide it Thanks edit - Oh yeah When I reboot it asks me to log into one of the safe modes previous known settings or start windows normally When I try to do any of the safe modes safe mode networking command prompt it starts listing off drivers or something pauses for a few minutes and then reboots the cpu Ah nbsp

A:Installed DirectX 9.0 and now cant boot Windows

I did some reading on the error I'm getting:

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_stop.htm

So I do as the directions say. I put in my Win XP cd, and after the BIOS it says 'click any key to boot from CD'. So I press a key. Then it says it is detecting my hardware configuration, and goes into the Windows Setup screen (which is blue, obviously). Then it freezes. Just sits there.

What can I do? Is there any way to save my computer?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installed-directx-9-0-and-now-cant-boot-windows.487995/
Relevancy 48.59%

I have a custom built system. windows 7 installed but it will not start up in this system. A friend put the hard drive into his system and Windows started up fine on his. I ran the memory check on windows and it never said that there were problems but you have to be able to get into windows to see the report so i can't be totally sure. The motherboard was sent back and checked by the mfg. and i doubt that the processor could be bad if it was able to install windows 7 onto the hard drive. My friend thinks it is a hardware issue, but i am conviced that it is some type of configuration issue. any advice or guidance would be grealty appreciated i have had this expensive paperweight sitting around for months and months because i am not very well versed in this field.

A:Windows 7 installed but will not boot on my system

Will the HD Drive show in BIOS?

Take a look at this posts:
Windows 7 Installation Errors : Troubleshoot Step by Step

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/202106-windows-7-installed-but-will-not-boot-my-system.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I screwed up. I have a 2 HD system. Windows 7 is on HD #2 in F: partition. Installed Ubuntu into empty C: partition on HD #1. Can't boot into Windows on HD #2. Probably overwrote the MBR? To boot into Ubuntu on HD #1 I changed the order of the HDs in the BIOS.

I tried the Windows 7 Repair Disc, but it wants to add a couple of startup options, both of which have the line "Windows Device: Partition = C (439999MB)." C: is not the windows device.

How do I get out of this predicament? I'm assuming there's some utility I can run from the DVD drive. I thought about EasyBCD but was told I had to run it from Windows.

A:Installed Linux - Can't boot into Windows

When you start Windows with the installation media, select Repair. Then get to a command prompt. When you're in the command prompt type bootrec /FixMBR

You can also try bootrec /ScanOS to make sure that your OS is still listed

Bcdedit.exe is used to set the default boot configuration

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installed-linux-cant-boot-into-windows.1065249/
Relevancy 48.59%

I'm hoping someone can help me with a boot issue on my Windows 7 Professional desktop computer.

I want to encrypt the Windows partition with True-crypt but I have several hard disks and somewhere along the line the boot-file (is it BCD?) has been put on a different hard disk. I can find out what disk by looking in the BIOS to see what drive boots first but other than that I don't know what to do or how to (if required) edit the file.

Any help much appreciated.

A:Windows does not boot from the drive it is installed on.

Can you give us a screen snip of disk management ?

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/299292-windows-does-not-boot-drive-installed.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I have and dual boot 1st How can installed) Windows 7 I have (8.1 8.1 already How can I have Windows 7 and 8.1 dual boot (8.1 1st installed) seen steps to do this on this forum when Windows is on the machine first but this does not fit my situation as I will soon convert my Windows to Windows because I don't want it to be OEM any more so I can transfer my whole system over to a new pc in the future via image backup I also have a full version of Windows Once I upgrade OEM Windows to Windows how can I used the full version of Windows to create a dual boot Is upgrading Windows to Windows likely to cause any problems According to the test program the only issue is Skyrim won't work any more And I saw online a Windows driver for my printer PS I would want both operating systems to be on their own separate partition FURTHER INFORMATION THAT MAY BE OF INTEREST I tried upgrading Windows OEM to Windows full version but it did not work so I reverted to my image backup to make my pc same as it was before So instead I am wanting a dual boot with Windows and Thanks for reading my post

A:How can I have Windows 7 and 8.1 dual boot (8.1 1st installed)

Hello and welcome winuserd have a look at this Dual Boot Installation - Windows 8 and Windows 7 or Vista it might give you an idea on what to do.
It is from the 8 forum's site (a sister site to this one) - might be an idea to join up to that as well I did and I upgraded my main laptop and the Sandy Bridge from 7 to 8 then 8.1 with just an upgrade disk (the 8.1 was a free download).

Having said that I have both the 8's running in 7 mode (look) using Classic Shell as I prefer the desktop look but they are certainly faster than my other 7 machines.

PS I forgot to say I cloned the 7 to new drives before I upgraded so that I can flip the old drive back in if things go south.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/323869-how-can-i-have-windows-7-8-1-dual-boot-8-1-1st-installed.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I have been having nothing but trouble with my girlfriend s new computer installed? a with cd Windows drive won't boot meaning it was my old computer of course I never had problems with it when it was mine I should have known better than to give her an AOpen formerly ACER cd drive but it was what I had so in it went My problem is that windows will not boot from hd with any cd rive of any brand I tried Windows won't boot with a cd drive installed? three the Aopen is broken on any IDE channel primary or secondary no matter if it is keyed as master or slave Is Windows won't boot with a cd drive installed? this an IRQ problem in the bios Before switching the cd drives out I would press the eject button on the cd drive and then the video card would kick in and the login screen would show up but I couldn t get the cd to actually eject I think the motherboard uses pheonix bios The system is an MSI k N -G board with an athlon and a gigabyte of Windows won't boot with a cd drive installed? ddr samsung RAM a radeon pro and a wd hard drive Anyway what is going on here Any clues This crap is driving me CRAAAAAZY Chris nbsp

A:Windows won't boot with a cd drive installed?

This sounds like a fun one...at least from a few hundred miles away.

Can you clarify a few things?

1.) The HD is currently set to master. Correct?
2.) Does the CD Drive show in the BIOS?
3.) Can you boot using a bootable CD? (W2k or WinXP)
4.) Can you boot into safe mode with the CD-Rom present?

(BTW...if you're unable to ever open the CD-Rom...most CD-Roms have an emergency eject (a little pinhole on the front) that you can stick a paperclip in to manually eject.)

I don't think this is an IRQ issue...,but we'll see...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-wont-boot-with-a-cd-drive-installed.416251/
Relevancy 48.59%

Recently installed Ubuntu to a dynamic partition I made before installing. It was separated from the main Windows partition.

Now, when I select Windows 7 from the GRUB menu, it goes about a quarter of the way through the boot animation before freezing and rebooting the computer.

Help?

A:Installed Ubuntu, can't boot Windows 7

Give me your system info and specs. Have you had any other problems with the computer? Is it even a desktop? We're going to need more information. "I broke something, fix it!" doesn't get you closer to the fix.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/installed-ubuntu-cant-boot-windows-7-a-639535.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Into windows 7 now, it says windows 7 is compressed or something.
So i gotta get back the windows 7 boot loader? I tried but when i put the disk in it loads and where its suppose to ask where you have windows 7 installed, nothing gets showed there. It's just blank.
Any help?

A:Installed Ubuntu 9.10 after windows 7 and Can't boot-

Hello RileyRandom,
When booting from the install dvd, are you able to reach the "System recovery Options" window which has the "Load Drivers" button at the bottom? If yes, then click on "Load Drivers" and use the mini Explorer to right-click on the boot-drive and deselect "Compress this Drive" and choose Apply to sub-folders and files. Then close all windows and reboot.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/73376-installed-ubuntu-9-10-after-windows-7-cant-boot.html
Relevancy 48.59%

hi all

i just installed a new motherboard and cpu and cant boot my primary windows drive because windows (7 64bit) is trying to boot with the old mobo drivers. i have reinstalled windows (7 32bit, i lost my 64bit dvd) on a secondary drive. is there a way to get rid of the old mobo drivers and install my new ones? there is nothing in the manual about it and i cant find a solution searching google

any help would be greatly appreciated as always

A:installed new mobo and cant boot windows

Did you try tapping F8 on boot and starting in safe mode?
You can try a startup repair but would probably still need the 64bit disk.

IF this is a OEM disk then it's license is tied to the original motherboard it was installed on and the install may not pass activation, a upgrade disk would take the license from the OS that was upgraded and of course a full retail can moved and reused in this case.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/installed-new-mobo-and-cant-boot-windows-699134.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Problem:

I installed windows seven and it boots up automatically without giving me the option to boot into my old vista partition.

Background:

I am sure this is something simple, but I can't get it working.
I had vista installed and I used partition magic to repartition my hard drive on my laptop.
I made the new partition come before my old partition, because I wanted windows 7 to be my primary eventually.

I think it may have someting to do with making the vista partition active, but I am notentirely sure how to do that, so if you can help me out i would really appreciate it, Thanks!

A:Installed windows seven, Now can't boot to vista.

Ok, so I did the commands in this post, except I changed the "XP" to "Vista" and it shows vista but it will not boot, it says I need to insert my vista disk..

