Windows Support Forum

Laptop screen failure; random colors followed by black screen

Q: Laptop screen failure; random colors followed by black screen

I recently did a factory restore on my laptop since it was giving me really bad problems before BSOD on boot unable to start in safe mode etc I assumed that black failure; Laptop followed random by screen colors screen it was caused by a bad video driver installation Once I did my factory restore this problem was solved but it seems like a new one arose In the first few days the laptop was working fine but I recently realised that if I unplug my AC Laptop screen failure; random colors followed by black screen Adapter my laptop would work for awhile but will eventually die The screen would just go black then I would see weird colors and then it would go black again and I would be forced to hold the power button and restart The funny thing is this never happens when I have it plugged in I then realised that it happened when I plugged it out and moved it around so I assumed it had something to do with the wiring inside my laptop But it seems that isn t the case since even if I move it around while it s plugged in it doesn t happen I m pretty sure it has something to do with my power supply at this point but I m not really sure If anyone can help I would really appreciate it EDIT It just happened to me as I tried to access my task manager I did CTLR ALT DEL and my screen went black and my laptop simply restarted itself nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Laptop screen failure; random colors followed by black screen

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Laptop screen failure; random colors followed by black screen

EDIT: It seems it has gotten way worse. It happened while it was plugged in, and not only that, but when I tried to turn on my laptop again, the screen remained black and I heard these beeping noises. (6 beeps in succession, over and over) Sometimes I turned it on and it didn't even beep. I managed to actually get my laptop to boot, but I'm afraid it will happen again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-screen-failure-random-colors-followed-by-black-screen.185547/
Relevancy 93.74%

When I start windows normally, it get color distortion like this http://puu.sh/NXuz
And then it black screens. In safe mode everything is okay. The things that use same resources http://puu.sh/NXtn
Here is cbs log ( i can't read it)
http://www.mediafire.com/?6hrb8t0qhkdmbbr

Thanks for any help
I repeat, in safe mode it works normal, so i suspect driver clash.

A:Windows 7 Colors distortion and black screen upon welcome screen (pictures and logs)

Update or reinstall the video drivers.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-colors-distortion-and-black-screen-upon-welcome-screen-pictures-and-logs.1063554/
Relevancy 92.02%

Hello all I have a problem obviously with my computer This computer is a new rig a display random after after drive logo, failure boot screen Black and even though i've been having Blue screens of Death at the beginning fixed thanks to this forum everything's been running perfectly Here are the specs to my computer running Windows Pro MOBO Asus p z -V Black screen after boot logo, after a random display drive failure PRO CPU Intel i- k RAM x gb cl Gskill Ripjaw i had but one of them was faulty so it was removed SSD Samsung gb OS Windows pro x HDD WD Caviar Black tb Heatsink Noctua NH-D PSU Antec HCP gold GPU MSI Radeon Twin FROZR i have a spare GeForce GT which i will get into details later My monitor is a Xstar quot p It has been running on overclock from hz to hz without any problems Now to the problem I've been having MAJOR problems with my WiFi The wifi adapter is the intergrated one from the Mobo WiFi Go which only has ghz So i was trying to find out how i could make my computer compatible with ghz I moved the case and i think the Dual DVI cable on the graphic card might have pulled just a bit and i see a popup on my monitor at the bottom right corner saying quot Display Driver has failed but recovered quot or something very similar Next thing i know my peripherals dont work anymore Screen seems frozen but i dont know for SURE that it was frozen might be just my peripherals that stopped working because i can't remember if there was an animated image still moving or not in one of the opened windows it's all very blurry at this point From what I know and what I can see with verifications made later on i don't think any updates have been done and no drivers were updated So I hard reset my computer and whadda ya know Windows logo shows and right after when i'm supposed to get the logon screen the monitor just turns black So i reset a couple of times and every time is the exact same problem The screen just goes black after the boot sequence Heres what i tried - Tried restoring from a restore point Didn't work - Tried in safe mode Computer boots up and works - - Tried uninstalling graphics drivers OK - - Tried reinstalling the drivers but the card was not recognized and the only way to get the drivers for my card is with an auto-detect from AMD So that didn't work - - When reebooting the computer screen goes black again - Tried reseating my card Didn't work - Tried the second DVI slot on my card Didn't work - Tried taking out the card and plugging a second monitor p because the korean one was not compatible with the iGPU to the intergrated gpu The computer boots up fine - I call ASUS customer support I explain the situation and the guy tells me to RMA my graphics card Which i do and I send it away Now I could've stopped there but since i JUST got into my weeks vacation from work and wanted to use a bit of that time to play a few games on the computer I tried running them with the iGPU As expected it it was barely acceptable for a low-end graphics game I then remembered I had another GPU GeForce GT in an older computer I gave to my girlfriend for her work Knowing it wasnt gonna be much improvement I still decided to try it out So i plug it in connect my p monitor to it And then that's when I realized that the GPU i sent back for RMA was NOT the problem Because it did the exact same thing for this GPU So i tried reinstalling the drivers for the Gefore which this time the install worked because it's not an autodetect but the problem was not solved Still a black screen I try to look around in forums some more and I can't seem to find anything that is like my situation I read somewhere that it was recommended to run Chkdsk f r or something When I did that in Safe Mode with networking it said it couldnt do it right away So it prompted me to ask if I wanted to schedule it on next startup To which I said yes Good god I inflicted myself another hours and an overnight of troubleshooting I was not able to reboot my computer and cancel the... Read more

A:Black screen after boot logo, after a random display drive failure

First try running Memtest86+: This runs from a boot disk or CD and should eliminate or confirm if your one or more of your memory sticks are bad.

Let it run for about 20 passes (An ideal test would be about an hour), if no errors by then your ram is OK.

Download the bootable .ISO from here: http://www.memtest.org/

How to create a bootable CD: How to Create a Boot Disk With Imgburn | eHow

Let me know if the software shows up with any errors. Please take a picture of it.

---------------

Next: Download Seagate Tools for DOS from here: SeaTools for DOS | Seagate

Once downloaded on another PC burn the software to a bootable CD.

Then on the broken PC boot to the Seagate Tools and run the short test.

If any errors take a picture and reply with the pictures.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/black-screen-after-boot-logo-after-a-random-display-drive-failure-703182.html
Relevancy 90.73%

This is driving me crazy.

Right after I boot my laptop, the screen flashes randomly.

Also something is stealing focus from what I am working on to something else.

Then it likes to suddenly go to a grey screen. I have to manually reboot.

If that is not enough, it like to just reboot.

Scanned with my AVG and Kaspersky, nothing found. Tried TrendMicro House Call, nothing. Dr. Web, nothing.

All drivers are up to date.

I have run it in the safe mode for about an hour with no problems. No new software installed recently. I went to restore and it was only dated from the previous day, so no help there.

I would prefer not to Nuke and pave, but if that what I need to do, I can.

Any thoughts, theories, explosives you can recommend for this?

I await with enlarging piles of hair as I pull it out.
Roger

A:Windows screen flashes, random grey screen & random black screen

Welcome to SF!

This sounds like a case of overheating, Download Speccy and upload a Screenshot
when in normal use (not Safe-Mode).

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/302037-windows-screen-flashes-random-grey-screen-random-black-screen.html
Relevancy 88.58%

I have an Asus laptop that is almost brand new but without warning the screen will go black. When I restart it, Windows doesn't recover from a serious error or anything. I've checked the battery and that isn't the problem. I've run virus scans and they turn up nothing and I have no other issues with the computer. Thanks in advance guys. Let me know what I have to do.

A:My laptop screen goes black at random

Completely black? like the screen turned off? or does it get really dim? have you dropped it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-screen-goes-black-at-random.192726/
Relevancy 88.58%

Hey I noted my laptop will black screen at random in regular mode and so I restart the computer only for it to keep happening. I start up in safe mode and it works fine no black screen issues. Is there a reason or a fix for the screen shutting down in regular mode? I was told the lap top needs to be replaced.

Laptop is a Qosmio and is about 5 years old. I do not use if for much but son was using it for school.

Thank you,

Rick.

A:random black screen on laptop

Hi, it may be a hardware problem or a system driver, as less drivers load in safe mode.
Try System Restore in safe mode.
Start - Search - Type.
cmd
Right click cmd.exe - run as administrator.
Type
rstrui.exe
Then press Enter.
Choose a date prior to your problem.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/q_a.html#4
======
Vista startup repair
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial148.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/random-black-screen-on-laptop.1144070/
Relevancy 87.29%

I run vista bit and here are my system specs ------------------ System screen laptop but black still Random running? Information ------------------ Time of this report Machine name PC Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium Build Service Pack vistasp gdr - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer Gateway System Model P- FX BIOS Ver PARTTBL Processor Intel R Core TM Duo CPU T GHz CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C Windows DirectX Random black screen but laptop still running? Version DirectX DX Setup Parameters Not found DxDiag Version bit Unicode --------------- Display Devices --------------- Card name NVIDIA GeForce M GTS Manufacturer NVIDIA Chip type GeForce M GTS DAC type Integrated RAMDAC may aswell get Random black screen but laptop still running? to the point now pretty much my laptop can randomly whenever it feels like just stop working the screen will go black the lights on it will stay on eg battery light wireless light etc and sometimes the sound Random black screen but laptop still running? will stop working and get stuck and start looping like a broken cd or sometimes it will just keep on going fine here's a link to another forum post - Event Kernel Power crashes - Tech Support Forum in that forum post is a lot of information and has alot of things i've tried but none have helped it contains screen shots mini dump attachments and so on im pretty much at the verge of taking it into somewhere to see if someone could help but i'm giving it a last ditch effort online to see if anyone can help thank you for reading and if you can help me you have no idea how grateful i would be

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/282035-random-black-screen-but-laptop-still-running.html
Relevancy 87.29%

hello bleeping computer world. im sure you have had many cases of black screens popping up while gaming. i know the issue might have to do with my laptop heating up, but i just want to double check as this has only started happening recently on my new vaio vgn-fw490J laptop.

im running on vista home premium sp1 with a radeon hd 4650 graphics card and have installed/run speed fan on automatic fan speed as some forums have suggested, but my black problem still hasnt gone away.

it has only happened while i played HoN (Heroes of Newerth), a pretty graphically demanding game, but again im puzzled because i played the game perfectly fine for two~three weeks, then one day i suddenly get a black screen, then another, and then another... etc.

if you guys can help, that would be awesome and greatly appreciated!

A:random black screen while gaming on my laptop

It could be driver related, but it is probably a heat issue.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/257004/random-black-screen-while-gaming-on-my-laptop/
Relevancy 86.86%

Well I have a Gateway laptop with a black screen and displays what is above in the thread name After that it then says pxe-m f exiting pxe rom Operating system not found What happened to my laptop I understand that a media test failure is common But what does it mean I test black error pxe-e61: failure, laptop, cable on screen check media didn t really use this laptop much so I really don t know why it would be ruined I disconnected my hdd and connected it again still won t boot up I also tried booting it in safe mode but can t It just gives me a second black screen on laptop, error pxe-e61: media test failure, check cable beep and proceeds to the black screen after hitting the F key I have used an operating system disk with Service pack and tried booting from the dvd drive still won t boot Can anyone please let me know what happened to my laptop I don t mind buying a new hdd because my current one didn t have anything big or important on it Will I have to take it to Geek Squad and have them check it out Anyone have an esimate of how much that would cost me with black screen on laptop, error pxe-e61: media test failure, check cable repairs Also I have checked in BIOS and I see that I have a slave hdd not a master In the master slot it says none what does that mean How can I check that my hdd is still functioning since my laptop won t actually boot nbsp

A:black screen on laptop, error pxe-e61: media test failure, check cable

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-on-laptop-error-pxe-e61-media-test-failure-check-cable.847893/
Relevancy 86.43%

I just got a new computer that runs windows During random intervals New crashes to black laptop intervals screen random at the screen will go black not like it is crashing completely but more of a black screen with the back light still on The only thing that fixes this problem is doing a power cycle This is the specs for my computer Intel Core i - U Processor MB Cache GHz GB of RAM DDR MhzIntel HD Graphics current driver nbsp The name of the model is HP G SKYLAKE I and I have not done any sorts of modification so far What I have done so far completely reinstall windows from the beginning Installed new drivers from intels homepage I am however not sure I did it the correct way but I New laptop crashes to black screen at random intervals got a message confirming the installation and un-installation Uninstalled the drivers Restarting my computer several times What is weird is that this is happening on random intervals I do not use any sort of heavy programs or anything like that During the whole re-installation on windows this thing never happened not even once Some times it can take minutes and other times it might take minutes before it happens

A:New laptop crashes to black screen at random intervals

skylakeissues Hello;Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!First off, you should NOT be installing drivers from Intel on your new laptop; instead, you should have kept the drivers that were preinstalled. Second, while this PC is still under warranty, you should contact HP Customer Support directly to have them put you in touch with HP Technical Support to see what they can do about diagnosing and repairing your machine remotely.  They will probably have you reinstall the HP drivers, or do that for you.I did this recently and the HP Tech was able to remotely access my PC from the Internet and do the needed repairs.If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.htmlNOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!Good Luck

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/New-laptop-crashes-to-black-screen-at-random-intervals/td-p/5738034
Relevancy 85.14%

So I just got this computer two days ago. When trying to play games such as League of Legends or Diablo 3, I randomly get a crash. I don't get any errors, the game just crashes and is stuck on a black screen or the color of the area I was in the game. Only way to fix it is to manually turn off the computer and turn it back on.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 16345 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 114431 MB, Free - 49303 MB; E: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 1904769 MB;
Motherboard: ASRock, Z77 Performance
Antivirus: None

Relevancy 84.71%

Hi and thanks to anyone who can help.

