Windows Support Forum

Xp Pro Kicked Offline By Firewall ?

Q: Xp Pro Kicked Offline By Firewall ?

Hello all I did away with the problematic ME software and now am trying to learn Kicked By Xp ? Firewall Pro Offline XP Pro I am using a wired D-Link router with DSL high speed service One gig of RAM video card and a processor Also included is AVG Zonelab Spybot and Spyware blaster While there is activity I am fine butt if I walk away from the keyboard for an hour and try to resume where I was at I am no longer connected to the internet ZL gives me a box saying the svchost is being blocked I have allowed it full access with the program control panel settings butt it is still timing out somewhere I check the router time out setting and have green checks across the board in ZL for this service Upon reboot all is well again until there is a lapse in activity and then I get the ZL box Can someone give me some direction towards a solution btw I have had my IP check the line and re-check the line it runs fine when it is running Thankx xtraloud

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Xp Pro Kicked Offline By Firewall ?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Xp Pro Kicked Offline By Firewall ?

What version of XP Pro are you using? Does it have SP2 (SP2 has a firewall)?
start > right click on My Computer > Properties

If so, you may have two firewalls running at once, Windows firewall and ZoneLabs firewall (if you have the ZoneLab firewall). But it is easy to check and should be the first thing to check IMHO.

To turn off Windows firewall:
Start > Control Panel > Security Center
Scroll down to the bottom of the page, click on Windows Firewall to open up a window that will allow you to turn it off.

Running two firewalls at once is not a good idea.

Like I said, this is a quick and easy thing to do, and may be the problem. Let us know.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34681/xp-pro-kicked-offline-by-firewall/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hello
Hard Drive not Visible in My Computer I go to computer management

> Disk managements

I don't know what can I do and when I right click on it and select any option some error message appear with The Media is write protected :/

WD Elements 1023 usd HD offline&Not Initialized

plz help me

A:WD Elements 1023 usd HD offline & Not Initialized

Go here: http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/3868 and download the "quick formatter" software to return the drive to "out of box" condition.

Post back, Hope this helps!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-elements-1023-usd-hd-offline-not-initialized.197548/
Relevancy 23.65%

There use to be an official site where one could buy the Alpha Shield but I can't find it anymore. Does anyone know what became of this product or if it's useful? I've only heard good things about it.

A:Whatever happened to the Alpha Shield hardware firewall?

Jskid, I just ran across your question (on Oct.28, 2014!) I bought one in 2004...it worked well until three years later when we moved to the Niagara Peninsula, at which time the unit simply cut all access to the Net. A tech tried it, and said "Toss it." A rather expensive lesson.
Brian, sadder/poorer/wiser.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/whatever-happened-to-the-alpha-shield-hardware-firewall.166371/
Relevancy 24.51%

I've heard if you use a router you don't need a firewall because the router already has one.
Does that hold true if your hooked up to the router wireless?

A:Routers firewall

Yes, it stands true if you hook up wirelessly. Just make sure the router is secure. Also, Windows and OS X have a built in secondary FireWall.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/routers-firewall.201222/
Relevancy 30.53%

I have a decently built gaming tower with a outta windows experience score that plays offline games great but on my online games other offline FPS fps online 60 Games, Low with than SW TOR and GW my FPS s drop to around ten or less here are my specs Component Details Subscore Base score Processor AMD Phenom tm II X T Processor Determined by lowest subscore Memory RAM GB Graphics ATI Radeon HD Series Gaming graphics MB Total available graphics memory Primary hard disk GB Low FPS with online Games, 60 fps offline Free GB Total Windows Home Premium System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd Model GA- FXA-UD Total amount of system memory GB RAM System type -bit operating system Number of processor cores Storage Total size of hard disk s GB Disk partition C GB Free GB Total Disk partition D GB Free GB Total Media drive E CD DVD Graphics Display adapter type ATI Radeon HD Series Total available graphics memory Low FPS with online Games, 60 fps offline MB Dedicated graphics memory MB Dedicated system memory MB Shared system memory MB Display adapter driver version Primary monitor Low FPS with online Games, 60 fps offline resolution x DirectX version DirectX Network Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Network Adapter Realtek RTL n Wireless LAN Mini- PCI NIC Network Adapter Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter Any idea on how to improve it nbsp

A:Low FPS with online Games, 60 fps offline

It sounds to me like you've got yourself some good old lag

The way to improve it would be to upgrade your internet connection to a faster plan, and possibly acquire a new modem/router if the one you have is not up to the task.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/low-fps-with-online-games-60-fps-offline.194510/
Relevancy 30.53%

I just moved to an area where high speed internet is unavailable I ve been using my phone and tethering the data for internet so far which was been working fine However I have been wanted to use my wireless printer without having to go to the room it is in and plugging into it directly I m pretty good with computers but networking somtimes gets me Setting network an up offline wireless pretty confused What I want to do is have a wireless network that I can use to connect to my printer which supports wifi printing but that network doesn t need to Setting up an offline wireless network be online since my only source of internet is my phone I thought I could just set up a network like normal but not supply it with internet but unfortunetly when I connect to this network even though I am still connected to my other quot network quot I can t use the internet Is there any way to solve this problem Hopefully I am Setting up an offline wireless network clear and someone will understand my problem Let me know if you have any other questions and I ll do my best to answer them Thanks nbsp

A:Setting up an offline wireless network

Before you leap into using your cell as an Internet connection,
make sure you understand the charges for DATA for your cell phone provider - -
it can be 100s of dollars per hour!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setting-up-an-offline-wireless-network.156447/
Relevancy 40.85%

I kicked what? it, gs 7600 now finally got almost half a decade outta my Nvidia gs mb card and finally I boot my system to long short beep post error I m finally willing to give in and get a replacement MSI NEO-F P Intel S Motherboard Intel Pentium GHz HT MB GB 7600 gs finally kicked it, now what? PC - MHz DDR RAM planning on adding - gb W Antec Power supply I live in the US I only game - and earlier Actually I m pretty retro though I d like to maybe play say Oblivion for example on descent settings nvm the ram Also HD video playback is fairly Important as well The highest resolution I would be running is with maybe a second monitor or television running lower Prefer also a quiet card or at least not a super noisy one I ve spent most the day scouring pricewatch and amazon only to achieve a headache From what I ve seen I think I can get a card for - but there are so many holiday specials I can t decide nbsp

A:7600 gs finally kicked it, now what?

If your looking for a decent and cheap video card i prefer you to buy the ATI HD 5450, around 40 bucks but upgrade your PSU. I also game 2008 and lower.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/7600-gs-finally-kicked-it-now-what.174854/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have a Sonicwall firewall. I want the Sonicwall to go from an Embarq dsl modem (address 10.0.0.1), to a switch. The switch connects company computers as well as a wireless router. I ran the configuration wizard and the Sonicwall gave itself a wan address of 10.0.0.12 and I assigned a lan address of 192.168.3.1. When I connect the Embarq into the WAN port on the Sonicwall, and the LAN port into my laptop I get internet and everything works well. If I connect the Sonicwall LAN port into the switch internet connectivity is loss and the company users lose internet. How do I connect the Sonicwall to the switch and maintain internet connectivity.

A:Sonicwall firewall configuration

Dhcp

Everything is good! I had thought my switch was unmanageable, turns out it is! It had DHCP Turned on. So I turned off DHCP on the WAN port of the Sonicwall. If a moderator could mark this SOLVED that would be great

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sonicwall-firewall-configuration.170172/
Relevancy 23.22%

I need modem firewall -> SonicWall switch router Cable -> a and some assistance with our network at the office We recently switched from having our data and voice being managed through a T and a phone server on site to having a cable modem and a virtual PBX Previous set up was T Line - gt Box from T provided - gt Cable modem -> switch -> router and a SonicWall firewall one line to the phone server and a second line to a SonicWall Cable modem -> switch -> router and a SonicWall firewall Firewall which then went to a couple of dell switches We have switched to a cable modem with static IP s and a Cable modem -> switch -> router and a SonicWall firewall virtual PBX Tech support for the PBX company suggested we configure our net work as follows --- gt Router--- gt Switch that connects to all phones Cable Mode -- gt Unmanaged switch-- --- gt SonicWall-- gt Switch that connects to computers I configured the router for the phones and that works with no problems But when I configure the SonicWall with the information provided by our cable modem provider it worked but the SonicWall said it needed to restart after configuration so I clicked restart Then the the internet connection wouldn t work and I couldn t get back into the SonicWall After numerous attempts at powering down the SonicWall and switch I finally was able to access it again and then the connection disappeared and finally I got access back again and reset everything to how it was on the T line The WAN setting on the SonicWall are as follows SonicWALL WAN IP NAT Public Address I set this to an IP address in the range provided and made sure it was different than the one in use by the router for the phones WAN Subnet Mask I set this to the subnet our provider sent listed WAN Gateway Router Address I set this to the Gateway address our provider listed DNS Server amp Set to what our provider sent over There is also an option for LAN settings SonicWALL LAN IP Address I left this as it was LAN Subnet Mask I set this to the subnet mask our provider listed From reading the setup guide for the SonicWall everything seems to be correct but then I am not able to access it nor do we have an internet connection The phones still work so there is connectivity to the modem I also tried connecting directly to the SonicWall rather than through a switch with no success Reseting seems to eventually work but I am not sure if that worked or if it was something else I am not sure what additional information would be needed so if you need something else please let me know nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cable-modem-switch-router-and-a-sonicwall-firewall.168798/
Relevancy 24.51%

I have tried everything to figure out why I can't get any RDP connection. I can connect remotely within my network so I know it is not an RDP setting. I believe that I have forwarded the port and opened the firewall but I still instantly time out when trying to get in through the net. I am using XP and D-link DI-624 router. my settings are listed. Am I just missing something?

