Windows Support Forum

Primary IDE Slave Not Detected on Windows 7 Ultimate

Q: Primary IDE Slave Not Detected on Windows 7 Ultimate

Hello guys,
This is my first thread here, and my english is not that good also, so excuse me for any mistakes
I have my Prestigio PC for a 5 years and there were no problems. But today when I started the PC, a error occured.
On starting screen(American Megatrends GUI) there was written: "Primary IDE Slave: Not Detected" and after a few seconds my screen went black and "reboot and select proper Boot device or insert boot media into selected boot device and press a key" message appeared.
So I thought that I will just need to put my Win 7 CD to the CD-ROM, but then I found out I lost it while we were moving.
My BIOS is also saying that Primary IDE Slave is not detected
Is there any way to solve this problem? Is there any way to boot Win from USB?
Thank you for answers

Have a nice day!

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Primary IDE Slave Not Detected on Windows 7 Ultimate

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Primary IDE Slave Not Detected on Windows 7 Ultimate

Open up the computer, check that the cables are properly 'seated' (pushed in all the way) on the drive and on the motherboard. I know you said it has worked for several years, but for it not to boot with the Primary IDE Slave not connected the only way that makes sense for this to happen is if the optical drive is jumpered to Master and the hard drive itself to Slave. That is a bit unusual. You typically would have your hard drive as Master and the optical as Slave. It doesn't really matter, as evidenced by it working in the past, it just isn't a 'normal' setup.

If the cables are seated properly (power and data), your drive could have failed.. 5 years is a decent lifespan for a hard drive.

You can make a bootable USB for Windows 7, although you can't without a working computer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/primary-ide-slave-not-detected-on-windows-7-ultimate.207604/
Relevancy 87.42%

Hello guys,
This is my first thread here, and my english is not that good also, so excuse me for any mistakes
I have my Prestigio for a 5 years and there were no problems. But today when i started the PC, a error occured.
On starting screen there was written: "Primary IDE Slave: Not Detected" and after a few seconds my screen went black and "reboot and select proper Boot device or insert boot media into selected boot device and press a key" message appeared.
So i thought that i will just need to put my Win 7 CD to the CD-ROM, but then i found out i lost it while we were moving.
Is there any way to solve this problem? Is there any way to boot Win from USB?
Thank you for answers

Have a nice day!

A:Primary IDE Slave Not Detected Windows 7 Ultimate

Hello Kiko28!

Five years for a hard drive is a long time. The error you are receiving is most probably because of a hardware issue. The drive is old and is very possible that it has died.
You could power off the PC, open the case and check the wiring of the drive. It needs to have a wide IDE/power cable, check if it's correctly connected.
Check in BIOS, do you see the drive?
From what I'm hearing, it sounds to me like the drive may really be gone.

Good luck!

CK_WD

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/355668-primary-ide-slave-not-detected-windows-7-ultimate.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Hello so my computer hasn't been working for a while now.....windows xp x64 os...every time i boot, it gets to the loading screen, and then after that turns black, doesnt get to the login screen...and resets and boots back up again.........read on...
so i've been basically just using a linux mint 7 disc to just use my computer in that live linux mode where i can still browse the internet....
HOWEVER>
A week ago, now i cant even do that because the Primary IDE Slave isn't detected for some reason, I even replugged everything back in..still not even a new windows 7 installation...doesnt work...
what do I do?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/wont-boot-primary-ide-slave-not-detected-427458.html
Relevancy 86.43%

At start up it goes through auto detection of primary and secondary slave and says not detected. does that mean it can't tell if the HD is installed? I'm having boot sequence problems and in the boot sequence for 1st boot device it has no hard drive option. Is the IDE-0 or 1,2,3 another distingtion for HD?

Thanks For Any Help

A:Auto detecting primary slave, not detected

It more than likely means that the drive select jumpers on the back of the hard drive or whatever is in there is or are not set properly.

This will give you an idea of how to possibly remedy it

Illustrated How to Replace a Hard Drive

http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_hard.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/auto-detecting-primary-slave-not-detected.594552/
Relevancy 73.96%

Okay first, I'm going to say that I am not truly computer literate, so if I leave out components just let me know. I have a Nobilis computer that runs off of Window XP. Every time that I boot the computer it tells me that there is no prime slave and no secondary slave. So I looked at forums, googled, blah blah. Well the information that I received told me that the hard drive cable was most likely loose. Problem solved, reconnected it. The computer worked fine for a month. Well now the computer has done the same thing and I tried the previous remedy, but without any luck. Any other suggestions?

A:Everytime I boot it says no primary slave and no secondary slave

Is this computer over 5 years old?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/everytime-i-boot-it-says-no-primary-slave-and-no-secondary-slave.155133/
Relevancy 72.67%

For some reason, Windows thinks my primary slave is a 7.35M HDD, last time i checked it was 4 Gig. the bios recognises it as a 4 gig, and this is also comfirmed by 'hard drive inspector' When i try to access it, im asked to format it. the formating dosent work though. Ive put in a similar HDD which works perfectly. Can any1 help, or at least understand whats going on?
just hoping it hasent died.
running WinXP home, SP2
thankyou.

A:windows thinks my primary slave is a 7.35M HDD

Sounds like it is just seeing one partition.

Right click on My Computer and select manage. On the left hand side you will see something called Disk Management.

How many drive show up there and what size do they say?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-thinks-my-primary-slave-is-a-7-35m-hdd.30451/
Relevancy 72.67%

My computer restarted itself and would not load anything. It said Primary Slave disk failure or something along those lines. Now it has actually managed to get to the screen with the safe mode options and normal startup options but it goes to the windows load screen and then restarts and leaves me back at square one. When I try to go in on safe mode it doesn't even make it to the windows load screen.

I currently don't have a copy of windows xp, I contacted the place where I bought my computer and they told me they don't give out the windows CD's. I thought this was kind of odd seeing how I paid for windows xp. Is there anything I can do without going and buying a new copy of windows?

A:Primary Slave (none) Windows not starting

You need to test the hard drive. You can either download the diagnostic program from the manufacturer and burn it on a CD and boot from it to run it. Or take it to the local computer store and pay them to do it.

You're hard drive is likely defective.

-- Andy

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/primary-slave-none-windows-not-starting.135407/
Relevancy 71.81%

I am running windows xp Today my computer accidently got unplug and plugged back in When the computer rebooted it would not Master Primary Lost and slave! Primary complete the reboot process It asked for the system info disc When that was loading it would not continue on when i tried to complete the install process It stated that it could not detect any Hard Disk Drives Don t understand what is happening here Lost Primary Master and Primary slave! as the cd disk drive is working or it would not of started loading in the first place Can someone please help me out here Not sure what to do and i don Lost Primary Master and Primary slave! t really have the finances to take it to shop for something simple which i am praying it is Thank you Just wanted to add also not detecting secdary slave as well it is detection secondary master it says AOPEN CD-Rom I don t know if this info helps It also said something about POWER SET UP not sure what it really said as it didn t come back up It reverted back to the original message nbsp

Relevancy 69.23%

Getting ready to install a replacement hard drive.
Currently had 2 hard drives, cd burner and cd rom.
It was suggested to me by maxtor tech support that the hard drives should be on separate ide channels as primary masters and the cd's should be hooked under them as primary slaves. If this is true it will take considerable time to move items around and reconfigure.
Is it worth the effort or just leave well enough alone.
Everything was working fine before the second hard drive went south.

A:hd primary master cd primary slave

Putting the 2 HD's on separate channels might improve performance a little, depending on the type of system you have. On the other hand, putting CDROM's on the same cable with Hard drives can slow down access to the hard drive since the I/O controller must determine which drive is being accessed and CDROM's are much slower to respond.
I don't think you will notice much difference either way, so it's probably not worth the trouble to switch.
If your happy with the way you have it, stick with it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hd-primary-master-cd-primary-slave.40765/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi I have bought windows not by Slave detected being a gb hd to be my slave to my gb current hd I plugged it in and put the power cable in set the jumpers started up but i cant find it Its vibrating a little and heated up a little so its working I had the same problem when i installed my graphics card which i believe is due to bios software not allowing for upgrades as they don t want me to do that Packard bell that is And for that i took it to the shop who installed it for Slave not being detected by windows me and replaces a load of drivers which i have Slave not being detected by windows on a CD which i was told not to put into my CD drive Its being detected in BIOS as the slave but windows wont have it Any ideas some stuff might be helpful Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA- SIMLNF NF Chips Set SiS IDE Controller SiS Slave not being detected by windows PCI IDE Controller Any more information that would help ill provide Thanks for any help Peanut nbsp

A:Slave not being detected by windows

Im going to try and get a bootable programme, boot it and then format the drive inside this
That might help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/slave-not-being-detected-by-windows.597176/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi all
How do I correct what seems like a corrupt Bios...I tired to flash
but it has problems writing. Initial issue was ..my primary slave WD 30GB HDD kept disappering from CMOS.. I ran diagnostics on it, and no errors reported back from from manufacturers utility..anytime I finally get it loaded back in.. and try to access anything..everything freezes.. I have to reboot and it disappers..
no problem with my other WD 120GB. I have checked for virus, worms, torjans etc. I use a WD utility to check BIOS and get
Device error reading Drive 1 Absolute Sector 13381200

A:Problem with Primary Slave

it lookes like a bad drive, diagnostics programs cannot detect every problem, it might just be instable, try refreshing it in the BIOS or giveing it to the junk yard

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-with-primary-slave.83759/
Relevancy 63.64%

I've been getting this error lately if I reboot my PC - I'm guessing my main HD is dying but when I use EVEREST or SpeedFan to "S.M.A.R.T." scan the HD, it gives me some pretty decent results. Is there a software that'll provide me with more accurate results?

It seems to be fine if I shut off the computer entirely & turn it on again, only then will it actually boot properly into Windows. Otherwise I either get that error or it'll freeze on the ASUS Motherboard logo.

A:Primary Slave Error

Test the hard drive with the utility from the manufacturer.

I have found the smartctl utility (part of the smartmontools package) to give the best results when prodding SMART. It happily displays the SMART log contents too (the last 5 notable errors the drive encountered).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/primary-slave-error.49378/
Relevancy 62.78%

We are hooking up a second DVD player. The first DVD player/burner is on Primary Master.

