Windows Support Forum

Accessing secure folders to recover data on a failing hard drive

Q: Accessing secure folders to recover data on a failing hard drive

I am new to posting on the site and I have searched for this issue but come up blank Here is my problem I am attempting to recover data to Accessing hard drive data recover on a secure failing folders from Accessing secure folders to recover data on a failing hard drive a hard drive that is failing - no partition found I have been able to scan and mount the partition NTFS and I have recovered the public folders the issue is with the other two user folders I see they are write protected I am unable to remove the write protection or grant my self even read access to the folders I have mounted them as I said and made an image of the partition which is what I am working on but of course the two folders are not copying to the image as I do not have permission to access them The Drive is an Gig partitioned and formatted NTFS with Windows XP I have tried a rescue CD in the system with no luck and now I have the drive in a an external dock on a different system running Win I am using my Admin Acct This seems to be an issue like the Ransome ware infections where users lose access to their data any suggestions welcome and greatly appreciated Mike Ears Hopin P

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Accessing secure folders to recover data on a failing hard drive

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Accessing secure folders to recover data on a failing hard drive

You sure it's not just a permission issue? Try How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP.  7 is pretty much the same. Just takes a lot more clicks.

Oh, and in the future, backup your data to a second physical disk or the cloud. This will avoid the inevitable.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503184/accessing-secure-folders-to-recover-data-on-a-failing-hard-drive/
Relevancy 84.28%

I just came back from a trip data me from drive hard failing get Help and my laptop suddenly took ten minutes to boot and then starting Help me get data from failing hard drive acting very very slow I fear I may have dropped laptop and damaged harddrive I also found that the all data partition part of my GB hard drive became inaccessible to me Explorer would freeze up and crash when I tried to access my data partition My Data partition has GB of data I want to retrieve I tried putting the WD scorpio blue drive in a hard drive enclosure but the GB partition partition says location is not accessible the peramiter is incorrect A microsoft windows popped up saying I need to format the drive before I can use it I clicked ok but then quickly thought better of it and turned off computer afraid it would erase my partition I turned my PC back on and opened disk management from manage my computer and I see my data partition listed as healthy GB logical volume but it's file system says RAW instead of ntfs Is this right Disk properties would not do error check it said windows can't access the disk I also tried reinstalling windows on the primary non data partition of the GB drive but each screen was taking ten minutes to load and the install wouldn't take Anyone know warranty options on this drive I bought this WD GB drive used from ebay about months ago

A:Help me get data from failing hard drive

Welcome
This may save your documents
Most warranties do not cover dropped computers, unless you purchased the special warranty that covers accidents.
PC Inspector FILE RECOVERY

There is no way of telling how software will react on a damaged hard drive etc.
Use hard drive as little as possible until recovery
As a last resort when the hard drive is dead and you did not get your doucments.
Take a baggie, put drive in baggie. Put baggie in freezer over night then try to get the documents.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/124432-help-me-get-data-failing-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Hello,
I have a failing hard drive but I can still access it when it is connected as an external USB drive (used to be the primary boot drive in a laptop) I want to copy as much of the data as possible from the "user" folder and sub folders. I select the folders I want to copy but the process fails with out any errors. Copying files sees to work but it would take a long time to rebuild the folder structure. Any ideas how to accomplish this and/or why copying folders fails (with not error messages)? Thanks!

A:Data recovery from failing hard drive

Try running a Disk Check

If this fails sometimes what will work is How to Check File System? Partition Wizard Video Help.. I'd also run Video help on how to perform partition surface test with Partition Wizard..

If you can't copy out the files via Explorer then try Copy & Paste - in Windows Recovery Console to another HD or flash stick.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/298281-data-recovery-failing-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 83.42%

I ve got an internal Seagate hard drive which is not Saving hard drive failing data from in such great health It first showed some symptoms when in my Sony laptop see http answers Saving data from failing hard drive microsoft com en-us af-b - b -b - fc dce tab AllReplies I was able to retrieve some files using Unstoppable Copier but this program kept stopping when encountering a bad file or sector I removed the HD and installed it via the internal SATA to my home computer and began copying files But whenever it encounters a bad file I m trying to transfer it slows down and I have to reboot And about of the time after I reboot the suspect HD isn t detected in My Computer I d like to save all the good data - and have a list of the files which are bad or won t copy But with the computer constantly needing rebooting this is becoming a very frustrating tedious process Does anyone have any ideas of how I could easily save all the data without having all these interruptions Thanks in advance for any help nbsp

Relevancy 83.42%

I ve got a year old Western Digital GB mb cache IDE hard drive that s failing There s no O S on it - it s my slave drive in a Win K Server I have it partioned into sections I m never really on that server much but I map to it from my XP PC amp my RedHat PC It started acting really slow and doing strang things so after several scan disks and reboots on purpose and BSOD s it now gets the following on startup quot Sec Master Hard Disk S M A R T Status BAD Backup and Replace Press F Hard save failing... Drive to the how data? to continue quot It ll boot up into the OS and sometimes I can access parts of it Hard Drive failing... how to save the data? and sometimes it doesn t even show up Also every once in a while it ll say it was unplugged or removed - that message that you get when you unplug a USB device I had tons of stuff on that drive Most I have backed up somewhere or I can get off CD or whatever But I kept all the pictures I ve ever taken with my digital cameras in the past several years I d like to get those back When I try to access the drive the quot pictures quot folder does not even show up Others do and I can access them sometimes That one never does Is this drive dieing and past repair or is there something I can do to get the data off it It s formated NTFS I tried a several DOS based floppys that had NTFS support on them This was back when I could see the quot pictures quot folder I was only able to copy a couple pics and then it crashed and the scan disk on bootup said I had bad sectors or unreadable sections or something like that - I can t remember exactly what it said Any help would be appreciated Cory nbsp

Relevancy 83.42%

Hi all, first post.
I have a HP pavilion dv7 laptop that recently died, but comp tech says hard drive should still be good. HPs black screen of death is what happened...I'm past trying to fix it, and bought a new ASUS laptop.
I removed the hard drive from the HP, hooked up the sata cable n power supply a d tgen into the USB port. When I do this, it immediately displays an error message "unknown address" and I cannot get into the hard drive. I'm lost now and can't figure out what to do. Driver is up to date, did a few things that I found online like updating driver, disable/enable through devmgmt, n some others....
The hard drive I removed from the HP was running Windows 7 and my new ASUS is running Windows 10.
HELP!!

Ben

A:Hard drive data recovery failing

Hey, Ben! What exactly do you have this hard drive plugged into? I'm a bit confused on that part. Is it an external enclosure or a dock? Or something else? The new laptop is displaying the message about "unknown address?" Is it a particular software that you're running showing that?

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/hard-drive-data-recovery-failing-277684/
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi just finished building a new pc with a friend and now we are having problems accessing some of Slave Drive Problems on Folders Hard Accessing the folders on the Slave hard drive we added It s actually the old hard drive from Problems Accessing Folders on Slave Hard Drive his previous pc we thought it would be easier and quicker to copy stuff across by adding it as a slave before reformatting it Basically you can see and access most of the folders on the slave hard drive but there are that we Problems Accessing Folders on Slave Hard Drive can t typically the ones where all the good stuff are kept these being My Documents Favourites Desktop and Cookies This drive has Windows XP Home Edition installed on it and it previously asked for a password at login but we have disabled it thought that this would solve our problem but nothing is ever that easy When you try to access these folders you get an Access Denied warning Can anyone suggest what we are doing wrong or a way of getting around this with out have to copy everything to CD and transferring it nbsp

A:Problems Accessing Folders on Slave Hard Drive

You have to gain admin rights to the files that you cant access. Maybe loggin on with his username and password will do it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problems-accessing-folders-on-slave-hard-drive.35766/
Relevancy 82.99%

My PC s hard drive recently failed and had to be replaced Thankfully I had a bit of warning as the drive Drive Accessing On Faulty Data Hard had been acting strangely for a while so I d backed up pretty-much everything that s important to me before the failure However there is one email that I received just Accessing Data On Faulty Hard Drive before the crash and which is very important to me Unfortunately I didn t have time Accessing Data On Faulty Hard Drive to back this up I would like to Accessing Data On Faulty Hard Drive try to retrieve this email from off of the faulty drive and have read quite widely on the internet that one way of possibly gaining temporary access to a faulty drive is to place the faulty drive in some ziplock bags to exclude moisture and then to deep freeze it afterwhich and once reconnected it just may work for long enough to back up important docs Some say to freeze the drive for hours and some say for at least a week but my question is no matter how long the drive is frozen for does it actually help it to work or is it just a joke with me being so stupid as to believe it I mean surely after re-connection and once the frozen drive begins to warm back up water droplets may form on its suface and circuitry which certainly wouldn t bode well for continued operation when connected to a volt supply When all is said and done I would like to retrieve my lost data but not at the expense of turning my entire PC into toast Let s suppose I keep the freshly frozen drive out of the PC case let s say on an antistatic bag and connect it to its own volt supply and not the same one as used to power the rest of the PC so that the only connection it has to the main board is by means of its SATA cable Would I be likely to do any damage this way Perhaps just worth a mention that when the drive failed it just sat there either making a clicking noise or doing nothing with the PC continually displaying the blue screen of death Ultimately can anyone suggest any better ways of gaining access to data on a faulty drive Any suggestions gratefully received nbsp

Relevancy 82.99%

I recently purchased a USB hard drive enclosure for my old laptop's hard drive, and I am now trying to access the data on it from my new computer. When I plug the hard drive into the USB port, it does not show up in 'my computer.' It does show up under disk management, however, and it gives me the option of 'initializing' it. I am afraid doing this will format the disk and erase the data, which I don't want to do. I simply want to be able to browse the files from my old hard drive. Any suggestions as to how I should proceed? Thank you.

A:hard drive enclosure--accessing data

My new computer is a Dell Studio laptop running windows vista. The hard drive is from a Toshiba Satellite running windows xp. The hard drive enclosure is an I/O Magic 2.0 enclosure. It did not come with any software. Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-enclosure-accessing-data.815977/
Relevancy 82.99%

We added the hard drive from our old computer into our new computer (so, I have two hard drives, an old one and the new one). I can access Word documents, etc. on the old drive just fine, but I'm wondering if there is a way I can find/view my email addresses I had in Outlook Express and websites I had stored in "favorites" on my old drive. I hope this makes sense. Your help, as always, is appreciated! Robin

Relevancy 82.99%

My IBM Thinkcentre Windows XP crashed and when I tried to repair XP it basically installed a brand new version of the OS partition. So now I cannot access files such as pics, music etc from hard drive.

Thanks in advance!

