Windows Support Forum

accessing "documents and settings"folder

Q: accessing "documents and settings"folder

I have changed from old XP computer to new windows 8

Photo files have transferred in to "Library "on new computer whereas they were in "documents and Settings in old computer

Momento photo book files can only access photos from a folder bearing the name the program has REMEMBERED...i.e. "documents and settings"

New comp will not allow me to access "documents and settings "to transfer photo files into it

DO NOT WISH TO RESET 100 PAGES OF PREVIOUSLY PREPARED BOOK

how CAN I TRANSFER PHOTO FILES INTO "DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: accessing "documents and settings"folder

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: accessing "documents and settings"folder

C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName is what Windows XP previously called the User file. The User file in all versions of Windows since then are C:\Users\yourusername. Librariess are the place holders introduced in Windows 7 with short cuts to the directories (Pictures, Music Etc) in the User File. There are no directories or files that you can access or rename called Documents and Settings.
You will have to remap the Momento Photo book to C:\Users\YourUserName\(My)Pictures\Momento Photo book or whatever the name of the file that Photobook creates.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/accessing-documents-and-settings-folder-832930.html
Relevancy 92.07%

So I have my entire hard drive backed up to an image file. I had to format and put a new hard drive in my machine. All is fine and dandy, but when I try to access my user's folder in "documents and settings" on the mounted "image" all I get is "access is denied" - anyone know how to fix this, or get around it?

A:Accessing a user's "documents and settings" when it's "protected"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-a-users-documents-and-settings-when-its-protected.397781/
Relevancy 90.21%

I added a slave drive to my Windows XP Pro computer and it appears to work properly However when I open the quot Documents and Settings quot folder on the slave drive E which is Windows XP Home Edition Slave Folder Settings" Solved: drive Denied" "Access and on "Documents -- not XP Pro I do not see any of my documents sub-folders etc There should be MANY sub-folders inside the quot My Documents quot folder which isn t even visible with hundreds of documents jpgs etc Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder within it When that drive is installed as the Primary drive in my other computer the User quot Larry Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder quot which is me has all Administrative privileges On the computer that I m running now with the slave drive in it I also have Administrator privileges I own both computers My User Name quot Larry quot is password-protected when I login to Windows when the drive is Primary and installed into my main computer not this computer with XP Pro I ve tried clicking on all the users Administrator Default User Larry Guest etc Note I get an quot Access Denied quot error when clicking on the Guest quot Documents and Settings quot folder So the questions are Why can t I see any files or subdirectories in the quot Documents and Settings quot folder on the slave drive There s supposed to be a folder named quot My Documents quot but I can t find it Normally that path is quot C Documents and Settings My Documents quot --- Where is that folder It contains all the files I m looking for Do I have to put the drive back into the other computer and then change something before putting it into this computer or can I change something in this computer to access the folders I m really confused Old Fart Larry nbsp

A:Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder

Follow the directions here to take ownership of a file or folder.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-slave-drive-access-denied-on-documents-and-settings-folder.935997/
Relevancy 83.39%

Okay here s the rundown as Solved: Settings" and from User "Documents Folder Missing Folder best as I can remember it Several years ago around if I m approximating I purchased a slew of components and built my first computer from scratch Since that time I have run through four power supplies It seems as though some other component is causing these power supply failures This is not the purpose of this post however but some back story Now I am not the most technically savvy person in the world and after the second failure I took the computer to a quot professional quot While Solved: Missing User Folder from "Documents and Settings" Folder I don t know Solved: Missing User Folder from "Documents and Settings" Folder what he did in its entirety I did notice a change that confused me However as I had decided to be an end user from this point forward and not a techie person I didn t question it Solved: Missing User Folder from "Documents and Settings" Folder The change I could access the user account quot Documents quot folder from the quot My Computer quot window but not from within the quot Documents and Settings quot folder under the root directory In other words if I were to double-click the quot My Computer quot icon I would be given the usual options of hard disk drives and CD drives as well as the quot Shared Documents quot folder and the quot Username Documents quot folder for the user logged in That would by Ahr Neely s Documents for the Ahr Neely user and as there was only every one user created on the computer it was the only documents folder that should have existed However if I were to from the quot My Computer quot window open the C drive and navigate to quot Documents and Settings quot I would only have two options to choose from quot All Users quot and quot Default User quot ghosted as a hidden folder Neither of these folders contain the content and media files that the quot Ahr Neely s Documents quot contain from the quot My Computer quot window On either of my other PCs when venturing into the quot Documents and Settings quot folder I have four folder options listed quot Administrator quot quot All Users quot quot Default User quot ghosted out as a hidden folder and quot Ahr Neely quot the only user created on the PC So it wasn t a problem having the PC set up this way as long as it was running fine However yet again the power supply has taken a dump on me and so I ve had it with this computer Its lasted me several years and I ve decided to purchase a store bought computer building my own was a fun experiment but in the end it didn t yield a cheaper better computer Now that I m moving on I have pulled the old hard drives out of that PC and stuck them in an external enclosure you know its important to keep the old data However I cannot for the life of me find any evidence that the files in the quot Ahr Neely s Documents quot folder which include the My Pictures My Music My Movies or Downloads folders anywhere on this hard drive I have performed several different searches through all folders including hidden files and folders and have come up with nothing So after that long and drawn out explanation I m wondering if anyone has any idea how to track down this elusive folder Is there a way to find it Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you Ahr Neely nbsp

Relevancy 81.84%

I'd like to move my user files to a different drive, so that when i boot up to XP or Vista the same files are available on a seperate partition.

I have been able to move all the Vista one to my C: drive (XP) and its ok, but im running out of space and want to put the stuff on E:. I cant figure out how to make XP look to E:\Username\Desktop for its desktop files.

Any help would be great - i know its probably simple and ive just beat about the bush as usual.

A:Solved: Moving "Documents and Settings" folder to another location

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-moving-documents-and-settings-folder-to-another-location.692554/
Relevancy 81.53%

Hi I recently added a HDD to my PC I'm using that HDD only to store my personal stuff On that HDD Windows Vista had been formerly installed with another computer and I did not feel any need to delete those old OS files before moving to Content and old settings" "Documents of drive a on different folder my new computer They could not hurt So I have Content of old "Documents and settings" folder on a different drive a quot Documents and settings quot folder on the main HDD and another such folder from Windows Vista on the added HDD To my astonishment I now see when opening both those folders in Windows Explorer that the old quot Documents and settings quot folder on the added drive has the same content especially in the quot Download quot folder under my user name as the new one This I cannot explain Is it that Windows Explorer gets confused and gives me wrong information when opening the old D amp S folder Can anyone help me find the files which should be present in my old quot Download quot folder on the added drive There's no reason I can think of that I could not access the unmodified content of that folder but you may know better I'm looking forward to reading your possible answers thank you

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/396654-content-old-documents-settings-folder-different-drive.html
Relevancy 80.6%

Hi.

The partition C, where Windows XP is installed, became too small. Often XP crashes with the blue screen (BSOD).

I already, successfully, moved the system folder "My Documents" to another hard drive, to give space, and changed the registry accordingly.

That was two years ago. Meanwhile, my space is again too small, somehow everything seems to grow on that partition. I need to give space again.

I tried to copy the system folder "Documents and Settings" to another partition before making any registry change. But i cannot copy, XP reports an error saying that "NTUSER cannot be copied. The file is being used by another person or program".

I also don't find any variable inside the registry pointing to that system folder.

Is there anyone out there who has experience and can give me advices?

Relevancy 80.6%

I had just reverted my computer from Windows Vista to Windows XP If you need further explanation here is the link for the post with and Folder Settings" Trouble "Documents that I had sent over a month ago http forums techguy org windows-nt- -xp -windows-xp-keeps-restarting html Thankfully when I had to manually Trouble with "Documents and Settings" Folder delete Windows Vista see http support microsoft com kb I didn t have to use a boot disk though Trouble with "Documents and Settings" Folder I obtained one and Windows XP Home Trouble with "Documents and Settings" Folder SP started up normally What I did notice was that the Documents and Settings folder was and is completely empty and I can t access it So I can t access quot All Programs quot My Documents from the Documents and Settings folder and the wallpaper is blank I have the Documents and Settings folder in Windows old but apparently that didn t transfer successfully back to the C drive I cannot replace it like copying the quot Documents and Settings quot folder from windows old and replacing it on the C drive as it ll tell me quot Access Denied quot I also found that I couldn t adjust the security settings for access to the folder from safe mode as Administrator as the only options were General and Sharing and no quot Security quot tab Tweak UI refuses to install on the computer the Windows XP version I still think that it s possible to redirect the folder to the one in Windows old And when I tried the boot CD I selected Repair Installation off of the menu and all I got was quot C Windows gt quot like a command prompt I don t think that it s supposed to be doing that Is there any way possible that I could redirect the Documents and Settings folder to the one in the Windows old folder What about forcing the computer to replace it I would greatly appreciate the help as I m so frustrated that I m ready to smash the damned box Thanks Arizona guy nbsp

Relevancy 80.6%

Seven months ago, I repartitioned my drives and installed XP. I thought I did it judiciously, but now I find my C: drive filling up, mostly because of the Documents and Settings folder.

I'd like to reocate it to my D: partition.

I googled the subject, but the resulting hits leave me more confused than anything. Has anyone done this successfully (relocating the "Documents and Settings" folder)? How, please.
Thanks a bunch!

Relevancy 110.94%

Somehow my "Shared Documents" Folder got renamed to "Documents" when setting up my wireless network. Now when I am unable to install some software because that file name is missing.
I am not able to rename the "Documents" folder because I get the error that it is a system folder and cannot be renamed. Please help.

A:Unable To Rename "Documents" Folder To Original Name "Shared Documents"

You can change the share name over the network. My machine does the same thing.

When you click 'Share this Folder over the network' you are given the option to name the share. It will warn you that if it is over 12 chars, then older machines on the network may not be able to see it etc etc. Ok this and then check that the shared documents folder appears as such on the machine you wish to access with.

Bear in mind you folder will be showing in your 'Network Folders' as 'Documents on {computername} ({computername}). Can you not just point to this folder on the second machine instead?

Regards,

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-rename-documents-folder-to-original-name-shared-documents.288755/
Relevancy 109.65%

Hi;
In my Documents and Settings folder there are 7 folders: A, Dad, Older son, Younger son, all users, app data, and default user folders...
Often when saving a file, the default folder will be one named "A" in the documents and settings folder. I was trying to delete the "A" folder so there would just be mine and the two boys... in the hopes that mine would be the target for default file saves (instead of the nearly empty "A")

The comp won't let me delete A since it's a system folder...
Is that there for networking / file sharing purposes? Is there a thread which explains what I'm not getting? (Or could someone please explain it to me?)...

I searched through threads for nearly an hour before posting...

Thanks for any help...

wayne

Relevancy 106.64%

Good day all.

I recently restarted my computer only to be met with an empty desktop.

Also, My Start Menu is empty. I can't locate any of programs or documents.a Right clicking and going to windows explorer, I could only view : "My Computer", "Windows (C); and when I click on them, they contain few irrelevant files.

