Windows Support Forum

Win7 User Name-Change

Q: Win7 User Name-Change

Dear Members I have the need to delete remove the registered Username from a recently purchased Laptop comp running Win Home Premium I purchased User Win7 Name-Change the lappy from JB complete with Win and various programs pre-loaded normal deal for a young lady friend for Christmas Together we set the item up for her but I had Win7 User Name-Change the impression that said lady was completely underwhelmed by this item she having basic understanding of - and little need for - such an item Her true wish was for an external hard drive which I later purchased for her retrieving the laptop as it would never have been used Now my prob is that the I wish to remove her User name from the system and replace it with another it potentially being embarrassing should another female friend see this current Username appear on-screen and query Win7 User Name-Change its reason for being I appreciate that there appear to be various tech consequences of deleting this name if done incorrectly if at all possible and therefore am praying that some members out there may be of assistance in this matter Is anybody able to assist me with this problem please Any questions you might have will be answered to the best of my ability just as I will endeavour to follow any advice to the best of my ability Thanking you in anticipation Fellow Member Peejabe

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Win7 User Name-Change

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Win7 User Name-Change

first thing to do is got to start/control panel /users and create a new acct with administrator right ,using your name .after doing that restart computer and enter under the new acct ,go to users again and delete her acct it will ask if you want to save files [like mydocuments and music and such] if you want to say yes ,and continue .
if htats not whay you want to do ,then in users just simply change the name on her acct

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/309898/win7-user-name-change/
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi I'm newto this forum I recently handed my laptop to the company computer gimp because he had to set me up on the company domain He has done this but I cannot change my desktop or add a new user in the control panel I am wondering what else has been done It also requires admin privileges for new installs but mine is an admin account On the local profile add Why can't Pro Win7 change desktop x64? I new or user a my in I can change my desktop but I can't add a new user the option has been removed from control panel user accounts On the network profile I cannot do anything yet I am admin Is there a way to remove these restriction certainly on the local profile Is there a way to see the most recent changes to the system and undo these Does it have anything to Why can't I change my desktop or add a new user in Win7 Pro x64? do with the isa firewall and its config I think not because nothing changes when I disbale it Any thoughts on how to regain FULL control of my Lenovo laptop with WIN x Thanks

A:Why can't I change my desktop or add a new user in Win7 Pro x64?

Minim, Welcome to the windows 7 forum.

Your system administrator has joined your computer to their domain where the features are disabled for regular users. You might think your an admin but something tells me that it is not a true admin.

Have you talked to the system admin about your problem?
They might have a really good reason to not allow you to add users as when your on a domain, the Active Directory has control of users and priv's.

The only way to regain full control of your laptop is to wipe and start over but then your going to get into trouble with your administration.

Best to talk to the admins.

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/289567-why-cant-i-change-my-desktop-add-new-user-win7-pro-x64.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Having just learned from an OLD post here that renaming a user account apparently doesn't change the order in which the corresponding logon icons appear at startup -- due to the order being apparently determined by when each folder was originally created, which was when this computer was first opened back in 2011 -- I want to be able, after creating a new user account, to migrate data from the account whose name I changed. I'd been previously suggested to try User Profile Wizard from Forensit.com... would this be a good idea, or can you suggest something different?

HP/Compaq CQ2014, AMD E-300, Radeon HD graphics, Win7 Home Premium 64-bit custom SP1, 3MB RAM, 500GB disk

Bob

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/392313-create-new-user-migrate-old-users-data-change-logon-icon-order.html
Relevancy 51.6%

(reposted from Customization)

Having just learned from an OLD post here that renaming a user account apparently doesn't change the order in which the corresponding logon icons appear at startup -- due to the order being apparently determined by when each folder was originally created, which was when this computer was first opened back in 2011 -- I want to be able, after creating a new user account, to migrate data from the account whose name I changed. I'd been previously suggested to try User Profile Wizard from Forensit.com... would this be a good idea, or can you suggest something different?

HP/Compaq CQ2014, AMD E-300, Radeon HD graphics, Win7 Home Premium 64-bit custom SP1, 3MB RAM, 500GB disk

Bob

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/392449-create-new-user-migrate-old-users-data-change-logon-icon-order.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hey I recently started to notice some strange activity on my MacBook, and am unable to change the root user, along with this on my console the country code sometimes changes to NL without me doing so. Sometimes I also get a message on my console saying "parental controls, start observing". Is there something fishy going on ?, any help much appreciated, thanks

A:Unable to change root user and country change on console, mac osx

Please post any operating (or infection) problems to the Mac forum area, as they are not handled here ...........

Operating Systems → Mac OS  ...............

Thank You - - - -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/552928/unable-to-change-root-user-and-country-change-on-console-mac-osx/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi there only Sharing user Win7 Folder 1 for Win7 to I'm having difficulty understanding File and folder sharing with Windows I have several PCs all running Windows Ultimate x on a home network in the same workgroup called quot Workgroup quot What I want to do Folder Sharing Win7 to Win7 for 1 user only is share folder for me called quot Chris quot that no one else can access but me on a PC named quot Bear-den quot I use as a media server I have a Homegroup set up on this PC and working fine so everyone in my house can access my media Folder Sharing Win7 to Win7 for 1 user only on it and that is great I do not want my Homegroup users to see or access the quot Chris quot folder If they can see it I guess I can live with that but I definately don't want them to be able to access it Now the quot Chris quot folder I want shared for me only is shared by right clicking it and selected specific Folder Sharing Win7 to Win7 for 1 user only user me I can access it only if I am logged in to that PC I cannot access the folder from any other PC that I am logged into I am using the same username and password on all my PCs and although I can see the folder i cannot access it I get the message quot Windows cannot access Bear-den chris You do not have permission to access bear-den Chris Contact your network administrator to request access quot It never asks me for credentials when I double click the folder I know I have to have a user account on each Win PC but I can't figure out why this is not working Network Discovery is turned on File and Print Sharing is Turned on Any help would be appreciated Thanks

A:Folder Sharing Win7 to Win7 for 1 user only

I would logon to PC Bear-Den, go to your Chris folder.

Right click "chris" folder. Click properties. Open Security tab. Just below the box "group or user names" click Edit. Click Add

Click locations button. Now it should show you a list of other PC's in your network. I think they would need to be on. Pick your other PC (not Bear-Den), click OK. Now the line "From this location" should have your second PC name, instead of Bear-Den.

In the bottom white box you should be able to add "chris" then click OK. This should now add ...........

Chris (Other-PC\Chris) or similar

to your "Group or User Names" box on the previous window.
Click "Chris(Other-PC\Chris), so it is highlighted in blue then go down to the bottom box and set your permissions. I would assume you want to fully manage that folder so click "full control", then click Apply.

You would have to do this from each PC you add to your network if you want it to be able to access your folder.

Sorry it's written, and not numerically ordered, like 1)click this 2) click that.....

I have actually disabled my Homegroup and run strictly with workgroup, being an ex-XP/Vista guy.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/123267-folder-sharing-win7-win7-1-user-only.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I installed Win x with a user name quot user quot a long time ago At some point I changed the User's name to quot Karen quot to make it easier to spot on the home network etc The Computer Name quot Dell quot has not changed Today I wanted to connect to the computer quot Karen quot using my workgroup not a homegroup All of my other computers now share with workgroup However the computer quot I Name user the and user's the Can remove old change completely name? Karen quot does not Can I change the user's Name and completely remove the old user name? require a password to logon so when I tried to connect via the workgroup I got a popup box asking for the Credentials to Connect I need to enter the User Name and Password to connect to quot Dell quot And I and wife don't know the password Anyways I reset the password using the quot Reset Forgotten Password quot tutorial going into registry etc That worked but I still could not access the computer Karen - windows would not accept the password Running quot net users Can I change the user's Name and completely remove the old user name? quot I see that I don't have a User quot Karen quot I have a user quot user quot So i used that user name with the new password and I'm connected All is good But how do I get rid of quot user quot and replace with quot Karen quot Can this be done

A:Can I change the user's Name and completely remove the old user name?

Quote: Originally Posted by CountryBumkin

But how do I get rid of "user1" and replace with "Karen"? Can this be done?

When a new user is created in Windows, either the first user when Windows is installed or any user later on, and the new user has signed in to Windows first time, the user profile is created and named. Any later username change does not change the name of the user profile.

An example, if my ex-wife had created a user account for me on a Windows computer she had most probably named it as "Idiot". If I then later on changed my username on that computer from "Idiot" to "Kari", my profile had remained as "Idiot".

Basically, the easiest way to change this is to create a new user account and profile with the preferred name, copy the personal files and folders from C:\Users\Wrong_Username folder to C:\Users\New_Username, and delete the user Wrong_Username completely.

In your case now you can try the method told in this tutorial: User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/372135-can-i-change-users-name-completely-remove-old-user-name.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi there,

In Win-7, as an admin-user, it was easy to change the picture from another user. In Win-8 I'm only able to find where I can change my own picture. Can't I set it anymore for other users?

