Windows Support Forum

Startup screen flickers to black, then all black screen

Q: Startup screen flickers to black, then all black screen

I have been struggling with an intermittent problem for many months and it is getting worse I am running windows vista on a toshiba satellite laptop My screen will go dark not quite as black as when the computer is off when I am using it and although the computer is still working I cannot see the screen Then on startup I can occasionally see flashes of the startup logo which is enough to let me know it is loading My cursor quits working as well After I run spybot in safe mode and then Startup screen black, screen flickers to all black run it again at startup it works for some time This last time was days So I believe I have a nasty virus I run Norton all the time spybot rather frequently and Startup screen flickers to black, then all black screen malaware bytes about once a month I am able to Startup screen flickers to black, then all black screen get it in safe mode by hitting the down arrow once and hitting enter It is very frustrating I don t think it is the video card as it is repaired after spybot use Any suggestions nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Startup screen flickers to black, then all black screen

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Startup screen flickers to black, then all black screen

That is weird situation I'd say. I am unsure what actually is the issue here, perhaps one way of finding what may be happening is having a look at your Event Viewer Logs. You can find Event Viewer, in Control Panel, Administrative Tools.

Also please follow these 8-steps, and post your logs at Malware and Virus Removal Forum for analysis. Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/startup-screen-flickers-to-black-then-all-black-screen.150656/
Relevancy 80.6%

In the past week my computer screen has been flickering and going black a lot, it does not lose power, but it goes black for a few seconds and them comes back and a few seconds later it goes black again. Sometimes it will work for a few hours before it starts the flickeing. I have a Samsung SyncMaster 712N LCD screen and a Nvidia GeForce FX 5700LE. I dont understand why it is doing this all of a sudden, it worked fine the first few months I had it. Also the screen resolution is at its optimum setting 1280X 1024. Can someone please help me?

A:Screen flickers/goes black

You are having a problem with the LCD screen's Flourescent backlight. If the screen is still under warranty send it in for repairs.

If you want to do a little home research....see if a tap on the edges brings it back on. That would indicate a loose connection of some type.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/screen-flickers-goes-black.304430/
Relevancy 80.6%
Relevancy 110.51%

Hello all This is my first post here so please excuse me if I have created this thread in the wrong place For quite some time perhaps about two-three months my screen has been flickering and turning black at random times Sometimes my screen will be fine for a few days in a row and then it might flicker for a few minutes and eventually just turn black Usually what I do and turns Screen flickers black is turn it off and on a few times and eventually it returns normal The thing is I know it is still turned on because my music player will still operate and it is a lighter shade of black meaning I can still faintly see what was on my screen Further I initially thought it was an issue related to my charger being wrecked Screen flickers and turns black but I have since replaced this and the problem persists My guess is that it is some sort of virus which I am basing on my quick reading of some other websites where others have reported similar problems I m really not a tech whiz so does anyone have any suggestions Any input will be highly appreciated nbsp

A:Screen flickers and turns black

I'm not very well versed in this area, but it does sound like a case of a faulty monitor since your programs run as per normal during those flickers.. You might wish to post more details on your specs and age of your hardware.
Have you tried replacing the monitor for testing?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/screen-flickers-and-turns-black.115345/
Relevancy 109.65%

Hello I am not sure if this is the right place to ask my question but I have a HP Pavilion dv us Notebook running Windows vista bit I was working in ds max yesterday and then my screen black and flickers turns screen Laptop then began to flicker and go semi-black with horizontal vertical Laptop screen flickers and then turns black white lines and it kept going back and forth until the screen went black altogether I restarted it a few times and most recently Laptop screen flickers and then turns black the screen appeared for a few seconds and then it flickered again and kept going black so I turned it off I am not very familiar with PC computers so I am not sure what is the problem but I am hoping that someone can understand my issue and give a solution to it I have read around on various sites that say it may have to do with a backlight bulb issue or something along those lines but I have no idea if that's what it is Also I connected it to my tv and the screen shows up on there so I don't what that means but hopefully it's not too complicated to fix Now I am thinking it's the screen display inverter but I could be wrong Is the problem that I need a new screen display inverter or is it something else Thanks in advance for any help

A:Laptop screen flickers and then turns black

Welcome
There could be several reasons for your problem, but I am leaning toward your graphics driver, see if it works in safe mode.
Safe Mode

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/299436-laptop-screen-flickers-then-turns-black.html
Relevancy 109.65%

whenever i play a game approximately mins- hr later both horizontal and vertical purple lines show up on my screen the game is still visible though after about mins of the purple lines which get worse every minute the screen flickers and turns black continuously after approximately mins of this the screen turns black altogether when i try alt tab the screen stays black but i know it s worked Black(When Flickers Turns Screen Gaming) Then because i hear the sound that the messages my friends have left me on msn this has been happening for the past few days one game does work oblivion and my friend gave me this on a disk some other games which have the above problem are frozen throne fable- the lost chapters and soldier front frozen throne and warcraft are iso files and i thought that that might ve been the problem but soldier front is a free online game and it also has the problem could it be a problem with my graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GT Resolution by by any help will be really appreciated THANKS in advance nbsp

A:Screen Flickers Then Turns Black(When Gaming)

Possibly a heat issue. Have you cleaned out the inside of your system recently?
Try installing something like Speedfan (free download, easy to find via Google) and have that running. Then you can monitor your CPU, GPU etc temperatures.

Also, ensure all your drivers are up to date.

No guarantees this is the problem but anything that is fairly quick, free and easy is worth a shot first of all.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/screen-flickers-then-turns-black-when-gaming.780103/
Relevancy 109.65%

Hi,

So recently after downloading new Windows and graphic card updates, my computer has been bugging out.. As said on the title, the screen flickers for a quick second and just goes completely black. The power button is on. I tried to scan the hard disk but the most the computer runs until its black-out is thirty minutes... The computer is around 4 years old and it did crash from time to time before today, is there anyway to fix this problem or should I consider buying a new one?

Thank you

A:Hello! My computer's screen flickers and goes black randomly

ok, sounds like a gpu issue try running furmarkin the 1080p bench setting, and see if it causes it to happen, also post the average temp.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/hello-my-computers-screen-flickers-and-goes-black-randomly-706961.html
Relevancy 109.65%

so, i have recently got hold of a used M17XR4. everything is great, except the screen shows these tiny flashing horizontal lines, sometimes blue, sometimes white. only shows up on a black background, white or lighter colours the screen is clear and crisp.

it shows up throughout the startup process, and then continues after boot.

it does not manifest this when HDMI Input is used.

have downloaded latest Nvidia drivers, flashed the BIOS, and have just done a windows 10 update too (problem was present on windows 7.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19985583
Relevancy 109.65%

Just bought this laptop last week.  While setting up I experienced the screnn flickering with black blocks on the screen.  It stops if I reboot, but starts again randomly.  Is there a software fox for this? I have attached a video.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/Flex-3-Screen-Flickers-with-Black-Blocks/td-p/3481029
Relevancy 109.65%

Every so often my screen will go black and then immediately return to normal. I'm  running the most currect Video Driver. There's no rhyme and reason when it will do it and it doesn't do it that often..... What could be causing this?Thanks.

#LenovoIN

A:Yoga 900 Screen Flickers Black Then Goes Back On

Hello, Maybe you could try what Igra tells here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-2-Pro-Screen-Flickering-and-Screen-Bl...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-900-Screen-Flickers-Black-Then-Goes-Back-On/td-p/2251714
Relevancy 109.65%

Don't know if you guys can help me with this but I'd appreciate any help or advice.

As the title says when I turn on the screen it shows video but with slight flickering / minimal colour distortion after about 5-10 seconds the screen then goes black. None of the buttons work only power.

I've had it for about +5 years but I really don't want to dish out for a new one.

A:LG Flatron M227WDP flickers to black screen.

Disconnect the PC and power it on. You should be able to use the buttons to access the setup/configuration screens. If not, the monitor is faulty.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lg-flatron-m227wdp-flickers-to-black-screen.1125639/
Relevancy 109.65%

When you upgraded my computer to Windows 10, I constantly get flickering on the left side of my screen when I open my computer. And also there is a Runtime Error that pops up also. How to correct this?

Solved!
View Solution.

A:a black page that flickers at the left of my screen

YES ITS FREE  **Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/a-black-page-that-flickers-at-the-left-of-my-screen/td-p/5305238
Relevancy 109.65%

Hi Recently after I sold my Gtx GPU and start to use i integrated graphics Intel on Windows my PC is experiencing a few BSOD related to igdkmd sys and ntoskrnl exe Besides getting BSOD my screen also flickers to black for seconds at random times Maybe - times a day This did not happen when I was using dedicated graphics I have already clean installed the PC and update to the latest vga drivers It did not BSOD or BSOD igdkmd64.sys Black & screen flickers flicker for one day so I thought it's fixed but on the third day the flickers and nd BSOD appeared so I really hope someone could help Thanks in advance st BSOD Dump File - - dmp Crash Time AM Bug Check String SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION Bug Check Code x b Parameter c Parameter fffff dbb Parameter ffff d ba Parameter Caused By Driver igdkmd sys Caused By Address igdkmd sys c File Description Product Name Company File Version Processor x Crash Address ntoskrnl exe a c Stack Address Stack Address Stack Address Computer Name Full Path C WINDOWS Minidump - - dmp Processors Count Major Version Minor Version Dump File Size Dump File Time AM nd BSOD Dump File - - dmp Crash Time AM Bug Check String KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED Bug Check Code x e igdkmd64.sys BSOD & Black screen flickers Parameter ffffffff c Parameter fffff d ca a Parameter Parameter Caused By Driver igdkmd sys Caused By Address igdkmd sys c a File Description igdkmd64.sys BSOD & Black screen flickers Product Name Company File Version Processor x Crash Address ntoskrnl exe a c Stack Address Stack Address Stack Address Computer Name Full Path C WINDOWS Minidump - - dmp Processors Count Major Version Minor Version Dump File Size Dump File Time AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/629455/igdkmd64sys-bsod-black-screen-flickers/
Relevancy 109.65%

My XP flickers then screen gose black after about 7 times trying to get it to boot it will boot on the 7th or 10th time. I put a new Video card in that is not the problem its got be on the start up for XP or it my monitor 22"Viewsonic I reformatted about 5 times now sometimes it will get stuck and keep saying alt +ctrl + del and keeps going in circles then I boot from XP CD sometimes it will take me to my desktop and will be fine other times I had to reformatt PLEASE HELP !! if I reformatt one more time Iam going to CRY !! lol ThanXs Webby

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-my-xp-flickers-then-screen-gose-black.1006379/
Relevancy 108.36%

I have an Acer Apsire 7741z and it starts up without an issue, the screen appears without any problems but after about 10 to 15 minutes the screen begins to flicker and then goes blank but the laptop is still running. I then let it cool down for about 5 minutes and turn it back on and it starts up and the screen again flickers and goes blank. I tried hooking it up to an external monitor but it's doing the same thing with the monitor (it goes blank and I get the No Signal message) What can it be? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide me with.

A:ACER Aspire 7741z Screen Goes Flickers and Goes Black

please only start one thread for the same problem

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/acer-aspire-7741z-screen-goes-flickers-and-goes-black.1080977/
Relevancy 108.36%

I have an Acer Apsire 7741z and it starts up without an issue, the screen appears without any problems but after about 10 to 15 minutes the screen begins to flicker and then goes blank but the laptop is still running. I then let it cool down for about 5 minutes and turn it back on and it starts up and the screen again flickers and goes blank. I tried hooking it up to an external monitor but it's doing the same thing with the monitor (it goes blank and I get the No Signal message) What can it be? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide me with.