Do I need to do that? Or is there something wrong in those commands?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/10378-installed-windows-seven-now-cant-boot-vista.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I have a Sony Vaio VPCEB C E Sony VPCEB C E updates Download updates for VPCEB C E It had Windows home premium x on it and installed xp W7 Windows first. with 7 dual boot Cannot but the hard drive went bust and I Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first. lost everything I own a Windows professional x cd and license which I used as my laptop did not come with cds I would like to play some old games which do not run correctly in quot xp mode quot Anyway back on track a week ago I attempted to dual boot it using the excellent tutorial on this forum everything went fine it rebooted Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first. and booted into xp x I have slipstreamed my SATA driver and net framework x everything was looking up I tried to install easybcd but it needed net framework my VAIO is capable of running xp because at the Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first. above link it gives me the correct SATA driver and a utility to create a cd with the correct drivers for my software at this point I had no internet so I shut down the laptop and ran easybcd from windows I ran easybcd v and foolowed the guide once done I moved a few files across to the windows xp partition drivers mainly I had not spare cds so I used total mounter to mount a virtual RW cd drive I then rebooted the computer and selected Windows XP from the boot menu and it complained about ntoskrnl exe being invalid I sorted this out and since then it has suffered from a BSOD B I have wiped the data on it and installed xp but it would move the files onto the disk and and reboot into the BSOD To get rid of this I had to change the boot drive in W from the system reserved partition to my main C drive i then deleted the system reserved partition and now it will boot into win and complete the installation of xp but once the laptop reboots after installation to boot xp for the first time I am met with a BSOD again B I am literally stuck I have searched and searched for answers to this problem I have tried many things but they all end in that BSOD after installation I know I have the correct driver because it worked the very first time I have tried burning a second copy of the xp installation but there is no difference If I select safe mode is BSOD's at acpitabl dat my research has told me that it is due to an incorrect driver which cannot be the case because it has worked before I have a feeling it is something to do with easybcd Is there an easy way to undo what it has done Since I ran easybcd xp BSOD's I have read about putting sata into IDE compatibility mode in the bios I cannot do that my current bios R Y does on give my the option to As I say this has been happening for a week i have searched using google and read many pages but not found a solution It would be great if someone could say quot run cmd and type 'boot xp damn you quot quot but that said it wasn't a recognised command how apt

A:Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first.

Did you have a look at Option 2 here: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/265202-cannot-dual-boot-xp-windows-7-w7-installed-first.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit installed on my SATA 1TB HDD. I also have an IDE 250GB HDD onto which I've installed Windows XP Professional 32-bit. Using DualBootPro,I was able to get Windows 7 to boot correctly, however XP now gives me the error:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

I have Googled the heck out of this problem and tried a number of fixes that have not worked:

I tried replacing the hal.dll file with the one from the XP install disc.
I tried rebuilding the boot.ini file.
I tried adding Windows XP boot info to the windows 7 bootloader.

My bcdedit output in command prompt can be viewed on the Untitled-1.jpg attached.

I am fairly experienced in dealing with some of this stuff but I'm stumped. Please help!

A:Dual boot XP with windows 7 already installed

Hello, welcome!
It is unlikely you are really missing hal.dll. What is most likely happening is that XP is looking at the wrong place to boot from. You were on the right track rebuilding the boot.ini file, but perhaps you need to go farther. The fact that you are getting that message means nothing is wrong with the MBR.
What you need to do it manually edit your boot.ini file. Rembember that the drive/partition numbering starts at 0. I have attached a sample boot.ini file for you to look at. Your problem is probably the drive number.
boot.ini.txt

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/46424-dual-boot-xp-windows-7-already-installed.html
Relevancy 48.59%

My situation is usually the opposite of what I've found online. I upgraded to Win 10 and I'm quite comfortable with it, the problem is that a critical application for my job does not work with this platform. As I have space, my preferred option is to dual boot with Win 10 and Win 8.1 on the system. Please guide me on how to go ahead with this endeavor.This is quite an urgent requirement so I'd appreciate help.

A:Dual boot Windows 10 and Win 8.1 with Win 10 installed

The M$ article:http://tinyurl.com/p79786jand another approach..http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how...If wishing to play or otherwise with win-10 I would be inclined to do on its own computer, or go the dual boot path.And... if dual booting... first ensure "all" data is safely duplicated/copied elsewhere - typically DVD, but an external hard drive (or NAS) too is nice(r) - just in-case...

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-10/dual-boot-windows-10-and-win-81-with-win-10-installed/144.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I have my cousins boot installed. Windows into won't after Computer computer that I replaced the Motherboard in and the HD She has a Pavillion Elite that s a little over a yr old I re-installed Win bit Then I installed Computer won't boot into Windows after installed. avg free version java Word Perfect pro Roxio Creator Pro Then replaced all her documents from the old drive She came for it and took it home last night She called today and brought it back saying she couldn t get it into windows I tried to do the windows repair on startup Got message unable to repair automatically The list of problems are as follows--- same as above unknown AutoFailover Bad Disk Then I ran the Windows Restore and tried different points Got this message Details failed to extract D Etevd RmMetadata Txf from the restore point Unspecified error during SR ox I tried once more and this time got the BSOD The only other thing that installed was about windows updates Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated I don t want to have to start all over I also ran the memory test x and it came back with no problems both times nbsp

Relevancy 48.59%

I Installed some optional windows updates one of which was Logitech and after the updates were installed and it automatically restarted I got a DISK BOOT FAILURE windows updates now Installed boot - won't INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER Installed windows updates - won't boot now so I put the windows CD in and then as it was loading windows files it Errored out with Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer Status xc e This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing Now I have tried unplugging everything USB and even only had DVD drive and SSD plugged in and I still get the error However Bios sees both of my DVD drives my TB and my gb SSD just fine and I get into them and see Installed windows updates - won't boot now partitions with gparted and everything so I really doubt there is anything wrong with my drives especially since this happened IMMEDIATELY after restarting after windows updates what do I do from here

A:Installed windows updates - won't boot now

Hello, welcome to SF!

Try a system restore: System Restore

See if that solves the problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/150186-installed-windows-updates-wont-boot-now.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Well Im slapping myself on the head, I installed Acronis True Image Home 11 on my machine today and on reboot it now seems to be hanging on the Preparing Automatic Repair screen, nothing seems to be happening, just hangs on this screen for ages.......

troubleshooting steps so far as follows.......

tried automatic repair but fails on windows 8 bootup cd via repair
tried

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /scanos
bootrec /rebuildbcd

with no result, the error seems to be pretty early on during the boot process, I can see the windows 8 flag for a split second then it just reboots, second time it reboots it fires into the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen and seems to just hang there.

my spec is as follows.

Gigabyte Z77-D3H
3TB Main OS Drive
128GB SSD *in RAID mode with OS drive for acceleration use via Intel Smart Response Technology and Rapid Start enabled.
8GB Ram
i7 2600k CPU

Relevancy 48.59%

Hi everybody I have a problem and I searced many site for solution I have 7 after Windows Ubuntu can't boot installed a pc originally Window installed I install ubuntu to different partition When Windows 7 can't boot after Ubuntu installed computer start up Grup is loaded normally in Grup menu There is Windows Recovery and Windows loader Windows Recovery works fine but Windows loader does not work When I chose them a blank page appears then return grup menu I try to fix MBR by using Windows Recovery DVD on cmd But Windows still cannot boot By the way on recovery option My Windows is shown like that quot Windows Professionel E quot I am sure that My System Drive is C letter There is partition on ubuntu about Windows sda is about Windows Recovery Totaly size gb sda is about What I don't now t is called System Reserved Totaly size abourt Mb sda is about Windows There is no description or Label for it Totaly size gb Can Somebody Help me Please

A:Windows 7 can't boot after Ubuntu installed

Information
We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Media Creator app the first day you had your new PC.
& made the Startup Repair CD.
startup repair disc-create

Did you make the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks?

To Remove Linux take look at this post:
Error 0xc0000225 on boot

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/221047-windows-7-cant-boot-after-ubuntu-installed.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi My installation was FAILED i have windows xp bit pre-installed in C drive I was trying to install DUAL BOOT xp with Windows in D drive NTFS using ISO image file of Windows bit ultimate present in my HHD i mounted the ISO file of windows with the help of Virtual drive The installation started normally but in the FINAL step Finalizing installation when system restarts to perform configuration etc but instead (pre 64 bit Windows 32 7 dual with boot Xp bit installed) of that i got message quot Failed to install windows and rolling back changes quot Important NOTE Using virtual dvd rom i mounted and install dual boot Windows 7 64 bit with (pre installed) Xp 32 bit Windows quot bit quot all right There was NO problem at all of dual booting windows xp bit and windows bit on the same hard disk on different drives so my question is Windows bit cant be dual boot with pre loaded Xp bit or tell me how to do it please i got gb ddr ram and i want to run bit dual boot Windows 7 64 bit with (pre installed) Xp 32 bit OS windows to utilize it maximum My system info Dell OptiPlex GX ghz gb ram ATI HD- mb Hard disk space on D Drive is GB

A:dual boot Windows 7 64 bit with (pre installed) Xp 32 bit

One of Brink's great tutorials to get your teeth into: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/175846-dual-boot-windows-7-64-bit-pre-installed-xp-32-bit.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I installed Windows 8 RP on my laptop on another partition but my Windows 7 in C:/ got lost. How do I install it again?

