Windows Support Forum

External case change and cannot see my files

Q: External case change and cannot see my files

I have a Toshiba 1.5TB External HD, I could not find a power supply for it soI did the next best thing and transferred it into a Samsung 3G case. I can get into the drive, the Properties show that -500gigs is utilised, but I cannot see any files. How do I access the drive and be able to see my files?

Has anyone had this problem, and know how to solve it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-case-change-and-cannot-see-my-files.162215/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: External case change and cannot see my files

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 61.06%

I created a list of companies & phone #'s etc. in access 2000. The letters are upper case. How do I change upper case listings to lower case?

Relevancy 58.91%

Hello,

I was recently copying a heap of files to my new HP Simple Save external hard drive and all of a sudden it wouldn't let me, saying that it was read only.

I have googled what seems to be everything and tried a range of options including-
-unchecking read only option in properties
-using cmd.exe option to look at storage device and next to read only it said no
-registry files - found some instructions to change read only in storage device options, but there was no storage device options, there was storage, but no option to remove read only
-i have also ensured that i have enough permissions etc..

Some details about my computer are-

Asus F5
Windows Vista
AMD Athlon X2 64 (not sure if this is relevant?)

Would really appreciate some advice if anyone can help me?

Cheers

A:HP External Hard drive - files are all read only and I can't change it

From what I have heard about those drives, it is a problem with the proprietary setup of the drive. It is classic HP stupidity. The drive is coupled with junkware, which eventually fails to work properly.

I know it sucks, but I would backup everything off that drive. Uninstall all the HP software and drivers related to it. Then go into the Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Computer Management\Storage. Kill all the partitions on the drive, setup a new one, reformat, and use it without all the HP junk.

After that, make sure to setup proper permissions on the new volume, and re-copy everything back. If you do not need NTFS security, then format it with exFat.

There should be a law against junkware..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-external-hard-drive-files-are-all-read-only-and-i-cant-change-it.950849/
Relevancy 57.19%

Looking to buy an external hard drive for backup. This will be used only to backup data periodically. This is certainly a good price ($140):

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1474205

I've never heard of it. Anyone have any experience with that brand?

A:Opinions on BeyondMicro External Hard Drive?-or recommendations on External Case?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/opinions-on-beyondmicro-external-hard-drive-or-recommendations-on-external-case.381320/
Relevancy 57.19%

I moved about 10GB of files (using Photoshop Elements) from my laptop's hard disk to an external hard drive. I double checked and the files were moved correctly - they don't show up on the laptop and show up on the external hard drive. However, the laptop's C drive does not show an increase in space. I restarted the laptop but it still shows the same free space as prior to the move.

Any idea why? This is with a Lenovo T440s with Win7.

Thanks,
Kunal

A:Moved files to external hard drive but no change in laptop disk size

Dumb question, did you delete the files off C ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/362836-moved-files-external-hard-drive-but-no-change-laptop-disk-size.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello Recently bought a new Laptop D External files Change Partitioned Hard to back up from Drive Drive? and went through all the setting up process one of which was Change back up files from D Partitioned Drive to External Hard Drive? Windows back up At the time I just went for the partitioned drive option but after a week I've decided to buy an external Hard drive for my back ups instead My questions are Can I easily change the destination of the back up files Do I just delete everything on Drive D once I'm backing up to an external Hard Drive or will Windows give me this option when I change to external Hard Drive The Back up is done on a schedule so how do I get on when the date passes Will it ask me to plug my external Hard Drive in the next time I boot up Finally I'd like to back up our Desktop too running on Vista Can I just partition the external Hard Drive and keep our laptop and Desktop backed up on the same hard drive Cheers Matthew

A:Change back up files from D Partitioned Drive to External Hard Drive?

Hi Matthew -

You don't need to partition the HD to keep your different backups on it.

The WindowsImageBackup file needs to be named only that and in the root of the external to reimage from the booted DVD or Repair CD, however you can click on it to see which PC it is for.

Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup
Backup User and System Files

I don't like the way Win7 file backup works so I drag the active User folder from each computer here to external once per month, then update the backup image every few months. You may decide to go Manual after trying the automated backup, since you'll need to move the external to catch the backup anyway.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/131476-change-back-up-files-d-partitioned-drive-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi everyone thanks for looking Im running into a particular problem that I cant seem to find the reasons or the settings I watch HBO GO i have a valid subscription on my Windows Home laptop and use an HDMI cable to connect my TV Scenerio If I leave the close the lid power option on hibernate I must leave the laptop open and when I connect the HDMI the TV it becomes my monitor and I view as the monitor and watch anything full screen no problem Scenerio I change the power option on the lid close to quot External when settings change Power change? display options do nothing quot When the HDMI cable is hooked up if the laptop is open it uses the laptop display External display settings change when Power options change? if its closed it displays through the HDMI TV This is perfect and exactly what I want I can watch as the monitor no problem HOWEVER if I choose full screen I get gray borders and the quot Full Screen quot is not full and just centered I can not for the life of me figure out why and Im going crazy Does anyone know why the power option would have an effect on this and what settings I could change Many Thanks in Advance Max nbsp

A:External display settings change when Power options change?

Check to see what resolution your laptop's display is at, what the external TV resolution is when you connect it to your laptop, and MAYBE what resolution the videos you're watching are. This just sounds like a resolution issue. If the TV is at a larger resolution than your laptop's resolution, change the TV's resolution to the size your laptop is at. Then try watching a video to see what happens. Hope this helps.
-Lance

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-display-settings-change-when-power-options-change.1043683/
Relevancy 51.17%

hi, I have a COMPAQ Presario SR2125UK pc, I have been recently upgrading with graphics and processor etc. But now I need a bigger case so I can actually fit another hard drive inside (Theres isn't a lot of room due to the power cables). I was wondering if it be possible to remove everything from the manufacturer case to a bigger and better case, one with a little more room. THANKS

Relevancy 51.17%

Is there a way to gut out a case and put all my hard drives in it and use as an external hard storage unit?
I have all these 20,30,and 40 Gb Hard drives and I want to use them for storage. I know I can network them but that seems like the slow way.

Relevancy 51.17%

Is there such thing as a case for an IDE HDD so I can connect it via USB? Something not so expensive, $20 and under. If u need more info just ask.

thanx

Relevancy 50.74%

My question is, I'm planing on installing a new motherboard to my desktop as I found out the mobo in my desktop now doesn't support newer graphic cards. Not even half-new graphic cards even. Recently bought a GeForce GTX 750 ti Strix OC Edition model and my motherboard can't handle it. So I need a new motherboard. My question is, do I need a whole new case too or will a micro-ATX mobo work in my current case? Thanks in advance./Wind

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Will-I-have-to-change-my-case-if-I-buy-a-new-motherboard/td-p/5749901
Relevancy 50.74%

Hey Just bought a nice Xion II Modder s Case for my PC I slowly removed all the parts from the old case and carefully replaced them into the new case However on boot up depending on what IDE Case PC won't Now up! Change boot PC - drive PC Case Change - Now PC won't boot up! is connected I get a a blank screen b A bios screen with no memory check but instead a message simply stating PC Case Change - Now PC won't boot up! quot Memory T quot c Differing amounts of memory varies between K ish and K even though my usual memcheck is over GB x GB RAM stick x MB RAM stick I ve tried every combination of IDE connection including simply unplugging everything and plugging solely the HDD into the IDE port Simply put when I first connected the PC back up in the new case I copied it EXACTLY as the old case In addition the bios check screen is not as crystal clear as it normally is There are strange symbols artefacts littered around the screen I have a keyboard and nothing else plugged in although the BIOS setup utility does not appear if I press F or DEL Any help is extremely appreciated Cheers Chris O nbsp

A:PC Case Change - Now PC won't boot up!

Did you install the motherboard standoffs (risers) in the new case?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-case-change-now-pc-wont-boot-up.560888/
Relevancy 50.74%

anybody have a full guide to take *ALL* my old insides of my old comp and justt move it into a new case?