A:Problem Accessing Data from Hard Drive

At this point, do as little as you can from that computer. You can probably still recover these files. Download a free program like Recuva and run a scan on that hard drive to try and recover those files. You may have to mount the hard drive in another computer and run the scan from a different Windows OS. Good luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-accessing-data-from-hard-drive.995407/
Relevancy 82.99%

OK hard I my recover Can data from my drive? here s my setup Athlon XP MB DDR RAM GB Primary IDE master - C with OS installed GB Primary IDE slave - D no OS - data and other stuff CD CDRW Secondary IDE Win SE Everything has been working fine for about a year now and then suddenly this weekend I hit some problems While my computer was sitting Can I recover my data from my hard drive? idle I noticed it suddenly went to a blue screen that said something like quot error writing to C drive quot So I rebooted and then the BIOS Phoenix started hanging on the quot Detecting IDE drives quot POST message It hung for about seconds and then couldn t find either drive on the Primary IDE channel So my first impression was that the master drive was at fault Through some trial and error testing I found that actually the slave drive GB is Can I recover my data from my hard drive? the problem The master works fine without the slave attached but as soon as the slave is there it freezes on the POST message Sometimes the GB drive is detected by the BIOS sometimes not It seems to be fairly random when the BIOS can detect it Even when it is detected by the BIOS Windows DOS cannot read from the drive gets a quot cannot read from media quot or some such error I ve narrowed it down to definitely being the slave drive because the same symptoms show up when it is plugged into a different system altogether As a sanity check I have also tried different IDE channels different cables different jumper settings and making the drive settings in the BIOS manually rather than auto-detect - all with the same results So there s obviously some issues with the drive Now the big question is can I get the data on the drive off of it somehow More specifically can I or someone else do that without voiding the warranty and without costing me several hundred dollars I have a lot of game saves and other data on the drive which would be a real pain in the butt to lose but not enough to pay that much cash out Or is there something else that I might be missing Is there some kind of boot disk tool that could maybe access the drive when Windows cannot on the occasions when BIOS can detect the drive Thanks in advance for any help you can provide nbsp

Relevancy 82.99%

Hi.

Earlier today I clean re-installed Windows XP Professional. I backed up alot of useful data on my second hard drive, and proceeded with the reinstallation. Everything went smooth, but when I double clicked my second hard drive in My Computer, it gave the message:

"The disk in drive D is not formatted.

Do you want to format it now?"

If i proceed with this, all the data on that hard drive will be wiped out.

Is there any possible way to recover the date from the hard drive?

A:Is there any way to recover data from this hard drive?!

what File System are you using? ie: Fat32 or NTFS?
Make sure that both hd's have the same file system, otherwise you're going to have to reinstall on the same fs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-there-any-way-to-recover-data-from-this-hard-drive.2662/
Relevancy 82.99%

hello,
i recently formatted my 250gb maxtor slave hard drive by accident. It was formatted using the NTFS file system. It had a lot of important data on it and i would like to retrieve it. Does anyone know of a program that would be able to find and recover my files for free? I have tried PC Inspector file recovery and it doesn't recognise my 250 gb hard drive. I looked for the files using Virtuallab, which found the files alright, although, you have to pay to get your files back... which i don't wanna do .
So if any of you know a program I could download for free that would work, I would greatly appreciate it. Anyways....cheers:
gaz.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recover-hard-drive-data.178757/
Relevancy 82.99%

The hard drive is made by a company called "BSE Data Storage" 40 gigabyte IDE. When i try to boot to it, it says S.M.A.R.T Command Failed.

Not sure on jumper settings but when i boot to slave (guessing with jumpers although pretty sure it is correct), windows detects the drive in the device manager but no where else.

I want to extract a few imporant files off the hard drive.

The hard drive makes no ticking or scratching noises, other than the normal noise it should make.

This occured when i was trying to install a printer driver, other than that computer ran fine.

Im running Win XP on the computer and the bad hard drive.

Please Help.

Thanks,
Rio

Relevancy 82.99%

Hi.

Earlier today I clean re-installed Windows XP Professional. I backed up alot of useful data on my second hard drive, and proceeded with the reinstallation. Everything went smooth, but when I double clicked my second hard drive in My Computer, it gave the message:

"The disk in drive D is not formatted.

Do you want to format it now?"

If i proceed with this, all the data on that hard drive will be wiped out.

Is there any possible way to recover the date from the hard drive?

Relevancy 82.99%

On my system I have a 120gig and a 40 gig hard drives. (I run dual boot with 98se and XP pro). I was reinstalling both operating systems and my 40gig (which is my documents drive) got messed up by win 98 setup. . I formatted the 120gig and ran win 98 setup. When win 98 setup ran scandisk it found errors on drive E (my documents drive) and I accidently hit "fix the errors" instead of "don't fix the errors" which now makes it show up as unformatted. Is there anything I can do to recover the data?
Thanks.

A:Help!! Must recover data on hard drive

Do a "recovery" search on the forum, this subject came up recently.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-must-recover-data-on-hard-drive.10815/
Relevancy 82.56%

Anyways, I posted a while back about my click of death signaling my hard drive failing. Well, it finally crashed, and i haven't been able to use it for a month, until for some reason, today, it my laptop began to work. Point:

1) Bought new HD to replace failing one, I first am wondering how i can transfer my XP? For some reason, can't find anywhere to make a CD, (bootable diskette can be found everywhere) to boot and install XP. I do have an Operating Recovery CD Windows XP SP1 that came with my old destop, will this work?

2) I can back up all the data, but does that include drivers back up? For example, does this include software already installed, and will automatically work on the other hard drive (like a copy paste action?)

Basically replacing hard drive, any tips on the whole process would be great, Thanks a bunch.

Relevancy 82.13%

Hello Guru's,
My systemwas suddenly crashed and I askedone of my company person to helpme in recovering the data on my hard drive and he said that his system is not registering(recognising) my hard drive due to which is he unable to restore the data. he suggested to contact one strore who will chargefrom 2000 to 5000 $ and I don't have that much money to recover my valueble data.
Please help me by telling how to recover my data on my hard drive.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards
Bobby

A:Want to recover data from crashed hard drive

Hi Bobby and welcome to TSG.

If the hard drive is not getting detected by the computer BIOS at power up, then it is probably beyond any kind of inexpensive do-it-yourself solution.

If the hard drive is detected by the BIOS but Windows cannot access it, you may have a possibility of recovering all or some of its contents. You connect it as a slave drive in a working computer and then use commercial recovery software. Some recovery software that you can download has a free test mode that will test the drive's contents and gives you a report of what it can recover. You then have to pay for the program before it will actually recover the data.

You say your data is valuable but do not want to spend $2000 to get it back. How much are you willing to spend?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/want-to-recover-data-from-crashed-hard-drive.755003/
Relevancy 82.13%

I accidentally reformatted the wrong hard drive, I lost all my information on D. I was wondering if there was any solid method of recovering some if not all of the lost files on that drive. Thank you.

Relevancy 82.13%

I have two Seagate 7200 hard drives than are no longer recognized by the desktop or by my laptop via a usb/EDI/SATA adapter. These were my backup drives and have all my photos, itunes, and doc files. Rather than speed $1,000 to have the files extracted by a recovery firm I wondered if its possible to remove the storage media from one drive and install it in a new drive box. Say buy a $60 internal drive open it up and remove the disks, take the disks out of the non-working drive and install it in the new internal drive. Is that even possible? Would the circuitry on the new drive even recognize the replacement disks? Would the drives need to be the same GB? Inquiring minds want to know!

A:Can I rebuild a hard drive to recover data

I've heard of people buying the exact same drive (needs to be exact so the PCB is the same) and then swapping those out. I've never heard of people removing the platters and putting in a new drive - I think that would be highly risky if not impossible. Try to find a working drive with the same PCB on ebay, then swap the boards.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-rebuild-a-hard-drive-to-recover-data.184927/
Relevancy 82.13%

I am trying to help someone over the phone who has some technical ability with his 2 WIN98 (???SE) PC's. Unfortunately I have not used WIN 98 for a
very long time. His problem is that his Logitech PS2 mouse has stopped working on PC #1. It works on other machines and it appears that the computer's PS2 connector is damaged. Both machines have a single hard drive
(IDE interface).
He needs to recover valuable data on PC #1. (Of cource he has no backup!!). Can he simply remove the hard drive from PC#1 and put it in PC#2 (configured as a slave on IDE1 or a master on IDE2)?
Are there any problems with this solution?
thanks....ralph

A:Move hard drive to recover data

No problems.. If there are multiple partitions on the system drive, then the drive letters may get shifted around, but otherwise everything should Just Work.

Mind you, he could just attach a serial mouse to the broken system..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/move-hard-drive-to-recover-data.62699/
Relevancy 82.13%

Hello,

The USB of my external hard drive was broken and I changed to a new casing. However, it did not show up in my computer anymore and did not show up in disk management. I read forums and assigned it a drive name in disk management and clicked new partition. The drive was now visible in my computer but it keeps asking to be formatted. I do not want to erase my old data and so did not format.I want access to this data back again. My hard drive is fine and makes no noises. Someone please help.

Thanks,
Tulika

A:Recover data from external hard drive?

No guarantee that you'll be able to recover your data. Depends on the size of the HDD, it might take a while for the programs to scan it. Be patient.

Found some posts that might be of help. Good luck.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252267-45-recovery-data-hard-disk-deleting-partition

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/255089-32-partitions-overwritten-recover-previous-data

http://www.partitionguru.com/step/recover-partition-using-partitionGuru.php

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recover-data-from-external-hard-drive.167375/
Relevancy 82.13%

I am trying to recover data from a laptop hard drive I have removed from a clients Vista based laptop. The system board appears to be bad, but the hard disk appears to be ok. I am using a SATA to USB adapter to look at the hardrive using another computer (running Windows 7) .
There is an icon with a lock on a couple of the directories. One being the Documents and Settings directory. I can't see files in the directory. I have taken ownership of the directory and I see a subdirectory with my name , as if a subdirectory was created because my computer took ownership , but I don't see other files.
How do I recover the data ?
Thanks

A:Reading Hard Drive to recover data

Welcome
From reading your post, it appears that you are trying to recover the stuff that is on the HD, documents, pics etc.
I think you may want to start with this software. Download and look around. Your stuff may be able to be viewed.
I think going into doucments and settings will lead to a dead end.
Documents and Settings in Vista and Windows 7 - 4sysops

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/288459-reading-hard-drive-recover-data.html
Relevancy 82.13%

Okay not really very good at this but my laptop stopped working so I took hd out and connected it to anotherlaptop through usb lead it appears in my disk management (although it shows up grey instead of black or blue if that makes sense to anyone) but it wont show in my computer I have a load od family photos on this drive and would really love some help and will send out good karma to all who try to help me many thanks in advance

A:Trying to recover data from crashed hard drive

Hi techmichellenot. When you say it stopped working,is there anything on the screen when you power up, or any indication that the system passed it's POST procedure (Power On Self Test), usually indicated by a beep before Windows itself tries to boot up?. Any error messages seen?. Sounds like you put the drive in an external case that can connect via USB. If there is indeed a problem with the disk drive and it's not a physical problem with the drive (maybe a corrupted Windows boot file,etc),your system may have a Recovery procedure that will reinstall your OS without erasing your data files (called a non destructive OS reinstall) as opposed to a destructive which erases everything and reinstalls the OS. I would check your documentation to see if your laptop has such a procedure.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trying-to-recover-data-from-crashed-hard-drive.189487/
Relevancy 82.13%

Can somebody please help My C is a WD BB Western Digital gb I ran Disk Defragmentation and when i finished I ran Scan Disk Scan Disk wanted me to restart first With the Restart it never loaded my XP instead I recieved a message to start up in quot Safe Mode quot or quot Safe Mode With Networklng quot or quot Safe Mode with Comand Prompt quot or quot Solved: data on Recover drive hard Normal Windows quot No matter which one I choose my Computer starts up up to the black screen with the XP logo and blue bar showing progress The next moment it just restarts again I think my partition table is Solved: Recover data on hard drive broken I ve tried fixing the problem by booting with XP cd and restore fix with no success It wants me to format the HDD and re-install XP There is no software tool from hard drive manufacturer that I can find I ve even made a old gb HDD as my C master and installed XP on it then connected my gb HDD as slave to try and recover the data My gb is displayed in explorer and Disk Management but it is not accessable How can I retrieve save my data from that HDD Or how can I fix my HDD I will apreciate all help Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 82.13%

Is it possible to recover data from corrupted hard-drive?

