Windows Support Forum

Not starting normally, but starting from startup options menu using normal start

Q: Not starting normally, but starting from startup options menu using normal start

A lot of Not starting startup options normally, but menu start normal from starting using adware was downloaded to my wife's laptop and I was trying to remove it The problems included Strongvault some adware coupons in several flavors and a registry cleaner After ahving successfully uninstalled several programs and cleaned up the adware there were still remnants of Strongvault Whenever the Laptop started it would attempt to install something and the event viewer pointed to Strongvault I first ran Malwarebytes' AntiMalware software wich found some things I had not seen earlier but the install rpoblem persisted I then ran Hitman Pro and after that the problems started If I start Windows normally it stops and asks me to run Startup Repair or Start windows normally Startup Repair truies to restore to the last good image but the system restore fails I tried to start up in safe mode which works When going into the startup options I can also start windows normally and it starts up but not with the usual settings such as the see-through task bar etc but things appear to work When the normal start fails there are nothing in the event viewer to clue me into what the problem would be Does anybody have any suggestion as to what I can try to get some traces to see where things go wrong

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Not starting normally, but starting from startup options menu using normal start

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Not starting normally, but starting from startup options menu using normal start

Have you looked at msconfig?

Click start and type in msconfig and press enter.  Under the Services tab click the "hide all microsoft services" check box at the bottom and you can safely turn everything off, and then under the Startup tab you can turn everything there off.  This will at least boot cleanly and you can see how things go.

Understand some of these services and startup programs may be something you use all the time, so if there's something missing that you need starting up with the system go back through the services and startup sections and look for the one you want.  The biggest problem I usually see with people that are new to using msconfig are printer / scanner / digital camera related (Lexmark is usually indicated with an lx... listing, and hp digital imgaing for auto starting your camera / scanner software)

Just another road to explore if you haven't already.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/515403/not-starting-normally-but-starting-from-startup-options-menu-using-normal-start/
Relevancy 49.45%

Logitech has decided that it's sick of their old, outdated brand, today launching a new look for the company that will supposedly place "design at the core" of its products, while building on its "hertiage as a technology company". ...

Read more

A:Logitech to focus on design, starting with a brand new logo

Nothing wrong with the logo, except the "g" that is hurting my brain.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/logitech-to-focus-on-design-starting-with-a-brand-new-logo.216342/
Relevancy 18.06%

I have a dell latitude e6510 that won't start up. When I push the power button, the cooling fan starts up, several of the lights on the case come on for about five seconds (hdd and power) and then the whole thing powers down.
Anyone have any ideas?
Any help greatly appreciated!

A:Dell Latitude E6510 will not start up

Have you tried a hard start. Disconnect the battery and power cord. Then hold down the power button for about 30 seconds. Then try reconnecting the battery or the power plug and see if it will start. If this dose not work you might what to post your computer or laptops Model and make plus your systems specs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-latitude-e6510-will-not-start-up.183347/
Relevancy 49.02%

Corsair has unveiled the world's first available 128GB DDR4 unbuffered memory kits. Aimed squarely at content creators running memory-hungry applications, the three new kits are available in Corsair's Dominator Platinum Series and Vengeance LPX and lines.

Read more

A:Corsair launches 128GB DDR4 kits starting at $1755

This is how I felt while reading this... and then when I saw the price.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/corsair-launches-128gb-ddr4-kits-starting-at-1755.213139/
Relevancy 23.22%

As I don't go menu and Monitor's won't buttons the work away am writing this I have this blue square on the screen with all the settings for this monitor Whichever button I press on the monitor the menu won t go away Not even the power button works so that means I can Monitor's menu won't go away and the buttons don't work t disable Monitor's menu won't go away and the buttons don't work the monitor Unplugging and plugging it back in doesn t work as soon as the picture appears the menu appears Monitor's menu won't go away and the buttons don't work as well Let me give you a bit of a history as it might help determine the cause About a month ago my old monitor monitor started behaving weird It started turning itself off every now and again Sometimes few times a minute Every time it turns off it turns back on with the splash screen saying quot BENQ quot and everything I had no idea why it does that I tried pressing the buttons on it to go into the menu but every button seemed to shut it off and every button seemed to turn it on So I gave it to a family friend to try and fix it He said that the quot control board quot started dying and that he doesn t have a spare one or something like that He then gave me a spare monitor of his monitor until I can buy a new one or fix monitor So I took monitor from him and sent monitor to the shop so they can try and fix it About a week passes and the shop calls and says that they fixed monitor I go and pick it up and when I came home I unplug monitor and plug in monitor monitor was working perfectly then Monitor worked for about minutes and started shutting down again And when I tried using the buttons they wouldn t work again Same thing as last time So I return it to the shop and tell them that it doesn t work That was about a week and a half ago They still didn t fix it The problem is now the monitor also started having problems It doesn t turn off yet but the menu buttons don t work Power button doesn t work Nothing And on top of that the menu won t disappear from the screen As I am typing this there s a menu on top of everything Every now and again the menu will switch to a different option like quot brightness quot quot auto adjustment quot and such like the buttons are being pressed Now I am wondering could it be that my PC is quot breaking quot these monitors Is there a way for a PC to physically damage a monitor What should I do in that case Also I should say that ever since monitor died and after I installed monitor my PC has been getting blue screens of death It hasn t happened once in years since I got this PC and it started after I got monitor I don t know if that s something that s important but there it is If you need more info please let me know I am trying to figure out what is happening and every bit of help is appreciated Thank you nbsp

A:Monitor's menu won't go away and the buttons don't work

No one has any relevant information?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitors-menu-wont-go-away-and-the-buttons-dont-work.212651/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi,

We have a Lexmark X5630 printer at work. Everything seems to fine visually on it, when I plug in the power the light from the color/black button is flashing green but when I press the power on button nothing happens. There are no other signs of life except the color/black button flashing green the whole time.

Please help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lexmark-x5630-isnt-starting-up.212512/
Relevancy 18.06%

My Dell Inspiron 5520 will respond when I press the power button, will flash all the LEDs and then just shut down. The whole process takes about 6 seconds. The fan starts up but nothing is displayed on the screen and there are no weird beeps. Any ideas on what is happening or how to get it to complete booting up?

I got this in December of 2012 and have had very few other problems with it

A:Dell Inspiron 5520 Will not start up

Are you comfortable with disassembling the laptop? Really the only thing we can test is removing the Hard Drive, RAM, and DVD player.

First I would try the HD and DVD to see if either of those are stopping it from powering for what ever reason, and you will still get something on the screen and see if it boots.

Once you remove RAM you are not going to get anything on the screen, it doesn't POST(Power-On Self-Test) it will fail guaranteed, but you "SHOULD" get beeps, however the problem with that is ensuring the MB is actually causing the Beep, and if it's not it'll just do the same thing regardless, it's best to have some spare RAM that you know works to test with. (Same speeds and kind, need to be sure) The reason for this is to make sure that it's not RAM but you're not just getting the same issue.

Putting in some spare RAM will at least allow you to ensure it's not just the RAM chips, one thing to try if you have multiple sticks of RAM is try each stick separately, and in each slot to make sure it's not one stick or one slot causing and issue.

The only other things to make sure is the power that is getting to the laptop is clean power. Two ways to do this as well, firstly you can test the power supply using a Multi-Meter if you have one and know how to use it. You can check the voltages on the power supply, Connect to the wall and test the first portion to ensure 120V clean power, then if its good, test it going through the transformer and check the bottom of the laptop (Possibly underneath the battery) for the proper Voltage and Amperage. Test with the multimetre and see if it matches, if its not giving proper power it can cause tons of issues.

The other option is to buy a universal power supply and change the voltage to match the laptop and then try it. Due note that not ALL universals work with all models of laptop and that it's not the recommended way of power, it's best to use the adapter designed by the company, specially for HP's and Dell's as they seem to be much more proprietary than other companies.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-5520-will-not-start-up.208719/
Relevancy 49.88%

I have just installed the latest driver from Kyocera for the FS-1020D. I am using the USB connection. This problem has occurred with Windows 7 Professional and Windows 8.

When I print the page, the print doesn't start until between 5cm and 14cm down the page (I tried printing off 5 pages, the first page started printing 14 cm down, then the remaining 4 pages left a top gap of 5 cm).

Any ideas?

A:Kyocera Fs-1020D - print starting hal-way down page

Cancel this request - I don't understand why, but after I tried printing from the MP tray, it suddenly sorted itself out and is now printing perfectly from both paper trays!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/kyocera-fs-1020d-print-starting-hal-way-down-page.208284/
Relevancy 19.78%

I remember some time ago I found a option which made my computer connect itself to the internet but now I cant find it.Help?

A:Have to manually connect to the internet on startup

Make and Model of computer? What Operating System are you using?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/have-to-manually-connect-to-the-internet-on-startup.207918/
Relevancy 19.78%

I have done everything I can think of. I have windows 7 64 bit. I have disabled/re-enabled sound cards, uninstalled/reinstalled drivers. I have checked all settings I possibly can think of. My head phones work GREAT and on startup I can hear the sound, but once in windows, no sounds through my speakers.

Any suggestions?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-hear-windows-startup-but-after-that-nothing-headphones-work-though.207890/
Relevancy 22.36%

My brother's laptop is a Packard Bell EasyNote TK87, Like mine, it runs w/ 7 32-bit.

More Detail of problem:
When I click the power button it has the logo and option 'Click F2 for startup menu' I don't click the key and it says 'loading...' and I'll just rebooting the laptop. How to resolve this problem

A:Everytime My Brother Starts His Laptop The Shortcut Key For The BIOS Menu Automatically is pressed.

Go here and make sure u don't have a key stuck. http://www.keyboardtester.com/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/everytime-my-brother-starts-his-laptop-the-shortcut-key-for-the-bios-menu-automatically-is-pressed.206924/
Relevancy 17.2%

Printer Problems in Windows XP sp3
Dell Personal Printer all in one A940
After trying to speed up an older computer running Windows XP
I may have cut off the Print Spooler (or it was already off ?)
I went back to Services dialog box & selected Print Spooler
I clicked the "Start" link at left of service list & got a message tgat said
"could not start print spooler service on local computer error 1068 The dependency service or group failed to start."
Printer is still not working can anyone help?

A:Could not start print spooler service on local computer error 1068

On Win/7 the dependencies are

HTTP

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
DCOM Server Process Launcher
RPC Endpoint Mapper
Manually start each on and set to AUTOSTART as you go.
If one fails, then that is the root problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/could-not-start-print-spooler-service-on-local-computer-error-1068.206839/
Relevancy 17.63%

I use a nice old Asus VW266 27" LCD monitor that's at least 5 years old.