Relevancy 50.74%

Hi I recently Purchased a new case and Powersupply to make way for my new Graphics Card I have a Case doing Change Problems moved everything from the old case to the new one and installed the new powersupply Now the new case connecter s were drastically different from my old one I went from a Fujitsu-Siemens Case - to an Aerocool Case I plugged everything in where i believed they should go and powered up Now when i turnt he power supply ont he PC goe s straight into Bootup it doesn t wait for me to press the power button The PC goe s throught he Bios page and onto the Hardware addresses page Boot from CD comes up twice then the screen changes to go into Window s but it never gets there it just goe s black and Hangs Soi took everything that connects the case to the Mobo of Except the Power Switch i e Speaker connections Firewire USB etc and booted and still the same So i try and enter the Setup or Safe mode but i realise my Keyboard isn t active I know the keyboard works Im using it to write this ANy Ideas Now the first time i connected it up to the PC screen and turned it on it actually got to the windows Login page but the mouse wouldn t work so i turned it of and on and then got this problem Problems doing a Case Change Billy nbsp

A:Problems doing a Case Change

Double check the Power switch/Reset/Speaker/HDD indicator/Power indicator wires are plugged in the correct places. Sometimes the diagrams are not real clear on exactly which pins are the right ones for each. Check the jumpers on the MB to ensure they all are set to what the book says. Could be a jumper fell off or was not set properly.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-doing-a-case-change.345588/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi
My mobo is a Gigabyte EG41MFT-US2H. It has E-SATA connection and I have an Icy Box External case with a WD 5000AAKS Hdd installed. It works fine for back up, but I cannot get the E SATA to work. Tried 2 more cables that I know work with my HP DV7 lappy, still no joy. Is there some special method I have to use?

A:E-SATA to external Case.

You should have AHCI enabled both with the correct hotswap SATA drivers, and in your BIOS.

If you don't then your eSATA drive will only be detected if connected at boot-up.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/213963-e-sata-external-case.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I plan to buy a 4 TB external hd, which, if possible, I would like to eventually remove from its casing and put into an external multiple hd bay which I'll purchase in future. I'm looking at the Seagate STBV4000100 hd or the WD WDBFJK0040HBK-NESN hd models. I realize this will void the warranty, natch, but is there any reason that doing this would be a problem? I mean, would I be able to open it with a screwdriver or am I going to have to break the darn case to get the hd out? And, if the latter, will I be able to do so without harming the hd? Thanks!

Seagate 4TB Expansion External Desktop USB 3.0 Hard STBV4000100

WD 4TB My Book Desktop HDD WDBFJK0040HBK-NESN B&H Photo Video

A:Removing External HD From Case

This link from Youtube will show you how to do it:
Shelling a 4TB Western Digital MyBook USB3 External Drive - YouTube

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/49996-removing-external-hd-case.html
Relevancy 50.31%

What speed sucks heat out of the case the fastest & how much voltage requied? What is the quietest type?

A:How do you attach an external case fan?

Like most things, the issue of fans and case cooling is more complicated than it seems. Here are the main points:

1. Keeping a case cool requires getting cool air into the case and hot air out. To accomplish this a case may have both input fans (cool air in) and output fans (hot air out.) Whether or not a particular case has both input and output fans depends primarily on the case design, but in most cases you can add whichever kind you want.

2. Fans themselves come in 2 basic varieties: fixed speed and variable speed. In general variable speed is better because the fan speed can change based on the current CPU/heat load. But variable speed fans are more expensive.

3. Fixed speed fans run at a constant speed/noise level. Their only input is power which they get either from a small 3-prong motherboard connector or a 4-prong Molex power connector coming off the PC power supply.

4. Variable speed fans have both power and speed control inputs and run at varying speed/noise levels. Their input usually comes from a 4-pin motherboard connector which supplies both power (3 pins) and speed control (4th pin.) These fans are called PWM fans because they use Pulse Width Modulation to change speeds.

Some variable speed fans come with their own speed controllers which is a small board mounted inside or outside the PC with knobs on it that you can turn to change fan speeds. But my sense is it is better to let the system itself determine the best fan speed.

4. In general cooling fans have almost negligible power requirements so there is really no need to be concerned about volts or watts.

5. Fans come in a variety of different standard sizes so it's easy to replace most any fan with a different one of the same size.

As an example, my case has one input fan on the front, 2 output fans on the back, and one output fan on the top. As delivered, all fans were fixed speed (to keep the overall case cost down.) It seemed to me that the front fan was a bit louder than I liked so I replaced it with a variable speed fan that plugged into one of 3 4-pin connectors on my system motherboard. Now the fan closest to me is much quieter most of the time, but does speed up when the CPU is working hard.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/279465-how-do-you-attach-external-case-fan.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I have a 3.5" hdd external case (IDE) which works on Windows XP. But it doesnt work with Windows Vista. Also the CD supplied with the case contains drivers for windows 98/me/xp/2000 but not for VISTA!!! I tried to search by google but didnt help. Please help if anyone knows about such drivers for vista.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/234360/driver-for-35-hdd-external-case-ide/
Relevancy 50.31%

will my W/D IDE work in an external case to extract files/folders or do i need to buy a complete external HDD to access files on this drive ?

A:Internal IDE in external case ?

As long as the drive works and you get the proper enclosure everything should go smoothly. You should look for an external enclosure that is supports an IDE drive. You can find them on the net pretty cheap.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internal-ide-in-external-case.987804/
Relevancy 50.31%

My sister has a dell laptop that came with an extrernal CD drive. the drive was damaged .

I need to relaod the Xp home OS. Do you think hooking up an extra cd drive (that was once in my tower) to an external case (used for HD) i will be able to reload XP?

A:External case & a CD Drive

Sure, the drives in an external case are bog-standard CD/DVD drives. I've put a bunch of them together.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-case-a-cd-drive.571116/
Relevancy 49.88%

Sir, my laptops case was damaged.Is it possible to change? if possible that please inform me where i get that case?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Need-to-change-my-laptops-body-case/td-p/5779690
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi all,
I have an Optiplex 9010 SFF, and was wondering if it is possible to move the hardware to a new case? Preferably a full desktop size so i can install a full sized video card.
I "heard" that the 9010 (and potentially others) have a unique power button which prevents the changing of the case to a non-Dell case. Is this correct?

Cheers.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19996667
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi Guys

I often make the mistake of pressing the CAPS lock key. In WORD I can change the case if I inadvertently type a long sentence in upper case. But how do I do that in Outlook?

StanC

A:Solved: Change case mystery

Wow

I found the answer by looking at a previous thread on the same subject.
Simply highlight the text that is in CAPS, hold down the SHIFT key, and press F3.

Great
StanC

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-change-case-mystery.958047/
Relevancy 49.88%

ello folks
just a quickie. i use a usb2 1TB external hdd for my second set of backups and a few other bits n bobs. my question is; would i get better speeds from this drive if i was to remove the caddy and install it as a 3rd drive?
im guessing that i would but would just like confirmation.
cheers folks any help is always much apreciated
this is the drive in question Hitachi XL Series 1TB USB 2.0 External Desktop Hard Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Relevancy 49.88%

I plan to buy a 4 TB external hd, which, if possible, I would like to eventually remove from its casing and put into an external multiple hd bay which I'll purchase in future. I'm looking at the Seagate STBV4000100 hd or the WD WDBFJK0040HBK-NESN hd models. I realize this will void the warranty, natch, but is there any reason that doing this would be a problem? I mean, would I be able to open it with a screwdriver or am I going to have to break the darn case to get the hd out? And, if the latter, will I be able to do so without harming the hd? Thanks!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...Ib536jQwr8CFTJo7AodoRYADA&Q=&is=REG&A=details

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...bk_nesn_4tb_my_book_desktop.html/prm/alsVwDtl

A:Solved: Removing External HD From Case

They typically are just standard drives and can be removed without any issues.

And yes, the warranty will be VOID. So unless you are saving a decent amount of money, I'd stick with a bare drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-removing-external-hd-from-case.1129578/
Relevancy 49.88%

Got an error message:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: /Windows/System32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM.

plop in the xp cd and i get nothing. I hear the drive spinning, the light for my harddrive is on..but i cannot get to the setup screen. I got there once before, pressed any key to continue...then back to the black screen with the cursor blinking in the upper left hand corner.

I have tried to search for an answer, but none of the kb articles on microsoft address the problem if you CANNOT get to windows setup.

Yes my bios is set to boot from cd

Relevancy 49.88%

I have an extra Maxtor 30GB HDD and am considering using it in a case but that is dependent upon what I may learn here.
My AMD system is described below. I think I may want to use this as an additional means of a backup for my PC.
I am hoping to see some replies giving the pros/cons and the type case and link to it that I may consider buying.
As usual, TIA.
Happy and SAFE July 4th to all.

Relevancy 49.88%

Hi.

What is better to get for an external hard drive: a 3.5" case or a 5.25" case which may include a fan in the back? The reason I ask is that I am looking at the two cases below:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-146-184&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-145-316&depa=0

and was wondering which was better when it comes to heat.

Thanks.

