Windows Support Forum

How many cores power your primary machine?

Q: How many cores power your primary machine?

I know we had a thread on this in April of last year but what I really want is a poll so I can quickly see the numbers. What I'm trying to see is how many people are running 3 core machines and how many people have 6 core procs. Keep in mind I want to know actually cores, not the number of simultaneous threads you can run. Also, if you're using a multiprocessor machine please add up your cores. Also, if you have a triple core machine but it's not your primary I would appreciate it if you would post so in the thread.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: How many cores power your primary machine?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: How many cores power your primary machine?

Work related question or just curiosity?

I run 2 cores now in almost everything I physically use. I have a single core system that runs and does stuff for me nearly 24/7, but I almost never sit in front of it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-many-cores-power-your-primary-machine.171334/
Relevancy 56.33%

Well, I've heard something today that struck me as odd. A lot of AMD processors that are sold in laptops and desktops are sold with with cores disabled. Has anyone heard of anything like this? I work at Best Buy and my manager told me that a lot of the AMD processors are sold with a core disabled by default.

I've been searching the web for an explanation as to why AMD would sell their processors like that but can't find anything. Does anyone know why dual core AMD processors would be set to work as single cores by default?

A:Dual Cores Sold Working as Single Cores!?

This kind of thing is not at all unusual in the computer industry. There could be a variety of reasons, here are a couple off the top of my head:
- one core is damaged or not up to spec
- there is a shortage of the single core machines and AMD has commitments to meet
- due to the economies of scale, it might be cheaper to have a single "production line" instead of two.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-cores-sold-working-as-single-cores.754313/
Relevancy 56.33%

Well, I've heard something today that struck me as odd. A lot of AMD processors that are sold in laptops and desktops are sold with with cores disabled. Has anyone heard of anything like this? I work at Best Buy and my manager told me that a lot of the AMD processors are sold with a core disabled by default.

I've been searching the web for an explanation as to why AMD would sell their processors like that but can't find anything. Does anyone know why dual core AMD processors would be set to work as single cores by default?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/amd-dual-cores-sold-as-defaulted-to-single-cores.754321/
Relevancy 55.47%

I'm looking at laptops, specifically the HP Probook and Pavillion lines and I find the difference between 2 and 4 cores confusing. Would 2 2.4GHz cores generally be better than 4 1.6GHz cores? I'm guessing most modern games and media software support 4 cores.

The laptops I'm looking at are: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/233122 and http://www.ebuyer.com/product/226839
The pavillion looks a bit more powerful to me - better graphics, bigger cache, expandable RAM, but it doesn't appear to have SDRAM, and while it has more cores, the cores aren't as quick (at least in clock speed). So which one is the better buy?

Relevancy 55.47%

Hello guys So thanks to some awesome TS members valuable input I put together this PC knowing that I will be using the IGP for a while until I get - Cores Cores Underclock Overclock A10-6800K to CPU AMD GPU dedicated GPU s and I am actually really satisfied with the performance Essentially there isn t a game that s unplayable with the APU even AMD A10-6800K - Underclock CPU Cores to Overclock GPU Cores handling the newest titles with High graphical settings quite well Now I may not be getting incredible frame rates usually - FPS for a system without a dedicated GPU that s pretty damn good if you ask me Now my question is - I pushed the GPU cores on the CPU from default MHz to MHz and the system is working flawlessly I get no crashes while gaming If I push it to MHz games will start crashing and the system becomes slightly unstable Now is this the max I can push the GPU frequency If I underclocked the CPU cores is there a possibility I could crank up the GPU cores furhter Also I just adjusted the frequency I did not do anything with the voltage and I am not sure if I should but could it be a voltage issue Any input is highly appreciated but the MHz overclock makes a huge impact on gaming performance it would be awesome if I could push it even further until I get a dedicated GPU nbsp

A:AMD A10-6800K - Underclock CPU Cores to Overclock GPU Cores

Are you using the stock air cooler for cooling the APU or do you have an aftermarket cooler? If you are running the stock cooler, I would suggest NOT trying to push for the max stable overclock. What are your temps with your current overclock settings and running a demanding game?
I don't believe you can push the GPU higher by underclocking the CPU. Yes it will technically reduce some heat, but you will achieve best overall overclock by following directions below.
I suggest you overclock the integrated GPU before you overclock the CPU, since the GPU is the limiting factor here. If you go too high with the CPU clock, it can get really difficult to raise the GPU core clock. Start off with stock settings for the CPU and and keep bumping your GPU settings up until they are unstable. Once found unstable, take the settings down 1 notch and start overclocking the CPU settings. Repeat process as you did with the GPU. If you want to adjust the voltage after determining your max overclock with stock voltage, I would suggest doing so in small increments. Bump the voltage up a little at a time and repeat the same processes above with overclocking. Do NOT bump up the voltage above 1.5 volts (1.55v is the official max voltage supported by the APU before it gets damaged).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-a10-6800k-underclock-cpu-cores-to-overclock-gpu-cores.208142/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello,

I am trying to install XP SP3 on a Virtual Machine using Oracle VM software. I have XP on a cd and once the installation starts I get this message: File i386 vgaoem.fon could not be loaded. The error code is 4. How can I resolve this issue or is there some sort of insurmountable conflict? I am running Vista Home Premium on my laptop. Will someone please help, as this is driving me crazy.

A:Trying to Install XP On Oracle Virtual Machine: Vista Primary OS

Quote:

File i386 vgaoem.fon could not be loaded. The error code is 4.

Sounds like there is a problem with your XP disc, it is either scratched or the CD rom drive is not reading properly. Clean the disc thoroughly. Try a different CD or CD drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/trying-to-install-xp-on-oracle-virtual-machine-vista-primary-os-654581.html
Relevancy 54.61%

One of my pc machines has died. If I take the primary drive out of that machine and put it it in a usb hard drive enclosure, can I just connect it to another machine thru the usb port and copy the data on it (not OS) to my working machine? Both machines are Windows XP. Or is there a better way?

Thank you for help.

A:copy info from a primary hard drive of a dead machine.

Yes you can! That is the easiest and best way to do it. When you attach your old drive to a USB enclosure or to use a USB Adapter, the drive comes up as another drive in my Computer. (if the HDD hasn't failed, it just can't boot.) Then you can copy your data to the new computer. You then can format the drive and use it as an external backup drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/copy-info-from-a-primary-hard-drive-of-a-dead-machine-609447.html
Relevancy 53.32%

ok so im looking to buy a computer but i dont understand how these cores are running in the computer

eg

eg http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...u=056078&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null

it says 2.1 ghz dual core, now what i want to know is that

is each core running at 2.1 ghz? or the overall 2 cores is at 2.1 ghz?

also when it says 2.4ghz quad core how many ghz is each core?

A:need help about dual cores & quad cores

It means 2 cores, each running at 2.1. This does not mean you get a 4.2, but 2x 2.1 . For multi tasking its great, and more and more apps are supporting it.
For a quad, irs 4 cores each at 2.4 , same as above

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-about-dual-cores-quad-cores.753853/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hey,

At the moment i have a 3.0GHZ Core 2 duo E6750,
Would it be worth it upgrading to a Core 2 Quad 6600 for GAMING.
I know quads are better for multitasking, but I'm more of a gamer than a graphics design and stuff,

So whats better for Games right now, My Dual core or a Quad,
and would i feel the performance boost?

Also, the 6600 is socket 775 right?

Thanks,
MaD

Relevancy 47.3%

I've got a home built PC, and am having problems with it. The DVD drive stopped working, so I swapped it out. After putting the new drive in, the machine suddenly wouldn't power up! Push the power button, and nothing! I know the power supply is working because the LED on the mobo is on. I checked the connection between the power switch and the mobo. I even disconnected the new DVD drive in case that was the problem. Still no luck.

Can someone please suggest how I should proceed with this? I've hit a wall.

Relevancy 47.3%

Hi everyone! I'm kind of concerned about my PSU and if its supplying enough power to my machine. I currently have a 460Watt PSU. Everything is running stable but I just wanna make sure my system is getting enough power.
Specs:
AMD Phenom ii x4 965 BE 3.4Ghz
12GB RAM
1TB HDD 5400 RPM
RADEON HD 6670 (400watt)
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit

Do I need an upgrade on a power supply or am I good with my 460W? I'm also planning on upgrading my graphics card to a gtx 660 which requires 450W. I don't know if I should stick with mine or get another. How much extra power do you need for your system?

A:Do I have enough power for my machine?

I would suggest moving to a better quality power supply like a Corsair or Seasonic. I have also read good things about Antec. Make sure they are 80 + Gold. Something in the 650W range. It gives you a smother current and volt plus room for your computer to grow. If possible a modular makes a very neat install and improves air flow. Once you have used a modular you won't go back to the old style.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/276439-do-i-have-enough-power-my-machine.html
Relevancy 47.3%

I have a e-machine with an athlon processor. The processors fan was making
a noise so I replace the fan on it. As soon as I replace the fan on it the computer
would not start. The power supply would not turn on or the computer would
not start at all. The fan in the power supply would not rotate. Nothing.
Any suggestions??
thank you,

Relevancy 46.44%

I have an Emachine running XP Home. When I put it in "sleep" mode I can't get the PC to start up. Even if I ue the power button, nothing happens. The only way that I can get it to boot up is by shutting the main power switch, then putting it back on and then using the power button. I've tried changing the power settings, using a restore point from a month ago but it still freezes in the dead zone. Any ideas? or Solutions?

A:E machine power problem

Hmm my toshiba does this occasionally when in standby mode, ever set the hd to never spin down on the pc?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/e-machine-power-problem.627957/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hey guys,
So, I'm building a new budget system for a family friend and I've run into a situation I haven't seen before. I finished it all up, and when I powered it up for the first time, I get drive activity (HDD and CD), POST (keyboard lights), single speaker beep, the works. However, I am getting no video signal. I've swapped out the video card to test it out (there is no onboard VGA on this board) and nothing. I put the VC in another system and tested it, and no problems. Same with RAM. I've double checked all the connections (it was late when I put it together ) still nothing. Any ideas?

Mobo: PC Chips M848A 2.1
Proc: AMD Semprom 2800+ (socket A)
PS: 450wt
VC: ATI 9250

A:No video on power up on new machine.

Have you tried starting in safe mode?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-video-on-power-up-on-new-machine.33409/
Relevancy 46.44%

I'm trying to replace a power supply for a friend on an E Machine Model W2888.

I contacted their tech support and they have sent two indentical power supples that did not start up when plugged in.