A:Recover Data From Corrupt Hard-Drive

Sometimes, yes

Depends on the corruption cause as to mechanical or electronic.
If the data is critical, then there are data recovery companies specialising in that field, but they are not cheap. Think in figures around $1,000 or so

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recover-data-from-corrupt-hard-drive.768232/
Relevancy 82.13%

Hello,

I had a problem last week with my system, which I posted in this forum. Turns out one of my hard drives was the culprit.
I have (had) two internal hard drives on my desktop. I removed the faulty one, and my system now runs properly, but I need the data off of that faulty drive. (I need the data added since the last back up.)

I purchased a SATA to USB adapter kit, but of course it isn't that easy. The drive is not showing up in My Computer.

When I go to Disk Management, it is there... but I can't click on it. (Listed as Disk 1 Removable O: in screen cap)

Can anyone tell me (dumb it down, please) how I can recover my data?

(the drive in question is a Seagate that was partitioned into sections.)

thanks in advance

A:how do I recover data from a non responsive hard drive?

Here's the rule of thumb I've seen.

If the partition is seen and appears to be intact, try to recover the files with a file recovery application such as Recuva.

If the partition is not seen and appears to be gone or damaged, try to recover the partition first using a tool such as Partition Wizard. If that is successful, the files may then be visible and not need recovery.

I'm no expert on either application.

In any case, don't write anything new to the drive.

Hook the drive up in the normal manner and determine if you can see the partition. If no, try Partition Wizard. If yes, try Recuva.

Based on your picture, it looks like the partition is not seen.

You say this is an internal drive, so I'm not clear why you are using that cable instead of just connecting the drive internally.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/334762-how-do-i-recover-data-non-responsive-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 82.13%

Help!!!!!!!

This evening I did a very stupid thing. When I plugged in my external hard drive, I got a message saying that I needed to reformat it. Without thinking, I clicked yes and allowed the darn computer to start erasing my data. As soon as I realized what I had idiotically done, I had another lapse of judgment and unplugged the external hard drive in the middle of the process.

Now I have a hard drive that is still 80% full and no way of reaching the data… Anytime I try to open the drive, I get a message saying it’s inaccessible.

Is there any way for me to recover some of the data still on the drive????

Any advice y'all could give would be muchly appreciated.
Thanks!!

Relevancy 82.13%

Hi, I suppose you get this all the time but I have searched the internet and have only found one method of recovery.

Basically A virus has destroyed my operating system and I need a method of getting the data my laptop's hard drive. I have tried to install a new operating system using Ubuntu however once trying to install it says that there is not enough room on the hard drive which is understandable as it was pretty much full and when I installed ubuntu onto a USB stick It loaded through however I don't know how to access the original hard drive data when it loads through.

I wanted to know whether if there was an external method of taking the data off using another computer. The laptop is a Satellite A210 - 1C0.

Any Information would be great. Thanks.

Relevancy 82.13%

I have a IBM G-IDE hard drive that just died It s making spinning noises After rebooting the computer twice the noise will not go away and now the hard recover Hard to data Need drive: Noisy drive does not come up in the system BIOS All the cables are fine - I tried the HD in the freezer trick hour still nothing - I did a swap of master slave - I tried it on different and other systems - I ve lightly tapped it a few Noisy Hard drive: Need to recover data times I was wondering is there anything else I can try Does the freezer trick have to be longer like hours as someone suggested can that length of time in the freezer cause ANY or even MORE damage How many times can a hard drive be put into a freeze Does Noisy Hard drive: Need to recover data the freezer trick only work if the hard drive is still recognized in the BIOS Can anyone help or suggest any other safe method for accessing Noisy Hard drive: Need to recover data or recovering my data I m not skilled with opening hard drives up swapping parts so that s out to I d like to recover as much data as possible HELP PLEASE nbsp

A:Noisy Hard drive: Need to recover data

Welcome to TechSpot

Have you tried the IBM utilities in the Sticky at the top of this forum?

Surf to http://www.tufftest.com/ and check out their utils. They also have a TuffTest-Lite for free to try. It creates a bootup-floppy which will then disect your system and its components.

Do a search in this forum on IBM Deskstar (or rather Deathstar), to see what others have come up with.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/noisy-hard-drive-need-to-recover-data.17293/
Relevancy 82.13%

On My XP MCE I wanted to print an interesting file and started the CTRL and P When it was taking a very long time to load the data I realized there would be a multitude of pages to print and the only way I could interrupt the process was to power off Upon reboot it kept cycling offering a screen with choices -- Safe Last known normal etc It did not matter which I selected it would cycle and return to that screen Giving up I replaced the HD and now I would like to recover the data I have the failed drive in an external case and when I try to access it I get quot Corrupted file -- cannot access quot The HD with the corrupted file is a WD SATA G Is there software that will allow me to gain access to the data I have the files backed up on another drive but the last back up was two months ago Thank you for considering my question nbsp

Relevancy 82.13%

I recently had my laptop motherboard die and need to recover data from the hard drive. The laptop hard drive had windows 7 installed on it. I would like to hook this drive up to my desktop, which has windows XP, and run the laptop drive as a slave. The laptop also has security passwords set so I will need to take control of the drive in order to access any files. Will this work?

I've done this process several times where both drives were running XP and I had no problems but I'm a little concerned it may not work since my primary drive (desktop with XP) is the older of the two operating systems.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

A:Recover data from hard drive (win 7) using desktop with XP?

Hi speedracer993,
Welcome to Seven Forums.

There should be no issues in slaving the drive in an XP machine, you will then be able to access your data.
What do you mean by "The laptop also has security passwords set"??

Regards,
JDobbsy1987

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/163413-recover-data-hard-drive-win-7-using-desktop-xp.html
Relevancy 82.13%

Hi Help: recover and hard data. Repair drive I m from latin america so excuse my bad writing I ll try to be the clearest I can It s about a Hitachi SATA TB hard drive What happened was that I had my CPU laid on one side and opened I had the hard Help: Repair hard drive and recover data. drive laid over the DVD unit Help: Repair hard drive and recover data. compartment because I was trying to fix up another hard drives and had to be continuously connecting and disconnecting Then I accidentally hit the CPU with my foot lifting it a little and getting hit against the floor the PC turned off then I turned it on again but Windows did not started So I Help: Repair hard drive and recover data. set BIOS to start with another hard drive that has Windows too and let the HItachi connected Like this Windows initialized very slow Then I check on quot My PC quot and Windows did not recognized de Hitachi hd I rebooted and checked in BIOS and there the Hitachi was not recognized neither I tried in another PC and with other cables and nothing changes P D -When the PC is turn on the Hitachi HD feels to start but past seconds it stops Sometimes when the PC turns on the Hitcachi starts to beep intermittently with a seconds interval it is not a mechanic sound and after every beep it s heard a little crack from the HD and the HD remains like this until I turn off the PC Remeber this happens SOMETIMES Please guys help me so I could repair the drive and recover my data Cheers and thanx nbsp

A:Help: Repair hard drive and recover data.

It sounds like you're done with that drive. I guess you will need to use your backups.

Recovery services can almost certainly get the data back, but they can cost into the $1000's.

The hard drive in your computer is in one of two states right now. It's
either going to fail or it already failed. Hard drives are inherently
fragile things with no built in redundancy.
-Chris PirilloClick to expand...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-repair-hard-drive-and-recover-data.1026212/
Relevancy 82.13%

Ok so my computer has hard drives First one is the C and is used for windows program files ect My second data Recover on unpartitioned hard drive hard drive i use to store my music pictures videos documents etc So i had both hard drives in there running fine and i decided i would reformat the C drive Recover data on unpartitioned hard drive and put windows on it again figuring all the data on the second drive would be fine I was using XP and i put XP on it again but when everything was installed it said that my second hard drive was unformatted So ive tried a bunch of programs to recover the data with no luck I can see that all the data is physicly still on the drive i just think that the partition information or whatever got screwed up somehow My friend told me that i would most likely need to recover the data to another hard drive which shouldnt be too much of a problem i just cant figure out how to do this i am looking at about gigs worth of data i need to recover and the only program i was able to find that would recover the data charged something like a gig and theres no way im paying for my hardrive back If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Recover data on unpartitioned hard drive

"I can see that all the data is physicly still on the drive"
How do you see this?

Try some partition recovery programs:

Partition Repair:

<--(Bootable floppy image)
http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/partfix.exe
http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html
http://mirror.href.com/thestarman/testdisk.html

or file recovery:

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/welcome.htm
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recover-data-on-unpartitioned-hard-drive.356471/
Relevancy 82.13%

Hi all,
Where/What software is the best for recovering data from a crashed hard drive. The drive that crashed was running Win98, but I've got WinXP machines that I can slap that drive into. I don't know much more than that because I have not had a chance to get my hands on the crashed drive, but the data is super important.

Thanks In Advance!!

Jason

A:Recover Crashed Hard Drive Data???

Well it depends on what went wrong with it. IF the drive is totally dead - ie does not spin up then there is no software to recover the data - you would need to replace the circuit board or electronics in the drive. If the heads are continually crashing then the same thing goes. If it just has bad sectors or Windows is messed up then you may be able to just copy the data off or use Spinrite.

There are companies that recover data from dead hard drives but they can charge from several hundred to several thousand for recover. This is where backing up your data comes in - it avoids these problems.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recover-crashed-hard-drive-data.186807/
Relevancy 81.27%

Hi please help The computer is an HP a f Windows Vista service pack with a Western Digital WD AAKS- A B drive Last year I started having problems with the wd hard drive I would get error messages and data using disc? repair How from can hard I recover after drive at startup the computer would show that it was scanning the files I realized that maybe How can I recover data from hard drive after using repair disc? the drive was dying so I figured out how to clone it to a new TB drive Things How can I recover data from hard drive after using repair disc? had been ok with the new TB drive until last month My dad had trouble with it and didn t tell me until windows would not even How can I recover data from hard drive after using repair disc? load anymore I was heartbroken I know I should have saved everything to some discs when I had the chance Anyway I used another computer to download a vista repair program made a CD and used the cd on the a f but it didn t seem to work So since the new drive seemed dead I had the idea to use the original hard drive I had cloned from wd and try to repair it and clone it again So I plugged in the original drive used the vista repair disc and thankfully it was working even though it still says biohd- in the smart test I was hopeful because the desktop would load but the problem was that it would take forever to load Yesterday I decided to wait however long it would take until the spinning cursor would go away and see if I could click on programs It took a long time and everything was slow but I was able to access the msconfig and check off some startups and services Then I read online about chkdsk r So I tried that and when I started up again things were faster So I cloned the drive to a brand new drive and decided to save the new one as a backup for now since this one seems to be working again Sorry for all that I just wanted to give a lil info on what happened Anyway while sorting files I realized that instead of having all the files up until October or November of it only has files up until May Did all the repairing delete over a years worth of files If so is there a way I can recover those files nbsp

A:How can I recover data from hard drive after using repair disc?