Relevancy 108.36%

I have an ASUS x750ja laptop running Windows 8.1.

The problem: From startup (including bios logo), the screen briefly displays what it should, then goes black. Bios logo, then black. If I enter the bios, it goes black at the first screen. It'll flash the Windows logo, then go black.

I've hooked it to a secondary monitor via HDMI. It seems like a hardware error, but whenever the monitor gets a signal to refresh, it flickers back on. For example, when I have it hooked to the external display, and configure it to extend the display, the laptop screen turns on for a second.

Furthermore, the brightness keys still function.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/70839-display-issue-black-screen-flickers-refresh.html
Relevancy 108.36%

Hi Recently after I sold my Gtx GPU and start to use i integrated graphics Intel on Windows Black screen & flickers igdkmd64.sys/ntoskrnl.exe BSOD my PC is experiencing a few BSOD caused by driver igdkmd sys and caused by address ntoskrnl exe Besides getting BSOD or crash my screen also flickers to black for seconds at random times Maybe - times a day This did not happen igdkmd64.sys/ntoskrnl.exe BSOD & Black screen flickers when I was using Dedicated graphics and the problem came day after I switched to Integrated graphics so I don't think the problems ties to monitor memory psu or ssd Things I already tried but did not help Reformat PC Update to latest Intel vga driver Ran SFC scannow No errors Ran Memory diagnostic test No errors It did not BSOD or flicker for one day so I thought it's fixed but on the third day the flickers and nd BSOD appeared so I really hope someone could help Thanks igdkmd64.sys/ntoskrnl.exe BSOD & Black screen flickers st BSOD Dump File - - dmp Crash Time AM Bug Check String SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION Bug Check Code x b Parameter c Parameter fffff dbb Parameter ffff d ba Parameter Caused By Driver igdkmd sys Caused By Address igdkmd sys c File Description Product Name Company File Version Processor x Crash Address ntoskrnl exe a c Stack Address Stack Address Stack Address Computer Name Full Path C WINDOWS Minidump - - dmp Processors Count Major Version Minor Version Dump File Size Dump File Time AM nd BSOD Dump File - - dmp Crash Time AM Bug Check String KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED Bug Check Code x e Parameter ffffffff c Parameter fffff d ca a Parameter Parameter Caused By Driver igdkmd sys Caused By Address igdkmd sys c a File Description Product Name Company File Version Processor x Crash Address ntoskrnl exe a c Stack Address Stack Address Stack Address Computer Name Full Path C WINDOWS Minidump - - dmp Processors Count Major Version Minor Version Dump File Size Dump File Time AM DESKTOP-Sat zip

http://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/66943-igdkmd64-sys-ntoskrnl-exe-bsod-black-screen-flickers.html
Relevancy 108.36%

I have a microsoft laptop and my when turned on my laptop screen flickers and has black horizontal lines running down it and seems static like or pixelated, it usually stops when i sit my laptop a certain way but now it does it all the time

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Computer-screen-flickers-with-black-horizontal-lines-and/td-p/5730535
Relevancy 107.07%

Hi, My screen is flickering and then eventually just goes completely black after a certain point when opening the lid of the laptop. It has to be at basically a 90 degree angle to the keyboard to function correct. Beyond that it begins the flickering.I've seen comments saying this common and due to ribbon cables. However I only bought my laptop at the beginning of the year and do not wish to fix this myself as I assume it's covered by warranty.How do I go about getting my laptop repaired? 
System Specs are as follows: 
System Model Inspiron 7559
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Mode UEFI
Ram - 8GB
Graphics Card - GeForce GTX 960mThanks,Steven

A:Screen goes Black/Flickers when pushed back. How do I return for a repair?

Start with a call to Dell support - the technician will troubleshoot with you and then if a warranty repair is needed, will initiate the process.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19987306
Relevancy 104.92%

Hi everyone I m hoping I can find a solution on this site because I don t want to buy a whole new computer My problem is that my PC will crash to a random solid color such as beige or grey This started days ago when I was playing csgo black, to a screen start sometimes Computer solid wont crashes flickers color, with my friends and it happened once I thought it Computer crashes to a solid color, screen flickers black, sometimes wont start was just like a BSOD and I rebooted my PC and everything was good for days Then all of a sudden my PC would crash to these solid colours frequently Computer crashes to a solid color, screen flickers black, sometimes wont start and eventually to a point where I can t even start up a game because it will just crash instantly During these crashes Computer crashes to a solid color, screen flickers black, sometimes wont start I m sometimes able to hear sound and other times I m not It crashes every mins to an hour when I m not gaming My dad and I built this PC years ago and I have NEVER experienced any issues with it All of a sudden with no warnings of symptoms my PC would crash Sometimes my PC won t even start up and my screen will flicker black after I get to the login screen My specs Amd eight core fx Windows service pack bitAmd Radeon r x visiontek msi Psu corsair cx mGigabyte motherboard model fxa-ud Dual g memory corsair vengeance What I have tried to do-updated graphics drivers to latest version-started a system repair-used safe mode-fan Intel test for cpu with no issues -ran fur mark Gpu test and my PC instantly crashes tried times -did an anti virus scan and no issues here Help will be appreciated but u believe there is a problem with my Gpu due to the fact my system crashes during furmark Notes my PC crashed times while writing this so I used my phone to write this all out Thanks for future replies

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,157874.0.html
Relevancy 101.91%

Hello,

I have been having this problem since a week or so. Broni has helped me in malware forum to rule out malware as responsible. My machine is clean and I was refered here for further help.

Here is my problem:

At boot-time, I see windows XP load screen with the progress bar, the progress bar advances to the end and then, the screen turns pitch black and all is see is an arrow cursor I can move around. I thought until yesterday that this was a permanent freeze-up, but if I wait, say, 6 minutes, the black screen disappears and windows then starts normally.

Last week, problem was intermittent, it now happens all the time.

Windows boot-up was fine before.

Please help me.

A:Windows load screen at boot, looong black screen, then normal startup

I had this tons of times with my old XP PC. It is normal if you have a lot of files on the HDD and you have little RAM. How much RAM do you have? What is the capacity of the HDD? And do you have the Windows XP disc? Would you be willing to upgrade the RAM and/or the OS if we must resort to that? Or would you rather just buy a new PC?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-load-screen-at-boot-looong-black-screen-then-normal-startup.191868/
Relevancy 101.91%

Hi all Starting Messages, on Black startup Error with Screen Blue Blank Screen yesterday my computer would go through startup while loading the desktop it would crash to blue screen with white text unfortunately I can t remember the exact error Blue Screen with Error Messages, Blank Black Screen on startup message If restarted it Blue Screen with Error Messages, Blank Black Screen on startup either goes to a blank black screen or back to blue and I could only get the computer to operate in safe mode with networking My antivirus software avast free malwarebytes scanned and found no infections I have Windows Samsung laptop Today I was Blue Screen with Error Messages, Blank Black Screen on startup able to start the computer normally and am functioning with internet still acting a little funny but I am sure something is still not right I also did a system restore last night with the same problems crashing not starting up Any assistance would be highly appreciated Thanks in advance Brit PS I goofily started a similar topic in the quot Windows quot forum section without knowing this section was down here Sorry I tried to delete the topic post but couldn t Thanks

A:Blue Screen with Error Messages, Blank Black Screen on startup

Hello,I will be helping you with your problems. Please be patient while I assist you.Some points for you to keep in mind while I am helping you to make things go easier and faster for both of us Please do NOT run, install or uninstall any programs, unless instructed to do so.
We ask you to run different tools in a specific order to ensure the malware is completely removed from your machine, and running any additional tools may detect false positives, interfere with our tools, or cause unforeseen damage or system instability. Please do not attach logs or use code boxes, just copy and paste the text.
Due to the high volume of logs we receive it helps to receive everything in the same format, and code boxes make the logs very difficult to read. Also, attachments require us to download and open the reports when it is easier to just read the reports in your post. Please read every post completely before doing anything.
Pay special attention to the NOTE: lines, these entries identify an individual issue or important step in the cleanup process. Please provide feedback about your experience as we go.
A short statement describing how the computer is working helps us understand where to go next, for example: I am still getting redirected, the computer is running normally, etc. Please do not describe the computer as "the same", this requires the extra step of looking back at your previous post.NOTE: At the top of your post, click on the Watch Topic Button, select Immediate Notification, and click on Proceed. This will send you an e-mail as soon as I reply to your topic, allowing us to resolve the issue faster.NOTE: Backup any files that cannot be replaced. Removing malware can be unpredictable and this step can save a lot of heartaches if things don't go as planed. You can put them on a CD/DVD, external drive or a pen drive, anywhere except on the computer.NOTE: It is good practice to copy and paste the instructions into notepad and print them in case it is necessary for you to go offline during the cleanup process. To open notepad, navigate to Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad. Please remember to copy the entire post so you do not miss any instructions.----------------------------------------------Please do the following:Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe on your desktop to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it. To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.Click on change parametersUnder Objects to scan, check the box next to Loaded modulesIf you are asked to reboot, then click Yes.NextCheck the boxes next to Loaded modules, Verify file digital signatures, Detect TDLFS file system, then click OK.Click the Start Scan button.Do not use the computer during the scanIf the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
Note: If Cure is not an option, Skip instead, do NOT choose Delete or Quarantine unless instructed.A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).Copy and paste the full contents of that file in your next reply.Download Security Check by screen317 from here.Save it to your Desktop.Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.A Notepad document should open automati... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/467144/blue-screen-with-error-messages-blank-black-screen-on-startup/
Relevancy 101.91%

Hello.

Just today, I turned on my computer and got the blue screen of death, so I restarted my PC. Then a black screen came up saying "Windows could not start beacuse the following file is missing or corrupt : \windows\system32\config\system."

You can attempt to repair this file by putting the winxp cd in etc...

Now when i turn on my computer there is just a black screen showing, with nothing at all on it.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks very much for your help.

A:Blue screen of death, boot problems, black screen startup

It's a nasty error that requires some persistance and resourcefullness to overcome without a clean install.