A:Firewall / RDP

the firewall settings should be
allow TCP IN/OUT port 3389​and then you need to port forward port 3389 to your PC address

which must be a static address or a DHCP reserved address.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/firewall-rdp.161575/
Relevancy 40.85%

OK, here is the problem. I'm browsing online with Chrome when all of the sudden it shuts off and refuses to let me browse more until I have disconnected and reconnected to the network. Its a wired network and ive disconnected my router and modem in exchange for another therefore eliminating those as the problem. The funny thing is i am still connected to the internet because I can still chat with my friends on Google talk and skype. Its very strange and i have not gotten any leads yet. Any help would be much appreciated.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/kicked-off-internet-every-few-minutes.158181/
Relevancy 30.96%

Hey I ve recently had my laptop returned from the repair center and I ve VGA offline graphics installed The Sims Now before I sent my laptop to them for repairs Sims worked fine now it has a problem with my Graphics VGA graphics offline I get an error message saying quot Unable to VGA graphics offline start game Device cannot run this title No supported VGA graphics offline video graphics card detected Please check your system hardware quot I ran EA s Easy Info V tool and everything passes their tests except from the Display Adapter Memory Sims requires kb and mine was showing kb I looked at the advanced info and it showed that the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter is offline I was looking into this a bit and found that I actually need to download this from my Graphics Manufacturers website I went onto Acer and couldn t find anything I have never been good at looking for and installing patches and updates for my hardware and always need help with it because I don t have a clue what I m doing Can anybody help me with what I need to download where to get it and how to install I have an Acer Aspire Laptop and the graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD Graphics nbsp

A:VGA graphics offline

Install the latest Radeon drivers from ATi. www.ati.com

Top right of the page, download drivers...

Select Notebook graphics
Mobility radeon series
Mobility radeon HD 3xxxx series
Finally select your OS, and then click view results.

From the page which opens, download the "Catalyst Software Suite"

Once downloaded, install it, and then reboot your notebook.

Then try the game again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/vga-graphics-offline.151251/
Relevancy 23.65%

I would like something that will not ask all kind of questions and will do a good job of protecting me. If anyone can answere this I would appreciate a link.

Thanks

A:A good firewall (software) compactable with with Windows XP

XP has its own firewall which is good enough to do the job,

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a-good-firewall-software-compactable-with-with-windows-xp.143698/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hello all, I am new here and I hope some one might help me. I have an issue which may be router/firewall related and I have next to no knowledge on that or networking systems. Me and a friend are trying to play a game online together and I try to start a stand-alone server through my own machine. On my friend's end gets messages saying I am blocking with possibility of a router or firewall or such. I have tried disabling my firewall but that had not worked.
Any help would be appreciated!

A:Router/firewall issues

If your friend is connected (wired or wifi) to your router, you can fix that.

Otherwise, to gave a game server on your ISP connection with a friend elsewere on the Internet, is a real problem.
Both need firewall rules, and this one needs port forwarding from your router to your game server.

HOWEVER, that is not only a security risk, but likely in violatin of your EULA (End User License Agreement)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/router-firewall-issues.142380/
Relevancy 40.42%

First of all thank you for viewing this topic as the data on this hard drive is extremely sentimental Some of my greatest memories such as my wedding are on this hard drive so I appreciate ANY help you can give me I have a TB Seagate Expansion External Drive ST EXA -RK yesterday my foot decided to accidentally kick the power supply and a noticed a few minutes later windows was giving me the following error message quot Windows was unable Power Supply kicked HD External was to External HD Power Supply was kicked save all the data for the file F MFT The data has been lost This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection quot At first I didn t think much of it I viewed the drive and all the contents were shown but no videos were playing I thought it was a codec issue at first because I just recently nuked my computer Most files don t open on the drive The thumbnails for the pictures were still showing some pictures I could still open some text files were intact Later on I made a small text file wrote something in it and saved it to the drive to see if I could still write and it saved properly I have never restarted my computer as I ve read it may not allow me to see the drive anymore I tried copying the files but windows gives me the quot Cannot read from source file or disk quot error After a little while I opened up some pictures possibly not the same ones and only of the picture I opened would be showing the rest greyed out After I went to sleep the thumbnails don t work SHORT VERSION and WHAT I VE DONE Running XP Kicked external power supply TB Seagate Expansion External Drive ST EXA -RK Error quot Windows was unable to save all the data for the file F mft quot Can still see filenames on hard drive Cannot open most files even text files Some files do open Pictures displaying only Can create and save a txt file Slept Picture thumbnails gone Pictures don t work Actions Taken PC Inspector doesn t detect my F Drive Recuva Detects the Drive but says quot The process cannot open the file because another process has locked a portion of the file quot Panda Recovery DOES detect my drive but has the error message quot failed to open selected disk drive quot Questions I read that enabling disk cache may cause this problem But I believe this is different as I kicked the power supply Do I risk losing any information by turning this off to see if that works Should I restart my CPU Do I risk anything by NOT restarting the computer The hard drive has begun to click a little bit sometimes and like I said pictures are now no longer viewable Does it make sense that if I don t restart it could harm the drive or no If anybody has ANY idea on what I can do PLEASE post CPU XP Home Service Pack Intel R Celeron R CPU GHz GB of RAM nbsp

A:External HD Power Supply was kicked

jra64 said:

The hard drive has begun to click a little bit sometimesClick to expand...

Can you elaborate "clicking"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hd-power-supply-was-kicked.141306/
Relevancy 23.65%

I am not very technology smart but here goes, My dell laptop will not connect to the internet and there is no firewall it will not let me enable it. I just keep getting error messages It is on vista.

A:Firewall not working Cannot enable No internet access

ip

you may have to sue a private address

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/firewall-not-working-cannot-enable-no-internet-access.140621/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi All

I tried to install Outpost's free firewall today. Unfortunately all my adapters -- broadcom 440x 10/100 and intel proset/wireless 2200bg don't work. i uninstalled outpost. under device manager it left a yellow exclamation with a number of agnitum adapters including the ones above. i tried clean.exe in safe mode to remove the remaining adapters.

So here is the bigger problem, when i try to uninstall and the reinstall either of the adapters from the driver executables, it starts, does a partial install, but then gives me an error indicating that a file (necessary to complete the install) cannot be found.

I've spent the better part of the day dealing with what should be a simply uninstall reinstall issue. HELP!

sys info - dell inspiron 700m laptop running xp sp3

A:Outpost firewall disabled my network adapters - Help

To clarify then

1) You can uninstall BOTH the wireless and LAN driver without problem, correct?
2) But you cannot install BOTH the wireless and LAN drive? They BOTH have the same problem during the install (about a file missing?)
3) And are you installing the latest drivers fourn on the Dell support website?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/outpost-firewall-disabled-my-network-adapters-help.137856/
Relevancy 30.53%

hi guys i m new here. is this section used for problems with the internet n wireless? coz i need help big time

A:Wireless laptop randomly goes offline

While I might not be the one who can solve your problem, I can tell you that this is the right forum for that type of question.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-laptop-randomly-goes-offline.124460/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hey there i would like to know whether it is possible to configure the "inside interface" of cisco router with /24 subnet, which is connected to a layer 3 switch which has few network segment using /23 subnet...would it cause routing conflict?

FIREWALL "inside" interface (192.168.150.0/24) |----->LAYER 3 SWITCH------->internal network, 192.168.10.0/23 192.168.100.0/24

A:Cisco Firewall configure question

singapork said:

configure the "inside interface" of cisco router with /24 subnet, which is connected to a layer 3 switch which has few network segment using /23 subnet...would it cause routing conflict?

FIREWALL "inside" interface" (192.168.150.0/24) |----->LAYER 3 SWITCH------->internal network, 192.168.10.0/23 192.168.100.0/24Click to expand...

hmm; *IF* there's one connection from the Cisco to the switch which then provides the fan-out into the x.100.0/24, then the rules would be generic filters; high level, non-destination ip specific (no layer 2,3 rules)

there should not be problems with that approach.

Think of the Cisco as a gateway filter and then the L3 Switch as the low level controller.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cisco-firewall-configure-question.124043/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hmm well I've tried to turn it on in services but I get an error. So I've tried performing a disc clean and ran sfc /scannow. It still will not start. Any ideas?

A:Printer spooler offline and will not start

Go to Start -> Run and type
net start spooler

Or manually: Start->Run->services.msc
Locate Print Spooler, double click on it and change it to Automatic, then start it

If this doesn't help, uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers (likely fault)

Or if still no joy: UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/printer-spooler-offline-and-will-not-start.123579/
Relevancy 26.23%

Offline files - Unable to make ..... Files of this type cannot be made available offline.
I am trying to figure out what to do. It is a word document for address labels. When we go to shut down the computer the sync comes on and then stops with this error message. What can I do to get this to stop coming up? Thanks.

A:Offline files - Unable to make files of this type

Start here; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/252509

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/offline-files-unable-to-make-files-of-this-type.121179/
Relevancy 20.64%

Just spent several hours reading, with growing fear,
all the stuff on the Internet Security board.

