Windows Support Forum

Windows update stuck at downloading updates screen

Q: Windows update stuck at downloading updates screen

Yesterday when I started downloading windows update, only one update could be downloaded i. KB3114431. After that may be there was some sort of problem on the network and I could not download the other updates as my network was down at that time. so I disconnected from network and cancelled the downloads and shut down the computer. It normally installed the downloaded update. after that from today morning I am unable to download any updates. The network is fine, as I can browse the internet normally. But windows update screen keeps stuck at 0%. Though now the shut down button shows the alert icon for update installation as you can see in screenshot. Is there any way to fix it? Thank you.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Windows update stuck at downloading updates screen

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Windows update stuck at downloading updates screen

The problem has been resolved automatically. Thank you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/599869/windows-update-stuck-at-downloading-updates-screen/
Relevancy 97.61%

please help with specify;thanks;Everytime I start windows update it won't download the updates. The bar keeps on running but nothing downloads and the percentage stays at 0%.
Whats wrong? Anything I can do to fix this?

A:Windows update will not download updates - stuck at 0% downloading

Hi shawn What version of Windows are you using?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/618661/windows-update-will-not-download-updates-stuck-at-0-downloading/
Relevancy 80.84%

This issue started this past Saturday Dec Per Windows Update Posting instructions Downloaded SURT When first tried to download SURT on Saturday it would not download But when tried again yesterday Sun Dec - it was successful However although it said the installation and 0% Windows at 7 Downloading stuck Updates-Checking of was successful and it showed up in Update History it did NOT show up in Installed Updates I tried it twice SFC Scan I read about doing this on other websites as well The first time I ran it it came back with the message that it fixed errors The nd time I ran it the results were no violations and when I ran Windows 7 Updates-Checking and Downloading stuck at 0% it a rd time which the attached CBS log is from it also had no errors Windows Update Error Codes The biggest problem is the check Windows 7 Updates-Checking and Downloading stuck at 0% updates Windows 7 Updates-Checking and Downloading stuck at 0% or the downloading updates just don't go anywhere I did get an error message when I tried to download SURT as mentioned above but I was able to get it downloaded yesterday The other error code I got was when I did a System Restore Point It came back with the xc code and said it didn't restore the system But it must have because the Update information was different and reflected the date of the restore points Plus any changes I had done were gone and reflected the date of the restore points And the other error code was from the Diagnostic Tool from the help feature in Windows I think it was the error that it said it couldn't fix It did list some other issues that it said it fixed but I did not write it down or get a screenshot I could run that tool again if needed to verify Log Collection I was not able to attach the CBS log - I tried times and each time received a server error And then realized it's because of file size Even my zip file is just too big Please advise on how to get the information Start New Thread Hopefully I did that correctly I spent quite a bit of time trying various other things - such as the restore points clean disk and I also did a Checkdisk from the cmd prompt I did foray into a slight addition to the registry from a suggestion from another website but ended up deleting it because I didn't think it fixed anything at all and I don't like messing with the registry I did a system restore point after that I also did the SoftwareDistribution folder thing that is mentioned on many websites but that didn't help either I did try the start and stop services from cmd prompt as well with no change either Currently my workaround is copying the updates from the Update Catalog and installing them one by one manually Obviously that is quite time consuming and as I did get months behind will take awhile to get through them all Plus I am concerned about the order I am doing the oldest first and also worried about making a mistake and or missing some So far I've managed to get installed and have verified they are showing up in Installed Updates I also ran the Fixit and the other diagnostic tool recommended on the MS websites The Fixit tool didn't seem to do anything at all and the other tool returned the error code mentioned above I also called my AV company AVG Internet Security and had them do a disable AV with me over the phone and attempted to download updates There wasn't any change I also disabled the AV again yesterday and there was no difference I have done full computer scans for viruses with no issues reported I greatly appreciate any and all assistance to get this resolved and thank you in advance for your time Regards Hank

A:Windows 7 Updates-Checking and Downloading stuck at 0%

I went online to try again tonight and it appears that the Updates are working. I don't know how or why but I'm now thinking it was more of an overloaded server than anything else.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/387673-windows-7-updates-checking-downloading-stuck-0-a.html
Relevancy 80.84%

This has never happened before but I can't download the latest batch of updates! I've tried downloading one at a time but it makes no difference, just stuck on downloading 0%. I've tried to go into services.msc to switch off windows updates but it says 'stopping' with the options to stop/re-start greyed out.

I've tried the windows trouble shooter which detects problems and then says resolving but again after 20 minutes or so it still says the same thing. Does it take a long time (perhaps I'm being impatient)?

I've run out of time tonight but will try the windows update system readiness tool tomorrow.

In the meantime, does anyone have ideas I could try? As I say, I've never had problems downloading updates before.

LevelBest

A:Latest windows updates stuck on downloading at 0%

You mean, it's searching for updates, takes a while, finds the updates, but when you select to install, it takes forever to download?

If that's the case, how long did you wait for it to start downloading before cancelling?

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/397423-latest-windows-updates-stuck-downloading-0-a.html
Relevancy 79.98%

During a busy period, aware that Windows 10 can install itself by a sneaky update and being too busy to check each update that comes my way, I had disabled Windows Update. Only now did I remember to check for updates. I know, dumb.
There are 80 important updates that need to be installed. They all seem okay.

However, they've been downloading for over 90 minutes now, and the progress bar is still stuck at 0%. "Downloading 80 Updates (0 KB Total, 0% Complete)".

I thought these updates might solve my "slow PC issue" (referred to in my other thread), but the inability to download updates, makes me think there might be something seriously wrong with my computer.

Can it still be just a visual issue if nothing has happened after waiting for 90 minutes?
Thanks in advance,
Katarn1
This has been posted twice (?) I don't know how that has happened. Sorry. If you can tell me how to delete it, I will.

A:Downloading Windows Updates, Stuck at 0%; or a False Alarm (?)

You can Shut Down your computer and install updates.
Or you can download the Windows 7 Update Convenience rollup. Microsoft Update Catalog
As for your Slow computer, you did not paste a link to your other post, and your post history does not show anything about a slow computer.
Click on the link in my signature for PC Running Slow? and try those things.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/downloading-windows-updates-stuck-at-0-or-a-false-alarm-1123762.html
Relevancy 78.26%

As the title says, I have problems with Windows Update. I tried some fixes like: Reset_Reregister_Windows_Update_Components, Reset_Windows_Update_History, MicrosoftFixit50362 (which is a Microsoft Installer Fixer that couldn't install PowerShell), MicrosoftFixit50202. But what I really need is installing .NET Framework 4. I tried forcing it to install, installing it step by step, but it couldn't go further than .NET Framework 3.5. I need that Framework, the other updates don't really matter. And the interesting thing is that my antivirus doesn't say that Windows is not up-to-date, which is not normal, in ESET Smart Security, if Windows is not up-to-date.
If specs matter:
6 GB RAM
AMD Athlon ll X4 750K
AMD Radeon R7 240 4GB GDDR3
Vista SP2

cbs.txt:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/jsoeje0nxt30g5u/cbs.txt

I don't know how to obtain CheckSUR.log.

A:Windows Update stuck at Checking for Updates and can't install Updates manually

Hi antoniu200:

Many other Vista users have reported that Windows Update seems to get stuck at "Checking for updates..." for long periods of time, and this problem dates back to the August 2015 Patch Tuesday updates - see my screenshots in ScousaJAY's thread windows update just seems to hang while checking in the VistaForums. This month's December 2015 Patch Tuesday updates required a full hour on my machine before it finished the  "Checking for updates..." phase and finally presented a list of available updates, so you might want to try running a manual Windows Update and leaving your computer alone for an hour or so to see if it eventually runs to completion.

You might also want to read Nikilet's recent thread Updates were not configured correctly in that same forum.  Some Vista users, including myself, received an error message this month stating "Updates were not configured correctly. Reverting changes. Please do not turn off your computer" when they tried to install the December 2015 Patch Tuesday updates.  Six updates for the Vista OS and one cumulative update for IE9 were marked as "Failed" on my machine after Windows forced an automatic rollback and re-boot of my machine.  I re-ran Windows Update today and all Important updates that failed yesterday eventually installed successfully ("Checking for updates..." still took about one hour and I declined one Recommended update KB3112148 for Vista and one Optional update KB3106614 for Silverlight today) so the secret might be to install updates in smaller batches instead of trying to install all dozen or so available updates in a single update session.
-------------32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v42.0 * IE9 * NIS (2014) v21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium v2.2.0
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo [email protected] GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/598963/windows-update-stuck-at-checking-for-updates-and-cant-install-updates-manually/
Relevancy 77.83%

after an update version aka new windows 10 version, i check my window update , and its stuck.
on downloading 0 %. already check windows update servicing, sfc, trouble shooting, dism, nothing works for me..
a help pls?

A:Windows Update stuck at downloading

Hi,

what type of connection do you use to access the Internet - mobile broadband (cellular), WiFi or Ethernet?

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/58709-windows-update-stuck-downloading.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Trying to upgrade from windows to The reserve icon was not on the taskbar went to windows update 0% Windows at stuck downloading Update found out I had important updates which will not download when I try Also update and support programs from samsung will not open Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST x Version - - Ran by Johnson administrator on JOHNSON-PC - - Running from C Users Johnson Downloads Loaded Profiles Windows Update stuck at 0% downloading Johnson amp Available Profiles Johnson amp Mcx -JOHNSON-PC Platform Windows Home Premium X Language English United States Internet Explorer Version Default browser Chrome Boot Mode Normal Tutorial for Farbar Recovery Scan Tool http www geekstogo com forum topic -frst-tutorial-how-to-use-farbar-recovery-scan-tool Processes Whitelisted If an entry is included in the fixlist the process will be closed The file will not be moved Microsoft Corporation C Program Files Microsoft Security Client MsMpEng exe Apple Inc C Program Files x Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe Apple Inc C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe Windows Update stuck at 0% downloading Realtek Semiconductor C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RAVCpl exe Synaptics Incorporated C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe Alcatel-Lucent C Program Files BT Broadband Desktop Help btbb BTHelpNotifier exe Microsoft Corporation C Program Files Microsoft Security Client msseces exe Intel Corporation C Windows System hkcmd exe Intel Corporation C Windows System igfxpers exe McAfee Inc C Program Files x McAfee Security Scan SSScheduler exe Hewlett-Packard C Program Files x HP HP Software Update hpwuschd exe PC Tools C Program Files x Common Files PC Tools sMonitor SSDMonitor exe Alcatel-Lucent C Program Files x Common Files Motive pcContextHookShim exe Apple Inc C Program Files x iTunes iTunesHelper exe Samsung Electronics Co Ltd C Program Files x Samsung Easy Display Manager dmhkcore exe Piriform Ltd C Program Files CCleaner CCleaner exe Intel Corporation C Windows System igfxext exe Intel Corporation C Windows System igfxsrvc exe Symantec Corporation C Program Files x Symantec Norton Online Backup NOBuAgent exe Alcatel-Lucent C Program Files x Common Files Motive pcCMService exe Alcatel-Lucent C Program Files Common Files Motive pcCMService exe PC Tools C Program Files x Common Files PC Tools sMonitor StartManSvc exe Microsoft Corp C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSVC EXE Microsoft Corporation C Windows Microsoft NET Framework v SMSvcHost exe Microsoft Corp C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSVCM EXE Microsoft Corporation C Program Files Microsoft Security Client NisSrv exe Apple Inc C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe Samsung Electronics Co Ltd C Program Files x Samsung EasySpeedUpManager EasySpeedUpManager exe Synaptics Incorporated C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPHelper exe Malwarebytes Corporation C Program Files x Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbam exe SEC C Program Files x Samsung Samsung Recovery Solution WCScheduler exe SAMSUNG Electronics C Program Files x Samsung Samsung Support Center SSCKbdHk exe Google Inc C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Google Inc C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Google Inc C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Google Inc C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Malwarebytes Corporation C Program Files x Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamservice exe Malwarebytes Corporation C Program Files x Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamscheduler exe Google Inc C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Google Inc C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Google Inc C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Google Inc C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Microsoft Corporation C Program Files Microsoft Security Client MpCmdRun exe Registry Whitelisted If an entry is included in ... Read more