A:HELP! Installed Windows 8 (dual boot) but lost Windows 7 Basic

My dual boot works, Win7Ultimate64 on C and Win8Enterprise64 on D, I just hope you did a system image or back up before installation, not unless you are sure of what you are doing.. Before Win8 installs it will ask you the location where you will have it installed, if Win7 really got lost maybe you mixed up the installation.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/8140-help-installed-windows-8-dual-boot-but-lost-windows-7-basic.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi everyone I m hoping someone can Update Vista! installed, into Windows boot can't now Windows I Automatic help me out Automatic Windows Update installed, now I can't boot into Windows Vista! with this situation I ve scoured the internet for answers but with no luck so far On I replaced some faulty memory in a laptop that I had not used for ages Due to the fact that I had not used the laptop in a while there were many windows updates that needed installing over Due to the system restarting rebooting to install these updates many system restore points were created Unfortunately after installing one automatic update I restarted but was then unable to boot back into Windows Due to installing uninstalling soooo many updates software a fully-functioning restore point that would have been available was no longer available Since then I have tried running startup repair numerous times with no success startup repair recognises that there is any error but does not what it is and also the repair your computer option with a Windows Vista recovery disk neither have repaired the problem Unfortunately I am unable to login to Windows in any shape or form safe mode won t boot either so I am unable to remove this update With Windows XP I know it is possible to view installed updates and uninstall updates via the command prompt in the recovery environment is this possible with Vista I can t seem to find exactly where the update files are stored in the Windows directory somewhere in C windows softwaredistribution and if yes can you view the dates the updates were installed and what command-line would you need to use to uninstall them Sorry for the long-windedness of the post I hope someone can help as I really want to avoid a re-installation of Windows seeing that it was a Windows Update that caused this problem in the first place Thanks Chris nbsp

A:Automatic Windows Update installed, now I can't boot into Windows Vista!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/automatic-windows-update-installed-now-i-cant-boot-into-windows-vista.1044172/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi I have looked all over for info on what will happen if I try to install windows on a new partition for a lenovo laptop that already has windows installed and this does not seem to be a common scenario nbsp TLDR I want to install windows side by side with Windows that is already installed but what I read HERE nbsp made me worried that installing windows on a windows box was not going to on a has windows boot windows dual 7 Installing machine installed that 10 already be the same as installing windows on a windows box I was going to do it from windows by mounting an iso but I could also just do it from a usb boot whatever is Installing windows 7 dual boot on a machine that already has windows 10 installed the easiest nbsp Warning You must install the older operating system first and then install the more recent operating system If you don't for example if you install Windows Vista on a computer already running Windows you can render your system inoperable This can happen because earlier versions of Windows don't recognize the startup files used in more recent versions of Windows and can overwrite them Can anyone advise as to whether or not this is a true danger or if there is a way to get around the problem This is a work machine which is why I want to do this over the weekend because I can't afford to be offline during the week testing this kind of thing nbsp Thanks for the help Luke Reasons for doing this nbsp I am a developer and my new laptop came with Windows I tried in the beginning to get some of the pre-installed bloatware removed with mixed luck tried several different reset scenarios none of them quite did it I manually uninstalled what I could but the machine has never run well despite having reasonably good specs gen i SSD gigs of ram it doesn't run as well as the year old dell of similar specs that it replaced after dying It comes out of sleep slowly and gets bogged down by visual studio and a lot of my other tools I have gone through a lot of tweak guides and disabled unused settings and spent a fair amount of time on nbsp Long story short I have a feeling a fresh install of windows will run fine on this hardware and I really don't want or need any of the features of Windows which I don't hate it just doesn't have any benefits for me especially on my developer machine and I want to install windows to see if it works better nbsp

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f4e7dfe7-60c2-4e76-a362-efab9999a47b/installing-windows-7-dual-boot-on-a-machine-that-already-has-windows-10-installed?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 48.59%

Dual boot XP with windows 7 on 2 Harddrives - (Windows 7 already installed)

I've read that i should install XP first. But I already have windows 7 installed and dont want to wipe that drive clean and reinstall.

Is this possilbe? To add a new sata hard drive and install xp 32bit to an existing PC running Win7 64 bit. With having a boot option at start up?

A:Solved: Dual boot XP with windows 7 on 2 Harddrives - (Windows 7 already installed)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dual-boot-xp-with-windows-7-on-2-harddrives-windows-7-already-installed.902342/
Relevancy 48.59%

How do I do this? I tried following a tutorial in the tutorial section, but the option to delete volume in grayed out.

A:Remove Windows 10 from dual boot with Windows 7, Win10 installed first

It`s grayed out because it`s the Active partition and has the system files on it, if you were to delete it then Windows 7 would not boot anymore.

The Windows 7 partition must be made Active and the System files have to be written there before you can delete Windows 10.

The proper thing to do is backup your files, wipe out the entire drive and reinstall windows 7

Partition - Mark as Active

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/401647-remove-windows-10-dual-boot-windows-7-win10-installed-first.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hey Bleeping Computer How is everyone tonight So I am working on Installed 7 WONT off BOOT LAPTOP disk windows 8 Windows a Samsung Laptop MOdel Number Series NP E C - A AUS My friend in my Math class Windows 8 Installed LAPTOP WONT BOOT off windows 7 disk just bought it literally days ago from Best Buy and they Windows 8 Installed LAPTOP WONT BOOT off windows 7 disk told her they would install Windows 8 Installed LAPTOP WONT BOOT off windows 7 disk any software she needed when she paid for it but when she picked it up they wouldnt without charging her extra so they flat out lied to make a sale Anyways thats besides the point so it has Windows installed and she absolutely hates Windows So I told her I could install Windows for her and all the software she needs thats easy But here is my problem PROBLEM The Samsung Laptop WILL NOT boot from disk it will not boot from any disk I have tried Windows obviously but I have also tried Puppy Linux Parted Magic Mem Soft various other bootable disks that Bleeping Computer has given me over the years I have gone into BIOS and changed the boot priority to CD drive I have messed around with the BIOS trying to get it to boot from a disk and it wont Windows boots up so damn quick I can enter Bios by hitting F at the Samsung splash screen and I can enter BIOS but I can not find a boot menu like hitting F F F F other ones I have used in the past on other machines none of them seem to work I can not get it to boot from disk It looks like I can install windows from the desktop but if it will not boot from Disk then when it restarts during install I am worried about She Hates Windows She does not want Windows at all She doesnt want to take the Laptop back to best buy because she likes the actual laptop she just wants Windows installed I am new to Windows and this is the first time I have used it as well But the laptop Samsung will not boot any disk Do you guys have any advice for me on how to get it to boot from Disk I feel the problem is deeper than just Windows and even if I could install Windows from the Desktop in the future what if for some reason she needed it to Boot from Disk The Laptop is brand new And they didnt have the one she wanted with Windows she said they really talked her into getting windows and SHE HATES IT I dont blame her From what I have seen I am not impressed with Windows either Have you guys heard of not being able to boot from disk with Windows Or is it a Samsung problem My goal is to install windows for her like she asked But its hard without being able to boot from a CD using the CD drive I hope this is in the right forum if it is not I am trully sorry and I will move to the correct forum Thank You Windows is currently installed but we want Windows

A:Windows 8 Installed LAPTOP WONT BOOT off windows 7 disk

Hey just to let you guys know the BIOS is Phoenix SecureCore Tiano. There is a setting called Secure Boot (not sure what it does exactly) but I have not changed it, the only thing I have changed is the Boot Priority menu. If this Laptop wont boot from disk I am going to tell her to return it, and then in the future boycott samsung or any laptop maker that does not give you the option to boot from disk, This does make me angry with the future of computers I am hoping for an easy fix. My poor friend, she is totally computer illiterate(does not know how to install software at all) so I am trying to be a good friend and help her out!!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/473915/windows-8-installed-laptop-wont-boot-off-windows-7-disk/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi I have installed Windows from scratch because of an error in the old installation but this new installation is not running smooth either I have 7 boot New - loooong time Windows installed the old MS-tool quot Bootvis exe quot but it won't run in Windows bit so I don't know how to monitor the boot sequence I have the small program quot Autoruns quot and it shows me hundreds of things but no timing New installed Windows 7 - loooong boot time is attached so I can't find it this way Well here is the facts Windows Ultimate bit installed on a Intel X- M SSD Samsung F Tbyte HDDs Core quard Q Ghz Gb ram Corsair PC X-fi Fata ty gamer extreme Powerpoint HD graphic Gigabyte P DS Intel Gigabit CT netadapter onboard net gives a low performance to from my NAS When booting it stops for nearly seconds after i shows the quot new flag boot quot window I can hear it has little access to one or both HDDs and the HDD-LED is light up but nothing happens I have moved TEMP-files away from C to a folder on one of the HDDs to avoid too much writing on my SSD so maybe it is this it is doing on the HDD The old installation was on the exact same HW and the Windows bit Ultimate DVD was the same The old installation did not have this annoying delay My first idea was that Kaspersky KIS did this but I have tried uninstalling it and this does not change the delay Which tool can I use like the old quot BootVis exe quot in Windows Or is there another way to find this issue Everything in the PC is up to date with drivers So I'm stuck here What can I try next

A:New installed Windows 7 - loooong boot time

Try bootlogging switch... It should log any weird or stuck driver upon load...

zzz2496

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/89715-new-installed-windows-7-loooong-boot-time.html
Relevancy 48.16%

i have installed win 8 but i do not see the new boot menu or the option to boot with 8 at all. my disk look like this:

A:Installed win 8, but no new boot menu or option for Windows 8

Try this:
1) Remove Drive letter from System8 partition:
Drive Letter - Add, Change, or Remove in Windows 7 - Windows 7 Forums

2) Mark System8 partition Inactive:
Partition - Mark as Active - Windows 7 Forums

3) Run Startup Repair:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html
Refresh Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/2794-installed-win-8-but-no-new-boot-menu-option-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 48.16%

hello.,
i am using windows 7 ultimate 32 bit, and when i install windows xp to install some software that is not compatible with windows 7, after i finish installing xp., the boot screen not showing options either ro boot windows 7 or xp, it just goes booting windows xp.... i have some important infos in windows 7... Please help.

A:Windows 7 not appearing in boot screen, but installed

Take a look at Method Two in this tutorial:
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/204520-windows-7-not-appearing-boot-screen-but-installed.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I just installed a new Sony dvd recorder w/ lightscribe in my older (2001) Sony Vaio pc, now Windows XP won't boot. After Windows tries to boot, I end up w/ a black screen and a pointer. The key board connects momentarily and then disconnects. What to do besides trying reinstalling my old dvd drive?

