Windows Support Forum

Burning smell upgrading RAM

Q: Burning smell upgrading RAM

Updated memory on Diemension dell 1100. Put the sticks in wrong way. Turned on, no action
but a burning smell. Powered down and inserted chips correctly. PC ok now but would there have been any
permanent damage and is there a remote risk of the PC going on fire ?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Burning smell upgrading RAM

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Burning smell upgrading RAM

It's hard to see without me seeing it personally. If it's working OK now I'd continue to use it as normal. However obviously they're not designed to work with backwards memory hehe.

I'd do a backup of your data just in case, and then keep an eye on things and see how it goes. I doubt the machine will catch on fire. Check the motherboard for any signs of blown capacitors or scorch marks maybe?

Can't remember the last time I dealt with improperly installed memory and then tried to boot so sorry I can't offer up more suggestions.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/burning-smell-upgrading-ram.163931/
Relevancy 94.6%

Updated memory on Diemension dell 1100. Put the sticks in wrong way. Turned on, no action
but a burning smell. Powered down and inserted chips correctly. PC ok now but would there have been any
permanent damage and is there a remote risk of the PC going on fire ?

A:Burning smell upgrading ram

Well if it still works it probaly just got hot without burning anything out. Now that they are in correctly there should not by any more risk of fire than otherwise. Some component may have weakened and not last as long now however.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/burning-smell-upgrading-ram.991750/
Relevancy 70.52%

I have an HP Media Center m7480. I use it for my music, TV, and Movie entertainment. It has been great until about a week ago. There is now a electrical "hot" smell coming from the unit located at the top rear of the machine (main power cord plugs into it as well). The system still works, it just smells hot now. I dusted and cleared some potential ventilation issues, but I am sure the damage is already done and just need to replace what is burned.

I am a beginning Computer guy and would like to fix it myself. Do I need to replace that entire upper unit or can I find the exact piece that may be getting hot and replace it.

Also, what may be the best options to keep them from heating up so much in the future (other than better cleaning and dusting practices).

A:Burning smell

If it is continuous then you need to replace power supply.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/burning-smell.673356/
Relevancy 70.52%

hi, recently i hooked up my new 42" hdtv to my pc via hdmi cable. about 2 days after i smelled a burning smell coming from my pc.i cant exactly tell where its coming from. i would suspect the power supply or video card. i shut my pc off for a day and then started it up again. still smelled the burning smell but not as bad. did the tv make my video card use too much power or overheat it? any ideas? specs

windows7 homepremium 64bit
ultra lsp 650w p/s
xfx radeon 5750 hd 1 gb ddr3
4gb corsair ddr3 memory

A:burning smell from pc

Most likely coincidence.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/burning-smell-from-pc.1082625/
Relevancy 70.52%

I smelt someting burning from the system case. While pc was on, the fan from the power supply was not turning. It is an antec power supply. The pc runs good, no sound or anything else. the power supply is new, so it's not dirty. Why is this?

Relevancy 70.52%

Well I was installing 4 more case fans ( not attached to my fan controller) next to my video card because I was overclocking it some. After I got done I plugged everything back in and booted my computer up. All my case fans started spinning fine then all of the sudden my cathode lights flicker and I immidiately unplugged the power from the tower. I then smelled a faint burning smell and a crackling noise, kind of like a monitor when you plug it in. Will overloading a power supply fry everything or will it just not work? WHen I was picking my computer up and putting it back on my desk I think i bent one of the cathode lights (would that short it out, then in turn short out my fan controller?).

Please note that I know for a fact that it was not my video card that caused the problem.

Relevancy 70.52%

For about a year and a half I have been running a Radeon on my machine but about a month ago I switched it out for a GTX The very first time the new card was under load I began to smell what I thought at the time was burnt dust as the GTX runs pretty hot under load The smell was a bit annoying and even abrasive enough to give me Burning Odd Smell Please -Help a scratchy throat during a prolonged gaming Odd Burning Smell -Help Please session thought it was in my head Fast forward about a month and the smell has only gotten worse I ve since cleaned out my case but that didn t help The GPU does run hot and the smell seemed to be originating from it so I put my Radeon back in to check and see if that would solve the problem It didn t the smell persisted Sniffing around my machine the smell seems to be coming from my PSU which made sense as the GTX requires a bit more power than the Radeon but I was under the impression that if a PSU was burning out or failing my PC wouldn t run and it was running just fine Basically I want to know if I should replace the PSU It s an Watt ATX PSU by Cyberpower I didn t think they made their own components Could that be the source of the smell or should I try something else first At V it says it runs A which should be enough to run the GTX just fine Any suggestions nbsp

Relevancy 70.52%

I noticed a faint burning smell in my PC so I checked the temperature and it read 50C not under load. So i decided to install my Asus Probe and I keep getting this flashing and beeping sound warning me that +12V out of threshold It's at 13,696V how do I get it down to normal???

Relevancy 70.52%

Burning Smell

I am running a HP a600n, Win XP Home, 512 MB Ram, AMD 2700.

Today I started to smell something that resembles buring plastic. I could smell it coming out of the back of my PC and the power cord was somewhat hot to the touch. Not too hot to touch just hotter than I thought it should be. Anyway I opened up my PC and my video card is pretty hot. It is an old card, nvida 64mb, that I have been running for about a year, after being retired for several years. Are video cards usually hot to the touch? I thought it might be my power supply but that does have an overbearing smell and it is not hot to the touch. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Am I hurting my PC by running it and is my video card the possible culprit? Thanks in advance for your help.

Relevancy 70.52%

Hi Guys am starting to smell somthing like burning rubber not realy sure if its rubber when i on the pc there is no smell what so ever but when i run MW3 at full Graphics the smell starts so what is this smell ? is it the video card ?

A:Burning Smell

The chances are that one of the fans is burning up at high RPM. It could be the video card, heatsink, case, or even the power supply fan in that order. Isn't the smell more of an electricity related smell?

The chances of you getting burned in MW3 is discounted

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/265138-burning-smell.html
Relevancy 69.66%

two years ago I built a PC for my uncle, a Gigabyte mobo, OCZ ram, XFX 8600GT, Core2Duo and a 425watt HiPER PSU

after 18 months he reported burning smell coming from the PSU....

what could this have been do you think?

he replaced it with an unbranded type from PC world that cost about 40 after I told him to stay away from cheap ones... I got the HiPER as I was under the impression they were a 'half' decent brand and would have done for his system....

its just im worried if its something else causing it and will it happen again with new one? - although cheap it looked sturdy with a 12cm fan

Relevancy 69.66%

Hey,So I've been dealing with my laptop smelling like burning plastic every time I use it. I don't have it plugged it to charge and it smells. The bottom is real hot to touch even though I give it room to cool.I've had other problems with it and was wondering if I could return it or do something about it. I've had the laptop less the one year.

A:Burning plastic Smell

#HPExpertDayTurn off the computer, unplug all attached cables and call HP Support ASAP.Not kidding...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Burning-plastic-Smell/td-p/5624575
Relevancy 69.66%

So I burning smell laptop have a compaq presario f laptop I always use the laptop on burning laptop smell a hard desk surface without clothes or stuff like that in the way Starting about - years ago it sometimes heated so much that it would shut off in the middle of operating It still does that now I then made sure to stack some books on the table and place the laptop on it or place in on my lap to increase the heat transfer by convection Sometimes it STILL would shut off if I leave it on for burning laptop smell a few hours and run lots of programs Anyways I began noticing more recently can't remember when could be a burning laptop smell few months or a year ago that it would sometimes give off a burning smell if I run a lot of programs I was too lazy to do anything about it since other than it running slowly there weren't any serious problems But now I've finally decided I may want to take some action I dont know where the heating and burning smell come from When the laptop gets hot its like that everywhere when I touch the bottom I tried disassembling the laptop and didn't notice any parts that seemed burnt but I've only removed the cover on the bottom I can see one of the fans and it appears really dusty I would have to continue disassembling to see all the other parts But to continue working I need to get remove the mm hex studs on one of the parts I checked a few nearby stores even Home Depot but none of them has it But a local computer repair store could remove it Is it worth it I don't feel comfortable with someone touching my laptop

A:burning laptop smell

hi there

it sounds to me that the main cooling fan has become inefficient, usually due to build up of dust and hair etc, stopping it revolving to cool well enough or even stopping it completely

i would say that you need to at least get the fan out and clean it, then reassemble and ensure its kicking in as it should by listening for activity from it or leaving the cover off, booting up the machine and watching for the fan movement

however if you have any doubts about doing this yourself, i'd definitely get it looked at professionally, a reputable repair company should easily be able to find the issue and responsibly sort it, overheating is one of the most common laptop hardware faults and as such is likely to be their bread and butter :-)

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/289830-burning-laptop-smell.html
Relevancy 69.66%

My HP Pavilion Slimline s less than years old practically caught fire this morning nbsp I turned it on started it up and within minutes smoke came out the back and this horrible burning smell filled the air nbsp I turned the PC off and now it won't turn Burning Smell, Smoke back on nbsp The green nbsp Burning Smell, Smoke light does go on in the back when I connect it to the power supply but it does not start at all nbsp I opened up the side of the tower Burning Smell, Smoke and something in there definitely fried although I can't see exactly what it is nbsp It reeks of melted plastic and ash inside nbsp Tower was kept on top of a table completely out in the open nbsp So ventilation was more than adequate nbsp And as late as last night I still heard the fans going nbsp So those were fine as far as I know nbsp Motherboard looks OK too nbsp nbsp This is the first time I have ever had to replace a PC in such a short time frame And I bought an HP assuming it was a quality product nbsp Boy was I wrong nbsp The darn thing didn't even last TWO YEARS What a piece of junk nbsp Of course HP support tells me it will probably cost a few hundred dollars to send it to them to fix nbsp And Geek Squad wants just to look at it and diagnose the problem plus whatever parts and additional labor it takes to fix it nbsp Something in there will need to be replaced for sure nbsp So I may as well go buy a new tower nbsp Which nbsp of course will NOT be an HP nbsp nbsp And let's not even get started on what a pain in the neck it was to get the hard drive out so Burning Smell, Smoke I can have Geek Squad retrieve my files nbsp I practically had to rip the thing apart and my hands are covered in cuts from nbsp trying to squeeze my hands in there nbsp HP - you really need to make a better product nbsp Because you just lost a customer nbsp

A:Burning Smell, Smoke

Hello JOBeans0817, I am going to forward your thread to the appopriate team for review. No matter the age of the machine it shouldn't reach a point of smoking when turned on if it has been kept in good condition.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Burning-Smell-Smoke/td-p/1856539
Relevancy 68.8%

Hello!
I recived a brand new computer yesterday.upon opening the box, i felt a burning smell like a wire has been burning or a circuit has been fried.At first i ignored it but now im getting worried.The computer has been on for 15 hours or so with a 2 hour break and it wont go away.Any ideas?

