Windows Support Forum

Monitor is too dark, looking for replacement light

Q: Monitor is too dark, looking for replacement light

I currently have this monitor http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E amp Tpk wb It doesn t say what the backlight is is light for looking replacement Monitor dark, too but I m pretty sure it is a CCFL My monitor is too dark I replaced a quot monitor with a cd m that was brighter than this and it is listed as cd m When I got the monitor I needed a replacement and didn t bother sending it back Now it is too late for that I would like to know if I can replace the back light If so where can I get one I ve done a fair bit of googling and have not found anything I don t really know how to search for this kind of thing I would like to note that I very much enjoy this monitor and the pros out weight the cons by an order of magnitude I Monitor is too dark, looking for replacement light would Monitor is too dark, looking for replacement light buy this monitor again even if it really is dark It has NO DITHERING even with very close shades over a large area The ms response time isn t noticeable I think that this is measured in a full black-to-white instead of the more popular gtg anyway any help is much appreciated even if the answer is quot no that s not possible quot nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Monitor is too dark, looking for replacement light

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Monitor is too dark, looking for replacement light

Although it's not something I've ever attempted myself it looks as though it can be done. Found this link as a possible source for the lamp itself and it appears there is a link for instructions. Didn't track it to your specific monitor and don't know if these guys are reliable but maybe it's a good place to start.

http://www.lcdparts.net/adword/nettCCFL.aspx

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-is-too-dark-looking-for-replacement-light.162844/
Relevancy 72.24%

hows it going everyone just want to start out by saying I m a newbie when it comes to computers so i really hoping I m at the right spot my laptop died on me recently so i hopped back on my desktop and it was acting really weird it would get some blue pixel lines going any where from half an inch to a few inches long through the screen and it would get to the point where i would freeze and restart blue screen or anything that was open would flash a bunch of random colors or wouldn t let me access anything on it or it would say something like this program has been disable then freeze i use every program out there from spy bot spy doc melware bytes to combo fix and i ran them all in till they all said my pc was clean but the problem keep happening i was only able to use my comp in safe made monitor on blue and light blue lines pixel my dark when i was in safe mode i didn t see a single dark light blue pixel lines which was really nice dark blue and light blue pixel lines on my monitor then my buddy gave me an extra copy of windows so i reformatted and sadly the lines are still there but its not freezing or glitching out like it did and windows is up to date and I m stumped i don t know if its a video card problem or a super virus HELP ME PLEASE i might have screwed up on the reformatting because i seen a few programs on my comp still from before like mirc and perfect world on it so i just might reformat it again if we cant figure out the problem Thanks Mike

A:dark blue and light blue pixel lines on my monitor

Hello,I will be helping you with your problems. Please be patient while I assist you.Some points for you to keep in mind while I am helping you to make things go easier and faster for both of us Please do NOT run any tools unless instructed to do so.
We ask you to run different tools in a specific order to ensure the malware is completely removed from your machine, and running any additional tools may detect false positives, interfere with our tools, or cause unforeseen damage or system instability. Please do not attach logs or use code boxes, just copy and paste the text.
Due to the high volume of logs we receive it helps to receive everything in the same format, and code boxes make the logs very difficult to read. Also, attachments require us to download and open the reports when it is easier to just read the reports in your post. Please read every post completely before doing anything.
Pay special attention to the NOTE: lines, these entries identify an individual issue or important step in the cleanup process. Please provide feedback about your experience as we go.
A short statement describing how the computer is working helps us understand where to go next, for example: I am still getting redirected, the computer is running normally, etc. Please do not describe the computer as "the same", this requires the extra step of looking back at your previous post.NOTE: At the top of your post, click on the Watch Topic Button, select Immediate Notification, and click on Proceed. This will send you an e-mail as soon as I reply to your topic, allowing us to resolve the issue faster.NOTE: Backup any files that cannot be replaced. Removing malware can be unpredictable and this step can save a lot of hartaches if things don't go as planed. You can put them on a CD/DVD, external drive or a pen drive, anywhere except on the computer.NOTE: It is good practice to copy and paste the instructions into notepad and print them in case it is necessary for you to go offline during the cleanup process. To open notepad, navigate to Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad. Please remember to copy the entire post so you do not miss any instructions.----------------------------------------------Please do the following:Step 1Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe on your desktop to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it. To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.Click on change parametersCheck the boxes next to Verify file digital signatures and Detect TDLFS file system, then click OK.Click the Start Scan button.Do not use the computer during the scanIf the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
Note: If Cure is not an option, Skip instead, do NOT choose Delete or Quarantine unless instructed.A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.Step 2Download Security Check by screen317 from here.Save it to your Desktop.Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.Step 3Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with t... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/459026/dark-blue-and-light-blue-pixel-lines-on-my-monitor/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hello guys,

i have one simple problem and would like if somebody can help me.
Yesterday i bought new grafic card geforce GT440 after my old 9800 GT stoped functioning normaly(memory failure).
So here is the problem, when I start any program or do anything the computer the computer is functioning normally, but when I turn to desktop(which has black wallpaper) the monitor goes so dark that I can't see almost nothing. I tryed to find some power saving options in windows(win 7 pro, 64 bit) and on envidia control panel but i cannot find any cause for that dark screen. Even if I load a black page on my mozilla the monitor goes dark. As it cannot represent dark colors normally. Thanks in andvance for Your help.

Greetings from Croatia,
Martin K?nig

A:Dark monitor geforce GT440(after going to desktop with dark wallpaper)

First update your driver by choosing the correct model HERE.....

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/202700-dark-monitor-geforce-gt440-after-going-desktop-dark-wallpaper.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi,
My pioneer DVD ROM drive has developed a light & dark flicker when playing DVD movies. Could it be that a simple lens cleaner could solve the problem?
Thanks for your advice.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/light-dark-flicker-on-dvd.348174/
Relevancy 62.35%

By default, the Settings UI is set to a Lighter shade of grey, but using a 3rd party tool or editing the Windows Registry yourself, the Settings UI can be set to to Darker shade of grey.

Light vs Dark UI (ie. Settings)

Graphical User Interface;
what's your preferred style and a reason as to why?

Ease of Use;
what's easier to view in day and low-light conditions?
which is better to navigate around?
does any coloured fonts clash between the themes?

Microsoft Edge Theme
- In Windows 10, users can switch between a Light and Dark UI without needing to edit the registry. You can mention if you use Dark with Dark, Light with Dark and or vice versa. Other browsers, do you use a dark theme or default (lighter) theme?

Added a Poll for those wanting to Vote only.

A:Windows 10: Dark vs Light (Poll)

I prefer dark themes across the board, including MT's dark theme. I just seem to see everything better in all kinds of light. I am colorblind and not sure if it has anything to do with this, colored texts to me can get lost on a light backround, while on a dark backround the contrast is just better for me.

https://malwaretips.com/threads/windows-10-dark-vs-light-poll.60473/
Relevancy 62.35%

Ok, over the past few months my DSL line light starts blinking every couple of minutes for about 20 seconds. This is extremely annoying. We thought it was the DSL Filter going bad again, as replacing it fixed the problem when it did this a year or two ago. We replaced all filters and we still have the problem.

However, I've noticed its totally fine during the day, but when it gets dark it starts happening.

I read somewhere motion sensing lights can cause this, we've had motion sensing lights since the summer and this only started a few months ago. We turned off the lights and the problem persists.

I'm guessing a neighbour has gotten some new lights that affect DSL internet, but I have no idea how to find out who it is and how to get it to stop.

Any suggestions would be great.

Relevancy 61.92%

Hi,

I encountered another problem from my HP laptop and this time it is dark screen. As soon as I turn my laptop on within 2 seconds my screen goes very dark, however it is still performing its normal functions but with only 5% brightness which is very dark for naked eyes,. but when I try to connect it thru my TV it all work fine. Also if I close the lid and open at once my laptop screen became normal but soon goes dark in 2 seconds. I don't think the problem is backlight coz it seems normal for 2 seconds every time i close the lid and reopen it. please help!