In other words I can't find my personal saved documents, "my document" folder , recycle bin and all other programs.

My wifi still works so the only thing I can do on my system is browse on the internet.

However, I can open a microsoft office file, PDF files, if I download it directly from my email or from an external drive.

I can save files on my new blank desktop.

I presume this is a virus attack.

Can anyone be kind enough to advise me on what to do?

Thanking you in advance.

A:Desktop erased. Can't Locate "My Documents" folder and "Start Menu" folders

Your files and folders may have been hidden by the virus, go to folder options and 'show hidden files and folder' to see if they actually are hidden. If they are, you can use Grindler's UnHide tool to 'unhide' all of your files and folders. As for the virus, move this thread to the virus and other malware removal forum in order for it to be noticed by an authorised malware removal member.
Good luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-erased-cant-locate-my-documents-folder-and-start-menu-folders.1003509/
Relevancy 106.64%

Good day all I recently restarted my computer only to be met with an empty desktop Also My Start Menu is empty I can t locate any of programs or documents a Right clicking and going to windows explorer I could only view quot My Computer quot quot Windows C and when I click on them they contain few irrelevant files In other words I can t find my personal saved documents quot my document quot folder recycle bin and all other programs My wifi still works so the only thing I can do on my system is browse on the internet However I can open a microsoft office file PDF files if I download it directly from my email or from an external drive I can save files on my new blank desktop I presume this is a virus attack Can anyone be kind enough to advise me on what to do AFTER FOLLOWING SOME ADVICE I AM BEGINNING TO GET Documents" folder erased. Locate and "My Menu" Can't folders "Start Desktop SOME OF Desktop erased. Can't Locate "My Documents" folder and "Start Menu" folders MY FILES BACK BUT MY START PROGRAM FOLDERS ARE ALL EMPTY For example when i click the microsoft office folder it is empty HOW CAN I GET RID OF THIS VIRUS PLEASE Thanking you in advance nbsp

closing duplicate, please respond at http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1003509-desktop-erased-cant-locate-my.html . Please do not create duplicate threads for the same issue.

thanks,

v

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-erased-cant-locate-my-documents-folder-and-start-menu-folders.1003517/
Relevancy 106.64%

Good day all.

I recently restarted my computer only to be met with an empty desktop.

Also, My Start Menu is empty. I can't locate any of programs or documents.a Right clicking and going to windows explorer, I could only view : "My Computer", "Windows (C); and when I click on them, they contain few irrelevant files.

In other words I can't find my personal saved documents, "my document" folder , recycle bin and all other programs.

My wifi still works so the only thing I can do on my system is browse on the internet.

However, I can open a microsoft office file, PDF files, if I download it directly from my email or from an external drive.

I can save files on my new blank desktop.

I presume this is a virus attack.

Can anyone be kind enough to advise me on what to do?

Thanking you in advance.

closing thread, please do not create more than one thread for the same issue. Please respond at http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1003509-desktop-erased-cant-locate-my.html .

thanks,

v

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-erased-cant-locate-my-documents-folder-and-start-menu-folders.1003510/
Relevancy 103.63%

G'day Folks,

1)
Should I move "Documents" or "My Documents" folder to D partition? When I click on start --> documents it opens "Documents" folder which has apps-data ...etc folders.I like to be able to click on "documents" to access my data from D,is this possible?

2)
just bought a new Asus laptop and Windows-recover turned off on C: .

i)Is it because Asus has protected partiton (c set up?
ii)should I enable window's recovery on protected partition and set restore point?

Thanking you in advance for your knowledge and experties of Windows 7

A:Should I move "Documents" or "My Documents" folder to D partition?

Hello Online,

If you wanted to move your C:\Users\(user-name)\My Documents folder to another location, then OPTION TWO in the tutorial below can help show you how to easily do so. User Folders - Change Default Location
The Start Menu opens to the library location instead of the one in your C:\Users\(user-name) folder. If you would like to change that, then the tutorial below can help show you how to.Start Menu User Folder Buttons - Open to Users Instead of Libraries
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/204945-should-i-move-documents-my-documents-folder-d-partition.html
Relevancy 102.34%

I have tried logging on as the hidden Admin and I have checked my permissions but I still can't access this folder. I think there are some Firefox files in this folder and I need to see them.
Any help?
Thanks,
Frank

A:"Access Denied" for "Documents and Settings"

welcome..try to use the elevate command prompt Elevated Command Prompt

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/100080-access-denied-documents-settings.html
Relevancy 101.05%

Spyware Terminator brought this up about a week ago amp i removed it amp it has found it again Settings\Temp\41.tmp" Trojan "C:\Documents and file: Re: Settings\Allan\Local today quot Threat Files lt Trojan Tempi Re: Trojan file: "C:\Documents and Settings\Allan\Local Settings\Temp\41.tmp" gt C Documents and Settings Allan Local Settings Temp tmp quot My computer does seems like it s been running a little bit slower overall over the last few weeks especially loading some particular programs such as Outlook amp Firefox Firefox seems to be running browse loading a little slower than usual in the last few weeks but i m not sure as my ISP had been running a little bit crapily of late My HijackThis log file reads O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe install O - HKLM Run NvMediaCenter RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvMcTray dll NvTaskbarInit O - HKLM Run AVG TRAY C PROGRA AVG AVG avgtray exe O - HKCU Run PhotoShow Deluxe Media Manager C PROGRA Ahead NEROPH data xtras mssysmgr exe O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - Global Startup GA Smart Wizard Utility lnk C Program Files NETGEAR GA Re: Trojan file: "C:\Documents and Settings\Allan\Local Settings\Temp\41.tmp" Adapter GA exe O - HKCU Software Policies Microsoft Internet Explorer Control Panel present O - Extra context menu item Crawler Search - tbr iemenu O - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Extra Tools menuitem Sun Java Console - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Extra button no name - e e dd -d - - b -f ba - C WINDOWS Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe O - Extra Tools menuitem xpsp res dll - - e e dd -d - - b -f ba - C WINDOWS Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe O - Extra button PartyPoker net - F FE - - e -B - B EED - C Program Files PartyGaming Net PartyPokerNet RunPF exe O - Extra Tools menuitem PartyPoker net - F FE - - e -B - B EED - C Program Files PartyGaming Net PartyPokerNet RunPF exe O - Extra button Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - Extra Tools menuitem Windows Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - IERESET INF START PAGE URL http www optusnet com au O - Trusted Zone msn com O - ProtocolDefaults ivt protocol is in My Computer Zone should be Intranet Zone HKLM O - ProtocolDefaults file protocol is in My Computer Zone should be Internet Zone HKLM O - ProtocolDefaults ftp protocol is in My Computer Zone should be Internet Zone HKLM O - ProtocolDefaults http protocol is in My Computer Zone should be Internet Zone HKLM O - ProtocolDefaults https protocol is in My Computer Zone should be Internet Zone HKLM O - DPF ChatSpace Full Java Client - http Java cfs cab O - DPF E A- D- EE - C-DC FA D FC MUWebControl Class - http update microsoft com microsoftupdate v V Controls en x client muweb site cab O - DPF D CDB E-AE D- CF- B - Shockwave Flash Object - http fpdownload macromedia com get shockwave cabs flash swflash cab O - HKLM System CCS Services Tcpip D -F F - D- - CEAE C D NameServer O - HKLM System CCS Services Tcpip EB ED -CEA - B -A A- D C NameServer O - Protocol linkscanner - F C- F - D -A D -FBDDE F D - C Program Files AVG AVG avgpp dll O - Protocol tbr - D FB A- - - E- ADA CFBBF - C PROGRA Crawler Toolbar ctbr dll O - AppInit DLLs avgrsstx dll O - Service Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service aawservice - Lavasoft - C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe O - Service AVG WatchDog avg wd - AVG Technologies CZ s r o - C PROGRA AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe O - Service Canon Camera Access Library CCALib - Canon Inc - C Program Files Canon CAL CALMAIN exe O - Service Google Updater Service gusvc - Google - C Program Files Google Common Google Updater GoogleUpdaterService exe O - Service InstallDriver Table Manager IDriverT - Macrovision Corporation - C Program Files Common Files InstallShield Driver Intel IDriverT... Read more

A:Re: Trojan file: "C:\Documents and Settings\Allan\Local Settings\Temp\41.tmp"

Hi, Welcome to TSG!!
Download: ResetProtocolDefaults.reg
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/ResetProtocolDefaults.reg

Locate "ResetProtocolDefaults.reg"
Right-click and select: Merge (Ok the prompt)

Post your log again and this time post the entire log please.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/re-trojan-file-c-documents-and-settings-allan-local-settings-temp-41-tmp.733416/
Relevancy 100.62%

I'm sure there is simple solution to this, but I am baffled. Upon Windows reboot (XP Pro) the My Document folder is automatically opened. How do I disable this from happening ?

Thanks in advance !

A:"My Documents" Folder opens on "boot up"

See if this helps.

Go HERE and read post #5

Regards Howard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-documents-folder-opens-on-boot-up.38540/
Relevancy 100.19%

I Need Help!
I was wondering if it is a issue to delete files in "Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp". I am really looking if it is safe to delete the "Documents and Settings\Kenny Hartwick\Local Settings\Temp" files.

Thanks!

A:Should I Delete "Documents and Settings\Username/Local Settings\Temp"

I don't know who Kenny Hartwick is, but deleting temp files is NOT a problem. Just get his permission, willya.

:)

edit: if you click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup you'll run a nice little routine that lets you select those, among other, files to remove as well as a file compactor for rarely used files.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/should-i-delete-documents-and-settings-username-local-settings-temp-654035.html
Relevancy 98.47%

Hi,

When our website users click on an html attachment embedded on a web-page in IE9, the download manager will not display the "Open" option. It will only display "Save" and "Cancel" which our users don't like, having to save the
html document in a folder to open it. Whereas, when downloading attachments like pdf, word etc. all three options are displayed. 

Is there any setting to tweak , which will display all the 3 options for HTML attachments as well?

A:IE9 download manager will not display "Open" option (only "Save" and "Cancel" is displayed) for downloading HTML documents.

Hi,
As you know, the Open-Save-Cancel dialog box helps you prevent your computer from affecting by virus while downloading. 
So I suggest you test to reset all zones to a lower level temporarily and then please attempt to download this html attachment again.

However, since you can normally download the other documents, I suspect there is some restriction in the website which you are trying to view. I recommend you to contact the administrator of that website if possible.
could you please send me the link of the website from where you are trying to download the html attachment?
Thanks!