Also a question about the PSU.On it, there is the on/off switch, but theres also a small black switch that i can regulate.what is it for?right now its on mid.

A:Brand New Computer, burning smell

Return it for an exchange or refund. Why take a chance.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/214680-brand-new-computer-burning-smell.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Hello,
I dropped my pc the other day (a 2005 Dell Dimension 3000 stock), and then when I would start it, it would turn off 2 seconds to 10 minutes later. when rebooted it would say 'turned off due to themal error" then one time it did some scan thing and said drive was dirty and did a long start up scan... then later I turned it on and smelt burning from the psu. i took it out and inspected it and it looked ok, put it back in now it won't even turn on and a orange light flashes. Is the problem that i need a new psu?
should i buy one on ebay, they are only $20. also is a dimesion 2100 psu the same as a 3000? b/c one is for sale that comes with other items i need.
thanks for the help! I'm pretty newbie to computers sorry...

A:Dropped PC, won't start.. burning smell.. psu?

A lot of things could have happened. Reseat all cards, cables. Hard drives are subject to shock and given enough jolt can damage it permanently. See if there is anything rattling. Read the no p.o.s.t. guide in he guides forum.

PCs are delicate. A big enough drop can seriously damage components.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dropped-pc-wont-start-burning-smell-psu.79406/
Relevancy 68.8%

Last night I bought a new DellXPS13 and this morning turned it on. It has a plastic smell after booting it up that caused my nose to burn. When I started charging it it had a slight burning smell, never had this experience with other new laptops in the past. Some say this is normal and will stop in a few days and some say I should return it. Any input?

A:New Dell XPS13 burning smell

i would return it - I would not expect a burning smell

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-dell-xps13-burning-smell.1166992/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hey guys So I was using my computer yesterday when it randomly shut off When I tried to turn it back on nothing was appearing on the monitor smell not starting/burning Comp I could hear the hard drive and fans spinning but there was no display After i tried to turn it back on my room smelled strongly of something electronic burning and i quickly shut it off Earlier today I tried to turn it on again The monitor was working this time and it tried to start windows in safe mode About seconds Comp not starting/burning smell into the Windows XP loading screen i smelled something burning again and the computer shut itself off on its own Anyone have any idea what s going on and or how to fix it My best guess would be a bad power supply but my knowledge of computer hardware is pretty slim so some input from people who know what they re doing would be nice before i go out and start spending money Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Comp not starting/burning smell

Hi,

First view would be Power Supply, then either the fan on your graphics card or the graphics card itself.

It could be the monitor though, to eiagnose this. Try the computer with a different monitor and monitor with a different computer.

hth

Ceri

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/comp-not-starting-burning-smell.528893/
Relevancy 68.8%

Burning smell from tower and then nothing else works it wont even start

A:burning smell from tower now nothing works

Sounds like a bad power supply, also, check all the wires to see if there is any damage.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/burning-smell-from-tower-now-nothing-works.50882/
Relevancy 68.8%

I was playing a video game last night for only 45 minutes when my computer automatically rebooted on me. Next, I smelt a burning smell. It smelt like burning rubber. Next, I heard an electrical "popping" sound. I immediately unplugged my computer. I play this video game all the time and for much longer periods than 45 minutes, so I found all of this VERY odd. This morning, I plugged everything back in and tried to turn it on, but absolutely nothing happens. It is totally dead...not even the fan or hard drive tries to start up. Any suggestions as to what's wrong? I HOPE it's just the power supply in my computer and not something more expensive to fix...

A:Solved: I smelt a burning smell...

Sounds like a failed power supply. They aren't overly hard to swap out, but you need to make sure you get the correct type. And one with a bit more wattage.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-i-smelt-a-burning-smell.774597/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi I have a backup pc with the following hardware CPU Intel Core Duo E GHz RAM GB DDR Dual Channel MHz Motherboard Asus P Q Pro GPU Ati Radeon HD X MHz MHz HDD GB rpm case fans power leds xDVDs ROM Powered by a NILOX W PSU Since I changed my GPU from a GeForce GTS to an HD X I noticed that my PSU makes a strange noise similar to an electrical quot beep quot when i use games or other applications which make the GPU work at high performance Today I launched GPU-Z's render test in fullscreen mode and after minutes hearing the quot beep quot from the PSU I also noticed that it was really hot and I noticed a light burning smell Immediatly I turned off my pc What should I smell burning PSU strange from noise and do now Should I replace the PSU with a new and better one I don't want to burn my pc the PSU has got only A at V

A:strange noise and burning smell from PSU

That PSU is horrible.. no offense. I would have -never- trusted that GPU to such a weak PSU. I was barely able to find information about it online.

Change it asap.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/280284-strange-noise-burning-smell-psu.html
Relevancy 68.8%

i upgraded my computer a couple days ago i had and somthing gig hardrives to begin with and hot/burning after smell upgrade Solved: i added a terrebite one i also upgraded my graphics card from an nvidia Geforce to a gt and replaced one of my mb ram with a gig one i wont be replacing the other one till i get the part they gave me the second Solved: hot/burning smell after upgrade one as laptop by mistake now within - min of starting my system there is a hot burning electronics smell i was wondering what would cause this the system does not shut itself down it still runs fine just im afraid of it ruining somthing or Solved: hot/burning smell after upgrade starting a fire original system was hp pavilion elite m f http h www hp com ewfrf wc amp lc en amp dlc en amp cc us amp product amp lang en i added Seagate sata quot Barracuda internal hardrive TB mb CACH rpm Nvidia Geforce GT GB DDR PNY GB DDR PC - Optima Memory nbsp

Relevancy 68.8%

Ok I had a virus on my pc a few days ago and burning smell drive Hard through my negligence I waited too long to run a full system Hard drive burning smell check and on restarting the pc it wouldnt go into windows just a black screen with the mouse cursor Anyway no big deal most of my stuff is saved on an external So I pluged my hdd as a slave into another computer to run a virus scan it took out a lot of files and when I pluged it back it it had the same problem so I figured what the hell time for a fresh install anyways Now today I was going to Hard drive burning smell xfer my files that I had on there to my external and pluged the gimped drive into a recently purchased enclosure NSP-E upon firing it up the HDD began to make a lot of noise as it began to spin thought it was just it starting up but then I smelt a electric fire smell and quickly shut it off Upon inspection It was coming from the HDD Just recently I tested it on my other pc installing it internally it imediatly began making the same noise so I shut down again What just happened and is Hard drive burning smell there any recovering nbsp

A:Hard drive burning smell

Actually it's very strange. The Hard Drive is a sealed unit
Are you sure nothing was touching it? But if its making a bad noise anyway, I's say it's shot, gone, ded, and done.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-burning-smell.127573/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi everyone Appreciate any PC now up - power - won't smell Desktop burning initial insights on this Was online using a VOIP program as well as playing an online game Smelled a burning smell and then the computer just shut down About a week before that for the very first time my computer took a while to restart Desktop PC - burning smell - won't power up now just hanging on the windows logo screen I had to shut it down and reboot and everything was fine No updates were being installed at the time Not sure if it was related but it was the first time this machine had done that This machine was built in late June of So far Tried a new PSU with it Corsair AX platinum Tested the voltage on the CMOS battery popped it out for a few minutes tested it Tested the old PSU listed below with the green wire test No obvious damage on the mobo but currently about to start taking my build apart and taking a closer look at everything Specs Seasonic M II SS- AM W ATX V EPS V SLI Ready PLUS Bronze PSU EVGA ACX Cooler GeForece GTX R PCI Express SLI Support ASUS Z -PRO Wi-Fi ac LGA Intel Z HDMI SATA Desktop PC - burning smell - won't power up now Gb s USB ATX Intel mobo Crucial Ballistix Sport GB x GB -pin DDR SDRAM DDR Intel Core i - K haswell Quad-Core GHz LGA W Desktop PC - burning smell - won't power up now Crucial M GB SATA SS drive WD Blue TB hard drive rpm SATA Gb s MB cache Samsung SATA Gb- optical drive Cooler Master Hyper EVO-CPU cooler with mm PWM Fan Windows System Builder OEM bit Thanks in advance for the help nbsp

A:Desktop PC - burning smell - won't power up now

Additionally, the little power button on the mobo is red lit when plugged into the PSU. No beeps when trying to turn it on. Fans don't run either. Speaker is installed on the mobo. When I do try and power up the machine after hooking up the PSU, I do hear a faint click, but nothing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-pc-burning-smell-wont-power-up-now.1156045/
Relevancy 68.8%

I just installed a new Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-450 ATX12V 450W Power Supply in my computer 2 days ago. Now I am noticing a faint burning smell. I opened up the case while it is running and see no problem with the wires or connections. The smell specifically comes from the power supply fan on the back of the case. Is this normal or is the power supply faulty? I'm hoping its just some residue burning off and it will go away, don't really feel like replacing it again.....Anyone have any ideas?

