Windows Support Forum

Lost files on USB drive

Q: Lost files on USB drive

Guys, I Just bought this USB. (Kingston data traveller 4gb) After buying the USB, i put some files in it and then removed it from the laptop properly. But when I put it back, the files are gone! But when I checked the properties, the used space is still the same but I can't seem to see the files I put in there! I tried putting a single picture in the usb and removed it, when i put I plugged it in the laptop, the image is still the there but the previous files I put there was really gone! Crap, I really need those files. Help please. Thanks.
additional info:BTW, I've tried searching the web and it seems that i'am not alone!

and also, every file i put into the folder i made keeps on disappearing whenever I remove the usb and put it back again. T_T

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Lost files on USB drive

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Lost files on USB drive

Hey guys, problem solved. All I had to do was format the USB. And I also tried to recover my files using EASEUS but no luck. My files are gone forever. But at least I've learned my lesson, Always back-up your files. My USB is fixed but my files are gone.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-files-on-usb-drive.163268/
Relevancy 57.19%

Bit of a strange issue here - someone got fired from work and changed the password on the Windows computer before they left I just managed to reset the password yesterday but now the Outlook account has none of their previous emails and the One Drive account files seem to have all gone missing and certain files that were on the Login Password Lost after Outlook Reset: + Files + C Emails Drive One Drive C Drive are all gone and not in recycle bin either When I reset the password I noticed there were three accounts on the computer - USER which is the one I reset since it was the default when starting up computer ADMINISTRATOR didn't touch this one and GUEST didn't touch this either AfterI reset the password I'm pretty sure it was the right one as there were still a few relevant files still on the desktop It's Lost after Login Password Reset: C Drive Files + Outlook Emails + One Drive just everything else seems to have vanished When I search for certain files in the Explorer file names come up but it says that quot the file location has now been changed quot so the shortcut doesn't work

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/lost-after-login-password-reset-c-drive-files-outlook-emails-one-drive-972241.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Dear Sir Madame I was moving video files AVI from an external backup drive WD Element to another external backup drive Seagate expansion after having moved another video file from my laptop Acer to that Seagate external drive The night before I had moved some video files from the WD drive, Was lost not moving recognized to files drive and external all to the Seagate with no problem Was moving files to external drive, drive not recognized and lost all but using a different laptop Sony These video files are all rather large and Was moving files to external drive, drive not recognized and lost all I can tell that the space is still being allocated on the Seagate because while the folder cannot be seen the space that was there is still being used by the Seagate because I am missing over GB which would be about the size of that now missing folder What happened was there was a message that the Seagate drive could not be recognized while the files were in the process of being moved to that drive from the WD This is after I had already moved a video file of about GB with no problem into that now missing folder When I saw the message I attempted several times to move files to that Seagate drive but I could not so I unplugged the Seagate drive from that laptop Acer then reinserted it into the usb port I got a repair message that said it needed to be repaired because some files were corrupted and that no data would be lost but the drive would be unavailable during the repairs so I checked ok It took only about seconds and it said the repairs were completed and the drive was available but I noticed that the folder that I was moving the video files to was not gone As I stated there are more than GB of files in that folder some are video and others are audio recordings that were created by using the myrecording audio and video features of the Acer laptop and they are very important so I need to figure out if they can be retrieved from that Seagate drive I have not copied anything else onto that Seagate drive but I have plugged it into the Acer computer to ensure it is being recognized Both the external drives WD and Seagate are plug and play that are powered from the usb -- they have no power adapters

A:Was moving files to external drive, drive not recognized and lost all

Dear Sir/Madame,
Update to the problem with the missing folder, I use the Acer to record audio and video files to it -- I saw a message that it was low on memory so I decided to connect the WD elements external drive to free up some storage. When I attached the WD Elements drive as the drive booted up to be recognized the missing folder appeared as an option to be opened but the folder never resided on that drive it was on the Seagate drive (the folder is entitled documentary footage moved from WD Elements). I clicked on it just to see what would happen and received this message "E:\Documentary footage from WD Elements is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or Internet, and then try again. If the l."

So I thought let me connect the Seagate to see if Windows will find it there but when I connected the Seagate I still could not access the folder. It appears that for some reason Windows 10 confused that the folder was resident on the wrong drive (WD Elements) during the transfer of files to the original folder at the time it stated it could not access the Seagate drive so perhaps that is the reason the folder became missing.

I do not know what to believe as I still suspect that this is a windows 10 problem and not an external drive problem but I do not know how to fix it. My initial thought is to connect both of the drives and restart the Acer laptop but I am fearful that I will lose all the data from that folder so I have not done anything. I am certain that there will be an update from windows that will force a restart but I did not want to change any of the settings that were in place at the time of this problem.

I still need help with this problem and I need to move files off of the Acer too so that I can free up storage space.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/42377-moving-files-external-drive-drive-not-recognized-lost-all.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I'm a dummy.

I did the TuneUp 2008 30 day trial and while using it, I performed the 1-step clean up or whatever the heck that was. Anyway, the app did a scan for back-up files to delete and went into my recovery partition. (I have an HP Media Center m8100n.) My D: used to be full, now I have a GB of free space. How much trouble am I in? When I got the computer, I did create the DVD recovery back up. I uninstalled the TuneUp trial app. I couldn't reverse the clean up. Can I recover my recovery files?

Relevancy 54.18%

I had a slave drive in a previous machine It had a considerable number of music digital photgraphy and Hard Lost Drive? files on back ups of quot My Documents quot on it When I tried to load it as an external hard drive with adaptor to my newer machine I got an error message that the quot drive was not formatted quot I couldn t open it up in XP under quot My Computer quot It didn t recognize that there was anything there I even tried to Lost files on Hard Drive? reformat the drive out of frustration - and I got the message that the drive couldn t be formatted Now I was able to install the old master drive successfully as an external drive through the USB adapter kit - but when I put in the old slave drive which I did set to master I got all those error messages What can I do if anything to see if those files I had on the old slave drive are still really there How can I get at them Can they be quot rescued quot Is it a problem with settings The drive is a Maxtor gig drive Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 54.18%

Hey guys:

This is ugly. I came home and my drive had no info on it. I can only assume one of my kids did something. I don't know what. I went to Disk Management because the drive shows up missing. It's a raid0 array. The array is fine. But in Disk Management I can see the drive and it says it is "Unallocated Space"?? I know it should say healthy. I did allocate the space but did not do a quick format. I came here first to throw some ideas around. I would ideally like to be able to reverse whatever happened and have all the programs and files I had on there magically re-appear. Fat chance, right? I am using Windows XP Pro SP3.

Thanks

A:Lost all files/folders on a drive!!!

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Read the documentation carefully.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/412098/lost-all-filesfolders-on-a-drive/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi there!

I had some issues with windows 7 so I decided to buy a brand new hard drive and install windows 8 on that.

So I'm using the windows 8 one as primary and it all works out great, AND I can see the old drive and access it. But my entire "profile" with contents are gone?
It should be there, since the amount of GB is the same, but I simply can't find it! (I'm mostly worried about my pictures and music)

I've tried the search function, and I've searched through the folders without any luck :/

Anyone got a clue what's going on?

-
Cheers

A:Lost files on old hard drive?

Hi try something like recuva Recuva - Using Recuva

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/lost-files-on-old-hard-drive-655097.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I work on my school's newspaper. We have a network drive that we use to store all our articles, pictures, pages, etc. Recently, some malicious underclassman deleted the folder that contained the pictures we'd taken so far for our upcoming issue.

So, is there any program that can recover/undelete the files that were lost? Preferably it would be freeware, but we do have some wiggle room in our budget if we need to buy something.

A:Lost files on a network drive.

The first thing you need to do is shut down the server so no one can read or write anything to it. That will only decrease the chances for recovery. There are some members here who have lists of apps you could try. One thing to keep in mind is that you're working on a server. Some of them may not be compatible. You'll also need full Admin rights on the server. If you don't have this, you'll need to find someone who does to help you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-files-on-a-network-drive.748826/
Relevancy 54.18%

I lost a flash drive yesterday with very important files on it. I had it plugged into my computer Monday though, and so the file name of the file I really need is still in 'recent items' on the start menu and also in the list at the top of MS Word. My question is, is there any way to get this file opened up without the flash drive since it's still in recent items? Computers record everything you ever look at somewhere, right? Is there some way I can harness this power to retrieve a file? Any help is much appreciated.

A:getting files off of lost flash drive

Recent Items in Windows Explorer = shortcuts

Recent Documents in Word are similar and need the file source to open. Try it and see.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/getting-files-off-of-lost-flash-drive-523176.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone can help. My dvd drive crashed when i was burning files onto a dvd. now all the files are gone. anyone know what i can do to access the files on the dvd? do data recovery programs really help? has this happened to anyone else? is there a way to retrieve the already burned files, or is it a lost cause?

A:DVD drive crash, lost files

No files left on the hard drive? What program did you use to copy the files to the DVD drive? Can you read the DVD on another computer?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-drive-crash-lost-files.174358/
Relevancy 54.18%

This is an odd one After pulling the win HDD and doing virus and malware scans I copied my quot tool box quot folder over to the root Tool box contains installable Ad-Aware Malwarebytes Spybot and MS security Essientials as well as other tools So I put the HDD back into its computer and boot from drive? all files Lost system win to safe mode with networking When browsing to c ToolBox I noticed Lost all files from system drive? that tool box was the only folder showing ah WTH I installed the apps and ran them Found a few more things amp removed Restarted in normal mode and installed adaware and Security Essientials AdAware ran fine but Security Essientials was taking forever to complete so I aborted Now I turned to my problem of not seeing any files on C even though My Computer showed that it had gig on it I just finished taking ownership of the C and got messages that I could not take ownership of pagefile sys and Hiberfil sys so I KNOW there are files there heck windows boots and there are no windows files on any of the hard drives or partitions Any ideas folks

A:Lost all files from system drive?

