Windows Support Forum

Caveat emptor: Dell system repair disk :(

Q: Caveat emptor: Dell system repair disk :(

Error 0x4001100200001012 attempting to boot from the System Repair CD created on a Dell.

Apparently, this is specific to Dell and their Hack with DataSafe. You can use any System Repair CD generated on some other platform and it will give you access to restore your System Image. Google using that error code and you'll find lots of info. A Windows Install disk will work too.

I have a SR cd from another system and it works just fine :whew:

Don't get caught up a creek w/o a paddle - - if you plan on using a System Image to recover a system,
make sure you have the tools which will allow that image to be restored - - DON'T ASSUME!

background: I'm seeing SMART data that corroborates my laptop HD is degrading and I wanted to prove I could restore when the replacement arrives. As this Dell laptop is a pain to open up, I didn't want to go down in flames due to procedural errors or lack of familiarity. ( I'll never by another Dell )

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/caveat-emptor-dell-system-repair-disk.207223/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Caveat emptor: Dell system repair disk :(

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 80.6%

Hi. Pedestrian question: I'm looking at buying a couple of games and I'm not sure they'll work on Windows 7.

The Settlers series, eg http://www.amazon.com/Settlers-7-Pa..._1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1303860701&sr=1-1

Zeus, ie http://www.amazon.com/Master-Olympu..._3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1303848241&sr=1-3

Can you let me know whether these games will work on Windows 7?

Thanks...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/caveat-emptor.993601/
Relevancy 107.07%

Hi I would like to share with you my latest experience with Win K security updates and hopefully someone here can explain to me why it happened I started making Windows updates pretty regularly lately and that after installing SP from the net - the express setup option This included upgrading IE to version and a long list of security updates all come with serial numbers like Q The function that automatically scans for new updates and informed me of them got enabled as well somewhere along the way - A couple days ago it informed me of two new security updates Q and Q hope I ve got the last number right Yesterday I installed them both and everything seemed to be working fine Then this morning I d started experiencing the scrolling bug I thought I had gotten Updates 2000 Emptor Caveat - Windows Security rid of Windows 2000 Security Updates - Caveat Emptor by installing a driver I downloaded from my mouse s manufacturer site Genius Netscroll it used to happen when I used the scrolling wheel on my mouse - after a while windows would start scrolling themselves up and down hectically and only restarting the computer solved the problem I have it only in Windows not in SE I restarted When Windows loaded it was very unresponsive If I wanted to change the screensaver for instance I d right-click on the desktop and select properties then go make me some coffee by the time I d be back with the coffee the properties window would appear and then it took about minutes for it to respond to my selection of the screensavers tab Like molases Uninstalling one of the updates Q solved the problem Or so it seems Does anyone know of this problem and why it happens Thanks Daniel PS If anybody knows how to solve my scrolling problem I d be very grateful nbsp

A:Windows 2000 Security Updates - Caveat Emptor

Would suggest you use your "System Restore" and goback to a restore point before thia happened. I prefer the "GoBack" system
over System Restore, because its all done automatically.
Have a good day.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2000-security-updates-caveat-emptor.83376/
Relevancy 66.22%

Created it with no problems, apparently at least. My BIOS is set to boot from CD drive...so why won't my machine boot from the system repair disk? There were no errors when disk was created. My machine just boots to windows.

Anyone else experience this with Win 7 Professional?

Any tips?

A:System Repair Disk not booting into repair options

You can also access the Repair console by booting into the Installer, or using f8 at bootup if you have the 100mb boot/repair partition installed along with Win7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/35690-system-repair-disk-not-booting-into-repair-options.html
Relevancy 66.22%

hello i have win 8.1 and i'm confused about the differents about these disk i mentioned.
1)can you tell me what are the differents?
if are three different disk:
2)how can create each of them?
3)where is usefull each of them?
4) can i create these disks to usb?
also i have not any installation disk of win 8.1 (my preinstalled os was win 7).i have created a windows image backup.the backup is anything from that?
5) for automatic repair which disk i will create?
sorry for my bad english

A:system repair disk-installation disk-recovery disk

Originally Posted by vasilis

also i have not any installation disk of win 8.1

How to download and create a bootable Windows 8.1 installation media. -> link

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/68001-system-repair-disk-installation-disk-recovery-disk.html
Relevancy 64.5%

i tried to make a disc image yesterday, then tried to backup my laptop (compaq w/ hp software and W7 home premium) and it comes up with an error saying its missing a "Volume Shadow Copy blah blah blah" its in the attachment. i want to create a system image.

help'd be appreciated.

Relevancy 62.78%

Hi I am having the following system configuration XPS L X Base Genuine Windows R Home Premium work restore Dell Crashes XPS don't ,safe repair,system .System mode bit English Intel R Core TM i - QM Processor GB MHz DDR SDRAM x GB x GB GB RPM Hard Drive Lately whenever i try to start my computer it pass the Dell Bios Dell XPS Crashes .System repair,system restore ,safe mode don't work and then directly goes to the screen which states Repair your system or Start windows normally When i chose repair system it start downloading windows files and then launch the windows but hung up at the sky blue login window with only movable cusor When i choose to start windows normally it gives me BSOD momentarly hard to see the message and then restarts again I tried with the advanced boot up options like repair my computer all safe modes restore to last good configuration but it does the same and hangs at windows loging sky blue window I Tried to run the Dell PSA Diagnostic and it returns with - error As per the Dell online solutions for this type of error I tried to reinstall the Hard disk but the problem still exist My Hard disk has partitions C and D and all my data resides on D drive and Windows installed on C drive Please help me in making my computer working without losing data Currently i am away from my home country and have no OS or recovery disk with me Regards Sunny

A:Dell XPS Crashes .System repair,system restore ,safe mode don't work

Welcome to Windows Seven Forums.

If you have access to another computer I'd suggest you create a system repaiir disc.

System Repair Disc - Create

It won't re-install Windows, but it will get you into the advanced recovery environment, from where you can run chkdsk.

It does seem highly likely there is a major problem with your hard drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/218292-dell-xps-crashes-system-repair-system-restore-safe-mode-dont-work.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Recently questions were raised as to what functions are available on the System Repair CD - Create that Windows will create and burn to a CD These clips are are from a bit CD I made Insert the CD in the CD Disk System - Repair CD Repair DVD drive and reboot the computer When requested quot Hit any key to boot from CD quot Select the Language and click next Windows will search for an Operating System to repair You can choose to restore a System Image you created or go the Recovery Tools screen These are the same utilities available through the Install DVD or via the function of the MB System Partition if installed Tapping the F key before Windows loads Safe Mode opens this menu Selecting quot Repair Your Computer quot also opens the quot System Recovery Options quot menu but requires Repair CD - System Repair Disk a password to proceed Repair CD - System Repair Disk Cheers Robert Please find a complete list of related tutorials here System Repair Disc - Create System Recovery Options How to Boot to the System Recovery Options in Windows How to Boot to the Advanced Boot Options in Windows

A:Repair CD - System Repair Disk

Thank you for putting this together, it is great to have a bit of insight before venturing into something

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/51100-repair-cd-system-repair-disk.html
Relevancy 62.35%

1)i open the system recovery and i create one also i go to settings and  i put maximum use 3%(7gb)
but every time i reboot or next day i cant find my system recovery,its deleted.......

2)i cant create a dvd for repair system,i click on create disk repair and next,and says that there are some missing files........

A:system recovery deleted every time + cant create system repair disk

1.  You're actually talking about two separate things here.  Item #1 is "restore points", not system recovery.  This restores your system back to point "X" in time.
2.  The second item is "system recovery", with recovers the system to factory specs.
The system recovery, which is usually a partition on your computer.  If this partition is damaged, removed, or files are corrupted, you have only two basic choices:
1.  Order recovery DVDs from the manufacturer; or
2.  Purchase a boxed copy of the OS, and download the drivers from the manufacturer's website.
Have a great day!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/543212/system-recovery-deleted-every-time-cant-create-system-repair-disk/
Relevancy 62.35%

When I boot with disk and select the repair option it takes me to a DOS screen. I have no idea what command I need to use to fix my problem.

The problem is that when I try to boot up I get an error - unable to locate component iertutil.dll. I found a fix online that says to use the winxp os system install disk. Go to start, run and type in: sfc /scannow. This is supposed to check and reinstall lost or corrupt files. The problem is I can't boot up to a point where I can select run. I can't even get fully into safe mode

If anyone has any ideas I will be thrilled to hear them.

A:[SOLVED] How to repair system with the WinXP System Install disk?

This webpage should explain all.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-how-to-repair-system-with-the-winxp-system-install-disk-295197.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I bought a new Dell i and it has Windows Pro bit factory installed on it I wanted to do a full system backup but the Dell Backup and Recovery software will not allow me to do a system backup nbsp Further I have been unable to create a system recovery disk using Dell Backup and Recovery I can t use the Dell provided system disk for recovery because it is clearly marked Windows Why is a Win disk included with a Win Pro bit system What is wrong with won't - DBaR Dell Recovery is Backup do me New - Pro i3847 System - & let 8.1 7 Help! Win Windows Dell a Disk Dell Backup and Recovery that it a can t create a factory recovery disk b won t allow me to create a system back up so I can return it to the factory state Help It s been hours and it is still quot initializing disk quot to create a factory recovery nbsp It usually fails somewhere during initialization or writing nbsp nbsp nbsp Spending hours for each failed attempt to create a factory recovery disk is NOT GOOD

A:Help! - New Dell i3847 - Windows 7 Pro - Dell Recovery Disk is Win 8.1 & DBaR won't let me do a System Backup

It has now been 4 hours and Dell Backup and Recovery is sitting on "Initializing Disk" under create Factory Recovery Media

I can't have it take hours and hours, then fail and then try again.... then take hours and hours.... then fail ... then hours ... then fail...

Help!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19985371
Relevancy 60.63%

My company jettisoned our IT Department and contracted for IT services with an outside firm. Field personnel provided with laptop or desktop (or both) are now required to perform a System Image once per week and, in addition, to create a System Repair CD/DVD each week as part of the System Image process.

At the outset this appears to be overkill. No reason was provided for the change from simple backup to System Image, which is a time-consuming process. Equally confounding is the requirement for a new System Repair CD/DVD each week.

I'm a bit of a novice-what is the value of a System Image performed weekly and creating a new System Repair CD/DVD on a weekly basis?