Relevancy 49.88%

Hello;

I want to replace the old 40 gb harddrive in my desktop pc with a larger one. I am hoping there is a way I can format and partition a new PATA harddrive in my external harddrive case and set up the replacement hardrive with my original restore disk. Is this possible? I have windows xp pro operating system. My computer system is an HP DC5000. I know when I buy a new hardrive some formating is required to begin using it, but can all this be done via an external drive case? If so are there step by step instructions? Im a newbie but anxious to learn. Thanks for any help or advice. Oh I forgot to mention my computer only holds one hard drive.

Relevancy 49.45%

I have a problem with change case. I click on format, change case and select sentence case then click ok. When I go back in its back to the original case formatting. Any ideas??

A:Change Case Setting not Holding in MS WORD

You have highlighted the text first?

Can you explain what you mean "when I go back in"?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-case-setting-not-holding-in-ms-word.325984/
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi I changed all lower case of "city" to Uppercase "CITY" USING Find and Replace. But when I tried to change the same "CITY" to "city" it didn't work. However I did get the message we have made 12 replacements but not even one "CITY" was changed to "city." When I tried to replace "CITY" with another word in lowercase, it replaced the different word but in Uppercase. Please help this novice in word. Thank you.

A:How to change words in Uppercase to lower case

Hello Mike, thanks for your reply. No I am not using Excel but Ms Word 2016. I think I found the solution to my problem. Find and Replace is case sensitive. Therefore to change Uppercase words to lowercase one has to go to "more" option and check the box "Match Case." I did that and I was able to change all "CITY" to "city" using Find and Replace.I hope this may be helpful to someone. If anyone has other solutions to this problem please do post it.Your novice in MS Word

http://www.computing.net/answers/office/how-to-change-words-in-uppercase-to-lower-case/20386.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Have hard drive failure and can't get case open... Any suggestions?

A:How do I open AZC-606-ES20 case to change hard dri...

to reach the HDD you must unscrew the backpanel screws and slide off your DVD drive. about HDD failure, if you received a message about "missing boot device", probably is a SATA cable issue and need to be replaced with part number 50.U86D5.002 by the way i suggest you to contact Acer support service if in warranty or a computer shop to have it serviced, replacing this cable is not the easy thing to do.

http://community.acer.com/t5/All-In-One-PCs/How-do-I-open-AZC-606-ES20-case-to-change-hard-drive/td-p/402960/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi,
I have just recently bought a new case for my desktop as it was having overheat problems.
The new case has 4 cooling fans.
Once everything was connected and turned on I noticed a horrible static type noise from the speakers that stays at the same volume no matter where the volume has been set.
I use a M-Audio 2496 sound card. I thought it had blown. So removed it and reloaded the onboard drivers. Still the noise.
The static noise seems to come about with hard drive activity. i.e. the flashing hard drive light?
The new case fans have LEDS. Could this cause a problem?
The hard drive holder mounts the drives on rubber stops. I thought maybe they needed to be earthed, but when i touched an earth cable to the 2 hard drives , no difference.
Appreciate any help?

Relevancy 49.45%

Help Because I m the DBA my employer Solved: Access Case Change Query MS To assumes that I know or even care about Access Because of some personnel changes I ve inherited an Access flat-file DB - with a quot request quot to clean up the data for the next person who will use and maintain this DB If I can get some help getting started then I can figure out how to do Solved: MS Access Query To Change Case other data clean-up tasks First and hopefully only call for help in Access how do I convert to upper case all letters in the quot room quot field in all records in the table quot main quot In SQL UPDATE main SET room UPPER room I have zero understanding Solved: MS Access Query To Change Case of VBA although I used VB - years ago and don t know how to get started writing a query using VBA I ve tried reading some books but they tend to assume prior knowledge e g how to invoke a code editor in which to write the code I could probably use sql and odbc or export to CSV import into Solved: MS Access Query To Change Case SQL fix and import back into Access There are probably other possibilities too But I have an awful feeling that this is not a temporary situation so I may as well suck it up and learn Access nbsp

A:Solved: MS Access Query To Change Case

In Access SQL it is
UPDATE tblCustomers SET tblCustomers.Customer = Format([Customer],">");

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-ms-access-query-to-change-case.845802/
Relevancy 49.45%

Ctrl+mouse Wheel doesn't work for apps to change case size. How can I change letter size?

There's a setting in Control Panel > display to change size of other stuff, but not case size for text in apps like Mail App.

Thanks.

A:How can I change case size in Mail app in Windows 8.1?

There is the ability to change font type, size and color but it only seems to effect messages you draft, I don't see anyway to change the font of received messages.

If the Win 8 mail app doesn't work the way you want, why don't you install a different mail client? Personally, I use Windows Live Mail but the are others such as Thunderbird. This may not be an option for you if you are running an RT version of Windows 8 since you are limited to whatever mail clients are available in the Windows store.

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/35424-how-can-i-change-case-size-mail-app-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Hey guys Excuse my lack of proper harddrive Problem WD with external case changing terminology I am new to these things Recently my gb WD external hard drive had the USB port connection on the hard drives circuit board break off So Problem with changing WD external harddrive case I went and bought a new case from my local computer shop I had originally taken my HD to see if they could solder the usb port thing back on to the circuit board but they said they don t do repairs So he looked at my HD and told me which case would be best for it I come home and follow his instructions and remove the circuit board from which the usb port fell off from which also supplied the power and connected to the SATA power port on the HD and put it in to the new housing When I connect it to my laptop it does not show up under My Computer However in my icon tray it shows a USB device has connected and it gives me the option of removing it safely I can hear the HD starting up when it gets plugged in but nothing else happens When I removed the HD from its new case and put the old circuit board bit back on and manually held the usb with the usb port connection on to the circuit board from where it came off from I am able to get it recognized by the computer and the WD software for the password prompt starts up So I know my HD is functioning I just cant get it to function in its new case Any help would be much appreciated Thank you nbsp

A:Problem with changing WD external harddrive case

Is the new case powered in the same way as the old case? If yes, I would return the case.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-changing-wd-external-harddrive-case.196556/
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi Hope one of you can help I recently bought a hard drive case as I had two hard drives an old PC one and a old PS one that I wasn t using and thought that they may come in useful for storage The first hard drive an old PC hard drive was fine and worked for a short while until my PC and my sons PC stopped recognising it was plugged in I then exchanged that hard drive for the other spare that I had This only worked for an hour-or-so until that died I now seem disk hard case External misery... to have two dead hard drives within a short space of time that both used the same external case to connect to my PC Woould it be possible that the case I External hard disk case misery... m using could be killing the drives The case uses a Y lead and I have tried the single connection and both at the same time but the hard drivres aren t detected by my PC What would my options be here Cheesr External hard disk case misery... C h r e d g e nbsp

A:External hard disk case misery...

Have you tried hooking Hard drive direct to the PC if possible?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-disk-case-misery.1051878/
Relevancy 49.45%

ok so i bought the usb external enclosure to use as a second hard drive on my laptop i used 2.0 hd not suddenly external Solved: usb case working it to transfer files etc then i formatted the whole thing so it was empty although i did notice about megs or so difference between the size of the hd and the amount available even thuogh i had formatted it using fdisk as i recall it was worknig fine for me but i plugged in in recently and xp detects it comes up with the yellow baloons i e new Solved: external usb 2.0 hd case suddenly not working device recognised device and then it says hardware is worknig and ready to use you know the usual baloons THE PROBLEM the drive used to be on display in my computer now Solved: external usb 2.0 hd case suddenly not working it is not i go to harware mangager on control panel and it tells me my divce is there and woeknig correctly along with my modem and infra red mouse also usb SO YOU SEE i cannot acces of find the drive anyhwhere on xp to use it help wil lbe so much appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 49.45%

is it possible to hook those 2 up??? or is that for the onboard audio only???

A:external card, and front audio on pc case

Hi sotorius, if your card has such connections, I don't see why not:

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/46854-external-card-front-audio-pc-case.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I have a SATA 2.5 inch LAPTOP hard drive that i was interested in getting a case for... I'd like the case to be as small as possible less than 5 inches long .5 inches thick and about 3 inches wide... obviously has to be SATA compatible and it has to be able to support 160GB. As always... any help is appreciated

Relevancy 49.45%

I would like to open the case of a Western Digital media center combo without destroying it. It appears to be designed with tabs and slots to snap together. There are no visible screws or rivets. I'm sure a knowledgeable service tech could pop it open easily given a few hints. WD tech support is unhelpful. Does anyone in this forum know the trick?

Relevancy 49.45%

Does anyone know where I can find an external SATA hard drive case with SATA internal connection and USB and SATA external and if possible, firewire external connection. I have a SATA hard drive and would like to make it portable but would like to keep the SATA speeds when possible.