A:Windows Update stuck at 0% downloading

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.===If present remove this program in bold using the Add/Remove Program applet.Iminent (x32 Version: 6.46.1.0 - Iminent) Hidden <==== ATTENTIONPress the windows key + r on your keyboard at the same time. This will open the RUN BOX.Type Notepad and and click the OK key.Please copy the entire contents of the code box below to the a new file.

start

CreateRestorePoint:
EmptyTemp:
CloseProcesses:

HKLM-x32\...\Run: [mobilegeni daemon] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Mobogenie\DaemonProcess.exe
Winlogon\Notify\GoToAssist: C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\GoToAssist\570\G2AWinLogon_x64.dll [X]
HKLM\...D6A79037F57F\InprocServer32: [Default-fastprox] fastprox.dllATTENTION! ====> ZeroAccess?
HKU\S-1-5-18-{ED1FC765-E35E-4C3D-BF15-2C2B11260CE4}-0\...\RunOnce: [SpUninstallDeleteDir] => rmdir /s /q "C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\SearchProtect"
HKU\S-1-5-18\...\RunOnce: [SpUninstallDeleteDir] => rmdir /s /q "C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\SearchProtect"
ShortcutTarget: tcbhn.lnk -> C:\Users\Johnson\AppData\Roaming\BrowserCompanion\tcbhn.exe (No File)
CHR HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google: Policy restriction <======= ATTENTION
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer: Policy restriction <======= ATTENTION
HKU\S-1-5-21-1964744218-1090075281-1278556077-1001\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer: Policy restriction <======= ATTENTION
HKU\S-1-5-21-1964744218-1090075281-1278556077-1001-{ED1FC765-E35E-4C3D-BF15-2C2B11260CE4}-0\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer: Policy restriction <======= ATTENTION
SearchScopes: HKLM -> DefaultScope {9BB47C17-9C68-4BB3-B188-DD9AF0FD21} URL = hxxp://search.imesh.com//web?src=ieb&appid=233&systemid=1&sr=0&q={searchTerms}
SearchScopes: HKLM -> {9BB47C17-9C68-4BB3-B188-DD9AF0FD21} URL = hxxp://search.imesh.com//web?src=ieb&appid=233&systemid=1&sr=0&q={searchTerms}
SearchScopes: HKLM -> {9BB47C17-9C68-4BB3-B188-DD9AF0FD2406} URL = hxxp://dts.search-results.com/sr?src=ieb&appid=102&systemid=406&sr=0&q={searchTerms}
SearchScopes: HKLM-x32 -> DefaultScope value is missing
SearchScopes: HKLM-x32 -> {9BB47C17-9C68-4BB3-B188-DD9AF0FD21} URL = hxxp://search.certified-toolbar.com?si=41179&bs=true&tid=397&q={searchTerms}
SearchScopes: HKLM-x32 -> {9BB47C17-9C68-4BB3-B188-DD9AF0FD2406} URL = hxxp://dts.search-results.com/sr?src=ieb&appid=102&systemid=406&sr=0&q={searchTerms}
SearchScopes: HKLM-x32 -> {afdbddaa-5d3f-42ee-b79c-185a7020515b} URL = hxxp://search.imesh.com//web?src=ieb&appid=233&systemid=1&sr=0&q={searchTerms}
SearchScopes: HKU\S-1-5-21-1964744218-1090075281-1278556077-1001 -> {1D32D3B1-F17B-4A58-A16E-08256D17CF6F} URL = hxxp://websearch.ask.com/redirect?client=ie&tb=ORJ&o=100000027&src=crm&q={searchTerms}&locale=en_UK&apn_ptnrs=U3&apn_dtid=OSJ000YYGB&apn_uid=6027BB5D-A4A3-4B1B-AA7F-401E09A54F2B&apn_sauid=84B0E9BF-ACF8-4DC7-B6CA-D9260CF19CDB&
SearchScopes: HKU\S-1-5-21-1964744218-1090075281-1278556077-1001 -> {9BB47C17-9C68-4BB3-B188-DD9AF0FD2406} URL = hxxp://dts.search-results.com/sr?src=ieb&appid=102&systemid=406&q={searchTerms}
SearchScopes: HKU\S-1-5-21-1964744218-1090075281-1278556077-1001-{ED1FC765-E35E-4C3D-BF15-2C2B11260CE4}-0 -> {1D32D3B1-F17B-4A58-A16E-08256D17CF6F} URL = hxxp://websearch.ask.com/redirect?client=ie&tb=ORJ&o=100000027&src=crm&q={searchTerms}&locale=en_UK&apn_ptnrs=U3&apn_dtid=OSJ000YYGB&apn_uid=6027BB5D-A4A3-4B1B-AA7F-401E09A54F2B&apn_sauid=84B0E9BF-ACF8-4DC7-B6CA-D9260CF19CDB&
SearchScopes: HKU\S-1-5-21-1964744218-1090075281-1278556077-1001-{E... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/590109/windows-update-stuck-at-0-downloading/
Relevancy 77.83%

i cant get anny further than 0 kb 0% when downloading the latest updates i did a clean instal but no sucess
still 90 essential updates to go ran it over a night and not even 1kb furter

A:Windows Update Stuck at downloading

Try disconnecting your PC from the internet>close Windows Update>reopen windows update and see if an install (not download) button is showing and click it. Then reboot and start downloading the next batch. Sometimes Windows needs to install what it has before it can download and install the rest. You might have to do this a couple of times. Windows also (like recently) has to update Windows Update before it can further download.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/65449-windows-update-stuck-downloading.html
Relevancy 77.4%

I think the "updates freezing" issue has come up in another thread and apologies if it has, but I can't find it momentarily.

The screen shots show what I've been looking at for two days now. Obviously something is amiss with Automatic Update but I dunno what, or what to do about it.

Any advice, help????

Mods, please feel free to move me to the other thread I suspect exists.

Cheers

ausgumbie

A:Windows Updates - Stuck on "Downloading updates 37%" for 2 days!

G'day mate!

Have a look here.

Windows Update stuck downloading updates in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/18005-windows-updates-stuck-downloading-updates-37-2-days.html
Relevancy 76.97%

I have spent many days trying to get a handle about what is the behavior of Windows Update process when it hangs Downloading at I have looked through many of the threads on this problem to see if there is a pattern to the failures or a solution that works for many people Even though it is stated not to try what others have done in other posts I have done some of these I have also gone above this and tried analyze what the system is doing when in this state I have some results but no answers The issues I'm having may be unique to my setup but I hope my results are helpful to the larger Windows community Based on the results of my testing I am approaching the opinion that this problem of Windows Update hanging is percipitated by one or more of the following M doesn't care that update is fatally broken and won't fix it The engineers currently working on this at M are totally incompetent in about Downloading Another Windows at 0% stuck Update thread their ability to fix it M is deliberately sabataging Windows and Window in order to force everybody to update to Windows Background The system I'm running my Another thread about Windows Update stuck at Downloading 0% lastest tests on is a HP Elitebook P It is built with a Core Duo T with GB RAM Installed is Win Pro x Another system that is exhibiting the problem is a Dell Optiplex running a Core Duo E with GB RAM on Windows Pro x A third system I'm using is built on an Asus motherboard running a Core i CPU with GB Ram running Win Pro x I know these are ancient systems I'm working on upgrading the i system now For some reason the windows update is not hanging on the i system I don't know why at this point What I have done to solve this I ran the SURT and SFC Scan multiple times The SURT did find errors and fixed most of them if the specific errors are needed I'll have to rerun the tests After the SURT is run it takes about hours to complete the check for new updates After running the SURT what tends to happen is the first time I try to install updates a few the updates install in less than minutes When I restart and try to install more updates the Update window hangs at for about hours and then they install successfully I have manually reset the update client by using the process where you delete the files in the SoftwareDistribution folder Again when I run Windows Update it will take hours 'Checking for updates' Then the first time I run Windows update I can install a few updates in less than minutes The second time Windows Update will be stuck downloading at and will take about hours to complete the updates For the nuclear option I completely reinstalled my HP system from a base Windows CD which didn't have SP After the initial install the only software I installed was Firefox and Wireshark a The initial install went normally I was able to install all updates that were pending prior to SP without any lengthy delay b I installed the service Pack update This update installed with no apparent issues c After the install of SP I was prompted to install the latest Windows Update Clent This is where all went to h--- d After installing the new client the first time I installed some NET updates I was able to install them without delay The second time it took hours to check for updates Then another hours to install the x NET updates e I then attempted some Security updates and again it took over hours to install the updates During the next run of Security Updates I fired up Process Monitor Here is some of what I found there may be other relevant data I haven't found yet After filtering out all non-related processes I find something extremely interesting After an initial flurry of activity the svchost exe process and process tree gets into a loop where it is playing with itself and where the most of the activity visible is repeatedly reading one or two areas of the Registry The following events occur for the most of the hours Code quot Time of Day quot quot Process Name quot quot PID quot quot ... Read more

A:Another thread about Windows Update stuck at Downloading 0%

Hi John,
The simple answer is MS doesn't want users on W7 any more.
We just have to put up with this situation.
However they say, IF you you want to believe them, that they are in the process of addressing the slow D/L and install of updates for us.

we just have to live with it

note the comp you have with 2Gb ram will allways suffer, thats the min for W7.

Must admit having looked at an awfull lot of windows update logs cant remember seeing those entries

Roy

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/394502-another-thread-about-windows-update-stuck-downloading-0-a.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hey guys,

So basically, I ran windows update on my PC (I recently made a fresh install), it started downloading very slowly ; until it reached 25% where it's been at for 30 minutes. I tried stopping the download and selecting another update, to see if it was just one update that wouldn't download, but I had the same result :

Windows update was just stuck downloading.