Recently, it suddenly started taking several minutes to finally detect a signal after turning on the computer.

When the computer is off, the power light on the monitor is orange. When I turn on my computer, it blinks blue until it detects a signal, at which point it goes solid blue. This takes about 3 minutes during which time the monitor is off (no logo, no backlight).

Once the monitor finally "warms up", it suddenly detects a signal and instantly turns on (no "fade in"). I connected it to on-board video to rule out my video card. Once it starts working, it's perfect. Runs fine for hours. No flicker, no fading, no outages.

So, is my monitor dying? What might be wrong and is there a way to fix it w/o spending a fortune? (it is very hard to find affordable 16:10 monitors nowadays, so I'm not anxious to replace it.)

Thx.

A:Monitor taking minutes to start. Is it dying? Fixable?

I think this is easy to fix ...
Don't worry
Just some tests must be done by a technician to know what exactly is happening

You may also try to unplug the monitor after it detects the signal and reconnect it to see what will happen ... This may make it more easy to determine what is wrong

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-taking-minutes-to-start-is-it-dying-fixable.205974/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hello,

I just finished assembling my first build. At first it turned on without a hitch, was able to install windows and a few drivers.

I had to restart a few times, which went fine for the first few times, and then it just didn't boot back up. The power button doesn't do anything, the fans don't start, nothing happens.

When I jump the psu, all the fans start, so I'm thinking the issue must be with the mobo..

Here's a list of all the parts I'm using : http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/JFVvD3

Thanks.

A:Mobo issue? Custom build won't start anymore

First, are any wires touching that might be causing a short such as a wire touching the back of the mobo? Second, I had something similar happen to me a few years ago with a new build. There is a tried and true though often tedious way that can help diagnose possible issues.

1. Remove all hardware except for one RAM stick from the motherboard and this includes Sata and fan connections to peripherals such as your SSD, etc,

2. Now see if the system boots with only the one RAM stick. If it boots then shut down add the second stick of RAM and then reboot. If it boots then repeat by adding a piece at a time.

3. If is doesn't boot then it is either your mobo or your power supply. Also, check to see if your heat sink is seated correctly.

BTW, nice little system there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mobo-issue-custom-build-wont-start-anymore.205000/
Relevancy 18.49%

Help me please my laptop Brand Nec is Cant up Start Wont start up and my laptop is not have a cd rom that is why I cant boot it when I turn it on it said We apologize etc just like below when I choose Start windows normaly It cause a Bluescreen and it turn it off again Somebody help me please Im tired to make Cant Start up my laptop okey This the writen on the black screen We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully A recent hardware or software change might have caused this If your computer stopped responding restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed or if you aren t sure what caused the problem choose Start Windows Normally Safe Mode Safe Mode with Networking Safe Mode with Command Prompt Last Known Good Configuration your most recent settings that worked Start Windows Normally Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice Seconds until Windows starts Help me please please I trust you nbsp

A:Cant Start up

Can you get into the Safe Mode?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-start-up.204505/
Relevancy 19.35%

Hi Guys,

I would like to seek help regarding my laptop (Dell Inspiron 3437). I oftenly encounter a very slow start up/booting and also there are times that shutting it down takes too long also as if it is not responding, which will result to forced shutting it. I need help in this.

Thanks you very much.

A:Dell Inspiron 3437- Startup and shutdown problem

Which Windows and how much free space do you have?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-3437-startup-and-shutdown-problem.204241/
Relevancy 15.48%

Hi, so today I unplugged my computer while it was still running by accident. Now it wont start at all, no lights, no fans, nothing. I am concerned that it may be a problem with my power supply (maybe fried it or something). And no its not a problem with the cord (I tried a different one), its not a problem with the power switch (the one that you switch to either circle or line) because I tried it both ways. However recently my computers power button stopped working so my brother hooked up an old keyboard to my computer so to start it I will press a key on that keyboard and it will start up my computer, so I have to keyboards one to start the computer up and one to type. So in summary im not really sure what the problem is but im 90% sure it has something to do with either my "power keyboard" of my Power Supply so yeah. Any help will be apreciated

A:Accidentaly unplugged computer without shutting down. Computer will not start.

Try and get a psu off a friend who might have a extra one. Go from there. This way you might be able to narrow it down. It really hard to say what happen .

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/accidentaly-unplugged-computer-without-shutting-down-computer-will-not-start.203970/
Relevancy 49.88%

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop which I have just discovered has a faulty battery, and although it is plugged into a power socket, won't start up. Any thoughts on how I can get around this?

A:Starting Dell laptop when battery faulty

Remove the battery...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/starting-dell-laptop-when-battery-faulty.202880/
Relevancy 17.63%

when i start my computer, it goes to the gateway start page, and after a while (it's quite slow) it goes to the black page, and this is what it says:

Intel Boot Agent FE v4.1.10
Copyright (C) 1997-2003 Intel Corporation

Intel Boot AGent PXE Base Code (BA 1210BC-GW1)
Copyright (C) 1997-2003 Intel Corporation

PXE-E61 media test failure check cable
PXE-M0F exiting Intel Boot Agent

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media
in selected boot device.

it just stays on that screen until i do a CTRL ALT DEL, then it goes back to the Gareway screen and after about 30 seconds finally boots up and i get the Windows XP start up page, and it opens up my desktop and i can continue .

Can anyone tell me why this started happening and how to correct it?

A:Computer start up is bringing up boot agent message

How old is the computer, or the hard drive. It appears you have a failed or failing hard drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-start-up-is-bringing-up-boot-agent-message.150663/
Relevancy 26.23%

So here is the deal I 27-inch monitor 2560x1440 (limited options) am in search of 27-inch 2560x1440 monitor (limited options) a -inch monitor with a x resolution so I can use it with my early -inch retina MacBook Pro and also with other laptops such as my girlfriend s Asus VivoBook and any other 27-inch 2560x1440 monitor (limited options) laptop that I decide to buy I have alrady discarded a x model as I learned that my retina MacBook Pro will not support such a high resolution on an external screen I do not use it for heavy photo or video editing or anything It is basically web browsing and productivity office applications First an explanation The fact is that I live in Brazil and offers of p monitors here are very limited I cannot just order a monitor from the US or from other country such as Korea because the huge taxes charged by the government will make it just not worth it I have made the calculations Even a very cheap US monitor will end up costing about US when it arrives in my home due to the magic of Brazilian taxes And a US monitor may end up costing almost US And that is only after the Brazilian customs office decides to release the product which may take a few months Perhaps you have heard of some guy who sends products to Brazil at no additional cost and that really exists It is calling smuggling and people may get caught doing that and I am not ordering a monitor through a smuggler to save a few bucks No workarounds here So the option of not buying in Brazil is pretty much non-existant so that is why I am stuck with the limited choices and therefore I am asking for your help here So the choices are pretty much limited The Apple Thunderbolt Display costs about US here and I will not buy it apart from the price also because it will not work with laptops which do not support Thunderbolt The following monitors are available here for a reasonable or at least payable price and not all of them are readily available Philips P QPJKEB US Dell UltraSharp U HM US weeks to be delivered Samsung SyncMaster S A US LG EA R US sold out for now Basically these are the only options I have The Dell is the cheapest one to buy in the credit card but it will take something like a month to arrive or maybe even more The LG model one is sold out for now but it comes and goes all the time so I might end up finding one The Samsung and the Philips models are ready for shipment and will be delivered in about a week or so As I understand the LG and the Dell models use the same IPS panel as the Apple Thunderbolt Display The panel is made by LG and is has a nit brightness The Samsung and the Philips on the other hand both share the same PLS panel made by Samsung and they sport a nit brightness PLS is supposed to be Samsung s answer to IPS I would like to know which of these monitors is better and would be more recommended First which panel is the best Second which monitor is the best and most polished Thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/27-inch-2560x1440-monitor-limited-options.201230/
Relevancy 18.06%

So my deafult gateway dosnt start with 192.168 but for my laptop it does and my brothers pc does for me it starts with 46.109.248.1 Any Help I cant portforward Help me il try anything and my Router is Technicolor

A:Deafult gateway doesn't start with 192.168

Can we assume "my laptop it does and my brothers pc does" applies to his pc connected to your router?

login as an admin, get a command prompt and issue these two commands
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

reboot

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/deafult-gateway-doesnt-start-with-192-168.200832/
Relevancy 19.78%

I have a prob,whit a geforce 8800 gts 512mb.

I got it from a secondhand site and all was alright till I started to overclock

Nothing big,oc at 16% and the temp was 60*C wich aint so high.But when I started the pc next day,I got only black screen,no bios no safe mod no nothing.

I have a
pentium D 805 2.66
gigabyte ga-8i945pl-g as mobo
500 mb ram drr II/ 4 slotsX 500=2gb
acopia dual fan it-25f2 -psu

I know the mobo aint dead cuz I tested with my other gpu,and it worked
Did a bios reset-still black screen
changed the ram position
tried with other monitor
dvi-vga adapter works(I tested on the other gpu)
Nothing worked

I noticed that now when I start the pc,the gpu fan speed doesn't change I mean its at 100% but when I had a image on the screen at the start up,the fan speed was at 100% only for 3 sec,then it changed lets say at 50% after those 3 sec.

should I try the bake fix or its a certain dead card?

Sry for my spelling mistakes hope u can give me an answer cheers.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-startup-8800-gts.199989/
Relevancy 27.52%

As the tilte says my CPU is jumping to 100% usage for a few seconds then back to normal (40-50%) when playing games.
This is more noticeable when I'm streaming and is more frequent.

This happens when playing games and streaming but not when idle or internet use.

My CPU jumps to 100% use and causing a massive fps drop froim 45-50 to 6fps for the few seconds that it is at full load.

CPU - FX 8320 @4.4Ghz
H100i Cooling
Motherboard - Asrock 970 extreme 4
GPU - GTX 550ti (evga stock speeds)
12GB ram - 8gb crucial tracer tactical and 4gb corsair vengance
1tb WD Black for main storage and OS
1tb WD blue for recordings
264gb ssd's with DayZ on one and arma 2 on the other

any help would be great.

A:CPU jumps to 100% then back to normal when playing games

Alright, what's the process taking up 100% CPU?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpu-jumps-to-100-then-back-to-normal-when-playing-games.199679/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi, when I run OCCT my max temps after five minutes go up to 72 degrees.I have a 4770K running at stock speeds. I honestly expected much lower max temps from a H100, is that normal?

A:Is 72 degrees normal for a H100?

