Windows Support Forum

Vista boots into blue screen w/ cursor (black screen in safe mode)

Q: Vista boots into blue screen w/ cursor (black screen in safe mode)

Windows appears to load normally until reaching the logon screen at which point 2 quick cmd windows flash on the screen and i'm left with a cursor and a plain blue screen.

No access to task manager through ctrl+alt+del.

I was thinking it's a video card problem until i plugged in an external monitor and saw a windows error box pop up saying that the program running requires that you not be on battery power.

Pulled the drive and scanned with avast and malwarebytes which found nothing.

Inserted Vista DVD but the repair function is only able to find the HP Restore partition and is unable to locate any backups.

The system runs "mini XP" from Hirens Boot without a problem, but no diagnostics that i ran have been able to find any issues...

Ideas?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/371560/vista-boots-into-blue-screen-w-cursor-black-screen-in-safe-mode/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Vista boots into blue screen w/ cursor (black screen in safe mode)

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 104.16%

I m having a problem with my Dell Dimension running Windows XP I have an g Maxtor HD as my main drive and a g WD secondary drive When I attempt to boot I get a blue screen with the message A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer If this is he first time you ve seen this Stop error screen restart your computer If this screen appears again Screen Can't Black Blue (Standard Screen w/cursor Mode), boot then XP Windows Safe or follow these steps Check to be sure you have adequate disk space If a driver is identified in the Stop message disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates Try changing video adapters Check with your Can't boot Windows XP (Standard or Safe Mode), Black Screen w/cursor then Blue Screen hardware vendorm for any BIOS updates Can't boot Windows XP (Standard or Safe Mode), Black Screen w/cursor then Blue Screen Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components restart your computer press F to select Advanced Startup Options and then select Can't boot Windows XP (Standard or Safe Mode), Black Screen w/cursor then Blue Screen Safe Mode Technical Information STOP x E xC xF BB B xF E AO xF E AO FLTMGR SYS - Address F BB B base at F A DateStamp daAs far as the info in the message I see this screen with the same info everytime I rebooted As far as disk space my main drive is g aand I have about g of free space I m not sure if anything in the message refers to drivers Not sure how to change video adapters when I can t get into Windows Standard Mode or Safe Mode Also not sure how to deal with any of the BIOS suggestions or even know if it s a good idea to mess with it Again I cannot even boot to Safe Mode It takes me to the same Blue Screen message I have been able to boot from the CD I get to the Windows Setup screen it loads files It then says it s Starting Windows then takes me to the Windows XP Home Edition Setup It gives me the choices To set up Window XP now press Enter To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console press R To quit Setup without installing Windows XP press F I pressed R and in the Recovery Console it shows C WINDOWSI press as this is the only Windows installation I have It then takes me to the Command Prompt C WINDOWS gt I have run CHKDSK and got this message The volume appears to be in good condition and was not checked Use p if you want to check the volume anyway kb total disk space kb are available bytes in each allocation unit total allocation units on disk allocation units available on disk I have also run CHKDSK r and it found and fixed one or more errors After I exited and tried to reboot from the HD and got the same BSOD with same message I don t know if this is a virus or hardware software problem I do have Malwarebytes Anti-Virus and Norton on the PC but without Windows XP I m not sure how to run them I have also booted from Hirems Boot CD and have run all the hardware tests checked HDs memory video etc I could and have found no problems Any light you could shed on this would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance Dave

A:Can't boot Windows XP (Standard or Safe Mode), Black Screen w/cursor then Blue Screen

mod bump

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/385215/cant-boot-windows-xp-standard-or-safe-mode-black-screen-wcursor-then-blue-screen/
Relevancy 94.86%

Having an issue with a laptop that has Vista installed.  I am getting the dredded black screen with movable white cursor.  There are no system restores available and I cannot start in Safe Mode.  I can start from a recovery disk to access the command prompt

I have seen many people running FRST in this forum for the same issue.  I was wondering if anyone would be able to try and assist me and, if they recommend me attempting to use the FRST program, I can post the results.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/542963/vista-black-screen-white-cursor-no-restore-or-safe-mode-working/
Relevancy 89.28%

Having a problem with my sister s XP system It boots up fine normally then Norton pops up a warning that trojan vundo has been found and can t be automatically removed Went to the Symantec site and downloaded their manual remover and followed the instructions restore off disconnect from the net etc The scanner remover runs safe XP screen a black to boots mode and does locate a few files that it says are suspicious then pops up at the end and says that trojan vundo has not been found The warning message never disappears from the screen at any time I then XP safe mode boots to a black screen tried to boot the computer in safe mode to attempt the same scan remove This is where my real problem occurs the safe mode prompts all work as advertised eventually reaching the welcome screen with a default graphics driver I select ANY username and the system completes booting into a safe mode window complete with the words quot Safe Mode quot in all four corners and absolutely nothing else It s a totally black screen No icons No start button No nothing The mouse navigates but no amount of clicking or double clicking does anything I can ctrl-alt-del and produce the task manager I can tab between the applications processes networking and such and XP safe mode boots to a black screen have to eventually use the task manager to either log off exit windows or restart the computer At this point I m more concerned about the safe mode failure than I am the trojan I can solve that problem with one of several scanners that I ve downloaded but I really want to knock out this black screen Any ideas nbsp

Relevancy 88.35%

Hello I am having a problem One of our computers will only boot in safe If I try to boot in Normal or Safe with networking I get a blue screen Symptoms before this problem It had several fake quot Anti Virus quot programs Unfortunately I cant remember their names I know one was defender exe Please Please help with this one Below are the needed files as requested in the Sticky thread Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Safe mode Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe in Blue Safe Mode, Screen Boots only C Program Files Sunbelt Software SBEAgent SBAMSvc exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE H Utilites HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http g msn com HPCOM R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar Boots only in Safe Mode, Blue Screen http www bing com sphome aspx mkt SUB RFC R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http www bing com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http g msn com HPCOM R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http g msn com HPCOM R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant http www bing com sphome aspx mkt SUB RFC O - Hosts www google com O - Hosts search yahoo com O - Hosts www bing com O - BHO Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - EFB- B - ECA - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO Search Helper - EBF - F- bff-A F-B E AAC B - C Program Files Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack Search Helper SearchHelper dll O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Boots only in Safe Mode, Blue Screen Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO Windows Live Toolbar Helper - E A DC - - A - EA-DC EC ACF - C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar wltcore dll O - BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class - E E F - CE- C -BC -EABFE F C - C Program Files Java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll O - Toolbar amp Windows Live Toolbar - FA EF- D- D - B F- A D - C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar wltcore dll O - Toolbar no name - BF - F - - - FE E AA - no file O - HKLM Run Adobe Reader Speed Launcher quot C Program Files Adobe Reader Reader Reader sl exe quot O - HKLM Run Adobe ARM quot C Program Files Common Files Adobe ARM AdobeARM exe quot O - HKLM Run SBAMTray quot C Program Files Sunbelt Software SBEAgent SBAMTray exe quot O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run masqform exe C Program Files PureEdge Viewer masqform exe -RunOnce O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run Verizon McciTrayApp quot C Program Files Verizon McciTrayApp exe quot O - HKLM Run KernelFaultCheck systemroot system dumprep -k O - HKLM RunOnce Malwarebytes Anti-Malware C Program Files Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamgui exe install silent O - HKUS S- - - Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe User SYSTEM O - HKUS DEFAULT Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe User Default user O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C PROGRA MICROS Office EXCEL EXE O - Extra button Research - B - CC- C -B BE- C C A - C PROGRA MICROS Office REFIEBAR DLL O - Extra button no na... Read more

A:Boots only in Safe Mode, Blue Screen

anyone please?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boots-only-in-safe-mode-blue-screen.1015300/
Relevancy 88.04%

st Post HP Pavilion laptop AMD Turion X Vista SP with update as of early January Always have problems booting specifically hard disc errors reported chkdsk Boots black on arrow cursor to screen Vista runs fixes problems boots up Then seemed like hard disc crashed New hard disk Vista Boots to cursor arrow on black screen and reinstall Vista and apps supplied by HP with recovery disc There is no quot repair quot option or I can't find it Replaced disc again Same problems Am convinced it is Vista hosing my laptop up New problem Windows boots to a black screen with the cursor arrow in the center I can move the cursor with the mouse but that is all it will do No other key strkes seem to have an effect In lieu of formatting and re-installing the OS and apps per the HP supplied recovery CD's is there anyway to get past this F does not give a quot repair Vista Boots to cursor arrow on black screen quot option I'll upgrade to Windows as soon as this is recovered Hate to loose my data and have to reinstall all after market apps AGAIN Thanks in advance for any guidance John

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-boots-to-cursor-arrow-on-black-screen-468736.html
Relevancy 87.42%

Hello I recently had my laptop fail in a strange Cursor, Safe Black Screen mode with too. way My gf handed me the laptop after trying to load Minecraft It crashed the computer to Black Screen with Cursor, Safe mode too. a BSOD and I attempted a system restore I'm sure the BSOD was related to my graphics card Nvidia It looked like Black Screen with Cursor, Safe mode too. it had succeeded yet after several hours the restore ended and reported failure I restarted and loaded into safe mode w command prompt It loads into windows fine at least it seems because I am left with a cursor and a black background screen I can move the mouse about I press alt ctrl del and no dialog box appears I tried the stickykeys trick but that wont show up let alone I'd disabled it in the past I am stuck at this black window with a cursor I then scanned the HDD by taking it out and using my external bay I used chkdsk r and it found something with a bitmap error It corrected the volume I also used sfc scannow pointing toward the external drive pulled HDD from my laptop Again nothing found out of the ordinary I thought the original chkdsk scan worked I put the laptop back together and Same results Black screen with cursor in safemode all options and regular boot I have followed these posts tutorials so far tl dr Black Screen with cursor in all boot modes after following other searched posts guides still broke http www bleepingcomputer com forums t black-screen-on-startup-cant-load-safe-mode iframe I also tried Avira Rescue System and it failed after scanning I am also trying another homebrew rescue disk I downloaded That bootdisc did not find errors with my boot partition because I can boot fine

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/628864/black-screen-with-cursor-safe-mode-too/
Relevancy 87.42%

Am in abit of trouble here what's happening is I can't get back into Windows am getting black screen with cursor I tried many diff things with no avail and also left it into computer repair shop and they tell me I have a damaged partition and that the only way around it is a fresh reinstall which I don't want, am just wondering is their any other way around to retrieving data with some kind of software I could use? Thanks in advance

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/597393/black-screen-with-cursor-no-safe-mode/
Relevancy 87.42%

Hello I am trying to fix an HP G - DX Notebook PC Operating to safe From then screen screen and lock blue blink black mode, caps sys Win bit AMD Turion tm II Dual-Core Processor GB GHz I had this laptop since December of and on June of is when I used my notebook PC and was initially of no use I have been working on my laptop on and off since I am not afraid to open the sucker up and get this thing up and running The problem started out with what most ppl call it the quot blue screen of death quot Like most ppl I did ignore the blue screen and did a restart which brought me to the normal Windows screen From blue screen to safe mode, then black screen and caps lock blink and then it would start back up just fine I found this in Device From blue screen to safe mode, then black screen and caps lock blink Manager s Hidden Files Non-Plug and Play Drivers - ehdrv - epfwwfp - Security Processor Loader Driver I am not sure if it has anything to do with what it was the blue screen situation but I tried searching on the net on what it all meant and to see if I was able to fix it but before I was able to do something about it the blue screen kept From blue screen to safe mode, then black screen and caps lock blink popping up and it was getting worse The problem progressed to where on Windows startup it would just stop there blue screen would pop up and of course I had to restart it and do an F key press for Safe Mode I had to work on Safe Mode for a good couple of weeks before I can figure out the problem s I believe I had went into the system and found out it had something to do with some kind of error sigh I did write it down but that was like a month ago and I am unable to locate my notes It s frustrating being careless Any way my notebook PC will not start at all I did remove the battery and left the adapter plugged in to removing the adapter and doing a hard reset no justice The notebook would sound like it is about to start but all you can hear is the fan running and the lights with the caps lock blink sequence of ONCE every - seconds no beeping sound I may have changed something though I went as far as learning how to properly with the static free bracelette unscrewed the laptop apart to see if cleaning the fan would be the cause of it Nothing happened but instead of the caps lock blinking ONCE every - seconds it would blink TWICE every - seconds So I went back and checked if everything was put back together memory stick and such and now when i restart it it would BEEP times and the caps lock would blink THRICE every - seconds And so here I am Please help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/from-blue-screen-to-safe-mode-then-black-screen-and-caps-lock-blink.1104596/
Relevancy 87.42%

