Windows Support Forum

missing desk top icons and start menu

Q: missing desk top icons and start menu

Hi everyone!
ok i am a newbie, noob , whatever and i sure could use some help here. My problem is the other comp I have are missing its desk top icons and start menu. and wouldnt you just know it,?? my son hasnt the slightest idea of how it happened. hmm. is there anyone that can give me a little assistance of what i may could do to get this stuff back?? any little itty bitty help at this time is better than none....... please!!!!!!!!

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: missing desk top icons and start menu

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: missing desk top icons and start menu

Check the recycle bin and see if they are still there.

If you are using XP choose a restore point when you know the icons where there. This should solve the issue

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-desk-top-icons-and-start-menu.59200/
Relevancy 94.6%

I just lost my desk top and start menu short cuts while installing a plugin from internet. It was a flash supporting plugin. I don't know what happened after installation. Anyway, antivirus that I installed in my lap showed that Some malware found after it's installation.
I don't know what to do.......
Pleas, help me????????

A:Lost my desk top and start menu icons and short cuts!

From where did you download the flash support plugin? Have you tried checking to see if maybe the Show Desktop Icons option is selected?

1. Right click desktop
2. Select "View" and then "Show Desktop Icons"
3. Make sure it is checked sometimes after updates this option will get reset.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/550891/lost-my-desk-top-and-start-menu-icons-and-short-cuts/
Relevancy 93.31%

Ok so i was told to make my own thread so ill try to go thoroughly through what ive done I will keep this updated for anyone else searching for the similar problem PLEASE READ st BEFORE TRYING ON YOUR COMPUTER might learn from my mistakes if there icons, icons, all Desktop, start all malware, menu missing empty missing programs Black is any Original problemsYesterday got popups saying error and would come back min after you close them Got something saying quot Remove Windows Recovery quot and quot system scanning quot wouldn t close EVER quot User account control quot kept asking for permission and i kept denying had to quickly click off screen on a web page to get it to Black Desktop, missing all icons, malware, start menu missing icons, programs all empty stop asking Desktop was blank and blackStart menu was empty everything missing task bar all unpinned also What ive doneWent to use advira asked to update so i figures why not quick so it does better well not sure if that has anything to do with it but i was unable to quot system scan quot yet i could still right click a folder and scan with advira So i looked what to do online since all i could do was still go on line thankfully and i found this http malwarecrypt com index php PHPSESSID bf Black Desktop, missing all icons, malware, start menu missing icons, programs all empty d c a b d d e d amp topic basically saying to - Empty Temp Storage so I did Then found this place shortly after and Downloaded AVG and used it quot Object name quot quot C Users Jeremiah AppData Local Microsoft Windows Temporary Internet Files Low Content IE EMY BH gfwlivesetup d fa e DIR exe quot Then used AVG tune up kit which in turn quot fixed quot files Also SIDE NOTE by this time my computer isnt having any more pop ups thankfully Then downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and used it Registry Data Items Infected HKEY CURRENT USER SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer Advanced Start ShowMyComputer PUM Hijack StartMenu - gt Bad Good - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully HKEY CURRENT USER SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer Advanced Start ShowSearch PUM Hijack StartMenu - gt Bad Good - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully After MBAM I still dont have anything back on my desktop besides newly downloaded things and still no start menu items and documents all still say empty I find unhide exe and use it also go to control panel and check UNhide all hidden folders get a few back By this time i just read that i SHOULDNT have emptied my temp folders BLEEP MEI go back and do a few random steps just to try tdskiller exe nothing bad appears Rkill com nothing terminated I download SystemLook bit posed here post http www bleepingcomputer com forums topic html page hl start menu and folders are empty windows st Tried doing the following and i was unable to because C Program Data Start Menu didnt exist and C Users Jeremiah AppData Local Temp smtmp all the folders are empty anyways not sure if that matters but thought it was important This is what you have to do Copy all content of this folder C Users Matthew AppData Local Temp smtmp and paste it to this folder C Program Data Start MenuNOTE quot Start Menu quot folder is a system folder so in order to see it in Windows Explorer go Tools gt Folder Options gt View tab and UN-check quot Hide protected operating system files quot Then Copy all content of this folder C Users Matthew AppData Local Temp smtmp and paste it to this folder C Program Data DesktopNOTE quot Desktop quot is also a system folder Then downloaded and completed Current User Start Menu zipThen was told to make my own thread Problems I still haveHave to repin everything my self not a big deal Start menu is empty on right hand side of course All my folders in all programs say empty when clicked onStill missing SOME icons on desktop-ALSO Avira is now letting me do a system scan as it wouldn t earlier Id like to know what caused this can streaming movies from http www... Read more

A:Black Desktop, missing all icons, malware, start menu missing icons, programs all empty

I went through this same thing. The folders that say empty...are they light rather than normal? If so you didn't change the setting for files and folders correctly (I did the same thing at first) Open up windows explorer (my computer, etc) click on organize, then go down to folder and search options:

On the first tab (general) under navigation pane make sure "show all folders" is selected.

Then go to the next tab (view) and make sure those settings are correct, select the radio for "show hidden files, folders and drives" and make sure all your other settings are the way you want them.
I got mine from clicking on a link to a website I'd never gone to before and then what i thought was adobe told me that I needed to update my flash player to view the content on the page, I clicked ok and it took over my computer with the same exact things you're talking about.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/426701/black-desktop-missing-all-icons-malware-start-menu-missing-icons-programs-all-empty/
Relevancy 87.29%

im having problems with my computer its nothing serious its just annoying and i want to fix it. the icons on the right side of the Start menu are now shown as folders and not the fancy one and i miss that, i was wondering if i can change them back? this all started a few days ago i think i caused it by doing something with CMD and some files showed up and i was deleting alot of them cause they looked like they were unnessasary, i think i deleted something that shouldnt of been deleted. now im just trying to figure out how to fix it with using system restore because i dont have the a restore point to fix that problem my restore points are deleted. does any one know what i can do.

A:Missing icons in start menu (icons on the right hand side)

Originally Posted by raitoyagami

im having problems with my computer its nothing serious its just annoying and i want to fix it. the icons on the right side of the Start menu are now shown as folders and not the fancy one and i miss that, i was wondering if i can change them back?

It is going on about Quick Launch Icons Quick Launch ,Show Desktop?- if not show any screen

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/202785-missing-icons-start-menu-icons-right-hand-side.html
Relevancy 86%

I have a laptop that after removing fake System Recovery still has browser redirects missing icons and Redirections, Browser Icons Recover, System Missing Items, Menu Missing Start missing start menu items I have System Recover, Browser Redirections, Missing Start Menu Items, Missing Icons used unhide exe to bring back the icons but when expanding any item in the start menu the menu is blank I have attempted to run ComboFix with no results It appears that ComboFix never successfully installed as the laptop froze during the process I have tried running tdsskiller for the rootkit but the program never loads which makes me think it is being blocked I apologize for not posting a DSS log but it never successfully completed either I was able to run GMER Upon starting GMER I received the following message After hitting OK GMER was able to run GMER - http www gmer netRootkit scan - - Windows Service Pack Running ix whbwo exe Driver C DOCUME DAVIDA LOCALS Temp fwddipow sys---- Registry - GMER ----Reg HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Prefetcher TracesProcessed Reg HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Windows DeviceNotSelectedTimeout Reg HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Windows GDIProcessHandleQuota Reg HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Windows Spooler yesReg HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Windows swapdisk Reg HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Windows TransmissionRetryTimeout Reg HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Windows USERProcessHandleQuota Reg HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Windows LoadAppInit DLLs Reg HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Ext Stats D CDB E-AE D- CF- B - iexplore Count ---- Files - GMER ----File C Documents and Settings Davida Estep Local Settings Temporary Internet Files Content IE Y DHVE sandbox htm bytesFile C Documents and Settings Davida Estep Local Settings Temporary Internet Files Content IE L F R closestshowtimes xml bytesFile C Documents and Settings Davida Estep Local Settings Temporary Internet Files Content IE L F R fw-nonplayer-banner htm bytesFile C Documents and Settings Davida Estep Local Settings Temporary Internet Files Content IE L F R fw-nonplayer-banner htm bytesFile C Documents and Settings Davida Estep Local Settings Temporary Internet Files Content IE L F R fw-nonplayer-banner htm bytes---- EOF - GMER ----

A:System Recover, Browser Redirections, Missing Start Menu Items, Missing Icons

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything. We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here. To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:*************************************************** In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/425878 <<< CLICK THIS LINK If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.*************************************************** If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.A new DDS and GMER log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.
Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system. If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available. Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.*************************************************** We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again: Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scr DDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running. Notepad will open with the results. Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERE We also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit Scanner. Please note that if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows you will not be able to run GMER and you may skip this step. Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic: Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal Advice Then create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here: How to create a GME... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/425878/system-recover-browser-redirections-missing-start-menu-items-missing-icons/
Relevancy 83.85%

this is exactly what is wrong with my computer so I start and icons menu missing copied and pasted it Ive tried everything please help thanks adam Hi all I'm desperately in missing icons and start menu need of help I was trying to download some programs earlier on today and it seems in doing so I have got a virus Basically when I log on the icons and start menu appear for about seconds and then disappears - I can only access icons for about seconds Then I just get the background screen I have Norton and Windows OneCare and downloaded AVG after this to try and fix the problem They either do not detect it or crash at some point I am able to access some programs and the internet by the Task Manager but I cannot Right Click on the 'blank' screen though I have attempted a System Restore but am only able to go back to this morning and that does not fix the problem It won't let me go to previous months I have tried running in Safe Mode - still no Icons I have tried www kellys-korner-xp com xp tweaks htm I have deleted all of the programs I downloaded today I have tried logging on as a new user I have tried Hijack this although I don't know what to delete I have tried Stopzilla antispyware and also tried a Microsoft program aimed at finding worms This is on an HP desktop using Windows XP If anyone has any suggestions I would be very greatful Thanks a bunch jll

A:missing icons and start menu

Im new here too, But there seems to be a malware section where you can post and they will ask for certain logs that tell if theres malware hiding deep in the registry and what not. Take a look.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/missing-icons-and-start-menu-346607.html
Relevancy 83.85%

In my start menu, certain icons are missing, such as: "Set Program Access and Defaults", "Run...", "Search", and if i remember correctly, "My pictures", "My Music" , " Control Panel", etc had different icons... Any help?

Relevancy 83.85%

Hi all I and Icons Menu Start Missing m desperately in need of help I was trying to download some programs earlier on today and it seems in doing so Missing Icons and Start Menu I have got a virus Basically when I log on the icons and start menu appear for about seconds and then disappears - I can only access icons for about seconds Then I just get the background screen I have Norton and Windows OneCare and downloaded AVG after this to try and fix the problem They either do not detect it or crash at some point I am able to access some programs and Missing Icons and Start Menu the internet by the Task Manager but I cannot Right Click on the blank screen though I have attempted a System Restore but am only able to go back to this morning and that does not fix the problem It won t let me go to previous months I have tried running in Safe Mode - still no Icons I have tried www kellys-korner-xp com xp tweaks htm I have deleted all of the programs I downloaded today I have tried logging on as a new user I have tried Hijack this although I don t know what to delete I have tried Stopzilla antispyware and also tried a Microsoft program aimed at finding worms This is on an HP desktop using Windows XP If anyone has any suggestions I would be very greatful Thanks a bunch Jill nbsp

A:Missing Icons and Start Menu

HijackThis is useful if you know what you are looking for. DO NOT delete anything in there unless suggested by either the security members (with the gold shield next to their name) or staff in training (with the blue shield).

Re-run HijackThis, save the log and send it to us to check.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-icons-and-start-menu.634460/
Relevancy 83.85%

turned on my computer this morning and it was running fine then suddenly the start menu and icons from the desktop all dissapeared and still have not found a solution on how to fix it (Using windows XP) anybody provide me with help?

A:start menu, icons missing

This may help: Desktop Icons Missing or Disappeared

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/start-menu-icons-missing-642683.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi to all! Recently i installed Vista x64 Ultimate and as i remember in start\all programs there are two icons of internet explorer (32 and 64 bit) and WMP icon. Now that icons are gone. Is that because Opera is my default browser and Gom and winamp are default media players? Of course i think that this is not problem. I remeber that i deleted that icons from quick lunch but deleting them from quick lunch doesn't mean deleting tham from start menu, right? Wmp and IE can be started directly by typing wmplayer and iexplore in search but i want that icons back in start\all programs! Please help!

A:Missing WMP and IE7 icons in start menu

Hi Edccorp,

Welcome to the forum.

When you type in wmplayer and iexplore, right click on the file at the top of the Start Menu and right click on it instead of pressing Enter. Now, click Properties - Send To - Desktop (create shortcut). Just drag and drop the new shortcuts into the Start Menu.

How to Add or Delete a Shortcut or Folder From the Start Menu in Vista

Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/98055-missing-wmp-ie7-icons-start-menu.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi all I'm desperately in need of help I was trying to download some programs earlier on today and it seems in doing so I have got a virus Basically when I log on the icons and start menu appear for about seconds and then disappears - I can only access icons for about seconds Then I just get the background screen I have Norton and and icons missing start menu Windows OneCare and missing icons and start menu downloaded AVG after this to try and fix the problem They either do not detect it or crash at some point I am able to access some programs and the internet by the Task Manager but I cannot Right Click on the 'blank' screen though I have attempted a System Restore but am only able to go back to this morning and that does not fix the problem It won't let me go to previous months I have tried running in Safe Mode - still no Icons I have tried www kellys-korner-xp com xp tweaks htm I have deleted all of the programs I downloaded today I have tried logging on as a new user I have tried Hijack this although I don't know what to delete I have tried Stopzilla antispyware and also tried a Microsoft program aimed at finding worms This is on an HP desktop using Windows XP If anyone has any suggestions I would be very greatful Thanks a bunch Jill

A:missing icons and start menu

Hello and welcome to TSF

Would you be able to go Here and follow the steps?

