Windows Support Forum

multiple computers on home network one cannot connect

Q: multiple computers on home network one cannot connect

i have a time warner modem with a linksys router attached to it associated with this network are computers one running one on computers connect cannot home network multiple vista and the other ubuntu with a vista partition both have wireless connections the ubuntu machine connects to the internet through a firefox browser with no problems the vista partition on the ubuntu machine also works the vista machine which is at vista update KB cannot get out to the internet through either a firefox multiple computers on home network one cannot connect or internet explorer browser However i can successfully ping internet locations using absolute addresses and i've gotten a yahoo response through a host tx with the help of a friend it appears that the internet is accessible on the vista machine and some unknown function stops normal eg browser initiated usage i've done and tried several things like uninstalling Norten unplugging routers modems etc without success i've scanned Firefox and the I E with AVG and anti-malware and did not find any problems do you have any suggestions on how to debug and solve this problem

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: multiple computers on home network one cannot connect

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: multiple computers on home network one cannot connect

Try this:

Power off the modem

Power off the router

Plug computer directly into Modem power up Modem

Power Up Vista Machine

See if Vista Machine can connect.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/356741/multiple-computers-on-home-network-one-cannot-connect/
Relevancy 84.28%

I have a belkin home network and all the computers in my house can connect except mine, so it isn't a network issue. When I log onto my laptop, it says no networks are available so I can't even attempt to connect. Can someone please help me and tell me what to do? Thanks.

A:I can't connect to my home network while other computers can

Do you have the correct wireless drivers for your laptop?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-cant-connect-to-my-home-network-while-other-computers-can.171834/
Relevancy 83.42%

I recently purchased a new Thinkpad laptop. It failed to connect to my Belkin wireless router (limited or no connectivity message) even after I typed in the correct network key. When I turned off WEP protein through my old Dell, the new one can be connected. I then re-enact the protection through the new one using the same key. Now it can be connected under the encryption but the old one is left out. Any suggestions? Thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-to-connect-multiple-computers-to-wireless-network-under-wep-encryption.81865/
Relevancy 83.42%

Hi I have set up a wireless network in my home using s d-link N+ 300 DIR-655 and the desktop that is directly connected to the modem and router can connect to the internet and my laptop can access the wireless network and get online but I have another desktop that cannot connect to the wireless network. It can see it but when i try and connect i get the message that it was unable to connect or sometimes that i was able to connect but have limited connectivity. Im not really computer savvy but i follow directions well so any help would be greatly appreciated. This has been driving me crazy and i have done everything i know how to correct it and I am sure that i have the correct WPA password in there so that is not the problem.

Relevancy 82.13%

Can someone tell me the exact steps to take to make a network connection between my new and old computers. Both are windows XP. I keep getting an Error # 777 .

I was given a cable with the same type connectors that plug into the internet receptor. What type connector is this called?

Thanks very much for for any help on this.

Relevancy 77.4%

Hi As with everyone s questions here I m hoping someone can help I have searched through the archives and found what I thought were solutions but nothing is yet working Problem I have several computers in my home and home network multiple Cannot machines connect Solved: windows to several mobile devices Until yesterday all were working well when connected to my wireless These are mixed platforms Windows Windows Mac OS X Yosemite an couple of android devices an iPhone Kindle and HP printer Yesterday our windows boxes failed to connect to the internet The Mac connected intermittently and one of the android devices seemed to be continuously connected Resetting the router did not fix the problem I called Comcast today and after troubleshooting and apparently fixing the problem for all of the time it took to hang up the phone the connection failed again This time however - the Mac iPhone android devices everything except the Windows machines are connecting Both the and Solved: Cannot connect multiple windows machines to home network the boxes are affected The box will keep its connection a bit longer than the but both are intermittent in getting and keeping a connection to the outside world I m stumped You can see what I ve tried Solved: Cannot connect multiple windows machines to home network below and still no consistent internet on the Windows boxes What have I not tried and is there an obvious solution I overlooked here Thanks What I ve tried on the box not necessarily in this order Ping the gateway router address - this works Ping - this works intermittently but not often Browse to the gateway s admin interface cannot connect to the web service even through I can ping Checked to make sure DHCP enabled and both machines have distinct IP addresses they do Checked to see that DCHP and DNS services were running on the box in service msc reboot and reset the modem Arris Surfboard SGB -AC remove the network drivers for wired and wireless adapters Realtek PCIe GBE Family controller Realtek AE Wireless LAN ac PCI-E NIC Update the network drivers Checked to see that no firewall was stopping the connection Paused antivirus protection to check if that was getting in the way Rebooted the Windows box after key changes and multiple times Connected a second wireless device USB device known to be working to see if the on-board one was the problem release renew flushdns reset winsock entries success reset tcp ip stack using netsh int ip reset reset log hit apparently failed with the following Resetting failed Access is denied There s no user specified settings to be reset ran sfc scannow Results C Windows Logs CBS gt sfc scannow Beginning system scan This process will take some time Beginning verification phase of system scan Verification complete Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them Details are included in the CBS Log windir Logs CBS CBS log For example C Windows Logs CBS CBS log Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios Just starting to look through this now TSG SysInfo Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows bit Processor Intel R Core TM i - CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX - Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC G AJ Antivirus McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Updated and Enabled nbsp

A:Solved: Cannot connect multiple windows machines to home network

Let's focus on one system, preferably the Windows 8.1 system for which you gave the TSGinfo. For both a good connection and for the problem situation ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following commands:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

ping <the router> [you apparently know how to do this]

ping 8.8.4.4

ping yahoo.com

[Press ENTER after each command.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cannot-connect-multiple-windows-machines-to-home-network.1150247/
Relevancy 68.37%

I have a desktop pc a personal laptop work laptop and a ps on the network Now only my desktop pc is able to connect to the network Cable modem is connected to a switch I also have had a dlink wireless router connected to the switch removed now for troubleshooting - so all are wired connections The desktop pc is working fine - but not the other laptops connected to the same switch Not really sure where the problem is The switch seems to be working fine since the desktop is connected to the same switch as well I tried another switch as well Also tried different ports on the switch and different cables Its not just vista or xp specific since i have one of each not working I appreciate any help Thanks Working desktop XP Sp Description Realtek RTL C P C P Physical Address xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Non-Working laptop vista Description Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet Physical Address xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway lt blank gt Non-Working laptop XP sp Description Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Physical Address xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway lt blank gt DHCP Server multiple computers Solved: Cannot connect nbsp

A:Solved: Cannot connect multiple computers

You only get a single public IP address from a modem, and your XP system has that one. You need a broadband router to connect multiple computers to your ISP connection.

The following procedure should get you a connection with any broadband modem that is configured to use DHCP for the router connection, such as cable modems, and many DSL modems. If you require PPPoE configuration for the DSL modem, that will have to be configured to match the ISP requirements.

Note that the wireless encryption and channel selection will have to be done after the basic wired connection is established, the first step is to get wired connections working.

Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.
Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

NOTE: For the items below in red surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous command output!

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cannot-connect-multiple-computers.923444/
Relevancy 67.94%

I did not set up my pc's to share over my home wireless network, but suddenly today I see that all drives and the printer are available between each computer. I had tried to set up the computers to share months ago, but never got it to work and gave up.

The desktop is old, running WinME, one laptop is running WinXPpro, the other laptop is running Vista. They are all connected to a Westell router/dsl modem for internet through Verizon.

So, I turn the desktop off daily. Today I go to turn it off and it says the WinXP laptop is connected and do I really want to shut down. I go to windows explorer on both machines and sure enough I have access to the other drives on each computer. I start the Vista machine and see the same.

Am I compromised?

A:MY home computers suddenly sharing over home wireless network

If you didn't make the change to share all drives, then somebody did. I would assume the worst. Time to reformat and reinstall.

Windows ME is past end of life, and no security updates are provided by MS. I wouldn't run it anymore. Maybe you'd want to try out some linux distros, some are quite good on old hardware. See this review:
http://www.linux.com/feature/52134

It seems you don't have a separate router, I would advise you to get one. I have a modem/router too but I also have a separate hardware firewall/router. The modem/router does NAT but I constantly see connections/attacks making it past the modem/router to my firewall. Having a separate router is a good thing.

Since you are using wireless, did you enable the encryption? If you have WPA or WPA2 use them and setup a long and complicated passphrase. Use WEP if you have no other choice cause WEP can be broken into real quick. You must enable encryption because with wireless, all your machines are sitting ducks when you have close range attackers, whereas with wired, at least you still have a perimeter which you can fortify with a firewall. Also it is especially important to have software firewalls on Each PC when using wireless.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-home-computers-suddenly-sharing-over-home-wireless-network.688238/
Relevancy 67.94%

Is there a way to connect a Canon MP530 PIXMA Printer to multiple computers without using a print server?????

One Printer to Three Computers Hooked -up to a router

Relevancy 66.65%

Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network screen I have a home network with laptops and desktop The desktop I use as a quot file server quot in that all work done on the laptops is stored to the to Explorer Unable network computers Windows in see scree home Network desktop The desktop computer name is HAL One laptop is fine and sees the network The other just stopped seeing it rebooted the laptop rebooted HAL did a number of refreshes without any luck I opened EXCEL and found a worksheet that was listed that I knew was saved Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree on HAL Was able to open the file and when I tried the SAVE AS I could navigate through all of HAL just as normal Went to Windows Explorer and still no HAL listed as a COMPUTER on the NETWORK I have a internet connection so I know I am making it to the router at least And when I check NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER it shows an active home network Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree The laptop is running Windows Home Premium Service Pack Build Thanks in advance for any help George

A:Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree

Still working on the problem. Tried to do a system restore back to the point where everything was working. Still no HAL showing as a network computer; Excel now does not recognize the path that worked yesterday. But now I am able to create a shortcut that will take me to HAL on the network. Guess this is a good enough fix for right now. When I go to Windows Explorer, Network it still only shows the 2 laptops and not HAL......WHY????

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/229783-unable-see-home-network-computers-windows-explorer-network-scree.html
Relevancy 65.79%

new laptop running windows 7 home premium. brought to work, plugged into work network cable, networked with all other computers ie servers, xp, printer, worked all day.
came back the next day plugged in network cable, called it "unidentified network" could not connect to the internet or any other computers.
system settings are workgroup- i have changed the name and rechanged the name.
switched off ipv6
network sharing is on
I have tried every possible suggestion but cannot get it to work.
When i connect through wireless to work, i am also limited to only being able to see only vista and no xp machines, printers or servers.
does anyone know what is going on? 

A:cannot connect to workgroup computers using windows 7 home

Hi,
You may kindly refer to the following steps:
1. Update your network adapter’s driver to latest version.
2. Change your network adapter’s MAC address to have a try.
3. Check whether the wired cable is too long.
4. Uninstall the adapter, then try to reinstall it.
Also, as chicagotech says, please post the result of ipconfig /all.Please remember to click ?Mark as Answer? on the post that helps you, and to click ?Unmark as Answer? if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ec8dd7cf-4b4a-43f6-b86a-0f402a0d511f/cannot-connect-to-workgroup-computers-using-windows-7-home?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi all,

I have a strange problem.
All three of my computers at home (all on windows 7 ultimate 64bit) are connecting to the same router with same SSID, but they end up having duplicate names such as NetworkName 1, NetworkName 2, NetworkName 3. This is preventing me from having them share via homegroup.
I made sure the computer names are all different and all connect to same workgroup name.
Is this a router setting problem? i'm using a cisco-linksys wrt-160n flashed with DD-WRT. i was checking the settings and ran across a new term, vlan. could it be they are all connected to separate virtual networks? i tried to disable vlan, however, that just disconnected all the computers to the internet.

Please help me setup my home network!

Dary

A:Computers at home connect to same router but with different names?

You will only get a V-Lan if you setup a Vlan and you have to do it manually because you have to manually put in IP's... it is not turned on by Default using the DDWRT.

