Windows Support Forum

Best way to set up local and remote user with Server 2012

Q: Best way to set up local and remote user with Server 2012

Hi,

I am playing around with Server 2012. If I want to have a laptop configured for "at office use" with option to go on site, what would be the best way to do that in order to retain access to shared locations on server that is "at office"?

Should I create a standard windows account unrelated to my domain controller, and have them VPN regardless if they are in office or on site? Or is there a way to have a laptop configured for domain use, where it will still be functional (local computer use) on site outside of the office, even without internet connection (I know you can's VPN without it).

Thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Best way to set up local and remote user with Server 2012

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Best way to set up local and remote user with Server 2012

Well this is kind of interesting. You can in fact use a domain laptop away from the local network as long as you have logged into int once on the domain so it can cache your password for future log ins. Now comes to the more difficult part of your question's. Accessing files remotely while not online, you can set up what is called offline files. Offline files will give you acess to your files away from domain network. So if you choose to do offline files any changes made to the file while away from the domain controller where you shares are set up will have to be synced once back on the domain network. So if you make changes to lets say docA while off domain network, once you get back to domain network you will have to sync offline files to the server to update any changes you have made. This set up would not require offsite network but can bring problems when syncing once you reconnect on domain. But now lets say you have the same shares and now you have multiple individials with the same access to the shares. Say you make changes to docA and the other person makes changes to docA while offiste. Once you both reconnect and sync to server you could have issues with data such as duplicate information or doc merging. VPN would be the best option for sure....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-way-to-set-up-local-and-remote-user-with-server-2012.206403/
Relevancy 77.83%

Hi, I am using Teamviewer to remotely control my friend's computer and help him with tech problems, and I need to help him with a certain thing that will take a long time. He gets bored of me controlling the computer for so long, so I want him to be able to do something else on his computer while he waits. Can I control his computer in the background while he has a different window open so he can watch videos while I work on his computer?

And if not, is it possible to make a 'plugin' for teamviewer to do this?

I really need this feature, so thank you so much to anyone that can help me with this.

A:Solved: Teamviewer MultiTasking (Local User and Remote User Using At The Same Time)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-teamviewer-multitasking-local-user-and-remote-user-using-at-the-same-time.1107145/
Relevancy 71.81%

server 2012 r2
windows 7

i have a GG_USER that works perfectly

i have a GG_test that works on 1/2 the workstations

they are both under the same OU

i have checked and there are no event viewer errors
i have checked: switch / switch ports / cables / firewall / av

i have run gpresults on a working & non-working workstation

the non-working workstation gpresult says that "gg_users" applied
it says nothing about "gg_test"
yet it says that the user is a member of the "gg_test"

the working workstation gpresult says that "gg_user" & "gg_test" both applied.

i am out of ideas on why the policy applies on one workstation and not another.
i have even brought up both user accounts, and verified they have all the settings (AD).

any ideas ?

A:server 2012 r2 - user configuration GPs not applying - HELP !

I have got pretty damn good at GPO at my job. I can see as far as i can tell it wasnt filtered out. I did not see the gg_test security group listed.

https://hardforum.com/threads/server-2012-r2-user-configuration-gps-not-applying-help.1906285/
Relevancy 70.95%

We are developing one application where we have one requirement where we want distinguish keyboard \ mouse event between local and remote user. When remote user perform any mouse click operation then we should able recognise same that this mouse key or
keyboard event is of remote user. We tried with  SetWindowsHookEx however we are not able to Distinguish remote and local user event. Please help me to solve same.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f59cb1d5-229b-4327-bec5-6b11c190f140/distinguish-keyboard-mouse-event-between-local-and-remote-user?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 70.95%

We are developing one application where we have one requirement where we want distinguish keyboard \ mouse event between local and remote user. When remote user perform any mouse click operation
then we should able recognise same that this mouse key or keyboard event is of remote user. We tried with  SetWindowsHookEx however we are not able to Distinguish remote and local user event. Please help me to solve same.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4e2b14cf-c06d-4382-8fd0-2018b18bef90/distinguish-keyboard-mouse-event-between-local-and-remote-user?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 70.95%

I have a user who is using a domain joined Windows Pro PC She has several printers mapped via a domain print server She uses a VPN to connect to another site with a different Windows domain She logs into the VPN with a user account setup for her on the other domain She then logs into a RDS server using those same credentials The problem is that she is unable to print to any of her local printers from the RD server The local printers show as being redirected on the RD server The redirected printers all look like they're online and Desktop to server while Local are printers offline Remote connected she receives no error when printing but nothing nbsp comes out of the printer However when you view the printers on her PC during an RDS session they are all Local printers are offline while connected to Remote Desktop server showing offline As soon as you disconnect from the RD server and the VPN the local printers come back online and anything she tried to print to a redirected local printer while on the server now prints out I've checked and the print spooler service on her PC never stops so that's not the cause I've checked with another user as user 's location who sits feet away from her and is mapped to Local printers are offline while connected to Remote Desktop server the same local printers She connects to the other domain via VPN using her own credentials on the other domain and logs into that same RDS server She then prints a document to the same redirected printer that user is trying to print to but in this person's case the document prints out and the local printers on her PC never show as being offline while connected to the VPN and RD server I've deleted the VPN connection from user 's PC and re-created it and compared it to user and there is no difference So I'm stumped as to why the locally mapped printers on this user's PC go offline as soon as she connects to the RD server Jonathan

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1ec570ce-f339-42c4-a9a6-9903b21a0604/local-printers-are-offline-while-connected-to-remote-desktop-server?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 70.52%

Hello, I am having issues with my clients. Every time they logon, the information won't go through the PC client and load up. I get this problem in the image below.

A:Windows Server 2012: User Profile Service Error

Hi Benjamin,

I do not have the ability to remote in to my Windows Server 2012 box atm but have you tried this tutorial:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/38817-you-ve-been-signed-temporary-profile-fix.html

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Harry

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/43543-windows-server-2012-user-profile-service-error.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Thanks in advance for any help.

We have about 8 computers on a LAN that conncet to a local netowrk printer. We can all each individually carry that printer to our terminal server (using remote desktop), so we can each print from the server to our local machine.

We purchased two new computers which came installed with Vista, insuring all local resources are enabled within Remote Desktop, the printer does not show on the Windows 2003 Terminal Server as it does on all the XP machines.

Printing from the Vista machines to the printer works fine, although we do have some issues locally printing different types of PDF's (sometimes changing "Document Type" to "Document" in our print driver prints the PDF, most times it does not).

Our local network pritner is a Konica-Minolta C352.

Thanks again,
Justin

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/206842-terminal-server-remote-dektop-wont-see-local-network-printer-vista.html
Relevancy 70.09%

We connect to the server remotely with XP Remote Desktop... previously we had 2003 version and had no problem...the "local resources are all checked off, but I am not sure if the person who is maintaining the server has not provided the proper permissions? Is there a setting that would let you connect but then not access your local drives?

* I can see tsclient but for example previously \\tsclient\c would get me to the C drive, now I get an error

A:Windows Server 2008 can't see Local drives/Printers with Remote desktop

anyone have an idea? I am totally lost, I even logged on as Admin it still said I had no permissions to add a printer and still could not see the Drives on my LOCAL PC ( that is remotely connecting)!!??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-server-2008-cant-see-local-drives-printers-with-remote-desktop.771732/
Relevancy 67.94%

Hello I m not a beginner in computing but fairly new to Windows I read some pages on this topic but can t get it to go So Here it is I deployed student oriented computers going in the school classroom at Windows Pro SP I installed Win Pro SP on a target computer in Local server managment account non user joined. and created a school admin account and a student user account Installed Office registered Windows and office I did Windows update I did a default sysprep caught the reboot on Clonezilla installed it on all other same model computers At each reboot it asked me to create another admin Local user account managment in non server joined. account and re-activated Windows Pro SP Now I forgot to harden the student user account If I harden student account on one computer like remove the capacity to change the background picture with the MMC with the local user and computer choosing the student account and selecting what I want to restrict Which tool can I use to transfer this students restrictions to other computer LocalGPO LGPO LGPOPack with out MLGPO What would the command line for exporting the student account restrictions be What would the command line for importing the student account restrictions be Thanks in advance

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c0f27a5a-ea69-4b4d-9692-6013e23df165/local-user-account-managment-in-non-server-joined?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 66.22%

This PC with Win Pro X is my test PC so there's no data to keep I'm looking for a solution to apply User "SYSTEM" Server Multiple Controls Remote - Symptoms PC to other devices too One thing the infection does is use the Roaming Multiple Symptoms - Remote Server Controls PC User "SYSTEM" profile Sync to infect any device I use even on a different ISP in another state as soon as I log into my Time Warner Cable webmail TWC says they can't help because I own my own cable modem due to a very tight budget I pull the Ethernet cable from the modem unless I need it to prevent tons of connections to my PC Last I checked there were users approved to log in My roomate has a Toshiba laptop that got infected going online with my connection as Kaspersky Internet Security forces you to do before it will run pretty stupid eh I received a Kindle Fire and it got infected using the out-of-state different company ISP when I signed in to TWC webmail There also appears to be a virtual machine hidden within my C partition but operating as a separate hard drive with XP Pro as the OS My local repair shop thought they'd fiixed it but all the bad behavior started right back up when I got it home I've run DBAN Clean All and Partition Magic trying to delete it with no success Regardless of what OS I try to install after an erase XP Home or Pro Win Pro Ubuntu xxx the Windows install screen comes up as if there's a doctored copy somewhere on the PC already A tool or utility or anti-malware program can be used only once It appears that the malware makes a copy of it modifies its behavior puts a hidden shortcut within the desktop shortcut and allows only its copy to run Therefore it always appears clean Logs are sometimes disappeared when I do Save As Desktop As I type here the malware appears to be messing with my keyboard - dropping letters placing the typing cursor several letters away from where I click highlighting the entire parargraph when I select a word needing several clicks in clear space to remove the paragraph highlight When I was getting help at Windows Seven Forums it blocked my ability to post by forcing a second sign-in when I was already signed in which removed everything I'd typed I was able to copy sign out close and reopen Firefox sign back in paste and then it would post I'm locked out of BIOS CMOS and my cable modem by replaced passwords I used the -character minimum alpha-numeric with symbols kind many admin functions even when using the hidden admin account by You must get permission from Trusted Installer or Access denied If I get into a folder and open a document successfully they are blocked next time I try Cannot set up an alternative broadband connection - only the Unidentified Network installed by the malware will connect I long ago physically removed the modem card and serial port and uninstalled so they didn't appear in the registry Device Manager shows them available and working I was able to see a bunch of dialup software and XML instructions at one point Cannot install my printer Only MS Document Writer is allowed Whenever I think I'm getting somewhere with this monster it finds a way to force a reboot and reload itself Can't change a driver to the OEM one can't update BIOS through DOS can't keep Internet Explorer from running in the background Please say there's some hope for at least one of the devices The Toshiba owner got the Recovery USB stick but we're afraid to run it yet Toshiba call-in help will be back up on Monday they say Thanks for any time and consideration anyone is willing to give Flamo

