Windows Support Forum

Need JS method to select a directory (not file)

Q: Need JS method to select a directory (not file)

HTML allows a user on the client-side to select a file using the <INPUT type="file" ...> construct.

I'm looking for a similar ability to have the selection of a directory on the client side. My constraints are that the only non-vanilla HTML solutions allowed are javascript.

Anyone have any insight on how to do this?

Thanks!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-js-method-to-select-a-directory-not-file.18148/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Need JS method to select a directory (not file)

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 65.36%

I am trying to set up a wifi connection, but I'm having a strange issue. When using WPA/WPA2 enterprise I only have 2 network authentication methods: smart card or PEAP. Im 100% sure I had EAP-TTLS on a different machine using the same OS (win7 professional),
so I have no idea what to do.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4d045c47-3e1a-468d-a36d-7468581b638b/cannot-select-eapttls-as-network-authentication-method?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 65.36%

I've essentially planned a new computer consisting of a CPU motherboard and of course a new hard drive being a GB Force SSD Currently I have GB worth of OS programs and games installed on this TB Caviar and I was originally thinking to first cut it down by uninstalling everything I of What's to the drive? method files best new select a restoring wouldn't plan to keep on my SSD perform an image backup with Macrium Reflect and restore the image to the SSD My friend informed me it's better to have a fresh OS install on SSDs Why so unless anyone wishes to tell me otherwise I plan to update to Windows along with this computer I don't currently have Reflect setup to backup images along with user media nor would I know how to restore it Otherwise I would revert to cloud to backup just the important data or simply copy it to one of my other HDDs Regardless first priority is to request help here otherwise I'll fall flat on my face What is the best way of going about this Thanks

A:What's the best method of restoring select files to a new drive?

First I agree that you need a new (fresh/clean) install. You can try to use the old OS but it will get messy and if the old OS was an OEM version it can't be activated on the new system. Even a full version OS will need to be activated along with installing drivers, etc for the new system. Not a wise idea.

If you are going with a new PC and an SSD for the OS (and select programs), why not just connect the existing hard drive as a second drive in the new PC. You can then copy what data you want to the SSD. You can't copy programs as they must be installed. You can also use the hard drive for OS backups (backup to the hard drive).

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/324640-whats-best-method-restoring-select-files-new-drive.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello everyone Firstly I would like to say that this seems like a swell enough forum as is and I am frankly out of ideas About a year ago I had backed up a rather large series of files under one name for my roommate who was in the process of doing some quot spring cleaning quot on his computer Fast forward to now and he is out of Hard-drive space damn near and has been unable to find the reserve itself error/ find directory/file path Cannot file File file himself Below is the directory under which I named and saved the around gb file of games and old-ROTC documents Regardless the file needs to be found and even after un-hiding all files from the control panel I have yet been able to locate it It would seem to be simple enough one would think that you could see the file name sitting above Program Files but it File path error/ Cannot find file directory/file itself is not Any one have any ideas we would rather not have to reformat system restore if File path error/ Cannot find file directory/file itself we can avoid it C common ORIGINAL NEW FAGS nbsp

A:File path error/ Cannot find file directory/file itself

I used a software called TreeSize which shows the size of all folders on the disk. Thinking that the Windows OS is around 18gb, a 200gb files should really stick out with TreeSize.
https://www.jam-software.de/customers/downloadTrial.php

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-path-error-cannot-find-file-directory-file-itself.1132592/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi all Working on a group lab project for a hangman game Java method Solved: paintComponent a trying a code; access method to in initial testing phase Flow of the game- user enters Solved: Java code; trying to access a method in a paintComponent method a word no try catches set yet of letters or less- if the second player enters an Solved: Java code; trying to access a method in a paintComponent method incorrect guess using a button- which tested works will draw a part of the hangman Three classes for the program one handles the logic one handles the gui setup including the main and the other handles the paintComponent As shown below in testing phase if a user enters an incorrect guess a call is made to the class that develops the hangman graphics drawLeg When running the program a null pointer exception is generated I ve thrown this code around a billion different ways with no relief- any pointers will be greatly appreciated Code for the main class Code import java awt import java awt event ActionEvent import java awt event ActionListener import javax swing import javax swing border public class HangmanHome public JPanel panelB public static void main String args Program opens with a dialog box control then goes to the interface This variable will be the vehicle for collecting the initial word- really it will be an array of char most likely String word word JOptionPane showInputDialog quot Hello lets play Hangman n quot quot Please enter a word up to letters in length quot Instantiate the interface JFrame frame new JFrame quot Test Hangman Interface quot frame setDefaultCloseOperation JFrame EXIT ON CLOSE Set up main panel JPanel mainPanel new JPanel mainPanel setPreferredSize new Dimension Top section of GUI JPanel panelA new JPanel panelA setPreferredSize new Dimension Border b BorderFactory createLineBorder Color blue panelA setBorder b JLabel message new JLabel HangmanLogic setBoard word message setFont new Font quot Arial quot Font BOLD panelA add message JPanel panelA new JPanel panelA setPreferredSize new Dimension Border b BorderFactory createLineBorder Color red panelA setBorder b message new JLabel quot Enter your word in the text box above quot message setFont new Font quot Arial quot Font BOLD panelA add message Center section of GUI JPanel panelB new JPanel panelB setPreferredSize new Dimension Layout manager used to place areas into panel BoxLayout layout new BoxLayout panelB BoxLayout X AXIS panelB setLayout layout Left area of center section JPanel panelb new JPanel panelb setPreferredSize new Dimension Layout manager used to place components into left area BoxLayout layout new BoxLayout panelb BoxLayout Y AXIS panelb setLayout layout First component JLabel l new JLabel quot Letter Guess quot panelb add l Add some space between components panelb add Box createRigidArea new Dimension Second component JTextField guessBox new JTextField panelb add guessBox Add a larger space between second and third component panelb add Box createRigidArea new Dimension Third component JButton btn new JButton quot Check My Guess quot panelb add btn Add space between third and fourth component panelb add Box createRigidArea new Dimension Fourth component- spaces added to give the button the same dimensions as the third component JButton btn new JButton quot Quit quot panelb add btn Add space between last component and bottom of area panelb add Box createRigidArea new Dimension Right area of center section calling designed class to accommodate hangman graphics JPanel panelB new JPanel HangmanGraphic deadMan new HangmanGraphic panelB add deadMan Add left and right areas to center section panelB add Box createRigidArea new Dimension panelB add panelb panelB add Box createRigidArea new Dimension panelB add panelb First lower section of GUI JPanel panelC new JPanel panelC setPreferredSize new Dimension Lowest section of GUI JPanel panelD new JPanel panelD setPreferredSize new Dimension Set up the alphabet labels JButton buttons new JBu... Read more

A:Solved: Java code; trying to access a method in a paintComponent method

Hi,

your g is null. You have not yet initialised it.

public static void drawLeg()//Graphics g
{
g.drawLine(180, 150, 210, 205);
//panelB.repaint();
//System.out.println("access to the class");
}

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-java-code-trying-to-access-a-method-in-a-paintcomponent-method.957550/
Relevancy 51.6%

Aside from the obvious task of navigating to a registry key that has been altered by way of a .REG file, is there any other way to determine if a custom .reg file was successful in its task? More so, whether or not access may or may not have been denied to a specific registry key?

When you run a batch file, you can look over the results in the command prompt and see which commands were executed successfully or were denied, so I guess that is more what I am wondering is possible with reg files

A:Method for checking .REG file success

Looks like the method is built in automatically as I received an error box stating that not all the keys were successfully altered however, determining which key is the next step...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/399575-method-checking-reg-file-success.html
Relevancy 51.6%

hi
I was trying to install a file so I can tether my phone to my desktop computer n I downloaded this file for it and eveytime I right cliick n click install this install error message comes up "the INF file you selected does not support this method of installation" someone please help! I've been lookin all day to figure it out but no success what can I do to get it to install! Please let me know thanks!

A:Inf file does not support this method of installation

Originally Posted by Athurman

hi
I was trying to install a file so I can tether my phone to my desktop computer n I downloaded this file for it and eveytime I right cliick n click install this install error message comes up "the INF file you selected does not support this method of installation" someone please help! I've been lookin all day to figure it out but no success what can I do to get it to install! Please let me know thanks!

Welcome to the forum,

I think if you try this method to install you will have better luck with it,

Device Manager - Install Driver

Let us know how it goes.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/290248-inf-file-does-not-support-method-installation.html
Relevancy 51.6%

OK, Access gurus--

Is there a method in Access VBA to invoke a file-browsing dialog box, similar to Excel's GetOpenFilename method? I'm building a database that looks at another database and documents its tables, queries, forms, and the fields associated with each, and I'd like my users to be able to select a database for analysis using the standard Explorer-style interface.

Incidentally, this is one heck of a great web site. Keep it up!

--Don S.

A:Access file-browsing method--is there one?

Sorry, Access does not include such a control.

All is not lost however. If you have some other development program installed on your computer like Visual Basic or Visual C++, or (probably) if you have the development edition of Access you can use a Common Dialog Control which is exactly what you want. Access does not come with the CDC but if you have it on your computer from somewhere else you can use it in Access too under ActiveX Controls.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-file-browsing-method-is-there-one.36846/
Relevancy 51.6%

I have a problem with space on my windows partition what temp files can I search for and earse the contents of without any worries and secondlly what is the best method of compressing files(tct,mp3,divx,everything under the hood) to save space I dont even have enough space to defragment. I know I need to buy a new hard drive but right now thats not the option so what should I do?