Cheers.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/11409-change-user-account-picture-another-user.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi,
I have a Windows 8.1 system on a lap top that was used by a former employee. Her name was still on user name and I couldn't change it without Admin privileges (otherwise was asking for a smart card). Found out how to get in to admin in safe mode with Net
User Admin yes- then discovered that the old log in and information / desk top is no longer available. The docs are under Users (old employee's name) in C drive, but the docs and settings no longer show up and the admin log in is the only one available - no
option to change users.
When I went in and said Net User Admin no - thinking if I disabled admin user it would go back to the old log in -  there was no log in available at all.

Help?
Launa

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/56c281dc-3368-4418-93ac-3cd96832c513/enabled-net-user-admin-to-change-an-account-name-cant-change-name-and-now-origial-login-account?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 47.3%

OS Windows XP v Professional SP I restored the computer system as I had lost everything stored in the old user profile A NEW USER PROFILE mlinda quot is created with the correct domain attached to it eg CAA MAU and is fully restored The OLD USER PROFILE quot m linda quot remains in the documents and settings BUT - the domain is of a local computer eg SPARXX and it no longer works with the eg CAA MAU domain The original quot m linda quot user profile contains almost nothing in it no documents etc m linda is still listed in the userlist in computer management BUT 2 (fully name user user restored) new profile old ? Urgent-How profile change to back NOT THE NEW mlinda In administrator mode I dont t see ALL the contents of the newly restored profile Questions How do I change user profile quot mlinda Urgent-How 2 change new user profile (fully restored) back to old user profile name ? quot that has successfully retored everthing back to quot m linda quot since the new profile has everything intact How do I safely delete the newly restored quot mlinda quot and ensure everything is back to normal with the OLD USER PROFILE m linda How to ensure that the correct domain name is attached to the profile by transferring all the data from THE NEW mlinda eg domain CAA MAU to THE OLD m linda that currently has a local computer domain SPARXX User profile m linda has to be attched to domain CAA MAU Should I be backing up before eventhough the new mlinda is in super condition I read in forums that the links to desktop can be lost by transfering How do I retain it Do I have to change anything in the registry value Should I do it with Administrator account in normal mode or safe mode When I log on as an Administrator both mlinda and m linda is as brand new and none of the exisiting files in it When I log in as mlinda new I still see m linda local computer domain in the user list but not mlinda the new But when I right click properties of c documents and setting mlinda under security I see that mlinda is listed with the correct domain name My biggeest fear is not to lose the domain ouutlook etc while changing mlinda to m linda B Rather than going through a process of copying mlinda to m linda Is it possible just delete THE OLD USER PROFILE m linda and rename the THE NEW USER PROFILE mlinda since this is fully restored to m linda If yes what are the best steps And how can I make the adjustments to user list since when wondows starts there is only THE NEW PROFILE mlinda popping up I need it back to m linda I read in a forum that I can go to registry HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVer Profilelist and change but I don t want to mess with it In my case in the registry i should I delete m linda first and rename mlinda to m linda This is rather urgent and need to fix today All your help are truly appreciated Thank you nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/urgent-how-2-change-new-user-profile-fully-restored-back-to-old-user-profile-name.1004093/
Relevancy 47.3%

Howdy All -
I'm thinking I'm not the first nor the last to have MS trick me into changing my User Name from Local to (in my case) an outlook.com email account. Now I'm forced to sign in every time I log on. And FWIW, I prefer to be fully in charge of my devices.
-
I surely would appreciate some guidance on the proper way to switch back to a Local User and disassociate my computer from outlook.com. Many thanks in advance for reading this and all replies.

Best,
/jdU

A:Proper (Safe) way to change from "Microsoft.com" User to Local User

Settings>>Accounts>>Under your Microsoft Account listing, click on "Change to a Local account instead".

Local Account - Switch to in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/49640-proper-safe-way-change-microsoft-com-user-local-user.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I'm setting up Win for the st time on a Lenovo Win laptop It had to do a ton of upgrades before all the features would work like the touch screen amp task bar Once all the updates were completed I started to set it up Somehow I missed the part where you put a name to the quot USER quot in the C drive On my Asus it says This USER? This to edit/change "USER" How > user > in: C: PC> PC gt C gt user gt johnf But on the Lenovo is says This PC gt C gt user gt USER I went in amp changed the Local Account Admin to a Name I wanted hoping that would change quot USER quot to quot rocco quot but it didn't I know that all programs installed in the future will have a path that looks like This How to edit/change "USER" in: This PC> C: > user > USER? PC gt How to edit/change "USER" in: This PC> C: > user > USER? C gt user gt USER gt Dropbox unless I can change it I'm not very far into setting the laptop up so I want to make sure I don't keep moving forward in case I have to reset or roll back anything How can I fix this problem Also why do I have a C drive GB amp a D drive GB after I did the Win update it had Win on it but needed to upgrade to a newer version amp now I have a D drive that i did not create Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/how-to-edit-change-user-in-this-pc-c-user-user-1145193.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I want to a run a program that is only available for 64-bit Windows on my Acer desktop. Can I get an upgrade or do I need a whole new Windows?

A:How do I change from Win7 32-bit to 64-bit?

It takes a whole new Windows install to switch from 32 bit to 64 bit. You will also have to reinstall all your applications, though you won't have to get 64 it versions of them. You will have to have 64 bit drivers for all your hardware. It's a real pain... When I have done this for people in the past, I've used one of the 'migrate to a new computer' packages to move user data and applications. I've had various levels of luck in gtting all apps to move though.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-7/How-do-I-change-from-Win7-32-bit-to-64-bit/td-p/372958
Relevancy 45.15%

I want to change my Win 7 to XP. The Window7 has been giving me a lot of problems lately. It can't no longer recognise even ordinary flash drives. When I was trying to print from it, it wouldn't print. Especially when i'm printing Pictures or design from my AutoCard or Paunch. I just need to go back to XP so that I can have full range of services XP has. I will be extreemely glad if you guys will put me through

Relevancy 45.15%

I want to a run a program that is only available for 64-bit Windows on my Acer desktop. Can I get an upgrade or do I need a whole new Windows?

A:How do I change from Win7 32-bit to 64-bit?

It takes a whole new Windows install to switch from 32 bit to 64 bit. You will also have to reinstall all your applications, though you won't have to get 64 it versions of them. You will have to have 64 bit drivers for all your hardware. It's a real pain... When I have done this for people in the past, I've used one of the 'migrate to a new computer' packages to move user data and applications. I've had various levels of luck in gtting all apps to move though.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-7/How-do-I-change-from-Win7-32-bit-to-64-bit/td-p/372958/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 44.72%

I am laptop user. About 2hr ago, i login to my lappy and discover that my profile is different. My folders on desktop went missing and some of the setting changed. Then i try on my own to solve it but to no avail. Fortunately i come upon my C:\Documents and Settings and discover that strange profile C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP and my original profile C:\Documents and Settings\p0716499 was still there. This imply that my previous setting and files are still in my laptop. However, I cant changed back to the original profile and struck with the temp profile.
Initially i suspect is registry problem so i DL "UPHClean Service" by miscosoft but to no avail. Now currently i suspect it might be the work of a virus. I need help. Thank anyone who help me in advance.

A:User profile path change to user profile path change to C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP :\Documents and Settings...

This morning when i woke up, i discovered a icon named "syminstallstub" on my desktop. I checked online and i believe that it could be a virus. I try to find ways to uninstall it but to no avail I not sure what did my younger brother do to my laptop. I feel that im damn unlucky and encounter 2 problems in a row. Please help me solve my problems.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/394384/user-profile-path-change-to-user-profile-path-change-to-cdocuments-and-settingstemp-documents-and-settingstemp/
Relevancy 44.72%

Here's what I'd like to do I've got vista on my first disk which is a regular hdd I installed win on a new ssd a month or so ago I wanted to get rid of my vista installation since I am no longer using it and then I wanted to format the vista disk and use it to save all my data on it rather than Multiboot from win7 Help to change with just the SSD However my current problem is how to get quot rid quot of the vista installation while still being able to boot to Win I've looked at bcdedit from win and it seems that all the boot info is on that vista drive I unhid OS files etc and it Help with change from Multiboot to just win7 does indeed look like they are on the vista disk I sort of expected this so I'm not surprised to find out that it is there So here are my questions Help with change from Multiboot to just win7 What do I need to copy to the SSD and what do I need to edit to make the SSD bootable I'm pretty sure I need to go into disk management and set the SSD to be the active system partition but I also suspect that there is some other stuff I need to copy to the SSD from the Vista disk and maybe I need to edit the bcd and maybe some other registry info Thanks very much with any help

A:Help with change from Multiboot to just win7

Rt click and RUN AS ADMIN on sisparv6.cmd

select ssd drive letter as new system partition.

select N to including existing boot menu entries.

select the Vista drive letter to make inactive.

That's it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/91386-help-change-multiboot-just-win7.html
Relevancy 44.72%

hi guys, i need ur help. i bought laptop in china n win7 basic in chinese, any software to change the language into english without upgrade into ultimate edition?

thank u so much

A:win7 change languange

We have heard from users who changed languages in the same version and were able to activate with the Product Key on COA sticker, however this may be some type of regional allowance or have to do with the manufacturer's licensing agreements.