Hello I am dealing with a problem a few days now and I can t find a solution for it When i boot my pc windows load to desktop and after a minute or so i get a blue screen with the error message QUOTESTOP x E xC x AC xB C x Also nod icon was red but i couldn t click on it windows were in Safe PC Boots Blue Screen, Infected, only Mode buzy Infected, Blue Screen, PC only Boots in Safe Mode loading other programs I booted pc in safe mode and tried to run nod but it wouldn t start I uninstalled it and tried to install Kaspersky but due to safe mode i couldn t install it I then downloaded malwarebytes and run a full scan This is the log from the scan QUOTEMalwarebytes Anti-Malware Database version Windows Service Pack Safe Mode Internet Explorer mbam-log- - - - - txtScan type Full Scan C G H Objects scanned Time elapsed hour s minute s second s Memory Processes Infected Memory Modules Infected Registry Keys Infected Registry Values Infected Registry Data Items Infected Folders Infected Files Infected Memory Processes Infected No malicious items detected Memory Modules Infected No malicious items detected Registry Keys Infected HKEY USERS DEFAULT SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer ad - b- f -c -b baa f Backdoor Bot - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully HKEY USERS DEFAULT SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer bf cd -c d - - bb - f c b dc Backdoor Bot - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully HKEY USERS DEFAULT SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer e cec- -a ee- - a bc Backdoor Bot - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully HKEY USERS S- - - SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer ad - b- f -c -b baa f Backdoor Bot - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully Infected, Blue Screen, PC only Boots in Safe Mode HKEY USERS S- - - SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer bf cd -c d - - bb - f c b dc Backdoor Bot - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully HKEY USERS S- - - SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer e cec- -a ee- - a bc Backdoor Bot - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully Registry Values Infected HKEY USERS DEFAULT SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer ffac - b - - - f a Trojan Agent - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully HKEY USERS S- - - SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer ffac - b - - - f a Trojan Agent - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Network uid Malware Trace - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully Registry Data Items Infected HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Winlogon Userinit Hijack Userinit - gt Bad C WINDOWS system userinit exe C WINDOWS system ntos exe Good Userinit exe - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully Folders Infected C Documents and Settings LocalService Application Data wsnpoem Trojan Agent - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully C Documents and Settings NetworkService Application Data wsnpoem Trojan Agent - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully Files Infected C Documents and Settings User Local Settings Temporary Internet files Content IE GNUV M juicyaccess installer exe Trojan BHO - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully C Documents and Settings LocalService Application Data wsnpoem audio dll Trojan Agent - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully C Documents and Settings NetworkService Application Data wsnpoem audio dll Trojan Agent - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully C Documents and Settings User Local Settings Temporary Internet Files pse ell exe Trojan Agent - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully I restarted my pc in normal mode but same thing happened Windows loads to desktop and after a while i get the same bsod I then booted windows to safe mode again and run another scan with malwarebytes Here is the log QUOTEMalwarebytes Anti-Malware Database version Windows Service Pack Safe Mode Internet Explorer mbam-log- - - - - txtScan type Full Scan A C D F G H I Objects scanned Time ela... Read more

A:Infected, Blue Screen, PC only Boots in Safe Mode

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HEREPlease download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main MirrorThis version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped MirrorThis version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/290910/infected-blue-screen-pc-only-boots-in-safe-mode/
Relevancy 86.8%

I received the following error message when I attempted to restart my computer:

C0000218 Unknown Hard Error

When I restarted after the blue screen it went into a check disk but would not finish the scan.

I have tried to start the computer in safe mode with internet connection and after a few minutes the screen goes black. I've tried to start it using last known configuration and the screen goes black. Everything I try ~ the screen goes black.

Help!!!!

A:Blue screen & now won't start in safe mode, screen goes black

I'm writing from my husband's laptop because my desktop is completely dead.

We were out of town for several days and when we returned my desktop was running very slow so I attempted to restart it. It locked up, I pressed/held the power button and when it restarted it attempted to run a disk check. The disk check locked up and I had to press/hold the power button again. When it restarted I got a blue screen ~ stop: C0000218 unknown hard error.

Sometimes when I attempt to restart it I get: checking file system on C:
file system = NTFS

When I attempt to restart it in safe mode, safe mode with networking or starting in last known good configuration I get . . .

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\appPatch\drvmain.sdb
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\drivers\ . . . (various items)

Now it won't start, not even in safe mode. Everything I try ~ I just get a black screen.

** I just tried to restart AGAIN and it ran disk scan, said it had completed disk scan and would restart, the screen went black when it attempted to restart and the screen is still black and it won't restart.

What can I do to get my computer back?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blue-screen-now-wont-start-in-safe-mode-screen-goes-black.811055/
Relevancy 86.49%

I decided to start a different topic because an earlier issue became something else. Earlier I was experiencing problems with thumbnails being mixed up and a system restore was suggested.
Before the system restore I also followed a guide which detailed specific Windows updates to uninstall (something to do with tracking software).
It's worth mentioning that I've been able to restart normally after uninstalling certain tracking-related things.
After attempting a system restore I got stuck on a black screen with an active cursor. I can't get into safe mode and nothing in the repair options seems to be helping. I don't have a Windows 7 CD.

A:Black Screen & Active Cursor, can't get into safe mode

Please close this topic. I somehow managed to get back into my computer after a long repair scan (that didn't work before).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/611295/black-screen-active-cursor-cant-get-into-safe-mode/
Relevancy 86.49%

Hi TechGuys and Gals,

Everything was as normal with my Win7 PC yesterday. Late in the afternoon I walked away from it, screen saver came on, and when I returned, the screen was black. I did a system shut down with the power button for the night.

This morning, I turned it back on. I can get to the logon page, login, and then it goes black with NO cursor. I try to get to Task Manager but no go. I F8'd so I could open in safe mode, but that went to black just the same.

The only thing I did 2 days ago was run a short .exe that was a fix for a bug in the Neat company software I use. I can only think that the screensaver caused this.

Anyhow, does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Thank you!

Sunny

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-problem-no-cursor-no-tsk-mgr-no-safe-mode-help.1064462/
Relevancy 86.49%

Hello AMD Phenom x Quad Core Processor Gb System Memory Gb Hard Drive ATI Raedon HD Windows Vista Home Premium bit SP Mother Board - M N -LA My Problem Computer starts up passes that Functions Keys screen and goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor I cannot do the F thing to enter Safe Mode and non of the quot F buttons Fll or F whatever quot will give me the option to Blinking Black Safe screen, Cursor, Mode no use the Restore Points feature I have tried resetting BIOS and CMOS by moving jumper pins around on the motherboard even removed the motherboard battery and replaced it following other internet articles about my motherboard and how to do it all did nothing I have a CD called quot Ultimate Boot-up CD quot and it will Run this is the CD that got me in trouble and in this situation ONLY because i was messing around with features that I was ignorant about If it matters this Ultimate Boot-up CD also has a program on it called quot Partedmagic quot it is supposed to be for partitioning or something but only through this program am I able to access the internet through Firefox I also have access to a laptop with the ability to Blinking Cursor, Black screen, no Safe Mode burn CD s not DVD if I need to create some other boot up CD to fix this Why I think This Happened Attempted to use quot Ultimate Boot-up CD quot to retrieve photographs from a Ten year old Hard Drive from my very first computer Maxtor Gb My new computer currently mr blinking cursor black screen has connections for IDE cables that I hooked up to the old Maxtor HD my computer recognized that the Maxtor HD was there but I was always unable to access it i tried to Initialize the HD based on other internet articles that I read nothing happened So I began to use quot Ultimate Boot-up CD quot one of the programs it has it called quot HD Clone quot This is where I got in trouble I think I ran this cloning program telling it to clone my Old Maxtor to my Newe HD as the program was running I got a hunch that this was not right and aborted the process after about seconds and apparently some data was transferred about Mb or Mb it wasn t much Nothing seemed out of place at the moment I pulled the quot Ultimate Boot-up CD quot out to the computer and powered down when I powered up again no boot-up cd in computer everything went from the Functions Keys screen to the currently Black Screen with Blinking Cursor Also sometimes the blinking cursor screen says quot Disk Boot Failure quot At the moment I do have Recovery CD s that I purchased from the manufacturer but they will be a last resort since the only option they give me is to reformat my computer and lose all my data If anyone can help me recover my computer without any data loss I would appreciate it if I need to download another boot-up repair CD I will and please suggest one for me nbsp

A:Blinking Cursor, Black screen, no Safe Mode

Have you removed the Maxtor 40GB drive from the system? If not, give this a shot and see what happens for starters.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blinking-cursor-black-screen-no-safe-mode.1056313/
Relevancy 86.49%

Last week my laptop had trouble starting up, it had a problem with atidvag.dll if I recall. I wasn't sure what to do but I got lucky and after a few attempts in managed to boot. Now however it doesn't even get to the point where it could tell me what is wrong, no Windows logo. Just straight in black screen with a cursor in the top left. F2 will take me to BIOS (if I am quick), but no other keys work. Booted onto installation media to try startup repair, no joy, rollback also no joy, tried using command line following the instructions here to force a boot into safe mode but no joy.

I am out of ideas, so any assistance would be appreciated.

A:Black Screen and Cursor. No safe mode access.

I hope you can get it going...when you do here are some options to get to safe mode

I think because of the change in bios or the way it boots up you cannot hit F8 fast enough to get safe mode.
Here is an option for a dual boot...safe mode and normal.
Safe Mode - Add to Windows Boot Manager in Windows 8

Also if you are already in windows get to msconfig then select boot and check safe mode startup.

Just a couple of ideas that might be of some use at some point.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/34043-black-screen-cursor-no-safe-mode-access.html
Relevancy 86.49%

Hello all my BSOD problems are thankfully a thing of the past mode Black screen with cursor, safe works now Black screen with cursor, safe mode works However I have a new issue that has been quite confusing to me When I log in to Windows normally I m presented with a black screen and Black screen with cursor, safe mode works a cursor Through findings of my own I ve found that it s because windows explorer is failing to launch Upon trying to start it by opening the task manager via CTRL SHIFT ESC and opening a new task I m presented with an error code that tells me windows explorer failed to launch I believe the code was something like x I m currently at work and don t remember it exactly off the top of my head So I attempted to restart in safe mode and that worked perfectly fine I ran my virus scanner Kaspersky Internet Security and found no threats I then attempted a system restore and that failed to complete for an unknown reason The next time I tried logging in to windows normally it gave me the black screen again After some frustration I gave up on trying to fix it for a while and shut the computer down After turning it on however I was able to open windows explorer manually through the same method I mentioned earlier and it actually opened this time I ran the sfc scan through the administrator s privilege command prompt and was told that there were files that were corrupted but could not be repaired I don t have a windows CD and am not sure where to go from here Should I start my computer on safe mode with networking and upload the CBS log file to this thread Thanks in advance for any and all help Edit I forgot to mention that when my computer successfully opened windows explorer any window that required internet access didn t open correctly For example Mozilla would open but the window wouldn t appear The same thing happened with the Battle net program nbsp

A:Black screen with cursor, safe mode works

Here is the CBS log I mentioned in the OP. Not sure which information is relevant, but I had to trim most of the document and left just the most recent stuff from the very bottom.

Another note is that upon starting in safe mode, I received a message saying that System Restore did not work, and that an unexpected error occurred while the computer was attempting the restore.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-with-cursor-safe-mode-works.1151882/
Relevancy 86.49%

Hi,

I seem to be having the very common problem of a black screen with just a moving cursor. I have tried Safe Mode, Last Good Configuration, and every other option in the F8 menu, but always just the black screen.

I have brought it to a computer shop, where they told me to re-install everything. This is not an option now. I want to make sure that I have tried everything to get my data back, before even thinking about re-installing. 

I read about FRST64 and wondered how to continue, because obviously I do not understand anything about logs, and I don't know if this FRST64 can fix it on it's own, or just scans for problems. And if it just scans, then what do I do with that?