A:best method for storage and file compression

start/programs/accessories/system tools/disk cleanup

Don't bother compressing your mp3's or movie files. They wont compress much if at all.

I would say you start uninstalling programs yo don't need. Games take up a lot of space. It sounds like you are in need of a new HD

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/best-method-for-storage-and-file-compression.146724/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hopefully someone can help me with this I captured a min segment flv flash video clip of the Today show on the NBC website using my windows bit Firefox and a firefox app quot Download Helper quot which appears to have produced an acceptable end flv file video I want to burn this onto a dvd for playing on a regular home stand alone dvd player I ve tried burning it using DVD Flick using the original flv file and the end result is that when the dvd is played on my samsung dvd player the image is ok but the first or so seconds of it have no sound and is out of sync and then it continues to play normally but with quot Jittering quot of the video here and there as it plays When the same dvd is played on my computer the sound sync problem does not occur it s all there from the start in sync although there is still a bit of jittering Not in the original file when played on the computer I should mention that DVD Flick is an excellent software and I always use it to burn video files to dvd with file for flv Solved: Method burning dvd Best to never a problem By the way the burning speed on dvd flick is set to X apparently by default with no apparent way to change that as Solved: Best Method for burning flv file to dvd it is greyed out Maybe I could figure that out if I have to change it for some reason to fix this problem I am wondering what I need to do in order to produce a dvd that will play correctly on the Samsung as the one I have burned plays on the computer I burned the one above on a re-writeable disk as I already burned it to a R writeable disk which had the same problem The samsung plays all my other burned movies etc without problem Can anyone offer an explanation and solution I ve tried to research this on the internet but always find myself drowning in a sea of advertisements posing as possible solutions and previous outdated forum answers which quickly go quot Off Point quot or don t really address my question Thanks for any suggestions nbsp

A:Solved: Best Method for burning flv file to dvd

I'd use Format Factory to convert the flv to avi .. Edit the avi in Windows 7's Movie Maker ..
then make a DVD with W7's DVD maker

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-best-method-for-burning-flv-file-to-dvd.1103891/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello hello. I was wondering if anybody could tell me what method I would be able to use in order to lock an .exe file, so that it wouldn't be able to be opened up in the standard way, except through the use of another program.

If somebody could give a me a solution, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

A:Some Manner of Method for File Access

If you're writing (coding and compiling) the exe, why not make it a dll? (I wouldn't know how to actually do this - just suggesting the idea).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/some-manner-of-method-for-file-access-314410.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I have friends that send me files, and I want to send files and Skype & MSN's file transfer method is just WAY too slow. I have a 500 kbs+ connection (U-Verse) and figure this should go faster than 30 Kbs.

Uploading to Internet storage is WAY to slow, and also unreliable. UltraVNC moved stuff pretty quickly, but I can't convince people to open their system to that level of access.

Is there some "best" file transfer system/method/program that everyone else but me knows about ?

Thanks,

Girderman

A:What's the Best Internet File Transfer Method ?

I think that would be a problem with the ISP limiting your upload speed. Is 500Kbs your upload or download speed?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/whats-the-best-internet-file-transfer-method-132140.html
Relevancy 51.6%

please advise on how to solve before mentioned issue......i am trying to install aethros n/w adapter for my hp-g60 127nr notebook on win7 platform...i have downloaded the .inf file but unable to install it...please advice on how to go about it

A:ERR:INF file you selected does not support this method

mukulbawa
Hi and welcome to sevenforums

You can get the driver here Select your operating system HP G60-127NR Notebook PC - HP technical support (Africa - English)

Im not sure if you are 32bit or 64, so you are going to have to pick. when you download the driver there are two types. read the documentation to find out which. they usually either install by double clicking on the exe file, or if they are zipped you unzip them to a folder and go into device manager click on the device, update driver, and point to the folder where you stored the files

Hope this helps

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/25709-err-inf-file-you-selected-does-not-support-method.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi there ,

I've been struggling trying to find out how I can change the Selected File color , in File Explorer since

I switched to Windows 8. Looks like it's now a setting in the registry under control panel - colors -

and have to enter values manually ???

I am sick of the always blue-ish selection color when selecting multiple file in Detail view and or

thumbnail view , it's so HARD to see what's selected in this Powder blue color.

Please if anyone can assist in help me with this , much appreciated .

Thank you

Ralph

A:Color change select file in file explorer , don't like Blu

Hello honsbeek.

If you like, the selected file color can be changed in high contrast mode from personalization.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/60468-color-change-select-file-file-explorer-dont-like-blu.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I am using Libraries in Windows 7 64-bit. I understand how to include folders in a given library, but is there a way to include ONLY certain files in an included folder? In other words, I want some of the files in the actual folder to appear in the library, and other files in the folder to NOT appear.

A:[SOLVED] Library File Exclusion Method

There doesn't appear to be a way to only show certain files in a folder. The library will display whatever was placed there.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-library-file-exclusion-method-937426.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I'm trying to install my LG W1941S
I'm using Windows 7 32bit
but when I click install it says
The INF File You selected does not support this method of installation
Please help

A:The INF File You selected does not support this method of installation

Try opening device manager, selecting the Monitor in question, then select update driver, and then "Browse My Computer" to the inf file.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/106961-inf-file-you-selected-does-not-support-method-installation.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hey goes the file to...? - recovery Hard method drive best everyone I have a hard drive that does not seem to open when it is connected to any pc or mac computer A Hard drive file recovery - the best method goes to...? screen pops up which installs the driver but after that takes place it does not display under the normal location in the computer folder I did find it in the computer management area image Hard drive file recovery - the best method goes to...? at the bottom of post though I'd like to know Hard drive file recovery - the best method goes to...? if there is an easy way to gain the files off it or what preferred free program I should use to get to the files without the risk of losing too many I also would like to know if the drive is on the 'fritz' or on its way out Would reformatting be the best option to get it to work after removing the files on it first of course or if it has become a heavy paperweight It is one of those old huge and heavy HDDs Any help would be very much appreciated PICTURE from disk management PLEASE NOTE My Page File is on an unrelated SSD but I do have one if you were curious Also this problematic HDD was not originally connected to my current computer In case it is needed the problematic drive is labeled Disk in the image

A:Hard drive file recovery - the best method goes to...?

Seems like that middle partition doesn't have a letter assigned to it, did you try that ?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/62025-hard-drive-file-recovery-best-method-goes.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I'm in the process of repair/recovery of my machine (Dell Inspiron 8500 with Windows XP Home, Service Pack 2). I'm following exactly the instructions in: http://attachments.techguy.org/attac...chmentid=62075, but a problem has developed. The "software" file (which is the file that the original blue screen error message says is "corrupt, absent or not writable") will not copy to the new tmp directory to create the backup. My understanding from the article is that this backup file (software.bak) will later be used to restore correct settings for various software applications. Since I can't copy it, it appears that I am screwed, no? Or is there a way out somehow?

Thanks to anyone who's been there and can help...

BTW I have the XP installation disk that came with, and a diagnostics disk which I have not yet run.

Jeeb

A:Blue Screen: Registry File Failure; can't copy corrupted file to tmp directory

Never mind, I had it wrong--didn't read the document referred to above carefully enough. The procedure worked like a charm, and the document is very easy to read and entertaining to boot! (pun intended).

The document describes a procedure that closely follows a Microsoft KB document (which I now can't find) but does not contain any warning regarding whether the OS is an OEM (original equipment manufacture) install or not. The Microsoft doc says not to use the procedure on an OEM-installed OS, but I just did it on my Dell, so that warning seems to be incorrect.

Many many thanks for the help provided by this document and this site.
Jeeb

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blue-screen-registry-file-failure-cant-copy-corrupted-file-to-tmp-directory.471037/
Relevancy 51.17%

I'm trying to recover an entire terabyte, and I don't want a recovery software which will scrap filenames and file structures, leaving an unintelligible mess to wade through. Is there a software which will preserve file names and structures, and possibly allow me to restore only particular directories?

A:Is there a file recovery software which preserves file names and directory structure?

Hmm; Normally any backup software would do this for you.

If you had a secondary copy (say other media to which you did a copy), then this would be a snap.

It sounds as if you only have the original media and you need to recover "whatever is possible".

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-there-a-file-recovery-software-which-preserves-file-names-and-directory-structure.191858/
Relevancy 51.17%

I cannot copy or paste jpeg files from my computer to my SD 2GB cards. Also, I get this msg when I try to print jpeg files. Using Adobe Elements I am able to archive these files. Oddly enough I can attach and send these jpeg files via email. Prior to August '08 was able to do these tasks without a problem. I suspect that there is a software compatibility problem since this problem came on suddenly (maybe iTunes?). No problems importing jpeg files from SD cards. I've looked at several sites on the internet but none seem to have the right solution for my problem. THANKS for any help that you can provide! -Stu

A:Error copying file or folder; cannot copy img the directory or file cannot be created

This has caught me more than once.

The problem is a limitation on the number of files and folders allowed in the root folder of a FAT16 file system (as for a memory card) of 512. (Note, this number is reduced much further if longer file names than 8 characters are used, as most people will want to).

When transferring the files onto the card, new files will be rejected when you hit this limit.

So keep your files in separate folders, so they are not all in the root folder.

For files and folders in root it might be worth keeping your filenames under 8 characters in length so you can use the full 512 files on root folder.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/error-copying-file-or-folder-cannot-copy-img-the-directory-or-file-cannot-be-created-309486.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I'm trying to recover an entire terabyte, and I don't want a recovery software which will scrap filenames and file structures, leaving an unintelligible mess to wade through. Is there a software which will preserve file names and structures, and possibly allow me to restore only particular directories?