A:Solved: Installed dvd recorder, Windows XP won't boot

Hello all,
It seems no one had an answer to my problem, but luckily, I found the solution. After several attempts to boot my system , I was finally able to get Windows to start from a previous setting. What I failed to mention in my thread is that I installed several other new items, one of which is a USB 2.0 hub. At the suggestion of a co-worker, I went to the device manager to check the devices I had installed, and lo and behold, the USB hub was not functioning properly! The manager told me to remove and re-install the hub to try to fix the problem, I did, and it worked! Apparently a device which is not making proper contact with the mother board can render the system useless. I'm a little surprised the system didn't isolate the problem and post an error message to let me know immediately. Well that's all, thanks for looking. Later

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-installed-dvd-recorder-windows-xp-wont-boot.625895/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello I wanted to install Ubuntu Linux on my laptop Installed Linux w/PartitionMagic and Windows=no boot for a while I finnally decided to Installed Linux w/PartitionMagic and Windows=no boot and so I arranged my disk with Partition Magic to install it It was the biggest error dead I left Gb for the Linux ext ext by Ubuntu install and Mb for the Swap what s that anyway It was recommended I did all I needed for my drive then rebooted windows and set the new Linux partition as active thought I had to do it to install it Ubuntu works well and all but Windows won t start after the boot screen it tries to run chkdisk or something like that and after it shows a dark blue screen with some error on it I can specifiy What do I need to do to set the Windows partition as active and STILL be able to run GRUB I can always reformat I just did it and kept my backup on my parents comp will lose SOME files But since it ll be the rd time in days I don t feel like it EDIT Forgot to mention that I can t see the partition on BartPE and PartitionDiskDoctor does not recognize my partition table and when I try to rebuild it it only finds the Swap partition nbsp

A:Installed Linux w/PartitionMagic and Windows=no boot

jog your memory hard; what was the specific partition magic commands you used
and in what order were they executed ... it matters.

The first thing you NEEDED to do was to reduce the existing partition AND
to create a new one for the Linux with a logical sub-partition for the swap.
btw: SWAP is the area Linux uses just like the windows pagefile...
a place dedicated to virtural memory i/o.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installed-linux-w-partitionmagic-and-windows-no-boot.33422/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi, I got a problem with my ram ever since I installed my new Radeon 6950 card. I can only use 6gb of ram (1 in slot 1, 1 in slot 3 and 1 in slot 4) I can't seem to have all four sticks in at once, and I don't think it's actually the slot itself malfunctioning. Also, the ram is all the same, and worked perfect before the new GFX card, and they are all functioning properly.

This happened instantly after I installed my new card, and hasn't worked since. I have 600w power supply so I don't think it has anything to do with the power supply.

I need some serious help here, because I've been up and down forums all over the internet and can't find a fix. Any help appreciated, thanks.

A:Windows won't boot with 8gb ever since Radeon 6950 was installed

is there any configuration in which ram does work in slot 2 right now?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/199831-windows-wont-boot-8gb-ever-since-radeon-6950-installed.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi I got some weird problem with my PC don't know if it's PSU related or MBO I eliminate GPU Mem and hard drives they are good for sure Problem is when I install any drivers for my gtx and when windows pass that loading screen and it needs to show welcome PC restarts But when I enter safe mode and when Windows nvidia drivers installed boot won't remove that drivers PC boot in normal mode without any trouble but he Windows won't boot when nvidia drivers installed install generic drivers for gpu thats why there are no restarts Here is what I tried I tried other memory other Windows won't boot when nvidia drivers installed slots all kind of combinations with them I tried different GPU gtx Ti I tried disconnect everything except hdd and gpu Tried another sata cable another sata port Clear cmos Increase a little mem voltage to V Tried another PCIE slot And nothing above helped every time when he needs to enter windows to show welcome restart I install now Win fresh but problem occured on win during surfing pc just froze for second and restart and that's it and it keeps restarting before entering welcome screen I personally think something is wrong with MBO but I'm not sure I doubt that PSU fail becouse it's good quality PSU I will borrow PSU from my friend tomorrow and check it out Configuration is CPU i MBO Asus P H MEM x XMS Corsair Mhz GPU GTX POV HDD TB WD Black TB WD Black Gb WD Black PSU Seasonic M II- Bronze Anyone have any idea maybe what that can be

A:Windows won't boot when nvidia drivers installed

It can be the problem of the card itself, so try using another card. If everything works perfect, its ok, else go for clean re-install of windows.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/357617-windows-wont-boot-when-nvidia-drivers-installed.html
Relevancy 48.16%

My system was working fine last week boot with card installed! windows graphic won't until I ve installed an additional SATA HDD windows will boot up until the windows logo after that its all black screen I ve waited for hours for some response to happen but nothing happened I ve reformatted it a few times with the same outcome I ve tried resetting CMOS a lot of times but to no avail But this evening I tried taking out my Graphics card and other peripherals and then windows boot it boots with all other accesories wifi card firewire etc and the new HDD but windows won't boot with graphic card installed! when I try to reinstall the Graphics card it goes back to a black screen after the windows logo is it a case of a busted video card if so then why does it have display I also checked the back of the Graphics card s heatsink and it has this white paste-like goo that has hardened should i clean it and apply new thermal paste i haven t reinstalled the card hope you can help me with this one guys thanks nbsp

Relevancy 48.16%

I have dual opteron 285's now both are exactly the same, I had windows 7 ultimate 64 installed and working with just one cpu, now after installing the other processor windows 7 constantly resets back to the post screen (where you would hit f10 to boot f12 for bios etc). checking the bios shows that both cpus are working, both have 4x512mb dimms making a total of 4gb of system memory. im getting results saying that windows 7 only supports 1 processor with 258 cores or 2 processors total 258 cores, neither is possible so im not sure where to go from there, trying to reinstall windows with both cpus in hangs at the loading part after windows loads files, installing server 2012 also hangs and resets back to post. what is going on?

A:installed second processor in hp xw9300 now windows won't boot

In dual CPU systems both CPUs must be a very close match. Being the same model number is not good enough. All significant specifications must match and they must be designed to operate as a pair. This is often a problem when the CPUs are not purchased at the same time. In some cases the CPUs must be purchased as a matched pair.

The BIOS can only detect that the CPUs are present. It cannot know they are capable of working together.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/367334-installed-second-processor-hp-xw9300-now-windows-wont-boot.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I just installed a new WD 500 GB hard drive into my DELL computer. I am trying to install windows 7 from a dvd but it will not boot. Does anyone know what the problem is. Thank you.

A:Installed new hard drive - Windows 7 won't boot from CD

Quote: Originally Posted by rambo

I just installed a new WD 500 GB hard drive into my DELL computer. I am trying to install windows 7 from a dvd but it will not boot. Does anyone know what the problem is. Thank you.

Hi. It depends on the type of drive it is. IDE or SATA. If IDE, the jumper is set incorrectly.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/41648-installed-new-hard-drive-windows-7-wont-boot-cd.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hii I have some problem regarding Windows and XP dual boot I have first installed Windows in C Drive after that I made more partitions in the remaining space After which I installed Windows XP Pro in F Drive which was successfully installed making Windows Boot Option Obselete while booting I mean to say that when ever I start my system it starts with Windows XP as default without giving any option for Windows After which Issue:Windows First) 7 XP and 7 boot(Win installed dual I made several try to make my Window to Boot but not succeed I have tried The Boot ini file changed manually of F Drive i e of XP as st Try boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows quot noexecute optin fastdetect multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot noexecute optin fastdetect nd Try boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows Issue:Windows 7 and XP dual boot(Win 7 installed First) quot noexecute optin fastdetect multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot noexecute optin fastdetect With all these efforts I got the Screen with both options for Windows as well as for Windows XP while Boot but unable to Boot with Windows where as from here I can choose the Windows XP and start Please suggest Sumit Rastogi

A:Issue:Windows 7 and XP dual boot(Win 7 installed First)

Welcome to SF!

No problem at all. First, mark your Windows 7 partition as active.

Then, run a startup repair on Windows 7.

That will make the default boot entry 7's boot loader, and XP will be inaccessible. To fix that, add XP manually to 7's boot loader using EasyBCD 2.0. You will need to register with a free account in order to download.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/81270-issue-windows-7-xp-dual-boot-win-7-installed-first.html
Relevancy 48.16%

HI everyone. My hard drive failed a bit ago, so I took it to a trusted computer shop to have the work done since I don't have the time or patience right now to work on a laptop. Anyway, I had a new HD put it, as well as a RAM upgrade. I just got it back, and was expecting to be able to just insert the windows vista installation disc that came with my computer and have it work. However, the screen just remains blank and the computer makes no attempt to boot anything from the disc. I tried turning off and on the computer with the cd in the drive, to no avail. The computer does run, it just never gets past a blank screen. I tried googling to see if there was an easy solution, but I couldn't find anything relevant. Thanks in advance for the help.

EDIT- Disc is Vista Ultimate sp1

Relevancy 48.16%

Hello I'm new here.

I had Windows 7 on my hard drive and I partitioned it using the partition tool built into windows. I installed Windows XP afterwards and now when I got to My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > Settings (while I'm in Windows XP) under default operating system it only shows Windows XP.

After I partitioned the drive for 7GB I installed Windows XP on the new partitioned drive known as E drive, I still see C drive in my computer, and all the files and programs I had on Windows 7!!

How do I get back to Windows 7!!
Please please tell me I didn't installed over it!!

A:Dual-Boot: Windows only showing One OS Installed! HELP!

If you use the windows partition tool it deletes the hard drive... so I don't understand what happened here.

Assuming then that you used a partition tool that doesn't delete the hard drive then check your disc drive. Does it have a disc in it?

A third thing is this: you partitioned it but the drive you intended to install xp on was too small, so the installer by default selected the bigger one and you accidently installed xp over windows 7.

