Windows Support Forum

Exporting iTunes library to external hard drive

Q: Exporting iTunes library to external hard drive

Okay, soo my computer's memory is full and I want to clean it out. I was wondering if it's possible to export my itunes library on a 1TB external hard drive, delete all the music off the computer than be able to sync my ipod while my hard drive is plugged in. Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/exporting-itunes-library-to-external-hard-drive.163025/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Exporting iTunes library to external hard drive

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 109.65%

I recently maxed out my Windows laptop's memory. So I bought an external hard drive and transfered all of my music to it. Upon request, iTunes asks for the location of all my songs which were originally imported sources (CD's, Internet downloads, non-iTunes downloads). Is there a way I can edit my iTunes settings so it can auto-detect the file locations in my external hard drive?

A:iTunes Library+External Hard Drive Help

Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced. From there you can point to the location of your external drive where your songs are located. Hopefully all your songs are in one folder in your external drive, it will make it easier.

I would suggest letting iTunes organize your library. So check the organization button too.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/itunes-library-external-hard-drive-help.877071/
Relevancy 107.5%

I have a rather large mp3 collection (200 GB and growing!) and I would really like to free up some room on my laptop's hard drive for other things (the HD is 320 GB, but as I'm still collecting music, that will most likely shrink as time goes by!). Anyway, I recently bought a 1 TB external hard drive, and would actually like to keep my music on there instead of my internal hard drive.

But I'm wondering if this will cause any issues with iTunes and my iPod (a 160 GB iPod Classic.) Is it possible to keep my library and mp3 collection on an external hard drive and still have everything work with iTunes? If so, is there a specific way to keep everything working? Or am I stuck with having to keep my ridiculous mp3 collection on my internal hard drive?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

A:Keeping iTunes library/mp3 collection on external hard drive?

Try one of these links. Hope it helps. The video is pretty easy. The article in more detail about managing.VideoArticle

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/313017/keeping-itunes-librarymp3-collection-on-external-hard-drive/
Relevancy 92.45%

I'm running iTunes on a Windows laptop and am running out of hard drive space. I've got an external drive that I'd like to move the library to. Can I do that without iTunes seeing it as a problem and having me start over?

Thanks.

A:moving iTunes library to external drive

Yes, Itunes should recognise the files as being sold to your account.

The only thing Itunes really seems to worry about is when you change systems. If you change operating systems or reformat then remember to decommission the old Itunes.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/moving-itunes-library-to-external-drive.550433/
Relevancy 87.29%

We have a Dell running WIndows XP. Last week our hard drive crashed and burned. We installed a new one, but now iTunes claims it won't recognize our iPod since it is synced to a different computer. Is there anyway to get the songs off of our iPod onto our new hard drive?

A:Old Hard Drive Crashed. Any way to save iTunes Library?

This may help:
http://forums.ilounge.com/archive/index.php/t-197173.html
Pay special attention to the part about backing up.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/old-hard-drive-crashed-any-way-to-save-itunes-library.835012/
Relevancy 86.43%

Hey everyone,
I tried searched for this but i kept recieving a server error so I decided to just post the question.
I recently installed Windows 7 on my computer and I rearranged my hard drive and got them all in order. On my old copy of Vista my music library was stored on my 1tb hard drive which was like drive L. Now my 1 tb hard drive is under drive D. I backed up everything including my iTunes so now it has all of these song files that it can't find. Is their anyway I can update it so it'll update and use my new drive letter? I don't want to go through and add them all again because then I would have to remake all of my playlists and I don't want to do that. Is their anyway to mass change the library to another drive letter?
Thanks in advance.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/update-itunes-library-after-changing-hard-drive-letter.872814/
Relevancy 82.99%

After some advice on using an external hard drive (EHD) to listen to music at work, rather than having to copy files manually from my master copy on the home PC, to HDD and then to the work laptop every time I add new music.

Work system is pretty much locked down, we have XP SP3 (yes, I know!), and has WMP11 installed. This works well enough telling WMP to monitor the EHD's folder for the music, but occasionally, the drive assignment changes and you have to re-build the library which is a bit of a PITA when you're busy!

I use PortableApps suite so I can run handy programs like Firefox, GIMP and Infrarecorder. I tried Songbird Portable but it seemed to really be a resource hog.

Are there any applications that work well with a portable file source as the main file location for the music files?

A:Best Media Player/Library for use with External Hard Drive

OldVersion.com Have a look at this site your sure to find something you need.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/best-media-player-library-for-use-with-external-hard-drive.955847/
Relevancy 80.84%

We have 3 ipod users on our computer. The amount of music stored for them has sucked up all available space on our hard drive. We got a seagate external hard drive and was able to transfer files to it quite easily. The problem is that if we click on the i tunes icon it can't find or connect or whatever to this "F" drive. If we go into itunes and change the location of files, it seems like it reverts back to the C: or the name of the F: is inadequate and it can't make the connection.
Seems like there must be something simple I'm not doing. Any suggestions?
Do I need to reinstall the ipod progam to the F drive?

A:itunes and external hard drive

What software is on the F drive?

Per title?
I have an external HDD and when I transfer data to it the file receives a simple name like F:/My Music as there is no Operating system on this drive, just data. There is no path like the I-tunes should require (ie. C:/Windows/I-tunes) (seat of the pants path description).
My suggestion (guess) is to first install I-tunes on the drive and try it. If this does not solve your problem
-Move the files back to C drive
-install Windows on the F drive and then move the files back to the F drive and try again
-if that does not work I must assume (I hate that word ) that I-tunes must also be installed on the F drive.
I love computers but sometimes they are worse than dealing with a stubborn baby.
Good Luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/itunes-and-external-hard-drive.40585/
Relevancy 80.84%

My friend just gave me a ton of music and we put it on my external hard drive about gigs I am not a iTunes an hard how external with use itunes. drive to pro and I would like to use it to view and play the music on my laptop When I opened iTunes I went ahead and started to import the music until I maxed out any sign of free memory in my computer I then deleted it all how to use an external hard drive with itunes. back off and need to start this process again I want to keep the memory hogging music files in the external HDD and use itunes to view and play them from there Can you tell me how to do this Of course I understand I will not have access to the music while I am not at home but I don t mind In the near future I want to buy a Gig iPod and sync it with the mucic on the external HDD In addition I would like all the options such as retrieve album art is there any way to ask Itunes to save this info on the External HHD also Thank you in advance nbsp

A:how to use an external hard drive with itunes.

b d:
iTunes is actually 2 parts; the music & the library settings.
See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1329

iTunes on an external drive
http://www.tuaw.com/2006/09/19/how-to-keep-your-itunes-library-on-an-external-hard-drive/

HTH

RF123

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-use-an-external-hard-drive-with-itunes.895231/
Relevancy 79.98%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 6091 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, -1274 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 593259 MB, Free - 505912 MB; D: Total - 16915 MB, Free - 2124 MB; F: Total - 99 MB, Free - 85 MB;
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 1658
Antivirus: McAfeeŽ Security-as-a-Service Anti-virus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I backed up my itunes music to my seagate external hard drive. I can't get it to download to my computer now. i can only play the songs if I have the hard drive plugged in. Otherwise, for most of tthe songs it says it can't play it becausse the "original location can't be found" What can I do?

A:can't download itunes from external hard drive

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ar...your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive/P100/
Please see if the link above will help. That's the best place to look for help I know of! Might pay you to become very familiar with it and see if you can post in their forums for expert assistance.

It does matter what version of ITunes you are using as well so be prepared with the exact version of iTunes.

There may be a bit of manual labor, to re-import your songs and get the Library set up correctly again but usually it is quite do-able. This same issue can affect your Ipod type devices.

You can probably though I don't guarantee it, still create a Backup of iTunes using iTunes but is a tedious process as their software carries along all the Library preferences and Album stuff and it takes a lot more storage space on disks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-download-itunes-from-external-hard-drive.1036962/
Relevancy 79.98%

I followed the apple support instructions to copy my itunes library to an external hard drive. Then I deleted the library off of my desktop hard drive. But now my library doesn't show up in itunes. I went to edit-preferences-advanced and the external drive shows up as the location of the library but the songs, etc. don't show up on itunes. The songs are on the drive, I checked. Please help!

Relevancy 79.98%

My employer has no problem letting me load Itunes onto the computers that I use in each state (Vista) but I am not permitted to load the cd's I have onto the computers. Can I load Itunes, then load the cd's on an external hard drive and use it as a traveling library in the places I go, and how do I go about using that. My Toshiba has 64bit Vista installed. I don't wan't to damage or lock up anything since Boss trusts me not to.

All help is greatly appreciated, and on by the way, suggest a dependable external hard drive please. You may reply safely to my work email, xxxxxx and put Vista / Itunes solution into the subject line.

