Windows Support Forum

Sony Vaio DVD ROM stopped reading home made CDs and DVDs

Q: Sony Vaio DVD ROM stopped reading home made CDs and DVDs

Hello to all I saw this topic dating back to but it seemed that at DVD stopped DVDs ROM reading CDs Sony Vaio and made home that time the drives were not working were stopping That is not my issue Before suggested I have tried what was recommended then uninstalling the drive and removing lower and upper in the registry sorry cannot remember what they were Ok here is what I have and what it has been doing for over a year I have a Sony Vaio laptop CR E Vista Over a year ago it just stopped reading home made disks My daughter s wedding disk the disk of my X rays from the Doctor music regardless when put in they were seen as blank Sometimes if I kept putting them in they would be recognized but mostly not I got a cdrom Sony Vaio DVD ROM stopped reading home made CDs and DVDs cleaner used it and it seemed to work for a good while However it is doing it again If I burned the disk on this system before it would read it but I am not sure if that is the case now It makes me crazy I went and got a new cleaner and have done all that I know to do Sony you suck Too many ppl have had this problem My next laptop will NOT be a Sony So if I put a commercial cd or dvd in it works fine Any suggestions Can I clean this sucker any other way nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Sony Vaio DVD ROM stopped reading home made CDs and DVDs

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Sony Vaio DVD ROM stopped reading home made CDs and DVDs

In any CD/DVD RW drive, there are 2 'lasers'. One is for reading, the other for writing.
From what you have said, it sounds as if the 'writing' head has lost power, or is failing in some way.
So when you use a commercial DVD it reads perfectly, but when you try to load from the DVD's you burned on that drive, it is unreliable.
The only real answer is to buy a new CD/DVD drive unit. It's very easy to fit, and not very expensive either. I have found also that some CD/DVD drives seem to read 'bought' discs better than others, maybe some alignment differences between manufacturers ?
When you get a new drive installed, you can make new copies of the unreliable discs.
If you don't like the idea of taking the drive out, you can buy a stand-alone CD/DVD RW that will plug into (usually 2) USB ports. Not good on a laptop ! There are some that will use only 1 USB port though. Hope that's of help.
* This is one I have, but be aware that the read/write speed is only X8 on DVD.
http://www.itechnews.net/2007/05/18/samsung-se-t084l-external-slim-dvd-writer/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sony-vaio-dvd-rom-stopped-reading-home-made-cds-and-dvds.159937/
Relevancy 97.03%

Earlier this week whilst trying to make a system repair disc in Windows, half way through making the disc, it stopped. Since then my Blu-Ray drive has stopped reading DVDs and CDs, but still reads Blu-Rays that I put in the drive. I can't boot from it and I reinstalled Windows yesterday with no difference with the drive.

Sony suggested I uninstall the drive but didn't say how to in their email. Is that really going to work?

Even when there is a CD or DVD in the drive, if I click on the drive it says 'please insert a disc into drive D:'

Thank you.

A:My Sony VAIO Blu-Ray drive has stopped reading DVDs and CDs

Quote: Originally Posted by SamuelGE

Earlier this week whilst trying to make a system repair disc in Windows, half way through making the disc, it stopped. Since then my Blu-Ray drive has stopped reading DVDs and CDs, but still reads Blu-Rays that I put in the drive. I can't boot from it and I reinstalled Windows yesterday with no difference with the drive.

Sony suggested I uninstall the drive but didn't say how to in their email. Is that really going to work?

Even when there is a CD or DVD in the drive, if I click on the drive it says 'please insert a disc into drive D:'

Thank you.

I had an issue with a dvd drive where the driver was reinsalled and volia, it worked. I would try that first. To reinstall the dvd drive, go to start and type in Device Manager and press enter. Then, expand the section titled " DVD/CDROM Drives. Then, right click on your dvd drive and select uninstall. Then, reboot your computer and it will install the dvd drive again upon boot.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/238966-my-sony-vaio-blu-ray-drive-has-stopped-reading-dvds-cds.html
Relevancy 85.57%

I have a vaio FS series with SONY DVD+-RW DW-D56A dvd combo drive. For the past few days it has suddenly stopped reading most dvds. however it does read/writes cds perfectly. It is also able to burn dvds and read them as well

strangely it also reads some dvds when inserted but may not read them when removed and inserted again.

I have done the latest firmware upgrade and also tried installing the drive again (including removal of upperfilters, lowerfilters keys from the registry)

I am using windows xp pro and nero..

A:SONY DVD+-RW DW-D56A not reading all dvds

I have the exact same problem. Just started yesterday. Randomly stopped reading all DVDs. I tried the same dvd for a while then I restarted... it played it once now I haven't been able to get any DVDs to play. It's a Sony VAIO FS-680W. My cd's play fine though. I also tried the delete the upper and lower filters/uninstall reinstall. Still doesn't read DVDs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sony-dvd-rw-dw-d56a-not-reading-all-dvds.38792/
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi I've got a laptop that has the sony q58a drive. When I put a dvd in, everything reads and plays but when I enter a CD it makes noises and doesnt read. Please help me. Thanks

Relevancy 84.28%

Hello all, dvds made from on line downloads will play on pc but not external player. The home set (rca) sends the error message: "no disk" and thats it.
Any help would be app. Also, i'm using dvd+rws
DOC

A:Solved: home made dvds will not play on home dvd player

How are you making them?

Using R's will give better results for one thing. Are you finalizing the disks?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-home-made-dvds-will-not-play-on-home-dvd-player.897279/
Relevancy 82.99%

I was just attacked by "xp antivirus 2008" last week. I contained it and got rid of it (thanks to all of you on bc), but noticed that my Photoshop access was changed. Long story short, I need to re-install it. I put the disc in, and nothing. Won't read it, won't do anything. "My Computer" doesn't even show that there's a disc in there. Audio CDs and CD-RW's work just fine, but I know that I had a DVD drive.

What happened? How can I re enable it? Is there a way to do it without a complete remormat and reinstall? Did that virus do this?

A:Dvd Drive Stopped Reading Dvds

Some things you can try:If you recently installed some burning software, uninstall it.Use the fix given on this Microsoft page.Clean the laser using one of those drive cleaning kits.Open the Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc"). Locate the CD/DVD drive, right click on it and select "Uninstall". After it has uninstalled reboot the computer (it will be automatically reinstalled).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/160762/dvd-drive-stopped-reading-dvds/
Relevancy 82.13%

This laptop contains a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ890AS which will not read any format of disc.

The problem started completely out of the blue as the drive was working perfectly fine a couple of days prior to the problem starting. Whether a windows update or iTunes update etc

The drive is showing in Disk Management and shows as working properly in Device Manager.

Event viewer shows the following error The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom0.

I have so far;
Checked for available driver updates - none noted
Uninstalled the driver, rebooted the machine and let Windows re-install automatically - still no resolution to the problem.
Tweaking the registry to remove the upper filters associated with iTunes - since resorted back to standard as this did not resolve the issue.
Also removed iTunes and reinstalled

Machine is running Windows 7 Home Premium (SP1) 64 Bit.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

A:Sony Vaio VGN-NW20SF DVD-RAM Drive Not Reading

Disc recognition is a hardware issue within the drive itself. If the drive isn't recognizing discs, the drive is faulty.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sony-vaio-vgn-nw20sf-dvd-ram-drive-not-reading.1034053/
Relevancy 82.13%

Hardware:

HP Pavilion ze5560us Notebook PC and HP DVD Writer dvd200e

Software:

OS MS-XP SP2

=========================================================

Issue:

Drive D: DVD+R/W Has Stopped Reading or Writing DVDs all other formats OK.
Drive E: DVD+R/W Reads and writes DVDs and all other formats OK.

What has been tried:

[1] PC Hardware Device Manager reports Drive D: Sony DVD+RW - P50 A OK.

[2] Drive has been R/W DVDs up to a few months ago.

[3] HP web sites does not have any new driver/software updates for Sony DVD+RW A.

[4] DVD decoders are on PC (Third party players are installed on PC).

[5] Drive E: R/W DVDs without problems.

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

A:Drive D: DVD+R/W Has Stopped Reading or Writing DVDs

goto the device mgr ,double click on cdrom to open it ,right click on the drive that is not working ,click remove. restart your computer and let windows hardware wizard reinstall it. this worked for me a year ago.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/drive-d-dvd-r-w-has-stopped-reading-or-writing-dvds.337709/
Relevancy 81.27%

Recently I hade a one year old DVD burner in my new computer with Vista the computer itself are months old I have also another older computer DVDs computer restarts made Home my with XP which have a - year old DVD burner With this setup everything worked fine I decided to switch the DVD burners Home made DVDs restarts my computer so that my new computer uses the older - year old DVD burner NEC DVD RW ND- A casue Home made DVDs restarts my computer this one looks better in my new computer and also I think it a bit faster So now when ever I put a home made DVD in the burner the computer restarts and restarts all over again until Home made DVDs restarts my computer I remove the DVD then Vista finally starts as it should Only Comercial DVDs CDs will work and also home made CDs but for some reason not home made DVDs At the same time my old computer has the newer burner and that combination works fine Does any one have a clue what to do Why am I getting this problem Is the DVD burner to old and only works along with XP Cause in my old machine it worked fine

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/home-made-dvds-restarts-my-computer-284171.html
Relevancy 81.27%

Hello all I am in dire need of help with my DVD-ROM Drive otherwise I will have to send my computer in to the company where they will wipe the HDD I know how to burn DVDs and everything and my computer has had no problem with it up until yesterday I was using my usual program to burn a DVD with but this time --for the st time-- about into the burning process it came up with a dialogue box blank suddenly stopped DVDs My reading computer that said quot Cannot set address for quot and then it My computer suddenly stopped reading blank DVDs displayed a bunch of numbers below that Now everytime I insert a blacnk DVD of any kind any brand what have you My computer suddenly stopped reading blank DVDs you can hear the laser in the drive bouncing around like it s trying to read a badly scratched disc whereas the discs are spotless and after about minute it spits them out I have run virus scans done a system restore and had the drivers reinstalled but to no avail BUT Here is the weird thing It will read any other disc I stick in there perfectly It makes no sense Can My computer suddenly stopped reading blank DVDs any of you guys help me with this problem If you can help me with this and stop them from having to wipe my HDD for no real reason then you are the best person ever Thanks alot guys I didn t know if this was the right forum to post this in but I am pretty sure that it is a problem with Vista nbsp