This guy over at Overclock.net says that his 4770K gets up to 60C when gaming. Your radiator might be dirty and may need to be cleaned. Also, I recommend replacing the stock fans with "Static Pressure fans". The fans on the H100 are less than stellar. When did you hook up the H100? If it was a while ago, the solutions I provided above may help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-72-degrees-normal-for-a-h100.199674/
Relevancy 19.78%

My HDD sounds like it is reading for a good 3-5 minutes on startup. Programs run after a minute or so - albeit very slowly...

Does this mean its new HDD time as it is a good few years old, or do I have hidden files starting.

I have cleared out what I can find that I don't need at boot....

Any suggestions?

A:HDD reading for a long time on startup

How many autoupdate programs are running in your services AND
(for me) the Avast! A/V program induces this behavior.

I've reduced the autoupdates on my laptop, but love Avast! and have learned to just accept it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-reading-for-a-long-time-on-startup.199066/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hi I ve start new after installing vga? won't Games a just bought a new vga Radeon HD I had Games won't start after installing a new vga? GT before Everything was fine I downloaded the drivers played some games and everything was ok Games won't start after installing a new vga? After testing it I decided to uninstall the Nvidia drivers because it seems to me that I didn t need them anymore I did it using the programs and features in Control Panel after restarting the PC the games I tried didn t start Assassin s creed IV Black Flag when I tried to start it nothing happend and nothing changed in task manager Battlefield It says that I need directx which is weird cause I have the newest directx installed on my PC Also KMplayer won t work it doesn t show any video but plays the sound VLC and jetaudio work just fine System Games won't start after installing a new vga? Information OS Windows Ultimate SP Processor Intel Core i CPU Motherboard J amp W JW-H T-PRO RAM GB VGA Radeon HD So what should I do Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Games won't start after installing a new vga?

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the amd drivers and it got fixed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/games-wont-start-after-installing-a-new-vga.198393/
Relevancy 26.23%

So I recently did a system overhaul moving from Asus M4N78 to the Hero VI. One thing that I have noticed (other then all the other goodies) that the bass options are not so great. Is there any way to turn them up more? I remember having an option in Windows where I could adjust the DB but unfortunately the BASS adjustment tab is no there.

Any ideas or suggestions? This really renders my headphones useless :3

Thanks in Advance

A:Weak bass options from SupremeFX (Asus Hero VI)

Try using the options in the Realtek app

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/weak-bass-options-from-supremefx-asus-hero-vi.197214/
Relevancy 20.21%

I can't get my hard drive to start. I did a complete format and now it will not boot up when I put my Windows 8 cd in.. I'm sure it was a bad move on my part. I just wanted to clean it out and start over. Do I need to find drivers for my hard drive? Any help please , thank you

A:Hard Drive Startup

Hey kesler7.
Did this pc in question come with Win8 and with this disk ?
If you are familiar with accessing the BIOS, does it show that the drive is present ?
If it does show and the drive is working properly, if the drive is set as the first boot device in the Boot section of the BIOS, or maybe be set as the first boot device using an F key sequence on startup, it should recognize the drive at power up where you can start the reinstall of Win8.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-startup.197469/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hi,

I have Windows XP SP3 installed on my desktop and suddenly my LAN/NIC is not receiving and sending packets from my network. The DHCP Client Services and TcpIP services wont start it gives error from the above.

From the device manager of non-plug and play drivers, the tcpip protocol driver, ip network address translator and netbios over tcpip has exclamation point. When I uninstall the drivers and start the services the connection is established but when I shutdown/restart the PC it will came back again the issue.

AFD is running

Below drivers are present in system32\drivers folder.

afd.sys
tcpip.sys
netbt.sys
Any ideas?

A:DHCP Client Service Won't Start - Error 1068

Hello,

I update the system and the LAN driver but still the issue exist.

I copy the netbt.sys from a working machine and paste that to the non-working machine. Same problem.

Is there other way resolving this issue aside from repairing or fresh install of the OS?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dhcp-client-service-wont-start-error-1068.197233/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi all,
I am planning to build a new machine and am wanting to start with the case,,,was wondering if I will strike any difficulties installing old hardware into a new case (apart from the front USB 3.0).
I have been looking at firstly the Gigabyte Sumo Omega here then after I found that I could not get a supplier here in Aus. Struck upon the SilverStone brand here which I should be able to purchase Downunder.

Would it be possible to install in a newer case ? (not planning on going to a smaller form factor) this current Mobo configuration GA- 8KNXPUltra FJ Ultra (with DPS) -Gigabyte-,,?
Thanks in advance

A:Building a new machine starting with case

Whoa a Pentium 4:

Well yes I don't see a problem with that as the screw configs have not really changed and most cases come with tons of different screw holes for all sizes of motherboards (Its normally the Extended ATX boards that are harder to satisfy).

You should not have a problem grabbing a new case and putting your old components in, they will fit in a normal sized case with ease!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/building-a-new-machine-starting-with-case.196653/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hello all,

Here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVm4jGNhxSQ
MB: New coming Asus Maximus VI Impact
CPU: Intel i5 4670K
GPU: MSI TF GTX 760 OC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8G 1600
CPU cooler: Corsair H80i
PSU: Seasonic X serie 650
SSD: Samsung Pro 840 128G
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1T
Case: Bitfenix Prodigy white

So the installation was not easy, but I finally managed to install all carefully. I made a super clean windows 7 ultimate 64 bit installation and installed all driver correctly.

The only problem is this: I get this annoying hard drive clicking noise from the H80i. I don't know if it is the pump or the fans or the radiator. But I am pretty sure that I comes from the cpu cooler.

So what do you think about this issue and which component could be the source of the problem? Thank you very much in advance. Regards.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/corsair-h80i-startup-clicking-noise.196394/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hi, I recently bought a new laptop from other country, its brand new. Lenovo c580 with 6gb ram and 1tb hard drive. when I click on Start button, nothing happens, the laptop doesn't start. I tried to charge it, but still no luck. I can see battery is charging but it doesn't start
Any ideas?

A:Lenovo c580 wouldn't start

Sorry its lenovo g580

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lenovo-c580-wouldnt-start.196294/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hi guys.
I have problem in starting my Laptop,window could not start normall I got black screen infront
of me whenever I start it so I have to ctrl+Alt+del to start it then thats the time windows is up and
running.What seems to be the problem?Please help I no idea in this issue

A:Windows 8 start up issue

Hi Bonmar,

It may be possible that Secure sign-in requiring all users to press Ctrl+Alt+Del is enabled on your computer. This generally provides an additional layer of security to protect the system.

In order to disable this option, please try the following steps:

In the Start screen, type netplwiz in the Search box, and then press ENTER.
Administrator permission is required. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Click the Advanced tab, un-check the "Require users to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete" check box, and then click Apply/Ok.
Hopefully, this may resolve the issue for you. Please reply if you have further queries.

Thanks and regards,
Babita G
#iworkforDell

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-8-start-up-issue.195528/
Relevancy 26.66%

I have a eMachines EL1210-09 and I was wondering what CPU upgrades are available for it. I do not have very much info. about the computer itself. If you could give me a few options that would be great! Also I am a new member so please for give my mistake as I am still trying to figure everything out. Thanks

A:eMachines EL1210-09 CPU upgrade options

Following are the specifications for the eMachines EL1210 desktop series.

eMachines EL1210-09 Desktop PC Athlon LE-1620(2.4GHz) 2GB DDR2 160GB HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce 8200 Windows Vista Home Premium

Socket AM2 Energy Efficient / 65nm SOI _ LE-1620 _ 2.4GHz _ 1MB _ 45W

AMD Athlon? X2 processor (45 W max)
AMD Athlon processor
AMD Sempron? processorClick to expand...

I'm afraid I don't know enough about the tech to suggest a CPU.
All I can tell you is that the AM2 socket was used in that model.
I wish you luck in your search.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/emachines-el1210-09-cpu-upgrade-options.173615/
Relevancy 19.78%

I have an Emachines HDmonitor model number LE1987 that came with the computer. I start up my computer and the monitor comes on and shows the boot screen, but only for a few seconds before going black. I turn the monitor off and back on, the screen shows my computer(at login screen now) but goes black after a few seconds again. I repeat the process but no luck the monitor wont stay on. The monitor is a little old (4 years)
I've tried hooking it up to 2 other computers thinking its my computer, but the same thing happens every time on all computers. By the way im using vga.

Any solutions? Bad monitor? Anything would help. If I have to get new monitor then thats fine.

A:Monitor wont stay on after startup

Are you able to swap out your monitors Vga chord for another chord. To see if this maybe the problem. If you have already tried it it on two other computers with the same results. It may very well be on its way out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-wont-stay-on-after-startup.194554/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hey there I own a Samsung laptop the model is NP E C I left my computer on the couch rushed off to work and came home to find it on the ground I figured it fell off the couch which is about a foot off the ground When I turned it on the fan was making a loud noise and it was clearly damaged or out of alignment Instead of spending money taking it in I decided to have a look and popped the back off I took the fan off and cleaned it and then put it back However the hard drive was connected to the back cover by a little plug which went into the motherboard so I took that off in order to screw the fan back in place I put the cover back on and tried to put the hard drive chord thingy into stuck menu at Computer boot the motherboard again but it seemed a bit loose I then turned the computer Computer stuck at boot menu on after screwing everything back and now it only goes to the boot menu and no matter what I do whether it be changing the settings back to default Computer stuck at boot menu or trying to keep that plug stable nothing will get me to Windows Did I take something apart that was not supposed to come off nbsp

A:Computer stuck at boot menu

Seriously? No one has any advice? lol

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-stuck-at-boot-menu.194260/
Relevancy 27.95%

ok so last night well early morning hours my laptop started playing up sony vaio its screen went red while I was using it then it went back normal then about an hour later it went red again but this time it didn t go so shut down my laptop and started it up again but it was still red but this time there normal? :s red screen then and went went Laptop back why? was so lines on the screen so I just turned off my laptop and went to sleep am I was planning on telling my mum in the morning without her killing me so that she would take it into pc world and get it fixed but now I woke up am and I turned on my laptop I was praying at the same time lol and bam it starts normal no red screen everything is fine I was thinking should I still take it into pc world and have them take a look or should I leave it and also why did this happen s nbsp

A:Laptop screen went red and then went back normal? :s why?

I've had my desktop PC screen go red with a new AMD graphics card. In that case, it was a driver update and it was ok.