Regarding many recommendations to have a good
hardware firewall in a router, what's a good one
with an up to date firewall?

I'm putting together a new system, do NOT
want it corrupted right away!

Thanks for any recommendations!

A:What's a good home cable router with a good firewall?

Hi men, look in web page of cisco system this is a big company on the nertworking area...maybe can help with you problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/whats-a-good-home-cable-router-with-a-good-firewall.33717/
Relevancy 24.08%

To get two-way firewall protection in Windows Vista, do the following:

Click on the Start button; in the search space, type "wf.msc" and press Enter.
Click on the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security icon.
This management interface displays the inbound and outbound rules.
Click on Windows Firewalls Properties. You should now see a dialog box with several tabs.
For each profile -- Domain, Private and Public -- change the setting to Block, and then click OK.

Even if you do this tweak, I recommend adding a more robust third-party firewall.
I suggest either Comodo Firewall Pro or ZoneAlarm, both of which are free and fare
very well in independent firewall testing. Also consider Sunbelt --
30 trail but after it expires, you lose nothing important and the system is very unintrusive

A:Vista two-way firewall protection

Nice find. I recently came across that bit of information myself. I was going to bring it out during a firewall discussion thread but it seems you've beat me to it and this might be a better approach anyway.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/vista-two-way-firewall-protection.118863/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi all,

This is my first post,

My main computer is just about dead (ill be doing the 8 steps later) - im using it now and "borrowing" a neighbor's internet connection because mine is acting weird.

a friend loaned me a laptop while i fix my other comp, the laptop cant connect to the internet.

I just got done talking to tech support, and we pinged a couple sites, that all worked. but something is keeping IE from accessing the internet,

There is only windows standard firewall, and i took that down for now. i dont know what is blocking internet access!

Can someone help?

A:Cannot Connect to internet, Firewall is down and I can Ping out, what is wrong?

Hi Ryan

Get the Attachment on a Flash drive or burn to CD get to the desktop of the problem computer.

Click here: try to get the attachment the malware may allow programs to run!

On this board Executable (.EXE ) can not be attached so download the Fixit.zip Rt Click it get Properties and in the name box change from Fixit.zip to Fixit.exe.

Boot to Safe mode and execute it. When it reboots execute it once again from normal boot. When it boots back up you should be able to work somewhat normally, at least to do the 8 Step Process.

Mike

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-connect-to-internet-firewall-is-down-and-i-can-ping-out-what-is-wrong.116782/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hello I have SBS and client PC s Win XP Pro on a domain All can access the internet fine I can ping all pc s fine I log on as the administrator I shared a few print drivers on the server but when I try to go through network places MS network entire network the server shows up but when I attempt to open it it says I may not have permission to access the network and some other irritating stuff Same thing when I try the Add Printer in the printers window I turned off Win firewall and was able to cant access network from client Firewall issue, access all fine for about minutes then got the same warning again cant access Do I need to do a simple Firewall issue, cant access network from client reboot of the server to get the settings to stick or is it some related service that is now off that won t allow access through my network places now that I turned off win firewall I tried putting firewall back on and set the exceptions for file and print sharing and then not only couldn t I access my network but it also stopped the internet sharing on all clients Even tried turning off firewall different ways through control pannel and through run services msc and firewall cpl I even turned off win firewall on the client still no go Only time all works perfect is for the to minutes following my turning off firewall then goes right back to access denied Not sure what other exceptions I may need to checkmark or how firewall can be configured to do its job and still let me access my own network and internet Pretty frustrating I should say some client pc s have the print share drivers installed from long ago and work fine but I can t use the network to get to these shared print drivers or anything else at this time I figure it s something I need to do to my server what do you think Thanks for the help nbsp

A:Firewall issue, cant access network from client

see this vista tip: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx

it is mostly germane (just ignore the Public vs Private settings)

For background
Sharing uses ports

138: Name services: this controls the visibility of system names in View Entire Network --> Ms Windows Network -->Workgroup
139,445: these are the actual data ports used for access (Samba and CIFS support). Printers will show up here too.
631: this is the print spooling port for CUPS support
the default Windows FW sets these on the exceptions tab: Print/File sharing,
but SBS 2003 doesn't run that -- WHAT FW are you running?

Check me out here: Does SBS 2003 support the GPO features? If so, be sure that
Enumerate Shares is still allowed, otherwise, you can only get access using
\\systemname\sharename

Once you get to this point, user/passwords become the issue in two ways:

network authentication
NFTS Permissions

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/firewall-issue-cant-access-network-from-client.116149/
Relevancy 30.96%

Ok, so I stupidly installed Vista Premium after setting up and getting a RAID to work. I hooked up two 1TB WD Caviars and set them up in a RAID 1 configuration. After getting it all working and serving all my media, I decided to change Vista Business to Premium. I installed the OS on a separate hard drive than the RAID, but now when I boot up the RAID doesn't show. When I go into Disk Management, the RAID shows up but "Offline." What do I do?????

When I right-click it gives me the option to change it from Dynamic to Basic, but that would wipe out all the data.... any suggestions???

A:RAID says its offline

Go into RAID BIOS menu and check its status (Online/Offline ?)
If it states Online, then you may have a faulty HardDrive

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-says-its-offline.113528/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi,

I have a WEP 128 with 2 desktops and 2 laptops, all with Zonealarm installed, and connected to the Orange Livebox router, by wireless.

On 1 laptop, I have a printer connected and have enabled it for Printer Sharing. I also have shared documents on each of them which I have allowed access. If I disable ZoneAlarm I can access the workgroup, \\MSHOME.

Otherwise, I can't. I have to turn Zonealarm off.

I have tried:
Allowing the IP range of 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.255 to the trusted zone... doesn't work.

Any one have any ideas?

Thanks.

A:Sharing printer files over Orange Wireless Network and Zonealarm firewall

PING is a useless test for this condition.

I'll refer you to a Vista Page, but everything except the Public vs Private comments
apply to ALL Windows systems.

For firewall control, you need special ports to be allowed, but only for YOUR lan addresses.

IF your lan is 192.168.1.1 thru 192.168.1.255, then

Code:

allow TCP/UDP in src iprange 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.255 ports 135-139,445
allow TCP/UDP out dest iprange 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.255 ports 135-139,445
allow UDP in src iprange 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.255 port 631
allow UDP out dest iprange 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.255 port 631

the first two are file sharing and will work for Mac, Linux and Windows,
the last two remote print spooling

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sharing-printer-files-over-orange-wireless-network-and-zonealarm-firewall.111788/
Relevancy 24.08%

My friend and I are trying to set up a couple of Counter-Strike: Source. But because we both have routers we are having trouble doing so. I know that routers have internal or hardware firewalls, so how can we disable these? We are usually very good with hardware, but we've never eally messed with networks and stuff. So we are hardware experts not network experts.

Also our routers are from linsys and netgear.

Thanks in advance.

A:How to disable Router firewall

If you are trying to connect over the Internet then you should just open the proper ports on the firewall. Taking down the entire firewall is a bad idea.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-disable-router-firewall.77256/
Relevancy 24.51%

I get a firewall conflict warning while trying to hook up my computer to a router.

A:Firewall conflict

Tell us more. There have been many firewall issues caused by a Microsoft update KB951748.
But this is normally a setup issue. Uninstall or disable the firewall, install the router, reinstall the firewall.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/firewall-conflict.108477/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hello.

I have tried to open port 5900 - 5906 on my 3Com Officeconnect cable/DSL router in order to log into the VNC server running on my computer (from the Internet).

I have selected port 5900-5906 and the (local) IP address of the computer hosting the VNC server using the "virtual server" option on the firewall settings. The VNC server does run un port 5900.

However, I am not able to connect to the VNC server. Anyone have any ideas how to correct this error?

A:RealVNC firewall troubles on 3Com officeconnect router

How and from where are you trying to connect? Many routers do not support loopback connections - you cannot connect to your own internet address from your internal network.

Is the software firewall on the computer cofigured properly? Make sure that the VNC server is configured to accept connections from all remote addresses. Can you connect to the VNC server using another computer on the LAN?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/realvnc-firewall-troubles-on-3com-officeconnect-router.97838/
Relevancy 24.08%

Which is better linksys wireless n firewall enabled with wpa2 or software firewall. I here that if you have a hardware firewall then the software one is pretty much useless, what do you people say?.

A:Hardware vs Software firewall?

pimpmypc said:

Which is better linksys wireless n firewall enabled with wpa2 or software firewall. I here that if you have a hardware firewall then the software one is pretty much useless, what do you people say?.Click to expand...

A hardware firewall appliance is much better than a software FW.
However, Linksys with WPA{1,2} (or any other cheap router) is hardly a hardware firewall appliance.
All routers we get for home use have NAT support and some have SPI protection.
These are the very minimal services of a firewall. In short, home users will
need a software firewall to protect each system on the LAN or need to layout some
serious cash to get a real firewall appliance.

here's a list of a few Hardware Firewalls:

Hot Brick
3com FW Switch
3ComŪ X506

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hardware-vs-software-firewall.102101/
Relevancy 40.85%

Hello! I just bought a Belkin Wireless Router G plus MIMO and I still get kicked out of online games (remember before I got an old Linksys), I don't understand why? I have no idea, I have moved the router to higher locations, I moved it to a diferrent room and still the same problem, I don't know much of the settings of the router but is there anything I can modify to get rid of this problem? is 40-45ft really that much for wireless gaming? however I have to get across two walls, is that the problem? the signal indicates 82% please help me I don't know what else to try and I want to play games online with my Nintendo Wii.