A:Is there a file recovery software which preserves file names and directory structure?

have a look at this one

http://www.krollontrack.com/data-recovery/recovery-software/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-there-a-file-recovery-software-which-preserves-file-names-and-directory-structure.1097017/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello all We have a Windows Pro computer in an unsecure room acting as a is - server secure? file method shares network with this 7 Pro Win file server to other computers on the network My issue is with creating and securing network shared folders so that prying eyes can not access info not meant for them We currently have folders to share with different departments These folders are 'Accounting' 'Design' and 'Production' As mentioned there are other computers on the network and user accounts have been created on the file server to match the user accounts on Win 7 Pro file server with network shares - is this method secure? each of the computers For these user accounts on the file server we did however set up the users with passwords that are different than the password used on their own computer This was done to prevent anyone from logging into the file server and messing with it The method I am considering for sharing the 'Accounting' 'Design' and 'Production' folders is to share each folder on the file server and to add 'Everyone' as a user granting access to all users on the network To limit access to any particular user via the 'Security' tab on the shared folder I press the edit button and add the user Then all their permissions are set to deny I would add more users I wish to deny access in the same way It seems to work fine Mapping a network drive to the file server is allowed only by users not denied for the particular share and a password is not required to map to the share Is there any security risk to doing it this way or any downside I may encounter Thanks for any help TV

A:Win 7 Pro file server with network shares - is this method secure?

Hi there,

This is not an optimal solution. What you've done, if I understand your explanation properly is open up access (everyone), then put band-aids over it.

One better approach is to (a). Create groups for each department (b). Create the shares with permissions specific to each group (Accounting users can access the accounting share), then grant specific Allow permissions only to that group for that folder and sub-folders. You could add deny permissions for others, but it simply adds complexity that you don't need.

A good security model starts from a deny-all point and adds allow permissions as required. You are working the other way.. Allow all then deny as required. It may well work, but you risk missing something one day and then someone gets access to something they shouldn't.

It's better to have a user complain that can't access something (that you then fix), than have someone with access to something they shouldn't and they don't tell you about it.

Where possible you should always stay away from Everyone permissions.

Also, full control, unless specifically needed, should only be granted to administrators.

As a general rule of thumb, you open it up only as much as you need to to let the people who should have access gain access.

It may be that the credentials required to access the share are stored in your credential manager (see control panel). Password protected shares are a good thing, as long as you don't have to enter the password every time. Worked in one company that was a little naive in this regard. We had to login to every share every morning because they were so paranoid.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/333912-win-7-pro-file-server-network-shares-method-secure.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello I have a question to ask you Is there a means or a way to set the method of naming a file or folder in a sequential manner an suffix extension to the filename like etc or A B C etc or a user's own defined orderly A Please To Read...? Means The Method Naming Of A File/Folder - Set sequence when a user has copied or moved of a file or folder to a folder where the same file or A Means To Set The Method Of Naming A File/Folder - Please Read...? folder name already resides or exists I am also hoping for the means for the user to ACTIVELY SET OR SELECT customize the A Means To Set The Method Of Naming A File/Folder - Please Read...? sequential manner of an extension to the file name and then set it and forget it A Means To Set The Method Of Naming A File/Folder - Please Read...? so NO query is raised in the form of some GUI Graphic User Interface window to appear during the process of moving or copying the file or folder to a folder where the same file or folder name already resides I am not sure if there is some third party program application or software to install that performs like what I am asking above or if there is some system registry or system directory modification or change that allows for this I would think that it has connections with Windows Explorer is some manner Please provide your own detailed written steps facts suggestions hints and tips and or the best possible well written detailed and documented website links NOTE For your information I am using Windows -bit operating system which would be implicated with this issue Please reply Thank you

A:A Means To Set The Method Of Naming A File/Folder - Please Read...?

***Let me add an important point. I see it is potentially possible as a reader who has read my above initial question may have misconstrued my methodological instruction which after re-reading my initial post, I understand your perspective and I was not clear enough. Sorry about that! You may be thinking of a “mass renaming” of files and folders where I would have a 'GROUP of files and/or folders ALREADY' to rename. NO! Sorry! What I am asking is when I add (key words) *one-by-one* either a file or folder to a folder that has a file or a folder of the same file or folder name inside, it would assign a new file or folder name extension in sequence?

Please reply.

Thank you!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/194289-means-set-method-naming-file-folder-please-read.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Structure I have a network directory that stores photos of individuals in jpg format There may based that file file vbs bat rename directory / txt on copy in or be only pics of each person or there may be pics Each persons pics are stored in a randomly named directory subdirectory dont have any control over the original program it s vbs or bat file copy / rename based on txt file in that directory just the way it was written does not seem to follow any logical pattern possibly a HEX naming structure based off the date amp time who knows I will include a sample directory tree at the end of the post Included within each of these created directories along with the pictures is a standard text file filename quot B TXT quot which includes the date the picture was taken the persons name and other information Each time a person comes in and their picture is taken the program i creates the random directory ii stores the pics iii creates the quot vbs or bat file copy / rename based on txt file in that directory B TXT quot file with the persons information iv generates several other program specific files that I have no need for The program names each of the pictures with the exact same names which is why they are stored in different directories so they will not overwrite The retention period on each individuals directory pics and files is approximately days vbs or bat file copy / rename based on txt file in that directory MFXX jpg Forward facing MLXX jpg Left facing MRXX jpg Right facing STXX jpg Identifying marks picture STXX jpg Identifying marks picture As stated above sometimes there is only the MFXX jpg and MRXX jpg files but sometimes there is forward left right and multiple STXX files Problem I have created a simple batch file with a robocopy command that copies just the jpg and b txt files and saves them to a desktop computer this of course recreates the directory structure as well I retain the b txt file so that I will have the persons name and other information to go with the pictures At least this way I can goto the root directory of the many random subdirectories and run a search through windows explorer of the quot B TXT quot files searching for the text string of the persons name What I am trying to figure out is a simple batch file or script that will do the following Search through the root picture directory and sub-directories Search the quot B TXT quot file in each sub-directory for the text that follows the string quot NAM quot store this variable as NAM Search the quot B TXT quot file in each sub-directory for the text that follows the string quot DOE quot store this variable as DATE Rename the MFXX jpg file to quot NAM DATE MFXX quot being sequentially numbered files depending on how many pictures are in that particular directory Rename the MRXX jpg file to quot NAM DATE MRXX quot Rename the MLXX jpg file to quot NAM DATE MLXX quot Rename the STXX jpg file to quot NAM DATE STXX quot After this is done then I can do another simple search for jpg files using windows explorer search and drag and drop them all into a single directory and there should not be any duplicate file names Currently there are pictures however there are files named quot MFXX jpg quot files named quot MRXX jpg quot and so on The move to a single directory for all jpg files could also be incorporated into the script or batch file but that issue once they are renamed is a simple enough manual fix if need be Anyone have any ideas There are programs out there that will recurse subdirectories copying and renaming all files and depositing them in a single directory but none that will search for specific strings within each directory s text file with the naming properties - - - - - - STRUCTURE OF THE quot B TXT quot FILE STRINGS INFORMATION - - - - - - - - NAM quot BLOE JOE SMITH quot lt lt ------ need this as the first stored variable SEX quot M quot RAC quot W quot DOB quot quot HGT quot quot WGT quot quot EYE quot BRO quot HAI quot BRO quot DOE quot ... Read more

A:vbs or bat file copy / rename based on txt file in that directory

Wow, no takers yet ? I see there has been a few lookers, but no one - just a bump on the thread to get another look

many thanks to anyone that will give me a hand

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vbs-or-bat-file-copy-rename-based-on-txt-file-in-that-directory.987637/
Relevancy 50.31%

I want to periodically make a backup list of all files and directories on my two hard drives and save them to a text file.

I attempted to do this via this command line entry:

dir /b "C:\My Path" > myFiles.txt
And just FYI to everyone, that will not work without CMD.exe being run as an administrator.

But the problem is that the file list will only save for the files in that ONE directory. If you use "C:" in place of "C:\My Path" it just saves a list of files in the root directory only.

I want a log of the ENTIRE hard drive, and then also another hard drive, too
If there is a software that does this reliably, that would be fine, but if anyone is knowledgeable about how
to do it from the command line, then that would be great too.

Thanks for the help

A:Saving file and directory list to text file

Hi would this be of help there are 2 options to work with How to Print or Save a Directory Listing to a File

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/saving-file-and-directory-list-to-text-file-742945.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Hello I have a question to ask you Is there a means or a way to set the method of naming a file or folder in a sequential manner an suffix extension to the filename like etc or A B C etc or a user s own defined orderly sequence when a user has copied or TO Please Of Sequential Manner...? A File/Folder I A Means read... A Set For In Looking Am Naming The Method moved of a file or folder I Am Looking For A Means TO Set The Method Of Naming A File/Folder In A Sequential Manner...? Please read... to a folder where the same file or folder name already resides or exists I Am Looking For A Means TO Set The Method Of Naming A File/Folder In A Sequential Manner...? Please read... I am also hoping for the means for the user to ACTIVELY SET OR I Am Looking For A Means TO Set The Method Of Naming A File/Folder In A Sequential Manner...? Please read... SELECT customize the sequential manner of an extension to the file name and then set it and forget it so NO query is raised in the form of some GUI Graphic User Interface window to appear during the process of moving or copying the file or folder to a folder where the same file or folder name already resides I am not sure if there is some third party program application or software to install that performs like what I am asking above or if there is some system registry or system directory modification or change that allows for this I would think that it has connections with Windows Explorer is some manner Please provide your own detailed written steps facts suggestions hints and tips and or the best possible well written detailed and documented website links NOTE For your information I am using Windows -bit operating system which would be implicated with this issue Please reply Thank you

A:I Am Looking For A Means TO Set The Method Of Naming A File/Folder In A Sequential Manner...? Please read...