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/597777/multiple-symptoms-remote-server-controls-pc-user-system/
Relevancy 64.5%

I have desktop computers in 2 remote sites, that were all from the same image.  The image was made at the regional headquarters.  Both sites have a wsus mirror server on site that they are reporting to, but they are usually (not always) pulling
their updates via branchcache from a non wsus server at the regional headquarters (and eating up a lot of bandwidth).  Computers not made from this image do not have this issue. 

I've already tried doing a 'netsh branchcache reset' on all the desktops with this image, but it has not had any effect. 

-any other commands I can run on the desktops or the non-wsus server that would fix this? 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0f5056e3-cecd-4b0c-b90a-e634b3b613c0/branchcache-pulling-windows-updates-from-remote-branchcache-and-not-local-server?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi
I am working with windows 8 and I have installed SQL server 2007 and visual studio 2010. Now I want to upgrade these setups to SQL server 2012 and visual studio 2012. what is the advantages of what i want to do and how can i do it easily without corrupting the operating system? Please help.

A:Installation of sql server 2012 and visual studio 2012

SQL Server has an upgrade option that is pretty painless. Just run the setup file from your 2012 installation media and click the upgrade option. It will ask you what instance to upgrade, run some checks, and then upgrade it for you.

Visual Studio is a little different. If you install 2012 without uninstalling 2010 first, you will simply just have both versions to choose from. You can completely uninstall 2010 before installing 2012 by finding your 2010 installation file and adding the uninstall and force switches when running it(ex. "C:\vs_ultimate.exe /uninstall /force").

If you keep 2010, 2012 will ask you if you wish to import your settings and whatnot from 2010. If you uninstall 2010, 2012 will just have it all when you open it for the first time.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/44137-installation-sql-server-2012-visual-studio-2012-a.html
Relevancy 61.06%

hello, i want to send files from my computer to the remote one but every time i try i open up windows explorer, click on my drive and it freezes up and goes to not responding, then it loads like 5 minutes later, and the process repeats every time i go to a folder, i am connecting to a windows server 2003 computer. can anyone tell me how i can transfer files faster or if there is another way than using windows explorer? thanks a lot!!

A:Problem Transferring Files from Local to Remote Computer in Remote Desktop

You are trying to do this over Remote Desktop?
I have used this with Windows 2000 Server and my XP computer. I would assume it will work with 2003 server.
http://www.analogx.com/CONTENTS/download/system/tsdc.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-transferring-files-from-local-to-remote-computer-in-remote-desktop.572041/
Relevancy 61.06%

The title says it all! Basically I have a comp running XP pro and I want to be able to work locally on one user account, with some kind of remote access server running on another XP user account so that the remote account and the local account can be used simultaniously. I know that this cannot be done with XP Pro remote desktop and could be by Windows Server 2003 remote desktop, but i need an alternate solution to make this happen.

Thanks!

-Jeff

A:Alternate Remote Desktop application for Simultanious Local/Remote Access

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/alternate-remote-desktop-application-for-simultanious-local-remote-access.339964/
Relevancy 60.2%

I run windows 7 premium 64 and all of the sudden I stated to get this popup after windows loads that says
"C:\User\Lori-Bee\AppData\Local\Temp\032150Log.iniis lost"
How can I fix this?...I tried check disk running CCleaner ....No difference

A:C:\User\User -User\AppData\Local\Temp\032150Log.iniis lost

Hi there ... Read the Link below and follow the Instructions ..
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- Error 182418Log.iniis lost

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/325334-c-user-user-user-appdata-local-temp-032150log-iniis-lost.html
Relevancy 60.2%

There is a remote computer server logging on and and controlling my computer I realized that it has changed around around my files When I go into My computer my profile windows logon is control computer/ has user my Remote of profile & computer server a folder under there along with the drives There is also another folder called Common Files I think THIS Remote computer/ server has control of my computer & user profile remote computer has changed my log on TO BE A dependent on a service that is logged on Its called IANMAN COMPUTER This is a personal home computer and the only one So its not part of a network Commodo firewall REported detected that I was a new netwotk was dected that I was a part of The Hijack this log is pretty uslewss and does not show much I found these lines using Regrun Unhackme Windows Core Components tab in Regrun Unhackme Active Setup items -------------- quot ProgramFiles Outlook Express setup exe quot APP OE CALLER WINTT user install shows this target file in system D PROGRAM FILES OUTLOOK EXPRESS SETUP EXE -------------- -------------- quot ProgramFiles Outlook Express setup exe quot APP WAB CALLER WINTT user install shows this target file in system D PROGRAM FILES OUTLOOK EXPRESS SETUP EXE -------------- -------------- systemRoot system regsvr exe s n i UserInstall SystemRoot system themeui dll shows this target file in system D WINDOWS SYSTEM REGSVR EXE -------------- -------------- systemroot system shmgrate exe OCInstallUserConfigIE points to D WINDOWS SYSTEM SHMGRATE EXE -------------- -------------- systemroot system shmgrate exe OCInstallUserConfigOE points to D WINDOWS SYSTEM SHMGRATE EXE -------------- -------------- D WINDOWS inf unregmp exe ShowWMP shows this target file in system D WINDOWS INF UNREGMP EXE -------------- -------------- D WINDOWS system ie uinit exe -BaseSettings points to D WINDOWS SYSTEM IE UINIT EXE -------------- -------------- D WINDOWS system ieudinit exe points to D WINDOWS SYSTEM IEUDINIT EXE -------------- -------------- RunDLL IEDKCS DLL BrandIE SIGNUP points to or is supposed to be D WINDOWS system IEDKCS DLL -------------- -------------- RunDLL IEDKCS DLL BrandIE SIGNUP points to or is supposed to be D WINDOWS system IEDKCS DLL -------------- -------------- regsve exe s n i U shell dll is supposed to be D WINDOWS system REGSVR EXE -------------- I knew that setup exe for Outlook Express was hijacked somhow but didnt know the extent because when I looked it up on the net it showed as a regular file quot ProgramFiles Outlook Express setup exe quot It showed up on comodo but disappeared really quick I count control or find it nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/remote-computer-server-has-control-of-my-computer-user-profile.938580/
Relevancy 58.48%

How to Block Internet on local Windows XP PC but Not "Skype" and other Locally hosted WebPages { I means 192.168.0.2, 127.0.0.1 and etc } ?

Here is my Network :

Internet Lease Line---> CentOS Server(with 2 lan cards)---> Local Lan----> Windows XP ( Gateway defined as server IP)

A:Block Internet but Not Skype and Local WebPages Hosted on Local Lan Server

I have 2 users, admin and agent(limited access)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/block-internet-but-not-skype-and-local-webpages-hosted-on-local-lan-server-607559.html
Relevancy 58.05%

The following Structure is a representation PC - IP - FQDN PC DOM LOCAL PC - IP - FQDN PC DOM LOCAL SRV - IP - Server Issue to File 2012 7 Windows Share Server Networking a with FQDN SRV DOM LOCAL - File Share 'FLDR ' USR lt ReadOnly gt SRV has a folder FLDR being shared for read only access to user USR PC and PC Windows 7 Networking Issue to a Server 2012 Server with File Share logged on Windows 7 Networking Issue to a Server 2012 Server with File Share as Domain User USR PC is able to connect to SRV to see and look in FLDR PC is unable to connect to SRV Windows 7 Networking Issue to a Server 2012 Server with File Share to see and look in FLDR Now there are multiple means of connecting to SRV to see the share FLDR The following connections were done in combination with the following methods Method - via logged on Domain User CMD Prompt with 'NET VIEW' Method - via logged on Domain Administrator CMD Prompt with 'NET VIEW' Method - via logged on Domain User Explorer Window Method - via logged on Domain Administrator Explorer Window Connection - via Server Name Connection - via Server IP Address Connection - via Server Fully Qualified Domain Name Now that the stage is set going to the fun part Testing from both PC and PC ------------------------------------------- PC Method - Connection - Success PC Method - Connection - Success PC Method - Connection - Success PC Method - Connection - Success PC Method - Connection - Success PC Method - Connection - Success PC Method - Connection - Success PC Method - Connection - Success PC Method - Connection - Success PC Method - Connection - Success PC Method - Connection - Success PC Method - Connection - Success ------------------------------------------- PC Method - Connection - Fail PC Method - Connection - Success PC Method - Connection - Fail PC Method - Connection - Success PC Method - Connection - Success PC Method - Connection - Success PC Method - Connection - Fail PC Method - Connection - Success PC Method - Connection - Fail PC Method - Connection - Success PC Method - Connection - Success PC Method - Connection - Success ------------------------------------------- PC and PC being logged in as USR PC is able to connect to the SRV share FLDR PC is unable to connect to SRV except by IP Address as shown in the tests above but as for data connection for some reason it is very slow even though it is on a Gb line nbsp All failures are given in response to Access Denied Error This issue persists after I reboot PC and after I remove USR user profile nbsp I have also tried changing the IP address of the PC and still no resolution Also no local PC accounts such as Administrator or Guest can be used to view our shares as we have removed 'Everyone' from the permissions and have selected 'Domain Users' group in place of it nbsp If you are not in our domain you will not have access to our shares even if you are on our network This issue also just started this past week I have looked for a resolution to this issue and am unable to find one that works nbsp In reality we have PCs on our floor that use a single user to get to this single folder to run an application and only one of them is giving this issue nbsp I'm almost getting ready to rebuild the issue PC from scratch with the image of the other machines nbsp Also the imaging isn't the issue either since I've used the same image and software package for the past two years on this group of machines and this particular machine was in the second batch out of six deployed nbsp Any other suggestions are welcome