Maybe worth a shot...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-screen-went-red-and-then-went-back-normal-s-why.193715/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hey I am sorry if I posted in the wrong section I didn t know where to post I just bought a new computer in April and I ve been gaming on Brand To Make Noise PC New Starting it about hours a week since Just recently I noticed a subtle high pitched hum ONLY WHEN I M IN GAME I can go to the main menu and it will stop I Brand New PC Starting To Make Noise have well enough the minimum requirements to play the games I do so it s not like I m trying Brand New PC Starting To Make Noise to overload my PC Could this be a hard drive issue Intel QC i - gb DDR SDRAM Unfortunately I just found out I have a Seagate Barracuda TB SATA Gbs MB Cache RPM Inch Desktop Hard Drive which may be the problem nVidia GeForce GTX Gb Don t know PSU yet sorry Does this sound familiar to anyone I have a year warranty so whatever the problem is I should be able to get fixed I wanted to see if anyone might have an idea of what it could be It s hard to tell where the noise is coming from I m guessing it s either the PSU or H D nbsp

A:Brand New PC Starting To Make Noise

It could just simlpy be your fans speeding up? When I game, as the computer gets hotter the fans in my PC speed up. When in the menu, it cools down so the fans slow down Its just a guess though...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/brand-new-pc-starting-to-make-noise.192882/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi, I recently installed Norton 360 onto my OSwin7 Toshiba laptop andsubsequently now the computer wont start. it comes up with startup repair then says startup repair failed... is there any way to fix this issue? or get my files off the hdd onto another laptop??

A:Any help for a startup issue?

Firstly, I would never recommend Norton to anyone, its not as good as it appears - their marketing is just very good! Try starting it up in safe mode (push F8 non-stop from the moment you boot the PC and then select safe mode with the keyboard). If it starts up and you log in, open system restore (start > accessories > system tools > system restore) and restore the computer to a time before you isntalled Norton. It should help get it back up and running. If it doesn't work, I'll give you an alternative

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/any-help-for-a-startup-issue.192907/
Relevancy 18.49%

I issues start New up gpu have a Dell Inspiron gb RAM i - New gpu start up issues ghz processor I recently upgraded my psu and gpu My gpu is a visiontek RadeonHD gb The power supply came in first so I installed it a couple days earlier still no issues with it The GPU however booted up fine the first time messed around on a game for about an hour I went to check for driver updates halfway through the update the screen went black I plugged it back in the the onboard graphics uninstalled the drivers re installed Now the only way to get it to display through the new card is to start up with the onboard then switch plug ins while the computer is on Also I have tried disabling the onboard graphics and this didn t fix it either Long story short I now get nothing but a black screen when trying to load with the new gpu I know its not a very good graphics card I plan on ordering a new one today if the issue is with my gpu and not the mother board nbsp

A:New gpu start up issues

What drivers version are you using? Are you using a recent release, or are you using an older version? You stated that you uninstalled and then re installed the drivers, but did not mention what version. AMD Catalyst has some new beta drivers out that might not be fully compatible with all video cards. Have you tried to use older drivers and see if you still have the same problem?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-gpu-start-up-issues.192902/
Relevancy 19.78%

I recently changed my display out. Every time I boot up the computer I have to unplug and plug back in the connector shown in the photo to have full color, otherwise it is a very dim screen. Using windows xp. Any thoughts????

A:Dell Inspiron screen dim on startup

Was the replacement LCD panel the same part number as the old panel?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-screen-dim-on-startup.191959/
Relevancy 17.2%

So my laptop has started to freeze a minute or two after start up even though it was working fine a few hours ago hours laptop working fine freezes up, after a VAIO start Sony was few ago I was sat talking to a Sony VAIO laptop freezes after start up, was working fine a few hours ago friend over facebook chat when my laptop started screaming with a really high pitched noise I had Sony VAIO laptop freezes after start up, was working fine a few hours ago to turn it off to stop it When I restarted it and booted it back up it said it was defragging something Sony VAIO laptop freezes after start up, was working fine a few hours ago it was a while ago and I cant remember what it said after that I logged in and now it freezes after a couple of minuets I ve tried system restoring it and using the built in memory repair and it still wont work However once I disabled all the non microsoft services it boots up and doesnt freeze untill I try to open a program I can start it in safe mode but thats about it I ve spent the past couple of hours searching for a solution but can t find one so ay help will be much appritiated I m using my Xbox to access the internet at the moment but I can turn on my laptop incase anyone has a possible solution nbsp

A:Sony VAIO laptop freezes after start up, was working fine a few hours ago

Try running Memtest86 a few times and tell me if any errors come up.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sony-vaio-laptop-freezes-after-start-up-was-working-fine-a-few-hours-ago.191245/
Relevancy 26.66%

I just bought an HP ENVY h8-1418 Desktop.

I would like to know the best Low Profile graphics card to replace the integrated HD graphics that came with unit. Some important specs listed might help you give me some options I hope:

1 PCI Express x16 (Gen 3.0 for i5 and i7 Ivy Bridge processors, all others Gen 2.0)

Processor: Intel Core i5 3330

TDP: 77W
Operating speed: Up to 3.0 GHz (up to 3.2 GHz turbo)
Number of cores: 4
Socket: LGA 1155
Bus speed: DMI (Direct Media Interface) - 5.0 GT/s
Memory - 8GB

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD Integrated graphics (DX11)

Power Supply
Internal 460W (100V-240V)

A:Low profile graphics card options

What is your budget? Also why do you need a low profile card?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/low-profile-graphics-card-options.191192/
Relevancy 23.65%

My computer is not recognizing my typed command to enter the BIOUS menu during startup. I've tried both wired and wireless keyboards but it doesn't recognize any commands given. Any ideas?

A:Can't operate my BIOS menu

It'll recognise the right one but the problem is this varies between different computer makes and motherboards. There are a lot of possibilities. Try Googling for example - key for bios (Acer). If no joy post back details of the computer model and no doubt someone will be able to suggest the correct key or combination of keys.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-operate-my-bios-menu.190552/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hi there,

Good to be back in the realm of Techspot..

I've run into a situation with a Macbook Pro HD.

The drive had shown signs of failing and finally I got the "Pinwheel of Death".

I booted to an OSX disk and repaired it, and was able to log in okay once or twice.

The computer continued to freeze and I had no luck backing up the 15,000 images for my client.

I pulled the drive and plugged it in to another Mac with a SATA to USB adapter. The drive shows up in disk utility, I can copy a few small files over, but it quickly fails within 1 minutes of it spinning up.

So, what is there to be done with a 'failing' hard drive? Any software/tricks to stabilize it long enough to get the files that I need? (Spending $500 for mechanical repairs is currently not an option?)

Thank You for insight.

A:'Failing' hard drive -- what are my options?

Don't think you have many options unfortunately. There is a decent possibility as it heats up it fails, so if it is really dry where you live you may be able to find a way to put an ice pack on the drive to keep it cool. I'd get the drive cooled down with an ice pack or a fridge/freezer and then hook it up and keep an ice pack on it while copying the files over.

I would avoid doing this if there is enough humidity that you will run into a condensation issue. Currently there is 32% RH in my room and fighting static is much more of a problem than condensation on a beverage. So good luck, and hopefully it is dry there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/failing-hard-drive-what-are-my-options.190067/
Relevancy 17.63%

I powered down the machine yesterday (Shut Down) and now this morning the computer will not boot.
When I try to boot the machine the BIOS screen does not appear, the HD light flickers on but then stays off. All other lights on the machine are on as normal. The fan kicks in within 30 seconds and sounds like it's running at maximum revs.
I did a hard reset and reseated the HD and the RAM and replaced the RTC battery without fixing the issue.
I will disassemble the unit and make sure the fan is not clogged, in the meantime does anyone have any thoughts ?
TIA
Arfer

A:HP Pavillion DV6700 will not start, no BIOS screen just black

The motherboard has probably failed do to consistent overheating over time...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavillion-dv6700-will-not-start-no-bios-screen-just-black.189056/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hello I am looking for a solution to the following business issue Preferably a cloud based non-hardware non-vpn solution I have data files used by some mortgage software in my office files across about meg Currently I have just shared the folder and the individual PCs accessing the options? to syncing, no network cloud drive storage, Map data just set their data location as joes-pc datafiles or something like that the data location is set in the mortgage software My main problem is that I am opening an offshore location and I need to have the remote users to also specify a networked location for the file storage I have no vpn or other hardware other than wireless routers Only a few requirements when one user has a file open if a second user tries to open the file from the mortgage software it tells the user the file is already open there is no Map network drive to cloud storage, no syncing, options? simultaneous sharing of a file and this needs to continue I do not want to sync files from the cloud to local drives since I am guessing this would lead to all sorts of sharing issues I basically need the files to act as if they are on my local network I need the files centrally located not distributed to users desktops Secondary issue would be ensuring backups happen somehow right now I just copy the files to a external harddrive once a week but I really should at least use dropbox for this or something so it is done automatically Used carbonite in the past and it encrypted the files in such a way that they were unrecoverable Ideas nbsp

A:Map network drive to cloud storage, no syncing, options?

Some ideas:

1. Purchase a cloud server service.
2. Look at Logmein Hamachi.
3. For backups, use a batch file and set it to run on schedule via Task Scheduler.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/map-network-drive-to-cloud-storage-no-syncing-options.189232/
Relevancy 18.06%

I left my HP elitebook 6930p idle for 5 hours, after which I noticed that I cannot open any applications. When I try to open an application via clicking an icon, my laptop won't respond (even notepad won't open). Note that the hard drive indicator drive is surprisingly inactive during that time. I can open windows explorer though, but it takes some time to load a page. The screen does not freeze (I can sitll move my cursor), but when I attempt to shut down it gets stuck on the wallpaper before fading [supposedly] to the loading screen. Please help!D:

A:Applications won't start (even Notepad!)

UPDATE: I noticed when the network adapter was off the laptop ran fine. When I turn it on, everything slooows down, and the things above happen

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/applications-wont-start-even-notepad.189423/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hi all got above named laptop but when I turn it on it freezes every time when it get to the black screen where it says start windows normally or other options such as safe mode etc is this hard drive failure thanks in advance

A:Acer Aspire One freezes at 'start Windows normally' screen

Update-- on black screen if I click on safe mode or safe mode with networking it does its thing but then after loads of things it just restarts back to that screen if I click last known config it get to the loading windows screen then I see a hint of blue screen then it restarts back to black screen start windows normally screen

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/acer-aspire-one-freezes-at-start-windows-normally-screen.188714/
Relevancy 18.06%

Spent about 10 hours trying to resolve a network printing problem on a laptop today and now I am asking for your help. The HP laptop stopped printing with the message "Print Spooler is not running". I tried starting it at services.msc but it will not start. I tried uninstalling the printer from add/remove and could only remove the printer applications but the driver will not uninstall because the print spooler is not running. I tried reinstalling the printer but it will not because the spooler is not running. I tried installing a different printer with the same failure. Microsoft FixIt identified the spooler as not running, tried to start it and it failed immediately. FixIt said it could not help. I checked windows update and it is up to date. Printers work with 4 other pc's on the network. OS: Win 7 Pro

A:Print Spooler will not start

Treat it as if there are jobs in the print queue that can't be deleted. As I recall you delete the subdirectory in the Spooler directory used for that specific printer.

