Windows Support Forum

External hard drive broken shows up in device manager but not My Computer

Q: External hard drive broken shows up in device manager but not My Computer

I have a Western Digital 250 GB external HD that had been working perfectly until yesterday afternoon. It has been making this repetitive whirring noise *not the clicking noise of death* and it died before I had a chance to copy the data onto another external. When I plug in the USB it makes the connection noise, but autoplay does not come up and it does not show up in my computer anymore. I did look in device manager and disk management and it does show up but it had no drive letter and it says unreadable. (I've attached a screenshot of this)

i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i359/aadickinson88/ss2.jpg
i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i359/aadickinson88/ss1.jpg

Is there any way I can recover the data off of it? Should I just take it out of the enclosure and hook it up to a desktop pc?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: External hard drive broken shows up in device manager but not My Computer

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: External hard drive broken shows up in device manager but not My Computer

It sounds like the drive itself is dead rather than the enclosure. The repetitive 'whirring' noise likely is immediately following the click of death, just the click is pretty quiet on a lot of notebook drives. If yours is a full size (3.5") drive in that enclosure, then perhaps you are right and the click of death isn't occurring.

In either case, its not going to hurt to hook it up internally, because even if it doesn't work you aren't any worse off than you are now.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-broken-shows-up-in-device-manager-but-not-my-computer.163770/
Relevancy 83.08%

I've spent most of the night searching and cannot seem to find an answer to my problem so I registered with the hopes that someone here may be able manager, device My Drive shows not in Computer Hard to help I have a NAS set up with two TB Samsung Spinpoint hard drives The hard drives in the NAS were partitioned to have GB in a RAID and the remainder in a RAID One seemed to be failing so I removed it hoping I could connect it externally to my laptop and recover the data When I hooked it up Hard Drive shows in device manager, not My Computer to the laptop it seemed to connect fine but did not show in My Computer When I went to Computer Management Hard Drive shows in device manager, not My Computer - Disk Management it shows the partitions as healthy see image - Disk However when I right click on the partitions to assign a drive letter the only options available are Delete Volume and Help Same when right clicking the Disk all that is available is Convert to Dynamic Disk Properties and Help Any help would be greatly appreciated Hard Drive shows in device manager, not My Computer Thank you

A:Hard Drive shows in device manager, not My Computer

Did you try accesing the drivers from device manager ? (right click 'open')

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/202735-hard-drive-shows-device-manager-not-my-computer.html
Relevancy 81.53%

Hi there,
I've been having a hard time with my secondary hard drive showing up when I go into the "computer" option under my start menu. It does appear under Device Manager though.
I've reseated my cables numerous times, purchased and used new Sata cables, and I'm also running a new motherboard. I've also changed and disabled all my sleep options already.
I recently switched to using a Primary SSD for my programs to be installed on but ever since switching over to my SSD my HD no longer appears and I can't save anything to it.
Any advice? Thanks.

A:Secondary Hard Drive Disappears in 'Computer' Shows in Device Manager

You seem to need to assign the drive a path. Do this:
1. Open the windows search bar by pressing the windows logo in the bottom left corner of your screen
2. Search disk
3. Find the option labeled Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions
4. Select it
5. Find your hidden disk
6. Then assign your disk a path and it should appear in My Computer

Hope I helped!

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/361894-secondary-hard-drive-disappears-computer-shows-device-manager.html
Relevancy 103.63%

...It initially didn't show up in 'Computer' (or My Computer). Device manager said its working properly.
I put the Vista Disc in (had to get a pirate one from someone because my disc drive won't read the official one all of a sudden) and tried to install Vista on this one as a way of forcing it to show, only to get an error code 0x8007000cl. I then split the new 1.5 tb drive into 98 gb and about 1300 gb via the vista DVD's drive list that comes up, partitioned the 98 gb, and now that smaller one at least shows up under 'Computer' but it still wont allow me to format it.

Any ideas please? Thanks.

A:3rd hard drive shows in device manager but..

The fact that your system will not load your disk is worrisome, but I suspect you have a defective drive, or inadequate resources. Tell us more about your computer brand and model, or about the motherboard.
Is this a new SATA drive you are dealing with?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/3rd-hard-drive-shows-in-device-manager-but.139957/
Relevancy 93.74%

I am trying to access files on a hard drive from a different computer which will no longer load the OS. I have connected the hard drive using a usb adapter. When I plug it in, I get a notice that the device is ready to use, but it does not show up in Computer.

It is visible in the disk manager. There is no drive letter assigned and the options to do so are grayed out. Most of the options in device manager are grayed out, except for 'delete volume' and 'help'.

A:hard drive w/ usb adapter- drive shows in disk manager, not computer

Welcome to the forum,

Can you post a maximized screenshot of your full disk management window.

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/234307-hard-drive-w-usb-adapter-drive-shows-disk-manager-not-computer.html
Relevancy 92.88%

hi computerfriends,

I got a problem, my external hard drive (westen digital 1.0TB) isn't popping up my computer. I can see it in devices (USB to ATA/ATAPI bridge) but i can't acces it. What i've done already:Computer Management-> Disk Management. Than ive to initialize the disk, i can choose between MBR and GPT. In both cases i got the error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check). I can't chance any letter
Downloaded different programs but non of them worked

I've to get my files, it's important. I hope some of you know now the sollution.

A:External hard drive shows up in devices but not in my computer

Hello indoow and welcome to Seven Forums. Couple of things to try:

1. Try using a different USB port.

2. Try changing the drive letter.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html

3. If you have access to a live Linux CD like Ubuntu you may find that Ubuntu will recognize the external hard drive in Computer.

4. The hard drive may be going bad. You could go to the manufacturer's web site and look for diagnostic tools to check the drive. Or you could use SeaTools for Windows from Seagate (works on non-Seagate drives as well.)

| Seagate

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/210752-external-hard-drive-shows-up-devices-but-not-my-computer.html
Relevancy 92.02%

The hard drive is a Western Digital 320 GB that I've had plugged into this computer before (and worked). Then i got a virus and had to do a recovery of windows.

Ever since then I can't get windows to recognize/show it in my computer. I just "disabled" and "enabled" it in device manager to no effect. I have a C, D, and E drive which are: two partitions on the hard drive, and then the CD drive (respectively).

So i'm stuck, not sure where to proceed since it's obviously not the hard drive itself, I use it on my xbox all the time. What next?

A:External Hard Drive doesn't show up in "my computer" but does in "device manager"

Does it show in Disk Management ? ?
Right clik My Computer...select Manage...then Disk Management.
Find the drive...right clik it and select Properties.
Report back with your findings.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/276295-external-hard-drive-doesnt-show-up-my-computer-but-does-device-manager.html
Relevancy 90.73%

Ok So I ve got this - gig external maxtor Diamondmax -model L R - GB PATA HDD in data external allow or hold shows computer but won't drive my reformat hard -NO JUMPER DS SLAVE -CS ENABLED -MANUFACTURE DATE APR Ok so the problem is it used to have my entire schoolwork business music files and so forth on it It worked great and as soon as I got all of my information transfered onto it it external hard drive shows in my computer but won't hold data or allow reformat went kaput Ever since then I ve been unable to view any data on it The way it works is it connects via USB and lights up the icon usually not always but usually appears in my computer I can open it but there is nothing there it is just an empty window So even though all my data is there I say whatever I need the storage space so I external hard drive shows in my computer but won't hold data or allow reformat ll just reformat it well it allows me to right click and select reformat but nothing ever loads or happens I have tried copying and pasting files there and none of them actually pastes or transfers I ve searched the forums and tried bringing it up in computer management gt disk management or removable storage but it doesn t show up there Please help me to figure out a way to either A get it working again with the data still intact or B allow me to reformat it so that I can just use the darn thing for storage Really either option would be great amazing excellent I just really could use some help and am willing to try whatever you can recomend but I just need it to work PLEASE HELP ME I am ALL EARS Thanks in advance for a quick reply it means a lot to me Thanks nbsp

A:external hard drive shows in my computer but won't hold data or allow reformat

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-shows-in-my-computer-but-wont-hold-data-or-allow-reformat.578293/
Relevancy 88.58%

I have a big problem. I booted my computer and I got a BSOD with no error or driver. So I used another hard drive to boot from, and my main hard drive doesnt show up under my computer. I looked in device manager, and it is there. Im using a program that will recover my data, and so far it found the partition, but I was wondering---

1- how do you read data from a raw hard drive
2- if i have a registry back up and i copy all of the files, then will the hard drive boot

Thanks! Happy Holidays

Relevancy 86.86%

I have just installed a new hard drive. (Maxtor STM3160815AS 160GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 8MB Cache) The OS detected the new drive on start up but it wasn't displayed in My Computer. In Device Manager drive was displayed and it says that the drive is working correctly. I installed the drive in the second SATA port of four as the first already had a drive plugged into it.

I did notice that one of my optical drives also disappeared. I tried unplugging its power supply but this didn't help the hard drive problem.

Any idea what I should do? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
(Windows XP Pro SP2)

A:Solved: Installed hard drive not detected in My Computer but seen in Device manager.

Is it partitioned, formatted, have a drive letter?

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

Is the CD-ROM in Device Manager and working properly?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-installed-hard-drive-not-detected-in-my-computer-but-seen-in-device-manager.658572/
Relevancy 86.43%

Hello, I believe last week I had the similar problem with my Memory card but I could still gain access and now my External HDD is acting up. I am not sure if I downloaded a file which may have caused a virus and damaged it.

Basically I don't even know if it is possible for me to data recover my files as I tried with 2 different machines and still displaying I/0 device error

I forgot to mention the drive makes a ticking noise

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/401892-external-hard-drive-computer-does-not-recognise-i-0-device-error.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Two of my USB external Hard drives a Fantom GB and a Western Digital My Book GB cannot be seen in My Computer I can see them Computer Manager External & Manager drives Device but in show not Disk in Device Manager and that says that they are working properly and the drivers are up to Date In Disk Manager the external drives had a black bar unlike the other drives which had blue bars The external disks had a number assigned to them but no letter I have tried diskpart in the command prompt was able to External drives show in Device Manager & Disk Manager but not Computer assign a letter then had to format the drives and they did show up in My computer as valid empty external hard drives with the correct amount of space on them But when I tried to recover the backed up data for one of the disks less than a External drives show in Device Manager & Disk Manager but not Computer third of the capacity of either drive they went back to not being recognized by My Computer ans in disk manager had a black line with no letter again I just went through that process again got both drives back and tried to recover the backed up files to my Fantom drive and lost the Fantom drive once again I am attaching screen shots of my current My Computer Computer in Device Manager and Disk Manager In Device Manager you can see the Fantom The My Book is the WD AAV In Disk Manager the My Book shows healthy External drives show in Device Manager & Disk Manager but not Computer with Disk and the letter L The Fantom is Disk with no letter and a black bar In My computer the My Book is there but not the Fantom Any ideas for this I am about to just recover my computer to factory setup and start new I have saved all my important files and mail to the newer Toshiba Canvio Thanks in advance Dick

A:External drives show in Device Manager & Disk Manager but not Computer

Hi Dick1030,

Welcome to Seven Forums.

