Windows Support Forum

Recovering Lifelong Memories from Windows Recovery-Wiped External Hard Drive

Q: Recovering Lifelong Memories from Windows Recovery-Wiped External Hard Drive

I had a new PC so I thought I would do a recovery disk on a separate partition of my parent's disk. Turns out windows wipes out everything regardless of partition when it does that. So now lifelong memories are gone and I'm freaking out! I used EaseUS to make different partitions which were deleted. After I found that the partition I chose stayed the same size but was renamed RECOVERY and it had the recovery data in it. However the rest was "unused" and so I dragged the RECOVERY to make full use of the disk and then I started scanning it deeply with hard drive recovery software. I am now through scanning with my 2nd program now (1st one didn't give me the files I needed) and I'm using RecoverMyFiles. The problem is I'm not really getting back any of the files I had deleted by windows, but I get some stupid windows files which were probably deleted in the recovery process!! PLEASE help me!!! I am desperate. Future hanging in balance thank you.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Recovering Lifelong Memories from Windows Recovery-Wiped External Hard Drive

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Recovering Lifelong Memories from Windows Recovery-Wiped External Hard Drive

There are quite a few programs you could try, I have had most success with Recuva by Piriform, but recently this program was said to be excellent by a user,
http://www.ylcomputing.com/content/view/350/153/
Obviously it's worthwhile trying both of them.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recovering-lifelong-memories-from-windows-recovery-wiped-external-hard-drive.207350/
Relevancy 173.6%

I had a new PC so I thought I would do a recovery disk on a separate partition of my parent s disk Turns out windows wipes out everything regardless of partition when it does that So now lifelong memories are gone and I m freaking out I used EaseUS to make different partitions which were deleted After I found that the partition I chose stayed the same size but was renamed RECOVERY and it had the recovery data in it However the Recovery-Wiped Hard Drive Memories Lifelong Windows External Recovering from rest was quot unused quot and so I dragged the RECOVERY to make full use of the disk and then I started scanning it deeply with hard drive recovery software I am now through scanning with my nd program now st one didn t give me the files i needed and I m using RecoverMyFiles The problem is I m not really getting back any of the files I had deleted by windows but I get some stupid windows files which were probably deleted in the recovery process PLEASE help me I am desperate Future hanging in balance thank you nbsp

A:Recovering Lifelong Memories from Windows Recovery-Wiped External Hard Drive

I haven't used it but you can try Recuva (its free) - http://www.piriform.com/recuva

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-lifelong-memories-from-windows-recovery-wiped-external-hard-drive.1138717/
Relevancy 87.72%

I'm working on a Gateway LX 6810-01 and he completley reformatted his hard drive. He ordered some factory discs to restore to factory settings but when it loads it up it just hangs.

I made a vista 64 recovery disc and it loads up.. When it does it asks for the Dvd/cd Rom driver.

The device is a HL - DT - ST DVDRAM GH15F SCSI Cdrom Device

It lets me serach for it and flash drive is an option and I have one handy, however I can't just find the driver I need and put it on this flash drive for the computer I'm working on.

What can I do to get this going?

A:Vista 64 bit recovery disc on a wiped hard drive.

it should load it from the dvd, i have looked only but can't find a driver for yeah sorry.

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/232421-vista-64-bit-recovery-disc-wiped-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 87.72%

I followed the directions from Gateway about creating recovery CDs before wiping the hard drive. Unfortunately some thing did not work. I now have NO drivers and keep getting an error at Windows start up.

Windows error: it is asking me to select operating system to start and give me "Windows XP Media Center Edition" (list this twice).

Drivers: I've gone to Gateway (on another computer) and tried to download to a cd the modem driver so I can access the internet and Internet Explorer. I keep trying to install the modem driver and Internet Explorer with no luc

System and other info:
Windows XP Professional
version 5.1.2600, Service Pack 3 build 2600
System: Gateway
Model: MX6453
System Type: x86-based PC

Please help!

Thanks,
Jessica

A:Help - wiped hard drive, problem with recovery disks

You should wipe the drive with killdisk, do a google. I suspect that
remnants of the old os are still on the hdd. The drive is dirty....

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-wiped-hard-drive-problem-with-recovery-disks-401054.html
Relevancy 84.28%

i have made a major mistake of deleting some folders off an external hard drive and the files didn't show in the Recycle bin. I already tried to use System restore but it will not restore even though I have used a valid restore point. I'm desperate because although my computer is "user friendly" I'm not "computer friendly". What can I do to get them back and/or is there a program I can get that will recover the lost folders?

A:i need help in recovering folders on an external hard drive

Hello and welcome to the forum

Try Recova . . http://majorgeeks.com/Recuva_-_File_Recovery_d5514.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/i-need-help-in-recovering-folders-on-an-external-hard-drive-234006.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi im new here an hoping someone could help I recently recovering pics drive!! hard my from help external Need moved all my video s pics an music to my external hard drive to format my internal drives and re install windows xp After doing so i opened my external hard drive to find all the files were fine exept the folder and file names Need help recovering my pics from external hard drive!! on my Need help recovering my pics from external hard drive!! pictures folder are green When i try opening any of the pictures it says file corrupt or invalid and when trying to copy them back onto my pc it says you do not have pemission from System then a load of numbers All the thumbnails are still there which is confusing Ive tried following guides to change security permissions etc but not had no joy I also gave my external hard drive to my friend which is a bit of a pc whizz in my eyes an he said that the pictures will never be able to be recovered as when i copied the pics over to the external hard drive i must of copied the my pictures folder which is a system folder rather than the individual folders inside and now i have re installed the windows again it would of switched the system name an not recognise my pc as the same one as before the format is this right I really hope soeone can help me recover these pics as it is the only back up i have and it is every photo i have taken in the last years Please help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-recovering-my-pics-from-external-hard-drive.911536/
Relevancy 84.28%

I had to do an f11 restart on my HP laptop. I was given the option to save my files to an external hard drive(Seagate Expansion) which I did. However when I come to restore the files, they are not in an accessible format. There is a restore option on the drive and also on the desktop and neitherof these work. Theres a source file list on the Seagate(notebook file) which lists all of the files. Most of them are music files or photos.
Thanks for any help

A:Recovering files from external hard drive

I did a Google search and found this:
HP Notebook PCs - How to Restore Backup Files Created During the F11 Backup Procedure

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/recovering-files-external-hard-drive-4611126/
Relevancy 83.85%

Hello After experiencing some malfunctions in my hard drive I decided to buy a more reliable one before my existing hard drive completely died External Won't Drive Recovery Windows Hard 8.1 Recognise I've used Windows 's backup and recovery tools to create an image of my existing hard drive in the hopes that I can restore this image to my Windows 8.1 Recovery Won't Recognise External Hard Drive new drive The image was saved to a Seagate FreeAgent Desk external hard drive I've swapped the hard drive out now and put my Windows recovery media USB drive in to begin the repair by clicking 'Repair your computer' I then went to Troubleshoot gt Advanced options gt System Image Recovery as I'm supposed to in order to restore this image I then select my operating system which is currently Windows I've installed Windows temporarily on my new hard drive whilst trying to get this sorted All whilst this is going on my external hard drive is plugged in to my PC however at this point the recovery settings won't find a system image I'm getting the following message 'Windows cannot find a system image on this computer Attach the backup hard disk or insert the final DVD from a backup set and click Retry Alternatively close this dialog for more options ' Clicking retry doesn't seem to do anything so I click Cancel and go through and select the location of the backup The external hard drive does not appear on the list I suspect this may be because the recovery environment has not loaded the drivers to use the external hard drive so I click Advanced to try and find them and no matter what I try I can't get this to work I've checked what driver my external hard drive is using in Device Manager and it's using the disk sys and prtmgr sys drivers in C Windows system drivers but trying to select these to load brings up a message saying that these do not contain information about my hardware so I'm a little stuck Any advice help on this Ideally I'd like to use this backup so that I don't have to purchase another Windows license and start over from scratch Thanks

A:Windows 8.1 Recovery Won't Recognise External Hard Drive

From my understanding of this this post - you are using windows 8 system recovery to restore windows 8 on a system that has windows 7, is this not correct

another question - what OS came with the PC?

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/60671-windows-8-1-recovery-wont-recognise-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 83.42%

I can no longer access my external hard drive after my laptop had gotten infected with the NTOSKRNL-HOOK trojan, but cannot tell if my external hard drive isn't working due to virus-, hardware- or software-related issues. It is important that I recover my research data from either my external hard drive or from my laptop's old hard drive that was damaged from the infection.

Dell's regular support line and their fee-based virus support group weren't able to distinguish whether my external hard drive had gotten infected during my laptop's infection or whether my external hard drive had some kind of mechanical or software error, and I was referred here by a technician from TechSupportForum's virus area.

Can someone tell me in which area of TechSupportForum I should post a more detailed question, or should I take my external hard drive to a local repair shop to recover my data?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/problems-recovering-files-from-an-external-hard-drive-407168.html
Relevancy 83.42%

About months ago I added an external LaCie Hard Drive TB to my system to be able to back up my C drive and to store my music external from data drive hard corrupted Need help recovering files on copy my cd collection I partitioned into two drives J for the backup and M for the music Over the past several months I have downloaded over cd s to the M drive and it worked fine until recently where it showed as corrupted I called LaCie and they advised that the hardware is probably ok as the computer still sees the J drive and associated volume When I quot explore quot the computer it sees the M drive but there is no data no total size or free space showing When you click on it the M drive it gives the message that it is unavailable and corrupted Lacie advised formatting the drive after attempting to recover the data which they think is still there just corrupted I suppose I could just format the drive and re-copy all the cd s but that took forever the first time so I would like to try and recover them before I resort to that The error message reads quot M is not accessable The paremeter is incorrect quot But when I click the J partition of Need help recovering corrupted data from external hard drive the same drive it shows the volume and available volume as normal The music files were recorded using dbPowerAmp and saved in FLAC format I also had a folder in M for converted files where I converted the FLAC files to Apple Lossless for use on my iPod Again this whole thing worked fine for months recording the cd s being able to convert them to the Apple format importing them into iTunes or just playing the FLAC files I had recorded etc My machine is about Need help recovering corrupted data from external hard drive years old and HP Pavilion a n running Vista Does anyone have any suggestions Need help recovering corrupted data from external hard drive on a relatively inexpensive software package that will recover corrupted files from an external hard drive Any suggestions are greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Need help recovering corrupted data from external hard drive

You can try a Linux Live cd and plug the Ext HDD into the computer running the live CD and see if linux can get at them seems to be working great for me. Sounds more like your J: drive lost its partition bits and thats why its not working and why your M: drive still is. If the hard drive itself was starting to go bad I would think it would affect both partitons as a partition is just a logical split of the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-recovering-corrupted-data-from-external-hard-drive.878445/
Relevancy 82.99%

I have an Acer Iconia W500 that came preinstalled with Windows 7 32bit Home Premium. I made recovery discs from the tablet before installing Windows 8 on it, which runs great. What I would like to do, if possible, is to use those Windows 7 restore discs and restore them to an external hard drive and be able to boot from it and run the original Windows 7 that came preinstalled. The reason I am wanting to do this, as there were some programs, drivers, and other things that I cannot download from Acer or retrieve from the restore discs, and can only access from the OS if it is actually running. Thanks, ahead of time, for any help.

A:Help Restoring Windows 7 Recovery Disk to External Hard Drive or USB

This is why many WIn8 previewers keep the old OS in a Dual Boot so it is readily accessible by booting or via Explorer. It would have also been better to back up a Win7 backup image which could be virtually mounted in Disk Mgmt. to access any files. Recovery Disks are not that flexible and will only recover the machine to exact factory condition on the internal HD.

