Windows Support Forum

Vista Reboots Itself, Sleep/Hibernate don't work (thinkpad)

Q: Vista Reboots Itself, Sleep/Hibernate don't work (thinkpad)

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T400 with Windows Vista (sevice pack 2) and my computer has a number of booting problems. When I shut down the computer either manually with the button or with the shut down option in the start menu, the computer boots down, stays off for 5 seconds then retsarts itself. I have not been able to boot down for months. In addition, I've had tons of problems with sleep and hibernate mode - the computer restarts itself or won't go into the modes.

I've played with the power settings many times and looked up many forums advice for these settings. I also have a clean bill of health regarding viruses/spyware for the bleepingcomputer forum for sypware as of this week. Any help would be apperciated.
thanks!
jm

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Vista Reboots Itself, Sleep/Hibernate don't work (thinkpad)

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Vista Reboots Itself, Sleep/Hibernate don't work (thinkpad)

Is it still under warranty?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/311145/vista-reboots-itself-sleephibernate-dont-work-thinkpad/
Relevancy 82.99%

Hello,
my Windows 8.1 PC (see specs below) has recently started to have problem when, while in sleep mode, transitioning automatically to hibernation mode (the mode were your work is saved to disk and power completely shut off) according to the pre-set timer in Power Options. The issue is that it looks like it crashes during this transition and then reports.

I suspect a new driver or software to be the cause. Can somebody guide me on how to track down the culprit?

Best wishes,
Steve

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/45550-pc-crashes-reboots-when-going-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 82.13%

Hi I have an XPS in which I replaced its SSD and memory and installed a fresh Windows Enterprise x The specs are as follows instead hibernate, wake up not or 9550 does XPS 15 reboots sleep from but Computer Model XPS BIOS Vendor Dell Inc BIOS Version BIOS Date OS Version Microsoft Windows Enterprise Processor Intel R Core TM i - HQ CPU GHz Memory DIMM A MB Memory DIMM B MB Disk Drives Samsung SSD EVO TB nbsp XPS 15 9550 does not wake up from sleep or hibernate, but instead reboots NVMe Samsung SSD Display Adapters Intel R HD Graphics nbsp NVIDIA GeForce GTX M IDE ATA ATAPI Controllers Intel R Series C Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller Sound Devices Bluetooth Hands-free Audio nbsp Realtek High Definition Audio nbsp NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device Wave Extensible WDM nbsp Intel R Display Audio USB Controllers Intel R USB eXtensible Host Controller - Microsoft When I close the lid of my laptop it used to go to sleep Now I have configured it to go to hibernate In both cases when I lift the lid again of the time the laptop does not wake up smoothly and instead it goes into a reboot and any open windows XPS 15 9550 does not wake up from sleep or hibernate, but instead reboots and files I have are gone All my drivers are up to date Any recommendations of what to do to solve this problem Thanks

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19974500
Relevancy 81.27%

My Windows 7 is:
- x64 Home Premium SP1
- the original installed OS on the system.
- an OEM version. Came pre-installed on system.

- The age of system (hardware) is 8 Months.
- The age of OS installation is 8 Months.
- Never re-installed.

Hardware is:
Sony VAIO VPC-EB46FX
Intel Core i5 CPU M480 @2.67GHz
4GB Memory

Many Thanks for your help!

A:Windows 7 reboots after resuming from Sleep and Hibernate Mode.

Unfortunately no DMP's were included.

Please try this way...
We do need the DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.

If you are overclocking STOP.

You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.

To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.

The procedure:

Quote:
* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
* Zip up the copy.
* Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button.
*If the files are too large please upload them to a file sharing service like "Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.

To ensure minidumps are enabled:

Quote:
* Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
* Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
* Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
* Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
* Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
* OK your way out.
* Reboot if changes have been made.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/210231-windows-7-reboots-after-resuming-sleep-hibernate-mode.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Just as title says. When I hibernate or sleep my 32 bit Windows Vista Ultimate Desktop Computer, it will successfully go into sleep but come back within 10-15 seconds. Any theories?

A:Sleep and Hibernate only work for a few seconds.

Did you by any chance remove your hibernation files through disk clean up?
The only other thing I can think of would have to be changing the hibernation/sleep settings
or screensaver/display properties...or perhaps power settings, all of which can be accessed through your control panel...hope it helps!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sleep-and-hibernate-only-work-for-a-few-seconds.759268/
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi Could you please help me with this issue Basically whenever I want to put my PC to sleep or hibernate the monitor goes black but the computer keeps running I can doesn't Sleep work and hibernate hear at least Sleep and hibernate doesn't work one HDD power down but the rest of the hardware keeps going all the fans CPU GPU case lights etc I can try clicking the mouse buttons pushing some keys - nothing it will keep running until I reset it or cut the power off Also sometimes when I try to put it to sleep and it works the problem is that it doesn't stay asleep for too long and it turns on by itself after - mins I had suspected it was a messed up Windows but recently I also formatted my drive and installed a clean Windows and the issue is still there So I suspect either some program preventing sleep hibernate or a faulty hardware if it's possible because I really don't know how it works

A:Sleep and hibernate doesn't work

Hi. .

Perhaps try the following found here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/when-power-saving-fails-fixing-windows-7-hibernation-issues/

Please let us know what happens.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/609415/sleep-and-hibernate-doesnt-work/
Relevancy 73.1%

I have a laptop - toshiba satellite pro L450-EZ1541, When I try to put my laptop in to sleep mode using Windows 7, it doesn't resume. The only way I can get it to turn back on is by pressing the power button. and then press it again to turn on. the same thing occur when the laptop hibernate!! Any solution for this problem???

Relevancy 72.24%

So Windows forced me to update to Windows 8.1, which I didn't want but still. They don't care, they forced the update. Which means my laptop reboots way slower, but I'll deal with that. Perhaps W8.1 is better at several area's.
Anyways, I got a problem with sleep and hibernate mode. I can enter them, but when I try to exit it Windows doesn't continues but it reboots, losing everything ongoing. Already googled some thing, tried but with no results. Ran troubleshooter and tried updating the drivers (no updates found except one, didn't solved the problem).

Anyone who could help with googling?
It's an Acer Aspire E1-572G.
Thanks in advance!

A:Windows 8.1 experts needed, sleep & hibernate stopped work

Acer Aspire E1-572G won't wake up from sleep

windows 8.1 - Acer Aspire E1-572G won't wake up from sleep - Super User

Seems like common problem with this model, check power plan settings, try turning off fast boot. One article mentions issue with Video card drivers, a possible bug.Try going to manufacturer's site of brand Card instead As for forcing you to update there are ways around that, but highly not suggested to not update to 8.1.

Correct one for your Video card AMD Radeon HD 8750M
AMD Mobile

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/58266-windows-8-1-experts-needed-sleep-hibernate-stopped-work.html
Relevancy 71.81%

I reinstalled vista x64 and since then am having this problem...

Whenever i click sleep my computer goes into hibernate... I ve tried setting standby state as s3 in bios and also i ve tried disabling hibernate by running 'powercfg -h off' in command prompt...

I ve also installed latest motherboard and video card (nvidia geforce 8600gt) drivers but no effect...

Any help appreciated

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-x64-goes-into-hibernate-instead-of-sleep-always.745721/
Relevancy 70.95%

Please delete...

I looks as though Vista goes into hibernate even though I click on sleep. Up until now, Vista always went to sleep. What should I be checking?

A:Click sleep, Vista goes into hibernate: Why?

Maybe this will help

Power Options and Sleep Mode Problems[11]=Power Management

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/279185-click-sleep-vista-goes-into-hibernate-why.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Could someone please help me I need to disable the hibernate or sleep on my Vista machine I tried the disk cleanup thing but there was no option on Disable vista hibernate/sleep there for quot hibernate quot as it showed on a google link I looked at Please if you CAN help don't tell Disable vista hibernate/sleep me something that might mess up my files or registry because my knowledge is very limited I didn't have this before For years the updates would fail on this one NVIDIA GeForce E Couple nights ago an icon appeared HP Games They Disable vista hibernate/sleep wanted you to try amp buy games I'd uninstall amp delete amp it would come back Finally it stayed gone Then I went into the games which came with my computer Upon trying to play lt got a message saying I needed to update my video card or something Wound up on NVIDIA sight amp downloaded something for Vista what I don't know My entire desktop changed icons I worked for hours amp finally got it back right but thats when my computer stated going to sleep when left for a while I hate it amp want it gone You know I don't think HP shoul be allowed to do those things That sales pitch started it all Please reply to this if you can help Hope I'm not supposed to put my email address in here Sorry so long Thank you rosebud

A:Disable vista hibernate/sleep

Welcome
This tutorial may be of help
Hibernation - Enable or Disable

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/295176-disable-vista-hibernate-sleep.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I have an Acer aspire Laptop and I am having intermittent sleep and hibernation freezes Background info I purchased a GB hard drive and got Vista Ultimate x edition from MSDN and did a clean install onto my new HD I then had a problem where the laptop would sometimes freeze when I plugged it into AC power while I was using it This was solved I think by installing the empowering technology software that comes with Acer Laptops I haven t had it freeze from AC power since But the whole time I ve been having it freeze from time to time when I try and put it to sleep or hibernate It seems to happen more often when I try and hibernate it Specs Processor AMD Athalon X bit RAM GB I don t know vendor or speed Ultimate Vista (x64) freezes Sleep/hibernate intermittently but it is stock Graphics GeForce m G coprocessor OS Windows Vista Ultimate Vista Ultimate (x64) Sleep/hibernate freezes intermittently bit edition Where should I start looking I ve checked event viewer and it doesn t seem to tel me much though there are two error events that happened close to a hibernation freeze I saved them for use when I made this topic If anyone would like to see them I can post them here Thanks for any help nbsp

A:Vista Ultimate (x64) Sleep/hibernate freezes intermittently

Where is the edit post button?

I have new information:
It only freezes every OTHER time I try to make it hibernate/sleep. So if I put it to sleep successfully, then woke it up, then tried to make it sleep again, it would freeze. It freezes after the screen goes black. I get a solid wireless activity light, and a solid CPU light and my fan speeds up and maintains high speed. I assume it locks up in maximum CPU usage for some reason

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-ultimate-x64-sleep-hibernate-freezes-intermittently.809962/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi,

I'm using Vista as carpc operating system. My problem is that Vista doesn't sleep/hibernate when music is playing. I have set pc to hibernate after one minute when powerchord is not plugged. That is what it is suppose to do. Now my Vista thinks that "I'm playing music, so I don't go to hibernate-mode". Few guys have said that it should hibernate even if playing music, few guys says that computer shouldn't hibernate cause it's in use.
Is there way to make computer hibernate when music/videos is on?

A:Vista doesn't sleep or hibernate when music is playing?

I have never seen a computer go into either mode with active processes. Also, is the device USB? If USB, did you safely remove it before unplugging it? Try it, Vista will think its still attached but not working right.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/158445-vista-doesnt-sleep-hibernate-when-music-playing.html
Relevancy 69.66%

About a month ago I had my friendly Dell rep dispatch a tech to replace my Bluetooth Vista hibernate, X32 Won't lid shut closed is when Dell down sleep, module and CD drive Afterwhich Bluetooth still wouldn't work and Dell Vista X32 Won't hibernate, sleep, shut down when lid is closed I'm positivie that it's a software issue I called them back about that issue and the one I'm asking about below and according to Dell my only option is to reinstall windows He didn't grasp the fact that I couldn't back up my files Since the repair my laptop won't go into sleep hibernate or shut down when I close the lid I also started getting a 'last backup failed' error and when I try and backup or create a restore point I get a the 'insuffecient memory for VSS Shadow copy' message with error x F It will shutdown when I use the shutdown in the windows orb as well as it goes into some form of sleep hibernation when I push the power button The reason I say that is when I open it up and push the power button again I get a 'resuming windows' message and screen Also I don't think it's a mechanical issue Reason being when I close the lid and open it back up my mouse will freeze and act drunk for - seconds To me that says that for some reason the program that commands sleep hibernation is not firing off or firing off to completion I've tried several tutorials suggestions from this website and others regarding adjusting power settings disabling wake from sleep in device manager doing repairs from the windows disk etc I'd appreciate any and all ideas- I don't want to reload Vista I'm sure that there's something that I missed or Dell missed or maybe even I did something wrong THANKS in advance

A:Dell Vista X32 Won't hibernate, sleep, shut down when lid is closed

Welcome
Start with an SFC command
run 3 times if errors are found
System Files - SFC Command

If that does not work, do a system restore from before the problem
System Restore - How to

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/286785-dell-vista-x32-wont-hibernate-sleep-shut-down-when-lid-closed.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Brand new Vista 64 bit system that I put to sleep instead of shutting down when done.