If you have a Windows CD or have the recovery console installed, you might want to have a go at these directions.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307545

Forum example of a successful recovery here:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=195985

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blue-screen-of-death-boot-problems-black-screen-startup.382012/
Relevancy 101.91%

Hello everybody today my laptop has become blind Let me explain My laptop was purchased in Specs Alienware screen windows logs startup black. stays on screen, but Garbled m Dual nvidia go Dual core gigs of ram gb harddrive So here's what happened today I Garbled startup screen, windows logs on but screen stays black. was watch s movie on netflix when suddenly my screen goes black Though I had crashed but my laptop was still on and the sound was still going restarted and the initial screen was slightly pixellated and garbled Which has now made my Garbled startup screen, windows logs on but screen stays black. laptop permanent garbled and pixely After the windows logo My screen goes black but I am still hear the windows start up sound Garbled startup screen, windows logs on but screen stays black. I found that I am able to click on some music files on my desktop that are able to play so this is a video issue I reboot in safe mode which works this time figure to disable and uninstall the videocard drivers I restart and I'm able to use my pc somewhat normally still garbled Reinstalled the nvidia drivers then halfway through says error install failed or something it happen really fast then crashed tried restarting atleast times in safe mode but it freezes up after it tries to load partition windows system drivers mup sys All of the other options for start up even last settings to work the screen goes black after the windows logo I have tried tinkering with the bios but it doesn't help Its basically being blind using a computer So I'm wondering if there is anyway to possibly blindly open up command prompt and possibly disable or uninstall the drivers from there I'm about sure that the drivers are just corrupt because they were not able to finish and removing them would do the trick I know this is kinda long but I would greatly appreciate any help or input Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/garbled-startup-screen-windows-logs-on-but-screen-stays-black-565214.html
Relevancy 101.91%

Hi thanks startup, death Black at Solved: all blue with began screen screen a of for checking Solved: Black screen of death at startup, all began with a blue screen my question I haven t found an answer to my particular situation Dell xps m laptop w vista It all started with a blue screen w scrolling text after the fated restart The blue screen text said quot if this is the first time you ve seen this message quot and then comp restarted again showing the blue screen then restarted into windows repair mode after repair mode tried to fix Solved: Black screen of death at startup, all began with a blue screen the problem comp restarted then the screen went black blank right after the little windows loading animation where the bar keeps moving from left to right and there s a small windows logo It all happened fast so there may have been steps I forgot but that s the jist of it Now screen always goes black blank during startup after the windows loading animation so I can t start windows in normal mode I can start in safe mode if I manually force shutdown by holding the power button so I m not imploding with fear ok I am Possible causes This occured right after installing vista updates that restart was when I saw the blue screen Also occured the restart after running a patch called quot Vista TCP IP and UAC AutoPatch quot I downloaded it from softpedia the developer was listed as defcon and their website listed was securevista net but the site is down I found this out after the problem occured The patch had lots of positive reviews and lots of people on other sites also suggest using it to remove the limit of tcp connections which windows unnecessarily imposes Removing the limit supposedly increases P P filesharing speeds so it s a common approach to slow utorrent problems etc to patch the tcp sys file I have since quot unpatched quot it using the unpatch file which came with it but I m suspicious of the software developer now The patch originally disabled UAC user account control which is suspicious to me but I m not highly tech savy so I dunno if that s common or not I did also remove mcafee s security center I was busy I guess that was a mistake should always restart after each big change I apologize for the complication this creates in identifying the problem It s possible I did something else before the fatal restart if none of these three could be the culprit then I ll think harder about what that could be but for now these changes stand out in my mind I m assuming that windows repair mode s changes didn t cause this problem but I don t have any factual reason to believe that What could this be What can I do Thank you p s This is the last time I ever install software from a company that doesn t have an active website even if this wasn t the problem s cause nbsp

A:Solved: Black screen of death at startup, all began with a blue screen

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-black-screen-of-death-at-startup-all-began-with-a-blue-screen.804669/
Relevancy 101.91%

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit. So, these are my problems described in the title. I cannot change desktop from black, only can set a picture as a background.

When I am in pictures folder for example, I see blank or black thumbnails.
When I right click and go to personalize, I can see black themes instead of actual pictures.

I tried almost everything.
- reinstalling video driver
- clearing thumbnail from disk cleanup
- resetting dwm.exe
- going into safemode and then restaring into normal windows
- I tried fixing shell by using "fixshell"
- clearing & repairing registry errors
- ran an error checker
- ran a file checker

I have Microsoft Office 2010 - I heard that it could be the issue, but maybe I am not right, anyway...

I attached a print screen photo.

And, I am hopeless, any help please? Thanks

A:Windows 7 black screen, black or blank thumbnails, and black desktop themes

I noticed you're not running Aero. Click on last item, left side - "Troubleshoot problems with transparency...."

Office 2010 should not be a factor here. Public pics folder is empty - it should have sample pics in it.

Validate your OS installation - Genuine Microsoft Software

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-black-screen-black-or-blank-thumbnails-and-black-desktop-themes-553925.html
Relevancy 101.48%

I'm getting the black screen with movable cursor or KSOD Black Screen Of Death on Windows (Black Vista Black Of Death) Screen screen or with cursor movable KSOD Vista Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista What happens The system powers on POST BIOS Start windows normally Windows splash screen - gt Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista Black screen lt - What I can do I CAN enter BIOS and have reset the default settings I CAN press F to give me advanced boot options but all options have the same result apart from quot Repair your computer quot I CAN load the quot Repair your computer quot option I CAN move the mouse around the screen I CAN press shift times to get a dialogue to appear but no control panel I CAN press the power button to shut down the system I CAN start up in safe Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista mode which is exactly the same but with lower resolution I CANNOT seem to do anything else However there are workarounds to accessing the hard drive I CAN use MSDaRT or the System Recovery Tool I CAN use the hard drive as an external USB hard drive on another machine What I've tried Startup Repair - Could not detect a problem System Restore - No restore points Windows Complete PC Restore - A valid restore location could not be found Windows Memory Diagnostics - No errors SFC Scan - No problems Stand alone system sweeper - No problems Hotfix Uninstall - Nothing to uninstall I also COULD do a partial or full quot Packard Bell Recovery quot which is essentially like reinstalling windows I DO NOT want to do this I'm sure this is just a simple software issue really and I would rather avoid a reinstall Can anyone recommend what steps I should try to resolve this Thanks

A:Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista

I think I saw this post aver at Toms but I also think you gave some additional info.
I think what may be going on it during the switch from the windows low res video driver to the driver used in normal mode.

Since you can get into safe mode try to go to device manager.
Start|right click computer|properties|device manager.
Look in the display adapter.
Is there a yellow exclamation mark there?
Or is it showing the video that you know should be there?
Please post the video that the machine uses and or the PB model.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-with-movable-cursor-or-ksod-black-screen-of-death-vista-410636.html
Relevancy 101.48%

I'm using I have a DELL4500S desktop, on startup it will not go to the login screen, the screen is just black with the cursor showing. I've tried restarting the computer, unplugging everything and restarting it. Nothing is working. When it first starts a pop up shows and says

"This Application has failed to start because SAMLIB.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem."

I'm not sure what it's talking about and what to re install and I can't reinstall whatever it is because I can't get to the start menu.

Help? I don't know what to do :[

A:Black screen on startup, showing cursor, doesn't go to log in screen.

Quote: Originally Posted by alexsmom2009

I'm using I have a DELL4500S desktop, on startup it will not go to the login screen, the screen is just black with the cursor showing. I've tried restarting the computer, unplugging everything and restarting it. Nothing is working. When it first starts a pop up shows and says

"This Application has failed to start because SAMLIB.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem."

I'm not sure what it's talking about and what to re install and I can't reinstall whatever it is because I can't get to the start menu.

Help? I don't know what to do :[

SAMLIB.dll is a security account manager dynamic linked lib. A repair install from the dvd should fix the problem unless you are infected with malware, or have a modified system

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/201116-black-screen-startup-showing-cursor-doesnt-go-log-screen.html
Relevancy 101.48%

Before explaining how i got here i will explain what exactly is happening When I boot up my computer i see the up boot leads screen to startup screen, Can't black access logo then text saying Preparing Automatic Repair with a loading icon Then i would get a black screen that would sometimes show a cursor that i can use with the black screen but most times just the black screen Eventually this black screen ca give way to Diagnosing your PC loading screen that loops endlessly Okay this started after I downloaded the anniversary edition for Windows the first time i booted up the computer i had faced the AVG Watchdog initialization bug which prevented from accessing the laptop for the few weeks as tried looking for solutions forcing me to eventually uninstall Can't access startup screen, boot up leads to black screen AVG through Safe mode the only way i managed to was through turning it off and on times as every other way including holding F had not worked After booting up the first time without issue after removing AVG and getting some things done I turned it off without issue then i faced this new problem which is still plaguing me I've looked up in forums for a solution but the closest i found was just reinstalling windows and losing everything does anyone have a solution where i can still keep my data

A:Can't access startup screen, boot up leads to black screen

Hi Helix935 and welcome to Tenforums.

If it was less than 10 days since this happened, you might have been able to go into Settings>Recovery and rollback from the Anniversary Update. But it's been too long now.

If it's data only that you're needing to save, you could boot the system to Kyhi's rescue media and use File Explorer to copy your data over to an external drive, then perform a clean install, (or reset or refresh from within safe mode).
Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums
You will need to reinstall your personal applications after the OS is working again though.

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/66730-cant-access-startup-screen-boot-up-leads-black-screen.html
Relevancy 101.48%

Hi there I developed a problem with my desktop pc yesterday I was gaming and the screen enter I when then password screen screen startup Flickering black at - began to flicker then the game crashed - citing quot rendering device lost quot I tried to re-load this again and the same thing happened again this time with a BSOD I Flickering screen at startup - then black screen when I enter password tried a different game and the same thing Flickering screen at startup - then black screen when I enter password occured took slightly longer though Given it was late I went to bed Today on loading up the sign in screen was flickering lots I entered my password and was met by a black screen The Flickering screen at startup - then black screen when I enter password computer continued to make fan noises as if it was working but nothing on my screen This happened again On restaring my computer the crash report read quot Blue Screen locale ID BCcode a BCP BCP FFFFF BCP ED BCP B I've looked at the bug dump but I was silly and did a system restore before this so there's no bug dump The computer starts and runs fine in safe mode and without the graphics card in Since I've done a system restore Cleaned everything again was pretty dust free to start Uninstalled and re-installed the graphics card drivers Re-seated RAM and GPU Done a memory diagnostic on my RAM None of these have worked I've taken the graphics card out and it runs fine with the onboard GPU Some specs Intel I K GPU - AMD Radeon HD Corsair Vengeance GB RAM Motherboard Asus P Z M pro PSU -OCZ Core steam W The pc has worked perfectly for - years with no issues with games previously Real Temp GT clocks the GPU temp at - under load similiar for CPU Do you need any more info to help diagnostically Is this all down to my GPU Does anyone have any suggestions for a fix

A:Flickering screen at startup - then black screen when I enter password

I found this on my notepad:

