Windows Support Forum

How can I put my Standard user account back to Administrator when the ASP.NET Machine account is admin?

Q: How can I put my Standard user account back to Administrator when the ASP.NET Machine account is admin?

Hey, I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium on my HP Pavilion Slimline Desktop and I need help getting my Standard user account back to Administrator. I can't run certain programs and I also can't install and uninstall anything. I don't have the Windows 7 Installation Disk to do restore. I have already tried Safe Mode and I can't enable and built in admin either. Please help me! Thank you!

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: How can I put my Standard user account back to Administrator when the ASP.NET Machine account is admin?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: How can I put my Standard user account back to Administrator when the ASP.NET Machine account is admin?

How are you trying to change the type of account?I don't have the Windows 7 Installation Disk to do restoreDo you mean System Restore? If you are, you don't need the installation disk to do this.To use System Restore click on the start orb. In the search box type in System Restore. In the list of results click on System Restore, if you are prompted for an administrator password type it in.Follow the prompts to choose a restore point and restore your computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/479959/how-can-i-put-my-standard-user-account-back-to-administrator-when-the-aspnet-machine-account-is-admin/
Relevancy 100.44%

I am using Windows 7 Pro 64x and apparently the default user account (Owner) that I use is not working correctly. Unless I have UAC set to Never Notify, I cannot open Control Panel or UAC again. I have created a second user account as Administrator and it works correctly.

I would like to know if there is any way to fix this problem short of a clean install of Windows. If not, is it possible to move all of my settings to the user account that works correctly and delete the one that does not.

Thanks

A:Solved: Default User Account (Administrator) acts like Standard Account

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-default-user-account-administrator-acts-like-standard-account.1024887/
Relevancy 100.13%

I ve just installed a new copy of Windows Ultimate By default the first user account as declared in windows setup is set at administrator level I want to run this main account as a standard user but when I went to change this in account settings the option to change the account to standard was greyed out I decided to enable the administrator account to change this hidden user, account Run account with standard as main admin computer management local Run main account as standard user, with admin account hidden users and groups un-ticked account is disabled I logged on as administrator then changed the main account to standard As the Administrator account is now enabled it shows on the welcome screen I don t want this I went back and disabled it running computer management as admin in the now standard account and re-ticked account is disabled technically this should be how it was before I touched it except the main account is now at standard user level rather than administrator level The problem i have now is when trying to run anything on the standard account that needs admin rights i get the UAC box asking to enter admin password which is blank but there is no administrator icon or password field and the yes button is greyed out How can I have my main account as standard user the administrator account not showing on welcome screen but allowing it admin to authorise actions on the standard account that required admin rights via UAC i e when UAC comes up I can click yes to run as administrator At the moment the correct process happens but yes is greyed out when the admin account is disabled When the admin account is enabled this works yes button not greyed out but the administrator account shows on the welcome screen which i don t want

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/482436/run-main-account-as-standard-user-with-admin-account-hidden/
Relevancy 100.13%

Hi does anyone know what happens if I mistakenly deleted a user account When I open my computer then right click on the quot This pc quot there is a option called quot Manage quot Then under manage there are user accounts I mistakenly deleted the quot Administrators quot group from my current account Only left is standard user group The admin account is password protected and I have the password Is it possible to log into the admin account and changed Accidentaly user account account to admin standard change promote back my current account I did try to right click quot manage quot but I get this window attached file with no place to put the password That is slightly annoying I was trying to reassign myself back in the admin group I was thinking of making an account which can modify all items such adding hardware and items under quot Device manager quot etc but just limit to not being able to just make a new admin full access account Seems that deleting the admin solves the Accidentaly changed admin account to standard user account not being able to make a new account but in the process I'm locked out from the admin settings Is it possible to create a super-user account just limiting not being able to make new user accounts and have access to all such as device manager It would be nice to not have to log into admin account just to check newly installed hardware Currently on standard user I am unable to go to quot device manager quot and other admin based stuff with that admin shield logo Thanks

A:Accidentaly changed admin account to standard user account

From desktop, hold CTRL+ALT then press DEL keyClick on Switch UserType: Administrator and enter the passwordOnce you are in, Win+X->Command Prompt(Admin)Type: net localgroup administrators username /add <======== replace username with your namesign out and sign back in with your name.

NOTE: In step 3, I Assume that you have the built in Admin turned on and you said you have the password.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/47233-accidentaly-changed-admin-account-standard-user-account.html
Relevancy 99.82%

I am using Windows 7 Pro 64x and apparently the default user account (Owner) that I use is not working correctly. Unless I have UAC set to Never Notify, I cannot open Control Panel or UAC again. When I try, I get the error message listed below. I have created a second user account as Administrator and it works correctly.

I would like to know if there is any way to fix this problem short of a clean install of Windows. If not, is it possible to move all of my settings to the user account that works correctly and delete the one that does not.

Thanks

A:Default User Account (Administrator) acts like Standard Account

Hello,

Right click Computer and click manage. On the left hand side there will be local users and groups. Go to the Administrators group and just confirm that the Owner account is in there?
Dave

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/194854-default-user-account-administrator-acts-like-standard-account.html
Relevancy 99.2%

I have always been running admin and even until now I run as admin. But, I have been doing a little bit of research and realize that using a standard account is a safer practice. I have never even used a standard account. Is using a standard account a better practice? Also, how does doing average task such as installing programs and updating work through the standard user account?

A:Using default admin account vs standard user account

Its safer to always run programs with lower privileges, and run as administrator when needed. Personally, I like my UAC set to the max. Basically, it stops programs from messing with your PC without permission.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/192765-using-default-admin-account-vs-standard-user-account.html
Relevancy 98.89%

Since this a security forum, I thought it would be nice to see how many of our members bother creating a Standard User Account or simply use the default Admin User Account.

Anyone is free to explain their own reasoning for choosing a type of account if he/she wants to.

Currently I use a Standard User Account. Decided to try one a few days ago, and so far I like it. I don't find it that much annoying or bothersome(so far)

https://malwaretips.com/threads/administrator-account-vs-standard-limited-user-account.61626/
Relevancy 90.83%

Hello,

I installed Windows 8.1 two days ago and have set up two accounts, one Administrator tied to Microsoft and one local Standard account. For some reason, the Standard account keeps on changing its account type by itself to have full administrative rights. Any idea on how to fix this?

Also, do you think I even need two accounts? I am the sole user of this PC. Do you think I could just use the Admin account? Thank you!

A:Standard account changing back to Admin on its own

Hey mate,

For your last question, I usually use a standard [Microsoft] account, where I do all my work. The admin account lies dormant, until I need to install anything on it. I just install from my standard account, using the Admin account info when needed.
[Edit] The reason I do this is to add another layer of protection, to prevent malware access to the Admin account [/Edit]

For the first problem, you might try creating the two accounts over again, and delete the old ones. Make sure you have all important and recommended updates installed from control panel, and an antivirus (Either the built-in Defender or another you trust).

Let me know if this doesn't work for you, and I'll offer more advice. Take care.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/57331-standard-account-changing-back-admin-its-own.html
Relevancy 88.97%

So I'm logged in as a standard user and at start up I have to type in 15 admin passwords just to get the things running on the computer. Especially Asus AI Suite II. But I was just wondering is there a way to get that program to stop asking for all the passwords? I do use it ALOT and the program has saved my behind a couple times when I overclocked to high one time. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

A:Standard User account and the barage of Admin passwords

Quote: Originally Posted by Hoib

We have liftoff!!!

I uninstalled everything. Logged in as the standard user. Hit the install package. It begged me for the admin - I responded. Install completed successfully. I went to the shortcut and took ownership of the referenced folder after providing again, the admin password. In the prop panel, the ownership was listed as "\\....Administrator" - and I reassigned ownership to the standard user, HA017. I closed out and rebooted.

Bingo! Standard user now has direct privs into the application - no admin password prompt.

BTW, before I got to this point of uninstall and reinstall, I did try the AppLocker secpol snap in as you suggested. When I called in the default "Path" item, It already populated HA017 as having "Allow" rights along with the Administrators Group and Administrators. With the standard user, this still failed. I went and added the "Everyone" object to "Allow" and tried the standard user. Did not work again.

So, happily, we're back in business and we didn't have to sacrifice security for functionality.

H

Would the above really work???

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/367402-standard-user-account-barage-admin-passwords.html
Relevancy 88.97%

In Windows Vista, when I try to execute a program from a standard user account that requires the admin password, it says the password is incorrect. It is the correct password because using the same password, I can log in to the Admin account.

Can someone help?

A:Standard user account will not accept Admin password

Welcome
Lets first make sure that the problem is not worse than it seems
Run an sfc check
System Files - SFC Command
Make a full anti virus scan
Download and run a full scan with malwarebytes.
If all are negative
Open another user account and see if the problem persisits, it may be corruption in one account.

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/291426-standard-user-account-will-not-accept-admin-password.html
Relevancy 88.66%

My Son And I Share A Laptop Running Windows 7 Home Edition , Am The Administrator And He Is The Standard User But He Keeps Going In And Changing My Account To Standard User And His To Administrator , Can Someone Tell Me How He Is Doing It And How Can I Put A Stop To It

A:How can a standard user gain access to an administrator account?

My first guess would be that he knows your password, or have managed to install a keylogger program to find out what password you type. Check in Control Panel - Programs and Features if you see any newly installed program you don't recognize. And change your password. And do a full scan with your antivirus.