***Let me add an important point. I see it is potentially possible as a reader who has read my above initial question may have misconstrued my methodological instruction which after re-reading my initial post, I understand your perspective and I was not clear enough. Sorry about that! You may be thinking of a ?mass renaming? of files and folders where I would have a 'GROUP of files and/or folders ALREADY' to rename. NO! Sorry! What I am asking is when I add (key words) *one-by-one* either a file or folder to a folder that has a file or a folder of the same file or folder name inside, it would assign a new file or folder name extension in sequence?

Please reply.

Thank you!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/425448/i-am-looking-for-a-means-to-set-the-method-of-naming-a-filefolder-in-a-sequential-manner-please-read/
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi guys,
I'm a non-professional java developer who needs a way of taking a .txt file and turning it into a bunch of Strings (one String per line) so I can batch rename a bunch of files with filenames taken from the text file line by line; a kind of custom file renamer, but I'm struggling with the classes and methods needed for the first part of the project (ie getting a .txt file and turning each line into a String so I can rename files with it)

Any thoughts would be super appreciated.
chz
Ben

A:Need Java method for converting lines from text file into String objects

Hi mushka,

I know I have the program you need. It was lost among my old pieces of coding.
Finally, I got it.
I test the program and it works.
Remark : the process ignores empty lines and it may be executed on both Windows and Unix based OS.
Also, you must rename the files in attachment with the .java extension.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-java-method-for-converting-lines-from-text-file-into-string-objects.301824/
Relevancy 49.45%

I am trying to move a large batch of files from one folder to another on a WD "My Book" 500GB external drive and an error message keeps appearing saying the following: [Window title]: "Error moving File or Folder", [Message]: "Cannot move <filename> The directory or file cannot be created."
It seems as though I've reached a limit. Folder 1 had 29438 files in it. I tried moving all of those files into Folder 2 on the same drive (which has plenty of free space). Folder 2 accepted 22516 of those files at which point I received the error message. No further files can be added to Folder 2.

Can anyone help?

Sam

A:Cannot move file. The directory or file cannot be created...

From here:
http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com/itanswers/4096-file-limit-on-xp/
"Windows XP it self doesn't have a limit on the number of files per folder. It depends on the file system that you are using. The max files and folders per folder are:
FAT16 - 512
FAT32 - 65,534
NTFS - 4,294,967,295

If you use long file names for the files and folders (over 8 characters for the file name and 3 for the extension) then the number of files and folders available per folder will be reduced on the FAT16 and FAT32 file systems.

If you need to put more files and folders in a single folder you'll need to convert the drive to NTFS. "

Not certain if that will help, what format is the drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-move-file-the-directory-or-file-cannot-be-created.761417/
Relevancy 48.16%

Each time I open the browser a message pops up to
'Select Skin File'. Also, when I close the browser I get the message
that 'Internet Explorer is Experiencing Problems and is about to
close. How do I keep this from happening?

A:Select Skin File

Have any toolbars installed? Specifically the Viewpoint toolbar AlsoOpen IE, click on Tools, Internet options, Advanced, uncheck 'Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart)'.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/171036/select-skin-file/
Relevancy 48.16%

Whenever I downloaded a file in WinXP, a window would come up asking me where I wanted to save the file to. In Windows 7 HP, it just seems to automatically download to the current "users" Download file. How do I configure Win7 to work like XP? Thanks.

A:How do I select where to download a file to?

what version/flavor of browser are you using?

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/193830-how-do-i-select-where-download-file.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello I recently started working with Windows and I haven t figured out yet how to set a folder to select files to download When I go to a web form and I want set to a select file to How folder to upload files from my hard drive in all previous versions of Windows that I worked with I used to select once the desired folder pick a file to upload and for all subsequent file uploads pressing the quot Examin quot or quot Select file quot button would take me to the same folder saving me a lot of mouse clicks if I manually need How to set folder to select a file to upload several files Since I switched to Windows everytime I want to upload a file it takes me to the Documents Library and I need to navigate to the desired folder again I have used Shortcuts to eliminate some clicks but I prefer Windows to always go to the folder I used the last time I needed to select a file I have not found an applicable setting in the File and Folder options menu Any help is appreciated

A:How to set folder to select a file

Its an application setting, if the application wants to remember the last used directory then it is up to the developer of the application to make use of that. If it doesn't...well SOL.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/188797-how-set-folder-select-file.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I am using IE or FF and when i click on say a .jpg and do a save image as a windows browser opens to the fodler i was last in the issue is i want to move up the hiearchary and save in a different folder, this option was available in XP so i have to take the long way and go to music\folder\folder\ folder etc this takes too long where is the UP button?

A:when saving a file in IE or FF i have to select the folder

I believe Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements has that function, the maker of this program is a member here on the forum.
ANN: Classic Shell - start menu and other features

Jerry

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/306926-when-saving-file-ie-ff-i-have-select-folder.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi, I am using Vb6 in windows7

I have an .xlsx file name "D123456_98765xyc.xlsx" in a location eg C:\my docs\folder 1

I would like some vb code to move "D123456_98765xyc" to location C:\my docs\folder 2

The problem is that I want the script to locate and move the file by using only the first part of the file name e.g "D123456"

The idea is that I input "D12345" into a textbox in a userform that I have created and the code will search out the file with "D12345" as part of the file name and moves that file to another folder.

I'm a newbie at this so any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance guys !!

Relevancy 47.73%

Hi there ,

In Windows Explorer (file explorer) in thumbnail view or large icon view , when selecting a file or folder , it is highlighted in a color. This color for me has always been
a light blue-ish color which I am not liking that much. Please teach me how I can change the color of selected icons in explorer or multiple selected item with pressing CTRL .,

Thank you

Ralph

A:The select color in file explorer

From what I found doing Google Searches, the answer is no, at least not easily. You would have to create a new Theme with the color you wanted and that would preclude the use of downloaded themes from Microsoft.

You can change the color for some selections but not what you see in Windows explorer via:

Control Panel, Personalization, Windows Color, Advanced Appearance Settings.
Chose Selected Items from the Item: drop down then pick the color you want.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/268327-select-color-file-explorer.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Is the anyway to disable full row select in file manager?
Too many times I have moved a folder without meaning to.

Thanks,
Carol

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/17734-full-row-select-file-manager.html
Relevancy 47.3%

I have a hd partition for downloads containing directories for the different p2p pgms. Now these directories have become files without extension which are impossible to open. How can I get back my directories to save the contents in order to protect it from further bugs?
Thank you in advance, my problem is quite urgent, as lots of work wait for me

A:Directory to file

Hello and Welcome to TSF

Unfortunately we cannot assist you, this forum does not support p2p file sharing programs and since your files are the result of these programs we are unable to help. Using those type of programs most likely caused your "bug"

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/directory-to-file-152206.html
Relevancy 47.3%

ok so i have had this problem for a long time now....every time i boot up my desktop it runs this disk scanner and when it complethes the whole compputer restarts...then once it gets to the welcome screen i have an error pop up that says.."the file or directory C:\$MFT is corrupt and unreadable" this pops up about 50 times along with an error that says windows is low on virtual memory..after the 5 minutes of closing out all of the errors it just sits at the welcome screen...it wont let me run the chkdsk or anything...can someone please help me??? it will be greatly appreciated

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/file-or-directory-c-mft-370807.html
Relevancy 47.3%

When opening a file in 2010 MEP in Win 7 the window is fairly small and only a few files are visible. I have to either make the window larger every time or scroll through a small window. Does anyone know how to set the window so that it opens large (almost full screen) by default?

A:Setting file select window size

Next time it opens small, drag the sides of the window (left, right, top, bottom) to enlarge that window. Then it will most likely open in the size you set it next time.

Another trick is to grab the window by the top frame and bump it against the top of the screen. That will maximize it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/146796-setting-file-select-window-size.html
Relevancy 47.3%

i was dual booting win7 and xp and then i formatted my xp partition,installed a fresh copy of xp and now it automatically loads windows xp, it doesn't show where i use to select the OS to load

my disk is partitioned c drive for win7 and d drive for win xp

this is the contents of my xp's boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

how do i manually add win7 to the boot.ini file of win xp so i can select win7 to boot?

A:manually edit xp's boot.ini file to select win 7

It needs to be done the other way round.

You need to reinstate Win7 boofiles, then add the (XP) ntldr to Win 7 bcd.

See step 7 onward of this tutorial:

Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

Hope it helps

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/12062-manually-edit-xps-boot-ini-file-select-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Hi all

I need some help.

Just of late im having a little problem with Select a file to Preview pane in Open ( when opening a file with another program other than windows)
I want to close this as i dont need the preview pane, especially in open
Normal windows are fine and the option to turn preview on and of can be found in Organise/ Layout.
Unfortunately this is not the case on the open window while opening a file in this example Nero....... Organise/ Layout in this window does not have the option to turn the preview pane off
So how do i do this?
See pic below

A:Select a file to Preview pane in Open

Hello Ripbox,

Since the preview pane is a universal setting for those type of dialogs, a workaround may be to open Notepad, and click on File -> Open, turn off the preview pane, and close Notepad. It should change it for all "Open" type dialogs afterwards as well.