Sorry for the heading: HP Laptop screen goes very dark

A:Laptop sceethe light n vent very dark

It sounds like it could be the inverter. The inverter is a small board, usually in the lower part of the screen. Its job is to convert the DC voltage to a much higher voltage needed by the fluorescent bulb in the LCD.

It is easy to access once you have the bezel off of the screen, and can be purchased for anywhere from $20(US) to $45(US) on average.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-sceethe-light-n-vent-very-dark.976828/
Relevancy 61.92%

Aight im stumped on this one so figured i'd turn to a new place for answers....basically when i boot up Vista after it says preparing ur desktop i see that nice lil fade screen then i just see almost black shapes, mostly triangles. When i boot into safe mode that works no problems. I have been lookin around and actually found 1 or 2 other posts of the same problem where the people had simliar video cards to me....Mine is a Visiontek Radeon x1300 with 512mb....anyone got any ideas????

Relevancy 60.63%

Friends, I am having a strange problem with my Dell N5110. Its light automatically dims when Dark scenes come during a movie. Even when I open some picture that has dark colors of when I browse to some webpage having more dark colors the light goes dim. Otherwise the brightness is very good.

A:Dell N5110 LCD light Dims when dark scenes In a Movie?

I think the issue has been solved. I dont know how I did it. I updated the drivers and changed some settings in power options in control panel. I changed the dim brightness to 100 some other mess up. For now it has solved the problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/288560-dell-n5110-lcd-light-dims-when-dark-scenes-movie.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I have an ASUS essentio and the power indicator light broke. Where can I find a decent replacement?

It was connected through a 4 pin molex.

Thanks!

A:Where can I find a replacement power light?

Quote: Originally Posted by Megaman0

I have an ASUS essentio and the power indicator light broke. Where can I find a decent replacement?

It was connected through a 4 pin molex.

Thanks!

sorry I cant help but have you done a google for that.?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/107643-where-can-i-find-replacement-power-light.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I have an AOC 27" LCD. Its worked perfectly until this week. When I'm gaming and go into an area or room where the ambient light is low the image will go almost black. If I back out of the area it goes back to normal. When I'm playing a DVD and a night scene comes up the screen goes black. When I start up or shut down the PC, the screen image is so dim I can't see the POST screen or Windows shutdown. Picture goes normal at the desktop. I use an HDMI cable and switched to DVI and VGA with same results. It also acts the same when connected to 2 different computers. Thanks

A:Monitor keeps going dark

Had the same problem with mine. Check your monitors settings . Some eco settings. make sure their not on.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-keeps-going-dark.202414/
Relevancy 54.61%

When I view jpegs and other picture files, they're much darker than on other people's computers. I'm almost positive my monitor is fine, and I know I have its brightness settings up to the maximum. Is there a setting in Windows somewhere that I'm missing? Running Windows XP on a P3, 733mhz.

Thanks,
Dan

A:Monitor too dark?

It probably is the monitor, I'd try it on another system, or another monitor on yours, that will narrow it down for you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/monitor-too-dark.270439/
Relevancy 54.61%

Dell monitor seems to go dark for a few seconds then comes back. System does not freeze.

When it goes dark, the monitor is not going into standby, power light is still green.

I have replaced the graphics card and same issue.

I switched monitors with another, and same issue.

Only recent change other than new graphics card is new HD and OS, but not sure if issue was before or after.

Any help would be appreciated.

A:Monitor Goes Dark

Any pattern to it at all. Are you actively using it or is it just sitting idle when it happens

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/monitor-goes-dark.979030/
Relevancy 54.61%

Windows XP 2
40 GB Mem, 702 MB RAM

I recently was looking at some of my pictures I had Photoshopped to adjust for brightness/contrast/other, and posted online, and they appeared to be washed out. Later on, I looked at the photos on my computer, and they appeared more or less perfect. I tried this on other computers, and the same effect happens. I think my monitor is too dark.

It is a MAG Innovision monitor, and Brightness and Contrast are turned up to 100%, but the problem persists. Any ideas?

A:monitor seems to be too dark

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. The monitor is the same whether you are viewing pictures online or from a local directory in your computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/monitor-seems-to-be-too-dark.447443/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi,
I have a flat screen LCD monitor which goes dark after about 1 second of being on. By dark, I don't mean entirely black. If you look very closely, you can still barely make out stuff. When I switch it with my other monitor, the monitor still has the problem, so I don't think it is an issue with the connection to the computer.

Here is a video that shows it: http://peter.d.reid.googlepages.com/monitor.MOV (save target as). In that, I unplug and replug it, and it goes on briefly. You can't really see it in the video, but it's not entirely black except for when it's unplugged.

Thanks for any help.

Relevancy 54.61%

My 17" CompUSA monitor turned dark, but not blurry. If it was a gradual process I didn't notice(?!) I thought it was the monitor, but I then hooked up a well working monitor and it went haywire (dark and lined like a tv with poor reception). I moved the once good monitor back to its home and after a couple of minutes it restored to its beautiful self.

But I'm still stuck was a dark monitor on my computer. The brightness adjustment is as high as I can set it.

What could be the problem? I've looked at the threads but it doesn't exactly address my situation.

Thank You!

Relevancy 54.61%

Hello. I have a new gateway monitor(FPD1830) that has gone dark, barely able to read the screen. I leave my computer on overnite and one morning it was dark. I have tried changing the brightness, contrast, resolution and color quality. I have found that when i press the 'auto' button on the monitor screen it goes into 'auto configuration' and looks normal but then back to dark. Thanks for any help! :knock:

A:New Monitor Gone Dark

MichA427 said:

Hello. I have a new gateway monitor(FPD1830) that has gone dark, barely able to read the screen. I leave my computer on overnite and one morning it was dark. I have tried changing the brightness, contrast, resolution and color quality. I have found that when i press the 'auto' button on the monitor screen it goes into 'auto configuration' and looks normal but then back to dark. Thanks for any help! :knock: Click to expand...

More likely than not the inverter is going dead. Click here for examples of parts and equivalents.

Call GATEWAY for an RMA. When you do get the replacement, make sure to leave it on for burning-in, a well design inverter should last forever or for as long as the monitor lasts, even if it had to drive 6 flourescent tubes.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-monitor-gone-dark.19207/
Relevancy 54.61%

Often in the middle of using the computer, when things are going smoothly, the screen will suddenly go blank, and the green light that indicates the monitor is on, will go from green to amber which indicates sleep mode. However none of the usual methods will wake it up ( pressing any key or shaking the mouse). We have to turn the unit off manually and then often turn it on and off 2 -3 times before the keyboard will also function again so that we can either boot it up with F8 in safe mode, or else the screen will come to life and Windows will just open correctly. What do these symptoms sound like? At first we thought it was the monitor, but just don't know. It has been happening at least 2 times a week. Help!!

A:monitor goes dark

Did you try another monitor?"So won?t you give this man his wingsWhat a shameTo have to beg you to seeWe?re not all the sameWhat a shame" - Shinedown

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-2000/monitor-goes-dark/65658.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Not sure what the deal is, but I thought I would check to see if anyone had any ideas on this.

I have an Envision monitor EN-770e. As far as I know, the display adapter is RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro.

The brightness is set all the way up, but it is so dark compared to monitors at work or school. I've tried playing with the contrast, but to no avail either.

I don't find any updated drivers for that specific display adapter. Any suggestions aside from getting a new monitor?