When I come out from sleep or hibernate mode I don't have any sound output and need to reboot the system to regain sound. Just started happening, can't think of any changes to link it too.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/lose-sound-on-vista-machine-when-coming-out-from-sleep-or-hibernate-354431.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi, all!

I heard this is a regular Vista glitch, but perhaps there is a patch I am unaware of? I attempted to get around the security center such as trying to add the firewall to my list of startup programs, but that didn't work either. I am using only the windows firewall, and had the Norton crap uninstalled.... I'm still having the issue of it not wanting to stay engaged.

So, every time I wake the lappie back up, it gives me a security bubble telling me that my firewall is esentially down... I shouldn't have to keep turing it on and it's quite annoying. If anyone can show me how to keep it on, that would be fabulous!

Thanks!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-firewall-disconnects-every-time-the-pc-is-in-sleep-mode-or-hibernate.582387/
Relevancy 68.8%

I seem to be having a recurring problem that I can't figure out. My machine freezes almost every time it attempts to hibernate when my WD 120gb passport is connected. By freezing I mean that the screen is black and the machine power lights are on, but it won't respond and I have to hard boot it.

Are there any solutions other than turning off hibernate?

thanks

A:Vista Freezing during sleep/hibernate when external USB drive attached

As a note, it does not happen if the WD passport is not connected.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/192016-vista-freezing-during-sleep-hibernate-when-external-usb-drive-attached.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Please help,

I have a HP NC6400 laptop at work,

Everytime you put it into sleep mode it reboots

Ive tried checking the power options as so may sites refer to them but i have no hibernate option

network cable unplugged same thing just reboots after screen going blank and showing some HDD activity

Please help

Relevancy 66.22%

Hey people
My hibernate doesn't work
I cleared the hibernate inf in Disk Cleanup and now doesn't work any solutions?
I would like for it to work

Vista SP1 Home Premium
Power4 Gears Extreme

A:My hibernate doesn't work Vista SP1

I fixed it Here is the solution

I have fixed the issue from the following website

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/re-enable-hibernate-option-in-windows-vista/

click Start button type in cmd then click cmd, and right click and run as administrator, click ok or continue and then type in powercfg /hibernate on

After you done the disk cleanup.
Its a bug in Windows Vista

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-hibernate-doesnt-work-vista-sp1.109569/
Relevancy 62.35%

Whether I choose any option other than to turn PC off, instead of tapping spacebar on my MS wireless keyboard I have to tap the button for power on the tower, then the monitor turns on as the fan runs, but always a black screen. So then I have to do a manual boot and select to start normally.

Started a week ago, around the same time as a graphics card failure. I installed a new PNY GeForce, updated ALL drivers on my Gateway DX4710-UB301A, (Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit, AVG antivirus free 2014) played with power management and startup config settings, trolled forums, performed malware scans, and still can't figure out the issue. 

Please help!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/520005/groggy-wake-up-from-sleep-hybrid-sleep-or-hibernate/
Relevancy 60.2%

I have a Thinkpad T42 with Win XP Pro. It worked fine with hibernate. then sometime ago I lost this feature...After reset, the option to hibernate appears on the shutdown list of options. but when trying it, it will not go to hibernation, although it reports that it is trying to. no error report is posted. it just goes back to desktop screen. no the hibernate option on the shutdown list is gone even though I see that hibernation is enabled. any suggestions?

A:Can't Hibernate my Thinkpad T42

Try removing the hibernate function, then turning back onright click desktoppropertiesscreensaver tabpower buttonHibernate tabCheck the Enable hibernation box, rebootdefrag the Disk (I use http://www.piriform.com/defragglerthen reverse what you did above to re enable it

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/346687/cant-hibernate-my-thinkpad-t42/
Relevancy 59.34%

After almost a year of "no problems" operation my PC has suddenly developed a strange will of its own on shut-down.
I always put my PC into hibernate mode rather than switching it off. I use the START/Shut Down/Hibernate series of steps. Suddenly recently, my PC still goes into hibernate, as previously, but after approx 2-3 seconds the PC suddenly restarts! The only way to end PC use is now to shut it down completely which is a pain as it takes far longer to restart next time I use the machine.
Help please.

A:PC reboots after going into Hibernate mode

Run SFC SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker
And perform a System Restore

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/163279-pc-reboots-after-going-into-hibernate-mode.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Windows Home Premium SP Build Mobo Gigabyte M MT-S P AMD Phenom II X T Processor Mhz Cores I guess it is best to just explain the experience going it's of only sleep. Computer coming likely out as when reboots into sleep, I Computer reboots when coming out of sleep, likely only as it's going into sleep. am having In January Computer reboots when coming out of sleep, likely only as it's going into sleep. I purchased my first SSD drive promptly installed Windows on it to use as my boot drive I was very pleased with how quickly the system would come out of sleep so I've become accustomed to letting my computer go to sleep when previously I had disabled this feature On the th I got a new tower and transferred everything into there On the th I ran into a little anomaly with the Computer reboots when coming out of sleep, likely only as it's going into sleep. sleep function where I went to wake the system and the mouse light went from on to off and the system booted up to the POST screen From the POST screen I noticed that the SSD was missing from the detected devices so of course the system failed to boot I hit the reset button and the same thing happened I held down the power button to turn the PC off then immediately turned it back on and it was back to being detected I guess that since it was missing during that first boot the BIOS automatically set another drive as the boot drive since I had to go into the BIOS settings and correct the boot order Once this issue was fixed I get to the Windows boot screen and it freezes Reset again get past POST then Windows asks me if I want to resume my previous session or delete the resume and do a fresh boot Resume freezes new boot works fine So I'm back into Windows everything seems fine Some time later I changed my power settings so that the computer went to sleep after minutes instead of an hour Since this change the crashes from sleep happen more frequently Though I am not sure on this I think it is because I am more likely to come back to my computer after minutes than I am after an hour and I think the crashes are happening because I've tried to wake the system as it's trying to go to sleep Step out for a break come back in minutes and crash Go out for two hours come back and it wakes fine I think every now and then I by chance catch the system just as it is trying to sleep and there is some problem here that causes it to not handle this well but I don't know how to fix it All in all I believe this has happened maybe - times in the past days I've checked Event Viewer not a lot of info but this is what it says Log Name System Source EventLog Date PM Event ID Task Category None Level Error Keywords Classic User N A Computer CHASE-DESKTOP Description The previous system shutdown at PM on was unexpected Event Xml lt Event xmlns http schemas microsoft com win events event gt lt System gt lt Provider Name EventLog gt lt EventID Qualifiers gt lt EventID gt lt Level gt lt Level gt lt Task gt lt Task gt lt Keywords gt x lt Keywords gt lt TimeCreated SystemTime - - T Z gt lt EventRecordID gt lt EventRecordID gt lt Channel gt System lt Channel gt lt Computer gt CHASE-DESKTOP lt Computer gt lt Security gt lt System gt lt EventData gt lt Data gt PM lt Data gt lt Data gt lt Data gt lt Data gt lt Data gt lt Data gt lt Data gt lt Data gt lt Data gt lt Data gt lt Data gt lt Data gt lt Data gt lt Binary gt DE C F B DE C B C C lt Binary gt lt EventData gt lt Event gt And Log Name System Source Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power Date PM Event ID Task Category Level Critical Keywords User SYSTEM Computer CHASE-DESKTOP Description The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first This error could be caused if the system stopped responding crashed or lost power unexpectedly Event Xml lt Event xmlns http schemas microsoft com win events event gt lt System gt lt Provider Name Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power Guid C B A- - C -AC E- C D B gt lt EventID gt lt EventID gt lt Version gt lt Version... Read more

A:Computer reboots when coming out of sleep, likely only as it's going into sleep.

SSD and sleep sometimes doesn't mix to well. There might be a fix from the vendor. A good read here on your same issue to give you an idea why. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/06/ask-ars-do-solid-state-drives-cause-problems-with-sleep-mode/

SSD's boot so fast in my opinion it's kind of pointless to have sleep or hibernation. I would be sure to turn off all that garbage...sleep, hibernation, defrag, HD indexing, HD paging, Windows Search service etc. Hibernation alone uses like 10g's of hd space. Windows places a hidden file called hiberfil.sys on C: To turn it off go to cmd.exe run as admin and type powercfg -h off. Hiberfil.sys will vanish from the drive and you will regain hd space. HD paging, again take control of that and turn it off completely or limit it's useage to like 400-2048 depending on how much memory the system has. Hope that helps you out.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/529218/computer-reboots-when-coming-out-of-sleep-likely-only-as-its-going-into-sleep/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi, I updated from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10 recently on my Thinkpad. When I hibernate the laptop it just hangs and does not wake up. I used to face this problem on Windows 8 too but it was not frequent, mostly laptop used to wakeup on power button press. But on Windows 10 it never does. Any solution for this? Power options settingsSleep - All options - Never (I even tried by setting up time for Hibernate option) RegardsAkil

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T450-Laptop-ThinkPad-Hibernate/td-p/3331189
Relevancy 58.05%

New Dell Latitude E w docking station I have a Dell monitor hooked up HDMI directly to laptop another a BSOD during hibernate immediately) new laptop on (reboots dvi thru the docking station I leave the laptop constantly closed and use both monitors I think this is important because I noticed if I turned off both monitors I'd hear the windows sound for 'devices disconnecting' and BSOD during hibernate on a new laptop (reboots immediately) then BSOD during hibernate on a new laptop (reboots immediately) the computer would seem to instantly go into hibernate mode and reboot with BSOD during hibernate on a new laptop (reboots immediately) a quick BSOD I turned a monitor back on to see what was going on I'd have to sign back in after a reboot and Windows Recovered from an Unexpected Error would appear Problem signature Problem Event Name BlueScreen OS Version Locale ID Additional information about the problem BCCode a BCP BCP BCP BCP FFFFF A OS Version Service Pack Product Attached per forum instruction is my zip file It also crashes if I left the computer on untouched for a few hours I changed settings yesterday for 'what to do when the lid is closed' to basically do nothing and now it seems to work better while only going to sleep after a long period of inactivity I think the problem is only when it hibernates but just an uneducated guess Other computer particulars are in my profile My first post to this forum so I'm hoping I gave you proper and correct format info Thank you

A:BSOD during hibernate on a new laptop (reboots immediately)

Looks like your blue screen problems are being caused by your webcam drivers:
Code:
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck A, {0, 2, 0, fffff80002a98325}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for CtClsFlt.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for CtClsFlt.sys
Probably caused by : CtClsFlt.sys ( CtClsFlt+158b )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------
Driver Reference Table - CtClsFlt.sys

looking at the driver we can see that it is very old:

Code:
start end module name
fffff880`02969000 fffff880`02993fe0 CtClsFlt T (no symbols)
Loaded symbol image file: CtClsFlt.sys
Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\CtClsFlt.sys
Image name: CtClsFlt.sys
Timestamp: Fri Sep 10 05:22:16 2010 (4C89F8C8)
CheckSum: 00031D15
ImageSize: 0002AFE0
Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
please update the driver from here: Creative Worldwide Support

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/301401-bsod-during-hibernate-new-laptop-reboots-immediately.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I have HP pavillion DV6703TX laptop and there is a problem with brightness in it. When it resumes from sleep its brightness change control stops working, means it cannot be changed either by F7 and F8 keys or by power management option in vista settings. Also brightness option in windows mobility center is not shown after this happens, every other options like sound, battery state shows on hitting WIN+X. So to change brightness I have to restart windows then it works completely fine and brightness option also shows on mobilty center box. Is there any hotfix for this like there was one for sound problem after sleep in vista. I have upgraded the latest available video driver on driver download support section but the problem persists. please help :-(

A:vista brightness control doesnt work after resuming from sleep

Hi. . .