Hope this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/248522-select-file-preview-pane-open.html
Relevancy 47.3%

What should I add to the following command (in shortcuts.xml) so that Notepad++ would open the containing folder and also select the current file?

<Command name="Open containing folder" Ctrl="no" Alt="no" Shift="no" Key="0">explorer $(CURRENT_DIRECTORY)</Command>
Thank you.

A:Notepad++ Open containing folder and SELECT FILE

The following command opens the folder and selects the file. I'm still looking for a way to open the folder maximized.

Code:
&quot;C:\Windows\Explorer.exe&quot; /select, &quot;$(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)&quot;
Thanks.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/336299-notepad-open-containing-folder-select-file.html
Relevancy 47.3%

What should I add to the following command (in shortcuts.xml) so that Notepad++ would open the containing folder and also select the current file?

<Command name="Open containing folder" Ctrl="no" Alt="no" Shift="no" Key="0">explorer $(CURRENT_DIRECTORY)</Command>
Thank you.

A:Notepad++ Open containing folder and SELECT FILE

The following command opens the folder and selects the file. I'm still looking for a way to open the folder maximized.
&quot;C:\Windows\Explorer.exe&quot; /select, &quot;$(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)&quot;
Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/notepad-open-containing-folder-and-select-file.1128745/
Relevancy 47.3%

I used to be able to select where what files to be downloaded from the internet go, but i seem to have that feature disabled somehow and now they will attempt to open or run directly from the site, how can i undo this?

A:Unable to select file download location

First off, are you using IE8? Or another browser?
If so, I don't think it's much different than IE7 which is done like this

1st, Open Internet Options in IE.
Go to "Security" tab.
Toward bottom, go to custon level and open.
Scroll down and find "Downloads" and
check enable under "Automatic Prompting For File Downloads"
Close browser, and it should be fixed.

http://www.vistax64.com/browsers-mail/276595-unable-select-file-download-location.html
Relevancy 47.3%

When right clicking on desktop and select File | New.. how do I add a new application to this list? (regedit?)
XP Pro

A:Right click on desktop to select File new option??

See if this is what you want. ShellNew.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/right-click-on-desktop-to-select-file-new-option.406413/
Relevancy 47.3%

Hello!
Today i try to play more-than one MP3s selecting at once(click "Play" icon in windows explorer tab). Thin windows media player only play it 1st mp3 others not play. Then i check others can play, they can play.Why is that?

A:If i select all MP3 in one folder only one file play, How to solve it?

Hi,

I've just tried it and it works fine

You may want to try

1, http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-librares.html
2, Windows Features - Turn On or Off (turn WMP off, reboot then on again).

OS

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/144524-if-i-select-all-mp3-one-folder-only-one-file-play-how-solve.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Thank you in advance for your help...if you are able to
I all of a sudden have a file in my main roott (is that correct) directory (c) called HP. Obviously HP , Hewlett Packard, as in my computer I am assuming. I assume that because there are other brand names in the folder, i.e. Nvidia, Realtek...

I assume also it came with an update

I usually when in the past can google it and find out where to put it or if I can delete it. i.e. a misplaced msdll80

But with this there is nothing
Can I delete it. I believe there may be a few settings, but mostly text files. So I assume it was settings for setting up the update

Or can I move it

I am hoping one or the other...please. I like it clean

thanks for your help
Eric

A:New File Popped Up in C: Directory

Those might be driver files. I would leave those alone.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/new-file-popped-up-in-c-directory-610399.html
Relevancy 46.87%

for some reason I keep getting this message, "the directory or file cannot be created", when I try to move my files around. This just started today, I have spent hours online trying to find a solution.....so now I am asking here. I don't really know what other info you need...so..I guess I will just wait and see.

thanx

Relevancy 46.87%

Can anyone recommend a good (Freeware) program that will list the directories/programs and allow me to print them off in a reasonable format.

A:Directory/File lister

What is a "reasonable format"? Take a look at Karen's Directory Printer, I think it's "reasonable", but I don't know what you're idea of "reasonable" is.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/directory-file-lister.520370/
Relevancy 46.87%

after running CheckDisk in xp the directory turn to file with type of file : file.
all my work is in that directory..

help?

A:directory turn to file ???

What directory?
If its a system based directory, try a system restore to a date prior to the chkdsk. It will not affect your data, but if something is screwed in the Windows file system it should help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/directory-turn-to-file.200689/
Relevancy 46.87%

One day I decided to defragment my C drive and also check it for errors I defragmented and it took a lot less time than usual Then I went to run and typed CHKDSK and file Corrupt directory!?!?! or nothing happened except the cmd window Corrupt file or directory!?!?! popping up and then disappearing quickly So I right clicked the drive and selected to check the disk for errors It said I couldn t because the computer was using it It asked me if I wanted to check it after restart and I clicked OK It checked the disk but i didn t see what it said for the second half because I was busy After it finished Windows booted I logged on and then in the system tray it said quot Pctstray exe- Corrupted file The file or directory C ProgramData TEMP is corrupt and unreadable Please run the Chkdsk utility quot It also says the same thing with PctsGUI Corrupt file or directory!?!?! exe instead when I open Spyware Doctor What s wrong Will chkdsk do anything since i just ran it How do I fix this problem Is it fatal Thanks for your time nbsp

Relevancy 46.87%

Is there any way to save a file with the same name as an existing directory? For example, if I have a directory named "Temp", and I try to save a file and name it Temp, it doesn't save the file but rather switches to the Temp folder. I can rename a file to the same name as a directory, but there doesn't appear to be any way to save it that way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/save-a-file-with-the-same-name-as-a-directory-1087930.html
Relevancy 46.87%

when trying to copy or send a picture to flash drive, the message "directory or file cannot be created"----help!!

A:directory or file cannot be created

Some info: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...8.mspx?mfr=trueForget the fact that it was originally written for Win 2K, the principles also apply to later versions of Windows.Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/198549/directory-or-file-cannot-be-created/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi all
just a quick question

What's the maximum length of a directory PLUS file name -- the reason I'm asking this is that I've some CD's (a lot BTW) ripped into directories into FLAC format.

Tidying up the music folders I sometimes get a warning -- Name too long to send to the re-cycle bin.

I need to know the max nr of characters so I can select the ripping parameters correctly. If the combined directory / file name is too long then I might have trouble backing up the data (music) too.

I usually use ALBUM name (extracted from GRACENOTE or FREEDB depending on what the ripping program is) as the directory name and a number of parameters added to the track title - including a number for the music tracks with the album name as the directory.

However I can't seem to find anything on Max file name length for NTFS.

Cheers
jimbo

A:Max length - Directory plus file name

The max file name length is 255 (UTF-16) for the full path the limit is 32,767 (UTF-16).

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/52423-max-length-directory-plus-file-name.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Suddenly files in my USB memory could not open and following error message was prompted.

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadabe

How can i recover from this problem?

A:file or directory is corrupted

Hi Fujioka. Welcome to TSF!

When you say "USB memory", do you mean a thumb drive?

Mike

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/file-or-directory-is-corrupted-584400.html
Relevancy 46.87%

hey im using a windows XP pro service pack dell latitude d yesterday i installed the new internet explorer and ever since i ve been getting a msg that says quot the file or directory Or The File Is C:\mft Corrupt.... Directory c mft is corrupt plz run chkdsk quot so i ran checkdisc but my pc kept on restarting and every The File Or Directory C:\mft Is Corrupt.... time it would restart it would run checkdisc again also every time i want to log in to my account this box appears with the title quot limited virutal memory quot quot your system has no paging file or your paging file is too small quot so they ask me to fix it in control panel system advanced performance settings advanced change custom size but the initial and max values are already set as and MB respectively but it still says that the currently allocated memory is ZERO MB normally id system restore but that isnt working it wont go past the last page and every time i press next the dialogue box appears saying quot the file or directory bla bla quot what should i do thanks ghady

A:The File Or Directory C:\mft Is Corrupt....

remove it completely, set NONE, reboot, let chkdsk run and when you boot back in "let windows set..." and it should be fine

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/73093/the-file-or-directory-cmft-is-corrupt/
Relevancy 46.87%

getting error message when i try to copy and or move files Error moving XXXX XXX the directory or file can not be created I m assuming that i have met the max file amount limitation and am now just cuirious at what that number is running win xp on NTFS with the created not directory the be file or can drive im copying to being FAT base the paticular folder is not the directory root either but instead a subdirectory deepinto the D drive I know for a fac tthat the path limitation of characters have not been met yet either MS KB and technet revealed nothing of use to me or i just didnt search right Work arounds have been easily made by using a differnet folder but this is not desireably the folder currently has close to files but i needed to add another files to it Any reason why this fodler limitation is made on a subfolder or a explanation at where this number comes form and if can be modified would be helpful nbsp

A:the directory or file can not be created

Is this a compressed folder? The file compression algorithm is different between NTFS and FAT32 drives, so that might explain it.

Otherwise, do you have any permissions set on the folder that might be interfering? Do you already have a folder with the same name on the second drive? Try creating the second folder manually, then go back to the first folder, select all of the contents and choose copy from the edit menu. Then paste the whole lot into the second folder.