We
are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this
interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3094ac49-8d49-4a60-a7cf-fb12c823e500/ie9-download-manager-will-not-display-quotopenquot-option-only-quotsavequot-and?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 98.04%

Hi My mother board fried or something on my old computer so I purchased a new one There were files on my old hard drive I need on my new computer so I attempted to install it on my new computer as a slave drive Problems arose most likely because they both have comp??? documents Accessing on settings and old folder HD new a from an an OS or some other unknown reason I am a layman when it comes to computer so I couldn t figure out how to install it properly I came to a Accessing documents and settings folder from an old HD on a new comp??? temporary solution though when I used the IDE cables from Accessing documents and settings folder from an old HD on a new comp??? the CD-ROM drive in order to hook up my old hard drive I am now able to access the information on my old hard drive on my new comp - EXCEPT for my old user name in the docs and settings folder I imagine it s because I was the administrator of the computer because I can access the other users desktop folder without a hitch on my old hard drive I just need to access the folders on the desktop on my old drive - it keeps telling me quot access denied quot There are two potential ways I can do this I guess A Figure out how to boot my computer successfully with the old drive B Since my new drive boots up with no problems figure out how to access my old drives docs and settings folder when it s on the slave drive Does anyone have a solution for this Any input on either A or B would be GREATLY appreciated Thank you nbsp

A:Accessing documents and settings folder from an old HD on a new comp???

You need to Take Ownership of the folder. go to the link to read how.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-documents-and-settings-folder-from-an-old-hd-on-a-new-comp.464380/
Relevancy 97.18%

Prior to a few weeks back where I made added a function to the folder file type it didn t matter if I doubled clicked on a file folder on either the left hand pane or the right hand pane of Windows Explorer Folder View Either way opened the folder and displayed in the contents in the right hand pane Since I made the open and shortcuts Folder Windows to folder documents" not Explorer and "my the change below however if I click on a folder in the left hand quot Folders quot pane it works as before and opens the folder and displayed in the contents in the right hand pane However if I click on any folders in the right hand files pane a new windows explorer window opens a displays the quot my documents quot This is driving me nuts The same thing happens if you click on a shortcut to a folder Instead of the folder opening it opens a new window and displays quot my documents quot This problems started Windows Explorer and Folder shortcuts open to "my documents" and not the folder when I added a new function to the folder file folder file type properties to print out the contents of a folder by calling a batch file that piped the content to a file In the file association for file folders in the advanced section I now have three functions - the afore mentioned create file list - explore the default and - find For the folder file type I just have - explore and - open Any suggestions on how to put things back to the way Windows Explorer always worked before make clicking folders in the right hand pane open them up properly in the same window as per clicking them on the left hand pane nbsp

A:Windows Explorer and Folder shortcuts open to "my documents" and not the folder

Welcome to TSG....

You can try doing a system restore to a day or so before you made the change to view. It will not affect any data that you have but you might have to re-install any programs that you have had since that date.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-explorer-and-folder-shortcuts-open-to-my-documents-and-not-the-folder.557327/
Relevancy 97.18%

I Documents" Accessing "My Protected have done a rather silly thing and managed to mess up my main hard drive Thats not the problem though as I was planning to reformat this one put a fresh XP on it and move all my files over However it seems I had forgotten that my files were protected with the user passwords so I cannot access 'my Accessing Protected "My Documents" documents' which is where most of the things I want are So I need a solution to either of the following The disk not booting When I Accessing Protected "My Documents" try to boot of that disk so I can remove the password it says something like 'BOOT DISK NOT FOUND ' ect I don't know how I should go about repairing this as I get stuck when I insert the XP disk and it asks me which install I want to repair I select and then it waits for a command Any way I can unprotect the files on a DIFFERENT hard drive without booting that disk as I cant I have the username and password I just can't find a way to open the files without logging on that disk which I can't do If you can help me I will be very thankful If you need any additional info to help solve my problem just ask

A:Accessing Protected "My Documents"

I would bet you are going into the Recovery Console and not doing a Repair Install. Follow these instructions to do a repair install.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If you mount the drive in another computer as a slave, you can take Ownership of the files.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...308421&sd=tech

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/accessing-protected-my-documents-84657.html
Relevancy 95.46%

I set this Windows computer up wrong more than a year ago and have just lived with it but I am wanting to use an online backup service and want my files to be in a standard place just in case files for set all folder Documents folder "Contacts" as Mistakenly When I moved my files from my previous computer the first thing I did was create a separate partition on my new computer drive quot Mistakenly set "Contacts" folder as Documents folder for all files R quot I meant to then put everything in the quot Documents quot folder and locate it on the quot R quot partition I had it set up this way on the previous computer using Vista Somehow I got befuddled and they all went in the quot Contacts quot folder correctly located on quot R quot but incorrectly identified I think when I moved them from the default location on the quot C quot drive to the new partition on quot R quot I must have gotten trigger happy and hit the wrong folder button or something I don't quite remember Fixing it is not as simple as using the quot Location quot tab in the quot Properties quot dialog for quot Contacts quot I want Mistakenly set "Contacts" folder as Documents folder for all files to leave all my folders on the quot R quot drive I just want them to be in quot Documents quot not quot Contacts quot I'm afraid if I simply rename quot Contacts quot to quot Documents quot or move them manually that will break all links to programs big and small such as Word Dropbox iTunes etc Screen shots below And yes the quot Contacts quot folder inside my quot Contacts quot directory does contain MS Exchange contact files If someone can help me tidy up this mess I would REALLY appreciate it Unless you think I should just continue to live with it and save myself hours of frustration

A:Mistakenly set "Contacts" folder as Documents folder for all files

Hello Druekberg,

It'll be a bit of work, but you should be able to use OPTION TWO in the tutorial below to restore the default locations of any affected user folders. Be sure to back up the contents of the folders to another location first to be safe.

User Folders - Restore Default Location

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/318850-mistakenly-set-contacts-folder-documents-folder-all-files.html
Relevancy 95.46%

When I double click any folder, it opens "Documents" folder in a new window. If I right click and choose "Open" it works fine.

HP Pavillion Desktop with Win 8.1pro X64bit.

A:When I double click a folder, it opens "Documents" folder

Hello Gray, and welcome to Eight Forums.

If you like, download and merge the .reg file for the folder and directory options in the tutorial below to see if it may help if it's an issue with the default registry entries for them.

Default File Associations - Restore in Windows 8

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/65272-when-i-double-click-folder-opens-documents-folder.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Hello all,

Awhile back, I was moving my Documents and Settings folder from 1 drive to another. I did this manually, and have a very strong feeling that I duplicated some subfolders. I may have also missed some subfolders in the process, too.

Can anybody give me the correct subfolder tree, including hidden folders, for the Documents and Settings folder.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

A:Correct Subfolder Tree for "Documents and Settings": Home Edition

C:\Documents and Settings\House>dir /A
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is F88F-9684

Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\House

23/12/2007 11:03 <DIR> .
23/12/2007 11:03 <DIR> ..
23/12/2007 11:03 <DIR> Application Data
03/12/2007 20:01 <DIR> Cookies
01/01/2008 10:55 <DIR> Desktop
09/12/2007 15:30 <DIR> Favorites
15/10/2007 22:55 <DIR> Local Settings
15/12/2007 17:51 <DIR> My Documents
15/10/2007 22:55 <DIR> NetHood
02/01/2008 22:56 1,572,864 NTUSER.DAT
08/01/2008 23:00 1,024 NTUSER.DAT.LOG
02/01/2008 22:56 178 ntuser.ini
15/10/2007 22:55 <DIR> PrintHood
01/01/2008 10:51 <DIR> Recent
10/11/2007 18:16 <DIR> SendTo
15/10/2007 22:55 <DIR> Start Menu
15/10/2007 21:01 <DIR> Templates
3 File(s) 1,574,066 bytes
14 Dir(s) 226,310,905,856 bytes free

C:\Documents and Settings\House>

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/correct-subfolder-tree-for-documents-and-settings-home-edition-209931.html
Relevancy 95.03%

I want to move all of these files to my new media partition including the "All User Files" and my own files.

I was able to move my files, but it didn't work as expected. I tried creating a new folder on my desktop so I can easily access it, but it is created in the "desktop" folder instead of the desktop itself. I tried copying that folder to the desktop, but it says the source is the same which now makes sense.

I am new to this, but please help!

A:Solved: How do I move all of my "documents and settings" to my new partion drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-how-do-i-move-all-of-my-documents-and-settings-to-my-new-partion-drive.809111/
Relevancy 95.03%

I m using Windows XP SP Home Edition and am trying to access the C System Volume Information folder but I keep getting an quot Access is denied quot message even after following the Volume The Folder Accessing Information" Trouble "C:\System below directions Click Start click Run type cmd and then click OK Make sure that you are in the root folder of the partition for which you want to gain access to the System Volume Information folder For example to gain access the C System Volume Information folder make sure that you are in the root folder of drive C at a quot C quot prompt Type the following line and then press ENTER cacls quot driveletter System Volume Information quot E G username F Make sure to type the quotation marks as indicated This command adds the specified user to the folder with Full Control permissions Double-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder to open it If you need to remove the permissions after troubleshooting type the following line at a command prompt cacls quot driveletter System Volume Information quot E R username This command removes all permissions Trouble Accessing The "C:\System Volume Information" Folder for the specified user My problem may be with Trouble Accessing The "C:\System Volume Information" Folder step as I m not sure what to do what it Trouble Accessing The "C:\System Volume Information" Folder says in the last sentence How do I get to a C prompt Here is a screenshot of what the command prompt window looks like when I first open it nbsp

Relevancy 94.6%

Ok please bear with me for this I find it very "C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP" Problem- Strange hard to explain and any help would be VERY appreciated I started up my PC days ago I found settings changed everywhere My wallpaper and taskbar were default Desktop icons had mostly disappeared I was getting messages asking me whether I wanted to take the quot Windows XP Tour quot Basically my entire system had changed to how it would be if I had just installed it All my programs were still there and at first it seemed that all of quot My Documents quot had been erased leaving only empty My Pictures and My Music The Files from my iTunes had gone missing as well Strange Problem- "C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP" Later on exploring I found a new folder called TEMP in Documents and Settings which had no real files in it My Strange Problem- "C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP" original folder Nisha where all my stuff actually was was there too with all my files safe in Documents and Settings as well Anything saved to TEMP is erased on the next start up any changes made in settings of programs are also reverted Fearing a virus or something else on those lines I ran Malwarebytes QuickHeal and found nothing I tried deleting the folder but I got a message saying it is a Windows Systems folder and is required for Windows to run properly I managed to delete it once in Safe Mode but it came back named quot Nisha HOME-MAHIM quot And System Restore doesn't work if I try to use it I don't know how to remove this problem it is driving me nuts Please help before I lose my hair and sanity TIA

A:Strange Problem- "C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP"

Your User Profile became corrupted and Windows logged you in with a Default Temp Profile. Go to Start/Run and type control userpasswords and press enter. Create a New User account with admin rights. Log out of the Temp profile you are in and log in as the new user. Go to C:\Documents and Settings and open up your old user profile Nisha folder. Copy the Desktop, Favorites, My Documents, and Start Menu folders and Paste them into your new user profile name overwriting the empty folders.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/strange-problem-c-documents-and-settings-temp-605942.html
Relevancy 94.6%

Is there anyway I can access protected user folders on another hardrive without having to log on to that install of Win XP? I know the user names and passwords, but there's NO WAY (don't ask why) for me to log on, so I plugged it into another system as the slave.