Hi and welcome,
You may be able to recover some files using testdisk (free and legal) but it depends how over-written they are. Guide here: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step inc how to run from within Windows.

In the meantime, use those drives as little as possible to improve chances of recovery.
You could try using a Linux o/s called Ubuntu to try to rescue files off the dead drive. Guide here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/ the version of Ubuntu has changed so some screenshots may look different, but the method still works.

Hope this helps?

Richard

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-can-i-recover-data-from-hard-drive-after-using-repair-disc.1105634/
Relevancy 81.27%

hello,

I need to recover from a formatted external hard drive - buffalo 160gb mini-station Turbo USB, FAT32. The formatted external hard drive has been partitioned into 2.

Is still possible to recover back the files?

On related problem - what is the best software to repair corrupted jpeg? using ulead photo explorer 7se, i managed to view the jpeg with full pixels but when I open the file, the picture displayed is only half and the other half is blank gray.

I have plenty of corrupted mov - is there any mov repairer out there?

Thank you thank you for your help and I really hope someone can kindly attend to my question this time.

Relevancy 81.27%

Trying to recover some files from bad hard drive using usb to sata hard drive enclosure submitted minutes ago by mdwilson I have an Asus K a I had a Hitachi gb hard drive that failed on me I went out usb enclosure data bad recover to hard from sata drive Trying using some to and bought a new samsung ssd gb hard drive and replace Computer is up and running on Windows My computer has gb of ram I have an TB external hard drive I had most files back up with the exception of a very important pro tools session i was working on right before the crash I need to Trying to recover some data from bad hard drive using usb to sata enclosure recover it Trying to recover some data from bad hard drive using usb to sata enclosure Before buying a new drive i downloaded ubuntu live cd on a different computer and used it to boot up computer I recognized my hard drive but wouldn t let me quot mount quot to it It also said my hard drive health as quot will fail soon quot or something like that Also Trying to recover some data from bad hard drive using usb to sata enclosure showed that I had tons of bad blocks or sectors somewhere near I went out and bought a usb to sata hard drive enclosure I put old drive in and plugged it into computer with my new drive in it In quot my computer quot it shows the old drive as drive quot e quot And in bios the hitachi is recognized The problem is when I click on the drive it tries opening or loading for several minutes and then eventually says quot E is not accessible parameter is incorrect quot It then also freezes my computer and makes me hard shutdown I downloaded ontrack easy recovery but it says I need a drive large enough to fit all the data on old drive I can use my external but I have important files on it and I don t know if those files would be wiped if I use it to recover Also when I plug both external drive and old drive into computer it freezes ontrack software So I m wondering my best options are I can not afford professional recovery I really just need the one session file folder which probably adds up to about gb Would love to recover some other stuff but it s not nearly as important When my old drive is in enclosure and quot starts up quot it doesn t make a clinking noise and sounds like it is spinning normally What can I do Thank you for responses nbsp

A:Trying to recover some data from bad hard drive using usb to sata enclosure

With that amount of problems
Also, showed that I had tons of bad blocks or sectors, somewhere near 20,000.Click to expand...

recovery of anything is unlikely
see if you can access it from a cmd prompt with admin rights, change the prompt to E:
then if that does show type
dir
see if it will show the data

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trying-to-recover-some-data-from-bad-hard-drive-using-usb-to-sata-enclosure.1145664/
Relevancy 81.27%

Hi, I am usig windows vista SP2 … I just repaired my 250 gb western digital external hard drive from an I/O device error using CHKDSK /F/X. At the end of doing this, there were a question that I don’t remember at this time that cames to my screen … and to finish with this process my answer was No. My external hard drive was repaired but I want to recover the data that I lost doing this things. How may I recover all my lost data? Please help me … I am desesperate.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-recover-my-extenal-hard-drive-erase-data.958294/
Relevancy 81.27%

Hi,
I have Western digital WD3200BEVT (SATA 320 GB) hard disk drive in my laptop. Today, it suddenly started making noise as if it is stopping after every ~3 seconds and starting again. The HDD light of my laptop started blinking. I disconnected the Hard disk and put in the USB enclosure and it was behaving the same. And I couldn't access the data anyway (neither when it was connected to laptop, not using the enclosure). And it was not recognised by the computer. I personally believe it is hardware failure.

There are lot of important personal data in that HDD and I don't have back up. Do you know if this HDD is repairable? Or, is there anyway to recover the data?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Relevancy 81.27%

I have a Lenovo IdeaCentre K desktop My hard drive ran out of room and now will not boot I tired using safe mode to delete some old files and I did recover some extra hard drive space but it still will not boot The exe file that starts the Need from to data recover files hard Lenovo drive OS appears to be hidden in a special Lenovo created partition and I am unable to find it in safe mode I hooked my hard drive to another computer using a USB Need to recover data files from Lenovo hard drive device to recover my data files but all of my data files are missing my latest saves I seems that Lenovo creates a special type of file or partition called dynamic buffer I can only assume that my most recent saves are located there and are placed on C drive when I release the dynamic buffer of course did not happen when the hard drive Need to recover data files from Lenovo hard drive became full Lenovo web site has a recovery program but if Need to recover data files from Lenovo hard drive I understand correctly it reformats the hard drive and reinstalls the OS If this is true all my data would be losted My best solution would be to be able to boot up from my hard drive I tried the OS cd to repair the boot problem but apparently it does not know where the special exe file is and nothing is fixed The second best solution would be to find a software program that can extract my data from my hard drive Anyone know of one nbsp

Relevancy 81.27%

G'day All,
I'm having a hard drive problem. My hard drive crashed I've bought a new one have loaded up windows xp pro tried connected my old drive (making a clunking noise) as a slave drive and my computer just hangs at the XP pro openning window and does not advance. If I disconnect the slave win XP opens up correctly. I can't then connect when I'm in windows as it doesn't recognise that i've connected the drive.

I'm trying to recover some data on the old drive.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated? thanks in advance.

A:Hard Drive problem - crashed and trying to recover data

the drive is falling apart right pieces sound like they have broken inside the drive am i understanding you correcty if this is so the drive inside is getting damaged but you can recover the info on it
it easier to take the hdd in to a comp store or teck and they will open up the hdd and take out the disk and put it in a machine that can read it and wala they can recover all info on the disk perviding it not to badly damaged already my cousin had this done when his apt was broken into when he was on holidays and his computer was burnt and smashed to hell he took in the drive i think it cost him like $30 dollors can. and all info was recovered from disk the easiest way

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-problem-crashed-and-trying-to-recover-data.23492/
Relevancy 81.27%

I data Need - lost partitions Hard to Drive recover just flew overseas to study abroad for a semester and brought my laptop and Hard Drive partitions lost - Need to recover data my external hard drive with me Well after I arrived I hooked up my external Hard Drive partitions lost - Need to recover data hd and fired it up but Windows wouldn t show it in My Computer so I went into diskmanager and it shows that the drive is unpartitioned It s a Maxtor gb disk and had partitions on it a FAT and two NTSF partitions But non of them show up I also tried accessing the disk through Knoppix but no luck I have files on their that I really don t want to loose how can I recover the partitions or at least get the files off and then make new partitions Also why would the drive have done this Maybe the x-ray at the airport I have partition magic would that be of any help Note I can t use Partition Magic right now because my laptop isn t booting into Windows right now but thats another problem if you want to help me with that search through my other posts I m about to start a thread for that too Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 81.27%

I have a dell M XPS laptop with Vista Yesterday the computer froze and I rebooted but when it came on it Failed Hard USB Will Drive recover work to - data went to some computer utility screen to repair the Failed Hard Drive - Will USB work to recover data computer cause it would not reboot some new vista program I went through all the steps it could not repair itself or revert to an old saved point Dell guys says the hard drive has failed and is sending a new one but I have important data on there It seems like this is a software or corrupt file error I tested the RPMs and everything on the hard drive and it is fine It failed the read tests He suggested using data savers to recover data but it looks really expensive and I dont think I need it If I connect this SATA HD to a usb converter and plug it into another computer do you think it will work so I can recover my files It might be just an issue with a windows file and won t allow it to reboot I dont hear any noises coming from the HD and think it is running fine Any help would be appreciated How much are recovery services anyway If they do or don t have to open up the hard drive nbsp

Relevancy 81.27%

Problem:--- When I connect my external USB 3.0 Western digital hard disk to my system, system is hanged. Showing that some external source is added to the system( USB icon in Tray icon ) but not able to see in the system.

Device manager recognizes it as a USB device under Hard Disk, but disk management calls it unknown and not initialized.
No drive letter is shown under my computer. There is no Symptoms like any extra sound, or spinning down, it is showing normal behavior.

Goal: Try to recover my jpgs, doc, and txt files.
It had an NTFS partition and no special software was used to maintain the external hard drive, nor was an operating system installed on it. Just basic files.If it matters, My computer is a windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit DELL laptop.

Relevancy 81.27%

Hi I am using windows bit OS I am using WINMEND FOLDER HIDDEN v to hide folders on my hard drive During my usage of the hidden folders my system crashed and upon the restart I could not find two of the folders which I hide using Winmend I can find the remaining folders which I hide Winmend software is working as before and I can access the remaining files in it But two of my folders which I unhide and was using at the time of my system crash are now not visible either on my hard drive or in the winmend software When I went calculate the hard drive partition space I found that the data was not deleted and the size is showing including the folders which I cant view How can I retrieve my data back I tried enabling 'view hidden folders' but no use Also tried the command quot attrib -h -r -s s d g quot but no use Can anyone please help me what had happened actually and suggest me what to do hidden on 7 my windows hard How in to drive data recover to recover my data It is damn important for me

A:How to recover hidden data on my hard drive in windows 7

If you have a windows 7 install disc, you could use that to explore the drives.