Some keyloggers won't show up in the list of installed programs so take a look here as well:
How to detect if a Keylogger is installed? - Microsoft Community

Some laptops have a finger scanner and come with software you can configure to use your finger instead of typing a password. Mine has this and I've set a long and difficult password so even if someone saw me typing it they wouldn't remember it. But with this feature I type this in only ONCE in the finger scanning software, and then I only use my finger. Works very well.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/345079-how-can-standard-user-gain-access-administrator-account.html
Relevancy 88.04%

Our users are standard users on their PCs. There is one program that is asking for a username and password with administrator rights.
I know of the shortcut method using runas /savecred /user:administrator, but this is not a good idea.
I tried the scheduled task / shortcut  method "schtasks /run /tn "taskname", but this doesn't work.  The GUI is launched in the administrator session and is not even visible to the user.
How can I allow a standard user to run this program without him having to enter admin credentials or without making him a member of the local administrator group on the PC?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d731a96f-f479-49ee-bcda-43eadc55a25a/how-can-a-standard-user-account-run-a-program-without-supplying-admin-credentials?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 86.49%

Hi I basically had accounts on my computer one being quot Administrator quot w Admin rights one quot test quot Standard User rights and one more quot User quot that is the one I use most frequently with Admin rights When I Windows stuck locked, account account. on;y a admin 7 standard with is last used it last Friday the User account was still present and all my programs were working fine However when I came back to office today I found that the User account was missing from the welcome screen and only the quot Administrator quot and quot test quot account were Windows 7 admin account is locked, on;y stuck with a standard account. there Somehow I could not login to the quot Administrator quot account When I logged into the quot test quot account all the program shortcuts were blank Firefox Adobe Reader Etc and only IE and the default windows programs would work I suspected that there might be a virus but I couldn't install anything because I did not have the admin priviledges My question is How do I get back into my admin account is there any way to install anti-virus programs by going around the admin account to help solve this issue In a nutshell I'm basically stuck with a standard user account and I can't do anything with it Any help would really be greatly appreciated Thanks Just to add I tried using System Restore on the Standard account but when I click quot Open System Restore quot nothing happens

A:Windows 7 admin account is locked, on;y stuck with a standard account.

First off if you actually named your accounts Administrator and User then that may be part of your problem (Maybe not with the account named User but certainly with the one named Administrator).

Windows already has a built in account named Administrator, even though it is normally disabled by default. Creating a NAMED account using the name Administrator is not a good Idea.

Start by booting into Safe Mode and see if the system boots to the built in, but normally disable, Administrator account. If it does create New Admin rights NAMED account, using some other name then Administrator. From that boot normally and log into that new account and see if you can access your files from the other accounts. You may need to take ownership of those other accounts.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/254585-windows-7-admin-account-locked-y-stuck-standard-account.html
Relevancy 86.18%

So we have a fixed drive as its a dual drives in a HP when encrypting the second drive and testing unlocking with a standard user name it prompts for admin rights after entering the bitlocker password What can be done on group policy end to stop that from happening I don't want to have it auto lock beats the purpose of encryption security Best regards lt br gt lt br gt lt strong gt Joe C lt br gt lt strong gt Partner Online Technical Community lt br gt ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- lt br second on Unlocking account prompts user bitlocked rights standard a drive for Admin gt We hope you get value from our new forums platform Tell us what you think lt br gt lt a href quot http social microsoft com Forums en-US partnerfdbk threads quot gt lt span style quot color cc quot gt http social microsoft com Forums en-US partnerfdbk threads lt br gt lt span gt lt a gt ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ lt br gt This posting is provided amp Unlocking a second bitlocked drive prompts for Admin rights on standard user account quot AS IS amp quot with no warranties and confers no rights lt hr gt

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e15fcd6c-f5d6-4a01-9c05-0a7319948e08/unlocking-a-second-bitlocked-drive-prompts-for-admin-rights-on-standard-user-account?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 85.56%

Hi guys, 

Well I have recently created a new Admin and new Standard account as the last two were having issues. However when I opened up an APP on my Standard Account yesterday which was Login Studios and clicked the download link to search for new login screens, as well as opening up the login studio site it also opened up a Tab that I already had on my Admin account. And I could see the history from that one too. It was like I was back at my Admin account without even logging on or off or switching user accounts. I also tried this with another application and the same thing happened. 

Can anyone explain what this means please?

Thanks.

A:History From Admin Account Appeared in Standard Account

See if this helps.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/528253/history-from-admin-account-appeared-in-standard-account/
Relevancy 84.32%

I want to activate the default Administrator account. After I enter the command "net user Administrator /active:yes", an administrator account named "admin", not "Administrator", appears. Since what I want is Administrator, not admin, I try to change account name from admin to Administrator. I get an error message saying the account name Administrator already exists. Where is it? I wonder.

Anyway, how do I activate the default administrator account Administrator? Thanks.

A:net user Administrator /active:yes activates account admin, not Admini

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/344357-net-user-administrator-active-yes-activates-account-admin-not-admini.html
Relevancy 84.01%

Hello everyone. This is my first post on Ten Forums.

How can I create an admin account on a system that only has a standard user account? I suspect that the answer is that I can't, but I live in hope.

I can't provide specific details of the PC in question because it's my son's, and he lives 35+ miles away. He was running Win 8.1 but recently (in the past couple of days) upgraded to 10 and has run into a driver issue. He can't upgrade the driver because he doesn't have admin rights. I think he has an admin account on his system because I put it there, but it doesn't show up as a log-in option.

I've tried to enable the hidden admin account from a standard user acc on my system by running the command prompt as admin but am always to verify as admin - catch 22...

TIA for any advice offered,

Steve

A:Set up admin account on system with standard account only

Originally Posted by finnfire

Hello everyone. This is my first post on Ten Forums.

How can I create an admin account on a system that only has a standard user account? I suspect that the answer is that I can't, but I live in hope.

I can't provide specific details of the PC in question because it's my son's, and he lives 35+ miles away. He was running Win 8.1 but recently (in the past couple of days) upgraded to 10 and has run into a driver issue. He can't upgrade the driver because he doesn't have admin rights. I think he has an admin account on his system because I put it there, but it doesn't show up as a log-in option.

I've tried to enable the hidden admin account from a standard user acc on my system by running the command prompt as admin but am always to verify as admin - catch 22...

TIA for any advice offered,

Steve

Hi finnfire and welcome to Tenforums.

If you did indeed put an administrative account on your son's machine, then it would show up when he tries to do something that requires administrative privileges, (i.e. install a new program), and ask for that account's password. When the UAC pops up, the administrative account will be there waiting for the password to be entered. If you remember the password for that account, then he can do whatever he needs to do, if you give it to him.

If this doesn't work, you could try Option #4 in this tutorial:
Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Edit: Once the hidden Admin account is enabled, boot into Windows, log into that account, create a user with administrative rights, and then go back to step #4 and disable the hidden Admin account.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/29587-set-up-admin-account-system-standard-account-only.html
Relevancy 83.7%

I recently logged onto my account about days ago to finish a project The music file I used for the account was could not be found and when I went to locate it I was told I didn't have administrator rights I went to Control Panel because I was sure I was an Administrator but sure enough I was set as a Standard User I tried changing it up but it wouldn't change I tried changing the account name also and it wouldn't change I could only change account picture I can't open UAC I click it and it blinks but nothing opens I went online and tried these suggestions I deleted any recent program installations I booted in safe mode however I was still not able to change my account I tried activating the hidden administrator account but I received an quot access denied quot message I tried creating a new account but I received the following message quot The specified account name is not valid because account names contain the to Account!!! an Administrator standard I account change a can't following characters quot lt gt Please type a different name quot I didn't use any of those characters in the account name I ran different virus scans and they came up with nothing I turned the computer off unplugged everything and pressed the power button for seconds and rebooted but still nothing My roommate shares this computer with me and her account is still an administrator However she has traveled and I haven't been able to get hold of her yet We share music files and the file I can't change a standard account to an Administrator Account!!! I was trying to I can't change a standard account to an Administrator Account!!! use is in her account Any ideas why my account was changed and how I can change it back

A:I can't change a standard account to an Administrator Account!!!

You are going have to wait for your roommate...
Anything we could do would be consider hacking and that is against forum rules.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/214841-i-cant-change-standard-account-administrator-account.html
Relevancy 83.7%

Hi, I've been caught at school playing games on my computer .. so they took it from me, they deleted all of the games, and they changed my user account into a standard account! Do they even have the RIGHT to do this? Anyways, I want to change my standard account into an administrator account There's another account on my laptop called "Iconnect". This is an administrator account, and it's password protected. Can I get into this account and change my account to administrator? Please help me as I'm on spring break and I wont go to school for another 2 weeks !

A:How can I change my standard account into an administrator account?

No one can help you here about this problem I'm afraid.......

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-can-i-change-my-standard-account-into-an-administrator-account.897996/
Relevancy 83.39%

I need to use System Restore but I canít access it. I think System Administrator settings need to be fixed, but I canít even open User Accounts window from Control Panel anymore. I was administrator but now I don't have access to system restore?

Relevancy 81.22%

I am trying to create a non admin user account, which I know how to do the simple way, however I have been using the admin user account for a while now however I want to transfer/copy program setting, etc to this knew user account.

so I want to: create a non admin user account which is duplicate of the current existing admin account but from her on to install software etc I install under admin account.

I am using Vista too

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
David Lambie

A:How do I copy existing admin user account to normal user account

I would
> Create the new profile with admin privileges
> Transfer stuff things to the new profile (see here)
> Then remove admin privilege from the new account

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-copy-existing-admin-user-account-to-normal-user-account.146098/
Relevancy 81.22%

I just user when admin non made Lost Admin account account made a non admin user account on my Dell Inspiron windows xp laptop When I went online to sign in under my account admin it is no longer there My name Penne is there and Lost Admin user account when made non admin account so is my daughters I click on my name put my password in and it takes me to the desktop for my daughter and ALL my stuff is gone PLEASE HELP I have googled this and the only thing Lost Admin user account when made non admin account I am seeing is that you need to sign in under an Admin user account to fix this and get my stuff back THere is Lost Admin user account when made non admin account NO admin user account so how can I get it all back I did the F and went to restore to previous point and that didnt work I know there is a way to go to the restore calendar and find a day that her user account was not on there like last week so this might work but I dont know how to find this PLEASE help as all of my EVERYTHING is on my user account and I am lost without it all have a retreat this weekend and I need all of my sheet music and my songs Thanks so much PENNE nbsp

Relevancy 81.22%

I planned to try the frequent advice to do as much work as possible in a quot Standard user quot account rather than in the quot Administrator quot account I created a new account quot me Standard quot On opening the account I found that I could not access any of quot my quot personal files That seems fair enough I should probably have guessed that would happen So I user account Admimistrator or Standard account? deleted the new quot me standard quot account I'm now thinking about the possibility of downgrading my quot me Administrator quot account to a Standard account But is that going to make any difference Here is the description of UAC from quot Help and Support quot quot User Account Control UAC is a feature in Windows that can help prevent unauthorized changes to your computer UAC does this by asking you for permission or an administrator password before performing actions that could potentially affect your computer's operation or that change settings that affect other users quot Currently as Administrator I need to click the UAC popups that appear frequently I'm not complaining I know the reason for the UAC If I downgrade to a Standard user I will still need Admimistrator account or Standard user account? to click the UAC and probably need to give an Administrator password Again I don't mind doing that But what will I gain in terms of security Another frequently-mentioned reason to use a Standard account is that it restricts viruses and malware to the account of the current user However I'm the only user of this laptop so there are no quot other users quot to protect Any comments

A:Admimistrator account or Standard user account?