Are you updated with Vista SP1?

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-brightness-control-doesnt-work-after-resuming-from-sleep-287037.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Greetings,

I just purchased an IBM T21 ThinkPad and I noticed it doing something strange. When I attempt to boot from battery only it boots to hibernate mode. A box comes up and says plug in AC or it will hibernate. I thought maybe it was a bad battery but it has 93% left when I do get it started. Is there a setting that only lets it boot to hibernate somewhere?

Thanks
Smitty

A:Solved: ThinkPad boot from battery only boots to hibernate mode

This was a battery problem, all set now

Smitty

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-thinkpad-boot-from-battery-only-boots-to-hibernate-mode.475670/
Relevancy 56.33%

When i am turning off my PC i don't see the option to put my PC to Sleep or Hibernate !! Can some1 assist by tell me how to get it back on.

A:Sleep or Hibernate !!

To turn on the hibernate option, make sure you are logged on as administrator.Right click in an empty space on your desktop and select properties.Click the Screen Saver tab.Click the Power button (in the right part, above the Cancel button).Click the Hibernate tab and check Enable hibernation.Click Apply and then OK, the power option window will close.Click OK, the display options window will close.Now you should be able to use hibernation.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/225920/sleep-or-hibernate/
Relevancy 56.33%

Got a brand new Dell Inspiron 1525 with Vista Home Basic, and it will not sleep or hibernate.

Instead of sleeping or hibernating like it's supposed to, it goes through the process like it's going to work, then immediately restarts Windows and says that Windows had a problem when shutting down and asks me if I want to boot in safe or normal mode.

The thing is BRAND new.

A:Will Not Sleep or Hibernate

hi Entensity,

do you initiate the hibernate manually (function keys)? please post the error that you see.

thanks.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/will-not-sleep-or-hibernate-242124.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello , I check forums but I didn't find solution for me so I'm gonna ask.
I have windows 7 installed on laptop which has good performance.

I want to put him to sleep or hibernate so he can cool himself a bit , but without closing my network applications such as one game and one sharing program.

I tried any way but I'm connected to network with usb wireless adapter to my modem , or I can connect with usb cable to him.

Any way I try my connection goes off.
If there is any possible way of saving some power or cooling him off a little while using some network applications I would be happy to know about it.

Thanks.

A:Sleep or Hibernate

Welcome to SF!

I don't think so, unfortunately. You can have it turn off the display, that will help a little.

Power Plan Settings - Change

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/89725-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Lenovo Ideapad Yoga Windows bit Gb Ram Intel i Gb SSD I have started to hibernate the laptop when I'm not using it instead of using sleep to save battery power When I was using sleep I had the wake timers enabled to allow the laptop to wake to run scheduled backup tasks My understanding is that the laptop will not wake up from hibernate but it does wake up from hibernate to perform a scheduled task It seems that the hibernate and sleep commands put the system into the same low power state Whether I hibernate or sleep the event in Event Viewer is the same quot Event Kernel Power The system is entering sleep quot Whether the laptop wakes from hibernate or sleep the event is the same quot Event - Power - Troubleshooter The system has returned from a low power state quot and Hibernate Sleep However the outward signs showing hibernate or sleep are different in sleep the power light Hibernate and Sleep flashes on and off and the battery light is on in hibernate the power and battery lights are off My understanding also is that when you hibernate the state of the system is saved in the hiberfil sys file However the time stamp in this file does not update Hibernate and Sleep with each hibernation which only shows the time of the first bootup of the day The Hibernate and Sleep overall power plan is balanced and the settings are the same whether on battery or plugged in In Power Options System Settings Change settings that are currently unavailable fast startup sleep hibernate and lock are all enabled In Power Options Change plan settings Change advanced power settings Sleep hybrid sleep is disabled and wake timers are enabled

A:Hibernate and Sleep

Hello Alanbo, and welcome to Eight Forums.

The timestamp may still show the same due to fast startup being enabled unless you actually restart the computer. Fast startup doesn't save the same way to the hiberfil.sys as hibernate does.

As a test, you might turn off fast startup to see how it works for you afterwards.

Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 8

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/25488-hibernate-sleep.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I ve had this computer about days At first I didn t notice the problem but I can't XPS New sleep hibernate 13 or did notice a touchpad wasn t working I troubleshot that for the first day downloaded all updates made sure all drivers were new bios was the latest version etc Finally had to uninstall Microsoft drivers and install Synaptic drivers Which seemed to fix that problem I believe the first day the computer could sleep By the rd day though I found my battery had completely drained overnight and quickly found the computer wouldn t sleep or hibernate It would turn off though and restart I used powercfg and event viewer to see what was happening In event viewer I noticed that everytime I would try and sleep I would get an error from Runtimebroker exe about not having proper permissions I found a solution to that but then event viewer said that a printer driver was preventing sleep I uninstalled that Then event viewer was saying USBHUB was preventing sleep I disabled that Still wasn t sleeping and from then on event viewer just said quot an unknown event quot was preventing sleep Got some errors in from powercfg too the most worrisome New XPS 13 can't sleep or hibernate was quot aspm disabled due to hardware incompatibility quot Never figured this one out Also in New XPS 13 can't sleep or hibernate event view nbsp was quot Intel R Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework quot errors At this point I just did a fresh install with a full wipe Everything went fine although strangely the Synaptic drivers I had to install manually last time tried to install automatically Before I made any changes I tried to sleep again and no luck Plus I see all the errors I saw last time Runtimebroker permission errors ASPM and TDP errors nbsp Plus my touchpad again with the Microsoft drivers I m out of ideas Any thoughts

A:New XPS 13 can't sleep or hibernate

I tried the following and none worked consistently:update bios to 1.4.4
disable hibernate
boot into safe mode
change power scheme. 
The worst thing is that the computer even won't keep shutting down. It powers itself up right after powering off. 
Dell, are you listening? 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19982972
Relevancy 56.33%

I have a dell XPS1702x laptop Win7 64, this problem came up in the last 5 days after I installed a logitech M705 mouse and software.When ever I put my laptop in sleep or hibernate and start up again I get a blank screen, but the laptop seems tobe running I have to turn the computer off and then on again using the power button. My computer then restarts and opens in the Error Recovert Screen stating that the computer was turned off improperly and ask if I want to restart Windows. I have preformed a complete Virus scan with Nortons 360, I have updating all my software, uninstalled the mouse and returned to my old mouse and the software for the new mouse and the problem is still there. As I read the Questions on the MS community it looks like I'm not alone with this problem. does any one have a possible solution ?

A:Can't use sleep or hibernate

Hi hootcow,

There are many possible causes for this issue. Please try the following troubleshooting steps to see if they work:
1. Update BIOS:
Note: Battery should have 10% or greater charge; Adapter should be connected; No external devices should be connected; All other programs should be closed and documents saved
- Click Driver Details | Dell United States to download the BIOS file and install it as per the on-screen instructions
- Laptop will restart itself (may produce some beeps); recheck results

2. If the issue persists, try installing 'Windows Updates': Ensure that the 'Logitech Mouse' is working with the laptop while you perform the update
- Click 'Start icon' > Type 'Windows Update' in 'Search programs and files' in the text box > Tap Enter and follow the on-screen instructions to install all updates > Restart the laptop and check results

3. If the issue still persists, you may also try updating the 'video drivers'; Dell XPS L702x laptop offers 'NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M and GT 555M' as discrete video options:
- Click Driver Details | Dell United States to update the 'Intel HD Graphics 3000 driver'
- Restart laptop after updating
- Click Driver Details | Dell United States to update the 'Discrete Video card driver'
- Restart and check again

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/269935-cant-use-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I have heard many side of the debate about weither or not to sleep or Hibernate a PC or shut down or leaving it powered on Here are my two setups let me know what you think should be best I want to try and conserve power while Hibernate? vs Sleep not impacting my computer usage that much if at all Both PC s are running Sleep vs Hibernate? Windows Desktop- I leave this one running I kinda make it my personal quot server quot Sleep vs Hibernate? and i use Windows Live Mesh to snyc my PC s together I do open it up - times a year and blow out dust with compressed air so that dust does not build up Ive been doing this since i got my first PC in and never had a hardware failure Sleep vs Hibernate? except one failed Hdd I have a Flat Panel LCD monitor which i turn off Would it be better to let the LCD quot sleep quot too Laptop-I power down this when im not using it My main consern is about putting it into sleep mode and sticking in a Neoprene sleve and carrying it around in my backpack im a college student Would a sleeve or a backback restrict airflow and possible overheat or would a computer be more prone to damage while powered on sleep or full power The laptop i am also tired of having to boot it up before my classes start is it ok to leave a laptop on Im thinking of getting an external cooler and fan and leaving in on there while im at home and or charging the battery

A:Sleep vs Hibernate?

I'm not a fan of either Hibernation or Sleep. My recommendations:

For the desktop, just set the display and hd to power down after a defined period of inactivity.

As for the laptop, t just power it down when you're not using it? Booting it before classes start can't be that much of a problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/420024/sleep-vs-hibernate/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi everyone!
I'm having a problem.
I can't put my computer to sleep ou hibernate ... okay, i can buy only for a few seconds. After that computer wake up.
Someone can help me?
I don't know what i need to do.
Regards.

A:My PC don't Hibernate or Sleep - Help is need

You might read through this thread for some ideas.

Quieting Windows 7 down....

Have checked your Power Options via the Control Panel?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/72555-my-pc-dont-hibernate-sleep-help-need.html
Relevancy 56.33%

My dad wanted to remove Vista from his Dell Vostro 1700. And obviously i put seven on. Until recently the Sleep and Hibernate options are Gone!!! No where to be found. Avg didn't find any viruses at all... but malware bytes found three the INSTANT i pluged in my SD Card.

I surprisingly made an image of the Laptop, do i have to reapply it?

My dad does not like it when he shuts the screen, then it shutdowns FORCING ALL APPS TO EXIT OR CLOSE!

A:Sleep Hibernate ... all gone

You could try looking at the advanced power settings. Click on the battery icon on the task bar & select more power options, then select Change plan settings next to the currently active power plan.

There is options for sleep & hibernate, you could look to see if they've been disabled. Other than that i'll keep looking for other possible causes/solutions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/7216-sleep-hibernate-all-gone.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Win XP will not Standby or Hibernate. Monitor also. I have adjusted the Power Properties many times. Is there a certain order that the Min's must be set to.

A:Why no Sleep or Hibernate

There's no special order for setting Min's.Did you exit the settings screen then go back later to see if the settings are retained?Is this a new XP install because apparently this can happen when you haven't installed your chipset drivers?Also go to Device Manager and see if any errors are showing, usually yellow exclamation marks.Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanksmessage edited by Derek

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/why-no-sleep-or-hibernate/203358.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello.
I changed my Power option to "Power saver" and set my system going to Hibernate after 60 minutes but another option with the name "put the computer to sleep" is enable and set to "45" minutes and my computer never going to hibernate.
Is it my problem? Must I set "sleep" to "never" ?