Why are you hiding data in the 1st place ? And if it`s important, why aren`t you backing it up.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/279646-how-recover-hidden-data-my-hard-drive-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 81.27%

Scenario My cousin just bought an HP MINI NR from good ol Best Buy He wanted to put a flavor of linux on there dreamlinux to be exact http www dreamlinux com br index html He downloaded the iso file from the website and planned on installing it onto his ntfs-formatted external hard drive gb The problem is that he accidentally installed the distro on the entire hard drive as opposed to a separate partition As a result he has lost all of his data images videos docs etc about GB Is there any way that he can recover this information off of his external hdd I am pretty sure that linux reformats the hdd to ext or something similar so reformatted data external possible drive to it Is from recover hard i don t know if there is any hope because usually reformating completely wipes the hard drive if I m not mistaken NOTE Now when he plugs in his external hard drive it shows up as a cd-rom image see attached image I have tried Is it possible to recover data from reformatted external hard drive the recovery program Recuva but it only seems to recognize hdd s and won t let me scan the quot CD-ROM quot I am using teamviewer to check out his pc at the moment in case any of you experts need more info about the pc Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you very much Please let me know if you need any more pertinent information EDIT I have attached another image from his pc s Disk Management utility It shows DISK as being the actual hard drive with almost the full hdd available AND it shows the cd-rom as something separate

A:Is it possible to recover data from reformatted external hard drive

He most likely can....BUT... itll cost ALOT of money. The hard drive will most likely have to be shipped to a professional with a dust free environment where he will open the drive and pull info from it.

If it is reformatted the information is most likely written over and gone, but ya never know, if he has about 800-1500 to dump on a hard drive, go for it, but I would just assume it is gone.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/185577/is-it-possible-to-recover-data-from-reformatted-external-hard-drive/
Relevancy 81.27%

Hello Everyone help advice needed please I have a HP laptop that had TB c drive i from Drive Hard Data been thats Recover Faulty partitioned partitioned it into two further drives Drive E and Drive F both had been assigned a drive letter weeks ago my laptops hard drive became faulty and i sent it off to repair with Knowhow I asked my data to be recovered before they put in a new one So what they did was only save what was on my C drive which was hardly anything and NOTHING of my other two important drives Recover Data from Faulty Hard Drive thats been partitioned E F was saved at all I phoned them up and spoke to the IT section and they said they will send the faulty hard drive back and for me to return it back to them via the store with an external hard drive so it can be recovered so what i want to know is can the data be recovrerd as EVERYTHING was saved on those two drives I have been told various things One said it cant be recovered because the main C drive was partitioned and someone else said it can be i do regular backups but since begining of this year i have not been able to as i was hospitalised in ICU and everything i did before that i didnt manage to backup and now i fear all that has been lost can anyone reassure me that it will be recovwred

A:Recover Data from Faulty Hard Drive thats been partitioned

As long as the 3 partitions where not over-written by "Knowhow" the data should all be intact and readable to the extent that the drive is readable..

when you get your old HDD back - purchase a HDD to USB external adapter - and you should be able to access the data..
to copy it over to another HDD > that is what they are going to do..

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/65909-recover-data-faulty-hard-drive-thats-been-partitioned.html
Relevancy 81.27%

Hi My friend has a HP Pavilion dv t CTO Laptop with factory installed Windows Hard & the Reboot BSOD! Drive data from to How recover bit The Laptop is only months old I guess after recent auto update of Windows he started getting Blue Screen I have read most of the threads here in this Forum plus few others amp tried to solve the issue without any success All the Recovery Options under F to F failed to sort out the trouble The machine will not start in safe mode also When I am connecting the HD after taking out from BSOD! How to recover the data from Hard Drive & Reboot the machine to another Laptop I can see there are partitions - System G Local Disk H Recovery I HP Tools J this is FAT quot H quot partition is the main partition amp cannot be read Have made a recovery CD from my own laptop bit Win amp tried to recover - no joy I am using a software called quot Damaged Partition Recovery quot by MiniTool Solution Ltd amp can see all the original files amp folders which are residing in the damaged partition But am scared that if I recover the files format the bad partition amp reinstall the HD in the Laptop it may not work I need BSOD! How to recover the data from Hard Drive & Reboot some suggestion as to how to go about it Which are the files which needs to be recovered amp reinstalled in the fresly formatted disk to get back the original OS up amp running I am not a computer literate guy so a BSOD! How to recover the data from Hard Drive & Reboot step by step guide is much appreciated Thanks a Lot in advance

A:BSOD! How to recover the data from Hard Drive & Reboot

Thanks Prett!
The partition does exists, but it is not accessible. I have recovered the entire content of the damaged partition by using the minitool to another external drive but wondering how to reinstall the recovered data (which also contains OS) so that my laptop boots.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/185026-bsod-how-recover-data-hard-drive-reboot.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I have a FULL Seagate Barracuda tb internal hard drive that just stopped working that I would like to recover the data My big road block in data. not drive Hard Trying died, to recover still but spins recognized. trying to recover the data myself is that my computer is not recognizing that the drive is connected It has not been physically damaged and has not left the computer in the months that I ve had it besides for the rare occasion I add a new Hard drive died, still spins but not recognized. Trying to recover data. part to my computer It is under warranty so whatever I do I would like not to void the warranty so I can have it replaced once I get the date Here is what happened Last night when I tried to move a file to my hard drive it was really slow and and kept giving me errors It finally worked and I started watching the file from the hard drive on my media player Half way through my media player gave me all kinds of errors and the file stopped working After closing my media player I saw that my hard drive seemed to have been disconnected It did not show up in quot My Computer quot I tried rebooting taking the hard drive out and putting it back in and switching which bay I had it in I have a case that allows for hot swapping None of this has worked When I put it in the computer you can hear it working all normal noises no bad ticking or anything It slows freezes up the computer as the computer seems to be trying to read the hard drive but after awhile it seems like it gives up and the computer returns back to normal without recognizing the hard drive I took it to a local computer shop and they confirmed that it now a dead drive They said they should be Hard drive died, still spins but not recognized. Trying to recover data. able to recover the data off the hard drive and put it on another drive for or if it proves to be difficult This is a lot better then the flat fee that Seagate would charge Hard drive died, still spins but not recognized. Trying to recover data. because its under warranty and a hell of a lot better then the to they would charge if it wasn t under warranty But since they both say they should be able to recover the data from it I have to assume there is a way for me to do it from home I have OnTrack EasyRecovery Professional on my computer but I just need a way to get my computer to recognize the drive If anyone can help me I would be greatly appreciative nbsp

A:Hard drive died, still spins but not recognized. Trying to recover data.

Hi zaphenomenalone and welcome to TSG.

Does the hard drive show up in the Bios ? Does it show up in Disk Management ?

Please download and run this TSG hardware utility and paste the result into your next post :-
http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-died-still-spins-but-not-recognized-trying-to-recover-data.1114546/
Relevancy 80.41%

What distro of Linux is the best for booting from and recovering data from an otherwise inaccessible hard drive? I've heard Knoppix is good but in there link I wasn't exactly sure which one I wanted to download, for example what is meant by boot only version? ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/knoppix-dvd/

A:Booting from Linux CD to recover data from busted hard drive

Knoppix is good and so is an Ubuntu disk.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/booting-from-linux-cd-to-recover-data-from-busted-hard-drive.189904/
Relevancy 80.41%

Hello everyone I recently needed to to Drive Hard Data! Need Corrupt/Semi-Formatted Recover - boot to the Command Prompt on my Windows HP Laptop I used the Corrupt/Semi-Formatted Hard Drive - Need to Recover Data! recovery disks I made thinking I could access the CMD from there like I had read online Not finding anything at the main recovery menu screen I clicked on System Reset Restore to attempt to get to CMD from there Ive done a full factory reset times in the past so I didnt plan to actually format my Hard Drive while trying to boot to CMD However I clicked the next button Corrupt/Semi-Formatted Hard Drive - Need to Recover Data! one to many times and without much warning System Restore started to format my main HD I held the power button down to force shut down the computer and stop formatting but I knew damage had already been done I would assume that the formatting I did just erased the file system necessarily to access the actual information without actually erasing much of my files I took the HD out of my laptop and put it Corrupt/Semi-Formatted Hard Drive - Need to Recover Data! into an external enclosure attempting to access the info from another computer the drive shows up but there is no size for it and when opening it it requires another format before it can be viewed If I boot my laptop with the damaged drive in it it will say quot error loading operating system quot so it des recognize that the drive has an OS installed on it Is there any way to recover the files on the HD Im not sure how the file system itself works but it seems like it would be possible to write a file system back onto the HD without destroying its contents Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks nbsp

A:Corrupt/Semi-Formatted Hard Drive - Need to Recover Data!

Are you positive that it was "formatting"? There isn't usually a format when using the recovery partition for recovery, or the recovery disks. Did it actually say "formatting"?

I suppose it doesn't much matter because even if it had started to restore the disk image, the results would have been almost the same.

About all you can do is scan with recovery software and see if anything remains. You really should try that before messing with the file system or partitions in case all ends up lost.

Files that are not backed up are files you should expect to lose.

The trouble is that anything that would try to "rebuild" what was on the disk would need to include the data that is no longer present to create accurate structures, like an MFT or boot record. But try everything.

Free:

Using TestDisk To Repair Corrupted MFT, Repair NTFS Boot Sector (or build a new one if both are corrupted), Or Create Or Restore Boot Sector Backups.

Paragon Rescue Kit
Parted Magic (The best boot CD. Includes data recovery to CD/DVD, network, or USB, Testdisk for partition recovery, audio tests, and much more)
Testdisk Documentation
Testdisk Download
Minitool Partition Recovery
Easeus Partition Recovery
Diskinternals Partition Recovery
Partition Wizard Boot CD
DriveRescue
Testdisk Boot Disk
Partition Find & Mount
Free DTIData NTFS Partition Repair Tool

Commercial:

Diskinternals Partition Recovery (Demo)
[email protected] Partition Recovery
Bootmaster Partition Recovery
ZAR Partition Recovery
DIY DataRecovery DiskPatch
Partition Table Doctor

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/corrupt-semi-formatted-hard-drive-need-to-recover-data.1060179/
Relevancy 80.41%

how do i recover data on a failed hard drive

Relevancy 80.41%

Help Ok a few weeks ago I got enraged with my laptop Fuj-Siem Amilo Pro and thumped it with my hand right near the lower center - presumably where the hard drive is and well it froze up -after reboot and I got some BSOD blue screen of death message Anyways I ran the recovery console recovered about of my files with chkdsk r after hours and though it did not complete it still rebooted and I was able to boot windows and use my computer so HD data dead hard from to on Recover drive external and dump after two days of successful startups I was trying to repair and re-install the files that were not recovered like MS office stuff Itunes etc when it froze - and I waited for minutes before I had no choice but to turn off at the mains I turned the power back on when I got a quot disk read error press alt Recover data from dead HD and dump on to external hard drive ctrl etc quot and have sincxe tried everything you can do in recovery console to sort it fixmbr fixboot chkdsk said it was fine chkdsk r p - every command relative to the situation when running the recovery console before the DOS recognized my windows installation C Windows now it just says C gt or something like that I went to buy an external hard rive USB Maxtor GB and want to know how I can get the files on this USB drive I need to get that DATA back - and the Recovery console is not going to repair again - stays a for hours and I just want to get this stuff off somehow onto Recover data from dead HD and dump on to external hard drive the HDD nbsp

A:Recover data from dead HD and dump on to external hard drive

try getting your hands on a 'live cd' like Ubuntu or something.

you have to boot your system from the disc, usually by pressing an 'f' key as soon as you press the power button (on my tosh its f12). then select boot from cd, instead of from the hard drive.

you will probably need to have your external drive attached before you start in order for the 'live OS' to recognise it.

then you should be able to view and perhaps even copy your files to the external hdd. you should even be able to format the original hard drive from here too, then you can re-install windows.

lastly try an anger management course. this really was a bit of a rookie error, wasn't it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recover-data-from-dead-hd-and-dump-on-to-external-hard-drive.109310/
Relevancy 80.41%

I have two hard drives on a computer. I started reformatting the secondary drive, which doesn't have the operating system on it, and realized soon after I started that it has some important data on it. It had barely started when I cancelled it. Now the drive needs to be formatted to be used. Is there a program that can recover deleted data from an unformatted hard drive?

