Windows Support Forum

Need Help Getting Out Of The Raid Setup

Q: Need Help Getting Out Of The Raid Setup

A few months ago I thought I got a great deal on a Dell Precision T with dual quad GHz processor and MB of RAM The Raid Of Setup Getting Out Need Help upgradable to over MB It also came with GB hard drives but before I figured out that the second drive was just a data recorder set up in a RAID formation in order to safely keep sensitive data safer by duplicating it on a second drive Well the second hard drive went out and I had to re- install Windows on the first drive and I thought everything would be allright but then Need Help Getting Out Of The Raid Setup the first drive went out also I have choices in the bios to change this setup RAID Auto Detect AHCI RAID Autodetect ATA or RAID On Obviously I want the RAID off but it looks like I have to reformat my hard drives to make that happen and I don t know how Can someone please help me fix my computer back to normal With this system I ought to have some serious power put together right I already have an gb new solid state drive but I don t want to mess things up before I put my operating system on the solid state for quick start ups and then add a couple of large hard drives for my large data Also upgrading the video card Can someone help me straighten this mess out because I am afraid I may need a certain format to keep this from happening again and I am in uncharted waters nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Need Help Getting Out Of The Raid Setup

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Need Help Getting Out Of The Raid Setup

If u are only going to have one drive for the OS u need the raid turned off. just make sure to install programs on the other D: drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-getting-out-of-the-raid-setup.206492/
Relevancy 24.51%

I am working on a Toshiba Satellite with Insyde H2O bios. It says to use F2 for setup and F12 for boot manager.

I've tried all the function keys, as well as esc and del and they only get me to Windows Boot Manager. (This includes F2.)

The machine has Vista that stops loading when it gets to the network drivers. Could a corrupt BIOS be the cause? If I download a new BIOS can I install it from the command prompt?

If the BIOS is still OK are there other ways to get into setup?

(Meanwhile F2 works just fine on my Dell Lattitude)

A:Can't get into BIOS setup utility

Try using a USB keyboard...

"Could a corrupt BIOS be the cause?"

I don't think you would get that far in the boot process if the bios were corrupt

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-get-into-bios-setup-utility.178271/
Relevancy 24.51%

Motherboard GA-X79-UD3 socket 2011
CPU Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E Quad-Core 3.6GHz
PSU 850 watt
ram 16 GB
Hard drive 256 GB ssd
at this time I have GPU is GTX 550tix2

A:Best card for my setup

Budget? What do you want this card for, I,e, gaming, video rendering, etc.? As for "best" there are probably several options open to you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-card-for-my-setup.216146/
Relevancy 22.79%

I have a three month old Dell Dimension GHZ P Gig Ram and a gig SATA Hard Drive When I got the computer I used the files and transfer PC Relocator utility And had in Error system drives did hard Message: disk find Setup not your installed any a bunch of unwanted extras that came with it I m having a Satellite Internet system installed and they wanted a clean install of windows XP So I opened the owner s manual and got out the reinstallation disk and the problems began By the way Dell tech support s only response has been to say gee that s not right and would send a tech sometime after Christmas Anyway heres step by step what I did I boot to the Dell reinstallation disk Error Message: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system The windows setup screen appears and loads files The next screen says welcome to setup and offers three options -to setup XP press enters To repair XP press R to exit without installing XP press F I press enter and the following message comes up Setup did not find any hard disk installed in your computer Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected And any disk related configuration is correct ect Press F to quit It dose this if I try repair also Dell had me check the connections to the HD and Motherboard They re good And debug the hard drive No luck Everything worked fine until I put in the reinstallation disk Any help would be welcome nbsp

A:Error Message: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system

During Setup, it will ask you if you need any extra drivers such as SCSI (or SATA in your case). If so, press F6. Now you are in trouble, because SATA drivers come on a floppy and new(er) Dells don't have a floppy anymore. Borrow a floppy-drive from another PC and install that in your Dell.
Setting up with the Dell disks, I'm not sure if they are RESTORE-disks or full XP-disks.
That may cause another problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/error-message-setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives-installed-in-your-system.18329/
Relevancy 24.08%

Okay so I am having an issue working out if my case will be able to hold my motherboard and graphics card Case Details Available Color Black Materials Steel body plastic Dimension x x mm x x inch (I Computer Building my First setup) changed W x H x D Net Weight kg lbs M B Type Micro-ATX ATX quot Drive Bays exposed quot Drive Bays exposed hidden quot Drive Bays hidden I O Panel USB x int USB x Mic x Audio x supports AC HD Audio Expansion Slots Cooling System Front mm fan x optional or mm fan x Building First Computer (I changed my setup) optional Rear mm black fan x pre-installed Side left mm or mm fan x optional Side right mm fan x optional Building First Computer (I changed my setup) Power Supply Type Standard ATX PS EPS V optional Maximum Compatibility VGA card length mm inch with HDD cage CPU cooler height mm inch Now Ill list my other parts I have They should Building First Computer (I changed my setup) also be links if they are not links just search the name WD quot Green TB WD EZRX SATA M RPM HDD Patriot Signature GB Kit Gx DDR - - PSD G KH Samsung SATA x Black DVD RW Gigabyte N - GI N SL- GL DDR GT PCI-E VGA Card Intel BX G Pentium G GHz MB LGA ASRock H M Anniversary Motherboard nbsp

A:Building First Computer (I changed my setup)

From the case details you have supplied (Motherboard type: Micro ATX or ATX and maximum video card length of 320mm) you are well within the parameters of having everything fit.
ASRock H97M motherboard is a Micro ATX board.
Gigabyte N730-2GI video card is 185mm in length.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/building-first-computer-i-changed-my-setup.210947/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi guys, I have set up a RAID 0 array using an XFX Revo64 controller card and the Netcell bios setup that cones with it. According to the Netcell bios the array is working but booting into 8.1 I cannot find the drive in explorer and device manager shows the Revo64 as "Generic Mass Storage Controller ".

I am very new to Raid this is the first array I have tried to setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards,
Jay

A:Windows 8.1 cannot find RAID array

Why not use the RAID card as more sata ports and then use windows to make your RAID array? I've never used a controller but im sure that it would work for that purpose.
just go on youtube and find a video on how to setup RAID in windows 8. I know its possible for windows 7 to im pretty sure 8.1 will have it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-8-1-cannot-find-raid-array.208501/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hello,
For my next upgrade [Some time around march,Just getting the shopping etc done now] I was thinking of increasing the boot times save times etc. My first thought was. Just get a ssd and plonk it into my system. By then I realised a raid card and Multiple HDD's would be a better option with more storage and more speed [in theory] so I've found a raid card.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCI-Inter...d&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=360559937654&rt=nc
My only query is that I wont be able to setup RAID 10 with 320Gb and 300mb/s or RAID 0 with 720Gb and 600mb/s and have my OS put onto this setup. [My motherboard (g33mo3 foxconn board) does NOT support RAID to my knowledge(Feel free to correct me if you know different)] so would this card be able to boot from the HDD's attatched in RAID10 / RAID 0
Thanks.
P.S should I go with a faster and more storage or more reliable and less power etc...

Thank you again
~Joseph

A:Raid card

If you're going to go RAID don't do it with the cheapest RAID controller money can buy. I can almost guarantee you won't have a great experience if you do. I've never seen a good $10 RAID controller before (unless times have really changed) and the controller you linked only has 2 SATA ports so you won't be setting up RAID10. RAID10 requires at minimum 4 drives.

nevermind - upon closer inspection it does have 4 SATA ports - but I still think if you're going to go with a RAID controller you should get a higher quality one than this.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-card.208527/
Relevancy 24.51%

Before I say anything else, I am very new to building a computer. Ive never built one in my life. I am curious if the setup I have to far will work! I am trying to look for pretty cheap but good options for parts. So far I have a case, processor, and GPU in mind. I need ideas for the motherboard especially. I dont know how to tell if everything would work correctly, so if something would be incompatible, could you tell me?

So far I have

GPU: Nvidia GTX 760
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770k
Case: NZXT Phantom 240 Mid Tower
Ram:
Motherboard:
Hard-Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
Power Supply:
DVD Drive:
Operating System: Windows 7 64 Bit
Monitor:

Would there be anything else I need? Also what is thermal compound and Heatsink? Are these required for my setup? Please tell me if there is anything wrong with this so far and what items I should use for the unfilled spaces! Thank you all so much!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-this-setup-work.207722/
Relevancy 24.08%

I am trying to set up my Windows Xp computer as a VPN server I have taken the initial steps I get to the Accept Xp setup VPN hanging server Windows incoming connections screen and click okay The computer hangs for about a minute or so and then comes up with the following message Incoming connections depend on Routing and Remote access Windows Xp VPN server setup hanging service which was unable to start For more information check the system event log I presumed I had to go to control panel performance and maintenance Administrative Tools Event viewer I have already made sure that Routing and Remote access are enabled as well as Telephony I could not find Netbios in the services list and don t know where to Windows Xp VPN server setup hanging look for it Also when I try to start Routing and Remote access service manually I get the following message Windows could not start Routing and Remote access on local computer For more information review the System Event Log If this is a non-Microsoft service contact the service vendor and refer to the service specific error code- Can some one give me a step by step walk through of how to resolve this issue so I can connect to that computer from work over the internet nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-vpn-server-setup-hanging.207658/
Relevancy 27.52%

I've never seen this before. It just popped up a bit ago on my W7 pc.

What does it mean? I hope its nothing bad.

A:RAID error?

I found this in a google search http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/AMD-RAIDXpert-Warning-Errors/td-p/342708

I've known this pc has RAID on it because everytime it reboots/boots up it shows it. I've had this pc for two years this month & just hoping nothing bad is happening.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-error.207317/
Relevancy 24.51%

This is my current setup and am wondering if there's anything that can be improved.
primary hard drive 210GB Samsung SSD
secondary hard drive 931 GB Western Digital
8 GB DDR 3 dual channel memory
2TB Western Digital Passport external hard drive
Intel i5 2500K processor (not overclocked)
After running Winaero WEI tool I was supprised to see my primary hard drive is the bottle neck as it's SSD. Is there a way I can tell that SSD is primary, and not the old hard drive?

I run Windows 8.1 as main computer, then with VMware I run Windows 7 from secondary hard drive (all of its files are on secondary hard drive).

I noticed with the VM running some programs take a while to load the first time. For example Maple and Photoshop take 10 seconds, but if they are closed and open again then they take 2 seconds to open. Also with the VM and Firefox running 75% of memory is used. Does this mean I need more RAM?

A:Best setup with hardware

All that means is drive as far as windows is concerned is slower than the graphics card, memory ,and processor is. that means nothing. u'r computer is fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-setup-with-hardware.206940/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi,

Quick question and I believe the answer is NO. If you have a PC with one drive where OS is already running and configured, can you add another identical drive and configure RAID 1 without having to reinstall or reformat anything?

Thanks

A:Setting up RAID 1 on already running OS drive

Hey there, pioneerx01!

Unfortunately, you can't convert a single drive into a RAID array without data loss. At least one sector will be overwritten, which will cause problems because the file system and partition information will not be correct anymore. This will lead to a lot of annoying notifications and very unpleasant problems.
However, I believe there's a chance to create RAID arrays while keeping the data but I'd strongly advise against it.
The best way to deal with this is the safe way - back up your data and properly create the RAID 1 array.

Hope this helps.
SuperSoph_WD

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setting-up-raid-1-on-already-running-os-drive.205730/
Relevancy 24.08%

I bought a 250 GB Samsung Evo SSD 840 for my desktop (850 isn't available in Canada yet). I'm running Windows 7 but am considering upgrading to Windows 8 or Ubuntu (or dualboot/vmware). My work is technical and to keep up with the times I am considering Windows 8, though I don't have a touchscreen. I am not sure the kind of configuration to use and am open to ideas. The current hard drive I have is a slow 1TB one. I was planning on setting up the SSD as a cache.