GFX 23:56:28.143 Heroes of the Storm (B43571)
GFX 23:56:28.143
GFX 23:56:28.143 Executable E:\Battle.net\Heroes of the Storm\Versions\Base43571\HeroesOfTheStorm_x64.exe
GFX 23:56:28.143 <Parameters> -sso=1 -launch -uid heroes
GFX 23:56:28.143 Parent Executable \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Battle.net\Heroes of the Storm\Support64\HeroesSwitcher_x64.exe
GFX 23:56:28.143 Grandparent Executable \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Battle.net\Battle.net.7505\Battle.net.exe
GFX 23:56:28.143 LocalTime 2016-06-16 23:56:28.143
GFX 23:56:28.143 <ComputerUser> Toby
GFX 23:56:28.143 <ComputerName> SPEEDDEMON
GFX 23:56:28.143 <Exe.Architecture> x86_64
GFX 23:56:28.143 <Version> 18.4.43571
GFX 23:56:28.143 <DataBuild> B43571
GFX 23:56:28.143 <CodeBranch> branches/Heroes.18.mid
GFX 23:56:28.143 <CodeRevision> 293141
GFX 23:56:28.143 <Locale.Assets> enUS
GFX 23:56:28.143 <Locale.Data> enUS
GFX 23:56:28.143 <Locale.Install> enUS
GFX 23:56:28.143 <AccountCountry> GBR
GFX 23:56:28.143 ====================================================================================================
GFX 23:56:28.142 DXGI: Available
GFX 23:56:28.267 Resource Cache Override Variable: 0MB
GFX 23:56:28.267 Resource Cache: 2036MB Win64 (8147MB Physical, 13271MB Process Virtual)
GFX 23:56:28.267 Adapter [0]: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series (VendorID 0x1002 DeviceID 0x6818)
GFX 23:56:28.267 Attempting CreateDevice on adapter [0] (VendorID 0x1002 DeviceID 0x6818)
GFX 23:56:28.306 CreateDevice succeeded
GFX 23:56:28.306 Using adapter [0]
GFX 23:56:28.306 Floating point render targets supported.
GFX 23:56:28.310 DXGI Adapter Name: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
GFX 23:56:28.310 VRAM Detected: Dedicated [2027MB] Shared [3817MB] (DXGI)
GFX 23:56:28.310 VRAM Override Variables: Dedicated [0MB] Shared [0MB]
GFX 23:56:28.310 Initialized D3D9 GraphicsDevice: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series (Driver Version: 8.17.10.1452, VRAM: 2027MB, SVMEM: 3817MB).
GFX 23:56:28.311 VRAM texture space: 1520MB
GFX 23:56:32.301 PerfNotifiers initialized
GFX 23:56:32.350 Lost D3D9 device
GFX 23:56:32.363
GFX 23:56:32.363 D3D9 Device Reset from unknown returned e_errorKindGfx(0)
GFX 23:58:11.616 DirectX call m_device->TestCooperativeLevel() failed with error code D3DERR_DEVICENOTRESET
GFX 23:58:11.616 DirectX call failed with error code D3DERR_DEVICENOTRESET
GFX 23:58:11.616 Lost D3D9 device
GFX 23:58:11.854
GFX 23:58:11.854 D3D9 Device Reset from ::OnRender returned e_errorKindGfx(0)
GFX 23:58:14.927 DirectX call m_device->TestCooperativeLevel() failed with error code D3DERR_DEVICELOST
GFX 23:58:16.044 DirectX call m_device->TestCooperativeLevel() failed with error code D3DERR_DEVICENOTRESET
GFX 23:58:16.045 DirectX call failed with error code D3DERR_DEVICENOTRESET
GFX 23:58:16.045 Lost D3D9 device
GFX 23:58:16.234
GFX 23:58:16.234 D3D9 Device Reset from ::OnRender returned e_errorKindGfx(0)
GFX 00:00:22.191 DirectX call m_device->TestCooperativeLevel() failed with error code D3DERR_DEVICELOST
GFX 00:00:23.073 DirectX call m_device->TestCooperativeLevel() failed with error code D3DERR_DEVICENOTRESET
GFX 00:00:23.074 DirectX call failed with error code D3DERR_DEVICENOTRESET
GFX 00:00:23.074 Lost D3D9 device
GFX 00:00:23.261
GFX 00:00:23.261 D3D9 Device Reset from ::OnRender returned e_errorKindGfx(0)
GFX 00:02:42.434 Lost D3D9 device

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/397475-flickering-screen-startup-then-black-screen-when-i-enter-password.html
Relevancy 101.48%

Hi screen windows (black screen startup BSOD and freeze all i have a problem with my pc it randomly freeze at startup BSOD (black screen and windows startup screen freeze getting me black white or distorted screens after min the pc reboot and all go normal this problem can come or times at the same time after the pc BSOD (black screen and windows startup screen freeze finish his reboot it get me an error like this Firma problema Nome evento problema BlueScreen Versione SO ID impostazioni locali Ulteriori informazioni sul problema BCCode BCP FFFFFA B C BCP FFFFF FECBAE BCP FFFFFFFFC A BCP OS Version Service Pack Product and if i go on operative center it get me this Firma del problema Nome evento problema LiveKernelEvent Versione SO ID impostazioni locali Ulteriori informazioni sul problema BCCode BCP FFFFFA AF F BCP FFFFF F C BCP BCP OS Version Service Pack Product ID bucket X x Tdr IMAGE nvlddmkm sys Informazioni sul server e f a - - b - f - c b d here are the information that i see in the bsod post introduction OS -windows x its an assembled pc by me and i ve installed original win Full reatil version the system have week i have upgrade it from an old one created by me year ago the OS has week i have re intsalled it after the upgrade cpu-- gt i K with an after market cooler video card- gt Nvidia GTX with afetr market cooler motherboard - gt asus p z -v gen power supply - gt corsair tx v System Manufacturer gt by me XD here are the output from Windows Vista jcgriff and from perfmon PS sorry for my bad english - -''

A:BSOD (black screen and windows startup screen freeze

Ok 116 error is caused by your Graphics card.
First thing to do is update your drivers from the NVIDIA website.

If BSODs continue Try HDD tests,
download gpu-z to check if your card is getting too hot, also is there lots of dust in the card?

Do you overclock your video card?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/bsod-black-screen-and-windows-startup-screen-freeze-622591.html
Relevancy 100.19%

after minutes of hanging in that weird startup screen considering whether to hard reboot or not it went into start repair still there now To make a long story short I suspected something wrong with my hard drive due to a software giving me an i o error after some research I am not knowledgable when it comes to computers I ran chkdsk when I woke up it was still running as it should be in the process of 'replacing bad clusters' for certain files so there was something wrong alright and was at After leaving my computer for ten minutes I found my computer had gone to a black screen then.. screen, weird 8 black then then ran chkdsk screen, startup hrs, and seeing as I was reluctant to do a hard reboot I chkdsk ran 8 hrs, then black screen, then weird startup screen, then.. waited it out and it moved to a windows safe mode startup screen but only the big cursor and standard background was present chkdsk ran 8 hrs, then black screen, then weird startup screen, then.. nothing else see attached picture After ten minutes it went to startup repair which has been running for the past half hour What has happened during the ten minutes I was away and chkdsk was still only at why did the subsequent events unfold as they did What can I do now

A:chkdsk ran 8 hrs, then black screen, then weird startup screen, then..

Hello Kayron can you still get into safe mode did you say? If so go in and run sfc /scannow

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

if that doesn't run then maybe you have a hardware problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/277449-chkdsk-ran-8-hrs-then-black-screen-then-weird-startup-screen-then.html
Relevancy 98.47%

Hi,

I am running Windows XP Professional Edition SP3 and the issue is on startup after the Windows loading animation the screen goes totally black with no cursor in sight.

This happened after a power cut when the computer suddenly shut down.

I can run it in safe mode.

I can run another Windows XP Professional installation that I have on my PC (same HDD) and that works with no issues.

I used system restore (24 hours) and it starts up after that, but then after restarting it will not work. Same applies for when I did a system restore from 1 week ago.

All help is appreciated!

Sam.

A:Black Screen on Startup (Before Login Screen)

Any thoughts before I go and format the system?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-on-startup-before-login-screen.1014355/
Relevancy 97.18%

Hi I have this year old Lenovo Y config below The discrete graphic card has In WIN Screen Mode POST During , Screen Safe Even Black 7 Black probably fried a long time ago so last year when I did a clean install of Windows I had to disable ATI Card permanently in the device manager using safe mode Black Screen During WIN 7 POST , Black Screen Even In Safe Mode and used the Intel integrated card A few days ago I booted up windows only to encounter quot A disk read error has occurred press ctrl alt del to restart quot I tried to boot up using WIN install disc but soon after the Starting Windows logo the screen Black Screen During WIN 7 POST , Black Screen Even In Safe Mode turns black and I am left with a cursor in a black screen I tried to boot into Safe Mode but still I encountered a black screen with just the cursor I booted with Ubuntu live usb and was able to access all my partition and did back up and even formatted the Windows Partition I tried to boot using a WinPe and faced the Black screen with a cursor again I even reset BIOS to default changed Graphics Adapter from quot Discrete' to quot Switchable' and vice-versa but no effect at all When I boot up using Ubuntu and ran lspci grep VGA I can see both cards listed I even tried to boot up using Windows preview disk still I get a black screen after the Windows loading screen I can't afford to buy any laptop presently since I am currently at college so using Ubuntu for now Is ther any way to install Windows again Is it possible to get the ATI Card working properly- reballing reflow Any way to permanently disable the ATI card and get windows to boot up using the integrated chip Notebook Lenovo IdeaPad Y Processor Intel Core i M Graphics Adapter Switches B W Intel HD amp ATI Mobility Radeon HD

A:Black Screen During WIN 7 POST , Black Screen Even In Safe Mode

What other graphics adapter choices are available in BIOS setup? If you choose Switchable is there software on the Lenovo site for your model that's needed? Are you using the Display adapter software from there?

Have you tested your HD with the maker's HD Diagnostic extended CD scan, followed by a full Disk Check on a single disk partition you create?

Then work through the steps for Overcoming Windows 7 Installation Failures - Windows 7 Help Forums including trying an alternate install method (disk><flash stick) with new media. These steps overcome almost all install failures, so you'll be reasonably sure the problem is hardware or BIOS settings if nothing works. But don't skip any steps.

Try Clean Install Windows 10 Technical Preview to see if there's any difference with a more modern OS install. It's already a very polished OS and worth testing this.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/351512-black-screen-during-win-7-post-black-screen-even-safe-mode.html
Relevancy 95.03%

I made this account just because of this issue.
I have a hp computer with xp from 2005.
I believe the ati and pci drivers were both disabled via the display options within windows, afterwards on startup the hp screen comes up with the setup system restore options etc. Then it loads xp, after windows loads the monitor recognozes a video connection but it's still a black screen. Even booting in safe mode results in a black screen
I've reseated the video card, reset the cmos and many of the safe mode and setup options.
I feel I've tried everything short of a system restore and I have no backup.
Is there any possible solution to this besides a restore?

A:black screen on xp startup

First, create an Ubuntu Live CD and backup all of your files you want to keep onto a USB HDD.
Boot into Setup (Bios) go to integrated Peripherals, and make sure the onboard VGA is Disabled and the Video card is Enabled.
If you have an XP CD, boot off of that and get to the Recovery Console. Here type chkdsk /F and press enter. This may correct the file system.

If that fails, if you have an onboard VGA you can remove the Video Card, and use the onboard VGA, this will automatically Enable it, This will allow you to boot into Windows and then you can uninstall any video driver for your card, then shut down and replace the Video card.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-on-xp-startup-842449.html
Relevancy 95.03%

I've had a problem with the external drive not working, so I tried to restore to last week. The computer froze through the restore, so I had to restart using the on button. I then got the black screen with nothing but the white cursor. i tried alt ctr del, didn't work. I tried restarting with a repair, but then I just get the cursor on a pretty blue screen with images on it (I assume it's some kind of windows screen). Safe mode doesn't work either.

I'm really stuck, I don't want to lose everything! Can someone please help?