Please do as follows:

1. It is unusual for the System Reserved Partition to have a drive letter. Please remove the drive letter.

2. Please remove (always Safely Remove) all the external drives including any card reader and do a drive cleanup as indicated here. http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/298744-usb-thumb-drives-not-recognised-not-drive-letter.html#post2477076 It will clean your system of all non-present devices and you will be starting with a clean slate.(Incidentally this can resolve many drive letter assignment confusion of Windows OS, as you can see in the referenced thread.)

3. After you reboot on completion of the drive cleanup, plugin only your WD My Book and the Fantom drive. As you plug-in the driver for each device will be installed ab-initio. You can watch it.

4. Now take a screenshot of the Disk Management and post. While taking the screenshot, click on "Show/Hide Console Tree” and “Show/Hide Action Pane” buttons on the toolbar on top to hide those and also pull up the center partition line up as much as possible so that we get a clear and full view.

5. Also tell us whether you are sure that you had formatted the Fantom drive and it contains data and whether you want to recover the data..

(Your statements and the screenshots are so confusing - atleast to me - it is necessary that you do the above and restate the problem.)

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/302717-external-drives-show-device-manager-disk-manager-but-not-computer.html
Relevancy 83.42%

HI PEOPLE,
MY CD/DVD DRIVE ON MY WIN XP HOME SP2 PAVILLION t3310.it PC SHOWS ON DEVICE MANAGER AS OK, BUT DOES NT SHOW OR SPIN WHEN ANY DISC IS INSERTED. I REMEMBER HAVING LOADED NERO 7, THEN EXPRESS BURN SOFTWARE AND NTC CD/DVD CREATOR ON SAME PC. IT WORKED FINE TILL 5DAYS AGO WHEN I TRIED TO BURN SOME VIDEO CONVERTED CLIPS . IT TOOK SO LONG, DID NT BURN AND AFTER THAT MY DEVICE STOPPED WORKING.
AM DESPERATE. I FOLLOWED A LINK ON A SEARCH THAT SENT ME TO THE REGISTRY TO ELIMINATE "UPPERFILTERS/LOWER FILTERS ONLY TO MISTAKINGLY DELETE MY KYBD AND MOUSE.
NOW I'VE DONE A WHOLE NEW REINSTALLATION OF WINDOWS BUT STILL THE PROBLEM PERSISTS.I CHECKED ALL CABLES, EVERYTHING IS INTACT.
IT SPINS WHEN I REBOOT THE PC BUT IT WONT ON ANY CD INSERTION.
PLEASE HELP ME OUT.
THANX.

A:CD/DVD drive (TSSTcorpCD H552D) doesn't work but shows in device manager

Despite what the Device Manager says the drive could still be bad. In the Device Manager check under IDE ATA/ATAPI controller to see if any of the controllers have changed to PIO mode instead of the faster DMA or UDMA mode.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cd-dvd-drive-tsstcorpcd-h552d-doesnt-work-but-shows-in-device-manager.133405/
Relevancy 83.42%

Yesterday, I started a download and kept the pc on with my Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex External HDD 1TB plugged in. After I woke up I realized that there was a power cut and the computer went off unexpectadly (I had no UPS or any backup system).And, I found that my Ext HDD was not seen in my computer anymore (It was working perfectly until before I went to bed).
In device manager, under 'Disks' it shows 'GoFlex Hard Disk', but in BIOS or Disk Manager there is no sign of this HDD.

I really need the data in the HDD badly. Please help me recover it.
P.S. I read somewhere that keeping the HDD in freezer might help and give a little more time. Is that true? Worth the risk?

A:External HDD gets detected in Device Manager but not Disk Manager or seen in 'My Computer'

Power outage probably killed something in the enclosure or its PSU. The drive in the enclosure is probably fine. I would remove the drive from the enclosure and put it in a dock or install it in a desktop computer before considering freezing it. Freezing is usually reserved for click of death drives, and a last ditch effort.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-gets-detected-in-device-manager-but-not-disk-manager-or-seen-in-my-computer.201343/
Relevancy 81.7%

Hi all I have a 750gb seagate external hard drive , and the usb port bit broke on it so ive taken the hard drive out the casing . just wanted to know is this a 3.5" .as I bought new one so thinking of selling this one on ebay or using it for my pc. any more info needed please reply thanks

A:External hard drive broken

Anyone please ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-broken.197512/
Relevancy 81.7%

i have a western digital 2 terabyte external hard drive and the part where u plug in the usb into the back of the hard drive broke off when it fell on the floor i was wondering if i could just buy an external enclosure for desktop hard drives and put in my external hard drive into the external enclosure ? please help i have alot of stuff on that drive i dont want to lose or does anybody have another solutions

thnx

Relevancy 80.84%

I recently posted that my external hard drive was not working as windows wanted to format it. I pulled it up and now it lights up but windows says it cant start in device manager so i put another hard drive form my old PC in it but it the same scenario.

Is there any last options on this please i really need some help.

I also tried to put it in my external dvd enclosure but it wont work please help me... Thanks .

A:Any last options for broken external hard drive?

As you have tried another hard drive in the external enclosure and it still would not work this suggests that the circuitry in the enclosure is faulty. All I can suggest is that you take the hard drive out of its case and hook it up to a desktop PC using the internal connections and set the jumper to slave if it is IDE. That might give you access to it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/any-last-options-for-broken-external-hard-drive.161838/
Relevancy 80.41%

I have an external device that allows you to read IDE hard drives via a USB port I have five different hard drives that I ve tried to read with this device Each time the computer running Windows XP recognizes the USB device by plug and play says quot new device found hard disk quot and then shows in management, explorer not drive hard device in says quot your device is ready to use quot And each time the hard drive DOES show up in device management under disk drives and says quot the device is working properly quot Try updating the driver says the driver is up to date hard drive shows in device management, not in explorer BUT it does NOT show up in windows explorer nor in disk management I ve tried each hard drive on two different computers and get the same problem each time I ve tried restarting the computer no luck I ve done searches on the internet for this problem and apparently it s a known issue but nobody knows what to do Any ideas nbsp

A:hard drive shows in device management, not in explorer

From the way you described it to me it sounds like it's probably going to be an issue with the device you are using to read the IDE drives. What is the brand and model number of it? I'm thinking that the device is either faulty, or like you suspected the drivers for it are poop.

Do a google search on the device brand name and model number to see if you can come up with new drivers for it.

When / where did you purchase the device?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-shows-in-device-management-not-in-explorer.753662/
Relevancy 79.98%

I ve connected an external USB drive but when I go to My Computer it shows it as a network drive In addition it gives it the same name as the mapped network drive that already exists there When I change the name of the external drive there it then changes the name of the mapped network drive so again they both have the same name although the drive letters are different Any ideas how to make the external drive appear where it belongs in My Computer under Hard Disk drives I m also seeing some other odd behavior on this computer and since External as up drive hard drive network shows a it may be related I ll mention it When I first opened my Computer it showed the same networked drive repeatedly with every letter from F thru Z I deleted them all except one but now every time I reboot I get a logon connect dialog that asks to reconnect one of them So with each reboot it is adding back one of the duplicate mapped networked drives that I had deleted I expect it will eventually end up with all the alphabet letters like it was when I first sat down at this computer My main concern is to get the external hard drive to appear where it belongs Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 79.98%

I m running WinXP sp I ve had my external hd for quite some time not sure what changed but turned it on for but freezes External up Hard drive when accessed in PM shows the first time in awhile and it would quot ding quot like plug and play recognized it but nothing happened I go to Windows Explorer and it freezes I have to turn off the switch to the External Harddrive it s an Ultra to get anything to load Then I try to External Hard drive shows up in PM but freezes when accessed turn it back on and I look at Device Manager I can see it in there but when I right-click on it to see what s going on it freezes Any program that would access the HD freezes when it External Hard drive shows up in PM but freezes when accessed s turned on I External Hard drive shows up in PM but freezes when accessed ve been browsing the net for hours for a fix Here s what I ve tried nothing has worked Changing the jumper settings using tweakui to change drive letters changing usb cables power down and try all over any ideas BTW- my harddrive is not clicking or doing anything out of the ordinary it won t mount in Safe mode either nbsp

A:External Hard drive shows up in PM but freezes when accessed

TweakUI to change drive letters? No wonder you are having trouble. What version of TweakUI?

Drive letter changes need to be made in Disk Management. I don't recall any TweakUI's tha changed drive letters since Win 98 and that program is for a whole different family of operating systems.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-shows-up-in-pm-but-freezes-when-accessed.785498/
Relevancy 79.98%

please help... thanks in advance

its been 3days and its still scanning

A:Broken external hard drive. hitachi 500gb

?????

What are you trying to do?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/303111-broken-external-hard-drive-hitachi-500gb.html
Relevancy 79.98%

OMG! My Maxtor external hard drive was accidentally bounced off the hardwood floor. It is a back-up to my 7 year old PC suffering from the whirr of death. I started to copy files from the ED to my laptop but was not even close to finishing the process when it fell. Years of music, photos etc are all on the drive. It gets even better -- the PC is dead.

The data port has broken off/pushed in and and is rattling around inside of the the casing. Power to the Maxtor appears to be working fine. What should I do now?