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9a70a336-c183-430b-b6e5-0adcec1552c7/windows-7-networking-issue-to-a-server-2012-server-with-file-share?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 57.62%

We run a web proxy server on our network for internet access.
On client machines (running Windows 2012 R2) I have configured the proxy server setting in Internet Explorer "Tools\Internet Settings\Connections\LAN Settings" to point at the designated web proxy server.
When attempting to browse websites from IE I receive the "The proxy server isn't responding" error.
Conversely, browsing the same sites via Google Chrome and Firefox (installed on the same client server) return web pages without error.
In addition, if I run Internet Explorer as administrator (Right Click\Run as Administrator), I am able to browse web sites without receiving the error.
It would appear that the issue is isolated to browsing via IE when not run in elevated mode.
Has anyone come across this issue?

A:Server 2012 R2 - Internet Explorer Proxy Server Issue

Hi Dicki,
First, please try to reset the Internet Explorer. Some plug-ins may affect the proxy.
If it doesn't work, please try to perform a network capture on the client.
Please check if the client send the http traffic to the proxy server at the correct port.
If the client has sent the http traffic to the proxy server, please check if there is any warning or error in the proxy server.
To download Network Monitor, please refer to the link below:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4865
Best Regards.Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact [email protected]

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/84ad387f-4452-4427-8cd6-a2f6cd7b00dd/server-2012-r2-internet-explorer-proxy-server-issue?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 56.76%

Hello,

I have a Windows 7 network set up and whenever I connect remotely to another computer and lock their input such as their keyboard and mouse, the remote user still has the ability to press ctrl alt del, which then allows them to use their keyboard and mouse. My question is, is it possible to disable the ctrl alt del functionality in Windows 7 so that that Blue security screen does not appear? I have tried lots of remote desktop controlling software which has the option to lock the remote computer input, but they still can press ctrl alt del and unlock their keyboard and mouse. How do I stop this? Thanks!

Best regards,

Jerry

A:Solved: Remote Desktop Control ends when remote user presses ctrl alt del

Let's try the Symantec Pc Anywhere.This a very Useful software for remote desktop sharing and file transfer and there is the locking feature...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-remote-desktop-control-ends-when-remote-user-presses-ctrl-alt-del.997205/
Relevancy 56.33%

Wondering if someone can help me out with this nbsp I have my Windows Enterprise SP box on a domain nbsp Our corporate office setup a R SP print server and created a few queues on it nbsp When I try to go to start and then type in the servername I get servername is not accessible You might not have permission to use this network resource Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions The remote procedure call failed nbsp When I try to access the same server from Procedure Failed Not Server Remote Call - Accessible Remote an XP SP machine it opens up fine using my same credentials I have also tried this from another user's machine who has Enterprise x whose machine was built differently than mine and I can get to it fine from that system too nbsp Any ideas what I am missing here We run McAfee here and I've tried stopping all the services and played around with a bunch of other things too so far to no avail nbsp Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Thanks

A:Remote Server Not Accessible - Remote Procedure Call Failed

I can't think of any off hand that would restrict just one resource - that's not to say there aren't though.  Here's what you can do to check the Services:
Note that you must be logged in as a Domain Admin or have Local Admin privileges on the machines.
Start up two instances of services.msc.
On one of them connect to one of the Windows 7 machines that is working properly.  The other leave connected locally.  
Now go down the list and make sure the services on your machine match the services on the working machine.  If they don't, change them so that they do.  Pay particular attention to the Server and Workstation services.  Also the Remote Procedure
Call and RPC Endpoint Mapper services.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/affc927e-2dcf-49f5-be16-ade7f1a6a186/remote-server-not-accessible-remote-procedure-call-failed?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello, I own my own IT consultation and management company and I have a few clients whom I will be upgrading their Servers to Server 2012. I thought it a good idea to have a place on this website to talk about and gives tips about Windows Server 2012. Please Fill out the poll so the Moderators can see what kind of interest the community has in this suggestion. Thanks!

A:When are we going to start a Server 2012 (Server 8) Forum?

Not a lot of interest unfortunately. Let me think about it and I will see what we can do.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/481811/when-are-we-going-to-start-a-server-2012-server-8-forum/
Relevancy 55.9%

So a new box recently built, when booted, defaults to the local administrator account.

This is a Windows 7 machine for a Linux guru that doesn't want to be bothered pressing more buttons than is necessary, if you get my drift.

So my question is, after pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del...how do I dictate to Windows that the preferred used is "HisDomainAccount" on our company domain, as opposed to the local admin account?

If I'm not being clear, please let me know and I will try to explain a little better.

A:Strange Defult Login User Prompt - Local Admin, Not Domain User

Quote: Originally Posted by Norwood

So a new box recently built, when booted, defaults to the local administrator account.

This is a Windows 7 machine for a Linux guru that doesn't want to be bothered pressing more buttons than is necessary, if you get my drift.

So my question is, after pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del...how do I dictate to Windows that the preferred used is "HisDomainAccount" on our company domain, as opposed to the local admin account?

If I'm not being clear, please let me know and I will try to explain a little better.

The above is a bit confusing. Is this computer joined to a work domain or is it not?

If this is a domain computer, the user will have to use the classic log on screen (Ctrl+Alt+Delete), not the Welcome Screen. If he wants to switch to logging in to the Local computer account and not the domain, he'll have to "Switch User" then log in with the format of Computername\User Name

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/208916-strange-defult-login-user-prompt-local-admin-not-domain-user.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi all We are having a real issue with local profiles user profile service on our domain Our staff accounts are using local profiles When a staff member changes their password something is happening to their profiles on the machines that their local profile is stored When they try to login the machine is getting stuck at quot Please wait for the user profile service quot It never continues we have left for mins or more and profiles, hanging issue service Big profile and user user's changing :( password local with it doesn't continue We are currently having to use delprof to remove their profiles from ALL machines they have previously logged into which is a lot of hassle nbsp We first noticed this issue when we upgraded our workstations from windows to windows nbsp I was hoping that upgrading to windows would fix the issue but sadly it doesn't This is causing us major hassle on our domain It only affects people with Big issue with user's local profiles, changing password and hanging user profile service :( local profiles our students use mandatory profiles and they are not affected Our DCs are R nbsp I have trawled google but cannot find any information on this At our yearly microsoft meeting i asked our regional account manager and he couldn't believe the issue He had never heard anything like this before From the event log the only thing i can see is that it is not finishing the load of the user profile nbsp Under user profile service events it shows this Event Recieved user logon notification on session Event Registry file C Users USERNAME ntuser dat is loaded at HKU S- - - - - - - Event Logon type Regular nbsp Local profile location C Users USERNAME nbsp Profile type Regular Event Registry file C Users USERNAME AppData Local Microsoft Windows UsrClass dat is loaded at HKU S- - - - - - - Classes Event This is where it get stucks But then it does not show the final step Event should be Finished processing user logon notification on session No other events are logged We hadn't changed any GPOs before the upgrade to windows Any help would be greatly welcome

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1bc82ef5-71cf-438e-b223-d7aa88ea8de4/big-issue-with-users-local-profiles-changing-password-and-hanging-user-profile-service-?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi I thought I d post this for others A friend called with the dreaded quot Windows Antispyware quot malware that had totally taken over his Windows system He said he was unable to access anywhere on the Internet from his browser without those annoying pop-ups coming up I ve got LogMeIn installed on his computer he s had other problems before I figured -- aha I ll just put Fix 2012 of 7 Antispyware Remote Win MalwareBytes on my ftp site then go there from Windows Explorer But aha this amp amp malware totally takes over the keyboard You can t run an exe or type anything in anywhere run search nothing worked without the popups stopping you So I next had him reboot to Safe Mode with Networking Unfortunately I couldn t use LogMeIn The good news is he was able to access his browser and the Internet when it booted up So I had him go to TeamViewer and install it for a quick connect About halfway through the process Remote Fix of Win 7 Antispyware 2012 the malware was back -- but it seemed to take about a minute or so to establish itself in Safe Mode It didn t allow access to TeamViewer after the install which was successful even though the malware said it stopped installation So we tried one more boot to Safe Mode then immediately started TeamViewer I was able to get access to his computer before the malware started up Then did a file transfer from my machine to his of malwaebytes I Remote Fix of Win 7 Antispyware 2012 then right clicked on the program and Run Remote Fix of Win 7 Antispyware 2012 As Administrator and it successfully installed updated and came up to run the scan I did a full system scan with the usual warnings from the malware -- but it didn t stop the program from running Took about minutes and removed programs scattered around I rebooted yet again and ran Malwarebytes one more time No viruses So it seems to be OK Took two hours What a pain But the take home message I guess is that you can do this for friends amp relatives machines from your machine One slight worry is that I m unable to install AdAware it hangs during install but all seems well otherwise I also ran rkill and it didn t show any hostile processes running Good luck George

A:Remote Fix of Win 7 Antispyware 2012

Same here,my work is cleaning malwares via remote support.You should know that we are not authorized to use tools like rkill.In those cases Run as administrator helps a lot

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/431924/remote-fix-of-win-7-antispyware-2012/
Relevancy 55.47%

My grandmother was recently hacked and she changed all her passwords herself (yay!). However she did not write down her new local user account password for her laptop.