A:Monitor is Too Dark

hi...

go into Display Properties .... then Advanced, ... If the software for your video card is installed, there might be additional settings in there.

also.. if this is a new problem, then make sure your cable is securely tightened at both ends. if you wiggle the cable, does the brightness change?

good luck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/monitor-is-too-dark.548567/
Relevancy 54.61%

My monitor has gotten very dark and don't know how lighten it back up. It is a HP Laptop Model ze 4610 us with XP operating system.

A:Dark Monitor

Hi and welcome to TSG

Try FN + f1 key - should brighten the screen FN + f2 should make it darker.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dark-monitor.535448/
Relevancy 54.61%

I have an ASUS 20" monitor.

When I turn it on I get the splash screen and the start of the post test. The monitor then goes black and will pop back every so often. I can turn off the monitor and back on and I will get a picture for about a second.

One thing I have found, If my light is off next to my monitor it looks completely black. If I have the light on, I can see my right side of my desktop very dimly.

It must be the lighting for the screen that is going out.

Anybody know if I would be able to fix this?

Thanks for any responses.

Joe

Relevancy 54.61%

Hi, I took out the video card to get the name off of it for driver download and put it back in. Now when I turn on the computer the monitor is dark. I've tried to reseat the cars several times and still no video. any suggestions!! Could it be the video card went bad. It's a windows 98 system.

Thanks
Larry

Relevancy 54.61%

Hey guys, Started my comp this morning and it was completely black. If i put my face close enough to the monitor I could faintly see the tool bar at the bottom. Im on a Dell Inspiron 8000 Laptop. Anyway, I look at the keys on the keyboard and hit the "Fn" button along with the Up arrow key and it brought the monitor back to where its visable and useable. However Its still real dark and kinda flickers a bit sometimes.

Any advice?

A:Dark Monitor

Did you try to hook up to a monitor.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dark-monitor.655802/
Relevancy 54.61%

I have several monitors and they have a dark screen. I adjusted the brightness but its not as bright as it should be. I can see everything ok but its very dim. I heard this might be due to nicotine build up so I tried cleaning one with alcohol, clorox, and scrubbing bubbles but it didn't help.

Relevancy 54.61%

I have a fpd gateway lcd dark Monitor monitor it has a pin DFP connector I just purchased a Dell system The monitor was always working fine so I bought Monitor dark a video card that has a DVI amp VGA connector and then purchased a DFP to DVI adapter After placing the video card in the dell and setting the video bios to auto it all worked great Everything continued to work fine for a couple of days Now the monitor is dark If I look closely at the monitor I can barely see Windows XP I hooked another LCD to the vga side of the installed video card and it worked fine I reconnected the Gateway monitor and it is very very dark Any ideas as Monitor dark to why this monitor may be dark Could it be possible that it just died But it would be unusual for it to go all dark Monitor dark like this no I also tried adjusting the brightness and contrast and have them all the way up but no difference Any help appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Monitor dark

Check the pins on the Gateway monitor. Make sure they aren't bent or anything.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/monitor-dark.215405/
Relevancy 54.61%

My monitor has been fairly dark for some time. I even just upgraded with almost entirly new parts, and it's still the same. My Gamma and Contrast are all the way up, and I can still hardly see darker images. Is there anything I can do about this? Thanks for any help.

Relevancy 54.18%

I have two led monitors, i don't think either have really been used that much, a maximum of 4months each i think. But when i switched to a different one[ also around 4 months old I THINK] i noticed that there was a huge area in the middle of the screen that appears greyish on white backgrounds, it is very noticeable on lighter images but not at all on dark, it looks like a patch of greyish/almost blue. So i switched to my other monitor and upon inspection i noticed this one has it too! this one has the greyish area on the right hand side. I've attached an image of what they appear like when on a fully white screen.
http://puu.sh/i39p1/dd18e2866b.jpg

A:LED monitor dark patches.

i have the same thing on my tv, and the last tv i had also. i believe it is a bad area of the tv, probably the same thing with your monitors. a quick search called it mura effect and one article says that you can lay it flat and remove all the screws and leave it laying flat for 2 days, then tighten the screws a little, but not too much. other than that, time for a new panel. i have done lots of tv repairs and it is relatively easy, but may cost more than a new monitor. laptops get them from too much pressure when opening the lid. not sure what would cause them on a regular monitor, one site mentioned bad pixels or burn in, but that sounds wrong to me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/led-monitor-dark-patches.1148932/
Relevancy 54.18%

I have inherited a NEC Versa SXi with a dark monitor. If you shine a lite on it you can see what is on the monitor. Is this fixable and is it worth fixing?

A:Dark Monitor on a laptop

Fixable, yes. It likely needs a new back light or the invertor. Is it worth it, not really.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dark-monitor-on-a-laptop.489397/
Relevancy 54.18%

My monitor intermittently has a dark triangle covering the lower left quadrant. It does not go completely black, and you can still see the display within the dark triangle, but it is very annoying.  Sometimes it will go away by turning the monitor off and back on again, and other times it won't go away unless I reboot. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/HP-monitor-dark-in-one-corner/td-p/5701512
Relevancy 54.18%

I usually leave my monitor on 24/7, but have recently noticed that after leaving it off for an hour or so and turning it back on the display is darker on the top right side. I also noticed that after the monitor warms up everything seems to go back to normal once I turn it off then on again. This issue happened a year back as well but I didn't pay it any mind thinking it could possibly be something else. I can turn the monitor off and on over and over and the screen is fine with no darkening, but if I leave it off for an hour and turn it on the screen is sometimes dark. Any suggestions as to what I should do about it?

A:LG LED monitor ocassionally dark

Monitors aren't made to be turned on and off repeatedly - leave them in standby mode.

Almost sounds like something's screwed with the backlight. Hard to tell without a photo.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lg-led-monitor-ocassionally-dark.205395/
Relevancy 54.18%

My HP monitor intermittently goes dark in one corner.  One of the HP support people responded to my earlier post on this forum, but his suggestions did not solve the issue.  Can anyone else help? 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/HP-Monitor-is-dark-in-one-corner/td-p/5767238
Relevancy 54.18%

Have an older Dell laptop
monitor will go dark every 30 seconds upto 5 mins
only way to get it back is by closing the lid and opening it
can still faintly see the display when it does this
Is there a fix for the back light of the lcd panel ? (i'm assuming that's what it is )
does something need to be replaced and if so, whre would it be located physically....

A:laptop monitor going dark

bumpity bump !!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-monitor-going-dark.780077/
Relevancy 54.18%

Ok. Here at work I have dual monitors set up and I never had any problems but started up a couple weeks ago. I checked the Drivers and they are working properly. I've tested the connections from the monitor to the computer and all fine. But my screen with randomly black out then turn back on. Sometimes it just flickers a couple seconds back and forth. I've researched this topic and I just can't seem to find a solution. I've thought that maybe there's something up with a BIOS setting, but I don't think that'd be a problem, except maybe if I had a 3rd monitor. But its really annoying, not really disturbing anything. Just very annoying. Any advice or ideas?

A:Monitor goes dark then comes back on

Just use process of elimination.