When on Internet Explorer 9, while looking at photos or anything similar random colors/symbols appear all over the screen and get worse the more I leave it open. When I close IE the colors stop.

Is it IE or my laptop? I have a Lenovo ideapad Windows 7.

Thanks!

A:Random colors on screen?

Does this happen on other browsers (Firefox, Chrome etc?) Try updating the video driver at Lenovo's Download Driver site for your make and model.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/random-colors-on-screen-594797.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Hello I turned on my PC this morning and noticed that the dark backgrounds of my colors/backgrounds pitch screen dark black! The are on websites or Steam or the The dark colors/backgrounds on my screen are pitch black! dark bits in my desktop wallpaper are extremely dark they re pitch black I have the brightness and contrast turned all the way up i fiddled with the settings of the monitor and the display resolutions settings and it won t change All other colors are looking normal and they re very bright but the black dark blue bits of my Start Menu background and Steam backgrounds are so pitch black as if they are immune to the brightness option I just tried playing The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion While i was outside in a field everything looked bright and great When i went into an underground crypt i could only see the torches on the walls I couldn t see anything around me It s as if something is maximizing the darkness of dark colors and making them pitch black and immune to bightness I suspect that something in my video card or RAM or monitor has gone broken causing this abnormal color damage I am running Windows Ultimate -bit using a Samsung SyncMaster BW x monitor running a GeForce GT and AMD Athlon x Ghz Any help appreciated nbsp

A:The dark colors/backgrounds on my screen are pitch black!

Can you try another monitor for test purposes?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/the-dark-colors-backgrounds-on-my-screen-are-pitch-black.167800/
Relevancy 79.55%

Some blacks are looking red and grainy, along with some other colors being weird. I've looked into this problem but no matter what I try I haven't been able to find a solution. I'm using a Dell Inspiron M5030 with a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Windows 7 driver. Any known solutions would be great. Thanks.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/386192-certain-colors-laptop-screen-looking-red-grainy.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hello people This is my first post here so be nice to me if this seems to be in the wrong section Anyways earlier today when i was using my laptop acer aspire years old everything was going great until i moved my laptop a bit Suddenly strange pink bars were in screen gives Laptop colors weird my screen sometimes making me reboot my pc because i couldnt see anything I found this picture that looks quite similar to my problem in a older topic The strange thing is tho sometimes when i move my screen Laptop screen gives weird colors back or forward a bit it seems fine if i dont touch it it stays properly forever Laptop screen gives weird colors Untill i touch it again and it gets fked up again So i don t think it s anything with graphic card or drivers seems to be happening when i touch my screen Can anyone help me with this problem and tell me whats wrong And what i can do about it Tnx in advance Vigo nbsp

A:Laptop screen gives weird colors

Its either something has come loose in the screen such as a connector or cable or the video or graphics card has problems.Or its just very possible the screen itself is going because the inverter or backlights are wearing out.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-screen-gives-weird-colors.1039967/
Relevancy 79.55%

Best way I can explain the flashes is that I get this pink blue reddish mess of a whole lot of colors on my screen It literally happens in seconds and flashes colors Laptop flashes screen sometimes it recurs and other times it won t Where the colors Laptop screen flashes colors are also changes sometimes about of my screen flashes this mess of colors other times less or it appears as lines I Laptop screen flashes colors have no idea what it is However if I could draw a similarity it s sorta like the mess of colors you get on your screen if its broken damaged No shape or pattern just a lot of colors Though my screen isn t broken or damaged It s actually working fine as I type this for instance hence my loss of what it could be I Laptop screen flashes colors d also like to add that this occurred specifically while I was playing an online game Though in addition to that I d also like to point out that a minor version of it appeared when I restarted my computer and it loaded into Windows So I m pretty lost as to what it is Any ideas Really hoping its nothing that will cripple my laptop completely - - nbsp

A:Laptop screen flashes colors

That sounds a bit like either the video cable is badly connected or the graphics chip is suffering from the well known "ball grid array" problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-screen-flashes-colors.1132456/
Relevancy 79.55%

How do i fix a laptop LCD screen with distorted colors like the screen has a mix of red dots on desktop, it happens randomly last time now its persistent.

A:LCD laptop screen has distorted colors

You likely can't, at least not easily. Probably one of three things. The cable from the motherboard to the display is wearing out and has a broken wire(s). The display is failing and needs to be replaced. Or the video card/motherboard has a fault and needs to be replaced. I suppose it could also be a video driver problem but it sounds more like a hardware fault to me.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/263970-lcd-laptop-screen-has-distorted-colors.html
Relevancy 79.55%

I bought an HP laptop with windows and a radeon graphics card about five of a jumble colors screen now is Laptop months ago It's been giving me occasional startup bug http www techsupportforum com forums f laptop-startup-issues- html post but today it completely died on me I left it asleep for a few hours in my backpack and when I flipped it back open I was greeted with the usual login screen Except that the top quarter of the screen or so was cut off and replaced with a black space with green dotted lines and Laptop screen is now a jumble of colors the lower half was tinted white Moreover the colors slowly began to change and there was no mouse cursor I force quit and have since tried booting it several times Every time I'm greeted with the same segmented screen and both sections slowly drift between an array of colors and textures mostly white and grey I can hear the normal startup welcome sound so I think the programs themselves are working fine I just cant' see anything including the mouse cursor I'll hopefully be taking it into a repair shop tomorrow but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone had Laptop screen is now a jumble of colors any diagnosis or suggestions about what might be causing this and how serious it might me From what I've seen on google it's probably a hardware issue but I have no idea how long Laptop screen is now a jumble of colors it would take to fix

A:Laptop screen is now a jumble of colors

Telling people you are taking it into a repair shop pretty much demotivates anyone from helping you. We (for the most part) are here to fix computers, and not talk about them for conversational purposes. I, for one, get pretty pissed when I spend time trying to help someone fix their computer and then in the middle of the thread they up & decide to pay someone to fix it for them. Complete waste of my time.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/laptop-screen-is-now-a-jumble-of-colors-673525.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hello My laptop HP Pavilion dv Notebook PC is with the following Laptop Screen Colors Up Messed configuration OS Version Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM Duo CPU T GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce M GS Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB H Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Quanta D None Antivirus Kaspersky PURE Updated and Enabled Edit I also use another screen for a dual screen setup the problem is only visible Laptop Screen Messed Up Colors on the laptop s screen Click to expand The colors on my screen suddenly got messed up while using the laptop As you can see from the images below many colors have changed into other colors patterns Original image Camera shot of my screen screenshots appear perfect on perfectly working screens I believe this is a hardware issue because the green line is visible while the laptop is booting up and because the problem doesn t show on screenshots What should I do in such a situation I m going to buy another laptop soon because this one is just too old but before that time comes I need this problem fixed Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Laptop Screen Messed Up Colors

Hi,

You say the screenshots like fine when viewed on a working PC, so I would make the assumption that the fault is with the LCD screen itself. If it is actually faulty then your only real choices is to replace the LCD or use an external monitor. Replacing the LCD can be expensive and if it is a particularly old laptop it probably isn't a worthwhile financial option.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-screen-messed-up-colors.1065115/
Relevancy 79.12%

Hello and thanks for reading I have a year old HP pavilion dv series laptop running windows Yesterday I turned it on and it started normally but when I tried to browse on Firefox it gave me the blue screen for the first time ever and it shut down Fearing I had a virus I ran it in safe mode blinking Laptop blue cursor crash HP screen screen black with now and started a scan and began HP Laptop blue screen crash now black screen with blinking cursor transporting my pictures via Dropbox just in case it died on me Sure enough a weird error message couldnt HP Laptop blue screen crash now black screen with blinking cursor figure out what program made the message pop up popped up saying I had a bunch of urgent viruses I didn t click on it at all and before I couldn t think of what to do the blue screen popped up and it shut down When I tried to restart it the HP splash sign popped up and the screen flickered black and a blinking HP Laptop blue screen crash now black screen with blinking cursor cursor started in the upper left corner So this is where I stand now Black screen with blinking cursor Set default setting in BIOS didn t work and F safe mode or F system restore does nothing The black screen just stays there Any ideas Is it a gonner I m hoping to get back on and get my pictures if possible Help please nbsp

A:HP Laptop blue screen crash now black screen with blinking cursor

sounds like a bug -click report and ask to move to malware forum

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-laptop-blue-screen-crash-now-black-screen-with-blinking-cursor.1033666/
Relevancy 79.12%

hi my laptop screen is set to turn off after 5 mins, when it does i cannot wake it, no matter what buttons i push or using my mouse. this black screen also happens when i restart my computer, it logs me off the the screen goes black and computer power lights are still on and it does nothing HELP! haha thanks

Nathan

A:laptop screen goes black when i restart, and screen wont wake up after it turns off

Boot the computer and press F8 in the Advanced Boot menu choose Last Known Good Configuration.
What is the make and model# of the computer? Go to the manufactures support/download drivers site and download the Chipset and the Video driver for the computer.
Go to Start/Search and type powercfg.cpl. Right click the powercfg results and Run As Administrator. Click Change Plan Settings/change Advanced power settings. Reset your power settings to your liking.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/laptop-screen-goes-black-when-i-restart-and-screen-wont-wake-up-after-it-turns-off-698507.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Hello I have a Sony Vaio T-series laptop model SVT CXS running windows As of yesterday the touch TV + OK, SCREEN BLACK to (power OK, fan LAPTOP HDMI OK) screen screen is black it doesn't display anything Laptop powers on lights are on fan makes noise etc I was able to plug an HDMI cable from my laptop to my TV and I am able to use the laptop using my TV screen laptop screen is still black but displays on TV works And the odd twist this is a touch screen laptop so I am able to touch my laptop screen and it makes clicks and moves cursor on my TV for some reason the track pad doesn't work while its on TV LAPTOP BLACK SCREEN (power + fan OK, HDMI to TV OK, touch screen OK) display though Any help would be greatly appreciated If you can give me steps into diagnosing the problem that'd be great I live in a small college town and there is only one computer repair shop and since it's a monopoly he rips people off Charges for a diagnostic if you get it fixed it goes towards the repair if not it's Charged my friend for macbook charger and it wasn't even an genuine Apple product

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/588827/laptop-black-screen-power-fan-ok-hdmi-to-tv-ok-touch-screen-ok/
Relevancy 78.69%

when I connect to screen mirroring device my laptop screen goes black. The screen mirroring device screen also stay black, it does show it is loading but it never mirrors laptop. Need to enable laptop screen to mirror not turn off.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/437696-how-do-i-enable-laptop-screen-goes-black-when-i-am-switching-screen-mirroring.html
Relevancy 78.26%

I'm having a weird problem. My laptop will show a black screen when booting. It seems no matter how long I wait, nothing happens. When I attach an external LCD to the laptop, it shows the Windows load or Windows resume graphics on the external monitor, but not on my laptop screen. As soon as the Desktop Screen with the Windows Login appears, it then appears on my laptop as well.