Thank you everyone. Geoge

newby George

A:Vista - Itunes - external hard drive

Welcome to the Forum George
I have removed your email address from your post. It is not wise to post in a public place like this, for several reasons. If any member has a solution to your problem they will post, here, and in addition to helping you will be potentially helping others.

http://www.vistax64.com/sound-audio/298266-vista-itunes-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 79.98%

I recently ran out of room on my PC, and decided to transfer my music to an external hard-drive. I originally just dragged my itunes library to the hard-drive, but my itunes couldn't locate the library and I realized (after online research) that there was another way to transfer it where I went through itunes and transferred the entire position of the library. I did this, and everything has been working fine for some time. Recently, though, the same problem occurred; every time I try to play a song in itunes, it says, "Song cannot be located." How can I fix this?
(I have Windows Vista on a Sony VAIO, and my hard-drive is a Signature Mini by Simple Tech)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/itunes-external-hard-drive-assistance-471833.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Hi I am hoping that someone can help me to eliminate a problem I am having getting my Itunes music Library transfered from my c drive to my new external Hard drive I have tried this several times to no avail and it is driving my crazy Okay so here is the deal I have a gig dell PC and am running Windows XP and the newest version of Itunes etc and have hooked up a gig Iomega External Hard drive and am running it with a Firewire So I looked up how to drive and iTunes hard external problems do this on the internet and it iTunes and external hard drive problems seemed so easy I followed the step by step directions on how to transfer Copy Itunes folder to the External Go to preferences and change to iTunes and external hard drive problems appropriate locate consolidate library and be done Now I was able to do this with no problem at first Everything seemed fine and then I started to getting these corrupt file messages that asks me to run a chckdsk utility I had already started removing my files by this point and have lost the A s and B s Anyway what I realized is that when I try to upload a new disc onto the external it somehow erases the path of all my other music It is on there but I can t get to it If anyone has experienced this before please help me out I am extremely frustrated Thanks Matt nbsp

A:iTunes and external hard drive problems

Move the music from within windows to where you want it. Fire up iTunes and delete the playlists or just delete all the songs in them, making sure you don't physically delete them, just have them removed from playlist.

Then highlight the files at their new location from in Windows and drag to the iTunes playlist, that should work fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/itunes-and-external-hard-drive-problems.60129/
Relevancy 79.98%

I have built a lot of music in Itunes on my pc. I dont want to delete them, or infact move them anywhere, but I want to make a back up of everything on to my external hard drive, just in case something happens to the pc.

What I have been doing is ; opening My Music in My computer. Selecting 'ITunes' and then selecting 'Itunes Music' folder
I then drag this folder onto the 'Itunes music folder' on my external hard drive. Everything seems to copy over - what I need to know is, is this the correct way, or should I be copying another folder?

If something goes wrong, I want to be able to use the copied folders to restore the library.

A:Copying Itunes To External Hard Drive

That's how I backed my music up...just a simple copy and paste. However, I have all my music stored in separate folders by genre and I just copied each folder over. I don't know if the iTunes Music folder holds the actual music files though?? My folder iTunes Music folder is empty with exception of an iTunes XML file and an iTunes database file, so you need to find the folder(s) that has the actual .mp3 or .m4a song files...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/129682/copying-itunes-to-external-hard-drive/
Relevancy 79.12%

I use an external hard drive to store my music files My itunes library comes directly from my external hard drive I have never had any issues transferring music from my external drive onto my ipod Recently I upgraded to windows bit hard External 7 windows drive itunes problem ultimate edition from vista bit External hard drive windows 7 itunes problem My last ipod broke so i needed to put my library onto a External hard drive windows 7 itunes problem new ipod that i just bought However when i try to do so my computer freezes I tried putting some of the music back onto my c drive and transferring it from there and it worked perfectly Then i tried putting only a few albums on my external and synced them onto my ipod no problem but once there were about songs on my ipod it would freeze again no matter how many songs i tried to transfer I have about songs so i dont want to have to sync the music from my c drive and then relocate the files in itunes from my external hard drive My external hard drive seems to be working fine so this seems like an issue with itunes and Windows Any ideas nbsp

A:External hard drive windows 7 itunes problem

How about from My computer just browse your ipod to where the music is stored and open your external hard drive and copy the tunes that way. (instead of using itunes)

I did that on my daughters new ipod because i was working on windows 7 and did not want to install itunes on Windows 7 but wanted to put her itunes music from xp on her new ipod.
it worked fine just like copying from one folder to another.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-windows-7-itunes-problem.139267/
Relevancy 78.26%

I am trying drive delete delete How my songs I hard I library? them from from Itunes when do to delete songs from my itunes that I do not like anymore to make some space on my laptop I know that sometimes when I delete songs it pops up saying quot delete from hard drive quot I want that to pop up always but for some reason it doesnt sometimes My friend said that it will only do that if you have itunes organizing the folders So i deleted my preferences and made it so itunes will organize my music How do I delete songs from hard drive when I delete them from my Itunes library? However I still delete songs and they dont delete off my hard drive I was told that the songs have to be in the itunes music folder How do I delete songs from hard drive when I delete them from my Itunes library? I had alot of songs in there but some in a different folder I thought maybe I could move the other How do I delete songs from hard drive when I delete them from my Itunes library? folder into the itunes music folder and then it would work However now when I go to play some songs it says the file cannot be found Anything I can do HELP ME

A:How do I delete songs from hard drive when I delete them from my Itunes library?

Because you moved the songs from where iTunes was used to looking for them they will not play - when each song comes up and the error message you described comes up you can click yes to find them and browse for them (you should know where they are if you put them all in one folder). This will re-establish the link to the song's new location in iTunes.
If you have lots to do, it may be faster to delete all your songs from iTunes (not your computer) and set up the folder on your computer properly - one My Music folder with all your music in there - they can be further sorted into subfolders if you want to. Then open iTunes, set the Preferences to "Keep iTunes folder organised" and "copy files to iTunes folder when adding to library" and import all your music from your My Music folder again.
When you get new music by whatever means and import them to iTunes it will automatically place a copy in the iTunes "iTunes music" folder for you and always know where to look for them.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-do-i-delete-songs-from-hard-drive-when-i-delete-them-from-my-itunes-library-350880.html
Relevancy 78.26%

PC was dying. Back up regularly onto MyBook. Have my ITunes folder that has ITunes music folder inside it and also ITunesMusicLibrary.xml and also ITunesLibrary.itl and a previousITunesLibraries folder and an AlbumArtwork folder and a couple of files with the extension .itdb

ITunes is now loaded on the new windows7 PC. I'm looking for some instructions on exactly what to do to get the music onto the new PC. I don't want to mess anything up. I've been reading, but it has just gotten me more confused. I'm happy to follow instructions, but need step-by-step....

Thanks for your help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-get-my-itunes-library-from-my-external-hdd-onto-my-new-windows7-pc.951257/
Relevancy 76.54%

Hi Everyone,
I am new here and useless in the computer world.

I am trying to copying my extensive itunes libray to an external hard drive.
I followed instructions downloaded from itunes(7). Everything was great until I went into the last instruction

File> Libray> Consolidate Library Message pops up click consolidate.

All was well copying files. Then suddenly 5 minutes in I get this message

UNKNOWN ERROR OCCURED - 69

I contacted I tunes tech support - they sent me instructions for a mac although I told them I had a pc. The instructions I downloaded are for a PC.
We got knowhere. When I called Microsoft for help a man in India wanted hundreds of dollars to help me.

Please can anyone help me with this problem?
regards
flygirl3002

Relevancy 76.54%

I am using windows and have all my itunes on an external home network drive. Everything is all set up and all new files are written to the drive. The problem is that if I add music from a cd to the library it is only recognized by the computer that I did it on and not recognised by the other computer. How do I make both computers recognize all content in the library?

Thanks, Joe

A:Solved: library on external drive using 2 computers I can't see all the library

No takers eh! I guess there are not many itunes users here?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-library-on-external-drive-using-2-computers-i-cant-see-all-the-library.975937/
Relevancy 74.39%

My problem is maybe a little complicated I want to move my iTunes library to an external hard drive Unfortunately I tried to move it without following the proper instructions from Mac I moved the music files iTunes Music folder to the external hard drive and deleted the folder and music files from my computer after the move Then I went to iTunes preferences to change the location of iTunes Media to the external Then I checked it and iTunes couldn t play couldn t find any of the files of course I moved everything back changed the preferences still couldn t find the songs so I re-created my library and playlists following the instructions from Apple support Now most of my music is back in iTunes but not all Some of it it said it couldn t find I m not sure of all of the music it can t find I know some of it from memory All of the files are in the iTunes Music folder I (iTunes some library iTunes Solved: Library Help find songs) can't assume and I so want to added the files it couldn t find but not duplicate everything I have in my library already Then move my files to the external properly How do I do this Bonus question None of my I iphone applications are in my iTunes I m afraid to connect my phone now as I fear I will lose the applications and Solved: iTunes Library Help (iTunes library can't find some songs) the info in those apps How should I handle this Sorry for the long explanation Thanks for your patience nbsp

A:Solved: iTunes Library Help (iTunes library can't find some songs)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-itunes-library-help-itunes-library-cant-find-some-songs.939142/
Relevancy 68.8%

So I bought this external 40 gig drive a while back and it turned out it was actually a pair of 20 gig drives. my itunes library has just reached the capacity of the device and it won't let me add anything else as long as i'm consolidating things onto the drive, which i would like to keep doing to save disk space on my actual PC. is there a way i can either merge the 2 drives or set itunes so that it splits the library between the drives? thanks!

A:Splitting Consolidated iTunes library over 2 external drives? (merging drives!?)

Don't know much about Itunes other than it's very restrictive about moving tunes. I've read a lot of good things about SharePod that sounds like you can do most anything you would want and still use itunes

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/splitting-consolidated-itunes-library-over-2-external-drives-merging-drives-93716.html
Relevancy 68.37%

hi guys,

Basically my friend has a broken IBM laptop T23 thinkpad, as the screen and other parts are completely damaged, he is unable to access his crucial data that is stored in the hard disk. I was able to remove the hard disk from from the laptop but now i want to back up the data from it.

