Windows Support Forum

How To Reset Boot From Hard Disk

Q: How To Reset Boot From Hard Disk

Sometimes after a power failure, the computer wont reboot from the hard disk. Instead we get a statement which says, and I loosely quote: Boot hardware not found. Insert disc and press F1 or press F2 for setup.

Last night the disc wouldnt let it boot up either. I went to F2 and tried to change the boot from the CDROM to the hard disk, the problem was HARD DISK was not in the window as a selection. Finally after doing some things that now I cant remember, I went back to the same window and low and behold Hard disk is now a part of the selection. The computer then booted from the hard disk, and is now operating fine.

Can someone explain to me what I did to get it working so that when this happens again I have the method of repair at hand. Thanks so much.

Mike

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: How To Reset Boot From Hard Disk

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: How To Reset Boot From Hard Disk

You probably clicked on Automatically detect hard drive in the Bios. You should purchase a UPS device to stop your computer corruption from power failures. In time your hardware will be damaged.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/81082/how-to-reset-boot-from-hard-disk/
Relevancy 67.94%

I've got a problem with my brothers laptop.

It is an old AMS Power CD, with win. 95. When I turn it on, it begins to boot. The screen reads:
BIOS 1.23, CPU = Pentium 100 MHz
640K System RAM Passed
23552K Extended RAM Passed
256K Cache SRAM Passed
System BIOS Shadowed
Video BIOS Shadowed
Mouse Initialized

Then in a red flashing box in the middle of the screen it reads: "Couldn't reset hard disk system Save to Disk feature is disabled"

Then, "Operating system not found" below

I would much appreciate any help or assistance I can find.

A:Couldn't reset hard disk system, save to disk feature is disabled

I'd bet the harddrive has a loose connection or completely failed. If you don't know how to take it apart and check it take it to an expert.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/couldnt-reset-hard-disk-system-save-to-disk-feature-is-disabled.47192/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hey Guys Looking for your advice and any links if any cheers in advance My Situation In December I purchased a Toshiba Qosmio X - Model No PQX A- X J At the time I upgraded my purchase from Toshiba Reseller BD U going from the standard x GB Sata drive x GB SSD to instead having x GB sata drives I purchased with year onsite next business day warranty that is is now expired It came loaded with MS Win Premium Home Edition Recovery X500/00X Drive or Separate Reset) Hard Disk Qosmio Disk From (Factory System - but no disks Qosmio X500/00X System Recovery (Factory Reset) From Hard Disk Drive or Separate Disk provided My Needs I need want to factory reset my PC - Qosmio X500/00X System Recovery (Factory Reset) From Hard Disk Drive or Separate Disk its starting to run slowI need to re-partition from my existing x partitions to just having The Issues Possibly as a result of upgrading the disk drives at time of purchase I don't believe I have a hidden Recovery partition in order to do a System Recovery from the Hard Disk Drive - see image of my current partitions attached I don't have Win OS installation disks or Toshiba Driver disks as they should have been installed by Toshiba My Questions Do You agree that I DONT have a Recovery Partition - when looking at the partition image I'm confused on this point coz people say its hidden Given I have no Toshiba Drivers Disk or Windows OS disks - what should I do I'm thinking of downloading Win use my product key from sticker under PC and making a disk USB but need to learn how Is this where I get ALL necessary Toshiba drivers for my PC from Does Toshiba provide a link on its site and instructions on where to get Win from so I can make a recover disk Notes Tried to email Toshiba support but at step of their email process validation failed due to my PC being out of warranty so will call them on Monday instead THANK YOU THANK YOU for any help you can give big ro small Cheers Rick

A:Qosmio X500/00X System Recovery (Factory Reset) From Hard Disk Drive or Separate Disk

Sorry the model is Qosmio X500/00X

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?82759-Qosmio-X500-00X-System-Recovery-(Factory-Reset)-From-Hard-Disk-Drive-or-Separate-Disk
Relevancy 65.79%

My company s computer needs to be patitioned partition Hard-disk hard-disk do failure disk. Can't boot nor format when using and reformat The system is still working well Can't format hard-disk nor do partition when using boot disk. Hard-disk failure I mean nothing wrong with anything weird huh Ok the hard disk just need to be split I mean make drive C amp D on the hard disk I know how to do that easy Then the HD need to Can't format hard-disk nor do partition when using boot disk. Hard-disk failure be formatted amp reinstall windows XP Ok easy too But the main problem occured before I do anything partition amp format I have my own bootable CD that I usually use for partitioning amp formatting Ok i insert the CD amp restart I went to BIOS amp changed the boot order st boot CD-ROM nd HDD- amp rd Floppy Then restart again Ok the bootable CD is excellently loaded I typed fdisk then came the first problem it says something like no fixed disk I exit fdisk Then I typed format c nd problem occured it says something like invalid drive I forgot the error message because the pc is in my office right now I m currently at home begging for help So the error message is not accurate sorry I think if I run the CD the hard disk will not be loaded or should I say hard disk failure amp If I take off the CD amp restart again change the BIOS st boot HDD- then windows will load Weird right I don t think my CD is corrupted nor broken because I tried to run the CD from another PC Yes I can access the C drive from that PC Does anyone have any idea of the possibilities here Hard disk failure when running a win bootable CD bad BIOS setting File System Thanks nbsp

A:Can't format hard-disk nor do partition when using boot disk. Hard-disk failure

It sounds like it might be the bootable CD you've created is not picking up the HDD's/partitions.
To eliminate this as a posibility travel to bootdisk and grab the WinME bootdisk and boot from there. If it picks up the HDD you can FDISK and Format from there.
The other option is to boot using the XP CD and let it handle the formatting/partitioning duties...

patio.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-format-hard-disk-nor-do-partition-when-using-boot-disk-hard-disk-failure.25613/
Relevancy 63.21%

Windows XP sp2 wont boot from hard disk.

After much to do turns out my computer doesnt recognise the hard disk.

I have a seagate 500Gb SATA hard drive, its about a year old, the computer doesnt get hot in the slightest and it shouldnt be dead. I checked the wiring, as far as i can see, its all fine.

only conclusion i come to is that my hard disk is kaput which it shouldnt be. Can anyone give me any other possible solutions to try out before i cry and/or spend money on a new one? theres a lot of data on it i dont want to lose.

If not, ill plug it in to another computer to check, i havent done that yet because it will take me hours - i can only unscrew the hard drive from one side without rearranging the room.

ty!

A:Hard disk boot failure -> computer won't recognise hard disk

Is your Seagate the 7200.11 series?

We've been seeing a lot of harddrive issues layely that has nothing to do with the drive itself but bad SATA cables aas the cause. Do you have another one you can switch out?

When you say the computer doesn't recognize it we're talking the BIOS here, correct?

Another suggestion is what you have already suggested but I would "slave" it in antother system and see if you can access it that way.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-disk-boot-failure-computer-wont-recognise-hard-disk.150755/
Relevancy 62.35%

The thing is that a guy came to me forgotting his BIOS Password and Hard disk Password on his Toshiba!! I managed to remove the hard disk and installing it on my computer unfortunately it didn't read it since a password is locking the hard disk any ideas?? Thank you!

A:How to reset a Laptop Hard disk password

SORRY, you'll have to read the tech guy forum rules on this one. No one here can supply Information on unlocking passwords etc. We cannot verify your reasons for doing so!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-reset-a-laptop-hard-disk-password.773789/
Relevancy 61.06%

I have a Toshiba Satellite C D-S not that old at all I tried Problem after Windows a Hard reset? Detected factory Disk downloading a game Windows Detected a Hard Disk Problem after factory reset? and then got the BSOD I had to reset my PC lost everything I had but ended up starting from scratch Now every so Windows Detected a Hard Disk Problem after factory reset? often I'm getting a message saying Windows detected a hard disk problem Back up your files immediately to prevent information loss I right clicked on the faulty hard drive for error checking no errors were found I tried HD Tune Pro and that's telling me warning for health status Reallocated Sector Count failed is in red and C Reallocated Event Count warning is in yellow Does this mean I have to replace the hard drive The computer was working totally fine until that BSOD Now it works and all but I keep getting that error message The laptop is not that old really and never any physical damage but perhaps past warranty I dont really have anything left to back up since I Windows Detected a Hard Disk Problem after factory reset? lost everything when I reset it to factory state Any advice

A:Windows Detected a Hard Disk Problem after factory reset?

I'm afraid it doesn't sound good for that hard drive.  You could run Speccy which you can download from here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/ and look at the SMART data for your drive.    After running it click File -> Publish snapshot... Copy and paste the link it gives you into your next post.  

For more information about the drive, you could download hard drive diagnostics form the Seagate or Western Digital web site and run them.  I've used Seatools from Seagate a good bit.

If you have to replace that drive, you'll probably lose the recovery partition, so be prepared for that.  Your user guide should have info on how to create the recovery discs if you haven't already done that.

Good luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/540251/windows-detected-a-hard-disk-problem-after-factory-reset/
Relevancy 60.2%

After spending after boot reset. only hard will PC many hours perusing various threads on numerous sites I find myself no PC will only boot after hard reset. further on troubleshooting the following boot problem The PC will not boot from cold but will work perfectly after a hard reset Apologies in advance for this massive post but it will prevent exploring places I have explored already I built the following system for my son for Christmas ABIT NF V mb AMD PC will only boot after hard reset. Sempron Boxed with fan single stick mb Kingston DDR Memory ATI Radeon mb video card Sony DVD drive Single Western Digital WD JD rpm SATA gb HDD Zoom G-Wireless USB mbs card TV XP global TV tuner card PCI LG S TFT monitor W PSU with V on the V rail Windows XP home On first assembly everything booted up and worked fine The following day on a cold boot the system hung before during POST No single normal beep and fans were turning and both HDD and DVD drive lights came on The reset button did not have any effect A couple of hard power-offs did the trick - system booted into windows fine Again the following day on a cold start the system hung but I had a couple of different POST codes at different times Two tone siren short beeps repeating longer beep about sec long but did not self shut down just continued with the beeping until I switched the power off reset had no effect On investigating various web sites threads I decided on replacing the PSU two tone beeps out of limit voltage detection and on looking on ABIT TEQ the V rail was a bit unstable about - I also increased AGP and Vcore voltages by small amounts as recommended on the Abit Forum threads but no improvement I replaced the PSU with a Jeantech W unit Bet you can guess though New PSU did not help I have since done three clean installs of windows and formatted the HDD to try to eliminate virus driver snags Incidentally on the windows install the soft reboots initiated by windows setup resulted in single repeated beeps and system hangs Hard power off and reboot again enabled a normal boot back into windows Other threads suggest that the single repeating beep is not a terminal main board problem and I suspected the CMOS battery not enough juice to store the configuration hence the hanging on cold boot but changing it has not helped either I have also swapped RAM and graphics card ATI radeon XT from my other PC to eliminate those components as suspect Also tried running the RAM as rather than - Symptoms remained each time I then noticed that the DVD rom was not always recognised in the BIOS and so suspected an IDE channel failure After discussion with tech support people at ABIT I then RMAed the motherboard and replaced it for an ASUS K V X SE Since fitting the ASUS board the only remaining problem is that the PC will still not boot first time from cold You have to do a hard reset and then it boots fine and runs very well into windows I have now been investigating threads about the WD JD hard drive and its compatibility with the VT R chipset I have jumpered the HDD to lock at mb s Have also swapped in a different DVD drive but no change I am left with thinking that this is a BIOS setting issue or a SATA IDE conflict or BOOT issue I have tried play with boot order and the RAID screen but there appears to be nothing to change there I have also flashed the BIOS to from the ASUS web site I have checked for motherboard shorts seems clear I am also thinking of getting an EIDE HDD just to see if this is the problem but can t see why SATA shouldn t run with IDE on the same board So far I have Changed PSU twice Changed the mainboard Swapped in RAM Swapped in Graphics Card Changed GPU fan supply source Changed CMOS battery Changed voltages in the bios at the advice of the tech support man in UK Run various software based hardware checks eg PC Check and memtest which have all passed Sorry bout the war and peace but having read many threads it seems to pay to be thorough I really am starting struggle... Read more

A:PC will only boot after hard reset.