My best advice is to simply avoid infection and contamination by getting yourself a good Anti-Virus and Firewall. Your common sense should be the first line of defense when it comes to downloading and executing programs on your computer though, Anti-Virus and Firewall protection are to be considered a last line of defense.

I've never heard of using a "Standard" account to improve security coverage, but I can see how it would help. Though I've used administrator accounts forever and never had any problems with viruses or other infections. I personally disabled UAC after a week or two of using it on Vista, it's to obnoxious, intrusive, and completely useless. It's quite a bit better on Windows 7 though, especially since you can set a "drag-bar" to the level of protection you want.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/208942-admimistrator-account-standard-user-account.html
Relevancy 80.6%

I'm the only user on this laptop and my admin account to Profile/Account User admin problem (can't account) login original was called quot HybridPC quot and I disabled the windows login screen Turn computer on and goes right to desktop One day the welcome screen popped up out of nowhere and I had to login I tried disabling the login screen to where it was before and now I've screwed things up royally I cannot login to my original admin account or find it All the files are still there on my C Users HybridPC folder but I've lost the profile and user I think I messed things up further by trying to create delete other new user accounts I've attached screenshots showing my C users folder User account screen and the netplwiz exe profiles I've been adding deleting and can't get back to square one I don't see my user at all on the welcome screen Thanks for your help Top User Folder is new today and odd looking as I was attempting to fix on my own

A:User Profile/Account problem (can't login to original admin account)

Hello tytlyf, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Let's start to see if you disabled or deleted your "HybridPC" by using the tutorial below to get details about all accounts on your computer while you are logged in to your "Admin" account, then post back with them. Afterwards, we can go from there.

User Accounts - View Detailed Information About in Windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/357762-user-profile-account-problem-cant-login-original-admin-account.html
Relevancy 111.37%

I have a set of folder I encrypted from my user account. I haven't figured out how to access them from my admin account.

In reverse, while logged on my admin account, I droppped some files into folder encrypted by my user account. I can't access those files when I log on as a user.

How can I get access to all my encrypted files regardless of which logon I use?

A:Access my user account encrypted files from my admin account?

Umm...if you could access encrypted files from another user that would remove the whole point of encrypting the files to begin with.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/180997-access-my-user-account-encrypted-files-my-admin-account.html
Relevancy 110.94%

Suddenly, the Windows 7 doesn't allow me to access my Admin Account and showing error msg (The User Profile Service service failed to Logon). I am left with only the Guest Account with limited access.
I tried copying the cmd.exe, using Fix It Program, login through Safe Mode but all didn't work.
Would anyone help pls?
HMK

A:The User Profile (Administrator Account) Service failed to logon and then left with only Guest Account in Windows 7

Hi,

Occasionally, Windows might not read your user profile correctly, such as if your antivirus software is scanning your computer while you try to log on.
Please try restarting your computer and logging on with your user account again.

If the issue still persists, please restart in safe mode to log on with the built-in administrator account:
1. Restart your computer and hit F8 multiples times until you see a menu-like screen, if you see the Windows splash screen then repeat this step
2. Highlight and hit enter on Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Try logging in there.
3. If you are able to login, once a command prompt pops up, type: net user administrator password /active:yes (you can specify whatever password you want for the administrator
account.)
4. If you get a message saying "The command completed successfully", then restart your computer by typing: shutdown -r
5. Boot up again pressing F8, but this time choose just Safe Mode.
6. You will be able to login as Administrator with the password you set in Step 3.

Then try the following methods:
Method 1: Fix these user account profile on these computer

Method 2: Log on to Windows and copy your data to a new account
Method 3: Delete the error SID and create a new profile
For the detailed information, please refer to this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215Karen Hu
TechNet Community Support

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7389c4fb-18f4-43a9-b827-64581ddfff06/the-user-profile-administrator-account-service-failed-to-logon-and-then-left-with-only-guest?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 110.94%

HELP!!! I've accidentally had Control Alt Delete on my Logon Screen. And from my laptop, I couldn't type it in with my keyboard, so I have to use Ease of Access and use the On-screen Keyboard. From there, it had a "Other User" Account which asks for a username and password, which I don't have because THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I've encountered an "Other User" Account.

I don't know how to retrieve my administrator account. I've been guessing several usernames and passwords for the "Other User" account (even my admin. username and password) but no luck.

PLEASE HELP!! IM REALLY DESPERATE.

Here's what my logon screen currently looks like:

ImageShack? - Online Photo and Video Hosting

A:How do I disable Other User Account in Vista and retrieve Administrator account?

Hello, wow , i have never seen this before, here is an idea, couldn't hurt to try it : force a shutdown by pressing the power button, it will then shut down, Then restart it, it should go to the F8 screen automatically, see if you can enter into the restore or repair functions or last known working configuration. Just a thought. Post back results please.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/293592-how-do-i-disable-other-user-account-vista-retrieve-administrator-account.html
Relevancy 110.94%

I have two accounts on my XP laptop Changing Administrator To Account? Problems Account Normal User I have the Administrator account and a regular User account I had to do some administrative work with my User account so I logged in as the Administrator changed my User account Problems Changing Administrator Account To Normal User Account? to an Administrator account went and did my work I then logged back in as Administrator and tried to Problems Changing Administrator Account To Normal User Account? change my User Problems Changing Administrator Account To Normal User Account? account back to a normal user account but it wouldn t let me telling me that I have to have at least Administrator account for me to be able to do this I m not sure why it s telling me that because I still have my Administrator account I logged in as Administrator then went into Control Panel and then User Accounts Then I clicked on quot Change An Account quot Then I clicked on quot User quot Then I clicked on quot Change My Account Type quot But then on this page the quot Limited quot radio button is grayed out and I cannot change it and above it it says quot You must assign another user on this computer with a computer administrator account before you can change this user s account type This ensures that there is always at least one user with a computer administrator account on this computer quot Don t know why I m getting this seeing as how I m logged in as Administrator

A:Problems Changing Administrator Account To Normal User Account?

Nevermind. I figured out how to fix it. Instead of going through Control Panel->User Accounts, I go to Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management, and I'm able to make the change through there. Not sure why one method works and the other doesn't, but it does!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/93998/problems-changing-administrator-account-to-normal-user-account/
Relevancy 110.94%

I was having some trouble with Created disappeared new user Administrator account, original account a newly installed program failing to run Their tech support had me create a new user account start control panel user accounts create new account Created new user account, original Administrator account disappeared I did not realize that creating a new administrator user account by following their instructions would make the original Administrator user account inaccessible I dug through folders and found my documents and made sure they were all on my expansion drive Now I want my account back Otherwise I have to set up my entire computer again The thought of this makes me turn into a velociraptor who wants to destroy the tech support that told me to do this As of right now I have not internet connection on my computer I tried searching forums from my phone but it was extremely difficult not the best phone If this topic already exists and I just could not find it please accept my apologies for the duplicate and post a link Thanks

A:Created new user account, original Administrator account disappeared

I just remembered that I could CTL ALT DELETE twice at the Welcome screen to get to the logon and type in Administrator. I haven't used it in years, so it did not occur to me. I am now in my administrator user account. If I delete the new user account, will it go back to the way it was before? Or will I screw something else up by doing that?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/436013/created-new-user-account-original-administrator-account-disappeared/
Relevancy 110.08%

After installing windows home I logged in with whatever default account there is I then logged in with my Microsoft account to pull down some settings but then switched over to a local account so nothing else gets synced Things have since been working fine until this qualifies now in admin built the as user account account My morning Now for some My user account now qualifies as the built in admin account reason my user account is recognized as the built-in admin account My user account now qualifies as the built in admin account and I can not longer My user account now qualifies as the built in admin account run any of the modern apps that I downloaded or those that come preinstalled including edge the cmd command net users lists my account as the defaultAccount so at least that's consistent I have tried the solution offered here Settings can t be opened using the Built-in Administrator account in Windows - Super User to no success I am unable to begin the prompt to create a new user account located in settings gt accounts gt Family amp Other Users Which brings the to point of me having no idea what to do I can't create a new account to transition to I can't give my account the ability to run these apps which is preferred

A:My user account now qualifies as the built in admin account

Hi, press the win + r key's together in the run dialogue box type:- lusrmgr.msc press OK, expand Users find your account and right click, select properties, what is it a member of? Do you have other accounts?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/my-user-account-now-qualifies-as-the-built-in-admin-account-1115449.html
Relevancy 110.08%

My computer was set up using a single user account with admin privileges and all apps have been installed. In order to minimize the virus threat I now want to create a user account without admin privileges, but be able to access all apps and itunes library that I have already installed using the admin account.

Please let me have a step by step method how I should set about doing this

My system : i3 windows 8.1 4GB RAM 500GB HD

Thankyou

A:How 2 transfer apps from Admin account to ltd user account

I'd go to Control Panel, Users Account and add a new Standard account. The new name only has to be one character different. The new account should be able to do most things but will be quite limited in making changes to the computer.
How Microsoft Overhauled User Accounts In Windows 8
I'd leave the existing account alone, should always have at least one that has administrative rights. There is an actual Administrator account but it is hidden on purpose.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/59044-how-2-transfer-apps-admin-account-ltd-user-account.html
Relevancy 110.08%

hello every one
I was hoping if some one could help me at this.
I had created a local account in my machine which is a part of a small office network. and given it administrative rights. every once in a while the account gets downgraded to a limited user account and a I had to go all the way to control panel to reset the settings for that specific user account. I tried background check on the machine to check it for possible malware or virus infection but couldn't find anything.
could it be the user profile settings getting changed athomatically due several usages or could it be log file getting full or needs to be cleared?
so much in need for help

A:admin account gets downgraded to limited user account

possibly because that comp didnt come with Ultimate and when it re-activates, it uses the true Admin account and resets the others.