A:System Image & System Repair Disk

Images allow you to restore your PC to how it was. Quite different to backing up files and folders. They allow you to recover from (e.g.)
- ransomware
- disk failure
- user error
- unbootable PC
- uncorrectable error
quickly and without technical help by restoring your PC to a previous working state.

Your system configuration evolves as you know, so updates are necessary.

However, there are more robust solutions than the built-in system image, and Macrium Reflect is strongly recommended here. It supports the generation of differential images (free edition) where only changes are saved in a smaller faster image file.

People have reported difficulty in using Backup and Restore here from time time.

Backing up to remote storage would be faster and more convenient than managing DVDs, but then, DVDs can't be hacked(!). (But nor can offline storage of course).

It takes me just a few minutes to update my system image with Macrium- with SSD + USB3.

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/63235-system-image-system-repair-disk.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I'm getting ready to install Macrium Reflect Free in order to create an image on my WD My Passport Ultra external hard drive --- I have created a System Repair disc --- I saw in post that as well as MR website I will be able System Disk? Repair to create Linux CD or a Windows PE boot disc ------ I was thinking of creating both boot discs I saw in post in post I'll be able System Repair Disk? to get into the System Recovery Options using the System Repair disc --- Will the Linux CD or the Windows PE boot disc also System Repair Disk? go through the System Recovery Options or will they have their own options on what to do --- Come to think of it maybe the only intent of the Linux CD or the Windows PE boot disc is to restore the image as opposed to the System Recovery Options I also noted the comment of having the recovery media on a flash drive in order to restore back to factory --- Can someone give me a link on how to figure out how to do that --- I have tried to look it up but I'm having a hard time selecting what to go by

A:System Repair Disk?

Hello! You should probably start a new topic. I'm sure this will be split and a new topic started. It would be a good idea to create both Linux and Windows PE. Macrium Reflect will have it's own options. You can use the system repair disc to restore the image created by the back up feature in Windows7 back up feature. I have used Macrium Reflect for several years and I can possibly answer most of your questions.
You have made a good decision to back up your Operating System. I will be glad to help you any way I can.
donetao!
PS As far as creating recovery media; it depends on your make and model and your operating system. I can probably help you with that also!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/534302/system-repair-disk/
Relevancy 60.2%

I can not create my systenm repair disk..my computer canot read the dvd after i created it.

Any help? can i create a bootable usb instead?

Thanks

A:System repair disk

For better help with problems, Can you post your specs.
Filling out System Specs
System Info - See Your System Specs

Dont Know What Hardware You Have..??
VistaForums SysInfo Tool - Vista Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/200097-system-repair-disk.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I've created a system repair disk. How do I test it--how do I boot with it, just to be sure it'll work? Thanks.

A:System Repair Disk

Insert the repair disk in your CD/DVD drive. Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from that drive as first option. (When you first start your machine you probably see a prompt to use F12 - or some other key - to enter setup. Setup lets you change the boot order.)

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthe...rderchange.htm

Restart your computer and if the repair disk was successfully made you should see a list of options to choose from. Or, you could simply put the disk in your CD/DVD drive, click start > computer > and open the drive. You should see "Files currently on the disc" and they should include boot, sources, and bootmgr.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/122686-system-repair-disk.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Let say I have five machines running Windows 7 but are of different makes and models. My question is would I need to or is it most appropriate to make a repair disk for each machine or could I just make one for all machines?

Also if you do a clean install on a computer but have a clean repair disk from an old computer with the same operating system do you need to make a new repair disk?

I know this kind of sounds stupid but I do a lot of installs at least 7 a day and I would hate to think I would need that many dvd's for each install ya know, but I'm not sure that why I'm askin'.....

A:System Repair Disk?

If you are going to Create a Recovery disk for these machines then you will only require 1 CD

But if you are planning on Reinstalling Windows on Multiple PC's then you will need more than one Licience key

See System Repair Disc - Create For More Information

Hope This Helps,
Josh

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/144825-system-repair-disk.html
Relevancy 60.2%

i read through the many posts about using a disk image to restore an os, files, settings, etc.... and got most of my questions answered. there's one answer i can't find though. after i make an image of my hard drive i am prompted to make a system repair disk, do i need to make a new repair disk for each image? i am running w7 and using the imaging software built in.

thanks

A:system repair disk

You only need to make a repair disc once. It's pretty much just a generic disc that boots the repair console and allows you to run the restore.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-repair-disk.890147/
Relevancy 60.2%

I have just installed Windows 7 on both of my Systems.
I am needing to make a System repair disk.
Will one disk for for both system? Or do i need to make a separtate one for each?

Any Windows 7 system repair disk made by any Windows 7 operating system will work on any and all Windows 7 operating systems (you do not need to make one for each system). They will only work on Windows 7, mind you! (Vista or XP will not be recognized if one of those is the OS on the system that you try to boot off the Windows 7 repair disk)

It is still okay to make 2, though. What if you lose/break the only one you made? Or, you can keep one in your laptop bag (assuming you have one), and one around your desk area.

I, myself, have 1 disk (DVD) and two flash drives with the System Repair files (flash drives are faster and easier to use, especially since I use my netbook a lot (no optical drive)).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/293558/system-repair-disk/
Relevancy 60.2%

Do i need to make a System repair disk for each system i have, or will one single disk for for all of my systems?

If you have a MS Windows installation disk, there is no need for such.http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...tem-repair-discLouis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/269922/system-repair-disk/
Relevancy 60.2%

Without saying how old I am, I collect Social Security. Using that as a excuse to write this problem, here goes. == I installed Win 7 last November. I have on the top of my desk various jewel cases, some with nothing in them and some have a DVD. I just noticed one that I made that is labeled "Win 7 System Repair Dec 29 2009". Could someone fill me in as to why I made that? Does the fact that I put a date on it mean I need to update it? What would I use this for? BTW, I have a Win 7 DVD, do I still need the Repair disk?

Thanks,

A:Win 7 System Repair Disk

The DVD is probably used to boot the computer.
The date is probably when you made it, does not have to be updated.

It would be used when you cannot boot, it is good to have. It will enable the computer to boot so that you can make needed repairs.

The Windows 7 DVD would be used to install the OS again.
The repair is to do just that boot and repair, the current system. Although the OS DVD can be used for repairs, I would keep both

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/95253-win-7-system-repair-disk.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I cannot make a system repair disk on any of my 2 PCs, as I try, it stops working. The reason shows as>

roblem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: recdisc.exe
  Application Version: 6.1.7601.17514
  Application Timestamp: 4ce7990e
  Fault Module Name: ole32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.23392
  Fault Module Timestamp: 56eb3627
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Offset: 0000000000027d7b
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: e574
  Additional Information 2: e57488545f86d383cf00c40c411daee5
  Additional Information 3: 7f30
  Additional Information 4: 7f30e34037f85db92c64bcc13e80a752

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bbbd63ad-a562-47fb-9885-418bc9ba044a/system-repair-disk?forum=w7itpromedia
Relevancy 60.2%

I need to do a system repair, but do not have a system disk

Solved!
View Solution.

A:system repair without disk

Yes, I am aware it is for Vista and a Windows 7 install disk can be used for a Vista repair.  I am also aware that a system disk did not come with the computer.  You can also make repair disk on a working Windows 7 computer, your's, a friend's or one at the library.  Or you can make a Windows 7 install disk from the M$ download page.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/system-repair-without-disk/td-p/5548724
Relevancy 60.2%

Do i need to make a system repair disk for each system i have? Or does a single repair disk work the same on every system?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/248557/system-repair-disk/
Relevancy 59.77%

hello there i m trying to create a system repair disk for window 7 after upgrading from vista, but run in to problem it keep on saying system repair disk could not be created. there is no media in the device(oxCOAA0202) what does is mean? hp dv6 pavillion 1240ea can any1 help thanks.

A:Solved: system repair disk

Is there a disk in the drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-system-repair-disk.912291/
Relevancy 59.77%

I created a Windows system repair CD bit system Win7-64 nothing disk repair does pro created on a Dell Precision M laptop and checked that it contains stuff When I boot it on the Dell it whirs says that Windows is loading or reading files then after the line of boxes gets full the screen Win7-64 system repair disk does nothing goes black and everything is quiet I gave up after minutes tried again -- the same I tried to Win7-64 system repair disk does nothing boot from the CD on my Vaio also Win - and the only difference was that I got a pastel blue white background with a piece of parsley or whatever it is anyhow it's like the W welcome screen Nothing happening for minutes so again I gave up I assume it is supposed to give me some options Anyone have any idea what the problem is This is complicated by the fact that I use Box Sync so in order to run the program that makes the repair disk I have to uninstall Box long and annoying story which makes repeatedly trying to make these disks difficult if I'm going to get work done

A:Win7-64 system repair disk does nothing

Hi David and welcome to the forum.

Take a read through this tutorial by Brink and see if it will help with what you are trying to do.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/383762-win7-64-system-repair-disk-does-nothing.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hopefully a simple question.
When you make a system repair disk it gets closed off. Is there a way of adding your own utilities to this disk which are standalone Windows .exe files.

A:Adding to the System Repair Disk

Disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm not sure if this will help but I found some info about adding the repair disk to UBCD4WIN. From what I can gather it requires rebuilding the .iso files of both and combining the re-built files into one final disk. So... might it be possible to create an .iso file of your standalone .exe files and then combining those files with a repair disk .iso file?

Adding windows 7 system repair disc to UBCD4WIN - The CD Forum

Maybe this will be some food for thought for other forum members.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/118663-adding-system-repair-disk.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello all,
When I purchased my computer, a salesman recommended I make a system image in case of computer failure and said I should use a 32 GB external drive. So I took his recommendation and bought one of those USB types.
As I pulled up the application to perform this operation, I saw there was a link to make a system repair disk. So I decided to do that first. I had a dvd-rw 4.7 gb and use that. The down load went well.
Next I placed the USB device into the slot and started the download but about 20 minutes later, my computer asks me to place another disk to continue. Why? Is not the 32 gb usb enough to make a system image on usb?
So what do I need to do or check? I speak very little computerese.

A:System Image & Repair Disk

Originally Posted by rjordan393

Hello all,
When I purchased my computer, a salesman recommended I make a system image in case of computer failure and said I should use a 32 GB external drive. So I took his recommendation and bought one of those USB types.
As I pulled up the application to perform this operation, I saw there was a link to make a system repair disk. So I decided to do that first. I had a dvd-rw 4.7 gb and use that. The down load went well.
Next I placed the USB device into the slot and started the download but about 20 minutes later, my computer asks me to place another disk to continue. Why? Is not the 32 gb usb enough to make a system image on usb?
So what do I need to do or check? I speak very little computerese.