EDIT: screen of the updates in question :
I tried to stop the firewall in ESET Smart Security; nothing. I tried the Fixit tools (.exe and .cab versions), nothing. (except that the .cab version is just stuck too).

Has that happened to any of you guys before?

I had problems yesterday with windows update (BSOD while installing updates), and it just wrecked my computer, and I had to restore to factory settings. But that can't be related?

A:Windows Update service stuck in downloading

Update : I tried to reboot, and got stuck on "windows is preparing your computer blablabla". So I hard rebooted, logged in, and now the windows update service doesn't show up any longer, I can't run anything because the UAC prompt is gone (I can't do anything that requires admin privileges)...
Fml

I am currently restoring my computer using the windows restore option... And it's stuck on "restoring your files".

So if it doesn't work out, I'll have to factory reset my computer for the third time in two days.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/338125-windows-update-service-stuck-downloading.html
Relevancy 76.54%

I'm currently on holiday and am connected through an expensive 3G modem plan. Whenever I try to connect, Windows update starts to download files. Every now and then I need to update MSE virus defs but Windows update downloads files GRR! What do I do about this pest? I just disabled the windows update service which obviously prevented me from downloading MSE defs

A:How to stop Windows update from downloading updates when I update MSE

Have you tried setting Windows Update to not Download updates?
You could also set it to not check for updates while you are on holiday.
For MSE definitions, open MSE and update from there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/241793-how-stop-windows-update-downloading-updates-when-i-update-mse.html
Relevancy 75.68%

I noticed last night that Windows Update had 55 updates to download.  Upon further inspection, it said updates were last downloaded sometime in November.

I have run the Windows Update Troubleshooting; it resolved some items, but not others (forgot to take a screenshot).  Now Windows Update says I have never even checked for updates.

Following the advice on other threads, I selected only 2 of the updates, then let it run overnight.  I woke up this morning to ZERO percent complete.  Ugh.

I'm able to view pages on Internet Explorer and Chrome without issue, and MalwareBytes was able to update just fine.  What next?

A:Windows Update not downloading updates

Download the Windows Update Readiness Tool and run it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612719/windows-update-not-downloading-updates/
Relevancy 75.68%

Windows Update says it's Downloading Updates. It has said that more than 30 minutes ago. And it's still 0 KB total, 0% complete. What's going on?

A:Windows Update says downloading updates but 0% after 1hr.

If you have a slow internet connection and/or you have just done a clean install and there are many updates to download, you'll just have to be patient. For example, I just did a recent clean install of Windows 8.0 and there were 62 updates to download. I'd wait a bit more and see what happens if any of my previous assumption apply.

Good luck.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/33997-windows-update-says-downloading-updates-but-0-after-1hr.html
Relevancy 74.82%

Hello,

My windows update has not been downloading/installing anything for a few weeks now, and is always using about 25 percent of my CPU. I just did a SCF scan and here are the results. It did say something was corrupt.

Here is the Log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8j7lt40rcbebvm4/CBS.zip?dl=0
EDIT: I no longer have a problem. I was doing a bunch of things and then finally noticed that shutdown button had that little symbol that said it would install updates. I guess the reason why my WU download was always at 0kb was because the files were all there.

No more problems, however the scan still said something was corrupt, i would really appreciate it if someone looked through and see what i'm missing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/400337-windows-update-not-downloading-installing-updates-always-using-25-cpu.html
Relevancy 74.82%

Hi guys

There seems to be a problem with my windows update. It downloads the necessary updates with no problem but as soon as it start to install it, it gives me a failed message. No error codes nothing, just failed. Did anyone experience this and know what the solution could be?

(See the attached image for the error.)

PS: It's not only the case with SP3 it happened even before SP3 was released.

Thanks

A:Windows update fails after downloading updates.

Try Re-registering the Windows Update DLL with the commands below

Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
Type or copy and paste the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 atl.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 msxml3.dll
regsvr32 msxml2.dll
regsvr32 qmgr.dll
regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-update-fails-after-downloading-updates.720767/
Relevancy 73.96%

Just did a clean install of Win 7 SP1 and started windows update- but it just hangs there- with the green light going across the screen- i know this happened when I had win7 before i upgraded to 10. Did MS change the way they do this? In the past- when I would restart the computer it would say-Don't turn of your computer- windows is installing updates- What's going on?

A:Windows update not downloading updates- clean install Win 7

Try again, please.

What version of IE is installed?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/591282/windows-update-not-downloading-updates-clean-install-win-7/
Relevancy 73.53%

Windows Update has become erratic, currently gets stuck in the "looking for updates" phase. I have followed the instructions on this forum titled "Windows Update Posting Instructions." Ran the SURT with no issues reported. The SFC scan came back clean as well. There are no error codes like the example shown, on the WU screen, but at one point there was a pop-up box (I believe in conjunction with Windows Update Standalone Installer) with error 0x8024001e which may or may not now be resolved. The MS Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool has not helped. Also along the way I was advised to install Hotfix for Windows KB947821, which I did. Compressed CBS file will not upload to this post because it is too large (about 6MB).

All this is way above my pay grade as a non-tech user, but I think I have followed the instructions correctly. Any wisdom greatly appreciated!

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/397173-windows-update-gets-stuck-looking-updates.html
Relevancy 73.53%

I have an issue with my Windows XP Pro being stuck on the SAME two updates!!! it ALWAYS says it successfully installed but ALWAYS tells me it needs to install those two updates again 20 minutes later!!! and the update progress says

"Installing Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 (KB2972105) (update 1 of 2)...

Installing Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 (KB2979574) (update 2 of 2)... "

but it HAS been installing those SAME TWO updates for a couple of months now, it SAYS it was successful EVERY TIME, but INSISTS that it install again!!! I DON'T even know if it actually installed!!!

please help me get this installed and/or get the message to go away if/after it is installed

A:Windows Update STUCK on SAME TWO updates!!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down....aspx?id=44313
Download Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 on Windows Server 2003 from Official Microsoft Download Center

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-update-stuck-on-same-two-updates-971009.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Had an issue with windows update, got technicians to have a crack at it over remote access and I think it was a case of too many cooks spoil the broth.
So many things done, and now windows update searches forever for updates or until battery runs out on laptop once unplugged from mains.

Any ideas?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2e443b44-0798-489d-9afa-150a803f61ce/after-an-error-downloading-updates-windows-update-ceases-to-function?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 73.1%

Hello everyone, Windows Update has been stuck at 0% every time I've tried in the last couple of days (see screenshot). These are the two updates available:
Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3103688).

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3105213).

A:Downloading updates stuck at 0%

Originally Posted by TomStrong

Hello everyone, Windows Update has been stuck at 0% every time I've tried in the last couple of days (see screenshot). These are the two updates available:
Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3103688).

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3105213).

Please run the Windows Update Troubleshooter:
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9830262
Please provide the exact details of any problem it reports as not fixed.

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/34487-downloading-updates-stuck-0-a.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Hey
So had to format my system yesterday,it usually takes around 2-3 hours for WU on"Checking for Updates" but this time it toke more than 12 hours to find them,when checked to start downloading them it wont download,it's been an hour now just " Downloading 246 updates(0 KB total,0% Complete)" is there any way to avoid this ? or is Microsoft that desperate ?

A:Downloading updates stuck at 0%

You are correct, MS is desperate, let it run overnight.

Roy

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/398771-downloading-updates-stuck-0-a.html
Relevancy 72.67%

hi everybody im having a really tough time trying to get updates for win7 windows update stays stuck on the checking for updates screen non stop without showing any signs of progress at all i have tried numerous fixes like renaming the software distribution and catroot2 folders as well as running batch files that completely reset all windows update components and cleans the update history completely to no avail. I have also tried restore points and have scanned for viruses and nothing comes up nothing seems to be working anyone have an ideas at this point i might have to do another clean reinstall which i really dont wana do

A:windows 7 update stuck at checking for updates

how are you trying to get the updates? if manually, what browser? did you try another browser? also try going into safemode with network and see if you can get the updates

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-update-stuck-at-checking-for-updates-782321.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Dear all,

my windows update on W10 is checking for updates forever. It seems to have stucked. How can I solve this, please?

Thank you in advance!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/windows-update-stuck-while-checking-for-updates-1045689.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Pic in use:
alienware17
32gb ddr3 ram
os on 256gb solid state
nvidia gtx 880m 8gb ddr5
intelcore i7 4970 Mqz 2.9ghz 4ghz 8 core

so I turned my pic off at about 1am last night and it said I had to update then shutdown which was fine, but it went straight to 58/ 174, and I left it on overnight and it was still like that now 7 hours later

please help!

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/71701-windows-8-1-stuck-updates-after-update-shutdown.html
Relevancy 72.67%

i can't check for any updates windows update always get stuck at and i tried most fixes on the internet like sfc dism , windows fix it tool , troubleshooting windows update. pls help i need to fix this so i can upgrade to windows 10

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/69301-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I have a for Update at stuck Checking Windows updates? Toshiba T D-S running Windows Home Premium version SP Build currently on my bench trying to Windows Update stuck at Checking for updates? work out extreme slow-downs for a friend While I have seemed to have solved the slow-down issues when running Windows Update it seems to just spin it's wheels indefinitely while quot Checking for updates quot I am running Windows Update from the system control panel not a browser I tried the steps detailed in this thread Windows Update - Reset running the third batch file as administrator restarting when it's done Did not resolve the issue I also tried running the Windows Diagnostic utility as described in that same thread and it did find and fix several problems but Windows Update still seems to sit checking for updates for hours never completing The HDD activity light does go on and off somewhat furiously during this time I did notice that there are very many failed updates in the update history list before running the BAT or Windows Diagnostic utility Windows Update stuck at Checking for updates? Any ideas How long should I typically let Windows Update run before giving up hope Any help would be appreciated I wasn't sure if it was better to post a new thread for this or post in the thread linked above figured a new thread made more sense Thanks

A:Windows Update stuck at Checking for updates?

> How long should I typically let Windows Update run before giving up hope?
Typically, 20 minutes.
Currently, 20+ hours.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/381529-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 72.67%

please help with specify;thanks;Everytime I start windows update it won't download the updates. The bar keeps on running but nothing downloads and the percentage stays at 0%.
Whats wrong? Anything I can do to fix this?

http://www.pchelpforum.com/pc-hardware/130106-windows-update-will-not-download-updates-stuck-0-dow.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I recently installed Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Previous operating system was Windows 10. When I run a Windows Update, it doesn't stop Checking for Updates. I left it for a 24 hour period yesterday, restarted, and then let it go over night again today.

When I was installing the Network Adapter driver, I received this message: Microsoft SNMP Service was not detected. You must install this service for the Advanced Server sub-agent to work properly. Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) is checked when I look at the Windows Features under Turn Windows features on or off in the Control Panel. The driver installation finished and I am able to make network connections. I am not sure if this is related to the Windows Update issue so I though I would mention it.

