Windows Support Forum

"Open in New Window' Command Does Not Work in Internet Explorer"

Q: "Open in New Window' Command Does Not Work in Internet Explorer"

"Open in New Window' Command Does Not Work in Internet Explorer"

? When you right-click a Web address on a Web page, and then click
Open in New Window, the Web page may not open in a new window.

Reason:
? Some Internet Explorer registry information is missing or damaged.

To resolve this issue:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regsvr32 actxprxy.dll.
3. Click OK, and then click OK again when you receive the following
4. Click Start, and then click Run.
5. In the Open box, type regsvr32 shdocvw.dll.
6. Click OK, and then click OK again when you receive the following
DllRegisterServer in shdocvw.dll succeeded.
7. Restart your computer.

This will take care of the problem,

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/open-in-new-window-command-does-not-work-in-internet-explorer-82300.html
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: "Open in New Window' Command Does Not Work in Internet Explorer"

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 93%

I have searched to see if this was asked before without any success. Maybe someone has run into this problem before.
When I open "my computer" or "control panel" after I close it...it automatically goes into Internet Explorer as a blank page. Most of the time, when I close the IE blank page...it stops responding and I have the control-alt-delete to "end the program"
Thanks in advance for any help.

A:closing "my computer" or "Control Panel" open internet explorer window

Possibly malware - anything openning ie on its own raises an alarm in my books. Post a HJT log to the malware removal section of the forum and let the experts take a look at it

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/closing-my-computer-or-control-panel-open-internet-explorer-window.658783/
Relevancy 92.38%

I have Internet Explorer v on my computer and for the past couple of days it refuses to quot Open in New Window quot every time I right click on a link and choose the command I notice this happens even if I click a link in an email I use Outlook Express v My search in Google took me to the Microsoft site and as usual their elaborate solution which I tried out didn t work according to MS this problem does not occur in IE version or later Next I found a solution in this forum which worked albeit only for a while That solution involved running the following commands from Start Run regsvr Urlmon dll regsvr Shdocvw dll regsvr Shell dll regsvr Oleaut dll regsvr Actxprxy dll regsvr Mshtml dll Another solution I found asked to check broken file work New doesn't "Open command in Window" associations which I did Everything seems ok but the new window still doesn t open Somebody please help nbsp

A:"Open in New Window" command doesn't work

Sounds like a malware hijacking. That seems to cause a lot of eratic action in IE some times. Try running HiJackThis and see what is controling IE. Run SpyBot S&D and Ad-Aware to get rid of Malware. Also run a good virus scan. If you are using Norton AV try using Avast, it seems to catch a few more than NortonsAV in my experience. You will need to make sure that all of Nortons/Symantec Antivirus is removed before you run Avast.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/open-in-new-window-command-doesnt-work.354637/
Relevancy 80.91%

I have used the quot cmd exe s k pushd quot V quot quot here" Box command "Open window No elevated REG DOS Command in type of Registry mod to obtain a context menu quot Open elevated command window here quot menu item such No REG Command in "Open elevated command window here" DOS Box as in the quot Open elevated command window here quot thread Open elevated command window here However the admin cmd window even though it says quot Administrator quot in the title bar will not seem to work with the REG command e g quot REG SAVE quot etc If I even just type quot reg quot on the cmd line it just jumps to the next new cmd line prompt without any apparent action And DISKPART will work here even though REG doesn't The REG command works fine when I open a pinned cmd exe link with Admin privileges So Has anyone else noticed this And if I'm not the only user in the universe to have this quot feature quot does anyone know of a workaround Thanks

A:No REG Command in "Open elevated command window here" DOS Box

Hello Fred, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Is this the tutorial you used below to add "Open elevated command window here"? Open Command Window Here as Administrator
The REG /? command works for me using this when I right clicked on C:\Users and Open elevated command window here.
Do you have your UAC notification settings set to at least the default or top level? Normally when you use "Open elevated command window here", you will get a UAC prompt to approve before the elevated CMD window opens. If you do not get a UAC prompt, then this may be why you are having this issue.

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/229877-no-reg-command-open-elevated-command-window-here-dos-box.html
Relevancy 80.6%

When I clicked on "open command window here" on shift-right click menu. It shows me an error message as the attachment. Before it works fine until last month. Does Windows last update update caused that problem or I did something wrong?

A:Problems about windows 7 "open command window here" shift-right click

Can you open a command prompt by using run? Windows Key + R - type cmd

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/205908-problems-about-windows-7-open-command-window-here-shift-right-click.html
Relevancy 80.6%

I want to use the command line to open the "Custom sizing options" window in Windows 10, please view the image, thank you.

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/62252-how-open-custom-sizing-options-window-using-command-line.html
Relevancy 110.08%

So I started my computer, about 5 minutes later, a command window opened, then closed by itself.

I didn't do anything at the time, it just came out of no where, I was wondering if anyone knows what can cause this?

Just in case, I scanned for Rootkits using F-secure Blacklight(nothing detected), currently running every other scanning program I have but anyone know what can cause the command window to open then close out of no where?

A:What could cause command window to open then close "out of no where"?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-could-cause-command-window-to-open-then-close-out-of-no-where.711982/
Relevancy 104.92%

I right click an open window and "close - -" appears, as in "XP." However, tapping the "C" key doesn't work. Using other keys does work; eg, "D" for delete and "Y" for yes. Why no response when using "C" for close? This is a bad change from "XP."

I have noted that a letter in the right click menu is not underlined in "7" as in "XP." However, using the "XP" keys still works, except for 'close.'

{redoak}

Relevancy 104.06%

I use Windows Explorer numerous times every day I like to navigate to folders using the folders pane and click on items in main view I sometimes drill down to folders in the main view to finish my navigation until I'm at the folder I wish to see All of the sudden I'm finding that when I click on a folder in the main view a new Explorer window pops up I did not change any of my preferences in this regard I went into the Tools-- gt Folder Options and saw that quot Open each folder in the same window quot was still selected as I'd left it long ago a couple of years now So I switched the radio button to the quot Open new folder quot option then switched it back to opening the folders in the same view I clicked quot Apply quot and folder "Open Explorer in longer each no window" same working Windows closed Explorer I did this as a kind of quot forced quot reset Then I opened Explorer again and it's still not obeying this setting What's going on Is this influenced by some other settings location I haven't looked at yet AFAIK this started not long after I had uninstalled IE and IE rolling back to IE then installed IE again I did this to resolve a peculiar issue with certain files marked as corrupt in SFC scannow turns out it's a defect when going to IE from IE I do realize that Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer share a lot of the same files But this is functionality exclusive to Windows Explorer Really strange

A:Windows Explorer "Open each folder in same window" no longer working

Hello Gary,

You might see if downloading and merging the .reg for the listed Folder and Directory options in the tutorial below may be able to help. It will restore the default associations and registry entries for folders and drives, and hopefully fix this for you.

Default File Type Associations - Restore

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/297484-windows-explorer-open-each-folder-same-window-no-longer-working.html
Relevancy 104.06%

I have searched and do everything on fixing the registry, but still I can't open the CMD by right click in a folder and choose "open command window here."
The windows says: "THis file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install or if one is installed already..."
Please help me.
THanks

A:Can't open cmd through "open command window here"

Hello opticaldh, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You might see if using step 1 in the tutorial below may be able to help fix this by restoring it's default registry entries.Open Command Window Here - Add or Remove
If not, then download and merge the .reg file for the listed .exe option may be able to. It will restore the default associations for .exe files.Default File Type Associations - Restore
Afterwards, if you like, the tutorial can have you be able to use "Open command window here" without having to press Shift first.Open Command Window Here - Add or Remove Shift + Right Click
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/282732-cant-open-cmd-through-open-command-window-here.html
Relevancy 103.63%

Greetings all. How do I add the keyboard shortcut command "ctrl+F" to the Internet Explorer context menu? I know where I need to go in the registry to add an item to the context menu of Internet Explorer, but I don't know how to add a keyboard shortcut.

A:Adding "ctrl+F" command to Internet Explorer context menu

I am not sure I understand. Ctrl+F activates the "Find on this page" search box in Internet Explorer (IE) and funcions when you are working in the IE window, there is no setting up required for this.

A right click on the IE icon for a "Find on this page" in the context menu will not be very useful since IE does not yet know what page you intend to look at. If you just want a search function for IE pages you can use the search box on the taskbar.

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/40874-adding-ctrl-f-command-internet-explorer-context-menu.html
Relevancy 103.63%

This problem just started a couple days ago, with no changes to any of my PCs settings or new downloads in a couple weeks.

When I have a Windows Explorer window open in the background, hitting the "t" key in Firefox (and IE for that matter) switches to the Explorer window automatically. I can get around it by shift+t, giving me a capital T and keeping me in my browser window. Alternatively, I can turn caps lock and shift+T to get a lowercase t and remain in the browser.

While in a Windows Explorer window, if I try to rename a file using the letter t, nothing will happen when I hit the key unless I use one of the workarounds above.

Any idea on what could be causing this and/or how to resolve the problem?

Thanks,
Chad

Relevancy 101.05%

The option "Open with explorer" from SharePoint 2013 Foundation document library doesnt work in IE11.
Checked on IE11 32 bit and solutions like like enable/restart WebClient Service, Add to Trusted Sites, Set Internet Explorer to Automatic Logon, enable activex controls, enable protected mode, site compatibility etc, still it is not working.
Please help.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6b9a4b70-d7d8-416d-95e4-d7fca28de43a/ie-11-quotopen-with-explorerquot-doesnt-work-in-ie11?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 100.19%

When I press "open file" in the program "Business Intelligence" of an Office
program like Excel, I would like the window columns to be in "detail" view
instead of "list" view.
How can I do this?
Is this a registry default that can be changed?
Thanks,
Josh

Relevancy 100.19%

Ok, what in the world is going on with this? First off, I'm at THIS webpage because I had two IE windows open already. Not too long ago I attempted to open up a third, and I can't do it.

Every time I try to do so I get the error message that I put in this threads title. What can I do to resolve this?

A:"Internet Explorer could not open the search page." (I can't open any new IE windows!

I just found out another detail for you.

In the IE windows that are already open, when I click on a link that opens a new window on it's on...it works.