Look through event logs to see if graphics drivers crashed. Use one monitor. Try another monitor. Try another cable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-goes-dark-then-comes-back-on.194896/
Relevancy 54.18%

I turned my back on my computer for about minutes yesterday and when I looked back poof the monitor was noticibly darker and there were light streaks horizontally across it where ever there was a change in color such as where text or a picture is I have tried the following to and has is 'streaks' Monitor *help* dark try to correct it and nothing has worked reinstalled video drivers messed with monitor settings defragged not sure why that would help but I thought it was worth a try played around with the monitor connections degaussed I even eventually reformatted and did a clean install of OS win k again not sure why this might help but like I said I was desperate I also hooked my monitor up to my other comp to make sure it wasnt a hardware prob and it worked perfectly I pulled my vid card out nvidia geForce and blew it off the fan was completely packed with dust Monitor has 'streaks' and is dark *help* so this made me suspect a possible video card failure though when I run games the video card seems to work fine except for the fact that the screen is darker and the streaks are still there I dont know a whole lot about hardware is it possible to have a partial video card failure - I alwayse just assumed that when they broke they completely broke any ideas suggestions or knowledge is greatly appreciated thanks for your time nbsp

A:Monitor has 'streaks' and is dark *help*

At first it seemed to be a hardware failure, but as you said you tested the monitor with another PC and worked OK, this is discarded. Yes, sometimes it's possible to have a "partial" hardware failure. Even if these cards have only one chip (apart of RAM chips), in its interior has many blocks, so it's possible that the video processor itself might be ok and any other block (like the DAC) *almost* out of order. So, better be grabbing some bucks to get a new card.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/monitor-has-streaks-and-is-dark-help.52613/
Relevancy 54.18%

Not sure if anyone here can help with this. I have an IMB Thinkpad 600. I'm not very technically savvy, so I have no idea how to solve this problem. Lately, if I'm away from my computer for a bit, instead of going to screen saver, the screen will just go dark, and I cannot get it to light back up again. Moving the mouse, hitting any keys, do nothing. When I say it goes dark, I mean it goes black, as if its going to screen saver mode, but it will not come back on again. Sometimes I can get it to light back up by hitting F7, tho it's never been set for another display.
Anyone have any suggestions or ideas why this may be happening?

A:monitor screen goes dark

Blackness

go to control panel and make sure screensaver and hibernate mode is off.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-screen-goes-dark.39454/
Relevancy 54.18%

hi, my lcd monitor has turned dark all of a sudden.
but the loading page is fine and so is the cursor,
as soon as the log in page comes up it turns dark.

could it be a virus or the monitor?

please help

A:Monitor Has Turned Dark

Well from what you described if you can see the monitor with pages showing normally right from startup to a certain point I would say the monitor is probably OK = Alright. Since you see a cursor it means that the Windows system is trying to load and is stopping at a certain point which is just after the drivers for the mouse are loaded.

I think Windows has taken a dump somewhere and probasbly needs some work. A couple of questions.

I - Does your windows have Service Pack 2 installed and was it installed separately or a part of the Windows Installation?

2 - Do you have a Windows Installation disk or a Recovery disk?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/52214/monitor-has-turned-dark/
Relevancy 54.18%

Not Brightness I literally mean the following I start my computer the lights on my keyboard come on i hear the startup sounds through my computers and dark monitor Notebook is I can hear everything whirring inside However no power seems to be going to the monitor as it remains black I can use the arrows to select my user type in my password and hear the login sound So now everything seems to be running while I get to see none of it Fun note This is an HP Pavilion dv notebook from - and it has the little rubber nub that the screen presses when you close it sending the system into quot standby quot if I press and then release that nub the screen lights up for a split second and I can see my destop with all of my icons so I know the system is actually running Everytime I push that nub even if I rapid fire it on the release the screen lights up for a quarter of half a second Help me use my comp

A:Notebook monitor is dark

Anyone? Over 20 views and no help?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/notebook-monitor-is-dark-418232.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Pictures are dark, examples pictures sent in an email or pictures from a web site. I have maxed out the brightness and contrast settings already.

Anyody have any suggestions or maybe monitor is on its way out.

Thanks

A:monitor screen dark

If it`s your monitor then the whole desktop etc will be dark not just pictures.

Either try your monitor on another system or, better still try a different monitor on yours.

Also have you changed your videocard settings?

Regards Howard :grinthumb

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-screen-dark.25034/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hello,

All images appear very dark on my monitor, a Logisys 17" digital color monitor, model no.: LGX710.

I have the feeling it may have something to do with the fact that I run SuSE Linux 9.0 on it, because with 8.1 I did not have this problem.

The monitor I purchased less than a year ago. I tried to adjust brightness, contrast and several other settings, but I have not been able to get it to an acceptable viewing quality. Not long ago, I found out that now I am not even able to see the menu for adjusting the monitor settings anymore.It appears as a black box on my screen.

Has anyone experienced this too?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/images-appear-dark-on-monitor.19238/
Relevancy 54.18%

I kinda know how a tv works, but not sure how monitors are designed....when i bootup the monitor screen has been staying dark(no raster) for longer periods up to many hours...i switched monitors and thought that cured the problem, but this morning the monitor was dark for 15 min as comp. booted....did not show anything till win. loaded...
shut down and rebooted with other hd and all worked okay...

could this be a problem with both old monitors, or vid card or what else???

Is the raster controlled by circuitry in monitor or vid card?...seems like i did turn on one once without being connected to computer and it did have a raster...but when on computer it showed a dark screen ..so, then vid card has some control over raster or brightness???,,

using small hd's with os98 on one and os95 the other...

Hate intermittant problems!!!..need smoke!!!

thanks

Relevancy 54.18%

Hiya All.
I have a Dell pc monitor which is relatively old..The last few days, it has started to shoiw dark and dull images. Of course, I have tried the brightness and contrast controls, but they are on full and still cannot make the vision clearer?
I would appreciate some help please? I am not a techno person, so I would appreciate any advice to realise this.

Alan

Relevancy 54.18%

The monitor that came with my Dell Dimension 2400 in March 04 works fine, but when I play videos (such as newsclips at tv station websites, or YouTube stuff) they are always too dark.

The rest of the screen looks fine. Just the videos and digital photos that I upload are too dark.

Adjusting the controls for screen settings using the front buttons on the monitor affects the rest of the screen, but not the videos or photos.

Help, please.

Relevancy 54.18%

Hi,

I have a Viewsonic Viewpanel VE150B LCD computer monitor that is dark. Not dark as in blacked out, but dark as in you can still see images through the darkness but it is very hard to makeout. When I turn on the monitor it will become clear and bright for only 2 seconds then it will be dark again. I'm thinking it might be a backlight issue, but I don't know.

Thanks in advance,
Christian

A:Computer Monitor is dark

Yep, sure sounds like a backlight issue. Since it lights briefly, I'd suspect the inverter that drives the lamp.

If it's in warranty, ship it back, you don't really want to try to fix this yourself.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-monitor-is-dark.461819/
Relevancy 54.18%

Today my monitor is mostly dark. This problem has been coming and going during the last week or so. Hate to hear I may need a new monitor, since that means new laptop. Got this pc last July and it was one year old then. Any chance there are some fixes to use? Thanks.

Relevancy 54.18%

Hi,

This monitor flashes the picture up for a fraction of a second and then goes so dark you cant use it. You can just about see something but cant read it or use it. Any ideas what to change/ do about this?

Thanks,

rodw

A:Viseo 230 ws Monitor goes very dark

Have you tried it on another PC.....how old is it?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/viseo-230-ws-monitor-goes-very-dark.1028681/
Relevancy 54.18%

This morning, my Dell 17-inch LCD monitor, suddenly and w/o warning went virtually 100% black. I'd originally thought it was completely dead, but when I run its self-test function I can see a very faint image of the self-test box floating around the screen.

Does this sound like an essentially fatal hardware failure (backlight inverter, if I'm reading the Dell support info correctly) or is the faint image an indication that I need to replace the bulb? I've read that that's a heavy duty repair on laptops, but this is a standalone monitor.

Thaks for any help . . .

