Windows Support Forum

Borked my Windows/Linux dual boot, Windows won't boot anymore

Q: Borked my Windows/Linux dual boot, Windows won't boot anymore

Was trying to delete Linux from my dual boot and I accidentally the whole Windows 8 boot loader (again). But this time is worse.

I have Linux installed to get the boot loader back. Windows appears in the GRUB boot menu, but it is corrupted and will not boot. When I try to boot from it, it now goes to a "preparing automatic repairs" screen followed by an "attempting repairs" screen. I'm given an "Automatic repair couldn't repair your PC." Then it takes me to the Windows 8 recovery options.

Before it got corrupted, I tried doing a system restore from the recovery options but had to force a shutdown because the restore got stuck and would not end even after 10 hours had passed. That was probably a bad idea.

What should I try next?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Borked my Windows/Linux dual boot, Windows won't boot anymore

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Borked my Windows/Linux dual boot, Windows won't boot anymore

if you have a windows 8 disk, you can try a startup repair.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/borked-my-windows-linux-dual-boot-windows-wont-boot-anymore-701798.html
Relevancy 110.51%

I wanted to set up Ubuntu on my computer and followed the instructions in the first answer to this thread dual boot - How to install Ubuntu alongside Windows - Ask Ubuntu As instructed I created a logical partition using EaseUS software I did this on my H drive a hard disk drive whereas Windows was installed on C and SSD After a mandatory reboot for the new partition changes I did not immediately go to install Ubuntu although I had Live USB to do so - Ubuntu to Dual Wanted Won't Boot Boot and Win7 Anymore Windows Instead if I remember properly I booted into Windows to make sure everything was Wanted to Dual Boot Win7 and Ubuntu - Windows Won't Boot Anymore OK but only to find out that some quot Windows could not boot properly quot giving me the option to 'Launch Startup Repair' - which I did but to no avail All it did was reported that some system files were missing or corrupt I then installed Ubuntu on a third drive because I still needed it to perform some benchmarking I did this using the 'install alongside windows ' option But now that I don't need Ubuntu anymore all I am interested in is getting back to Windows while keeping all the files and programs intact How should I go about fixing this Delete the logical partition on the other drive I also have that Windows installation CD and I'm thinking its repair options could be useful - but not having a whole lot of self-confidence I don't know what steps exactly to take to preserve my files Any help is greatly appreciated Edit I booted from the Windows installation disk just to see the options available and when selecting the 'Repair Windows' option I got a message saying quot this version of system recovery options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows quot The CD is definitely matching the version of windows I want to install but a problem might me that my Windows and the CD are the OEM versions which I've read can't be used to perform upgrades

A:Wanted to Dual Boot Win7 and Ubuntu - Windows Won't Boot Anymore

Hi I Am User,

Upon inserting the Windows installation disk you should be able to install a new Windows and be able to select Upgrade and it should create the Windows.old folder on the new Windows.

Cheers
Boris

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/387451-wanted-dual-boot-win7-ubuntu-windows-wont-boot-anymore.html
Relevancy 110.08%

Hi everyone I was experimenting with Elementary OS when it went a little wonky just became unresponsive and features had broken Couldn t really figure out the problem so I just decided to uninstall it I deleted the partitions that it had been installed on and tried to restart into Windows I got a screen much like the one in the attachment below I did some searching on my other computer and found out that GRUB is the bootloader for linux and replaces Windows bootloader when you install it I also found that to restore windows bootloader you re gonna need a windows Solved: boot dual Can't Deleted Linux boot - Recovery disk So I made a recovery disk using my Windows laptop Using a Flash Drive plugged it into my crippled computer booted from the USB followed the instructions that I had accumulated from multiple websites explaining what to do The specific instructions were to go to the command prompt within the recovery disk and type Code bootrec exe fixmbr I also had tried Code bootrec exe fixboot since another site had suggested trying that They both said that the operation was successful I was then told that I should be able to reboot into Solved: Deleted dual boot Linux - Can't boot windows Windows good as new Well I can t I m still getting the same GRUB rescue screen linked above So that s the problem Here s various bits that may be helpful Crippled PC - Windows Pro GB SSD - Solved: Deleted dual boot Linux - Can't boot windows Windows install NOTE When trying to reset it gave me the message saying that the drive with Windows installed was locked and that it needed unlocked in order to reset refresh it TB HD - Just extra storage for Windows TB HD - This is the drive that had the linux partitions about GB was for linux now just unallocated The rest is one partition that contains some backup information NOTE If it makes any difference this was an external HD that I ripped out of its enclosure as the SATA to USB converter card seemed to be going out Other notes The recovery disk was made on my Windows laptop that originally shipped with Windows not it s also just the Basic version not Pro The crippled PC was built with Windows Pro I personally built the crippled PC so there is no recovery partition within it If any other information is required please let me know and thank you for any help Also if this issue was already been presented and fixed please do link it to me I couldn t find any where using these commands didn t work nbsp

Relevancy 110.08%

Tried Ubuntu amp didn't like it so wanted to remove it completely After deleting amp recovering that portion of G which is where Ubuntu was installed I couldn't boot in Windows I was able to use my install disk to load into repair The OS it found was- OS -Windows Partition Size - Mb Location - F F struck me odd as I thought this would be C I then when to Command promp amp used Bootrec exe fixmbr enter - then Bootrec exe fixboot enter then restarted The PC booted in Windows amp all seems OK but still wondered if the location was correct I reloaded the install disk as before amp when into repair amp it still says location as F which is my backup drive OK my PC boots but shouldn't the location be C not F After all if F is removed or goes bad I'd Linux boot Windows dual 7 now Uninstalled with OS issue. boot have the Uninstalled Linux OS dual boot with Windows 7 now boot issue. non-boot issue again wouldn't I If so how do I write it to C

A:Uninstalled Linux OS dual boot with Windows 7 now boot issue.

Dual-booting 2 or more Operating Systems can mess up the drive lettering, especially when 1 or more are uninstalled. If Windows is working properly the only issue will be in assuring program installations point to the drive Windows is on. The earlier versions of Windows such as Win98, WinME, etc., were particular as to the drive or partition they were installed on. Part of the situation may be affected by the newer motherboards and HDDs that use SATA connections instead of the older PATA, SATA has only one drive per socket on the board while PATA have one data cable for each socket and can have one or two drives on each cable.

The easiest/less time-consuming way I've found with such an issue is to backup any user data then boot to a GPARTED CD and wipe the HDDs that have or had an OS installed followed by connecting only one HDD for installing the OS then reconnecting the storage drives. Leaving any of the boot files of a previous OS on an HDD can mess up the boot process, sometimes slows things down when booting.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/356254-uninstalled-linux-os-dual-boot-windows-7-now-boot-issue.html
Relevancy 108.79%

Hi

I recently felt the urge to experiment with Linux and installed Ubuntu Mint and tried to set up dual booting.

However I seem to have only suceeded in preventing Windows booting at all. I cannot get into the recovery drive to undo my wrong doing.

How can I reset the windows boot manager without access to windows or recovery partitions?

Many thanks in advance from a frustrated fool!

A:Dual Boot Linux preventing Windows boot

Hi there
Try this -- although it says W7 the same mechanism works for W8 / W8.1

uninstall - Removing GRUB from windows system after uninstalling Ubuntu from Windows 7 - Ask Ubuntu

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/49811-dual-boot-linux-preventing-windows-boot.html
Relevancy 108.79%

Hello!
I've got Windows 7 installed and would like to set up a dual boot system with an Ubuntu 9.04. However, I would like to use the Windows 7 boot loader instead of GRUB. How can I do that? Thanks in advance.

A:Linux Dual Boot System Using the Windows 7 Boot MGR

See if this thread from today helps: Where to install ubuntu in my system?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/84739-linux-dual-boot-system-using-windows-7-boot-mgr.html
Relevancy 108.36%

Goal Dual boot Windows and Linux and have an NTFS partition for both OS Boot Windows problem tools Linux: with 7 disk Linux Dual Partitioning Problem When creating Logical Partitions with any Linux partition tool Dual Boot Windows 7 Linux: Partitioning with Linux disk tools problem Gparted cfdisk the Linux swap and ext partitions shows Dual Boot Windows 7 Linux: Partitioning with Linux disk tools problem up on Windows as primary partitions outside of the Extended partition while the NTFS partition Dual Boot Windows 7 Linux: Partitioning with Linux disk tools problem shows up inside the Extended partition as logical drive Disk management shows primary partitions and logical drive inside an extended partition As seen in Disk jpg attachment I'm using MBR not UEFI I can create the partitions in Windows disk management and choose not to format the two logical partitions used for Linux I can then use the mkswap and mkfs ext command to format the partitions See Disk jpg attachment Questions Why is Windows disk management not showing my partitions correctly when I use a Linux tool to partition the disk Will this cause any problems with Windows I'm afraid of making Windows unbootable although it booted just fine I do plan on using EasyBCD to add an entry to load the grub bootloader for Linux If I partition my disk with Windows disk management as seen in Disk jpg will that cause any problems for Linux What is the recommended way to handle this What are the downsides to each way Note I'm a bit of a linux noob

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/383556-dual-boot-windows-7-linux-partitioning-linux-disk-tools-problem.html
Relevancy 104.06%

hello i have some questions regarding dual booting windows home premium x with linux fedora on dual independantly dedicated drives i am a college student with moderate computer windows knowledge but am doing software development and would like to play around with some linux for a class i have no prior experience with linux and have minimal knowledge of operation i am currently running windows and would like to keep it as my primary os i do not wish to share media files across with and dual 7 drives linux windows boot fedora dual drives or os's windows does that just fine as is and i dont want to get into a third drive my windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives current drive is a tb wd black caviar hdd it is also currently rds full and the desktop is windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives about months old so i would rather not partition the drive for a dual boot i would think that there are some other advantages for the os's operating independantly off their own drives other than if one hdd dies i should windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives still have the other with its os still ok i have read some topics about RAID configs with dual boot setups with dual drives like this but am not very familiar with RAID is there a RAID config that would be beneficial in this situation i currently do not have a RAID card my tower internals are not very accessible and i dont like the idea of disconnecting drives depending on which os i want to operate so what would be the best way of going about this this is a near future project so i am looking for someone with some experience in this area hopefully thanks - garrett

A:windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives

Hi garrettchatt and welcome to Windows 7 Forums

Are you trying to ask something? There's nothing there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/142453-windows-7-linux-fedora-dual-boot-dual-drives.html
Relevancy 103.2%

Hi all currently boot windows 7 ultimate and 8.1 as a duel boot through BCD 2.2 (with win 7 the main boot) hoping to upgrade 8.1 to ten later on this year we see, but also want to add Linux can I just add the grub in bcd and then connect my all ready installed Linuxmint 16 cinnamon hard drive (that's already installed to) to my configuration, or would I be better reformatting that hard drive and using a iso to install to it ... also my Linux is fairly old is there a new one ? u would recomend

A:dual boot windows linux

The latest Mint is 17.1 Rebecca - Editions for Linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca" - Linux Mint

I would recommend to put Mint into a virtual partition. Messing around with the Grub for the Windows systems is no fun. Here is how.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/365356-dual-boot-windows-linux.html
Relevancy 103.2%

I want to install linux (any version of it) on my already-win10-installed laptop. But I'm afraid later the driver won't work (e.g. the trackpad won't work, or maybe the keyboard) once I dualboot my laptop with linux.Is it safe to dualboot my laptop with linux? If so, would you please send me a website link with the best walkthrough to make those above happen? Thanks.

A:dual boot windows 10 and linux

Hello Bill468 The HP forum does not support other products / software.But Linux and all the various varieties have a wide community that offers support.You would do best to ask them for help with dual booting. With that said, if you want to test a certain flavor of Linux on your hardware, one way to do so is to create a bootable USB stick with that OS.Here is an example of doing this for Ubuntu...How to create a bootable USB stick on Windows | Ubuntu To be able to make the HP laptop boot from the USB stick, you need to make some changes in the bios. Rapidly tap the F10 key when powering on.Arrow over to System Configuration.Look for Secure boot and disable it.If Legacy is offered, enable it.Save and Exit.The system will ask you to enter a code prior to restart.Enter the code shown. It will not show as you type the numbers and this is normal. Restart the PC again and rapidly tap the F9 key to bring up the boot options list.Now you can select your Linux USB drive and boot it.You can try various versions of Linux this way until you find what you like. Hope that helps. Good luck.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/dual-boot-windows-10-and-linux/td-p/5844265
Relevancy 103.2%

I want to know how I should go about creating a dual boot so I can test out a few Linux distributions while still having the option to use Windows XP. Is it a different process for different distros? I have my hard drive all set up with a partition ready and waiting for LInux.