Can you take a screen shot of what you are talking about when you say NetworkName 1.. where is that showing up?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/157244-computers-home-connect-same-router-but-different-names.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi We have a network of WiFi access points and a lot of them are on Channel we are located in Europe so these channels are allowed to use nbsp Recently we started getting complaints from different users that they are not able to Can't after to affected) windows connect channel different update on WiFi computers (multiple 13 connect to our access points The users use Can't connect to WiFi on channel 13 after windows update (multiple different computers affected) different brand computers HP Asus and different brand of WiFi adapters realtek atheros and are using either Windows or Can't connect to WiFi on channel 13 after windows update (multiple different computers affected) Windows The only thing in common is that they recently installed Microsoft Windows updates nbsp The SSID is public not hidden they Can't connect to WiFi on channel 13 after windows update (multiple different computers affected) all were able to connect to the SSID before the updates Currently they can't even see the SSID in the network list If we install some rd party tool to scan the networks on the computer - it does see the ssid If we boot up from a livecd - it also does see the network If we put the WiFi on channel or some other lower channel - they are able to see the network but not on channel - So this is definitely something related to windows update Are there any known issues with this How can this be fixed Any workarounds available nbsp Unfortunately these notebooks belong to our clients and we can't replicate the issue on a few of our own notebooks we tried I would try to deinstall each update until i find out which one makes the wifi broken but still waiting for a customer to sacrifice his notebook to me for a day or two to find this out P S Changing the wifi channel to something other than is not a solution as it does not fix the underlying problem in windows I asked the same question on nbsp http answers microsoft com en-us windows forum windows -hardware cant-connect-to-wifi-on-channel- -after-windows adc -e e- - c -e e f b e but i've been forwarded here

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d3c9ca96-92fd-452d-b64d-55e9bb619fd4/cant-connect-to-wifi-on-channel-13-after-windows-update-multiple-different-computers-affected?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 65.36%

Hey First of all I wasn't sure whether to post this in the drive or network board so I hope it's okay here Please feel free to move it if it's better off elsewhere I have three computers all running Windows Home Premium that I would like to back up I have an external hard drive connected to one of the computers that I would like the backed up files to go to Firstly how do I connect these three computers to the same network possible via the WiFi I assume and have them back up their files up network over multiple Backing computers to the external drive Secondly I don't want each computer to be able to view Backing up multiple computers over network one another's files They need to connect to the same network without sharing data between them Is this possible Thirdly what backup program do you recommend using for the above task I would like the backups to be automated incremental and encrypted If an inbuilt Windows utility isn't suitable then I'm open to paying for a program but only a one-off fee i e not annual payments Thank you very much for your help in advance

A:Backing up multiple computers over network

Quote: Originally Posted by YouAndI

Hey,

First of all, I wasn't sure whether to post this in the drive or network board, so I hope it's okay here. Please feel free to move it if it's better off elsewhere!

I have three computers, all running Windows 7 Home Premium, that I would like to back up.

I have an external hard drive connected to one of the computers that I would like the backed up files to go to.

Firstly, how do I connect these three computers to the same network (possible via the WiFi, I assume) and have them back up their files to the external drive?

Secondly, I don't want each computer to be able to view one another's files. They need to connect to the same network without sharing data between them. Is this possible?

Thirdly, what backup program do you recommend using for the above task? I would like the backups to be automated, incremental and encrypted. If an inbuilt Windows utility isn't suitable then I'm open to paying for a program, but only a one-off fee (i.e. not annual payments).

Thank you very much for your help in advance!

The external drive will need to be located on the same local machine that you are backing up as you can't really back up or recover from a drive that is located on another machine. Each machine will also require it's own partition on this drive in order to save it's system image back up file.

Answer to Firstly, seriously this question is redundant because if they are all connected to the same router then they are also on the same network using the same default gateway etc. they will be on the same network.

Secondly, simply turn off Network Discovery and File and Printer sharing on each machine via the Advanced Sharing settings via the Network and Sharing Center. This will prevent any sharing between those machines.

Thirdly, I like using the built in Windows back up but there are many others such as the free version of Macrium Reflect etc. too many to name here take your pick do a search.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/335944-backing-up-multiple-computers-over-network.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hey!

So I bought a D-Link DIR-615.

All other computers work fine on the router.

Wireless doesn't work on my laptop - if I plug it in it works.
I can see and connect to the wireless account - however, once connected to the Internet, Internet doesn't actually work??

All other computers / wireless devices work on this network, and my laptop works on any other wireless network.

I've checked firewall settings, that isn't the problem ...
The fact that the laptop works on other networks leads me to think it isn't a program stopping it from working properly, or it would act up on all networks, right?

Can't figure out why

Thank you!!!

A:1 of 3 computers cannot connect to home wireless (but works on other networks)

Get an ipconfig and post it in the networking forum.
State your hardware and OS as well.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/1-of-3-computers-cannot-connect-to-home-wireless-but-works-on-other-networks.1046350/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hey!

So I bought a D-Link DIR-615.

All other computers work fine on the router.

Wireless doesn't work on my laptop - if I plug it in it works.
I can see and connect to the wireless account - however, once connected to the Internet, Internet doesn't actually work??

All other computers / wireless devices work on this network, and my laptop works on any other wireless network.

I've checked firewall settings, that isn't the problem ...
The fact that the laptop works on other networks leads me to think it isn't a program stopping it from working properly, or it would act up on all networks, right?

Can't figure out why

I attached an ipconfig

I'm running on Win7

I also attached a picture of my network hardware
(I think my wireless card is the Intel N - 1030)
Thank you!!!

A:1 of 3 computers cannot connect to home wireless (but works on other networks)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/1-of-3-computers-cannot-connect-to-home-wireless-but-works-on-other-networks.1046370/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hello all -- I have worked Windows multiple Network a 7 between computers up Setting as a designer on PC and MAC for years but have never had to do the following task and have not found good source info through Google searches I will have a Setting up a Windows 7 Network between multiple computers quot Master quot laptop in one main room in which I will collect presentations for speakers who will be presenting these PPT Video files in other meeting Setting up a Windows 7 Network between multiple computers rooms The Master computer will be setup with folders on the desktop that are named to reflect the remote meeting room names Each Presentation room will have laptops Main and backup the presenter in that room needs to be able to access the files that reside on the Master computer How do I set up the Network parameters of all the computers How do I create folders to share files across the network I hope this is clear -- I have watched this done before Setting up a Windows 7 Network between multiple computers but have never had to set it up start-to-finish myself Thanks for any help you can lend to me

A:Setting up a Windows 7 Network between multiple computers

Welcome to Seven Forums,

What is the Operating System of the Master PC where you will be storing files and act as a file server? Are the other PCs mixed of Windows O/Ses?

Are you trying to setup and network both wired and wireless computers and other devices (if available)?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/301188-setting-up-windows-7-network-between-multiple-computers.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I am trying to connect two computers to each other that both use windows 7. I'm wondering about when it asks me for a username and password, and because there is no password, we put ion the username and left password blank. Then it brought us to another window that asked for a username and password, and we could not go any further. How do I get them connected? and is it safe to set the password protected file sharing to 'off' or do I run the risk of someone hacking into my network? Thank you.

A:Cannot connect two computers to network

Quote:
I am trying to connect two computers to each other that both use windows 7

But your Subject says you want to connect to a network.

If wanting to connect the 2 computers only to each other you could try an Ethernet Cross-over cable or maybe a LapLink USB cable.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/367325-cannot-connect-two-computers-network.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi There I have a Belkin router in my home which two PCs wirelessly connect to with no problems I also connect my laptop to the wireless network when I bring it back from university However this time when I try to connect a problem occurs I go to look at the list of wireless networks connect to my one and a message appears telling me I m connected But then when I try to access the internet nothing happens ie an quot unable to connect quot screen appears Troubleshooting steps I ve taken so far Reset the router and turned off all security Again the laptop said it was connected then my browser failed to connect one can't! network... can to connect my Two computers to the internet Turned off my laptop firewall Tried different browsers on my laptop Typed to access the router itself but it fails to bring up the router menu when I do this on the PCs I can bring up a router menu Tried attaching the laptop to the router Two computers can connect to my network... one can't! with a network cable Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated Ben nbsp

Relevancy 64.93%

Hi,
I have two computers in my home. A laptop and a desktop. Both are connected to my wireless router wirelessly. Laptop has Windows Vista and desktop has Windows 7. I tried to connect the computers wirelessy for file-sharing. But i failed. someone help me. Note: While im in my desktop (windows 7), the other computer (windows vista) is listed in the network. But when i double-click to access it, it prompts a window saying "Windows cannot access \\computer2 check spelling of the name blah blah blah".

Relevancy 64.93%

I am not sure if this should be posted in this forum or not but it is essentially a windows problem I recently had a run-in with a virus malware that was running ping exe in my background constantly I had tried several programs PC-Cillin Malwarebytes which never found the problem I had found a Can't to on connect / network computers the see other forum post somewhere else that recommended ComboFix as the solution Stupid me I just downloaded it and ran it without reading any of the disclaimers instructions On a positive note all of my virus malware related problems are solved However now I can no longer see any of the other computers on Can't see / connect to other computers on the network my network I have verified that both my NIC and wireless card drivers are both up to date I have Can't see / connect to other computers on the network also changed my workgroup to match up to the balance of the computers on my network even though I never had to do that previously I have tried quot repairing quot my network connection and get the following Can't see / connect to other computers on the network error when doing so quot Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed Clearing NetBT For assistance contact the person who manages your network quot I am running Windows XP Pro SP Thanks Ryan

A:Can't see / connect to other computers on the network

Worth a look, http://xphunt3r.blogspot.com/2008/11/error-clear-netbt-solved.html .

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/432420/cant-see-connect-to-other-computers-on-the-network/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hello I am clueless so please bear with connect computers I 2 need to one DSL?Network?? to do What me I have desktop computers An old Compaq that I have upgraded hard drive cd burner win XP etc but it has no ethernet card I have a D Link DFE- TX pci adapter and a Linksys Wireless-G pci adapter wmp not installed just What do I need to connect 2 computers to one DSL?Network?? bought them cheap I want to move the old computer upstairs and use both computers from the same DSL connection New computer is Emachines don t laugh-I m poor windows XP ethernet port on front westell modem via Bellsouth DSL and Vonage Motorola router My question is should I put the pci adapter in the old machine and use a wireless router to connect the What do I need to connect 2 computers to one DSL?Network?? machines Or what should I do I am pretty secure working inside the machines but I am clueless as to what I need to put in them to get them to share the DSL What do I need to connect 2 computers to one DSL?Network?? I would greatly appreciate details and instructions for dummies Thanks in advance Homescool nbsp

Relevancy 64.93%

So I ll try to describe my problem as best as I can I just installed a new computer on my network and it joined the network great and I can access all computers on the network and vice versa except for one When I view the workgroup computers and click on this particular computer I ll call it Comp it asks for a username and password So I go over to comp and try to access the new computer and it asks for the same username and password However from Comp I can access the other computers on the network just fine and vice versa For some On Network Connect Won't Need Help, Two Computers reason that is beyond my understanding of networking these two computers require this username and password for access So in summary these two computers can access every computer on the network and vice versa except each other Any ideas are greatly appreciated Both of these Computers are Windows Professional and password protection is turned off on all computers Thanks Nate nbsp

A:Need Help, Two Computers Won't Connect On Network

Anyone with ideas????
Thanks,
Nate

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-two-computers-wont-connect-on-network.1098820/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi, I'm trying to connect a
PC with Windows 7 Professional
with another with Windows 7 Home Premium
using an Ethernet cable.
PC - 1

IP Address - 192.168.0.1 Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
PC - 2

IP Address - 192.168.0.2 Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
Restart, but nothing happens, no connection between them. Anyone can help me?
Thanks!

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/27921010-4f04-44f0-91f1-f1513f9eab45/cannot-connect-two-different-windows-7-home-amp-pro-computers-using-a-crossover-ethernet-cable?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 64.5%

I'm trying to use a printer on one computer USB connection on another This was working just fine until last week when suddenly it stopped The two computers are part of the same powerline network Internet access is through a cable modem router on a third powerline adapter They used to be able to see each other -- I added the printer as a network printer by using the quot Browse quot option I'm not using Homegroups but instead just had it as password authentication For whatever reason the computer with the printer now just doesn't show up to the other two home on to network get other computers Cannot see each one and vice versa I've checked that network discovery is on that the LLT protocols are on and they are They were before nothing has changed Strangely when I have windows generate a quot Full Network Map quot for each computer they are different Cannot get two computers to see each other on home network One PC shows Computer gt Gateway gt Internet and the other shows Computer gt Switch gt Dlink router gt Internet Even more weird is that I don't own any Dlink hardware but it could just be seeing a manufacter's part inside another branded device Does anyone have any suggestions Where can I start to even troubleshoot this Thank you in advance for any help you can offer

A:Cannot get two computers to see each other on home network

Did something you know of actually change a week ago, when your home network's configuration apparently changed? Did you replace any hardware? Visits from cable company? Anything?

Can you please do IPCONFIG in a command-prompt on both machines. Please state what each machine shows in its "local area connection" info. I'm looking for IP address details on its IPv4 address, default gateway, DNS router.