Thanks.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/402045-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 72.67%

this is not fixed by anything i've tried everywhere, i left the computer in question sit for 12+ HRS, and still checking for updates, and it will stay like that for days upon days if i let it, i don't know how to fix it, windows vista home basic sp2, i've even tried microsoft's fixit tool to no avail either, anything that will fix my problem is appreciated minus reinstalling, as i really don't want to.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-update-stuck-at-checking-for-updates.1168530/
Relevancy 72.67%

I have installed Windows 7 starter on my netbook. Now it's time to update

WU first said it had to update a component and seems it did correctly.

After each boot, WU says "Check for updates for this computer" (I have it set to check but not download them)
Windows Update is stuck at checking for updates, and while that, CPU usage remains at 50% with occasional spikes at 100% by svchost.

No error codes, SFC scannow returns OK, no log files, and no error codes as per the "Windows Update Posting Instructions" thread.
I have defragged, cleaned registry, reset Windows update as per the "Windows Update - Reset" thread, and waited for hours and hours.

I searched and can't get a clue some say to simply wait but I've waited too much.
What else can I do?

Thank you-

A:Windows Update stuck at checking for updates

Hi,
Well you can always close the update window and shut down or restart and see if that shakes it up
Resetting windows updates also removes any wifi or lan drivers that are loaded that I know of pretty much resets everything which there are hundreds of updates to display

You might check but reset also reset updates settings to default which is to download and install so you might double check that if you haven't already.

I've always gotten in a habit to use wired internet connections when checking for or loading updates.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/380021-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I have let the Windows Update running for more than 24 hours and still nothing to show to download the files from Windows Update for my desktop. I did ran through one program trying to fix Windows Update and got one problem. Here is below:

Windows Update error 0x80080005 ( 2016-11-07 - T_12_04_56P ) not fixed.

I am not sure what is that and won't be able to fix this problem.

Any idea to fix this problem so I will be able to run Windows Update.

Thank you,

John

A:Windows Update stuck at checking for updates

Also run Windows Update Troubleshooter as well but stuck at checking for updates online.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/402340-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 72.67%

earlier it was windows 10 updated from windows 7, recently i compolete new install windows 7 after installation i m not able to update this PC. always i am see Checking for updates so many time i restarted and trying to update no use. i even ren software
distribution folder and tried no use. 

Regards, K Suresh

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0ca42601-a340-4d34-9955-ce1bd4c049ea/windows-7-pro-not-able-to-update-stuck-at-checking-for-updates?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 72.67%

Windows update was stuck on checking for updates for about 24 hours.  When I got the updates I tried to download 14 updates.  They would not download. Ran update trouble shooter.  It fixed 3 issues but could not solve error 0x80070057. Lost all of the updates after ranning the fix it.   Now checking for updates again and taking forever.  Have 2 other laptops, not HP's, no problems with downloading or installing updates.  This forum was a great help to me in past.  Thank you.  I hope you can assist me again.

A:Windows update stuck on check for updates

Hi @Chassell,Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP Notebook and it having startup issues.  Try performing a Hard Reset.When performing a hard reset please note remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices.Here is a link to computer won't start for Windows.Plug the power adapter directly into a different wall outlet. Do not plug it into a power strip, surge protector, or secondary power source as this could cause and issue.Do you hear the Fans? If yes, try to connect a monitor to see what happens. Please let me know how this goes.You can say thanks for trying to help by clicking the Thumbs Up below!.Thanks. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Windows-update-stuck-on-check-for-updates/td-p/5595430
Relevancy 72.24%

My Windows 10 version 1511 is set to download and install updates automatically but this morning, the updates download got stuck at 0% for a long time. Even after a reboot, it would not budge.
Do you guys have the same problem here?

Maybe during the downloading of the updates, I had turned off my notebook, so would that have a negative effect on the way the updates are downloaded or in process of downloading?
So for example, next time if there is a Windows Update and the downloads are in progress, is it OK to turn off my machine while Windows 10 is downloading the patches or security updates?

The only way I could recover from this mess, is that I read these steps from the below link.
?www.thewindowsclub.com/w ??? -updates

But overall in general, the way Win10 handles these updates is a PURE MESS, and I hope in Redstone, this will be fixed.
I never had these issues in Win7...

A:Win10 Updates stuck downloading

I had a hard time updating my 10586 (1511) Version so I let it update and download over night. DON'T !! it also downloaded the "Feature update", meaning the anniversary update and tried to install that. I interrupted the update so Windows will be forced to go back to the 1511 Version.
Whenever a new cumulative update is available, I made it a habit to download it from the catalog:
Microsoft Update Catalog

that way I do not rely on the Windows update and can do that even disconnected from the web.. Has always worked for me...

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/63733-win10-updates-stuck-downloading.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi Everyone....

I have been struggling thru this Win 7 update hassle on my two Dell PCs both running Win 7 , 64 bit, SP1, Windows firewall, and Avast Free. In the past, updates just took a while, but eventually, they went thru OK.

Suddenly, after this week's updates, one of my PCs got stuck at 0% downloading 5 selected updates since Tuesday. The other PC updated properly with no problem.

I have left the system on for hours on end, but it is still 0%.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/400758-win-7-updates-stuck-downloading-three-days.html
Relevancy 71.81%

i just installed win 10 now I am runing win updates but the updates are stuck at 0% please help me fix this thank you

A:windows update stuck downloading windows 10

You need to post a LOT more info in order to help you.
Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact cpu, exact ram, etc, etc, etc. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact brand and model# If you have a service tag# post that as well.
i just installed win 10Click to expand...

What version?
Was this a clean install of 10 OR an upgrade from win8, 7, etc?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-update-stuck-downloading-windows-10.1171717/
Relevancy 71.81%

A friend gave me their Dell computer. It is 6 years old, and never been used. After downloading, and installing 103 windows updates, I restarted the computer. After it restarted, it only shows a blank screen. The computer is a Dell desktop. It is an Inspiron 530, and it is a windows Vista. Anybody know how I can fix it. I had the same problems with a Dell laptop, but I burned Xpud onto a CD, and then put the CD into the non working laptop. It works now.

Can I do the same thing I did with the laptop? Burn a program onto a CD, and then login from there? I'm using a Dell laptop to post this.It has Windows XP. I have a flash card, and a CD burner. I had help on here with the laptop.

A:After downloading updates for Windows Vista, the screen is blank.

Try one or all of the following options

1. Enable Low Resolution Video

2. Safe Mode

3. Last Known Good Configuration

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/531062/after-downloading-updates-for-windows-vista-the-screen-is-blank/
Relevancy 71.81%

Ok over the past week or so windows has been installing the same 3 updates every night! Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit

So I checked to see if they failed and they were installed successfully!

I have ran 3 different MS Fixit things to no avail. I have tried to update the PC manually however it does not go past 0% on installing the updates it just says preparing updates.

I tried adding 2 optional updates to make it 5 and manually clicking update however it sticks on 0% downloading updates.

I am usually pretty good at troubleshooting and fixing PC problems however this one I am defeated! I do not want to restore if possible, will this take away ANY of my files e.g work I have done I have never had to do it before!

However if someone can suggest a fix without having to restore that would be great!

Thanks in advance!
Ash

A:Windows Update - Installs Same Updates On Shut Down - 0% Stuck

Ok something new,

I tried some more fixes I found online I tried deleting the contents of the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder to no avail.

And also ran a program which reinstalled WU and all its .dll's etc.

Now I have a different problem it wont search for updates it says searching then stops and say error "8008005".

Tried disabling AV and FIrewall (Avast, Comodo and MBAM) and ran scans on all of those including SUPERAntiSpyware.

I only have one system restore from around 5 days ago when the updates were just reinstalling and i had no errors.

Should I restore to that or try and fix this error (which i have been looking how to with no luck!)

Thanks
Ash

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/251373-windows-update-installs-same-updates-shut-down-0-stuck.html
Relevancy 71.81%

I recently purchased a new Samsung 850 PRO SSD. I did a clean install using the recovery partition from my HP DV7 HDD and then cloned to the SSD.

The very fist thing I did was Windows Update and it just has the window that says "Checking for Updates Online..." with the bar constantly going.

I managed to download and install the SURT (KB947821) and that is the only update listed as installed under the Windows Update history.

SFC Scan passes with no issues.

On the Windows Update screen, no error codes appear. Just says "Never Checked."

Error code that I have come across in my CBS log file (multiple instances):
HRESULT = 0x800f0805 - CBS_E_INVALID_PACKAGE

CBS.zip attached

A:Windows Update Issues / Stuck at Checking for Updates

Did you try searching for the topic? Many recent posts about the issue including several that provide tips as to how to get it to work better.

edit: Here is one that was just below yours. It may link to some of the potential solutions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/397696-windows-update-issues-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi i'm having a hard time with Windows Update When i check for for updates it gets stuck and even at for Update stuck "Checking updates' Windows if i dont check for updates the Windows Update service starts anyway In both cases it is accompanied by high CPU usage as shown here List of things Windows Update stuck at "Checking for updates' i did Anti-virus scan nothing Windows Update Troubleshooter didnt fix it Check Disk for Errors no problems were detected I eventually tried Resetting Windows Update Componets Manually following step using the proccess described here https support microsoft com en-us kb I ran into trouble Reregistering files step Many dlls were NOT successful such as regsvr exe shdocvw dll pop-up message said something along the lines of quot Connected but failed to register check if dll is vaild and try again later'' and some more which i cant remember That said i completed all steps because i didnt know what else to do The results were the same as before apart from having my Update history whiped and new folders in Windows don't know if i need the two them in each file No solution to this has been found yet Please help

A:Windows Update stuck at "Checking for updates'

This is a common problem now with many many people that started here over a year ago and has gotten progressively worse. There are threads on various forums (Wilders, DSLR) about it and so on. It took 4 hours and 15 minutes of "checking for updates" on my Win 7 system yesterday, but eventually they did show up and I then had no trouble installing them. All I can suggest is patience, just let it run until it shows the list. I hope MS will fix this issue at some point, because a lot of people are getting very very frustrated with all this. And yes, the entire time mine was checking, the cpu usage was at a constant 50% more or less. However, I was still able to use the machine during this time, so not too much of a hardship. This issue needs fixing though, for sure!

PS: Various people have posted various temporary fixes, but nothing sticks. The next month the same problem occurs on the next update check. So at this time, there is no real solution. Don't bother looking for one, in other words...

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/394744-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi

This is Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate (32bit). Windows Update is not working. It is set to install updates automatically, yet it never does, and if I initiate a manual scan, it doesn't work either. It gets stuck at the stage "scanning for new updates".

What I did so far:
- Cleaned all the temp directories
- Installed the latest windows update agent manually (using the standalone installer from Microsoft page - installed successfully)

No effects. It is still not working.

Here's the windowsupdate.log:
Windows Update Log: Stuck at scanning for updates - Pastebin.com
Please help me solve this!

A:Windows Update stuck at scanning for updates... forever

If you wait long enough, this list of updates should come in.
It might take more than 24 hours of searching.