What I would do is make a partition to install Chinese Basic then try to activate it with key on your COA sticker. If it works we can help you eventually remove the English copy, if not you can simply delete the partition in Disk Mgmt.

It would work just like this: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and Vista

You can also ask your manufacturer's tech support if English same version will work, or how to do it affordably.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/201303-win7-change-languange.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I have a windows 7 small PC with two user accounts "Guest" and the one I use. I rarely if ever log in on the guest account. However sometimes I would come back to this PC and notice it is logged in as guest. This usually happens in the morning. This is a PC only I ever use yet I often see it signed in as guest without my doing. I've also noticed that after this happens my bluetooth headset acts odd. I can hear feedback from the microphone. As in instead of playing just the sound from the PC on the earphones I can barely hear them and instead I hear the sounds from the microphone. What could be causing this?

A:Phantom User on Win7

Quote: Originally Posted by Cue

I have a windows 7 small PC with two user accounts "Guest" and the one I use. I rarely if ever log in on the guest account. However sometimes I would come back to this PC and notice it is logged in as guest. This usually happens in the morning. This is a PC only I ever use yet I often see it signed in as guest without my doing. I've also noticed that after this happens my bluetooth headset acts odd. I can hear feedback from the microphone. As in instead of playing just the sound from the PC on the earphones I can barely hear them and instead I hear the sounds from the microphone. What could be causing this?

Think you might have a ghost there em could you not just disable the guest account and see if that makes a difference. But I never seen this problem but i would just disable the account if not in use

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/269536-phantom-user-win7.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I would like to change my user name on this forum, is this possible. And if so how do I do it? Thanks

Relevancy 44.29%

Hi Guys

I know this might sound easy, but I have spent the last 24 hours trying to do this! I have been trying:

Start - Control Panel - User Accounts - Select User - Change Name

and the user name has changed and I thought everything was okay. However this appears to be only a visible change, as I have a program that uses this name and it is still reporting the previous user name.

Am I missing something? I created a new user account and my program reports the new user name

Any help would be gratefully received

Thanks

Neil

A:How Do I Change A User Name?

Are you using the method described on this page?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/108936/how-do-i-change-a-user-name/
Relevancy 44.29%

when I setup my new dell inspiron with windows 10, I did not know how it assigned the user names shown on the login, I would like to change them. How can I change the user names. I have 3 and want to change all of them

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-name-change.1164107/
Relevancy 44.29%

After I installed Windows 10, I created a Microsoft online account to see what it was like. During the process, it changed the name on my local Windows 10 user account. I used Control Panel to go to Users, but there seemed to be no way to change the name back to the original. It's the only account on the computer. Surely changing the name is possible, but how? Will I have to create a new administrator account and delete the old one?

A:Can't change User name

This worked for me:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/user-account-name-change

Hope it helps.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/10542-cant-change-user-name.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I bought a new computer and gave my old one to my wife, both are Win 7 Home Premium. When hers first started it came up with my User name and picture so I changed my name to hers and my picture to hers. Unfortunately that was the only place it changed User names. When I look at the Home Group on my computer I have 2 computers with my name! Also iTunes has my name in the file for hers.
I have Senior Moments and get confused very easily. Is there a correct way to change the User name on her computer to eliminate my confusion?

A:User name change

Welcome to the Forums!

Please refer to the following Tutorial:

User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name

If you still have some questions, at the bottom of the tutorial there are links to other tutorials relevant to your question.

Hope this helps!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/179801-user-name-change.html
Relevancy 44.29%

i have an NT server 4.0 and it automatically logs in. now i want to login as an administrator now, but every time i reboot or control alt delete to log off, it just logs right back on as the auto login guy. how do i sign in as the admin????

A:change user???

Hold down the left shift key while logging off and keep it held down until the system pops-up the logon screen. At that point, type in the new name and password.

Don't hit esc or click cancel or go away for any length of time, as it will proceed to logon with the old user.

After you are through and logoff again, you will get an error message and you will have to re-enter the auto login info at the logon screen.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-user.73509/
Relevancy 44.29%

Is there a way to change the user name on a Windows XP computer? I replaced someone else in a position and need to keep all their files, etc. But it is annoying to keep logging in as her. And I reallyl don't want to try to figure out how to transfer all her everything into a new user name set up for me. Needless to say, I know any passwords involved.

Thank you

A:Change user name

Scroll down on the page lionked below and it covers changing the user account:
http://help.expedient.net/general/winxp_profiles.shtml

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-user-name.379947/
Relevancy 44.29%

I changed the name of my pc and I am the only user of my pc and do have the admin rights however there is still a folder out there with the old name and I do not have permissions to change it due to it being in settings. I am referring to the folders named
Michael
Public.
Michael should read Tami where do I go to change this?

Thanks

A:change user name

When you "Rename" an user account it ONLY changes the name and NOT the related folder.

The only way to get a new name with a new folder, is to make a new user account and then move/copy all files from the old to the new.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-user-name.1158197/
Relevancy 44.29%

My computer came with the user name of "Valued Customer". I have changed the account name, but the user name has stayed the same. Can I change the user name in Windows 7, Home Premium?

A:Change User Name

The only way to change the name is to open a new account, transfer everything over and delete the old account.

To avoid being corrected, allow me to add that you probably can by a registry hack, but I would not try a procedure like that, risking a potential problem later on.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/97784-change-user-name.html
Relevancy 44.29%

In my area, Goodwill sells refurbished computers, and I purchased one. The standard practice of Good Will is to create the default user of the computer. In that regard, there is a locked symbol on that account. And I discovered this Naming after I installed all of the Programs on the computer. I need the default user name changed to my choosing because this default name populates all the fields of nomenclature in all installed programs--some of which have to be changed each time. Is there a way to change the name of the locked default user on my computer? Thanks for any help WilbertC.

A:User Name Change

Hi and welcome to TSF you should really speak to goodwill and have them fix the name issue

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/user-name-change-685173.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Is there a way to change my user name on this website? I tried to look and didn't see anything.

A:Change user name?

Hello Petoskey,

Only an Administrator or Super Mod can change your user name. What would you like to have your user name to be instead? I would be happy to change it for you.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/272930-change-user-name.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Running XP Home. Would like to change a User Name in Documents & Settings, but the system says No. Can this be done? Thanks

Relevancy 44.29%

I have just installed Windows Xp Pro Sp2 on my computer. I see after everything is completed I have Administrator as my user name what I would like to know is if there is a way to change the user name safely. I have tried to change the name through the control panel but when I click the user account the option to change account name is not listed .

A:Change Win Xp Pro User Name?

You are logged in using the base administrator account. This account cannot be changed. If you want a different user name you can create a new user account with administrative powers. Normally what happens after that is that you will be able to see only the new user account in normal mode and the base "administrator" account will be visible in safe mode.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-win-xp-pro-user-name.735261/
Relevancy 44.29%

I recently bought a used computer. It had a lock screen on it n I don't know password...can you help

A:Change user

I'm afraid not. From the site rules...
Please do not ask for assistance with (or ways to bypass) a forgotten or unknown password, personal identification number (PIN) or any other type of access code that may be required on a computer, mobile device or web site. As there is no way to verify the actual situation or intent, no assistance will be provided and any such threads will be closed.Click to expand...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-user.1171377/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi Mods is it possible to change my user name at all? would like a hyphen between "steve-pressman" like that

Regards

Steve

A:Can I change my user name ?

Quote: Originally Posted by stevepressman

Hi Mods is it possible to change my user name at all? would like a hyphen between "steve-pressman" like that

Regards

Steve

Hi

Have a read of this:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...nts.html?ltr=U

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/49578-can-i-change-my-user-name.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello, I have just bought a second hand laptop (once again!). I have changed the user name on it to my name (kasim). But the problem is that when i go to Computer and then Users, the user name is still the same as before. The only settings that are on my name is the start menu. Can u please help me change the user name in every setting.

Thanks!

All the settings are the same on this laptop. (Windows Vista, Home Premium etc.)

A:Change User name

Hello Kasim,

When you change your user account name through "User Accounts" in the Control Panel, it only changes the name that is display at log on and in the Start Menu. It will not change the C:\Users\(User-name) folder's original name.

The only way to do this is to create a new account of the same type (administrator or standard), copy the files in all of your old account's C:\Users\(User-name) folder into the corresponding new account's C:\Users\(User-name) folders. After everything checks out ok in the new account, you can then delete the old account from within the new one.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/272905-change-user-name.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi all;

I just bought a new computer with xp on it and the user name is RadioShack.
My name appears in User Accounts as Administrator. Guest is there also.
Under Documents and Settings is "RadioShack"
Very Annoying.
Can you tell me how to change it to my name?
Appreciate any help and thanks.

A:How to Change User Name?