Thanks!

Relevancy 49.45%

Good Morning All!

I can not copy the files from my external drive (containing the C drive from injured HP desk top) to my IBM win2000 laptop. Is it because of the different Operating Systems? If it is not possible...how can I get a copy of this hard drive to load into my laptop? HP needs the hard drive in the pc when they pick it up for power supply repair.
The external drive read just fine...just cn not transfer the file.
Help pleae...I have 3 payrolls to do !!
Thank yOU!!!!!

Relevancy 49.45%

In my computer, my 250 gig works great, but once I put it into my external enclosure, when I go to it in My Computer it says that it isn't formatted and needs to be before I can use it (PLUS, in disk management it says that it is limited to 31.50 gig) Someone please help ASAP, i spent all last night trying to get this thing working! thanks-

m

[email protected]

Relevancy 49.45%

My iphone 4S can not support whole day use as the battery nearly drain .

So I searched iphone 4S external battery in amazon and find Plush cartoon toys power banks AD below. The price is 29.99$ a little expensive as its 5200mAh. T

http://amazon.com/Constellations-Thunderbolt-Incredible-Blackberry-Fashionable/dp/B00DJ3DZK2 (avoild link, delet url space when past in IE)

Also I found a external battery case here :

http://www.amazon.com/Power-External-Protective-Battery-iPhone/dp/B00409E4JK/

The battery capacity is only 1700mAh but can be used as a case protector for iphone 4s

Which one I should bought or

do anyone find the similar high capacity like 10000mAh but cheaper one in ebay buy.com or amazon and other place?

A:Power bank or external battery case?

Before you invest in more equipment, try to reduce power consumption (see this)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-bank-or-external-battery-case.195897/
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi everyone! I was wondering if it was possible to convert my internal dvd burner to an external device.

I'm going to be getting a laptop soon and am in the process of dismantling one of my pc's and the 'green' side of me would like to reuse as many components as possible and my burner was purchased only last year.

a) Does such a beast exist?
b) Is this a feasible option (file transfer speeds, etc.) as it will also be used for transferring muti-media files?
c) Is it possible to hook this up directly to a home network without going through my desktop? I'm in the process of configuring this as well.

The desktop is running on Win XP SP2 and the laptop with VISTA.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Kat

Relevancy 49.45%

I read an old post that said you can get a case for a hard drive (from a desktop, not laptop) and be able to access files (but not software) and a link to Newegg.com was included. I went to that site and am not sure how to choose the right one - do I need an AC adapter? And how do I know which internal interface I need?

The hard drive is in an emachines T3828 and is 80 GB, if that helps. My daughter had stories she had written stored on it - getting them off and ditching the rest is the goal. (The power switch seems to have died)

Thanks!

Relevancy 49.02%

I have a teck question for the Acer Aspire motherbroad x1930 computer case front panel wiring - Red & White are for the power switch and the Yellow & Orange are for the Led power light - question Is Yellow +plus or - negative and what is Orange + plus or - negative . I need to know this because I`am changing towers from the small form factor to a mid-tower so I can add a Video card . 

http://community.acer.com/t5/Aspire-Desktops/Acer-Aspire-x1930-change-of-tower-case/td-p/429853/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 49.02%

Everyday I upload some files to my website and to simplify my website operations I use the same filename and just upload a file with new information every day The case of file extensions is of no consequence to Windows but it matters to my file case upper/lower Change extension website I Change file extension upper/lower case want to standardize on one case and it doesn't matter which as long it's the same all the time I have one app the snipping tool which seems to generally make files using uppercase but I have some existing files that are lower case I have tried to get rid of the lower case extensions by deleting the file and then recreating it with the same name When I do Windows changes the case from upper to lower If I simply create a brand new file with no previous instances of that file in existence as far as I know then the default case is upper How does one go about converting all existing files of a particular type to a standard file extension case be it upper or lower thanks atom

A:Change file extension upper/lower case

Not sure you can as Windows is case insensative, but have you tried doing it from a Command prompt, enclosing the filename.ext in double quotes as "filename.ext"?

If that doesn't work, maybe a two step process would.

ren "FileName.EXT" FileName.EX"
ren "FileName.EX" FileName.ext"

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/166872-change-file-extension-upper-lower-case.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi, I'm using excel 2003 on a server. I have 200 rows of business contact info, including fields for name, address, email, company name, etc. All data is in all caps. I need to convert to Title Case. Is there a way to do this globally to the worksheet? Can I use the PROPER function to all fields at once?

Thanks

A:Need to apply change to title case in entire worksheet

Go to the first free row, or better yet leave a few rows and then do this, will make it easier later, and enter proper(XX) Where XX is the top left cell you need to convert, Then just drag the cell by the box on the bottom right to encompace an area of equal height and width to the origional data. Then copy the data and paste as values in a new sheet, or over the old data, and all should be converted, if you need more detailed instructions just ask, but it should work.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-to-apply-change-to-title-case-in-entire-worksheet.710385/
Relevancy 49.02%

I have what i hope is a quick easy question to answer Whenever i transfer files from a CD-RW disk back to my hard drive the names convert into upper case This doesn t happen from the floppy drive or cd-r disks only cd-rw amp only on transfer back to the hard drive not in transfer to can Upper names CD-RW transfering file when it? case change from i the disk I have a HP cd writer getting fairly old now with adaptec direct cd software i m running windows I DON T have the quot allow all upper case names quot option in folder options ticked and it also happened on my old computer and is still happening on Upper case file names when transfering from CD-RW can i change it? my new computer same cd-writer transfered to the new computer Does anyone know how i can stop it happening i know it s not a huge issue but i ve just bought a Upper case file names when transfering from CD-RW can i change it? new computer still getting it up amp running amp i really don t want a PILE of files all with upper case names if i can avoid it so really hoping it can be fixed thanks nbsp

Relevancy 49.02%

I have a teck question for the Acer Aspire motherbroad x1930 computer case front panel wiring - Red & White are for the power switch and the Yellow & Orange are for the Led power light - question Is Yellow +plus or - negative and what is Orange + plus or - negative . I need to know this because I`am changing towers from the small form factor to a mid-tower so I can add a Video card . 

http://community.acer.com/t5/Aspire-Desktops/Acer-Aspire-x1930-change-of-tower-case/m-p/429853
Relevancy 48.59%

G'day I've spent the past few days tryng to help a friend sort out a mysterious case of dissapearing USB external drives but it has me stumped Computer LGA Gigabyte GAZ A-D H-B Rev motherboard with latest F BIOS Etron EJ USB chip with nd from latest driver version Antec NEO ECO W PSU Windows Home Premium SP x fully updated USB External Drives X WESTERN DIGITAL USB GB WDBPCK BBK mapped as Y X WESTERN DIGITAL USB GB WDBPCK BBK mapped as Z Both devices are less than months old purchased new a few weeks part from the same store OfficeWorks Typical sequence of events symptoms Both USB devices are displaying fine in both Explorer and Disk Manager and work exactly as expected Absolutely no trouble with the devices at all The LED light on the disks ... external dissapearing USB3 mysterious The the of drives case are lit up After an indeterminate time typically somewhere between to hours the devices dissapear no longer show from Explorer as if they have been physically removed from the The mysterious case of the dissapearing USB3 external drives ... USB ports - there is no disconnect sound ding-dong played The LED lights on the devices The mysterious case of the dissapearing USB3 external drives ... stay lit as normal Opening Disk Management the devices are NOT shown The disks appear to be disconnected from the computer but they are definately plugged in and powered If I physically unplug one of these devices I immediately get the the disconnect sound ding-dong If I then plug the device back in the connect sound ding-dong plays and after a second or two the AutoPlay prompt appears and the devices shown up in Explorer as normal If I open Disk Manager the drive displays exactly as expected This also happens with the nd The mysterious case of the dissapearing USB3 external drives ... device This sequence of events can be replicated several times What I have tried thus far Checked for any special BIOS settings - USB setting enabled - other legacy settings enabled Checked the host system - sfc scannow no problems - device manager no yellow triangles on anything Checked the Power Options - High Performance Enabled - USB Settings gt USB selective suspend setting disabled Physically checked the devices - chkdsk F no problems - cables and general condition of enclosures no obvious problems I also checked to see whether problem can be replicated in the front panel USB ports - and this suprised me it can I get exactly the same behaviour in both USB and USB ports with both these devices If I plug a different WD USB external device into the same USB port then I have not yet been able to replicate this problem Right now I'm unsure whether the issue is With the USB devices The device drivers standard Windows drivers The USB ports The USB port drivers Some hibernation sleep option in either Windows BIOS or physical device Right now I am inclined to think its an issue with the devices but I do plan to test this USB on my system at home for a few days If anyone has other suggestions or experience with this please offer your opinion Regards Golden

A:The mysterious case of the dissapearing USB3 external drives ...