I really don't understand what you are saying. Those are three posibilities from what I get out of this post. please rewrite it so we can narrow down what happened.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/72349-dual-boot-windows-only-showing-one-os-installed-help.html
Relevancy 48.16%

HELP I am having an issue after Win updated Logged off my machine and noticed that it was installing an update So far the updates have been flawless but when I went to turn on my computer Thursday morning no boot Ran Startup repair a couple of times and got gt Problem event Name Startup Repair gt Problem Signature gt Problem Signature gt Problem Signature unknown gt Problem Signature gt Problem Signature AutoFailover gt Problem Signature gt Problem Signature NoRootCause gt Os version gt Local ID Tried booting from Win CD and doing repair as well - no luck Tried doing an F Dell and doing hardware diagnostics - no problems found Tried doing a system restore to a time earlier about weeks and finally got it to boot into the opening quot fireflies quot and the next screen however the next screen was black and only contained the ease-of-access the quot Windows Home Premium quot text and the shutdown options I could not log in Unfortunately I have client files on this computer as part time I do graphics illustrations and windows installed boot update to after Unable web design I am extremely frustrated Rick

A:Unable to boot after windows update installed

You can download a Linux rescue disk and retrieve your files if need be. Please read this information SystemRescueCd

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/97951-unable-boot-after-windows-update-installed.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Ok So I had harddrive windows partition of GB had a FC partition of GB I wanted ubuntu instead of Fedora so I struggled getting the partitions setup in ubuntu install I was goign back and forth exiting re-configuring trying to get the quot no root configured quot until I fixed it It installed fine it works except for wireless Installed now boot ubuntu, Windows wont XP Help! Now It wont let me boot into windows which works on wireless I am using grub It told me that MS windows was detected Click next to install bootloader etc Now when I try to boot into Windows XP I get this after I tell Help! Installed ubuntu, now Windows XP wont boot grub to boot into windows Code Booting 'Microsoft Windows XP' root hd Filesystem type unknown partition type x savedefualt makeavtive chainloader I dont know what this means or what to do I was thinking somehow copy the partition onto my GB drive to back up and re-install XP Could I do this wit ha boot disk like knoppix If you need anymore info I am here Thank you in advanced Dan Rippon nbsp

A:Help! Installed ubuntu, now Windows XP wont boot

Does the computer hang at this point or does it expect some input?

The correct command after chainloader +1 would be "boot"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-installed-ubuntu-now-windows-xp-wont-boot.34258/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello guys Hope you can help me with this because I really need to get my Server running as that is working platform need it for my job I had three operating systems in my computer Ubunt Win XP and Win Server Grub was the booting program that offers you go to 7 boot installed 2003 having Server Cant after Windows Windows loader When I selected this I could choose between XP and Server according to XP boot ini file Yesterday I got Windows installed over XP Everything seemed to be fine I got back Grub booting with Super Grub When I boot the computer I choose Windows booting and now Windows menu is shown First options here were - Previous Windows version - Windows Firtst entry did not work when you select it the computer just hungs up doing nothing showing nothing totally black I installed Cant boot Server 2003 after having installed Windows 7 EasyBCD and tried to edit boot menu adding new entry to be autodetected or selecting the drive but I get just absolutely nothing When Cant boot Server 2003 after having installed Windows 7 I choose this new entry to be loaded same result black screen These are my curent booting settings Quote There are a total of entries listed in the bootloader Default Windows Timeout seconds Boot Drive C Entry Name Versi n anterior de Windows BCD ID ntldr Drive C Bootloader Path ntldr Entry Name Windows BCD ID current Drive C Bootloader Path Windows system winload exe Entry Name Server BCD ID fe dc - e a- e -b ef-a f c fa Drive D Bootloader Path NST easyldr I tried also copying a regular boot ini file see below into the Server partition but all I got with this is instead a black screen a message saying that system in quot NST easyldr quot cannot be loaded by some hardware software error no more options but to go back Code boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Windows Server Enterprise quot noexecute optout fastdetect As said I am totally desperated with this I really need my server getting launched Any help will be very appreciated

A:Cant boot Server 2003 after having installed Windows 7

Just in case it helps, here its my partition map. Although it is Spanish, I guess you can read it

The first two are the ubuntu partitions (systema and swap), then C (win7), D (server 2003), and E (data, no system)

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/163288-cant-boot-server-2003-after-having-installed-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I on my Windows disk choice XP boot 7 installed have bootable drives Two for XP and one should be for W I had one of my XP disks as first in BIOS when I installed Windows Now when I start from my XP disk I get to choose between W and quot other OS quot This works But if I try to boot directly from my W disk it says quot no boot manager quot or something such I think I can fix the missing Windows 7 installed boot choice on my XP disk boot manager in W disk but where is that extra choice screen in XP I checked boot ini and could not see it Here is my XP boot ini Warning Boot ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems Warning Use BCDEDIT exe to modify Windows Vista boot options boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot NOEXECUTE OPTIN FASTDETECT c CMDCONS BOOTSECT DAT quot Microsoft Windows Recovery Console quot CMDCONS I think there is only one OS mentioned Nice to see this forum is up Last time I was here was

A:Windows 7 installed boot choice on my XP disk

Install Easy BCD boot manager for multiple boot options.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-7-installed-boot-choice-on-my-xp-disk-612108.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I just upgraded to Windows 7... did a fresh install on what ended up being my G: drive. After I had it all set-up I decided I'd remove my previous vista install that was on the c: drive.

I used vistabootpro 3.3 to try and remove vista from the boot menu.... and then had it install the boot loader on all drives (I thought this would prove failsafe.) I then formatted my c: drive.

Surprise!! Can't boot... bootmgr not found is displayed when I boot. I go into the Windows 7 repair/recovery console and it finds my Windows 7 installation (on the E drive?) but can't automatically repair. When I run bootrec /scanos -- it doesn't find anything. How can I fix this? I can still easily switch to me E: drive (why isn't it G anymore?) and see all of my files and Windows 7 there. Help!

A:Installed Windows 7 -- Lost Boot Manager.

Wipe the entire hard drive - then install Windows 7.

KillDisk - http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

Make bootable KillDisk ISO CD w/ ImgBurn -
ImgBurn - http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/installed-windows-7-lost-boot-manager-428617.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello TenForums I run Linux Mint on one SSD and Windows on another Linux Mint SSD is on SATA Windows SSD is on SATA GB empty drive on SATA I upgraded Windows to Windows and after getting it all set up and pretty I decided to reboot and use Linux for the rest of the night Well with my Windows Drive Connected I tried booting into Linux but received the error quot Cannot mount drive mnt sdb quot So I booted back into Windows and everything Windows-wise was cool Here comes my screw up Fast forward to today roughly days later I tried fixing my Linux Partition by unplugging the Windows Drive since that would be the sdb drive and received the error quot The Disk Drive for UUID amp lt Drive Name Here gt is not ready yet or not present quot Using a LiveUSB I tried mounting and using chroot to try and fix grub but to no avail I also tried reinstalling Linux Mint while keeping my home partition but with no success either So I decided to install another SSD that I wanted to add for games amp amp misc files since it was bigger I Windows 10. 10 Windows Installed Linux Mint. Now can't or boot So I opened up my computer reorganized a bit and put all of the SSDs in in the config at the start Installed Windows 10. Now I can't boot Windows 10 or Linux Mint. of my post and connected all the power SATA cables I had previously read that Windows gets really pissy if you make any changes to hardware Well here comes the confusing part When only the Linux drive is connected I get the quot Disk Drive UUID quot error When booting into Linux with the Linux Drive amp amp Windows Drive Connected I get the quot Cannot mount Drive mnt sdb quot error When Booting into Windows WITHOUT the Linux Drive Connected I get the BSOD error quot A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed xc quot When booting into Windows WITH the Linux Drive connected Windows works just fine My hypothesis Windows always wants to be first When I upgraded to Windows since my Linux Drive was in the st SATA slot I think it bound the Windows Boot Manager amp amp other Windows start up necessities to it as well By doing this it changed the UUID of my or boot partition so grub doesn't know where to look when booting My concern is that I'm not sure how to separate these and to get them both to work I was saving up for a backup drive so I don't have any backups luckily this is for games I'm only worried about some read-only files on my Linux Drive I do not have any physical media for Windows and would rather create a VM and attempt GPU passthrough than install Windows SP from scratch and do all those damned updates I'd prefer not to have to reinstall any OS but I'll do it if we cannot find a solution to these two problems Please ask my any questions you may have and I'll try to get back to you ASAP I have finals for school tomorrow so this is really just a massive inconvenience Thankfully all my school work is on a laptop or synced to Dropbox Thanks I don't find it necessary but to save anyone the trouble of asking here are my parts CPU Intel i - k GPU Gigagyte WindForce GTX RAM GB G Skill x GB MOBO MSI Z S SLI Krait Edition PSU Seasonic G-Series W SSD x Samsung EVO GB x Samsung EVO GB

A:Installed Windows 10. Now I can't boot Windows 10 or Linux Mint.