Relevancy 79.55%

First I want to say that the drive works without problems at the correct speed The problems come upon disconnect I also want to to stress that USB discs are working flawlessly If I use safe eject and the look in the device manager I get an error saying that it has been shut down but not disconnected it also says I can rectify it by disconnecting and reconnecting but this does not work If I do USB causing 3.0 manager. in trouble drive External device so the drive will not be recognized The enclosure has a power switch After a safe eject I have tried both pulling the USB cable while power is still on and also going the other way by first shutting the power down In both cases the error shows External USB 3.0 drive causing trouble in device manager. in device manager When this happens the CPU load goes up to about and stays that way when it before was around at idle If External USB 3.0 drive causing trouble in device manager. I reboot the drive reconnects and I have no problem with it unless I try to safely eject it again Sometimes I get a BSOD when shutting down the computer I want to stress that it so far only happens during shutdown I downloaded a small program that could read the crashdump and it blames the Etron host controller Does anybody have any experience with this

A:External USB 3.0 drive causing trouble in device manager.

I had a similar problem awhile back what I did to resolve it was went to my laptops manufacture website and downloaded
the latest driver for the usb that solved the problem .

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/272401-external-usb-3-0-drive-causing-trouble-device-manager.html
Relevancy 79.55%

After 3 years for performing great my other Dell will now not boot as the "set-up" shows, "unknown device" for my hard drive. How do I try to fix that? Disconect ribbon cables and re-install them? I'm sorta at a loss. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Relevancy 79.12%

Hi, I have a 500gb seagate external hard drive, and already used 240gb space.
It worked fine until yesterday suddenly i could not access the files at all. I checked disk management, and it showed that my external drive became RAW drive.

I tried to do chkdsk that i learned from one of the forum, and then it somehow has fixed the RAW drive back to FAT32. However i still cannot see any of my files.

I opened command prompt, and typed in dir /a
and it said 0 files 0 byets, 4 DIR 288,714, 293, 248 bytes free

How can i bring my files back?? I don't want to lose my files
can someone help me please..urgent

Sorry i am no tech expert, so please help me using an easy explanation =)

A:HELP! External hard drive shows used space but empty folders!

Sounds like the FAT table has got screwed up meaning the OS will not be able to display your files - don't worry, this is quite common and you should be able to recover them on the assumption the drive is not physically damaged (i.e. clunking when seeking).

There are plenty of recovery programs, some free, that work well.

I'll check these out and post back.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/220703-help-external-hard-drive-shows-used-space-but-empty-folders.html
Relevancy 79.12%

I have external USB hard drive 'Seagate 500 Gb'
When I transfer data (say Video file) from my Laptop to External Hard drive, it starts coping but it stucks and cannot finish coping.

Check out the attachment for the detail of the error while coping.

Thanx.

A:Copying data to External hard drive shows error

Hi and welcome,

The I/O device error implies a problem with the USB device.

Run a chkdsk /R on the USB device, and then also run this program to check the health status of the drive:

CrystalDiskInfo - Software - Crystal Dew World

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/245826-copying-data-external-hard-drive-shows-error.html
Relevancy 79.12%

My Buffalo external drive shows empty on window 7 pro, no previous signs of malfunction just a little slow before this incident.
when i trying to right click and check properties, after a while windows shows a message saying " data error (Cyclic redundancy check)"
It contains all my family photos for the last years, please if anyone can help me with this issue I will appreciate
thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/381718-help-buffalo-external-hard-drive-shows-empty-windows-7-pro.html
Relevancy 79.12%

I ve had my HP Simple Save TB External Hard Drive for a few of years now it s served me great I used it for storing all my photos but the usb connector has snapped off from the small CD drive inside the casing This has simply been through use it was working fine not wobbly or mistreated in any way it must have just came to the end of it s life and now I can t hook it up to my computer to get the photos I m desperate to get them back wedding photos birthdays etc most of you must know how I m feeling So I looked up Simple 2.0) TB Save (3.5-inch, 2 External HELP! Drive Hard Broken USB HP a few solutions one was to buy a USB-to-IDE SATA adapter and use that to connect to the computer well it works as far as recognising that a device is connected but won t load the files or folders to view As I ve looked around apparently the small CD drive that s inside the HP Simple Save 2 TB External Hard Drive (3.5-inch, USB 2.0) Broken HELP! case has software that my computer automatically loads Now this is where I m lost how do I manage to get this to work I m almost at my wits end as far as looking every single day on Amazon and eBay to buy a new one to transfer the CD drive onto the broken one to load it up and get my photos back IF that would even work I m not sure So if you have any suggestions help please please get in touch thanks nbsp

A:HP Simple Save 2 TB External Hard Drive (3.5-inch, USB 2.0) Broken HELP!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-simple-save-2-tb-external-hard-drive-3-5-inch-usb-2-0-broken-help.1127335/
Relevancy 79.12%

Hey guys Sorry this is a long story I originally bought a Hitachi External Hard Drive Duo Pro Drive TB for my office Had it for about months Now it pooped out and will not power on Tried many trial and errors Still no avail and Ultimately I discovered the bridge or onboard circuit board has residue and i think its fried I ended up disassembling the External Unit which consisted of two SATA TB HD s When i first bought the external HD I formatted it as NTFS Now when i insert of the hard drives windows says it is a RAW and must be formatted in order to use The nd HD has the same story I don t get it and i am completely lost I have lots of work that is Help!! Expert - External Hard Storage need Data Drive Broken really important and need them recovered I believe it was hard drives that acted as one dynamic drive I am not sure on the specifics on how into works Is it possible to take the two HDD s and insert them into a new external enclosure And access the files I don t know anything about raid etc When i checked both of the hard drives it was quot Healthy quot and in working order according to Windows I had the option to format it Broken External Hard Drive - need Expert Data Storage Help!! and start a new partition Which is what i want to avoid I have never done anything like this before and need data storage Expert help Thank you very much noobie nbsp

Relevancy 78.69%

Gday I have Hard & Paragon Hard External Disk Suite Manager Drive USB emailed Paragon and am awaiting there reply but you guys seem to know a lot more and try and solve the problem Up to this point I have used either Acronis or Paragon for my backups I prefer Paragon over Acronis mainly because the restore by Paragon is far quicker I have both bootable CD's but in this instance I would like to concentrate on Paragon I downloaded Paragon's Advanced Recovery CD Build Put it in my rom and booted looked at a black screen for minutes Removed it and rebooted it got stuck at the loading of Vista then I got another black screen no hard drive movement Rebooted again this time with the regular Paragon bootable CD It booted into the recovery console Now this is where things go from bad to worse I tried finding my OS after a lengthy period I received an error disk i o fault no operating system found Now disk is my external hard drive where my backups are kept So I rebooted with the CD in went into the recovery console and clicked on quot safe restore quot after playing the waiting game I get a message disk i o fault Took out the Paragon CD put in the Vista one tried a repair but there was no OS to repair So I installed Vista and because I didn't want to have to reinstall all of my programs again yer lazy I know but that's what backup's are for Checked with the fresh install that my two external hard drives had there drivers and were present They were both accounted for in Vista So put back in the Paragon bootable CD got to the recovery console tried a quot normal restore quot and once again got disk i o fault So I tried a quot safe restore quot same error message Back tracked to see if my OS was still there and IT HAD GONE So again I installed Vista checked with the fresh install that my two external hard drives had there drivers and were present They were both accounted for in Vista Put back in the Paragon bootable CD got to the recovery console tried a quot safe restore quot and once again got disk i o fault Back tracked to see if my OS was still there and IT HAD GONE AGAIN So yet again I installed Vista this time I tried copying over the latest backup to a partition that the Paragon recovery console could read Tried again and yup you guessed it lost the OS again this time the error message was disk i o fault Once again I installed Vista this time however I installed the Paragon software initially it wouldn't find my backups but I was like a dog with a bone and eventually got Paragon Paragon Hard Disk Manager Suite & USB External Hard Drive to locate them This time I tried a restore from the Windows environment crossed my fingers my eyes and my legs eventually Paragon said it needed to reboot to continue the operation I rebooted and the recovery looked promising but I could not sit there and watch it waiting for it to fail so I went and watched the TV for a couple of hours I came back to my PC and OMG shock horror EVERYTHING WAS BACK Now for the question I have used the recovery console before and it found my USB external hard drives why this time could it not Footnote I also tried my Acronis bootable CD it loaded then the screen went black I have since done a backup to my external just to make sure it was still viable it worked without a hitch I also did a backup on a partition that is on a different hard drive to my OS just in case I run into this problem again Whether or not it will be read is a whole different story

Relevancy 78.69%

I have an external 1TB HDD that I bought several months ago. Now, all of a sudden, my computer is no longer reading it as a drive. In device manager, it still reads it as a USB mass storage device, but it will not show up in "My Computer" or the command prompt under either Windows XP or Windows 7.

I tried running TestDisk, but my HDD in question does not appear on the menu.

Any thoughts? Or am I basically screwed?

Relevancy 78.26%

Have a 1TB Iomega USB3 external hard drive that worked well on both a desktop and laptop Win7/64 system. Now it shows up as unidentified and not initialized using computer/manage/storage/disk management. Disk Management also gives the optiin to initialize it but I declined because I would like to recover the data. The power light comes on and it spins up with both a USB3 or USB2 connections and is identified as an Iomega eGo drive when I use the USB eject function.
Hard Drive Sentinel does not recognize it at all. Any suggestions appreciated.

A:Previously functional USB3 external hard drive shows not initialized

1. Please post a screenshot of Disk Management with your external HDD plugged in. Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

2. It would indeed be prudent to recover the data before you try anything else on the HDD.

You may try to access the hard drive booting into a live Linux CD/pendrive.

Download Lucid Puppy (Ubuntu-Compatible Build) v5.2.8 ISO from http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

It is light and only 132.6 MB.

Make a Bootable pendrive with Rufus v1.3.2 (442 KB) http://rufus.akeo.ie/

It takes less than 2 minutes to create your bootable live Linux pendrive.

For more guidance on the recovery process directly get into the heading Recovering files from the non-bootable Internal Drive - applicable to recovery from any hard drive - in Lucid Puppy way to recover files from a non-bootable computer

You may also use this tutorial by Golden http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/256518-peppermint3-create-live-cd-dvd-usb-use-emergency-backup.html to create your bootable pendrive with Peppermint3 Linux.

Lucid Puppy or Peppermint3, in either case you can use Rufus to create your bootable pendrive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/284060-previously-functional-usb3-external-hard-drive-shows-not-initialized.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Ok; so I've done some digging into this and have tried practically everything. Under Device Management it's shown as Disk 3 "unknown/not initialized". Used to give option to Initialize disk and no longer does. Ran MiniTool Partition and it wasn't detected by the program. Drivers are up-to-date and device is "working properly" yet clearly there is an issue. I have almost 1TB of data on this drive, most of which is I do need so format/initialize isn't an option. I'm running into a wall now trying to think of things. Any help would be appreciated.