Relevancy 67.94%

My PC ASUS P G with G RAM nVidia FX AGP graphics card Compro TV Tuner Card XP Pro SP Background Last Wednesday i installed a new TV Tuner Card System was Smell, Screen Burning Freezing & PC Black fine til about days ago The problem The other day i was working on my PC and started smelling a mild electrical burning smell The smell faded before i could figure out what it is but came Burning Smell, Black Screen & PC Freezing back again about minutes later followed closely by my system freezing and my monitor going black I Burning Smell, Black Screen & PC Freezing had to pull the power cord out the back of the system to turn it Burning Smell, Black Screen & PC Freezing off After a few minutes i turned it back on again and it appeared to boot fine About minutes after using it the same thing happened again and the screen went black At this point i figured the problem was most probably my AGP Card so i got the case apart and took it out After changing my monitor back to the on-board graphics SiS chipset the system appeared to boot fine again I used it for probably hrs of use after this and was thinking the problem was solved until this morning when i smelt that burning smell again followed by the entire system freezing up This time though the screen did NOT go black so i assume the onboard graphics are ok still At this point today i removed the TV Tuner card rebooted and it loaded fine I ve not used it much this this happened I m not sure what actually caused these problems or if they are more serious than they appear Notes I have looked at the AGP card amp the TV Tuner card for marks or signs of burns and neither have them The problems all started days after i installed the TV Tuner Card in PCI Slot Is it possible that the TV Card was the catalyst of the problems and has actually caused damage to the AGP Card Does anybody have any insight into this type of problem nbsp

Relevancy 67.94%

Okay I need some help Two days ago I walked over to my computer and it had apparently shut itself down I tried to turn it on again but got zero response At this point my keyboard and other items connected to the tower Showed power I then hit the dedicated on off switch on Solved: Random shutdown. smell. Burning the psu and there was no power to anything Fast forward to today and out of boredom I hit the power switch and it turns on like there was never a problem except now there s a very bad burning smell coming out Solved: Random shutdown. Burning smell. from it and I am unable to identify the source It has a new motherboard in it about months Solved: Random shutdown. Burning smell. old and it doesn t seem to have any problems I m thinking that its perhaps a bad psu or potentially my graphics card burning up The psu is an ultra watt and the graphics card is an xfx geforce gso They are both original and about years old Thanks for any help Okay well I changed out the power supply Burning smell is gone Starts up Except my monitor is no longer getting signal Wonderful Is it possible that the old psu burnt out my brand new motherboard Is there something I did wrong that could cause this I installed a corsair gs Bigger then the old one ugh please help nbsp

Relevancy 67.94%

PC & Burning Case Power Switch smell PC Problem Hi I recently built a new PC for a family member but I have one problem the old motherboard fried due to a power surge couple of days back I refitted a new motherboard but am having problems with the Case Power Switch I know where is goes on the motherboard but not which way I know which is plus and minus on the motherboard but can identify which PC Case Power Switch & Burning smell is which on the wire at the back of the wire it has a small arrow on one side and nothing on the other Normally I have a sheet which identifies the plus and minus that come with the case PC Problem On another PC which I have built for someone else I could smell burning and I can t identify what is wrong I have built a few PC s but first time this has happened could it just be because its a new motherboard Thanks in Advance nbsp

A:PC Case Power Switch & Burning smell

Case power switches, reset switches have no polarity needs. Plug them in anyway you want. Burning smells coming from computers is never a "normal" or good thing

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-case-power-switch-burning-smell.119443/
Relevancy 67.94%

I was on my desktop computer last night when it randomly shut down and I could smell burning but I was not sure where it was coming from.

I found that the graphics card was hot but this is not unusual, my PSU was hot but I don't usually check this and the heatsink felt fine apart from the CPU metal contact. I had recently replaced the heatsink as I broke the former when trying to clean it. I do could not see any visual signs of damage but I wasn't able to remove the PSU from the motherboard (but it has been there for 3+ years).

I could not tell where the burning was coming from.

My specifications are:

Intel Q9300
Nvidia Geforce GTX 280
Tagan 400W PSU
ASUS P5Q (vanilla)

How do I best approach this?

Cheers,

Doraku

A:My computer randomly shut down and I could smell burning

The recommended PSU for a Geforce GTX 280 is a 550 watt power supply so you've been stressing that unit way past its limit, so I would start by replacing the power supply with a high quality, higher wattage unit. We recommend the Corsair TX 650 quite a lot: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-computer-randomly-shut-down-and-i-could-smell-burning.1036583/
Relevancy 67.94%

I have a month old laptop that has a burning smell when I boot it up. It works fine and the smell quickly goes away, but it is bothersome.

A:burning smell Inspiron 15 3000 series

Hi xine48,
Please run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned in the video below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.
http://dell.to/164l6g4
Also, let us know from which part of the system you get the burning smell.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19682940
Relevancy 67.94%

I put in a little GT 610 graphics card about a week ago and everything has been fine since, I get up this morning and now there is the smell of burning dust coming from my computer.

I opened up the case, checked the fans, checked all the hardware, checked for burnt items on the motherboard and all seem to be in order, I checked what temps of things i could with the speccy program and all are in the normal range.

The computer is running fine, no slow downs or anything, can anyone suggest to me something else to look for, the smell of burning dust is quite strong though not overwhelming by any means.

Thanks
TC

A:smell of burning dust coming from computer

Hello TC,

Have you already gave the inside of your case a good cleaning and blowing out any dust?

How does the PSU look? Don't open the PSU because it can electrocute you even when unplugged. Only look through the grill.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/47119-smell-burning-dust-coming-computer.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello I just went out the house for a few hours so left my problem System room) in standby (Burning smell computer on standby I came back to System standby problem (Burning smell in room) find the room had a slight burning smell which was confirmed by my brother When I tried starting my computer it stopped at the screen as soon as the motherboard loads Its never done that before Nothing else electrical was on in the room After a few minutes it asked some question about whether I wanted to delete the boot info or continue with the previos boot It was on about the standby information held on the hard drive however I cant remember how the question was praised Its been asking that question on and off the last few times Ive set the system in standby however its never left a burning smell in the room or anything like that I just select to delete and continue and it loads like a fresh boot loosing any data from when it was put on standby I ve been doing some forensic stuff imaging and analysing ram recently so god knows if its anything to do with that It only started the past few days since I got into imaging ram however I doubt its relating as imaging ram shouldnt affect the computers ram state considering the importance it would hold in an investigation Has anyone got any idea whats going on Suppose I better do some backing up Cheers nbsp

Relevancy 67.51%

I was browsing websites on a four year old Dell Dimension 4700 PC when all of a sudden the computer suddenly turned off. The computer would not turn back on and the power light on the front of the computer, which normally is green when the computer is on, blinked yellow over and over again. After unplugging the computer and plugging it back in, the blinking yellow light went away and the computer did power on (complete with green light), but there was a horrible burning smell coming from the machine and nothing loaded. Every time I try to turn on the computer now all I get is that green light and an incredibly loud fan, nothing comes on the screen, I hear no beeps, nothing.

What could this possibly be and what could I do to fix it? Thanks in advance.

A:Computer doesn't work after crash/burning smell

Sounds like you may have fried the power supply. Remove the covers and see how much crap is covering all the components. A can of air blaster works good to clean out heatsinks and fans. Do any work with the power unplugged then carefully turn it on and see if you can see what is cooking in there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-doesnt-work-after-crash-burning-smell.895436/
Relevancy 67.51%

I was browsing websites on a four year old Dell Dimension 4700 PC when all of a sudden the computer suddenly turned off. The computer would not turn back on and the power light on the front of the computer, which normally is green when the computer is on, blinked yellow over and over again. After unplugging the computer and plugging it back in, the blinking yellow light went away and the computer did power on (complete with green light), but there was a horrible burning smell coming from the machine and nothing loaded. Every time I try to turn on the computer now all I get is that green light and an incredibly loud fan, nothing comes on the screen, I hear no beeps, nothing.

What could this possibly be and what could I do to fix it? Thanks in advance.

A:Computer doesn't work after crash/burning smell

Firstly, don't attempt to turn it on anymore, as you're most likely cause more damage, each time, you do so.
Secondly, it's rather impossible to diagnose on line what's going on inside the case.
Your best option is to bring it to a pro shop.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/288334/computer-doesnt-work-after-crashburning-smell/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi,

I have been having a few problems lately and now I have these tiny blue dots on my screen. They go in vertical line and are not always there. I have also now noticed a burning smell from time to time and I thought it was the power cord so I bought a new one and now I know it's coming from the system.

Any information would be appreciate as to what I may do to find out exactly what is happening with my PC. I read a few things online and it says video-card but how can I tell for sure?

Any help would be great!

Thanks.

Relevancy 65.79%

I have a LaCie 500gb external harddrive that I use to back up my laptop and store large files. It has its own power supply and connects to my computer by USB. The other day I plugged it into the power supply and noticed it wouldnt turn on and there was an electrical burning smell coming from the plug on the harddrive. Is it possible that it is just the plug damaged and my data is still ok? Can I remove the data from the harddrive somehow? Would it be worth trying to get someone to repair it or should I just buy a new one?

I don't know alot about this sort of thing and any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

A:External harddrive not working, burning smell, can I retrive my data or repair it?

Yes Ur Harddisk Is Damaged Nothing will be retrive from It

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-harddrive-not-working-burning-smell-can-i-retrive-my-data-or-repair-it.130489/
Relevancy 43.86%

This is my second post and no one ever helps me out, the person with a new laptop stole the show with replies, do i stink or something...lol
Please help me if you can,
Thanks,
Nick

A:Do I smell??