What drivers or other needed software is missing from the Acer Support Downloads webpage for your model. These can often be found via Google. I have never seen a problem with Acer in countless Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/239866-help-restoring-windows-7-recovery-disk-external-hard-drive-usb.html
Relevancy 82.56%

I have an eMachine T computer to which I added a Maxtor One Touch gig drive everything hard external from recovering files/folders Maxtor drive is out of warranty OS Win XP Pro w sp Outline of problem On I left home with the computer and nanny cam on Returned hours later amp found the following message on screen Windows Delayed Write Failed Windows was unable to save all of the data for the file J SMft J drive Maxtor The data has been lost The error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or a network connection Please try to save this file elsewhere I could not get access to this file to save it elsewhere I could not get the Add Remove Software list to recovering files/folders from external Maxtor hard drive populate I couldn t do a system restore I couldn t save anything to the J drive and the computer has been recovering files/folders from external Maxtor hard drive more than a recovering files/folders from external Maxtor hard drive little finicky ever since - very slow to open any everything insist I allow popups to open links on the web or throws me off the internet - things like this Anyway tried everything I could think of to fix it tried the things RoadRunner and eMachine suggested Called Microsoft amp pd them to fix it and spent the entire week morning to night on the phone with them till they escalated the problem to the research team who told me that the problem is likely due to a surge that K of data on the Maxtor is available to me and that approx gigs of data is on the drive They said I should take the drive to a local tech to have them use recovery tools to remove the data from the drive then to wipe the drive clean and then restore the data to the drive He also said that the drive will work fine after this is done He said the local tech should not have any problem recovering the files folders as he can see that they are still there Something was corrupted which caused this problem Microsoft has refunded the fee as they could not fix the problem or just wanted to get rid of me Geek Squad tech told me that the drive is dying and that delayed write means the drive was having a hard time finding a good place to write the file I d like to know if there s a way for me a non tech person can recover the files myself and if I could do this safely as the fees for the recovery are high to out of this world nbsp

Relevancy 77.83%

Hey all somehow my TB hard drive was wiped out and I've lost GB worth of files from the past years I don't have any backups stupid me My hard drive contains lots of family vacation photos and videos old school projects I'll need in the future and loads of other really important stuff Here's what happened -This hard drive lets call it Drive A was Truecrypt encrypted It contains all of my files - I had to send back my to appears 7 installing drive Windows wiped drive after Hard another SSD that Hard drive appears wiped after installing Windows 7 to another drive contained my operating system for warranty No big deal I simply wiped that out and mailed it back - I had a spare GB hard drive lets call it Drive B that I decided to install my operating system on I launched the Windows installer clicked on the Hard drive appears wiped after installing Windows 7 to another drive few partitions this drive had and hit quot delete quot to wipe them out I clicked on Hard drive appears wiped after installing Windows 7 to another drive the unallocated space and installed the operating system on it - When I went to boot my computer it worked fine I went to mount Drive A when it gave me an error quot Cannot mount volume The host file device is already in use quot I checked in Disk Management and saw that the drive appeared to be completely empty apart from about MB I used a rd party file explorer to see that the drive contained a bunch of weird files like quot upcase quot quot badclus quot quot boot quot and dozens of other files all being named something with quot bootmgr quot in the name This made me become extremely concerned - I immediately shut off my computer and removed Drive A After taking out Drive A the computer gave me an error to the extent of it not finding an operating system or not being able to boot or something The only change I had made was removing that other drive so I figure that somehow the bootloader was installed on Drive A when the rest of the operating system is on Drive B I reinstalled Windows on Drive B this time without Drive A being hooked up and it worked completely fine and booted normally Is it possible that the Windows installed somehow wiped out Drive A and installed the bootloader on it I really have no idea what I'm doing here but I really need to get my data back I've tried various utilities like quot Recuva quot quot EASIS quot and a few others The only files they detect are the quot bootmgr quot ones Do you have any suggestions for getting my files back Any and all help would be greatly appreciated Thanks so much

A:Hard drive appears wiped after installing Windows 7 to another drive

Danny I don't know if I can help but lets see if we can get a little more information.
It is possible that you did wipe the hard drive with your saved things if you had that hard drive hooked up when you installed Windows 7.

It's also possible the information is still there but you are no longer able to decrypt it or get access to the encrypted drive.

Post one of these so other members can see what is what.
Please use this method to do so.

BY Golden:
Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/308143-hard-drive-appears-wiped-after-installing-windows-7-another-drive.html
Relevancy 77.4%

I have bought a new Laptop - Dell Inspiron It had Windows -bit I want at best to install Windows XP if that's possible However I have (SP3) Installing hard on XP drive Pro Windows wiped a feeling that I've made a stupid mistake somewhere without doing the necessary research I have wiped the hard drive by using Copywipe from the Ultimate Boot CD that I have Now I have no Operating System Here's Installing Windows XP Pro (SP3) on wiped hard drive the situation I have a Windows XP Pro Service Pack ISO that I have made bootable using a small program called WBICreator I also have the extracted files as a backup I have PowerISO - but my bootable ISO doesn' work even on VirtualBox - it always says that it cannot load BootMgr so maybe I'm not using PowerISO properly I guess When I attempt to boot the wiped hard drive it says No Boot Device found Press any key to reboot the machine Please Installing Windows XP Pro (SP3) on wiped hard drive guide me in installing this operating system on my laptop and ask me what details I should provide so that you can help me easily

A:Installing Windows XP Pro (SP3) on wiped hard drive

Dell drivers for system, ftp://ftp.dell.com/Browse_For_Drivers/Laptops/Inspiron/Inspiron%2015R%205520/index.html .

I see no XP drivers.

To install a different O/S on that system...you would require a different license also, since your license only applies to the Win 8 preinstalled O/S.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/487068/installing-windows-xp-pro-sp3-on-wiped-hard-drive/
Relevancy 77.4%

Hello;
I just recently used Kill Disk to wipe clean my 80 GB Hitachi hard drive on my Dell Optiplex 755 computer. I am now trying to reload Windows XP Pro but am not having very good luck. After a couple of minutes of downloading I receive the following error message: ?Stop. 0x0000007B (0XF78DA63C, 0xC0000034, 0X00000000, 0x00000000)?. I have tried reloading several times but keep receiving this same message. Should I have reformatted the hard drive after wiping it clean with Kill Disk before trying to reload Windows Xp? If so what program could I use that would boot itself from a CD /DVD drive so I could carry out the reformatting?
Thank You

A:Wiped Hard Drive....Can't reload Windows XP

After a couple of minutes of downloading I receive the following error message: "Stop. 0x0000007B (0XF78DA63C, 0xC0000034, 0X00000000, 0x00000000)".What are you downloading and from where?The Stop error is for an inaccessible boot device.Do you have the installation disk for this operating system? Should I have reformatted the hard drive after wiping it clean with Kill Disk before trying to reload Windows Xp? If so what program could I use that would boot itself from a CD /DVD drive so I could carry out the reformatting?If you are installing the operating system from the installation disk partitioning and formatting the hdd is part of the installation, in that order.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/480443/wiped-hard-drivecant-reload-windows-xp/
Relevancy 77.4%

Hello a couple days ago i lent my pc to a friend.. He got me a virus all my shorcuts got deleted everything was messend up programs didnt open it took ages to do anything. So i decided to wipe my hard drive i used HD shredder (DBAN did not work) now when i turn on the laptop it puts this
Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 083)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
For Qualcomm Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.1.1.5(03/15/13)
CLIENT MAC ADDR:44 8A 5B F0 A2 0D GUID: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-448A5BF0A20D
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM
Reboot and select proper boot device
or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

I a pretty new laptop by MSI
thanks

A:Trying to install windows 8 on a wiped hard drive.

do you have windows install disk? does computer have a dvd drive?

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/63720-trying-install-windows-8-wiped-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Hello all. I have a dell laptop that was just infested with viruses, and decided to completely wipe the hard drive and reinstall windows xp pro. It was home but I decided to upgrade. Now I wiped the computer clean, but it crashes everytime I put in the Windows XP Pro cd, it gives me the pci.sys - address f85480bf base at f8541000 error and I can't figure out how to get past it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Wiped hard drive, can't reinstall windows!

Hello & welcome to TSF ,

first i need some info

what program did you use to wipe the hard drive ??

how old is this laptop ?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/wiped-hard-drive-cant-reinstall-windows-332150.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Yesterday I went to make a new partition on my hard drive because i was going to put ubuntu on it but the program crashed before it was done. I forgot about it and this morning when i started up my computer it wouldn't boot. I tried making it boot from my HDD and from a windows 7 installation disc. When it boots from the hard drive it says it cant find an OS. Can someone help me fix this? I have a lot of stuff on my hard drive that i dont want to lose.
If you guys need more info to help feel free to ask. Thanks guys.
Im on win7 x64.

A:Made new partition - windows wiped from hard drive

Boot into the Win7 disk to look for your files and then rescue them to external flash via Copy & Paste - in Windows Recovery Console.

If you find your files intact alongside a Windows folder on a partition which might not be lettered C because you are in Windows Recovery Console, then there is still hope to repair it following Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start.

Otherwise once you have your files all backed up you can delete all partitions to Clean Reinstall Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/366363-made-new-partition-windows-wiped-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Setup P Mhz Mb PC RAM Windows Server Standard Edition SP Software IIS PHP Net MySql Hard Update :( wiped drive out a single Both in Windows Sql Server SP HD Samsung Gb HD Quantum Fireball Gb This has happened twice in the last month I have been trying to setup a stable environment for my personal hosting needs for a while and I thought I had got it until Note This happened twice exactly the same symptons Both Hard drive wiped out in a single Windows Update :( cause both times Everything runs smooth with backups of HD zip files of wwwroot and phpMyAdmin exports being stored on HD When I setup the server initially I make sure it is up-to-date on Service Packs and all windows updates this is with a fresh install then I setup up PHP MySql etc etc Everything is fine for a while with good performance and no signs of trouble Then when the first Windows Update after setup is fully completed is installed it installs fine but when I reboot I get a blue memory dump screen saying the harddrive has been coruptted I then uplug HD just to ensure nothing can happen to it during the reformat of HD When reinstall of OS is complete I plug HD back in but when I try to access it from My Computer I get an error saying it has not been formatted yet and it shows that it is compoletely empty I tried putting it in other PCs too with same error The first time I had this happened I suspected some bad memory and put in completely new memory but then the same thing happened a second time My question is what could be the cause of the OS always crashing corrupting after the first Windows Update and why does the backup drive get wiped too I have a newer box I plan to run the live server on I am using this P as a test box until I get things sorted out Could it just be the old hardware I have only had the corruption problem when using Windows Server This box has run Windows and Windows XP in the past with never any problems although I never kept up with Windows updates with the other OSs which seem to trigger the problem This has been very frustrating for me and has made me glad I chose programming instead of Systems Admin as a career I woudl really like to get this sorted out so I can consolidate all my hosting accounts onto server that I have control of nbsp

Relevancy 75.68%

Hi guys I've got an External USB Hard drive WD Elements GB HELP! Hard Recovery Drive Please External which has suddenly stopped working What do I mean by not working well Please HELP! External Hard Drive Recovery the Disks don't show up in 'My Computer' The device IS however showing up as a USB Device It has partitions Two FAT and NTFS So I searched the web for a solution got messing about in DISK MANAGEMENT It showed that my HD was online bit did not show the partitioned Please HELP! External Hard Drive Recovery drives just showed GB of free space UNFORTUNATELY I tried 'Convert to MBR' thinking this might help It didn't No change I'm not sure what format the drive was in before if the formats are compatible or if I just destroyed my access to any data that was previously on the HD I went into the DISKPART menu in the Command Prompt and got the disk details WD ELEMENTS USB DEVICE DISK ID A F B TYPE USB Status Online PATH TARGET LUN ID LOCATION PATH UNAVAILABLE Current Ready only state No Read-only No Boot Disk No PageFile Disk No Hibernation File Disk No Crashdump Disk No Clustered Disk No My QUESTIONS ARE Is there any way to salvage my data Have I fu ed up by converting to MBR Will I have to send my HDD to the Data Recovery people min quote Thanks for reading this far any Help is MUCH appreciated

A:Please HELP! External Hard Drive Recovery

What you can try, which will cost something, but a lot less than professional data recovery, is using a well-known data recovery app to see what it can find and recover. The download and trial is free -- so at least you can see how well it works without spending anything. Since this does not use the partition table to find files and directories, it tends to work well in these situations.