When the icons and start menu dissaper try this:

Press Ctrl + Alt + Del. When Task Manager opens click File => New Task (run). Type in Explorer.exe click OK.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/missing-icons-and-start-menu-186404.html
Relevancy 83.85%

I decided to remove one of the programs that I don't use anymore, so clicked on "START" to access the control panel. Not only was the Control Panel icon gone, but so was 'My Documents; My Pictures; My Music; My computer, Help; and Run' !! Where did all the icons go and how can I get them back?? Thanks for any help.

A:Icons in Start Menu are missing!(XP)

Are you logged in as the ADMIN account? If not, you won't see the control panel etc etc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/icons-in-start-menu-are-missing-xp.92558/
Relevancy 83.85%

Following a Virtumonde smitfraud infection Ive managed to get my system quot clean quot and mostly restored But some icons still stubbornly refuse to return to the start menu Im missing the quot My Music quot quot My Pictures quot quot My Network Connections quot and quot Favourites quot icons As well as that when I go to Start Menu - gt Properties - gt Customise - gt Advanced tab the only thing showing under quot Start menu items quot is quot Set Program access and defaults quot Im currently running WinXP Pro with SP installed What Ive tried Anti-virus and malware scans - AVG Free - Clean - Spybot S Menu Icons Start Missing amp D - Clean - MWB Anti-Malware - Clean - a-squared - Clean - Blacklight RKR - Clean Editing Group policies - Set Missing Start Menu Icons all relevant polices to disable - No effect - Set all relevant Missing Start Menu Icons policies to Not configured - No effect Editing registry - Downloaded registry patches - No effect - Manually edited registy - No effect Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Missing Start Menu Icons

click start
then run and then type

sfc /scannow
and this will check the integrity of your system files. (you will need your windows cd)
i dont think that this will fix this issue but it has fixed similar issues for me in the past and is simple to do.

if that doesnt work try making a new profile and see if that profile has the same issue, if not you can then
migrate over your docs, favourites and email

otherwise a windows repair install should fix the problem

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/169964/missing-start-menu-icons/
Relevancy 83.85%

Following a Virtumonde smitfraud infection Ive managed to get my system quot clean quot and mostly restored But some icons still stubbornly refuse to return to the start menu Im missing the quot My Music quot quot My Pictures quot quot My Network Connections quot and quot Favourites quot icons As well as that when I go to Start Menu - gt Properties - gt Customise - gt Advanced tab the only thing showing under quot Start menu items quot is quot Set Program access and defaults quot Im currently running WinXP Pro with SP installed What Ive tried Anti-virus and malware scans - AVG Free - Icons Start missing menu Clean - Spybot S amp D - Clean - MWB Anti-Malware - Start menu missing Icons Clean - a-squared - Clean - Blacklight RKR - Clean Editing Group policies - Set all relevant polices to disable - No effect - Set all relevant policies to Not configured - No effect Editing registry - Downloaded registry patches - No effect - Manually edited registy - No effect Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Start menu missing Icons

Also tried running sfc /scannow but no joy with that either.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/start-menu-missing-icons-293249.html
Relevancy 83.85%

I Had A Trojan On My Computer, And A Few Viruses, I Think I Have Got Rid Of Them, But Yet I Still Cant Get My Icons Or Start Menu To Appear, Safe Mode Or Not. The Icons Arent On Hidden. I Have Tried Everything. I Dont Have A Boot Up Disk Either For Windows Xp. I Have Done Hijack This, Spyware Guard, Ad-aware, Avg, Cc Cleaner. All That U Can Do. Is There Any Way You Can Help Me.

Kristin

Relevancy 83.85%

Had a SDD crash and now my malwarebytes icon is missing. Tried changing the icon but its still missing.
I even reinstalled the program after uninstalling it and nothing. Tried a system restore and I still cant get the icon.

Any tips or tricks that might work?

A:Icons missing in Start Menu

What part of the Start Menu was it in?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/283039-icons-missing-start-menu.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi all I'm desperately in need of help I was trying to download some programs earlier on today and it seems in doing so I have got a virus Basically when I log on the icons and start menu appear for about seconds and then disappears - I can only access icons for about seconds Then I just get the background screen I have Norton and Windows OneCare and downloaded AVG after this to try and fix the problem They either do not detect it or crash at some point I am able to access some programs and the internet by the Task Manager but I cannot Right Click on the 'blank' screen though I have attempted a System Restore but am only able to go back to this morning and that does not fix the problem It won't let me go to previous months I have tried running in Safe Mode - still no Icons I have tried www kellys-korner-xp com xp tweaks htm I have deleted all of the programs I downloaded Menu and Start Icons Missing today Missing Icons and Start Menu I have tried logging on as a new user I have tried Hijack this although I don't know what to delete I have tried Stopzilla antispyware and also tried a Microsoft program aimed at finding worms This is on an HP desktop using Windows XP If anyone has any suggestions I would be very greatful Thanks a bunch Jill Main Text eckard's System Scanner v Run by Owner on - - Computer is in Normal Mode -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- System Restore -------------------------------------------------------------- Successfully created a Deckard's System Scanner Restore Point -- Last Restore Point s -- - - UTC - RP - Deckard's System Scanner Restore Point - - UTC - RP - Restore Operation - - UTC - RP - Restore Operation - - UTC - RP - Restore Operation - - UTC - RP - Installed AVG -- First Restore Point -- - - UTC - RP - System Checkpoint Backed up registry hives Performed disk cleanup -- HijackThis run as Owner exe ----------------------------------------------- Unable to find log file not found running clone -- HijackThis Clone ------------------------------------------------------------ Emulating logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at - - Platform Windows XP Service Pack MSIE Internet Explorer Running processes C WINDOWS SYSTEM smss exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM winlogon exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM services exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM lsass exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM svchost exe C Program Files Microsoft Windows OneCare Live Antivirus MsMpEng exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSvcHst exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared AppCore AppSvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM LEXBCES EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM spoolsv exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM LEXPPS EXE C Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate AluSchedulerSvc exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM nvsvc exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM svchost exe C Program Files Microsoft Windows OneCare Live winss exe C Program Files Microsoft Windows OneCare Live Firewall msfwsvc exe C Program Files Microsoft Windows OneCare Live winssnotify exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM ctfmon exe C Program Files Logitech Video LogiTray exe C hp KBD KBD EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM hpsysdrv exe C Program Files Lexmark Series lxczbmgr exe C Program Files Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition Apps apdproxy exe C Program Files Lexmark Series lxczbmon exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM svchost exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM LVComS exe C Program Files Logitech Video LowLight exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM taskmgr exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Documents and Settings Owner Local Settings Temporary Internet Files Content IE LLNJ LE dss exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http search msn com spbasic htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext iexplore R - HKEY LOCAL MACHINE Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKEY LOCAL MACHINE Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Sea... Read more

A:Missing Icons and Start Menu

Welcome lilacskies

Post a combofix log
1. Download/save not open this file to your desktop
http://www.techsupportforum.com/sect...s/ComboFix.exe
alternate link
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

2. Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
3. When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Post that log in your next reply

Note:
Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall
The PC's time will appear to change, ignore it, it is temporary.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/missing-icons-and-start-menu-186432.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi guys so I have been having a few problems recently. First off is that my start menu icons won't appear fr the correct program (see attached picture) Second is that my desktop icon size always resets on a restart. I have tried finding resolutions to these problems and do not know how to fix them, if you could help em I would greatly appreciate it.

A:Missing start menu icons

Maybe Brink's tut will help: Icon Cache - Rebuild

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/252949-missing-start-menu-icons.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi, I installed Norton Virus today and now my start menu and icons are all missing , I just get a blank screen , I can access the internet threw the task bar, I tried doing a system restore and also deleting Norton , but still have no menu or start icons, please help!! been working on this for hours, thanks so much

A:Start menu and icons missing

In the Task Manager go to File/New Task (Run..) type in appwiz.cpl and hit enter. In the Add Remove Programs Uninstall any Norton and Symantec software and reboot. See if you can boot into Safe Mode with Networking (press F8 at boot up). Then got to Start/Run and type in CMD in the Command Prompt type in chkdsk /f/r and hit enter. Now type a Y and reboot the computer. The Check Disk utility will try and fix any errors.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/start-menu-and-icons-missing-520635.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Hello everyone.

I am wondering how will I restore my icons on the start menu. Below is the screenshot.

When I click on that icon the program is working. It seems like the only wrong here is the icon. Maybe a cache issue I guess.

Help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

A:Missing Icons on Start Menu

Rebuilding the icon cache might restore them:
Icon Cache - Rebuild

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/159846-missing-icons-start-menu.html
Relevancy 83.85%

I recently missing in menu icons start got a stupid system check malware I have completely removed it using the apropriate guide here on bleeping computer I have run unhide exe and they are still missing Here is a little info my account is the administrator account doc amp settings myusername start menu programs all of my icons are fine doc amp settings all users missing icons in start menu start menu programs all of my folders are empty System restore is disabled because we are running a universal central backup icons were not being backed up here are the things that I have tried Checked to show hidden objects navigated for deleted icons in quot Active Undelete Pro quot Checked for hidden files in the recycle bin directory Checked all temp folders Changed the security properties of the all users missing icons in start menu start menu It seems as if they have been moved renamed Does anyone have any idea on what I could do to try and find these icons and restore them

A:missing icons in start menu

Edit ,,, .This will restore the default start menu that came with Windows. Windows XP Pro 32-bit US Englishhttp://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/fakehdd/winxp-pro-32bit-sm-reset.exe

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/439847/missing-icons-in-start-menu/
Relevancy 82.99%

when i start xp pro, i can log on but all i get after that is the background wallpaper. The start bar is missing and all the program shortcuts.

I have started the task manager and no programs are running, but if i try to start a new task, the machine locks up and i have to reboot.

I can get into the system via safe mode. I have tried the suggestions on the forum about this problem, but no luck.

I would welcome your help

Relevancy 82.99%

When I started windows this morning it appeared like so It did not recover after reboots Here is the logfile Please help much appreciated logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v BETA Scan saved at on Platform Windows Vista WinNT Boot mode Normal Running processes C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C Windows system Taskmgr exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Windows Explorer exe C Windows System rundll exe C Users Michael Poon Desktop HiJackThis v exe F - REG system ini Shell Explorer exe C WINDOWS Config lsass exe O - Hosts localhost O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D and start Icons, taskbar Missing menu -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO Skype add-on mastermind - Missing Icons, start menu and taskbar BF B-C D - d - A -A F BA C - C Program Files Skype Toolbars Internet Explorer SkypeIEPlugin dll O - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveShellExtensions dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO Windows Live Toolbar Helper - BDBD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar msntb dll O - Toolbar Windows Live Toolbar - BDAD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar msntb dll O - HKLM Run Windows Defender ProgramFiles Windows Defender MSASCui exe -hide O - HKLM Run Unattend B -CCAF- F - -C C Windows test bat O - HKLM Run IgfxTray C Windows system igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C Windows system hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run Persistence C Windows system igfxpers exe O - HKLM Run RtHDVCpl RtHDVCpl exe O - HKLM Run snp uvc C Windows vsnp uvc exe O - HKLM Run SMSERIAL C Program Files Motorola SMSERIAL sm hlpr exe O - HKLM Run EzButton C PROGRA EzButton EzButton EXE O - HKLM Run EnergyUtility C Program Files Lenovo EnergyCut utilty exe O - HKLM Run EnergyCut C Program Files Lenovo EnergyCut EnergyCut exe O - HKLM Run Apoint C Program Files Apoint K Apoint exe O - HKLM Run VeriFacePassManager C Program Files Lenovo VeriFace PManage exe O - HKLM Run PCMService quot C Program Files Lenovo ShuttleCenter PCMService exe quot O - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKLM Run GrooveMonitor quot C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe quot O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run MSServer rundll exe C Windows system tuvvvvs dll O - HKLM Run runner C Windows mrofinu exe A B BBF F C AB B CBD BD DD O - HKLM Run Tpscrex C Program Files MSTpscre Tpscrex exe O - HKCU Run Sidebar C Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exe autoRun O - HKCU Run MsnMsgr quot C Program Files Windows Live Messenger MsnMsgr Exe quot background O - HKCU Run kernel C Program Files kernel kernel exe O - HKUS S- - - Run Sidebar ProgramFiles Windows Sidebar Sidebar exe detectMem User 'LOCAL SERVICE' O - HKUS S- - - Run WindowsWelcomeCenter rundll exe oobefldr dll ShowWelcomeCenter User 'LOCAL SERVICE' O - HKUS S- - - Run Sidebar ProgramFiles Windows Sidebar Sidebar exe detectMem User 'NETWORK SERVICE' O - Global Startup Adobe Reader Speed Launch lnk C Program Files Adobe Reader Reader reader sl exe O - Global Startup Adobe Reader Synchronizer lnk C Program Files Adobe Reader Reader AdobeCollabSync exe O - Global Startup BTTray lnk O - Extra context menu item amp Windows Live Search - res C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar msntb dll search htm O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C PROGRA MICROS Office EXCEL EXE O - Extra context menu item Bluetooth amp B - C Program Files Lenovo Bluetooth Software btsendto ie ctx htm O ... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/missing-icons-start-menu-and-taskbar-207881.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hello all hopefully someone out there can help me I have a friends pc at home that is giving all sorts of problems The pc was running and desktop Missing menu start icons slow and giving them the occasional Missing desktop icons and start menu BSOD I suspected malware spyware viruses etc after a Missing desktop icons and start menu lot of swearing and threats of turning the pc into a flowerbox I finally managed to install and run ad-aware SE personal spybot and nod antivirus software all programs found and removed various nasties now the pc boots fine into safe mode or normal mode but--- once up and running there is no desktop icons no start button nothing but the wallpaper and mouse pointer which works fine this is in safe mode and normal mode Ctrl Alt Delete brings up the task manager in both modes but explorer exe will not run windows update will not update but all virus and anti spyware programs will download latest updates in both safe and normal modes I have access to the net through another pc and can download and transfer programs via a thumb drive as I can still access this through task manager hope I have added enough info to start with and look forward to many replies with a possible solution nbsp

A:Missing desktop icons and start menu

Have you tried a Repair Install?