Hello,I moved this from WIN7 to Am I Infected.This infection family will also hide all the files on your computer from being seen. To make your files visible again, please download the following program to your desktop:Unhide.exe Once the program has been downloaded, double-click on the Unhide.exe icon on your desktop and allow the program to run. This program will remove the +H, or hidden, attribute from all the files on your hard drives. If there are any files that were purposely hidden by you, you will need to hide them again after this tool is run.Next run Malwarebytes

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/399846/lost-all-files-from-system-drive/
Relevancy 53.75%

i inserted my flash drive-full of files- in to one of the usb ports on a pc computer , and for some inexplicable reason it suddenly asks me if i wanted to reformat the drive.( i clicked No since I believe clicking Yes will wipe out all the files on my flash drive
i checked the properties of the flash drive and it reads 0 bytes whereas just before inserting it had lots of files.
have i lost my files forever? is there anything i can do to retrieve them?

thanks for suggestions and comments

Relevancy 53.75%

It occured when i tried to open internet explorer while google chrome was downloading a file However I have always been able to do this when I attempted it previously so I am not sure what made this time and files failure Drive Hard lost different but after i clicked on internet explorer everything i Hard Drive failure and lost files had open got immediately closed my screen flashed black and when it was back at my desktop all my icons were gone aside from Recycling bin Microsoft Word and Powerpoint and like little message windows opened one after the other saying that files may have been lost because of damage done to the C drive I cannot preform a system restore because it says there are no previous restore points and all of my files documents pictures downloads music programs are no longer on my computer for some reason Is this just a problem with my C drive that can be fixed and restored Or are all of my files gone for good Also my PCtools Spy Doctor ran a scan and said Adware BHO GEN Infections - High Threat I realize I have to get this problem fixed as well I just want to know first if all my files are gone or if there is a way to get them back Anybody who can help I really really appreciate it Thanks Oh and btw I have a Dell Desktop not a laptop if that helps

A:Hard Drive failure and lost files

I had the same issue the other day. I did have 1 restore point but all my personal files are gone, Icons are back for programs and seem to b working somewhat havent tried them all yet. My personal files contained all pics, vids, and receipts for my business for the year I have been told these are still on my computers hard drive I just have to find someone that knows how to locate them! good luck with that without paying outrageous prices for it. I did the virus scan and had a very and deleted them but no luck getting the files back. someone has 2 know what to do and how to fix it please!!!!!!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/428994/hard-drive-failure-and-lost-files/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hey guys I have an acomdata backup hard drive and I used to love it I backup my music recordings on it Yesterday I opened it up to find GB of my files missing I checked files, Hard Lost External drive Help! and according to properties it says they re still Help! Lost files, External Hard drive there GB used but when I check the properties of all the files on the Hard drive it says they re not there GB used I see Help! Lost files, External Hard drive this is a fairly common problem and I ve been reading your advice to others in this situation Installed PC Inspector File Recovery and searched for lost files and its found them sort of It found lost files many of them wavs but none of them are my lost file names or sizes They are all the quot standard size quot mb which I can set on the PC Inspector And they all have the name of a type quot cluster WAV quot but the number varies keeps going up When you add it up the clusters about equal the gb that I lost and I have a real feeling that my files are in there somewhere but when I save the clusters over to my laptop I can t use them at all it s like my files have been chopped up into bits and pieces Please Help Among the missing files is an entire multitrack concert that I played with my band and really don t want to lose Thanks so much Jesse Details The Drive is a FAT Drive my laptop is a Dell Inspiron with WinXP I also have acronis true image don t know why that would be helpful but just being complete nbsp

Relevancy 53.75%

I need to restore a USERDATA that was messed up when I restored my pc, but the program says that one should not save the files to the drive from which they were lost. Why? To me it seems logical to put data files back where you could use them. Does it cause a rerouting error or make an inconvenient second copy? Also, is restored data fully restored, can finally delete it completely from my drive? (23gigs of files, some to keep, some to trash).

All input is greatly appreciated.

A:(Anyone) Why is it disadvised to restore lost files to the drive from which they were

If you have re-installed windows and all of the applications and need to restore all of the data restoring to the same place may not work correctly in a lot of instances for example mail to outlook express, if restored to exactly where it was before it will not be accessible because the mail has to be imported back into outlook express. It is better to restore all of the data to one special directory and them correctly save it where it has to go.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/anyone-why-is-it-disadvised-to-restore-lost-files-to-the-drive-from-which-they-were-281644.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Is there any solution to restore PPT files on Windows Vista installed computer system hard drive?

A:Help to restore lost PPT files from PC hard drive

You could try downloading the free program, Recuva, from the File Hippo website (all very safe). It's very useful for recovering all sorts of files.

Can I assume you've deleted them by mistake?

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/help-to-restore-lost-ppt-files-from-pc-hard-drive.4060893/
Relevancy 53.75%

It occured when i tried to open internet explorer while google chrome was downloading a file However I have always been able to do this when I attempted it previously so I am not sure what made this time different but after i clicked on internet explorer everything i had open got immediately closed my screen flashed black and when it was back at my desktop all my icons were gone aside from Recycling bin Microsoft Word and Powerpoint and like little message windows opened one after the other saying that files may have been lost because of damage done to the C drive I cannot preform a system restore lost failure Drive files Hard and because it says there are no previous restore points and all of my files documents pictures downloads music programs are no longer on my computer for some reason Is this just a problem with my Hard Drive failure and lost files C drive that can be Hard Drive failure and lost files fixed and restored Or are all of my files gone for good Also my PCtools Spy Doctor ran a scan and said Adware BHO GEN Infections - High Threat I realize I have to get Hard Drive failure and lost files this problem fixed as well I just want to know first if all my files are gone or if there is a way to get them back Anybody who can help I really really appreciate it Thanks Oh and btw I have a Dell Desktop not a laptop if that helps

A:Hard Drive failure and lost files

Possibly those files just got hidden.Download Security Check from HERE, and save it to your Desktop. * Double-click SecurityCheck.exe * Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box. * A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.=============================================================================Please download MiniToolBox and run it.Checkmark following boxes:Report IE Proxy SettingsReport FF Proxy SettingsList content of HostsList IP configurationList Winsock EntriesList last 10 Event Viewer logList Installed ProgramsList Users, Partitions and Memory sizeClick Go and post the result.=============================================================================Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free to your desktop. * Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program. * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish. * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. * Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan. * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results. * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. * When completed, a log will open in Notepad. * Post the log back here.Be sure to restart the computer.The log can also be found here:C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txtOr at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt=============================================================================Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main Mirror
This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped Mirror
This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.
GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.IMPORTANT! If for some reason GMER refuses to run, try again.If it still fails, try to UN-check "Devices" in right pane.If still no joy, try to run it from Safe Mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/429128/hard-drive-failure-and-lost-files/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi This is a background of what happened to my laptop My hard drive has two partitions C and P C looks normal but P which has all of my files is empty Properties show that Capacity and Free Space are the same I tried to search a specific partition lost files help Need drive the my from locating that were file that I know is saved in drive P and it shows up under Recent Documents together with the rest of my lost files Only they are shortcuts When I try to open one an error message says quot The drive or network connection that the shortcut quot filename quot refers to is unavailable Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available And then try again I did a System Restore but nothing happened I ran Malwarebytes Spybot SAS RKill TDSKiller SystemLook Unhide exe by following what I found in your forums They found several Trojans Adware Tracking Cookie Microsoft WindowsSecurityCenter FirewallOverride and Microsoft WindowsSecurityCenter AntiVirusOverride So I followed the cleaning instructions but it still did not bring back my files One thing I noticed in Malwarebytes When I do a scan of drive P it scans the C drive instead I did the troubleshooting advised by boopme then I was helped by m le After several Need help locating my files that were lost from the partition drive scans he finally gave me the ok that my laptop is clean and advised me to post here regarding my problem with the lost files When I open Drive P it contains a Recycler Folder and a System Volume Information folder that I can t open Basically Drive P doesn t contain anything Please help I really need those files and I m hoping that they are still in there somewhere still hidden by the after effects of the virus The last virus found is Win AutoRun Hupigon V worm Thanks

A:Need help locating my files that were lost from the partition drive

Hi

I read your other threads and it looks like these were all missing before you started posting and it did not happen while you were going through the process of cleaning with the help here at this forum.

Can you give us any other information about what happened around the time that the files stopped being available?

An important question, since the partition still exists is were they deleted or formatted?

Or did in fact the entire P: partition disappear and you did something to bring it back?

James

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/444355/need-help-locating-my-files-that-were-lost-from-the-partition-drive/
Relevancy 53.75%

My year old was playing with my computer s mouse and when Hard and Lost partitions files drive I got her away from the computer I noticed that my hard Lost Hard drive partitions and files drive partitions were gone I have a gb drive Western Digital drive that I set up to have equal partitions C D E when I installed it As of right now when I view the drive I only have drive C Drive D shows in windows explorer however when Lost Hard drive partitions and files I click on it or try to access any files that are on it I get a device not ready message My E drive does not appear anywhere I went to DOS and tried to browse the files in DOS but the same thing I got a Drive not ready message with the dreaded retry abort fail option I am not a happy camper as you would guess I am glad my C drive is working because I can still use the PC and beg you for help Please let me know asap because I have some valuable stuff on those drive letters that I would hate to lose Thank you in advance nbsp

Relevancy 53.75%

I have a WD external Hard drive that is on the fritz. It is showing that I only have 28 Gigs of space left on a 150 gig drive. I had used the other 122 Gigs, but when I open the drive the folder is no longer present. I tried error check and it said the drive is working properly. Are my files still on the hard drive, and if so how can i find them since the folder that they were in no longer exists? I have looked everywhere on the drive, but the folder and files are gone.

A:Lost Files On External Hard Drive

Try viewing the contents of the drive with SequoiaView.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/172176/lost-files-on-external-hard-drive/
Relevancy 53.32%

I ve been having a lot of trouble lately with a SCSI hard drive I hope someone out there can help Occasionally this seemed to happen when the drive was getting full but I m not sure that had anything to do with it when I would try reading from the drive the activity light would stay on for a while and I would get the error that I referred to in the subject line After this would happen I would run scandisk Most of the time it stated that both copies of FAT did not match but it seemed to fix it without much trouble The hard drive is a Quantum GB partitioned into H: Data Writing To Error may Drive Files or be lost two FAT GB sections F amp H The SCSI card is an AdvanSys Ultra Wide adapter I have an external scanner and an internal CD-R drive that Error Writing To Drive H: Files or Data may be lost are SCSI as well As far as I know the termination is correct To try and fix the problem I backed up my data and repartitioned and formated the drive I thought that had worked but I m still getting the same errors Is my hard drive dead Should I try a low-level format Buy a new SCSI card Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Error Writing To Drive H: Files or Data may be lost

How old is it? Most Quantum SCSI drives have 5 year warranties on them. It does sound like it is going bad to me... I would suggest backing everything up and getting it replaced.