Relevancy 53.32%

Hi again I m having this annoying problem with my monitor for a long time My monitor has always been dark even when the built in brightness options are maxed so I have always needed to rely on manually adjusting my Video Card brightness and gamma settings Well the annoyance is each time I exit a game that I am playing my Video card color settings reset to Default so I have to repeatadly go into video card options and change my settings ever single time I exit a game Question is Is there a way I can stop get a dark? monitor will my Exiting game, my Video Card ATI Radeon Xt brightness settings from resetting to default every single time I leave a game Are there any easy to use programs that can fix this Is there a setting I m forgetting to check although I looked everywhere in my video card settings that will stop this resetting to default Id really appreciate it if someone has any suggestions This isn t a serious problem but It is extremely annoying since I have to go into my video card display settings about times a day to Exiting a game, my monitor will get dark? reset my color scheme Thx hope someone can help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/exiting-a-game-my-monitor-will-get-dark.325639/
Relevancy 53.32%

This is one I can't figure out in spite of searching Google for answers to others with a similar problem I have a few for Monitor seconds dark goes periodically a ASRock Extreme Gen with an i - k CPU and running Windows of course Monitor goes dark periodically for a few seconds Can't see why I'd want to upgrade to Windows and cause incompatibilities with all my software which runs wonderfully for the most part I'm using a dual monitor Dell quot U and quot widescreen P as a secondary and get occasional blackouts on the primary monitory ONLY - not the secondary We aren't talking every few minutes probably once every few hours sometimes more frequent other times it doesn't appear at all Certainly usable but can be Monitor goes dark periodically for a few seconds very annoying The primary is connected to the Display Adapter with the secondary to the HDMI I have tried to update the motherboard and the display drivers but this behavior continues to persist Wondering if there is something I've missed - I think I have the latest drivers for this mobo which now is almost years old but one of the most rock solid I have ever owned

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/395012-monitor-goes-dark-periodically-few-seconds.html
Relevancy 53.32%

My girlfriend has a comutper that is almost seven years old, and it's beginning to show it's age. It has this problem, I have been trying to rectify, but I am running out of ideas, and it is what I have feared.
First things first, it's OS is Windows 98, and has a pentium 2 I think.
And the problem is that the monitor is dark very dark. It's not the monitor, and it's not the vid card, or so I am told both of thosehave been replaced. SO that leaves me with but one choice. It's the mother board. My question is, is this merely a bad socket on the moter board, or is this a signof a deep rooted problem, with possible expensive implications? Themonitor is very very dark.
some oneplease help!!

A:Help! Crappy old computer! Dark monitor!

I've never heard of a motherboard interefering with the brightness on the monitor...

I figure you've tried to increase the brightness on the monitor, change the contrast, change the colour temperature, and increase the brightness through the driver?

If so, have you tried updating the video card drivers? Some cards can have a very dark colour, but later drivers can have added settings to increase the brightness.

If you could find out what video card it is, and what monitor it is, it'd help us figure out what could be the cause...

:wave: Hello & Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-crappy-old-computer-dark-monitor.17842/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hey all Thanks for the opportunity to seek some insight into an issue I m experiencing I built a new PC about Monitor flickering then 2nd Boot, Very Dark on a month ago BioStar A GU and an AMD Athlon II X CPU Also running Windows I set up two monitors and have them set to extend Everything has been great up until about a few days ago One morning I turned the PC on and my nd display was totally black It was turned on and Windows was detecting it but I couldn t see anything I drug a tab from Firefox over to the monitor and dropped it and the screen started flickering and eventually came on Everything was cool for the next two days A few days later it happened again 2nd Monitor Very Dark on Boot, then flickering This time I could faintly see that the screen was on just very dark because I could see the outlines of the Firefox window I drug over there Now it happens every time I turn the PC on It eventually stats flickering and comes on on it s own and stays on until I shut the PC off again I also can t even see the monitor s menu when I press the menu button on it Does this sound like an issue somewhere in Windows or just a failing monitor It s a bunch of years old and was sitting in my basement for over a year until I built this new PC I m just curious because it 2nd Monitor Very Dark on Boot, then flickering worked fine for weeks after I started using it again Does any of this sound familiar Thanks a lot nbsp

Relevancy 53.32%

Hello. I have an 8 and a half year old PC with XP, and for the past few days, whenever I turn on the monitor after it's been off for a while, the green light on the Power button turns orange and it's dark like it's off, butr when I move the mouse, it stops.

Someone recently adjusted the color on the settings, could it be to do with that? Also, I was wondering if opening up the case and cleaning in there (which I have never done) would help the PC run better and extend its life, or not?

A:PC Monitor Turns Dark When Turned on Sometimes

Hi at 8.1\2 years old you certainly should clean it this will give you some tips for that How to Clean Your PC, Inside and Out | PCWorld
If the settings have been changed then yes it is possible it has made things different there is also the possibility that the graphics are giving out but reset your color and clean it first then get back to use and be safety conscious remove all power and cables from the machine before opening and be sure to touch the unpainted area to discharge any static from you before touching the insides.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/pc-monitor-turns-dark-when-turned-on-sometimes-704595.html
Relevancy 53.32%

okay... My monitor (or the image ON my monitor) is very very dark. Dark enough that some web pages are unreadable, and areas of many games appear just black (even with the in-game brightness cranked all the way up. I have the brightness and contrast adjustments on the monitor cranked all the way up-- and that gets the general brightness/viewability in windows just to an "average" looking screen.

Setting the monitor's brightness and contrast to halfway leaves me with a black screen.

I found an App called the Monitor Calibration Wizard that seems to work, but it would *_seem_* that I should be able to change the brightness in either Windows 98 (sec. ed. with all the patches Mr. Bill has issued), DirectX 8.1, or my video card (GeForce2 MX 400). It's worth noting that the Monitor (ProView 17") was dark with my old video card as well.

H-H-H-E-E-E-L-L-L-P-P-P-P!!!!!!

tanks in advance,

JD

A:Video issue: Monitor is Very, very dark

I don't really think there is anything that you CAN DO.

The monitor is dying. Its already dead, really. In fact, here is a picture of what I think your monitor will be like very soon....

Perhaps, your monitor will come back from the dead as a kind of undead, vengeful monitor that stalks the night....

Sorry to kid, but I think you had better start saving pennies soon... That screen is already dead...

Maybe I am wrong, and someone can suggest something, but I doubt it and I think the only useful thing you can do with the monitor is put it in the bin and buy a new one... There is no reason why a healthy monitor should manifest the symptoms that you are describing, certainly not that I have seen.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-issue-monitor-is-very-very-dark.6599/
Relevancy 53.32%

My flat panel monitor went black ---had been on for a few hours, but have been using it with no problems for a few months. Could it be some backlight that I can replace, or what?

Got this on eBay as a factory refurbished item and did not get a user's manual or warrantee, though of course the seller said there was one, so now I don't know where to turn. Tried to look up the specs on the Compaq support page, but they don't even list this model.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-fp700-monitor-dark.56987/
Relevancy 53.32%

My friend's new Sony laptop has an external monitor connected via HDMI. When he restarts the computer, about half the time the external monitor is not getting a signal, it is blank. He then restarts it until it works. I've only connected remotely to it, and I've been able to get it to go on by playing with the settings in Display properties. Possibly if I was in front of the computer I could try Fn + F5 to see if that works, but he is the kind of guy who does not want to press keys to make it work, he wants it to just work. Any ideas what might be done to make the second monitor get a signal on a more consistent basis?

Thanks

A:External monitor intermittantly dark

Replace the internal pcb inverter board, or it might just be the caps that need replacing. A third possibility is a weak connection (cold solder) at one of the backlights.

Only way to keep it on until it breaks completely is to lower brightness and contrast to 0 or near 0, and don't let Windows turn it off ever.

...or chuck it in the trash.

http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-cards/40362-external-monitor-intermittantly-dark.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Please Help! My family is not able to play online games like WOW or RuneScape due to the background being dark, therefore, we are not able to view the game / images in the game.... this happened after my son did a (alt-tab) between WOW and a background program - when WOW was brought back up the screen darkened..... we have not been able to brighten the monitor screen since that incident and it is becoming a pain since we can no longer view online or computer images probably due to a darkness that over shadows everything.