I called the the tech support for the power supply company and they said that their power supplies were not compatible with E Machines and that Gateway should have known better. Gateway denied that that brand was incompatible. Sorry I can't think of the brand right now.

Has anyone had this trouble? I know I don't have the particulars on the computer, but it is less than two years old. My friend said "forget it" and bought a new machine. If I can find a compatible power supply, my son gets to retire a really old Compaq.

Thank you

Relevancy 46.44%

Hi I have been given an eMachines PC to fix which properly not power off will Machine was completely dead on arrival I replaced the PSU with one of stronger grade and now it appears to be working normally apart from one strange behaviour Machine will not power off properly which I am unable to find the cause of The problem is that when the machine is powered down from the power switch or through a windows shutdown it does not turn off completely Instead the PSU fan continues to turn the mobo gfx card fans do not and the power amp HD lights flicker on off very quickly and continuously I can also hear the HD heads continuously clicking into place very quickly I have tried hooking another ATX power switch up to the main board but the behaviour is the same I have also removed everything except the memory from the board and also done a CMOS reset The new PSU is also OK I ve tested it in another machine It seems as though the ATX power off signal is getting messed up somewhere Has anyone seen this before I am hoping the mainboard isn t gubbed as I ve heard that a mobo replacement totally invalidates the emachines Windows XP license Is this true David nbsp

A:Machine will not power off properly

Check the Event Viewer. Do you see any errors referencing the BIOS?

Have you installed all the updates for XP, too?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/machine-will-not-power-off-properly.672843/
Relevancy 46.44%

I am running Vista Ultimate 32bit, I started getting this message yesterday and it says " Installing update 1 of 4 " and I havn't seen anything happening at all, what do I do or what is going on?

I would like some help please.

A:Please do not power off of unplug machine

Originally Posted by Coco107

I am running Vista Ultimate 32bit, I started getting this message yesterday and it says " Installing update 1 of 4 " and I havn't seen anything happening at all, what do I do or what is going on?

I would like some help please.

Hi Coco,

Does the circle animation keep spinning while its updating?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/180445-please-do-not-power-off-unplug-machine.html
Relevancy 46.44%

HI,
I have an E-machine i turned it off normal way from start menu, but when i want turn it on there is no electricity, the power supply does not work anymore.i want replace it so am asking if any power supply will work? caus i tried 2 of my old pc but none worked.here is my pc informations.
E-Machine : MODEL:W4682.
Power supply :Model : ATX-250E-12V.REV7
Input :100-127V-6A. 200-240V-3A.60/50 Hz.
Output:+12V
250W Max.
so i want to ask what power supply will work for me so i can buy it ? and if the motherboard is still working ? how can i check it ?
Any advise would be appreciated.Thank you.

A:E-machine power supply

"so i want to ask what power supply will work for me so i can buy it ? and if the motherboard is still working ? how can i check it?"...

This is always a tough question dealing with eMachines computers. Power supplies are cheaper and easier to replace than motherboards. So replacing the power supply with a quailty 350 to 450 watt ATX power supply will be the first thing to try

Here's an example of a simple good supply for your eMachines:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371023

Hopefully the motherboard is ok

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/e-machine-power-supply.135642/
Relevancy 46.01%

I am building a new rig. These are all the parts I'm going to need, except an SSD, which I'm still searching for.
What do you think of this:

There is some finnish text, but don't mind, you'll get the point

Please recommend, comment and improve the setup! Don't wanna go wrong, now do I?

Thanks guys!

Relevancy 46.01%

Hi.
Previously, I had Win98 on my PC. When I went to Shut Down, the power turned off automatically.
I have recently installed WinXP HE and now when I shut down, Windows exits and I get the message "It is now safe to turn off your computer".
I then have to either switch the machine off at the back, or hold in the reset button until it powers down.

Why does this happen with XP?
How can I revert to the proper power down?

Thanks
Gram

Relevancy 46.01%

I have an e machine t3958 with a power supply atx-250-12e rev p7. It will not start. When you push the button nothing happens (no sound no other type of indication). Any ideas if this is likely to be the power supply or the button or some other item?

A:Solved: E Machine t3958 won't power on

If this is a Bestec power supply it has most likely failed and very possibly has taken out your motherboard when it failed. This is a common problem with eMachines.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-e-machine-t3958-wont-power-on.829854/
Relevancy 46.01%

I just built Eeyore Eeyore s basic specs Socket AM kit a newly power No to machine built features the NF-M SV GeForce motherboard AMD Athlon X GHZ Brisbane dual-core CPU with a MB cache and MHz MT s FSB Seagate GB RPM SATA HDD with a MB buffer and NCQ GB of Crucial PC DDR MHz memory x MB PowerUp Silver Mid-Tower case with a -watt power supply I hooked everything up got all excited giggled like a little school girl went to turn him on nothing I tested the power supply i took it outof the case an atx watt btw and No power to a newly built machine put safety pins in the th hole and a ground hole plugged it into a wall No power to a newly built machine and the fan started on it immediately I took that as proof that the psu was good since that is the most action i had seen from it I have tried almost every outlet in my apartment with no luck i even tried down in the basement now when i plugged it into No power to a newly built machine of my surge protectors the surge light immediately came on faint at first then real bright my Question is this Could this be attempting to draw too much power from the house My apartment has had problems with the breaker tripping when like my roommates little heater was going along with the microwave and my other pc quot Tigger quot I do have to take Eeyore to work an plug him in there to see if he gets anything Thank you for listening nbsp

A:No power to a newly built machine

We have all had a problem like this. It is likely that you have installed something incorrection, or unseated something while working on another component.
Then nearly 15% of all new builds have a problem with hardware
Can you try a borrowed power supply. Alternately, obtain a power supply tester... they Run $10 to $25, and will be invaluable for years.
Otherwise, you need to go back to the most simple, fundamental configuration such as a floppy drive and boot disk... and other such changes...
Do you have lights on the board? Have you tried another power socket. And the old standby, "Is it really plugged in?"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-power-to-a-newly-built-machine.103807/
Relevancy 46.01%

Ok so im not new to computers, but new to upgrades to them. Now i have read that i can't upgrade the video card to an 512 something gt210 thing i have the number for, but the deal is i have to get a bigger power supply for it something around 330-400wattts at 12v with a 18 amp rate. Now if it don't fit inside the small tower that the e machine has why can't i mount the thing on the outside of the tower. If i can why not get a 500w one and keep the power flowing .... heck ill drill holes or make a mount or something for it. Thanks let me know.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/e-machine-el1358g-power-supply.1041276/
Relevancy 46.01%

My machine died on me an hr ago It was on working fine then i touched the mouse and about seconds later the screen went black Still had power has no but screen... Solved: Machine power - to the comp etc so i thought the screen had died But if i unplug the screen it returns from black to no signal blue screen which is normal so it doesnt look like the screens the problem Thought it may be a power supply unit problem but when i reboot - all drive lights Solved: Machine has power - but no screen... come on and fans start EXCEPT my mouse and keyboard lights which is well weird and i obviously still get a black screen No bios output or anything - so i doubt Solved: Machine has power - but no screen... its my hardrive thats failed I don t seem to get the beep on startup though either That leaves - - Either my graphics card has died - Memory Stick has died - Power supply is dodgy but it doesn t look like it to me mobo light and all drive klights still come on except the keyboard mouse lights am i right in thinking this - Or worst of all a dead MOBO Anyone experienced anything like this before If so - what turned out to be the fault I sooo hope its not the MOBO option as thats a new CPU memory and MOBO and new graphics card - as the mobo is a yr old K VTA socket Suggestions thoughts nbsp

Relevancy 46.01%

I have put in a new power supply and the same problem exits. It starts, the fan turns and them nothing.(but the power light flash.) (that's the only difference from the other post that I've read.) I have tried everything from the answers that were posted. why is the light still on and flashing if the mobo is gone. I even changed the position of the jumper.it starts then stops,power button flashes.It was $49.99 for the power supply. what should I do. It didn't beep either.

Relevancy 46.01%

I have a Dell Dimension and having problems with Power Issues? - Machine The In Ghost power The computer continuously powers itself off and then back on then off and on etc It will do this every few seconds and most times it never finishes the boot process before Ghost In The Machine - Power Issues? restarting again It will restart if i am in safe mode or in the bios and sometimes it turns off and on so fast it is just clicking and never even posting if i shut it down completely by holding the power button until it shuts off it will turn itself back on occasionally if i let it rest for a week i can run it no problem for a day or Sometimes it will not power back on no matter what i do or press I have switched power supplies and that didn t do anything I can t re-do the OS because it never stays on long enough I want to zero fill the drive and reinstall the OS in case there are nasty trojans in there but can t get it to be stable long enough I have other motherboards but can t use them in this small form factor case so i have no quick way to eliminate the MB as a problem Has anyone heard of this before and can you guide me towards a way to stabalize the system nbsp

A:Ghost In The Machine - Power Issues?

Sounds as though this may be hardware related.
You have tried to replace the power supply already, so that seems to be eliminated.

I would also detach all ATA cables leading to the Hard Drive and CD/DVD drive (temporarily for testing)
There's is good online documentation on that process here:http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/index.htm

The reason for detaching the Hard Drive is to see if you are able to get into CMOS.

You may also want to tries these options:

Unplug all external devices (leaving Keyboard; Video or Power connected only)
Remove any addon internal PCI card (ie Modems; Sound Cards; Video Adaptors)
Confirm all internal Power and Data plugs are secure
Reset the CMOS, using the onboard jumper (service manual required fo location)
Remove all internal dust and debri
Confirm all Fans are operational (especially CPU)

Please try that, and report back.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ghost-in-the-machine-power-issues.99787/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hello I have a friends personal computer here a one year old HP pavillion that quit on her one day while she was at work She left the machine running When you press the power button absolutely nothing happens I took press and Dead power nothing. machine, the side off and though there were no lights on the motherboard a green LED on the power supply meant to me that the power supply was at least getting power I unplugged the PSU and then unplugged the pin connector from the power supply to the motherboard Dead machine, press power and nothing. I then took a multimeter and found a ground pin and checked all the other pins for power On a couple pins there was or so volts but there were none with volts or volts just a couple with volts on them My questions are Did I test the power supply properly Will testing the system with a different power supply possibly put the different power supply at risk if there is a problem now with the motherboard or some other peice of hardware in the dead system If it is completely apparent that the power supply is in fact dead how do I determine a replacement nbsp

A:Dead machine, press power and nothing.

Testing the PSU directly like that isn't 100% as when the power is drained off the PSU, the levels may drop because of fault. But its a good start.