Wow, sounds like you've essentially swapped in a brand new computer.

You didn't put jumpers on the hard drive, did you? I've heard of that messing up SATA drives. Poke around the BIOS and mess with the drive settings, including raid configs that might not exist. it definately sounds like a BIOS problem related to your hard drive.

That does seem like a royal pain though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-will-only-boot-after-hard-reset.68670/
Relevancy 59.34%

My mother has Computer sometimes hard boot reset without won't an HP that runs Windows Vista Premium Home Its about - yrs old Two weeks ago the power went off for a few minutes when it was on Computer won't boot sometimes without hard reset or in sleep mode When she tried to turn it back on she could see the quot cd light quot blink once or twice the fans came on but no power I found the directions to unplug all the cords and hold the power button down to reset it Well it worked I then ran Malwarebytes and it did find one or two things but they were removed Today she called me to tell me the same thing happened But the power never went out She had it on and it must have gone into a sleep mode and Computer won't boot sometimes without hard reset nothing worked to bring it out She had to reset it again Does anyone know what would be causing this to happen I m wondering if its something I could easily fix myself or if we need to bring it to someone to be repaired

A:Computer won't boot sometimes without hard reset

Hello kat91119,Some people have been able to awaken the monitor when the computer is in "sleep" mode by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL (not holding them) and then clicking cancel. You could try going through this troubleshooting guide: How to Troubleshoot a Vista or Windows 7 Sleep Mode Problem.You will note that they recommend updating the display drivers and the system bios, first. I wouldn't worry about the bios at this point but would check the computer manufacturer's web site to see if they have an "updated" display driver. How to determine the dispaly adapter name and version then go to manufacturer's website:First, click "Start" (the globe) and right mouse click on "Computer" and click "Properties."Select "Device Manager" then click on the (+) next to "Display Adapters." Write down the make and model number.Next, right mouse click on the Display Adapter and click "Properties," "Driver" tab, and write down driver date and driver version.Now you can go the computer manufacturer's web site (i.e. Dell, HP, Acer, etc.), look for "Download Drivers and Software" (may have to click on Support, first). Enter either "Tag number" or exact "make and model number." Select the computer operating system (Vista 32 or Vista 64).Look for your exact display adapter, note date and driver version. If newer, download and install.Finally, proceed with the troubleshooting guide.I hope it helps.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/433786/computer-wont-boot-sometimes-without-hard-reset/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi,
my hp dv6443 laptop harddrive was erased by killdisk to get rid of scripts or whatever was causing the sluggish performance. The windows version was Vista home. When trying to reboot from the original disk recovery cd to get the maching working again, the err2err3 displayed at start up. I have read about creating a bootable cd with partition recovery, but have been unable to figure out how to create one. I can drop the free partition builder programs onto a cd, but I don't know how to make it "bootable". But I may be going down the wrong path. Any ideas? Is this problem fixable, or should I just throw the computer away. Thanks!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/err2err3-after-wiping-hard-drive-with-kill-disk-and-wont-boot-from-recovery-disk.979549/
Relevancy 59.34%

when starting my computer, and no boot disk is inserted, i get the error message:"HARD DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK PRESS ENTER" when a boot disk is inserted, windows xp starts up if no button is pressed after a boot disk is inserted. I cant work out how to boot from hard disk immediately, and it is set as primary boot device. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!!

A:Hard Disk Boot Failure Insert System Disk Press Enter

Just go into the Bios and (For my motherbaord) in Advanced BIOS Features, set primary, seconday etc boot devices as you like.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-disk-boot-failure-insert-system-disk-press-enter.40225/
Relevancy 59.34%

hi sir im vijay im usin tb segate new hard disk sir in my system i cant able to boot my os and also my hard disk its showin that hard disk boot failure insert system disk press enter i restarted many times its sayin the same problem in my gigabite mobo bios my hard disk is not get detected sir the problem is that wen im installin the new os for nd time its all went nice only sir but at the completion of the os it wil ask for system enter disk press failure boot insert hard disk the user name and password but in my system its frozen sir fully of black screen and i cant able to do anythin so i restarted my system from that im gettin this error as hard disk boot failure insert system disk press enter that my new hard disk and all of my data is in that hard disk only this problem arises wen im installing the os for nd time sir till now its showin the same error sir plz help me im so confused

A:hard disk boot failure insert system disk press enter

Repair MBR:

Boot From the Windows Install Disc
The first thing you?ll need to do is boot off the install disc, and then click through until you see the ?Repair your computer? link in the lower left-hand corner.
You?ll need to choose the correct installation of Windows and then click the Next button.
And then you?ll get to the System Recovery Options screen, where you can get to the Command Prompt.

Repairing the Master Boot Record:

If you want to restore the master boot record, you can simply type in the following command:

bootrec /fixmbr

You can also write a new boot sector onto the system partition with this command (which is often more useful):

bootrec /fixboot

And of course, if you just use bootrec /? you?ll be able to see all the options.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/221838-hard-disk-boot-failure-insert-system-disk-press-enter.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi i have a Gb western digital hard drive with C and D drives i partitioned Press Insert System And Enter Disk Disk Hard Boot Failure them the D drive has all my gaming applications on it and the C drive has all the files for windows and other crap like firefox etc I was once reformatting to XP from Vista and in the middle of reformat my computer shut down causing a major problem the answer was my graphics card died Hard Disk Boot Failure Insert System Disk And Press Enter now i have an EVGA Mb GT with DX I brought the drive Hard Disk Boot Failure Insert System Disk And Press Enter to my neighbors house and he can use it just fine it boots and everything but the problem is that when i bring it to my house and i insert the drive it goes to the Nvidia Boot Agent and after a while displays HARD DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER My current BIOS Boot order is Floppy CD and then Hard Disk Hard Disk Boot Failure Insert System Disk And Press Enter I don t know why it wont boot but the copy of XP has been verified and it works great on my friends computer why won t it start on mine Please help me nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-disk-boot-failure-insert-system-disk-and-press-enter.637598/
Relevancy 58.91%

I formatted my hard drive today and after a reboot I got the message quot Hard Disk Boot Failure Insert System Disk And Press Enter quot If I insert my Vista disk hit f at startup and go to boot screen click on boot from CD then bypass the boot from CD option it will start Vista I have checked my boot sequence and it shows booting from the right drive My hard drives are SATA Im stumped fellas Asus M N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard Two Hard drives but the second just for Disk Hard Disk Insert Boot Failure System backup not in RAID This is what my system information tool says Hard Disk Boot Failure Insert System Disk on the hard drives Type Vendor Model Size Interface Temperature Direct Access Device HDS VLSA SCSI Disk Device GBytes IDE RAID Direct Access Device Western Digital WDC WD AAJS- PSA SCSI Disk Device GBytes IDE RAID Direct Access Device SanDisk SanDisk U Cruzer Micro USB Device MBytes USB USB DVD TSSTcorp SanDisk U Cruzer Micro USB Device USBSTOR RAID DVD SanDisk TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S N SCSI CdRom Device SCSI USB

A:Hard Disk Boot Failure Insert System Disk

UPDATE:

Changed my partition to active and re-booted, gave me this: "BOOTMGR missing"

Tried to repair with CD and the operating system was showing up on D:, dont know if this is usual but thought it show show C:

Went to Cromt in repair option and tried to rebuild bootmgr with this command:
"bootrec/rebuildbcd" restarted computer............BOOTMGR missing

Was then able to boot from second hard drive (D from boot screen.......finally gave up and formatted again......works fine now.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/256946-hard-disk-boot-failure-insert-system-disk.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Yesterday my laptop suddenly stopped responding. I followed the tutorial and removed the battery and tried booting up the laptop using the charger. It doesn't work. I can see the charger port going from white to orange and then blank in quick succession. Then I tried keeping the battery and the charger plugged in for a long time without turning on the laptop. The charger remains orange for more than an hour before turning white.   I tried running the laptop after couple of hours and it boots up fine. But on the other hand, charger starts to act up again cycling through nothing, orange and white. So when the battery charge falls below 15%, it goes through low battery and then showing a bit of charge then again warning.  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Laptop-doesn-t-boot-up-even-with-hard-reset/td-p/5701676
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi there I was wandering if anyone could help me out I am running XP pro and although i recently updated with SP the PC appeared to be ok Now when i try to boot up i get DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER If i put my operating disk in it loads the various files and proceeds to windows setup if i chose to set up windows XP now ie re -install the whole system it goes to the licence agreement then to the windows xp professional setup offering options either to set up windows on the selected item or create a partition or delete the partition Most imporantly in the box below it states mb disk o at Id on bus on atapi and underneath lt setup cannot access this disk gt which is the Disk disk boot hard missing failure and worrying In the bios it appears to be able to detect the fact that there is a hard disk drive available If i do press enter at this stage a darker blue screen appears stating that a problem has been detected and that windown has shut down to prevent damage It then goes on to suggest things that are not possible ie boot into safe mode ofr update or Disk boot failure and the missing hard disk disable drivers it gives the following technical information which for me as a beginner is as much use as a wooden eye It say STOP XOOOOOOO e OXCOOOOOO Disk boot failure and the missing hard disk OXF C CFD OXF A X Setupdd sys- adrress F C FD base at f d datestamp d dd f whatever that means If there is anyone who can help i would appreciate it I assume the hard drive is ok and the connections are too nbsp

A:Disk boot failure and the missing hard disk

Moved to Windows. This is not a business applications issue. Good luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disk-boot-failure-and-the-missing-hard-disk.284950/
Relevancy 58.48%

I bought a f series Compaq laptop ok It's originally with VISTA but the previous owner installed Windows Ultimate in it Runs ok and everything but I want my lappy to be in its original state my Hard USB, DISK, Unable boot but [email protected]#% from ANYTHING to laptop OK here's the problem I spent HOURS and hours trying to solve without success I can't Unable to boot my laptop from DISK, USB, ANYTHING but Hard [email protected]#% boot my Laptop from USB CD-ROM USB FLASH DRIVE nor External disk drive I checked BIOS I set the boot order like I'm supposed to DISK gt USB gt HDD Nothing happens I hit f for BIOS setup or ESC for Boot order and I only see Hard Drive as boot option No CD USB I tried to quot repair computer quot F and I get no repair option only restore option with restore points I have use Partition manager to check partitions I am unable to install RECOVERY Unable to boot my laptop from DISK, USB, ANYTHING but Hard [email protected]#% MANAGER I get missing quot HardDisk dll quot or when I install hdd dll I get error code that Recovery Manager is unable to run I have recovery Disks for both VISTA X and WIN X and both are no use since I can't access those I tried to upgrade my BIOS F gt gt gt Running the BIOS upgrade software I got from HP official site I get to the point where the Software tells me it is creating a FLASH BIOS and I get immediately the blue screen with quot memory dump quot message This happens every time I try to upgrade I'm not too knowledgeable in computers but I can troubleshoot easily with good instructions I've tried everything and I come across with a problem after a problem It's so frustrating I even tried the original WIN and VISTA installation disks as a last option No I can't boot from the disk What is going on k

A:Unable to boot my laptop from DISK, USB, ANYTHING but Hard [email protected]#%

There has to be a setting in the BIOS that is stopping you from booting from the USB or CD/DVD drive. That is IF those to thing actually work.