Tnx.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/84f3356a-09e4-426a-92cd-1a3f22a074c9/sleep-vs-hibernate?forum=w7itproperf
Relevancy 56.33%

Dual Booting 7/8 on an eMachine T5234.

Won't timeout to sleep or hibernate, or hibernate even on command.

With old or new Nvidia driver delivered for Win8.

When I run last wake command after failure I get this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.8250]
(c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet
An active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine.

AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
None.

PERFBOOST:
None.

A:Won't sleep or hibernate.

I had similar problems under Windows 7, so I'm guessing the base issue is similar. I found my solution, by following the instructions found at Windows 7 Power Management: Fixing PC Insomnia The specific information that helped me, is the section under 'Allow Standby with Remote Opens' about halfway down the page.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/5277-wont-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I have herd arguements both ways, one issue I herd was that in "sleep" mode the system keeps running and in a enclosed bag (laptop bag or backpack) can overheat fast, also I have herd hibetrnate is borked up.

Well, I have hibernated and also used sleep, but whats the reccomended way.

If its hibernate, how can I just remove the sleep option from the shutdown options, and if its sleep how can I remove the hibernate options ?

Thankyas

A:Sleep or Hibernate ?

Just Like Coke vs Pepsi, it really boils down your own personal preference. Both drawbacks you list can be true. The main difference though is that sleep does not totally power down your system. Which is why a laptop in a bag will get hot. It still draws power to the memory, which is why it restarts so quickly. However if the power is interrupted for any reason, battery dead, unplugged, brown/blackout, you lose what was running at the time. Hibernate saves everything to the hard disk and totally powers down the entire system. Power can og out or battery removed and it will still return to the last state it was in when it hibernated albeit in a slightly longer amount of time than the Sleep function. Catch is the file what it uses to store the hibernation data, (hiberfil.sys) is very large (typically equal to the amount of RAM you have installed) and can become corrupted which can cause various problems.

Either way the easiest way to shutdown in whatever manner you decide is to assign the Start menu Power button to do either option under Control Panel/Power Options/Advanced options. Also if your keyboard has a sleep button (It typically looks like a crescent moon) then that sometimes can be programed to do the same thing as well.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/127987-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Sleep mode doesn't work when lid close, why?
When i close the lid the sleep mode doesn't work the laptop still functioning and the same thing happen with hibernate I have Win 7 and have done this. Go to Start then Control Panel
Go to the category System and Security
Then go under the category Power Options
Under Favorite Fashion , click Change settings for the active mode
Click Change advanced power settings
Unroll Watch and ensure Hybrid and choose Disable
This hybrid mode is disabled thereby activating the standby mode normal and hibernate

It still doesn't work I check everything on those steps and all seems fine but when i close the lid and open it back again the screen is black with the laptop still functioning. Any idea why or how to fix it?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/my-pc-won-t-go-to-sleep-or-hibernate-why-586804.html
Relevancy 56.33%

When I don't plan to use my computer for several hours (say, at night when I go to bed), should I set it to: sleep, hibernate, or off?

A:Sleep, hibernate, or off?

I personally turn mine off. Sleep can be problematic especially if you're on older hardware, and hibernate takes a huge chunk of drive space.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/150372-sleep-hibernate-off.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi I have a -bit AMD Athlon dual-Core HP Compaq Windows sleep hibernate or Can't Vista laptop I don t know how long this problem is going on but for a while already every time I put my laptop Can't sleep or hibernate to sleep or hibernate it wakes up by itself a few minutes later I m worried since I know that it s not good for Can't sleep or hibernate a computer to be on the whole time I tried many things that I saw online such as disabling quot WakeUp LAN quot in my Device Manager and making sure that my Mouse and other things aren t allowed to wake up my computer and that my computer can shut them off to save power Nothing helps The quot WakeUp LAN quot things helped for a few days and then I was back to square one I don t know what to do I d really appreciate if anyone has useful advice for me preferably something that doesn t involve messing with the registry or restoring it to a earlier restore point Thanks a lot nbsp

Relevancy 56.33%

I've had this problem in Win 7 as well, and I've changed everything I can think of including my bios, but I can't get my computer to just go to sleep, always goes to hibernate. My mobo is PCCHIPS A15G

A:Only goes to hibernate - won't sleep

A corrupt video driver can play tricks with standby / hibernate
Try reinstalling that first

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/251047/only-goes-to-hibernate-wont-sleep/
Relevancy 55.9%

I m having an extremely weird vista startup error I just built my computer about a month ago and installed Vista Ultimate -bit SP- It took me about tries but I finally got vista installed I updated the drivers for the graphics card and sound card installed Norton Internet Security and Supreme Commander FA and it started doing this weird restarting stuff Once booted up my computer runs fine It runs Supcom Crashes, Works 64-bit Reboots, Startup Vista Error: Reboots, FA perfectly at all max settings with no slowdown and has never crashed once This makes me think it is not a hardware issue Here s where the problems start Every time I turn on my computer the graphics card cycles the fan high then low high then low eight times before it boots It didn t do that before I want to fix that because it takes a long time and the noise is annoying Once it boots up Vista 64-bit Startup Error: Reboots, Crashes, Reboots, Works I get the quot Windows Error Recovery quot screen and if I select quot start normally quot it starts to boot green loading bar then gives me a bluescreen for second too fast to read or get a pic of then reboots I get the quot Vista 64-bit Startup Error: Reboots, Crashes, Reboots, Works Windows Error Recovery quot screen again and select quot use previous settings quot and it will sometimes start normally other times I have to repeat this process Every time I start normally it crashes and reboots Once it s booted it works fine I tried booting off the install DVD and running quot Repair My Computer quot First I said no to using system restore It said there was a patch error and that it could not be fixed automatically When I used System Restore I think it deleted Norton but it started up fine Next restart however it was back to restarting Also any time the computer enters sleep mode the graphics fan goes crazy and it snaps out of sleep Any help I have all the manuals and CDs DVDs that came with the hardware as well as the Vista install disk Re-Installing Vista is definitely an option as i haven t really been able to install anything important or create any important files Here are the specs OS Windows Vista Ultimate x SP- Motherboard ASUS P N-D nforce i CPU Q stock RAM G DDR - OCZ Reaper Graphics PNY XLR GTX Sound HT OMEGA CLARO Plus Hard Drives x Western Digital Caviar GB in Raid Disk Drives x SATA x DVD Burner CPU Cooler Zalman mm CNPS Case NZXT Apollo Mid Tower Monitor LG W T-TF quot Widescreen A V Soft Norton Internet Security nbsp

A:Vista 64-bit Startup Error: Reboots, Crashes, Reboots, Works

Bump.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-64-bit-startup-error-reboots-crashes-reboots-works.764507/
Relevancy 55.47%

Please Someone Expain More Info For This 3 Mode ?

Sleep Mode It's Same Shut down But Save Time For Startup Again But Use More Energy ?

I'm Desktop PC

A:Shut down / Sleep / Hibernate ???

Sleep mode means your user session is kept stored in the memory (RAM) while everything else (other than LED lights) is turned off. If you unplug your PC while in sleep mode, you lose all unsaved work since RAM is not able to store data without electricity unlike Hard drives.

Hibernate means the user session that is stored in the memory is stored in a file called hiberfil.sys and then Windows completely turns off all the devices and the computer itself. You can uplug your PC safely by using this mode. When you turn on your PC, you basically get to your previous user session.

Shutdown is self-explanatory.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/267699-shut-down-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi,

gave up - deleted all apps whose drivers showed up in dmp-files (being indicated to cause problems), but ended up with pci.sys - and this one I believe should not be deleteted ...

The problem started a few months ago, when the system sporadically crashed when going to sleep or hibernate. The rate of crashes grew over time, and since a few weeks sleep and hibernate isn't possible any more.
I attached the Windows_NT6_BSOD_jcgriff2.ZIP with all the necessary files - I hope ...

Sony VAIO VPCEC1M1E, 1 year old
Win7 SP1

Thanks in advance for any help
Wulff

A:sleep/hibernate crash

Quote: Originally Posted by daibutsu

Hi,

gave up - deleted all apps whose drivers showed up in dmp-files (being indicated to cause problems), but ended up with pci.sys - and this one I believe should not be deleteted ...

The problem started a few months ago, when the system sporadically crashed when going to sleep or hibernate. The rate of crashes grew over time, and since a few weeks sleep and hibernate isn't possible any more.
I attached the Windows_NT6_BSOD_jcgriff2.ZIP with all the necessary files - I hope ...

Sony VAIO VPCEC1M1E, 1 year old
Win7 SP1

Thanks in advance for any help
Wulff

No attachment uploaded. Please try again

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/165560-sleep-hibernate-crash.html
Relevancy 55.47%

what is the difference between sleep mode and hibernate? i do alot of downloading and id like to keep my files going while i go to bed so i just leave it, but it only resumes once i get back on the computer. to keep my files going even when i shut the lid of my laptop, which setting would i need?

A:the difference between sleep and hibernate

Hi Colin,

Either option will allow you do what you are wanting. The Sleep option will allow the computer to wakeup a lot faster though. The decriptions in steps 6, 7, and 8 in STEP TWO of this tutorial will help explain the differences more.

Power Options and Sleep Mode Problems

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/165313-difference-between-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi.

On my system (ASUS A6Va laptop) I have trouble with sleep and hibernation. Computer can enter sleep mode normally, but when I wake it up I get the black screen and have to hard reset. Now I know this a somewhat common problem with no universal solution, but the more interesting (and maybe related?) problem I have is with hibernation. When I choose hibernate option computer tries to go to hibernate mode but after some time (not longer than 20 seconds) it just gets back to login screen with my session active. The interesting part of all that is that my hiberfil.sys file is smaller than my RAM. It is only 1.4 gigs in size, when I have 2 gigs of RAM. I tried disabling and enabling hibernation but it's still only 1.4 gigs big. Is anyone else having a similar problem?

A:Problem with sleep and hibernate (again)

> I have is with hibernation. When I choose hibernate option computer tries to go to hibernate mode but after some time (not longer than 20 seconds) it just gets back to login screen with my session active.
I got the same problem and only this week inverstigate what does it mean.
I use this disk partitioning scheme.
I resize and move original Windows 7 partition and free up place at the beginig of physical disk.
And install Windows XP as additional operating system on first partition and make it active.
In Ntldr boot menu I add line with Boot Record of second partitition and boot Windows 7 from XP.
After installation SP1 for Windows 7 I got same problem with Hibernate.
For testing purposes I make second partition active and my Hibernate works now.
Check your boot configuration.
I think than Microsoft check, is current partition active or is it should be first partition after computer powered on.
Good luck.
As Microsoft Certified Trainer I wrote big post How I use windows Xp at my Asus 1005PE (on Russian). You are welcome.
Now I use follow boot configuration.
1. Windows 7 is active partition (second) and I use EasyBSD to edit boot configuration.
2. I add ntldr file, boot.ini to Windows 7 partition and add it to Windows 7.
3. Use arc path in boot.ini "disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)...." to boot Windows XP (check screenshot)
4. As additional bonus, I can boot another ntldr bootable OSes from same and different physical disks.
Good luck.
IamDimulya.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/2601-problem-sleep-hibernate-again.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I am having an issue with my laptop that has just recently showed up though I have had the computer for over two years and have had Windows on it essentially since release Because I go back to the computer frequently over the course of the day Sleep/Hibernate issue I have always put it into sleep mode Lately however when I go to 'wake' the computer I can hear the drive spin up and the power light indicates that the computer is back to being active however the display does not come on at all and the keyboard is unresponsive trying capslock and such to check Hunting around the internet the general consensus in the few threads I have found was 'update your graphics driver' however I have uninstalled then re-installed the most up to date driver from Toshiba as well as getting uninstalling Sleep/Hibernate issue that and installing the most current driver released directly from ATI Both times have attempted this process about twice per sleep mode and hibernate as well will work for a day or so then return to that same issue Windows itself should not be corrupt or have registry errors already as I had wiped and done a fresh install just a couple of months ago and am fairly vigilant when it comes to security Most issues I'm able to either sort out myself or Sleep/Hibernate issue look up the solution of my own accord but this one has me stumped so any offerings would be appreciated Technical info Windows Professional bit with all major updates installed it is set so I can cherrypick the updates I wish to install and thus leave out items like internet explorer updates and such that I do not use ATI Radeon Graphics card gig RAM AMD Turion Dual core GHZ Security Software Norton Internet Security Netbook edition not a big Norton fan but since my dad had a spare license I'll take the freebie with Adaware anti-spyware and Noscript Adblock plugins for firefox Thank you for your time

A:Sleep/Hibernate issue

Hi -

Get rid of Lavasoft Ad-Aware and Norton Internet Security.