A:Accesing user folders in "Documents & Settings"

If you're logged into the PC as "Adminsitrator" you should be able to access everything.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accesing-user-folders-in-documents-settings.155975/
Relevancy 94.6%

Hello I recently reinstalled Windows XP home It eventually came up with two users Owner and Guest I picked quot owner quot and changed its name to my sister Solved: with Documents Settings Problem in "owner" and s name her computer let s call her quot Sara quot I then added a user account for myself But later she began to have problems finding her quot favorites quot and her desktop didn t always come up the same Looking into this I found under quot Documents Solved: Problem with "owner" in Documents and Settings and Settings quot her user name and quot owner quot However at the startup page where you pick which user account to open there is no quot Owner quot account listed Before reinstalling Windows I m quite certain that there wasn t a listing for quot Owner quot I assume because it had been renamed I am tempted to delete Sara s account just to see if the owner account would show up but worried about unforseen results I had tried to delete the owner directory from the Documents and Settings folder but Windows would not let Solved: Problem with "owner" in Documents and Settings me as it had quot System files quot in it that windows needed to work What I want is for the Owner account to be in her name and to delete her account that s in her name but not the owner account Or a way to force the owner account to show on the startup screen Also while trying to find a way to fix this one of the things I did was to try and create a user account called quot Owner quot Instead it created an acct called quot Owner quot which I deleted but later I found it in the registry at HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer DocFolderPaths Solved: Problem with "owner" in Documents and Settings and I m wondering if is safe to delete Why there are two listings in Documents and Settings that seem to both be accessible by one user is just weird Any help would be appreciated chernozem nbsp

A:Solved: Problem with "owner" in Documents and Settings

Hi, and welcome to TSG

Its never a good idea to rename accounts because a lot of the time there will usually be conflicting between the two user names. Try deleting the account than putting it back and see what happens.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-problem-with-owner-in-documents-and-settings.501863/
Relevancy 94.6%

Hello all. A freind of mine had his Gateway PC crash last night. I wasn't around to help him fix it so he called tech support. They reformatted his HDD but placed all of his files and programs in a "restore folder." Everything is working fine now, but he cannot access this "restore folder" so he can access all his stored data and programs. Has anyone encountered a problem like this before? Is there some Gateway-specific program he needs to use to access the restore folder? He told me he tried to just open the folder but that didn't work. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

P.S. He's running Windows XP Pro. He doesn't remember the model number of the PC, but it was purchased in Nov. 2004, and it was supposedly their top model then. Thanks again.

ejames_nyc

A:Need help accessing Gateway "Restore Folder" (WinXP-Pro)

He can't access the folder...

Is the folder visable or can he not find it? If he is simply being denied access, it may be due to the prior permissions set up on that folder.

How to take ownership of a folder

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-accessing-gateway-restore-folder-winxp-pro.410752/
Relevancy 93.74%

My XP system has just bitten the dust, so I have a new Vista (going to Win7) system on order. I intend installing my old SATA drive in the second slot as D: and this already has all of my existing files on - mostly under My Documents etc. Since I would want to keep all documents on the D: drive is there any easy way to point the relevant user profiles to D: and thereby pick up the existing files as its starting point?

A:XP to Vista using existing "Documents & Settings"

That's a tricky question...I'm fairly confident that the Administrator will be able to access all the files on the D drive, but I don't know how it would work with lower level users. I would think the best way would be to install Vista/Win7, create your user accounts, and then copy all the old user documents into the new user folder.

Perhaps one of the more experienced members has a more efficient way?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/xp-to-vista-using-existing-documents-and-settings-408240.html
Relevancy 93.74%

h drive had windows 7, laptop too slow so i took out the hd. after hooking it up, nothing seemed wrong, till i checked directories. deleted windows, program files, user, etc no prob.. but when you go into "Documents and Settings", the files from c:\user are there.. if you delete a file on g:\Documents and Setting\.... it dissapears from c:\user.... Also. in Documents and Setting\all users\application data\ the "application data" you can keep going down and down for example "G:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data"... etc Go deep enough, it shows in properties "G:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\Application Data"

i want to delete the files without deleting the ones in c:\user. also an explanation for the infinity of application data,,,

A:"Documents and Settings" on h drive goes forever

Documents and Settings is not a real folder, but is designated as a system folder for protection.. It a "Junction" folder, and it is there to allow legacy programs tobe used in compatibility mode the Windows 8 folder structure.
T
You have apparently altered the security permissions, in order to access the folder. In fact, here are no files inside. It points to C:\Users\*your user name*\Appdata and C:\Users\*your user name*\My Documents. The files you are seeing, and deleting, are virtual here are no files inside. When you delete those files, your are, in reality, deleting the original and real files in the path I have stated. There is no way you can delete one, without the other. Documents and Settings takes up no space and, if you follow the defaults, and keep the System files hidden in the options, you cannot see the folder and it should not be any sorce of trouble to your.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/documents-and-settings-on-h-drive-goes-forever.1140819/
Relevancy 93.74%

i've been on 7-64 now for some 3 months. i used to see "documents and settings" -folder, including "all users" on my explorer tree.

from what i understand, this was a junction/shortcut to c:\users\

this morning, however, the whole documents and settings folder is no longer appearing, and with it a bunch of shortcuts that were in the start menu of all users are missing.

this leaves me with a creepy feeling that a lot of other program settings could be now gone.

what could cause this?

how to restore the junction? - i assume that many legacy programs will not work correctly without \documents and settings on the system.

A:"documents and settings" junction? disappeared

You should first check that malware is not affecting your system.

Download this;

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.50.1 - FileHippo.com

and run a FULL scan, after updating the database. If it finds anything post the log here.

This may help you to restore folders;

Public Folders - Restore

There are other tutorials in that section for restoring defaults.

Regards....Mike Connor

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/159310-documents-settings-junction-disappeared.html
Relevancy 93.74%

After my home built Vista PC's boot drive failed I rebuilt the system on a new HDD with XP sp2. After getting the system back I discovered that my failed Vista boot drive was still mountable as a non-boot drive. I can get to most everything on the drive except I can't get to anything under the C:\Documents and Settings directory. I get access denied messages.

Is there anyway to recover anything in those directories?

Thanks!!

A:Any way to access "C:\Documents and Settings" directory?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

follow the instructions here

if you have xp home you need to boot to safemode

joan

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/any-way-to-access-c-documents-and-settings-directory.772714/
Relevancy 93.31%

Hello All,

I have several PCs at home, one with Vista Ultimate (mine) and one with XP Home SP2 (my wife's). Both PCs have personal accounts with passwords. On the Vista PC, I am able to share a folder on my "D:" data drive with no difficulty using the right click Share... menu item from Windows Explorer. I can see and contribute to this folder from the XP PC just fine. What I am not able to do is share the "Documents" folder and its contents from Vista. When I share this folder by the same method, all I see on the XP PC is a "Users" folder and "Default User" within that. I'm guessing that this folder might have special properties that are different than the Vanilla "D:" folder. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

A:Trouble sharing "Documents" folder to XP Home from Vista Ultimate

Yup. Remember back when you put a password on the Vista machine. It asked you if you wanted to make your files private. You said "yes," making all files in your profile inaccessible to everyone but you.

Easy fix. Create a new account on your computer using your wife's username and password. When you share the folder now (and you will have to reshare), she should be able to access them from her computer.

Courtney

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-sharing-documents-folder-to-xp-home-from-vista-ultimate.648073/
Relevancy 93.31%

Hello I've been having some problems with my computer since some weeks ago I decided to change my Document folder from C to D drive since I had games taking too much place into it I created a new folder in my D drive and moved the folder there by using the move method of the folder Since I did that I had some problems with games browsers It was okay at first but now I can't load pages like quot Google Youtube facebook and others quot into Google Chrome amp Moving Documents" Chrome with folder, problem "My Firefox/Google Firefox And I can't download new addons on Chrome It won't load it at all I found a way to get them by using a Portable version of Firefox Google Chrome but every day I have to delete reinstall the portable version cause it won't load them anymore And today the portable version got really slow almost unusable I'm guessing since most of my programs were already installed It caused a problem to them by moving My Documents folder and I'm not sure if there's a way to resolve this problem My computer is actually not English so If I need screenshot or anything else I'll translate them

A:Moving "My Documents" folder, problem with Firefox/Google Chrome

Move that folder back; simply make shortcuts to the subdirectories you need. And, "tell" your programs to save their created and modified data files in D. You can parallel My Documents, have a double on D, copy everything from that C to D. Leave the defaults belonging to Windows OS and programs as, that's my suggestion

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/370547-moving-my-documents-folder-problem-firefox-google-chrome.html
Relevancy 93.31%

Hi all I'm having a weird issue with one computer here drive Redirected - "My can't network folder, shared on Documents" see The quot My Documents quot folder is redirected to a shared network drive Other people can access the files in that folder and edit them The weird thing is that the quot local copy quot of the file does not seem to match the one the other users on the network can see For example I have this Excel spreadsheet Another user on the network made a change to the file In my documents the file size and modification date do not match the new state and if I open the file it does not contain the changes Everybody else on the network sees the changes just fine If I make changes to the file the others cannot see them however they do see quot tmp quot files which I don't see on my machine I have turned offline availability off to try and make sure there is no local cache of the file I have tried quot sync-ing quot the folder restarted my machine all to no avail Seems to me there is a different copy somewhere but I can't find it There is no quot My Documents Redirected "My Documents" folder, on shared network drive - can't see quot folder left under quot c Users lt MyUsername gt quot We are on a workgroup as opposed to a domain Any pointers welcome Thanks Bourgui

A:Redirected "My Documents" folder, on shared network drive - can't see

OK, I removed then re-instated the folder redirection and everything seems to be working again.

Would love to know what happened, but I really don't have the tie to investigate the matter further...

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/278539-redirected-my-documents-folder-shared-network-drive-cant-see.html
Relevancy 93.31%

Hello all Let me start of by saying that I have followed this tutorial User Folders - Restore Default Location and have not had results Additionally I have hard drives An SSD solely for the Windows OS and an HDD for everything else I'm having issues trying to restore the My Documents folder to factory settings I did something stupid I know it's shame on me here and tried to re-route the My Documents folder to my HDD from my SSD because my SSD has considerably less memory I did this by following a tutorial from the Microsoft website Needless to say I default "My after Documents" of folder? Restoring location moving dern ed up and accidentally routed the My Documents folder to BE my HDD as in E instead of the intended E My Documents folder which I didn't want to do The folder then quot disappeared quot but still existed somewhere in the computer I then spoke to a Microsoft support rep who then proceeded to dig the hole deeper by remotely accessing my desktop and fiddling Restoring default location of "My Documents" after moving folder? with the registry Now the contents of the My Documents folder exist in my HDD default directory E and a makeshift My Documents folder exists in the Library section How can I just undo this whole mess and restore the My Documents folder to its factory conditions including the files that were originally stored in said folder SOS I'm about to tear my hair out here Disastrox

A:Restoring default location of "My Documents" after moving folder?

I have always been able to restore any misdirected or lost User folders by following those steps in User Folders - Restore Default Location - Windows 7 Forums.

Exactly what problem are you having when you follow those steps?

If you can't find the actual Shell User folder which should be under your User name, in order to relocate it correctly using it's Location tab as shown in Optiona One, then use Option Two to reconstruct the folder itself.