Have you checked to see if the USB and CD/DVD drive work?

As to the memory dump when trying to update the BIOS. You are doing this from inside Windows? I would suspect that because of the memory dump error.

99% of the time the computer/OS BSODs from memory errors. Memory errors come from bad memory.
If the notebook has 2 sticks of memory remove one of them then try the BIOS update. If it still BSODs put that stick back in and remove the other.
If it still BSODs then try it from a Safe Mode boot or from a Command line boot.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/157165-unable-boot-my-laptop-disk-usb-anything-but-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Please help I have a problem with my Compaq PC will explain from beginning At first when i boot the PC it used to come one message like quot splash screen error run rompaq quot and below that black screen F to boot when i press F it used to boot windows and i can work comfortably now the problem before last two days when i tried to start my PC it won t boot instead it shows the same message press F to boot i suspect Disk Can Xp Not Disk And Hard Boot From Both Windows Up Start by mistake i deleted some system file but it was a normal shutdown i made last time after that i made one start up disk from another computer and tried to boot from it but i can t while booting from floppy it begins the booting but windows Windows Xp Can Not Boot Both From Hard Disk And Start Up Disk not coming it shows like Starting A gt mode can code page prepare ega cpi failure to access code page font file A gt mode con code page select code page not prepared A gt keyb us keyboard Windows Xp Can Not Boot Both From Hard Disk And Start Up Disk sys code page specified has not been prepared A gt I can enter to C or D etc also can use dir like commands please help me to solve this problem nbsp

A:Windows Xp Can Not Boot Both From Hard Disk And Start Up Disk

You have some serious troubles, and need to do some intensive reading on how Windows works, and what happens when a hard drive is corrupted or damaged or mis-installed..
It would be helpful for you to tell us computer, install discs, installed hardware, connection, hardware configuration you have, as well as the age of everything, and the recent history of failures and difficulties..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-can-not-boot-both-from-hard-disk-and-start-up-disk.108273/
Relevancy 57.19%

System locks up needs time before it can be restarted I have a newly built computer that locks up usually to min after booting usually I am browsing the internet then pages to Freezes, reset, until hard can have Windows 10 I 7 back then wait min Solved: boot won t load then my browser freezes and I can t Ctrl apt Del Then everything freezes and I have to hard reset but the computer won t boot up unless I Solved: Windows 7 Freezes, have to hard reset, then wait 10 min until I can boot back let it rest for min Everything in the computer is brand new I have it running the bare minimum stick of memory The hard drive I noticed in the bios that the v and v are low The v is running around The v is around I ve spent days trying different things any help would be greatly appreciated I have tested the CPU and even re installed it I have tested the memory it seems fine I have checked the wires I have reset the bios Its a new ultra watt PSU a new asus m a l-m lx plus mb An amd HD phenom ll x processor a wd blue gb hard drive hyperx red gb ddr memory modules a radeon hd GPU Running win nbsp

A:Solved: Windows 7 Freezes, have to hard reset, then wait 10 min until I can boot back

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-7-freezes-have-to-hard-reset-then-wait-10-min-until-i-can-boot-back.1122176/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi I really need some help here My system has two drives SSD C drive where my win OS boots from call this normal win HDD D drive where I keep my data No issues hard boot manager disk. with virtual Boot windows I created a D virtual win vhd file and installed win on it for testing purposes following these instructions Virtual Hard Drive VHD File - Create and Boot issues with virtual hard disk. No windows boot manager Start with at Boot When I boot I get no boot menu asking me to choose either between normal win or virtual win install By default it boots into virtual win To boot into normal win I need to press F at reboot to enter into Boot Boot issues with virtual hard disk. No windows boot manager Menu and select it I thought I would be presented with a boot menu at reboot each Boot issues with virtual hard disk. No windows boot manager time Those instructions I followed in the link told me the boot manager would be present So I got a feeling something went wrong somewhere These are some things I observed I installed EasyBCD within normal win and it only has one entry listed in the bootloader HTML Code Entry Name Windows BCD ID current Drive C Bootloader Path Windows system winload exe Within System gt Advanced System Settings gt Advanced gt Startup and Recovery there is also only one entry In Disk Management within normal win the vhd does not appear Questions What do I need to do to get the boot menu manager going when I reboot my system to allow OS selection Why doesn't the vhd appear in Disk Management within normal win Is it because it is being dynamically mounted each time it is booted into I thought the vhd would display persistently within Disk Management There is another thing I noticed When i boot into virtual win my D drive is renamed as E drive This now appears as a system drive which I think is because my vhd is being mounted from it I tried to change the drive letter of E back to D but it won't allow me to do this for obvious reasons as it is now a system drive I really need to get it to be drive D again reasons are because I need to run lots of code on D which has lots of absolute paths set and other reasons I thought I could solve this by copying my vhd to my SSD using normal win Then boot into virtual win and rename the drive E back to D But I don't want to break anything How do I do this Any help very much appreciated V

A:Boot issues with virtual hard disk. No windows boot manager

I guess everyone is using win8 these days, or my question is at the cutting edge of technology that no one knows the answer

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/319996-boot-issues-virtual-hard-disk-no-windows-boot-manager.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi I have just recently gotten a new computer which came with Vista Previously what I have done with any boot hard boot Solved: Disc no sector Windows on XP - disk.. won't new operating system I got was installed it into my old computer However I came to find out you Solved: Windows XP Disc won't boot - no boot sector on hard disk.. can only have one computer assigned to each cd unless I wanna buy another one which is unecessary I wanted to get rid of Vista and return to XP but the XP disc would not install because of multiple errors such as missing ntldr So I decided to use deriks boot and nuke to clear the hard drive and that went smoothly Now here is my problem When I insert the XP cd it spins for a while and eventually comes to an error screen with quot no boot sector on hard disk quot quot CARDBUS NIC boot failed quot seconds or so later Solved: Windows XP Disc won't boot - no boot sector on hard disk.. I also get this message quot No bootable devices quot Also when I just start the computer normally it does go to a screen that says no operating system found which makes sense The weird thing is that the Windows Vista CD still starts up and goes to the installation area when I boot from CD drive So I know my CD drive is working properly I have tried the XP CD in another computer and it works fine The computer with the problems is a Dell Inspiron Sorry if this has been answered somewhere but I grew tired of reading through threads only to come to a very general solution of booting from the XP disc which wont work Since I used deriks boot and nuke I have not formatted and repartitioned the drive I don t know if that is the problem or not Any help would be appreciated Thanks Nate nbsp

A:Solved: Windows XP Disc won't boot - no boot sector on hard disk..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-disc-wont-boot-no-boot-sector-on-hard-disk.792062/
Relevancy 56.76%

I yesterdy tonight fitted an HP e-pc C10 with a new hard disk, and the disk
has been partitioned, formatted and set as primary. Using the HP
Recovery CD which came with the machine, I installed Windows 2000 on to
the new disk.
The install went without hitches until the very first full boot. Admin
sign-on is completed, then Win 2k spontaneously shuts down and
re-starts. On the re-start we get an error message: Boot failure, disk
not recognised. Press any key to restart the OS.
On pressing the key the boot once again fails. This is very hard to
understand, as the machine successfully booted in to the install
programme twice. Furthermore, the bios detects the hard disk as a
Primary IDE correctly. Yet, at the crucial moment of finalising the OS
boot the system fails.
Anyone any thoughts?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-e-pc-c10-boot-problem-hard-disk-apparently-not-detected-during-boot.409103/
Relevancy 56.76%

My computer will not boot. Boot device not found Hard Drive (3F0) I have a G7-3ried reset4OUS WINDOWS 7 64 bit. I have tried to reset BIOs  HELP

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/My-computer-will-not-boot-Boot-Device-not-found-Hard-disk/td-p/5671164
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a HP DV6600 with a fresh HP factory install of Vista SP1. Newest Bios update, and virus free. When I boot up i see the HP screen with boot options down across the bottom(F2, F9, F10 etc) then it goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor in upper left corner. The hard drive lcd does not blink at all. If I reboot and press F9 to select boot options that menu comes up. The only option there is Internal Hard disk or Enter Setup. If I select Internal Hard disk it will boot every time and run great from there on out, untill I go to restart it again. Any suggestions?
Bob

A:I can only boot with select boot device- hard disk

Sounds like your hard drive...is not your first boot device...it should be.

http://www.pctechbytes.com/hp/hp-black-screen-with-blinking-cursor

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/409841/i-can-only-boot-with-select-boot-device-hard-disk/
Relevancy 55.9%

I'm making a image for installation of windows 10.
I make a USB flash drive with WINPE. and once the device starts into WINPE, it will automatically start to install windows 10 by calling "dism /apply-image".
Normally i just shutdown the computer after installation, but now i want to reboot the device and boot into the windows i just installed. But i can't, because if i reboot the device, it will boot into WINPE again and start another turn of installation of windows.
How could i temporary boot into my windows 10?

A:How to temporary boot into hard disk if my first boot option is USB?

Seems like you are doing it backwards. Set the hard drive as the primary boot device and temporarily boot the USB flash drive the first time. Then on restarting the first time during the Windows 10 install it will boot to the hard drive and ignore the USB flash drive.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/33982-how-temporary-boot-into-hard-disk-if-my-first-boot-option-usb.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Help!!! My ex roommate reset a password to my computer and now I can't get onto it I need to reset my password I don't care if I lose my data

A:reset paswrd toshiba windows 7 home without reset disk

Which password ?  Windows log in password or BIOS password ?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/492997/reset-paswrd-toshiba-windows-7-home-without-reset-disk/
Relevancy 55.47%

Ok first off I want to say I've searched and searched and searched to no avail in trying to find a solution to this I've come failure not "disk Hard boot found Drive enter" and system insert press disk to the conclusion it's software and Hard Drive not found "disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter" not hardware based Let Hard Drive not found "disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter" me start from the top I've had an older computer HP Pavilion a x out Hard Drive not found "disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter" of commission for a while due to a 'sploded psu I finally get around to ordering one install it and everything is good I bring it back to my office and hook it up to the internet and as expected there's updates So I up date it and after the updates are installed the computer restarts automatically weird yes and as it's coming back on it detects errors and runs CHKDSK So I let it run and it gets to part of At this point in time my partner is really needing to print sometime and all computers print through this computer So after about minutes CHKDSK is still on part at only So I'm like quot screw it quot and manually shut down and restart It's at this point I get a quot primary master hard disk failure quot at the boot screen Letting start up continue I get a quot Stop c unknown hard error systemroot system ntdll dll quot At this point I realize something is delectably wrong Found this thread which didn't help much At some point the c error stops and I start getting quot disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter quot and I found this thread which didn't help much either I have also been searching other sites as well Here's what I found out that's important HDD shows up in BIOS HDD shows up at the boot screen Recovery console does not find the HDD Repair does not work becuase HDD is not detected HDD does not show up in other computers shows failure at boot screen Removed CMOS battery and replaced didn't help FDISK did not detect the HDD Drive is currently in the freezer Changed jumper to Cable Select no help Tried unsuccessfully to create a boot disk This drive is only gb I'm trying to retrieve files that are valuable to me If I can get these and the drive dies I'd be happen gb drives are laughable these days Any help would be GREATLY appreciated This is the first problem I haven't been able to solve with information that's already been posted Thanks in advance Get error quot Windows XP could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem Could not read from selected boot disk Check boot path and disk hardware Please check the Windows XP TM documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information Boot Failed quot

A:Hard Drive not found "disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter"

Anything would be super helpful, even if it's bad news. I just need to know if I can get this remedied or not.