Which would be better to use for the second DVD player, Primary Slave, or Secondary Master, or doesn't it make any difference performance wise?

Relevancy 62.78%

I have an athalon 1200 on an asus a7a266 OS Winxp SP2 512mb onboard.
Last year I replaced the main drive after four years of use with a Western Digital drive.
recently on boot up, the system can no longer detect either the primary master or the primary slave drives. It does se the secondary slave as my Lite-On DVDRW SOHW-812s.
Other than the master drive going away,(hopefully not) Is there any suggestions on what may have happened? The Asus MBO is 5 years old by the way.

Relevancy 62.78%

On boot-up, I see two primary drives listed, which is correct. But when I get into XP, it only shows the primary master c: drive. If I boot into safe mode, primary slave e: shows up. Anybody see this problem before? Thanks.

A:Solved: XP not listing primary slave

Is this a new build? Were the two drives there before? If so did you do anything before this happened? Does Device Manager show everything working?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-xp-not-listing-primary-slave.359892/
Relevancy 62.78%

I managed to install a gb hard drive in my computer Everything worked fine but I had to go back in amp plug the side fan in after I did that I wanted to make sure it worked so I plugged the Slave Master disabled say & Primary computer in amp turned it on one fan in the back wasn t working so I turned it Primary Master & Slave say disabled off and tried changing things then plugged in again to make a long story shorter I turned my computer Primary Master & Slave say disabled off and on or times before closing it all up amp hooking everything up once I got it all hooked up amp monitor on it didn t seem to load right it stayed in dos mode longer and I noticed it said PRI MASTER DISABLED and it said PRI SLAVE DISABLED as well So it seemed like since plugging it in amp unplugging several times seemed to mess things up it did finally go to windows but I m thinking that something needs to be set in the BIOS area but I need some specific instructions on what to do in there Can anyone help me please Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

I bought a new computer, and my brother and I put it together. When I turn on the computer, it runs EXTREMLY slow through Post and then when it gets to the A:>prompt (no OS on t his one yet!) it reads c:> drive as the CDRW. No hard drive to be found!! I then tried just unplugging the CDRW and it ran through great, but still has a problem of not showing the Hard drive though it has been detected. What I need to know is this: Why does my CDRW come up as a primary master/slave item when it is just a CDRW?! Is there a way to fix it??

Relevancy 62.78%

I Win98 by recognized New Primary Slave not m trying to replace an original HD with a new HD I thought I could set-up the new one as slave and copy all files to the new drive and then replace the original drive So far I have installed the new HD downstream on the ribbon cable from the original I set the jumper to slave on the new HD I removed the power cable from a Zip drive because I didn t have an additional power source When I boot up and go into BIOS or CMOS whichever it is I see the original HD as Primary Master and the new HD as Primary Slave Everything looks okay right But when Win boots up I don t see any sign of the new HD On some advice I received from a chat room I added quot lastdrive Z quot to my config sys file but that didn t help I read some other posts here and went into the device manager screen and I see two entries for GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE The first one has a current drive letter assignment of C and the second one doesn t have an assignment it s grayed out I tried to type something in and it wouldn t take In other posts I have read that a new HD set-up disk is required But I also New Primary Slave not recognized by Win98 read that if I am replacing my old disk and am just going to copy all file from master to slave that it wasn t necessary I hope I m not rehashing an old problem New Primary Slave not recognized by Win98 but I couldn t find the answer in the other posts Thanks in advance for your help Mike Scott nbsp

A:New Primary Slave not recognized by Win98

with a new harddrive, even though it is not a primary it has to be fdisked and formatted.
be careful not to fdisk and format the wrong hd

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-primary-slave-not-recognized-by-win98.63709/
Relevancy 62.78%

ok, when I set up my bios and then my operating system (Win XP) and I boot up I get a error that states "Secondary Master not found, press f1 to resume. What did I do wrong and can anyone explain these four to me please. I would really appreciate it because it is driving me crazy.

A:primary master, primary slave, secondary master, and secondary slave

Did you set everything up correctly and do you have something plugged into the secondary master position? (on the same cable that connects your harddrive, but on the middle connector).

If not you can go into your bios and turn off the secondary master, which is probably set to "auto". This happened to a friend of mine recently, and I don't know why it couldn't detect one since it was set on auto, but since he didn't have anything connected anyway I just turned it off for him.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/primary-master-primary-slave-secondary-master-and-secondary-slave-27162.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Good morning All I am having a problem with getting my HP PII system to see any slave not drive System seeing primary drive that is connected to the slave porition of either EIDE cable in the Primary or Secondary postition The system runs on Windows The system has drives installed hard drives CD writer and regular CD-ROM I had my first HD connected to the Primary Master System not seeing primary slave drive second HD connected to Primary Slave CD-ROM on Secondary Master and CD Writer on Secondary Slave The system uses cable select cables The problem starteed when the my primary HD Primary Master crapped out on me and I had to get it replaced under warranty I took the old drive out connected the Primary Master System not seeing primary slave drive portion of the EIDE cable to what was then my Primary Slave drive so that it would be the Primary Master being cable select I didn t worry about the jumpers When I received my new drive I went to install it but the system would only see what was plugged into the Primary Master and not the Primary Slave I tried both cables in both the Secondary and Primary positions and even adjusted System not seeing primary slave drive the jumpers on the drives to their specific assignments instead of using cable select I also tried this on my CD drives with the same results The system would however see the Primary Master and both Secondary drives with everyting connected as it should be Nothing that I did got Windows or the MaxBlast software to see the drive I am pretty sure that the cable is fine and I made no changes to the system BIOS when I took the drives out originally Any ideas on why the system refuses to see the Primary Secondary would be great Thanks in advance and have a great day nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

i just bought thisi Maxtor ultra ata 300 gb HD. installed it successfully. is it possible to install a different OS (windows vista) into this HD vs my master HD using winXP? i know i'm missing some steps here? if possible, can u help me? thanx.

A:possible to install diff. OS on primary slave HD?

Hello yodaddi,
Of course you can install second OS on the slave drive, but I'd suggest you to use OS Selector. This program allows install even more then 2 OSs on 1 partition.
It has very good-looking boot wizard, where you could easily chose what OS you want to boot, from the slave drive too. So you wouldn't need to switch the jumpers.
It's very convenient and easy. I installed the second OS, using this soft, without any issue!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/possible-to-install-diff-os-on-primary-slave-hd.447454/
Relevancy 62.78%

help plz i'm having a trouble about my pc its my hdd i can't partition it or format and when i restart it fail to detect my drives what should i do done everything still wont work help plz asap thnx.

A:Primary master fail & primary slave fail

What happen prior to this issue? Other than that sounds like the onboard HDD controller gone poof (bad) it can happen without warning. But in your case again what changes did you make to your system prior?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/primary-master-fail-primary-slave-fail.148346/
Relevancy 62.35%

I had to shut down my computer with the power button without going through quot Start gt Shut Down quot and now it restarts asking me to quot Press F to continue the restart quot because quot WARNING Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive A failure predicted on SMART failure slave primary may be imminent SMART failure predicted on primary slave quot I have not SMART failure predicted on primary slave had any problems prior to this with any devices on the computer except for a faulty ALi PCI USB Firewire combo card I have kept this PCI card on the computer because the USB ports SMART failure predicted on primary slave work even though the Firewire ports don't I have a GB Maxtor H on the primary master and a GB Maxtor Y L on the primary slave The system event viewer shows multiple quot IO WARNING PAGING FAILURE quot errors and warnings on quot device quot quot The driver disabled the write cache on device Device Harddisk DR quot primary slave and quot The driver disabled the write cache on device Device Harddisk DR quot primary master So far I have disabled the paging file on the primary slave and set the paging file to system managed on the primary master and uninstalled the PIO mode back to DMA mode on device and device verified I plan to check the RAM with memtest in a little while I already had write caching disabled on all drives several months ago Just prior to the quot hard power down quot I was running Google Desktop search and had just installed the latest Windows security updates My system was cleaned of spyware with Ad-aware and Spybot a few days ago I'm wondering if this is a legitimate quot predicted failure quot on the primary slave or an error as a result of the quot hard power-down quot perhaps while the system was writing to the paging file I really need to back-up all of the GB of data on that hard drive primary slave but as soon as I start to access a shared folder main folder on that drive the computer reboots It seems that I can still access all the non-shared folders on that drive however How can I rescue all my data off the primary slave before the hard drive fails System Specs Asus A V Motherboard MHz AMD Duron Processor MB RAM WinXP Pro Follow-up After un-sharing the folder via MMC I am now able to access data on that folder without the computer crashing But I'm not convinced that my problem is solved I still want to back-up my data onto a new external hard drive before the old hard drive fails

A:SMART failure predicted on primary slave

General, SMART failures/errors are real.

Download Maxtor's dignostic tools and run them to verify.

AFA accessing the data to back up ... Safe Mode maybe?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/smart-failure-predicted-on-primary-slave-65859.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I installed Windows7 Home Premium on my SSD drive without reformatting the other drive that originally had it installed. I am now trying to format that drive (D) and keep being denied since it still shows to be, Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition) in Computer Management. I've tried CMD (as administrator), safe mode with cmd prompt and always get the message "System Partition is not allowed to be formatted".
Can anyone clue me in on getting this drive formatted? Appreciate any help

A:How can I format a slave drive that has a primary partition?

Always unplug all other HD's when installing an OS. Now you must recover the System boot files into Win7 on the SSD.

Unplug all other HD's, Mark Partition Active. then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/241556-how-can-i-format-slave-drive-has-primary-partition.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I did a raw format. Everyting is running fine however my hard drive is showing as primary IDE slave.My cd is showing fine as secondary master. Does this matter?

A:Hard Drive Showing As Primary Slave?

Change the jumper to Master. If it's the only drive on the primary channel, you can use CS (Cable Select)...

If everythings running you can leave it as is I suppose

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-showing-as-primary-slave.66699/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi,

I have just added a hard drive to my pc, second hd, not a partition. The computer recognizes it, device manager recognizes it, it's working properly. I know there isn't anything wrong with it because i just reformatted it. After i installed it the drivers were automatically loaded (OS XP home sp1). The problem is that when i open My computer, it only shows my primary master (C:\ 40 gig.....) i cant seem to get it to show my slave. I've tried to refresh the screen open it in safe mode, opened it as admin...nothing i've done seems to work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 62.35%

i have plugged in a 80gb hdd as a primary slave to a 20gb hdd... both are connected with one cable.

when i open Bios to detect the HDD it begins to detect it but stops and freezes before it can calculate the HDD space.

when i load the computer without going into bios it gets to the menu where u can press F8 for the different loading options and it recognises the new HDD as the primary slave (its on auto detect). BUT it says the HDD only has 65GB when by itself it usually says it is 75.