I also can't seem to get to safe mode. I push f8 and it never comes up I haven't installed any new software or hardware to cause this.
Any thoughts?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-screen-is-black-until-windows-login-screen.560673/
Relevancy 78.26%

First post, but I have tried to uninstall video drivers, system restore, random registry fixes, and so forth. I also did a virus scan, showing 17 Trojans (I know, very bad). I am guessing that is how this happened, not sure though. Uninstalling the video drivers helps, until I need to restart it due to new software. Then I can sometimes get to the log in screen, but even after that, It just goes black after a few seconds. I have searched and searched all over, and have not found a fix. Any help?

A:Laptop with Vista has black screen after loading screen

Hi Hackrtanman,

firstly welcome to the forums

Can you post detailed specs of your system.

And can you try to boot into safemode and disable the video card drivers on the system from Device Manager and then restart the system and check.

http://www.vistax64.com/graphic-cards/296826-laptop-vista-has-black-screen-after-loading-screen.html
Relevancy 78.26%

I have a gateway laptop (SOLO 5350) and the screen was horribly ripped off(during car accident). Well when I connect my desktop 17" monitor to the port on the back of the laptop and when the windows xp home edition boot screen is finished I get a black screen although the cpu is still workig properly and the monitor is still on. I reboot and press f8 and try to go into safe mode but it just hangs on the screen with all the driver names on it. Can someone guide me in a good direction before I take it to a repair shop?

A:Laptop screen damaged.....black screen at boot

Normally there's a Altfunction+key that switches the desktop from the LCD to a external monitor.. Look around on the top row of keys for a monitor symbol, then use the alternate function key with that key to switch to the monitor.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-screen-damaged-black-screen-at-boot.288662/
Relevancy 77.83%

Hey fellas figured I d try and post for some assistance here First off I ll explain weird & Laptop/Video colors Drivers Help screen over - my situation with my Laptop check profile for specs I suppose or I can post my Everest summary Anyway it was working fine for the first Laptop/Video Help - Drivers & weird colors over screen few weeks I decided to uninstall Acer s little widgets and the other crap that was on here That went over well now when the computer goes to sleep it crashes explorer and restarts the computer I believe it is the WiFi drivers for my wireless internet adapter that is causing the problem after checking my error console Also after using the computer for around minutes or so the black colors on my screen are turning red After some time the white color is turning light blue both sort of flicker and goes away after I shut it down for a while Also when I mouse-over the screwed up colors it is fine so it is not dead pixels or anything like that I do not believe my sensors are broken its only a new laptop I have noticed the case is not too rigid so I pick it up with two hands always So yeah I tried to download new drivers but Vista installs it s own whenever I uninstall them I have the latest ones from Acer s website ready to download so maybe if someone knows how to disable Vista s default drivers that silly driver installer or uninstall the ones it s using to screw me over Thanks in advance and here is a screenshot of the sensor readings http img imageshack us img tempatureswr jpg nbsp

A:Laptop/Video Help - Drivers & weird colors over screen

Nobody can offer any help?
Anyone atleast know how to install my video drivers without windows installing its own first?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-video-help-drivers-weird-colors-over-screen.593045/
Relevancy 77.83%

Hi Everyone, Happy New Year.

Laptop (Toshiba Satellite L300D) completely freezes or screen goes funny with lots of random colours chequered across the screen. A reformat has not helped. Has been doing this for a long time. Memtest86+ shows all to be fine, pagefile is fine, temperatures look normal. It crashes at random times. Sometimes can go for days without a crash. Have checked disk and divers, also updated drivers and all looks fine but still laptop continues to crash. Laptop had this problem when it originally had Vista on. Is now running Windows 7 32 bit Ultimate. I will attach some minidumps and a screenshot of the folder to show the frequency.

Think it might be a hardware fault but would be good to know specifically what it is.

Any help at all would be much appreciated. Thanks very much.

A:Laptop freezes or screen goes checkered with multiple colors

Help!!! Please

Any help on this would be much appreciated. Don't know if there's anyone about that is any good at reading minidump files? Thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-freezes-or-screen-goes-checkered-with-multiple-colors.159131/
Relevancy 77.83%

I'm noticing two things on my Compaq laptop screen:
1. When I'm typing in Word (for example), I can sometimes see the "colors" in the black text (like the colors making up the black, if that makes sense -- sort of like how you can see the colors on a DLP projector sometimes). I guess it might just be my eyes...? Please, no acid jokes...

2. When I move open windows across the screen, I can see them as they move, but it looks all jittering/stuttery. Is this normal?

Thanks!

A:Questions about laptop screen appearance (colors & jittery)

Could be caused by a number of things

Have you checked for updates for your Video Card on the Manufactures site

What Model Compaq is it.

And what resolution have you got it set at?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/questions-about-laptop-screen-appearance-colors-jittery.546053/
Relevancy 77.4%

Hi i m new to the forum and i need help with my toshiba a -s it was working fine for the past year and months that i have used it and then one day it suddenly crashed while i was watching a movie it displayed random patterns on screen kinda like part of the image from the video is on the screen then a black strip and random colors I restarted the unit to safe mode and left it on and browsed the net and downloaded some big files for how many hours and nothing happened there are also times when windows is still loading with the windows logo on screen it crashes there are also times when the login screen is / screen pattern blue crashes, on Laptop screen random displayed and it crashes it just crashes randomly so i tried to reformat it i deleted the partitions and created a new one formatted it then Laptop crashes, random pattern on screen / blue screen fresh installed windows my previous OS is windows by the way and started installing the basic drivers and after a few hours it crashed again thinking that the driver installed might not be compatible i tried another fresh install of windows same execution delete partition create install OS and this Laptop crashes, random pattern on screen / blue screen time without installing the drivers it crashed again after a few hours sometimes it crashes immediately after turning it on from cold start is there someone who can give me an advice on this is this somehow caused by dust accumulating inside the laptop or is it already busted nbsp

Relevancy 76.97%

Hi I got problem to sort out.Black screen.Id failure: PTQG5K-74189D-MFPV6J-60RN03Id product: P9F41EA#ABU

A:Black screen dst failure

Sounds like the hard drive has failed and will need to be replaced. If you are still in warranty HP will send a replacement. If not a retail laptop SATA hard drive can be used. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Discs. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Black-screen-dst-failure/td-p/5823935
Relevancy 76.54%

my E5-571P laptop screen keeps going black.  i have to opne/.close ro jiggle the screen up/down to ge the screen back.  sometime it last 5 minutes but usually 1-10 seconds only.  Very frustrating.  it seem like it must be the lid sensor.  How do i fix this????

http://community.acer.com/t5/E-and-M-Series-Laptops/my-E5-571P-laptop-screen-keeps-going-black-SCREEN-LID-SENSOR/td-p/432748/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 76.11%

Hello everyone I'm very sorry for just being a new member and allready posting I felt like i needed to post this straight away as i've seen the technichal support given by the community and as much i can be honest this is the top website i found with the most fixes to anyone that will be interested in helping me I appreciate it deeply - thank you very much Recently i left my computer to update a game world of warcraft overnight When i woke up I was confused why it was back to the login screen Black link Google Random Freezes. Login Screen, & Random Help: 'Jump' im guessing it must have reseted So i logged in couple of minutes later the wallpaper changed into something 'Warning your computer has been infected everything you do is logged' so bla bla So i ran a couple of AVG scans manage to find Help: Random Black Login Screen, Google link 'Jump' & Random Freezes. the thing it was something called b exe been deleted now my wallpaper problem is fixed HOWEVER sometimes when i turn on the pc it's just a plain black screen with a curser in the middle a couple of clicks it will freeze it works after a couple of hard reboots Everytime i search something on google using firefox and click on the link it brings up a new tab with 'jump' title the computer also randomly freezes at some point This is my log DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by Carlo at on Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT AV AVG Anti-Virus On-access scanning enabled Updated DDD - FF- F- E B- D D BF Running Processes C WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunch svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcs svchost exe svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k HTTPFilter C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X lxdxserv exe C WINDOWS system lxdxcoms exe C Program Files Microsoft LifeCam MSCamS exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgam exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgrsx exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgnsx exe C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe C WINDOWS system PnkBstrA exe C Program Files Sunbelt Software CounterSpy SBAMSvc exe C Program Files Alcohol Soft Alcohol StarWind StarWindServiceAE exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files Canon CAL CALMAIN exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C WINDOWS RTHDCPL EXE C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C WINDOWS system RUNDLL EXE C PROGRA AVG AVG avgtray exe C Program Files Sunbelt Software CounterSpy SBAMTray exe C Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMBgMonitor exe C Program Files Windows Live Messenger msnmsgr exe C program files steam steam exe C Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMIndexingService exe C Program Files RocketDock RocketDock exe C Program Files Windows Media Player WMPNSCFG exe C Program Files NETGEAR WG T wlan t exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMIndexStoreSvr exe C PROGRA Raptr Raptr exe C PROGRA Raptr RaptrBT exe C Program Files Ventrilo Ventrilo exe C Program Files Xfire Xfire exe C Documents and Settings Papa Local Settings Application Data Google Update GoogleUpdate exe C WINDOWS system dwwin exe C WINDOWS system PnkBstrB exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmplayer exe C Program Files Internet Explorer Iexplore exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLLoginProxy exe C Documents and Settings Papa Desktop Deskop Downloads dds scr Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page hxxp www google co uk uSearch Page hxxp www google com uSearch Bar hxxp www google com ie mDefault Search URL hxxp www google com ie uSearchAssistant hxxp www google com ie uSearchURL Default hxxp www google com search q s mSearchAssistant hxxp www google com ie uURLSearchHooks Yahoo Toolbar ef bd -c fb- d - f- d f - c progra yahoo companion installs cpn yt dll BHO Octh Class b - b - -b f -f b efc - c program files orbitdownloader orbitcth dll BHO amp Yahoo Toolbar Helper d -c f - efb- b -... Read more

A:Help: Random Black Login Screen, Google link 'Jump' & Random Freezes.

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERE

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/248105/help-random-black-login-screen-google-link-jump-random-freezes/
Relevancy 76.11%

Hello All Computer hardware wizards,
My Dell Notebook a Vostro 1500, 1.6Ghz 4G Ram, 250GB Hardrive and OS: Vista Home Edition, suddenly acted up yesterday.
1) At first my screen displayed random horizontal color lines (sort of blinking randomly). When that did not change after a few minutes, I 'hard' powered off the Laptop.
2) When I pushed power on, it dispalyed the LED's for Num Lock, Cap Lock and Scroll Lock. The Cap Lock LED was blinking and the Num Lock, Scroll LocK LED's remained continously on. SCREEN was completely black.....no display!
3) After about 30 seconds all 3 LED's shut off and computer went dead.

I repeated this several times. Took battery off, tried unplugging from 110V power etc. Still does the same as described in paragraph 3.

PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP!

A:Screen Failure & Startup power failure. After 30 seconds laptop powers off

That doesn't sound too healthy!

How old is the laptop? If it is under warranty I would get it checked that way.

My initial thought, although not a certainty, would be a problem with the graphics card itself from your description.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/screen-failure-startup-power-failure-after-30-seconds-laptop-powers-off.940044/
Relevancy 76.11%

Hi everyone - my first post to this forum. I searched the archives, tried a couple things, still need help:

Machine is P4 3.2Ghz, 2GB Systemax running XP SP2. Did a full housecleaning 3 months ago, including C: reformat, ran fine til today, when I rebooted to install updates from McAfee and MozyHome (remote backup service).

Boot hangs at a black screen, no audible disk activity. If I switch the monitor off and back on again, I get a glimpse of the Windows Startup screen with logo, but it disappears immediately to black. Tried using ERD Commander to boot (I suspected MozyHome, so I wanted to try to set it not to run on startup), and got the old "STOP:c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum} The image wininet.dll is possibly corrupt" message. Used my XP disk to expand the wininet.dl_ file into c:\windows\system32 - no change to the boot problem.

Any thoughts?

Coby

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-sp2-startup-failure-black-screen-277671.html
Relevancy 76.11%

My Sony vaio running windows 7 has stopped working - screen black with arrow cursor only. Seems like windows tries to load then gets stuck so nothing on screen to access data.

Have tried to run Vaio rescue data onto remote hard drive butsystem failed download due tothe following error message:

'windows service pack error 316f 3856ad364e35_6.17600.16385_none_8e81d706fbf9393ddmanfest'

Any suggestions how to access documents and recover them - would appreciate the help with this

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/complete-failure-black-screen.983240/
Relevancy 75.25%

ok basically lately my remote desktop is flaky.