I had a similar problem at one point. You may want to try disabling and then enabling the automount feature in diskpart. Sometimes this will reset the automount feature if it is not working properly.

Open an Elevated Command Prompt. The commands are:diskpart
automount disable
automount enable

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/229870-mysterious-case-dissapearing-usb3-external-drives.html
Relevancy 48.59%

this should be a easy solve. I sorta figured out what type of external HD case I need. But I would perfer to check with you guys before I buy. Dont want to spend money then find out I got the wrong type of external hd case.

This is the exact same internal WD 200gb hard drive I own.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822144162

What I need to know what type of external HD case should I search for? like sata, IDE, 3.5, 2.5", etc?

few weeks ago I bought a WD Live TV for $5.00 with no power cable and remote at a thrift shop in town. then spent $15.00 for those missing items. My PC has the extra WD 200bg HD I dont use and would love to use it instead of speidng extra money for another external HD.

Any help would be appreciated, thx

Relevancy 48.59%

So I want to buy the following item from eBay.
It says that the max size it supports is 300GB.
My hard-drive is 320GB

Will:
a) the external hard-drive CASE recognize the HDD as 300GB and function normally?
or-
b) the external hard-drive CASE not recognise the HDD at all due to it being too big.

Thanks for your speedy help!

A:Question about 2.5" external hard drive case

A 320GB hard drive actually works out to be about 298GB. I believe the only way to know if the drive will work is to try it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/question-about-2-5-external-hard-drive-case.883734/
Relevancy 48.59%

So I have 2 of these: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momen...nternal/dp/tech-data/B00194EQZG/ref=de_a_smtd

and one of this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822204018

I have 3 spots left in my case to mount HDDs. How can I do this? I have searched through Google with no luck and I'm basically a hardware noob. Or, probably the best option, would be to just mount the terabyte drive and access the other harddrives via USB in a very inexpensive way. (Bottom line is to access the seagate drives as inexpensively as possible, then to mount the fantom drive if possible)

Thanks for your time,
Mike

Relevancy 48.59%

Hey guys i'm having alot of confusion on my External 3.5 Sata Samsung 500GB HDD.

The problem is, that when i plug it in through usb it sees it, but as soon as i start working or copying something from it, or copy to it, and it shows that it copies, half way it stops, says its still copying but its not, how i know the computer completely frezzes, and when i turn it off its all fine.

Though when i hooked up my external hdd to a sata cable to my pc its completely fine, is some reason for this? is there like a driver to make it work or something, i've come across this problem with many computers even my own laptop ,

Please need help.

A:Sata HDD in an external case transfer problems through a USB connection

No driver required. I'm guessing there's an issue with the external case, you might consider returning it and picking a different brand.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sata-hdd-in-an-external-case-transfer-problems-through-a-usb-connection.568400/
Relevancy 48.59%

I am looking into purchasing an external hard drive case for a hard drive for extra storage and portability. While looking at them, I see that some are made with aluminum so that the drive stays cool while others have fans. Does an aluminum case keep the drive cool enough?

A:External Hard Drive Case Heat Concern

Yes, the heat dissipation will probably be better than it would be internally fitted.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-case-heat-concern.261417/
Relevancy 48.59%

Aloha,
I just received my Rosewill External case RX30-U2FAB that I bought from NewEgg and it did not come with an installation CD that contains the drivers. I installed a Maxtor Ultra series 100G ,7200rpm hdd and my OS is Win98se. I am using a usb 1.1 and my computer will not recognize the hdd. I tried downloading the driver Rx30-u2FA_fab.zip from the Rosewill site and my computer wizard does not recognize the driver. When I plug in the usb plug from the external drive, it comes up saying that the wizard has discovered a new device, atapi-6 bridge controller but it cannot locate the driver. It installs it in the device manager as other device and has a yellow question mark. Where can I get a driver for the ATAPI-6 bridge controller? TIA

Mahalo,
doogdoog

Relevancy 48.59%

I have extra hard drives that I want to use with my computer but I do not have any expansion slots left to put the drives in my case is an GB rpm is a GB rpm and rd is a SCSI GB K rpm I previously had purchased a computer case that is just that -- a plain computer case no cables power supply nothing It has LOTS of slots for hard drives I am wondering if I can put the extra drives in the empty case and connect them to my computer that I regularly use via usb or firewire as if the drives were in a regular external case If I did this would my computer I am using get overheated or too much power needed from it -- if so how can i correct this If I were to do this would I need a power supply in the other case -- what case? External an computer -- Hard extra Drives in strength Any other helpful information would be appreciated nbsp

A:External Hard Drives -- in an extra computer case?

Your best bet would be external drive enclosures and hook them up USB/Firewire. Look here:
http://www.newegg.com/app/manufactory.asp?catalog=92&DEPA=0

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drives-in-an-extra-computer-case.347635/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi.

When I try to change the case from upper to lower or vice versa of filenames n windows explorer, the changes are not accepted. Also, adding or deleting of spaces in existing filename words is also not being accepted. I have admin privileges.

Thank you for help.

A:Can we change the upper/lower case of filenames in Windows Explorer?

Hi Seymoria, welcome to the Seven Forums.

Filenames in Windows Explorer are not case sensitive. This means that for Windows, the filenames ThisIsMyDocument.doc, THISISMYDOCUMENT.DOC and tHiSiSmYdOcUmEnT.DoC are all the same, the file would be found and can be referred to using any of these or any other combination of upper and lower case letters, as long as the name itself stays the same.

Therefore, if you have a file document_1.doc but you'd like to change the first letter to upper case D, selecting rename and changing the first d to D does nothing. Windows simply does not understand it, for it there was no change as the first letter did not change.

You need to work around this by renaming the file first to something else, then rename it again to Document_1.doc, this time using the upper case D. I use a neat trick here, changing the first letter from lower to upper case: I select rename, delete just the first letter of the filename, the one with lower case, then rename again this time entering the upper case first letter.

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/320968-can-we-change-upper-lower-case-filenames-windows-explorer.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi,
I have a toshiba Satellite S70-B-10Z laptop.

I use the following external HDD enclosure.
https://www.ms-tech.de/eng/index.php/product/detail/pdci...
The case uses AC to 12V DC adapter.
the external enclosure has not ground pin.

When I use it, I feel in the surface , static electricity, not a spark but something like friction.
The same feeling is on the metallic surface of my laptop, when the HDD case is plugged in through USB3 interface.

Has the laptop ground pin?
Laptop's AC adapter is Model: PA5181E-1AC3 part no.:PA-1121-60
Checking the adapter, I think that it's not grounded...as the adapter pin that is plugged in laptop looks like bipolar...

What's your suggestions?
Is there any danger for my laptop?

A:Electricity leakage in external HDD case and Satellite S70 metal surface

This is not danger for the notebook and the notebook usage.
Such symptoms can appear due to contact electricity.
As mentioned by other members, these happens due to the capacitive coupling in the power supply by insulated devices attached to the mains power.

You can solve this using an 3-pin ac adaptor.

Check this thread about the same theme
forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?67785

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?81993-Electricity-leakage-in-external-HDD-case-and-Satellite-S70-metal-surface
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi,
Just in case I get to this point....can I safely work on an infected ( malware ) internal hard drive while it's connected to my computer via an external case?
Thanks

Relevancy 48.16%

Assume I have a hard disk which supports SATA III (=verified).

I want to put this hard disk into an external hard disk case and connect it by USB v3.0 to my computer.
Later I want to use case and hard disk as backup storage.

Now I doubt that the case supports really SATA III. My guess is that it supports only SATA II.

Ok, I assume the hard disk itself is working with SATA II too.
But I want to use the full speed und feature set of SATA III.

So how can I check the supported SATA versions of the case from Win 7?

Peter

A:Check if an external hard disk case support SATA III or only II ?

Hello,
You can use which SATA port you need...see here

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/364819-check-if-external-hard-disk-case-support-sata-iii-only-ii.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I use an WD external hard drive (1TB) for additional storage and it was working fine with no issues. The small USB connector broke off the board yesterday and I purchased a new enclosure and installed it. Now my computer does not recognize it as a storage device. I have all the data still on the HD and really do not want to loose it. Any advice on how to get the computer to recognize the external hard drive?

I tried adding a letter for the drive, but it does not show up to change the letter of the drive.