The computer loads fine and it detects new hardware, but it does not assign a drive letter to the slave.
I am using win98... the two harddrives are

Segate 20GB 5400 RPM
Western Digital 80GB 7200 RPM
help would be much appreciated.

Relevancy 62.35%

Hi, I just formated my PC and changed my PC's configuration from using Maxtor 80G HD from being a slave to a master.
Right now instead of using 2 HD, I'm just using the new Maxtor 80G HD.
But everytime I try, my system can't detect Maxtor as a Primary Master even though I had set the HD jumpers. But when I remove the jumpers, it has no problem detecting it as a Primary Slave.
I tried the bios option and it can detect the HD when I redo the auto detect option, but won't detect again when I try to start up.
I am using Athalon 700.
256RAM

Please help me out.
I'm running out of ideas.

Relevancy 62.35%

Hi folks,

I recently upgraded from Win98SE to XP Pro. Now my primary slave is not recognized. Running diskmgmt.msc shows the drive, but while my Primary master (C) shows as FAT32, the slave has no entry in the field. In addition, I receive the message: "disk in drive D: is not formatted" when I try to access this disk. I hope the data can still be accessed somehow, I have over 50 gig of data on there!
Master (C - WD 30 Gig
Slave (D - WD 80 Gig

any help is greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 62.35%

I just discovered that my Primary HDD is in the slave SATA port and my Slave HDD is plugged in a SATA primary port Is this why my OS keeps losing its keyboard drivers and causing my pen tablet wacom intuos to in Primary HDD slave plugged port SATA malfunction During POST and in BIOS my keyboard runs smoothly I've been searching around the net why these Primary HDD plugged in SATA slave port usb peripherals are malfunctioning inside the OS but I couldn't find an answer I turned ON 'Legacy USB support' and it worked - for only a couple of days This is my daily routine during power-up Power on PC At the Windows start-up screen light on the numlock indicator dies down Keyboard's unusable at this time I have to log-in using the virtual keyboard After logging in I unplug the keyboard from the port and put it back in after a few seconds I go to Devices and Printers I would see an exclamation mark on the keyboard icon I right click on it and click 'troubleshoot ' Windows searches for drivers and then I click 'apply fix ' keyboard is now usable My problem with my Intuos When I use it at Photoshop I takes like ms to respond every brush stroke Other photoshop-tablet problems I didn't encounter when I still had Windows XP This is happening on my month-old upgraded system Core i on ASUS P H -M motherboard Windows -bit

A:Primary HDD plugged in SATA slave port

Do you have your hard drives set up to be AHCI enabled in the BIOS?

That will help with speed and such. Turn off the IDE mode in the BIOS too.

Make sure your primary boot drive is plugged into port 0 or 1 (as some motherboards label it). Check your motherboard manual to see how the SATA ports are labeled.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/141800-primary-hdd-plugged-sata-slave-port.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Ive tried almost everything to get one of the computers im trying to fix to work Basically i need the cd rom drive to work so i can install windows and other applications on it Upon loading the system detects that there is a harddrive but no primary slave secondary master etc On the cmos all the drives are on quot auto detect quot which means it should be able to detect the cd rom drive Ive tried the following things to make the cd rom drive work Replacing the cd drive with another and ive tried this three times and it wouldnt work Ive also tested the cd rom drives on other computers and they seem to work fine Ive moved the slave the drive with Problem primary detecting jumpers around ive put the cd rom drive to slave primary etc Ive also moved the hard drive jumpers around to Problem with detecting the primary slave drive see if this would have any effect But no it doesn t Both the cd drive and the harddrive used to be connected to the motherboard with just one cable I put in another cable and connected Problem with detecting the primary slave drive the cd rom drive to the secondary IDE and the hard drive to the primary IDE Still the cd rom drive has refused to be detected It is most definitely not a problem with cd rom drive and iam now clueless on what to do Any ideas Ty for your help nbsp

A:Problem with detecting the primary slave drive

Do you just have one cdrom and one Hdd?? Try replacing the cable

Go to your bios and change the boot order to read the cdrom first.

let us know

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-detecting-the-primary-slave-drive.22298/
Relevancy 62.35%

My mom's computer died we are picking up a new one for her, what I need to know if I slave the old hard drive into the new PC is there a way for me to transfer her Favorites from IE and her email contacts from incredimail from the old drive to the new one? Thanks.

If this is in the wrong section mods let me know or please move it. thanks.

A:transfering bookmarks etc from a slave to primary drive.

I'm not too sure about Incredimail, but for IE favorites, you need to navigate to the X:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Favorites (where 'X' is the drive letter of your slave drive and %USER% is the name of the user you want to copy data from) and copy the contents of the favorites folder to C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Favorites (where I'm assuming that C: is your new hard drive and %USER% is the new user name). After that, the favorites will show up in IE.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/transfering-bookmarks-etc-from-a-slave-to-primary-drive.619693/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi I have a Pentium III running windows XP that I recently reformatted the hard drive on and when I did I created 2 partitions (which is new to me). Today I went to add my old hard drive as a slave and it will not recognize it. I'm wondering if it is due to the partitions I made. I can do that configuration right?

Relevancy 62.35%

I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to comps so please bear with me While on the computer with my friend the electricity went off for an hour or so When we later turned the computer back on the shortcut to the F drive on the desktop led to an error message saying it wasn recognized no longer Drive Slave Primary t there i clicked on my Primary Slave Drive no longer recognized computer and inside drive a c and my two disk drives were present but there was no f I properly rebooted and Primary Slave Drive no longer recognized watched the black screen with the white font during startup and was able to see that both hard drives were listed once inside it was nowhere to be found we removed the old f drive and put in a brand new one and installed it inside my computer it was represented by the drive letter f Then after another proper reboot the new f drive was gone i would like to know if anyone has ever heard of this happening how can a computer recognize a hard disk drive one minute and then after rebooting no longer recognize it is there a setting which somehow was changed during the power outage maybe there is a cord or wire that was damaged there was almost Gb of data on the original f drive and i hope i can get it back please don t hesitate to dumb down your replies i need to have any possible solutions spelled out for me we are using windows xp thanks so much for all your help nbsp

Relevancy 62.35%

I had to shut down my computer with the power button without going through quot Start gt Shut Down quot and now it restarts asking me to quot Press F to continue the restart quot because quot WARNING Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive A failure may be imminent SMART failure predicted on primary slave quot I have not had any problems prior to this with any devices on the computer except for a faulty ALi PCI USB Firewire combo card I have kept this PCI card on the computer because the USB ports work even though the Firewire ports don predicted on failure primary slave SMART t I have a GB Maxtor H on the primary master and a GB Maxtor Y L on the primary slave The system event viewer shows multiple quot IO WARNING PAGING FAILURE quot errors and warnings on quot device quot quot The driver disabled the write cache on device Device Harddisk DR quot primary slave and quot The driver disabled the write cache on device Device Harddisk DR quot primary master So far I have disabled the paging file on the primary slave and set the paging file to system managed on the primary master and uninstalled the PIO mode back to DMA mode on device and device verified I plan to check the RAM with memtest in a little while I already had write caching disabled on all drives several months ago Just prior to the quot hard power down quot I was running Google Desktop search and had just installed SMART failure predicted on primary slave the latest Windows security updates My system was cleaned of spyware with Ad-aware and Spybot a few days ago I m wondering if this is a legitimate quot predicted failure quot on the primary slave or an error as a result of the quot hard power-down quot perhaps while the system was writing to the paging file I really need to back-up all of the GB of data on that hard drive SMART failure predicted on primary slave primary slave but as soon as I start to access a shared folder main folder on that drive the computer reboots It seems that I can still access all the non-shared folders on that drive however How can I rescue all my data off the primary slave before the hard drive fails System Specs Asus A V Motherboard MHz AMD Duron Processor MB RAM WinXP Pro nbsp

Relevancy 62.35%

I am trying to rebot my computer and I can not get to my desktop. I keep getting an error "detecting primary slave none"

A:Error Message Detecting Primary Slave None

Welcome to BC
For some reason the Sysrem's BIOS isn't recognizing the second device on the main IDE (I assume) channel. Did you recently add a second hard drive or a CD or DVD burner/player? If yes, you probably have the jumpers set wrong. Make sure there are no disks left in any drives.
Mark

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/119721/error-message-detecting-primary-slave-none/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi I m Garry,

I am facing problem in installing seagate ATA HDD as primary slave.I have samsung primary master (40GB ATA).I did the partiton of new Seagate 80 GB HDD.but after rebbot my system is hanged.I checked CMOS bios setup.Every thig is fine.Once system got boot , but new HDD was not detected but CMOS setup shows the new 80GB HDD.Then i restarted the system,system came up,detected HDD but got hanged in between.Without new HDD,systemworks fine.Pls help me.I didnt format the new HDD & i did the partition with partition magic.My primary HDD has win98 & win xp.I am doing all this on WIN XP.

Hope you people will help me.

Cheers Garry

A:Problem in installing seagate ATA HDD as primary slave.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I have edited and moved your post to it`s own thread in the correct forum. I`m sure someone will be along to help you soon.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-in-installing-seagate-ata-hdd-as-primary-slave.79798/
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi I am trying to config my Outlook 2000, I had just installed on my new Primary drive (OS: WIN 2000) with the settings calender/mailboxes; accountds etc., from Outlook 2000 located on my smaller drive (now setup as a slave drive OS: Win98)

Any Ideas how I can do this the most effective way??

Thks in advance 4 your help

A:How to bring Outlook 2000 settings from Slave to Primary

Here is a link...

I think they also have a tool that will do it for you.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;196492&Product=out2K

Have a good one.