Scenario is.

Activated Windows 7 N Ultimate as host machine (in other room)
Activated Windows 7 Ultimate as client machine, am using it now.

If I remote desktop in after logging in locally on the host, I get the black screen for approx 2 minutes at which point it closes with an error.
If I remote desktop in whilst the host is logged out I can connect and log in fine.
If I detach from a running remote desktop session and try to relogin again, I get the black screen sympton again and have to logout locally on the host to be able to login again on remote desktop.
If I try to login locally on the host whilst the black screen is up here I get rejected due to remote desktop service been busy. I have to wait for the window to close.

any ideas what the problem is?

A:Remote Desktop Failure Black screen

to add I do briefly see the login screen before it goes black. It is actually managing to connect, the error I mentioned is something like "the 2 systems were unable to connect in the time slot alloted".

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/178877-remote-desktop-failure-black-screen.html
Relevancy 75.25%

so i turn on my computer and my backgroung disappears. its just a black backgroung but the icons are still present. by the way i have windows xp, and at the bottom right corner it has a "hard drive failure" icon. a window popped up that scanned my computer and found alot of error. the internet and other programs wont open. what do i do???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-and-hard-drive-failure.991330/
Relevancy 75.25%

Hello,
My dad has a nividia geforce graphics card in his computer and a 22 inch benq lcd monitor. Everynow and then when he starts the computer(its becoming more frequent every day),the computer screen is black and when you turn it on it says no signal.even some times when its left idle it does it.I'm guessing its a problem with the graphics card.Ive done all the obvious steps like clean the graphics card, make sure the screens plugged in and update the drivers.

Does anyone know what could cause this??

I will put the specs of dads computer up tomorrow

~Fastboy42~

A:Black Screen.Graphics Card Failure?

Make sure you update the graphic card drivers from the venders site, if you dont know then i can show you where.

Next click the link on my sig and do everything there then reboot. If the problem still exists then go into the bios and set the display to onboard graphics, boot then shutdown the pc and remove the graphics card. Then boot up and see if the problem still happens. If you need help with the BIOS settings then just ask.

NOTE: if you dont have onboard graphics you'll need another graphics card which you can put in instead of the one your using

If after doing all the above its still not working correctly then download http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php and run it then take a screenshot so we can see all the values and post it here

http://www.vistax64.com/graphic-cards/224715-black-screen-graphics-card-failure.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I have an Emachine model EL 1210-01e using Vista. I continually am getting black screen of death with these codes
0x0000009 (0x0000003, 0x842c18f0, 0x85fetabb, 0x85c1c338) driver-power-state-failure. I am an intermediate computer user so I really can't tell if this is fixable. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-i-have-a-black-screen-of-death-power-driver-failure.1000751/
Relevancy 74.39%

My computer is pretty decent an fx- core gh r x and gb ram here s the issue I ll be playing a game and it will crash screen goes black resolution is driver screen, failure video crashing, Black refreshed audio remains sometimes I get a message quot your video driver has crashed and has recovered quot firs thing you should know is that some of my games don t do this at all such as darksouls shadow of mordor usually does this over an hour into Lords of the fallen usually takes half an hour but it just happened within minutes Here s the tricky part Alien isolation did it as well but after turning down the graphics it does not do it at all So I figure this solution could work for other games as well no luck Two great examples are the greenlit Black screen, crashing, video driver failure games quot no more room in hell quot and quot the fifth day quot both of these titles are pretty low end in graphics but they are unplayable Black screen, crashing, video driver failure due to this problem the second game Black screen, crashing, video driver failure never crashes however it just continues to turn black and than it actually recovers only to go black again So in essence the problem is very complex I have tried altering settings in AMD catalyst manager with no luck I than did a complete reinstalled of my system and installed all of the updates available I also tried other drivers for my card I thought perhaps the system is overheating but that was not the case at all Any ideas at all please even crazy theories im nearly certain it s a defective GPU nbsp

A:Black screen, crashing, video driver failure

Having 10 GB of RAM means there's at least one mismatched stick. I know that some computers will rebel with mismatched RAM. One easy thing you can try is to remove the mismatched stick and see if there's any improvement.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-crashing-video-driver-failure.1140285/
Relevancy 74.39%

After this product has worked perfectly since purchase in2014, the screen now reverts to blackness after being in sleep mode or hibernation. This has only stared since using HP updates. HP Notebook System B108  ADM Prossessors update failed to install but I was informed by HP representative this was not important.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/black-screen-after-sleep-mode-following-update-failure/td-p/5596919
Relevancy 74.39%

Hello,

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place, but it appears to be a driver problem (Most likely the GPU).

The computer reaches the "Starting windows" animation, but after that boots to a black screen with a cursor, then the hard drive activity light slowly flickers off, I'm not sure if this is of significance, but moving the cursor results in the screen instantly going to the lowest brightness setting.

I've tried to fix this myself and managed to fix it for a short amount of time, but now the problem is occurring again, I'll update my system specs in a second but this is an Acer Aspire 5532 notebook.

All help is appreciated, Thanks for reading.

I'm posting this from safe mode, and here's the ntbtlog.txt.

Please tell me if I've done anything wrong or you need any information, I will gladly do so.

A:Driver failure on boot causing black screen

Hello and welcome Dig03 yep some system specs would be handy System Info - See Your System Specs

Run these in safe mode

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html

Could you also run Speccy and let us know what the temps are too? Speccy - Download < download from piriform.

Try reseating the RAM sticks is another easy thing you can do as is reseating the hard drive - plus it may even be the hard drive failing and the only way to test it is run some tests on another machine if you can access one. There are two I use regularly - SeaTools for Windows | Seagate

and another that will test the actual physical surface of the spinner - Best Free Partition Manager Freeware and free partition magic for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition. - see my pic.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/331195-driver-failure-boot-causing-black-screen.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Last week the office manager at my job went to lunch and upon returning found her ASUS i laptop frozen solid She did a hard shut down and tried to restart when the computer came back on it was a black Screen 7 i5 Death Windows failure HD Black of and ASUS screen that said failure to connect media I turned off the computer and removed the HD I plugged the hd into an external connection kit to Windows 7 ASUS i5 HD failure and Black Screen of Death my laptop and found that it was emitting a clicking sound and wouldn't load so I know the HD is bad I burnt Ubuntu to a DVD rom and put that into the computer I then changed the boot method to Windows 7 ASUS i5 HD failure and Black Screen of Death booting from the DVD drive Windows 7 ASUS i5 HD failure and Black Screen of Death When the computer restarted it came up with a black screen with nothing on it I removed the DVD and tried to reboot the same thing happened I went out and purchased a new HD and tried to reboot the system lights are on but still a black screen I have taken out the battery HD and let the PC sit for about minutes and then tried to reboot same black screen Today I brought in a USB diagnostic tool and used it on the computer without the HD in it The code that displayed on the LCD was 'FF' which is a boot issue and usually points to the HD correct I also plugged the laptop to an external VGA monitor nothing came up so I know the screen is not dead The laptop is only months old Right now the only thing useful I can use this PC for is a paper weight Any ideas on how to solve the issues at hand Thanks

A:Windows 7 ASUS i5 HD failure and Black Screen of Death

Sounds like it may be a dead motherboard. Since it's only nine months old, I'd RMA it under warranty.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/509402/windows-7-asus-i5-hd-failure-and-black-screen-of-death/
Relevancy 74.39%

Greetings I am completely lost and will paypal anyone with the correct answer We are a repair shop been in business for Years We have a windows xp pro machine in here that is used for a milling company The software that runs this machine is uber expensive So formatting a starting over is not an option The Machine Is Dell Precision T It has New tested and known good ram GB It has an Black Windows XP Boot Pro screen Failure no cursor to Acronis Image of the original HD for testing purposes only in it It will boot and run to another Hard drive Making me pretty certain there is an issue with the OS it's self When I try to turn it on the following sequence happens every time Windows XP logo comes Windows XP Pro Failure to Boot Black screen no cursor up and then a black screen with no cursor Here is what happens when you Windows XP Pro Failure to Boot Black screen no cursor try to go into safemode it fails Safemode with networking Same fail Last Known Good fail Enable VGA mode fail start windows normally fail -------------------------------------------- Now for with a Windows XP pro cd in the drive boots up to first screen tap the letter R it asks what drive answer it asks for password to admin answer press enter Then I have command prompt I type in chkdsk r press enter it successfully does it no errors I then Typed in Fix mbr It says it had a non standard MBR and asked if I wanted to fix it I said yes then it reported that it was fixed Then I typed in fix boot it asked if I wanted to do that sure why not It said it was done I then typed shutdown -r the computer rebooted -------------------------------------- I then attempted to boot with the same results I then rebooted to the windows cd again this time going to the next screen to repair windows The option was not there ----------------------------------------------------------------------- I then booted using Hirums Boot Cd I chose mini windows xp I then navigated to the troubled drive and then went to system folder and there was no restore points there I then navigated to C windows system config There was save files in there but only of the five I took the files system sam security software default and cut them into a new folder I created I then renamed the sav files as the original I exited and tried to restart------------ - ------------------------------------ Still wont boot WHAT HAVE I MISSED

A:Windows XP Pro Failure to Boot Black screen no cursor

The NTFS file system may be corrupt/damaged.  AFAIK, the only way to repair it (not files) is to reformat/repartition/reinstall.  I am not saying that's your problem, just one of the possibilities.

Me...I would check the functional status of the original hard drive...a clone of a troubled drive/partition...IME, it's garbage in, garbage out.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/627556/windows-xp-pro-failure-to-boot-black-screen-no-cursor/
Relevancy 74.39%

so my dell n5040 boots with black screen.i can boot with dvd,*** it wont boot with normal boot.tried f8=last known good configuration WITH NO LUCK..Ihavent done reformat or reinstalled windows yet..i cant do online diagnostics,cuse windows wont boot.i guess my hdd failed or soon to be fail..
here are screen shots..

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19989100
Relevancy 74.39%

I Boot w/White Cursor Black XP Screen Failure have a Dell Latitude D that has worked great for me But last week I started having problems when Friday night it would not boot except to a Black Screen with a White Cursor - right out of POST It appeared the HD was dead because it has been a little flakey anyway - so I bought a new one When I had the newone installed and re-imaged it seemed ok XP Boot Failure Black Screen w/White Cursor until the next morning Overnight I had left it in standby mode - nothing new here When I got up in the morning and turned it on the Video was not re-sizing to match the laptop screen like it normally does So I tried to manually adjust it - then it froze and the screen went White - I couldn t get out of that and the HD was running Finally I was able to put it back into a Standby mode - it seemed fine still Then I re-booted The OS didn t come back and system failed to book comming out of the POST I then pulled out my UBCD to find that both drives were working I did the following Chkdsk r fixmbr fixboot boot config spybot still working on it Any clues would be great I need to get this thing back on line so I can get back to work

A:XP Boot Failure Black Screen w/White Cursor

Hi,
I'm SteinPooch.
Okay, so you said you replaced the HDD, and then took the OS Image and put it on the new HDD? As you said, you had no problems there. It sounds like you may have a virus, or you MIGHT need to re-install your OS. I would suggest putting this in the Am I Infected? Forum, as you MIGHT have a virus. And if you find that you don't, please don't hesitate to PM me. I will respond as soon as possible.