The hard drive is IDE type but connector is very different compare to my 2.5" external IDE hard drive enclosure. Which means i cannot use USB to access data. I've googled in detail for any enclosures or ide to usb for this type of hard drive but again i was unsucessfull.

can anyone please advise me regarding this problem and what should i do to retrieve data all by myself without paying a visit to the shop.

Thank you
hard drive information

travelstar
ibm
model number is too long

A:Exporting data from thinkpad t23 hard drive

The hard disk in that computer may have an attached adapter that makes the connector look differently from what you are used to seeing. That adapter, if it has one, is removable and pulls straight off the back of the hard disk to expose a standard IDE pin arrangement.

Not all laptops have such an adapter; but, they are very common.

You aren't the first person fooled by that and similar adapters. When you remove the disk, they look like part of the disk drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/exporting-data-from-thinkpad-t23-hard-drive.908047/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi Looked through support amp tutorials amp can't seem to find an answer Hope you don't mind me asking here In XP I could monitor my Windows Media Player music files folders external problems & drive Library to my external storage drive That's where it would look amp update them from the locations I specified In Windows no matter what I've tried to do so far it also creates these files Library & external drive problems folders in my music library folder If I delete them from there it also deletes them from the external drive We're talking about approximately mp files This causes unnecessary wasted space on my hard drive Is this a library problem amp is there a workaround for it I can't monitor my file locations through options in Windows Media Player anymore I have to do it through the library folder Can the default library folder be deleted I think that's where the problem is but I'm guessing at this point Windows Media center creates another problem in that it will let me specify what locations to monitor music photos etc but when Wmc amp Wmp are both enabled in Windows features I get an error saying quot an error has occurred Not all of the features were successfully changed quot Anyway that's what I'm trying to resolve Thanks for listening amp I appreciate in advance any help or advice you might have

A:Library & external drive problems

What you could possible do is to change the default location of your default music folder to the external drive (if that is a disk - USB stick might not work). The default location change is done in Properties > Location tab of the music folder. How this will work with Media Center I don't know because I never use that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/313789-library-external-drive-problems.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi there,

I won't get too deeply into the harrowing saga of how two external hard drives of mine died within days of each other. Rather, I'll just say that I would like to do a virus scan on several external hard drives (including/especially the one I just got to replace the others). In other words, I want to find out if there was a virus or something in the material that I'm putting on the hard drives that makes them die. Could this be possible? If so, how can I conduct a virus scan specifically on the external drives?

Thanks!
Sonya

A:Scanning an external hard drive for viruses? External Hard drive DRAMA!

In My Computer . . right click the external drive and select Scan with { name of AV }

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/scanning-an-external-hard-drive-for-viruses-external-hard-drive-drama-186769.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi I am so close to resolving Library Not Drive on Tagged External in Pics a long running issue where both my wife and I take lots of photos but the pictures are stored across PCs all Windows and so we have not been able to see all of our pictures in one source I m Tagged Pics on External Drive Not in Library backing up each PCs pictures to an external drive I use SyncToy for this I have created a separate folder for each PC and then within each folder the sub-folder structure is duplicated where we have the same sort of themes For example each PCs folder has a Family sub-folder Each will also have Birthdays Christmas Weddings etc in the Family folder Different sub-folders might exist on each PC where there is no commonality For example I like walking and so I have folders related to the places I walk My wife has folders for her interests Then using the Pictures system folder and library on one of the PCs I have included each of the backed up folders along with the existing pictures folder for that master PC To see the one master source I have used the Homegroup This automatically provides the master PCs library as well as everyone else s The problem I m getting is that to see the master PCs library most effectively I want to arrange the pictures by their tag This resolves the issue of seeing the default view where you get all the folders from the master PC followed by the other source folders Arranging by tag brings them all together within their tagged themes So all pictures that are tagged Family can now be seen in one tagged category called Family However when I do this I can only see the pictures that are stored in the master PCs None of the external drive s pictures are loaded into the library If I revert back to arranging them by folder the external drive s pictures are then included I thought that maybe this was an indexing issue and so I included the external drive s backup areas in the index No that didn t fix it I noticed that after a bit of time when the external drive hibernated I viewed the library on the master PC that it is connected to which as arranged by tag The external drive didn t even get woken up It only started working when I changed the library to arrange by folder I would be grateful for any help on this it s so frustrating because as I said I m so close to cracking this issue nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/tagged-pics-on-external-drive-not-in-library.1163948/
Relevancy 66.22%

I don't seem to be able to place an external drive folder containing just about all my video files into my C drives' Libraries gt Videos gt Public Videos Is this possible Library drive into Public from external Folder As background I Folder from external drive into Public Library have a few videos located on my C drive where the operating system is located I can place these in the Public Videos folder I am then able to view files in this folder via a networked WD TV Live media player and also via a networked Beyonwiz PVR It seems that it is necessary for files to be in the Public Videos folder before they are accessible on my network I have reviewed many of the usual tutorials about adding folders to Libraries but none of them addresses my particular problem The only way I can get my external drives' videos folder into the Public Videos library folder is by quot dragging quot it into the Public Videos folder using Windows Explorer I used a small test folder I thought I had solved the problem but then I discovered that after I had done this a complete copy of this folder must have now been placed somewhere on my C drive as the videos were now viewable whether or not I had the drive plugged in which would seem to defeat the purpose of using an external drive for network storage in the first place The problem is that I cant keep fitting all the media that I want to view on my C drive Is it a limitation of Libraries that folders from external drives cannot be placed into the Public Libraries locations Or is there a workaround

A:Folder from external drive into Public Library

PS. It would even just be useful to know if anyone else can simply place folders from an external drive into their Public Libraries. If I know it is possible, then I guess I need to then start looking at network options and permissions etc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/86545-folder-external-drive-into-public-library.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Apologies if I'm on the wrong board but hoping for advice on rebuilding my iTunes library without library.xml rebuilding library on iTunes Advice without or .itl? a full library xml or itl I'm on Windows bit iTunes My tech skills are poor and after a corrupted library event I just reinstalled itunes and then added my itunes folder from my C drive in itunes File gt Add Folder To Library However not all the songs on the HD were added to my iTunes library i e for many albums random tracks were missing when viewed in iTunes the original xml and itl files were corrupted and I didn't try to use them for this I can go to Advice on rebuilding iTunes library without library.xml or .itl? the iTunes folder on the C drive and right-click to Open those missing files with iTunes After they have been played like that then they are visible in the library in itunes but doing that with every individual missing track is incredibly time-consuming I've just bought a new PC and want to port my whole library over to the new machine Is there any way of moving all the files to the new machine via external HD and then rebuilding the library without gaps even if the library xml and itl files from the old machine have gaps Any suggestions would be really appreciated or somewhere else to go to find help Many thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/621251/advice-on-rebuilding-itunes-library-without-libraryxml-or-itl/
Relevancy 65.36%

Can I put all my music and videos on an external hard drive and use then in iTunes? Do I have to set up the external hard drive in a special way to do this or is it just plug in and go?

Assume I'm very computer illiterate.

A:iTunes and External Hard Drives

Well, I'm not sure with iTunes, but I know it works with WMP11. All I did was plug my external drive in, rip my music to the external (or move music I'd already ripped). Then you set the library to the file on the external.

I doubt iTunes won't let you do that; if so, Apple probably doesn't deserve your business, since that's a pretty simple thing for them to do.

Let us know if you need more help.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/145603-itunes-external-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Ok! So, I bought an external hard drive and I can't figure out the correct way to transfer my itunes software and library to it without messing anything up. I have a ton of songs and need the external hard drive to free up space on my pc. Otherwise, I'm in serious trouble because the last I checked, I don't even have enough memory on my pc to do a disk defragment.

Any suggestions?

A:Itunes to External Hard drvie?

Keep the iTunes software and library where they are now and move the music files to the external drive. To test it out take some songs out of the iTunes library, copy the music files to the external drive and then put them back in the library. If that works OK, do it with the rest of them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/itunes-to-external-hard-drvie.507742/
Relevancy 64.93%

I m trying to pinpoint an issue I m having in RC x I have an iPod Touch which requires iTunes to sync music with external and hard iTunes, drives syncing, it and my music directory is on an external hard drive When listening to music iTunes, syncing, and external hard drives the drive and iTunes perform just fine iTunes also finds iTunes, syncing, and external hard drives and works with my iPod Touch until I decide to sync music The iPod disconnects from the bus my external hard drive stops and iTunes freezes for about minutes until it spits back an quot iPod device timed out quot error I have to restart my computer to use my hard drive again I m not sure if this is an issue with my hard drive iPod iTunes or I was using Vista and XP for a long time and the iPod always synced just fine with the music on my external I have had issues in the past with failing to read my hard drive randomly but that seems to have stopped as of recent Is anyone else having issues with iTunes or USB devices in P S I even tried an x XP VirtualBox but the same thing happens I don t want to install another permanent OS as I seem to do it every week anyway

A:iTunes, syncing, and external hard drives

I updated to 7 RTM (MSDN) and I'm still having similar issues, and so are a few of my co-workers and friends.

Turns out it's an issue with either Windows 7 and how it manages USB devices or the NForce system drivers. It's a USB issue, not an iTunes issue like I originally thought. I can't copy anything large to my USB devices - the system's CPU usage shoots sky high and all my USB devices disconnect. The only way I've found to fix it is to do a complete reboot. It's really inconvenient and frustrating when I can't use my external hard drive...