Windows will not recognize a thumb drive (usb) for system images.
Try using an external hard drive, (if you have access to one).

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/52387-system-image-repair-disk.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I did a search in the Windows 7 forum for system repair disc and got no hits so here I am asking.

I have only Windows 7 32-bit installed here so I don't have a 64-bit system with which to create a system repair disk. I do have a Windows 7 Ultimate setup disk. How can I make a Windows 7 64-bit repair disk?

Or is there possibly one I can download?

A:How to make system repair disk

Not what you asked for, but here is one you can buy.

If "Windows 7 Ultimate setup disk" is a 64-bit installation DVD you can use that, as it includes everything that the System Repair Disc does.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-make-system-repair-disk.1088781/
Relevancy 59.77%

What is system repair disk?

A:create system repair disk?

Hello Fluidmotion,

A system repair disc is used to boot to system recovery options to help recover your Windows 7 installation if you don't have a Windows installation disc, can't find your Windows installation disc, or can't access the recovery options provided by your computer manufacturer.

A system repair disc is not able to install Windows 7.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/190930-create-system-repair-disk.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello,

I have a question related to the windows 7 bootloader.

I had some problems with the windows 7 bootloader after installing a linux os. Practically I couldn't boot into windows 7. I used a linux tool to repair the mbr. This installed a so called "generic compatible mbr", but not the original that windows came. Windows 7 works now properly...
Now, I wan't to delete linux, leaving windows 7 the only operating system.

What should I do in order to that. If I have no problems, it is recommended to replace the bootloader with the original one or leave it as it is?

Thanks in advance.

A:fixmbr - system repair disk

Lets have a look at the disk/partition layout first - this will determine the most practical method to use.

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/301121-fixmbr-system-repair-disk.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi,

I'm having problems with my computer and was wondering if I use it in its present state to create a System Repair Disk - If those same problems will be written to the disk and used for repairs.

In other words, is the disk using my current registry and whatnot to create the disk or is my system creating the disk using some sort of disk image to create the repair disk.

Thanks,
Adam

A:Corrupt System Repair Disk?

If you are unable to boot your Windows 7 to create a Windows 7 System Repair Disc, then you could create it on another computer to use on your computer. You can also download a repair disc image on the net. There are sites that sell the images but I remember getting mine for free a while back. Not sure where there were.
AFAIK the health of your registry doesn't matter when making a repair disc.

Download Windows 7 System Recovery Discs — The NeoSmart Files

You can also use any Windows 7 CD (matching your version) to repair your system. Borrow one from someone if you have to.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/corrupt-system-repair-disk-598334.html
Relevancy 59.77%

well i want to create a system repair disk but i want to create it on a memory stick

A:System repair disk problem

You can use this tutorial:
USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/101301-system-repair-disk-problem.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi,

My laptop is 6 months old - sony vaio.

Do i require to create System Repair Disc?

I have taken back up in external hard drive. Also have created windows 7 backup in three separate DVDs.

Best regards,

Ravi Davda

A:System repair disk required or not

Hello Ravi, and welcome to Seven Forums.

It would be a good idea to create a set of Sony Vaio factory recovery discs to have as a backup to be able to do a factory recovery of Windows 7 if needed say if you are unable to do so normally from the factory recovery partition on the laptop.View Document
A system repair disc is not required, but could come in handy as well to be use to try and repair Windows 7 with if you were ever unable to boot into the System Recovery Options screen using F8 at boot.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/207835-system-repair-disk-required-not.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I have created a Systen Repair disc by the manual method of creating an iso file and burning it to disc. Before I store it away "In a safe place" is there any harm in testing it to make sure it is OK?

A:Testing a system repair disk.

Nope, not at all.

The only thing that would hurt it really is if you scratched it badly.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/72152-testing-system-repair-disk.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I just got a new Lenovo laptop and it has the System Recovery Partition. I just want to confirm my actions. Instead of making the DVD's from the System Recover Partition, I downloaded the Win 7 ISO and made a DVD to install from when ever I do a Clean Install. My question is, would the DVD I made also serve as a System Repair Disk to correct problems in my current install? Thanks,

A:Question About System Repair Disk

Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck

would the DVD I made also serve as a System Repair Disk to correct problems in my current install? Thanks,

Hi,

The Windows 7 ISO will be good for a repair of the new clean reinstall - not the existing bloated OEM install. You should also burn the Lenova recovery media as insurance should you ever have to revert to the factory state.

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/269924-question-about-system-repair-disk.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi Guys

Is there a way of turning the pop up "would you like to create a system repair disk" you get after you have created a system image back on again. Ive accidentally checked the box to not show the message again and would like it back as I liked the ping it made when the image was complete.Without it there no notification noise just a close tab.
I don't have the option of a restore as I did it a while ago but im now missing the ping.

Thanks Danny

A:Create system repair disk pop up

I've spent some time trying to research this question and I found this relatively old Vista response from a Microsoft Answers Support Engineer:

Quote:
I've searched for close to an hour trying to find a way to get that message box to come back, apparently, once you check the option "Don't show this message again", it will not come back. I was looking for a Registry fix but cannot locate one. So at the moment, yes, this would be a Final answer and reinstalling would appear to be the only option. I will continue to research when I can and Post a reply if/when I find a solution, but as it stands, there is not a "fix" for this.

Thank you for Posting on Microsoft Answers.
Ken
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Disappeared Message Boxes - Microsoft Answers

Under many circumstances running a System File Checker scan will replace incorrect, corrupted, changed, or damaged versions of system files with the correct versions if possible. Don't know if it will help in this situation as the file apparently worked as intended.

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/167870-create-system-repair-disk-pop-up.html
Relevancy 59.77%

The article located @ System Repair Disc - Create states

Quote:
32-bit System Repair Disc can only be created on a 32-bit Windows 7.
64-bit System Repair Disc can only be created on a 64-bit Windows 7.

A friend has asked me if I can burn a system recovery disc for his Win7 32-bit machine which doesn't have read and write capabilities. I have two Win7 machines. The 32-bit one has a DVD player (will not write, or burn if you prefer). My other machine is a 64-bit machine which will read and write DVDs. According to the quote above, it appears that I do not have the proper hardware to burn a 32-bit system repair disc.

Is there a trick I can use? (like create a file using the 32-bit machine and burning it on the 64-bit machine?)

Thanks for your help.

Relevancy 59.77%

I am a little confused about the image backup feature in Windows 8.1. Or more specifically, the "system repair disk" feature (if there is one).

I know it is possible to create a system image backup, but I don't see where you can create a "system repair disk" in Windows 8.1.

I have searched this forum and generally using a search engine, but I can't find a definitive answer to these questions:

Can you create a "system repair disk" in Windows 8.1? If so, how?

If not, can you use a system repair disk created in Windows 7?

Or maybe I have missed something.

Can anyone help?

Relevancy 59.77%

Win7Pro64. Using recdisc.exe,
Getting error message "The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)"
CD/DVD drive works fine.
SFC shows no problems.
System working OK.
Any help appreciated.

A:System repair disk could not be created

See the last post in this thread on 2nd page, see if it helps you: Cannot create recovery disc: getting The parameter is incorrect - Microsoft Answers

Did you per chance delete the built in recovery partition? That seems to cause this problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/172462-system-repair-disk-could-not-created.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I must be missing something here. What is the need for creating a System Repair disk other than convenience when the same functions appear to be on the system installation CD? I created a system image and a a repair disk. Then I deleted a whole bunch of files from the system on purpose and, of course, my RC wouldn't work. I booted the installation cd and restored the system image and all was well. I repeated the process except I booted the repair disk and again all was well.

I guess my question is why did I need to create the repair disk when the installation cd did the job?

Like I said, I must be missing something.

Would appreciate some insight.

Thank you very much.

A:Creating a System Repair Disk

Hi, What happens if you have no operating disk, and you need to get into, and repair the OS.
You see everyone won't be as lucky as you and have an installation disk, I hope this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/25731-creating-system-repair-disk.html
Relevancy 59.77%

My new UEFI BIOS computer system is as follows:

Mfg/Model: Velocity Micro/Raptor Z55 SLYLAKE Desktop
Motherboard: Asus Z170-P Intel Z170 chipset, ATX Motherboard
Processor: Intel Core I5-6600 Processor, 4-core @ 3.3GHz
C Drive: 512GB Samsung 950 Pros PCIe 3.0 SS Drive

When I try to create a System Repair Disk from the Backup and Restore screen, I get the following error:
This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows that you are trying to repair.

I don't know what to do at this point and would appreciate any help/advice. Thanks in advance.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/394607-i-cant-create-system-repair-disk.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I have an editor (standalone .exe) which I like to incorporate into the repair disk for maintenance tasks. Program runs from flash drive when window is running.

Any simple to do this?

A:Adding to the system repair disk

SIW2 is the expert on this. He builds them all the time with the works. I can't find his last post explaining how you mount and edit the .wim but you can PM him.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/129115-adding-system-repair-disk.html
Relevancy 59.34%

My Dell XPS 15z wouldn't boot this weekend. After a few failed attempts I got the screen to start in safe mode. A screen with options popped up with the first option being to do a System Repair so I decided to try that. It went through a few steps and seemed to be progressing. However, it now appears to be frozen on a screen that says it is attempting to perform system repairs and that the process could take over an hour. This was basically 48 hours ago. If I hit the cancel button a screen pops up telling me the process cannot be stopped. My husband even turned the computer off but when it starts up again it automatically returns to the frozen screen.

Help!

A:System Repair has locked up on Dell laptop

F8 at power on should give you some recovery options. Have you tried that?

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/376215-system-repair-has-locked-up-dell-laptop.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I put the "System Repair" files on an SSD (new and newly NTFS formatted and made active). It boots to the System Repair screen fine. I copied an existing, tested, working WindowsImageBackup folder off a DVD onto the same SSD. When I rebooted from the SSD, System Repair says it can't find a backup. Either I'm doing something wrong or this is impossible. Any ideas?

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/401138-system-repair-windowsimagebackup-folder-same-disk.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I have previously made a "system repair disk" on a CD. I now wish to do the same using a usb thumb drive. When I plug the thumb drive in and then go to Control Panel > Backup and select "create system repair disk", the only destination option is the Optical (CD) drive. The usb drive does not show as an option.

Can it be so simple as to just copy the contents of the CD to the thumb drive?

If this is to work, should the usb drive be formatted beforehand; and if so, what file format?