EDIT: my motherboard is Asus p8z68-v le

A:Setup with 1TB harddrive and fast 250GB SSD

I would not recommend setting up a cache at all with that large capacity SSD. Usually people cache with 64GB SSDs, but in your case, you might as well just migrate data to the SSD and use the HDD for bulk storage (large files).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setup-with-1tb-harddrive-and-fast-250gb-ssd.204009/
Relevancy 26.66%

I have a Dell Precision T which I just purchased off of Ebay Recognized Possible Hard Formation, Second Not Drive Raid It came with gb of ram and gb hard drives installed In quot my computer quot it shows drive quot c quot but not the second drive This computer supports raid configurations but when I received it it had no operating system installed I installed windows ultimate bit This computer has quad core processors and I have been noticing a Possible Raid Formation, Second Hard Drive Not Recognized slower response time lately which leads me to believe it may be in one of the raid modes even though they are supposed to be faster most of the time Possible Raid Formation, Second Hard Drive Not Recognized I went into the bios and the setting it is on is to automatically detect raid configuration in the drives and if not detected the regular mode I read some information about raid setup and cannot find the software quot Intel Matrix Storage Console quot on the computer to help verify or change settings Could this be an extra program like drivers that are downloaded from the Dell website because they don t normally come with a regular windows install If someone is familiar with configuring raid formations could you please help me determine what my system is set on and how to set it properly I would be satisfied to not have raid active as I don t need that kind of constant backup My work is not that important I can back up important files in other ways nbsp

A:Possible Raid Formation, Second Hard Drive Not Recognized

What shows up in the Disk Manager vs the Device manager?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/possible-raid-formation-second-hard-drive-not-recognized.202015/
Relevancy 27.09%

I have 64bit Win7 Home. My C: boot drive is a 120GB SSD with most of my programs installed on an ordinary HDD, saving the SSD for frequently used stuff.

I bought a duplicate SSD (same brand/size/model) for the purpose of creating a Raid-0 array.

I've backed up everything on my SSD, but how do I restore it once I setup the Raid?

Thx.

A:Moving single C: drive to Raid-0

Copy/paste?

Or create image of the SSD, then apply it to the raid partition.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/moving-single-c-drive-to-raid-0.203051/
Relevancy 27.09%

So I have an external array on Raid GPT 5 Damaged hardware Raid array consisting of x TB drives yielding little over TB of formatted space connected over eSATA The array has about TB of data on it One sad afternoon I was copying some data when my computer decided to freeze It did not quot un-freez quot itself in timely manner so I was forced to manually reboot After the reboot all came back online but the windows gave me message that if I want to use the disk RAID array I will have to format it Needless to say I turned pale The RAID utility shows the raid as intact with no errors The Windows recognizes the quot drive quot and does assign it a letter but I cannot access it it wants Damaged GPT on Raid 5 array a format The disk manager recognizes the quot drive quot as healthy but in RAW file format I have used Active Partition Recovery freeware on it and it does recognize the quot drive quot partition and all the files folders can t copy and paste them figures However in the properties it states the the GPT is damaged All the data is there but I can t get to it or get it out What are my options at this point Thanks Desperate and pale Pioneer nbsp

A:Damaged GPT on Raid 5 array

Please note that anything you try to do now can cause more damage.

Give TestDisk a try. its free opensource software free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software: certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/damaged-gpt-on-raid-5-array.202439/
Relevancy 26.23%

The computer has 2 750gb hard drives in it but I noticed it was awful slow for a dual quad core computer with win 7 64 bit and 16gb of ram so I checked in the bios and I don't really see a way to turn it completely off unless the hard drives are reformatted in some way. If someone is familiar with this problem please help. I have disconnected one drive and re-installed windows on the other for now.

A:How do I turn off raid mode on a Dell Precision T5400

You can't just take drives that have a RAID array on them and expect them to work when you turn RAID off. You'll need to re-format.

Anyway, the Dell BIOS has an option for HDD mode, it's in there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-turn-off-raid-mode-on-a-dell-precision-t5400.202235/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hi Have a new Dell XPS th gen i The motherboard is Intel Series C - Z I have one TB Seagate drive which has Windows on it and two WD active but 1 see does RAID it? not Rapid Storage Intel TB internal hard drives I formatted both WDs and selected RAID in BIOS I selected the WD HDs to create a RAID array with CTRL I Windows didn t recognize them so I went to disk management and created a simple volume The volume was formatted not quick format and now it shows as Healthy Partition I guess it is ready to use because now Windows Explorer RAID 1 active but Intel Rapid Storage does not see it? shows it as one HD TB in size My question is Intel Rapid Storage keeps popping up the you may have an issue with your hardware I go take a look at it and the only drives that are shown are the original TB system drive and the DVD drive No sign of RAID 1 active but Intel Rapid Storage does not see it? the RAID volume I hit refresh but it does not show up I go to System Report and all HDs show up What do you think is happening How can I have Rapid Storage show the RAID volume I already updated Rapid Storage to the latest version Thank you in advance Below is what the System Report shows System Report System Information OS name Microsoft Windows OS version System name WINDOWS-U I N System manufacturer Dell Inc System model XPS Processor GenuineIntel Intel Family Model Stepping GHz BIOS Dell Inc A Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise Information Kit installed User interface version Language English United States Driver version ISDI version Storage System Information Controller name Intel R Series C Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller Type SATA Mode AHCI Number of SATA ports Number of volumes Volume Volume Number of spares Number of available disks Rebuild on Hot Plug Disabled Manufacturer Model number Product revision Direct attached disk Z D P XK Direct attached disk WD-WMAWP Direct attached disk WD-WMAWP Disk on Controller Port Status Normal Type SATA disk Location type Internal Size GB System disk Yes Disk data cache Enabled Command queuing NCQ SATA transfer rate Gb s Model ST DM - CH Serial number Z D P XK SCSI device ID Firmware CC Physical sector size Bytes Logical sector size Bytes Disk on Controller Port Status Normal Type SATA disk Location type Internal Size GB System disk No Disk data cache Disabled Command queuing NCQ SATA transfer rate Gb s Model WDC WD FAEX- BA Serial number WD-WMAWP SCSI device ID Firmware D Physical sector size Bytes Logical sector size Bytes Disk on Controller Port Status Normal Type SATA disk Location type Internal Size GB System disk No Disk data cache Disabled Command queuing NCQ SATA transfer rate Gb s Model WDC WD FAEX- BA Serial number WD-WMAWP SCSI device ID Firmware D Physical sector size Bytes Logical sector size Bytes ATAPI device on Controller Port Location type Internal SATA transfer rate Gb s Model TSSTcorp DVD -RW SH- DB Serial number S Q YBD ANS Firmware D nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-1-active-but-intel-rapid-storage-does-not-see-it.199550/
Relevancy 27.09%

I have a 4 bay Synology NAS that I need to setup. I plan to use the Synology Hybrid RAID option and need to decide if I want 1 or 2 disk redundancy upfront since you cannot convert between the two once you start. I know RAID does not serve the function of a backup so if this is for simple hardware failure protection what advice do you have? I plan to use the WD RED series of drives and my experience with WD over twenty years and about 6 home built PCs has been very good so I am leaning towards 1 drive redundancy unless someone can give me a good reason to go with two.

A:Hybrid RAID, 1 or 2 disk redundant

Just to be clear, your asking about one array Raid 1 (with two disks in it) versus two arrays of Raid 1 with two disks each.
Attempting "1 drive redundancy" with only one physical hd is illogical and invalid.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hybrid-raid-1-or-2-disk-redundant.198554/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hey guys,

I'm needing some information that is extremely hard to come by.

The 740m in the HP Envy 17t-j000, does anyone know, or does anyone know WHERE to look (Google failed me, or I failed Google!) to find out whether it needs ACTIVE displayport -> HDMI adapters?

I question this because I know the 57xx series from ATI required active. The card only supported 1 RAMDAC signal (or something?) and the Nvidia's tech seems different. According to HP support, passive will work fine. I need to have the adapters ordered ASAP, but I do not want to order the incorrect ones.

Any assistance is appreciated.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-envy-17t-j000-w-740m-triple-monitor-setup-questions.197029/
Relevancy 24.51%

I have a 430gt with 3 monitor hooked to it , but I can only display on 2 .So is there a program that is good to use . to make all 3 display at the same time . So I can play games on 1 and have the on another and maybe run something else on the other?

A:3 monitor setup

Well I do believe the GT 430 only supports up to 2 monitors running at the same time if im not mistaken, im looking on NVidia.com and it seems to be so. However if you are running on an Intel Processor, you can set it to support a third monitor by plugging into the Intel HD on board graphics to get a third monitor going.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/3-monitor-setup.196949/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello I have an active post in quot other hardware quot Here is my situation Hello all I am new here and so this is my first thread I have peiced computers together in the past but I am by no means a pro or even a talented enthusiest What I am trying to do now is more of an upgrade I with drives Problem RAID bought a computer from ADK in It is a video audio computer and ADK did a great job I would highly reccommend them If I wasn t trying to save some money I would go back to them but I am trying to do this as inexpensively as possible meaning I would like to keep as much as I can from this computer to Problem with RAID drives use Here is what I currently have Antec Titon case with Thermalake w Intel board DP DP PCIe IDE xSATA Glan xUSB xTI Problem with RAID drives firewire Intel Quad Core Q GHz FSB MB Cache Coolmaster Mars - RR-CCX-W U -GP fan Vantec mm Stealth fans - very quiet SuperTalent DDR PC CL pin RAM GBx HD Seagate GB ATA rpm Raid zero array Seagate x Seagate GB x Video XFX nVidia GeForce GTS MB PCIe MHz DVI HDCP PCIe PIONEER DVR B Dual Layer DVD-RW drive Windows XP Pro bit Monitors I want to replace the MB with a Z MB and the CPU with an i K I will need to upgrade the RAM to DDR Preferably GB I want to change the OS to Windows Pro bit Here are my newb questions Will I need to replace my Video card Can I use the same case and fans Can I use the same HDs and the same RAID Array I know nothing about RAID I was hoping to not have to replace anything more than the MB CPU RAM and OS I do want to replace the DVD for a blu ray burner Can anyone spot something I may be missing Here is my current problem now that I have built the PC s The problem is now the ADK PC doesn t recognize the hard drives It sees the SSD drive I have checked the drives with an external SATA harness BlacX box and the drives are not bad but it tells me I need to format them I have music and video I don t can t loose I am afraid to set the bios to disable RAID for fear of loosing files I don t know which drives are RAID I just loaded the drives into the goof-off PC and moved the data from one drive to the other although some files would not move This probably means it is a raid drive and these files are saved across multiple drives Am I right in assuming that these drives are not recognized because of the RAID setup I am trying to save what I can but does this mean I need to re-format these drives Thanks for all the help What do you guys think I don t really understand RAID Does anyone have experience with undoing a raid configuration Thanks Terry nbsp

A:Problem with RAID drives

This article may help: http://www.pcworld.com/article/258960/how_to_undo_raid_best_practices.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-raid-drives.192361/
Relevancy 24.51%

Today I boot my 1 year old computer this message appears:

"Please enter SETUP to recover BIOS setting

Press F1 to run SETUP"

I did the F1 thing, reloaded my OC profile and everything seems fine right now. Anyone knows why this happened? And above all: what are the chances of this happening again on my next cold boot? How to fix?

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz 33 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8P67 (LGA1155) 28 °C
Graphics
E2250 ([email protected])
2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (Gigabyte) 30 °C
1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Elitegroup) 28 °C
ForceWare version: 326.80
SLI Disabled
Hard Drives
932GB Seagate ST310005 24AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 25 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW UH12LS29 SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

A:Press F1 to run SETUP

It could be possible your cmos battery is bad. Beings its a year old. I would think this would not be the case. But you never know how long the manufacter had the battery. Before installing the battery on your motherboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/press-f1-to-run-setup.196470/
Relevancy 26.23%

My computer battery was replaced by a family member and when I boot up my PC which took about 10 minutes instead of 30 seconds. I noticed that the 2 harddrives were displayed in the bios as raid drives. The 2 harddrives are SATA. However in Windows when I right click on My Computer and select Manage then Device Manager they appear as NTFS format.