Have a look on the motherboard for bulging or leaking capacitors before you try with a different PSU.
http://www.capacitorlab.com/visible-failures/ see there for examples.

If you are happy to try a different PSU, ensure it matches the right output enough to power the components.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dead-machine-press-power-and-nothing.934408/
Relevancy 46.01%

In November I began seeing this message on the screen every time I shut down my Windows Dell Inspiron desktop quot Please do not Solved: off machine do not or power Please unplug your power off or unplug your machine Installing update of quot The screen holds that message for about three minutes and then the PC turns itself off Windows Update indicates that an quot Important quot update has failed to install quot Internet Explorer for Windows for x -based Systems quot This update is MB Solved: Please do not power off or unplug your machine and was published I disabled antivirus and tried installing the update no luck Ran Windows Update Troubleshooter it found four errors which it could not automatically correct see attached screen shot Below is the data generated by TSG SysInfo Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R G G Express Chipset Family Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Solved: Please do not power off or unplug your machine Motherboard Dell Inc RY Antivirus McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Updated and Solved: Please do not power off or unplug your machine Enabled Any thoughts on how to successfully install the update Or perhaps reset it so Windows can start over on it Or something else nbsp

Relevancy 46.01%

Model:Emachine D6046
Processor: Athlon AMD64 II (2.5GHz)
RAM: 1.5GB
MB-BIOS: Phoenix

Problem: When you push the power button on the computer, the light comes on, and you hear the Processor and Hard-Drives power on, but the monitor has absolutely no response, although the keyboard lights curiously come on, and a beep code comes out (1 to 2 second solid beep, 5 second pause. Repeats constantly). So far 4 computer technicians I've taken it to have been unable to figure out whats wrong, and I'm only good with software. Could anyone possibly help me? Thanks.

A:E-machine D6046 Power-up Failure

Sounds like a failed video card - can you try another ?

does this help ? http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/e-machine-d6046-power-up-failure.876918/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi everyone!

My girlfriend has an e-machine model w4682. When I press the power button the power light around the power button turns on and stays on. The lights on the keyboard for the num lock, caps lock, scroll lock blink on and then turn off, then they flicker before turning completely off. Nothing else turns on (no fans, no monitor input and no laser mouse). Do you think its the power supply?

Thanks!

Relevancy 46.01%

I have a dual booted mac / windows 7 machine. About 3 hours ago I logged into Windows did some invoices then logged out to get back to my Mac. But I got the please do not power off or unplug your machine. Installing update 1 of 9 ..

I waited twenty minutes, because updates are usually fast. The message never changed. I went to the grocery store the message had not changed. i went to the gym, it still hasn't changed.

So now my question is... What happens if I power off or unplug my machine? Or should I keep waiting. I do have another Windows 8.1 / Ubuntu machine I can work on if it is just an especially large windows 7 update.

A:Do not power off or unplug your machine... 3 hours later...

If it was my computer I would reboot into Windows.
A few times I have had that happen to me and a reboot fixed it.
You should notice on the reboot Windows will be finishing off the updates. Wait until it's done. Normally it's pretty quick at that point. When it's done booting I would check for more Windows Updates.

Of course its your computer so its at your own risk.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/332746-do-not-power-off-unplug-your-machine-3-hours-later.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hello, yesterday I went and spent about $600 on some new parts for my computer. I bought 16GB DDR3 1600hz RAM, 850W Corsair bronze PSU and a 570GTX Gainward Nvidia Graphics card. I installed all of these and the machine was working perfectly. (was really good playing battlefield 3 ultra with no lagg This morning i got up and now the machine wont power on. The motherboard does indeed have a green light on so i know its getting power. The power button is still plugged into the motherboard as far as i can see. If this is the case what else could be causing this.

My motherboard and CPU are:
Intel i7 870 2.93Ghz Turbo 3.6Ghz
ASUS P7H55D-M EVO Motherboard

Thank you for any help, flyer0101.

Relevancy 45.58%

Good Tuesday evening to you folks Okay so it's been quite a while since we first encountered this issue and even after having taken it in for repairs at a local computer shop service our desktop computer stubbornly continues to completely shut itself down a number of hours into using it Quite simply its power gets cut off for some reason We were told that power having difficulty [SOLVED] on staying Machine everything was the way it's supposed to be and that nothing was wrong with the computer's circuitry or those sort of things at the computer shop These power shortages of sorts have persisted and won't go away no matter what we do to the computer's circuitry even if it's cleaning that we're doing up here or whether chunks of dust are removed from its components So what do you guys suspect the likely cause of the issue might be Your input and suggestions will be greatly appreciated regardless of whether they turn out to hold the answer to my problem or [SOLVED] Machine power having difficulty staying on not Regards fellow forum user sama el

A:[SOLVED] Machine power having difficulty staying on

My first thought is power supply do you use a surge protector do you have any other computers running in the house

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-machine-power-having-difficulty-staying-on-688755.html
Relevancy 45.58%

I wonder if anyone else has tried rebooting a Windows 8 machine remotely yet. This is probably not a common occurrence yet, though it someday may be, and it turned out to be quite a debacle. Obviously we all know that in order to reboot a machine, we have to access the charms bar, go to settings and then power, then restart. This turned out to be almost impossible for me to accomplish remotely using ultravnc, as I could only see a small portion of the screen, and the charms kept vanishing from the screen while I was trying to get to settings. Is there another simple way to restart the machine that I am missing, that does not rely on mouse gestures, or 3rd party applications?

A:Trouble power cycling a remote machine.

Would it help to create Shutdown and Restart shortcuts on the Desktop?

Shutdown: C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0

Restart: C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /r /t 0

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/13368-trouble-power-cycling-remote-machine.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Okay so I know this may be one of those pain in the butt tasks but If it can be done it will help out a lot.
I currently have Vista 64-bit installed on my computer. I have been using the computer at work because we needed one in a pinch and now its the work computer. This is changing, but very important info and files are on this drive and it will be so much easier to be able to just put the hard drive in a the new computer and run it as the primary. Problem is, obviously, different parts. We could just install it as a slave but then you have Vista on it for no reason, taking up valuable and needed space.
Is there a way to do this? maybe by installing the drivers for the new computer before the switch? I don't know...any help would be appreciated.

A:Moving your primary hard drive to a new computer to be used as a primary there too???

Originally Posted by Squa190

Okay so I know this may be one of those pain in the butt tasks but If it can be done it will help out a lot.
I currently have Vista 64-bit installed on my computer. I have been using the computer at work because we needed one in a pinch and now its the work computer. This is changing, but very important info and files are on this drive and it will be so much easier to be able to just put the hard drive in a the new computer and run it as the primary. Problem is, obviously, different parts. We could just install it as a slave but then you have Vista on it for no reason, taking up valuable and needed space.
Is there a way to do this? maybe by installing the drivers for the new computer before the switch? I don't know...any help would be appreciated.

well....if you have a different motherboard, your HDD wont be able to run the OS installed on it as primary...

just install it as a slave drive, im sure you can run a ''repair install'' on the drive & use it in a ''dual boot'' config.

if thats not possible, install it as a slave drive & simply delete the OS files leaving only your data on the disc..

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/259498-moving-your-primary-hard-drive-new-computer-used-primary-there-too.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hello I just built a new machine and it just randomly turns off It will not turn back on until all power has been disconnected for a few minutes Long post but covers everything relevant Thank you The specs Mobo GIGABYTE GA-F A XM-D H CROSSFIRE FM Processor Amd A K Blk Edt Mhz Mb w Socket FM APU Graphics on-board Memory Kingston GB MHz - - DDR HyperX Randomly Loses Newly Built Power Machine Red GB Module and GB Modules due to TigerDirect error Windows only sees GB but that s for another day lol PSU Thermaltake TRX- M TR RX -Watt Modular Power Supply - W mm Fan ATX Modular Plus HDD WD Blue WD EZEX TB Desktop Hard Drive - quot SATA RPM MB Cache old GB drive also installed as extra storage What I Newly Built Machine Randomly Loses Power was doing when this happened Cleaning files from my old hard drive after installing Windows on the new Newly Built Machine Randomly Loses Power drive Playing SimCity on appropriate settings The night previously I played SimCity for many hours with no interruptions BIOS does not show any heating or voltage problems The CPU hits a max of degrees celcius All fans operating normally and system temperature is low Sounds like a power problem - PSU or otherwise Surge protector does not have to be reset after a failure Any thoughts appreciated Update I ran various burn-in tests and all temperatures remained below degrees BIOS reports all voltages as normal A few hours after Newly Built Machine Randomly Loses Power testing there was another power failure while doing nothing except for browsing the Internet Checked mobo power connections -pin connection did have a partial disconnect however if this is the problem it confuses me how the computer was able to be turned back on after each failure without reconnecting it nbsp

Relevancy 45.15%

In laptops: the machine doesn?t respect the set power options,

As the ?turn off the display? is set to be ?never?, then if the laptop is restarted then this option is changed in its own and the value of never is switched to other value like ?15? (attached).

What might be the issue here?

Who to fix the value of ?turn off the display? is to be ?never? and to be kept never even in case of restart or electricity power cut?

Thank you

Best

Jamal

A:In laptops: the machine doesnt respect the set power opti

Your laptop may have software which came with it and it's settings would take precedence over windows settings.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/51779-laptops-machine-doesn-t-respect-set-power-opti.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Sorry if this is the wrong section but seems more hardware than gaming I currently have a Dell GX with gb of ram and if it matters I use about a quot in screen The rest I do not specifically know but maybe this can a Solved: Power into turning pc gaming decent problems in my machine? help Solved: Power problems in turning my pc into a decent gaming machine? a little http www dell com html us products d model html Now that WoW seems to be a bit more demanding in the graphics department I decided to change my integrated for a real card I need a PCI-E card that can match these performance levels Up my fps in WoW by a good currently at about in casual playing run other more demanding games at ease not expecting a maxed out performance just a nice decent play for games like Team Fortress and Left Dead I have a pending order for http www newegg com Product Produc E But right now I am also eying but this deal is ending TODAY http www newegg com Product Produc E read up and it mentions something about DDR having reduced watt usage Still I thought this was all there was to the whole pc thing but apparently my computer might not have enough watts the description online says the PSU is only w or w I am not looking to spend much money - but i still want decent fps and graphics Can my computer generally support either graphics cards Should I just buy a less demanding graphics card Or will a less demanding graphics card be unable to play games like Left Dead Call of Duty etc If so do I need to buy a new PSU Can this computer even handle a new psu Sorry I know this is very demanding of a thread but please answer quickly because both cards I am wanting are going to have their deals ending soon Thank you Very very much in advance nbsp

A:Solved: Power problems in turning my pc into a decent gaming machine?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-power-problems-in-turning-my-pc-into-a-decent-gaming-machine.828779/
Relevancy 44.72%

I am running windows xp Today my computer accidently got unplug and plugged back in When the computer rebooted it would not Master Primary Lost and slave! Primary complete the reboot process It asked for the system info disc When that was loading it would not continue on when i tried to complete the install process It stated that it could not detect any Hard Disk Drives Don t understand what is happening here Lost Primary Master and Primary slave! as the cd disk drive is working or it would not of started loading in the first place Can someone please help me out here Not sure what to do and i don Lost Primary Master and Primary slave! t really have the finances to take it to shop for something simple which i am praying it is Thank you Just wanted to add also not detecting secdary slave as well it is detection secondary master it says AOPEN CD-Rom I don t know if this info helps It also said something about POWER SET UP not sure what it really said as it didn t come back up It reverted back to the original message nbsp

Relevancy 44.29%

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64) (build 7600)
Dell Inc. OptiPlex 780
2.93 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
Board: Dell Inc. 0C27VV A00
BIOS: Dell Inc. A01 09/01/2009
319.98 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
3996 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

I have attached dump files and BSOD Dump & System File Collection

Please let me know if you need any further information.