The only problem is when I try to manually open a new one myself. So, right now, I'm rather afraid to close all of the IE windows currently open and to restart my computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internet-explorer-could-not-open-the-search-page-i-cant-open-any-new-ie-windows.186623/
Relevancy 99.33%

I am running Windows XP Home SP with the latest updates on a Pentium GHz Dell Recently IE and Eudora quit working No new programs had been installed IE will not load Open and (Windows Will Explorer), "My Eudora Not Explorer, Internet Computer" any pages it just freezes Eudora reports an quot unhandled exception quot and exits quot My Computer quot generally will not open but occasionally after searching several minutes it will function perfectly with every disk link opening instantly I can bypass the quot My Computer quot button with the quot Run quot "My Computer" (Windows Explorer), Internet Explorer, and Eudora Will Not Open command to instantly open any drive Using this method the Control Panel may still open slowly Using Task Manager no process generally appears to be using a lot of CPU resources Also quot My Computer quot and Eudora function perfectly in Safe Mode I did run the Panda online scanner After hours it reported potential quot viruses or spyware quot but did not give an option to fix any I neglected to save the log file at that time--sorry Since then I have downloaded and run the following antivirus spyware detection programs without finding any problems other than tracking cookies removed all cookies SpyBot Search amp Destroy AVG Free full scan BitDefender Antivirus full scan the latest Windows malware removal tool sfc scannow did not run with XP CD in drive and Windows Defender I have also uninstalled IE restarted and then tried opening Eudora with no improvement After that I uninstalled Eudora installed IE and restarted IE and quot My Computer quot would still not open The "My Computer" (Windows Explorer), Internet Explorer, and Eudora Will Not Open latest version of Eudora was also installed without success--I get the same error I have also run HijackThis and Googled every line without finding any obviously bad "My Computer" (Windows Explorer), Internet Explorer, and Eudora Will Not Open processes In addition I have also tried disabling DCOM and WIA services without improvement They have since been reenabled Most recently I upgraded from SP to SP in Safe Mode with no improvement Except for the programs mentioned all other programs including Netscape and Firefox work like normal What should I try next Here is the latest HijackThis log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Windows Defender MsMpEng exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C WINDOWS system cisvc exe C Program Files Microsoft SQL Server MSSQL MICROSOFTSMLBIZ Binn sqlservr exe C Program Files OpenCASE OpenCASE Media Agent MediaAgent exe C Program Files Dell Support Center bin sprtsvc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Softwin BitDefender Communicator xcommsvr exe C Program Files Common Files Softwin BitDefender Update Service livesrv exe C Program Files Canon CAL CALMAIN exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgrsx exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgemc exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C Program Files MUSICMATCH MUSICMATCH Jukebox mm tray exe C Program Files Roxio Easy CD Creator DirectCD DirectCD exe C Program Files Visioneer OneTouch OneTouchMon exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files OpenCASE OpenCASE Media Agent PandoBinaries NBCPandoREST exe C Program Files Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition Apps apdproxy exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files Dell Support Center bin sprtcmd exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgtray exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files Softwin BitDefender bdagent exe C Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exe C PROGRAM FILES MIC... Read more

A:"My Computer" (Windows Explorer), Internet Explorer, and Eudora Will Not Open

BUMP please . . .

By the way, I had also tried System Restore several times early on--without success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/my-computer-windows-explorer-internet-explorer-and-eudora-will-not-open-303553.html
Relevancy 98.04%

Hi TechGuy I m having some recent problems on my laptop When I log-in and start using it the Solved: process running, "Generic.dx" open, "Explorer.exe" keeps IE intermittently Windows performance starts slowing down When I look at the Task Manager I notice that the task called Explorer exe takes up a lot of my CPU In a couple of minutes I also start getting Internet Explorer windows to pop-up on my screen I normally use Firefox with advertisements suggesting that my computer is infected and some software downloads that could help I recently installed McAfee Total Works or whatever they call their -in- software which is supposed to do it all I ran several scans and on some of them if did Solved: "Explorer.exe" process keeps running, IE Windows intermittently open, "Generic.dx" find and disable the Generic dx trojan Even though it claims it is doing something I don t notice any changes - Explorer exe continues to bog me down and the IE windows keep popping up to the point that I cannot use my computer effectively anymore IBM T- laptop about three and a half years old Microsoft XP-Professional Any pointers would be truly appreciated Thanks Sandjosh nbsp

A:Solved: "Explorer.exe" process keeps running, IE Windows intermittently open, "Generic.dx"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-explorer-exe-process-keeps-running-ie-windows-intermittently-open-generic-dx.602607/
Relevancy 97.61%

If I open "My Computer" and then I double click on the C: drive icon (or any drive), it opens up a new window with the Search panel on the left. If I right click on a drive, the menu comes up and "Search" is the in bold, indicating it is the default. How can I change this so it is no longer the default, but opening it up with "Open" as the default?

A:Explorer Window defaults to "Search" instead of "Folders"

Start> Run> type: regsvr32 /i shell32.dll then hit OK.
If that doesn't work, try this script repair from Doug Knox.
folder_open.vbs

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/explorer-window-defaults-to-search-instead-of-folders.604751/
Relevancy 97.61%

I get this messgae when I go to one of my boards I go to . How can I remove it ? Cant get on my board .

I have windows xp, IE6 , dsl . THANKS Roz

A:"Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site - Operation aborted" in IE.

Why don't you update your IE to the latest version (IE8) here:
http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/internet-explorer/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/internet-explorer-cannot-open-the-internet-site-operation-aborted-in-ie-368393.html
Relevancy 97.18%

Hello

I am desperately seeking the help of anyone who can help me. While using my computer last week (it's been off for a week now as I was on vacation) almost all the icons on my desktop turned into internet explorer links, and all the programs on my computer (including my Norton Antivirus) will not open as they all are being "opened" with internet explorer. Whenever a program is opened the message that internet explorer is no longer working pops up. This includes Microsoft Word, iTunes, some parts of my control panel etc. My computer's operating system is Vista.
I am assuming this is a virus, but I have no idea what to do about it. Can anyone out there help me?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/all-programs-open-in-internet-explorer-what-virus-is-this-vista-user.805087/
Relevancy 96.75%

I've recently installed a USB wireless adapter on my computer, however the internet is not working proberly on it:

the only time the internet will work is if I open Windows Internet Explorer, or MSN Messanger.

If I type an address in the address window of a windows folder I get the message "Internet Explorer could not open the search page".
All the other programs that I've used to try to access the internet with just don't detect the connection.

My roomates are connected to the same router, and there connection is working fine.

I've also disabled windows firewall, so there is no firewall running on my computer.

I've tried changing many settings in Windows to fix this problem, but nothing seems to work.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internet-explorer-could-not-open-the-search-page.405399/
Relevancy 95.89%

At Major-Geeks,no matter which option I decide to choose,(SAVE or DOWNLOAD),I always get what program would you like to open this with.I tried NOTEPAD and it was to small and I tried Wordpad and all I got was a bunch of secret inscriptions.Please can someone tell me how to down load this program and install it.Windows 98SE. Thanks..........Robert

A:How do I install"Hi-Jack This",I keep getting "OPEN WITH" window.

this belongs in Security

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-install-hi-jack-this-i-keep-getting-open-with-window.290636/
Relevancy 95.89%

I always get this message "the internet explorer cannot open the page" when trying to access an internet page, the only thing i can do when i get that little message is OK after that i get page cannot be displayed or cannot find server..Im able to ping but not able to browse the internet, i have deleted cookies,tmp files, and nothing seems to work i even scan my PC with NORTON03, spybot and they both didnt find anything..What can i do?

Relevancy 95.46%

In Windows XP, fully updated, I have several folders full of mp3's and want to see the bit rate and duration. I right click on a column heading and select "Bit rate". I then click on "More..." so I can get to "Duration", and I select that one too.

But all the figures in the "Duration" column appear to be in "hours" and "minutes", so I see "00:04" or "00:03", but what I want is "minutes" and "seconds".

Any thoughts as to how to change this?

A:Solved: Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-explorer-duration-column-no-seconds-just-hours-and-minutes.693037/
Relevancy 95.03%

About one month ago a new problem surfaced Most times when I try to quot Save As quot a document and the application calls Windows Explorer for me to Browse where to save the file it hangs for upwards of seconds The Browse window appears but then I get a quot spinning circular cursor quot for - seconds until I can do anything This occurs in all applications from MSExcel through Internet Explorer The system never completely crashes but there is always this second lag now The lag also occurs when I try to open a document and to a less extent but sometimes when I simply open Windows Explorer Windows Explorer is inconsistent as to whether it will give me a lag sometimes it does work fine I have previously tried posting in the malware forum I had hangs "save Explorer "open" or when as" Windows picked something up they found and cleaned it out but that seems Windows Explorer hangs when "save as" or "open" to have been completely unrelated to this as it was a virus Windows Explorer hangs when "save as" or "open" redirecting my Google searches Can anyone help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-explorer-hangs-when-save-as-or-open.993583/
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi I m a new-commer and have been following this thread avidly and taking everyone s advice as I too have identicle problem to Chaz and other bloke i e my PC XP is open taking "My ages XP and to "Explorer" Computer" very slow shows torch when you open quot My Computer quot XP "My Computer" and "Explorer" taking ages to open for secs and when I use Explorer takes ages to find a web address so I m using Firefox which is fine Been bothering me for months tried RWnewson s registry and didn t work i don t have Created shortcut direct to C drive to bypass quot My Computer quot delay however while this works PC is becoming worse as when I move any files from one folder to another within the C drive the PC can t cope and stops responding HKEY CURRENT USER Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer Advanc ed quot NoNetCrawling quot dword anyway My computer is not part of a home network nor does it say searching when I open My computer This did all start when I installed software for new digital camera and webcam Uninstalled cameras but still runs slow Bugger Help Tried registry cleaner and various virus killers There is nothing threatening Interestingly when I end process for sychost exe everything works fine but then Windows closes down in seconds PLEASE HELP You all seem interested in Hyjack this report so here is mine Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system csrss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS System DRIVERS CDANTSRV EXE C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS Debug mdm exe C WINDOWS system wdfmgr exe C WINDOWS System alg exe C Program Files Thomson SpeedTouch USB Dragdiag exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Musicmatch Musicmatch Jukebox mm tray exe C Documents and Settings DELL Application Data Spyware Doctor swdoctor exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http www wanadoo co uk iesearch default htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www wanadoo co uk R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Microsoft Internet Explorer Provided By Wanadoo O - BHO PCTools Site Guard - C B A - DB - A -A CB-D BBFEB - C DOCUME DELL APPLIC SPYWAR tools iesdsg dll O - BHO PCTools Browser Monitor - B A D D- - C -A - DF C AC - C DOCUME DELL APPLIC SPYWAR tools iesdpb dll O - Toolbar Wanadoo - B D- FD- -B C- A F EE - C WINDOWS system WSBar dll O - HKLM Run SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics quot C Program Files Thomson SpeedTouch USB Dragdiag exe quot icon O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKLM Run MMTray quot C Program Files Musicmatch Musicmatch Jukebox mm tray exe quot O - HKCU Run Spyware Doctor quot C Documents and Settings DELL Application Data Spyware Doctor swdoctor exe quot Q O - Extra context menu item Search with Wanadoo - res C WINDOWS system WSBar dll VSearch htm O - Extra button Spyware Doctor - D D A- - D -A A - C B E E - C DOCUME DELL APPLIC SPYWAR tools iesdpb dll O - HKLM System CCS Services Tcpip B - BDC- D -A - F C F AB NameServer nbsp

A:XP "My Computer" and "Explorer" taking ages to open

assuming you ran spyware and adaware cleanups, i would suggest reinstalling windows..... Windows (every version) will eventually slow down and not respond, act very unstable, not cooperate, and eventually it will commit suicide and give you major blue screens. then the computer has problems booting... a reinstall (a fresh reinstall preferebly) would probably fix it.....

could you post your system specs? that may help a little bit...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-my-computer-and-explorer-taking-ages-to-open.411678/
Relevancy 94.6%

When I double click on "my computer" and then click on a drive, it brings up the search window instead of the drive I selected. Any thoughts?