Have a nice day.
SteinPooch

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/267894/xp-boot-failure-black-screen-wwhite-cursor/
Relevancy 74.39%

My R - T has started spontaneously black screening on battery power when the battery still shows - power remaining nbsp This has happened several times in the past few months I usually use the computer with the power supply plugged in or on battery for a couple hours not dropping below power and have never had a black screen under these conditions nbsp When spontaneous failure - R7-371T screen black power I occasionally use battery power longer and get below that's when the issue occurs nbsp When it happens the computer goes from on R7-371T spontaneous black screen - power failure to off instantly nbsp There is no blue screen no hibernation standby no crash log no error message in Windows Event Viewer other than a critical error message from the reboot that points to Windows Kernel Power with all bug check codes showing nbsp I've run the AcerCare battery diagnostic and used batteryinfoview and neither indicates any problem nbsp nbsp I don't think this is a battery calibration issue because if it were I would expect the system to go into hybernation rather than spontaneous and instant shutdown nbsp I'm leaning towards a battery cell defect because if it were a motherboard problem I wouldn't expect the problem to be isolated to battery only events and only when the battery is below nbsp The problem doesn't appear to be software related because it will shut down even if I'm not doing anything and it always occurs when the computer is using only OEM hardware with nothing connected to it nbsp Any suggestions on further diagnostics that could be tried would be appreciated but please don't suggest reverting to the factory disk image reinstalling windows or running in safe mode nbsp I have an identical R - T that I purchased shortly after buying the first one for use as a backup and I'm going to image my drive over to that machine nbsp if I can't figure out a way to further diagnose hardware on this one nbsp This one is out of warranty and while I'd be OK changing out a defective battery I don't think it would be cost effective to change the motherboard nbsp

http://community.acer.com/t5/S-and-R-Series-Laptops/R7-371T-spontaneous-black-screen-power-failure/td-p/463396
Relevancy 73.53%

Hello and thanks for this fantastic forum The topic title is the end result I'll describe best I can the precursor events First Win update froze waited for an hour with no circle movement that circley msg System during Catastrophic now failure attempt screen black Restore thing that rotates during updates and such Second restarted computer googled what to do about this several recommendations came up I decided on a System Restore Third the instructions said to restore to the to the restore point just prior to the frozen update This failed so I attempted to restore to the next closest Restore Point I should note that these first two were for the updates of that Tuesday meaning they had the same date and similar Catastrophic failure msg during System Restore attempt now black screen times No clue if this is relevant I just thought it odd as the system updated on shutdown I didn't manually install the updates if I am correct would have created a Restore Point for each manual update Then the Catastrophic Error message popped up attempting to restore from the nd closest Restore Point The two had the same dates and similar times I realize I should have written down the Error codes but I neglected my normal diligence Fourth I reset the computer thinking of trying Safe Mode options to restore the system Holding down F during the entire boot process would not boot to Safe Mode The loading Windows screen did NOT appear the computer just went to the Log-in screen I restarted the computer then repeatedly pressed F during the boot process again no Loading Windows screen appeared just went to Log-in Screen From my understanding the F pressing comes during the Loading Windows part I realized that my keyboard was wireless and thought maybe a wired keyboard would work to get into Safe Mode Switched out my wireless for a usb keyboard Attempted the two prior methods again with the same results Next Using the system configuration utililty in Administrative Tools I tried to force the computer into Safe Mode I chose Safe boot network and No GUI Clicked Launch System Restore and got a black screen after the HDD Light lit up and I assume booted into safe mode pressing the enter button the HDD responded but couldn't see what I was actually clicking on So The screen has the error no signal after the assumed boot up occurs the HDD lights works for the length of time a safe mode boot takes The HDD light responds to the enter key pressing for two or three taps I don't think i am in BIOS I can't tell however Any help is greatly appreciated Thanks much in advance Any info I left out or corrections to my timeline is welcomed I was at this for about hours so my recollection may be fuzzy System Win Home Preminum -bit NVIDIA GT gigs Mushkin Gigabyte MOBO AMD Phenom II BE

A:Catastrophic failure msg during System Restore attempt now black screen

"Holding down F8 during the entire boot process would not boot to Safe Mode"

Don't hold down the F8 key, just tap it once a second or so. You may have to try this several times because the process is finicky.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/548813/catastrophic-failure-msg-during-system-restore-attempt-now-black-screen/
Relevancy 73.53%

Hello there,

A few days ago, my computer started up as usual and showed the Packard Bell logo. The underscore cursor blinked 3 times and then the computer rebooted. This continued all day so it's definitely not temporary. I plugged the hard drive into another computer, and it had the same problem. The PCB on the hard drive has no visible signs of damage; the hard drive IS displayed in the BIOS, and there are no unusual sounds coming from the hard drive. What could the problem be?

-Rixterz

A:Black screen and constant reboot - hard drive failure?

Sounds like the hard drive could potentially be corrupted, if that is the case, my advice is to plug the hard drive into another computer and backup your personal data, and then do a fresh install on the hard drive. If that doesn't work, then the hard drive has most likely failed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/338370-black-screen-constant-reboot-hard-drive-failure.html
Relevancy 73.53%

OMG My Toshiba Satellite M -S XP Pro SP just splashes the quot Toshiba quot logo then goes to a black Sudden flashing Black failure. cursor screen, start-up only screen with a flashing cursor up in the top left corner When I try to F and start Sudden start-up failure. Black screen, flashing cursor only in safe mode or quot Last good configuration quot it does nothing for the first dozen or so Sudden start-up failure. Black screen, flashing cursor only F s Then it beeps once each time I press the F key I next tried F and a window appears which offers four boot options The top one is quot CD DVD quot So I downloaded and burned the ISO of OLTPE and tried it in the machine I can hear and feel the spinning starting and stopping However there is no change to the black screen and nothing loads It was working great and all of a sudden it s just not No new programs no downloads Ergh I know that there are many seeking help here and I m highly appreciative of the assistance I ve gotten in the past Please help out this old seriously quot non-techie quot granpa

A:Sudden start-up failure. Black screen, flashing cursor only

Worth a look, Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503.I'd try the fixmbr command from XP Recovery Console.How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/308362/sudden-start-up-failure-black-screen-flashing-cursor-only/
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi I've got a one week old Sony Vaio laptop with Win that started failing on login The first symptom seems to have been Firefox failing to load any image files - just raw text I believe that began right after a reboot The next attempt to boot failed after the password screen leaving me with nothing Login black password screen typing after Win8 failure: but a mouse cursor and blackness Lots of blackness Running the Vaio troubleshooting wizard hasn't helped although there is the nuclear option of reinstalling - which I'd prefer to leave as my last choice once all other possibilities are exhausted Starting in Safe Mode led to the same black Win8 Login failure: black screen after typing password screen and restoring a previous system mount point from the command prompt rstrui exe didn't appear to help either One more element to make this even more fun this all happened in the midst of a successful attempt to add a UEFI Ubuntu Linux dual-boot option The Ubuntu partition is booting perfectly Anyone have any ideas Thanks

A:Win8 Login failure: black screen after typing password

Have a look at these, Windows 8 Forums - Search Results

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/46328-win8-login-failure-black-screen-after-typing-password.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi again I have another very nasty issue My system fails to enter Standby or Hibernation When I start the process the monitor fades out to black - black at or Failure Hibernation, screen enter Standby stops to as normal - and the system begins to disable devices I can see i e that an attached USB-Stick gets turned off Unluckily Windows seems Failure to enter Standby or Hibernation, stops at black screen to get stuck in between - my WLAN-Card seems to stay on indicated by its LED and the system just gets stuck there Interestingly although the WLAN-Card stays on the computer seems to disconnect correctly - I can't RDP in in this state I have to hold the power switch for seconds to stop that situation The behavior started a few days ago while I was messing around with my drivers because of another unrelated issue Unluckily System Restore doesn't want to go back so I'll have to find another solution My biggest problem I just can't find a way to analyze what device is causing the problem - the Event Log shows nothing of interest and I can't think of other important logs Does anyone have an idea what may cause this or how to debug that issue Thank you for your help Greetings Felix Freiberger

A:Failure to enter Standby or Hibernation, stops at black screen

Try changing this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\reliability
setting TimeStampInterval to 0.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/92106-failure-enter-standby-hibernation-stops-black-screen.html
Relevancy 73.53%

I think my computer s had a stroke or something We went away for the day turned off the computer as normal but this time turned the wall plug off after too and failure... 0 0, screen etc Black 3 1, drive 2, diskette SATA seek when we got back I tried to turn the computer on without the wall plug on forgot that I d turned it off so I turned it back on and pressed the button on the computer again It turned on but the fan made a louder noise than usual for a moment then I Black screen diskette drive 0 seek failure... SATA 0, 1, 2, 3 etc got a black screen with writing on it if I remember something like this something about the processor SATA can t remember what it said here SATA hard drive SATA hard drive SATA None diskette drive seek failure I m sorry the above is so unhelpful but I hit f and I can actually use the computer which I Black screen diskette drive 0 seek failure... SATA 0, 1, 2, 3 etc m doing now to post this and to back up files so once the file backup is done I will try a reboot and update this with the proper info When I logged on I noticed a few strange things There is now a Floppy Disk Drive A we don t even have a floppy disk slot the time is wrong with the date back to st Jan it says that a lot of programs in the start menu are new highlighted yellow and Firefox tells me every webpage I go onto is insecure even google so I m using another browser I had already installed These things probably aren t connected but I thought I d mention them anyway seeing as I have no idea about these things The computer s time has been changing on the odd occasion for a while now Does anyone know what this issue is Ideally I d like a step-by-step way to troubleshoot this and possibly fix the problem without having to restore to factory settings I d hate to lose everything on my computer but by the looks of it it seems to be on it s way out anyway I m sure there can be a solution Anyone Thanks nbsp

A:Black screen diskette drive 0 seek failure... SATA 0, 1, 2, 3 etc

This is caused by the CMOS battery on the motherboard being dead, and everytime you restart your computer or turning it off, you lose the settings in bios. Corrective action, replace the battery. It is a silver coin shaped battery about the size of a quarter. it should be a CR2032 battery and they can be purchased for about $3 at Walmart, or about $5 at Radio Shack. Or if you have a local Computer Shop in your area they wuld have them, most major stores that would sell Electronics should have them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-diskette-drive-0-seek-failure-sata-0-1-2-3-etc.1066941/
Relevancy 73.53%

So far every once and a while when I boot my PC I get a black screen From there I can t do anything and must restart manually So far this has happened twice After restarting Windows XP says that the PC couldn t boot and to choose from a list of options such as Safe Mode or Start Normally I would like to add my PC has only been overclocked once And currently it is standard clock speeds I would like to include my specs so Windows XP Pro Service Pack Random Black Screen AMD Athlon X Brisbane GHz Dual Core CPU Biostar TForce SE ATX Motherboard Corsair Value Select GB MB x DDR - RAM eVGA e-GeForce GS KO MB Video Card Maxtor Diamondmax GB PATA- HDD Emprex Sony DVD-RW X Drive Lite-on DVD-RW X Drive SYBA PATA- PCI Controller Card Controls DVD-RW Drives Raidmax RX- A Volcano W Power Supply Thermaltake mm Blue LED Fans x Generic mm Red LED Fan Random Black Screen x Thanks in advance EDIT I am Random Black Screen in the process of degrading my video drivers to from nbsp

A:Random Black Screen

just a note to u the video drivers 93.71 are good, if u had a good download and should not be a problem. I have never used the 94.24 so I am not going to speak for them but have never downloaded them although I have a 7800gs that I have an older computer with the 97.92 drivers on and it works well. although I do not know how much gameing she does.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/random-black-screen.82301/
Relevancy 73.53%

ok, this may be a repetitive thread, i seen it all here, but none seem to work for me.

okay, so let's go down to business.

Specs?

symptoms.
random black screen.
black screen seems to be most prominent when changing tabs (tasks in the task bar)
in browsers
when then display goes back, there are black rectangles in some parts of the screen.
fails to respond (no signal) in monitor (not a monitor problem, checked.)
sometimes when reboot, the wallpaper is black.
when there is no signal (monitor) the light of the Unit is still on, but all USB devices are off (my mouse dies O.e)

please help. much appreciated. >:D

Try booting into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key when first starting the computer. See if there's any change. If you aren't having the problem in Safe Mode, try updating your nVidia drivers. They constantly have new drivers available.

You could also try lowering your graphics acceleration. Right click on your desktop, go to Properties>>Settings>>Advanced>>Troubleshoot.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/random-black-screen-589346.html
Relevancy 73.53%

I installed Windows 7 Home Professional today. It has crashed twice. Both times it was while I was using Adobe After Effects (maybe coincidence?). The screen goes all black while I am using my computer, and absolutely nothing will wake it back up. My power light is still on, and my battery is not dead. The only way to get back on is to power it off and restart it. I've lost quite a bit of work so any help is appreciated.

Mucho Thanks!

Is there anything significant being logged at the time in either the system or the application event log (run EVENTVWR)?

Are there any DMP files in \Windows\Minidump? If so, can you please move them to another location on your system, zip them up, and upload here.