Thankyou

A:black screen at startup

Remove the external hard drive.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/423405/black-screen-at-startup/
Relevancy 95.03%

okay so i recently updated some old parts in my PC which was all working fine then I attempted to use the AIbooster overclocking program which comes with the asus striker II extreme motherboard overclocking to worked fine so i thought on screen black startup why not try pushing or further as the computer was restarting after i d tried I noticed windows start to load but then the screen would just stay black so I restarted the computer and this time it would do all the bios screens and stuff but wouldn black screen on startup t even load windows i then tried resetting the bios settings to defaults which didnt fix anything i also tried swapping harddrives as i thought that might be the problem I have windows vista installed on a seperate harddrive because i prefer XP pro this time it looked like it was loading vista because the little green loading bar came up but it just restarted the PC after it black screen on startup had finished loading if i switched it on it seemed to go in an endless loop of loading up and restarting over and over again so i cleared the CMOS and switched the harddrives back round and still no luck I d really like some suggestions as this thing just won t stop breaking maybe it s my magic touch I m thinking of trying an old graphics card in there as i have a feeling it may have something to do with it system specs OS Win XP Pro MB ASUS Striker II Extreme CPU Intel Core Duo E GHz GPU ATi Radeon HD GB PSU Enermax Galaxy W RAM Corsair Dominator GB email protected i m not sure of the make of my HDD s any help would be appreciated cheers nbsp

A:black screen on startup

bump, i really need help with this :/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-on-startup.860263/
Relevancy 95.03%

hey guys okay goes Screen! Startup Black to here's the situation I know a girl Startup goes to Black Screen! who was trying to send me some stuff from her cell phone Startup goes to Black Screen! so she couldn't find Startup goes to Black Screen! the CD i sent her a link for the program to download from the Nokia website she did installed it but as soon as it finished her computer restarted And each time it loads goes straight to the windows loading screen then a black screen with the white cursor She can't go into safe mode etc either It keeps doing the same thing She has vista is it possible because the file is not compatible with vista She doesn't have the Vista CD if she has one could she repair it or whatever Basically does it seem like there's any way around it besides re-formatting i may be able to get a back up disk from a friend note this is not the same DVD or from the same computer that I'm talking about does that matter if it's a different CD key or whatever So in theory if a backup DVD or Vista DVD is used just for startup the repair option should be able to restore things including all the files and stuff

A:Startup goes to Black Screen!

hi try here http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/startup-goes-to-black-screen-374881.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Hello. I've just installed Windows XP Pro onto my computer while following these instructions > http://rcc.bgsu.edu/computing/xpformat/ < I know this should've worked, but after I installed and copied the files and it restarts. It just freezes or something on the blackscreen (Before the "Windows XP Professional" screen shows up.) If anyone can help me out, it'd be appreciated.

A:Black Screen During Startup

Hi,

Why not tell us about the components of your computer including motherboard, cpu, power supply (watts and brand name), drive types and how they are set up, video card, .......You get the picture, give us a picture of what you have and that might help us to know what is wrong.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-during-startup-81488.html
Relevancy 95.03%

I'm running Windows Vista and when I log into my computer it only shows a black screen and won't load the desktop. I tried a system restore but that didn't work. Along with that there is a message that says "Microsoft Mobile PC Adaptability Client has stopped working"

Problem Event: APPCRASH
Application Name: PresentationSettings.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6002.18005
Application Timestamp: 49e01d9e
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.18327
Fault Module Timestamp: 4cb73436
Exception Code: c0000622
Exception Offset: 0000 9f7d
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.2.0.768.3

ANY help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

A:Black screen at startup?

Did SP2 install? Some have had this problem in connection with an improper installation. If so, you would have to use a System Restore prior to that if it's available.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-at-startup-576313.html
Relevancy 95.03%

I started My Windows XP computer (its running service pack 3)
I heard the XP startup tune but all I could see was a black screen and the cursor.

nothing worked, not even Ctrl+Alt+delete

I just had to turn off the power at the wall, I then restarted it and it worked straight away
there is nothing strange in the event log, its just the usual stuff, no errors etc

what happened?

note: this has happened to me before but instead of a black screen, the screen was a mass of jumbled coloured squares

A:Black screen startup

I would suspect a problem with the video driver.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-startup.808057/
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi,

Sometimes (10% of the time) when I try to turn on my computer, the computer sits on a black screen and I have to turn it off and on maybe 5 or 6 times until it works. How can I fix this?

I have a HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook PC

Relevancy 95.03%

Hey guys,

Tried to start my computer this morning and, after passing through the windows loading screen, it went to a blank, black screen with just the cursor. Was looking around at what the problem may be, and found a solution. Ctrl+Alt+Del worked, clicked on file, added the "explorer" process, and everything was back to normal, functioning well. Turned it off again, and now it doesn't even get to the windows loading screen, it just goes plain black. I can get into BIOS. But i don't know of anything i could do. Seriously weird, and thinking it could be some form of corruption/virus. I have Symantec, but i usually don't take any notice of it, however, lately, threats were popping up every few minutes. Almost certain that this is directly related.

Thanks heaps!

Luke

Relevancy 95.03%

I have a problem with my computer, this morning my computer freezed and I restarted it.
Now when it loads the desktop the screen turns black.
I can run the computer in safe mode.
But i dont know wat the problem is, maybe a virus or something :S

Does anyone have a idea??

A:Black screen at startup

Is the cursor blinking at the top left corner of the black screen?Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503 Do you have a MS XP install CD?Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/189364/black-screen-at-startup/
Relevancy 95.03%

Thanks for any help or point me to where I can read.
I am running Windows 7 Professional 32-bit.
Went I do a fresh boot I get a totally black screen for about 40 seconds give or take before the Windows message appears.
Is it some possible program mix that I have?

You don't list you CPU in your specs (not your case size). What kind do you have? I see your HD is pretty small. Could you post a screen shot of your Disk Management. Thanks,

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/174686-black-screen-startup.html
Relevancy 95.03%

HELP----I've been tryimg to figure this one out 4 quite some time;
When I turn my comp.(winxp Home)on, all I get is a black screen.The power/indicator lights are on and the cd roms are starting up but the screen stays black. I don't seem to hear it booting up @ all though. I've already checked the monitor & hard drive but neither of those seems to be the problem.Can someone tell me where to start cheking next.I have a semi-self built desktop pc. It's last repair was done by a tech who replaced the motherboard.--The system seemed to freeze upon boot sometimes after I got it back & then you know the rest.
Thx!

A:Black Screen @ startup

Hi and welcome,
Could be the video card. Can you see words on the screen when booting up? Any beeps or grunts?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-startup-165268.html
Relevancy 95.03%

hi,

after i have typed in the password i get a black screen in windows7 service pack 1.
this happens ocassionally.
help would be appreciated.
regards
mahesh.

A:getting a black screen on startup!

Maheshputt have a look through these links to see if they help...

Black screen on startup of Windows 7 - Microsoft Help Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Why is my screen black when I start Windows 7?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/195688-getting-black-screen-startup.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Hello,
I own a ASUS K61ic laptop which is running Windows 7 HP 64-bit. Every time I turn it on it hangs for about 20 seconds after the "Welcome" screen, during which the screen goes black. After that the taskbar appears, but still no desktop. After another few seconds everything appears normal.

I used Tuneup Utilities to turn off unnecessary start up programs but it's still happening. I also installed some missing drivers and update the video driver with no improvement.

Just know I tried opening the task manager during those 20 seconds. The CPU was running at about 30%. After a few seconds a message appeared telling me that Microsoft Windows is not responding and that I should wait for a few seconds. It eventually disappeared and the desktop was shown.

If you have any suggestions I'll gladly accept them.

Thanks,
Horatiu

First suggestion: Stay away from TuneUp Utilities and other 3rd party optimization tools.

If you have been using any registry cleaning features or even the optimization features from 3rd party software, it may have been the cause of your current problems. 3rd party optimization tools often cause more problems than they fix.

If you can, do a system restore to before you last used TuneUp Utilities to "optimize" your system, and see if the system then works as it is supposed to.

Use System Restore to Restore to an Earlier System State (Windows 7 / Vista)

If You Can Boot Windows:
Save your work and backup your important files. System Restore will restart your computer without giving you the option to save your work.

Quote:

NOTE:System Restore will leave your data and files intact, but it is still a good idea to backup important files in case the unforeseen occurs.

Click Start.

Type System Restore in Search programs and files, and then hit Enter.

If you receive a UAC dialog, type your administrator password or click Yes to continue.

If You Cannot Boot Windows:
Access the Windows Recovery Options to choose System Restore from the available options.

Steps for System Restore:
After completing the above steps, you will see one of two screens:
For the first screen, click Next >.

For the second screen, choose Recommended restore: or Choose a different restore point. Then click Next >.

If you hit Next > on the first screen or selected Choose a different restore point on the second screen, you will be met with the following screen. You will have the option to choose from multiple restore points. If you need to restore to an earlier point in time than one listed in the window, choose Show more restore points. You can also Scan for affected programs to determine which programs might have updates removed or which programs might be entirely removed.

Once you have selected a restore point, click Next >.

On the following screen, click Finish.

If you are absolutely sure the chosen restore point is the one you want, click Yes.

You will then receive a message Preparing to restore your system... and the restore should complete without a problem.

Quote:

NOTE:The restore process may take some time depending on the changes made to the system since the previous restore point.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/black-screen-at-startup-679035.html
Relevancy 95.03%

S7, barely a month old.  Shut it down last night, left lid open, and power cord plugged in. Today it will not move beyond a black screen on start-up.  Starts up with "Acer explore beyond limits" startup screen, then just goes to black.  However, I can see the couse pointer on the screen and can move it around with touchpad and mouse. I've rebooted several times, unplugged power cord, etc.  No luck. Looking around, seems I'm not the only one with this issue. Come on Acer, I dropped a lot of cash on this machine!  Please help!!!

Solved!
Go to Solution.

A:S7: black screen on startup

Okay, here's how I fixed my problem as described in my original post (for now, anyway): Unplug from power.  Open lid; computer will power on but go into black screen. Power off, using button on side, but leave lid open. Then, with (1) computer off and (2) lid open and (3) cord unplugged, push and hold power button for 30 seconds.  Computer will quickly power on and then quickly power off (you will see the Acer logo boot-up screen, but it will power off before going into black screen).  Keep holding power button through all of this for the full 30 seconds. At the end of 30 seconds, computer will be (should be) off.   Release your finger from power button.  Keep lid open during all of this. With lid open, plug in AC power.  Press power button as you normally would (you are not holding it this time) to power on. Computer should start normally. Worked for me; hope it helps if you're having the same problem.  I'm told it has something to do with static build-up.

View solution in original post

http://community.acer.com/t5/S-and-R-Series-Laptops/S7-black-screen-on-startup/td-p/120581
Relevancy 95.03%

This one is about my laptop, Over the past few days I've been having a lot of trouble getting it to start up. When I press the power button all I usually get now is a black screen, however if I sometimes try and press F8 or F anything and it loads onto that sometimes but not all the time, it sometimes then does come on when I exit that. I have no idea what the problem could be please? I don't have a battery in, am always just plugged in by the power cable. I do have the laptop on at the moment, I am using it to post this but afraid when I turn it off again it won't come back on. 

E Machines E442
Windows 7 Home Premium
64-bit OS
Service Pack 1 

Thank you for any help given. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/595134/black-screen-on-startup/
Relevancy 95.03%

i am getting black screen after startup. but system was running in safemode.
so i decided to install windows 7 again.
i had inserted cd and pressed any key.
i got a windows 7 startup but after that it was again coming black screen.
HELP ME!!!

A:getting black screen after startup!!

Hello,

This sounds like a serious hardware fault; out of curiosity I would attempt to boot a live operating system such as Ubuntu Linux:

Download | Ubuntu

Download Ubuntu, burn the image file to disk (using ImgBurn, or similar), then boot your computer from this disk. Ubuntu has an option to "Try Ubuntu" which essentially runs it live from the CD.

If you get an Ubuntu desktop you can try moving files around on your hard drive, inserting a CD, etc.

Given what you wrote in your post - I doubt that you will get to the Ubuntu desktop, which confirms that you are experiencing a hardware fault.

Best of luck

Davo

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/233966-getting-black-screen-after-startup.html
Relevancy 95.03%

I'm running Windows Vista on my computer and the screen is completely black when I start it up, preventing me from starting the computer in safe mode. Any idea why I'm getting this straight black screen?

A:Black Screen Startup

No video.

Is the monitor on and working?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-startup.823046/
Relevancy 95.03%

I always get a black screen when I turn on my Dell Inspiron 17 which runs Windows 8. My solution is to hit CTRL>ALT>DEL which then allows the laptop to start normally. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Thanks for your help.

A:Black Screen Startup

Hi

to the Bleeping Computer forum.

This can be happened due to various reasons. Try the below steps one by one.