A:Getting daily BSOD in WIN7 machine, EventID: 41 Source: Kernel-Power

Quote: Originally Posted by warmoor73

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64) (build 7600)
Dell Inc. OptiPlex 780
2.93 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
Board: Dell Inc. 0C27VV A00
BIOS: Dell Inc. A01 09/01/2009
319.98 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
3996 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

I have attached dump files and BSOD Dump & System File Collection

Please let me know if you need any further information.

"It's not a true crash, in the sense that the bluescreen was initiated only because the combination of video driver and video hardware was being unresponsive, and not because of any synchronous processing exception".

Since Vista, the "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR) components of the OS video subsystem have been capable of doing some truly impressive things to try to recover from issues which would have caused earlier OSs like XP to crash.

As a last resort, the TDR subsystem sends the video driver a "please restart yourself now!" command and waits a few seconds.

If there's no response, the OS concludes that the video driver/hardware combo has truly collapsed in a heap, and it fires off that stop 0x116 BSOD.

If playing with video driver versions hasn't helped, make sure the box is not overheating.

Try removing a side panel and aiming a big mains fan straight at the motherboard and GPU.

Run it like that for a few hours or days - long enough to ascertain whether cooler temperatures make a difference.

If so, it might be as simple as dust buildup and subsequently inadequate cooling.

I would download cpu-z and gpu-z (both free) and keep an eye on the video temps Let us know if you need help STOP 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR troubleshooting

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/189251-getting-daily-bsod-win7-machine-eventid-41-source-kernel-power.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi New member - please be gentle if I haven't followed the correct procedures Okay I rebuilt my PC completely following a mobo failure retaining the hard drives I was really impressed Win Ult x booted straight into the desktop I removed old mobo drivers added new ones errors state) Build BSOD Machine 9F power randomly New (driver Had a few glitched with the USB ports which I think I fixed by deleting and reintalling new drivers I have had some BSODs - one after the other just New Build Machine BSOD 9F (driver power state) errors randomly now and at least earlier one while the machine was unattended In each case it was a BCCode f and I got the error message driver power state failure Now I have the crashdrump logs I think it has zipped but I know the most recent one related to the crash I just saw is called - On a whim in the interim I have also just now uninstalled the Asus AI Suite that came with the mobo Asus z pro gamer as I know it has an energy management module and even though I have tried to disable that anyway I thought might be a cause for error I would be most grateful for help in tracking down the cause of this error and advice on fixing it please Thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/386653-new-build-machine-bsod-9f-driver-power-state-errors-randomly.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hello all Not sure where to put this thread up So its here at present I have an ancient old quot time quot machine that got passed onto me a few years ago that I have been using how ancient time power home machine downpower on for & to server issue Fixing as Fixing power issue on ancient time machine & how to downpower for home server a home server for a while now its never always on as its noisy and from all I know consumed a ton of power Now this thing is old Fixing power issue on ancient time machine & how to downpower for home server It s running a single core Pentium and only gb of ram consisting of a mismatch of reclaimed ram and an ancient mb Nvidia card that was salvaged I have been through multiple Linux distro s both desktop and command line only the unit is headless and currently running XP Pro as these Fixing power issue on ancient time machine & how to downpower for home server seems to run smoothest with least resources somehow Im using this as a minecraft server for me and a few players nothing fancy Although I have a couple of questions to improve stability A problem I have never been able to figure out with the system Is that from a cold boot you can t power up the system Only upon pulling the power cord out and leaving it out for a minute then plugging it in will the system boot It s Noisy I presume dirty old fan s although they don t look that dusty Power consumption How can I make the machine use less power Would pulling out the GFX card make the system use less power Would this effect performance What could I disable in the BIOS What hardware could I add remove use less power Any physical tips on keeping a home server on all the time For instance methods for keeping the system cool and noise free nbsp

A:Fixing power issue on ancient time machine & how to downpower for home server

For the noise issue: Check the CPU heatsink. Look through the fan to the heatsink fins. If they are covered with dust, as could well be the case with an old computer, the fan will run at top speed trying to cool the CPU.
The first problem sounds like a defective power supply.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fixing-power-issue-on-ancient-time-machine-how-to-downpower-for-home-server.1077186/
Relevancy 43.86%

Just bought a HP Elite- f machine freezing and supply screening machine Solved: graphics power Windows7 and blue after I replaced the stock power supply which was w max Solved: Windows7 machine freezing and blue screening after power supply and graphics with a w rocketfish I also replaced the wimpy stock video card with a gtx The computer worked great for a while but then i started getting trouble Symptoms Randomly freezes total freeze mouse will not move Solved: Windows7 machine freezing and blue screening after power supply and graphics keyboard yields no response Randomly reboots When I bring it back up after a random reboot there s no response on monitor but it comes up after I reboot again I ve got a blue screen a couple times that says something about memory It s almost too quick to read Once it let off a series of steady beeps one after another very rapidly I ve never herd a beep code like it before Attempted so far Solved: Windows7 machine freezing and blue screening after power supply and graphics Checked all cables Updated video drivers Ran factory reset My specs are HPE- f Windows Home premium bit Motherboard H-ALvorix-RS -uAtx RAM gig DDR u Video gtx Processor AMD phenom II quad I m really at a loss here and this is my main use computer Can anybody help me out nbsp

A:Solved: Windows7 machine freezing and blue screening after power supply and graphics

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows7-machine-freezing-and-blue-screening-after-power-supply-and-graphics.998004/
Relevancy 43%

Getting ready to install a replacement hard drive.
Currently had 2 hard drives, cd burner and cd rom.
It was suggested to me by maxtor tech support that the hard drives should be on separate ide channels as primary masters and the cd's should be hooked under them as primary slaves. If this is true it will take considerable time to move items around and reconfigure.
Is it worth the effort or just leave well enough alone.
Everything was working fine before the second hard drive went south.

A:hd primary master cd primary slave

Putting the 2 HD's on separate channels might improve performance a little, depending on the type of system you have. On the other hand, putting CDROM's on the same cable with Hard drives can slow down access to the hard drive since the I/O controller must determine which drive is being accessed and CDROM's are much slower to respond.
I don't think you will notice much difference either way, so it's probably not worth the trouble to switch.
If your happy with the way you have it, stick with it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hd-primary-master-cd-primary-slave.40765/
Relevancy 40.42%

I have just installed two new internal HDs.

In Computer Management, one is listed as Page File, Primary Partition. The other as simply Primary Partition, though I'm pretty sure I did exactly the same installation procedure for both.

What's the difference? Should they both be the same? If so, which and what should I do to make the odd one right? Also, the Page File, Primary Partition drive is slightly smaller, for some reason.

Thanks.

D.

A:(Page File, Primary Partition) and (Primary Partition) - Difference?

From Wikipedia
A primary partition contains one file system. In DOS and earlier versions of Microsoft Windows systems, the system partition was required to be the first partition. Windows operating systems must be located in a primary partition. Other operating systems do not have this peculiar requirement. However, other factors, such as a PC's BIOS (see Boot sequence on standard PC) may also impart specific requirements as to which partition must contain the primary OS.

This one may load slow
Change the size of virtual memory (Page file size) in Vista | Windows Reference

The paging file is actually the virtual memory that is stored in the OS.
In the case of your question it is a hidden primary pattiion.

It not necessary, but if you want to try and see it
Hidden Files and Folders - Show or Hide - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/286779-page-file-primary-partition-primary-partition-difference.html
Relevancy 40.42%

When my laptop is plugged into an external monitor the laptop screen is the quot primary quot display where programs automatically open etc Is there a way to make the primary display not the laptop screen but the external monitor screen Here s the catch--is there a way to do it without looking at the primary monitor I have this strange request because my laptop s screen recently died I have Switch the Monitor External-Without at Primary Primary Monitor from Laptop Looking to connected an external monitor and so can still use the computer--more or less The problem is that I can t see my start menu etc--they are all on the laptop screen ie the dead one I know normally how to switch the display I would right click on the desktop and select quot personalize quot then quot display Switch Primary Monitor from Laptop to External-Without Looking at the Primary Monitor quot But when I do this it opens the display in the primary monitor the broken laptop monitor and I can t see it to change the settings It s a sad catch If anyone could help me with this is would REALLY appreciate it Thank you nbsp

A:Switch Primary Monitor from Laptop to External-Without Looking at the Primary Monitor

Hi nomonitor, and welcome to TSG

Check your user manual for the laptop to see if has has a special key or a Function key that lets you toggle between the internal display and external monitor.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switch-primary-monitor-from-laptop-to-external-without-looking-at-the-primary-monitor.975539/
Relevancy 39.56%

What is so special about these cores? I see that they are 2.5Ghz, but the Pent 2.2 Dual Core I have isn't that much higher, so why are these things so freaking expensive?

Relevancy 39.56%

Is the i7 920 8 core CPU? I know that it says that it has 4 cores and HT which means each core counts as 2 therefore 4 > 8 cores. But is it really an 8 core CPU or would you still call it a quad core?

A:Does the i7-920 have four or eight cores?

Wouldn't It still be considered a QUAD core? the threads do not count as actual cores. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the matter will chime in. I am interested to know myself.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/does-the-i7-920-have-four-or-eight-cores.180651/
Relevancy 39.56%

hello there I would like to ask something..