The PC is an HP that is about 4 months old. Windows 7, 64 bit.

Thanks for the assistance.

A:Existing external hard drive installed in new case, does not recognize

if the Hard drive is a SATA varient and not a IDE (which unless its ollld it wont be)

then you can simply open up your new pc case, and connect the drive directly to your motherboard using a SATA lead, and a serial power connection from your power supply.

If you dont have a spare SATA cable, then for now you can just use the power cable and lead from your DVD drive. This will allow you to back up your data for now, and will determine if the drive still works or not.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/206050-existing-external-hard-drive-installed-new-case-does-not-recognize.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I just spent like hours copying K files TB from a USB ext drive to a TB USB partition but at the very end I from to Copied external Folder? 600K external, files Merge got a handful of prompts to replace folders that already existed in the newly created folder asked me to merge the original folder with the one just copied on the destination drive eventually asking for permission to replace thousands of items and that's what it's doing now I don't know what's going on It appears that all files are there in both folders on each drive with the exception of half a dozen that wouldn't copy due to long filenames Nearest I can guess is Copied 600K files from external to external, Merge Folder? it is writing DOS names in addition to Windows names so the computer is going to spend more than a dozen more hours doing that Windows Explorer copy wrongly offers to merge folders Windows Explorer Copied 600K files from external to external, Merge Folder? copy wrongly offers to merge folders The folder being copied that is being merged is called Drive D probably from a backup of Win SE being restored onto a Win XP machine so it may resemble a system folder to Win

A:Copied 600K files from external to external, Merge Folder?

Mac - Recovering Data ... Sad Story of the "Replace Folder" Dialog Recovering Data ... Sad Story of the "Replace Folder" Dialog - MacRumors Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/266201-copied-600k-files-external-external-merge-folder.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Hi I have noted that on pcs that have a lota of ram say gb the page file is also greater then the ram I have seen almost gb of page file on few laptops So my question is is this needed Can't we disable the paging In da de in big of of lot files ram need case The a having for page of average user Who will just be using virtual boxwood one or two vms running in it and each set to gb and the system having gb ram In xp days when I had mb of ram I would set it to mb and all programs would run Later after upgrading ram of my old p to mb I would set it to mb Afterall the purpose of page file is to give a virtual ram to the os yo mitigate the issue of no memory In old days it was The need for big page files in case of having a lot of ram understandable to use page file and may be set it to times the amount of physical memory installed But nowadays with a lot of physical memory already available do we even need this page file thingy and above all in this huge proportion to ram Thanks

A:The need for big page files in case of having a lot of ram

To shut it off on win 8:

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/33491-need-big-page-files-case-having-lot-ram.html
Relevancy 45.58%

This involves machines My office box old gateway e windows me--- My laptop amd xp home connected to my home net via wireless--- desktop on home net disappearing the case of the files!! that I built for neighbor kids to play cs and use as file server amd xp pro---- Allrighty then I have a folder shared on the desktop which is mapped on my laptop as z I keep video clips in it that I download Has files in it currently Also I use pc anywhere to access my office pc from my laptop mainly just to learn its idiosynchrosies I have clients that use it I just downloaded clips from the office box to the shared download directory via pc anywhere file the case of the disappearing files!! transfer After the transfer completed I the case of the disappearing files!! looked for the files in the download directory nowhere to be found The files that were there originally are still there but no new ones Have searched all drives even other the case of the disappearing files!! boxes on my home net just for giggles cannot find them If I try to transfer them again pcanywhere says the file exists and gives me the option to replace them Pcanywhere maps to this drive through my laptop via c documents and settings mike nethood download on desktop Have rebooted desktop machine and restarted pcanywhere several times and still cant locate them but pcanywhere sees them as being there Theme from twilight zone plays in background Am I nutz nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/the-case-of-the-disappearing-files.554182/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi everyone I'm hoping someone reading this can solve the problem that I haven't been able to So here desktop disappearing files of Case is the story My wife bought a new Dell last month It had Vista Home Premium installed on it She has been using the computer to store school-related documents Case of disappearing desktop files class notes chapter reviews etc She turned the computer on this morning and all of her desktop folders with the school-related documents were gone I searched for the files and found them in her C drive under her username and AppData No matter what I do I can't seem to pull those files out or view them I tried ShadowExplorer and that did not help What I think happened is that in switching between two networks one at home and one at school her desktop files were relocated from her C drive to the school network I don't know how that happened or if that is even possible She often does not shutdown her computer when she leaves Case of disappearing desktop files school So as I have seen in the past her Dell cannot connect to the school network but no errors come up as she edits documents and saves those changes Is there anything I'm missing here Could there be a simpler solution Could some files have been corrupted and are those files lost for good Any help you might be able to offer would be appreciated Thank you

A:Case of disappearing desktop files

Just one thing comes to mind. If the the school network is domain controled it could be that your wife would have two accounts one local and one controlled by the domain at school. are the documents normally created at school while on that network?.
if this is the case then it could be that these files are set to "Make available offline " and would therefore normally be available to use when at home. What may have happened is some glitch when logging off from the school network has left some Phantom files on your local harddisk.

you did not indicate in your post if you had re-connected to the school network since the problem occured. Hopefully re-connecting to the network will re-connect the files also

You could have a look at the files you can see and right click one of the files and select properties then Security and in the dialog that appears check what rights you have to the file. If you see your account it should have ticks against all items. If you see an id starting with S- and a lot of numbers then that would be a user not known to your system and would point to the scool network identity.

as a local administrator you should be able to alter the rights to give yoursefe full rights which would then allow you to edit the files.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/178314-case-disappearing-desktop-files.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I hope someone can help or explain this problem for me I have a DVD I made of my website The website is constructed with every thing relative to the local system so that it will operate from the DVD My XP system has DVD drives One is a And Upper All Displays Directories Files Dvd Case read only Dvd Displays All Upper Case Directories And Files E and the other is a R W drive F The problem is that on the read Dvd Displays All Upper Case Directories And Files only drive ALL the directory and file names are in upper case and they are truncated to characters DOS files For instance ThisIsanImage jpg wil be THISISANI JPG and index html will Dvd Displays All Upper Case Directories And Files be INDEX HTML If I copy the files to my hard drive the result is the same Of course the html involved will not function with the case of names and directories being changed However if I put the DVD in my R W drive the directory names and file names are correct and in mixed case with names longer than characters The website works fro this drive and copies to my hard drive ok I have never run into this before Any one know what s going on Do I have a setting some where in XP that I don t know about Your assistance is most welcome as I want to be able to send this DVD to other people but I can t be confident that they won t have a problem Regards SD

A:Dvd Displays All Upper Case Directories And Files

Open the Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc"). Locate the DVD drive that's giving you problems, right click on it and select "Uninstall". After it has uninstalled reboot the computer (it will be automatically reinstalled on reboot).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/142978/dvd-displays-all-upper-case-directories-and-files/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a free programme that gives me or more if needed cctv cams which i can access either streaming or refreshable jpegs from anywhere in the world There is also the excellent facility that upon setting the motion detector to cover a customisable zone it will email a series of jpegs to a designated address and or server as well as the pc itself but not much use in that if the burglar has hot-footed it with your pc In the event of someone stealing my computer i would of liked to have had it set so that one has to log in with a password to access it Obviously with the cctv security needing to operate i can t log it off when i scenario of theft files how in case secure In this leave home so that isn t an option Am i right in presuming one can t password protect folders such as my documents email and IM services The first of those is the crucial one as well as other folders i have such as my website files which i edit and upload via FTP How do i get round having to leave the pc on in case of burgalry in order to get photos of the thieves and In case of theft how secure files in this scenario wishing to make certain folders password protected I use Windows XP Media Centre I understand that is basically the Pro version with added media centre

A:In case of theft how secure files in this scenario

If you ctrl alt delete you can "lock" the computer. That should allow the cctv to work and require a password to unlock the computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/302511/in-case-of-theft-how-secure-files-in-this-scenario/
Relevancy 44.29%

Running Win7Pro 64-bit. Am unable to open older Office 97 files with Office2003 which is installed and running fine. I found a couple of files here and elsewhere with .reg extensions that were supposed to make the necessary registry changes. eg. "UnlockWord.reg" and a more elaborate-looking "office security.reg". All that happens when I left-click on the file and thenleft-click on "Run" is the files opens in Notepad and has no effect.

What do I need to do to have the .reg files change the registry to Unblock my Word97 files ?