Try running this troubleshooter

=== Update ===
Here's another Wizard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/print-spooler-will-not-start.187291/
Relevancy 18.49%

Okay so I have a dell d610 - and when it is on it runs perfectly mine so much so that I can play a game online sync photos and download from iTunes - but when it get shut down if doesnt come back on for at least 3 hours and at most a whole 24 hours. The battery light just does a slow green flash and when I check it it says its fully charged. When I press the power button the little indicator lights will come on and the screen gets ready then after like three seconds it all goes off again. So far this is the longest it's been off which is going on two days now. I'm not sure if I explained clear enough but any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Laptop will not start

When it switches on, does the screen show anything such as a logo or some sort of way into the BIOS? It could be an overheating issue especially with the processor where the fan has failed. To stop the processor from destroying itself by overheating depending on the make, it can sometime shut itself down atomatically. How old is the laptop? Check that the fan is working (normally makes a small noise with hot or cold air coming out and is generally located on the upper part of the keyboard section on the laptop.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-will-not-start.188134/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi, I've recently bought a new laptop because the former one had huge, unfixable overheating issues even if I used a cooling pad, didnt play games etc. It was a Acer Aspire 5738G.
My new one is a HP Pavillion G6.
I haven't had any major overheating issues with it yet and it has an average CPU temp of 40-45C when I'm only surfing, which I know is completely normal/safe. When I play games like GTA San Andreas or other older games it goes to around 55C and reaches 60C if I've played it for more than one hour.
Yesterday I tried L.A. Noire, which is a pretty new game and it didnt take more than 5 minutes for the CPU to reach 70C, which gave me haunting memories of the Acer Aspire.
Is this normal/safe? Should I lower the settings?

CPU: Intel i7-3612QM
AMD Radeon HD 7670M (1 GB DDR3)

A:Reaching 70°C when playing a game like L.A. Noire normal?

70c is not to bad try keep the laptop cool as possible. just keep the heat vent clear and you should be fine.
some model of HP do have overheating issues.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reaching-70%C2%B0c-when-playing-a-game-like-l-a-noire-normal.187686/
Relevancy 28.38%

hellow,

when i start my pc, my temperature is always around 68C and my cores between 64C and 70C

is that normal?

A:PC temperature normal?

that's not healthy at all.it could probably be thermal compound/grease, remove the heat sink of the processor and scrub out the old thermal grease for your CPU then apply a new one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-temperature-normal.155142/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello!
I need help with my new rig.
Bought new CPU (core i7-3770), motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H) and memory (whatever). Have old PSU (700 watt FSP).
Connected everything and found that it's not starting up.
Disconnected drives, graphics card, memory, all the USB and other unnecessary stuff - same result.
Disconnected 12V power from motherboard and now when I press power, all the coolers start for a second and then turn off again.
Tried different 12V connector and slot on PSU - nothing changes.
Tried unscrew MB from the case and start it on a cardboard box to be sure there are no short circuits from screws. Same result.
I would really appreciate help, 'cause I'm stuck.
Thank you

A:Built new PC and it's not starting up...

So what exactly happens? turns on then off almost right after? points to a PSU problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/built-new-pc-and-its-not-starting-up.187346/
Relevancy 18.49%

Hello people Today I found a old laptop of mine in a box I thought lets connect start HP won't DV5 1050ed it to the wall and fire it up After trying to do this without succes I realized HP DV5 1050ed won't start me that was the reason why I putted the laptop in the box I ve been searching over the internet for solutions but none of them works My problem is Whenever I plug in the AC adapter into the DC Powerjack the light beside it goes on and STAYS on its not blinking at all and no else leds are blinking I know what all those blinks mean but it doesnt help me HP DV5 1050ed won't start at all When I push on the power button nothing just happens I remember that the laptop could be really hot at a time so maybe HP DV5 1050ed won't start its an overheating problem People told me that I have to disassemble the laptop and put the motherboard into a oven because then somehow it will be reflowed or something List of things I tried but not working -Battery out AC out and then hold power button for like - seconds and then plugin the ac and then try to start -resetting bios stuff with getting the ram memory sticks out n stuff -getting the hdd out and stuff like that All those things like described on the internet not worked at all So thats why I came here to get some help from you nice guys Greetings nbsp

A:HP DV5 1050ed won't start

Is the laptop making any noise at all? Do you have the model number etc?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-dv5-1050ed-wont-start.187171/
Relevancy 27.95%

What do normal people think of new Windows 8 PCs?

LOVED THE WHOLE PACKAGE: 21%
LIKED WINDOWS 8: 24%
JURY STILL OUT ON WINDOWS 8: 19%
HATED THE HARDWARE: 21%

HATED WINDOWS 8: 14%

Interesting read, but I think a more realistic picture will emerge after 2/3 months.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-do-normal-people-think-of-new-windows-8-pcs.186933/
Relevancy 20.21%

When Windows 7 finishes starting at I'm at the login screen the keyboard sometimes doesn't respond. I try unplugging and replugging the USB connector with no success. The light above the num lock key doesn't even come on.

A:Keyboard sometimes not responding at startup

Do you have a another keyboard you can try? This way you will know if it a keyboard that is bad or a problem computer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/keyboard-sometimes-not-responding-at-startup.186178/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hey all. I have a realy irritating problem regarding the resolution being stuck in all games video options. I have my pc set up through HDMI to my 28" JVC TV which works fine when on desktop. I have the resolution at full hd 1080p. however in everygame I go on I cannot change the resolution to any higher then 640x480 and 720x480.
Never used to have this problem before and not sure what has happend as it never realy gets used. I tried to switch from HDMI to VGA and it still happends.

I am using windows XP 32 bit and have installed all the latest drivers on my hd5770.

Any help would be greatly apprechiated as im completely stumped at this!
Thanks.

A:Resolution stuck at 640x480 and 720x480 in video options

Have you tried another video card?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/resolution-stuck-at-640x480-and-720x480-in-video-options.182495/
Relevancy 17.63%

Long story short Received my new laptop on Monday and I installed Windows and the Drivers on Tuesday I was able then to connect to the internet wirelessly in another room in my house My router is a year old wired Linksys G router and in order to provide wireless in my home I set-up a TrendNet Access Point N a year and a half ago Though there are times that I need to periodically reboot we can access the internet anywhere in the house on our laptops The laptop at the beginning connected fine recognizing the TrendNet and the signal was strong I then installed Windows Updates Microsoft Essentials and the latest Adobe Flash By the way the W firewall was enabled from the beginning After a time I shut it down but when I came back this system will not connect at all It shows that the system is connected to the Access Point with a strong signal but when I go to connect to the internet wirelessly Brand at it the start, now worked Wireless doesn't new laptop: it constantly says that there is a problem Diagnosis says it s my modem access point or router So I reset them at least five times but nothing has changed Besides my two PC s have no trouble connecting to the internet Two Lenovo laptops have no trouble connecting to the internet throughout the house I even fired up my year old Toshiba Tecra S using a TP Link USB adapter at the opposite end of the house and it connects Diagnosis diagram shows connection from Access Point to laptop but no connection from laptop to internet I did a system restore as I only installed the Adobe Flash and Microsoft Essentials When it finally rebooted the only thing I reinstalled was MSE I even set things to default But the problem persists The Device Manager recognizes my wireless card and reports Brand new laptop: Wireless worked at the start, now it doesn't that it is functioning properly With one exception the Intel Wireless Pro Drive Software diagnostics tool reports that every test passed including Signal Test which gives an Excellent quality rating What it has failed is the Ping Test I would appreciate any help you can give because I am really out of my element here This laptop is for my son who will be entering college this fall and so I need it to be able to access wirelessly By the way it does connect via ethernet cable nbsp

A:Brand new laptop: Wireless worked at the start, now it doesn't

run IPCONFIG /ALL

if it shows the current IP address as 169.x.x.x then the issue is not finding
(or being blocked from sending/receiving ) the DHCP service in the router.

ALSO, if you see an IP address like 0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334
then you have IPv6 enabled on the laptop;
1) google for disable ipv6
2) apply the solution for your {XP,Vista,Win/7} laptop

reboot and reconnect

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/brand-new-laptop-wireless-worked-at-the-start-now-it-doesnt.169520/
Relevancy 20.21%

Almost since the day we bought our laptop several years ago it's been slow to start up, but now it's worse and taking forever.

I don't know where to start to remedy the problem. Any recommendations?

Thank you!

Specs: Hp Pavillion Entertainment Laptop
Windows Vista

A:Slow startup

First off, I suggest that you defragment your hard drive. It would also be good if you can check that you don't have unnecessary programs in your start up configuration.

To do this, type 'msconfig' (without quotation marks) in the Windows search box and then either press enter on your keyboard or double-click on the MSCONFIG program that appears in the search results.

Once the System Configuration utility is up, click on the 'startup' tab. You should see a list of services and programs that Windows loads every time you boot or restart your PC. Laptops that come with pre-installed copies of Windows usually have a tonload of unnecessary software ticked in that list. These slow your system down and are a waste of RAM and disk space. Check out this Techspot thread to learn more about this particular subject.

If it's an option, then you should also try installing more RAM into your machine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-startup.185610/
Relevancy 50.74%

So after few days me and my friend we where playing dead island. Then suddenly my screen went black but still I can hear sound of the game only. Then that smell came from my desktop like something was burned I don't know what but it seems from power supply because I tested again I turned back on game and waited for few minutes and the smell was coming like from power supply what I have tested now is counter strike 1.6 battlefield bad company 2 it works But like world of warcraft or dead island garrys mod and probably other games don't work
My pc spec are
*CPU:Intel Core Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz
*GPU:GTX260
*RAM:4GB
*Hard drive:1TB
*Power Suppply:700W
I just don't know what do to

Some people saying that I need to replace new power supply and later on new graphic card

A:After starting game my monitor goes black

What is the make of your power supply? A bad power supply will cause all kinds of issues and if you are not careful will damage other hardware components. Remove said power supply.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/after-starting-game-my-monitor-goes-black.184871/
Relevancy 18.06%

my acer aspire 5520-5908 wont start up. when I press the power button on, it attempts switching on the fan and the fan goes off again with the screen not starting too.and all it does after is the power button light and signals blinking intermittently. I ve removed the battery, plug it directly so forth on and on but nothing seems to work. just blinking of lights.