Uninstall Ad-Aware, then re-boot to allow removal of boot and kernel mode drivers.

NIS/ N360 removal - http://jcgriff2.com/NRT_N360_Removal.html

Reboot upon completion.

Install MSE - http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Allow ALL Windows Updates to come in - www.update.microsoft.com

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/sleep-hibernate-issue-525917.html
Relevancy 55.47%

sometimes my pc won't wake from sleep or hibernation, and i have to force off...then after starting up, it greets me with a message that says "windows has recovered fro man unexpected error"

i included the dmp file for you, hope somebody can help me, thx in advance

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sleep-hibernate-problems.1003598/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi,
I have exactly some problem with my HP Pavillion....

A:Computer won't hibernate/sleep

Quote:

Originally Posted by paceg

Hi,
I have exactly some problem with my HP Pavillion....

Hello , please start your own thread here :

Quote:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ewthread&f=217

Along with your full system specs,and symptoms.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/computer-wont-hibernate-sleep-647671.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi guys as you can see my pc will not hibernate or sleep.

When i hibernate it it goes throught the process fo hibernating the computer after it has done so it doesnt switch the power off at all and just boots back up again

Dont know why it is doing this so all help is welcome,

Thanks, Peter

A:Wont hibernate or sleep

Welcome to the Forum, Peter

For both 7 and Vista

Power Options and Sleep Mode Problems - Vista Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/88974-wont-hibernate-sleep.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 9088
BCP1: FFFFF8800688F880
BCP2: FFFFF8800688F884
BCP3: FFFFF8800688F890
BCP4: FFFFF8800688F894
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\052910-33618-01.dmp
C:\Users\Xo The GuRu oX\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-88296-0.sysdata.xml

Here is my dump file... Thanks

A:BlueScreen after Sleep/Hibernate again

Quote: Originally Posted by windows7problem

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 9088
BCP1: FFFFF8800688F880
BCP2: FFFFF8800688F884
BCP3: FFFFF8800688F890
BCP4: FFFFF8800688F894
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\052910-33618-01.dmp
C:\Users\Xo The GuRu oX\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-88296-0.sysdata.xml

Here is my dump file... Thanks

Pretty straight forward. Your RAID driver. Iastor. download a fresh copy and install

Let us know if you need help with that

Ken

Code:
Built by: 7600.16539.amd64fre.win7_gdr.100226-1909
Debug session time: Sat May 29 05:03:06.577 2010 (GMT-4)
System Uptime: 7 days 15:10:02.512
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for iaStor.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for iaStor.sys
BugCheck 9088, {fffff8800688f880, fffff8800688f884, fffff8800688f890, fffff8800688f894}
Probably caused by : iaStor.sys ( iaStor+4b41e )
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x9088
PROCESS_NAME: IAANTmon.exe

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/88015-bluescreen-after-sleep-hibernate-again.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I have done a fresh installation of windows 10Prox64 on this laptop which originally came pre-loaded with windows7 Prox64. I installed the drivers on the disk included. now everytime the laptop hibernates or sleeps i can not wake it up - the screen flashes several times then goes white. Nothing comes up on the screen not even the mouse pointer. i can only proceed by doing a forced power off and when i power it up works normally as long as it does not sleep. i have installed all driver/windows updates with the same result. Is there anything else i can try other than return it to HP?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/sleep-hibernate-issue/td-p/5644196
Relevancy 55.47%

What's The difference between the sleep & Hibernate ?

A:The difference between the sleep & Hibernate ?

Welcome
From Microsoft, all that you want to know about sleep.
Sleep and hibernation: frequently asked questions

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/240852-difference-between-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 55.47%

niether work, so following instructions from another old thread i went to cmd & entered - powercfg.exe/hibernate on.

I got-

there are one or more legacy drivers installed:
vgasave
an internal system component has disabled hibernation

can anyone help me please, my OS is windows7 64bit

thanks

A:hibernate&sleep greyed out

stevaggie,

It would be beneficial to both you & us if we could have your System Specs.
See snip below

* When did your problem first occur?

* Were both working previously?

* Did you make recent changes to your computer?

Links for you to peruse.

sleep/hibernate greyed out

Sleep States - See Available Sleep States

Hibernate - Enable or Disable

The "sleep" function in windows 7 is grayed out, not - Microsoft Answers

Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate Commands - Add or Remove

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/213960-hibernate-sleep-greyed-out.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I upgraded Vista to 7 Home Premium 32bit 6 months ago on a Sony Vaio 'All In One' VGC-LV1S bought around 18 moths ago, and started getting the occasional BSOD after resuming from sleep or hibernate. It now happens every time. None of the device drivers are showing problems following the BSOD shut down and reboot.

Would be grateful for some help. Minidump zip attached and includes performance monitor (which says I don't have anti-virus but I'm actually running Kaspersky IS 2011 without any problems).

A:BSOD after sleep/hibernate

Hi Glebe and Welcome.

The five latest dump files all give a stop error 0x44. They also blame various system files which is highly unlkely.

STOP 0x00000044: MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS
Usual causes: Device driver(s). This indicates that a driver has tried to requested an IRP be completed that is already complete.

Outdated drivers can and do cause problems.

Bugcheck Analysis
Code:
* Bugcheck Analysis *

BugCheck 44, {888633e0, 1d7b, 0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for kl1.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for kl1.sys
Probably caused by : kl1.sys ( kl1+1a4d1a )

Outdated Drivers. Update or Uninstall:

AVerAVF2.sys Tue Jul 08 09:14:48 2008 AVerMedia Driver for NEC6125X Series

DMICall.sys Tue Dec 05 07:14:23 2000 Sony DMI Call service
SFEP.sys Fri Aug 03 06:36:08 2007 Sony Firmware Extension Parser driver

e1y6032.sys Mon Aug 18 22:44:37 2008 Intel 82567V Gigabit Network driver

elrawdsk.sys Fri Jun 08 14:34:59 2007 RawDisk Driver by EldoS Corporation

HECI.sys Fri Mar 28 19:42:10 2008 Intel Management Engine Interface

PxHelp20.sys Thu Mar 13 01:57:44 2008 Sonic CD/DVD driver. Used by many different programs.

regi.sys Mon Apr 16 16:19:05 2007 InterVideo regi.sys driver

RimSerial.sys Mon Nov 24 17:02:13 2008 RIM Virtual Driver Blackberry?)

As a rule of thumb, the date for third party drivers to be compatible with Windows 7 is 13 July 2009. Windows 7 is a new operating system. It bears no relation to XP.
Hardware and software designed for XP will not run on Windows 7 unless the Mfr's have updated them to be compatible. Many Mfr's choose not to spend time and money writing new drivers which you download for free. They live better by selling new software and hardware.
Check all your software and hardware that you used on XP. Upgrade the software and hardware to a date preferably post 13 July 2009. If you can't update then you should uninstall and replace it.

Drivers with Updates:

rimsptsk.sys Sat May 24 14:35:01 2008
risdptsk.sys Thu May 01 12:04:08 2008 Ricoh Memory Card Reader driver OEM

RTKVHDA.sys Fri Jun 20 09:56:49 2008 http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=8&PFid=14&Level=3&Conn=2

Drivers:
Code:
9452d000 94559000 1394ohci 1394ohci.sys Tue Jul 14 00:51:59 2009 (4A5BC89F)
83f9e000 83fe6000 ACPI ACPI.sys Tue Jul 14 00:11:11 2009 (4A5BBF0F)
9202e000 92088000 afd afd.sys Tue Jul 14 00:12:34 2009 (4A5BBF62)
945a9000 945bb000 AgileVpn AgileVpn.sys Tue Jul 14 00:55:00 2009 (4A5BC954)
8bed9000 8bee2000 amdxata amdxata.sys Tue May 19 18:57:35 2009 (4A12F30F)
a5f4e000 a5f57000 asyncmac asyncmac.sys Tue Jul 14 00:54:46 2009 (4A5BC946)
8bead000 8beb6000 atapi atapi.sys Tue Jul 14 00:11:15 2009 (4A5BBF13)
8beb6000 8bed9000 ataport ataport.SYS Tue Jul 14 00:11:18 2009 (4A5BBF16)
9423c000 94369000 athr athr.sys Mon Oct 05 17:31:48 2009 (4ACA1F74)
94406000 944f5280 AVerAVF2 AVerAVF2.sys Tue Jul 08 09:14:48 2008 (487321F8)
9452a000 9452d000 BdaSup BdaSup.SYS Tue Jul 14 00:51:23 2009 (4A5BC87B)
8c5f4000 8c5fb000 Beep Beep.SYS Tue Jul 14 00:45:00 2009 (4A5BC6FC)
921d9000 921e7000 blbdrive blbdrive.sys Tue Jul 14 00:23:04 2009 (4A5BC1D8)
83ea9000 83eb1000 BOOTVID BOOTVID.dll Tue Jul 14 02:04:34 2009 (4A5BD9A2)
a16b0000 a16c9000 bowser bowser.sys Tue Jul 14 00:14:21 2009 (4A5BBFCD)
95e90000 95eae000 cdd cdd.dll unavailable (00000000)
95156000 95175000 cdrom... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/141150-bsod-after-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello Everyone,
I am new to Windows 8 and to this forum, so please accept my apologies if this query has already been answered somewhere before.
I would be most grateful if someone can help me find out how to alter the time period before a computer running Windows 8 switches into "Sleep" or "Hibernate" mode. I find the default time period to be too short in practice - it is very frustrating to answer a brief phone call and then return to the computer only to find it has dropped into one or other of these states! I have tried a Google search to find a way to alter it, but haven't been able to find any solution thus far. Your collective wisdom on this one will be much appreciated!
Thanks in anticipation.
Cambrorum

A:Changing Sleep and Hibernate

2 words: Control Panel.

See the Power Options. Then the current power plan.

Power Plan Settings - Change in Windows 8

In Advanced Settings you can look for hibernate as well, located in the Sleep section as well.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/30170-changing-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I never used the sleep & hibernate in windows 7 & I would like to know what they do & what is the deference between them. your help will be very much appreciated.

A:What is the deference between sleep & hibernate ?

Sleep is a power-saving state that allows a computer to quickly resume full-power operation (typically within several seconds) when you want to start working again. Putting your computer into the sleep state is like pausing a DVD player—the computer immediately stops what it’s doing and is ready to start again when you want to resume working.
Hibernation is a power-saving state designed primarily for laptops. While sleep puts your work and settings in memory and draws a small amount of power, hibernation puts your open documents and programs on your hard disk, and then turns off your computer. Of all the power-saving states in Windows, hibernation uses the least amount of power. On a laptop, use hibernation when you know that you won't use your laptop for an extended period and won't have an opportunity to charge the battery during that time.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...sked-questions

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/228369-what-deference-between-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 55.47%

All of a sudden when I put computer in sleep or hibernate mode it "wakes up" in a few minutes. No virus or malaware (ran both scans)

Dell Inspiron, windows 7 home prem 64 bit

A:sleep/hibernate keep awakening

Open the Local Area Connection Status window, click Properties then Configure. Check to see if Wake on LAN options are enabled (your UI will probably differ from the screenshot).