Relevancy 81.27%

Hello all I am in dire need of help with my DVD-ROM Drive otherwise I will have to send my computer in to the company where they will wipe the HDD I know how to burn DVDs and everything and my computer has had no problem with Computer reading DVDs stopped Blank suddenly it up until yesterday I was using my usual program to burn a DVD with but this time --for the st time-- about into the burning process it came up with a dialogue box that said quot Cannot set address for quot and then it displayed a bunch of numbers below that Now everytime I insert a blacnk DVD Computer suddenly stopped reading Blank DVDs of any kind any brand what have you you can hear the laser in the drive bouncing around like it's trying Computer suddenly stopped reading Blank DVDs to read a badly scratched disc whereas Computer suddenly stopped reading Blank DVDs the discs are spotless and after about minute it spits them out I have run virus scans done a system restore and had the drivers reinstalled but to no avail BUT Here is the weird thing It will read any other disc I stick in there perfectly It makes no sense Can any of you guys help me with this problem If you can help me with this and stop them from having to wipe my HDD for no real reason then you are the best person ever Thanks alot guys I didn't know if this was the right forum to post this in but I am pretty sure that it is a problem with Vista

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/computer-suddenly-stopped-reading-blank-dvds-250529.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Hello all, i was resetting my Sony vaio model VPCEA45FG to factory conditions using the 3 DVD which i had created using the recovery options. For some reasons DVD 2 is not reading while doing the factory restore, can somebody help please . Last option is to give the laptop to the service station which i am not ok with. If this DVD 2 contents is available (for Sony vaio model VPCEA45FG) on any URL please provide the same.

A:Sony Vaio model VPCEA45FG Restore Disk 2 not reading

Hello Sandy and welcome to Seven Forums.

I have a Vaio VPCEB47GM. One of the problems with burning data to disk is if one of the disks fails to burn properly the rest of the disks become useless. I'm not aware of being able to get an individual disk because the disks are tied to the specific computer that created them. It may be possible to order a complete set of recovery disks from Sony but that could take weeks and you'd have to find out the procedure/price from Sony India.

https://sonystyle.custhelp.com/ci/documents/detail/5/66

Instead of using the disks see if you can access the hidden recovery partition instead.

If your model Vaio has the ASSIST button (upper right on keyboard)
1. Turn computer off and then press the ASSIST button. Vaio Care Rescue should launch.
2. Click Start Recovery Wizard > Tools > Start Advanced Recovery Wizard
3. Follow on-screen instructions

If your Vaio does not have the ASSIST button (or if Vaio Care Rescue - above - does not launch)
1. Turn computer on and immediately start clicking the F10 key (top row of keyboard.) Keep clicking about one click per second until you see the Edit Boot Options screen, then click Enter.
2. Select Start Recovery Wizard > Tools > Start Advanced Recovery Wizard
3. Follow on-screen instructions

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/272774-sony-vaio-model-vpcea45fg-restore-disk-2-not-reading.html
Relevancy 80.41%

hi B DVDs! CD-R ATA + Solved: DVD-ROM has ihas124 [ATAPI --- reading Device] stopped there for a while now my DVD ROM and CD-R drive has not been reading DVDs it kinda half-spins up the disks it Solved: DVD-ROM + CD-R has stopped reading DVDs! --- [ATAPI ihas124 B ATA Device] will sometimes read movie DVDs but i doubt it will anymore EDIT i just tried a movie DVD and it just crashed explorer for a minute then returned to being dormant as if it doesn t have a DVD in it CD functionality writing and reading has been fine the following is written in the device s properties in Device Manager it s listed as a quot ATAPI ihas B ATA Device quot This device is working properly Windows did not start a related device driver To learn more click the Driver tab and then click Driver Details Click to expand this was what i found when i followed the instructions img here i do not understand what this means a random thread i found suggested downloading the LITE-ON smartpack it automatically detected the driver and updated it to the latest version after the reboot windows detected a new device with the same name and installed a driver for it then it went back to it s usual failures feel free to request any information if it helps you solve my problem thank you to anyone who reads and helps many thanks TerrorTowers UPDATE the guys i got this system from call the drive a quot LG DVD -RW SATA Drive quot nbsp

A:Solved: DVD-ROM + CD-R has stopped reading DVDs! --- [ATAPI ihas124 B ATA Device]

If CD's are working, but not DVD's, the drive is faulty.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dvd-rom-cd-r-has-stopped-reading-dvds-atapi-ihas124-b-ata-device.1056943/
Relevancy 78.26%

I have a Sony VAIO It s three year old and is a good working laptop I couldn t get on the internet and I was timing out I ran my registry cleaner and Stopped Sony VAIO Server that didn t help Sony VAIO Server Stopped I have DSL and a router and my husband and son could both get on Somehow I stopped my VAIO Server There is an icon on the bottom right and usually it s red but now it s black and when I click on it it says servers stopped There is a start button but ultimately it says it server stopped After spending Sony VAIO Server Stopped all day on it my computer with help and so forth it just seemed not to recognize my internet connection and wouldn t let me make a new one because it said there was one So in my start menu I went to VAIO Corporation and it got on the internet I was able to open this page and go to any others and it s fast This happened last year before I bought my registry program I somehow stopped the server and I had to restore my computer with my restoration disks to get it back Sony VAIO Server Stopped Any suggestions for a computer illerate who really should stop messing around with her computer Thanks Mary nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sony-vaio-server-stopped.698759/
Relevancy 76.54%

I'm in the UK and have a Sony BDP-S300 Blu-ray disc player. I've just bought a high definition camcorder and will want to create Blu-ray discs of my HD projects. But I've been told that "home-made" Blu-ray discs won't play on my Sony Blu-ray players unless the player is modified by using some kind of unlocking code via the remote control. Can anybody please advise me on this? Many thanks.

A:Home-made Blu-ray disc incapatibility on Sony player

This is most likely caused by DVD Region Code conflicts:

Region Code Where It Plays

0 Any DVD Player

1 United States & Canada

2 UK, Europe, Japan, Middle East, Egypt, South Africa, Greenland

3 South East Asia

4 Mexico, South America, Central America, Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Caribbean

5 Former Soviet Union, Eastern Europe, India, most of Africa, North Korea, Mongolia

6 China

We might be able to unlock this feature but we need your remotes model number

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-made-blu-ray-disc-incapatibility-on-sony-player.97993/
Relevancy 74.39%

I have a new Sony VAIO notebook with windows XP Home installed, there are programs pre-installed that I need for some of the functions to operate correctly, however I want to upgrade to XP Pro, how do I do this?

Can I use a full professional version and will this upgrade, will it install over the top and lose my files or do I have to purchase the actual upgrade version of XP pro. Bearing in mind I already have a copy of XP Pro and would prefer not to pay another $120 for the upgrade package.

Thank you for your help

Jenn

Relevancy 74.39%

Does anyone know if my hard drive has had it?? In the middle of using a basic game and the screen went all weird. When shut down tried to start it again but it would not start up. Makes a funny crunching noise and then does nothing. No hard drive activity light. Absolutely nothing on screen at all on start up. Could it be anything else other than the hard drive.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks.

Adi.

A:Sony Vaio laptop xp home OS

Probably not; is it under warranty?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sony-vaio-laptop-xp-home-os.438461/
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi Friends I ve got a Sony Vaio RS that shipped with XP Home Edition I d like to upgrade to XP Professional which prompted me to check out Sony s support website Their support article indicated that I d need an XP Professional SP upgrade CD to successfully upgrade from Home Edition SP Apparently Sony customizes their XP installations which is evident in their statement that they don t thoroughly test all of the quot Windows updates quot and advise their Vaio customers to to Sony Edition XP Home SP1 Vaio on Pro XP only install updates from their Vaio support site Nonetheless I d like to upgrade from Home Edition to XP Pro however I m not sure that the XP Pro upgrade CD offered at say Amazon com or BestBuy is an XP Pro upgrade WITH Service Pack I m hesitant to purchase an off the shelf XP Pro upgrade CD and install it without knowing if SP is on the disc only because like most folks XP Home Edition SP1 to XP Pro on Sony Vaio my machine is running nice and smooth with many different apps installed To rebuild my Vaio would truly be a pain Any recommendations suggestions or knowledge about Vaio Home Edition upgrades to XP Pro would be much appreciated Also if you know where I can get an XP Pro Edition upgrade CD WITH SP please pass it on Many thanks Chris nbsp

A:XP Home Edition SP1 to XP Pro on Sony Vaio

I am having same problem with my Sony VAIO V505. After upgrading to Windows XP Pro it does not recognize the Ethernet and Network and USB controllers in device manager. Any Suggestions?

eagle2k said:

Hi Friends,

I've got a Sony Vaio RS520 that shipped with XP Home Edition. I'd like to upgrade to XP Professional which prompted me to check out Sony's support website. Their support article indicated that I'd need an XP Professional SP1 upgrade CD to successfully upgrade from Home Edition SP1.

Apparently, Sony customizes their XP installations which is evident in their statement that they don't thoroughly test all of the "Windows updates" and advise their Vaio customers to only install updates from their Vaio support site.

Nonetheless, I'd like to upgrade from Home Edition to XP Pro, however, I'm not sure that the XP Pro upgrade CD offered at say, Amazon.com or BestBuy is an XP Pro upgrade WITH Service Pack 1. I'm hesitant to purchase an off the shelf XP Pro upgrade CD and install it without knowing if SP1 is on the disc only because like most folks, my machine is running nice and smooth with many different apps installed. To rebuild my Vaio would truly be a pain.

Any recommendations, suggestions, or knowledge about Vaio Home Edition upgrades to XP Pro would be much appreciated. Also, if you know where I can get an XP Pro Edition upgrade CD WITH SP1 please pass it on. Many thanks.