Hi !!!!!!!!!!

follow the instruction:
Control panel>>>administrative tools >>>>> Local Security and policy
>>>> Local policy >>>>> Security option >>>> Accounts: Rename administrator account
Kvijay

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-change-user-name-382571.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi.I have acer aspire one model kav60(AOD250) with os win xp32 bit.is it working on os win 7*64bit or 32 bit.and how to install it.knowing that RAM is 1GB.any precautions or any thing else to do before the change.appreciate any help and answers.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Legacy-Laptops-and-Netbooks/can-i-change-os-from-xp32-to-win7-64-or-32-on-aspire-one-model/td-p/451497
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi!! I would like to check with u guys.. If I bought a new mobo and did a clean re-install of my current OEM 64bit Win7,do I need to get a new license or can I just activate it online??

A:Change of mobo and re-installing Win7

I believe you'll have to renew the licence since OEM licence is "attaced" to MotherBoard

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/216111-change-mobo-re-installing-win7.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I used to be able to really easily change the icon of a particular file type in XP, but I can't remember how.
WinRAR files are showing up with this icon: (winrar icon inside a page)
but I would prefer this icon: (without the page)

How do I change default filetype icon in Win7?
I've looked around and I see all sorts of crazy junk with convoluted steps and registry edits, and I know that in XP there used to be an easy way to do it -- does it still exist?

A:Change file icon in Win7?

Try this: http://izt.name/apps/types/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/change-file-icon-in-win7.192247/
Relevancy 43.86%

I'm new to Win8.1, after using Win7 for many years.
This may be a silly question, but I'm not being able to solve my doubt.
I hate the paper white color on my Win8.1 Excel, Word, Outlook documents and e-mails, not to mention others.
The white background on these documents hurt and tire my eyes.
When using Win7 it was very easy to change the white background to the legal pad yellow, my choice color for documents.
All you had to do was to right-click the desktop, go to Personalization<>Window Color<>Advanced Configurations, and voil?.
How can I do the same in Win8.1?
Any help will be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Flores

A:Win8.1 - How to change colors like in Win7?

You have to use a High Contrast Theme in Windows 8 to change colors.
Right click on the desktop and choose Personalization, choose one of the High Contrast themes, click on 'Color' at the bottom and pick your colors.

(If you have a regular theme unsaved, save it first)

If you save the new High Contrast theme you will be able to switch between the two by pressing left Shift + left Alt + Print Screen.

(High Contrast disables some Windows effects and 'Modern' features)

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/54122-win8-1-how-change-colors-like-win7.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hello everyone!

I have installed a Windows 7 a slovakian language pack. One beautiful day I have decided to change the language from Slovakian into English and than I have downloaded MUI english version for Windows 7. After installing that program everything has been changed into english exept the front page (Welcome) screen. J
Please could you help me to change that into english too.

Thank you in Advance!
David

A:Win7 Welcome screen language change

Quote: Originally Posted by fett400

Hello everyone!

I have installed a Windows 7 a slovakian language pack. One beautiful day I have decided to change the language from Slovakian into English and than I have downloaded MUI english version for Windows 7. After installing that program everything has been changed into english exept the front page (Welcome) screen. J
Please could you help me to change that into english too.

Thank you in Advance!
David

David

Where did you get the win 7 dvd/ was it downloaded, or purchased?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/68192-win7-welcome-screen-language-change.html
Relevancy 43.86%

One thing thats a bit of a pain with Win7 (probably happens in previous OS's too) is that when you go into a folder and 'arrange by' whatever; depending on whether its ascending or descending order, it'll put all the folders at the bottom of the window where I don't want them. I know you can change to details mode, hold ALT, click an arrangement column, then go back into whatever view mode I was in and it'll keep the folders at the top where I want them but I don't want to do all of that, I just want a 1-click solution or a way to stop Win7 from behaving like this, permanently.

I want to make it so by default, all folders are ALWAYS at the top of any window at all times. Is this possible? Thanks!

A:[win7] How Can I Change This Default Behaviour?

I have never had this issue in Windows 7. Only in Windows XP.
When you right-click > Arrange by > Folder, there's no Ascending/Descending.
You only have Ascending/Descending in Sort by. Irregardless of which you select, the folders will be at the top.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/win7-how-can-i-change-this-default-behaviour.313434/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi Folks!

My win7 ultimate was instaled in portuguese (my fist language) but I would like to change it to another language that I am actualy studing right now.

Said that I would like to know where I can find the language pack I want and how I can install it. Icelandic is my fist choice, but If not availble, I will try french (with I am prety sure that are availble).

To finish I would like to know if thouse language pack change every bit of win7 or only the menus.

Thank you all in advance.

Castelo

A:How to change language at win7 ultimate

Hi RegisCastelo, welcome to SevenForums.

Have a look at this thread: win 7 language change

Post #9 from Kari answers all your questions I think.

MK2

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/114613-how-change-language-win7-ultimate.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I change between multiple WiFi networks several times a day I have had this network get WiFi on new change Win7-64 IP won't computer Tecra Z -A Win for two years now It never had problems changing between WiFi Win7-64 WiFi won't get new IP on network change networks I would put it to sleep at one network and wake it again at the new location and it would connect to the new network refresh its DHCP settings and be on the Win7-64 WiFi won't get new IP on network change network with no problem Then a few months ago it stopped doing this It will successfully connect to the new network as before but it will keep the same IP address as the previous network it was on I can turn the WiFi off and on but it doesn't help I have to actually go to the adapter settings screen disable the Wireless network adapter and re-enable it Then it will reconnect and acquire the new IP address I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Wireless NIC drivers made sure I had the latest drivers but it hasn't helped I think this whole thing started when I turned on the Bluetooth But I have it off now and it still has the IP-non-refresh problem Win7-64 WiFi won't get new IP on network change Anyone have any ideas Please don't tell me to run a script to disable and re-enable I know I can do that I did that in Windows but this is not Windows any more I know that this automatic switching from one network to the next can and does work so please help me find a way to restore it

A:Win7-64 WiFi won't get new IP on network change

FYI, ipconfig /release + ipconfig/renew does work to make it refresh the DHCP at the new network. But I don't want to do that in a script either. It was and should be doing that automatically.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/win7-64-wifi-wont-get-new-ip-on-network-change-1109825.html
Relevancy 43.86%

is there, by any chance, a way to change my cable modem static IP under Windows 7?

A:How to change cable modem IP under Win7

if your cable modem's ip is static why would you want to change it

alot of people pay alot of money to get a static ip
just what are you trying to change

how are you connecting the cable modem to the system

are you going str8 to the computer from the modem or to a router then to the computer

if you have a static ip and your going str8 though to the computer your crap outta luck as far as i know call your cable company and ask for a new ip address

if your going thought the cable to a router thats a different story your not looking to change your isp static ip your looking to change your computer network address

in win7 rc all vers click on the network icon in the clock area
then click on open network and sharing
you will get a new window

on your left hand side there is change adapter settings click on it

find your adapter in the listings

click on it to highlight it and then right click it

got down the list till you see internet protocol version 4(tcp\ipv4)

double click on that and then change your settings

make sure you know what your settings are before you change them

to undo this do the same thing then click obtain dns and ip automatically

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/12835-how-change-cable-modem-ip-under-win7.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I had win7 on C:\ and I partitioned 25 GB so that I could install the Win8 90 day evaluation OS.
After the partition, I named the drive X:\ and installed Win8.

I never seen it give me an option to keep my Win7 as the default. It just restarted a few times during the installation.

When I turn on pc or reboot to see if it gives me this option to choose, it doesn't, it just boots into Win8.
Of course I can not delete this win8 partition because I am in it.

I need to get back to my C:\ drive with win7 on it and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
sM319

A:How to change Win7 as my default OS from Win8?

Welcome to EightForums.

Sonds like you installed Windows 8 to Windows 7 partition.

Can you post a screen shot of Disk management?

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Eight Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/15106-how-change-win7-my-default-os-win8.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Windows Ultimate x SP Is there couple win7 question(new user) I have of is a way to make the preview panel preview files not associated to Windows Media Player I use foobar for audio and if I associate the audio files the preview panel will not play them Is I have couple of question(new win7 user) there is a way to make the preview panel auto play the file not having to click on the I have couple of question(new win7 user) play button every time Is it possible the preview panel to keep his size it's annoying when you set it and shortly after that when you open another window the panel to either be too wide or too narrow Is there is any gadget that can show the cpu temp and speed per core Any good alternatives to StatBar For some unknown reason I have a lot of restrictions to my second drive which I used before on my old pc with Windows XP I connect the drive after I installed Win There are many program that don't work correctly if UAC is enabled it's not good idea to disable it but if I do the pc becomes MUCH more usable than when it's enabled Stereo Mix recording is really quiet unless I increase the output volume to at least which is a problem since I use headphones and is more than enough Anyone know of a program that can use the nvidia NVENC and Intel Quick Sync I prefer to not use the cpu so much the cpu temp jumps to C while converting and go down by when the task finish normally the temp is between and if there a way to make the video converting process much easier if possible freeware and if there is a portable version it will be even better

A:I have couple of question(new win7 user)

Hello,

#1 I never use Windows Explorer, and it's probably NOT about to play nice with a 3rd party utility, would be my best guess, if that is the preview panel you are referencing here. I use 1by1 for mp3 playing found here (as well as foobar):
mpesch3.de - Homepage of mp3DirectCut and 1by1 - free MP3 editor and directory player

#2 wise search on Windows 7 gadgets, M$ took down their own support for them after v8 came out:
Windows 7 gadget downloads - Dogpile Web Search

#3 I don't use constant tools for monitoring, if I want to know the scoop one option is Resource Monitor built into 7.
cpuid.com has good tools which are nice testing tools and free:
CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

Also Speccy from piriform.com will give you more info then most would want, but a cool tool, also:
Speccy - System Information - Free Download
#5 disable UAC, no problem, that is one of the first things I disable when installing 7, assuming you don't need it and this is not a work computer with an IT dept with their own rules.