Any help would be much appreciated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-linux-dual-boot.275530/
Relevancy 103.2%

Is there a tutorial here I didn't find so maybe in another place there's a good tutorial on how to be able to install both Linux and Windows on my boot Windows Dual with Linux laptop's hard drive So that when I restart my laptop I will be able to choose from either Windows or Linux I did that once with Windows and I remember I had possibilities Either to be able Dual boot Windows with Linux to choose through a Linux prompt at the startup or through a Windows prompt I tried both options It was either doing it via a Microsoft boot manager or via Linux boot manager or something like that I just can't remember Hope it's clear enough Edit I remember there was some sort of Linux boot manager if you install Linux AFTER Windows and if you then delete Linux completely you had to repair Windows boot loader Or it was the other way i e installing Windows AFTER Linux and then repairing Windows boot loader Thanks

A:Dual boot Windows with Linux

Load of guides on web eg

How To Install Ubuntu Linux Alongside Windows 10 (UEFI) Everyday Linux User

Main thing is to install Windows 10 first, then Linux.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/39232-dual-boot-windows-linux.html
Relevancy 102.77%

Hello I'm Henry I'm fairly new to Windows though I have lots of to in borked boot -will drive with SSD windows record normally boot CD experience with Windows XP I forced myself to upgrade before the April th deadline though I knew SSD boot record borked -will boot to windows normally with CD in drive I would loathe the experience This build is about three weeks old I put in a Sandisk X GB SSD and I have a WD GB drive I also had my XP build on a GB WD drive When Win installed it setup a dual boot with the old XP installation In typical MS fashion it gave me no options of where to store the boot information I installed Win to the SSD and am using the HDD as a location for everything not system related A week and a half ago I removed the dual boot setup as it was no longer needed but had to go through the setup to fix the SSD boot record borked -will boot to windows normally with CD in drive boot record etc Seemed to have worked fine except the installation now shows the installation as quot Windows recovered quot It WAS working without issue None at all Then this morning for some unknown reason the system decided that my router was an quot unknown network quot I have two routers one is connected to the cable modem downstairs the other is set to pass through All of this was working normally until it stopped this SSD boot record borked -will boot to windows normally with CD in drive morning Cannot use wireless due to interference in old building w steel beams aluminum electrical wire and foil air duct I reset everything including the computer That's when the real problem began the system now hangs at the quot verifying DMI pool quot and shows a series of dots as it is doing so It stops before noting success and hangs It does this unless I put in a bootable CD or use the F key to select the boot device I fixed the extremely annoying networking issue with the reset but the boot problem remains I went through the Windows repair option Let it do it's thing Tried the quot bootrec fixmbr quot which reported success but quot bootrec scanos quot says there are quot quot OS found Likewise quot bootrec rebuildbcd quot also completes with quot quot OS repaired Neither fixmbr nor rebuildbcd options fixed the problem though they both reported no errors and instead success The GUI option to fix whatever is making windows not boot also reported quot quot OS were fixed though my installation shows up in the box except for the aforementioned quot recovered quot part appended onto it The only way to boot is through the aforementioned F or bootable CD The BIOS on this mainboard doesn't have an explicit option to set the SATA ports to AHCI Setting SATA ports to Advanced seems to be the option per several online threads about the G M-ES L to make it work right and that is what I set it to prior to installing windows No changes to these settings have been made thought since I installed windows I checked that they are unchanged So after all of the above how do I make it go back to working I looked in Disk Manager under Windows and YES the SSD is Active and shows as the quot Boot Active Crash Dump Primary quot The HDD shows as quot System Active Primary quot I'm not sure why it made the HDD active when I formatted it since I don't remember doing that part But I suspect if it wasn't I think I might not be booting at all Through all of this the computer works just fine once I get into windows I'm using the system to type this and there are no issues whatsoever So the only way I can boot normally is with either the CD in the drive or by using F and selected the HDD It's obviously a borked MBR but how do I make it fix it if bootrec is not showing the installation Is there a way to force it to detect the installation One other thing of note we had a power brownout during a hard thunderstorm two days ago The computer restarted and checked the drives for consistency All tests passed without issue I even ran the test a second time manually to be sure No errors ... Read more

A:SSD boot record borked -will boot to windows normally with CD in drive

Hi Henry -

I thought you deleted XP so am not sure why the System flag is still on the hard drive. It signifies the partition which is booting Win7, but also needs to be marked Active to successfully do so.

To repair this, unplug the HD and run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times which will attempt to repair and then write the System boot files to Win7 partition since they were never put there but instead added to XP during installation.

Once Win7 partition starts, is labeled System Active and boots itself, you can plug back in the other HD making sure SSD remains set first drive to boot in BIOS, mark the HD partition Inactive which should keep it from interfering although the best way to do this is move the data off and delete the old System partition. Partition - Mark as Inactive - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/328735-ssd-boot-record-borked-will-boot-windows-normally-cd-drive.html
Relevancy 101.91%

Hello,

Not sure if this should go Linux forums or here so I decided to try both
What I have here is a brand new machine with two empty hard disks, one ssd and another regular one.
Now, I would like to install windows 8 (+ most used programs) on the ssd and Mint (+ other linux stuff) on the regular disk.
This regular disk should also be divided, giving linux around 20gb (ext4) and leave the rest for windows (ReFS, ntfs or whatever it that windows 8 is using).
I would also prefer to have the system boot to Windows by default.
What would be the easiest way to accomplish this?

Thanks!

A:Dual boot | Windows 8 on ssd and Linux Mint on hdd

I did something similar... well I had Win7 installed first then I installed Ubuntu Linux and it became the secondary OS.
Windows first then Linux .. that should get it done. HTH

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/9618-dual-boot-windows-8-ssd-linux-mint-hdd.html
Relevancy 101.91%

Hello friends,

I would like to install Linux Ubuntu on my laptop alongside Windows using dual boot.
However, people keep telling me that it is not a good idea this to be done on a laptop because of driver comparability and stuff like that.

So is it OK if dual boot Ubuntu and Windows on a laptop or it is a terrible idea?

Best Regards
Stefany

A:Dual boot Windows and Linux Ubuntu

I'm against multi-booting of any kind. I believe in keeping it simple, so if you want to play around with Ubuntu, especially if you are worried about compatibility, virtualize it. It's 100% compatible with VirtualBox.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/259979-dual-boot-windows-linux-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 101.91%

So I'm trying Fedora. It's installed on a separate hard drive then my XP and 7, but I would like to know the way to get Fedora in my Dual boot screen while keeping Windows in control. Could anyone help ? All I could find was way to let fedora handle it.

I don't want fedora in control. And no, I won't run it in virtual before anyone propose it.

A:Dual boot windows 7/linux (Fedora)

I notice EasyBCD 2.0 beta has a Linux tab on its Add/Remove tab.

It works wonders with Windows dual boots, so I'd give it a try.

You have to do a quick registration to use the beta.

Post back for more help or with results so others can benefit.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/60275-dual-boot-windows-7-linux-fedora.html
Relevancy 101.91%

Well, hello back! I have been using Linux Mint, which is based on Ubuntu, since the last time I visited the forums but now I want to dual boot with Windows 7....

So...
I have just Mint 8 (based on Ubuntu 9.10) installed on my laptop (nothing else), and I if I wanted to dual boot with Windows 7, how would I do it?
I've read guides and stuff but they're sometimes outdated, and I know I could use VirtualBox to run Windows 7 but I want to dual-boot.

A:How to dual boot Linux Mint and Windows 7?

Quote: Originally Posted by bp96

Well, hello back! I have been using Linux Mint, which is based on Ubuntu, since the last time I visited the forums but now I want to dual boot with Windows 7....

So...
I have just Mint 8 (based on Ubuntu 9.10) installed on my laptop (nothing else), and I if I wanted to dual boot with Windows 7, how would I do it?
I've read guides and stuff but they're sometimes outdated, and I know I could use VirtualBox to run Windows 7 but I want to dual-boot.

See if this helps you out,

Dual Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/116306-how-dual-boot-linux-mint-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 101.91%

I am very new to windows 8 (8.1) but this is undefensible .
I was trying to install Ubuntu alongside my windows 8 install when I accidentally
wiped out my entire windows 8 install.
I am using an acer aspire laptop

Does anyone have any ideas about how I might reinstall windows 8

Thanking you in advance

A:Lost Windows 8 trying to dual boot Linux

I am using an acer aspire laptop

Is this a Acer OEM manufacturer's PC with Pre-installed Windows 8?

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/36297-lost-windows-8-trying-dual-boot-linux.html
Relevancy 101.91%

X Carbon Gen - Keep running into Linux 10 and Dual-boot Kali Windows Pro errors trying to dual boot on this computer After trying for a few days I found some guides and Dual-boot Windows 10 Pro and Kali Linux while not much I didn't know already came out of them I was able to find a few useful suggestions Still running into some Dual-boot Windows 10 Pro and Kali Linux issues mainly GRUB related Hard drive failed to recognize the new partition a few times but mainly GRUB related Anyone able to give their step-by-step guide including BIOS changes to help me get this machine to dual-boot Win Pro and Linux Tired of having to run it from a flash drive and would rather not run it in a VM I might be getting rid of the computer anyway and going back to a MacBook Pro Used this computer hours or less and had to send it in for repair Got it back new system board and CPU same problems sent out again and they replaced the fan Still getting random disk CPU usage at times and the idle temps just aren't stable Very disappointed that this was suppose to be one of the best business-class laptops around and I had to have it repaired twice in less than weeks I don't trust the Lenovo techs after this I honestly just want my money back but I doubt that will happen nbsp

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Dual-boot-Windows-10-Pro-and-Kali-Linux/td-p/3457639
Relevancy 101.91%

I recently config my system for dual boot PCLinux/WindowsXP. I tried to change the size of my partition with the PCLinux install program and I can no longer boot into Windows XP. PC athalon 1800 40 gig HD, and 250 Gig HD. 40 Gig is is drive0
Help PLEASE!!
thanx
rew999

A:Windows/Linux dual boot problem

AFAIK, lilo is a boot loader, Not a partition manager. What you have probably done is set it to boot from a non existant partition as the information you would have entered would have been incorrect. I think you would be looking for a program like partition magic to resize the partitions, then change the relevant information in LILO.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-linux-dual-boot-problem.457619/
Relevancy 101.91%

Hello, Luffy here.

As you've probably noticed, i'm new and i need help.
I really want to dual boot Win8.1 with Kali Linux. ~ 64 bit.

I'm having a lot of doubts about it. A lot of people write that their Win8.1 system got, excuse my language, ****ed up. They say it's because of OEM/UEFI & so forth.

I'm unfortunately not so experienced with dual booting so i wouldn't really know what to do. Could anyone please help me clarify all of this? What's the problem with Win8.1 & Linux, what do i need to do in order to install it succesfully without errors?

Thanks in advance to everyone.

A:I cannot dual boot Windows 8.1 with any Linux distro

Hello,

Kali document regarding dual booting:

Dual Boot Kali with Windows | Kali Linux Official Documentation

This might help: (screenshots are not in english)

Dual Boot Ubuntu and Windows 8 UEFI | eLab Hackerspace [EN]

some general help guides on dual booting Windows:

Dual Boot Installation - Windows 8 and Windows 7 or Vista

Windows 8 VHD - Create at Boot to Dual Boot with

Cheers,
Harry

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/40977-i-cannot-dual-boot-windows-8-1-any-linux-distro.html
Relevancy 101.91%

...is to have two hard drives; one for Linux and one for Windows. With SATA connections, GRUB detects both drives, it makes Linux the default drive, of course, but you can change the boot default in Linux's menu.lst, if you want.

Two separate hard disks, one for each OS, isn't everyone's cup of coffee, but with hard drives being as inexpensive as they are now, why not? Maybe it's my obsessive-compulsiveness that makes me want to have one drive for just one OS, but I really like the way it works out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-favorite-way-to-dual-boot-linux-and-windows.113971/
Relevancy 101.91%

Hi,

I'm a newbie in Windows 8, linux, Partition....

I would like to use my new laptop with windows 8 pre-installed to the following:

Create a Dual Boot Windows 8 / Ubuntu
Create on my C drive (unique drive on my laptop):

*a partition for the system
*one for Windows 8
*one for Data and
*last one for Ubuntu OS

My aim is :

-to install VmWare on Windows 8 and run Checkpoint Splat with virtual machines to perform CCSA labs.

to install GNS3 on Ubuntu for CCNP labs but with GNS3 accessing files in the Data partition

I have a Toshiba Satellite with 750Gb and 8 Go RAM.

According to you what's the best size for my partitions?
Is there a better way to partition my C drive regarding my aim?

Best Regards

***I don't know if it's the right section, sorry for that. Feel free to move this thread in the appropriate section***

A:How to best partition the HDD for dual boot: Windows 8 & Linux

I think the partitions size depends on the further software you want to use and install.
So if you have a lot of software which is running under Windows system I would recommend choosing a bigger size for Win 8 partition.

However, since you?ve got a 750GB HDD, you could take 200GB for Win 8, 100GB for Linux and the rest of the HDD size you could use for Data.

By the way: I found nice YouTube video how to create a dual boot using Win 8 and Linux http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Yd2jK-7Jg

Greets

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?70387-How-to-best-partition-the-HDD-for-dual-boot-Windows-8-Linux
Relevancy 101.91%

I have been trying to install both xp and redhat onto one hard drive, but it keeps saying I'm missing the hal.dll file... I am using the boot.ini file to get a dual boot menu. Anyone have any idea what I may or may not be doing? Thanks in advance.

A:Dual boot Windows XP and Linux RedHat?