Once you have verified that the copy has been successful you can go back and delete all the old files.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/the-directory-or-file-can-not-be-created.74937/
Relevancy 46.87%

Could anyone help me out, when accessing any application or programme from my hard drive I get the following error message "The file or directory c: is corrupt and unreadable. Please run chkdsk utility." I then click to get rid of the error message and the utility works fine. I have run chkdsk several times but it does not shift this error message. Any ideas on how to stop it, many thanks

A:the file or directory c: is corrupt

Welcome to TSG....

You might have to remove the hard drive from this computer and install it in another computer as a slave drive and after it is able to be accessed by Windows on that computer you will have to manually backup all of your important data that you have to another media like CD-R's, DVD or external hard drive. Then when this is done return it to the original computer as a master drive on the primary IDE cable. Doing this will keep the important data safe.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/the-file-or-directory-c-is-corrupt.671294/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hello, Newbie here...disaster follows:

HD crashed in my trusty computer. Let's just say I did not have the best of backup system's in action. Ergo, after activating backup I now have many file duplication's and worst of all several directories. Not all the information on or in a particular file is replicated in the same file on a like directory. On the other hand some file's or folder's on one given directory containing info show nada on a like file or folder in another directory. Ideal situation, of course, would be join all like directories, file's, and folder's into one. I ain't new at this stuff but it beats me.
Thanks for any help...
B. Lyter

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/file-and-directory-redundancy-514558.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I keep getting this error when I try to close my Picturetrail Editor.

How can I put the file back in the directory so I don't get this message again? Thanks!

A:File exists but not in directory

No psychic's here. What error?? Machine Specs and the version of Vista your running would also be helpful.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-exists-but-not-in-directory.701312/
Relevancy 46.87%

With respect to all.

Recently one of the computers in my office got infected by a number of viruses. I ran Malwarebytes antimalware.
It could remove almost all of them. Before closing it gives 4 entries saying that these files will be deleted after reboot.
The file was 'tmp.tmp' in temp directory. After rebooting the file was still there although MBM states that it has removed
it. For other entries in MBAM log there are entries in HKLM winlogon with usrint.exe name. I removed it by regedit. Still it appears
after scanning with MBM which again shows that it will remove it after rebooting. This goes on and there are still
tmp.tmp in %temp% directory and entries in registery. What should I do to remove tmp.tmp file as well as to remove entries from registry.

I am writing this post from my home and will post the MBAM log from my office tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

Manoj

A:tmp.tmp file in %temp% directory

Today I have to format the PC under consideration due to urgency of work.

Now the problem has gone.

Anyway, with thanks to everybody
and sorry for any inconvenience.

Manoj

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/259450/tmptmp-file-in-temp-directory/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi, 
Sorry if this is in wrong forum, catalog, etc
Story, my mum-in-law has a very old computer, she wants pictures and data from it, it had Windows XP, its on a 9.1GB SCSI Ultra2 IBM hard drive, the machine doesn't boot the drive anymore (doesn't detect OS), I have taken it to work (the drive), and found
a Adaptec SCSI 19160 PCI card in our store, plugged it in and drive works fine. 
When accessing the documents and settings directory, 
There is a file called "serrida" this SHOULD be a folder, the user profile, but cannot access it. I have checked the software registry in system32/config and located the profilelist and that says user profile c:\documents and settings\serrida 
Is there a way to change the file back to the userprofile, or even access the data from inside the profile? 
I havent seen this before! 
Many thanks 
Pete 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5fd3e4b4-9bcb-4df4-9b36-4169d05ce0a3/a-directory-is-a-file-and-need-access-to-it?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 46.87%

I'm trying to set up File History on Windows 8 Consumer Preview

I have a Seagate NAS accessible on my home wireless network.

I have a folder on the NAS mapped to my Z drive. I can manually copy and edit files stored in that folder.

When I select this folder as my File History location windows returns "We can't use your network location. This location can't be used to save your files. Try a different network location."

I haven't been able to find any reference to this problem.

Has anyone run into this?

Thanks

A:Unable to select network location for File History

I have an article on my blog on the topic File History in Windows 8: File History In Windows 8 ? Martien van Dijk | Microsoft Blog ? unofficial Microsoft Blog

De blog is in Dutch. You can translate it with Google Translater
Here you can find the solution to your problem.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/7736-unable-select-network-location-file-history.html
Relevancy 46.87%

So, I discovered that there is no more backup in Win8. However, I found the file history.

The problem that I am facing is that I can't select folders to backup. So, how do I add C:\myfolder ???

A:Windows 8 - File History (aka Backup) - how to select folders?

File history only backs up libraries.

Either add the folder to an existing library or create a new library that includes your folder.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fb660d08-aee8-45c5-85e2-fe07d8559c32/windows-8-file-history-aka-backup-how-to-select-folders?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 46.87%

Hello All,

The Instant Search feature in mu outlook 2007 has stopped working a month or two ago. I have tried to go into the Search Options menu and select the Personal Folders checkbox, but after I check and press OK I get an error message saying "a problem was encountered while trying to change which data files to index. Some of these changes may not have been saved." And sure enough, the selection does not take effect. Also, when I select Indexing Status, I get a message that indexing may be incomplete because files are being indexed, and it shows tens of thousands of files, all different each time I check, but always a huge amount. It never seems to be complete. So, if I cannot select the Personal Folders file to add to Instant Search and it is not checked-off, then what the hell is it indexing? Pls help...

Thank you,

GS

http://www.vistax64.com/browsers-mail/294404-outlook-instant-search-cannot-select-data-file.html
Relevancy 46.87%

If I open Photoshop CS6 and select a Nikon NEF file using File|Open, the file opens in Photoshop the way it should. If I select a NEF file on the desktop and select Open|With, the file selection window opens as it should. If I browse to the CS6 icon, nothing happens. What can I do? All updates are installed.

A:Default file open program. Cannot select Photoshop CS6

Hi brooksro and welcome to Seven Forums.

Is this within ( Start - All Programs - Photoshop?) Or is it a icon on the desktop?

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/287018-default-file-open-program-cannot-select-photoshop-cs6.html
Relevancy 46.87%

How do I select multiple files with the same file extension in vista?

In XP I used a utility called Better Select and this worked nicely. eg: right click on a .jpg file in a folder containing assorted file extensions, and then choose Better select from the context menu. This would select all files with .jpg extension in that folder. Unfortunately Better Select no longer appears in the context menu since I moved to Vista Home Premium. It seems to have a valid registry entry however.

A:select multiple files with the same file extension in vista

One can sort the Windows Explorer listing by file type.
You just need to be in the "Details" mode, and then you can select the first one, and then scroll to the bottom, and then "Shift and Click" and all will be selected.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/select-multiple-files-with-the-same-file-extension-in-vista.811893/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi all I hope someone can help I am using Access I am running on Vista but the end application will be stored on computers running Windows XP I have a form linked to a table full of records each being an assessment On the form is a text box linked to a field in the table for that record When the user clicks a button I need it to open a browser so they can pick Select Access MS Store to File Solved: Button and a file which would be relevant documents to that particular record and then have that location stored in the text box The user needs to be able to go back to that form later and click on a button or the text box on the form to open the file location I also need to be able to do the same thing but to import or link to a picture which is relevant to the record being viewed That picture ideally needs to come up on reports I have searched the net and browsed for what seems an eternity and had no joy Nothing seems to work I Solved: MS Access Button to Select File and Store am a little rusty on my programming so baby steps and idiots guides would be appreciated Any help would really be appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 46.87%

One annoyance that I've found in Vista is that unlike all previous Windows versions that I've used, when I get a file selection menu, such as for opening a file within an application or 'save as...', if the list is a multicolumn one, as is usually the case, the ordering of the files is NOT vertical as it always had been before, but is horizontal.

Although I can see a logic in this, the fact is that when I'm faced with columns, my eye naturally reads down each column, and therefore I need the vertical sort arrangement as had always previously been the case.

Please, therefore, does anyone know of a fix for this, so that I can restore vertical sort arrangement in those lists? Many thanks.

Kind regards,

A:Sort direction in multicolumn file select menus

Hello Philip,

This tutorial may be able to help you out. It will show you how to change the sort order to what you like. Usually you can just keep clicking on the column name that you want it sorted by until you see a sort order you like.

Column - Customize

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/180278-sort-direction-multicolumn-file-select-menus.html
Relevancy 46.87%

On a Windows 7 machine I am having an issue where you go, for example, to Outlook 2010 and in a new e-mai message choose to 'Attach File' and when the Insert File menu pops up where you can choose your document everything is blank. In the left pane you can still choose 'Desktop', or wherever your file is located, but in the right pane it's just empty even though there are documents there. 'All Files' is chosen and this happens in other applications too (not just Outlook)where an attachment can be added. I've logged on with another account and it doesn't have the same problem.

But if you navigate to where the file is located, even if you can't see it, you can still type the filename and it uploads. I tried rebooting the system and this didn't help.

A:Solved: Icons missing in File Select Menu

hi.click on start,in the search box type CMD,right-click on the CMD icon and select run as administrator,when CMD opens at the prompt from the root of C: TYPE IN attrib -h /s /d then press enter.type in exit and press enter when the command has completed

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-icons-missing-in-file-select-menu.1113085/
Relevancy 46.44%

I try to run chkdsk utility in Command Prompt but there is a message
"You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode".

Can anyone me what should I do??

A:The file or directory c:\$mft is corrupt and unreadable

It means you need to run it with administrator priveleges.
Right click the Command Prompt shortcut and choose "Run as administrator".