A:How to put system repair disk on a usb thumb drive

You can use many of the bootable USB creators. I use YUMI but it needs some configuration for repair disks.

I guess you can try Rufus. https://rufus.akeo.ie/

You may need to make an ISO of the CD first. I use ImgBurn for ISOs. Uncheck any extra crap they may be offering with ImgBurn if you install that one.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/371244-how-put-system-repair-disk-usb-thumb-drive.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I am running Windows 7 RC on my Samsung NC10 netbook. I would like to create a system restore disk to allow me to restire system images, etc. However being a netbook the NC10 doesn't have a CD/DVD drive and while I can use an external one, it would be much easier to have the repair disk on a Flash Pen Drive.

Can anyone help me to create a repair disk on my pen drive?

Thanks

A:Creating a System Repair Disk on a Pen drive

Hi cmcloughlin, welcome to the forums.

You might want to brows the excellent range of tutorials on this forum. Or you could start with Windows 7 Forums - Search Results

i've already narrowed the search down to "repair disk" for you

hope they help

Jeff

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/11847-creating-system-repair-disk-pen-drive.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hello
I have a windows xp sp3 system. I have a 250 gb seagate hdd with five partitions. I converted three of them (factory formatted fat32 drive) to ntfs using disk management in control panel. Whenever I check it with OnTrack Easy Recovery Professional software, it reports "critical system structure errors have been found" on ntfs drives only. But when I check them using scandisk, no errors are reported. Also when I run OnTrack full diagnostic test, no errors are reported. Its happening only with file system test with OnTrack software. Is there anything to worry? Should I reformat the ntfs drives and convert them back to fat32? Is there any software to check for file structure errors? Please help.

A:How to repair disk file structure system?

Hi,

You wouldn't have to worry as long as you can access the partitions and save and copy data to and from it. Are you having any problems?

Steve

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-repair-disk-file-structure-system-633767.html
Relevancy 58.91%

When I attempt to create a system repair disk to be able to boot my newWIN 7, if it fails to start I am unable to on my new Win. However, when I follow the steps to create the disk I get a popup telling me windows repair disk has stopped working correctly - a problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. I have also tried the recdisk command in Run and it tells me recdisk cannot be found. I think I am running windows as Admistrator but am not really certain.

Can someone assist me with this problem?

Mary

A:Need help creating a bootable system repair disk

Why do you ned a repair disc to boot into windows ?

What is wrong with your Windows 7 install ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/329050-need-help-creating-bootable-system-repair-disk.html
Relevancy 58.91%

How to remove my password by using system repair disk?
i created system repair disk for my OS windows 7 ultimate x32 few days back, but don't know how to remove user password using this repair disk? please help me.

A:How to remove my password by using system repair disk?

Hello Ganesh,

If you like, you can use the method in the tutorial below to reset your password at boot.

Password Reset

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/368409-how-remove-my-password-using-system-repair-disk.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi
I periodically create a system image using an external hdd and a dvd.

I've run out of dvd's and have only got some cd-r's of 750Mb

Will they be big enough?

A:System Image Repair Disk - Min CD-R Capacity Mb?

More than likely not, however, depending on your backup program (I use Acronis True Image 2011) it gives me the option to boot into the recovery mode before the computer boots, so I don't need a DVD to recover from a corrupt OS...

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/202394-system-image-repair-disk-min-cd-r-capacity-mb.html
Relevancy 58.91%

In November, I uninstalled Avast and am still stuck in a System Repair Loop. I managed to find out through Hiren's Boot CD that my Bootmgr is missing and other boot files are corrupt.

I just got my hands on a System Repair disk for my laptop the other day, and for some reason, instead of a Blue background when it starts, I get a Gray background (like with the Windows PE disk I made) with (I think) Korean option boxes (OK, Cancel, etc.) and the title on Command Prompt having Korean letters and Ws with lines through them. How do I get the install disk back to normal and try to repair this System Repair Loop?

A:System Repair Disk Acting Strangely

Welcome to the Forum.

It would seem that Korean System repair disc is very suspect & it would be best not to use it.

Do you have a Windows Installation DVD, if so follow the tutorial below. If not does your laptop have a recovery program which should be accessible by rapidly hitting one of the F keys, possibly F8 for the boot menu & if it has a recovery program use that.

Startup Repair

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/389994-system-repair-disk-acting-strangely.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Guys I've been trying to help my neighbor get her new Acer computer with Windows set up I personally use System 8.1 a Repair Creating Windows Disk Windows so I know almost Creating a Windows 8.1 System Repair Disk nothing about Windows One of the things that I wanted to do was to create a System Repair Disk like I did for my computer running Windows Also I wanted to create a set of System Restore disks so that if her computer crashed she could restore it to the state that it was in when purchased I could not find a method to create a bootable System Repair disk The Help file stated that there MIGHT be a restore Creating a Windows 8.1 System Repair Disk partition on the computer's hard drive and if there is then a user could copy the restore partition to a USB device It seems to me that if the computer Creating a Windows 8.1 System Repair Disk cannot be started because the Windows System has become corrupted that a Restore Partition isn't going to be much good since there would be no way to access it I would think that you would need a Repair disk to allow you to boot up the computer and gain access to the Restore Partition How do I find out if there IS a Restore Partition on the computer and how do I create a disk that could be use to boot up the computer in case of a failure so I can perform a restore operation either from the Restore Partition or a set of Backup disks with a System Image on them Thanks Bob

A:Creating a Windows 8.1 System Repair Disk

Hi Bob
Maybe these tutorials will help You. They are all from here and I have used some of them with my Windows 8 computer. You will notice that one of them is for running recovery from the command prompt.
How to create a Windows system image in Windows 7 and Windows 8 How to use System Image Recovery in the Windows 7 and Windows 8 Recovery Environment How to use the Windows 8 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt How to create a bootable USB Flash Recovery Drive in Windows 8 How to create a Windows System Repair Disc How to use System Restore from the Windows 8 Recovery Environment

Good Luck
Roger

P.S. did You look under the Acer section of the start menu for a recovery disk creator program? I know there was one in my Windows 7 Acer L/T. I have no Acer with Win 8. And MS may have nixed that for windows 8 as my Lenovo doesn't have that ability.

So what I did was Clone the hard drive to a SSD drive VIA a USB adapter and then swap them. The Original hard Drive is sitting on the shelf in case I ever need to restart the computer clean.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/553830/creating-a-windows-81-system-repair-disk/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hello,I had to create the System Repair disk at different PC running the same OS because of error 0x80070057. Any advice how to fix this? Using a R+/R- for this did not help.Can a Win 7 System Repair disk fix in-operational F8 button access option, because presently the computer beeping only rapidly upon applying it? Running sfc /scannow did not help for the F8 nor the error (0x80070057) problem.Thanks(I know about the MSConfig option for the Safe Boot as a workaround that I prefer not using.)

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Creating-System-Repair-disk-and-in-operatinal-F8/td-p/5582945
Relevancy 58.91%

I bought a new laptop yesterday and today decided to create a system repair disk. I inserted a blank DVD RW and started the process the progress bar went to about 60-70% (estimate, douse not give actual progress %) in half an hour and has now been at that exact same point for the last 5 hours. I have had no errors and the widow still says "creating disk..." and it still sounds as though the DVD drive is still writing onto the dvd.

I Wouldn't think it would take this long to create especially with no progress.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Pogue

A:Create system repair disk, stuck

try dvd+r or dvd-r instead of dvd/rw. Or try just another dvd.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/201219-create-system-repair-disk-stuck.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I created a backup and image (Win 7 Pro) on an external (USB attached) HDD and then created a Windows 7 System Repair Disk. I then booted from the repair disk and the attached external drive is not visible.

The external drive is attached via through a hub, does it need to be attached directly? Is their a generic USB Mass Storage Device driver that I can load?

I was hoping that by creating the repair disk that all necessary drivers would have been loaded to the disk, but apparently not.

Thanks for any help,
Ski

A:System Repair Disk not seeing my external drive

umm, anyone?? How do i get the reapir disk to find my USB drive? Otherwise the backup is pretty worthless, IMNSHO.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/37181-system-repair-disk-not-seeing-my-external-drive.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hello all I'm trying to created a posready embedded image and I want to be able to supply a system repair disc and system image with it should the disk hardware fail for the end user The procedure seemed straightforward and I'm running it straight after a fresh posready install to test it I have USB DVD drives attached one to write the image to and one because it needs the installation Cannot 7? system create Posready repair disk for media as part of the creation process from control panel backup and restore click Create a System Repair Disc Choose the dvd writer to use to create the disc and insert a blank disc I choose E in my case Cannot create system repair disk for Posready 7? which has a blank DVD-R quot Insert Windows Installation Disc quot OK I put the Posready install DVD in the other DVD drive F click continue System Repair Disc could not be created The system could not find the path specified x I have Cannot create system repair disk for Posready 7? tried inserting instead a Win Professional DVD at step have tried with a single DVD writer swapping Cannot create system repair disk for Posready 7? discs have tried on a couple of different posready installs one with the MB system reserved partition and one without I've googled the error code and got lots of results suggesting corrupt user profiles etc but these are new installs Pulling my hair out anyone else come across this is it a posready glitch or am I missing the obvious Thanks Chris

A:Cannot create system repair disk for Posready 7?

A followup question to the above. The docs i have seen show that if you press F8 on boot you go to the advanced options and there's an integrated system repair option, above safe mode etc. In my setups I don't get these, with or without the 100MB System reserved partition. Would be nice if that at least was there.

Again its POSready 7, 32 bit; shows in control panel as in 7 embedded SP1.

Thanks,
Chris

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/221841-cannot-create-system-repair-disk-posready-7-a.html
Relevancy 58.91%

In November, I uninstalled Avast and am still stuck in a System Repair Loop. I managed to find out through Hiren's Boot CD that my Bootmgr is missing and other boot files are corrupt.

I just got my hands on a System Repair disk for my laptop the other day, and for some reason, instead of a Blue background when it starts, I get a Gray background (like with the Windows PE disk I made) with (I think) Korean option boxes (OK, Cancel, etc.) and the title on Command Prompt having Korean letters and Ws with lines through them. How do I get the install disk back to normal and try to repair this System Repair Loop?