You can check warranty status here:
http://www.quantum.com/support/warranty/wow.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/error-writing-to-drive-h-files-or-data-may-be-lost.32556/
Relevancy 52.46%

Cousin's laptop - Dell Inspiron 6000. XP Home edition was riddled with malware. Prior to complete restore I copied all her documents to external drive. Checked transfer had gone okay and reinstalled laptop by clearing partitions and formatting using NTFS. (She hasn't got original Dell O/S disc etc - but that's another story!) Loading external 20gb Maxtor drive, it says (under computer management) -- 19.07gb unallocated. I cannot access the back up data I transferred last night....all her photos....Any ideas?

Relevancy 52.46%

Hey, I'm currently using Windows 7 and when I turned on my computer today it said something about needing to scan my hard drive. I let it begin but after 30 minutes I decided to turn my computer off because I had to get onto it to reply to an important email. When I rebooted it, I checked the hard drive and its now empty. In disk management it shows up and says its active and healthy, however if I right click onto it I have the option to format it. Also, if I try to drag a file onto it, a window pops up saying "could not find this item, this is no longer allocated in Computer. Verify the items location and try again."

Is there any way to get my files back?

Relevancy 52.46%

I found a notice on my computer that told me I had lost data at H... (my backup, external hard drive). I think there was a yellow triangle on my system tray to indicate this. As soon as I clicked on it, it was gone.There is now nothing in my backup, external hard drive except the names on the folders and files. All are empty.

So how do I copy all files and folders from My Documents to my H drive now? And is there anything else that I probably lost that I should copy also?Thank you in advance.

Relevancy 52.46%

Helo guys I'm having a problem.. I just installed a fresh windows 8 because my system was laging.. during the installation i formatted system drive then c drive and installed new windows on c but after installation I'm seeing that all old windows files(included softwares) are moved to e drive where i had my personal data which is not showing up now..what should i do can anyone help me ??

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584261/i-installed-new-wndows-and-the-old-windows-files-moved-to-other-drive-and-lost/
Relevancy 48.16%

I have been infected with something for a few weeks now. When I was first infected one of those fake antispyware boxes popped up along with a hard drive failure icon. This virus has wiped out all of my pictures and files and redirects me everytime I search on the intenet. I have tried malwarebytes, avg scan, system restore, using the notepad and deleting host files then reseting my internet explorer settings ect... Nothing is working. I have attempted to read a few posts here and am obviously too computer illiterate to do anything further on my own. Any help would be greatly appreciated!Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

A:I am lost! Virus redirecting internet, lost all files and pictures..

BOOT THE PC INTO SAFEMODE WITH NETWORKINGDownloadhttp://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/unhide.exeRun the unhide FIXDownloadTDSSkillerLaunch it.Click on change parameters-Select TDLFS file systemClick on "Scan".Please post the LOG report(log file should be in your C drive) Please download GMER from here(doesnot work on 64 bit OS)http://www2.gmer.net/download.phpTemporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic Full Scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply. DownloadaswMBRLaunch it, allow it to download latest Avast! virus definitionsClick the "Scan" button to start scan.After scan finishes,click on Save logPost the log results here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/443466/i-am-lost-virus-redirecting-internet-lost-all-files-and-pictures/
Relevancy 47.3%

I have a WD Red 2.0 TB drive (1.8 TB formatted) and have been watching it fill up (%used) for some time now. I have lost 1 TB to "unknown" according to WinDirStat. VSS is NOT RUNNING, which I read about in the tutorial here: System Protection - Turn On or Off.

So, what could be eating this space and how do I recover it?

FYI - the usual litany - No viruses; Disk Cleanup was run; Drive diagnostics pass; Chkdsk, defrag, etc. all OK.
Also, the thing I use the drive for is to maintain program libraries. I perform a lot of temporary folder copies and delete old copies. The recycle bin is empty. Have no idea why this space is lost.

A:Lost space on external drive - Lost 1TB of 2TB drive

I've always found WinDirStat results a bit cryptic.

Maybe you can get a more sensible result with a similar free application:

TreeSize Free - Quickly Scan Directory Sizes and Find Space Hogs

The usual suspects are hibernation file, System Restore points, page file, malware/virus, or some program doing something you don't expect it to do. For instance, we recently had a case here where someone was using a cloud backup program that was mis-configured and putting the backups on local drives, rather than in the cloud.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/356568-lost-space-external-drive-lost-1tb-2tb-drive.html
Relevancy 45.15%

First and most important I lost my F drive when I installed a new camera software, and can't find my new pictures to upload them. The new software isn't very good about about helping me find my new pictures.

Second, when I upgraded my computed and changed to Firefox plus IE 8, I lost my Yahoo Favorites List, and I'm lost without it and can't find my sites. Can you help me get my list back.

Please help.

Thank you.

Debbie

A:Lost My F Drive & Lost My Favorites List

I think this is a job for a local trusted computer shop to fix. Be sure they are a good shop though many of them will just try to reformat your computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-my-f-drive-lost-my-favorites-list.793697/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have been having to rights restoring After post-Vista I files reinstall, lost files/folders have problems with my laptop lately to say the least I realized that it came pre-installed with Vista -bit but that I had a -bit processor so I added in an extra gig of RAM and did a clean install of Vista Other than many many devices not working at first including the ethernet controller due to driver issues it After restoring files post-Vista reinstall, I have lost rights to files/folders was working fine I had previously backed up my files in Vista and tried to restore them after the installation but the only way to do this was to use the quot restore from another machine quot option because Vista thought my backups were from another system due to the restore After getting everything to restore correctly I noticed that I had lost many administrator privileges that I had before After a few days I got a blue screen of death and when the system restarted itself it said that a hard drive failue was imminent and I should backup and replace the drive Unfortunately it would not allow me to backup so I had to replace the drive and restore again with the same backup that was from quot another system quot I am having the same problem with rights to files and folders Today for example I was using TuneUp Utilities defragment utility and there were large parts of the drive that were quot locked quot and were not able to be moved I assume this is because I had no rights to them after the restore My question after all that is how can I get the rights to all my files back safely and easily I tried to go directly into the main drive s security options and change everything to quot Full Control quot but was warned that that would be a security risk Can anyone help I d really appreciate it nbsp

A:After restoring files post-Vista reinstall, I have lost rights to files/folders

Anyone? Please

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/after-restoring-files-post-vista-reinstall-i-have-lost-rights-to-files-folders.845428/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi ALl,

My sister was using the laptop browsing on websites and sunddenly the computer went off. Upon restart we could not access Internet Explorer button, the control panel, my computer and all system applications such as them were not visible on the start menu in the corner on the left hand side. All folders/files on the desktop were gone and an antivirus software kept coming up that was not known. I know a bit about computers and run AVG Free in safe mode and removed the anitvirus that was actually the virus itself in form of Trojan virus. This helped slightly but I still cannot see any files/folders that was previous to the virus. AVG now says the computer has no viruses but it is still not back to normal.

Any help will be much appreciated

Nicky

A:Lost personal files/folders, system files unviewable etc.

Let's see, if we can recover your missing features.Download and run UnHideLet me know, if it worked.Then...Download Security Check from HERE, and save it to your Desktop. * Double-click SecurityCheck.exe * Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box. * A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.=============================================================================Please download Farbar Service Scanner (FSS) and run it on the computer with the issue.Make sure the following options are checked:
Internet ServicesWindows FirewallSystem RestoreSecurity Center/Action CenterWindows UpdateWindows DefenderPress "Scan".It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.Please copy and paste the log to your reply.====================================================================================Please download MiniToolBox and run it.Checkmark following boxes:Report IE Proxy SettingsReport FF Proxy SettingsList content of HostsList IP configurationList Winsock EntriesList last 10 Event Viewer logList Installed ProgramsList Devices (do NOT change any settings here)List Users, Partitions and Memory sizeClick Go and post the result.=============================================================================Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free to your desktop. * Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program. * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish. * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. * Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan. * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results. * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. * When completed, a log will open in Notepad. * Post the log back here.Be sure to restart the computer.The log can also be found here:C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txtOr at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt=============================================================================Download aswMBR to your desktop.Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it.If you see this question: Would you like to download latest Avast! virus definitions?" say "Yes".Click the "Scan" button to start scan.On completion of the scan click "Save log", save it to your desktop and post in your next reply.NOTE. aswMBR will create MBR.dat file on your desktop. This is a copy of your MBR. Do NOT delete it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/449986/lost-personal-filesfolders-system-files-unviewable-etc/
Relevancy 44.72%

I am new to burning pictures from my computer to a cd. After successfully burning 2 cd's, on the 3rd attempt, the message exceeds set limit came up. I think I should click delete temporary files, but if I do will the pictures in this file be lost or will they go back to their original location so I can start over with the acceptable limit?

A:Are files lost when I choose delete temporary files before burning cd

Hi and welcome to SevenForums,
How exactly are you adding these images to cd ?
The usual operation is copy and paste or select all of the images and click on burn and choose your burn type data or dvd,
Another option is to use a third party burning utility,
Cheers.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/362137-files-lost-when-i-choose-delete-temporary-files-before-burning-cd.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Windows Started a new account with admin privileges Deleted old account Keep all Files, Deleted Selected files Account, User lost also with admin privileges Selected the quot KEEP FILES quot option Deleted account A folder pops up in desktop with the computer's name Under that folder there was another folder with old user name and under that folder there was yet another folder also with old user name Completely empty Desktop gt COMPUTERNAME USERNAME USERNAME Empty I don't have a restore point to which to retrieve my files Deleted User Account, Selected Keep Files, lost all files The c disk says there is GBs of free space previously I had only All the library from my old user account have been wiped I also checked Recycle Bin which is empty The current account has admin privileges and is set to Deleted User Account, Selected Keep Files, lost all files show hidden files I was told that it might be under c Users I checked that with CMD and two folders were titled quot quot and quot quot they don't show under file explorer I am running Recuva right Deleted User Account, Selected Keep Files, lost all files now but from what I understand that won't be able to restore file names and fragmented files which are both critical I also had an encrypted file with a none standard extension which might be ignored by Recuva

A:Deleted User Account, Selected Keep Files, lost all files

Hello Abe, and welcome to Eight Forums.

I'm not sure what went wrong, but this is a perfect example of why you should always back up anything that you do not want to lose first to be safe.