Another thing I noticed is that the HDD activity light on the front of the computer does not blink or show any activity.

Thanks!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-not-found-disk-boot-failure-insert-system-disk-and-press-enter-469255.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Afternoon Having recently today inherited my company s IT support role Without any real training qualifications I m coming across a number of small issues one of which is the following All machines at my company Pass. Admin Disk How to reset Password without Reset an are independently managed How to reset an Admin Password without Pass. Reset Disk by their own local Administrator account across the board the Username and Pass to access the Admin account is the same except for a single machine It seems this machine has a differing password to the other machines unfortunately the previous administrator is no longer contactable I however require access to the administrator account To the best of my knowledge he didn t set-up a Password Reset Disk either I ve read about various rd party tools which can enable the resetting of the Administrator Password but am loathe to try them without first hand confirmation of their validity etc On my head be it and so forth Is there any method to determine what the Admin pass may be or should I plump for a rd party tool to aid in the resetting of the pass If so does anyone have any suggestions for which to use If it makes any difference the machines are networked to a Mac Xserve server - though as I understand it I wont be able to access locally stored passwords through the server itself Many thanks for any light that can be shed upon this issue Mike nbsp

A:How to reset an Admin Password without Pass. Reset Disk

Sorry but this from TSG site rules:
"- Please do not ask for assistance with forgotten passwords and/or bypassing them. As there is no way to verify the actual situation and/or intentions, no assistance will be provided".

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-reset-an-admin-password-without-pass-reset-disk.1044901/
Relevancy 54.18%

I can't remember the password to sign on to my new computer. How can I perform a hard reset since thw computer did not come with a recovery disc?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/how-do-i-reset-profile-passwords-without-reset-disk/td-p/5675220
Relevancy 54.18%

two of three of my profile passwords including the administrator profile were changed on my computer without a reset wizard disk. How can i gain access to these profiles to reset passwords? 

A:how do i reset profile passwords without reset disk?

Hello Ticy77, Please see this forum thread in regars to your options in recovering adminstrative passwords.Lost Administrative Password recovery options

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/how-do-i-reset-profile-passwords-without-reset-disk/td-p/1878015
Relevancy 54.18%

Hello nbsp My friend has the same laptop as me and needed to replace his hard drive which would no longer boot I bought him a new Hard Drive and installed a copy of Windows on it Cannot Boot from Disk Hard nbsp Now when he first give it to me and I started the Notebook the Diagnostics would come on saying to install windows on the hard drive I had to to go into F BIOS Cannot Boot from Hard Disk settings and ask it to boot from my USB with on it - and it did Now i've installed on the new hard drive the Diagnostics still come up and and I have to do something tedious to get it to boot from the hard drive because I don't see HARD DRIVE in Cannot Boot from Hard Disk the UEFI boot Cannot Boot from Hard Disk list nbsp I enable legacy mode and put Hard Drive to the top of the boot order then press F to save and exit It asks me to enter some code in to verify the changes I click ESC to unverify my changes and it boots from the Hard Drive nbsp How can I make it boot from my Hard Drive automatically Will I need to install the nbsp HP UEFI Support Environment nbsp Many thanks nbsp Ryan

A:Cannot Boot from Hard Disk

Have you tried entering the code to verify that you want the change? That should enable booting from hdd without prompts.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Cannot-Boot-from-Hard-Disk/td-p/5628986
Relevancy 54.18%

This morning I shut down my pc when I left for work. when I came home and turned it on it would not boot, it hung at the flashing cursor screen where it waits for boot media. I booted the Ultimate Boot CD, and used the "Boot first hard drive" option and it started right up. Seems to be working fine but this has me worried. I am running XP pro. Is there anything I can do to reassure myself ? (other than backing up all my data which I am doing now)

A:Hard Disk won't boot on its own

Unclear from your post if xp boots now without the cd.

Make sure you are virus free
Check for disk corruption by running chkdsk /f
Go into recovery console and run the utilities fixboot and fixmbr if you still have issues booting.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-disk-wont-boot-on-its-own.702148/
Relevancy 54.18%

I have a usb hdd closure. I tried to plug in and install window xp in order to make the computer boot window xp from usb hdd. But window XP unable to access to this hdd. Is anyone know how to install window XP to a usb hard disk? i have using laptop IBM thinpad T42.

A:boot from usb hard disk

In order for this to be able to work the laptop MBoard has to support booting from a USB device...Check your manuf. manual or their website for this info.

patio.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/boot-from-usb-hard-disk.26380/
Relevancy 53.75%

I have a Windows 8 tablet Acer Iconia W700(I5 Core) and i am trying to factory reset to the default settings again because of the stupid problems i am having on the tablet.
Here is the problem i am trying to get into the BIOS which is the 1 step on the Acer website but for some bizarre reason when it is completely off i press the Windows button and the power button to get in to the BIOS as it says on the Acer Website but it keeps going to the start menu/desktop now instead of going to the BIOS. :/
I have factory reset/hard reset on my Acer Iconia W700 a couple times and i never had this problem before, i gone in to the BIOS no problem!!!
Can someone help me please?? Thanks!!!

A:Windows 8 tablet factory reset/hard reset problem!!! HELP!!

Is it still under warranty? You should try contacting Acer.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-tablet-laptop-discussion/397817-windows-8-tablet-factory-reset-hard-reset-problem-help.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi everyone,

Recently my computer started to smell funny, so i opened the case and the grpahics card had burnt and a bit of the motherboard. My computer wouldn't boot, so i replaced both of them with an 8800 GTX, Gigabyte ga-g33-ds2r (mATX). Good news was, my PC would boot and post, But the message Hard Disk Boot Failure Insert System Disk Press Enter came up. So, i checked everything in the BIOS (AHCI mdoe etc) and tried other settings to no avail, also the BIOS doesn't detect my HDD. So i tried connecting in different ports and different SATA cables. My OS was Vista 32bit premium, so i tried putting the CD in, but the Vista repair option doesnt see my HDD either.

Hope this i enough info.... Help please!!

P.S. HDD is definately working. But not being recognised.

Also is there a way to retrieve data from the HDD?

Cheers!!

A:Hard Disk Boot failure... rather odd.

Are the power and ide cables secure in the back of the hard drive ? Does the drive make any sign of being on ? Is any of the wiring dameged ? For example wire over the fan is prone to being sliced. Is the power supply unit supplying power to the hard drive ? Can you try another hard drive ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-disk-boot-failure-rather-odd.743849/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello everybody I am writing here asking for help because I need to format my computer there is nothing much useful on it my parents put a big big load of viruses and there are so many that it would just take less Cannot hard device boot disk on other than any time to format instead of getting rid of all them including other malwares The problem is that I cannot boot on any other device than my hard disk I have set my BIOS properly I have tried to boot on a CD and a USB device but it just stays maybe one minute with a white flashing and then it boots normally I cannot get into safe mode either I have never flashed my Bios I don t understand what is going on It used to be F to get into Cannot boot on any other device than hard disk it Cannot boot on any other device than hard disk and now it only gives me a boot menu for the boot device I have tried all other keys but only F works I did reset my CMOS and I still have the same problem My BIOS is set properly I can t find what s the problem at all My last resort would have been to use floppy disks but I don t have the material on my computer to do so Please anyone help me I d really Cannot boot on any other device than hard disk like my computer back I can t find anyone else with my problem everybody just didn t set their BIOS properly unlike me nbsp

Relevancy 53.32%

Hi
if i'm not on the right place, or if the answer is on another thread, sorry, but i could find it.

I'm the administrator in my company.
we have 10 Toshiba Laptop's with XP, no cd, floppy drives.

I've got the ghost image with full pack of software to install including XP.

So my question is: How to boot from a USB Portable hard disk, how to make that usb bootable drive? and after booting be able to use a dos file in it to install everything.

Thank you and sorry for the bad english

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/boot-from-usb-portable-hard-disk-427879.html
Relevancy 53.32%

No bootable device-strike F1 key to retry boot, F2 for set-up utility

Both of these errors are what I get when trying to start up my laptop.

Well to start off I should probably say that I am trying to install a new hard drive. My last one kept giving me a blue screen when trying to boot up so I bought a new hard drive. So after installing the new hard drive and more memory I put the Window's XP cd and this message is as far as I get. Can anyone help???? I do not have any access to the internet while at home so I am having to go to the local library to get on the internet. Not really to much fun so I would greatly appreciate any help that I can get

A:No boot sector on hard disk

If this is a brand new drive that did not come in a fancy box, you likely need to go to the drive manufacturer's web site to download their setup utilties. They are usually required on new OEM drives that are not sold in regular places like Wal-Mart, Best Buy, CompUSA and such.
Once setup with the manufacturers software, which takes less than a minute, you should expect no further trouble.
Otherwise, it was probably damaged in shipment, and will be covered under warranty.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-boot-sector-on-hard-disk.76350/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have a portable USB 2. hard disk with 40GB capacity. How can I make this bootable? I know a flash disk can be made bootable as I have one using hp utility. But it wom't work on the portable hard disk.
thanks!

Relevancy 53.32%

Hi all

This is my first post here and I just want to say hi before I get stuck into my problem of I cant boot my laptop. Please please can some one help me?

Thanks

A:HELP PLEASE!!! No boot sector on hard disk

Does it give any error messages when it fails to boot ? also could you post what your specs of the laptop are plus the operating system that your using.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-please-no-boot-sector-on-hard-disk.59546/
Relevancy 53.32%

Using a Dell Inspirion with Windows XP SP2. At boot up, goes to either hard drive or to CD (can direct it from Setup menu) but then absolutely nothing happens at all. Screen just blank. Have run all diagnostics on Disk, Memory, CPU, DMA etc., - all report everything OK.

After selecting CD for boot, it starts to read the CD (disk starts up etc) but never gets to boot dialogue. After selecting Hard Disk, pretty much the same thing.

Any ideas anyone? I'm totally puzzled out on this one.