Make sure the system date and time is correct.

Perform a full malware scan using the below tools.

1. Malwarebytes free       : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

2. ESET Online Scanner   : http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=149856

If the issue remains, perform a clean boot which isolates all third party softwares and services from startup.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/179159-troubleshoot-application-conflicts-performing-clean-startup.html

Post your findings in next reply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/504193/black-screen-startup/
Relevancy 95.03%

Well here's the rundown of events prior to this issue My screen Black startup on cousin was playing a game and it started to have a framerate lag I solved the issue before by just cleaning out the dust in my computer However I took out the fan and had a really difficult time putting it back in this Black screen on startup time I ended up getting it back on but it felt like I had to put a little too much force on it this time The time before this I had difficulty and let just the top part attached The computer display was showing but then soon shut off I assumed I had to attach it correctly and finally did so This time when I turn on the computer it has no display Black screen and then after a couple seconds shuts itself off then turns back on over and over unless I unplug it I unplugged the fan to see if it would do something different but it doesn't I unscrewed the part my fan has to hinge on to and secured the top and bottom part of it now it feels more secure than ever It's not my monitor cable the plug itself or anything like that When I turn on my computer I can press the numpad and it will glow but after a while it will stay glowing even if I turn num lock off again Everything inside looks normal I cannot access my computer in any way Specs Pavilion p f PC AMD Athlon X Dual-Core Processor NVIDIA GEoForce intergrated graphics Windows Vista Home Premium -bit Let me know if you need more and I'll try to find it My CPU fan looks identical to this may not be the exact same model AMA The Best Thermal Solutions from Aluminum Heat Sink Manufacturers I cannot take pictures of my computer at this moment Thanks in advance

A:Black screen on startup

onboard video is suspect as to if they are able to run games

do you get a screen in safe mode

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-on-startup-607547.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi Basically when I start up my computer the screen goes black for about five minutes but the cursor is still visible Then eventually when it finishes doing that I am and Black lag screen startup already logged in even though I need to put in a password first but it completely skips that apparently After I'm logged in the taskbar freezes and programs take a long time to open and sometimes the whole computer freezes Black screen startup and lag I've only had the computer since October and the only issue that came with it was that the back fans don't work It does overheat easily but the Black screen startup and lag room it is in is nearly always cold and if it does get too warm I turn the computer off and open the window to wait for the room to cool down some specs CPU AMD FX tm - Quad-Core Processor motherboard manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd Graphics card AMD Radeon R Series Hard disk TOSHIBA DT ACA ATA Device Memory GB OS Microsoft Windows Home Premium -bit I don't have any protection aside from Malwarebytes but the only things I've really downloaded are things I trust and have researched into and games from steam

A:Black screen startup and lag

Those fans are very inexpensive and easy to replace. Id' do that immediately

Then work through the Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7.

I would not skip any steps as the skipped step is often the solution.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/358956-black-screen-startup-lag.html
Relevancy 95.03%

I have repeatedly tried to boot up my Dell Dimension 8400, but each time the same problem happens. First, the XP Logo screen hangs for like a minute. Then, the screen turns black. Here, it should load the accounts screen. Instead, the screen turns black, a mouse pointer appears, and then the little hourglass mouse pointer is there forever until I reboot. In safe mode, the screen turns black right after the long list of loaded drivers. The 'Safe Mode' indicators are in the corners, but no other indication that it actually works. I think XP is broke Can anyone help me?

A:Black Screen On Startup

Try running chkdsk from the Recovery Console.Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.Type: chkdsk /rIt's important to have a space before the "/".To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/159117/black-screen-on-startup/
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi, recently my computer encountered some sort of a virus I deleted in and then restarted.

It goes through all the loading fine and the windows vista loads but then the screen just goes blank.

I have tried system restore and hitting ctrl + alt + del nothing works I managed to start the computer in safe mode but I don't know what to do....

I am not that smart with computers so please put it in words I can understand...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much, Adam.

A:Screen goes black at startup

Hello WindowsVistaUse,

Welcome to the forums.

The next thing I would try is a system file check (sfc). Info here if needed. System Files - SFC Command

If you don't know how to open an elevated cmd. prompt Elevated Command Prompt

Please keep us posted.

Gary

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/206514-screen-goes-black-startup.html
Relevancy 95.03%

I was attempting to install updates on my laptop (that has vista) I was installing vista service pack 1...It wasn't installed because I am having other issues with my computer, but anyways.
The windows update told me to restart my computer and it began loading the files for the service pack and such. It restarted and there was a black screen with numbers loading files like the startup system. Then it froze on one of the files for about 2 hours. I came home and it was still frozen so I manually shut off the laptop. Now I try to turn it back on and all I get is a black screen, no start up menus or logo or anything!!!!
SOMEONE HELP PLEASE!

Relevancy 95.03%

Hi after Black screen startup? I've had a problem with my laptop for a few days now Win Pro bit No matter if I boot reboot sleep hibernate Black screen after startup? it it freezes after the Starting Windows animation Black screen after startup? All I see is the black screen It might start for the first time but most of the time it doesn't even start for the fourth I have to do a forced shut down boot it again and I might have to repeat it - - times till it starts properly I reinstalled Windows after months I was sure it was gonna solve this I rebooted it after installation just to see if the problem still persists The first few reboots went fine then it started quot going black quot again I'M out of ideas It starts properly in Safe mode But how can it be a software problem if Windows is just a few hours old Do you have any ideas on how to solve this It makes me go nuts

A:Black screen after startup?

Check your hard drive. You can run the long self test and check SMART attributes with GSmartControl, and then you can schedule a boot time chkdsk /R.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/374866-black-screen-after-startup.html
Relevancy 95.03%

My dELL Vostro laptop screen turns black after it shows after Black Screen startup the Black Screen after startup windows logo after boot up screen Only think i see on that black screen is a white cursor of my mouse Pressed F and tried to boot in safe mode or other options like Recover Windows or Safe Mode with Networking or Low VGA option but none of them works All i see is a black screen with a white cursor of my mouse after the windows logo screen at start up I am using Windows and i first thought that my Windows crashed So i tried to install a fresh copy of windows by booting in with Windows Windows Vista and Windows XP Cd's but the response is exactly same After it says quot Press any key to boot from CD quot it shows a black screen I freaked out and thought Hard drive is dead but when i put the hard drive in somebody else laptop it was working I ran diagnostic test on my memory card Passed it which means its Black Screen after startup working fine too Also i took the Black Screen after startup memory cards out and put them back in but nothing different happen Since nothing was working for me i ran the UBUNTU dvd in live mode just to see if that works and it worked At least it passed the black screen after initial boot up but i found out there are things that are not working These things are mouse and keyboard I plugged in USB mouse and keyboard and bingo i am good to use UBUNTU I though the issue could be with mouse and Keyboard so i keep external USB mouse and keyboard plugged in and tried to restart in windows but the situation is still the same Now here i am and have no clue what to do now Can't do anything with Windows because i can't pass the black screen no matter what i do Tested hard drive and memory card and i think they both are working fine Couldn't be the issue with motherboard or processor because then how would i be able to run UBUNTU live dvd Mouse couldn't be broken because i see a white mouse cursor on the black screen and i can move it Keyboard couldn't be broken because i can use the keyboard to change boot up options I would really appreciate if you can help me this Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-after-startup-513326.html
Relevancy 95.03%

I have a strange problem when i turn on my pc it shows the dell splash screen then turns black in about a second, It continues to do this every time it gets to a diffrent part of the start up, showing the windows loading bar and finaly a black screen with a cursor before going black again.

I can tell it turns on as i hear the windows log-on sound.

I have SLI so i tried swapping the cards but they both do the same thing. I came to the conclution they might be overheating so i opened up the case and pointed a deskfan in there left it for a little bit till it was very cold then tried again and still nothing.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-on-startup.868146/
Relevancy 95.03%

I am in the process of building a new computer and am a day away from ordering the last of the parts Unfortunately on my current computer I am starting to have some problems When I boot up the computer I get to the Windows XP Logo and the progress bar then the screen goes black and stays there Running XP SP I believe If I startup? Black on screen try to boot into safe mode the progress stops on or after quot Mup sys quot which is where it sits currently as I am using my laptop All is silent inside the tower The only thing I care about salvaging from this computer is the hard drive since I Black screen on startup? will but throwing it into the other computer and while I can see that it works I fear that this boot up problem will be system files and not hardware malfunction Nothing inside this computer has changed leading up to the problems except I took the disk drive out and put it in my new case I have since reinstalled it to see if that would fix the problem and had no luck The only XP cd I can get a hold of is an quot Upgrade disc quot or I would try to do a system repair or will that work Any help would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to order these parts right now if all is not well Also I should note that this happened once before but upon trying to boot again it did go Today it has not shown any signs of going though Update It did eventually boot and I am in safe mode right now Running Service Pack actually Maybe it was just super sluggish and I got impatient Still if anyone can see an obvious problem as to why or something to run or do now that I can use it I'd love the advice

A:Black screen on startup?

Go to Start/Run and type chkdsk C: /R and press enter. Now type a Y and reboot the computer. the Check Disk utility will run at next boot up and try and fix any file errors. Also download the ISO image for Drive Fitness Test in my signature and burn the image to a CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. And boot off of the newly created CD and run the short and extended tests on the HDD.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-on-startup-593427.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi guys, yesterday my AMD Radeon popped up telling me I should update my drivers, so I started it. After a few minutes I noticed the download/update was stuck at 12% and I needed to go do something else and decided to turn the wifi off of my laptop. (Don't know if this has anything to do with it) After a few minutes my screen went black. I thought this was normal for updates so I waited 25 minutes and seeing the screen was still black I hard reset my laptop. Tried turning it on this morning and the HP symbol pops up after that it's just black. I've tried going to the BIOS menu but pressing F10 or the Windows button + B doesn't work. Any help is appreciated thank you!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Black-screen-on-startup/td-p/5823504
Relevancy 95.03%

hey whenever i press the power button on my computer, it starts up with a black screen telling how it came across and error due and such. it asks the simple things such as "Run in safe-mode, Run with Command Prompt, run with default before this occurred, or run normally.) either one of these i press it just turns the whole screen black, the only thing that shows is the mouse.

any help is appreciate,
thx

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-upon-startup-413233.html
Relevancy 95.03%

During startup a black screen wil flash with the following message "Windows was unable to process the registry. THis may be fixed by rebooting command prompt only and running scanreg/fix. Normal process may continue but there may not be enough memory. My question is What can I do to solve this, by the way my computer is a compaq presario 5005SR with Windows ME.

A:black screen during startup

Sounds like something hosed your registry :-/ After you do what the msg tells you it still gives the same one? Unfortunatly you might have to reinstall. Have you tried booting into safe mode?