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/374789-sleep-hibernate-keep-awakening.html
Relevancy 55.47%

hour hibernation for both CPU and monitor worked perfectly for about two weeks waking up with a touch to the spacebar Then a few days ago the monitor would not wake up but the computer did Now if sleep to NEVER set Monitor hibernate to when goes I turn off the AC power to both units and then re-boot the monitor will turn on but will go back to sleep in about minutes with the blue light blinking The computer will complete a DL or backup with monitor sleeping so it appears OK Checks so far Updated drivers for Monitor goes to sleep when hibernate set to NEVER both monitor and video card with latest available Also updated chipset and BIOS Swapped monitors between computers and the problem went to the second monitor Main monitor worked all day on second computer Spoke to ASUS tech support and was told that the monitor is controlled by the OS Suggested I enable ACPI support default disabled and disable ACPI APIC Support default enabled in BIOS Won't boot to OS when ACPI APIC Support disabled Found a few similar cases on the Internet but no solutions Even tried turning off hibernation and setting monitor timeouts in the Powercfg using CMD prompt Re-installed OS big mistake as it took several hours to get re-registered System OS - Windows Ultimate bit CPU - Intel i - OC'd to GHz MB - Asus P T Deluxe V Video card - EVGA GeForce GTX Air cooler - Thermalright Ultra HD - x GB WD VelociRaptors Memory - GB Corsair latency PS - Corsair HX DVD - Plextor x

A:Monitor goes to sleep when hibernate set to NEVER

Try going to Control Panel power Options, click, choose to turn off display, then click Advanced power settings and look through the list of options.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/39821-monitor-goes-sleep-when-hibernate-set-never.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Since installing a recent windows update I have not been able to put my computer in sleep or hibernate mode. Instead of stopping windows, my system only stops the signal to my monitor and keeps running so when I move my mouse the signal continues. Fortunately, it still shuts down, but it makes time spent between cessions with windows increase as I must shut down and boot up each time. I'd rather not pay $60 for Microsoft to listen to me. Here are the details for the update. Is anyone else having this problem? Has it been resolved?

Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB947562)

Installation date: ‎27/‎05/‎2008 4:48 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Recommended

Install this update to resolve a set of known application compatibility issues with Windows Vista. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
May 2008 Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 Application Compatibility Update

Help and Support:
Microsoft Help and Support

A:Computer won't sleep or hibernate!

Hello wesley.

You may want to take a good look at this tutorial.

Are you using a USB mouse or keyboard?

Later Ted

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/158776-computer-wont-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I have my power options set as follows SLEEP --Sleep after Hibernate Issue to -- Sleep -----On battery minutes -----Plugged in Never --Allow hybrid sleep -----On battery Never -----Plugged in Never --Hibernate after -----On battery minutes -----Plugged in minutes Sleep to Hibernate -- Issue --Allow wake timers -----On Battery Disable -----Plugged in Disable POWER BUTTONS AND LID --Lid close action -----On battery Sleep -----Plugged in Do nothing --Power button action -----On battery Hibernate -----Plugged in Hibernate --Sleep button action -----On battery Sleep -----Plugged in Sleep Here is the issue I am experiencing When running Windows I can close my laptop and it will sleep minutes later it will kick up and go into hibernation just like I want it to When running Windows Consumer Preview I can close my laptop and it will sleep minutes later it will kick up and try to hibernate but will fail Thus it will idle for a few minutes and go back to sleep minutes later it will try to hibernate again get stuck in idle and go back to sleep This is killing my battery If I simply hit power button it will hibernate But I'm not sure why it's not going from sleep to hibernate properly

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/4630-sleep-hibernate-issue.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Laptop: Asus 14" U43F Bamboo Core i5 Notebook
Issue: Start Menu > press 'sleep' > computer goes to sleep. Press power > 'Windows Error Recovery' screen > Start Windows Normally > No applications were saved.
luckily Explorer and Word have recovery options otherwise I'd really be upset.
Power Options have not changed.
same issue for 'hibernate.'
Thank you for your help in advance!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/488835/sleephibernate-issues/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hey there,

I've seen a lot of threads like this one, but since it seems everyone has a different cause, I'm posting my info here

My laptop is about 3 weeks old
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits pre-installed

I'm sure it started happening after some update I did, or something I installed, since it wasn't happening on the first couple of weeks.

This error is sneeky... I'm not able to reproduce it every time I want.... It seems to only happen when It will make me most annoyed.

Attachment 1 is the error I get after it crashes, Attachment 2 is the most recent minidump thing, from earlier today.

Thanks for any help,

Dan

A:Sleep / Hibernate BSOD

if you require any additional information, please let me know.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/154948-sleep-hibernate-bsod.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Howdy. I recently got Vista and am having some serious issues keeping it from sleeping/hibernating. I don't want it to sleep/hibernate and have edited the power scheme, disabled hibernation, etc. It continues to go into sleep/hibernate mode and then has trouble booting when I come back to the computer. I have programs I like to keep running while I'm not at my computer and need the system to stay up unless I specifically turn it off. Anyone have any ideas how I could do this?

A:Issues with Sleep/Hibernate.

Hi Vladikhi,

Welcome to Vista Forums.

In Step Two step 4 of this tutorial, did you set the Put the computer to sleep to Never.

If this fails to help, then this tutorial will show you how to completely disable all Sleep modes.

Removing the Sleep function in the Shutdown menu

Hope this helps you,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/148252-issues-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hey I'm having some real problems with my new laptop It seems every time I try to put it on Sleep mode Hibernate or even Shut Down that it takes forever then goes to a Blue Screen and restarts itself Now Sd/sleep/hibernate On Bsod recently it has been letting me put it in Sleep or Hibernate but only once per 'BSOD cycle' A blurry-texted BSOD will come up and say Bsod On Sd/sleep/hibernate something about Power State Failure and the BIOS and then it'll restart I did recently update my BIOS because HP sent out 'a Bsod On Sd/sleep/hibernate critcal BIOS update for all HP notebooks' but that only seems to have made the problem worse because before I very rarely got the BSOD But just last night I was only on my web-browser accidentally clicked a wrong link and I got Bsod On Sd/sleep/hibernate a blue screen So it seems it's not just at shut-down I tried to use the Windows Solution and applied their hotfix but it only seems to work some of the time What's going on here I checked the Problems folder and it seems I now have two different problems The info for shut-down problem Problem Event Name BlueScreenOS Version Locale ID BCCode fBCP BCP A BCP FDF BCP F B OS Version Service Pack Product The info for random BSOD during Net surfing Problem Event Name BlueScreenOS Version Locale ID BCCode eBCP C BCP CE BBCP A A CBCP OS Version Service Pack Product Server information dc a - - b - - b bComputer info Model HP Pavilion dv Processor AMD Turion X Mobile Technology GhzOS Windows Vista Home Premium -bitRAM MBHD GB

A:Bsod On Sd/sleep/hibernate

It sounds like it could be a bad or unverified driver. But just last night I was only on my web-browser, accidentally clicked a wrong link, and I got a blue screenWhat kind of 'wrong' link? (Some antivirus filters can also cause a blue screen)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/123810/bsod-on-sdsleephibernate/
Relevancy 55.47%

I have read many posts here regarding sleep vs hibernate and most detail these functions very well. However, one very simple item of interest, to me, I have not encountered is the power expenditure (or savings if you prefer) for sleep and for hibernate given in percentage.

A:Another Sleep/Hibernate Question

Hibernate uses zero power.

The amount of power sleep uses depends on what hardware you have, motherboard, amount of RAM, etc. For sleep, only enough power is used to keep the RAM alive to maintain the stored data for restart and a small amount to allow for restarting the system.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/352973-another-sleep-hibernate-question.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I have two new laptops (an HP and a Gateway) with Win 7 Pro on each, and set up
exactly the same. On the Gateway, the sleep and hibernate work fine.
On the HP, the sleep and hibernate are greyed out.

Using cmd: powercfg -a
The Gateway shows " the following sleep states are available ... Standby (S3),
Hibernate Hybrid Sleep"

The HP shows "sleep states not available..system firmware does not support
standby state" "legacy driver vgasave .. prevents this standby state"

How can I get my HP to support sleep/hibernate?

Henry.....

A:sleep/hibernate greyed out

Quote: Originally Posted by henrydumay

I have two new laptops (an HP and a Gateway) with Win 7 Pro on each, and set up
exactly the same. On the Gateway, the sleep and hibernate work fine.
On the HP, the sleep and hibernate are greyed out.

Using cmd: powercfg -a
The Gateway shows " the following sleep states are available ... Standby (S3),
Hibernate Hybrid Sleep"

The HP shows "sleep states not available..system firmware does not support
standby state" "legacy driver vgasave .. prevents this standby state"

How can I get my HP to support sleep/hibernate?

Henry.....

Henry hi and welcome.
Often with HP's the newest BIOS will fix that problem. Before you upgrade the BIOS be sure to make a backup and have a restore point just in case.

If the BIOS upgrade does not repair the problem video drivers can also prevent sleep/hibernate as I found out on my DV-7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/158268-sleep-hibernate-greyed-out.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Treated me great so far, few virsus, some heating issues, etc.
Issue: about a month ago I started to notice that when I shut my laptop, which is almost exclusively how I stop using my computer, it fails to sleep like it always did in the past. Now everytime I turn back on my laptop it takes me to the "unexpected shutdown" safemode type screen, I hit normal startup and it prompts me to check for solutions, which never bares fruit and luckily both Explorer and Word save recent work, otherwise I would have been writing this post a lot earlier.  Also fyi, my power option settings have remained the same throughout this problem and since I first tweeked them when I first bought this computer years ago.

Thank you in advance

A:Sleep/Hibernate Issues?!

What you could do is simulate closing the lid and see what happens. Laptops which offer the 'Hibernate on closing the lid' option have a switch which is operated by a protrusion in the lid entering a small hole in the base, usually mounted close to the line of the hinge. I would suggest activating this switch with a pencil tip or similar and watch the screen to see what it does.

I will admit that this is not an option I am fond of for two reasons. One is that I was taught to switch computers off, not put them to sleep; and second, my wife brought her ( then nearly brand new ) laptop home from work one day in a nearly melted condition - it hadn't gone into hibernate !

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/487862/sleephibernate-issues/
Relevancy 55.47%

Issue: Start Menu > press 'sleep' > computer goes to sleep. Press power > 'Windows Error Recovery' screen > Start Windows Normally > No applications were saved.
Power Options have not changed.
same issue for 'hibernate.'
Thank you for your help in advance!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/490922/sleephibernate-malfunctioning/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi all,
I'm having troubles with sleep and hibernation on my Dell Inspiron 3537. If I tell it to hibernate the computer shuts down remarkably quickly. Then when I go to resume from hibernation either it just hangs on a black screen until I force shut down, or it boots up freshly.
Looking in the event viewer I'm getting messages like:

Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000001.
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000113 (0x0000000000000017, 0xffffe0015bc7a010, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000). 

and

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Any ideas on how to tackle this one? It's fresh out of the factory last week so all the drivers should be up to date. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,Dave

A:Sleep/Hibernate Failing

Yes! I did get there in the end luckily. First I re-installed the AMD Radeon HD 8670M driver. That then resulted in Windows not loading any video drivers the next time I booted up, but I could suddenly hibernate and sleep freely. So I reinstalled the AMD driver again, and suddenly I couldn't hibernate/sleep. So then I installed the Intel HD Graphics 4400 Driver driver from the Dell support site. It warned me I was overwriting a newer driver but went ahead anyway.
Now Windows Update is nagging be about my outdated driver, but I'm not game enough to try to upgrade it until later. I can sleep and hibernate to my hearts content once more

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19591483
Relevancy 55.47%

as above computer has also been feeling sluggish despite low CPU hibernate! BSOD Sleep Can't + + Can't mem usage respectively no suspicious services running in the background BSOD usually occurs when i resume from sleep hibernation there are also selective flashing purple pixels usually found on very light grey background - problem seems to disappear after i switch from DVI to VGA cable - so BSOD + Can't Sleep + Can't hibernate! i assume this is a separate cable problem com went through complete defrag on o amp o still sluggish did complete AV scan using NOD v nothing found did memtest for BSOD + Can't Sleep + Can't hibernate! hours straight - Errors found did GPU stress test on my GT passed did scandsk and hdd check from manufacturer nothing found too system specs intel e kingston gb ddr ramXFX GT Gb x Gb Western Digital SATAII Enhance W PSUWHAT else can it be please help me thanks BSOD details as follows Problem signature Problem Event Name BlueScreen OS Version Locale ID Additional information about the problem BCCode BCP FFFFFA EEE E BCP FFFFF F C C BCP BCP OS Version Service Pack Product Files that help describe the problem ATTACHED IN THIS THREAD MINIDUMP ZIP C Windows Minidump - - dmp C Users test AppData Local Temp WER- - sysdata xmlRead our privacy statement online http go microsoft com fwlink linkid amp clcid x If the online privacy statement is not available please read our privacy statement offline C Windows system en-US erofflps txt

A:BSOD + Can't Sleep + Can't hibernate!