With the configuration that you can boot Windows 10 from, we need a full screenshot of disk management with the columns expanded so we can see all the information in them:
Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of - Windows 10 Forums

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/51181-installed-windows-10-now-i-cant-boot-windows-10-linux-mint.html
Relevancy 48.16%

can I dual boot windows vista on a pre-installed windows 8.1

Samsung notebook model: NP300E5C-A08SA

A:dual boot windows vista on a pre-installed windows 8.1

yes you can, as long as it is on it's own partition or disk

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/64551-dual-boot-windows-vista-pre-installed-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I'll start from the beginning. Put together a computer of spare parts from old pc's neither of which are very old. Everything works fine, I installed vista only to find out nvidia doesn't support nforce2 for vista. I couldn't get my mouse or audio to work, only keyboard. XP drivers for nforce2 wouldn't work on vista. So I formatted my partition and began to instal a fresh copy of windows xp everything was fine until computer restarted and now the computer hangs at boot. shows graphics card information then hangs after showing Main Processor: AMD athlon 2800+. It wont boot and I cant get into bios to even boot from cd or anything. I know enough to be dangerous, not the tech savy individual. NEED HELP

A:installed vista didnt like, installed xp but hangs at boot

is there any jumpers i can connect or something of the sort to reset the hard drive...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/installed-vista-didnt-like-installed-xp-but-hangs-at-boot-285417.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Yeah I really messed up here ... Ok so I went ahead and tested out Linux Mint 11. Looked good, so I wanted to install it alongside my Windows 7 for a dual-boot. When it came time to select the partition to install on, I DELETED a ~69gb partition, and created two partitions from the freed unused space, ext4 and linux-swap. I believe something was on that partition that was needed... >_> Linux Mint now works fine. But when I turn on the computer and select Win 7 from the grub loader, Windows starts up (The flag animation), but turns to Blue Screen midway and the computer reboots. I still have my partition in which Windows was installed, with WINDOWS, USERS, SYSTEM32, and all my documents. etc... but I cant boot into Windows.

Anything I can do to repair this? Or am I stuck like this forever?

A:Deleted a partition. Installed Linux. Can't boot into Windows

You can try Startup Repair but I don't know if that will help

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/171008-deleted-partition-installed-linux-cant-boot-into-windows.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi yall I just did a Fedora install on my laptop after having Windows x Ultimate installed and now right after I choose the Windows boot option in Grub and choose the Windows option from the Windows bootloader as the animated Windows logo is loading I will get a Blue Screen Of Death I cannot get an error code because it comes and goes too quickly and it reboots I've tried running startup repair and that does nothing And when I try system it is only listing restore options from October of and none that are more recent which I know they had the last time I was able to boot into Windows long story but the other night I deleted Ubuntu and I wasn't able to boot into anything for a couple of days until I was able to make a bootable USB Drive to install Fedora Choices after OS Fedora Installed Windows Boot Crashes now today on a friends computer So what I'm wondering is there a way I can create a bootable USB Drive in Fedora to either reinstall Windows or to create a bootable USB Windows Repair Drive I would appreciate any help with this I hope I can just run a repair USB Drive and not have to wipe my whole Windows Partiton b c there is a lot of stuff on there that I really do need Please help

A:Installed Fedora now Windows Crashes after OS Boot Choices

Well how important is fedora in this equation?
Removing it and grub could conceivably fix the problem.
Remove Grub - Restore Windows 7
That method requires a windows 7 dvd, ...as will most fixes anyone is going to come up with for this most likely.

Other option is you can read/write/copy ntfs file (windows files) with fedora with a few tweaks.
Which might be what you want to start with if saving data is priority.
I'm assuming fedora actually works though as you didn't say otherwise.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/273465-installed-fedora-now-windows-crashes-after-os-boot-choices.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hello, I would really appreciate some help. here is the status of a computer i'm working on running xp. The registry became corrupt, the computer loads to "windows cannot start because ntsokrnl.exe was not found" I had previously accidently deleted the d drive and the di386 recovery drive. The disc trays were still working, I disconnected and reconnected them from inside and now they still open but I can't boot form a disc at all. I dont know what to do, can you tell me how to boot from a disc again without being able to go on windows at all even in safe mode? Can I install the two drives I deleted without the ability to get on windows? Please help

Relevancy 47.73%

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I am using Windows 8.1. I have an Acer Aspire V5-571P computer with Windows 8.1 pre-installed. I want to install my licensed copy of Windows 7 Professional on it as a dual boot to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. I have seen that it can be done, but I cannot figure out how to correctly do it. I have already had to re-install Windows 8.1 once from a USB Recovery drive which was not fun. So can someone help me out with this? I'd really like to learn how to do it and get it done. I love windows 7 Pro but I can't figure out how to do it.

I have already turned off secure boot in bios. However, UEFI mode is still active vs legacy bios which is the other mode I have.

A:Dual Boot Acer Aspire V5 with Windows 8.1 Pre-installed

You will need both Windows 7 x64 & Windows 8/8.1 installed in Legacy mode.

On some Acer, Gateway, P. Bell, Windows 7 x64 will not install in UEFI mode.

Windows 8 Desktops - How to Disable Secure Boot - YouTube

Enabling the boot device menu

Originally Posted by Acer

On most Acer systems, you can use the F12 key on boot to select the drive or network from which loading the operating system. In case the F12 option does not work, you may need to enable this function.

SOLUTION

Enabling the F12 function:

1.Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS.
2.Press the right arrow key to select Main.
3.Use the arrow keys to navigate to F12 Boot Menu, and press ENTER.
4.Select Enabled, and press ENTER.
5.Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system.

How to Enable or Disable Secure Boot

Originally Posted by Acer

This article only applies to: Windows 8 Desktops

Bootable media from previous versions of Windows may not be recognized in Windows 8. You can change the Secure Boot setting and it should recognize the bootable device.

Use the following steps to change Secure Boot:

1.Completely shut down your computer.
2.Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press Delete to enter the BIOS.
3.Use the right arrow key to select Authentication.
4.With Secure Boot highlighted, press Enter and then the down arrow to select Disabled.
5.Use the right arrow key to select Boot Options.
6.With Launch CSM highlighted, press Enter and use the down arrow to select Always.
7.Press Enter.
8.Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/44518-dual-boot-acer-aspire-v5-windows-8-1-pre-installed.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi

My pc info -

AMD Athlon(tm) 5150 APU with Radeon(tm) R3

Motherboard Gigabyte AM1M-S2H
Northbridge AMD K16 IMC rev. 00
Southbridge AMD Kabini FCH rev. 7.2
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
Memory Type DDR3
Memory Size 4 GBytes

Windows Version Microsoft Windows 7 (6.1) Professional 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

DMI BIOS
vendor American Megatrends Inc.
version F2
date 06/20/2014

Hi

I have windows 7 installed on c drive.

I would like to dual boot with winxp.

I slipstreamed with AHCI driver.

When the windows xp installation menu loads to partition choosing page.

It shows my whole HDD as one partition.

The partition is like - Partition1 Unknown.

WinXP is not able to read the hard drive partition.

How can I fix this ?

Thanks and Regards

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/392657-dual-boot-windows-7-already-installed-win-xp-partition-unknown.html
Relevancy 47.73%

New Hard DRIVE INSTALLED - how do I install the Windows Operating system. It will not boot-up.

A:New Hard DRIVE INSTALLED - how do I install the Windows. It will not boot

The system is missing a driver or boot manager. I lost the original windows version that came with the system and I had to replace the hard drive which crashed. How would I load the MS 7 that I purchased

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/new-hard-drive-installed-how-do-i-install-the-windows-it-will-not-boot-644950.html
Relevancy 47.73%
A:Windows Takes Longer to Boot with AMD Drivers Installed?

It is the AMD Catalyst Software that is the problem .. The Graphics Driver is included with it ..

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/348899-windows-takes-longer-boot-amd-drivers-installed.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Dear Sirs, I have tried to install Ubuntu 16.04 and Ubuntu 12.04.5 on my Windows 10 (pre-installed) HP Envy 15AH. Even if I try to run the LiveCD, the LiveCD's hang, and the installed Ubuntu crashes or hangs. I have also tried a LIveCD of Fedora, and the same things happen. I have checked that Ubuntu should be suitable for UEFI installation, and I cannot see why even the LiveCDs hang. How can I get an good installation of (ideally 12.04.5) to work on the laptop? I contacted the company I bought the laptop from - having paid extra for support - and they said I should ask you! Many thanks for your help. Yours faithfully, 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/How-to-install-dual-boot-Windows-10-pre-installed-and-Ubuntu/td-p/5614511
Relevancy 47.73%

Asus cm -ap originally running vista premium and owner wanted an upgrade to seven Bought a new hard drive b c old one died Mobo had trouble finding new drive but after setting bios back to default F it installed and finally got working Owner gets pc and starts getting blue screening and saying theres an f drive error and wont wake up after suspending without Installed and drive wont hard boot.... Windows now 7 reboot So I get it running fine by removing avg which is causing blue screen for some reason and the it is now waking up after auto hibernation But if you Installed Windows 7 and now hard drive wont boot.... put into hibernation Installed Windows 7 and now hard drive wont boot.... manually it wont wake I update windows and it goes back to not recognising hard drive Flash bios remove cmos baterry reset bios to default and set hard drive to ahcpi and it reinstalls fine update windows and it stops working Use restore point to get it back and running and this time dont update windows and its running ok again Shut it down for the night and the next day go to boot it up and there is no bootable media and now I am trying to Installed Windows 7 and now hard drive wont boot.... reinstall win and after it does it gets a no bootable media error even though it is installed and passes all the startup tests when using the disk to do a repair help any suggestions welcome Thanks

A:Installed Windows 7 and now hard drive wont boot....