Roy

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/398805-admin-account-gets-downgraded-limited-user-account.html
Relevancy 109.65%

My Windows7 suddenly displayed a default desktop. I then did an unsuccessful system restore, tried the undo and got stuck.

From there on, when I want to log in I end up at the error message "The user profile service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded".

I tried to activate the administrator account by using "net user administrator /active:yes". The command executes, but administrator never shows up on the login screen.

I cannot start Windows 7 in safe mode. A few seconds after the safe mode login screen appears the computer restarts automatically. No administrator account is listed here either.

I tried kb/947215, but only S-1-5-18, 19 and 20 show up (regedit from the command prompt, since I cannot log into Windows 7 in any mode.

The startup repair doesn't find a fault. What now? I want to avoid a clean install, if at all possible...

A:User account corrupted, administrator account not accessible

You could try a Repair Install: Repair Install

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/228388-user-account-corrupted-administrator-account-not-accessible.html
Relevancy 108.36%

Hi Folks,  i like to use on demand scanners alongside my regular AV and i do this when i'm in my Admin account,  now when i go to my user account do i need to do the scans for it as well ?

Thanks

A:Question about Admin account and user account

This might be of interest: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/198067/anti-malware-scan-on-a-computer-with-different-users/

Regards.....................

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/502482/question-about-admin-account-and-user-account/
Relevancy 108.36%

Hello all I need some guidance please I have a chess software program that I installed on my not account but account... run party SW User 3rd in Admin will Admin user account for W bit OS The program is a bit older and would not run after installation on my W OS After I went into the properties and compatibility mode and selected the option to run as if my OS was Windows XP Service Pack then the program started running and working great My 3rd party SW will run in Admin account but not User account... problem is that if I use a different User Account other than admin and try to run the program it gives me an error message and won't start I also selected 3rd party SW will run in Admin account but not User account... the compatibility mode for Windows XP SP in the other user account but it didn't help Finally I went to Control Panel - Programs and Features with the thought to try to uninstall and reinstall the program and the chess program isn't even listed with my other installed programs and yet it still runs just fine on my Admin account Any guidance or thoughts on this matter would be most appreciated Regards Gavin

A:3rd party SW will run in Admin account but not User account...

Welcome
Gavin, did you give permission to the other user to use the game
Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups

You may also want to have it run as adminstrastor, when in the none adminstrator account
Run as Administrator

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/150798-3rd-party-sw-will-run-admin-account-but-not-user-account.html
Relevancy 108.36%

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, or even if this is possible, but...

Is there any possible way to make it so that my normal account can be transformed into an administrator account?

In order to make one of my games function properly, I need to enter the task manager and set the affinity so that the game uses 1 core to operate. In order to do this, I have to run the application, switch user accounts (from mine to the admin), set the affinity there, then switch back.

It gives me no option to apply administrative settings when I try to set the affinity on my main account, it just tells me I can't.

Any help would be great, thanks!

A:Making User Account into Admin Account

Quote: Originally Posted by StevenBonnellII

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, or even if this is possible, but...

Is there any possible way to make it so that my normal account can be transformed into an administrator account?

In order to make one of my games function properly, I need to enter the task manager and set the affinity so that the game uses 1 core to operate. In order to do this, I have to run the application, switch user accounts (from mine to the admin), set the affinity there, then switch back.

It gives me no option to apply administrative settings when I try to set the affinity on my main account, it just tells me I can't.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Hi ans welcome to seven forums

Why not either run as admin all the time, or Run with elevated rughts? There is even a tutorial on how to run elevated rights in the tutorial section here on SF

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/22850-making-user-account-into-admin-account.html
Relevancy 107.93%

So this is probably the strangest problem I have ever encountered with Windows About two or three months ago I noticed that my user account had suddenly changed into a guest account I get prompted for an administrator password when trying to do any tasks that require administrator privilege It is not a huge hassle as I know the administrator account password Here a change changed it User can into account, I account how back guest is where it becomes very strange When I turn my computer on it automatically logs me into my user account the guest account When I got into the user accounts section of the control panel and try to manage user accounts it shows exactly zero user accounts on my computer Also when I try to change my user account the guest account to an administrator account precisely nothing happens It User account changed into a guest account, how can I change it back gets evens stranger When I log out of Windows the only user account I can pick from to log back into Windows is the generic quot Administrator quot account My user account is nowhere to be found When I go to the control panel and try to manage accounts only the administrator account is listed There is an option turn on a generic guest account but nothing related to my original user account is shown Again this is in contrast to when I am logged into my user account the User account changed into a guest account, how can I change it back guest account and see exactly zero user accounts listed on the manage accounts screen I feel that I am pretty good at avoiding bad websites and I do have an antivirus program installed not that that will prevent my computer from being infected but I have used it to do full system scans and I have found nothing on my computer every time Additionally I have Windows updates set to be automatically installed so all of the updates have been installed on my version of Windows I tried asking Microsoft support directly all I got was that no user accounts showing up under the manage user accounts tab is a pretty bad sign and that in order to fully diagnose the problem I would need to sign up for the quot Assure Plan quot or whatever it was called which cost for one year Forget that option for now Does anyone know how to resolve this issue How can I switch my original user account from a guest account and then how could I make it an administrator account once I have retrieved it so-to-speak from being a phantom guest account I mean I know the administrator password and all and so I have been able to essentially use my computer as if nothing is wrong But this whole issue seems very very strange and so I want to see what you guys have to say about it I hope these are not the signs of a more serious and potentially major issue Thanks in advance for anyone's help with this

A:User account changed into a guest account, how can I change it back

Hi and welcome to the Forum
When you refer to the generic Administrator Account do you mean the Account that is hidden in Windows 7? If so did you activate it using this:
Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable If you did the above then this is strange as forgetting the "Hidden admin account you must have at least one ordinary Admin account in Windows 7. You can't operate the system without one!!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/335636-user-account-changed-into-guest-account-how-can-i-change-back.html
Relevancy 107.93%

hello ever one,
i am mahesh,
accidentally i disabled administrator account in local users and groups-users-properties of administrator account-put tick in ACCOUNT DISABLED.I have on guest account.now i am accessing that one.but i can't able to login in ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT.any body help me how to enable administrator account from guest account by command mode or registry.I know administrator account password.

If any body known plz give me best suggestion.

Thank u.
T.S MAHESWARA REDDY

A:how to enabel administrator account in user account

Hi Mahesh,

Which version of XP, home edition, professional or media centre? I think the procedure depends on this.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-enabel-administrator-account-in-user-account-617319.html
Relevancy 106.64%

Hi Guys I'm new to this forum as in this is my first post so please be gentle with Admin? Standard Account to Hidden (Admin) Transferring me if this has been answered before So anyway I have a standard account with admin privileges turned off UAC etc but it doesn't seem to be elevated all the time for example I still see the quot admin shield Transferring Standard (Admin) Account to Hidden Admin? quot icon next to some programs on my desktop Most of the time I have to right click and select quot Run as Administrator quot from the popup menu and also Windows still asks me when something needs admin mode and do I want to continue I have Transferring Standard (Admin) Account to Hidden Admin? activated the hidden true admin account on my PC and when I log into that everything is elevated and great no more prompts etc which is what I want But the problem is it looks very basic I want to be able to transfer all my settings from my standard admin account to my true admin account is this possible I've tried going to system- gt advanced system settings- gt user profiles to copy the account across but the copy button is grayed out If this is not possible is there any way to make this standard admin account the full type which is always elevated Hope someone can help me I'm getting very annoyed having to give permission for things I want to do all the time Thanks in advance -milw rm

A:Transferring Standard (Admin) Account to Hidden Admin?

Hello milw0rm, and welcome to Eight Forums.

You could use the tutorial below to elevate your standard administrator account to have the same elevated rights as the built-in elevated Administrator account.

Be warned though, that all Metro Store apps and the Store will not work in an elevated account.

User Account Control (UAC) - Elevate Privilege Level - Vista Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/16240-transferring-standard-admin-account-hidden-admin.html
Relevancy 105.35%

Why ought somebody who has a PC and put's Windows on it, create a standard account and use it for their everyday computing, instead of just using the Administrator's account they created when they installed Windows?
The following page from microsoft.com,
Change a user&#39;s account type - Microsoft Windows Help
entitled "Change a user's account type, says:
When you set up Windows, you were required to create a user account. This account is an administrator account that allows you to set up your computer and install any programs that you'd like to use. Once you finish setting up your computer, we recommend that you create a standard account and use it for your everyday computing.

A:Why Use a Standard Account Instead of Administrator?

An admin account runs with higher permission levels than a Standard one. If the account in use is Admin level it's easier for malware to infect the PC.

Having said that, I use only one, Admin, account on my machines.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/327734-why-use-standard-account-instead-administrator.html
Relevancy 104.49%

I want to change my first account from admin to standard, but you need to have atleast 1 admin account on available at the time, so since it was my only account, I made another and made that admin too, the I changed my first created account to standard. However! The first account can freely go from standard back to admin by itself...is there a way to stop this?

A:can you change an admin account to standard?

You cannot demote your root admin account.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/38031-can-you-change-admin-account-standard.html
Relevancy 104.49%

Hi All,

Windows 7 Professional 64bit

I have used the guide on how to enable and hide the in-built admin account and was successful however I found that after making the account I used to set up Windows 7 from admin to standard user and then disabling the in-built admin account the UAC setting would not correctly work, as it wanted admin privileges but it was not giving me the option to enter the admin password. The ok button would be greyed out.

Has anyone come across this before and if so what is the solution.

A:Admin and Standard Account Users

Never happened to me before, however, did you try going into safemode and sorting it out from there?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/303016-admin-standard-account-users.html
Relevancy 104.06%

I am using an hp pavillion dv6 notebook pc with windows 7 home premium

A:How do I change my account from administrator to standard?