Is anyone else having this issue with their USB drives?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/244880/itunes-syncing-and-external-hard-drives/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi guys,
I recently bought a Toshiba satellite click mini, tried to use my external hard drive but its not showing up at all. Any ideas on how to fix this?
its a Seagate 250gb hard drive. Thanks in advance

A:Satellite click mini not reconising external hard drive or external DVD drive

Originally Posted by rachel.nickells

Hi guys,
I recently bought a Toshiba satellite click mini, tried to use my external hard drive but its not showing up at all. Any ideas on how to fix this?
its a Seagate 250gb hard drive. Thanks in advance

Is it usb powered? If so does the hard drive spin up? Are there any clicking noises from the drive?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?83630-Satellite-click-mini-not-reconising-external-hard-drive-or-external-DVD-drive
Relevancy 64.5%

I want to get an external hard drive dvd burner combo if there is such a thing To make this question as simple as possible I need a drive/dvd-rw External OR Solved: combo? External drive Hard Hard hard drive that my camera can be plugged into with the firewire I also need the hard drive that is able to plug in to the USB slot on my computer Solved: External Hard drive OR External Hard drive/dvd-rw combo? because my new Dell doesn t seem to tolerate a firewire card which I installed and then took out and returned to the store It froze my computer and I tried everything to stabilize it but had no luck It did work long enough to download min or so of video and I burned that onto a cd Thats when I found out I had a dvd-rom not a dvd burner long story I know Sorry I just want to figure out the most economical way now to save my movies and burn them to dvd also using either another external dvd burner or maybe there is a hard drive dvd burner combo Or should I just get two separate externals Again I need the hard drive burner to plug into my computer with usb Then the firewire from the camera would go into the hard drive burner to download the movies nbsp

Relevancy 64.07%

Hello,
This is my first post. I just installed Windows 7 and one thing is really annoying me. How do I shut off the feature that asks me to take ownership of every individual folder in my music files from my external drive before I can open them and add them to my media player library? I just want to add them the way I used to in XP or better yet just drag and drop the main folder into media player.

A:How do I add music files from external drive to media player library using windows 7?

This information should do the trick.You will basically take possession of the entire drive all at once instead of files\folders on at a time.I realize it says XP in the title but it should work for Win7 too.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/379395/how-do-i-add-music-files-from-external-drive-to-media-player-library-using-windows-7/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi all. I'm quite new to all this forum and computer stuff so please forgive me if this is a stupid question or not explained well.

We've got iTunes on our computer and have got most of our music on there. Is there any way I can move/copy the tunes I've got on iTunes across to somewhere else so I can play them with the windows media player. This might sound daft, but our little boy loves watching the screen with some of the visual effects you can get with the windows media player and you just can't get the same effects on the iTunes, so I don't mind doing a bit of work in exchange for one of his smiles!

Cheers in advance for any help. Moose.

A:Exporting from iTunes

It's usually not a good idea to convert between formats, but I think you can go into edit --> preferences --> importing tab and change format to mp3 (which will play in WMP). Right-click on music tracks and select convert to mp3 to convert. I'm not sure I have it right. Tell me if it works.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2367/exporting-from-itunes/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hiya!!

Today i noticed odd problem with my iTunes, my iTunes didn't add all my albums to library?? I really don't know why, it adds some albums but not all...

My music is here:
G:\Music (where G:\ is external drive)

I tried so many times to add those missing albums to iTunes library but no luck...i tried add folder to library and add files to library but no luck...it will not appear to my iTunes library...

Here's how it looks in my external:
G:\Music\Delain\April Rain.mp3 (there's only 1 archive in every artist and then mp3)

Please help me!

iTunes version: 9.2.0.61 x64

A:My iTunes is not adding all my albums to my iTunes library

1) Are all the affected files .mp3s
2) Have you tried moving any of these files into a different folder and re-adding
3) Do the files open up ok manually with iTunes??

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/95428-my-itunes-not-adding-all-my-albums-my-itunes-library.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Is there any way I can do this??

I'm trying to downgrade from iTunes 10.5 to a version that doesn't crash (see my previous thread). However, whenever I do this, I cannot import my Library file (.itl) because it was created by a newer version of iTunes.

No, an older version of the iTunes Library file is NOT acceptable, as I have added music since then.

A:Downgrading iTunes without losing iTunes Library.itl???

I'm not sure exactly how you use I-tunes.

I use an 8 or 10 year old version (4.9). It works fine on Win 7 SP 1 64-bit. No crashes.

I get new mp3s nearly every day.

The easiest way I have found to add the new mp3s to I-tunes is simply to clear the old library and then re-create it every week or so. I have about 22,000 songs and this process takes about 6 minutes. I just did it yesterday.

Song management is important to me and I do not want I-tunes to do anything "automatically", so I restrict it to playback only. I manually control the library by making a new one with all new songs every week. There might be another way, but it would conflict with my own ideas about file management---I don't want I-tunes involved in that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/187427-downgrading-itunes-without-losing-itunes-library-itl.html
Relevancy 63.21%

How do I export music from itunes to Windows Movie Maker?

A:exporting itunes music

Any music in itunes, is in a folder somewhere on your computer. You can just simply navigate to that folder in WMM, and add the music you want.

The music isn't technically in itunes. Itunes is just a player that plays the music which is located somewhere on the PC.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/exporting-itunes-music-272450.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I dont know where to start with moving my iTunes to an external drive, Im presumming its not as easy as drag and drop. Im hoping someone will be able to help

A:Moving iTunes from c:\ to external drive

What are you trying to move? Just the music? You could just drag and drop all of your music onto the external drive, then just re-add all of your music back to the Itunes program.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/moving-itunes-from-c-to-external-drive-344527.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I was told by the wizards at Apple that my drive was out of date. I went out to purchase a new external CD Rom drive. Now, I don't know how to have iTunes recognize the CDs in the external drive. I just bought a Dynex CD drive. If anyone could be of assistance, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/itunes-wont-recognize-my-external-cd-r-drive.360802/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hello,
I have a friend who previously backed up her itunes library to an external hard drive.
She now needs to reimport the library back into her itunes app, but when I go to import, it prompts me to open folders me all the way down to the song list, within each folder.
While I can import each song individually, it doesn't make a lot of sense to do that since the library has about 50 gigs in it.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

A:XP and Itunes, can't import from external drive

I think in itunes there is under the under "File" it will say "add a folder to library" , do that and select the folder you want and it sud import all them in the folder for you

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-and-itunes-cant-import-from-external-drive-187480.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I want to free up space on my Mac and my ITunes library is eating up a lot of memory. Can I save the library on my external WDMybook drive and still sync with my ipod?

Cheers,

Jeff

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/running-itunes-from-external-drive.157942/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi guys,

I've become sick of Itunes and want to move to something like Musicbee or foobar2000. Now my problem is that I don't know how to extract my itunes library whilst still keeping the metadata (names, album names, artists, downloaded artwork, etc) and have it in a readable format.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch

A:Exporting Itunes songs with metadata

First of all make sure all of your music files are in Mp3 format. If you have some tracks that are a different format use iTunes to convert them to Mp3.

Most of the metadata should be stored in tags that are inside the Mp3 files. There might be some other data that's only stored in the iTunes database.

Download Mp3tag and scan your files to see what's actually stored in the tags. Make sure that the album art shows up as a tag. If there are any incorrect tags or tags that are missing, use Mp3tag to fix them before moving the files into Musicbee or foobar.

Of those two I'd suggest using Musicbee, it's more user friendly and easier to setup than foobar2000.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/exporting-itunes-songs-with-metadata.1118316/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi guys,

I've become sick of Itunes and want to move to something like Musicbee or foobar2000. Now my problem is that I don't know how to extract my itunes library whilst still keeping the metadata (names, album names, artists, downloaded artwork, etc) and have it in a readable format.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch

A:Exporting Itunes songs with metadata

Have you thought about Windows Media Player?

Did you buy your music through iTunes?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/exporting-itunes-songs-with-metadata-785106.html
Relevancy 62.35%

hello everyone

can anyone please tell me if it is possible to take all of my mp3 tracks out of itunes
and on to my external hard drive.

regards calmat

A:export mp3 tracks from itunes to an external drive

Hi again
You may want the I Handler. Since not tried by me, you may want to start with a system restore point, just in case.
iHandler – Export Mp3 Music From iTunes

http://www.vistax64.com/sound-audio/290668-export-mp3-tracks-itunes-external-drive.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi

I have just invested in an external hard drive to store all of my music etc.. I am having problems putting the music onto the hard drive and itunes knowing where it is.

i have tried the following:

Transferring the itunes music folder from its location in My Documents/My Music/Itunes to the hard drive
Opened itunes and the music had gone
Imported it from the external hard drive
itunes then created a new folder in "My Music' folder and put everything back where it was orginally !!

A friend of mine has his working so that the song titles appear in itunes yet wont play unless the hard drive is attached (he has a laptop), yet he can't remember how he did this !!

Can anyone help me out as i would really like to move this music so i can free up some space on my "C" drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/moving-itunes-songs-to-an-external-drive.601271/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello,
I am trying to move all my files from my computer to my new external hard drive, but whenever I try and move a file over 4 GB in size i get this error message...
"The file is too large for the destination file system"... anyone know how I can get around this so I can move those files over?