Quote: Originally Posted by andrew10

Asus cm5570-ap006 originally running vista premium and owner wanted an upgrade to seven. Bought a new hard drive b/c old one died. Mobo had trouble finding new drive but, after setting bios back to default(F5) it installed and finally got working.
Owner gets pc and starts getting blue screening and saying theres an f1 drive error and wont wake up after suspending without reboot.
So I get it running fine by removing avg(which is causing blue screen for some reason) and the it is now waking up after auto hibernation. But if you put into hibernation manually it wont wake. I update windows and it goes back to not recognising hard drive.
Flash bios remove cmos baterry reset bios to default and set hard drive to ahcpi and it reinstalls fine update windows and it stops working. Use restore point to get it back and running and this time dont update windows and its running ok again. Shut it down for the night and the next day go to boot it up and there is no bootable media and now I am trying to reinstall win7 and after it does it gets a no bootable media error even though it is installed and passes all the startup tests when using the disk to do a repair....help any suggestions welcome.... Thanks

The motherboard may be at fault. Have you tried hooking up the hard drive to another system to see if you can acess the data. There may be a chance that the hard drive is failing. Be sure to back up the owner's data.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/229599-installed-windows-7-now-hard-drive-wont-boot.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I had a perfect-running CyberpowerPC-built PC with a Gigabyte Z mobo one TB HDD and GB SSD using Intel Smart Response to cache plus an MSI GTX It was fast and perfect After years my PC suddenly began displaying intermittent graphics glitches while gaming I checked my Nvidia now Sequential have 3 Crashes, Windows HDDs 3 Boot installed on drivers and found that they were versions out of date despite having Windows Update set on automatic I d l the latest driver package but 3 Sequential Boot Crashes, now have Windows installed on 3 HDDs got an unrecoverable crash in mid-install the machine refused to boot and neither the W OEM disc nor the Recovery Disk that I had made could repair it Checking CMOS I discovered that the BIOS was not detecting my GTX OR my SSD I removed the GTX since it had apparently failed and tried to boot using on-board graphics but that also failed I now began to suspect the motherboard since memory tests ruled out any problem with my RAM DIMMs After fruitless and pointless online discussions with CyberpowerPC and Gigabyte I gave up and ordered a new HDD this time opting for a giant TB drive After installing it and installing Windows on it I was able to finally boot the machine My old TB WD HDD was now installed as a backup drive and I was able to copy all of my old programs data games etc from it to my new TB drive I reinstalled the GTX but with it installed neither it nor the internal graphics would work despite my setting BIOS options appropriately for each So I removed the GTX and was able to use internal graphics Now convinced I had a GFX card failure I got a new GTX and installed it but had the same issue no display from either the card nor the internal graphics with the card installed So I removed it and went back to internal graphics Since basically the only common denominators still left in the machine were the motherboard and the SSD I decided in desperation to replace them too Since the Gigabyte mobo is no longer in stock anywhere I got an ASRock Z board and installed it along with a GB SSD which I hoped to put back as cache for my HDDs After several BSOD-on-boot crashes which rescue disks and the Windows disk were unable to repair I was eventually able to install a NEW Windows- onto the SSD So now although I can boot from the SSD I now have installations of Windows and the only one that actually works is on my SSD thus preventing me from using it as a cache for my main HDD I haven't bothered installing the GTX yet One issue at a time please In addition to all this I have a MB drive D named quot System Reserved quot which does not correspond to any physical drive AFAIK I never had that before tonight when the only way to boot was to install Windows on my SSD So now none of my programs games etc work because they are all on drive E my TB former boot drive c and they are supposed to be on drive C I need to find some way to straighten this mess out without losing all my data Also as info I have never overclocked anything on this machine- everything is bone-stock Does anyone have any advice as to how I can fix this so I have ONE bootable installation of Windows on my TB HDD and use my SSD as intended i e as a cache to speed up my normal HDDs instead of as my new system drive with no room for anything else Thanks in advance Disk Management Screenie

A:3 Sequential Boot Crashes, now have Windows installed on 3 HDDs

Follow it please:
Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/351879-3-sequential-boot-crashes-now-have-windows-installed-3-hdds.html
Relevancy 47.73%

First off I am a tech for staples, and we had a computer come in that has windows 7 factory installed and at some point windows 8 was installed as a dual boot setup. The Compaq CQ5504F came in with loads of virues and addware, and to have the windows 8 install removed. All the virueses have been removed and works great, but when I go in to My Computer to format the win 8 partion it isn't there. So I reboot the PC and the try booting to the windows 8 option in there, but then to it it says the files are missing and to choose a different OS. The 1 partion is the whole the 500gb drive -the recovery drive. So then I need to Remove that boot option for 8, and I have no clue where to start.

A:[SOLVED] windows 7 installed, can't remove win 8 boot option

nvm didn't realize it was in the boot tab of smconfig lol. learn something new everyday.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-windows-7-installed-cant-remove-win-8-boot-option-701761.html
Relevancy 47.73%

First - I'm no computer whiz which is why I am posting here - hoping you gurus can guide me through a fix via 'baby-steps ' Ok I put a new hard drive in a Dell Precision Workstation It apparently had some sort of Raid ADHD probably have those initials messed up but it kind of accidentally OS's 2 - issue Manager installed Boot Windows describes the way I'm feeling It has two hard drives The new hard drive is the OS Boot drive It was a tb drive so I thought I might experiment and partition it down into two smaller drives - thinking that the bootable portion might boot faster if the drive was smaller plus - thinking the other drive could act as an additional storage drive that Windows Boot Manager issue - accidentally installed 2 OS's wouldn't bog down the Boot Drive Partition Is that thinking flawed Anyway I tried putting XP back on and I kept getting this error saying that 'Cannot find a drive' something to that effect So I got into the Bios and changed the type of Raid to a different one and eventually it seemed that it might work XP installed but everything was jack-screwed in that the video drivers weren't there etc etc So I thought I'm going to stick in my Windows upgrade which I was saving for another computer and see if I can just boot off that disk wipe off the other OS and maybe the newer Windows would work Well it DID work Only problem is I discovered that now I get the Windows Boot Manager everytime I boot the computer and it wants me to decide between quot Windows or a Previous Installation quot I select 'Windows ' and it boots just fine but this doesn't seem right to me and I want to get rid of the Boot Manager and just have Windows boot up I dug around a bit and discovered I SOMEHOW slap to the forehead installed Windows XP onto the nd partitioned portion of my new drive I went to that drive letter and 'deleted' the 'windows' folder But I still get the Windows Boot Manager popping up upon startup Can you tell me in very detailed steps an ignorant person like me can understand how to get this fixed I also see in my Bios Settup 'BOOT SEQUENCE' that both my hard drives are listed under the CD Rom drive as 'Add-in Hard Drive' and then to the right of each of those it says Not present What does that mean The computer seems to boot and run fine but shouldn't the drives be listed by the Drive Manufacturer's name and capacity Thanks for your help

A:Windows Boot Manager issue - accidentally installed 2 OS's

Toddsta
You mentioned that you did a change for your bios. Did you restore those changes?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/160892-windows-boot-manager-issue-accidentally-installed-2-oss.html
Relevancy 47.73%

i have 2 hard drives in my computer one was 500 and the other was1tb now i have no space after i installed windows 7. before i installed windows 7 i had a boot disk falure and could not do a system restore so thats why i used the 7 disk.should i reinstall the 7 again?how do i get to use all the space i use to have? thanks for any help i can get

A:newbie that installed windows 7 after boot disk falure

I don't know what you did but you somehow partitioned each drive into two small partitions of 48.82GB and 9.77GB with the rest left unallocated. Any data on either is probably lost.

The best thing you can do is do the Windows 7 install again, but disconnect which ever drive you DO NOT want Windows 7 installed to, leave just the one you want.

During the install, delete all partitions on it then create a new partition that spans the entire drive and complete the install. Once done, shutdown and reconnect the 2nd drive then use Disk Management to delete the existing partitions on it and create one or more, what ever size you want them to be.

Or ... read here: Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/290337-newbie-installed-windows-7-after-boot-disk-falure.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I am writing this on another computer I can assure you that I have 7 Windows installed Dual-boot, computer on a with with XP Problem never found myself in this kind of frustration when it comes to computers I have a computer which has Windows installed on it I have some old games and applications I've always wanted to use but couldn't because of compatibility issues I decided to follow a tutorial here on this forum to install Windows XP using dual boot Now my computer has two internal Problem with Dual-boot, installed XP on a computer with Windows 7 drives An SSD of GB with Windows on it and a TB drive which I split into two Problem with Dual-boot, installed XP on a computer with Windows 7 partitions in order to be able to install Windows XP I have also supposedly slipstreamed the Problem with Dual-boot, installed XP on a computer with Windows 7 drivers into the installation All went fine in the setup until it had to restart It restarted and I was greeted by the Windows XP Pro loading screen I was proud of myself that I had managed to do it oh wait only seconds passed and this beast BSOD pops up Error code x B I tried to restart again and noticed I am stuck on Windows XP now something that has to do with the bootloader from what I've read I tried inserting the Windows OEM disk and performed a repair used the bootrec commands Kept saying no element found made the partition active using diskpart searched for COUNTLESS hours on the internet maybe something on some forum could be of some help nothing And finally MY WORST MISTAKE was deleting the partition I quot installed quot Windows XP on When I try to boot I'm now stuck with Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem Could not read from the selected boot disk Check boot path and disk hardware Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for addition information I tried using diskpart to change the drive letters back to the original ones nothing I think that this message I'm getting is coming from XP I need some REAL help with this How to get back to Windows Are my files safe Will using an adapter to connect the harddrive as a USB to another computer get me back my files I've done a backup but I forgot that some more up to date files are in my GB SSD drive I am in some real trouble and need some help ASAP I know how to format but I would like to keep that as a LAST resort Thanks

A:Problem with Dual-boot, installed XP on a computer with Windows 7

If you have separate hard drives then you should have unplugged the Win7 SSD to install XP on the other hard drive so this could not happen. Then boot your choice via the BIOS.

Now unplug all other drives and peripherals besides the Win7 SSD, confirm the 100mb System Reserved (if you have it) or the Win7 partition (if you don't) is Partition Marked Active,

Then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times until Win7 starts.