A:Still getting kicked out of online gaming

I thought it could be Internet speed but on my wired PC I never have this problem when gaming online, I thought could be poor reception from the Wii, but the PS3 does the same thing, anybody? help will be highly appreciated!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/still-getting-kicked-out-of-online-gaming.98646/
Relevancy 30.53%

Howdy,

I have recently acquired a new laptop and have installed my printer software on it and have linked it via the wireless network, but it shows the printer is offline....what can I do to bring it available? I'm stumped.

Btw, the printer software is also installed on my server and I am able to print from the server, just not my laptop.

A:Network printer offline-cannot change

You have to set up the printer My Network Places so you can see it there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-printer-offline-cannot-change.96270/
Relevancy 24.51%

Last night my hardware Sonicwall firewall took a crap The wrench light came on and it stopped working smelling like it fried My network must stay Firewall issue online so I had to find a firewall solution and fast It wasn t a problem for the office computers as they Firewall issue all run XP and have Sunbelt personal firewall installed and running But the server and the Exchange box both run on windows server and the Sunbelt firewall is not compatible I scrambled for a temporary solution and installed Sygate Personal Firewall on both machines After installing the Sygate firewall and putting the network back online the file server is now logging this this is my exchange box within the network so I don t know what is going on Everything seems to be functioning properly but these logs worry me I know that the Sygate firewall is no longer supported and is kind of old so can anyone suggest a good software firewall to run on my Win server s nbsp

A:Firewall issue

sorry i can't help you too much mate, i don't have any experience with windows server 2003 but somebody else who is online no might that wasn't online earlier

sounds to me like the firewall is blocking access attempts to the 192.168.168.101 ip so check its settings but other than that i'm out of ideas i'm afraid and like i say, i don't know windows server edition

bump

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/firewall-issue.93225/
Relevancy 23.65%

My ZoneAlarm firewall thing is denying access from my other computer to the computer with ZoneAlarm on it. I tried finding the "Trusted Zone" area but I can not locate it.

I have version: 7.0.362.000
TrueVector engine version: 7.0.362.000
Driver version: 7.0.362.000.

It is the ZoneAlarm that monitors internet traffic too (if there is another one)

Thanks,
Chris

A:ZoneAlarm Firewall Denying Network

Update Windows XP and use the Windows firewall

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/zonealarm-firewall-denying-network.90552/
Relevancy 25.8%

I have XP, and a Samsung laser printer. I made that the default printer. At first it worked. Now, it says it is "offline," and several "copies" of the printer icon show up under "printers," called Samsung (copy 1), etc. When I tell it to print a document, it goes in the queue and stays there--no printing!
Can someone tell me why copies of the printer icon proliferate, and why it won't print?

Phil

A:New PC, printer shown as "offline"

Remove all those printers copies and keep the first that doesn't have (copyX) next to it. Now you need to purge the print spooler buffer. To do this you need to click on start, then on run: Type: services.msc

scroll down for the print spooler once you find this you just need to right click on it then click on restart. That's it.

Try to print something again..

If that doesn't work then uninstall the driver. Then unplug the printer. Reboot the system. Then install the driver again. Nex connect the printer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-pc-printer-shown-as-offline.89017/
Relevancy 30.53%

Adobe Premiere Offline problem While editing some video footage a number of clips previously editing in the timeline window changed their status unaided - to an Offline condition This was depicted by both the video and audio tracks turning pink from the normal green A solid red line also appeared in the work area bar as would normally be seen if the clip needed to be rendered Interestingly at the same time I noticed that the audio info in the project window appeared to show that the audio had been imported on the Offline clips at Hz while the video problem 'offline Premiere 6.0 Adobe clips not affected showed they had been imported at Hz I believe that I had imported them all at the same level I had Adobe Premiere 6.0 'offline problem been editing the video of both sets of clips without a problem up to this point I am able to import the clips again onto the timeline without getting this offline condition but have of course to re-edit those clips already done Any answers as to why it happened and secondly how the previous OK state can be recovered without having to start over Colin Jones nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adobe-premiere-6-0-offline-problem.84509/
Relevancy 24.51%

I know that your supposed to only really have one firewall but I have my hardware firewall on my router and then a software firewall on trend micro internet security 2007. I was wondering if i should disable the trend micro one and just use the one on my 2Wire modem. And i was also wondering if its ok to use a hardware and software firewall without any interference.

A:Firewall Help

What you have is OK if you are happy with what Trend Micro offers. But you would never want two software firewalls.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/firewall-help.80917/
Relevancy 24.51%

On my network 74+ machines I have 6 of these machines I can not do a remote invintory on. I am using Network Inventory Lite.

What it tells me when I go to connect to one of these 6 michines is that I have no access rights or there is a firewall turned on. On the access rights I am connecting to the machines as domain admin and all personal fire walls (XP pro) I think the firewall is not a problem due to a couple of the machines being 2000 and have no firewalls.

So it must be a networking problem? Tho I can conect with Goverlan and take full control of the machines as well as look at the specs on the machine?

I am about to rub the rest of my hair off my head on this one.

Any ideas?

A:Firewall or no access

If there is no firewall, maybe some essential services have been disabled that Network Inventory relies on? Something like RPC or Remote Registry or File and Printer Sharing?

Are the machines actually in the domain? Maybe try removing and re-adding them?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/firewall-or-no-access.73397/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hello guys.
I just upgraded my broadband subscription with AOL and they sent me a complimentary netgear WiFi router.

Very handy because I bought my daughter a laptop for Christmas 'which comes preloaded with Norton Security antivirus and firewall.

On our desktop we are running AVG antivirus and XP firewall 'now I'm not sure but I think the router has a built-in firewall? If so is it safe for me a turn off the firewall on the laptop because I think it's slowing it up big time.

I'm not a very technically minded person so any other tips you can give me to improve the connection between my desktop and my girls laptop would be much appreciated.

I also done a bandwidth test and at worst we get 2 MB and at best 5 MB.

Thanks very much.

A:Wifi & Firewall????

First off, Norton is known to be resource hog so I'm not surprised that you find it to be slowing up the laptop. Unless you have some really good reason not to, you should probably remove the Norton Antivirus and Firewall from the laptop.

In general it's always a good idea to run a software firewall on your computer even if you already have one built into your router. It's also generally not a good idea to use the ordinary XP firewall, instead use a free alternative like ZoneAlarm or Kerio.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-firewall.68066/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi all,

Basically using a Speedtouch 580 wireless DSL Router as a means of sharing internet access throughout the house. The problem is that I need to connect to my works VPN via a Sonicwall connection and I'm getting the following error message:

The peer is not responding to phase 1 ISAKMP requests.

Now I'm pretty sure its down to the NAT firewall on my router so I was wondering if anyone knew of the settings I need to configure to get this to work. Or if anyone has any better solutions?

Cheers for any help,

Regards,

Marty

A:NAT Firewall on router blocking sonicwall VPN?

The only ways to get around a NAT that I know of, are to port forward for the application with which you are trying to connect or to use DMZ, if the router supports it, which I wouldn't recommend. Apart from that I'm not too clued up on your situation. Some routers support VPN passthrough, if so then you can configure that from the router's web based interface, and shouldn't need to port forward or do anything else.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nat-firewall-on-router-blocking-sonicwall-vpn.62155/
Relevancy 19.35%

I'm sorry to start a new thread, but the solutions I found gave the solution, but only temporarily.

I get the firewall Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running error. I reset the winsock, search with Spybot and destroy, and check in Control Panel that the settings are set to automatic, then restart, and it works. But after a short while, it just ceases to work.

And also, each time I fold down the top of the laptop and open it back up later, I get the wireless error: Windows cannot configure this wireless connection, if you have enabled another program to use this... But this happens ONLY when I fold it down and back up.

Is there a permanent solution to these problems?

A:Firewall problems + Wireless problems

As far as folding down the Laptop, what (in power management) is the computer set to do when the laptop is closed? If it's set to Hibernate change it to either shut down or go to standby and disable hibernation by unchecking the box. Hibernation can cause problems with some Laptops.
Turn off Windows Firewall and use either Sygate Personal Firewall or the free Zone Alarm one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/firewall-problems-wireless-problems.58302/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have a wireless netgear router that aparently has a built in firewall, and aparently I need to open certain ports in order to do some things

1. play diablo 2. I can get on but only occasionly and i get randomly booted of after about 20 minutes of play

2. play X-box live I can play great, unless certain people on my friends list are hosting the game. I'm not 100% sure if this is because of my router's firewall.

Basicaly I'm mostly concerned over diablo 2 I need to know how to open ports in my fire wall so I can connect and stay connected.

A:Problem with router firewall

Go here http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm and choose your router and the program you are trying to use and it will tell you the ports and how to do it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-router-firewall.58360/
Relevancy 24.08%

I've seen longg threads of best firewall debates on many forums, and always lots of people saying they don't need a software firewall cause they have a router which is a hardware firewall, but I've seen some say you still need one even with a router cause a router wont block outgoing connections.

Soo, if that made any sense, I hope it did, I finally bought a router today, a wired Linksys router, because I needed to split my connection for another PC, was very easy to setup and configure all working with no problems at all.

My only question now, whose right, and do I still need a software firewall at all, I still use Sygate, now that I have a router? And how good IS the protection from a router's hardware firewall?

A:Got a router, still need software firewall?