A:Problem transfering large file from hard drive to external hard drive

Get ahold of some software that will break up the file into chunks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-transfering-large-file-from-hard-drive-to-external-hard-drive.105596/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hey a Hard Drive Drive External an please! 80gb Enclosure, Zune help in Hard Putting guys My Zune gb stopped working a while back It wouldn t charge So I thought I would take Putting a Zune 80gb Hard Drive in an External Hard Drive Enclosure, help please! out the hard drive and use it as an external gb hard drive So I bought an quot ZIF encolsure for it and installed the hard drive into it All appears good with the installation When I plug the hard drive into the PC the light on the hard drive enclosure comes on and stays on amp the disk starts spinning Then Windows Vista does the whole quot Install new Hardware quot thing and calls it a quot Disk Drive quot and a quot USB Mass Storage Device quot and says hardware is installed and ready for use But the problem is I can t seem to access the drive I can t find it anywhere It doesn t show up as a drive I can use or anything I tried a third party partitioning prgram to try and find the disk so I could reformat it but it wouldn t it couldn t find it either I even plugged the drive into my Mac thinking that Disk Utility might be able to recognize it and let me wipe it but the Mac doesn t recognize it as anything Back in Vista Using Device Manager Vista notices the drive under the quot Disk Drives quot option as a quot Disk Drive quot and that it is elecronically signed by Microsoft since it has the Zune firmware on it but I can t do anything with it And this is the only place where I can see that the drive even exists I can t reformat it or anything Can anyone help me I thought I read somewhere that the problem is the zune firmware Is there anyway I can wipe it Please help I have spent hours searching online and can t seem to get anywhere If I have posted this is in the wrong forum I am sorry Thank you Timothy nbsp

A:Putting a Zune 80gb Hard Drive in an External Hard Drive Enclosure, help please!

anyone?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/putting-a-zune-80gb-hard-drive-in-an-external-hard-drive-enclosure-help-please.1009940/
Relevancy 62.35%

I see it can be done from an installed to an external, but can it be done in reverse, taking the external cased hard drive and cloning it to an internal? The old hard drive is from an xp laptop, and I can aquire another xp laptop if I can clone this way. Perhaps if I set the enclosure hard drive as master? All ideas are greatly appreciated. Many thanks

A:Clone a laptop hard drive from an external case to an internal hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/clone-a-laptop-hard-drive-from-an-external-case-to-an-internal-hard-drive.1037757/
Relevancy 61.49%

I need an external hard drive for taking regular backups of all of my data.
When i searched the internet I got two options:
1. Porable HDD [high cost, slower speed but don't need external power]
2. Desktop HDD [low cost, higher speed but need external power]

I want to know that...
1. Which hard disk's live longer? Porable or Desktop.
2. I heared that pulling off USB cable of Portable HDD may cause data lose because it also supplies power to hdd.
What will happpen if Power goes off from Desktop HDD? Will my data/Hard disk remain protected?
3. Level of safety of data on moving or shaking on both Desktop and Portable HDD.
4. Can we install os and boot from portable and desktop external hdd?

A:Need Advice : External Desktop Hard drive vs Portable Hard drive?

Unless you really need to go portable with a Laptop .. I'd not use a USB powered External.
You cannot boot from a USB External .. But there's another option if you're capable of physically changing HDDs ..

Get a good external Enclosure (with a fan for cooling) .. Install a good HDD ... with a 5 year warranty
and make the HDD in the enclosure a bootable backup .. where you could swap HDDs if/when needed ..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-advice-external-desktop-hard-drive-vs-portable-hard-drive.988810/
Relevancy 61.49%

I recently formatted my c drive and now i am reinstalling all the software. I keep all the setups of software in my external hard drive. For installing the software I coy the setup folder of the required software on my laptop, then install it.

Is straightaway installing the software by accessing the external hard drive okay? Does it make any difference in the installation time or any reduction in life of hard disk performance.

Or should I always install through my laptop hard drive?

I am running windows 8.1 pro

A:installation software from external hard drive or internal hard drive

Your method is as good as any. If it works, keep doing it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/installation-software-from-external-hard-drive-or-internal-hard-drive-1056962.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Looking to buy an external hard drive for backup. This will be used only to backup data periodically. This is certainly a good price ($140):

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1474205

I've never heard of it. Anyone have any experience with that brand?

A:Opinions on BeyondMicro External Hard Drive?-or recommendations on External Case?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/opinions-on-beyondmicro-external-hard-drive-or-recommendations-on-external-case.381320/
Relevancy 61.06%

Quick question that someone might know the answer to Tryin to make my HTPC as power efficient as possible heres the setup DISK - HD --- Movie Titles ------- Movie mkv - TV DISK - HD --- Movie Titles ------- Movie mkv - XVID ETC up to disks Library mode just has a folder called Movies and all the HD folders under it so everything appears like its on one in Hard Drive Spinup Library/Homegroup Prevent view partition in one folder Movies Library ----DISK HD FOLDER ----DISK HD FOLDER ----DISK HD FOLDER Now everytime i access that movies library all the hard drives spin up Is there any way to cache the contents so it only spins up the drive when the actual movie title is picked on a certain drive and only spins up that drive to play the movie So if Prevent Hard Drive Spinup in Library/Homegroup view Transformers was on disk all i want to spin up is disk but i still want to be able to see whats on all drives I hope i was clear on what is going on and what i want to happen

A:Prevent Hard Drive Spinup in Library/Homegroup view

No it is not possible...the Library view is just an aggregation of separate file system calls. To get the list of files it needs to spin up the HDD to get the list of files...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/30646-prevent-hard-drive-spinup-library-homegroup-view.html
Relevancy 60.63%

So I want to clone one external 2TB with another. So one drive is the main use one and another the backup one. So I copy everything over to backup and i store the backup at another house and then I start using the main: deleting and adding/editing files. What is the best software or whatever to allow me, after some time, synchronize/clone the externals again without deleting all on the backup drive and recopying? (main to backup) and make them clones again? ..Adding and deleting or replacing any nonidentical files.. Like where i can press a button on some software and it do the work for me.
Sorry if this is confusing

A:Best external to external hard drive synchronized backup plan?

There's a bunch of applications that can do that.

They all work pretty much the same way, but would differ in how easy they are to understand and configure---the interfaces would differ and the help files would differ.

I use FreeFileSync from sourceforge.net.

Others are Syncback, Folder Clone, Karen's Replicator, FBackup, Second Copy, and Synchromagic.

You should be able to configure them to do one or the other of the following:

1: If you delete or modify a file on the "original", it will also be deleted or modified on the backup.

2: If you delete a file on the "original", it will be retained on the backup. If you modify a file, both the modified and unmodified file will be retained on the backup.

It's up to you which choice you prefer. I use the first method, which is often called "mirroring"--one drive is an exact match of the other.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/346288-best-external-external-hard-drive-synchronized-backup-plan.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi, for nearly a year now I've been using a Buffalo 500GB external hard drive.
Just yesterday though, after unplugging it from my PC, using it on another Windows 7 machine and then attempting to reconnect it the my PC, it began to show up on My Computer as a Local Disk rather than an external. In addition, when I try to access it, it gives me this message: E:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. My question is, is there any way to return the drive to it's original state or recover the data inside? The data is of extreme importance.
Thanks for any help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-being-read-as-an-internal-hard-drive.1077768/
Relevancy 59.77%

I currently am running windows x bit and I am thinking of copying my entire hard drive consisting of C amp D drives using a total of GB of space nbsp And wanting to external as Drive Complete drive a Copying to hard b... an Hard get a Western Digital External Hard Drive with TB Copying Complete Hard Drive to an external hard drive as a b... of space nbsp I have been led to believe that windows has a utility called System Image Back Up Utility located in the Control Panel nbsp I have also been led to believe that this can be done completely using a bit by bit copy of the entire hard drive programs files drivers apps utilities etc nbsp But I can not fine enough info on doing this And there are still questions such as How do you transfer the copy from the external hard drive back onto the PC if it should completely crash I do have a five disk recovery set I made when I purchased my PC but still want an additional source of a back up system nbsp I can not find the procedures for copying the copy from the external hard drive to the crashed PC and are ther better and Copying Complete Hard Drive to an external hard drive as a b... safer programs out there to use instead of the windows system Image back up utility nbsp I would add that I am somewhat of an intermediate user useing PCs since windows but there are obviously issues that I need to research before attempting something this complicated and advanced nbsp Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp Thanks in Advance Solved View Solution

A:Copying Complete Hard Drive to an external hard drive as a b...

A description of System Image Backup can be found here.  If you want both C and D, I would suggest a clone program. Both Seagate and WD offer a free Disk Wizard Program. With the cloning process, you use an external case to perform the clone.  When disaster strikes, you swap out the drives, and continue. Personally, I make clones of my primary desktops every 30-45 days.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Copying-Complete-Hard-Drive-to-an-external-hard-drive-as-a/td-p/5567856
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi guys I'm new on any sort of Drive an Internal like External acting Hard Hard Drive forums so go easy if it's a stupid question but here goes Me and my brother built me a new computer from scratch he did the building - i did the watching To cut a long story short - I purchased an internal hard drive from Overclockers UK It's a Samsung TB drive I also have a Solid-state drive in there as my primary hard drive that Windows was installed on and a couple of programs are installed on My storage disk the TB disk is for all my music films etc Whenever I drag and drop a file into the Samsung hard-drive - it copies it rather than moves it instantly When I had Internal Hard Drive acting like an External Hard Drive a laptop I had external hard drives and this is the way it copied files onto them Does anyone know how I can get the Internal Hard Drive acting like an External Hard Drive internal drive to stop acting like an external drive Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Internal Hard Drive acting like an External Hard Drive

This is the way it works. I have an 80GB SSD and an internal HDD and the same happens if the file/folder is large enough. If you just copy a few MBs, you will not see the window with the green stripe running. But if e.g. you copy 500MBs, you will see it. It physically moves the data. That is different if you copy on the same volume from one folder to another. Then it only makes an entry in the MFT.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/68592-internal-hard-drive-acting-like-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I earlier posted about the Aspire AST -UP A be internal external Can drive hard full used hard drive? for having GB hard drive I since then contacted Aspire chat support Apparently not being tech savy we didn t realize gb hard drive only c drive is able to be used the d data drive holds the programs to run the computer I didn t mean can I use the external hard drive internally I meant if I hook it up externally would it work in place of the internal hard drive Can external hard drive be used for full internal hard drive? that is nearly full except for around GB So unfortunately the computer Can external hard drive be used for full internal hard drive? isn t as big as you believe But I wanted to know if I purchase I was looking at Can external hard drive be used for full internal hard drive? western digital elements TB external hard drive Can we use it for this computer It will not run itunes or anything like that but we can obviously go online My brother wants to buy a new computer but I know that is probably not the way to go Should we get an internal hard drive installed and other memory or something or can we use the external hard drive I would appreciate any informed help on this since we do not no technical info on computers Can t really afford to buy another computer right now Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Can external hard drive be used for full internal hard drive?