The actual recovery requires purchasing a license -- but that can be installed without rebooting or reinstalling the app. If you're interested in this, go to Runtime Software and read about their RecoverMyFiles app.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/292922-please-help-external-hard-drive-recovery.html
Relevancy 75.68%

I have an external hard drive that failed. I guess there was a problem with the USB power out input on the hard drive. I bought a hard drive enclosure and now the drive powers up just fine and my computer sees it in disk management but I can't access the data on it. It's requiring me to initialize it and make a new partition. As you all know, this will wipe all data and I'm wondering what software is out there that I can use to recover the data before initializing the drive (preferably free or very cheap). Or is there anywhere that could do this type of recovery services that wouldn't charge much for this type of recovery? I know that most tend to be very pricey.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Relevancy 75.68%

hi guys. the external hard drive, here at work, cannot be detected by any of the computers. my thoughts are that the data was wiped clean. i've removed the hard drive from the case and installed it onto my computer as a slave drive. a) how can i view if these files still exist. and b) if they are missing, can you recommend a software recovery program?

Relevancy 75.68%

Upon installing windows on a hp pavilion elite from a wiped hard drive I encountered a few issues First I loaded everything as usual and when it came to partitioning I assumed it would have selected the correct one automatically There were a few there two primary an u allocated space and one labeled hp seven Hp windows installing hard pavilion from drive elite wiped I believe the hp one was selected initially It went on and completed the Hp pavilion elite installing windows seven from wiped hard drive first step and was restarting When it booted it up it went to a black screen with a I tried to troubleshoot using forums for similar issues no luck So I reloaded windows seven and hit repair computer It told me it recognized an error and asked to repair and restart I did so No change Restarted computer with windows disc and reloaded install setup This time I used a YouTube video to select proper partition Hp pavilion elite installing windows seven from wiped hard drive This video had no previous partitions so fed up I deleted all partitions that it would allow me too It continued to the screen where it saves files then expands then load features etc this time the computer froze at expanding files I left it for a while and no change the cursor wouldn't even move So I shut off computer Now when I turn computer on the monitor displays no signal I have checked and rechecked cables it's all right and proper The go symbol lights up on coy and I can hear fan but no matter how many times I restart it it still displays no signal Please advise

A:Hp pavilion elite installing windows seven from wiped hard drive

Go=hp
Coy=cpu

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/374548-hp-pavilion-elite-installing-windows-seven-wiped-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hello I have recently assembled my first custom PC build specs are below Everything went smoothly and it started up on the first ry However the company I ordered the hard drive from has been taking their sweet time on shipping So I decided to wipe an old drive that has been collecting dust for the last months in an external drive enclosure so not literally dusty and hard install USB 7 wiped drive Windows issue on Solved: use that to install Windows and then the plan was to use the smaller drive for Windows and select software and the larger new drive for storage CPU AMD FX- GHz Quad-Core Motherboard Asus M A L-M LX PLUS Micro ATX AM Memory Team Dark Series GB x GB DDR - Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue GB quot RPM not delivered yet Video Card ECS GeForce GTS GB Wireless Rosewill RNX-G LX b g PCI Case Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Power Supply Thermaltake W ATX V The problem I am having occurs at the Windows installation from USB When I get to the amp Where do you want to install Windows amp part of the setup process I get the following error message We couldn t create a new partition or locate an existing one For more information see the Setup log files So logically I went to the forums to Solved: Windows 7 USB install on wiped hard drive issue try and locate the answer So far I have done SHIFT F Start DISKPART Type LIST DISK Type SELECT DISK Type CLEAN ALL took several hours Type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY Type ACTIVE Type FORMAT FS NTFS Type ASSIGN Type EXIT twice Then restart the process didn amp t work Second attempt was to use a partitioning tool Went through the MiniTool Wizard and used WIPE PARTITION gt fill with ones and zeros took almost hours gt format partition NTFS gt didn amp t work In my frustration I attempted to install Ubuntu from USB gt Worked perfectly As I said before I am using an older hard drive that had previously had windows on it I am wondering if that amp s what is causing the problem and if so how do I get around it And yes I do want windows and not just linux I dual boot The hard drive is Hitachi Gb amp RPM pulled from my laptop after I upgraded Any help is appreciated Thanks GL EDIT I came across this thread and will try it when I get home from work but would still love any other suggestions http forums techguy org windows- -trouble-installing-usb-installation-requesting html EDIT the above didn t work Please help nbsp

A:Solved: Windows 7 USB install on wiped hard drive issue

Can you show us the disk map for the Hitachi 2.5 drive in Minitool Partition Wizard?
How are you connecting it?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-7-usb-install-on-wiped-hard-drive-issue.1116891/
Relevancy 75.68%

Yesterday, I ran a .exe file which I shouldn't have and it suddenly wiped out my files. I got a black desktop with only the Recycle Bin left. My files are nowhere to be found and I started to restore my computernto a previpus restore point, it still did not work. My computer also starts to notify me about RAM problems and hard drive errors. I performed scanning my computer for errors, some of the errors were fixed but somehow some of them weren't because it says I have to buy a full version. I don't know much of these technical stuff, please be patient with me. I really need your help. Thank you.

A:Virus wiped my hardware, it also says hard drive error in windows 7

Hi Saira029, welcome to TSF.

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link given below, before posting for assistance. There's a sticky at the top of this forum, and a link at the top of each page.

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post these in your next reply.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

If you have trouble running DDS, please try running it in Safe Mode using the following instructions:

Restart your computer and boot into Safe Mode by hitting the F8 key repeatedly until a menu shows up (and choose Safe Mode from the list). In some systems, this may be the F5 key, so try that if F8 doesn't work. Login on your usual account.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/virus-wiped-my-hardware-it-also-says-hard-drive-error-in-windows-7-a-610031.html
Relevancy 74.82%

I have had numerous problems the last days with my computer and it s connectvity to the internet After discusing my problems with many helpfull users I am Hard And External Recovery Drive System still faced with the same prolblems I have saved all my personal files as well as numerous firewall and antivirus progams to discs I have also saved my system to backup discs Finally I have an External Hard Drive And System Recovery external hard drive with everything saved I would like to do a full system Recovery but I fear that my problems from right now will be saved on my external hard drive I have never had to use my external drive for a recovery problem so I am assuming that the problem I External Hard Drive And System Recovery ve had is not from that If I system recover what are all of the needed antispyware programs I should use before starting I have a HP computer which does not come with install repair or recovery discs Only a recover program off START area of computer Do I reinstall my programs after or before I download anti spyware etc I already have Spybot AVG antivirus Sygate firewall Do I need any others

A:External Hard Drive And System Recovery

I have list a few programs I use. I would install the removal and online scan software now before you need it. I takes minimal disk space and is one less thing to fight with if you become infected. You can also review the Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps for other software you may need or want. Good luck.Antivirus (Run only one.)AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)Avast Home Edition Antivirus FreewareAntiVir Personal Edition Classic FreewareBitDefender 8 Free EditionAntispywareMicrosoft Defender (2000,and XP only)Spybot TutorialAdAware SE Personal Edition TutorialSpyBlaster TutorialSpywareGuard TutorialTrojan Removal ToolEwido Anti-Malware After a 14 day trial it will not scan automaticily(2000, and XP only)(Features)A Squared FreeOnline scansTrendmicro's Housecall Internet Explorer OnlyTrendmicro"s Housecall FoxFire OnlyPanda's ActiveScan Internet Explorer Only F-secure's Virus Scan Internet Explorer OnlySyGate's Trojan scaneTrust Antivirus Web Scanner Internet Explorer OnlyRemoval ToolsKaspersky Removal ToolsAVG Manual Virus Removal toolMacAfee Stinger Virus Removal ToolSymantec's Viurs Removal ToolsBitDefender Removal Tools FreeUtilitycCleanerEverest Home 2.2 (hardware and software information)Belarc Diagnostic ToolMemtest86 "A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic"MicroSoft's Memory TestDigtal Dolly (Hard drive utility)[email protected] Wipe UtilityBartPEWindows 2000 & XP Only.Ultimate Boot Disk Utilitywww.bootdisk.comBIOS beep & POST codesFirewall Security TestSnap Backup (Backup Utility)SpeeDefrag 2.1 (Restarts, runs, and shuts down Windows)Firewalls (Run only one.)Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use SyGate Presonal Firewall 5.6 (I personally use)OutPost Firewall FreeKerio Free Personal Firewall

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/46374/external-hard-drive-and-system-recovery/
Relevancy 74.82%

So I posted earlier about how I forgot the password of please on data drive: an hard external recovery help my Western Digital MyBook Essentail harddrive I gave up and pursued another option Data recovery I read that basically when data gets deleted it just loses it s tag so it can be replaced by something else Therefore if you delete your data data recovery on an external hard drive: please help but never read write on the drive you should be able to recover many all the files you lost If you enter the password wrong times data recovery on an external hard drive: please help on the Smartware that comes with the MyBook it gives you the option data recovery on an external hard drive: please help to erase your drive losing all your data but enabling you to access the drive again It wipes it basically I also think it reformatted it too as it used to be in what Macintosh calls it quot ms dos quot format or something probably fat right It was in a format so it could be read writable on both macs and pc s So I took the risk and went for it I erased the drive after typing in what i wished was my password but wasn t times Now I am trying to find software that I might be able to use to fix this predicament I m in At the moment I am going to go to bed and leave test disk running It s quick scan only found two partitions some efs thing that I didn t recognize and mac hfs I think I watched on youtube this guy demo d test disk and the name of his partition showed up too I named my harddrive yonbanme I didn t see anything like that pop up now the harddrive s name is reset to WD or something it s model number Any advice is greatly appreciated but I have this lingering feeling that something is off I ve been using software here and there and none of them seem to be able to locate my old files Am I naive in thinking that as long as I do not write any more data to the external harddrive I still should be able to recover my files nbsp

A:data recovery on an external hard drive: please help

Sometimes you can recover data and sometimes you cannot. You are correct in that when you do a normal delete, you are really just removing the references to the file in the MFT or if fat32, the FAT.

Since it did format, and there was some type of security, it may have done a secure type of format or erase of the data. It may still be possible to recover data however it is most likely going to have to go to a data recovery shop. Prices for this are NOT cheap. Here a very basic data recovery costs $100 plus whatever media it used to copy the data. Prices go way up from there.

It does you little good now however we have a saying; "Data you do not have at least two copies of is data you do not care about" With an image backup of the data files, this would be a no brainer to fix. New drive and restore the data; done.

You have learned a valuable lesson regarding backups; hopefully it did not cost you too much data.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-recovery-on-an-external-hard-drive-please-help.904191/
Relevancy 74.82%

So I recently used Darik's Boot and Nuke to wipe my hard drive, and whenever I attempt to install Windows 7 the installation goes through till it reads finishing installation, then after a few minutes gives me blue screen and crashes. My laptop is a dell inspiron and has 3 gb of memory on it. I was told it was possible that when I used DBAN it erased instructions built into my hard drive that allow an operating system to be installed to it. Not sure if there is anything I can do to diagnose the blue screen or if there's any common cause for this.

Thanks!

A:Blue screen at the end of Windows install on newly wiped hard drive

Hi

Why did you re-installed Windows ?. How the system worked before formatting ?

Windows can be installed in a fully erased hard drive without any problem. In fact that is the recommended method in case of a serious rootkit infection. I suspect a hardware issue as the cause. Sometimes a defective installation DVD can also produce BSOD when installing. Let us first check your hardware health condition using built in diagnostics. Follow the below steps.

1 ) Keep pressing F12 while powering on until you see a boot selection menu.

2 )Select Diagnostics from the menu to run built in self test.

3 )If there are no errors detected during the short test, you will be asked for permission to run an extensive test. Choose OK and run the test. 