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/389994-system-repair-disk-acting-strangely.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi I am new to this site and desperately need advice I have a year old Dell running Vista Home Edition For the past two days I had noticed issues with Outlook It would hang and go unresponsive The solution was to use Task Manager and shut it down This happened again last night but when I went to shut it down it wouldn t So after a few minutes I powered down using the on off button waited a few seconds and powered up again using the on off button The system appeared to be loading I had the horizontal small sliver box at the bottom and watched for about minutes as the green trail moved across the slot After that I powered down again On the next start attempt I got the quot System Repair quot screen I followed Dell Vista System 3 Run 64 Old OS Successfully. - on Can't Repair year Help! STS the instructions and after quite some Vista 64 OS on 3 year Old Dell STS - Can't Run System Repair Successfully. Help! time I got the screen that said it couldn t repair the problem Vista 64 OS on 3 year Old Dell STS - Can't Run System Repair Successfully. Help! When I checked the log all tests ran successfully There was a message that read quot Root cause found Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem quot But when I try to reboot again the same screen appears Any suggestions are welcomed Thanks

A:Vista 64 OS on 3 year Old Dell STS - Can't Run System Repair Successfully. Help!

Have you tried the Last Known Good Configuration boot option?

Or safe mode?

If either works, I suggest running the chkdsk /r command...hard shutdowns may scramble boot/system files and chkdsk /r will attempt to straighten things out.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/426172/vista-64-os-on-3-year-old-dell-sts-cant-run-system-repair-successfully-help/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hello everyone I'm really sorry but this is lengthy because I've tried so much and I'm really stymied I hope you can bear with me I picked up a Dell Latitude e from a client about days ago Hard disk failed diagnostics so I bought a new one stuck it in and loaded Windows HP -bit Loaded device drivers - no yellow flags Ran Windows Update ad nauseam HDD Win-7-HP, System Dell fail laptop, Repair/Restore new - until there were no more Loaded my standard suite of software AVG MBAM Adobe Flash SWF Reader Skype iTunes -zip etc and the created User Accounts and copied the data over Took an afternoon ready to return computer to client but there was a blinking battery issue quot not recognized Dell laptop, Win-7-HP, new HDD - System Repair/Restore fail quot Turns out it was the power supply Turned it on one last time logged in saw Dell laptop, Win-7-HP, new HDD - System Repair/Restore fail another Windows Update available so I agreed to download install them WU said it was fine quot Restart Now quot so I did System cannot start Went to System Repair Could not repair Windows Went into System Restore I tried the last snapshot No luck I tried the one prior No luck I tried the first one available No luck I researched the problem both for Dell Latitude e Windows in general and any other wild ideas Nothing So I started from scratch being a bit more deliberate this time Delete partitions erase format install Windows loaded only Ethernet driver did updates - several rounds No third party software no user accounts no user data Same result Thrown into System Repair which fails and System Restore only - options doesn't work lt big sigh gt Pull up my jeans roll up my sleeves lots more research but nothing really definitive Restart erase re-install with a different newer version of Windows HP -bit After initial install WU reports updates I do these After reboot WU reports updates Something I found on this site New set of Microsoft Updates Crash Windows Bit Desktop reports quot updates that crash Windows quot List seems similar to several on my list of I check all updates except these and pray They all load fine system reboots all is good I load more device drivers Reboot - fine I load software reboot fine I reboot over and over again no problem But I can't bear to return the laptop to the client and having to tell them quot Don't ever do these updates quot Plus I want to figure out which one is the real culprit So I decide to test the System Restore with a system that is having NO PROBLEMS booting Restart F quot Repair your computer quot System Restore choose the last one listed before installing iTunes or Skype or something quot System restore completed successfully quot Restart - CRASH Same result as before System Repair fails System Restore fails System is rendered completely useless Now desperate I have even tried Windows HP -bit Without all the detail I did the first round of updates and same frigging result Aside this computer was purchased when the client's son was attending a private school The school's IT department deleted the Recovery Partition so I don't have that on the original bad disk to work from either I'm at my wit's end I've never really used System Restore much but it's worked the - times I've used it before But the fact that a system update could render the whole thing useless ON A CLEAN INSTALL just floors me While I do this for a living and feel confident that I can always figure something out I am so deep into this one and have - days worth of frustration behind me so I'm sure I'm no longer acting methodically or thinking straight Please if anyone has any suggestions links thoughts I'd be very grateful to hear them I feel like I've tried everything but I hope there is something that someone else might think of I'm also hoping to learn something valuable for future such situations Thanks for sitting through this All - well most - comments welcome

A:Dell laptop, Win-7-HP, new HDD - System Repair/Restore fail

You may have gotten in trouble by loading a bunch of drivers into a driver-complete OS. After install, get online to do all rounds of Important and Optional Updates after enabling Automatically deliver drivers via Windows Update (Step 3).

Only then should you import any drivers that are missing.

I would start over, run the Dell Diagnostics first to know the hardware is all sound now: Dell PC Diagnostics | Dell US, then follow these steps to get a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7
which have never had a reported problem on a Dell whose hardware checks out first.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/279898-dell-laptop-win-7-hp-new-hdd-system-repair-restore-fail.html
Relevancy 58.91%

My son just gave me his laptop and I want to reset it to factory settings because he has a ton of bad files on it and it does not work well I have tried hitting F when it boots I can get into the Advanced Boot Options Menu and I can select Repair Your Computer After I select this it says Windows Repair System Laptop Not Working on Windows 7 Dell is loading Files and then it either gives me the option to do a system repair or start windows normally When I select system System Repair Not Working on Dell Windows 7 Laptop repair it just starts windows anyway I just rebooted now and it didn't even give me the option to repair my system and instead only gave me the options of entering safe mode or starting windows normally So Repair Your System Repair Not Working on Dell Windows 7 Laptop Computer is not working I have gone into bcdedit several times and tried to make changes according to recommendations that were made on these forums but they have not helped I also did the agentc disable and enable thing and that didn't work either No matter what I do it just won't reset the computer My husband swears he made backup bootable CDs when my son got the computer but as luck would have it they are nowhere to be found I looked at the hidden files and I do have a c Recovery directory Please help

A:System Repair Not Working on Dell Windows 7 Laptop

Press F8 click on Repair Your Computer . Do you see Factory restore ?

What is the model of the Dell laptop ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/286039-system-repair-not-working-dell-windows-7-laptop.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi all,

I used the Win 7 Back up & Restore to create a system repair disk plus a system image on an external HD. I'm also backing up my files/documents. Is that enough to do a complete clean re-install of everything in case of a worst-case scenario?

Another question for perhaps another thread: do you make those Rescue disks offered by AV software?

Thanks!

A:System Repair Disk + Image + Backing up files : is it enough?

Just my personal opinion FWIW.
Some people have reported less than perfect results using the native Windows 7 backup and restore tool. For that reason another free product called Macrium Reflect is often recommended instead of (or in addition to) the Windows 7 tool. I use them both and make full system images once a week.

Imaging with free Macrium

How often one should make a new system image really depends on how much data is changed on the drive being imaged. For some folks once a month may be enough. For others, a new system image every night may be required. So I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all answer.

Again, just my personal opinion about rescue disks. They can come in handy for some folks. Usually those people who don't have a system image and backed up files. Assuming a computer goes belly up because of software issues (a badly corrupted operating system, malware, etc) then a recent system image should be all you need to get up and running again. But if a computer stops working because of hardware issues, then I don't think a system image or a rescue disk will do you any good until the failed hardware is repaired or replaced.

As far as a system repair disk goes, it can be used use to boot your computer to the system recovery options to help recover your Windows 7 installation if you don't have a Windows installation disc, can't find your Windows installation disc, or can't access the recovery options provided by your computer manufacturer. A system repair disc is not able to install Windows 7. In other words, you can use the system repair disk to boot your computer and then access your system image to restore your computer.

Others may disagree with my opinions and will hopefully jump in with some other thoughts.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/332685-system-repair-disk-image-backing-up-files-enough.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I'm trying to create a system repair disk for Win7. I got my copy of windows 7 online. I downloaded it and put it on to a dvd. I used that disk to setup and install windows 7 on my pc.

Now I want to create a repair disk. I type backup in the search box, I click 'create a system repair disk. I tells me the files needed to create a system repair disk were not found on my computer. You can still create a system repair disk if you have a windows installation Cd.

That's when I put in my Windows 7 installation disk I purchased online. Then it tells me the selected drive does not have a valid windows installation.

It should. I paid $135.00 for it. What do I do now? Please help!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-creating-a-windows-system-repair-disk.941950/
Relevancy 58.48%

My wife has a DELL XPS 13 laptop, with all of the Cryptolocker attacks going on, I'm increasingly concerned and want to create a System Image of her drive. That's easy enough to do, but if her laptop was attacked, how can I get the point of asking the computer to use a system image if I can't start from a system repair disk?
It has to be possible to make a bootable USB flash drive that would work as if it was a repair disk, but I have not found a good step by step solution. Any guidance?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/create-a-system-repair-disk-for-a-laptop-with-no-cd-drive.1170470/
Relevancy 58.48%

I'm trying to make a system repair disk for another computer. When I click "create now" the bar fills up a tiny bit and it says "Preparing files..." Several hours later, the computer's still preparing files and absolutely nothing has happened.
The computer I'm making it for gets to the windows welcome screen and says "Preparing to configure windows... do not turn off your computer." and just restarts at that point. It repeats this process forever.
What's going on? How can I make a system repair disk? Is there an ISO that I can image to make one? - since the computer is just refusing to continue. Any help would be great, thanks in advance

A:Create system repair disk hangs right at the start

You can use the Windows 7 DVD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/200125-create-system-repair-disk-hangs-right-start.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I have Windows 7 loaded on a Raid 1 configuration.
I have an image of the system on D: Drive "which is on a different raid controller"

Task: Get the System Repair Disk to Book the system and see the D: Drive.

so how do I get my raid drivers on to the System Repair Disk?

A:How to ad Raid Drivers to a Windows 7 System Repair Disk

You can use the APP in this tutorial to slipstream in the drivers.
Slipstream Windows 7 SP1 into a Installation DVD or ISO File
or
SATA drivers - Load in Windows System Image Recovery

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/280397-how-ad-raid-drivers-windows-7-system-repair-disk.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Is this one of the uses for this disk?

I have never had the need t use this disk till now but as I am getting problems starting up I tried System Restore and it didn't work (I have tried 2 restore points).
Can I use the repair disk that I created on my HP desktop to mend the system or to restore it to an earlier time ?

When I open the repair disk on the computer it just shows a couple of folders (boot ,sources as well as a file called bootmgr but I can't see a hrep file to let me know what I can do...

A:Using the repair disk when system resore doesn't work.