A:WD Passport External not seen by computer/detected by device manager

Hello pastmylife357. Welcome to the forum.

There could be an issue with the USB connection - connector. You could try gently jiggling it to see if you get a response, particularly the part of the case that fits onto the actual hard drive. Plus, try it in different USB ports.

I would try it on another PC, just to check to see if it is the drive or the PC that is the problem.

Let's start with that, see if it shakes anything loose.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/369107-wd-passport-external-not-seen-computer-detected-device-manager.html
Relevancy 77.83%

When I plug in the USB cord for my external harddrive, I am prompted that the drivers have been installed, the device manager shows the drive in my list, but no new drive shows up in My Computer. Ideas????

Relevancy 77.4%

Alright I have a whole bunch of my music and videos on my external hard drive and I got a new Dell XPS yesterday I had been using my external hard drive just fine for the past - yeas now with different laptops working fine I plugged it yesterday to transfer all my music to my new computer and it seemed to be working fine There was an error as the copy rate External Local -- won't open Disk as only working, shows drive hard stopped up slowwed so I decided to delete and try again I did that about times and then decided to just copy the music album by album Eventually I don External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open t know how it ended up happening instead of the Hard Drive coming up as Seagate on the My Computer Tab it started showing up as Local Disk J on my Dell and Local Disk E on my laptop now It doesn t matter where I plug it in Not only that it won t open when I try to open it It will get loaded and then just pause and stop responding I m completely lost My hard drive is Seagate GB nbsp

A:External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open

Hi, first I would run the Seagate diagnostics to check the hard drive is still healthy following this guide.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturers diagnostic for ISO CD. Burn the image file to a CD, boot the PC with the disc in the drive and run the diagnostics. You first need to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios setup.

If you do not have an image burner use this free software to make the CD.

http://www.isoimageburner.com/

ExcelStor: http://www.excelstor.com/eng/support.php?sub_id=3

Hitachi/IBM: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html

Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum:http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads

Western Digital:http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toshiba Fujitsu: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

If you have a Toshiba hard drive I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.Click to expand...

It sounds likely that the circuitry in the drive enclosure is failing (or the drive), if the test won't run then remove the drive from the enclosure and purchase a USB Hard Drive adapter, or use the internal connections in a desktop PC to connect the drive. This should allow you to run the test and/or extract all the files.

If the test runs ok with the drive connected to another PC internally, or with a USB adapter then you will know for sure that it is the enclosure that has failed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-stopped-working-only-shows-up-as-local-disk-wont-open.169973/
Relevancy 77.4%

OK the system is a Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista Home It has a gb hard drive and all of the system specs are as set up from Toshiba It s about years old Previously I had partitioned off a nd drive from the main hard device manager in not Hard drive drive to function as a storage device so Hard drive not in device manager the one gb hdd is separated into a gb main partition and a gb storage partition The PC is my Fiancee s and she recently complained about her computer not working right and said she thought she had a virus Every scan I ran came back negative but the PC was definitely exhibiting strange behavior several unassociated programs randomly not working properly anymore the laptop running half as fast as it used to taking forever to boot losing file associations all sorts of weird stuff So I backed up the data and went to clear out the storage drive join it to the primary and just upgrade to Windows Here s when it gets weird in My Computer I still have full usable access to the C drive and the nd storage partition Everything shows up and reacts just the way it should The drives are recognized in the BIOS as well obviously since the system boots and all that But when I go to Device Manager I don t see a listing for Hard Drives at all There are no unrecognized or unknown devices and no devices with any errors and a Add New Hardware search results in no changes Worse yet when I go to properties on a right-click of either HDD partition and go to Devices the only devices that are even listed are my physical DVD drive and the two mounted virtual drives No HDD shows up in Devices under the properties FOR my HDD Even worse when I go Disk Management the only devices that show up are the DVD drive and the two virtual drives I have mounted through the DVD burning software The hard drive itself isn t even listed as a disk let alone the partitions inside it To be clear the only thing I see are the three DVD drives in the lower available devices list and the only device listed in the upper active devices list is the physical DVD drive with the Windows upgrade disk now in it Additionally when I run setup for Windows it doesn t see either partition and says there are no available storage drives to install to Trying to load the device drivers through the W install program just results in no devices drivers found and it wants me to install the device manually because it doesn t see one I ve never seen anything like this Any ideas nbsp

A:Hard drive not in device manager

hiya,try removing the HDD then replace and try,it could also be a rootkit virus on your machine.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-not-in-device-manager.988277/
Relevancy 76.54%

Here's the situation:
Hard Drive: Western Digital
Is this a mounting problem?? If so.. how do I mount the drive?
Original problem is that the pc wont start on boot. I pulled out the drive and put it into an external enclosure and connected it to my other pc vis USB.
The drive powered up; began spinning; no strange noises etc.
The pc recognizes the connection of a USB device but it does not show on the computer other than the device manager. According to the device manager, the device is working properly and make and model is correct.
Yes, this is where you tell me to reformat but I need the data! Part of my thesis that didnt make it to the backup drive!!!!! I would appreciate any suggestions you have!
Thanks!

A:Hard drive not visible except only in device manager: Help!

How was this "bad" drive formatted? NTFS or FAT32?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-not-visible-except-only-in-device-manager-help.88030/
Relevancy 76.54%

I recently plugged in a Showing WHERE ELSE in NO Drive up Hard Manager Device Hard drive on an open port on one of my IDE cables to check it for a friend It named the hard drive quot G quot I already had a hard drive named quot G quot so it messed up all my HDD drive names but I dont think thats the problem When i uninstalled my friends drive and went back to my original config one of my HDD s was missing in quot My Computer Hard Drive Showing up in Device Manager NO WHERE ELSE quot and in quot Hard Drive Showing up in Device Manager NO WHERE ELSE Disk Management quot However the drive DOES show up in the device manager - it shows up as a SCSI DEVICE all other drives show up as they should IE Maxtor G J SCSI Disk Device etc How do i get this drive to show back up in Windows I have tried everything quot Update driver quot quot Disable - Enable quot quot Uninstall - Reinstall quot Is their anything i can do I am running XP SP w ATA IDE Promise card ASUS P PE board GHz P GB DDR nbsp

Relevancy 76.54%

Hard drive has 5 parts to it in device manager could someone have a look at this picture as i only had one device when i clicked on small triangle in device manager for my old hard drive. In this new one i have 5.
thank you in advance

A:Hard drive has 5 parts to it in device manager

Unless I am wrong that is only showing that your mobo has 4 sata I guess sataII ports. If using only 1 drive that is chann 0.

You notice the numbers skip a few. That should mean other chips and or drivers run other ports on your mobo say for ide or sata 1.5 or sataIII ports? I would guess looking at it channels 2 and 3 are ran by another chip or controller and are a different speed or interface?

Normally different interfaces use different color sata connection ports on the mobo. They can be black blue gray and white maybe other colors but is so you can tell them apart and should be listed as so in your mobo manual.

The other ports may or not show until drivers are installed or a drive is plugged into the said other ports. Windows and or the mobo bios will default to the main sata ports which in number count should be more than other ports. If a sataII mobo you might have 4 or 6 or 8 normal drive ports and maybe 2 to 4 what ever other ports for say sataIII etc.

If you have the yellow triangle that means you need to install drivers- or w7 might install them for ya..

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/161902-hard-drive-has-5-parts-device-manager.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Ive got two optical drives, a CDROM and DVDROM, they are both on the same IDE channel.

I was having problems with the DVD ROM showing up under "My Computer" so I had a look around and checked everything was set up correctly, DVDROM is on the Master and the CDROM is on the Slave, the little connectors are on the correct things and everything is physically setup correct.

I was looking through device manager and noticed that the DVD ROM isnt showing up under "DVD/CD-ROM Drives" but I did have something else, under "Disk Drives" there is a third device with my two existing hard drives, this is labeled "SCSI Disk Device".

Looks like my DVDROM is showing up as a hard disk :/ Ive got no idea how to fix this. Hoped that some of you might

Relevancy 76.54%

HI everyone Ive been using my WD Elements TB for quite a while now but I recently had trouble with it It doesn't show any of the maps I created on it However if I type the name of the map in the address bars it does reach the map I use it to store all my programs games and movies so its quite important Example E It will show that this folder drive is empty E Movies It will show all the movies Its the same with my other folders on that drive I had the same problem with a smaller drive but there wasn't much on that so I just formatted it and it works fine again I can't afford to have all this data wiped so it will take a lot of time backing everything up which I shows while Computer external empty drive not. its also don't have to room for I hope anyone knows a solution for this except formatting the drive Thanks in advance

A:Computer shows external drive empty while its not.

Quote: Originally Posted by Optec

HI everyone,

Ive been using my WD Elements 1.5TB for quite a while now but I recently had trouble with it.
It doesn't show any of the maps I created on it. However if I type the name of the map in the address bars it does reach the map. I use it to store all my programs, games and movies so its quite important.

Example:
E:\ = It will show that this folder (drive) is empty
E:\Movies = It will show all the movies.

Its the same with my other folders on that drive.

I had the same problem with a smaller drive but there wasn't much on that so I just formatted it and it works fine again.
I can't afford to have all this data wiped so it will take a lot of time backing everything up. (which I also don't have to room for)

I hope anyone knows a solution for this except formatting the drive,

Thanks in advance

It sounds like your permissions have been changed. Do the following steps.Click Start Menu
Click My Computer/Computer
Right Click the drive in question
Click Properties
Go to the Security tab

What is listed under Group or user names: ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/208560-computer-shows-external-drive-empty-while-its-not.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Hello,
My integrated speakers and audio port do not seem to be working. It happened after I was playing around with bluetooth trying to get that to work. Now only bluetooth is able to connect. 
So far I have tried:
System restore
Deleting and redownloading audio drivers
Adding legacy hardware for Realtek
ePSA test was able to hear the tones
The audio logo has a red X through it and only the bluetooth headphones drivers appear in device manager. Any ideas what might be the issue and how to solve them? 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19991757
Relevancy 75.68%

Hi.