Frances

A:Won't boot from Hard Disk or CD - all h/w checks OK

Hello, I noticed your post today as I am searching for resolve myself for the same issue. This came from no where for me also. I just did a restart on the 21st and returned to see the black screen. Ran the Dell Sys Test and everything passed. I had to upgrade to this drive as the other had ran out of space so I was able to hook the other back up as the master and the non boot one up as secondary. Once I got into XP and Disk management there it was and it showed to be healthy. My drive is a Maxtor> now owned by Seagate. I went to their website and they have a download to check the drive. When the test completed as passed and with the Dell Test as passed and it showing to be healthly under Disk management I am thinking that physcially the drive is ok and hopefully the same in your case. The seagate help said that when the test passed that one or more of following reasons are the problem.
File Corruption
Driver Corruption
Broken Master Boot Record
Virus or Trojan attack
Spyware, Adware & Keystroke loggers
Hardware conflicts.
I know that in my case I can rule out virus, trojan, spyware, adware & keystroke loggers. I have not installed any knew software or hardware so for now I am ruling out the hardware conflicts. But as I read more on the possible cause of the first 3 being power outage or not being shut down correctly. This was something I knew but had forgotten that I discover my battery in the battery backup had died when the electricity had gone off a couple of weeks ago and then off & on 2 or 3 more time before I could get the computer unplugged as it kelpt trying to restart. Even with it not showing that it had affected anything maybe it did and just took this amount of time to show up with me being one of those that leaves my computer running most of the time. Anyway with my first attempt to boot from xp boot disk or xp disk (oem from Dell) failing I have been stuck all day on how to get it to boot. When I finish with this post I am going to shut down and reconnect the drive back as master and try a couple of things. If one or the other works I will let you know. If you have found a resolve please do post it here in your thread.

I know I went into a lot of detail but did so just in case someone else reads this and has an idea for resolve for you or I and if any of the things in my case is like yours. With the lights coming on the drive and the floppy is reading and the cd drive doing the same but never going any further I just feel like it is a broken master boot record. So if anyone would know how to repair a master boot record while the drive is connected as a secondary, since neither Frances or myself can not boot to drive on startup it would be great for some input.
Thanks, giggimom

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wont-boot-from-hard-disk-or-cd-all-h-w-checks-ok.587532/
Relevancy 53.32%

Wondering if it would be possible to install a copy of Windows 98 SE on a partition of an External Maxtor USB backup drive on a computer that currently have Windows XP installed.

If so I will have to make the entire USB drive FAT32? Will the Windows 98 installation support a USB external drive to install to?

A:Dual Boot Win 98 Using USB Hard Disk

I don't think this is possible because USB drivers are loaded when windows starts. Because of this, your computer will have no way to boot off the drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dual-boot-win-98-using-usb-hard-disk-41727.html
Relevancy 53.32%

first of all i would like to say hello as this is my first post Ok now to my problem i was given a dell latitude D laptop from a friend the only catch is that the hard drive wasent working i went out a brought a western digital gb hard drive and intalled that i checked the bios and the board now reads a drive as been there but when i put in my windows XP boot disk i get an error that says No boot sector on hard disk No bootable devices strike F sector No hard boot on disk to retry boot F for setup utility i have looked around for a solution but most i find use windows to fix and since i cant get windows on there i have a problem one thing i would like to know is wether or not i need to intall somthing for the new drive to create a boot sector if thats even possible or if No boot sector on hard disk the mother board needs somthing to run it i would be greatful for any help i can get nbsp

A:No boot sector on hard disk

hi,
press f2 for setup utility..under setup(cmos setup) find boot order..put your hard drive in the first boot...save and exit changes...you can test it if will work...

cont...
if nothing happens...repeat your installation using windows xp cd, once you got into the windows setup just follow the screen..since your hardrive is new you can format your drive using NTFS file system quick installation.

cont..
or else check the jumper first located on the drive itself...it should be set to master

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-boot-sector-on-hard-disk.117721/
Relevancy 53.32%

Asking for help on my FIRST post the epitome of lame Sorry It's unlikely I'll resolve this one flying solo I pulled my Win XP SP drive that was working perfectly on an HP Pavilion Pentium Disk 7 On Hard After Win XP Boot Won't Another Pro Installing HT GHz PC w MB RAM as I wanted XP Won't Boot After Installing Win 7 Pro On Another Hard Disk to attempt running Windows Pro on it The motherboard is an ASUS Tek I knew this would XP Won't Boot After Installing Win 7 Pro On Another Hard Disk be a real stretch to get it going without it being constantly active from the system demand alone but I wanted to give it a go I concluded if it didn't pan out I'd fall back to the Win XP drive and all would be good That didn't happen From the point where I unplugged the Windows Pro drive and plugged in the Windows XP drive that's where it REALLY went downhill The immediate error upon failure to boot was NTLDR is missing After making a boot CD-R from a backup image I had of an NT Loader image file the next error I received was that the 'hal dll' file was either missing or corrupt from the root system directory This is currently where I stand since I can see where this is headed I'm speculating this may be the result of a flashed BIOS when I installed Windows Pro on the other hard disk however I do NOT know this for certain The current version of the BIOS is from American Megatrends v I do not know what the date and version was before checking it today Is there anyone that may have some insight to this issue I have a Windows XP and Windows XP Pro installation disk if I should need it to copy files but I CANNOT OVERWRITE this drive I simply don't see files becoming corrupted or missing on a perfectly functioning hard disk and OS so something else is obviously at play here The only thing I could think of was a change to the BIOS during the Windows Pro install on the other drive FalconEddy

A:XP Won't Boot After Installing Win 7 Pro On Another Hard Disk

put the windows xp drive back in,

boot your computer from the windows xp install disk,

when the menu appears select to install windows xp.

on the next menu screen select "repair" to repair your windows installation

or..........

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320397

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/566983/xp-wont-boot-after-installing-win-7-pro-on-another-hard-disk/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have a computer running Windows 98 and I had just installed Nero Burning Software, it told me to reboot... so i chose yes reboot now.
When it powers back up, it doesn't boot up and I get the error "Hard Disk Failure" or somethin of that sort, then it says "press f1 to continue or DEL to enter setup".. if i press DEL it goes into BIOS stuff, when i press F1 it says "HARD DISK BOOT FAILURE, PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" ... anyone know if it could be something repairable? or does this mean my hard drive is completely gone? =[

Relevancy 53.32%

hello i have a problem with one of my hard disks and windows actually my windows got corrupted and i decided to reinstall it i formatted my second GB hard drive and installed windows in it thinking of Hard disk problem boot later formatting the drive Hard disk boot problem with the corrupted windows which was on the other GB drive but now when i try to run the computer with both the drives connected and with the new windows drive as my st boot device the computer gives quot error Hard disk boot problem quot and directs me to BIOS setup i get the same messege when i try to run with only the GB drive connected so i thought of formatting the drive partition with the old windows using the windows CD but when i run the windows CD it gets stuck whenever it tries to read or examine the Gb hard drive also the GB hard disk has data which i really want to save on a seperate partition hope you understand my problem Please help with it and give some possible solution please thanks nbsp

Relevancy 53.32%

Hi All:

My machine has 120GB SATA Seagate hard disk, windows 2000 professional OS. Recently, the system hung and i hard reboot my machine, then there was an error message "Reboot and select a proper bootable device/ please insert bootable device and restart your pc". I have looked at the BIOS settings, and i found that Hard Disk is not listed in the bootable device priorities option. I have tried couple of times and the problem did not go away, but after a couple of hours when i tried restarting again it booted from hard disk. Now, again the same problem is observed. It is not recognising the hard disk. What could be the possible reasons?

Regards,
Venkat

A:Hard Disk is not recognised during boot

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The first thing I`d suggest is to try a new ide cable.

Hopefully this will sort it for you.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-disk-is-not-recognised-during-boot.30078/
Relevancy 53.32%

When I try to boot up my desktop PC normally I see first for a couple of seconds a flashing cursor in the top left of my display this is followed by a line of cursors flashing swiftly across the bottom of the screen Then a smiley face appears at the bottom left with hard Cannot windows disk from in boot up a blinking cursor The object looks like a domino with two dots in the top half like eyes and in the bottom half Cannot boot up in windows from hard disk resembling a smiley mouth Nothing further happens it just stays like that I can start Windows by booting from my setup CD PC-Cillin does not recognise any virus neither Ad-Aware spybot nor spyware blaster detect anything I could not get to the command prompt from windows Cannot boot up in windows from hard disk the virus locks out the keyboard and mouse when I try to access the command prompt so I have used the Windows set-up disk to delete my partition format the new partition and I have re-installed XP Pro The problem remains So having completely formatted my hard drive where is this virus living and even more importantly how can I get shut of it nbsp

A:Cannot boot up in windows from hard disk

you could try and reset cmos by removing the battery from the mother board for a few minutes and putting it back in,. then uppon start up you will have to enter the cmos setup (BIOS) and make any changes nessesary and save the new configuration.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-boot-up-in-windows-from-hard-disk.368119/
Relevancy 53.32%

ok well myhard drive failed in one of my computers so i tried to do a hard drive transfer from one computer to another. well after i transfered it, a error screen comes up saying "non system disk or disk error, replace and strike any key when ready" so i put in a boot disk and i can get to DOS and everything, but how would i boot up my hard drive from a boot disk? i tried changing the boot sequence and i tried typing C:\ and every other letter trying to get to that drive through DOS, with no luck, so any help is appreciated here, thank you...
PS - the hard drive did work in the previous computer it was in, and all of the connections seem to be correct, in fact i am 99.9% sure the connections are fine, and the hard drive does make noise when the computer is turned on..

Relevancy 53.32%

Someone please help I am a total retard I got this laptop well most of No Disk sector boot Hard on it but it didn t have a No boot sector on Hard Disk hard drive I got it free so no jokes Anyway I went and bought a hard drive for it Seagate ATA Gb and put No boot sector on Hard Disk it in The guy at the store obviously lied but I can t take it back because I bought it in NY on vacation and I live in KY HE said all I had to do was plug it in and it would work Well I put it in and all my laptop would do is keep saying quot no boot sector on hard disk quot Can anyone pleae help me keep in mind I am a total to this I thought I had to atleast get dos or something on it before installing an OS It is an older laptop Dell Latitude CPt but has good memory and a basic processor Not bad for free I guess but what do I need to do to make quot no boot sector on hard disk quot go away nbsp

A:No boot sector on Hard Disk

get a retail version of Wndows, install the CD and boot from it.

This will start the install process and solve the MBR issue and give you a running
system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-boot-sector-on-hard-disk.110721/
Relevancy 53.32%

I've not been able to get a 750 GByte SATA hard disk drive to accept an install of Windows XP, yet the restore disk for this mackine (eMachines T6520) installs fine on a 200 GByte IDE disk. When I format this large drive using windows XP disk manager I get a message "this disk may not be bootable due the number of cylinders" I'm paraphrasing here.

Is there an upper limit to disk size or other disk parameters into order to install windows xp.

Thanks

Keith Lingenfelter

Relevancy 53.32%

When I start up my computer which I recentl put together, it stays at the Bioware opening screen for about 3 minutes, displays the cpu fan speed and voltage info, and then has an error- "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter"
If I disconnect the hard drive, it goes through everything over 100 times as fast (bioware screen passed through 1 second after the moniter shows the image) , but ends up with the same error.
The hard drive isn't new, and it worked on my other computer. Ive checked the cable several times and it is securely connected to both the power supply and the ide socket. Also, in the bios, it shows something about "Capacity-a little more than 30000, cylanders-etc" My hard drive is 30 gig, so I assume it does detect it. ??? ???