BTW, if you have ME running you are on the wrong forum :-/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-during-startup.149646/
Relevancy 95.03%

I had this startup at win black screen problem last night my laptop became dead slow at st black screen at win startup then while browsing it hanged completely and I could not even start task manager I restarted it by holding the power button and it showed toshiba logo and then a black screen with blinking cursor I turned it off after sometime because it was not booting and started looking for the solution I found the remove battery n charger hold power for sec thing but when I turned it on before applying the method it booted normally now after some hours it became dead slow so I restarted it by going to start gt restart and it restarted but again the black screen and white cursor So after trying times f it did not work win recovery I tried the battery removing thing still no help not to forget num lock light is on fans are working but i can not do anything else UPDATE I ran a bootable kapersky rescue it showed no virus then I rebooted it was the same i rebooted again n the window booted normally with normal super speed as usual i shut down twice and turn on and it worked but when I restarted it when to the black screen again n is still the same I remember the st time when this happened last night was when I restarted it because it black screen at win startup became too slow So now I got a point that it is having problem when restarted Now If anyone can tell me a software like the kaspersky rescue which can repair the error or help me start the win repair screen so I can reinstall the window and see if it is of any help or not nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-at-win-startup.1126263/
Relevancy 95.03%

nbsp A couple of days ago I had to do a system restore on my laptop because my speakers stopped working I downloaded the beats audio Startup Black at Screen manager that normally comes with my laptop and it screwed things up nbsp After a few hours it completed the system restore and my computer restarted After the HP splash screen my entire screen goes black with the screen being super bright and then it dims and stays like that nbsp I tried the following Removing the battery holding the power button and then turning it on using only the adapter wire Same problem nbsp Using an external monitor Same problem Black Screen at Startup nbsp System restore to an earlier date I get a message that says 'Windows failed to load a file and then it reboots nbsp Safe mode Same problem nbsp It seems that putting the laptop to sleep and then waking it back up makes the cursor appear and I can move it around I'm aware that this is a common issue that happens after a system restore where the screen is black but you can control the cursor nbsp So all the basic solutions don't seem to work I'm able to back up my data but I rather not format everything yet Any help is much appreciated nbsp Thanks nbsp

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Black-Screen-at-Startup/td-p/5598223
Relevancy 95.03%

Ok so Im working on this laptop and it was booted in windows but the screen was black I plugged in an external monitor and it worked and on the laptop screen it faded back up just a little bit not enough to really see anything though So I used a multimeter on the Startup on Screen Black inverter and it came back ok with Hz So I plugged everything back in and put all the screws back and when I turned on the laptop again the lights and everything came on but when the hdd light started to flash the screen just turned off When I plug in the external monitor it says no signal What do you guys think the problem is The laptop is a Hp G http h www hp com ewfrf Black Screen on Startup wc document docname c amp cc us amp dlc en amp lc en Also if it helps this guy came to me earlier in the week and he was missing some screws that were holding his screen to the hinges of the screen Also the wires that were inside the screen were falling out and being pinched by broken plastic nbsp

A:Black Screen on Startup

The cable that goes from the motherboard to screen, through where the laptop folds over, is supposed to be something that can fail on a laptop especially if its picked up by the screen half.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-on-startup.973923/
Relevancy 95.03%

Thanks in advance for looking into my issue I have been working on Toshiba L XP Home Edition with intel core duo processor The system worked just fine untill my Anti virus expired and it came under attck from Think Point -Rogue antivirus Program My system went crazy after the attack It came up on the screen no matter what i tried to do on the system It dint allow to use internet Task manager system restore utility etc I couldnt even shut down my computer I had to do hard boot in order to restart my computer Screen Black Startup on . After going through a few forums online from a diff computer I downloaded Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware I did a full scan and removed all the threats that it detected But the Think Black Screen on Startup . Point still kept coming up and my system was still going crazy Did a few more scans and removed the the threats again but Think point was still on the system After a few force shut downs the blue screen error started coming up quot If this is the first time you have seen this error restart or remove any new hardware or software install by going into safemode It also had a Black Screen on Startup . bunch of Black Screen on Startup . numbers on it and then it wud start dumping physical memory Afte a few minutes it would restart on its own Sorry dont have the exact error I tried restarting using last known good configuration it dint helpThe Blue screen errror started coming up instantly after logging in I repaired windows installation using the original XP cd The system started for once it went back to service pack but the blue screen error followed soon after Went into safe mode blue screen error followed there aswell I ran the recover console using the XP Cd I ran the P and R command The command went through successfully but dint help So now Im stuck at the black screen when i start my system It doesnt flash there is no beep sound no cursor When i try getting into safe mode it starts to load but gets stuck halfway through the screen where it tries to load Like a DOS window which runs from top to bottom Please help Thanks in advance

A:Black Screen on Startup .

hi. it sounds like a similar situation i had following removal of several viruses. you may have a corrupt/rogue driver. you need to boot into the recovery console, using your recovery cd, then type "cd C:\windows\system32\drivers" [press enter] then type "dir" [press enter]
read through the list that appears, and make a note of any files appearing as 0kb in size. it will most likely be a randomly named file, and will most definitely be ending in a .sys extension (this is the driver file type). please report back on the file name etc.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-on-startup-523647.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Hello guys,

I recently got my Toshiba A665 Laptop back from servicing: new battery, cleaning, and software install including ESAT antivirus.
I opened the box and reconnected everything as normal before starting up from the button.

I receive only the complete black screen meaning there is no graphic signal at all, no cursor or logos.

The keyboard gradually lights up, sound appears to work and the HDD signal lamp blinks.

I have tried disconnecting and pressing Shift + F8 but this does not help. I do not want to send it back again so is there any way I can investigate this and possibly fix it? After all I have paid a lot of money for the servicing.

I am suspecting a graphics hardware problem at the present but it may be any number of things.

A:Black Screen on startup

Can you try connecting an external monitor?
Most laptops have either a VGA port or an HDMI port on the side for connecting an external monitor.

There should be some sort of warranty on the repair that you paid for.
Contact the servicing company to see what options you have.

Are you able to boot from a CD/DVD?
You can try a bootable copy of MemTest86 (not MemTest86+) as it will boot on both BIOS and UEFI systems:  http://www.memtest86.com/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/620040/black-screen-on-startup/
Relevancy 95.03%

I installed windows 7 a few days ago, everything seemed to run fine until this morning.. Last night i updated windows because some updates where finished, during shutdown the update was installed. This morning i turn on my computer, it beeps once(loud beep not a soft beep) The screen doesnt flicker and goes into sleep mode. I tried disconnecting the videocard and reconnecting the wires, still doesnt work. I pressed F2, F8, F12, doesnt go to BIOS screen or Boot. I have no idea how to get the connection back. Has anyone has this problem and can help me find a solution.

thank you

A:Black Screen at Startup

did you make a repair cd?? are you familiar with UBCD?? get a boot cd so that you are able to repair.....if you like i can upload the cd but i dont think that will help as its for my machine, which will be different setup to yours... guaranteed

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/17557-black-screen-startup.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Ok, first off, I am sorry for posting this question because i bet you get a ton of the exact same error but all the Black screen's seem different. I just need some help. I currently have an inspiron 1545 which runs Vista 32 bit. I notices some things odd happening to my computer so i ran a scan with AVG full, and found many virus's. When one virus came up i chose to remove, it then crashed my computer and took me to the blue screen of death. I loaded my computer up again it seemed fine untill it tried to load up my desktop, it displayed a black screen with my cursor. I clicked Ctrl + Alt + Delete and tried to open "explorer.exe" it then wouldn't let me. I need a fix!

Help please

Thanks so much!!

A:Black Screen on startup.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Please follow this tutorial.

Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/290231-black-screen-startup.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Hello W Forums Today I was playing a match of Counter Strike Source on my W -bit pc During the game my computer had frozen screen Black startup after and Black screen after startup I was required to reboot my pc after the reboot had completed and the windows loading screen finished what I was left to see was a black screen stunned I restarted my pc again and again this black screen The computer keeps giving me the option to quot recover quot the start up files but when I click on this option it says windows is loading the files but when that completes it just goes to the windows loading screen then black again I have tried putting my windows disk into my drive and using it to Black screen after startup restore my pc but it Black screen after startup does the exact same thing loads up and goes straight to the windows loading screen then to the back screen I have been trying for hours now to get this to work What I have Windows -bit install disk Windows -bit system repair disk Laptop with windows -bit and windows -bit installed and running Anything you can say to help will be appreacheated Many thanks Smile P S Sometimes there is a x pixel green box in the top left hand corner P P S If there is a solution that requires all files deleted then that option is fine by me Its midnight and I'm kinda tired but after removing all usb devices startup repair has appeared and is trying to fix my errors This does not mean I am done yet

A:Black screen after startup

VGA mode uses your graphic driver same as in normal mode, only the resolution is 640x480, 8 bit (256 colors) and 60 Hz refresh. Safe mode does not use the graphics driver at all.

Are you able to boot into VGA mode? (tap f8 on the keyboard until you are presented with such a choice while booting up.)

That's not Win7 but it's same or similar.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/32488-black-screen-after-startup.html
Relevancy 95.03%

If I should start my own thread on this matter I shall but I am having serious issue for which no fix seems to work. Basically I have a friend's computer (running Win10 Home v1511) which has the black screen with cursor after login issue. I tried all the popular fixes for that to no avail. I tried the sfc /scannow and that gets to about 49% before failing. I tried doing /restorehealth with DISM and get error: 1392. I tried using a tech bench ISO to repair the image and still I get error: 1392. I tried to do an in place upgrade using an ISO with the anniversary update but every time I get the error "Setup couldn't start properly."

If it makes a difference I was trying all of this in normal mode and not safe mode.

Originally Posted by DaFees

If I should start my own thread on this matter I shall but I am having serious issue for which no fix seems to work. Basically I have a friend's computer (running Win10 Home v1511) which has the black screen with cursor after login issue. I tried all the popular fixes for that to no avail. I tried the sfc /scannow and that gets to about 49% before failing. I tried doing /restorehealth with DISM and get error: 1392. I tried using a tech bench ISO to repair the image and still I get error: 1392. I tried to do an in place upgrade using an ISO with the anniversary update but every time I get the error "Setup couldn't start properly."

If it makes a difference I was trying all of this in normal mode and not safe mode.

Hi DaFees and welcome to Tenforums.
See if Kyhi's Image Health might help your friend's system.
Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums
Also, have you run chkdsk /r on the drive? I would do that first.

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/63163-black-screen-startup.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Hey All So here is the gist of my troubles for the past few days Any help is greatly appreciated I turned my computer off a few startup Black screen at nights ago then turned it back on the next morning just to see a black screen staring back at me It went through Black screen at startup the dell splash and the Black screen at startup xp pro splash then all black I left it alone for a few hours and no change So far I have tried Safe mode just a black screen with a big cursor no explorer ctrl-alt-del works but cannot execute any new tasks incl explorer Repair install got a bunch of errors and no change Black screen at startup Parallel Install -Now this is where I had one of those Eureka moments I inadvertently installed another copy of XP when I meant to do a repair install The new install also has a black screen after the xp splash After doing some more research I found that a lot of people that had this problem found it was caused by a bad video card or driver My question is How the heck do I update the drivers when I can t even get into explorer in safe mode nbsp

If you still have the problem in safe mode, then it is not the video driver causing the problem.

Any details regarding "Repair install (got a bunch of errors and no change)"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-at-startup.686119/
Relevancy 95.03%

I installed windows 7 a few days ago, everything seemed to run fine until this morning.. Last night i updated windows because some updates where finished, during shutdown the update was installed. This morning i turn on my computer, it beeps once(loud beep not a soft beep) The screen doesnt flicker and goes into sleep mode. I tried disconnecting the videocard and reconnecting the wires, still doesnt work. I pressed F2, F8, F12, doesnt go to BIOS screen or Boot. I have no idea how to get the connection back. Has anyone has this problem and can help me find a solution.

thank you

It sounds like possibly a problem with the RAM. If you have multiple DIMMs try taking all but one out and see if your computer will boot, and try different slots. Try with different DIMMs until it boots.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/17559-black-screen-startup.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi All,

I have encountered a problem that is starting to annoy me. The other day my laptop froze and I restarted. After the flash windows screen it goes black and I can see nothing, doesn't get to the users screen. I have had windows 7 on for 2 months and all has been perfect.