Shane

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-bring-outlook-2000-settings-from-slave-to-primary.271065/
Relevancy 61.49%

Wow do not BIOS and Primary/Secondary Master Slave detecting I need help I have been working on BIOS not detecting Primary/Secondary Master and Slave computers all week on my spare time I have an old Dell Dimension from that I wanted to fix up for my daughter but kept getting during installing the operating system on the hard drive quot set up does not detect BIOS not detecting Primary/Secondary Master and Slave hard drive disks quot or whatever The drive I was trying to use was once the primary Wester Digital Drive that came in it from Dell and I upgraded to a gig and made that one my slave drive So I was BIOS not detecting Primary/Secondary Master and Slave going to take out the gig and put it in a computer that I am building for my son and put the gig back in the Dell as the Primary Drive but kept getting that message Take it back out and put back in the gig that already had the operating system and it would work fine So that is how I found this website I did everything others suggested My BIOS didn t have the options that worked for so many others I formated the hard drive ran error check on it and so on and so on until I finally gave up and just used the gig I had and went and bought another at Best Buy they have a good deal on it right now bucks Anyway now to my new problem I have everything for my sons computer It has a INTEL P MOTHERBOARD amp CELERON D GHz CPU FAN COMBO and here are the specs CPU Socket support Intel Pentium Prescott processor Hyper-Threading support FSB MHz Chipset SiS GX amp L Memory x -pin DIMMs support DDR Memory Max capacity GB Slots x AGP X x PCI slots x CNR slot IDE x UltraDMA Audio C-Media CMI A -channel audio Codec Video Embedded Real E D Graphics with M share memory LAN Realtek RTL BL Mbps Fast Ethernet PHY Ports x USB Ports x headers x PS ports x Parallel Port x Serial Port x VGA port x RJ- Port x Audio I O Line-in Line-out and Mic-in Form Factor Micro-ATX x mm Package Retail I bought it on ebay I hooked it up to a powmax tower I hooked up the new gig hard drive right the DVD CD Drive floppy and graphics card When I turn it on it turns on lights up and than in the BIOS it says it does not detect the Primary Master and the Secondary Master I don t have slaves on them Funny thing is I will let it sit for a little go in and hit power and it will detect them for a few seconds maybe a minute and than stop Even start to run the windows CD I have in the DVD and than just stop I don t know what is up I tried clearing the CMOS but that does not work I just have to go back into BIOS to set the clock and date again and still no detection Can anyone please help me with this I am spending way to much time on these computers my wife is about to kick my nbsp

A:BIOS not detecting Primary/Secondary Master and Slave

hello and welcome to TS.

what brand and model is that motherboard? assuming that you did in fact do everything right, it does sound like a problem with the motherboard.

the power supply could also be causing this. what brand and model is it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bios-not-detecting-primary-secondary-master-and-slave.64741/
Relevancy 61.49%

Howard I am officially in trouble Last evening I came home to discover my computer frozen on my desktop After rebooting the BIOS registered my primary HD as a slave drive IDE - slave with primary empty followed by a message stating that the computer couldn t boot the OS I ran the Windows XP CD to the recovery console and found that I could not do anything with my C drive i e dir came back with an error My other HDs are not bootable and somewhat full so I BIOS primary registered my drive? the HD After slave as rebooting, a have decided to purchase a new HD and do a clean install As for the OS After rebooting, the BIOS registered my primary HD as a slave drive? since my XP was an upgrade After rebooting, the BIOS registered my primary HD as a slave drive? from a few yrs back and I no longer have I have purchased Vista Home Premium After rebooting, the BIOS registered my primary HD as a slave drive? in the hopes that a clean install of the new HD and new OS will solve some of my headaches Any thoughts on the future of my C The drive is less than yrs old and is a fairly standard GB Western Digital RPM MB Ultra ATA drive Any other things I should consider before taking this drastic measure One additional motivation for doing this cleanup is that my files are poorly organized across my HDs today and one of them has a prior OS on it XP Home in blue-screen perpetuity I figure its time for a full-scale clean up Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated In the meantime i ll try not to cry all that much Thanks again -Ben nbsp

A:After rebooting, the BIOS registered my primary HD as a slave drive?

I don`t have a clue what has caused that. I`ve therefore moved your last post from this thread http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic69055.html to it`s own thread in our Storage and Networking forum.

Regards Howard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/after-rebooting-the-bios-registered-my-primary-hd-as-a-slave-drive.69404/
Relevancy 61.49%

I installed win2000pro and it only showed my C hard drive.
Restarted in BIOS and told it to detect my D hard drive as the primary slave.
On start up on the black screen it appears.
When I click on the computer icon, it shows D as being my cd/rw and not the slave drive.
What can I do to fix this?
if it matters - I did a clean install
256 RAM
40 GIG HD - primary master
1 GIG HD - primary slave.
Thanks! You all are always so helpful!

Relevancy 61.06%

First off, I'm using Windows 98 SE. I have just installed a new 120 Gb Western Digital Hard Drive as my primary slave drive. BIOS successfully detected the new drive. I used the bootable diskette (as supplied by WD) to run the installation software, formatting and partitioning the drive as an additional device. This went successfully. However, when I reboot, I get the message:
"NO OS found. Insert OS setup disk and then press any key." Everything in BIOS seems to be okay, but I cannot get the computer to start up Windows from my original drive. When I unplug the new WD drive, everything works fine and the system boots up as normal.

A:computer will not boot after installation of new hard drive as primary slave

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-will-not-boot-after-installation-of-new-hard-drive-as-primary-slave.313081/
Relevancy 60.2%

Please guide me - confused with SATA PATA Primary Secondary guide Secondary me PATA - Primary confused Please Slave...!!! master SATA with master Slave Respected members and gurus I am a non technical person and am only good at using computers for my finance jobs Please guide me - confused with SATA PATA Primary Secondary master Slave...!!! and NOT configuring it From last three days I Please guide me - confused with SATA PATA Primary Secondary master Slave...!!! have been reading and reading and reading about SATA PATA Primary Secondary master slave and so on but now i think i really need help as my head is spinning WHAT I HAVE Intel Motherboard GBF Two Hard disks Disk Please guide me - confused with SATA PATA Primary Secondary master Slave...!!! One is PATA of GB having windows advanced server loaded by my company beyond my abiility to load it for me with me being as administrator However there is no other computer connected to it Disk two is SATA of GB having two partitions C and D both partitions having windows xp professional operating system and Gb each Now on Disk Two i Used to work in Partition C with data saved on D But one fine day without my knowledge the C OS crashed and so i started working on D It has all the data Lots of valuable data is there in SATA hard disk two above in partition D WHAT I AM PLANNING I have purchased one PATA Hard Disk of GB to back up my valuable data on Partition D of disk one as I am feeling scared what shall happen if the partition D also crashes like partition C on second SATA hard disk In addition I am planning to purchase one either PATA or SATA please say which one should i purchase for backing up data which is there on PATA DISK One WHY I AM SO CONFUSED I am lost between PATA SATA primary secondary master slave as its truly beyond my technical capability to understand I have been surfing net and reading online materials for hours from last three days without any conclusion WHAT HELP I NEED Please guide me as to how should the hard disks all from seagte Hard Disk One PATA windows advanced server Gb Hard Disk Two SATA windows XP professional edition Hard Disk Three PATA blank brand new Hard Disk Four SATA or PATA decided by you people to be purchased soon be installed on my Intel GBF motherboard so that all primary secondary master slave i am lost in these terms configurations are properly done What should be my ideal back up strategy and how should i go about it I know that there are many many knowledgeable and experienced members in this forum who have great ideas and knowledge to effectively deal with the above issue Please be kind enough to elaborate on what u think should be my approach for a installation on motherboard b backing up c disk management strategy which is optimised for best performance under my situation ALSO can i have all the three Hard Disks connected simultaneously to my system Also can i access data of one disk while being booted into another hard disk Thank u for ur anticipated help and valuable advices regards sunando sunandoghosh at rediffmail dot com p s Please elaborate ur suggestion so that i can understand it with reasons if u deem fit for better understanding ALSO suggest please the best simple back up strategy You need to please speciafy a detailed simple step by step installation partitioning formatting and back up strategy for me thank u so so much also if u want to add anything please add nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-guide-me-confused-with-sata-pata-primary-secondary-master-slave.407647/
Relevancy 59.77%

I was trying to install Java and Flash onto my vista x64 ultimate and both flash and java sites detected my os as Windows 95!

Is this a bug or something wrong with my computer?

Advice pse.....

A:Vista x64 Ultimate detected as Windows 95

Hello Temasek, and welcome to Vista Forums.

It's most likely something wrong with those websites. See if you can install them from the source sites of these programs below.

Adobe Flash:
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...h&promoid=BIOW

Sun Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 7:
Java SE Downloads

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/183886-vista-x64-ultimate-detected-windows-95-a.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hey there!
I use a HP Pavilion dv5-1004nr Notebook PC that came with Windows Vista (64 BIT) installed on it. The Bluetooth adapter worked fine till I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate (32 BIT). From then on, the device manager doesn't show any Bluetooth Devices; 'HP Bluetooth software' [ downloaded from HP website for my Laptop Model and Windows 7 (32 BIT) ] won't install saying something along the lines of 'No Bluetooth Devices found...'
I tried installing the 32 BIT driver manually through "Add a Legacy Device" and still had no luck. My BIOS has no options similar to turning the Bluetooth adapter on/off.
Furthermore, I upgraded my BIOS corresponding to Windows 7 (32 BIT) and my Laptop Model from the HP website- still no luck!
All other devices work fine after the upgrade though and there is not a single "Unknown Device" shown in the Device Manager.
Any help would be really appreciated.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/bluetooth-adapter-not-detected-in-windows-7-ultimate-452689.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi everyone,
The IDE ATApi channel: secondary channel Device 1's Current Transfer Mode says"Not Applicable". The Registry does not have Slave ID Data Check Summ at all. How do I delete and reboot to regain the secondary slave. I have Win Xp. do reply Im in a fix

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/secondary-slave-of-ide-not-detected-435596.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Ok I m fairly new with working on my computer hardware wise so please bare with me lol I recently bought a new HD Maxtor DiamondMax Drive Not Detected?!? Slave Being Plus GB and installed it just fine and left my GB HD to collect dust in my room My friend urged me to install the old HD as a slave drive to have some extra space and retrieve some old files we have on it still So I pulled out the HD and began to work with the little bit of instructions he gave me This is what I did Opened my case and found my HD cables I took the cable that was attached to my mobo and hd and plugged it into my slave drive there is Slave Drive Not Being Detected?!? a grey piece in the middle of it I was told to put it in The already installed HD is set to master and I set my old HD to Slave keep in mind they are two different brands I ll post them below Turned my system back on and went into my bios My system was unable to detect the slave drive Slave Drive Not Being Detected?!? This is the crossroads were I m at I have no idea why its Slave Drive Not Being Detected?!? not detecting the HD and I have no idea what to do - My HDs Installed Master - Maxtor DiamondMax Plus GB Old Want to be Slave - SeaGate GB I was thinking maybe it has something to do with my old HD still having windows and such on it but I was told that doesn t matter The SeaGate was already installed into an E-Machines my mother bought about - years ago so its really old Comp specs E-Machine Pentium III mhz Windows XP had I just bought XP and put on it I really couldn t tell you anything else because I m not sure I have no idea what the mobo is or anything So I m officially making a plea to anyone willing to help who has knowledge of this area to help me figure this out I really would like to get some of the stuff off this HD and then format it to use as extra space nbsp

Relevancy 57.19%

hay,

i had just posted a thread in this forums about how to fix my cd rom because i knocked it off its cogs. I fixed it and i can push it in and out but when i connected it back up to my computer and turned my computer on it said secondary slave not found.