ChrisClick to expand...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-home-edition-sp1-to-xp-pro-on-sony-vaio.246577/
Relevancy 73.53%

I got this Sony Vaio RS G from next door today Was given to me by owner cleaning place up the renters trashed I got ONLY the Sony Vaio RS G with no mouse or keyboard It boots Sony Vaio XP Edition RS620G on Home up but then locks up and Spybot says some reg file changed and ask to allow or deny Then Norton pops up about two of something bad Can not use mouse at all May because it has in control panel mouse controls for a MS mouse and I don t have that mouse I really do not know PC has lots XP Home Edition on Sony Vaio RS620G of junk on it Has SP and had Belarc Advisor on it too and it shows from MS Updates that it had last updates I think Was a DVD added to this also and had a DVD stuck in it and it was hard to get out Was a back up of of the two Profile s Documents folder I think Was going to look at it but around the center ring of the DVD is a sticky ring I think they backed it up and then it was stuck in the drive and that was it Some what nice tower with a lot of things on it Took long time to find out how to get to safe mode They say F but it s a boot menu but has ESC option and then if you press F again you get all the other start up options and I just got lucky and found that on my own So not sure what to do to try and clean this up I see also in the control panel quot Vaio Recovery Wizard quot Does this have everything to restore it back like new on the hard drive Be nice to try to clean this first so I can learn Also do not know if all hardware is the same Only guess but thing only another dvd rom was added and that was the one the dvd was also stuck in so not going to use it because I bet the drive is also sticky Then if I can get a mouse to work and clean up what ever is on the PC I can boot to safe mode and can go to the Admin and another account No password on them Then get the other junk and out dated junk off the PC If all fails and the quot Vaio Recovery Wizard quot can be used to restore then I say great Be nice to have this in the living room It can be my new sound system PC I also got free a Samsung n quot monitor Was easy to find the drivers for it too It s marked up so not the best looking screen and I need the clear type so it s more easy to see text Not very good options on adjustments but I can get by The boot screen you can see it cuts off the left side If you adjust for it then once at windows you got to adjust back He has one other monitor he said I can try out so will look later but think it s the same or close to it from looking at the top side Wow rebooted to safemode with network to see if I can get online but this time it was not the Admin account but other profile and I have the mouse working now Also when I boot to the normal windows it just boots up to desktop but in safe mode you have admin and other user In the user accounts I only see the other person listed and he is listed as Admin Can making a new user with admin rights help to get to normal windows I know lots of programs are in the start menu and looks like some that are listed are missing I download on the Sony PC Highjack This Malwarebytes Anti-Malware SUPERAntiSpyware but have key for SUPERAntiSpyware Professional if it lets me use it again nbsp

Relevancy 73.53%

Good Afternoon.

I have a BT Home Hub 2 router with a working internet connection. I'm using a different laptop on the same router to make this post.

Sadly however, I have another laptop which cannot browse the internet. It runs on Windows 7, can connect to the router fine, but get no intenet connection. Now oddly enough, I can connect to and download games from Steam, but I cannot browse to websites using IE or Firefox and I cannot connect to MSN messenger.

When I click on Troubleshoot in messenger it tells me:

"Your DNS appears unable to resolve IP adresses" and then...

When I click repair, it can't fix it.

If I right click on the connection and click on status, I see...

If I click on Details, I then see...

If I right click on the connection and click on Troubleshoot Problems, I get this...

Any help is appeciated.

Relevancy 72.24%

Hi there For a number of months now my Mum and Dad's computer has been playing up and randomly reseting itself even when not being worked hard or getting - VAIO Problems Home Desktop Edition XP Sony Windows too hot For example just now my Dad was typing out an email and had just sent it off and it switched off and flipped back to Sony VAIO Desktop - Windows XP Home Edition Problems the Windows Startup Sony VAIO Desktop - Windows XP Home Edition Problems screen It doesn't appear to be related to any particular type of software either since I have been able to multitask on it myself using Windows Media Player and a number of IE windows whereas when my Mum or Dad have been on it they have been using very little power from what I can gather only using IE window at a time and using Microsoft Outlook on the odd occasion The specification of the computer is as follows Windows XP Home SP Ghz Pentium processor GB DDR SDRAM MB Geforce MX Graphics Card GB HDD connected via IDE DVD-Rom CDRW As you can probably tell this is an old machine bought in and so is well out of it's warranty Are there any replacement parts which need to be added to make it more stable or would it be best to do a complete rebuild of the system ie reinstall Windows Cheers Andy

A:Sony VAIO Desktop - Windows XP Home Edition Problems

if money is not a problem upgrade
get a can of air and blow the dust out paying paticular attention around the fans and heatsinks
post what the bios lists for temps and voltages
always include the power supply in your specs they are not much use without it

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/sony-vaio-desktop-windows-xp-home-edition-problems-181020.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi there For a number Windows - Desktop Auto-Reset? VAIO Home Sony XP of months now my Mum and Dad s computer has been playing up and randomly reseting itself even Sony VAIO Desktop - Windows XP Home Auto-Reset? when not being worked hard or getting too hot For example just now my Dad was typing out an email and had just sent it off and it Sony VAIO Desktop - Windows XP Home Auto-Reset? switched off and flipped back to the Windows Startup screen It doesn t appear to be related to any particular type of software either since I have been able to multitask on it myself using Windows Media Player and a number of IE windows whereas when my Mum or Dad have been on it they have been using very little power from what I can Sony VAIO Desktop - Windows XP Home Auto-Reset? gather only using IE window at a time and using Microsoft Outlook on the odd occasion The specification of the computer is as follows Windows XP Home SP Ghz Pentium processor GB DDR SDRAM MB Geforce MX Graphics Card GB HDD connected via IDE DVD-Rom CDRW One other thing which I have noticed is that the Memory Stick slot is failing is this likely to be something software related or something actually physically wrong with the slot As you can probably tell this is an old machine bought in and so is well out of it s warranty Are there any replacement parts which need to be added to make it more stable or would it be best to do a complete rebuild of the system ie reinstall Windows Cheers Andy nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sony-vaio-desktop-windows-xp-home-auto-reset.617400/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello Everyone I just recently started having problems with my Sony Laptop not booting It would stop loading on the MS windows green loading bars then hang up I would have to Vista 2 Vaio boot Sony duo Home x64 won't premium - core turn the power off as alt ctrl delete would not reset Upon restarting Vista Home premium x64 won't boot - Sony Vaio core 2 duo I would be given option to go into safe mode or boot normally If I chose safe mode it would boot andbe fine if I performed a full shutdown It would then work for a while but at times it would freeze if the computer would be left idle I turned off power saver to prevent power down but on the last few forced shut downs I would not even get the option to go to safe mode When it would not boot in safe mode I had to do a complele system restore I do not have the option to repair windows as vista came installed on my laptop Sony Vaio VGN-FW J I would restore the whole system reinstall programs then back up It would be fine for a while but eventually freeze during a reboot I tried disconnecting from the network tried different browsers to see if anything specific was causing a problem I reinstalled the OS up to SP and did not allow updates to see if a update caused the problem but the last crash happened anyway I've also run check disk but it doesn't find any problems or bad sectors Could a hardware problem with the optical drive cause this type of issue How can I tell Given I've restored the OS to the original factory settings times in the last month I'm open to any suggestions As you probably can tell I am by no means a computer expert Please keep any suggestions simple and assume I don't know what I'm doing Thank you in advance for any help you can provide

A:Vista Home premium x64 won't boot - Sony Vaio core 2 duo

Hi

This could be a problem with your RAM, or with your Motherboard (blown caps) but the Optical Drive cant cause any errors without a disc.

Did you install any new devices or programs right before this?

Josh

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/302841-vista-home-premium-x64-wont-boot-sony-vaio-core-2-duo.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Can't remember the password to login. I have tried the tutorial in this forum. I started with the second tutorial in Option one. It reqires a boot up in the WinRe. I used F8 on startup to boot into the recovery partition. In step 4 it asks for the password of either the user or the admin. That is the problem, we don't have either one. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

A:Lost Password Sony Vaio Windows 7 Home Premium

Perhaps this will be of some help: Change Your Forgotten Windows Password with the Linux System Rescue CD

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/280990-lost-password-sony-vaio-windows-7-home-premium.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I am currently working on a pc and in need of a copy of the Sony Vaio OEM version of Windows Vista Home Premium. I can't do anything with this laptop til I have a copy due to the amount of viruses it's also missing System files. I can't access Windows in safe mode either.

There is also no recovery drives on this laptop and the user does not have recovery media also.

If someone can tell me where to get a copy that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A:[SOLVED] Need copy of Sony Vaio OEM Windows Vista Home Premium!!

Contact Sony, manufacturers will usually sell replacement disks for around $20.

Are you sure it does not have a recovery partition?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-need-copy-of-sony-vaio-oem-windows-vista-home-premium-515317.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi,

I bought a new Sony Vaio laptop (Model: VPCF12A4E) from Germany. It installed windows 7 home premium on it when I first turned it on without any CD. Something went wrong after a year or so and the only way out was to re-install the operating system. I did get it re-installed but the new one is 32 bits and they dont have the original 64 bits one.

Is there any way the original windows 7 home premium can be installed? Because if it installed initially without any CD, then it must be stored somewhere inside the pc.
Thanks.

A:Help: Re-installing factory supplied windows 7 home premium 64 bits in Sony Vaio

When you first turn on a new laptop , Windows is already installed effectively. All that's left to do is for the owner to enter a few details, choose an account name and a few other configurations. That's not the same as installing Windows, the actual installation is done at the factory.

However, most new laptops are supplied with a Factory Recovery Partition (instead of a recovery disc) which is usually hidden but can be seen (though you can't browse through it's content) in
Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management.

This Recovery can usually be invoked in Windows (have a look in Start >> All Programs, and look for Vaio Recovery Center.