I hope Recuva may be able to recover your files for you.

Did you have any system images or Windows backups to restore them from?

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/43005-deleted-user-account-selected-keep-files-lost-all-files.html
Relevancy 43.43%

I was trying to cut and paste some files to CD-RW I not & Lost Files did Cut work. to CD Paste Files cut and pasted several files to the cd-rw I clicked on write these files and went through the whole process Once it was Cut & Paste Files to CD did not work. Files Lost done the cd was spit out I inserted the cd to look at the files and they were gone I also checked my previous folders where they were cut and they weren t there either I checked the recycle bin and noticed something interesting Although Cut & Paste Files to CD did not work. Files Lost it appeared to be empty when I clicked on quot Empty Recycle Bin quot it said quot Are you sure you want to delete all files quot We have a back up system in which I was able to take the files from a back up so I put those on my external hard drive Here s where it gets really weird When I insert the cd I have the option to choose quot Write these files quot but there is nothing there When I plug in my external hard drive the recycle bin looks empty but isn t When I unplug my external hard drive the bin is empty So I am wondering if there is a way to quot see quot what files are in my recycle bin In case something like this happens again however I am not cutting and pasting anymore I will copy then double check and then remove Thanks and hope someone can help nbsp

A:Cut & Paste Files to CD did not work. Files Lost

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nero9-free.php

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cut-paste-files-to-cd-did-not-work-files-lost.929838/
Relevancy 42.57%

Hi, 

I've recently upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10 enterprise. I have onedrive account with files synced to cloud, before upgrading i've backed up onedrive files locally in my computer. Some of those files can't be opened after upgrade, formats include
.docx and .xlsx and .png. Most of these files were in direct onedrive main/root folder rather than in subfolders. As i can see those images in subfolders can be opened but not doc and excel files.

How can i view those files again, why have they become corrupt, what could I do in future to prevent these problems

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b92b5132-04a6-4dc3-8696-0e942efdf427/one-drive-files-after-being-restored-from-backed-up-files-in-upgraded-windows-giving-error-message?forum=itproxpsp
Relevancy 41.71%

Hi I hope you files unsupported-lost files guys can help I am old school so i dont know much about computers and have always worked on a company system thats preprogrammed and files unsupported-lost files I was logged in as a user and unable to get places where I might screw things up so now i am working for myself and I think i have screwed something up I have files that wont open I get the message file not supported My music files seem to be missing and my default programs are screwed up for opening things like pictures music files so i ran trend micro hijack and here are my results might as well be in french i cant understand a thing Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashDisp exe C Program Files HP QuickPlay QPService exe C Windows System igfxpers exe C Windows system igfxsrvc exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Seagate SeagateManager FreeAgent Status stxmenumgr exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C Windows ehome ehtray exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnscfg exe C Windows ehome ehmsas exe C Windows system SearchFilterHost exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page https eagent farmersinsurance com ttps eagent farmersinsurance com index html obfuscated R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale en us amp c amp bd Presario amp pf cnnb R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale en us amp c amp bd Presario amp pf cnnb R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName O - Hosts localhost O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO no name - C C A-E - b - D - CECB - no file O - BHO Search Helper - EBF - F- bff-A F-B E AAC B - C Program Files Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack Search Helper SEPsearchhelperie dll O - BHO Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - C Program Files Google Google Toolbar GoogleToolbar dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - AF DE - D - -B FA-CE B AD D - C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier swg dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO Windows Live Toolbar Helper - E A DC - - A - EA-DC EC ACF - C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar wltcore dll O - BHO Search Assistant - F A - B- E - A - F B D - C Program Files SGPSA BHO dll O - Toolbar Google Toolbar - C B - - d - B - A CD F - C Program Files Google Google Toolbar GoogleToolbar dll O - Toolbar amp Windows Live Toolbar - FA EF- D- D - B F- A D - C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar wltcore dll O - Toolbar no name - FEBEFE - B - - D -FFB D B CA - no file O - HKLM Run avast C PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exe O - HKLM Run Windows Defender ProgramFiles Windows Defender MSASCui exe -hide O - HKLM Run QPService quot C Program Files HP QuickPlay QPService exe quot O - HKLM Run NetFxUpdate v quot C Windows Microsoft NET Framework v netfxupdate exe quot v GAC NI NID O - HK... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/files-unsupported-lost-files.894669/
Relevancy 41.71%

Hi everyone!
I have an external 931Gb Seagate disk.
I wanted 5 partitions and it came out with 3 logical drives and 2 primary (all healthy)
After an infection with ransonware I had to delete one from the 2 primary partitions but suddenly
at the same time got unallocate one from the 3 logical drives too, like if they was connected (?).
So I lost everything in it which there was very important backups not infected.
Is there an easy way to allocate again this logical drive and find again the files was in it?
Why happened this? Is it normal?
Thank you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/394888-lost-logical-drive-after-deleted-primary-drive.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Posted this in hopes of helping someone with this situation..

While attempting to burn a data dvd my xp system hung... restarted and poof... no DVD and no harddrive which were on the secondary ide channel... they were not appearing in my computer nor system hardware/control panel.
I even tried restoring winxp to prev ok point. No good!

Heres how I solved it... I had to manually eject the dvd from the drive via the little secret hole using a paperclip, removed the dvd and reboted... the secondary drives appeared once again like nothing ever happened.

Hope this helps someone some day.

JTBEST1

A:Lost hard drive & dvd drive SOLVED

JTBEST1,

Thanks for sharing your tip. I personally have not seen it happen.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-hard-drive-dvd-drive-solved.283071/
Relevancy 39.99%

Hey, I wanted to free space for my C Drive because it only has 148 gigabytes to my D Drive cause it has 1 terabyte but then when i did so everything stopped working and now I don't know what to do, I can only get google to work through my start menu, I cant even open any files in my computer to back it up or change to factory default. If anyone knows how to fix this please Tell em :C

A:I Moved All My C Drive Files Into My D Drive files and nothing works

You can move DATA, but not application programs.  Even in the case of data, you have to go back and update the default locations of where the apps will expect to find it.  In the case of applications, the only way to move them from C: to another partition is to uninstall, then reinstall them.  This includes but is not limited to anything in the Program Files and Windows folders.

Good luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/537522/i-moved-all-my-c-drive-files-into-my-d-drive-files-and-nothing-works/
Relevancy 39.99%

HI! WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME! I HAD SET UP A USER ACCOUNT THAT WAS NOT PASSWORD PROTECTED, BUT AFTER A WHILE DECIDED TO SET UP AN ACCOUNT THAT WAS PASSWORD PROTECTED. I SAVED MY FILES FROM THE OLD ACCOUNT AND CREATED THE NEW ONE. NOW I CAN'T FIND MY OLD FILES! I CAN'T FIND MY PICTURES, MUSIC OR ANYTHING! THE ONLY THING I DO HAVE ARE GAMES I DOWNLOADED, BUT EVERYTHING ELSE IS GONE! CAN ANYONE HELP ME? THANKS!

A:lost files

Hi to BC,

go into my computer and see if there is a folder that has the name of the old user account, if there is then there should be all of the files in there.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/318102/lost-files/
Relevancy 39.99%

I am using Adobe Photoshop 3.0 with my Windows XP and keep losing or missing files. How can I locate and reconnect these jpeg files ?

Relevancy 39.99%

Folks I have been looking at all the win min messages But am still bamboozled Win min lost files and Also yesterday I came home and my PC looked just as it did the day I bought it but that s not how I wanted it to be All my files photos the lot have disappeared and so tonight I bought McAfee Security Center When this was scanning all my quot lost quot files were happily being scanned So they are somewhere on the C drive I beleive Help What can I do to retreive my quot lost quot files Win min and lost files and how can I quickly get rid of this win min thing and stop the porn popping up My kids are sick of it too My log is below Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system logonui exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe c PROGRA mcafee com vso mcvsrte exe C WINDOWS System nvsvc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe c PROGRA mcafee com vso mcshield exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Documents and Settings All Users Start Menu Programs Startup winlogon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Documents and Settings TEMP PETE-NANA Local Settings Temp Temporary Directory for hijackthis zip HijackThis exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www microsoft com isapi redir dll prd ie amp pver amp ar msnhome R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard Shellnext http www microsoft com isapi redir dll prd ie amp ar runonce amp pver amp plcid x O - Hosts auto search msn com O - BHO no name - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO Httper - A - C- DD-AF - BD B - C Program Files Httper httper dll O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocx O - Toolbar McAfee VirusScan - BA B -B - c -B - F F - c progra mcafee com vso mcvsshl dll O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE NvQTwk NvCplDaemon initialize O - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe install O - HKLM Run NeroCheck C WINDOWS system NeroCheck exe O - HKLM Run InCD C Program Files Ahead InCD InCD exe O - HKLM Run CloneCDElbyCDFL quot C Program Files Elaborate Bytes CloneCD ElbyCheck exe quot L ElbyCDFL O - HKLM Run Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Share-to-Web hpgs wnd exe O - HKLM Run HPDJ Taskbar Utility C WINDOWS System spool drivers w x hpztsb exe O - HKLM Run WinAuth C WINDOWS winlogon exe O - HKLM Run Windows Security Assistant C WINDOWS system rundll vbe O - HKLM Run VSOCheckTask quot c PROGRA mcafee com vso mcmnhdlr exe quot checktask O - HKLM Run VirusScan Online quot c PROGRA mcafee com vso mcvsshld exe quot O - HKLM Run MCAgentExe c PROGRA mcafee com agent mcagent exe O - HKLM Run MCUpdateExe C PROGRA mcafee com agent mcupdate exe O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS System ctfmon exe O - HKLM RunOnce DELDIR EXE quot C DOCUME TEMP LOCALS Temp DELDIR EXE quot quot C Program Files McAfee McAfee Shared Components Guardian quot O - Global Startup Date Manager lnk C Program Files Date Manager DateManager exe O - Global Startup PrecisionTime lnk C Program Files PrecisionTime PrecisionTime exe O - Global Startup GStartup lnk C Program Files Common Files GMT GMT exe O - Global Startup winlogon exe O - Global Startup Microsoft Office lnk C Program Files Microsoft Office Office OSA EXE O - Extra button Messenger HKLM O - Extra Tools menuitem Windows Messenger HKLM O - WWW Prefix http O - DPF B CFB- - -A -C A C Checkers Class - http messenger zone msn com binary msgrchkr cab O - DPF B BCA- F C- CF- - Shockwave ActiveX Control - http download macromedia com pub shockwave cabs director sw cab O - DPF F-F B- B D- DF- B B Minesweeper Flags Class - http messenger zone msn com binary MineSweeper cab O - DPF BC F - A - D -BEB - AA B AE Symantec AntiVirus scanner - http security syman... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-min-and-lost-files.199343/
Relevancy 39.99%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3793 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, 1704 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 148010 MB, Free - 25247 MB; E: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 172148 MB; Q: Total - 13999 MB, Free - 2120 MB;
Motherboard: LENOVO, 2344BNU
Antivirus: None
I am using Photoshop Elements 7.0 and while trying to copy photos to a DVD something occurred placing a small golden colored question mark in the upper left corner of each photo. Now anytime I try to do anything with that photo it begins a search but cannot locate where the photo is. How do I reverse whatever caused this?
Thank you!