Relevancy 53.32%

I got a new pc with no hdd so i took my old harddrive put it in my new one and its now says "disk boot failure insert system disk". can anybody help?

A:Hard disk boot failure

Hi and welcome to TSF

The new PC does not recognize the old HD operating system. The olde HD was set up for your old PC.

Need to reload the operating system.

BG

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/hard-disk-boot-failure-778234.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello all .. Plz help me in this
my system is p4 , 1 gb ram , window xp pro
I have to hard disk 80gb and 500gb
So when i start computer with only 80 gb .....its all fine
But when i try to start computer with 500gb hard disk .... Its just not go further .....and stopped at 1st screen ...where there are two options
1- enter setup f2
2- press f12 if u want to boot from network

So i press f2 ...but nothing happened ...and from last 20 minutes its still says entering setup

A:hard disk not allowing to boot

Is the the 500 GB drive SATA or IDE?

If IDE how is the jumper configured? Is this a known good drive?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-disk-not-allowing-to-boot-669192.html
Relevancy 53.32%

upon startup the fans start, hard drive starts spinning and cd light flashes slowly. The hard drive stops (light quits blinking),but the boot sequence has not started on the monitor. Also the cd light quits blinking at this time. I have tried taking the sound card,modem,and video card out of the pci slots and booting up and nothing happens. This problem started when a friend moved this machine from one house to another.
I am lost on what to try!! PLEASE HELP

Relevancy 53.32%

I've just bought Seagate Momentus XT 500GB and installed it myself to my desktop.
Downloaded DiskWizard from Seagate to clone my old hard disk into the new one.

Problem:
How do I boot from the new hard disk? I still got my old hard disk on my computer, I'm trying to use it as extra storage, but it's still booting from the old C drive. How do I change it to boot from my new hard disk?

Relevancy 53.32%

hey all,

i have a problem with my pc! i have tried all that i know 2 correct the problem, bar reformatting the drive, as there is data on there that i would like to save. once i turn on my computer, it seems to boot as normal, but then goes into the blue screen of death!!!! At first i thought this was a ram problem, so did the ram test, and also tried different ram from a different computer, but no luck. So, i removed my 200gb SATA HDD, and replaced it with an 80gb IDE drive, and still no luck. i am realy stuck with this, and am in desperate need to fix this problem!!!

So if anybody knows anything that could help me, i would be very greatfull.

many thanks

Relevancy 53.32%

Hi Not to long ago I tried to boot my computer and it displayed the infamous quot Disk from Failure Hard Boot INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER quot error When I insert a hard drive that I know works and set it as the Master and the non-working hard drive as Slave then boot the hard drive is accessible in Windows Explorer All of my files are still in the same condition as they were Boot Failure from Hard Disk before the hard drive failed I tried using the Recovery Console on a Windows XP OEM Boot Failure from Hard Disk disk to repair the Master Boot Record in case that was the problem it wouldn t accept my administrator password When I used the Ultimate Boot CD Windows I repaired the MBR or at least UBCD Win did and the hard drive was still not bootable The hard drive doesn t make any strange sounds at all I could not find any helpful advice on HP Support and I tried unplugging each device one-by-one until it booted My system specs Compaq Presario US AMD Athlon XP processor operating at GHz MB DDR SDRAM Memory GB Ultra DMA Hard Drive Integrated ProSavageDDR KM graphics with MB shared video memory Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-failure-from-hard-disk.1127692/
Relevancy 53.32%

A while ago I was cleaning out the inside of my Compaq Presario desktop (it was very dusty) and I had it laying down on it's side. Well, last night I was trying to watch a Jackie Chan DVD and stood it up so I could use the DVD. A couple minutes later, after the DVD had just begun to play, everything froze. Firefox wouldn't open, iTunes wouldn't open, Windows Media Player wouldn't close, I couldn't even stop anything with task manager. So I turned rebooted my computer manually, and it wouldn't start. The Compaq screen at the beginning would show up, and then an error saying "Cannot read disk, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart."

The only thing I can think of that could have caused this would be standing my computer up to watch the DVD damaged the hard disk. If this is the case, can it be fixed?

A:XP SP2 won't boot, says it can't read hard disk

One thing I forgot to add. Compaq has a recovery feature. From the Compaq screen at startup you press F10 and it apparently recovers your system automatically. I don't know if this will work since my C drive can't be read anyway, but if it is what will fix my computer then it won't hurt to do it. I have all of my word docs on Google docs, my email on Gmail, and my music is on my iPod i could just copy over to my computer. Just a thought...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-sp2-wont-boot-says-it-cant-read-hard-disk.603549/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have purchased a new hard disk, but my DVD ROM is dead. i have one another system. How can i boot the new hard disk from network..?

Please help...

A:How to boot a new hard disk from network

Need more details.

What exactly are you trying to do, replace a dead HD on an old system with a new one?
What is the make/model of the computre and the OS.
What does the computer do when you turn it on?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-boot-a-new-hard-disk-from-network.1081419/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello everyone As of last night my HP dv with Windows won t start At boot it gives the message PXE-E media test failure check cable PXE-M F Exiting Intel Boot Agent I researched this problem and found that this message appears when there is no apparent source for booting an OS This is commonly either because the hard drive isn t connected properly or the boot order is Boot Disk Hard at Recognized Not disorganized in the BIOS but neither are the case here When I run a boot disk my hard drive is recognized and passes every integrity test However the Windows install disk does not show any storage locations neither my internal hard drive or any external ones I have connected to test - except for some reason when I choose to browse for a driver for hardware and then my internal hard drive and external devices I plug in appear intact and fully navigable Again that s only in the submenu of browsing for drivers Hard Disk Not Recognized at Boot that is an option after the Windows installation process fails to recognize any storage media Any ideas why my computer doesn t notice the hard drive when booting but seems to in every other scenario I can test nbsp

Relevancy 53.32%

My Little Asus Terminator died in december after years of good service - needless to say the hard disk is full of important data It was running on Win XP pro service pack When I took the case off I was supprised at the amount of dust covering everything - the worst i've seen - lesson there clean the inside of the computer every year I had to remove the hard disk from my biggi computer which was working perfectly on win I think its gig proccessor I fitted new computer in Hard boot disk not will the Asus h disk and zip drive switched it on post went ok went over to boot up - would not boot just got an quot zebra crossing line at the bottom of the screen which went full white from left to right - then just stopped I reset and managed to get it to Safe Mode it started to find driver files Hard disk will not boot in new computer then just stopped again the screen full of file Hard disk will not boot in new computer strings I reset again and used the repair option but did not help I do not have the XP pro cd thanks to the person I loaned it to to sort their problem out Can anyone help - please

A:Hard disk will not boot in new computer

you will have to get the disk back and run a repair install

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-disk-will-not-boot-in-new-computer-331013.html
Relevancy 52.89%

My laptop going with the above mentioned problem what should I do to resolve it.

A:Re: boot device not found. hard disk (3F0)

When requesting assistance, please provide the complete model name and product number (p/n) of the HP computer in question. HP/Compaq makes thousands of models of computers. Without this information it may be difficult or impossible to assist you in resolving your issue. The above requested information can be found on the bottom of your computer, inside the battery compartment or on the startup BIOS screen. Please see How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? for more assistance locating this information. DO NOT include your serial number.  Please see HP Forum thread "Hard Disk - (3F0) BootDevice not found Error Message" for a possible solution to your issue. Please turn on your computer and press "F2" or "ESC" then "F2" to run the system diagnostics. Please test the hard drive in your computer for possible failure. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Re-boot-device-not-found-hard-disk-3F0/td-p/5600147
Relevancy 52.89%

My laptop is only 4 months old. Tried to Return to Factory Settings. It failed and went ton black Screen with the No Boot Device Found Error.. please help me

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-boot-device-found-3f0-hard-disk.1170832/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello I'm a newly registered member from England UK and I'm unsure which forum was most appropriate for this post However I'm highly concerned about my problem as is my Dad since he asked me to seek assistance as soon as possible I own an HP Media Center Pavillion m uk Desktop PC which I purchased in October which ran Windows XP Media Center Edition SP I had New disk/boot problems member with here, hard to reinstall the OS after messing up the boot sequence by turning off the PC by the mains Since reinstalling it I used various partition recovery tools in vein hopes that I'd be able to recover lost data However this has failed and now the hard disk will not work at New member here, with hard disk/boot problems all Not even the Recovery Console is working I was looking into ordering Recovery Discs from HP but the links provided are broken and useless Should I look into ordering recovery discs or does my HD require repair replacement I'd be most grateful for a New member here, with hard disk/boot problems helpful response

A:New member here, with hard disk/boot problems

When your computer boots up are you given any error messages? Try entering the BIOS and see of your machine recognizes the hard drive. Is the machine still under warrantee?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/new-member-here-with-hard-disk-boot-problems-149602.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I have two HDDs on my computer, and they were both running fine until I had to manually reboot after a lock-up. Now, when I turn on my comp with both of the HDDs plugged in, the Windows XP loading screen freezes up and doesn't do anything. However, the same computer works fine when I unplug one of the hard-drives (the 200 GB one) and just have my 60 GB plugged in.

Any ideas why this would happen?

The hard-drive I believe is causing the problem:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136073

Specs:

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

WDC WD600BB-00CAA1 [Hard drive] (60.02 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMA8F1138441, rev 17.07W17, SMART Status: Healthy

Board: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. A8V Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0219 11/03/2005

A:Windows Won't Boot After Connecting Hard-Disk

Try changing the jumper to suit the intention of the hard disk.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-wont-boot-after-connecting-hard-disk-193923.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I have a windows 8 computer that I plan to give away and I don't want my
data to be recoverable so I have considered DBAN, and decided to go
another direction, I have just been wondering if I format the hard drive
through another computer via a hard drive reader, will I be able to reinstall
windows through a disk because I promised that to my buyer?

Relevancy 52.89%

Every time I boot up or wake up from Sleep mode my hard disk hunts for about 10 minutes probably updating files. This seriously slows down my system.

I use the Microsoft virus checker, and the Microsoft Backup utility.
Could it be one of these, or some other software, and if so how can I locate it and then stop it?

A:Hard disk hunts for 10 minutes on boot up

Look into Resource Monitor > Disk tab to see which process/program does the activity.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/195323-hard-disk-hunts-10-minutes-boot-up.html
Relevancy 52.89%

sirsuddenly my laptop goe shut and its not turning on...a msg is displaying that boot device is not found please install an os. hard disk (3f0) .please assist me to solve the issue.thankyou

A:boot device not found hard disk (3f0)

Hi,            Remove the Hard disk drive and then check if the Hard disk drive is detected in BIOS or not. If the HDD is detected, then run a test as mentioned in the below link http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC-series/5330578/model/5354728/document... If the test passes, then you have to reinstall the OS and if the test fails, you have to replace the HDD and then reinstall the operating system. You can download the manual from the below link to know how to remove HDD http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC-series/5330578/model/5354728/manuals

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/boot-device-not-found-hard-disk-3f0/td-p/5715994
Relevancy 52.89%

my o.s or driver got corrupted..itsnt booting..only one drive in my lap..since i need my date i couldnt format and reinstall os...i have one driver c.d..i tried to repair but invain..its not bootin thro safe mode too..i inserted xp cd and tried to repair os..i went to cmd prompt ..then in cmd i tried to copy data from c: to my pen drive..but its says no access ..pls any suggestion to copy my data ..can i boot xp thro any ex.hard disk and is t possible to copy data after that???