If you want to take out the drive from external hard drive case and install it in your desktop/laptop, then usually you can. Usually external hard drives are just ordinary hard drives accompanied by some extra controller to make it able to "talk" via general ports (e.g. USB). However I am not familiar with digital elements 2TB , so I can not confirm it. But I do have WD external drive, which I had positively confirm that its real drive is just ordinary hard drive.

Note that if you decide to do this, I suggest to find experience people to work on extracting the drive. If you do it yourself you will risk to damage it, and you don't want that since usually opening the closure means voiding the warranty.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-external-hard-drive-be-used-for-full-internal-hard-drive.161546/
Relevancy 59.77%

I am unsure about what happens after you convert your internal hard drive to an external hard drive... Let's say the internal HDD was your only laptop HDD and you replaced it with a SSD. If you convert your old internal HDD to an external HDD, what would happen when you open it up on your newly installed OS (on the SSD)?

I am trying to download a new OS but us my old internal HDD as an external drive just to access specific files. However, I don't want any other data/programs/settings/etc. downloaded onto my new SSD. Do I need to delete my old OS when I convert my old internal HDD into an external HDD or does the OS simply get "reduced" to a bunch of files that I will see on my newly installed OS?

If anyone is able to clarify these questions that would be fantastic!

A:What happens after you convert your internal hard drive to an external hard drive?

does the OS simply get "reduced" to a bunch of files that I will see on my newly installed OS?Click to expand...

Yes
it will just be seen as a data drive and you would need to goto the directory for your data
it wont run as an OS at all

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-happens-after-you-convert-your-internal-hard-drive-to-an-external-hard-drive.1118543/
Relevancy 59.77%

I have an internal hard disk not in use ,and I would like to make it as external disk !
I looked on the net and I found I should have the " encelsure " butt I think I wont find it here in my city .
So is there another way ? like usb -esata cable ?

A:how to make your internal hard drive into and external hard drive ?

Firstly, where are you based (Which country)? I would get the part of the internet, I trust we are talking about a 3.5" drive? Do you have an esata port on your pc? I would get something similar to this, I think: Play.com - Buy CiT 35M17SEF 3.5 inch SATA / USB / Firewire / eSATA External Hard Drive Enclosure online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/221889-how-make-your-internal-hard-drive-into-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I had been using my Hitachi 320g external HD for 2yrs.It had not problem until yesterday I transfering some files from my Drive C to Hitachi HD when the computer hang.I unpluged the external HD and restart PC.When I pluged in the external HD again it was recognised as interrnal HD.I've problem accessing the files.The PC detected it was FAT32 since my system was NTFS and asked me to reformat my external HD.I tried connect to other PC but no different.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-recognised-as-internal-hard-drive.915927/
Relevancy 58.91%

I m not sure if I should have put this in quot Hardware quot or not so I am by far a professional at this so hang in there with me if I confuse you A few months ago my children broke the screen on my laptop and for a few weeks I was trying to use the External Monitor so it would show up on a monitor my sister gave me Well I finally got that up and working however now when I connect my external hard drive to the laptop it will not show up on the desktop monitor The external hard drive is Western Digital This external monitor is a new thing for me actually I knew you could do it but with Help Hard External External and Monitor Drive didn t try it as an option until my nephew - who is much younger than me - thought of it lol Anyway I have Help with External Monitor and External Hard Drive pictures and such on my external hard drive that were put onto the external by Help with External Monitor and External Hard Drive the very laptop I am using I m not totally sure of the montior I am using all I can tell you at the moment is it s a Dell The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A S the laptop has Vista Home Basic bit and I believe the desktop monitor is running with Vista too but I m not sure if that s important since it is only serving as a quot view quot Anyway I would love some help with why the drive may not be working with this set up Thanks Kerri nbsp

A:Help with External Monitor and External Hard Drive

This may seem like a silly question, have you tried the HD on another PC to see if the issue is with that?
Also, are you saying it's not showing up in 'My Computer', or are you not getting the option to open files?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-external-monitor-and-external-hard-drive.983998/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hey I recently backed up my two hard drives 250gb (not RAID) onto one 500gb drive. i wiped the two drives and enabled RAID and booted my computer via the new 500gb hard drive. this worked and the computer ran as normal. the problem I am recieving however is iTunes is not loading up and working.

Whenever I try to start iTunes I get the standard error, send error report/dont send error report message from my system.

I am using the newest version of iTunes and my system is Windows XP Media Center ed. 2002 SP. 3

Thanks for potential help!

A:Backing up my hard drive and Itunes

I think I know how to fix this, by changing the directory letter of my drive but would render all programs on my previously F: drive useless. Help?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/backing-up-my-hard-drive-and-itunes-317415.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Gday I have Hard & Paragon Hard External Disk Suite Manager Drive USB emailed Paragon and am awaiting there reply but you guys seem to know a lot more and try and solve the problem Up to this point I have used either Acronis or Paragon for my backups I prefer Paragon over Acronis mainly because the restore by Paragon is far quicker I have both bootable CD's but in this instance I would like to concentrate on Paragon I downloaded Paragon's Advanced Recovery CD Build Put it in my rom and booted looked at a black screen for minutes Removed it and rebooted it got stuck at the loading of Vista then I got another black screen no hard drive movement Rebooted again this time with the regular Paragon bootable CD It booted into the recovery console Now this is where things go from bad to worse I tried finding my OS after a lengthy period I received an error disk i o fault no operating system found Now disk is my external hard drive where my backups are kept So I rebooted with the CD in went into the recovery console and clicked on quot safe restore quot after playing the waiting game I get a message disk i o fault Took out the Paragon CD put in the Vista one tried a repair but there was no OS to repair So I installed Vista and because I didn't want to have to reinstall all of my programs again yer lazy I know but that's what backup's are for Checked with the fresh install that my two external hard drives had there drivers and were present They were both accounted for in Vista So put back in the Paragon bootable CD got to the recovery console tried a quot normal restore quot and once again got disk i o fault So I tried a quot safe restore quot same error message Back tracked to see if my OS was still there and IT HAD GONE So again I installed Vista checked with the fresh install that my two external hard drives had there drivers and were present They were both accounted for in Vista Put back in the Paragon bootable CD got to the recovery console tried a quot safe restore quot and once again got disk i o fault Back tracked to see if my OS was still there and IT HAD GONE AGAIN So yet again I installed Vista this time I tried copying over the latest backup to a partition that the Paragon recovery console could read Tried again and yup you guessed it lost the OS again this time the error message was disk i o fault Once again I installed Vista this time however I installed the Paragon software initially it wouldn't find my backups but I was like a dog with a bone and eventually got Paragon Paragon Hard Disk Manager Suite & USB External Hard Drive to locate them This time I tried a restore from the Windows environment crossed my fingers my eyes and my legs eventually Paragon said it needed to reboot to continue the operation I rebooted and the recovery looked promising but I could not sit there and watch it waiting for it to fail so I went and watched the TV for a couple of hours I came back to my PC and OMG shock horror EVERYTHING WAS BACK Now for the question I have used the recovery console before and it found my USB external hard drives why this time could it not Footnote I also tried my Acronis bootable CD it loaded then the screen went black I have since done a backup to my external just to make sure it was still viable it worked without a hitch I also did a backup on a partition that is on a different hard drive to my OS just in case I run into this problem again Whether or not it will be read is a whole different story

Relevancy 58.48%

hi there..

my name is Anis...i just bought external hard drive 500gb...but after I formatted it..it's just about 400++ gb can be used..i would like to know..how to use the extra/reserve space for my ext hard disk?by any means, i want to fully use my 500gb space for the external...please help me...thank you...

A:How to fully use the extra hard disk space for external hard drive?

It should have about 465GB, what are you seeing?