A:Lost files

Use data recovery tool to recover lost files, it is the bast bay to files recovery. Visit file recovery apps www.recoverdeletedfiles.org

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-files.1127274/
Relevancy 39.99%

I am trying to get my neighbors computer running for her and am having a really hard time with it There are about so far dll files missing and only have found three of them to download Now the problem I am mainly having is after I download them to a CD to put in her system either I cannot unzip them because I don t have Express Zip or when I place them in the correct folder going by online instruction either I get another error message or it says being Lost dll files used by windows somewhere else I don t know what to do I am at my wits end yet am determined to help her Having this done else where could cost her a lot of Lost dll files money The op syst she has is Windows ME I Lost dll files don t know much else about her system at this point I downloaded a repair program which was the ONLY thing that would load in her system Lost dll files and when it was done scanning it needed to go to the net for the repairs I cannot reinstall her ISP because of the missing files What do I do The files it says are missing or corrupt are winmm dll wnim dll winsuck dll EGCOMSERVICES dll kernel dll I got winmm dll to go to windows system folder but now it says that it the dll is linked to a missing export NTDLL DLL NtQueryVirtualMemory Do I need to download this as well Kernal dll will not go to the system folder because it says that it is being used be windows somewhere else What do I do about this I was able to get wnim dll downloaded but it is zipped and I cannot afford to buy this Express Zip it says I need However I cannot seem to find this particular dll anywhere else other than this site The other two seem to be non-existant as no one has these available for download I have very little experience doing something like this but I need to as I have graduated from Graphic Design and need to know my way around the computer The last thing is that at one point last night it said that either sdkdu caused an error with kernel or vise vera and sdkdu will now close What is SDKDU and how crucial is it Do I need to do something about this as well Thank you so much in advance for any help you can give me Any will be more helpful than what I have been receiving since I started this Should I have to completely reformat and reinstall she doesn t have an ME disk I have a disk but I have no idea how to find what drivers she has and what she has onboard as opposed to downloadables If you could let me know how to handle that as well it will be more than greatly appreciated jnsangel nbsp

Relevancy 39.99%

Hi,

I was having issues with my USB, it wouldn't let me copy anything into it. So I gave into the popup menu which was asking me to scan and fix. So I did that so it will auto replace the file names that had errors in it. Excellent news is that I can copy things into the USB. However, I noticed a lost some of my important photo files! I do not have a copy of those anywhere else. The ones on my USB were my last backup.. Is there a way that I can retrieve the old files back?

Please respond ASAP,

Thank you for your time.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-lost-files.1171072/
Relevancy 39.99%

Hello I just joined hoping someone could help me I have lost important wma files downloaded from an olympus digital recorder through a series of nightmares that started like this I saw an ad for quot privacykeeper quot and downloaded it while searching for Spybot actually it sounded useful As I started running it it kept freezing files lost wma so I thought forget this and went to close it My computer crashed locked up and would not reboot giving me a message it could not read the boot file I believe My sister gave me a disc I ran it got me into my laptop again and I did a system restore back to a checkpoint before lost wma files the nightmare began I discovered everything was still in the pc except my wma files which existed before the restore point I chose were gone They were in my documents I then bought quot R-undelete quot on the web ran it and it found all the wma s except three I restored the ones I found but now mediaplayer will not play them saying quot Windows Media Player cannot play the file The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file quot It played them fine before the crash so why would a quot codec quot be an issue now I also downloaded the recovered wma s to discs but they won t play either getting the same message I was hoping someone could tell me if there is anything I could do to play these again and also how to find my precious lost wma s I have ried using the search on the start menu to no avail Any help would be so appreciated- thank you nbsp

Relevancy 39.99%

Can someone please, please, please help me. My cd-rom broke down and I had to do a system recovery. Unfortunately I lost all my photographs as I couldn't back up the files due to the problem with the cd-rom. I know the photos are in that box somewhere but how can I retrieve them, hopefully its an easy solution as am not very good with jargon.

Your best chance at recovering the files is to use a file recovery utility. Here are a few that have taken from a post on Expert Exchange forum.

FREE TOOLS

PC INSPECTOR
http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm
File Recovery is a data recovery program that supports the FAT 12/16/32 and NTFS file systems. The current version 3.x replaces the previous version 2.x, which is now over 6 years old.

Restoration
http://hccweb1.bai.ne.jp/~hcj58401/REST2514.EXE
For 9x/NT/2K/XP. Restore deleted files that are no longer in the Recycle Bin!

Tool to check and undelete partition
Works with the following partitions:
- FAT12 FAT16 FAT32
- Linux
- Linux SWAP (version 1 and 2)
- NTFS (Windows NT)
- BeFS (BeOS)
- UFS (BSD)
- Netware
- RaiserFS
http://www.cgsecurity.org//testdisk.html
-------------------------------

NOT FREE

EasyRecovery DataRecovery is a simple, yet powerful tool that recovers data that is lost, inaccessible or deleted. It's the ultimate do-it-yourself solution for nearly all causes of data loss (except physical hardware or system problems) where your hard drive and system are fully functional.
http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecoverydatarecovery/

File Rescue 2.5
Web:http://www.file-rescue.com/

GetDataBack for FAT
GetDataBack will help you retrieve your files if the hard drive's partition table, boot record, FAT, or root directory have been damaged by a virus, formatting, fdisk or power failure. GetDataBack can even recover your data when the drive is no longer recognized by Windows.

GetDataBack for NTFS
Recover your files when the data is no longer accessible due to formatting, fdisk, virus attack, power or software failure. Get everything back even when the drive's partition table, boot record, Master File Table or root directory is lost or corrupt.
Hard Drives
Partitions
Floppy Drives
Drive Images
Zip/Jaz Drives
http://www.runtime.org/

Norton Utilities/SystemWorks
The Norton Protected Recycle Bin helps you recover deleted and overwritten files.
The UnErase wizard helps you retrieve files you've accidentally deleted.
http://www.symantec.com/nu/nu_9x/features.html

For NTFS
http://www.restorer2000.com/r2k.htm

Data Recovery
http://www.dtidata.com/
Fast File Undelete
http://www.dtidata.com/products_ff_undelete.asp

Undelete
http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/undelete.stm

File Recover 2000
http://www.filerecover.com/

R-Tools
http://www.r-tt.com/

File Restore
If you've deleted your data and you want to get it back, you need FileRestore.
FileRestore is a simple, easy-to-use tool for recovering files that have been lost or deleted from your Windows system. Designed for Windows XP, 2000, NT, Me, and 9x
http://www.winternals.com/products/r...ilerestore.asp

Disk Commander
In virtually any situation where you need to recover lost data from a Windows system, Disk Commander is the solution. Disk Commander performs a wide range of data recovery operations.
http://www.winternals.com/products/r...kcommander.asp

DFSee
http://www.dfsee.com/
As a tool to 'UNDELETE' files that have been accidentaly deleted.
This feature is implemented for HPFS and NTFS only.

MRECOVER
http://kristenonline.com/lain/cih/mrecintro.htm

Emergency Undelete
I believe this is free
For Win2000 and NT may work on XP
http://www.c2000.com/software/#win2000

Back2Life
http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/57588.html

Hard Drive Mechanic
http://www.highergroundsoftware.com/6.html
It's true. Even if you just re-formatted your entire hard drive, you can still get all of your data back because, unlike what most people believe, formatting does NOT erase your files! With Hard Drive Mechanic's Unformat Feature, you can restore all of your valuable data in about 10 minutes!
demo version:
http://www.highergroundsoftware.com/downloads2.htm

Filerecovery for Windows
http://www.lc-tech.com/filerecovery.asp
Filerecovery for Windows® is a safe and affordable do-it-yourself data recovery solution that is designed to re... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-files.521611/
Relevancy 39.99%

When I turned on my laptop all my files, icons, documents were gone. I tried to restore but all is still missing. I use Windows 7. Please help! Thank you.

A:All Files Lost

System Restore (if that's what you used) doesn't restore user files or documents, pictures etc. It's purpose is to restore proper Windows functionality when something isn't working the way it should. That's why it's essential to keep backups of your files on a second drive, since all hard drives fail one day, there's no avoiding that certainty.