Relevancy 53.32%

Was working tonight had my computer on everything appeared to be fine. Screen (gateway FPD1730 monitor, Windows XP) went dark. Rebooted screen still stays dark. When you move the mouse the screen will report ?power saving mode?. What is the problem and how do you repair or fix it?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/gateway-fpd-monitor-staying-dark-432166.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello i run with monitors but one of them have consistently had dark spots showing randomly on half of the screen I dont think its the monitors fault because i sent it back when the problem started and got a new one with the same problems This is an old problem since i had given up hope but recently i downloaded new drivers for my graphic card and the monitor worked perfectly for days then back to the same problems I have tried running the monitor alone but the dark spots still appears Some days are better then others and i cant find any pattern why the spots sometimes appear one day they cover half the screen and the next day Dark spots on inconsistent monitor theres a small spot in the corner I got some new hopes after the driver updates so i want to know if there is anything more i inconsistent Dark spots on monitor can do that would help the monitor i run windows the monitor is BENQ EW Any help would be much appreciated atm i cant afford getting inconsistent Dark spots on monitor a new monitor nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/inconsistent-dark-spots-on-monitor.1166234/
Relevancy 52.89%

I have Windows XP; Computer is Dell Dimension 3000, monitor is also dell. I am not a techie by any means; I am a single living on my own and working from home, I got this monitor which I would love to use, but when I turn it on it stays on for about 2 seconds and goes dark. Is there anything I could do to fix this? It must work because when it does come on it is very clear and looks fine, then disappears. I would really appreciate any assistance you might offer as I need help! Thank you so much!

Relevancy 52.89%

Hello, we have a HP Pavilion 23 desktop all-in-one computer. I downloaded Windows 10 but the monitor went very dim, so I've updated the drivers and everything returned to normal but when the computer goes to sleep, the screen returns to dim again. If I restart the computer then the screen returns to normal. Can someone please help? Thank you.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/Monitor-screen-dark-after-updating-to-Windows-10/td-p/5631892
Relevancy 52.89%

Middle monitor just randomly goes dark in the middle of the day.  I've physically swapped the monitors so I know it's not the monitor because it still happens.  Monitor is hooked up via DP and right one is HDMI. ?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-L-R-and-SL-series/Middle-monitor-goes-dark-with-Pro-Dock-and-L460/td-p/3430522
Relevancy 52.89%

What's wrong with my Samsung monitor? It turns off for a few seconds and then turns back on.

A:Solved: Why is my monitor going dark for a few seconds and then turning on?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-why-is-my-monitor-going-dark-for-a-few-seconds-and-then-turning-on.1065692/
Relevancy 52.89%

How do I restore monitor when I cant see anything on the screen?

A:Changed Desktop Settings, Now Monitor To Dark To See Anything

boot into safe mode

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changed-desktop-settings-now-monitor-to-dark-to-see-anything.158602/
Relevancy 52.89%

Gateway computer with Gateway quot LCD monitor floppy, Insert goes dark? monitor [SOLVED] with W on it Running x NVidia TNT video card with DVI connection only st Problem - monitor went black Gateway support says quot monitor is dead quot after doing some tests Tests included running self-test on monitor reseating [SOLVED] Insert floppy, monitor goes dark? the video card and various reboots Solution - replaced with new Sony LCD monitor using DVI cable This new monitor has both a DVI and a VGA [SOLVED] Insert floppy, monitor goes dark? port on it and you must select the right one to get it to work After a little reading got it right declared victory nd Problem - I was just typing an email and the monitor goes blank The only way to get it back on was to do a cold power off reboot And it seems it resets the monitor s port selection when powered off so that had to be set again rd Problem - I wanted to backup some files so I put a floppy disk in the drive and the durn monitor goes black immediately Once again a cold power off reboot was required Assumption on my part on the nd problem is quot power management quot so I turned it all off But I need [SOLVED] Insert floppy, monitor goes dark? to use the floppy drive to back up my files How can this floppy drive do anything to my monitor Sue Sloan nbsp

A:[SOLVED] Insert floppy, monitor goes dark?

Have you tried using the floppy drive again?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-insert-floppy-monitor-goes-dark.169938/
Relevancy 52.89%

I was surfing this morning on my main computer when the screen goes dark

i rebooted but nothing shows on the screen

any ideas?

many thanks

A:I was surfing and monitor went dark, might have a bug, advice needed

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-was-surfing-and-monitor-went-dark-might-have-a-bug-advice-needed.503356/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi all
Monitor shows windows start screen then goes dark I can see the images if i hold a light to the screen. so the monitor is on, just very dark.
I have a two monitor set up and the main monitor works fine. when I switch the trouble monitor to primary it acts the same as it did as a secondary, and the monitor that is working fine still works as a secondary.
Thanks for the help
rj

A:Monitor is very dark, shows windows start up

Sounds like the monitor itself is bad.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-is-very-dark-shows-windows-start-up.106547/
Relevancy 52.89%

I got a used dell monitor e153fpt touch screen and when i turn it on it goes dark in about a second or two my old monitor works fine but i wanted a touch screen. The hertz is set on my computer for 60hz witch is what the back says it should be set at. Can anyone help.

A:Dell Monitor E153FPT GOING DARK AFTER 2 SECS

The most common cause of intermittent display on an LCD monitor is a failing inverter. If it is the inverter, you should be able to shine a light onto the screen and see a very faint and difficult-to-see image of what would be on the screen if it were working properly.

If you can see this image, it means the display is working except for the backlight. The backlight consists of an inverter and a fluorescent tube. Either or both can be bad; but, it is usually the inverter.

Try that and get back to us with your result.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-monitor-e153fpt-going-dark-after-2-secs.881028/
Relevancy 52.46%

A user's computer screen will become dark screen suddenly and have no response as hang. It would happen using Excel or browsing internet. The monitor screen seems no signal Then needs to force restart by pressing power key. It happned once a week or
once a month.
Have checked that there had no any wrong or error in Windows 7 Event log after restarted.
Motherboard is Intel DG41TY which is year 2009 prodcut and CPU is Core2 Quad Q8400 2.66GHz.
For this circumstance, will it be the motherboard problem? or CPU overheat?
Thanks.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/16c82aee-13b3-486e-aa2e-f2c429cfc73f/monitor-will-be-dark-suddenly-occassionally-and-need-to-force-restart?forum=w7itprohardware
Relevancy 52.46%

Hey Basically I got a new video card recently It s the Radeon X As far as I know I haven t really changed anything in the settings that would be causing these wavy lines during game and I have all the latest control center software and display drivers but yet when I am in a good WoW specifically speaking on dark spots of the screen like if im in a cave or dark green grass etc I can see wavy lines all dark is wavy games. lines producing Monitor during over the place yet when I m just using my monitor regularly everything appears to be smooth and fine I m not sure but maybe it Monitor is producing dark wavy lines during games. has something to do with the refresh rate I never really understood all that refresh rate business but it seems that its switching between and a lot on it s own and I don t know how to do anything about that Maybe it has nothing to do with the refresh rate im not sure I m shooting in the dark here If anyone can tell me why im getting these lines and maybe tell me what I have to do to fix it I would really appreciate it EDIT Wow Turns out the refresh rate in the game itself was set to and I tried putting it to and problem solved Guess you can close this Sorry about that nbsp

A:Monitor is producing dark wavy lines during games.

You have to change the post to SOLVE. Top right corner THREAD TOOLS...