I sure that this configuration has something to do with response.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to restore my raid drive back to 2 harddrives under NTFS without loosing my data. I would prefer a software tool or a step by step solution since I am not comfortable with manually making changes to computer settings.
Thank you for your advice in advance to this frustrating problem
Regards
Ntracs (Joe)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/converting-raid-harddrives-back-to-ntfs-with-software-tools.196141/
Relevancy 24.08%

Greetings you lovely bunch I am in the process of building myself a new funmachine Unfortunately I have stalled at the sound setup Through extensive research I have established that the following criteria are the most recommendable in order to achieve the best overall sound experience Avoid headsets headphones with microphones Avoid wireless Avoid USB Only stereo headphones I e one speaker per spectacular setup Seeking sound ear Open cup for sound quality I sit in a quiet environment The machine will be used mainly for entertainment purposes being gaming video watching and music listening in order of importance I do not consider myself an audiophile per se I do however value a great atmospheric feeling Seeking spectacular sound setup accurate D positioning and comfort I already plan on getting the Gigabyte GA-Z X-UD H motherboard Will its onboard sound Realtek ALC cover my wishes when paired Seeking spectacular sound setup with some good headphones or should I get a soundcard And what about an amplifier a DAC etc Originally I considered getting the Sennheiser HD as it has garnered much critical acclaim Unfortunately momomo wasn t impressed with its sound stage Despite my highest efforts this leaves me fairly puzzled and in need of your kind help Which sound setup compliments my computer experience the most without being overkill I have a generous budget All response is of course greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Seeking spectacular sound setup

"I already plan on getting the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H motherboard. Will its onboard sound (Realtek ALC898) cover my wishes when paired with some good headphones ? or should I get a soundcard? And what about an amplifier, a DAC etc.?" You won't need a sound card, just headphones or a low cost wired 2 speaker+ powered subwoofer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seeking-spectacular-sound-setup.194793/
Relevancy 24.51%

I have an EVGA GTX 560-Ti graphics card connected to two monitors. The primary monitor is a Syncmaster 2433BW and the second monitor is a Syncmaster 204B. Everything was fine until this morning when I booted up and found the second monitors resolution way off. After entering the NVIDIA control panel I found the monitor simply identified as Digital Display with a very limited resolution table available, the monitor was set to 1024x768. On the control panel resolution screen it is identified as "Generic Non-PNP Monitor with only two resolutions neither of which is the recommended 1600x1200. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver with no improvement.

A:Lost monitor ID in setup

Have u tried This option the Resize? I use this due to my Samsung tv doesnt have really good scaling which I was left to using a random resolution but this random resolution still is read from the tv as 1920x1080 maybe it might work for u

if this doesnt work I havent actualy got which driver did u install nvidia driver or the monitor one? if so this is were u should go
<-this image seems to not be working right click open in new tab

Right click my computer Properties Device manager and rightclick on the monitors and update software

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-monitor-id-in-setup.195406/
Relevancy 27.09%

I am soon building a small server computer and for this computer, I am getting 2 7200rpm drives. I am going to setup raid 1 for these 2 drives so if one fails, I have the other. I have never used any raid arrays before so I was wondering if it was worth getting a raid card supporting raid 1, or should I just stick with software raid. What are the downsides of using both? Thanks to anyone who helps.

A:Is a raid card worth it?

jobeard Will probably know best, but I can offer the little insight I know. RAID cards tend to be expensive, so that is something to take into consideration. Software RAIDs tend to slow down the CPU since the CPU must spend computing power driving the virtual (emulator) RAID array. I would personally avoid RAID, but for reliability purposes especially on servers, it may be worth looking into.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-a-raid-card-worth-it.193182/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hello All I have decided on the following Cooler Master Eisberg L Prestige Alphacool NexXxoS XT Radiator mm And I m deciding on a GPU block at a later date when the new Nvidia cards come out I Setup together Linking Watercooling help was hoping to set it up Watercooling Setup Linking together help as Pump Reservoir is built onto the CPU block which makes this all very easy supposed to anyway and is upgradable so you can add an extra few items to the loop I was hoping to mount the mm radiator it comes with to the top of my case and the extra mm radiator to the back of my case I was hoping having the mm radiator cool the water before it entered the graphics card block would help yield better results and thus the fans can run at a slower speed I m not trying to break any records and certainly don t plan on overclocking a whole much I just find water cooling much quieter in general compared to a multi-fan heatsink and a load of case fans plus the fans on the GPU My question is can this be done I m rubbish at checking the tubing sizes and what I need to actually connect it all up preferably white hose Any advise would be very much appreciated nbsp

A:Watercooling Setup Linking together help

Unless getting this kit for the same amount of money would be better?

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Alphacool-NexXxoS-Cool-Answer-240-LTST-Full-Kit_30211.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/watercooling-setup-linking-together-help.192663/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi all I am going to be buying new HDD s and would setup Raid0 New Here, like to setup a raid on them using New Here, Raid0 setup windows bit I also would like to install a rd SSD for Ubuntu type drive in my optical bay I have no clue as to the proper order for this operation optical replacement first or raid setup first I am not totally new to computers but I have mainly worked with desktops before I do understand my laptop though as I have opened it up for HDD and RAM upgrades and the Optical bay looks pretty simple with only a few screws to remove I need step by step instructions for the raid setup and where to get the drivers for it if windows bit DVD does not have them already The installation of the SSD into the optical bay is no problem nor is installation of the dual Hybrid drives I ll be getting so it s mostly the software setup of things for the raid I was going to enter some links to the gear I would like to get but this site gave me some BS about Kismet So I will leave them out for now Let me know if you need to know the gear to help me here For now my system is the G sx If there is a better bay replacement HDD or SSD that you know and has awesome reviews please let me know I like to buy things on Amazon for the most part as the return process has been excellent for other things before just in case I should point out also that this rig will be gaming mostly with the ssd ubuntu setup for everything else and to play around with Linux for fun Thanks Ahead nbsp

A:New Here, Raid0 setup

HALT, STOP, DESIST;

Rule 1:- never use raid-x for a BOOT device.

Rule 2:- don't assume that Raid-0 is "faster" or that Raid-1 "doesn't require backup"

Rule 3:- Raid is a Server feature, not intended for the home user.

Now then, go read all you can about Raid before you spend $0.10 more.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-here-raid0-setup.192766/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi I m setting up my PC amp stuck between set of options Both of the setups fits within Rs - which is my budget I will be gaming mostly and no multitasking only single threaded applications I want the best cpu clock speed amp overall graphics possible and also which will serve me good for atleast to years My options are AMD FX- MSI A-G AMD Motherboard AMD ATI HD GB GDDR AMD A - K ASUS F A -M-PRO Motherboard ASUS AMD ATI HD GB GDDR CrossFire-ed with the APU help PC Setup Graphics I don t know whether the MSI mobo I mentioned in the st option is the best but it is surely PC Setup help one of the cheapest If there are any other good amp cheap am mobo and or any gfx card that fits in the budget please mention Also if you think that any other combo of these three viz CPU GPU amp Mobo suits my requirements amp budget better PC Setup help please suggest Thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-setup-help.192000/
Relevancy 23.22%

Our internet goes from:

Comcast modem to a
Dlink DIR-655
To computers or through a switchbox to other parts of the house
In the basement, is another switch box, and off that switchbox is,
Belkin 85c Wireless router, that we use as an access point
Works well but it says it has the ability to have a guest login, that will allow visitors to get to the internet, but are blocked from our LAN.

I've spent hours trying to set the guest login up, the access point can be seen by a computer/etc, but when they connect, they cannot get to the internet.

the windows 7 computers try to set up an unidentified public network.

I'm sure there is something very simple I am missing, but I've got close to 20 hours invested in it, and need to protect my network.

the Windows 7 notebook said that it could not connect with a "homegroup".

A:Belkin 85c wireless router, used as an access point. Guest setup?

Hmm; I cant find "Belkin 85c Wireless router" on the Belkin Support site - -
Are you sure of that make/model number?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/belkin-85c-wireless-router-used-as-an-access-point-guest-setup.190913/
Relevancy 27.09%

My in-laws have an older Dell desktop PC running XP and recently are getting a message telling them that one of the drivers in the raid array is bad. It looks like there are 2 drives '0' and '1' and the #1 is the bad drive. They are both the stock 250GB WD hard drives that came with the machine. Do I need to replace it with the exact same drive or will any SATA 250GB work? Let me know if more info is needed. Thanks

A:Bad drive in RAID array

Check the specs of the failed hd (ie make/model) online to verify *IF* yours is hot pluggable - - you should match the specs
of the failed device.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bad-drive-in-raid-array.189956/
Relevancy 24.51%

Purchased a Epson WF-3540 printer for home use. Cannot get my computer to detect the printer on wireless network during software setup. Here is what I have:

1. Computer detects printer with usb cable connected and prints perfectly.
2. Printer detects wireless network and has 3 green bars.
3. Printer passed all its internal network connection checks and everything seems OK on the network status printout.

Installed software on my laptop and it too could not detect the printer on wireless network.

So I'm able to set the printer on my wireless network but can't the computer to detect or recognize it. Any suggestions?

A:Wireless setup

Make sure you connect with ONE or the OTHER but never both.
I suspect you would rather have the wireless connection, so go to devices & printers and delete the USB connected device.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-setup.187949/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi I have a Coolermaster setup the suggestions Fan 922 for HAF HAF case and my computer specs are as follows Asrock N C-S mobo AMD Athlon II X Arctic Cooling Freezer pro GB x GB Corsair Vengeance DDR RAM PowerColor HD GB GPU Coolermaster GX w PSU Running Win Ultimate I also have x HDD s in the case soon to be x HDD s and an SSD Fan setup suggestions for the HAF 922 for the OS when I get time to install it Anyway that s the spec The case had two stock fans- front mm x mm and rear mm x mm The rear case fan wasn t very quiet however so I went ahead and purchased a Sharkoon silent eagle mm This isn t actually as silent as its name suggests but it does seem to create better airflow and it has reduced noise levels slightly What I d like help with is finding an ideal fan setup for my case which will keep it as quiet as possible but also keep it cool I use the computer for gaming using resource-hungry programs like the Adobe suite I know there s going to need to be a compromise and I m fine with that but I think I d prefer it to be more geared towards the silent side rather than performance My questions are Do I need a side or top fan If so what sizes do I need and should they blow air in to the case or suck it out Should the rear fan be sucking air into the case or blowing it out Can I replace the fan on the Arctic Cooling Freezer to a Sharkoon because the freezer fan is the noisiest of the lot What is the actual size of the front case fan I d like to replace this as this isn t very quiet either I m open to any suggestions as I am clueless when it comes to building computers I just know how to use them Thanks Tom nbsp

A:Fan setup suggestions for the HAF 922

Lol, lovely username Tom.

I don't think you're going to get the case as quiet as I know you'd like, but as I've said before, maybe your best option is a fan controller, so you can turn down the noise when your working and then increase the fans for when your gaming to provide additional cooling performance.

If a controller isn't an option, I'd probably pip for Noctua NF-S12B FLX Ultra Quiet 120mm fans (one in top, one in side and one in the rear -- all as exhaust) as 60CFM @ 18dB is about the best you'll get for "silent" fans. Not cheap though, but will last years and years.

Combined with the intake fan at the front of the case and the other three all running as exhaust will cause the case to run negative air pressure, which is exactly how I ran my HAF 912+ -- The downside is the case will get dusty inside faster, but it will suck out heat much faster and run the computer cooler in my experience.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fan-setup-suggestions-for-the-haf-922.186550/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi I would like to know if its ppossible to perfom a raid array on my hp g62 451sa as id like to convert the disc bay for aanother hdd and use raid. does anyone know if it can be done?

A:RAID 0 on laptop, is it possible?