I made sure all the wires were connected and everything and i even tried the backup wires but it didnt work.

A:scondary slave not detected

Hi, I am not sure the CD drive will work right- even if the drawer goes in and out right.... but it might.
Also are you sure it is set up as a SLAVE drive? Most users have CDROMs as the secondary Master drive....
Check all the cables for tightness to connectors.
If you removed any....is pin1 red stripe to pin1 of drive and the IDE connectors on motherboard?
Try this- go into Device Manager and find the CDROM entry....select Remove, reboot, let it be reinstalled when you reboot. This works for most drives.
You may have to reset the drive settings to AUTO in BIOS....do you know how to operate in BIOS and how to get in it?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/scondary-slave-not-detected.150821/
Relevancy 56.76%

I am in the process of intergrating a new computer and everything is going smoothly until I get to post ........ the message I get then is "No Primary HDD Detected" ..... it recognises the HDD but only as "Third IDE Master" and describes its entity ...... it is a brand new Seagate 250gb Sata2 HDD ..... am I right to assume that it will not recognise it until it has been formatted and initialised. Welcome advise before I proceed>

jonuck,

Relevancy 56.76%

Just picked up a used Intel D GGC MoBo I ve tried booting it up but it won t detect the primary IDE channel The secondary seems to work fine I m trying to set up one ide hdd and a dvd drive to load up windows XP I belive the first few times I turned on the IDE detected being Primary not system the primary IDE might have detected but it s very rare that it does The secondary IDE slot is also a little touchy but does detect both hdd and DVD drives regularly Unfortunately I don t have a SATA hdd or I d be fine with just running the DVD drive on the secondary IDE and ignoring the screwy primary but I don t have a SATA to try to get the machine up and running Does this sound like an issue that might possibly be helped by rolling back the bios version or does this sound surly mechanical failure on the MoBo What about putting IDE Primary not being detected the HDD as secondary ide master and the DVD drive as secondary slave would that even work I m bummed cause I wanna get this thing going BTW I ve already tried new cables the drives all work in other machines and the PSU is solid Any ideas thanks nbsp

A:IDE Primary not being detected

Hi

both on the secondary would be ok, as long as the BIOS points to it as the first bootable device.

Most people dont recommend the DVD on the same channel as it slows down it data ransfer rate however i can live with it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ide-primary-not-being-detected.138394/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi,

I was running primary master & primary slave HDDs, both IDE drives (master 160GB, slave 40GB) with WinXP Pro installed on primary master and no OS on primary slave which is configured as a dynamic disk. I recently reformatted the master (w/WinXP Pro) and now the slave is no longer detected by the BIOS. I don't think this is an issue of incorrect jumper settings as the drives always worked properly as master & slave b4 the reformat. I need to retreive the files on the slave, and would greatly appreciate any help!!

A:Solved: Slave HDD not detected by Bios

If all you need for now is to retreive the files in the Slave HD, buy yourself a set of IDE to USB cable, then just take the drive out and plug it into the USB port with the cable. The computer would recognize it as a regular external USB Drive. Make sure your purchase a cable that comes with a power source to make it easier.
You can purchase those IDE-USB cables for around $12.00

In the meantime, just in case, change the jumper to Cable Select and make sure all the cables are properly attached to the mother board. Some times they come loose if you move the case around.

Let me know if this help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-slave-hdd-not-detected-by-bios.613903/
Relevancy 56.33%

My BIOS and Device Manager are detecting my slave but when I try to access it through "My Computer" it does not show up. I've ran through the troubleshooter and downloaded every update that windows update gave me and it's still not detected.

This is a fresh Windows XP installation. The slave drive was a primary drive on another computer and worked fine.

Relevancy 56.33%

This is one of the more interesting problems I've had. I just received a brand new Samsung 80GB HD. My BIOS detects it as 80GB when it is the master on the Primary IDE and either 30 or 33GB when it is set to slave. I have Windows XP installed on another drive and it won't see the 80GB drive when BIOS is set to boot off the slave drive. I was able to partition the samsung using fdisk with it set to master and it saw all of the 80GB. I switched the drive back to slave and booted XP and got it to see it but only as a 30/33GB drive (because of the BIOS?). I have no idea why it gets detected right as master and not as slave. Can anyone help me?

Relevancy 55.9%

Hi About a week ago I deleted a virus from my computer using windows live one scanner in safe mode with networking Since deleting it when I try to start Windows Primary not IDE detected Master XP in normal or safe mode it freezes I looked at my AMI Bios Setup screen and saw that it is not detecting a primary IDE master I did some research and it appears this is generally due to a hard drive failure or bad chord connection However this seems to Primary IDE Master not detected be a little more complicated than that as BIOS actually recognizes both hard drives I have two hard drives a gb which serves as the main drive with windows xp and an gb which is just extra storage I also have a dvd drive and a dvd rw drive The Bios Setup Main screen shows the following Primary IDE master-- not detected Primary IDE Slave-- gb hard drive Secondary IDE master-- DVD Rom Secondary IDE slave-- DVD RW Third IDE master-- gb hard drive Third IDE slave-- not detected I m wondering if there is some way to get my gb hard drive main drive w operating system as the primary master drive If I do that will it even resolve my issue or is there something else that will help get me functional again Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Primary IDE Master not detected

Hmmmm, what make and model PC is it?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/primary-ide-master-not-detected.888127/
Relevancy 55.9%

I was hoping someone could give me some advice on this
I have a Intel P4 running on a Asus P5P800MX motherboard. A few days ago my computer rebooted itself and crap just started to happen i tried to format my harddrive and reinstall window xp...... now i'm stuck. Windows setup said that it is unable to verify c drive and i can't get out of set up. I checked Bios and it saids this

Primary Ide master- not detected
Primary Ide slave- not detected
Secondary ide master- HL-DT-ST DVDRAMGS
Secondary ide slave- not detected
Third ide master- Maxtor 6V160E0
Third ide slave- not detected

Please help me out i just pick up this thing like a month ago... i would bring it back to the vendor but i just moved and i'm like a 24 hour drive away from them... sucks to be me

A:The Primary IDE Master: Not detected

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Try a different ide cable and see if it helps.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/the-primary-ide-master-not-detected.51568/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi! I need someone's help. I tried to upgrade my hard disk drive but when I opened the computer's case, the new one I bought wouldn't fit so I decided to go against going through with the upgrade. In the process of trying, I removed the IDE of the CD-ROM and the Floppy drive since it blocked the HDD. I replaced them back when I gave up but then when I turned the PC on, the Primary Master can't be detected! The PC was working completely fine before I opened it and I haven't really touched anything else save for the IDE. I've checked if I reconnected everything right(jumpres included) then came to the conclusion that the HDD's IDE must be bust. I bought a new one and tried replacing that but still the problem's the same!!

Primary Master still can't be detected.

Help anyone, please!

Relevancy 55.9%

I posted this somewhere else but im not sure which place to post it so im going to try here so i just posting my posts together so thats why it might seem wierd I don t know a lot about computers but I ve been searching on here about his and just want to see if someone can not IDE Primary master detected figure this out My brother dropped his laptop today at school and after starting it back up it only comes up to a screen which was something about media not found but anyway Primary IDE master not detected a computer guy looked at it for him at his college and got him to the bios screen and it said quot Primary IDE master not dected quot and the guy said that means his hard drive either came loose or broke So after looking on here and then at his computer he said his CD-ROM was in the st spot under the boot section and that the hard drive was second and he changed it so hard drive was first so im not sure but i thought read on here from what i understand the hard drive is soposed to be first and the cd-rom second but i do know as of right now the secondary IDE is dectected and is his CD-ROM So he found his XP cd and its installing that which i dont know if that even has a chance of working but i cant get all the specs for him computer right now but i will as soon as its done if it doesnt work if i can figure out how cause i never use it but i know its a Intel and thats about it Its around a year and a half old i would say got it from wal-mart he was going to open it but it has the void warranty sticker on the back so he didnt want to mess with it which i doubt it has a warranty anymore but he wanted to find out first So if anyone can help or give some steps on what could be done so we can try to figure this out that would be great I was going to go to the bios thing to find out more info but im not sure how to get there my brother does but he left and i guess the XP thing didnt work cause he had shut it down Anyway heres what it said- Intel UNDI PXE- build Copyright - For Realtek RTL X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller V PXE-E Media test failure check cable PXE-M F Exiting PXE-ROM Reboot Stystem and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key nbsp

A:Primary IDE master not detected

Either your data cable or your hard drive is playing up. Check all the plugs to make sure they are in correctly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/primary-ide-master-not-detected.59634/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a dell latitude D500 that keep giving me the drive not detected error every time I start it. I purchased a new harddrive after I believe the older one was corrupted or collapsed.
The laptop had presiously made some scratching sounds coming from the harddrive then one day the computer just went into hang mode,I tried to restart and that is when the harddrive errors started. I went through some forums which largely quoted the problem as a faulty harddrive so I replaced, but the problem persists.