Alternatively, ifWindows is badly screwed up, you can usually invoke Recovery by pressing a specific key when the Sony splash-screen appears. Read the user manual for info on how to do this as I've never owned a Vaio and all makes are different in this respect.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-re-installing-factory-supplied-windows-7-home-premium-64-bits-in-sony-vaio.1024269/
Relevancy 69.66%

Good morning I have a years and a half old Sony VAIO computer with windows home The computer was working properly until a month ago or such Sure maybe a bit slow since it's a bit old already yet it was working quite FRST 7 LOGS vaio wont Sony power after interrupted boot home windows decently Unfortunately one month ago the computer ran out of energy while it was starting when Windows was initializing When I tried to turn it on once again I discovered it would go into an infinite loop trying to restore Windows without success I tried restarting it in every single mode yet it wouldn't happen I tried to fix the error by using f and guiding myself by the assistance of the computer but did was a failure as well All I managed to achieve was to make a scan with FRST I would appreciate any help advice on what to do next Here are the logs Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST txt x Version - - Ran by SYSTEM on MININT-TP Q S on - - Running from G Platform WIN X OS Language Espa ol Espa a internacional Boot Mode Recovery The current controlset is ControlSet ATTENTION gt If the system is bootable FRST must be run from normal or Safe mode to create a complete log Tutorial for Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST Tutorial - How to use Farbar Recovery Scan Tool - Malware Removal Guides and Tutorials Registry Whitelisted If an entry is included in the fixlist the registry item will be restored to default or removed The file will not be moved HKLM Winlogon Userinit HKLM-x Winlogon Userinit X HKLM Winlogon Shell lt ATTENTION HKLM-x Winlogon Shell lt ATTENTION HKLM InprocServer Default-wbemess ATTENTION gt Sony vaio windows 7 home wont boot after interrupted power FRST LOGS ZeroAccess HKLM D A F F InprocServer Default-fastprox ATTENTION gt ZeroAccess HKU Matteo Run msnmsgr gt quot C Program Files x MSN Messenger MsnMsgr Exe quot background HKU Matteo Run Easy Driver Pro gt C Program Files x Probit Software Easy Driver Pro DPLauncher exe - - Probit Software HKU Matteo Run AVG-Secure-Search-Update b gt C Users Matteo AppData Roaming AVG b Campaign AVG-Secure-Search-Update- b exe PROMPT mid d a d fd c df ed bd - ff cf b dcf ffd ee a e CMPID b HKU Matteo Run Voobly gt quot C Program Files x Voobly voobly exe quot --startup Services Whitelisted If an entry is included in the fixlist the service will be removed from the registry The file will not be moved unless listed separately S ACDaemon C Program Files x Common Files ArcSoft Connection Service Bin ACService exe - - ArcSoft Inc S c cautoupdatesvc C Program Files x Skype Toolbars AutoUpdate SkypeC CAutoUpdateSvc exe - - Microsoft Corporation S c cpnrsvc C Program Files x Skype Toolbars PNRSvc SkypeC CPNRSvc exe - - Microsoft Corporation S ESRV SVC C Program Files Sony VAIO Care ESRV esrv svc exe - - Intel Corporation S Roxio UPnP Renderer C Program Files x Roxio Digital Home RoxioUPnPRenderer exe - - Sonic Solutions S Roxio Upnp Server C Program Files x Roxio Digital Home RoxioUpnpService exe - - Sonic Solutions S SampleCollector C Program Files Sony VAIO Care VCPerfService exe - - Intel Corporation S uCamMonitor C Program Files x ArcSoft Magic-i Visual Effects uCamMonitor exe - - ArcSoft Inc S USER ESRV SVC C Program Files Sony VAIO Care ESRV esrv svc exe - - Intel Corporation S VAIO Entertainment TV Device Arbitration Service C Program Files x Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Entertainment Platform VzHardwareResourceManager VzHardwareResourceManager VzHardwareResourceManager exe - - Sony Corporation S VCFw C Program Files x Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Content Folder Watcher VCFw exe - - Sony Corporation S VUAgent C Program Files Sony VAIO Update vuagent exe - - Sony Corporation S B-Service C Users Matteo Downloads B-Service exe X Drivers Whitelisted If an entry is included in the fixlist the service will be removed from the registry The file will not be moved unless listed separately S ArcSoftKsUFilter C Windows System DRIVERS ArcSoftKsUFilter sys - - ArcSoft Inc S Lbd C Windows System DRIVERS... Read more

Relevancy 66.22%

Hi,
I am hoping you can help me with my problem.
My main laptop (Sony Vaio VPCCB15FG) in the last week just stopped accessing the internet via WiFi.
It says it has Limited Acess but I have no idea how to fix it.

The other 3 computers in the house (Custom desktop, Toshiba Net book, Samsung Laptop) can all access the internet as normal.

It is only the Sony that is being problomatic.
It is also running rather slow for the spec so that may be related.

Please help! I am not super computer savy so please give simple instructions.

Cheers

GTNeil

A:Sony Vaio Laptop "stopped" connecting to WiFi connection " Limited acc

Hi,

My name is Riyaz and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell.

I May be able to provide you with a Resolution. Please post the Specifications of this computer. Mainly the Wireless Card and the Type of Operating System your using.

Regards
Riyaz

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/236639-sony-vaio-laptop-stopped-connecting-wifi-connection-limited-acc.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi Folks, This is my first post. so go easy on me;-)

I switched on my PC after 1 year of no use(apple imac distracted me for a while).
The message "operating system not found" appears when it boots up. I put in the Sony Recovery disk, bit it could not read it. As Sony didn't provide a spare copy of XP, how do I get back up and running? Do I have to change the motherboard battery? any advice much appreciated.

I Hope you Christmas is Merry and peaceful.

Cheers,
Dryfly

A:Sony Vaio Desktop PCV-RX305 Windows XP now missing, no disks supplied by Sony

Call Sony Tech Support if you are the registered owner or buyer. They will provide a disk set for a small fee ($27) for six years after purchase, or until they run out.
Your only other choice is to buy the disk online at some place like ebay, or buy Windows Home (still available for $82) or Windows XP Professional for $135.
The motherboard battery should not be bad, but if it is, you can get a replacement (CR2032) at Wal-Mart ofr $3.67 or on eBay for $2.58.
The recovery disk may be good, and it is your optical drive that has gone bad.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sony-vaio-desktop-pcv-rx305-windows-xp-now-missing-no-disks-supplied-by-sony.140193/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi Guys
i have SONY VAIO VPCEB4C5E,
After Having Liquid Spilled on my Screen, it was not working for few hours,
then i took to local repair and they did it worked, so everything is working fine. However i doubt that, when i press Power Button, it tooks about 7-8 seconds to start loading SONY LOGO and then WINDOWS 7 comes up, as i remember, Before it got spilled, and prev time, on pressing power button, it was loading LOGO immediately max 1-1.5 sec, i'm afraid.

This is happening at shutdown as well, after pressing shutdown, firstly a Black screen appear for a few seconds and then my vaio is shutting down., I guess there is something changed in Bios, maybe by Local repairers.

Please be advised, Thanks, Levan.

A:SONY VAIO Slows At Start Up, Before SONY Logo Loads.

If I'm understanding correctly, your Vaio is taking about 7-8 seconds longer to start. At shutdown you're getting a black screen and it's taking a few seconds longer than what you're used to. But is everything else in between (opening programs, searching on the internet, etc) working OK?

If it is, my first reaction is to say don't worry about it. I have a VPCEB47GM and it takes about 10 seconds for the Sony logo to appear and about 50 seconds total to be able to use Windows 7. On shutdown I usually get a black screen for about 5 seconds but the rest of the shutdown process takes about 30 seconds to finish.

Do you know what your BIOS settings were before you took the machine into the repair shop? If you do, you could compare them to how the BIOS is set now. But if you don't know how the BIOS was originally configured, I wouldn't be changing anything.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/237958-sony-vaio-slows-start-up-before-sony-logo-loads.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi Guys
i have SONY VAIO VPCEB4C5E,
After Having Liquid Spilled on my Screen, it was not working for few hours,
then i tool to local repair and they did it worked, so everything is working fine. However i doubt that, when i press Power Button, it tooks about 7-8 seconds to start loading SONY LOGO and then WINDOWS 7 comes up, as i remember, Before it got spilled, and prev time, on pressing power button, it was loading LOGO immediately max 1-1.5 sec, i'm afraid.

This is happening at shutdown as well, after pressing shutdown, firstly a Black screen appear for a few seconds and then my vaio is shutting down., I guess there is something changed in Bios, maybe by Local repairers.

Please be advised, Thanks, Levan.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/sony-vaio-slows-at-start-up-before-sony-logo-loads-653161.html
Relevancy 63.64%

I'd like to reinstall Windows 98 on a Sony Vaio N505VE, but it requires a Sony CD drive. When I purchased the laptop 4 years ago, it came with a Backpack CD-Rom Drive. A few months ago, I researched online and I seem to recall a website that gave instructions on how to reinstall Win98 without the Sony drive, but I can't find it anymore. Does anyone know how I can do this?

Thanks,
Lisa

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sony-vaio-requires-sony-cd-drive-to-reinstall-win98.141896/
Relevancy 62.78%

I don't know whether the W forums are the right place for this question but I hope someone can redirect me I have about DVDs which back up my photographs They were burned between and early in Win XP Pro x using Nero v They were burned as data discs not photo discs The files are almost all in TIF PSD or Camera Raw format I can XP can't DVDs W7 in made x86 x64 read in read them i e open them in Photoshop in my XP computer I can read them in Windows x in a VMWare virtual machine But I can't read them in W x The drive is a Pioneer DVR- DBK and I've installed the latest firmware It isn't malfunctioning I can install programs from DVDs CDs and I can write DVDs CDs Searching online I found can't read DVDs made in XP x86 in W7 x64 a program named Iso Burner from which I can slowly and laboriously 'run' individual files i e open them in PS but I need to be able can't read DVDs made in XP x86 in W7 x64 to see the contents in Bridge Can I do this if I a buy a DVD drive that supports older formats or b move the DVD drive that wrote the discs to my W machine or c download drivers from or d buy the latest version of Nero which I hoped to avoid I hardly use DVDs for backup any more Thanks Mary

A:can't read DVDs made in XP x86 in W7 x64

move the drive! I have had this same sort of problem with my pioneer dvr 110D. Burning on a dvd, then putting it in my liteon. Would show as a used-up blank cd, a coaster basically, when i knew it wasnt. Therefore i dont burn much with the pioneer sadly. Tho since i have the liteon, i havent been to pioneer to see about a firmware fix.

That would be my first suggestion is the firmware. Make sure other optical drives are disconnected before attempting to upgrade the pioneer firmware. If that doesnt work, then yea, i would switch out the drives. I would bet $20 on that pony.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/6934-cant-read-dvds-made-xp-x86-w7-x64.html
Relevancy 62.35%

hey what program and or program do i have to use to extract a movie from a dvd without it being huge. i see all these movie that are like 600mb in like avi format.??? and how do i get around the copyright crap also?