Relevancy 80.41%

I recently transported my external 1TB Simpletech drive to a friends house to transfer some .avi files.

When i returned home and re connected to my computer the drive wouldn't be detected "J: is not accessible. The File or directory is corrupted or unreadable.

I found a good recovery program. Power Data Recovery 4.1.1 it is fairly fast depending on the amount of data recovered. At least i can reformat and see if it happens again. If it does I will be taking it back

You can find the software on torrent sites if you don't want to pay for it

A:possible to recover data from simpletech hard drive that computer won't recognize

You can find the software on torrent sites if you don't want to pay for it Click to expand...

It is against forum rules to discuss torrents or P2P file sharing, sorry.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/possible-to-recover-data-from-simpletech-hard-drive-that-computer-wont-recognize.876169/
Relevancy 78.69%

Long story short I shipped a lenovo x for not will data? boot, sectors, hdd bad to how Failing or recover mobo repacement with the HDD I got it back but windows bsod on boot I found out this was a conflicting driver issue due to the new motherboard so I used a tool in hires boot CD to resetthe hard disk controller or something like that Win then booted and I reinstalled all the system drivers and updated windows Worked great for Two days until I had HDD failure warnings from windows and crystal disk info I ran chkdsk and it fixed some things and then crystal diskinfo only Failing hdd or bad sectors, will not boot, how to recover data? sshowed a warning current pending sector count Next day it won't boot Startup repair hangs Failing hdd or bad sectors, will not boot, how to recover data? and fails to fix problems and safe mode doesn't boot Its definitely a HDD issue but I dont know if it's physical since theres no clicking sounds fine I know there are a bunch of bad sectors and I can't boot I tried using a USB sata adapter but my other win XP machine says I need to format it to view the drive which I didn't of course In hiren's it shows the HDD and its correct size and partitions but it cant open or explore it i also viewed the smart data and it says its failed because of pending sector count and reallcoated sector count What's weird is I can view all the files and file structure and everything only using the quot disk genius quot tool in hirens mini XP mode but not in windows explorer I tried creating a full image but both acronis and macrium threw read errors Right now I'm running a disk rescue DD program thats supposed to skip the unreadable sectors and hopefully recover some of the data I have a new HDD coming but it to be shipped I am using a tb external HDD to put the DD image I am wondering how come I am able to see the disk in disk genius but not anywhere else Should I try and make a backup using disk genius My plan was to make a clone of it then format and Zero write it to see if the drive is physically dying but I can't clone it because of the bad sectors and I can't boot I dont have the windows installation disk and my data and the is are on the same partition I believe What do I do If I can still see the files in disk genius does that mean there is a good chance of recovering some files I am wondering if the bad sectors that are preventing me from imaging or cloning the drive might just be affecting replaceable movie files large steam game files I have Is it possible to make an image and put it on a new drive Help I apologize for the spelling I'm using my phone for the time being

A:Failing hdd or bad sectors, will not boot, how to recover data?

first of all lets address the elephant in the room.. why oh why do you not back up your stuff!??? usb flash drives are cheap as chips and blank dvds are even cheaper.. theres very little excuse these days not to have a backup to stop this situation ever arising !

now this is a last ditch effort but a proven one. stick your hard drive in the freezer for a good few hours, and then try and clone it. it often gives dying hard drives chance to work until the heat up as normal.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/316325-failing-hdd-bad-sectors-will-not-boot-how-recover-data.html
Relevancy 78.69%

We've got a ZBook 17 where the PCIe SSD drive has failed. As it is the boot drive where the OS lives, I was wondering if anyone knew of the best way to get data off of such a drive. Are there external enclosures that support this kind of drive, and are they available to Joe Tech, or do we need to rely on data recovery services to do this? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance, Dave

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/ZBook-17-PCIe-SSD-failing-how-to-recover-data/td-p/5658616
Relevancy 72.67%

Ok so first off let me say I regret ever going to the stupid Geek Squad to fix my computer at all I understand it instantly makes me an object of Recover hard "dead" from drive? data ridicule However I am a jerk and usually can t fix my computer myself So A few months ago my computer was acting all sorts of wonky taking forever to boot up refusing to run simple programs taking forever to connect to the internet wouldn t run even a simple YouTube video etc etc As I desperately needed the computer for school I had an online class about to start I caved and took it to Geek Squad They told me the hard drive was dead and needed to be replaced They also told me it would cost about for data recovery I didn t have any Recover data from "dead" hard drive? this was all done under warranty so I told them to just go ahead and fix it Fast forward a week or two I m at Best Buy picking it up Geek Squad Sign here Oh and here s your discs Me Discs What discs Geek Squad The discs you dropped off when you dropped off the computer Me I didn t drop off any discs Geek Squad Well they were with your computer when we got it Come to find out my two darling sons ages two and four shoved a couple discs into the DVD drive at the same time and without my knowledge Hence my computer did NOT need a new hard drive I m assuming because my kids just clogged it up by trying to force two discs to run at the same time Rather than check this before they ran their diagnostic tests Geek Squad simply chose to say quot failed hard drive quot and replace it Now I m stuck without all my old data I insisted they give me the old hard drive back and they did My question to you all is Is it possible for me to pull the data somehow off this quot dead quot hard drive Or is it possible for me to just put it back in the computer but still keep all the data programs etc I ve been doing a little research and it seems easy enough ha but once I get to that whole quot set it to slave or master quot part I get confused I don t want to screw up the hard drive that the Geek Squad put on here when they replaced it but it would be nice to have all the old data also the old hard drive had a recovery drive D drive for such problems as this so I don t know why they felt it necessary to swap out the entire drive I did make a set of system recovery discs for the old hard drive and I still have them but that didn t include any of my data I m running XP on an HP a n desktop apparently with an ATI hard drive newly installed Any takers nbsp

Relevancy 67.94%

hello,
I have problem with my hard disk's chip of my laptop. How do i recover all datas from it.
Thank you.

A:Recover data from hard disk.

You've not exactly explained the situation very well.
are you saying the laptop is broken or the hard drive itself. "hard discs chip" doesn't mean anything in any lingo lol.

if its the laptop at fault you can buy a usb 2.5" caddy place the hard drive in it and use another computer to recover all of your data and files.

if the hard drive has failed and no longer works, theres little you can do. you could try a caddy like above, placing it in the freezer is an old trick to gain a small amount of life from a dying drive.

I dont mean to go on.. but this is why EVERYONE should back up their data regularly. harddrive failures shouldnt result in manic.. it should be "oh well its all safe on another drive/disc/flash drive" ect

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/318484-recover-data-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I had a 400 MB HDD partitioned in 3 parts. Since the last 3 years the HDD was working fine. One day, the computer simply froze at windows XP boot screen. I restarted the machine quite a few times , but it use to freeze at the Windows loading screen of XP.

Then I removed the HDD and loaded win XP on another HDD 160 GB and made it the primary device. Now when I try to connect the earlier HDD as a secondary slave, the system just freezes and as soon as I disconnet the HDD from the cable, the system starts functioning.

I have a lot of data in the 400 MB HDD. Need to recover the data which is there in D and E partition.

Can anyone tell me the process with which I can recover the data from the old HDD ?

Relevancy 67.94%

My T61 is not booting. Can I take out the hard disk and pop it in any HDD and read it from a different computer to recover the data?

Solved!
Go to Solution.

A:recover hard disk data

Yes, assuming it is not password protected

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T61-and-prior-T-series/recover-hard-disk-data/td-p/2270265
Relevancy 67.08%

I want to copy my data on my Dell that wont start and I can enter command prompt. So can I copy my data to my external drive??
Thank you for any advice..

A:How do i copy my data from the failing drive to my external drive?

Depending on the accessibility status of the hard drive and presuming that its a non booting Windows (not mentioned), try using a Puppy Linux bootable disc and then connect or mount your external to access and copy your data. The tutorial link would give you all the needed information when  working in Linux OS environment.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/516885/how-do-i-copy-my-data-from-the-failing-drive-to-my-external-drive/
Relevancy 67.08%

I m desperate here really need some ideas We offer B amp B accommodation at home All our bookings until October were on the hard disk That hard disk no longer works It does need disk, Help! I data!! recover to Broken hard not boot the computer nor can it be accessed from another computer I took it to the shop where I bought it and they were unable to get it to work The disk turns but for some reason is Help! Broken hard disk, I need to recover data!! not recognized Then the message comes up asking if we want to format it The problem began this morning when the computer got blocked up I rebooted and got a message about a missing or corrupt ntfs sys file in system drivers the OS is Windows XP Professional I tried all the suggestions I found like trying to restore from CD etc but to no avail According to the shop where I bought it the disk is a MAXTOR HD there is something defective Is there any way to recover this data I really need to or else we cannot make any more bookings Would the manufacturer be able to do so Are there services that might be able to help nbsp

Relevancy 67.08%

Hello I have recently bought a TB Seagate external hard disk It worked very good Some days ago I had to format my computer and reinstall windows so I saved my important data on from hard External data disk Recover the external hard disk Accidentally I did the format while the hard disk was connected to the computer I tried to connect the hard disk to my other computer Recover data from External hard disk a massage popped up saying quot Seagate storage device was successfully installed and ready to be used quot but I couldn t find it in quot My Computer quot Then I went to My Computer-Manage-Disk Management and there I saw the hard disk but it was Unallocated I tried to activate it and then I saw it on My Computer However when I double clicked on it A massage saying quot This drive is not formatted would you like to format it now quot popped up I said NO and then tried some file recovery programs but with no success The only program that worked was quot VirtualLab quot It found the files all of them but I couldn t save them because I had to buy the program I Tried the quot Recuva quot software but when I tried to scan the hard disk Recuva said quot Unable to read boot sector quot Please I really need to recover my files from there There are some Medical Documents there for my sisters surgery Help me up please nbsp

A:Recover data from External hard disk

$40 is actually a very good price if the program can see and promises to recover all the files you need. Free software is free software; sometimes it works fine and sometimes you get what you pay for, especially with data recovery. The ones I would have suggested cost significantly more (GetDataBack and Easeus Recovery Wizard).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recover-data-from-external-hard-disk.869989/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hii everyone I have a Western Digital blue GB internal SATA HDD which showed bad hard disk in Hard recover sectors? of How with bad to Disk many data startup repair It does not shows in disk management or device manager when connected via USB port But shows status as quot online quot in diskpart when connected via SATA port amp when I enter startup How to recover data of Hard Disk with many bad sectors? tools using windows installation disk The SMART test fails in BIOS when hard disk is connected internally I How to recover data of Hard Disk with many bad sectors? want to recover the data of this hard disk because it is utmost important for me The hard disk is spinning normally and not making any clicking noise Also I checked via a software called 'Hard Disk Sentinel' How to recover data of Hard Disk with many bad sectors? that it has about bad sectors amp showed health amp days remaining Is there any possibility of getting my data back If yes then how I'm just a student amp the data recovery experts take a huge amount in recovering data Please suggest all possible solutions for recovering data Thank You

A:How to recover data of Hard Disk with many bad sectors?