Which Windows Update Client (formerly called agent) did you install?
This seems to be the latest one:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3112343

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/387927-windows-update-stuck-scanning-updates-forever.html
Relevancy 71.81%

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this?

But I need help.  When I go to Windows Update and click "Check for updates", my laptop just gets stuck there on "Checking for updates...".  I gave it about 6 hours and it never changed.  

This is for an older laptop that I don't use anymore.  I just turn it on every couple months to try to keep it updated.  It runs Windows 7 Home Premium.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

A:laptop stuck on "Checking for updates..." during Windows Update

Please answer to these two questions,
When current Windows 7 was installed, and whether SP1 is installed.
When did you last got an upgrade? Was it ever updated after installed.
I had similar problem couple days ago that's why I ask.  Now it is solved. So, maybe is the same problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/628954/laptop-stuck-on-checking-for-updates-during-windows-update/
Relevancy 71.81%

I have an hp pavillion dv4 2112 tu running windows 7 home premium 32 bit. I want to upgrade it to win10 but i don't have the necessary upgrades to get it to upgrade on its own by the get windows 10 app. I read somewhere about the kb2952664 and the 3035583 updates and tried to install them via windows update but it was stuck at downloading updates with no traffic generated. I tried manually downloading those but the WUSA is stuck at 'searching for updates on this computer'. I've tried deleting the contents of the software distribution folder, microsoft fixit for Windows update, their troubleshooting tool(stuck at resolving) but nothing's worked. I dont have a restore point to fall back too. What dk I do now?
Edit: I tried running sfc /scannow but it's failing at 29%.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/394794-windows-update-stuck-cant-get-required-updates-upgrade-10-a.html
Relevancy 71.81%

nbsp nbsp Quote Originally Posted by sleepless nbsp nbsp Quote Originally windows update updates... for 7 at stuck "checking Posted by Mayank Parmar is the computer booting in Safe Mode if Yes then run a disk cleanup seems to be working after a run in safe mode thanks all for your time I know this is an old thread but what exactly did you do in safe mode I have the exact same problem I tried to boot in safe mode Tried opening Windows Update but nothing at all happened it would not open I seem to have found info saying that Windows Update cannot open in safe mode Anyway nothing new windows 7 update stuck at "checking for updates... when I rebooted again and tried to check for updates in Windows Update again It just keeps checking and checking and checking for hours I've also tried the Microsoft Fix It tool but what happens there is that it says quot Checking for updates on the Internet quot and is stuck there So basically the same thing as in Windows Update Btw I have just done a clean install of Windows Professional x SP on this computer so this is the first time I run Windows Update after that meaning no updates have ever been installed I am not tech savvy at all so now I'm clueless

A:windows 7 update stuck at "checking for updates...

Please follow the Windows Update Posting Instructions and post the requested data

If the file is too large (8MB compressed), remove the older CBSPersist cab files until the final file is below the limit - you can always post them separately after zipping them. (the forum doesn't allow the upload of bare CAB files, for a number of reasons)

Please also post the C:\Windows\windowsudpate.log file

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/379117-windows-7-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Update stuck checking for updates.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

A:Microsoft Windows 8.1 Update stuck checking for updates

Microsoft has released a script to run which resets the Windows Update service by correcting some errors.
This file called WUReset.bat can be downloaded for Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 and also for Windows 7.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-windows/14b86efd-1420-4916-9832-829125b1e8a3

https://malwaretips.com/threads/microsoft-windows-8-1-update-stuck-checking-for-updates.63800/
Relevancy 71.81%

Same issue as josefine. Recent clean install. Got some updates done, including service pack 1, then Windows Update updated, and now I'm stuck. No earlier version of Windows Update detected, so I can't roll back, tried the above fixes (including Windows Fix It, which wasn't able to install properly), and in Safe Mode with networking, Windows Update won't run at all

Here's my log file

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/379118-windows-7-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 71.81%

It seems that my Windows Update is stuck in a loop of getting the updates. I tried using a diagnostic executable available on Microsoft's website to fix the issue but it apparently did nothing. Does anyone know any other possible solutions?

A:Windows Update caught in loop (stuck at getting updates)

Hi and welcome to SevenForums,
How long has it been searching for updates ?
It okay to use Restart.

It's been unfortunately common
I believe it's the update system updating it's self first before offering any update to load by the user.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/384712-windows-update-caught-loop-stuck-getting-updates.html
Relevancy 71.81%

It seems that my Windows Update is stuck in a loop of getting the updates. I tried using a diagnostic executable available on Microsoft's website to fix the issue but it apparently did nothing. Does anyone know any other possible solutions?

A:Windows Update caught in loop (stuck getting updates)

You might want to go through the steps here that apply to Win 7. You can skip anything pertaining to 8.1 and 10.
https://www.winhelp.us/reinstall-windows-update.html

http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-7-a/127010-windows-update-caught-loop-stuck-getting-updates.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Same issue here. Fresh install of Win 7 Pro x64 w/SP1 in a VM. Also tried installing Win 7 Pro x64 and manually adding SP1 ( from .iso )-- after SP1 is added, Windows update just runs and runs and never finishes. Been running for the past 4 hours.

Installs earlier this year did not have this issue. Wondering if since the Windows 10 rollout started maybe something changed on MS update servers?

This tutorial needs to be completed.

Windows Update Posting Instructions

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/379119-windows-7-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I need help fixing this issue:The problem is its connected to the HP servers but for some reason it stops at "downloading messages and updates definition". Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, then rebooting my laptop but it still doesnt work.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/HP-support-assistant-is-stuck-on-downloading-and-updates/td-p/5840180
Relevancy 70.95%

Hello I have laptops with the identical issue I am trying to work on one before fixing the other I have been working with another Bleeping Computer tech and he referred me to this forum http www bleepingcomputer com forums t infected-with-win bundledtoolbargoogled view getnewpost the above thread is the last communication that we have had on the topic My problem is this Windows Update in Win is stuck in a loop trying to search search stuck updates trying Windows in for Win7 loop a in to is Update for updates At one time I did an ESET Online Scanner scan and came up with a virus The virus was cleaned but I still have the issue with not getting Windows Updates This one laptop in particular the issue started when I had Vista on there I had since erased the hard drive Windows Update in Win7 is stuck in a loop trying to search for updates in a -swipe process and I did this times After the first time I used Win on there instead Windows Update in Win7 is stuck in a loop trying to search for updates of Vista The problem still persists Can you help me with this issue Thank you

A:Windows Update in Win7 is stuck in a loop trying to search for updates

I would say if the system has been checked by others as per your last original post and stated clean.

Then i see you say that Windows Update - stalls ? ... { You could check Task Manager - Running Tasks - and if WU is running ok.
Does this mean the PC is unresponsive or just Updates taking to long ? { No % Increase }.

I have had PCs take over 10 hours to process and then download.

Hopefully all your Services are still correctly Set ? , i would run the Windows Update over night , the longer the better , and see if it can actually complete.

This has been an issue for quite sometime after intro of Win10 , and for Win 7 machines to be last inline and  ess of a priorty over 10.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612859/windows-update-in-win7-is-stuck-in-a-loop-trying-to-search-for-updates/
Relevancy 70.95%

Hello guys, so i reinstalled my windows like 4 times and it didn't work. I need to update all the drivers because that is important for the system. And I know that there is lots of updates that needed to be install. But as I mentioned in tittle it stucks. And if i restart pc. It says that i never tried to check for updates. I tried some youtube guides but didn't work. Last time I reinstalled my windows was 2 years ago. And I did not had that problem. So pleasee any tips ? And i am on laptop.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/392001-windows-update-takes-forever-find-updates-stuck.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Basically my old HDD died from bad sectors and I had to format and install Windows Enterprise on a back up hdd that was flooded and stuck on install) fresh clean checking updates Update (on Windows with useless documents from the past Went ahead done what I had to Windows Update stuck on checking updates (on fresh and clean install) do Windows Update stuck on checking updates (on fresh and clean install) and left Windows to check for updates Steam install some games and League of Legends update However everything finished but Windows was still checking for updates and I noticed the svchost exe netsvcs one uses about GB out of RAM Immediately knew that this was caused by the Windows Update service that's under it However turning Windows Update off is never a smart thing to do and I don't have the kind of time to manually download updates I know that it will probably blast me with updates has happened in the past but never used up so much RAM and finished way faster than hours with all my usual post installation stuff Anyways some info you should probably know -I'm using a Wireless adapter TP-LINK TL-WN N and I have read threads here that Windows Update would sometimes fail to do what it should with Wireless adapters unfortunatelly that isn't an option at the moment -Resetting Windows Update manually and through Fix It doesn't work So first thing I'm looking at is updating the Windows Update client please do tell if you think otherwise or if not link me to the newest Windows update client or probbably any hotfixes that could fix the problem never done this before and wouldn't want to mess up so I decided to ask you guys Another short question I have Does editing the group policy to stop Windows Update from auto restarting after updates still work as before I have not done this yet on this computer yet just want to know

A:Windows Update stuck on checking updates (on fresh and clean install)

Hi Qualtrox,
might be due to fact that Enterprise and Ultimate, are different versions.
If you using the Ultimate key on an Enterprise install, or visa versa, then it will hang as its failing validation.
We can check if you run this too, copy/paste the output
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=52012

Roy

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/398302-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates-fresh-clean-install.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I have been attempting to install Windows Updates as well as the Windows 10 upgrade over the last few days but each time the Update gets stuck at "Checking for updates". I haven't seen any error codes however it was stuck at this status for 8+ hours today. I have attempted to install updates via the standalone installer as well and that gets stuck at "Searching for updates on this computer".

Link for CBS .zip file. --> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19966449/CBS.zip

Thanks in advance for your help.

A:Windows Update Stuck at Checking For Updates - Missing Manifest Files

Am getting the same and mine is for a fresh installation of 7 as I had a problem with mine so have nothing installed yet apart from the IE11 upgrade.
Someone mentioned in another forum that there are some fixes (in the shape of some KB to install first) but I don't seem to be able to find them.
Will do more research.
Could be the servers are having problems of course..

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/397942-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates-missing-manifest-files.html
Relevancy 70.09%

There are widespread reports of "windows update says downloading windows 10" when it is not. The rocket scientists in redmond know this is a problem that enrages their customers but true to their time honored business model of making billions
by pissing people off they will do nothing... None of the usual pablum like uninstalling and hiding the piece of crap update that tries to ram windows 10 down everyone's gullet fixes it... 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5f974631-512d-41a6-8452-504c5ced2967/windows-update-says-downloading-windows-10-for-all-updates?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 69.66%

Just a few hours ago I installed a fresh W7 SP1 x64 and I looked at Win Update, it just keeps searching and searching for hours, and nothing happens.

A:Windows 7 SP1 Windows Update stuck checking for updates

did you turn it off and reboot and try again

Originally Posted by Steffan

Just a few hours ago I installed a fresh W7 SP1 x64 and I looked at Win Update, it just keeps searching and searching for hours, and nothing happens.