Also, you've provided no info in your specs, and you have two machines to describe. So please provide specifics for each machine:

wired vs wireless connection from PC to router? Please list all devices involved, and if wired what they connect from/to.

brand/model of router? brand/model of your powerline adapters. Do you have an actual true "switch" (which is actually a device type), or only a primary router/modem, or what else is involved in your home network. Can you verbally describe your assumed connection path from each computer to the primary router (and then to the modem, unless you have an all-in-one box from your ISP that is both modem as well as router).

are both machines in the same "workgroup"? Right-click on COMPUTER, select Properties, and look down in the "computer name, domain, and workgroup settings" section. What is the "workgroup"?

what are the "attached devices" (presumably and hopefully showing both of your PCs) shown in your router's GUI? Screenshot from a browser window where you've connected to the router (e.g. 192.168.1.1, or whatever the "default gateway" address as shown by IPCONFIG).

A printer USB-connected and hosted by one machine on the network can be shared with other PC's on the network as long as it is set as "shared" in Printer Properties -> Sharing tab, from Start -> Devices and Printers. If that part looks good from the hosting machine, then it's obviously an issue with the two computers not being able to see each other on the network.

We'll get to the bottom of it, but the above info is needed first to get a clear picture of your home setup.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/355402-cannot-get-two-computers-see-each-other-home-network.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I have a -computers home network desktops and laptop They all run XP except one with Vista In computers cannot some home on see I network addition there are printers attached locally to desktops through USB One connected thru ethernet the other four use wireless The diagram is as follows I cannot see some computers on home network they all have same workgroup Computer Desktop Vista ethernet Computer Desktop XP Wireless Brother Printer Canon Printer Computer Desktop XP Wireless Computer Desktop XP Wireless Canon PRinter Computer Laptop MacBook Pro OS X XP emulation thru VMWare Wireless There are perplexing problems that keep nagging me for several years now First I cannot see some desktops from others For example all the computers cannot see Computer Second Computer in OS X cannot connect to the printers on Computer The VMWare however successfully connects to those printers so I do have access thru Windows applications only It would be nice to connect for the Mac applications also I suspect some network configurations were not set up properly on these computers Does anyone have any suggestion or a checklist for me to check Thank you in advance Huan nbsp

A:I cannot see some computers on home network

can u check the ipconfig if they are on the same network then ping each pc

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-cannot-see-some-computers-on-home-network.802656/
Relevancy 64.5%

I just installed a fresh installation of Enterprisex a couple days ago As I've been building up the system I mapped a drive to another computer on my network and on home Can't see network computers name) (by continued to setup the new Can't see computers (by name) on home network PC Last night after installing a couple different DVD Burning programs Roxio Can't see computers (by name) on home network amp Nero I rebooted a couple times and noticed that my Security Center was turned off I went into the services turned it to Automatic and restarted the service Then I continued my work on building my system and realized I couldn't Can't see computers (by name) on home network connect to my mapped drive only to realize I could no longer see other computers on my network via Network Neighborhood or by computername My other computers on the network can see each other just not this new box Oddly I can still talk to the new computers though I can ping their IP addresses or open the computer ipaddress Of course this is not the preferred way especially on a DHCP network Extra info Server-less environment Exterprisex has Windows Firewall running on it Exterprisex has Symantec Corporate Edition AV Other computers can still see themselves just fine just not Exterprisex All are connected to a Linksys Router Network Discovery is turned on Can see access Internet without a problemI guess what I don't understand is why did it happen all of a sudden Any suggestions on how I can turn that back on

A:Can't see computers (by name) on home network

Originally Posted by Morph

and noticed that my Security Center was turned off. I went into the services, turned it to Automatic and restarted the service.

Is your firewall configured for the network ?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/153846-cant-see-computers-name-home-network.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I'm building a new computer and (when it's finished) I'd like to network it with my old one. The old one has an ethernet card and the new one will have an Abit AV8 mobo which has "LAN Gigabit" on it. I have a DSL connection. The two will be near each other in the same room. From what I've been able to learn so far, I'll need a hub to connect them, but other than that I'm in the dark as to what I'll need. Advice would be appreciated.

Relevancy 64.5%

2 computers connected via router that is connected to cable modem. Both Computer 1 & 2 can connect to Internet just fine. Both computers have the same work group name and unique computer names and user accounts are set as administrative. All was working just fine until a day or so ago. Don't know of anything that changed in particular...computer 2 is kids computer, so who knows exactly??!!!??? Have rerun network wizard to no avail. Also, computer 1 can ping 2, but computer 2 times out when pinging computer 1. Followed the steps listed for same problem listed in the forum, but no luck. Any ideas on what to try next?

Relevancy 64.07%

This problem occurs on four different systems on the home network If I search for something on google and click on any of the links provided almost without fail on URL same virus, multiple network computers Google redirect I am redirected to some dodgy site If I close the tab and use the same link again I am directed to the correct intended site I have used my previous laptop on a different wireless connection and this redirect problem does not occur I have also recently purchased a brand new laptop and this problem has ooccured when connected to the home network haven t tested it elsewhere I suspect the source may Google URL redirect virus, multiple computers on same network be a desktop that has been infected in the past using MBAM SAS and DrWeb in safe mode I was able to remove alot of malware but w this problem persisting something probaly remains Any help on this issue would be very much appreciated thanks PS please let me know if it is best to use the newer Win bit laptop or the previously infected WinXP bit desktop to diagnose authorised to use both

A:Google URL redirect virus, multiple computers on same network

Hello.

Are you using a router in your home?

~Blade

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/404939/google-url-redirect-virus-multiple-computers-on-same-network/
Relevancy 64.07%

This is something I have never really come across and had to ask for outside help I currently use FiOS as my ISP I have the Actiontec MI WR router and have multiple devices connected to the network Some of the devices include two PCs with Vista iPads iPhones and printers The tunneling adapter seems to keep enabling multiple possibly infection and infected network computers Possible itself on all the computers and devices I even have a Macbook Pro that was experiencing issues I know for a fact that network Possible network infection and multiple computers possibly infected sharing is disabled on all the devices But I Possible network infection and multiple computers possibly infected will still see files from one computer being broadcast onto other computers on the network In the past I have turned off the router reset the router reset the modem firmware disabled port forwarding and purely used my iPhone hotspot to temporarily use as the network and the same thing would happen I had thought it could be DNS Changer or something to that effect I have been unable to successfully do repair-installs on some of the machines altogether and the MacBook actually locked me out from accessing certain parts of the hard drive The same thing happened with the Vista desktop that I have I was being denied permission to access the C drive and could not run any programs stating I did not have the proper credentials even though I was on an admin account When I began using the iPhone as a hotspot my network usage flooded to over times what it would normally be even though I wasn't doing anything data intensive The strange part is I even brought my computer to a friend's house miles away and connected to completely different network strangely enough he had the same type of router I do and I was still seeing files I know to only be on computers at my house being pushed to the computer on this completely different network In addition I even had files from my computer start showing up on my friend's computer I ran the obvious scans with MBAM on the computers I was able to run it MBAR and RogueKiller Nothing was found I don't know if this is some sort of bootkit since it seems to survive having clean installs or what the possible problem is And the fact that when I used my iPhone as a hotspot and it flooded the network usage and basically had all of my computers being recognized as servers scares me that I could be part of some sort of botnet or something Any suggestions would be most appreciated

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/539577/possible-network-infection-and-multiple-computers-possibly-infected/
Relevancy 64.07%

I managed to get folder sharing between a 7 and xp computer via lan cable to
work.
It took houers, and when it worked I didn't know why.

After reinstalling xp, again I can't make the lan cable connection between
the xp and 7 computer work.

The lan has the same name on both computers, and ip on both computer are config'ed.
Icons on both computers say, that the lan connection is running.
However, if I ping the windows 7 computer from the xp computer, it
works. If I ping the xp computer from the xp computer, it works.
If I ping the xp computer from the 7 computer, it doesn't work. If I ping
the 7 computer from the 7 computer, it doesn't work.

And on the 7 computer there is an yellow triangle on the network icon.
But it was also there before reinstallation, and the lan connection worked
anyway.

How do I get the lan cable connection to work?
Thanks.

A:Lan connect xp and 7 computer, computers do not appear under network.

Quote: Originally Posted by kjo

...If I ping the xp computer from the 7 computer, it doesn't work. If I ping
the 7 computer from the 7 computer, it doesn't work.

And on the 7 computer there is an yellow triangle on the network icon.
But it was also there before reinstallation, and the lan connection worked
anyway.

How do I get the lan cable connection to work?
Thanks.

Did you try the diagnose connection option in Win7's Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> Network Connections app?? Right click on it...

You also said early on...

Quote:
After reinstalling xp, again I can't make the lan cable connection between the xp and 7 computer work.

Can you desribe what you mean by LAN cable connection... is this a PC to PC (ad hoc) network, or do you have a switch or router?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/185851-lan-connect-xp-7-computer-computers-do-not-appear-under-network.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I had a network wich was connected through a cable modem to the internet.
After we moved to another house, i have an internetconnection through a speedport W 501 V over ADSL.
My main computer is connected with an excellent connection,
The other 3 computers can see the speedport, but cannot make a connection. The IP adress can not be refreshed. You cab see that the strength of the network is strong for these connections.
Because the signal was to weak for the other computers i have bought a Linksys wireless G-range expander.

How can i connect to the internet, how can i create a working XP workgrope as i had earlier (or is one problem connected to the other)

Relevancy 64.07%

This is a setup problem. I have a Windows 8 Pro laptop, and a new Windows 7 Laptop. When I try to setup the connection so that I can share files and folders between the two computers, I am asked for the User name and the password. I see the password in the homegroup, but entering it does not help. What is the user name in this case? My computer name or the other computer name or something else? Many thanks.

A:Solved: Can not connect to other computers on network

The new laptop was not connected to any home network. Once connected, I could get access to the files.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-can-not-connect-to-other-computers-on-network.1079621/
Relevancy 64.07%

I have a wireless network which includes a cable modem and a wireless router to send wireless signal computers 2 of 1 can't connect on network wireless to two computers Everything was working fine for a long time until 1 of 2 computers on wireless network can't connect today Suddenly 1 of 2 computers on wireless network can't connect one of the computers a laptop was unable to connect The other computer a desktop continues to have internet access Therefore I assume the modem and router are ok and the problem is with the laptop The wizard on the laptop detects the network The correct password is displayed 1 of 2 computers on wireless network can't connect in quot properties quot However the wizard says that it can't connect to the network Diagostics was unable to explain The wireless button on the laptop is green and the laptop says LAN is on I took a look at network adapters in device manager which shows two wireless devices one microsoft and the other realtech both quot working properly quot I used system restore to go back the previous day which didn't help I ran ipconfig from the command prompt which says quot media disconnected quot on all of the adapters including the wireless I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the wireless networks which make no difference I ran the procedure for resetting winsock to no avail I was unable to update drivers on the laptop without internet access I'm stymied and need some ideas

A:1 of 2 computers on wireless network can't connect

did you try a power cycle on the modem and router? Pull the power plug on both for a 10 count then plug back in starting with the modem.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/1-of-2-computers-on-wireless-network-cant-connect-859713.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I realise there are quite a lot of these about but from searching no-one seems to be having quite this problem For a while I connect. computers won't Network, Vista-XP have had two PCs XP Home and networked together using a router Netgear DG G v It s a wireless modem router Vista-XP Network, computers won't connect. with four wired connections as well Both Pcs were connected via ethernet cables to the router and both were able to access the internet and to view Vista-XP Network, computers won't connect. shared files on the other The wireless connection worked succesfully for any device wishing to access the internet PDAs and games consoles for example However we have recently purchased two Vista laptops both running Vista Premium which we wish to be able to use to connect to the XP machine the machine isn t a worry however networking Vista-XP Network, computers won't connect. the machines seems to be a problem Both laptops are able to access wireless internet over the network and can see the XP machine on their network maps but are unable to connect to it a screenshot of the network map is attatched with a couple of pieces of personal data censored The top two computers are laptops and the bottom the XP machine If wired to the network they merely give a message saying something to the tune of quot cannot create a map of this type of network quot The XP computer refuses to see them at all and will only find itself All computers can Ping each other by IP Can anyone help at all Thank you in advance nbsp

Relevancy 64.07%

Came to pick some brains for help Trying to help OP Rickman at Qwest net forums Told him I would post about problem over here Because of connectivity problems he has just switched his old Actiontec GT -WG for a new Actiontec GT -WG His statement of problem The Vista desktop is connected through ethernet and the XP laptop is wireless I am on my own wireless network and both computers can access the Internet but cannot share files or printer The Vista desktop will show the XP laptop in Network but clicking on it gets a quot Cannot communicate message quot On connect computers but network Can not internet, on to the XP laptop trying to see Workgroup computers gets a message quot Network is not accessible You might not have permissions quot I cannot ping one machine from the other I never tried to ping them when file sharing printing worked before but I would expect that they could I seem to remember some setting on the modem that I Can connect to internet, but not computers on network was told to change to make the networking happen the first time but it was years ago Thank you for you help What I have done so far Asked how he tried to ping Suggested if he pinged only by name to try pinging by actual IP address of each computer Remember seeing a thread here about Hostname IP Address resolution causing similar problem that was solved but couldn t find it Thanks DLSayremn nbsp