I tried downloading OPHCrack, I burned it as an ISO file and put it on a DVD-R(only thing I had on hand) and i changed the boot order on her BIOS menu to had the DVD drive as the first priority. It does not run....I hear the disk drive moving, or spinning but the program does not run. Are there any other options or do I have to do a complete system restore to bypass this? Also if that is what I have to do how do I do that without being in her control panel?

A:Old Problem New User- Forgot Local User Account Password

Hello there "hater",are you sure you downloaded the right OPHcrack version?It should be the one that is intended to be used on,not the one being used to download and be burned on.Try imgburn,never failed me to create bootable CDs or DVDs.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/40661-old-problem-new-user-forgot-local-user-account-password.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I am trying to install a program called postgresSQL a database program that creates a user (postgres) during install. I have installed the program before, created an account and forgot the password . I am trying to re-install the program and it still see the old user and wants the password.

The program says the solution for this is to.....

control panel>admin tools>comp management>local user and groups delete "postgres". local users is not there on home premium, handled by user accounts .

or

run
net user postgres /delete This gives me error 5 access is denied

not sure where to go from here???

A:user delete on home premium. no local user or groups??

Welcome to the Forum

Sorry that you are having a problem. If there is a separate user account,
Possibly this excellent tutorial can help.
Reset User Account Password[11]=User Accounts

It will not be easy, but it should work.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/270328-user-delete-home-premium-no-local-user-groups.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi there,

I've worked for a long time with xampp on Windows and never had this problem.

I try to access PHPmyAdmin and this error message appears:
HTML:
#2002 - The server is not responding (or the local MySQL server's socket is not correctly configured)
Why?

Thanks

A:XAMPP - #2002 - The server is not responding (or the local MySQL server's socket is n

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xampp-2002-the-server-is-not-responding-or-the-local-mysql-servers-socket-is-n.1035330/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hellow all, I am working in the IT Department at work. There are times when remote users need some help, Remote Assistance works good, but some of our less "savy" users have trouble with the Help and Support/Invite a Friend/Send Email way of getting help. I have search all over, trying to find a way to "Offer" the help without them going through the Help and Support way. Am I missing something or what? We are all running XP Pro. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks....

A:Need to offer Remote Assistance to Remote User

they can install logmein

https://secure.logmein.com/

free and requires little or no action on the other persons part. all he needs to ruen the pc on and give you the passowrd, you make a free logmein account and have that person install the software with that username and pass then after your done helping the person, you can have then uninstall the software.

i use it a lot for providing remote help as it is a very secure program and uses very little reasources and can be controlled form a web browser

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-to-offer-remote-assistance-to-remote-user.483197/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have created local User in my systems but when i login to that user its taking user name and password, but its not loding getting logoff automaticaly, i can login through my admin login but another user its not loading.

please help in this..

A:I have created local User in my systems but when i login to that user

Is "C:\Users\Default" folder still there?

Try logging with your account and then switching users?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/374409-i-have-created-local-user-my-systems-but-when-i-login-user.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Here's my issue, I would like to RDP to a Windows 7 laptop. Even with Administrative privledges, it will tell me "Waiting for user to respond". I would like to either switch users via RDP, or force them to log off without prompting.

Server is SBS 2008. I already have "Set Rules for remote control of Terminal Services user sessions" to Full Control without user's permission.

Relevancy 54.18%

Hello I created the following performance counter using logman exe nbsp logman exe counters incorrectly Server Windows correctly creates performance on 2003 but Server Windows Logman 2008/2012 on create counter US Triton Perf Log -b -e -r -s server -si frequence -cf folder server txt -f logtype nbsp -o C local logs Perfout Server --a -v mmddhhmm nbsp -rf nbsp max Logman creates performance counters on Windows Server 2008/2012 correctly but incorrectly on Windows Server 2003 duration When I do this across multiple servers specifically for Windows Servers the counter is created to repeat and run everyday at PM and stops running everyday at PM This works perfectly fine as intended However When I do this for a Windows server my created counter is very different For example in this case I have set to the counters to start at AM and end at PM because I have set a maximum duration of hours the job terminates and begins on the next day since Logman creates performance counters on Windows Server 2008/2012 correctly but incorrectly on Windows Server 2003 I have the repeat option on However this does not apply to our server logman creates the job to run once a week in this case it would be on a Wednesday In addiiton I noticed that the job doesn't not even start at it's indented time It actually does not start at all I also notice that the jobs on all windows servers are created in a pending status which then prevents me from removing Logman creates performance counters on Windows Server 2008/2012 correctly but incorrectly on Windows Server 2003 the counter remotely nbsp I would like to know if windows is capable of working like my win servers using logman and if historically the job has to be kicked off through scheduled task nbsp Both Jobs are using the same criteria but are created differently The top photo was created on a windows server and the bottom photo was created on windows server Am I missing something here FYI I have a script to automate across servers so when I deployed this it turned out about servers were actually running as intended and a whole bunch of them were in pending status and all stopped nbsp I appreciate any response on this issue

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c8377c80-cabf-41ca-bd0b-8132c4e19269/logman-creates-performance-counters-on-windows-server-20082012-correctly-but-incorrectly-on-windows?forum=perfmon
Relevancy 54.18%

Red Shield - IE Enhanced Security Configuration for Administrators
Amber Shield - IE Enhanced Security Configuration for Non-Administrators
Green Shield - IE Zones
When I click on the how to correct this it takes me to a Windows 2003 page not 2012 for the first issue

And page does not exist for the second issue ?
Any ideas ?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/707368df-5e81-4c0b-9f2b-c5b5ee805a34/mbsa-finds-issue-with-server-2012-internet-explorer-settings-but-i-cant-find-an-actual-issue-on-the?forum=MBSA
Relevancy 54.18%

When I am remotely connected to my employer s network on my laptop via VPN I get the pop-ups with all the scare tactics and warnings of being infected with a virus and told that I need to purchase the Advanced PC Shield I have not done so My laptop is fine when operated stand alone it is only when I connect to the company server I talked with the Administrator at work he tells me that no only on connection Advanced remote 2012 Shield PC one else has the problem therefore it is my computer I have run the Norton full system scan and the additional scan option quot if you feel you Advanced PC Shield 2012 on remote connection only are still infected quot Both came back clean I also ran the Micorosoft scan for spyware malware and it came back clean They recommended that I present my problem to you and see what you think whether I should go ahead and run a malware removal anyway but that I should do it assisted They said if I run it and still have it when I connect then it has to be my employer s problem It doesn t make sense though if that is the case why I am the only one experiencing it and the Administrator doesn t seem to be interested in doing anything about it under those circumstances So then what My operating system is Windows XP w SP

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/421593/advanced-pc-shield-2012-on-remote-connection-only/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi All,
We're having a problem with some Windows 7 Professional PCs where when you RDP onto a 2012 R2 TS they are not passing through the printers. The client is set to in the RDP client, and the server is set to allow it. They pass through to older 2003 servers
without issue. If one of the affected PC users logs on to another Win 7 Pro PC it works without issue.
If you install print manager on the server you can see them appear in there, but not appear to the end user.
Is there a known fix for this that we've just not been able to find yet?
Is there a way to "repair" remote desktop in Windows 7?
I've tried to disable and enable it but it's all turned on by group policy so doesn't let me turn it off.
Thanks

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ba1d9742-ef25-4169-a564-4d2985f07af6/win-7-remote-desktop-not-passing-through-printers-to-2012-r2-ts-sessions?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 52.89%

Short question i connect with romned.local/novadmin?? or i can connect only with ''novadmin''?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/401113-remote-connect-user-domanin-user.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Windows XP Remote Desktop Behaviour is desireable. that is, when one account is logged in, if another account is tried to use to log in remotely from another computer, then the 2nd user cannot connect and it is indicated who is currently logged in.

Windows 7 Default behaviour is to allow the second user to try to disconnect the first user through a query message which has an idle timer.

Is there any way to change the behaviour back to windows xp, where 1) disconnection of the 1st user session is not possible, and 2) it is indicated which user is signed on?

Also, even one out of 1) , 2) is better than nothing...

thanks,

A:Remote Desktop disconnects rdp user when 2nd rdp user tries to log on

Hi Rnj,

You maybe able to do this within group policy.

See:
All Group Policy Settings for Remote Desktop Services in Windows Server 2008 R2

You can set an option to 'Deny logoff of an administrator logged in to the console session' or 'Set time limit for active but idle Remote Desktop Services sessions' etc.

I suggest that you make a note of what you do so that you can un-do it if needed
Dave

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/222661-remote-desktop-disconnects-rdp-user-when-2nd-rdp-user-tries-log.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Short question i connect with romned.local/novadmin?? or i can connect only with ''novadmin''?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/401113-remote-connect-user-domanin-user.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I remoted into an xp laptop on my home network with the laptop on wifi the first time and now I cannot remote in when the laptop is wired, only wifi. Any pc in the house can remote in from any switch, the router, wired or wifi, but when I turn off wifi on the laptop and plug it in, I cannot connect to it. Anyone have an idea for a resolution?