Some guidance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Suzanne

A:Black screen - moving cursor - no safe mode

If you can't boot into Windows you can't run FRST64, so that is not an option. This problem is pretty common, unfortunately it could be caused by one of several reasons, hardware (ex. RAM), software (windows or driver/s), or an infection. Just to set your mind at ease, you can use a program like Ubuntu to recover your data.  To do this use the instructions below. Please download Ubuntu, you will need to burn this to a CD in order to make a bootable disc.   To burn a ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it. Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.  Click on the Browse for a file icon:  Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button. Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable CD.  Please note:  In order to boot from this disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS to make the CD/DVD-ROM the first device in the boot order, and the hdd the second device. At HowToGeek there is a good tutorial for using Ubuntu to recover data from a hdd. What is the Make and model of this computer? One thing which we can do is to do a repair installation of Windows 7.  ***Edit:  Please excuse the duplicated instructions for burning a disc.  Both set of instructions contain this information.*** Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation. A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc. If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download.   Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.  Part A, Steps 1a - 6a The ISO image will need to be burned to a DVD in order to create a bootable installation disc. 1a)  To burn a ISO file to a DVD please download ImgBurn and install it. 2a)  Insert a blank DVD into your CD/DVD drive tray, and then close the tray. 3a)  Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.  4a)  Click on the Browse for a file icon:  5a)  Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button. 6a)  Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable DVD.   Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.  Part B, Steps 1b - 10b 1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer. 2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy. At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes. 3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use. After this is done click on Next.  4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window. This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.  5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes. No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.  6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next  7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.  ... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/509336/black-screen-moving-cursor-no-safe-mode/
Relevancy 86.49%

Hi everyone Screen While up in boots Virus? Mode Safe system with w/Black Networking, I have a all in one DELL Insprion ONE Intel b OS My computer started getting slow and soon even Malwarebytes wouldn't even run I'm in Canada and use McAfee supplied by Virus? While in Safe Mode with Networking, system boots up w/Black Screen my internet provider Shaw I successfully booted in safe mode no networking and successfully ran a scan using Malwarebytes The program found over files which Malwarebytes has quarantined I believe the next step to run an antivirus to check for viruses I tired to boot into safe mode with networking but Virus? While in Safe Mode with Networking, system boots up w/Black Screen I get this loads WIndows I choose my login icon and enter my password then I get a black screen with a mouse cursor I also booted into normal windows mode I choose my login icon and enter my password I get a black screen with a mouse cursor I have tried to download an antivirus program to scan for viruses but all my downloads require an active internet connection to complete the installation In safemode I try to run McAfee AV the program starts but the program just hangs so I'm assuming I have a virus that prevents programs from launching Can anyone suggest next steps Thanks Ed

A:Virus? While in Safe Mode with Networking, system boots up w/Black Screen

Mod Edit:  Not necessary to repost, topic moved to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

Yes something that preventing you from connecting to network/internet. Go to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

and post your issue there to solve malware problems. Read this before posting
Hope it helps.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/610329/virus-while-in-safe-mode-with-networking-system-boots-up-wblack-screen/
Relevancy 86.49%

Unique!!Window 7 7601 not genuine,black screen,only boots in safe mode

However, i have only black screen and mouse curser and "windows 7 ...not genuine" those words at the right hand corner. Nothing else and no more actions could be done on the normal mode although i can move the mouse curser.

Everything works normal in safe mode. i the safe mode i can access usb and network.

Please help to solve the problem with me !!! A lot of thx!!

i receive such a message when i use the software for diagnosis.

A:SOS!!Window 7 7601 not genuine,black screen,only boots in safe mode

Welcome thken.
You need to post your problem here.

Windows Updates & Activation - Windows 7 Help Forums

Please follow these instructions when you get to that section of our Forum.

Windows Genuine and Activation Issue Posting Instructions

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/298880-sos-window-7-7601-not-genuine-black-screen-only-boots-safe-mode.html
Relevancy 86.49%

Hi Guys

I have looked at the forums for any previous probs like this but maybe i can't see the woods for ther trees??

I have a laptop, which was working fine. It now wont boot. I get the options to Boot to last Know configuration - this desn't work, just brings me back to same page.
Boot into Safe MOde With Networking or Safe mode - these two get a little further. A list of drivers being installed appears, but then it sticks and does nothing!!

System restore does not work

Sometimes a blue screen pops up With a *** STOP error message and then it sticks on that.

ANy suggestions about where to start with this......i have a hammer and a blowtorch if that will help

Thanks for any help
Neil

A:Laptop Boots to a blue screen OR sticks before Safe Mode

Be sure to let it stay on the driver screen when loading in Safe Mode for a couple of minutes at least, before giving up.

When you get the Blue Screen, note the Stop message parameters, and especially the driver file if mentioned.

Do you have an XP CD that can be used for a reinstall?

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-boots-to-a-blue-screen-or-sticks-before-safe-mode.483582/
Relevancy 85.56%

So, basically the problem with my computer is that when i start windows normally it gives me a black screen with cursor. I searched in this forum and other forums for help but nothing helped. i tried loading in safe mode but it hangs in classpnp.sys, tried restoring, tried recovery options still doesn't work. Also, tried re-installing windows, but when pressing install it would give message on the screen "Setup is starting..." and it just loads, and nothing happens, i gave it an hour or two before i gave up. I am sure the CD is fine because it worked on the same pc before. It is windows ultimate 32 and 64 bit and computer supports both.
I have a Dell computer and it is not old, I bought it like 6months ago. If anyone could help, i would really appreciate it. Thanks

A:Black screen with cursor, safe mode wont load

Hi Gloom . Welcome to Sevenforums

See if this works for you

Information

1) Power on the laptop
2) Press F2 key to enter the BIOS
3) Go to "Advanced" menu
4) Go down to "System Config"
5) Change SATA Controller from "AHCI" to "Compatibility(IDE)"
6) Press F10 to save and exit

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/282227-black-screen-cursor-safe-mode-wont-load.html
Relevancy 85.56%

Firstly I'm on Win Over the last few weeks I've works on Screen with Cursor startup, mode Safe Black noticed that after starting up my laptop and logging in just fine the Black Screen with Cursor on startup, Safe mode works screen would go black for a couple of seconds-- my cursor would appear and I could move it around but the screen would be black After seconds or so the Win GUI would load just fine and there I would be I restarted my PC at AM this morning and it did the same All I did at that point was send an e-mail via Gmail and shut it down again At PM I went to startup my PC and everything went as usual except the PC never left that black screen with the responsive cursor I searched here and found that problem many times but with one difference-- my PC starts fine in Safe Mode I used Advanced System Care to fix some registry errors and am currently running a Malwarebytes full scan It might be worth noting that I recently installed Batman Arkham Asylum and as it was frequently crashing followed some advice to enable everything at startup which I did fixing my game problem That was around the time the black screen first started showing up and I assumed it was a result of more things taking place during Windows startup Thanks in advance

A:Black Screen with Cursor on startup, Safe mode works

Please follow http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...tructions.html so we can assist you better.

-Justin

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/242920-black-screen-cursor-startup-safe-mode-works.html
Relevancy 85.56%

Hello all first time post Earlier this week my HP desktop forced shutdown while browsing the Internet using IE Upon reboot the HP screen loaded afterwards a black screen with a flashing cursor appeared I had used CTRL mode. Cursor. Black With safe Screen Flashing Cannot access ALT DEL function in which my computer rebooted Showed the HP screen and immediately showed the black screen with a flashing cursor Again no mouse cursor was available I performed a diagnostics check in which the CPU HDD etc checked out restored BIOS to factory settings even placing the HDD as priority I inserted the Windows recovery disk and attempted a start up repair and a restore point with no favorable results Through the recovery disks command prompt I accessed all my music and documents so Black Screen With Flashing Cursor. Cannot access safe mode. I assume the hard drive is still functioning I'm thinking as a last resort of performing a repartitioning of my hard drive and performing a clean install of Windows Any ideas on what I can do to solve this problem Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you Anthony

A:Black Screen With Flashing Cursor. Cannot access safe mode.

I've had this problem before on a clients machine and the problem was with the "MBR" (master boot record)

Have a looky over here pal, maybe this might help

MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record

Use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/257680-black-screen-flashing-cursor-cannot-access-safe-mode.html
Relevancy 85.56%

I have been going crazy with these types of issues. Windows 7 boots to a black screen with a mouse cursor that I can move.  However I cannot boot into windows normally or in safe mode .  Things I have tried that have been unsuccessful are.

Sytem repair from OS disk
System restore (no restore points)
ChkDsk
Virus scans from Hirems boot disk
Fix Boot Fix MBR
Last known Good Configuration
Command prompt from os disk and checked HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon  Shell value = Explorer.exe  and userinit value = C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe
Mawarebytes PE bootdisk 
I'm sure I'm missing other things I have tried.   The only time I have been able to resolve these without reimaging is when there was a restore point.  I really need to figure out what I'm not doing before I end up losing it haha.  

Thanks for any help you can provide.

A:Black Screen with Mouse cursor only in both normal and safe mode

I will ask another that handles these non -booters to look here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/522652/black-screen-with-mouse-cursor-only-in-both-normal-and-safe-mode/
Relevancy 85.56%

Hello,

My Father was watching a video and since then the only thing on his laptop is a black screen with a white cursor. Pressing control alt delete brings you to the usual screen where you have options to start task manager, restart/shut down the computer. Starting the task manager simply brings you back to the black screen with the white cursor. Selecting to restart or shut down the computer will briefly show the desktop while it's either shutting down or restarting. Which leads me to believe that the black screen is something running, possibly related to the video that he was watching, that won't release 'focus' for lack of a better word.

I've tried starting the laptop in safe mode and it successfully starts in safe mode with or without networking, but immediately shuts itself down. I haven't tried safe mode with command prompt.

Help!!!

A:black screen with white cursor safe mode not an option

A white blinking cursor on a black screen usually means the computer is looking for an operating system to boot from, and can't find one. You say your father was watching a video on the computer. Was it a DVD? Many times, computers are set to boot from the CD/DVD player first, and if a movie or music disc is left in the CD/DVD tray, the computer will try to boot from it. And of course, it can't. Check there first.

If that's not the case, and he was streaming a video over the Internet, you will have to run some diagnostics on your hard drive to determine what the problem is. It could be a bad cable connecting the hard drive to the mother board, it could be corrupt/damaged system or boot files, or the hard drive may just be dead. What kind of hard drive is it? What make/model of computer? What operating system?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503222/black-screen-with-white-cursor-safe-mode-not-an-option/
Relevancy 85.56%

Hello all I am currently experiencing some issues with an Hp Pavilion dv running Windows Home Premium After startup the windows logo is displayed and then the screen goes black with only the cursor visible The cursor is movable I have tried booting into safe mode however the same black screen with movable cursor appears I have already tried a number of solutions I found online and all thus far have failed I tried pressing control alt delete at the black screen and nothing comes up I have tried booting in low-res mode to see screen black with Windows no startup, cursor after mode 7 safe if a graphics driver was the issue still only a black screen with cursor I have tried connecting to an external monitor with no luck Windows 7 black screen with cursor after startup, no safe mode as well I have also ran memtest and a hard drive test both of which showed no issues I have already ran Malwarebytes offline through Hirens BootCD and also ran Offline Windows Defender to get rid of any malware or viruses I have also loaded a Windows Repair disk and have attempted a Startup Repair in which it shows no issues a System Restore which is unsuccessful and have also tried booting with the last known good configuration which also did not work I did some more exploring using the command prompt on the Windows repair disk When I run bootrec scanos I receive a message saying Successfully scanned Windows installations Total identified Windows installations The operation completed successfully I am unsure what else to try and I m really trying to avoid doing a clean install I have access to a desktop running Windows that I can hook the notebook hard drive up to via SATA if this helps at all Any help getting this laptop to boot windows again would be GREATLY appreciated Thank you

A:Windows 7 black screen with cursor after startup, no safe mode

Although this was originally issued for Vista, the techniques apply to any HP system and/or Windows O/S, IMO.  I would try the steps outlined.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01634637

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576728/windows-7-black-screen-with-cursor-after-startup-no-safe-mode/
Relevancy 85.56%

I have an HP desktop e9200z with Windows 7 Home Premium. I was on the internet, when my computer rebooted itself and took me to a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upperhand lefthand corner. It occurs before the welcome to windows screen. I can get into BIOS and the recovery manager, but I cannot get into safemode. I set the BIOS to the default settings by hitting f5. I also ran a repair, but it says it cannot successfully repair the system. Not sure if this matters, but I noticed this in the log

Problem Signature 07: NoOSInstalled

I tried doing a restore, but I keep getting the black screen with cursor. Is there anything I can do other than reinstalling to factory settings? I read that it could be a master boot record issue, but where in the recovery manager can i fix that? thanks!

A:black screen with blinking cursor....can't access safe mode

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikkilee

I also ran a repair ...

I tried doing a restore ...