Post the result in next reply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/497998/blue-screen-at-the-end-of-windows-install-on-newly-wiped-hard-drive/
Relevancy 74.39%

I recently upgraded to Win from Win nbsp After using the computer for a few weeks it refused to boot to WIndows nbsp I drive external Recovery disk creation hard from was able to start it and scanned it and found disc errors and opted to revert to Win nbsp In the process something got fouled and now the computer won't boot nbsp I've tried to back up the computer via the setup F but that failed multiple times nbsp So i removed the hard drive and got it to run work in an external hard drive case nbsp I've scanned it multiple times and it appears to be OK nbsp nbsp Is there a way to create recovery disks from the hard drive now that it's out Recovery disk creation from external hard drive of the laptop nbsp In other words is there Recovery disk creation from external hard drive a utility on the hard drive that allows me to Recovery disk creation from external hard drive create the one-time revocy DVD to reset it to factory specs nbsp The computer is just out of warranty so that's not an option nbsp Thanks in advance Tim

A:Recovery disk creation from external hard drive

Hi Tim, Unfortunately, the recovery media creator utility would need to run within the OS on the drive that contains the recovery partition. A couple of options you could consider are. 1.  Order a replacement set of Recovery Media from HP on the link below. http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143?jumpid=hpr_r1002_usen_link1 2. If you don't mind staying with Windows 10 and as long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade from 7, you can just create installation media on another PC and perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed. http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/ Regards, DP-K

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Recovery-disk-creation-from-external-hard-drive/td-p/5621761
Relevancy 74.39%

I recently purchased External file not recognized drive (old hard recovery) a new hard drive for my system GB SSD to TB SSD and installed it with no problem I purchased a quot SATA Hard Drive to USB enclosure to assist with copying the original hard drive to the External hard drive not recognized (old file recovery) new hard drive and discovered that this could also essentially be used to turn my old hard drive into a portable external hard drive Fast forward to earlier this evening when I decided that I would also try to recover files from an older laptop that had crashed using my new toy I removed the SATA hard drive HDD inserted into the enclosure and plugged it in My issue is that when I plug it in the drive is not being recognized It is visible in the device manager under both the disk drives and storage controllers trees and is showing as quot unknown quot under disk management I tried to initialize External hard drive not recognized (old file recovery) the disk as GPT and got a message that said it was not convertible because the size is less than the minimum size required for GPT disks Also tried to External hard drive not recognized (old file recovery) use the MiniTool Partition Wizard as found in another thread with no luck it says that the drive is MB Question is can I recover this drive Is there a way to access the information on it or have my system recognize it in some way that would give me access to the files Thanks in advance for the help

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/73215-external-hard-drive-not-recognized-old-file-recovery.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi
Please could someone help. I have managed to plug in my old hard drive to try a retrieve data from it. The hard drive is showing up as E recovery but I do not know how to transfer the data over that I want to keep. The laptop is asking to format the drive but if I do this the data will be wiped.
Thanks  

A:external enclosure hard drive showing as E recovery

If you access Disk Management, what does it say about the drive. How many partitions does it show and is one of them shown as RAW or unallocatted?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/543281/external-enclosure-hard-drive-showing-as-e-recovery/
Relevancy 73.53%

Problem I suspect my external hard drive is old worn out Symptoms Device manager recognizes it as a USB device drive hard recovery External anyway crashed, program? data under Hard Disk but disk management calls it unknown and not initialized No drive letter is shown under External hard drive crashed, anyway data recovery program? my computer When I plug in the hard drive I would hear it spinning up and than quickly down than spinning up again and going back down until it finally just idles Goal Try to recover my jpgs doc and txt files Specs FantomDrives GB model number TFD U had it for about a year and a half now It had an NTFS partition and no special software was used to maintain the external hard drive nor was an operating system installed on it Just basic files if it matters My computer is a windows Vista home External hard drive crashed, anyway data recovery program? basic on a acer aspire laptop How it happened just before I left for work i had things downloaded STRAIGHT to the hard drive When I get home it seems someone in the household unplugged everything to move the laptop Since than the drive has crashed However even before External hard drive crashed, anyway data recovery program? this I noticed strange behavior like it would just stop being recognized as a hard drive in the middle of copying a GB file but at that time it was on a mac so I assumed it may have just been operating system differences with the NTFS partition Self Attempts I ve tried the drive on multiple computers as well as on macs No new drive appears I ve also tried a program called TestDisk but the program only saw my internal hard drive and nothing else After it asks me for a log thats the next screen I got and it only found one drive even though my external hard drive was connected Perhaps testDisk isn t the best of program Is there any method I can try or other programs I am desperate to recover mainly my documents and text files as well as jpgs Thank you for your time nbsp

Relevancy 73.53%

Hi Everybody Here is the scenario I was trying to remove the pre-installed Windows I figured I should create a backup in case I ever have to go back to the piece of junk software Anyway I plugged-in my external hard drive to make the backup Here s the mess up It said formatting drive Within two seconds I cancelled the operation and removed the hard drive Now when I try to access it tried on other laptops it just shows the Hard Drive as Recovery Disk with some MB data and total GB space Disk management shows GB unallocated space It s a seagate TB backup drive There was nearly GB of data on it Do I need to use some data recovery program or is there another way I don t think an entire hard drive can be formatted in seconds Can someone please help I can t stress enough how important the data on the drive is to me Regards Stished nbsp

Relevancy 72.67%

i try to backup my laptop data using system image recovery.. In the process, the system told me that 'the backup could take up to 16 GB of disc space.' So, i just create another partition (17 GB) on my external hard disc as a backup location. The process went smoothly. But unfortunately, all my external hard disc partition has been deleted and there is only one partition (RECOVERY 31.9GB ) that include recovery data is created.. Is it any way that i can apply to get back my deleted partition?

A:System image recovery has deleted my external hard drive partition

Hi Fuadansari

Can you please tell us the manufacturer and the model of the hard drive that was overwritten.

I've done that process so I think that I understand what happened. Is it an Acer laptop?

The most important thing at this point is that you DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING TO THE AFFECTED DRIVE. That means do not format it or do anything that may alter the data that is currently on it.

James

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/483524/system-image-recovery-has-deleted-my-external-hard-drive-partition/
Relevancy 71.81%

I have a duplicate image of my windows 7 system. I want to move my windows 7 system off from my 2TB drive on to a smaller 500GB drive instead. I used an imaging program to duplicate the drive contents onto the 500GB drive. My question now is, is it safe to switch to my 500GB as my primary drive and boot up from it without affecting my Windows 7 activation status, or do I need to de-activate it first on the 2TB drive then re-activate on the 500GB drive?

Thanks

A:Recovering Windows 7 system on another smaller hard drive

That should not be an issue at all.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/414494/recovering-windows-7-system-on-another-smaller-hard-drive/
Relevancy 71.81%

My Hard-drive recently crashed so I purchased a new one but I didn't have my recovery CD's so I went ahead and used my friends Windows 7 "ULTIMATE" disc not realizing that the product key I own is a Windows 7 "Home Premium" key.

Now Ultimate is installed on my machine and not authenticated so I purchased the recovery discs for Home Premium from the manufacturer's website but when I boot up the PC with the disc in the CD-ROM it just goes straight to windows and won't recognize or load the disc.

Any ideas?

A:Having problems recovering windows after a hard-drive crash.

Have you set the BIOS to boot from the DVD drive first---or, alternatively, do you have a menu available maybe by F8 during boot that will allow you to choose the DVD as the first boot device for this boot only?

I'm not sure if your recovery disks are CD or DVD, but I wouldn't expect a CD reader to read DVDs.

Are the recovery disks visible in Windows Explorer?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/200185-having-problems-recovering-windows-after-hard-drive-crash.html
Relevancy 70.95%

My Linux went down (long story) and I have been trying to get the data off. The hard drive is in great shape.

What I tried to do so far was open up my external hard drive and use the top piece that connect to the top hard drive that connects the USB/power and plugged the USB into my computer. I get a message that says installing drivers (mass storage) and then that's it, nothing else.

It doesn't show up in my computer. Where it does show up is in Computer Management/Disk Management. It doesn't show anything in the "file system" column and that makes me think that windows is not going to mount because it doesn't recognized the file system.

Thanks for any help in advance

Relevancy 69.66%

Hey guys, I was working with my grandfathers computer. The computer would not boot, it kept getting the BSOD with "Unmountable Boot Volume" At the top. Annoyed, I decided I was going to just back up whatever files were on it (Just his favorites, he has absolutely no documents or anything else)..by plugging his HD into my home PC as a slave and copying them to my flashdrive. Then I would reinstall XP Home on his Desktop, and use the flashdrive to put back his files...Sounds easy enough right? NO!!!!.....Problem is, his user account on the computer (Ralph), was Password Protected so now when I try to access any of his files (using Windows 7) I get a message saying Access Is Denied. How do I get around this. It is not possible to boot his old computer to take off the password. Are his files recoverable?
Thanks for any help!

A:Recovering hard drive files from unbootable, password protected hard drive?

You don't have to do all that to overcome an unmountable boot volume error...try running chkdsk /r command on the drive.

Start/Run...type chkdsk X: /r (where X is the drive letter assigned by XP and with spaces between k and X: and X: and /) and then hit Enter.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/251609/recovering-hard-drive-files-from-unbootable-password-protected-hard-drive/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hello Everyone,

The other day I connected my 120 GB SATA HD to my computer. Everyone does it so..what's special about this? I'll tell you what. I connected it to comp which was already powered on and running. I know it sounds foolish but can't help.

Since then, the HD isn't responding and not getting detaced by my comp. I tried connecting it to other machines also but no luck.

My guess is, only the in-buit motor of the HD could have gone short becuase of connecting it on a running PC but Data should be safe. Is there anyway to recover the data stored on it.?

Please advise.

Cheers
Kams

A:Recovering Data from an external hard disk

The only way you will get data off that is to take it to a data recovery specialist, but that will be seriously expensive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recovering-data-from-an-external-hard-disk.51832/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi Folks nbsp I have an XPS which was running a fully updated version of Windows nbsp Using Dell Backup and Recovery free edition I created a Factory Backup of Recovery Media to DVD nbsp So far so good So now the hard drive failed and I ve installed its replacement nbsp I boot off the 8.1 How for Recovery Recovery after to Windows use Drive Media Hard Replacement Recovery Media How to use Recovery Media for Windows 8.1 Recovery after Hard Drive Replacement but there are NO OPTIONS to recover that actually work nbsp On the initial screen I get Troubleshoot or Turn off your PC So I choose Troubleshoot nbsp I m then presented with Refresh Reset Advanced Options and Command Prompt nbsp Refresh says the drive is locked and to unlock it first huh nbsp If I choose a quot Reset quot I m presented with a seemingly related issue quot Unable to Reset your PC A required drive partition is missing quot Why isn t there a quot Press this stupid button and we ll reinstall everything off the Recovery Media you created quot nbsp This seems totally absurd nbsp Am I losing my mind Thanks in advance

A:How to use Recovery Media for Windows 8.1 Recovery after Hard Drive Replacement

Hi Spamcop01,
I would suggest you to try booting the system with the recovery discs again so that this time it will boot using the disc. If you’re still facing the same issue the recovery disc may be corrupt. Please send me a private message with the computer's service tag, Name registered during the system purchase and email address so that I can check and assist you further. To send a private message, click on my name and send private message.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19537766
Relevancy 69.23%

I seem to have wiped my operating system from my old laptop. it is windows vista. when i start the pc up it says it cannot detect the operating system or it is missing is there any way to fix this without a recovery disc?

A:Wiped Hard drive

and welcome to the Forum

Did you wipe the drive or are you just getting that message? I would run diagnostics on the hard drive by downloading the diagnostic tool for the hard drive brand and making a bootable disc.

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

See this for how to make a bootable cd:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...iso-file-34177

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/wiped-hard-drive-598654.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi,

I wiped my hard drive because I am selling my laptop so I downloaded Windows 10 onto a USB to load on after and now that I wiped my hard drive it just loads a blank screen with a flashing "_". I hit enter to interrupt the loading process to try and go to the USB thats plugged in to load the OS but it says bad gateway. I have a Lenovo ThinkPad E531 if that helps.

Please help!

Thanks,

Ken

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-i-wiped-my-hard-drive.1165544/
Relevancy 69.23%

My windows wasnt booting up so i reinstalled windows and basicly wiped my hard drive now the comp works but evrything is gone. drivers internet connection and pretty much everything. Can someone give me step by step help re set these things up and get my comp working again please

A:Hard drive wiped out?

To get your drivers back all you need to do is go to whatever site manufactured your computer. Dell, Toshiba, Hp, etc...

When you go to the site search around for the link on drivers. Then you'll have a list that comes up with all the computer made by that manufacturer and you find yours then it should simply lead you to your drivers.