Files which suddenly disappear often means the drive is starting to fail with bad sectors where your files were saved.
I would test the drive with Seagate SeaTools (DOS or Windows version, depending on whether the Windows version will run without crashing). Click Downloads on this page: http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

If you need to use the DOS version of SeaTools you have to create a CD from the SeaTools for DOS ISO file, which you can do by installing and using IMGBurn from here: http://filehippo.com/download_imgburn/

When you've made the CD, boot your faulty laptop from it and SeaTools will eventually open (you may have to set the CD-ROM drive as the first boot device in the BIOS settings in order for your laptop to boot from a CD).
In SeaTools, select your laptop's hard drive and test it with the long test.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/all-files-lost.1062262/
Relevancy 39.99%

Hi I have no idea how my laptop got infected by this virus I suspect that it was from an infection help. had. Lost the files Please of I 50% two days ago accidentally visited a shady site Two days ago laptop was infected by a virus but Microsoft Security Essentials quot Successfully cleaned it quot and nothing seemed different so I left it at that A few hours ago my computer started becoming slow as though programs were running in the background Then the usual fake virus scans popped up and internet connection was also blocked I could not do anything So I ran system restore It failed the first time but the second and only one left restore point worked and here I am Nothing pops up anymore but I lost a good chunk of the stuff Please help. Lost 50% of the files I had. that I had on my desktop I'm not expecting to recover them but I really just want to make sure that my computer is clean now I'm a college student and I desperately need my laptop during this period Sorry for the long story here are the logs DDS Ver - - - NTFSAMD Internet Explorer Run by beancurd at on - - Microsoft Windows Home Premium GMT - Please help. Lost 50% of the files I had. AV Microsoft Security Essentials Enabled Outdated DAC -C - B -BB - DA SP Microsoft Security Essentials Enabled Outdated ABEC DA -E C- F - B -AA E D BDD SP Windows Defender Disabled Outdated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF Running Processes C Windows system wininit exe C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS C Program Files Microsoft Security Client Antimalware MsMpEng exe C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Program Files Dell DellDock DockLogin exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Program Files Dell Dell Wireless WLAN Card WLTRYSVC EXE C Windows system WLANExt exe C Program Files Dell Dell Wireless WLAN Card bcmwltry exe C Windows system conhost exe C Windows System spoolsv exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SASCORE EXE C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA AERTSr exe C Program Files Common Files Nitro PDF Reader NitroPDFReaderDriverServicex exe C Program Files x Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack SeaPort SeaPort exe C Windows system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSVC EXE C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSvcM exe C Program Files Microsoft Security Client Antimalware NisSrv exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows system taskhost exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RAVCpl exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files Dell QuickSet quickset exe C Program Files Dell Dell Wireless WLAN Card WLTRAY EXE C Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint ipoint exe C Windows System igfxtray exe C Windows System hkcmd exe C Windows System igfxpers exe C Program Files Microsoft Security Client msseces exe C Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SUPERANTISPYWARE EXE C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Program Files x Steam Steam exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPHelper exe C Windows system SearchIndexer exe C Program Files x Pasco scientific DataStudio PASPortal exe C Program Files Dell DellDock DellDock exe C Program Files x CyberLink PowerDVD DX PDVDDXSrv exe C Program Files x Roxio Roxio Burn RoxioBurnLauncher exe C Program Files x Dell Webcam Dell Webcam Central WebcamDell exe C Program Files x Phoenix Technologies Ltd FailSafe FailSafeNotifier exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation C Windows system SearchProtocolHost exe C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServicePeerNet C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe C Windows system DllHost exe C Program Files x Common Files Steam Ste... Read more

A:Please help. Lost 50% of the files I had.

Hello beancurd89.

Please note that these fixes are not instantaneous. Most infections require more than one round to properly eradicate.

Please stay with me until given the 'all clear' even if symptoms seemingly abate.

Kindly follow my instructions and please do no fixing on your own or running of scanners unless requested by a helper.

------------------------------------------------------

If there are any personal files, pics, etc. on your computer you cannot live without, back them up now just as a precaution.

Emergency Backup Procedure - Tech Support Forum

Please download ComboFix and Save it to your Desktop.

**Note: It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**

* Ensure you have disabled all antivirus and antimalware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

Get help here

Double-click ComboFix.exe and follow the prompts to run it.

Your desktop may go blank. This is normal. It will return when ComboFix is done. ComboFix may reboot your machine. This is normal.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please post that log, C:\ComboFix.txt, in your next reply.

Please re-enable your antivirus before posting the ComboFix.txt log.

If you get an 'Illegal operation attempted on a Registry key which has been marked for deletion' error message, please reboot your machine.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/please-help-lost-50-of-the-files-i-had-624541.html
Relevancy 39.99%

How do I restore files to my computer after reinstalling XP Pro due to authenticity problems. I have found the programs etc on the c: drive but don't know how to restore them. Thanks

did you do a repair install?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/lost-files-414804.html
Relevancy 39.99%

Tried to open My Documents to get a file, but my files seem to have disappeared. Only 4 main File Folders,

My Music, My Pictures, Updater5, Wonlog.

I don't know where they went too. I know there is a copy on the my computer somewhere, but who knows where. I use XP office.

Please help before all my hair goes grey lol

Thx

A:Oh No! Lost files

If you have more than one user on your computer, be sure to logon in your name. If you are the administrator, you should find your documents under:
C:\Documents and Settings\your name\My Documents

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/oh-no-lost-files.545222/
Relevancy 39.99%

OK, I logged onto my desktop PC as normal, however upon logging in I was informed that the links from all my icons had been lost. So naturally I went to execute my anti virus software and anti maleware programs. However I have found I cannot execute the files, I can find the .exe files, but they do nothing.

So if there is something I cant find it, but also I cant get onto the internet either so I cant do an online scan from my anti virus provider.

Anyone have any ideas? Because right now my PC is like a vegetable, I know maybe reinstalling windows would probably cure it, but i'd rather not do that.

A:Lost .exe Files, Some How

Lets have a deeper look as to what's going on with your system by creating a hijackthis log. This will help us to identify and remove the malware files responsible for your problems.Please read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log".When you have done that, post a log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, not here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts.If you cannot get HijackThis to run, then try renaming it to something else. Open the HijackThis folder, find the file HijackThis.exe, right click on the file and select rename. You may have to change the .EXE extension to something else such as .BAT, .COM, .PIF, or .SCR.Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post the log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. Please include the top portion of the HijackThis log that lists version information. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix.It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy. Please be patient as they are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have no replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response, a team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/58120/lost-exe-files-some-how/
Relevancy 39.99%

Hi guys I have a USB pen drive which has a lot of work on it I have just tried to zip one of the folders inside it up to attach it to an email using WinZip I noticed that as it was zipping the folder it said there was an error so I selected ok and expected to have to try again but the file appeared to be zipped However it has not only zipped that file but also every other file and folder on the pen drive and not only that but if I try and unzip it it says quot cannot open the file it does not zip files after Lost seem to be a valid archive quot tried with winRAR and that says quot no Lost files after zip valid archive quot I have tried to recover the zip file using quot Ziprepair pro quot and quot recovery toolbox for ZIP quot these programs do not even recognise there being any files inside the zip Lost files after zip file Any suggestions Lost files after zip The folder that I zipped was inside two other folders winzip seems to have left those two folders alone so when I enter my pen drive i navigate through those two folders still to get to the file i zipped up however absolutely everything else has disappeared that was on the pen drive leaving just the zipped file and the two folders leading to it Any help would be greatly appreciated and would save me a lot of work Cheers nbsp

Relevancy 39.99%

I recently had a virus and my files were deleted when the hard drive was formatted. On another forum, it was suggested that I use a program called "Recova" and that he was able to recover most of his by doing a deep scan using this program. Anyone heard or used this program with any results?

Relevancy 39.99%

First off I FILES help! LOST please want to thank every one in adavace for LOST FILES please help! helping me I want to give you a little back ground first I have windows xp home edition with three accounts on it Two days ago I got a bug on my computer that would not let me keep any windows open and would not let me roll back my computer to a earlier time So in safemode I went to all three folders and put all the files I wanted saved into the my documents in each account Well after I went through the f at the startup screen and did the format that was supposed to take it back to factory settings and save a you files but when started it up I found the files for the three accounts in the c drive but only two accounts files were their and the owner file says that is can not find it when I click on it And of all three folders I needed this one the most it had of G s of very important files and after all this my question is what is going on and if my files are lost how can I get them back PS I v have already searched for them and can t find them Thanks Again for the help nbsp

Relevancy 39.99%

I had to restore my computer back to factory settings recently with help from a support help desk. I backed up everything, or so I thought. I had to load in software again and now today I am trying to find my family history files which I made using Family Tree and Family Tree 4. They aren't there! I just don't know where to look. Have I really lost them? It is hours of work and I didn't print out more than a fraction of them. Will I have the backup anywhere? I don't understand these things very well so hope someone can put me out of my misery please. (Not sure if this is in the right forum. Apologies if it isn't.)

A:Have I lost my files?

When the computer was returned to the factory settings it overwrote the files from the previous installation, this usually will mean that any personal information that was stored on the same partition will be lost. There are forensic recovery techniques that can be applied, but they are very expensive. Once a file or parts of it are over written conventional methods can't retrieve the data.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/202289/have-i-lost-my-files/
Relevancy 39.99%

Hi guys, good day!

I just have a little trouble here. A few days ago I run disk clean up on my C: drive. And during that time I accidentally lost some programs, and those are the games (solitaire, freecell, minesweeper, hearts, pinball), calculator, and also when I click on Help and Support in my start menu it won't open.

Is there a way to have those programs again. Another thing the last restore point that I have is the one after I run disk clean up. I think the only chance to have those again is to download but I dont know where I already tried looking at the Microsoft and windows websites.

Can someone help me?!

Relevancy 39.99%

I recently ran Norton NPE,exe and Norton removed my files to scan them. How do I get them back, Thanks FEIC
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor, x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3071 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 70896 MB, Free - 37369 MB; F: Total - 70904 MB, Free - 67366 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5QL-E
Antivirus: Norton 360, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Hi,
Is this the tool you ran? http://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.aspx?
Can you explain why it was needed and how did it remove your files?

Also, were these files docs, photos etc? Do you have backups?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-files.1028594/
Relevancy 39.99%

I mistakenly deleted files that weren't suppose to be deleted, and I have my name on one of my c:/ file so I cant do much. I'm learning how to code when I used the debugger to help me find the issue it said KeyError:'C:/Users?reymundo'/ what do I have
to do

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/781c9d0e-97e0-4f86-b76a-e13a28516aa6/lost-c-files?forum=w8itproperf
Relevancy 39.99%

I think I have a similar problem as post topic: hxxp://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic283135.htmlThis occured while my daughters were using the computer.Attached is the files as was requested in the original topic283135Any help greatly appreciated, thanks, weistkEdit: Moved topic from Win 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

A:Files lost?

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.Please take note:If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If you are unable to create a log because your computer cannot start up successfully please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.If you are unable to perform the steps we have recommended please try one more time and if unsuccessful alert us of such and we will design an alternate means of obtaining the necessary information.If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review your topic an do their best to resolve your issues.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HEREWe also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit Scanner. Please note that if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows you will not be able to run GMER and you may skip this step.Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal AdviceThen create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:How to create a GMER logThanks and again sorry for the delay.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/399338/files-lost/
Relevancy 39.99%

I deleted some important files. Is there a possibility to restore them ?

Relevancy 39.99%

I recently lost my .pst files during a computer crash. Tech guys said a partition failed but kept original hard drive and reloaded data. The .pst files are not where they should be and do not know where to find them. Any ideas would be helpful. Thank you.