How did you go about doing this? Did you boot from the Win7 installation DVD disk to attempt them?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-with-blinking-cursor-cant-access-safe-mode-678024.html
Relevancy 84.63%

I realize that there are many threads with this title but as far as I can tell my case is with safe Black with Login works replaced mode cursor, screen unique The computer I use is an e-machine ET G Specs are gig ram GB hard drive Windows Home Premium -bit So there was an instance in which I shut down Login replaced with Black screen with cursor, safe mode works my Login replaced with Black screen with cursor, safe mode works computer by holding the power button due to a problem with windows update being stuck on the first update if I tried to shut it down normally I did the microsoft fix program the other day but the thing crept back up and I didn't feel like doing it today When I tried to restart the thing it would lose the video feed into the monitor I popped my case open to see that the graphics card I installed a Nvidia Geforce GT had gotten really hot and I took it out I went to the PC's integrated graphics card but all that accomplished was getting a black screen with a cursor on it Safe mode works perfectly fine but the normal start up doesn't at all I tried start up repair to no avail I have scanned my hard drive with chdsk with no errors found used sfc scannow with no errors found I have tried to fix windows update with the fix it program in safe mode but it can't seem to fix it at all in fact windows update doesn't open in safe mode but this could be normal for all I know

A:Login replaced with Black screen with cursor, safe mode works

Black screen after login, cruiser still works,
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/d47aece7-5e12-46ec-8d3e-e8671730a7ce
Clean boot,
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/179159-troubleshoot-application-conflicts-performing-clean-startup.html
Troubleshooting for win-7,
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/220165-troubleshooting-steps-windows-7-a.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/303341-login-replaced-black-screen-cursor-safe-mode-works.html
Relevancy 84.63%

My husband was watching video when pc st just cursor mode wont black boot blinking with screen safe shut off He cut it back on and began watching same video and again it shut off When black screen with blinking cursor wont boot safe mode he tried to restart this time he got black screen with blinking cursor in top left hand corner I have tried running the pre-boot system assessment numerous times and says everything passes but then it hangs up at end when supposed to go into dell diagnostics I have only gotten results saying pxe-e -media test failure check cable and pxe-mof-exiting pxe rom I know my dvd drive is messed up due to it not being able to read my windows cd so I am unable to do a reinstall of vista Is there anything I can do to get windows to load Goes straight to black screen after dell logo Also nothing happens when press F so cant boot pc into safe mode Tried taking battery out and tried leaving it on for awhile to see if would finish loading and nothing Please help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-with-blinking-cursor-wont-boot-safe-mode.1015407/
Relevancy 84.63%

Hello The problem when i power up my computer it goes thorugh its full boot mode I get my login screen for password enter password and then the computer finish it's boot with a black screen and the mouse cursor active I can't do anything except move the cursor around What i can do I can boot the computer in Safe Mode and have full functionality in that mode for which i was able to backup personal files I tried one function where you can roll the computer back and that didn't work I am currently trying 'Startup repair and waiting for that to finish It finished boot but - can Windows cursor Black safe mode in screen w/active 7 and failed Windows 7 - Black screen w/active cursor but can boot in safe mode BadDriver How it started It started when a system update popped up on my screen faded out the main screen ann a dialog box popped up in the center of the screen asking if i authorized Windows 7 - Black screen w/active cursor but can boot in safe mode this update I cannot remember the specifics but it was Windows 7 - Black screen w/active cursor but can boot in safe mode for updating some flash drive or something Like an idiot i absentmindley clicked ok and it ran the update then rebooted my computer and that's when the problem started Help please

A:Windows 7 - Black screen w/active cursor but can boot in safe mode

Hello, and Welcome
Can you do a system restore to a date before the system update?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/543883/windows-7-black-screen-wactive-cursor-but-can-boot-in-safe-mode/
Relevancy 84.63%

Hello Thanks for manager mode) cursor. screen or with (No Black mouse safe task helping So I built my computer two years ago and it has been running strong ever since I went to Vegas for three days and came back and it seems like this happened out of no where Windows boots up just fine but then instead of a login screen I get that black Black screen with mouse cursor. (No task manager or safe mode) screen I have googled it and most Black screen with mouse cursor. (No task manager or safe mode) people are able to CTRL ALT DELETE and stuff like that I cannot even do that I have tried running in safe mode same deal I have tried in low-resolution mode same deal What is weird is that I can dual boot into Linux I installed Ubuntu a while ago just fine in fact I am posting through Linux on this very computer I have tried to use Windows 's system repair that is through the computer or whatever no cigar and my last restore point was in I would rather not resort to that Here are my system specs Motherboard MB ASUS SABERTOOTH X LGA R Graphics Card VGA GIGABYTE GV-R D - GD R Power Supply PSU CORSAIR CMPSU- TX W RT CPU CPU INTEL CORE I G N R My Windows booted harddrive SSD G ADATA AS TB- GM-C R All my other files Linux boot harddrive HD T SAMSUNG HD SJ M K Memory MEM Gx PATRIOT PV G ELK R I remember doing an Avira Scan and a Spybot Search and Destroy Scan like a week or two ago but I swear I have rebooted since then of course so I do not think it is that I am worried that it is my graphics card but then why would Linux work Perhaps it is the graphics drivers then Is there a way I could update reinstall my graphics drivers onto my Windows harddrive through Linux I am quite a big noob when it comes to Linux I have it so I can use terminal and use some programs through my university I cannot even do a restore point because it says I do not have enough space which I think I do I am completely stuck now Right now I am trying to download a repair disk seeing as how all my Windows disks seem to say that it is a different version than my Windows I am going to try and do a sfc scannow on this bootable DVD I am unable to do it on the hard disk recovery option F on boot because it says there is a repair quot pending quot I will also try to do a simple repair via disk I have been looking on these forums for the same type of problem for a while now but the solutions do not seem to work I have already tried doing the on hard drive disk repair three times in a row

A:Black screen with mouse cursor. (No task manager or safe mode)

You can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here:

Windows 7 Direct Download Links

Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.

I recommend using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file.

You can do this on any computer capable of burning a DVD.

YOU MUST HAVE A VALID KEY TO INSTALL THIS .ISO. The one on the COA sticker on your computer will work.

You can also create a bootable USB Flash drive (4GB or larger) to install Windows 7 from.
Download and run Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3
Select Windows 7 from the first drop down list, all the way to the bottom
Select the downloaded Windows 7 iso file
Select your USB flash drive
Click Create

For techies or folks who work on computers: Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility.
This will fit on a 6GB flash drive or can be burned to a DVD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/291947-black-screen-mouse-cursor-no-task-manager-safe-mode.html
Relevancy 84.63%

I cannot boot my XP machine In safe mode it also says safe mode in white text in each corner and shows windows build details at the top I have trying going back to previous good config - same problem A normal boot just leads to a black screen with a movable mouse arrow - no sign of a login screen I have tried a recovery reinstall from a an XP pro CD from another computer - this took about minutes and went through all the steps normally with normal graphics displayed duting the reinstall but after finishing the same problem is still there Only now the windows build info in sfae mode reports SP originally didi not as the computer was supplied with XP before SP I am at a loss to know what to do to get the machine wordking without a refomat of the hard disk whcih will destroy all my data and my partners stuff too - mostly not backed up as cursor same boot problem Pro, safe XP with Cannot in mode, working black screen usual Please help Thnaks Sandy nbsp

A:Cannot boot XP Pro, same problem in safe mode, black screen with working cursor

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-boot-xp-pro-same-problem-in-safe-mode-black-screen-with-working-cursor.307976/
Relevancy 84.01%

HI with of after Screen can chkdsk, Death mode safe Cursor into Solved: Black boot I have Solved: Black Screen of Death with Cursor after chkdsk, can boot into safe mode a black screen problem after I run chkdsk with my Win drive So far I ve managed to work around the problem by disabling auto chkdsk on my drive How do I fix this permanently Specs are below Here is what I ve done to help correct the problem Run Trend Micro online scan found one virus and trojans Fixed Updated the video drives of my Nvidia GT video card Lowered screen resolution in screen Raised Refresh rate in Monitor Disconnected and reconnected VGA monitor Changed cluster size Scanned for bad clusters Downloaded and ran black screen shell ext fix Created a New profile and booted into it I am unable to run sfc scannow I can boot into safe mode fine After I get Black Screen I can go back to the original state with Norton Solved: Black Screen of Death with Cursor after chkdsk, can boot into safe mode ghost Here are my specs Desktop Drive C W Home Premium GB NTFS IDE Drive D WinXP Pro sp GB NTFS IDE Drive E Storage gb IDE - nd half of Drive amp quot D amp quot Drive F amp amp G Solved: Black Screen of Death with Cursor after chkdsk, can boot into safe mode DVDRs Seagate GB Sata Storage Partitions Seagate GB USB Storage Partitions external Phenom II ghz CPU GB DDR Ram Nvidia GT PCIE GB video card Creative bit sound card ASROCK M A DE Mobo Earthlink DSL bps Floppy drive K dialup Optical Mouse Keyboard quot CRT nbsp

A:Solved: Black Screen of Death with Cursor after chkdsk, can boot into safe mode

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-black-screen-of-death-with-cursor-after-chkdsk-can-boot-into-safe-mode.999744/
Relevancy 110.08%

So my laptop only starts up in safe mode and when I try to access it through normal startup, a blue screen appears for a short amount of time and then attempts to startup again going on and on in a never ending cycle.

However, I got it running on safe mode and ran Malwaebytes Anti-Malware on safe mode (with networking). However, it didn't pick up anything wrong. What can I do to fix this???

A:Vista only starts in Safe Mode and blue screen appears in normal mode

Hi There ghostOnthestage!For a rather lengthy but very informative article on stop errors and what may possibly cause them go here: http://www.updatexp.com/stop-messages.html Perhaps this will help a bit until someone more knowledgeable on this subject can come along. Good luck!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/222740/vista-only-starts-in-safe-mode-and-blue-screen-appears-in-normal-mode/
Relevancy 109.65%

o i was only Loads Vista safe mode-BLACK SCREEN cleaning my Vista Loads only safe mode-BLACK SCREEN sister notebook because it was full of unwanted programs alot of unnecessary startup programs so i downloaded tuneup utilities with registration key and did all tuneup availables I also unninstalled like programs plus I performed full avast scan Full malwarebytes scan Full trojan remover scan I had like restarting requests from the programs I was going to do them all in only one So after all the cleaning I've made I decided to reboot it But after that loading screen that says quot Microsoft corporation quot when it is going to enter account selection doesn't show nothing Vista Loads only safe mode-BLACK SCREEN it gets black blink and then reboot I choosed to system not reboot in case of fail then just stay Vista Loads only safe mode-BLACK SCREEN a black screen nothing else I can use safe mode normally I'm posting from the notebook So I would apreciate some help cuz if my sister know this she would kill me because everything is always my fault And I don't have the vista installation CD If there's no option i can download it no problem Things done so far -CHKDSK -Prevent system from rebooting in case of system fail Before this was just a reboot loop -Scan for Virus Malware -Driver update Actually video driver only -Let it cooldown turned off -Disable all startup programs at msconfig Even thinking this wouldn't work because it doesn't even load windows Note Tune up utilities made me delete alot of unused files like old backups and system restores and it cleaned alot of registry files after I've unninstalled a mass of softwares So any ideas Update I noticed something very strange after booting in normal mode Like in the black I noticed some slightly lighter black very sligthly screen poping down Like resising Twice Now this is strange

A:Vista Loads only safe mode-BLACK SCREEN

Use Windows DVD or HDD recovery partition and boot into Recovery. Select "Windows System Restore" - choose restore point prior to commencement of cleanup.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-loads-only-safe-mode-black-screen-546558.html
Relevancy 108.79%

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend's laptop has been having issues for the past week or so. Everytime it starts up, it goes to the "Windows Error Recovery" screen with the options "Launch Startup Repair" and "Start Windows Normally". However, neither of these options work, and it won't boot Windows 7 but instead goes to a black screen with a movable cursor. From this screen, I can't activate anything, ctrl-alt-delete does nothing. I've read through forums and have tried many solutions, but haven't had any luck and can't figure out what the problem is. Any ideas or solutions?
Here's what I've tried so far: booting from windows 7 install disk, booting from a system repair disk, booting from AVG recovery disk, booting from USB windows 7 install, safe mode, etc. The laptop is an ASUS U56E, is only a few months old, and has Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit installed. The processor is an Intel i5.

Thanks!
Rachel

A:Win 7 boots to black screen with cursor

If you were able to get into Safe Mode run CHKDSK with auto fix on or /f . If you get into windows and all is OK, still run Sfc /scannow.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/win-7-boots-to-black-screen-with-cursor-722233.html
Relevancy 108.79%

Hey all To jump to the point my computer XP is booting to a black screen No cursor nothing It goes through boot and post screens shows windows loading and then nothing I ve tried safe mode w and w o networking and it does the same thing Keeps hanging up I m fairly certain my hard drive failed but I m not sure Hoping someone can verify this The drive is about or years old probably not In light of this I tried loading windows from disc and it went through the loading scene and then it went to a colorful backdrop and hung again I m not No black XP - to screen cursor boots sure how booting from disc works if it was loading it to the drive or what if it was then it seems simple that the drive failed and I need a new one correct If thats NOT how it works ie strictly booting up from disc then that would indicate a hardware issue Possibly power Of note not sure if this is XP boots to black screen - No cursor related but a different drive has been randomly disappearing It just stops being recognized and all the files programs go quot missing quot cannot locate source E Would this indicate that maybe it is a power issue Thanks for any and all help Let me know if you need any additional information and i ll try to provide what I can nbsp

A:XP boots to black screen - No cursor

Do you have a desktop computer, or a laptop computer?

What's the make and model# of your PC?

Sounds like the drive could be failing, but more information is needed to determine if that's the case.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-boots-to-black-screen-no-cursor.1013240/
Relevancy 108.79%

I have an inspiron 1525 laptop with 2 gig ram and intel core 2 duo processor. It came with Vista 32 bit but I upgraded in January to Win 7 64 bit. Over the summer I had a fatal error that had me wipe the hard drive and reinstall windows.

It was working fine, but now it will only boot to a black screen with cursor in the middle that I can move. I can't get into any desktop options. Booting to safe mode will only go to same black screen. If I try to get to boot options it asks to boot to Windows Normally or Windows Repair...both options go to a blank screen with cursor.

I tried to boot using a boot disk, but it goes to black screen/cursor. Tried using the Win 7 install disck...black screen/cursor.