A:"My Computer" command icon brings up search window

Instead of a folder opening in Windows Explorer when it is double-clicked, the Windows Search dialog opens

How do I set the default action on folders to open the folder instead of running Windows Search?

Sometimes after adding the right click with the Explorer, the default setting for opening a folder is changed.
To correct this:

Start Regedit
Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ Directory \ shell
Edit the default value to be explorer or none

You can download a reg file to do this automatically at:

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/directory.reg

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/my-computer-command-icon-brings-up-search-window-219930.html
Relevancy 94.6%

In MS ACCESS How can I make a separate copy of the Window submenu item command ? "Window" a Add to ACCESS user-defined MS menu a in a custom menu bar that will allow the user to switch from window to window but nothing else In my app I want to restrict the things that a user can do so I created my own pared-down versions of the standard menu bar and tool bar and turn off the standard ones upon startup I want to add the quot Window quot submenu to my custom toolbar In this custom version of the window submenu I don t want to be able to tile arrange or hide unhide I simply want a list of visable windows and to be able MS ACCESS ? Add a "Window" command to a user-defined menu to choose one of them to be the active window I know how to put a new submenu item in a custom menu and how to insert menu items into it but I don t know how to add this un-named capability to my custom quot Window quot submenu I tried copying the existing Window submenu from the standard menu bar onto my own custom menu bar by ctrl-dragging it MS ACCESS ? Add a "Window" command to a user-defined menu but rather than creating a new instance of the windows submenu it apparently only created a new pointer or shortcut to the MS ACCESS ? Add a "Window" command to a user-defined menu existing window submenu item because when I went to delete the tile cascade hide etc items from the custom window submenu they also disappeared from the window submenu in the standard menu bar How can I make a separate copy of the Window submenu item in a custom menu bar that will allow the user to switch from window to window but nothing else nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ms-access-add-a-window-command-to-a-user-defined-menu.305498/
Relevancy 94.6%

I am running Windows XP SP fully updated on an Acer Explorer Column Windows no "Minutes" "Seconds", "Hours" just "Duration" - and lap top PC I have several folders full of mp 's and want to Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" see the bit rate and Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" duration To Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" do this I right click on a column heading and select quot Bit rate quot I then click on quot More quot so I can get to quot Duration quot and I select that one too The two new columns appear but the format of the quot Duration quot column appears to be quot hours minutes quot so I see quot quot or quot quot for most mp 's when what I want to see is 'hours minutes seconds quot e g quot quot This also happens for video files avi files e g all my episodes of quot Heroes quot sad I know have a duration of quot quot instead of quot xx quot Here are two pictures showing the problem with the mp 's The first is of Explorer showing the Duration as quot Hours Minutes quot The second picture is of the properties window of the first mp in the list above I copied some mp files to another old PC on my home network and it displayed the duration field correctly Also the properties window correctly shows the duration also I'm not the only person to have this problem I received a private message from a member of another forum where I posted about this problem several weeks ago That person also has the same problem with the duration field The tech guys on that forum were unable to find the source of the duration field problem But after I had such a great success on this forum with my hard disk problem here I decided to try to get help here Thanks in advance for any suggestions

A:Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

* bump *

Tricky, this one!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-explorer-duration-column-no-seconds-just-hours-and-minutes-253928.html
Relevancy 94.17%

When I try to use the Run command module to run something like ipconfig, the little black window (go ahead and laugh... no idea what to call it) opens as expected, and i can catch a quick glimpse of the expected text. Then it vanishes before I can actually read anything. It can't be open for more than 1 second.

I'm scanning for viruses now.

(XP Pro with all critical updates installed.)

IBM Thinkpad T40

Relevancy 92.45%

How can I make it such that in Search Results, when I open a folder in a new window (by right-clicking a file), I will be directed to a window with the "full path" displayed in the address bar, instead of Search Results\"Path" or Search Results>"Path"?
Edit: "Right-click -> open file location" will open the file location and have the full address displayed. But that doesn't solve the problem if I have more than one result that I need to go to and check.

A:Open a new window with "full path" instead of Search Results\"Path"

See if this works, from the control panel, click on Folder options > View tab > check the box that says "Display the full path in the title bar" (classic theme only)

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/123649-open-new-window-full-path-instead-search-results-path.html
Relevancy 92.45%

Hi,

When our website users click on an html attachment embedded on a web-page in IE9, the download manager will not display the "Open" option. It will only display "Save" and "Cancel" which our users don't like, having to save the
html document in a folder to open it. Whereas, when downloading attachments like pdf, word etc. all three options are displayed. 

Is there any setting to tweak , which will display all the 3 options for HTML attachments as well?

A:IE9 download manager will not display "Open" option (only "Save" and "Cancel" is displayed) for downloading HTML documents.

Hi,
As you know, the Open-Save-Cancel dialog box helps you prevent your computer from affecting by virus while downloading. 
So I suggest you test to reset all zones to a lower level temporarily and then please attempt to download this html attachment again.

However, since you can normally download the other documents, I suspect there is some restriction in the website which you are trying to view. I recommend you to contact the administrator of that website if possible.
could you please send me the link of the website from where you are trying to download the html attachment?
Thanks!

We
are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this
interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3094ac49-8d49-4a60-a7cf-fb12c823e500/ie9-download-manager-will-not-display-quotopenquot-option-only-quotsavequot-and?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 92.02%

Installed Publisher 2003 on new windows 7 computer and noticed that the "fill" command would only fill in white. Went to the "Paint" program that came installed on the computer and the same thing was true. Should I upgrade to Publisher 2007? If "Paint" doesn't work, why would an upgrade to Publisher 2007 work?

A:Paint, Publisher "fill" command doesn't work

Hello Vrnuta, welcome to the Seven Forums.

By default the fill color (color 2) in both Paint and Publisher is white. Are you sure you remembered to change it to color you want to use?

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/83318-paint-publisher-fill-command-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 92.02%

I'd like to get into the startup files that you access via msconfig but when I enter the command it comes back with the following error:

Cannot find the file "msconfig" (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are availiable.

Is there another way to access the startup files or fix the above mentioned problem?

A:Windows 2000 "msconfig" command doesnt work

Msconfig is not a feature on the Win2k systems. You can however use the Win XP version on a Win2k machine as they are compatible.
Check the following link for various versions of msconfig:
http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Msconfig.htm

Hope this helps!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2000-msconfig-command-doesnt-work.182065/
Relevancy 92.02%

In Windows 7, whenever I try to select "Open file location" from the right click menu of a shortcut, instead of opening the folder in explorer, it opens a command prompt window with the directory set to file location instead. The same thing happens when I select "Show in Windows Explorer" in iTunes.

How do I fix this?

A:[Solved]"Open file location" opens command prompt instead

Hi, sorry for the delay, we down unders are having problems accessing the site. Both Vista and seven have the option to "open command prompt here" it looks like this has been associated with the context menu "open file location" very unusual. I wonder if Bonjour has anything to do with this (comes with I Tunes) you might prevent it from startup (not needed) under Msconfig uncheck it... is known as Responder has some letters before it like Mdns Responder.exe (or similar thats the one).

I would like to see the contents of this registry key (perfectly safe for you to do) open a Command prompt as administrator (start ,all programs, accessories right click command prompt select "run as administrator" at the prompt type:-

Code:
regedit /e C:\Note.txt "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell" & start notepad C:\note.txt
Press enter.

Copy the notepad contents here.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-open-file-location-opens-command-prompt-instead-495741.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Hi dear friends.

I am facing a terrible problem on my pc.

The "open with" command disappeared completely from my file context menu.

The fact is that I cannot have alternate choices of opening media files or any files, cause the command is not there!

So please, if anyone knows, tell me the default command line to edit on my registry...or otherwise please provide me the appropriate solution.

My OS is Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

Any other questions are welcomed!

Thanks in advance.

A:"Open With" command disappeared completely from File Context Menu

Welcome to Vista Forums!

If you double-click a file, what happen?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/231516-open-command-disappeared-completely-file-context-menu.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Note I am familiar with the Registry and have used it many times before you worry Okay i want to create a command in my right-click menu in Windows XP so for example when i m video editing Web-page desiging and alike in quot my recent documents quot i can go to the directory of the command containing Solved: in "open Folder" menus Right-Click file itself instead of simply opening the file Its a simple timesaver really and although everything i use is organised into folders i sometimes wonder if theres organised and then too organised with many sub-directorys leading to the files i need So in Solved: "open containing Folder" command in Right-Click menus the registry my first guess was to go HKEY CLASSES ROOT Shell Creating a key named quot Explore quot and editing it to display the name i wanted in the right click-menu Then i created a sub-key labelled it command and am working upon what i need to do in here I was wondering if anyone could suggest the line i will need i ve been working on it for a while with no luck I know the basics for example explorer exe is a must then followed by various commands such as e root etc etc What i m saying is i know the commands just not how i need to structure them to do what i am asking Thank you if you can help nbsp

A:Solved: "open containing Folder" command in Right-Click menus

If I understand correctly, 'open containing folder' could be interpreted as 'Find Target'.
Do a google search:http://www.google.com/search?q="right+click"+++"find+target"
You will find a lot of info on this subject. It appears to be slightly complicated to get this to work properly.