If the answer to both questions above is "no", then there's not a lot to go on. As a suggestion, make sure your BIOS and video, NIC, chipset... drivers are all up-to-date. If the problem is caused by software issues, it'll be either the BIOS or a buggy driver. Updates may fix the issue.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/31496-random-black-screen.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Hey guys In short my computer screen will black out when ever I do Screen Black Random go full screen with any application including youtube and recently when uploading photos from my camera to Photoshop elements This is the history of the problem Gateway FX - e i processor ATI Radeon Graphics card quot HD Gateway Smart Screen Vista months of the problem switch to Windows problem still present Random Black Screen The problem first presented itself i believe has been months now when I updated the graphics card Once I had updated the screen cut out and I had to manually cold shut down the machine I restarted the computer and it wouldn t even make it past the password I restarted in safe mode disabled the gfx driver and restarted This brought my computer back to life but was only using the basic display driver I preformed a rollback on the driver to no avail Same issues Did a system restore no help Did a system restore to the earliest date saved no help I uninstalled everything ATI related and only installed the driver no help However uninstalled that Random Black Screen driver and installed a previous version i could then get past the Random Black Screen password screen but no full screen I then installed the Catilyst Control Center and but it would not load due to a control software in Vista I disabled that and it still wouldn t work SO I loaded an old version of CCC with the brand new version of the gfx driver and I was back in shape but still no full screen I just got Windows to try and the problem still persists Whew this has been going on for quite some time I know my HD was getting hot the first months i had it Is it possible that my GFX card is shot Cause it seems it can t even handle a full screen youtube video or any conversion where the screen might flicker to reset Please help running out of ideas Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 73.53%

I'm having an issue with this laptop. The screen will suddenly go black and doesn't respond to mouse or keyboard. The only thing that works is a hard reset. It seems to happen more when the pc is idle but not exclusively and it is very intermittent. It could black screen within a minute or an hour.screen power options are set to never, screensaver is off.I've reinstalled intel graphics drivers, checked hdd for errors and have now done a factory reset. Could this be a hardware issue?  Any input would be great,  thanks.  

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/B51-80-random-black-screen/td-p/3318174
Relevancy 73.53%

ok this is like the 4th problem with my computer i have posted here, i fix one thing on this computer and another pops up..

totally random intervals, but approximately once every minute or so, my screen flashes black, for like 1/2 of a second. it looks as if it turned off and turned back on, it does this using internet or playing a game or whatever else you can think of, umm ok it just did it and my comp seemed to freeze for 2 seconds afterwards.... its done it 3 times so far while typing this post. how do i stop this ???

A:random black screen

Start by trying another monitor. If it still happens, then try a different video card. Most likely it's one of those two. Maybe your video card is overheating... Try lowering your refresh rate as well. To do that, right click on the desktop, go to properties, then settings..then advanced, then monitor. try that for now.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/random-black-screen.116720/
Relevancy 73.53%

Hello Techspot community!

I recently reinstalled Windows Vista on my Dell Inspiron 1721 Notebook. During the installation, I completely cleared the C Drive and kept the recovery drive and went on with normal reinstallation.

After this, I installed World of Warcraft including the new expansion Wrath of the Lich King.

Now, my problem is that when I am playing World of Warcraft, my computer monitor randomly goes black. It wont allow me to hit the power button to put it into sleep mode. It only allows me to hold the power button in and completely shut off and reboot the computer.

I am not sure at all what the problem is. To my knowing, I am completely up to date on all of my drivers and such, but I am just not sure what is causing the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

A:Random Black Screen During WoW

what are the specs on your notebook?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/random-black-screen-during-wow.117914/
Relevancy 73.53%

i have an alien ware with a pentium 4 and a radeon 64mddr video card and run xp. for what ever reason i cant figure out, my screen will go blank when i play wow and only wow. it can take up to an hour b4 it happens or just a min. i have to put my comp to sleep and that will sometimes get a pic back after my comp wakes back up other wise i have to reboot completly. it didnt to this when i first got the comp from a friend about 6months ago. its only just started doning it maybe bout 2 months ago. im lost on it and have no idea what i can do to fix.​

A:black screen at random

Sounds like a heat issue. Have you opened the case and checked the fans lately?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-at-random.971485/
Relevancy 73.53%

I've just built my new PC. I was having some problems with Win7 installation because it kept black screening, but somehow got past it. But it now seems it moved onto my PC. It just randomly happens. I attempt to turn on my PC, but knowing I only have limited time (5-15 minutes until my monitor black screens, PC still running, so I have to restart my whole PC just to get it started again). Please help! I just built the PC yesterday, and installed Win7 yesterday also. But I tried it out today, and this happened.

A:Random Black Screen on New PC

Give us some more details on the issue and what you have tried to resolve it.

I would start with checking temps of the machine from boot until issues to see if you can rule that out
You could run furmark or similar to stress test the gfx and/or uninstall-reinstall gfx drivers or roll back to an older driver although if the machine was black screening during installation ie outside of windows environment then it wont be drivers and is more likely to be a hardware issue

Check event viewer/windows logs for any repeat errors or entries leading up to problem
May be worth manually getting a msinfo32 file from your machine and uploading to us to have a look we may be able to get some info from this
Start>msinfo32>enter then save and upload

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/376553-random-black-screen-new-pc.html
Relevancy 73.53%

The laptop is mostly used at school by my son. Screen goes black in the middle of activities or class without any warning. Happened in middle of exam or when making homework. Need to push the start button again and computer starts working again. Bought it 3 month ago.   Charging cord unplugged most of the time. Charging the computer only in the evening.  Happens sometimes only a few minutes after putting it on. Sometimes after 1 hour, at random. Does not matter how full the battery is. At least once a week. What should we do?

http://community.acer.com/t5/E-and-M-Series-Laptops/E5-575-screen-goes-black-at-random-Even-after-only-15-min-use/td-p/460683
Relevancy 73.53%

First, try understand, my english is poor xd

In games i get black screen, without sound loop or anything similar
just black screen and the system freeze, the fans still spinning
the only way to back in windows is shutdown the computer, reset do nothing

black screen may appear after 5min of playing, 3 hours, 8 hours, etc

System

(Fresh Install)
Windows 7 SP1 with all the updates
Intel i5 2500k With Coolermaster GeminII S
MSI HD7870 Last drivers
Corsair 2x2GB 1600Mhz XMS3
Asus P8Z68-V Last Bios
Western Digital 500GB Sata3 16MB
Coolerasterm GX650w

Never OC

Software installed

Office 2013
MSI Afterburner and HWINFO64 (for check temps and usage % in games)
Origin for EA Games
IMGBurn
Chrome
and that is..

also i check the event log and all errors are "Kernel Power 41 (63)"

Kernel Power 41 is "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first"
Probably is from you having to shut the power off to restart it.

Lets get a look at the temps and voltages under load give us a screen shot of the Hardware Monitor window.

D/L and run Hardware Monitor do something intense like a virus scan or gaming for a bit, Alt+Tab back to HWM expand all the trees and use the Win7 snipping tool to grab a screen shot of the HWM window, post the screen shot using the paperclip button in the advanced message box(Go Advanced button).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/random-black-screen-691353.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Is this most likely the LCD needs replacing or the Data cable to the Motherboard?

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/random-black-screen/td-p/454387
Relevancy 73.53%

Hello friends, I recently got the Gnome desktop environment on the Ubuntu Software Center, and I used the gdm and startx command as said by another forum site. Nothing wrong, they said to logout, tried to login again, goes to a black screen and sends me back to the Ubuntu login screen. Tried again, same result, panicked. Looked up video tutorial on how to fix it, they said to access the control panel via ctrl-alt-f1 or f2, went to a black screen, no text at all, computer runs fine, no crashing. Is there a special way to access the terminal in a System76 computer, I really don't know very confusing? Is there a way to login with the guest session? I use Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf on my laptop. What causes this, I read on Ubuntu forums it's driver issues with Ubuntu and Nvidia, but I have my suspections with the Gnome desktop environment.

https://malwaretips.com/threads/ubuntu-login-black-screen-then-login-screen-loop-for-a-system76-oryx-pro-laptop.55688/
Relevancy 72.67%

My receptionist's PC stopped working this morning after a standard Monday morning reboot and I found that the hard drive wasn't being recognized The hard drive was making some interesting noises so I figured it was bricked Some background Six months ago the hard drive that came with this computer started having errors so I backed it up and created a restore point and installed a new hard drive which I restored to Everything has been fine since that I got a drive failure, restore screen Windows boot. after black hard 7 after new hard drive today and installed it I booted to a windows rescue boot CD and was able to restore to last Friday's restore point without any errors Once the Windows restore finished and rebooted it began printing to a dot matrix printer we use for invoices I paused the printer and went to look at the PC to find a black screen It appears to be running evidenced by the printing from whatever was left in the printer spool but I was Windows 7 restore after hard drive failure, black screen after boot. getting nothing on the screen I rebooted and the CMOS comes up and outputs to the screen but once it goes to boot into windows it blacks out again after the Starting Windows animation I rebooted to the rescue CD and that boots fine outputs to the screen without a problem I understand that all of this points to a graphics issue on-board graphics card which has not changed since purchasing the PC I've tried every variation of booting to safe mode and booting normally I'm now running the restore again took two hours last time Just looking for some pointers on what I might be doing wrong This computer has all of my company's Quickbooks data on it along with a lot of other important company information Any idea how to fix this Thank you

A:Windows 7 restore after hard drive failure, black screen after boot.

FWIW:  Actually, I think QB stores all customer data online from what I've seen...the customers seem to only have the program and some shell files but I believe the actual data is at the QB site.  See Online Backups .

As to your video issues...I would do the normal test of first replacing current monitor with a different one.  If that one reflects nothing visual, then you know that the problem is the system, not the monitor.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/539544/windows-7-restore-after-hard-drive-failure-black-screen-after-boot/
Relevancy 72.67%

We just ran the latest windows updates on multiple windows Recent Win failure 7, screen del. Windows black alt ctrl 64bit, after - update professional bit computers nbsp Once the update runs the machine boots to the ctrl-alt-del screen for login If you hit ctrl-alt-del a black screen appears nbsp Then after a few seconds - it bounces back to the login screen but it is entirely blue - no option or login nbsp Each time you ctrl-alt-del you get the black screen then back to blue nbsp Same thing with safe mode safe with networking command prompt only etc nbsp This only appears to happen with auto logon disabled nbsp I've got multiple bit machines that are doing this Recent Windows update failure - Win 7, 64bit, black screen after ctrl alt del. We believe that we have a bit machine in the field that is doing the same thing so I'm not sure if it is truly limited to bit nbsp These machines are all running from a 'ghosted' image that we have been using for at least a year with no issues nbsp It appears after running the updates one by one that nbsp kb is the cause of the issue nbsp Anyone experience anything simular

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/af43b5f5-0887-45ca-9349-13e3a24056e8/recent-windows-update-failure-win-7-64bit-black-screen-after-ctrl-alt-del?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi,

Whenever i start my pc, after the window loading screen, my monitor will go into standby black screen mode although my cpu is still running. So i push the reset button and sometimes it will show disk boot failure and thus i push reset again. This time i succesfully load into the windows blue screen but it seemed to become extremely laggy which even the windows loading music sounds distorted. I reset for the 4th time and finally go into normal loading to windows.

I had to go thru all these steps recently and i not sure if the cause of the problem is due to my power supply unit, hard disk, RAM or mother board. Hope someone can help. Thanks.

Specs: P4 2.4 GHz, Win XP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-disk-boot-failure-laggy-loading-to-windows.580504/
Relevancy 72.67%

My wife has a computer with an ASUS P ND motherboard that s been failing to boot lately I m not sure what s causing it but it may be a motherboard problem so I m posting here Essentially what happens is that the BIOS boots partially including a successful sounding startup beep and then the screen goes black This had been occuring during the Windows boot process I run Vista the Windows -- motherboard to with boot, failure setup screen on black issue Potential logo would appear briefly and then the screen would go blank and the booting process Potential issue with motherboard -- failure to boot, black screen on setup would hang but now I m getting a message saying that the BIOS post failed and then the screen goes black I can then press delete to enter setup but the screen blacks several seconds afterwards Admittedly this may be a video card problem feel free to move it if so but my wife noticed no graphical artifacting or other signs of damage other than a Skyrim crash to desktop which is probably par for the course for the game For what it s worth she has a GeForce SLI setup of some kind I m not sure what but if it would be helpful I can check I ve tried reseating the cards and the bridge to no avail though immediately after doing this I was able to view the set-up screen successfully without the screen going blank further reboots led to the blanking set-up screen again Anyway if anyone has any suggestions as to the nature of this problem before I take it in for repairs I d greatly appreciate them I m pretty mystified and I ve not seen anyone discussing similar problems on the Internet nbsp

A:Potential issue with motherboard -- failure to boot, black screen on setup

It may very well be the motherboard or even the power supply... SLI setups require a lot of power

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/potential-issue-with-motherboard-failure-to-boot-black-screen-on-setup.176208/
Relevancy 72.67%

On the desktop a restore function was being searched for, it said there weren't any saved dates (Something along those lines) but on a reboot found an option to restore anyway so did that and it has now resulted in the computer loading up with just a black screen with the mouse movable.