I was normally using my computer, when I suddenly noticed one of my hard drives disappeared from My Computer. Checked the Device Manager, I get the following. Trying to initialize it throws up this error:
Seems to spin just fine. Trying different USB ports failed, switching cables as well.

Already tried a few programs. GetDataBack for NTFS throws up error 1117. R-Studio also fails, as does DMDE and MTY. My friend even borrowed me Microsoft DaRT (part of MDOP), but when I boot into it, it doesn't recognize the HDD at all, no matter how hard I try. Only my W7 installation does.

Anything I can do in this situation? I had a lot of important data on it, and it's not completely dead yet. Maybe I can still save it somehow, without haivng to pay one of those data recovery thieves...

A:1TB WD USB hard drive failure - is in Device Manager, not initialized

have you tried wd data lifeguard tools?

since I don't know which drive you have I can't post a direct link to it for your drive but here is a link to all of them.
WD Support / Downloads / Select Product

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/190399-1tb-wd-usb-hard-drive-failure-device-manager-not-initialized.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Here s the situation I have hard disks On the first disk Hard gone but manager drive bios/device letter ok in I have all of my programs and the operating system On the second disk I have all of my data I did this intentionally so that I could format the first disk and preserve all of my data Hard drive letter gone but ok in bios/device manager on the second This configuration has Hard drive letter gone but ok in bios/device manager worked fine for approximately one year Yesterday I formatted the first drive and reinstalled WinXP Now I am unable to see the second hard drive in Windows Explorer The system bios recognizes the second drive Likewise when I look in device manager I am able to see the second drive There are no problems there and it is reported as working correctly I can also see the second hard drive in the Disk Management utility from XP The second drive is reported as Healthy Unknown Partition However - this disk is not available to me from Windows Explorer There s no drive letter I have tried to manually assign a drive letter but it s quot grayed out quot and is not selectable as an option The command line utility diskpart shows my drive as hidden but I am unable to unhide it Is there any way for me to get this drive back other than starting over and therefore losing my data Any ideas help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Rodney nbsp

Relevancy 75.68%

Hi I tryed to make a system back up but it keeps failing with error code x windows cant find a disk/device in hidden Hard drive manager backup device went into disk manager and found that my external hard drive that I had plugged in to make the Hard drive hidden in disk/device manager backup on was present and working fine the strange thing was that i couldnt see my internal hard drive I did the command promt quot devmgr show nonpresent devices quot this enabled me to see the disk in device maneger but windows was telling me that the disk was not connected to the system system restore wont work and like a fool i deleated my previous backup image to make room for the new one I also tryed startup repair and this failed to find any errors I should point out though that windows explorer shows my internal hard drive which is the drive my OS is running from but disk manager refuses to show Hard drive hidden in disk/device manager it and i dont get a quot show hidden devices quot in the view tab either I also have XP installed on a different partition to run some old stuff i like to use and the disk manager in xp is also hiding my hard drive any ideas

A:Hard drive hidden in disk/device manager

So which OS do you have Vista or 7? You cannot have both so you should not be in 2 forums.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/121554-hard-drive-hidden-disk-device-manager.html
Relevancy 75.68%

I have sata hard drive and ide drive in my machine The gb sata is c drive but missing Device Hard active Drive is CP from Manager in and the gb ide is Hard Drive missing from CP but is active in Device Manager d drive where is store all my progs films etc Usually when i re-install xp i have to disconnect d drive otherwise windows labels it c drive and we get into all kinds of mess So thats what i did when i tried to install windows rc Disconnected D drive and installed Win on the sata drive which was connected Come to reconnect the drive and win crashed saying some hal dll file was missing disconnected the drive and win works again So i thought ok i will try and install win with the drive plugged in and connected Installation goes fine and win goes on the sata drive as Hard Drive missing from CP but is active in Device Manager it should Hard Drive missing from CP but is active in Device Manager but now i dont have a d drive When i look in device manager it is showing up as online and working but nothing is showing up on my computer I plug my usb removable hdd in and it picks that up as e drive seeing the dvd has taken d drive But for the life of my i cannot figure out how to get this drive showing in my computer Many thanx for your help in advance

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/228867/hard-drive-missing-from-cp-but-is-active-in-device-manager/
Relevancy 75.68%

Hi! I have a little annoying problem. A previously connected external drive shows up in my windows explorer even though it's not connected. It also takes up a drive letter. I can't eject it, when I try it says: "An error occurred while ejecting (G).

I would like to remove this non existent external drive and free up the drive letter G:. Any ideas?

A:A external drive that is not connected to the computer shows in explor

Do a complete proper Shut Down and Start Up and see if it works for you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/281877-external-drive-not-connected-computer-shows-explor.html
Relevancy 75.68%

I have found the solution, it is standardly unmounted (but i made it mount with ''partition found and mount, but now im dependable on that program for the hard drive to be mounted, so how do i make it like a normal hard drive?? and how do i format it so that its like a normal hard drive)now so the pc sees only that black space, but how do i make it so that its standardly mounted again?

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/48486-disk-manager-changed-my-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 75.25%

can anyone please help me? I divided 1TB WB Element to 4 part but they're not showing up on 'my computer' but i can safely remove the hardware, still the partition doesn't show up as usual just 'eject elements 1042'. can it get repair without losing the files?

please help me. much appreciated

A:i/o device error external hard drive please help me anyone

I dont want to cause panic.. but.. I/o errors are normally always related to knackered hardware.. I.e your hard drive.

theres a few things you can try first.

The standard Microsoft protocol is to first check that windows is fully up to date incase youre missing a key upated system file.
Next you could try uninstalling your usb drivers in device manager and reboot. (youll loose control of any usb device plugged in before the reboot).
It might not seem the most logical thing to try but it was suggested to me once and it did the trick for my issue.

Failing that Microsoft q and a also suggests shrinking the partitions if possible using disc manager.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/318658-i-o-device-error-external-hard-drive-please-help-me-anyone.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hello so this is the issue I have win vista x sp Toshiba satellite and a Seagate freeagent goflex tb external HD I had been using the external drive I/O hard external with error device for a while noticed some information wasnt really working properly I thought I would do a chkdsk However I used Tuneup utilities to perform the thorough chkdsk of my external HD i figured it would find and fix any bad clusters WRONG after hrs of waiting I restarted the PC I/O device error with external hard drive and now i cant access any information The external shows up in quot computer quot I can open certain folders but after a few mins I cant access anything and i get the I O device error ive tried running chkdsk r just from the PC in a CMD window It shows a list of - files I/O device error with external hard drive that are quot unreadable quot and sticks on a certain file at around complete every time Ive tried all of seagates suggestions and other then that everyone else just says to run chkdsk on other forums I really do not want to loose this information at all costs any information would be fantastic thanks for your help in advance nbsp

A:I/O device error with external hard drive

The Freeagent's power supply has probably failed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-o-device-error-with-external-hard-drive.171517/
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if there is such a device that allows you to connect a laptop hard drive up to a desktop or another laptop to retrieve data? The laptop hard drive in question is partitioned into C: and D: and the client has data on D: drive that he would like to save if possible (laptop won't boot up to recover the data). I have tried reimaging the laptop twice (C: drive only) but it's failed both times. Reimaging is not an option now so I'd like to try and recover the data another way. No matter how many times I tell these people to back up their data to the server, it never seems to sink in...

Hoping someone can help?

Relevancy 75.25%

Hello

Just a quick post about my fix to this issue. After getting my PC rebuilt by a colleague I got this issue. I noticed that he had mapped storage volumes to G & H which are usually used when I plugin USB devices. So my fix was:

1) deactivate these storage volumes
2) shut down (overnight as it happens).

I did also have a quick poke at the hard drives but didn't change the configuration.

I appreciate this error is generic but thought I'd post as it may help someone else with this VAGUE PIE-IN-THE-SKY ERROR MESSAGE.

Am Newbie so please be kind.

A:USB external hard drive comes up as unknown device

I'm not sure what you mean by Deactivate a storage volume?
All you needed to do was go to Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Disk Management window, Right click the drive and choose Change Drive Letter or Paths, choose a different drive letter that is not being usd.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/usb-external-hard-drive-comes-up-as-unknown-device-894962.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi, i have an external hard drive and it was running great. I then turned off my computer, took it out the usb so i could move the case. Put it back in the slot. turned on comp and got the following message..

"USB device not recognised.
One of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it."

I'm certain i didnt damage the hard drive and I've tried different usb sockets. all of them in fact. and they work with other things.

I am using windows vista ultimate.

Please help

A:USB device not recognised. External Hard Drive

Bump.... Please help i need those files back

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-device-not-recognised-external-hard-drive.88352/
Relevancy 75.25%

I have an external Western Digital 250G HD. It ran fine for a about 10 minutes, then I started getting an error message when trying to copy files onto the HD:

Cannot copy <filename>: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

I've set it to be optomized for performance and to enable write caching on the disk.

When I close the message and try to get back into the HD, none of the files that are on there show up.

How can I fix this?!

A:External Hard Drive I/O Device Error

It's a process of eliminating one source at a time.

The following assumes you have experienced no prior problems using your USB ports.

The first thing I would do is remove the drive from the enclosure and connect it directly to a desktop computer where I would run CHKDSK /R. If that is negative, I would download the drive manufacturer's testing utility and check it for fitness. (Some second-rate companies offer no such testing utility.)

If all of that is negative, you have either a bad enclosure or some problem with your USB port.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-i-o-device-error.826398/
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi there
I have connected my USB external hard drive to my machine and i get an error message that the device is malfunctioning. I have installed SP2. And run Virus programs but to no avail! The Hard drive does work on other Machines so its deffinately not the hard drive. The External drive has also been set to slave. Please help!

A:USB external hard drive comes up as unknown device

Howdy markhimself.. Try setting the External to master.. When you open your device manager are there any yellow question marks besides the Hard drive?

Also right click ym computer..Click manage..Then disk management..Does the HD show in there/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/usb-external-hard-drive-comes-up-as-unknown-device-148861.html
Relevancy 75.25%

My WD Elements external hard drive was working great until one day it failed to be recognized in explorer. I've tried it on multiple PC's and it does the exact same thing. It shows up in device manager as properly working and also even shows up in devices and Printers and BIOS and Windows will allow me to eject it. I've tried using Recuva to recover my data but the disk still doesn't show up. I can't use CHKDSK because it doesn't have a drive letter. Is there anything I can do? and more importantly, is there any way I can recover my important data from this drive?