A simpler way would be to let a Dll file do all the work:http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=8336
moper

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-open-containing-folder-command-in-right-click-menus.622922/
Relevancy 92.02%

Create a newTask named OpenCmdHereAsAdminNoUAC and activate quot Run with the highest privileges quot Go to the Actions Tab create a new Action quot Start a Program quot choose quot C Windows System cmd exe quot and set the Working Directory Start in to CURDIR Create a Shortcut named OpenCmdHereAsAdminNoUAC In the quot Type the location of the item quot Field type C Windows System schtasks exe run TN quot OpenCmdHereAsAdminNoUAC quot and copy the created Shortcut to C Windows System Finally add the attached quot Add Open Command Window Here Admin No UAC reg quot to Registry Code Windows Registry Editor Version Created by Darth Nukem Created Context "Open UAC Prompt without elevated Here" [How-To] Command menu on HKEY CLASSES ROOT Directory shell OpenCmdHereAsAdminNoUAC quot Open Command Window Here Admin quot quot HasLUAShield quot quot quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT [How-To] Context menu "Open elevated Command Prompt Here" without UAC Directory shell OpenCmdHereAsAdminNoUAC command quot cmd s c quot setx CURDIR quot V quot amp start c windows system OpenCmdHereAsAdminNoUAC quot lnk quot amp exit quot quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT Directory Background shell OpenCmdHereAsAdminNoUAC quot Open Command Window Here Admin quot quot HasLUAShield quot quot quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT Directory Background shell OpenCmdHereAsAdminNoUAC command quot cmd s c quot setx CURDIR quot V quot amp start c windows system OpenCmdHereAsAdminNoUAC quot lnk quot amp exit quot quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT Drive shell OpenCmdHereAsAdminNoUAC quot Open Command Window Here Admin quot quot HasLUAShield quot quot quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT Drive shell OpenCmdHereAsAdminNoUAC command quot cmd s c quot setx CURDIR V amp start c windows system OpenCmdHereAsAdminNoUAC quot lnk quot amp exit quot quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT LibraryFolder background shell OpenCmdHereAsAdminNoUAC quot HasLUAShield quot quot quot quot Open Command Window Here Admin quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT LibraryFolder background shell OpenCmdHereAsAdminNoUAC command quot cmd s c quot setx CURDIR quot V quot amp start c windows system OpenCmdHereAsAdminNoUAC quot lnk quot amp exit quot quot

A:[How-To] Context menu "Open elevated Command Prompt Here" without UAC

Elevated Shortcut without UAC - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/60898-how-context-menu-open-elevated-command-prompt-here-without-uac.html
Relevancy 91.59%

Hey guys,

I know there's a way to add a "Open command window here" when you click ON a folder... but what I'm curious about is if there's a way to do that if you're IN a folder. It never made sense to me, if I want to run a command-line utility like ffmpeg on a file, to have to go up a folder, click that option, then enter the folder again.

Does anybody know if there can be an option like this? To clarify:
This is what I'm referring to. I know MS Office Groove added an option there, so theoretically couldn't there also be one for command prompt? I know if you right-click on the desktop while holding Shift, the option shows up, but ONLY on the desktop.

Any answers would be appreciated.

A:Adding "Open Command Prompt" Option

Hotkeys

PromptHere

It doesn't use the context menu. It's a hotkey.
If you hit the hotkey while you are in a folder with nothing selected, it uses a macro to go up, get the current folder, then go back where you were and open a command prompt. It has to macro up to get the current folder using the clipboard.

Also unlike other Command Prompt Here type utilities, you can select several folders and hit the hotkey. A prompt will open with each as the current directory.
IOW, if you had 3 folders selected you'd get 3 command prompts.

It's free for you to use at your own risk.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/183776-adding-open-command-prompt-option.html
Relevancy 91.59%

Okay recently I had a problem where I couldn t open exe applications and it was because the Open command key in my Registry was changed As in the value listed at HKEY CLASSES ROOT exefile shell open command was wrong I m not sure what it was though but that s irrelevant now What is relevant is what that value keeps changing to I changed it to quot quot but after I changed it to that it kept changing back during the startup process Every time I reboot my computer the value at HKEY CLASSES ROOT exefile shell open command keeps changing from quot quot to C WINDOWS system drivers spools exe quot quot I ran HijackThis and I m pretty sure what to get rid of to keep this from happening again but before I do that I d like to know why this .exe's driver! My Open value "Spools.exe" keeps changing to command is happening Spools exe is an official Windows driver as far as I know it s not malware Also on other computers I ve seen the value for HKEY CLASSES ROOT exefile shell open command is C WINDOWS system drivers spools exe quot quot so I m thinking it My .exe's Open command value keeps changing to "Spools.exe" driver! should stay that way But as long as I keep the value that way spools exe has to run before any application opens So there s a delay while Spools exe is running before I can do anything I have a feeling Spools exe should be a part of the Open command value so why is this delay happening for me nbsp

A:My .exe's Open command value keeps changing to "Spools.exe" driver!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-exes-open-command-value-keeps-changing-to-spools-exe-driver.843414/
Relevancy 91.16%

I double-click and get "search" instead of "open"--only when I click a disk, like Hard Drive C: or Floppy A: or CD F: and so on.

It didn't used to do this, so I must've inadvertently changed some setting somewhere, but darned if I can find it now.

Any ideas?

A:Solved: On the "my computer" list, I double-click on disks and get "search" instead of "open"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-on-the-my-computer-list-i-double-click-on-disks-and-get-search-instead-of-open.407035/
Relevancy 90.73%

I think something i installed had virus. Chrome, Explorer, Firefox, Microsoft word 2007, Memo and everything except pictures is not opening. Instead a file opens saying,"Do you want to open and save file?" Clicking everything does not work. everything
except pictures is shown by a internet explorer sign. I have another account on this computer but it works fine. I searched this on bing on Hp dock. Please help.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/aa064950-caf2-4fbc-9c08-9a8218b21118/chrome-firefox-sticky-notes-microsoft-word-2007-and-almost-everything-except-pictures-is-showing?forum=w7itproperf
Relevancy 90.73%

I think something i installed had virus. Chrome, Explorer, Firefox, Microsoft word 2007, Memo and everything except pictures is not opening. Instead a file opens saying,"Do you want to open and save file?" Clicking everything does not work. everything
except pictures is shown by a internet explorer sign. I have another account on this computer but it works fine. I searched this on bing on Hp dock. Please help.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e80580d0-2618-458b-90a8-6e37100cc195/chrome-firefox-sticky-notes-microsoft-word-2007-and-almost-everything-except-pictures-is-showing?forum=w7itproperf
Relevancy 90.73%

Never seen this problem before, If i do run "cmd", nothing, the dos box sits there with the blinking cursor. I cant type in it and have to shut it off. Yet, if i do run "command" it works fine????

All my specs are in my profile.

The hard drive has suffered data damage in the past due to being cooked in an extenal enclosure but i keep an eye on it. Its no longer in an external box, its inside my pc now.
Speedfan reports no errors on the drive via s.m.a.r.t.

A:The run "cmd" command doesn't work anymore

Strange eh?

Have you checked your system for viruses etc?

Regards Howard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/the-run-cmd-command-doesnt-work-anymore.58585/
Relevancy 90.73%

I have constant pop ups that says quot Buffer overrun detected C windows explorer exe quot and another one that sells the Gladiatus game Also there's something that prevents my cable modem for working correctly specially the uploading and also have erased the drivers of the modem command. constant explorer.exe pop "buffer detected" overrun ups the on several times In my start up I have a weird program called quot e e quot in the file rundll exe in folder c WINDOWS constant pop ups "buffer overrun detected" on the explorer.exe command. system rthlvlxc dll Deckard's System Scanner v Extra logfile - please post this as an attachment with your post -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- System Information ---------------------------------------------------------- Microsoft Windows XP Professional build Architecture X Language English CPU Intel Pentium III processor Percentage of Memory in Use Physical constant pop ups "buffer overrun detected" on the explorer.exe command. Memory total avail MiB MiB Pagefile Memory total avail MiB MiB Virtual Memory total avail MiB MiB A is Removable No Media C is Fixed FAT - GiB total constant pop ups "buffer overrun detected" on the explorer.exe command. GiB free D is CDROM No Media E is CDROM No Media F is Fixed FAT - GiB total GiB free PHYSICALDRIVE - Maxtor L P - GiB - partition PARTITION - Unknown - GiB - F PHYSICALDRIVE - ST A - GiB - partition PARTITION bootable - Unknown - GiB - C -- Security Center ------------------------------------------------------------- AUOptions is scheduled to auto-install -- Environment Variables ------------------------------------------------------- ALLUSERSPROFILE C Documents and Settings All Users APPDATA C Documents and Settings gaston Application Data CLASSPATH C Program Files Java jre lib ext QTJava zip CLIENTNAME Console CommonProgramFiles C Program Files Common Files COMPUTERNAME GASTON ComSpec C WINDOWS system cmd exe HOMEDRIVE C HOMEPATH LOGONSERVER GASTON NUMBER OF PROCESSORS OS Windows NT Path C WINDOWS system C WINDOWS C WINDOWS system wbem C WINDOWS COMMAND C Program Files QuickTime QTSystem PATHEXT COM EXE BAT CMD VBS VBE JS JSE WSF WSH PROCESSOR ARCHITECTURE x PROCESSOR IDENTIFIER x Family Model Stepping GenuineIntel PROCESSOR LEVEL PROCESSOR REVISION ProgramFiles C Program Files PROMPT p g QTJAVA C Program Files Java jre lib ext QTJava zip SESSIONNAME Console SystemDrive C SystemRoot C WINDOWS TEMP C DOCUME gaston LOCALS Temp TMP C DOCUME gaston LOCALS Temp USERDOMAIN GASTON USERNAME gaston USERPROFILE C Documents and Settings gaston winbootdir C WINDOWS windir C WINDOWS -- User Profiles --------------------------------------------------------------- gaston admin Administrator GASTON admin -- Add Remove Programs --------------------------------------------------------- -- gt quot C PROGRA OUTLOO setup exe quot APP WAB CALLER WIN X UNINSTALL PROMPT -- gt C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB r puninst exe RealNetworks RealPlayer -- gt rundll exe setupapi dll InstallHinfSection DefaultUninstall C WINDOWS INF PCHealth inf Ad-Aware -- gt MsiExec exe I DED B B-B C- -AE A-D FD C D EF Adobe Flash Player ActiveX -- gt C WINDOWS System Macromed Flash uninstall activeX exe Adobe Reader -- gt MsiExec exe I AC BA - AD - - B -A Adobe Shockwave Player -- gt C WINDOWS SYSTEM MACROMED SHOCKW UNWISE EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM MACROMED SHOCKW INSTALL LOG Advanced RealMedia Export Plug-in for Premiere -- gt C Program Files Adobe Premiere Plug-ins RNCompiler rnuninst exe RealNetworks RNCompiler Apple Software Update -- gt MsiExec exe I B F E-E B - A B- D - BB F A ATI Display Driver -- gt rundll C WINDOWS System atiiiexx dll InfEngUnInstallINFFile RunDLL -force restart -flags x -inf class DISPLAY -clean AviSplit Classic Version -- gt quot C Program Files bobyte AviSplit classic unins exe quot BitComet -- gt C Program Files BitComet uninst exe BrainWave Generator -- gt C WINDOWS IsUn... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/constant-pop-ups-buffer-overrun-detected-on-the-explorer-exe-command-241345.html
Relevancy 90.73%

When you right click any file, you can see the Open with... dialog.
When I click it, nothing happens.