It's not a matter of who's right and who's wrong. It's a matter of personal preference. If you feel comfortable without a software firewall then that's ok but the main reason to have the software firewall, like you mentioned is to monitor outgoing traffic, like keyloggers and certain viruses.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/got-a-router-still-need-software-firewall.55464/
Relevancy 24.08%

any one familiar with firebox X 15 edge by watch guard... is this product good for firewall, router, vpn use... is it viable solution to other expensive produtcs for firewall, router network connectivity...

I plan to use it for small business for multiple locations in conjuction with XP pro and home edition....

cheers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/router-firewall-firebox.55346/
Relevancy 23.65%

i didnt have a firewall for my desktop so i installed kerio it is also installed on my laptop before this file sharing and internet connection sharing worked fine with kerio installed on the laptop after installation on desktop pc i tried to access the net from the latop but my lan status is given as quot limited or no connectivity quot because of no network address assigned i tried setting quot gateway mode quot on my desktop pc work firewall, installed lan doesnt and also allowed netbios and installed firewall, lan doesnt work ALG exe to access all areas but it still doesnt work once kerio was uninstalled my lan worked fine again i need some help on what settings to put and how did anybody else set it up thanks in advance btw i using kerio version i dont use the latest version becasue it keeps on bsod-ing when i click quot allow quot more then times in a row this is a know issue according to sunbelt edit just realized this is the wrong section blush can a mod please move it thanks nbsp

A:installed firewall, lan doesnt work

you need to find the panel in kerio to allow friendly network
what ever your network is IE:192.168.1.1
I think kerio has a forum to help nav to these panels

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installed-firewall-lan-doesnt-work.49161/
Relevancy 24.08%

I am looking for a cheap hardware device to act as a firewall that will prevent Internet access unless it is to the address of my proxy server I was looking at a Netgear RP as a possible solution Here is the scenario I am working with I have locations with computers at each They are for Internet only a workgroup with addresses supplied by DHCP through a router and the ISP is cable with a separate connection in each location The cable company owns the router that is in each location but we are not able to modify it We have set up a caching proxy server on hardware Cheap firewall an outside address that these clients use for Internet filtering Problem is that our users are changing the IE settings to not use the proxy I am looking for a hardware solution that I can put between the switch that we own and their their router that will do only one thing--block all Internet unless they use our proxy address Other than that I want it to be transparent letting their router continue to provide natting and DHCP Cheap hardware firewall Does anyone have any ideas Thanks nbsp

A:Cheap hardware firewall

give the routers back to the cable co.
install you own router and password protect it
now here is where it may get tricky
you will need some way for the client not access the modem as all the have to do is disconnect from router and connect right to the modem
if there machine is setup that they are not admin it may be possiable to set there nic up with static and they may not be able to access the modem at this point or reconfig the nic card no permissions
on another note I don't understand , if you are renting a router that you don't have control over it,
or do you mean modem and you do have access to the modem default is 192.168.100.1

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cheap-hardware-firewall.47254/
Relevancy 18.06%

my windows firewall is not letting me look at this picture and you will understand

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b225/tyrese007/firewall.jpg

A:Windows Firewall for Windows XP Pro SP2

Firewall

Hello Mohsinb,

I think u don't have any Net connection or Lan card in u r Pc.If u have anything like Modem,Lancard for external connection then it will active,else tr is no need to activate firewall.Otherwise Go to run and type gpedit.msc and press enter.And check u r setting.

Thankx.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-firewall-for-windows-xp-pro-sp2.45573/
Relevancy 24.51%

I recently installed Zonealarm. I can not figure out how to share music files between my computers through Itunes when this is on. The second I turn it off everything is fine. When I go into advanced Itunes shows that it has access to everything with the four green checks. When I looked at the settings for medium it says that other computers can not share resources. Does this mean that no matter what I can not share music files with the firewall up?

A:Firewall

First, I assume you have a router and your system is connected there.
then add a rule near the top of the list
allow i/o 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.255 ports 139,445 tcp+upd​verify your lan address, it may be something else.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/firewall.41332/
Relevancy 24.08%

As much as i hate to say that im a noob, BUT I AM !!!
The thing is : Im due to make and ''game'' server i need to select a random port
Now, is there any limit to ports ? Where can i open ports manualy ? I know i can do it on windows firewall in advanced settings but my firewall does not activate ...well if it sayd i cant start the service in there i went on manual, wnt to controlpanel services and tryed to start it whrom there but an error 10047 replays to me .
So now i have 2 problems firewall, and is there anyother way to open ports with out that firewall, PS: i have ZoneLabs
Replay me on *********@hotmail.com ( its msn and email together, add wich u like )

Edit: Do not put your email address on public webpages! -- Nodsu

A:Opening ports and firewall

zonelabs will not run along side other firewalls happly
your lucky it runs at all.
The Well Known Ports are those from 0 through 1023.

The Registered Ports are those from 1024 through 49151

The Dynamic and/or Private Ports are those from 49152 through 65535
if zonealarm fails you disable it in startup
switch back to xp
if xp firewall does not run you have diff other problems like a trojun and or spyware already on machine
I can't stand ZA they s**ck big time in my book
+++end of rant++++++++++

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/opening-ports-and-firewall.41153/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hey Guyz what would you suggest me to do with P II 200~ 256 ram 11 gig hard win 2k pc can i make it a firewall for my workstation or it would be better to set up an apache server ? p.s im gunna run appache anyway on this old box or on workstation, and if i make it a firewall would it add much security to my D-Link 624 router with firewall and Tiny personal firewall 6.5 pro on my workstation.

A:FIREWALL OR SERVER ON P II 200~ 256 ram 11 gig hard win 2k.

No point in adding another dedicated firewall. Replacing Windows with Linux or BSD will give you a nice webserver that can take on moderate amounts of traffic provided you don't do much active content.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/firewall-or-server-on-p-ii-200-256-ram-11-gig-hard-win-2k.35716/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi im in a wierd situation. All of the sudden my internet or router decided to block me from Limewaire, Steam, Gamespy, and Azureus. It says I have no connection and or I am behind a firewall. Well ive disabled all my antispyware anti adware programs, internal xp firewalls, and I dont have and anti virus programs installed. I also checked my router settings and everything is the way it has been.

Computer: Alienware 51m 7700 XP Home SP2 (With wireless card)
Router: NetGear WGR614v4

I am stumped beyond all belief right now, I dont know whats the problem.

A:Behind an Invisible Firewall

Could your ISP be blocking these?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/behind-an-invisible-firewall.34842/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hey, so a friend of a friend of mine has a computer issue. It's a little hard getting the finer details of the problem but here's what the issue is at hand.

THe person is having problems connecting certain applications to the internet
AOL 9.0, Yahoo Messenger apparentally working
AIM, MSN Messenger, Internet Explorer don't work.

Although it might be a virus or a faulty computer, I personally think this sounds like a firewall issue, especially since the person has cable high-speed internet and a router, as well as possibly a software firewall. Does anyone else think that this sounds like a firewall blocking the ports, or is it something else. And also, if it were a firewall issue, how would you figure out the ports for these applications so you can do port-forwarding?

Help would be awesome.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/does-this-sound-like-a-firewall-problem.30064/
Relevancy 24.08%

Sorry this was suppose to go in the MOBO's forum!!!!

Is there a way to disable the onboard firewall, for the ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe and DFI LANparty SLI DR?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/disable-onboard-firewall.28557/
Relevancy 24.51%

I am fairly new to Netwotking amp I have tried to search within this forum for thee on firewall? LAN all Clients need Do answer to my question but I cant seem to find it I know I should get a router amp plug it into the cable modem but wont let me at this point Do all Clients on LAN need firewall? so I will have to wait a lil while longer So if you can please look past thee obvious amp back to the days of ICS After all it is part of NT I am on a older Etower is with the Anaheim a mobo WinXPpro SP I have succsfully setup a LAN here at my house it consist s of PC s We all share a cable connection thru ICS Internet Connection Sharing Thee other PC s are a Livingroom PC Dell and of course there is the Kid sroom PC Acer Aspire VIII m All PC s have WinXP except the Kidsroom it has se but it came with ICS as well so no big Here is my question I read somewhere that when on a LAN with a host client setup then the only PC that needs a Firewall is the PC facing the Cable modem or Internet Is that true Thanx for any Consideration Direction Xproject nbsp

A:Do all Clients on LAN need firewall?

You need a firewall on each computer. It is always adivable to have a firewall any computer that is not getting its connection filtered by a hardware device.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/do-all-clients-on-lan-need-firewall.27479/
Relevancy 20.21%

I have a small (5) peer to peer network running Win XP Pro. I would like to add an additional wireless router to existing setup.

Exisiting setup is a PC with a Compex DS 2216 router and a Cisco firewall, netiher of which I have the private IP addresses for. The wireless router to be added is a NetGear WGR 614. I am think I may have to set the second router as an access point, but am clueless how to do this.

Am I on the right track?

A:How do I add a second wireless router to existing router or firewall?

Why do you want to add a second router? Adding an access point will save you a lot of trouble.