Go to Control Panel (icon view) and select User Accounts, if the user account that you want to change is not showing, click "manage another account" and select the account you wish to change. Once you have the account showing, click "change your account type" tick the Standard radio button and click "change account type"

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/How-do-I-change-my-account-from-administrator-to-standard/td-p/1197893
Relevancy 104.06%

Hi everyone! I accidentally changed my administrator account to a standard one. Now, I can hardly change a thing on my pc for it requires me to insert a smart card. Its hard for me to purchase one for I don't know where to buy it here in the Philippines.I badly need your help, please. Thank you.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/47045-changed-my-administrator-account-standard-one.html
Relevancy 104.06%

the "run as administrator" option? If you're the administrator, aren't all programs "run as administrator" by default?

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to delete something via Spybot, and a message appeared on the screen saying I need to run the program as an adminstrator in order to perform the deletion.

A:If my user account is the administrator account, why the need for...

By default, an administrator account behaves in exactly the same way and with the same privileges as a standard account. Some programs, however, need to be run at a higher privilege level, even when run from an administrator account. In these cases, you need to right-click and select Run as administrator. Depending on the account you are currently using, you will be asked to provide administrative credentials (from a standard account) or confirm that you want to elevate (from within an administrative account).

This is part of the improved security in Windows 7, and is designed to make it harder for malware to get on your system. Of course, it isn't infallible, so you must always keep alert.

This is controlled by means of tokens, and a standard account has just one whereas an administrator account has two, a standard token and an administrative token. In normal use, both types of account use the token with standard privileges. When you right-click and select Run as administrator (see above), you are instructing the program (and that program only) to use the administrator token and to run with full administrative privileges.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/133688-if-my-user-account-administrator-account-why-need.html
Relevancy 103.63%

Hi,
I have a Windows 8.1 system on a lap top that was used by a former employee. Her name was still on user name and I couldn't change it without Admin privileges (otherwise was asking for a smart card). Found out how to get in to admin in safe mode with Net
User Admin yes- then discovered that the old log in and information / desk top is no longer available. The docs are under Users (old employee's name) in C drive, but the docs and settings no longer show up and the admin log in is the only one available - no
option to change users.
When I went in and said Net User Admin no - thinking if I disabled admin user it would go back to the old log in -  there was no log in available at all.

Help?
Launa

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/56c281dc-3368-4418-93ac-3cd96832c513/enabled-net-user-admin-to-change-an-account-name-cant-change-name-and-now-origial-login-account?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 103.2%

Hi guys,

I'm having this weird problem with accounts. My mother has an administrator account on her PC and I've created a standard user account for my nephew to play his games on. The thing is, every time I install a new game/program the icon not only shows up on his account but on the Admin desktop as well. I've got around this by dragging the shortcut from the admin desktop to the corresponding user desktop, but I don't want to be doing this all the time. What did I do wrong when I created the standard account and is there anything I can do to prevent any future shortcuts on the standard account showing up on the administrator desktop?

A:Standard account creates shortcuts in admin

Unfortunately some installers just do not deal with multiple accounts well.

The only thing you can do is to always choose custom install on a program (which you should always do anyway to avoid bloatware) and if it has the option, to install for all users. Other then that, that is the way it is.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/334731-standard-account-creates-shortcuts-admin.html
Relevancy 103.2%

Hi,

I want to know if it makes a difference whether I install applications under the Admin or standard account. When I upgraded from XP to W7, I decided to setup an admin and a standard account. I know computers well but all my life, I always had one account but now want to be more secure.

I have been installing some applications under the Admin account and others under the Standard.

Does it matter? Is there any difference? Will I have a problem doing one over the other?

Thanks

A:Installing apps - Admin or standard account?

mkarias, usually you will have to log in as admin or provide an admin password to install an application. In the end, Win7 will see you as the admin. Standard accounts can't do many changes to the computer (that is the idea actually)

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/38512-installing-apps-admin-standard-account.html
Relevancy 103.2%

Accidentally posted this in a solved thread - sorry if you're re-seeing it I set up my Surface book by using the Win Admin account to install programs port my files from the old PC change preferences no Cortana hover-to-select single-click-to-open task bar and live-tiles customized and a lot of security settings changed Now that all these changes have been made some of which might have been difficult or unavailable in a Standard account I'm ready to settle into daily use of the PC Most articles say daily use should be done in a Standard account so I made a local one via Settings Accounts Family amp Other People Add Someone Else to This PC generate as account that a Standard Can same is Admin I my acct? the I don't have this person's sign-in info etc I thought the Admin account would act as a master template such that any Standard account it spawned would be the same minus the privileges that make the Admin account less safe for everyday use and that the Standard account could be further restricted once generated BUT A quick look at the new Standard account shows at least some of my customizations did not carry overy Cortana Can I generate a Standard account that is the same as my Admin acct? is on single-click double-click is required to select open and my taskbar and live tile arrangements are back to default And my files are not available I'm guessing this could be fixed by sharing So I'm assuming many of my other changes including security tweaks are off in the new Standard account too If I make a new Admin account or I switch my Standard to Admin then switch my original Admin account to Standard account as suggested in a recent thread then my daily use Standard account will be set up as I like it but the new Admin account won't be How can a generate a Standard account which is exactly like my Admin account of course it won't have the privileges but that's the point I don't want to make all the changes manually again and I read about cloning via Audit Mode Sysprep but even if this does what I want it's beyond me Thanks

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/62006-can-i-generate-standard-account-same-my-admin-acct.html
Relevancy 103.2%

Hello, so I had set myself up as an administrator on my computer a while back, but I now I need to delete the account. But, I was being an adventurous idiot and set my account as a standard type, and because of this I can't access the control panel, the RUN, and CMD. Is there anyway for me to change myself back into an administrator or delete my account?

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/delete-admin-account-windows-10-standard-4606302/
Relevancy 102.77%

Hi,

I'm currently using Windows 8.0. Would like to check if it is possible to allow a particular software to be run as Administrator, even when I am using a "standard account", without the need to enter the administrator password everytime I open it? Essentially like making an exception to allow the software to make changes to system while in a standard account.

Reason being, I am using a Standard account, but do not know the administrator password. But there is this particular program that I am required to use, but everytime I open it will prompt if I would like to Run as Admin. And if I click No to that, some functions will not be workable in the program.

Please advise, thanks!

A:Administrator rights for software in Standard account

Hello whoknew, and welcome to Eight Forums.

If you like, you could use the method below to create an elevated shortcut to allow a standard user to run a program as administrator.

Elevated Program Shortcut - Create for Standard User - Windows 7 Help Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/42728-administrator-rights-software-standard-account.html
Relevancy 102.34%

Greetings A friend of mine to auto & on auto account logs-in user account, reboots BSOD's Admin has been having a recurring issue with his computer that's getting worse I've spent hours going through the forums BSOD's on user account, auto reboots & auto logs-in to Admin account but haven't seen anything about this so I'm posting here Any help would be greatly appreciated ISSUE He uses his computer with a password protected user account while rarely logging in off the BSOD's on user account, auto reboots & auto logs-in to Admin account password protected Admin account For months while working in his user account his computer will BSOD at random times whenever he has IE or Chrome open He's got malware causing him issues BUT In the last few weeks when it reboots after a BSOD it will automatically login to his Admin account on its own without him entering his Admin password WTH I've never even heard of something like this and not sure where to start He ran Malwarebytes and sent me an email tonight below that listed what was found Over the last couple of years he seems to be a magnet for downloading PUPs PUMs malware adware viruses etc that I've had to help him through His computer is custom built Windows Home x - All service packs auto updates turned on amp current Core i GB RAM ATI video card AV MSE Also runs MalwareBytes free His email last night quot I received a BSOD while logged onto my user account side with Chrome and Outlook open I went to watch TV for an hour and when I came back to the computer I must have had a BSOD and I was logged onto the Admin side This is the second or third time this has happened like this quot quot While on the Admin side I ran CC Cleaner and Malwarebytes Attached is a document that Malwarebytes found threats I have no idea what they mean or if any of those could be causing my BSOD issues When you get some time please take a look at them and see what you can determine Appreciate it quot Here's the list of items Malwarebytes found when he ran it as Admin I looked them up and he's got serious problems But what concerns me is how his computer is rebooting after a BSOD and logging into his Admin account on its own without him entering the password I've edited the list to remove his Admin account name so that it XXX Malwarebytes Anti-Malware www malwarebytes org Scan Date Scan Time PM Logfile Detected Threats txt Administrator Yes version Malware Database v Rootkit Database v License Free Malware Protection Disabled Malicious website Protection Disabled self-protection Disabled os windows service Pack CPU x File system NTFS User XXX-Admin Scan Type Threat Scan Result completed objects scanned Time Elapsed min sec Memory Enabled startup Enabled Filesystem Enabled Archives Enabled Rootkits Enabled Heuristics Enabled PUP Enabled PUM Enabled Processes NO malicious items detected Modules NO malicious items detected Registry Keys PUM security Hijack Disablechromeupdates HKLM SOFTWARE POLICIES GOOGLE UPDATE e aa d a fa a celce da PUP optional superoptimizer HKLM SOFTWARE wow NODE A F -FC - C-A -COl AF E C eba e bfOa f eebffa cOef PUM security Hijack Disablechromeupdates HKLM SOFTWARE WOW NODE POLICIES GOOGLE UPDATE ce e a cb b f e PUP optional superoptimizer HKU S- - - SOFTWARE APPDATALOW AC - F - -B FD- BC F a acf ee db cfeaa d cb PUP optional superoptimizer HKU S- - - - - - - SOFTWARE APPDATALOW AC - F br - -B FD- BC F bad d cebdb c dcfeaba a a PUP optional conduit HKU S- - - - - - - SOFTWARE MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER SEARCHSCOPES EE -D - F-AOFF-E B B E A b de cOb d e b dlda ad PUP optional w i HKU S- - - - - - - SOFTWARE MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER SEARCHSCOPES CC EBA - - D -A - FE A e d f c d f ba PUP Optional optimizerpro HKU S- - - - - - - SOFTWARE OPTIMIZER PRO fcf c fd d a acOcf Registry values PUM security Hijack Disablechromeupdates HKLM SOFTWARE POLICIES GOOGLE UPDATE DisableAutoupdatecheckscheckboxvalue e aa d a fa a celce da PUM security Hijack Disablechromeupdates HKLM SOFTWARE W... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/381486-bsods-user-account-auto-reboots-auto-logs-admin-account.html
Relevancy 102.34%

I always liked using a non admin account to (help a little bit) protect against spyware and Trojans and all of that. Now that I have W8 and linked to my Microsoft account I was going to do the same thing but it is not letting me.
W8 was installed and when I logged in for the first time using my MS account it set me up as an admin. I created a second local account that was an admin and used that one to try to set the MS account to a standard but it didn't let me.
Is doing this possible and should I even bother?