#6 check the recording device levels: Levels tab off properties from the input device. (right click the volume icon from your task tray and take recording devices)

#7 Conversions are CPU intensive, 70C is not a problem.

#4 I think requires more info from you, what exact messages are you getting, post screen shots if you can.

Use the search feature of our forums and the tutorial section (it's huge).

Also, couple = 2 and 7 would qualify as several. muhahaha! Welcome to Seven Forums!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/351576-i-have-couple-question-new-win7-user.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Is there a cmd that I can set in Windows so I only have to click yes one time (in the attached picture) when I start a prog? Right now I have to click yes on the box every time I start the prog even though the prog is set to run as administrator. Also sometimes when I right click on a directory in FreeCommander The prog stops working and "prog has stopped responding" shows up in the blue line on the top of the box. And when that happens I have to use Windows Explorer to complete the action or FreeCommander will stop running again. I have tried all 3 version's of the prog. I still have the same problem.
Steve

A:re: win7 user account control box

Hello Steve,

If you like, you could use the option in the tutorial below to create an elevated shortcut to run the program elevated without getting a UAC prompt.

Elevated Program Shortcut without UAC Prompt - Create

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/348148-re-win7-user-account-control-box.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I have just set up a new Win7 computer and am trying to access the HD across a home wireless network from my XP laptop. XP can see the Win7 but it is asking for USER NAME and PASSWORD. I put in, what i think is, my user name on the Win7 in the dialog box and then put in the password that I use to log into the Win7 when I boot it up but it rejects these. I went to look on the Win7 for user name and password and can't seem to find it in PROPERTIES of COMUPTER.

Can anyone help me with where the info it's asking for can be found?

Thanks,

Ken

A:How do I identify my user name to log onto Win7 from XP across network

Welcome to Seven Forums,

Make sure that you have identical user names and passwords on both Windows 7 and XP computers if you wish to access each computer. If you have created and/or own the computers you would have been an Admin and able to create the User Accounts. Here's a tutorial on how to access and create a user account in Windows 7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/253274-how-do-i-identify-my-user-name-log-onto-win7-xp-across-network.html
Relevancy 43.86%

My computer has been acting weirdly and crashing randomly for a couple of months now but starting yesterday it just started crashing and presenting BSOD's left and right For a moment I thought it on User BSOD upon SP1 Win7 Login was due to Chrome which has always tended to hang or crash either itself or Windows in its entirety But today after logging in the welcome screen and the subsequent BSOD upon User Login on Win7 SP1 black BSOD upon User Login on Win7 SP1 screen with a cursor took - time as long as it normally does and now I can't log in without a BSOD and automatic restart I did try to update Java to Version I'm not sure how smoothly the installation went -- Chrome crashed sometime during or after the installation -- but I uninstalled Java from Add Remove Programs No new hardware no new software besides Java and PRTG Traffic Grapher both uninstalled no new Windows Updates installed The computer is a notebook HP Pavilion dm - us all hardware OEM Basic System Info Windows SP x Originally installed OS OEM System about years old Have never re-installed the OS CPU Intel Core i M GHZ GPU Intel HD Graphics Requested files are attached I was unable to generate a perfmon report file quot The system cannot find the file specified quot Note though that I ran the programs and am writing this from Safe Mode with Networking Any help would be very much appreciated

A:BSOD upon User Login on Win7 SP1

Your Intel Matrix Storage Driver is the root cause, uninstall it or update its driver.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/bsod-upon-user-login-on-win7-sp1-639684.html
Relevancy 43.86%

My taskbar comes and goes. It refuses to stay pinned to the bottom of my screen.
Please clue me in to making it feel more welcome so it hangs around..
Thank you

A:New Win7 user taskbar problem

Are you saying it hides at the bottom until you move your mouse to the bottom? If so, Right click on the task bar then select properties, then uncheck Autohide the Taskbar.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-win7-user-taskbar-problem.1064672/
Relevancy 43.86%

Is it possible to create a custom user group within Windows 7 Pro? Unfortunately the systems are not on a domain, and any solutions I've found thus far have been for domain environments.

The user account would be able to remove account lockouts and reset account passwords of users, but not administrators. Basically, I need a standard user account with this capability. Is this possible on standalone Win7 systems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A:Custom user groups Win7 Pro...is it possible?

Hello V,

Yes, you are able to create a new group in Local Users and Groups (lusrmgr.msc). In Local Users, click on the Groups folder in the left pane, right click on a empty spot in the middle pane, and click on New Group. After creating the new group, you can add users to be a member of the new group.

New tutorial for how:

User Group - Create New or Delete

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/201566-custom-user-groups-win7-pro-possible.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi guys I got a question hoping someone can help me out with some info We switched to Win recently and have serious trouble with user rights management I am not admin but standard user on my workstation - that's why I cannot access any folders on C User once again... WIN7 - configuration rights cannot even delete shortcuts on my desktop created by WIN7 User rights configuration - once again... the admin For several reasons I need access on C - not necessarily on the Windows folder maybe fonts because I do not want to install software - but at least on all Programs folders and subfolders on C My IT guys tell me this is not possible under Win anymore - i have to choose specific folders This is not acceptable for me because WIN7 User rights configuration - once again... I cannot predict that and want to avoid unnecessary workload Can anybody proof that there is definitely no possibility to manage user rights for standard users under Win to gain full access on all sub- folders on C except the windows folder Thank you so much for help cheers ral BTW Using Win Enterprise Edition

A:WIN7 User rights configuration - once again...

Why use a standard user account instead of an administrator account?

User Account Control

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/win7-user-rights-configuration-once-again-603686.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi all Just joined the forum after getting a new computer with Win Home Premium on it I think I may have botched setting up the User Accounts I've searched the Internet for answers found this forum and read through numerous User Account posts plus read many of the forum's tutorials But I didn't find an answer to User Account Win7 Confusion my Win7 User Account Confusion specific quot problem quot So here goes My computer came with User Accounts shown under the C Users folder Three of them had the quot locked quot padlock icon shown All Users Default User and James Two were quot unlocked quot Default and Public The James folder locked was created by the manufacturer of the computer and contained the quot normal quot items and folders you would expect to see under it quot James quot was also the default User Profile that Win7 User Account Confusion loaded when the computer booted I created a New User profile for myself I'll call it quot John Doe quot here instead of using my real name and gave it Administrator rights When I rebooted the computer I had the option then of quot changing users quot to either quot James quot or quot John Doe quot BUT my quot John Doe quot User folder never showed up under the Users tree That confused me and I went on a mission in Win to try and quot fix quot that But I think I may have really messed things up before I got quot done quot To make a long story short er I played around with the quot Share quot and quot Take Ownership quot options in Win and a few other things I probably shouldn't have without understanding them better first and now this is what I have The same quot user quot folders under the default quot Users quot tree but quot James quot is now quot unlocked quot there is no padlock icon on it anymore Additionally when I highlight the folder on the bottom of Windows Explorer it says quot items State Shared quot with a little icon showing two quot people quot I figure that icon is a quot shared quot graphic BUT there is still no quot John Doe quot user shown in the tree In Windows Explorer when I expand the quot Desktop quot tree there IS a my quot John Doe quot folder When I expand that it appears to be the exact same structure and contents of the quot James quot folder under Users It also shows the quot items Status Shared quot the same as the quot James quot folder from above But I'm not positive if EVERYTHING in both folders is the exact same thing When I select quot Start Shutdown Switch Users quot the ONLY user that shows is my quot John Doe quot with Administrator rights There is no quot James quot user or any other user to select I'm pretty sure I hosed something up messing around with the Share and Take Ownership options I may have actually quot Took Ownership quot of the quot James quot user with my quot John Doe quot user at one point It was a bad night and I was tired Before I screw anything else up in Win myself I think I've reached the point where I better get some advice What I'd like to do is this if possible Get rid of the quot James quot user but ONLY if it won't cause me to hose up the computer worse I'd like to make sure that I don't lose anything that might be important in either the quot James quot or my quot John Doe quot folders But I'm not sure if I can even do that safely now When I select quot Manage User Accounts quot quot James quot isn't even shown as a User Account anymore Short of right-clicking on the quot James quot User folder in Windows Explorer and selecting DELETE which I'm not sure is a good idea I can't even find a way to remove the quot James quot user account anymore Get any quot Sharing quot and quot Ownership quot rights back where they belong End up with quot John Doe quot me as the quot primary quot User Account with Administrator rights I dominoed everything so bad while trying to sort this out myself I'm not even sure right now where to START to reverse everything I may have screwed up If anybody can offer a walk-through for me to straigh... Read more