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/65377-windows-7-sp1-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Note : This thread is not Windows 7 only, but for newer and older Windows versions

Guys, I'm really get annoyed about this. Is really Microsoft didn't have a solution that doesn't requires users to do complicated steps?

The problem is, when I want to update the Windows using Windows Update, the CPU usage kicks to full usage by svchost.exe

I have 2 laptop victims here :

Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E135 (Windows 7 Home Basic, not updated for 2 years) : Takes about 6 hours to show 120+ updates

Sony VAIO VGN-CR220Q (Windows Vista Home Premium, fresh install) : Takes about 4 hours and still stuck now

Sony VAIO VGN-CR220Q (Windows 8.1 Pro, fresh install) : Takes about some hours to show 50+ updates

Why the Windows takes so much time to just shows... a hundred updates? It is not thousand updates o_O

Well I know the CPU is so slow, but can't Microsoft optimized the process? I mean what are Windows doing? Why it takes so much time?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0e217a8c-8183-4f1e-9c38-d9840d524330/everytime-i-want-to-update-the-late-windows-it-takes-so-much-time-stuck-at-checking-for-updates?forum=w7itproperf
Relevancy 69.66%

So I'm having some problems with Windows Update this is my parent's computer and I do scan regularly with Avast and Malwarebytes- no threats I go to update Windows Updates and it just stays on the loading screen with progress however from time to stuck at Windows screen, Update update Java can't loading time I notice when I go to shut Windows Update stuck at loading screen, can't update Java down the computer I get one of those icons on my shut down button Windows Update stuck at loading screen, can't update Java that you sometimes get from updates so I don't know what's going on I get that icon and at shut down it says updates of are installing do not turn off your computer but then after reboot when I go back to Windows Updates it's now less so I had updates now I have but I still never saw the progress bar nothing there was no indication that updates were being installed it was always at I waited over hours- almost all day I'm just confused and now it's saying I have updates and again it's just stuck at the loading screen no progress can anyone help me out with this My dad said he also noticed the computer running a bit slow even boot up is slow Also Java I cannot get it to install I get the pop up window in my taskbar to install updates but when I click it nothing happens this I have problems with even on my personal laptop I can't ever seem to install Java updates because it won't open what is going on with this program Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you I just wanted to add that I'v also been experiencing some loading problems with webpages I keep getting an error page and some pages I can't load for a while it took me a very long time to be able to post here and took me a while to load google even sometimes they load ok but other times unable to load for some reason took a screenshot to show you maybe that has something to do with updates not being able to load and install

A:Windows Update stuck at loading screen, can't update Java

Computer freezes a lot and loads slowly as well.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-update-stuck-at-loading-screen-cant-update-java-1126201.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3124200) has been stuck at downloading updates 52% for over a day. Does anyone else have this issue? How do you kill the update and try again?

A:Update KB3124200 Stuck Downloading at 52%

Originally Posted by Steve C

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3124200) has been stuck at downloading updates 52% for over a day. Does anyone else have this issue? How do you kill the update and try again?

Steve, if the updates are stuck, resetting should help:
Do the steps as indicated here:
Windows Update - Reset in Windows 10
Let us know how it goes.

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/35491-update-kb3124200-stuck-downloading-52-a.html
Relevancy 66.22%

so i installed windows 10 this morning and it went through the steps and got to a point in the install that says "Hi there, welcome back!" with a "next" button in the bottom right of the screen. When i click it nothing happens. If i click on the screen after about a minute it goes lighter blue and then reboots back to the very same screen. Please help my computer has been rendered useless.

A:My Windows 10 update is stuck at the Welcome Back screen, how can I fix this?

I have the exact same problem on my PC. really hope someone can help as I can not do anything with my pc now.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/370249-my-windows-10-update-stuck-welcome-back-screen-how-can-i-fix.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I have purchased a new computer a month ago with win8 on it. I have had a few updates and they all installed successfuly, but not yesterday.

I restarted my computer and the update was downloading like normal. Then at around 85% the computer performed a reboot. And now I am stuck with a screen that says:

"Configuring windows update has failed. Restoring system changes. Don't shut down your computer".

My windows isn't english so this translation may not be 100% correct. I have left the computer at this state for 4 hours already and it's still stuck. I tried to boot in safe mode but It doesnt work, and I put the win8 disc I got in, and nothing happens. I can't access anything. It's just stuck at the screen eternaly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Windows 8 stuck at update failed screen

I got the windows cd to work. I first wanted to do a system restore, but apparently no saved states were made, so the only option left was system refresh. It said I won't lose any files but after successfuly booting into windows everything is gone. I am just left with a file that lists everything that was deleted.

Is there any way to get the files back? And like I said system restore doesn't work. Also on another note, it seems that there are no new updates to download, so I guess the update was successful?

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/24790-windows-8-stuck-update-failed-screen.html
Relevancy 65.36%

First of all, sorry for another new thread. I didn't see a general one for installation issues or one that fits my problem.

So, I started trying to update 8 to 8.1 from Windows Store. It went ok there, rebooted, installed and it got somewhat stuck around 83% during "applying PC settings" (don't know if it's exactly that in english, since mine is in portuguese). A few minutes later, black screen and after a few more minutes, it rebooted and went to the boot screen (Windows logo). However, it never got past that. Eventually, after many reboots, it restored to 8.0. I tried two times in a row and always the same problem.

Is there any solution?

A:Windows 8.1 update - Black Screen and then stuck on boot

As a pre-check before your next attempt, make sure all Windows Updates are current and confirm there is no inherent corruption to your current 8.0 installation by following the steps in this tutorial:

DISM - Fixing Component Store Corruption in Windows 8

Good luck.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/33109-windows-8-1-update-black-screen-then-stuck-boot.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I've gone Windows in Updates" Stuck Update Cycle Perpetual for "Checking through several threads relating to this issue with zero luck so far nbsp Have had this installation of Win x for over a Windows Update Stuck in Perpetual "Checking for Updates" Cycle year with no WU issues nbsp Hadn't updated in Windows Update Stuck in Perpetual "Checking for Updates" Cycle a few weeks so I went to do a manual check today nbsp The netsvcs process w WU locks one of my cores CPU use nbsp Initially Windows Update Stuck in Perpetual "Checking for Updates" Cycle this process accesses a variety of files on the drive but after a few minutes there is absolutely zero further file access from this process nbsp Process never shuts down or releases that CPU I've run the Windows Update Troubleshooter nbsp Had problems the first time rebooted stopped the crypt BITS and WU process nbsp Ran it again it quot fixed quot four issues and claimed that everything was swell nbsp Rebooted ran WU perpetual quot checking quot Walked through the manual process from https support microsoft com en-us kb though I did get a number of errors when trying to register many of the modules in step six nbsp So didn't have much confidence nbsp Anyway continued through the steps rebooted ran WU nbsp No dice Manually downloaded and ran the two updates from https support microsoft com en-us kb and https support microsoft com en-us kb nbsp Both told me they were already installed At this point I'm looking at a complete wipe and reinstall which I'd really rather avoid nbsp Any other bright ideas to resolve this nbsp WU log at https www dropbox com s mt kb qtrjfc WindowsUpdate log dl Thanks

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/195eaaa2-eb0a-42d4-aa40-8023d49560a7/windows-update-stuck-in-perpetual-quotchecking-for-updatesquot-cycle?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi
I've been trying to set up a few second hand laptops for a charity youth club. One went without a hitch, one won't update Windows at all.

It's running Windows 7 SP1, I've tried various fixes but nothing seems to be working.

I've followed the instructions on the post. Attached is my CBS log zip file. I don't have any error codes as it just sits on "Checking for Updates".

Interestingly the first time I ran the SURT it just sat for over 8 hours on "Checking for Updates" as well. Second time, after a power down & reboot it did it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This was meant to be a quick favour & now turning into a long job!

Thanks

Nick

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/401970-windows-update-reset-but-still-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 64.5%

To whomever can help:

I was given a computer for my daughter. It was JUST installed with Windows 7 home Premium sp1 when we got it. When I have tried to check for updates, it gets stuck- even if I leave it for hours & hours, it still continues to "check for updates" (& I have very fast internet). I have ran microsofts windows update troubleshooter, but it still does the same thing. Please help.

Thank you for your time & assistance.

Dell Vostro A860
Windows 7 Home Premium (clean install) sp1

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-update-stuck-cheking-for-updates-new-install-1038361.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi I installed win recently and activated it The updates dont seem to install automatically I have tried many FixIt and manuall installation past to days but nothing worked The maximum I could go was getting quot updates available quot alert Even if I select one update out of those it just loops forever in checking searching for updates I installed Win hoping that would resolve it but coudnt activate win due to clean install So I have now reinstalled win but again stuck in same place I tried installing System Update readiness tool and its running for around hours now But the CBS log file's stuck updates" Update forever Windows for in "Checking last update timestamp seems to have stopped an hour before I checked the posting instructions and it says wait for few hours after running SRUT before posting I see a dialog box with title quot Windows Update standalone installer quot and message quot Searching for updates on this computer quot Attached CBS folder Please advise Regards Shah

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/383711-windows-update-stuck-forever-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi My question is How can I determine if a downloadable application offered by a Web site is indeed safe i e not malware or spam before I actually do download and install the program Here are the gory details I was curious about updates to my computer's BIOS and drivers so I searched Google and turned up a web-site that offers a download that scans your computer to determine the current BIOS and driver versions then provides a checklist showing which are up-to-date and which aren't I ran it and it looks pretty neat http driveragent com It also provides links to download the updates Unfortunately that costs about for a year's subscription It's not just driver Downloading updates safely update & BIOS that I'm broke it's also kind of scary My question may be Downloading BIOS update & driver updates safely foolish especially since I downloaded and installed the program that does the checking without knowing anything about it But I'd really like to know if there is a way to determine how Downloading BIOS update & driver updates safely safe a downloadable application is quot before quot actually downloading and installing it Many thanks I look forward to hearing your advice JimB

A:Downloading BIOS update & driver updates safely

hello & welcome to TSF ,

driveragent is a very safe place to get your drivers from .....

i have a standing subscription with them for i do alot of repairs on a daily basis and trust them greatly and it is so much quicker & easier for me !!

now the best way you can get your drivers for free is to go to the home site of the manufacturer of the pc you have or the for the hardware that you have installed & to know the types of software you are using that require specific drivers like (Realtek AC/97audio & nVidia video & ATI chipsets & Intel & AMD ) and so many more that are used to run certain applications on a pc / there is quite a few that Microsoft offers thru the update site/plus many other trusted sites that you can get them from

but you need to know the specific driver that you need for you can get a driver that may look like the one that you need but rather is for a diifernt application and then you are then going to create a driver conflict and then you have issues on your pc and have to trouble shoot to find the issue

for you see some drivers for one hp will work on a dell , but then they wont for certain hp computers /then you have some dell drivers that will work on a hp or many differnt hps

then you have the differnce of having a laptop from a desktop

so the need to know is very inportant & can be time comsuming

i hope that i have shed a little light on the subject for you

so what drivers are you wanting to update / well what type of pc do you have / is it a prebuild ( purchased from a store like a Dell or HP ) or is it a custom build (you built it yor self or had someone build it for you ) ?