A:.pst files lost

search for *.pst? You may need to take ownership on the reloaded data since the original hard drive/reloaded data permissions would have orphan sid permissions.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pst-files-lost.1027749/
Relevancy 39.99%

I am using Windows XP Pro SP3. I was attempting to move one folder (full of photos etc) into another folder. The files are located on an external drive (usb powered). Apparently the drive had "gone to sleep" and when I clicked to drag the folder into a different folder, everything froze for a few seconds until the drive "awoke" (I HATE SLEEPING DRIVES!). Anyways, the files started going into the wrong location. So I hit cancel. Once I did that I lost the majority of my files in the original folder and cannot find them. NOTE: I actually hit Control>Z and tried to undo what I did in windows explorer but got a message saying there was already a folder by that name (Folder1) in that place.

How do I get my files back? I checked the trash and they are not there

Thx,
median

A:Lost Files - PLEASE HELP!

Files don't normally just vanish...even if the transfer of such is interrupted abruptly.

Use the following tool to search all drives for the files in question, Everything Desktop Search, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/everything-desktop-search/ .

If, in fact, the files have "disappeared", you can then try recovery software.

You can search for all graphics files...by just entering *.jpg or whatever file extension your files are using.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/489088/lost-files-please-help/
Relevancy 39.99%

Had ME installed XP Pro... now the only icon i have is the recycle bin.. how do i get them all back help please

Relevancy 39.99%

Somehow vital files were deleted like Motherboard, ethernet drive to mention two. I can NOT get onto the Internet-I am at the library. Can anyone tell me where I can get these files as I can't afford a new computer. Many thanks. Will be back at the library Wednesday Australia time.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Lost-files/td-p/5647044
Relevancy 39.99%

My computer was recently in for repair. I told the technician under no account were any files to be deleted/erased. When I got the computer home after repair I noticed that although my files were indeed 'untouched' (not deleted) they were however in a 'place' where I knew I would have trouble finding. I made a mental note that I would get back to finding my photos later. I had to download and re-install my security system first and foremost as well as Windows updates. One of these Windows Updates (Service Pack 3 maybe) advised to back-up my files before installing. I didn't.
Now I can't find these files/photos/pictures anywhere on my computer. There were over 4000.
Have I lost these for good ? Or is there a way to recover them ?

Relevancy 39.99%

Just uninstalled a program on a drive using the programs uninstall device. Not only uninstalled that program but everything else on that drive. I've managed to recover all programmes, but the folders within these are empty (Mostly photo's) Any advice on how to recover these files would be much appreciated.

Could try http://www.recovermyfiles.com/
Also check Google search http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=recover+lost+files&tg=dl-2001&search=+Go!+

&
[tsg=welcome][/tsg]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-files.176341/
Relevancy 39.99%

Over the weekend I updated from Win to Windows When this happened I had to do a search to find the old files and folders found on my desktop as they were not automatically put on my Windows desktop When I Files I Lost Help Please, my found those folders it was listed under something like C Users MyComp Desktop I cut Help Please, I Lost my Files this folder and pasted it on my Windows desktop I also added excel files to my desktop The next morning I turned on my computer and it said the battery was about to die Help Please, I Lost my Files and to plug in the computer and press F to start I plugged it in and hit F -- the problem was that the cord was not connected to an outlet that was working it is an outlet connected to my light switch and after a few moments my computer fully turned off I realized the mistake turned the light switch to On and then turned my comptuer back on When the computer started again the desktop no longer had my cut and paste folder quot desktop quot and no longer had the excel files I saved the night prior to that desktop When searching for and files that were on my old desktop in that folder named quot desktop quot i now cannot find any Under quot Quick Access quot I found a tab that is titled quot Recent Files quot and under it include some of the files in my old desktop and also the excel files When I click the links however I get an error message saying it cannot find the file and it may have been renamed or deleted When searched for a restore point it said that there were not any set up I did not select the option to return to Windows because I did not know if that would cause more harm than good I found an option to restore File History - which is part of a help but the most recent option is Oct th and I have important files saved more recently than that point though that is better than nothing Can anyone please offer me help thank you in advance to anyone who can nbsp

Relevancy 39.99%

All of my music files from my computer are missing..
What is the best (FREE) program for recovering missing files? and...
Is it possible to recover them to a mp3 player, instead of a USB flashdrive?

because I can't recover to the same drive right?

A:Lost Files!

need help please...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-files.432619/
Relevancy 39.99%

Hello everyone, i'm really new to the thread, but I hope I get a chance to speak to everyonne. I'm having some problems recovering changed or moved files. I wont let me open it up and i've tried everything possible.

Sorry for some of the mispelled words

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/lost-files-175588.html
Relevancy 39.99%

Hi everyone ... I need help with my pc.
Every time I switch on my pc is come this message :
" this application has failed to start because standard.dll and szhistui.dll was not found .Re-installing the application may fix this problem. "
How can I re-installing ?
PLEASE I need help !!!
ciao
Fabiospzz

A:lost some files

Hi, and welcome to TSF!

Do you have the program StopZilla installed? If so, reinstall that and it should fix the error.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/lost-some-files-179154.html
Relevancy 39.99%

Over the weekend I updated from Win to Windows When this happened I had to do a search to find the old files and folders found on my desktop as they were not automatically put on my Windows desktop When I found those folders it was listed under something Files Help I Please, my Lost like C Users MyComp Desktop I cut this folder and pasted it on my Windows desktop I also added excel files to my desktop The next morning I turned on my computer and it said the battery was about to die and to plug in the computer and press F to start I plugged it in and hit F -- the problem was that the cord was not connected to an outlet that was working it is an outlet connected to my light switch and after a few moments my computer fully turned off I realized the mistake turned the light switch to On and then turned my compuer back on When the computer started again the desktop no longer had my 'cut and paste' folder quot desktop quot and no longer had the excel files I saved the night prior to that desktop When searching for and files that were on my old desktop in that folder named quot desktop quot i now cannot find any Help Please, I Lost my Files Under quot Quick Access quot I found a tab that is Help Please, I Lost my Files titled quot Recent Files quot and under it include some of the files in my old 'desktop' and also the excel files When I click the links however I get an error message Help Please, I Lost my Files saying it cannot find the file and it may have been renamed or deleted When searched for a restore point it said that there were not any set up I did not select the option to return to Windows because I did not know if that would cause more harm than good I found an option to restore File History - which is part of a help but the most recent option is Oct th and I have important files saved more recently than that point though that is better than nothing Can anyone please offer me help thank you in advance to anyone who can

A:Help Please, I Lost my Files

Since this is an upgrade from 8 to 10.....you may be in luck. Open up file explorer, open C drive and look for a folder named window.old. Open that folder and look for your data in there as that contains all your windows 8 data before the upgrade. This time after you cut/paste your data, backup that data to a thumb drive as well.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-10-a/127564-help-please-i-lost-my-files.html
Relevancy 39.99%

hello everyone thank you for reading files please help me with lost this let me tell you everything from the very early beginning yesterday my c drive had only gb left in its space so i want to repartitute the please help me with lost files pc all over again i used the computer managment and copied the folders in please help me with lost files my d drive to my h and then i deleted the d volume while copying the folders the windows told me that there were some files that i couldnt transfer idk why though so after i was done from the partitution of the drives i recreated the d volume and retransfered the d folders back into the d drive after i was done i wanted to switch to my second windows by the way i have one of them which i was using in this process was the win bit my second one is a win bit so i restarted my pc only to see that my pc immediately transfered me to the win bit immediately without showing me the choosing windows menu at all it just skipped it i tried to recover the d drive but the windows backup refused to turn it on saying a folder name or a syntax name is wrong or something like that i also tried alot of recovering softwares which didnt work aswell so i have questions if you dont mind i found a software called EaseUS data recovery wizard and i used it just like the other softwares but this one is different it could find more folders in total in my d than the folders that already exists in the D by all means it did find folders that nolonger exist so my question is should i delete all of the folders in the d drive and choose to recover them all over im only doing this because i dont have enough space in my d drive what should i do to solve this problem nbsp

A:please help me with lost files

please, i really need help and i need it as soon as possible

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-help-me-with-lost-files.1134055/
Relevancy 39.99%

All of my music files from my computer are missing.. or deleted
What is the best (FREE) program for recovering missing files? and...
Is it possible to recover them to a mp3 player, instead of a USB flashdrive?

because I can't recover to the same drive right?

A:HELP!...lost files

How many places are you going to post on the same problem? Please, ONE post on a problem in ONE forum section.

Closed, continue here: http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/432457-my-recorded-songs-gone-help.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-lost-files.432627/
Relevancy 39.99%

I recently tried to remove a crack version of Norton system works and re-install it but could not get rid of the original expiry date. On advice I then ran norton removal tool and also took out any reference to it in the REGISTRY!!
On restart cannot access windows. When trying operating system re-install from cd I am told that the file system is corrupt and drive needs full format.
I have installed second drive and bought recovery software that shows the old drives file structure. On copying old files some come over most, mainly music, only half of track is copied and rest wont copy at all. Any ideas? have about 20Gb to recover.

A:Lost All files

if you have two hard drives why cant you just open the old drive from my computer and drag the files over to the new drive

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/lost-all-files-149807.html
Relevancy 39.99%

I have Win XP on a DELL machine. I was deleting some files from my desktop and now there are a whole bunch of files missing. I know I did not delet the files that are missing. It is very strange. I open some folders that had files in them and now they are empty. I performed a system restore and some folders came back but there are still files missing. Any ideas on what may have happened or how I can get them back.

Relevancy 39.99%

Wasn't really sure which forum to post this in so if it needs moving please do so.

Basically I was working on my laptop earlier this evening moving a few files around and organising my folders when I lost a few files from a folder.

I don't know exactly what happened, I probably mashed the touch pad.

Anyway, now I can't find the files anymore

I've tried running a search but it has come to no avail.

How do I find my files?

If it makes any difference the files were on a memory stick.

Thanks, Alex

It makes a difference. if the stick is still pluged in leave it. what you need is an undelete 3rd party app that works on usb sticks. google it and find one that runs on at least vista.