Also, good advice here: http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=217653&messageID=2208592

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-desktop-icons-and-start-menu.74990/
Relevancy 82.99%

I was asked to investigate a friends PC which had lost all Icons/Taskbar/Start Menu both in normal and safe mode. He reported a problem with IE launching spurious browser windows shortly before.

The PC was XP with SP3. I could launch Task Manager, the only obvious intruder was A.EXE which I killed, but any scans were terminated after a few seconds. I tried HijackThis and MalwareBytes. Attempts to run Explorer gave the message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item".
System Restore did not solve the problem.

I removed the HD and scanned it on a 2nd PC. AVG identified and removed several trojans (log attached). I reinstalled th HD and still no Icons etc, but could run Malwarebytes which found and fixed much more. (Log attached)

Still no Icons. How do I get them back?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/missing-icons-taskbar-start-menu-440391.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi guys,

Just got this error and couldn't find anything like this solved.
The icons (or maybe the apps) are missing from the start menu.

Thanks,
Gabriel.

A:Start menu icons/apps missing

If you have one you can try a system restore to a time before this happened. You could also try down loading the ISO from MS and doing a in-place repair install. Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums
To do the in-place repair mount the ISO by double clicking on it. Then look for the install.exe and clicking on it. This will repair Windows 10 without you loosing anything and hopefully fixing your problem.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/40753-start-menu-icons-apps-missing.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hello this is my first post here Ive never seen this site before but glad I ran across it I am having the same problem with two different brand new Gateways I sent the first one back thinking it was just a missing Start Problem with menu Icons and faulty operating system and got a different one Problem with missing Icons and Start menu and I am coming up with the same problem So obviously Im thinking the problem is me Both times the computers have ran just fine the first time after set up I register it and get an internet connection everything seems fine I download the following programs Utorrent WinAmp Pokerstars software and FireFox Thats basically all I use my computer for is listening to music and playing poker All these programs ran fine on both my Dells Ive owned The problems come after restarting or leaving the computer for awhile and letting the screensaver activate On both computers I would return and restart or move the mouse and all I see is a blank gray Gateway background I see no start menu and no icons I can see the cursor of the mouse and I can right click to bring up that menu I have done the normal things I can do from there like make sure the show display icons is checked I figured out instead of a screen saver that the computer was going into sleep mode So I restarted into safe mode gateway helped me with this Safe mode worked and I was able de activate sleep mode I thought my problems was fixed but of course when I shut the computer down for the night and re started the next morning all I had was a gray background and no icons again So are gateways just junk or am I doing something wrong The person from Gateway suggested the computer was getting a virus from winamp but I took it off the computer and did a system restore and I am getting the same problems I have even totally reinstalled Windows and still having problems I really like this computer I dont want to have to send it back but this is crazy with two different computers having the same problem occur Any help is appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 82.13%

Hello,

I'm having the same problem, however, after following the directions, I'm unable to locate "run" at the start menu. Most of my desktop icons and items that are normally in the start menu are missing.

Please help.

Thank you,
Arlene

A:Missing Desktop Icons and start menu items

Hello i_need_help and welcome to BC

Sorry about the delayed response. Because your post was in someone else's thread, no-one noticed it.

In order to assist you, we need more information.

What is your operating system: Windows XP, Vista, etc.?

What security programs do you have installed? Please name them.

What specifically have you tried to resolve your problem?

Are you experiencing any issues besides the missing desktop and start menu items? If so, please describe them: pop-ups, redirects, etc. Please provide as much detail as possible.

Orange Blossom

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/157719/missing-desktop-icons-and-start-menu-items/
Relevancy 82.13%

Just returned to my (I know I shouldn't be using it still.....but) Win XP computer following a day's absence.

I got a message that the updated Malware Bytes program couldn't install [something which I didn't get the gist of] did I want to restart and try again?  

I did that and after a reboot, I had no desktop icons, no start menu and no task bar.

I do not have the OS disk, nor do I have a restore disk. about the only thing I can do is stay online!

...oh and ask for help at this point.

Thanks to anyone who can assist me.

biddlebanks

A:all desktop icons, start menu, task bar is missing from Win XP

Hello, and Welcome

At the blank desktop presss Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up Task Manager. Select File > New Task (Run) in the menu bar. Type explorer.exe then press okay. Does the start menu come back?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/556719/all-desktop-icons-start-menu-task-bar-is-missing-from-win-xp/
Relevancy 82.13%

Hi everyone,

Lately i've having issues with my computer (Windows XP Professional SP 2, Sony VAIO). The startup is normal until I log into my account, computer slows down and in the end nothing shows up, no desktop icons and even the task bar at the bottom disappears. However, I can ctrl-alt-del and log out of my account and when I log in a second time, everything is back up and running. Then, I go to start menu and for example I click on my pictures, the computer freezes again and I have to reboot. (if i dont click on start menu and instead go on the internet, everything is normal)

I did some research and im not sure if it has anything to do with explorer.exe error or just my hard drive is not working properly, if anyone have an idea please let me know! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks David.

Relevancy 82.13%

I don t know much about computers but I do know I have windows xp and my taskbar desktop icons and my start menu are missing I had to go to task manager to run my internet browser I tried to use f and go into safe mode System restor didn t work Could someone be so kind menu Desktop missing icons,Taskbar,Start as to tell me how I fix this Is there any other info you need about my computer ask I ran hijack this This is what I got Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer Desktop icons,Taskbar,Start menu missing v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Desktop icons,Taskbar,Start menu missing WINDOWS system spoolsv exe c documents and settings guest s my documents ape escape pspshuffle psp shuffle pspshuffleindexer exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Linksys Wireless-G PCI Wireless Network Monitor WLService exe C Program Files Linksys Wireless-G PCI Wireless Network Monitor WMP Gv exe C WINDOWS Desktop icons,Taskbar,Start menu missing system wscntfy exe C Program Files Opera Opera opera exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar res C DOCUME ADMINI MIC LOCALS Temp se dll space html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar res C DOCUME ADMINI MIC LOCALS Temp se dll space html R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant about blank R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search Default about blank R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main HomeOldSP about blank R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main HomeOldSP about blank R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title iLLUSiON R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - Default URLSearchHook is missing O - BHO Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - EFB- B - ECA - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO DriveLetterAccess - CA D E- - CF- E - - C WINDOWS system dla tfswshx dll O - BHO no name - F EE -BE A- D -A E- F C - no file O - BHO no name - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - no file O - Toolbar no name - C B - - d - B - A CD F - no file O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - HKLM Run IMJPMIG quot C WINDOWS IME imjp IMJPMIG EXE quot Spoil RemAdvDef Migration O - HKLM Run PHIME ASync C WINDOWS system IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE SYNC O - HKLM Run PHIME A C WINDOWS system IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE IMEName O - HKLM Run IgfxTray C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run CoolSwitch C WINDOWS system taskswitch exe O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe O - HKLM Run MCUpdateExe C PROGRA McAfee com Agent mcupdate exe O - HKLM Run KernelFaultCheck systemroot system dumprep -k O - HKLM Run HP Software Update quot C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe quot O - HKLM Run HP Component Manager quot C Program Files HP hpcoretech hpcmpmgr exe quot O - HKLM Run IMEKRMIG C WINDOWS ime imkr IMEKRMIG EXE O - HKLM Run MSPY C WINDOWS system IME PINTLGNT ImScInst exe SYNC O - HKLM Run SRFirstRun rundll srclient dll CreateFirstRunRp O - HKLM Run dla C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exe O - HKLM Run ISUSPM Startup C PROGRA COMMON INSTAL UPDATE ISUSPM exe -startup O - HKLM Run ISUSScheduler quot C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe quot -start O - HKLM Run DeskMateAutoUpda... Read more

Relevancy 82.13%

Hi I'm going to apologize before hand because I am not a computer person so if I don't use the right terminology sorry I have a HP laptop running Windows So a while ago my laptop got icons Start b/c of virus & missing taskbar menu the SMART HDD virus All the icons on Start menu & taskbar icons missing b/c of virus my desktop were made hidden Start menu & taskbar icons missing b/c of virus as well as in Start menu & taskbar icons missing b/c of virus my Start Menu and the pinned items in my taskbar Luckily I was able to follow the instructions at this link http www bleepingcomputer com virus-removal remove-smart-hdd and was able to get rid of the the virus-thing last night I also did this http www smartestcomputing us com topic -how-to-restore-start-menu-and-files-hiddendeleted-by-a-virus as the folders in the Start Menu in All Programs kept showing up as empty Anyways that is all fixed now and the folders are fine Only thing is that the Start Menu is still missing the Programs Folders on the right side - like where it usually says Documents Control Panel Pictures etc The only one there is Computer Also all the things I had pinned to my Task bar are no longer there And anything I do pin doesn't show up If someone could help me I would reallllllly appreciate it I'm good with computers but I don't know like the big words you guys use or stuff like that so if you could make it a little bit more simpler and descriptive that would be awesome -Jasmine

A:Start menu & taskbar icons missing b/c of virus

Only thing is that the Start Menu is still missing the Programs/Folders on the right side - like where it usually says "Documents," "Control Panel," "Pictures," etc. The only one there is Computer.

What about the programs folders? Please expand it and let us know if you find icons and files under each startmenu folder.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/489335/start-menu-taskbar-icons-missing-bc-of-virus/
Relevancy 82.13%

I have been trying to get these back after removing a virus that I think change my computer. I think the virus is gone but I cant get my programs in start menu and desktop icons back...PLEASE HELP

A:Programs in start menu and desktop icons missing

Please run SFC (System File Checker) Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System FilesNOTE for Vista/WIN 7 users..The command needs to be run from an Elevated Command Prompt.Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'You will need your operating system CD handy.Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESCThen click File.. then New Task(Run)In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /Click OKLet it run and insert the CD when asked.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/410682/programs-in-start-menu-and-desktop-icons-missing/
Relevancy 82.13%

Previously I posted below message to quot Windows NT XP quot start missing. task bar menu, and icons is desktop but http forums techguy org member php userid Valis advised me to post it here so here you go Hello When I log in to my XP home - laptop in regular and safe mode I am unable to see start menu desktop icons however wallpaper is there and mouse arrow is active and task bar is missing Also pop up the message wininet dll is missing twice I got that dll file by going through Ctrl Alt del gt run task gt fire-fox exe from http www dll-files com dllindex d s start menu, desktop icons and task bar is missing. shtml wininet Now I am able to log in safe mode and can see all desktop icons start button and task bar but still I am unable to get all those in regular mode Meanwhile my Norton told me that computer has Bloodhound W EP virus but unable to fix it Also I found this http forums techguy org showthrea amp page amp pp Very similar to my issue So I did this sfc scannow but no luck Registry fix http www kellys-korner-xp com xp tweaks htm but no luck Now I am planning to do this Reapir Install http www michaelstevenstech com XPrepairinstall htm I also attempted to run online virus scan but no luck as they are not supporting FireFox My IE is not working after this problem And yeah when I tried to run this systemroot restore rstrui exe system restore window pop ups and disappear Now I need your help before I do anything Here is my hijack log Thanks in advance for all your time and help Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system S EvMon exe C WINDOWS system ZCfgSvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SNDSrvc exe C WINDOWS system XConfig exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccProxy exe C Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe C WINDOWS system RegSrvc exe C PROGRA Dantz RETROS wdsvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared Security Center SymWSC exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C WINDOWS system WDBtnMgr exe C PROGRA BILLPS WINPAT WinPatrol exe C Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktop exe C Program Files Digital Line Detect DLG exe C Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktopIndex exe C Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktopCrawl exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal Ad-Aware exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C WINDOWS system taskmgr exe C Program Files Hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www dell me com mywaybiz R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www gmail com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www dell me com mywaybiz R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http www dell me com mywaybiz O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - B CA - A - D -A DF- BB - no file O - BHO DriveLetterAccess - CA D E- - CF- E - - C WINDOWS system dla tfswshx dll O - BHO Web assistant - ECB - F - bbc- D- DDF E - C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared AdBlocking NISShExt dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - C Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - BHO no name - FDD B - D - ffb- - B AD ACC - no file O - Toolbar Web assi... Read more