You already posted this in the Linux Forum.

http://forums.techguy.org/t181000/s.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-windows-xp-and-linux-redhat.181021/
Relevancy 101.05%

Had win and XP working on dual boot with easyBCD for months Then had to wipe another drive so removed all connections in PC and wiped totally unrelated drive linked everything back up again and now windows won't boot up and the boot menu has gone I have three hard drives - Windows anymore 7 boot - booting XP partition dual Win and 7 not one backup one for XP and one with three partitions including win When i set the BIOS boot order to the XP drive it boots up ok when i set the order to win drive it gets to 'verifying dmi pool data' then asks for a boot cd I have rebuilt the MBR using partition wizard As you can see the XP drive is active and primary I cannot seem to set the win disk to be primary or active It also tells me Windows 7 and XP dual boot - Win 7 partition not booting anymore it cannot find a windows installation on the drive even though it is loaded onto E I have tried loading the win dvd and running the start repair several times but it does nothing I don't get what happened as all i did was remove all the hard drive connections then connect them back up a few hours later Any ideas I have spent four hours on it already and need help before i smash the thing up

A:Windows 7 and XP dual boot - Win 7 partition not booting anymore

fixed it! woohoo

this worked for me....

go here Visual BCD Editor - Windows 7/Vista
and get the VBCDE and follow instructions here Dual-boot Repair Windows 7/Vista
for automatic repair.

fixed my setup in half a second. machine booted back into windows 7 directly, then used easyBCD to add the winXP option to the boot menu and back in business. Both XP and Win7 on boot menu and both working fine. Woohooo!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/222044-windows-7-xp-dual-boot-win-7-partition-not-booting-anymore.html
Relevancy 101.05%

Hi ,       I just bought a new ideapad 500 am trying to install ubuntu 16.04 Lts alongside preloaded windows 10. I have  tried various options like disabling secure boot / fast boot / fast start up the USB boot just doesn't seem to work , when I try to boot through UEFI firm ware settings -> efi USB boot I get an error message ' USB boot option Not available' . Please suggest if I can achieve Dual boot ability on my ideapad

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/Dual-boot-windows-10-with-ubuntu-Linux-on-ideapad-500/td-p/3445982
Relevancy 101.05%

G'day I've setup a dual-boot Windows LinuxMint on a single hard disk My plan was to use Macrium to image this setup For the Windows partition this isn't a problem For the Linux partition however I'm unsure whether a restore of dual-boot Macrium using Windows/Linux imaging an image of this partition would work because of my lack of understanding of the relationship between the Windows and GRUB Windows/Linux dual-boot imaging using Macrium bootloaders - let me explain Windows/Linux dual-boot imaging using Macrium further After the initial Windows installation I Windows/Linux dual-boot imaging using Macrium used EasyBCD to copy the bootloader to the C partition allowing me to remove the MB System Reserved partition I then installed LinuxMint and again used EasyBCD to add the LinuxMint boot entry I again used the 'Write MBR' function under the BCD Deployment option in EasyBCD to ensure the Windows bootloader appears first at bootup This allows me to select the LinuxMint entry which in turn chainloads the GRUB bootloader which eventually loads LinuxMint This works perfectly My question is does the GRUB bootloader reside on the Linux partition or does it reside on the Windows partition by virtue of the EasyBCD manipulation I have done If its the former than using Macrium to image just the LinuxMint partition will work for me Can anyone confirm this Should I also image the Linux Swap partition as part of the LinuxMint partition image Thanks Golden

A:Windows/Linux dual-boot imaging using Macrium

OK. I guess there is only one way to find out then.....bombs away!

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/244372-windows-linux-dual-boot-imaging-using-macrium.html
Relevancy 101.05%

Hey everybody I'm new here as you can tell I just had a question about uninstalling Linux too dual boot Windows with Windows instead I understand how to delete it I am just having issues as when Linux installed it didn't name the partition so I'm not sure if I can delete both of the partitions that aren't Windows I'm not sure why there are on there I will attach a screen cap so you know what I am referring too What I would like to do is delete Linux I don't use it anymore and stretch the partition back to my C Drive then install Windows Would it be easier to skip the stretching of Windows and just install Windows in the Linux spot I'm sorry for all the questions and thank you in advance if you can help me Here is a photo of what I was talking about - To be honest I'm not even sure which is Windows I'm just assuming it's C Thank you in advance for any help

A:Dual Boot Question/Delete Linux for Windows 8

I would prefer to format your HDD and start over.

Format C:, create two extended partions as logical drivers. Install Windows 7 on your machine C: and Windows 8 on one of the local drivers (leavin the 3rd for data). This way you can delete Windows 8 or if there is a need to remove it (and there will be a time so do so) you can do it without touching your Win 7 install.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/2892-dual-boot-question-delete-linux-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 101.05%

I have hard drives on my tower one gb for data one with gb for Windows and lastly I have one with gb for Windows XP I had installed XP before I installed After installing whenever I powered the machine it would allow me to choose between quot Windows quot or quot an older version of windows quot XP Perhaps I was not careful 7 when linux) Windows with MBR not booting found (Dual-boot nor did I do enough MBR not found when booting Windows 7 (Dual-boot with linux) research when I installed but I assumed the hdd with XP would keep its MBR with only one option and a new MBR would be installed on the gb hdd allowing me to choose between both Now taking this in consideration and as I had stopped using XP completely I thought it would be harmless to format the gb hdd I wanted to install Linux So I installed Ubuntu bit on the gb assuming that grub would be installed there with an entry for Windows the MBR installed on the gb hdd Things did not go as I'd expect Not only did grub not display any Windows entry whenever I set MBR not found when booting Windows 7 (Dual-boot with linux) the gb as first boot hdd I get an error saying no MBR was found Believing that for some reason the MBR in the gb was damaged or maybe it never existed perhaps what really happened was that the gb XP MBR was edited during install I inserted the Windows bit dvd accessed repair dos and ran repair commands I found on the web not MBR not found when booting Windows 7 (Dual-boot with linux) blindly of course More specifically quot bootsect nt D quot MBR - Restore Windows Master Boot Record where D was the label shown for the gb hdd when I ran quot list volume quot in diskpart Unfortunately this did not help as the same error is still being presented The data is there though and in Ubuntu I can access it and I can even detect the existence of Windows install using a script in the terminal there Appreciate any insight

A:MBR not found when booting Windows 7 (Dual-boot with linux)

Try this:

Startup Repair
Note: You may need to do startup repair 3 to 4 times.

Use EasyBCD 2.0 in Win 7 & Win XP.
EasyBCD 2.0 Beta Builds - The NeoSmart Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/96893-mbr-not-found-when-booting-windows-7-dual-boot-linux.html
Relevancy 101.05%

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2005/09/09/windows_in_your_pocket/ is windows on a flash drive.

phlak littleboy is linux on a flash drive.

any way to dual boot them?

Relevancy 101.05%

Hey guys;

I have installed Windows XP and Fedora Core 5 linux as dual boot. I use both of them and they both work fine. However, I have given Linux too much disk space, like 15GB, which I believe is way too much, besides I need some extra space for my windows xp. I have tried Partition magic but it can't work with "ext3" partitions. I tried to uninstall Fodora, but when I did, windows xp won't load because it was using the BootLoader by Fedora (which was removed). So I had to install fedora again on 15GB partition. I want to keep Fedora but with less disk space (or partition). How to deal with this problem?

Is there a way to resize "ext3" partition? or Is there a way to uninstall fedora and make my windows XP load up? How to deal with it?

thank you.
bye.

A:Fedora Core 5 linux & windows XP dual boot

You probably have an ancient version of Partition Magic. Try something newer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fedora-core-5-linux-windows-xp-dual-boot.56869/
Relevancy 101.05%

On boot I have two menus The first has options for Windows XP Pro and various Linux distros If you choose Win the second menu allows you Boot) Recovery Windows Fails (Win/Linux Dual to choose Windows or DriveClone disc partition back up and recovery software Virus attack in Windows Recovered Windows partition NTFS C from DriveClone back up Later I had another virus attack Decided to increase Windows partition size using Partition Magic since I was going to have to recover anyway Increased it from GB to GB using the first Linux Xandros partition that I wasn't using any more This worked Everything seemed Windows Recovery Fails (Win/Linux Dual Boot) to be fine Recovered from back up again Used the same back up as before since I did not do another one after changing the partition size When the back up was complete and I rebooted I got to my first menu OK When I selected Windows all I got was a blank screen with a blinking cursor I did not get to the second menu I can get into Linux Any ideas about how to get my second menu back Any ideas about how to recover my Windows Recovery Fails (Win/Linux Dual Boot) primary Windows partition Sorry for the lengthy explanation and thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-recovery-fails-win-linux-dual-boot-400499.html
Relevancy 99.76%

Hello I know just enough about computers to get myself in trouble I had a GB Hard drive that was getting kind of crowded it was my sole hard drive I had XP on it and as I had no problems with it I was content to stick with it I bought a gb hard drive and not 7 detecting system boot anymore failure, Windows Dual as my fiancee had bought me an upgrade to Vista and then I put Windows on the new drive and left XP Dual boot system failure, not detecting Windows 7 anymore on the old The old drive the GB already had C taken so I named the new one G So everything was working fine and if I wanted to switch OS's I'd just reboot and choose the one I wanted Sadly my C drive just died I was like quot bummer I'll pop it out and just worth the windows one now quot However on start up I'm getting a bad boot file message and to put the install system disk in I do that and choose the restore option but its not showing that I have any previous versions of windows on it When I do the repair option it says it was fixing a partition error I can see the windows files when I use the command prompt and still see that windows is there under the G drive My question is does windows now think my G drive is supposed to be C Is that why it wont boot properly I mean it seems to be looking for windows to be under the C drive but its actually under G if that makes sense If so I found an article on how to change the drive letters via regedit at the command prompt Or do you think my hard drive is just hosed and that I need to reformat Thanks for looking and any help at all would be greatly appreciated Sorry I dont have specific info I'm not near the malfunctioning computer at the moment Oh I did go into the bios and check the settings in there It does recognize the drive and the fact that the older gb is no longer there Sorry if this is noobish

A:Dual boot system failure, not detecting Windows 7 anymore

Quote: Originally Posted by Vinbot1

Hello,

I know just enough about computers to get myself in trouble. I had a 160GB Hard drive that was getting kind of crowded, it was my sole hard drive. I had XP on it and as I had no problems with it, I was content to stick with it. I bought a 500gb hard drive and as my fiancee had bought me an upgrade to Vista and then 7, I put Windows 7 on the new drive and left XP on the old. The old drive (the 160GB) already had C: taken so I named the new one G:.

So, everything was working fine and if I wanted to switch OS's I'd just reboot and choose the one I wanted. Sadly my C: drive just died. I was like ".. bummer. I'll pop it out and just worth the windows 7 one now." However on start up I'm getting a bad boot file message and to put the install/system disk in. I do that and choose the restore option but its not showing that I have any previous versions of windows on it! When I do the repair option it says it was fixing a partition error. I can see the windows files when I use the command prompt and still see that windows is there under the G: drive.

My question is; does windows now think my G: drive is supposed to be C ? Is that why it wont boot properly? If so I found an article on how to change the drive letters via regedit. Or do you think my hard drive is just hosed?

Thanks for looking and any help at all would be greatly appreciated!! Sorry I dont have specific info, I'm not near the malfunctioning computer at the moment. Oh, I did go into the bios and check the settings in there. It does recognize the drive.

When you dual boot win 7 it puts the boot files into a hidden 100 (in win 7, 350 in win 8) Mb folder on the original OS drive.

So when you install win 7 it added that folder to the XP drive. When the drive failed the folder cant be found.

Thats the reason it works with the win 7 dvd in the drive.

You should be able to use the win 7 dvd to repair the current HD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/193635-dual-boot-system-failure-not-detecting-windows-7-anymore.html
Relevancy 99.76%

I had Fadora Core (I think it was that one) installed on my computer alongside Windows XP, but I recently reinstalled XP and now I can't access Linux because my multi boot menu is gone. How can I fix this? I know that Linux is still installed because Partition Magic shows me all the partitions. Please Help

-Daniel

A:System was set up for dual boot but I reistalled Windows and can't access linux now

When you install Windows, it overwrites your master boot record, whether you want it to or not. Unfortunately, this is where the boot menu is located in which you select which operating system you would like to boot.

In order to get it back, boot up with you Fedora CD in the drive. I'm not too familiar with the Fedora install process, but if it's like most other distributions I've used, you should be able to skip past most of the install process to the point where it installs the boot loader (I believe the default for Fedora is Grub, although it is possible that you chose to use LILO when you initially installed it.. If you used to get a full screen, probably graphical, menu then it is definately grub).

Alternatively, if you can break out to a command line from the install CD (either by selecting a rescue mode at boot or by pressing CTRL-ALT F1 (or F2, F3, etc) once the installer is loaded, you can manually install grub by doing the following:

Type 'grub' at the command prompt.

At the 'grub>' prompt type 'root (hd0,0)' ***
At the next 'grub>' prompt type 'setup (hd0)'
Finally, type 'quit', and reboot, make sure you take the CD out of the drive.

*** hd0,0 assumes that you are installing onto the master drive on the primary IDE controller.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Ken

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-was-set-up-for-dual-boot-but-i-reistalled-windows-and-cant-access-linux-now.401224/
Relevancy 99.33%

I Dual Win Ubuntu 7 borked. boot 12.04 / am a new member of this forum and a Windows user for the first time in ten years Win Dual boot Win 7 / Ubuntu 12.04 borked. K I have been running my Windows install for two weeks on my home built desktop box When I originally installed Win I erased my Linux system and let the Windows installer choose which of my two internal drives to install on The install went fine but after two weeks I started missing Linux Yesterday I installed the latest version of Ubuntu This formats the drive in Linux dev sda - I don't know what that would be in Windows and installs the Linux Grub boot loader However Grub is unable to find a Win installation that it can add to the boot loader I assume that either the Win boot loader files were deleted or the quot secret quot partition was erased or both I have a post here that has been trying to address the problem mainly from the Linux side but as can be seen I also refer to what I have done to try to repair the Win boot loader The problem is that I have basically been asking Linux users to help me with a Win problem Anyone out there that can help me sort this out so that I can use both Linux and Windows

A:Dual boot Win 7 / Ubuntu 12.04 borked.