I'm using windows xp sp3.

When I click "properties" on my computer it says that I have this CPU :
Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz

However, when I ctrl+alt+del I get this screen:

I see that there are two boards over here. Why is that happening? Isn't this about CPU's with two cores only?

A:how many cores?

You have hyper-threading enabled. That is how a P4 with hyper-threading shows up in the task manager.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-many-cores-394529.html
Relevancy 39.56%

can anyone tell me whats the differance between cpu core(clawhammer,applebread,venice,etc.)and which is better and why?Also my son and daughters lap tops came with windows xp is this the same os http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102059 thanks for all your help.

A:cpu cores

1. here is a quick guide to Athlon64 cores. basically, the newer the core, the better.

2. as for the OS, you never specified whether the laptop had XP home or XP Pro. but essentially it is the same OS.

the laptop most likely came with an OS that was bundled with a bunch of other carp that you don't need (and depending on it's age it may not have SP2). the version you linked is a clean retail copy of XP home. in my opinion a retail version is better because it only installs the OS without all the added crap that the laptop maker wanted you to have.

another benefit to a retail version is that you own the license, meaning you can use it on any machine. unlike the laptop version which can only be used on that exact laptop.

hope this helped,
cheers :wave:

EDIT: here is a much better guide to cores right here on techspot!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpu-cores.55086/
Relevancy 39.56%

Silly question but I've always wondered whats the diff between certain cpu cores outbeside the obivious ones for different versions of the cpu like semp, duron, and athlon xp. Cuz usually when I look at a cpu I usually look at the speed, fsb, and cache. If anything just wanted to know if there was any specific diff between a barton core, thouroughbred, or thorton core.

A:CPU cores Q

A new core is often manufactured with smaller traces, e.g. 0.09 micron instead of 0.13 micron. This reduces power consumption and heat output, allowing higher clockspeeds. There may also be other tweaks like SSE2 instructions, improved branch prediction, more L2 cache, faster memory accessing and so on.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cpu-cores-q.341655/
Relevancy 39.56%

I have a AMD 955 Quad but now it's only showing 3 cores on my gadget. Is there a way to check this out so I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my CPU?

A:3 CPU cores and not 4?

Open your task manager and go to the Performance tab. At the top under cpu usage history, you should have a balck box with a green grid for each core you have. If it only shows 3 and you have a quad, your CPU may be defective.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/208748-3-cpu-cores-not-4-a.html
Relevancy 39.56%

My computer just died and I will be buying a new machine I m leaning towards a bit system this time around and will be waiting till Windows comes Cores? New 8 PC - out to make my purchase Anyway I ve got New PC - 8 Cores? some very high end compenents on my current computer so I m just looking to buy a superfast barebones system motherboard processor ram I found it interesting that the new Mac Pro s boast - Cores with two GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon prcoessors I ve been searching on the web for an core equivalent for my new bit Win barebones system and not getting many hits and the info i m getting is quite fuzzy Is this not something that is readily available I m finding it hard to believe that Apple is boasting something that PC can t already do for cheaper Can New PC - 8 Cores? Windows even take advantage of an core chipset like this Any guidance around this matter would be helpful I don t know why there isn t more information on New PC - 8 Cores? this on the web Thanks Phigment nbsp

Relevancy 39.56%

, you can buy a quad-core CPU... but do you need one? Software has come a long way to support multi-threading since the first multi-core CPUs were released, but how much better are four CPU cores than one, two, or three?

A:How Many CPU Cores Do You Need?

Dual core & larger will give better preformance.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-many-cpu-cores-do-you-need.828694/
Relevancy 39.13%

AMD 1100 PhenomII
Asus Sabertooth 990 MB
Intel 120gb ssd

Task manager says use is system idle, and seems to be kernal (red). I've disabled system indexing. and search, no change. Can't find any hardware issues in hardware manager. I'm going to see if I can update the MS anti malware protection mow.

A:One of six cores running at 100%

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps.===Please download and run this DDS Scanning Tool. Nothing will be deleted. It will just give me some additional information about your system.Download DDS and save it to your desktop from here or here.Disable any script blocker, and then double click dds.scr to run the tool. When done, DDS will open two (2) logs: DDS.txt Attach.txtSave both reports to your desktop.Please just paste the contents of the DDS.txt log in your next post.===If unable to update MS anti malware protection please run this tool.Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.Make sure the following options are checked:
Internet ServicesWindows FirewallSecurity CenterWindows UpdatePress "Scan".It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.Please copy and paste the log to your reply.Please post the logs and let me know what problem persists.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/444874/one-of-six-cores-running-at-100/
Relevancy 39.13%

Back in 2008/9 I had the Intel Q6600 cpu and at that time games and OS barely could utilize more than 2 cores of a processor. How are things now? My straight forward question is whether windows 8.1 utilizes more than 2 cores?
Does it make sense to upgrade to a quad core for a HTPC just for a fast n snappy computing experience?

Thanks.

A:Windows 8.1 uses more than 2 cores?

I don't have it anymore to try W8 on it. But running Vista x64 my Phenom I 9850 quad was totally maxed out running BD Rebuilder. In fact I was disappointed because it could only handle "good" quality setting. Anything higher and it choked and crashed. For an exercise run BDRB at top quality and see how your quad handles it. It's a good test.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/50412-windows-8-1-uses-more-than-2-cores.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Can't get my xeon E3-1505M to turn on all 4 cores, even when plugged in. All power settings are on High performance Bios 2.06  

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P70-won-t-turn-on-all-4-cores/td-p/3378649
Relevancy 39.13%

I have several dumps below that accured in about a hours time. I only have the bsod if I run 3 or more cores.Win7 ultimate 32 bit would not even install with anymore then 2 cores running. The board is a BFG680i with latest bios, 4 gig corsair memory ( has been memtest several times).q9550 quad core processor.Runs perfectly fine if you just run 2 cores . Run 3 or 5 cores garrantied blue screen in 10 -30 minutes. I have watched the core temps with fanspeed and they are 50 or below so that should not be a problem.Hopefully someone will be able to point the way with the dumps

A:bsod on more then 2 cores

Please run Driver Verifier according to these directions:

Quote:
Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition. Most times it'll crash and it'll tell you what the driver is. But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you the driver. Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.

So, I'd suggest that you first backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out.

Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by going back in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page, then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
If that doesn't work, post back and we'll have to see about fixing the registry entry off-line.

More info on this at this link: Using Driver Verifier to identify issues with Windows drivers for advanced users

Summary of the BSOD's:

Code:
Built by: 7600.16385.x86fre.win7_rtm.090713-1255
Debug session time: Sun Jan 17 16:49:48.905 2010 (GMT-5)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:01:50.545
BugCheck 100000C5, {74cee4c, 2, 0, 8193b04d}
Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe ( nt!ExAllocatePoolWithTag+49d )
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT
PROCESS_NAME: SearchProtocol
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Debug session time: Sun Jan 17 16:57:18.882 2010 (GMT-5)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:05:30.523
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Debug session time: Sun Jan 17 17:14:50.297 2010 (GMT-5)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:16:30.812
PROCESS_NAME: iexplore.exe
Debug session time: Sun Jan 17 17:47:54.558 2010 (GMT-5)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:30:16.199
BugCheck 10000050, {f743d9fc, 1, 8192b943, 2}
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for dxgkrnl.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for dxgkrnl.sys
Probably caused by : Pool_Corruption ( nt!ExDeferredFreePool+2e3 )

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/56233-bsod-more-then-2-cores.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Hi All -

Recently updated my PC thanks to the help of some kind people here in the forum.
PC is running great, but when I view my resource monitors, it shows 2 cores that are "parked." I understand what that means, but why? and how to change it?

Granted, I am not having an issue with the PC... Runs great. Just curious.

Here is my PC:

Gigabyte's X58A-UD3R
i7-930
GTX 260
12GB of OCZ 1600
Win7 64-bit OEM <- Had to call M$ after updating my MOBO, CPU, and RAM, but it was VERY easy.

As a side note:
I know I have to update the videocard, but at the moment Crysis runs quite nicely.
The temps on my CPU are quite low (Kandalf LCS case)

Thanks again to everyone that helped me in the forums!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/parked-cores-i7-930.145513/
Relevancy 39.13%

quot Analysis more than cores may well be pointless One of the ongoing themes of my microprocessor coverage over the past few years has been the relationship between on-chip execution bandwidth well may be cores limit? 16 the and the quot memory wall quot So I was intrigued to learn of 16 cores may well be the limit? new research from Sandia National Labs that indicates that the severity of the memory wall problem may be much greater than 16 cores may well be the limit? the industry generally anticipates In a nutshell the quot memory wall quot problem is pretty straightforward and it's by no means new to the 16 cores may well be the limit? multicore era The problem arises when the execution bandwidth i e aggregate instructions per second either per-thread or across multiple threads and programs available in a single socket is constrained by the amount of memory bandwidth available to that socket As execution bandwidth increases either because clockspeeds get faster or because the die contains more cores memory bandwidth has to increase in order to keep up To put this in simple multicore terms cramming a ton of processor cores onto a single die does you no good if you can't keep those cores fed with code and data But memory bandwidth isn't keeping up Memory bus bandwidth latency and or throughput hasn't increased quickly enough in proportion to Moore's Law a fact that leaves processors starving for bytes In this respect the quot memory wall quot is a classic producer consumer problem and it's the reason that on-die cache sizes have ballooned in recent years As the memory wall gets higher and higher it takes more and more cache to get you over it At this point it would be fair to say that most modern server processors are really high-speed memories with some processor core stuck on the die instead of vice versa The memory wall is therefore an added barrier to the success of the many-core paradigm I say quot added quot because the most famous barrier is the programming model Massively multithreaded programming isn't just a quot hard problem quot rather it's a generation's worth of Ph D dissertations that have yet to be written The work from the Sandia team at least as it's summarized in an IEEE Spectrum article that infuriatingly omits a link to the original research seems to indicate that cores is the point where the memory wall causes a fall-off in performance on certain types of science and engineering workloads informatics to be specific At the -core mark the performance is the same as it is for dual-core and it drops off rapidly after that as you approach cores The chart included in the report is striking and I wish I had the appropriate background to interpret it Again the lack of any link DOI report title deck title or other reference information is unbelievable Nonetheless despite the lack of color from the source I'm sure the many-core skeptics in the audience and there are quite a few will seize on it as further validation that the maximum worthwhile core count is well below It looks like Sandia is proposing that stacking memory chips on top of the processor is the solution to this bandwidth problem If that is indeed their proposal then they're in good company Both Intel and IBM have touted advances in chip-stacking techniques and Sun has published research in the area of high-bandwidth memory interconnects that involve placing dice edge-to-edge But to my knowledge these die-stacking schemes are further from down the road than the production of a mass-market processor with greater than cores quot Analysis more than cores may well be pointless

Relevancy 39.13%

So iv recently OCed by increasing the multiplayer. Right now I am sitting at 3.8Ghz stable but I have one problem. Games such as minecraft and counter strike play way too fast, everything is flash and the game simply runs out of sync...