Any options?
Thanks!
PJB

A:Win 7 boots to black screen with cursor

Hi -

Boot system with KillDisk - not to format (yet), but to see if you can see partitions -

http://www.techsupportforum.com/2789807-post8.html

http://jcgriff2.com/killdisk_imgburn.html

Run HDD diagnostics - start with SeaTools for DOS - http://www.techsupportforum.com/2828431-post7.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/win-7-boots-to-black-screen-with-cursor-524536.html
Relevancy 108.79%

system worked fine untill son decided the case needed a new fan, added fan using power from motherboard (mobo is ASUS P5wd2-E premium) when re-booted computer it would post then drop to black screen with curser. What I found was he also plugged power into the ez-connector, I'm not sure this would have any effect but it wasn't used as the power supply had the AT connector. I tried all the tests I knew but couldn't boot to F8, to try to do system restore, was able to boot to bios and select boot drive (cd) and tried to do a windows repair, (boot ini repair) the system sees drives, drives act as if it's cycling drive light blinks on case,did the repair but will not boot. anyone have any ideas

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/boots-to-black-screen-with-cursor.158256/
Relevancy 108.36%

I'm trying to fix a friend's Toshiba Satellite laptop (Vista). Since it's not my computer I'm not sure how the problem started but when booting normally it goes as far as the initial options screen (press f2 for settings, f10 for boot options) and then goes black. It won't boot into safe mode, from a restore CD or from the recovery discs (they were burned from a recovery partition right after install, I guess it's possible that they weren't set up properly). When booting from the cd it gets past loading files to the blue loading bar, and then goes black. Any suggestions? I'm guessing it might be hardware but is there any way to troubleshoot it before taking the whole laptop in? I'm assuming it's not the HDD because it won't even boot from the CD.

A:Vista Black Screen (no safe mode or boot from disc)

Have you tried using the screen toggle? Most laptops are able to toggle the screen to an external monitor. Normally hold down the Fn key and hit F5 or F8 or something like that. When it boots it may be trying to switch it to an external monitor.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-black-screen-no-safe-mode-or-boot-from-disc.813296/
Relevancy 108.36%

PLEASE HELP

My laptop hp pavilion starts up and freezes on a black screen. it doesn't load so i tried safe mode and it gets stuck on.

Loading: \windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys
I tried windows reload and repair and same issue even after i reloaded and repaired it. Can some one please help me!

David

A:Vista start up screen black safe mode is stuck!!!!

hi try this
Restore the PC to its original condition with the HP Recovery Manager if Windows Vista is not accessible
If the PC cannot launch into Windows, it may still be possible to use the HP Recovery Manager on the hard drive to restore the computer to its original operating condition by first pressing the Power button to start the PC, and then pressing the F11 key to start the HP Recovery Manager. NOTE: Depending on the BIOS version, your computer may display multiple prompts during startup including F11 to start System Recovery. Pressing the F11 key on a computer with an HP factory image will start System Recovery even if the prompt is not displayed

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-start-up-screen-black-safe-mode-is-stuck.851393/
Relevancy 108.36%

hp laptop when i start up my laptop it goes to a black screen an freezes and when i try safe mode it freezes at

loading: \windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys

I have tryed repairing and reloading microsoft still the same error. if any one knows how to correct this problem please help!

A:Vista start up screen black safe mode is stuck

hi you should have a recovery partition this should help
Restore the PC to its original condition with the HP Recovery Manager if Windows Vista is not accessible
If the PC cannot launch into Windows, it may still be possible to use the HP Recovery Manager on the hard drive to restore the computer to its original operating condition by first pressing the Power button to start the PC, and then pressing the F11 key to start the HP Recovery Manager. NOTE: Depending on the BIOS version, your computer may display multiple prompts during startup including F11 to start System Recovery. Pressing the F11 key on a computer with an HP factory image will start System Recovery even if the prompt is not displayed

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-start-up-screen-black-safe-mode-is-stuck.851409/
Relevancy 107.5%

A friend asked me to see if I could get his computer running again, but I'm about ready to pull what's left of my hair out. Its an eMachines mini desktop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Windows will not boot to the desktop screen, only to a black screen and mouse cursor. Hitting F8 only gets you safe mode options, all of which stall the same way. There's no "Last Known Good Configuration" option either. Using a Windows 7 64-bit rescue disk doesn't help, because it doesn't find anything wrong when running the diagnostics, and there aren't any restore points to revert back to. I've already tried the bootrec.exe /fixmbr and /fixboot remedy, no change. The computer is used by their kids quite a bit so I'm wondering if it might be virus/malware/Trojan related? Thanks for your help.

A:Windows 7 boots to black screen w/cursor

Hi There:
Sorry to hear you are having problems with your friend's eMachines pc. They are fine computers.

Before you try any of my sugestions, IT IS CRITICAL THAT YOU BACKUP ALL OF YOUR FRIEND'S CRITICAL DATA! You should backup to an External Hard Drive, Flash Drive, or CD/DVD discs first!

With that said; here are the things you can try in this order:

1) Try to boot into the eMachines hidden Partition Recovery using F5, F7, F10, or F12 keys on power-up boot. You can download the eMachines User Manual from their website at: eMachines Support - Welcome to eMachines Support.

Once in that Recovery Menu, it will ask you what repair you want to try, and you want to restore the PC to Factory Condition, which is a DESTRUCTIVE operation and will destroy all of your friend's data and reinstall Win7 and all programs and settings that came with the computer when it was new out of the box right after your friend purchased it. This is why I had you backup your data first before you do this. **also, if you have never done this before, I suggest you take to a local computer expert or Certified Technician at your local computer store**.
THIS IS AN IRREVERSIBLE STEP!

After doing this, and you get the same Black Screen result, most likely your hard drive is damaged and possibly the Motherboard (Main Board) could also be damaged as well. Take to a local Certified Computer Expert at this point.

2.) Ask your friend for the Recovery Discs that came in the box when he/she purchased the computer. Many people lose them, or don't have the complete set. They are available from the Manufacturer, which is now Gateway, as Gateway purchased eMachines the company a few years ago. I will provide that link to purchase discs here: Contact Us

If your friend provides you with the Recovery Discs, there will most likely be from 2-6 dvd discs, possible more. Insert Disc1 of the Factory Recovery Disc set and restart the computer, it will give you a menu and choose the "Restore to Factory Condition" option or equivalent. After 3 hrs. or more (possibly 6 hrs.) it will restore your Win7 on that pc to original condition Win7 with all programs originally installed on that computer at the Factory as I mention in Step #1 above. **Once again, if you've never performed a full Factory Recovery, it is High Risk and I don't recommend it, that's best left to the Computer Experts like me.**

If Win7 boots to the Windows desktop you have fixed your friend's problem and after you test it on the Internet you can copy back all his backed up data onto it for him and return a working pc to him!

If however, Win7 still gives you the same Black Screen or a Black Screen with a white-lettered Error Message such as "ntbootldr.exe not available or not present"; you most likely have a faulty hard drive or Motherboard and it would need to be replaced.

3.) If you wish to try the simplest method to test your hardware, you can also borrow or buy a replacement hard drive or the correct type and capacity and swap the hard drive with the one in the pc now. **THIS STEP REQUIRES EXPERIENCE OPENING UP COMPUTERS; IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE THIS BEFORE AND DON'T FEEL CONFIDENT DOING, IT DON'T--TAKE TO A CERTIFIED COMPUTER EXPERT!!!!!****
If you can then install Win7 using Method #1 or Method #2 above on the hard drive and Win7 now boots; you have identified the culprit as a faulty hard drive and should replace it. If you know how to do that, you can reload his Win7 and then send his faulty hard drive out for Data Recovery to a local Computer Expert to get his data back so you can copy back onto his newly installed Win7 with-new-hard-drive setup and he'll be good to go!

You can also view this Sticky from TSF forum on using Factory Media for Recovery at: Tech Support Forum - Announcements in Forum : Microsoft Support

Finally, allow plenty of time to perform these procedures; typically it is several days to go through any or all of these. Even for me it will ta... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/windows-7-boots-to-black-screen-w-cursor-708745.html
Relevancy 107.5%

Mod Edit moved to Virus Trojan Spyware and Malware Removal Logs boopmeI believe somehow I have managed to download a malware I can still access my screen Windows a boots 8 cursor a and black with up BIOS but when I start up my computer the windows logo appears and it begins loading up but when it goes away it just remains at a black screen that I can move my cursor around Happened after installing a possible phony uTorrent it required a computer restart When I restarted it went to the black screen I waited a minute or two and it eventually brought up an internet explorer screen that Windows 8 boots up with a black screen and a cursor looked to me like one of those fake pages that said I had malware it was obvious to me I did have malware because I couldnt see do anything else other than look at that screen I shut down my computer with the button after that Screen never came back up it only remains black w cursor I have a custom built computer I can provide specs if needed Help ASAP would be greatly appreciated thanks EDIT When starting up in normal mode I found that I can access task manager from ctrl alt delete After a little bit internet explorer popped open with the page I was mentioning above that looked fake Pic http i imgur com mEI wko png

A:Windows 8 boots up with a black screen and a cursor

Greetings BigWallaceLittleWalt and to BleepingComputer's Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum.My name is Oh My! and I am here to help you! Now that we are "friends" please call me Gary.If you would allow me to call you by your first name I would prefer to do that.===================================================Ground Rules:First, I would like to inform you that most of us here at Bleeping Computer offer our expert assistance out of the goodness of our hearts. Please try to match our commitment to you with your patience toward us. If this was easy we would never have met. Please do not run any tools or take any steps other than those I will provide for you while we work on your computer together. I need to be certain about the state of your computer in order to provide appropriate and effective steps for you to take. Most often "well intentioned" (and usually panic driven!) independent efforts can make things much worse for both of us. If at any point you would prefer to take your own steps please let me know, I will not be offended. I would be happy to focus on the many others who are waiting in line for assistance.Please perform all steps in the order they are listed in each set of instructions. Some steps may be a bit complicated. If things are not clear, be sure to stop and let me know. We need to work on this together with confidence.Please copy and paste all logs into your post unless directed otherwise. Please do not re-run any programs I suggest. If you encounter problems simply stop and tell me.When you post your reply, use the button instead.In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see the button. Click on this then choose Immediate E-Mail notification and then Proceed and you will be sent an email once I have posted a response.If you do not reply to your topic after 5 days we assume it has been abandoned and I will close it.When your computer is clean I will alert you of such. I will also provide for you detailed information about how you can combat future infections.I would like to remind you to make no further changes to your computer unless I direct you to do so.Now let's get started ===================================================Now that I am assisting you, you can expect that I will be very responsive to your situation. If you are able, I would request you check this thread at least once per day so that we can try to resolve your issues effectively and efficiently. If you are going to be delayed please be considerate and post that information so that I know you are still with me. Unfortunately, there are many people waiting to be assisted and not enough of us at BleepingComputer to go around. I appreciate your understanding and diligence.Thank you for your patience thus far. Please run this program for me.===================================================Farbar's Recovery Scan Tool--------------------For this step you will need a USB flash drive and start on a clean computer.From a working computer please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive. You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC and follow the 2 step process below to enter the System Recovery Options using one of the three options listed, then running Farbar's Recover Scan Tool----------Entering into the System Recovery OptionsOption #1To enter System Recovery Options in Windows 8:If you are using Windows 8 consult How to use the Windows 8 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt to enter System Recovery Command prompt and skp the next two options.Option #2To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:Restart the computer.As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your c... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/565585/windows-8-boots-up-with-a-black-screen-and-a-cursor/
Relevancy 107.5%

I turned on my computer tonight and before booting it started scrolling text saying to cursor boots black with screen Windows deleting corrupted files and scanning files etc this went on for at least - minutes and Windows boots to black screen with cursor then when it was done it said quot Starting Windows quot like normal then brought me to a black screen that said quot Preparing to configure windows do not turn off your computer quot That message disappeared after a few seconds and left me with a black screen with a mouse cursor In the bottom right hand corner of the screen is a power button bottom left is ease of access button and bottom center it says Windows Home Premium I can't do anything with this I've restarted numerous times and I've tried restarting in Safe Mode and it still brings me to this point every time I've also tried using system restore and startup repair through the advanced settings from pressing F during boot up Nothing fixes this How can I fix this PS I did not upgrade my version of windows or anything Windows did install some updates last time I turned off the computer I think

A:Windows boots to black screen with cursor

bump. still need some help here.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/255217-windows-boots-black-screen-cursor.html
Relevancy 107.5%

Basically I woke up this morning to my computer sitting at a black screen with the cursor visible I'm able to move the cursor but do nothing else I rebooted my computer my manually shutting it off and then it started up as it would normally but did this disc check http i imgur com BKfTU jpg from there it moves back to the black screen with the screen (oh to black 7 w/ theres Boots Windows cursor more) cursor Windows 7 Boots to black screen w/ cursor (oh theres more) I again restarted and booted in safe mode this time I was then able to reach windows and tried to do a system restore to an earlier point When i did this i was greeted with this error http i Windows 7 Boots to black screen w/ cursor (oh theres more) imgur com ZwV B jpg Finally here is my harddrive just in case http i imgur com JXnZ jpg I exported my full system info so please let me know if more info is necessary OS Name Microsoft Windows Professional Version Service Pack Build Other OS Description Not Available OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name System Manufacturer INTEL System Model DH BL System Type x -based PC Processor Intel R Core TM i - CPU GHz Mhz Core s Logical Processor s BIOS Version Date Intel Corp BLH H A SMBIOS Version Windows Directory C Windows System Directory C Windows system Boot Device Device HarddiskVolume