Relevancy 82.13%

I have tried to run Menu Desktop Taskbar Start Missing and Icons the Kelly Tweaks on the desktop icons and start menu I can restart the Missing Desktop Icons and Start Menu Taskbar machine IBM R laptop but it always goes to a complete blank desktop other than the backgroudn Using Ctrl-Alt-Del I can get the explorer to open but it closes within a minute I am able to execute programs and run IE as such I am using this machine now to generat this topic I am at a loss I though hijack had an auto-clean mode but I can't remember how to do this I hope this is enough Below is the DDS report and I have attached the report as well Thanks for your help DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by jhorne at on Mon Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT - AV Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition On-access scanning enabled Updated Running Processes C WINDOWS System ibmpmsvc exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunch svchost exe C Program Files Windows Defender MsMpEng exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcs C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe svchost exe svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SPBBC SPBBCSvc exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Aptify Services Object Repository AptifyObjectRepositoryService exe C Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate ALUSchedulerSvc exe C WINDOWS system cisvc exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus DefWatch exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k HPZ C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k HPZ C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exe c program files verizon wireless venturi Client ventc exe c Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared Security Center SymWSC exe C Program Files Windows Home Server WHSConnector exe C WINDOWS system cidaemon exe C WINDOWS system cidaemon exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system TpShocks exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat Acrotray exe C WINDOWS LOGI MWX EXE C Program Files Common Files Macrovision Shared FLEXnet Publisher FNPLicensingService exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLLoginProxy exe C WINDOWS system notepad exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C WINDOWS system taskmgr exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Documents and Settings jhorne HORNEJ-CONF- Local Settings Temporary Internet Files Content IE P NQ WP dds scr Pseudo HJT Report uSearch Page hxxp www google com uStart Page hxxp www cnn com uSearch Bar hxxp www google com ie uSearchAssistant hxxp www google com ie uSearchURL Default hxxp www google com search q s mSearchAssistant hxxp www google com ie uURLSearchHooks Yahoo Toolbar ef bd -c fb- d - f- d f - c program files yahoo companion installs cpn yt dll BHO amp Yahoo Toolbar Helper d -c f - efb- b - eca - c program files yahoo companion installs cpn yt dll BHO NoExplorer - No File BHO HP Print Enhancer c e- - -bf - c - c program files hp digital imaging smart web printing hpswp printenhancer dll BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper e f-c d - d -b d- b d be b - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelper dll BHO f ed- b- f - e -e f dbf - c windows system urqOEuSk dll BHO d cb -c cd- c f-bfdc- b afbdc c - c windows system mlJBULfg dll BHO SSVHelper Class bb-d f - c-b eb-d daf d d - c program files java jre bin ssv dll BHO E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - No File BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper d - c - abf- ecc- c - c program files common files microsoft shared windows live WindowsLiveLogin dll BHO BrowserHelper Class a c - ee - ddd- -f a a - c prog... Read more

A:Missing Desktop Icons and Start Menu Taskbar

Hello TitliestManWelcome to BleepingComputer ========================Please download DDS and save it to your desktop.Disable any script blocking protection Double click dds.scr to run the tool. When done, DDS.txt will open. Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan. Save both reports to your desktop.---------------------------------------------------Please include the contents of the following in your next reply:DDS.txtAttach.txt. ================Download the GMER Rootkit Scanner. Unzip it to your Desktop.Before scanning, make sure all other running programs are closed and no other actions like a scheduled antivirus scan will occur while the scan is being performed. Do not use your computer for anything else during the scan.Double-click gmer.exe. The program will begin to run.**Caution**These types of scans can produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<--- ROOKIT" entries unless advised!If possible rootkit activity is found, you will be asked if you would like to perform a full scan.Click NOIn the right panel, you will see a bunch of boxes that have been checked ... leave everything checked and ensure the Show all box is un-checked.Now click the Scan button.
Once the scan is complete, you may receive another notice about rootkit activity.Click OK.GMER will produce a log. Click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "GMER.txt" Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop.Post the contents of GMER.txt in your next reply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/196550/missing-desktop-icons-and-start-menu-taskbar/
Relevancy 82.13%

Hello When I log in to my XP home - laptop in regular and safe mode I am unable to see start menu desktop icons however wallpaper is there and mouse arrow is active and task bar is missing Also pop up the message wininet dll is missing twice I got that dll file by going through Ctrl Alt del gt run task gt fire-fox exe from http www dll-files com dllindex dll-files shtml wininet Now I am able to log in safe is task desktop bar icons start and menu, missing. mode and can see all desktop icons start button and task bar but still I am unable start menu, desktop icons and task bar is missing. to get all those in regular mode Meanwhile my Norton told me that computer has Bloodhound W EP virus but unable to fix it Also I found this http forums techguy org showthread php t amp page amp pp start menu, desktop icons and task bar is missing. Very similar to my issue So I did this sfc scannow but no luck Registry fix http www kellys-korner-xp com xp tweaks htm but no luck Now I am planning to do this Reapir Install http www michaelstevenstech com XPrepairinstall htm I also attempted to run online virus scan but no luck as they are not supporting FireFox My IE is not working after this problem And yeah when I tried to run this systemroot restore rstrui exe system restore window pop ups and disappear Now I need your help before I do anything Here is my hijack log Thanks in advance for all your time and help Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system S EvMon exe C WINDOWS system ZCfgSvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SNDSrvc exe C WINDOWS system XConfig exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccProxy exe C Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe C WINDOWS system RegSrvc exe C PROGRA Dantz RETROS wdsvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared Security Center SymWSC exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C WINDOWS system WDBtnMgr exe C PROGRA BILLPS WINPAT WinPatrol exe C Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktop exe C Program Files Digital Line Detect DLG exe C Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktopIndex exe C Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktopCrawl exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal Ad-Aware exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C WINDOWS system taskmgr exe C Program Files Hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www dell me com mywaybiz R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www gmail com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www dell me com mywaybiz R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http www dell me com mywaybiz O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - B CA - A - D -A DF- BB - no file O - BHO DriveLetterAccess - CA D E- - CF- E - - C WINDOWS system dla tfswshx dll O - BHO Web assistant - ECB - F - bbc- D- DDF E - C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared AdBlocking NISShExt dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - C Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - BHO no name - FDD B - D - ffb- - B AD ACC - no file O - Toolbar Web assistant - B EAC - D - b e- B -A C A A - C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared AdBlocki... Read more

Relevancy 81.27%

Hi all Have seen two others with similar issues post on this board today here and here but I figured I would seek advice too just in case this bug is tricky and varies from computer to computer Essentially was going about my normal day when the computer brought up probably - identical pop-ups that read quot A Write command during the test has failed to complete quot In addition My Computer Internet Explorer Mozilla Firefox and a few more icons disappeared and my Start Menu only shows ImgBurn - no other programs no windows word links Computer Menu/Desktop SMART Missing Scareware, Start HDD Icons Documents Control Panel etc SMART HDD Scareware, Missing Start Menu/Desktop Icons After these pop-ups appear S M A R T HDD which appears on the desktop as smart HDD pops up and scans and shows a variety of intimidating messages And asks you to buy the software to SMART HDD Scareware, Missing Start Menu/Desktop Icons fix it Anyhow I can open task manager having copied and pasted it to the desktop and renamed it Haven t been able to run MBAM outside of safe mode yet In safe mode it did find two errors that I corrected - registry errors hiding quot My Computer quot and another I can t recall I m rerunning SMART HDD Scareware, Missing Start Menu/Desktop Icons it now with updated databases with a full scan - it found Trojan FakeMS PUM Hijack StartMenu x Also running ESET Online Scanner Will see if that turns up anything As of yet though a restart suggests the removal of Trojan FakeMS didn t really fix anything Thank you in advance for your help

A:SMART HDD Scareware, Missing Start Menu/Desktop Icons

Hi,After performing these scans, enter the results in your next post and also update me on the status of the PC.Note: You may have to perform some or all of the following in Safe Mode With Networking, depending on if you have internet access while in the normal Windows environment.================================================================================Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here.Save it to your Desktop.Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.================================================================================Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware FreeDouble-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use SUPERAntiSpyware to scan and remove malware from your computer Guide.An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.If it will not start, go to Start > All Prgrams > SUPERAntiSpyware and click on Alternate Start.If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all other options as they are set):Close browsers before scanning.Scan for tracking cookies.Terminate memory threats before quarantining.Click the "Close" button to leave the Control Center screen.Back on the main screen, under "Select Scan Type" check the box for Complete Scan.If your computer is badly infected, be sure to check the box next to Enable Rescue Scan (Highly Infected Systems ONLY).Click the Scan your computer... button.After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.To retrieve the scan log after reboot, launch SUPERAntiSpyware again.Click the View Scan Logs button at the bottom. This will open the Scanner Logs Window.Click on the log to highlight it and then click on View Selected Log to open it.Copy and paste the scan log results in your next reply.-- Some types of malware will disable security tools. If SUPERAntiSpyware will not install, please refer to these instructions for using the SUPERAntiSpyware Installer. If SUPERAntiSpyware is already installed but will not run, then follow the instructions for using RUNSAS.EXE to launch the program. ================================================================================Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.Important!! When you save the mbam-setup file, rename it to something random (such as 123abc.exe) before beginning the download.Malwarebytes may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the cha... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/448228/smart-hdd-scareware-missing-start-menudesktop-icons/
Relevancy 81.27%

Could I get the best and brightest Windows OS knowledgeable members over to the gaming thread please Thanks I have reported it and others on the Nvidia forums Doesn't seem to happen for light gaming for minutes Windows Missing After Start Gaming Icons/Tiles Menu 10 or so and of course won't happen after playing solitaire but after heavy gaming Battlefield Hardline the free Star Wars beta for minutes or so after exiting most of the start menu is often blank Windows 10 Start Menu Icons/Tiles Missing After Gaming Takes a reboot to get it back I do Windows 10 Start Menu Icons/Tiles Missing After Gaming not believe it's corruption issues on my OS or hardware issues Things I've done SFC scannow no issues Ran this quot Get-appxpackage -all shellexperience -packagetype bundle add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode installlocation appxmetadata appxbundlemanifest xml to reregister icons Did a rebuild of the icon cache Did extensive memory tests - all passed Turned off quot game mode quot in Antivirus I'm no expert but logic tells me it's how the graphic drivers are managing memory during gaming and possibly allocating resources or not to certain tasks I do not want to do a clean install of Windows as a prayer From what I see Windows is operating fine and I don't want to have to download significant GIGS of games again for a clean install that might likely not fix the issue I'm trying to understand what the issues is likely video drivers or how they are working with the Frostbite engine EA games

A:Windows 10 Start Menu Icons/Tiles Missing After Gaming

I have the same issue from time to time. I haven't been able to find an answer, but I've reported it to both Windows Feedback and to Nvidia.

http://www.tenforums.com/gaming/25860-windows-10-start-menu-icons-tiles-missing-after-gaming.html
Relevancy 81.27%

You guys Rock!!! You helped me fix my work PC today and one of my coworkers asked me to post this for him regarding his home PC.

He has Win2000 and lost all his desktop icons, start menu and task bar. He has to do a ctrl-alt-delete to do anything.

All of the previous fixes here appear to be for XP machines.

Any advice I can pass along?

Thanks again for the help.

A:Win2000 Start menu, desktop icons and taskbar missing

I moved this to the proper forum, perhaps you'll get more help here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win2000-start-menu-desktop-icons-and-taskbar-missing.454739/
Relevancy 81.27%

Hey I m just gonna copy To Start Dll, Etc Messed Menu, No Load Icons, Up/missing Failed this post I made elsewhere I think it about follows what Failed To Load Dll, No Start Menu, Messed Up/missing Icons, Etc you guys want in a problem post I tried to search if it was answered already but your search wasnt working so I gave up Thanks in advance My computer recently had a bit of a meltdown and I ended up playing around a little in the Recovery Console and running a chkdsk I also attempted to copy a file on my desktop to an external hard drive from RC but found out I couldnt and gave up The check disk fixed a little bit namely an error that my computer could not start because C Windows system config system was deleted or corrupt or something My computer now starts up but when it does I get these problems quot all the icons on my desktop looks weird and everything that s not on my desktop has no icon whatsoever The quot Start quot button on the status bar is gone so I cannot click quot Start quot then choose quot Admin Tools quot to do a system restore If I need to turn off the computer I have to press the power off button because again the Start button has disappeared also I cannot use the task manager even if I press quot alt-ctl-del quot quot When I start up my computer I get a quot failed to load dll quot error I can start some programs and peripheral devices work but not exactly right I have to access them from My Computer I also get an error when I try to run most any of my programs The error may be slightly different for different programs but it always says something to the effect of quot this could not be started because it has not been configured properly try reinstalling it quot I have a Dell XPS Gen and I am running Windows XP Pro SP I just did a repair installation so all my System Restore points are gone I didnt think of that until after the repair Thank you for your help

A:Failed To Load Dll, No Start Menu, Messed Up/missing Icons, Etc

I would try running the System File Checker.How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System FilesYou may need to press Ctrl+alt+Delete > Task Manager > File > New Task (Run...) then type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/150637/failed-to-load-dll-no-start-menu-messed-upmissing-icons-etc/
Relevancy 81.27%

ALL of my icons are gone; even my picture previews are gone. And the start menu won't open.

I have:Rebooted several times
Updated everything possible
Scanned for viruses and didn't find any
Rebooted from Safe Mode
Restored to several different points
Showed and then hide file extensions
Yelled and screamed and cried

Everything still works and I have not lost anything that I can tell. I have searched the web multiple times and have tried everything that I have found, but nothing has worked. Is there anything that perhaps I haven't tried?

Thanks!

A:Start menu not opening and all icons and picture previews missing

Welcome to the Seven Forums.

Please try this scan...
What is Windows Defender Offline?
...since a number of infections can hide from traditional antivirus/anti-malware software.

When you say the the start menu will not open - do you see an empty start menu or absolutely nothing happens when you click on the Start orb/button?

If you think a screenshot will help convey info to us - here is how to upload them as inline images or just attachments:
Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/294079-start-menu-not-opening-all-icons-picture-previews-missing.html
Relevancy 81.27%

Hi everyone

I am searching this problem I am having over the last few days. It is very very frustrating now.
I have Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 32 bit
My Desktop Icons and Start Up Task Bar are missing

I have tried everything -
Task Manager - Type explorer.exe
Check regedit but didnt find anything there
Run Malwarebyte NO use
Used HiJackthis NO use

After Windows boot and splash, all I get is a black screen with Explorer Window showing C D E Drives.