A:My Acer Aspire 5520 won't start

The motherboard has probably failed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-acer-aspire-5520-wont-start.184476/
Relevancy 27.09%

I just picked up Costco Top of the Line pre-built DELL -R Laptop Came with I- QM Processor quad core decent cannot complain Along with -GB of DDR- MHZ RAM down side it only has what I would assume built into mother board Video card So I cannot do to much here unless Laptop options? drive I took out the motherboard altogether not going to go there to much head ache and money as the highest resolution I have is the I am not a gamer so not a huge deal really I am a speed freak through I like programs and Boot times as quick as possible So Laptop drive options? really the only Up-grade I for see to turn this machine into a whole new beast is to Dump the mechanical HD which I am sure is only a -RPM not even a - RPM not night and day difference between those two anyway MY QUESTION IS there on the market out there anywhere any type of PCI Drive or something that would plug into one of the USB inputs kind of Drive to replace the super slow RPM Drive On my last Costco Laptop I did an up-grade to the Crucial -GB SSD KIT of which specs at something like -mb to mb READ Write Times Which was fantastic way fast programs opened and closed instantly nearly along with to second full Boot times I was just wondering if there was something else out there on the horizon That is even a step above this Crucial Kit I installed AS If it is my only option I will go with it again on this system Crucial has seemed to make the transition to do this Up-grade truly the easiest for the layman as it comes with this kit a little USB Dongle and the CD software that walks one through it all and it worked perfectly flawless There maybe a couple other SSD s out there that are slightly faster not enough to truly note a difference But they do not simplify it all with a nice Kit like Crucial does with the USB Dongle and software disc Is there any Laptop PCI TYPE of super fast drive on the market or somthing else I am missing Thanks Wes nbsp

A:Laptop drive options?

I am getting Ready to pull The Trigger on a new SSD Drive for my DEll Insperion 17-R I picked up from Costco.
I got it for $ 799.00. With ( I-7 3612 QM 2.10 GHZ Processor , )
along with ( 8-GB of DDR-3 - 1333 MHZ RAM )
The only hold back now is the Mechanical 5400-RPM Hard drive. My last system I purchased I did the same up-grade only I purchased the Crucial 256-GB SSD- KIT of Which came with a Dongle with the USB to SSD Transfer Kit along with a software CD Disc, of which made it all very simple to Transfer.
MY QUESTION : Is I am looking at going with the NEW Faster OCZ VERTEX SSD Drive this time around and it looks like it just comes with the SSD Drive , NO- Transfer Dongle , not sure if Software Disc is included. SO I was just wondering how the process is done in this Case.
As far as Transferring all the Data on my Current hard drive over to the NEW OCZ SSD Drive exactly what does the process entail to do this all. Do I just plug and play. uninstall the 5400-RPM Drive and install the new SSD Drive and then what. Or is there another step required prior to doing the install. Please help? with the process. It sure was nice the way Crucial had it all set up with that transfer Kit. I still have the Kit from Crucial I used to install it on my other laptop of which I sold to my friend. Any help greatly appreciated.

Wes

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-drive-options.184076/
Relevancy 18.06%

I have no sound on my PC . I used to have before but I don't have now . Any ideas :S HELP

I ran msinfo32 and found this error :
Realtek Ac '97 Audio Pci/Ven_878 etc... This Device cannot Start

A:Realtek cannot start error 10

What are your PC's specs? A desktop or laptop?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/realtek-cannot-start-error-10.184217/
Relevancy 27.52%

So I have intel core i5 2320 3Ghz processor and when I dont do anything with computer just surfing on net I got about 40C-45C temperature. I cheack temperature with Speccy program. However when I playing game like gta 4 I got form 70-75 temperature and one time I got 80 but its was just for one time. So and I have fews questions, its normal, its safe ? And when I playing game like crysis gta 4 I got fps drop in some places, but I hear that is normal when fps drop in some places on gta and crysis, fps drop is not so big. On other game no fps drop like postal and mafia II. But maybe it can have influence for performance I dont know so that why I ask you.

A:It's this temperature normal for processor and games performance?

Slowing down depends on what's happening on-screen, e.g. the FPS during an explosion or a lot of smoke/dust would be lower than normal. But at high temps, thermal throttle would kick in, slowing things down.
Anyhow, to the thread's main question:
The "normal" temps depends on ambient temps, really. 30C, while hot for Antarctica, is a miracle for Sahara. Knowing your ambient temps and system configuration/placement would help.
But if you are uncomfortable with those temps (should be, IMHO), refer to the Cooling Guides in my signature for help.

Regards,
Marnomancer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/its-this-temperature-normal-for-processor-and-games-performance.183139/
Relevancy 18.06%

I dont know whats wrong these are my specs:

Gigabyte Z77
Asus Xonar 5.1
Seasonic Platinum 860 watt power supply
Corsair Vengeance 16Gb 4 x 4Gb
Intel I5 3570k ivy bridge 3.4Ghz (3.8Ghz with turbo boost)
EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2Gb vram
Seagate Barracuda 500Gb Hdd
Lite-on Bd Drive
Antec 1200

At first I forgot to plug in the 12v cpu power, but I fixed that. This morning I noticed I put the power buttons cable into the wrong spot because I was following the cases color coding instead of the motherboards. But now I have no idea whats wrong. I have one idea, the screws I used to screw the motherboard in are really long and they stick out of the motherboard. Could that be the problem? Can someone help me I REALLY want to use this pc. I have been waiting for 5 years.

A:Just built a new PC for the first time and it will not start up

Please tell us what the problem is. What is the computer doing or not doing?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/just-built-a-new-pc-for-the-first-time-and-it-will-not-start-up.183108/
Relevancy 19.78%

My fan recently broke. So I simply jus popped another one on. The fan I replaced it with jus has red and black which is obv live and neg but the one I took out has red black and yellow any idea about the yellow ? The fan works great but CPU fan failed error keeps appearing then when I press F11 it says entering setup but still shuts down.any ideas about how to keep it running just to get into the settings and change the CPU fan settings. Would be grateful with any help. Thankyou.

A:Help needed to bypass the CPU fan failed error at startup

You bought the wrong type of fan. They aren't all the same. You should have bought a CPU fan but you have a case fan instead. The yellow wire goes to a sensor connection that controls the speed of the fan. The motherboard detects the missing connection and throws the error you saw. The solution is to buy the correct type of fan.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-needed-to-bypass-the-cpu-fan-failed-error-at-startup.170008/
Relevancy 19.78%

I'm using Windows 7, a ASUS X54C Notebook and a DLink WBR-1310 router.

For some reason when I reboot my notebook, the wireless compatibility doen't want to automatically connect to my wireless access point. I have to manually click the wireless icon on the task bar to let the troubleshooter connect my notebook to the internet.

I already have the options under properties and services.msc via WLAN AutoConfig enabled to connect automatically at start up, but that doesn't seem to help.

Anyone have any ideas?

A:How do I set my notebook to automatically connect at startup?

Slick21 said:

I'm using Windows 7, a ASUS X54C Notebook and a DLink WBR-1310 router.

For some reason when I reboot my notebook, the wireless compatibility doen't want to automatically connect to my wireless access point. I have to manually click the wireless icon on the task bar to let the troubleshooter connect my notebook to the internet.

I already have the options under properties and services.msc via WLAN AutoConfig enabled to connect automatically at start up, but that doesn't seem to help.

Anyone have any ideas?Click to expand...

I don't know if this will help,but I don't think it'll hurt. http://computer.howstuffworks.com/how-to-set-up-wifi-laptop.htm
I fixed a friends W7 wireless connection last week but don't remember the steps,good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-set-my-notebook-to-automatically-connect-at-startup.181933/
Relevancy 18.49%

My Laptop wont start. I have a gateway laptop. Windows 7. It wont boot it keeps going to the blackscreen and it says disk error occurred Pre control alt delete to restart...I did and it says the same thing it just keeps going to the black screen. I cant go to safe mode or anything. What do I do.

A:Computer won't start

Sounds like windows crashed or your hardrive did. Do you have a restore disk. If so I would give that a try. If that don't work. It is more or less your hardrive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-wont-start.181816/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hello

When I start up my computer, I get the message, well, it says on top..
Funny thing is, that it starts up and works regulary, shut off the "press F1 at error" but the message pisses me off..

The HDD I have is a Seagate SATA drive, connected with SATA. I thought those drives would go as Master automaticly, but think I've done wrong somewhere. Can't give much more info about the drive itself.

A:No HDD master detected on startup

Sounds like you have the PATA (or IDE) controller enabled in the system BIOS. disable the master, save BIOS, reboot & see if msg goes away. Hope this helps, take care!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-hdd-master-detected-on-startup.181170/
Relevancy 18.49%

Ok so I'm new to the area of building a pc and don't really know where to start. I have the motherboard and cpu figures out I just don't know where to go from there.

A:New build, don't know where to start

Check out this guide
Techspot PC Buying Guide

What is your Budget?
What purpose will this new PC serve?
What components do you already have?
Where do you live?
Are you open to using online merchants? IE newegg, amazon.
The more information you give us. The better the people of Techspot will be able to assist you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-build-dont-know-where-to-start.180563/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hey I am new to this forum can some one help me my for PC Budget usage normal with a configuration I will be using Budget PC for my normal usage the PC just for browsing and some designing purposes like Adobe photoshop illustrator dreamweaver and such softwares I already have a netbook with GB RAM but its not suitable for this purpose and hence buying a desktop for this purpose I will never use for high end games so no need High Graphics support But need to support for flash web designing purpose photoshop usage I have TB HDD already which of the following config will be suitable Processor Pentium GHZ - it is available at very cheaper rate Less than in my local market Will it withstand today s softwares Intel Pentium D GHZ MHZ MB Cache Less than in my local market Intel Pentium Dual Core E GHZ Less than in my local market Intel Pentium Dual Core E GHZ Less than in my local market Mother Board I will buy some chipset mother board which is cheap for the processor you suggest So its not an issue RAM GB RAM - I will buy x GB RAM or should i go for GB Note I may also use for watching TV using a TV Tuner card So please suggest a processor which will be suitable for my usage I dont want to spend much for processor so if a cheaper processor cope ups the usage then its fine I will mostly buy a inch LCD or LED Monitor Regards Madhumitha List of main softwares i will use Adobe Photoshop CS Adobe Illustrator CS Adobe Dreamweaver Microsoft Office Word FrontPage or Facebook Games Online Miniclip games nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/budget-pc-for-my-normal-usage.180165/
Relevancy 19.78%

hp x181 continuous restart after bios. ran primary and secondary harddrive test and tested memory. (all passed) i can load bios and run diagnostic test but when i leave bios it just restarts. have anyone heard of this?