If by following those steps precisely you still cannot recover the User folder, then ask for more help from the author in the tutorial Comments section, or post back here the exact problem with pictures if possible. Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/368489-restoring-default-location-my-documents-after-moving-folder.html
Relevancy 93.31%

I moved my "My Documents" folder from the C:drive to the V: drive.

All applications except Photoshop Elements 3.0 recognized the move and had no problems accessing their respective data.

However, Photoshop Elements still remembers the old tree structure and cannot find the original files. I tried Photoshop's help to no avail.

Much thanks to anyone with the expertise to resolve my dilemma.

A:Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 and relocated "My Documents" folder

Load the ORGANIZER, click Edit, at the bottom of the dropdown menu highlight Preferences, click on Files. Another window will load, highlight Files.

In the file options box, modify the:
"Save catalogs in", and the "Folders for saved files",

to point to the tree structure where you have moved your MY DOCUMENTS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adobe-photoshop-elements-3-0-and-relocated-my-documents-folder.424062/
Relevancy 93.31%

Hi
Windows XP PC is extremely sluggish and makes a loud whirring noise, so bought a Seagate external hard drive. I inadvertantly moved the "my documents" folder on to it and now cannot open the folder without the hard drive plugged in. how do I move it back to its original home? It hasn't exactly stopped the extremely slow way the PC opens any file or even surfing the net. Please help!

A:Solved: accidentally moved "my documents" folder to external hard drive

Restore the My Documents Folder to Its Default Location
To restore the My Documents folder to its default location, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then point to My Documents.
Right-click My Documents, and then click Properties.
Click Restore Default, and then click OK.
In the Move Documents box, click Yes to move your documents to the new location, or click No to leave your documents in the original location.
Let me know if that works.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-accidentally-moved-my-documents-folder-to-external-hard-drive.922858/
Relevancy 92.88%

I just noticed that there is a new (hidden) file in "my documents" folder called "Default". It is a hidden folder and was not there 4 days ago.

When I check the properties on it it simply says that is is just a Remote Desktop Connection type and it was created August 24th, 2008.

My remote desktop and remote assistance features are not active or loaded.

Is this file normal or not?

Thank you!

A:Solved: Hidden Remote Desktop Connection file found in "my documents" folder

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hidden-remote-desktop-connection-file-found-in-my-documents-folder.744605/
Relevancy 92.88%

Can someone advise me on how to get rid of "Documents" folder created by OneDrive for Business? See the below screen

This PC 'Folders' - Add or Remove in Windows 10

The above mentioned tricks don't work for this particular folder and I can't really find it in the Registry...

I was hoping this was this one {24D89E24-2F19-4534-9DDE-6A6671FBB8FE} described as "OneDrive Documents" but the well-know trick with adding "ThisPCPolicy" string with "Hide" value doesn't seem to work...

A:get rid of "Documents" folder created by OneDrive for Business?

Hello mikolajek,

I don't have OneDrive Business to test with, but you might see if the .reg file below may be able to remove its Documents folder for you. You'll need to restart afterwards to fully apply.

64-bit_Remove_OneDrive-Documents_Folder_in_This_PC.reg

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{24D89E24-2F19-4534-9DDE-6A6671FBB8FE}\PropertyBag]
"ThisPCPolicy"="Hide"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{24D89E24-2F19-4534-9DDE-6A6671FBB8FE}\PropertyBag]
"ThisPCPolicy"="Hide"

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{24D89E24-2F19-4534-9DDE-6A6671FBB8FE}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{24D89E24-2F19-4534-9DDE-6A6671FBB8FE}]

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/33036-get-rid-documents-folder-created-onedrive-business.html
Relevancy 92.88%

I have a very strange problem but thought perhaps someone could help I am Documents" in start Windows "My files won't folder with running Microsoft XP Professional -bit Edition which likely makes my problem even more obscure Recently when I restarted my computer Windows would get to the desktop but the taskbar start menu and systray would fail to load What I Windows won't start with files in "My Documents" folder mean is that the desktop and icons would show but could not be opened but the task bar would simply display as a solid blue Windows won't start with files in "My Documents" folder bar When you placed the mouse over this solid blue bar the mouse would transform into that hour glass thing Note By blue bar I don t mean the standard task bar but rather a two-diminsional bar which was probably the taskbar failing to render What I Did and Strange Result In an effort to save my quot My Documents quot folder I booted into safe mode onto the administrator account and copied the folder to an external harddrive I then deleted the quot My Documents quot folder from my normal account In a last ditch effort I did a normal restart and surprisingly Windows loaded after rebuilding the My Documents folder I then started copying my files back into the quot My Docuements quot folder I then restarted Windows and poof I was back to Windows not loading properly I then deleted all the files in the My Documents folder and Windows loaded properly again I then tried copying a couple files back to My Documents and Windows failed to reload I thought I might have a virus in a file that was in quot My Documents quot did a scan nothing came up After messing around for a couple hours I found out that if ANY file regaurdless of size or type was moved or created or saved etc into the quot My Documents quot then Windows would fail to load Summary If there is any file in the quot My Documents quot folder of my user account then Windows will not load the Start Menu Task Bar or systray nor will it be able to open any files However if the quot My Documents quot folder and all subfolders are empty then Windows works properly Any ideas on what to do Aside from reformatting I could do that but only as a last resort nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-wont-start-with-files-in-my-documents-folder.638493/
Relevancy 92.88%

Somehow the file holding my documents was moved I know where it is but it doesn't show up in the proper place under Libraries when I look at it with Windows Explorer Problem My backup program looks in C users Mark S Bacon to find files to back up position in wrong documents" file folder "my My photos and "my documents" file folder in wrong position music are there and current but the quot my documents quot file was missing I copied it from the library but now I have a duplication in the library and in C users and the C users version does not change when "my documents" file folder in wrong position I modify a file in the quot my documents quot in the library What I copied was not just a link but the entire set of documents I had hoped I was just copying a link to the files Is the solution just to make my Cobian back up look in Libraries not C users Or is there a way to put things back they way they were Would a system restore fix the jumbled folders in C users and the library That would not be my first choice of solution as I would have to reinstall some software that I've loaded since the restore point Or would I I know this sounds like a mess It doesn't hinder my computer use but it screws up backing up Thanks very much

A:"my documents" file folder in wrong position

Hello Mark,

You might see if using OPTION TWO in the tutorial below to restore your "My Documents" folder back to the default location may help.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/287544-my-documents-file-folder-wrong-position.html
Relevancy 92.88%

Here is the error that appears.

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.5512 ModName: ad2mpegin.dll
ModVer: 1.4.0.21595 Offset: 00017618

I have run SFC /scannow and it finished. I am not sure if there was a log created or not, nor do I know if it was a help or if it replaced any corrupted or manipulated files.

Thank you for you help in this matter.

Gerry

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/explorer-crashes-when-i-open-the-my-documents-folder-431618.html
Relevancy 92.88%

Hello all,

This is my first post here, hopefully I'm not duplicating questions, I checked but could not find this one. I'm wanting to copy all of "My Documents" to another folder. This is working but not how I want. Here's what i put in notepad:

copy "c:\Documents and Settings\ac*****man\My Documents" "k:\Aarons_docs"
(I got this info from https://www.computing.net/answers/windows-2000/auto-copy-file-to-a-second-folder/57345.html)

after running it's scheduled run, it is only copying files, not folders...can anyone tell me why this is and how to correct it?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Relevancy 92.88%

I don't know how I did this but when I go to START and then select DOCUMENTS nothing happens at all It just mysteriously disappeared Everything else works just fine I'm flabbergasted really I have no idea what happened It's not hidden - I checked The only way I can access it is the old-fashioned long way c users owner name documents This is a real pain and I'd really like to resolve Start my my in Lost folder "Documents" Menu this Lost my "Documents" folder in my Start Menu There must be a way to do so has to be The Start Menu is supposed to be Quick Links and all the others ones on it open-up function work if you follow me Can any kind and bright members here please help me with this please Pretty please Also how did the folder move What could do this I need to know this to ensure that it never happens again I have Windows Vista Home Premium Edition bit Crossing my fingers and toes here that I can get this problem fixed Thanks all and have a great day -

A:Lost my "Documents" folder in my Start Menu

Hello dottie5917, I am still a bit unsure what you mean "you lost your Documents folder" because you also mention that when you click on Documents in the Start Menu (I am assuming you mean the hyperlink) also nothing happens...let's see...if what you mean is that when you, from the Start Menu, click onto the hyperlink Documents and nothing happens (the Documents window does not open), then, I sugest you do the following: Go to Control Panel/Task Bar and Start Menu/click on the Start Menu Tab/then click on Custom or Personalise/scroll down until you see Documents/then make sure that "show as hyperlink" is ticked...if on the other hand you actually lost one of your folders inside the Documents window just: Do a Search for the folder using its name/transfer back the folder to the Documents window...and sorry but I am unsure what caused either of these situations...hope you can sort it

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/lost-my-documents-folder-in-my-start-menu-341663.html
Relevancy 92.88%

I am trying to access files in a shared folder on my Vista PC from my XP laptop through my wireless home network but when I go to open a file e g Word Document it opens as "Read-Only" Shared Documents Folder open in as quot Read-Only quot I noticed the shared folder on the Vista PC has the quot read-only quot attribute selected on its properties I ve tried unselecting the attribute but it reverts to quot read-only quot every time I do this The folder I m sharing is the quot Documents quot folder on the Vista PC All of the files I want to access from the XP laptop are in this folder and I Documents in Shared Folder open as "Read-Only" don t want to bother with moving them to the quot Public quot folder in Vista Is it even possible to do what I m trying to do That is access files on the Vista PC from the XP laptop through a wireless home network and be able to make changes to the documents so they save on the Vista PC I have followed several step-by-step guides on file folder and printer sharing in Vista and have changed all the permissions to make sure I m able to access the shared folder from the XP laptop I ve changed the firewall settings on Norton but that hasn t helped either I ve also installed the LLTD responder hotfix on the XP Both computers belong to the same workgroup and the network is set to quot Private quot Note I m not getting any error messages when accessing the shared folder The shared printing is working fine without any problems Is there something else that I m missing Can someone please help nbsp

A:Documents in Shared Folder open as "Read-Only"

Hi i'm no expert on this topic by any means, and i hope someone else can come along with a better explanation than i can, but it seems to me that your system (network) is treating the xp laptop as a 'slave' which can access but not alter data on the main pc, i would check to see if there are any settings that might apply to this, or maybe (just a guess) you may have to sign on as administrator on your xp laptop. like i say it's really not my field but hey, you can give it a go for what it's worth. sorry i can't be of much more help to you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/documents-in-shared-folder-open-as-read-only.872777/
Relevancy 92.88%