Then after searching everywhere possible in the internet, I had one suspicion. In Control Panel, when I click Task Bar and Menu, and Folder Option Icon, they DO Not Open. All others do open. I think they are disabled there in Task Bar and Menu by Virus??

I have lot of work pending on my Laptop and this is so frustrating now... please HELP any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for your time
Rake

A:Missing Desktop Icons and Start up Menu Task Bar in Windows 7 - HELP!

Try this SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/344770-missing-desktop-icons-start-up-menu-task-bar-windows-7-help.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Some Office 2010 icons are missing in quick launch and start menu and only generics show. The correct icon is displayed in the properties sheet but are not displayed correctly on the menu and taskbar.

I did follow the thread to leave Office 2007 on the machine and separated the files in the start menu structure once the install was done.

The menu looks like the attached jpg. I was hoping not to reinstall office but will have to if I can't solve it.

Thanks for any help.

A:Office 2010 icons missing in quick launch and start menu

Go to start button/all programs/MSOffice/select the one at a time and pin to taskbar.
I hope I am understanding your question if not post back and we will get it fixed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/109327-office-2010-icons-missing-quick-launch-start-menu.html
Relevancy 80.41%

This morning when searching google, I started noticing that my cursor would jump around in the search bar as I was typing, then started randomly highlighting words and deleting them.  Also noticed highlighting everywhere the cursor went and windows popping up randomly. So I rebooted.

Then desktop icons would open when cursor was placed over the icon. No clicking was performed.  Start menu icon flashes on and off quickly so that I am not able click anything. Rebooted again.

This time desktop icons missing but taskbar still there.  The start menu still flashing. As a moved the cursor across screen it would drag and form boxes.....don't know if I am saying this one correctly.

Rebooted in Safe Mode....ran Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware programs.....results came back that there were no infections.

Need help please.....I have two computers so I am able to download removal tools to a CD if necessary.

Thanks

Tracy

A:Desktop icons missing, start menu flashes, random highlighting

Sounds like a mouse issue. Try a different one, if one is available. If not, borrow a friends.

I think it's performing click commands on it's own.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/522350/desktop-icons-missing-start-menu-flashes-random-highlighting/
Relevancy 80.41%

so i used about 25 different programs, including combofix, and i can't find any more remnants of the virus. i used unhide and a program called usbshow, and all of my menus and programs are no longer hidden. the problem is only that the actual shortcut icons are still missing. before i spend another 3 hours making all new shortcuts, i wanted to see if anybody here knew anything that could help. i you need me to attach logs or reports i have no problem with that.

i searched over a dozen similar topics, and the ones that were successfully completed never said how they got the icons to show back up.

thanks a bunch..

A:Windows Recovery Virus Eliminated But Start Menu Icons Are Still Missing

Let's see, if we can find your shortcuts...Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.Download Mirror #1Download Mirror #264-bit users go HEREDouble-click SystemLook.exe to run it.Vista\Win 7 users:: Right click on SystemLook.exe, click Run As AdministratorCopy the content of the following box into the main textfield:

:folder
%Temp%\smtmp\4
%Temp%\smtmp\2
%Temp%\smtmp\1

Click the Look button to start the scan.When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/396830/windows-recovery-virus-eliminated-but-start-menu-icons-are-still-missing/
Relevancy 79.55%

Hey there and many thanks in advance if you can help The problem is as above - but not before i get boxes popping up on the machine restart stating in order lsass exe - Entry Point Not Found The procedure entry point CxxFrameHandler could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt dll net exe - Menu Icons Start and Missing Desktop Newbie Seeking Taskbar, - Desperate Help Entry Point Not Found The procedure entry point CxxFrameHandler could not be Missing Taskbar, Start Menu and Desktop Icons - Desperate Newbie Seeking Help located in the dynamic link library msvcrt dll net exe - Entry Point Not Found The procedure entry point CxxFrameHandler could not be Missing Taskbar, Start Menu and Desktop Icons - Desperate Newbie Seeking Help located in the dynamic link library msvcrt dll userinit exe - Entry Point Not Found The procedure entry point CxxFrameHandler could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt dll explorer exe - Entry Point Not Found The procedure entry point CxxFrameHandler could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt dll This entry point not found Missing Taskbar, Start Menu and Desktop Icons - Desperate Newbie Seeking Help message comes up on almost every occasion i try to run something through task manager after restart As i say I'm not anywhere close to knowing what i'm supposed to do but i did read that problems with lsass exe indicates the presence of a trojan hence posting here which led me to the combofix program Any kind of assistance would be greatly appreciated ComboFix - - - Stuart - NTFSx Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT Running from c documents and settings Stuart My Documents Downloads ComboFix exe AV BullGuard Antivirus On-access scanning disabled Outdated A BB - EDF- FDC-A A - A FA FW BullGuard Firewall disabled AEF CB - B - E -AF -D E B FA FW Spy Sweeper disabled - A - DD-BADD-A CABCDEAE Other Deletions c windows system tmp dll Files Created from - - to - - - - - - -------- d-----w c program files MSSOAP - - - - ----a-w c windows system drivers pwipf sys - - - - -------- d-----w c windows LastGood - - - - -------- d-----w c documents and settings LocalService Application Data Webroot - - - - ----a-w c windows WRSetup dll - - - - -------- d-----w c documents and settings Stuart Application Data Webroot - - - - -------- d-----w c documents and settings All Users Application Data Webroot - - - - -------- d-----w c program files Webroot - - - - -------- d-----w c program files RegCure - - - - -------- d-----w c documents and settings Stuart Application Data Uniblue - - - - -------- d-----w c program files Uniblue - - - - -------- dc-h--w c documents and settings All Users Application Data D BDA - F - -B - A E ABDE - - - - -------- d-----w c program files CCleaner - - - - -------- d-----w c program files TGTSoft - - - - -c--a-w c windows system dllcache xrxwiadr dll - - - - -c--a-w c windows system dllcache xrxwbtmp dll - - - - -c--a-w c windows system dllcache xrxscnui dll - - - - -c--a-w c windows system dllcache xrxftplt exe - - - - -c--a-w c windows system dllcache xrxflnch exe - - - - -c--a-w c windows system dllcache xlog exe - - - - -c--a-w c windows system dllcache xem n sys - - - - -c--a-w c windows system dllcache wvchntxx sys - - - - -c--a-w c windows system dllcache wstcodec sys - - - - -c--a-w c windows system dllcache wsiintxx sys - - - - -c--a-w c windows system dllcache wshirda dll - - - - -c--a-w c windows system dllcache wmiacpi sys - - - - -c--a-w c windows system dllcache vpctcom sys - - - - -c--a-w c windows system dllcache umaxp dll - - - - -c--a-w c windows system dllcache tjisdn sys - - - - -c--a-w c windows system dllcache sw effct dll - - - - -c--a-w c windows system dllcache smiminib sys - - - - -c--a-w c windows system dllcache smidispb dll - - - - -c--a-w c windows system dllcache sgsmusb sys - - - - -c--a-w c windows system dllcache sgsmld sys - - - - -c--a-w c windows system dllcache sgiulnt sys - - - - -c--a-w c windows system dllcache sgiul d... Read more

A:Missing Taskbar, Start Menu and Desktop Icons - Desperate Newbie Seeking Help

Hello and welcome to TSF.

As seen in Post #2 of our sticky topic 'NEW INSTRUCTIONS Read this Before Posting For Malware Removal Help'

Quote:

Why we don't ask you to run ComboFix from the onset

As stated by the author of ComboFix:

ComboFix is a very powerful tool which when improperly used may render your machine to a doorstop.

We first need to verify if there's any rootkits present and how they could affect our tools. DDS & GMER are preliminary scans. We use their logs to map our strategy for attack.

With these logs we can determine the infections present & decide whether to deploy ComboFix.

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link given below, before posting for assistance. Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new topic, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/missing-taskbar-start-menu-and-desktop-icons-desperate-newbie-seeking-help-377895.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hello My name is Daniel The PC that I am having problems with is Windows Hard With Virus(es), Missing, Icons Start Disappeared Infected Menu Drives Xp Just recently I have downloaded a number of files online and as a direct result of that I am very sure that I am now infected with dangerous viruses I am completely confused of what to Infected With Virus(es), Start Menu Icons Missing, Hard Drives Disappeared do so please help me I am currently using a different computer to Infected With Virus(es), Start Menu Icons Missing, Hard Drives Disappeared type this entry Here are the specific problems that I have encountered An error message Windows Security Alert constantly appears saying quot Windows has detected an Internet attack attempt Somebody s trying to infect your PC with spyware or harmful viruses Run full system scan now to protect your PC from Internet attacks hijacking attempts and spyware Click here to download spyware remover for total protection quot Then there is the options OK and Cancel Every now and then windows internet explorer opens a window with the URL www safewebnavigate--- com index php sid amp aid amp said amp pn amp pid Another error message Spyware Alert that says quot Security Warning Worm Win NetBooster detected on your machine This virus is distributed via the Internet through e-mail and Active-X objects The Infected With Virus(es), Start Menu Icons Missing, Hard Drives Disappeared worm has its own SMTP engine which means it gathers e-mails from your local computer and re-distributes itself In worst cases this worm can allow attackers to access your computer stealing passwords and personal data This process should be removed from your system Type Virus System Affected Windows NT ME XPVista Security Risk - Recommendations Click Yes to remove it from your PC immediately quot Then there are options Yes and No After getting the virus icons appeared on my desktop Malware Defender Protect Your Privacy and System Error Fixer I have tried to delete this off of my desktop but each time i restart my computer it reappears again So I attempted to delete it using the control panel but as I have said before I cannot find the control panel anywhere and is therefore impossible with my knowledge Using other methods I was able to open My Computer However there were absolute no hard drives listed - no C no D etc At this point I decided to download virus removal programs but then I realized that my internet had stopped working ever since I got the virus I cannot reconnect to the wireless router even this I have checked and assured that it is completely fine I am using this laptop with the internet currently Having no access to internet with that laptop I decided to reformat the computer completely Unfortunately in the middle of the reformatting process specifically the Recovery Console an error appears saying quot Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer Setup cannot continue quot Seeing as how I have no internet access with the laptop and have no idea of how to find my hard drives and reformat my computer I am completely helpless and in great need of technical assistance PLEASE help me for I need this laptop in use as soon as possible Rather than clean my laptop if it is still possible please give me advice on how I can finish this reformatting process Thank you so very much for your time and trouble

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/172785/infected-with-viruses-start-menu-icons-missing-hard-drives-disappeared/
Relevancy 78.69%

I have gotten the Fake Anti Virus 2011,
Have followed the directions from (Bleeping Computers) web site using, RKILL, Malware Bytes and Security essentials. When i am finished my icons on the descktop were gone, (Fixed them with "properties, advanced aand unclicking hidden files" but I still have no Icons in the all programs menu in the start menu except those that i have loaded since the fix. (PSI)
any ideas?

A:Missing Program Icons in Start menu. All Programs after fake anti virus 2011

What else is currently wrong with the system?

Any indication that your malware problems still exist?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/388636/missing-program-icons-in-start-menu-all-programs-after-fake-anti-virus-2011/
Relevancy 78.69%

I am missing the start menu taskbar icons and shortcuts charm bars clock and customize bad Start area bars, clock notification missing, charm menu, icons, when I click the customize notification area button nothing opens up I have Windows Server and DDS doesn't allow me to install it so here is my hijackthis log I have ran Malwarebytes Spybot ESET Trendmicro housecall all with no fixes I cant reinstall windows on a live web server so please help me fix this I basically have a blank background and an empty taskbar that doesnt do anything Start button doesnt work but I am able to do start R commands to pull up the Run screen CTRL ALT DEL just pulls up a blank blue screen from which I can no longer remote desktop connect to and have to shut down the server and turn it back on When I right click on the desktop and click sort by Name then all my desktop icons come back temporarily I also can not drag and drop things from a folder to the desktop yet I can Cut and Paste to the desktop If I try Start menu, icons, charm bars, clock missing, customize notification area bad to rearrange icons on the desktop it will not allow me to move them it just has that circle with the line through it icon for the mouse Unhide me came back with this which I thought could be relevant noactivedesktopchanges policy was found and deleted I am stuck so let me know what you can do Thank you - Russ - Here is the hijackthis log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Unknown Windows WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Program Files x Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware mbamgui exe C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files x Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware mbam exe C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Administrator Desktop HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL res iesetup dll SoftAdmin htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page https www google com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink p LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink p LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C Windows SysWOW blank htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName F - REG system ini UserInit userinit exe O - HKLM Run Popup C Program Files x MegaRAID Storage Manager MegaPopup Popup exe O - HKLM Run IAStorIcon C Program Files x Intel Intel reg Rapid Storage Technology IAStorIconLaunch exe C Program Files x Intel Intel reg Rapid Storage Technology IAStorIcon exe O - HKLM Run SDTray C Program Files x Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDTray exe O - HKCU Run NetMeter C Software Net Meter NetMeter beta exe O - Global Startup SuperDoctor III Client lnk O - Options group ACCELERATED GRAPHICS Accelerated graphics O - ESC Trusted Zone http view atdmt com O - ESC Trusted Zone http iweb dl sourceforge net O - ESC Trusted Zone http m webtrends com O - HKLM System CCS Services Tcpip C C A- - - D C- A CDA NameServer O - HKLM System CS Services Tcpip C C A- - - D C- A CDA NameServer O - HKLM System CS Services Tcpip C C A- - - D C- A CDA NameServer O - HKLM System CS Services Tcpip C C A- - - D C- A CDA NameServer O - Winlogon Notify SDWinLogon - SDWinLogon dll file missing O - Se... Read more

A:Start menu, icons, charm bars, clock missing, customize notification area bad

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.
We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.
To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:
*************************************************** In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/510291 <<< CLICK THIS LINK
If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.
***************************************************If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.A new DDS log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available. Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.
Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.
We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again: Download DDS by sUBs from the following link if you no longer have it available and save it to your destop.DDS.com Download LinkDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running. Notepad will open with the results. Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.
Information on A/V control can be found HERE.As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/510291/start-menu-icons-charm-bars-clock-missing-customize-notification-area-bad/
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi there. I was surfing the internet and suddenly about 30 windows popped up saying "System message - Write fault error. A write command during the test has failed to complete". Another window came up saying "System error. Hard disk failure detected. It's highly recommended to run complete HDD scan to prevent loss of personal files." The buttons given were "Scan and repair" and "Cancel and restart" I did not press either and have come here seeking help. Please advise as to what steps I can take. Thanks a million in advance

A:Windows xp "a write command during the test has failed to complete"Missing Start Menu/Desktop Display Icons

1) Boot your PC into safe mode.
2) Delete c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\temp\SoftwareUpdates.exe (do not double click/run it!)
3) Delete any suspect programs as c:\ProgramData\xxx.exe, i.e. rmIhrYfwFjUdy.exe or QFUDzzwTiL1aQy.exe. They had weird names, were launched from ProgramData, had no Description or CompanyName.
4) Empty the recycle bin.
5) Restart PC.
Think it will help you fix the problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/448515/windows-xp-a-write-command-during-the-test-has-failed-to-completemissing-start-menudesktop-display-icons/
Relevancy 76.54%

I prefer to keep my desktop clean, therefore I hide the icons. This is the first time that I did it with this pc - vista. Now needing the icons, I can't get them back. I right clicked on my desktop as I've done in the past and selected Show Desktop Icons, no go. So I shut it down, rebooted, still no show. How can I restore the icons? I'm using Vista 64 bit.