A:Can only remote into local pc thru wifi

Addressing the laptop by computer name or IP address?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-only-remote-into-local-pc-thru-wifi.1026221/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello everyone I m in the process of updating our environment to Server R and I ve also added Hyper-V clusters -nodes each and all is going amazingly well honestly My one issue however is that I ve re-built our file server but I can t seem to figure out how to re-build the structure that I had for the user home drives A brief run-down I have FILE HOME username - the file share that is setup for this has Domain User permissions on the file structure I think I m assuming that s the Permissions tab in and for 2012 Server R2 the Share permissions I have it set to Everyone full I m not sure what I m missing although I know it s a permissions thing - I want Server 2012 R2 to set it up so that each user has permissions to their folder only - right now they are getting permissions to all folders - although they don t know this as they re only seeing their own folders but they could easily navigate to the other users if they knew how Can someone run down what Server 2012 R2 permissions needs to be setup for Server most of what I can find are for Server nbsp

A:Server 2012 R2

There may be a few missing details because each environment is different.
Create a folder that will hold the user home drives
Edit the NTFS permissions for that folder (security tab) and go into advanced,disable inherit and convert to explicit.
Remove Users group permissions

Add principal Domain User (or another group all your users are in) and set this folder only then add permissions read, list, read permissions, read extended attributes
Go back to advanced sharing and share the folder and give Full Control to Everyone group
Add DFS Namespaces and Replication (optional) under file and storage services role
Create a domain DFS root named whatever you want then add the share into that root
Select all users in ADDS and edit home profile, then point <drive letter> to \\domain\dfs\share\%username%
When you do this it will automatically assign user permissions when you type in the home drive and hit OK. I add read to the top level folder just so users don't get errors if they try to back out of their folder. They can't read anything just see the folders (you can even set it to they cannot see the folders but it's more complicated).

This system also works good because you can change file servers in the future without having to edit users again. You just add a new share with the same name to DFS and replicate everything over, then remove the old share.

https://hardforum.com/threads/server-2012-r2.1904176/
Relevancy 51.6%

Kind of an odd situation I'm in, my laptop's gpu has recently stopped working but besides the onboard video everything works. So I managed to set up a remote desktop connection to my pc from my iPhone. I need to do some web editing and the iPhone keyboard is pretty unpractical for that use so I was wondering:

Is it possible to use my laptop's keyboard while remotely logged in from my iPhone? Or maybe even just use said iphone as a sort of remote monitor?

I'd like to avoid having to pay multiple hundreds of dollars just for a new motherboard. Yikes
Any knowledge or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

A:Using a local keyboard on remote desktop?

When you say 'GPU stopped working' by that I take it to mean you plugged in an external monitor and still had a blank screen?

Assuming that's true, and since you can access the computer remotely with your iPhone, I'd recommend you download one of the free remote control programs to the laptop and install it. I'm currently a fan of Logmein Free version.

With that installed you can use any available computer to log onto the defective laptop (as long as both have a internet connection), even if they are sharing the same modem. From any computer...even at the library. Only issue I have with Logmein is that it can be a resource hog (minor) when it's not running as it's always in the background, so I always uninstall it after I'm done with remote sessions.

Some others here on the forum might suggest you unplug the laptop from AC, remove the battery, press and hold the 'On' key for 25 seconds, plug it back in and see if that restores your video.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/using-a-local-keyboard-on-remote-desktop-624033.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I cannot see my local files whilst excessing remote desktop. Before connecting I went to > option > local resources > and checked all (disk drives, printers, serial ports) but still I cannot see the local c:

I can use tab or minimize and see but I cannot import a file on my local drive which I want using the RDC. Could someone help pls.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mapping-local-c-using-remote-desktop.475578/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello

I want to be able to copy people's files on their own local HDD while mapping to their C$ shares across the network, but I'm looking for a way to have the files use their local clipboards instead of using mine. Is this possible?

I'm wanting to copy their PST files from Outlook to another local location before I run a scan on it as I have seen scanpst.exe hose these files before. But, I don't want the network to use my clipboard and end up doing a two way LAN transfer, which will clobber our network doing this to these huge PST files. Some people have these files maxed at around 20gig.

TIA

spiff

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-possible-to-do-remote-copy-to-local-clipboard.831690/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi geeks.

I need to connect to some other Win 8 Pro rigs using credentials of a local account. I am unable to find how to change default account type as shown in this screenshot:

Remote connections to Microsoft Accounts working as they should, no issues there.

Kari

A:How to remote connect to a local account?

Let's pretend your current PC is named Kari-PC and your username is kari, you would login with this username:

Kari-PC\kari

You can go to Control Panel -> User Accounts and then click on manage user accounts. From that window, you can see the "domain" name and user name. Then it's basically using "domain\user", even though it may not be an actual windows domain.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/19252-how-remote-connect-local-account.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I'm using a wirless labtop but I'm having an issue where I cannot ping any hostname on the network.
From labtop:
ping hostname of a computer on NW << errmsg 'Ping request could not find host.'
ping IP of a computer on NW and it works.
When I ping local hostname or local IP I get a, 'request timed out'

From another machine on the network:
When I ping the labtop's hostname I get, "Ping Request could not find host..."
When I ping the labtop's IP address I get, "Request timed out."

I also did an IPCONFIG /ALL and pinged the default gateway IP, DNS and DHCP servers and all worked.

Is there any way to configure something here so that the wirless labtop can communicate with the rest of the network?

Windows XP Pro
Compaq Presario Notebook PC

Thanks!

A:Cannot ping local or remote hostnames

this is called Ping By Name, the other form is Ping By IPaddress.

You should always be able to is Ping By IPaddress and if not, then there's a problem
with the TCP settings.

Ping By Name requires some service to translate Name=>Address.
At home, the simplest means is to add the names into the host file.
The file is located at
\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\hosts
You may need to login as an admin id AND to reset the read-only attribute to
be able to save the file.

Use Notepad to do the edit.

The content should be
name (sp) address​there must be at least one (sp) SPACE between the name and the address
eg: linux7srvr 192.168.0.2

ALL THAT SAID, you may have further issues on the network configuration.
The address of each system normally changes everytime you start the system due
to the DHCP service in your router. It is preferable to use DHCP rather than static
addresses, especially when you will seldomly need Ping By Name.

Hopefully, you don't need to debug your network every day, so I would recommend
AGAINST all of the above and use Ping By IPaddress when necessary.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-ping-local-or-remote-hostnames.114315/
Relevancy 51.6%

Ok I have a question....if I have an error pop up on my local computer. Is there a way using Windows Remote Desktop that I can see those popped up errors. I know I could check event viewer but some errors have generic errors while the error on the screen i.e. Windows Back throws a "media not ready" error which I can see locally. How would someone with RDP see that exact error? I know VNC I can see the desktop as the user sees it but remote desktop doesn't seem to be able.....any suggestions

A:Remote Desktop and Local PC Errors

When you login with Remote Desktop, it logs off the current user on that computer and you login with a fresh desktop again. VNC would be the only way to see the current desktop of the user.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/remote-desktop-and-local-pc-errors.728592/
Relevancy 51.6%

I need to setup my server to run applications remotely. Is Terminal Server all I need to achieve this????

A:{Advice Given} - How can I run a program on a remote PC, as if I were local?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-given-how-can-i-run-a-program-on-a-remote-pc-as-if-i-were-local.28276/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi everyone, had a question I couldn't find an answer for searching and was hoping someone might know.

Here is the situation, I use a software to remotely connect to a PC (PC#2) in another location. When I use PC#1 to connect to PC#2 it cannot access the printer I have networked to PC#1.

There is a piece of software I am using to generate reports on PC#2 that I would like to be able to print directly out of, as opposed to exporting the data, saving to PC#1, and printing.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

A:Using a local printer on a remote connection

You will need to save a copy of the report locally and then open it locally.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-a-local-printer-on-a-remote-connection.1128364/
Relevancy 51.6%

I am desperate!! I am working from home via remote desktop, and need to print my reports on the local printer here. However, all 3 of my printers have usb connections, and the remote desktop link does not recognize them. Any time I print it goes to the default printer for the server in my office 10 miles away! 2 of the printers are all-in-one printers and one is printer only....I can however, print w/an old parallel port printer, but the quality is poor. What am I missing? How can a SAP or SAP pro supported program like remote desktop only have the capability to use an ancient printer?
Please-anybody-HELP!

A:Local Printing W/remote Desktop

Have you thought about using a print server for your printer? This would make them available to the entire LAN\intranet.USB Print ServerWireless USB3 port USB Server

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/52181/local-printing-wremote-desktop/
Relevancy 51.6%

I am trying to set up a remote computer to access a computer on my home network Within my home network locally I can access everything with no problems Remotely though using my public ip address I am unable to log on Several things may be factors but I can t seem to pinpoint the actual problem I have a linksys router acting as a bridge and a zyxel modem acting as my router I have been able to enable port forwarding on the zyxel for remote desktop program no need for RD web I don t believe but don t know if I need to do the - public ok, Remote Desktop not local same to my linksys If I do how do I find the address to access that Also when I try to access the networked host computer do I need to specify that address name in the username field when trying to connect If so would it be formatted quot computername username quot or quot localipaddress username quot I have no other ideas on what might be the problem so any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you in advance nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

My Accountant is currently having problems printing. She is accessing our accounting software on our Win 2003 Server Machine. She needs to print to her local printer while accessing our server from her XP machine using Remote Desktop.

She has a local printer connect via USB.

We have installed her printer driver on our 2003 server.

I did the regedit Dword FFFFFFFF trick to redirect the printers, but we still cannot get a printout locally.
Any ideas, or resources we should try? Any help would be appreciated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-printing-with-remote-desktop.383213/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi, some time ago I deployed two servers for a small RDS environment.  They are both physical servers, session-based RDS.
I want to now get USB Redirection to work on them to enable the use of WebCams.  Looking through all the literature and articles, I get the impression that I need Hyper-V installed.  Is this true?  Was my initial deployment setup incorrect
or can I just add the Hyper-V feature now?   I am worried if I install that role that it will change the architecture of my setup.
Can someone please advise.
Many thanks

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1c222882-69b9-4305-a81f-ae582ad06086/usb-redirection-in-server-2012?forum=windowssteadystate
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi, I?m having a hellish time with Win7 clients and Server 2012 RDS (and PCI!!)