A:Win7 User Account Confusion

It wasn't exactly the same, because I didn't have a James account to deal with, but I fouled up my own user account with Takeownership when I first installed W7, and I couldn't straighten it out, so I deleted the account and created a new one. That solved my problem, but it sounds as though your's goes deeper. It may be necessary to do a reinstall, or at least a System Restore to prior to the changes that you made...if possible.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/59365-win7-user-account-confusion.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I had to format hdd and install new Win7 os, so i copy old files, Documents folder, to other hdd and when i installed new win7 i just copy old documents back but on other partition.
1HDD - C:\win7
D:\documents
and now when i try to open any file , jpg, doc, txt, pdf..... it wants from me :

right click on file, Properties, Security, Continue and change Current owner: Unable to display current owner to New user name and check box under, replace owner on subcontainers and objects. after i can open image or text but its work only for one file per action. I have about 60gb of data, can i remove owner from all at once ?

and when i 2x click on any via or admin to make them owner and close it, after i have this

so need to remove old user and add one. only after i can open jpg

A:Cant open files from old win7 user.

The old files have the owner set to the old user which has a different ID than your new user account (In the future you can avoid this if possible by transferring the old user account to the new machine. This can be done for the same machine between an update too).

But for now, follow this tutorial to make a "Take Ownership" context menu that you can use to quickly re-take ownership of those file from your old account. This should work for entire directories I believe (Though been a while since I used it)

Take Ownership Shortcut

Oh I should say "be careful" you do NOT want to use this on your windows folder or the entire C drive. Use it /only/ on your own files on other disks or that you have moved to your new users folder

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/203463-cant-open-files-old-win7-user.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hello all,
My system has started BSOD'ing when switching users. Normally I log on as an admin, but I want to create accounts for my kids with much lower rights, obviously. The system has been stable for a few years, but now that I've created the kids accounts, I see BSOD frequently when switching to one of their accounts.

I think I got all the info requested from the SF Diag tool attached.

Thanks for any assistance!

Martin

A:BSOD, only when switching user Win7 x64

Welcome
Apparantly and driver problem. Driver verifier may be able to tell us which one
Driver Verifier
I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Windows 7 Startup Repair feature).

In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/244070-bsod-only-when-switching-user-win7-x64.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I'm confused about these issues In my Users folder I currently have the following below shown folders all of these will open in a file manager except the Default User folder which I surmise is a Junction thing Administrator lt - now showing since I activated the built in Admin All Users UserMe Default lt - can open upon clicking DeFault User lt - does not allow opening even by admin acct Guest lt - no password acct Public Std User lt - non-Admin but still pswd access Of all these folders the only ones I created are the the are What for? Default win7 folders user original user acct of UserMe and an acct I just created What are the win7 Default user folders for? yesterday named Std User They both have passwords I also have the original guest acct no password cannot remember if I created it but I just enabled it I surmise windows puts these below folders in the Parent Users folder upon install of Win OS All Users Default Defautl User Public Since they've been there from the beginning Not sure what they are for Can the Default ones be renamed if I even wanted to Or deleted But here's another aspect that's concerning me I have apps that were installed I presume under quot install for all users quot that are showing up in the guest acct IF I UNINSTALL AN APP from within the guest acct that was installed under the above said quot install for all users quot I'm guessing it also uninstalls it from other all user accts Notwithstanding if it needs admin password etc to do this or not Also another concern is when I create a new user acct I'm going to have to install any apps already in my other acct that I want to use into this acct only on quot install to this user only quot correct As you can see I'm kinda confused I've always just had my one user acct of UserMe but since it's an admin acct I've recently read I need to create a non admin acct which I've done and also enabled the guest and admin to operate from for safety reasons

A:What are the win7 Default user folders for?

OK Users folders, are just for personal files (pictures, music, documents, shortcuts etc) they do not include programs, just short cuts to programs on your Desktop. You are correct that the default user layout is:
All Users
Defautl User
Public
When you install an app, like an Anti-Virus or another app that is for all users, it will put icons in the Desktop folder of the All Users folder, this will add this icon to any user account you create because it is in the All Users folder. If a program is not for all users, just the user you are logged in as, then it will put an icon on your desktop, and your user\desktop folder but not in any other users desktops folders, unless it is in the All Users\desktop folder. Same with pictures and documents.
This does not affect the program, if it is installed for one user, you can still access the program from C:\Program Files (x86) or C:\Program Files. And create your own shortcut by right clicking it choose Send To..Desktop(make shortcut)
The Public user folder is for sharing files with other users on your network. You can add files to this account to share.
The Default and Default User profiles are for if your profile that you login to becomes corrupted, Windows will load the Default User Profile, so that you can login, then you can troubleshoot your user account. Your user files will still be accessible from C:\User\[YourUserName]
The Guest account is loaded but not activated. It is so you can assign a profile for someone to login to your computer that has limited access. (eg) The Guest user cannot install anything or make and changes to files on the computer.
The same goes if you have created a Standard User. This user has limited functionality. If you are logged in as a Standard User, you would need to provide an Administrator password to edit files, or to install any programs.
C:\users\default user is a junction point referencing the name of the default profile folder in Windows XP. It is there only for backward compatibility purposes with XP computers on your network.
I hope that clears it up

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/what-are-the-win7-default-user-folders-for-1119873.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hiya I am a little bit stuck Have tried a lot but to no avail [x86] user win7 cfg trouble account I have 'eventually' registered already was frequent visitor to read this forum to get some needed help to get it working as using the tutorials rarely fails here still not working like it should This pc is to help a friend with kids to use separate accounts System is an old bit pc old i cpu msi board and hd radeon Everything works fine as long as I use win7 [x86] user account cfg trouble the main admin account but I have trouble with creating and configuring a user account The main account has two firefox profiles In the user account runs in admin mode to cfg I tried to create a new firefox profile to use but it fails as I cannot write profile to any folder Also have sandboxie installed which is also perfectly working in the main account forcing firefox browser sandboxed If I start the 'run browser sandboxed' icon on desktop in the user account it starts internet explorer which isnt the default browser probably because firefox doesnt have a profile to start ------------------------------------------------------------------------ info in sandboxie icon to start C Program Files Sandboxie Start exe default browser Run the default web browser under the supervision of Sandboxie ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Any help is appreciated - cheers Sabine

A:win7 [x86] user account cfg trouble

Sigh,finally found a solution to my (profile) problem with firefox. Disabling the 'force firefox to run in this sandbox' in sandboxie settings made things work again. Afterwards enable.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/540188/win7-x86-user-account-cfg-trouble/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hey. Someone who now how to change the user folders name. I had try man things but nothing works. HELP

A:How can i change the User folder name?

You can't, not without creating a new user. Your username will change everywhere else in Windows but the folder C:\Users\your user name will retain the username used when the user account was created. That's normal.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/241192-how-can-i-change-user-folder-name.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi all.

I have just bought my wife a new laptop and she wants to give her old, serviceable laptop to our son.

Rather than show her name on logon or add another user, l want to change the registered owner in system settings, add my son as an administrator user and delete my wife as a user.

However after adding my son as a user l cannot delete my wife's user profile, does not delete it.
Any ideas please? Windows XP Home service pack 2

Many thanks

A:Change registered user

Hi .Take a look, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783See the line about not being able to delete a user who is logged on, that may apply.Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/175282/change-registered-user/
Relevancy 43.86%

I just setup my new computer. There is only 1 account, which was setup originally as administrator. It was changed to user and now I would like to change it back to administrator. How do I do this? FYI...when I click on add or remove user accounts, it asks for an administrator password, since I'm no longer an administrator, the password space is blocked.

A:Change user to administrator

Only the administrator can give admin rights. I have no idea if this would work, but you could open the cmd prompt as administrator and enter

net user administrator /active:yes

This may make the administrator account show up. Your mileage may vary...

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/247779-change-user-administrator.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi I m having trouble with the following scenario I connected a workstations running Windows XP Home to a Server Windows Server I setup a user name on the server we ll say quot jondoe quot At the workstation I changed the existing user account name in control panel to match the server jondoe original user name was quot Owner quot typical for XP Home I also set matching passwords for jondoe on the server and workstation I then rebooted and logged in as jondoe -- Name Help! Issue Change Please XP User on the workstation Normally I d be able to access the server without additional popup windows or quot access denied quot errors if the workstation login password matches the server s login password for a given user HOWEVER this is not the case I either get additional login windows or quot access denied quot From what I can see the login name and or credentials being passed to the server is still quot Owner quot and NOT quot jondoe quot If I setup on the server an quot XP User Name Change Issue -- Please Help! Owner quot account I connect fine But I can t use quot Owner quot XP User Name Change Issue -- Please Help! I have other workstations to connect with quot Owner quot accounts Please help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-user-name-change-issue-please-help.706602/
Relevancy 43.86%

Windows 10 has used my MS account to create my username on windows 10. But it has shorten it.
Let me give you an example to make my question clear:

Imagine my MS account is "[email protected]". When I go to C:\Users I want to have "myname"
But windows 10 has shorten the name and now in C:\Users I have "myna" instead of "myname".