If you insist on using a router then there was a thread about using two Linksys routers the hard way. You can also connect the routers using the easy way by using the LAN ports only.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-add-a-second-wireless-router-to-existing-router-or-firewall.26164/
Relevancy 40.85%

My regular computer is a kicked internet on sign others of when Dell Dimension It s running XP with Service Pack I have McAffe kicked of internet when others sign on anti-virus that I kicked of internet when others sign on downloaded from AOL I also just acquired a Dell Inspirion M laptop It also has Xp and SP and I also have McAffe on the laptop I have my regular computer hooked to Comcast broadband internet through a Motorola surfboard modem I hook the laptop to the regular computer using a cat cable The problem is that when I am on the laptop and someone else gets on the reg computer and connects to the internet I get kicked off the internet and cannot connect again until the other person gets off I feel like I am doing something wrong on the most basic level duh If there is anyone that can lend some advice that would be cool Ps I just found that it is when someone signs onto AOL that I get kicked off It is fine if they just open IE but sign onto AOL and poof nbsp

A:kicked of internet when others sign on

OMG. I am losing my mind. I've contacted AOL twice and they cannot get it through their minds that connecting to AOL kicks me totally offline on the laptop. They have it stuck in their mind that I am trying to sign into aol on both computers and that is the problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/kicked-of-internet-when-others-sign-on.22730/
Relevancy 24.08%

I just got broadband internet and would like to know something. I have 2 pcs hooked up. Does the firewall in the primary pc which the router in configured thru protect the second pc as well or does that one need its own firewall on. Also is the firewall active when the pc is powered off on both computers? The router came with the norton for a free trial but I already bought a new firewall for the primary pc so I want to know if that is okay to use. Thanks.

A:cable internet and firewall

hmm do you have

Cable Modem <-> Router -> PC#1 and PC#2

or

Cabel Modem <-> PC#1 <-> PC#2

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cable-internet-and-firewall.16289/
Relevancy 24.08%

I recently went to Cox as my cable ISP from using a dial-up most of the summer. I'm currently using a software firewall in the form of Zone Alarm, but would like to add a hardware firewall in addition to ZA.

I'm not looking to hook more than one other computer in the near future, and I don't want to spend massive amounts of money. I'm looking for something in the sub-$50 range that is reliable and does its job well.

A:In need of a cheap hardware firewall

Get a Router with built-in switch
Netgear RP614 at $40.99 (30.99 with mail-in rebate) is a very popular choice
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-122-008&depa=0

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/in-need-of-a-cheap-hardware-firewall.15515/
Relevancy 24.08%

hi i got a di-604 router and i would like to know how to disable the firewall cause i need to disable it when i run certain program like xbox connect(to host a game)

A:d-link di-604 firewall problem

Welcome to TechSpot

Don't know your particular type of router, but normally you go into your browser, in the address-box you type in the router's IP-number such as: 192.168.0.1 and change the parameter in the router-setup.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/d-link-di-604-firewall-problem.15350/
Relevancy 24.51%

I have two computers on a workgroup through dsl and 2 port router. One computer has ZoneAlarm firewall and the other is just using the XP Firewall. When I go to the settings of the XP firewall I can add a IP address...like a trusted IP im guessing...It also asks for the incoming and outgoing ports? How can i find those....I want to be able to talk to each computer without turning the XP firewall off....any help? thanks, cody o

A:XP Firewall

I thought that you really dont need fire wall if you use a router because of the of the nat system on the routers firewall? Did I miss somthing I should know about?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-firewall.11817/
Relevancy 24.08%

ok so i have a old pentium remember those system collecting dust in my basement and i v heard about people using them as router firewall boxes i will probably run linux on it but last time i tried installing mandrake its kept on p166 router/firewall? as crashing so im back on also if i were to use it as a router firewall how do i connect the other computers in my house to it do i add like p166 as router/firewall? pci ethernet card and connect the adsl line into one and the comps in the othe or can i use a hub or switch the specs for the machine i believe socket intel pentium mhz non-MMX dont laugh ATL who are they OEM-i HX mobo mb pin EDO ram dont laugh Quantum Sirroco gb h d same as above Creative Sound Blaster same as above Diamond Media Stealth gfx same as above floppy and Tatung x Cd-ROM i dont want to spend much money on it considering what it is but what OS should i run i know SE has ICS but people say this machine isnt fast enough for it to run or should p166 as router/firewall? i go with an older distro of linux nbsp

A:p166 as router/firewall?

That would make a perfect system to act as a router/firewall.

The best way to do it, is make it multihoned (put 2 NICs in it), then connect it to your DSL/Cable router. Then, plug the other NIC into a hub/switch/router/whatever you have. Then, if using windows you can either use Win2ks/XPs built in ICS, or get a program such as WinGATE, and the rest of the machines can be set to retrieve network info via DHCP - It's fairly simple.

The best way to do it is to just give it a shot, and if you run into issues you can always come here and we'll help you out.

I personally would use Linux, but if using windows, I would suggest you use 2k or XP, whichever you happen to have.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/p166-as-router-firewall.6837/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have a D-Link (DI-604) router and how can I disable the built in firewall that comes with the router? There's nothing that you can simply select to "disable" the router firewall. You have to enter IPs and such.

A:Disabling Router Firewall

Internet is your friend:
http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1329&question=General Routers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/disabling-router-firewall.6979/
Relevancy 23.65%

I have managed to set up my wireless connection now both machines are constantly connected with wireless cards to my Vigor wireless router It appeard to work fine I have not yet managed to share files but that is next on the list My question is in order to allow my kids to use windows messenger I had to turn off the firewall that comes with the router Im sure this is a bad thing but I cannot find simple instructions to let me turn it on I got a link to some info but I could not locate the settings it referred to It cant be too hard any help appreciated Also I used firewall with messenger Enable windows the settings and transfer wisard in xp when I put in a new HD in Enable firewall with windows messenger my kids machine and said yes to all files and settings I was hoping that everything would transfer but no such luck I have had to reinstall most stuff The other HD is still there set to slave where are the settings hidden as Im going to have to do the same to mine if I ever get the replacement Asus board from dabs Do I need to get something like Ghost to do what I am trying nbsp

A:Enable firewall with windows messenger

I think you just need to enable the port that MSN Messenger uses in your router firewall. I'm not exactly sure right now as to which one that is, but when I have more time I will search for it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/enable-firewall-with-windows-messenger.4379/
Relevancy 30.96%

I have Access to A T1 connection and I was wondering if there was a place where I could donwload the CDDB database to be used offline, instead of having to connect all the time to get the song names as the destination computer doesnt have a net connection

Cheers for your help guys

A:Offline CDDB

Question: I have downloaded the CDDB database (e.g. from ftp://ftp.uni-koeln.de/windows/xcontrib/xmcd/xmcd-cddb.tar.gz), unfortunately this database is already relatively old (November '9. Where can I download a more up-to-date version or an update.

Answer: Unfortunately not at all. The operators of the CDDB database have not given out the data since November'97. I have repeatedly suggested to the operators that they install an "Update" function which automatically transmits new CDs to the users. Unfortunately this was rejected. Even worse: in the meantime the CDDB operators have even limited the number of requests per user so that a query using "Brute Force" doesn't work any more either.
If you have any complaints, please contact the CDDB operators directly (http://www.cddb.com)

This link might work for you...

http://www.freedb.org/modules.php?name=Sections&sop=viewarticle&artid=26

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/offline-cddb.2757/
Relevancy 30.1%

I have a Outlook 2010 User, when he sends and recieve email, the status box shows offline address book hangs. However, he can still send and recieve emails. I have tried deleting the OST, recreated outlook profile, and redoing the local profile on windows 7 .

A:Outlook 2010 hangs on offline address

Hi,

If you are working with an OST file (with an Exchange server), then enable the cached exchange mode because somewhere it makes processing of Outlook faster.
If the above suggestion does not work to fix this bug, go and Uncheck the Download offline address book, and then click 'OK' from Define send/receive Groups.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/outlook-2010-hangs-on-offline-address.203615/
Relevancy 26.23%

I am using Thunderbird 3.0.6 and enjoy it allot. The BIG problem is that it ALWAYS starts in Offline mode, even when connected to the internet. I have the settings set to Online mode at start up, but it does not work.

Is there anyway I can get Thunderbird 3.0.6 to start in online mode when online?

This problem is starting to bug me...

Thanks.

Scott

A:Thunderbird startiing in "offline mode"..

1) get an Internet Connection
2) start TB
3) read one msg
4) ask for Get New Messages
5) NOW immediately, QUIT TB

Then try restarting TB and look for the ONLINE Icon

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/thunderbird-startiing-in-offline-mode.151452/
Relevancy 23.22%

Just like the question says,I'm so fed up with zone alarm it's not even funny,unless anybody knows anything I can do to it that won't effect the speed of my already somewhat slow wireless internet connection.Any suggestions I'll look into and will be much appreciated,thanks in advance.

A:Can anybody recommend a free firewall that doesn't slow my internet down to a crawl?

I use Comodo Firewall, I do not experience any slowdowns, and it lets me actually OCD on what my computer does.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-anybody-recommend-a-free-firewall-that-doesnt-slow-my-internet-down-to-a-crawl.156520/
Relevancy 30.53%

i am trying to capture some slot machine games so i can play them on the road during commute time here is the site you have to put periods where they go
www penny-slot-machines com/free-slots html
any suggestion for programs southink does not capture shockwave only flash

A:Capture Shockwave game for offline use?

Try looking in your temporary internet files for files with a .swf extension. It might help to find them if you first clear the files and then go to the website to play a game. I'm not saying it will work for you but I have managed to save some flash videos that way. It was a long time ago, however.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/capture-shockwave-game-for-offline-use.150183/
Relevancy 30.1%

Hi everyone!