A:Can connect to internet, but not computers on network

I suggest the person with the issue post directly. It's much easier to assist without a middleman, and if he can post there, he should be able to post here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-connect-to-internet-but-not-computers-on-network.806805/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi everyone - Recently we went from a server physical environment to a multi-server virtual environment it was a huge upgrade Since the upgrade I have lost the ability to connect to computers remotely I am trying to connect to them using computername c etc I am currently on a Windows bit machine and all other computers are running XP Pro with SP bit We have a GPO that places all windows firewalls on with a variety of exceptions but I have no idea what I need to allow open to allow computers network Solved: connect Cannot on to these kind of connections to connect to varies networked computers Of course if we turn the windows firewalls off it will Solved: Cannot connect to computers on network work just Solved: Cannot connect to computers on network fine so something is being blocked Just an FYI we have VNC and LogMeIn and what not which work fine it s just sometimes I need to copy or look for files on someone s computer without disrupting them and that is the reason for connecting like this We are all using the same DHCP DNS IP Scheme and subnets Any help would be appreciated Matt nbsp

Relevancy 64.07%

Here's my setup I am using a Blackberry to USB tether to my desktop internet works on pc Ethernet to WAN from PC that has internet to wifi router I get DNS is not responding now from any other computer connected to the network either wired or wifi Set up my network as following Tether has internet sharing turned on and connected to Local Area Connection Local Area Connection has IP configured as IP address Subnet Default blank Preferred DNS Server my ethernet connection so the internet connection is sent to wifi router I have tried everything I mean days of effort and searching IP is disabled Microsoft Virtual is disabled This SAME exact setup was working perfectly a week ago with an older Linksys Wifi router Then any network computers but connect Cant to get my to other desktop I bought a new Linksys E and because I wanted something new Bad move That setup no longer worked on the new router now it no longer works on Cant get any other computers to connect to network but my desktop the old router Please please please help I've seriously tried everything and then finally came across a thread that got it working but then broke it with the new router I wouldnt post if I didnt troubleshoot for hours upon hours Thank you

A:Cant get any other computers to connect to network but my desktop

Please guys I beg you
Pretty much every time I try to diagnose on a laptop it says DNS Server isnt responding

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/146884-cant-get-any-other-computers-connect-network-but-my-desktop.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Ok, I am at a friend's house and his computer is Windows XP and it is set up so that he dials up onto his DSL access on this computer and then other computers connect to the network through this computer. He unplugged the network plug and I plugged it into my laptop couldn't get it to work. So I tried to set it up so that my computer would be the one it would connect to using Network Wizard and at the end of that it said it failed. Then we tried it on my friend's laptop again and no use. The internet works on his desktop but now whenever we try to connect through a laptop it comes up saying, Limited or no Connectivity. What should I do?

A:Network Isn't Working - Computers Can't Connect Through This One

I'll bumb this for you, so the guys can take a look.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-isnt-working-computers-cant-connect-through-this-one.422143/
Relevancy 64.07%

I've run into a problem connecting to the other computer on my network. It worked fine for a while, but one day a few months ago, although it at least recognized the other computer, it encountered problems actually letting me connect. I haven't worked with it again since then until today, and now the other computer doesn't even show up in my network, while my computer shows on the other one and can be connected to. I can ping the 2nd computer by name and ip, but if I try to use \\ name, it gives me: 0x80070005 Access is denied. Any suggestions?

Relevancy 63.64%

hi let me first thank those who will help So my cannot 3 Home computers, be accessed 1 network problem - I built a home network with computers for file sharing lets call them A B and C A- Dell m laptop runs vista OS THIS is the one giving PROBLEM runs no firewall no virus software actually clamwin but i hv closed it B- Tosiba laptop runs vista OS C- Desktop runs windows XP So From A I can see files of B amp C and can Home network 3 computers, 1 cannot be accessed access them I can ping B amp C from A too However i can see A as a workgroup computer on B amp C I cannot access it nor can i ping A from B amp C Here is the error i get i searched for this error on net tried diff things no help - quot A is not accessible You might not have permission to use this network resource Contact admin quot The network path was not found PLEASE LET KNOW HOW I CAN ACCESS COMPUTER A FOR FILE SHARING Oh i read a few posts here i dont think there is a firewall issue as windows vista on A says firewall disabled i m also not running anything else besides if you think something is blocking A to be access WHAT is the BEST way to know that THX AGAIN nbsp

Relevancy 63.64%

All computers can see other. on home canít see Computers each network internet and wireless printer I can ping the router from all computers but can not ping any other computer on network Network discovery on Vista machine only sees router and wireless printer Router Linksys WRT G minimal changes from default configuration Configured to login to network through DSL modem Computer Windows XP Pro SP physically connected to router Local Area Connection Properties include Client for Microsoft Networks File and Printer Sharing and TCP IP workgroup MSHOME Windows firewall turned OFF No other firewall or virus software that I know of although I do have Windows Live installed for email access Sees printer physically connected to this computer Also sees wireless printer Computer Windows XP Pro SP Wireless connection Local Area Connection Properties include Client for Computers on home network canít see each other. Microsoft Networks File and Printer Sharing and TCP Computers on home network canít see each other. IP workgroup MSHOME Computers on home network canít see each other. Windows firewall turned OFF No other firewall software installed Recently reinstalled OS Sees wireless printer Computer Vista Ultimate Wireless connection Local Area Connection Properties include Client for Microsoft Networks File and Printer Sharing and TCP IP workgroup MSHOME Windows firewall turned OFF No other firewall software installed Recently reinstalled OS Sees wireless printer nbsp

Relevancy 63.64%

Hi all I want to use a new LinkSys Cable DSL Router model befsr but some things are not working I have an older Netgear RP router and with that I can easily see all computers in my home and print etc In other words everything is configured and working at least with the old router The internet works fine on but seen on on old Computers router network on can not new one. home be the new router but I can t see computers in the home network It also can t find a newly added printer that I d like to share If I hook up the old router again then everything works again The printer is also found Once it s seen and shared I can then switch to the new router and print to it from another computer However I d like the new router Computers on home network can be seen on old router but not on new one. to be able to find that printer without relying on the old router every time If I re-install windows on a computer on the network then the printer of course goes away It then starts all over again I need the old router each and every time to find a printer for sharing Also the main problem of course is that I also can t see any computers in the home network with this new router I figure there must be some way to make the new router act Computers on home network can be seen on old router but not on new one. like the old one since the old one is so simplistic I m hoping I m missing something simple in the LinkSys s setup The systems all use Windows XP I d list all computer specs for all computers but this seems to be a problem with the new router and nothing in particular with the Computers on home network can be seen on old router but not on new one. computers To give you an idea one is a ghz Intel on an Asus motherboard with GB ram The other systems are ghz and on similar LAN connections are built into the motherboard The modem is an Arris cable modem All computers plug into the router which is then connected to the modem But again the router is causing the problem that prevents computers from seeing each other At least I think so since I can always hook up the old one and have it works Can anyone see something I ve overlooked Thanks Update I was able to somehow get the home network to be visible with the new router However I still can t get a new printer to be recognized with network sharing unless I hook up the old router nbsp

A:Computers on home network can be seen on old router but not on new one.

A bit more info would be helpful. Are the pc's static or dynamic ips? Can you ping anything? Have you been able to talk to your new router? Does it have the dhcp enabled/disabled? With a bit of info you might be able to duplicate most of the settings from the old to the new router if you can talk to them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computers-on-home-network-can-be-seen-on-old-router-but-not-on-new-one.606178/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi guys Hope someone can help me on this I've got two computers one with Windows Home Pro and a new computer with on computers to access everything to network set home How up Windows Ultimate I'm trying to set up a network so that I can access everything on both computers The newer computer with Ultimate on it has a SSD drive for my operating system and programs and an internal drive for storage I need to be able to access the storage drive with the computer with Home Pro on it Right now the only thing I can access is my public folder on the main drive The storage drive e is showing up in the network but when I click on it I get a message that I do not have perimssion to view it I've tried every suggestion that I can find on how to fix this nothing works On the older computer with Home Pro on it I'm getting a quot There is a second homegroup on this computer would you like to join it quot message I can't figure out how it got there how to view it how to delete it or even how to join it as all passwords I have do not work Let me know if you need any other information I have screen shots if needed Thanks Linda

A:How to set up home network to access everything on computers

Hello to a Buckeye Gal,

Chev65 is probably one of our most knowledgable members on networking.

I don't use "homegroups" because I have differenet versions of Windows running on my networks. (98, XP, Vista, Win7). I always use business type networks. You have to make sure you get the sharing right on each HD & folders that you want shared on the network.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/290504-how-set-up-home-network-access-everything-computers.html
Relevancy 63.64%

NETWORKING PROBLEM I have a networking problem that I do not understand and have been unable to resolve It concerns computers on HOMENET OfficeMain runs Windows OfficeSecond runs Windows Laptop runs Windows XP SP OfficeMain can see but not access OfficeSecond and cannot / Network Home XP 3 Computers Win7 see Laptop Attempts to access OfficeSecond from OfficeMain give The specified network provider name is invalid OfficeSecond can see and access both OfficeMain and Laptop However it has read only access to OfficeMain files Laptop can see and access both Home Network 3 Computers Win7 / XP OfficeMain and Home Network 3 Computers Win7 / XP OfficeSecond Laptop has read write access to OfficeMain files The network map on OfficeMain shows both OfficeMain and OfficeSecond but neither can be accessed by double clicking the icons This returns The specified network provider name is invalid The network map on OfficeSecond shows OfficeMain OfficeSecond and Laptop but only OfficeSecond and Laptop can be accessed by double clicking the icons HomeGroup can be created as a one-off but only on OfficeMain which can see but not access shared libraries Restarting Main or Second sometimes loses HomeGroup connectivity Help And please tell me any additional information actions required Thanks OfficeMain data AV temporarily disabled for fault finding Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM i - CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R HD Graphics Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB H Total - MB Free - MB S Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Acer Aspire X Antvirus PC Tools Internet Security Anti-Virus Disabled nbsp

Relevancy 63.64%

Hello All,

AS always thank you all for your time in reading this.

So here's my problem...

I have a home computer;

Windows XP Pro
Direct connection to high speed cable

I also have a laptop;

Windows XP Pro
Connects to the internet via a Belkin wireless router (that's connected to my home computer)

I'm trying to connect these two computers together so I can work on various files and folders on my laptop in the wee hours of the morning, instead of falling asleep at my computer desk at night.

I've tried the Windows "setup a wireless home or small business" application with little success. Unless I've done something wrong, I can't connect these two computers.

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone has to offer.

Thanks again for your time.

A:Help me setup a HOME network between 2 computers PLEASE!

Hi 5DoubleO,

Try setting up the home network on the main computer. CONTROL PANEL > NETWORK SETUP WIZARD. Give it a network name, the most common name is "WORKGROUP". After you complete creating the network, it will probably ask you to restart.

Then, go on your secondary PC (most likely your laptop) and go to CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > COMPUTER NAME TAB > CHANGE... > Then enter the network name you created on your main computer. It will probably ask you to restart.

Then you should be able to access both computers shared documents.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-me-setup-a-home-network-between-2-computers-please.703846/
Relevancy 63.64%

We have had 5 computers on our network (p2p) and I'm using two separate workstations as servers for two different database programs. We just added two computers to the network and I'm not allowed to use more than 5 computers at a time to access the one server (with a mapped drive). I can reboot the server and the first 5 computer (counting the server) can access the mapped server. All computer can access each other (excepted for the mapped one). I'm thinking that there maybe sometype of limitation to the number of computer xp home allows on the network.

Any thoughts on how to change this? Thanks!
Banner

Relevancy 63.64%

Really appreciate your computer knowledge. Here?s the problem.

I created a HOMEGROUP on computers A with PRINTER hooked up.. No problem with A, B, C printing.

Now I hooked up PRINTER to computers B. Computers A, B, C do not print (unless I hook up to A).

IMHO if all computers are on the same home network, they should be able to share the same functions.
What should I do to hook up the printer to B and A, B, C will print?

I thank you.