Hi Hope someone can help me with this or point me in the right direction Much appreciated I am doing this on behalf of a friend She has a Ghz AMD with Gb RAM Gb HDD Win XP SP installed The HDD is Restore System Documents" "My dud folder Disappearing and divided into partitions - OS Documents and Program She has a network with her children s computers but whilst they can ping each other they are not actually networked to each other A week ago she installed Nero Burning and Cyberlink DVD on to her computer Both were installed on the Program partition At that point all her documents and images were in the quot My Documents quot folder on the Documents partition and were all visible and working Within the My Documents folder was a folder called quot My Documents quot which was all the stuff she had brought over from her old HDD Disappearing "My Documents" folder and dud System Restore but not yet sorted and merged with her current computer Three days later after she had started joining and then cancelling her subscription to an online site she found the following had happened - her quot My Documents folder quot in the Documents partition had vanished along with all her word music and photo files - her Webshot photos folder had also vanished - A search through Windows did not turn any of these up I Disappearing "My Documents" folder and dud System Restore personally scanned the whole computer and found no trace of them - All the System Restore checkpoints Disappearing "My Documents" folder and dud System Restore for the last days Sunday to failed to restore the system to what it was prior to the installations System Restore Incomplete - unable to finish or something to that effect - When I ran both the antivirus and spyware programs the AVG run was clean but the spyware turned up tracking cookies but no high level issues She felt running these programs daily chewed up too much time etc etc Even when I told her to run all computers at least once weekly Boot up start the scanning programs get the updates and run them then leave them to do their scanning walk away go do some shopping and check the results when you get back - too easy - Of course she did not do any backups Any ideas anyone Any steps to take Programs to use to try and recover her folders Much appreciated Pete nbsp

Relevancy 92.88%

Here are the facts in the matter I had an older machine that was running barely XP Two things happened--the boot-up on the master drive got corrupted then the machine itself died an inglorious death Now I ve salvaged the drive and installed into an external USB hard box I have a laptop and a desktop that both run XP XP Pro V SP I can access most of the information on the drive however I can t get into the My Documents folder under my Documents and Settings folder The system reports quot Access a Taking Solved: of Folder Documents" "My Control is denied quot According to the MS Tech Center one of the steps I need to do is Solved: Taking Control of a "My Documents" Folder to go into the Control Panel and click on quot Appearance and Themes quot I don t have this option The question is How can I get into this My Documents folder so I can pull the stuff inside it out into the open Thanks for any assistance Jason A Schulz nbsp

A:Solved: Taking Control of a "My Documents" Folder

Take ownership of the folder.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-taking-control-of-a-my-documents-folder.855741/
Relevancy 92.88%

Hi,

When I convert a file from jpeg to pdf, I usually retrieve the pdf file from the My Recent Documents folder. I can see the document there, but when I click on it, I get an error message stating that, "the item "....pdf" has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly". How do I restore? I can open the ones prior to today only.

Thank you for your expert guidance!

Relevancy 92.88%

Hello,
My documents turned into local disk (D when trying to relocate "My Docs" to my second partition. Under the location tab I did not rename the folder and just left D:\. Now local disk (D has seemed to replace "My Docs" folder. Please help me put "My Docs" back on (C.
OS WIN 7
Thank you.

A:Lost "My Documents" folder when trying to move it to (D:) partition.

Hello MJ, and welcome to Seven Forums.

OPTION TWO in the tutorial below may be able to help you get your My Documents folder restored back to the default C: .

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/227775-lost-my-documents-folder-when-trying-move-d-partition.html
Relevancy 92.88%

Skipping why and how, I need help, please!!!

I dragged the "My Documents" folder into the Shared Folders folder, and renamed it "New My Documents".

Well, now I want to un-share(or delete the "New My Documents" folder) but I cannot because I get an error saying 'is a Windows system folded and Windows requires it to run properly'. The thing is, the New and original My Documents folders are mirrors, meaning if I delete something from one, it deletes it from the other.

I cannot un-check the sharing box, or anything like that.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 92.88%

Ok, so basically, whenever I turn the computer on, 3 error messages appear:

- A virtual driver failed to inicialize DLL. Chose close to end the program. H:/Windows/system32/code/pRee.exe

- A virtual driver failed to inicialize DLL. Chose close to end the program. H:/Windows/system32/code/pRee1.exe

- Error loading H:/Archiv~/GBPLUG~/gbiehcef.dll. Couldn't find specific module.

(sorry if some terms are incorrect, my computer is in Spanish, to I tried to translate as best as possible)

Please help me solve this terrible problem, it is really getting me on my nerves! (oh, and if this helps, I've recently donwloaded this so called "Limewire acceleration", and whenever I ran the setup, it didn't work. I don't really remember the name of the website I downloaded it from, sorry...)

A:Can't Open "My Documents", "Trash" or other files in "My Computer"!?

Hi and Welcome to the forum

I am almost certain that you have malware problems. Most like caused by you doing file sharing/ P2P - Limewire.

Suggest that you go here and follow the directions:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...oval-help.html

Please be advised that the malware people are very busy and it could take a couple days to assist you.

BG

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-open-my-documents-trash-or-other-files-in-my-computer-288056.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Hi there,
I downloaded Windows 7 from my university's MSDNAA program, installed it, and everything, and it works just fine. But when I try to access certain folders on my hard disk, like "Documents and settings", I am not allowed to. Even if I enter the Administrator account, it refuses to work.

Ho do I solve such problems with insufficient rights, altough being in administrator accounts? I'm not just searching a workaround for this specific problem.

Kind regards,
Simon

A:Can't access "Documents and Settings"

Hi,
Documents and Settings is not a real folder in Windows 7. It is called a "Junction" and is there to allow older programs to inteface with the Windows 7 folder structure.
The data is now contained in C:\Users\<your user name>\. There are other Junctions as well.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/29447-cant-access-documents-settings.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Hi Gang,

I was researching why it took XP so much longer to do simple tasks that used to be done quickly, like opening files and getting online, when I discovered that I had TWO "Documents and Settings" Folders.

One is inside of the other.

This error probably happened during a reinstall of XP. I have XP sp2.

As you can see from below, the two folders are NOT identical:

I tried deleting the inner DS (documents and settings) folder. I was successful but after I did I couldn't get online. I restored the folder and tried to delete the outer DS folder. I couldn't do that, Windows wouldn't let me.

What do I do with the second DS folder without screwing up my computer? Can I delete certain files from it? Can I deleter it entirely and try to reestablish and internet connection?

What should I do?

Thanks,

HULK

A:I Have TWO (2) "Documents and Settings" folders in XP

Obviously, The outside one is the orignial DS, and you put the inner one in the wrongly position while you install XP on second time.
Solution, If it really slow your job, you can backup the files, format the disk, install a fresh copy of XP and restore your files.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-have-two-2-documents-and-settings-folders-in-xp.536818/
Relevancy 92.02%

HI:

My "documents and settings" is 61Gb and have too many folders:

Administrador
Administrador.LUIS
Administrador.LUIS.000
Administrador.LUIS.001
Administrador.LUIS.002
Administrador.LUIS.003
All Users
All Users.WINDOWS
Default User
Default User.WINDOWS
LocalService
LocalService.NT AUTHORITY
LocalService.NT AUTHORITY.000
Luis de Santiago
Luis de Santiago.IMAGEBY
Luis de Santiago.LUIS-BC0A179854
NetworkService
NetworkService.NT AUTHORITY
NetworkService.NT AUTHORITY.000

The name of the computer when I last install windows is "Luis de Santiago.LUIS-BC0A179854". How can I clean this folders? are there any superfluous folders?

Thanks in advance.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-clean-documents-and-settings.634971/
Relevancy 92.02%

HI:

My "documents and settings" is 61Gb and have too many folders:

Administrador
Administrador.LUIS
Administrador.LUIS.000
Administrador.LUIS.001
Administrador.LUIS.002
Administrador.LUIS.003
All Users
All Users.WINDOWS
Default User
Default User.WINDOWS
LocalService
LocalService.NT AUTHORITY
LocalService.NT AUTHORITY.000
Luis de Santiago
Luis de Santiago.IMAGEBY
Luis de Santiago.LUIS-BC0A179854
NetworkService
NetworkService.NT AUTHORITY
NetworkService.NT AUTHORITY.000

The name of the computer when I last install windows is "Luis de Santiago.LUIS-BC0A179854". How can I clean this folders? are there any superfluous folders?

Thanks in advance.

A:How to clean "documents and settings"

Hello GeneralGato

You can just select the folder's you want to delete, right click and click Delete. But make sure that these accounts are not in used anymore.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-clean-documents-and-settings-186608.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Hello All,

I have my mothers harddrive from another (dead) computer, and she wants some important files from this HD. I tried to gain access thru security and I cannot move the files off the drive. Some Photos cannot be viewed.

How can I get myself full permission of drive.

Thanks,

Cody B

A:Access to "Documents & Settings"

'Documents and Settings' does not exist in Vista, except as a hard link to the Users folder - if your tryng to open it in Explorer give up now before you do some damage

Look in the Users folder instead - it has pretty much the same structure.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/296382-access-documents-settings.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Alright Whats going on here Never seen this problem before The quot My Documents quot folder is dissapearing from the desktop I can go Documents" desktop from "My folder the dissapearing is directly to the folder quot C Documents and Settings Administrator My Documents quot - Copy it and paste it back to the desktop I get a window that pops op and says Cannot copy My Docs folder would you like to create a shortcut I click yes and poof theres my quot My Documents quot folder If I right click on the desktop and quot Refresh quot or reboot the pc The quot My Documents quot folder goes away again "My Documents" folder is dissapearing from the desktop Whats going on here Here is my log -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINNT System smss exe C WINNT system winlogon exe C WINNT system services exe C WINNT system lsass exe C WINNT system svchost exe C WINNT System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINNT system spoolsv exe C Program Files Promise FastTrak FtrakSvc exe C WINNT system gearsec exe C WINNT system gearsec exe C WINNT system smss Home svchost exe C WINNT system regsvc exe C WINNT system smss Home system smss exe C WINNT system MSTask exe C WINNT system stisvc exe C WINNT system Microsoft groups svchost exe C WINNT System WBEM WinMgmt exe C WINNT system microsoft groups explorer exe C WINNT system svchost exe C WINNT system microsoft groups winlogon exe C WINNT system HPZipm exe C WINNT System svchost exe C WINNT Explorer EXE C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe C WINNT System spool drivers w x hpztsb exe C Program Files Microsoft Hardware Keyboard type exe C WINNT System hphmon exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Share-to-Web hpgs wnd exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C PROGRA HEWLET HPSHAR hpgs wnf exe C WINNT system wintftp exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C PROGRA Java J RE bin jusched exe C Program Files FoneSync FoneSyncSystemTray Exe C WINNT system wintftp exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Distillr AcroTray exe C Program Files I-News TrueWeather exe C Program Files Starfish TrueSync TSTool exe C Program Files Kazaa Lite K KazaaLite kpp C Documents and Settings Administrator Desktop cwshredder CWShredder exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer "My Documents" folder is dissapearing from the desktop IEXPLORE EXE C Documents and Settings Administrator My Documents Cleanup Tools hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU "My Documents" folder is dissapearing from the desktop Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO Web assistant - ECB - F - bbc- D- DDF E - C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared AdBlocking NISShExt dll O - Toolbar msdxmLC dll email protected amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINNT System msdxm ocx O - Toolbar Web assistant - B EAC - D - b e- B -A C A A - C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared AdBlocking NISShExt dll O - HKLM Run Synchronization Manager mobsync exe logon O - HKLM Run ATIPTA atiptaxx exe O - HKLM Run HPDJ Taskbar Utility C WINNT System spool drivers w x hpztsb exe O - HKLM Run NeroCheck C WINNT system NeroCheck exe O - HKLM Run Dimension C Program Files D D exe O - HKLM Run IntelliType quot C Program Files Microsoft Hardware Keyboard type exe quot O - HKLM Run Tweak UI RUNDLL EXE TWEAKUI CPL TweakMeUp O - HKLM Run MSNSysRestore C WINNT system pc exe bg O - HKLM Run HPHUPD C Program Files Hewlett-Packard B B-DCAB- - EE - F hphupd exe O - HKLM Run HPHmon C WINNT System hphmon exe O - HKLM Run Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon C Program Files ... Read more