A:Change my Microsoft login account from admin to standard?

Hello Jezo, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Odd, it let me change by default administrator account created during installation to standard after creating another local administrator account, sign in and out of local to finish setting it up, then sign back in to the administrator account to change the types.

Double check to make sure that the new local account is actually an administrator type. By default, when you add a new account in Windows 8, it's created as a standard account.

User Account Type - Change in Windows 8
If it just won't let you, then I suppose that you could do this below as a workaround.

Change the new local back to standard.Switch your administrator Microsoft account to be a local account.Switch the new local to a Microsoft account with your email address.
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/14893-change-my-microsoft-login-account-admin-standard.html
Relevancy 102.34%

I have several PCs that only have one user account (Admin). The user of the PC has used this Admin account for some time and over time accumulated docs, pics, browser settings, desktop configurations, etc...

I want to add a standard user account and have everything transfer to the user account from the Admin account they were using such as docs, pics, browser settings, desktop configuration, etc...

Basically what I'm wanting to do is have the user sign in with the standard account and see and access their stuff as normal as if nothing changed other than they now cannot utilize the admin account (no downloading, altering, installing software, etc...
Not sure what to call this type of action so searching for the procedure has been difficult. Not sure if the action necessary is universal between Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 which are the 3 OS I have between the 3 PCs. Any guidance in achieving this task would be great.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/401546-sign-standard-account-see-access-admin-stuff.html
Relevancy 102.34%

I Help, Need to Standard Major and to set unable change. Admin account was at my Math class and my roommate texted me telling me my computer started to freak out The computer turned itself on and the fans went extremely loud Need Major Help, Admin account set to Standard and unable to change. and a clicking noise started I have a Sager Clevo P So I get back to the room and my computer was off and everything seemed fine I started it up and my sticky keys were not set This happened before though sethc exe was not in the right spot I fixed this before by putting it where it correctly goes and allowing full control to my admin account I tried to do this again and it would not let me I went to User account and found out my only account on this computer is set to Standard Don't ask me how this is possible so now I have no admin account on my own computer and I don't have full control over it I tried bringing up the command prompt and manually activating an administrator account by doing net user administrator active yes and my access is denied because I am not an admin account I then booted my computer in safe mode and tried to access the admin account that way Which there was an admin account but a password attached to it The password is not what my password is and I did not set any other password because there was always only user So what the hell do I do I can not set an admin account and I am locked out of any other admin accounts please help

A:Need Major Help, Admin account set to Standard and unable to change.

If you have an install or repair disc try this How to Reset Your Forgotten Windows Password the Easy Way - How-To Geek

Or this if you have no disc How to Reset Your Windows Password Without an Install CD - How-To Geek

Don't trust your room mate, password protect your computer!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/267504-need-major-help-admin-account-set-standard-unable-change.html
Relevancy 102.34%

Hello All Despite this forum looks like a x bits place I hope you will be able to assist me in solving an access authorisation issue on a Vista Premium bits system As admin on my computer I installed a game named Mythos installed in C Program Files Frogster Mythos I would like my kids who have a Standard account to play this game but each time they try to run it they are requested Admin privileges which I do of course NOT want to provide them a run to standard admin account program cedentials ? requiring in How with I tried to provide the most open possible sharing capabilities to this folder Frogster without any success I tried to increase the privileges level to the max full control still to no avail Looking into the help for sharing files in windows help didn't help me and googling not more unfortunately There must be somewhere some guide to allow a Standard user to use access resources installed by the Admin account without providing the Admin pwd right Thanks for your precious advice

A:How to run in standard account a program requiring admin cedentials ?

Hello aschwarzie and welcome to the forums

Despite the name, we help people with both x86 and x64 Anyone is welcome here

Have you seen this: Parental Controls - Specific Programs

Tom

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/291538-how-run-standard-account-program-requiring-admin-cedentials.html
Relevancy 102.34%

I'm helping two friends Bob amp Jane who want separate accounts on their new computer They hired someone to help them who wound up setting up Jane's account on the default Admin account When I saw this I set up a new Admin account named quot Bob quot and changed Jane's Issues Changed Account - Default Standard Admin Having Now to account to Standard Fast-forward to present Now in Windows Explorer I'm seeing two accounts quot PC quot and quot Jane quot However these labels are mixed up The account labeled quot Jane quot in Windows Explorer is actually Bob's Admin account has his specific files desktop shortcuts etc and the account labeled quot PC quot is actually Jane's Standard account After making the initial account changes the accounts were logged off of and the computer restarted to make the changes effective That the change is not being reflected in Windows Explorer Changed Default Admin Account to Standard - Now Having Issues is concerning and I'm also wondering if there could be additional residual effects after making the changes I've described Changed Default Admin Account to Standard - Now Having Issues Any help is much appreciated

A:Changed Default Admin Account to Standard - Now Having Issues

Anyone? Was changing the default admin acct to standard a bad idea?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/359503-changed-default-admin-account-standard-now-having-issues.html
Relevancy 101.48%

I have Windows XP Professional SP2, Dell Inspiron 4000.

Ever since I got my computer I've been using the account "Administrator." So all my files and settings are on it. Today I randomly decided to make a new account, unaware that Administrator would disappear. (Apparently, says Windows Help & Support, Administrator is only available in safe mode or when there's no other account.) So now I want to go back to Administrator, but I can't figure out how to delete the new account... Any suggestions?

A:Want to go back to "Administrator" user account

Log in in safe mode by pressing F8 when booting and then choose Administrator. Then from safe mode delete your new account. Then once Administrator is the only account, reboot. That should force Windows to allow you to use Administrator.

Another option you can try also is pressing CRTL ALT DEL twice at the login screen and typing "Administrator" and your pass. It may not work, however, due to XP Home.

BMR777

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/want-to-go-back-to-administrator-user-account-88312.html
Relevancy 101.48%

I have Windows XP Professional SP2, Dell Inspiron 4000.

Ever since I got my computer I've been using the account "Administrator." So all my files and settings are on it. Today I randomly decided to make a new account, unaware that Administrator would disappear. (Apparently, says Windows Help & Support, Administrator is only available in safe mode or when there's no other account.) So now I want to go back to Administrator, but I can't figure out how to delete the new account... Any suggestions?

Relevancy 100.62%

Finally was able to copy my default user profile so that my admin account and the two standard user accounts are set up just the way I like them. Now in my standard account that I use on a daily basis every time I open a program a UAC pops up and makes me enter my admin password.

A:Standard user account

make one of your user accounts have admin priviledges
although you give it admin priviledges it is not the same as the actual admin account which is hidden

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/standard-user-account-184997.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Finally was able to copy my default user profile so that my admin account and the two standard user accounts are set up just the way I like them. Now in my standard account that I use on a daily basis every time I open a program a UAC pops up and makes me enter my admin password.

Relevancy 100.62%

I installed a program on the administrator account, Asus SixEngine that works correctly on this account, but the standard account, this program does not retain settings and every restart the program runs with default settings, not those made ​​by me.
We walked to the permission, I gave full control and still not working correctly.

sorry for my bad english

A:standard user account

Have a look at this:
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- P5Q - Sixengine.exe

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/169752-standard-user-account.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Is it still recommended to do your daily tasks in a non-administrator user account, or is that obsolete advice in windows 8-10?

A:should I use a standard user account?

Personally, my Microsoft Account login has administrator privileges. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a main user account with user privileges and a seperate local account with administrator privileges.

What you absolutely do NOT want to do is rely upon or use the built-in Administrator account as your routine administrator account.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/43250-should-i-use-standard-user-account.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Hello,

Much like the title, I wanted to know if it's possible to convert the Built-in Administrator account into a standard user account with out copying over/losing data. I want to stop using the Built-in Administrator as it poses a security threat but I already have all my files/programs moved in.

Initially, I tried to rename the account to a different name, then created a secondary normal local admin account and went into the Group Policy Editor to remove the Built-in Administrator from the Administrator circle, but receive an error as expected. Something to the effect of, " Unable to remove Administrator from Built-in Administrators group". According to this page you can disable the account but not remove it, but won't that lose/hide all my data as well on that account? Is there any way around this without backing up/coping everything?

Thanks in advance

A:Convert Builtin Administrator account to standard without losing data?

You can't change any of the built in accounts to another type. You can freely disable the account without losing any of the profiles contents.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/378148-convert-builtin-administrator-account-standard-without-losing-data.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Is a standard user account really necessary for tight security for the home user or will a well secured administrator account be sufficient?

http://www.tenforums.com/antivirus-firewalls-system-security/64477-standard-user-account-necessary-tight-security-home-user.html
Relevancy 99.76%

hello,

I have created a standard user.

my requirements:

1. standard user can install programs, which is saved for future uses (i have seen pcs where the programs are deleted/uninstalled as soon as the user log out)

2. standard user CANNOT re-install windows by inserting a windows disc at boot up!!

Is this already present under default standard user or..do i have to add some settings?

thank you!

A:Account type: Standard user

Quote: Originally Posted by johnn1

1. standard user can install programs, which is saved for future uses (i have seen pcs where the programs are deleted/uninstalled as soon as the user log out)

Installing a program isn't actually a special thing, it is just copying files to a certain location and setting some things up. As long as an application is not depending on administrative power it can be ran or installed anywhere. So yes a standard user can install applications...if they support installing without admin power. Look at Google Chrome, it requires no administrative power to install or run.

Quote:
2. standard user CANNOT re-install windows by inserting a windows disc at boot up!!

Impossible. Windows is not running when a computer boots up, thus no user accounts.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/225513-account-type-standard-user.html
Relevancy 99.76%

soz if in wrong place, but i had no idea where to make this topic...

so just found out that theres a hidden account in account manager, that doesnt show in C:/users folder or in LogOn screen, and it wasnt there few weeks ago.

any ideas how it was created? since noone else uses my PC then it was kinda a surprise for me.