A:Print for all computers on the same home network

If the printer is capable of using Ethernet or Wifi, you do not need it connected to a computer to print, since the printer contains an internal print server. Majority of the times, it is either the Windows Firewall is turned on, or a third party Internet Security software, that is causing this issue. Turn off the firewall, things go back to normal.

As for homegroup, do not use it. Disable it and use standard Networking. It also helps to know the manufacturer & model of the router, OS versions and printer manufacturer & model number.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/50268-print-all-computers-same-home-network.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi,

I would like to access two computers that are connected to a Linksys EZXS88W network switch. My computer is connected to that switch, as well ad my second. There is also a internet connection on that switch. How do you do this? Are there any protocols? Thanks!

Relevancy 63.21%

There are two computers on our network that suddenly stopped connecting to the internet according to the user All the other computers are running just fine Neither Google Chrome or IE can connect to any webpage However both computers can access anything else on the network and also randomly change from showing internet access Computers Internet? to Suddenly on Network Cannot Connect to no internet access in the network center Also even though no webpages can be loaded the computer is still apparently connected to the internet because they can be accessed remotely through Team Viewer from outside the network over the internet System Restore helped with nothing and I tried to install Ad-Aware to do a scan but the installation fails because it cannot connect to the internet The machines are running Windows Professional x bit It was the same user who was on both machines when they went down and based on the browsing history it looks like this could possibly be related to some sort of malware spyware as opposed to coincidental hardware issues Edit - I did check the Ethernet cables with my laptop and have no issues connecting to the internet from the laptop

A:Computers on Network Suddenly Cannot Connect to Internet?

I hope your company's security infrastructure's intact and strong, so that whatever is troubling these two computers [via downloads and/or internet installs] will not travel to other computers within the company.  Could the company-wide security systems also be "interrupting" this particular user's "interneting?"

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/564721/computers-on-network-suddenly-cannot-connect-to-internet/
Relevancy 63.21%

I have a dell desktop running windows vista that connects to my wireless router with a cable I have an HP laptop that is running windows that is wireless When I look at network computers on the dell I cannot and with wireless same network wired the computers to connect get an error message that says that the computer is not accessible The same thing happens when I try to log onto the desktop from cannot connect to the same network with wired and wireless computers the laptop When I try to run the network wizard from the desktop I see see connect to the internet connect to a wireless router or access point setup a dialup connection and connect to a workplace None of them make sense cannot connect to the same network with wired and wireless computers but I tried connect to a wireless router and got a message that said to cannot connect to the same network with wired and wireless computers set it up manually or set up a flash drive neither of which makes sense I tried set it up manually and all that happened is the router setup screen opened up I tried the same thing on the laptop and the setup the network wizard opened a screen that said choose a wireless router or access point to configure but nothing ever showed up on that screen I hate to knock windows but this all seems unnecessairly complicated It can t be that odd to have wired and wireless computers on the same network nbsp

A:cannot connect to the same network with wired and wireless computers

sorry, not clear if your issue is connecting those pcs to the internet or if you are trying to share the computers across your network

do both pcs work on the internet OK ?

if sharing
Here&#8217;s how you can get your Windows 7 PC to share printers and files with XP and Vista PCs--and even a Mac
http://www.pcworld.com/article/184232/set_up_your_home_network_windows_7_edition.html
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12246/share-a-printer-on-your-network-from-vista-or-xp-to-windows-7/

Share files between windows 7 and vista
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9040/how-to-share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-vista/

Here&#8217;s how you can get your Windows 7 PC to share printers and files with XP and Vista PCs--and even a Mac.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/184232/set_up_your_home_network_windows_7_edition.html

Complete Guide to Networking Windows 7 with XP and Vista
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15247/complete-guide-to-networking-windows-7-with-xp-and-vista/

if you are trying to get on the internet
can we see an ipconfig /all from both pcs - make sure we know which is which
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

This should also work for windows 8
Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will now be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-connect-to-the-same-network-with-wired-and-wireless-computers.1075184/
Relevancy 63.21%

The problem is in the topic, I can see other computer in my network, yet cannot connect to any of them. Every computer has the password protected sharing off and discovery on, most are using Vista, one is using XP. At first the computers just didn't show up, but after a while they will appear in the network list but when trying to connect it will try for a while, then give you an error.

Windows cannot access \\*computer name*

Error code: 0x80070035
The network path was not found.Click to expand...

This computer is using Vista Home premium.

A:Solved: Vista can see other computers in network, cannot connect.

Alright, after some work we figured out the problem was with Mcafee. We were able to mess around with the network settings and got it all to work.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-vista-can-see-other-computers-in-network-cannot-connect.743066/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi I have had this Network setup at my home for a while There is one desktop which has Windows XP Professional we'll call this XPA antivirus is MSE connected to the router Unable XP Share computers to to connect Network in through Unable to connect to XP computers in Network Share an ethernet port and three Unable to connect to XP computers in Network Share laptops one with XP Media Center we'll call this XPB antivirus is McAfee configured to share files Unable to connect to XP computers in Network Share and printers and two with Professional and Home Premium one is my own laptop -A antivirus is MSE and other is -B antivirus is McAfee configured to share files and printers A few months ago every computer was able to see each other easily through their names and were able to share files and printers easily even with the two laptops having password protection All of them were in the same Workgroup called WORKGROUP and the two laptops were in the same Homegroup sharing files through passwords Now I came back home from college and oddly find that my laptop which is -A Professional with MSE can't connect either XP computers when I type their name coming up with the error code x The network path was not found I can only connect when I type in their IP address It's the same when I try to connect from the XP computers to my laptop I can easily connect to -B though and -B can easily connect to my laptop XPA and XPB and vice versa I have no idea why this is happening now since I haven't really fiddled around with the settings in college other than installing some program that will let me connect to the university network Don't know if this changes much but I have a dual boot set up on my laptop with XP being the second OS and it can easily connect to the other three computers and the other three computers can easily connect to it I know that this may not be a big deal since I can still share through IP addresses but it does get annoying when the IP address for the desktop with XP changes since it has the main printer shared and I have to reinstall it if it changes Could a random reason be due to me using Windows Anytime Upgrade to upgrade my laptop from Home Premium to Professional which somehow changed some firewall port settings

A:Unable to connect to XP computers in Network Share

Disable the firewall temporarily as a test, see if it makes a difference.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/198068-unable-connect-xp-computers-network-share.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I have had a netgear router for some time now (WNR2000) for three home computers, all Windows Vista+ and recently had to buy a new wireless adapter for one of them (WNA3100). Previously, all computers were connected to a security-enabled network called 'Johnson'.

I installed the new adapter via the wizard and it ended up creating a new network entitled 'NTGR_zhOXSTT8ZSXtTUsaRd5lXfrq-WPS'. Johnson has now disappeared from the list and no other computer is able to connect to this new network. I tried changing from WPA2 to WEP and changing the password in hopes that the other computers will be able to login but it didn't work.

Help!!

A:Created new network by accident; other computers can't connect!

Why not (on the router) change it back to the old SSID and WPA-PSK or whatever encryption you were using, make sure you didn't enable MAC Address filtering, and stay away from those strange wizards?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/created-new-network-by-accident-other-computers-cant-connect.1006294/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hey guys, I just loaded up my machine with Windows Vista Home Basic and wanted to connect my another laptop to it via Wireless AdHoc network. I created a wireless adhoc network from the network and sharing center. But was unable to connect the other laptop to it. Everything is ok. My WLAN is on, drivers are also latest. Please help.

My system configuration-
OS Version: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic SP2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 1406 Mb
Graphics Card: VIA Chrome9 HC IGP, 128 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 20002 MB, Free - 9600 MB; D: Total - 20002 MB, Free - 6003 MB; E: Total - 36303 MB, Free - 7469 MB;
Motherboard: HCL Infosystems Limited, Notebook PC, VT6363A, 1234567890
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Disabled

Relevancy 63.21%

Hi
I am new here. I have been reading the threads. Looks like a great forum.
I had a working network at home. I had to change the router and now other computers can not see my computer at all. It said not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. I have tried going on the drives and giving permission that way. It didn't work. Can someone please help!!
Thanks Ron

A:How to give permission for other computers on my network to connect to me.

Ron

Since no one else has replied yet.......

I`m not too good at networking, but this occurs to me.
Check the firewall. Turn it off first and see if that helps

It probably was set up before with a ?trusted network" based on an address from the old router.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-give-permission-for-other-computers-on-my-network-to-connect-to-me-220618.html
Relevancy 63.21%

She keeps loosing connection then has to wait until network - connect wireless still home connect/doesn't win 7 looses it decides it can connect again She would wait about five minutes and then click on something and would gain access http www sevenforums com network-s reconnect html the symptom has been occurring for at least a month and more We are on a wireless still looses connect/doesn't connect - win 7 wireless home network network Uverse and have not had any problems with this still looses connect/doesn't connect - win 7 wireless home network wireless network One thing i notice is that her icon for the connect shows one less bar than mine shows I should be the same they are both HP machines and sit in the same spot when it is not connected and the icon is clicked it does not show our connect name as an option Sometimes rebooting solves the problem sometimes clicking 'connect' does It will work for a while and then she looses the connect I am not sure that her problems started when she got that quot conduit quot search malware I had only partially removed it it was still resident when another tab on her firefox was opened Yesterday i found some additional information to remove the settings from registry and thought that had cured it But apparently it did not we are now back to the disconnect problem last i tried it it wouldn't even connect on restart Right now she is saying that its been doing pretty well for about five minutes Probably wont last long I don't really know why this all started I think it went back before the 'conduit' thing got installed She usually doesn't say anything to me she sits there and waits until it will connect so i don't always know what's going on Need suggestions as to look for settings to be changed etc By the way i got her repair disks and tried a repair its windows home and it decided there was nothing to repair Please help we are tearing our hair out - J

A:still looses connect/doesn't connect - win 7 wireless home network

How far away from your computers is the router? Also; have you tried to power cycle the modem and router? If not; i would try that. Unplug both the modem and router; wait about a minute; then plug in the modem first; let that boot; then plug the router back in and let that boot. Try doing that and see if it helps the situation.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/324656-still-looses-connect-doesnt-connect-win-7-wireless-home-network.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Days ago this site helped me with a problem I encountered when I hooked up 2 new computers to my network (making a total of 7) and I learned that XP home (the os on all computers) limits access to only 5 computers at one time to any given file or program. Now since I don't have a server per say, I only use one of the workstations to act as the server for one of our data bases. Can I make the one computer (acting as the server) an XP pro and keep the other XP Home and get access to the data with up to 10 computers? I'm wanting to know for sure before I go out and get XP Pro (actually I'll take one of the new computers back and swap for one with xp pro already on it).

Thanks,

Relevancy 63.21%

I have computers on my home network of which are running Windows pro and the other one is Windows Vista home All of 7 Windows my on of Cannot only network. ONE - access home computers the computers are in the same workgroup I tried using homegroup as well but it worked terribly and I disabled it all of them have the same network settings file and printer sharing on network discovery on etc all of them have access to the internet and for Windows 7 - Cannot access only ONE of my computers on home network. the purposes of troubleshooting I have disable all AV software and firewalls For months I was able to connect to all of my computers from any other computer Suddenly my main office computer Windows 7 - Cannot access only ONE of my computers on home network. Windows which I'm also using as a Quickbooks file server so I NEED it to work started losing it's connection and file sharing with the others I would restart it and that would fix the problem for anywhere from minute to week Now I simply cannot connect to it at all with any Windows 7 - Cannot access only ONE of my computers on home network. computers and rebooting doesn't help The problem-computer is usually visible in the network window of the other computers but trying to access it returns an error of x cannot access check the spelling blah blah If I run Windows Network Diagnostics it says my computer is configured correctly but the other computer is the problem If i run the diagnostics on the problem-computer it says THE SAME THING So frustrating I recently learned that if I type the local IP address of one of my computers into the explorer bar of the problem-computer BOOM Instant access However If I type the IP address of the problem-computer into any of the others I get nothing at all Not even an error Just nothing This has been an EXTREMELY frustrating problem for me for the last few months and it is very much inhibiting my ability to run my home office I would really appreciate any help or suggestions Let me know if you need me to post diagnostic reports or anything Thanks everyone

A:Windows 7 - Cannot access only ONE of my computers on home network.