A:Windows 7 Boots to black screen w/ cursor (oh theres more)

Hi Welcome to TSF

This seems like issue with your hard drive (it is going bad or getting there)
First thing to do in this case is to play it safe and be ready for anything
backup all your data to an external drive
if you can not get into windows try this guide below
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek

Download Seatools for your hard drive and test your drive with it to see what it comes up with and if it can repair hard drive

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/windows-7-boots-to-black-screen-w-cursor-oh-theres-more-655977.html
Relevancy 107.5%

My Laptop http www dell com us en home notebooks inspiron- pd aspx refid inspiron- amp s dhs amp cs amp oid us en inspiron- -amd- Dell Inspiron Windows Started up my PC After the Dell Inspiron screen loads the screen goes back with a blinking cursor Flashing Screen to boots Black Cursor w/ int the top left corner Googling I ve tried Fn F or F pressing shift times and CTRL ALT DELETE to no avail I have not tried anything with BIOs settings and have not changed any system settings I ve started a thread a couple days ago regarding regular freezing during Dacebook YouTube games and I ve yet to find a solution Screen boots to Black w/ Flashing Cursor for that when this started The laptop s new Screen boots to Black w/ Flashing Cursor We haven t had it for a week I seriously someone Screen boots to Black w/ Flashing Cursor can help me fix this thing before we re forced to return exchange it I do have the Dell Drivers Utilities and a Windows Repair Disc but I m unsure if these will allow me to do a full wipe restore nbsp All input is welcome and appreciated

A:Screen boots to Black w/ Flashing Cursor

Did you try F8 to go into Safe Mode and see if Windows will load that way?

If so, and that does not work then I recommend that you contact Tech Support and discuss the issue with them.   They may be able to resolve it relatively quickly for you.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19326720
Relevancy 107.5%

Hi,
I need to do a repair install on a Windows 7 x64 PC. Is there a way to do this with the DVD if you can't login to the PC?

It boots up, but just goes to an all black screen with a mouse cursor. I can move the mouse, but ctrl + alt + del doesn't do anything. There is nothing else on the screen other than the mouse cursor.

I have tried the startup repair, no help.

I tried system restore, says no restore points found.

A:boots up, but just goes to an all black screen with a mouse cursor

Quote:
It boots up, but just goes to an all black screen with a mouse cursor

Is that when you boot from the system or from the CD?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/153471-boots-up-but-just-goes-all-black-screen-mouse-cursor.html
Relevancy 107.5%

Orginal topic boots win7 screen black w/cursor to is here for more info http www bleepingcomputer com forums t need-help-fixing-boot-issue Here's the Farbar scan Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST x Version - - ATTENTION gt FRST version is days old and could be outdated Ran by SYSTEM on win7 boots to black screen w/cursor MININT-SJQ JNL on - - Running from F Windows Professional Service Pack X OS Language English US Internet Explorer Version Boot Mode RecoveryThe current controlset is ControlSet ATTENTION gt If the system is bootable FRST could be run from normal or Safe mode to create a complete log Registry Whitelisted HKLM Run SynTPEnh - C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe - - Synaptics win7 boots to black screen w/cursor Incorporated HKLM Run SysTrayApp - C Program Files IDT WDM sttray exe - - IDT Inc HKLM Run HotKeysCmds - C Windows system hkcmd exe HKLM Run QuickSet - C Program Files Dell QuickSet quickset exe - - Dell Inc HKLM Run FreeFallProtection - C Program Files STMicroelectronics AccelerometerP FF Protection exe - - HKLM Run Broadcom Wireless Manager UI - C Program Files Dell DW WLAN Card WLTRAY EXE - - Dell Inc HKLM Run Dell Webcam Central - C Program Files Dell Webcam Dell Webcam Central WebcamDell exe - - Creative Technology Ltd HKLM Run AVG UI - C Program Files AVG AVG avgui exe - - AVG Technologies CZ s r o HKLM Run Adobe ARM - C Program Files Common Files Adobe ARM AdobeARM exe - - Adobe Systems Incorporated HKU Paul Snyder Run swg - C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe - - Google Inc Services Whitelisted S AVGIDSAgent C Program Files AVG AVG avgidsagent exe - - AVG Technologies CZ s r o S avgwd C Program Files AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe - - AVG Technologies CZ s r o S ptumlcmsvc C Windows system ptumlcmsvc exe - - DEVGURU Co LTD S TMBMServer c Program Files Trend Micro BM TMBMSRV exe - - Trend Micro Inc S wltrysvc C Program Files Dell DW WLAN Card bcmwltry exe - - Dell Inc Drivers Whitelisted S Acceler C Windows System DRIVERS Accelern sys - - ST Microelectronics S Avgdiskx C Windows System DRIVERS avgdiskx sys - - AVG Technologies CZ s r o S AVGIDSDriver C Windows System DRIVERS avgidsdriverx sys - - AVG Technologies CZ s r o S AVGIDSHX C Windows System DRIVERS avgidshx sys - - AVG Technologies CZ s r o S AVGIDSShim C Windows System DRIVERS avgidsshimx sys - - AVG Technologies CZ s r o S Avgldx C Windows System DRIVERS avgldx sys - - AVG Technologies CZ s r o S Avglogx C Windows System DRIVERS avglogx sys - - AVG Technologies CZ s r o S Avgmfx C Windows System DRIVERS avgmfx sys - - AVG Technologies CZ s r o S Avgrkx C Windows System DRIVERS avgrkx sys - - AVG Technologies CZ s r o S Avgtdix C Windows System DRIVERS avgtdix sys - - AVG Technologies CZ s r o S BCM RLY C Windows System drivers BCM RLY sys - - Broadcom Corporation S CtAudDrv C Windows system Drivers CtAudDrv sys - - Creative Technology Ltd S PTUMLBUS C Windows System DRIVERS PTUMLBUS sys - - DEVGURU Co LTD S PTUMLCVsp C Windows System DRIVERS PTUMLCVsp sys - - DEVGURU Co LTD www devguru co kr S PTUMLMBMP C Windows System DRIVERS PTUMLMBMP sys - - DEVGURU Co LTD S PTUMLMdm C Windows System DRIVERS PTUMLMdm sys - - DEVGURU Co LTD www devguru co kr S PTUMLNVsp C Windows System DRIVERS PTUMLNVsp sys - - DEVGURU Co LTD www devguru co kr S PTUMLRMNET C Windows System DRIVERS PTUMLRMNET sys - - DEVGURU Co LTD S PTUMLVsp C Windows System DRIVERS PTUMLVsp sys - - DEVGURU Co LTD www devguru co kr S stdcfltn C Windows System DRIVERS stdcfltn sys - - ST Microelectronics S tmactmon C Windows System DRIVERS tmactmon sys - - Trend Micro Inc S tmcomm C Windows System DRIVERS tmcomm sys - - Trend Micro Inc S tmevtmgr C Windows System DRIVERS tmevtmgr sys - - Trend Micro Inc S tmlwf C Windows System DRIVERS tmlwf sys - - Trend Micro Inc S tmtdi C Windows System DRIVERS tmtdi sys - - Trend Micro Inc S tmwfp C Windows System DRIVERS tmwfp sys - - Trend Micro Inc S PTUMLNET system DRIVERS PTUMLNET sys x NetSvcs Whit... Read more

A:win7 boots to black screen w/cursor

Hi,

Please download a fresh copy of FRST to your flash drive and run it like you did before then post the new log.
The tool is updated almost daily to cover new infections and to include extra features that's why I need to see a report generated by the most current version.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/544507/win7-boots-to-black-screen-wcursor/
Relevancy 107.5%

Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST txt x Version - - Ran by SYSTEM on - - cursor and to boots screen black Windows Running from G WIN X OS Language English US Boot Mode Recovery The current controlset is ControlSet ATTENTION gt FRST is updated to run from normal or Safe mode to produce a full FRST txt log and an extra Addition txt log Registry Whitelisted ATTENTION Software hive is not loaded HKU Default Run HPADVISOR - C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Advisor HPAdvisor exe autorun AUTORUN - - Hewlett-Packard HKU Default User Run HPADVISOR - C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Advisor HPAdvisor exe autorun AUTORUN - - Hewlett-Packard HKU lapidusr Run DW - C Program Files x The Weather Channel The Weather Channel App TWCApp exe - - The Weather Channel HKU McAfeeMVSUser Run HPADVISOR - C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Windows boots to black screen and cursor Advisor HPAdvisor exe autorun AUTORUN - - Hewlett-Packard HKU McAfeeMVSUser Run Install PC Performer exe - C Users lapidusr AppData Local Temp Install PC Performer exe XML C Users lapidusr AppData Local Temp BD tmp STP x lt ATTENTION HKU McAfeeMVSUser Windows boots to black screen and cursor Run Exetender - C Program Files x Free Ride Games GPlayer exe runonstartup - - Exent Technologies Ltd HKU QBDataServiceUser Run HPADVISOR - C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Advisor HPAdvisor exe autorun AUTORUN - - Hewlett-Packard HKU QBDataServiceUser Run Install PC Performer exe - C Users lapidusr AppData Local Temp Install PC Performer exe XML C Users lapidusr AppData Local Temp BD tmp STP x lt ATTENTION HKU QBDataServiceUser Run Exetender - C Program Files x Free Ride Games GPlayer exe schedule - - Exent Technologies Ltd Startup C Users lapidusr AppData Roaming Microsoft Windows Start Menu Programs Startup Dropbox lnk ShortcutTarget Dropbox lnk - gt No File Services Whitelisted S ACDaemon C Program Files x Common Files ArcSoft Connection Service Bin ACService exe - - ArcSoft Inc S BrowserProtect C ProgramData BrowserProtect c c ccb- - e c-a f - ad fec e BrowserProtect exe - - S CouponXplorer zService C PROGRA COUPON bar bin zbarsvc exe - - COMPANYVERS NAME S IBUpdaterService C ProgramData IBUpdaterService ibsvc exe - - S KAINTWRK C Program Files x Kaseya INTWRK AgentMon exe - - Kaseya International Limited S McComponentHostService C Program Files x McAfee Security Scan McCHSvc exe - - McAfee Inc S McShield C Program Files Common Files McAfee SystemCore mcshield exe - - McAfee Inc S mfevtp C Windows system mfevtps exe - - McAfee Inc S myAgtSvc C Program Files x McAfee Managed VirusScan Agent myAgtSvc exe - - McAfee Inc S QuickBooksDB C PROGRA Intuit QUICKB QBDBMgrN exe - - Intuit Inc S WinVNC C Program Files x RealVNC VNC WinVNC exe - - RealVNC Ltd S RumorServer C Program Files x McAfee Managed VirusScan Agent myAgtSvc exe RunDLL RumorServer dll ServiceHost x Drivers Whitelisted S KAPFA C Windows system drivers KAPFA SYS - - Kaseya S KAPFA C Windows system drivers KAPFA SYS - - Kaseya S mfeapfk C Windows System drivers mfeapfk sys - - McAfee Inc S MfeAVFK C Windows System drivers mfeavfk sys - - McAfee Inc S mfehidk C Windows System drivers mfehidk sys - - McAfee Inc S mfenlfk C Windows System DRIVERS mfenlfk sys - - McAfee Inc S mferkdet C Windows System drivers mferkdet sys - - McAfee Inc S mfewfpk C Windows System drivers mfewfpk sys - - McAfee Inc S monblanking C Windows System DRIVERS monblanking sys - - Citrix Systems Inc S X XSEx Pr C Program Files x Free Ride Games X XSEx Pr Sys - - Exent Technologies Ltd S X XSEx Pr C Program Files x Free Ride Games X XSEx Pr Sys - - Exent Technologies Ltd S lmimirr system DRIVERS lmimirr sys x S mfeavfk No ImagePath NetSvcs Whitelisted One Month Created Files and Folders - - - - - - D C FRST - - - - - - Microsoft Corporation C Windows System qedit dll - - - - - - Microsoft Corporation C Windows SysWOW qedit dll - - - - - - Microsoft Corporation C Windows SysWOW jscript dll - - - - - - Microsoft Corporation C Windows S... Read more