I have tried to install the Nvidia drivers again (re downloaded drivers 179.48 and 186.82 with mod .inf). Both said installed correctly but after the restart still got black screen. Currently I am in safe mode on video controller as the display card. I uninstalled the old drivers as well.

the 179.48 were on previously and I have had no problems until the other day. I am stuck for any other solutions on what to do.

I have a dell m1710 with a 7950 gtx. Win 7 build is 7201 64bit.

All help would be greatly appreciated as I am at a wits end...
Cheers

Quote: Originally Posted by Napoleon

Hi All,

I have encountered a problem that is starting to annoy me. The other day my laptop froze and I restarted. After the flash windows screen it goes black and I can see nothing, doesn't get to the users screen. I have had windows 7 on for 2 months and all has been perfect.

I have tried to install the Nvidia drivers again (re downloaded drivers 179.48 and 186.82 with mod .inf). Both said installed correctly but after the restart still got black screen. Currently I am in safe mode on video controller as the display card. I uninstalled the old drivers as well.

the 179.48 were on previously and I have had no problems until the other day. I am stuck for any other solutions on what to do.

I have a dell m1710 with a 7950 gtx. Win 7 build is 7201 64bit.

All help would be greatly appreciated as I am at a wits end...
Cheers

Boot into safe mode and check device manager for display driver function. In safe mode you dont load the vid driver. If not the vid driver, try going into event viewer (type event in search) and go to windows logs>application tab and check for errors. If there are could you use the snipping tool (type snip) to take a screenshot and upload it to us

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/24267-black-screen-startup.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Hey guys, I've recently encountered a problem with my 2 year old computer. Sometimes (not always) after turning the computer on and getting the Welcome screen the screen remains black (apart from the cursor). Eventually it may continue loading to the desktop however sometimes it doesn't. It's getting annoying because if it doesn't I have to cold reboot it. The only 'recent' upgrade to my computer was about 2 months ago when I installed a AMD Radeon 7850 OC to replace my overheating ATI Radeon 5770. Thanks.

Relevancy 95.03%

Hi all I know there have been previous posts on this topic but none have solved my problem I was buffering a movie to watch and had left it startup, Black on please screen help paused full screen while I went out for a few hours On return the screen was black and there was no response from mouse clicks esc hits or any other inputs I shut down the comp holding in the button for seconds or so Now every startup Black screen on startup, please help the screen is black expect for a quick flash of the windows load screen I ve tried the graphics card and monitor on another computer and they are fine I ve blown out all the dust with an air can too I can t get to a safe mode screen either or rather I could if I could see it I won t be able to restore to an earlier time if that is offered as part of a solution as I don t have any earlier saves My computer is a HP Pavilion m Black screen on startup, please help n desktop with a GeForce ultra graphics card It runs windows xp with all the service packs Please help nbsp

A:Black screen on startup, please help

Could anyone jump on what I'm saying here:

burned out VGA?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-on-startup-please-help.131857/
Relevancy 95.03%

After logging into windows, instead of the desktop im being presented with a black screen, plus a small window (see screenshot). You can't see it in the pic but it just says 'Win..'. The box can't be resized. When clicking the 'x' the black screen remains and the only way for me to shut down is via ctrl alt del.

Before experiencing this problem, I had just finished removing the System Healer virus/malware using the steps on this link https://malwaretips.com/blogs/system-healer-removal/

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ok I managed to find a way to access my control panel so i've just performed a system restore

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/75174-black-screen-startup.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Hey guys,

First post to be gentle. I have been looking into why when we first boot up machines we get a black screen and it takes forever to startup. I understand first time processes need to load and profile needs to be created, but there has to be something I'm missing that could cause this, let me know if you have any ideas, thanks!

A:Black Screen At First Startup

Do you still need assistance with this issue?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/321886-black-screen-first-startup.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Alright so I ran mbam and it kept coming up with some spyware.I decided to try and get some help from the spyware forum (from here)icreated the 2 dds logs that are needed when creating a new topic,however when i was scanning with the gmer program the computer screen went black. I left it alone for about 30 minutes same thing so i tried rebooting it .Now all it will do is show the hp logo then just go the same black screen and thats it!I still tried to create a new topic in the spyware forum with my problem,however was told to post my problem here.Here is my previous link......http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1882633

A:black screen @ startup

FWIW: Spyware...can generally be easily defeated by running the appropriate software, there is no need to create logs, etc...just install, update and use the applicable applications of your choice.

Understand one thing...there is no one application...that can protect a system all the varying types of malware. System defenses should start with a firewall, installation of all critical updates...be augmented by a reliable AV program...and then reflect at least one program known to be adept at handling spyware/adware.

Did you try to boot into safe mode?

System manufacturer and model?

Have you looked at your system documentation...for clues as to what the problem might be?

Is the cursor flashing in the upper left corner on this black screen?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/339186/black-screen-startup/
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi there,My 2 in 1 (touchscreen with detachable keypad) only displays a black screen upon switching on. It seems it is loading as usual just not displaying (the power light shows it has switched on, and if a device such as a phone is plugged in to the USB port it asks on the phone if the computer can access the photos and shows the phone is charging).I am assuming it is a problem with the display driver as there were a few display issues prior to this happening.I have tried to get into bios by pressing F1-12 on start up but no luck (maybe a touch screen issue????) also the battery isn't accessible so can't remove that without disassembling the touchscreen.Any advice?! Thanks in advance :-)

Hello @Pseudokym, Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums! The forums are a great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community! I read your post about issue with the notebook not starting, and wanted to assist you!  I understand that the screen is blank on startup. Do you also see any blinking LED lights?  Did you install any updates recently?  First, try reviewing the following document, and let me know how it goes:HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boo... Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks! Have a great day!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Black-screen-at-startup/td-p/5641552
Relevancy 95.03%

hiI m posting on behalf of my father in law so I apologise if some of the details about the computer are a bit sketchy but Hewlett Packard workstation XW XP pro with SP He doesnt have a recovery disc as XP was loaded when he got the PC I do have a copy of XP Pro from my own computer Yesterday he thinks there was a virus warning which repeated many times in quick succession and then the computer simply went black and since then we cant get onto it On boot up we get the HP screen and then a black screen no blinking cursor He says the day before he had downloaded the google search tool but I m not sure if this was genuine or a virus I have tried to follow a few of the threads in this forum so i have tried rebooting in all safe modes and with last known configuration all to no avail - just getting the black screen I have also created a recovery console disc and run that up to the point where I have run CHKDSK and been told that the volume appears to be in good condition and was not checked use p if you want to check the volume anyway I dont seem to be able to check CHKDSK P or F or R as i get the command is not recognized message I am typing in p I also tried FIXMBR but the computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid mster boot record and FIXMBR may XP screen - startup HP on Black damage partition tables if i continue I got scared at that point as i m not sure whether I should or shouldnt Can anyone help with this Many thanks in anticipationSteve

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/368076/hp-black-screen-on-xp-startup/
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi I installed a program thats supposed to speed up your pc called quot PC Booster quot anyway i did the autotune they recommended and also did some system tweaks with the program that also is quot recommended quot Anyway after i had finished tweaking my pc it told me to restart the computer for changes to take their affect On restart everything went normal until after the windows loading screen it didnt go to the login screen instead it stayed as a black screen it stays as a black screen for about mins then finally windows starts up and i get my desktop background but it takes another - mins before the icons and taskbar appear On Startup Screen Black after this extremely slow startup the computer seems to run fine so its not that Black Screen On Startup big of a problem but i dont really want my startup to take mins everytime i want to use the computer someone please help me to get my computer starting up properly

A:Black Screen On Startup

well sometimes programs like that mess with the registry and can cause stuff like that I can't really say for sure because I myself haven't used it but what I can suggestr is rolling back your computer to a previous state before you installed it.
to do this click start>all programs>accesories>system tools>system restore
click restore my computer to an earlier point in time and on the calander it should have the date on which you installed your program select that and click next it will go through the process and restart your computer hopefully fixing your problem. just make sure you backup important files that you put on your computer after you installed "PC booster 2008"

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-on-startup-215653.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi, I was watching a movie when my computer froze in the middle of it so I manually restarted it. I have a compaq presario x1000 laptop 1.5 years old. It restarted but then the color on the screen flickered for a few seconds and I got an error message from windows saying a fatal error occured and that the error had been logged. Then it froze again so I manually restarted it again. This time it froze even faster so I tried to restart it again but it wouldn't start up. The power light is on and I can hear the fans running but the screen is black and the compaq logo won't even appear. I tried hooking it up to a monitor to see if the screen was broken but its not. I also tried to stick in a reboot cd but I couldn't see anything on the screen. Any help would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks a lot, Michelle.

A:Please help black screen at startup

The fact that you cannot seem to get ANY kind of "visual" from your computer means you have a very limited number of options, made even less so if you are less than computer inclined. Hooking up another monitor to an alternate video output may "rule-out" your laptop screen (monitor) being bad, but your video card could be out, or worse. Can you hear the Hard Drive spinning and clicking during boot ? Is it making any "beeping" noises ?

The critical step here is if you can boot to BIOS. That means, when you first turn on your computer, start tapping the "del" key about once a second and see if you can get to a 2-color screen (usually white text on blue background).

If you can get THAT far, that means something. If you can't get that far, you should be finding out if your machine is under warranty. You should probably do that anyways, even if you can get to BIOS, because this sounds serious and it sounds like hardware, and if it is still under warranty I would recommend getting it fixed and or replaced now, before it completely detonates after the warranty (if there is one) expires.

If you can get to BIOS, write back and we'll see what can be done.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/please-help-black-screen-at-startup-42300.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Last week monday I turned my computer on and then my screen on Black startup screen went black I let it rest for like hours and still had the same problem I took out all the plugs adapters cors ethernet cable etc Later that day I called geeksquad from bestbuy I went there and they said they ll fix my computer all they need is the Toshiba Restore Disk I gave them that and then days Black screen on startup later I called to check on them and said that they wanted me to pay to re-install the OS and dollars to back up Gig of my data and an extra dollars to backup Gig with an external drive to put the rest of the Gigs in So now the - th day and I give them a heads up They now say the CD Restore Disk isn t working but they ll give it a day In addition if it doesn t workout I d have to call Toshiba to order a new CD Restore Disk I m just curious is this problem really difficult to solve or are they trying to take my money nbsp

Sounds like the hard disk is shot and they are just spinning their wheels with a new install rtc....First thing to do is run checkdisk and if not able to then hdd Regenerator can usually bring the drive back enough to copy it to another drive and then bootup.
I would tell them they don't know what they are doing, pick it up and take it to a real shop.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-on-startup.687231/
Relevancy 95.03%

hey guys. I have been having some problems with my Toshiba laptop recently. I formatted it with Windows 7 ultimate 32bit in December of 2010. sometimes on startup it takes me to the boot manager and asks be if I want to boot into widows or the recovery console. and other times it takes me to a black screen that asks me to do a hard drive scan of some sort. this happens only on startup and completely randomly. the scan has happened 3 or 4 times. and the boot manager only a couple. the first time this happened was prolly about a month ago. I don't think it is a virus or anything. I have nod32 installed on the machine, and my browsing habits are very safe. and like I said the machine was formatted not too long ago. nod32 scan came up blank and I'm not experiencing any other strange behaviors. any ideas? thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/392369/black-screen-on-startup/
Relevancy 95.03%

I have win7 64 bit ultimate. Sometimes when I boot up the screen stays black and monitor says NO SIGNAL.. I have to reboot or turn off the power sometimes to get it going again..very annoying I have an radeon card