Relevancy 92.02%

Hi I m enduring a rather annoying problem here with mapped drives I am running Windows XP Professional SP I have mapped my quot My Documents quot folder to the letter L along with a few other folders so I could access them through my other PC s Now the problem is whenever I try to save documents or copy files into My Documents I get the error message quot Error cannot copy to L - Check that the drive is not full or write protected quot It isn t full and I ve checked the permissions on the folder and have granted full access to the Administrators group but I still get that message So I just thought it had something to do with the map I tried to disconnect Mapped Solved: "My Documents" Folder it but it comes up with the message Warning There are files still open on L If you do not close these files before disconnecting data may be lost Continue anyway - to which I clicked yes to see what would happen and sure enough all my data was gone I performed a system restore and all my data is back but I m still faced with my initial problem I hope that makes sense I just need to be able to save to My Documents but this surpasses my knowledge Any help on this would be greatly Solved: Mapped "My Documents" Folder apprieciated Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 92.02%

I have lost all the contents of "My Documents".

1) In preparation for getting a new laptop, I "moved" the entire contents of "My Documents", including the directory, to a server directory.
2) Seeing the contents of "My Documents" on C: were still there, I looked at the server directory to verify that all files were at least copied.
3) I then deleted the "My Documents" directory on C:. Then I thought that was odd. I again looked at the server directory and to my horror all files that were "moved" had been deleted as well. No files are in the waste basket either!
4) A recover program has been run on my C: drive. The program can not find any files to restore from a "My Documents" directory.

Any hope?

A:"My Documents" folder moved and lost

That sould be recoverable to some extent if you have the right utilities.

This is a good thread as you should copy rather than move, verify after the transfer, then delete!

Moving and deleting over a server is different than on a laptop or workstation. There is no recycle bin in some cases.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-documents-folder-moved-and-lost.134701/
Relevancy 92.02%

I sent the contents of the my documents folder to my desktop.There were way too many icons on my desktop so I sent them all to the recycle bin and deleted them.My Documents folder is completely empty and so is the recycle bin.I cannot find them anywhere and These documents are irreplacable.I tried a system restore and everything and tried to undo the delete.I need to know if there is a way to retrieve ALL THESE DOCUMENTS?There were over 90 of them.Please help!!I have no money to take the computer somewhere either!Im using winxp home on an hp pavilion desktop.
Thank You!!

Relevancy 92.02%

Just tried to move my son s Matthew quot My Documents quot folder to a new internal hard drive as have run out of space on main drive This hasn t worked properly and I m not sure what to do next - I don t want to make things worse Would be grateful for advice please I first backed up his quot My Docs quot folder to an external drive gone Documents" not wrong sure do what to - Folder "My has Moving then followed Microsoft s instructions How to change the default location of the My Documents folder which were as follows - Click Start Right click My Documents then click Properties Click Target tab In the Target box I typed M Matthew MyDocuments M being the new drive I clicked Yes to create folder then clicked OK Moving "My Documents" Folder has gone wrong - not sure what to do and the files started transferring Moving "My Documents" Folder has gone wrong - not sure what to do After a short while an error message appeared saying something couldn t be moved because a program was in use which it wasn t as far as I Moving "My Documents" Folder has gone wrong - not sure what to do could tell I clicked ok then I think nothing else happened In view of the time it took I assumed that there had only been a partial move I looked in the new location to see what had been moved and what the size was as I knew his quot My Docs quot folder was approx Gb The folder was only Gb with a few random folders files in I then explored the folder structure and looked at the size of quot My Docs quot from different perspectives I can t think of the right word and this is what I found I assumed that the size would be consistent On the C main drive On Start Menu - My Docs Gb Start - My Comp - My Docs Gb Start - My Comp - Documents and Settings - Matthew Gb was before this move Gb which I assume is Gb minus the Gb that has been moved On the M new drive which was the target location for the move My Docs Gb First of all I was surprised to find only Gb on the new drive and in the location from where I moved My Docs I obviously expected it to be Gb if the move was successful Would the My Docs folder the source of the move have had Gb in and somehow most of it has been deleted Should the My Docs folder from wherever it can be found within the folder structure of the system be exactly the same size ie Gb Or will it vary as seems to be the case I m not sure what to do now and I don t want to make things any worse I would be really grateful for some help if you can make sense of anything I ve said I know I ve rambled a bit I have got a very angry son on my hands nbsp

A:Moving "My Documents" Folder has gone wrong - not sure what to do

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/moving-my-documents-folder-has-gone-wrong-not-sure-what-to-do.884648/
Relevancy 92.02%

Hi all, in order to optimize the main OS SSD I want to install the "My Documents" folder (or its equivalent in Windows 7) in my 2nd internal data drive as it occupies a lot of space in my main OS SSD drive. How can I do this? Thanks

A:How to install "My Documents" folder in 2nd drive

There are a number of things you can do.

The simplest is to just move your documents onto the other disk and include the folder created in the documents library.

Slightly more complicated you can follow this tutorial to move the default MyDocuments location. User Folders - Change Default Location

If you want to move your entire user profile follow this tutorial. User Profile - Change Default Location

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/243766-how-install-my-documents-folder-2nd-drive.html
Relevancy 92.02%

I am using Ultimate Two days ago I was tempted to try I E D L it but decided it wasn't for me Did the uninstall in quot Add Remove quot Later I realised that my yellow folders from quot My Docs quot etc down to folders I'd gathered work in would not now open with left clicks only with R click and quot Open quot The message I get is quot This file does not have a program associated with it for folder is the What file of Documents" "My kind performing these actions Please install a program or if one is already installed create an association in the default programs control panel quot how do I define my quot yellow quot folders in What kind of file is the "My Documents" folder order to assign 'em What kind of file is the "My Documents" folder to something that will open them with If I drag quot My documents down to the taskbar and pin it to Windows Explorer then it will open from there with no problem I gather that Windows Explorer is the programme to link 'em to but how

A:What kind of file is the "My Documents" folder

Its not as hard as you think, follow this. You will be given a choice of programs that can be used.
Open With - Change Default Program
if you need an associaton, this is how that is done
Default File Type Associations - Restore

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/111843-what-kind-file-my-documents-folder.html
Relevancy 92.02%

I backed up my "my documents" folder to my external HDD before formatting. I just checked and for some unexplained reason the only thing in that folder is a desktop.ini. All my files are gone...unbelievable....i can't believe windows screwed me like this....

Is there any way to recover them?

A:How do i recover a lost "my documents" folder?

Run desktop.ini and see what it opens in Notepad. You might get lucky.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-do-i-recover-a-lost-my-documents-folder-696721.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Hey ya'll !!! Happy Holidays!

So, I'm having some work done on my computer via another thread or two, and since I've been so engrossed on looking at all the stuff on my computer, I noticed something that I really haven't paid any particular attention to until recently. When I click on Start>Explore I see that there are two folders called My Documents. They each have the same subfolders in them; i.e., My Pictures, and other documents that I have.

Are these duplicates???!!! And if I delete one of the two, will it mess up anything? (Gee, I wish I could ask that better, but do ya'll understand what I'm trying to ask?)

Peace & blessings,

Hope

Relevancy 92.02%

I have a second hard drive, D: I relocated my Personal Documents folder to this D: drive. I must have pointed to the drive instead of a folder on the drive. Now I can't get it back to the default "C:\User\Charles\Documents". I right click on the drive, properties, location, restore default. It shows the right location. Click ok. Say yes to moving the files. Then get error "Failed to build the list of regular subfolders under "D:\System Volume Information".
Can anyone help me?

A:New Vista User - Need To Fix "Documents" Folder

Hi cstout and welcome to Vista Forums

Have a look at the following Tutorial (and the related links within): Personal User Shell Folders - Move Location

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/195770-new-vista-user-need-fix-documents-folder.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Well as the title says I have a bit of a mystery My documents folder has been emptied and I can not find its contents anywhere on my system My first thought is that I some how deleted the files but none of them are in my recycle bin The files where not that large that they would have been permanently deleted and I have not emptied my recycle bin As far as recent activity aside from updates I recently removed my AV software and upgraded and empty folder Documents" - Mystery "My I tried to install an older version Power DVD that was not compatible with Vista I can't imagine how either of which would have any effect on the quot My documents quot folder What ever it was only effected that folder all other folder types pictures-movies-music etc are all Mystery - "My Documents" folder empty intact I have ran a system scan and nothing has been detected on my system I guess I would like to know if there is a way I can back track and see if I did some how delete the files in which case I can Mystery - "My Documents" folder empty try to recover them and or Mystery - "My Documents" folder empty if there was something that caused this to happen that I can avoid in the future Thanks - Rich

A:Mystery - "My Documents" folder empty

I thought that in Vista it is just called "Documents" instead of "My Documents". Maybe a program created the "My Documents" folder that you're looking in. I thought all my documents had been deleted but they hadn't moved at all. Hope this is the case and you're documents are safe, if not, there are many more experienced people here to help you.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/mystery-my-documents-folder-empty-436885.html
Relevancy 92.02%

How do I recover quot My Documents quot folder to it's default location I recently added E Data Deleted Libraries folder "My in Documents" folder in one Deleted "My Documents" folder in Libraries on my Libraries under Documents and relocated all my files in quot My Documents quot folder to E Data folder and assigned it as my 'default save location' as clearly shown in fig During the process I may have inadvertently deleted the quot My Documents quot folder as it is not showing in the navigation pane fig I've tried locating the folder but it's really gone Systems File Checker found no anomalies as indicated in fig I may have also deleted my quot Public Folders quot but that's not the issue I'm trying to solve right now and besides there's a tutorial somewhere here regarding missing 'public folders' I would just like to know how do I recover the deleted quot My Documents quot folder to it's default location I have tried 'restoring libraries to default locations' feature and unhid the hidden folders view option still no quot My Documents quot folder Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you for your time

A:Deleted "My Documents" folder in Libraries

Have a look at this tutorial:
Libraries - Restore Default

This may also help: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...b-ef3fe7d24893

Failing that, you could try a system restore to a point before you made any changes.

You could also try creating a new user account then delete the old one.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/195315-deleted-my-documents-folder-libraries.html
Relevancy 92.02%

I have about 1000 tmp files in my My Documents folder, they're labeled pos2A0, pos2A1, etc all the way to posFFF. My system has been acting weird for at least a month, but all of these files are new (at least to my knowledge) today.