If you want to install XP, unplug all other drives except the drive you want it installed upon. Using the XP CD, I would delete its partition, create and full format new to make sure you have the XP partition table.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/374282-problem-dual-boot-installed-xp-computer-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 47.3%

I just installed Window 7 professional in place of Windows 7 Ultimate RC to which I subscribed. I was not pleased to do a clean install as opposed to an upgrade and was not informed about it.

When I reinstalled Office 2007, my outlook does not work, although exchange on the web works. I get the following error message:

There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default programs control panel 

A:There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default programs control panel

Louis,This issue may occur if the Outlook registry key is corrupted. When other programs try to use the Outlook Simple MAPI interface, they cannot retrieve the required information from the registry.You must first remove the corrupted Outlook registry key, and then perform a Detect and Repair operation to have Outlook rebuild the key. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
In Registry Editor, locate the following subkey in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Microsoft Outlook
Select the subkey, and then press DELETE.
Click Yes.
Quit Registry Editor.
Start Outlook.
On the Help menu, click Office Diagnostics.
Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the repair.

Important: Above section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.Hope above information helps.

Pooja Katiyar

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/036e3cf6-bff7-4ef2-bd0a-555cd2399ad4/there-is-no-email-program-associated-to-perform-the-requested-action-please-install-an-email?forum=w7itproappcompat
Relevancy 47.3%

I have 3 partitions on my hard drive: Windows Vista, 7 and 10. Previously I had Vista, 7 and 8.1 and so I upgraded the latter partition to Windows 10 using the free upgrade option that appeared in the system tray. Since then, I have only been able to boot the computer into Windows Vista and 10. When I boot my computer I am shown the 3 choices of Windows version on my computer (Windows Vista, 7 and 10) but when I try to boot into Windows 7 the screen remains blank for a time and then the computer reboots without entering Windows 7. I have looked at the files on the Windows 7 partition and they look 'normal'. Any assistance would be appreciated.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/cannot-boot-to-windows-7-partition-after-windows-10-installed-1097953.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Hi All Recently I installed Windows Pro on my system in a SSD after a few weeks I noticed that the OS Windows later) Installed & 7 7 (With 8 Windows Dual Boot isn't compatible with certain programs I use so I wanted to install Windows Home Premium alongside it Since I don't really want to clean install after installing I installed onto a separate HDD within my case I've now got to the stage of the black background white Dual Boot Windows 7 & 8 (With Windows 7 Installed later) text boot menu which shows Windows and Windows but whenever I select Windows it just reboots the PC back to the Boot Splash screen Bios Post screen I've repaired the install with Windows discs and with Windows discs and neither seemed to help I've used EasyBCD installed on Windows to create the boot menu and that doesn't help anything either When Dual Boot Windows 7 & 8 (With Windows 7 Installed later) in Windows the Drive letters are such C is Windows W is Windows Short of clean installing I really don't know quite what to do Any suggestions Before it is asked that drives have been in that case since I built it and not moved from a seperate machine Thank you for your help

A:Dual Boot Windows 7 & 8 (With Windows 7 Installed later)

Welcome to EightForums.

Can you post a screen shot of Disk management from Windows 8?

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Eight Forums
For better help with problems, Can you post your specs.

Filling out System Specs - Windows 7 Forums

System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/14296-dual-boot-windows-7-8-windows-7-installed-later.html
Relevancy 47.3%

I have a brand new Dell XPS 8700 with windows 7 pro installed. I am trying to install windows XP pro to be able to dual boot. I have already succesfuly set up new partition and am having trouble with the XP install. After a little while into the installation I get the following message "file acpi.sys is corrupted" and the installation ends and windows 7 reboots. I have done research online and haven't been able to find a specific solution to this error message. I have been given several links to dual booting instructions and none of them include this specific error message. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Relevancy 47.3%

Am not sure if this is the right place Can't run Files program installed Program (x86) within to ask for this problem let me know I gave a try to the Setup Project of VStudio to create and distribute an x installer of Can't run installed program within Program Files (x86) a program I develop in win After installing uninstalling and executing over and over some of the features of my release distribution I suppose I broke a windows registry or something related I can't run anymore this app whether from executing from the shortcut or directly it just sends an error quot Couldn't start the application correctly xe d Accept to close quot there Can't run installed program within Program Files (x86) is no other option Later I found out that moving exactly the installed content somewhere else out side the Program Files x dir the application works flawlessly Browsing finding and deleting all references in regedit for my program didn't fix anything I double checked my project is fine and also created another installer version using the tool Inno setup producing exactly the same behavior good install error message when executing it inside the Program Files folder Am clueless what else to do with the OS to fix this Using CCleaner and or my anti virus don't show any broken reference to my program it seems clean Can anyone help me

A:Can't run installed program within Program Files (x86)

When you were installing the Program did you do so in the Programs File Folder? The Program that is not portable would not normally work by installing it elsewhere and moving it to another location later.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/214394-cant-run-installed-program-within-program-files-x86.html
Relevancy 47.3%

After doing a million feels like it fixes from the very many articles and posts about how to fix Windows update problems I have finally got Windows installed on my husband s laptop nbsp There is only one problem nbsp it won t complete a reboot after a Restart nbsp It will reboot after powering off and back on nbsp I am hoping that someone might have a fix for this nbsp I did read that Dell is saying this laptop is not compatible with Win nbsp My husband swears that he did not tell Microsoft to go ahead with the upgrade and we have discovered that this was true of many other users as well nbsp I have done the following fixes already reinstalled an updated driver for the display adapter uninstalled any software that generated errors in the Windows event log like Successfully Installed N5050 Inspiron 10 After Boot on up Except Restart Windows for HP Support Framework changed a number Successfully Installed Windows 10 on Inspiron N5050 Except for Boot up After Restart of Start up Services to be manual like Malware Bytes which is not the anti-virus software in use however I did use it to scan the computer for viruses increased the permissions on the Windows folder reinstalled Win using CD created by Windows Media Creator turned off the Fast Restart in Power settings nbsp uninstalled the IDT Audio driver ran the sfc scannow and the DISM Online Cleanup-Image Scanhealth and probably more So anyone have other suggestions Thanks

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19682765
Relevancy 47.3%

Hi everyone recently I bought a new laptop MSI GP which came with Windows I tried it for few weeks and than I decided to downgrade it to Windows So I did it everything went well I was using Windows for couple of weeks but now I have a problem Last night I didn't turn it off and in the morning i got drive start cannot up hard - be - boot Windows to installed Can't Fail black screen saying quot Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press any key quot So here's the problem I have hybrid hard drive GB SSD Fail to start up - Can't boot hard drive - Windows cannot be installed TB HDD which is divided to C D and E My laptop can recognize hard disk so it's not dead I can't start up because it can't Fail to start up - Can't boot hard drive - Windows cannot be installed boot it and I can't reinstall repair Windows because it says quot Windows cannot be installed Fail to start up - Can't boot hard drive - Windows cannot be installed to this disk This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu quot I'll also provide pictures of my BIOS in attachments You can see the settings and all boot devices I did a bit of research and I came across that if you have hard drives it may confuse Windows and Vista so disconnecting one of them will solve the problem that could be my case due to hybrid hard drive I'm not sure And the problem is that I can't open my laptop because I will lose the warranty So does anyone know what should I do to make it work again I have some files on my e drive which I would like to keep I've tried everything and I couldn't sort it out Will deleting all partitions and formatting them all over again do the job I would appreciate every attempt of help Thank you guys I colored everything a bit just to make it easier to read

A:Fail to start up - Can't boot hard drive - Windows cannot be installed

I don't see where either Legacy BIOS or CSM are enabled, just Legacy Boot - is there a panel not shown? But that may be enough to Bypass UEFI to Install WIn7 if that's what worked for install.

That makes it easier to repair. Confirm the 100mb System Reserved (preferred if you have it) or C is Partition Marked Active then run Startup Repair - Run up to 3 Separate Times to see if it will start.

Different hybrid hard drives require different install procedures. If it's Intel Rapid Storage Technology it normally requires being turned off in BIOS for install, then enabled to activate the 24gb caching drive. But since IRST can also be problematic many leave it disabled. We've even helped users install to the SSD their OS and programs with the data folders linked from HDD, it worked and they wanted to keep it.

Read your Manual on the PC's Support Downloads webpage to see exactly how yours works. It would also help if you could post back a camera snap of Partition Wizard CD
drive map and listings. That tool can also mark Active and add another step which helps start Win7 by running Partition Wizard Rebuild MBR - Video Help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/311841-fail-start-up-cant-boot-hard-drive-windows-cannot-installed.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Hello This is my problem - I added a SSD to my computer - Windows Home was installed at my C-drive harddisk - I succesfully installed Windows Home at my new A-drive SSD - When I startup on already disk create repair boot sector installed or an windows I can choose between two Windows installation The first is the new installation the second is the old one - Now I want to remove my old C-drive But when I do this Windows does not start up I tried booting from the installation DVD tyring repair but my new installation does not appear in there so I cannot repair that installation Someone told me I had to repair the bootrecord create or repair boot sector on an already installed windows disk on my new SSD but I don't know how I DON'T want to reinstall windows I only want to repair or copy the bootrecord on this new SSD so that I can remove the C-drive Whenever I replug the C-drive everything still works fine That disk and that installation is fine as well Can I copy it from that installation Thank you

A:create or repair boot sector on an already installed windows disk

Hello Floris I don't know if either of these will help you our but worth a try
https://neosmart.net/wiki/bootrec/

or

Use Bootrec.exe in the Windows RE to troubleshoot startup issues
not having to have to do either of these I am not really sure but they do look similar to each other.

I just found this too wasn't sure if I had seen it but read this MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record

NB Remove the old drive first

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/348443-create-repair-boot-sector-already-installed-windows-disk.html