It turned out to be my old, crappy, wireless PCI adapter in the problem computer. Replaced it, problem solved.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/309418-windows-7-cannot-access-only-one-my-computers-home-network.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi My home network in Australia links to the internet via a Cisco Linksys Wireless-N ADSL Gateway model WAG N That s connected Solved: computers home Two network on interfere via an ethernet cable to an XNET Ethernet Switch model SH- A which links via ethernet cables to four desktop computers and Solved: Two computers interfere on home network a Cisco Linksys Dual-N Band Wireless Router model WRT N which is in a more central position than the WAG N and so gives better wireless connection in most of the house Whenever my main desktop computer Windows XP ethernet cable to the Solved: Two computers interfere on home network SH- N is turned on it disconnects my son s laptop from the internet Windows XP wireless connection via the WRT N Similarly as long as his wireless laptop is turned on it interferes with the ethernet internet connection on my XP desktop intermittent connection Thunderbird will often not send or receive emails There seems to be no interference with the other desktops all Windows XP ethernet cables to the SH- N or my laptop Windows wireless via the WRT N I ve tried connecting the WRT N directly to the WAG N but that didn t help I d be very grateful Solved: Two computers interfere on home network for advice about how to stop the interference between my desktop and my son s laptop nbsp

Relevancy 63.21%

I am new to this forum and need help badly.

Setting up home network. Can see computers but cannot access them. from two of them I can ping the third computer but from the third computer cannot ping the other two. Can someone help.

I will appreciate your help.

Jose

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/setting-up-home-network-can-see-computers-but-cannot-access-them-305176.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Annoying little problem.
I have my desktop, laptop, printer and 3 Raspberry Pi's on a home network.
The laptop and the Pi's can all "see" each other on the network and in the network map but the desktop only sees the laptop,
Otherwise, all machines happily talk to each other, there are no connectivity problems.
Ideas out there?

A:Home network not showing all connected computers

have you tried this fix
Windows Explorer does not display all network computers in Windows 7 SP1 or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/342418-home-network-not-showing-all-connected-computers.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I have a questions regarding network sharing.
Can you only share files and folders that are in the 'Public folder' when using Vista.
I have 3 computers at home 2 using Vista and 1 using XP.
Both Vista computers can access all the files and folders on the XP computer but If I try to to access any other folder than 'Public' using the XP computer I get asked for a user name and password. I don't have passwords sert up on my computers.

A:Sharing Vista computers on home network

You have to have User Name and Password on Each computer to share files. Go to Control Panel/Users and set up passwords. Also make sure that you are sharing the files you want on that computer.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/sharing-vista-computers-on-home-network-421745.html
Relevancy 63.21%

This is a similar problem to one I saw elsewhere on here.
I have three computers on my Home Network - mine, my wife's and a spare that we have. All are running XP Pro SP2 (fully updated).
My router is a NetComm 1300Plus4.
Until recently all was fine. However, now I can read both the other computers from my own, but get a message telling me that I may not have permission to access my own from either of the others - Access is denied!
Thus far, I have run the Wizard and created a Network Setup Disk and that hasn't worked. I have run the Wizard individually on each of the three machines and that hasn't worked. I have checked the Firewall settings on all three and they are the same.
Any ideas at all, because I am now totally at a loss!

A:Access denied from other computers on my Home Network

Did you try resetting the router?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/access-denied-from-other-computers-on-my-home-network.82062/
Relevancy 63.21%

I have 5 computers on my home network..4 PC's and 1 Mac. I want to share video files between the computers and when I try I get the screen that wants my user name and password. Trouble is, I don't know which ones they mean. I know I'm a noob here but others setup my main computer and I had an extended health issue And I can't remember the user name or password. Is it the network password? I have that but I have tried every user name I can think of and I can't get it to work. Thanks in advance!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-files-with-different-computers-on-home-network.1163282/
Relevancy 63.21%

Would like to find out why I cannot see a hard drive on another computer on my home network Here is the background I took and put a SSD as C drive on a HP Pavilion and put that HD seeing computers by other home problem drive network ST LM HN-M into the CD drive bay which makes the HD drive D Did the share of that drive right click on D Share with gt Advance sharing gt Advance Sharing gt Permissions gt Everyone In the box Permissions for Everyone checked all boxes Went to my main desktop Gigabyte amp opened Windows Explorer Can see computers that are on Gigabyte Basement Lenovo and the Pavilion Click on Pavilion and I see D amp Users Click on D and home network problem seeing drive by other computers get Network Error box Windows cannot access Pavilion-pc d You do not have permissions to access Pavilion-pc d Contact your network administrator to request access I am network administrator but do not know how to fix this Another thing I did was go to Basement computer amp opened Windows Explorer Clicked on Pavilion and it shows D home network problem seeing drive by other computers Click on D and I can see what is on that drive Can open any file like a Word doc Gigabyte is running Windows Pro -bit Lenovo is running Windows Home When I home network problem seeing drive by other computers open Windows Explorer I see the computers Click on Pavilion and get the same as the Gigabyte Cannot see what is on D Basement is running Windows Pavilion is running Windows I bet this is going to be something that I have overlooked and will be an easy fix for someone that knows what they are doing Thank you for the help

A:home network problem seeing drive by other computers

What Firewall/Internet Security software are you running?

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/64859-home-network-problem-seeing-drive-other-computers.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hello all I'm a noob so please bear with me I'm trying to share network computers [SOLVED] between share same home two Cannot on files on my two home computers They are on the same wifi network and I've tried really hard to go through the forums and make sure everything is set up right Sharing is turned on the computers are pinging each other they are even seeing each other in [SOLVED] Cannot share between two home computers on same network the Network and Sharing Center When i try to access the files on one computer it gives me an [SOLVED] Cannot share between two home computers on same network error saying access denied error code x When I try to access files from that computer from my [SOLVED] Cannot share between two home computers on same network other computer it asks me for a user name and password The problem with that is that I never put in any passwords on that computer There's a password on the other one but when I type it in it still doesn't let me in I hope that wasn't too confusing I hope someone can at least help me find out what that password prompt is or something that will point me in the right direction Thanks guys

A:[SOLVED] Cannot share between two home computers on same network

Okay everyone, I tried a couple of other things before it finally hit me that I didn't unclick enable password protected sharing on my other computer. I have it working now. Sorry for the post. I appreciate those who read my convoluted question, though. Thanks!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-cannot-share-between-two-home-computers-on-same-network-519157.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I think i read somewhere that i could route all the comps on my home network through my computer in order to cut down on my kids getting around the firewalls and virus protection. i am fixing to go to linksys E3000 and AE2500 adapters for their comps. can anyone point me in the right direction on how to make everything run through me, so i dont have probs with the kids circumventing the network.

A:How do i route all the computers on my home network through my comp?

You could install free for home use K9 Web Protection - Free Internet Filter and Parental Control Software this way you could control what they are allowed to interact with over the tinternet and at what times etc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/200365-how-do-i-route-all-computers-my-home-network-through-my-comp.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi I have a desktop and a laptop setup at home I have recently upgraded both to Windows Both were previously running Windows Home Premium and could identify each other on the network and I could access files on either PC from one or the other at any time With the upgrade to Windows I am still able to see the other 10 on Other Computers Home Network Cannot Access Windows machine on the local network but I am unable to access their folders and move files between machines The error message I get is as follows When Cannot Access Other Computers on Windows 10 Home Network I run the network diagnosis no errors are detected and Cannot Access Other Computers on Windows 10 Home Network it asks me if I want to explore other options The full error message is I do have shared libraries available across both machines that are part of my homegroup so I can access the video files in the hard drive of my desktop from my Laptop but only to play them - not to move them around I suspect this is either a user validation issue or a firewall issue and I'm not sure how to go about checking whether this is the case or not Any assistance much appreciated IvorTollah

A:Cannot Access Other Computers on Windows 10 Home Network

You have to map the share from the other machine. This is a known SMB-CIFS with Windows 10, no time frame known when it will be fixed.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/25915-cannot-access-other-computers-windows-10-home-network.html
Relevancy 62.78%

hello i am trying to connect to my fiances home network on my dell inspirion 8200 it connects fine at home with out having to configure anything, but at my fiances house its giving me problems the connection will pop up as soon as i click connect it tries to but then this comes up. unable to connect to selected network network may not be in range but the thing is that im right in front of the wireless router. someone please help

A:trying to connect to my home wireless network but it odesnt connect,

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trying-to-connect-to-my-home-wireless-network-but-it-odesnt-connect.1087684/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello. I am a complete newbie to server administration. At my current job, I have been tasked with setting up a deployment server. The server is a Windows 2008 server and is not connected to the Internet. The server is a domain controller on its own domain (different from the main domain my job uses). How would I connect this server to the Internet without disrupting other users on the network? By disrupting, I mean connecting to my server instead of the main server for DNS and DHCP. The server has Active Directory Domain Services, DNS, DHCP, and WDS roles set-up.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connect-server-to-the-internet-without-disrupting-other-computers-on-network.200167/
Relevancy 62.78%

At our office we have atleast 10 computers and they are all connected to a wireless Network using D-Link wireless adapters. All the computers are able to connect to the internet and browsing the net is not a problem, but the problem is in accessing some of the computers on the network, I keep getting thse pop up error messages saying " \\comp1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions". I am the Technical guy in the company overseeing tthe network. Please Help am stranded and my job is on the line.!

A:I can connect to the wireless network in my office but i cant access some computers:

Sounds like you don't have permissions. Is this a domain or a workgroup network? Sounds like a workgroup.
Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

PING each remote computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. Open a command prompt as described above and type.

PING <ip address>
or
PING <computer name>

Where:
<ip address> - is the x.x.x.x IP address
<computer name> - is the computer name

A failure to PING is almost always a firewall configuration issue. Any failure to PING needs to be corrected before you go any farther.

Note: You can obtain the IP address and computer name of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG /ALL. This should work for any Windows version. The IPCONFIG /ALL display will provide a wealth of useful information for debugging your network connection.

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:

COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
Computer Browser
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Server
TCP/IP Netbios helper
Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations)
WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations)
Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic.

If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.
All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Places (Network and Sharing Center in Vista), make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login. NOTE: Vista's default is to require a password on the account to enable file/print sharing.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing. You can open a command prompt as described above and type the following command: nbtstat -n. This will display the status of NetBIOS or indicate it's not configured.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-can-connect-to-the-wireless-network-in-my-office-but-i-cant-access-some-computers.952935/
Relevancy 62.78%

OBJECTIVE:
Currently running a wireless network but I have 2 desktops downstairs that need WIRED internet. I don't want to have to buy 2 wireless cards to connect both machines to the internet AND network (I also need to transfer larger files since we work with heavy graphics).

SETUP:
Both have Gb network cards installed.
- One is a server, running on windows 2003 server
- The other is a regular desktop running win xp pro sp2
I was thinking of purchasing a wireless access point router or bridge that has about 4 ports (in case I add 2 more machines). Would be great too if I can use this same system to upgrade our bluray player =)

Currently, the cable modem is attached to a belkin wireless pre-n router [F5D8230-4] here's link: http://is.gd/mleI

Can someone help?

Relevancy 62.35%

I have a home desktop computer, and a work laptop. Over the years I've changed laptops and home computers, and have always been able to get network sharing working so I can transfer files between them by using \\<hostname>

I've had my current setup for about 6 months now, and have been able to share files. Let's call my home computer "alien" and my work computer "laptop".

A couple of days ago, I found I was not able to connect to alien from laptop, but I could connect the other way. Also, alien can ping laptop, but NOT vice versa. alien has a static IP of 192.168.1.200, and laptop has an IP address of 192.168.1.8 via DHCP.

Any ideas about why laptop cannot ping alien (which would explain why I can't connect to it)?

A:Can no longer connect to home computer over home network

Quote: Originally Posted by mbh9700

I have a home desktop computer, and a work laptop. Over the years I've changed laptops and home computers, and have always been able to get network sharing working so I can transfer files between them by using \\<hostname>

I've had my current setup for about 6 months now, and have been able to share files. Let's call my home computer "alien" and my work computer "laptop".

A couple of days ago, I found I was not able to connect to alien from laptop, but I could connect the other way. Also, alien can ping laptop, but NOT vice versa. alien has a static IP of 192.168.1.200, and laptop has an IP address of 192.168.1.8 via DHCP.

Any ideas about why laptop cannot ping alien (which would explain why I can't connect to it)?

You may want to disable the antivirus software for testing. With the ping not working it would seem like something is blocking the connection. Do the machines appear in the network folder under network?

Obviously you should make sure that Network Discovery and File and Printer sharing are turned on in the Advanced Sharing settings.