When i set the affinity to 0 everything is fine and same goes when i set it to only 1. I am guessing that this is something with the OC (obvs it is, when not OCing its all good) and it must be something with cores not running at the same time or something along those lines.

Anyone has a fix for this? Without having to undo the OC and run on the stock speeds .....

Thanks in advance

Relevancy 39.13%

I suspect that my CPU core parking plays a part in my PC's performance especially when I'm running games. I was wondering about the best way yo go about Unparking them. Should I try to do it in the bios or through the registry somehow? I tried using a piece of software that supposedly unparked the cores in my CPU but it turns out, that it really didnt do anything at all.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A:How Do I Unpark my CPU's Cores?

I run maximum number of cores from boot and none are parked at any time that I know of.
Attachment 40680Attachment 40681

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/43620-how-do-i-unpark-my-cpus-cores.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Have AMD A10 5750m 4 cores. After a restart I have 1 core,3cores "missing". I am no expert,so it must be something I did.or not. Please give Me advice.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/quot-lost-quot-3-cores/td-p/5713687
Relevancy 39.13%

Well I have run the computer in the verify mode and the following dumpfile is the result. It would not even get to the splash screen. It crashed twice but only produced one dump file. I was able to finaly get windows booted up by turning core 3 and 4 off. Hopefully the dump file will reveal a answer to my problems. Thank you.

A:bsod on more then 2 cores

? New thread ?
? Dump File ?

If Verifier worked that quickly, it's usually a good sign.
Repost the dump file so that we can have a look at it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/56509-bsod-more-then-2-cores.html
Relevancy 39.13%

hi guys.
my third topic of the 'questions for the patient ones' int he series.
question is:
which is the best, dual core, processor? (leaving out the extreme ones)
supposingly, the 3ghz corone e6850 is the ebst with 3ghz; how come theres another, worse one that costs more? and what up with the amd processor? its part better than this but part not. (the athlon 64 FX 74 3ghz 2mbcache, 2000mhz, RSB socket f, PIB?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/3-cpu-cores-unresolved.611372/
Relevancy 39.13%

Hi I need some advice Built new PC using ASUS M XTD AVO and Phenom X only Gb of DDR and a Radeon HD PSU is Artic After some initial problems trying to install XP I gave up and bought Windows Pro bit This was a clean install which was completed without any problems - but only core was enabled as I had not enabled any of the other cores think this is the default value for this MB With the nd core enabled still no problems 3 with BSOD or 4 cores But as soon as I tried BSOD with cores 3 or 4 cores or I get BSOD either prior to the logon screen or occasionally once the log on screen is waiting for the password Downloaded and flashed latest BIOS for MB - Fault still apparent Downloaded and installed latest Driver for Graphics card - Fault still apparent If I try any combination of using either core and or core then its a guaranteed BSOD Ran Mem Test for passes - no problems reported questions would seem sensible Whats the chance of a processor with duff cores - seems real unlikely Do cores and work at all differently to core If so BSOD with cores 3 or 4 how Or Have I missed something real obvious Thats a third question ATTACH

A:BSOD with cores 3 or 4

Hello and Welcome !

Seems like some Hardware component is causing the System to crash. Run a complete hardware diagnostic follow this article Hardware Diagnostic !! ? Captain Debugger follow this article Stop 0x124 - what it means and what to try

Code:
WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
A fatal hardware error has occurred. Parameter 1 identifies the type of error
source that reported the error. Parameter 2 holds the address of the
WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure that describes the error conditon.
Arguments:
Arg1: 00000000, Machine Check Exception
Arg2: 851e1024, Address of the WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure.
Arg3: b41a2000, High order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.
Arg4: 28000145, Low order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.

Debugging Details:
------------------
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x124_AuthenticAMD

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

PROCESS_NAME: explorer.exe

CURRENT_IRQL: 1f

STACK_TEXT:
82b3fd2c 82e3af3f 00000124 00000000 851e1024 nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x1e
82b3fd68 82aeaf04 851b6869 851e1024 82a844d0 hal!HalBugCheckSystem+0xab
82b3fd98 82e3b1f1 851e1ea8 82e48e40 00000000 nt!WheaReportHwError+0x230
82b3feac 82e3b2e3 851e1ea8 851e1ef8 00000000 hal!HalpMcaReportError+0x3b
82b3fed0 82e3b54f 00000000 851e1ef8 82b3fff0 hal!HalpMceHandler+0x8b
82b3fee0 82e315f5 00000000 00000000 00000000 hal!HalpHandleMachineCheck+0x3b
82b3fff0 82e2e261 00000000 801dc000 00000000 hal!HalpMcaExceptionHandler+0x87
82b3fff0 00000000 00000000 801dc000 00000000 hal!HalpMcaExceptionHandlerWrapper+0x89
STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: hardware

IMAGE_NAME: hardware

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x124_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_CACHE

BUCKET_ID: 0x124_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_CACHE

Followup: MachineOwner

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/126691-bsod-cores-3-4-a.html
Relevancy 39.13%

I was reading a thread about seeing if all the cores are operating properly.

I looked in Dev Mgr and it shows 8 cores, but usage on only two.
Is this normal?

Thanks,

Paul

A:Cores question

Indeed it is, Windows dynamically adjusts core usage across the cores according to demand so don't worry about it...

Your task manager shows 8 graphs, and your specs indicate you have quad core i7 2600k which is hyperthreaded so that 1 core is assigned to 2 logical cores and can work on two threads simultaneously, thus appearing to the system as 8 cores...

Hope that helps..

EDIT: If you want to see all 8 cores in action, try using this software, It'll force all eight logical cores to work

LinX Stability Tester.zip

Unzip it, run LinX.exe with your task manager open, and start it up... watch the graphs then...

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/238506-cores-question.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Hi! How many threads is better in my situation:
using terragen. Shoudl i put use 4 threads, or more threads is better?

A:Question about cores

Use one thread per core. Using more than one thread per core will actually slow it down due to the overhead to switch between the two threads. One exception is if you have several processes that are actively using processor time. For example, 3 other processes plus one thread for this, each process will get 25%. Set Terragen to two threads, and each process gets 20%, but Terragen will actually get 40% due to using 2 threads. This only applies if the other processes are not idle, i.e., each thread shows 20% processor usage all the time.

So, if you have a dual processor system using two Quad core processors, use 8.

If you still have the 1.2 GHz Celeron listed in your specs, use 1.

HTH

Jerry

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/question-about-cores.755285/
Relevancy 39.13%

Vista BSOD cores? CS:S + 8 in Ultimate x Asus P T Intel i Nvidia GeForce driver ver gig DDR I BSOD in CS:S + 8 cores? recently built a new computer I am BSOD in CS:S + 8 cores? having some interesting problems First being Speedfan Task Manager MaxCPU are all telling me that I have cores This is the first system that I have built myself Did I mess something up Temps seem fine on SpeedFan aside from having CPU cores Next issue I am having deals with a BSOD Whenever I try to run Counterstrike Source in windowed mode my computer BSODs or locks up forcing a hard boot Full screen it worked fine in the minutes that I play tested it The video card stress test reported back FPS Whenever I try to update my WEI it stops about of te way through Here are some dump files Code Opened log file 'c debug txt' kd gt sympath srv c symbols http msdl microsoft com download symbols Symbol search path is srv c symbols http msdl microsoft com download symbols kd gt reload analyze -v r kv lmnt logclose q Loading Kernel Symbols Loading User Symbols Loading unloaded module list Bugcheck Analysis PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA Invalid system memory was referenced This cannot be protected by try-except it must be protected by a Probe Typically the address is just plain bad or it is pointing at freed BSOD in CS:S + 8 cores? memory Arguments Arg fffffa abf memory referenced Arg value read operation write operation Arg fffffa e fb If non-zero the instruction address which referenced the bad memory address Arg reserved Debugging Details ------------------ Unable to load image SystemRoot system DRIVERS nvlddmkm sys Win error n WARNING Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm sys ERROR Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm sys Could not read faulting driver name WRITE ADDRESS GetPointerFromAddress unable to read from fffff e fffffa abf FAULTING IP nvlddmkm fb fffffa e fb MM INTERNAL CODE CUSTOMER CRASH COUNT DEFAULT BUCKET ID VISTA DRIVER FAULT BUGCHECK STR x PROCESS NAME csrss exe CURRENT IRQL TRAP FRAME fffffa ba -- trap xfffffa ba trap xfffffa ba NOTE The trap frame does not contain all registers Some register values may be zeroed or incorrect rax fffffa abee rbx rcx c rdx rsi fffffa cb f rdi fffff e f rip fffffa e fb rsp fffffa ba a rbp r fffffa e r r r r r r r iopl nv up ei pl nz na pe nc nvlddmkm x fb fffffa e fb trap Resetting default scope LAST CONTROL TRANSFER from fffff e to fffff e a STACK TEXT fffffa ba fffff e fffffa abf fffffa ba nt KeBugCheckEx fffffa ba fffff e ed fffffa d nt MmAccessFault x fffffa ba fffffa e fb ffffffff fffffa e c eb fffffa e nt KiPageFault x fffffa ba a ffffffff fffffa e c eb fffffa e nvlddmkm x fb fffffa ba a fffffa e c eb fffffa e fffffa abc xffffffff fffffa ba b fffffa e fffffa abc nvlddmkm x eb fffffa ba b fffffa abc xfffffa e fffffa ba c fffffa abc fffffa d cc x fffffa ba c fffffa abc fffffa d cc x fffffa ba d fffffa d cc xfffffa abc fffffa ba d fffffa d cc x fffffa ba e fffffa d cc fffffa cc x fffffa ba e fffffa cc fffffa e a d xfffffa d cc fffffa ba f fffffa cc fffffa e a d x fffffa ba f fffffa cc fffffa e a d x fffffa ba fffffa cc fffffa e a d x fffffa ba fffffa e a d xfffffa cc fffffa ba fffffa ba d nvlddmkm x a d fffffa ba fffffa ba d x fffffa ba fffffa ba d x fffffa ba fffffa ba d fffff e ec x fffffa ba fffffa ba d fffff e ec x fffffa ba fffff e ec fffffa be xfffffa ba d fffffa ba fffff e ec fffffa be ffffffff ffffffff x fffffa ba fffff e ec fffffa be ffffffff ffffffff x fffffa ba fffffa cc fffffa fa fffffa e afc f fffffa ba nt IopSynchronousServiceTail x c fffffa ba b fffffa fa fffffa e afc f fffffa ba xfffffa cc fffffa ba b fffffa e afc f fffffa ba fffffa xfffffa fa fffffa ba c f fffffa ba fffffa nvlddmkm x fc fffffa ba c fffffa ba fffffa x f fffffa ba d fffffa f xfffffa ba fffffa ba d fffffa f x fffffa ba e f xfffffa fffffa ba e f fffffa ba x fffffa ba f f fffffa ba fffffa ba x fffffa ba f fffffa ba fffffa ba fffffa a c x f fffffa ba fffffa ba fffffa ba fffffa a c fffffa fa x fffffa ba ff... Read more

A:BSOD in CS:S + 8 cores?