A:HP X181 continuous startup at BIOS

Can you perform a "Factory Restore"?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-x181-continuous-startup-at-bios.179185/
Relevancy 18.06%

My Laptop over heated today and I removed the back plate to gain access to clean out the fan ect Once I tried to boot the computer up everything flashed at me like always but then turned off the screen remained black I ve done a little research via googled and I have tried Removing the AC power lead and the battery and switched them about to see 1525 Dell Inspiron, start won't if it would resolve but resulted in the same issue as stated above Holding the power button down for seconds without the laptop having power and with power Then powering up I ve pulled the HDD Dell 1525 Inspiron, won't start and the memory as instructed by the Dell support site When power was disconnected and booted switch the memory about and booted a number of time Everything was re-connected properly This is driving me totally mad as I need the laptop due to work and other reasons I paid about four years ago so it s no longer under warranty also none of the settings where changed Dell 1525 Inspiron, won't start before the issue began I would be grateful for any advice or assistance So what is the possible issue that I m having is my motherboard fried or is it something else nbsp

A:Dell 1525 Inspiron, won't start

just like mine

am trying to find the sleep sw that hibernates the sys to bypass read the threads under tryingdad, maybe we can fix both

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-1525-inspiron-wont-start.178808/
Relevancy 17.63%

I have a old computer running windows XP I tried to update the driver so that I could play minecraft but i didn t know the type of card I had So in order to find out the model of the graphics card so I could download new drivers I pulled it out and wrote down My new card won't after computer start video a installing the model type I put it back in wrong so it didn t work After a few tries I put in a new video card and tired that I always get stuck at the point where it says quot New hardware or software has caused the computer to have trouble starting Start in safe mode start with command prompt start at last working way or something like that start windows normally quot Now I have no working video card and don t know what to do Old Video Card XFXGeforce e MX New Video Card I don t know it says nothing on it and wasn t in its original box Also I dont care witch card goes in Ask me if you need anything else nbsp

A:My computer won't start after installing a new video card

Does this computer have on-board video? On-board means part of the motherboard and not a separate card... If it does, try to connect the monitor to that video output

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-computer-wont-start-after-installing-a-new-video-card.178773/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hi all made thread about this before but wasnt sure where it was coming from iu now know its def the psu its a 750watt .. and fo0r months now when i 1st start pc it makes like a whirling grinding noise quite loud so i have to turn off then back on and always the 3rd time it will stop and work fine. sometimes i get to desktop and no icons so have to press little restart button but then ok and only when cold as if been on a while and i restart or turn off and on it dont do it do i need to buy new 1 or is there a fix for it cheers

A:Strange noise from PSU on start up

The fan in the PSU is the only thing that usually makes noise. I can't in good faith recommend that you replace the fan in your PSU because even an unplugged PSU can generate enough voltage to KILL you. Please get a new PSU instead.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/strange-noise-from-psu-on-start-up.178351/
Relevancy 18.06%

I tried my best not won't 2+ after asleep hrs Monitor off or powered 2+ start hrs to come a botherin you kind folk but I am absolutely stumped The issue My monitor won t turn on unless I reboot computer several times and try to unplug monitor power and plug it back in I still haven t nailed down a routine that works every time Details This happens if a I turn the computer off and it is off for more than hours or so that is a guesstimate but should give you a relative time frame OR Monitor won't start after 2+ hrs asleep or 2+ hrs powered off b I leave the computer idle for several hours specifically I normally turn off the monitor before bed but not the computer and it won t wake up in the morning This normally leads to several hard reboots and messing around with power and dvi cord before it will work Computer i processor gigabyte motherboard pci-e hd graphics card gig hard drive vista several gigs of ram monitor is a western digital with a dvi cord I ve tried messing with the s s bios setting the pci peg bios settings btw which setting is actually correct s and peg replacing the graphics card changing the computer sleep mode both mouse and keyboard are set so they can activate the wake up I also tried the roomates monitor short term with no luck To me that rules out the monitor and video card plus bios settings Bios update may be next Please let me know what you think- the main thing that confuses me is that it seems to work after the computer tried to boot a few times almost like it has to warm up first nbsp

A:Monitor won't start after 2+ hrs asleep or 2+ hrs powered off

Yes, try a bios update

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-wont-start-after-2-hrs-asleep-or-2-hrs-powered-off.178234/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi i am looking into upgrading my self built desktop and i was wondering what you lot thought would be best for it My work load is mainly D modeling rendering and texturing so CPU speed and RAM are paramount to the software i use - DsMAX Cinema D Poser Pro PS CS All high end D application programs demanding a high end PC to which i built at the time with the budget i had I am in a position to better the set up now so some advice on what i could add or change to the MB would be most appreciated Here are the stats of the pc Upgrade options? at the moment Gigabyte GA-X USB MB gig OCZ Tripple channel gold RAM Intel Core i LGA Standard CPU Fan XFX Radeon Dont need to change this as programs arent reliant on GPU CoolMaster Silent Pro w May replace this if needed x TB Samsung F HDD W bit I dont want to get into a rebuild so replacing things to suite the MB is what i am looking at doing any other info as requested I attached a cpuz just incase Thanks for any info offered Lee nbsp

A:Upgrade options?

You've only really a couple of options, both of which are to change the CPU for something more powerful, or overclock your existing unit.

Might be worth seeing what sort of money you could get a hex-core i7 980x for now the newer LGA 2011 is out, but ultimately your best bet will probably just be to get a bloody good aftermarket cooler and overclock your CPU.

As for coolers, dependant on your case, the Corsair H70/H100 radiator coolers, a Noctua NH-D14 or something like a Thermaltake Silver arrow.

Another option would be some faster RAM. DDR3-1600 would be recommended, maybe go for 24GB if you're finding you're using all of it up at the moment.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrade-options.177736/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hello,
I have an annoying problem and some advice would be appreciated.
My office work PC is a Dell Vostro 410 win 7 and pretty up to date.
ATI raedon 3600 driver 8.850.0.0.
Main monitor is a viewsonic connected to graphics card with a cable and adapter to fit a socket that looks like HDMI but not quire. second monitor is old samsung 17in.

For quite a while when I booted up the main screen was black, if I turned it off and on while wiggling mouse and then quickly clicked a file it would stay on. Last few days when I turned on and off I got a brief glimpse of the desktop before black again.
I have unplugged monitor 2 and the main one works just fine.

Any Ideas much appreciated as I have got used to using 2 monitors and this is a pain.
Ta

A:Dual monitors -- main one is blank on startup

What happens when you boot into windows with only the main monitor plugged in then plug in the second?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-monitors-main-one-is-blank-on-startup.177422/
Relevancy 18.06%

I have a machine with a crippled OS (Vista) so I have to use the command prompt.

When I type, NET HELP SERVICES, I get a full list of stuff with NET START BROWSER at the top.

(When I type, NET START, I get only seven items and BROWSER is not one of them. When I do this on a machine that has a fully functioning Windows OS I get 50 services running.)

When I type, NET START BROWSER, I get, "The service name is invalid." "More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2185." When I type, NET HELPMSG 2185, I get, "The service name is invalid", and nothing more.

I'm hitting the same wall I hit with Netsh commands. I can only be a passive observer of the machine's state except that I can launch some .exe files, like Notepad. All the while it says I am logged in as Administrator.

A:Net start (from the command prompt) not working

Try running "sfc /scannow" without quotes at command prompt (as admin), then "net start browser". I suggest you check for viruses or repair/reinstall vista.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/net-start-from-the-command-prompt-not-working.177150/
Relevancy 19.78%

Okay so this problem has been happening for about a week now but it started taking longer and longer and its getting quite annoying so now I am here seeking advice Upon starting my computer it has been taking a few minutes to Windows startup not connecting 7 upon Internet connect to the internet It started off only taking about minutes if that Now it takes up to minutes When I start the computer it says quot A network cable is unplugged quot but my cable is definitely plugged in and Internet not connecting upon startup Windows 7 other computers in the house have internet both on wired and wireless connections It will start to say quot Identifying Network quot and then switch right back to saying its unplugged Then go back to the Identifying stage and sometimes quot Connected but limited or no internet connectivity quot only to return to the quot Network cable unplugged quot status Sometimes it just connects itself after - minutes and then it doesnt go out at all until I restart my computer in which case this process starts ALL OVER I have been using the same ethernet line since well before the problem started although I have replaced the head several times since it began happening and yet the problem persists Its extremely annoying to have Internet not connecting upon startup Windows 7 to wait for minutes just to access the internet on my PC Anyone have any possible solutions nbsp

A:Internet not connecting upon startup Windows 7

How you tried replacing the cable (make sure it is straight-thru cable) or connecting to different ethernet ports?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-not-connecting-upon-startup-windows-7.177109/
Relevancy 19.78%

I am attempting to reboot a Dell Inspiron 600m for a friend. I was able to install a fresh copy of Windows XP on it. The problem I am experiencing with it is that it often refuses to start up. I simply get a few lights, then they turn off. No attempting to run the CPU/Hard Drive etc.
I would assume the laptop is fried but it does not always do this. It also sometimes starts up and runs windows with no problems.
Any ideas on what is causing this problem and how to fix it?

A:Dell laptop intermittent startup failure

Replace the system board battery. Disassemble and reassemble by removing the keyboard and tracking down the cables... especially the cable to the screen. Replace the screen inverter card... which is cheap and will be needed sooner or later anyway. Remove, clean cpu cooling fan, and replace. Remove and replace the heat sink if the metal of the old one is rainbow colored from excessive heat.
Track all cables and connections and connectors as you re-assemble.
If it is any good, this extra work, which may take four hours (after the ordered parts come in) and you will know if you are going to have a good experience or if you have wasted your time... and your friend's time.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-laptop-intermittent-startup-failure.176931/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi everyone new to the forum here A friend of mine built me a PC about months ago As the tower was getting a little warm I decided to open up the beeping starting makes Computer when different up sound when PC tower and clean the fan using compressed air and also what I think is the CPU as it was just behind the fan a Computer makes different sound when beeping when starting up PC little brush as it was covered Computer makes different sound when beeping when starting up PC in dust the brush is kind of like the thing old ladies use when dying their hair on the roots it s like a long black brush and isn t very hard at all I ve read that people have cleaned them using a toothbrush I d never do that Anyway Computer makes different sound when beeping when starting up PC since then my PC is alot louder than usual it tends to make a noise which is like some kind of scraping sound and the beep sound on startup sounds a bit different hard to explain but not as clear or healthy sounding if that makes sense It seems to be running fine though no problems at all but I am concerned about the loud noise like a gentle scraping like sound and how the beeping sound is different from before It could just be a noisy fan and now that it s clean it s even noisier especially when starting up As I know nothing about computers I m somewhat afraid that I ve done something drastically wrong when cleaning the inside of my PC fan and the front of my CPU Or it could have always been that way but I never really noticed it before I m very OCD about computers I should also mention that I didn t touch the hard drive when I cleaned out the components Should I have reason to be concerned I d hate to think that one day my PC would pack up on me as it cost me quite a bit and I do all my work and just about everything on there Needless to say it s very precious to me It may just be a cosmetic thing as everything seems to work just fine it s just the noise and the weird beep when it starts up Thanks in advance- Roygbiv nbsp

A:Computer makes different sound when beeping when starting up PC

I would check the CPU cooler to make sure you haven't moved a lead into the fans path. When you say you cleaned it with compressed air, did you stop the fan from spinning as you did it, or did you allow it to speed up as the air blasted it?