Example mine is a Dell E510 so i search on the drivers list click that and then it will pull up my drivers.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-wiped-out.109364/
Relevancy 69.23%

hello all i need help
my son has wiped his hard drive from his pc and i havent got a clue how to get it up and running again. all that happens when we start it up is it goes onto a screen with the cmos settings and bios settings on and i havent got any installation cds as i bought pre-used i have heard from some people that you can reboot xp with floppy disc set
but from others that you need additional programs any ideas anyone
thanks mick

A:hard drive wiped

If he formatted the drive then you need an installation disk. The floppy disk set would be if the os was damaged and you needed to recover it, but it sounds like this isn't the case.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-wiped.666835/
Relevancy 69.23%

A work collegue gave his new HP Vista laptop to a so called "expert " in an effort to speed up boot times....although the laptop is now much faster regretably he has lost everything including irreplaceble photos and some documents. No he did NOT have a back up!

Please can any body suggest a reputable company or person that could possibly restore these momentoes?

Thanks for your interest.

Roy

A:Wiped hard drive

Sorry to hear of that particular type of problem. You might try writing Symantec and asking if they have a program that will help recover the files, one that comes with a free trial period perhaps. They used to be very good at this (beginning with the Norton Utilities) but with all the changes in operating systems, I'm not sure how it is being handled these days. Please post back if you find good tools for this. Good luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wiped-hard-drive.722288/
Relevancy 69.23%

I think the hard drive on my Toshiba Satellite L355D-S7825 is gone. When I reboot it, it says No bootable device-insert boot disk and press any key. So I put the recovery disk in and tried all the things that came up and it looks like there is no hard drive. I know nothing about computers obviously so I was hoping someone could tell me what I have to do. It would be SO appreciated.

A:Please help! Hard drive has been wiped out!

and welcome to the Forum

You can run diagnostics on the hard drive by downloading the diagnostic tool for the hard drive brand and making a bootable disc.

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

See this for how to make a bootable cd:

How to Burn a Bootable ISO File

If the drive has failed, you will have to replace it and reinstall the operating system and all applications

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/please-help-hard-drive-has-been-wiped-out-650942.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi,

I wiped my hard drive because I am selling my laptop so I downloaded Windows 10 onto a USB to load on after and now that I wiped my hard drive it just loads a blank screen with a flashing "_". I hit enter to interrupt the loading process to try and go to the USB thats plugged in to load the OS but it says bad gateway. I have a Lenovo ThinkPad E531 if that helps.

Please help!

Thanks,

Ken

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-i-wiped-my-hard-drive.1165543/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi, a family member has a corrupted windows, he does not have a recovery disk and the recovery partiton is corrupted aswell. Is there a way I can purchase windows vista without buying a new product key? I can still use the product key that is on the side of the case.

A:Hard drive wiped.

If you are going to purchase a copy of the OS, why wouldn't you want the product key that it comes with?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/411117/hard-drive-wiped/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hello,i accidently wiped my hard drive with my OS on and i wanted to format my external drive instead of that one.I now don't have a OS on my  laptop.I can't do it myself because they never provided me with a serial number/key for windows 8.

A:Wiped OS off hard drive

Hello @BenMills6? Not sure I understand you correctly.Are you saying you want to replace the existing SATA drive in the computer by taking another SATA drive from an external case and putting it in the PC? If so, that would work.I assume you have upgraded to Windows 8.1 from 8 already, correct? If so, the word out now is that you can clean install 8.1 without installing 8 first. If asked for a key at the beginning of the install, choose Skip. It will register with the MS servers after completion, when you update the system and it will use the embedded key info from the bios. You can grab the drivers directly from HP here...HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support You sill need to create the installer with this...Create media Windows 8.1 If it doesnt work, you would have to contact HP Support directly for the recovery media.Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site Let me know what happens.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Wiped-OS-off-hard-drive/td-p/5820413
Relevancy 69.23%

A friend of mine called me for help He booted up his computer this morning and got a message saying hard drive!! Wiped operatingsystem not found I knew from him that he Wiped hard drive!! downloaded something from a site called Lime Wire think it s some free sharing site S well I don t what he got but he got it next morning nothing was there I tried to boot it in the evening and I got no error just a black screen I took his PC and my main goal was to get his data back I hooked up the HDD to a USB-to-IDE It made a lot of funny noises mainly spinning the disks but no clicking and clanging It hardly got read by a vista OS but there was nothing there absolutly nothing I opened computer gt manage gt storage and it showed me that both partitions in the HDD are healthy but a free space for both I think the HDD is fried and I have to get a new HDD but the main issue is to get the data Back I tried to plug the HDD to another XP machine this time made the funny noises again it was recognized for a second but then it failed to read it I know the things he downloaded might have caused the issue but I m curious to know what exactly might have happened to zip all every single bit of it The second thing is there anyway I can get the data back I heard quot Final Data quot is a good program to retrieve lost data but I ve never used it before Can anyone advice if this is a good software or if there is a better recommendation before I go out and purchase it Any help would be appreciated Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 69.23%

Had an error message pop up not authenitcate boot image after Windows installed an update Prior to finding the helpful thread drive been if has a hard wiped How to tell I had taken the laptop to a computer repair shop that was nbsp weeks ago Had only attempted to hard reboot twice prior to taking it to repair shop Left laptop with specific instructions to diagnose and call Told shop if it could not be repaired for to do nothing Returned a week later to find that tech guy had diagnosed Corrupt OS Told guy to bring it How to tell if a hard drive has been wiped back and I'd pick it up and pay the diagnosis fee nbsp Returned on the day of pick up was told laptop had not been brought back as it had to be re-assembled The hard drive had not been put back in yet Asked why hard drive was removed was told it was the only way to repair it I know better Told guy that I'd be back the next day to pick it up Again not ready I picked it up the following week Diagnosis fee was waived Was told it should have the same error screen as when it How to tell if a hard drive has been wiped was delivered Tech software was still up ran through the diagnosis and no issues got into BIOS everything but CD rom disabled Found your suggestions followed same but nbsp no help Laptop appears to be empty Did these guys wipe my drive in anticipation of repairing what they didn't have to

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/How-to-tell-if-a-hard-drive-has-been-wiped/td-p/5647523
Relevancy 69.23%

Please please help,
I turned my laptop on yesterday and it said a windows file was corrupt or lost and I needed to re install that file.
I found my windows disc and reloaded the software in doing so it appears to have completely removed all the data on my C drive, the D drive has remained intact with all files and folders still there.
Is there any way I can find the documents I have lost. I don't mind about about the software it's my word documents I need (fortunately all my photos and music was on the D Drive!)
Please help
Thanks in advance
bevantjf

A:Help Hard Drive Wiped

Did you use a Recovery Disc, which would take your computer back to factory settings? Or did you format reinstall Windows? If you used a Windows XP disc, it would search for previous versions of Windows and ask if you want to overwrite your previous install or you can install to a different directory. If you used a Recovery Disc, or Reinstalled Windows then you have lost all your files. You can try Recuva Recovery, but the OS has probably over written your files.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-hard-drive-wiped-441475.html
Relevancy 68.37%

So I just bought a new HDD for my laptop. I put the new one in, and put the old one into an enclosure. I cloned my old drive to the new one, and resized the partitions (dual-boot machine) on the new drive. Ubuntu works just fine, but I can't seem to get my old version of Windows from the old drive to the new one. Every time I try I get some booting error when I pick it from GRUB.

I just buckled and reinstalled Win7, and it works with the dual-booting now, but I still want my old version.

How can I get my old Windows install to work?

A:Recovering from an external drive

Hello, and welcome! Try cloning, and then running a Startup Repair.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/44809-recovering-external-drive.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I was having some problem with one of my boot drives It was Windows and it needed to be replaced Anyway an unrelated storage drive that was bad if just if partition. wiped has or it drive my is don't a hard I know connected to my PC that had two partitions on it was taken out and was put back in When it was put it back in it showed up in the bios but not in the OS I examined it closer discovered it was showing up in the device manager It was also showing up in Administrative Tools Computer management Storage Devices But it was show up as quot unallocated quot Does this mean my drive was wiped clean or is there some tool I can use to say restore a bad partition that might help me I had the drive separated into two partitions I don t know what I did to it to make it act this way but I obviously did something Is there a particular product I can download or need to buy that can help me that is better than others Thanks for your help nbsp

A:I don't know if my hard drive is wiped or if it just has a bad partition.

"unallocated" means there are no partitions in that space (or on that drive if the whole drive shows as unallocated).
TestDisk may be able to recover the partitions that it used to show: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-dont-know-if-my-hard-drive-is-wiped-or-if-it-just-has-a-bad-partition.1050226/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi, I bought a Dell B130 laptop with a wiped hard-drive, and I am trying to install XP Pro. When I install the XP cd nothing happens. All the screen says is; 'No boot sector on internal hard drive' then it beeps twice and this comes up, 'No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility' Of course I did the F1 and F2 with no success. F2 works but I don't know what to do with the information given.

I'm trying to load it for my daughter's b-day gift. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Relevancy 68.37%

When I opened IE tonight it seemed to go directly to a Wiped My Hard Virus? Out Drive? spam virus Virus? Wiped Out My Hard Drive? site so I closed the window Then an icon with an quot x quot in a red circle appeared on my Desktop I tried to open my Trend Micro program to check it out but then a Disk Restore window popped up and started scanning Virus? Wiped Out My Hard Drive? my computer It came Virus? Wiped Out My Hard Drive? up with errors and listed many of them as critical I was not sure if this was legit or part of a virus so I rebooted my computer Now the hard drive appears to be wiped out There are no icons on my Desktop but my wallpaper is still there and I did a search for IE and that s how I reached this forum The only thing I ve done lately that is unusual is I tried to remote into my work PC from home yesterday It seemed to work so I closed out When I sat down tonight there was a message saying there was a network porblem with Citrex But I don t know if that has anything to do with it Please help Thanks

A:Virus? Wiped Out My Hard Drive?

Hello and welcomePlease follow our Removal Guide here Remove Data Restore (Uninstall Guide) .After reading how the malware is misleading you ...You will move to the Automated Removal InstructionsAfter you completed that, post your scan log here,let me know how things are.The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/421508/virus-wiped-out-my-hard-drive/
Relevancy 68.37%

I HAVE PURCHASED A THINKPAD X20 OFF E-BAY WITH A TOTALLY WIPED HARD DRIVE. NO DOS, NO COMMAND.COM, ETC. I HAVE PURCHASED A NEW WIN 98 O/S AND OTHER SOFTWARE AND AM TRYING TO INSTALL. CDROM IS RECOGNIZED (IT IS A USB ATTACHED CDROM), BUT ALL I GET ON BOOT IS "MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM". HOW DO I GET SOME SIMPLE DOS COMMANDS ONTO THE DRIVE SO I CAN EXECUTE INSTALL?

Relevancy 68.37%

Hi I just other problems... Wiped having hard now drive recently wiped the hard drive and reinstalled xp home The first time I did it we got everything up and running and before we had adequate virus protection we were just flooded with viruses so decided that we had nothing to lose in wiping the hard drive again and reinstalling xp This time once Wiped hard drive now having other problems... we had done it the computer was considerably slower and now Wiped hard drive now having other problems... is just incredibly slower When we start up the computer the icons don t load up right away it takes a minute for them to come up or the screen will load then go black and then load up again When we were downloading the Windows XP service pack it took forever to download and the last time we did that it took no time at all I have no idea why this is happening All we have done since wiping the hardrive is download AVG Anti-virus and Spyware Comodo firewall Mozilla Firefox and drivers from ati amd com for the video card The only websites we have been on is this one the one previously mentioned google the AVG website downloads com and we downloaded the windows updates fore the windows site Have we done something wrong could we have a virus that the programs haven t picked up Is there something that can be done to speed this thing up TIA nbsp

A:Wiped hard drive now having other problems...

Welcome to TSG....

Might be that you will have to install the special drivers for the computer like the chipset, buss, network, audio, video and some others. They can be found in one of the following places

The special driver disk that usually arrives with thie recovery disk set

From the manufacturer of the copmputer

From the manufacturer of the motherboard.