Please help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/primary-drive-not-detected.665577/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi. I restarted my computer a couple of days ago and when it restarted, my internal slave drive stopped being recognized by Windows. My slave drive is a 200gb Seagate, and it had been working fine for nearly 2 years now with no problems so I am not sure why all of a sudden it decided to vanish.

Disk Manager does not see it anymore, and it doesn't show up in My Computer/Explorer. When I go into setup mode though, BIOS detects it as being there. I checked the cables and they seem to be connected fine. I even replaced the cable with a brand new spare set and the problem still remains that BIOS detects the slave drive but it isn't detected by Windows.

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

A:Solved: Slave drive stopped being detected

Do you see it in Device Manager? Check the IDE drivers and be sure that the option to autodetect is set to "DMA If Available", and not "None" (though I don't know how this could have been changed).

Is it set to autodetect in BIOS?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-slave-drive-stopped-being-detected.606173/
Relevancy 55.9%

hi,
When I opened up my PC, I found out that "My Computer" did not list my Slave drive (40g Seagate rubber type with 2 partitions) My computer has been working fine for four years now until today. My Primary drive (40g Maxtor 7200) with 2 partitions also which contains my OS XP SP2 in C: and D: contains my data.

The thing is, when I check my BIOS setup, it detects my Slave drive with its info.

any ideas why it cannot be detected? solutions perhaps? thanks.

Tony

Relevancy 55.47%

Hello, I have a HP Pavillion model #A818N with windows xp preinstalled, and I keep getting a message that the primary master device can't be found. The computer lets me go to F1, Through F12 but I have no idea what I am supposed to do. Please help

A:Primary Master Device not detected

First open the side pannel or remove case cover to access the inside of the pc. Make sure the power and data cables are plugged into the harddrive and motherboard. Thjen boot the pc and hit F1 to enter bios or setup. On the main page you should see a list of drives as well as cpu, ram, and dvd/cd drives. If you don't see a hard drive then this mean the hard drive is failing and needs to be replaced to make the pc work again.

You will want to find a drive like these Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Hard Drives, Internal Hard Drives, SATA 1.5Gb/s
To replace your old drive with, you will need your recovery media to restore the pc back to the day you first turned it on. Recovering your files is doubtfull since the drive is in this stage of failing and if you can then you are lucky. You Might be able to use a sata 3.0 drive but you need to make sure if it can be backwards compadable with the older sata specs, ie sata 3.0 to sata1.5.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/primary-master-device-not-detected-668670.html
Relevancy 55.47%

After building my first self built machine I am running into a problem I haven't been able to figure out...

When doing a cold boot the Primary/Master HD is not detected. If left alone the result is "Boot Failure"

If I go into the BIOS the HD is there and when I close the BIOS the result is a complete boot, no problem.

Also, if I go through a step by step boot the HD is detected...

Anyone know of a possible problem and/or a solution?

Thanks,
Robert

Relevancy 55.04%

I have seen this messge twice. Once on a friends PC and just now on mine. My computer has been running for maybe... 3 days straight now. I turned it off for about 3 hours to keep my room cool. I turned it back on and heard "beep...beep...beep...beep" (the same beep you hear if the ram isn't snapped in the socket all the way) and at the boot up it said "Primary slave hard disk fail" XP would not start. So i hit the reset button, same thing, hit it again, same thing. Powered off and powered back on and it started up fine.

Is this bad. I thought my harddrive crashed. But.. here I am. What's goin' on? Thanks.
Mike

A:"Primary slave hard disk fail"

Check all your connections. Then, back everything up just in case. Use this utility to monitor the SMART (Self-Monitoring And Reporting Technology) status of the drive in case it is about to fail.

http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/primary-slave-hard-disk-fail.314253/
Relevancy 54.61%

My c: drive is not detected and doesn't show up on disk management, but it works fine. How can this be? I want to install Windows 7 but can't because drive c: is not detected.
Thanks for any help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/primary-drive-is-not-detected-but-works-fine.945107/
Relevancy 54.61%

Im running a asus a v deluxe motherboard with sata raid slots regular sata slots and ide slots I have my os installed detected ide not sata raid secondary Primary on my sata raid which is made up of gb raptor hard drives i decided to add a larger ide drive for storage but it isnt recognized in windows I purchased a western digital gb ide drive and connected Primary sata raid secondary ide not detected it to the secondary ide slot on the motherboard since my cd roms are taking up the primary I left the hard drive jumper on the master setting and plugged it into the master spot on the ide cable I kept my raid as primary boot and cd rom as secondary since the hard drive is empty but recieve an error when booting about the hard drive not being detected properly but windows boots fine after bypassing the error When i get into windows the new drive Primary sata raid secondary ide not detected doesnt appear anywhere except in device manager which states its functioning properly Ive tried changing jumper settings to cable select and slave but neither changed anything Is it even possible to run a sata raid as primary and ide as secondary nbsp

A:Primary sata raid secondary ide not detected

you are still going to have to label the partition on the new hdd as active and format it so that window can assign it a drive letter.. go to the my computer icon and right click it then left click manage.. a new window will appear on the left hand side find the option that says disk management then on the right side in the window find the drive that is new and chose to format it will ask you to assign a driver letter or manually assign one.. you should be good after that then reboot and check the bios setting and make sure that your options are set to combination boot for sata and ide so that it doesn't try to boot to the primary partition on an empty hadd with no os then go to the sata to boot..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/primary-sata-raid-secondary-ide-not-detected.44783/
Relevancy 54.61%

I have looked up previous posts about quot Primary IDE Master not detected quot but my problem looks a bit different Since a few days my pc desktop ASUS P P S Pentium w Ghz does not always boot after switching it on Sometimes it boots after several attempts but sometimes I have to go to the BIOS screen and when I leave it it boots Note I don t change any setting just enter the screen leave it and Windows starts After this the pc runs without any problem After standby it starts also correctly In the boot sequence the secondary master and slave are detected but then comes a quot Third master Hard disk error quot which is the C quot drive and quot No IDE Master H D D detected quot The strange thing is that BIOS does detect the C -drive BIOS shows that the primary IDE master and slave are not detected Secondary IDE master is the DVD slave is the always not IDE not does detected, Master system Primary boot HD quot E quot Maxtor GB Third IDE Master is the boot drive quot C quot a Maxtor GB I don t understand why the C -drive is detected by BIOS but not Primary IDE Master not detected, system does not always boot in the Boot-sequence and why the system runs anyway after passing through the BIOS screen The is not understandable reason for the change I did not open the PC or modified anything It drives me mad nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/primary-ide-master-not-detected-system-does-not-always-boot.155289/
Relevancy 54.61%

do to sever problems i was having with my pc i decided to do a fdisk and reformat...... i thought i was doing a smart thing by using my slave drive to backup the things i didnt want to lose .... after backing it all up to the slave drive i erased my harddrive and installed a new operating system... was win98 and now is winxp............ everything is going great now except all them programs and files i backed i can no longer access.... if anyone has a solution to this it would be greatly appreciated...

Relevancy 50.74%

Hi guys I'm new here at Seven Forums,

I am a confirmed host of the Win 7 launch party and yesterday I received my copy of Win 7 Ultimate. I was running on Vista so I did an upgrade to 7. After I was done my DVD drive is no longer in My computer or the Device manager, just like if it's not even plugged in. The tray can be opened but it does not detect the discs I insert. I tried googling and I found a couple of solutions but none worked. Is there any way to fix this, I have also looked in Bios but I didn't know what to check.
Looking forward to your replies.

A:DVD Drive not being detected by Win 7 Ultimate

Quote: Originally Posted by adt

Hi guys I'm new here at Seven Forums,

I am a confirmed host of the Win 7 launch party and yesterday I received my copy of Win 7 Ultimate. I was running on Vista so I did an upgrade to 7. After I was done my DVD drive is no longer in My computer or the Device manager, just like if it's not even plugged in. The tray can be opened but it does not detect the discs I insert. I tried googling and I found a couple of solutions but none worked. Is there any way to fix this, I have also looked in Bios but I didn't know what to check.
Looking forward to your replies.

driver for the dvd drive. internal? what make? what model?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/28305-dvd-drive-not-being-detected-win-7-ultimate.html
Relevancy 50.31%

In a new build ASUS P B Premium Intel E ATI HD XT Samsung quot Monitor and a Sony quot HDTV both connected with DVI-I HDMI and an ATI TV Wonder PCI with VISTA Ultimate with all updates and current driver software loaded The Video card Wonder VISTA detected, TV TV 650, Signal Ultimate No is installed with the current Catalyst and functions properly and well The TV Wonder has the current VISTA WDM Drivers installed Both show in Device manager as funtioning properly and the driver versions show for the HD and for the TV Wonder In Windows Media Center the new TV tuner is detected and the program prompts to set up the signal after going through the automatic detect process it finishes with no TV signal detected If the manual process is used it gives the same result nothing but snow The signal is analog cable NTSC direct with no splitters I also have a Dell Angel USB analog tuner and a Hauppage WinTV USB tuner used for testing and have used Vista Ultimate since No TV Signal detected, TV Wonder 650, VISTA Ultimate February so am very familiar with it Both the other tuners will install and work correctly in Windows Media Center with the appropriate drivers If one No TV Signal detected, TV Wonder 650, VISTA Ultimate is installed along side the TV Wonder the signal setup process detects both tuners but with only one having a signal not the I ve uninstalled and reinstalled several times always without any errors ATI support has so far only referred me to the generic install hardware software and un-install pages Their latest response was to download the latest VISTA WDM driver for the and it will work This had already been and they were informed of that in my submitted ticket I m not trying to use this card as a hybrid Dual tuner watch one and record the other or switch between HD analog just simply for the analog cable signal Does anyone have any knowledge of a fix or setup for this nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-tv-signal-detected-tv-wonder-650-vista-ultimate.644748/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hey guys,

I'll be getting a copy of Windows 8 very shortly, (After becoming Accredited for Windows 8. Cheers, Microsoft), and I'd like to have a system partition.
I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit installed on my system at the moment, but my hard drive is not yet partitioned. My plan is to have a system partition so that when I use the "Custom Install" option when installing Win8, I can wipe Win7 out of it and do a clean install of Win8.
I want to make sure I get this right with nothing exploding, so I figured this would be the place to ask.