Make sure they are on the same Workgroup etc. and that file sharing is enabled through the sharing tab >Advanced Sharing> of the C:>Users folder.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/309141-can-no-longer-connect-home-computer-over-home-network.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I have computers on my home network of which are running Windows pro and the other one is Windows Vista home All of the computers are in the same workgroup I tried using homegroup as well but it worked terribly and I disabled it all of them have the same network settings file and printer sharing on network discovery on etc all of them have access 7 my Cannot home network. only ONE Windows computers Solved: access of on - to the internet and for the purposes of troubleshooting I have disable all AV software and firewalls For months I was able to connect Solved: Windows 7 - Cannot access only ONE of my computers on home network. to all of my computers from any other computer Suddenly my main office computer Windows which I m also using as a Quickbooks file server so I NEED it to work started losing it s connection and file sharing with the others I would restart it and that would fix the problem for anywhere from minute to week Now I simply cannot connect to it Solved: Windows 7 - Cannot access only ONE of my computers on home network. at all with any computers and rebooting doesn t help The problem-computer is usually visible in the network window of the other computers but trying to access it returns an error of x cannot access check the spelling blah blah If I run Windows Network Diagnostics it says my computer is configured correctly but the other computer is the problem If i run the diagnostics on the problem-computer it says THE SAME THING So frustrating I recently learned that if I type the local IP address of one of my computers into the explorer bar of the problem-computer BOOM Instant access However If I type the IP address of the problem-computer into any of the others I get nothing at all Not even an error Just nothing This has been an EXTREMELY frustrating problem for me for the last few months and it is very much inhibiting my ability to run my home office I would really appreciate any help or suggestions Let me know if you need me to post diagnostic reports or anything Thanks everyone nbsp

A:Solved: Windows 7 - Cannot access only ONE of my computers on home network.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-7-cannot-access-only-one-of-my-computers-on-home-network.1111439/
Relevancy 62.35%

hello bleepingcomputer, i have had this problem a while now. my computer blocks files sent from computers in my home network if any other computer in my network goes into computer->networks->(my computer) and tries to send me a file it just blocks it. the reaseon is that while my bigger brother lived in my house and always sent me troll files and stuff i managed to block acces to my computer throught the local network and now that hes moved out, i cant remember what i did. so if any of you experts out there knows how to do it, i could use some help to find the option to allow lan acces to my computer

A:cant receive packets from local computers in my home network

What are the OSes in your network?  If they aren't all Windows 7 or 8.x, there're special considerations.  In addition there're permission and firewall considerations, but since you've neglected to provide configuration details, that's about all I can tell you for now.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/537227/cant-receive-packets-from-local-computers-in-my-home-network/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello I recently upgraded the Home. correctly showing Computers not up network Windows 10 in machines on my home Computers in network not showing up correctly Windows 10 Home. network to windows home I am having frustrating issues with the network at the moment and would appreciate any help available Currently Computers in network not showing up correctly Windows 10 Home. when I open up quot this PC quot and click on network only one of the computers shows up and this machine is not the local machine on of them However If I type in the UNC address for Computers in network not showing up correctly Windows 10 Home. the other machines I can access them If I set up a home group all the computers show up in the home group roll out under quot this PC quot but still not in the network Something else that is strange If I look at quot network and sharing center quot two of the the computer see one private network name and the other one sees a different name I did not have any of these issues with windows prior to upgrade The exact same hardware PC's router ect functioned correctly all of the PC's are hard wired to the router so any WiFi issues can be ruled out Thank you in advance for your help

A:Computers in network not showing up correctly Windows 10 Home.

This gets so time consuming, that I hate to even get started but I have a similar problem. I actually think that some update to win 10 caused this issue but can't verify it. I have 2 desktops and 2 laptops on the network. One desktop and one notebook were upgraded to win 10 about a month ago. Everything was fine then. Since three days ago, the notebook does not show up on the other computers at all including itself. This is under "network" on file explorer. On the notebook under HOMEGROUP , it shows a mixture of username and computer names but never the same thing twice. The WIn 10 desktop shows the same mixture under Homegroup, but shows everything under NETWORK but the notebook. The note book has become the hidden device on all four computers in the house. The frustrating things is that tomorrow, these results will all be different. So far the required shared folders and printers work as advertised, even though the names don't show up !!!!
What's a mother to do????

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/32342-computers-network-not-showing-up-correctly-windows-10-home.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello everyone I have been using this forum as a guest for quite sometime now and decided to join the forum as I really like the community here I have an issue w a home network I have that includes total computers Comp A Vista Home X PC that is wired into a WRT G router w Windows firewallComp B Windows XP Professional Laptop w Zone alarm free firewall connected to the network via wirelessComp C Vista Home Premium X Laptop w Windows firewall connected to the network via wireless Here are some notes to highlight what is 3 1 work Home (2 except... XP) of fine network computers Vista, going on Originally Comp A and Home network of 3 computers (2 Vista, 1 XP) work fine except... Comp B were networked together with no issuesYesterday I purchased Comp C and am trying to include this computer into the network Comp A and Comp B can communicate w no issues and both can access Comp C w no issuesComp C can access Comp B but CAN NOT acess Comp A All comps can PING each other w no issuesWhen Comp C tries to Access Comp A this Error message is displayed 'Comp A' is not accessible You might not have permission to use this network resource Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions Logon failure the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer All Comps A B and C have access to the network printer w no issuesThings I have tried to remedy the issue I have tried to turn off firewalls for Comp A and Comp CSpent a huge amount of time reseaching on the internet to no availNetwork discovery is on for Comp A and Comp CI tried to edit the settings for my WRT G router but didn't know what to doI know there are some other things I have tried but can't remember exactly I am very frustrated and really need your help I greatly appreciate everyone for taking the time and reading my post Please let me know if you have any questions Thank you CACPAGUY

A:Home network of 3 computers (2 Vista, 1 XP) work fine except...

Really good, well written post. Bumping it up and I hope someone can help you. BTW, are you running any anti-virus software? If so, did you turn them off?

Sky

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/244943-home-network-3-computers-2-vista-1-xp-work-fine-except.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I have a home network with several computers (2 laptops via WiFi, one ethernet-connected desktop) with internet via DSL, distributed with a Netgear WGR614 v.8. How do I set the system up to allow printing from any computer to a printer connected to one of the other computers? Should it matter what computer the printer is connected to? The Netgear manual is impenetrable on this issue for me.

A:Home network: How to make my printer accessible from other computers

Hi Zaphod81007 and welcome to TSG. Assuming all computers are running some version of MS-Windows, It should not matter which computer has the printer connected to it in order to be able to print from the other two computer. You would need to make sure that the computer hosting the printer is always on when you want to print from the other computers. It is a matter of first enabling sharing of the printer on the host computer and then adding the printer on the other two computers. The exact procedures will depend on which versions of Windows is running on each computer and any firewall software on the host computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network-how-to-make-my-printer-accessible-from-other-computers.1046495/
Relevancy 62.35%

I am trying to set up a simple homework and have gone through the instructions but the computers will not see each other. I am able to play LAN computer games but I am looking to share files between the 2. Any ideas?

Relevancy 62.35%

I'm thinking something similar to ftp, have no idea what options there are.

Have 3 computers want to network between both in a more convenient manner than msn.

Hopefully can get some recomendations to minimise trauling time. Both computers are running windows XP and are connected through a multi-port router.

Thanks for any input.

A:Home network, looking for server to share files between computers.

You should be able to do this simply WITHOUT a server. All you have to do to share files, is use windows file sharing. Let me paint a picture for you...say you have your 3 computers. One is named Suzy, one is Steve, and one is Bill. Once file sharing is enabled (which you can do just by sharing a file), you should be able to do something similar to this. Say your on the computer Bill, and you want to grab some files from the shared folder on Suzy. Open up my computer, and in the address bar (Where is says your location) type in \\Suzy. This will give you access to the files and printers on that computer. BTW if you dont know how to rename a computer, right click on the my computer icon and select properties. Once the system tool comes up, click on computer name and change if necessary. Good luck and I hope this helps make things cheaper than buying a crappy old server lol.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-network-looking-for-server-to-share-files-between-computers.71651/
Relevancy 61.92%

Running Windows XP Home Service Pack It seems that what I m trying to do should be simple Yet I ve literally been trying to do it for over a year I stumbled upon this forum so maybe you can make my dreams come true and actually give me a shared network angels singing Keep refusing Home Network computers Windows show Places" network to XP "My in mind I once Windows XP Home "My Network Places" refusing to show network computers had a shared network and everything was fine Then one day it mysteriously stopped and hasn t run since even after hundreds literally of attempts to set it up again For the moment all I want to do is have my computer we ll call this computer quot Sony Laptop quot appear in its own quot My Network Places quot window - not concerned with Windows XP Home "My Network Places" refusing to show network computers the other networked computer at the moment I have tried quot Set up a home or small office network quot and quot set up a wireless network for a home or small office quot dozens of times chosen every single combination possible completed them restarted but quot Sony Laptop quot still never appears in quot My Network Places quot I cannot for the life of me understand it If that s all the info you need please respond If you want more observations read below FRY S DESKTOP Windows XP Home "My Network Places" refusing to show network computers is connected to BELKIN ROUTER via ethernet SONY LAPTOP is connected to BELKIN ROUTER via wireless -- ethernet ----- FRY S DESKTOP BELKIN ROUTER --wireless -------SONY LAPTOP I can receive wireless internet with the SONY LAPTOP through the BELKIN ROUTER I can ping FRY S DESKTOP from SONY LAPTOP I cannot ping SONY LAPTOP from FRY S DESKTOP I tried pinging SONY LAPTOP through both the wireless IP address and a connected ethernet cable Local Area Connection IP address connected through the BELKIN ROUTER Neither worked Some things I ve encountered When I explore the network gt My Network Places gt Entire Network gt Microsoft Windows Network I get a funny message quot Unable to Browse the Network - The Network is not present or not started - For more information click Help quot Of course in classic Windows style when I click quot Help quot the window hangs and never goes anywhere kind of ironic - don t you think It s called quot Windows quot and can t function within a window I was told by some others that I should check the quot Services quot and more specifically Workstation Server TCP IP Netbios helper Computer Browser Now of those four two of them had not been started Workstation and Computer Browser I tried starting these double click them and up will pop a window that allows you to start but each of them came up with an error message Here are those two error messages Computer Browser quot Could not start the Computer Browser service on Local computer Error The dependency service or group failed to start quot Workstation quot Could not start the Workstation Service on Local Computer Error The specified module could not be found quot If anybody knows anything about these errors and how to fix them let mek now So that s it That s my experience so far As you can see I m neck deep in it and nothing would make me happier than finally figuring it out after months Chris nbsp

A:Windows XP Home "My Network Places" refusing to show network computers

You need to look at the dependency list for each service. In the case of Computer Browser, it's Workstation and Server.

Since Workstation is failing, that's probably the place to start.

Do you have WKSSVC.DLL in C:\Windows\system32? That's the workstation service, and it appears to be the missing module. I'd first try copying that from the installation disk, if it's missing, and then register it too by:

Start, Run, regsvr32 wkssvc.dll

If you can't find the DLL, you can run sfc /scannow to restore missing files.

A shortcut may be to download the file from DLL Dump and register it as described above.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-home-my-network-places-refusing-to-show-network-computers.536504/
Relevancy 61.92%

Here is the deal I am running Windows XP SP on my home tower custom built The tower is hardwired to a Linksys WRT GS Solved: office ready not Network printer home network will to connect router The tower does not have a wireless NIC There are a few other computers that access this small network at various Solved: Network ready printer will not connect to home office network times The router is using WPA-PSK encryption Wireless MAC address connectivity is enabled I bought an HP NW Laserjet printer and tried connecting it to the wireless network using the enclosed getting started guide I initially tried connecting it in ad hoc mode because I believe this is what I should use in my home office No dice Nothing was recognized The only printing success I got was when I hooked an Ethernet cable directly to the router After unplugging the cable I had no luck printing wirelessly even though I tried also configuring the installation for infrastructure mode where the printer was recognized but still would not print once the cable was removed I have taken the printer s MAC address and added it as a trusted endpoint in both my router s configuration table and in my firewall Norton Internet Security However that has also not helped Some advice I have read is making sure QoS is disabled on the router and also making sure that the SSID and pass key for the printer match that of the router It should be easy to make these changes to the printer but I cannot access the embedded web server in this printer to make these changes Also one source said to make sure the printer is on the same subnet as the router I only have one subnet in my network and that is the xx xx range of addresses that I use for two of my laptops with wireless NICs and a third Dell tower with a Linksys wireless NIC Any ideas on what else I can try I am pretty much out of ideas Thanks Elizabeth K nbsp

A:Solved: Network ready printer will not connect to home office network

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-network-ready-printer-will-not-connect-to-home-office-network.581074/
Relevancy 61.49%

Hello everyone I don't usually go the quot beg for help on an unknown forum quot route but I'm clearly out between computers WiFi 2 specific file home sharing on LAN network of my depth on this issue and hours of furious Googling and tweaking have not helped me one bit What I'm trying to do is trying to setup file sharing between computers connected by an LAN file sharing between 2 specific computers on home WiFi network ethernet cable So far so good except those computers are ALSO part of a Wifi network to connect to the internet through a wireless router There are other computers on this network other roommates that must NOT have access to anything shared on either on those computers I've tried fiddling with homegroups but the only homegroups we can create are on the WiFi network If I set the LAN connection to anything else but public by setting PC as a default gateway I can't get access to the internet anymore How on earth can I set that up properly if that's even possible EDIT my brain is so close to imploding that I forgot basic curtesy- Of course thank you in advance for your help

A:LAN file sharing between 2 specific computers on home WiFi network

Quote: Originally Posted by aljady

Hello everyone!