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/the-file-or-directory-c-mft-is-corrupt-and-unreadable-591065.html
Relevancy 46.44%

hey...
i've got the same problem BUT...
i mounted the drive with ntfs-3g under linux before. in linux it's no problem to mount and read it but windows gives me that failure massage: "file or directory corrupted..... bla bla.
so i tryed already some options with testdisk but it seems not to help
-> allthrough i'm not such a pro in those tools and hope i didn't lost all my data by now. so may you have any recommendations what i should do with that tool. <-
...or you got some other ideas for me...
THX
RB

A:file or directory is corrupted & unreadable

Hi, welcome to TSF.

If you can read the files in Linux, but not in Windows, I think you should start looking for infections.
What anti-virus program are you using?

If you find malware you can't get rid of:
Follow the 5 steps here: http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...oval-help.html
Post the logs in a new thread here: http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...this-log-help/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/file-or-directory-is-corrupted-and-unreadable-227356.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi there

Please Ms FIX the 260 char directory+filename limitation. I can't copy loads of music files on windows and if you've got 2 - 3 TB of music files I'm not going on a massive renaming job - in any case I want to preserve tagging and track info too.

Linux and Android have no problem so serving the music to my remote devices isn't a problem (I think also most smart TV's and Chromecast type devices have some sort of built in Linux / Android OS).

Windows computers will also play the music served but file names are truncated hideously to something unrecognizable in most cases.

The fix for long file names that was supposed to appear in this build (1607) doesn't work.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/60041-please-ms-fix-260-char-directory-file-name-limitation.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Cannot Delete Projects: The File Or Directory Is Corrupt Or Unreadable
Keep getting this message when i try to delete a folder on my computer and whatever i do it wont delete

Relevancy 46.44%

Hi there

Please Ms FIX the 260 char directory+filename limitation. I can't copy loads of music files on windows and if you've got 2 - 3 TB of music files I'm not going on a massive renaming job - in any case I want to preserve tagging and track info too.

Linux and Android have no problem so serving the music to my remote devices isn't a problem (I think also most smart TV's and Chromecast type devices have some sort of built in Linux / Android OS).

Windows computers will also play the music served but file names are truncated hideously to something unrecognizable in most cases.

The fix for long file names that was supposed to appear in this build (1607) doesn't work.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/60041-please-ms-fix-260-char-directory-file-name-limitation.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hello All
There is some option to create file in directory root C:, without give the permissions of the administrator of the machine?
There is one form in the regedit, with the change value to 0 EnablelUA, but is necessary the permissions of the administrator.
someone have idea?
Thank

Hugo Monge

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/59c2fc74-fe68-47a4-bbf2-3623189f519b/create-file-directory-root-c?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi.

I have been having a virus problem for the past week, and I ran many programs to fix it, according to postings on this site.

One thing I'm working on now, is deleting an infected file.
I get the error:

The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable.

The file name is C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\UACrhxfhbrrsb.sys

chkdsk doesn't fix it, because it has problems fixing files with a mix of UPPER and lower case in the file name.

I tried "unlocker", but doesn't work.

If you could help me delete that file, that would be great.
Thank you.

Ben

A:The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable.

Please download RootRepeal Rootkit Detector and save it to your Desktop. * Close all programs and temporarily disable your anti-virus, Firewall and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. * Click this link to see a list of such programs and how to disable them. * Create a new folder on your hard drive called RootRepeal (C:\RootRepeal) and extract (unzip) RootRepeal.zip. (click here if you're not sure how to do this. Vista users refer to this link.) * Open the folder and double-click on RootRepeal.exe to launch it. If using Vista, right-click and Run as Administrator... * Click on the Files tab, then click the Scan button. * In the Select Drives, dialog Please select drives to scan: select all drives showing, then click OK. * When the scan has completed, a list of files will be generated in the RootRepeal window. * Click on the Save Report button and save it as rootrepeal.txt to your desktop or the same location where you ran the tool from. * Open rootrepeal.txt in Notepad and copy/paste its contents in your next reply. * Exit RootRepeal and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.Note: If RootRepeal cannot complete a scan and results in a crash report, try repeating the scan in "Safe Mode".

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/244775/the-file-or-directory-is-corrupted-or-unreadable/
Relevancy 46.44%

hello,

I just purchased a new external harddrive...2TB my passport.
when performing a standard backup of my computer from windows 7, it failed twice*.
now, even after restart, my computer cannot access the new drive, neither from windows explorer nor cmd prompt...both say "E:\ is not accessible the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable". also, under disk management screen it now indicates the file system as RAW and 100% empty (although the status indicates healthy).

my question is, is the hardware damaged? or will reformatting be sufficient.
I am not concerned about any data recovery...just whether or not I must return the harddrive for a new one.

thanks
-pson

* I gather from the internet because of some idiotic windows 7 issue that it falls asleep during backup process, but wondering if others could validate this as a known problem

A:the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

Quote: Originally Posted by pson

I am not concerned about any data recovery...just whether or not I must return the harddrive for a new one.

Hi,

In Disk Management, do you see the option to "Initialise Disk" when clicking on the USB drive? Do that, and the disk should no longer show as RAW, and be usuable.

Once you have that, let bus know and we can recommend some tests to check the USB drive out further.

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/272526-file-directory-corrupted-unreadable.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Good evening When I start up I get a box that states 'the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable' of what 'File/ directory and corrupted is unreadable' looks like Windows Updater So I followed the instructions and have posted two scripts to this message However I was not successful in using DSS and GMER so I instead used RSIT and HijackThis although they are both coming up as HijackThis The logs are posted below as per instruction I can post a photo of the box that appears if this is 'File/ directory is corrupted and unreadable' helpful Thank you Logfile of random's system information tool written by random random Run by charlotte at - - Microsoft Windows System drive C has GB free of GB Total RAM MB free Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Unknown Windows WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Program Files x Creative Professional E-MU USB Audio EmuUsbAudioCP exe C Program Files x OLYMPUS DeviceDetector DeviceDetector exe C Program Files x Evernote Evernote EvernoteClipper exe C Program Files x TOSHIBA PasswordUtility readLM exe C Program Files x Plustek Plustek OpticBook book express exe C Program Files x Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files x iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Windows SysWOW NOTEPAD EXE C Users charlotte Desktop HijackThis exe C Windows SysWOW NOTEPAD EXE C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users charlotte Desktop RSIT exe C Program Files x trend micro charlotte exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL Microlink The UK s Largest Independent Assistive Technology Supplier R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page Bing R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page Search R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL msn R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL Bing R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page Bing R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page msn R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C Windows SysWOW blank htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName F - REG system ini UserInit userinit exe O - BHO ExplorerBHO Class - D D E- - E -B F- CB CD E - C Program Files Classic Shell ClassicExplorer dll O - BHO Bho - C - DD - F B-AAC - F BC - C Program Files x Nuance NaturallySpeaking Program dgnriaie dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files x Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO Evernote extension - EF EAD-A CE- -B DB- CF E - C Program Files x Evernote Evernote EvernoteIE dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files x Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO ClassicIEBHO Class - EA -E AD- BD - F - BE A - C Program Files Classic Shell ClassicIEDLL dll O - Toolbar Classic Explorer Bar - B -A D - -BE -D CE D - C Program Files Classic Shell ClassicExplorer dll O - HKLM Run AmIcoSinglun quot C Program Files x AmIcoSingLun AmIcoSinglun exe quot O - HKLM Run TPUReg quot C Program Files x TOSHIBA PasswordUtility readLM exe quot O - HKLM Run Adobe ARM quot C Program Files x Common Files Adobe ARM AdobeARM exe quot O - HKLM Run APSDaemon quot C ... Read more

A:'File/ directory is corrupted and unreadable'

Hello and Welcome to TSF.

If you haven't already, please Subscribe to this Thread to get immediate notification of replies as soon as they are posted. To do this click Thread Tools, then click Subscribe to this Thread. Make sure it is set to Instant notification by email, then click Add Subscription.

Please note that the forum is very busy and if I don't hear from you within three days this thread will be closed.

------------------------------------------------------

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.Double-click FRST64 to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
Make sure the Addition.txt button is ticked.
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.
------------------------------------------------------

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/file-directory-is-corrupted-and-unreadable-912610.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have a customers computer that is running Vista home premium sp The programs that are already installed on it run fine When you try to install a new program it gives an error that says quot ShellExecuteEx failed code the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable quot or corrupt or directory is unreadable file and just quot the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable quot You can download program file or directory is corrupt and unreadable files just fine but when you try to run them you get the error The same occurs when you try to run things from a flash drive or CD The files on the flash drive or CD are good because you can run them on another computer just fine The computer has file or directory is corrupt and unreadable Windows Defender and Ad Aware on it and I ran those to check for malware but they don't detect anything I also tried running Trendmicro and Bitdefender online scans but got the same errors on those Panda ActiveScan ran and didn't detect anything The computer has AVG on it and doesn't detect any virus or spyware at all I've tried running the registry editor on Ccleaner but it doesn't find file or directory is corrupt and unreadable any errors I've tried running chkdsk several times but it doesn't detect any problems I've also tried to do the repair computer option from the advanced startup menu but nothing changes I've tried to boot into Safe Mode but I still get the same results I've tried searching technet and other forums but with no luck Any ideas

A:file or directory is corrupt and unreadable

Since you're able to use TechNet, I assume you are experienced. There could be a problem with how Windows is using the ShellExecuteEx command if you are able to access the files on another PC. Have you tried doing a system restore to when your PC worked normally? There is little information on the 1392 error code.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176146/file-or-directory-is-corrupt-and-unreadable/
Relevancy 46.44%

I'm trying to move selected photos from 'my pictures' to the E:/ drive, I have a card reader and a 2 GB Memory card plugged in a E:/. I only have about 120 pictures on the card. It was working fine about two weeks ago. Now a windows error message comes up when I try to send photos to the drive via "Send to..."