You will not have 500GB due to the conversion between binary and decimal for reporting sizes.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-fully-use-the-extra-hard-disk-space-for-external-hard-drive.887632/
Relevancy 58.48%

Here is my problem I bought a maxtor not hard Itunes drive and compatable Portable one touch mini to back up music and such I am now trying to be able to get itunes to look quot at quot the hard drive to access and store all of my media I have been successful in that it works wonderfully until I try and sync my ipod Once I plug my ipod in the computer no longer recognizes Itunes and Portable hard drive not compatable the external drive I have to restart the computer for it Itunes and Portable hard drive not compatable to recognize Here is what I have tried YES I have followed the directijon to allow itunes to work off of an external hard drive I have also tried Songbird hareled as the firefox of itunes that had the same result I have uninstalled and Itunes and Portable hard drive not compatable reinstalled itunes a couple times with the newest version I was unable to find an update to the maxtor drivers if thats all it is facepalm Am i missing something has this happened to anyone else is there an easy fix a hard fix nbsp

A:Itunes and Portable hard drive not compatable

Have you tried different USB ports? The front and back ports on some machines are actually the same bus.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/itunes-and-portable-hard-drive-not-compatable.775825/
Relevancy 58.48%

My hard drive has less than 100gigs on it. Just bought a 250gig internal hard-drive which I have set-up as the 'slave.' On my original hard drive I want to keep just the operating system and most of the programs. How would I go about moving 'My Documents' to my new hard-drive? Will windows try to keep defaulting 'My Docs' to my original drive?

Also, what can i do about iTunes? Can anyone let me know how to get it to now tie in with My Documents/MY Music/iTunes on the other drive?

A:Extra Hard-drive - My Docs - iTunes

Hi ZLRAC...

open the My Documents folder on the system drive and then copy the contents to the new location on the slave. You can edit the registry to change the default location of the My Documents folder but it's not something i'd recommend as you can just move the contents to the new folder and then change the settings of the programs which use My Documents.

I don't have iTunes myself but have done some work on a friend's pc who uses it and I distinctly remember a section in the settings where you can change the location of the iTunes folder (possibly Options -> Settings -> Library??)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/extra-hard-drive-my-docs-itunes-138940.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Seriously need help External hard disk causes hard drive failures amp OS crashes The thread is rather long Only read what you think important Skip the rest We have a serious but mysterious problem We have spent already one week but drawing a blank Two hard drives drive External failures & need causes disk crashes hard OS hard help] [Seriously have been crashed and failed unreadable One [Seriously need help] External hard disk causes hard drive failures & OS crashes computer has hung a few times unexpectedly and had one weird restart no memory dump produced I suspect all the recent problems have to do with the new USB external hard disk Buffalo MiniStation Lite HD-PE [Seriously need help] External hard disk causes hard drive failures & OS crashes U Formatting USB external hard disk Originally I would like to [Seriously need help] External hard disk causes hard drive failures & OS crashes use the program given by Buffalo to format the external drive once but we failed We simply used Windows to reformat the drive into NTFS I did not use the TurboSpeed advertised by Buffalo or run its free program Case A Multi-transfer causes system crashes The first time we met the problem We were trying to help a friend to backup data on an old drive about a few years old We plugged in the Buffalo USB portable hard drive and transferred a whole lot of files to the drive Several cop cut-and-paste operations were active at that time The whole system completely froze up It doesn t respond at all Only a hard restart could help Restarted Tranferred again Several cop cut-and-paste operations were active Hard drive crashed - the beginning of the nightmare Windows restarted Chkdsk was running Saw many lines of messages with quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot Chkdsk run very long time perhaps a hour or so complaining that some couldn t be fixed some okay Initially I thought it was simply because it so happened that the hard drive failed in the middle of transfer But the same nightmare occurred when we tried to plug it into another computer Case B Open folder causes system crashes I plugged in the Buffalo USB external hard disk on a laptop computer I tried to check if transferred files were safe I have no ideas how to check but it looked okay Some files were transferred to and from the external hard drive I made sure only copy-paste operation was active this time Then computer hung for a while and displayed Blue Screen of Death I recorded the message on a piece of paper but it was lost later Restarted I believed chkdsk was automatically run and fixed some errors found not too sure about this I resumed the work I made sure only copy-paste operation was active this time The system hung this time when I double clicked on a folder to see what contents inside Another Blue Screen of Death popped up later KERNEL STACK INPAGE ERROR x xC E xC E x x C Info on this BSOF http support microsoft com default aspx scid kb en-us Q Computer restarted Chkdsk was automatically run Nightmare again quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot Chkdsk attempted to fix the problem but it complained quot not sufficient space quot Then I received STOP C a Unknown Hard Error Oh my gosh What s up I don t believe it so happened AGAIN the hard drive failed when some actions were performed between the hard drive and the USB external hard disk I started to feel something went very wrong Is it virus Case C Scanning for virus causes system crashes Searching on the net didn t find any case which was similar to mine I tried again on a new computer Fresh Windows copy New hard drive less than year old Only a handful of programs were installed I downloaded Avira and did on-demand scan for my internal hard drive first No virus was found Was I safe now I plugged in... Read more

A:[Seriously need help] External hard disk causes hard drive failures & OS crashes

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/seriously-need-help-external-hard-disk-causes-hard-drive-failures-os-crashes.840539/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi,

I backed up my HDD using Acronis on a different PC, I then commenced a clean install of windows 7.
I have restored my documents and music back, and yet there is none of my music there, is there anyway of getting the music back?

A:iTunes Library

I don't know if it is the same on the pc or if there is a better, faster way, but the only way I've ever done it is select all, and then drag and drop. It will take some time to load, depending on how much you have there.

If anyone has a more efficient way, the help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/408377/itunes-library/
Relevancy 58.05%

First Post!!

I updated my itunes library to the most recent version this weekend and now I can't find any of my songs in my Itunes library. Need help in recovering!!!

Thanks,

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/itunes-library-gone.559778/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi everyone, I hope you are able to give me some advice. As my data store on my PC and laptop are growing ever larger, I would like to move my iTunes library, which is around 60GB, to an external NAS box like the Lacie 1TB NAS - these are fairly cheap but should hopefully enable me to centrally store and manage my iTunes library, and access it from my PC or laptop wherever I am in my house. I am not sure however if this is supported or if it can be done, and I have searched the web but not found a definitive answer. Can anyone out there help me with any advice or guidance please?

Thanks for reading

A:iTunes library on a NAS box?

This is almost exactly what I did with my Zune library when I got an external drive, and I used to have iTunes and I know it can be done the same way.

All you do it move the audio files onto your NAS, and then in iTunes you find all the music that you just moved (they should have exclamation marks next to them) and you delete the tracks from the library. Then you re-import then by going to File -> Import, and choosing the folder(s) on your NAS where you put all the music. The only bummer about doing it is that you lose any star ratings that you had, and they might get deleted off of playlists that you created (I've never bothered to make playlists).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/itunes-library-on-a-nas-box.879448/
Relevancy 58.05%

I downloaded songs into my itunes, everything was workin fine
then i had to reimage my computer for a different reason
i plugged in my ipod and downloaded itunes again
but the library was messed up, it doesn't show my old songs
it shows my folder under DEVICES
and a new folder under SHARED

how do i get my old folder back with my old songs?
if not how can i delete ALL the songs from itunes and my ipod.
I tried doing it manually but the delete option doesn't come up when i right click.

i know it's really frustrating but ny help would be appreciated.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/112159/itunes-library/
Relevancy 58.05%

recently deleted Itunes library by selecting all and deleting. I have all of my music in one folder on my external hard drive. Upon reinstalling that folder to itunes, realized that hundreds of tracks are missing. Only certain cd's that i burned are missing and not the most recent. I ran a system restore and all the folders came back, but the actual tracks are missing, I did not manually back up my library before this, thinking that all my music was safe. All the music was burned through itunes on this PC. Other files I copied from my laptop are safe. Very perplexed..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/itunes-library.916415/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi.

I have my iTunes library stored and used via a seagate 750GB Ext HD, I used to use my old laptop to access, add, edit etc data in my library, unfortunately my old laptop (Running Vista) got damaged beyond repair and was totally unusable, so I bought a new laptop (HP G61, running Windows 7 home premium). I have managed to deauthorise and authorsie the laptops as required.

My problem is that although I can access iTunes in the Ext HD via my new laptop I cannot edit any of the data in the iTunes library - when I go to "get info" all of the data is lightly greyed out and cannot be edited in any way. I've tried converting all the tracks to AAC but this doesn't work.

Please can someone advise how I can get to edit my library.

Many thanks in advance

Relevancy 58.05%

Hi Everyone,
I am hoping that someone can help me with a situation involving the iTunes libraries of my two children. One has a pretty hefty-sized one and the other will be getting an Ipod for Christmas, so I expect his will grow to good size relatively quickly. I have a computer that has a 40GB HD, not nearly enough for the kids and my wife that use it. I have added an external 1TB drive and have copied my daughter's library to it. I believe I have correctly mapped iTunes to the library on the external drive, but iTunes does not populate itself with the content in library. I have struggled with this for hours and hours, even uninstalling/re-installing iTunes multiple times, re-mapping it to the external library to try to get it to "recognize" it. Unfortunately, nothing has worked. Can anyone help me? I would pretty much need step-by-step instructions.
Thanks very much.

Relevancy 58.05%

I had a hard drive failure a few weeks ago so I lost all my files there. My iPhone is currently synced in the iTunes Library of that PC but since my hard drive got broken, now it's lost. I want to put new songs on my iPhone but I can't because it's not synced in the iTunes Library of my laptop. So that means I really need to delete all the stuff again since that's needed in order to sync it to a new library?