I'm currently writing my bachelor thesis in information systems. I'll be researching illegal trade on the dark web, the case study being the Silk Road online drug market on the TOR-network.

Because of the nature of the site, it often goes up and down. I would therefore like to make an offline version of the site, stored on my local hard drive for backup.

I've used software like ScrapBook and HTTRack, but they just won't take .onion-sites!
(I'm using the TOR Bundle for browsing the TOR network and my OS is Windows 7.)

Please help!

A:How to make an offline version of .onion-sites?

Hmm; IMO, you just don't need to replicate a site to do this research and this approach would be unethical.

If you need a few webpages, access them via the browser and perform a SAVE PAGE AS and use TEXT Files option to avoid all the scripts and graphics.

You might get a programmer to do some work with PHP using the cURL feature and that's opening the barn door for you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-make-an-offline-version-of-onion-sites.201195/
Relevancy 23.22%

My year old cousin is a very basic user but I feel she does need some type of reasonably effective firewall She does not know how to deal with windows that pop open and ask free easy to that's for user use Need firewall novice good if something should be allowed In fact most of the things Need good free firewall for novice user that's easy to use that have opened up since I installed Online Armor are things I ve never heard of either So that doesn t make it user friendly at least to me and I d consider myself an intermediate user The only way I have any clue about most of those things is if I recognize the name of an application that I use as part of the name that is being asked about or if it pops up while I m using an application I recently read some posts on this forum regarding firewalls which updated my quot knowledge base quot I had tried Zone Alarm some time ago and found that version whatever was current a couple years ago caused lots of conflicts and was extremely tough to totally uninstall but with help from here finally did get rid of it Lately I d just been using the basic Windows firewall but recently read that it was deficient in a number of areas more risk than I wanted to accept so ventured into trying one of the other recommended ones Tried Online Armor which except for the above noted difficulties seems to be pretty decent once you get thru all the setup stuff and give permission to the apps you use even though there are still quite a number of things asked about that I had little clue about I just don t see how that helps any - in the past I ve blocked things it turned out I needed because I didn t know what they were and no explanations were available at all Then it was difficult to get them unblock because there was no readily apparent way to reverse the blockage and no directions in Help or anything Anyway - even that would be beyond my cousin So are there any worth installing that don t run you around in circles answering all kinds of pop up windows to allow or block Even if they aren t really strong or totally effective something would be better than nothing For her it s got to be something you just click quot install quot and it does the rest Thanks nbsp

A:Need good free firewall for novice user that's easy to use

That's a good question and I too am interested in the answers.

What I typically do is expose the individual's firewall to everything good that must not be blocked (i.e. fill up the exceptions list). Then, I just tell them to hit block on pretty much anything unless you are installing a new program or connecting to a different network for the first time. Also, Adblock Plus for Firefox silently blocks the bad content on most sites before it even reaches the firewall so that has helped to make the whole process more automated.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-good-free-firewall-for-novice-user-thats-easy-to-use.155585/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi, I've been wondering, Do I need to download any software firewall in my PC? If yes, can anyone tell any good and free software firewall downloads? thanks!

A:Software firewall recommendations

My router has a firewall which should protect my PC's so I just run the standard Windows FW (which is pretty basic). If you want something extra, Online Armor is supposed to be good:
http://www.online-armor.com/

Zone Alarm free is another popular one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/software-firewall-recommendations.154143/
Relevancy 23.65%

For those of you here who know all about Torrents,Torrent servers and Torrent clients I have a problem that doesnt make sense. I have opended the port inside the 2Wire modem for Utorrent and I have Iobit securtiy and Ioboit advanced system care working in the background to portect me from Maleware and other Viruses. Utorrent is reporting after SetupScan that the port is not open which means something is blocking the connection Windows Firewall is off so what else could it be. Port forwarding only pokes a hole in the Firewall and there should be anything stopping an inbound connection! Should I stop everything uninstall Utorrent and Iobot Security and Advanced System Care reinstall it but get the older version of Utorrent instead. Can someone please explain to me what else could this be and give me some other suggestions.

A:Utorrent, port fowarding and firewall

Try turnng off your various firewall/antivirus programs one at a time and run the "speed test" option in utorrent.

Hopefully this will make the offending program more apparent.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/utorrent-port-fowarding-and-firewall.155252/
Relevancy 24.51%

I had Broni help me clean this up http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/clean-up-speed-up-infected-xp.198971/ but everytime I boot it up, it tells me the default firewall is turned off yet when I check it in the control panel, it still shows its on. Does it need a 3rd party firewall or no? TIA

"EDIT" The pop up does eventually disappear

A:Best firewall for XP

Turn off notifications and the irritation will stop.

The default XP firewall was very week, and I opted for Comodo (which has been bought out but I cant cite a reference). Also ignore the Comodo Internet Security offer - - just get the standalone firewall.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-firewall-for-xp.199231/
Relevancy 24.51%

I recently installed Windows 8 Pro (Dual boot with Windows 7) on my computer and also Avast Free Antivirus 7. I am looking for best free firewall for Windows 8 Pro. I have been using Comodo Firewall in windows 7 and I love it, but Comodo is not supported in Windows 8.

Thanks in advance.

A:Best firewall for Windows 8

Check the compatibility center for more info: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/win8/CompatCenter/Home?Language=en-US

It'll let you browse through to see what's compatible.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-firewall-for-windows-8.188028/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hello ? a week ago, Comodo Firewall detect "update.vbe"

from "C:\Users\FamilyCom\AppData\Roaming\Origin"

I don't know which program want update from my system, so I blocked.

Anyone know about it ?

A:Comodo firewall detect "update.vbe"

What Operating System are you using? If W7 or 8, you don't need a 3rd party firewall. IMO

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/comodo-firewall-detect-update-vbe.196740/
Relevancy 24.08%

What is exception in firewall? ipsec means what?

A:Windows Firewall exception

Internet Protocol Security (IPsec) is a protocol suite for securing Internet Protocol (IP) communications by authenticating and encrypting each IP packet of a communication session.Click to expand...

On linux platforms, it is literally the name of the firewall itself.

What is exception in firewallClick to expand...

First, the firewall has defaults and they become the baseline. The common defaults are:

allow nothing inbound
allow all outbound
User defined rules become the "exceptions" usually to allow more control, as in DENY all outbound and then ALLOW specific programs to access the web, eg your browser, email and any host servers. This stops many forms of virus' from "calling home"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-firewall-exception.208596/
Relevancy 30.1%

A previous thread mentioned that the offline tool wizard could incorporate new definitions onto the USB boot disk. However, when I created the disk the tool warned me that everything on the disk would be wiped off. How will the updating process avoid that warning?

In addition, I have a WinXp/32 and a Win8/64 computer. Do I need to create a separate USB boot stick for each computer?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/updating-windows-defender-offline-tool.205797/
Relevancy 23.65%

hi, i am new. i have a problem with my firewall/internet sharing, it is always turning off thus cutting me off from the entire network. how do i go about solving this?. please help.

A:Firewall/internet sharing problem

We need more information such as, are you saying the firewall is preventing you from accessing the internet? What firewall are you using?

1. Please give us all your security software you are running/have installed at this moment.

2. You are behind a router, correct?

3. What browser are you using?

4. How long has this issue been going on?

5. Have you scanned for infections?

6. Give us your system specs including OS.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/firewall-internet-sharing-problem.143871/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hmm; I'm guessing that Silverlight is using its own ports and I need to open it/them in the firewall. Which port(s)/protocols does Silverlight use?

Video Error; We were not able to access your video​

A:Silverlight ports for firewall?

jo - not sure if this helps but it might: http://blogs.msdn.com/ncl/archive/2...have-a-restricted-port-range-for-sockets.aspx

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/silverlight-ports-for-firewall.142989/
Relevancy 24.51%

Comodos new firewall...has anyone checked it out?

A:Has anyone used Comodo's new firewall?

Before Win/7, I was a strong advocate of 3rd party firewalls and Comodo was my pick. It gave good control
and you could see what was going on.

Now that I've moved to Win/7 which has a much better default FW, I no longer advocate any 3rd party FB.
The Windows version is sufficient and there's no conflict or maintenance issues to be configured.
{I can't believe I just said that :wink:}

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/has-anyone-used-comodos-new-firewall.188337/
Relevancy 23.65%

hi,
i'm using a bit defender internet security 2009 anti virus software.
when da firewall is enabled i can't access internet.it gives an error saying server not found.
i'm using an ADSL connection and a modem.
so when ever i access internet i disable the firewall and access.
is this ok?
why does this happen?
and what can i do to fix it?

i would be very kind if anyone out there can help me in solving the problem.
best regards

A:Can't access internet when firewall is enabled

Uninstall it fully
Restart
Re-install it

That's the easiest way to default all settings

Also, disabling the 3rd party firewall may not be bad if Windows firewall is on

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-access-internet-when-firewall-is-enabled.139570/
Relevancy 24.51%

Recently I couldn't find how to post the scan logs for my Comodo AV so I got rid of it & in the process, evidently got rid of my Comodo firewall too.
So I'm using the XP Pro windows firewall & received this http://www.majorgeeks.com/XPFiremon_d4914.html
from a friend so I'd like to know what you think about it?
Also, if you have a firewall test I can run on here to check it out, thank you.
I did go back to Avast.

A:XP firewall question, I think

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Try this site to test your firewall. As far as the software program, I have never tried it but, It sounds pretty good. Might give it a try.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-firewall-question-i-think.185611/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi again everybody...