Creative idea, but my guess is that it likely not possible.
This is going to be limited by the motherboard itself (combined with bios options).

Even if the cd/dvd is sata, the two sata ports may not be configurable as raid.
Unless your motherboard intended a raid option, you will be out of luck.

Since there is nothing in your manual about raid (DL the pdf and search)... I take it as confirmed.
BUT... if you want to explore further, see what options are presented in BIOS.
I doubt you will find anything there either.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-0-on-laptop-is-it-possible.186089/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi ive raided 3 drives in jbod ive got a 500gb out of a sky box a 250 western difital that used to be my primary drive and an old 160 gig now the raid array shows up just over 900 gig but in wondows im only getting 850 im not going to bother changing anything now as ive just installed windows but id like to know what the issue is

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-not-capacities.185986/
Relevancy 27.52%

When I install an SATA hard drive and install Windows, do I really need the SATA raid motherboard driver or is that for multiple hard drives?

A:SATA RAID

Generally, the RAID motherboard drivers are for the SATA controller as a whole, both normal operation & RAID. Yes, you will most likely need them to install windows. Hope this helps!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-raid.185565/
Relevancy 39.13%

I have been doing research on purchasing 4-bay+ external RAID enclosure for myself. I have done research on software vs. hardware raids for this system, but one question still eludes me; so I am going to ask it here directly.

If I buy software RAID enclosure I will have to use some included software to set-up my raid. So, if I take my enclosure to another PC and plug it in (let's say eSATA) I will not be able to read the data, correct? If I get true hardware raid, the raid set up will be on the build in controller so I will be able to take the enclosure from computer to computer, right?

And since TS has new poll feature lets try it out...

A:Hardware vs. software RAID on 4-bay+ RAID enclosure

Regardless of whether you use software or hardware RAID, the enclosure will work whatever you plug it into. The only thing that might not work is connecting an individual disk (used as part of the array) into a device. It all depends on whether the device in question can read the controller used for the RAID set up.

For example, I ran with RAID 1 for two 2TB hard drives in my PC, but I can connect one of them to the same device as a non-RAID disk -- which I successfully did when the RAID broke down for an unexplained reason.

However, it is unlikely to work in a computer, and you should approach it as not working at all in anything but the RAID enclosure. It's also worth pointing out that splitting RAID disks in such a way could corrupt the data. Given that pretty much every decent RAID enclosure worth its salt will include gigabit ethernet at the size you're looking for, availability shouldn't be an issue across your LAN.

Hardware-based RAID arrays are also more reliable in operation, and have the extra benefit of being recoverable in a controller failure by replacing it with the same version as before. Software RAID's are less reliable, slower performing and in the event of a controller failure can be difficult to bring back online.

Basically, when it comes to RAID arrays, don't skimp on cost. The better the quality/controllers the more reliable and better performing it will be.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hardware-vs-software-raid-on-4-bay-raid-enclosure.185358/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hey Guys,

I recently got a new laptop with two drives, my 120GB SSD which I boot from, and a 750GB HDD.
Right now I am trying to figure out how to keep crap that I don't want off my SSD as I would like to actually be able to install a few programs on it. I have tried going into the registry and changing "ProgramFilesDir", "ProgramFilesDir (x86)", ProgramW6432Dir", "CommonFilesDir", "CommonFilesDir (x86)", and "CommonW6432Dir" to my HDD with limited success - I cant remember if I rebooted before I tested it out, but I believe I did.

At anyrate, if you have and tips/suggestions for managing my files with multiple drives I would love to hear them!

Thanks,

Matt

A:Multi-drive setup

The single best thing you can do is map the "home" folders over to the mechanical disk. A SSD with 120GB is more than enough for the OS and pretty much all applications, as I currently use a 64GB SSD to do the same thing.

What you want to do is click start, then go to your "home" folder, and you'll see this:

All of your folders can be mapped to another disk, stopping files from building up on your SSD. To change the location of the folder, select a folder, then click the right mouse button, and choose properties.

Click the location tab, and then click move, and select the new location (create the folder on your mechanical disk with the same name e.g. my example is "Desktop," and I have it located on my 2TB mechanical disk.

Here is the folder I've created on my larger disk:

Select the folder, and press "select folder", then click apply, and "yes" when asked if you'd like to move the files in the existing folder to the new location. Repeat for all of your "home" folders.

In future all files will build up in the "home" folders on your mechanical disk, not your SSD.

I have several Adobe CS6 titles, as well as Office 2013, and around 50 other applications all installed on my SSD along with Windows 7 Pro, and I've still got 14.4GB free, so you should have considerably more free space on yours.

Installing applications on the SSD means they can use the increased performance it offers. However, there is little point installing games on the SSD, as the difference it makes is minimal, as the only time it "feels" faster is when loading maps or between turns. Games also use considerably more space than most applications do, so its not a very cost-effective way of utilising the SSD's limited storage.

You can install applications to another disk by changing the install location during setup. I'd advise you either create a separate partition for them if you intend to do so, but also keep to the same format (e.g. create a Program Files and Program Files X86 folders, and install them as required inside there.

As you'll see from the "my computer" image above, I have my games on a separate partition, and data on another (both make up a 1TB disk) which I use as a second location should I need to install storage heavy applications.

It is not recommended to make registry changes or to manually drag and drop "Program File" folders onto the mechanical disk as it can cause all manner of problems. If you want to move them, I recommend you first uninstall the application, then re-install it in the new location.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/multi-drive-setup.184798/
Relevancy 24.51%

im trying to put together a pc from parts I already own, how ever I have problems with understanding compatbility with hardware. perhaps if someone has the time they might be able to help me?

I have an antec nsk4400 case what type of mother board can I use with this
also I have a pair of 1gig (2gigs total) ram that is PC3200 400MHz DDR Desktop DIMMs I would like to add another pair of 2gig PC3200 400MHz DDR Desktop DIMMs for a total of 6gigs so im assuming the mother board has to have 4 slots for ram and also support PC3200 400MHz DDR Desktop DIMMs
I was hoping to find a compatible setup using these components and also would like to add a processor with built in graphics how hard is this to accomplish? if it helps my main goal is to have a decent gaming pc that can run gw2 and league of legends with ease.

A:Barebone setup

also these are the system requirements for both games thanks for anyone who takes the time to help me out

LOL
Minimum System Requirements:
?2 GHz processor
?1 GB RAM (Windows Vista and 7 users will want 2 GB of RAM or more)
?2 GB available hard disk space
?Shader version 2.0 capable video card
?Support for DirectX v9.0c or better
?Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7. (Note: Mac OS and Linux are not currently supported.)
Recommended System Requirements
?3 GHz processor
?2 GB of RAM (Windows Vista and 7 users should use 4 GB of RAM or more.)
?6 GB available hard disk space
?GeForce 8800 or equivalent video card (Dedicated GPU with 512MB+ Video Memory(VRAM))
?Support for DirectX v9.0c or better.
?Windows XP with the latest service pack installed, Windows Vista with the latest service pack installed, or Windows 7 (As stated above: Mac OS and Linux are currently not supported.)
?The latest update to .NET Framework from Microsoft

GW2
Minimum System Requirements Announced
- Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or better
- Intel® Core? 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon? 64 X2 or better
- NVIDIA GeForce 7800, ATI Radeon X1800, Intel HD 3000 or better (257MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)
- 25 GB available HDD space
- Broadband Internet connection
- Keyboard and mouse

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/barebone-setup.184510/
Relevancy 27.09%

A 40TB file server in a RAID 5 configuration, lost two drives simultaneously. One drive is totally dead and the other drive goes in and out of being recognized by the server. We replaced the dead drive and the server started to rebuild over night, however, when we got in this morning the the other drive was showing errors and the rebuild process had slowed way down. When we previously had restarted the machine the drive seems to recover and work fine. My question is, if we restart the server during the rebuild, would the RAID start to rebuild from the beginning or pick up where it left off? Also, does anyone have any other recommendations beside letting it rebuild or restarting?

A:Major RAID rebuilding issues

As long as the RAID is still rebuilding, leave it alone! The last thing you want to do is lose all that data, unless you have one hell of a backup, my advise is leave it alone to rebuild. If it's a production fileserver server, try to get users off of it for as long as possible, don't use it if you can at all help it, let it rebuild - which may not happen until the weekend.
Different RAID cards react differently to a reboot. Most will be just fine if you reboot, they will continue rebuilding - it's a separate process from the OS itself. Think of the RAID rebuild as an automobile with the engine running, but you could change the tire (rebooting windows) while it's running. Now I don't advise it, but it would be ok - it might just be painstakingly slow.
Another thought, as large as that fileserver is, 40TB is HUGE! I'm surprised that it's not configured in a RAID 6 (two drives can fail) or a RAID 10 (striped mirror) - it would have made more sense to have the double parity of RAID 6, or the mirrored advantage of RAID 10. [I'm just putting in my two cents, no offense intended]
Hope this helps, take care!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/major-raid-rebuilding-issues.181525/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi all,

I've got a new machine and am wanting to transfer my two HDDs in RAID config from my old machine in the new one.

OLD PC
Gigabyte P55 UD3R
Samsung HD103SJ 1TB x 2 (RAID)

NEW PC
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H

Is this possible and if so, please can someone advise me on how to swap them.

Thanks,

A:RAID drives into new system?

You can transfer the RAID drives as new ones if you properly configure your BIOS using the motherboard's manual.
But that is not so easy if you have an OS installed on them. But here's an excellent guide.
Good luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-drives-into-new-system.181154/
Relevancy 24.08%

My current video card in my desktop computer is apparently dying I could be wrong but I just haven t been able to figure out what else the problem could be I deleted all drivers and started future buy video card for to and current What setup both over The drivers I had previously were the most current apparently but I reinstalled from a new download I also deleted all Flash and started over and same with Java My display crashes constantly in Firefox and almost always when I try to play a video online Sometimes even when I click on something anything in Firefox bam The screen goes black and the computer is still running IE is not even usable anymore So What video card to buy for both current and future setup I reboot and start over with every crash This has been going on for a couple months I am going to be upgrading almost everything soon I like my old roomy Chieftek Dragon case with lots of fans so I may be able to keep that Below is what I currently have I realize that a video card that will be great for my coming system will not function to its fullest on my current system but if it s just an improvement for now that s fine I don t want to have to buy one now and one later Current system Motherboard - Gigabyte P Titan GA- S FX-L Graphic interface - AGP X X b Current video card - VisionTek ATI Radeon HD put in Memory - GB maxed out Crucial CPU - P CPU Speed - Ghz Power Supply Make Model - Antec Neo HE Watt output Amperage - w ATX V OS - XP Pro up to date Future Intel Core i Ghz already have this and GB RAM What video cards do you recommend for my situation I use this desktop computer mostly as the hub in the home network for graphics photography running Adobe graphics software web design writing and communications home office and general use My laptop is my music recording computer Thanks so much I hope to solve this very quickly nbsp

A:What video card to buy for both current and future setup

Current and Future!

There is no such card.

You currently have an AGP interface and I'm willing to bet your future motherboard will be PCIe.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-video-card-to-buy-for-both-current-and-future-setup.179893/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi Folks I have a Dell Dimension XPS and the System disc is on two WD Sata hard drives in a RAID combination It s pretty good but I wanted to juice it up a little So Is RAID applicable 0 to SSDs? in order to speed things up a bit I have replaced the RAID discs with a single SSD It s a SATA SSD but is obviously going to work only at SATA speed on my current mobo The effect of having the SSD is that everything apart from the Is RAID 0 applicable to SSDs? time taken to load the BIOS of course is now at least twice as fast I e nearly all programs load in or less than previously and other stuff is generally quicker My question is this If I were to buy another SSD and set up a RAID formation with the two SSDs would I see any further increase in performance I have two views and obviously one is wrong In RAID twice as much data will be made available in the same time so yes it should be faster RAID improves performance by eliminating or reducing the seek latency on the second drive but since this is tiny on an Is RAID 0 applicable to SSDs? SSD there won t be much difference Which view is correct please Regards nbsp

A:Is RAID 0 applicable to SSDs?