I kept on waiting but the Open with window is still not popping out of my screen.

Well I tried this solution that was recommended to me by others:
Settings > System > Default apps > Choose default apps by file type
But when I click Choose a default or a file that already has a default program, my desired app will not show on the selection and lets me choose an app on the Store.

Please help me! It's making me angry trying to find a solution for this!
(I USE WINDOWS 10)

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/51060-open-dialog-command-not-working.html
Relevancy 90.73%

Hi Folks:

If I right-click a single file, the "open with" command is missing in Windows 7 Home Premium.

How do I fix this missing command?

Thanks, MS

A:Missing "Open With" command with right-click

That's strange. Have you edited the registry? Until you fix it, you can right click, choose Properties, and then click Change next to Open With.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/136623-missing-open-command-right-click.html
Relevancy 90.73%

Hi I've been using XP for years and just switched to Windows days ago when I got a new computer The default image viewing is Windows Photo Viewer which is fine I am running Fireworks MX yes I know it's old but I can't afford to buy a newer version and sometimes I'd like to open images directly with that in order to edit them So I right click on them and do open with -- gt Fireworks MX Fireworks MX correctly appears in the quot open with quot list but even when I choose it it still opens the photo in Windows Photo Viewer Does anyone know how to fix not command working "open with" correctly this I'd post a vid but I don't have the software to do so I can post screenshots of the process if it would help So my workaround so far as been manually opening Fireworks MX and then "open with" command not working correctly dragging the photo into it but obviously I shouldn't have to do that I have Windows Home Premium bit if that matters Thanks

A:"open with" command not working correctly

Any ideas? This is still happening and I'm not sure how to fix it because what else can I do besides do an "open with"? It's like even though I tell it to "open with" Firefox.exe, it decides to use WindowsPhotoViewer.exe instead. That makes no sense to me and I don't understand why it would use a different program other than the one I specifically tell it to use.

I've considered deleting WindowsPhotoViewer and then trying to do "open with" Firefox to see what it does when the program it wants to use doesn't exist anymore (probably give an error message), but I don't want to delete Windows Photo Viewer because I do want to use it in some cases.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/140772-open-command-not-working-correctly.html
Relevancy 90.73%

Hi Adaware keeps showing this as a possible infection regfile shell open command quot quot Adaware pauses at Software Microsoft Internet Explorer when it makes that regfile\shell\open\command 0 "" call It always returns What is it I have the AAW updates in place and use HJT regfile\shell\open\command "" 0 and script sentry Please see below adaware scan and HJT log The adaware entry keeps returning With HJT I leave my deletions backed up That includes dcom I never know what to get rid regfile\shell\open\command "" 0 of for good I use IE and Opera v I use very high security settings on both but occasionally must enable java and active scripting to function at trusted sites I normally pass ALL of the Jason Toolbox tests Is my port availaibility ann issue TCP This port is listening for a connection TCP This port is listening for a connection TCP This port is listening for a connection TCP This port is listening for a connection TCP This port is listening for a connection UDP UDP UDP UDP UDP UDP UDP Anyway Here are the logs Thanks for any help D Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system csrss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Webroot Spy Sweeper SpySweeper exe C WINDOWS system crypserv exe C Program Files Executive Software DiskeeperWorkstation DKService exe C Program Files Common Files EPSON EBAPI SAgent exe C Program Files Sygate SPF Smc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System devldr exe C Documents and Settings dave renick Desktop SECURITY HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Comcast High-Speed Internet O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocx O - HKLM Run SmcService C PROGRA Sygate SPF Smc exe -startgui O - HKLM Run Gnetmous C Program Files COMPAQ Scroll Mouse gnetmous exe O - HKLM Run ScriptSentry C Documents and Settings dave renick Desktop JASON script sentry ScriptSentry exe check O - HKCU Run SpySweeper quot C Program Files Webroot Spy Sweeper SpySweeper exe quot O - HKCU RunServicesOnce washindex C Program Files Washer washidx exe O - Startup PowerReg Scheduler exe O - Extra context menu item amp Download with amp DAP - C PROGRA DAP dapextie htm O - Extra context menu item Offline amp Explorer Download the link - file C Program Files Offline Explorer Add UrlO htm O - Extra context menu item Offline E amp xplorer Download the current page - file C Program Files Offline Explorer Add AllO htm O - Extra context menu item Download amp all with DAP - C PROGRA DAP dapextie htm O - Extra context menu item Download all by Net Transport - C Program Files Xi NetTransport NTAddList html O - Extra context menu item Download by Net Transport - C Program Files Xi NetTransport NTAddLink html O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C PROGRA MICROS Office EXCEL EXE O - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C WINDOWS System msjava dll O - Extra Tools menuitem Sun Java Console - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C WINDOWS System msjava dll O - Extra button no name - CD F -D E - d - FE- C F AFE - no file O - Plugin for spop C Program Files Internet Explorer Plugins NPDocBox dll O - DPF ConferenceRoom Java Client - http chat privatefeeds com java cr cab O - DPF ppctlcab - http www pestscan com scanner ppctlcab cab O - DPF FC A E- - E - - DB PPSDKActiveXScanner MainScreen - http www pestscan com scanner axscanner cab O - DPF E -DB F- D - CD - C F A Microsoft WinRep - https webresponse one microsoft com oas ActiveX winrep cab O - DPF D D - - D -BDCD- C F A B HouseCall Control - http a g akamai net housecall trendmi... Read more

A:regfile\shell\open\command "" 0

Could be a trojan infection so try a full system scan here first..http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/indexie.php

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/regfile-shell-open-command-0.256443/
Relevancy 90.73%

I hope my explication will be clear enough:

I have this small home made program which generates some .ref files.
I almost always look at this .ref files with notepad:

double click ("open with...")
select notepad
disable the "always open with..." option
ok

accidently i didn't disable the "always open with" option
consequence: every .ref is opened automatically with notepad, but I don't want that
How can I undo this?

thank you in advance!

Relevancy 90.3%

hi
iam kamal
iam facing drive open problem pls suggest me "Cant open any hard disk ... "open with " window poped up "

A:Cant open any hard disk ... "open with " window poped up

Ironically I just answered a post like that here
Anyway, copying and pasting
"You drive associations may be messed up. Here's a link
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
Click on drive and download the registry script and run it.
(thanks to justpassingby for the original link)"

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-open-any-hard-disk-open-with-window-poped-up-313055.html
Relevancy 89.87%

How to remove the quot Authenticated Users quot quot Create Folders quot permission from the root of the C Drive via command-line I know this question has been asked many times before but nothing works for us We tried the following Take ownership I cannot take ownership using the Administrator account local and Domain Admin accounts of the root C Error Access Denied Cuurent root C owner is TrustedInstaller and acnnot be changed We cannot nbsp change or remove the Create Folders permission of the Authenticated Users of the root C Error Access Denied Drive C is hidden via GPO but many users can enter it from the File-Explorer and create folders permission "Create the "Authenticated Users" command-line? via Folders" How C the root from of to Drive the remove in the root C We do not want -for many reasons- to Block Prevent Access to C via GPO We also nbsp tried to run cacls and or icacls under the system-account PSEXEC -i -s -d CMD Error Access Denied icacls C deny S- - - NP AD Error Access Denied How to remove the "Authenticated Users" "Create Folders" permission from the root of the C Drive via command-line? icacls C remove g S- - - Error Access Denied cacls c e c R quot Authenticated Users quot Error Access Denied Also using GPO quot Computer Configuration Security Settings Restricted Groups quot does not work Now we have this issue How to remove the "Authenticated Users" "Create Folders" permission from the root of the C Drive via command-line? on over pc's on our network Nothing work Please help How to remove the quot Authenticated Users quot quot Create Folders quot permission from the root of the C Drive on nbsp command-line win builder

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2a97f7e6-c685-4a8d-b3db-ca8803c664f6/how-to-remove-the-quotauthenticated-usersquot-quotcreate-foldersquot-permission-from-the?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 89.44%

quot dependency chain quot quot windows quot internet quot windows explorer quot At the time of this writing this search in Google will produce one result at best Am I searching the wrong things I have tried a couple handfuls of variants and "dependency 7" chain" internet "windows explorer" "windows I am coming up with zilch Though I am fairly well versed in Windows from working on other people's machines I decided to stick with good old XP because of one issue above "dependency chain" "windows 7" internet "windows explorer" all else When I instructed my firewall to block Windows Explorer from accessing the Internet it completely cut me off from the Internet no ifs ands or buts My understanding of why this is happened leads me to believe the dependency chain for Internet access goes through Windows Explorer I have long had a habit of blocking my File Manager of choice access to the Internet because well it's a file manager Admittedly my one experience with Windows on my own machine was a retired student version of Server R but as soon as I found out that was the case I decided not to make the move to Windows and went back to my XP installation I believe I was using Sunbelt Personal Firewall at the time I now use PCTools Free Firewall Is this still the case with Windows Is there a workaround if it is I haven't tried to recreate this on another person's machine KronKyrios

A:"dependency chain" "windows 7" internet "windows explorer"

Hi KronKyrios, welcome to 7F!

I did find some very old information that may shed some light:
http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?17198-explorer.exe-(W98)&p=58079#post58079

"Launch Browser Windows in a Separate Process" Setting Is Not Available in Internet Explorer 5.01 or Internet Explorer 5.5

You can go into Services and check:
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
Network Connections
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Windows Management Instrumentation

R-click on each one, then Properties, then the Dependencies Tab.
You would have to cross check each one that is listed.

Here is a good list to help you: Black Viper’s Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Service Configurations

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/206824-dependency-chain-windows-7-internet-windows-explorer.html
Relevancy 89.01%

I am using Windows 7 on my laptop and I have question about when to use "Home", "Work" and "Public" profile.

If I am logging in without setting password, and I am logging in network with "Public" profile, then will any other user, who can see my computer, be able to enter my computer and check the contents on my computer ?