A:External hard drive not recognized on anything other than device mgr

Have you gone into the Disk Management tool to see if simply right clicking on the volume to change drive letter would initialze the drive again? The drive may be being seen as offline in the block on the left side of the item there you right click on to select the online option.

That would be a fast option included in Windows. Recuva wouldn't work without an active volume to begin with. When any Windows option won't work you then need an alternative option for data recovery such as a live Linux distro or other live from disk type. Note the 2009 thread for using a flash drive to make up a live data recovery disk. Using the "Other OS" For a USB Rescue Device?

The first thing however would be trying to see if you can get the drive initialized if it is showing up in the DM there. Often with removable drives and devices like flash drives or memory and memory cards SD cards on cell phones, digital cameras, etc. you need to keep a specific drive letter assigned to the drive or device to be instantly recognised each time you go to replug it in.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/253817-external-hard-drive-not-recognized-anything-other-than-device-mgr.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I have a LaCie external hard drive which works fine on other pc's running Windows found hard as unknown drive device External Ultimate but on this one it is an quot unknown device quot I have tried it in different ports but with the same result I've checked with Windows Compatability and the exact model is listed there as being compatible I've been to the manufacturer's website but there are no drivers available I have the same problem with any USB device I plug into any port I have tried a complete Windows re-install from a different CD but it made no difference The only USB devices that work are the keyboard and mouse I have given the LaCie HD as an example because External hard drive found as unknown device I am hoping that if I can get a specific External hard drive found as unknown device device to work I may be able to solve the problem with others I've done the upper and lower filter removal thing in Regedit and have uninstalled and reinstalled the USB drivers numerous times but nothing works I've also updated the BIOS Any ideas please

A:External hard drive found as unknown device

NOT a pro ! but i think after what u have done the only thing faulty would be your ports <<<<

I had the same problem with my pc and after a hell lot of time waste i came to know that my ports are out ......

Am not sure whats the case with yours ........

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/251705-external-hard-drive-found-unknown-device.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I have a Hitachi external usb Hard drive model H2160U This drive will recognize on xp. I have used it once on a vista machine and have files on the drive from said vista machine. However, now when i plug it in to either a vista machine or windows 7 machine it comes up as unknow device and not supported drivers. I dont have the drivers for the HDD any more. I have tried to find them online but can not. Is there anything that I can do to make this drive work?? I have tried to delete the USB unknown device in device manager and reconnect but still get the same error. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hitachi-external-hard-drive-unknown-device.976072/
Relevancy 74.39%

hi my friend asked me to have a look at a there external hard drive after she split coke on it, and it stop working, the power is still getting to it the hard drive is still spining but the driver appears to be missing.

there is no vissable water marks (no sign of damage within the casing) (also there is no arking, burn marks)

there is power to the board and driver (light on the front and the driver spinning)

mine and there laptop both recognise that there is something there (as a 'unknown device') but it doesn't recognise it as a storage device.

when it did work it installed drivers from the windows drivers. i manually tryed choosing these drivers without success. it came back error code 10.

so i am unsure what the problem to be except the driver is missing,

much abilaged if anyone can help

just to in form i am running on vista

A:Toshiba external hard drive unknown device

I think it likely that the usb interface in your external enclosure may be damaged.
The drive may still be undamaged, and transferring it to a new enclosure may be your best best.
Such enclosures are relatively cheap and easily available.
I would not suggest continuing to use the existing enclosure.
Depending on the damage done to the usb interface, that damaged device could cause damage to the usb port of your computer.
Hope this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-external-hard-drive-unknown-device.163946/
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi sorry if this has been posted before but I searched so many threads and none of etc) not (my hard com, showing man, anywhere drive man, USB/External disk device them seem to apply to my exact situation they all have the usb showing somewhere My usb external hard drive isn t showing up anywhere Not in my computer disk management device manager or by doing cmb gt DISKPART gt LIST DISK The USB/External hard drive not showing anywhere (my com, device man, disk man, etc) laptop does make a sound when i plug in the drive however but the autoplay doesnt come up nor can I find it anywhere I ve also tried switching everything off tried different ports checked youtube videos followed lots of different instructions from so many threads but nothing is seeming to work The problem began when I ran a system restore this morning I then noticed the usb problem and cancelled the restore to set it back to before the restore was done but this didn t work The problem is also the same with the dvd drive On device manager both the dvd drive link and a usb link both have yellow exclamation marks next to them Please can someone help me I would be so unbelievably appreciative and grateful I have been searching for hours trying loads of different things but I just can t figure this out Thanks so much nbsp

A:USB/External hard drive not showing anywhere (my com, device man, disk man, etc)

Please do not start more than one thread for the same issue.

Closing duplicate.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-external-hard-drive-not-showing-anywhere-my-com-device-man-disk-man-etc.1149955/
Relevancy 74.39%

In device manager I have this Unknown Device showing up "ACPI\AWY0001\2&DABA3FF&0" and I have no idea what it is.

Any suggestions in helping to solve this one would be a great help. Google brings up Intel VIIV for Media Centre but doesn't help me very much.

A:Unknown Device shows in Device Manager

its a asus driver for windows xp refer to http://www.voodish.co.uk/articles/asus-dri...y00012daba3ff0/if your having problems then refer to http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/818672srry if this isnt helpdul its a 2 sec job using yahoo search

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/266943/unknown-device-shows-in-device-manager/
Relevancy 73.96%

USB Hard Drive when I connect the drive I get a constant bell sound and watching Device Manager shows a yellow ! with "USB Device" constantly appearing / disappearing... it will do this forever. All Flash drives work fine (I have several).

No issues until after I installed SP3.
The drive works fine on my laptop with SP3 but it is my backup drive for my desktop!
After SP3 install updated all the drivers for the PC and it made no difference, same problem.
Formatted the drive using my laptop and tried it, same problem.

Anyone?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1a84c93e-d276-4a99-8373-5025c7a02cb9/usb-hard-drive-will-not-connect-device-manager-constant-appearing-disappearing?forum=itproxpsp
Relevancy 73.96%

Well i m getting riiiigggghhhhh at the end of my tether here I m running a Toshiba Laptop ghz mb of ram BIOS Toshiba version updated Windows XP professional SP Right so i purchased a Western Digital gb hard drive and mounted it onto an external case with USB This external case has a volt adapter with am max W The hard drive is set on Master note i have anoter USB gb seagate drive that works like a charm connected to same computer Here is the problem i connect up the gb HD to one of my ports THe computer happily runs that new USB mass storage device says hello Then everything goes to hell I opened up explorer expecting my lovely new HD 200gb management. manager, in not visible drive Device disk hard to appear Uh oh this is goign to be one of those long 200gb hard drive visible in Device manager, not disk management. days week really I opened up disk management expecting to find it there and only needing a new drive letter assigned but nope the new HD is not there just the two i already have internal and external gb Its as if my computer refuses to acknowledge it Next i go to device manager and lo and behold there is a new entry under disk drives that says quot 200gb hard drive visible in Device manager, not disk management. Disk Drive quot So here i m thinking what the heck is going on I contact Western Digital demanding nicely for an explanation We go through all the usual basics and crap ie viruses spyware and drivers All drivers are up to spec USB Xp SP and as far as i know there are no specific drivers for Western Digital hard disks only their diagnostic tools which can 200gb hard drive visible in Device manager, not disk management. t even seem to find the connected gb model Windows diagnostic seemed to find it i ran a quick test and it says Error cable error So i dutifully swapped out the cruddy cable with the cable from my other hard drive Now it disappears The reeeaalllyyy frustrating thing is that it works on a computer with freaky deaky windows on it Sooooo windows XP is too good for it or what Its a recent model gb WDC JB for crying out loud So here are the things that are reeealllyy p me off the fact it works on other computers the fact that its spinning round and round as if its was mocking me the fact that my computer can t decide whether to accept it or not So in a few days my computer is not going to be looking good as i constantly pound it into the ground So any suggestions guys nbsp

A:200gb hard drive visible in Device manager, not disk management.

take it easy, there's nothing wrong with your computer. the hard drive case needs it's own drivers or you'll have to return it and get a different (and possibly better) one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/200gb-hard-drive-visible-in-device-manager-not-disk-management.26812/
Relevancy 73.96%

I purchased a used laptop with xp pro installed. No resource CD's. Wish to make a back up using XP backup wizard and store on my external hard drive. File transfer stopped and i received an error message stating that 4g was max allowed to Fat32. My external hard drive is 40g and approx 3-4 years old.
What are my lowest cost options to create backups?
Can I upload my data from ext hard drive to another pc, convert Fat32 to NTFS using XP Covert utility and xfr data back to ext HD? By doing this, will the XP wizard be successful in making a backup on the converted ext HD?

Relevancy 73.96%

A few weeks ago I had to redo my entire laptop When 10). Drive: The Start External Hard (Code Solved: Device HELP!! Cannot everything was finished I plugged in my external hard drive Maxtor and it worked perfectly fine A couple of days ago Solved: External Hard Drive: The Device Cannot Start (Code 10). HELP!! I went to play some music which is all on my external hard drive along with some pictures and the drive wasn t showing on My Computer Ive searched everywhere for suggestions and have done them all let it sit unplugged overnight uninstalled all the USB ports and installed them again searched for the most recent driver for that piece of hardware When I plug it in it makes the sound that Windows recognizes that the device has been plugged in And same when I unplug it But I always get the yellow exclaimation point with quot The Device Cannot Start Code quot message Now I ve run out of options I updated Windows XP I m using a USB port and cord The thing I dont get is how it worked a few days ago then just decided to crap out ANY suggestions would be SOOOOO helpful Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Solved: External Hard Drive: The Device Cannot Start (Code 10). HELP!!