Ok I didn't see ur previous post, could you explain ur problem??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/do-i-smell.101166/
Relevancy 43.86%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) M120, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 2812 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200, 336 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 223921 MB, Free - 129686 MB; D: Total - 14248 MB, Free - 2350 MB; E: Total - 99 MB, Free - 95 MB;
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 363F
Antivirus: Computer Security, Updated and Enabled

Hi i recently had the fan changed in my computer and it is making a smell but not really a burning smell. Could the new fan be making the smell or something else? Thank you for any help you can give me.

Relevancy 43.86%
Q: smell

hi i am new here , i wonder if u can help me.i am getting a wierd smell coming from my tower ,could it be a fault plz thx, olliex

A:smell

What does it smell like? Burning?

The situations during which I had burning smells coming from my tower were usually due to a fan with broken bearings or a clump of dust that got stuck in a heatsink.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/smell-154398.html
Relevancy 43.43%

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question so please bear with me. My computer has started to smell... It starts after an hour or so and seems to me that the fan is blowing it out. The strange thing is that when I took the cover off there is so sign of anything wrong and nothin inside the stack has a smell at all. lt was a little dusty that was all and I blew that out. Any ideas as to what could be causing it - if it is something that will cost a lot to replace/repair I will have to try and replace it later on.

Any help will be appreciated - micio

Relevancy 43.43%

Hey guys I m back I posted a while ago about problems with my built comp - http forums techguy org showthread php t amp page amp pp It did in fact turn out to be a power supply problem so I bought a new one from Thermaltake http www newegg com Product Product Weird smell asp Item N E and it ran fine all summer long So today you know regular day I turn on my comp surf the net for a while when all of a sudden the noise from my comp dies down slightly for a second and then goes up A few seconds later I smell burnt rubber So I get freaked out turn it off It smells like burnt rubber sure but nothing s Weird smell wrong with it Weird smell It turns back on voltages are fine Not sure what exactly smells but nothing inside felt overly hot - the CPU was in fact very cool degrees according to BIOS So I m kind of lost now Does this Weird smell happen at all My house is kind of old so sometimes when the AC goes auto-on the power in the outlets drops for half a second you can see the lights dim and stuff so it might ve been that Any clues Also on a sidenote I was playing PES yesterday and my speakers started going staticky as in static noise whenever any sound was made it was weird I have speakers from creative that are like months old but they all started doing it at the same time so it can t be speaker malfunction It s weird cuz I had that problem before with regular crappy speakers It also started happening when I played that game although later it did it when I listened to music and stuff too I did get a new soundcard since then soundblaster live -bit so I m rly confused nbsp

A:Weird smell

Maybe a fan got stuck.. If you have thermal shutdown options in your bios, make sure they are enabled..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/weird-smell.391773/
Relevancy 43.43%

ok- i have been going over a few of the newer posts tonight as always- there are a few people wanting opinions on quot which gaming card quot or quot how much ram quot or quot how s this for my new computer quot i am not picking on anyone don t worry i does overkill? else anyone smell just wanted to bring something to attention and hear the feedback debate that results ok- i have had a number of different computers at my old age of does anyone else smell overkill? and with each computer usually the speed size of each component increases i ll tell you this though- my setup now does anyone else smell overkill? see my sig runs my dsl internet connection my paint shop pro and microsoft Word just as well as the mhz pIII w mb ram and a gig hdd that i owned years ago keep in mind the apps that i just mentioned and note that there are no games of any sort listed there does anyone else see where i m going with this where is the idea coming from that you must spend so much money to have a pc when all you want to use it for is solitare and surfing the net nbsp

Relevancy 43.43%

Right i'm not sure if i had a virus or just software problems.
Here the story, i was look'in for stuff in a bad side of town and got stung. Now spend hours removing it. Everything seem to work ok, but i still feel as thou i've still got something.

pmkjk.dll was one of the files that was removed(used methods shown on this forum)
later appear on anti-virus scan and then was removed by it(avg free)

Can ayone suggest a very setailed way to check i got a virus or others without doing massive head sugery.

Also can someone tell me if PC tool firewall is any good.

p.s got hijack this if required(not a cule how this works require training. Suggests?)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/smell-a-virus.561720/
Relevancy 42.57%

I got my new running build smell???? new build up and running with new build running smell???? no error led lights on motherboard no error post beeps at start up but after about hours of installing Vista clean install and all my programs i can smell new build running smell???? a light metallic or burning smell according to Ai Suite II my cpu and mobo temps are in the low s at idle with cpu going up to low s - s under load I installed a new cpu cooler with new cpu--- can the smell be the cooler paste curing on the cpu heatsink cpu cooler changes from low of rpm s at c to high of rpm s at c that I have seen ASUS P Z V Pro Gen motherboard Intel Sandy Bridge - nd Gen Cpu stock cooler in cpu box from Intel with paste pre-applied Corsair Vengeance DDR PC - GB Ram Thermaltake Black Widow watt Bronze certified PSU I did use my old full size case-- I cant order new case untill next month is smell from new parts beak in period or do I have something wrong nbsp

Relevancy 42.57%

This is kind of an odd question i know But i let my mom borrow one of my pc's and when she returned it i hooked it back up and it makes my whole room smell like ciggerette smoke sense she's a smoker (I know, Stupid to let her borrow it) But now i have no idea on how to get the smell out and i can't stand the smell. Any suggestions?

Relevancy 42.57%

I got a brand new comp a couple of days ago and finally set it up today Everythings working great and fine Except after going downstairs for a drink and coming back to my room I noticed a strange Comp, smell Strange New smell first I thought it was burning plastic kind of smell and tried New Comp, Strange smell to look for its source but couldnt find anything causing it Its not as powerful and bad as burning plastic but computer plasticy smell coming from somewhere I m running a Athlon XP on a Gigabyte KT K Triton I opened the computer up many times and found nothin wrong the system fan was a lil warm and the processer fan metal thing that covers it heat sink I think was a lil hot Found no wires to be burnt smokeing or warm hot Also New Comp, Strange smell when I reboot I see a line of text saying Check Health Status just before it does that loading of numbers and then booting up the HD I went on to health status in BIOS but cant see anything wrong So I cant really see where the problem is I tried looking in bios my cpu temp was C and my system temp was something like C I cant find anything wrong all system working great its just that I have a small bedroom and the smell is quite noticeable Even my year old neice complained of it I m proberbly gonna contact the person I got it off on monday but was wondering if I should really be worried about this or anyone know of anything I can do myself plz help nbsp

Relevancy 42.57%

I just recently built this computer And today while I was playing a game I noticed an odd smell coming from it It was almost like a new plastic smell It is not Smell Coming From Odd Computer a typcial burning smell but then again I ve never smelled anything electrical burning I did get a new video card for christmas but I had been playing games on the computer for days before and Odd Smell Coming From Computer I didn t get any smells from it Anyways here are the specs on my computer Intel D GAG Motherboard Intel Odd Smell Coming From Computer Pentium Ghz Processor ATI RX Mb PCI Express Graphics Card Windows XP Pro Maxtor gig Harddrive - Samsung Memory Sticks Sony CD Burner amp DVD Drive The only fans that I have in the case is the fan in the front of the case one in the side panel and of course the processor fan I took out one fan because I was instructed to do so because it was above the processor fan Any help will be so greatly appreciated I would like to be able to play my games again EDIT The computer continued to work fine after I quit the game - No weird sounds or anything occurred The fans wound back down to normal - etc nbsp Odd Smell Coming From Computer

A:Odd Smell Coming From Computer

Can anyone help me? Maybe my power supply is going out?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/odd-smell-coming-from-computer.313388/
Relevancy 42.57%

I have a UMAX notebook computer with the AMD 3DNow 266 processor. I've been running the computer off AC for sometime now as the battery is dead & I haven't replaced it. When I plugged it in today and turned it on there was a clicking noise and an electrical smell. The computer appeared to be booting up fine. I shut the compter down and removed the cover where the fan is. The fan is not dirty & it is not obstructed. Any ideas as to what this probelm could be & the cheapest solution?

Jane

A:NB fan click/electrical smell

There are lots of wires inside their that could have melted a little to cause the smell... and the click could have been from the hard drive, floppy drive, or even sound card if it has one.

I don't really have an easy solution - there are too many things that it could be. If possible, I would take it to a repair shop where they will have the right tools to test it.
------------------
Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech
5/20 new, unlimited, pay to surf site added
5/21 added interactive story site - it's fun!
http://www.rkfdcore.com/ebaypics/referrals.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/nb-fan-click-electrical-smell.33079/
Relevancy 42.57%

Ok this is weird...I was just sitting here surfing and all of a sudden there is this terrible burning wire smell coming from my processor.....
Could someone help me quick??? please???

Relevancy 42.57%

Hi, I recently built myself a new computer, nothing overly special, Sempron 3400+, nVidia 6600 graphics, my 2 harddrives and dvd burner with a 400W power supply but after 8 hours of running smoothly and cleanly a nasty acrid smell started to come from the PSU(and frankly was making me feel queasy in the lungs!).

The computer seemed to be working just fine(so far) and no really apparant problems, however for the time being I have turned it off.

My best guess is that the PSU is faulty causing an acrid smell like that. As far as I know, the 400W psu should be able to cope with 3 drives, the 6600 and motherboard.

Is this just a matter of getting a new PSU to fix the problem? Or is there other problems I should look out for that can cause either this almost poisonous smell and how do I check for them.

Relevancy 42.57%

Recently purchased used refurb Elitebook 9470m. When laptop is on it emits an odd chemical smell reminiscent of someone with very bad breath. I do not know if there is a way to check processor temps. the fan is running and to the touch the laptop temps seem acceptable. When close to unit there is no smell so I am assuming the laptop fan is emitting this smelly air. This happens both on external power and when on battery. Thanks in advance for any and all advice. 