Mike

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/downloading-bios-update-and-driver-updates-safely-211598.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I keep getting Error message: Install Failure after Windows updates are downloaded and Windows attempts to install those updates.

The download is successfull, however, after Windows 7 attempts to install those updates I get this message:

Configuring Windows Update. Do Not Turn off computer.

After Windows attempts the installations of those updates, I get the following message: Failure configuring Service Pack. Reverting Changes. Error_install_failure (0x80070643).

I contacted Microsoft on the problem via emails....they went through a number of trouble shooting techniques....but after all of their recommendations, all they could tell me was to reinstall Windows 7.

I really would not like to do that. Do you have any idea what the problem is?

I have HP Pavilian dv6-3010 us Entertainment Notebook
Windows7, 64bit syatem, 8 gigabytes of Ram, 320Gig Hard Drive
Thanks
Dieter

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-after-downloading-current-updates-failes-to-complete-intall-of-updates.1015802/
Relevancy 64.5%

When I use Windows 8.1 to look for windows updates, it keeps looking for ages and nothing loads. Please help.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/75858-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 64.5%

hi, windows 7 never seems to complete the update check. it just stays stuck at "checking for updates...". it will stay like this for days. most recent check for updates is listed as 7/9/2014 (almost 3 months ago). i tried the fix and the reset listed here:

windows 7 update stuck at checking for updates - Tech Support Forum

nothing has worked so far, please help.

A:windows 7 update stuck at "checking for updates..."

See if there are any methods in this Tutorial you haven't tried: Windows Update - Reset

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/347490-windows-7-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi,
Current issue: Windows 7 sp1 update stuck at "checking for updates" for more than a week
My computer: windows 7 professional sp1 installation originally
Last automatic checked and updated successfully: May 11, 2015
CCleaner cleaned up: once every week
Anti-virus: AVG for more than 10 years

Self - troubleshooting done so far but did not work:
1) CCleaner cleaned up & Disk cleanup under safe mode
2) Reset Update following this instruction: Windows Update - Reset
3) Temporarily turned off AVG anti-virus while checking for update
4) System restored to the earliest restore point: July 15, 2015

Please help.

A:windows 7 sp1 update stuck at "checking for updates"

This is currently a common issue - partly caused by a poor update from MS which slows the process down, and partly caused by throttling of the MS servers.

Simply leave WU to do it's thing overnight - or longer if necessary - it will get there in the end.
If it's still not completed a scan after 24 hours running...
Please follow the Windows Update Posting Instructions and post the requested data

If the file is too large (8MB compressed), remove the older CBSPersist cab files until the final file is below the limit - you can always post them separately after zipping them. (the forum doesn't allow the upload of bare CAB files, for a number of reasons)

Please also post the C:\Windows\windowsudpate.log file

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/381224-windows-7-sp1-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi everybody I am running in to a problem where the Windows Update is stuck on checking for updates now I have freshly upgraded a Windows machine from Enterprise to Professional with a new product key - which it did work activated as a Genuine But it might not be just the Windows Update any other software would be doing Update "Checking for on stuck Windows updates" the same thing as for Windows Update - checking for updates so I am just wondering if there is a one way click to solve this problem Everything else works except from the Windows Update what is doing is just checking for updates and it hangs on checking for hours and hours - so I had enough and I want to find a best solution that would work Now I am not quite sure if the Windows Update is taking time to get all the updates gathered in or it might be stuck But I don't know I can't really tell on what the computer is doing in the background Windows Update stuck on "Checking for updates" process During the research for finding this solution and I have came up with different solutions but I don't want to risk too much on registry or doing manual servicing including in with deleting a few files from the C drive downloading a few tweakers fixers applications such as Microsoft FixIt - but none of this solved the problem apart from being patient and wait The only thing I haven't done is doing a sfc scannow check disk clean up or reinstall Windows Professional and doing a disk check before startup I just want the Windows Update to work so that the computer is ready to receive updates before June and it can be ready to process and upgrade to Windows if possible This picture below shows the same problem to what is happening right now Thank you for reading Best Regards Ben

A:Windows Update stuck on "Checking for updates"

Mines doing this too tonight. Can take a while but tonight's patches is the worst - it took over an hour to find and pull them in. But now it's just stuck on 0% downloading for last twenty mins. Good old MS !

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/392826-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I recently re-installed Windows Home Premium on my Alienware X after getting a lot of random freezes After the installation completed I noticed that Windows Update was getting stuck at quot Checking for updates quot for at "Checking stuck Windows Update updates..." and would not move forward even after I Windows Update stuck at "Checking for updates..." left the computer Windows Update stuck at "Checking for updates..." on overnight I was ultimately able to get Windows Update to function by updating the Windows Update Client as described here https blog krissmilne tech Windows Update stuck at "Checking for updates..." windows ng-for-updates However that only worked once Windows Update is now getting stuck at stuck at quot Checking for updates quot again The last few entries from WindowsUpdate log are as follows Code - - cc PT PT Synchronizing server updates - - cc PT ServiceId F -A - - - A D EFE D Server URL https fe update microsoft com v ClientWebService client asmx - - db AU No pending client directive - - cc Driver Matched driver to device PCI VEN amp DEV amp SUBSYS amp REV - - cc Driver Status x a ProblemNumber - - c AU Getting featured update notifications fIncludeDismissed true - - c AU No featured updates available - - c AU Triggering AU detection through DetectNow API - - c AU Piggybacking on an AU detection already in progress - - cc Agent WARNING Failed to evaluate Installed rule updateId A D - E D- D E-AA E- A EDC hr - - cc Agent WARNING Failed to evaluate Installed rule updateId AF- - C -BD E- AD D hr - - cc Misc Validating signature for C Windows SoftwareDistribution WuRedir F -A - - - A D EFE D wuredir cab with dwProvFlags x - - cc Misc Microsoft signed NA - - cc Misc Validating signature for C Windows SoftwareDistribution WuRedir F -A - - - A D EFE D TMPDE tmp with dwProvFlags x - - cc Misc Microsoft signed NA - - cc Misc Validating signature for C Windows SoftwareDistribution WuRedir F -A - - - A D EFE D v -muredir cab with dwProvFlags x - - cc Misc Microsoft signed NA - - cc Misc Validating signature for C Windows SoftwareDistribution WuRedir F -A - - - A D EFE D v -muredir cab with dwProvFlags x - - cc Misc Microsoft signed NA - - cc Misc Validating signature for C Windows SoftwareDistribution WuRedir F -A - - - A D EFE D wuredir cab with dwProvFlags x - - cc Misc Microsoft signed NA - - cc Misc Validating signature for C Windows SoftwareDistribution WuRedir F -A - - - A D EFE D TMPDF tmp with dwProvFlags x - - cc Misc Microsoft signed NA - - cc Misc Validating signature for C Windows SoftwareDistribution WuRedir F -A - - - A D EFE D wuredir cab with dwProvFlags x - - cc Misc Microsoft signed NA - - cc Misc Validating signature for C Windows SoftwareDistribution WuRedir F -A - - - A D EFE D TMPDF tmp with dwProvFlags x - - cc Misc Microsoft signed NA - - cc PT PT Synchronizing extended update info - - cc PT ServiceId F -A - - - A D EFE D Server URL https fe update microsoft com v ClientWebService client asmx - - cc DtaStor WARNING Attempted to add URL http download windowsupdate com msdownload update software updt ebb a c a c eac ecdcd cab for file Kjd BsNpRlIiRRqckurD NzXE when file has not been previously added to the datastore - - cc DtaStor WARNING Attempted to add URL http download windowsupdate com c msdownload update others d ac b e e fc b bd ed ea ec b b cab for file qwTO nn fwWsb kTtjqY XsOws when file has not been previously added to the datastore Here are the entries from the previous attempt Code - - ac AU Install complete for all calls reboot NOT needed - - ac AU Setting AU scheduled install time to - - - - ac AU Successfully wrote event for AU health state - - fc AU Getting featured update notifications fIncludeDismissed true - - fc AU No featured updates available - - fc AU All updates already downloaded setting percent complete to - - fc AU All updates already downloaded setting percent complete to - - fc AU No featured updates notifications to show - -... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/400383-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hello Sevenforums I have a Lenovo Z laptop which i got updates" "Searching update Windows stuck for with windows on it Later i upgraded it to windows but the performance seemed to be lacking after i updated I therefore installed windows ultimate SP on it after i formated all the drives The installation went smoothly though the drivers for several components like WAN and LAN had to be installed from a USB I then decided to run windows updates but it dosn't get further than quot searching for updates quot I read in another thread that the windowsupdate txt might have some information to what is going on but I do not know how to identify the problem from the data Also when i tried to zip the windowsupdate txt file it said the drive was writing protected and that i didnt Windows update stuck "Searching for updates" have permission to create the Windows update stuck "Searching for updates" zip file even though i am administrator I have attached a zip of the file hopefully someone can help me resolve this problem as I use this laptop for my edducation Regards FedtetLyn

A:Windows update stuck "Searching for updates"

See this post:
Windows Update Hangs on checking for updates

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/384028-windows-update-stuck-searching-updates.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Already tried everything I read on a lot of threads here. The Windows Update is stuck at the "green bar"

I'm using Windows 8.1

1) Already used the Microsoft Fixit from this KB topic: How do I reset Windows Update components?
2) Tried all the fixes I could use from this page: https://www.winhelp.us/reinstall-windows-update.html
3) Tried "sfc /scannow"
4) Tried "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"

Still nothing, the green bar keep going for more than 4/5 hours

Is there anything left to do? Or just re-install? Uninstall/Install windows again?