Is RAID 0 applicable to SSDs?Click to expand...

Of course - - - but WHY?
There will be no real advantage with Raid-0 on a SSD implementation.
An HDD has three timeing factors (move the head, wait for the rotation, transfer the data)
and the SSD only has the latter. The whole advantage of Raid-0 is to not wait for the
first two time - - Q.E.D, not viable on SSD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-raid-0-applicable-to-ssds.178804/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hi everyone, I got a new mobo and cpu yesterday and after installing all the parts I put my old hdd in, after the pc boots I got an error; no hard disk detected. i know the hdd is fine because i put it back in my old build and it booted fine, i know when installing a new mobo you should format which ive been trying to do but when i reach the window where you choose the language theres no mouse or keyboard working, and i know the mouse and keyboard is fine because i used both in the boot menu. my current specs are p8z68-v asus intel i5 2500k nvidia 560ti asus corsair 850watts 8gb ram 500gb hdd ps; sorry for poor grammar and spelling mistakes but was forced to write this on my phone. Also, i looked in my bios and it clearly names both my hdd and blu ray drive.

A:New mobo doesn't detect HDD, no mouse or keyboard control in Windows setup

First, try the basics. Take out the 560 and just install the RAM, CPU, HDD and PSU and see if you can get to BIOS.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-mobo-doesnt-detect-hdd-no-mouse-or-keyboard-control-in-windows-setup.178133/
Relevancy 24.51%

guys my board only supports xfire and I'm currently sporting a gtx 460 I want to go with a xfire setup and have been offered a hf 4890 or I could sell the card and spend £40 more on a hd5770 any ideas as the performance seams pretty similar on both cards

A:I want to go with a Crossfire setup

How important is DX11 to you?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-want-to-go-with-a-crossfire-setup.177806/
Relevancy 27.09%

I understand you would generally need to have the same controller to move a RAID setup and have it recognized, but I want to see if anyone has some advice or any idea about moving a RAID 0 setup from my Crosshair IV (JMicron) to a Gene IV (Intel Platform Controller)

I have 4TB of data on the RAID setup, and 3TB available on my backup drive.

I'm trying to avoid backing things up because it will take 4 days to transfer all that data to the WD elements, and I would still need 1TB more space so I'd have to buy another drive

Help! Thanks!

A:RAID 0 -- from Crosshair IV to Gene IV

I've tried this, spent about 2 weeks researching it with no avail. This is one of those situations that made me look into buying a raid card. In which I did.

GL, Hope you find a solution.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-0-from-crosshair-iv-to-gene-iv.177744/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hey guys. I recently installed my first liquid cooling system. It is currently cooling just the CPU, but I am upgrading so I can liquid cool my two GTX 460s as well. My question is, how? Do I split the incoming water three ways and send one tube to each component (CPU, 460, 460). Or do I go through the CPU, out to the first 460, out to the second 460, to the pump/reservoir, back to the CPU. I ask because I figured the water would be hot coming out of the CPU and it wouldn't make sense to go directly to other parts that need to be cooled. On the other hand, splitting the water 3 ways seems like it would weaken the flow enough that all three parts wouldn't be cooled ver well. So neither system seems quite right. Am I missing something?

A:Help with new water-cooling setup

Don't split the flow three ways, keep it going from one waterblock to the next. If you're concerned about it getting too hot on the CPU, then flowing to the video cards, I'd suggest throwing a second radiator inbetween, usually just a single 120mm, then a 240mm or bigger as the flow leaves the video cards. Another option is to create a second loop, with it's own individual reservoir, pump, and radiator, but that adds more expense.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-new-water-cooling-setup.175704/
Relevancy 27.09%

When building a RAID array, any type, do the discs need to be identical, such as make and model wise, or do only the specs of the drives need to be identical, such capacity, interface, and cache?

A:HDD necessities when building a RAID

Almost anything works, but dissimilary specs will reduce the RAID to the lowest common denominator.

different RPM or r/w speeds
capacity -> lowest
caching? not really effective anyway
so you get a 'better' RAID by matching the specs (vender doesn't matter).

Be advised: Even Microsoft discourages RAID for the boot volume; use it for data only.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-necessities-when-building-a-raid.176645/
Relevancy 27.52%

Over the weekend I reloaded WIn 7 on my pc, before the reload I had 2 drives in a mirrored raid configuration, after reload I know have 2 seperate drives.

I have been into the BIOS and changed RAID settings so that drives are in RAID configuration but now windows cannot recognise boot up device. Obviously the change from a single drive to a raid has confused windows and so it can't find the boot drive.

I am not sure why the raid was not recognised during the software reload, or why I had to go into the BIOS to change raid settings as they were fine before the reload.

My question is can I get my RAID back without reloading my software again?

A:Windows 7 and RAID

Hodsocks said:

My question is can I get my RAID back without reloading my software again?Click to expand...

http://forums.hexus.net/pc-hardware...ut-reinstalling-windows-p35-ich9-ich9r-7.html
https://www.google.com/search?q=can...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-and-raid.176230/
Relevancy 27.09%

With Intel's RST one can have a SSD as a cache to the main hard drive. What I'm wondering is it better to have

two HDin RAID level 0
one HD and one SSD as cache
one main HD and two HD in RAID level 0 for cache (is it possible?)

A:Which is better? RAID 0 or Rapid Storage Technology with SSD

I don't think two HDs in RAID 0 for cache is supported, either way, it's not going to be fast.
A good SSD will beat out the RAID HDDs anyway.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/which-is-better-raid-0-or-rapid-storage-technology-with-ssd.176053/
Relevancy 24.51%

Guys Having an issue with setting up a new router on my PC I simply cannot get onto directly from my PC to configure the router I m running XP Pro and router setup with Problem I currently use the Huawei E dongle for internet access I purchased the Sapido GR- router which will allow me to put the dongle in the USB port amp set it as the WAN access I still have the dongle plugged directly into the PC for Internet access at the moment I initially had issues with setting up an IP address getting the xxx xxx issue but have managed to sort that now via PortForward Static IP amongst other things My problem is when logging onto to set up the router it times out most of the time I can ping which is the built in Intel Pro NIC but when I ping sometimes it times out other times it has no problems and other times it will lose packet However it NEVER gets me to the config area the furthest I ve gotten is to the username password screen When running ipconfig all it currently shows up the following Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Problem with router setup Description Intel Pro NIC Physical Address gives MAC Address DHCP Enabled No IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Server I currently have the TCP IP Properties manually configured as when I had the Obtain IP address automatically clicked it would give me the etc address which I believe is a DHCP issue but am not sure at the moment However as it is also a wireless router I can connect to the router config screen via my iPhone and have set the router to DHCP server but this hasn t helped at all Finally the ethernet cable is brand new and when I plug it in out the Network Connection recognises it so I don t think the cable is the issue and have tried different e net ports in case that was an issue I ve reset the router powered on off disabled firewall etc all to no avail At this stage I m completely flummexed I don t have another PC to try it on in case that is suggested Appreciate amp and all help Will P S I should add that both my G and NIC card IP are both Static IP s nbsp

A:Problem with router setup

Have you tried obtaining IP automatically with your iphone? Does the phone get 192.168.1.x address? If it does, you may have a problem with your NIC.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-router-setup.174993/
Relevancy 23.22%

I just started getting this error today. I thought it was due to some malware I had gotten but the malware forum tech support said everything looks fine. I get this message right as my VPN is about to authenticate. Can anyone help? This is driving me up the wall!

A:Cisco VPN AnyConnect issue: The VPN client was unable to setup IP filtering

What PC hardware are you working with?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cisco-vpn-anyconnect-issue-the-vpn-client-was-unable-to-setup-ip-filtering.174986/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hey all,

Am in a little bit of a pickle here. Had a machine running the Asus A8N SLI Deluxe motherboard. Well as it goes my Southbridge chipset fan died and as a result, my PC dies as well.. My issue is I was running my Hard Disks in a raid configuration (Stripping), but unless I can get a replacement board, or this one fixed (both unlikely). I do not have any idea how to get my data off these disks. Was hoping someone might have a creative way for me to do this, though I think I am just SOL.

Cheers and thanks,

Phil

A:Asus RAID

Broken73 said:

Hey all,

Am in a little bit of a pickle here. Had a machine running the Asus A8N SLI Deluxe motherboard. Well as it goes my Southbridge chipset fan died and as a result, my PC dies as well.. My issue is I was running my Hard Disks in a raid configuration (Stripping), but unless I can get a replacement board, or this one fixed (both unlikely). I do not have any idea how to get my data off these disks. Was hoping someone might have a creative way for me to do this, though I think I am just SOL.

Cheers and thanks,

PhilClick to expand...

You need to plug those drives into another computer with RAID 0 configuration. The configuration must be the same as before or it won't work. You need a motherboard that uses the same RAID ROM as your old motherboard though.Then take the data off the drives.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/asus-raid.175005/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hello I recently added a rd hard drive to my computer so I could put my two existing HDs in RAID and still have a back up drive I cloned my main drive to my new backup drive and did a fresh Windows -bit install on the new RAID array I ve been able to get all my hardware working except for my X-FI 0 sound RAID on fresh No after from install Win7-64 CreativeLabs ExtremeMusic SB soundcard I ve gotten it to work a few brief times but I can t figure out what driver and control panel versions I used to make it work before I just remember it being a long process of searching online before I found an answer that worked for me Is there anyway to find out what versions I have on my backup HD since it has the correct driver and control panel versions on it Here s a description of my actual soundcard problem When I try play something in media player there is no sound the progress bar doesn t move if I watch a youtube video the progress bar moves but I still get no sound and I have no system sound either My on-board audio when enabled works perfectly My on-board audio is disabled in No sound from X-FI after fresh Win7-64 install on RAID 0 the bios the X-FI shows up in device manager and appears to be installed correctly with the latest drivers for win - I get clicks from my speakers when installing the drivers and I have tried completely uninstalling the card and re-installing it as an admin but I still don t get any sound Any and all help is greatly appreciated nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-sound-from-x-fi-after-fresh-win7-64-install-on-raid-0.174259/
Relevancy 26.66%

Just a quick note for anyone interested in using (or is already using) SSD's in RAID 0. It seems that TRIM support for RAID 0 will be implemented in Intel's RST 11.5 driver.

[Source: Storage Review]

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intels-rst-to-allow-trim-support-for-ssds-in-raid-0.173686/
Relevancy 26.23%

I have four OCZ Agility SSD s and want to install them on my new desktop build I also have one Adaptec SGL Raid Card with two connections and will handle up to drives I need help in figuring out the best most efficient way to get these SSD s on my Desktop I ve seen several to enclosures with built in raid switches on the back but the reviews haven t been that enticing First off do I even need the Raid Adaptec adapter Secondly what is the best way to incorporate the ssd s on my AMD FX Desktop Also so I mirror all drives at Raid or use as storage Or include one TB WD HDD for my storage drive Would like to hear the most efficient ways to install my SSD s and possibly include one HDD and what raid settings would be best for each set desktop to RAID 3 way on W7 four 60GB enclosure? install with Agility OCZ Best up ssd s in inch enclosures only or SSD s in two enclosures and the TB HDD as my storage drive What is the best to ssd enclosures to Best way to install four 60GB OCZ Agility 3 on W7 desktop with RAID enclosure? use and are the ones with the raid switch on the back of the enclosures of any benefit Thanks in advance George nbsp

A:Best way to install four 60GB OCZ Agility 3 on W7 desktop with RAID enclosure?

Also I could do two ssd's in one 3.5 enclosure with hdd

I forgot to mension If easier I can also go with only two 60GB SSD's and mirror them in Raid 0 and install one 2TB HDD as my storage drive.
I just need to know the most simple and efficient way to go with all these drives and which Raid to use with each.
Obviously, this is my first build wanting to try SSD's and also my first encounter using Raid! I'm freaking lost and need some experience to guide me through this delima.
The balance of my system is a nine hundred Antec case, Sabertooth 990fx mobo, w1090T AMD processor and I'm also still looking for a aftermarket good cpu cooler for the AMD Black processor.