I don't even know what buttons to press to get up a setup screen and maybe repair using the windows disk. Any advise?

A:Black start up screen with mouse - Happened after a windows restore failure

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/369307/black-start-up-screen-with-mouse-happened-after-a-windows-restore-failure/
Relevancy 72.67%

I searched and found a thread like this in the Archives, and I have a similar problem. My brand new computer running WinXP Pro randomly goes into sleep mode when im using it, (playing planetside, mostly). I have all of my power settings in windows turned off, it should never go into sleep mode, nevertheless when im in the middle of using it.

I saw it was suggested to disable something in the bios, and I have no idea what that is. FYI I am not too computer-advanced, so a detailed description as possible would be nice. I am running on:

ASUS K8V Deluxe Via-K8T800 Chipset

AMD Athlon-64 3000+ HT

Thanks for reading and any help I can get

A:Random Standby/Black screen

any ideas??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/random-standby-black-screen.212525/
Relevancy 72.67%

I purchased a new XPS 15 9550 with the upgraded graphics and it was delivered yesterday. I love the machine but from time to time the machine will flash followed by a black screen. This happens both on and off the doc (Dell dock type c). 
I have been updating drivers and bios and it appears it is happening more often. I am not doing any gaming or anything that graphics intensive. Are there any tricks for this? 
One thing I noticed is that even after updating the BIOS, the dell system detection still says the bios needs updating. Not sure if that matters or not. 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19996443
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi

Since Updating to Win 10 I have been crashing either while browsong or gaming almos daily basis. Other strange behaviour is CPU load goes to 100% when i Alt tab out of game to home screen from steam.
Also the video driver has stopped working for a bit, screen goes balck, then recovers. here is my PC

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/lssuhugaHxI7oe0Y6WzwLN1

Any help would be appreciated

thx!!

A:Random Crash - Black screen

by the way here is minitoolbox info. please help had another big crash where I had to turn off for 15 secs power supply to get pc to turn on again.

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 25-07-2015 01
Ran by rob (administrator) on 20-08-2015 at 21:46:56
Running from "C:\Users\rob\Downloads"
Microsoft Windows 10 Home  (X64)
Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M. Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (08/20/2015 07:05:47 PM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: mbam.exe, version: 2.3.55.0, time stamp: 0x557a2a02
Faulting module name: mbam.exe, version: 2.3.55.0, time stamp: 0x557a2a02
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x001de682
Faulting process id: 0x16dc
Faulting application start time: 0xmbam.exe0
Faulting application path: mbam.exe1
Faulting module path: mbam.exe2
Report Id: mbam.exe3
Faulting package full name: mbam.exe4
Faulting package-relative application ID: mbam.exe5

Error: (08/20/2015 07:04:28 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell) (User: rob-PC)
Description: Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI failed with error: -2144927141 See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

Error: (08/20/2015 04:32:25 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell) (User: rob-PC)
Description: Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI failed with error: -2144927141 See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

Error: (08/20/2015 10:28:56 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell) (User: rob-PC)

Error: (08/20/2015 12:54:51 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell) (User: rob-PC)

Error: (08/19/2015 06:03:38 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell) (User: rob-PC)

Error: (08/19/2015 01:19:51 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell) (User: rob-PC)

Error: (08/18/2015 11:08:03 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell) (User: rob-PC)

Error: (08/18/2015 07:56:00 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell) (User: rob-PC)

Error: (08/18/2015 07:00:51 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell) (User: rob-PC)

System errors:
=============
Error: (08/20/2015 09:45:20 PM) (Source: Schannel) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: A fatal alert was received from the remote endpoint. The TLS protocol defined fatal alert code is 20.

Error: (08/20/2015 09... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/587257/random-crash-black-screen/
Relevancy 72.67%

In the last few weeks I've had random Black Screens Of Death It can happen most of the time while playing a game but it has happened while the PC was idle rare and just now it happened as I was attempting to refresh the Win performance index Most of the time the screen goes black complete video signal loss and I have to hard reset On the Random Screen Black Death Of rare occasion it will go black then after a while crash Random Black Screen Of Death and dump The last minidump file I got is included here It seems fairly obvious that the issue is video related but I can't tell if it's the ATI drivers or a rd party driver causing havok with them I've been trying with zero success to get some Driver Verifier output Once I set Driver Verifier to check the rd party Random Black Screen Of Death drivers it bluescreens during the Windows splash screen and then reboots and loops What I did do was hit F during one of the loops and stopped it from rebooting on error so I could capture the detail of the bluescreen It's as follows Stop x E xFFFFFFFFC xFFFFF AD D x x I can't tell if this issue is related to my black screen issue I think the issue is driver related but can't prove it at this point and I'm having difficulty interpreting the addresses above I've run memtest for a couple of hours and no errors came up Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated Please find the required files attached here System Info --------- Windows x Ultimate SP Alienware OEM Age of system months CPU i - X Video Card ATI MotherBoard Alienware Power Supply W RAM Gig RAM - - - All BIOS versions and driver versions are the latest

A:Random Black Screen Of Death

Hello,

Black screens are normally caused by the Graphics Driver failing. I would make sure that you have the latest ATI drivers.

How long has this been happening? If you have done a recent driver update for the Graphics Card then I would roll back the driver and see if the problem persists.
Dave

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/203927-random-black-screen-death.html
Relevancy 72.67%

My computer is about a year old and just recently it has been completely shutting down while i am playing CSGO. Now it crashes if i'm watching someone play on Twitch, if i'm playing League of Legends, SC2, and yesterday crashed while i was playing bloons td battle. I tried doing a full scan for a virus and it crashed half way through that too.

I managed to do a Windows Memory Diagnostic and no errors came back so it isn't my ram. I don't think my comp is overheating either because when i check the temp its always near 50 Celsius and i have five fans including two 230mm fans. If someone could please try and help figure out why my computer is crashing i would be so happy.

A:Random Black Screen Crashes

What's near 50?C? There is more than one temperature to consider, have you checked your GPU temps? The 6670 is an entry level card so I wouldn't be surprised if that was struggling like hell.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/367172-random-black-screen-crashes.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Have an hp envy model 15-j073cl that has been randomly going to a black screen during use. When it goes to black screen the cpu fan is running and the hdd light goes off. Have restarted windows with the recovery tool twice and it did not help. Any ideas?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Random-black-screen-issue/td-p/5831676
Relevancy 72.67%

hi everyone I am new and hoping you guys could help me out I have a Toshiba notebook with a radeon hd The problem is that my computerscreen turns black randomly Not real black more like anthrazit the music plays on so i know its just the screen This happen more then twice a day and is really frustrating I think its a virus because last time when it turned black i heard the beeping sound of antivir when it repots a security attack But it could also be something else maybe vista related I had this problem before i had to turn in the computer to the seller he Herepaired it and sait it was the videocard and he put in a new one but one week it happened again I need my pc for studies screen Vista black random so i could not afford wait another to weeks for it back and i cant imagine that it was the video card Vista random black screen again One more thing it seems to happens more often when i am watching a movie in fullscreen wich is not to say it would not happen when i am just browsing If anyone knows this problem i very much apreciated any advice thank you nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-random-black-screen.791691/
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi, Heres my dilemma, I have a Acer 5050 that chooses to boot to black screen, (video fine on external monitor, but in low resolution). I updated xp, updated ATI driver to new one, set resolution to medium,rebooted and video comes back on notebook fine. Then I came back 2 hrs later and black screen again, I plug in external monitor again and its there, low res again. I set video to factory default settings in ATI control panel and rebooted, video fine again! Seems like if I leave it for an hour or two it goes back to black screen. Could this be a battery issue? I see the battery is very weak. Acer has a management program on it to control video, etc. I don't know if that could be suspect too.

A:Random black screen on boot

i think i have the same problem as you... i looked up other threads and they said to change the power supply. I dont know how to do this, but you might.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/random-black-screen-on-boot.769820/
Relevancy 72.67%

Hello everyone I have been experiencing random crashes on my newly built pc and so far every atempt I've made at trying to find a crash and Black screen Random solution Random Black screen and crash have failed At first it seems to be quite random but some program seem to make it crash every time I use them The symptoms are as follows -black screen though sometimes it shows colored stripes instead of total black -hdd still active for - seconds then no activity light whatsoever -sound loops -even num lock is unresponsive -a signal is still sent through the graphics card as the TV does not show the usual quot No input signal quot when there's well no input -no reboot I have to manually reset the PC -no dump files My setup is -MSI P A-C B -i k not overclocked - x Gb G Skill Ripjaws X cl not overclocked with and without XMP profile activated but I had to set the right timings in bios as it showed instead of -Sapphire HD not overclocked -Antec HCG W -WD Caviar Blue TB -image is sent to a LG LH LCD TV via HDMI I've tried everything from reinstalling graphics drivers old new preview to reinstalling windows I'm on the bits version It does not seem to be a hardware failure since every test or burn I make is succesful and does not cause any problem Graphics card does not go over C with Furmark and handles every game perfectly CPU does not go over C under Primer MEMTEST did not show any error during the passes it did and I also tried switching the slots in which they were installed I did a speedfan log along with a Furmark log until it crashed and they show correct readings PSU delivers good voltage on the V V in BIOS Heck I even tried on a different wall plug in case the one I was using was faulty Nothing seems to correct my problem One thing I noticed I tried launching Bioshock Steam version It runs perfectly when I play immediatly but whenever I try updating it via Game for Windows Live it crashes anytime between login and installing the update But this crash is not game related it did have the same crash a few times while on the desktop doing nothing special The first time this black screen appeared was when I switched from Basic Windows Theme to Aero after first OS installation It also happens during loading screens or menu in some games Shogun BC but never happens while gaming Anyone knows what could be the cause of this It is very annoying frustrating AND worrysome because I don't know if it is a hardware problem or a software one A few questions -could this be caused by the TV Or the cheap HDMI cables I am using I've been using this on my laptop previously and never had any problems -Bad OS installation Even though I installed it twice already Maybe the DVD is damaged i burnt it a while ago but the OS still installed even though it had errors - bits version -Graphics card failure -software driver conflict -anything else Thanks for having read all this and thanks in advance for helping me I really don't know what to do

A:Random Black screen and crash

Here is the zip archive containing the files from SF Diagnostic Tool. Sorry, some of it is in French (my computer language) but ask me for any translation if necessary. Thank you!

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/156976-random-black-screen-crash.html
Relevancy 72.67%

hey i tried to install my video card. I followed the instructions in the manual and used the wizard on the CD. However when I have to reboot the computer, the screen goes black and stays black displaying some random white vertical lines. This happens either right in the middle of setup or during the startup. how do i install it correctly? It's a Radeon 9200 btw

Relevancy 72.67%

Hi This is my first post I apologise if I make any mistakes I have been experiencing random black screens occurring This can happen any time from right after I press the power-on button before after POST before after windows loading screen sometimes even shortly after [SOLVED] Screen Random Black I have successfully logged into my windows account My current solution to this is to continuously restart the computer till the black screen does not appear Before this problem started sometimes my computer would black out if too many programs were running Sometimes it would recover sometimes I would have to restart the computer I have tried to plug in and out the gfx card power connections however the problem is not resolved Could I ask where is the source of the problem [SOLVED] Random Black Screen and what method should be used in fixing it Your assistance would be greatly appreciated Here are some details This computer was self-assembled Windows XP Version SP AMD Athlon [SOLVED] Random Black Screen Processor GHZ NVDIA GeForce GT

A:[SOLVED] Random Black Screen

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Try using Safe Mode to run the computer and see whether the problem persists.

To boot in to Safe Mode, do the following:
Press the ON button and start tapping the F8 key ... and keep tapping ... until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu". Use your UP/DOWN arrows to select "Safe Mode" and press the Enter key.