Utmost important data, along with the OS partition, is best backed up at least weekly if not bi-weekly onto trustworthy external media. Where are your backups? If no backups, a local recovery expert working in a serious-minded business-oriented computer fix-it place will probably be your best bet.
Have you ever used any kind of recovery software before? Rule one: whatever you decide to use must not write anything anywhere onto the hard-drive.
There are several very good recovery programs available:
MiniTool Power Data Recovery, Piriform's Recova, EaseUS Data Recovery, and many more. I have pay-for versions, however, you might get results with one or two free versions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/399176-how-recover-data-hard-disk-many-bad-sectors.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi Recently my GB Seagate Hard Disk faced to Disk Bad Hard recover a from Sata Need data a problem and had to be replaced Am running Win x on my new TB WD Hard Disk However there was some important and slightly sensitive data that I still want to recover from my old Sata Hard Disk Chronology of events before replacement Mid-July Hard Disk was working fine I had Need to recover data from a Bad Sata Hard Disk to go out of town for a month PC was not being used during that period Aug - I returned home but PC refused to boot Even the BIOS screen or the name of the motherboard does not appear Just a blank screen After a couple of hours of replugging in all the hardware and power cables the PC booted and worked normally Aug - PC refused to boot repeated the same procedure of unplugging the hardware etc but this time i noticed that one of the connectors of my hard disk appeared slightly chipped off at the edge cant remember if its the power connector or the sata connector PC Need to recover data from a Bad Sata Hard Disk worked normally after a couple of hours of playing around with the hardware Aug - PC Need to recover data from a Bad Sata Hard Disk was freezing every mouse click was taking a couple of minutes to respond I tried rebooting but the faced the same problem as the previous two times Unplugged the HardDisk and used an old IDE hard disk to figure out if its indeed the hard disks problem The old IDE hard disk worked I went and purchased a new SATA hard disk which works fine now absolutely no issues But i wanted some of my data from the old disk so I tried connecting the old Hard Disk back but cant get it to boot at all Most of the time it does not even give the start up quot BEEP quot sound which my motherboard usually makes on boot But after several attempts I could reach the BIOS part but after that instead of loading windows it just reaches a blank screen with an Underscore flashing on the top left of the screen Also tried using the SATA as a secondary storage to my other IDE old hard disk Strangely my IDE is not loading windows either After the BIOS screen it says quot failed to read from the boot device quot Is there anyway I can recover the data from my old SATA

A:Need to recover data from a Bad Sata Hard Disk

Partition Wizard Bootable CD allows user to manage partition directly with partition manager bootable CD.
Free download Magic Partition Manager Software, partition magic alternative, free partition magic, partition magic Windows 7 and server partition software - Partition Wizard Online (last one "bootable CD"). Download it and burn it. Boot from DVD. Does it see the SATA-disk? Does it see all partitions?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/248097-need-recover-data-bad-sata-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I have 3 SCSI Hard Disks... Configured in RAID 5...
now i wanted to install Windows Server 2003 on it so i booted the server from the HP Start Smart Cd and then partitioned it and then installed. But then after completing the installation successfully i came to know that i need to have backed up certain folders also that i didnt do. I used Easeus software to recover the whole partition and it recovered 246 GB of data which is useless...
There are many excel, word files that appear in different versions and then any file doesnt open..
I want some help on this...

THank You

Syed Mohammed Sirajuddin

A:What to do if the hard disk is formatted and we need to recover the data?

the best software i would recommend is Easy Recovery Professional ==>as far as i have experienced, they have the BEST

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-to-do-if-the-hard-disk-is-formatted-and-we-need-to-recover-the-data.928067/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi,
I have a WD1002FAEX (WD Black 1TB) that has started to show signs of failure. A few months ago it would load larger files slowly and buffer sometimes when watching videos. As of this week though, it's loading everything slowly and even SD video buffers every few seconds. It does not appear any data is corrupted, as I haven't had any files that did not play/work (despite freezing/buffering all the time).

What is my absolute safest option to get my data copied to elsewhere? **** the drive itself, I can RMA it, I just need my data safe and sound.

A:Failing drive; best way to transfer off data?

Hello Mark,

If able, the safest way would be a straight copy and paste of any files or folders you do not want to lose to another hard drive.

Hope this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/283491-failing-drive-best-way-transfer-off-data.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I accidentally deleted my Western Digital Hard Disk Volume,i created a new one (screenshot),though the hard disk is empty,everything is missing.

Unfortunately this is my storage E:\ and i had\have very important files on it.

I am not good with this,i never had a similar problem,so PLEASE HELP!!!

A:Undelete Hard disk Volume and recover data!

Hello there panais,

You can try Easeus's Data Recovery Wizard:-

Free Download hard drive data recovery software tools for FAT & NTFS Drive Recovery - EaseUS

Here's the guide for it:-

Recover deleted, lost partitions or hard drives. Hard Disk Partition Recovery software.

Hope that helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/240221-undelete-hard-disk-volume-recover-data.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I have downloaded the entire documents from my Google drive to my computer system, but accidentally deleted my important files like document, photo, etc through shift+del keys in my hard drive. So, I was worried that valuable my documents. My friend suggested me to use Windows data recovery tool, easy and fast data recovery software to easily recover your valuable documents. http://www.harddrivedatarecoverys.com/

A:How To Recover Deleted Documents & Photos Data From My Hard ...

Get complete solution to recover deleted photos, songs, official data and many more items, with the help of effective hard drive data recovery tool. http://www.troubleshootwindows.com/misc/review-systools-hard-drive-data-recovery-for-windows/

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/How-To-Recover-Deleted-Documents-amp-Photos-Data-From-My/td-p/3391741
Relevancy 66.22%

i have drives that are going bad and i wonder if anyone can help with ideas or know which programs best to recover the data in these situations seagate G AS - this one makes ticking noise like a bomb lol every minute or so and every few minutes it makes the ping sound like if you were snapping a rubber band on someone this one from data on bad to seeking 2 how drives advice recover hard is still under warranty so yay to seagate s yr warranty but i am having a hard time getting data off of the drive after putting it in the freezer for a day i put it in of the pc s and it just stalls windows after a while windows tells me that a removable device the bad hard drive in this case has been unplugged or ejected and it doesnt show up in windows at all the WD G AS seeking advice on how to recover data from 2 bad hard drives - this one is not under warranty it doesnt make the ticking noise like the other drive but i also have no luck getting the data off of it either I also tried putting in the freezer and then hook it up to the pc during POST before windows is started when the system lists the hard drives being connected I notice that all other drives say OK but with this one it says BAD And then windows prompts me to run chkdsk on it it checks and stalls at forever so i shut it down and rebooted this time i chose not to do chkdsk and finally got into windows albeit very slowly i see that windows assigns it letter D but w o any description so i tried to format it and then if that were successful i can try to retrieve the data via getdatabackntfs but after hours of formatting it finished but with an error and thus not formattable sorry for the long winded background story but it s meant to show what steps i have already done if there are any apps ways out there you guys know to get data off please let me know Thanks in advance BTW has anyone have tried spinrite and hdd regenerator with much success nbsp

A:seeking advice on how to recover data from 2 bad hard drives

First off, make sure your Seagate isn't part of this firmware fiasco with Seagate. If it is..you might be able to get free data recovery for that drive under Seagates warranty.

Have you researched "SpinRite" It might be able to save that WD hdd. Check it out

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/seeking-advice-on-how-to-recover-data-from-2-bad-hard-drives.792108/
Relevancy 66.22%

I ve got a Creative Nomad Zen Xtra gig version Well it s messed up It froze No big deal this happens alot so I take the battery out Usually this makes it reboot and things go back to normal Well this time the Zen decided to be destroyed instead Whenever it starts up I get four options Clean Up Format all Reload the OS Reboot does nothing if I try it says quot Harddisk problem quot causes the MP player to reboot but to no effect Player work, data... the recover MP3 Hard Disk won't need to as it just goes back to this screen I obviously haven t tried as my entire objective is to recover the contents of the hard drive I ve got LOTS of Hard Disk MP3 Player won't work, need to recover the data... stuff on this Zen I bought a gig Zen just so it could hold alot of stuff and I d be extremely pissed if I had to lose it all Are there any ideas of what I could do to try and recover the contents of the drive I m willing to try anything The Zen s under warranty so whatever happens as long as I get a chance to back-up the hard drive Which I probably should have done before now I can just then send it in to get a new one But I really need to get that data nbsp

Relevancy 66.22%

My DELL Inspiron N5010 15R, Harddisk WDC WD5000BEVT-75A0RT0 is not starting up. While diagnostic test performed by pressing F12 at startup I am getting an Error Code 2000-0146 Hard drive-DST Short test Fail.
What I am really worried about is losing my data as I did not take any back up of it. What should I do? In case I have to replace my harddisk is there any way to recover my data before replacing my harddisk.

Relevancy 66.22%

Hi,
i have a 4 gb pen drive, with very important data in it. But suddenly i got a message that ''it need to be formatted before use''.
i understand that pen drive is corrupted, i tried to recover data by many softwares but they cannot recognize the partition as well.
I thought that a format might be solve that issue....
But after format pen drive works and data cannot be seen/recover by any software at all.
I again say that it contains very important data and i dont want to loss it, so kindly show me a way plssssssssss.............

A:recover pen drive data

You could try an "unformat" utility. Did you by any chance change the format to/from NTFS and FAT32 with a quick format? I did that on one of mine and it lost data even though there was nothing wrong with it. Those drives are not for permanent important data. It's more like convenience. The electrical connections going in and out of those little chips get funky and your data is gone. Not reliable. In fact I'd trust an old 3 1/2" floppy diskette over a USB pen drive... at least for the first couple of months.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/78444-recover-pen-drive-data.html
Relevancy 66.22%

HP4560US
winXP home
Hitachi 2.5" drive 40gig
NTFS

My 40 gig drive was 99% full and then I put way too many pictures in it, when I shut down it asked me if I would like to compress.
I answered yes and left it overnight.

The next morning it would not boot.

It never booted again, all attempts to view my files from the computer or an external cage are a not.

Is there a way to uncompress?