I checked in "Disk Management" and was going to follow a tutorial I found within the depths of SevenForums, but the tutorial says to partition "Unallocated" space, whereas I have "Primary Partition" for my entire hard disk space.

Any solutions for me?

A:Partitioning a "Primary Partition" Win7 Ultimate 64bit

Do you want to get completely rid of Windows 7?

I assume you do.

In that case, you would boot from the Windows 8 disk and delete all partitions during the Windows 8 installation process. That will get rid of Windows 7.

You will end up with a small System Reserved partition and a large primary C partition, containing Windows 8.

You don't need to worry about unallocated space, primary partitions, etc. Just delete all existing partitions.

If you want to have BOTH Win 7 and Win 8 on the same PC, that's another story.

After Win 8 is installed, you can then go back and make another partition for data or some other purpose if you like.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/260550-partitioning-primary-partition-win7-ultimate-64bit.html
Relevancy 49.45%

It worked extremely well in Windows XP Home. I emailed Canon and they said that right now there is no support for 64 bit Vista with the camera. However, I have 4 GB of RAM and 2GB of Turbo Memory and I wouldn't want it to go to waste.

Is there any way I can email Microsoft (without having to pay $35 dollars) to suggest support for these products or if I were to install Vista Ultimate 32bit, would I lose my ability to use 4GB of RAM and the 2GB of Turbo Memory?

How about if I dual boot it, would there be any complications? Can I use the same CD KEY as neither OS would be on at the same time?

A:Canon HDV XH G1 being detected but not capturing on Vista 64 Ultimate

As you have x64 ultimate, you could try running XP (or maybe vista32) under VirtualPC and do the capture there. No need to dual boot.

Then edit under x64 to take advantage of memory.

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/182356-canon-hdv-xh-g1-being-detected-but-not-capturing-vista-64-ultimate.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Hello there This is my first post and unfortunately its a request for help I started off with virtumonde problem and followed the initial instructions I found here to remove what I could I am at the least Ultimate "integrity Threats And Detected" Fixer left Ultimate Fixer And "integrity Threats Detected" with what I think may be an ultimate fixer issue I have quot Integrity threats detected quot balloon that pops up in the notification area of the taskbar I wonder if you can help Thanks in advanceI have included the hijack this logLogfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files Windows Defender MsMpEng exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccProxy exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared PIF B E DD - - c -B F- F FCA A PIFSvc exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SNDSrvc exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SPBBC SPBBCSvc exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exeC Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC Program Files Juniper Networks Common Files dsNcService exeC WINDOWS System inetsrv inetinfo exeC Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS Debug mdm exeC Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exeC Program Files Neoteris Installer Service NeoterisSetupService exeC PROGRA Dantz RETROS retrorun exeC Program Files ROVA Update rovasrvc exeC WINDOWS System tcpsvcs exeC WINDOWS System snmp exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Program Files Adaptec Easy CD Creator DirectCD DirectCD exeC PROGRA Maxtor OneTouch Utils OneTouch exeC WINDOWS MXOALDR EXEC Program Files QuickTime qttask exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exeC Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC Program Files btbb wcm McciTrayApp exeC PROGRA YAHOO browser ybrwicon exeC Program Files BT Broadband Desktop Help bin BTHelpNotifier exeC WINDOWS system rundll exeC PROGRA YAHOO browser ycommon exeC Program Files SecCenter scprot exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exeC Program Files Microsoft ActiveSync wcescomm exeC PROGRA MI AA rapimgr exeC PROGRA YAHOO MESSEN ymsgr tray exeC PROGRA COMMON SYMANT SECURI NSCSRVCE EXEC Program Files Common Files Teleca Shared Generic exeC Program Files Sony Ericsson Mobile Mobile Phone Monitor epmworker exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system rdpclip exeC WINDOWS system logonui exeC WINDOWS system logon scrC Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http uk red clientapps yahoo com customi fo bt side htmlR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http uk red clientapps yahoo com customi arch yahoo com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page about blankR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http uk red clientapps yahoo com customi arch yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http uk red clientapps yahoo com customi fo bt side htmlR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http uk red clientapps yahoo com customi arch yahoo com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL Default http uk red clientapps yahoo com customi arch yahoo com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Se... Read more

A:Ultimate Fixer And "integrity Threats Detected"

Hi Bins,

Sorry for the delay, this forum is very busy right now.

If you still require help, please run a fresh HijackThis scan and post the log to a reply here. I am subscribed to this topic now and will reply within 24 hours.

Dave

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/107784/ultimate-fixer-and-integrity-threats-detected/
Relevancy 49.02%

The wired controller is brand new, works perfectly on my Xbox360, but does not show up on my computer. I have installed Xbox360_32Eng.exe but unable to install Microsoft Common Controller 32bit.exe due to error "not enough storage space is available to process this command" which up till now is still unresolved. If the controller is plugged in during boot, POST displays an error message along the lines of "over current detected, shutdown in 15 seconds" . Have also tried a USB to PS/2 adapter but that doesn't work.

This thing has a 3-day return policy, so I'm obviously desperate for help.

Current machine specifications are:
Asus M2N68-VM mainboard
nForce 630a chipset
AMD Phenom X3 8450 cpu
ATi Radeon 4850 gfx

A:Xbox360 wired controller not detected by Vista Ultimate x86.

Hi guys,

Getting a little anxious here. Any input would be appreciated; it's worth a try. Sitting here reloading this page over and over again isn't very productive in comparism.

Regards,
Nicholas.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xbox360-wired-controller-not-detected-by-vista-ultimate-x86.848504/
Relevancy 46.87%

I just installed Windows Xp on a brand new HDD. The previous hard drive had Windows 2000, and since I didn't want to lose any files I installed that drive as the slave. But when I boot the machine up. And select the slave drive, none of the files, such as pictures, word docs, etc. are there. The folders are blank. What am I doing wrong? The jumper pin setting is correct because the picture is right on the label for the drive. Can anybody help?

Thanks.

Katy

Relevancy 46.87%

I have a desktop running Windows 7, with a second hard drive that I want to use to backup my laptops. The laptops are able to access the network, the internet, and the printers attached to the network. However, when I try to backup to the "backup" the laptop drive, I am asked for a login and password. The default setting is no password required for file and printer sharing. My laptop is running Vista Ultimate. I have NOT set up a login and password for the desktop. How do I access the files on the desktop from the laptop, so I can backup the laptop?

A:networking Windows 7 Ultimate and Vista Ultimate cannot access shared folder

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-windows-7-ultimate-and-vista-ultimate-cannot-access-shared-folder.917777/
Relevancy 46.44%

Will I be able to do this while keeping all my programs and settings? As I have put A lot of time into configuring my pc to how I want it.

Thanks

Aman

A:Upgrade from windows 7 Ultimate RC to windows 7 Ultimate Official Release

Please see --> http://www.techsupportforum.com/f104...-a-458313.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/upgrade-from-windows-7-ultimate-rc-to-windows-7-ultimate-official-release-467504.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I would like to copy the existing OS & Apps from the Master Hard Drive, then exchange the drive. Are there Freeware out there I can use Or can I use DOS command to diskcopy c: d:

Relevancy 46.01%

So my motherboard fried and i had to get a new one and when my board failed it crashed my hard drive. After I installed my new mobo, it was bsod looping on startup and wouldn't repair so I tried reinstalling 7 as it was my current os and it wouldnt work as it is an upgrade cd. I tried installing vista which came with my pc and it gets stuck at 0%. I then put xp on and upgraded to vista from xp. Now i have a working vista ultimate 32 bit os but it wont upgrade to 7 and yes it is compatible as I had it before my hard drive crash. It goes up to copying files at 35% and freezes for a while until I get an error code: 0x80070017 Please help!!! Thanks!

P.S. I bought my windows 7 cd not downloaded it.

A:Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit upgrade from vista ultimate gets stuck on 35%

Bump :( I really need help plz!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-ultimate-32-bit-upgrade-from-vista-ultimate-gets-stuck-on-35-a-492715.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Can I upgrade from Windows ultimate 32bit ver 6.1 ( build 7600) to windows 7 ultimate 64bit edition and keep all of my installed programs and files ?

[meaning not having them moved to a new folder called windows.old]

A:Upgrading from Windows ultimate 32bit to Ultimate 64bit

No, you will need to do a clean install.
Windows 7 Upgrade Paths - FAQ

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/101814-upgrading-windows-ultimate-32bit-ultimate-64bit.html
Relevancy 46.01%

So I have this OEM disk of windows vista that I bought when it came out. I want to format a computer and install windows 7 64bit ultimate on it. How do I go about using my vista liscence key for that? Is it possible to do a key transfer or something? Microsoft's website is all about windows 8 and I cant find any information

thanks!

A:Vista 32 bit ultimate liscence key to windows 7 64bit ultimate

Quote: Originally Posted by astanar

I want to format a computer and install windows 7 64bit ultimate on it. How do I go about using my vista liscence key for that? Is it possible to do a key transfer or something?

You can't, you will need to buy a Windows 7 licence.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/376268-vista-32-bit-ultimate-liscence-key-windows-7-64bit-ultimate.html
Relevancy 45.58%

without a complete reinstall Quote from Fred Langa quot Moving The Operating System To "Old" Drive Replacing Slave Primary The "Old" w/new Drive/Making The New Drive There are several ways to move the operating system to a new drive But because I m a fan of drive imaging my preferred method for setting up the operating system on a new drive is this Still running the operating system on the old drive I enter the Device Manager and uninstall the current entries under quot Disk Drives quot This in effect makes Windows Replacing "Old" Primary w/new Drive/Making "Old" Drive The Slave quot forget quot what drives it s currently using I Replacing "Old" Primary w/new Drive/Making "Old" Drive The Slave then reboot to my disk imaging tool and create an image of the quot no disks configured quot version of Windows residing on the old drive I then restore this image onto what will become the C partition on the new drive This whole process is measured in minutes not hours and gets a complete clone of the old Windows set up onto the new drive with all the software and user files intact and ready to pick up from where they left off quot Quoted from Fred Langa http www informationweek com LP showArticle jhtml articleID amp pgno amp queryText He glosses over this part of the instructions expecting all his readers to understand this critical piece I believe that just this one paragraph would qualify as a complete article Anyone care to point me to an article that explains these steps I m using Norton Partition Magic and Acronis True Image And maybe I m not posting this in the right forum nbsp

A:Replacing "Old" Primary w/new Drive/Making "Old" Drive The Slave

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/replacing-old-primary-w-new-drive-making-old-drive-the-slave.503642/
Relevancy 45.58%

Okay so I know this may be one of those pain in the butt tasks but If it can be done it will help out a lot.
I currently have Vista 64-bit installed on my computer. I have been using the computer at work because we needed one in a pinch and now its the work computer. This is changing, but very important info and files are on this drive and it will be so much easier to be able to just put the hard drive in a the new computer and run it as the primary. Problem is, obviously, different parts. We could just install it as a slave but then you have Vista on it for no reason, taking up valuable and needed space.
Is there a way to do this? maybe by installing the drivers for the new computer before the switch? I don't know...any help would be appreciated.