Hi,

Download and use the free version of EasyBCD to add the Ubuntu entry so it chainloads from the Windows bootloader. Refer to this guide:

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Ubuntu

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/251460-dual-boot-win-7-ubuntu-12-04-borked.html
Relevancy 98.9%

So for some time now I have had intermittent network issue while booted into Windows ping my gateway router fine ping dns names like www google co uk www unixmen com and www microsoft com all work fine Ping my ISP DNS servers fine however if I attempt web browsing or application updates all fail with no internet access I have tried ethernet and wireless both results are the same across two ISP providers Virgin and BT If I reboot to Linux and attempt all above I have no issues at all so this is a Windows issue for sure HISTORY I have attempted to investigate this myself and had limited success with Dr Web Cureit which reported probably DFH HOST corrupted but I believed this to be a false positive due to my modification of my host file to limit Windows call home etc Note All has been working fine regardless of host mods Anyway I allowed Dr Web works Linux - Windows boot odd dual network fine 10 issue Cureit to fix rebooted and low and behold all worked ok this is no longer the case So I am struggling to identify the cause of this issue and would very much appreciate your help here please All efforts to correct this myself are now stopped Regards Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST x Version - - Ran by Charlie administrator on CHARLIE-PC - - Running from N Loaded Profiles Charlie Available Profiles Charlie amp DefaultAppPool Platform Windows Pro X Language English United Windows 10 odd network issue - Linux dual boot works fine Kingdom Internet Explorer Version Default browser Chrome Boot Mode Normal Tutorial for Farbar Recovery Scan Tool http www geekstogo com forum topic -frst-tutorial-how-to-use-farbar-recovery-scan-tool Processes Whitelisted If an entry is included in the fixlist the process will be closed The file will not be moved NVIDIA Corporation C Windows System nvvsvc exe NVIDIA Corporation C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation Display nvxdsync exe NVIDIA Corporation C Windows System nvvsvc exe QIHU SOFTWARE CO LIMITED C Program Files x Total Security safemon QHActiveDefense exe Sphinx Software C Program Files Windows FirewallControl Windows FirewallService exe CSIS Security Group C Program Files x Heimdal Service HeimdalAgentService exe Microsoft C Program Files x Heimdal HeimdalSecureDNS DNSService exe Malwarebytes Corporation C Program Files x Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamscheduler exe SecureMix LLC C Program Files x GlassWire GWCtlSrv exe Malwarebytes Corporation C Program Files x Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamservice exe Microsoft Corporation C Windows System mqsvc exe Qihu Software Co Limited C Program Files x Total Security safemon QHWatchdog exe Microsoft Corporation C Program Files Microsoft SQL Server MSSQL VEEAMSQL MSSQL Binn sqlservr exe Microsoft Corporation C Windows Microsoft NET Framework v SMSvcHost exe NVIDIA Corporation C Program Files x NVIDIA Corporation NetService NvNetworkService exe C Program Files x Razer Razer Services GSS GameScannerService exe C Program Files Reason Security Protection rscp bin rscp svc exe Reason Software Company Inc C Program Files Reason Security rsEngineSvc exe Microsoft Corporation C Windows Microsoft NET Framework v SMSvcHost exe Safer-Networking Ltd C Program Files x Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDFSSvc exe Safer-Networking Ltd C Program Files x Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDUpdSvc exe Safer-Networking Ltd C Program Files x Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDWSCSvc exe Microsoft Corporation C Program Files Microsoft SQL Server Shared sqlwriter exe Microsoft Corporation C Program Files x Microsoft SQL Server Shared sqlbrowser exe GlavSoft LLC C Program Files TightVNC tvnserver exe Company C Program Files x Popcorn Time Updater exe Malwarebytes Corporation C Program Files x Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbam exe Microsoft Corporation C Windows SystemApps ShellExperienceHost cw n h txyewy ShellExperienceHost exe Microsoft Corporation C Windows SystemApps Microsoft Windows Cortana cw n h txyewy SearchUI exe C Program Files Reason Security Protection rscp bin rscp bg exe NVI... Read more

A:Windows 10 odd network issue - Linux dual boot works fine

Dear All,

Please do not look into this suspected infection it turned out to be a corrupt .ddl file for my firewall Glasswire that was causing what looked like an infection.

Thanks to FRST tool and viewing the Additional.txt it was starring me right in the eye.

Mods please close

Regards
Kevin

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/589782/windows-10-odd-network-issue-linux-dual-boot-works-fine/
Relevancy 98.9%

Hello I own an HP Envy notebook K -NL and have considerable difficulty installing Linux Ubuntu and Linux Mint in dual-boot and triple-boot Both with Secure Boot enabled or disabled either enabled or disabled legacy both with fast boot enabled or disabled and also with the default boot from internal CD DVD ROM it is Boot K112-NL Envy 15 Dual Windows HP 8.1/Linux Ubuntu-Mint impossible to install Linux alongside Windows I managed for a moment to start the Linux Mint DVD but it is planted to the first screen Dual Boot Windows 8.1/Linux Ubuntu-Mint HP Envy 15 K112-NL I think just by reading other forums that HP does everything to not allow this operation Dual Boot Windows 8.1/Linux Ubuntu-Mint HP Envy 15 K112-NL Has anyone had the same problem If yes how he solved it Thank you Google Translation nbsp Original post Italian Buongiorno posseggo un notebook HP Envy K -NL e ho notevoli difficolt ad installare Linux Ubuntu e Linux Mint in dual-boot e triple-boot Sia con Secure boot abilitato o disabilitato sia con legacy abilitato o disabilitato sia con fast boot abilitato o disabilitato e inoltre con l'avvio predefinito da internal CD DVD ROM impossibile installare Linux accanto a Windows Sono riuscito un attimo a far partire il DVD di Linux Mint ma si piantato alla prima schermata Penso proprio leggendo altri forum che HP faccia di tutto per non permettere questa operazione Qualcuno ha avuto il mio stesso problema Se s come lo ha risolto Grazie

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Dual-Boot-Windows-8-1-Linux-Ubuntu-Mint-HP-Envy-15-K112-NL/td-p/5769022
Relevancy 95.89%

Ok I'll try and be clear and & now nightmare: flashed XP boot-up 7, borked: BIOS, is Dual-booting succinct but I APOLOGIZE in advance for the super length here Here's the essential quot backstory quot of what was is going on and where Dual-booting nightmare: XP & 7, flashed BIOS, now boot-up is borked: I am right now Had an XP machine for years two months ago I bought and added in another HD At Dual-booting nightmare: XP & 7, flashed BIOS, now boot-up is borked: reboot I put in my Win Ultimate disc and installed to the new HD so I've been dual-booting for months now with the classic black amp white dual-boot screen at startup quot Which operating system do you want to use Older version of Windows Windows quot So I've been gaming exclusively on the HD playing SupCom via Steam In one week it BSOD'd four times so I sent my minidumps to another forum and I was told the crashes were due to two things video driver and hardware So I un re-installed the video driver and then using the Asus AutoUpdate I have an AMD cpu ASUS mobo I flashed my BIOS to the latest Win was totally fine and I believe it Dual-booting nightmare: XP & 7, flashed BIOS, now boot-up is borked: fixed all the errors played my game and turned if off The next morning I needed some files on XP and that's when I saw the crap had hit the fan I chose quot earlier version of Windows quot and it simply BSOD immediatley and I've not been able to get back in since So of course I tried to fix it on my own I searched online and the first thing I did was put the XP disc in and hit R for Repair right away this brought me to the black and white screen The problem was it showed that I had two HD's and it listed them just like this C WINDOWS D Windows I chose C totally assuming it was my XP HD Then at the C COMMAND gt line I typed in quot FIXBOOT quot minus the quotes as that was what I read Well that really seemed to bork things up After reboot instead of getting the quot Which OS do you want quot choice screen I only got the quot Windows cannot boot do you want Safe Mode Safe Mode w Networking quot etc etc screen So I then unplugged my HD put in the XP disc again tried to Repair Reinstall over the XP and that didn't work either So finally I plugged my HD back in put in the Win disc booted from DVD and yes both my HD's are where they should be in BIOS XP is SATA and is SATA and did the Win Repair Startup option That got me right back into Win as if there was never a problem at all This was yesterday morning So I then spent the entire day migrating my backed up XP data from an external HD onto my HD and putting it all in the correct folders and then backing all that up again to the same external HD to be super safe haha and then last evening I finally needed to re-boot And that brings me to my current problem state of affairs At reboot or normal boot-up I now come to a black and white screen with roughly the words quot Boot error please insert disc and hit Enter quot So essentially it again does not bring me to the quot which OS do you want screen quot just this new screen So I put in the Win disc and did a hard reboot As expected after reboot the next words to come up were quot Hit any key to boot from CD or DVD quot but to test things I hit NO KEY I let it pass Guess what The two choices screen came up quot Earlier version of Windows or Windows quot Very perplexed I chose Win and it boots up no problem So to test it out again I took out the DVD and rebooted Wham same problem black and white screen quot Boot error please insert disc and hit Enter quot So I did but this time I DID hit a key went into setup and tried the quot Win repair startup quot option and rebooted w out the disc and tried it again again SAME quot boot error quot message But when I put the Win disc in hard reboot let it come back up display the quot Hit any key to boot from DVD quot and I SKIP THIS hitting no key it then goes to the quot correct quot screen of offering me two choices I hit Win eve... Read more

A:Dual-booting nightmare: XP & 7, flashed BIOS, now boot-up is borked:

Are your Win7 boot files on the Win XP HD or Win7 HD?

Attachment 79134

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/91758-dual-booting-nightmare-xp-7-flashed-bios-now-boot-up-borked.html
Relevancy 93.31%

Hi,
Not an expert. Tried a lot of things trying to make my laptop dual boot Win and Lin. UEFI doesnt work anymore (no boot options available), I have AHCI off, use legacy boot option, secure boot off.
Installing Ubuntu gives fatal error installing Grub.
If I run the Startup repair from the W10 DVD it sais it cant repair.
So there seems to be something wrong with the boot sector?
Now I can only install W10, before I could install Linux but even that doesn't work anymore due to the bootloader error. Before it installed but had different problems with the bootloader. Either it wouldnt show up (and started W10) or it just restarted after choosing W10, only Linux would boot.
Tried to delete all partitions with Gparted from live usb but no result.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19990545
Relevancy 93.31%

I have a dual boot system (2 hard drives) booting Suse and XP and boot up through Suse's built in boot manager which gives me the option of booting to Windows or Linux.

But since I barely ever use Linux I want to delete it off the 2nd drive so I can use it for a storage drive, so I'm wondering how to replace the Windows Master Boot Record so I can just boot into my XP drive. I'm scared that once I delete/reformat the contents of the 2nd hard drive (I'll probably use Partition Magic to do this through my XP drive) that I won't be able to boot XP up anymore. So before I do anything I want to just be able to boot into XP and bypass the linux drive before I delete it to make sure everything is ok.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks.

A:Want to replace Master Boot Record on dual boot system & delete Linux drive

Yeah, if you toast linux then it won't boot up. I had that problem when I used Fedora and got rid of it. Boot from your XP disk and go to the repair console. You can use commands in there to make a new mbr. I can remember the exact command. I think you can type help and that will give you a list of available commands. I think it is "fixboot" or "fixmbr" but I can't remember the exact command.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/want-to-replace-master-boot-record-on-dual-boot-system-delete-linux-drive.448404/
Relevancy 92.02%

Hey all I had a problem in my dell laptop which dual boot system XP and Linux I did use the BOOTMAGIC and Boot Magic boot and linux) (XP problem dual it works fine untill last week It didnot able to boot and gave me an error message dual boot problem (XP and linux) Boot Magic missing BOOTMaGIC IMG and dual boot problem (XP and linux) Boot Magic it turns out to be dual boot problem (XP and linux) Boot Magic boot in DE DELL utility programs over over again nver let me back to ntfs window xp I donot have BOOTMAGIC now with me too so doesnot know how to reinstall that As far as I know my system is not corrupted may be one or two files may be I have more valuable data and dont know have any external hard disk to back up I want to know how can I set the boot to ntfs and recover the system without losing datas I am not very good in windows adminstration either I did tried BART PE to boot in XP but didnot help I could not able to see all the files in ntfs and it show me the file in FAT not in ntfs I dont have floppy drive for boot from floppy either just CD drive I really appreciate any suggestion from the experts here thanks a lot any help venkat nbsp

A:dual boot problem (XP and linux) Boot Magic

v2010 said:

Hey all,

I had a problem in my dell800 laptop , which dual boot system (XP and Linux), I did use the BOOTMAGIC and it works fine untill last week.

It didnot able to boot and gave me an error message missing BOOTMaGIC .IMG , and it turns out to be boot in DE (DELL utility) programs over over again, nver let me back to ntfs window xp.