Sorry if this question has been asked a zillion times before, but I've been reading as much as I can here on this stuff, and I'm still a bit confused...

Anyhow, should I continue using Windows Firewall, replace it with another, or run an additional firewall like COMONDO with Windows Firewall?

Also, if I update Malwarebytes to Real Time scanning, should I continue to use Windows Defender?

I don't mind running... and/or purchasing good software, I just don't want to bring the computer to it's knees with all this stuff running.

A:Should I replace Windows Firewall with another?

DCTCJT said:

... should I continue using Windows Firewall, replace it with another, or run an additional firewall like COMONDO with Windows Firewall?Click to expand...

yes;
consider Comodo / Sunbelt Personal Firewall 4. These behave very similarly and have a training mode to LEARN your software. Pretty soon the prompting quites and they become silent until you perform some updates

Also, if I update Malwarebytes to Real Time scanning, should I continue to use Windows Defender?Click to expand...

One or the other but not both. Personally, I disable RTS.

I don't mind running... and/or purchasing good software, I just don't want to bring the computer to it's knees with all this stuff running.Click to expand...

Good for you!
Be sure to get Spywareblaster and update your HOSTS file (google for these)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/should-i-replace-windows-firewall-with-another.138413/
Relevancy 23.65%

I have been using the paid version of Online Armor for some time now firewall free Nuisance software but I m ready to dump it It is such a nuisance I can t do anything without getting the popups asking me if it is ok I click on quot remember this quot but it forgets I will tell it to trust this program but it doesn t do it It is so bad sometimes I have to shut it down to make it stop Nuisance free firewall software My subscription is about to expire and I m ready to replace it with another I realize it has to learn but it has been almost a year now and it is still hasn t calmed down Is there Nuisance free firewall software one out there that will give me the protection I need without being such a nuisance I thought about getting a router with a firewall and then using the Windows XP sp firewall with it Would this be sufficient I do my banking online etc I have my virus and malware software installed and will still be using it Does anyone have any suggestions nbsp

A:Nuisance free firewall software

I have Online Armor firewall and I understand your frustration and my subscription is about to expire as well. Ever since Mike and Tall Emu sold it it hasn't been quite the same.

However, there are some good tweaks you can do to help lessen the frustration levels. So my recommendation is to go to Online Armor's forums and post your issues. Let them know in bullet point the details and why you will most likely drop it.

It is a very helpful community. You should receive answers quickly.

As for XP's firewall just one word: NO. It is very poor. Hopefully you have been using a router all along anyway.

Another free and good firewall is Comodo though you'll need to tweak its configuration for your system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nuisance-free-firewall-software.162814/
Relevancy 24.08%

I've just recieved a new computer, and on setting it up I discover that my firewall of choice (Zonealarm) does not support Vista 64(Home Premium)

Does anyone know a good free firewall that works on 64-bit (im currently using the Windows Firewall)?

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you all!

A:64-Bit Vista Compatible Firewall

Comodo Personal Firewall is one, Agnitum Outpost Firewall 2008 is another. I guess it's up to you to decide whether they're good or not.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/64-bit-vista-compatible-firewall.95210/
Relevancy 24.51%

Iv'e read that Routers have their own Firewalls.So you don't need to install one on your PC. Is this always the case? Or,do some routers not have a firewall?
If your router does have a firewall,is it O.K. to download one on your computer anyway? Or would two of them cause problems?
How do you know if your router does have a firewall ? Thanks for any info CB

A:Firewall(s)

The Differences and Features of Hardware and Software Firewalls

Good protection is a hardware firewall (in the router)) plus installing a software firewall to run on each computer. You don't want to have more then one software firewall running on a computer

/* edit */
Check your router manual to see what firewall functions it provides.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/firewall-s.163471/
Relevancy 23.65%

i really dont understand whats wrong . but here are the symptoms

when i start my windows the real time system protection of eset is non functional and after a while a pop up comes saying that no firewall is turned on and the real time system protection starts as well as the firewall .

so what causes this conflict between eset and firewall ?

A:Eset having problems with Windows Firewall

Windows prefers its own Cr** and the Security Wizard does not recognize all other OEM tools like A/V & Firewalls.

1) disable the Windows Security Center [this stops the repeated popups]
2) if you have a version of Eset with the firewall, then also disable the Windows Firewall [which stops the conflict]

3) run and configure Eset A/V & Firewall and make sure it is always started

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/eset-having-problems-with-windows-firewall.159761/
Relevancy 23.65%

I have used the Zone Alarm Firewall for years but I would like to recommend against it for anyone in the Zone against Firewall Alarm Recomendation market for a firewall who has not yet installed one It works OK I have never had any problems with the Firewall itself However the newer versions include a program called Force Field ISWSVC EXE that according to ZA is a virtualized environment for browsers to prevent malware from harming your system Uh only problem is if you search the web Recomendation against Zone Alarm Firewall you will find numerous forums with complaints that this program can not be shut down manually or in the settings It runs of your processer whether your browsers are open or not whether you are even connected to the internet or not and every registry Recomendation against Zone Alarm Firewall tweak attempted Recomendation against Zone Alarm Firewall fails to prevent the program from starting up It interferes with all sorts of other programs including power saving settings and screensavers never letting them come on and thus putting lots of unnecessary wear on your hardware If you go to the Zone Alarm User Forum company employees pretending to be helpful quot independent users quot mock and disparage any questions about how to shut this program down quot Uuuhm it seems quite a pain to be forced to turn off services when offline quot - in response to a specific question about how to shut it off when NOT online The forum is a fraud and a joke and is nothing more than a front for the company to pretend to address user concerns while really just trying to embarass people for asking questions about problems with their software Yesterday I posted a response to a thread saying that I had uninstalled Force Field in the Add Remove Programs menu under quot Zone Alarm Toolbar quot instead of its actual name to make it more difficult for inexperienced users to find and remove the correct program I listed the commonly reported problems with this program and a question asking what the program was really doing since a browser virtualization program has absolutely no need to be running without the browser or internet I asked whether any solutions had been found in the months since the previous post hoping to find that the issues had been resolved and I could reinstall with a few simple tweaks http forums zonealarm com showthread php p Shockingly not really the thread was locked and my post was deleted for quot oudated thread language users product disparage - sorry against forum rules quot Since I did not use any inappropriate language I think I used the heavily offensive word quot crap quot once oh the horror or disparage any users the post was deleted and any further discussion blocked simply because I had the nerve to point out that the company line on what this program is doing does not meet the logic smell test and asking for a better explanation Since the company is not helpful and is instead rude and belittling to legitimate concerns about what exactly their software is doing on my computer I highly recommend against going anywhere near Zone Alarm and I suggest using a different firewall if at all possible It is a shame because as I said I have never had a problem with ZA before Only now that they are trying to be MS-lite and shoving extra programs with dubious purposes down my throat am I turning away from them They used to be good EDIT Adding screenshot of thread from this morning because now they have removed evidence that they even deleted my post IF you go to the link above now my deleted post spot is gone nbsp

A:Recomendation against Zone Alarm Firewall

Hmm was thinking of going back to Zone Alarm as I used it for years and loved it so what firewall software do you recommend?

Also what antivirus software do you recommend - I have used AVG for years then went to avast couple years ago (I actually use full versions not the free ones lol) I am wondering should I stick with avast or go to a new one as I got 15 days left on my license.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recomendation-against-zone-alarm-firewall.159724/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hmm was thinking of going back to Zone Alarm as I used it for years and loved it HOWEVER after reading the post on quot Recomendation against Zone Alarm Firewall http www techspot com vb topic html quot I am up in the air of which one to use Any advice on firewalls would much appreciated Anti-Virus software What antivirus software is recommended I have used AVG for years then went to avast couple years ago I actually use full versions not the free ones lol I need Firewall advice - Software Anti-Virus & Software am wondering should I stick with avast or go to a new one as I got days left on my license I searched the internet and according to quot Top Reviews http anti-virus-software-review toptenreviews com v quot BitDefender Antivirus Pro is the best anti-virus software OR would it Anti-Virus Software & Firewall Software - need advice be good to go with something like Norten Security I am not a real Norton fan but I want what is Anti-Virus Software & Firewall Software - need advice best for my computer Again any advice would much appreciated David Lambie Skype YES unsure if can put it here nbsp

A:Anti-Virus Software & Firewall Software - need advice

I had Norton pre-installed on my computer when I got it and I honestly dont like it. .. it seemed to cause more problems than it solved for me.

I use Avast! Antivirus and reccomend it to friends/family. It has a free eddition you can download and trial if you're unsure. You can get a free yearly subscription which is easy to renew when needed. I have never had a problem with Avast and think it might be a good starting point.

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/anti-virus-software-firewall-software-need-advice.159740/
Relevancy 23.65%

Have ZoneLabs discontinued Zone Alarm free Personal Firewall? The only free versions I can find on home page are both limited period, trial versions, namely:

ZoneAlarmŪ Extreme Security

ZoneAlarmŪ Internet Security Suite

However, the link dated Feb 25th '09, here provided by Techspot to Zone Alarm free Personal Firewall version still works, but I can't find it on Zone Alarm home page.

Am I missing something?

A:Zone Alarm personal free firewall

uninstall it and DL Sygate free. Does not function with Vista, great with XP. Just google sygate and go from there. Can't run both so uninstall the other first.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/zone-alarm-personal-free-firewall.129543/