Thanks
George

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-way-to-install-four-60gb-ocz-agility-3-on-w7-desktop-with-raid-enclosure.173653/
Relevancy 26.23%

There was a previous thread on this, but none which I found pertaining to Windows 7.

Can anybody point me in the right direction to do this?

Possibly without having to use the Win7 installation CD...

A:Changing hard drives from IDE to SATA With a RAID configuration in Windows 7

Can you supply us with the full scenario please?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-hard-drives-from-ide-to-sata-with-a-raid-configuration-in-windows-7.172531/
Relevancy 51.6%

It comes a time when you get bored by the usual computer set up (Primary HDD for OS and Backup HDD for all your media).......

Currently I have some unused hard drives lying around so I decided to have some fun.......unfortunately, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT SETTING UP RAID CONFIGURATIONS......so please start from the basics

1. What hardware do I need?
2. How do I set it up?
3. How do I test?
4. .....Just random but is it worth it? Pros and Cons

Feel free to recommend hardware, I might do some shopping!
Thnx in advance.

A:What do you need to setup a RAID configuration?

1. You need a motherboard with RAID capability or add-on RAID controller
2. I suggest you Google for types of RAID Arrays, and Data redundancy
3. The RAID controller will do this for you. You will have to reload the operating system if you change or add a RAID array drive if you don't use an array with data redundancy.

I have a stripped RAID array with no data redundancy. This is for maximum data access speed. It is made up of 3 500GB drives, giving me 1.36TB single drive. You think it would be 1.5TB, but because of "overhead" the total usable space is 1.36TB. I have a 4th 500GB drive for back up that's not part of the RAID array

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-do-you-need-to-setup-a-raid-configuration.172268/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hey there,

Basically I am having stability issues, so I would like to update my SSD's firmware and reinstall my OS to hopefully stop the constant barrage of instability, bluescreens and driver issues.

I run a Corsair 120GB Force 3 for my OS, and the rest of my music, videos, pictures are on the 2x 2TB arrays. The important stuff is backed up on an external 3TB drive.

In order to run a firmware update I need the SSD to be in ACHI. IDE does not work. So I'm going to have to remove one of my arrays so I can use one of the ACHI ports and update the firmware and wipe the drive.

When I move the SSD back to port 5 can I restore my RAID 0 array with all my files afterwards?

A:RAID-0 restoration

Can you not update firmware without the wipe?? If not, backup your SSD to your external using image backup software such as Acronis. Make sure to create a rescue/boot cd. Make sure your boot cd will "see" the SSD before doing all of this. Upgrade firmware on the SSD. restore the image from your external using the boot cd to the SSD. After you restore image and before you reboot shut down the machine, plug your RAID arrays back in, power everything back and you should be good to go.. If you are worried about losing data on your RAID's, backup these as well using the same software. You can restore from the OS as opposed to the boot cd.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-0-restoration.172028/
Relevancy 24.51%

i have a server, a monitor, a laptop, cables and connectors and a copy of microsoft server 2008. can someone help me or guide me where to look to learn how to connect all of this together and set up the old laptop for a new user?

thank you,
tnb1415

A:Networking setup

Windows Server 2008 Step-by-Step Guides For Microsoft
Windows Server 2008 Tutorial from infotechGuyz.com
networking Articles & Tutorials for Windows Server 2008 from windowsnetworking.com

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/networking-setup.171835/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hello: I have a Fantom 2tb external usb drive (MDC2000) made up of two 1tb drives in a radid 0 configuration. When they powerup which the blue light turns on but the drives will not spin. The drives when removed from the case will each spin using another external usb box. Any thoughts?

A:Fantom 2TB USB external drive configured with RAID 0 cannot power up

"Any thoughts?"...
Yes the MDC2000's power supply has failed, blue lights or no blue lights

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fantom-2tb-usb-external-drive-configured-with-raid-0-cannot-power-up.171547/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hello there,

my friend wants a new PSU for his system. His specs are the same as mine (we both had the same PC built), but his system has a 9800GT 512MB. He will be considering to buy a GTX 560 Ti in the near future.

Which PSU will be better for this setup? Is the AX 650 worth the extra cash?

Thanks in advance

A:HX650 or AX650 -- which is better for this setup?

The HX series is built by Channel Well which I am not a big fan of. Channel Well built the infamous Antec Smart Power 2.0 series a few years ago, the failure rate was so high that Antec subsequently stopped using Channel Well as an OEM, although Channel Well has improved in quality and they no longer use highly failure prone caps they are still not on my list of preferred OEMs. The AX series is built by Seasonic which is one of the best OEMs of power supplies making it the better of the two. If you don't need the gold efficiency rating of the AX want a cheaper unit I would go with the Seasonic built Corsair TX series, The Delta Built Antec EA-750, High Current Gamer/ High Current Pro series (HCP-750 is gold certified and cheaper than the AX650), or the Seasonic X-series. Seasonic and Delta are among the best OEMs of power supplies around so any unit built by either one is a good bet.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hx650-or-ax650-which-is-better-for-this-setup.171542/
Relevancy 23.22%

I recently bought a video card and installed it into my computer However every time I try to install the software I get this card - video error installation driver display standard with VGA Setup message Setup was unable to complete the installation Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup Click to expand I m completely confused because I m using a standard VGA driver Windows automatically installed it after I disabled my integrated graphics I can t figure this problem out and get the video card to work on my computer so any tips would be hugely appreciated Video Card Info Video card Visiontek Radeon Video Card MB PCI w DVI Setup display with standard VGA driver - video card installation error TV-OUT from TigerDirect ca tigerdirect com applications SearchTools item-details asp EdpNo amp CatId Software VisionTek Radeon ATI System Info Windows Manufacturer Acer Processor AMD Athlon tm Processor LE- GHz Installed memory RAM GB MB usable System type -bit Operating System Screenshots Installation error message i photobucket com albums g wandering alice Computer atiproblem jpg Device manager i photobucket com albums g wandering alice Computer Devicemanager- jpg nbsp

A:Setup display with standard VGA driver - video card installation error

You went into your BIOS and disabled the integrated graphics? Um you might try a free program like Driver Sweeper to remove whatever remains of the old video drivers. For some reason the new video driver installer does not see your new video card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setup-display-with-standard-vga-driver-video-card-installation-error.170188/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have a T1 backbone connected to a Linksys wireless 4 port N router running 2 hubs and 1 websmart POE switch. I need to bring in another network on the same T1 backbone, keeping it separated from my current network with it's own DHCP router. I'm thinking I need to go from the T1 to a hub uplink port, then out to the ethernet port on both routers. Keeping the current setting on #1 router 192.168.1.1 and assigning an IP to the #2 Linksys router 192.168.2.1. I'm not sure if this will work, but it seems right, right?

A:How do I connect T1 to two DHCP routers, setup two networks

Thanks Rick

Thanks for your input Rick.
Currently I do have the T1 in the WAN port of my Linksys wireless router. This is my network DHCP server and has been working great. We have a school moving into my church building and I'm trying to provide them with their own LAN and internet. I'm not going to spend the cash for VLAN stuff, not cost effective. So I guess I'll just have to give them a router with static IP routing and their IT guy will have to assign IP's to each of their machines. My Linksys router is managing about 20 user stations and 5/8 wireless each day. This leaves me about 20 IP avail for my network. I could easly manage the school's needs without another DHCP router, but I don't want them to see my shared folders on my network. The static solution is the only one I can think of. Plus I don't want to use up my IP's.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-connect-t1-to-two-dhcp-routers-setup-two-networks.169932/
Relevancy 23.22%

Heres my problem , so my computer dvd and cd drives failed i kept getting mssg select boot device and reboot. then i used a cd drive fromanother computer connected it with xp windows cd and now im getting error in setup"setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer" please help this computer used to work fine before and was xp before..thankyou in advance!

A:Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer

Check you bios settings if it is detecting your HDD.

/edit/

Check also the jumper settings of the CD drive

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives-installed-in-your-computer.169834/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello all I ve got a couple more disks on order now and plan to RAID identical Samsung TB Spinpoint F s in RAID Mirror rather than continually worry about data backups But having been looking at my options I m not sure if a more secure idea would be RAID Having had a clean up on the disk I m now using about GB of its capacity and its mainly documents pictures home regarding up RAID I'm after of it a and advice bit please setting movies and other stuff I do not want to risk losing due to disk failure Currently I m only backing up the most sentimental of files onto DVD D L s and its costing me a fortune in discs haha My new build will be using a Asus M A L LE AM motherboard with x SATA II ports My motherboard manual states my motherboard supports I'm after a bit of advice regarding RAID and setting it up please RAID and JBOD I have the following disks to use x GB Kingston SSD for Windows x TB Samsung Spinpoint F to use as a data disk for software installs and games in W x TB Samsung Spinpoint F for documents pictures data etc x WD Blue GB For Linux - Will be replacing with a SSD shortly x SATA DVD R W drive The user manual suggests I should install and use the web browser control panel for managing my RAID devices just the x Spinpoint F s but I m not sure its necessary So I have a few questions I need clarification on please Is the AMD RAIDxpert utility that runs in the web browser really neccessary or a good idea to use I plan to install my OS s to non-RAID SSD s W and linux on sep disks so do I still need to set the SATA controller in BIOS to RAID Will the on-board RAID function on my new motherboard actually be a good idea or is a dedicated RAID card wiser I plan to use the two RAID disks as NTFS so I can access them in Linux and W I presume this will work fine given that they re RAID Is there anything I need to be aware of given that I m new to RAID devices I presume all of my data will need moving to another disk in order to setup RAID and initialise it Just to clarify the x Spinpoint F s will be the only RAID disks and are purely for storage and not for either OS installation or any software they would need to have installed If it is recommended I use a RAID card I have spare PCI and PCI-Ex x slots but would appreciate recommendations that don t cost an absolute fortune as I wouldn t know what to choose if I m honest Thanks in advice guys and girls Leeky P S I ve uploaded the AMD RAIDxpert user manual here PDF in case anyone needs to read it nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/im-after-a-bit-of-advice-regarding-raid-and-setting-it-up-please.168909/
Relevancy 26.23%

Let's say that I want to buy this 8-bay RAID enclosure and load it with 4x 2TB drives running in RAID 5. In few years (or months) the 6TB (or so) effective RAID 5 will be full and I will need more space. Will I be able to buy another 2TB drive, add it to the enclosure and tell it to "expand" the current raid 5 to include the new drive? Or will I have to transfer all 6TB out and re-do the raid form ground up?

Thanks

A:Can I add drives to existing RAID without redoing the entire thing?

Depends on the RAID controller but the answer with hardware controllers is typically yes. I don't know anything about the bay you linked or what kind of controller it contains, but based on the price I'd be leary. A stand-alone 8 drive hardware controller usually starts around $400... and that's just for the controller.

After closer inspection I see it's software based RAID. I haven't done this type of RAID in years so I'm not sure sure what kind of advancements have been made here. I do know that I avoid doing software based at all costs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-add-drives-to-existing-raid-without-redoing-the-entire-thing.168662/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi y'all

I got a Intel Server Board L440GX with the dual Pentium III processors and i cant get it to recognize the Mylex eXtreme RAID 2000 FW 7.01-00. I have never configured a raid before but i think i got it right(not sure) anyway the bios says that no h.d. or likewise is installed. I ain't got any ideas on what to do please help

A:Intel server board L440GX RAID issues

bwta, sound like you better take a look at:
http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/l440gx/AcceleRAID1_0.pdf

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intel-server-board-l440gx-raid-issues.168173/
Relevancy 24.08%

I was curious if The Enthusiast's PC was the best setup that can be built for under $2k This includes All hardware and Software. (multiple monitors is a + also)

Strong emphasis on DirectX 11 games and Battlefield 3.

any takers to the challenge?