I have disabled TLS 1.0 on the server;
DisabledByDefault=0x00000001
Enabled=0x00000000

Win10/8.1 connect (I?m guessing these don't even try TLS 1.0)

Win7 RDP is latest (v8), I have tried KB3140245 but really unsure what a ?DWORD Bitmap? is ?!? i first thought 32-bit DWORD but it doesn?t seem to want to take the value given, either 0x00000A00 or 0x00000200 ? so that I think is my first hurdle?

Do I need to run KB3140245/Reg keys on both Win7 and Server 2012? (that was a little unclear)

I don?t want to make too many changes to the Server 2012, as I need to revert back etc. so the client can work etc. (busy company with little offline time)

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ebb8716f-e782-415e-81e5-155e5aae8ece/connecting-to-server-2012-rds-tls-11?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello,

I've been going crazy trying to help troubleshoot a BSOD.  I've used Bluescreenviewer to analyze the dump files, but I can't find a good solution.   I've attached images of the dump files from bluescreenviewer, and done searches on the errors referenced, NTOSKRNL.EXE and STORPORT.SYS.  We've updated all of the drivers, but I'm about to recommend driver verifier as well.  Please help!

Thanks,

cxzander

A:BSOD in server 2012 R2

These are both STOP 0x133 errors.  There's a bit of info on them on my webpage here:  http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x00000133
Even more articles here (eventually I'll put them on my webpage:0): 
https://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-kernel-dump-analysis-debugging-information/11184-dpc_watchdog_timeout-debugging.html
https://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-kernel-dump-analysis-debugging-information/9310-dpc_watchdog_violation-0x133.html
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ntdebugging/2012/12/07/determining-the-source-of-bug-check-0x133-dpc_watchdog_violation-errors-on-windows-server-2012/
https://bsodtutorials.wordpress.com/2014/02/12/debugging-stop-0x133-and-dpc-internals/
http://bsoddebugging.blogspot.com/2014/09/0x133-dpcwatchdogviolation.html

Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location. (By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop)
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
It's OK to ask for Driver Verifier if this isn't a production server (as it'll create downtime and also may slow the system down).
If it is, see if they can schedule some time to run Driver Verifier that won't interfere with their operations.

I suggest my method of running Driver Verifier also (it only checks the 3rd party (non-Windows) drivers:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html
This is because, on a fully updated Windows client system, there's less than a 1% chance of Windows being at fault (and I'd guess that there's even less chance on Server OS's).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617902/bsod-in-server-2012-r2/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello all I know this is a forum dedicated to Windows however Im having some issues with Server R I know it is very similar to so maybe someone here can help me or at least give me some good ideas Im having a hard time finding solutions online If someone knows of a better place or forum to go to for this please let me know Anytime I download software to install on the server I get this error message It happens with just about any software I download doesnt matter what 2012 Problem with R2 Server it is Also when trying to download something in Firefox a lot of times Problem with Server 2012 R2 it will tell me that the download failed almost immediately The account Im using is a member of the administrators group Ive tried restarting running as administrator etc The only thing that seems to work is shift right click - gt run as a different user and running it as the built in admin account Then most of the time it will allow me to install software or download software with Firefox Anyone have any ideas EDIT Something I forgot to add was if I do get it to download to my own user downloads folder everytime something is downloaded the permissions are automatically set so I dont have permission to execute the file This is what Im seeing in the security tab and permissions dialogs

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/55586-problem-server-2012-r2.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello Guys,

So basicly I have a Windows Server 2012 Hypervisor and it recently gets a lot of BSODs. I have run some programs and made a few searches to see if I could find a solution, but got nothing so I decided to try getting help from TechSupport FORUM.

From what I've it can be CPU or RAM but I don't really know and don't want to waste money without being sure. I have gone through the minidump but don't really understand it.

Can you guys check it, see if you find something?

Thanks in advance, hope you guys can help, I'm desperate

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/server-2012-hv-bsod-pls-help-1076058.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I have just installed Windows 8/8.1 - first time user
I just installed SQL Server 2012 and rebooted.

I can't find where SQL Server management studio is located. I've looked on the start screen and I've looked on the Desktop. I can't find an Icon to run it anywhere.

Any ideas?

A:Can't see SQL Server 2012 icons

While in the Start screen type "sql" and see if anything pops up. If so, and it's what your looking for, pin it to the Start screen.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/36397-cant-see-sql-server-2012-icons.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi all,

I've just purchased a HP micro server (?100 cashback deal) as want to learn windows server 2012 and also look to setup a home server.

can anyone recommend or point me in the direction of books, videos on where i can learn about installation / setup and maintaining a server setup for either home and in a business environment?

Many Thanks
andrew

A:windows server 2012

Quote: Originally Posted by ascomputers

Hi all,

I've just purchased a HP micro server (?100 cashback deal) as want to learn windows server 2012 and also look to setup a home server.

can anyone recommend or point me in the direction of books, videos on where i can learn about installation / setup and maintaining a server setup for either home and in a business environment?

Many Thanks
andrew

What version of server 2012 do you have? Also what client operating systems do you have? Windows 7 Home premium, professional, ultimate?

This can affect what services you can offer to clients.

Josh

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/306502-windows-server-2012-a.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I want to network the server LG Ncomputing monitors directly on our Local network using Cat 6 Ethernet cables, so that I could use the same software licenses as on server with around 4 more users connected. (My Computer monitor has a Cat 6 cable point with the Keyboard and mouse points too)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro, 32 bit
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2911 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)
Hard Drives: C: Total - 83113 MB, Free - 53941 MB; D: Total - 34579 MB, Free - 3989 MB; E: Total - 34579 MB, Free - 10957 MB;
Motherboard: Sony Corporation, VAIO
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/virtualization-in-win-server-2012-r2.1137740/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello forums 2012 Server Help Windows Really great forum here and I'm glad to join If I posted this in the wrong section I apologize Okay now here's my problem I'm currently trying to setup Windows Server for my dad The main thing it will be used for is storage of movies photos and Windows Server 2012 Help backing up Excel documents for work This is a copy a friend burned him onto a disk and is currently NOT activated He wanted to check it out before purchasing the license I have installed it onto an old HP Pavilion a n and everything went fine with installation but now that it is installed I cannot connect his Win computer to it I have Googled this and found a method but it doesn't work I'm told to open a browser and enter in the address bar quot HTTP Server-name connect quot Server-name replaced with then name of his server and I should get a connector software download page I do not get this software download page I just get a server not found page I have tried entering other possibilities into the address bar too xxx connect adding com etc nothing works If I can get any help with this it would be appreciated I have tried Completely reinstalled Windows Server Reinstalled Ethernet drivers on the WS box Things they may be causing the problem As I said the Windows Server is not activated The WS box is stuck on public network type and the W box is stuck on private network type The WS box does not show up on my network on the W box but I have my laptop with Win and it shows up on there Win is connected through Ethernet WIn laptop is WiFi This may be a simple problem and I'm just overlooking something If this is a common problem and has been answered before please just direct me to a link for help

A:Windows Server 2012 Help

Are you trying to access the server from a remote location using a local IP non outside routable address? Why are you trying to go through IE to get to the server?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/24564-windows-server-2012-help.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello  I have been asked to load a lenovo P50 Thinkpad with Windows Server 2012 r2.  It currently has Win 10 loaded.  A couple of issues.  When I boot the laptop to the usb the setup screen is very small.  Also during setup there are no drives located to install windows to.  I have a raid 1 setup on the laptop. I am probably missing some information.  Please let me know some suggestions thanks

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Installing-Server-2012-R2-on-P50/td-p/3479042
Relevancy 51.6%

I have windows server 2012 installed on my vmware running ad, dhcp and dns.
after that I installed the client running windows 8.1.
but when I try to join the domain it says that the domain could not be found.
so I hit ipconfig in my cmd on the windows 8 and it didnt recieve any ip from my dhcp its ip address is169.254.153.23. so basicly my dhcp didnt give me any ip adress since my server is on 192.168.7.128 network subnetmask 255.255.255.192.
in the virtual machine setting I have both network adpters set on bridged: connected directly to the physical network.
when I open the dhcp on my server I have a red arrow pointing down on the ipv4 and ipv6 option but since I cannot ping my server at all I dont think its my dhcp but my vmware network.
does somebody know how to fix this?

sorry for my bad english

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/server-2012-on-vmware.201862/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi,
I became a member of dreamspark simply because they offer Windows 8 for free. I became a vertifyed member only to find out that they dont offer Windows 8 for free to Students. However they do offer Windows Server 2012 free to student.

what is it?? Can i use it as Windows 8?

A:What is Windows Server 2012

Hello Mitchell,

Windows Server 2012 is an operating system like Windows 8, but designed for servers.

Microsoft | Windows Server 2012

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/15557-what-windows-server-2012-a.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi guys i have sql server 2005 i installed before 2 days every thing is ok but when i
create user in security for all database then i click user mapping it hangs and frezes
and take more time and last not open after this error reporting of sql server display
then when i click to see message tell me found that there are error in two files
sqlwb.msdp and appcompat how i solve this proplem please help me
notes
user mapping found in
open ssms
click databases
security
new login
user mapping
thanks
----------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sql-server-2005-hangs-when-i-click-user-mapping-to-new-user-created.1051529/
Relevancy 51.17%

I work from home and use a VPN connection and for this client, we are using the remote desktop connection through XP.

I found out how to have access to my local drives by clicking on options, before I log in and making sure local drives are checked. But, it doesn't always work. I have spreadsheets on the remote desktop I need to get to my computer drive.

Sometimes when I save the spreadsheet my local drives are there and sometimes they aren't. I have rebooted completely and still no access. I am desperate to get this resolved, because I have people waiting on these sheets. For now all the reports are on the remote desktop, until I can get them to my local drive.

Thanks.