A:iTunes Library

Welcome to Seven Forums crusher25. See if this will help you.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3141

A Guy

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/232394-itunes-library.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I have a bloated iTunes library under El Capitan recent version of iTunes. I need to dedupe and properly name the tracks. Anyone know of a program besides TuneUpMedia?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fix-mac-itunes-library.1163393/
Relevancy 58.05%

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question, so please let me know if I should repost elsewhere.

iTunes has been asking me to update it's software for a while now & regreatable, I finally caved and did it. Yes, there is some zippy new Genius function on it now, but my entire library is gone. I have sync'd the music that was on my ipod (3rd gen nano), but there was quite a bit of other music and a ton of podcasts in my itunes library.

On my hard drive, I can still see all the folders of all the music and podcasts in my iTunes directory. However, the library folders are all empty.

Is there a way to get the files from all the folders to the appropriate Library folder?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/itunes-library-292277.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I am hoping someone can guide me through a process. I had my hard drive partitioned (recommended by many people to me). However...since I have had this done... iTunes no longer works. At all. I have uninstalled and reinstalled. Tried moving my music files to partition "C" where iTunes was being directed and it said Unable to run this program. NOW a lot of the music I have on my computer is in the iTunes format and I cannot use it in Windows Media Player. Anyone have an answer for me as to what I can do about this??

Thanks!

Relevancy 57.19%

Hi,
My old lap top crashed so I took out the hard drive and put it in an external usb case. I would like to delete everything off of it from my old computer and have a clean hard drive but am not sure how to go about doing this. Is it ok to just simply delete everything? Or is there a process I need to go through? I have tried searching this on google and can't find much helpful information. Any help would be great thanks

-Danielle

A:Turning old hard drive into external hard drive

if you want to wipe everything then right click on the drive and format it. it may tell you to format it when you plug it in but if not then to wipe everything right click on the drive and format it. it should show under the hard drives list

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/turning-old-hard-drive-into-external-hard-drive.1003257/
Relevancy 57.19%

I'm looking into purchasing a hard drive enclosure/external hard drive...

What's the difference? I have three spare hard drives here; two are clearly marked IDE; and another one that looks like it's probably IDE. But in the stores they have 2.5inch and 3.5inch. what's the difference?

I measured one of the drives, and the "front" side of it is like 4 inches...or is the 2.5/3.5 the diameter of the physical "disk" inside of the enclosure?

Relevancy 57.19%

When i try to backup my files using windows 7 backup function i get an error message at the very end, usually an hour or more, that says the backup yo my external hard drive was unsuccessful because a file on the C drive could not be found? I've tried for the past 2 weeks and the same thing happens over and over again.

A:backup of hard drive to external hard drive

With a lot of external hard drives, they are unfortunately formatted as FAT32 for compatibility with other OS's and systems. FAT32 cannot handle a single file over 4GB

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/backup-of-hard-drive-to-external-hard-drive.1150960/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi I have Windows XP Last week my internal hard drive had a mechanical failure and had to be replaced I have a Memorex aka Imation external hard drive that I used to back up my files The first back up I ever did was a full back up of all programs and files and since then I have backed up incrementally Once my new hard drive was installed and operating system etc restored I plugged in my external hard drive drive from hard Restore hard external drive and tried to restore my files I started with the folder from my first back up and clicked Quick Restore I followed the instructions and it appeared to be restoring my files but at the end of the process there was no visible difference I tried restarting my computer but again no change to the hard drive content My external hard drive came with a brochure but it only talks about how to back up files not how to restore them What am I doing wrong Cheers Bec nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restore-hard-drive-from-external-hard-drive.723849/
Relevancy 57.19%

I am looking to buy a new hard drive to store data (mostly games and pictures). But I'm not sure which type of hard drive to buy. Could you please help I want to be able to transfer the data to my laptop also.

Relevancy 57.19%

I have a very straightforward question I am running WinXP Pro drive NTFS? a read VISTA format drive,or have I to to the hard FAT32 external will do on my computer and I just got an external USB hard-drive to back up my data before I upgrade to VISTA My internal hard drive is NTFS file system and the external drive is FAT My data backed-up perfectly However I understand that VISTA is NTFS only for the drive that it s installed on which in my case will be the internal drive I will be installing the VISTA OS on the internal drive and using the external drive solely will VISTA read a FAT32 external hard drive,or do I have to format the drive to NTFS? for backing up data I don t want to back up my data externally upgrade my PC to VISTA and then discover that I can t access the data on the external drive Here s my only question will VISTA work with a FAT external drive or do I have to convert that external drive to NTFS before I attempt to connect it to VISTA awaiting your replies - I ll appreciate all the help I can get nbsp

A:will VISTA read a FAT32 external hard drive,or do I have to format the drive to NTFS?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/will-vista-read-a-fat32-external-hard-drive-or-do-i-have-to-format-the-drive-to-ntfs.584903/
Relevancy 57.19%

I have a Samsung s2 1tb external hard drive.

Today when I hooked it up to my laptop it would not load. It will shows local F drive when it usually will say samsung Drive.

A pop up box will then appear stating "you need to format drive"

I know if I reformat it I will lose all my data which I will not do.

When I look in device manager it states that the external hard drive is installed.

I attempted to go through start menu and type cmd then F: and it states "The volume does not recognize this system file. Please make sure all required system drivers are loaded and the volume is not corrupted."

PLEASE HELP I DONT WANT TO LOSE ALL MY FILES

A:Samsung s2 external hard drive not loading showing local disk F drive

With the external drive connected, Go to Disk Management (Start > type: "computer" > click on Computer Management > click on Disk Management)

Determine which disk is the external drive.
If the external drive shows here as a healthy volume, Right click on the large box to the right of the "Disk 1" / "Disk 2" lable and choose: Change Drive Letter and Path.

If there is nothing but a grey box or "Unallocated Space" next to the disk number then Right click on the disk number (the box) and choose: Change Drive Letter and Path.

Change the drive letter to anything else > OK.

If you can't do any of the above post back. If you can post a screen shot of the Disk Management window that can help.
Do not initialize the disk or format it or you will lose your data.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/209492-samsung-s2-external-hard-drive-not-loading-showing-local-disk-f-drive.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I have a USB external hard drive that I keep all my documents etc on had it change Hard Drive back - Letter - to External Drive unable changed for years I upgraded from Vista Home to amp Home Premium then had to upgrade recently to Professional to run my Sage Through all these upgrades my ext drive ran fine Occasionally the drvie letter would change if I had something else plugged into the USB this was External Hard Drive - Drive Letter changed - unable to change back always easily corected in disk management by changing the drive path The connection on the case packed up so I had to get the External Hard Drive - Drive Letter changed - unable to change back drive put into a new case now when I plug it in the drive is assigned G instead of F I tried to change the drive letter allocation in Disk Management but it won't let me as the program still thinks I have a second ext hard drive which is labelled F I suspect this has happened because when the usb connection broke the drive was disconnected suddenly instead of a proper eject How do I get Disk Management to remove the inactive drive - i can't find any obvious way - eject delete etc are all missing when I click on tools or tasks If there is no easy way then how do I stop program updates for Adobe etc failing because they can not find the F drive I don't know why they look at that drive anyway Help

A:External Hard Drive - Drive Letter changed - unable to change back

Hi PAMDILL,

Welcome aboard.

Try this:

Download drivecleanup.zip V 0.8.1 from

Drive Tools for Windows

Unzip to a folder. In it you will have two folders Win32 and x64, each containing DriveCleanup.exe for Windows 32bit and 64 bit respectively.

Now unplug all the USB devices from your PC (except of course the Keyboard and mouse), right click on the appropriate DriveCleanup.exe for your system and run it as an administrator.

This will remove all non-present drives from the registry.

Reboot and then plug-in your external drive.

The drive will be installed and hopefully you should be able to assign any free drive letter to it.

Please report whether it resolved your problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/248054-external-hard-drive-drive-letter-changed-unable-change-back.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I am thinking about moving my itunes library from my laptop to my external hard drive. I know I can't listen to music on my computer without the hard drive but that is OK. How do I properly do this?

Relevancy 57.19%

Ever since I installed an SSD some time ago, I've been having issues with the iTunes library.

I moved my entire library to a new external, however all of the library files within the Music\iTunes folder says in the original location! If I delete them, then iTunes displays no music. When I try to delete it while running iTunes, it says the files are in use, so obviously iTunes is still using them.

I already moved everything (music files) into another folder and saved it in the preferences, its just these darned files!

Attached are the files still in the original folder

Relevancy 57.19%

I have a bit of a problem when trying to move my iTunes library.

The first thing I did was copy the iTunes folder to my second hard drive, and after that I changed my library location in the advanced setting of iTunes to the new location.

I then moved one song out of my old iTunes folder to my desktop. When I tried to play that song in iTunes it said it could not find the file.

What did I do wrong? iTunes should be getting the music from the new destination.

Thanks for all your help.

A:Moving My iTunes Library

iTunes for Windows: Moving your iTunes Music folder

If you lost your music and still have it on the Ipod...you can load the Ipod and get the music back

If you made an error ...sorry to say ...but many times the music is gone

Note: If you move your library to an external drive, you'll need to power up and connect the drive before starting iTunes. If you don't, iTunes will prompt you to either locate the library or to create a new library (which will result in an empty library). No matter what, it's always a good idea to have a backup of the media you have in iTunes.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/moving-my-itunes-library-388825.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I get this annoying message in iTunes, The iTunes Library Cannot Be Saved. It will pop up at random times but mainly when I minimize it. I tried completely un-installing, deleting all folder related to it, running ccleaner, then re-installing but with no luck.

A:The iTunes Library Cannot Be Saved?

Hi there, create a new user account with admin rights and then install itunes. It should work.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/65656-itunes-library-cannot-saved.html