A:Windows boots to black screen and cursor

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.===Open Notepad and paste the following in it.HKU\McAfeeMVSUser\...\Run: [Install PC Performer43349.exe] - "C:\Users\lapidusr\AppData\Local\Temp\Install PC Performer43349.exe" /XML="C:\Users\lapidusr\AppData\Local\Temp\5BD1.tmp" /STP=0:2 [x]HKU\McAfeeMVSUser\...\Run: [Exetender] - "C:\Program Files (x86)\Free Ride Games\GPlayer.exe" /runonstartupHKU\QBDataServiceUser21\...\Run: [Install PC Performer43349.exe] - "C:\Users\lapidusr\AppData\Local\Temp\Install PC Performer43349.exe" /XML="C:\Users\lapidusr\AppData\Local\Temp\5BD1.tmp" /STP=0:2 [x]HKU\QBDataServiceUser21\...\Run: [Exetender] - "C:\Program Files (x86)\Free Ride Games\GPlayer.exe" /schedule 300000S2 CouponXplorer_5zService; C:\PROGRA~2\COUPON~2\bar\1.bin\5zbarsvc.exeS2 IBUpdaterService; C:\ProgramData\IBUpdaterService\ibsvc.exeS2 X5XSEx_Pr143; C:\Program Files (x86)\Free Ride Games\X5XSEx_Pr143.SysS2 X5XSEx_Pr143; C:\Program Files (x86)\Free Ride Games\X5XSEx_Pr143.SysSave the files as fixlist.txt in to the same folder as FRSTRun FRST and click Fix only once and waitThe tool will create a log (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.===Restart the computer normally.Download using this computer, in normal mode or safe mode and run these tools.Search and delete the AdWare, PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) installed on your computer.Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your Desktop.Close all open programs and internet browsers.Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.Click on Delete tab follow the prompts.A log file will automatically open after the scan has finished.Please post the content of that log file with your next answer.You can find the log file at C:\AdwCleaner[Rn].txt (n is a number).=== Please downloadJunkware Removal Tool to your Desktop.Please close your security software to avoid potential conflicts.Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista or 7, right-mouse click it and select Run as administrator.The tool will open and start scanning your system.Please be patient as this can take a while to complete, depending on your system's specifications.On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your Desktop and will automatically open.Please post the contents of JRT.txt into your reply.===Please download and run this DDS Scanning Tool. Nothing will be deleted. It will just give me some additional information about your system.Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links, if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.1: DDS.scr (Not recommended if you use Chrome to download this .scr file. Use the other options.)2: DDS.pif3: DDS.COMDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run.Please just paste the contents of the DDS.txt log in your next post. DO NOT attach the log.===Please paste the logs in your next reply, DO NOT ATTACH THEMLet me know what problem persists.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/501509/windows-boots-to-black-screen-and-cursor/
Relevancy 107.5%

Basically I woke up this morning to my computer sitting at a black screen with the cursor visible I'm able to move the cursor but do nothing else I rebooted my computer my manually shutting it off and then it started up as it would normally but did this disc check http i imgur com BKfTU jpg from there it moves back to the black screen with the cursor I again restarted and booted in safe mode this time I was then able to reach windows and tried to do a system restore to an earlier point When i did this i was greeted with this error http i imgur com screen w/ Boots black Windows cursor to 7 ZwV B jpg Finally here is my harddrive just in case http i imgur com JXnZ jpg I exported my full system info so please let me know if more info is necessary OS Name Microsoft Windows Professional Version Service Pack Build Other Windows 7 Boots to black screen w/ cursor OS Description Not Available OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name System Manufacturer INTEL System Model DH BL System Type x -based PC Processor Intel R Core TM i - CPU GHz Mhz Core s Logical Processor s BIOS Version Date Intel Corp BLH H A SMBIOS Version Windows Directory C Windows System Directory C Windows system Boot Windows 7 Boots to black screen w/ cursor Device Device HarddiskVolume

A:Windows 7 Boots to black screen w/ cursor

Boot into recovery environment->command prompt
dir c:
dir d:
dir e:

What is windows disk c, d or e (may differ!) Assume it's c

chkdsk/f c:

post results

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/241101-windows-7-boots-black-screen-w-cursor.html
Relevancy 107.5%

I ve been a pc tech for years and I XP to boots with cursor Home screen black have an old computer it XP Home boots to black screen with cursor has tons of proprietary software on it so I can t afford to do a clean install Recently after a normal shutdown the previous night it now boots past the splash screen to a black screen with a cursor The cursor moves numlock works but nothing else Ctrl-alt-del doesn t work nothing Here is what I ve done so far Tried last known good confi Safe mode doesn t work Safe mode with command prompt also doesn t work Tried ghosting over to a brand new hard drive Ran fixmbr fixboot bootcfg rebuild chkdsk r twice Repair install with the latest XP disc and XP slipstreamed in New memory New PSU No blown leaking caps Tried doing system restore back weeks to the earliest restore point available Removed add-on video card using onboard video Tried new optical drive I know I could copy off the data and do a clean install but I REALLY need to get this thing going without a clean-install I ve run out of ideas right now and I need HELP There HAS to be a solution that I haven t tried yet Thank you Zeoran nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-home-boots-to-black-screen-with-cursor.154161/
Relevancy 106.64%

Alright so, a few days ago my brother used my computer and clicked on one of those msn viruses. I downloaded the msn virus removal program and ran it, and my computer seemed to be back to its good old ways. However, recently vista has just started breaking down. First of all the computer would'nt boot into normal mode and i would get an error message saying 'an UNsuported change has been made to windows' or something of the sort. I ran vista in safe mode and ran multiple virus scanners. I removed a large amount of trojans and then when i tried restarting vista, as it got into the log in screen the computer blue screens. So here i am, back in safe mode (network enabled). Completely dumbfouded.

Would appreciate help!
thanks

Im running a Acer aspire 5710Z laptop, (about 2 years old) with a LEGIT vista copy.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-blue-screen-constantly-only-runs-in-safe-mode-help.815670/
Relevancy 106.64%

I'm getting the black screen with movable cursor or KSOD Black Screen Of Death on Windows (Black Vista Black Of Death) Screen screen or with cursor movable KSOD Vista Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista What happens The system powers on POST BIOS Start windows normally Windows splash screen - gt Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista Black screen lt - What I can do I CAN enter BIOS and have reset the default settings I CAN press F to give me advanced boot options but all options have the same result apart from quot Repair your computer quot I CAN load the quot Repair your computer quot option I CAN move the mouse around the screen I CAN press shift times to get a dialogue to appear but no control panel I CAN press the power button to shut down the system I CAN start up in safe Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista mode which is exactly the same but with lower resolution I CANNOT seem to do anything else However there are workarounds to accessing the hard drive I CAN use MSDaRT or the System Recovery Tool I CAN use the hard drive as an external USB hard drive on another machine What I've tried Startup Repair - Could not detect a problem System Restore - No restore points Windows Complete PC Restore - A valid restore location could not be found Windows Memory Diagnostics - No errors SFC Scan - No problems Stand alone system sweeper - No problems Hotfix Uninstall - Nothing to uninstall I also COULD do a partial or full quot Packard Bell Recovery quot which is essentially like reinstalling windows I DO NOT want to do this I'm sure this is just a simple software issue really and I would rather avoid a reinstall Can anyone recommend what steps I should try to resolve this Thanks

A:Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista

I think I saw this post aver at Toms but I also think you gave some additional info.
I think what may be going on it during the switch from the windows low res video driver to the driver used in normal mode.

Since you can get into safe mode try to go to device manager.
Start|right click computer|properties|device manager.
Look in the display adapter.
Is there a yellow exclamation mark there?
Or is it showing the video that you know should be there?
Please post the video that the machine uses and or the PB model.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-with-movable-cursor-or-ksod-black-screen-of-death-vista-410636.html
Relevancy 106.64%

I've moved the upgraded W partition to SSD alongside W dual-boot I used EaseUS Partition Master for the cloning boots W10 > Moved black but - to partition SSD, screen with cursor but forgot the boot partition behind on HDD After much fiddling around with EasyBCD USB start repairs Moved W10 partition to SSD, boots but > black screen with cursor - on both amp I recovered the boot partition with EaseUS and copied it to SSD Have performed several offline sfc and bootrec cmd lines on both amp and the latter boots but doesn't reach the login screen After the boot screen the screen goes dark and the arrow cursor can move There is no Safe Mode merely the boot screen and options when I run the USB repair Both sfc and chkdsk are sound and the srt logfile reports Code Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log---------------------------Last successful boot time PM GMT Number of repair attempts Session details---------------------------System Disk Device Harddisk Windows directory C WindowsAutoChk Run Number of root causes Test Performed ---------------------------Name Check for updatesResult Completed successfully Error code x Time taken msTest Performed ---------------------------Name System disk testResult Completed successfully Error code x Time taken msTest Performed ---------------------------Name Disk failure diagnosisResult Completed successfully Error code x Time taken msTest Performed ---------------------------Name Disk metadata testResult Completed successfully Error code x Time taken msTest Performed ---------------------------Name Target OS testResult Completed successfully Error code x Time taken msTest Performed ---------------------------Name Volume content checkResult Completed successfully Error code x Time taken msTest Performed ---------------------------Name Boot manager diagnosisResult Completed successfully Error code x Time taken msTest Performed ---------------------------Name System boot log diagnosisResult Completed successfully Error code x Time taken msTest Performed ---------------------------Name Event log diagnosisResult Completed successfully Error code x Time taken msTest Performed ---------------------------Name Internal state checkResult Completed successfully Error code x Time taken msTest Performed ---------------------------Name Boot status testResult Completed successfully Error code x Time taken msTest Performed ---------------------------Name Setup state checkResult Completed successfully Error code x Time taken msTest Performed ---------------------------Name Registry hives testResult Completed successfully Error code x Time taken msTest Performed ---------------------------Name Windows boot log diagnosisResult Completed successfully Error code x Time taken msTest Performed ---------------------------Name Bugcheck analysisResult Completed successfully Error code x Time taken msTest Performed ---------------------------Name Access control testResult Completed successfully Error code x Time taken msTest Performed ---------------------------Name File system test chkdsk Result Completed successfully Error code x Time taken msTest Performed ---------------------------Name Software installation log diagnosisResult Completed successfully Error code x Time taken msTest Performed ---------------------------Name Fallback diagnosisResult Completed successfully Error code x Time taken msRoot cause found ---------------------------Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem Repair action Result Failed Error code x Time taken msRepair action System files integrity check and repairResult Failed Error code xa Time taken ms------------------------------------------------------ As a rule I don't keep on repeating the same quot repair quot over amp over again hoping for a different result but I've reached the stage now where I cannot find anything new to try Can anyone please help

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/68892-moved-w10-partition-ssd-boots-but-black-screen-cursor.html
Relevancy 106.64%

Yeah just registered with Ten Forums and all that good stuff and so commonly to a Windows with cursor? boots black 10 no screen here's my first of Windows 10 commonly boots to a black screen with no cursor? possibly many issues I shall bring to you xD I upgraded my preview Windows 10 commonly boots to a black screen with no cursor? build of Windows to the pro final version because the preview wasn't able to find additional builds and kept crapping out on standard updates All went smoothly but the first thing I noticed is that the next time I booted cold Windows would get past the quot starting windows quot screen and play the startup sound However the logon interface never appeared or the cursor All that was displayed was a solid black screen I hard reset by holding down the power button and tried it again which gave me the same thing Again hard reset This still commonly happens along with my CMOS date time settings apparently being wiped after such reset Sometimes the cursor appears but mostly it doesn't Usually after trying enough times it'll pull through or by starting it after selecting a recovery option from F quot Enable low resolution video quot I know worked before but it didn't give me low res display Not that I'm complaining It could likely be because I installed over the preview and in-place installations typically have issues I'm also running a program to provide titlebars with aero styled glass transparency and my graphics driver is up to date Any thoughts

A:Windows 10 commonly boots to a black screen with no cursor?

Probably a dumb question, but did you upgrade from 7 or 8.1 through the insider program to build 10130?

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/27273-windows-10-commonly-boots-black-screen-no-cursor.html
Relevancy 106.64%

Hello. Is 64 bit home version. No restore points available. Boots this way in every mode. Last known good does same thing.

System was brought to me like this. I ran a test on the HD (A WD) it failed their test and said it needed replaced. I bought new one, did a drive copy (it completed copy with a few errors) and I am getting the same thing with the new HD in.

Ctrl-alt-del does nothing, nor does hitting shift to get onscreen keyboard (the cursor changes for a second, then back to arrow)

Any advice?

Thanks!

A:Win7 boots to black screen with mouse cursor

Can you give us the make and model of this computer please ?

Ctrl-alt-del does nothing, nor does hitting shift to get onscreen keyboard

Is this a tablet, a laptop or a desktop ?

In general, the black screen with the blinking cursor suggests that the system cannot find a bootable drive. In general, pressing 'F8' at the BIOS screen if a computer is doing this will bring up a drive selection screen, select the hard drive that has Windows on it, press 'Enter' and, again generally, it will go and boot.

If the black screen is occurring later in the process, say after the 'Starting Windows' screen appears, this isn't the cure.

Chris Cosgrove

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/508228/win7-boots-to-black-screen-with-mouse-cursor/
Relevancy 106.64%

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 with Vista that boots to a black screen with cursor in normal and safe modes. I disconnected all peripherals. I tried the recovery disk and it could not repair. I tried to run a restore and it said no restore points available. the video seems to work when booted to the system disk and safe mode with command prompt. would appreciate any help

A:Computer boots to black screen with mouse cursor

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/424286/computer-boots-to-black-screen-with-mouse-cursor/
Relevancy 106.64%

Have the same problem, I was re loading office in order to repair the outlook, and now I am unable to get past the blank screen with a blinking cursor.