A system repair disc allows you to start (boot) your computer system so you can access different recovery options to help recover your Windows 7. The disc is usually used if you don't have a Windows installation disc or you can't access the recovery options provided by your computer manufacturer. A system repair disc is not able to install Windows 7. In order to use the disc your computer BIOS must be configured so the CD/DVD optical drive is the first boot option.

The various recovery options include startup repair, system restore, system image recovery, memory diagnostics and command prompt.

System Recovery Options

Yes, you can use the repair disc to access your restore points, but the restore points must have already been created and saved. The disc can't restore to something that isn't already available.

If you're having startup issues you could certainly use the disc to access startup repair. This tutorial explains more about the procedure. It's recommended that you run the startup repair 3 separate times and reboot the computer after each scan.

Startup Repair

If still having issues, one of the Forum experts prepared a couple of troubleshooting guides with some additional suggestions.

Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot

Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7

Or you could use this opportunity to do a complete clean install of the operating system and get rid of the HP factory bloatware that slows the machine down.

Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/271759-using-repair-disk-when-system-resore-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Need help with getting a USB mouse or keyboard to work while using a Windows 7 system repair disk. My USB mouse seems to mostly be the problem. The keyboard works most of the time, so why doesn't the USB mouse work? Anyone?

A:No USB mouse or keyboard in Windows 7 system repair disk?

Hello Mike, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You might double check your BIOS settings to make sure that you have it set to enable "Legacy USB" or any other USB type setting to allow seeing USB devices at boot to see if that may help.

You might also try connecting them to different USB ports.

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/277669-no-usb-mouse-keyboard-windows-7-system-repair-disk.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Dear Sir or Madam,

I recently updated to Windows 8 and just now have gotten a pop up that ran a System Repair on my computer identifying many corrupt files on C: and D: drives.

System Repair
SVChost.exe Corrupt Disk
Explorer.exe Corrupt Disk

Windows Read Errors (popups that keep appearing in succession

Thank you for taking the time to evaluate my situation.

Sincerely,

Jack

A:System repair error - Explorer.exe corrupt disk

See if you can boot into SAFE MODE (boot time, strike F8 1/sec until you see the list->Safe Mode

now get a command prompt (search CMD and hit enter)
type CHKDSK C: /F /R
if this is a laptop, be sure you have A/C cord attached - - this can run for a VERY LONG TIME - -
do not interrupt or terminate it while running

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/system-repair-error-explorer-exe-corrupt-disk.189695/
Relevancy 58.48%

hello guys,

if anyone has a download link for a System Repair Disk for Win 7 Ultimate SP1, that would be awesome!!

My scenario: i deleted the 100 mb system reserved partition following the tutorial, set C drive to active by the book, went to windows setup but when i click System Recovery Options i get "this version of system recovery tools is not compatible bla bla bla" and by doing a quick search, reason for that is that my win 7 dvd is pre SP1.

i do have another win 7 (writing from now) but is 32 bit so kind of bummer!

any help very appreciated!

thanks
Gabrio

A:Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 - System Repair Disk 64 bit needed, help!!

You can download Windows 7, create an iso DVD and use that. Download the exact same version you have installed on the PC. For example, if you have Windows 7 Home 64 bit then download that version.

Windows 7 Direct Download Links

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/221118-windows-7-ultimate-sp1-system-repair-disk-64-bit-needed-help.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi, I recently corrupted my Windows data on my HP Probook 4445s when I was trying to dual-boot Ubuntu. I accidentally formatted a partition after which I am unable to start Windows.

I created a System Repair Disk from my other laptop which has the exact same OS (win 7 64 pro, sp1) and after it showed that the disk was successfully burned, I tried booting with it in my HP laptop.

However, even after changing BIOS settings to boot from CD/DVD I am unable to get it working as no matter which options I try, I get the following error message:

"Bootmgr missing. Press Ctrl+alt+delete to restart"

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

A:Windows 7 recovery problem using System Repair Disk

It sounds like the disc you created is not bootable, the data cannot be burned to the disc by normal methods, instead you need to use software to create a bootable installation media
Follow step 1 of this tutorial to create a bootable disc or pen drive Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/355945-windows-7-recovery-problem-using-system-repair-disk.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I've usually built my own and family members' computer systems, so have been using the original Windows 7 installation disks whenever I needed to do a fresh install or do a repair install, etc.

Only recently have I created Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit system repair disks, so wanted to ask what is probably a basic noob question.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the two types of Windows disks (install and system repair) is that the original installation disks will support making a fresh install of windows, and the repair disks don't.

Is this the only difference, or am I missing something?

A:Windows 7 System Repair Disk Versus Windows 7 Installation Disk

Basically a Windows 7 recovery disk allows a non-booting system to access the Advanced Options screen for start up repair, Repair install, etc. It won't restore an image, you need a installation disc for that.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/553033/windows-7-system-repair-disk-versus-windows-7-installation-disk/
Relevancy 57.62%

I have a new laptop running Win7 Pro 64 bit. I did an original system image when I first got it, so I'd have a good image if I had to revert to it.

I installed Norton and Malwarebytes, applied Windows Updates until the machine was caught up, installed my Office apps, Quicken, and Printer software, and applied all the updates I could find for the additional programs, and then made another backup.

When I made the second backup, I also tried to create a system repair disk. It failed, with an error code of 0x80070057. I have attached a screen shot showing the error.

I found some old threads on this board with various suggestions of how to approach this, but I have also experienced the fallout of trying a solution suggested for someone else when the actual underlying issues were different. So I figured I would start here.

Recommendations, anyone?

A:Create System Repair Disk Failed - Error 0x80070057

Has this issue be resolved? as it is marked as resolved?

If you have managed to fix the issue please could you provide a reply on how you fixed it to help others.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/365261-create-system-repair-disk-failed-error-0x80070057.html
Relevancy 57.62%

There is a large reference book on Win 7 called Windows 7 Inside and Out.

Even in this big book only a couple pages are on repair. I have recently moved to Win 7 from XP.
The repair routine on the XP installer cd got me out of a lot of jams.

But now it seems I need to make a separate repair cd on Win 7 through the System Image Recovery.
Even this assumes that Win7 is going does it not?

How can I build a repair cd that boots and restores the MBR where the usual problem
is after an unexpected power out or shutdown?

My most common instance of having the HD go bad is having an interrupted clone job
using Norton Ghost.

If image recovery is the wrong place to start, please give the how - to to make
a bootable repair cd/dvd.

A:Build a Repair disk with Win7 System Image Recovery

Seasons Greetings
Listen to me. I and many members of this forum, do not get overly involved with repairs etc. Just download the free Macrium Reflect, it allows you to make an image on an external hard drive. No matter what your problem, just repair with a current image. It saved me several times. I do not know about Norton, but using Macrium is the place to start.
If you still want a repair disc, this will help

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/356260-build-repair-disk-win7-system-image-recovery.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello,

I'm writing about my brother's Samsung R780 laptop (running Windows 7 64 bit), which recently stopped working. When he starts the computer, he gets the following error: "Windows Error Recovery." Searching around online led us to create a system repair disk on my laptop (which also runs Windows 7). When we boot with the disk in the drive, a prompt asking for our language (which is greyed out so we can't change it) and our keyboard (which we can change) appears. Without changing the keyboard option, we press 'next' and then it freezes.

We've also tried the 'repair your computer' option in the Advanced Boot Options, but it also freezes.

We don't know what else to try. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

A:"Windows Error Recovery." System Repair Disk Didn't Fix

See this link if it helps http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/quebecmisc/thread/12806c89-3592-4748-83dd-5b55eabec5a1

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/428560/windows-error-recovery-system-repair-disk-didnt-fix/
Relevancy 57.62%

I am trying create a backup image of my Win OS on a system that has these drives Code Backup image, disk repair create fails... to system DISKPART gt list Backup to image, create system repair disk fails... volume Volume Ltr Label Fs Backup to image, create system repair disk fails... Type Size Status Info ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- -------- Volume J DVD-ROM B No Media Volume I DVD-ROM B No Media Volume D Win NTFS Partition GB Healthy Volume G NTFS Partition GB Healthy Volume E Games Backup to image, create system repair disk fails... NTFS Partition GB Healthy Volume System Rese NTFS Partition MB Healthy System Volume H NTFS Partition GB Healthy Volume F Application NTFS Partition GB Healthy Volume C NTFS Partition GB Healthy Boot Volume K PATRIOT NTFS Removable GB Healthy The available space for the volumes listed varies from GB K to GB F the backup requires GB available storage to complete the image creation No matter which drive selected for saving the image the backup fails The error message goes a long way about not enough disk space please see the image below Creating system repair disk fails with an unspecified error as well which is ok in a sense I do have retail version of Windows A little background how the current volumes came about Drive H and F has had my previous version of Windows that I think I can still boot My current Windows has been installed on the C drive without realizing that the quot System quot partition remained on Volume or H drive Maybe having the System and Boot volumes on a different drive prevent creating the repair disk and backing up the image If that's the case is there a way moving the System partition to drive C without reinstalling Windows I don't believe that it matters but the C drive is an SSD drive TIA Cr zng

A:Backup to image, create system repair disk fails...

I think the error is referring to shadow volume space available on the 100MB system reserved partition. 100MB being less than the 500MB specified means that it needs 50MB of free space for a shadow copy.
Go to "Disk Management" and see how much free space you have on your 100MB system reserved partition.
If this is the problem:
In time it generally clears itself. But there are a couple of more immediate changes that can be made. One is to increase the size of the 100MB partition, the other is to transfer the boot functions to the Windows partition. You may need further advice on how to go about this.