Start downloading them and burn to a CD-R and install as they were typed above.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wiped-hard-drive-now-having-other-problems.613928/
Relevancy 68.37%

hi,

i wiped my pb eastnote TE (didnt really know what i was doing) i was restoring it to factory settings, i thought id just have put in my usb and it would reinstall everything for me, but it hasnt.. ive no idea what to do, error mes im getting it ;there was a problem while resetting your pc, all im getting is a blue screen, but the options they are giving me are not working

thanks for looking

A:help, wiped my hard drive and cant reinstall from my usb

It would help if you explained exactly what you did, and what kind of USB media you have.

For instance, when you say "I wiped", what exactly did you do? And is the USB a Recovery Drive that had the Factory Image on it, or something else?

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/49591-help-wiped-my-hard-drive-cant-reinstall-my-usb.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I am trying to fix my granddaughters computer. A Pavillion 21.  On startup it goes to blue window. "Hard disk error" Please run Hard disk test in System Diagnostics. When I do it tells me nothing is installed. They may have deleted the partition? Is there anyway to fix this myself?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Possable-wiped-hard-drive/td-p/5623133
Relevancy 68.37%

I wanted a new laptop but I can t afford one right now so I figured the next best thing to a new computer was to just wipe the hard drive clean and reload the software that came with it and bingo just like it was fresh out of the box years ago Unfortunately I m not a computer expert and I must have missed an important step somewhere along the line I have a -year old Dell laptop that was running really slow and was just loaded with too many programs etc And I think it was infected with someone because Outlook kept crashing and loosing my data Here s what I did after I backed up OS hard now reinstalled Wiped nothing... drive and my documents and pictures Downloaded Disk Kill burned the CD and ran it probably my first mistake Popped in my Reinstallation DVD with the OS on Wiped hard drive and reinstalled OS now nothing... it that came with the computer So far everything is running smoothly I had the desktop back everything fine and looking good except the display and fonts looked kinda off and blurry This is where I think I goofed I popped in the quot Drivers and Utilities quot reinstallation DVD and loaded it to the same partition of the disk where I had just installed the OS Was I suppose to create a separate partition for the drivers Before I cleaned the HD it looked like this h DellUtility Primary Unknown Dell Restore Unallocated Now I just have a large quot C quot hard drive with a small unallocated of about I seem to recall that there were different partitions Fat Fat and NTFS Now I think I only have NTFS What happens when I boot up the computer now is I see the blue Windows XP page and then instead of going to my desktop like before it goes to a black screen that says quot PXE-E Media Test Failure quot quot PXE- MOF Exiting Broadcom PXE Rom quot I ve tried to reboot in SAFE MODE a few times by tapping the F key at start-up and even that doesn t work I sure hope someone can help me as I m all out of ideas and don t know what I did wrong And a computer shop in town will probably charge me what a new laptop would have cost Yes I probably bit off more than I could chew but after reading posts about how easy it was to refresh your computer I figured I could do it mistake number Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions as I m not sure what to do now

A:Wiped hard drive and reinstalled OS now nothing...

System model?

Did you read your owner's manual...before embarking on your adventure?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/334854/wiped-hard-drive-and-reinstalled-os-now-nothing/
Relevancy 67.94%

Hello Thanks in advance for helping me I m not sure where this topic should go so I hope this is the right place Please Hard Pro: from Solution External Affected? Are Drives Recovering Antivir My let me know if I am wrong This evening I got infected by this Antivir Solution Pro program Recovering from Antivir Solution Pro: Are My External Hard Drives Affected? I m not sure what it is but it infected my computer through the ads on a website I visited The program basically showed up as a bogus antivirus screen titled quot Antivir Solution Pro quot and I was unable to start any programs even inconspicuous ones like MSWord Recovering from Antivir Solution Pro: Are My External Hard Drives Affected? No matter what I tried to start it would say quot Application cannot be executed The file file name is infected Do Recovering from Antivir Solution Pro: Are My External Hard Drives Affected? you want to activate your antivirus software now quot with a Yes No option It also periodically gave these quot Attention Spyware Alert quot popups on my computer and also would periodically start up my Internet explorer to redirect it to adult sites I was also unable to visit any webpages at all because the software would claim that every page I was visiting was a source of infection In the end I didn t know what to do so I copied over all my files to my external hard drive and re-installed Windows So now I ve reinstalled Windows AVG Spybot S amp D and Spywareblaster and MS Office but I have a question about the files I backed up in my external hard drive I read from some other posts on this forum that some viruses could reinfect the computer via external hard drives and flash drives as they could be compromised I didn t think to back up my data on CDs instead so all I have is my external hard drive I d like to know if anyone could tell me if it s OK or not or what I should do I do need some of the files photos pdfs doc files for my work etc and I d like to know if there is anyway I could ensure my hard drive is clean before bringing them back onto my computer Many thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/337537/recovering-from-antivir-solution-pro-are-my-external-hard-drives-affected/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi,

I have a WD 750GB external drive, I was using the software Fat32 Formatter with another external drive that was connected to my computer and accidently I picked the wrong drive "WD 750GB" and erased the partition on that one. It was formatted to NFTS and I have many video and audio files on it. I downloaded the software "Recuva" to recover these files but when I browse I can't find the portable drive on my computer, I checked the disk management and I can see it there "Disk 1 698.60 GB unallocated", there's no drive letter... I right clicked and all I get new simple, spanned, stripped volume and properties", I don't know what to do anymore... Sorry I'm not a computer geek, unfortunately.

Thanks for your help.

Serge

Relevancy 67.51%

Hello,
I've been trying to downgrade from Vista to XP on a Sony Vaio, VGN-NR385E/W. When I began this process I would get the message that "Windows cannot find a hard drive". I tried a boot and nuke after I couldnt' find the right driver to change to IDE. Now I can't install XP or Vista. Desperately need help/advice on the installation process!
Thanks.

A:Installing XP on Wiped Hard Drive, formerly Vista.

and welcome to the Forum

You are likely trying to install on a SATA drive . . Vista has SATA drivers, XP Does not.

With XP, there is an additional step:

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how...ws_xp_on_a.htm

Some BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the bios and check the "Sata Operation" setting, change it to "Raid Autodetect/ATA if it is not already. Now try to install XP

Have you confirmed that you can find XP drivers for that pc?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/installing-xp-on-wiped-hard-drive-formerly-vista-253012.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi I recently had a major problem with my pc and ended up having to use the reload cd that came with my pc restoring the pc to quot out of the box quot condition As I was drive wiped Retrieving from hard files unable to access any of my Retrieving files from wiped hard drive saved files before doing this I assumed I had lost Retrieving files from wiped hard drive them I then found out that there was a possibility that I might be able to retrieve some of Retrieving files from wiped hard drive my files and downloaded a trial version of R-Studio As a complete pc novice I am totally baffled by the jargon relating to file retrieval I have scanned my hard drive using R-Studio and it would appear that many of my lost files are still on the hard drive Does anyone know how I actually go about retrieving them and is there an easy way of getting back one type of file eg JPEGs without having to sift through the thousands of files there appear to be Any help would be greatly appreciated Many thanks Adrian nbsp

Relevancy 67.51%

i m having this very strange problem with my brothers laptop it s a dell latitude year old his laptop suddenly crashed and when the laptop booted it said quot no boot sector on internal hard drive quot i tried repairing the boot sector with the error wiped hard and weird then drive windows repair function but the hard drive is just empty nothing to repair then i tried to boot off a ubuntu live cd which worked and showed me an empty hard drive with the maximum capacity of the drive GB of unallocated space since that i reinstalled windows two times and stopped working after an hour or so i installed ubuntu which worked for several days then i tried windows again clean install and then i kept working on the laptop weird error and then wiped hard drive for a couple of hours until the quot crash quot happened all the programs stopped working suddenly when i opened anything i was shown this error illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion weird error and then wiped hard drive after that everything is lost if i turn the computer off and i m back at an empty unformatted hard drive it s really weird i changed the sata operation mode in the bios to different options before every installation of windows didn t try xp because i don t have dell-xp cd s has anybody encountered anything similar to this is the hard drive broken i guess not because ubuntu works and windows also but it just goes away suddenly here s a video shot in portraitmode of the event http dl dropbox com u wind MOV thanks

A:weird error and then wiped hard drive

Run a Dell diagnostic to make sure all the hardware is functioning properly; but by the sounds of it you may be looking at a failing HDD.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/401558/weird-error-and-then-wiped-hard-drive/
Relevancy 67.51%

I completely wiped and reformatted my hard drive on a gateway desktop that is running win xp. I had to manually install drivers for sound and such but I am totally stumped as to why i cant get an internet connection. I run this comp of a cable modem through Time Warner Road Runner. I have tried everything short of getting on the phone and being left on hold forever. Any ideas out there?

Relevancy 67.51%

Hi

I urgently need help with my pc whose hard drive 'appears' to have been wiped. I know virtually nothing about computers' inner workings so please be patient with me. My gut instinct tells me that this is a trojan which is pretending that my hard drive is wiped (mcafee detected and quarantined one shortly before the system crashed) - I have tried system restore and it claims that some of the critical issues cannot be fixed and is trying to get me to pay for a better version of the programme. I don't even know where to start in resolving this? I did read a similar post in which the issue seemed to have been resolved so thought it worth posting. Many thanks in advance.

A:Trojan detected - Hard Drive Wiped!

Hello and Welcome to TSF.

Please Subscribe to this Thread to get immediate notification of replies as soon as they are posted. To do this click Thread Tools, then click Subscribe to this Thread. Make sure it is set to Instant notification by email, then click Add Subscription.

Please note that the forum is very busy and if I don't hear from you within three days this thread will be closed.

------------------------------------------------------

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined here:

NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post/attach the logs in your next reply.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

If necessary, download and run the tools in Safe Mode with Networking: Restart your computer.
After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, start pressing the F8 key.
In some systems, this may be the F5 key.
Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear.
Use the up arrow key to highlight Safe Mode with Networking and press 'Enter'.
Login on your usual account.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/trojan-detected-hard-drive-wiped-609167.html
Relevancy 67.51%

A few months ago i bought a new Seagate Barracuda gb hard drive and installed xp on it I copied over all my old files and it was working great I got a virus and wiped hard infected/possibly drive it refused to start up so I reloaded Windows All my files were still there and it worked great I forgot to restore my internet infected/possibly wiped hard drive security for days because i didn't even realize it had been erased until then I got another virus infected/possibly wiped hard drive so i tried to do the same thing the windows xp cd refused to acknowledge the existence of both the hard drive and the actual cd i was booting from so i hooked up my old hard drive as master and the newer one as a slave and the old hard drive with win also refuses to acknowledge the existence of the newer hard drive even though i've checked twice and its hooked up perfectly can someone help me with this because i'm missing some important files on the newer hard drive and i want to retrieve them

A:infected/possibly wiped hard drive

Hi and Welcome to TSF

It sounds as if you didnt format the drive and only did a repair install which would explain why all your files were still intact.
Are you not using an anti-virus program?

Does the BIOS reconize the drive?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/infected-possibly-wiped-hard-drive-106622.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi Guys, (new member)

A couple of months ago a virus came and wiped ou my HD, got the blue screen and said couldn't find the drive. So I couldn't re-install XP, could not do anything. Dell came and exchanged the HD.
Now I still have the old one with a LOT of documents on it that I lost. I can't afford to go to have it retrieved with some techie so I'm wondering:
Any ways I can do a virus sweep from DOS? And try to recover my HD? Even if I lose all the data can I recover my HD to use it as a 2nd drive?
thank you,

Relevancy 67.51%

I wiped the hard drive of one of my old desktops. I reinstalled xp and it said everything was successful. I cannot create an intenet connection. I am just plugging it directly into the modem/router. I still cannot create one. I check device manager and i have 5 yellow "?"s. I cannot update any drivers without internet. This is the first time I have reinstalled xp, without help. I guess I didn't remember everything. Please help!!!

Dan

A:[SOLVED] XP reinstall on wiped hard drive

Hi dfields78 and welcome to TSF !

This is a forum not a chat and as such it's not unusual to wait 24h or more before getting an answer. You waited exactly 15 minutes before sending me a PM... you're new so I'll be lenient but please refrain from doing so in the future. If you feel one of your threads has been overlooked reply with the word bump after 48 hours. I hope you haven't sent this PM to other staff members...

You need to reinstall the network drivers, in most cases they'll be on the motherboard CD. If you don't have the motherboard CD then without an internet connection you'll have to use another computer to download them and copy them to your computer with a CD or external drive.