I donot have BOOTMAGIC now with me too, so doesnot know how to reinstall that.

As far as I know my system is not corrupted , may be one or two files may be. I have more valuable data and dont know have any external hard disk to back up.

I want to know how can I set the boot to ntfs and recover the system without losing datas, I am not very good in windows adminstration either.

I did tried BART PE to boot in XP , but didnot help , I could not able to see all the files in ntfs and it show me the file in FAT not in ntfs.

I dont have floppy drive for boot from floppy either, just CD drive.

I really appreciate any suggestion from the experts here.

thanks a lot....

any help ?
venkatClick to expand...

Hi v2010,

Welcome to TSG!

If you know whether the dual-boot scheme is implemented with the Grub boot loader there may be a way with a Linux Live CD (e.g. Ubuntu or Knoppix - do you know? Also, is the dual-boot scheme implemented on one or two disks.

The technique would be to boot up with the Live CD, let's say Ubuntu, and then use the System Administration pull-down menu selecting Disks to bring up the Disk manager. The idea would be to locate the grub.conf file in the /boot partition and edit it from the Ubuntu OS running totally in memory to have a line like: default=0
But, first the Disk manager would be brought up to identify the device name of the disk, e.g. /dev/sda1 or something like that. Then you would need to mount the ntfs disk onto Ubuntu running in memory to access the /boot partition on the disk to do the edit to the grub.conf file from the root account. In Ubuntu, the way to become root account is to issue the command: sudo -i

Let us know if you have a Grub boot loader - which initializes a boot selection screen to select which OS to boot up.

-- Tom

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-problem-xp-and-linux-boot-magic.557066/
Relevancy 90.3%

I have a dual boot installation with Windows XP and Windows 7 on the same drive with two partitions. Both work just fine.

However most times that I boot from a cold boot, I get NO Boot options menu, just a blank screen and the hard drive light glows red, but it doesn't really seem to be doing anything.

If I press the reset switch, everything works just fine, the computer reboots, I get a boot options menu for selecting the operating system and either one boots up just fine.

If I shutdown the machine for any period of time, I'll get the blank screen until I do a hard reset.

It seems like the boot loader is not finding the ini file with the options, but only on a cold boot? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

A:Windows 7 Dual Boot No Boot Options Menu on Cold Boot

Long shot, but could it possibly be a dead CMOS battery?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-dual-boot-no-boot-options-menu-on-cold-boot.897053/
Relevancy 90.3%

Hi I have done a boot but linux problem installation to no windows fresh of with boot fails full installation from an original disk while keeping one partition of old data I have tried both a and a editions from an earlier computer I had Both went OK but when the computer reboot after the first phase of the configuration they fresh installation of windows fails to boot but linux boot with no problem both failed to boot after the POST phase I have tried to install Ubuntu and it booted successfully and also showed me the option of starting the windows installation which again failed to boot I have DELL laptop Inspiron and using its diagnostic tools it showed that all components are OK I am interested to know if it is possible that the problem is due to bad cd drive as it is making some noises bad memory as I had installed by mistake wrong memory and fixed this once I understoof it is causing some problems bad harddisk although I had no indication so far there is some problem with it I wanted to ask then why linux installed with no problem and to finish this query I have noticed it is possible to install from a USB stick to bypass problem but I dont have windows osx and ubuntu only is there a way to create a bootable windows installation USB stick using a mac or linux Thanks and best regards Tomer

A:fresh installation of windows fails to boot but linux boot with no problem

Your confusing to say the least.
The correct way to dual boot Window/Linux is to Install Windows 1st(Always) using all the drive. Then install Linux. All Linux versions will install a Boot manager so as you can then select whichever OS you desire. There are other ways but for someone like you that is the easiest.
Linux will install to a drive that Windows won't, Windows is very particular as to the disk surface, any little fault and it will refuse to install.
May I suggest you look at Puppy Linux 4.1. very, very fast and great for Wireless.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/fresh-installation-of-windows-fails-to-boot-but-linux-boot-with-no-problem-320711.html
Relevancy 90.3%

I"m in the process of resurrecting an old Dell XPS 5th GEN. I installed a new hard drive with windows 7 on it but couldn't get it to boot. It froze just after Windows is starting came on the screen. I removed the hard drive from a working computer that has a dual boot, Win 7 and Linux. The Dell still won't boot Windows, it freezes just after announces Windows is starting. I restarted it and tried booting to Linux and it boots Linux just fine. I installed the new drive I bought for the Dell on my other machine and it boots Windows 7 just fine. Both computers are 64 bit and so are the operating systems. Any ideas or suggestions? Thank You.

A:win 7 dual boot with linux win 7 wont boot

What size is the hard drive ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/322117-win-7-dual-boot-linux-win-7-wont-boot.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Hello I am studying for my A certification and I wanted to try to install Recovery Console on my PC I set the CMOS boot order to first boot from Windows Can't boot anymore Possibly overwrote into Boot.ini, the CD ROM drive I put my Possibly overwrote Boot.ini, Can't boot into Windows anymore XP Professional installation CD in and restarted the computer Once the XP setup program started running it looked like it was copying files which scared me because I thought it would ask me before it did anything So then eventually it got to a menu screen and I decided to press F and quit the setup without installing Recovery Console I went back into CMOS and reset the boot order to boot from the hard disk drive again then saved and exited However now it won't let me boot into Windows anymore but rather prompts me to insert a bootable floppy or CD-ROM which is obviously not what I want I think I may have erased or copied over Boot ini and possibly other files I want to go back to my previous settings before any of this occurred and I need to keep all of my previous data settings programs etc in other words I don't want anything erased or changed at all I'm hoping somebody can provide me step-by-step instructions on how to do this I would greatly appreciate any help I am using Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP I built the PC myself it is not a store bought PC

A:Possibly overwrote Boot.ini, Can't boot into Windows anymore

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Re: "When you are prompted, type the Administrator password."

Unless you have set a password, there is probably not one, so just press Enter key.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/possibly-overwrote-boot-ini-cant-boot-into-windows-anymore-397957.html
Relevancy 87.29%

I had windows originally Installed on my Laptop I then Installed Ubuntu Desktop version and it installed the grub boot loader All on single HD each OS is on its own partition This Cant boot loader windows, Linux taken Boot over has boot loader was used to dual boot between windows and Linux However now the grub boot loader Cant Boot windows, Linux boot loader has taken over is broken and I was talking to some people how knew about Ubuntu and they said to just delete its partition which I did Now when I boot from my HD I just get a broken grub boot loader and can t get even get into my Win Now I just want to get ride of this Grub boot loader and get Windows MBR back I have booted from my windows recovery disc and have done Startup Repair It found no problems but HD still only boots to broken grub boot loader System Restore I restored to before I was having this problem but HD still only boots to broken grub boot loader I am trying to figure out what commands to enter in the command prompt to repair the MBR or maybe just view what partitions are in my computer and then completely delete the one with Grub on it If I type bcdedit I get this Windows Boot Manager Identifier bootmgr Device partition C Description Windows Boot Manager Inherit globalsettings Default default Displayorder default Windows Boot Loader Identifier default Device partition D Path Windows system winload exe Description Windows Inherit bootsequencesettings Recoveryenabled yes Osdevice partition D Systemroot windows Nx OptIn According to this everything looks fine The C partition is that MB system reserved boot partition that windows creates and the D partition is a GB partition that I created on the HardDrive that windows was installed to I don t understand why the windows boot loader will not boot somehow the grub boot loader is still over riding it even though I deleted the partition that ubuntu was installed on and where the grub should have been installed as well From the command prompt if I use diskpart there are only partitions a MB one and a GB one Those are C and D respectively so I am not sure how the grub is still loading unless it installed itself to a NTFS partition if that is even possible Does anyone know what commands I can try to repair or recreate the MBR so that windows will load or maybe commands to delete this Grub boot loader

A:Cant Boot windows, Linux boot loader has taken over

Try this

Boot the recovery DVD and choose to drop to a command prompt

>FIXBOOT D:
>FIXMBR
>BOOTCFG /rebuild

I hope that helps

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/38320-cant-boot-windows-linux-boot-loader-has-taken-over.html
Relevancy 87.29%

A coworker of mine asked me to fix his computer It is a Toshiba L -S laptop that has Windows Home Premium -bit installed His problem is that when you go boot fine but usb/cd can Windows Linux Cannot boot 7 to boot it never gets past the Windows is starting up screen When I go to repair a failed Cannot boot Windows 7 usb/cd but can boot Linux fine boot it gets to a black screen with a working mouse pointer The recovery partition boot gets the same black screen with mouse pointer So I decided to try a repair boot from a Windows install DVD also tried a usb Here too it gets to a black screen with a mouse pointer and then nothing more I booted both the Windows DVD and usb on another computer without any issues Now I got really curious so I booted from an Ubuntu usb that I had I ran memtest for hours without a problem Then I booted to the desktop without a problem I can mount and read the hard drive without any issues and I'm even typing this post from the linux usb I ran some hard drive and file system tests and everything seems fine There is one pending sector error but all the other smart tests were fine Though I don't think a bad hard drive would prevent a Windows install DVD from booting Any ideas what might be causing this

A:Cannot boot Windows 7 usb/cd but can boot Linux fine

You might try creating a small partition at the end of the drive with gparted.

See if that sorts it out.

Quote:
Though I don't think a bad hard drive would prevent a Windows install DVD from booting.

It can.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/298714-cannot-boot-windows-7-usb-cd-but-can-boot-linux-fine.html
Relevancy 87.29%

My pc specs win7 dual boot +BSOD managemen win7/win10 wont "memory boot to anymore asus z -p motherboard intel i cpu bequiet w psu gig corsair vengeance ram samsung evo gig ssd win pro bit drive sandisk ultra II ssd gig ssd win drive dual boot win7/win10 wont boot to win7 anymore +BSOD "memory managemen x crucial gig bx ssd data drives i recently dual boot win7/win10 wont boot to win7 anymore +BSOD "memory managemen rebuilt this into a new case and it had been working fine Mainly using the win os but more recently using the win os more and more The way it has been working is that win is the default boot and I have to hit the delete key on startup to select win to boot from today I was on win but needed to reboot to Upon doing so I hit this message Secure Boot Violation The system found unauthorized changes on the firmware operating system or UEFI drivers It then gave me the option to boot to win as it is the next boot option on the list Win is now giving me the blue screen quot memory management error quot although I have been able to get into win after some more rebooting I ran SFC scanner and it told me that there were some problems that it cannot fix Everything is unplugged apart from mouse keyboard hdmi to screen and ethernet cable Unplugging the win drive from the mobo and switching the win drive to another port has not helped Has my ssd failed has win done an update that has caused this problem It did update today in fact the first error message I got was after win shut down and when I booted into it again it installed some updates before launching thanks for any help

http://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/47198-dual-boot-win7-win10-wont-boot-win7-anymore-bsod-memory-managemen.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Hey guys i installed windows and windows server in different partition I first installed windows and then installed windows server I dont know if that makes much of a difference However -----after installing - Dual boot Windows Server and pro loader 2008 7 boot Windows the server i could not see the windows in my boot loader so i had to turn the windows partition to active- to boot from windows seven -----It turned my server partition to logical and could not see the server os in boot loader So how would i add both of them in the boot loader so that i can select one of the two after i boot I Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader had to download acronis disk director to turn the logical drive to primary again So the question is how is it possible Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader to get both the boot OS in the boot loadter I don't want to do a dual boot through vhd just in case someone suggests me that screen shot of my disk Update i changed the windows server partion back Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader to active and tried to boot now it says bootmgr is missing

A:Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader

I don't know how marking Win7 Active to repair it so it would start would convert the Server partition to Logical. I've never heard of such a thing.

To add the missing OS, install EasyBCD to add it on the Add New Entry tab.

EasyBCD (free Download at bottom of page - no name or email required)

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/244854-dual-boot-windows-7-pro-windows-server-2008-boot-loader.html
Relevancy 87.29%

I am trying to dual boot with 2 different hard drives and 2 different systems. One is Vista x64 and the other is Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. After installing the hard drive with Windows 7 which came from a different computer, I used EasyBCD to configure the boot order. Windows vista still works, but when I want to switch to Windows 7 I get:

FILE \windows\system32\winload.exe
info: windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.

After some search I have found this old thread from this same forum. Here is the link: dual boot windows 7 and vista boot error winload.exe

The Op seems to have similar problem as me. I just don't get all the follow up instructions in the thread dealing with bootrec since I haven't encountered it before (I think...). Any thoughts?

A:Dual boot windows vista and windows 7 boot error winload.exe

The best way to Dual Boot OS's on separate HD's is to set the preferred OS HD as Primary HD and first HD to boot in BIOS setup, then when needed trigger the other using the one-time BIOS Boot Menu key.

If this is not desireable, then set Win7 HD as Primary HD and first HD to boot in BIOS setup, install easyBCD to Win7 to add XP.