A:Solved: desk top icons missing

Just one of those quirks I guess. After posting this I went back to my desktop and they were there!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-desk-top-icons-missing.880605/
Relevancy 75.68%

I have a unit that every morning, after the users initial logon, has all icons and taskbar missing. when she reboots, everything's fine. What is causing icons to be missing until the pc is restarted?

Thanks,

Jimmie

Relevancy 75.25%

I have some sort of malware or trojan that causes my start menu and desktop to disappear Even after I go into the Task Manager Start disappearing? desk top and menu and run explorer exe it disappears again I have also been getting a lot of pop ups lately but I always close them I ran PC-Cillin twice it came up with TROJ SMALL the first time and Possible Obfus the second time I tried System Restore but it didn t fix it Any advice for fixing this problem would be much appreciated Here s my HJT log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System Start menu and desk top disappearing? svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh Start menu and desk top disappearing? exe C Program Files Trend Micro Antivirus Tmntsrv exe C Program Files Trend Micro Antivirus tmproxy exe C WINDOWS System MsPMSPSv exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe Start menu and desk top disappearing? C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page about blank R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale EN US amp c Q amp bd pavilion amp pf laptop O - HKLM Run SynTPLpr C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe O - HKLM Run SynTPEnh C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe O - HKLM Run IPHSend C Program Files Common Files AOL IPHSend IPHSend exe O - HKLM Run pccguide exe quot C Program Files Trend Micro Antivirus pccguide exe quot O - HKLM Run PCClient exe quot C Program Files Trend Micro Antivirus PCClient exe quot O - HKLM Run TM Outbreak Agent quot C Program Files Trend Micro Antivirus TMOAgent exe quot run O - HKLM Run D - F-F - E-ZN C windows system nkdsregm exe SKY O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run iTunesHelper quot C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe quot O - HKLM Run runner C WINDOWS mrofinu exe A B BBF C C AC FA C O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - HKCU Run AIM C Program Files AIM aim exe -cnetwait odl O - Startup Smart Desktop Calendar lnk C Program Files Smart Desktop Calendar SmartDesktopCalendar exe O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - value not set O - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java j re bin npjpi dll O - Extra Tools menuitem Sun Java Console - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java j re bin npjpi dll O - Extra button AIM - AC E - - d -BC D- B D A DE - C Program Files AIM aim exe O - Extra button Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - Extra Tools menuitem Windows Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - IERESET INF START PAGE URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale EN US amp c Q amp bd pavilion amp pf laptop O - DPF NDWCab - http www neededware com ndw cab O - DPF F B -B - DD- F - B ECC Facebook Photo Uploader Control - http upload facebook com controls FacebookPhotoUploader cab O - DPF DABFBF-D AB- FA- C -CC F DivXBrowserPlugin Object - ht... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/start-menu-and-desk-top-disappearing.654025/
Relevancy 74.82%

Subject says it. Just setting up new pc for my wife. Came with XP Home preinstalled but the start menu was the classic. Switched it to the XP start menu (which I've grown to like better) and My Computer, My Network Places and Internet Explorer icons were removed from the desktop. Only recycle bin remained. Switching back to classic puts them back again. Oddly enough, when I was saving a dowload to the desktop (while set up as XP) the My Computer, My Network Places showed in the save to box when pointing at the desktop.

A:Switch from Classic Start Menu to XP Start Menu removed desktop icons

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switch-from-classic-start-menu-to-xp-start-menu-removed-desktop-icons.93609/
Relevancy 74.82%

MOD EDIT: Moved to Am I InfectedI just removed (hopefully)Vista Antivirus 2012 from my laptop....The desk top icons are all there when the computer is in safe mode but when I boot up normally the desk top comes up but there are no icons showing. Shortly after i boot up it acts like the desk top items are going to come up but they never do.

A:Desk Top icons missing after removal of Antivirus 2012

Can you right click on the desktop? If yes go to VIEW and select SHOW desktop iconsif that doesnt workLaunch my computer.On top click on Organize-folders and search optionsClick on View tabCheckmark-Show hidden files and folders and click okIs your desktop icons visible now? Is your startmenu empty too?Let me know

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/438523/desk-top-icons-missing-after-removal-of-antivirus-2012/
Relevancy 74.39%

I have no task bar no desk top no start up menu how do I get these back nbsp I am I start have get menu, desk task bar, how I these no top no no up do back? running Windows and suddenly I have no task bar no desk top no start up menu nothing but the browser windoes that are open nbsp I do not recall doing anything to make this happen and I seriously want them back I have no task bar, no desk top no start up menu, how do I get these back? nbsp I do recall changing something when I was importing some photos and I was trying to make a change to them I could I have no task bar, no desk top no start up menu, how do I get these back? not as they were suddenly read only files something I had never encountered nbsp I thought I was changing my files not the computer nbsp That was the last thing I changed and I had no intention of changing anything on the computer nbsp Please help and remember I have NO start menu no task bar and no desk top and no wrench nbsp I have a task manager but it seems to be missing a lot nbsp I have either the windows task manager or the lenovo task manager not sure which and also the chrome task manager nbsp That is it everything I have tried thus far or found instructions for are for things that are not there nbsp Please can any one help nbsp

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0303b62c-d7b5-4611-a1ba-a1aea8bf3cf7/i-have-no-task-bar-no-desk-top-no-start-up-menu-how-do-i-get-these-back?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 71.38%

Ok, having some strange problems..

On one profile I'm missing the start menu. I can access task manager with CTRL+ALT+DELETE, but I don't get any user names for the process'

On another profile there is a start menu but I just get an hourglass when I mouse-over it.

Relevancy 70.52%

A couple of weeks ago well maybe days ago I turned on my computer to see that the desktop was nothing but the photograph background I usually see My icons were gone Taskbar Start Menu too I tried CTRL-ESC Didn t work I tried to run explorer exe Didn t work I can t even access Control Panel control exe I don t have malware or a virus though I did just do a big clean but only the speed of my computer improved I still have to run . :( . Major Problem! Menu, Start Icons, Bar, Task Menu Windows Right-click . No all my programs through Task Manager but I think the damage was probably done by a virus or trojan I ve tried the Fix on Kelly s Korner I ve tried looking at Microcoft s page for help but I can t find anything I even tried copying the explorer exe file from Major Windows Problem! No Start Menu, Task Bar, Icons, Right-click Menu . . . :( my machine at work and putting it in place of the other explorer file I kept the original though renamed it Nothing has worked I m fed up and don t want to have to do a clean install Can someone help me MissBigBlue

A:Major Windows Problem! No Start Menu, Task Bar, Icons, Right-click Menu . . . :(

Welcome to Bleeping Computer MissBigBlue,Which fix at kellys-korner did you try?Line #195 "Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar"http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm Or, Line #117 - Restore Taskbar and Start Menuhttp://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htmOr, Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm Can you get into Safe Mode?Then you could try a System Restore.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/90257/major-windows-problem-no-start-menu-task-bar-icons-right-click-menu/
Relevancy 67.08%

Can t access Outlook times out of ten the desktop is blank when the computer starts no icons anywhere just the desktop background When it does start sometimes it says can t find a drive on the network I don t think we have that A secure financial website says we have a on by No missing clock hijack start desktop, this icons posted icons virus but I ve run spybot and adaware and not No icons on desktop, start icons missing by clock hijack this posted found anything We have eTrust antivirus and it showed no problems Please help Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer No icons on desktop, start icons missing by clock hijack this posted v SP Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files Cisco Systems VPN Client cvpnd exe C Program Files CA eTrust Antivirus InoRpc exe C Program Files CA eTrust Antivirus InoRT exe C Program Files CA eTrust Antivirus InoTask exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system UAService exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files HP hpcoretech hpcmpmgr exe C PROGRA CA ETRUST realmon exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader reader sl exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqgalry exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www comcast net comcast html R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run HP Component Manager quot C Program Files HP hpcoretech hpcmpmgr exe quot O - HKLM Run Realtime Monitor C PROGRA CA ETRUST realmon exe -s O - HKLM Run ATIPTA C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe O - HKCU Run igndlm exe C Program Files IGN Download Manager dlm exe windowsstart startifwork O - HKCU Run swg C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe O - Global Startup Adobe Reader Speed Launch lnk C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader reader sl exe O - Global Startup HP Digital Imaging Monitor lnk C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exe O - Global Startup HP Image Zone Fast Start lnk C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqthb exe O - Extra button no name - DFB A - F - C -A - CAB FD A - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - Extra Tools menuitem Spybot - Search amp amp Destroy Configuration - DFB A - F - C -A - CAB FD A - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - Extra button no name - e e dd -d - - b -f ba - C WINDOWS Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe O - Extra Tools menuitem xpsp res dll - - e e dd -d - - b -f ba - C WINDOWS Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe O - Extra button Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - Extra Tools menuitem Windows Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - Plugin for spop C Program Files Internet Explorer Plugins NPDocBox dll O - DPF -C A- E-A -C C BBF Windows G... Read more

Relevancy 66.22%

Hello,

I am having a problem with my laptop (running Windows XP SP2 with AVG virus).

When I log into my user name, an error about nnlmk.exe pops up (can not access or have permission) and then my task bar/start menu and desk top icons vanish.

I can recover them briefly by going through Task Manager and running explorer.exe but then it cyclically appears and vanishes.

I have ran AVG and "repaired" some infected files as well as ran SpyBot/Adaware/Spyblaster.

I beleive this problem is very similar to that of this thread

http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...d-windows.html

but I can not physically delete nnlmn.exe since the explorer crashes too quickly for me to access it.

Thanks,

A:Desktop Icons and Start Menu vanish after start up

I am posting the Panda Scan results and DSS Log results.

< PANDA >

Incident Status Location

Spyware:Cookie/Advertising Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\pvuxdl7q.default\cookies.txt[.advertising.com/]
Spyware:Cookie/Mediaplex Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\pvuxdl7q.default\cookies.txt[.mediaplex.com/]
Spyware:Cookie/YieldManager Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\pvuxdl7q.default\cookies.txt[ad.yieldmanager.com/]

< / PANDA >

Deckard's System Scanner v20071014.68
Run by User on 2008-01-06 11:08:40
Computer is in Normal Mode.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- System Restore --------------------------------------------------------------

Successfully created a Deckard's System Scanner Restore Point.

-- Last 5 Restore Point(s) --
21: 2008-01-06 17:08:52 UTC - RP244 - Deckard's System Scanner Restore Point
20: 2008-01-06 01:36:57 UTC - RP243 - Restore Operation
19: 2008-01-06 01:19:52 UTC - RP242 - Last known good configuration
18: 2008-01-06 01:19:45 UTC - RP241 - System Checkpoint
17: 2008-01-06 01:19:45 UTC - RP240 - Software Distribution Service 3.0

-- First Restore Point --
1: 2008-01-06 01:19:39 UTC - RP224 - Installed Free Sticky Notes

Backed up registry hives.
Performed disk cleanup.

-- HijackThis Clone ------------------------------------------------------------

Emulating logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 2008-01-06 11:12:11
Platform: Windows XP Service Pack 2 (5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer (7.00.6000.16574)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\dss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = ftp=209.81.96.54:8080;http=209.81.96.54:8080;https=209.81.96.54:8080;socks=209.81.96.54:8080
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\In... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/desktop-icons-and-start-menu-vanish-after-start-up-209091.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Ok, there are multiple users on my computer from my family, so I am not the only one who uses it. I had a worm on my computer that I was trying to get rid of and im not much of a computer expert, but when I went to remove it I guess the program found and deleted anything that was infected which im assuming were some important programs because now on restart I dont even have a start menu, any icons, and when I try to Run programs it doesnt let me, the only thing I could get up was Internet Explorer. Is there anyway I could restore, or how should I go about fixing this?