What's the brand and model of your computer ? If it's a custom build then what are your complete system specs (check the "posting system specs" link in my sig). All drivers will be available from the manufacturer's website.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-xp-reinstall-on-wiped-hard-drive-288733.html
Relevancy 67.51%

i got an old pc, with a 20gb ide drive (wd200eb). the drive has been binary wiped and now i want to install a new os. in the process of doing so, windows setup said it could not install on this drive. i then took a hard drive out of another computer and connected it with the wd200eb the pc was able to boot from it. then when i went into my computer, the wd200eb was not visible. i went into disk management, hoping to format it, but it was not there, but it is visible in device manager. what is the problem??

Thanks

A:Binary Wiped Hard Drive Not Visible

The boot sectors are probably corrupted. Try regularly formatting it as an external drive. Then reformat it and reinstall the OS as an internal drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/binary-wiped-hard-drive-not-visible.83415/
Relevancy 67.51%

I recently had my hard drive wiped, (don't worry all files were stored on an external)
I figured this was a chance for a fresh start i will raise multiple questions in this thread but i shall start with this one :

From experience how affective is Avast! antivirus?

A:Hard drive wiped, a fresh start

Still here waiting for any reply ...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-wiped-a-fresh-start.111831/
Relevancy 67.51%

I bought a wiped hard drive for my Samsung With windows 7.where is the best place to get a operating system disk .also can I change it to windows 8.

A:I bought a wiped hard drive for my Samsung.

IMO skip 8 and go to 10 or stay with 7, you will be better off in the long run.  Wasting $ on 8 does not make sense when you can redo you 7 free as long as you have a valid COA sticker or jump to 10 and use the $ a little more wisely.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/564313/i-bought-a-wiped-hard-drive-for-my-samsung/
Relevancy 67.51%

I used to DBAN the other day the wipe my hard drive, completely forgetting that I needed a driver for it before I can install Windows. But I'm not particularly sure if I need the original driver, or if I can just use another program to partition the drive. I'm currently in the process of trying to get GParted to run on my bootable Linux (which is proving to be a real problem) so I wanted to know if it's even worth wasting my time if it's not what needs to be done. What's the best way to get a hard drive back into working order?

A:Wiped the hard drive, now I'm kinda stuck

Your question is vague and leaves open many assumptions. Let's try to clarify what you are asking...

Is this drive you wiped the main drive in your computer?!? Windows Xp and newer allows partitioning during the windows install process, so gparted may not be needed.
Why do you need Gparted?? Gparted should boot if you have a bootable linux disk with the application on it. Simply make sure the CD rom is the first in the boot order and it should boot to the disk.
The best way to get a drive back in working order is the format it. I recommend NTFS if it's windows, HFS+ if it's a Mac, and let linux partition however it wants to - different flavors of linux will partition & format as they see fit.

if you need a drive to install windows, generally the manufacturer has the necessary drivers on their web site to download to a floppy or a usb key & then during the install of windows it will prompt you to put in the "3rd party RAID or Controller drivers"

Hope this helps, please reply so we can help you out further.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wiped-the-hard-drive-now-im-kinda-stuck.184396/
Relevancy 67.51%

A while back I downgraded using on Recovery XP Recovering Vista Drive.. a laptop which was made with Vista pre-installed to XP for gaming purposes hence deleting the whole of C drive wiping everything including the HP Recovery Recovering Vista on XP using Recovery Drive.. Console off it So now when I start up pressing F does nothing so I cant access the Recovery Console But I still have D drive which is a recovery drive that contains the factory settings and everything I need to recover the laptop if something went wrong The only way I can think of to use D drive to re-install Vista is by booting it up and to do this I need to mark the D partition as active if Im correct yet when I try to do so the option in the drop down menu is greyed out Im not even sure if Im doing everything right but I would think its possible to boot up the recovery drive D then install Vista wiping everything off C drive and replacing it if any of that makes sense Anyone know where Ive gone wrong Thanks

A:Recovering Vista on XP using Recovery Drive..

Why are you double posting? If you made recovery discs like we suggested in your other post, then boot of of that and it will access your recovery partition unless you formatted that too.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovering-vista-on-xp-using-recovery-drive-419787.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi I picked up the Windows XP Recovery virus All my programs are gone Desktop icons are gone just was wiped out by XP Windows Recovery I Email is gone and so on After booting up all I have is an empty blue screen and Avast volume control Window Washer and quot Safely Remove Hardware quot in my taskbar And that s it I know everyone s computer problems are quot emergencies quot but I I was just wiped out by Windows XP Recovery m in a bad way here I m communicating via email about a couple of potential good jobs and now I can t correspond with the employers via email The timing of this could not be worse Please help me I had combofix and malware programs stored but I can t get to them All I have is my laptop which doen t have my email account on it and I don t know how to get it here I think I m screwed Can anyone tell me how to install and set up Outlook Express on this laptop I m using so I can have access to my email on it I do remember my logon I was just wiped out by Windows XP Recovery and password for OE I ve got my fingers crossed Thank you

A:I was just wiped out by Windows XP Recovery

This one is a female dog.

I did the "view hidden files" thing and now have access to my email. I have to do a "search" to find it usint the search companion but I found it at least.

I also have a file called virus and found it. It still contains all my folders. As an experiment, I tried to open ComboFix.exe and it wouldn't load.

I'm flummoxed by this one. I'm at a total loss on this one.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/398489/i-was-just-wiped-out-by-windows-xp-recovery/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi there,

I won't get too deeply into the harrowing saga of how two external hard drives of mine died within days of each other. Rather, I'll just say that I would like to do a virus scan on several external hard drives (including/especially the one I just got to replace the others). In other words, I want to find out if there was a virus or something in the material that I'm putting on the hard drives that makes them die. Could this be possible? If so, how can I conduct a virus scan specifically on the external drives?

Thanks!
Sonya

A:Scanning an external hard drive for viruses? External Hard drive DRAMA!

In My Computer . . right click the external drive and select Scan with { name of AV }

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/scanning-an-external-hard-drive-for-viruses-external-hard-drive-drama-186769.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I have a Lacie gb usb hard drive and yesterday my Drive Lacie External from Data Recovering wife accidentally knocked it off of the table about feet onto carpeted floor It is not recognized at all by My Computer or Device Manager As you can expect my main goal is to recover the data some but not all is backed up-- yeah yeah I know backup backup backup I ve learned the hard way Prefer not to use a service but will explore that as a last resort The led power light still goes on and have tried several times restarting computer and or drive unplugging re-connecting refreshing etc -- there is definitely some type of mechanical malfunction Also tried running quot chkdisk F f quot but got the message quot Cannot open volume for direct access quot When I turn the drive s power switch Recovering Data from Lacie External Drive on the light turns on and I hear a barely audible quot mechanical beep quot for about seconds before it stops There doesnt appear to be any other noise coming from the drive whether on or off Hope you can help thanks nbsp

A:Recovering Data from Lacie External Drive

You can try some of the below apps (list courtesy of another mod, I believe Elvandil, but may be incorrect):

Free recovery applications:

Dr. Freeware Boot CD (also has partition tool, drive cloner and imager)
DiskDigger & NTFSWalker
Pandora Recovery (Free for personal use)
Smart Data Recovery
Recover Files
Roadkil's Undelete
Recuva
Restoration
Free Undelete (NTFS only)
Softperfect File Recovery
ADRC Data Recovery Tools
Undelete Plus
Data Recovery
PCI File Recovery
DriveRescue
Ultimate Data Recovery
Disk Investigator

Commercial:

O&O Disk Recovery
Paragon Mount Everything (Mounts any file system, CD/DVD burning, File Manager, Partitioner)
GetDataBack (For FAT or NTFS)
Ontrack EasyRecovery Pro
File Scavenger
Recover My Files
RecoverPlus Pro
Zero Assumption Recovery
Active@ File Recovery
Final Recovery
Recover4All Professional
Easeus Data Recovery Wizard
NTFS Recovery[/QUOTE]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-data-from-lacie-external-drive.958855/
Relevancy 67.08%

So I am hoping there is a simple solution to this and that I am just overlooking or forgetting something I have an old PC that the Mobo died I do not wish to get it functional again just retrieve the data off from files Recovering protected an external drive the hard drive I have a IDE to USB adapter and have hooked up the drive to another machine I have to copy the data But the users on this drive made there personal folders Recovering protected files from an external drive within windows private C Documents and Settings Username and they show up as kb and when I try to access them it says I do not have the permission to access this file How can I get around that I have tried to boot from that drive but because the chipset is different on my machine windows will not boot I have the usernames and passwords for the accounts that have the private Recovering protected files from an external drive folders but there doesn't seem to be a way to try and log in with that information Any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated

A:Recovering protected files from an external drive

You must insure that your personal account is set as being an Administrator. Check the properties for your account. Then access the old hard drive and see if anything is in the source folders.

If you are an Administrator on the new system, and the Profile Folders on the old hard drive are still shown as empty, this means you were not Administrator on the old system and you cannot access other Profiles.

After you ensure you are an Administrator on your new system, try change the Security Properties for the entire old HD (you right-click the root folder on the old HD) and Add your new system User to that drive as an Administrator. Reboot and try to access the old HD again and check the Profiles.

The bottom line, you must be an Administrator on your old HD to access Profiles belonging to others.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovering-protected-files-from-an-external-drive-248798.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Just a couple months after warranty of course this fickle laptop has come up with blue screen, need of repair/recover and error 0xc0000185.  I have downloaded 8.1 from microsoft and tried to reinstall and also from my external drive with my saved recovery but the computer simply won't go there when it starts up.  Does anyone know how I can recover using either an external DVD/USB/SSD? I have most of my files backed up so a total reinstall of windows and office and everything else is acceptable although a pain, just want to use my laptop again.  Many thanks!
Dell, this is my first Dell computer and my last Dell computer!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19984339
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi all I am a newbie to the forum and believe I am in the right forum I truly need your help on this one My computer is a sony vaio I refurbished years ago I use primarily for my business QB's and gaming and internet Nothing has ever happened to my computer ever I have Verizon and chose fiber optics along with Verizon security and firewall I do not use Outlook and view my email online at Verizon net A few months ago this pesky pop-up AIM AOL security message relentlesly showed up every few minutes and I clicked it off Just pesky and I could never seem to get rid of it and never opened it up and my computer never showed signs of intervention Last night my and year old boys were checking out MY Space for kids and shut down the computer This morning when I started my computer the Welcome to Sony page appeared When I tried to start in Safe mode the computer wanted a disk in the A drive I then proceeded without enabling the drive and it wanted to begin as though I had just purchased the computer and took me through the entire set-up process Nothing is there All my files are gone All my programs have been deleted What is going on and what happened Can that virus do this Or did someone hit a few buttons that made drive challenge me...hard Security clean for wiped my system go back to quot System Recovery quot Can anyone shed some light on what happened I truly appreciate your feedback

A:Security challenge for me...hard drive wiped clean

This information won't help you, other than to confirm your findings. My daughter was at a relatives house & using myspace last week and their hard drive was completely wiped clean, same as what you experienced.

Yesterday she was on my computer - again, on myspace, and my hard drive was totally wiped. I lost EVERYTHING. 2 hard drives in 2 weeks, both after visiting myspace.