A:Chemical smell from laptop

Geffois wrote:Recently purchased used refurb Elitebook 9470m. When laptop is on it emits an odd chemical smell reminiscent of someone with very bad breath. I do not know if there is a way to check processor temps. the fan is running and to the touch the laptop temps seem acceptable. When close to unit there is no smell so I am assuming the laptop fan is emitting this smelly air. This happens both on external power and when on battery. Thanks in advance for any and all advice. If you purchased a used notebook it could just be dirty from the previous owner...especially if they had pets or were a smoker.  You could disassemble it to clean it or at least try blowing it out with a can of compressed air.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/Chemical-smell-from-laptop/td-p/5556678
Relevancy 42.57%

I am getting a bad smell from inside my CRT monitor. Can anyone give me suggestions as to possible causes?

A:Getting A Bad Smell From Inside My Monitor

Hi HowdeeDoodee,

If it smells like burning, check out the ventilation holes and try to clean them. Capacitors smells funny sometimes too..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/getting-a-bad-smell-from-inside-my-monitor.927874/
Relevancy 42.57%

Okay it my Is coming this smell normal to for from PC? be so anyone who read my last topic will know that I was planning on getting a new PC Well Is it normal for this smell to be coming from my PC? I have the new PC now It works great beyond great actually but I have concerns about the liquid cooling fan I know it has to be working quite well because even when running a high-resource demanding game on the highest resolution I can put my hand on the top of the PC and it's actually a little bit below room temperature despite the powerful hardware my only concern is that it seems to be creating a bit of a smell It's nothing that smells like burning or anything really bad it's just this smell I guess you could say it smells a little like oil not sure how to describe it specifically I'm just wondering if this is perfectly normal for a new water cooling fan to do and it'll just go away after awhile or if this is something serious

A:Is it normal for this smell to be coming from my PC?

I can't tell you it is serious or not. I really don't know exactly what you are smelling. But, I have had 2 closed loop water coolers in the past and neither smelled. Just check and make sure there are no leaks and that the pump is running 100%. That and noise is about all you can go by. If it is leaking, remove it from the case ASAP and RMA it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/285701-normal-smell-coming-my-pc.html
Relevancy 42.57%

My friend gave me his old IBM Thinkpad 380XD currently running Windows 98. It runs very well (I may even dare to say its faster than my modern laptop), but both the system battery and the clock battery are dead (system battery says 100%, but it dies when I unplug the power cord). Everything is fine, however it reeks of smoke because his mom is a chain smoker. Its one of those rubber textured IBMs, and i'm not sure how I can get rid of the smell.

Thank you,
Computersarecool

Relevancy 42.14%

Hey all I was happily OCing my E on my P B Deluxe I was at but thought I should push it over the mark to be precise All was well unteil about a I S*** no what Oh output. smell, Bang, done... dodgey have min after bootin Oh S*** what have I done... Bang, dodgey smell, no output. up All of a sudden it hung then there was a mildly evil noise - hard to explain but kinda like a harddisk disk halting but louder Then There was a strange smell of perhaps thermal greese eminating from Oh S*** what have I done... Bang, dodgey smell, no output. the case I opened it up to try and find out where it was coming from but my cold stopped taht plan in its tracks So anyway now when I turn on the comp I just get a blank scree the HDD light flickers about a bit like normal the CD drives jingle to the sound of POST but apart from that its dead I urgently need assistance Please any ideas I built the rig myself so don t hold back on insane ideas that envolve ripping the whole system apart if you think it s gonna fix it Thanks Ed nbsp

A:Oh S*** what have I done... Bang, dodgey smell, no output.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/oh-s-what-have-i-done-bang-dodgey-smell-no-output.517124/
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi! Hope someone can answer my question!
A few weeks ago, I started smelling something strange when I turned on my computer, almost like it smells when you light a kerosene lamp. After a little while, it would then seem to go away. Within a week or two of this smell appearing, smoke started billowing out of my monitor.
I immediately shut down the computer and unplugged the monitor. I bought a new one and hooked it up. I've had it for about a week and then suddenly this morning, I got that same smell again.
Could there be something else wrong with my computer, that could cause the monitor to blow out? It seems a bit too coincidental that two monitors (one of them brand new) could have the same problem. Thanks for any help you can give me on this.
A. Partain

A:Blown monitor and weird smell

Make sure you are using the correct driver for your video card, and that the refresh rate is set to Optimal. Check your monitor documentation for the exact settings they recommend or require. If you are smelling smoke, act quickly to resolve this, or you will lose another monitor!

Excerpted from http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/ffmon.htm:

Setting the scan rate of a monitor outside its specified range may overstress components and can result in expensive damage to power supply and deflection components. Whether or not this happens with a given model depends on its design and there is no way to know beforehand which monitors are susceptible. Some monitors will be perfectly happy working beyond their pusblished specs; others will politely shut down with a warning; but all too many will go up in smoke!
The designers of fixed frequency monitors originally designed for specific workstation applications may very likely have taken even less care in dealing with unexpected scan rates as their environment is closed and such treatment isn't expected. Spectacular and expensive failure is quite possible.

It can be very risky to experiment with scan rate settings either because you have no idea of what is valid or to 'explore the envelope'. Either of these could result in expensive repairs. The only hint you may get just before the smoke comes out are unusually poor geometry or instability but it would be foolish to depend on these possible warnings.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blown-monitor-and-weird-smell.71033/
Relevancy 42.14%

I have an old computer that I baught in around 06-07 and I made the rather stupid mistake of installing a usb upside down. After this there was a burnt smell and my computer shut down. I was wondering what went wrong inside the computer and about how much it would cost to fix it. I have been going through computers really fast and I really don't want to buy a new one. Help?

A:Burnt smell after installing USB backward

I would think you burned out the USB connector. If it was on the motherboard, You may have to replace the whole board. If it was on the front of the case. You may get lucky and be able to disconnect it. It is really hard to say what it would cost you till . You try to repair it. It is possible it my have short out other things to. . Well hold on somebody here might be able to help you out more

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/burnt-smell-after-installing-usb-backward.183818/
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi I ve had my power supply for months now and In the past month or two I noticed a smell a smoky smell All my temps In my PC are absolutely normal and nothing is overheating I even got a new case and an gts My power supply is watts The maker is PCMCIS I never heard of that maker before and I bought it at microcenter My Pc crashed In the past but that was due to bad cables bad video card and SATA issues with master and slave but it is running fine now I just want to know if the smell is normal for power supplies after a Supply Solved: Power Smell while or not I have an Intel Pentium Dual core E OCZ Vista Performance DDR PC - gb one gb SATAII hard drive One ATA hard drive DVD burners as I mentioned an gts and that is it My average temp for my gts is - degrees fahrenheit Idle Under load is about On hot days It goes up to degrees My Solved: Power Supply Smell CPU always runs low Idle It runs degrees to Under load It runs - either it is hot or cold outside My hard drive runs between and degrees also If my psu dies what is the best brand to get Is Coolmax good Antec Thermaltake Coolermaster Enermax Topower OCZ BFG Kingwin Eagle Tech nbsp

Relevancy 42.14%

Since I installed 7, I've noticed my computer is starting to smell hot like a toaster. I'm starting to become concerned. I've checked all my fans and temps using speedfan. My CPU temps are all way below danger levels(hottest core seems to max around 40), my GPU runs kinda hot at default fan speed, but using rivatuner I've turned up the fan to %50 to keep it cooler. It was running at 73 at stock fan speed, but it drops to 53 at 50%. Hard drives all below thirty.. Everything seems to check out, but I keep getting this smell.

Upon visual inspection I don't see any smoke, any burn marks, any signs of a problem. I suppose some dust could be getting burned up somewhere, but I can't tell. Is it possible win7 is just running my system hotter?

A:system is starting to smell like a toaster.

I have never heard of Win7 running the system hotter...I would also suspect that you have a dust buildup. Grab yourself some canned air...take the panel of the tower and blow it out (especially the fans)

Hopefully that will make a difference

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/32193-system-starting-smell-like-toaster.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Today I installed a new power supply in my -year-old AMD Sempron computer after the old p s died The new one Smell Power Is Toxic? New Supply is exactly like the old one except it has a -watt capacity as opposed to -watt on the old one Both Is New Power Supply Smell Toxic? the computer and the new p s came from Fry s Electronics After running the computer for a bit I started noticing that quot new electronics quot smell which is supposedly quot normal quot but I have one concern Could that smell be toxic especially to my two cats I remember reading a long time ago about toxic fumes coming from new carpeting so now I m worried I opened a window near the computer but it s COLD outside Keeping the cats out of this room isn t an option I live in a small apartment so do I need to keep the window open for their safety and or mine Or am I just being overly paranoid Is New Power Supply Smell Toxic? Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 42.14%

It was suggested I begin a new thread An office user s computer was having some freezing and other trouble This morning it gave off a burning smell and began squealing like a stuck pig I turned it off and came to y all Details HP Pavilion XL Win ME version Build ghtz mb RAM avail in Squealing Dead & bad HP part? my smell phys mem mb gb HD System type x -based PC AMD Athlon Proc AuthenticAMD mhz BIOS - EPP revision No problem devices listed in Components CDRom Dead part? Squealing & bad smell in my HP - IDE-CD R RW x x Manufacturer - standard CD-Rom device Status - Unknown History of problem In past two weeks during normal use Dead part? Squealing & bad smell in my HP with minimal applications running CDR will start clicking sometimes opening on its own and then the computer freezes I removed DirectCD amp RealPlayer from startup tab but that did not help Upon reboot CDR drive will click as the light comes on prior to Windows loading Sometimes everything loads fine sometimes everything will be frozen once Windows loads forcing a hard shutdown It was suggested I remove the CDR from device manager amp reboot so Windows could redetect which I did yesterday This morning there was another freeze and an hour later the wailing pig noise amp burning vacuum belt smell I turned the computer back on a few minutes ago and it loaded fine What died What do I do nbsp

Relevancy 42.14%

All of a sudden my desktop started having a hot smell coming from it and I can not hear the fan running. How can clean it out inside without having to take it some place. Will having an external(regular household fan) help?