Edit: I wouldn't have the system reserved and boot on different drives. So getting rid of the 100MB system reserved on E: may be the best way forward.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/134106-backup-image-create-system-repair-disk-fails.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello everybody While I EFI won't missing Disk Partition boot files, System Repair was messing around with my laptop I decided to add on a fourth operating system Arch Linux I suppose I was pushing my luck a bit Anyways during the installation I accidentally deleted the EFI system partition from my laptop which contained the Windows Boot Manager and necessary files to boot Great I only made things worse by trying to troubleshoot and broke grub as well I have a Windows repair EFI System Partition missing files, Repair Disk won't boot disk I made using the Windows built in utility but it EFI System Partition missing files, Repair Disk won't boot does not boot the computer turns on and just hangs at the Toshiba splash screen I also can obviously not access the Toshiba recovery partitions as they are booted into just like Windows itself I found a bootx efi file on one of my system's recovery partitions Toshiba seems to have some really complex system going on and placed it in EFI boot bootx efi According to this site FGA The EFI boot process I need to place the bkpbootmgfw efi on my system that was what it was called but I suspect boot-repair ubuntu tool messed something up when I was first setting up grub and the ESP and the bkp stands for backup back onto the EFI System Partition The BIOS and underlying GPT all seem to be working as I am typing this from a Linux Mint live USB If anyone who has a UEFI based system probably any computer that came preinstalled with Windows has such a system could acces their EFI partition and upload it for me I suspect my computer will boot again and from there I can get on to fixing grub Even better would be someone with a Toshiba computer as this post grub - Unable to boot Windows after Ubuntu installation - Ask Ubuntu makes me suspect all Toshiba systems are the same in this regard Someone with a Toshiba could then provide me with the system specific efi files which are used to boot into the recovery partition If not someone with experience with WindowsRE could perhaps tell me where to look for in the various Windows Imaging Format wim and swm files I have laying around my recovery partition s in order to extract the necessary EFI files Most pertinent information can be found in this thread https bbs archlinux org viewtopic p I would also much appreciate if someone was willing to supply a Windows Repair iso that works for them I will edit this post shortly for the exact error code Windows Boot Manager gives me i can access it from that lone bootx efi file I placed on the ESP Thank you very much for your time and support Edit I put in some files from recovery partition and now get this http imgur com VTyu Sz

A:EFI System Partition missing files, Repair Disk won't boot

Someone with a Toshiba could then provide me with the system specific .efi files which are used to boot into the recovery partition.

You can use the Toshiba Recovery disks to do repairs.

Did you make the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks?

Information

We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Media Creator app the first day you had your new PC.
& made the Startup Repair CD.
Recovery Drive - Create with USB Flash Drive in Windows 8
System Repair Disc - Create in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/36454-efi-system-partition-missing-files-repair-disk-wont-boot.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi im down start - wont Dell Inspiron1545 shuts system startup using repair up new on here but have used the site many times when looking for solutions Dell Inspiron1545 wont start up - system shuts down using startup repair to my problems I have a Dell Inspiron win which ran out of battery and shut down as normal Dell Inspiron1545 wont start up - system shuts down using startup repair When i went to restart it it said that it could not restore the session so i could try again or delete the data and start again I initially went for the restore twice but it failed to load up causing the machine to abruptly shut down I the decided to use the delete session and start again option which again did not work and led to the machine abruptly shutting down I started the machine up again and was prompted to runthe startup repair software which again caused an abrupt shutdown I managed to start in safe mode which lasted for mins but again shut down abruptly On the last start up i got a blue screen saying something about a serious error it only stayed on screen for secs or so so i couldnt write it down I cant do anything as the machine shuts down anytime up to mins after powering on - never getting windows running The fan is also running constantly and appears to be working very hard I have not installed any new software to the best of my knowledge Is it a HDD problem or something else Can anyone please shed some light as to why this is happening and suggest a fix if possible I need my computer back Thanks in advance Dan

A:Dell Inspiron1545 wont start up - system shuts down using startup repair

Hello! One small thought! Is your fan running and when is the last time you cleaned your vents??

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/534771/dell-inspiron1545-wont-start-up-system-shuts-down-using-startup-repair/
Relevancy 56.33%

I had this laptop for about 3 years now and im so used to it that my day wouldn't be complete without using it. a week ago it said that ,I needed to backup my files because the computer was at risks
I did ignore it and went using it even after the warning
now I cant access to anything . the  laptop said that media test failure check for cables etc.
I have no money to purchase another laptop or another hdd.
can someone help me ? if formatting is an option I will do it despite all of my files will be deleted
it will be okay if that means my dearly laptop will get wellthanks

A:Dell inspiron 15 3537 black screen after logo and cant access to recovery / repair system

Hi DHEXZTAH05 
Thanks for writing to us. 
Please load bios by tapping on f2 during bootup and check if the HD is detected. 
If possible you can try this HD on another machine or another HD on this machine. Also please run diagnostics from f12 menu and if the test passes, then consider formatting the system first. 
Do provide us your system tag#, email address and name via private message.

Regards

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19984455
Relevancy 55.47%

I recently installed a distro of Linux on my dell Inspiron, after deciding it wasn't for me I wanted to get use the windows 7 boot loader and remove Linux. No problem, I thought, I'll just boot up the windows 7 system disk, use the repair option to overwrite GRUB and delete the Linux partitions.

Problem is my dell laptop doesn't appear to have come with an install disk for windows 7. It does, however, come with a disk called 'application', 'drivers and utilities', 'resource media' and 'roxio creator strater'. There isn't a possibilty that my OS is hiding one of these is there?

A:Windows 7 System Disk for a Dell Inspiron

Hello OffAndOnAgain and welcome to TSF,

If you didn't remove the hidden recovery partition, you can restore your PC using that. Depending on what Dell machine you have, you can either restore with backup discs or with a built in startup command. Use one of the methods below:

1. Download/Buy a recovery disc here.
2. Press CTRL + F11 during bootup, choose to restore the system.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-system-disk-for-a-dell-inspiron-606791.html
Relevancy 55.47%

For a while about months now whenever I turn my desktop on i get an alert from dell's disk monitoring system telling me that the drive is working outside of normal specifications and that it XP problems monitoring Dell's system, disk Win is advisable to back up and replace the drive I have been meaning to get a new hard drive anyway to fix this but havent Dell's disk monitoring system, Win XP problems dont so yet And recently i turned my desktop on and it started giving me that error i pressed f to continue as usual where it went Dell's disk monitoring system, Win XP problems straight into xp before normally and all of a sudden as it starts up it tells me on my desktop that windows recovered from a serious error Later on I recieved an error about the svchost exe file when I was starting up but nothing unusual after that Then today i turned the desktop on and it goes into xp but then tells me that i have no internet connection and i try to go into my routers settings and try to reconnect but i can't access it At first Dell's disk monitoring system, Win XP problems i think its a router modem problem but here I am on my laptop and it works fine Furthermore when i try to restart my desktop or shut down it doesnt do the normal process of opening the windows splash screen of shutting down and goes straight into a quick reboot sometimes even when i press shut down I have run virus scans and adware to see if its any problem with that but nothing shows up and I dont use that desktop heavily for anything I am hoping that this is just all errors that are associated with my drive dying becuase then I am not so worried Are these possibly symptoms of a dying drive or is it something else in my system Also another quick question the way my desktop is now how do i go about changing the hard drive on it assuming I go and buy a new one and don't need to back anything up on that desktop that I already haven't Thanks

A:Dell's disk monitoring system, Win XP problems

I've never used that Dell disk monitoring tool and therefor dont know how reliably it diagnoses a disk problem as that - or as you are concerned about might report a disk problem when indeed there are other hidden issues.

For now lets assume its correct.

Before i will proceed to the process of replacing the harddrive i would like to mention something to consider/ take care of before you replace your HDD.

I've used other manufacturers like Gateway, HP etc and their systems didnt actually come with a installation version of Windows (XP) but something like a "recovery disk"... or drive image. In some cases the problem is they ONLY install on a HDD that is (exactly) like the HDD shipped in the original system. Now how Dell does this you could probably find out by calling their customer support and ask them if you can install a diffrent HDD and still use your DELL WinXP - but if you cant then you have to
a) buy a Dell HDD (pricey)
b) buy another HDD but then you will also have to buy a new version of Windows XP

If you end up getting a new HDD the process of switching them is fairly simple. You open the case, unplug the old one and unscrew it - take it out. Now you take your new one, make sure its jumpered like the old one, install it (with screws) and plug it in the same way the old one was.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dells-disk-monitoring-system-win-xp-problems-41576.html
Relevancy 55.47%

kan i system restore my dell e4300 without a disk , my computer says i need a disk but i cant actually locate one kan you please help me

A:dell E3400 system restore without disk ,is this possible

Hi dallyboy07,Do you want to restore the system back to factory settings(PC Restore) or you want to perform system restore?If you want to perform PC Restore, refer to the link given below:http://dell.to/1csoiIyNOTE: PC Restore will remove the data and applications on the system.Thanks & RegardsManshu S#iworkfordell

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-vista/dell-e3400-system-restore-without-disk-is-this-possible/13538.html
Relevancy 55.04%

This is a Dell laptop that has the system recovery stored in a partition on the hard disk. Ctrl+F11 on boot is supposed to access it. The owner used a standard Windows XP Home disk to install the OS and now the Ctrl+F11 no longer works.

Any suggestions on how I can reactivate the on-disk recovery would be greatly appreciated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dells-on-disk-ctrl-f11-for-system-recovery-isnt-working.741297/
Relevancy 55.04%

Have an older Dell xps running windows 7 and I need to order new operating system disk. In the past I have ordered disk from Dell and not sure if I can do the same for this system.
Thanks in advance.
Michael

A:getting replace OS Windows 7 disk from Dell for a older system

You can Download Windows 10 TH2 Installation Media and Clean Install with your Windows 7 OEM product key:
http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1RkaknDn7v-Ucth4gt0U3BHVSY7oNkWr

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19679074
Relevancy 54.61%

Having been helped by so many on this forum, I thought I'd help someone who doesn't have a Vista Repair Disk (...like ME!) and need one badly (...like ME!). Out of pure frustration and out of all other options to resurrect someone elses computer, I stuck in my WINDOWS 7 REPAIR DISK and it actually worked and repaired the Vista startup problems!!! Give it a try the next time you hose up Vista startup. My thinking was ...Windows 7 is a close "cousin" of Vista... why not?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/516295/no-vista-repair-disk-us-a-windows-7-repair-disk/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello I've been unable to access my custom build computer since around yesterday I chose to restart my computer at around that time just because it was slowing up a little and I usually do that to help I had not installed any updates or new programs since days ago when there had been a few windows updates Upon returning to my computer I noticed that it had been unable to startup and had gone straight into system repair with it with repair Can't loop system - Startup repair restore/repair/commands being 'unable to repair this computer automatically ' I rebooted several times and noticed that it was not a visible BSOD but as soon as the 'starting windows' icon began to appear it went straight into startup repair I tried to boot into safe mode tried to load previous good configuration and all of the other advanced recovery options including system restore image and many command prompts This is what it shows after being unable to repair automatically Problem signature name Startup repair Startup repair loop - Can't repair with system restore/repair/commands offline Problem signature Problem signature Problem signature unknown Problem signature Problem signature Autofailover Problem signature Problem signature Corrupt file then my O S version Locale ID This diagnostic occurs every single time I run the startup repair Also command prompts I have tried using the WindowsRE command prompt and the one found on the 'repair your Startup repair loop - Can't repair with system restore/repair/commands PC' option on the windows installation disk are -All bootrec exe fixmbr rebuildbcd scanOs fixboot to crop up with the message 'completed successfully' and 'installations of windows ' -Chkdsks of my D disk where my files and windows are located now - sfc scannow which also shows no problems either -moving the SAM BOOT Software files using a guide I found on these forums I have sufficient anti-virus protection and must stress I didn't download any new software yesterday however I do frequently run the registry cleaner option of CCleaner if that is of any importance Again all efforts to bypass the load and boot into safe mode or with last good config all just automatically lead me into startup repair with a seemingly infinite loop of 'could not repair this computer automatically' If it must come to it I am willing to do a windows complete reinstall if that is the only way to resolve this but I just wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions of commands for me to try or anything like that I see a lot of people having this 'looping system repair' issue but their's were resolved I am not much of a tech whizz and I just want to know what the issue is if it was by one of my fault's so I don't mess it up again and how to solve it I have never had this issue before it was completely random and I build my PC from scratch in January If you need any more information please let me know Thanks I am running Windows Ultimate x bit and my HDD is connected via SATA GB S Braefost

A:Startup repair loop - Can't repair with system restore/repair/commands

Have you tried copying over the backed up reg hives from the regback folder? Follow steps 8 onwards in this tut.