Before doing this delete any EasyBCD listing for the other HD you've already made in Edit OS Menu tab.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/355211-dual-boot-windows-vista-windows-7-boot-error-winload-exe.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Hey guys I am boot Windows Windows dual 8 Black up. 8 installed, Screen! boot won't having an issue when installing the consumer preview So I downloaded the W iso off of Microsoft's site I burned it to a Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! DVD with GB free of storage I even bought a new set of DVDs Anyways I downloaded the iso I downloaded the USB DVD download tool there I burned my iso to the DVD So I then create a partition on my computer I gave the new partition GB of storage I rebooted my computer pressed F and access the burned DVD So I click custom installation and I install the new OS onto the partition with GB I named it the partition Windows so I wouldn't get confused I clicked it and installed Windows onto it Anyways once it extracts the data and installs all Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! the Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! updates my computer screen goes black for a few seconds Then it load's the fish icon and then goes black It loads nothing and it just stays there I have tried using the startup repair and it cannot fix it I decided to reinstall the OS but format the partition and then install It does the same exact thing Anyways how do I get rid of the black screen Windows won't boot up I allowed a dual boot by the way so I still have windows but I really want to try Windows I followed this guide if anyone was wondering

A:Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen!

I'm having similar issues with Vista and W8. I put W8 on an empty and freshly created partition.
I can get W8 to run but then on every restart or reboot I can not get back to Vista from the "blue dual boot screen". I select Vista as the OS, the laptop goes to the Acer splash screen and then the screen goes black and the HDD light goes off completely. And that's it. Have to do a forced shutdown holding power button and then on next reboot it will go to Vista.
Fortunately I have full Acronis disk images so I can just revert back to before all this but like you I really want to try W8.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/4556-windows-8-dual-boot-installed-windows-8-wont-boot-up-black-screen.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Hi all I am having some problems I am hoping I may be able to get some advice on I have a new laptop that came with Windows Vista Model is Toshiba Satellite A -S I have been trying to load Windows Repair boot Vista boot dual and and Windows XP MBR loader it with Windows XP because Windows Vista kind of sucks for my computing needs I am pretty sure a format and clean install will wreck my warranty hence the dual boot So far I have been able to partition and install XP SP- to a partition I ve booted into XP fine but my Vista partition is not available I think that the partition table or MBR has been corrupted So to repair Repair boot loader and MBR Windows XP and Windows Vista dual boot this what I did was boot up from the Vista recovery DVD and run the startup repair option to reload the bootloader for Vista and thus enable dual booting When I rebooted I got a black screen saying Invalid Partition Table or something to this effect I tried repairing the MBR and so on and so forth from the console on the recovery DVD but this proved to be Repair boot loader and MBR Windows XP and Windows Vista dual boot pretty much totally fruitless So I went through and did an install of Windows XP once again to my other drive partition I had created So I am basically where I started I need to know if somebody knows how I can repair the drives MBR or partition table to make it readable under Windows to at least pull my important files off of or to boot into Any ideas would be enormously appreciated Attached I will include a visual of what s up with my hard drive situation Thank you Jacob Also I will cross-reference this to a couple of forums I have posted to with no results as they may have some information I have forgotten to include http www geekstogo com forum Hard-Disc-MBR-Problems-New-Vista-Downgrade-t html These are some instructions I came across which more or less explain how I went about doing the install http www howtogeek com forum topic howto-windows-xp-install-on-a-vista-computer nbsp

A:Repair boot loader and MBR Windows XP and Windows Vista dual boot

bump

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/repair-boot-loader-and-mbr-windows-xp-and-windows-vista-dual-boot.666827/
Relevancy 87.29%

Hi all,

I followed some instructions to remove the Windows 8 Dual Boot by just deleting the Windows 8 Partition and that there was no need to edit the boot menu as everything will be done automatically after restart.

Now, when I tried to reboot my computer, the computer hangs at the screen where you are suppose to select to boot up Windows 7 or Windows 8.

As I had deleted Windows 8 Already, it should not prompt me to select to boot Windows 8 but rather directly boot into Windows 7.

How should I proceed from here ? I am currently installing Fedora Dual Boot on my laptop so hopefully I am able to do some salvaging from there....

Thanks in advance !

Warmest Regards,
Zeke

A:Windows 7 Crashes at Boot Manager after Deleting Windows 8 Dual Boot

Take a windows 7 installation DVD/USB thumbdrive, boot from it, select "I want to repair my computer" and then do a "startup repair".

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/294576-windows-7-crashes-boot-manager-after-deleting-windows-8-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 86.86%

I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the necessary drivers/software installed for the upgrade. However reinstalling 7 ruined my dual boot, I can no longer boot into the 10 tech preview... I was on build 10166, and I only have an ISO of 10162 which fails on startup repair... need suggestions on how to fix the bootloader to see both OS!

A:Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Originally Posted by Carsomyr

I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the necessary drivers/software installed for the upgrade. However reinstalling 7 ruined my dual boot, I can no longer boot into the 10 tech preview... I was on build 10166, and I only have an ISO of 10162 which fails on startup repair... need suggestions on how to fix the bootloader to see both OS!

This is a good MSDN topic:
Adding Boot Entries (Windows Drivers)

Read it and ask any questions, lots of members know this stuff and can help guide you if you need it.

Make sure you're reading the information on BCDedit - that's the tool for Win7 and higher.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/8155-reinstalling-windows-7-7-10-dual-boot-breaks-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 86.86%

Hello Everyone ,

i was wondering if anyone could help me in this matter :
i have windows7 and Redhat on my Laptop , i have removed and reinstalled the Windows7 last night and after that lost the Dual boot option , in fact the system is booting on windows7 and there is no option to chose linux ,

as far as i know , i should edit the msconfig file which i tried and couldn`t make it dual boot ,

Please check the attachment file ,

Thank you

A:dual boot , reinstall the windows and lost dual boot

Read this: Fixed Windows - But Now Grub is Gone?

Where to install ubuntu in my system?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/88580-dual-boot-reinstall-windows-lost-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 85.14%

Hi,

I had Windows 7 installed on my PC and I wanted to install Windows 8 in dual boot, so I bought a SSD and installed it and then proceeded to install Windows 8 on the SSD.

Now when I restart the computer, it just boots into Windows 8 without loading the boot manager where I can choose the OS.

Instead, the only way to get into Windows 7 is for me to press F12 and choose the other hard drive. I have attached a screenshot of Disk Management. Windows 7 is installed on Disk 0 (C) and Windows 8 is installed on Disk 1 (G).

How can I get the Windows 8 boot manager to show up?

Thanks!

A:Windows 7/Windows 8 Dual Boot - No Boot Manager Loads

Hello akishore, welcome to Eight Forums!

To most people you have the desired boot set-up, a BIOS managed dual-boot but if you want a Windows managed dual-boot the easiest way to achieve that is to use the Windows 7 installation DVD to do 3 separate startup repairs, have a look at the tutorial at the link below for the procedure and be sure to post back with updates.

Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/8805-windows-7-windows-8-dual-boot-no-boot-manager-loads.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Hi,
It has happened to me twice...I accidentally deleted a partition and later found out that my system is dead....The only way I recover out of that is I reinstall Windows and then install grub again to recover the Linux partition. But I feel the delete partition is a very rapid process just taking seconds and in that I don't think files would be deleted, so I feel potentially I can recover the deleted partitions including the boot partition. But I don't know how to do it. Also now when the boot partition is deleted and the system is not booting up what should be done to recover the system and data?
Thanks in advance,
-pkd

A:How to recover deleted grub/boot partition in Windows XP(Dual boot system))

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-recover-deleted-grub-boot-partition-in-windows-xp-dual-boot-system.871174/
Relevancy 84.71%

Hi a couple of months ago my system crashed windows wouldnt boot and I boot, help 7 wont Win disk doesnt boot, startup Ubuntu , windows dual misplaced my installation disk I had Win 7 , Ubuntu dual boot, windows wont boot, startup disk doesnt help the problems several times since obtaining the computer several years ago Lenovo IDeaPad y I attributed the problem to what I believed was a bad hard disk so I replaced it with a refurbished model I installed Ubungu and it worked well ever since I later located my win disk and created a dual boot Windows worked very well for several months until it stopped starting up last week It would get to the black windows screen where it says starting and usually get stuck there I would get fed up and turn it off after half an hour Once it was as the screen and it later started the checkdisk program and found no errors Another time it finally got into windows after a very long loading time and it seemed to work fine until the next time I restarted windows It just went back to the loading windows screen I formatted the windows partition through GParted in Ubuntu and tried the installation disk and it would get stuck at in the quot expanding files quot sequence After an hour of hoping something would happen I got fed up and forced it off again Not sure what to do from this point I have read other posts and it has led me to think that the issue could possibly be bad RAM or an issue with BIOS But Ubuntu has been working fine while Windows has simply been freezing at any attempt of a startup

A:Win 7 , Ubuntu dual boot, windows wont boot, startup disk doesnt help

It could be that the HDD has a bad sector in the Windows partition, or that the drive is actually failing. If there is a utility in Linux that tests memory, I would run it.

You could also use Memtest86+. It runs from a CD/DVD. Let it run for several passes to rule out bad RAM.

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/342483-win-7-ubuntu-dual-boot-windows-wont-boot-startup-disk-doesnt-help.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Hi,
I have a dual-boot system Ubuntu/Windows 7. The Master boot loader is GRUB.
It worked fine until yesterday when, for some reason, Windows 7 refused to load anymore. I tried to repair with chkdsk, found and repaired some disk errors, but now the boot loader is damaged. The problem I have is that after selecting Windows from the GRUB list I get the installed version entry but I can't have access to Repair through F8 and thus I am not able to continue on the installation DVD. The problem I think would be simple, by writing a new boot using bootrec, but I don't have access to the console.
I've seen a solution/tutorial on this forum except that it requires to remove Linux, which is not at all my scope.
Thanks

A:Recover Windows 7 boot on dual boot system with GRUB masterboot

Information
Boot up using the Startup Repair CD or Windows 7 DVD. (not the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disk) If you have a Netbook, you will need a CD/DVD drive.

NOTE: Make sure no USB drives are plugged in.
Do not use a USB Pendrive for Startup Repair.

1) Use the Rebuild BCD in this tutorial:
How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

2) Fix MBR.

NOTE: As you have Linux installed, the above only works for 1 in 1000, must likely you will need to reinstall.
Good luck.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/182909-recover-windows-7-boot-dual-boot-system-grub-masterboot.html
Relevancy 84.71%

My current windows installation is too bogged down to play games properly I've tried all the traditional solutions to speed up my PC but none of them made any noticeable difference no option install usb custom boot windows - 10 fails, Dual boot so I'd like to try a fresh OS I'd prefer to avoid doing a quot Reset My PC quot Dual boot windows 10 - usb boot fails, no custom install option option and having to re-install all my apps So I'm trying to install a second windows onto a new partition that will just be used for playing a couple games The media creation tool USB option doesn't work on my pc The USB gets ignored when I boot normally If I try to boot it directly from the boot menu I get a quot selected device failed to boot quot error with both windows and windows media creation tools I used a brand new USB drive and tried it immediately after installing the tool onto it I also tried re-installing the tool a second time I tried running the setup exe at the root of the USB drive which started properly However all the guides I've looked at say that I should get a quot custom install quot option when running this tool This is where I would have the option of selecting the partition I want to install windows to I don't get that option It just asks me for the basic language architecture fields then gives me the quot keep everything keep files remove everything quot options There are no options after that If i I click install the installation begins I tried using the windows setup exe on the USB but it asks me for a product key My computer came with windows but I don't have the product key anymore Is there any way to get a fresh windows installation without having to overwrite my current OS

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/67182-dual-boot-windows-10-usb-boot-fails-no-custom-install-option.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Hi all I have a dual boot vista kbuntu system I was using windows and was running low of space on my c drive so I thought to compress it Upon completion I re-booted my system to only be made aware og the error message that my Windows Boot Files were compressed and so windows could not be booted I have some questions relating to this issue for which any knowledgeable input would be greatly appreciated Why has Microsoft imposed no safety mechanism or warning upon compressing Windows in and Uncompressing Dual Boot Vista Kbuntu Files Boot the c drive if this is the result of the action Why can compressed boot files be booted This may be a stupid question but I would like to understand I have been reading on the web for possible solutions to this problem The most common seems to be to insert the original OS vista cd boot from it and click Uncompressing Windows Boot Files in Vista and Kbuntu Dual Boot repair I have my vista system set up perfect in terms of programs and data Will the repair operation preserve this state Using the CD method above is there any means to uncompress only the boot files and not the whole of the c drive so I can still achieve my original goal of space savings My system is dual boot I can stilll load Kbuntu and access my NTFS c drive on the kbuntu desktop Uncompressing Windows Boot Files in Vista and Kbuntu Dual Boot I can even see the specific windows boot files folder I am new to linux but tried to adopt a windows seasoned approach of right clicking the boot files folder and going into properties and looking for uncompress option there Suprise suprise no such option there But since my system is dual boot and I can see my windows boot file folder if there is a means to uncompress these files this way it would seem to be the easiest way of doing it Are there any know possible means by this approach If linux is not up to this job my next idea was to use a storage bridge and connect my hard drive to another computer running windows to uncompress If I try this method does it have to be another vista OS based Uncompressing Windows Boot Files in Vista and Kbuntu Dual Boot operating system or would other versions of windows work just as well e g XP and or x x bit OS systems Keen to learn so again any advice or suggestions relating to these queries much appreciated