A:Ripping dvds made easy!

dvd shrink and dvd decrypter are popular free programs

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ripping-dvds-made-easy.58512/
Relevancy 61.92%

Vaio Care & Vaio Sat Survey.exe has stopped working

A:Vaio Care & Vaio Sat Survey.exe has stopped working

Welcome to TSF

Look this over plz
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f217...ng-278257.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vaio-care-and-vaio-sat-survey-exe-has-stopped-working-396143.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I am receiving these two error messages when I start up my computer, saying that "a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." (I have NOT been notified by Windows.)

Are these two programs important? What are they for/What do they do?

More importantly, what needs to be done to correct the problems? Is there an email address/help desk where Sony can be contacted about this?

I am a novice, so please keep any responses "user friendly".

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to TSF

Look this over
http://www.techsupportforum.com/micr...d-working.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vaio-care-and-vaio-sat-survey-exe-has-stopped-working-351739.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I am receiving these two error messages when I start up my computer, saying that "a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." (I have NOT been notified by Windows.)

hi and welcome can you get a fresh copy from sony support website download remove the present install then install new copy

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vaio-care-and-vaio-sat-survey-exe-has-stopped-working-402010.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi there,

I am using a Sony PD 170 DV camcorder hooked up via 4 pin firewire to a Sony Vaio laptop. I am also using Avid Composer video editing software. The problem is that I can see the video from Avid in the viewfinder but it freezes in the viewfinder even though it is playing on the computer. This is preventing me from outputting a project. Do I need a driver for this camera?

Thanks,
Paul

Relevancy 61.92%

This is the first time contacting Sony support. After waiting for over 1/2 hour, finally a person comes online. I spend another 20 minutes giving him name, address, etc and then I find out that it is "paid support".

After an online chat and trying to contact Sony support, maybe the only solution is to trash the Sony Notebook and buy a Dell. Does Dell still provide support?
The problem is "no sound from the computer". I have spent 4 hrs this morning downloading and checking for updates to all the sound drivers.

Any suggestions?

A:No sound Sony Vaio and No Sony Support

I hear the same complaints from Dell users on the Dell forum and from users of other brands. They are all equally lousy on support or want you to pay for it. e.g. "software" support on a Dell is separate from any warrnty or maintenance contract which only covers hardware. You get "free" software support for the first 30 days only.

Back to the sound problem. We need more info to try and assist. e.g. what sound do you have (if you know), etc. You didn't fill out all the needed System Specs. What have you tried? e.g. have you checked the Control Panel/Hardware and Sound and finally the Sound panel to see if your "speakers" (sound card) is set as the default playback device?

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/165429-no-sound-sony-vaio-no-sony-support.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Whenever I try putting a DVD into my DVD CD-RW drive it doesnt read it Its as though I haven t put anything in there - in My Computer it doesnt show that a disc is inserted I have tried using all different programs Not reading DVDs like VLC Windows Media Player and PowerDVD but it just tells me to insert a disc Not reading DVDs I have even tried inserting a DVD that has already been viewed on the computer before but it still doesnt work which means that at some point something was changed or altered Although Not reading DVDs It does still read Audio CD s It Not reading DVDs is an Acer Veriton and I have had it for about years This problem began about months ago just guessing but I have not tried to resolve it until now because now I want to play games that are on DVD discs I didnt really watch DVDs on the computer I just use the TV The reason while Im guessing it was about five months ago is because for a while I only inserted other CD s like Audio CD s and no DVD s could this be a part of the problem Any help would be appreciated I would guess its happened to many other people so there should be a way to fix it somehow Thanks for reading D nbsp

Relevancy 60.63%

hi. I have some educational dvds .my pc not reading SOME dvds. same dvd's work fine in my laptop. any idea guys? message on screen when hoovering mouse on cd drive in my computor menu.....
Free Space: 0 bytes
Total Size: 0 bytes
when i put same dvd in my laptop it shows Total Size: 2.6 GB and dvd works fine,
thanks guys
PS; SOME DVD WORK FINE IN MY PC BUT DON'T

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/300957/pc-not-reading-some-dvds/
Relevancy 60.63%

Running Windows Vista on Compaq Presario.

When a dvd movie is inserted HP DVD Play freezes until disc is ejected. When trying to access discs in windows explorer, windows explorer freezes until the disc is ejected. I already uninstalled and reinstalled drive as well as ide controllers, and changed the ribbon cable.

The dvd drive stopped reading discs and was replaced with a brand new unit which has the same problem. Device manager shows dvd drive is working properly.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-r-not-reading-cds-or-dvds.738784/
Relevancy 59.77%

I noticed this a few minutes ago, I just got finished watching a movie, and was putting music on when I was about to load World of Warcraft, I brought up winamp with the tracks from the CD that I had saved to my playlist, and it'd skip right over them to the next track I'd saved on my hard drive, I'd tried deleting the filters as I'd seen in other threads, and even shutting down, unplugging it, and re-plugging it back into my power supply, but still to no avail.

Does anyone have any tips on how to remedy my problem?

A:CD/DVD RW Drive is reading DVDs, but not CDs

1. How old's the drive (if it came with the machine, how old is the machine)
2. Does it not play ANY CDs of ANY kind? (software but not music, etc etc)
3. Do these CDs work on other machines?
4. Can you burn CDs (if you have the ability)?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/133467-cd-dvd-rw-drive-reading-dvds-but-not-cds.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello The CD DVD RW drive in my XP computer no longer recognizes or plays any of my disks The problem persists after rebooting several times reinstalling the drivers and using the Microsoft Fixit program Microsoft Fixit says there is a problem and can t fix it but Device Manager says that the drives are operating properly I have also tried the registry fix solution called Problem DVDs reading CDs and quot cdgone quot which was included in a previous TSG posting about a similar problem but that doesn t work either Can this problem be fixed with a software solution or would it be better to buy a new drive Thanks for your help I have pasted in the TSG SysInfo file below Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack bit Processor AMD Athlon tm Processor x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce LE Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Dell Inc UT Antivirus AntiVir Desktop Problem reading CDs and DVDs Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 59.77%

Hi,

I own a dell xps L501x. My dvd player is not reading any dvd movies, disc with data.. and etc. It reads cd though. I insert a blank dvd, it reads the blank dvd and ask me what i want to do. But if i insert a dvd with things on it, it would not read it. If i click on the dvd drive, after awhile my dvd tray will eject and pops up a message asking me to insert a dvd.

I check the driver, and it says everything is working properly. I went on dell website and did a dell hardware diagnosed and everyhting passed.

Any advice?

thanks

A:My dvd player is not reading dvds

Hello pandatera Welcome to the Seven Forums!

It's unfortunate but a reality that the optical drives in portables like laptops tend to wear faster then drives in desktops. The construction of the drives used is partially the blame for this.

One of the first best ideas however is to use a lens cleaner in cd form to see if that will help any. Plus with any portable unit the drives are exposed to more dust and dirt then what you would expect to see build up on a desktop system.

A good lens cleaner and more frequent use of usb flash drives for data transfers will save on the wear and tear the optical will see. That can help keep the drive in working shape quite a bit longer then being in constant use. The other thing to consider if the problems are still being seen after a cleaning would be to check the cable going to the drive in case that loosen up any from vibration of being moved around. A loose data cable won't help you any.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/267695-my-dvd-player-not-reading-dvds.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi,

My DVD drive will only play regular DVDs (ie movies).

When I put in any game DVD it tries to autoplay but only displays an empty explorer window and I can only eject the disc during a restart ( before the bootup completes).

I thought this was a problem with the drive itself and also wanted to upgrade to a DVD buner, so I bought a new one today (Sony AW-G170A). I've just installed it and when I insert a game DVD that same thing happens.

CDs (audio & data) work fine.

I have a dell dimension 8400, P4 HT, 1 gig of RAM.

(I also use Deamon tools. Not sure if this is an issue. I have uninstalled it but it makes no difference)

A:DVD Drive Only reading AV DVDs

dvdrw need to be on a 80 wire ide cable on the end plug jumpered as master
put your other drive as slave to the middle plug
cd's use a different laser to the dvd's
are the games retail disks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dvd-drive-only-reading-av-dvds-140046.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I have a SONY Optiarc s SATA DVD drive When I got it it used to have a few problems reading a few burned DVDs but pressed DVDs used to work fine A year ago I got Win Ultimate x Drive not DVD DVDs reading and there seemed to be no problem with pressed DVDs for a long time But it has suddenly stopped recognising any kind of DVD now When I insert a pressed burned DVD it just says quot Please insert a disk in DVD Drive not reading DVDs drive E quot All CDs pressed burned still work perfectly Only DVDs are not being read I also installed Ubuntu via WUBI to DVD Drive not reading DVDs check if it was a Windows issue but DVDs are not working in Ubuntu either As for drivers I DVD Drive not reading DVDs m using the default Windows driver according to the Device Manager DVDs DID work for so long with this driver I searched for official firmware for my drive and the one I downloaded http www sony-optiarc us en support-service downloads fw dvd-writer-ad-series html gave me an error saying No matched drive detected This utility is only for Optiarc DVD RW Ad- S drive Detected drives - - - F - - - E Click to expand The DVD drive in question is the E drive The above mentioned firmware setup had worked in Win XP x Please help nbsp

Relevancy 59.77%

Hi all, there are some problems on my Dvd-ROM drive.... my dvd rom appearently can read movies i bought ... but unable to read data dvds.... i put he data dvds into my dvd burner and it works fine... the reason i want my dvd rom to work is so i can copy dvd to dvd... any thoughts ...?

Spec: dvd set to region 1, win xp, the dvd rom in question LG DRD8160B,

Thanks

A:Problem Reading DvDs

why don't you try going to your device mgr ,double clicking on cdrom ,this will open it ,right click on the dvd drive ,click remove ,restart your computer. this will let windows hardware wizard reinstall your drive. i had this problem a year ago and it worked for me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-reading-dvds.356028/
Relevancy 59.77%

hi,

My TEAC DV-W50D (firmware is already updated) DVD doesn't read anymore blank DVDs, it reads normal DVDs, CDs, blank and written, but when I insert a blank DVD, the icon of the DVD becomes a CD, and when I try to read my DVD, it sais that there is nothing inside the DVD.
Where should I start to look for the problems?
thank you!