The first thing I notice is bluescreen when in Sleep, hibernate mode. Desktops IMO are not better hardware configured to these windows power saving feature compared to laptops/notebook/netbook. Yo do have a minimum PSU for your system specs. and it might also be a factor. But overall, I would not lean on desktops running on sleep or hibernate for any cause. Wait for other suggestions from the experts.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/440854/bsod-cant-sleep-cant-hibernate/
Relevancy 55.47%

I use Steam Big Picture Mode to control my PC's frequently. It has an option to put the computer to sleep but not to hibernate. I don't ever use regular sleep mode because my computers always end up waking themselves up and it drains my laptops battery. I've heard that it is possible to set a Windows 7 computer to automatically hibernate after being asleep for a certain amount of time, but I can't figure out how to do this. I tried setting "hibernate after" in my advanced power settings, but this just hibernated the computer after x minutes of inactivity instead of x minutes of sleep, which I do not want. Is there a way to get the computer to automatically hibernate after sleeping for a certain amount of time, or even better some way to eliminate sleep mode altogether and just use hibernate instead?

A:How to automatically hibernate after sleep?

a bat file perhaps ? :

@echo off
echo HIBERNATE
timeout /t 30 /nobreak
shutdown -h -f

(set the timeout to your desire)

or

create a task with the task scheduler utility?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/387513-how-automatically-hibernate-after-sleep.html
Relevancy 55.47%

My new Port?g? R835-P81 seems to get confused between sleep and hibernate. I have told it never to hibernate, only to sleep (after 15 minutes). (When it arrived, it was set to hibernate after 4 hours both plugged in and on battery.) However, sometimes it still seems to have been hibernating when I go to wake it up. When it wakes from sleep, I get the password screen (as though I had simply locked the screen) within 7 seconds. But when it wakes from hibernation (apparently), it says "Resuming Windows" before it gives me the password screen, and the whole process takes approximately half a minute.

Any ideas?

Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

A:sleep/hibernate confusion

Hmm, mine never did that.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/sleep-hibernate-confusion-622520.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I have my power options set as follows SLEEP --Sleep after -----On battery minutes -----Plugged in Never --Allow hybrid sleep -----On battery Never -----Plugged in Never --Hibernate after -----On battery minutes -----Plugged in minutes --Allow wake timers -----On Battery Disable -----Plugged in Disable POWER BUTTONS AND LID --Lid close action -----On battery Sleep -----Plugged in Do nothing --Power button action -----On battery Hibernate Sleep to Issue Hibernate -- -----Plugged in Hibernate --Sleep button action -----On battery Sleep -----Plugged in Sleep Here is the issue I am experiencing When running Windows I can close my laptop and it will sleep minutes later it will kick up and go into hibernation just like I want it to When running Windows Consumer Preview I can close my laptop and it will sleep minutes later it will kick up and try to Sleep to Hibernate -- Issue hibernate but will fail Thus it will idle for a few minutes and go back to sleep minutes later it will try to hibernate again get stuck in idle and go back to sleep This is killing my battery If I simply hit power button it will hibernate But I'm not sure why it's not going from sleep to hibernate properly

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/4630-sleep-hibernate-issue.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi guys I hope you can help me with a very annoying problem For some time I have gotten the BSOD every time my laptop is going to sleep or hibernate This happens if i close when BSOD going to sleep/hibernate the lip if it automatically goes to sleep because of inactivity or if i press sleep hibernate What happens is my computer begins to shutdown the screen turns black for a loong time and then i get the BSOD and it crashes I have today tried to update every driver program i could find on the computer and Windows with no luck I have disabled sleep mode i power management but this problem is still very annoying since i have to leave my laptop turned on overnight is I m working on something that cannot be saved The Perflog is unfortunately in Danish since my OS is in Danish BSOD when going to sleep/hibernate but i hope you are still able to make some sense of it Kind regards Jacob Some basic info System Manufacturer Model Number Lenovo Thinkpad T Type BSOD when going to sleep/hibernate - W OS Windows ultimate x SP build BSOD when going to sleep/hibernate DANISH EDITION I think its an original install and full retail the IT guys at work installed the dualboot for me Both hardware and OS is less than one year old CPU Intel Core i M Ghz Motherboard Intel PCH QM Memory Gb DDR - SDRAM Graphics Card NVIDIA NVS M Mb ram Sound Card Conexant Smartaudio HD Monitor Displays Thinkpad Display Screen Resolution x Hard Drive Seagate ST AS Gb RPM Dual boot win xp amp windows Two partitions with Gb each

A:BSOD when going to sleep/hibernate

Hello,

Your Intel WiFi Link drivers are what's causing your computer to crash. Almost every single BSOD was the same. Please download the latest version from here.

I'm pretty sure that updating the driver will fix your problem. There are some drivers that could use updating and it never hurts to do that.

Code:
dc3d.sys Wed May 20 22:58:41 2009 (4A14C361)
Filter Driver for Identification of Microsoft Hardware Wireless Mouse and Keyboard Device Models - Microsoft IntelliType Pro / IntelliPoint - here

Code:
DzHDD64.sys Tue Nov 10 08:47:48 2009 (4AF96F04)
Lenovo Doze Mode HDD control - here

Code:
e1k62x64.sys Thu Jul 22 13:39:07 2010 (4C48823B)
Intel 82577LM Gigabit NIC - here

Code:
nvlddmkm.sys Mon Jun 28 00:08:34 2010 (4C282042)
Nvidia video card drivers - here

Partial summary of dumps

Code:
Built by: 7601.17514.amd64fre.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850
Debug session time: Wed Mar 30 08:14:54.321 2011 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 4:38:17.803
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+4987d )
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x1E_c0000005
PROCESS_NAME: WinPhlash64.ex
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x1E_c0000005_nt!_??_::FNODOBFM::_string_+4987d
BaseBoardManufacturer = LENOVO
BaseBoardProduct = 4384W59
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Debug session time: Wed Mar 30 15:35:05.352 2011 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:13:21.835
Probably caused by : pci.sys
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x9F
PROCESS_NAME: System
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x9F_3_NETwNs64_IMAGE_pci.sys
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Debug session time: Tue Mar 22 13:48:49.123 2011 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 10:51:55.235
Debug session time: Tue Mar 22 02:52:12.737 2011 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 1 days 14:39:53.221
Debug session time: Sun Mar 20 11:11:10.691 2011 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 1 days 10:16:37.176
Debug session time: Fri Mar 18 13:13:59.459 2011 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:21:36.942
Debug session time: Thu Mar 17 13:21:57.191 2011 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 2 days 22:28:51.674
?????????... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/153979-bsod-when-going-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 55.47%

So I've had this laptop since May - direct from manufacturer refirb nbsp Since then use hibernate sleep not or mode. STILL able to HP has not been able to get the Sleep and Hibernate functions to work Currently the only power options currently enabled are Restart and Shut Down nbsp If you close the lid the screen goes black but the STILL not able to use sleep or hibernate mode. computer will not go to sleep When you reopen the lid the screen will remain black and no amount of key pressing OR tapping of power buttons will restore Windows You are only left with the option of a hard STILL not able to use sleep or hibernate mode. restart For this it doesn't matter if the sleep or hibernate functions are either enabled or disabled nbsp If you enable Sleep and or Hibernate and select the Sleep or Hibernate functions the computer's screen will go blank and the computer will remain on You can tap keys or run your finger over the touch pad and it will not wake up Again the only option is to do a hard restart nbsp I have a conference in a few days and I am presenting several times I would like to be able to close the lid and reopen it without having to do a hard restart - because otherwise I'm forced to shut down completely nbsp HP has updated all the software - or says they have - and did a bunch of BIOS stuff but I couldn't follow along nbsp I'm very frustrated and am in need of help

A:STILL not able to use sleep or hibernate mode.

Hi: Normally you get that effect when the chipset and/or graphics drivers are not installed. The only suggestions I can offer would be to try installing the latest chipset driver from Intel. You want the 2nd driver down on the left side of the page.  Install and restart the PC. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility-?pr... If that doesn't resolve the problem, try reinstalling the Intel graphics driver from your notebook's support page. This package provides the driver that enables the Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. If high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) video output is supported, this package also installs the HDMI Audio Driver. http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp74501-75000/sp74635.exe

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/STILL-not-able-to-use-sleep-or-hibernate-mode/td-p/5802965
Relevancy 55.47%

Hey guys, newbie here, but any help you might have would be awesome.

I've been having an issue with my PC for the last few weeks where it crashes on sleep or hibernate and when it returns, it says it's recovered from a BSOD. Pretty bizarre- I wasn't having this before, but after looking around seemingly a few others are having similar issues.

I've followed the BSOD instructions in my zip file- any chance anyone can help at all

Big Thanks!

- Windows 7 x64
- the original installed OS on the system? Yes- fresh install
- an OEM or full retail version? Retail version
- OEM = came pre-installed on system
- Full Retail = you purchased it from retailer

- What is the age of system (hardware)? Less than a year
- What is the age of OS installation (have you re-installed the OS?) Same as PC

Relevancy 55.47%

When I use the Sleep or Hibernate buttons it does a restart.

Anyone know why it does this..?

A:Sleep and Hibernate actions

My first guess would be you are running with a pre windows 7 driver on one of your devices.
The vista drivers just love to crash when sent power management commands.

We could probably sort it if you used driver verifier and generated some dump files (it's the easiest way for me to look over your drivers)
Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable
(Please read all instructions for driver verifier before using as it's possible it will make the machine behave badly and you need to know how to undo it.)

Oh and you may want to check these settings too.
To ensure minidumps are enabled:

Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
Under the Write Debugging Information header
Select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
OK your way out.
Reboot if changes have been made.

Just to make sure it all goes right.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/174637-sleep-hibernate-actions.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I've been experiencing failed sleep and hibernate on my laptop for months now and i dont really know what have been causing the problem sometimes my laptop sleeps successfully but most of the time it doesnt c so here's the error code of my most current try Problem signature Problem Event Name BlueScreen OS Version Locale ID Additional information about the problem BCCode f BCP BCP FFFFFA B BCP FFFFF D BCP FFFFFA B F OS Version Service Pack Product Files that help describe the problem C Windows Minidump - - dmp C Users Lauren AppData Local Temp WER- - sysdata xml Read our privacy statement online Windows Privacy Statement - Microsoft Windows If the online privacy statement is not available please read our privacy statement offline C Windows system en-US erofflps txt for the minidump file BSOD after sleep/hibernate here's the link for the zip file https dl dropbox com u Minidump zip Can anyone please suggest what I should do to fix this problem Many thanks in advance

A:BSOD after sleep/hibernate

Hey auwee welcome to Sevenforums . Take a look here Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions it will show you how to post a dmp file correctly .