Is it possible to change this name to myname?

A:is it possible to change user's name in windows 10 ?

Hey ... I'm glad you mention this because I was trying to figure out how I did the samething. My self I was probably messing around with 2 or 3 installations of windows 10 and got side track. Now that you mention this I know exactly what you mean and how it got done now, thanks lol . Now to your question . The simple answer is no you can't change it but what you can do is create another account the way you want and afterwards just delete that account with the mistake , make sure you give admin rights . Though in my case I didn't do this but rather it was one of my first installation of windows 10 so I wanted to try doing a few installations, so I ended up doing a re installation lol call me crazy. I like to get the hang of things . Brink the Admin of this board can confirm yes you can and delete the old one afterwards or someone that knows for sure

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/13523-possible-change-users-name-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi,

my system is a fully patched win xp sp2 with 2 User accounts (admin and limited). I am running Spybot s&d with tea timer on. Everything has been running smoothly. Yesterday I took some adminstrative action (index.dat suite, deletion of cookies etc) after that tea timer gives a warning "Win Logon, Default User name has been changed from Admin to Limited and back" every time I switch between my accounts. Is this regular xp behavior or did some setting got messed up? I am not using "autoadminlogon" and haven't messed with the winlogon registry entry in any way. At least I think.

Any ideas appreciated. It is quite annoying to have these pop ups every time I change accounts.

Relevancy 43.86%

Hi I'm having trouble with the following scenario I connected a workstations running Windows Please Name Help! Issue User Change XP -- XP Home to a XP User Name Change Issue -- Please Help! Server Windows Server I setup a user name on the server we'll say quot jondoe quot XP User Name Change Issue -- Please Help! At the workstation I changed the existing user XP User Name Change Issue -- Please Help! account name in control panel to match the server jondoe original user name was quot Owner quot typical for XP Home I also set matching passwords for jondoe on the server and workstation I then rebooted and logged in as jondoe on the workstation Normally I'd be able to access the server without additional popup windows or quot access denied quot errors if the workstation login password matches the server's login password for a given user HOWEVER this is not the case I either get additional login windows or quot access denied quot From what I can see the login name and or credentials being passed to the server is still quot Owner quot and NOT quot jondoe quot If I setup on the server an quot Owner quot account I connect fine But I can't use quot Owner quot I have other workstations to connect with quot Owner quot accounts Please help

A:XP User Name Change Issue -- Please Help!

dallas2828,

First, the problem with simply changing the local username on an XP PC is that this doesn't change the references to named folders in C:\Documents and Settings so you'll still be saving files to folders named with the previous username.

The right way to set up your environment would be to ADD your XP PC to your Server 2003 domain (i.e. create a computer account). Likewise, you should add a domain USER account on your server. In this scenario, you should be able to login to the DOMAIN rather than to a user account configured on your local PC.

Simply synching the usernames and passwords on both the server and workstation(s) only works if you're setting up a "Workgroup" environment - which is similar to setting up home networking between multiple XP or Vista clients on the same home network.

- John

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-user-name-change-issue-please-help-243171.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I have changed the name of my only windwos 8.1 account, but the user folder has not changed and I can't figure out how to do it.

I tired to follow the instructions in this thread:

http://superuser.com/questions/495290/how-to-rename-user-folder-in-windows-8

but threre is no 'local users and group' icon in the computer management app.

so I tried to solve this by following the instructions in this thread:

http://www.kapilarya.com/fix-unable-to-get-local-users-groups-snap-in-in-windows-8-1

but I had the same problem as the guys in the comment section, I just got the message: “This snap-in may not be used with this edition of Windows 8.1. To manage user accounts for this computer, use the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel.”

As far as i can see there is no way to change the folder name in control pannel or on the properties tab of the file itself.

Any suggestions?

A:How to change name of user folder

Easiest way is to create a new account with the desired folder name.
Then copy the contents of the old user account to the new user account.
Set a System Restore point and backup your stuff first! (in case it decides that it objects to some of the changes)

If you want to be cautious, then just copy the data over (Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Music, Pictures, and Video - maybe the Desktop contents also)
Don't delete the old folder just yet - in case you need things from it.
Good luck!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579745/how-to-change-name-of-user-folder/
Relevancy 43.86%

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+, x86 Family 15 Model 12 Stepping 0
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 1023 Mb
Graphics Card: RADEON 9600 Family (Microsoft Corporation), 1 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 59835 MB, Free - 43697 MB; X: Total - 179531 MB, Free - 146401 MB;
Motherboard: MSI, MS-6702
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I have two users both with administrator privileges and can access each others files. I would like to change it so they can only access only their own. Can I do it?

A:Want to change user acess

Not if they are administrators. You shouldn't run as an administrator for an ordinary account, anyway, since malware then has free reign on your machine.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/want-to-change-user-acess.1052506/
Relevancy 43.86%

When shutting my desktop, Windows-7 automatically downloaded its latest update, asking me not to power off my PC.
The next day I started my PC and a window appeared asking me to either create-a-new-profile or select an existing profile.
Not knowing which profile I've been happily using, I chose "Default" profile.
Windows started but...
I lost all my bookmarks
Some of my cookies were erased so I had to enter my user-id and password at sites I visit daily.
On the right-portion where I enter URL's of sites I visit; there used-to-be a "search" field, it's gone.
How can I go back to where I can select the user-profile; before Windows did its latest update ??
It's definitely not the one I erroneously chose (default)

Thank You
Class59

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/393300-how-i-change-my-user-profile.html
Relevancy 43.86%

My ex set up my notebook for me which runs windows 7. He set himself as the administrator and me as a standard user. As he's no longer about how do I switch me to admin instead of him? And no he won't give me his password to do it (I've asked)

A:How do I change admin user?

Hello Princess, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Given your situation, I would recommend to reinstall Windows 7 by doing a factory recovery/restore since it's a notebook. This will give you a fresh start again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/248871-how-do-i-change-admin-user.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I bought this computer on ebay a few weeks ago and everything has been great. I was hoping the seller wiped the computer clean, but there was still some user names and name of computer filled from the prior user, so I went into control panel and changed the admin user name and all other things pertaining to the owner of this computer now belonging to a new user name; (to my knowledge) however, when I go to view this file (shown below) through winrar and then through a browser it still shows the prior user's name. Why is this and how can I fix the problem?? I'm sure it's a simple fix. Thanks!

A:How to truly change user's name in WIN 7 Ultimate?!

Hello Kaiyou, and welcome to Seven Forums.

The best way would be to create a new user account for yourself, then delete the old one.

Of course, since this is a used computer off ebay, it may be best to do a factory restore or reinstall Windows to start fresh. You never know what may be on it from the previous owner.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/343505-how-truly-change-users-name-win-7-ultimate.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I just reinstalled Windows XP Professional (after a failed attempt at a newer operating system) and when I open the user accounts menu and choose change name, the window opens along with a small box saying Unspecified error. After closing it, I try to click in the area to start typing a new name, but nothing happens.

Everything else works, I can create a password, change the picture and what not. It's just the name. I am the only account (thus a computer administrator). Please help.

A:Cannot Change name in User accounts

Click Start / Run and type in the following control userpasswords2 and click OK . Then click the Advanced tab and then the Advanced button. Then remove desired accounts, rename the administrator account and click Apply & OK.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-change-name-in-user-accounts.887013/
Relevancy 43.86%

We have a user who really has very little knowledge about PC's and has been given an awesome laptop. This user will need to change the IP address from time to time and I have created a batch file using netsh to allow him to change the IP based off of what branch he will be at. The thing is, he does not have sufficient rights to make the change. I am not sure how to grant him access to be able to change the IP address. I don't want to give him admin rights, because the next thing you know, there will be a lot of crappy software on this business laptop. Any thoughts welcomed.

Thanks,

Relevancy 43.86%

i want to change the name in the red circle...my account name from control panel says its Jeff. and the licensed owner is jeff....i want that changed to jeff please....can i get some help?

A:How Do I Change The User Profile Name?

Hello,

In the User accounts section on control panel there should be an option to change the name. However this does not change the name in the command prompt or the documents and settings. I had this problem a while back and the solution I chose was to create another account with the correct name and transfer my files accross to the new account then deleting my old one. Its a lot of hassle, but it fixed the problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/139836/how-do-i-change-the-user-profile-name/
Relevancy 43.86%

On my Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit) machine I can't change my user account picture. I can't even change to one of the built-in pictures. My 64-bit machine doesn't have this problem.
When I attmpt to change the picture I'm told it isn't the right format. Again this applies to the built-in pictures as well as my jpeg photo. So I know the pictures are OK and can only guess the problem lies else where.
Both machines are members of a SBS 2011 domain.