A:no more reading of blank DVDs!?!?!

I don't know what operating system you are using. WinXP doesn't inherently support burning DVD's and you need an add in program like Roxio and others. I notice that you say it doesn't recognized blank DVD's "anymore". Did it ever do so and if so did you change anything?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-more-reading-of-blank-dvds.264221/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi,
i am having problems with my dvd drive it is a Phillips DVDRW DVD8631.
I have tried everything i can think of, there are no problems stated on the control panel.
When inserting a dvd or cd it doesnt sound like it is spinning properly... i bought a lens cleaner just in case it was that but i can't even operate this as it doesnt recognise anything is in the drive..

if anyone has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate some help!!! if you need to know anything else please let me know..

Thanks
Roe

A:Dvd Drive Not Reading Cds Or Dvds

Have you gone to the manufacturers website, and updated to the latest drivers for that drive?Have you tried going into the Device Manager, uninstall the player, reboot, and see if windows will recognize it?Were there any error messages?If so, what was the exact error message?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/72082/dvd-drive-not-reading-cds-or-dvds/
Relevancy 59.77%

tried other DVDs and CDs but it wont read them. I did not make any hardware changes but I did stop a removable disk by mistake but it loaded back when I started up again. I dont know if it matters but when i use the DVD drive short cut that I put on my desktop it says it is looking for the DVD drive. But when I use the DVD drive icon in my Computer it says to insert a disk. When I check hardware manager it says drive is working properly. Any other suggestions

A:DVD Drive not reading DVDs

Forum Rules: Don't post duplicate threads.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-drive-not-reading-dvds.816781/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi, I am using windows XP on my 3 yr old acer aspire 5551 laptop.
the dvd r/w drive was working fine reading writing dvds / cds until recently...
now its reading and writing all dvds perfectly. however, all home burnt cds are being recognized as either blank cds or music cds and no files are displayed (except the default track).
this is happening only for cds i have burnt myself (these cds used to work perfectly few months back and work perfectly in other machines even now). cds bought commercially have no issues.

any idea what the issue is? n how can i solve it???

Ps. i have recently reinstalled my OS also, but the issue persists.
Is this possibly some virus?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-r-w-drive-reading-dvds-but-not-cds.811616/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi,

Since I went to win8 my DVD drive does not read dvd's that I formated (in XP) & copied files in them, although they are read by the Vista Laptop's drive.

It reads program DVDs, even the ones I backed up in dvd's (formated in XP) of my own.

I noted that the DVD drive ist shown in win explorer if you click on "computer" but, not shown among the system drives, unless a program dvd is inserted.

Can you solve my mystery please.

Home build, Asus P5K Premium WiFiiFi Intel,
Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 95W 2.4GHz, OCZ Vendetta Cpu Cooler,
2x2GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 800 (400mhz) PC2-6400,
EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX KO 512MB GDDR3 (PCI-E),
Seagate Barraguda sata 250gb, Corsair TX750M Psu, X45, XPhome/Win8

A:DVD drive not reading DVDs

Is the driver for the DVD loaded? Since this home built system. When you put in pre-recorded store purchased DVDs does it read those. What software are you using to read the DVDs. Try VLC make sure you have the video/audio codecs loaded for that Windows 8 box.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-drive-not-reading-dvds.197362/
Relevancy 59.77%

I have a dell Dimension 5150, and somewhere in the past 2 years it stopped reading dvd's, just cd's... (i did not have access to the computer but other people did) and no one knows why... how can i get it to read/burn dvd's again?

its the original burner that came with the computer

thanks for any help.

A:DVD drive not reading dvds

Tell us everything you (or anyone else) did right before this started happening. It's almost impossible to troubleshoot any problem without this information.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dvd-drive-not-reading-dvds-374025.html
Relevancy 59.77%

It reads CDs fine but whenever I put a DVD in the drive it sounds like it's attempting to read for about a minute, then nothing happens. When I double click on the DVD drive in My Computer it says "Please insert a disk into drive F:."

Any ideas?

Relevancy 59.77%

my drive is not recognizing dvds all of a sudden? it reads cds, I dont understand I have powerdvd program has worked before spins and stops thing, not with reg cds though.

A:cd/dvd drive not reading dvds

What is the make/model of your DVD Drive?

http://www.vistax64.com/software/285117-cd-dvd-drive-not-reading-dvds.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi there I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with windows and the DVD drive is not working at all I have tried with brand new DVDs music CDs any My reading CD/DVDs drive not DVD Help! is and video games and none of them work When I put in a disc there are a few Help! My DVD drive is not reading any CD/DVDs wurring noises but nothing loads up When I click on the drive in Computer the drive opens and tells me to insert a disc In properties and Device Manager it says the device is working properly I have tried reinstalling the drive deleting upper and lower filters and I have run the Windows Fixit program and nothing has worked so far My drive is TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L C ATA Device My computer is about a year old and is completely standard I have hardly used the DVD driver at all since I purchased the computer so I have no idea how it could have broke Please give me any solutions which may fix this frustrating problem Thanks

A:Help! My DVD drive is not reading any CD/DVDs

Lidmania,
Welcome to SevenForums.

Fix problems with CD or DVD drives that can

Microsoft Fix it Solution Center: troubleshooting software issues

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/245318-help-my-dvd-drive-not-reading-any-cd-dvds.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Howdy y'all. I have a Packard Bell Easynote laptop and have not made any modifications to it since I got it. Recently, my DVD-ROM drive just decided it no longer wanted to read DVDs. Data and Music CDs are fine, and work without hassle or skip, but DVDs aren't even recognised. Device manager says it's working fine so I'm stumped!
Ideas ladies and gents?
P.S. This is not too urgent, I have other means of DVD watching.

Relevancy 59.77%

I'm using an ASUS X54C laptop, Windows 7. For some reason my CD drive will not read/start any CD Rom programs or a DVD. I never had this issue before. Before this happened, I sent in my laptop for repair 1 month ago at Geek Squad/Best Buy due to a Blue Sceen error and now I recently discovered this just today. Not sure if they had anything to do with it or not, but I'm just speculating.

I did take a look in my device manager and it seemed to be a problem relating to a DVD driver. Anything I can do to resolve this?

A:Laptop not reading CDs/DVDs

Looks like Windows doesn't like whatever driver is installed for your drive. You can try finding the drivers for your DVD drive and reinstalling them. You could also have Windows try and find the right drivers for you by going back to the Device Manager > DVD/CD-ROM drives > Right-Click on the drive > Properties > Driver > Update Driver > Search automatically for updated driver software.

Evidently, Microsoft has an app that is for DVD/CD-ROM driver issues. Check it out at your own risk: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-not-reading-cds-dvds.187258/
Relevancy 59.77%

hi,

My DVD-ROM (HL-DT-ST- DVD-ROM GDR8161B) is not reading DVDs, but it reads CDs, My computer is Compaq presario 6171, OS Windows XP. it was reading DVDs before. but gradually it stoped reading DVDs (both software and Movies). pls help me.

Thanks

Sudheer.

A:My DVD is not reading DVDs , but it reads CDs

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Please would you take a few moments to read this post. A message for all newcomers. Thanks.

In answer to your problem. Your dvd rom`s laser is dying. Hence the gradual decrease in your dvd rom`s performance.

You need to replace your dvd rom. They`re only cheap, and this will undoubtedly solve your problem.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-dvd-is-not-reading-dvds-but-it-reads-cds.32758/
Relevancy 59.77%

I received Dual-layer DVDs from my customer that were recorded using UDF using a RImage system He claimed that on his Windows XP Service Pack machine he could read of the DVDs but not the other However on my Windows XP Service Pack machine I was able to read both DVDs After some searching and research on Google and Tech Guys the issue seems to be related to UDF DVDs Problem Reading DLA On my Windows machine if I disable Problem Reading UDF DVDs DLA I see the same problem that my customer sees I cannot read the one DVD However I am still able to successfully read the second DVD My questions why does DLA have anything to do with reading DVDs I thought DLA was related to writing DVDs From everything that I have read Windows XP Service Pack should be able to read UDF DVDs Why do I have to have DLA enabled to read the first DVD And why am I able to read the second DVD regardless of whether DLA is enabled or not nbsp

Relevancy 59.77%

My laptop was working fine until I put in a music CD and windows wouldn't read it.I tried with several other CDs but they wouldn't work either. Then I tried a DVD and it played fine! Any ideas of whats going on? I'm using a Compaq r3440ca laptop, and its fairly new

Relevancy 59.77%

Hi First of all I ve read countless number of topics on this problem but seems like everyone says check if DMA is enabled in Device Manager Mine is For all drives The problem is when DVD CD is read burned etc my computer starts to extremely lag I can hardly do anything and for example installing a game such as Mirrors Edge takes few hours Also when I m playing music on my PC and my drive is reading a DVD music slows down It s the same with movies one frame in about seconds I have never had this problem before it happened suddenly I changed DVD drive but still the PC lagging when DVDs/CDs reading same problem So I PC lagging when reading DVDs/CDs guess the problem is in hardware or drivers But I tried unistalling those with no results I also checked all connectors and everything seems to be fine Oh and I also re-installed windows stupid amount of times normally I use Windows XP like right now but I also purchased a copy of Vista and tried Widnows beta The problem is still there Any ideas Thanks My specs Core Duo CPU GHz GB RAM GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTS Windows XP Home Edition mobo Abit AB Pro nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-lagging-when-reading-dvds-cds.817571/
Relevancy 59.34%

Noticed how my laptop freezes once in a while. I have 2GB of memory and I only have a web browser open and a word document. yet it still freezes for a bit... Then it will come back. Any ideas?

TIA
Mike

A:Win 7 on Sony SONY VAIO VGN-NR123E

Hi mcastill66, welcome to the forums, make sure all your drivers are up to date , also when was the last time you cleaned the fan inlet and exhaust apertures , a quick burst of a can of compressed air works wonders

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/95584-win-7-sony-sony-vaio-vgn-nr123e.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello,
Both my DVD drives dont seem to recongnize any DVD's I put in them anymore.......this has been goin on for awhile now but its started to get on my nerves. As far as I know I havent installed any type of programs that would alter this, as Im still using same programs to backup my dvds as before. They seem to read CD's no problem but the DVD's dont come up and in device manager it says theyre working fine. Any ideas on what I can do.