Startup Repair Infinite Loop Recovery

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/172357-startup-repair-loop-cant-repair-system-restore-repair-commands.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hello,

I recently purchased a used Dell Latitude E6400 laptop from a local computer shop. The computer is running windows 7 professional. I would like to create a system backup disk before I do anything on it. I want to be able to used this disk to re-image the laptop back to the original windows 7 system in case there is ever a need.

I do not have a product key for windows 7. i am not sure if this is an issue or not.

one of the people that work at the store told me about a product ACRONIS and that i could use the trial version to create the backup.

there is also the system backup program that comes with windows 7.

i am not sure what other information that you need for this request. if there is something that I missed, pleas let me know and I will try to gt if I can

Relevancy 54.18%

Now that I have your attention I'll state this more clearly - There are seldom any bugs in Windows Updates - If there are bugs they are fixed more rapidly than most other manufacturers this is due to a combination of a BUGS caveat NO :0) ARE (with IN UPDATES THERE WINDOWS a lot of feedback and the telemetry collecting data about these problems So you may ask why do we have so many problems with updates and why can we fix stuff by not installing the updates First off problems with updates are caused by many different things The most common IME is due to incompatible or outdated software being used on the THERE ARE NO BUGS IN WINDOWS UPDATES (with a caveat :0) system THERE ARE NO BUGS IN WINDOWS UPDATES (with a caveat :0) - The first item is IMO missing Windows Updates - After that comes missing updates to programs or THERE ARE NO BUGS IN WINDOWS UPDATES (with a caveat :0) using outdated versions - Also there can be bugs in the programs and again IME these aren't fixed as quickly as bugs in Windows Now let's discuss incompatibilities Incompatibilities are quirky little things that aren't seen until a certain set of circumstances occur An incompatible program can run just fine for a long long time But eventually a change to Windows or a change to another program that interacts with it can cause the incompatibility to become exposed These changes are contained in updates to Windows or to other programs Microsoft tests it's updates in many different scenarios in order to prevent these problems But there are just too many different combinations of software and hardware for them to be able to test everything - so sometimes they don't see the problem Another issue is that they may find the problem but are powerless to do anything about it other than posting it on their incompatibility pages So why can we fix stuff by removing Windows Updates It's because we remove the change that exposed the incompatibility In and of itself you'd think that this is a good solution - BUT it isn't Say for example that the change was a fix that repaired a security vulnerability Disabling removing that change would leave you vulnerable to malware Another scenario is that that change repairs a problem with Windows files Disabling removing that change would leave the problem with the Windows files - which would then be able to show up with another program or later on when something else exposes it In short Windows Updates are a very important aspect of your system's security If you have problems with Windows Updates it's advisable to find out what's causing the problem - rather than just removing the update Good luck

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/607170/there-are-no-bugs-in-windows-updates-with-a-caveat-0/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 with Vista Home Premium factory installed and now I need to install Windows 7. Before doing that I want to make sure I can restore my computer exactly to the way it came if anything goes wrong in the process of installing Win 7 or I needed back my original laptop with Vista.

Figured out the best way to create a complete image of my Hard drive.

Capacity is 320GB
4 partitions - System Partition (C), Recovery Partition, some other 2 small partitions.
I have to modify these partitions and sizes when installing Win7. I want to completely image this HDD so I can get these back exactly the way they are now.

What is the best software I can use and what are the best methods? Please give me your opinions and instructions. Thanks.

A:Creating full Image of Hard disk System & recovery partitions (Dell)

(1) Download Macrium Reflect (Free)
(2) Create an image with all 4 partitions selected
(3) Make the linux recovery boot CD
(4) Make sure the linux boot CD works and can locate the image you just made and shows the 4 partitions for selection. Exit.

If the linux boot CD fails to work as will happen on some system configurations you can try in place of the linux CD:
(1) Hirens Boot CD Macrium Reflect is part of the mini XP environment
OR
(2) Macrium pe recovery disk. To make this you will need to download the Macrium Reflect V5 trial and be prepared to do a large MS download of WAIK (~1GB). Macrium guides you through the quite straightforward process.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/190619-creating-full-image-hard-disk-system-recovery-partitions-dell.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi all - my laptop refuses to boot and when I start in repair mode I get the BSOD with just the cursor visible and nothing happens If I reboot in safe mode then it hangs at windows system drivers bootdefragdriver sys I have researched and believe this driver is linked to Glarys Utilities but am obviously unable to uninstall the program or driver because I can't boot into Windows I therefore downloaded an ISO file and created a USB boot disk as per one of your tutorials with the intention of rebooting option mode, no boot repair repair BSOD but disk upon UBS created into repair mode but when I boot from the USB BSOD upon repair mode, UBS boot disk created but no repair option and press F there is no repair mode option All it does BSOD upon repair mode, UBS boot disk created but no repair option it try to reinstall windows from scratch which I am reluctant to do Does anybody have any suggestions of how I can either delete the bad driver if that is indeed the problem or how I can still get into repair mode from the USB drive Many thanks

A:BSOD upon repair mode, UBS boot disk created but no repair option

I think if you don't want to reinstall then you could try booting the laptop with a Linux live cd/usb and renaming/deleting bootdefragdriver.sys and seeing if that helps

Peppermint Live CD/DVD/USB - Create for Emergency Backup

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/365995-bsod-upon-repair-mode-ubs-boot-disk-created-but-no-repair-option.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I recently had problems with BSOD I was able to fix the underlying cause but this got me nervous So I am thinking of starting a program of periodically creating system images of my laptop - both the C amp D drives - so that I could restore my system in the event of hardware failure Make sense I have some questions to make sure that I understand the underlying System Image amp Repair disk process amp also when I would use a Windows ISO image Am I correct that when I restore from a system image of both C amp D drives that both drives are totally recreated Will I still have a legal Repair Image & Questions 7 - System Disk, Windows Image, ISO copy of Windows when I restore using the system image Should I make sure that I have a repair disk before I restore from system image Windows 7 - System Image, Repair Disk, & ISO Image Questions If so why Is it necessary to periodically recreate a repair disk Or once a repair disk is created it is good for any future repair that may be needed There are sites where one can download a Windows ISO image i Am I correct that restoring from this image just installs Windows and no other programs ii Will I still have a legal copy of Windows when I restore using a Windows ISO image iii When would I restore using Windows 7 - System Image, Repair Disk, & ISO Image Questions a Windows ISO image rather than restoring from a System Image iv What is the recommended site to download a Windows ISO image Now for an open-ended question Is there anything else I need to be aware of Thank you

A:Windows 7 - System Image, Repair Disk, & ISO Image Questions

Users have (at least) two ways to go to overcome those unforeseen problems that occur.

a.  Make clones of the hard drive reflecting the O/S.

b.  Use backup software which creates a file which can be restored, item for item.

I have done both at some time...right now, I prefer making a clone of my O/S (dual-boot) partitions...while backing up data files on extra hard drives I have lying around.  User preference determines whether a user backs up...or creates a cloned image.

You might take a look at Macrium Reflect, a program that seems to do each pretty well.

Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download - http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Those ISO files of Windows 7...are covered by this pronouncement here at BC:  Recommending ISOs of Windows Recovery Discs or pre-made ISOs of WinPE-BartPE - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic382841.html .

In addition to being illegal...those .iso files...or any file NOT obtained from a legal, authorized source...are subject to reflect code, errors, malware...or something else that the user has not bargained for, IMO.  If I were a malware misanthrope...that would be my favorite vector...giving an unknowing public something "for free" that they have no desire to legitimately obtain.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/489199/windows-7-system-image-repair-disk-iso-image-questions/
Relevancy 52.03%

I originally was experiencing a BSOD every time my notebook was off power supply and found several comments on the web that said to completely uninstall Norton with the NRT which I did and did not change the DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE So I continued to look for solutions and found the jcgriff MVP Driver Verifier posts created a Win Pro Repair Disk and followed jcgriff 's instructions to perform the Driver Verifier process I experienced a BSOD during the HELP Repair with - Drivers Verify Disk BSODs Can't Repair process that informed that a driver had exceed allocated memory I then tried to boot the repair disk which attempted to perform a Startup Repair but failed saying the 'Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically' There appear HELP - Can't Repair Verify Drivers BSODs with Repair Disk to be no options to restore the computer using the repair disk When I view the startup repair details the HELP - Can't Repair Verify Drivers BSODs with Repair Disk problem is 'Unknown Bugcheck Bugcheck d Parameters xb dd x xaa fc c x Error Code x I've looked in my C windows minidump folder and there are no current dmp files for the BSODs I've experienced today HELP - Can't Repair Verify Drivers BSODs with Repair Disk since my effort to run Drivers Verifier The most recent is at AM long before I attempted the Driver Verifier process What's going on and how do I recover to the Repair Disk image so I can get my computer back

A:HELP - Can't Repair Verify Drivers BSODs with Repair Disk

How to Enable a Memory.dmp File Capture Using the Graphical User Interface or the Registry

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/help-cant-repair-verify-drivers-bsods-with-repair-disk-589479.html