There will be no internet access in Safe Mode.

Please post back with the result, and that may give someone a better idea of what might be happening.
----------------
When you say "black screen" .... does that mean that the computer continues to run normally ... even though the screen display has blacked out? Does your keyboard still work? Do you see any evidence that the mouse may still be working? Does the computer slow/freeze at any time with or without the screen blacking out?
------------
The only other thing that comes to mind immediately .... replace the PSU (power supply unit) with a reliable one ... and see whether the problem persists.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-random-black-screen-397311.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi all I have DIYed a PC weeks ago for gaming internet purpose with the following config - ASRock Z Pro -M MB - Intel i G CPU - Team Elite DDR x G Ram - WD Caviar Blue GB HD - Sapphire HD Vapor-X OC G GDDR - FSP W Aurum Gold PSU - Windows bit Ultimate However it got randomly freeze and black screen in windows in different scenario - Freeze at Screen Saver - Freeze after away for a few mins - Freeze during Skype Gameplay with repeat sound playing during freeze - New Screen on Random PC Freeze/Black Black screen during Shutdown - gt Windows Random Freeze/Black Screen on New PC Update Installing Basically it can freeze any time after starting up without special observable pattern One thing is that it usually - freeze during the first minutes after starting up windows However sometimes it can work for a few hours normally after the -minutes time What I've done so far but the problem still persist - WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic v Quick Test Extended Test - gt No Error Found - Memtest overnight for passes - gt No Error or Hang - Stress Stability Test in OCCT FurMark Prime Aida - gt Temperate of CPU GPU up to C seems normal and no freeze during test - Power Supply Test in OCCT - gt The voltage seems stable - Update BIOS to the latest version - Installed Windows XP SP -bit - gt Same problem - Adjust the Ram Voltage from Auto to V - The voltage in BIOS seems normal within range - Disabled quot Link State Power Management quot in Power Options - Testing in progress Boot Random Freeze/Black Screen on New PC into Safe Mode w Networking - gt No Random Freeze/Black Screen on New PC problem so far for hours I'm not sure if it's software driver issue or hardware problem It doesn't look like problem of Ram HD given the test results I was using Laptop before I don't have any spare parts to switch in for testing individual part now I saw in PSU forum that FSP is not good I'm thinking to buy another good one as suggested in PSU forum but the PSU is new and there are so far no freeze in safe mode DOS testing programs I'm not sure if it's PSU issue I have been searching in Google and tried the things I found but still no clue at all Please advise anything I can do further to locate remedy the issue

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/random-freeze-black-screen-on-new-pc-650538.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I've had this before but can't remember what I did to stop it
It Is exactly like you pull the dvi/hdmi lead out of monitor/gpu everything still working i.e. if playing video on youtube it carries on playing just no picture.
I think it was something to do with Intel's built in gpu, but I have disabled it everywhere I can think of bios, device manager etc.
Can anyone through some light on this please as it's startingto annoy me now

My rig specs in sig.

A:Random black screen, rig stays on !!

When does this occur? At random? Only when videos/games are playing? Also, what is the exact behavior? Is the monitor giving off behavior as if it has lost its video source, like an error saying the source was lost or it is switching through different connections to find one? Can you tell if your system is locked up, or if it's still accepting your input? The best way to determine thsi is to have the display lost when playing a video, then pressing a key to stop/start playback.

If the monitor is acting like it's not connected to the PC, then it can be a bad video port on your card, a bad/loose video cable, or the monitor itself has a bad port or is just plain bad. You will want to start with potential physical suspects before dabbling with software. Have you tried actually running the video through your onboard video (make sure to enable it and stuff of course) instead of your graphics card and see if that worked?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/243035-random-black-screen-rig-stays.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hey guys This just happened a few hours ago I was playing a game when suddenly the screen froze and poped up a small bsod and screen. Random black BSOD then black screen Btw this is a laptop running Win Ultimate I force shut down my laptop and tried turning it on again the screen Random BSOD and black screen. stayed black but the power wifi and caps lock keys have lights So I thought its still booting up Random BSOD and black screen. Next thing I did was connect the laptop to an external monitor via vga Instantly the diaplay appeared altho after the BIOS boot up it gave me the chance to select safe mode options and normal boot I tried booting it normally but it gave me the bsod error and this is what it says quot A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed standard bsod message Random BSOD and black screen. here Technical information STOP x atikmpag sys - Address goes here standard bsod message dump message quot Ok and then after that I tried installing the ati drivers while on safe boot and it failed I havent tried reinstalling a new copy of windows or reformatting so any suggestions what might have caused this and how can I solve it I do feel that its not a hardware issue since it can run on safe boot fine with the external monitor

A:Random BSOD and black screen.

Post it following the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/300628-random-bsod-black-screen.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hey all.

So for a good while now, I've had this problem with my laptop where it'll do the usual Blue Screen stuff, just without the actual Blue Screen (the screen goes completely black); this usually happens just after a file from the Internet has finished downloading, though it has also happened while the laptop is idling.

As someone who really dislikes asking for help, I attempted to analyse the dumps myself and find people with similar problems, though I could never come to a conclusion as to what's wrong. So here I am, asking you guys.

The steps in the BSoD posting guide produced a .zip file with the two dumps from the minidump folder, though it excluded the dump in the Windows folder; would it be beneficial to post that one up too?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/395274-random-black-screen-death.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Heya My first post on yet another forum and though I really really wish start, Death, crashes random failure of to Screen Blue I didn t have to post here nothing against you guys as I m sure you understand I might as well try and Blue Screen of Death, failure to start, random crashes make it count right So this is my issue For a few days now my laptop has been having some pretty major issues It started when Blue Screen of Death, failure to start, random crashes I tried to start it up one day and it failed to do so My CPU fan started running at its highest speed much higher than usual when my laptop starts up the status lights on my computer blinked once and then nothing happened The screen remained blank not even on and my CPU fan just kept going I let it run for a few thinking that maybe it was just having a slow start for some reason but to no avail So I tried a few more times and then on a whim decided to try removing my battery and just letting my power cord run juice to the computer and it started I put the battery back in logged on and discovered that for some reason my keyboard wasn t registering anything Nor was my touch pad I had been using an external laser mouse which worked just fine I restarted without issue and the keyboard worked just fine once more It ran fine for about hours or so after that and then it Blue Screened on me I decided to just let it be for the night and went to bed The next day I tried to start it up again and the same start up problems greeted me This time I managed to get it to start by just letting it run on battery power instead of AC power it hadn t started while plugged in or while plugged in and with a battery present but when I tried to plug it in again after it started to load Windows it froze up and crashed auto-restarting me and sending me to the Safe Mode prompt I tried booting with the most recent working configuration and it got me all the way to the point where I was logging in and then it crashed again I restarted it and F d my way to the Safe Mode prompt and started it in Safe Mode and all was well While in Safe Mode I checked all my hardware all reported as working properly by the Device Manager and ran a virus scan using the most up-to-date AVG Anti-Virus the scan found nothing Then I did a system restore to a point where my computer was most definitely just fine and restarted It let me get all the way logged in before the screen suddenly went black this time it was still on - it s that kind of black that you get when you re loading a full-screen application and sat there So I restarted but it Blue Screened while loading up Windows this time so I left it be and came for help here So any ideas I really don t even begin to know where to start - it seems like a hardware issue but at the same time it also seems sort of like a virus But none of the tools I have at my disposal have found that to be the case Help System specs as I can remember them - no access to that computer and all OS Windows XP Pro SP Motherboard Something Asus not sure of specifics CPU Pentium M Ghz with best chip set available for the Pentium M series RAM gig DDR x GPU nVIDIA GeForce Go Sound Realtek Hi-Def Integrated ADDENDUM I poked around a bit more and actually managed to get what kind of Blue Screen error it is STOP x F Also now my icons are blurring and doing strange things as is my mouse and random other graphical issues - even in Safe Mode Last time my computer crashed it skipped the BSOD and instead went black with clusters of white lines shooting horizontally through it before trying and failing to reboot nbsp

A:Blue Screen of Death, failure to start, random crashes

...anyone?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blue-screen-of-death-failure-to-start-random-crashes.591896/
Relevancy 71.81%

I built a computer and while I was carrying out a standard restart the power supply w died with a loud pop and a flash I purchased another power supply w installed it and it worked which was a relief because it ment that the motherboard wasn t fried However Windows would not start and through the BIOS I was able to determine that the computer did not detect the HDD or the CD-RW drive that was previosly Screen Boot Error Problems...Black Failure Drive Reading: Disk installed Worried I removed both drives and then installed just the HDD with a new IDE cable Luckly this worked and I preceeded to install the CD-RW drive But now the system will not boot completely and I receive an error message but the computer now detects both drives correctly HDD is master CD-RW is Slave Error is as follows Drive Problems...Black Screen Error Reading: Disk Boot Failure NVIDIA Boot Agent - NVIDIA Corp - Intel Corp then seconds later PXE-E Media test failure check cable PXE-MOF Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent Disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter Any Help would be greatly appreciated If you need and specific spec of my computer don t hesitate to ask nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/drive-problems-black-screen-error-reading-disk-boot-failure.84463/
Relevancy 71.81%

I'm getting the black screen with movable cursor or KSOD Black Screen Of Death on Windows (Black Vista Black Of Death) Screen screen or with cursor movable KSOD Vista Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista What happens The system powers on POST BIOS Start windows normally Windows splash screen - gt Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista Black screen lt - What I can do I CAN enter BIOS and have reset the default settings I CAN press F to give me advanced boot options but all options have the same result apart from quot Repair your computer quot I CAN load the quot Repair your computer quot option I CAN move the mouse around the screen I CAN press shift times to get a dialogue to appear but no control panel I CAN press the power button to shut down the system I CAN start up in safe Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista mode which is exactly the same but with lower resolution I CANNOT seem to do anything else However there are workarounds to accessing the hard drive I CAN use MSDaRT or the System Recovery Tool I CAN use the hard drive as an external USB hard drive on another machine What I've tried Startup Repair - Could not detect a problem System Restore - No restore points Windows Complete PC Restore - A valid restore location could not be found Windows Memory Diagnostics - No errors SFC Scan - No problems Stand alone system sweeper - No problems Hotfix Uninstall - Nothing to uninstall I also COULD do a partial or full quot Packard Bell Recovery quot which is essentially like reinstalling windows I DO NOT want to do this I'm sure this is just a simple software issue really and I would rather avoid a reinstall Can anyone recommend what steps I should try to resolve this Thanks

A:Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista

I think I saw this post aver at Toms but I also think you gave some additional info.
I think what may be going on it during the switch from the windows low res video driver to the driver used in normal mode.

Since you can get into safe mode try to go to device manager.
Start|right click computer|properties|device manager.
Look in the display adapter.
Is there a yellow exclamation mark there?
Or is it showing the video that you know should be there?
Please post the video that the machine uses and or the PB model.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-with-movable-cursor-or-ksod-black-screen-of-death-vista-410636.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi everyone I am having a non-fatal yet excruciatingly irritating problem with my dad s desktop PC Lately when the PC is booted up the screen will often not start up i e It displays quot No cable detected quot and then the green light turns orange and screen then goes totally blank It seems to have popped out of nowhere I thought that it might have been the Screen. Random Solved: Please Bootup Black Help! new sound card Asus Xonar Essense STX that we installed a few weeks ago causing the problem but if it was that then I would have had this problem earlier and the sound card is functioning fine I suspect that the graphics card is for some reason not being detected Solved: Random Bootup Black Screen. Please Help! and loaded at boot by the BIOS all of a sudden as I can click around randomly after computer starts up properly and can login to Windows with no display still so I think Solved: Random Bootup Black Screen. Please Help! that rules out CPU and RAM If the computer starts up properly screen works then everything works I can play Call of Duty World at War with most settings at full and no problem with the graphics card when running It isn t just the graphics card s DVI port as it also happens with VGA I m pretty sure it s not the monitor Proline MON LCD that s the problem I can actually get the computer to start up properly right at the start if i press the reset button on the computer while it is booting up if I have no screen signal but that s probably not healthy for the PC I don t really know where to go from here I m no expert on computer hardware Any help would be highly appreciated Thanks System Info ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack v bit Processor Intel R Pentium R Dual CPU E GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GT Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd G M-ES C x x Antivirus avast Antivirus Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ nbsp