A:Is it possible to boot my Dell through external hard disk

There are a number of BootCDs you could use. A good favorite of many is The Ultimate BootCD

Yes backup to USB flash, then install Xp clean (removing the partition when asked in the initial setup process)

Note, you do not need to create a new partition or even format the drive, as Windows setup will automatically create an NTFS formatted file system, on a non-partitioned drive, during Windows install.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-it-possible-to-boot-my-dell-through-external-hard-disk.114284/
Relevancy 52.89%

Compaq presario with Vista. Trying to do a clean install of windows 7 on comapq presario f500. Problem is the machine will only boot from hard drive. Cd drive works fine just can't boot from it.
Windows 7 install disk won't boot. Windows xp install cd won't boot. In bios setup I've move the dvd/cdrom drive to top of boot list still no luck. So I got tricky booted from vista and starting windows 7 install cd from windows explorer. Install hung part way through and I had to turn off the computer. No I can't boot vista and have an incomplete install of windows 7 which won't boot. Not even safe mode. When you boot hit Esc the boot menus only shows notebook hard drive as an option.

I've also tried unpluging the battery to clear out cmos no help.

Help I've trying to upgrade for a relative. Now the machine is uselss.

A:Compaq presario can only boot from hard disk

Download and write the latest Win7 official installer for your licensed version to flash stick from Steps 1 and 2 here which will also show you how to get a perfect install.

If you have files to rescue from Vista you can Copy & Paste - in Windows Recovery Console.

Otherwise boot the flash stick, choose Custom install, delete all partitions and create new partition(s) as desired, format and install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/235058-compaq-presario-can-only-boot-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Here is my problem: Windows 2000 will not start in normal mode; Windows 2000 will not start in Safe Mode. I know what the problem is and how I need to fix it. I think the solution would be to use a boot disk and then make the change, but I can't access my c: drive when using a boot disk. I have tried using the Windows Setup disks, a standard DOS boot disk, and even the boot disks that come with Partition Magic, but it never responds well when I type (for instance) "c:"

Is there a driver or .ini file that I can put on a boot disk to be able to access the disks?

Relevancy 52.89%

Hi, I have been using windows xp, installed on a ATA hard disk. Recently I bought a SATA hard disk and installed windows 7 ultimate on it. I installed the new windows unplugging the previous hard disk and it boots ok. But now I don't want to switch from win XP to windows overnight, since it is a home PC and every one is used to the previous settings and all.

Now when I plugged in the old hard disk, there is no option to boot from my new windows. And the new hard disk's drive letters start from the previous one's last drive letter, where I want the new hard disk's 1st drive to be C:.

Is there any way to keep the previous installation and choose in boot time from which windows I want to boot from? Also how can I make my new hard disk's drive letters start from C:?

Thank you

A:Want to boot from a new hard disk with windows 7, keeping the old XP

The Windows 7 C:, will only show C: when you boot Windows 7.

To boot the HDD, use the One Time Boot Menu.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/314319-want-boot-new-hard-disk-windows-7-keeping-old-xp.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi There is a continuous Hard disk activity harddisk light is on when boot Continuous on Hard activity Disk I boot my computer and lasts for - minutes Launching any program also shows rigrous hard disk activity Even clicking start- gt programs shows disk activity and sometimes takes time to display menu items System Details Windows XP Home MB RAM AMD Turion Antivrius used - AVG Norton Steps Taken to correct the problem but failed Checked startup programs - msconfig - stopped yahoo msn messenger from autostart no other supicious to me program in autostart except antivirus Current start up programs as shown through - msconfig atiptaxx avgcc eabservr hp wireless assistant Lsburnwatcher SynTPEnh MSASCui ccapp ctfmon yahoo widget Defragged disk Complete antivirus check disabled antivirus option to check exe files when launched avgamsvr exe Continuous Hard Disk activity on boot showed I O reads in task manager killing it doesnt really help Tried finding any program with ProcessExplorer tried CCleaner bootvis spybot search amp destroy spyware guard spyware blaster windows defender Please advice Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 52.89%

I've tried a lot of things over the last few days to no avail, hoping to gain the help of someone with exceptional computer knowledge, baring in mind I'm not that savvy with OS.

Had a virus (antivir pro solution) managed to delete that, which lowered my boot time dramatically albeit still operating slow. It hangs at the Bios screen for a good 5mins then after the microsoft window loading bar, it'll take another 20+mins to get to the user accounts screen. Once signed into my account, windows explorer I think it is doesn't load up for a good 20mins+ (start button, desktop programs, toolbar)

A point to note is that the window for task manager crashes when I attempt to open 'my computer' although every other folder doesn't.

The f*** is going on? lol.

A:Hard disk failure? 45 minutes+ to boot up!

Honestly off-hand it does sound like a failing hard disk (although you could still have some malware in there). Can you run chkdsk on the drive? (Right click the hard drive C: in Windows Explorer, Properties, Tools tab, Check Now button, both options, rebootski )

See how that turns out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-disk-failure-45-minutes-to-boot-up.151470/
Relevancy 52.89%

Here is my problem: Windows 2000 will not start in normal mode; Windows 2000 will not start in Safe Mode. I know what the problem is and how I need to fix it. I think the solution would be to use a boot disk and then make the change, but I can't access my c: drive when using a boot disk. I have tried using the Windows Setup disks, a standard DOS boot disk, and even the boot disks that come with Partition Magic, but it never responds well when I type (for instance) "c:"

Is there a driver or .ini file that I can put on a boot disk to be able to access the disks?

Relevancy 52.89%

Long OP Please bear with me A few weeks back my computer started having problems The system was slow in starting up and failed a few minutes after Light on base of mouse would die and monitor would switch to power saving The light of the front switch on my Inspiron remained steady Switching the machine off was nigh impossible meaning I had to switch off at the mains wall switch To some extent things improved following a relative's intervention he refreshed the BIOS I believe After about a week problems returned as before and with a plethora of errors Code Log Name System Source Service Control Manager Date Event ID Task Category None Level Error Keywords Classic User N A Computer Gordon-PC Description The Network List Service service depends on the Network Location Awareness service which failed to start because of the following error The dependency service or group failed to start Event Xml lt Event xmlns quot http schemas microsoft com win events event quot gt lt System gt lt Provider Name quot Service Control Manager quot Guid quot so on! many errors,hard with Boot, and disk Big probs d -a d - - e e- d f quot EventSourceName quot Service Control Manager quot gt lt EventID Qualifiers quot quot gt lt EventID gt lt Version gt lt Version gt lt Level gt lt Level gt lt Task gt lt Task gt lt Opcode gt lt Opcode gt lt Keywords gt x Big probs with Boot, many errors,hard disk and so on! lt Keywords gt lt TimeCreated SystemTime quot - - T Z quot gt lt EventRecordID gt lt EventRecordID gt lt Correlation gt lt Execution ProcessID quot quot ThreadID quot quot gt lt Channel gt System lt Channel gt lt Computer gt Gordon-PC lt Computer gt lt Security gt lt System gt lt EventData gt lt Data Name quot param quot gt Network List Service lt Data gt lt Data Name quot param quot gt Network Location Awareness lt Data gt lt Data Name quot param quot gt lt Data gt lt EventData gt lt Event gt Log Name System Source Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM Date Event ID Task Category None Level Error Keywords Classic User N A Computer Gordon-PC Description DCOM got error quot quot attempting to start the service netprofm with arguments quot quot in order to run the server A D -C - D -A B - AD B Event Xml lt Event xmlns quot http schemas microsoft com win events event quot gt lt System gt lt Provider Name quot Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM quot Guid quot B E -B AA- -BADC-B F A E quot EventSourceName quot DCOM quot gt lt EventID Qualifiers quot quot gt lt EventID gt lt Version gt lt Version gt lt Level gt lt Level gt lt Task gt lt Task gt lt Opcode gt lt Opcode gt lt Keywords gt x lt Keywords gt lt TimeCreated SystemTime quot - - T Z quot gt lt EventRecordID gt lt EventRecordID gt lt Correlation gt lt Execution ProcessID quot quot ThreadID quot quot gt lt Channel gt System lt Channel gt lt Computer gt Gordon-PC lt Computer gt lt Security gt lt System gt lt EventData gt lt Data Name quot param quot gt lt Data gt lt Data Name quot param quot gt netprofm lt Data gt lt Data Name quot param quot gt lt Data gt lt Data Name quot param quot gt A D -C - D -A B - AD B lt Data gt lt EventData gt lt Event gt Log Name System Source Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM Date Event ID Task Category None Level Error Keywords Classic User N A Computer Gordon-PC Description DCOM got error quot quot attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments quot quot in order to run the server E B D-F A- D -B A - Event Xml lt Event xmlns quot http schemas microsoft com win events event quot gt lt System gt lt Provider Name quot Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM quot Guid quot B E -B AA- -BADC-B F A E quot EventSourceName quot DCOM quot gt lt EventID Qualifiers quot quot gt lt EventID gt lt Version gt lt Version gt lt Level gt lt Level gt lt Task gt lt Task gt lt Opcode gt lt Opcode gt lt Keywords gt x lt Keywords gt lt TimeCreated SystemTime quot - - T Z quot gt lt EventRecordID gt lt EventRecordID gt lt Correlation gt lt Execution ProcessID quot quot ThreadID quot quot gt lt Channel gt... Read more

A:Big probs with Boot, many errors,hard disk and so on!

All of this is looking like motherboard or power supply issues to me.
Sadly neither are very easy to test for without proper equipment.

Also could you follow these instructions on the machine in question?
http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...tructions.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/198112-big-probs-boot-many-errors-hard-disk-so.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I just installed a new motherboard (Asus P4P800) and new harddrive (Seagate 300GB) and would like to install Windows XP PRO from my backup disk and keep getting the same message, NTLDR is missing. I realize the disk is not a boot disk and that is the reason for the message. The only operating system I have available that can boot is Windows 3.11. Can I load that operating system on the computer and than load XP PRO or am I wasting my time? Is there any other thing I might try? Remember, I have no operating system on the computer now and the computer I am using as I write this does not have a CD writer. I can download to a floppy disk though.
I appreciate any help I can get.

A:Loading A Non-boot Disk On New Hard Drive

I believe you will need a retail copy of XP in order to install XP on this HD.

If the version of XP you had was oem and validated using another motherboard previously or preinstalled on a computer by a computer manufacturer or assembler you will not be able to validate the XP installation.

Only a retail version is transferable.
If you have a retail CD and the 25 digit key number and the previous installation is no longer active you may be able to transfer your license to this new computer (Microsoft considers a new motherboard a new computer).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/53388/loading-a-non-boot-disk-on-new-hard-drive/
Relevancy 52.89%

i have one error message: hard disk(s) fail )20).
can someone tell me what this means?
this harddrive is a 3.4gb fujitsu with windows xp that booted ok several times until i transplanted it to this machine. bios and post detect the hard drive and 3243mb as primary master.

so, opinions on hdisks fail 20 will help.