You should hit refresh on the windows experience index, that card definitely does not rate a 1.0
maybe you do have 8 cores, lol what a bargan!
Did you install the Intel drivers for the motherboard chipset right after you installed the OS? I have seen cases where if you forget to do that you get some wierd OS glitches.

NVLxxxxxx i think is a Nvida driver.
So the dump looks like a video driver crash, get a new video driver.
If you have the latest driver download the one before it and install sometimes the new driver is buggy.

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/206978-bsod-cs-s-8-cores.html
Relevancy 39.13%

hi , ive just uesd the asus core unlocker on my system and the bios displayed 6 cores its running very stable and the switch on the board is active ,dose this mean i managed to unlock the 6 cores i was hoping for ? how can i tell definitvly? thanks

asus m488td-m
amd phenom II x4 995 black edition 125watt

A:have i unlocked 6 cores i think i may have :) ?

Could try using CPU-z. It shows all of your processor information, such as how many cores there are.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/have-i-unlocked-6-cores-i-think-i-may-have.1016113/
Relevancy 39.13%

Hi, you know when you goto Task Manager, it shows you by default all cores (ie physical & hyperthreaded) on the system? Given the way hyperthreading works is by having a second set of registers for the CPU (ie instruction and data for thread 1 is on registers 1, and instruction and data for thread 2 is on registers 2), and when say thread 1 requires the CPU to access slow I/O such as memory or disk, the same physical CPU can temporary switch to run thread 2 using the instruction and data on registers 2.

So if my CPU has 4 physical cores, and I see on Task Manager, 8 cores (physical + hyperthreaded), I should never see any of these 8 cores going 100% but rather the sum of both physical + hyperthreaded core going 100%.

Anyone knows why we can see on Task Manager 100% CPU usage for any of the cores (physical + hyperthreaded)?

A:How can all cores on a hyperthreaded CPU go to 100%

Off wikipedia: With HTT, one physical core appears as two processors to the operating system, which can use each core to schedule two processes at once. In addition, two or more processes can use the same resources: if resources for one process are not available, then another process can continue if its resources are available. Hyper-threading - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So if they are all at 100% that means your program is using all of the cores and it is working properly depending on the type of program (3d rendering for example will saturate your cores.) if your PC is doing nothing and has all cores at 100% then you have another issue.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/368842-how-can-all-cores-hyperthreaded-cpu-go-100-a.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Hi there I m in the process of trying to choose between two laptops but I am getting really confused btween cores and speed On the one hand the first machine is HP Pavilion dv - sa the More cores or higher GHz? processor for which is AMD Phenom II X P Processor - GHz - GHz HT MT s - x KB More cores or higher GHz? L Cache The full spec is on the pc world website I cannot post links so apologies The other hand is the HP Pavilion DV - SA - the processor for which is AMD Phenom II X Processor N - GHz - GHz HT - MB L Cache The full spec is on the pc world website I cannot post links so apologies So my question is simple I think is cores with ghz better than cores with ghz I will be doing basic pc usage web and running some games like football manager and some rpg games I have tried to give all the info I can - I hope to buy one tonight so any indication which way to go would be appreciated Thanks sooo much nbsp

A:More cores or higher GHz?

more applications will take advantage of the speed of the 2.8Ghz than will the three cores of the 1.8Ghz...unless you are doing some more than the average user type programs. In other words, nearly all programs will take advantage of a higher clock speeds. only some of them will even acknowledge the third core.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/more-cores-or-higher-ghz.155904/
Relevancy 39.13%

I recently bought an E5200 (2.5Ghz) dual core processor. In the last couple of days I've noticed my computer hanging a bit when i go to load up program, or some programs becoming unresponsive. I've scanned for viruses, spyware and malware and all reported back nothing apart from a couple of tracking cookies.

I checked My Computer -> Properties and it reports the processor as being 2.5Ghz. I'm not sure if it said 5.0Ghz before, but something tells me that it should? Anyway I downloaded a utility to test my cpu speed (cpu.visualware.com) and it reported back my processor speed as being 2495mhz. Surely with it being duo core it should say around 5Ghz?

A:Is one of my 'cores' not working?

No, why do you think you have a 5gig cpu? You have a cpu with two cores that run @2.5gig each. Trust me it never said 5gig.

There are many reasons why a system slows down;
1 Malware
2 Lack of ram and too many apps running.
3 Poorly designed software
4 A bad driver
5 A hardware problem like high temps, failing pw supply, failing hard drive, etc, etc.

I would post a hijack log in the security forum and have a security person review your log for any malware, etc.

Post your exact system specs; ie make and model of mb, brand and amount of ram, brand and wattage of pw supply, etc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-one-of-my-cores-not-working.858640/
Relevancy 39.13%

so. I have a custom tower with Vista Ultimate x64 a 2.4 dual core Intel Proccessor 4gb ran and 5 hhd. I just started having this problem not that long ago. I will turn my computer on and it will start up fine and seem to run just fine, but then after a bit my performance guage on my side bar will read out that one or both of the two cores is at 100% it will stay this way for indefinate amount of time. I uswaly restart and it will work fine then do the same thing. It is not just a glich cause the computer nearly locks up when this happens. I move the mouse and a minute later the cursor will acctualy move. What are some posible causes and solutions to this and does anyone else have these problems? Please help me!

A:One or both cores maxed out! Help!

Hello Bobby,

This may be a sign of a virus or some other spyware/malware infection. I would run a thorough antivirus and spyware scan to be safe.

To help see what is using up the CPU so much, you can look at the Resource Monitor under the CPU section (step 5 in this tutorial below) for a list of items using it.

Resource Monitor

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/180528-one-both-cores-maxed-out-help.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Hello All

I have a ? on boot/up.
Do I setup to boot with one core like it is, or boot 2 or 3 & 4 core?
What is the best setup on i7.

This is on a Dell 435T/9000 i7.

Thanks for your time guys & gals

A:Boot up 1 or 4 Cores

From my experience and testing, toggling this has never made 1 bit of difference on any machine I have ever used. I've read about this tweak for years now...but have never seen this thing make a single difference.

So, on my boxes, it's unchecked.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/81098-boot-up-1-4-cores.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Hi, in my DXdiag my CPU is as follows: intel core i5 CPU 650 @ 3.2GHz (4 CPUs),~ 3.2 GHz

Does this mean that I have just a 2 core or a quad core with 4 "threads" whatever that is?

A:How many cores do I have in my CPU (name confusion)

Quote: Originally Posted by Jaypaul97

Hi, in my DXdiag my CPU is as follows: intel core i5 CPU 650 @ 3.2GHz (4 CPUs),~ 3.2 GHz

Does this mean that I have just a 2 core or a quad core with 4 "threads" whatever that is?

Here is the scoop on it. ARK | Intel? Core

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/273298-how-many-cores-do-i-have-my-cpu-name-confusion.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Let start at the begainning that when I first built the computer it showed cores Plus I had it showing cores and all the cores were unpark too in task manager Sent the computer back to the person that I had got if from I had upgraded it for him He tried to install the software Utlilties to check CPU's cores not showing 8 and set stuff CPU's not showing 8 cores for the motherboard Well it went wrong and he did a system restore From that point CPU's not showing 8 cores on things CPU's not showing 8 cores when down hill The computer than would not post So he called me and we got things back up and running But now in task manager it is only showing cores in msconfig it is showing in the boot that he only can boot up to cpu's In the device manager it is showing cores We went into the Bios and everything is set right in there In the Power Options advanced settings under Processor performance core parking it is showing The thing is the computer is running fine but in some areas it does show cores The thing is he lives on the west coast and I live on the east coast I think there is some setting that have to be change in the registry

A:CPU's not showing 8 cores

...You need to leave the settings in msconfig alone. The check box labeled "Number of processors" needs to be unchecked.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/273367-cpus-not-showing-8-cores.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Previously my computer worked fine with my Intel Core 2 Quad processor. Recently I noticed that in task manager and msconfig and even in hardware manager it was only recognising two of the cores. In device manager all four cores are showing and working correctly, but in task manager it is only allowing me to see two of them when previously I could see them all. I have noticed the slowdown that this is causing my computer. Also I noticed that in msconfig it had automatically set itself to boot using "both" of the cores, when previously I had the option to use all four. How can I recover the other two cores ?

A:Only two cores out of four showing?

Update

It's ok now. I shut down the computer in the hope that I might get lucky after restarting, and I kind of did. I tinkered around the bios settings but didn't save any changes. While rebooting I got the blue screen of death (shock horror ) and then when I restarted it again it did a system recovery and now I have use of all four cores, hopefully permanently. I'm sorry I can't explain it more fully for anyone else who might get this problem, but I'm just not sure what happened.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/89263-only-two-cores-out-four-showing.html
Relevancy 39.13%

How can I check to be sure that all of my B Cores are being used when I am running applications that are suppose to use all eight?

A:Multiple cores?

You don't say what hardware you have. I would look here first:

Core Temp

also here:

http://dimio.altervista.org/

Also the Task Manager that comes with Windows. Guess these are listed in my order of preference. Core Temp is best if it supports your CPU. Gives peak temperature reading so you know how hot the core got while you were making a sandwich.

http://www.vistax64.com/software/240147-multiple-cores.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Windows Task manager says that System Idle is using most of the memory and it has over 175 threads created last i checked.

I am almost afraid to start a program, this cannot be good for the longevity of my CPU. I'm gonna guess this isn't completely normal. OK, I have owned desktops since the original IBM PC in 1983. It's not.