EDIT: yeah soz, googled it and found another topic about it in SF and so on... soz but im a NEWBIE in stuff that i dont know how they happen and i like to panic alot since pretty much every week something in my pc stops working...

http://forums.asp.net/p/758994/758994.aspx

A:hidden standard user account

Where did you get your copy of 7

I will know more when you answer.

or

It could have been put there by one of your programs, they sometimes create an account to operate.

or it could be malware

Make and antivirus scan and download and run malwarebytes.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/95626-hidden-standard-user-account.html
Relevancy 99.76%

I just created a standard user account and when I log on its blank like I just installed windows. How do I give a standard account the same desktop and start menu settings as my admin account? I asked this on a Microsoft forum that didn't help. Thanks,

A:Standard User Account Desktop

Hi Cyber Kong,

Can you please post a screenshot of what you're describing, according to these instructions? http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...en-forums.html

That will help a lot, thanks.

Walker
Windows Outreach Team

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/68844-standard-user-account-desktop.html
Relevancy 99.76%

How do i get a new picture in standard user account?
it never has had a picture
when i click start/picture standard user account/add picture nothing happens-start screen goes task bar does not let me do anything.
tried control panel/user accounts/manage accounts
does not give me option add picture
any ideas?

A:Picture standard user account

Go to PC Settings > Accounts > Browse .... then click on the picture that you want to associate with your account.

T.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/picture-standard-user-account.1153412/
Relevancy 99.76%

I am having problems setting up different user accounts I have been using my administrator account since I have owned my laptop However there are other members of my household that have recently been using my laptop to surf the web and do basically whatever they want on my Standard Account Windows User 7 laptop This is fine and dandy with me but I have a lot information and work files on my laptop that I do not want to be harmed or deleted by mistake So I decided that I would like to set up different user accounts for each user First I went to the control panel and created a new user account as a standard user Now when I go to start and select switch user Windows 7 Standard User Account the only options I have are my Adminstrator Account and the Guest Account The new standard user account is not listed in my options to select I went back to the control panel to ensure that the new standard user account is listed and it is So how come there is no option to sign into it I am working on a home network work group Is there a step I am missing or am I doing something wrong Thank you in advance for your help nbsp

A:Windows 7 Standard User Account

I don't know if it is necessary, but I'd try a reboot before doing anything more.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-standard-user-account.992702/
Relevancy 99.76%

I occasionally come across some functions that I can't access through my standard user account. The latest one is Start/Default Programs/Set program access and computer defaults. It tells me I do not have permission, no opportunity to elevate rights, so I had to log into the admin account.

I tried starting Control Panel using Run as administrator and going in through there, did the same thing.

Any ideas how to gain access in way that allows the UAC elevation?

Thanks

A:Not accessible through a standard user account?

User Account Control - UAC - Change Notification Settings

Standard Account:

Quote:
A standard user account lets a person use most of the capabilities of the computer, but permission from an administrator is required if you want to make changes that affect other users or the security of the computer.
When you use a standard account, you can use most programs that are installed on the computer, but you can't install or uninstall software and hardware, delete files that are required for the computer to work, or change settings on the computer that affect other users. If you're using a standard account, some programs might require you to provide an administrator password before you can perform certain tasks.

Administrator Account:

Quote:
An administrator account is a user account that lets you make changes that will affect other users. Administrators can change security settings, install software and hardware, and access all files on the computer. Administrators can also make changes to other user accounts.
When you set up Windows, you'll be required to create a user account. This account is an administrator account that allows you to set up your computer and install any programs that you would like to use. Once you have finished setting up your computer, we recommend that you use a standard user account for your day-to-day computing. It's more secure to use a standard user account instead of an administrator account.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/144040-not-accessible-through-standard-user-account.html
Relevancy 99.76%

Hello!

I have a laptop with vista home premium sp2 64 bit and have created a standard user account. Now I have two accounts, the administrator account and the standard user account. My question is, is it possible to get the standard user account to remember my settings? For example, under system properties, performance, visual effects I like to customize those settings. I have to do it every time I log into the standard account. How can I get these to stay each time I log in?

Thanks

A:Standard user account question

AFAIK, it should keep those settings but not 100% sure.

You could try a trial of a third party program such as TuneUp Utilities or Vista Manager as you may be able to get the settings to stick that way???

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/standard-user-account-question-430559.html
Relevancy 99.76%

Hello,

I just bought my new acer laptop today, and it came with windows 8.1. Right out of the box, I installed the updates and as soon as that was done, I tried to setup a "standard" account, so I'm not surfing the web with admin privs. The problem is, I can make the accounts but I can't log into them. Every time I do I get immediately signed out. It acts as if it's going to load, then switches to signing out and takes me back to the start. I've tried googling this and can't seem to find any info on it. It's a brand new laptop, hasn't been out of the box a day yet.

A:Can't sign in to Standard user account

The same thing happened to me. I checked my event logs and found out it was the Soluto program pre-installed with the laptop. I had uninstalled the program (and the other pre-installed programs like Pokki and WildTangent) through the "Programs and Features" control panel but apparently not everything was uninstalled. Check out the following link to get the Soluto uninstall cleanup tool after you uninstall Soluto through the "Programs and Features" control panel:

https://support.soluto.com/entries/2...m-a-Desktop-PC

I also recommend getting the uninstall clean up tool for Pokki, too:

Pokki | Uninstalling Pokki

After uninstalling WildTangent through the "Programs and Features" control panel, there are still a lot of items left behind. Reinstall the Wildtangent program, and then uninstall it again in the "Program and Features" control panel. Everything should be gone now. I guess the WildTangent installer Acer used was misconfigured. Scroll down to the last section called "Windows Vista and Windows 7 or 8 Users":

https://wildtangent.zendesk.com/hc/e...stalling-Games
Good luck!

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/54905-cant-sign-standard-user-account.html
Relevancy 99.76%

When I my son signs on it comes back with logging off and logs him off.
I am setup as an administrator and can log on without any problems, my son's account is setup as standard user account with parental controls turn on.
I have deleted his account and created a new one as a standard user, I tried turning off parental controls and I still get the same problem.
The only way around this I have found so far is to make his account an administrator.
Which is not something that I want to keep this way.

Can someone please help me to correct this problem.

Thanks
Andrew

A:standard user account just logs off.

All non-admin accounts result in immediate logoff?

Does that also happen if you boot the machine into safe mode (hold F8 at startup)?

Is anything of interest logged at the time in the system or app event logs (run EVENTVWR afterwards to check)?

Have you installed any additional "parenting" software on that machine?

What worries me a little is the fact that adding a user to the admins group "fixes" this. That would presumably rule out any account-specific configuration settings such as the contents of their Startup folder (they still run the same startup group as admins). You may also wish to run a thorough malware scan, if you haven't already done so.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/221912-standard-user-account-just-logs-off.html
Relevancy 99.76%

I set up four Dell Computers with Windows Home Premium Used my administrative account to install software Microsoft Office Suite User Account 7 Windows in Standard Microsoft Security Essentials Ccleaner and Malawarebytes All programs installed properly As these computers are Standard User Account in Windows 7 going to be used in a public place by junior and senior high school students I thought it would be best to set up a standard user account for each of the four computers I have it set up but when I log in as a standard use non administrative all the programs that were installed are not available Tell me if I m wrong I think the programs would still be listed in program files when the standard user is open Can I go to each of the programs and right click to open and then be prompted to key in my administrative password I would think this should allow the program to be run in the standard user desktop If I m missing something please help I need these four conmputers to function with the programs that I ve installed using my administrative password Thanks in advance for any and all assistance that you might provide

A:Standard User Account in Windows 7

Hello JazzMahn,What you are missing are probably only the Shortcuts on the Start Menu.When you install a program if possible choose the option "Install for All Users" or similar, when the installer ask this it will create the Star Menu entry's for all the users.Now to fix that you should open this path (1)C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs with your account with Administrative privileges,all the shortcuts and folders created on this location will be visible to all the users.At the same time open the Start Menu for you user, to do this open the Start Menu> right click on All Programs and select open It will open a folder with a path similar to this one: (2)C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu open the Programs folderWhat you need to do is copy the shortcuts and folders from path (2) to (1) and they will show when you login using any other account.Hope my instructions are clear to you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/465517/standard-user-account-in-windows-7/
Relevancy 99.76%

When I try to change the account type for ANY of the accounts on my desktop PC from admin to standard, I can no longer login to that particular account unless I make it admin again.

What happens is, after clicking the account the "Welcome" screen appears, then after a short moment, instead of logging me into that account, it returns me back to the account screen, as if nothing ever happened.

I did scans with Malwarebytes and MSE, didn't help. I also tried to repair potentially corrupt system files by typing "sfc /scannow" into Command Prompt. That didn't help either. My laptop has Windows 7 too and doesn't appear to have this problem.

Desktop specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-870 @ 2.93GHz (4 cores, 8 threads)
RAM: 6GB DDR3
GPU: AMD Radeon 5570, 2GB GDDR3

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/standard-user-account-problem.1031462/
Relevancy 99.76%

I want to stop my son from accessing 'my docs'. He has a basic account and I am administrator. How do I do this?

Thanks.