Refresh rates is how many times the DISPLAY is updated. 60hz is 60 refreshes a second. 75 = 75 refreshes a second. This IS not the same as FPS (Frames Per Second)... Your monitor maybe on 75, but your game could be studdering along at 15fps. Or a powerful graphics card is able to output at 145fps, but the monitor display can only handle 60fps - so you'll most likely see some sort of "page flipping" effects because frames are being lost/monitor can't keep up. Hence, many games have an option called "V-Sync" Meaning, *IF* the graphics card is exceeding the refresh rate, the game will tell the card to HOLD at the viewable rate (60, 75, whatever) = best looking output.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/monitor-is-producing-dark-wavy-lines-during-games.705859/
Relevancy 52.46%

I connect any second monitor via VGA and extend my desktop, it works for a couple minutes fine, after that it just goes dark and says "no signal".
Not reconnecting or reconfiguring helps, only restarting the whole computer. Tried many monitors, problem the same, no problem at all with laptop main monitor.
Please help me, I would like to use extended desktops.

A:Second monitor on Nvidia 7600 GO goes dark after couple minutes

Brother, I had a similar issue with a different setup, and it ended up being the (vga) cable. Other than that, is your VC overheating....or possibly bad?? That's all I got for you. Good luck!

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/288833-second-monitor-nvidia-7600-go-goes-dark-after-couple-minutes.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I'm running 2 9800 gt's in Sli, and am using the out of the box 181.2 drivers. Everytime I try to update the drivers, when my computer reboots my monitor goes dark after the microsoft loading screen. I can hear the Vista start up theme, but my monitor is in standby.

I've tried using older beta drivers, and the same result. I don't have any problem running with the 181.2 drivers, but I'd like to update them for better gaming performance

specs: Vista Home Basic 32 bit, Intel Core2 Duo e8400 3.0 ghz, ASUS PN5-D motherboard, 4 gb ddr2 RAM, 2 EVGA 9800 GT's in SLI configuration.

I'd appreciate any help anyone could provide

A:the latest nvidia drivers make my monitor go dark

Try the latest drivers 195.00 .. and you're running Windows Vista 32BIT that is part of the problem.. Doesn't have enough address space to utilize the resources.

Vista Basic is NOT made for gaming. I'd recommend getting a 64-bit OS.

32BIT at MAX will only address 3.3GB of Memory.

http://www.vistax64.com/graphic-cards/266520-latest-nvidia-drivers-make-my-monitor-go-dark.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I recently just built a gaming PC with my friend I have installed all of the drivers for the GPU from the installation disk it came displays dark. Build. glitches goes then New problem? Monitor GPU with Windows has been updated fully also besides three updates that continue to fail They are just security updates they may or may not be the problem The PC runs fine and the display will show New Build. Monitor displays glitches then goes dark. GPU problem? clear and crisp for about half an hour until New Build. Monitor displays glitches then goes dark. GPU problem? glitches will start to appear in the screen and next the monitor will appear black The light is still on and the PC is still running whatever it was last I know this because it did it during a driver installation and after I waited an hour and then restarted the PC the driver install was done Often after I restart the PC nothing will show up at all If I wait awhile and get lucky it will boot up normal The glitches happen most often when I try to run a game The mentioned updates continue to fail and idk why I have ran a troubleshoot for the PC as well and the it says no driver can be found for the PCI Simple Communications Controller After I choose to search for the driver online or on my computer it says no driver found During a Windows Update failure I got another error message concerning my graphics driver saying a problem could ve occurred because a graphics driver is missing Yet the program GPU Tweak that was installed with the disk says that everything s up-to-date When I try to update manually it says the sam thing This computer was not expensive I can post exact specs when I can get back into it and maybe some pics Specs Not listed is a terabyte of memory blu-ray burner and and an msi Z -G Gaming motherboard I have a strong internet connection and am using a DVI port for the monitor I have ruled out the monitor as the problem Before I said the PC was NOT expensive I meant NOT cheap I spent around on the parts nbsp

A:New Build. Monitor displays glitches then goes dark. GPU problem?

Looking at the screen shot of GPU-Z it appears you are running a AMD Catalyst 13.8 BETA drivers. I would suggest downloading the latest drivers from AMD: AMD Catalyst Omega Drivers 14.12. Then go into your control panel and completely uninstall the amd catalyst from your computer. Once completed, you may need to reboot the computer. After reboot, install the newest drivers from the link I posted above. Do so and then try again to produce same error results. Let us know if it works or not so we can try other options, or resolve the issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-build-monitor-displays-glitches-then-goes-dark-gpu-problem.207947/
Relevancy 51.17%

The Windows Photo Viewer was perfect for after shows too monitor Photo Viewer dark Windows images calibration! me in Windows so I got it working on Windows too The new Photos software that came with Windows is useless to me because it doesn't zoom at lease I can't figure out how as of yet I just want to keep things simple with Windows Photo Viewer shows images too dark after monitor calibration! the Windows Photo Viewer All was OK until I calibrated my Windows Photo Viewer shows images too dark after monitor calibration! monitors amp at about Windows Photo Viewer shows images too dark after monitor calibration! the same time there was a Windows update After calibration the monitors looked much better But when I opened the Windows Photo Viewer I noticed all photos looked extremely dark All other photo viewing software shows the same photos normal I just assumed it was the Windows update that caused this but it wasn't that Today I have figured it out that the problem is Windows Photo Viewer software is somehow clashing with my monitor color profile If I remove the icc profile the photos look normal using Windows Photo Viewer Once the monitor profile is returned they go back to too dark As I said other photo viewing software is not affected by this profile just Windows Photo Viewer I don't have a clue how to fix this other than returning to the default profile which would wreck my Photoshop business It just seem odd that the color profile only effects the Windows Photo Viewer this way amp not other programs Any ideas how to fix this

A:Windows Photo Viewer shows images too dark after monitor calibration!

I don't exactly know what do you require of Photo Viewer besides the Zoom feature.

Would you care to have a look at Picpick which is duped as "poor-man's SnagIt" ?
I use it for more than 3 years. All my screenshots are done with Picpick.
http://ngwin.com/picpick/download

Select the Free Download first.
If you really like it, you can buy the paid version later.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/42954-windows-photo-viewer-shows-images-too-dark-after-monitor-calibration.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello,
My Dell Inspiron One 2310 - All-in-One is showing Dark Sub-pixel defects (i think, due to black spots in lower region of the monitor).
As the screen is huge, so I was thinking I would reduce the display area to exclude the lower band of 4 centimetres in order to exclude the Dark spots.
How can I reduce the display area inDell Inspiron One 2310 - All-in-One?
I checked out the setup & service manual, but couldnt find instruction to do so.
Please help me out.
Thanks.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19681734
Relevancy 50.31%

I have a 3yr. old Toshiba laptop using windows vista home premium. The monitor light starts blinking and then goes out after about 45 minutes. The computer doesn't shut down or go to sleep as I can see through if the lighting in the room is just right. It has to be shut off manually and restarted to continue. Doesn't matter if it is idle or if I am actively using it. An IT tech has tried to figure it out and doesn't know the answer. He said to uninstall anything that I am not using like games etc. That hasn't worked. I took it to Best Buy and they said it is probably an internal problem, maybe with the light which would not be cost effective to have it changed.

A:monitor light goes out

Well...first thing I would do...is try a different monitor...or try that monitor on a different system, as I try to isolate/define the problem.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/376211/monitor-light-goes-out/
Relevancy 50.31%

NO MONITOR ON AT ALL! History and stats: Already had 2X256mb sdram pc 133 type installed. After adding another 256 mb pc133 sdram RAM to a d845wm intel board (which has a total of 3 slots for memory) with 1.8 pent 4 processor, radeon 64 mg video, 5.1 sound blaster sound, then tried new AGP video card, no change. HDD are 40gig Western Dig. and 160 Maxtor HDD. They worked fine before memory change. Tried second monitor-no change. Has internal floppy. Two fans besides cpu fan. It lit fine until I tried messsing with RAM which was 168 pin but did not say "pc133" on it. How bad am I screwed and what do I do next. I have accomplice ready to destruct. Help please? Oh Yea, XP Pro

A:Monitor won't light

Hi rix Welcome to TSG

Can't tell from your post. Have you tried taking the new memory out?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/monitor-wont-light.591819/
Relevancy 50.31%

I just replaced my charger cord, and battery in my Dell Studio 1535 laptop. Charged the battery up 100%, it powers up, but the monitor want light up I can see the stuff loading up just a little, it want go up in brightness either. I have Windows Vista, please help me ???