A:Hot smell coming from desktop, can't hear fan run

If you SMELL something HOT you are having an OVERHEATING problem. First things first take a can of compressed AIR (available even at walmart for like 5 bucks) Nd blow out the ENTIRE case making sure to completely clean out the fan on the CPU and the case fans. Make sure your heatsink is properly secured to the CPU. Get all dirt and debris out from the case as well. Have you been able to determine WHERE the smell is coming from? The HD, CPU, PSU?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hot-smell-coming-from-desktop-cant-hear-fan-run.1101033/
Relevancy 41.71%

My PSU is a CoolerMaster GX750W, it's only 1 1/2 years old. When I first bought it made this sometimes soft sometimes loud electrical buzzing sound, It was definitely coming from the PSU. Now my PSU is dead, tried to turn my com back on but no response. Have you guys experienced this situation before? And if so, was your mobo,cpu,gpu etc fried or was it okay?

A:PSU made loud pop sound and burnt smell

THANK GOD, I used my old psu to test the mobo and cpu, it powered up and made some beeping sounds. Then I tested my HDD on my other computer, it reached the 'starting windows' and got a BSOD, is my HDD damaged? I've checked the BIOS and it detected the hdd, but I'm not sure whether my data is still intact.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/psu-made-loud-pop-sound-and-burnt-smell.1044589/
Relevancy 41.71%

There is a weird chemical smell coming out of my laptop since a few days,i don't know why.The first time i smelled it i turned off my computer as fast as i could,i never touched it since 4 four days,the smell decreased by time.I really fear using my laptop now. When i turned it on last time,everything just worked fine,beside the smell of course.My laptop is a Pavilion x360 Red,i don't know the entire name but if this helps then it's fine.I would start to move everything to my home computer after i got the answer. I hope this smell doesn't affect the hard drive and disk drive inside my laptop and that i don't loose anything important.Thanks for answering!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Weird-Chemical-Smell-coming-out-of-my-laptop/td-p/5684970
Relevancy 41.71%

I recently put together a computer after buy all the parts. I noticed that there was a weird smell, like burning plastic. The case that I'm using is a Thermaltake v9 Black and the power supply is a Corsair TX750W. I tested each fan individually to see which fan was producing the smell with only the power supply, using a paper clip, and it seemed that all 4 fans are producing the smell. Is this just a burn-in period for the fan that is creating the smell? Or is it that the fan is starting to burn out, even though it's completely new, like fresh out the box new.

Relevancy 41.71%

My post may be a little long but please take the time to read it as I am without a computer at a crucial time and I m not sure if working on it may be a safety risk I bought some new components for my computer this week new case DVD burner card reader The initial install went off without a hitch minus some connection issues with the front Help Maybe Faint Computer Please Booting Not Smell, Up, Unsafe, :( panel audio usb Computer Not Booting Up, Faint Smell, Maybe Unsafe, Please Help :( firewire jacks but I ll get into that in a less urgent post My first boot after I installed my Western digital HD drivers I had reformatted before I changed cases I was prompted to put in my OS CD and reboot when I was about to open the CD ROM the computer rebooted itself and went into a state of nothingness it wouldn t boot up the power LED was lit the HD LED was lit and solid both the power button and the reset button were unresponsive I didn t hear any of the usual sounds not even the hard drive nothing was on the monitor and after about secs the monitor went into power saving mode like it does when you turn off the PC The only thing that was going on was the fan over the processor was running and the LEDs were on When I unplugged the power the oly way to turn it off at this point and plugged it back in after a min I got the same result finally I reset the CMOS this worked I went on my way to installing Win and then WinXP w SP and checking to make sure all my USB ports and reader ports were working this was about hours and everything was successful minus one of the usb ports At that point I opened it back up to make sure the usb connectors for the front panel were working and to change the speaker connector that connects to the same pins as the reset and power buttons I wasn t sure if it was correct when I put the computer back on the ground after wards it started by itself my hand was no where near the power button and again I had the state of nothingness this time reseting the CMOS didn t help I then went to a different socket in the different room same result It was at this point I noticed that the back of the power supply had a burning smell the best way I can explain it is the smell older electric trains gave off At this point I wasn t sure if this was normal or not because my face is usually not right behind my tower I decided to turn it on and let it run for - min to see if it would eventually boot up while I was in another room When I came back I could smell that burning smell faintly from feet away at this point I knew it wasn t normal When I got to the PC it was off and I cant get it to turn back on pressing the power button does nothing I have no idea what happened yes the power button on the PS is on and I check all the power connections my PS is w and I have been using it for months The only hardware changes I did was taking out a CD burner and DVD drive to put in a DVD burner adding the media card reader changing cases and adding a usb firewire expansion card Any explanation to any of this or any kind of helpful input would be greatly appreciated My computer Soyo Dragon Plus AMD XP Nvidia gt mg gig HD NEC DVD Burner gig RAM w Power supply nbsp

A:Computer Not Booting Up, Faint Smell, Maybe Unsafe, Please Help :(

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-not-booting-up-faint-smell-maybe-unsafe-please-help.451398/
Relevancy 41.28%

Got a CyberPower CP1000AVRLCD Intelligent LCD Series UPS 1000VA 600W AVR Mini-Tower that seems to be working fine. But every now and then it gives off some kind of plastic smell. It had this smell when I first took it out of the box and the smell seems to emit every now and then while it's on.

I've touched it to see if it was hot, but it feels quite cool. So it doesn't seem to be overheating or anything.

A:New UPS (Uninterupted Power Supply) emitting a plastic smell?

Could just be the plastic heating up internally for the first time and will go away in a few days, unless you see fluid or it gets very hot (as in overcharging of the batteries) your probably fine.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/359231-new-ups-uninterupted-power-supply-emitting-plastic-smell.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Hey everyone - been a while since I posted - but I read quite often My problem is this A while back I used a Belkin KVM switch to connect my regular dekstop Dell Dimension - WinXP Pro to a second CPU same brand and model The problem arrose when I left for the weekend and returned on Monday to hear a Keyboard smell & Solved: PS2 Mouse Plugs 'funny' loud screetching noise coming from my office The noise was some type of alarm on the KVM and it had that funny electronic burnt smell coming from somewhere I unplugged it from my primary computer and it kept going off then stopped when I unplugged it from CPU I narrowed down the smell to the KVM switch itself and also the back of CPU Because of my work schedule I just recently explored connecting them together again but when I plugged the KVM into CPU the alarm immediately sounded So - I plugged my keyboard and mouse both ps directly into CPU and they do not work The smell is pretty much gone now but I summize that the ports in the CPU are burned out Is there any way to replace them Machine boots fine and all that but because I cannot control the mouse or get Solved: PS2 Keyboard & Mouse Plugs smell 'funny' any key functions I cannot run Solved: PS2 Keyboard & Mouse Plugs smell 'funny' any utilities Solved: PS2 Keyboard & Mouse Plugs smell 'funny' to test them Any suggestions would be appreciated JR nbsp

Relevancy 40.85%

Hello, I've left my computer on for a week as I host a server for a few friends.
I could not restart it as I was away from home,and was monitoring my computer with TeamViewer.
However when I come home my computer smells weird, so I inspect it and find out that the water cooling pump for my cpu is not working and it is the source of the smell.

My computer is still able to work normally, and the smell seems to disappear when I turn off my watercooling system. However I don't want to do anything that I shouldn't and break my computer. I suspect that it is a burnt wire with the pump's power supply, but that's it. Please help.

A:Water cooling pump not spinning, weird smell coming from it when on.

ToxicFyre,
Sorry to hear this and maybe complete spec's on the cooling system with some detail pictures would help. I would start with the fluid quality, reservoir and pump. It sounds like you need to change out the pump and retest the system for air and torture test it for cooling. With luck it's just the fluid smelling from over heating and not a burned up mobo. I would open the back up and look very closely for any odd discolorations and sniff the board as well then move to the front and remove the cards and with a bright light look for the same discolorations and odor from the board.

http://www.sevenforums.com/pc-custom-builds-overclocking/285053-water-cooling-pump-not-spinning-weird-smell-coming-when.html
Relevancy 40.85%

I just wiped my girlfriends lappy, and re-installed vista, i poped in the drivers disc and installed ethernet controller and WLAN,
But the wifi just wont work, i went to to the dell site, and downloaded, more drivers, but it still wont work!!

HELP!!!!! I dont know wat to do here.

Thanks in advance.

NEB.