A:Solved: DVD drives not reading DVDs

A quick way to test to see if its the drive or anything else is to try the drive in another computer - no software nneds be loaded for it to just recognize that a DVD disc is in the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dvd-drives-not-reading-dvds.501953/
Relevancy 59.34%

My sony dru 710 dvd burner improperly reads blank dvd. When I check the properties of the blank dvd it reads 0 bytes used, 0 bytes free. I used memorex and princo blanks so far. I have upgraded my firmware and I am running xp sp2. it plays dvds perfectly.

A:dvd writer not reading blank dvds

Please don't duplicate post, keep replying here:
http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=317792

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-writer-not-reading-blank-dvds.316148/
Relevancy 59.34%

I created a data DVD using a DVD-rw on my dell inspiron 6000 laptop using Sonic software. I copied a ton of digital pics onto the DVD for backup. Now I can't read the DVD. Any suggestions?

Relevancy 59.34%

My DVD drive doesn't read DVD movies it seems... I bought Avatar and it can't read it, it only read it ONCE, and now it never reads it again. It sits there spinning and dying down, spinning, and making weird noises....

A:DVD drive not reading DVDs properly?

have you tried cleaning the disc and/or the drive with compressed air?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/276616-dvd-drive-not-reading-dvds-properly.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Can anyone explain to DVDs problem Reading Solved: me why this happens I have burned data on DVD but for some reason when I Solved: Reading DVDs problem try to use it the system Windows XP Professional SP gives me quot please insert disc quot message It started happening after I reinstalled windows but the data was burned onto disc on previous installation It was the same system I just had to reinstall it to fix a lot of Solved: Reading DVDs problem accumulated problems This happens Solved: Reading DVDs problem with DVDs from various manufacturers and with different types of data so I believe it s a system problem It registers the disc being put in the DVD CD drive the icon is shown in my computer menu although sometimes it is not but it still gives me the insert disc message of the time it works O K but it should work all the time right How can I fix this It s just frustrating to have data stored on DVDs but not being able to access it Thanks for any kind of help nbsp

Relevancy 59.34%

please anyone, what may be wrong with my PS2, the only problem it has is taht it reads only cd's.. I just got my new laser replacement and installed it correctly but still the same bloody problem! didn't this make any difference at all purchasing a new laser ?

Ian

Relevancy 59.34%

My computer reads all blank DVDs as full. I can burn DVD-RWs though becase I can "erase" them.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/reading-blank-dvds-as-full-219294.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi,

I'm having trouble reading a DVD(re-writeable) in any other player.
Ive saved a load of stuff-data to a DVD(re-W) specifically to keep it,
but i can't get it to read in any other DVD player, except the player
/burner that was used to write it.

It will read ok in the player/writer that burned it, but i want to read
it in other DVD-players too.

I have read through the 'Help' pages, but i cant see anything to try.
I'm very new to using Ashampoo, and to burning DVDs, so i may have
missed something out ....

Has anyone any suggestions ?

John

Relevancy 59.34%

I have two dvd players, one that came in my laptop, and an LG slim portable USB dvd reader/writer. I'm running windows 7 home premium on an Acer Aspire laptop. I have went into device manager and checked for updated drivers on the drives, as well as fully updated the thing with windows update. The USB drive from LG is pretty new, but I even went to their website and updated the firmware!!! I rent a lot of movies from Redbox, and historically they all played, but lately fewer and fewer will play. My computer does not even "see" the disk. I know scratches can cause this because they cannot read the header, but a lot of these recent discs look new!!! And I try them in both drives..............still nada. Anyone have a thought????

A:DVD ROM not reading all dvds. All drivers updated

There is a "fix" for this type of problem, but it requires you to modify the Windows registry. Have you worked with the Windows registry before?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-rom-not-reading-all-dvds-all-drivers-updated.212359/
Relevancy 58.48%

HP - DVD CD drive will only play CDs nbsp Not DVDs nbsp After Upgrade to Windows The windows upgrade initial attempt was not good nbsp Nothing listed in the All Apps start menu etc Did a reset from Settings gt Update amp Recovery gt Recovery gt Reset this PC nbsp Reinstalled all software using USB thumb drives when all I had was a DVD installation disc or downloaded installation files Good installation nbsp Everything worked and very snappy As the title states the drive will handle CDs just fine nbsp I have tried DVD-Rs DVD movies and various original software DVD/CD Will reading Post... not RW drive read only DVDs. CDs. DVDs Before the upgrade I imaged the hard drive DVD/CD RW drive only reading CDs. Will not read DVDs. Post... to an external USB drive by using a DVD boot disc for the back up software nbsp The system offered me the Press any key for the CD prompt which I did and the PC booted into the backup software with no issues and likewise performed the backup without error After the upgrade same DVD boot disc the system did not even recognize it was there no press DVD/CD RW drive only reading CDs. Will not read DVDs. Post... any key prompt Tried a second boot pressed the esc key to enter boot selection menu and manually selected the DVD nbsp Again it bypassed it with no press any key prompt and booted into windows The BIOS sees the drive Device Manager sees the drive No errors are present anywhere that I can see Tried uninstalling and reinstalling from Device Manager Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the IDE ATAPI controllers from Device Manager Tried removing high and low filters in registry but they were not even there Tried reg exe add HKLM System CurrentControlSet Services atapi Controller f v EnumDevice t REG DWORD d x at the command promptRan the F diagnostics from boot splash screen everything including optical drive passed Driver Version Date Is there any HP specific software needed to run the DVD side of the house nbsp I notice the HP folder C hp drivers hpsu with a setup exe file nbsp Any thing there I need to reinstall Thanks for your time nbsp nbsp nbsp

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/DVD-CD-RW-drive-only-reading-CDs-Will-not-read-DVDs-Post/td-p/5697954
Relevancy 58.48%

http pcpartpicker com user ghostfire saved xRdypg Here are the parts I m at wits end here After finally plugging everything into the mobo and successfully making it to the BIOS screen can't Brand not windows rig new install DVDs, reading I finally fit the win bit disc in Unfortunately when I tried to boot up I was prompted to insert boot media Next I decided to just install from USB The USB booted just fine but apparently you can t install win on a skylake cpu without some convoluted time-consuming work-around which I won t bother with I ve spent days now trying to figure out the problem messing with different settings in BIOS etc I finally decided to test my ASUS drive and the disc I plugged the drive into my old computer and tested the disc They both Brand new rig not reading DVDs, can't install windows work without a hitch so it can t be because of a faulty disc optical drive Interestingly enough swapping my OTHER dvd drive from my old computer into the new rig s mobo didn t work either Still can t read the disk when installed in new case I ve already made sure the DVD is recognized by BIOS and the drive has proper boot priority and have tried numerous times to boot I was told to check the jumpers but theres none on the drive Just the data power ports Any help would be greatly appreciated TL DR optical drive is recognized by BIOS isn t faulty but can t read disks so I can t install an OS nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/brand-new-rig-not-reading-dvds-cant-install-windows.1167447/
Relevancy 58.48%

I recently bought command and conquer 3 for PC and its not working...
i know it has something to do with my dvd drive/drivers because i recently reformatted my computer. The game is on DVD-Rom, but it wont read it, i have Windows XP home. The drive reads CD-R, CD-RW and movie DVDs, but it wont read the game and now it wont read blank DVDs. My DVD drive is a HP DVD Writer 840b.I have no idea whats happened and any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Annoying problem with DVD drive not reading some Dvds

Avenue to explore:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321640/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/annoying-problem-with-dvd-drive-not-reading-some-dvds.81749/
Relevancy 58.05%

I have a Lite-On DVDRW LH-20A1H.

From Device Manager, shows the drive is enabled and working properly.

But it cannot read any cds except for drivers disks.

With some tech advice, I searched the registry and removed any instances of

'secdrv.sys'

Done. Then the drive was able to read music CDs, but not any DVDs.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

A:DVD drive in device manager enabled but not reading DVDs

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321641/en-us

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-drive-in-device-manager-enabled-but-not-reading-dvds.635660/
Relevancy 58.05%

I have a Philips DVD8631 drive running on a Dell Dimension 8400, Windows XP. The drive has been running perfectly until now. I went to erase a DVDRW and now when I place a blank brand new DVDR in the drive, the drive shifts from DVD-RW Drive to CD Drive. I have already applied the firmware update from dell, removed and reinstalled Sonic RecordNow (which BTW is crap), and did a system restore. I dont know what else to do. Can anyone help me before I decide to reformat my system?

A:Philips DVD8631 no longer reading blank DVDs

I would replace the drive before reformatting the system. It sounds like the optical drive is failing.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/philips-dvd8631-no-longer-reading-blank-dvds.151626/
Relevancy 57.19%

I am trying to help a friend who has a Gateway T- Notebook using Windows VISTA Home Premium SP The Sony Optiarc DVD RW AD- A drive will not recognize a disc is inserted Comes up with an error msg quot Insert a disc Please insert reading not on T-1625 RW DVD Notebook Optiarc CD/DVDs Gateway AD-7563A a disc into drive E Help me choose a disc quot I have quot uninstalled and then reinstalled the DVD RW in the Device Manager I also have tried Physically removing and then reinstalling the DVD RW and it still will not work It does show up in Device Manager as well as in My Computer Under Device Properties Hardware it shows the same Location as the Hard Drive IE Location channel Target Lun Status The device is working properly On my Dell Inspiron it shows my hard Drive location as and my TEAC DVD RW as location If this is the problem where the Optiarc DVD RW needs to be at a different location how can I assign it to a different location I am an old DOS person and know my way around PCs pretty good I do need help on this one though Thanks for anyones help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/optiarc-dvd-rw-ad-7563a-not-reading-cd-dvds-on-gateway-t-1625-notebook.962701/
Relevancy 57.19%

I have just bought a new computer with a built in DVD-Rom drive. It works fine for everything(Cd-rom, VCD), except DVDs. I can access the DVD through windows explorer and I can view the files. When I try to play a DVD I get the messsage,"A disc with unsupported format in drive G:"
I downloaded another player that also does not solve the problem. The player does say "audio failed".