Sounds like it's gone. Now you need to determine if it is the drive or the enclosure. You may be able to salvage the data by connecting it internally, but if it is the drive itself, you better just use your backups. Externals fail pretty often. Because they are external, they get knocked easily. And even a gentle blow can destroy the hard drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-hard-drive-the-device-cannot-start-code-10-help.896947/
Relevancy 73.1%

i had an old notebook with an overheating problem that I thought I had fixed so I transferred all my music and picture files to it then the problem recurred and the computer won t reboot So I pulled the hard drive and when external initializing error i/o in hard drive management device disk put it in an enclosure I ve used before and am working i/o device error when initializing external hard drive in disk management through trying to get it recognized by my new notebook as an external hard drive Device Manager recognizes the i/o device error when initializing external hard drive in disk management drive and indicates that it is working properly and it appears in Disk Management as well However in Disk Management it shows as Disk Unknown Not Initialized When I attempt to initialize it I get the error quot The request could not be performed because of an I O device error quot I ve tried to initialize it as MBR and GPT with no luck and I ve checked the device drivers to make sure they re up to date they are What else can I try I will try anything but if it s hopeless I need to know that too I just don t want to give up if there s a chance Thanks nbsp

A:i/o device error when initializing external hard drive in disk management

How is it powered? It is possible that the enclosure does not supply enough power for that drive. Can you connect it internally?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-o-device-error-when-initializing-external-hard-drive-in-disk-management.883422/
Relevancy 72.67%

Hello,
I've just pulled a 160Gb hard drive from a second machine with various data on it, which I want to keep. I've stuck it in my primary machine as a slave, and the BIOS recognises it no problem. It is apparently there in system, device manager, but if you look for it in Explorer it isn't there.

Looking at local disk management, my primary hard disk (0) is classified as basic (rather than dynamic), but the second drive (1) is classed as dynamic and foreign. I appear to have two options, import foreign discs, or convert to basic disc. What is the difference between the two options? And which do I do if I don't wish to lose any data?

I'm running XP SP2 etc.
Thanks,
Jonathan

A:Solved: BIOS sees additional hard drive,s o does device manager but windows explorer does not

Well I think this should help you out.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q314343

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-bios-sees-additional-hard-drive-s-o-does-device-manager-but-windows-explorer-does-not.398121/
Relevancy 72.67%

As the title says, Earlier today windows wouldnt even load up as i kept getting a blue screen. after i get this fixed, my 40 GIG I:/ Drive will not show up in My Computer. Any help?

*Clicked on wrong forum, would a mod please move it.

A:Hard drive shows up in BIOS but not in My Computer

Is the drive a secondary one?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-shows-up-in-bios-but-not-in-my-computer.52949/
Relevancy 72.67%

I have a Western Digital TB Hard Drive External I use it of the time on my Windows bit computer to store pictures videos and backup important files It was working fine until I plugged it into a Drive Computer up My shows Hard no in My longer MACINTRASH to backup files from that computer It was a simple copy and paste from the MACINTRASH to the External HDD My Hard Drive no longer shows up in My Computer After copying the files from the MACINTRASH I plugged it back into my PC My PC no longer recognizes my external HDD I unplugged the power plugged it back in Same with the USB cable Rebooted Then my computer wouldn't reboot and windows did its automatic self repair Nothing I unplugged EVERYTHING and left it that way for about minutes I plugged EVERYTHING back to My Hard Drive no longer shows up in My Computer my computer and turned it on Windows booted up fine I plugged in the external HDD and windows had that little icon telling me it was installing drivers I was excited to think that it finally would recognize my external HDD Of course it didn't work The HDD does not show up in my computer It does show up in Device Manager and Disk Management Device MangerUnder Disk Drives it lists it only as quot WD quot My other drives it has a nice long name like quot WD AAK External USB Device quot Under properties it tells me Volume information for the disk cannot be found The very first time I did that prior to the reboot it said there was MB of space on it It claims the device is working properly Disk ManagementAt first this said that I must initialize my disk Now it doesn't even show up anymore I have no idea what to do anymore I've had this HDD long enough that I'm sure it is no longer under warranty I've lost so many files Please help if you can

A:My Hard Drive no longer shows up in My Computer

This got mine back on track last night from trichard13

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d-beda4bab2671

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/201457-my-hard-drive-no-longer-shows-up-my-computer.html
Relevancy 72.67%

what i mean by this is, my computer's memory was obsolete.
i had to take it to staples where they replaced the memory cartridge or something of
that nature, but now
it seems as if the computer is "fresh out of the store" and has absolutely no direction.
i would like to reinstall windows XP onto a gateway computer.
mind you, i have no internet, i can not access the desktop
and i am constantly getting blue screens.
if i come off as a little vague, i will explain some more.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/a-computer-with-broken-memory-hard-drive.616215/
Relevancy 72.67%

my computer will no longer turn on as the switch is worn out. Can I take the hard drive out of it and put it into another computer and still access my personal files? It is about 3 years old and the computer I want to put it into is about the same kind and age. However, the computer I want to use had a bad virus and will not boot up. Will I infect my hard drive if I put it into this computer? Any help would be appreciated.

A:Broken computer, need files from hard drive

You could try booting the computer from a Linux live CD.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/broken-computer-need-files-from-hard-drive.1001178/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi
My dvd rom drive was not working so I uninstalled it and restarted my computer to reinstall it but it never let me reinstall it so now it isn't coming up in device manager at all and is not in my computer. I have tried the upper and lower filters but I haven't got them so I cant delete them also I have uninstalled and reinstalled the ide ata/atapi controllers and it came up installing disk drive and it was complete and it told me to restart and I did and it still wasnt working.. I have also tried the microsoft fix thing and it didnt work so someone help please!

It is also in the bios when I boot up

A:Cd/dvd rom drive missing in device manager and my computer

Your System Specs gives very little information. How old is the computer, is it still in warranty?

By default Windows Explorer is set to not display empty drives so it wouldn't show up until a disc has been inserted, it's in Tools, Folder Options, View tab.

As a diagnostic in such situations I usually start by shutting the computer down, pull the power cord out of it then put the cord back and try again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/344972-cd-dvd-rom-drive-missing-device-manager-my-computer.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Recently changed some hard drives in my desktop and the CD/DVD Drive is not working, Not detected in "My Computer" or  Device Manager. 
I was wondering how I can get it working again, not too well versed on changing bios setting.
Can any of the pro's here offer a walkthrough?
Using a custom built desktop
Operating System
MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
AMD Athlon XP
Thoroughbred 0.13um Technology
RAM
3.0GB DDR @ 133MHz (2.5-3-3-7)
Motherboard
KT400-8235 (Socket A)
Graphics
719BF ([email protected])
128MB RADEON 9600 PRO Family (Microsoft Corporation) (ATI)
Hard Drives
313GB Western Digital WDC WD3200JB-00KFA0 (PATA) 22 °C
244GB Western Digital WDC WD2500BB-55GUC0 (PATA) 29 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device

Appreciate the consideration
Charlie

A:CD/DVD Drive not detected in "My Computer" or Device Manager

The only times I ever have had issues with plug n play not finding devices, it has been because my cable connections weren't made properly.

You should probably turn off the computer, open the case and make sure the CD drives data cable is completely on the motherboard connector. Check it is likewise fully inserted into the back of the drive.

I know that for the 4-pin Molex connectors (used for non-SATA drives), an accidental forceful tug on them can cause one of the wires to "pop" off of where it is normally secured inside the connector. This may not be obvious by looking at it. 

I would suggest using a different connector to power the drive, if there is another one available.

After checking the connections, start the computer and see if Windows finds it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532473/cddvd-drive-not-detected-in-my-computer-or-device-manager/
Relevancy 72.24%

My CD/DVD drive is not showing up in My Computer or Device Manager. I went into the Registry and deleted the Upper and Lower Filters, but tha didn't work.

This is the type of drive that I have:

Pioneer CD/DVD-RW DVDRKD08L ATA​
I have a Toshiba Satellite L355D-S7825 Laptop.​
If it helps any, the problem started after I uninstalled a program called Alcohol 120%.​

Relevancy 72.24%

Hi there I have a problem where the CD drive does not appear in in Computer (but My CD device Not manager) Appearing In Drive quot My Computer quot however it does appear in the device manager I cannot check whether it appears in the BIOS because HP limits what you can do CD Drive Not Appearing In My Computer (but in device manager) to the laptop This is a HP Pavilion DV Notebook It used to function okay then for no apparent reason it has disappeared It does not appear in Drive Management so it hasn t got anything to do with not being assigned a drive letter Interesting thing is The CD tray has power it opens okay And the drive light on the CD tray lights up when I place a CD in the drive and close it You can even hear the CD drive powering up and spinning But the computer shows nothing of its existence apart from device manager I have tried restoring the computer completely back to factory settings and there has been no change Any suggestions Many Thanks Joe EDIT found out the Fujitsu MHY in disk drives in device manager is in fact not the disk drive this is the hardrive Does this indicate that the disk drive has died then It doesnt appear in Disk Manager or My Computer nbsp

A:CD Drive Not Appearing In My Computer (but in device manager)

Does the CD drive have an error in Device Manager? What is the model it lists for the drive in Device Manager and what version of Windows?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-drive-not-appearing-in-my-computer-but-in-device-manager.989032/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello, i am new here so her goes..
After updating my Dvd/cd drive last night and then rebooting caused my computer to startup up slow. At the dell startup up screen it stays completed for around a minute or so and then loads up fine. When i went to My computer and Device Manager it doesnt show up. I tried unplugging and replugging the Dvd/CD cables inside but that didnt change it.
Please help.

Relevancy 71.81%

After reinstalling Windows XP Pro on Dimention 4700 I lost sound and connect to the network.

Device Manager shows a yellow ? in next devices:
Ethernet-controller
Video controller
Video Controller (VGA-compatible)
Multimedia audio controller

Advise how to fix it.
Thank you.

A:Device Manager shows a yellow ?

Do not double-post.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/1032954-device-manager-shows-yellow.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/device-manager-shows-a-yellow.1032956/
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi There I ve had two issues in the past couple of months which you folks as shows on Device DVD-ROM Manager Solved: CD-RW have helped me solve I m hoping that this one is easier I ve just bought a quot Solved: CD-RW shows as DVD-ROM on Device Manager new quot used computer that s the same as the one I had problems with It didn t come with a hard drive or OS but it had a valid Windows XP Pro COA I installed the OS my printers drivers updated Windows Service Packs etc on a hard drive Everything s good EXCEPT I tried to burn a CD with the CD-RW It was unsuccessful Going through Device Manager it s reading the CD-RW as just a DVD ROM Thinking the CD-RW was defective I swapped the CD-RWs from the two computers The quot new quot one worked fine in the other computer and the other CD-RW showed as a DVD-ROM on the quot new quot computer Does anyone know what s going on and how I can fix it It s still under warranty by the seller so I can return it within the next couple of days if it s a serious problem but I really like this computer-it s got a faster processor than my older one Thanks for any help I can get nbsp

Relevancy 71.81%

I have been having issues with my new iphone4, and when prompted to trouble shoot by looking for the device in the device manager, none of my devices show in the window. Also, I cannot turn off User Account control to stop the consistent pop ups asking for permission to do anything. Any help you could provide would be appreciated. I am using an ASUS G2 laptop, running windows Vista 32bit.