Everytime I resart my computer it takes a couple hours before you can actually use it, you can move the mouse around but it wont click on anything and random black sploches will pop up over the start menu and the menu at the bottom of the screen

Today is the first day that I have seen the pos files. I right clicked them and it showed that they were created at the time that I restarted the computer

can someone tell me what to do?

A:1000s of "pos" files in My Documents folder

Closing duplicate thread.

I will leave your other post open since it has a hijackthis log in it.

http://forums.techguy.org/malware-removal-hijackthis-logs/682041-1000-pos-files-my-documents.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/1000s-of-pos-files-in-my-documents-folder.681987/
Relevancy 92.02%

Hi Gang,

I wish to place on my desktop the file that contains "my recent documents" and so forth that I was accustomed to with Win 98SE. I cannot find it in windows explorer.

I do understand a similar one is located in the start/my recent documents, but the list is small and limited. The other one has a list of twenty or so with other files also listed.

Any help? I have made the folders so I can see all of them to no avail.

I have WinXP.

Thanks,

davidrs

A:Locate "My Recent Documents" Folder

Simple... Create a new shortcut and have it point to the Recent docs folder. For example:

C:\Documents and Settings\PROFILE_NAME\Recent

Note: Instead of "Recent" you will see "My Recent Documents" since the folder name "Recent" is hidden in Windows Explorer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/locate-my-recent-documents-folder.356000/
Relevancy 92.02%

I am new to Windows Vista and do not understand why two file folders keep replanting themselves in my "documents" folder every time I reboot. These folders are: "Updater5" and "My PSP Files". I do not know what either of these folders are referring to. They appear to be empty, yet (even though I delete them) they keep coming back as if they are designed to be in this folder for some reason. I have even tried moving them to the C: drive for safe keeping, but they keep re-copying themselves here. I don't really care if they are on my computer, I would just prefer if they were somewhere out of my way- I like to view my "Documents" folder with only those files and folders that I have placed there. What are these two folders for and how can I get rid of them?

Relevancy 90.3%

I am trying to help an elderly neighbour.
It is not possible to open "Documents" from her Start menu. There's a momentary flash but no window opens.
When I save a Word file, supposedly in "Documents", it saves the file into a blue folder titled "Documents" on the Desktop. I can access this folder but no earlier files are there.
There should be many files saved on the hard disk but the only way to find them is to type their file names into the Search field. When I go into Properties for these search-resulted files, it states that they are in "Documents" but this folder is unobtainable from the Start menu and the blue folder on the Desktop does not contain any files (except the ones I created today to test).
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/400169-broken-documents-folder.html
Relevancy 90.3%

I've just partitioned my new W7 disk and was attempting to redirect My Documents, My Pictures etc. to the data partition (E). Somehow I lost the My Documents folder. It's not in C and I don't see it in the E partition. Could it be that the E drive became the My Documents folder? There is no way to set the folder back to default cause I can't find it to click "properties" and then "move".

Relevancy 90.3%

Hey guys. This is my first post here so if I've got the wrong thread or anything just let me know

So I was deleting some files today and it seems that I accidentally deleted my "Documents" folder, which had some important stuff in it. Like I said, it just happened today; is there a way to restore it in tact?

PS. I've already emptied my Recycle Bin.

Thanks!

- MMC

A:Recover "Documents" folder...

Very easy download shadow explorer and it will be back
www.shadowexplorer.com

That should work, but if it does not download recuva and it will be back.
Use the computer as little as possible until recovery.
http://www.piriform.com/recuva

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/288547-recover-documents-folder.html
Relevancy 90.3%

I changed the location of my Documents, Pictures, Music etc. from my C\ drive to my D\ drive, no problems. Went to move my Documents back for a program to work properly and I dont have a locations tab, which means its not the real Documents folder. Checked the regedit\current user\...Shell Folders and the personal is just D:\ without a folder name, Im guessing it got deleted.

How do I make a new Documents folder, one that I can edit the location in properties?
Thanks

Jackson

A:Making a new "Documents" folder

Hello Jackson, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You can delete the bad Documents folder (backup first though), and use OPTION TWO in the tutorial below to restore the registry entries for it to restore the folder as well.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/58542-making-new-documents-folder.html
Relevancy 90.3%

I am trying to help an elderly neighbour.
It is not possible to open "Documents" from her Start menu. There's a momentary flash but no window opens.
When I save a Word file, supposedly in "Documents", it saves the file into a blue folder titled "Documents" on the Desktop. I can access this folder but no earlier files are there.
There should be many files saved on the hard disk but the only way to find them is to type their file names into the Search field. When I go into Properties for these search-resulted files, it states that they are in "Documents" but this folder is unobtainable from the Start menu and the blue folder on the Desktop does not contain any files (except the ones I created today to test).
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

A:Broken "Documents" folder

Have a read of this:

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/400169-broken-documents-folder.html
Relevancy 90.3%

when i click on my documents, nothing shows up
i know its there tho because when i use photoshop i can access everything in the "My Pictures"
anyone know the problem?

A:nothing in my "My Documents" folder shows up

http://groups.msn.com/no1stuna135/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1

go there and look

i keep getting that popup

also... i wnt to my c drive and there is no Docume~1 file.. wuts up with that?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/nothing-in-my-my-documents-folder-shows-up.227752/
Relevancy 90.3%

Yesterday I upgraded to WIN 7 Professional after having to do a reformat. Everything was fine after the upgrade, until this afternoon I noticed my "My Documents" folder is locked I am the owner and have full rights but yet can't get in! I am attaching, in order, of the messages I am getting. Any suggestions? I have no idea if I pushed a button I wasn't suppose to or what happened, yesterday was fine! I haven't installed anything after the reformat except for Firefox, PSPX2 and Incredimail. Any help will be appreciated! Thank you so much, debbie

A:"My Documents" folder is locked

You are trying to get into the wrong folder. That is a junction!
You need "C:\Users\Debbie Doodles\Documents"

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/258079-my-documents-folder-locked.html
Relevancy 90.3%

Hi there I have a problem and any kind of suggestions or help would be very much appreciated I can't not save to Documents folder It doesn't matter if I'm on a internet browser and want to download a file or i'm Can't "Documents" Folder save to not in Paint trying to save a drawing xD when It asks me to browse a location of where to save I can go anywhere quot Downloads quot folder quot Favorite quot folder or any obscure folders I may create BUT whenever I browse the location to save Can't not save to "Documents" Folder as to the quot Documents quot folder my user name Documents It freezes up into the loading orb and no matter how long I wait nothing happens So now I can no longer save to that document However when I'm using my window explorer I can access that folder without any problems and access files I have in it Thank you so much for any suggestions or solutions I am very frustrated and it means a lot

A:Can't not save to "Documents" Folder

The target might be wrong. Go to Start your account name (Username) locate the Documents folder right click on it and see where the target for the folder is. Post it here.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cant-not-save-to-documents-folder-639487.html
Relevancy 90.3%

As of late I've been having issues with my copy of a game called Borderlands I start the game fresh have folder? "Invisible" Documents My fun and decide to call it quits for the night I save and turn it off Next time I play it I find my save file not saved at all and my configurations for the game have reset as "Invisible" My Documents folder? well I looked into the problem and I found out that it's a common issue among users with "Invisible" My Documents folder? multiple partitions Found one of the fixes to be to just manually create the folders the data is saved The directory for the first folder was located in quot USER NAME My Documents quot so I navigated to that directory Didn't see a My Documents folder so I had decided to create one myself Lo and behold in my first attached screenshot Win tells me there is already such a folder located there At this point I'm pretty confused since I have all hidden files and folders showing as I have displayed in the second screenshot provided So I have an invisible My Documents folder I can access it by manually inputting quot USER NAME My Documents quot but otherwise I can't see it nor can other programs seem to interact with it I have no idea what's going on with this so as this posted thread implies I need some assistance here from Seven Forum's best lol Thanks in advance and I apologize for the long post

A:"Invisible" My Documents folder?

Have a look through these Bro see if that helps -
Users folder hidden
Hidden Files and Folders - Show or Hide

Danny

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/185447-invisible-my-documents-folder.html
Relevancy 90.3%

Can the Default "My Documents" Folder be changed, so that when you click file>open from within a program, it automatically goes to the folder you specify?

I know how to do it from the office products, but is there a global setting that can be changed?

Relevancy 90.3%

Hey, everyone,

Once upon a time, I had only one "My Documents" folder. At some point, though, several months ago, a mirror one appeared that automatically and instantaneously mirrors whatever is put in one or the other. If I put something in one, it instantaneously appears in the other one.

Though they show up at two different locations in Explorer, they have the same path in the address bar.

I've attached two screenshots to show what I mean.

So, my questions is, which one of these is the real one? Can I delete the old one? There is a TON of stuff in the "my documents" folder and I really don't need TWO on my computer taking up hard drive space.

Relevancy 90.3%

Had my first "XP Blue Screen of Death" recently.

HD needed reformatting and XP reinstalled, luckily the Tech saved most of "My Documents" folder.

So I got to thinking ......... might be time to start doing my own monthly backups. The folder comes in at 1.2 Gig ...... too much for one CD-RW.
Most of this is taken up by the folder I use to store my mp3's in, which is at 850 Meg. I dont want to start splitting folders manually. Is there an application which will automatically split it across numerous disks with minimal intervention from me ??

Thanks in advance ................. SP

A:Copying "My Documents" folder

Hi espee

I don't know of any software you could you but why don't you simply purchase a backup device? Freecom provide usb external hard drives that simply plug in to your pc and show as an extra drive. They have about 40 -140GB of disk space on them, plenty of room.

Check this one out:

http://www.iomega-europe.com/eu/shop.aspx?category_name=HDDPortType
Just a suggestion

P

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/copying-my-documents-folder.266939/
Relevancy 90.3%

Hi,

I'm having a problem with the "My Documents" desktop folder (Windows XP). It does not open at all. I can move it somewhere else on the desktop...but when I double-click or right-click on it nothing happens.

It's not that big of a deal, because I can still access the folder through "My Computer" or "Windows Explorer", but I just thought it was a strange error. No other problems exist with the computer at all.

Any ideas? Thanks

Relevancy 90.3%

Hi,

I know this may have been discussed here before, so bare with me.

I would like to create a My Documents folder with the same properties as in Windows XP. The reason for this is so I can have multiple machines setup to use an UNC path shared across a network.

I like the new Documents feature in Vista, but want to leave it alone for users to do with what they like.

Thanks,
Ted

A:Would Like to create a "My Documents" Folder

Why not just make a newly created "documents" folder shared across the network- all network users will be able to read/modify the data within.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/205465-would-like-create-my-documents-folder.html
Relevancy 90.3%

I kept deleting my My Documents folder, because I was playing around with modifications on it. Well after I deleted it, I cannot rename it My Documents. Look at my pic, in order to get a new Documents folder I had to name it My Documents_what. When I try to name it My Documents, it says that a folder with this name already exists. Please some help.

A:Cannot rename a folder "My Documents"

It appears that you are creating a Library, and not dealing with the actual folders.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/179936-cannot-rename-folder-my-documents.html