Relevancy 66.22%

I have experienced a sudden problem starting programs The computer boots correctly and all desktop icons appear correctly But when I double click a desktop icon or start a program from the start menu I get a popup window displaying a list of programs and asking me which program I want to even menu desktop & appear icons though Programs start will not start use to start the application I select the correct program or browse to the appropriate exe file but still the application doesn t start This includes IE and Windows Messenger My virus scanner was about the only thing that I could start up and I did a system scan with Panda Anti-Virus but it didn t show anything substantial just some cookies Using my WinXP set up disk I ve tried to do a repair I guess reinstallation without reformatting the hard disk but after I entered the License Key the computer did a reboot and then stopped It is stuck on the XP splash screen and won t go any further I once let it run over night but Programs will not start even though desktop icons & start menu appear it was still frozen on the splash screen I even tried to repeat the repair process but that didn t work Automatic updates did download an update just before this problem started I think it was the day before the problems began I don t know what this update was and I m not sure it was SP system does have SP installed Considering that the computer freezes now when booting up is there anything that I can do short of reformatting the Hard Drive I also have another hard drive that I can use to install XP onto Is there any way that I can rescue the data from the old Hard Drive and transfer to new drive Thanks nbsp

A:Programs will not start even though desktop icons & start menu appear

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/programs-will-not-start-even-though-desktop-icons-start-menu-appear.718679/
Relevancy 65.79%

I recently had some malware Programs missing HDD icons and menu troubles Antivirus XP and some Trojans I'm pretty Programs menu and HDD icons missing sure that I got everything cleaned out using a combo of Windows Malware Removal Bitdefender and Malwarebytes The trouble now is that my C drive and DVD drive don't show up when I go to My Computer They are both in the Device Manager and if I type in C in Windows Explorer it will be there but the drive icons aren't there in My Computer Also the Programs menu on my Start Menu has disappeared Also when I go to the Windows Update website and try to update it continually says that there is a problem and can't continue It doesn't tell me what the problem is it just points me towards the FAQs Even so every time I shut down the computer it seems to be installing updates I have already cleaned up the malware cookies that the ActiveScan found but still have the problems Any ideas

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/programs-menu-and-hdd-icons-missing-285231.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi I recently downloaded and started using Spybot Now whenever I update any program on my computer it flashes up All Icons My Suddenly Most Menu Of Missing Is Programs boxes asking me if All Programs Menu Is Suddenly Missing Most Of My Icons I want to accept or deny a particular change So far I ve always accepted all changes Yesterday Windows did an automatic update Before I restarted the computer All Programs Menu Is Suddenly Missing Most Of My Icons I was All Programs Menu Is Suddenly Missing Most Of My Icons working on in Word and an quot accept or deny change quot box flashed up Unfortunately I was not looking at the screen at the time and I didn t realize that I was clicking quot deny quot The box disappeared just as I noticed it so I m not sure what it was asking I only caught a glimpse that it was something to do with the start menu Well sure enough I must have denied something important because now when I click quot all programs quot in the start menu I m missing most of my icons Instead of the nearly that I should have there s only seemingly random icons The other programs still seem to be there and can be accesses by going into the program files of my computer Is there any way I can get the menu back the way it was And can I disable that pop-up system in Spybot so it doesn t happen again I m running Windows XP and I have a high speed wireless connection Thanks Angie

A:All Programs Menu Is Suddenly Missing Most Of My Icons

Not sure, but I think that's the Teatimer function in Spybot

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/167201/all-programs-menu-is-suddenly-missing-most-of-my-icons/
Relevancy 64.93%

I got a virus this is not my computer but my boyfriends and he is livid with me I was reading something on yahoo and all of a sudden when I clicked on something things started popping up I purchased the full version of malwarebites cleaned a bunch of stuff Now whenever I try to restart the computer unless on is There icons no start menu it is in safe mode all I get is the background picture no icons but usually a box saying something about outlook express and the hourglass thing If I hit Ctrl alt delete NOTHING happens I did all the steps starting with updating to service pack that is in the before you post a hijack log BUT the virus is gone and I am left with a mess of a computer I tried to do a system restore but it will not let There is no icons on start menu me It says that I am not a system administrator even if I am logged in as the admin There is no icons on start menu Otherwise it also says that a system restore There is no icons on start menu is unable to be done What steps should I take It can t be that bad if everything is working in safe mode right Give me some hope

A:There is no icons on start menu

Hi stargate95,

When did you do the preliminary cleaning procedures for the HJT and Malware Removal Forum? Did you go ahead and post all the results in the HJT forum? If not, you need to do this. The preliminary instructions have changed, but if you have the logs still, you could start by posting what you have. It sounds like there was more than one infection on your computer and your computer is still infected. It will be important when you post there to mention that you installed SP3 on a computer which may not have been completely clean.

Zllio

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/185755/there-is-no-icons-on-start-menu/
Relevancy 64.93%

There's 2 icons on my start-menu, including internet explorer,. whose correct (default) icons (eg. the blue e) have disappeared and been replaced by the white looking box icon. If I right click and 'change icon' I can select the correct icon BUT it just doesn't show-up after I press 'Apply'.
Any idea's ?

A:Start-menu icons won't set...

Hello BeachNut,

You would need to change the icon and click on OK instead, then repeat a couple of times until it changes back in the Start Menu.

This will not work on a pinned item. If it's pinned to the Start Menu, then you will have to unpin it, do the change above on the shortcut, then pin the shortcut back.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/49071-start-menu-icons-wont-set.html
Relevancy 64.93%

My computer was running perfectly. Then I shut it off for the night. In the morning when I turned it back on my icons and start menu were missing and now I can't do anything. I tried ctr+alt+delete-> New Task -> explorer.exe and it said "Windows cannot find 'explorer.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search." nothing is working!!! Help!!!

A:My icons and start menu is gone!

Try system restore to a time just before the problem began.Open up Task Manager.When task manager opens, Applications tab.Click on New Task.Enter restore in the box, click OK.If the restore folder opens, click on the rstrui (icon is a computer with an arrow and a clock).This will open up system restore.Choose Restore my computer to an earlier time, click Next, then choose your restore point. Click Next again, confirm you want to use that point. Once the process starts, your system will reboot. After it boots up, you will find out if the restore was successful or not.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/340665/my-icons-and-start-menu-is-gone/
Relevancy 64.93%

First of all, we are working with a Windows 2000 Server machine. It is a Dell 1400 SC.

When I boot, everything is normal. I get to the login screen and login as the "Administrator" of the domain. Everything seems to go well. The login script runs correctly. The start menu appears for a split second and goes away. I can alt+ctrl+del and get to the task manager to run applications, but can not do anything else.

What I have tried to fix this issue:
Reboot.
Boot into safe mode.
Boot with Floppy, delete explorer.exe and install a good one.
Restore to last known good configuration.
Recovery console.
Hard reboot.

None of these things do anything for the symptoms. Anyone have any ideas? I have looked all over the net and have found NADA.....

A:Icons and Start Menu GONE

Try the smitfraud.reg fix. This .reg file restores some of the display parameters to defaults. You will probably need to download it to a floppy and run it from there. Download smitfraud.reg to your desktop (or a floppy).Double click the smitfraud.reg icon on your desktop. (or run it from the taskmanager run box) When it asks if you want to add the data to the registry, say Yes.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/19712/icons-and-start-menu-gone/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi,

Can anybody help? Whenever I start my main computer (this is from my sons laptop) I have no start menu or any icons on my desktop. The only thing I can get is task manager. I have just started in safe mode but again nothing.

In safe mode the processes that are running are:

taskmgr.exe
svchost.exe - 3 of these
MsMpEng.exe
Isass.exe
services.exe
winlogin.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
system
system Idle Process

Any suggestions welcome as this is a dell machine that doesn't have the disks to reinstall.

A:no start menu or icons

After messing about with taskmanager I managed to start the internet and download hijackthis. Here is my log. I am guessing that the problem is something to do with explorer.exe being missing that is causing the problem.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 21:49:45, on 16/07/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16473)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
c:\program files\common files\logitech\lvmvfm\LVPrcSrv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\PAStiSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\parents\Desktop\HiJackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.tiscali.co.uk/broadband
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://uk.red.clientapps.yahoo.com/...b/*http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/bt_side.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://us.mcafee.com/root/learnmore/learnmore.asp?close=true&lcode=en-us
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 202.64.220.99:8080
R3 - URLSearchHook: SweetIM For Internet Explorer - {BC4FFE41-DE9F-46fa-B455-AAD49B9F9938} - C:\Program Files\Macrogaming\SweetIMBarForIE\toolbar.dll
O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\2.0.301.7164\swg.dll
O3 - Toolbar: FlashGet Bar - {E0E899AB-F487-11D5-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\fgiebar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MBMon] Rundll32 CTMBHA.DLL,MBMon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VoiceCenter] "C:\Program Files\Creative\VoiceCenter\AndreaVC.exe" /tray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [atwtusb] atwtusb.exe beta
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-start-menu-or-icons.596554/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi,

I have been searching for hours and no help. When I load my gateway laptop it loads to the backround but there are no icons or start menu. I tried to load it thru the task manager but i get a alert "the procedure entry point pathfindexte could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll" NOTHING WORKS>>>>HELP>>>

A:No Icons or start menu

Do virus and spyware scans.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/no-icons-or-start-menu-260123.html
Relevancy 64.93%

The problem started after exiting out of a Game after restart no menu comes up at all then I go in taskbar to run explorer.exe then the start menu and all of my icons come on and off every five seconds, i have tried a system restore and nothing happend also ran adware scan and avg nothing happening, as a noob im not sure what else to do

thanks

Chris

Relevancy 64.93%

i was moving a file and all my icons disapaired i can use every thing under task manager but no start menu or icons
some on told me to try
hkey_local_machines\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\wilogon\shell\explorer.exe i followed it to there and it was all there but no change what next

A:no icons or start menu

Hi Denny, Try this instead of making things worse by messing with the registry. Just right click on any place on your desktop - select properties - select the picture of your choice - click apply then ok. That should fix it. You might have to reboot. Hope this helps.

Patmark

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/no-icons-or-start-menu-507213.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi
Can anyone here tell me how to change the start menu icon for "devices and printers" as shown below.Ive changed all the other start menu icons but the location of this one illudes me still.
Thankyou

A:Start menu icons

Hello Danny,

The default icon for "Devices and Printers" is at the registry location below, but it will change the icon for it in all locations and not just in the Start Menu.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{A8A91A66-3A7D-4424-8D24-04E180695C7A}\DefaultIcon

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/119890-start-menu-icons.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I have Windows 8 now, and after I installed it, I realized some of the icons in the start menu are missing, and I realized its time to get some help. Please help me.

A:No icons in start menu

Go to the Start Screen, type the name of the Program you want. then Right-click on it and select Pin-to-Start.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/4726-no-icons-start-menu.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Last night I was infected by the Windows Recovery Virus. I ran IExplorer to stop the virus, Malwarebytes to clean it up, and unhide to restore seeing the files. I'm mostly back up accept for the start menu icons, like My Pictures, Printers, etc. Can I retrieve those icons? Thanks for any help you can give.

A:Start menu icons

Press Windows+R key and type%temp% and click okLet me know if you have a folder called smtmpDid you run a scan with TDSSkiller?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/437106/start-menu-icons/
Relevancy 64.93%

when i start my computer i get a wondow that says svchost icons start-up no or menu - - is not a valid date when i click quot ok quot it says Generic Host Process for Win Services and asks if i want to send an error report when i click out of that it says Access violation at no start-up menu or icons address FECAC in module winmgam dll Write of address D after i close no start-up menu or icons that window i have no desktop icons or start menu I did a hijackthis log Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system wbem lsass exe C WINDOWS system taskmgr exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files HijackThis HijackThis exe O - Hosts hyap com O - Hosts www hyap com O - Hosts com O - Hosts www com O - Hosts y com O - Hosts www y com O - Hosts cn O - Hosts nc cn O - Hosts cn cn O - Hosts crsky cn O - Hosts www cn O - Hosts kirinkwy com cn O - Hosts www kirinkwy com cn O - Hosts baibu com O - Hosts www baidu com O - Hosts www yy ly cn O - Hosts www muma com O - Hosts www feifeicqq com O - Hosts wow wow cn O - Hosts www aa cn O - Hosts www zhiminglu com O - Hosts www bfsou net O - Hosts www daisf cn O - Hosts www comw com O - Hosts www feifeicqq com O - Hosts www hot bigww O - Hosts www s cn O - Hosts www zhkj org O - Hosts www hot bigwww com O - Hosts bbs v v com O - Hosts jygame com O - Hosts cn O - Hosts huiyuan hz iis com O - Hosts urlmon isxv com O - Hosts goujiao e ns com O - Hosts sybaby a zgsj com O - Hosts sybaby c zgsj com O - Hosts sybaby a zgsj com O - Hosts wl z cn O - Hosts mf com O - Hosts xianren bigwww com O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO Info cache - AB C -FB - D - - E BA A F - C Documents and Settings All Users Application Data Microsoft PCTools pctools dll O - BHO DriveLetterAccess - CA D E- - CF- E - - C WINDOWS system dla tfswshx dll O - Toolbar no name - BA B -B - c -B - F F - no file O - HKLM Run MSConfig C WINDOWS PCHealth HelpCtr Binaries MSConfig exe auto O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C PROGRA MICROS OFFICE EXCEL EXE O - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java j re bin npjpi dll O - Extra Tools menuitem Sun Java Console - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java j re bin npjpi dll O - Extra button Research - B - CC- C -B BE- C C A - C PROGRA MICROS OFFICE REFIEBAR DLL O - Extra button Real com - CD F -D E - d - FE- C F AFE - C WINDOWS system Shdocvw dll O - Extra button MUSICMATCH MX Web Player - d ca b-ef - af-bee - d a c d - http wwws musicmatch com mmz openWebRadio html file missing O - Extra button Yahoo Messenger - E D C E- B F- D -B C - C C - C PROGRA Yahoo MESSEN YPager exe O - Extra Tools menuitem Yahoo Messenger - E D C E- B F- D -B C - C C - C PROGRA Yahoo MESSEN YPager exe O - Extra button Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - Extra Tools menuitem Windows Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - DPF C A- BE- B -A BB- B FE A ewidoOnlineScan Control - http downloads ewido net ewidoOnlineScan cab O - Winlogon Notify igfxcui - igfxdev dll file missing O - Winlogon Notify rpcc - C WINDOWS system rpcc dll file missing Can anyone please help me nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-start-up-menu-or-icons.562665/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi,

I have windows xp OS. Recently I downloaded some .exe file and ran it on my laptop. Since then I have been getting these problems

1. pop ups saying "windows has detected an internet attack attempt"
2. pop up leading to different webpages which ask me to download a tool to remove these spywares
3. "VIRUS ALERT" written by side of system clock
4. START MENU icons have disappeared
5. regedit, task manager have been disabled

I read many forums and ran many spyware removal tools and I think I have removed point 1 & 2 above but still facing others

Then I came across this forum. Can someone please guide me what is HijackThis log?? How can I get it? And how will that help me rectify my laptop?