A:Trying To Recover Data From A Drive

Hello Martel,

If the hard drive wont boot and can't be read by an external system then there are severe problems with the drive. Sending it of to data recovery specialists might be the only option. Do you have the original system? If so you could try using a Linux live CD to boot the system.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/155197/trying-to-recover-data-from-a-drive/
Relevancy 65.79%

I have read that the normal drive erase is not a good idea for SSD's. I have also read that most SSD manufacturers should have a utility that will allow you to force it to flush deleted data. Does anyone know if this is available thru Lenovo. The SSD controller is a Jmicron but I did not see any utilities on their website.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-U-and-S-Series-Notebooks/Secure-erase-deleted-data-for-a-SSD-drive-in-a-Lenovo-U300s/td-p/3325441
Relevancy 65.79%

My Lacie portable hard drive suddenly stopped working, making a whirring noise and then stopping but not being recognised by the pc anymore. Bought a Sumvision Egen SATA USB enclosure as advised but this doesnt seem to work either. Computer recognises the enclosure but when attached to old SATA drive it no longer recognises it. Is the next step data recovery or are there are any suggestions? I am working on Vista

A:Issues accessing data on Lacie Drive

Sounds like the drive has died, if so software data recovery will not work, you might have to ship it to a professional data recovery house, not cheap at all.

Does it spin up when connected to the enclosure?

Have you connected it directly to a motherboard in a PC?

Some sata II drives have a jumper setting to limit the speed to 1.5gb/s, you might try this setting if it has it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/issues-accessing-data-on-lacie-drive.868796/
Relevancy 65.79%

A friend brought me her computer It is a Sony Vasio Laptop model PCG- K L It and take to do a failing drive move new Vista hard old How it hard I off my drive? has a Hitachi GB RPM SATA HDD that has failed do How do I take Vista off my old failing hard drive and move it to a new hard drive? to physical damage How do I take Vista off my old failing hard drive and move it to a new hard drive? she dropped it Is it possible to move all the data including the Vista Home Premium OS from the old HDD to a new HDD so she doesn t have to buy a new OS She s had the computer for awhile and doesn t have any restore or repair disks I happen to have a Vista repair disk from an old laptop Am I able to install the repair disk on the new HDD and then use the product key on the underside of her computer to install Vista Thanks for your help If this topic has been covered successfully in this forum in the past just link me to it I tried looking but am not exactly sure how to phrase the search question I ve looked but not satisfied with what I have been finding Thanks nbsp

A:How do I take Vista off my old failing hard drive and move it to a new hard drive?

In spite of the physical damage you can still read the hard drive? Try cloning the drive or imaging the needed partitions. I use Macrium Reflect Free. Easeus Todo Backup is another free one, and there are lots more.

Am I able to install the repair disk on the new HDD and then use the product key on the underside of her computer to install Vista?Click to expand...

Only if the "repair disk" is a Vista installation DVD. Repair disks just include the Recovery Console programs (I probably don't have the correct term there) to fix issues with booting and startup, etc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-take-vista-off-my-old-failing-hard-drive-and-move-it-to-a-new-hard-drive.1108349/
Relevancy 65.79%

My hard drive started making funny clicking noises and the pc pitstop checkup gave me a response time of 77ms and a warning that it could expire shortly. So i bought a new 80 gb hard drive, installed it, partitioned it no problem, but i now want to swap all the data from my old hard drive to my new one (os and all), and then junk the old drive.
How can i do this without spending money on software that i will probably only use once or twice.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

the pipster

A:How can i copy my failing 8gb hard drive to my new 80gb hard drive?

For free:

XXClone
HDClone (free edition only smaller to larger)
DriveClonerXP
PCI CloneMaxx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-can-i-copy-my-failing-8gb-hard-drive-to-my-new-80gb-hard-drive.404558/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hey there guys about six months ago I started receiving an error every few days on my computer on boot and it was something along the lines of 'pxe-rom Check cable connection ' To fix it I just used my Windows install CD and it was fine until whenever it'd happen again Now just about three days ago an error popped up that said 'Windows has problem. detected Windows Hard drive hard has a failing? disk detected a hard disk problem' The hard drive is a GB Toshiba MK GSXN Anyway after Windows has detected a hard disk problem. Hard drive failing? getting that message I quickly backed up all of my important documents and stuff onto an external HDD It was also very slow slower than my computer had ever been So I decided to do a clean install since scans with Malwarebytes and AVG detected nothing And then once it finished it popped up the error message again I have noticed that the slowness has gone but I'm not installing any programs in case it does fail I am wondering that maybe the 'check cable connection' error was telling me something but I didn't think anything of it So does it sound like I need to get a new hard drive EDIT I bought a new hard drive fixed

A:Windows has detected a hard disk problem. Hard drive failing?

In many cases, that is Windows way of saying your hard drive is in imminent danger of failing. Of course there could be other problems, but windows will usually detect it first. A tutorial that may help is simple to use, but may take a while. Disk Check I would also get the Manufacturer's hard drive diagnostic program to check the drive. You were wise to back up all of your personal information.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/271067-windows-has-detected-hard-disk-problem-hard-drive-failing.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I am having windows 7 ultimate and i installed windows xp sp 2. I m able to use both windows 7 and windows xp and i even have a backup of my bcd by easybcd. But foolishly i changed the active drive from windows 7 (in C) to other drive where xp is installed. But suddenly after that my other logical drive became unpartitioned. It happened suddenly in seconds. Now i don't know how to recover my data from my unpartitioned drive. In disk management it shows to create new simple volume.
I haven't repartitioned or formatted the drive till now.
Please someone help me.

A:Recover data from unpartitioned drive

I don't know any free software that could do the job, I use StellarPhoenix Data recovery and more then satisfied with results in cases like this.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/558841/recover-data-from-unpartitioned-drive/
Relevancy 65.36%

Installed Norton System works had a major problem,( go back sucks ) had to install new hard drive.....But I am trying to recover my old data from hard drive via a sata external hard drive kit.

Used one before and plugged old drive in, recognized it fine. I was able to get the data out. Now I have a fresh operating system and tried to use the usb connection for the drive, PC recognized it installed it, but its nowhere to be found in my computer.I looked in disk management it recognized it says ACTIVE, only gives me delete partition option. I am stuck, I really need the data off of that drive. Can anyone offer any suggestions??

Please help.

Thanks

Batman

Relevancy 65.36%

Okay i'm guessing that this will be an easy one I have four drives from a dead NAS that I want to recover data from The drives are all okay from what I can see I have one mounted here in an enclosure and I can see it in the Control Panel All four discs appear the same way when I connect them The NAS was set up as JBOD Now as to How mount recover drive data I from? want that a I do I said I can see the first drive I know which is which from the NAS and it looks like this see attachment You'll see the partitions all show but I can't attach the drive an assign a drive letter Can anyone help me with that I do have Disk Internals recovery software but if I can simply attach How do I mount a drive that I want to recover data from? the drive and access the file system without running a recovery session then that will save me lots How do I mount a drive that I want to recover data from? of time Is there a way to do that I'm on Windows Home Premium -bit The drive is sitting in a USB SATA docking Station I have Gb RAM and enough space to transfer the data from each of the four discs Cheers Steve

A:How do I mount a drive that I want to recover data from?

I gather the JBOD Array in the WDSharespace is actually Linux. That's what Disk Internals Raid Recovery is telling me anyway. I'll struggle along with it unless someone has a quick simple solution (he says hopefully )

Looks like about three or four days recovering using DI.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/275303-how-do-i-mount-drive-i-want-recover-data.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi I have to face a problem with my hard disk My computer worked well yesterday and while I was using nero for copying one file to CD my computer hanged So I restarted it again But windows xp cannot load and I got boot disk failure error So I tried to boot from CD Windows setup CD start normally I damaged how drive from can data recover and it cannot continue after a while and I got this error stop c unknown Hare Error SystemRoot System ntdll dll I am sure that my CD is good So I restart my computer and checked my hard disk at bios setup There my drive is not detected I have checked my jumper setting how can I recover data from damaged drive and cable setting but bios setup does not know my disk I have checked my hard disk at another good computer but at this how can I recover data from damaged drive computer my drive is not detected I think that all my bios setup setting for my hard disk is correct I have set my hard disk to auto at setup I need to say one thing that I have heard strange noice from my disk when I restart my computer I think that my drive is physically damage Is it right or not I would like to know that how can I test to my disk that it is damaged or not and how can I recover my data if it is physically damaged I really appreciate to your help Yin Minn Pa Pa nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

Hi all,
I had about four years worth of pictures on a USB drive that I was using to transfer stuff from one computer to another. Unfortunately, I sort of lagged on completing the transfer so they stayed on the USB drive for quite awhile. As of about two weeks ago, everything was still there. A couple of days ago I put my drive into the computer and it said that the last time I used it, I didn't eject it safely (this is entirely possible). And now ... nada. Everything's gone. I know there are programs that can be used to attempt to recover data, but does anyone have any experience with any (hopefully free) programs? Thanks.

Relevancy 65.36%

I have HP G42 laptop ...recently it showed up a msg called bootmgr is corrupted n was redirecting to ctrl+alt+del to restart....so i didnt format the drive but just installed windows again in the same drive ...but i didnt find the other data previously i had stored...please help me recovering from this......Now i am going to try with I care Recovery tool....any alternatives..??

A:How to Recover Data from Re installed Drive

Did you find a Windows.old folder on the drive? It might be a hidden folder, I can't remember, but if it is, you will need to set the folder view options to show hidden files and folders.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/238071-how-recover-data-re-installed-drive.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Had to replace the hard drive in my desktop and installed SP3. No problems yet.

Any ideas on how I may be able to pull my files off the old drive? Can't get into it from My Computer although it does show up and shows there is data on the drive.

A:Recover Data from slave drive

If you are getting an Access Denied message, you need to follow these steps: How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

If it's something else, you'll need to tells us what the error message is.

Jerry

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recover-data-from-slave-drive.715349/
Relevancy 64.93%

I have read that the normal drive erase is not a good idea for SSD's. I have also read that most SSD manufacturers should have a utility that will allow you to force it to flush deleted data. Does anyone know if this is available thru Lenovo. The SSD controller is a Jmicron but I did not see any utilities on their website.

Mod's Edit: System model added to front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-U-and-S-Series-Notebooks/U300s-Secure-erase-deleted-data-for-a-SSD-drive-in-a-Lenovo/td-p/3325441
Relevancy 64.93%

I was having to unplug and reinsert my flash drive at every reboot to get my XP system to recognize my flash drive This was keeping wiped recover best way and What's files off flash my drive? to folders a lot of programs from autostarting like I desired Upon advice I used Device Manager to try to address apparent corruption by uninstalling the flash drive When I reinstalled it the large collection of files and folders had disappeared What's best way to recover folders and files wiped off my flash drive? except a fraction of the Kingsoft PC Doctor folder What s the best way to recover those files and folders Is recovery software the only option If so what are the best choices Operating System Windows XP Home Edition -bit SP CPU Intel Pentium Northwood um Technology RAM GB DDR MHz - - - Motherboard Dell Computer Corp G Microprocessor Graphics Default Monitor email protected Intel G GL GE PE GV Graphics Controller Dell Storage GB Seagate ST A ATA C GB Lexar USB Flash Drive USB Device USB GB PNY USB FD USB Device USB Optical Drives SAMSUNG CD-R RW SW- S Audio Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Devi nbsp

A:What's best way to recover folders and files wiped off my flash drive?

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-data-recovery-file-undelete-utility.htm
Do not write any thing to the Flash until all has been recovered
Recuva seems to be popular around here

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/whats-best-way-to-recover-folders-and-files-wiped-off-my-flash-drive.1121644/