A:Uncompressing Windows Boot Files in Vista and Kbuntu Dual Boot

It would be useful to know the exact mechanism you used to enact the compression, the extent of what you compressed, as well as the actual error message you now see when trying to boot into Windows.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/218772-uncompressing-windows-boot-files-vista-kbuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Just curious, but is there option for me to enable uefi boot of my Windows 10 Professional installation on my HP xw6600 dual quad core E5450 machine which holds two Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, one for Windows 10 and the other completely for Ubuntu LTS 16.04.When possible,  how to go about it. How do I enable this option. Yours truly, 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/enabling-secure-uefi-boot-Windows-10-dual-boot-with-ubuntu/td-p/5631758
Relevancy 84.71%

im trying to dual boot xp and rh9. after the install i get the loader and no matter which i pick it hangs. if i do lilo i get a boot: prompt. how do i get to the shell to edit the lilo.conf file. if you know email me at [email protected]

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/linux-xp-dual-boot-9510.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Hi - here s the situation HD boot Linux sep. on with Dual Computer originally had one HD C drive with Linux and NT on separate partitions Both were accessible via LILO which i dont know anything about except for seeing the LILO boot loader message I later added a second HD D drive with XP Since this time i cannot access Linux - the machine now loads using the boot ini on the C drive from there i can get to either NT or XP - i read about creating a linux bin file but cant get into linux i tried booting off the Red Hat CD version and using the Red Hat rescue mode to do so but wasnt able to create Dual boot with Linux on sep. HD anything valid with dd if dev hda of mnt floppy linux bin bs count there are no hda partitions in the dev directory - maybe because it was using what was on the linux CD not the hard drive Basically i d like to be able to add linux to the boot ini and have it work but am Dual boot with Linux on sep. HD stuck Any suggestions most appreciated i can re-install Linux to the D drive it has space but i dont want to risk losing access to XP and it seems this should work since Linux -was- there and working prior to Dual boot with Linux on sep. HD installing XP This is my first post here - if it would go better in the LINUX section please feel free to move it to there thanks much-- nbsp

A:Dual boot with Linux on sep. HD

Anytime I've installed a dual boot M$ and Linux mix I've had to install Linux second and use either LILO or GRUB for boot order. What happens if you take out the new hard drive with XP on it?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-with-linux-on-sep-hd.190529/
Relevancy 84.71%

I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 8.1), and I'm considering setting it up to dual-boot Linux. I just had a look at the HD with Disk Management, and Lenovo has created 6 partitions (C, D, and 4 hidden partitions). Can I get further help here, or is this a situation where I need to go to Lenovo for advice?

A:dual-boot Linux

Do you need direct hardware access? If not and you just want to run Linux, you can always virtualize it. It's much simpler than worrying about bootloaders.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/30492-dual-boot-linux.html
Relevancy 84.71%

1) I fear Win7 will no longer be maintained by MS once W10 starts costing $$.
2) I have both, WIN7 (no touch 64bit) and Win8 (with touch 32bit) on 2 computers. I did not like the initial W8 installation requiring a connected MS account and continuous internet connection to use computer. I don't like spies.
3) In view of this situation I am considering Ubuntu Linux version as a second O/S as dual boot.
4) I can not eliminate MS Win, too many of my works requires this MS O/S.

In what order should I do the changes? Pitfalls?
I am fairly experiences and can follow good exact instructions. I try to keep away from Registry.

Thanks.

5) My friend has computer W7. Can not install. Can I remotely install Win10 using Teamviewer 10?
If required I can ask this in a new thread, it makes only sense if it can be done at all.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/393309-win-7-10-linux-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 84.71%

I tried to dual boot XP and Ubuntu linux. however when I installed Linux and tried to boot, it said GRUB loading and then ERROR 21. I also can't boot into XP anymore. how do I boot into any of the operating systems?

I have two harddrives, one I think I left alone, and the other I think I put linux on, but I have absolutely no idea how I partitioned the drives.

I would like to have a small partition of 10-15 GB for linux, but I don't mind just dropping the whole linux Idea and just going with XP which is my main OS.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dual-boot-xp-and-linux-150032.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Intend to buy or build a W8 machine. I would like access to my XP programs and data while I gradually install the programs on the W8 platform. My thought was to move my XP HDD (I have an IDE to SATA adapter) to the W8 machine and have a dual boot capability. I have read several of the threads in this forum on this subject but all seem to involve installing XP. Can anyone comment on feasibility and any how-to details? Thanks

A:Dual boot XP/W8 and maybe Linux

As the new MOBO's now have a uEFI/BIOS firmware.
How to install Windows 64 bit on a uEFI/BIOS firmware:

UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 7 with - Windows 7 Help Forums
or
UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 8 with

For more info on uEFI:
Windows and GPT FAQ
Unified Extensible Firmware Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
UEFI Firmware
Technical Note: UEFI BIOS vs. Legacy BIOS, Advantech(EN) - YouTube
Sample: Configure UEFI/GPT-Based Hard Drive Partitions by Using Windows PE and DiskPart
Win XP will not install on a UEFI set up.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/35194-dual-boot-xp-w8-maybe-linux.html
Relevancy 84.71%

I have a system that has Windows XP and SUSE Linux on it. The only problem is i can not get it to boot into anything other than linux. Help please.

Relevancy 84.71%

Ideally I am looking for the situation where I can create a VHD from a Linux ISO boot it then install additional packages and change settings etc I'm not interested in a Live CD scenario I have Windows quot home quot or whatever they preload on Laptops So far the only VHD? boot Dual Linux from OS ISO I have successfully booted has been Windows Server R Dual boot Linux from VHD? Kind of unwieldy on a Laptop I tried Windows Pro x but it hung on Starting Windows So I'm thinking Linux might run a bit snappier if I can find one that does UEFI boot with secure boot disabled and runs from a VHD I have installed several Linux as VMWare Player VMs But they were too slow to use on this Laptop If I could boot directly to VHD it might be feasible to actually use the OS At least I would get some idea how it would work if I put it on the metal I only have this Laptop and since GPT and all this UEFI stuff is new to me I don't want to do a real dual boot and risk hosing my system

A:Dual boot Linux from VHD?

Hi

Almost all newer Linux ditros supports UEFI and SecureBoot. Simply shrink the OS partition via "Disk Management" and install Linux to the newly created empty space. I would recommend Linux Mint which is an upgrade of Ubuntu.

Main Page - Linux Mint

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/65064-dual-boot-linux-vhd.html
Relevancy 84.71%

hey I need help. I have two physical HDDs c and d. D had two logical partitions at 40 gig each and C had 120 gig. C had win xp pro and D had mandrake and red hat.

The problem is that I needen more space and so I took off the linux os's from the D drive. I then reformated the disk as a clean ntfs drive that win could see. Now my only problem is that there is a startup screen that says mandrake linus and that still allows me to choose from the os's that are not there. This is very anoying and I can t get rid of it.

Not in boot.ini
cant find in registry
no more linux files that i can find

HELP

A:dual boot with linux

Sounds like you have a lilo still written in the master boot record of your hard drive.

Boot from a Windows XP CD, choose to recover instead of install. Choose the recovery console. Log onto your system in the console, and use these commands

fixmbr
fixboot

reboot and all should be well, post back if its not.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-with-linux.4773/
Relevancy 84.71%

Hi there guys Originally i had windows installed on my laptop and i had four partitions on my computer C - Windows installed system primary parition 7 device boot error windows b& xp found no boot and dual D - logical partition windows 7 b& xp dual boot and no boot device found error - where windows xp was installed E - logical parition - where my documents word files and so on K - gb for applications to be installed primary partition system i installed windows xp on drive D after formatting and everything was working but when i installed easybcd to add windows to boot i encountered a problem I cannot have xp win together in the boot due to windows xp installed on a logical partition and its boot file is in a unknown primary partition I Decided to convert Drive K to Logical and Drive D XP INSTALLED to primary After my computer restarted it brought up a new error saying no boot device S FOUND i ran windows setup cd to repair but no operating system was found i ran cmd repair typed in bootrec exe scanos - it found windows then i tried bootrec exe fixboot - not working tried rebuildmbr computer restarted but same error I Ran windows XP CD it said no installation sources available found that means no harddrive however windows setup repair option i saw all the drives but i can t install a freash copy of windows on any of partitions Can anyone help me with this problem what i have done wrong and how can i fix a problem like this thanks in advance Asad nbsp

A:windows 7 b& xp dual boot and no boot device found error

Sounds to me that you now have no system (boot) partition. If you can't fix this (mark one of the partitions "system" or "boot") with the Windows 7 installation DVD or the XP installation CD use a bootable partitioning program, such as GParted.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-b-xp-dual-boot-and-no-boot-device-found-error.1030495/
Relevancy 84.71%

I installed Windows 8.1 to try.
The problem is that it stopped working and gives me troubleshooting boot menu .
I have Windows xp on the machine too that's working fine.
So now every time I open my pc, I get the boot menu where it says Windows 8 can't start. What u want to do. Run troubleshooting or boot in earlier version
I go ahead and select earlier version.
I just want to remove this menu and remove the entire Windows 8. I just want to go directly to Windows xp

A:Dual boot system (Windows 8.1 and xp), how to edit boot menu from xp

Please post back a screenshot of Disk Management. To do this from XP, press the Prnt Scrn button, open built-in Paint to paste the screenshot in, Save File, attach back here in reply box using paper clip icon. Screenshot with Paint

If XP is still System Active in Disk Mgmt, then normally you can just delete 8, remove the boot entry in msconfig>Boot, but we need to see the screenshot to be sure of no unexpected configurations.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/360453-dual-boot-system-windows-8-1-xp-how-edit-boot-menu-xp.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Yeah I went and did something stupid - - I had a dual boot of Vista Ubuntu and I deleted the Ubuntu partition in vista and rebooted the comp before correcting the Boot menu So now when I re-start I get this Loading GRUB stage Loading Error I have run just about every test I know of I m running a Vista home on a Dell XPS I ve already ran chkdsk all of Dell s utilities Windows Vista Startup Repair etc Can someone help please EDIT Would fdisk mbr correct my problem Okay now I understand what the problem is The GRUB is looking for a partition that is not there and the binary isn t matching up I m at work right now so I have no way to test to fix it I just want to make sure I know how before I head home Options fdisk mbr FIXBOOT FIXMBR I think bootrec exe fixmbr and fixboot will correct my issue I would like to run it by you guys first nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-vista-boot-dual-boot-grub-error.107629/
Relevancy 84.71%

Okay so I didn t screw up everything but I can t get my boot menu situation straight I have a dual boot of windows xp pro and windows vista business I used EasyBCD to edit my boot menu this way my boot menu listed Windows XP and Windows Vista and it would default to Windows XP The + Windows Xp Menu Boot issues Dual Vista Boot problem now is that I can access F options on windows vista but not on windows xp I messed Dual Boot Windows Xp + Vista Boot Menu issues around Dual Boot Windows Xp + Vista Boot Menu issues with my boot ini for xp but can t get it to do what i want it to do This was my boot ini setup after using EasyBCD - Warning Boot ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems Warning Use BCDEDIT exe to Dual Boot Windows Xp + Vista Boot Menu issues modify Windows Vista boot options boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Windows XP Professional quot NOEXECUTE OPTIN FASTDETECT When the boot ini is listed as above it will automatically just go to Windows XP I want to have my F options back in case I need to get into safe mode I modified the boot ini to do this - Warning Boot ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems Warning Use BCDEDIT exe to modify Windows Vista boot options boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Windows XP Professional quot NOEXECUTE OPTIN FASTDETECT multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Safe Mode quot safeboot minimal sos bootlog noguiboot multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Safe Mode Networking quot safeboot network sos bootlog noguiboot multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Safe Mode CMD Prompt quot safeboot minimal alternateshell sos bootlog noguiboot multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot XP Pro Debug quot debug sos basevideo noguiboot bootlog Now when the boot menu comes up and says I can boot into Win Xp or Win Vista it defaults to Win Xp like it is suppose to but brings up all those options that I added to the boot ini So instead of booting straight to windows xp it gives me another menu screen with all the options I just added to the boot ini When it brings up the second boot menu for Windows Xp it shows all the options that I added the normal XP option I can hit F and it will bring up the normal list of safe mode and debug options How can I get the main boot screen Windows Xp option to access those advance options by hitting F instead of going through two menus I m sorry if this in confusing I tried to explain it the best way I could nbsp

A:Dual Boot Windows Xp + Vista Boot Menu issues

This is all you should need to start XP. I suggest lowering the "timeout" to 3 or less. To access your F8 options you should do so immediately after starting the XP-os. (right after this "boot loader" processes.)

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-windows-xp-vista-boot-menu-issues.948385/
Relevancy 84.71%

After deleting the partition on which Ubuntu was installed and enlarging the windows partition to fill the old space at the same time( stupid I know), I am unable to boot to Windows 7. All I see is a command line message that says Unknown File System and on the next line says Grub Rescue> with the option to input commands. After looking at this forum and Ubuntu forums I'm still unable to resolve the issue. I would like to be able to boot into windows 7.

A:Unable to boot Windows 7 after unistalling Ubuntu Dual boot

You'll have to restore your Master Boot Record. See this tutorial:

MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/132252-unable-boot-windows-7-after-unistalling-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 84.71%

I installed Windows 7 on a partitioned harddrive with vista on the other half.

After the installation i have my boot menu with:
Windows 7
Windows Vista

Windows vista still works but when i try and load windows 7 i get a boot error message:

FILE \windows\system32\winload.exe

info: windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling a number of times, trying the 32 and 64 bit version, and setting the partition to active... with zero results. Ive been googling my problem for days and haven't found a single thing that has been useful. Please help me out if you have heard of this problem happening or have any idea why it is happening.
Please get back to me.