A:Standard User Account Restrictions

You moved your documents outside of your user directory (C:\Users\[username])? Otherwise they would have been protected...unless you altered the permissions of the system.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/137715-standard-user-account-restrictions.html
Relevancy 99.76%

Hi I'm fixing up a computer for someone and I'm considering locking down permissions for non-admin users a little more than just setting the account type to standard quick back story This computer is locked down because the employees forgot the password to the single account I break in via iso and then BitTorrent boots up and starts SEEDING illegal music files I know the owner of the company a user' I How user employees? down lock for 'standard account should Beyond very How should I lock down a user account for employees? Beyond 'standard user' well and I know he doesn't condone the use of his computer and bandwidth for pirating and How should I lock down a user account for employees? Beyond 'standard user' seeding music There's loads of other junk on the computer that in no way benefits the company assisted living housing So I clean it up with Revo CCleaner Malwarebytes etc Then I made a new standard user account and an administrator account I plan to give the admin password to the owner and the standard password to the employees owner My friend suggested that I somehow lock down the account beyond just setting the permissions to standard Do you guys have any recommendations for programs to do this Do you think that just standard permissions will be enough Thanks edit fyi the employees use How should I lock down a user account for employees? Beyond 'standard user' it to view MS Office documents and web browsing Other than that I don't believe their work involves the use of other programs

A:How should I lock down a user account for employees? Beyond 'standard user'

Hello, You didn't mention the OS. You can set up a Software Restriction Policy but it is only available with Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, and Windows 7 Enterprise and XP pro.

http://www.mechbgon.com/srp/

With Windows Home you can use Parental Controls to allow only certain programs.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532706/how-should-i-lock-down-a-user-account-for-employees-beyond-standard-user/
Relevancy 99.76%

According to the windows.microsoft.com website "Your user account prevents anyone who is using a standard account on your computer from seeing your files." My wife and I share our computer: I have an administrator account and she has a standard user account. Yet when she is logged in she can access my documents and read them via File Explorer, though she cannot delete them. This seems to contradict what Microsoft say or am I missing something? Grateful for any advice.

Since writing the above I have found that the same situation exists on the other computer that we share, but in this case she is able to delete the documents as well.

Sorry, everyone, I think I've solved this. I must have set particular sharing permissions and forgotten I'd done so.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/66310-standard-account-users-access-other-users-files.html
Relevancy 99.76%

I ran into a problem and hope someone can help me.

My desktop is a Dell (3 month old) and runs Vista Home Premium(64bits), I set up an account for my son as a standard user, however, I noticed that his account was automatically changed to Administrator. Each time when I reset it back to Standard, it always changed back the next time (a few hours later or the next day) I checked it. I wanted to set up parent control on his account, but it won't work as one cannot set up parent control on an Administrator account. Does it mean my computer is virus infected? What should I do?

I have COMODO firewall and Avira anti virus (free version) installed on my machine.

Thanks in advance.
Ian

A:Vistal account problem: standard accounts automatically be promoted to Administrator

No way your son is changing it?

What I would do, delete your Son's user account and restart the PC, login to your Admin account and create another limited account for your son, restart the PC again, see if that one changes also.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vistal-account-problem-standard-accounts-automatically-be-promoted-to-administrator.892339/
Relevancy 99.33%

Hello All I'm delighted No to accounts change /Cannot Admin admin user account existing Access to have found you and after a long day of trying to help myself i am now requiring your much appreciated assistance please I'm not a techy person at all and am hoping someone can help Last week my husband purchased a new hp laptop which No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account came with Windows On setup i used my No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account microsoft account to login with a pin the account was setup as administrator No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account thinking i could change things later About days later i added a standard user account for my husband with a microsoft account login with pin I wanted to make his the administrator account but thought i had better change mine to a standard account first My mistake Now i cannot change anything i have tried to use the cmd prompt to run as administrator - it asks for administrator permission and does not allow me to enter a password or yes I have tried all suggestions to enable the hidden windows account but all ask for the same permission I have tried to go to setup recovery troubleshoot advanced option system restore - it requests an administrator password and when i entered what i thought is mine it does not work Feeling a little Does anybody know anyway i can go back in time to start again or how do i access administrator rights as i really need to add programs etc Thank you for any help given

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/61945-no-admin-access-cannot-change-existing-user-accounts-admin-account.html
Relevancy 98.9%

I'm trying to install Dropbox. When I double-click the installer file, I get a pop-up like this:
No matter which option I select, or which of the 3 account credentials I use (All administrator accounts) I get the following:
This happens with other software as well. Why would it be asking for credentials at all when I'm using an administrator account? And why can I not seem to provide administrator rights?

PS: Here's the SysInfo stuff:

Code:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2010 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 45 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1), 781 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 101196 MB, Free - 9419 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0G848F
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

Relevancy 98.9%

I am running Windows 7 Pro. The last couple of pieces of software that I've tried to intall, over the last couple of days, have produced a 1303 error (insufficient authority to change start menu). The usual advice that I can find says to right click on the program and then choose Run as Administrator. The problem is, that's not an option I get when I right click.

I was twiddling with various settings a last week and probably changed something that I shouldn't have. I am the only user on the computer, my account supposedly has administrative privledges. I've read about how to enable the "real" administrator account, but it seems more likely that I changed something regarding permissions in my usual account to cause this and I'd rather change it back. What obscure settings might result in loosing the Run as Administrator option and preventing software installation.

Thanks!

JulietS

A:No Run as Administrator option on an admin account

Read this tutorial and see if it helps any...
User Account Control - UAC - Change Notification Settings

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/114225-no-run-administrator-option-admin-account.html
Relevancy 98.47%

Hello
I have my system all setup the way I like it. All security software etc... setup. I assume it would be a good idea to change the account to standard user for some extra security. So, should I simply create a new admin account then change my current admin over to standard user? Will I encounter any problems using software after the change? If I do have issues can I solve them by switching he account back to admin level? Thanks for your help

A:Can I convert my administrators account to standard user?

Before you change your current admin account over to standard. Just a little tip disable UAC.

Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings > Set the toggle to the bottom one.

Just incase you've installed programs that still require a security warning.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/311660-can-i-convert-my-administrators-account-standard-user.html
Relevancy 98.47%

Hell Tech guys,
I made a partition on my laptop, Compaq, hp, run with windows 7,
One partition for the kids to play games, I tried to download some software, even Skype unfortunately not willing to accept, I downloaded it on the Admin account, then put in drive D, and tried to install it from there, as well still rejecting to complete the installation process, how to solve this please?

your prompt reply will be highly appreciated,
Kind regards,

A:How to download software on other user standard account?

Can you possibly explain a little more clearly? Are you trying to run programs from a standard acct?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-download-software-on-other-user-standard-account.1160923/
Relevancy 98.47%

I'm running 8.1 on a laptop and a desktop. I have admin accounts setup on both, associated with my primary windows/live/outlook/ whatever-they're-calling-it this week account. I've set up Standard User Accounts on each machine associated with an alias. I can log-in to outlook from either account with the same password, but I can't log-in to either machine using the Standard User Account with that password. Any help getting this setup working would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/36392-standard-user-account-password-problem.html
Relevancy 98.47%

At my workplaced I've been tasked to setup a new server Windows R and install and configure all its services I use Remote Desktop to login using my normal domain account from user standard a a Reboot server account which has standard user permissions on Reboot a server from a standard user account that server I also have been provided with another account that has Reboot a server from a standard user account administrator access there which I use to satisfy UAC prompts So far so good Now my small problem At some point the multiple installers I ran request a reboot But the typical Reboot a server from a standard user account start menu or the quot close Windows quot dialog as I was running as standard user neither show the quot reboot quot or quot shutdown quot options which I need This seems logical as I don't have permission by default only gives admins shutdown permissions contrary to that gives all users that access My lame workaround was to open an elevated command prompt hence gaining the required permission and issue a shutdown command That worked and the server rebooted as it should but I would like a more serious option to do it specifically that the normal shut down dialog to display the missing options asking for elevation when needed Any ideas Thanks

A:Reboot a server from a standard user account

It's actually a restriction of Remote Desktop, not Administrator vs non-Administrator. I don't know of any work around other than using the shutdown command as you did.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/351669-reboot-server-standard-user-account.html
Relevancy 98.47%

Hello All, I have set up a standard user account on my Son's laptop, but there are software programs I would like him to have access to, without me having to log on with Administrator ever time.

When he try's to run said program it says Parental Controls has blocked this program the Administrator can grant access. I don't have any programs blocked under Parental Controls. Is there a way to grant access to certain programs without having to log in as administrator every time while using a standard user account?

Thanks

A:Standard User Account Program Access

Have you tries using Parental Controls to allow them to use the program(s)?

Parental Controls - Allow or Block Specific Programs

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/178124-standard-user-account-program-access.html
Relevancy 98.47%

Hello, I've discovered a really annoying problem in Vista and it is bugging the [bleep] out of me, I can only get the @ symbol to display while using an administrators account, if I log into a standard user account the @ symbol displays as " , I cannot get the @ symbol to display in anything: web forms, notebook, Open Office, nothing. Can anyone tell me why this crazy situation exists?

A:@ symbol will not display under a standard user account

Does a Guest account allow you to go to Control Panel to alter the keyboard to English (UK)?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/symbol-will-not-display-under-a-standard-user-account.973817/
Relevancy 98.47%

I have heard that it is safer to be logged on only on a limited/standard account rather than an administrator when logging on to the Internet.
Is this true?
I am the main user here on a home computer Ė My grandchildren have access on a limited account.
I am the only administrator and my user account is as administrator.
Would I have to turn my present main user account (where all my documents are stored and which I use for everything on a daily basis ) into a limited/standard account and create a second user account with administrator rights and switch to the second ( administrator ) account when I want to download something or change settings?

A:Use of Limited / Standard User Account for Security

Yes, it is more secure to run your computer daily with a limited user account. Attackers take advantage of coding flaws in Windows and try to install malware when you chance upon their websites. If you are running as a limited user, some of these installs will fail, because only administrator accounts can make system changes.

You will have to create a second administrative account first and then demote your present account to limited user.

You don't have to use the admin account to do downloading. You only have to use it if you are installing a program. I normally download applications to the Public/Downloads folder ( on Vista, or a subfolder of All Users on XP )

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/use-of-limited-standard-user-account-for-security.795574/
Relevancy 98.47%

hi here is my dilemma... i installed hulu desktop from an administrator account that i created. i am trying to run it from a standard user account.

the application was installed in c:/users/(admin account name)/appdata/local/ i cannot access the folder to run it from the standard user account.

i've already tried allowing access to the standard user account using the security tab but i can't run hulu from a standard user account.

A:Running programs from standard user account

Quote: Originally Posted by windows7noob

hi here is my dilemma... i installed hulu desktop from an administrator account that i created. i am trying to run it from a standard user account.

the application was installed in c:/users/(admin account name)/appdata/local/ i cannot access the folder to run it from the standard user account.

i've already tried allowing access to the standard user account using the security tab but i can't run hulu from a standard user account.

run as admin. instructions here Elevated Command Prompt Shortcut

Ken J

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/38469-running-programs-standard-user-account.html