Relevancy 50.31%

Hi

I have a tft monitor which works, but there is no light.
I can just about see Windows displayed on the screen, so I know that the monitor is working. (it is not down to the brightness control)
I have never tried fixing a tft monitor before.
Can this be fixed, & if so, how?

Thanks for any replies

Relevancy 50.31%

Running about 6 mo everything's works well. I accidentally hit an option on a driver updater and the screen went black. The driver came along with other programs. I just wanted to look at it and see if it was worth a couple of bucks. I think if we put it in
The safe mode I might be able to fix this. I need instructions on how to get to the safe mode then to the control panel the to the device mgr the to the display adapter (?) I think, help
Billwhit1

A:W 8 will not now light up the monitor

Hello billwhit,
To get to safe mode, go to the start screen, start typing "msconfig", hit enter. As I'm not on my pc, I can't tell you exactly, but there is a checkbox in one of the tabs called safe mode. Check the box and the next time you restart - you will log in safe mode. When you're done, open msconfig in safe mode and uncheck the safe mode box and you will log in the next you restart normally.

Hope this helps.
Arpan

http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-cards/9801-w-8-will-not-now-light-up-monitor.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Can anyone tell me why my monitor will not come on until I first unplug it behind the monitor? It then lights up if I do that....

A:Monitor will not light up.

What kind of monitor is it? CRT or LCD?Big and heavy or flat and light in weight

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-will-not-light-up.64016/
Relevancy 49.45%

My cpu and monitor gets power from UPS. As UPS is kept always on, so whenever I shut down my PC, the monitor also shuts but indicator light of monitor keeps on because monitor is getting power from UPS which is always on. My question is that is there any harm if monitor indicator keeps on or I should give power to monitor from other switch.
Edit- sorry, the indicator light turns to yellow from Blue when I shut down PC then stays in yellow position.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/67439-monitor-indicator-light-keeps-always.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I have an old Compaq Presario monitor, and for months it has been "blinking" from time to time. Now every day the screen turns red, then goes back to normal. Does this mean the monitor is about to crash?

A:Red flashes of light on monitor

Basically, yes. Try taking it to a PC repair shop or, failing that, a TV repair place.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/red-flashes-of-light-on-monitor.122892/
Relevancy 49.45%

i have a acer lcd monitor al 702, which goes on but after 1 second the light goes off .
and the display is ok , can anyone help me and provide service manual or service tips.
please help.......

Relevancy 49.45%

A friend of mines computer starts, but his green monitor light blinks on and off.(he uses a CRT). Any suggestions?

A:Monitor light blinks on and off

The light blinks green? Or orange?
Usually a blinking light means no signal. Meaning the PC is not sending a signal out the video card, meaning something on the PC is trashed.

Easiest thing to do is test the monitor real quick on another PC that IS working. If the monitor works, then something is wrong with the PC. And you'll have to troubleshoot it from there.

But this will get you started. Chances are good it's not the monitor that is the problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-light-blinks-on-and-off.47824/
Relevancy 49.45%

I'm new and not real computer savvy so bare with me my monitor went black but my light is blinking green constantly whether I unplug it and plug it back in still the same result I took another monitor with same power cord and same PC and plugged it all in and it works fine so I don't know what to do next help please accer 19" 2002 model 1706 A

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-light-blinking.138409/
Relevancy 49.45%

So, my sisters computer monitor on a dell...dell flat panel....started freaking out. you plug it in and the power light flashes green...and the screen in the bottom right hand corner blips white...no buttons do anything...this occurs even without the monitor connected to a computer.

(please no stupid respones...i build computers only serious answers)

A:Monitor Light Flashes

What happens when you try a different monitor connected too that DELL? Remember these new monitors do go DOA when you lease expect.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-light-flashes.69587/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi guys,

Since the start of last week when using my PC desktop the monitor would turn off randomly. I would switch it back on and then five minutes later it would go off again. Now however when I switch the computer on the screen boots up with the user accounts then goes off instantly. I tested the monitor against my laptop and it seems fine. Would you be able to help? My computer knowledge is very limited.

Cheers

Luke

Relevancy 49.02%
A:dvd will not work light comes on but nothing shows on monitor.

Hello

A liitle more info would be good So everything works with your computer but if you try to play a DVD nothing happens except the light going on?

All DVDs? How about CDs?

Do you know how to go into Device Manager?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-will-not-work-light-comes-on-but-nothing-shows-on-monitor.984668/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi, i turned my pc on and it was working fine i was on my computer as normal then the monitor decides to turn itself off and reset the machine.... everytime you turn the pc on now it's fine but the monitor goes to the green light then switches it'self to the orange light straight away it's not the monitor as i've tried it with 4 different monitors i took it to the tech guy and he said it's probably the CPU, i bought another CPU and fitted it myself however the same problem is occuring, please help i'll post some details about my pc below

Mainboard:- ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
New CPU:- AMD ATHLON 2500 AXDA2500DKV4D SOCKET A

Please help

A:Monitor on orange light even when computer is on

1 x AGP Pro/8X (1.5V only)Click to expand...

More likely Video card fault, or Bios requires resetting

One of the Bios updates says: A7N8X-E Deluxe BIOS 1011

Fix ATI 9700 failed to boot when aperture size is changed.Click to expand...

But the latest (but old) Bios is: A7N8X-E Deluxe BIOS 1013

Try having a look at: Tutorial: No POST (Power On Self Test)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-on-orange-light-even-when-computer-is-on.120931/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hey there,

took apart the girlfriend's HP in hopes of replacing the fan, but now that things are back together, the HD light isn't working (although the HD does spin when turned on). Also, the laptop screen remains blank on startup, and when I connect an external monitor, the screen remains blank, although it does appear to receive a signal, because the tri-color 'no monitor signal' screen goes off.

There is a ribbon that, when toggled, blinks the I/O light and the Power/Battery light. The HD light is between these and I am assuming it is on the same little ribbon. The ribbon appears worn at a place, so this may explain the light problem.

Still doesn't explain the monitor problem. Anyone know how I could troubleshoot this?

Any help will do. Even vague help. =)

A:HP Laptop HD light and monitor/vid out not working

Hi and welcome. Sounds like some things may not have been re-connected?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-laptop-hd-light-and-monitor-vid-out-not-working.324166/
Relevancy 49.02%

k just formated before all of this with old Orange Light Inside) (More With Monitor hardware which is now gone but i got a new mobo and cpu http www tigerdirect com applications SearchTools item-details asp Sku A - is the new mobo http www tigerdirect com Orange Light With Monitor (More Inside) applications SearchTools item-details asp Sku A - is the new cpu now before the new hardware the old dell monitor worked fine now its constantly orange when powered on even if the pc is on and off and when i unplug it it the light goes green or w e but says no source avail i got a new OS to install and thats why i was formating before i have one stick of ram DDR in the first slot just incase i only have the install hd in just incase sata i have two cd drives i CAN use but only the newer one hooked up via sata as well and ofc keyboard and mouse know i really hope that cpu and mobo work good together lol the psu is a w one ive had and all plugs are in there is NO extra sound of video card it is all default motherboard stuff really need help been off that pc for work for almst a week now dunno what kinda error it is or how to fix it ps yes ive googled for hrs for this some ideas but no go nbsp