I am connecting to a network and there are 6 other users connected to this network. In the set network location window, if I select the netwoek as "Home", does it mean that other 6 users will not be able to see my computer on network and if I use "Public", then all other six users will be able to see my computer on network ?

Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/when-to-use-home-work-or-public-profile-while-connecting-to-network-478413.html
Relevancy 88.15%

early last open cant a to Extremely problem, "connect window even network" odd week I had a weird problem come up where something still dont know what wiped out all of my buttons in the lower right of my taskbar At first I thought that I could just work around it with rainmeter but now I found a problem that might be tied into the icons missing I can't open the quot connect to a network quot window when I go to the link in the network and sharing center it doesn't do anything same with every other link directing me to the window This normally wouldnt be a problem but I'm a college student and need to switch networks a few times Extremely odd problem, cant even open "connect to a network" window a day Does anyone have any ideas I already tried replacing the dlls changing the registry associated with those icons and a few other things theres a guide somewhere and I did every step in the guide please this i'm getting desperate My father is borrowing my laptop until tomorrow night so I wont be able to come back here until then thanks guys

A:Extremely odd problem, cant even open "connect to a network" window

First of all, get some AV scanning.

Second, try to reinstall the program or driver for your network card.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/206062-extremely-odd-problem-cant-even-open-connect-network-window.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Hi there I have a problem running Patran in Windows the program seems to run fine and I am able to open data bases and work on them The problem comes in when I want to either save the database open a new database or just open a current database For each of these functions a new smaller window pops up so I can navigate to the correct file or path to click on it or whatever Initially the window opens as I would expect but as soon as I move the mouse or try to use the keyboard to navigate the window goes blank and I can do nothing with it Strangely using the compatibility setting to open the program in a x display they do seem to work fine but because of the small resolution I cannot actually see the part of the window where the files are - so that also doesn't help me It seems as though there is something between Patran and Windows that one correctly window display open" doesn't "Flie of them don't like but it "Flie open" window doesn't display correctly baffles me that everything "Flie open" window doesn't display correctly else works fine If any one else has had "Flie open" window doesn't display correctly the same problem maybe with a different program even let me know what you did to resolve it Otherwise any advise would be useful Thanks Alan

A:"Flie open" window doesn't display correctly

Welcome!

First, how long has this been going on? Did it start right from the time you installed it?

You may try uninstalling and then reinstalling Patran. If that does not help, try running it in compatibility mode for Vista or XP.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/73637-flie-open-window-doesnt-display-correctly.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Can anyone help me with this ? i got a picture ... i cant sendto desktop as shortcut the icon is missing .. help !!

A:"Desktop As Shortcut" Command Is Missing from the "Send To" Menu

Maybe this info will help:
Send To Context Menu - Remove or Restore Default Items

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/382253-desktop-shortcut-command-missing-send-menu.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Hello,

I'm getting the error as "Stack overflow at line 46" while executing the command "Add-AzureAccount".

When I hit enter after that command, small window will open asking for Microsoft credentials. When I enter my username, it will process and gives me the error  Stack overflow at line 46.

Installed Azure commandlets on Powershell 4.0 and using IE8. I have reset the IE but still getting the same error.

Any help on this issue is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sridhar. A

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4875ec57-0f2d-4638-8030-43457c35cb4b/quotstack-overflow-at-line-46quot-while-executing-the-command-quotaddazureaccountquot?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 87.72%

Hi
thank you for reading my post
I have a problem with my windows XP SP2.
It was affected by a virrus during the small priod that i turned off the antivirus, now I cleaned the virus using my antivirus.
The problem is that when I double click on any og my applications icon it open "open with" window and not my application.

Applications open if i browse and use application itself in "open with" window and also they works if i use cmd.

Can some opne help me with fixing this?

Thanks

A:Any application that I click causes the "open with" window to open?

right click any file u want to open with some specific program, select Open With > Choose program.

from the list, single click on the desired program, and DON'T forget to click (check) "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" and click ok. Next time u double click this file, it should open it wih your previous (above) selected program.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/any-application-that-i-click-causes-the-open-with-window-to-open-182319.html
Relevancy 87.72%

Can't open any programs cuz this annoying window "Open with" pops up asking what application I want to open this file with? If I go browse and select the file (i.e. IE) then another window opens asking if I want to run, save or cancel. When I hit Run.... windows close and nothing happens. Pretty much dead in the water here. Tried recovery to an older config.... no help. It even happens on Safe Mode. Any help?

A:Can't open Apps - "Open With" window always appears

Hello Seahunt, and welcome to Seven Forums.

It sounds like your associations for these file extensions may have been messed up. Downloading and merging the .lnk (LNK) and .exe options in the tutorial below to restore their default associations and hopefully fix this for you.

Default File Type Associations - Restore

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/178194-cant-open-apps-open-window-always-appears.html
Relevancy 87.72%

Over the course of the last week, I have realized that when I am on youtube and I go to watch a video, sometimes a "Offer" tab will open in another tab on chrome. I have looked around at how to get rid of this but to no avail. Secondly, just today, I have realized that when I go on google chrome and search for something, a "Enhanced Results" section will be displayed just below the search bar and to be blunt, both of these are plain annoying and I would like to have these viruses removed.

A:"Enhanced Results" window when searching & tabs open randomly on google chrome

In addition to these, there is green highlighted text that whenever I mouse over, I get "Ads by Bettersurf". There never was any highlighted text on my computer before. Also if I click on the text, it takes me into a new tab.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/enhanced-results-window-when-searching-tabs-open-randomly-on-google-chrome.1113919/
Relevancy 87.72%

Hi,
We ran into a a clash with a bunch of viruses before, mostly recovered from those, but now when I try to open the c: drive i mean when i double click on C driver to open. It gives a window of "Opens Program With" I dont know what to do . This is driving me crazy.

I am using Windows XP, Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

A:C Drive opens with "Open Programs with" Window

have a look at this thread
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/624141-solved-cannot-open-local-disk.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-drive-opens-with-open-programs-with-window.634080/
Relevancy 87.72%

On my Dell laptop running Vista Business the "Connect to a Network" window won't open. Regardless of where I attempt to access it, it won't open. It was working fine a few days ago. I have read other threads where users have had slow response times on it opening but it won't open at all for me. Has anyone else had this issue? Also, does anyone know of a way to reinstall this or fix it some how??? Thanks in advance.

A:Vista "Connect to a Network" window won't open

Welcome to the forums

Try this method:
Control Panel\Network and Internet\Connect To A Network

You can also try using command prompt

netsh wlan connect name=ABC

where ABC is the name of your network.

Good Luck

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/194858-vista-connect-network-window-wont-open.html
Relevancy 87.72%

Hello Following text has been translated from French I have two PC - one HP Pavilion dv - sf Notebook PC i - QM CPU - one desktop HP p fr Core Quad CPU Q This last one has a default of file association with doc default describes hereafter that the first does not have although they run both under Windows Family Premium bits SP and that with" Can't in Word with window files .doc "Open get associated 2007 the version of MS Office used is the same i e SP The two machines are Can't get Word 2007 associated with .doc files in "Open with" window regularly updated each week by Windows Update Description of the default only Word of MS Office is concerned First of all I must say that to open a file doc with Can't get Word 2007 associated with .doc files in "Open with" window the Open command of the Office Button of Word does not present any problem However by Can't get Word 2007 associated with .doc files in "Open with" window double clicking on a file doc this one opens under another application OpenOffice or NotePad also installed on my PC whereas the same action on the files docx normally opens them under Word Of course to solve this problem consists in modifying the files association with doc file type by using the contextual menu Open with check the text Always use the selected program to open this type of file Browse the tree structure C gt Program Files x gt Microsoft Office gt Office and double-click on Winword exe But surprise Winword does not appear in the programs list of the Open with window Several tests were carried out - after having carried out the Microsoft Office diagnoses Office button gt Word Options gt Resources - after uninstalling of OpenOffice and MS Office followed by the re-installation of MS Office only - on files doc created by the current Word Finally it was still impossible to have Microsoft Office Word in the programs list of the Open with window Thank you by advance for the solution which could be proposed solution that I couldn't find neither on sites forums in French English languages where similar cases are described nor on those of Microsoft in spite of my knowledge about data processing Sincerely Yours

A:Can't get Word 2007 associated with .doc files in "Open with" window

Go to Control Panel/Default Programs.

In the Set Your Program Defaults you can set MS Word 2007 as default.

In the Set Program Access and Computer Defaults you can associate file types with desired programs.

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/272632-cant-get-word-2007-associated-doc-files-open-window.html
Relevancy 87.72%

when i go to open something, theres always a sidebar with buttons My Recent Documents, My Computer, My Documents, Desktop, My Network Places.

is it possible to modify whats in that quick select bar, id like to take out a fewand put in direct links to my backup hard drive and my music folder if it can be done. thanks for any help in advance.

A:Solved: Adding buttons to "open" window in xp?

Edit the Places bar locations in Open/Save As boxes

If you're uncomfortable with registry editing, I suggest you use method 2.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-adding-buttons-to-open-window-in-xp.399167/
Relevancy 87.72%

Does anyone know why I'm receiving the following JavaScript Error: message in FX 2.0.0.2: JavaScript Error (inside the Error Console): "window.open is not a function" when I click on any of the video demos inside this page:

http://www.computer-training-softwar...tification.htm

It also doesn't work in IE 6.

I emailed the company and they sent me items to check which I did.

I've updated both QT to the latest 7.1.5 and Java Runtime Environment (JRE) to 1.5.0 Ver 11

I've tried it with the Firewall turned off. I've enabled all Java, JavaScript. ActiveX Controls. I've prevented any pop-up blockers, etc

Here's what the Function Call looks like inside the Source Code of the Script:

popupWin = window.open(file,"vtcplayer","status=no,resizable=no,toolbar=no,scrollbars=no,screenX="+wposx+",screenY=0,left="+wposx+",top="+wposy+",width="+winwidth+",height="+winheight);

thanks for your insight, experience and skill.