I don't usually go the "beg for help on an unknown forum" route but I'm clearly out of my depth on this issue and hours of furious Googling and tweaking have not helped me one bit.

What I'm trying to do is trying to setup file sharing between 2 computers connected by an ethernet cable.
So far so good, except those 2 computers are ALSO part of a Wifi network to connect to the internet through a wireless router. There are other computers on this network (other roommates) that must NOT have access to anything shared on either on those 2 computers.

I've tried fiddling with homegroups but the only homegroups we can create are on the WiFi network. If I set the LAN connection to anything else but public by setting PC2 as a default gateway, I can't get access to the internet anymore.

How on earth can I set that up properly, if that's even possible?

EDIT: my brain is so close to imploding that I forgot basic curtesy-

Of course, thank you in advance for your help.

Sounds to me like you are using ICS to create a secondary wired connection for the second machine.

You need to use the LAN ports on the router or a switch rather than sharing a connection using ICS "internet connection sharing". Homegroups won't work with ICS.

Once you are connected to the router with a regular LAN connection with both machines, you should have no problems setting up a Homegroup between those two machines.

Once the Homegroup is set up it will lock the other machines out of your shared C:>Users folders on both of the Homegroup machines. You will be able to share exclusively between those two machines while the other wireless machines will have no access unless you give it to them by adding Everyone to the shared with list.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/279372-lan-file-sharing-between-2-specific-computers-home-wifi-network.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Our home network comprises three computers an HP desktop first floor a Sony VAIO desktop first floor and a laptop basement The HP desktop is the network hub to which an ARRIS TM modem and Netgear Wireless G router WGR v are connected Until yesterday our network and cable internet service for all three computers worked without interruption for months Currently however only the HP and laptop are connected to the network and have internet service the Sony VAIO has quot limited connectivity quot an empty address bar when using the Firefox browser and a white screen Our ISP is Comcast By way of brief background when we bought the Sony VAIO about two years ago we plugged in the power cord and it immediately connected to the network and had internet service About six months later however its connection became sporadic so of Network: communicating service --no 1 Home not Solved: internet computers 3 we connected it to the network by ethernet cable Yesterday for the first time in months Solved: Home Network: 1 of 3 computers not communicating --no internet service we unplugged the Sony VAIO s ethernet cable and power cord to make room for a remodelling Solved: Home Network: 1 of 3 computers not communicating --no internet service project This appears to be the point when things went awry We moved the Sony VAIO into the kitchen during the remodelling project closer to Solved: Home Network: 1 of 3 computers not communicating --no internet service the HP and without the ethernet cable That is when we first noticed it only had quot limited connectivity quot an empty address bar and a white screen We then moved it back to its original location plugged in the ethernet cable and power cord and the result was the same limited connectivity an empty address bar and a white screen Finally we moved the Sony VAIO directly across the hall from the HP and still the same bad result We tried to do a System Restore on the Sony VAIO but for whatever reason we kept getting an error message We also variously unplugged the power cords from the router and modem waited a few minutes and plugged them back in without success Thanks in advance for possible resolutions nbsp

A:Solved: Home Network: 1 of 3 computers not communicating --no internet service

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-home-network-1-of-3-computers-not-communicating-no-internet-service.1010777/
Relevancy 61.49%

I guess I'm not as computer savy as I thought cause I can not seem to get this network set up. I want to be able to access files and such from my DeskTop on my LapTop. My Desktop runs windows2000 professional. My Laptop runs WindowsXP. I have cable net hooked into a d-link DI-604 Ethernet Broadband Router. Although my laptop is wi-fi enabled, both my computers are wired to said router for internet.

Every time I try to set up a network using the network wizard, it trys to connect to my neighbors wi-fi. I have disabled wi-fi on my laptop, and it still gets hung up here. It doesn't give me the option of setting up a network from the wired LAN hookup, however in network connections it does acknowlege the LAN connection, so it is there.

Any ideas? Am i totally getting this wrong?

A:Solved: Help with setting up a home network - 2 computers, XP, 2000, and a d-link

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-help-with-setting-up-a-home-network-2-computers-xp-2000-and-a-d-link.592344/
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi We are struggling with the google redirect virus on all virus Infected Google on network with computers home redirect all of the PCs on our home Infected with Google redirect virus on all home network computers network Main PC is a new i windows desktop also have a windows laptop and an XP desktop and XP laptop Im also concerned my daughters ipad is also infected as some google searches seem to redirect in a similar way I didnt think virus s would jump across the types Ive tried to follow the Prep Guide but unable to get DDS to run as my main pc thinks its an AutoCAD script and oply opens it in Notepad Followed another link on bleeping computers and downloaded RSIT Below is the Infected with Google redirect virus on all home network computers log Logfile of random s system information tool written by random random Run by User at - - Microsoft Windows Home Premium System drive C has GB free of GB Total RAM MB free Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Program Files x Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager IAAnotif exe C Program Files x Trusteer Rapport bin RapportService exe C Program Files x OpenOffice org program soffice exe C Program Files x OpenOffice org program soffice bin C Program Files x CyberLink Power Go CLMLSvc exe C Program Files x CyberLink PowerDVD PDVD Serv exe C Program Files x CyberLink Shared files brs exe C Program Files x Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWTray exe C Program Files x Brother Brmfcmon BrMfcWnd exe C Program Files x Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files x Brother ControlCenter brccMCtl exe C Program Files x SHARP Sharpdesk SharpTray exe C Program Files x Brother Brmfcmon BrMfimon exe C Program Files x SHARP Sharpdesk FTPServer exe C Program Files x iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files x Sharp Sharpdesk nsapp exe C Program Files x Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files x Mozilla Firefox plugin-container exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Windows SysWOW Macromed Flash FlashUtil k ActiveX exe C Users User Downloads RSIT exe C Program Files x trend micro User exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page www google co uk R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C Windows SysWOW blank htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar - EBBBE -BAD - B C- E A- ABECAE - c PROGRA mcafee SITEAD mcieplg dll F - REG system ini UserInit userinit exe O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO McAfee Phishing Filter - B A- - A -B -BE AFE AB - c progra mcafee msk mskapbho dll O - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C Program Files x Microsoft Office Office GrooveShellExtensions dll O - BHO scriptproxy - DB D A - - E -B D- F C - C Program Files x Common Files McAfee SystemCore ScriptSn dll O - BHO McAfee SiteAdvisor BHO - B E -A B - A -B - CD E A FF - c PROGRA mcafee SITEAD mcieplg dll O - BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files x Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - Toolbar McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar - EBBBE -BAD - B C- E A- ABECAE - c PROGRA mcafee SITEAD mcieplg ... Read more

A:Infected with Google redirect virus on all home network computers

Hello and Welcome to the forums! My name is Gringo and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems. Somethings to remember while we are working together.Do not run any other tool untill instructed to do so!Please Do not Attach logs or put in code boxes.Tell me about any problems that have occurred during the fix.Tell me of any other symptoms you may be having as these can help also.Do not run anything while running a fix.We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.Click on the Watch Topic Button and select Immediate Notification and click on proceed, this will help you to get notified faster when I have replied and make the cleaning process faster.In order for me to see the status of the infection I will need a new set of logs to start with.Please print out or make a copy in notpad of any instructions given, as sometimes it is necessary to go offline and you will lose access to them.DeFogger: Please download DeFogger to your desktop.

Double click DeFogger to run the tool.
The application window will appear Click the Disable button to disable your CD Emulation drivers Click Yes to continue A 'Finished!' message will appear Click OKDeFogger may ask you to reboot the machine, if it does - click OKDo not re-enable these drivers until otherwise instructed.Download DDS:Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the links below and save it to your desktop:
Download DDS and save it to your desktop

Link1
Link2
Link3

Please disable any anti-malware program that will block scripts from running before running DDS.

Double-Click on dds.scr and a command window will appear. This is normal.Shortly after two logs will appear:
DDS.txt Attach.txtA window will open instructing you save & post the logsSave the logs to a convenient place such as your desktopCopy the contents of both logs & post in your next replyScan With RKUnHookerPlease Download Rootkit Unhooker Save it to your desktop.extract RKUnhooker to your desktop
Note** it is zipped up in a .rar file - If you do not have a program to unzip this type of file
you can get a free one from here - http://www.7-zip.org/Now double-click on RKUnhookerLE.exe to run it.Click the Report tab, then click Scan.Check (Tick) Drivers, Stealth,. Uncheck the rest. then Click OK.Wait till the scanner has finished and then click File, Save Report.Save the report somewhere where you can find it. Click Close.Copy the entire contents of the report and paste it in a reply here.Note** you may get this warning it is ok, just ignore"Rootkit Unhooker has detected a parasite inside itself!It is recommended to remove parasite, okay?""just click on Cancel, then Accept".information and logs:In your next post I need the following1.logs from DDS2.log from RKUnHooker3.let me know of any problems you may have had[/list]Gringo

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/360563/infected-with-google-redirect-virus-on-all-home-network-computers/
Relevancy 61.49%

Hello I have in my house a small network consisting of two computers a Desktop and a Laptop The desktop is connected directly to a Cable modem I also have a Wireless-G access point connected to the modem and through this i can connect home Windows network computers is Firewall my blocking access on to my laptop to the Internet I have both computers setup in a workgroup sharing files between them Both computers are running Windows XP Home with service pack As far as i can see the Firewall configurations are the same in both computers I have enabled the UPnP framework and it worked fine for a while However when i turned off Windows Firewall is blocking access to computers on my home network both computers for the first time after setting up the network and turned them back on the Firewall on the desktop began blocking the laptop so it couldnt recognize it as part of the workgroup thus the network stopped working From the desktop i can access the laptop without any problems However from the laptop i cant access the desktop I get a message saying quot An error occurred while reconnecting to W to mapped drive from desktop name Microsoft Windows Network The local device name is already in use This connection has not been restored quot If I turn off the firewall the network connections work perfectly however i can t seem to get it to work with the firewall and i really don t like the idea of having the firewall turned off I really don t know what to try next so I would appreciate it very much if someone could help me out with this Thank you nbsp

A:Windows Firewall is blocking access to computers on my home network

I hate to suggest the obvious, but why not invest in a $30 wireless router? It'll solve this problem and a whole lot more.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-firewall-is-blocking-access-to-computers-on-my-home-network.562459/
Relevancy 61.49%

I don't have a Homegroup setup and file sharing is turned off, and yet there are several items listed under "Network" in File Explorer.

My two other computers are always listed there, even when they are turned off.

I can even access and browse one of these computers (when it is turned on) without providing a password.

The name of the computer I am using is also listed there.

My name of my brother laser printer is listed there, but I cannot access it this way.

The name of my router is listed there but I cannot access it this.

How do I control what shows up in my Network?

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/11067-how-manage-small-home-network-devices-computers-keep-showing-up.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Hello Switched over the internet service provider to Time Warner We are using the same router we have used before the switch which was also with Time Warner service provider and everything was working FINE before the switch But now with the new modem from service provider something is wrong -- My roommate is unable to connect her laptop and her phone to the wifi even though the network is being detected I can only connect to my laptop which was the laptop I had opened to verify connectivity when the Technician was there Also my I-phone is unable to connect to the network even though it detects it It s very odd considering we had the technician come out to resolve this issue in the first place Could it be that the DHCP server has been turned off so it s allowing only one device to connect to the one IP address on the modem Or wifi to to Unable connect home devices multiple do we need to delete the wifi Unable to connect multiple devices to home wifi networks off of our computers and other devices My roommate tried that on her devices and still didn t connect Please help nbsp

A:Unable to connect multiple devices to home wifi

Do you know if your new modem includes WiFi? Is so, when you tested the connection with the technician present, did they have you connect wirelessly to your existing wireless router or to the modem itself?

Assuming you are running some version of Windows on the computer that can connect, please go into the Windows DOS/Command prompt screen and run an IPCONFIG /ALL command. Then copy and paste the complete results of the command here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-connect-multiple-devices-to-home-wifi.1129490/