Error copying file or folder
"cannot copy IMG ...." The directory or file cannot be created.

The only thing out of the ordinary that i did was sync about 1000 photos to an ipod with the itunes software. What gives. Please Help.

Thanks Alot!

A:Error:The directory or file cannot be created.?

jared hawe

I think there is a limit to the number of files you can copy to the root. You can only have so many that are not in folders

Try this and see if it works
Make some folders on your desktop name them what you want. E.g. ?Pictures 1?, ?Pictures 2? etc

Then "move" or "cut" not copy all the photos from the card into the folders on the desktop.

Once all the photos are in the folders on the desktop, cut the folders off the desktop and paste back onto the card.

Files in a folder count as 1 file in the Root directory even if it has many files.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/error-the-directory-or-file-cannot-be-created-224378.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi Guys,

I have an external hard drive on which a folder/directory gives this message when I try to open it on my PCs:

'the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable'

When I attach the drive to my Sony TV via the USB slot I can access the folder and play the files in it - mp3s.

The PCs are Win XP and Win Vista and they cannot open the directory.

Any tips on how to get in there and get the files out?

Thanks.

Relevancy 46.44%

When I plug my SD card into my laptop, i try to open the folder to view my pictures but windows says 'the File or Directory is Corrupt and Unreadable' but i can see some of the pictures in the icon where you see a a preview of the folder (vista). Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/the-file-or-directory-is-corrupt-and-unreadable.869673/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi all I m having a few problems following a couple of weeks of attacks whilst on the internet My son experienced the of structure Loss directory/file same thing whilst on Facebook and my daughter too on another apparently harmless shopping site Basically we got a pop-up window preporting to be from Microsoft that suddenly launched and that looked like a virus checker as it had a box saying it had found all sorts of problems on the hard drives and that the world would end soon This was followed by more pop-ups saying things like windows couldn t find the hard disc drive memory was full etc all quite Loss of directory/file structure scary to the uninitiated I promptly did nothing that might agrevate the situation and phoned one of the IT guys at work who said he had Loss of directory/file structure seen it a few times in the business and recommended a dose of Rkill and Combofix This appeared to work sweetly and all was peaceful in the Loss of directory/file structure house hold until yesterday when it happened on my laptop once more Feeling inappropriately confident following the previous episode I set about the usual process but this time was left with a completely black desktop and solitary IE shortcut plus the widgets I then tried to restore the system to previous point a few days earlier which appeared to work fine until I tried to open a fie when I discovered that Windows Explorer could not quot see quot the files and subdirectories I believe the information is still there as if I click on Start Computer it shows the two drives E and C to be full to what I remember as being roughly the right amount Also if I start for example Excel and click File I can open any of the recently used files successfully I notice an icon on the now restored desktop called quot Windows Fix Disk quot and wonder if this might do the trick Any advice gratefully received If you need any information on my laptop please just ask although I ll need a few hints as to where to find it and how to post it too in fact please treat me as an idiot in this respect I promise I won t be offended Thanks and kind regards

A:Loss of directory/file structure

Good morning .Please read first...then follow the instructions in the BC Removal Guide, Windows Fix Disk Malware .Let us know if you have problems or the result of following guide instructions.Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/393997/loss-of-directoryfile-structure/
Relevancy 46.44%

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good utility or application I could use to scan an NT server for a listing of Folder and File permissions for an NTFS file system? Thanks in advance!

A:Windows NT File/Directory Permissions

I found 2 command line utilities in the NT 4.0 Resource Kit. They are SHOWACLS.EXE & SRVCHECK.EXE. Unfortunately SHOWACLS lists the permissions for every single file and directory on the specified server. This creates a large document with more info than I need. SRVCHECK is supposed to scan only Shared folders, but keeps returning back with an "Unknown Error: 203", which MS doesn't seem to have a fix for. Are there any 3rd party utils or options in the Resource kit I may have missed that will scan all shares(even hidden), and give me back a listing of permissions?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-nt-file-directory-permissions.57145/
Relevancy 46.44%

I attached my xp drive as a slave to my 2000 pro drive and booted. It checked my xp drive and then started to truncate everything. I now cannot reboot my xp drive. I tried using xp cd to repair but it says I can't due to error on partition, drive full etc. I have tried my friends partition software but it finds no errors. When I use his xp drive to see my xp drive, it says it is unreadable. Is there something out there to repair my truncated files? Is this fixable or is formating my only option. I am desperate to retain my xp drive data. Using parition magic 8, it shows my xp drive as a type 07 and my 2000 as a FAT drive. I have spend days searching for answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

A:File or directory corrupted and unreadable

Iīve got a very similar problem and ask for help.

I was clonning a hard drive using GHOST, but I realized that I picked the wrong HD, so I turned the PC off inmediately when the process was at 35%.

Then I connected the HD as slave into another laptop.
Windows XP see the slave disk but canīt access the data (data I hope still be in my HD).
"the file or directory is corrupted ad unreadable" appears.
I went to Computer Management :
In the primary disk appears NTFS, in the slave appears nothing.

I returned the HD to my first laptop, and booted from a Win98 floppy disk and run (in DOS) "A:>fdisk /mbr".
After a few seconds, A:> appeared again, so, with no message visible, I turn my laptop off.

And again I went to my second laptop and connected my HD as slave but nothing new happened.
I donīt think all the data is lost but probably the NTFS partition went crazy. I canīt do chkdsk too.

Please, help me!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-or-directory-corrupted-and-unreadable.153463/
Relevancy 46.44%

I have an interesting problem and haven t been able to find a solution with google Some time ago I did a complete backup of all my important files onto a USB hard drive Since that Displays Folder file. as a (Directory) time I experienced a hard drive failure in my laptop and once I got it back up and running I got out my USB drive and went to copy my files I wanted back and noticed a problem with some of my Folders on the USB Drive They are showing up as Folder (Directory) Displays as a file. files and when I double click on them they ask which program they should open up with The weird thing about it is that most of the directories are fine and I know at one time the directories in question did work as I was able to browse through them not to long ago Is there anyway I can restore a directory designation so I can access the pictures that are inside of it Judging by the amount of used space on the USB drive the pictures are there about gigs worth Any help would be great Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/folder-directory-displays-as-a-file.821813/
Relevancy 46.44%

HELPPPPP
Recently something changed on my computer (Have no Idea what) and ever since I can't respond to any posting from any website:ie: posts on c---g list
I keep getting this respond:

HTTP 404 File or directory can't be found

My system:
win xp home
I.E. 6.2 (sp2)

A:HTTP 404 - can't find the file or directory

http://forums.techguy.org/t110854.html

Go here and download Hijack This 1.99.0 Do a scan and post the log here

Let us know if this started about the time you installed SP 2

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/http-404-cant-find-the-file-or-directory.327038/
Relevancy 46.44%

I have tried to delete this large file and no matter what i do i get the error message: cannot remove folder the directory is not empty. I have never run across this before and don't know what to do. Any help would be so appreciated!!!

Relevancy 46.44%

I am trying to get rid of my large files to save space and I came across a text file that is 4 gigs large. It is called n_akloph.txt can I safely remove this. It seems awefull big for a text file doesn't it?

A:Can I delete this file under the windows directory.

Just to be on the safe side leave it alone for a bit and run a HijackThis as shown and let one of our HJT experts diagnose the system.

To download HJTsetup.exe To Download HijackThis go to the following: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item5
Filename = 1137518044HJTsetup.exe
Save the file to your desktop.
Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

A security expert should take a look at your log - please be patient.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-delete-this-file-under-the-windows-directory.515582/
Relevancy 46.44%

How do I write a printdir.bat file in W 7? I used this file in XP, but I cannot figure a way to do it in W 7.

Thanks,

vlf

A:Print Directory Batch File

Welcome to TSG!

Google printdir.bat and here's the first result:
How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP, in Windows Vista, in Windows 7

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/print-directory-batch-file.967679/
Relevancy 46.44%

Having become unstuck with a script I am working on I would appreciate some in of file to obtain directory name Unable help Basically it reads in the string content of each file in a directory into an array period delimited It then searches for a keyword and if found concatenates each sentence in which it is found The echoed output shows what was Unable to obtain name of file in directory found in each file This works perfectly well and does what I want but in the rd last line of the Unable to obtain name of file in directory piece of code shown below where I have quot File OutPut quot I would like to have the actual name of the file instead I have tried every which way to achieve this but without success Although I think it is to do with quot Object Required quot I'm not sure how to resolve it I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction Thank you Code Set objFSO CreateObject quot Scripting FileSystemObject quot Set folder objFSO GetFolder strFilePath for each file in folder Files Set objfile objFSO OpenTextFile file path ForReading strContents objfile readAll 'Load String Into Array outputArray split strContents quot quot 'Check For KeyWord Match for each strCurrentLine in outputArray If InStr strCurrentLine strKeyWord Then 'Concatenate Matches strOutput strOutput amp quot File OutPut quot amp vbCRLF amp strCurrentLine amp quot quot amp vbCRLF amp vbCRLF End if next

A:Unable to obtain name of file in directory

Is that Visual Basic? Just assign the file name to the variable when you open the file, or are you not able to find the file name?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/299576-unable-obtain-name-file-directory.html