Aloha, Words

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/javascript-error-window-open-is-not-a-function-145330.html
Relevancy 87.72%

This is a pretty minor problem but also very annoying When I right click on the volume icon in the task bar and select playback devices recording devices or sounds nothing will happen for a couple minutes then eventually the window will open It usually takes almost a minute for the window to come up However when I select quot (from slow window taskbar) "Sound" to very open Open Volume mixer quot or quot Volume Control Options quot both windows open up quickly Worth noting I recently got a "Sound" window (from taskbar) very slow to open new ssd and this is a fresh install of Windows Ultimate Before this install I never had this problem but the problem did not start immediately after the fresh install I recently got new sound hardware for music production which required firmware and driver updates I switch between using a usb pnp device headset and speakers on a daily basis I have checked the drivers for my Motherboard and headset and my audio gear drivers are up to date I have also unplugged all other usb and firewire audio devices to see if that helps specs CPU Phenom ii X BE edition OC'd to GHz Motherboard Asus M a gtd pro USB RAM GB Kingston hyperX DDR Storage GB Samsung Evo SSD GB WD HDD Black GPU Asus AMD R x

A:"Sound" window (from taskbar) very slow to open

I have had that problem when opening the Sound panel. My video card (a Radeon HD7770) displays multiple HDMI audio ports on the sound panel, Playback section and that was causing the delay. As I don't use HDMI, I disabled the HDMI audio, in the Device Manager and it fixed my problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/315768-sound-window-taskbar-very-slow-open.html
Relevancy 87.72%

Hi!

I "told" Maxthon (i.e. Internet Explorer) to open f4v files with VLC. However, I'd like to have back the dialog window that asks if I want to open or save such files. How do I do that?

Thanks,
diodorus

A:Restore the "save or open" dialog window

I don't have Internet Explorer on my system, but from the Firefox perspective, you click on 'Options'~'Applications'...This is where you can specify default actions for various file formats opened with Firefox.

Check out if there's something similar in Internet Explorer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/21317-restore-save-open-dialog-window.html
Relevancy 87.72%

In Outlook when I right click on an item in the New Size Outlook for "Open in Default Window" navigation pane such as a folder or quot Contacts quot and select quot Open in New Window quot the new window size is too small and I have to resize it every time I ve searched the posts here found some similar issues posted but none with a solution that I can make work for this issue I ve tried Default Size for "Open New Window" in Outlook - resizing the window and clicking on the top right quot x quot to close it - resizing the window moving back to the first window closing the first window then clicking on the top right quot x quot to close the resized window - resizing the window holding quot Ctrl quot key and clicking on the top right quot x quot to close it - resizing the window holding quot Shift quot key and clicking on the top right quot Default Size for "Open New Window" in Outlook x quot to close it - resizing the window holding quot Alt quot key and clicking on the top right quot x quot to close it - Other variations of the above There is something that has changed the window size setting because it has changed twice in the last few months but I cannot figure out what it is My OS is Windows Vista Ultimate -bit running on an HP Pavilion laptop nbsp

A:Default Size for "Open New Window" in Outlook

How are you resizing these panes?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/default-size-for-open-new-window-in-outlook.873059/
Relevancy 87.72%

Hi folks, my problem is:
I cant open the window to choose the files to upload to a website;
I Cant open that same windo to choose the fileto open with a program (ex: im on paint and i cant open the "choose a file" window to open and edit a photo)
and i cant open that same window in any other program :\
that started to happen after a registry defrag/cleaning, any sugestion?

Thanks for the help

A:Cannot open the "choose a file" window in any ocasion

i forgot to m
say that every time that this window should all the open windows blink once as they are going to minimize but then they dont and everything stays as it was.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/218879-cannot-open-choose-file-window-any-ocasion.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Window quot pauses quot on shut down then this quot szchostc quot Message window pops up Then another window window Window on down this then "szchostc" shut "pauses" up 98 pops a few minutes later quot End task quot quot Continue quot or quot Cancel quot box Window 98 "pauses" on shut down then this "szchostc" window pops up pops up When I push end task windows then will shut down It is linked to the lt sync eye crypt dll certget name string A gt because this will come up if i push the buttons to much to shut my PC Window 98 "pauses" on shut down then this "szchostc" window pops up downand the ram hits bottom I don t know what to do Microsoft support quot SUCKS quot I visted this quot trojan quot web site that link me to quot Szchostc quot I downloaded their zip Window 98 "pauses" on shut down then this "szchostc" window pops up file and I tried to extract the bad files but it didn t seem to work They had a notepad work sheet that was way over my head with PC jagon Please feel free to e-mail me with any help this problem is working my nerves Chainsaw nbsp

A:Window 98 "pauses" on shut down then this "szchostc" window pops up

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/window-98-pauses-on-shut-down-then-this-szchostc-window-pops-up.221153/
Relevancy 87.29%

Hi Recently I ve started getting an explorer window after starting up and loggin into XP and I get a file not found error always with quot idlist xxx yyy quot where xxx and yyyy change each time I ve checked through the startup items in MSCONFIG and disabled some to no avail I m extremely grateful for any insight you may have Are we looking at something malicious Here is a Hijack This log Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program an messages XP with error explorer "idlist" and with Startup varying window Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Cisco Systems VPN Client cvpnd exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus DefWatch exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXE C XP Startup with explorer window and an error with varying "idlist" messages Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe C WINDOWS system r server exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus SavRoam exe C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMAgent exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe XP Startup with explorer window and an error with varying "idlist" messages C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exe C WINDOWS system fxssvc exe C Program Files Intel Wireless XP Startup with explorer window and an error with varying "idlist" messages Bin ZcfgSvc exe C PROGRA Intel Wireless Bin XConfig exe C WINDOWS Explorer exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C WINDOWS AGRSMMSG exe C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMax PNP exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files HPQ HP Wireless Assistant HP Wireless Assistant exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ifrmewrk exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files MSN Messenger MsnMsgr Exe C Program Files palmOne Hotsync exe C Program Files Microsoft SQL Server Tools Binn sqlmangr exe C Program Files Roundpoint Subscription Manager SubManager exe C Program Files HPQ SHARED HPQWMI exe C My Downloads HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http my msn com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www hp com O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO DriveLetterAccess - CA D E- - CF- E - - C WINDOWS system dla tfswshx dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run IgfxTray C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run AGRSMMSG AGRSMMSG exe O - HKLM Run SoundMAXPnP C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMax PNP exe O - HKLM Run SoundMAX C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX Smax exe tray O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe O - HKLM Run UpdateManager quot C Program Files Common Files Sonic Update Manager sgtray exe quot r O - HKLM Run dla C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exe O - HKLM Run SynTPLpr C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe O - HKLM Run SynTPEnh C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe O - HKLM Run Cpqset C Program Files HPQ Default Settings cpqset exe O - HKL... Read more

A:XP Startup with explorer window and an error with varying "idlist" messages

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-startup-with-explorer-window-and-an-error-with-varying-idlist-messages.438755/
Relevancy 87.29%

I have four external usb drives All seem to have disappeared at the same time I checked one of them on another computer and it's fine There's no error in the device manager except from External drives explorer USB2 window computer the "disappeared" it said that the device on one port had failed I disabled that but left it plugged in because I don't know how to tell which physical port corresponds to the info show by Windows Rebooting doesn't help External USB2 drives "disappeared" from the computer explorer window The usb bus appears ok because it will charge my ipod although if I plug in a thumb drive that's not seen by windows either The only thing new I did before noticing this is I was trying out cleanmgr I from the cmd window as administrator and I ran cleanmgr setup hoping there would be a screen saying what it does There was not and there was no visual response to running it There's lots of advice on the net about External USB2 drives "disappeared" from the computer explorer window usb drives disappearing from windows but I don't want to start trying a whole bunch of things without really understanding what they do I'm hoping this is something simple Any help appreciated Thank you -Ron More info I just found the External USB2 drives "disappeared" from the computer explorer window following message for all four of the quot Generic Volume quot lines in the Storage Volumes section of the device manager quot A driver service for this device has been disabled An alternate driver may be providing this functionality Code quot How would I fix this

A:External USB2 drives "disappeared" from the computer explorer window

Open Device Manager, right click any of the Generic Volumes->Properties->Details tab. Use the pull down menu and look if Class Upper Filters or Class Lower Filters exist. If yes, copy paste the values into next post

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/343851-external-usb2-drives-disappeared-computer-explorer-window.html
Relevancy 86.86%

Ok, so basically, whenever I turn the computer on, 3 error messages appear:

- A virtual driver failed to inicialize DLL. Chose close to end the program. H:/Windows/system32/code/pRee.exe

- A virtual driver failed to inicialize DLL. Chose close to end the program. H:/Windows/system32/code/pRee1.exe

- Error loading H:/Archiv~/GBPLUG~/gbiehcef.dll. Couldn't find specific module.

(sorry if some terms are incorrect, my computer is in Spanish, to I tried to translate as best as possible)

Please help me solve this terrible problem, it is really getting me on my nerves! (oh, and if this helps, I've recently donwloaded this so called "Limewire acceleration", and whenever I ran the setup, it didn't work. I don't really remember the name of the website I downloaded it from, sorry...)

A:Can't Open "My Documents", "Trash" or other files in "My Computer"!?

Hi and Welcome to the forum

I am almost certain that you have malware problems. Most like caused by you doing file sharing/ P2P - Limewire.

Suggest that you go here and follow the directions:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...oval-help.html

Please be advised that the malware people are very busy and it could take a couple days to assist you.

BG

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-open-my-documents-trash-or-other-files-in-my-computer-288056.html
Relevancy 86.86%

I thought I was computer savvy until this problem came up When I double click my computer recycle bin control panel etc the hourglass comes up for a few seconds goes off and nothing else No error messages or anything just nothing I have viewed a few of the threads covering this and a common link was the hijack this result I have posted that here and really hope that someone can help me with this I have run SpyBotSD and adaware I have run mutiple virus scans I did an SFC and the final thing bin", I "control computer" "my "recycle open cannot panel" etc... was to repair windows using the original disk none of which has help I am running Window XP w SP Any other suggestions would be certainly appreciated Hope to here from someone soon MTCS out Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus DefWatch exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C PROGRA I cannot open "my computer" "control panel" "recycle bin", etc... TDSTEL ENTERN app pppoeservice exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system wuauclt I cannot open "my computer" "control panel" "recycle bin", etc... exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Toolbox Apache Tomcat webapps Toolbox StatusClient StatusClient exe C Program Files ScanSoft OmniPageSE OpwareSE exe C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe C WINDOWS BCMSMMSG exe C Program Files Adobe Photoshop Album I cannot open "my computer" "control panel" "recycle bin", etc... Starter Edition Apps apdproxy exe C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C PROGRA DEFEND DEFEND PopUpKiller exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Toolbox Javasoft JRE bin javaw exe C Documents and Settings Charlotte Hough Desktop HijackThis exe O - BHO HP Print Enhancer - C E- - -BF - C - C Program Files HP Smart Web Printing hpswp printenhancer dll O - BHO HP Print Clips - F -DC - -A C- F D C - C Program Files HP Smart Web Printing hpswp framework dll O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - C E -B - BC - - C CA - C Program Files Real RealPlayer rpbrowserrecordplugin dll O - BHO IE PopUp-Killer Neikeisoft - E E F - C - D - D- - C PROGRA DEFEND DEFEND PopUp dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - HKLM Run StatusClient C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Toolbox Apache Tomcat webapps Toolbox StatusClient StatusClient exe auto O - HKLM Run TomcatStartup C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Toolbox hpbpsttp exe O - HKLM Run OpwareSE quot C Program Files ScanSoft OmniPageSE OpwareSE exe quot O - HKLM Run REGSHAVE C Program Files REGSHAVE REGSHAVE EXE AUTORUN O - HKLM Run vptray C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe O - HKLM Run BCMSMMSG BCMSMMSG exe O - HKLM Run Adobe Photo Downloader quot C Program Files Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition Apps apdproxy exe quot O - HKLM Run HP Software Update C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKCU Run SpybotSD TeaTimer C Program Files Spybot - Search amp... Read more

A:I cannot open "my computer" "control panel" "recycle bin", etc...