Cheers
the funk

A:dual boot windows 7 and vista boot error winload.exe

try to check the Windows 7 partition for bad sectors (using checkdisk).

if that doesn't help, maybe you will need to rebuild the BCD. Use the bootrec command.

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista/7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/29015-dual-boot-windows-7-vista-boot-error-winload-exe.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Hi there Recently got a HP Pavilion g sa which came with Windows spit and this disgusting UEFI BIOS replacement double spit Anyway I need to dual boot Ubuntu on my system so I installed Ubuntu Normally on a non UEFI system a Grub bootloader installed by Linux would take Boot 8 Order and Dual Ubuntu on Boot Changing Windows over the startup process and allow you to choose between Changing Boot Order on Dual Boot Windows 8 and Ubuntu either Windows or Ubuntu on startup nbsp However on this computer startup is just booting straight to Windows despite the fact that Ubuntu and Grub IS installed Now upon startup if I press F then I get to change the boot-device on a one-time basis I can either select OS Boot Manager which loads Windows or Ubuntu which loads the Grub bootloader which allows me to select Windows or Ubuntu However when I press F to enter the Bios Setup with the intention of changing the boot order permanently the Ubuntu option isn't there Instead it has OS Manager USB Disk CD Rom USB CD Rom and Network Card Thanks HP for the crappily designed BIOS Anyway can anyone PLEASE provide me a way of changing the boot order so that GRUB is loaded first and NOT this crap Windows rubbish that I would happily bin if I didn't need it for work nbsp

A:Changing Boot Order on Dual Boot Windows 8 and Ubuntu

Looks like HP forums are just as useful as HP customer service and HP computers - i.e., not very useful at all.Problem solved though. Took the piece of crap back for a full refund and won't be buying HP again.Happy days.Bye.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Changing-Boot-Order-on-Dual-Boot-Windows-8-and-Ubuntu/td-p/2503733
Relevancy 84.71%

Working in a corporate environment, we use Windows XP now but are needing to upgrade to Windows 7. I have dual boot Windows XP and 7 machine, thats the easy part, but I need to hide Windows 7 from the boot menu OR have a keyboard shortcut that can boot Win 7. The goal is I do not want users to know about Windows 7 until it has been tested and when we go live its already installed and working.

So my objectives are: Working Win 7 install, Hide from XP and boot menu, Be able to boot into 7 at a later time, eventually remove XP from the boot and have 7 the only OS.

Is this possible?

Thank you

A:Dual boot WinXP/7 - How to hide Windows 7 from boot loader and XP?

In Control Panel\System and Security\System\Advanced System Settings|Advanced tab\Startup and Recovery\Settings set XP as default OS, uncheck Time to Display OS Menu.

Now to boot Win7 you'lll need to go into that setting in XP to enable the Dual Boot menu (with 5-10 sec timeout) so that you can reboot into Win7 via the Dual Boot menu.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/282969-dual-boot-winxp-7-how-hide-windows-7-boot-loader-xp.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Hello I have been using windows xp for a long time I have two actual HD one partitioned into and another appears in Windows XP Dual longer no Manager Boot with boot and 7, without any partition giving me a total of I was using two instance of windows xp installed in drive C and another in drive E both are actually located in just one HD but the other HD somehow Dual boot with Windows 7, and XP no longer appears in Boot Manager got in between the two I finally decided to change the windows xp in drive C into windows After installation my previous option of choosing between which windows xp to use no longer appears and it Dual boot with Windows 7, and XP no longer appears in Boot Manager goes straight to my new windows I tried these four command bcdedit create ntldr d quot Windows XP quot bcdedit set ntldr device partition E bcdedit set ntldr path ntldr bcdedit displayorder ntldr addlast So now an option appears before loading any windows but whenever i try to go to windows xp it cant It seems like i need to do more bcdedit Please help Thanks Regards Deggen

A:Dual boot with Windows 7, and XP no longer appears in Boot Manager

Another physical hard drive can not possibly get between 2 partitions on a totally seperate physical hard drive.

If you can get in to your machine, post us a shot of disk management.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/256173-dual-boot-windows-7-xp-no-longer-appears-boot-manager.html
Relevancy 84.71%

I have dual boot with Xp and windows 7.when i log into my Xp all the restore points being deleted from windows 7.
when i check the disk management information in 7 it shows windows 7 create a logical drive with my Xp primary drive.even i am hide the drive from both windows means Xp drive from windows 7 and vice verse.
So i like to unmount or remove the drive partition of windows 7 from Xp and Xp primary from windows 7.So that they dont affect each others system files with being deleted the partitions.
So suggest some software or cmd commands to do that.
thanks in advance

A:Restore points missing from windows 7 after i boot in Xp(dual boot)

Hello Ari, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You might see if using OPTION TWO in the tutorial below to prevent your restore points in Windows 7 from getting deleted every time you startup XP.

System Restore Points - Stop XP Dual Boot Delete - Vista Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/245476-restore-points-missing-windows-7-after-i-boot-xp-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi guys,

I know I'm probably just doing something stupid, but I recently had to reinstall Windows 7 in my dual boot system. Windows 8.1 can no longer "see" Win 7 and won't dual boot with it. I tried EasyBCD and all it did was corrupt Win 8.1's Bootmgr to the point where I had to use Automatic Repair from the Win 8 install disk to get 8.1 to boot again.

Short of reinstalling Win 8, is there anything I can do from Win 7 that will re-enable dual boot? Or is there a way in Win 8? I tried a couple of the Win 8 tutorials, but the option for Win 7 never came up in the boot options screens.

Any ideas gratefully received.

A:Reinstall of Win 7 cannot dual boot with Win 8.1 anymore

Try Using the Rebuild BCD in this tutorial:
Use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/319811-reinstall-win-7-cannot-dual-boot-win-8-1-anymore.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi there, first time posting. I have a problem on my system that on startup it opens windows boot manager and I have to choose to open windows vista. The only other option is to do a diagnostic scan, (which I have tried selecting with no results.) From What I have read, I understand this page would show up if I had multiple operating systems, but I don't. It didn't do this before. Can anybody help with what may be the issue?
Thanks in advance.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/267500-windows-boot-manager-system-not-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 83.85%

I have dual boot Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows 7 and now i cant boot Windows it says Windows can not start the installation process.

A:I have dual boot Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows 7 and now i cant boot Window

The best two ways of running Linux with Wondows on one Hd drive.
Dual Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu
Linux - Install on Windows 7 Virtual Machine using VirtualBox

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/189143-i-have-dual-boot-ubuntu-11-04-windows-7-now-i-cant-boot-window.html
Relevancy 83.85%
A:Cannot Boot Windows 7 after Uninstalling Ubuntu Dual-Boot

The Linux Grub messed you up. You can try to fix it with EasyBCD. Elseyou can make your C: partition active (with the bootable CD of Partition Wizard) and run repair/install with your installation disk 3 times. Reboot after each time.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/278972-cannot-boot-windows-7-after-uninstalling-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi I installed opensuse on dual boot along with my other windows installation Installation of opensuse is successful and i can use it But when I tried to use installing boot Cannot 12.1 windows opensuse 7 after on boot dual windows on grub it says bootmgr is missing I ve already encountered this problem a long time ago so i tried to use bootrec fixmbr bootrec rebuildbcd and bootrec fixboot in the recovery console in the windows DVD Rebuildbcd and fixboot Cannot boot windows 7 after installing opensuse 12.1 on dual boot did not work and it said something like it cannot find my windows installation I also tried bootrec scanos it returned a windows installation on D Windows but my windows is in drive C I think this has something to do with me messing up the active partition in disk management a month ago but i already fixed it by setting the active partition to the system reserved partition Only fixmbr is successful but now i can t boot on any OS because it says Missing operating system I also tried bcdboot C Windows but it failed with a message that goes like Failure when attempting to copy boot information Oh and I also tried changing my boot grub menu lst settings but still it didn t work I just need to boot in my windows OS please Can anyone enlighten me Thanks

A:Cannot boot windows 7 after installing opensuse 12.1 on dual boot

Hello -
Uninstall opensuse 12.1 first - See if your Windows O/S will boot -
Reinstall opensuse 12.1 again, and then see if your Windows O/S will now boot -

If it will not boot please stop trying to alter your registry as this may also be causing the problem

Just an idea -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/449090/cannot-boot-windows-7-after-installing-opensuse-121-on-dual-boot/
Relevancy 83.85%

Right let me start by saying that I've been tearing my hair out over this problem for a few days I've read a tutorial for doing this the proper way on this site but that was after I had already gone and deleted the XP partition Basically I upgraded my friends CPU and motherboard and used Paragon Adaptive Restore to keep the install of Windows intact so he wouldn't need to start Partion Boot Dual (XP) Won't Delete 7 Boot After Windows from scratch This was successful but he had a partition for XP which he asked me to get rid of I had no idea that just deleting the partition with Paragon partition manager free would leave it saying quot Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key quot because I didn't know about XP having to be in the primary partition and Windows in an extended partition Anyway I reckon as well as me messing up partition manager must Windows 7 Won't Boot After Dual Boot Partion (XP) Delete have messed up as it left free space at random parts of the hard drive Windows 7 Won't Boot After Dual Boot Partion (XP) Delete and in between partitions mb of free space behind the windows volume meant and a half hours to move all of the data back What I've done to try rectify the problem I've rebuilt the MBR I've cleaned the hard drive up getting rid of the free space and now it shows up in Gparted I wish I had a screenshot as an extended partition with a logical volume containing Windows After reading a bit about partition types and deciding I needed to make this extended partition primary which I still don't know is possible I ran Minitool's Partition Wizard and set it to primary I tried to run startup repair times after making the partition quot active quot but after the second time it says that there's nothing wrong with the startup and that it can't detect any problems Now I'm at the stage where it starts booting the hard drive and an underscore cursor blinks at the top left of the screen forever Ideally I'd like to just get windows to boot so I'd like to know if there's some way of imaging the windows volume and restoring it onto a newly created primary boot active partition then deleting the extended partition Out of any other forum this one seemed to have the most clued up people in this matter so that's why I'm begging you for help Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated

A:Windows 7 Won't Boot After Dual Boot Partion (XP) Delete

See if this helps, Startup Repair

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/373881-windows-7-wont-boot-after-dual-boot-partion-xp-delete.html
Relevancy 83.85%

This happened about two days ago By going in chronological order I used to Windows How -> I fix setup do Single Dual-Boot Boot: 8? have a dual-boot setup a Windows and Windows on two different IDE GB hard drives named Drive A and Drive B respectively Both of these hard drives are quite old and I'm worried that it may be near the end of their life spans After buying a new SATAIII GB hard drive named Drive C I decided that I want to keep Windows and scrap Windows I like Windows but I digress So I burned a CD containing Parted Magic Dual-Boot setup -> Single Boot: How do I fix Windows 8? boot the Live CD used Dual-Boot setup -> Single Boot: How do I fix Windows 8? GParted to copy the System Reserved partition from Drive A all MB of it onto Drive C A few restarts afterwards reminded that me that I need to also copy the Windows partition GB from Drive B onto Drive C Then I removed Drive A with Windows intact and kept Drive B in And this is where I am as of now I've currently booted into Drive C meaning that I'm booting the Windows partition that was copied from Drive B to Drive C and here's what it looks like Can't tell if the image is working or it's being resized locally on this forum Now my problem is that if I were to remove Drive B the IDE GB one if you're following me Windows in Drive C will crash upon logging in with my account It is unable to load anything or even provide basic features such as shutting down restart etc I believed it's because Drive B is labeled as Volume C If I remove Drive B Volume D Windows in Drive C the GB one wouldn't exist therefore it's unable to load Windows correctly I'm looking for a solution that edits the BCD Boot Manager for Windows so that whenever I boot up the desktop computer I can boot into Windows in Drive C and safely remove Drive B the IDE GB one again if you're following First of all does anyone follow me through all of this If yes does anyone know how to achieve this solution Thanks in advance

A:Dual-Boot setup -> Single Boot: How do I fix Windows 8?

How to clone your IDE drive to a SATA drive.
How to Migrate OS to new Hard disk.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/24089-dual-boot-setup-single-boot-how-do-i-fix-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 83.85%

I was having win 7 RTM and i tried to installl OSx86 in second hard disk

after few failure i successfully installed OSx86 in my secondary had disk now the problem is that i cant boot win 7

i changed boot order i tried windows 7 disk repair
but both failed

im getting some Boot mldr missing...

Actually even OSx86 is not booting i get OSx86 boot screen with two hard disk to select if i select windows disk it still says the same Boot mldr missing

can someone plz help me now im completely without any working OS in my system!!!

A:Windows boot up problem in dual boot(win 7 & OSx86)

unplug the hard disk that has OSX on it and then run startup repair.

When you install OSX you should probably have unplugged your Windows drive at least until you finish the install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/26123-windows-boot-up-problem-dual-boot-win-7-osx86.html
Relevancy 83.85%

I have dual boot Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows 7 and now i cant boot Windows it says Windows can not start the installation process.

A:I have dual boot Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows 7 and now i cant boot Window

Could you tell me exactly how you installed Ubuntu in your dual boot? Did you use Wubi Installer or install the OS on a separate partition?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/189146-i-have-dual-boot-ubuntu-11-04-windows-7-now-i-cant-boot-window.html