Relevancy 40.85%

Today I was at work when PSU failure. dying, Clicking smell right? burnt + + sound USB is My plastic my brother told me that my PC Clicking sound + burnt plastic smell + USB failure. My PSU is dying, right? froze up while he was using it and he was unable to restart it Later when I came home I tried to turn it on It was dead so I tried to disconnect and reconnect the PC Didn t work either so I tried replugging my HDD Worked great I put on a Porcupine Tree DVD and listen to it while I cook myself some food on the kitchen Clicking sound + burnt plastic smell + USB failure. My PSU is dying, right? I noticed two times that the music froze for a second but didn t pay attention Clicking sound + burnt plastic smell + USB failure. My PSU is dying, right? After I go back to my room I find an unpleasant surprise A noticeable amount of burnt plastic smell I download Everest fire it up and check out my components temperature Nothing abnormal Suddenly I start hearing that horrid clicking sound that each one of us fears Click PC sound intensity lowers for some moments then goes back to normal Click and again the spinning sound of my HDD or maybe the coolers lowers itself for a moment and goes back to normal Click my USB external drive stops working and is again recognized by windows Click the DVD freezes up again Click CPU performance is crawling and the burnt plastic smell intensifies Click I can move the mouse but my PC doesn t respond to anything That s when I turn off the PC and fire up tech guy after googling for a while So the clicking sound in addition to the fact that replugging my HDD fixed the power issue leads me to believe that my HDD is dying However the normal temperatures with a burnt smell in addition to my USB ports malfunctioning stray me away from HDD related issues Any idea about what could be the issue From what I read it sounds like my PSU is failing I d enjoy some more insight before wasting money on a new PSU nbsp

A:Clicking sound + burnt plastic smell + USB failure. My PSU is dying, right?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/clicking-sound-burnt-plastic-smell-usb-failure-my-psu-is-dying-right.978451/
Relevancy 39.56%

I bought a Dell Inspiron laptop new in Italy in the close burning the and keeps DVDs drive the fails windows burning spinnin When but December from a major computer store The computer came installed with Windows Home Premium Italian and I have installed on it an original version of Microsoft Office When burning DVDs the windows close and the burning fails but the drive keeps spinnin XP Professional Edition English The CD-ROM unit is a Matsushita DVD -RW UJ Since I bought the computer I have sometimes had difficulty burning DVDs with the When burning DVDs the windows close and the burning fails but the drive keeps spinnin built-in Windows burner function that I access from Explorer Often in the past I have ended up with partially written DVDs Nevertheless by using high-quality DVDs I have been able to burn DVDs successfully most of the time using the Windows utility I last used the utility successfully a couple of months ago when I burned a couple of DVDs to backup some photos Since yesterday I have been trying to backup my most important files onto DVDs The attempt has failed in every case First I copy about GB of files from drive C onto drive D in Explorer These are several hundred files divided into three different directories consisting mostly of PDF Word Excel and JPG files some of them with names in foreign scripts like Cyrillic Japanese or Chinese Then I insert a new DVD either Verbatim or TDK and attempt to master the DVD by selecting the option write to disk from the Explorer menu whether from When burning DVDs the windows close and the burning fails but the drive keeps spinnin the menus at the top of the screen or by right-clicking on drive D in the lefthand pane of the screen A window pops up asking me for the name of the disk whether I want it to be flash or one-time only and the recording speed x x x etc Once I click continue to start burning the DVD a window pops up to tell me that Windows is making an image of the disk and then the window tells me that it has begun mastering the disk giving me a countdown of how many minutes are left minutes to minutes depending on the speed I choose But no matter what name I give to the disk and what recording speed I pick after - seconds the popup window and the Explorer window both suddenly close and the DVD unit s writing light goes out but the DVD unit continues to whir at high speed forever Here are the results I got yesterday with separate DVDs On the first DVD I used Windows s burn utility on a Verbatim DVD and I ended up with files burned onto the DVD making it unusable On the second try I used some simple burn software that I had used before Roxio Burn on a TDK DVD and ended up with files burned onto the disk but from different folders than the files burned by Windows On my third attempt after going offline shutting down my antivirus software AVG and using Task Manager to shut down processes from that other burn software Roxio Burn I used Windows s burn utility again on a TDK DVD and ended up with the identical files that had I ended up with the first time though this time I had chosen a lower writing speed In all three of these attempts the DVD unit continued to whir after the windows had closed until such time as I ejected the disk manually When I first encountered this problem yesterday I thought the problem might be caused by my antivirus software AVG Free Edition interfering with the writing process because after one particular automatic update by AVG about two months ago I began having problems with AVG blocking Skype and placing some of my Nokia cell phone software in quarantine But by disabling the HIPS element of AVG I was able to resolve those problems several weeks ago and begin using Skype successfully again But just to be sure today I disinstalled AVG completely and installed Microsoft Security Essentials Because I had read in a forum online that Windows might have conflicts with other burning software that was also installed today I also disinstalled the o... Read more

A:When burning DVDs the windows close and the burning fails but the drive keeps spinnin

My guess would be theres something wrong with the dvd drive.I also have the same computer.Either the laser in it is shot or needs cleaned or the whole drive has failed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/when-burning-dvds-the-windows-close-and-the-burning-fails-but-the-drive-keeps-spinnin.1027134/
Relevancy 39.56%

Nero Burning ROM crashed during burning and now my DVD drive is unusable. I cannot open the drive, I cannot shut down the computer because it says "Waiting for DVD Drive D:" and the drive runs like it is still burning despite the program doing the burning is no longer open. It isn't even in any process. What can I do to make the drive stop?

A:Nero Burning ROM crashing caused perpetual burning from DVD Drive

Go to Task Manager...shut the system down from there.

Turn system off....hard shutdown if necessary...disconnect the optical drive.

Sounds to me like it's a hardware problem moreso than a software problem if you cannot manually open the drive.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/601018/nero-burning-rom-crashing-caused-perpetual-burning-from-dvd-drive/
Relevancy 39.13%

some nero burning user veteran??problem burning cdr ,dvdrs.i cant burn a cdr.with windows media player is posible.also i use clone dvd with sucess. with nero is posible to erase a cdr-w.the problem is i cant record a cdr.when it comes to 3% to 8% the program tell "the burn failed"some advice?thanks for the attention

A:some nero burning user veteran??problem burning...

I am a "Nero Veteran", war veteran, etc.. etc.. The reason your having problems is simple. Some discs cannot be copied, as they may be copy protected or contain errors. If you are unsure if your disc can be copied,
run a trial in the "simulation" mode. Click on "More" at the bottom of the page and select "Simulation".

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/some-nero-burning-user-veteran-problem-burning.234868/
Relevancy 38.27%

Hi

I would be gratefull for help, just a week or two my inside and outside (USB) recorders started to work extremly slow.
Using Nero 14 i can see the real recording speed 800 - 1 500 kB/s when using 16x (22 160 kB/S). My usb samsung blu-ray recorder also work very slow - data fo 25 Gb disc takes about 4 hours.
It is a new machine, 16 Gb RAM, 3770K on board so it is a fast one but recording...
I tried deinstaling IDE i decice manager.
I tried Ashampoo, CDburnerXP - all the same.
During recording HDD 0 (c shows 1% usage.
No software in background - just Kaspersky

DVD and Blu-ray have no errors - veryfication ok, surface test also - only very slow.
Tested media: TDK, Sony, Panasonic (all 16x for dvd and 6x for blu-ray)

Please help

A:DVD-R burning more then 1 hour! Super slow Burning DVD-R

Look in Device Manager. Right click on the burners and see if DMA is enabled. Usually when super slow kicks in it's because somehow this setting gets changed to disabled.

Turn Direct Memory Access (DMA) on or off - Microsoft Windows Help

The instructions are for Windows 7 but once you get to Device Manager I'd bet it's the same.

In W8 the quick way to Device Manager is hit Winkey-x then m.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/37343-dvd-r-burning-more-then-1-hour-super-slow-burning-dvd-r.html
Relevancy 38.27%

When I burn cd/dvds with Windows 7 built in burning software and windows media player all my burns are successful. When I try to use Nero, CD Burner XP or imgburn, it fails. My computer is plenty fast enough(2.8ghz, 4gb ddr2, 250gb sata hd) and I tried reinstalling windows 7 without nero or deamon tools and tested with CD Burner XP, it still failed. I am using Sony blank CD's and also tried a few other name brand. I am burning at the lowest speeds. I purchased a brand new dvd burner and the firmware is up to date. The error I am getting is "Could not write to Disc". It fails randomly anywhere from 3%-30%. Any ideas? Again, windows 7 native burning works fine but other software does not. Same pc, same blanks, same burner, same hardware just different software. Any Ideas at all?

A:Windows 7 Native Burning OK, other burning apps NOT OK

Chipset driver?

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/29663-windows-7-native-burning-ok-other-burning-apps-not-ok.html
Relevancy 36.98%

Have been burning CDs through Windows Media Player forever; no problems. Suddenly, when I choose 'Burn CD', nothing happens. No error messages.

BUT, when I choose a previous playlist to burn, it works. The non-burn problem seems limited to only recently downloaded music playlists. These same playlists do play on my computer, so they're obviously recorded and working.

Thoughts??

Susan

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-burning-some-playlists-arent-burning.439565/
Relevancy 36.98%

Bottom left corner of Spectre x360 is BURNING HOT !!! There are many other messages on this forum describing the same problem but HP SUPPORT IS NOT ANSWERING THE QUESTION !!! HP SUPPORT, PLEASE DO NOT JUST POST A BOILER-PLATE PRE-WRITTEN ANSWER TO THIS. In other messages on this forum, multiple replacements of Spectre x360 ALL HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. Is HP going to fix the problem and do a recall, or what? How do we know that HP is aware of and working on this problem?

A:BURNING HOT Spectre x360 BURNING HOT

@ImTheMom?