Nancy

Relevancy 51.17%

How do I use the Windows XP Professional RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) from a computer that is outside the LAN? I have already been able to sucessfully use it from a computer in the LAN, but when I try to use it from a computer outside the LAN it does'int work. I've tried using the router's IP address and i've also made a No-IP.com account but still no luck.

Thanks

A:RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) Outside local network

You mentioned above that you could not connect via RDC over the local lan. Try a
netstat -an|find "3389"
and see if its even listening on the port. Is the computer you're trying to connect to also connected to a router? Do you control both ends of the computer? Can you ping the ip of the other computer? Is the Windows XP firewall on? SP1a or SP2? I know alot of questions but it's necessary in order to narrow the problem.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/rdc-remote-desktop-connection-outside-local-network-44224.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I am connecting to a client's server via a VPN connection using Remote Desktop Connection on my XP home system.

I have to run reports, convert to excel and then need to either print the report or transfer it to my local drive or a USB stick. I have checked access to local drives and printers, like I have in the past, but I can't get the file to print or transfer. My printers aren't listed as installed and when I copy and attempt to past on the local machine, I get an error that the source and file disk are not available.

I have to do this on a daily basis from here on, so I really need to get a good solid and quick fix for this.

Thanks.

Nancy

A:Remote Desktop Connection/local drive help!

Have you ever used VNC. It allows you to actually connect to the remote machine and actually be on the desktop. You can then do everything on that machine and transfer the file back to your machine. Just a suggestion if you have further issues with VPN. I use VNC to support my customers.

Tim Brown

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/remote-desktop-connection-local-drive-help.400234/
Relevancy 51.17%

I have legitimate access to a remote computer.  When connected to the remote computer, I want to print on my local printer.  I have checked the Printer box on the "Local devices and resources" section in the Local Resources of the RDC window which I was told would connect my printer to the remote computer, but my local printer is not on the printer menu of the remote computer.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro and Kaspersky Internet Security

A:While in remote computer, I can't print on my local printer

This thread might shine some light on it for you.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/win-7-remote-desktop-and-local-printing-not/544acb1b-a259-4170-bc05-2c6dbfd0ca05

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/582140/while-in-remote-computer-i-cant-print-on-my-local-printer/
Relevancy 51.17%

I'm using Remote Desktop Connection from a Windows XP SP2 machine to control a Windows 2000 Terminal machine. How can I share my local files in Windows XP SP2 machine so they can be copied or used for installation in the Windows 2000 Terminal machine?

I have tried by checking the Disk drives option in the Local Resources page of the Remote Desktop Connection and then connect but I cannot see my local drives in the Windows 2000 Terminal machine using Windows Explorer.
Thanks.

A:How to share local files with remote computer?

I don't know that RDC has file transfer capability, I use UltraVNC for remote console applications.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-share-local-files-with-remote-computer.358660/
Relevancy 51.17%

hello everyone,
i have batch file that compress all the folders where it located and create self extract file (exe)
the command that execute is
Code:
for /d %%X in (*) do "c:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" a -sfx "%%X.exe" "%%X\"
i'm trying to simplify the process for some teacher to run batch file from mapped drive (like H) and the batch file do that -
Code:
xcopy h:\class d:\class /s /y
for /d %%X in (*) do "c:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" a -sfx "%%X.exe" "%%X\"
xcopy d:\class\*.exe q:\students /y
the problem is when it reach to process the compression action it compress the folders on H drive and not on D drive
how can i target the compression to D drive instead of H drive
any halp wold be appreciated

A:batch file to run local from remote location

You could specify a destination path? e.g:

Code:
set dest_path="d:\class"
xcopy h:\class %dest_path% /s /y
for /d %%X in (%dest_path%\*) do (
"c:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" a -sfx "%%X.exe" "%%X\"
)
xcopy %dest_path%\*.exe q:\students /y
Or if the path is going to change regularly, you could create a dialogue asking the user to select where they'd like the files copied to as well

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/batch-file-run-local-remote-location-277921/
Relevancy 51.17%

I am having trouble using a locally networked printer when I use Remote Desktop to connect to a Vista machine Remote with Desktop Local Working Not Printer Under the local resources tab for RD I have checked printers The only thing I can figure is that my printer is networked locally not connected directly to my machine Every time I try to print during my remote desktop session I can't access my locally networked printer I installed the printer drivers on the remote computer and when I try to locate the printer I get the following error quot Windows cannot connect to the printer Server print spooler service is not running quot but the spooler service IS runing I also tried to plug in my printer to a local USB Remote Desktop Not Working with Local Printer port this morning Still would not work I keep getting the same spooling error The drivers are not corrupt as others have indicated may be the cause They work fine on my system locally with I also found a post elsewhere that discussed setting 'share permissions' and 'network permissons' to resovle the spooler error Still no go Any advice would be greatly appreciated I've spent a few hours on this one and am at a loss at this point Please help I really need to print locally

A:Remote Desktop Not Working with Local Printer

You might want to try and enable some of the remote services in the services window. Just type services in the command prompt and hit enter then scroll down to enable them.

I'm not sure which one would effect remote print spooling but changing them from manual to automatic might help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/30321-remote-desktop-not-working-local-printer.html
Relevancy 51.17%

l I m trying to find a way to allow Windows XP Pro PCs at out remote branches to login to the headquarters domain At the moment we have about remote branches with between - PCs each and a server either a windows NT or W DC At our headquarters we have a Windows domain We re an expanding company with a very limited IT connection workstation domain. to local Remote budget with additional branches coming later in the year Instead of purchasing new servers for the new branches I Remote workstation connection to local domain. d like the branch PCs to connect to the headquarters domain We already have a VPN connection connecting all branches together this is used for email collection troubleshooting and VoIP Each branch is on its own subnet and can ping any other PC at any other branch but they can t see any other branch domains But how do I make the remote office workstation logon to the central domain Any help would be much appreciated Lazhun nbsp

A:Remote workstation connection to local domain.

If they are all VPN'd together then you should be able to join the computers to the domain unless there is a Firewall blocking them from accessing it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/remote-workstation-connection-to-local-domain.541735/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi, I want to control a second PC (win7) on my desk and currently I am using my Surface and TightVNC and it is doing what I need, but the local screen refresh is jaggy and slow.

I am OK with using the separate monitor of the second PC so do not want the full KVM-switch adapter. I tried an inteck HB4009 which claims to do this with their Magic Port and it does, sometimes. But mostly it loses the mouse on both devices or totally locks up one or both or the connection. This is not an isolated thing with the HB4009 as there are many reports online of exactly that behavior for this hub. Great idea but terrible driver software.

Anyone know of a simple way to control the second PC using the local PC mouse and keyboard?

Thanks

A:Local-remote Keyboard/Mouse adapter?

Have you tried Synergy ?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/68414-local-remote-keyboard-mouse-adapter.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi everyone -
I apologize if this has been addressed; I did a search, and couldn't find an answer that worked.

I am attempting to connect two computer via Remote Desktop. Both are running Windows 7 Professional, and they are not on the same network so this is going over the internet.

Although I have all of the appropriate boxes checked in the Remote Desktop's options, I am unable to get my local resources to become available on the remote machine. I cannot see the local drives, access the local printers, or share items with the clipboard.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get these to work?

Thanks!
Ivan

A:Remote Desktop - Local Resources Not Working

I use TeamViewer to access my work computers from home. Able to access computers & printers on the network.

TeamViewer

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/133485-remote-desktop-local-resources-not-working.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I have 7 home premium of my laptop and am networked with VPN to 7 ulimate and I cannot get my local printer to work. My IT guy suggested that I get an HP 2305 instead of my wireless HP Envy but neither one will print. In the remote connection box I have printers checked. If I print to the Envy it will print the work after I logout of the remote session. Any suggestions would be great. I am snowed in and can't get any work done.

A:How do I get my local printer to work while using a remote desktop?

Can you print using a wired connection? Also, you need to set up printer sharing for both computers. Is there aa special reason why \you are using a VPN, such as working from home to a remote location (ie. office). Windows 7 is very good with multiple versions of itself and using one machine as a host for printing. Your IT person should be able to get this done.
As an example: I have 5 machines running 2 versions of Windows 7. They can all print to my main computer's printer because I have fully enabled File and Printer sharing and the drivers auto install during the setup process (after putting them on the main machine that is hard-wired to the printer. This would hold true for a setup using a wireless printer as well.

Let us know if this idea works.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/359964-how-do-i-get-my-local-printer-work-while-using-remote-desktop.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Okay so here is the scenario. We are testing our product internally and the software uses IP addresses in the URLs. The are hard coded in the product so what we would like to do is set up our machines in a way that when it calls the URL at http://123.45.678.9, it actually forwards this request to a web server at 192.168.1.145 which is a QA test server.

Obviously, the devs can't rebuild the product every time because we need it "final". Any idea how we can trick our machines into doing this? I think the hosts file will do this for domains, but not IPs?

Open to thoughts and thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/making-remote-ips-appear-on-local-network-for-testing.248623/
Relevancy 51.17%

Howdy All -
I'm thinking I'm not the first nor the last to have MS trick me into changing my User Name from Local to (in my case) an outlook.com email account. Now I'm forced to sign in every time I log on. And FWIW, I prefer to be fully in charge of my devices.
-
I surely would appreciate some guidance on the proper way to switch back to a Local User and disassociate my computer from outlook.com. Many thanks in advance for reading this and all replies.

Best,
/jdU

A:Proper (Safe) way to change from "Microsoft.com" User to Local User

Settings>>Accounts>>Under your Microsoft Account listing, click on "Change to a Local account instead".

Local Account - Switch to in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/49640-proper-safe-way-change-microsoft-com-user-local-user.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Recently, Microsoft included the Windows Server 2012 R2 RTM on their Dreamspark basic site. Currently, I'm running the R1 version on a virtual machine using VMware Player. How can I upgrade the R1 to R2 while keeping all of my files and settings using VMware?