A:.reg files open Notepad - do not change registry to read older files

Hello SausalitoWalt, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Double check in Default Programs to make sure that the reg file extension is set to have it's Current Default program set as Registry Editor (C:\Windows\regedit.exe). Afterwards, try merging the REG file again to see if it will now.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/205361-reg-files-open-notepad-do-not-change-registry-read-older-files.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I'm searching across thirty-some Word documents in one folder. How can I specify a search for words with specific case requirements? I'm looking for the word "lesson," not "Lesson," and I want to see what files it occurs in and where those occurrences are.

Thanks for any help.

PS: Bonus points to anyone who can tell me how to use Word itself to search across multiple Word files. Word's search is a lot easier to use.

Again, thanks.

A:Searching for upper- or lower-case words in files.

The only program that I'm aware of and am 100% certain can do case sensitive searches is GREP... but that requires doing it at the C:\ prompt.

But then again... I don't use Word for anything but term papers.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/203241-searching-upper-lower-case-words-files.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I have copied files from an infected computer to - a flash drive and a - portable hard drive that plugs into a usb port - the files I want to copy are both data files and application files - Data files include text files ms office documents image files videos etc - Application files include MS Access mdb data base files which may include visual basic for applications code - Ditto for Excel files - Some application development stuff like MS Visual Studio Projects How can I safely scan these files before putting them on a clean computer Thanks for any help PS I think I have Autorun turned off on the clean computer via using RegEdit to go to HKEY CURRENT USER gt Software gt Microsoft gt Windows gt CurrentVersion gt Policies gt Explorer gt quot NoDriveTypeAutoRun quot and verifying that the hex value of the first byte is which as I understand it to How on files) drive? external files safely (or scan other data exclueds unknown removable and remote drives from autorun via instructions here http autorun moonvalley com enable htm

A:How to safely scan data files (or other files) on external drive?

Install Panda USB Vaccine, or BitDefender?s USB Immunizer on your computer to protect it from any infected USB device.Then you're safe to connect any external device and scan it with your AV program.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/459742/how-to-safely-scan-data-files-or-other-files-on-external-drive/
Relevancy 43.86%

I have a Windows 8.1 Desktop.
I installed a 2.5" WD second hard drive, formatted it and all was fine.
I then removed the 2.5" HD, put it in an external usb case and transferred files from my Windows XP laptop.
When I put the HD back into the desktop, there were no files on the disk, said something like 951GB / 951GB free.
I removed it again and checked using the XP laptop / usb case and all the files are shown.
All HDs on the desktop / laptop are formatted NTFS.

thanks

A:Transferred Files to Desktop HD From WinXP Using External USB Files Not Showing

Have you tried Easy Transfer? Also, you might have problems transferring from 32 bit to 64 bit computer.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/transferred-files-to-desktop-hd-from-winxp-using-external-usb-files-not-showing-1120481.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I have a wdlogo.ico
and
the following file on the root
name of the file autorun.inf
[autorun]
icon="wdlogo.ico"

But i see no changes in the explorer

A:how to change icon for external hd

Hello glda19,

You might see if one of the other options in the tutorial below may work better for you.

Drive Icon - Change - Windows 7 Help Forums

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/61686-how-change-icon-external-hd.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Have a Western Digital external HD WD BEV External USB Device It is about years old but was only used once Recently resurrected the device to carry about TXT files AutoCad VBA code snippets When using the device between PCs -- if device was hot plugged the PC froze not even Ctrl Alt Delete would raise quot Task Manager quot Radical shut-down with quot Startup quot btn on PC The only way to access the device was from a cold start with the device plugged in Copied data device ICO INF files to a safe folder Reformated the external-device as NTFS Copied all data files back onto the device including the ICO INF files original Western Digital ICO INF files Device now runs change HD external Cannot for icon like a new one except The icon now fails all I get is the default windows icon instead of the WD icon With a lot of drives Cannot change icon for external HD active I would like a distinctive icon Have also rewritten the INF file as a precaution with and without quot Link quot Why is the icon not quot sticking quot I would appreciate any help Thank you PCs are Win x Win x WinXP x

A:Cannot change icon for external HD

How to change the default icon for any external drive:

Find/make and then copy a .ico icon file onto your external hard drive, call it say wdicon.ico.

Open Notepad, type the following and save it as autorun.inf on the external drive.

[autorun]
icon = wdicon.ico
label = WD 1

(You may give any name to the icon and also any label to your ext. HDD but that should reflect in the autorun.inf file correctly)

A typical icon autorun file created by Rufus for its bootable pendrive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/280904-cannot-change-icon-external-hd.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I currently have a WD Passport I bought back in Summer 2013. It is still working as well as it always has. How often should I change my external drive? I know that a lot of people say their drives last about 2 years but are these people all just having bad experiences? My old external drive is 5+ years old and it still worked last time I checked except that videos play slow off of it.
Also, I use my drive only when I need to backup my photos from my camera and computer which is about every 3 months. Should I check on the drive just in case more often?
One last thing, do external drives use SMART alerts like internal drives do? Or will I have to time switching my external drive before the failure happens if there are no alerts? (I do have backups though)

A:How often should I change my external drive

Hey!

Hard drives are very delicate hardware, like any other. Truthfully, it could be hard to determine how long one external drive should last, a few years most probably.

But technology advances more with every day, and the HDDs life depends not only on its manufacturing quality, but also on its shipment, packaging, where it was bought from, how it was stored and kept, how it's used, maintained and taken care of, if its been hit, dropped, or with a virus at some point, if it has endured a power surge or corrupted file transfer, etc. Additionally, the cable also plays a role. Many of the drives issues are due to faulty or damaged cables. Any drive that's beginning to fail would show signs of deteriorating performance.

Another thing, having one copy of your files is not a back up, nor a safe keeping. You should have at least two copies of your information and then you can be more relaxed about it.

Do regular check ups on your WD My Passport, defragment it regularly, use an antivirus, safely remove the hardware after use. Using the drive more often or more rarely shouldn't make a noticeable difference unless something done wrong, like unplugging unsafely or something else.

If it is really working nicely after these two years, that's good, and I am happy to hear it.

CK_WD

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/363642-how-often-should-i-change-my-external-drive.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I'm looking at a Sabrent EC-UEIS7 Hard Drive Enclosure - 3.5" IDE/SATA to USB 2.0, eSATA in order to use one of my now internal Sata drives as an 'external' backup device.

If I turn the external power off on the back of the external Sata enclosure with my extra old Sata connected in it...will that drive then be safe from any virus/malware attacks from within my system (or online) even if the external enclosure Sata cable is still connected to the main PC?

I'm assuming if I have the power switch switched off on this external enclosure with my Sata drive...then nothing can read/write to the Sata drive in this external case ?

Thanks...TRinAZ

A:Safety of internal 3.5 Sata IDE in external Sata case for backups

Yes, that is correct. The HDD must have power and data to function in any capacity.

If there is no power going to any drive then they can not read or write anything even if the data cable is attached.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/224279-safety-internal-3-5-sata-ide-external-sata-case-backups.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hello I'm running Windows bit When I plug in an SD card or Files storage on with .lnk replaced files folders and external USB drive into my computer all the files and folders are replaced with lnk files with the same name as the original In addition all the files and Files and folders on external storage replaced with .lnk files folders are hidden and I don't seem to be able to unhide them This does not happen every time I plug it in but it happens fairly often The motive behind the lnks is clear when I look at its properties Here is an example of what one looks like replacing a file named splash lua SystemRoot system cmd exe c start cd splash lua amp start cd wyNdYUwEdFccnce exe amp exit It is starting another hidden file which is the virus I've run full scans Files and folders on external storage replaced with .lnk files with Malwarebytes AntiMalware and Avast free Antivirus but they found nothing I even tried Malwarebytes AntiRootkit and it found nothing either Possibly related to this a folder appeared in the root of both my hard drive partitions called Recycle Bin I've heard of other people with this identifying it as malware so I figured I should mention it However the thing that worries me most is that if I didn't notice that the files were lnks I would have no idea anything fishy is going on at all My antiviruses said nothing and there's no reason to think I would have a virus Is there anyway to be sure there is no malware at all after I take care of it For all I know someone could be recording all my passwords and everything I type and I would have no idea Thank you very much --

A:Files and folders on external storage replaced with .lnk files

Seeing that no one responded to your topic yet, I'd suggest you open another one in http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

I would approach your problem using Farbars Recovery Scan Tool, but as per forum rules I can't give you instructions regarding that on this forum, so I can't help you in that regard in this topic.

When you create another topic in the other forum section you could include a report from USBFix: http://www.en.usbfix.net (alternate download: http://www.infospyware.com/utiles/usbfix/ click "descargar").
Once downloaded start it as administrator (right click > run as admin) and when prompted connect your drives containing .lnk files. After that click 'research'. When completed a report will open (can also be found at C:\usbfix.txt). Post that one to your new topic. 
You can open USBFix once again and this time press 'listing'. It will create another report detailing your various filesystem root locations. Attach that log file, too.