Im going to search too be back later

Ken

Edit: here is one thats free http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/U..._Undelete.html

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/247980-lost-files.html
Relevancy 39.99%

My laptop shut off by itself today while plugged in following a reboot, and now all of my documents, images, and music files are gone. I can't seem to find them anywhere, and I've been looking for over an hour. I am not very computer-savvy, so I was wondering if anyone here would be kind enough to help me find these files! I can't believe all of my school work could be gone...

A:Please help! All my files are lost!

So,

.... Can you boot into Windows? I'm going to assume the worst here... did you open an e-mail before you computer rebooted? One you probably shouldn't have, or gone to a website you shouldn't have? I'm wonder if someone stole all your files, deleted them and rebooted your computer with a virus. You might want to try finding a free undelete tool, somebody who knows what they're doing and a good memory of what your file names are.

REgards,

Brandon

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/please-help-all-my-files-are-lost-138882.html
Relevancy 39.99%

I am trying to locate and transfer pst files from a computer that crashed - - reallly crashed. What I am looking for are the contacts (addresses) and the calander that iI used in Outlook. I can still access a limited amount of data from the old laptop, but can't seem to find the pst files. Any ideas?

Harold
[email protected]

A:lost pst files

the mail, addresses / contacts & calendar are all in the .pst file.

Set Windows, if XP, to search hidden files & folders.

Set Windows to display hidden & system f & f.

2 different settings.

2 different places.

outlook.pst can be placed anywhere, by the user.
Default location & moving
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA011124801033.aspx

RF123

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-pst-files.695826/
Relevancy 39.99%

I thought I had done every thing right like the software had told me to do ,like doing a back up and such, well some how I done did something wrong and have lost my 2009 and 2010 photo files and then there are files that I can get the fotos but lack the digital info on them : I am Not A techie person am a slow learner so if you give info do it route form please that I can follow : or tell me I am nuts : which ever: Thanks Sqjaw

A:Lost of DNG files

Quote: Originally Posted by sqjaw

I thought I had done every thing right like the software had told me to do ,like doing a back up and such, well some how I done did something wrong and have lost my 2009 and 2010 photo files and then there are files that I can get the fotos but lack the digital info on them : I am Not A techie person am a slow learner so if you give info do it route form please that I can follow : or tell me I am nuts : which ever: Thanks Sqjaw

We could use some information on what you did. If you deleted them by accident there are applications (Like recuva) that may be able to restore them for you.

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/63201-lost-dng-files.html
Relevancy 39.99%

I did a system recovery. I thought that I had back up every, but some of the files were lost. Is there a way to recovery those lost files. The recycle bin is empty. I run windows XP

A:Lost Files

Hi jeff522,You can try PC INSPECTOR and see if it helps.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/98499/lost-files/
Relevancy 39.99%

I am trying to open a ms word file it tells me "check permissions or use file open. how can i open my document

Relevancy 39.99%

I have just recenty noticed a folder that has appeared called "Lost Files" this has an enormouse amount of data in it about 305 Gb and as I am running out of free space can any one explain how it was created, what its use is and also should I delete this file?

My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate

Did the windows 7 ultimate come preloaded on the PC ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-files.1158799/
Relevancy 39.99%

Plz help me! I was using my comp all happy and dandy. Then the nest morning all of the files on My Shared Folder are gone!!!!
I am currently using Kazaa lite and do not know why this has happened!

A:Help with lost files

Do a search for some of the names you remember to see if they may have gotten moved.

If they are really gone, you could try Restoration to see if they are still on the drive and recoverable:

http://www.snapfiles.com/dlnow/dlnow.dll?Inc=No&ID=106926

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-lost-files.199793/
Relevancy 39.99%

Gday,
i have a kingmax usb v.20. And it went through the wash and it has all of my assignments on it (im in grade 12), anyways i dryed it and plugged it back in. Xp wont read the flash disk. I cant get to my assignments now. I was wondering if there was anyway i could get amongst these files, i made a mistake and didnt back the files up specifically to a folder. Is there any programs or anything i can do to get to the files or find a backup or recover recent files. They are both word documents and excel. The file names come up when i first open word or excel under open recent docs. But i cant open them please help asap or i am stuffed

Thanks heaps.

A:Files Lost

Any time a piece of electronics gets wet, it is VERY important to make sure there is not water present before you apply power. If you are very sure it was dry when you powered it up and it did not load, then it may have been damaged either by the water or beat up by the washer. You could try to disassemble the drive and look for damage.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/files-lost-62377.html
Relevancy 39.99%

Hi, I am running windows xp. I had a blue screen with 2 errors, One was D1 error and another one. I thing it could have been virus or drivers out of data. I went to dubbing mode and was able to get in to my computer then I tried again but it didn't work 2nd time. So I went to dubbing mode clicked system resole and it came to a windows:// I put in dir and then I put in my Compaq CD to do system recovery not the full system just the repair one and when it was finished I looked for my 2 folders on the desktop and they where not there.

Any Help Please!!
Thanks in Advance!!

A:Lost My Files (XP)

Look into Documents and Settings directory.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/lost-my-files-xp-217363.html
Relevancy 39.99%

I'm new to this forum and not a high level Windows 7 troubleshooter.

Today, I noticed my desktop was missing a lot of programs that were installed, this made me suspicious so I went to Windows explorer and noticed the latest files were from July of 2010.

So the problem I'm describing is my computer seems to have files and programs listed that were on this box back in July of 2010. I can't access anything from today (May, 12, 2011 back to July of 2010).

I'm lost and looking for help from one of you black belt guru's.

Regards,

Rodger

Disk Check

This is a tutorial to run a check on your hard drives. I think you might have some corrupted sectors or the like. Everything back to July of 2010 is gone completely?

Do you keep a restore file around?

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/162880-lost-files.html
Relevancy 39.99%

I'll try and put this in order and hopefully there is an answer after my daughter being in tears twice yesterday She got a new Lenovo laptop fro Christmas with Windows She made a back up on her desktop of all the photos on her iPhone - called the folder 'Phone' She also moved all her music from Files Lost her phone into a Mix file in Music folder Then we decided to upgrade to windows After the update it appeared but no desktop folder - panic not I found it in Windows user file desktop - so I transferred it to the W desktop checked all the photos were there and also found her music and transferred that to the MUSIC file All happy - then we logged off When we logged back on the photo file had vanished despite a msg saying all your folders are wher you left them and wasn't in the W Lost Files folder and also her music had also vanished - not a problem restoring the music - but she deleted photo's off her phone after we'd checked they were definitely on desktop Now I watch CSi - I know that file must be somewhere Please help

If the windows.old folder is still around I would check there.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/35502-lost-files.html
Relevancy 39.99%

its a bit long this but im always seeing ppl want to know the full story to get to the bottom of the problem so heres the whole thing please do take the time all help! files lost my ive to read as im in serious trouble if i cannot solve my problem thanks for your time i am currently working as a freelance graphic designer specialising in d studio max animations thierfore i have got a lot of very important files of many different types including psd jpg tif avi and some far less know such as d studio max files motion capture files and premier pro files etc my problem began a couple of days ago i am ussually very careful with scanning downloaded software but i was under pressure to finish a clients job help! ive lost all my files off and i really needed to edit some video files in a way that my normal editing software dosent allow cut a long story short i ran a setup file without running a virus check on it and soon after my network went down i reset my pc to find it wouldnt restart after many attempts of on off wait a min on tried all safe mode last good config normal it finally started back up everything seemed fine at st glance i figured it must be the software and so did a system restore to make sure all was ok the system started up again and so i set about looking on the internet for some other software but IE didnt start up i then tried opening a document to find it wasnt readable i soon noticed that nothing worked all my files are visible in thier respective folders but every single file has a size of kb and nothing except basic windows functions work i proceeded to reinstall windows on a seperate partition that i didnt mind losing and that solved the IE problem but all my files on my other dirves are still kb i figured that the software must somehow have messed up the MFT of my NTFS drives and so i set about finding some software to help recover the files i have tried the demo versions of data doctor recovery easy recovery r-studio active file recovery media recover and recover my files all except the last just find the files at kb or totally miss the more important rare file types recover my files does find the missing files but it cannot find thier titles so im left with a jumbled list of files without any order this is a big problem as my animations are saved as frames and so there is probably around million images from various animations all jumbled up it looks like a excessivly hard jigsaw puzzle with images many of which ave next to no noticeable difference i really dont have the time to solve that mess so thats the problem and the question is does anybody have a clue how i can fix the file structure of my NTFS drives keeping the directorys intact and restoring all file types not just well known types i know the files are there ive not overwritten anything and quot recover my files quot can see them i dont mind paying for software to do the repairs as long as it is going to do the job apperciate any help that can be offered thanks for reading Steve C nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-ive-lost-all-my-files.666452/
Relevancy 39.99%

I'm experiencing an alarming situation where some of my files disappeared after completing a bittorrent download. I noticed that the file I had created for the downloads had gone, including two previous completed ones, and a different file containing the actual links. I rebooted but scandisk kicked in and proceeded to report a lot of bad blocks and corrupt files, which it promptly deleted, so not only did these torrent files disappear but at this point so did about 1gig's worth of mp3 files!
WHere have they gone? Can I get them back? Was it Bit Torrent that caused this or is my hard drive?
Can anyone throw any light on this for me please?
Cheers!

Support for p2p filesharing has ceased on these boards a while back

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-files.229561/
Relevancy 39.99%

I did a system restore on my vista home premium, now all my .exe files are empty. I undid the restore but the files are still empty. Is there a way to get those files back? Why does a system restore in vista remove files with an .exe extension?

I do not want to know about system restore, I want to know how to get my .exe files back. System restore removed that extension.

A:lost .exe files

http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/File-association-fixes-for-Windows-Vista.html

Try this though, it may be your .exe lost there associations. Its the only thing I could find when searching, maybe you want to try running a sfc /scannow

Do you get an error message or can you just not find the files?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/177543-lost-exe-files.html
Relevancy 39.99%

Hi Guys I can't find my Keypass files I had a desktop cleanup recently and may have inadvertently lost it at that time. Somehow I have a copy of Keypass (Keypass 2) on my computer which wasn't there before but it doesn't have my passwords. I have looked in recycle bin Any ideas? Am running windows 8.1

Hi,

Use Windows 8.1 search text bar to find missing files. Right click on the lower left corner (on start button icon) and use search option to find required files. Be sure to set the location 'Files' instead of 'Everything' on the search text bar.

If the files were still missing, consider trying restore or appropriate recovery software and see if they may able to get those files back.

let us know if you're still have some query.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-files.1131460/