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/BURNING-HOT-Spectre-x360-BURNING-HOT/td-p/5258144
Relevancy 36.98%

I have a Compaq Presario SR5710Y with AMD Athalon x2 4450e dual core processors, 3gb memory and 350gb hard drive. My CD-DVD burner is (this is what it says in device manager)
ATAPI DVD A DH16A6L-C SCSI cd rom device.
I have been burning my dvds with convert x to dvd with no problems up until this . Every time I go to burn a DVD it will convert but when it burns it is taking so long (I usually burn at 6x) I did a speed test and it said it was burning at .05%. It would probably take 5 hours to burn a normal movie,Anyone know why this may be happening? Thanks in advance

A:My dvd burner has slowed was burning at 6x now burning at .05%

If you are converting to a format readable by a dvd player they burner will burn very slowly depending on the source file. Now does you cpu max out when burning?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-dvd-burner-has-slowed-was-burning-at-6x-now-burning-at-05.125659/
Relevancy 36.98%

My OS is windows xp home SP my system is Gateway Select with GH AMD Athlon processor MB RAM GB hard drive with GB free NEC DV- A DVD CD ROM internal drive and IDE CD R RW x x internal drive When I write on a CD using xp s built in Cd writing utility I CD burning Wxp's cd burning with utility builtin cannot read the newly written data in the RW drive but can read it in the DVD drive and can also read it in the CD RW drive after I reboot the computer Another inexplainable feature is that when I look at the properties of a CD that has been written in the RW drove in Windows explorer used space shown is only the space used by files in the root directory and not by all the files I have two questions Is this inability to read newly written data in the RW drive without rebooting the computer a feature of Windows XP or of the CD writing utility CD burning with Wxp's builtin cd burning utility that is built in the OS If it is a feature of the OS is there a fix that would enable the data to be read after being written without a reboot Does Easy Media Creator Basic CD burning with Wxp's builtin cd burning utility by Roxio have a feature that enables newly written data to be read without reboot Thanks Preet nbsp

A:CD burning with Wxp's builtin cd burning utility

i use roxio cd creater 5 and yes it reads the disk without reboot - even though i have xp on a few machines with cdrw never used the built in facility

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-burning-with-wxps-builtin-cd-burning-utility.401978/
Relevancy 36.98%

Ok, i'm new to this CD Burning. I have Nero Express, and i'm having a little problem with it.

I've copied an Audio CD to a CD-R, and it plays fine, but there are still space on it, and i wanted to put a MP3 (it converts to CDA really nice also) together with the already burned tracks, but i can't. Everytime i put the same CD, i get the folloqing message:

"This midia cannot be recorded
Please Insert another midia."

(Sorry if it's not right, cuz i translated from portuguese)

Can i do what i want?? How??

Sorry if it is hard to understand, it is hard to explain.

Thank you

A:Audio CD Burning with Nero Burning Rom

You cannot append any audio files to an disc that has been completed. Once a disc is completed it cannot access the remaining space. Especially with Nero Express. Once a disc is burned it is "closed (finalized)."

This is just a simple explanation.

I believe Roxio's Easy cd creator lets you add files to your disc as long as you don't "finalize" it. Until you finalize it you will not be able to listen to the music.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/audio-cd-burning-with-nero-burning-rom.155018/
Relevancy 36.12%

Hello I am currently wanting to begin the process of upgrading various parts of my computer in the upcoming months The first item I would like to do upgrade is the RAM I am currently using BG x and would like to Time Solved: Upgrading Hardware - Upgrading First double that I was thinking of going with the Corsair Vengeance x Eventually I would like Solved: Upgrading Hardware - First Time Upgrading to have a pretty sick gaming computer As of right now it can handle a lot but can struggle from time to time if I crank up the graphic settings I guess the reason I am posting this is to ask a few questions Would upgrading RAM be a good starting point if wanting to upgrade other hardware as well I was thinking of also swapping out the video card cpu and adding some fans when I get money that is I must sound like a complete novice right now lol but I am ready to finally go through with this because my computer is starting to feel like it is getting behind the times in terms of speed and performance haha Anyway any insight into this topic and or first time upgrading specifically with the RAM would be grrreat Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 36.12%

I've managed to upgrade some of my home PC's from Win or Win to Wn without any significant problems but I am having major difficulty upgrading one of my PC's It is running Win Home -bit and when I originally ran the Windows upgrade advisor it indicated that I could not upgrade as my NVidia GEForce graphics card was incompatible with Windows I tried various workarounds using suggestions on this and other sites to upgrade with the GEForce card but none were successful So I purchased and to 10 upgrading card graphics Win after Upgrading - incompatible installed a new graphics card - an AMD Radeon R which should be Win compatible Upgrading to Win 10 - after upgrading incompatible graphics card I then re-ran the Win upgrade advisor - it still said that I couldn't upgrade as the quot GeForce card quot was incompatible - even though it was no longer installed I checked the Upgrading to Win 10 - after upgrading incompatible graphics card Device Manager and the graphics card was clearly showing as being the AMD card I then explicitly uninstalled any NVidia drivers software using the Control Panel Program uninstall - still unable to upgrade to Win I also ran the Wagnard tools quot Display driver uninstaller quot and removed any NVidia software drivers - still unable to upgrade I am using the latest drivers from the AMD website I also tried to upgrade using the Media Creation tool and a Win image from DVD previously this also failed to work and gave the incompatible graphics card error this seemed to work up to a point but after a reboot it wanted me to select a keyboard layout but neither my usb keyboard nor mouse would function and the installation froze On rebooting the OS reverted to Win and the keyboard mouse worked ok I want to upgarde to Win rather than do a fresh install but am now unsure what to do - I keep getting the quot Incompatible GEForce graphics card quot message anytime I run the Win advisor tool even after downloading it again from the MS website Any suggestions as to how I can resolve this issue and finally upgrade

A:Upgrading to Win 10 - after upgrading incompatible graphics card

Windows 10 no longer supports NVIDIA 6-Series Graphics Cards anymore as of Windows 8

Hint : Install drivers manually through device manager (it may or may not work)

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/40228-upgrading-win-10-after-upgrading-incompatible-graphics-card.html
Relevancy 34.4%

Hi,

I bought Windows 7 having come from Vista. However, there is a BIOS update for my system. The new BIOS update states: The BIOS updates the fan control algorithm of the system, and turns the fan on at low volume while your notebook PC is operational. If you are currently experiencing any symptoms on your notebook PC, please contact HP for support. It is located here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...340180&lang=en

I'd love to flash it but not sure if it will ruin my computer as it's more than likely not designed for flash when Windows 7 is on it or do you's know any better?

I also have 2 blue vertical lines going do the right hand side of the screen. I've seen loads of problems but no solutions. Has any fixed this HP problem?

Cheers folks!

A:Upgrading BIOS after Upgrading from Vista to 7

The BIOS is the stuff that happens BEFORE Windows starts to load.
Do you have issues with overheating or with the fan? If so, the BIOS update is for you.
Also, BIOS flashes are dangerous - and you can turn your computer into a paperweight by doing it incorrectly. In short, if it ain't broke - don't fix it!

The type of lines that you describe on your screen are usually caused by hardware issues. Send it in for repair if the system is under warranty. If not, then get an estimate from a local computer store - it may be cheaper to live with it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/upgrading-bios-after-upgrading-from-vista-to-7-a-451070.html
Relevancy 33.97%

I used my 3rd CD Burner and I put my music files onto the CD-RW. Everytime I finish the disc is ejected and CD Writing Wizard comes on and says I have to finish writing the disc. I put the disc back in and it says it doesn't have enough free space when it does! I see the files inside the CD-RW and I can play it but I have to change them into Windows Media Files. I plays fine too! But when I put it in a BoomBox it keeps saying no disc! I have no idea what's going on!
Richard

A:Solved: Burning, Burning, Nothing!

It sounds to me as if you put too many files on the disk and there was not enough room for it to complete the lead out etc remove a couple of files and see if it completes ok ....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-burning-burning-nothing.337148/
Relevancy 33.97%

Hi to all,
Here's a strange one, I've just re-formatted my hard drive and re-installed xp ( not the first time, I prefer this to restore ) anyway I've tried to burn three music disc's using new blank cd-r's. I go through all the motions ( using nero 5.5 ) I do my compilation as normal, hit burn and nero " burns " the disc. When I try and play the disk on my walkman I can skip through the track numbers but get no sound. When I check it out on my pc in my computer it says Free space 0 bytes, Total size 0 bytes. I am sure this is not a hardware problem so what else could it be ?

I've been recording sucessfully with the same set up and software in the past, any suggestions welcome and appreciated.

TIA

Relevancy 33.97%

I am running Windows 98SE.
I download from Kazaa V2.1
About three weeks ago I had to reinstall Windows.
Since then I am not able to burn anything from Kazaa.
In the past I had no problems burning anything from Kazaa.
I can burn from CD to CD.
It goes through the motion of burning, it shows up that there are tracks on the disc, but when I play it back - there is no sound.

I burned an entire music CD and replayed it with no problems. Is it Kazaa or something else. Are there properties I should be checking... HELP!!!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-burning-is-burning-me-up.130939/
Relevancy 33.97%

Hi,
I am running Windows XP Professional.
I have just started getting problems burning DVD's. I have the same problem with Clone DVD2 and also DVD Shrink 3.2.
While copying it can freeze anywhere between 9% and 50%.
I have actually burnt two or three discs but then the fault returns.
Up until now it has been fine.
Any ideas?
Thank you in advance.
Mark.

Relevancy 27.52%

I have windows XP on a computer but i need to reformat my hard drive, buti lost the XP disk so is there anyway to burn xp to a disk

A:Burning XP

Call Microsoft, tell them you lost your disk, they might be able to send you another if you can prove to them you bought it. If its a store bought comp without a official XP install disk then you will have to call the manufacturer of the computer and ask for restore disks for your model comp.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/burning-xp.19982/
Relevancy 27.52%

What program can I use to burn .VOB files to a disk to watch on a regular dvd? becuase the DVD Maker that Windows 7 has doesnt work for me.

A:Burning .VOB

Is it possible to burn .VOB files using Windows DVD Maker?

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/102129-burning-vob.html
Relevancy 27.52%

I recently purchased a new Dell PC with a Samsung CD-R/RW SW 240-B. The read/write speed is 40x max.

I was given a spool of blank CDs. I'd like to try and burn some pre-recorded CDs onto them. They have an 80-minute length and hold 700 MB. May I use them?

Thanks,
Joy

[BTW...my earlier post regarding CD-R vs CD-RW was written on behalf of my sister... ]

A:Burning CDs

joyt
They should work in the new unit but look at the maximum burn speed of the given CD's and make sure you lower the burn rate in your software to <= less than or equal to the maximum burn speed of the given CD's.

Dave

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/burning-cds.99269/