Any ideas on the subject would be appreciated.

A:All 8 cores at 95% in use, nothing running

System Idle shows you the percentage not being used...

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/86445-all-8-cores-95-use-nothing-running.html
Relevancy 39.13%

hey, i need info on the Intel Core series. i dont know much about them. cept that there really good and the extreme cores r good for gaming. but the higgest speed i have seen for the core cpu's is like, 2.6ghz or something simular. and im eagerly awaiting for CRYSIS to be released. the official system requirments have not been released, just estimates. eastimated cpu speed of 2.8ghz. i want to buy a new cpu and the intel core 2 duos r ment to be the craze. but i dont understand, there clock speed isnt as high? even if you spend $1600 on the cpu. so basically, will one of these babies play CRYSIS? cuz...yeah if it has a few cores? yeah.. someone help please?

A:Intel Cores Duo's?

There are two cores to the processor, both running simutaniousley at the advertised clock speeds - therefore you will be getting twice the power and twice the efficiency. Core2Duo's can be overclocked like crazy - you can easily get a 2.6GHZ to 3.6GHZ.

The answer to your question; you can probably run the game twice, on both cores and still be able to do other things at the same time, piece of cake. I seen Crysis advertised in next doors shop window (it's a tech shop) and it looks pretty good - but it's nothing a C2D can't handle.

Regards,
Nick.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/intel-cores-duos.545586/
Relevancy 39.13%

Hello there, I'm new to the Techspot community so please bare with me XD.

I'v recently built this computer, and I'm just checking that it's all working properly. I was testing the temps on my CPU cores after running a burn in test and they seemed very different. they were:

Core#0: 38C
Core#3: 24C
Core#2: 37C
Core#1: 29C

I mean these are pretty low for a Q9550 but my friend told me it's very weird and he's NEVER seen variations like that, I was just checking with you guys about it.

My Motherboard is GA-EP45-UD3.

thank you for your help

A:Very different temperatures on CPU cores

hey Rig,
do the the temps get closer to even when they are under load?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/very-different-temperatures-on-cpu-cores.121971/
Relevancy 39.13%

hi

i have to run 2 cpu hungery apps on my pc

how do i tell winxp to make one app use core 0 on my pc and the other app use core 1
thanks

A:how do i split cpu cores between app's

Process Lasso will allow you to set process per cpu.
http://bitsum.com/prolasso.php

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-split-cpu-cores-between-apps.1024841/
Relevancy 39.13%

i have just bought a laptop and the modem lead is supplied with a ferrite core.why do i need to use this and can i do without it.the manual says that i should attach a core to audio leads aswell.your help would be gratefully appreciated.thanks

A:ferrite cores

I noticed that the sell them for older monitors too.... I think it has something to do with absorbing excess radiowaves and stuff... FCC regulations... but I really have no clue.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/ferrite-cores-1655.html
Relevancy 39.13%

I would like to know if there is such a program out there..

Wondering also if movie maker in ultimate works to convert from avidvx to dvd just like convertxtodvd does.

Thanks

http://www.vistax64.com/software/92099-avi-dvd-program-uses-4-cores.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Greetings. I have a AMD FX-60 Dual core CPU.

The machine I have it installed in was running XP SP1a fine. Both cores detected and worked fine.

I have upgraded this machine to XP SP2, and now one of the cores has been disabled.

The BIOS shows both cores.
Task Manager only shows one core graph.
Device Manager only has one CPU (I believe it should have two).
The registry (where I can tell) seems to have info on both cores.
CPU-ID identifies only one core operational.
AMD Power Monitor advises either the BIOS or OS has disabled core.

I cannot find any information about how to get/tell XP to enable the second core.

Performance is driving me batty, and I may just reinstall XP SP1a.

Suggestions I'm open to, but I've googled for a long time on this one.

Relevancy 38.7%

I'm rendering a total of 150gb into 15 minute chunks with windows movie maker and it takes FOREVER to make like 5gb files(from avi to wmv compression) and can I use like two or even three of my 4 cores on this?

A:Use multiple cores for one process?

In the large majority of situations it is best to let Windows manage CPU cores. If the application can make use of 4 cores (or even more) and they are not needed for other uses, it will get the use of all of them. Setting CPU affinity will rarely be useful.

The problem is that in many cases the application can't make efficient use of multiple cores. In that case one or may be idle most of the time. There is nothing you can do about this.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/use-multiple-cores-for-one-process-593604.html
Relevancy 38.7%

I have a friend who is having issues with windows vista 64 home edition not recognizing all four cores of processor. Here is what we have done so far:
updated bios
tried to change cores in system config but only giving two core option and we have four.
rma first processor since 3 separate programs(windows,amd overdrive and cpuz) all showed only two cores
checked all appropriate options in gigabyte bios.
All components are compatible. Any help would be appreciated.

ultra 550 watt psu
radeon 4830 gpu
amd athlon II 620
gigabyte am2/am3 motherboard
ocz reaper 1066 memory
vista 64 home premium
1tb wd hard drive
24x dvd rom

A:Vista will not recognize all cores

Hi KRAZYTRUCKER and welcome to Vista Forums

How many cores are being detected in the BIOS? What is the full model number of the motherboard (this should be silk-screened on the board itself)?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/272035-vista-will-not-recognize-all-cores.html
Relevancy 38.7%

i am also having this problem, but my problem is a little more strange, i have a quad core processor, core 2 and 3 both sit at around 35'C at idle but core 0 and 1 sit at around 45 - 50'C somethimes upto 55'C at idle, i really don't understand why it would do this, is the paste the Intel heatsink comes with sufficient with the Intel stock fan?
fan RPM is 1800 and a front 120MM fan and 1 on the side (exhausting the graphics) with a 92MM on the back

A:High Temps On Two Cores

You have a processor cooler fan, a 120mm front fan, a rear 92mm fan and a ? (one on the side). # 1- Is the front fan PULLING air into the chassis?, #2- Is the rear fan EXHAUSTING air from the chassis? #3- What size is the side fan, and is in PULLING air into the chassis, or EXHAUSTING air from the chassis?

Does the chassis have an airguide as shown on the attached pic.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/high-temps-on-two-cores.679158/
Relevancy 38.7%

I built a new computer year ago on an Asus M A TD PRO USB motherboard with a Phenom II AMD cores CPU running at GHz The OS is Windows Service Pack build full retail I recently and repeatedly encountered a crash on my system when using photoshop cs bridge application Phenom (6 hal.dll cores) BSOD AMD II 64 on The problem seems to occur whenever the system is fully loaded e g when opening a directory in photoshop bridge that contains many pictures and while the photoshop cache builds up I also encountered disk errors where the cache resides i e a GB WD velociraptor at rpm but this is probably the consequence rather than the hal.dll BSOD on AMD Phenom II (6 cores) 64 cause of it What is strange is that the same data resided on another slower disk and the problem did not occur there It occured since I hal.dll BSOD on AMD Phenom II (6 cores) 64 moved the data circa GB of pictures into a hal.dll BSOD on AMD Phenom II (6 cores) 64 newer and faster WD GB velociraptor HD precisely when building the cache Googling on photoshop gave me hints to update to latest graphic drivers which I did the graphic card is am ATI Radeon HD with GB of RAM and I am now on version The driver upgrade did not change anything The output of quot whocrashed quot gives me the following hint This was probably caused by the following module hal dll hal x A B Bugcheck code x x xFFFFFA DBB xB A x B Error WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR file path C Windows system hal dll product Microsoft Windows Operating System company Microsoft Corporation description Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL Bug check description This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture WHEA This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem This problem might be caused by a thermal issue The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module Your system configuration may be incorrect Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time I would like to add the following I endured BSODs one year ago and got rid of them once I removed ZoneAlarm and a PCTools anti-virus I do not think that the hardware is directly the cause of it since this is a dual boot config Ubuntu and Linux never crashed Admittedly photoshop bridge is consuming a lot more resources than any Linux programs

A:hal.dll BSOD on AMD Phenom II (6 cores) 64

Quote: Originally Posted by simeon

I built a new computer 1 year ago on an Asus M4A89TD PRO/USB3 motherboard with a Phenom II AMD64 6 cores CPU running at 3.2 GHz.
The OS is : Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601 full retail.

I recently and repeatedly encountered a crash on my system when using photoshop cs4/bridge application.

The problem seems to occur whenever the system is fully loaded, e.g. when opening a directory (in photoshop/bridge) that contains many pictures and while the photoshop cache builds up.

I also encountered disk errors where the cache resides (i.e. a 300 GB WD velociraptor at 10000rpm) but this is probably the consequence rather than the cause of it.

What is strange is that the same data resided on another (slower) disk and the problem did not occur there. It occured since I moved the data circa 250 GB of pictures) into a newer and faster WD 600 GB velociraptor HD, precisely when building the cache...

Googling on photoshop gave me hints to update to latest graphic drivers, which I did (the graphic card is am ATI Radeon HD 5800 with 1 GB of RAM and I am now on version 8.861.0.0 ). The driver upgrade did not change anything...

The output of "whocrashed" gives me the following hint :
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x12A3B)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8007DBB028, 0xB640A000, 0x3B000135)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft? Windows? Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

I would like to add the following: I endured BSODs one year ago and got rid of them once I removed ZoneAlarm and a PCTools anti-virus.

I do not think that the hardware is directly the cause of it, since this is a dual boot config (Ubuntu) and Linux never crashed. Admittedly, photoshop/bridge is consuming a lot more resources than any Linux programs...

Whatever you did on sept 12, 2010 changed the BCC from the pctools/ZAP error (7F) to a hardware 124. I would start with a system file check (to verify and repair OS files)

Run a system file check to verify and repair your system files.
To do this type cmd in search, then right click to run as administrator, then
SFC /SCANNOW

Read here for more information SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Let us know the results from the report at the end.
Did you by chance change the memory then? re-seat a card? something physical?

Any ideas?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/177385-hal-dll-bsod-amd-phenom-ii-6-cores-64-a.html
Relevancy 38.7%

Am I reading CPU-Z or Speccy incorrectly when it shows me my i7 6700HQ has only 2 cores-not 4 as advertised?  CPUID HW Monitor shows the processor as an i5 with 2 cores.  Even more worrying.
Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated,
Jeff

A:New XPS 15 9550 i7 not showing 4 cores-just 2!

The setup page (F2 at powerup) should list the installed CPU -- if it's showing 6700HQ, it's a quad-core and the software you're using likely just hasn't caught up with the skylake CPUs, all of which are very new.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19667160