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/279694-bsod-after-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 55.47%

My computer was on running normally when someone other than myself pressed 'standby or hibernate' in windows ultimate Now my computer wont turn on at all The reset and power switch on the PC sleep/hibernate in won't now. boot -- motherboard keep flashing I have turned the power off and on numerous times and get the same result I also unplugged the power supply from the PC in sleep/hibernate -- won't boot now. motherboard as well PC in sleep/hibernate -- won't boot now. as the main power cord I got the same result after plugging it back in EDIT My brother -- who knows his computers x better than me im a 'noob' -- has tried clearing the CMOS as well as physically removing the battery and putting it back in He said there's buttons Clear CMOS Power Reset He's tried em all Suggestions Here's are the PC specs OS Windows - -bit CPU core i MB ASRock P Deluxe Vid geforce gtx PCI RAM gb corsair xms i think HD gb seagate sata CDr samsung generic Bios is the latest version

A:PC in sleep/hibernate -- won't boot now.

Do you get and POST messages or beeps?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/60984-pc-sleep-hibernate-wont-boot-now.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi,

Since a while, I'm unable to sleep my computer. Instead of sleeping, the screen goes black with the computer apparently still working (I can lock and unlock my computer 'blindly', and hear the lock/unlock sounds). After a while though, the system will then crash with a BSOD: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Attached is the zip file with the dumps etc,

Note to admins:this tool does not actually put the zip file on the desktop (which is D:\Desktop in my case) but simply in C:\Users\[username]\Desktop. Could potentially be confusing...

A:BSOD instead of sleep/hibernate

Code:
* Bugcheck Analysis *

BugCheck 9F, {3, fffffa800432e050, fffff80000b9c3d8, fffffa800a0931d0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for KSPrt64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for KSPrt64.sys
Probably caused by : KSPrt64.sys

---------

0: kd> !analyze -v
* Bugcheck Analysis *

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)
A driver has failed to complete a power IRP within a specific time.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000003, A device object has been blocking an Irp for too long a time
Arg2: fffffa800432e050, Physical Device Object of the stack
Arg3: fffff80000b9c3d8, nt!TRIAGE_9F_POWER on Win7 and higher, otherwise the Functional Device Object of the stack
Arg4: fffffa800a0931d0, The blocked IRP

Debugging Details:
------------------
DRVPOWERSTATE_SUBCODE: 3

IMAGE_NAME: KSPrt64.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 4e56d23b

MODULE_NAME: KSPrt64

FAULTING_MODULE: fffff880010fc000 KSPrt64

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT

CURRENT_IRQL: 2

ANALYSIS_VERSION: 6.3.9600.17237 (debuggers(dbg).140716-0327) amd64fre

DPC_STACK_BASE: FFFFF80000BA2FB0

STACK_TEXT:
fffff800`00b9c388 fffff800`039018d2 : 00000000`0000009f 00000000`00000003 fffffa80`0432e050 fffff800`00b9c3d8 : nt!KeBugCheckEx
fffff800`00b9c390 fffff800`0389c85c : fffff800`00b9c4c0 fffff800`00b9c4c0 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000001 : nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+0x33af0
fffff800`00b9c430 fffff800`0389c6f6 : fffffa80`07ed0380 fffffa80`07ed0380 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KiProcessTimerDpcTable+0x6c
fffff800`00b9c4a0 fffff800`0389c5de : 0000000b`89824de9 fffff800`00b9cb18 00000000`0004d8c4 fffff800`03a10b08 : nt!KiProcessExpiredTimerList+0xc6
fffff800`00b9caf0 fffff800`0389c3c7 : 00000002`3f061dc2 00000002`0004d8c4 00000002`3f061dff 00000000`000000c4 : nt!KiTimerExpiration+0x1be
fffff800`00b9cb90 fffff800`038898ca : fffff800`03a0ce80 fffff800`03a1acc0 00000000`00000001 fffff880`00000000 : nt!KiRetireDpcList+0x277
fffff800`00b9cc40 00000000`00000000 : fffff800`00b9d000 fffff800`00b97000 fffff800`00b9cc00 00000000`00000000 : nt!KiIdleLoop+0x5a
STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x9F_3_POWER_DOWN_cdrom_IMAGE_KSPrt64.sys

BUCKET_ID: X64_0x9F_3_POWER_DOWN_cdrom_IMAGE_KSPrt64.sys

ANALYSIS_SOURCE: KM

FAILURE_ID_HASH_STRING: km:x64_0x9f_3_power_down_cdrom_image_ksprt64.sys

FAILURE_ID_HASH: {9256b14b-8e2e-0f96-dcd9-a08493409b2f}

---------

0: kd> !irp fffffa800a0931d0
Irp is active with 4 stacks 3 is current (= 0xfffffa800a093330)
No Mdl: No System Buffer: Thread 00000000: Irp stack trace.
cmd flg cl Device File Completion-Context
[ 0, 0] 0 0 00000000 00000000 00000000-00000000

Args: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
[ 0, 0] 0 0 00000000 00000000 00000000-00000000

Args: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
>[ 16, 2] 0 e1 fffffa8006064e10 00000000 00000000-00000000 pending
\Driver\cdrom
Args: 00015400 00000001 00000004 00000003
[ 0, 0] 0 0 00000000 00000000 00000000-fffffa8003f7e560

Args: 000... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/346824-bsod-instead-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Should I put my laptop to sleep, hibernate it or shut it down when I'm not using it? I changed the settings so my laptop goes into hibernation mode when I close the lid or press the power button. I'm curious what you all think.

A:Sleep, hibernate or shut down?

It depends entirely on how you use your computer/laptop and how long its going to be unused in my opinion ,I shutdown when I go to work ,I use sleep when I'm at home and used it every now and then ,shut it down most nights ,I never use hibernate .

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/59170-sleep-hibernate-shut-down.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Okay - I've tried to figure this out I've googled it extensively and I never seem to hit upon the right answer so this is my last ditch effort before I format the drive and start fresh My laptop is a hibernate/sleep Computer right won't new Dell Inspiron R running -bit Windows It's literally two months old In the last week it stopped Computer won't hibernate/sleep right hibernating properly I put it into hibernate at night probably two or three nights a week on average but it seems like it's stopped doing it right The white power light should turn amber but doesn't The fan Computer won't hibernate/sleep right continues to come on periodically There's power to my USB hub When I hit the power button trying to get it to come out of hibernation nothing happens and I wind up having to pull the power cord and rebooting it that way in order to get it to work If I try to get it to sleep it does the same thing I've changed settings to allow hybrid sleep I've checked the BIOS to make sure it's set to the defaults I looked at my list of startup programs to make sure that there isn't something that's supposed to be launching and isn't I've done a system restore back to a point where this wasn't an issue Nothing is working The only thing that is keeping me from formatting it is the fact that my Internet at home is acquired through a Verizon MiFi card and we only get GBs a month so it's a big pain having to take it somewhere to download all my various programs Any insight If you have any really technical suggestions could you please explain how to do them in easy ways Give me the parts and I can fix any hardware issues you have but I'm not a software person Please help me go from to

A:Computer won't hibernate/sleep right

Call this solved - after more time working on it and pondering it I'm 99% sure it's a physical issue with the power supply. It's getting shipped back to be repaired since it's still under warranty - if it weren't I'd have to scrap the whole thing. Just posting this in case anyone comes across this while researching a similar problem (there's nothing more frustrating than realizing someone had the same problem, but there's no solution).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/computer-wont-hibernate-sleep-right-646716.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi all, my PC seems to go very slow after hibernations. It does not occur after each hibernation, but during random ones. My CPU usage is at 10-70%. task manager seems to use up some I open it up. Is there a way to fix this without reformatting?
I am on Xp 64bit.

A:PC very slow after hibernate/sleep

Take a look at this article.

Is your PC running slow? . .

(Simply click the colored link to be re-directed)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/pc-very-slow-after-hibernate-sleep-271130.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Since upgrading my Brand New Dell Laptop to Windows 7 my laptop crashed because of itunes. After uninstalling itunes the computer stopped going into sleep, hibernate and even shutting down. When I try sleep or hibernate the screen goes blank but the power button on my Dell Inspiron remains fully lit. On sleep it pulsates and on hibernate it is extinguished. When I try to resume the system does nothing except chirp when i hit the spacebar, shift, or enter keys. When I try to shutdown my computer the screen simply says logging off indefinitely, I have even tried letting it "shut down" over night and nothing happened. I am getting really frustrated with microsoft because I know that Windows 7 is to blame for the problems that are occurring with my NEW computer that had no problems at all until the upgrade that was authorized by Dell after I met all system requirements.

Can anybody help me?????

A:Laptop will not Hibernate, Sleep,

I would start over and get a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 now that you're here at the site which specializes in that.

An Upgrade install is an inferior install, as is any factory preinstalled OS. It's the difference between having the worst possible install of Win7 you can have, or the best one. Your choice.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/295190-laptop-will-not-hibernate-sleep.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Ok just updated from win7 to win10.

When I come out of hibernate by clicking the pwr button on my Asus it is like starting from shut down where I have to log back in and start form scratch. The same with sleep. Does anyone know how to get this to work.....thanks

A:Hibernate and Sleep not working

I think I found the problem. I had to change pwr management setting so that password was not required after wake up. It seems to be working as it should ......sorry about that.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-10-a/129668-hibernate-sleep-not-working.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hey,
I've got a new ASUS gaming laptop with W7 64-bit OEM and I've been getting a few BSOD errors while bringing my laptop out of sleep/hibernate. Its not always but its often enough to be a nuisance. My drivers are all up to date so I'm really confused as to what can be causing this, any help would be appreciated, I've attached the dump and system health files below
Thanks

A:BSOD on sleep or hibernate

Quote: Originally Posted by RoboAwesome

Hey,
I've got a new ASUS gaming laptop with W7 64-bit OEM and I've been getting a few BSOD errors while bringing my laptop out of sleep/hibernate. Its not always but its often enough to be a nuisance. My drivers are all up to date so I'm really confused as to what can be causing this, any help would be appreciated, I've attached the dump and system health files below
Thanks

Related to iastor.sys. Re-install newest version available then update to SP-1

How To Find Drivers:

Quote:
- search Google for the name of the driver
- compare the Google results with what's installed on your system to figure out which device/program it belongs to
- visit the web site of the manufacturer of the hardware/program to get the latest drivers (DON'T use Windows Update or the Update driver function of Device Manager).
- if there are difficulties in locating them, post back with questions and someone will try and help you locate the appropriate program.

- - The most common drivers are listed on this page: Driver Reference Driver Reference
- - Driver manufacturer links are on this page: Drivers and Downloads

Please run the update readiness tool and then update to SP-1
Ensure you install the correct 64 or 32 bit option for your system)
Download the System Update Readiness Tool (64bit)
Download the System Update Readiness Tool (32bit)
Learn how to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/205917-bsod-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I got a new laptop from HP running on vista home premium. i had an hp before and i know how to use them. but right now, when i have it go to sleep or hibernate, when it wakes up, it goes to a black screen for the longest time. i stayed here for 5 min and it didnt load. but after a shower it loaded. ive been trying to look for tweaks and seeing if i did anything to contribute to it but as of now, i cannot find out why it is doing this. HELP! it does go to sleep and hibernate just fine. but just waking up sucks.

A:HELP! Sleep/Hibernate Problems

I just put it to sleep, and then tried to wake it up. it went to the black screen again so i just waited after a gruesome about...10 min? it restarts. WHAA!!!...I think im going to try hibernating and waking up...please reply!!! or at least tell me if you are having the same problem!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/help-sleep-hibernate-problems-217150.html