A:Device Manager shows no devices

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-hardware/device-manager-is-blank/51a16b23-d188-4501-91c0-0a257a643e4b

As for UAC, use this simple utility and set uac to quiet mode: http://www.tweak-uac.com/home/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/442851/device-manager-shows-no-devices/
Relevancy 71.81%

OS - Windows XP
Chipset - Atom
Device manager shows blank.
USB devices doesnot work (Mouse connected to USB port) is not working though the LED in the mouse glows.

A:Device manager shows blank

Device Manager requires the Plug and Play service
>Start, >Control Panel, >Administrative Tools >Services
post back the status of that process - is it running

No Items Appear in the Device Manager List When You Open It

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/device-manager-shows-blank-688152.html
Relevancy 71.81%

After reinstalling Windows XP Pro on Dimention 4700 I lost sound and connect to the network.

Device Manager shows a yellow ? in next devices:
Ethernet-controller
Video controller
Video Controller (VGA-compatible)
Multimedia audio controller

Advise how to fix it.
Thank you.

Relevancy 71.81%

I installed clean version of Vista 32-bit OS. When I took My Computer-->Properties-->Hardware-->Device manager, the link was broken and it doesnot show the device manager. Now I'm working from command prompt by using "devmgmt.msc". Plz suggest me the solution.
Thanks in advance..

A:device manager link broken

Quote:

Originally Posted by valmiki.prasad

. . . When I took My Computer-->Properties--> Hardware-->Device manager, the link was broken and it doesnot show the device manager. . . .

Hi. . .

Welcome back.

When you right-click on Computer and select Properties the following screen should appear where you can then select Device Manager - top left.

I am not following your reference to "hardware".

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/device-manager-link-broken-286336.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi guys, I was wondering if anybody can help me with an issue that I have with one of my computers. My old motherboard went bad, I replaced it with a similar model ( I had a MS-6547 v1.1, now I have a MS6547 v2.1 or MAX. I notived that in my device manager, all my PCI devices show 8 times and with an exclamation point. I formatted the harddrive, installed windows xp, sp3. same issue, usually my NIC card does not need the drivers from the floppy, in other words, the Cnet pro 200 actually works after I format my HD. Now even if I try to install the drivers, it will not recognize them. Same thing happends with my video card and a USB 2.0 card. I formatted my drive again and installed XP ( no SP). Same issue, please help, thanks.

Tico

A:Device Manager shows 8 of the same device

This is the link to get drivers etc. for that board :- http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=499

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/device-manager-shows-8-of-the-same-device.723648/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi I am not sure whether I should be posting this in the Windows forum or the PC Hardware because it involves both I have an external GB Transcend Drive with a lot of important data Recently I unplugged it from my PC and took to another to get some files One the other machine Vista it didn't show up as far as I can remember thought that was strange so i brought it back to my Laptop Win Dual Boot Disk" doesn't Hard Win "Local and In in / 7 as Drive External work Works Ubuntu Shows with Ubuntu and it only showed as Local Disk I have tried to find useful information on the net but some is very vague and some is outright stupid and irrelevant The fact is that the HDD is not broken When in Ubuntu I can view the contents fine and everything is there no freeze ups or anything but External Hard Drive Works In Ubuntu / Shows as "Local Disk" in Win 7 and doesn't work in windows the drive shows up as External Hard Drive Works In Ubuntu / Shows as "Local Disk" in Win 7 and doesn't work Local Disk I don't think it is a drive letter conflict The Device shows up fine in the Device Manager I'm sure some of you have solved this problem as it seems many on the Internet have If so please tell me in a few steps how you resolved it I am External Hard Drive Works In Ubuntu / Shows as "Local Disk" in Win 7 and doesn't work not formatting as I do not deem this necessary since I can access my data fine in Ubuntu Kind Regards

A:External Hard Drive Works In Ubuntu / Shows as "Local Disk" in Win 7 and doesn't work

I suggest that while in Ubuntu you move the files to local HDD, then reformat external HDD, then copy the files back.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-hard-drive-works-in-ubuntu-shows-as-local-disk-in-win-7-and-doesnt-work-500728.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Alright.. So my DVD only works when it wants too. I need to install a bunch of software and anti virus programs so its important I get it too work

there is no "cd/dvd drive" list thingy in device manager for me
it doesn't show up on my computer either

I just reformated my laptop

its a HP pavillon DV6000, dv6824ca to be more specific.. Vista OS

Any clue whats going on?
I searched but got 50 pages of results, went through 5 couldn't find the same problem and gave up.

If you need more info let me no

A:DVD drive not showing up in device manager or my computer [urgent]

Hi

Here is the resolution for this kind of issue

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dvd-drive-not-showing-up-in-device-manager-or-my-computer-urgent-449149.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi all Here's my in not Computer, present but Manager seen unavailable. Drive Device in problem and how far I have got with it Windows can't see WDC WD JS- NCB GB SATA hard drive either installed internally or attached by USB in caddy This drive was migrated from a build that has stood idle for a while without a monitor I accidentally booted this computer and had to shut it down with the power button In Drive not seen in Computer, present in Device Manager but unavailable. the build the drive has been migrated to the USB to ATP ATPI bridge is seen in Device Manager but the drive is marked unavailable The drive can be seen from an Ubuntu Live disc and some files can be accessed but the drive dismounts after a few minutes and shows as needing formatting The Disks Accessory shows all the partitions Drive has a Windows and at least one Linux install GParted stalls with errors I followed jumanji's Post at disk is unknown not initialized unallocated and installed ran MiniTool Partition Wizard however when the Partition Recovery Wizard completed scanning it showed one partition overlapped with another and at the recovery prompt said that at least one partition would be deleted and I am unsure how to proceed An GB partition is showing as existing but unformatted this then shows up without a file system and overlapping several Linux Ext partitions see screenshots I'm not sure what is going on here I would have expected it to come back showing a Windows data partition formatted NTFS and a Linux Ext partition subdivided Root Home Swap etc both marked as existing this is what the Disks Accessory shows in Ubuntu and how I remember the drive as set up I am going to log out now and reboot into Ubuntu to see if the drive will show up long enough to get some screenies of what the Disks Accessory and the file manager can see Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment

A:Drive not seen in Computer, present in Device Manager but unavailable.

Hello and welcome Deadtroopers mate the attachments are not showing up please follow this Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

If you can send us a pic of the Disk Management Start > Computer(right click it) > Disk Management - see pic

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/398213-drive-not-seen-computer-present-device-manager-but-unavailable.html
Relevancy 71.38%

hey
my dvd/cd drive stoped reading discs and isnt showing up inn my computer its in device manager but says this device cannot start iv tried updating driver my drivers are up to date iv tried uninstalling and reinstalling and its starting to get on my nerves

Thank You
Kallum

A:Disc drive not showing up in my computer but in device manager

try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/disc-drive-not-showing-up-in-my-computer-but-in-device-manager-404410.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hello all,

I have just finished building my first system form the ground up. My problem is not what I expected, as I was waiting for a major catastrophy...LOL

On post, and in the device manager, the info about my processor is wrong.

Here is what I have:

ECS KT600-A Mobo
Athlon 2400XP
512 Kingston DDR 333
ATI 9000 Pro
WinXP Pro

On post, and in the device manager, it shows that my CPU is only an 1800+ and 1.5 gig. This was bought in a retail box from a respected dealer here, and I understand this to be a 2 gig CPU.

Is there something I have to do in the bios to recognise the full spec of the CPU?

I have been at this all night, and I am now off to bed. I will look for responses in when I get up.

Thanks in advance

Parm

A:Device Manager Shows wrong info

Go into bios and check your FSB setting.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/device-manager-shows-wrong-info.209089/
Relevancy 71.38%

I've had this 2TB Ext hdd 1021 for about a year and it's worked perfectly up until today. I don't want to reformat or anything like that, as I have nearly the entire 2TB worth of memory filled with films and TV shows. It won't read when it's hooked up to any of the ports, it doesn't show up in disc management, but it does show up in device manager. But now that I have it showing up there - now what? The drive still won't open nor (obviously) play any of my films/shows on it. I want to - at the very least - extract the data from it and move it elsewhere.

A:2TB Ext HDD 1021 shows in device manager, won't play

Probably the cheapest way to figure out if it was the enclosure or the drive that crapped out on you is to buy one of those drive dock devices that looks like a mini-toaster. Then pull apart the enclosure, extract the drive, and stick it in the dock. If the drive works, you're in business. If it doesn't, short of sending it to a recovery service (which would probably cost a couple grand) the data's as good as gone.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/56972-2tb-ext-hdd-1021-shows-device-manager-wont-play.html
Relevancy 71.38%

hey, i found this odd my pc in the hardware manager thing says Radeon 9800 pro And beneath it says Radeon 9800 pro Secondary. Now this is just a shot in the dark but could the pc think there is 2 installed and could that be causing some of my random reboots? my pc works when it wants i get a bunch of hassle with it all new parts and i cant figure out the problem quite this is just one of the things that i ponder if u can think of anything let me kno. im also going to upgrade my psu just because i have extremely low amps on the 12v rail and every forums answer is "upgrade psu" so y not. ok thanks again. give me some thoughts!

Relevancy 71.38%

Installed a 1.5tb wd caviar green i bought on boxing day today

hd is detected in bios
Started up windows, windows automatically detected and installed the driver, but i dont see the drive in explorer.

I can see the drive in the device manager but it is not even detected by the westerm digital data lifeguard diagnostic program.

Any thoughts?

A:wd green1.5tb shows up in device manager, but nowre els

Have you formatted it? Are all data cables plugged in firmly at both mobo and drive? All power cables plugged in firmly?

Try Disk Manager... START ---> All Programs ---> Administrative Tools ---> Computer Management (Or right click on Computer and choose Manage)

Now go to Disk Management... What do you see there?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/69578-wd-green1-5tb-shows-up-device-manager-but-nowre-els.html