A:i get a hard disk(s) fail (20) message and can't boot. can you help?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-get-a-hard-disk-s-fail-20-message-and-cant-boot-can-you-help.297173/
Relevancy 52.89%

I need to find out how to go back to a restore point on a non bootable drive in windows vista home premium I can boot and read help Combofix! won't Urgent Please disk - hard after boot it with another drive that I am temporarily booting from Here is a link to my post in the HJT thread and more details about the problem TIA http www bleepingcomputer com forums ind Urgent - Please help hard disk won't boot after Combofix! st amp p I am in deep trouble after running Combofix as instructed by Billy O'Neal I really appreciate your help Apparently I am the in and my computer will not boot It gives me a message such as A recent hardware change damaged your computer Insert windows installation disk and restart your computer choose your language Repair computer File Windows system config system Status OXC C Regestry file missing or corrupt I do not have a windows vista home premium system disk as it came preinstalled with my month old Acer computer Using their utility restores it to factory and deletes all my programs I did replace the GB hard disk with a TB which fortunately was cloned However I have installed a lot of new programs after the clone So I temprarilly removed my data programs install disk MB and rebooted from the original Acer drive I can access the TB drive which will not boot I need to find out how to restore the TB drive to the restore point that ComboFix set Urgent - Please help hard disk won't boot after Combofix! Log follows I did do a Malbytes Anti-Malware scan on the Acer drive and unfortunately it too was infected I had all removed Log followsCombofix Txt ComboFix - - - Les - - - NTFSx Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium GMT - Running from C Users Les Desktop ComboFix exe Created a new restore point Resident AV is active----------------------------------------------------------------alwarebytes' Anti-Malware Database version Windows Service Pack PMmbam-log- - - - - txtScan type Quick ScanObjects scanned Time elapsed minute s second s Memory Processes Infected Memory Modules Infected Registry Keys Infected Registry Values Infected Registry Data Items Infected Folders Infected Files Infected Memory Processes Infected No malicious items detected Memory Modules Infected No malicious items detected Registry Keys Infected HKEY CURRENT USER SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Ext Stats d db d - ec - a -bd - e e bb Adware MyWebSearch - Quarantined and deleted successfully HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE FunWebProducts Adware MyWebSearch - Quarantined and deleted successfully Registry Values Infected HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion RunServices SSDPSRV Backdoor Bot - Quarantined and deleted successfully Registry Data Items Infected No malicious items detected Folders Infected C Program Files FunWebProducts Adware MyWebSearch - Quarantined and deleted successfully C Program Files FunWebProducts Installr Adware MyWebSearch - Quarantined and deleted successfully C Program Files FunWebProducts Installr bin Adware MyWebSearch - Quarantined and deleted successfully Files Infected C Windows System ssdpsrv exe Backdoor Bot - Quarantined and deleted successfully Thanks for your help

A:Urgent - Please help hard disk won't boot after Combofix!

You are still working with your HJT member. you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.I am closing this topic.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176567/urgent-please-help-hard-disk-wont-boot-after-combofix/
Relevancy 52.89%

I wonder if anyone can help me as I have tried to look for the answer to this problem in many places but the answer eludes me I have physical hard disks on my PC Pentium III - I started off with Hard disk GB where I installed Windows SE Subsequently I installed WinXP on a info change to boot hard another to How disk? new hard disk I bought GB Now whenever I boot up the system startup gives me a choice to start up How to change boot info to another hard disk? either WinXP Professional or Win Now the problem is I found out that the boot information seemed to have been stored in my first hard disk the one with Win SE I would rather have this on my nd hard How to change boot info to another hard disk? disk the one with WinXP as I presume that if I eventually reformat my HDD then I may not be able to start up my WinXP anymore as the boot info for the whole PC is in HDD I have tried using BIOS setting to turn off the HDD and the result is that I cannot boot my PC at all Someone has told me I need to have a files in my HDD namely - Boot ini - Ntdetect com - NTLDR I ve done so but still I cannot find a way to move the boot instructions Can any of you experts give me a hand Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 52.89%

Hi
i did notice that at every boot , w7 spins up my hard disk during the boot

can i avoid this?

and my boot is slower
thanks
cheers

A:can i avoid w7 spin up my usb hard disk during the boot?

Is there a reason you need to keep the external drive constantly connected?

The easy answer is to "Safely Remove" it from the system and then unplug it before you shut down. Then plug it back in after you start up.

I don't see what you can gain from leaving it plugged in all the time, and it is slowing things down, so....

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/233736-can-i-avoid-w7-spin-up-my-usb-hard-disk-during-boot.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi! First of all, I don't know for sure if this is the right topic. If not, I'm sorry!
Since a few hours ago my pc won't completely boot.
I'm getting a 3rd slave hard disk error. And in the bios it states this:
Primary IDE Master: Not Detected
Primary IDE Slave: Not Detected
SATA 1: Optiarc DVD RW AD-
SATA 2: WDC ROM MODEL-BUCC

I have a Asus P5KPL-AM IN/ROEM motherboard and I've got 0 knowledge about pc's

A:PC won't boot, 3rd slave hard disk error.

If it is saying Disk 3 is having an error then I would either disconnect, or disable the 3rd drive. A bad drive could stall windows and prevent it from fully loading. Hopefully the 3rd drive is not the one with your OS on it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-wont-boot-3rd-slave-hard-disk-error.180052/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello I have a Western Digital Elements Gb external Hard Drive It has been giving me a hard time today First it wasn't recognized as a working HD just as a broken one which had to be is Ext boot but doesn't Disk Hard partially seen formatted In another port it was recognized like normal Then it disconnected itself and came back Ext Hard Disk doesn't boot but is partially seen as a unreadable disk To try Ext Hard Disk doesn't boot but is partially seen and salvage my files I tried a lot of recovery programs with which only one program saw the files but had to be purchased for recovery After trying somethings else which included reconnecting my HD It stopped working as a HD Now the light starts flickering the pc recognizes a external hard disk being connected it installes WD software but it never sees the disk itself the HD itself doesn't even run I can not hear he disk spinning Is there anyway to solve it in a software-way I can't really be spending a lot of cash on recovery agencies Kind regards Joost

A:Ext Hard Disk doesn't boot but is partially seen

Well if you can still get it to connect to the computer (whether it looks normal or says it needs to be formatted) download HD Tune ( HD Tune website ) they have a free trial and see what it looks like under the health tab for your portable hard drive. Do you see anything in yellow or red? Is/was the drive ever making any clicking sounds? If you can't get it to connect to the software then another option if you don't care/don't have a warranty anymore you can open the case and take the hard drive out, then hook it up inside your desktop to see if it will show up.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/300236-ext-hard-disk-doesnt-boot-but-partially-seen.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I've upgraded one of my machines to Windows I put in a new SSD and left the old Windows drive alone just unplugged I wanted to leave it intact in case I decided to downgrade I should mention that I did an upgrade install of Windows by installing Win to the SSD first The problem is this Today I realized that I needed to use something briefly from the Windows drive which did not work on Windows yet replacement program arrives on Monday I unplugged the Win drive and plugged in the Win drive and rebooted It would not boot up It got halfway into the colored fly-in gave a brief BSOD which I couldn't read and then rebooted It did this multiple times before I ran Startup Repair Startup Repair didn't help at all but it did tell me that there was a driver error I tried System Restore and safe mode and neither worked Safe mode just stalls at quot ClassPNP sys quot and then BSODs and reboots Nothing has changed in this machine hardware wise so I don't get why Causes Error Switching Hard Boot Disk there is now a driver error It's not like the motherboard would remember the Windows configuration Going back to Windows works fine Any ideas anyone I'm at a loss

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/386266-switching-hard-disk-causes-boot-error.html
Relevancy 52.89%

BootDevice not found please install an operating system on your hard disk hard Disk - (3F0) my computer make beeping sound , and i can't couch the sequence of it. please help

A:boot device not found. hard disk (3F0)

Please see HP Forum thread "Hard Disk - (3F0) BootDevice not found Error Message" for a possible solution to your issue. Please turn on your computer and press "F2" or "ESC" then "F2" to run the system diagnostics. Please test the hard drive in your computer for possible failure. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/boot-device-not-found-hard-disk-3F0/td-p/5600056
Relevancy 52.89%

My initial problem was that the notebook wouldn't charge when switched on. I downloaded HP Support Assistant to try and analyse the battery status but when restarting, the display shows Boot Device Not Found. Have tried performing a hard reset but it has had no effect.Error code is 60APTG-73588K-MFGH61-60EB03

A:Boot device not found Hard Disk 3F0

Hi, The 24 character error is not good, most likely hard drive failed but try the following BIOS setup for 3F0:      http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Re-quot-Hard-Disk-3F0-BootDevic... Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Boot-device-not-found-Hard-Disk-3F0/td-p/5788249
Relevancy 52.89%

Hard drive crashed, no boot disk provided when we bought this from Micro Center, figured they'd sell them, not. Do the boot disks sold on eBay really work? If not where can one be acquired from ACER as Micro Center was NOT helpfull at all?ACER E5-571 35LV is the model   

A:Hard Drive Crash - no boot disk

I'm pretty sure Acer recommends that you create your recovery media during the first week after your computer purchase.....using their pre-installed software to create the media. http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29934/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDY1MjM2Nzc... You can get free vanilla Windows 8.1...... http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media Or purchase orginal factory recovery media from Acer....... http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/ Sometimes you can use ALT-F10 at boot.......to get the computer running again. http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35232  Edit: I wouldn't buy a boot disk or recovery media off of E-bay.

http://community.acer.com/t5/E-and-M-Series-Laptops/Hard-Drive-Crash-no-boot-disk/td-p/437614/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 52.89%

My computer was working fine until really recently when had started having audio problems then freezing someone pointed out to me in task manager that my disk was always at though I think that had always been the case Hard 3f1 re... BSOD boots 1 boot disk 301, and but won't or and since updating to Windows a year ago It continued having these issues until it got worse and I noticed my CPU Hard disk 1 3f1 and 301, won't boot or boots but BSOD and re... ram and disk were all at Figuring I had a virus on my system at this point I had ran a scan but notshing and as I couldn't use any recovery options disk was locked restore point not working etc I did a clean install of windows everything seemed to run soomthly for a day or Then I started getting BSOD bad config info registry etc and these hard disk errors I could sometimes manage to get it to boot back into windows and use it but the next day these errors would return Quick extended and a Linux disk check have cleared my hard and yet I still cannot boot Having clean installed I figure d it was missing a driver or something so today I decided to use my recovery Media for the computer Still nothing I've ordered a new hard drive but Im not Hard disk 1 3f1 and 301, won't boot or boots but BSOD and re... sure that will solve my problem Any suggestions

A:Hard disk 1 3f1 and 301, won't boot or boots but BSOD and re...

Hi, 3xx errors normally indicate HDD is failing. Please try the following fix first:          http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/My-PC-is-saying-Boot-Device-not... Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Hard-disk-1-3f1-and-301-won-t-boot-or-boots-but-BSOD-and/td-p/5681262
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi all

This is my first post here and I just want to say hi before I get stuck into my problem of I cant boot up my laptop. Please please can some one help me? I am not familiar with this type of problem.

Thanks

A:URGENT HELP NEEDED cant boot from hard disk

What laptop have you got???

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/urgent-help-needed-cant-boot-from-hard-disk.59551/