Do I just boot from the ISO (I haven't downloaded it yet) (CD/DVD settings inside R1 VM) and then it will detect and upgrade R1 or I have no choice but to create another VM and then manually replicate my files and settings from R1 VM? I really don't want to do the latter since it's very time consuming. I hope someone has thoughts on how to do this.

A:Windows Server 2012 R2 upgrade over R1?

Wow, I just redirected VMware to the R2 iso and just followed the simple steps and I'm now currently upgrading on VMware. I didn't know it was possible to do that. I'll mark this thread as solved if there are no issues with the in place upgrade. Hopefully, everything works fine.

Update: everything went smoothly and now enjoying Server 2012 R2. Sadly, no colorful backgrounds in R2 unlike 8.1. All of my "3D" Metro App games like Pinball FX2, Jetpack Joyride, etc. work perfectly after the in place upgrade .

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/32140-windows-server-2012-r2-upgrade-over-r1.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi people I'm on a ASUS optional R2 updates 2012 but Server 8.1? Getting for have G JW and recently had to run a DISM source restorehealth using the files provided by topgundcp on this thread Worked like Getting optional updates for Server 2012 R2 but have 8.1? a charm DISM came up squeaky clean Did Getting optional updates for Server 2012 R2 but have 8.1? not have access to local group policy editor as I'm running basic and files provided by Microsoft online didn't contain ISO Afterwards I was trying to resolve some strangeness in event viewer assuming a lot of it was being caused by Getting optional updates for Server 2012 R2 but have 8.1? incompatible drivers Downloaded some programs from Windows Assessment Toolkit to scan for issues Drivers came up fine besides having a TON of unnecessary oem's however I'm still trying to find some clear instructions on how to remove these drivers using DISM without spending a huge amount of time I wasted over a week trying to fix the previously mentioned issue and can no longer afford to be blindly jacking about with it Still getting a lot of messages in event viewer but far fewer critical and warning entries than I was before restorehealth pointing device is driving me nuts I've been checking event viewer mainly to figure out why my dvd player is being initialized randomly as if on startup or upon opening itunes Icon is a document believe it's a paired SSD with DVD Here I was thinking I had everything fairly well taken care of but now I'm getting a plethora of optional Windows Updates for Windows Server R I have no need for this kind of setup and I'm running basic I have no idea why I'm getting these as optional updates and there are so many it's taking too much time to go through each and every update to read the info avoiding that update garbage Concerned I may have turned something on unintentionally or installed extra files Any ideas I've been bumbling through this as I'm fairly good with computers but I've never had issues to the extent I've experience with The restorehealth situation really pushed me well beyond what I've been used to messing with in the past and there was a lot of trial and error trying to sort out what was happening before even coming across the sfc and dism information I've tried not to tweak anything I'm not familiar with unless there's a consensus among those in the forums and sometimes info being confirmed by people at Microsoft Thanks in advance for any advice clarity on the subject This forum has been the best resource I've found for information and I want to thank you all for being freaking awesome

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/74473-getting-optional-updates-server-2012-r2-but-have-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 51.17%

One of the office computers I have running windows 10 Pro stopped connecting to 1 of our 2012Server using remote desktop connection (RDP). It will connect or other 2012 servers at different locations using different IP Addresses I have disabled the Firewall, Turned off Antivirus, and yes, I have rebooted the PC. Also the User account and password do work if I login to the Remote Server from another PC in the Same office, So it is a Problem with the Win10 PC. I Changed the Network group from Public to Private, still no go. It acts like it just wont connect just that one remote IP server address, all the other remote server I try to connect to work just fine. Is there a file that needed to be Updated, or cache that needs flushed? This happened after the w10 update, but again I dont want to remove all updates, as this connection problem is only giving me trouble on 1 server connection.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/66256-win10-wont-connect-2012-server-rdp.html
Relevancy 51.17%

HP Pavilion Desktop - 550-020a (ENERGY STAR) Product Number:   M1P30AA I am after 4 drivers for this machine and Windows MultPoint Server 2012 Standard.BCM43142A0 - This is a bluetooth driver - Not really needed Network Driver - Broadcom Wireless (PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4365&SUBSYS_2230103C&REV_01) - Not Really neededSM Bus Controller - PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C22&SUBSYS_2B2C103C&REV_05 - NeededVideo Controller - PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6665&SUBSYS_90F11B0A&REV_83 - NeededIs there anywhere i can get drivers for these ?

A:MultiPoint Server 2012 Drivers

Hi: The only suggestion I can offer would be to try the Windows 8.1 drivers and see if they work. http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-550-000-Desktop-PC-series/7779690/model/... SMbus needs the Intel chipset driver. Graphics needs the AMD R5-330 driver. I don't see the bluetooth driver listed on the support page, so see if this one works. This package contains the Broadcom Bluetooth driver for supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. Broadcom Bluetooth Driver is required to enable Broadcom Bluetooth devices. File name: sp67447.exe Try manually installing the drivers if the auto install doesn't work. If the drivers don't extract to a folder like they do on notebook PC's, use a free file utility like 7-zip to extract the drivers from the exe file and browse to the folder that 7 zip creates.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Software-and-How-To-Questions/MultiPoint-Server-2012-Drivers/td-p/5582384
Relevancy 51.17%

Guys,

Long story, but here goes:

Got a custom build server - Gigabyte H87M-D3H, i5-4570, 16GB RAM. It's now running 2012 R2, but it was running 2012 initially and had exactly the same problems, which suggests hardware issues.
Nearly every night, during the night sometime, the server crashes off, and needs to be started again with the power button.
I first suspected a power issue because nothing shows in the event log.
But after connecting it to a UPS and replacing the power supply (with a Corsair CX430), the issues continue.
I also get the odd BSOD - dump attached.
I've checked the following:
- Checked, rechecked and replaced all sata cables
- Scanned/chkdsk all HDDs
- Memtest for a few hours
- sfc /scannow
- UPS and new PSU as mentioned above
What else can I try?

Thanks!
Gaz

[EDIT: made title a bit clearer]

A:Server 2012 R2 shuts down overnight

Hi,

Get rid of this Acronis software, and my educated guess is that you will be free and clear:

Code:
0: kd> lmvm tib_mounter
start end module name
fffff800`01374000 fffff800`013a4000 tib_mounter (deferred)
Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\tib_mounter.sys
Image name: tib_mounter.sys
Timestamp: Thu Dec 27 08:25:05 2012 (50DC4C31)
CheckSum: 0003AE45
ImageSize: 00030000
Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4

It's a 0x7a stop.

If that doesn't do the trick, test with a different hard drive if possible.

Enjoy.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/41982-server-2012-r2-shuts-down-overnight.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I can guess the answer, no, but you never know. Is it possible to upgrade Windows 10 Pro 64-bit to Windows Server 2012 R2? What happens if you run the setup from Windows 10 Pro? You will be given the choice to upgrade, or be prompted to restart and do a clean installation? As far as I know, Windows Server 2012 R2 is the server counterpart of Windows 10. They even share most of the drivers. Assuming you have a computer running Windows 10 Pro and want to convert that to a small server, running say Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation Edition. Is that possible, or you have to format and clean install? Hopefully the drivers will be the same as in Windows 10.

Alternatively, is there any upgrade/addon to add server aspects in Windows 10 Pro (eg mail server, file server or HTTP server)? Is there an equivalent of Windows Home Server for Windows 10?

Thank you for your time.

A:Is it possible to upgrade Windows 10 to Server 2012 R2?

No. Windows Server 2012 R2 is the server version of Windows 8.1

The server version of Windows 10 has not yet been released, but it will be called Windows Server 2016.

And no, you cannot upgrade a desktop OS to a Server OS.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/44186-possible-upgrade-windows-10-server-2012-r2.html
Relevancy 51.17%

My Windows 8 Desktop and Tablet are always getting optional updates for errors regarding Windows Server 2012 R2. I have no idea what that is, and if I should install them. I'm not running a server, so I'm guessing that I can just hide them. Am I right?

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/69651-windows-server-2012-r2-updates-what-they.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I purchases comp p.c. from flee market when startup, goes to windows sever 2012 screen and askes for admin ,userand password.in russian, ive set my info in bias screen,and can enter that way but cant get past or remove problem ,im green as far as computersgo and anyhelp appreciated

A:Stuck on server 2012 screen

Hi,

Your best option would be to wipe that disk clean and install a different operating system.

Cheers,

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/33333-stuck-server-2012-screen.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi,
I am using windows server 2012 R2 on hyper-v. because of some reasons my server turn off. When i start the machine it just keep spinning. Please find the below screenshot. Can anyone give me a solution to make it work.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9cdec233-e2bb-44e4-a193-84b4b0c0aa31/windows-server-2012-r2-keeps-on-spinning?forum=w7itproperf
Relevancy 51.17%

have been trying to syncronize my gmail in Windows essentials 2012.
I had for outgoing mail smtp.gmail.com, for incoming mail pop.gmail.com, checked the authentication box. I double checked my log on on gmail with user name and password. Yet I still get "can not connect to server"
I did check mark the imap box in the gmail account.

A:server settings for gmail in W.E's 2012

POP and SMPT change gmail to googlemail.com
465 and 995 are the ports

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/364719-server-settings-gmail-w-es-2012-a.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Good day

I recently started at a company where i assist in small IT related tasks.

Recently we have started to experience some trouble with our server, we will all still be working perfectly fine (via Remote Desktop) then all of a sudden we lose our connection to the server and when i go to see what the problem is, I see the blue screen
of death on the screen with the following message:
"Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you.
If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (TSFairShare.sys)"
 If anyone can please assist me in what this means and how to resolve it i would appreciate it seeing as i don't have
a clue in connection to servers.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a269f407-56ba-4b9c-b7a1-5d5bc718e6f5/windows-2012-server-bsod?forum=w7itproperf