You may want to reinstall the operating system.

Backupthe files that are importantto you before you reinstall.

The "New" installation will overwrite the current one

If you do not format your hard drive before the reinstall the installation should not harm your files (That's why I suggest backingup your files) and will speed up the installation process.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-cannot-open-my-computer-control-panel-recycle-bin-etc.717788/
Relevancy 86.86%

Have a PC with Windows XP HE. In the corner of the desktop a "window" is embedded with IE operating within. There are sliders on the "window"...but no way to close it by right clicking....and there is no "X" available. The "window" can be sized with the mouse....and loads itself automatically after the desktop loads.

I've completely redone the desktop to no avail.

There is no indication on the launch bar that IE is running...but it is.

HELP!

Thanks in advance!

George

A:Solved: IE "window" open on desktop - won't go away

George, Right click your Desktop, choose Properties, under the Desktop tab click the Customize Desktop button, under the Web tab make sure that ALL items are unchecked, click OK/Apply/OK

Tufenuf

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-ie-window-open-on-desktop-wont-go-away.828466/
Relevancy 86.86%

Hello,

When I try to download a file on a Web Page using IE, I have "save" and "cancel" buttons but no "open" button on the popup window. I guess this is linked to some IE security settings but which one?

Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/no-open-button-on-ie-popup-window-375670.html
Relevancy 86.86%

I am running wXP on my computer and now everytime I clic a desktop shortcut i get the " Open with" window asking me what I want to use to open the program. I check the box that says always open this file with this program. but if I close it out and clic it again I get the "Open with" window again. How do I fix this

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/all-desktop-items-ask-for-open-with-window.301014/
Relevancy 86.86%

I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0 right now.
My problem is that I cannot open links in new windows when I right click on the link, and click the "Open Link in New Window" option. Sure, a new window comes up but the area in which the page is suppose to load in seems to be blank and frozen. The address bar does not contain the address for the page.

This problem just suddenly started happening out of the blue, and the only way for me to actually get it to load is click stop then refresh.

Relevancy 86.86%

hey guys, just today, I noticed that whenever i double click a folder, it opens in a new window.  I went to folder properties, and made sure I checked "Open each folder in the same window," and its checked.  I tried switching it on, then off, then restoring all defaults in both those settings and the view settings, and I've tried restarting the computer, even using a system restore point.  No Matter what, whenever I double click a window, it opens in a new window, but if I use the navigation pane, or if I highlight a window and click the open button at the top left, it opens in the same window.  This is very very very annoying, because just navigating my harddrive, I might end up with 20 windows open to reach just 1 file. Does anyone know what's wrong?  or how I can fix this? 

A:"Open each folder in the same window" not working

Hi!I'm not sure if this will help, but you can try:

1.Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
2. Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.
3.If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue
4.At the command prompt, type the following line, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannow
When the scan is complete, test to see whether the issue that you are experiencing is resolved.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/797fe60c-efb8-44d0-8495-81102b0a7c9c/quotopen-each-folder-in-the-same-windowquot-not-working?forum=w7itproui
Relevancy 86.86%

When I print to Paperport, normally it opens a "save as" window and I click the folder I want to save it as. In Windows 7, the save as comes as a flashing button on the bottom left taskbar, and I have to click it to open. How do I get it to open a "save as" without it going to a flashing button in the task bar??

Any ideas or help? Thank you!

A:Paperport 11 Will Not Open "Save As" In Window

Should this post be in Business Applications? Also...any ideas on the problem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/paperport-11-will-not-open-save-as-in-window.925558/
Relevancy 86.86%

Hi all,

If I click "file/open" when using the software I have at work, in the window that opens I often have to end up navigating through a complex folder structure to get to the file I want to open.

Is there a way of adding shortcuts on the bar on the left of the panal that comes up when I click open(which currently has these shortcuts):

"recent places", "desktop", "libraries", "computer" and "network"

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks alot.

A:Adding shortcuts to "open" window

If the contexr menu is what you are refering to. Check the tutorials for context menu. Lot of great infor there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/103244-adding-shortcuts-open-window.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Talk about a mystery, one day it's right, the next....no "with" next to the open.
When I right click, I have two Open commands. One is the open with, but the word "with" is not there.
Any suggestions on how to correct this? I wonder if it is a registry fix.

Thanks
Max

Relevancy 85.57%

Hey oh,

For some reason my desktop icons do not work when i click on them. When i double click or right click and hit open, a window pops up that has "Open with" options but none of them work. I noticed a couple other forum posts similar but none of the attachments or links in those posts are still active.

Please help. I am right pickled.

A:Desktop Icon's send me to "Open with" but none of the programs work

Oh I should mention that this happened a long time ago so the F8 restarts to a point in time don't work. Also I clearly learning my lesson as to backing up everything so that I can restart from a back up time.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/desktop-icons-send-me-to-open-with-but-none-of-the-programs-work-652150.html
Relevancy 85.14%

The subject message pops up any time I attempt to open my IE8 browser using Windows XP and set to my home page "ATT.Yahoo". When I click "OK" in the message, IE closes and tries to recover, but with the same results each time. I know
there is a method to reset IE9, but can't tell if it also pertains to IE8 since it can't be opened.

A:"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library" "Runtime Error! Program: C:Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

Hi,
the first step in troubleshooting IE issues is to test in noAddons Mode.
toolbars.google.com - download and install the latest IE compatible version of the Google Toolbar.
for consumer help with IE select the Help>Online Support menu from IE and follow the prompts for your windows and IE versions. thx.Rob^_^

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/809daad7-a7a3-4520-9af0-959d69ac8cb8/quotmicrosoft-visual-c-runtime-libraryquot-quotruntime-error-program-cprogram?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 85.14%
Relevancy 85.14%

My wife is a creature of habit and when something changes on her computer, I'm the first to no about it.
Yesterday when she inserted a SD card into the usb media reader, instead of the "open with" dialogue popping up, it's the media drive window that opens. There's no such thing as re-training and life is going to be miserable if I can't get it working like it did.

Help.....

A:How to restore "Open with" window

This should work..

Go here:
Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP

On line 241, you'll find "Restore choose program - Open With", click to download the .reg file. Then double click on it and it should ask you to import it to the registry, choose yes. Then reboot the computer and see if it fixed the issue.

-Coolfreak

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-restore-open-with-window-636260.html
Relevancy 85.14%

Hey guys usually I post on Seven Forums but given I have a Vista-specific problem I figured I would post it here I have an issue in Vista where shortly after a fresh install "Open in new window" problem of Vista Business x every time I open a folder it would open in its own window I checked folder options it's set to open in the same window I read "Open in new window" problem the tutorial on this very site and checked all my settings Everything right down to the registry entries are as they SHOULD be for opening a folder in the same window but for whatever reason they keep opening in their own windows It's as if Windows itself decided to change how it behaves I admit I vLite'd my Vista Business disc originally so I thought "Open in new window" problem I may have borked the OS by removing something I shouldn't have but then I tried using the untouched disc and the issue is still there Any insight would be appreciated cuz I'm at a loss

A:"Open in new window" problem

Check out the following tutorial to see if it helps. You may need to use Method 3 if you've already tried the others, but hopefully one of them will help: Open a Folder in the Same or Separate New Window. Remember, some of the steps are subtle, so read them carefully and follow them to the letter.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/284332-open-new-window-problem.html
Relevancy 85.14%

I have a 2007 Compaq Presario with Vista Basic & a 2004 HP Pavilion with XP Home for computers. I belong to several music chat lists & music forums & on occasion a member will post an e-mail with a webpage (see screenshot 040) included that directs us to their playing or someones playing but lately instead of going to the site, I get the "cannot go to webpage" window(see attached screenshot 038). I don't have any trouble going to a U Tube or My space site, so I'm lost. This happens on either computer. Can someone help me Please?
Ed

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cannot-open-webpage-window-189743.html
Relevancy 85.14%

Hi to everyone!

I have this problem very long time ago untill now.

When I press "del" key a help window will open, also some characters have accompanied by other letters. for example when I press "s" it gives me "s1" others are "w" = w7, and the worst is when I press "2" the system will force to shutdown.

I have used diff. anti virus like mcaffee, norton and pccillin with updated dat files. I also update my system to the latest service pack after I reformat it to make sure I got a very fresh and secured system, but it doesn't protect me.

My system:
Service Pack 2
Pentium IV 2.4g

Any help will be highly appreciated! please! it really ruin my time. and I'm afraid that someday all of my files will turned to .exe or unusable.

Please help.

A:Win XP: When you press "del" help window will open

Try a different keyboard, and also, try cleaning the motherboard(Don't user water ;) )

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/win-xp-when-you-press-del-help-window-will-open-75742.html
Relevancy 85.14%

Please please help me I hope I m not being redundant I m using Windows XP Pro and I m the Internet access can't "users" Explorer" My administrator and only members of my immediate family have access to this home computer There are of us Each of us has a quot user quot site I as administrator am able to run quot Internet Explorer quot and surf the web My "users" can't access Internet Explorer" When the limited quot users quot try to run quot IE quot double click the quot IE quot icon My "users" can't access Internet Explorer" on their quot user quot site nothing happens until about a minute later the screen goes disjointed everything freezes up and quot IE quot cannot be accessed doesn t load If I change the quot users quot to quot administrators quot they are able to access quot IE quot no problem and hence surf the net If I change them back to quot limited quot quot IE quot again doesn t work I ve run quot ad-aware quot spy-bot quot quot pest control quot I have quot zone-alarm quot installed and quot Norton Anti-virus quot Can anyone help me nbsp