Anyone know anything about what is going on? Can I repartition this drive & use it, or is there a virus that will still reside on the drive & I should just junk it? We need help!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/security-challenge-for-me-hard-drive-wiped-clean-263759.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I am helping my neighbor who is very much a newbie to the computer world They called me because their computer won t boot up I went over to look and found that the computer couldn t find [(^_^)] Wiped, Behind Folder a Left Named: Drive Hard a version of Windows to boot to I looked a little deeper and saw that the hard drive appears to be practically empty I d like some help understanding what in the world happened Was it a virus Here are some more details The hard drive partitions remain It still has the FACTORY IMAGE partition which appears to be unaffected by whatever happened Also the MB Hard Drive Wiped, Left Behind a Folder Named: [(^_^)] partition that Windows creates was there as well However the main parition where Windows and all their files used to sit is practically empty It only has folders ProgramData a Recovery RMTemp In folders and a there are two files RecoveryMgrDump txt RecoveryMgrDumpNew txt Folder is empty Everything else that used to be in this partition Hard Drive Wiped, Left Behind a Folder Named: [(^_^)] such as Windows Users Program Files etc is all gone Has anyone out there seen this before Does anyone know what would have caused this to Hard Drive Wiped, Left Behind a Folder Named: [(^_^)] happen I ve certainly never seen a virus do anything like this before but I wouldn t be surprised I d be happy to post the contents of the txt files if it helps Any help or insight would be appreciated

A:Hard Drive Wiped, Left Behind a Folder Named: [(^_^)]

Whats in the contents of the 2 text files?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/414595/hard-drive-wiped-left-behind-a-folder-named/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi My name is Alison I was trying to fix my laptop and ended up making things a lot worse I ran DBAN and during the process i realized i have no way to reinstall Vista Home Basic OS so i aborted the wipe after or mins into it Its a Compaq Presario CQ On the back CQ61) Presario no drive hard now have (Compaq the OS Wiped i of the L T i have a sticker with a product key but when i purchased it i never got a CD for Vista I dont have recovery discs either So like i said i stopped DBAN from completing the wipe however now when i turn the L T on it says quot NO BOOTABLE DEVICE -- INSERT BOOT DISK AND PRESS ANY KEY quot I tried doing System Recovery but the same message comes up i also found a Vista Recovery online and burnt to cd-r but it stills says quot NO BOOTABLE DEVICE -- INSERT BOOT DISK AND PRESS ANY KEY quot Is there a way to copy a different version of windows OS Wiped the hard drive now i have no OS (Compaq Presario CQ61) from a different PC and make that a 'boot disc' I dont really understand what a boot disc is Im not sure what to do to fix this issue any help or advice is appreciated if you could please explain with details that would be a big help to me Thanks in advance Alison

A:Wiped the hard drive now i have no OS (Compaq Presario CQ61)

Please do not post more then one thread about the same problem.
Wiped the hard drive now i have no OS (Compaq Presario CQ61)

Quote:

I ran DBAN

DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) is a low level format utility. Once you start this, it begins to wipe the drive of your OS. Stopping it in the middle is too late. If you had just run System Recovery would have set your system back to Factory Defaults, but DBAN deleted that too. You cannot copy an installed OS and put it on a different computer. An OS has to be installed from a boot disc (a disc that boots the computer if the OS can't)
What is the Vista recovery disc that you have? Boot into Setup (Bios) and change the Boot order to be CD/DVD rom drive First Boot Device, Save and Exit. Restart the computer with the disc in and you should see the message Press Any Key to Boot From CD/DVD.If it is a Vista install DVD then you can reinstall your OS. If not a Windows disc, you can try contacting your computer manufacturer and see if you can get a Recovery DVD for your computer manufacturer Or get a Vista DVD from Ebay or Craigslist.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/wiped-the-hard-drive-now-i-have-no-os-compaq-presario-cq61-673885.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hey everyone I'm curious if any of you can help me with an issue I am dealing with So earlier today my laptop was working perfectly I was using it to do a PowerPoint presentation for my class After it was done I closed clean Laptop hard drive randomly wiped it and did not open until I got home later Laptop hard drive wiped clean randomly to work Laptop hard drive wiped clean randomly on homework Except when I opened it everything was gone It looked like it was restored Laptop hard drive wiped clean randomly to factory setting but had a plain black background So naturally I restarted my computer in hopes that would fix the problem but it didn't I am very worried cause I have a lot of music files and sentimental photos I do not want to lose I do have a back up disc but it's from so it does not have most of the files that i need back I am sorry for the lack of information but I ain't that knowledgeable in computers So if anyone can help and tell me what the possible reasons this happened and ways to fix it would be great Thanks everyone and if you need any questions answered I'll try to ask them the best that I can

A:Laptop hard drive wiped clean randomly

First off have you tried to boot up in Safe Mode?
Start your computer in safe mode - Microsoft Windows Help

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/327173-laptop-hard-drive-wiped-clean-randomly.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I had a hard drive crash weeks after the warranty on my HP Elite Pavilion Desktop ran out in September last year I replaced the hard drive with a WD TB was a Seagate I think GB Now months later the new hard drive is acting up I do not have extensive technical computer experience but I did run the diagnostics on it the one that came with HP - PC Doctor or similar and Wiped Hard to Help Settings Returned and - Factory Drive got Help - Wiped Hard Drive and Returned to Factory Settings quot Passed quot on the hard drive on one occasion and quot Failed quot on another I decided to just use the CDs to do a complete restore to factory settings I am running Windows Home Premiums Vista bit I believe Anyway I have gotten through the process twice now but the computer seems to get hung up after it Help - Wiped Hard Drive and Returned to Factory Settings says the reset is complete using the discs I ordered from HP When it reboots it goes through the normal blue screen then Windows green bar thingy and then it gets to and stays on a white screen with two folder icons with a little sheet of paper quot flying over quot from one to the next It seems to stay here forever The first time I turned off the PC after several hours and when I turned it back on it said BOOTMGR was missing I have just done it the second time and am wondering how long I should let it stay on while on this white screen with the two folders before I give up again Hope this makes sense and that I am providing enough information to receive some assistance Thanks Kelli

A:Help - Wiped Hard Drive and Returned to Factory Settings

Hi Kelli, if you could fill out you System Specs so we can get a better look at your system. Have you run CHKDSK from an elevated command prompt on the drives? Are you trying to recover from the recovery disc you made when you 1st purchased the PC are these the same disc you used to installed vista on the new drive? Are you able to check the recovery discs to see if the discs are ok? Do you have any back ups?

Check Disk - chkdsk

You can also run the Disk Management.
At the Start Search type diskmgmt.msc or diskpart

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/280239-help-wiped-hard-drive-returned-factory-settings.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I just got a wiped clean hard drive. How do I down load windows vista on the hard drive?

A:wiped clean hard drive (moved from Programming)

and welcome to the Forum

Start the pc with the Vista installation DVD in the DVD drive and follow the prompts

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/wiped-clean-hard-drive-moved-from-programming-403786.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi My name is CQ61) now drive hard no have Presario Wiped i (Compaq OS the Alison I was trying to fix my laptop and ended up making things Wiped the hard drive now i have no OS (Compaq Presario CQ61) a lot worse I ran DBAN and during the process i realized i have no way to reinstall Vista OS so i aborted the wipe after or mins into it Its a Compaq Presario CQ On the back of the L T i have a sticker with a product key but when i purchased it i never got a CD for Vista I dont have recovery discs either So like i said i stopped DBAN from completing the wipe however now when i turn the L T on it says quot NO BOOTABLE DEVICE -- INSERT BOOT DISK AND PRESS ANY KEY quot I tried doing System Recovery but Wiped the hard drive now i have no OS (Compaq Presario CQ61) the same message comes up i also found a Vista Recovery online and burnt to cd-r but it stills says quot NO BOOTABLE DEVICE -- INSERT BOOT DISK AND PRESS ANY Wiped the hard drive now i have no OS (Compaq Presario CQ61) KEY quot Im not sure what to do to fix this issue any help or advice welcome but please explain in details Is there a way to copy a different version of windows OS from a different PC and make that a 'boot disc' I dont really understand what a boot disc is Thanks in advance Alison

A:Wiped the hard drive now i have no OS (Compaq Presario CQ61)

Hi, Alison.

A boot disk is the hard drive which your PC boots from and starts Windows, but your hard drive has had the boot files and Windows (or some of it) wiped off it with DBAN. DBAN is used to securely wipe all data from a hard drive prior to selling it or otherwise disposing of it -- this prevents any data from getting into the wrong hands.

You will have to contact HP/Compaq and ask them if they can send you a set of Recovery CDs for your model.

Contact information for the USA: Contact HP - Phone Assist | HP

For the UK: Contact HP - Phone Assist | HP

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/wiped-the-hard-drive-now-i-have-no-os-compaq-presario-cq61-673883.html
Relevancy 67.08%

My laptop had a hard drive crash and I lost the entire drive. It has been replaced with a new drive, and now I need to set it up for use. Would you please point me to some directions as to how to do this, how to determine what driver(s) I need to download and install and how how to configure settings. Should the drive be partitioned? After it has been set up, I then need to install Windows XP and MS Office. Thanks very much for any help.

A:Need instructions: How to setup a hard drive that has been wiped clean

Below are the steps to format and reinstall XP.

Formatting The Hard Drive In XP

There are several ways to format in XP:

1 During install

2. Using Disk management under administrative tools

3. Using the recovery console

4. Using start run cmd then the format command.

5. Right click on the drive in explorer and select format.

6. Using a Win98 boot disk

Note: WinXP will not let you mess with the boot partition or system partition since both contain items required to boot and run winXP. Thus, you should use the install process to format system and boot drive.

Here is the easiest way to perform a "Clean Install" of XP:

Using Windows XP CD:

1. Insert your XP CD in the drive upon booting computer.

2. You will be given some options here. You can select:

· Clean Install

· New Installation

· Advanced ...and others I believe. But since this tutorial teaches a Clean Installation of XP, select "Clean Install".

3. Put a checkmark in the box to "designate where you want to install XP" (or some such dialog). Typically, you will choose to install XP on your C: drive.

4. Next, you will need to select the file system you wish to use. I recommend selecting NTFS as it is more secure than the FAT32 system.

5. Setup will then format the partition you chose and then you can install XP clean on that partition. Be sure that if you have more than one partition, you select the correct one.

6. Install your Windows XP Operating System. Using Windows 98 Boot Disk:

Get yourself a Windows 98 boot-diskette with fdisk. Delete all partitions and THEN boot from the CD. If XP's setup finds formatted partitions, it proceeds without user intervention. If it doesn't find any, setup will prompt you for partitioning and formatting. Using Floppy Drive:

If you are not able to boot from your CD-ROM, try changing the boot order in your BIOS so that your CD-ROM boots first. If you happen to have a machine that doesn't offer a bootable CD-ROM, you can create the 6 boot discs (below) to allow booting from your Floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Utility:

Setup Disks for floppy boot install (requires 6 floppies) http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=33291

Windows XP Home Edition Utility: Setup Disks for floppy boot install http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=33290

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-instructions-how-to-setup-a-hard-drive-that-has-been-wiped-clean.580565/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi My computer's picked up a trojan virus I had one about a year ago and people were very helpful about it on here But this one seems to be a to Trojan wiped 'appears' whole virus out have drive hard lot more disruptive and i'm not sure how many helpful details i'm going to be able to give you At the Trojan virus 'appears' to have wiped out whole hard drive moment i can't even run a scan on the system or provide any error logs as the whole hard drive seems to have been wiped out by something claiming to be 'windows xp recovery' who want to charge me a premium for them to 'fix' the problem Except i'm pretty sure everything's still there really as when i tried to run a scan - which eventually got disrupted - it was still going through all my normal files I can only guess this virus has essentially hidden my real hard drive and want money to bring it back under the guise of 'fixing' a problem it has in fact created It reminds me of the mob asking for protection money Anyway like i say the information i can give you is scant but the error messages are telling me- there's a problem with the 'ide sata hard disks' that there's a 'bad sector on the hard drive which may cause data corruption and loss hard drive inaccessability system errors and failures' and that 'windows was unable to save the file system a ' I have combofix installed from the last time this happened but it looks empty I'm not sure i can get onto the web to download anything And i can boot up windows recovery mode but not sure what best to do with it Does anyone have any advice or is it time to invest in a new computer Thanks

A:Trojan virus 'appears' to have wiped out whole hard drive

The malware help forum is here: Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help - Tech Support Forum

Copy the text from your above post and paste it into a new post on the above forum.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/trojan-virus-appears-to-have-wiped-out-whole-hard-drive-578856.html
Relevancy 66.65%

A couple months back my system crashed. I was told to back up the comp using the Recovery drive on Vista. Did that, now my question is.."How do I get the data FROM the Recovery drive. Tried to contact Gateway...They were no help. I am only concerned about the photos that are "Hopefully" on the recovery drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Recovering data after using Recovery drive in Vista

go to your start menu and click on my computer and look for your D drive, that is your recovery drive.
to get your photos just right click on the D drive and open and you will find your files and pictures there in the recovery folder.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/recovering-data-after-using-recovery-drive-in-vista-431169.html