Best of luck.

edit for typo.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/560147/files-and-folders-on-external-storage-replaced-with-lnk-files/
Relevancy 43.43%

Alright so i wanted to set my External Hard Drive letter to K because my iTunes XML library file recognizes all my music being on path K:\ and so on.

Can anyone figure out what's up? Please.

I have an idea it might because of my 5-in-1 card reader but in my XP OS it showed them by default under the "My Computer" option regardless of there being a card or not. Do you think that in 7 a card actually has to be present for it to have shown up?

A:Why can't I change my External HD to Drive Letter K?

I you go to folder options in the control panel got o the "view" tab and check the box to show hidden folders, files and drives....you may find that a card reader or something else already has that letter in use.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/9105-why-cant-i-change-my-external-hd-drive-letter-k.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi guys, I have a hp pavilion dv6 laptop with a broken screen that i have been running through my television via a hdmi cable and never had a problem. Today i updated to windows 10, since the update and the restart, my television has not been registering that my laptop is plugged in. I have tried fn + f4 and it wont change over. I can hear that my computer is working, but cant see what it is doing,, please help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-change-screen-to-external-monitor.1158060/
Relevancy 43.43%

I am networked to another home computer that has an external WD drive connected through a router. I managed to get the sharing done so that I could see it from my computer. But just recently for no apparent reason, the drive's category has changed to MEDIA and whenever I try to open it to get to my documents, Windows Media opens instead. Granted there is alot of music on that drive, but that is not the only thing. I am not even going to try to explore why the change happened, I just need access to that drive as something other than media. What can I do to change the category of an external drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-change-catagory-of-external-device.1133958/
Relevancy 43.43%

I have a friend who thought deleting some stuff from the windows folder was a good idea. So now the computer wont boot in any mode. A windows repair also just hangs on 'Saving Configuration'. I would like to just back up the data and do a full reinstall of Windows. But when I connect it to anther computer and go into the drive to copy the data, im getting access denied errors. It wont let me go into the user accounts data. I tried on a W7 machine as well as XP.

Any way to change permissions on this data to access it?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-permissions-on-external-data.956439/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hello
I hope this in the correct forum. We have an Cisco ASA5510 Firewall. We are changing our ISP provider so we need to change the external Ip address of the cisco ASA5510 is that easy to do? In configuration then interface we have ethernet 0/0 to the outside world of our old external IP do I edit that with the New external Ip address. Ethernet 0/1 inside will same the same 192.168.1.1. I noticed a startup wizard is that easy to use instead? We also have VPN I can't seem to find where I change the IP address the user connect to, or when I do a global edit this change all the old external IP?
Regards

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/asa5510-change-external-ip-address.1014494/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi guys, I have a 2TB external storage (AC power source).

Usually I click properties, then customise, but there doesnt seem to be a "Change Icon" option.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.
Sam

A:How to change icon for external storage

Drive Icon - Change

one way of doing it is to have two files in the root folder of your drive.

1 - a file called Autorun.inf containing the following:

Code:
[Autorun]
icon=Icon1.ico
2 - the actual icon itself, in this case called Icon1.ico

i've attached mine as an example, i've had to zip them up as i can't seem to upload the files as they are, due to their extensions.

if you use your own custom icon, you'll need to modify the autorun.ico file so it contains the same name as your icon (- or rename your icon, so it matches the filename in autorun.ico)

i hope that's not too confusing

do post back if you need more help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/159861-how-change-icon-external-storage.html
Relevancy 43.43%

I have go through the tutorial 3 times but no icon is changing. What could be the problem is it my dimensions of my icon? 128 X 128? I have plugged it out and in please help me?

A:My external icon doesn't want to change

Hello Core7,

Since this is a external drive, did you use OPTION ONE in the tutorial below?

Drive Icon - Change

If you did, then could you upload you icon in a ZIP file. The 128x128 size could be the problem, but I'll take a look at it to see if it may work or not for me as well.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/142315-my-external-icon-doesnt-want-change.html
Relevancy 43.43%

I purchased a Sabrent 3.5 IDE external drive case so I can put in a Western Digital 500gb PATA drive. When we plug it into the USB port, it starts to recognize the drive and Windows 7 says that it is installing the driver and then we get the message driver installed failed. Anyone have any suggestions on how to make this recognized?

The manufactures website says the drive is recognized up to a 3tb and supports Standard Desktop 3.5″ IDE/PATA Desktop Hard Drives. It is a model ECS-U35K

Thanks

Paul DiModica

A:External Drive case not recognizing hard drive

Hello dimodical,

Try opening up Disk Management with the external drive connected. See if Disk Management see the drive or not. If it sees the drive right click on the drive and try to initialize\format the drive.

Hope this helps

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/453040/external-drive-case-not-recognizing-hard-drive/
Relevancy 43%

THIS IS NOT A REQUEST FOR HELP but your comments are welcome Just a trick to replace the registry hive in case everything else fails or repair files are also corrupted It saved my life system restore never works when needed but the files are still there for you to choose from The C drive holds the of I found an extra of files registry copy TRICK: in case crash system volume information folder if it is hidden you have to make it visible in tools folder options view you also have to take ownership in order to open it sharing amp security security inside there are many restore folders do not choose the more recent as it may contain damaged files look on a folder that will contain a folder TRICK: I found an extra copy of registry files in case of crash named snapshot there you will find your registry files SAM SECURITY SOFWARE SYSTEM and DEFAULT you will have only to rename them as such since in this folder they are named as quot registry machine SYSTEM quot etc I found also many files stored in this treasure chest to simplify the TRICK: I found an extra copy of registry files in case of crash task better install your drive as slave in another computer nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trick-i-found-an-extra-copy-of-registry-files-in-case-of-crash.726175/
Relevancy 43%

I ve seen a few problems identical to mine except the fix seemingly isn t allowed I m hoping for change letter) missing HDD drive External (can't some guidance I have a WD HDD from my previous desktop I m trying to access Win I bought an IDE USB adaptor and plugged it into my new desktop Vista All seems to be working disk spins up new hardware found External HDD missing (can't change drive letter) USB mass storage device ready but the drive doesn t show up in quot My Computer quot It does show up in both Device Manager and Disk Management In Disk Managment is shows up with no drive letter The previous fixes I have seen suggested changing the drive letter and that seemed to solve it That where my problem starts - right-clicking only gives me the option quot delete volume quot The quot change drive letter quot is there but grayed out and inaccessible I do have admin right under both OS s Any help would be appreciated Thank you nbsp

A:External HDD missing (can't change drive letter)

<Illegal suggestion for download>

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hdd-missing-cant-change-drive-letter.572623/
Relevancy 43%

I can't remember doing anything this stupid to my computers in a long time but seriously need help now I was working with a TB external hard drive when I selected to change the security permission access and then realized that wasn't what I wanted to do Permissions Security Access Can't To Change HD External so stopped the process midway A warning box popped up that the permissions were mixed on this external drive and that was it I closed this box and thought I could get back and alter the Can't Access External HD To Change Security Permissions permission settings for quot everyone quot but can't access the drive to change anything My OS is Windows Ultimate and the External HD is a TB WD Book I then reboot the main HP computer to see if this would reset something only to find that the External Drive no longer shows up in Windows Explorer except under 'Network' I can click on the drive there but can't access it to change anything - getting the same quot Access Denied quot error message After trying everything else I could think of I moved the external HD to another Windows computer but it wouldn't show up there at all in Explorer so I moved it back to the system where this mistake was made It's been many years since I've done any DOS commands but did find one named SUBINACL exe - but the instructions for this command only showed how to use it for an internal drive not an external drive so this explanation confused me Which may mean I need more specific instructions because DOS is now almost like a foreign language to me When trying to access this External Hard Drive I can get to the Properties box and it appears like I can alter permissions and add back an Admin profile but when I go to close these boxes the access denied comes back and nothing is changed All that shows up now is Everyone and this only has Read Permission nothing else is left I can't afford to pull out anymore of my hair can anyone help me please Thanks in advance

A:Can't Access External HD To Change Security Permissions

Instead of left-clicking on the external drive (on the original problem machine) and getting "Access Denied", have you tried right-clicking and going through the "change ownership" steps?

You can easily add "change ownership" to the context menu using this tutorial.

Then right-click on the drive in Explorer and see if you can get that external drive back under your control.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/216349-cant-access-external-hd-change-security-permissions.html