A:Gaming setup full package for under $2k?

syde said:

I was curious if The Enthusiast's PC was the best setup that can be built for under $2k This includes All hardware and Software. (multiple monitors is a + also)

Strong emphasis on DirectX 11 games and Battlefield 3.

any takers to the challenge?Click to expand...

at this point being this close to a new line of CPU's, the possible performance increase, and the effect on pricing from both sides, I would wait until sept if you can. You might benefit from it greatly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gaming-setup-full-package-for-under-2k.168107/
Relevancy 27.52%

hi guys
i am going to upgrade my mobo and cpu
the msi p67a-gd80 is up for just $114 on newegg
the problem is that all its sata port are from the p67 chipset
and i have a couple of samsung f3s in raid o..... i'll also buy a sata3 ssd

now can i run my hdds(sata 2) in raid o and my ssd(sata 3) in ahci on the same p67 controller.....
please do reply

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-confusion-on-p67.167642/
Relevancy 24.51%

I am about to build a custom PC for the first time and although I know enough about the subject, I'd like to ask you experts for your opinion.

MoBo: MSI P67A-GD53 (B3)
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K
RAM: Crosair CMV4GX3M1A1333C9 DDR3 4GB 1333 MHz

Just wanted to make sure those would all support each other. The rest (videocard (geForce 240 GT), hdd etc) I already have from my old setup.

Thanks in advance

A:Is this a good custom setup?

they look good to me but imo i would go with 1600 mhz ram.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-this-a-good-custom-setup.167566/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hey guys Long story short one of the HD s in my RAID array was being reported as failing Intel Matrix Storage Manager gave me a message inside of windows and on boot the RAID controller said the disk was failing as well So I went disk lose 0 RAID not data trying to failing, and got another HD of equal size The old HD is WD KS and the new one is WD JS so theyre pretty much identical I booted up with only the new and old drives in my PC into Ubuntu Live CD got the ddrescue package and cloned my HD Now I reconnected all my old drives where they were replacing the old failing one with the new cloned one RAID 0 disk failing, trying not to lose data At boot the RAID Manager gives me Unknown Member for the new drive and the nd drive in the array is marked Member Offline What to do I fear that if I remove the drives from the array and create a new one Ill loose all the data Im stuck Help nbsp

A:RAID 0 disk failing, trying not to lose data

Hi, I'm no expert on RAID set ups but found this guide below which may help. It describes the process you have used but there may be some important parts of the process that you missed, notably that you have not used an identical drive to clone to and the disconnection of the drive from the array before cloning.

This information came from here where there are a few other posts that may be usefull.

http://ask.metafilter.com/66389/how-to-clone-failing-disk-in-RAID-0-array

Any number of drive cloning tools exist that will make exact sector copies. Acronis True Image or Symantec Ghost are often used by Windows users, but many freeware options exist in the UNIX world, such as dd command line tool, which you can run off a bootable Ubuntu or Knoppix CD. You make a bootable disk or CD, disconnect your failing drive from the RAID array, and put it on one channel of a basic IDE or SATA disk controller (pull your RAID controller if its not motherboard based - if it is, you'll have to break the RAID in BIOS, after powering down and disconnecting drives). Plug in a second drive on that same controller, and boot off the bootable media you made that contains the clone tool. Use the clone tool to clone. Substitute the clone drive in the RAID array.

For this to work however, you have to use identical models of drives, and your RAID controller needs not to have put drive markers in the MBR of the drives that have been computed from interrogating drive firmware. Some controllers are easy to fool, and others, with better security awareness, are very tough to fool.

RAID 0 as your primary storage is no way to run a PC, as PC grade hardware is nowhere near reliable enough to do this without recurring trouble. And RAID, even RAID 5 or 6, is no substitute for backing up.Click to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-0-disk-failing-trying-not-to-lose-data.167083/
Relevancy 23.65%

Anyone tried a 5000/6000 series Radeon for video, HDCP, etc., along with FireMV low-end 2D multi-monitor display cards?

I'm trying to build a dual-use system where a couple of the monitor can be driven by a Radeon capable of transcoding, Blu-Ray, HDCP, etc. and the others are just low-wattage DisplayPort 2D cards for financial screens.

Can they co-exist in the same system, assuming the correct drivers are installed to each, etc.?

I don't need or want the power consumption or dual-slot use for 6 2D displays, nor do they have to do any digital "heavy lifting", but I don't mind, and sort of need, if possible, a modest 4000/5000/6000 Radeon card for a couple of the monitors.

Odd, I know, but has anyone tried anything approaching this?

Thanks.

A:ATI HD5000 or HD6000 & FireMV multi-monitor setup - can you?

Any HD4000 series card or above is capable of displaying two screens, either mirrored, or extended across two displays.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ati-hd5000-or-hd6000-firemv-multi-monitor-setup-can-you.166439/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi.
My name is Wayne. I'm not a professional with computers. I'm 59 years old, and just got my first computer 3 years ago. I recently grabbed a laptop just before it was to be tossed in the dumpster at my job. It's a Compaq Presario 1266. It's old. It has Windows 98 on it. I'm trying to install Windows XP Pro. It will go as far as the starting windows screen, blue screen. It will not go to the welcome to windows setup screen so that I can delete the windows 98. My first question. Is this old, I think it's a notebook, not laptop, worht all the effort? If so, how can I resolve this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to learn more about how to do these things. I can barely attach files in an email. Thank you.

A:Can't get to Windows setup screen when installing XP Pro

Yup, this is an old system. Unless it has been upgraded with more memory it will not run XP.

The specs show 32MB or RAM (XP needs a minimum of 64MB)
A 333MHz CPU and a 4GB or optional 6.4GB hard drive.

Even if you get this going it will be very, very slow by modern day standards. Windows 98 is probably the best system to have on it.

Worth the effort, I doubt it, but depends what you want to use it for and if you don't want to do anything in a hurry.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-get-to-windows-setup-screen-when-installing-xp-pro.166421/
Relevancy 24.51%

Done loads of research and ive finally bought a gaming pc. This cost me £800.

Heres it is..

MSI GeForce GTX 570 OC Twin FrozR III Power Edition 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Bloomfield) (Socket LGA1366) - Retail with FREE Shogun 2 Game

Asus P6X58D-E Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard

Cooler Master CM690-II Lite Dominator Case & GX 750W Power Supply

G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM)

Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD103UJ)

LG GH22NS50 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM

Im hoping to play most games on high end performance and id like to be apple to play battlefield on relitivly high graphics.

Tell me what you think, thanks!

A:Is this a good gaming PC setup?

It should work nicely for you... I don't care for anything CoolerMaster or Asus but many here do. Good luck with the setup... Check out my specs

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-this-a-good-gaming-pc-setup.166310/
Relevancy 24.08%

Background: Built a different system with new M/B, CPU, and case (Win7). Transferred GeForce 7300 video card over and put in new PCi-e bus....NO video, even with embedded video disabled and bios set for it....the only video I can get is using embedded ATI Radeon 4200.

However, I have loaded and reloaded drivers for the Radeon and for the monitor (Samsung T220). Device manager shows monitor and display adapter to be correct. But when I try to set display resolution in control panel, the monitor native display resolution of 1650 X 1080 is not available, and the monitor just shows "VGA". Closest I can get is 1600 X 1200. So, I am stuck having to use only the embedded video and a resolution that my monitor doesn't exactly like.......ANY HELP APPRECIATED! I am not a gamer, but use this for a lot of Photoshop CS5 work.

p.s. I have an Radeon 5670 on order....will this even work?

A:Help with monitor resolution/setup after upgrade?

Hi, I always get the same problem with my onboard graphics card on windows 7, I personally install the right drivers and it works, but sometimes it fails so i use the closest like what you have there and i apply i don't click ok, so that if it doesn't work, it will bring me back to that screen in 15secs.
However now that you are going to get the new Radeon 5670, that will solve the equation.
If u still want to use you old card, then you have to get new versions of the drivers or you may have to install them manually.
Hope that helps

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-monitor-resolution-setup-after-upgrade.166149/
Relevancy 27.09%

Here's a problem that's fairly simple to explain.

I have a laptop with two HDD's in RAID-0 configuration. The motherboard died, and I want to back up the data before I send it to the manufacturer for repair.

Is there a way to do this, or is it impossible?

A:Getting data off HDD's configured in RAID-0

Raid-0 is a big risk as far as data loss goes, if one drive fails you loose everything. After the motherboard is replaced the system should continue to run from the drives you have without any data being lost. You could simply remove both of the drives before you send it for repair.

As far as I know, any back up software will see this Raid setup as one single drive so even if you create a back up you will not be able to restore it to the Raid set up, it will have to go onto one single drive.

To take a back up of the drives you would need to connect them both to another PC and use software like Acronis True Image. I must add that this is only a "may be" as I am not sure if this will work with a RAID-0 configuration when the drives are hooked up to another PC.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/getting-data-off-hdds-configured-in-raid-0.165732/
Relevancy 23.22%

My acer laptop has been like this for awhile since i paid for it to be fixed,when im doing a letter for example and i turn on the CAPS LOCK button it goes into caps ok,but i have to press the BUTTON UNDERNEATH CAPS LOCK CALLED SHIFT TO GET CAPS LOCK TO TURN OFF!!!

does anyone know how i get it back to factory keyboard settings?just a simple caps on and off button would be nice today lol!
cheers.

A:Acer Aspire 5315 keyboard setup, capslock problem

The keyboard may be defective

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/acer-aspire-5315-keyboard-setup-capslock-problem.164818/
Relevancy 27.09%

I have two Intel X -M solid state disks GB that I want to stripe and use as my OS drive I have the Asus P T motherboard with ICH R and support for RAID and My problem is I need to clone my OS partition with True Image and copy the volume to the striped drives Here s the catch my OS is already on one of the X s and I will need to use an X -V as a temp boot drive in order to stripe the two drives and still RAID w/ configuration 0 SSDs setting Help be able to use Windows for cloning I also have or other SATA drives that I do NOT want to be configured in RAID So I guess my question is will the striped SSD s take the cloned partition or will I Help setting RAID 0 configuration w/ SSDs encounter issues coming from a single drive I don t have a ton of experience with RAID but I haven t had any problems either but I want to play it safe Any help would be helpful I m sure there is someone on here with much more knowledge on this matter Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Help setting RAID 0 configuration w/ SSDs

EXCellR8 said:

I have two Intel X25-M solid state disks (80GB) that I want to stripe and use as my OS drive.Click to expand...