I have tried the Sony website with no luck, and have looked for Drivers on the web.
Device Manager shows no conflicts and says the decice is working properly and the best drivers installed.

I am running Windows 98, PIII 1GHz, 256MB Ram, 40Gb hard drive.
Soundblaster sound card and Nvidia TNT2 graphics card. Sony DVD-ROM DDU 1621. There is also a Ricoh CD burner built in.
It was all built to beable to play DVDs.

Any suggestions are welcomed. I am at a loss.

Relevancy 57.19%

Hi guys and gals I own a Vaio reading discs VGN-NR11S Not Vaio VGN-NR S running Vista Home Premium SP I found a guy had posted here yosefisgod with the exact same problem as mine This is that the disc drive has stopped reading discs His problem was even exact to mine as he stated that his disc would stop and start three times before stopping all together It s a shame he didn t leave any contact details as I would love to know if Vaio VGN-NR11S Not reading discs he resolved the problem Up until now I have had no problems with the laptop at all I do not even use the disc drive that often apart from to burn the occasional disc with iTunes I ve read that uninstalling burning programs can help I have uninstalled anything that was there except for what came with the Vaio and itunes as I don t want to Vaio VGN-NR11S Not reading discs lose all purchased music I ve deleted the upper Vaio VGN-NR11S Not reading discs and lower filters and reinstalled the device with no results It s strange how an audio cd will bring up autoplay but DVDs and games do not I have drive F and G F doing nothing when I click it and G with the error message Application not Found The device is a MAT A DVD RAM UJ QJ I have just got the latest update from Vaio which included a firmware update for the driver but still nothing As an expat working in Afghanistan it s not possible for me to take it in to a store and won t be for atleast another three months so any help here will be MUCH appreciated I have emailed Sony but no response Thanks in Advance nbsp

A:Vaio VGN-NR11S Not reading discs

Just used the event viewer and found:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom3.

It says on the internet that the cause of this can be a dodgy cable, but if this is the case, how is it reading CD-Rs?

The exact disc i just used was a Verbatim

Thanks again

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vaio-vgn-nr11s-not-reading-discs.823420/
Relevancy 56.76%

Since this morning my Pioneer 215DBK will no longer run dvds or games, it's no longer in device manager either. I checked inside the machine and everything appears to be connected properly. When I put a dvd into the drive I can hear it loading but then it just suddenly stops, it doesnt appear in my computer either. I'm running vista premium 64

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pioneer-215dbk-not-reading-dvds-games-or-appearing-in-device-manager.709070/
Relevancy 56.33%

my friend has lent me a dvd with a recording of a sports game on it but when i try and play it i wont open at all, nor can i convert it using dvd to video file thing.

I tried to download the camcorders driver from the sony support site but need to have the actual camcorder to install it.

any one know what to do?

here is whats on the disc.

A:cant play sony camcorder dvds

PowerDVD should play it. There is a demo to test.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/249597-cant-play-sony-camcorder-dvds.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi, i have a sony DRU-835A lightscribe dvd rw on my desktop that cannot read DVDs but is able to read CDs. I have tried burning DVDs and even a DL, and they are readable by other dvd readers i have on my laptop.

I read from some forums that my dvd lens may have gone bad but i went for a 1 to 1 exchange with my warranty, and its exactly the same. When dvds were inserted, either the drive shows blank, or when i inserted the DL i have burnt(it is working as mentioned, on other readers), it prompted me that i have inserted a blank disk, and asked for my action. Sometimes, when a dvd is inserted, the drive in explorer changes to CD-ROM and still, it was blank inside.

Can you guys help me with this? Many thanks!

Relevancy 56.33%

Hello all,
I am rather new at burning DVD's shouldn't I be able to read the data after burning the DVD when I click the drive letter? I have tried to make a copy of some music that I have on hard disk. It does say that it has completed the burn and when I ask for the disc identity within Nero 6 it shows the one session or track with the amount that was burned, apprx 3.5 gig. That seems to me that all went well but shouldn't I be able to then exit Nero and read the files on it when I select the drive while browsing? I recall with my old cd burner that I could do that.

I am running Xp pro with IGig P3 and 256ram all well above minimum req. for the Sony Dvd r/w'r.
Thanks for reading and any help would be appreciated.

A:DVDs and Nero 6 with NEW Sony writer

If you right click-> Explore the disc does anything show?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvds-and-nero-6-with-new-sony-writer.418261/
Relevancy 56.33%

I have a Sony DVD-RW DRU-710A that will not burn files onto any format of DVD (-R,+R,-RW,+RW), but only onto CDs. I have been using Nero 6 successfully with CDs. But when I try DVDs, at the start of the burning prompt, the program informs me that it cannot proceed because I have to use a CD, not a DVD. How can I solve this?

A:Sony DVD-RW DRU-710A will not burn onto DVDs, only CDs.

ae you using the full nero burning rom or Nero express? if it is Express then make sure that in the drop down menu for recorders that the burner listed is for DVD not CDRW. as I recall nero express in version 6 always had two listings for the same burner one for DVD and one for CDRW.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sony-dvd-rw-dru-710a-will-not-burn-onto-dvds-only-cds.50791/
Relevancy 56.33%

HI, There:
Recently, I got a Dell touch screen monitor , I download the driver form Driver Guide(DELLMON.EXE), but my xp can't work with it.
I tried download others, for example 3com, it doesn't work correctly.Like when I touch up right corner , the arrow shows down left cornet......
It seems the touch screen monitor works but need a exactly right driver?
What do you think?????any suggestion??? Thanks a lot!

( By the way, the monitor works fine only touch screen doesn't work! thanks)

A:Dell Touch Screen Monitor (D1025TH) Made by Sony

For a start, Dell should provide you with a driver that works with their screen...unless you didn't buy it new. Have you checked their website?

Secondly, you need to invert the x-y axis to make it put the pointer at top right when you touch there. There should be a place in the driver/screen setup that will allow that, for certain.

Scorp.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-touch-screen-monitor-d1025th-made-by-sony.427370/
Relevancy 55.9%

My 4 year old Dell vostro 1400, a carryover from my son's college days, has stopped reading and writing DVDs, though it reads and writes the CDs perfectly.

I replaced the DVD drive with a new Optiarc internal DVD writer. This new Optiarc has worked for about six months and then again same problem not reading and writing DVDs only.

Is the problem with the DVD writer or with the laptop? I am apprehensive to replace the DVD writer again.

By the way the OS is Windows XP professional.

A:Dell Vostro 1400 laptop internal DVD writer not reading/writing DVDs..

Normally it can be attributed to the laser burning out. The drive uses a different wavelength to do CDs than DVDs. They often don't burn out like a light bulb but just can't do the higher wavelengths.

Optical drives are notorious for sudden failure. On a desktop it's no big deal - a $20 repair. But a laptop is expensive to do replacements on. I'd be bumming too.

Curious (dealing with a similar issue with a laptop here):
When you go into Device Manager and check the properties of that Optiarc drive, is the name 'garbled'?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/194196-dell-vostro-1400-laptop-internal-dvd-writer-not-reading-writing-dvds.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I m buring a data backup using X DVD R media and Nero software came with the drive upgraded to latest version- including the latest ASPI file I also upgraded the firmware to the latest official release from Sony Windows XP Athlon Ghz MB Ram I used Nero to backup my C pictures folder to a DVD about GB and it reports a successful backup However when I try to access the files on the drive it just spins and spins and I can never access them- I can see the directory structures and files just fine Odd DVDs (Sony when DRU700A) burning behavior I can t open or copy them though I have found a couple pictures I could open but most I tried failed No error message displays the drive just keeps spinning until I kill the process or sometimes I got a quot image not available quot from the image preview Odd behavior when burning DVDs (Sony DRU700A) application After updating the firmware nero trying at different speeds etc I finally burned a DVD with C pictures AND two other large files that put the total somewhere around Odd behavior when burning DVDs (Sony DRU700A) GB I think By doing that the whole DVD works perfectly-I can access any file and everything looks great ANY ideas at all on this It has me rather baffled I bought a pack of X dvd rs today so I can do more testing- I was wasting an X at each step so I m hoping not to throw away quite so much - nbsp

A:Odd behavior when burning DVDs (Sony DRU700A)

You might try updating the burners firmware.

www.cdfreaks.com

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/odd-behavior-when-burning-dvds-sony-dru700a.251051/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have the above DVD writer and when I put in a blank DVD, the properties say 0 bytes used and 0 bytes free. I cannot record onto any type of DVD (+RW, -RW, -R, +R)
and the 'Type: cd drive' + 'File system: RAW'

the firmware is LYS6 WIN
the computer is a Medion MD8800 bought from ALDI#

Can anyone help with fix, please!!

A:Cannot record DVDs on my Sony DVD RW DW-Q31A writer

Hi bigg1, and welcome to TSG.

According to the Medion specifications, that computer comes with Windows XP Home. Windows XP does not have built-in support for burning DVDs. You will need third party software, like Nero Burning ROM that is listed as being on that computer, to burn DVDs.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-record-dvds-on-my-sony-dvd-rw-dw-q31a-writer.1090331/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi, I have a Sony VGN A 250 laptop. In the past, I had only use the drive to play DVDs and it worked fine. Last week, I put a CD into the DVD RW DW-D56A drive and copied a CD. Ever since this, the WinDVD or Window Media Player cannot play DVD. I look at the device manager DVD RW DW-D56A device manager, the properties setting is in CD-ROM mode. I can't change it to DVD RW mode. I also uninstalled and reintalled the above driver, the DVD is still not working.

The troubleshooting said to update the WinDVD player and I did. But still can't play DVD.

Can someone please help? I really appreciate your input/feedback. Thanks in advance.

A:Please help - Sony VGN A250 DVD RW drive won't play DVDs

I've got something of a similar problem, in that my Sony VGN-S56GP won't play DVD's with WinDVD anymore...

Try downloading the VLC player and see if it works with that. Make sure the dvd you use is the correct region, as most vaios seems to have a big problem running dvds that are from a different region, even with special software in place...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/please-help-sony-vgn-a250-dvd-rw-drive-wont-play-dvds.49741/