A:Windows Update stuck at "Checking for Updates"

Temporarily disable your antivirus program if it helps.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/62521-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I work for an IT firm in The Bahamas and as a result do a lot of Windows reloads nbsp However I have noticed that recently within the last year Windows has a very difficult time updating after a fresh reload with SP nbsp When I check for updates it starts scanning and says quot Checking for Updates quot but never finds any nbsp It just keeps checking nbsp I've left it running for hours without ever finding a single update Here's the thing it isn't a particular computer nbsp As I said I do a lot of reloads for Stuck "Checking Update at updates" Windows nbsp This happens Windows Update Stuck at "Checking for updates" on almost every computer after a reload of Windows regardless of brand nbsp Sometimes I scan before activating Windows sometimes after nbsp There is no antivirus installed and I've tried it with Windows Firewall both enabled and disabled nbsp Sometimes after scanning for a long time it will automatically install updates without having me select any of the updates nbsp It still says quot Checking for Updates quot Other times it just never finds or installs any updates but it still says quot Checking for Updates quot nbsp I'm not the only one who has recognized the problems my colleagues have also experienced it nbsp I've also tried updating on many different networks home work customers network etc nbsp Same result I have done lots of research online to see if other people have been having this issue but I have not found anything nbsp Has anybody else been experiencing this problem nbsp Is Microsoft having an issue with Windows update or are they intentionally trying to discourage the use of Windows nbsp I'm not sure how it has been such a big problem for my colleagues and I in the last year but no one seems to know anything about it

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3b0c65d7-c93f-4208-a2dd-dcbb19f2f9c4/windows-update-stuck-at-quotchecking-for-updatesquot?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 64.07%

Hello friends,
I have tried to update my Lumia 930 (which was already nicely running Windows 10) to its latest Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update and got stuck on the logo screen for indefinitely long time.
The update seem to have proceeded smoothly until the device restarts and displays the blue logo and then stuck there for ages.
Tried to factory reset and it ran the reset and then again stuck at the logo screen forever. The Device Recovery Tool is helpless as it cannot establish a USB connection with the device.
Goddamn, I should've never tried the damn Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update.
Updating Windows 10 Mobile is always very painful and extremely risky, no idea why Microsoft cannot engineer a proper update in 2016.
Any help guys? :'(

A:Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update Stuck on logo screen forever

Originally Posted by Windows Central Question Hello friends,
I have tried to update my Lumia 930 (which was already nicely running Windows 10) to its latest Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update and got stuck on the logo screen for indefinitely long time.
The update seem to have proceeded smoothly until the device restarts and displays the blue logo and then stuck there for ages.
Tried to factory reset and it ran the reset and then again stuck at the logo screen forever. The Device Recovery Tool is helpless as it cannot establish a USB connection with the device.
Goddamn, I should've never tried the damn Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update.
Updating Windows 10 Mobile is always very painful and extremely risky, no idea why Microsoft cannot engineer a proper update in 2016.
Any help guys? :'( try a different cable for wdrt and maybe a different USB port too
If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/438413-windows-10-mobile-anniversary-update-stuck-logo-screen-forever.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I downloaded updates and pc said restart to finish and after that the screen was black.  

A:After downloading updates screen is black after restarting

Hi there @Terrih64, May the Forums be with you!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel.  I understand that after software udates your computer starts with a black screen.  I am happy to help with this. Please post the full product number of your computer. See the following, if you need help with that information.  HP Desktop PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number? What updates were being loaded? Was it drivers, Windows Updates or something else?   For now you may find this document of help: HP PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 7). Just be sure to select the closest symptom in Step 2, which from your description would be "The computer starts, but the monitor is blank or unresponsive". Also be careful to follow the instructions for All-in-Ones. Another choice if you can get any video on startup, is to try HP PCs - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 7), and use a restore point from before the update that seems to have started the issue. Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/After-downloading-updates-screen-is-black-after-restarting/td-p/5696723
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi there

I received the Orange " ! "message that I needed to update something but everytime I try to complete the action the screen just gets stuck so it's not completeing this. 

I'm on vaction in Brazil so I don't speak Portugues. Please can someone log into my laptop to see whats the problem . It's been like this for 3 days.

Serial Number [Personal Information Removed]
P Num: PIA95UA#ABA
Windows 10 64 bit

Thanks
Marilyn

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-wpnt-update-updates-Computer-stuck/td-p/5824760
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello Today I made a format and a clean install on my Laptop puting the same Windows as always in this on hangs for 7 Windows 'Checking Update the Client updates...' screen! device that is the Windows Ultimate -bit The first thing I made after Windows installation finished is to check for updates The loading bar was loading for about minutes without any result so I decided to make a Windows reastart After the restart and after I gave minutes of inactivity to the system in case of Windows wants to configure something I ran again the Windows Update process and it stucks there Windows 7 Update Client hangs on the 'Checking for updates...' screen! for about an hour until now The progress bar still stands on 'Checking for Updates ' stage Does Microsoft has problem on its updating servers How can I fix the problem what can I do Please help System Configuration info Device HP Laptop CPU Intel Celeron Processor T Windows 7 Update Client hangs on the 'Checking for updates...' screen! M Cache GHz MHz FSB RAM GB DDR MHz V PC - OS Microsoft Windows Ultimate -bit Version Build Service Pack OS State Clean install no drivers doesn't need or other software installed WU Client Version Ask me if you want to know any other system parameter

A:Windows 7 Update Client hangs on the 'Checking for updates...' screen!

I found the solution my own! (By reading other posts inside this forum with the same problem like mine, which I didn't have see before..)

Well the solution is more than simple: Patience!!

You just have to press the "Check for updates" button and leave the PC or Laptop alone - and connected to the internet obviously - for hours! Warning: Turn off sleep, hibernation and hard disk shut off feature temporarily before check for updates.

My laptop, with the default settings in Windows Update (Install Updates Automatically) took 4 hours to find and download the appropriate updates...

This is Microsoft's problem on it's servers, due to the excessive traffic they have on downloading Windows 10 ISO's to the computers with older operating systems...

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/387550-windows-7-update-client-hangs-checking-updates-screen.html
Relevancy 62.35%

The message "Working on updates 12%" has been hanging on the screen for the last 12 hours on my desktop pc.

I had the same problem, though at a different point in the update process, with my laptop.

I had to abandon the update on my laptop and reinstall.

Do I have to go through all that a gain with my Desktop?

I'm very frustrated and thinking of reverting to Windows 7.

Does anyone have some suggestions to correct the stalled update procedure.

Many thanks

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/64766-windows-10-update-update-screen-message-working-updates-12-a.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I installed windows 7 yesterday but windows update is now stuck on checking for updates all the time. Doesn't download or install any updates

That said i looked up and tried a lot of solutions/fixes online but no luck, nothing worked.

Any help is much appreciated. I don't wanna upgrade to windows 10 by the way.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/399633-windows-updates-stuck-checking-updates-hours.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I have Windows 7 Home Premium on my laptop. Right now it is stuck on screen..I have rebooted once, It has been doing this for approximately 12 hours. All I can see is my background screen with the Please do not power off or unplug your machine. Installing update 193 of of 201..

Tried to start is safe mode but no option.
Also when I restart the pc it still goes back to the installing updates. I cannot access my desktop. its stuck at 193 for the past 4 hours
Thank you!

A:Screen stuck while installing updates

Sorry for the delay in responding.
Do you still need help with this problem?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/582241/screen-stuck-while-installing-updates/
Relevancy 61.49%

alright.. so windows decided to update today, I chose reboot and update, and now, its stuck on the lock screen...

help please? urgently needed.

A:stuck on lock screen after updates

update time.

launched vaio care, did a refresh..

refresh worked, but I noticed a problem on getting my lock screen again.

I had selected, as the app to display a live feed on the lock screen, the inbuilt windows weather app.

theres no live feed.

I enter my password, log into the start screen...and notice another problem.

the windows 8 nook pc app isnt displaying any of the live updates that threw me the first time I used it(was expecting either a green N or a nook..got live feeds of just in, my books etc), no, instead its giving me 'nook' in the same exact color scheme my nook color does on boot..

then I tap on the skype app, it not only wants an update, but that self same update wont install...

so.. since I'm leery of system restore(bad experiences on xp, vista and win7) I chose to zero out the machine with a reset, return it to factory specs.

going to do it all over again.. not that I'd gotten very far past loading firefox and panda cloud antivirus.. mostly spent two days screwing with it and learning the OS.

*frustrated tone* anyone else here have bad experiences with win8's update and refresh functions frakking them over?

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/14099-stuck-lock-screen-after-updates.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I just got past the administration password now I'm stuck on the could not complete updates undoing changes do not turn off screen

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Stuck-on-could-not-complete-updates-screen/td-p/5766501
Relevancy 60.63%

Dell 1501 did a system recovery, after it showed 73 updates downloaded and installed, restarted and now its been stuck at welcome screen for an hour.
I shut it off and rebooted in safe mode with no issue.
shut down and rebooted normally, and it still stuck at welcome screen( icon is animated).

Did i hose this by shutting it down?
Should i just do a complete recovery again?

A:Vista recovery, 73 updates, stuck on welcome screen

going on 2.5 hours of "welcome" ...
If it hasn't resolved in another hour or so, i am going to do a second recover, and start over.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/274756/vista-recovery-73-updates-stuck-on-welcome-screen/
Relevancy 60.2%

I have a Windows Enterprise x virtual machine that I use as a template in my vSphere environment that I keep up to date with all Windows updates This VM only contains Windows in its disk Last time I was able to fully patch this machine was back in May a few nights ago I tried to update Windows updates and Checking at for Windows 7 Updates stuck updates ... it's stuck at Checking for updates I let it sat there for hours I read several blogs on resetting Windows Updates services stopping BITS and Windows Services then deleting all files in Windows SoftwareDistribution and none of them seem to work I also ran a Windows 7 ... updates stuck at Checking for Updates Windows Update troubleshooting tool that is supposed to Fix problems with Windows Updates - didn't work either as it tries to get updates from the internet Next I decided to create a brand new Windows machine and tried to run Windows Updates nothing still Windows 7 ... updates stuck at Checking for Updates gets hung up at Checking for updates Anyone has any ideas on how to fix Windows Updates so Windows 7 ... updates stuck at Checking for Updates I can get updates It seems that something changed recently that broke it Windows patching seems to work just fine as I've had no issues with my Windows machines Thanks

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fbe997ca-3340-4587-ba5c-a3c573511cdc/windows-7-updates-stuck-at-checking-for-updates?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi tech people! I stupidly tried to fix my dell inspiron laptop as it was not installing any updates. I did a system restore to the oldest point and it is now stuck on the install updates screen.. please do not power off or unplug your machine installing updates. What can I do? Please help I can't afford to buy a new computer yet!! Thank you!

A:did a system restore now stuck on install updates screen

Ok so I got annoyed and switched it back on again by holding down the on off button. It says system restore was interrupted therefore cancelled. It's started up again but it won't install any updates on windows updates. I also can't update any existing software like skype.Any ideas?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/did-a-system-restore-now-stuck-on-install-updates-screen.1111252/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi,

I have a Dell laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium which is stuck on the shutting down screen after I pressed install and shut down computer.

I have left it plugged in so it doesn't run out of battery and shut down.

How do I fix this?

A:My laptop is stuck on shut down screen after installing updates!

Ah, I have exactly the same problem! My Windows 7 Home Premium is an Acer though. You can view my thread for the details of my progress with this problem.

Laptop has been shutting down for 7 hours after update, please help!

Anyway, mine has been stuck for 10 hours total, so I decided to hold down the power button until it's dead. Not a very good idea, but I can't think of any other way. After that, I turned the pc back on. The pc seems to run normally. But then when I shut the pc down again, it decided to install more updates. This is when things get ugly on my part. Sometime during this second shutdown update process, I got a blue screen of death. So yeah, best not follow what I did. But should you decide to hold that power button and then turn the pc back on, I recommend that you set the windows updates settings to "never check for updates" so that when you do a shutdown again, the updates won't install, thus saving your pc from a potential blue screen of death.

Oh yeah, have you ever got a "Failure configuring windows updates. Reverting changes."? I got that at least 2 times already.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/358703-my-laptop-stuck-shut-down-screen-after-installing-updates.html