Please help. I am very distressed and dont want to format my hard disk.

Thanks,
Tarang

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-start-menu-icons-please-help.735313/
Relevancy 64.93%

My start menu & icons keep disappearing and reappearing what do i do?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/help-start-menu-and-icons-258062.html
Relevancy 64.93%

My run icon and my shut down icon just dissapeared. Earlier when I started up a message telling me that the registry had been reloaded from a back up file or something and then the start menu icons dissapeared.

A:Start menu icons gone!

Disable/Enable Registry Editing tools in Windows
http://www.dougknox.com/security/scripts_desc/regtools.htm

Allows you to enable or disable Task Manager for the Current User
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_taskmgrenab.htm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Missing Run And Turn off
Open Task Manger > New Task > regedit >> navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer

On the Right Pane >> Delete >> NoRun and NoClose

Restart

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/start-menu-icons-gone.623252/
Relevancy 64.93%

I am running Windows XP pro SP 2 on one of my laptops, but when ever I log in I get my background picture and noting else.
This is my work computer and I am forbidden to go into safe mode or defrag.
What should I do?
No, it is different.

A:No icons or start menu

Is this the same computer you ran Combofix on? We really need to know if it is the same computer before proceeding.

edit to remove a link which is not needed

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/217378/no-icons-or-start-menu/
Relevancy 64.93%

yesterday i was trying to download a movie maker from a peer2peer site (i know it's morally wrong), but my anti-virus wouldn't allow it, so like a complete MORON i turned it off and downloaded anyway, needless to say i got what was coming to me. now my desktop is nothing but wallpaper- no icons or start menu- luckily i figured out how to access my files through the task manager, but i need help!!!!! i posted a thread in a random forum yesterday, and user GEEKGIRL told me to download hijackthis and then post here, so what's next?

A:no icons or start menu!!!!

i scanned with hijack this and this is what i got:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:55:33 AM, on 9/17/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Unable to get Internet Explorer version!

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\New Boundary\PrismXL\PRISMXL.SYS
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Program Files\BearShare\BearShare.exe
C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX04.734\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://195.95.218.172/index.php
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/yco...search/ie.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/yco.../www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://195.95.218.172/index.php
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://195.95.218.172/index.php
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/yco.../www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = http://195.95.218.172/index.php
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = http://195.95.218.172/index.php
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe"
F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 n-glx.s-redirect.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 x.full-tgp.net
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 counter.sexmaniack.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 autoescrowpay.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 www.autoescrowpay.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 www.awmdabest.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 www.sexfiles.nu
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 awmdabest.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 sexfiles.nu
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 allforadult.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 www.allforadult.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 www.iframe.biz
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 iframe.biz
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 www.newiframe.biz
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 newiframe.biz
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 www.vesbiz.biz
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 vesbiz.biz
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 www.pizdato.biz
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 pizdato.biz
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 www.aaasexypics.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 aaasexypics.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 www.virgin-tgp.net
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 virgin-tgp.net
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 www.awmcash.biz
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 awmcash.biz
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 buldog-stats.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 www.buldog-stats.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 fregat.drocherway.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 slutmania.biz
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 www.slutmania.biz
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 toolbarpartner.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 www.toolbarpartner.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 www.megapornix.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 megapornix.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 www.sp2******.biz
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 sp2******.biz
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 greg-tut.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 www.greg-tut.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 nylonsexy.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 www.nylonsexy.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 vparivalka.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 www.vparivalka.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 iframeprofit.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 www.iframeprofit.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.3 topsearch10.com
O1 ... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/no-icons-or-start-menu-69518.html
Relevancy 64.93%

This is not a big problem but is quite annoying, sometimes randomly the icons for my start menu programs will dissapear and the icon will change to the default one when there is no icon to be found. Just random programs do this and if I go to properties it still says the icon is the old one but shows up as default in the program list. If i just hit apply and ok it changes it back. Is there anyway to prevent this or know why this does happen?

A:Start Menu Icons

Can you post a screen shot to make sure we understand exactly what you are describing. To be honest, I'm not really sure. I have a couple of ideas, but both might be wrong.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/104132-start-menu-icons.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I think my pc may've been hijacked. The only application that I can access to is AOL.. I don't have any desktop icons or a start-up menu.....Not really sure what to do. Can someone please help? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jay
Dell Dimension 2350/Windows XP/Pentium 4

Relevancy 64.93%

Just spent a while fixing a Vista laptop with no start menu icons. Wierdly, the recently used ones were still shown, but nothing (Apart frm Default Programs and an empty Accessories folder) shown under All Programs.
No files shown in explorer under All Users\Start Menu or [[user]]\Start Menu.
I also had to use cacls to gain access to those folders, as I originally got Access Denied messages.

I fixed the issue by copying the shortcuts from an XP pc and deleting the ones that didn't work. I showed the laptop's owner how to recreate the one's for the rest of their programs, but I came across this on the net in a couple of places, with no sign of a better fix.

Just wondering if anyone knows better?
Diolch,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/131413/start-menu-icons/
Relevancy 64.93%

my friends PC, home build p2.6 800fsb 512MB winXP Pro. 160GB
serv pk1 + all updates
been ruuning ok - only admin user.

now when boot normally it boots up but no desktop icons or start menu.

it boots in safe mode ok

its got zonealarm full version - and since
chkdsk /f /r - finds no errors

A:no icons or start menu

well i know what your problem is, but i dont know the solution. your computer isn't running explorer.exe for some reason. explorer.exe runs the desktop, the start bar, and the windows explorer. if you have xp, there is an out of the way method to run programs. open up the task manager (ctrl-alt-delete) and select new process from the file menu. then find whatever you want to run and it can open it just like windows explorer. sure, its inconveniant, but its what ive been forced to do for upwards of 3 months now.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-icons-or-start-menu.213734/
Relevancy 64.93%

Before you look at this and give a quick answer please read through and it might need some clarification just ask.

So, you know those icons on the normal XP start menu? there is like a line, some programs above it and programs below it as well. Well the programs below it aren't there, theres nothing there. I've tried everything. Its driving me INSANE! someone more experienced with this kinda stuff help me out! Thanks

Andrew

Relevancy 64.93%

Hi, i have moved from xp to windows 7, but i like the start menu with icons where documents, pictures, music is, like this:

could i put icons on the windows 7 start menu?

A:Can i add icons to the start menu?

Not that I know of.
An alternative may be to try Classic Shell which can give you the XP look in the start menu it was developed by a member here ANN: Classic Shell - start menu and other features
Here is a link to his site also Welcome to Classic Shell
Jerry

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/230068-can-i-add-icons-start-menu.html
Relevancy 64.5%

On a Windows 7 machine I am having an issue where you go, for example, to Outlook 2010 and in a new e-mai message choose to 'Attach File' and when the Insert File menu pops up where you can choose your document everything is blank. In the left pane you can still choose 'Desktop', or wherever your file is located, but in the right pane it's just empty even though there are documents there. 'All Files' is chosen and this happens in other applications too (not just Outlook)where an attachment can be added. I've logged on with another account and it doesn't have the same problem.

But if you navigate to where the file is located, even if you can't see it, you can still type the filename and it uploads. I tried rebooting the system and this didn't help.

A:Solved: Icons missing in File Select Menu

hi.click on start,in the search box type CMD,right-click on the CMD icon and select run as administrator,when CMD opens at the prompt from the root of C: TYPE IN attrib -h /s /d then press enter.type in exit and press enter when the command has completed

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-icons-missing-in-file-select-menu.1113085/
Relevancy 64.5%

I'm missing my icons and toolbar in MS Word XP....meaning everything at the top of the window is missing even "file", "edit", "view"..etc...
I'm not on a network...I haven't tried re-installing office because I've misplaced my Office CD
I never experienced this issue...do anyone have any suggestions or familiar with this issue??? Please help? Thank you.

A:Missing Drop-Down Menu, Toolbars, and Icons, in MS Word XP

Can you take a screenshot and post it? Sounds like you have gone to full screen mode. Are there any menu items or buttons showing?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-drop-down-menu-toolbars-and-icons-in-ms-word-xp.102024/
Relevancy 64.07%

Start up my computer.

I notice that everything is gone from the desktop.
ctl+alt+delete followed other websites advice, none worked.
didn't mess with the registry at all just to be safe.
i really just can't find a way to get my desktop back

any help would be appreciated : )
btw
(i've tried all the basics as in not to hide desktop or whatever that option is)

thanks again....

Relevancy 64.07%

She says big thank you You've helped her a lot And I say thank you also Situation She followed the steps including the AVG and deleted Norton and Spybot She can access internet and computer speed is now fine but Firewall informes her that she is unprotected And she receives messages from Ultimate cleaner and Spyware removal wizard about infections every now and then Question Should she delete all antivirus programs and then install the new ones because you said she should have only one Here are the reports she sent me --------------------------------------------------------------------------------rapport txtSmitFraudFix v Scan done at ned Run from C Documents and Settings Administrator Desktop SmitfraudFixOS Microsoft Windows XP Version - Windows NTFix run in safe mode Before SmitFraudFix Attention following keys are not inevitably infected SrchSTS exe by S RiSearch SharedTaskScheduler's dll HKEY Menu No No "start" Taskbar, Icons, No LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer SharedTaskScheduler F C A- - CCA- A - AA B E F OLE Automation Module Killing process Generic Renos FixGenericRenosFix by S Ri Deleting infected filesC WINDOWS sachostx exe DeletedC WINDOWS xpupdate exe DeletedC WINDOWS system dlh jkdq exe DeletedC WINDOWS system intell exe DeletedC WINDOWS system kernels exe DeletedProblem while deleting C WINDOWS system oleext dllC WINDOWS system sachostc No Icons, No Taskbar, No "start" Menu exe DeletedC WINDOWS system sachostp exe DeletedC WINDOWS system sachosts exe DeletedC WINDOWS system taskdir exe DeletedC WINDOWS system taskdir exe Deleted No Icons, No Taskbar, No "start" Menu Deleting Temp Files Registry Cleaning Registry Cleaning done After SmitFraudFix Attention following keys are not inevitably infected SrchSTS exe by S RiSearch SharedTaskScheduler's dll HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer SharedTaskScheduler F C A- - CCA- A - AA B E F OLE Automation Module RebootC WINDOWS system oleext dll Deleted EndLogfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC No Icons, No Taskbar, No "start" Menu WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Documents and Settings Administrator Desktop HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - Default URLSearchHook is missingO - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO no name - EBB B- DE-A F- E - AA E - C WINDOWS system mqjhyym dllO - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dllO - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dllO - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dllO - HKLM Run SoundMan SOUNDMAN EXEO - HKLM Run NeroFilterCheck C WINDOWS system NeroCheck exeO - HKLM Run ATICCC C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE cli exe runtime -DelayO - HKLM Run RemoteControl C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD PDVDServ exe O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe -atboottimeO - HKLM Run gemstrmw C WINDOWS system gemstrmw exe rO - HKLM Run QuickPassword C Program Files ActivCard ActivCard Gold agquickp exeO - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java j re bin jusched exeO - HKLM Run tfnewpc dll C WINDOWS system rundll exe C WINDOWS system tfnewpc dll sxredcgO - HKLM Run sachost C WINDOWS sachostx exeO - HKLM Run gwiz C WINDOWS system ntsystem exeO - HKLM Run AVG CC C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe STARTUPO - HKLM Run Ultimate Cleaner C Program Files Ultimate Cleaner App exeO - HKLM RunServices mzu stonedrv c windows system mzu stonedrv exeO - HKCU Run CTFMON EXE C WINDO... Read more

A:No Icons, No Taskbar, No "start" Menu

Hello kleopat, Since you are badly infected, please run the following scans. Disable your antivirus program and go here http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html and run an online scan with BitDefender (you will need to use Internet Explorer for this scan). When the ActiveX Control has loaded, click on "Click here to scan" and grab a coffee. When BitDefender completes the scan, select the "Detected Problems" tab. Click on "Click here to export scan". Save the file as an HTML to your Desktop. Then click on the saved file and allow it to open with your browser. Go to Edit - Select All then copy/paste that log back here. Post the log. ***********************Download SUPERantispywareLoad SUPERantispyware and click the check for updates button. Once the update is finished click the scan your computer button. Check Perform Complete Scan and then next. Superantispyware will now scan your computer and when its finished it will list all the infections it has found. Make sure that they all have a check next to them and press next. Click finish and you will be taken back to the main interface. Click Preferences and then click the statistics/logs tab. Click the dated log and press view log and a text file will appear. Copy and paste the log to this thread.Submit the SUPERantispyware log, the BitDefender log and a fresh Hijackthis log.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/69336/no-icons-no-taskbar-no-start-menu/