DON'T - - Even Microsoft does not like that option - - the boot drive should not be Raid-X says MS.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-setting-raid-0-configuration-w-ssds.163523/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello First of all system DxDiag ------------------ System Information ------------------ Time of this report Machine name XXXXXXXXXXX Operating System Windows Server Standard Build Service Pack vistasp gdr - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer Dell Inc System Model PowerEdge SC BIOS Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version Processor Intel R Pentium R D CPU GHz CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C Windows DirectX Version DirectX DX Setup Parameters Not found DxDiag Version bit Unicode -------------- System Devices -------------- Name JMicron JMB X Controller Device ID PCI VEN B amp DEV amp SUBSYS B amp REV amp DB AC amp amp E Driver C Windows system DRIVERS jraid sys English bytes The JMB X Controller is for the not Server 2008 RAID recognizing RC- Raid Sata II ATA PCIe Card This is what happens has happened We installed the raid card and two additional tb sata II drives We booted up and created a raid using mirror- through the bios raid panel We go in and install the Server 2008 not recognizing RAID necessary drivers that are all up to date according to online provided cd We then move on to the program that controls the raid which Server 2008 not recognizing RAID is the JMB X software and it confirms we Server 2008 not recognizing RAID have a RAID named quot RAID quot that has drives of equal value in size that are mirroring each other Now here comes the problem It does not show up in our disk management Also we ve noticed that under the quot Other Devices quot tab in Device Manager the quot Raid SCSI Disk Drive quot actually shows up We ve checked the compatibility of the card and we do know that it does not specifically support Server That doesn t seem to be the main problem though we ve used this card on other Win k servers and have had no problems Different Machines though not Dell In my opinion it might have something to do with the Dell Bios but I m not positive on that Possibly upgrading the bios will fix this problem but that would require taking down the server and we cannot do that until the weekends Thoughts Thanks Phil nbsp

A:Server 2008 not recognizing RAID

Would appreciate any input on this subject matter. We're still trying to figure it out before having to order a new raid card and scrubbing this one. Thanks!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/server-2008-not-recognizing-raid.162465/
Relevancy 27.09%

I believe I am talking about quot fake quot raid here To the point I am building a file server using FreeNAS with a PC thats over a few years old I d say around - years RAID best PCIe, option? PCI and cards, wanting to set up a RAID function with this I ve learned after a bit of reading that there are such things as fake raid where the processor actually handle where the data goes and this is fine as these RAID cards, PCI and PCIe, best option? also seem to be much cheaper I m using a bit older mobo can post model later upon request that has SATA ports for RAID or I am considering getting a card to support up to HDDs Here are options I ve been looking at Syba PCI Express SATA II x Ports RAID Controller Card SY-PEX Adaptec RAID SA - Storage controller RAID - Channel - SATA- low profile - MBps - RAID JBOD - PCI Express x SYBA SY-PCI PCI Low Profile SATA II Gb s Controller Card Adaptec -R SA PCI Express X -Port SATA GBS Low-profile Host RAID Controller Now I realize Amazon com doesnt give good descriptions Also is there a RAID function build into FreeNAS I cannot seem to get window shares to work with that so I still need to work that out using nbsp

A:RAID cards, PCI and PCIe, best option?

Here are options I've been looking at.

Syba PCI Express SATA II 4 x Ports RAID Controller Card SY-PEX40008

Adaptec RAID 1430SA - Storage controller (RAID) - 4 Channel - SATA-300 low profile - 300 MBps - RAID 0, 1, 10, JBOD - PCI Express x4

SYBA SY-PCI40026 PCI Low Profile SATA II (3.0Gb/s) Controller Card

Adaptec 2240900-R 1430SA PCI Express X4 4-Port SATA 3GBS Low-profile Host RAID ControllerClick to expand...

Adaptec has been the leader for decades and using the CARD avoids the 'fake-raid' software implementation. One big advantage is the card completes the operation without the assistance of the CPU.

Once you opt for the raid-controller card, you (imo) really ought to go with
SCSI attached devices which give you hotplug support and dynamic raid recovery.[x]

Be carefull: Even Microsoft does not recommend attempting to boot from a Raid.
Raid is a server function to avoid a single point of failure, and even with Raid-1 or Raid-10, you still need a backup system.

[x]The NAS Raid-x is frequently SCSI internally for these reasons

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-cards-pci-and-pcie-best-option.163319/
Relevancy 27.09%

I replaced the Perc5 Batt and from a previous call to DELL, I was told the RAID controller needed to be reset after disconnecting the 4 drives and restarting.

Anyone know the proper procedure? I'm told the 00 drive can restore the controller when it is reconnected again. True?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise. As someone who makes a living by the hour, I appreciate you spending some of your valuable time with me.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/know-how-to-reset-raid-bios-in-dell-840-pe.163021/
Relevancy 23.65%

My topology is as in the attachment. I cannot understand what I am doing wrong.

I am wanting the network to be setup to where my 2 machines (that are wired to the router, and multihomed, the second port with a 1gb NIC using crossover to each machine for file transfers. Any time I have it set up, it either refuses to connect to the internet (using various commands I found that it is because I had a default gateway set to the 1gb NIC with the crossover, and it was choosing to use it for internet access) or the two machines refuse to even ping one another (without a gateway).

I've tried under different subnets (eg, 192.168.10.1/2 with subnet 255.255.255.0 and I've tried 10.18.1.1/2 with subnet 255.0.0.0) and neither work, bot have the same problems. I have Homegroups disabled, file and print sharing set with accounts.

Windows 7 Professional on each machine, Linksys BEFVP41 router.

What am I missing??

Thanks for reading.

A:Help with simple setup - two multihomed PC's, one router, one patch cable

I think your problem is using the crossover. AFAIK, you are supposed to use the regular CAT5E/CAT6 cable in order to connect to the internet, and as well hooking the rest network to the internet.

I assumed that your modem has more than one ports for hooking up your network, so use that, it's there for the reasons, or you could buy the used/new router to hook up the rest of your computers on a network.
This simple topology on network should be at:

COMPUTER 1----\..............................................................................................
...........................|======= ROUTER / MODEM =============== INTERNET
COMPUTER 2----/..........(DHCP/ STATIC IP from ISP).................( ISP provided IP)

The " === " is translated as cable connection between devices and computers.
Good way of using your network efficiently is to research info between the network router and ISP. ( Assigned IP at www.whatsmyip.org; Router IP ( check manual); and assigned router IP for your computers. )
Hope I helped.
Edited: I just realized that you set Computer 1 as assigned IP while the computer 2 has DHCP enabled. I think you need to set both computer as your router address, and then set the IP to be assigned from Router to your computer's DHCP.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-simple-setup-two-multihomed-pcs-one-router-one-patch-cable.162879/
Relevancy 24.51%

I posted an hour ago about a problem I had trying to run GB k ultra drives in one of my personal computers with a mb controller a pci-x which I had connected to a PCI slot and had problems so that is out of the system until I get some answers and help problems not from the pci-x being in the PCI but - i don t know yet Anyway I am a hardcore media junkie including automation with speed I have a U case perfect setup to fit the drives in it however the k drives will only hold mb however the media is on my external drives all of them are maxed a bit over TB so building the U drives for a media box not so great or can it be tell me some ideas so I can build I am media setup? for a SCSI stuck right now not knowing what to do The speed will be fast much much faster then the fastest ide sata hdd even running at half the performance not being used for server related just personal home nbsp

A:SCSI for a media setup?

What are you actually asking for help with?

I don't see the point in 4 296MB hard disks - You might as well bin them! They might sound good, but anything that old, with that capacity is going to be slower than a brand new SATA2/3 hard disk. The speed of new disks will come from the bandwidth of the interface, which will be severely reduced on anything as old as the 296MB hard disk.

A mechanical hard disk with 7,200RPM spindle speed in a homeserver is more than adequate alongside gigabit ethernet at running HD with bandwidth to spare. 10K disks, or SSDs are totally unneeded, and would be pointless in your case anyway, as your external hard disks are going to be throttled by the USB connections they're connecting to the computer with, not the speed of the network (assuming gigabit).

A 1TB hard disk sits around £30-40 these days (probably the same money in Dollars), so no need to be looking elsewhere at faster stuff.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/scsi-for-a-media-setup.162594/
Relevancy 24.51%

Question No longer needed.

A:Help me setup my 4 Port KVM,

2 monitors, 4 would be preferable since I bought 4 of the same lcd monitor for this reason... I just bought my black box video card with 4 DVI outputs, all about quad cards now!

please list what I need.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-me-setup-my-4-port-kvm.162641/
Relevancy 24.08%

western digital 64 mb cache 1.5 tb 7200 rpm
nvidia evga gtx460 se
SL9ap/pentium d 3.6 4mb/cache
ddr3 xms3 1333 99924 2 sticks 4g
biostar tp45e combo mobo
5 things plugged into usb

coolmax 700w cu-700b (possibly a piece of **** because i believe its been making my computer randomly crash for the 3 months)

A:What power supply does my setup require?

Hi Freeze,
A good quality 450w-500w will suffice for your system. I use a lot of the Corsair HX series in my customer builds and have no problems. Silverstone , FSP, and Seasonic are excellent as well. and good investments to be carried into the next build.
My 2 cents worth

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-power-supply-does-my-setup-require.162324/
Relevancy 23.65%

I just recently tried my hand at building my own pc and im not getting a first boot screen and well im pretty sure the motherboard is getting power since the cpu fan is spinning and everything of that nature. But no bios setup screen and i didnt think my cpu was fried or damage but when i lifted it out of the motherboard theres three pins that are blue on the top left of the cpu could this mean that my processor is bad i dont have a spare to test right now just wondered if anyone had any ideas what might be going on.

This is what i got

Gigabyte GA-H67M-D2 Mobo
Intel i5 2300 2.8ghz
Kingston 2gb Ram x2 KHX1600C9D3B1K2/4GX
Sparkle ATX 500W PSU

It came together in a kit so i assumed everything was compatible if anyone can help me id appreciate it

A:Not getting BIOS setup screen, 3 pins on processor blue

I'll assume the 3 pins are in the corner indicating the orientation of the CPU. Start out simple and take the mobo out of the case and put in on some cardboard and try to power it with just ram, cpu, and cpu cooler attached. If you get a screen, you should be ok.

if your pins are "burnt" then yeah, that's bad - you got a short.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/not-getting-bios-setup-screen-3-pins-on-processor-blue.160812/
Relevancy 27.52%

I have an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO board which had 2 drives setup in RAID1, I replaced one of the drives after a failure but can't seem to rebuild the RAID. The raid software shows one drive as RAID LD-1 and the other as a single drive, both drives are 320GB SATA drives from western digital. I can't seem to find a way of rebuilding the RAID.
If I delete the existing RAID and setup a new one will I lose all the data on the original RAID disc?

A:RAID 1 rebuild

yes. The raid should resync on the new mirror upon rebooting

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-1-rebuild.161626/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hey everyone Yesterday I built in problems 0 set RAID a watercooling system into my computer Everything went smooth up until the point when I booted my PC and it RAID 0 set problems didn t recognise my RAID Set Anymore The Raid controller sometimes only recogniced one disk on other times it did recognise the HDDs but said quot Invalid Logical Drive quot Well after trying a few times I remembered that I maybe have to Plug in the HDDs in the same Ports as before I built in the watercooling system So I plugged them back in the same way Now the Raid controller does recognise the Disks and the Raid Set But the RAID controller says the logical drive has a size of GB where the two disks have GB I tryed booting from the RAID but after POST the computer just doesn t continue with loading windows but just hangs there blinking There is however NO quot DISK ERROR INSERT SYSTEM DISK quot message or something similar I plugged in the HDDs on the normal SATA ports and made a quick test with Seatools So they should be physically okay Also I can t access the partitions or any Data I tryed to get some idea of what s going on by using the ultimate boot cd I could access the drive data in RAW Hex data and could verify that the data is still there Quick Facts HDDs Seagate Barracuda GB as Raid Mainboard MSI K N Neo Controller Sil There were Partitions one with WinXP on it So my Questions are How can i fix the RAID so it works again while keeping the Data How can i save the data to another disk nbsp

A:RAID 0 set problems

Well i tryed a bit around but no real success so far.
Isn't there anyone out there who has an idea what's going on?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-0-set-problems.160986/
Relevancy 27.52%

I just got a message on our computer that we use for a small billing business the message said quot MSI---S M A R T status Bad backup and replace Press F to resume We pressed F and back working I read that it was a HD that is going bad I planed to build another machine so I guess that I will order the parts today Im going to use XP for the os because the company s soft wear we use i don t want any problems now my other question is after I build the new machine with Raid three hard drives it will be either a Msi or Asus MB with the AMD chip I have a new xp os that Windows RAID XP 3 was never used Or how could I Transfer All the data to the new HD s like all the other Programs like VNC and that stuff Could I just take Windows XP RAID 3 one of the HD s and Windows XP RAID 3 install it and have the other copy the data Would like to know the best way and fastest Thanks John nbsp

A:Windows XP RAID 3

Even Microsoft does not recommend Raid-X for the boot drive - - use RAID only on a secondary media.

No, you can not take one portion of a Raid Array and move it elsewhere, even if it came from a Raid-1 (mirror). Raid has its own filesystem and will not mount on another system unless
the new system has the same raid controller
and has the exact same onboard chip-set (ie the drivers would be different)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-raid-3.160910/