A:Moving your primary hard drive to a new computer to be used as a primary there too???

Originally Posted by Squa190

Okay so I know this may be one of those pain in the butt tasks but If it can be done it will help out a lot.
I currently have Vista 64-bit installed on my computer. I have been using the computer at work because we needed one in a pinch and now its the work computer. This is changing, but very important info and files are on this drive and it will be so much easier to be able to just put the hard drive in a the new computer and run it as the primary. Problem is, obviously, different parts. We could just install it as a slave but then you have Vista on it for no reason, taking up valuable and needed space.
Is there a way to do this? maybe by installing the drivers for the new computer before the switch? I don't know...any help would be appreciated.

well....if you have a different motherboard, your HDD wont be able to run the OS installed on it as primary...

just install it as a slave drive, im sure you can run a ''repair install'' on the drive & use it in a ''dual boot'' config.

if thats not possible, install it as a slave drive & simply delete the OS files leaving only your data on the disc..

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/259498-moving-your-primary-hard-drive-new-computer-used-primary-there-too.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I should have came to this conclusion sooner but my current re-installation of Windows has some problems that I haven t had the time to address until now What I need though is access to the repair function on the disk However herein lies my problem When I boot up media in the drive or no media bios does not show the drive in its list I can still open and close the drive as if nothing is wrong there but I cannot quot boot - not bios, detected by by drive Windows? CD/DVDROM detected from CD quot I ve reset my bios back to defaults and while the drive appeared on IDE Channel in the settings it still would not recognize ANY media while booting up I have the latest version of my bios I have also tried changing cables The drive is on an IDE channel by itself Once my system boots into Windows however the drive is recognized and acts normally as if nothing happened in bios Media CD/DVDROM drive - not detected by bios, detected by Windows? operates fine I have checked the event viewer and CD/DVDROM drive - not detected by bios, detected by Windows? there are no entries anywhere that states my optical drive has been experiencing problems and yes in fact it operates just like it always does Can anyone help me get my bios and cdrom back together again The problem is I just do not know where to start to solve this I wish I could say how long this has been happening but I really don t know as of today There have been no hardware changes in the past three months and my current installation and configuration began back in late April Thanks for your time nbsp

A:CD/DVDROM drive - not detected by bios, detected by Windows?

What is the boot sequence in the bios? should be CD or optical drive first, then Hard Drive or IDE-0 second if you want to boot from the cd-drive. Many computer manufacturers set the computer to automatically boot off of the hard drive by default so setting the factory defaults might not be what you are looking for. Look for the screen that has the boot order or sequence and just change it, exit and save settings and restart the computer with the boot cd in the drive. I hope that helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cd-dvdrom-drive-not-detected-by-bios-detected-by-windows.52086/
Relevancy 43.43%

I am building a system and put windows 7 ultimate retail on it, but have not activated it yet. The computer is running perfect and i have already installed all drivers, software, etc...

Can i somehow use the Ultimate OEM instead of retail without a clean install?

Probably not needed to know but both are x64.

A:Windows 7 Ultimate retail to Ultimate OEM

You have an OEM ( system builder ) product key as well as a Retail product key?

Should be fine to just enter the system builder key.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/69064-windows-7-ultimate-retail-ultimate-oem.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi all,
I cannot use my keyboard when the PC post checks and stuff, for example when it says press del to enter setup.

However I can use the keyboard once in windows.

I am using Asus P5W64 WS Professional motherboard

Sorry:
The keyboard is a USB Microsoft one (Its like a USB and mouse through one USB)

Thanks everyone and merry xmas

Relevancy 42.14%

Can someone please help I m a new geekie and just getting into Windows Xp I recently built a new system with a Dragon Soyo Ultra KT board and AMD My master hdd is a wd and I took a wd hdd from a system running Windows Xp as well Both hdd show up in the bios but the does not show up in the os Upon looking further into the bios I found the the wd showed the following details but in not windows bios slave pro hdd in xp mb capacity cylinder head landing zone and sectory The wd showed mb capacity cylinder head landing zone and sector It seems as if the is not being recognized at full compacity The is partitioned into already and I would like not to lose any of the data on partion and if possible The jumpers are set correctly I ve checked them over and over again I ve even tried to go cable select and that just seem to make the boot longer During my search for answers I did find this article at the soyo website see below but I guess I m looking for a more step by step process so that I don t slave hdd in bios but not in windows xp pro screw up the data I also tried calling soyo but their live voice tech support guy acted like I was bothering him and sounded like he was reading off of a script that I just found from the website slave hdd in bios but not in windows xp pro Please help lost for ideas Thanks a head of time DeeMarie In case of a added hard drive to a system which was taken off from an other computer and it can not be seen under windows this normally happens to customers using windows SE and or ME please make sure that the transferred hard drive has a VALID quot FAT quot partition on it if this hard drive belong to a system that had windows NT and or XP on it installed there is a very good chance that the partition on the transferred hard drive is NTFS which can not be detected under windows SE or ME in this case customer need to remove the existing partition on the drive and create a quot FAT quot partition on the hard drive Same situation can happen to users using windows or NT since the existing system runs with quot NTFS quot partition operating system will not be able to recognize a hard drive with quot FAT quot partition in this case customer needs to remove the quot FAT quot partition and create a quot NTFS quot partition on the drive for windows NT or can recognize this hard drive nbsp

Relevancy 42.14%

I want to install Windows xp on a slave drive, because there is no room on my primary. But every time I try to install it starts installing on the primary drive. How do I get it on the slave

Relevancy 42.14%

hello ive been trying to fix my freinds computer - when it starts up nothing happens except there is this COMPAQ INTEL INSIDE logo wich usually shows up before windows begins to start but it nothing ever happens It just stays there I tried pressing buttons i put in the XP cd i put in some recovery cds but it is completely unresponsive I cant even shut it off without unplugging it My freind says he got some sort of virus so i figured formatting the hdd would do it But i couldnt because the computer is completely unresponsive So i took out the hardrive and put on slave hdd installing windows it in my computer I then formatted the partition theres two that was full of junk and tried to formatt the other one wich i full of windows but it wont let me Now when i put the hdd installing windows on slave hdd back in my freinds computer nothing at all happens nothing comes on the screen So i figured maybe if i reinstalled windows onto the hdd installing windows on slave hdd from my computer that would do the trick but i dont know how to do that i dont want to reinstall windows on my hdd Anyways my question to you is how can i install xp onto my freinds hdd without touching my hdd and in a way so that i can stick it back in my freinds computer and make it work Also is there a better easier way of fixing this problem than what i just said Is what i just said even possible I would really appreciate any help thanks in advance freinds computers specs -intel celeron ghz - mb ram -xp -cdrw - gb hardrive with to partitions currently in my computer nbsp

Relevancy 41.71%

Hi guys

I just got a final version (The one that arrives on october 22nd) dvd with Windows 7 Ultimate, with both 32bit and 64bit..

But my problem is that everytime i choose 64bit installation in the installation menu, and then choose upgrade, it compatibility checks my pc, and then it says that i cannot install, because its not the same architecture, even tho my pc is able to upgrade to the specified version!

Well, i should be able to upgrade from vista ultimate x64 to 7 ultimate x64, without doing a clean install?

If anyone knows how to solve this, please reply

Oh yeah, my OS i windows ultimate 64bit...

Thanks
Jake

A:Cannot upgrade windows vista ultimate 64bit to windows 7 ultimate 64bit!!!

Run setup while in Windows and you can.

If you run Setup from within Windows:

You can upgrade Windows Vista or Windows 7 Build 7077 or later.
You cannot run x64 Setup on a system running an x86 build of Windows, or vice-versa.
You cannot upgrade Windows XP or any pre-7077 build of Windows 7 (unless you use the workaround I describe later in this post).
You can install Windows 7 on the same volume as an existing Windows version. (I describe the best way to accomplish this in #4.)
You cannot make any changes to the layout of a disk; you must use existing partitions, and Setup will not recognize unallocated space.
If you boot from the Windows 7 DVD:

You cannot upgrade an existing Windows version. Your only option is a custom install.
You can delete existing partitions, create new partitions, extend an existing disk partition to unallocated space, or designate a block of unallocated space as the setup location.
You can install Windows 7 on the same volume as an existing Windows version.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=922&page=2

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-upgrade-windows-vista-ultimate-64bit-to-windows-7-ultimate-64bit.865702/
Relevancy 41.71%

I have two hard drives one 40gb(IDE) and a 2tb(SATA).
I have my 32bit OS installed on the 40gig and all my data on my 2tb. Now I recently got more ram and now need to install 64bit.

My question is can I install the 64 bit on my 2tb and have a dual boot.

I'm installing Windows using a setup that I Downloaded that has a few tweeks added in so no disc to install from just a setup file.

A:Can I install Windows on my slave drive?

May I ask what has been added to Win7 you are using? Do you have a link so we can see?

How is this modded Win7 being activated?

Win7 is installed correctly from booted media. I would unplug the other HD during install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/212805-can-i-install-windows-my-slave-drive.html
Relevancy 41.71%

I have recently installed Windows 2000 on a new hard drive that I got. Finally, I have installed all my programs and the computer is working great. Recently, My friends computer crashed being unable to boot in to Windows, and needing to be re-formatted. I want to place his hard drive in my machine as a slave, and copy some files for him onto my drive, or else his files will all be lost. Windows 2k does not recognize the slave drive on start up, and I do not receive a drive letter for it. I set my friends drive to slave properly, and am sure that the connections are secure. Do you have any ideas, of how to get Win 2k to recognize the slave drive, Thanks,