If you've allowed it to spin up whilst being blasted with air its possible you've let it go too fast and caused wear to the bearings of the fan, hence the louder noise.

When cleaning moving components (fans for example) using blasts of compressed air, it is essential to provide a means of stopping them from moving. For example, using the end of something like a screwdriver against the side of the blade will stop it from spinning. Spinning up fans faster than their designed specifications can cause premature wear to them.

With the side panel off, fire up the computer (do not touch any of the hardware with it running), and see if you can locate where the noise is coming from inside the case. It could be one of the fans, or it could be the CPU cooler fan. Also, have a good look around all of the moving parts and make sure that all wiring is away from fans -- including the GPU (graphics card) if one is fitted.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-makes-different-sound-when-beeping-when-starting-up-pc.176814/
Relevancy 17.2%

I am attempting to remove a virus from a friend s toshiba a -s laptop in the transportation process i spilt a bit black, but but help! stays need will amateur screen a Laptop up not computer start of water on the laptop but i do not think it effected the computer because Laptop will start up but screen stays black, not a computer amateur but need help! i was able to use the computer for days afterwards while trying to remove the virus in safe mode the computer would not let me run any anti-malware programs and then subsequently shut down now when i try to start up the computer the keyboard lights turn on and the disc drives and fans begin working but the screen remains blank there are no signal beeps to indicate a hardware malfunction and the three of the five Laptop will start up but screen stays black, not a computer amateur but need help! lights on the front of the laptop on the left side are on ive tried all the troubleshooting techniques on the forums i e removing the battery and running on ac power and vice versa holding down the power button for sec sec min and mins all to no avail another computer savvy friend of mine said that some of these new viruses are smart enough to write itself to the bios which would prevent the computer from starting up he recommended flashing the bios but i do not know how to do so on a black screen or if it might have been the water damage that may be causing a hardware problem im thinking motherboad or video card if so any ideas would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Laptop will start up but screen stays black, not a computer amateur but need help!

These new viruses are truly evil... and wide spread. We have had over 30 cases since Wednesday... all doing what you describe.

But the Toshiba is also infamous for having the screen inverter go bad... cheap to replace but darn difficult to get at quickly.

Can you connect an external monitor to the VGA port on the back of the Toshiba to see what you get there?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-will-start-up-but-screen-stays-black-not-a-computer-amateur-but-need-help.176524/
Relevancy 17.63%

To start I left my laptop off for two days while away on vacation I return home and attempt to load it and receive the windows error message quot Windows failed to start A recent hardware or software change might be the cause quot I am left with options to boot start windows boot manager to load windows normally When I try option at the bottom of screen there s a bar that says loading windows file and then the screen goes to a black screen with an arrow never to load--even after a substantial amount of time hours When I try option it goes to the windows logo screen for a couple of minutes and then returns to the error message screen I have a Toshiba Satellite L -S Windows bit My year warranty on the laptop just ended less than a month ago and when contacting Toshiba they note this Upon a minute conversation I was told that the harddrive crashed and needs to be replaced as well as windows OS I just don t understand what could have happened because prior to leaving for vacation L655 start failed Windows Toshiba Satellite to - windows was functioning no problem My laptop is not making any weird sounds I just want to be sure their solution is necessary or is there any other solutions I could try before dishing out for this computer Also know any strategies getting around out of date warranty when right outside within weeks of the warranty period nbsp

A:Windows failed to start - Toshiba Satellite L655

I don't know if you got this settled, but it sounds like the hard drive might be okay if you can re-format and re-load Windows fresh

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-failed-to-start-toshiba-satellite-l655.175786/
Relevancy 26.66%

I had you guy help me add a processor to this computer which worked and now I upgrade GPU options EL1210-09 EMachines am thinking about adding EMachines EL1210-09 GPU upgrade options a new GPU so I can play Star Wars The Old Republic According to my computer I can use SLI even thought it has a integrated GPU but I don t know much about SLI Here is some information give me some help if you can guys Thanks http www e allupgraders info dir motherboards socketam boxer wmcp m shtml http www nvidia co uk page hybrid sli desktop html http www swtor com info faq http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E EDIT I have some info on my current graphics card Card name NVIDIA GeForce Manufacturer NVIDIA Chip type GeForce DAC type Integrated RAMDAC Device Key Enum PCI VEN DE amp DEV B amp SUBSYS amp REV A Display Memory MB Dedicated Memory MB Shared Memory MB Current Mode x bit Hz Monitor Generic PnP Monitor Driver Name nvd dum dll nvwgf um dll nvwgf um dll Driver Version English DDI Version BGRA Supported Yes Driver Attributes Final Retail Driver Date Size bytes WHQL Logo d Yes nbsp

A:EMachines EL1210-09 GPU upgrade options

On an SFF system with a 220w PSU your video card options are going to be rather limited.

Here are some recommendations:
ECS NGT430C-1GQR-F GeForce GT 430 = $57 ($37 after rebate)
ASUS ENGT430/DI/1GD3(LP) GeForce GT 430 = $60

A Geforce 430 is about the max you can go with that PSU. Make sure that any card you get has a fan since that SFF case gets pretty hot and doesn't have great airflow so a fan less card will likely bake in there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/emachines-el1210-09-gpu-upgrade-options.175870/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hey guys every time i restart my laptop it wipes all the user profiles, leaves one and wipes all the custom settings on that profile. I have no idea and any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks again

A:User profiles deleted on start up

This might be caused by a virus or other malware infection, a corrupt hard drive or Windows itself is corrupt... Can you do a destructive laptop restore? This is a way that the laptop is put back just like it was when you turned it on when you first bought it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-profiles-deleted-on-start-up.175534/
Relevancy 17.63%

Windows 7 (64bit) used to load the Network "dialer" (I have DSL) at bootup or whenever a connection was not present, but a few days ago, it suddenly stopped. I must now start my Internet connection manually via a shortcut on the desktop.

I don't prompt for a password, but I don't want my PC connecting w/o me for security reasons (eg: catching viruses/adware that try connect to the Net to upload my info or send Spam.) This is how I've connected since Win98.

I thought maybe I had disabled something necessary from "msconfig", but I put everything back and it still doesn't work.

I've also tried putting the shortcut in my Startup folder, but Windows just ignores it. (???)

I remember having this same problem years ago with XP but forgot how I fixed it.

Anyone have any ideas?

A:Network "dialer" stopped loading at startup. Weird.

run SERVICES.MSC and verify Network Connections is enabled and autostarted.

View Network Connections and be sure the connection properties are correct.

Move the shortcut in my Startup folder to the All Users\Startup

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-dialer-stopped-loading-at-startup-weird.174788/
Relevancy 17.2%

Hi, new I'm here and have worked on my computers for many years with success. i have a problem with a new Nvidia MX4000 video card with an Asus P5P800-MX/CHANNEL-UAYGZ motherboard. All works well except there's no video signal until the Windows XP boots up and loads the driver. This means I can't see the Bios setup or dual boot screen on startup. It works fine with the built in video on the motherboard but I'd like to use the dedicated video card. Has anyone had this problem and suggestions to work around it.
Thanks, Don Black.

A:Nvidia GeForce MX4000 video card won't start until Windows loads

Don Black said:

Hi, new I'm here and have worked on my computers for many years with success. i have a problem with a new Nvidia MX4000 video card with an Asus P5P800-MX/CHANNEL-UAYGZ motherboard. All works well except there's no video signal until the Windows XP boots up and loads the driver. This means I can't see the Bios setup or dual boot screen on startup. It works fine with the built in video on the motherboard but I'd like to use the dedicated video card. Has anyone had this problem and suggestions to work around it.
Thanks, Don Black.Click to expand...

This usually happens with HDMI, are you using HDMI?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-geforce-mx4000-video-card-wont-start-until-windows-loads.174507/
Relevancy 28.38%

I hear about fan rpm.
There are many sizes as far as I know (like 120mm etc)
SO I install a 120MM fan... which is 5.000 rpm let's say.
What is the difference with a 120mm fan of 1.000 rpm?
More means better COOLING -BUT- more SOUND? Which is the "normal" speed of a fan?
thanks

A:What is the normal speed of a fan?

Stock case fans are usually around 1000prm. Anything above 3000rpm would be very loud, search youtube to gauge the noise levels. I don't think they even go up to 5000rpm...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-is-the-normal-speed-of-a-fan.174346/
Relevancy 19.35%

See background
at

Code:
closed topic#163578 on this website
Note the solution presented in the previous thread is for a different make of laptop.

Problem: Wirless disabled by default on start up and resume.

I am having the same problem with my windows 7 reinstall of my SYX160001. Have tried similar remidies... ie power management, driver updates, enabling netowrk discovery, etc.

Any idea on how to overcome this nusiance of needing to turn on the wireless

A:Atheros AR9285 wireless disabled by default at startup

SOLUTION! (at least for me on my laptop)

I just had this problem when I reinstalled the OS from the OEM disc (not the factory install disc) I figured the OEM disc had a driver conflict. But I incorrectly pointed the finger at the wirless lan driver.

The HOT KEY strip (the one with the buttons that turn white when you touch them just above the keyboard) on my laptop also controls the Wi-Fi Radio on/off button. This was the problem. You need the origional driver for that strip, even if your volume on the strip is working.

Background. Think of your wireless lan as two seperate devices... the radio is compared to the cord of an ethernet connection. The wireless lan card is the ethernet card. When you think about it as one device it is easy to see why so many people assume the problem is with the wireless lan card. But the important part is that a laptop usually devides the two up to save power. Controlling the radio from a button on the keyboard (or a function key) (mine is FN +F2) is another reason to think of the two as seperate items.

Before reaching this conclusion I tried using "allow the computer to turn this device off to save power" I also had tried Hi performance modes and other wireless radio from the control pannel in both plug-in and battery modes. I tried the turn wireless netork on and off as well. There were plenty of reasons to think this was going to fix the problem.

So update your HOTkey strip driver... see if that doesnt fix your problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/atheros-ar9285-wireless-disabled-by-default-at-startup.174149/