A:Win XP boots to black screen, only mouse cursor active.

tap f8 when booting and try from the boot options

last known good configuration

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/win-xp-boots-to-black-screen-only-mouse-cursor-active-424582.html
Relevancy 106.64%

Win XP boots to black screen, only mouse cursor active.
Power went out and I went to reboot computer and it comes up with a black screen and the cursor. The cursor moves fine around the screen. I tried booting in safe mode but only get black screen, cursor and the words safe mode around the screen. Please help me.

A:Win XP boots to black screen, only mouse cursor active.

Boot off of the XP CD Or download the Recovery Console ISO. Burn it to CD with IMGBurn and get to the Recovery Console. Here type chkdsk /R and press enter. The Check Disk utility will try and fix any file errors.
You can also download the ISO image for Drive Fitness Test in my signature and burn the image to a CD using IMGBurn and boot off of the newly created CD and run the short and extended tests on the HDD to test the integrity of the drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/win-xp-boots-to-black-screen-only-mouse-cursor-active-602356.html
Relevancy 106.64%

Hello,

My laptop will not boot. I end up with an empty black screen or a blue screen with no icons, just a cursor. I get choices for 'normal startup' or ' repair' but not safe mode. Any help appreciated.

A:Unable to start - black screen or empty blue screen w cursor??

Hello JoLaRo and welcome to Seven Forums.

One of the Forum experts has prepared a couple of tutorials that might help you out.

Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot

Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7

If you're still having issues after following the tutorials, please post back.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/346364-unable-start-black-screen-empty-blue-screen-w-cursor.html
Relevancy 106.64%

Hello and thanks for reading I have a year old HP pavilion dv series laptop running windows Yesterday I turned it on and it started normally but when I tried to browse on Firefox it gave me the blue screen for the first time ever and it shut down Fearing I had a virus I ran it in safe mode blinking Laptop blue cursor crash HP screen screen black with now and started a scan and began HP Laptop blue screen crash now black screen with blinking cursor transporting my pictures via Dropbox just in case it died on me Sure enough a weird error message couldnt HP Laptop blue screen crash now black screen with blinking cursor figure out what program made the message pop up popped up saying I had a bunch of urgent viruses I didn t click on it at all and before I couldn t think of what to do the blue screen popped up and it shut down When I tried to restart it the HP splash sign popped up and the screen flickered black and a blinking HP Laptop blue screen crash now black screen with blinking cursor cursor started in the upper left corner So this is where I stand now Black screen with blinking cursor Set default setting in BIOS didn t work and F safe mode or F system restore does nothing The black screen just stays there Any ideas Is it a gonner I m hoping to get back on and get my pictures if possible Help please nbsp

A:HP Laptop blue screen crash now black screen with blinking cursor

sounds like a bug -click report and ask to move to malware forum

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-laptop-blue-screen-crash-now-black-screen-with-blinking-cursor.1033666/
Relevancy 106.21%

Turn computer on, it only gets to the black screen w dell on it and lower right corner shows f2 set up and f12 boot options but those don't work,will not start up n safe mode

A:Vista Dell Studio black screen froze can't start in safe mode

Were there any symptoms/problems prior to this?
Remove the battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Try to boot with and without the battery.
If F2 and F12 don't work you have a serious problem,
Have you tried booting from a CD/DVD?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/vista-dell-studio-black-screen-froze-cant-start-in-safe-mode.159047/
Relevancy 105.78%

Even in safe mode I have some problems. Internet explorer restarts or windows explorer.

I have already cleaned out the inside of my computer and the fan .

I have already formatted the C drive and re-installed Vista. What can the problem be?

Also it doesn't allow me to install Updates, it usually gets an error message saying something like Internet Module or Host was closed. When I start Windows normally I usually hear the computer loading a lot, especially if I try to install a program or watch a video. And it crashes when I'm doing too much activity or sometimes just when im not doing anything

My computer is 3 years old. I have 3 Primary drives , from what I saw , the C D and E. And I have 1 external hard drive which I have turned off.

A:Vista works in Safe mode but crashes and gets blue screen in normal

***** Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html)Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.***** A. If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option AB. If you have only one RAM stick installed......run memtest...1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-....iso.zip file.3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-....iso file.4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive. 6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:8. Locate memtest86+-....iso file, and click Open button.9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.The following image is the test results area:The most important item here is the ?errors? line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/301468/vista-works-in-safe-mode-but-crashes-and-gets-blue-screen-in-normal/
Relevancy 105.35%

Basically I woke up this morning to my computer and 7 screen to disc te black check w/ Boots (also cursor Windows does sitting at a black screen with the cursor visible I'm able to move the cursor but do nothing else I rebooted my computer my manually shutting it off and then it started up as it would normally but did this disc check http i imgur com BKfTU jpg from there it moves back to the black screen with the cursor I again restarted and booted in safe mode this time I was then Windows 7 Boots to black screen w/ cursor (also does disc check and te able to reach windows and tried to do a system restore to an earlier point When i did this i was greeted with this error http i imgur com ZwV B jpg Finally here is my harddrive just in case http i imgur com JXnZ jpg I exported my full system info so please let me know if more info is necessary OS Name Microsoft Windows Professional Version Service Pack Build Other OS Description Not Available OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name System Manufacturer INTEL System Model DH BL System Type x -based PC Processor Intel R Core TM i - CPU GHz Mhz Core s Logical Processor s BIOS Version Date Intel Corp BLH H A SMBIOS Version Windows Directory C Windows System Directory C Windows system Boot Device Device HarddiskVolume

A:Windows 7 Boots to black screen w/ cursor (also does disc check and te

runtaylor,

wonderful start to the day!

all is not lost.

in all that info about your system, I missed whether it is a 32 bit or 64 bit version of Win7 and the manufacturer of your hard drive.

Why is that important?

I would like for you to go to a Win 7 system which works and which also has a 32 bit verion installed, if you have the 32 bit version installed--or to go to a 64 bit system if that is what is installed.

Now you will make a System Repair Disc on that system and here is how:
CREATE A SYSTEM REPAIR DISC

START | type System Repair | Enter key | Create Disc button
=========================================
=========================================

If you have a Win 7 DVD, then you can skip that step.

What you are going to do is:
Boot up from one or the other.
Get to the System Repair options
Run a System Restore NOT!!! a System Repair.

We've got tutorials for both cases, but let me see if I can find a write-up which may get you there easier:

here's one of the two:
SYSTEM RECOVERY / REPAIR OPTIONS
USING YOUR SYSTEM REPAIR DISC

Insert Win 7 SYSTEM REPAIR DISC into the optical reader.

Shutdown your computer.
Power up your computer.

A dialog window will appear:
Select your Language Preference | NEXT button

Select desired operating system if more than 1 shown |
Use recovery tools... Radio button | NEXT button

Select the desired repair option
Startup Repair
System Restore
System Image Recovery
Windows Memory Diagnostic
Command Prompt

===============================
For Startup Repair
1) Click on System Repair and run system repair
2) Reboot
3) Repeat this sequence 3 times

For System Restore
Choose a different restore point radio button | NEXT
Show more restore points checkbox (lower left) |
Highlight the desired restore point |
Scan for affected programs (lower right) |
When you find a usable restore point, then CLOSE | NEXT |
YES | Your computer will restart to finish the restore |
After the computer has restarted, FINISH
To restore your computer using an image you created using Win 7 Backup
Click on System Image Recovery

NOTE:
You may need to tell your computer to boot from the optical drive.
Power Up your computer.
Immediately start hitting the F12 key
Choose CD/DVD from the menu

If your computer doesn?t offer this capability, try tapping the F2 key to get to the BIOS to change the boot order.

and here is the other

USING SYSTEM RECOVERY OPTIONS USING A WIN 7 DVD

1) Insert Win 7 DVD into optical reader.
2) Shutdown computer.
3) Boot up computer from the Win 7 DVD
If your computer doesn?t boot from the optical drive, then
Immediately after pushing your Power ON button,
Immediately start hitting the F12 key
Choose CD/DVD from the menu

If your computer doesn?t offer this capability, then try tapping F2 key instead of the F12 key to get to the BIOS to change the boot order.
4) Select your Language Preference, NEXT button
5) Click on Repair your Computer
6) Select your operating system, click on NEXT
7) Select the desired repair option
Startup Repair
System Restore
System Image Recovery
Windows Memory Diagnostic
Command Prompt
For Startup Repair
1) Click on System Repair and run system repair
2) Reboot
3) Repeat this sequence 3 times

For System Restore
Click on System Restore

To restore your computer using an image you created using Win 7 Backup
Click on System Image Recovery

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/241099-windows-7-boots-black-screen-w-cursor-also-does-disc-check-te.html
Relevancy 105.35%

Hi Everyone I'm having issues with my Windows bit PC My issues are almost IDENTICAL to this post here http www bleepingcomputer com forums t windows- -frozen-black-screen-with-white-blinking-cursor I was organizing files when Black Screen 7 White with Cursor Virus Boots to Windows after everything closed Microsoft Windows 7 Boots to Black Screen with White Cursor after Virus Security Essentials appears saying Threat Detected and now my computer will not boot even to safe mode It will boot to a Windows Repair disc which I've done and tried running startup repair and system restore None of the system restore points work they all give me the message An unspecified error occurred during System Restore x ffff I've taken the first steps of running Farbar I definitely need some help with the fixlist text file THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE Here is the log Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST txt x Version - - Ran by SYSTEM on - - Running from G Windows Professional Service Pack X OS Language English US Internet Explorer Version Boot Mode Recovery The current controlset is ControlSet ATTENTION gt FRST is updated to run from normal or Safe mode to produce a full FRST txt log and an extra Addition txt log Registry Whitelisted HKLM Run BCSSync - C Program Files Microsoft Office Office BCSSync exe DelayServices - - Microsoft Corporation HKLM Run nwiz - C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation nview nwiz exe installquiet - - HKLM Run LogMeIn GUI - C Program Files x LogMeIn x LogMeInSystray exe - - LogMeIn Inc HKLM Run MSC - c Program Files Microsoft Security Client msseces exe -hide -runkey - - Microsoft Corporation HKLM RunOnce Restore - C Windows system rstrui exe RUNONCE - - Microsoft Corporation HKLM-x Run SunJavaUpdateSched - C Program Files x Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe - - Sun Microsystems Inc HKLM-x Run APSDaemon - C Program Files x Common Files Apple Apple Application Support APSDaemon exe - - Apple Inc HKLM-x Run QuickTime Task - C Program Files x QuickTime QTTask exe -atboottime - - Apple Inc HKLM-x Run Adobe ARM - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe ARM AdobeARM exe - - Adobe Systems Incorporated HKU CAD Run Google Update - C Users CAD AppData Local Google Update GoogleUpdate exe c - - Google Inc HKU CAD Run Wisdom-soft ScreenHunter Pro - x HKU CAD Run Autodesk Sync - C Program Files Autodesk Autodesk Sync AdSync exe - - Autodesk Inc HKU Default RunOnce mctadmin - C Windows System mctadmin exe - - Microsoft Corporation HKU Default User RunOnce mctadmin - C Windows System mctadmin exe - - Microsoft Corporation Startup C ProgramData Start Menu Programs Startup SolidWorks Fast Start lnk ShortcutTarget SolidWorks Fast Start lnk - gt C Windows Installer B B EA E-B F- D-A -B FB NewShortcut EDF C D A B B F FE C A D exe Flexera Software Inc Startup C ProgramData Start Menu Programs Startup SolidWorks Fast Start lnk ShortcutTarget SolidWorks Fast Start lnk - gt C Windows Installer FFA C - A B- C E- - B C NewShortcut EDF C D A B B F FE C A D exe Flexera Software LLC Startup C ProgramData Start Menu Programs Startup SolidWorks Background Downloader lnk ShortcutTarget SolidWorks Background Downloader lnk - gt C Program Files x Common Files SolidWorks Installation Manager BackgroundDownloading sldBgDwld exe Dassault Syst mes SolidWorks Corp Startup C Users CAD AppData Roaming Microsoft Windows Start Menu Programs Startup Adobe Gamma lnk ShortcutTarget Adobe Gamma lnk - gt C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Calibration Adobe Gamma Loader exe Adobe Systems Inc Startup C Users CAD AppData Roaming Microsoft Windows Start Menu Programs Startup Dropbox lnk ShortcutTarget Dropbox lnk - gt No File Services Whitelisted S Adobe LM Service C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Systems Shared Service Adobelmsvc exe - - Adobe Systems S CoordinatorServiceHost C Program Files SolidWorks Corp SolidWorks swScheduler DTSCoordinatorService exe - - Dassault Syst mes SolidWorks Corp S DraftSight API Service C Program Files x Dassault Systemes D... Read more

A:Windows 7 Boots to Black Screen with White Cursor after Virus

Problem resolved per OP.