Does anyone have any ideas?

A:Win 7 won't allow me to change user picture

First try sfc/scannow to see if Windows can repair any damaged or corrupted system files.
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

If that doesn't work, try a repair install. If you do it correctly, you shouldn't lose any data.
Repair Install

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/169455-win-7-wont-allow-me-change-user-picture.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I purchased a solid state drive, had Windows 7 Professional installed on it, and had the drive installed in a laptop computer; love the performance of my refurbished laptop , except on the System drive in the Users account the name Owner appears. Where did this come from?

When I go to User Accounts in the Control Panel and click on Manage Accounts, Owner does not appear. Why?

KCav

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/385157-how-change-user-name-owner.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I've seen this several times now: an employee gets a computer, and has his or her name installed as the user, for example, Sarah. She logs in as Sarah, and her files are in \Documents and Settings\Sarah\ and so on. Sarah leaves and Joyce is hired. The name on the login is changed from Sarah to Joyce, which is all well and good, but the account name in the directory is still Sarah.

I'm sure there's a good way to do this, but I haven't come across it yet... probably I'm looking in the wrong places, but...

Anyone?

A:How To Change User Name Completely

You can't change it.The Documents & Settings folder, and the folders under it, are fixed at install time and can't be moved or renamed. It is possible to work around this with a little clever hacking (Microsoft has an article on how to do this), but in many cases it's not the wisest idea. If you install a program that expects these folders to be in their default locations and they're not, the program may not work correctly. (This is actually the fault of the program for assuming where things are instead of reading the proper pathnames from the registry, but you can never really tell when you're going to run into a badly-written program!) (Taken from HERE)The solution is to create a user account for Jane, then move everything from Sarah's files to Janes.Then delete Sarah's account.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/169883/how-to-change-user-name-completely/
Relevancy 43.86%

I installed Win7 HP and some how named the PC and my network or user name the same.

The PC name is Wilife and the user or log in name is Wilife. I want to change the user name to John like all the other stations on my network.

A:How Do I Change My Logon/ User Name

Welcome
Try control panel
User accounts
Change name

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/126636-how-do-i-change-my-logon-user-name.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I entered the wrong email address and the system will not let me go any further and it will not let me update my email. Is there a way to reset the entire Cortana set up?

A:I need to change the user name on the set up section.

You should be able to sign in with a different MS account (Notebook\About Me) in addition to clearing what Cortana knows about you (Settings\Change what Cortana knows about me in the cloud). Have you tried either?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/445643-i-need-change-user-name-set-up-section.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I purchased a solid state drive, had Windows 7 Professional installed on it, and had the drive installed in a laptop computer; love the performance of my refurbished laptop , except on the System drive in the Users account the name Owner appears. Where did this come from?

When I go to User Accounts in the Control Panel and click on Manage Accounts, Owner does not appear. Why?

KCav

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/385157-how-change-user-name-owner.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Purchased new computer, gave other computer to sister which had original Win98/Win98SE on it, she upgraded to WinXP, registered under her name; however, computer retained MY name, and everything we've tried to eliminate ownership of computer from my name to hers has not worked. Does anyone know how to do this? Tried: logoff, user, system properties changing, etc. If it is a registry change, please indicate step-by-step because the registry makes me nervous! Thanks for whatever help you can offer.

Relevancy 43.86%

want to upgrade to windows 8.1 but i opened command prompt and saw i was logged in as user.
how do i change to admin to scan the system in order to continue my upgrade

A:how to change user to administrator

Open the command prompt with Administrator privileges and then type in net user administrator /active: yes before hitting the Enter key. Once it's told you this works, close the command prompt, log off, and now you should see the built-in Administrator account appear as a logon option. Click on that and, if it has no password, ensure you apply one once the profile is created.

Do what you need to do with that, log off, log into the original profile, open the command prompt with Administrator privileges and then type in net user administrator /active: no before hitting the Enter key. This will deactivate the built-in Administrator account.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-change-user-to-administrator.1159584/
Relevancy 43.86%

I have a recent problem where when the computer comes back from automatic standby or change of user it sticks on a blank blue screen for about 5 minutes, then it goes to the user accounts and sticks there for about 5 minutes before I can log on or turn off the computer.

Any thoughts?

A:very slow change user

Try using Fast User Switching: Windows XP: Turn On Fast User Switching

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/very-slow-change-user-562736.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I have just set up a new user on my Windows 8.1 desktop computer for my daughter.

At no point in the procedure did it ask for what name the user should have. She just logged in with her Hotmail account.

Now, when I go to c:\users, her username is shown as karen_000.

Firstly, how is this username determined?

Secondly, is it possible to change the user to Karen.

T

A:[SOLVED] How to change name for new user

There should have been some where in the user account setup to input a name for the new user.

Yes...go to accounts and find the user you want and select edit.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/solved-how-to-change-name-for-new-user-947546.html
Relevancy 43.86%

h

how to change from default profil to hp-HP\hp (my profil)?
please help me, cause frequent error

sorry for bad english

A:how to change user profile ?

dimashandoyo you want to change your Windows account Username?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/306153-how-change-user-profile.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hello first of all I have to say that all worked fine allowed user not XP sp3: change since this morning I haven t changed anything maybe it depends on one of the latest automatic update Before XP sp3: change user not allowed today when I clicked on change user start gt disconnect gt change user and chose another user xp would let me in the other account Now the account is loaded for a second and then I am sent to the initial screen XP sp3: change user not allowed again the one where all account are shown it s like XP won t allow more than one user desktop to be active at a time Another thing that I noticed is that there is no more indication of how many programs are running under a certain account before it would say quot x programs are running quot and quot y mail messages are waiting quot or such things Basically XP won t let me in other accounts unless I completely disconnect the first user How can I solve this Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 43.86%

Hi,
I think I have always have had this problem but I don't see why it should be that way - can anyone assist?
Using XP, whenever I change user accounts say from mine to my wife's, the line disconnects and I have to dial up again. It seems to be the case whether I log off completely or just change user.
Thanks

A:Disconnection on user change

Welcome to TSG....

If you are using dial-up that is the way it is the dial-up modem is disconnected during any user change or reboot or shut-down of the computer. If you want a constant connection you have to get broadband like cable or DSL.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disconnection-on-user-change.559128/
Relevancy 43.86%

I have recently done a clean install of 7(x64) and while installing I dropped my keybord at the stage where you enter your username, it skipped forward and I was unable to go back, therefore setting the username to 'h'(a key that must have been hit during the fall). Once installed I have renamed the computer from h-PC and also changed the username in accounts however the root user folder in c:\Users\ is still called 'h'. Is there a way to change this without creating a new account, as I have transferred ~300gb of data already before I realised it didnt change it in this place. It is particularly annoying when I try to connect from another computer as I have to login with 'h' as the username.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jamie

Relevancy 43.86%

I don't know if this is suppose to go in this forum, but I was wondering on how to change the name of my computer's user. I changed it in the profile part, but I still see the name "Ben", the previous owner, on most of the files and things.

see? I want to change that part. Does anyone know how? Thanks

A:Solved: Change the name of my user?

You need to make a User account with the name you want, copy all of your files form the old account to the new one. BUT, you will NOT be able to use the same name that you changed the old one to, with out renaming it to something else.

After a few days and you are sure that you have ALL of YOUR files and data, you can then delete the old user account and files.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-change-the-name-of-my-user.805919/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hello. I have windows 8 with the upgrade. I bought this computer from someone who reinstalled the operating system so he could sell it. The root user name is John Doe. I adjusted settings and tried to rename with my name however the ROOT user is still John Doe. I've heard I can create a new account and "move" all my files to my new account, thus essentially renaming the computer. I've heard all that changes is the "pointer". I'm fairly tech savvy so this is a bit embarassing, but this is something I have no experience with. Could someone please tell me exactly which files I need to move so I can delete the "John Doe" user? I'm a bit nervous about messing things up. Please give a brief walk-through if you would.

Thanks!

A:Root User Change

Hello:

Any advice please?

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/root-user-change.1129697/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hello and thank you for your help.

I need to change a user profile name on a laptop using Windows XP -

I have searched but can't find how to do this.

How do I proceed please?

Thank you

Relevancy 43.86%

Hi,
I have problem in User Accounts, I am Computer Administrator (and account name is Administrator) and have been using password protect but when starting up windows, it won't stop at log on page to enter password, it log on to my accout automatic. And in user account page there are just 3 choices to choose which are Change my password, Change my picture and Setup my account to use a .Net passport. I just format drive C and Install new window xp. So how could I have 5 or 6 choices in User Account and enter my password when starting up windows.

Thanks,
Jarky

A:Can't change my name in user account

Try this; press Windows key + R and type control userpasswords2 Highlight the account in question and check the box &#8220;Users must enter a user name and password&#8221; Click apply and ok and restart the computer.

Here&#8217;s an article on Administrator and User Passwords in Windows XP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-change-my-name-in-user-account.451237/